1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2209 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I tried renting a car through the Lyft program and was informed I was on the dnr (do not rent) list due to identity theft and fraud. I was told that they caught this person and their mistake of not checking the license number to make sure the names on it and the name in the system matched before giving up a car, however, they said my license couldn't be removed that it has to stay on the list for minimum 1 year even though they know that I can prove I am not that person. I dont even live in the same state they rented the car in. No one would help me or call me back. I am now without a job due to this. I'm a single mom with 3 teenagers and I really needed this job. It's not fair! I will be going to tell my story to all of the corporate office as well as the BBB, social media, and to an attorney for unfair discrimination.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Prepaid for a car reservation and more than a week out went to cancel it and they said I wasn't able to be refunded my money. Most rental car companies nowadays allow you to cancel with NO FEE OR REPERCUSSIONS but Hertz apparently hasn't gotten that memo yet. I will not be using them again due to this lack of flexibility so they just lost another customer.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz in Dec 2017 in Austin. I was charged on my credit card $10.14 for toll charges 7 days after I turned in my car. Makes sense... Now in January, I have been charged two more times - 1/2/19 and yesterday 1/11 again. I called Hertz and they could not explain where the extra charges came from. They could not provide any details of the charges. Matter of fact, the Hertz rep asked me what I wanted? I said, "An explanation of what these charges “Hertz toll” were on my credit card." He said that he could not tell and did not have any information on what they were or why.

His solution was for me to dispute with my credit card company. When I asked him how can I be sure these charges will not continue, he said he didn't know and could not guarantee that there wouldn’t be additional charges. Unbelievable. How is this acceptable? Something is very wrong! Hertz is taking no responsibility but they are who took my credit card for the car rental agreement and own the toll pass. Have never had an issue like this with any other rental company. Note to self: NEVER rent from Hertz again. I will dilute these charges as I have no other choice. There needs to be an investigation.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In July 2018 we rented a car from Hertz UK at their Heathrow location. After driving the car two days and barely 200 miles the entire clutch system failed when we we pulling onto the motorway (my husband pushed the clutch in to switch gears and then it would not come off the floor). Fortunately my husband was able to maneuver the car off of the road without causing injury to us, the car, or any other vehicles. A three and a half hour ordeal later, we finally had another car and were on our way again, with assurances that this sort of thing happened often and, as there were not many miles on the vehicle, it would be covered under warranty. We never questioned this, and it never occurred to us that Hertz would ultimately deem us responsible for a mechanical failure of the vehicle they are supposed to maintain.

The second vehicle we were issued was smaller and not at all clean-- excessive bird poop all over the windows on all sides of the car, and the interior had not been recently vacuumed or cleaned. But we were simply grateful for a vehicle and to be on our way again, as we'd already missed several points of our itinerary that day. We drove that second vehicle, also a manual transmission, for another week and a half (over 1500 miles) without incident. Upon returning it at Gatwick, we were shocked to discover we had been charged $1500 for the repair of the first car, a vehicle we had hardly driven. Six months later and we are still arguing with Hertz about this.

Today they finally (six months later) sent me the bill (less than we were charged, incidentally) so that I might at least take the matter up with my insurance company. They have told us repeatedly that because we declined their insurance, we are responsible for ANY damage done to the vehicle while in our possession. Be warned that if you rent a car from Hertz, and they haven't taken care of their vehicles and it has a mechanical failure on your watch, you may be replacing a clutch, engine, or anything else you did not damage! At the least, Hertz is an extremely dishonest company. We will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Stranded at the airport due to this company. Rented this car a month in advance and when I got there the agent refused me the rental because I didn’t give her a credit card. My debit card can also be used as credit but this goofball didn't know how to do that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My insurance pays 80% of the cost of the rental. They paid their part and I was prepared to pay my 20%. I turned in the car last week and then today I see a charge for the entire rental on my debit card! That caused me to have 2 overdrafts and I am so upset! I will be calling them tomorrow morning and my bank also. DO NOT USE HERTZ!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Hi - I too booked rental in San Diego and had the same experience as some of the other customers at this location. The reservation was placed weeks before. I booked the rental on Wednesday morning (11/26) arrival at 10:30am into San Diego. Because I try to be overly cautious, I called the Hertz customer service center to confirm that there were vehicles available before my flight left. Once I arrived at the Hertz counter in San Diego at 11:40AM, the office was closed. When the agent arrived an hour and a half later, she said they were out of cars and there “maybe cars” in a couple hours or so. She said, “Your only bet is to call customer service and have them try to rebook you at the airport, which is open 24 hrs.” So by the time I got through to the airport, there was very limited availability, and the total price had increased $300.

So basically I booked a trip with the intention to meet my family members, and was not able to get to them without a huge out of pocket expense. I was able to call customer service and transfer my reservation to the following day. Unfortunately, my experience didn’t’ get any better. I showed up before opening and, surprise, there was no one to open the facility at 8am! About an hour later, someone showed up and was able to help the first couple people in line. Note that the line had grown to 10 to 15 angry customers by this time. I wish the worst of the story ended here. After I returned the vehicle, the facility never checked it in, so I continued to incur credit card charges in addition to calls inquiring about returning the vehicle. It’s a good thing I took a picture and have vehicle footage! The charges have stopped but I have yet to be contacted by anyone in management. Very poor experience overall.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Harassed me about a car that my insurance company paying for, threw a insult of we ** steals. I won't say all dept but one in Fairless Hills Pa manager there was very inappropriate, I feel ashame and insulted. My fiance is thinking of stepping it up further to lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

When I arrived to pick up my car, the young man simply handed me the keys to my rental and showed me photos of the current interior and exterior condition. I expressed concerns about the interior, and the employee told me they already knew about the interior condition and I wouldn't be charged for anything pre-existing. When I got to the car, it wasn't clean, greasy fingerprints everywhere, lipgloss, and I noticed the cigarette smell, now I know I shouldn't have taken the car but being my way home for Christmas, I did. I returned the car cleaner than I got it, wiping down the whole interior. The Hertz location put a $300 charge on my card, claiming I smoked in the car. I have never smoked in my life, ever. In fact, I have always been against smoking since I watching my grandma struggle and pass from lung cancer, as a kid, well living with me on hospice. The location was very rude about the matter and transferred me to corporate.

The first customer service representative was the rudest customer service employee I have ever talked to and she transferred me to her supervisor before dropping the call. Although the second customer service representative was helpful, filing for a refund, there is now a new $100 charge on my card and no refund in sight. Do not rent through the 225 S Canal St, Chicago location, or any HERTZ location as they clearly are not cleaning or even checking the cars after each rental.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I rented a car from Hertz at 3 am to drive to Richmond, VA for my closing show and to retrieve my artwork. I started driving at 5 am. At 10 am the low tire pressure light and 3 check engine messages appear, the oldest unresolved message dated back to November 12th. We refilled all the tires since they were all low and called Hertz customer support to address the check engine messages. After 4 attempts, an alternate vehicle was located 1 hour northeast out of the way. Before heading that way we stopped to do one final gas fill up. I get out the car to go to the restroom and hubby gets out to pump gas when the customer support rep called back. As hubby hands me the phone he closed the unlocked door only to realize the car inadvertently locked itself with the keys still inside.

In a panic I informed the rep and she stated it would take AAA 90 minutes to arrive and would be an additional $75 since I opted out the additional insurance. It was raining and cold. At this point it was 11 am and my closing show was scheduled to start at 6 pm. The AAA tech finally arrived and opened the car. We then headed northeast as instructed by the rep to the Hertz rental where our confirmed alternate rental is waiting. We arrived and there was no car available. It was 2 pm and we still had a 3.5 hour drive to Richmond, VA. I called the customer support back and I informed them I was unable to detour again to any out of the way Hertz rentals stores since I was on a strict timeline. The rep offered to drop off a car at my hotel but had to call back and cancel those plans once she found out she was unable to coordinate it. She then located an alternate vehicle a few miles from my hotel.

During the drive the low tire pressure light reappeared. 3.5 hours later I arrived at the Hertz store 10 mins before they closed. At this point my face was swollen and red from crying so much. I was placed in another vehicle that of course lacked a navigation system for the long drive home. The Hertz rep at the last rental spot sensed my frustration and proceeded to give me a hug. I arrived at my closing show 1 hour late after leaving from Atlanta with several hours to spare. Throughout the duration of these events, it was pouring rain. On the way home at 5:10pm the next day the replacement vehicle stalled and we became stranded in Burlington, NC. I stayed on the phone 1 hour 10 mins with Roadside Assistance only to have to wait an additional 90 minutes for a replacement vehicle to finally arrive.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I returned my car to the Lake Elsinore location, second time using this location. All in good condition and I even returned an iPad that we found in the car. Four days later I realized that my credit card had almost $500 worth of erroneous charges on it! I called the location, I called the Temecula supervisor, I even called the 800 Hertz number. I booked the original rental through AAA who tried to help to no avail. Lake Elsinore Site told me it was corporate's fault and corporate told me the site did not physically check in the car so the charges continued to reflect on my card. This was 5 days before Christmas.

Now, 2 days after Christmas my credit card is correct however I have never heard back from Hertz corporate or site letting me know what happened or even to apologize for the erroneous charges and hold on my credit card. I had hoped Hertz would help to rectify this situation with better customer service. PLEASE make sure that when you return a car that you get a receipt that indicates the car has been PHYSICALLY checked in. Make sure you contact corporate office and confirm no further charges will incur. SHAME on Hertz!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I had reserved Hertz rental car to travel back and forth between LA and San Diego. I had made a reservation at least 2 weeks ago and I also got a confirmation. Since the reservation was confirmed, I planned all the things to do in San Diego (including 80$ ticket to Sea World). I show up to Hertz office on the day I was supposed to get my car. The management said "we are all sold out" and there is 5 hour wait time to get a car. When asked, "How come you don’t have any cars despite of the reservation," the answer was that most of the existing users have extended their car rent duration.

I suppose Hertz doesn’t know the meaning of “Reservation”. They had no answer when I asked them, "How can you allow rental extension to the current users when you knew there were reservations for the next day." The whole point of reservation is to have a guarantee that you will be getting your car on the day for which it is reserved. Because of this madness I had to cancel my plans and then lose money on the Sea World tickets. I don’t think I will go with Hertz again. This was my first and the last experience with Hertz.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Paid and reserved SUV in advance. Received a professional e-mail of confirmation stating I have a $0 balance to pick up car. Then when I pick up there is a $200 major credit card required. Then when I attempted to meet their LAST MINUTE DEMAND I WAS ONLY GIVEN TWO TRIES SWIPING MY CARD TO FIX THE LAST MINUTE PROBLEM. I was locked out as I was putting funds via online bank to put money in bank. Because of this I had to cancel. Then I was given a # for a refund on Dec. 1st and it is Dec. 23rd.

I noticed my refund was never returned to my bank so I thought this would be an perfect opportunity for Hertz to make it right since I need a rental car because my car was in the shop. They had the nerve to tell me there is no policy in place to get my unpaid funds from 23 days ago to be used for a rental car along with me needing to wait 10 more days for a refund after I have been waiting 23; days. Where is the good customer service in having policies in place to keep the customer happy after making two huge mistakes on their end. THEY ARE A GREEDY COMPANY WHO IS ALL ABOUT WHAT THEY CAN GET FROM THEIR CUSTOMER ONLY. Wow! I'M shocked!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I rented from Hertz RDU for 3 weeks and after I returned the vehicle which I didn't drive across country as I planned in the same condition I picked it up at, took my final bill and flew out of the country. I was charged additional 300 dollars!!! I emailed their customer service HO which is in the UK and head told it was for detailing the vehicle. What a cheap way of stealing from customers!!! And they insist it’s a normal charge. Never again I will give any business to this company. All be wary of the charges your card after you checkout specifically detailing. Thieves.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I reserved a full size car online and a week later decided we only needed a compact. I called the 800 number and made the change. When I went to pick up the smaller car they had no record of the change and only had the larger car available. (Small, independent group which have the cars delivered.) Hertz corporate said they had no record of the change and to call the local agency. The local agency said it wasn't their fault and to call corporate back. "I can't get no satisfaction." I don't blame the local Hertz. I take offense that this was not taken care of with my first call to the 800 number by offering me a refund or a credit. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Hertz runs its operations in Thailand through a franchise arrangement. This is not necessarily bad but in Thailand, Hertz appears to have no control over the quality of cars or the customer experience. This tarnishes the Hertz brand and its global reputation. We have been renting cars from Hertz for a long time in Bangkok and have put up with the rude staff behavior, snail pace of working and their total indifference to customer service. But, yesterday’s experience was a final nail in the coffin.

We rented a car for 2 months for a road trip in Thailand. After the normal rude and slow staff treatment, we went to the car and were shocked to see that the front of the car was literally coming out. As we were renting the car for 2 months and highway driving, we asked for another car. The staff abruptly responded that they have nothing else and we were left on our own. Since it is the holiday period, other car rental companies were also full. So, as I write this, we don’t have a car for our road trip. So much for trusting a global brand. Hertz' name does not mean anything in Thailand.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Booked online with Hertz South Africa choosing no super waiver, they quietly added it in at the counter. Management was unhelpful and arrogant when trying to resolve the matter. I will never use them again. Emailed the CEO with no response at all. Why then does he put his email address out for public access?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Planned a trip over Christmas but Hertz site stated the vehicle we wanted to rent was not available. Sold out at the location for that day. So we changed our plans around Hertz and We moved our trip up to Dec. 9th and made reservations online when the vehicle was available. We dropped off one of our personal vehicles at the mechanic's to be worked on while on our trip and drove to the airport in our small car to get the rental.

We parked in the airport parking lot, went inside to Hertz. The attendant stated he had no reservations and then asked what type of vehicle we had reservations for and I offered to give him our confirmation number for the rental, but all he said is that Hertz only has compact cars are available. Why was this not reflected on the Hertz website, as it was for the Christmas holiday? Did they lie to us? We were the only folks in the airport of our race, was that the issue? We have never experienced this with Hertz and are very upset, disappointed because this has caused a great hardship for us.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

When I went to pick up my car in Aspen CO, Amanda at the front desk noted it would be snowing for the next two days. She made a special trip (on a cold dark snowy night) to the far lot to get me car with all wheel drive so I would be safe in the snow (and warned me about the deer at night). Above and beyond customer service. Thanks Amanda... I feel better behind the wheel with your car selection for me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I rented a car in Rome, Italy in October 2018 and drove to Milan, stopping in Tuscany on the way. Two weeks after I returned the car and paid the agreed rental price, I received a new charged for $40.04 on my credit card from Hertz with no explanation. When I called Hertz I was advised it was for a violation committed while I had the car at 9:06 p.m. on the 27th. Well at that time I was already checked into a private hotel and the car was parked in that parking lot, so I could not have committed any violation. I explained this to Hertz but they claimed it was handled by a private company and they could not do anything. I disputed the charge and the card was closed. This is nothing more than a ripoff. They offer you a normal rental rate and then try to recoup higher charges later by charging you for violations you never committed. Lesson learned - do not rent from Hertz ever again!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My girlfriend was side swiped by a Hertz rental car. It was ruled the renter's fault and he was charged with the accident. She was told he purchased rental insurance and Hertz would pay the claim. She submitted everything they asked for then has been ignored for 8 weeks. The doors will not open and it's not safe to drive her son to school. They will not fix the car or even return her calls. She's now having to pay an attorney just to get a reply from Hertz. What a rotten thing to do to victims. This is a horrible greedy company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I will never use or recommend Hertz to anyone again. After my accident I needed the loaner car for longer than what my insurance covered. The garage where I took my car for repairs told Hertz that they would take care of the additional days. Hertz continues to take money off of my card, they call and text me multiple times a day asking for more money and the car back. Horrible service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I am very displeased with being overbilled by Hertz Car Rental on 11-25-2018. I was quoted a total charge of $94.55 by Priceline, and then was charged $117.25 by Hertz (147.60-30.35 for gas) when I picked up the car. I also estimated an overcharge on the fuel of $12.00+. I was told by customer service representative in Knoxville it would be $2.30 a gallon, which should have been around $18.00. Response from Eddie ** at Priceline: "The rental car company informed us that you have upgraded to a mid-size car, causing the rate and the taxes to increase. The receipt and your rental agreement will have all necessary information regarding the charges you incurred."

My response to Priceline and Hertz: "This is unacceptable. I rented an economy vehicle on your website, not a mid-sized vehicle. I did not agree to an upgrade to a mid-sized vehicle. I do not know if this is some kind of shenanigans by Hertz to get more money out of the customer or not. I may have signed the agreement, but I was unaware this vehicle was going to cost more. The fuel expense agreement was even more deceptive. I was told it was going to cost me $2.30/gallon and charged nearly 70% more than that. I am informing both companies involved, that I will no longer be doing business with either one of you, due to the unethical way this issue was handled. I will also make it very clear on social media as well. This situation was not handled the way it should have been and I am very dissatisfied." I would hope anyone reading this would think twice before doing business with Hertz.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Rented a car through Cheap Tickets because I had to go to Austin to care for my mother who had a heart attack. Was quoted a price of $15 a day for 4 days Th-Sun, was charged the price BEFORE I even got to Austin, but I arrive in Austin at midnight and the guy at Hertz hands me a new invoice for an additional $256-so a total of more than $356. When I questioned him about it, he said I’d have to take it up with Cheap Tickets. I said I didn’t want the car after looking at the bogus new invoice and he refused to cancel the amount he had already charged on my card. Instead he called security when I got angry and cursed at him- yep, he called security because I cursed at him because he wouldn’t give me my refund. I NEVER even touched a HERTZ car and now I have a charge on my credit card that I’ll have to spend HOURS trying to get removed. DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON HERTZ! Lyft saved the night.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Was charged for gas after drop off, even with a receipt showing car was dropped off full. Had to call in twice to get resolved and when I asked why I was charged even though I returned full, I was told that it happens all the time, read that again, all the time. What a scam!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I had rented a car for the first part of my trip to Hawaii from Avis on a whim. After a great experience with Avis I decided to rent again but book ahead online figuring this was a smarter approach. Wrong. I found a great deal on a Camaro on Expedia and paid $355 upfront for 4 days plus collision insurance. Walked into Hertz to pick up my car. Fully expected a few extra taxes etc. What I got was an invoice for $826 plus the $400 is already paid to Expedia. Immediately realizing I’d been had I walked right back into the office intent to dissect the additional $826, very little of which had been explained to me. I’d paid $44 for collision insurance through Expedia and AIG but despite telling the rep this they charged me $128 for full insurance. LSI liability insurance for $56. I fought on this but was told this should be the least thing I should take in Hawaii. I accepted it determined to investigate later.

PAI/PEC for $28 which is for personal item insurance. Hertz never informed me what this was, nor if I wanted it. I did not want it. I have great insurance coverage outside of Hertz. Fuel price option for $77. I’d gassed my Avis rental in Hawaii twice since I’d been there. The $77 charge essentially was double the price of filling the car. Premium Road service but I’m AAA for $37. Again never asked or informed and charges were not reviewed with me unlike Avis. Beyond this was $200 in additional fees. I’d rented a Jeep from Avis for $496 walking off the plane but this 4 day rental would cost me $1,115 minus the $399 I’d already paid.

Lastly, the $355 I’d already paid via Expedia became listed as a VOUCHER and the ultimate price of just the car rental was $688, almost double the original quote. As this is a full bait and switch I will pursue the issue with Expedia, Hertz and Amex who I booked through. Overall I left Hertz deeply unhappy. They took over an hour to correct their charges (still overcharged on the car because their billing receipt was not clear to me). I feel mistreated and will never go back to Hertz again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have recently rented a car with this company in Israel, they rejected my credit card insurance policy and forced me to take their insurance policy even though its website advertises a partnership with my credit card company (Visa). They also charged me more than expected for taking a car they told me to take with no extra charge at the counter. On top of that, they advised me to bring the car with no gasoline, because they were going to charge much less because I will avoid taxes since I was a tourist with no VAT obligations. Finally, they charged 67 USD for the gasoline and I had a Mazda 2. Worst experience.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

True Criminals and "pros" at insurance fraud. This will not be the first review you will read about insurance fraud with this company (rented a car in Rapid City ND), and there is a very strong theme happening here among these reviews. At first I thought maybe I just had bad luck, but no, there is story after story just like mine. These guys are complete crooks and will squash you with threats of collections and credit damage to hold you hostage. Shame on this company and shame on HERTZ for letting this franchise use their brand. I rent a lot of cars through Hertz. In my career of car rentals I have probably rented 150+ cars and never had any issue. I have never rented from a franchised Hertz8 before this, and didn't know they even existed. I know now!

At the time of picking up my car I waited in line for over an hour. They are slow, I think on purpose. Finally it was my turn, they handed me the paperwork, and they gave me a slip to fill out with dents and dings. There were several people behind me, and I looked at the person checking me out and asked him where the car was to do a quick look around, he assured me the car was fine and good to go, he comforted me into signing it without looking, my first mistake. I also didn't want to hold everyone up, again I think it is a strategy to go slow and pressure you to sign their docs.

Got the car, looked good, there for one day on business. Landed at 2:00, drove to town, did appointment, stayed in hotel corner parking spot next to no one, drop car off early morning for flight before they opened, this where I made the biggest mistake. I should've taken pictures or video the car, it was in perfect condition, as I received it. It drove in the dark as my flight was a 7:00 am flight, and the lights and car was working perfectly. Dropped the keys off in the box and got on my flight.

3 weeks later I got a letter stating that I owed them $2,700 for a broken headlight. I was puzzled, I called Hertz who instantly told me, sorry it's a franchise you have to deal with them. Upon further investigation the paperwork they gave me didn't match up with the mileage or the gas level I dropped it off at. The paperwork they gave me show pictures of the car and the odometer, none of it adds up, the mileage is different on 3 different pages, it includes 3 different pictures, of which two show the odometer at a point of mileage, one picture was 100's miles before I even had the car in my possession. It appears they are using the same pictures and damage proof for multiple cases, but they getting them mixed up.

They are committing insurance fraud, but they are losing track of which photos to use at which time, and getting lazy as they have boosted their self-confidence due to an enormous amount of successful bullying on their customers who ultimately just give up and pay them or file an insurance claim to get them to go away. Upon further investigation I found a very concerning link between the mechanic shop who did the work and the franchise owner, who both have mutual business interest in shared businesses. This has been one of the most frustrating situations I have been in, and I can't get Hertz Corp to back me in any way. Shame on Hertz for letting this fraud of a company use their name. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty scum bags over there. I feel bad for the older generations or naive that just pay them because they don't know what else to do. Such a sad case, and not many resources to fight them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I am a long time Gold member with Hertz and have used them nearly exclusively for the past 8 to 10 years. Imagine my surprise when I was refused my confirmed rental because I had been placed on their do not rent list. Calling the referenced number I discovered that it is likely due to a PlatePass charge on my credit card that I challenged because I do not use PlatePass in Florida (I use my SunPass) and did not receive a receipt or any notice in advance or since.

After waiting nearly 30 minutes on hold in an airport I finally gave up and rented from Avis. In addition Hertz froze my Gold account and removed all of my points which were sufficient for a weekly rental. Clearly I will not be renting from Hertz until they remove the DNR notation and return my points. I use to recommend Hertz, but cannot any longer. They clearly do not care about retaining long time customers by making it easy to resolve complaints or place an emphasis on customer service beyond the desk.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I rented a car and was charged more to my card after my rental was closed out. When speaking to a Supervisor she told me my card was linked to someone else name so contact my bank and have them do a dispute. After doing that the manager at the store said that I authorized my card for that name. So the Hertz company is going along with what he said so that I don’t get refunded my money. I spoke to the lady at Hertz and when closing my account out she gave me my total and claimed that this is all she charged to my card, but two days later extra charges was charged to my account. This is sad that a company can get your money and nothing is done about it. Please I advise. Do not rent from Hertz. If they are doing this to everyone randomly how much money are they ripping off people. I only gave the 1 star in order to continue. My stars would be zero.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information