2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5
Based on 1,578 ratings submitted in the last year

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I like the online renting a car, then arrive at the rental car location and basically go to the area assigned to you, pick the car you like, then drive to the check out stand. Show them your method of payment, drivers license and just go. Love this!!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Rented a car in Sanford FL on Rinehart Road. The customer service was great. I rented a fuel efficient Ford Edge and was amazed at the mileage rate that I received. The vehicle was very clean. The manager was very helpful in providing a car that he thought would fit my needs.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We have rented vehicles from Hertz for many, many years and have never been disappointed. We have personally rented various size cars, cargo vans and even a pick-up truck. We have used them for short, two or three day, rentals to longer, up to thirty day, rentals. The vehicles have always been clean and ready upon our arrival for pickup and the rental agents have all been extremely helpful and pleasant. We would recommend Hertz to everyone in the need of a rental car.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

How to make the pick up car process painless: The $10,000 question for rental car companies. Hertz is (was) still working on it. Despite having almost perfected the reservations process (including car selection and attractive prices), I still had to wait in line when picking up a car in Las Vegas, for a total time spent of about 1 hour.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was stuck with my kids at Bakersfield airport because another rental company told me they had a car for me and after making me wait for almost 2 hours told me they didn't have a car available, a wonderful Hertz representative heard my daughter crying and offered us a car rental, we were out of there within 5 minutes. Thank you Hertz!

Original review: April 9, 2021

Incredible horrible service. We booked 3 weeks in advance and also pre-paid. On the day of the pickup, they rented our car to someone else. They said spring break was very busy and just about all cars rented out. We waited for almost another hour for another car to be available. They said they'll get it ready. 20 minutes later we got the car, but it was incredible dirty. There was dirt, sand, and even boogers in the car. Yuk! They didn't even sanitize the car and blamed on short of staff that day. Incredible and flagrant negligent during COVID-19. Worst car company. No wonder Hertz went bankrupt in 2020.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I took the time to schedule a car through the website (paid in advance) I got my verification code and the next day went to pick up the car for the ride tomorrow. Lo and behold when I get there they tell me the car is gone and there is nothing left but another car that will cost me an additional 100. I called support and was told that online reservations are not secured and that this happens. Long story short NEVER AGAIN **!

Original review: April 5, 2021

Hertz used to be the Gold standard in car rental - they were our company preferred vendor. The website is constantly down. We can never log in and make changes/view and trying to speak to someone is a joke.

Original review: April 5, 2021

My flight got changed and I tried to change my dropoff time so I would not have to sit in the airport for seven extra hours during Covid-19... what did they do? Charge me for a whole extra day... 1 hour extra? Full extra day? The customer service kept apologizing in the rudest way yet they had no problem charging me and made sure to than themselves for the poor, poor service.

Original review: March 30, 2021

We had prepaid for the vehicle but when we went to pick it up they pulled the upgrade move and. Charged me for insurance as the "system was down". Charged double. We will NEVER use them again nor recommend them.

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information