Hotwire
3.05/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Looking for a travel site?

1460 Hotwire Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I was traveling from FL to Texas and needed a car for my family and so I booked a car using Hotwire online. I waited for a confirmation number and never received it, So I waited a few more hours and still no confirmation number. Thinking that my order do not go through I tried booking it again and did received a confirmation within minutes after placing my order. Assuming that everything is OK I picked up the car in Texas and went on to enjoy my vacation with my family. I checked my billing statement a few day later from my credit card company only to find that Hotwire double billed my credit card.

The price of the rental was $377.00 Hotwire billed me twice and refused to give me a refund stating that all sales are final. My question is how can you billed me twice with only one confirmation number. And even more insulting is that the rental car company only charged me $345.00 for the rental which is over $30.00 less so it was more expensive dealing with Hotwire. I put this situation in the hands of my credit card and will post an update once this is resolved. But please do yourself a favor, stay far away from Hotwire. They are SCAM!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

My wife booked a hotel reservation thru Hotwire. When booking they sold her trip insurance, stating it covers unexpected emergencies. The day before our reservation she was admitted into the emergency room with internal bleeding, she was kept overnight and had a procedure the next day to stop the bleeding. She was discharged at 3pm, since we are 7 hours from the hotel and she can’t travel today we tried to cancel reservation. The representatives for hotwire transferred me to an insurance agent after talking to the supervisor, insurance agent told me to get my refund they need a letter from the emergency room doctor saying my wife was under their care. Quite the scam, I’m sure the Dr. has all the time in the world to write me a letter for hotwire. DON’T BUY THE INSURANCE!!! Will never use them again. Disappointing is all I can say.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Do not use HOTWIRE!! If you have a problem with a reservation and cannot use the reservation you made. Hotwire will not refund your money, even more than a month out. Do yourself a favor and use another honest company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

HotWire confirmation number: Itinerary # **. Price Paid to Hotwire: CAD 418.53. For the Same room and same dates Hotel Price on their website: CAD 257.89. I had a very bad experience doing reservation with Hotwire. I planned a trip to Calgary, Banff and Jasper and used Hotwire to book hotels for my stay. They charged me the double the amount what Hotel was charging for those days. Also sent screenshot of the hotel page of the amount what hotel was charging as a proof to there support team. I talked to their supervisor named Christine from customer support.

I booked Holiday Inn at Hinton AB and when I checked in and while logging into the WiFi network it takes you to Hotel homepage before it lets you surf internet. I checked the hotel price for the same day and was shocked after checking the prices they were too low compared to what I paid. Was still confident with the Hotwire services that they will resolve my concern but when I called they were like, "Sorry we can not help. If you need a refund talk to the hotel management." Firstly, I paid money to Hotwire not hotel directly and not sure what they paid to hotel and basically none of my business too. Secondly, The way they talked and treated me was like they were putting me on a hard spot and I still talked to Hotel and they said that if Hotwire can talk to them they can resolve but Hotwire denied to talk to them.

I called Hotwire and asked them to cancel and refund me the whole amount so that I can rebook through hotel to get the right price. They denied that request and were like, "Cancel if you want but we will not refund anything." They also said, "If you want to go and complain go ahead. We do not worry about such small issues." The experience was horrible with Hotwire. Would recommend all not to book through them ever as they only care about their profit and looting, cheating customers by getting more money from customers.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Two choices given for hot picks price. Hotwire gave same star rating to each hotel. Paid the price. Found out hotel was Baymont not Holiday Inn Express in Kearney, NE. Baymont is a disgusting rundown hotel. Definitely not on the same par as Holiday Inn Express. Hotwire’s advertising was definitely misleading. We signed the terms of agreement so don’t expect we’ll get a refund. However we will NEVER use Hotwire again!!!! With the myriad of ways to post reviews which reach thousands of people, Hotwire might want to consider being more honest in their hotel ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Hotwire is a SNEAKY SNEAKY company! I booked a hotel that was advertised to be 1.1 miles (1.77km) to the destination I needed to be able to walk to for an event. Upon booking the reservation I was sent the name and address of the hotel that I would be staying at. I then learned that the hotel is actually 8.33 miles (13.4km) away which takes 2 hours and 31 minutes to walk. When I realized this I called the company to ask to move me to a closer hotel or refund my money. The rep told me she couldn't refund my money because this was a "Hot Rate" hotel booking and they don't offer refunds on those bookings. I explained that I understood the rule, but this was not a cancellation because "I changed my mind." The information that was presented to me was FALSE! I said Hotwire's website CLEARLY STATED that the hotel was 1.1 miles away from my destination and that was the only reason I booked a 3 star hotel that cost me $200 CAD.

The rep told me that the 1.1 miles represents a straight line distance, NOT and address-to-address distance and because the service is a blind booking they can't give precise distances. I explained that I understood that, but 1.1 miles and 8.33 miles (12 km) is quite a big difference. She refused to help me. I asked to speak to a manager. After explaining the situation to the manager and telling her that I felt like I had been tricked/taken advantage of she explained the same thing the rep did. I got pretty upset at this point. I said, "Listen, Hotwire is a huge company and they falsely advertised information on their website. I know that you know that's not right. I know that you know that they are being sneaky by listing distances by how the crow flies rather than address-to-address when they clearly have the information. I need you to make this right. Either book me in a closer hotel or refund my money. What was represented to me was a lie."

The manager proceeded to tell me about the "Hot Rate" hotel policy and that they would NOT be issuing a refund. I told her that I was really disappointed in their customer service and the fact that she made no effort to correct the misrepresentation. She told me that WE (meaning Hotwire) stand by our decision. So here I am on a Friday night writing a bad review for a company that treated me poorly. I don't like writing bad reviews, but I feel compelled to because what this company did was wrong. I have worked in customer service for 30+ years. I can handle it if mistakes are made, service is slow, employees were less than ideal. I don't like it, but I can handle it. What I can't handle is when a company (especially one as large as this) and its employees do something wrong and won't make it right.

No apology. No “We'll credit you a portion back so that you can taxi to your event since we made a mistake on our website.” No “We'll give you a voucher for your next stay with us.” Nothing!!! Just…”Yes, we know what did was wrong, we're happy we have your money and we stand by our decision to take advantage of you.” I will NEVER use this company for travel bookings again. I hope you won't either. PLEASE SHARE.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I booked a car rental this morning and selected the Phoenix Mesa airport when searching for rates. I found a great rate and booked it. When I received the confirmation it showed Sky Harbor airport which is not what I selected. When I called, less than 5 minutes after booking, I was told I could transfer to the Phoenix Mesa airport for 4 times the cost of what I thought I was booking at Sky Harbor. When I complained of this bait and switch the rep, Alejiah, admitted that they do this to offer rates at surrounding locations. You should not have to check your pickup location once you clearly request where you want to pick it up. Horrible company with deceptive practices. I

Original review: July 30, 2019

I used the "Hot Rate" feature to pick a hotel on my recent trip to Washington, DC. I was staying in the Georgetown area, so of course, it didn't matter which hotel they gave me, they were all going to be nice, right? It said I would have one of the 3 hotels shown - one I had never seen or stayed at before, but I was okay with that. After all, it's Georgetown.

I happen to get the one I had never seen before. Great! I've stayed at almost all of them over the last 10 years; it was going to be an adventure! I arrive and when I walk in there is a jackhammer noise to my right. You couldn't hear anything! I look over and they're smashing out a wall. It was a rainy day in the DC area and inside the hotel was humid. They inform me they do not have a restaurant yet as they are under renovation (so much for that promised restaurant, Hotwire). Yellow tape prevented anyone from walking in and out each doorway, tools were spread along the lobby floor and 6 workers in construction gear were carrying wood. They assured me that even though they didn't have a restaurant they would have "snacks" (these were later set out as crackers (saltines) and water. Yum). I go to my room and the walls are dripping with water. The bed is wet. Everything is wet with condensation.

I call downstairs and they apologize and tell me it's because of their "old pipes". I lay down to rest. I had come to DC due to a doctor's appointment at GWU Hospital and I have been seeing a specialist there for many years. This experience was one I had never had before. I couldn't even rest on the wet bed. The place smelled of mold. I request a new room. They said they will come up and bring fans to try to make it dry. Two hours later: now, it's cold and still wet. I request a different room again. Upon relocating down the hall, a man walks around the corner, nude, holding a plate against his male anatomy. Now, I'm confused and I don't know what's happening. The new room is dry and I'm thankful. I was then informed this was an old dorm own by the university that was being converted into a hotel. I tell myself it can't get worse.

I may be starving at this point and needing to find a place to eat now, but at least my new room is dry. Next morning, continental breakfast time!! A cafeteria tray with bottled water on it and mini muffins from Costco on a folding table by the table saw. Yum. Is this real life? Keep in mind, in Georgetown, hotels are usually not under $250-$350 a night. A good night would be $175 and those are veryyy verryy rare. This trip is already a disaster and not up to standards to the rate I paid, not even if I paid $100 would this be okay. I get into an argument at this point at the front desk about the fact my shower isn't working. I feel comforted by the Swede who is extremely upset about getting stuck in the elevator and letting them know all about it. I'll refrain from the rat story, but I had no idea they could grow up to almost a foot long!

At this point, I'm going to call HOTWIRE. The ones who gave me this "hot deal". I tell them this entire hotel is under construction. They act like they don't believe me. So, then they say they have to call the hotel to "confirm". Okay, go ahead, I'll wait. The customer service rep comes back and tells me 'yes, they confirmed the hotel is under construction'. Really? I had no idea. THEN, tells me that they cannot refund my money because I had already spent one night there. I request for them to put me at a different hotel. They tell me they're all booked. So, were they all booked yesterday, too? Would I have even been able to change had I called? Then this guy tells me he would give me $50 my next hotel room. How is that going to help the current situation? At this point I hang up, leave the hotel and spend my day outside now that it's sunny. It's just a hotel, right? A place to lay my head at night (as long as it's dry).

I go to book my next trip with this $50 compensation and it says I can only use it on a HOT DEAL!!! You mean I have to go blind into another possible disaster again?? Get out! HOTWIRE! Seriously? You really did not fix any problem and to even give me a $50 voucher for my next hotel and not tell me it's for a HOT DEAL is ridiculous. You should have found another hotel for me in the DC area (there are hundredsss) and gotten me out of there. Never again.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I booked a hotel through Hotwire and this is my experience. It says in the website 4 star and stuff so I booked the hotel and I paid $187 for this. I went to the hotel. From outside it look like a house first impression then I was trying to open the door door was locked. There was no parking in the front so have to park far and walk. I try to call the hotel no one was answering so I went back and call Hotwire and try to cancel and they said I cannot cancel. It's a nonrefundable booking and they said I should have wait more time in front the hotel and they are open 24 hr and I told them I have my child with me. He is special need. Still they were not willing to give my money back so people booking through this site very careful.

The hotel name is Fashion Boutique Miami South Beach. I will rate this hotel in my opinion 1 star because I stayed 5 star level hotel and Hotwire customer service was very bad too. If it was my fault I will accept but the door was locked and Hotwire people say the front desk people may be in break or something so people go there wait outside to someone to open the door. I never went to to hotel like this. Door is locked.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Booked with another couple. They booked 2 nights. I booked 2 nights. She landed Loews Boston Hotel. It was a definite 4 star. I landed Boston Park Plaza. The hotel may be 4 star but the room ranks below a lower floor cruise cabin. So small no luggage rack, shower was maybe 22 or 24 inches wide 3 feet long. Found gnat type bugs in bathroom. Bed was small. Frames around doors old and painted over peeling paint. Carpet shredding by bathroom. And they charge a 25 nightly resort fee with no extra amenities like bottles water or nice glasses. Nope cheap plastic wrapped glasses. Not sure how they check the rooms. It the secrecy deal for a four star room did not work for me. Could have paid the same price and got a nicer room somewhere else.

Hotwire Company Information