Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Hertz Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We took a trip to Minnesota this past summer and had to rent a car as there were 4 of us. Normally we just take a shuttle service but we needed a car for our use during our trip. I have mostly used Hertz as my go to for car rentals. This trip was no exception as I made reservations with Hertz. We needed a toddler car seat and it was provided to us for no charge (some companies charge for the car seat). We chose a compact car that fit our budget. When we got to the rental desk, Hertz had all the paperwork ready to sign and go. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and we were headed to our car. They were out of the size car that we ordered and they immediately upgraded us to a larger SUV and no additional charge. Add to this experience were all the great smiles and service from the rental desk through the gate person. I will definitely use Hertz in the future...

Original review: July 17, 2019

Just want to commend one of your employees for outstanding service. After being told that the Hertz location I was directed to no longer existed (why didn’t Hertz contact all of the customers with open reservations let them know that particular office was closed???), a Lyft was arranged by Hertz to drive us back to the city center. Manny was not only friendly and understanding, but he straightened out our reservation issue and got us into a vehicle in less than 30 minutes. Thank you Manny for making a difficult and annoying situation 100 times better. One star for Hertz the company for not keeping their customers informed about crucial changes in their reservations. I expect more from a national chain. Manny saved you a repeat customer.

- Corina

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 25, 2019

I want to take a minute to recognize one of your employees who I feel went above and beyond to help me. Her name is Connie and she is in the IT department. The problem with my reservation was actually not something that should have been sent to IT. Despite that, she took the initiative to contact reservations and apply my coupon appropriately and fix the problem. I am still waiting for a confirmation email but felt moved to review CONNIE (Badge # **) because of her eagerness to help me, pleasant disposition and therefore - superior customer service. Please recognize her for this at least in an email. Thank you, Connie!

Sincerely, Heidi **.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My review is specifically for the Hertz location in Cincinnati, Ohio suburb of Fairfield. Specifically the one on Dixie Highway. Andrew & his team is the best! Courteous, friendly, funny and professional! I needed to pick up the vehicle a day earlier than scheduled as it was raining heavily and Andrew says it was fine and didn't charge me the extra day!

I've rented cars for 2 decades with every company imaginable and I can tell you I've never had that experience! I forgot my garage opener on my car visor and didn't realize it until I came home and called Hertz. Andrew answered the phone and he says, "Let me guess. You're sitting in front of your garage and wondering how you're going to get in?" Right on point. He didn't even have a chance to check the returned car yet. Evidently I'm not the first car renter this has happened to.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz in San Fransisco. It was an easy and quick process. A few hours later I found myself nearly out of gas driving at night while driving alone in a strange city. I had been in a hurry and hadn't checked the gas tank. Apparently, neither did the Hertz attendant. Luckily, I was able to get gas safely, but I was truly nervous crossing the Bay Bridge with the gas light on. When I returned the car, I was told I would be charged more since I didn't return the car with a full tank. I explained the story and they wouldn't budge.

The manager came over to help. She immediately understood what I was trying to explain. She apologized, empathized and deducted all the gas money I had put into the car unnecessarily from my bill. Her name was Nichole ** and Hertz is lucky to have her. I entered the return area pretty ticked off, but now, because of her excellent customer service, I will absolutely use Hertz again. She also said it sounded like a training issue and she would reinforce with her staff that the gas tank is always to be checked. Again, I am now going to use Hertz anytime I need a rental car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I want all of you who sent negative reviews about Thrifty Car Rental that it is the Hertz company that handles customer service for Thrifty Car RIP-OFF. They are just as guilty because they own Thrifty and Dollar car rentals and I was referred to them to handle my complaint and they could care less. Boycott Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar. That is how you get satisfaction from a rip off company. They lose customers they then lose money and they will either listen or continue to ignore the complaints and hopefully go out of business. Once again I had to give a star to complete my review; however they deserve ZERO STARS!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

We rented a car from Hertz at LAX at the end of October 2019. Even though I'm Gold, we weren't on the board and had to speak to an agent to secure our car. The agent quickly greeted us and was very pleasant. She asked if we wanted to buy the fuel purchase option (FPO). We immediately said no, and I even explained we never use an entire tank of gas, so we had no interest in buying Hertz a full tank when we could just fill it up at one of the many stations on the way back to the airport. The agent insisted this is not how Hertz operates, and we'd only be charged $4.38 per gallon (a good rate in LA). I asked her again to make sure I understood, "So, we only end up paying for the gas we use and not more if we choose the FPO?" She said that was correct. My husband then confirmed with her yet again, because her answer seemed too good to be true.

Finally, when we felt sure we'd heard her correctly, we agreed to the FPO, even saying we were happy to hear the deceptive policy had changed for the better. We drove the car 125 miles over 48 hours and returned it with ¾ tank of gas. We'd initially paid $81.01 for a full tank, so, according to our calculations and the information their own agent assured us 3 times over, Hertz owed us a refund of roughly $60.75. However, the email receipt we received after we headed to our plane showed no such refund.

After waiting a few days to receive the refund, on November 1st we began emailing customer-relations@hertz.com (we called but were told the only way to contact customer service is through email). We've now gone back and forth a few times, but, frustratingly, Hertz's responses are nothing more than canned corporate BS and claim since we signed the rental papers, we agreed to the FPO, so they get to keep the ¾ tank of gas we bought them. They don't care their own employee gave us incorrect information, not one, but three times. They don't care their policies are deceptive and predatory.

They know their customers are prime targets for these practices, because they're often exhausted travelers who are waiting in long lines at busy rental agencies, balancing their belongings in one arm and at their feet while an agent quickly slides pages across an electronic pad for them to quickly read and then points to places for them to initial and sign. The FPO is theft, plain and simple, and either they train their employees to lie to customers in order to sell it, or, at minimum, when their employees do give incorrect information, they do nothing to make it right. Hertz used to be high-end in the world that is rental car companies. The rental process was easy, their policies were above board, and their employees were honest and polite. We couldn't be more disappointed to find this is no longer the case.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Hertz in Katy (Houston) posted this vehicle below as available for purchase with an option to purchase online which I did, last night. https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certified/Ford/2018-Ford-Explorer-7c78ef300a0e0ae8703b0236dedd0868.htm. Now they are telling me the car is not available (it really did not exist, they are using stock pictures), and the salesperson insisting I come to see other similar models, same year, very similar mileage, and all for 2-3,000 $ more. It is shameful to see Hertz falling this low.... gone from premier car co to sleazy 3rd rate outfit, not to be trusted, disgusted...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

After an insurance flood claim, I got a rental from Hertz while my car was being repaired. Without my knowledge or permission I was charged $960 TWICE in the same day. Once the error was brought to their attention, I was shuffled from department to department who acknowledged that an error was made but all claimed they did not have the power to reimburse me. It has been one month now and I am out of almost $2,000 and they are refusing to refund the money. My insurance company has also reached out to them regarding the error and were told the same bs. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB and will NEVER use or recommend Hertz to anyone I care about.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I needed to rent a car because the engine in mine went out. I went through Hotwire to get a cheaper deal on a rental since I will already be paying for an engine or a different vehicle. I got a deal with Hertz that I could afford. Reservation number ** I tried to make the pick up for 10am but the system changed it to after 12noon. That was fine, I thought. I didn't check the hours of operation because I didn't think it would change it to a time they weren't open.

When I got there at 12:10pm they were closed. I called the 1-800-645-3131 number and explained the situation. The lady I talked to tried to get a hold of another place but could not get through and said "You'll have to try another place" and hung up. I called back, while driving to the address she was trying to get a hold of, but the gentleman that answered (I wish I would have written his name down) listened to the story again and he tried both locations but no one answered. He said that if I went to the airport they would honor my Hotwire reservation, just to get there and call back. That is what I did, but when I called back I got Fiona and she said they could not honor my Hotwire reservation that I had to make a new reservation, which was 3x as much!!!! The people at the Hertz place at the airport were not helpful and just plain rude!! So it made an already bad day even worse...

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information