1.10/5
Based on 214 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2098 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

I am very disappointed with this car rental from July 18 thru July 21st. First, the agent charged me $31 a day for basic insurance without telling me the price, last time when I rented 2 years ago, it was $6.95 a day. Otherwise, I could have my own personal liability insurance from Geico for coverage. Second, I was charged for the 156 miles that I used the car, once again, I wasn't told that part. Third, I returned the car the same day as promised but 2 1/2 hours later and I was charged for one full day car rental and one full day insurance coverage. For this small amount time that I used the car, it's a total rip off. I am totally disappointed and was totally robbed. I never heard from any other rental car charged for a complete day if you return the car a bit late. THIS IS COMPLETE ROBBERY. Hertz has lost me as a customer and I will make sure that my family and friends will never use your company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I booked a car for 9am June 26th for pickup at Roissy Cdg Airport. I arrived to the pickup location at 08:30 just to make sure everything is in order. I was told by the employee at the desk to come back at 9am. I came back at 9 am, and I was told that my car is not ready yet, it will just take another 10 minutes. 30 minutes later still no updates, I went back to the desk and I was told that the car that I am supposed to pick up had some "issues" and that I just have to wait. After multiple attempts, I was finally able to pick up my car at 10:25.

During the drop off day, I parked my car 1 block from the Hertz office in Nimes at 09:00. I went inside to clarify where they want me to drop off the car. The girl inside wanted me to drive the car close to the office so she will come outside and inspect the condition of the car. The parking at that office location was for buses only so I had to go around the street a couple times since every time I come to park there are buses trying to leave or come in. After she was done inspecting she asked me to take the car to a parkade that is close to the Hertz office.

After I dropped the car at the parkade and I came back to the office, Hertz employee was assisting other customers and by the time my turn came and she went through all the papers it was already 10am. So I picked up the car 1 hour and 30 minutes late, I returned it on time at 09:00, but by doing what the employee at the Nimes office wanted, I was charged for an extra day of rental because she put the return time as 10:04. Complete rip off!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 18, 2018

The person at the counter when I arrived led me to believe and distinctly told me that I wasn't paying for a full tank of gas. I was just paying to fill it from where it was. He told me I would save money doing this. They charged me for a full tank of gas and they charged me for insurance that I never asked for. I called to complain. They say you sign the contract. If I knew I was in a situation where I could be scammed like that I definitely would have read the whole contract. Lesson learned. They must get commission for up charging everything.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Renting recently from Hertz was nothing but a complete hassle from the moment it began, 30 min waiting in line, vehicle not ready - an issue with the car's registration, a different vehicle promised due to the major delay, and then ending up in the original vehicle once we got outside - all amounting to well over an hour to actually be able to drive away... and it is continuing to be a hassle with harassing emails and phone calls regarding so-called damage to their vehicle that amounts to a small area of paint that appears to have been ‘brushed’ off in their car wash - no dent(s), no scratches, just a vertical line of brushed off paint on the back bumper that was there when we got the vehicle. Dealing with them has been an absolute nightmare. My word against theirs... guess who will lose?

Hertz is the absolute worst car rental company I have ever dealt with and I will NEVER rent from them again. We rent from National frequently and over many years have never had a single issue. Unfortunately over a last minute holiday trip to CO my options were limited and I made a very poor choice that is now going to cost me $200. All I hope is that someone reads this and chooses to rent from any company other than Hertz. I would give them no stars if that was an option because they don’t even deserve one star.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Made a reservation with Priceline for a 4 day rental which a total was given 249+ dollars without the 11 dollar a day for insurance. Got to Hertz in Hoffman Estates, IL and the lady at the desk stated in order to rent a car with a debit card, needed 2 photo ids, a corporate id, and had to do a soft credit check. Provided her with all the documents and after I signed the contract thinking that my debit card will be only charged for the 200 dollar holding fee, she gave me a contract showing that instead of the 200 holding fee, they charged my debit card 550 dollars, which was the 200 holding fee plus the charge of 350.00 for the rental for 4 days. Now I have rented Hertz cars before and I have never experienced Hertz charging for the total cost of the rental which I had not drove the rental car off the lot yet and the 200.00 holding fee.

I was very upset when I saw that Hertz deducted 550 dollars from my account. And then I was told I did not have an option to not want to pay for the insurance which Hertz charged me 24.95 per day for insurance. The Hertz saleslady told me I did not have an option to not have insurance with them. I had to pay for their insurance to cover the car. Which I have never heard of this. First of all Hertz sales person did NOT explain these options and charges before the contract. I had to find out about these charges and options when she put the contract in my hand and I read that they deducted 550.00 out of my account. I immediately canceled that contract and gave her the keys to that car because of Hertz being deceptive and misleading.

Here I had a reservation for 4 days for 249.00 from Priceline and Hertz charged me 550.00 dollars without explaining why until they deducted this amount from my account. Hertz has become unethical with their business practices and is fraudulent and deceptive when it comes to providing you the information a customer needs before making a decision to rent with them. They are overcharging the customer to rent a car from them. If they were charging me the full price for the rental before I even drove the car, then why are they charging the customer again for a hold fee on the car? That is unethical and fraudulent. And Hertz is being very deceptive with their business practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: July 12, 2018

So before anyone rambles about cancellation policies, just hear me out. I rented a car to drive of to Gillette Stadium to my Taylor Swift concert. I was super excited to go, didn't have anyone to drive me, didn't want to stress about bus/train schedule just renting a car seemed like the easiest option. While booking, I had the option to prepay, or pay upon rental. Since the price difference wasn't that big and I'm a nice person, I wanted to pay in advance so Hertz would already have my money. So bam $45 later + insurance + tax, I was all set.

BUT THEN! Couple days later, a friend of mine also bought a ticket and turns out she has a car. So it seemed pretty obvious that she would drive there and that I didn't need a car rental anymore. So I call to cancel my nicely pre-paid booking to be told that I have to pay a FORTY FIVE DOLLAR cancellation fee on a FORTY FIVE DOLLAR car rental??? Doesn't make sense to me. I'm disappointed to say the least, not going to rent again. Thank you very much. Goodbye.

Original review: July 12, 2018

RENTERS BEWARE! I rented a vehicle from Hertz Valencia back in May. The car had pre-existing damage that I did not notice during my pre-inspection (in the dark garage with no assistance from any employees). I therefore became liable as soon as I drove it off the lot and didn't realize until I was on the highway and could hear the road as if a window were down. Not wanting to ruin my trip since I was on a tight timeline, I took pictures with timestamps/geotags at my destination as proof. Upon returning the vehicle two days later, all their employees insisted "We would never rent a car in this condition, it's your fault." They also charged me for gas even though I filled it up before return and the receipt showed I returned it full (successfully reimbursed... small victory). I built a very detailed case regarding the damage and sent it to the email provided by their customer service phone number.

I wasn't contacted until 45 days after the incident, by a different email! The Hertz representative from their Dublin corporate office, Maria, then took 7 days to respond to my first email, then another five days to respond to the follow up email with a threat that if I didn't pay in a week they would take legal action. Feeling powerless since I'm not a citizen of the EU and fearing the threat, I agreed to pay, which got a magical less than 24-hour response! Clearly they don't care about their customers, but they do care about money. They also would not give a phone number for contact, only email. Horrible experience and rude staff all around. Be very careful on your inspection, look at every single detail and even take pictures and videos as proof!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I rented a car in Newark for a week. I returned a car. As a Gold member I can just leave the car and l go on, but being responsible I went to their offices. Waited in line to let the lady know that I have returned the etc. etc. I board a flight back to CA. After a week they send me an email saying "you are overdue on rental. Please return our car or we have to report it stolen." WTF!!! Replied to Email. NO RESPONSE. I call them letting them know, "Hey. Have returned the car on correct date and in fact multiple hours early." They say, "Oh okay we will close that. Will send you a receipt." They sent receipt me showing charge for 2 weeks.

Okay now I call them again. They say, "Sorry and we will do a timing dispute". Next week they ** charge me for 2 weeks anyway when I am looking for a loan and wanted my credit score as high as I can. Those ** told me they will keep the charges or at least charge me for correct time. But no they had to screw me over as much as they can. Worst service ever. I wanted this be noticed by management. So I sent an email to customer relations. They never replied after reading a good story.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Don't rent a car here. We booked a reservation online after speaking with a customer service representative. They neglected to tell us that there was an additional deposit for a debit card. It was $200 total. I had a $160 on my card and $50 cash. The company refused to do anything to work with me and left me stranded in Oklahoma City.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Booked vehicle via Hertz app, as I have done many times successfully. I am a Gold Rewards member and was utilizing my company's rental program with Hertz. Picked up vehicle 7/3/2018 from Denver International Airport. Return was to be 7/8 at same location. Due to a situation that had arisen, I called on 7/7 to inquire about possibly changing drop off to Colorado Springs airport. Selected the prompt for extending or changing a current reservation. After explaining my request to the first agent, he pulled up the record & confirmed rental info and *then* after being rude as well as repeating the same questions ad nauseam, including asking me multiple times if I had *already* returned the vehicle (I kept explaining I still planned to keep it until 7/8 per my reservation but just wanted to inquire about possibly changing drop off airport), he said he couldn't assist with that & indicated he was transferring me to the department that can assist.

He merely put me back into the main menu, where I selected the prompt again to extend or change a reservation. Second agent was nicer but could find no record of my reservation, even after I provided him all of the requested information multiple times. He said he was transferring me to someone who could assist, but instead I was back to the main menu. I hung up as it had been 25 minutes with no results and I had stepped away from dinner at a restaurant for all of that time so that the agents & I could converse more easily. We fortunately did not end up needing to change the drop off location today (7/8) but had to drop it off much earlier than scheduled. Arrived around 3:30 AM at the facility. Even though the location at Denver International Airport is listed as a 24/7 location, the shuttle driver said no office staff arrives until 6:00. Left vehicle and rode the shuttle to the airport.

Normally when we drop off a vehicle at Hertz, I receive an email confirmation and final billing as soon as they have checked in the car. When rental return is staffed, that usually happens within minutes. It had been 15 hours with no notification. I went to the Hertz app, and it shows I haven't had a recent rental. Called customer service and got the only agent so far who seemed to care, but he couldn't find a record of the rental at all despite my providing my rental record #, rental confirmation # and driver's license info as requested. He kept checking with a supervisor & was told I'd just need to wait 24-48 hours for confirmation. I told him I was uncomfortable waiting given Hertz cannot find a record of my rental, much less confirm the return, plus the fact that while the first agent (the rude one) yesterday found the record, 2 subsequent agents can't. He obliged my request to speak with the supervisor.

The supervisor asked the standard "How can I assist" or whatever, and I asked if the agent had explained the situation. She said yes, I was calling about a late fee. I said no and explained I was trying to confirm they had a record of my rental and its successful return. She claimed she could find the rental record # but had no info on when I had rented it, from what location, or even that I was the one who rented it... nothing. She said I'd have to wait 24-48 hours per policy. I had already told her about all of the issues with the previous calls & the app also no longer showing my rental. She wouldn't budge.

I said that given all of what I'd already been through with customer service and my concerns about no record of my rental, couldn't she call the Denver location and verify (customers calling the number for that location get a recording identifying that location, but the prompts are for the corporate customer service line unless you know an individual's extension). She repeated that policy says that customers must wait 24-48 hours for the rental to be closed. I said again that given that 2 agents and the app could not even find the record, she claims to have found my record # but no info to even tell me that it showed I was the one who rented it, where, etc., did she not have the ability to go ahead and contact the facility? She would not say yes or no, and I really got the impression from her tone that she was choosing not to help, not limited by policy.

I tried again telling her that I really am concerned and want confirmation that all is well with the return, explaining again that normally I receive a confirmation email within moments of the facility checking it in (when the facility is staffed) and it's been over 16 hours with no word from a busy "24/7" facility. She refused. When I asked about escalating above her, she said my only option for that is to email customerrelations@hertz.com and that they have no phone number or other means of contact. Unbelievable.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Showed up to pick up a rental. I had prepaid for the rental but was then told I had to pay an additional $13.00 per day to allow my wife to drive. NEVER heard of this from any other rental company. SPOUSES ARE COVERED UNDER THE SAME INSURANCE. Next was the condition of the vehicle. Dirty, smelled of cigarette smoke with ashes and mud in the car. It seemed this was the only car available to us. I will not be back. I now know why they are called Hertz. Name should be Hertz and we don't care.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Will never use Hertz again or recommend them. Their customer service is totally nonexistent. It took them over 2.5 hours to serve us at their Heathrow location because they had very few staff working at the desks and so progress was so slow! The rest of the staff were walking around doing nothing. We tried to cancel the booking to go to another rental agency in Heathrow, but they said we would still have to pay for the rental if we canceled. Needless to say, we will never use Hertz again neither will we recommend them. Every time we’ve used other rental agencies like Easy car rental, it’s only taken a total of 15 mins to get in and get out with a car.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We rented a car and when we returned it after two days the car was clean. But then we checked our account and found we are being fraudulently charged $300 for cleaning fees because they claim we had a dog in the car? We don’t even own a dog! Nor did we transport one! We stayed in a no pets allowed hotel! And they’re refusing to work with us claiming they have photos! What do photos prove? Unless you have us in the car with a dog at the time the photos were taken this proves nothing except that someone else dirtied the car.

But this is how this company operates. We are not the first customer this has happened to with ridiculous charges that are fraudulent. Terrible business! Beware and do your research on this place beforehand. That was our bad that we didn’t. And now we’re in this mess. What a shady way to do business... are they hurting for money that bad that they have to make things up to steal people’s hard earned money? Unbelievable.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I rented 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee at the Hertz counter at Marriott Marquis Waterside in Tampa Florida. I originally reserved the car for 5 days but decided to return it after one. The salesman told me I couldn't do that. When I protested he conceded. He asked me where I would return it and I told him Naples FL. He wanted the location. I didn't have one and he wouldn't give me one for whatever reason. I stood there by his desk and googled a location. He then informed me there was an upcharge for a navigation system. What late module luxury car does not come with standard navigation!

I was then informed that there was only a quarter of a tank of gas in the car. WHAT!!! He went on to tell me I should fill it up myself. UNACCEPTABLE! I'm a senior citizen traveling with other senior citizens. I'm in city I've never been to. And I should drive around looking for gas? No. He acquiesced. I received my paperwork and went outside to pick up the car. I waited over 30 minutes. I took pictures of the whole vehicle inside and out.

The next day I brought the car to the assigned location. The Hertz representative was not there. I called the number on the door. I spoke to a man named James. He told me to just leave the keys on his desk. No paperwork, no receipt. He would email me a receipt. Again I took photos of the car, the location where it was parked, as well as the odometer reading and the full gas gauge. I never received a receipt. I contacted customer service and voiced my concerns. I was assured my complaints would be addressed. I would immediately be emailed a receipt. Again, nothing. I sent a written complaint to Hertz. No response. I will be using a competitor in the future

Original review: June 27, 2018

Hertz quoted me they have a "long standing" rental policy of accepting DEBIT cards at major airports ONLY if you have proof of having just flown (i.e. a boarding pass), and then passing their credit score check. Well, having made my reservation today at a nearby airport, and 'securing' it with my Visa credit card, I thought I was safe. Later that same day, I found out my Visa credit card number was 'hacked' and I was forced to cancel the card. I will receive a new card in the mail in 5-7 business days. Unfortunately, my car reservation is/was for TOMORROW. So, since I do not have a boarding pass (I'm not flying), and I no longer have a credit card my options are limited.

Enter Hertz payment policy... So called Hertz customer service (or lack thereof) and—in short—Hertz will NOT accept my debit card, period! Talk about ruining a vacation!! Customer service SHOULD be at/near the top of a company's list of priorities. I would think Hertz could establish through their website a returning/trusted customer policy; particularly for those of us who rent automobiles quite often. This would allow Hertz to relax their draconian debit card policy and minimize their loss risk (whatever is it is) when accepting debit cards.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Rented a car online, 4 days, paid insurance up front, called a taxi who took me to: Hertz on Glendale Ave, Phoenix, AZ, got to Hertz location, "Sorry! No cars! We might have one a couple hours from now, for $20.00 a day more." When I walked in the door, guy was on the phone telling someone else, "we don't always have cars here". SO here I am, just spent $36.00 on insurance for a car (they'll get back to me within 2 days about my request to cancel the insurance). "We don't always have cars here at this Hertz location": the location the website told me to go to for my car reservation made online, and $40.00 on a round trip taxi ride charge as well, So I'm out my afternoon, and $76.00. This was worse than my last trip to Hertz, 2 years ago. This trip, will now be, my, last visit to Hertz.

Original review: June 26, 2018

While booking the car online they do not mention that unless you have proof of insurance you will be forced to pay a ridiculous amount per day. Also the insurance it does not cover dents and dings. I was charged 1400.00 for a small scratch on the car bumper in Ireland although I am sure it was scratched when I picked it up. The car had several dents. This is my last experience using Hertz.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was told when I rented my charges would be $606.00. When I returned the rented car as promised it was $606.00. I was told I was charged $150.00 for a deposit. They would return it in 5-7 business days. I agreed to that. Well after two weeks I called and wanted my refund. Still haven't received it. The lady said, "Lisa it has been changed from a refund to now a charged for your reservation." Since when do you charge $150.00 to book a reservation??? "I'm sorry. It's now not refundable." They lied to me all three agents. They also told me all this week before this my bank was the problem. The bank was not releasing it. LOL. LOL. I WILL NEVER USE THEM FOR BUSINESS TRAVEL AGAIN. HERTZ IS A VERY DISHONEST COMPANY. :(

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was rear ended and the insurance company provided me with a car rental from Hertz. I went into Hertz feeling dazed and just wanted a car to hurry and go to the hospital. I had my own full coverage car insurance and did not need theirs. I agreed to rent a car, use the gas fill-up charge of $31 and some cents. When I went back in to return the car I was told that I owed $138. I inquired why and was told that I had signed up for Hertz insurance. I informed the associate that I would not have done that and to please check on it. His response was “Ok. The lady who did it is good with faces and would remember you. She is on vacation right now, but I will leave a note here to call you when she returns so that we may close out the account”. I agreed and left.

About 3 weeks later, I see a charge of $438 dollars on my card. And additional Pending charges that would total over $700. I immediately went into Hertz only to be told that “someone” maybe at corporate had pushed it through. The associate helping me was the lady who helped me with my original rental. I explained to her about the charges discussed with me by the male associate and how no one called me. Now I’m coming in to find that about $700 is trying to be charged to my account and $438 of which has already. I told her she helped me. She said “Do you look different? I don’t remember helping you with a car.” At this point I am disgusted. I called Hertz corporate and waited 28 min on hold. I ended up calling my bank to stop payment on the remainder of the charges.

I have never experienced anything so fraudulent and cheating in all my days. I feel like I was taken advantage of that day. I keep getting different total amounts from Hertz. The signature on the tab does not even match my own. I would suggest anyone thinking about such a place to rent as Hertz, go to Enterprise or someplace else.

Original review: June 23, 2018

When on vacation and normally I use Alamo for my car rentals but this time I decided to try Hertz. Never again! After I paid for everything I get a notification over a month later being charged extra, and when I went to go look at my receipt to see what the charge was for it said not found. I emailed and called and left messages to call me back but never heard from them. Very unprofessional and upsetting that a company this magnitude would do that without reason. I'm recommending all my friends and anyone who travels to never rent from this company again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I arrived at the Airport in Denver (6/17/2018) at Hertz car rental to pick up the car I had booked in advanced. My mood: jubilant. My mission: to see and photographed the Rocky Mountains (I paint natural areas from my photos) and stayed at one of my favorite hotels in the area. Here is a detour from my California vacation where I had just spent two glorious weeks. But man was I in for the shock of my life when I arrived at the Hertz's desk.

Immediately, the middle age woman snickered at me, "Did you booked your returned flight back as the gentleman asked?" She was referring to her co-worker with whom I already made an attempt with to get my car but was told by him to, "Book a flight now!" I stepped to the side and booked a flight even though I wasn't sure how long I will be staying in Colorado. Without a minute to spare, I booked a random flight back to get my car. Now we are with the lady. I provided my card (debit) and driver's license. Another co-worker said, "So many people in town... the cars are all gone." "Oh yeah," replied my attendant. "Mr. so and so (name withheld for obvious reason) needs a car."

Then, she turned back to me and threw my card on the desk between us and said "That card is no good! We will not accept it!" "Excuse me," I said; confused. "Yeah, it doesn't have your name on it." "Oh, I said. It's a bank issued debit card. I used it the whole time in California to get my car, in restaurants, and to check-in two hotels (in Los Gatos and Lake Tahoe, respectively). "They will accept anything there, they want the money!" Now, I am thinking I am in the twilight zone. Unreal. "Okay, here is one with my name on it," I said.

She looked at me as if I was an alien. By this time, I knew I was in big trouble. "If you don't understand that I can't accept your cards let me give you to my manager, then." She snapped and walking away. "I am not helping you today. Lady over here!" The last part, she echoed because I stood there stunned. I figured I better get moving and hurried after her. Since I am from the Caribbean, I was happy that the manager was of ** descent (no harm intended here. But you see by now I really, really needed a lifeline... anybody. Please. Help. Me.). Big mistake on my part. My first attendant proceeded to say to her (Manager), remember Mr. so and so needs a car. And they are almost gone. Manager then asked me, "what is your credit score?" "Mine? I moved here (to United States a year now. Never checked it.)" "We need your permission to check it." "Go ahead." "There will be no car for you today."

Alamo, I used in California was out of cars. I called. All gone. Most of the agencies had none, either. I was stranded (trust me, not a good feeling). I sat for a couple hours hurt, confused but most importantly flabbergasted at the treatment pelted out to be by Hertz's people. It almost feels like dream. Not real at all! Finally, I gathered myself and took a taxi to the Westminster area and checked into a hotel here. A beautiful first-rated hotel, I see. Without the car I had booked, I am not able to venture far from the airport or get to my original destination/hotel.

This is a confession, when I walked into the new hotel I was mesmerized by its plush interior and worried that they will reject me and my card(s). But I braved it. Walked to the counter and asked for a suite (I needed it). The young lady kindly said, "Sure, may I have your credit card and ID, please?" "Debit card," I mumbled; half afraid of what she might say. "Sure", came her answer. She entered my information. Gave back my items and said, "welcome to our hotel." I hurried to the elevator. Opened my door. Locked it behind me. Crashed to my knees and wept.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I was scheduled to have someone pick me up from Hertz and the collision center for a car rental. I was told to call when I was on my way to the collision center, so I did. A rude agent answered the phone and I told her the situation and needed someone to pick me up; her response was, "Uh huh, ok." So being the non-professional person that she was, I assumed that meant yes as I was heading to the collision center to drop my car off for repair and for someone to pick me up from Hertz. So 20 minutes later I drop my car and keys off just in time before they locked the doors for the day by there was no one there from Hertz. I sat for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes and decided to just sit and wait in my hot car that I had no keys to because the collision center was closed that this time.

I waited a total of 20 minutes before I got fed up and called my claims rep to help me because I am now at this point stranded. She canceled the reservation from Hertz and called Enterprise and 10 minutes later they were there and was able to get me in a rental. I’m not sure what that rude female name was but she does NOT need to be working in a public environment with a nasty attitude. I felt that if it was her or one of her family members that was left sitting out in a hot car, she would be mad also. And if she knew no one was coming to get me, then she should’ve said so. It is so hard to find good help even if it is in a worldwide business. So NO stars from me!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Do NOT rent a vehicle with Hertz! You'll end up paying double in the end. I rented thru Hertz because I'm a AAA member but I'll never do it again. Long story short they billed me for a $300 cleaning fee because they said the car smelled like smoke. We don't smoke!!! Apparently they don't have to verbally tell you not to smoke (which we didn't). Anyhow no matter how many Hertz employees I spoke with they said basically they have to go by what the drop off center said. Their word against mine sort of thing.

But as it stood since it's in the contract on page 110 in the smallest print ever that if the car smelled like smoke then we would be charged a fee. So no matter how many times I told the people at Hertz WE DON'T smoke... WE DIDN'T smoke they still refused to give me my money back. But I could however dispute it with my credit card company but that may take months and Hertz will still say it's in the contract!!! These people are a rip off. Hidden fees everywhere and their word against yours in the end.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I rented a vehicle May 2, 2018 until May 18, 2018. When I initially rented this vehicle I used my husband's credit card which the representative charged 89$ for the first two weeks of the rental. I still needed an additional two days in which I brought my credit card in and they charged an additional 88$ for. When I called that Friday of the 18th, the charged had closed out by the end of the day for 44$. By Monday the 21st of May, the whole payment seemed to disappear and the money was in my account.

Knowing that there was something that had not cleared and would be coming through to be billed for this rental to my surprise Hertz then followed to charge my account 326$, not expecting this whole amount to be charged to my account when we had used two different payment methods. When calling Hertz the following day the representative confirmed "someone" had closed the rental agreement out on the wrong day and he would file an e-form to be able to refund the money and this could take 5-7 business days.

I have since then spoken to the branch and when I call they mysteriously disconnect, and also when I have spoken to service representatives in the credit department, and supervisors, they are still giving me the runaround. After all this time and after Hertz has been fully paid by the insurance and me, at the end of the business day May 23, 2018, I have still not been refunded the money that I was negligently overcharged. This is becoming much more than negligence and seems almost fraudulent.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I went to the Pasadena, TX location at the Monument Chevrolet dealership for a personal rental a couple of years ago, the customer service was exceptional and I thought I would rent from them again... Anyway, I haven't had to rent a car until today. I was rear ended and State Farm uses Hertz. Well, I dropped my car off at the collision place and I'm in the waiting room waiting on the Hertz driver. A lady walks in and said, "Are you waiting for Hertz?" I said, "Yes I am," and another guy sitting next to me agreed that he was waiting too. All she said was "that's fine." So, I figured the lady worked at the collision shop and was just trying to see what we were waiting for. The girl from the collision center told me Hertz was there to pick me up and I went outside... And it was the same lady that had came into the waiting room. There was no smile, no "Hi, how are you doing today. Follow me please." It gets worst.

I finally get to the Hertz location on Main St in Houston, TX to check-out the rental vehicle and the guy "Ryan" didn't say "take a seat." He said, "Give me your license and a debit card." He was so serious yet he received a call from what I could hear was a woman and he started to laugh. He was also texting. The guy was rude from the time I walked in to the time I drove off and he's the assistant manager... Shocking! I was so uncomfortable and ready to get out of there. I was involved in a wreck and these people are supposed to help you and make it better, but instead they make you feel as if you're not wanted and you're taking them away from doing something more important. Like texting. LMAO! NEVER AGAIN HERTZ!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I has to travel to Myrtle Beach SC for two days. I flew Spirit (first mistake) and the plane was late and the counter closed at 11. The plane arrived at 2 PM. I had spoken with the reservation agent and told them I was flying Spirit and they were notoriously unreliable. She assured me it would not be a problem as long as the flight was late and I gave her the flight number. I arrived at Myrtle Beach and the counter was closed. I took a cab to a nearby hotel and in the morning I went to the airport and picked up the car.

When I got my AMEX bill I noticed I was charged for two days. I called customer service and was told since it was prepaid I had to pay for two days. I am wondering about a couple of things, why was I punished for prepaid and why wasn't I told that I would have to pay if the plane was late. (No control on my part) The clerk did offer me 25.00 on a voucher for future rentals. I will cancel my gold membership and will never rent from Hertz again. Problem solved.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Person at checkout was just blah. He did not smile and not helpful at all. He seemed like he did not want to be there. Good thing I was not new at renting.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I made a reservation with Hertz and due to business travel rescheduling, I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks prior to renting the car. I was charged a $50 (I was told my a Hertz customer service rep. that it could have been $100) "cancellation fee." This is ridiculous. I've never had car rental company charge me for canceling a reservation. Hertz just lost a long time customer. I would stick with Enterprise, National, or Alamo.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Rented a car on May 9, 2018 in Stuart, FL; return car at West Palm (PBI) facility the very next morning (approx. 4:45am). There was no one there to check the car in at the time, left the paperwork and key in the car and got on the Shuttle that was there! I noticed Hertz kept charging my card, up $800.00 and counting. They said I never returned the car, West Palm Beach Police were called in to investigate. They told me there was no such vehicle on the premises and the video showed NO recording of me dropping the vehicle off. I spoke to the Manager and he also accused me of NOT returning the car. I asked for his name and he would not give it to me. The whole thing was very strange...

About 9 days later, I called Customer Service and they found the car on the premises! Like it levitated back to the lot. I also STILL have a charge appearing on my credit card for over $430.00 for a one day rental that was suppose to be $47.56... Be aware of returning a rental vehicle, especially at HERTZ, take pics and lots of them. These dudes are stealing their own cars or definitely looks that way... BE AWARE!!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I prepaid for a rental car from Hertz at Reno Nevada Airport. I picked up the car and the agent said she needed my card. She asked if I needed to add anything to my rental. I declined any additional coverage, then she handed a paper to sign to me. I asked what this was for. She said it was for the deposit. Seven days later, I turned the car in and received a charge of $ 186. I called Hertz. Ask them about the charge and they said I had added collision insurance. I told them that I had not and the agent said, "Well you signed for it," and I said, "I'll never rent from you again." He said, "Well will give you half the money back."

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information