Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.33/5

2367 Hertz Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

Just want to commend one of your employees for outstanding service. After being told that the Hertz location I was directed to no longer existed (why didn’t Hertz contact all of the customers with open reservations let them know that particular office was closed???), a Lyft was arranged by Hertz to drive us back to the city center. Manny was not only friendly and understanding, but he straightened out our reservation issue and got us into a vehicle in less than 30 minutes. Thank you Manny for making a difficult and annoying situation 100 times better. One star for Hertz the company for not keeping their customers informed about crucial changes in their reservations. I expect more from a national chain. Manny saved you a repeat customer.

- Corina

Original review: June 25, 2019

I want to take a minute to recognize one of your employees who I feel went above and beyond to help me. Her name is Connie and she is in the IT department. The problem with my reservation was actually not something that should have been sent to IT. Despite that, she took the initiative to contact reservations and apply my coupon appropriately and fix the problem. I am still waiting for a confirmation email but felt moved to review CONNIE (Badge # **) because of her eagerness to help me, pleasant disposition and therefore - superior customer service. Please recognize her for this at least in an email. Thank you, Connie!

Sincerely, Heidi **.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My review is specifically for the Hertz location in Cincinnati, Ohio suburb of Fairfield. Specifically the one on Dixie Highway. Andrew & his team is the best! Courteous, friendly, funny and professional! I needed to pick up the vehicle a day earlier than scheduled as it was raining heavily and Andrew says it was fine and didn't charge me the extra day!

I've rented cars for 2 decades with every company imaginable and I can tell you I've never had that experience! I forgot my garage opener on my car visor and didn't realize it until I came home and called Hertz. Andrew answered the phone and he says, "Let me guess. You're sitting in front of your garage and wondering how you're going to get in?" Right on point. He didn't even have a chance to check the returned car yet. Evidently I'm not the first car renter this has happened to.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I rented a car from Hertz in San Fransisco. It was an easy and quick process. A few hours later I found myself nearly out of gas driving at night while driving alone in a strange city. I had been in a hurry and hadn't checked the gas tank. Apparently, neither did the Hertz attendant. Luckily, I was able to get gas safely, but I was truly nervous crossing the Bay Bridge with the gas light on. When I returned the car, I was told I would be charged more since I didn't return the car with a full tank. I explained the story and they wouldn't budge.

The manager came over to help. She immediately understood what I was trying to explain. She apologized, empathized and deducted all the gas money I had put into the car unnecessarily from my bill. Her name was Nichole ** and Hertz is lucky to have her. I entered the return area pretty ticked off, but now, because of her excellent customer service, I will absolutely use Hertz again. She also said it sounded like a training issue and she would reinforce with her staff that the gas tank is always to be checked. Again, I am now going to use Hertz anytime I need a rental car.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

So I went over to the Hertz rental office in Tarry Town NY. It seems like that office got off to a slow start. I decided to go over to the location in Elmsford NY where I met ** 3rd Branch Manager at 54 North Central Avenue Elmsford NY, 10523 and he made things a lot better. I explained to him that I was in a rush to fix my vehicle and had to get to work. He assured me that he was going to make sure he get me out fast and was and he delivered just as promised. He was professional, courteous, and well mannered even though I came in a bit frustrated. There should be more branch managers such as **. I will definitely come back to this office.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

When a rental was booked incorrectly thru a third party and the third party would not make corrections to the rental, the team at the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport stepped up and took care of me with first class service. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I only wish I could post this review with ZERO stars. HErtz left my family and me stranded in England without the necessary tools to help ourselves and then their customer service was UNAVAILABLE to help us, even though we had paid extra for 24x7 service. Then they charged us $1800 for the miserable experience. WE got a flat tire deep in the countryside. After spending an entire day getting ourselves and our car to a Hertz-approved mechanic, we discovered that Hertz had neglected to include the necessary locking lug nut wrench with the car. Nothing could be done. No one could be reached by phone. They charged us $1800 and have refunded only a portion. They insist that we pay over $600 for the car. I am irate that they not only left us in a precarious situation and didn't provide the 24hr service that we were promised, but that they are not crediting us the full expense of our rental.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I joined Hertz Gold Apex 5 years ago. I used their rental cars for a number of vacations and business uses. Today, I will never use Hertz again. I had received an email stating I have points that qualify me for a "free rental" only to find out..the dates I needed are "not available" for this offer. There is no mention of particular dates in the offer. I needed to travel for a memorial service in the Boston area and my travel dates were not flexible... Neither are the representatives at Hertz.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

They are not honest. I reserved at full size car paid for and when I got to the site Hertz downgrade the car on purpose. They promised to give a partial refund which never happened. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

My wife rented a car from Hertz in Aruba at the Marriott on Sunday, July 28, 2019 at around 9:30 am for 5 days. We were told we had to return the car on Friday, August 2nd by 10 am for a 5 day rental. All went well until we return the vehicle on Friday at 8:30 am and were told we were being charged another day on our credit card as we did not return it by 5PM the day prior. Made no sense as we only had the car 5 days, not 6 and we were told by the original lady when to bring it back. Well the new lady on Friday says my wife was lying, meanwhile I was there. How can you take a car out for rental for 5 days and be charged a 6th day when you return it in less than 5 twenty four hour days? Makes no sense. Well we were lied to and screwed. Now protesting with credit card company. Beware if you go to Aruba and use Hertz....

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information