3.7/5 (1963 ratings)

About Hertz

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: March 10, 2022

BETTER THAN OUTSTANDING! Hertz never stood out for me as my main car rental company. Somehow a couple years ago I ended up at the Farmington, Beaverton location for a local rental. For me it ALL comes down to customer service. If the service is great I am willing to pay a higher premium. Imagine the service being OUTSTANDING and the PRICING Competitive, what a winning combination. I have to say what really makes this place special is the agents and especially their manager, Stephen **. Stephan makes it very clear that the customer is important and he knows exactly how to take care of business, being creative when necessary to make it all work. He has a way of leaving each customer satisfied. He understands how to build loyalty and future referrals.

Since Stephen has been the manager I have noticed a complete facelift of the interior, the employees and the surrounding are much more professional and personable. The employees are very attentive and I love the new uniformed look. They are “dressed for success”!! Stephan has hired excellent agents such as Samira **, Alex ** and Katherine **. So KUDOS to you all! In gratitude! Mikalan

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Meriem in the Hertz Las Vegas airport saved us when we got standard with no car thanks to a third party company. She went out of her to tell the company they made a mistake on their end and they needed go fix it. Once she realized the company didn’t care she told me to head to her desk and she would help us. She got us the car we wanted no problem and figured out a later drop off time. Am I still out of 839 dollars from the third company? Yes, but she also said to call to dispute it with my bank. I know she saw how stressed I was and I can’t thank her enough. She saved us.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I just want to commend Hertz for always providing great service. I’ve rented from other car rental agencies before but I’ve never been treated better nor rented a vehicle that has exceeded their standards.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I rented a car at the airport which was a little disappointing at first because the car had no windshield wiper fluid so because the line was so long and I would have to get through that again I decided to get it on the way to our place. But the anti freeze was way below the minimum I noticed as well. So after getting to another Hertz rental place to have them fill that, they decided to upgrade my vehicle to a midsize which was way better than the Ford Fiesta I original picked. Then one day during our vacation on a beach rain started to come. I offered shelter to very kind young lady that ended up being a supervisor for hertz. I shared my story and she immediately took my information and had her team refund me a few days. Since hertz has been voted for customer satisfaction I truly believe they are living up to that. So thank you So much to Crystal ** for being so generous.

Original review: June 15, 2022

First, when they bring me the car, they don't do a walk around to show all the dents on the car and cigarette holes in the seats so I took my own pictures so they couldn't try and charge me for that. The car smelled of smoke so every time my kids and I would get out of the car we smelled and had headaches. I couldn't extend my rental online unless I wanted to pay $250 so I had to create a new reservation, for $125 BUT that meant I had to go back in and start a new reservation and add another $200 deposit... so at this point, I have $400 deposit.

I returned the car the same day of my second reservation and I called before returning and the guy told me I could so I went to return the car. I get there, I'm told he can't do it at the location but to call customer service and they can refund it for me. I call then am told they will not refund me unless it was an emergency even though I was told I could BEFORE and AFTER I returned the car.

Then My boyfriend calls because at this point the employees know nothing. He was then told if I write them online and say there was an emergency I would get a refund, so I did that... Well, now there's another excuse they used when all the other ones didn't work to still not give a refund. To a company, $86 refund and a happy customer is nothing, to a single mom who had to spend money on a rental car for a week, $500 on car insurance deductible that would have been very helpful. But instead, they lost a customer, and are getting a terrible review because they don't know how to treat customers. How come everyone in the location, and on the phone says a refund can be given? How do their own employees keep providing wrong information...

Original review: June 14, 2022

I rented a car for two days at the Hertz location on 181 West Washington Street in downtown Chicago. I paid $288.53 at time of reservation. When I picked up the car I added lost waiver damage which would bring the total amount to $342.51. I picked the car up at 3pm on a Friday and brought it back at 2:30 pm on a Sunday after hours.

On Tuesday I checked my credit card statement and saw that I was not only charged the $53.98 but an additional $300 + the $288.53 that I prepaid bringing the total to $642.51 for a two day rental. I first inquired via email and received an email back that said the extra $300 was for the lost waiver damage...huh? I have paper work that shows the lost waiver damage is $53.98. So I decided to place a call.

Well it turns out that they are claiming the extra $300 is a cleaning fee because they found dog hair. Hmmm, I was the only one in the car for the entire two days and I don't own a dog or any animal for that matter. Since I turned the car in after hours, I don't understand why I didn't receive a call to say we are going to charge you an additional amount because the car has dog hair and then I could have asked them to not clean it, I'm on my way because I want to see for myself. Nope, that didn't happen and now I am out $300 because we have what you call a "he said she said" situation.

I can tell you that this will be the very last time I rent from Hertz. So sad that customer service is such a lost art. I will take my business else where. For those of you that still want to rent from Hertz, beware, you better take pictures of the interior of the car before you drop it off or you may also be charged an extra cleaning fee!

Original review: June 14, 2022

Be very careful here. I rented a car with Hertz, made my selections, and got my GUARANTEED rate. My car was at a location with NO agent, just grab and go. When I got my receipt, added charges for insurance, airport fees, etc. Over $500 more than my quote. Look at your receipt and DEMAND to speak to a "live" agent before you leave. TERRIBLE customer service. Will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Seniors citizens beware. I picked up my granddaughter to stay us but she had to go home early. Hertz refused to give me a full refund. I begged customer service telling them we are on a fixed income and just help. No sympathy, "just not our policy".

Original review: June 5, 2022

I rented a Ford Mustang Convertible from the Sanford, Florida airport. I drove to Daytona Beach ("the World's Most Famous Beach"), but after driving for 2 hours, I realized it was far too small for a family of four. I called to exchange the car, but after spending 30 minutes waiting on hold and being transferred to computerized prompts, I gave up. We decided to take a quick walk along the beach before returning the car, but when we got back to the car, the key fob wasn't working.

After 2 hours of googling how to manually unlock/start the car with a broken key fob, we were stranded. I called Hertz and was told to uber to Auto Zone and try to fix the key fob myself. When I said that wasn't an option, she transferred me to roadside assistance, where I spent another 30 minutes on hold, only to be transferred to a voice prompt saying I'd have to fill out a report in person at the nearest Hertz location and was once again disconnected.

I left my family and took an uber to the nearest Hertz rental company. The onsite agent had to call a manager because they outsource their customer service. Manager "Pierre" refused to either rent me another car, send roadside assistance, or help any way. His rationale was that we were in breach of contract, which the local agent said was nonsense because it is a highly recommended destination and cars are able to drive/park there. Also keep in mind that the car was fine, it was only the key fob that was inoperable. I was ultimately billed almost $1,800 for a 6-hour car rental, including their imaginary roadside assistance that my family never received. Good luck trying to reach an actual person if there's an issue - it's once again a never-ending loop of "don't call us, we'll call you." Never again Hertz.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Worst place to rent. Don’t maintain their cars. One that I got had someone smoked inside. It had cigarettes ashes and lighter in between driver seat and center console. I call the company to complain. They created case # and told me to bring it to airport rental, I drove about 26mile to get car changed, when I got there Manager at LGA Mohammed refused to change the car.

I called Hertz customer service again. New person on the call said bring it to Jfk to charge. I drive another 20 minutes to JFK then again manager doesn’t want to change the car. I called customer service again (57 minutes) she told me to bring it back to original location. I told her I am allergic to smoke smell and I can not breathe she said, "We will tow the car," and charge me for towing. Basically she made me drive that same car back. Didn’t change for me. I bring car back to original location. They all the cars with all kind of problems (car dented, no head lights, dirty inside) so I returned the car, but there was no courtesy from anyone. I hope you don’t have to go thru this. Please rent from some other company.

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information