1.10/5

2150 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Hertz charged us 40 euros for "scuffed floor mats" and for hoovering a smattering of sand along with the dust they would have hoovered anyway. When we returned the car, they inspected it and said it was fine ("there's no damage, so no charge"), but hours later, on the way home, we received an email informing us that they would be taking 40 euros extra "to cover damage". From other comments, it would seem that this sting in the tail is a matter of policy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

So I went over to the Hertz rental office in Tarry Town NY. It seems like that office got off to a slow start. I decided to go over to the location in Elmsford NY where I met ** 3rd Branch Manager at 54 North Central Avenue Elmsford NY, 10523 and he made things a lot better. I explained to him that I was in a rush to fix my vehicle and had to get to work. He assured me that he was going to make sure he get me out fast and was and he delivered just as promised. He was professional, courteous, and well mannered even though I came in a bit frustrated. There should be more branch managers such as **. I will definitely come back to this office.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

It has not been 3 months, and still no return on my deposit!! I have made numerous attempts to have my deposit returned since June 2018. I have disputed it with my credit card with no avail, and talked to 5 people so far. Awaiting a call from a "supervisor" now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They had larger vehicles but wouldn't give it to me for the same rate of my reservation. Had to wait over two hours for them to find me a car (get oil changes on their cars) even though my reservation was made in advance. Also, their 1-800 number sent me to an office that wasn't open yet (that one should be an easy fix). Their system is defunct and doesn't work. Use enterprise instead, never had any problems with them on personal rental.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Don't bother rent from Hertz to get any points. We rented for about 2 months and got over 2000 points for paying a few thousand dollars. Then we bought a car from Hertz and received another 3000 points or so. With a new car we didn't need a rental. I received an email from Hertz saying even though we didn't rent from them, our Gold status was still active. No mention of any expiring points. No warning. Nothing. Two weeks ago I went to rent a car and was told that our points were wiped out. Contacted Hertz and was told that all they can do is give us 1 day rental.

We gave them almost $20,000 in business and they reward us with a $20 bucks rental for 1 day. This is a joke. Go somewhere else. To make matters worse they had no courtesy pick up when I needed the rental. Driver was at lunch. I got the rental late and my appointment was canceled 2 miles after I left the location. I turned around and returned the car immediately. Receipt shows that I drove 5 miles. Still Hertz charged me a full $72 for the rental not used and returned within 15 min. Rental Agreement - **. Emailed Hertz to see if we could get a refund. No response. I highly recommend that you avoid Hertz.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Rented a 2017 Nissan Altima. First off I wanted a full-size car what I got was what Hertz calls full size which is midsize. Car had 30,000+ miles with worn out tires on the front and new on the back. They were OEM Michelin and backs were aftermarket Lemans band tires. Rained all 3 days in San Antonio. Car kept sliding around on wet roads. Could not understand why. Only figured out when I took it back. Under the cover of the parking garage I saw that the backs did not look like the front. That's when I noticed they were not the same brand.

Both back tires were newer tires with good tread. Then I looked at the front. Saw that the Michelins were worn down. They looked like 30,000+ miles tires with very little tread. Hertz claims it's not their policy to change all 4 tires and mismatch brands/tread can be on the car. Then they said tires are also not covered should one go flat or blow out unless you bought their insurance. With tires being the most important part on a car seems like Hertz is willing to risk your safety to save a few bucks.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I am a first time Gold Plus Member. When I approached the agent, she was very elderly and appeared to be half asleep along with the agent next to her. I myself am a senior citizen who just off a flight and was very tired. The agent ask me if I would like to pay my gas a head of time and I said yes and my wife and friend who was with me heard it also. She never at once go over the contract or tell me I was unable to pay for gas ahead when she looked at my profile.

When I dropped off my vehicle, the agent in garage say you will receive your receipt in your email. When I looked at my receipt I saw my gas charge for refueling charge. I called customer service, and said prepaid gas was not on my profile, thus the agent never put in the computer. I told the agent, why ask me in the first place, and why not say I needed to update the profile or walk thru the charges? Customer service admits that they thought I knew what I was doing since I was a gold member. Gold member benefit is part of my retirement discounts. I am a senior and felt taken. Nashville Tennessee Airport, Contract #**. Dispute of 82.78 charge.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

While on a recent holiday in Tulum, Mexico, I was disappointed though not surprised when crooked local police pulled me over in an effort to extort money from me; when the agents at the Cancun Airport Hertz Rental Car office tried to rip me off - I must admit I was both disappointed AND surprised. A few days before, I had booked a car from Hertz using Expedia. When choosing which company to rent from, most sites including Europcar quoted $80 total for the six-day rental. Wanting to rent from a reputable company, I decided to pay double at Hertz.

Before leaving the States, I called my credit card company to confirm that they provided insurance on rental cars. Yes, the agent told me, I was safe and covered to decline all additional insurance coverage from Hertz. Upon arrival to the neon light and nauseatingly tutti-fruity smelling headquarters in Cancun, I was greeted by an agent who explained to me that in Mexico, it was illegal to decline supplemental insurance, and despite what my credit card company claimed, I would be compelled to take out a costly insurance policy. I had no choice. Additionally, she claimed, if anything happened to the car, I would be compelled to pay immediately out of pocket and sort things out directly with my credit card company, but that Hertz has a policy of not releasing any records to my credit card company.

Frustrated, delayed and very eager to simply start my vacation, I finally acquiesced, understanding that the supplemental insurance would cost me an additional 15 dollars a day. Can you imagine my surprise when I reviewed my receipt a few days later and realized that the Hertz agent was charging me $500 for the car for which I had budgeted $160? And upon closer review of the charges, she added two separate insurance policies to my bill, as well as a second driver though I was very clear from the start that only one of us intended to drive. I am horrified and disgusted by the overt swindle attempt by Hertz Rental Car. My question to Hertz is: how can you treat customers like this? No better than some corrupt cops trying to extort money from unaware tourists. It is unconscionable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I rented a car for Tampa, Florida for August 6 to return August 8 2018. I get back to NY and see a charge for $400 to clean the car off smoke. I went through the proper channels and was promised a return call from the supervisor. I am 66 years old and do not smoke! I never got the callback, I never heard from them again. Beware of the advantage they take from senior citizens!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

In June, I reserved a car to pick up at the Hertz location in Davis, CA on August 3. On August 1, I received a confirmation email for the Davis location. When we got to Davis, there was no Hertz office at that address. The Hertz office had closed weeks earlier and the location was now a used car lot. Hertz apparently couldn't be bothered with notifying customers with reservations at that location that it was being closed.

We spent $75 on a taxi to the Sacramento Airport, the closest available location with an available car (from Enterprise). We also paid a $50 drop off fee to return that car to Enterprise's Davis location on August 6. I've tried to contact Hertz to request reimbursement for those expenses, but the email sent to the address on their website bounces back as undeliverable. I am contemplating small claims court as the next best option.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I've spent the last couple of months trying to dispute a rental. I rented a vehicle from the Columbia-Gervais on June 1. My return was for June 4th. However I was in an accident on June 3rd and Hertz was the first to be notified. However I received an bill and withdrawal from my account of 1529. I called and spoke with Hertz on the 14th and they stated they will handle. I was currently waiting on a phone call. So I was then directed to contact the branch manager. The employees continue to state the manager was not there and they will get her to contact me. Never received a call.

I do not feel I owe two weeks of rental because I was in a wreck on the 3rd. The representative agreed. There was also a cleaning fee that if I could've cleaned up I would have. They had the car stored for 3 weeks. I honestly don't feel that's my fault. Now I receive an email saying I declined the loss waiver. I purchase the insurance EVERY time rent a vehicle. It's in my profile. I've been renting with this company for years and it brings tears to my eyes that this has happened to me. I've been renting cars for over a decade and I just asked for a little compassion, consideration and fairness. I will never rent from them and will never recommend them. Because their only reply is, "Sorry. That's how it goes."

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Eleven days ago, I was approved as a new driver for Lyft. Lyft has a program where they refer many drivers to Hertz to rent a car on a weekly rate. I was required to give Hertz a $250.00 deposit, when I picked the car up and a rate of $210.00 plus tax and fees, for a total weekly rate of $250.00. Over the years, I have dealt with companies like Enterprise, Avis and Budget Rent a Car. So I'm quite familiar with the type of customer service that I would expect to receive when renting a car.

From the moment I arrived at the Hertz location located at 24th street and McDowell in Phoenix Arizona, I noticed that the rental agents running the office, were slow and lacking of any enthusiasm to assist me. The two male agents who assisted me, did not answer my questions about my rental, a 2016 Nissan Sentra. They just gave me the keys and pointed to a location in the parking lot. I was told that the gas tank was full, and would be expected to be returned with a full tank gas upon its return. I quickly noticed that the tank was only half full and returned to the office and told the agent about it. He just sat there and said ok, and I left.

My first two days driving, I was unable to pick up a single passenger, which I discovered was caused by a problem with the Lyft application that was installed on my new Smartphone. The Sentra had 64,000 miles on it and did not drive well at all and when I used my cell phone, the car stereo would turn on by itself at high volume startling me and my passengers. First, I called the toll free number displayed on my rental agreement and spoke to Hertz customer service. I was told that I would have to take the car back to the location I rented it from. So on Monday, Labor Day, I drove 23 miles, to find that Hertz was closed for the holiday. Today, September 7th at 7:45 am, I went back to Hertz. When the taller male agent arrived about 20 minutes later, I approached him with my concerns about the rental car. He rudely interrupted me saying, that he did not open until 9:00 am and that I'd have to wait.

Then I asked him whether they had another car to give me. He rudely responded that he probably did not, but he would check at 9:00 am. Stunned, by the treatment I was receiving, I returned to the sofa and sat down for my 45-minute wait. At 9:10 the other male agent who was very short gentleman and sporting a beard walked in. I patiently waited for some help until 9:30, when the short guy rudely said That I would have to take my Sentra to a car wash, and remove my belongings before returning it for a different rental, then went about his business.

At this point, I was getting quite irritated by the sub-standard treatment that I was receiving from these Hertz employees. Rather than getting into a confrontation, I left to find a car wash. I kept thinking to myself that they had issued me a vehicle that should not have been used in its condition. From many of my prior experiences, if I had a mechanical problem with a rental car, I would be offered an upgrade and the rental agents would show real concern for my inconvenience. My experience this morning was the worst I could ever expect from a place of business like Hertz Rent a Car. It took me about an hour getting the car washed. Before I left, the short guy with the beard made it clear that I could choose from another Sentra or a Hyundai Elantra. so I told him I'd take the Elantra.

When I got back from the Car Wash, I expected that my Elantra would be ready and I would be able to leave. Well, it took at least another 45 minutes waiting and watching other Lyft drivers who came way later than me, leaving with their new rental cars. The heavy-set female agent called me up to the counter for a signature and sitting next to her was the tall agent, who I initially spoke to over 3.5 hours earlier. I had reached my boiling point and told him that I was a paying customer and that he had no right to treat me like he was doing me a favor. He apparently saw that I was angry, and did not say another word.

Finally, after spending the entire morning and $14.99 for a car wash the girl gave me my new keys and pointed to the parking lot. In the parking lot, I could not find an Elantra anywhere, so I pushed the red button on the keyless entry, which set off the alarm to another Sentra. After my experience this morning, I strongly advise that anyone reading this review to use any other car rental agency, not Hertz...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We had to rent a car after my husband was rear ended and his truck was totaled. Our insurance company took care of everything hours before we left. The employee had no idea who we were, told us they were very busy and couldn’t be on the computer all day checking for people that need cars and they didn’t have any cars-call back tomorrow. OMG! I’ve never been treated so rudely and the business was empty but us. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Rented an SUV for 2 days and got charged for 4 because of the holiday and we were late in returning the vehicle on the 3rd day. Called customer service for hours with no answer at the Worcester, MA airport location and mailbox was full. Wanted to return the vehicle to another location and it would of cost another $1,000.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I rented a car with Hertz for a recent vacation in Sardinia. Overall, we were EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED with Hertz. We prepaid a reservation in a value that was supposed to include taxes, CDW and theft protection insurances and local and car fees. To our surprise, when the final invoice of the rental arrived, there were additional taxes included and the prices of the local and car fees had been increased, such that the values did not match and we were charged the difference. Furthermore, nowhere in the website did it state that the second driver waiver granted to Hertz Gold clients was only valid from the second rental on, in what I see as dishonest behavior on the part of Hertz. Overall, I would definitely NOT recommend Hertz to anyone (on the contrary!) due to its dishonest behavior, without any regard for the customer. They WILL come up with additional charges and increase a price that has been previously agreed on WITHOUT any warning.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Everything was great at first... other than the fact that the attendant wanted to talk about the Seattle Seahawks more than the guidelines of the car. I am be dumb but no idea I couldn’t smoke in the car (once again wasn’t explained to me). 2 days in I see the no smoking sticker almost covered my the parking pass sticker. Ok I’ll take the charge. Return the car... no email no phone call. I’m expecting they will just keep my $200 deposit... nope. Charged me $300 no details. Check my receipt “other damages”. So I call. After talking to 5 different departments I get told it was for smoking. Once again not disputing this but asked why I didn’t get a call or email. I’m then informed, “This was all explained to you when you picked up the car.” NO IT WAS NOT!!! Maybe they should hire competent people versus someone who is more interested in where you’re from and football.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I supposed to drop my car at 11:30 pm but as it was long weekend I was stuck in the traffic and I was little late and dropped my car at 12:00 am. For that reason these ** Hertz charged me one extra day of 80$. I called to customer service and they did not helped me and in return they were so much rude. I really hate Hertz and its service. ** off Hertz.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale airport on a late night flight from Newark on 9/2/18 at 1:30AM. The Ft. Lauderdale airport counter agent computer declined my credit card even though my card was good and I had sufficient credit to cover the deposit. The Hertz 800# Call Center rep was able to swipe the deposit but the local branch system would not allow a manual override. I was told by the Call Center rep that a local branch manager could authorize the manual override when he or she came in at 7AM. Since I did not want to spend the night at the airport, I took a Lyft ride home, then called the Hertz airport branch back.

Once I reach the airport branch, a woman claiming to be the manager named Rebecca, insisted that the Call Center reps were wrong: that there was no way for me to get the car with a manual override since my card had been declined. So, I called Priceline and told them my story and they immediately refunded my money for the rental less a $12.00 cancellation fee. But, after doing a 3 party call between the Hertz Call Center rep and a supervisor at my credit card company, I was told that even though my credit limit had been reduced by the Hertz charge by $200.00, it would take from 45-60 days to get my deposit back since I had never taken possession of the card; therefore, there was no rental agreement number associated with my deposit for it to be returned automatically.

I have been renting cars since the 1970s and this is the first time I have ever left the rental counter without a car. I am currently writing a certified letter to the current CEO of Hertz to inquire "how" it is possible that the local Ft. Lauderdale airport branch computer system could deny my credit card, when the corporate call center was able to verify and swipe the $200.00 deposit? What's going on with Hertz?! To add insult to injury, the reason I was renting the car was that instead of driving down from New York, my family insisted that I fly... To attend to the required paperwork filings after my wife passed away 6 weeks ago.

After seeing the negative reviews on this site as well as others, I feel thankful that I did not get a car that was on the recall list or was full of spiders as I saw in one review. I will now check the price history of Hertz Corp stock to see whether it might be a good idea to short the stock since it's clear that something is seriously amiss given the number of recent jawdropping complaints against Hertz. In the past, I held Hertz in the highest esteem as the go to #1 car rental company. Sadly, that is no longer the case. I will report back once I receive a reply from the CEO. Perhaps she doesn't know what's going on on the ground at her company!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This is to complain about the service I got from the rental agency HERTZ in Casablanca and ask for a compensation. I had a reservation through your website to pick up a car at the Casablanca airport on the 1st of July 2018. First, when I arrived there a HERTZ agent (his name is Abdelhak) misinformed and mislead me and pushed me to buy an insurance I did not want and need at the cost of $200 without giving enough information about it.

When I returned the car on the 20th of July as planned, Another HERTZ agent in charge of receiving the car was terrible and was yelling at us. He then pretended that a stripe on the vehicle was caused by me. When I rejected his allegation, he tried to modify the ‘Vehicle Conditions Report’ and I objected and tried to take a picture of it before him modifying it. He then shredded the report and threw the vehicle paper on the ground and left. I called his supervisor (I guess his name is Salim or Nasim), the supervisor did nothing and wanted me to admit and sign the modified report which I refused to do. He then blocked over $1000 on my credit card to pay for a damage I did not cause.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I reserved a 7+ passenger vehicle from the 6868 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA location for the Labor Day Holiday (8/31-9/4). I called to pick up the vehicle early but was denied because it would not be ready until my actual reservation time (no big deal; I understand that). When I arrived to pick up the rental, I was immediately told "we tried to call you to tell you we don't have the vehicle you requested and we're going to have to cancel your reservation." I explained I didn't receive a phone call and I didn't have a voicemail indicating this and the response was "I don't know what to tell you, we have to cancel the reservation."

I expressed my dissatisfaction because it was 4:30 on a Friday before a major holiday and I didn't have a rental for my family vacation and the Manager stated "all we can do is cancel the reservation, if you have an issue call the 1-800 number." After expressing how this was not good enough and this was bad customer services the manager threatened to call the cops unless I left the building immediately. She didn't even try to transfer my reservation to another location. I had to call the 1-800 number to transfer my own reservation and it costed $90 more even though the customer service rep said it would be the same price. This was the worst rental experience I've ever had and I'd avoid that location at all cost!!!

Resolution response: Sept. 8, 2018

The issue was now resolved. I went on Twitter and the Hertz Twitter team acted very fast and responsive. I am actually very impressed. They are much more faster than calling or emailing the company. However, I do hope this is the last time that what happened to me is the last time.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I picked up the car on August 26, 2018 at Logan Airport Rental Car center around 6:40 am EST. The agent who helped me was a woman. I did not get her name. She acted very fast and asked me to sign without showing me the total charge. I got the contract from her and realized there is this pre-purchased fuel option which I did not want, shortly after I left the counter. So I went back to her right away, asking her to correct the contract. She showed me the screen with the correct charge, which was around 114, if I remember correctly. She then asked me if I want to reprint the contract, and told me the correction was already in the system so I do not have to reprint. With the belief that the agent would not lie to me about this, I left the airport with the car, without reprinting the contract. I also asked the agent at the exit of the airport lot if I need to print the corrected contract, and he told me it's OK to leave.

After I returned the car, with full tank of gas, I found myself charged with the pre-purchased fuel option. I called the Logan Airport Customer Service number 617-568-5200 for at least five times on 8/26 after I returned the car, but there is no one answering my call. I then proceeded calling the number 800-654-4173 asking for refund. I was told to email the receipts to verify #hertz.com which I did. Actually, I called twice last week. The first time, the representative did not clearly told me what was needed. I had to call a second time and found out I need to email the receipts of gas charges.

However, after these two calls, there was no response. So I called the number 800-654-4173 again this morning. The first representative told me it was denied. I asked for talking to the manager, who told me I need to wait even longer until Friday. I have been using Hertz rental car since 2016 and I believe that the company is honest and can be trusted. What the agent did on 8/26 is totally unacceptable. She lied to me, I don't know if it was intentional or else. It's not a lot of money, but I lost faith in this company because of this.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Regarding Rental Record number **, completed on 28 August 2018, Hertz Bedford has not yet refunded £172.17 deposit. Unfortunately, unlike when deposit was made, refunds are not immediate. And Hertz offers no way to track and complain about such hoax.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Beware potential Hertz renters that may be dropping off cars at Hertz offices that are closed, but do have a key drop box: be very sure you take photos of the car (including the license plate), your contract paperwork, and the key/fob, prior to depositing into the box. Then check your credit card statement! Hertz charged me an extra day (total $203.03 on 08.07.18) and denied my request to correct the bill, until I produced time stamped images showing I was on time. I had to call three times and go up the ranks from customer service to a supervisor on two of those calls. They flat out did not care and the second supervisor told me in no uncertain terms, "your claim was denied!" and refused to pass me along to her supervisor.

Without my pictures, I would have been screwed. In my opinion, this is apparently a common trap they use to garner extra income at your expense. I was finally issued a $94.30 refund on 08/29, 8 days after they told me I was getting one and 22 days after they first charged my credit card on 08/07. It's still $12.84 short of the $95.89 contracted price. That's the last dollar they will steal from me. I highly recommend you rent from anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I rent a car at O'Hare every few months to drive to Milwaukee and back the next day for business. I always take the toll roads and Hertz automatically processed the charges. Not so the last trip. I received an invoice for $130 for toll violations plus fees. This is in direct conflict with the information provided on the PlatePass website, which clearly says that Illinois is in the program. So if there was no transponder in the car or the transponder was defective, that should be on Hertz, not on me. After several attempts, I got a terse response that the fine print in the contract (which I never saw) says that this was my responsibility while ignoring my point that they are advertising that Illinois is in the PlatePass program.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Hello, my name is Sonya ** and on June 3, 2018, I contacted Hertz Gold member services to inquire about a price match from an AUTOEUROPE.COM rate for a Hertz auto rental. The Hertz rep told me that they match this website and are happy to honor the rate of $495.25 but I must prepay the rate. I agreed to the prepayment and was informed that the total cost of the rental is $495.25 out the door. My credit card was charged that day by "HERTZ RENT-A-CAR HERTZ PPAY OK" for $495.25. The rental agreement was from August 10-16, 2018.

I picked up the auto on the scheduled rental date of August 10, 2018. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful with the Pre-payment and information on toll charges and taxes for tolls. Upon returning the auto, I was informed that I will receive an email for the tolls and toll taxes. I received the email and my credit card was charged by HERTZ NORGE (the rental office in Norway) on August 18, 2018 for $256.42.

Upon arriving home, other than the 2 charges that I had authorized mentioned above, I noticed another charge. This charge was made on August 1, 2018 by HERTZ RENT-A-CAR for $293.31. I did not recognize this charge. So I phoned Hertz billing to inquire on August 19, 2018. I was informed by the representative that a second charge was applied to this voucher (pre-payment) in error and he will send a request for refund to billing. He informed me that it will take 3-5 days for a refund to appear. Funny thing is that he was unable to find the charge for $293.31 under the reservation information. He had to enter my credit card information to retrieve the charge. He also gave me a Hertz Rental Record number to use as reference for any further inquiries.

As of August 24, 2018, I did not see a refund on my credit card, so I phoned Hertz billing to check the status of the refund. I was then informed that the charges will not be refunded because there was a change made to the reservation. I never made any changes to the reservation and informed the rep of this. She ask me to hold so she could investigate the changes. I was on hold for 10 minutes after already having the discussion for 25 minutes, so I decided to call back & ask for a supervisor. The supervisor gave me a completely different reason for this charge of $293.31. She said that the rate for the pre-payment amount was not guaranteed and the rate was reevaluated on August 1, so I was charged the difference of $293.31. What?!

I have used Hertz for years and never had issues such as this. My husband also uses Hertz exclusively for work and has never had an occurrence such as this. We are both Gold members and have been treated very well by Hertz over the years. I inquired with the supervisor as to why Hertz will honor a price match and then decide to reevaluate the price and not give the customer the opportunity to not accept or deny the higher rate. I did not receive an answer, just a statement that the price match was not guaranteed. I have not received a refund or a legitimate answer for this charge as of today. I am curious if this has happened to anyone else. If so please post to ConsumerAffairs.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Reserved and paid for a rental car 2 weeks in advance at the Fayetteville NC Raeford Road location. Went to pick up the car at the time we had reserved. Arrived and was told it would be about 30 minutes before the car would be there. I left to run a small errand and Miranda said she would call me once the car arrived. 3 hours later I was called. Arrived at the rental office within 45 minutes. Was told they still didn't have a car and it would be about 2 hours before one arrived. This was really messing us our plans as our trip was time sensitive as in a very sick loved one we wanted to visit before they passed. Then I realized it was 4:30 and this office closes at 6:00. When I asked about that they said, "We are sorry but we don't have any control over this." So I requested a refund and was told it could take up to 2 weeks. I left and rented a nicer car for less money from Enterprise. Hertz you have lost any future business of mine.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

After being a Hertz Gold for over 15 years, I had a very negative experience with Hertz at CDG Paris to the extent that I closed my Hertz account. I had made an online booking and chose to prepay 3 months in advance; however, I did not have the option to get insurance online, and was advised to ask about it at pick up time. After landing, I reached the Hertz desk at CDG airport in Paris, that were completely lost, and had to spend 15 minutes at reception filling information that was already in my booking. When I asked about insurance, I was told the car has a €1500 deductible, and to get full waiver would cost me around €500 on a 12-day booking! Quite the rip-off as it’s almost as much as the rental itself; so I declined. I was then told to wait for the car, that was coming from the garage. 30 minutes later and with constant reminders, the car was still not there.

I then started complaining, holding the queue, and raising my voice till they finally admitted they had no clue where the car is, and ended up giving me another car that was parked right outside the door – total wait time was over an hour. That car was not ready as it was quite dirty, with tree sap all over the windshield, but after that wait, I just took it and went to the nearest market to buy cleaning detergent. Ten days later at an intersection, a lady ran a red light and hit my car on its front right side. I immediately called the Hertz 24-hour emergency number, with no answer. I then called the Hertz airport help desk, who advised to fill the accident report form that should be in the car (and it was not, so we had to borrow it from another car), and to take pictures of the accident. The car was not badly damaged, so they advised to keep it till its original return time.

Two weeks after returning the car, I receive a €1000 bill from Hertz, putting a 100% liability on me. After many requests for clarification, I was told that cars on the right have right of way, and the sketch we drew on the accident report does not show any traffic lights so they’re considering this as an intersection with no traffic signal! When I mentioned the exact address location on the accident report being an intersection with traffic lights, and the pictures I submitted showing the traffic lights, they insisted that they only look at the sketch, and the pictures are not even considered!! It felt like a total rip-off. I sent many complaints and requests for appeal through my Hertz account, and never heard back from Hertz! As a result, I will pay the €1000, and closed off my account.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Our experience with Hertz Darwin Airport rental was the worst we've ever had. The best way to describe it is daylight robbery! We rented a car for 3 days, took lots of photos to make sure we are not charged for random made-up damages, and still, they charged us for a dent on the window that previously existed (which was really really hard to see).

On top of that, they falsely claimed that we brought the car late!! (We were an hour early and their claimed return time was when we were already on the flight back home!) and charged us for a range of other items, which we have no idea about, including location fee even though we have already paid that and brought the car back to the same location. They charged us 496 AUD extra cost out of nothing for only 3-day rental and it's been more than a week that we are sending emails to every possible email account. They don't respond to our emails or phone call... Their way of making money is just deplorable.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I rented a car about 3 years ago and they charge on my card 115+ something dollars saying that I returned the car late and with empty tank. But I return the car full and on time. Way ahead of time. When I got to the airport car return one of their employees was outside and he ask me if I was returning. I said yes so I was advised just to leave the car outside and the key and he will take away. So I did. I ask him, "That is all I have to do?" He said, "Yes. Thank you for your business." To my surprise couple month later I was out of the country at the time. I got a charge on credit card and it come from them. So luckily my credit card refused the payment because it was not authorized. So contacted them to let them know the charge was refused and explained to them what happened. So they said, "Sorry for the misunderstanding."

So later on I realized they had the nerve to send me to collections like I owe them something. I got back to the country 4 Mo ago and went to pick up a car at a rental place and they said I had something I need to take care with Hertz. I got really upset because I could not rent the car. I had to call a friend to get the car for me and contacted them and complained about but still have not fixed the issue. I would not recommend them at all and please be aware of those rental places. They will mess you up if they want. I need them to clear my record ASAP!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Manchester, UK for the period July 18th, 2018 and July 25th, 2018. I have to say I had no trouble with the service during this period. The car was a Vauxhall, Mokka which was pleasant to drive and staff were courteous and helpful. My problem arose when I received a charge to my credit card for an admin fee related to a parking fine in Manchester. The contravention was for £30 but the admin fee was for £42. I asked Hertz to reconsider the fee as I felt it disproportionate to the size of the fine but they refused.

Apparently forwarding an email to three departments and providing my details to the local authority costs them £42. I understand that some other agencies charge an admin fee of as little as £10, though they do vary. Either Hertz has a very high overhead relative to their competitors or, as I believe, they saw this as an opportunity to make a small profit off of an honest mistake. Of course they denied this. For this they have lost future business from me. I would recommend you take a closer look at admin fees before you book through Hertz. You may find an admin fee levied on each traffic fine so you really need to be careful especially if you're not local, and unfamiliar with the roads.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information