2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was stuck with my kids at Bakersfield airport because another rental company told me they had a car for me and after making me wait for almost 2 hours told me they didn't have a car available, a wonderful Hertz representative heard my daughter crying and offered us a car rental, we were out of there within 5 minutes. Thank you Hertz!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

This is a huge thanks to Gabby, that works at Hertz Sheraton Vistana Villa HLE. I rented a car (Economy Suv) couple of weeks ago for 2 days for my road trip to ST Augustine. I signed for the empty petrol return in exchange of 39 dollars, but I wasn't satisfied with that. At the end of the journey I haven't use all that gasoline, when I returned the car, I spoke with Gabby and she was so kind and understandable that she took care about my issue in a excellent manner. Thank you Gabby! You're Amazing! See you again.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have rented several cars from Hertz. The service has always been very nice and helpful. They work very hard to give you the car that you need. And if they don't have the one you want they will find a comparable for you. I particularly like the Hertz in Pleasanton, California. They take the stress out of renting a car!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We took a trip to Minnesota this past summer and had to rent a car as there were 4 of us. Normally we just take a shuttle service but we needed a car for our use during our trip. I have mostly used Hertz as my go to for car rentals. This trip was no exception as I made reservations with Hertz. We needed a toddler car seat and it was provided to us for no charge (some companies charge for the car seat). We chose a compact car that fit our budget. When we got to the rental desk, Hertz had all the paperwork ready to sign and go. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and we were headed to our car. They were out of the size car that we ordered and they immediately upgraded us to a larger SUV and no additional charge. Add to this experience were all the great smiles and service from the rental desk through the gate person. I will definitely use Hertz in the future...

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The vehicle was great riding in it, but gas to keep it up was very expensive. Two weeks $84.00. That is only going when necessary. Dodge Grand Caravan 2019. I own a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox 4 cylinder very good on gas. It runs great. I can ride a month on $80.00 going anytime I want to. It's very easy on the pocket.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I've rented car from Hertz at 14500 1st Avenue South Burien, WA 98168 from 07.22.2020 to 07.29.2020. I’ve received station report summary from Hertz stating: UPON RETURN, CAR SMELLED OF SMOKE, CHARGED CUSTOMER AND TOOK PICS. They charged 300.00$. I’ve called the main Hertz office disputing this charge as no one smoked anything inside the car. The main office directed me to call local branch at Burien, WA. I had a talk with the agent who actually inspected the car after return, and he said that he detected a cigarette smoke. This is a completely unsubstantiated claim, since nobody ever smoke anything inside the car.

In addition, rental company did not provide any proof for the claim. Therefore, it is the agent word against mine (ours). In addition, even in hypothetical situation if there was any smoke smell cleaning would cost from $50-$125 for a typical car, and up to $75-150 for a van or SUV. Thus the charge of 300.00$ even from this point is unreasonable. It appears that Hertz solving their financial problems at the cost of customers.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Have been planning a trip to celebrate my Grand daughter's graduation in NC and booked a reservation with no refunds and must prepay, No problem as the deal was a good price and offered an additional driver at no cost, so I booked it 3 months prior to the trip. One week prior to my leaving for the trip I tried to call the location where I was to pick up the car. Tried several times and recording stated that the location was open but busy so it routed to the main hub, I assume, as that is where I spoke to a rep and tried to confirm the reservation and seek assurance there would be a vehicle and THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS. The rep assured me all is well and no problems would occur. Tried to call the local office again the day before travel and again the recording stated store hours and routed me to the main hub again.

The day of travel had been planned down to the minutes as I had to meet my wife who left work early as did I to travel to the location to pick up the vehicle as confirmed by the reps and itinerary. Well we get to the location only to find the doors locked and a note on the door stating that this location is closed and to drive to another location way out of my way.. The funny thing is that there is a Hertz care sales store right next door to the rental car office that is closed, One of the car sales guys said that there is nothing he can do.. So I start driving to the location that is on the sign taped to the door, actually no address just a well known intersection about 15 miles away.

While traveling there I call the main Customer Service number to try to get the exact address and speak to another moron who cannot find the location and asked me to travel to the Ft Lauderdale airport.. Again I must stress our schedule is very tight as we have booked hotel along the way and had plans.. The moron continues to look for the new location near the intersection the sign said to go to with no luck, I asked my wife to google hertz near there and she was able to get the address, the moron still was unable to locate it.. I kept him on the line with me as we tried to find the location which was approx 2 miles from the intersection stated on the note that was on the door of the original location where I was to pick up my vehicle.

I finally got to that location where a young lady named ** greeted me quite rudely and after I explained my situation she seemed a bit put out by the whole thing however she stated she would see if there was a car available.. She informed me that she would help me out and provide a car which was supposed to be a SUV, but stated that I would have to wait till it was cleaned, I asked how long that would take and she would not say.. Now I am starting to get pissed off. She started the process of the paperwork and she asked me if I would like to add an additional drivers, I stated that the reservation was a special that they had and that it included an additional driver at no cost.. She rudely told me that was not possible and refused to help... I showed her the itinerary on my phone that showed the special and she refused me the offer..

I stated that she should do the right thing as I have already been very inconvenienced very much and she stated that she was helping me out by providing a vehicle to me. At that point I asked for the manager who had been milling around the back area listening to this whole thing go down and never intervened at any time.. Well the young girl who stated she is the manager finally got to the counter after taking her time listened as I explained what was happening, She once again denied me the additional driver at no charge as was agreed to when I booked the car.

Her name was ** and I was simply astonished at the lack of customer service and the casual way that they went about their business, I stated to the so called Manager that the right thing to do now was give me the car at the agreed upon price and include the driver at no charge, if for no other reason that I have been driving around Ft Lauderdale trying to find this location and they now have taken up about 90 minutes out of my day not planned on because the location was closed and I was not notified, even when I called in to make sure all was set.. LOL..

At that point she asked if I had AAA and gave in and gave me the agreed upon deal.. She should have done that in the beginning and this whole mess could have been avoided.. Approx 10 mins later the original young lady named ** drove a very filthy SUV around to the front and handed me the keys.. She never said a word as she walked around the vehicle with her phone video taping the SUV.. I asked if the car was gassed up, and she walked away.. The most unbelievable experience I have ever had while renting a vehicle.. TRUST ME FOLKS, DO NOT USE HERTZ at the Powerline Road location in Ft Lauderdale as they simply do not care and are the most useless people I think I have ever dealt with.. Upon returning the vehicle 11 days later there was a older gentleman there who was very professional and nice.. I wish I had his name because he worked hard and had a purpose in his step.. The other two were horrible..

Original review: July 27, 2020

I rented a car and returned it as planned. Everything went well and I was told I would get my receipt emailed to me in the morning so I didn’t have to go inside the airport. Next morning I had a $100 cleaning fee for a little sand! No trash at all, car was clean with a little sand! I did not get the chance to vacuum it and not get the ridiculous fee! Customer service did not work with me at all. I couldn’t talk to anyone, just an email to express my concern and 10 days later an email saying the fee was valid! Do not trust this company, I will never use them again.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My wife booked and prepaid for a Hertz Car for a one-way trip of 5 hours. When we went to the counter, he refused to rent a car because he said her driver's license was expired. I showed him the NC law that extends all expiration dates for five months, keeping them valid for driving. He refused to budge. Basically he told us that "This law does not apply to us." I ended up spending the rest of the day driving so she could get to where she wanted to go. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I reserved an auto online in Destin, Fl. I paid an Uber driver to transport me there only to learn they did not have any vehicles available that day. Corporate found a vehicle an hour away so another Uber trip, $150 and 3 hours later, I got in a rental.

Hertz author review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information