2. Travel
Hotwire

Hotwire

3.8/5 (1391 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: June 26, 2021

I tried to book a hotel in O'Hare airport in Chicago from Hotwire. From Hotwire's map view I selected an area southeast of O'Hare airport. However they got me a hotel in northwest O'Hare airport which is about 10 miles away. I tried to contact Hotwire customer service but was told that the hotel doesn't permit cancellation. They can only credit me Hotwire dollar minus $20 cancellation fee. I don't want to pay $20 since it is Hotwire's fault to put me in a different area but the customer rep. told that is all they can do. I then asked the rep, "I will still have to pay $20 cancellation fee if you put me in NY?" The answer is "yes". Be careful with Hotwire since you are not guaranteed to get a hotel in the area you selected.

Original review: June 22, 2021

We booked the hotel with Hotwire. We went to hotel and were informed they are sold out and as such hotel cannot provide a room to us. We had to find another hotel to stay and ended up paying more. We had to call Hotwire and it took long time for someone to answer the phone. Not a good experience. I was refunded for my stay but that was it.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Hi, I’m writing this review about Hotwire, a company used to find hotel, auto and travel reservations. I rented a vehicle through them and was not able to pick up the vehicle. I contacted them and asked if I could get a refund for not receiving the vehicle but was denied. I understand they have company policies but did not want to give a partial refund or a rain check style of vehicle reservation. I do not approve of anyone using this service.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Booked the Sierra Lodge in Three Rivers CA thru Hotwire. There was no mention in the hotwire ad about fireplaces in the room. The room reeked of smoke and creosote and had ashes on the floor. I was getting nauseous from the smell. We did not use or stay in the room. Hotwire would not provide us a refund even though it was a safety hazard and I offered them the receipt to show we stayed at another hotel in town.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Buyer beware of Hotwire pricing! The price Hotwire quoted me for a car rental from Dollar was not the final price I had to pay (Dollar adjusted the price) -- when I got to the Dollar counter I had no choice but to pay 75% more to Dollar than Hotwire quoted. When I went to Hotwire to get the difference they refused to refund the difference. When I asked to speak with people higher in the organization -- they refused. How can one make a good price decision/comparison when the price Hotwire quoted is not the final price? I will not use this company again!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I found a "Hot Deal" on a car rental for my upcoming business trip and read through all the fine print including the no cancellation, non-refundable clauses and made sure I remained vigilant when entering my dates and times for the online booking. I entered my payment information and again confirmed that the information needed was correct before clicking submit. A screen came up with a little animated character that said "Sorry, Something went wrong. Don't Worry it's us not you" which prompted me to refresh the page. Once doing so my payment was submitted and I received a confirmation only the dates were wrong.

I immediately called customer service to inquire the matter but was met with refusal to assist in any manner. Claims that nothing could be done even though this was no fault of my own. I collected text messages also stating the situation less than 10 minutes after the payment was taken. Now there is a vehicle in Atlanta waiting on a day that I will not be there. This is very poor business practices and should have been easily resolved. The car company Sixt said that since it was just a day difference that it would be no problem at their end to accept the changes, however Hotwire would just send them the info. Hotwire representatives even refuse to do this. Consumers...Please shop elsewhere for a company that actually respects their customers.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I booked a vehicle and due to their website, they automatically placed the check out date the day after the original booking date. I realized this error and immediately contacted Hotwire. The customer service representative said she could extend the vehicle booking date, as a favor to me, however, the cost of the extra days was double the original price quoted stating that the vehicle prices fluctuate. Sure they have decent prices, however, the website is very tricky and one must double, triple check their dates. If you make an error, the (NO) Customer Service will not assist in any manner to accommodate.

Original review: June 11, 2021

We rent a car through Hotwire. They take our money from card and provide us information about Sixt rental company in Orlando FL. Work schedule. Sixt rental they send us is 24 hr. We rent our pick up car at 11:30 pm. Flight was a little bit delay and we came to Sixt counter at 0:30am...and we kiss empty counter with work schedule 6am-:-11:59pm. Hotwire provide us false information. We take car from other company what was open 24hr. Hotwire refuse credit our money back.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I had to contact Hotwire's phone support to make a slight edit to a reservation. I called on Sunday night at 9 PM. I waited on hold for nearly three hours until the call dropped and had to start over.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I booked a hot rate auto rental for Indianapolis for an athletic event. I was shut out of the event because of Covid limits on participants. Being that I've utilized Hotwire 33 times prior, I felt certain that I could cancel or rebook for a new event in Atlanta. The event was during the same time frame as my original booking. I called "customer service," messaged Hotwire and all I got was non negotiable stall tactics. Buyer beware.

Hotwire Company Information