2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Hertz Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

This is a huge thanks to Gabby, that works at Hertz Sheraton Vistana Villa HLE. I rented a car (Economy Suv) couple of weeks ago for 2 days for my road trip to ST Augustine. I signed for the empty petrol return in exchange of 39 dollars, but I wasn't satisfied with that. At the end of the journey I haven't use all that gasoline, when I returned the car, I spoke with Gabby and she was so kind and understandable that she took care about my issue in a excellent manner. Thank you Gabby! You're Amazing! See you again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We took a trip to Minnesota this past summer and had to rent a car as there were 4 of us. Normally we just take a shuttle service but we needed a car for our use during our trip. I have mostly used Hertz as my go to for car rentals. This trip was no exception as I made reservations with Hertz. We needed a toddler car seat and it was provided to us for no charge (some companies charge for the car seat). We chose a compact car that fit our budget. When we got to the rental desk, Hertz had all the paperwork ready to sign and go. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and we were headed to our car. They were out of the size car that we ordered and they immediately upgraded us to a larger SUV and no additional charge. Add to this experience were all the great smiles and service from the rental desk through the gate person. I will definitely use Hertz in the future...

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The vehicle was great riding in it, but gas to keep it up was very expensive. Two weeks $84.00. That is only going when necessary. Dodge Grand Caravan 2019. I own a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox 4 cylinder very good on gas. It runs great. I can ride a month on $80.00 going anytime I want to. It's very easy on the pocket.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Just want to commend one of your employees for outstanding service. After being told that the Hertz location I was directed to no longer existed (why didn’t Hertz contact all of the customers with open reservations let them know that particular office was closed???), a Lyft was arranged by Hertz to drive us back to the city center. Manny was not only friendly and understanding, but he straightened out our reservation issue and got us into a vehicle in less than 30 minutes. Thank you Manny for making a difficult and annoying situation 100 times better. One star for Hertz the company for not keeping their customers informed about crucial changes in their reservations. I expect more from a national chain. Manny saved you a repeat customer.

- Corina

Original review: June 25, 2019

I want to take a minute to recognize one of your employees who I feel went above and beyond to help me. Her name is Connie and she is in the IT department. The problem with my reservation was actually not something that should have been sent to IT. Despite that, she took the initiative to contact reservations and apply my coupon appropriately and fix the problem. I am still waiting for a confirmation email but felt moved to review CONNIE (Badge # **) because of her eagerness to help me, pleasant disposition and therefore - superior customer service. Please recognize her for this at least in an email. Thank you, Connie!

Sincerely, Heidi **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: May 20, 2020

I travel for work. I often rent vehicles. Early on I used Hertz but didn't like the car selection offered to new Hertz customers. I flew to Austin TX for a few years. Near the end of that time I switched from Avis to Hertz for my rentals, since I had a loyalty account upgrade and liked their selection and "choose your own" option. I like trying out different cars. The first few rentals went well. The cars weren't always super clean but clean enough.

On my last trip out to Austin, I was late for my flight and Hertz was super busy. There were no Hertz representatives available. I elected to use the instant return feature (they had a separate drop-off lane for this) and went on my merry way. I had done this before and gotten a receipt in a few hours. The next day I realized I hadn't gotten a receipt. A few days later, no receipt. I called Hertz at Austin airport and got sent to voicemail. I left a message and never heard back.

A few WEEKS later I got my receipt. They overcharged me by several hundred dollars. A bit of investigation turned up that they had not checked in my car, which was parked right in the middle of their "instant return" lane -- whose whole purpose was for these drop-offs. I was in Austin for three days. They charged me for two weeks.

Thus began the back-and-forth with Hertz customer service. I would call and log a complaint. They would promise to check into it. A few weeks later I would call and check. On the first call-back they said the initial report was closed but could not say why. Second time, they said it was still active and "bumped up the priority". A few weeks later I got a partial refund. I called back once more and that went nowhere.

Long story short, my company paid for the three days I actually rented the car. Hertz refunded a few days worth and I am out about three hundred bucks. Don't be like me. Always get a receipt. And don't trust Hertz. They don't trust you, and they are not competent -- at least not for their "instant drop off". I trusted them and they screwed me over. For my part I will never rent from Hertz again. Trust me, that is lost revenue for them that far outweighs the few hundred dollars they swindled from me. I rented from Avis literally hundreds of times and never once had a problem like this, even when I couldn't stick around to make sure the car was checked back in.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Absolutely worst experience ever. We rented a car for a Saturday pickup to attend a funeral for a very close family member being held out of state. We received a confirmation number and the payment was made at the time I made the reservation. I got to the location to pick up my vehicle at the confirmed time and no one was there. They were closed. I could have easily picked up the rental on Friday evening but no one told me they would be closed on Saturday. We were not able to go to the funeral, which was devastating. On top of that I had to call the corporate phone number to get my refund and was told it would take 7-10 days. After the 10th day with no refund I called back to find out the refund was never processed. Now I have to wait another 7-10 days. Horrible customer service, we will never, ever, ever rent from them again and I suggest you do the same.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I rented a car in Sao Miguel Azores from a Hertz kiosk at the airport, things were so nice and people were very friendly, until I return the car, a week later. I returned the car to the same place and I asked for a clean invoice and was told not to worry about, everything was good. I didn't have much time before we boarded the airplane back to Canada. A couple of months later I was given an invoice for a scratched window, which is false. The end thing is, I contacted head office in Africa, the dealer and with no results. I couldn't go back to Portugal and take them to court and they knew that. I will Never Trust Hertz, especially in Sao Miguel Azores. Beware of Hertz.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I was overcharged. Brought it to the attention to corporate and they refused to issue a refund after they issued it to a close account. I advised them that the payment was sent back but no one tried to look into it and make sure I received my money. I paid the overcharged to my credit card company which put me over my credit limit then I closed the account. All I wanted was my refund. Corporate doesn’t care about their customers. They have people working local branches that doesn’t check the cars in a use them for their of personal use. I will never use Hertz again!

Original review: May 5, 2020

I rented a car from Hertz for six straight weeks and I wish that I had picked a different company because they billed me incorrectly and it's a massive headache that is tarnishing my credit (hopefully only temporarily). They billed a card I specifically asked them not to bill, despite me trying to pay my bill several times while I had the car. Hertz outsources their US driver customer service to Thailand and the departments have no cohesion. They insisted I pay at the counter, but the counter was closed early because of Covid. I called them, afraid to leave the car without settling the bill and they said leave a note and promised they'd call to do it in the morning but they didn't and when I called they said call Thailand, and when I called Thailand, they said, call billing and when I called billing, they said your rental is closed, we can't honor our promise to bill you on the card you asked for.

They also added $35 per week to my bill in a very sneaky way and I had to spend an additional two hours getting that adjusted. My average wait time to speak to an agent every time is about 45 minutes. I've never spent so much with a company to be treated so poorly. Hertz is incompetent, irresponsible and has dysfunctional customer and billing services. I even filed a BBB complaint, but Hertz shirked any responsibility to provide help. A $3,500 bill went onto a card with no rewards that was due in 2 days, instead of the card I planned to use that would give me a huge reward and didn't require payment for a month. I would never had used Hertz if I couldn't pay how I want to. And it's not even that they don't take the card, they just failed to provide the customer service they promised and now they claim it's impossible.

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information