Hotwire
2.74/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Hotwire Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Almost 3 weeks ago I booked a 2 night hotel room (not a secret deal, ie. full price) via Hotwire. I used my debit card for the transaction and after entering and sending all my information I got a message saying the room I wanted was no longer available. Now that I'm back from my trip I notice that Hotwire charged my debit card for the room, they never sent an email or any sort of notice they did this. I called them and they say that the reservation wasn't made so the money should have been returned in 3-5 days to my account. However, it's been almost 3 weeks and the money HAS NOT been returned. They don't want to help me investigate what's going on, take no responsibility for this charge and don't even provide a complaint ID# so I can track this. Terrible customer service and they are robbers for taking my money for a reservation that was not completed. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Hotwire is great until you find a price match. I booked 2 hotel rooms for one night, and 3 weeks prior to reservation I found a match on Expedia for $400 LESS. So I contacted hotwire right away. They said to send pictures of the deal so I did. No response. So I called and they said send them again. So I did. No response other than the email that said "We got 'em! You'll hear from us within 5 days". Never did. So I called again and they said to send the pictures again. This went on for 2 months, now past the reservation date so of course they would start off every phone call saying "it's past the reservation date" and I would explain every time that I had been pursuing the matter since 3 weeks prior to the reservation date.

When I finally freaked out on them on the phone (5th? 6th call?), they said to send the pictures AGAIN so I did. And then I got a response saying that the deal I found was in Canadian dollars and therefore they wouldn't match it. Well I had converted the deal into Canadian dollars and had the first person I had spoken with said 'the deal needs to be in US dollars'. I would have converted it back. For the record; I had mentioned it was in Canadian dollars in every exchange via email and phone that I had. Anyway. Long story short; I used to love hotwire, but I'll NEVER use them again after dealing with that level of incompetence and blatant run around to avoid living up to their price match guarantee. Ultimately shocking, time consuming and torturous. Not to mention I'm out $400. Shame on you hotwire!!!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Delayed Flight arrived after midnight. Had a prepaid car reservation through Hotwire with Alamo. Alamo had already closed, leaving me stranded at the Halifax International airport. Thankfully Avis stayed open to service the delayed flight. I deal with a TBI (traumatic brain injury) from a car accident. This makes it difficult to get tasks done timely.

When I called Hotwire to get a refund I was told they couldn't issue a refund because I hadn't called them from the airport. I'm sorry I have have a brain injury and had been traveling all day. Hotwire left me stranded and says it's my fault for not calling them and for waiting several months to bring it to their attention. After explaining the situation to a Supervisor I was told they would not make an accommodation for a disabled person. There is the letter of the agreement and doing what's right. Don't expect Hotwire to make accommodations for the disabled. Just relating my experience. They have lost a previously loyal customer.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Never ever book with Hotwire. They conveniently lost our HotDollars, which are Hotwire Dollar used for future purchases even though we have emails showing that we have them -- and they haven't expired yet. The story began when We had originally booked a hotel about 10 months ago for 3 people and they only had a room for 2 when we showed up after a 7 hour drive 9 months ago.

After a two hour phone conversation with multiple supervisors, they agreed to refund our credit card and offered the aforementioned HotDollars as a conciliatory gesture since they told us we would have to backtrack an hour to find a replacement hotel that was 1/2 a star less and didn't get nearly as good reviews. We tried to redeem those HotDollars tonight (9 months later) and in their system they don't exist. We even forwarded the emails to them. They didn't care. Zero customer service. I even reached out to the President of the company, Neha Parikh, who didn't even bother responding back. Don't ever trust Hotwire.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Rated a 4 Star by Hotwire - Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Australia::: From the moment we entered the room, we could tell we were in trouble. The 8 foot glass sliding door that opened to the dressing wardrobe was hanging on a thread. Despite notifying the front desk immediately that we would soon be impaled by glass shards the size of a small iceberg, no action was taken. Moving into the bathroom, one could easily feel the warm dampness of mildew cutting the airwaves.

Looking at the placement of the toilet, wedged firmly in the corner, if you are 6 foot or taller, be prepared to do your best yoga stretches before entering. Nothing spells comfort than performing a diagonal poo since your legs will never fit in the space provided. Your partner will love you for it as the angle makes for a good take on the "Reverse Kanga"! As you contort your body into a pretzel-like position, be sure to take in the views. From counting the rings of dirt on the bathtub, I would have to gauge that the bath is approx. 35 years old. The unusual placement of the towel rack above the toilet bowl only adds to the excitement when standing from your contorted pretzel pooping position. If you are lucky like I was, the poop wasn't the only thing to hit the side of the bowl.

If you are into cramped hotel spaces, possibly a cardboard box may suit you better than this overpriced, overrated, rundown hotel. I think the only reason why they put the Gideon's bible in the side draw is because this could be your one and only way out of this world. Enter at your own risk, my fellow trendsetters and never believe in the star rating!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Reserved a FULL SIZE SUV, through Hotwire but company was THRIFTY, When arrived at car rental the customer service rep was giving me a Kia Sorrento, I told him that when I reserved it was a full size suv, description was CHEVY TAHOE, FORD EXPEDITION, NISSAN ARMADA ETC. Never was there a Kia sorrento in the description. On top of that he wanted to charge me $80 extra a day plus I was charged a deposit which I never have been charged. I contacted Hotwire about the situation. Customer rep asked me the same question over and over through the whole chat. Customer service rep seemed like they wanted to get off the chat already, no knowledge and tells me they the rental company gives whatever is available. When I went to get vehicle there was a row of full size suv. Be careful with Hotwire and thrifty car rental.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

We booked through the site months in advance for a hotel reservation at a small college town, Stillwater, for homecoming weekend. When we got to the hotel there was one car in the parking lot and hotel was closed!!! Knocked on locked front door and the security guard came to the door to say hotel closed for remodeling and that they had been telling Hotwire.com for months!!! Called hotel's customer service, she put me on hold to call hotel, while I’m standing there with security going. He tells her same thing!! She tells me she will try to find us a room, but I knew she wouldn’t, it’s a small college town that gets booked up months in advance. We drove 1000 miles to get there and no room!! Then she has the nerve to tell me she won’t charge me a cancellation fee and she’ll give me back my money!!!! Never, ever again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I was researching renting a SUV in San Jose Costa Rica. I had been looking/watching rates for a month. The airport code is SJO. When I entered that code, SJO, on Lowfare.com one of the sites it took me to was Hotwire. Unknown to me that site changed the code to SJC = San Jose California. I booked a car, when I reviewed my booking I noticed the error. I called Hotwire within 10 minutes of the booking and the refused to refund my money citing that I had booked on a Hot Rate program. I didn't notice that but they didn't care that their site changed the location. Why did it do that? Because Hotwire doesn't have a Hot Rate program in Costa Rica. No money back but they credited my Hotwire account - which I did not have, but had to establish. Never use this site!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Hotwire will confirm flight bookings when the flight does not actually exist. In my case, they booked a 2-way trip from Calgary to Bangkok and back. They apparently "confirmed" my booking for the last leg of my return trip. But when I went to check in with the airline, they mentioned flight does not actually exist. I ended up being stranded in Vancouver and having to book a new flight altogether. Their customer service will not help you, nor will you be getting a refund for a flight that does not technically exist. Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I recently booked a vehicle and had added charges by the rental company and had a hotel not have a room available. Hotwire was no help in resolving either issue. I am still fighting with the rental car company to reverse incorrect charges and I had to pay extra for a last minute hotel and hotwire refuses to refund the difference because I didn't ask permission first. I only had a couple of available options and I selected the least expensive one. It was only $20 more. I would understand if I picked the $500/night hotel when my original booking was $80 but I selected the $100 hotel.

Hotwire Company Information