1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2236 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I made a reservation and after calling to ask a few questions about the reservation I decided to cancel it the same day and rent from somewhere else. They told me I would receive the money back within 7-10 days. After 14 days I called to ask why it was still a pending charge on my account. Apparently the first few morons I talked to didn’t fill out a form to release the funds back to me. This lady says she has sent the form to my bank and I will receive an email within two hours. Now 24 hours later I haven’t received any email, the billing department is closed, and they’re still holding my money. Do yourself a favor, rent from somewhere else.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I rented from the Hertz Car Rental at the Cancun Airport. I reserved the car on-line from United Airlines because I am a United Frequent Flyer member and I booked my flight from United also. The booking # is ** that I reserved to pick the car up on 2/23/19 and dropped off at the same location on March 9th, which I did and I have no complaints about the car. The estimated rental rate was about $40/day, and then I upgraded for another $10/day for a total of $50/day. Again, no problem with that so far, so I am expecting some taxes, fees, fuel charges (I pre-paid for a full tank of gas) etc. So that would be say $700 ($50x14 days), so why was I charged over $1750 with all these outrageous fees. I did not ask for full coverage, but I was charged over $600 for "Insurance Waiver Charges", and another $600+ for "Services Charges/Taxes. That leaves the balance of 3 times the base rental rate as a total.

I attached the invoice, but I realize you may not have any authority in Mexico. But what I do have a problem with is the lack of disclosure from the time I reserved the rental car in the USA from Hertz without disclosing what all these extra fees may be, and I get a total estimated amount from Hertz when I reserved the car for about $650 originally. I can understand 20-30 percent more than the estimated rate, but 300 PERCENT!!! Why am I charged these high fees for waiving insurance in the first place? Wonder how much it would be if I elected to take the full insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 14, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz on Clearwater Beach total for 2 days. Was 452.62 which 200.00 deposit was suppose to be returned. Checked my acct. 545.62 was charged and would not receive deposit back. Said I smoked in car. I did not. Kept my deposit plus a 300.00 cleaning deposits. Really...Cameron at Hertz kept putting me on hold and finally started hanging up on me. I called Marriott Hotel, informed them how their customers are being defrauded by Cameron of Hertz at their location.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I will try and keep it short. Friday March 8/19 did reservations online at 1 PM for a 3 PM pick up. Got to the location and found out they did not have a car for me and was told, "Sorry not my problem. You will have to call around to other locations and see if they can help you." We will just say she should not have a job in customer relations. So called other locations and found one 30 miles away and got the car. The people at that location were very helpful. Then finally got on the road at 6 pm. Got to my destination and the next morning the car electronic display for AC and radio stopped working. Called roadside for Hertz and was told, "Well it is still under warranty. Take it to the dealership. Haha."

The dealership cannot get it in for a week and no local Hertz can swap out my car so called back customer service and was told that I can check the fuses myself... That is why I rented a car. Did not want to work on a car on my vacation. Have been told by customer service two times someone would be calling soon. It has been over 3 hr and still no call. Just about forgot I was told yesterday when I had the problem getting the car I was told the regional manager would call me in the next hr and never heard from them.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My flight left at 7 a.m. and Hertz wasn't opened yet so I left the car and wasn't able to get an inspection. I only had the car one day and I left it perfect condition. One week later I get a letter from Subrogation Management Team informing me that there had been a chip in the windshield that was repaired for $35. However, I was charged $104 for the repair due to "administrative fees and loss of use." Since HERTZ wasn't open for them to check in the car, there is no way that I can dispute this damage. I use a rental car several times a month, but will NEVER rent from this company again. I hope they enjoy the $104 dollars because that is the last money they will ever get from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I'm a Hertz Gold member and rent from them all the time - at least before today, that's what I did. Today, I made a simple reservation. March 13-16 from Nashville. $150. Nice. Then I realized I'd made a mistake. I'd put March 14-16. So I called them. The phone line was buzzing, popping and hissing in my ear - so loudly I could barely make out what the person on the other end was saying. She changed the reservation and the price went up to $470... For one more day. Of course, I told her that was impossible.

After being on hold for over thirty minutes with more awful phone noise, she came back on. She'd gotten it down to $137. Fantastic. When I got the email confirmation, she'd put March 7-10. Seriously? I called back. More terrible phone connection. And after fifteen minutes, I got transferred... To some nitwit that told me the price was $290. Then he put me on hold... Again... And said the price was $380. At that point, I just cancelled my reservation. I booked with a different company for just under $200.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My car was damaged by another party and my insurance company covered a rental car while my vehicle was being repaired. When the Hertz employee delivered the rental car to me at the collision center, before I signed the contract, he told me that for another $21.99 I could buy coverage that would take care of ANY damage to the rental while it was in my possession. I thought to myself that it was worth the extra $21.99 for that coverage so I put my initials in the box where he indicated.

It took 36 days for my car to be repaired and I returned the rental in perfect, clean condition. A few weeks later I received a bill from Hertz for over $840.00. I called my insurance company and they verified that they had already paid in full for the rental, but we figured out that this $840.00+ charge from Hertz was for the LDW that I had placed my initials next to. Turns out, the LDW was not '$21.99' like I was told...it was $21.99 PER DAY, which the Hertz employee had not made clear to me. Shame on him for being deceitful (I'm sure he was trained to do that), but stupid me for not reading the tiny print...no doubt Hertz counts on that, too!

I learned through researching many complaints online about Hertz rental car 'scams' that this is a regular deceptive practice in order for Hertz, and others, to get more of your money into their pockets. However, in all fairness to Hertz, I called and complained about the situation and they took 25% off the bill. But still, having to pay $670.00+ out of pocket for something I didn't actually need (or authorized because of the misunderstanding) is a big OUCH...and I'm quite bitter about it. Hey, after all, $670.00 would pay for a lot of groceries or home heating oil or medical bills or a computer or a couple of car payments or a vacation for that matter! Live and learn I guess. Bitter in Massachusetts.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

The process for reporting issues with a rental car return are horrible. I was charged a smoking fee of $300 after the person checked me in cleared the return without issue. The charge came 30 minutes later after I had left the building. I had already received a receipt prior for the correct amount. Then 30 minutes later another receipt with a trumped up claim of smoking. I have never smoked in my life and when I called 45 minutes later, customer service told me to call back 24 hours later. What kind of service is that. The people working would not be on shift. They wouldn’t remember me. It would be harder to prove which is in Hertz’s favor. These shady practices leave an awful feeling of mistrust of Hertz. After calling back a few days later, without question they refunded the money but the money wouldn’t have been refunded without my phone call. They would still have my money. This company is praying you don’t check your receipts.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We recently rented a car on 1/20/19 in San Jose airport, Mexico. We were forced to sign for an AIL insurance that was supposedly mandatory in Mexico or no rental. Hertz has now said this is optional, but because I signed for it they cannot refund it. The original quote from the southwest site for the car was $135.30. We were given a final bill upon turning in the vehicle of $259.58. Now our credit card has been charged $286.69, with no explanation of why from Hertz. I have tried for weeks now through several emails to get this resolved. They are not interested in helping or explaining why I was charged this amount.

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Can only communicate through email, no phone. The people in Mexico at the Hertz location basically ripped us off. To anyone out there planning on renting from Hertz at the airport in San Jose de Cabo... BEWARE, YOU WILL BE FORCED TO SIGN FOR COVERAGE YOU DON'T NEED. STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Worst car rental experience EVER. Arrived on time to pick up my economy car, manager told me they did not have one even though I had confirmed and paid. Told me I would either have to wait an hour or two for one or I could have a slightly larger car for an extra 40% over the payment I already made. I explained that this was bait and switch or extortion and it was unfair and possibly illegal but she was very unsympathetic and did not care at all.

Anyway I chose to wait for the car since I had no way to get back home and I was there for over 2 hours before I started talking to the manager of the auto dealership that shared the same building. He explained to me that the Hertz manager, Abby, had already informed him that I was not getting a car and I would have to find a way to get home - even though she knew I was dropped off there. She did not even tell me, she just let me figure that out on my own...

The entire time I was there (2+ hours) I was on the phone with Hertz. One of the supervisors at Hertz CS, Jake, offered me a 50 cent reduction to the more expensive rental price to compensate me for waiting and being on hold for 1.5 hrs. That is correct, a half of a dollar for 90 minutes of waiting. They would not even arrange to have me transported back home due to THEIR ERROR. There is a reason why over 50% of the people in California want to leave this state and it is because of people like the immature and unsympathetic manager at this Hertz rental location. I will never, ever rent from Hertz again, or any of their affiliates, ever again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I waited in line and watched the rep. be rude to two customers. One customer was ordered to sit and wait until they could get to him again. When it was my turn the rep was just as rude. Even though I booked ahead of time, through USAA, I never did get a car from them. I had to rent from another company (Budget...A+, 5 stars to them... I got a car and $100 cheaper than what I was suppose to have from Hertz.) Long story short Hertz hurts... Use another company. Military friends... even when going through USAA... use another rental company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Beware of renting your car from Hertz. They will overcharge you every penny, find sneaky ways to trick you. I had rented a car from Hertz after my car got hit-and-run and was placed into the body shop to repair. I rented the car from 12/26/18 - 1/10/19, under the insurance policy. My car is still not finished repairing, today's date 2/13/19. I had rushed the auto-shop 3 consecutive weeks, each time promising me that it'll be done the following week and promised that they will take care of my rental extension for me. I was promised that the auto shop will figure it out, and I took their word for it. However, this entire week Hertz kept blowing up my phone regarding the rental. I knew something was wrong so I called the auto shop and they said I need to call my insurance, then my insurance said I need to call Hertz and this is where it all started.

The Horrible Customer service and unprofessionalism, the ability to do their job and help customers instead of putting the blame on other people. Due to something that was totally not my fault, she said I had to shell out $700 of my own money and pay $150 today if I don't return the vehicle. I told her to charge the auto-shop and that it's not a bill I should be paying when it's not my fault that the auto shop didn't fix my car in time. I told her that I understood the process but to charge the autoshop instead since the auto shop did promise to take responsibility. SHE JUST YELLED AT ME. HER TONE WAS SCARY AND FRIGHTENING.

She said it was my fault I have never ever been YELLED at by a customer representative, especially for something totally out of my control. The level of rude and verbal abuse from the reps left me speechless. I hope she knows that my insurance had the telephone conversation recorded. I didn't get her name because she hung up on me. I will never recommend Hertz. Avoid at all cost. Unless you want to be mistreated.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Asinine that I could not change name of person picking up car at Kona. I have already paid, the person (my daughter) would show ID, and why is there a problem? I am coming from 5000 miles away and worry about being late and leaving my daughter stranded at the airport. She is coming from Maui, a short hop. If I do not arrive as planned, she will be stuck. Oh, and if I had wanted to change it to her name and her card, it would have cost $300 more. What a rip off. I've learned that I should have put it in her name initially. However, I will go out of my way never to use Hertz or other corporate rental agencies again. On Maui never had a problem with the mom and pop alternatives, but was told there were none on Big Island. Probably a lie.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I rented a car from April-June of 2018 from Hertz. My rental experience was fine but when I tried to print a receipt for tax purposes it would not allow me to because it had been longer than 6 months. No problem, or at least that's what I thought. I called the Billing Department to request a copy of the receipt and they wanted $25.00 to send it to me. This is ridiculous considering how much money I spent with them and the fact that I never received a receipt to begin with because I dropped off the car before they opened due to an early flight. The job that I have requires me to rent cars frequently for months at a time and I will NOT be using Hertz. Hertz should put Customer Service before their financial greed.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I rent a car on September 7 2018 in LA. Told the lady at the desk I don't need car insurance because I have my own. After 4 days I return the car. Was charge $690 for 4 days. They never waive my car insurance more than that they give my information to some Allianz Global Assistance without my knowledge. On February 8 2019 five months later I receive the email from Allianz Global Assistance that they charge me $59.96 for rental car insurance notify me I purchase that. Unbelievable!!! I NEVER purchase that.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

When I reached the Columbus GA airport location I was told that there were no vehicles available. I talked to 3 different representatives and a supervisor. The supervisor offered to switch my reservation to the Atlanta GA airport which is a 100 miles away but refused to let me return my car back to my original location. I was left stranded at this rural airport, wasting hours of my time and no one at Hertz is helping me. Never using their pathetic "service" again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I reserved a car for my trip to Seattle and upon arriving to pick up car at Seattle airport I was told I didn’t qualify for the rental leaving me stranded at the airport. I had called two days prior to make sure everything was good and was reassured that it was. After this experience I will never recommend Hertz for anything. I went to their competition Enterprise and didn’t pay a deposit and was upgraded to a luxury car at no extra cost. I will go nowhere else but Enterprise from now on.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My need for a rental car was due to a rear end collision, in which the other person's insurance company was paying for the rental. I received the vehicle and confirmed with the rental counter agent that this was to be billed directly through the insurance company. One month after my rental had been turned in, I received a phone call from Hertz, panicked and saying they needed to bill my credit card because the insurance company had not yet paid. I emphatically told them no, they were not permitted to bill my credit card and they need to rebill the insurance company.

One month after that phone call I received my credit card statement in the mail, with the rental charge from Hertz billed the same day as the last phone call. I called Hertz to dispute the charge, and spoke to a very rude rep, who lied and told me the claim was denied by the insurance company. I know they lied because I’ve since spoken to the insurance company who has been very cooperative and told me that they were never billed at all. Rent from someone else, ANYONE else. I’ll never do business with Hertz again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Beware of renting a car from Hertz. Make sure you read the fine print. Even if you cancel before the 24 hours they still charge you $50 and if you cancel after the 24 hours they charge you $100 and if you don't cancel at all they charge you the whole price. We canceled two days before not knowing that they would still charge you the $50... I would never ever ever use this company.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I will not be renting from Hertz again. They didn’t return my deposit back into my account on the day I returned the vehicle. They overcharged me on charges and charged me without my consent. Have had MULTIPLE situations for only renting ONE vehicle and it was the worst decision I ever made. I usually don’t write reviews like this but In this case it was necessary so it doesn’t happen to anybody else.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

DON'T RENT A CAR BY HERTZ. They stole my money. I rented a car by Hertz in the summer and it got a small dent and they told me I should call my credit card company to claim it and I claimed it but Chase didn't want to pay, only $900 not $1000. So Hertz told I should pay the $100. So I called Chase to tell him that they are charging me this money and they told me that it's not legal for them to ask me for the money and Chase told me if they have a problem they should only contact Chase. I think I will take this in court.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Arrived in El Paso, TX only to find out they only had 12 passenger vans available; absolutely no cars. I had a reservation for an intermediate car so a 12 passenger van was NOT going to work. The agent suggested I take the van for the night and come back and switch to a car the next day. I was traveling on business and had meetings so that was not going to work (and realistically not a good suggestion anyway). I wound up having to Uber for my trip and am not happy with Hertz. A heads up would have been nice BEFORE I walked out to get a car and nothing was there. Had I known earlier no cars were available I could have tried to secure a car with another company. So much for being a Gold member.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

In mid December of 2018 I rented a 2016 Nissan Sentra from Hertz. Every time I extended my rental per week I had to call a number that they provided me in order to do so. The Hertz representatives that I called were rude and were hard to understand. I asked them what the charges were specifically for every week. After they clarified and I understood them correctly the charges were to pay for the week of use and then the amount will be on hold and then charged the day I return the rental. When the day finally came to return the rental I was charged twice. I was upset and the Hertz representative that I encountered in person when I returned the rental told me that the amount we had on hold will be charged the day I returned it. This was not the case.

Later I found out that there was an additional 200.00 security deposit every week you extend. I asked the representative the first day about security deposits and I read the brochure and was told that you will only be charged 200.00 for a security deposit once over the course of the rental and will be refunded it to your bank account within 5-7 business days. This was not the case because I was charged 200.00 extra for every single week I extended ending up to be over nine hundred dollars. It has been past 7 business days and my refund has still not shown in my bank account. Hertz has a horrible reputation and before you rent a vehicle from a company make sure you take their bad service and horrible reviews into consideration. 0 out of 5 stars.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Rented a full sized SUV, and not only was the vehicle smaller than I reserved, the car was dirty, with cigarette ash all over the driver side area. We were then directed (by an employee pointing randomly at the car lot), to another same make of vehicle, which was also dirty as well. Finally, after an hour of waiting with two 7-year-olds after a long flight, the apathetic outside employees attempted to up-sell me to a "larger" vehicle (which was technically in the same class as what I had reserved, as I showed her on the Hertz website). I ended up having to think of other options on the fly due to the outside employees being unhelpful and not solution oriented whatsoever.

After having to point to and ask about each possible vehicle, we were given a newer same make of vehicle. Then upon returning the vehicle and running a bit late, I was ready to pay a little extra for the gas fill up charge; however, I was charged $97.00 dollars for 7 gallons!!! I'm a single mom who budgeted enough money to take my children to visit their grandfather, who is residing in a dementia care home, and to be hit with an extra $100 for 7 gallons of gas is legalese robbery. I will NEVER rent from Hertz again.

I previously rented from Enterprise when visiting my father and the experience was delightful! The employees were friendly, clear-eyed, helpful, and unexpectedly offered to upgrade my rental at no cost and personally walked us to our vehicle, offered their name, contact information, and ended the meet with a professional handshake. With Hertz, I just felt like a burden to apathetic, lazy employees who disliked their job. I am at least asking Hertz to refund or reduce to a reasonable fair gas rate from the exceptionally high-rate of gas charges charged to my credit card. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

So long story short I had a reservation for an SUV that I made thru calling Hertz and I clearly stated 3 times on the phone asking if I’m 24 would that be a problem and 2 agents confirmed me that it would not be a problem and I went to the desk to rent and the lady was very helpful. She even gave me color options and she double checked with her manager to make sure it is ok that I am 24.

Manager named ** said, "Ok no problem." They give me the car I’m about to drive away and by the gate security checks again with ** and she says she changed her mind. In front of her I called Hertz and they said ok but she refuses to give me a car because she decided now she doesn’t want to and she is the boss here. So everyone if you’re about to rent a car here please make sure that the rude manager ** had her coffee and slept well the night before or they will just waste an hour of your time. I walked over to Avis afterwards within 3 minutes I had a car no issues. Dear Mrs. ** you are the most unprofessional person I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I booked a rental car on the Hertz website and my credit card was charged $102 more than the posted price online that I agreed to. During the booking process, the Hertz website confirmed my credit card would be charged $665 in total and when I checked my credit card statement...I was charged $767. I tried to cancel the transaction and they require a $100 cancellation fee. This is a clear bait and switch.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

If I could give zero stars I would. I will never again rent from Hertz at this location or any other location. I'm a 5 member and made an RSVP with a confirmed RSVP for AWD Large SUV. Got a call 12 hrs before pickup saying they have no SUV avail, but they have van. Huh? A van? How is that comparable to a large SUV? I called customer service and was hold for 1/2 hr, finally spoke to someone, explained the situation and they put me on hold again.

When someone picked up, I had been blind transfer to the RSVP center and on hold again, got someone new, immediately asked for a sup, on hold again and when someone picked up, it wasn't the supervisor. It was an agent in customer service! The person transferred me back! Ugh. I'm so fed up with this company. Today, ALL companies are focused on service, but it seems like Hertz doesn't give a darn. I'm now stuck with my family of 4, luggage, and a vacay ruined because no AWD to head up to mountain. By far the worst exp ever. No accountability, no remorse, no compensation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I tried renting a car through the Lyft program and was informed I was on the dnr (do not rent) list due to identity theft and fraud. I was told that they caught this person and their mistake of not checking the license number to make sure the names on it and the name in the system matched before giving up a car, however, they said my license couldn't be removed that it has to stay on the list for minimum 1 year even though they know that I can prove I am not that person. I dont even live in the same state they rented the car in. No one would help me or call me back. I am now without a job due to this. I'm a single mom with 3 teenagers and I really needed this job. It's not fair! I will be going to tell my story to all of the corporate office as well as the BBB, social media, and to an attorney for unfair discrimination.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Prepaid for a car reservation and more than a week out went to cancel it and they said I wasn't able to be refunded my money. Most rental car companies nowadays allow you to cancel with NO FEE OR REPERCUSSIONS but Hertz apparently hasn't gotten that memo yet. I will not be using them again due to this lack of flexibility so they just lost another customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz in Dec 2017 in Austin. I was charged on my credit card $10.14 for toll charges 7 days after I turned in my car. Makes sense... Now in January, I have been charged two more times - 1/2/19 and yesterday 1/11 again. I called Hertz and they could not explain where the extra charges came from. They could not provide any details of the charges. Matter of fact, the Hertz rep asked me what I wanted? I said, "An explanation of what these charges “Hertz toll” were on my credit card." He said that he could not tell and did not have any information on what they were or why.

His solution was for me to dispute with my credit card company. When I asked him how can I be sure these charges will not continue, he said he didn't know and could not guarantee that there wouldn’t be additional charges. Unbelievable. How is this acceptable? Something is very wrong! Hertz is taking no responsibility but they are who took my credit card for the car rental agreement and own the toll pass. Have never had an issue like this with any other rental company. Note to self: NEVER rent from Hertz again. I will dilute these charges as I have no other choice. There needs to be an investigation.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information