1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 240 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

1963 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Upon renting our car, a gas option was pitched to me. I never take any of the options. The employee explained that the gas charge was $1.99 per gallon. Texas prices were $2.15-$2.20. You could bring back the car, no matter what the fuel gauge said, and they would top it off at that price. We brought the car back exactly half full. A few days later, a $26.39 charge showed up on my bill. The gas option is YOU HAVE TO BRING THE CAR BACK FULL. If you don't, they will CONVENIENTLY fill your tank for the full amount based upon the number of gallons in the car. For us, luckily it was 13.5 gallons, hence the $26.39 charge vs. $12-$13 that it should have been. Hertz (Bill Utter Ford - Denton, TX) won't budge on this. Unless you are stuck for time or can't pump gas next door to the rental site, never sign up for this option.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

So we make a reservation for an "automatic" through Hertz in Savannah, GA. We order the car and the new page says "standard." We go to get it changed and they said it can't be done. They also said that debit cards were not allowed but that the money which was taken out already would be refunded in 7-10 business days so how come the money is still gone? I explain that I am in the United States Army and need a vehicle so the customer rep starts asking if I have a corporate discount!!! The Army isn't a civilian business, we are part of the federal government. After I explain this, she asks two more times!!! What part of FEDERAL GOVERNMENT isn't understood?!

So in the end, Hertz can't take my money which they took. They can't refund my money for almost two weeks, even they can't take my money, which they took. They can't change my vehicle type even though their webpage shows the vehicle I ordered from listed it as an automatic. It didn't change until after I paid the money which they claim they couldn't take, that they still took. They want me to order a whole new vehicle under a credit card so they take more money even though they haven't given me back the other money. They have no available automatic in a car and are telling me I have to upgrade to a SUV which will cost more money. They claim there are no other areas which are open on the weekend in my area but they still want to charge me for a whole other vehicle!!

In the end, they took my money, switched the car after I paid for it, told me my payment wasn't valid but still say my refund will take two weeks, wanted me to rent a second car so they could take more money while I wait for the 1st refund, has no other options for us and then hangs up on me. I will also pass this along to USAA who recommends Hertz for some reason. If you are military, please pass this along.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I recently bought a used car from Hertz. Hertz will sell cars from their fleet once they reach a year or two old. While they do have a lot of miles on them, everything under the hood should still be in good condition. They also like to brag about their 121 point inspection for customer satisfaction before purchasing. I've only had my car for 3 days and I've already had to jump start the battery, twice. I haven't accidentally left the lights on (headlights are automatic, don't even have the interior light set to on when the door is open), and I haven't been blasting air the entire time. I've barely even put 50 miles on the car since I've taken it off the lot. 121 point inspection my ass. There's no point in buying a car if it can't even perform its main function, to drive. It's just an overly expensive box at this point.

To add insult to injury, I've been told that with cars that use a fob, the owner is typically given a duplicate. Not Hertz, though. They lost it. Another point, and it's minor but they just keep stacking it on, they didn't fill the tank either (it was just below half). But hey, at least they washed off the bird crap and polished the tires so it looks pretty sitting in the driveway.

The sad part is, if I didn't have to go through the headache of constantly having to call someone to jump start my car and then recharging the battery when I got home, I would have just let the part about the fob and the gas slide. They were even pretty friendly at the dealership and rather knowledgeable. I didn't want to write a one star review. But being sold a car and told it's good to go after it's been "thoroughly inspected" is an unacceptable business practice for a car dealership. You would have better luck buying a used car from a stranger on the streets without any assistance from Carfax or similar services.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

On Sept 29th I booked with Hertz to rent an Mini-van. My sister has plan a Thanksgiving dinner for our family. My sister suffers from breast cancer, and she wanted to have dinner at her house. Well when I went to get the car on Tues Nov 21st. I was not able to get the Van. In fact they could not even find one. After getting so upset the manager said that he had found one. BUT! I would have to drive 20 miles to get it, and it will cost me more to rent the Van. I was not able to attend my sister's Thanksgiving dinner. All Hertz did was give me gift certificate ($50). The service at the 8021 West Broad St. (In Richmond VA.) is just awful. Picture me driving 20 miles and having to pay more for the van... in which I book 45 days earlier

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I called Hertz to have them pick me up for a car rental. I was at the body shop of a local car dealer to get my vehicle repaired. The agent on the phone told me that they now use Uber. He also stated that I would receive a text with the Uber Driver's info. After an hour of waiting I call Hertz again asking about the ride. Another agent tells me that the Uber driver said that I never showed up. I told her I was there but never received a text to let me know what kind of car to look for, and since I am at a dealership there are many cars constantly coming and going. She told me that there is no way for them (Hertz) to have my number to give to Uber. I said, "Yes Hertz does have my phone number."

She then proceeds to argue with me about it, saying they do not have my number. After a minute or so, she ask my name again to pull up my file. Then she reads a phone number out to me (my phone number). After realizing she was wrong she said "well ain't nothing we can do for you now. We about to close." So now I am trying to call everyone I know to try to find a ride. I also start walking home (10 miles). After a few minutes my phone rings. It is Hertz. The woman now proceeds to tell me that they found the problem. Apparently my phone doesn't work because when they tried to call I did not answer. I told her that is because I was calling people to find a ride home. She said "well it is not our fault your phone doesn't work." The phone she just called me on does not work? Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Got 100% scammed at airport. Refuses to sign rental agreement and manager said, "Take the car, I'm charging you for it". And YES, Hertz tried. Disputed with credit card. Contacted customer service and got a RIDICULOUS generic email response. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Renter beware! Please save yourself the headaches. This company are crooks with their hidden fees, pay attention to what they say and don’t sign. They ramble about prices and insurance and slide in paperwork for signature... I paid more for rental fees than the actual car rental per day was... Please please please do not use this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Faulty vehicle while in Northern Ireland. Gave the runaround and promised to have the problem resolved upon return to the US. Jumped through hoop after hoop talking to customer service. We had video evidence of the claimed issues. Hertz representatives still denied the claim. They will try to wear you down before issuing any refunds and dealing with their customers ethically.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was in CA on business and made a reservation for a rental car a week prior to the trip. Upon arrival at the Hertz rental car in San Diego, CA airport, I gave them my ID, my reservation number and my debit card and they ran my card through the system. Once the card was run through, he said he forgot a step and asked to run my card again, but the card got declined. I checked my bank account and realized that the 1st time he ran the debit card through, it took the $550 out of my account. After 2 hours of waiting at the airport for them to try and fix the problem, I was told they were not able to rent me a car because they weren’t able to get a confirmation number from their system. So, I left there with no offer of a ride to my hotel, $550 was taken out of my account and of course, no car.

I did Uber to work the next day, called Hertz to see if they were able to get the issue fixed so I could get a car, and after not being able to get through by phone, I took an Uber after work back to the airport location where I spent another 1 1/2 hours while they tried to resolve the issue. Again, left there with no car, no offer of a ride to the hotel and they still had $550 of my money! After several phone calls to my bank, Hertz corporate office and their accounting department and $250 worth of Uber rides, I was finally given my money back, 5 days later!!! I wrote a complaint email, talked to the corporate office and they said sorry, and reimbursed me $250 of my Uber receipts. In the meantime, my husband and friend were going to fly out to look for houses while I worked (we are relocating in a few months), but we had to cancel their flights due to not being able to have a rental car.

I lost a few hours of work due to having to make phone calls, spend hours at the location and being rudely sent on my way without any offer a ride. I was told by verbal communication and by email that this was a glitch in their system. That glitch cost me money, time and loss of house hunting time. I will never use Hertz rental car and have definitely spread the word to my co-workers and friends as well. My company is a global company and we have people that travel all over the globe. I called the company’s travel agency and asked them to not recommend Hertz and I called our company’s corporate discount program and asked them to take off Hertz. I sent them the email communication as proof of their mistake and how they rectified it. I called a small claims lawyer as well. To everyone else, DO NOT USE HERTZ RENTAL CAR! Their mistakes/glitches will cause you much frustration and loss of time and money. They truly don’t care about their customers!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Hertz billing set up direct billing confirmation to Geico to be charged but Hertz location still charged me for the rental just so they could charge me late fees. Billing Supervisor was rude and gave me an ultimatum that said I can either take half of the money they weren't supposed to charge or none at all and if I disagree then go to my bank to deny the charge. She kept interrupting me as I was explaining the problem and told me that what was supposed to happen and what did happen are two different things and they cannot refund me my money and charge Geico since it is not really an insurance claim or else Geico would have dealt with it from the beginning. When I asked her what was the email I could send proof too since she was calling me a liar she said they do not have to deal with this issue and I needed to contact my insurance or bank once again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I made a rental reservation on 9/2/2017 for a pick up on 11/18/2017. 11/15, I received a call from Hertz stating that they would not have my vehicle ready for pick up on 11/18 and that they did not have any 12 passenger vans. No other assistance was offered at that time. After repeated calls to Hertz and being transferred to so call Managers, I still do not have a vehicle to leave town on 11/18. It appears that no one at Hertz can make a decision on how to rectify this situation. I have left numerous messages and no return phone calls.

Hertz will not find another vehicle for me and I will have to pay $400-500 more for a vehicle on short notice. Why make a reservation and you have no vehicle for customers. This is the worst place to rent a vehicle from. The customer service is awful. I will not be renting from Hertz again and the National Association of Realtors will be informed of this situation as we are partnered with Hertz for the members. After talking with the manager, Monica **, at the Olive Branch rental she would not return my phone call even after promising to call me back. I know this is a problem that could have been corrected with some communications, but that didn't happen.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

When I got to the office, I had to wait 'cause there was no one in there. Other than that, everything went smoothly and I was very pleased with my Toyota Camry. It was better than I had expected. I would definitely use them again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I paid to rent a vehicle over a month ago on Visa Debit/Credit card, which they IMMEDIATELY took full $208 rental charge. Called 20 minutes before leaving for trip a month later, they cannot accept Visa debit/credit cards even though they had full amount $208.00 OVER A MONTH??? I do not have credit card, so they cancelled my reservation!!! Talked to manager after manager and wanted money released immediately because called Enterprise and had car in 20 minutes. I have gone on trip and already got my deposit back from Enterprise. A week later to the day and the Hertz THIEVES still have not released my money!!! They said I did not ASK to have released... REALLY??? I went to every level for an hour on phone??? Now they say 7 to 10 days??? Illegal!! Contacting lawyer and BBB.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Rent a car from Hertz Car Rental for 3 days! They gave me these 9 pages TINY rental contract in 3"x8" (They use a normal receipt paper. Fit a entire contract into these pages). And when I return the car get billed for the $9.99 per gallon. When I call Hertz customer service "How charge me $9.99 per gallon?" They told me, "EVERYTHING IS IN THE CONTRACT Receipt. Didn't you read it?" So I decided to get a magnify glass, found Pg 3, the entire page is talking about gallon of gasoline compute and RUN SHORT to tell the price? You must be mathematician to understand what they mean? Is deceiving and DESIGN to rip-off consumer! We'll NOT USE HERTZ AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE of a situation. Just received a call from Hertz SIX MONTHS after returning a rental car (without damages) claiming we owe them $2,000. We had zero issue returning the rental and we are very honest people that would speak up if anything DID happen during our rental period. Unfortunately for us we can't find our paperwork now after moving. The lovely lady at Hertz corporate told us it would not matter either way... that we stand zero chance in this dispute. Wow, what customer service! That is for backing up your customers and giving us a voice.

The company claims to have photos of the mileage and damage UNDER the car, which we never received proof of. If they are going to accuse us of something, the least that could happen is clue us in on what damages we are paying for??! We are avid travelers, as are our family and friends. Hertz lost some loyal customers today and we will not keep quiet about this! I have rented many cars in many countries and never had an experience such as this.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I rented a compact car online via Priceline while I was in LA before my flight to Dallas/Ft. Worth Int. airport. My rental car was confirmed before my departure for a specified price. When I arrived in Dallas early in the morning, I was shuttled to the rental center where one worker was operating the counter. I overheard him telling a customer ahead of me that they do not have compact or medium sized cars and that the customer could "upgrade to a Nissan Titan V8 for FREE or they could pay extra specified amount of money per day for a luxury car."

The customer was obviously upset, so I pretty much assumed that they didn't have a car for anyone in line. I realize that Texas is big on TRUCKS, but most people worry about fuel efficiency, and considering the proximity of rural communities in Texas being located so far away from the airport, fuel efficiency is a major variable when renting a car. I heard the customer service agent tell the man ahead of me (after the customer expressed his disapproval and frustrations about fuel efficiency) that he could get a car from somewhere else. He even gave the man his credit card back completely displaying a lack of empathy for a customer who the agent is offering three choices. 1. Pay more for a luxury car. 2. Pay the same for a V8 Titan gas guzzler or 3. Take your card back and find another car rental place at 2 am in the morning.

No one had an option but to submit to Hertz' poor management. Of course, the same thing happened to me. I expressed to the agent that I'm sure it's not his fault specifically, but that I really didn't want to drive a V8 Titan to the Arkansas border town of Texarkana (3 hours away). He of course told me that I could pay more for an Infinite car... I was so upset.

This trip was a last minute trip to fly out here to attend the funeral of an aunt who was found decomposing in her house after being dead for a week- a family tragedy. This company has no empathy for their customers... I couldn't believe it. So the trip concludes and I return the car in front of the car rental building where I rented it from. I walked in and there was no one working upstairs, so I found a Hertz employee downstairs who asked me if I saw anyone upstairs to return the key to.

I told the gentleman that I didn't see anyone or the counter for returns. He then took the rental car key and told me that he would take care of it, so I assumed that the worst experience renting a car was over. Nope. I get a bill in the mail a couple weeks later (and several calls from Hertz corporate) saying that my car is overdue. So confused. I call customer service agents, the locations, the managers, more customer service agents... you get the point. And finally they "find" the car that they told me they lost.

I have a string of emails that resembles the length of a small book trying to dispute the charges and solve the problem. Almost 4 months later, I'm still getting bills for almost $600.00. They even sent me to collections. Kamarie **, the manager at the Dallas airport location seems to be trying to figure things out for me, but I've yet to have this problem solved. No one can seem to help me. I feel like a manager of Hertz trying to solve the problem myself. This has been a nightmare.

I would definitely love to seek out an attorney, but honestly, I'm so busy with work... I'm constantly stressed out about my credit score being lowered (which it has been decreasing from the upper 700's for the last few months). I'm wondering if those points are being dinged because I have a $600 balance floating around somewhere. #Hertz #attorney #lawyer

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We rented a car from the Savannah Georgia airport on October 28th... We were to return it on November 4th. On November 2nd, we got a call in the morning informing us that our sister in law had just been killed in a car accident on her way to work in LaGrange Georgia... 5 hrs from Hilton Head, South Carolina where we were vacationing. Since the rest of our family lives in Utah we felt we needed to drive down there to comfort and be with my husband's brother. Our connecting flight was going through Atlanta on the 4th, so we called Hertz and asked to change our return location for us. We explained the circumstance of the sudden death and were hoping there would be no problem.

But alas, they wanted to charge us $300 to do so. We'd only paid $155 for the full 7 days to rent the car in the first place. They didnt care that this would help us be able to stay in LaGrange for a few days with his brother to be there for him during this difficult time. No, we had to drive all the way back to Hilton Head the very next day so we wouldnt have to pay the astronomical fee they were charging. We called twice and got no sympathy from anyone on either call. I would never, ever use Hertz again and I dont recommend them to anyone!!!

Delta changed my husband's second leg of his flight to Wednesday the 8th with no additional charge so he could attend the funeral on the 7th, so awesome and so sympathetic. Love them!!! And Marriott did not add any additional charges either when we had to miss a part of our package deal promotional seminar and called us twice to offer condolences for our loss. And we just used another rental car company to get him a car for his stay till Wednesday at the Atlanta airport. Bottom line... Hertz sucks big time when it matters the most!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I rented a car and they charged me for insurance even though I told them I did not need it because it was covered by my insurance, when I made them change it, they charged me a smoking fee and I don't even smoke! Lied and said they had pics but when I asked for proof they refunded me my money. But the excess in fees racked up $252.00 in overdraft fees and they refuse to pay them and of course my bank says they have to refund them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I want to write a review because I believe it's important to point out good customer service. My car broke down an hour and a half away from my home into a 10-hour trip. I had no choice but to Rent-A-Car. I was very upset had to have my car towed and wound up at a Hertz in Drivers Village Syracuse New York. Rich understood my frustration and very considerately set me up with a rental. Upon my return of the rental, Rich's office was moving and I had to go to another Hertz office where I encountered Shondra. This office was extremely busy due to the Overflow of the moving of the Drivers Village office. This office was in the middle of a construction zone.

Shondra I was on the phone with a disgruntled customer and handled it like a pro. I could hear the woman speaking unkindly to her on the other end and she remain calm and treated her kindly. She apologized to me for being busy and took care of my needs immediately. I could tell many people were unhappy with having to bring their car back to a different location, not really knowing where it is. Shondra greeted me with a big smile and a great sense of humor and I appreciate that. Between Rich at Drivers Village and Chandra in East Syracuse New York I was so completely happy with a customer service I received. I am a busy woman and I run my own company but I'm taking the time out to let you know that you have two wonderful employees.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I reserved a van for a three day trip. Went to pick it up from the Highland location and was told that they'd see me on Monday which was two days after my return date. He never mentioned anything about being able to drop it off after hours or that I'd be charged for two additional days once I returned it. I now have three pending charges. Two for $182 and one for $911. I am highly pissed and somebody better figure it out and give me my money.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I rented a car in Maui for 18 days as part of a package through Expedia. They asked if there was going to be any additional drivers on the rental agreement and I added my wife as a secondary drive in case something happened to me. After we signed all of the paperwork we were told that since we had prepaid through Expedia as part of our travel package that our cost appeared to be covered.

Imagine my surprise when I got my credit card bill and see a charge for an extra $218.74 for adding an extra driver. I would have hoped that the counter attendant would have informed their client that there would be an extra charge for adding a second driver. Upon dropping off the car they asked if I wanted a receipt or just email it, I told them to email it to me. I never received an email. I guess they like to hide what they upcharge by forgetting to send you your receipt so you cannot confront them of the issue prior to your departure. Shame on Hertz, I will go out of my way to not rent from this company again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

BAIT AND SWITCH! I, like so many others on here were "upgraded" without their knowledge by the shady people working at the Phoenix Skyharbor HERTZ. I reserved (and paid in full) a car VIA Orbitz about a month in advance. The auto was to be a "Jeep Compass or equivalent." When I went to the counter to pick up my car I had to give them my credit card. I was being charged $469. I told the lady behind the counter that I had paid for this rental on Orbitz and it was paid in full. She stated "Oh, this is a deposit, you'll get that back when you return the car." It seemed high to me but I was renting for 7 days after all and I would be getting the money back so I "finger signed" the electronic signature screen. We then proceeded to where one receives their rental car. The car they brought me was nice. It was an Infiniti G something or other, I am not familiar with Infiniti autos.

I asked the delivery driver "are you sure this is our car." He stated "yes sir, yes it is" and showed me where the license plate number matched the slip I had been given. I took the car and drove off figuring this must have been the "equivalent" to a Jeep Compass. We drove 2.5 hours away to our vacation destination all the while thinking something wasn't right. That night I checked over the paperwork and noticed the charge I had made included an EXTRA $30 per day for an "upgrade"! I was livid! I called them immediately. The lady on the line told me Orbitz had NOT paid them, (which turned out to be a bold faced lie). So I called Orbitz. They called HERTZ and verified payment had in fact been made and were told the extra charges were for an upgrade I HAD MADE.

I called them back and was put on hold for 20 minutes. I contacted them through Facebook and at their customer service email address. Nobody would help while I was in possession of the car. I was told I could return the car (a 5 hour round trip ordeal while I was supposed to be on vacation) but that was not possible at that time. I finally got a response from HERTZ after I had returned the car declining to reimburse me for the extra charges. So... never again will I rent from HERTZ, neither should anyone else!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I rented a car from Hertz through Expedia for my recent trip to Italy. What a terrible experience! I had reserved a car with a GPS, but when I got there, they tried to give me a car with no GPS. When I asked about it, they said I was lying and hadn't requested one. I showed them my Expedia reservation and they said I would have had to call them to get a car with GPS even though I reserved one online. They told me I could get a car with GPS for an additional 19 euros/day. Since I really needed the GPS, I reluctantly consented. They then proceeded to charge extra for the car as well, and they double charged me for the insurance which I had already paid for with Expedia.

They shuttled us to the yard for car pickup. More rude employees. Couldn't be bothered to even explain how to switch the GPS to English. Had to figure that out on my own. Car had no gas in it and I almost ran out on the Autostrada. At some point in the trip, the GPS stopped working. We advised them of this when I returned the car. They said we just needed to reset the sim card (I guess I should have known this since it was never mentioned) and they refused to give me any credit for the loss of use. I complained to Expedia and they contacted Hertz. Hertz refused to give me any credit. Expedia did credit my account for the insurance I paid through them since I was double charged. I will never use Hertz again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Reserved a car in Salt Lake City... As a gold member we went to the counter and we were asked if we would like a Mercedes or a Jaguar. As an upgrade... He never mentioned we would have to pay the additional cost... Have never paid for a upgrade in the ten years I have been using Hertz. Get my bill, and it was four times the price I had paid for... Called Hertz and they said I should have looked at my bill before I left the parking lot...

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Gold member for 20+ years. Rent cars 4 times or so per year. Had always preferred Hertz because they provided low mileage cars (under 20k) and my discount through AAA. Rented mid or full size car for one way drive to LAX on 10/17/17. This was my first experience with being told to pick any car from certain rows labeled Gold. To my dismay/disgust all of the cars in the Gold area had 40k+ miles and smelled terrible. Told Gold booth agent this wasn't acceptable and that I needed something less than 20k miles. Was told that the low mileage cars were reserved for the 'high value' Gold customers.

After standing my ground and telling agent that National guarantees cars will be less than 20k and after agent's two visits to the back office, I was given special permission to select a car from the good Gold rows, all of which were less than 20k. It appears that the low mileage cars are reserved for Gold members with elevated status and these cars are moved to the sad Gold area when they reach a certain mileage. Very bad policy and I will need to explore other options. Did not have the same experience when I rented a SUV in September.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We broke down with a flat tire at 11:15. After 11 phone calls and numerous people, we finally got someone to help us at 3:30. We were taken to the dealership that the car was, only to be told that Hertz refused the tire to be fixed here & had to be taken to a place that fixed tires. This was after constantly transferring us to dealership for service. David, Olga, Eileen just to name a few of the people I spoke to who never knew what I was saying every time I called. Could never find anything on their computer they said, but kept transferring me to dealership.

The man at Hertz who was in the service dept. said that it was up to us to get to where they were fixing car & could possibly take a few hours. By this time it was 4:30. When the service agent at dealership asked if there was nothing they were going to do for us, he said NO!!! He wouldn't even cover our taxi fare. We then paid for a tire ourselves so that we could get a half hour away to our hotel. This is with the man saying we would not be compensated for tire. I will CRAWL over broken glass before I EVER rent from Hertz again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I currently have a Hertz rental car in Alexandria, VA and saw the PlatePass inside the car at the top right of the windshield- which is not visible from the outside- and had a sheet of paper in the car that stated that if there were any questions to go to www.platepass.com. As the only toll systems listed on the decal were ones in the south and southwest I was stunned to see that the website also includes I-Pass in Illinois and E-ZPass in Ohio and on the east coast (note: I-Pass and E-ZPass transponders have reciprocity between the different states), yet those are not listed on the sticker in the car at all.

I recall having some issues in the past when I would use my own transponder and having "sealed up" the Hertz transponder box, yet a couple of times the tolls registered on the Hertz device. The location waived the fees as they clearly saw that their transponder was closed, and mine was still visible for them to see. I was told that wrapping it in aluminum foil would block it from being read. That being the case, and as absolutely bizarre as this may sound, it might be worth traveling with a bit of aluminum foil, and after pulling out of the Hertz lot, use some duct tape to tape down the aluminum foil on the outside of the window above the PlatePass decal/sticker, and then pulling it off just before returning the car to the Hertz lot. I will now start doing that myself and will see what happens. Sneaking in the I-Pass and E-ZPass systems with no clear information about those on the decals does strike me as a clear case of fraud and intent to deceive.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I had already paid for my rental car yet when I checked my bank account I was charged for an extra fee which I don't recall asking for. Upon calling I was told there was nothing they can do. DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My husband and I recently rented a car through Hertz as a part of a vacation package. When we arrived the car they had for us was a smart car with no trunk, so they offered to put us in the next size bigger. Once we were back home we received a bill of $400 in up charges. When I spoke with them I was told we were put in a luxury car and that they could not correct the billing.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Very poor service when picking up my rental in Rome. Vehicle not ready, not parked in slot. Office open 15 minutes late at drop off and then Overcharged on bill and no one speaks English clearly. Very disappointed.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information