3.6/5 (1951 ratings)

About Hertz

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

The Hertz car rental at 40 Lee Burbank Highway, Revere, MA goes above and beyond to help. They certainly saved the day for us. Unfamiliar with the area, we had mistakenly gone to the Hertz location at the airport. Because we had booked through a third party, the man at the window was unwilling to help us and told us we had to go to the other location, but that it would be closing in less than 30 minutes. Understandable, but he did not give us their phone number or offter to call them for us. We were obviously stressed about what we would do if we couldn't get there in time being that we had to contact an Uber and we did not know our way around the airport to even find the pickup area.

When we finally got through to the Revere location, we found that indeed, they were open for another hour and the nice young lady said they would wait for us.

When we arrived, there was then a mixup on our vehicle due to Hertz booking us a moving van instead. Though the gentlemen were all busy and they had very few vehicles left available, they did their very best to accommodate us. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of and not stranded. I cannot say enough good things about the Revere location and its employees. They were awesome.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

When booking my trip to Sedona, Arizona, I accidentally booked a Hertz rental car at the Camelback location in Phoenix. The airport was able to help me change the Hertz rental car pickup (paid the extra taxes and fees for renting from the airport). The drop-off location was still listed as Camelback but Valentin was able to help me so that I could drop the car back off at the airport location and not get charged any extra fees. I appreciated that he helped me since I made the mistake of booking the wrong Hertz rental car location.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

My husband was golfing recently and his car was hit by someone who did not leave a note or take responsibility for the damage. We had to use our insurance to have the vehicle fixed and so we were already out our deductible of $500. We had to rent a vehicle while our car was being fixed and used Hertz. Teddy ** in Johnston RI was our contact. This man put us at ease as soon as we met him. He assured us he could help us with our claim and that the rental would be fully covered under our insurance. I felt he had our back and sure enough he did! We now have our car back and everything went so smooth. Hertz and Teddy made this a much better experience than expected! Super nice guy!

Original review: March 10, 2022

BETTER THAN OUTSTANDING! Hertz never stood out for me as my main car rental company. Somehow a couple years ago I ended up at the Farmington, Beaverton location for a local rental. For me it ALL comes down to customer service. If the service is great I am willing to pay a higher premium. Imagine the service being OUTSTANDING and the PRICING Competitive, what a winning combination. I have to say what really makes this place special is the agents and especially their manager, Stephen **. Stephan makes it very clear that the customer is important and he knows exactly how to take care of business, being creative when necessary to make it all work. He has a way of leaving each customer satisfied. He understands how to build loyalty and future referrals.

Since Stephen has been the manager I have noticed a complete facelift of the interior, the employees and the surrounding are much more professional and personable. The employees are very attentive and I love the new uniformed look. They are “dressed for success”!! Stephan has hired excellent agents such as Samira **, Alex ** and Katherine **. So KUDOS to you all! In gratitude! Mikalan

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I was a participant in the Uber driver program where they provide new Tesla Model 3 to Uber drivers. Upon rental we had to pay a $200 refundable deposit. This fee made the price jump from $400 to $600. The waiting time to rent was 8 hours!! I came back the next day and was sent home because only one person was working and at 5 pm they close regardless of who is in line. Long story short upon return of the vehicle with no damage or problems, I even had it washed, I have not received my deposit back, and have emailed customer support who is lousy as they keep saying they need time to look into it. It’s been 6 months. Don’t do business here, Hertz in Alexandria Virginia will keep your deposit, and ignore you afterwards. Monthly rental $3000.00.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Killeen Tx, Stan Schlueter. Cars are 2-3 years old. The first one I got from them smelled like ** so badly I was terrified to get pulled over. They knew it had this smell but waited for me to get there, go through the rental process and open the door to see if it would be a problem. At that point, "It's the only one we have so keep it or wait for another one," after my ride already dropped me off. Second rental broke down on day 2. That is when I found out that Hertz does absolutely nothing to assist with this. I had to arrange the tow.

There were Long wait times for roadside assistance, and over 20 minutes for the rep to create a ticket and dispatch a tow. I was told that I can ride with tow truck to pick up a new vehicle but I had car seats so too bad so sad. They do have a driver that can pick you up but only during certain times of the day and if pre-scheduled. Not much help in an emergency situation. Basically, the customer is responsible for everything. Getting the car towed and getting a replacement car. I was told that this is their policy and there is no exceptions to it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

I rented a car from Hertz where I arranged to pickup from Phoenix airport on a Wednesday afternoon and drop off in Las Vegas on Saturday morning … I paid $332 when I booked … After traveling from NJ we get to a line where there is over 20 people waiting in front of us and only 1 member in site.. After about 2 hours I was helped and a guy kept trying to upsell me and when I said no to a Mustang he told me I was lame.. Annoyed by this time I suggested he just get my car … He told me I had to wait for that vehicle longer and again we waited 30 minutes when a manager said car was ready and we finally then get in a dinged car which no one told us we would need to report when we were exiting ….

When we returned car they added another almost $200 which they said it was because I returned to a different place.. Mind you they knew this when I reserved the car … Customer service after 3 requests for help said I signed for the car with those fees and so I am responsible. I guess they have you wait 3 hours so you are so frustrated you just sign.. Just beware when you are shopping for rentals because their pricing is not actual. Horrible customer service and pricing!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I’ve never left reviews for any company before. And I have never considered writing a negative review. There have been times where I’ve come close to doing that, but I also understand what it’s like running (or managing) a business and have never wanted to be "that guy" who goes off on a place of business. But after dealing with Hertz, I feel I owe it to the public. Once I’m done writing this review here, I will post it on every website and app that allows reviews. Once that’s done, I will contact the Better Business Bureau as well.

I was involved in an automobile incident and left without a car. State Farm is my insurance provider and they set me up with Hertz (Columbus, Ga where I live). This location is at the Columbus Metro Airport. State Farm told me they (Hertz) would contact me. About 12 hours later, they did. I received a phone call at 7:57 AM on November 16th. I wasn’t able to get a ride over there until about 5:20 PM. Once I arrived and showed my ID, the Hertz employee (a young woman whose name I don’t know) said they didn’t have any vehicles available. I told her that they had called me and said I had a reservation. She said they did not, and that it was probably just State Farm. She then said, “Come back tomorrow morning.” I was naturally irritated by this, but I understand mistakes happen. So I said “Is 8:45am tomorrow a good time?” She said “Yes.” So I had to call the person who dropped me off to come back and pick me up.

The next morning, I was dropped off (again) at 8:30am (November 17th). And get this: there were still no vehicles available! It was two men and a woman this time. I told them what I told the young woman (the previous day) - that I had received a call from their office that my reservation was ready. They said what she had said, “It was probably just your insurance company.” This time I took out my phone and showed the exact date, time, and phone number. They confirmed it was from their office (meaning, someone from Hertz confirmed I had a rental ready). But they still had no vehicles available for me. They didn't even know why I was contacted (despite me being in their system). They then said “Come back tomorrow around lunch time, but call before you head this way.”

So I called the person who dropped me off (who was already missing hours of her work schedule due to helping me out) to come back and pick me up. But it gets worse! The next day, they wouldn’t even answer the phone! As of writing this, it’s November 21st, and since November 17th, I’ve called a total of 12 times. Not one time did anyone answer. I wasted 2 trips up there on account of being told I had (or would receive) a vehicle. I’m not about to waste a 3rd trip - especially since they can't do something as simple as answer the phone. It’s especially odd that they told me to call ahead of time, knowing that they wouldn’t actually answer. I'm going to call State Farm and warn them about my experience. Hopefully they won't refer any of their clients to them and will get me a rental through a different company. Do not waste your time with Hertz. If I could rate this lower than 1 star, I would.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I had rental through State Farm. Which they cover the whole cost. Hertz pulled my last $200 out my account. And when I called to asked why the lady said she didn’t have enough information to tell me so they will refund me. This was my money for Thanksgiving for my family. And my doctor appointment money. I had to wait 6 months for this Dr appointment and now have to cancel and can’t get the medicine I need. Now I have to wait 5-7 days past Thanksgiving and I have to reschedule my appointments that I need. This is so unfair. Now I can’t cook for my family..

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Hertz is the worst! Rented a car from Atlanta to drive to Alabama with my family of 6. One hour into the trip the car started to make a noise like the space shuttle was taking off. Called Hertz 24/7 roadside assistance, they said drive the car to this airport 1.5 hours away for exchange. I said, "I can't I am going to a wedding, that's why I rented the car, I will miss the wedding". Hertz says, "Very sorry, nothing we can do, we can't come exchange the car for you, it's drivable. But, a Supervisor will call you within the hour to see if we can accommodate".

Make it to the weeding with the family in disarray because the car was intolerable. 12 hours later call back to Hertz, they say the Supervisor will still call, but for $600 they will come exchange the car. Attend the wedding reception, email Hertz, they say active rental, nothing they can do. Drive back to the airport, have to stop four times in the middle of the night with the kids to let them out and get a break from the car. Barely make the flight, get an email a day later from Hertz saying, "Thanks for contacting customer service, some problems are unavoidable, please rent with Hertz again."

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information