2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.71/5

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We have rented vehicles from Hertz for many, many years and have never been disappointed. We have personally rented various size cars, cargo vans and even a pick-up truck. We have used them for short, two or three day, rentals to longer, up to thirty day, rentals. The vehicles have always been clean and ready upon our arrival for pickup and the rental agents have all been extremely helpful and pleasant. We would recommend Hertz to everyone in the need of a rental car.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was stuck with my kids at Bakersfield airport because another rental company told me they had a car for me and after making me wait for almost 2 hours told me they didn't have a car available, a wonderful Hertz representative heard my daughter crying and offered us a car rental, we were out of there within 5 minutes. Thank you Hertz!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

This is a huge thanks to Gabby, that works at Hertz Sheraton Vistana Villa HLE. I rented a car (Economy Suv) couple of weeks ago for 2 days for my road trip to ST Augustine. I signed for the empty petrol return in exchange of 39 dollars, but I wasn't satisfied with that. At the end of the journey I haven't use all that gasoline, when I returned the car, I spoke with Gabby and she was so kind and understandable that she took care about my issue in a excellent manner. Thank you Gabby! You're Amazing! See you again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We took a trip to Minnesota this past summer and had to rent a car as there were 4 of us. Normally we just take a shuttle service but we needed a car for our use during our trip. I have mostly used Hertz as my go to for car rentals. This trip was no exception as I made reservations with Hertz. We needed a toddler car seat and it was provided to us for no charge (some companies charge for the car seat). We chose a compact car that fit our budget. When we got to the rental desk, Hertz had all the paperwork ready to sign and go. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and we were headed to our car. They were out of the size car that we ordered and they immediately upgraded us to a larger SUV and no additional charge. Add to this experience were all the great smiles and service from the rental desk through the gate person. I will definitely use Hertz in the future...

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The vehicle was great riding in it, but gas to keep it up was very expensive. Two weeks $84.00. That is only going when necessary. Dodge Grand Caravan 2019. I own a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox 4 cylinder very good on gas. It runs great. I can ride a month on $80.00 going anytime I want to. It's very easy on the pocket.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Rented a car on a 3rd party website for the Hertz Atlanta airport. At the desk, I was told that I erred and the car was at 5750 Windward (questioned but did not fight). After a $56 Uber drive I learned the site written by airport rep closed in March. The posted number was also closed. From a call to 3rd site I learned the car was at still a 4th site, the manager couldn't talk; but the car was unavailable because I was late for the 10:00 pickup (time spent commuting to the wrong site). When speaking with Hetz national line, I was asked, “Are you being sarcastic?” I hung up and called another company. It was worth another Uber fee to use another company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I had a nonprofit company that I was doing some volunteer work for set up a rental for me through Hertz and Hertz was to bill the company. Instead Hertz has billed me. I was required to provide a credit card in my name for the deposit for the rental in case of damages or if I didn’t return the rental. I verified twice when picking up the rental that I would not be billed personally if I provided this credit card. I also verified this when returning the car. A few days later my credit card was charged. I called to have this removed and charged correctly. I was told by the person on the phone it wasn't their problem and I should have never given my personal card to the person at the counter. I called the nonprofit company who placed the rental for me and verified that they were supposed to be billed for the rental and they would cover the charge.

I tried reaching out to Hertz through email and phone to have them correctly bill the company who reserved the car. I was told again it wasn’t their problem and they refused to talk with the company that made the reservation because it was I who drove the car and not the company. At that point I contacted my credit card company and had the charge removed as a fraudulent charge. My credit card company agree after reaching out the Hertz and Hertz refusing to provide enough and accurate information about the charge. Then Hertz reached out to me saying I owed them for the rental. I spoke with them about how they were supposed to charge the company that made the reservation and provided them a name and number for the person they were supposed to contact. They refused again to acknowledge they made the charge incorrectly and again told me since I used the rental it was on me to pay the bill.

A month later they sent a letter saying I had an outstanding balance without a way to pay the bill. I called again to have this resolved with the same results. I submitted this issue to the Better Business Bureau, but Hertz refused to respond to the Better Business Bureau and they had to close the inquiry labeling it unresolved. Now I have received a letter telling me I had to pay the bill or I would be sent to collections, again without a way to actually pay the bill with the date October 3rd. The letter was received on Friday, October 9th.

When I called on Tuesday, October 13th I was informed the bill had already been sent to collections and I had to deal with the collection agency at this point. Also, when I called on October 13th the individual I spoke with lied multiple times about my bill and how it was being handled. I was also told to stop calling because it had already been sent to collections, so I had to deal with the collection agency from the point forward.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Prepaid for a rental car and when we arrived they had zero cars available. They assured a refund, and after 14 days and no refund we called. They said no refund was requested, and to wait another 14 days for a refund. On day 28, and still no refund. Horrible customer service, that sounds like they operate in a 3rd world country.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

(Context: personally generated $1000/yr plus corporate rentals). 1. Arrive Seattle...Directed to Gold as usual, and the selection of vehicles included cars, trucks, suv's. Not unusual. Grab a SUV, which I've done before a few times. 2. Arrive at hotel to find a vehicle upcharge. Hertz customer service says I should drive back to location to deal with it. (Seriously?) 3. Return car at 1:30PM Monday at unmanned return counter. They email receipt saying car returned Tuesday at 3PM so they could add an extra day. 4. Call customer service. They claim I "paid for a midsize" so the upcharge was valid. They claim to have no knowledge how the Gold aisle works. You choose ANY vehicle. They refuse to do anything. 5. I dispute charge with CC company, which I win. 6. Had another rental at Seattle (fool me once).

Also, SEA's Gold aisle this time includes a 5 series BMW, another Luxury SUV along with the normal cars. (crazy) Randomly, a Hertz employee was walking through as I was looking lost about how a BMW was in this aisle, and said "you can choose any car in this lane, no cost increase." I choose a low end SUV just to be safe. I get to the gate, and my account is blocked. They don't know why. I go to the counter and explain the previous rental and agree with me on the upgrade charge. Give me a phone number that has bankers hours and is closed. Hertz has lost a customer, and will be reporting the fiasco with the corporate travel dept. I'm just one employee out of 70,000, but at least we also have National, which got me a car in Seattle for the same price.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I rented a car from the Hertz terminal at Atlanta International Airport on 9/4/2020. The car smelled faintly of smoke but not enough to require a replacement as I was on a schedule and did not have time to request a replacement. There were only three or four other cars available and the line at the counter was fairly long. I returned the car with no damage, keys inside, and a full tank on 9/8/2020. When I received my e-receipt later that day, I had been assessed a $400 cleaning fee for smoking. I don’t smoke. I called Hertz Customer Care on 9/9/2020 to dispute the charge. My wait time was about half an hour but it was two days after a holiday weekend so that didn’t really bother me. When I reached a rep, I explained the situation and was told that the charge must stand because the Atlanta facility deemed it so. I requested and was connected with a supervisor.

After bringing the supervisor up to speed, he offered me a $100 provisional refund for my trouble and explained that he would contact the Atlanta facility to research. He furthered that it would take 5-7 business days and I should receive an email update. After not receiving an update, I called again today, 9/23/2020, to inquire. Again I was told by the rep that there was nothing that could be done and again I requested and was connected with a supervisor. The supervisor I got this time also stood by the assessment that the fee must stand. According to the system record, the original supervisor did contact the Atlanta location to verify but received no response. As such, I was told that the charge stands.

One of two things happened here: Either a previous renter smoked in the car, the car was not pulled for cleaning when it was returned, and that renter was not assessed a cleaning fee. Or, a previous renter smoked in the car, the car was pulled for cleaning and the renter was assessed the fee, the smoke smell was still present both when I picked up the car and when I returned it, and now I am being assessed a fee for something that I did not do. The former scenario illustrates a failure of the Atlanta location to properly sanitize the car and assess the fee to the actual guilty party. The latter scenario illustrates a potential racket where the Atlanta location can perpetually charge a fee to subsequent renters as the smoke smell never really completely goes away in these situations.

Regardless of which scenario holds true, I am out $300 for something I did not do. As stated, I have never been assessed this fee before because I do not smoke. I have actually never been assessed any additional fees for damage, fuel, or keys, because I follow all stated rules to ensure I don’t spend one dollar more than necessary. I can assure Hertz that this will be the last and only time I am assessed any fees as I will take my business elsewhere going forward. Rental Record #**

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information