Hotwire

Hotwire

3.9/5 (641 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: April 16, 2022

I made a reservation for car rental through Hotwire. I just tried to cancel within 1 minute of the reservation after came to know about hidden charges of taxes and fee. I wanted to cancel my reservation as taxes and fee are more than rental price. I called them to explain the fee but they were not able to explain. I called again to know about these charges and I came to know that they are collecting fee in name of government tax. Hotwire said I can’t get my refund once I paid. I would have given Zero star for this company but there is no option for zero here.

Original review: April 1, 2022

I booked with Hotwire trying to find decent priced flights and I paid for the insurance as well because I have a surgery coming up and wasn’t sure if I needed to reschedule. I called Hotwire to cancel my flights and I literally was given the run around, I spent over an hour on the phone just to be bounced around and be on hold. While on hold I also tried to use the chat option and I got Jahz, I was told I could not be helped and to call the line I was on hold with at the time. I spoke to a total of 5 reps that fed me the same story and got nowhere, I never got anyone to assist me as they hung up on me. This is not professional and not how you treat paying customers at all! My next move will be going higher and involving my lawyer if this is not resolved. Just book through the actual company, don’t go through a third party like Hotwire, it’s literally a waste of time.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I got to the hotel I reserved through this app after 10 hours drive to find no reservation even though I had a confirmation number from HotWire, and I fully paid. I had to find another accommodation, and I received no help from customer service.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Writing to get refund on my Hotel booking as was promised by Hotwire representative. Hotwire ticket # ** Case id **. On Feb 20 I called Hotwire customer service within 24 hours of booking my hotel to cancel reservation as wrong location was selected. I was suggested of two options. Option 1 Hotwire would try to contact Hotel and get full refund. Option 2 was that 40 dollars would be placed in my Hotwire account and remainder $234.80 would be refunded to my credit card. On Feb 25 when I called I was suggested by Hotwire representative that Hotel was successfully cancelled and I would be refunded full amount after few days. I called Hotwire representative again on Mar 5th to find out that instead I was refunded 0 dollars and $234.80 was placed in my Hotwire account. Can you pull up the calls with representative and help me get my refund as I was suggested by Hotwire reps on Feb 21 and Feb 25.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I went through Hotwire for a trip in July 2020, which was cancelled due to COVID. Car rental of 1200$ cost. They gave me back HotDollars in exchange, for 18 months... Just up to end Dec 2021, still during COVID limitations / no travel. Finally they refused to allow me to use my HotDllars in 2022. In other words they stole me 1200$... They say they have no other way than applying the policy... I'm sure many other customers lost lots of dollars. Don't go there, they're not going to help.

Original review: March 4, 2022

Don't be fooled by fake positive reviews. This company has literally no customer support. There may be some deals, right. But if something goes wrong or you simply need to change something - you are on your own. Local hotels are perhaps so-so. In the worst case there's always another hotel near by. But flights or vacations? Save yourself from big troubles with this crappy company.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Rented a car with Hot Rate, Airline canceled and changed flight which gave us the option to cancel or accept the new change, due to business plans the new times did not work so we canceled the flights. The policy to refund or credit if airlines cancel are false. In today's climate I would not suggest ANY HOT RATE purchases.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I spent two full days of my working days, trying to change my reservations and still will be dealing with my credit card reimbursement process,.. They charged me twice and did not apply credit from my cancelled reservations to my second reservation.. One agent on the phone lied that she can't find my reservations, my name and any of my data, she was on the phone for any hour with me.. Cheating and pressing money from me and I think Hotwire has to bed gone, it is not a service, it is total scam..

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

What a horrible way to spend our precious vacation time. 1) Gave us a hotel on the wrong island, 2) took $40 to ‘cancel’ their mistake, 3) REBOOKED with hotbucks, before they 4) refused to price match.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I tried using their hot rate deal. I choose the 5 start options and was presented with 3 options, 2 of whom are real 5 star hotels whom I’m familiar with and the other an hotel I didn’t know but assumed is a 5 star hotel as advertised, of course they booked for me the latter and then when I looked it up I was shocked it’s a 3-star hotel with horrible reviews about bugs and mold in the rooms. I spent hours with their customer service on the phone just to get the phone hand up in my face multiple times. Beware of them, they are a fraud.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I went to a trip in Turkey and I reserved two hotels through Hotwire. I had issues with both reservations: the first one I reserved a room for 3 adults, they gave me only 1 double bed after reservation was finalized. The second hotel was suppose to be a 4 stars hotel but when we got there it was nothing close to 4 stars, stain on carpet, shower was dirty, a construction site next door and they were literally pouring concrete at 9 PM and etc... I tried to call them and get help, I was on the line for 15 min for each hotel and both got disconnected without receiving any help. So it means after you reserve something through them, that's it, you are on your own with no support whatsoever.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I booked a hotel on Hotwire which had a rating of 2-2.5 stars, upon arriving the hotel was a dump and even on their own website reviews, it had 1 start rating as the majority. This is false advertising, also Hotwire refused to refund my monies. Their website is set up where you can`t even submit pictures or documentation to support your case. Clearly they are not customer friendly.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Jan.01 2022. I chose to book a hotel at CDG Paris through Hotwire Hot Rate. I knew the hotel that I would be getting and this site offered an additional 10% off rate with code HWAPP10. I completed the Book Hotel page, inserted the code, and the total came to US$82.98 with discount. I was directed to payment page, filled out credit info with name & address details, then tapped submit. The confirmation came back with a charge of US$90.48. They charged an amount that I hadn’t agreed to! I called their service number only to receive a reply that they could give me a credit, or they could call the hotel to cancel. They would not refund the overcharge. Hotwire took money that was not authorized, then would not return it. It is a small amount, that over many transactions adds up for them. In my opinion this is illegal and criminal behaviour. This site cannot be trusted! Avoid Hotwire.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I wanted to cancel a car that I reserved for a trip to see my father. My father called to say that he thinks that he have COVID. For me to cancel my car, they asked for my father's name. I told them that they don't need that information but they wouldn't cancel my reservation without it. The rep said that they don't ask for personal info anymore related to COVID, but I tried to tell her that my father's name in personal information. I will never reserve from Hotwire again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

This is a fraud business, they post good deals then the website automatically change the location of pick up and drop off right after payments. Afterward, they take money and refuse to change or refund the money back. Then they charge more double the advertised prices or take the whole payment without using service. They are time waster, not respectful.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I have used Hotwire for awhile, did give good deals, discount, service was ok. Then I don't know what happened within the last year it seems just has gone to heck. And they don't care. I needed a room last month was in San Jose Ca so I looked up on hotwire found a hot deal, tried to book the room, get to the very last tab to slid the bar to book the room. And bam its tells me "oh no something went wrong, but don't worry you didn't get charged. Please try book again later." So it's happened before, well not exactly like this time, but anyway tried to book again same thing. So thought oh well something wrong with the site. So I just went to the hotel to book the room to see. Sometimes the hotels will give you the same rates.

As I was booking the room with the hotel my card wouldn't go through. Went online to see what's what. Well they (hotwire) did charge my card both times, took all my money $160. So couldn't get the room so I tried to get a hold of hotwire. You know there's nowhere on their app that gives you a number to call them or contacted them at all. Anyway googled it, got it, tried calling them. Can't talk to them, the switches to texting someone. What a joy that was. The first so called customer text rep was just a real lug to say the least. We go through this ridiculous verification process to verify I am me and it's my account. He said he couldn't verify me with the answers I gave him which just Infuriated me so needless to say I didn't get anywhere with that lug.

So tried calling back again, got another text rep who did verify me only to inform me he couldn't help me in anyway after had explained I have paid for a service and hadn't received any service and now no compensation. And no way to get another room as well as now be sleeping in my car on this cold night without any blankets. Hotwire should be called Hotair as that's all received. The text rep had informed I have to call their risk management as that's who has locked up my account and would be the only one that could help but it's after hours, have to call tomorrow, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for contacting customer service. Then the text rep had the nerve to send me a survey on the quality of my customer service experience outcome. Which was a 0, same as the like the star rating with hotair or hotwire which is a no star. If you have a minus stars it would be a minus 10 stars.

The so called risk management I think locked up my account because at the last min of booking the room they didn't think it was me so instead of just locking up my account without taking my money they took my money then locked up my account. Some risk management. They now tell me they can find the transaction. It falls off in a few days and my financial institution will refund me or they will have to file an investigation. What a joke.

I will never ever use hotair or hotwire for any type of service ever. I'll walk before trying to rent a car, I'll walk before ever booking a flight, I'll sleep in my car before booking a room. Oh wait I already had to that. They're a joke, shouldn't be in any type of booking business at all. I would never recommend anybody using them and if you do use at your own risk. I don't waste time or energy on anything I can't control. What I can control is how well I treat other people. Consumers beware of Hotwire. Nothing but hotair.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I had the worst experience I have ever had renting a car. I made a reservation for car rental thru Hotwire, they selected Dollar Rent a Car. I arrived at Dollar’s Houston Hobby Airport counter on Friday at 7 pm (within 1 hour of the reservation), there was a sign instructing to go straight to the shuttle, I waited for the shuttle for more than half an hour while seeing shuttles from every other rental company pass in front of me. I decided to call Dollar and they said that the office was closed (at an airport location on a Friday at 7 PM!!!!) and they couldn’t do anything because the reservation was made thru Hotwire.

I contacted Hotwire and they provided ZERO assistance. After renting a car from a different rental company (and getting late to my appointment) I have contacted Hotwire several times because the rental was pre-paid, I have explained to them that they didn’t provide a warning while the reservation was made, they (both Hotwire and Dollar) didn’t contact me before closing the office even though I had a reservation, they didn’t provide assistance or solutions afterward and are refusing to issue a refund based on policies which is basically stealing money. On top of this, they provide no options to speak or chat with a supervisor. I warned them that I will proceed to reject the bank transaction, write a Nasty review, avoid using Hotwire ever again and make it one of my goals in my life to let everyone I can what happened. Their response is that they respect my decision. I am very impressed with the Quality of Customer Service!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I used to think Hotwire was a site to go with bookings for savings. Well this year 2021, I finally tried to book my first trip. Not realizing Hotwire prices are so bad that I do not recommend anyone using this website anymore. I book a rental car for 9 days and it came out to $1400. Then my friend went on another website Costco Travel we got the same type of vehicle for number of days rental for $900! I felt I was cheated by Hotwire.com. The worst part I can only reach there customer service via TEXT. They explain the only way they can assist is to provide me a CREDIT. So another words I need to get ripped off again if I wanted my REFUND back! Costco Travel has full REFUND policy so I suggest EVERYONE to use Costco Travel versus this Junk Hotwire site. Trash101!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I live in Canada and I am a ROAD STAR driver. Therefore my insurance covers my car rental insurance in USA. When I booked through Hotwire, I declined the insurance. I paid my Hotwire car rental. When I arrived to NU Car rentals in LAX I was told I have to pay for the car insurance because international travellers has to pay. I paid the insurance in hopes to get reimbursed and not to have my trip ruined. They charged me 32$ USD extra per day for 5 days. $200 Canadian that I was not prepared to pay. HOTWIRE NEEDS TO UPDATE THEIR RENTAL AGREEMENTS THROUGH THEIR VENDORS!!!! “DO NOT RENT THROUGH NU CAR RENTALS.” I have been talking to the NU Car rentals where ever they are… but LAX has their own location and they aren’t even answering to my emails. Literally a Mickey Mouse outfit!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I made a car rental reservation for one day and paid $112 which seemed like a good deal considering it was for a Chevrolet Tahoe or Yukon. However, when I went to the rental car place, Sixt, they were charging me an additional $500 at the time of pick up. I requested the full Coverage insurance of $36 and there was a $200 deposit. However, unsure how the final pick up charge was $500. Therefore, this one day rental would have resulted in a total of $612. $112 paid to Hotwire and $500 paid to Sixt.

I called Hotwire and asked them for a refund as this is a ridiculous amount for a one day rental and an additional $500 at the time of pick up was nowhere in their fine print. I spoke to someone through the chat who stated since it was a hot rate there was no cancellation or refund and after insisting gave me Hotwire’s number. I called four times and each time, they either couldn’t hear me or just hung up. Needless to say. I did not get the rental and lost the $112 I paid Hotwire.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Terrible. We booked a room through Hotwire that was supposed to sleep 3. They gave us a queen which was fine but then I slept on a soiled pullout sofa where it looked like someone dumped on the mattress, the linens had hairs in them but the worst part is it has springs you feel through the old thin mattress. Hotels should say if they are counting a 35 dollar old pullout as a true bed. Priceline does not but Hotwire allows them to get away with it. They wanted 72 dollars to upgrade to a room with 2 queens. Don't book here if you have 3 people or more unless you like the feel of a wavy mattress and springs in your back. Customer service said, "Type of bed is not guaranteed so live with it." I don't count a couch as a bed unless it has a real mattress.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Horrible customer service, steals people money off credit cards, no good at all. Tell whole bunch of lies to keep your money. They have no respect for people money and no compassion whatsoever. Just disappointing. Very irate people at Hotwire. Service makes no sense.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I book one night Hotel with them. I decided to Cancel I call spoke with the agent she told me I can cancel and get full refund. After three days I check my credit card account I got charge I didn’t get my refund so I call them back they said no one promised me I can get my refund back. Don’t trust Hotwire they just still you’re Money bad customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Having a terrible time with Hotwire customer service, getting in touch with a live agent. I entered both my associated phone number and itinerary number and the automated service does not recognize the number. This is terrible service and when I got on chat, they said they can't help me and call at a less busy time. I can't imagine ever dealing with this again, a huge lessons learn for future airline, hotel and auto reservations. It's because when I called the airlines they said I need to call hotwire.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I booked a car rental with Hotwire. I did not see there was a fine print that it was not changeable. I needed to change it and they would not let me even though they had plenty of time to rent the car to somebody else. I am just not used to be unable to change car rental reservations. They should put it in Capital letters. I an any case I gave them $400 and got nothing. Very bad experience!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

BEWARE....They make you prepay, then they will assign you to a subpar rental company. In my situation, I was assigned to Sixt which closes early at the location of pick up. My flight was delayed due to weather. While ALL OTHER car companies were still open at the airport pick up location, this particular car rental company closed early, leaving no alternative for vehicle pick up. I immediately contact Hotwire (at 11pm) and they said they could not assist me that Sixt (the following day) was my ONLY option. I contacted Sixt first a.m. and they told me that Hotwire was my only option. After going back and forth for several hours, I received no resolution and Hotwire informed me that they would NOT issue a refund (although weather is out of my control). BE AWARE....DO NOT PREPAY FOR ANY SERVICES.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The HotWire.com conspires with lower quality hotels, such as Le Reve Pasadena, to exploit customers. The hotel Le Reve Pasadena is a slaughterhouse. It is between Highway 210 and E. Colorado Blvd. The rumbling sound is so strong that I did not sleep one minute in the whole night. Basically, you will be killed there. You even cannot escape the slaughterhouse. If you escape it, you will not get refund.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I booked a hotel stay due to a Layover at LAX. Unfortunately, my flight was changed six times due to the pandemic and I no longer needed the hotel stay. I contacted Hotwire to request a credit or adjustment but I was denied. I’ve used Hotwire a number of times, so I understand their policy. However, I’m disappointed that Hotwire refused to make any accommodations after showing proof of the flight changes. That said, I will no longer book travel through Hotwire. #Dissatisfiedcustomer #Buyerbeware

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021
The Hotwire advertisement said that this particular deal was a 3-star hotel. It gave you a variety of choices for the hotel. And after purchasing the hotel, it was a no-name brand hotel. That hotel brand name was not in the suggestions upon purchasing. And once we get in the room, it was full of roaches, dirty towels, sticky floors. The air conditioner and television did not work. The main reason for the complaint is that the hotel staff weren’t wearing masks. And it was a horrible experience.
Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I purchased a rental through them, and had to cancel 16 days before pick up for reasons beyond my control. I called customer service and was treated unfair and disrespectfully. I even tried to compromise and ask for at least a partial refund and was told no. The supervisor was totally unreasonable and disconnected the call prematurely. They kept saying they understand but wouldn't let me talk nor listen to what I was asking. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN.

Hotwire Company Information