Hertz

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I rented a car from Hertz while fixing my vehicle in March. Against my insurance's recommendation to go with Enterprise, I picked Hertz just to help out the local Hertz business owner; however I got charged with over $50 after two months. I kept getting letters from Hertz that I needed to pay the remaining balance. The balance for what? The Hertz and my insurance company had the agreement to settle this from the beginning. And all of sudden after two months, why do I have to pay this and for what purpose?

Now I know why I should not rent a car from Hertz and of course, I will make sure this doesn't happen in my lifetime ever again. The worst car rental company. I should have done some research on Hertz's review. My God, a lot of people got ripped off too. Please you don't need get this kind of stress over a rental car. Trust me on that.

Booked a rental at Durham, NC. Received an Email a few days before we were to pick up the car. Checked the reservation online and the reservation showed as being cancelled. Called the office where we were to pick up the car and they verified the reservation had been cancelled. We never cancelled the reservation. The local agent then transferred me to a corporate number.

Talked to that person and they too said the reservation had been cancelled. Asked what day and time. Made the reservation at 3:11 PM and they said it was cancelled at 10:48 PM of the same day. Never received any notification the reservation had been cancelled. Asked the agent to explain why we received an Email about our upcoming reservation. Agent was at a loss to explain it. I asked if they could reactivate the reservation. They said yes, but the rental would now be $130 more. Asked for them to explain why we had gotten a confirmation Email about our upcoming rental and if it had been cancelled. This agent was at a loss to explain as well... other than saying it sometimes gets complicated. The supervisor said they would check on the situation and she would call back within 24 hours.

Got news for you Hertz. You just lost a rental customer now and in the future. One thing they did though, was save me over $40 on the rental as we booked through another company. Smells of a bait and switch scheme. Should not take 24 hours to figure out what happened and in any event it should have been easy for them to reinstate the rental at the price we had before Hertz cancelled the reservation.

I am so angry and disappointed in Hertz. Hertz is obviously a company that overtly and deliberately cheats customers. Just read the many negative customer reviews. My experience involves being charged for loss and damage car insurance that I know I specifically denied when asked by the agent at the pick-up counter at Fort Myers, FL International Airport. Nonetheless, my Visa account was charged $211.00 for insurance that I did not want. After waiting for eternity to talk with company customer service reps about my issue, all I was told was that I signed and approved the charges for the insurance. Yes, I did initial and sign in various places on the form, as so many customers do so as to just get the car and go. Apparently, the agent disregarded, I believe deliberately as they are trained to do, my denial of insurance coverage.

The only response that I would get from company reps was, "Well, you did sign a legal contract accepting the coverage." Case closed. I can only imagine the amount of money that Hertz makes scamming customers this way. As I told the Hertz reps, me and family will never ever have anything to do with Hertz again. A tough lesson learned. Hertz, you should be ashamed of yourself. As mentioned earlier, my experience took place at Fort Myers, FL International (RSW) Airport, but, no doubt, this occurs at many more, if not all, Hertz locations. Hertz should change their name to Hurts Rental Cart Service!

I was referred to Hertz from my insurance company. Worst customer service experience ever. I spent 3 hours trying to get the billing correct, then they gave me a dirty car with sensor lights on. I return the car, to find out later my credit card was charged $300 for a car wash because I had a air freshener in the car... Are you kidding me!!!

Seven of my friends from Texas and Okla are planning a trip to Nashville, TN. They are my guests and my husband and I decided to rent a 12 passenger van so we could travel 4 days around the area and be together. I stopped by Hertz in Hendersonville, TN, to book a 12 passenger van. I actually stopped by 2 times. Spoke both times to Hank, the manager, he told us. He refused to take a deposit but said everything would be fine without it. I called one week before our pick-up to confirm and was told no vans were booked for June 13. I ask to speak to Hank and was told he was out of the country. Following calls to 2 other Hertz locations in the Nashville area I was told no vans were available. I have my own travel business and this kind of behavior is rare and unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

I was in Seattle on vacation with my kids...single mom who had saved & saved...& asked if I would be billed for tolls or would Hertz add charges to toll fees. The attendant guaranteed they would send me a bill to pay the toll company directly. I used one, which was $5. I never got a bill, just a $32 charge on my card from Hertz. Either they're incredibly dishonest, or they hire people off the street who have no clue what they're doing & just give any answer to get rid of you & move on to the next person in line.

It hurts to use Hertz. I recently rented a car from Hertz in Orlando. It took an hour to get up to the desk just to do the paperwork even though I had prepaid for the car. 50 people in line with 3 workers and 9 computer terminals. I was asked about adding extra insurance, which I declined. But it appears that he added it to my rental anyway as I now have an added cost of $360 for a $343 rental on my credit card. I called them and they said because I signed for the car that it was an authorized charge and that all they could do is offer a $175 refund. Never again will I rent a car from Hertz.

We rented from Hertz through Priceline for a trip to Austin, TX from 5-25-17 to 5-31-17. I reserved the car on Priceline and did the prepay option. When we got to the car rental place in Austin, we had to wait in line for an hour. When it was finally our turn, we went up and told the guy we wanted only what we had already paid for. He asked about insurance and I said, "no, only what's included with what we paid."

He then said the last time we rented a car from them, we chose an additional coverage option which would be an extra $15 total added to our bill. He was very pushy about it. My husband said, "ok, fine if it's only $15." He then said the total would be $245 something. I said, "well we already paid Priceline $232." He said he couldn't see what we had paid but that we would only be charged the difference. So confirmed with him that the total was $245 and we paid $232 so it would be about a $13 difference. He said yes. We also never got a receipt when we dropped the car off.

When we got home, I saw they billed me for an additional $245 dollars. I called them thinking they made a mistake. They said the additional money was for the insurance!! I explained to them what happened and what we were told and they basically said too bad. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and ended up talking to Luann, who may have been the rudest and most unprofessional person I have ever spoken with. She offered me half the money back like she was doing me a favor. She also said it really doesn't matter what the guy told us if we signed an agreement. However, we were lied to and scammed into by this customer service person. She said we "misunderstood" him. I said, "how is it a misunderstanding when I clarified numbers with him?" All she could say was the same thing and every time I made a new point to her, she would interrupt me and ask if she could have a turn to talk. She would then repeat herself.

She ended up getting very very nasty with me and told me "her offer to give 1/2 back was off the table and I would be charged the full $245." She then told me to dispute it with my bank. I said, "and then what?" She said, "they will call us and we will tell them you are wrong and you will be charged the full $245." SO, basically, they train the employees to be pushy and scammy with customers. They then blame the customer and are very rude about it. I will never be using Hertz again and I will make sure to spread the word to others.

Was given a rental car on a Saturday due to mine being an "approved" provider from State Farm insurance. What a joke. My husband spent hours on the phone to talk to someone regarding this car I was suppose to drive, and the insurance company backs. The rear end is going out of this 2015 Jeep whatever it is - I will have to wait now until Monday as my car was wrecked by a State Farm driver, and this is what state farm insurance endorses? Wow! Bad customer service, do you not check these vehicles out before they are leased? What if this was a family leasing this on a vacation? Hertz and State Farm insurance... What a team!

After I reserved a car online with the pay now option, I received my email confirmation of payment and reservation. There was a disclaimer stating that a debit card couldn't be used in the U.Saturday. Funny, I used a debit card and the funds were taken out of my account! After over a week of same result conversations with Hertz and a 1-3 day guarantee of refund. I'm sitting here without my money and a new 3-5 day guarantee! CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR! Never again!

My wife and I had a very unfortunate start to our holiday in Morocco while procuring our Hertz rental car at the Casablanca airport. We proceeded straight for the Hertz booth after immigration. Although the rental had been prepaid and we had our own insurance we still got the “hard sell” treatment on Hertz insurance (but that wasn’t completely unexpected).

At the Hertz parking area the attendant pulled a Fiat Panda out and performed an inspection. He then told us that the paperwork was for the wrong car and he would have to get the correct papers from the office. We took the opportunity to mention that we would prefer the Hyundai i10 that was listed on our confirmation. (One was parked 5m away.) In retrospect that must have been our undoing since he immediately turned the car off where it sat, locked it and pocketed the key. Turning to us he said, if you want another car you will have to go back to the office. Recalling how crowded it was, and considering the distance, we immediately said we would take the Fiat. He headed off to take care of someone else anyway and proceeded to process several more customers while we waited.

Having been awake for the last 24 hours travelling, we were slow to realize that we must have made him mad without realizing it. I went over to him and apologized for whatever we may have said or done but that gesture had no effect as he continued to process several more customers. I then went back to the Terminal to change money, buy a SIM card and go to the washroom. It was going to take quite a while so my wife and I felt sure that he would be finished punishing us and the car would be loaded and ready to go when I got back.

Returning, I found her still waiting beside the locked car. Apparently he had refused to help her without the piece of paper he had already given to us and I had put in my wallet. So I got the paper out and my wife took it over to him but he proceeded to process several more customers as they arrived. At this point we were covering in the shade of the car trying to consider our options and salvage our vacation. We began to realize that the situation had morphed into some kind of sick game where we were the entertainment. The afternoon we had planned in Marrakesh was gone and we were worried that we wouldn’t get to our prepaid Riad before dark.

Suddenly a second attendant appeared with a look of pity on his face and intervened on our behalf. We finally got the keys and, on a parting note, were told that if we brought the car back before they opened they would have to take the entire 1400 USD pre-authorized deposit, even if there was only one scratch. We have done a lot of traveling but have never been so intimidated and humiliated at the same time. We drove away more than 4 hours after beginning the pickup process.

Luckily I noticed that the gas light was on; in fact there was only a recommended range of 14 km remaining. We filled the tank at the closest gas station. (I have a receipt for 370 MAD). I contacted the Hertz Morocco office, where the online reservation had been made, about the empty tank and our treatment. Although email contact had previously been very responsive, no reply was ever received. Further attempts to contact Hertz have met with no response. The car was returned with a full tank of gas, cleaned and detailed, without a single mark outside or inside.

I reserved a car, prepaid for it and was refused the opportunity to rent the car. My money was not reimbursed immediately which left me stranded. On Saturday May 27th my car broke down. I was on program to sing for my sister who died from cancer. I have rented from Hertz regularly as an employee for my company so I assumed that all was well. I had to get a ride from my home to the Natural Bridge location. Thinking that I would have a rental car I told my ride to leave. I arrived to the counter and all was well until I presented my debit card.

The representative refused to take the debit card even though your policy states that you accept debit cards and I was refused a rental car. I was stranded and unable to rent another car due to the money that was extracted from my account when I prepaid for the reservation. I was told that I could probably rent from AVIS by one of your employees and told that it was just down the highway. I desperately walked to Avis only to find that the reservation had not been canceled from Hertz and my money was not replaced on my account. I missed my sister's funeral and was without a ride for two hours.

It is May 30, 2017 and I still do not have my money placed back on my account. This is false advertisement, lack of consideration and dangerous for those of us who do not live in the state of Missouri and have no one to help us. We assume that you will honor your policy when we rent from your company. Your policy was not honored and I am suffering immensely from NO closure of the death of my sister. I'm embarrassed to talk to my family because I was placed on the program to sing and never arrived! I'm disappointed and will inform my supervisors at the college of why I will not use Hertz for my company trips or any other trips for that matter. This behavior is inexcusable and wrong.

Ugh! Where do I start? Professionalism. F. Courtesy... F. Service... F. Communication... F. Vehicle upkeep. F. Ok. Long story short: I was in an auto accident. Hertz was the company I'd chosen because it was closer. They delivered me a vehicle out to my home but NEVER explained they'd only taken credit cards. Problem was I didn't have a credit card. I'd asked if they'd taken debit cards. They said yes. But, then, because my debit card didn't have a major credit card logo on it they couldn't accept it.

The next day, I go open a checking account (just to get a debit card with that major credit card logo on it). I return back to Hertz. The representatives were extremely UNPROFESSIONAL (on personal calls while I'm waiting to be serviced) and business very shabby! Finally, they offer me a Versa. I'm 6' 225 lbs. Needless to say, I refused. A customer then pulls up in a Ford Escape. The rep and me walk around the car and inspect it. The gas tank is less than a quarter. They're about to close, so he says, "They pretty much kept it up." He didn't thoroughly check it at all. I accepted the vehicle "as is" (no cleaning, no refueling, no vacuuming, nothing)! Fast forward...

I have the vehicle for two weeks. I return the vehicle. The rep and me walk around the vehicle (inspecting it). He opens the door to check the gas. It's nearly empty. He suggests I go bring it to quarter tank so I'm not charged nearly $10 per gallon (which is robbery in itself)! He tells me my total will be $120 plus tax, bringing it to about $140. A week later my bank account is charged $440! Whoa! WTH! I immediately call Hertz. He says, "There was smoke scent and ash on the floor." Problem is I didn't smoke in the car (not to mention nothing about smoking was ever mentioned). I never took the car to be cleaned nor vacuumed when initially getting it. If there was smoke scent in the vehicle, why did he not say something when we inspected the car, when warning me about the gas. It was **! That's why!

They used that as an excuse to incur and trump up extra charges to make more money. As I stated earlier the car wasn't vacuumed nor cleaned when I'd receive it. ALL I can say is DON'T EVER... EVER... NEVER USE HERTZ! I should've went with my first instinct and went with Enterprise! Never had a problem nor issue with them.

I hired a car from Newquay Airport booked through Orbitz as it was the most competitive price. I arrived at the airport on a bank holiday and was told I would need to pay an additional £145.00 for insurance. I tried to cancel my reservation with Orbitz but could not and the girl in the office could not help with this situation as she was not able to "override the system'. I wanted to rebook the car through Hertz UK but it said there were no cars available for pick up from the airport. It would have cost me £100 for a taxi to take me to my home in Cornwall and the girl in the Hertz office advised I contact customer services the next day if I took the car. So I took the car and called the next day and spoke to a very rude and unhelpful man who told me to write to another department.

I did this and received another email four days later telling me to write to yet another place. I did so and also tried to call the office at Newquay for further advice as advised by the rude man I initially spoke to. No answer at the airport. No response for the week I was in Cornwall and when I dropped the car back I asked again for help with the matter only to be told it can take 10 days to receive a reply. In fact it took two weeks and no favourable answer other than I had used the car and therefore there was nothing they could do to partially refund the amount paid to match what I would have paid if booking directly with Hertz UK.

I wrote again saying I was dissatisfied with the handling of my complaint and the length of time taken to respond. Again it took 10 days to receive a reply. When I wrote saying I wanted to make a complaint about customer services at Hertz, I received a reply from Customer Services saying the matter was closed. I feel Hertz could have been more understanding particularly as I have rented with them before from this location and would have continued to do so in the future. However, I have now lost all confidence in this company and would not recommend them.

Do not ever make the mistake of reserving a rental car from Hertz. We planned a vacation to take our grandchildren down to Florida and reserved a minivan in Wichita Ks @ the Webb Rd location. Two days before our reservation was to start the manager, Marco called to say they did not have a vehicle for us. I called the corporate offices and they said they could not do anything. I called Hertz at the airport and they had 4 minivans available. Marco could have got us a van 15 miles from his location and refused to do anything. Did not return call as he promised. Rented from Alamo. Took my grandchildren to Florida and had a great trip.

Will never rent from Hertz! Terrible customer service! Need a qualified manager at the Webb Road location. Even left emails for corporate officers with no response. Was told the territory manager, Kelly, did not have an office or phone, only an email. They lie and do not take care of their customers. Do NOT rent from Hertz if you have a trip planned, as they will not guarantee you a vehicle even if you have a confirmation number and even if they have a vehicle 15 miles away available. Worst company ever!

My family and I are in Hawaii on vacation and it's our second day here and we were planning to go to the volcano national park. We drove well over an hour there and every time we stopped at a lookout and turned off the vehicle the key wouldn't turn the car on, we continued to try 6-7 times before the car was able to start then after the next look out the car again would not start, saying "key not recognized", we then decided to call and report this.

The first person we spoke to, Laura, said hold the key fob to the start button for 20 seconds and it would work, this did not work. We then called again and they asked if we could bring the car back to the airport (over and hour away) so we then had to leave the park we just paid to be in to drive 50+ miles back to the airport. He also let us know this is a normal problem with Pathfinders, which confused us to as why they would be renting this car if they knew the car may not start.

When we arrived at the airport the man working, Paul, said he was never called to be notified about this issue so we had to wait for them to find a car. He offered another car which is also known to have the same problem he said. So annoyed we said no wanted a different car. He then complained that we were "ruining the beginning of his 8hr shift" also that he didn't want to hear about it for the third time. Thankfully he gave us a better car (Ford Explorer) and took one day off our rental. However we lost most of the day driving back and forth and won't have time to return to the volcanoes. Really disappointing and will defiantly not be using Hertz anymore.

I took my sister to pick up her reserved car that she reserved 4 weeks in advance. They asked for her social security number and said that she could not rent the car because her credit score was too low. WTF, who uses a credit score to rent out cars. She had credit and debit card, she was willing to pay a deposit and they still denied her. She was leaving on family vacation that day and they decide to tell her she couldn't have the car at time of pick up and not before. Her whole vacation was blown. She already paid for the whole trip and they screw her at the last minute. This company is complete crap and don't take of customers. Worse customer service ever. BEWARE DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. YOUR WHOLE VACATION OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU NEED THE CAR FOR WILL BE RUINED!!!

I rented and prepaid a car for about two weeks in Israel. I used Hertz because I am a Gold Club member. I picked up the car at the Tel-Aviv Airport. I prepaid the entire rental $225. In Israel Hertz is represented by a company by the name Kesher. When I picked the car up I was asked if I wanted insurance and I declined stating I have insurance with my American Express credit card. "No problem," they said. On the second day after picking up the car I added my brother as additional driver because he was going to [and did] return the car for me after my vacation.

After my return to the US I was surprised to see an extra charge of $554 and another one for $141.51. Of course I called the car rental customer service in Israel and I had the [mis]fortune of speaking to lady by the name Lili. I explained to her why I called and she proceeded to yell at me that the charge was for insurance and that I must have insurance. I told her that I declined and I was even asked to sign that I declined. She asked me if I presented a document from my insurance company proving I have insurance. I told her that I was not asked but anyway I never, ever had to produce a document because I was never asked.

She proceeded to chastise me in her belligerent [high] tone and told me I must have insurance and the charges are staying. I told her that the charges were fraudulent because I did not authorize them and anyway it is a scam. Nobody informed me that they will charge me insurance in spite of the fact that I declined and informed the agent at the TLV airport that I have coverage via American Express. I therefore informed the lady that I placed a hold on the additional charges and I will not pay for their fraud.

Beware of this conduct when and if you rent a car with Hertz or any other company. This is a low, dirty way to gouge tourists without shame. It is very sad for me because I love Israel and it is very inappropriate trapping tourists and [basically] stealing their money. Shame on Kesher. BTW, the lady I talked to should not be near customers let alone be a customer service representative. Her rudeness was surpassed only by her foul and loud mouth and her obvious attempt to bully me on the phone.

Updated on 06/05/17: I don't really know what qualifications Ms. Janet ** has for investigating customer complaints but she obviously decided I am a liar. I spent and paid over $10,000 for this trip but I am trying to wiggle out of a few hundred. Logic? None. Here is her response email to me which I really dub flippant. "This is in follow-up to our previous correspondence. We have been advised by the office in Israel, you contacted their Call Center on May 22 and was advised all charges for rental record ** have been reviewed and found to be correct. The LDW was accepted at $345.00, Theft Protection for $90 and Additional Authorized Operator at $82.50 plus tax. I have attached your rental charges. We regret no adjustment is due."

I usually use Enterprise when I fly in several times a year into Tallahassee. I used Hertz this time because our corporate site showed a good rate. Terrible mistake. First, the car was filthy. There was so much bird poo on the windshield I couldn't see out and had to use ALL the wiper fluid to see. I had to refill it myself later. The car took multiple attempts to start. I was told by the not helpful fellow at the airport desk that there were no more cars available and he made it clear they don't care much about this location at Hertz. So I was stuck with this junker. I had to get to the airport at 430 am for an early flight and found out the hard way that there are no longer any open gas stations near the airport at night. Clearly Hertz knows this because they charge a whopping $9.99/gallon refueling charge. Added nearly $100 to my weekly rental fee. Contacted Hertz and they couldn't care less. They seem okay with renting inferior and junky cars and price gauging.

Worst customer service ever. Rented a car out of Newark Airport. The car was a Kia Forte with a 13.2 gallon gas tank. Upon returning the vehicle I filled it and the Hertz employee checked and marked off "FULL" on the paperwork on 5/08/17. On 5/10/17 2 days after my return I get a charge from Hertz with no explanation, then I get a letter from Hertz HQ, stating, "Although we checked off 'FULL' on your return you were charged 56.44 for 5.65 gallons of gas." If there was 5.65 gallons missing on a 13.2 gallon tank the tank would have registered HALF FULL. I am sure your employees know the difference between FULL and HALF FULL. Thanks for your service. I disputed the charges with American Express and will use your own letter to get my money back. Thanks again and I will never recommend nor will I use your company again for my rentals.

Very rude, unprofessional, and in my experience, untrustworthy. We made a reservation a full week in advance. When we got there, they acknowledged we had a reservation, but they didn't have a car for us. They rented it to someone else, and said there were 30 people ahead of us on a waiting list for a car. How is that possible, when he had a confirmed reservation? They did say they would rent us a different car for more money. What??? Why make a reservation, if they won't honor it? There was a hail storm this week, so you do the math. Very poor customer service. I will never rent from them again, since they can take a reservation, but it doesn't mean there will be a car when I get there.

Hertz is utilizing a company which clear is producing invalid charges against consumer credit cards and trying to force the consumer to prove they are invalid instead of the PlatePass proving they are valid. They get the credit card information from Hertz but Hertz does not want to do anything about it and you are referred to PlatePass.

We rented the car from the local airport since it is the least expensive or I so thought. It was till extra charges appear on my credit card bill. As I mentioned, I am local to the airport. I needed the car for 5 days while my car was in the body shop because I was rear-ended. All my cars have E-ZPass. Why would anyone in their right mind take PlatePass if they already have E-ZPass. We declined all additional charges on the car rental agreement but PlatePass still billed us.

PlatePass say they will investigate it and if the mileage does not warrant the tolls they will resolve it... BUT if not I must produce something with a date and time on it which says I was not on that road. CAN YOU SAY "SCAM"... As soon as the credit charges clear the pending status, I will dispute the bill... But a consumer should never have to go through this process for any supplier. It is the last time I will use Hertz... Back to my local Enterprise dealer.

You reserve a car. They give you a price. Then you get to the counter and they start adding stuff. When final bill comes AFTER you dropped off the car, you are left with a huge bill. Trying to see what I can do now but not counting on much luck.

Talk about bait and switch. I'm a big man, 6'3'' close to 300 lbs. So accordingly I rented a car with sufficient room for my frame, a Chrysler 200. They stuck me with a Camry. I got to drive 500 miles with my head against the ceiling and my knees on the steering wheel, miserable. I complained and got laughed at by Hertz employees. Do not use this company as they are dishonest and do not care about their customers.

Very bad experience. We had rented a car from Hertz on 26th April and returned it to them on 5th May. Yesterday we had a small accident, the logo of the car came off and we explained the incident to their office while returning the car. There was some roadside work going on and The fault was of the construction company. We honestly narrated the whole incident to their office lady and returned the keys. We had no insurance cover and hence their office demanded 3450 nzd dollars from us. But we told them that we do not have that much money with us currently.

Then they made us sign a form named "acknowledgement of Debt". And today we got transaction alert email from our bank stating that all our remaining money is gone. Now we have no money left with us for our remaining trip. What should we do? Honestly the damage happened to the car was very minor. They have already taken our deposit of 200 nz dollars And taking any further amount from us against the damage is not right. Are they seriously charging us 1200 nz dollars for a minor logo? This is so stupid and they spoilt our whole trip. NEVER TRUST THEM AGAIN.

When booking online I reserved a car for 503.19 USD for 2 weeks for a pick up at Kralendijk Airport, Bonaire. Upon arrival I had to pay 960. In the small print it never states that the offer is including insurance. And at the location you are forced to take insurance. Beware of this misleading practice, avoid Hertz and go with Budget and AB Car Rental where we rented in the past with a smooth and reliable experience.

If I could rate lower than a 1 I would. After totaling my car my insurance company issued me a rental with Hertz. I took it out of necessity to get to and from work while the adjuster were determining what to do with my car. I was told It would cost me $96 dollars, 50 of which was for a security deposit my insurance company required but I would receive back. When ask what coverage I wanted, I was not given options, I said whatever State Farm will pay for. I signed a keypad device and swiped my debit card, agreeing on the aforementioned $96 dollars. That amount appeared on my account then a few laters it vanished, I assumed State Farm had reimbursed me or them.

Upon returning the car I call the next day to make sure everything was fine, I was told it was. A few days later I received an email from State Farm showing they had paid our Hertz, only a day later I see a charge from Hertz for $250 dollars. I called customer service assuming it may just be a mix up. I was told it's a charge for an insurance that I selected and since I sign the contract (keypad device) they couldn't reverse it. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told no one was available but they could take my name and number, which I gave and request that they call me that day. I never got a call back. I have now filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a dispute with my bank.

I would have not selected any stars if given the option. Renting a car from Hertz - don't do it. I recently rented a car from them due to a car accident. The only reason I used them was because they were in the same building where I was having my car fixed. I advised them of my insurance limits and stressed that I did not want to go over the allowable limit including the taxes etc. Well they assured me they gave me a car within my limits etc. When I returned the car I was told again there were no additional charges.

Well lo and behold almost 30 days later they went and withdrew 137.00 out of my account with no notification. When I called to question they were anything but helpful and I was told the person who handled my rental was no longer in that office. I even called the corporate office. I am guessing they don't train their employees very well to know how to keep it within limits. I would have accepted a cheaper car to avoid the extra cost and stressed that at the time of the rental. I should have used Enterprise as my insurance co. suggested as I had used them in the past and never had a problem. They are honest and considerate of insurance limits not trying to scam you into additional fees. I would never use Hertz again.

I was in an accident and the person who hit me is insured with AAA and they have a contract with Hertz. I needed a rental car for a couple weeks and when I dropped my car off at the body shop Hertz was over an hour late to pick me up to take me to their location (which you'd think they'd have a car waiting if good customer service). The driver took me to one location in Belmont and that Hertz guy was at lunch and so we had to then drive to the Redwood City, CA location and of course it took forever to get my car (which turned out it needed an oil change and the back right brake light was out). Made me furious!

So I decided to switch my rental car a few days later at a closer location and the gal told me to come back at 2pm (it was 11 when I stopped by) for a car that they didn't have any right then. (WHAT! Aren't you a rental car business??) So I was right back there at 4pm and still NO cars. And then two other customers came in looking for their cars as well and guess what... YUP no car for them either. Needless to say the lady at Hertz had three very unhappy customers. I waited until nearly 6pm for my car. UNBELIEVABLE!!! HATE HERTZ. Will avoid them at all costs going forward. GET SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE GOING.

Apparently when you drop a car at Hertz and have been told it has been looked at and handed a final bill, your contract is still open. I received a call 9 hours after I turned in a car from the same gentleman who checked it in saying it now smelled like smoke and there were ashes on the floor. He admits that he did not see the ashes or smell anything when he checked it in. He also now says he was not checking it in just receiving it and looking for major damage. First off anything that costs $250 to fix I consider major damage. Second if it was so obvious why was the Airport Manager not able to smell or see it when he checked in my car? Even after trying to compromise since this was my rental, I am now stuck with a $250 charge for something that was not noticed when I dropped off car only found hours later on an open lot. I feel that as a responsible customer I did my best trying to find a compromise to our problem.

But as a customer I also feel taken advantage of at this point. I will say for a car with 31,000 miles on it, there was only a slight smell to it, bumper damage was acceptable, and finding another person's belongings under the seat happens. But even with all this there is no chance a cleaner missed the ash, or it came from one of at least 3 other Hertz employees who were in car. Was not asking to get off Scot free since I did sign contract, just was asking for compromise on how hard I got shafted. Btw when I did confront the Airport Manager about his lack of professionalism in front of customers he laughed it off a banter with another employee. Personally when an employee shows and then says they are not answering the phone today, I think it looks bad. Especially when the help was needed. Notice on receipt it says statement of charges I thought this meant final charges, not final unless we want to tack on more I guess.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.
  • Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.
  • Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.
  • Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.
  • Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.
  • Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.
  • Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Compare Rental Cars