2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.6/5 (1615 ratings)

About Hertz

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Meriem in the Hertz Las Vegas airport saved us when we got standard with no car thanks to a third party company. She went out of her to tell the company they made a mistake on their end and they needed go fix it. Once she realized the company didn’t care she told me to head to her desk and she would help us. She got us the car we wanted no problem and figured out a later drop off time. Am I still out of 839 dollars from the third company? Yes, but she also said to call to dispute it with my bank. I know she saw how stressed I was and I can’t thank her enough. She saved us.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I just want to commend Hertz for always providing great service. I’ve rented from other car rental agencies before but I’ve never been treated better nor rented a vehicle that has exceeded their standards.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I rented a car at the airport which was a little disappointing at first because the car had no windshield wiper fluid so because the line was so long and I would have to get through that again I decided to get it on the way to our place. But the anti freeze was way below the minimum I noticed as well. So after getting to another Hertz rental place to have them fill that, they decided to upgrade my vehicle to a midsize which was way better than the Ford Fiesta I original picked. Then one day during our vacation on a beach rain started to come. I offered shelter to very kind young lady that ended up being a supervisor for hertz. I shared my story and she immediately took my information and had her team refund me a few days. Since hertz has been voted for customer satisfaction I truly believe they are living up to that. So thank you So much to Crystal ** for being so generous.

Original review: May 2, 2021

They are very accommodating and the best workers since they make you feel like a royal. The best rental ever and they provide the best cars and clean too.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I think that Hertz offers great deals. They are lacking in the customer service department when it comes to putting a customers on hold. Overall they are good and I would recommend to others. Their cars are in good condition and very clean. They have good promotions and online offers.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

My insurance company made a reservation for me with Hertz while I got my vehicle repaired. When I went to pick up the car, I was told there was not a reservation. I told them I had a confirmation number and the response was we do not have a reservations for today.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

DO NOT RENT WITH HERTZ!! We rented a car at Kahalui airport in Maui. Our confirmation said we owed $216.27. We picked up the car on time, returned it on time, car was clean and driven less than 100 miles even though we had unlimited miles. We returned the car and that afternoon we saw that they charged us $521.00. The next day we saw they credited that amount. A few days later they put through a charge of $266.59. We called and they said the confirmation was only an estimate? Never again! Rent with Avis, we have never had a problem with them and they are very competitive rate wise.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I have been a gold member for years now. I arrive at LAX for an emergency with family. Leave my family, 2 year old, at the terminal to grab the car. My reservation doesn't pull up under gold. I wait in line for 20 minutes. Get to the register. The guy apologies. Gets me a car seat, tells me to Gold pick any car. Just show my license at gate, I be fine. I pick the car 45 minute to the gate. At the gate they tell me they can't see my gold membership and return me to the booth.

At the booth the lady extremely rude, gave me a hard time about me forgetting my mask in the car. I told them hand me one, I wear it. She never did and told me to cover my face with my shirt which I gladly did. Still didn't hand me a mask. She double charged me and said, "This should get you out of here." I booked for 114 plus one prepaid gas equals to 114+70 = 184 dollars all taxes and child seat included for 1 day rental. She charged my card 205 and authorized 406 on the card. At this point that wasn't a concern as me having to wait again in the line. She refused to find a way for me to skip the long line again. 36 minutes later I got out. Pick up was at 6. Picked up my family at 7:45 from Terminal. Hertz 800 as useless.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I purchased a package to Cancun from Expedia. It had the room Flight and the car rental. Landed in Cun airport and I was told I don’t have any insurance. I purchased coalition coverage for extra cost from Expedia. Things they did wrong.

1. Upsell me for volition coverage 35$ a day.
    2. As for Expedia an extra day is 30$. They charged me 100$.

3. I purchased a standard SUV. They showed me a mini van and said this is a SUV abs that’s what’s available. I ended up paying 10$ a day for the so call upgrade. They try badly to confuse the customer. My long needed vacation started bad since they wanted to rip off the customer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Rented a car overnight from PA to NC. Got a blowout on the tire on 95 late at night in the pouring rain. Changed the tire only to find out that the donut spare barely had any air in it. Made it to the next service station and added air. Then when I looked at the tire when I got home I noticed that the whole sidewall was gone. Good thing it was the back tire because it did cause the car to swerve quite a bit. When I returned the car I had to pay THEM for a new tire. When I rented that car I expected it to have decent tires but after reading other reviews on here I see this happens a lot. One person said his tires were so bald there was no tread on them. So this must be how they do it...send the customer out with bad tires so they can buy the new ones for them. Pretty good deal for them. My advice is don't do business with HERTZ. I've rented from Enterprise and never any problems. I'd go anywhere but Hertz!!!

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information