2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Hertz Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We took a trip to Minnesota this past summer and had to rent a car as there were 4 of us. Normally we just take a shuttle service but we needed a car for our use during our trip. I have mostly used Hertz as my go to for car rentals. This trip was no exception as I made reservations with Hertz. We needed a toddler car seat and it was provided to us for no charge (some companies charge for the car seat). We chose a compact car that fit our budget. When we got to the rental desk, Hertz had all the paperwork ready to sign and go. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and we were headed to our car. They were out of the size car that we ordered and they immediately upgraded us to a larger SUV and no additional charge. Add to this experience were all the great smiles and service from the rental desk through the gate person. I will definitely use Hertz in the future...

Original review: July 17, 2019

Just want to commend one of your employees for outstanding service. After being told that the Hertz location I was directed to no longer existed (why didn’t Hertz contact all of the customers with open reservations let them know that particular office was closed???), a Lyft was arranged by Hertz to drive us back to the city center. Manny was not only friendly and understanding, but he straightened out our reservation issue and got us into a vehicle in less than 30 minutes. Thank you Manny for making a difficult and annoying situation 100 times better. One star for Hertz the company for not keeping their customers informed about crucial changes in their reservations. I expect more from a national chain. Manny saved you a repeat customer.

- Corina

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I want to take a minute to recognize one of your employees who I feel went above and beyond to help me. Her name is Connie and she is in the IT department. The problem with my reservation was actually not something that should have been sent to IT. Despite that, she took the initiative to contact reservations and apply my coupon appropriately and fix the problem. I am still waiting for a confirmation email but felt moved to review CONNIE (Badge # **) because of her eagerness to help me, pleasant disposition and therefore - superior customer service. Please recognize her for this at least in an email. Thank you, Connie!

Sincerely, Heidi **.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My review is specifically for the Hertz location in Cincinnati, Ohio suburb of Fairfield. Specifically the one on Dixie Highway. Andrew & his team is the best! Courteous, friendly, funny and professional! I needed to pick up the vehicle a day earlier than scheduled as it was raining heavily and Andrew says it was fine and didn't charge me the extra day!

I've rented cars for 2 decades with every company imaginable and I can tell you I've never had that experience! I forgot my garage opener on my car visor and didn't realize it until I came home and called Hertz. Andrew answered the phone and he says, "Let me guess. You're sitting in front of your garage and wondering how you're going to get in?" Right on point. He didn't even have a chance to check the returned car yet. Evidently I'm not the first car renter this has happened to.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz in San Fransisco. It was an easy and quick process. A few hours later I found myself nearly out of gas driving at night while driving alone in a strange city. I had been in a hurry and hadn't checked the gas tank. Apparently, neither did the Hertz attendant. Luckily, I was able to get gas safely, but I was truly nervous crossing the Bay Bridge with the gas light on. When I returned the car, I was told I would be charged more since I didn't return the car with a full tank. I explained the story and they wouldn't budge.

The manager came over to help. She immediately understood what I was trying to explain. She apologized, empathized and deducted all the gas money I had put into the car unnecessarily from my bill. Her name was Nichole ** and Hertz is lucky to have her. I entered the return area pretty ticked off, but now, because of her excellent customer service, I will absolutely use Hertz again. She also said it sounded like a training issue and she would reinforce with her staff that the gas tank is always to be checked. Again, I am now going to use Hertz anytime I need a rental car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I would like to share our terrible disappointment with Hertz Car Rental at London Heathrow airport. We rented and picked up an SUV in last week of August last year from the airport and our drop off point was at Southampton. The initial car condition briefing before pick-up by the representative was really slack and we had to tell him that he missed some of the obvious scratches on the SUV. When we arrived at the car drop-off point at Southampton, there was no attendant at the collection office to record our time of return, but only an inspector busy at checking returned cars, and we had to wait.

When our turn came, the inspector did a very detailed car examination, but there was nothing stated in the inspection sheet of any new defect. However, we were shocked when the rental company later suddenly billed us about ₤500 for a very faint dent, not even visible to the naked eye, (he has to use a mirror to show the surface irregularity) including late return charge, even though we arrived at the collecting office before the grace period expired. Both my friend and I are senior and very careful drivers and we did not have any car accident during the entire rental period.

As we have left Southampton for our Baltic cruise, we couldn’t return to Hertz office to protest. We officially lodged an official protest by email to Hertz, and despite repeated reminder emails, Hertz did not even have the courtesy to reply us. Our initial impression of Hertz being a reputable international car rental company has been completely shattered. It took them two months to respond to our complaint, and that was only after my friend, the principal driver, complained to his credit card company, which then reversed out the payment to Hertz, pending dispute resolution. In November last year, we officially lodged a complaint against Hertz unfair practice to the British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association (BVRLA).

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I dropped off the rental car last Friday morning at the city of Oakland Ca., Marriott hotel. After I gave the car key to your employee, she checked the car. She gave me a clean inspection receipt. I took the paperwork and went to the office. I was in the office more than 30 minutes, and the guy behind the counter gave me a final receipt. The amount is $0 balance because my insurance covered the cost of the payment. I was in this office almost one hour from the time I dropped off the vehicle and got my final receipt. No damage of the windshield was mentioned.

On Monday afternoon, I checked my credit card transaction and I found $186.00 was charged by Hertz rental. I called the office and I was told I would have to talk to the manager tomorrow morning. I called the next day, and talk to the manager. She told me that the rental car which I returned last Friday has a crack on the windshield, and suggested I come to the office to check it out. I did and I examined the car’s windshield. Yes, it’s a crack. It’s about 8 inches long and it’s so easy to spot. Definitely, it was not there when I returned the car.

I told the manager that there is no way the woman who checked the car could not have seen it, if it was there. She told me that the reason she didn’t see it because of the “bad lighting”. This is the most ridiculous excuse that she could come up. I have no problem to take the responsibly if the vehicle is under my control, but it’s not. As far as I am concerned, once I handed the key to Hertz's employee, got the clean inspection, and the final receipt I was no longer responsible if anything happened to the vehicle. It was out of my control. The manager was trying to ignore me by sending me to another person instead of trying to handle it professionally. I already sent the request to my credit card company to dispute this charge. I believe the Hertz management should be aware that this type of behavior is happening in this location.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I rented a car from Hertz through Expedia because they came through advertising the cheapest fare for an upgraded sedan. Our flight was delayed and when we arrived to pick up the car Hertz had an old credit card scanner that could not read a chip card and the rep could not manually enter the information into the system. The car was already paid for in full, this was just for the $200 deposit. So I asked if we could pay in cash and she said no. I said, "You already have my card on file and your scanner is not working." We had to add me as another driver for $286 and use my card as my magnetic strip on the back of my card was newer, even though I would not be driving in the snow.

It was already dark, the car was new but the back tires were bald, needless to say we spent the whole week at the ski resort sliding around on bald tires. When I returned home they hit my card for things we already paid for and I had to call and send them receipts of prior payment. What a nightmare. Stick with Dollar Rental, Thrifty or Enterprise, this was my first and last time using Hertz. Awful experience and twice as much as any of the other dealers.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I'm contacting you all because I'm unable to get a manager or representative that could help assist with the issue I had for my recent rental. I had a reservation from 1/17-1/21 the vehicle was defected. Soon after driving to my destination the oil reserve was on 3% and the tire pressure in the rear right was low. I attempted to fill the tire with air which was a temporary fix before the alert came back up. This was the GMC Yukon 2020. When stopping again to refill the tire I fully examined the tire and saw it had a bubble/knot in the tire which is extremely dangerous and could cause a blow out. I was in the vehicle with my husband, son 2 years of age, My mother in law and my sister in law who is 5 months pregnant. I couldn't imagine if that tire were to cause a horrible accident, I could precautions which seems I'm being penalized for with charges.

I called the emergency service line which is in the Hertz envelop and stayed on the phone with a representative who was unsuccessful in helping. The was no spare in the back and he stated we wouldn't be able to get towed for 2-3 hours. And suggested I get a Lyft to transport me to the nearest Hertz. In addition the rep reassured me that the nearest Hertz would have a similar body car to what we were currently renting. I was wrong for thinking I would get superior customer service like Enterprise, who would have come to the location WITH the exchange rental and tow the defected vehicle to not inconvenience us and take time away from our trip.

I called my AAA and a tow truck immediately came within 30 mins and transported us to their Hertz which was Philadelphia airport. We were greeted unpleasantly. The front desk rep at this location was very nasty and had a very cold demeanor. She implied that I created the bubble in the tire and that I rented through a third party AND there was nothing that could be done with Hertz, regardless of it being your rental (all while eating her powdered donut, check their cameras). She had me fill out an incident report and proceeded to charge me for a tire.

I asked to speak with a manager who also was unhelpful and had no concern for us as customers. When he finally spoke to us he said the similar car they had in their fleet also had issues and the best they could do was a Ford Explorer, a smaller truck we were crammed in, but it was fine. We were already delayed about 3 hours for our trip at this point. The manager's name is Michael **. This is unacceptable, the customer service, rather lack there of is deplorable.

When I spoke to a representative earlier today, she asked If I had check the car out prior to leaving the lot. I responded that is Hertz responsibility. Who would send a car out on the road with these type of issues. I need all these charges dropped. I need the Philadelphia staff who assisted us to be reprimanded for POOR customer customer service. They need customer service training, honestly.

On my rental record envelop it says I'm being charged $319.62. The receipt I received yesterday when the vehicle was return says $505.62. The charge for transfer exchange fuel & service $259.74 plus concession fee recovery $28.86 plus tire $186 and a new tax $31.02 all equaling to $505.62, which I would need all refunded. Why am I being charged for fuel? I exchange it with the tank where it was because I could fill the tank because of the tire... I reached out for online assistance. I was told it can take up to 17 business day on the case and someone would get back to me. This was 11 days ago STILL no assistance.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

My two day Hertz Gold rental in Las Vegas went from $46 to $ 150+ when I extended by phone BEFORE pickup. Two emails and four calls failed to get a refund. Harsh and poorly trained phone customer service and illiterate email responses. After 30 years I quit Hertz.

Not sure about Hertz?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information