Hertz

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Economy category at Hertz appears to be a Chevrolet Spark which does not conform to this category for other Priceline cars. HOWEVER, even so, the car offered by Hertz was an ugly bright yellow car and the counter person STRONGLY dissuaded us from taking this car because of its condition, size, and SAFETY concerns. We were pushed to get a larger car (even above their "compact" category), but the prices were so outrageously high over $30.00 per day, that we had to settle for a compact (Nissan Versa), which was an additional $20 per day, but with some effort and crying on my wife's part, we wound up getting it for $14.00 per day. The car was dirty, scratched up, had high mileage and smelled terribly. This was one of the worst car rental experiences we've ever had. We were definitely ROBBED on this.

My daughter rented a car and returned it on time but the local branch was too lazy to pick up the car from the location where she was told to drop it off. They then charged her almost $80.00 in fees. It took 10 phone calls and then me getting involved to get the funds back. This should have been a one call resolution not 11 calls and 6 days to get this complete. We will NEVER EVER rent from Hertz again!!!

Buried under the innocuous "read this before you pick up your car" it states that you can't hire a car with a debit card with this company... You can with Europcar, Keddy, etc. Lost my deposit and I'm locked out as a customer for life (like hundreds of thousands of others)... A bizarre business plan! The others must be happy! I'm back with Europcar. :)

I rented a car from Hertz in west Babylon N.Y. Even though I had a reservation they didn't have my requested car, no full tank, and a dirty car. But I could let that go. The problem is, a week after I turned the car in, I get a charge on my credit card saying I ran a toll booth. Number one, I don't have a EZ pass, so anyone knows you have to go through the cash lane. After I told them this important fact, they said if I have a receipt for the cash toll, I could get my money back. I said, "SCREW YOU." Who the hell gets a receipt for a cash toll. They can keep that money, but I will Never use their cars Again. Now I feel Better???

My name is Angela **. I am 45 years old. I am writing to make a complaint about a car rental company taking advantage of my good nature, abusing my business credit card for their own financial gain and not giving me the insurance on the vehicle I needed at the time of service and trying to charge me an exacerbate amount of money for rental car charges on a daily rate and to have simple car insurance on the vehicle that I rented on a daily basis. I paid overall to rent the vehicle. I am using $391.00 to rent a car from Saturday, Dec. 31, 2016 to Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM. That is ridiculous and the rental car place refused to give me car insurance and told me that I would have to cancel my contract but they would still have to charge me an extra $200 just to put car insurance on my vehicle. All in total I would spend on a rental car from Sunday-Wednesday is $591.00.

The other charges that would have been charged on my card would be the rental charges to rent the vehicle which would be $31.00 a day which started on Tuesday. They told me a lie and stated I could not get the rate of $24.00 a day and they told me that the system gave them that rate and they lied and said they did not have any control over that particular rate. So based on that I will end up paying a whole lot more money to rent a car if I rented the car one more day at that rate and I would end up paying $891.00 for the whole rental period from Saturday-Thursday. And that is plain robbery and bad customer service and bad type of rental agreement as well as bad rental contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

My car smelled like smoke the entire trip and made us very nauseous! Before we left with the car I explained to the rep that I had requested a smoke-free car, and I kindly asked him what he could do to make it right. He just plainly said "nothing" and shrugged then walked away. I tried everything I could to get the smell out with no success. My first time renting with Hertz was a major letdown. Not to mention it took FOREVER to get my car once I arrived, despite having made a reservation. Even when I called to file a complaint the lady seemed indifferent. The company gives off a lazy attitude.

I rent a car in France when I was there through the internet. When I went to get the car I had problems with my credit card, then I offered to pay in cash. They did not accepted money (I don't believe). So they said I could not get the car and walked away. Today I have read my credit card account and they charged me! It is called stole, if they did not rent me anything even I showing that I can afford for that, WHY to charge me if they not wanted to hire any car?

I bought a car from Hertz in Phoenix AZ on Bell Rd. The first clue should've been when I asked for a Carfax and was told that they would "get one to me". Long story short I bought a car from here. The car drove well for about a week before I noticed issues with the steering. I called and spoke with a manager who assured me that I could just bring in the car and they would fix. Well everything but that has happened. I have never been late on my payments but now almost a year later and 4 service calls later... the car is barely driveable. Issues range from steering issues to brakes not working properly. Mind you the manager told me that these issues were fixed the first 2 times. I later found out that the car had been in an accident but I was never notified of this. My calls go unanswered and meanwhile I'm still responsible for a car I'm afraid to drive. I've place a call to the corp office about 2 weeks ago... still no answer. Please avoid them at all costs.

While at Hertz car rental at Tallahassee airport I was returning the car and filled up with gas. They later charged me $60.00 extra for the gas on my credit card. I called Hertz and said that "you charged me double what it cost to fill up and the tank was full." They said "sorry. Nothing we can do." I will never use this car rental again and I told friends and family also not to. I believe they train their employees to cheat customers.

I have been with hertz now for 15 years only for status which really means nothing. As a weekly traveler getting around quickly is important. I have been so blindsided by using one company that I have missed the boat! The Hertz system is falling apart quickly. As I am sure some high profile consultants have told the overpaid CEO that here is where we turn the company's profits. I along with several of my weekly travel friends are all leaving your POS organization! Even having discussions with your employees who are upset with your company. Issues: waiting in line to leave rental centers sometimes for 30 minutes during rush hours, limited staff at key locations, Garbage cars at local edition facilities. I am done with you people. The rules keep changing everyday and we're sick of your business tactics. I will figure out another way to use my 12000 rental points but I am sure there is no other way than to rent your cars on your agenda, not mine!

I booked and paid for a rental car and insurance for my 20 year old son who is active duty military with Hertz through Expedia. I was told by Expedia that Hertz charges a fee for drivers under 21 but with a military ID the fee would be waived. Not only did Hertz not waive the fee but they charged him for additional insurance. Both Hertz and Expedia have refused to issue a refund for the 189.00 fee. I paid Expedia 397.00 and Hertz charged my son's card 584.00. That is 981.00 for a Toyota Yaris for 5 days. A 20 year old soldier can defend our freedom but gets cheated by companies that operate in the free country he helps to provide.

My husband is a Hertz gold member. We booked a car on November 8th for our December 26th trip to St. Lucia. We found out several days before our trip that a manager at Hertz in St. Lucia had canceled our reservation. Hertz never notified us about this change. We found out when double checking that we had the car we requested. My husband contacted Hertz on several occasions and we never received any help, despite our long-standing relationship with the company! Despite assurances that a representative would contact us to resolve this problem, that never happened! The representative we spoke with an hour ago basically shrugged it off. “Nothing we can do, don't know why that happened!” No offer to try to find us a car. No offer for vouchers in the future! This is clearly a business that does not care about their customers!

My wife needed a car for several days on our last trip to Chicago. So, being long time renters through Hertz (gold, like forever) she made a reservation to pick a car up at the downtown train station. She arrived and was told there were no cars available (the expected returns hadn't shown up), NO CARS. When asked if there were any other cars, either there or at other locations, she was told there WERE NO CARS. After an hour of wrangling with them, they told her they were going to cancel the reservation.

If you are a car rental company, and are in the business of renting cars, especially to premium customers, and a reservation is made well in advance (it was not done that day - just to be clear) how does any self-respecting rental company NOT HAVE a car AVAILABLE?!! NOT ANYWHERE in the entire CITY?!?!? And then just cancel the reservation without making any accommodations for the customer to get them where they need to go?

We have had plenty of bad experiences with Hertz in the past, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. We have picked up cars with the metal holding the windshield literally falling off as we drove, we have had hour delays getting our car (so much for walking out to the car which is already available), we have had twenty minute delays in freezing Chicago weather waiting for a shuttle to the rental center, while watching a dozen or more buses for other companies go by, but not having a car and having them cancel the reservation is beyond belief. We will never rent from Hertz again. EVER!

I went to pick up the car which I had reserved online and it was 2 days before Christmas. When I got there, the clerk didn't make eye contact the entire time. Went out to get the car and started cleaning it while I was sitting there. The car had just come off of the car hauler and it was filthy. The manager came in and told me he was going to give me $10 off if I wouldn't mind taking it dirty (on the outside) because they didn't have the car wash available due to the holiday. I said I would take it. I got in the car and apparently they had the window open on the car hauler because it was incredibly dirty on the inside as well. Splashed mud all over the dash, the seat, the ceiling, everywhere. I took my coat off because I didn't want to get it dirty. I will be sure to not get a car from Hertz again due to the poor customer service.

Last weekend we picked up a car in the Orlando airport. The customer service agent was very friendly. When we returned the car on Monday evening, the attendant said the car smells like smoke. My friend and I immediately said, "We have never smoked a day in our lives and there was no way we smoked in the car." In addition, I was told by another agent that the $200 credit card hold would only remain on my card for 24 hours. It has been four days now and it's still pending. I will never rent a car through Hertz again. I don't know how long that $200 hold will be on my credit card and if they try to charge me for smoking in the car, I will really be mad. They have lost my business forever.

My husband rented a car at Hertz in Gainesville. He was told the insurance would be a total of $17. When we got to our destination we checked and found out that they had stolen over $200 for the insurance, lied about our approval (he signed nothing), and when we called them on it they lied and said they would not refund unless we brought the car back which we could not do as we were 14 hours away on our vacation. Furthermore, the receipt they gave us was so arranged in such a dishonest manner as to totally trick us into believing that they only charged us what they said they would (and not what they did).

We are bringing this to the attention of our lawyer to see if we can bring a class action suit against this company which appears to be doing the same and similar things to others. Evidently the sales clerks are given a commission on the insurance sales. Lies, lies, and more lies. Do NOT patronize this company. You will be very sorry. Even our cruise control did not work!

I clearly confirmed with the sales representative when I picked up the car that I wanted the fuel coverage. When I returned the car, they charged me $100 for fuel. When I called customer service they told me I was responsible for making sure their sales reps did their job, I. e included the fuel coverage. The entire rental process was chaotic. Worst car rental experience ever!

I reserved a car from the Woodbridge, NJ location. An hour and a half before I was supposed to pick the car up, my phone rings. It's Hertz, to inform me that they had overbooked the reservations for x-mas week & there were no cars available in the whole northeastern region. They gave me a customer service number, which was only automated. No help. I called another number I looked up, & the representative apologized, but told me the same thing. No cars available!! So unprofessional!! I had reservations for the next 10 days, that was all planned around this rental car. I've called numerous rent a cars & everybody is booked for the holidays. They waited til the last minute, & destroyed my trip. Beware, DO NOT rent from Hertz if you actually NEED the car!!!

I rented a car to make a 13 hour drive to visit my parents for christmas 2016. When reserved with Orbitz I requested a compact car comparable to a Ford Focus which I have rented in the past. When I got to the rental location all they had were tiny cars. The person that waited on me said that's what the company considered compact. He said I could have a yards which smaller than the Hyundai accent that I got. This is a SUB-compact class. It is not comfortable. I knew it would be small but I was expecting compact not less than that. The car was not very clean. There are stains on the seat and the mirrors were streaked. Also I had to get my Dad to add windshield wiper fluid. It was empty and I desperately needed it since I was in a colder climate where the roads had been salted.

I really don't have anything nice to say about the worker or the car. I feel like I am overpaying. I work in the vacation rental industry and I know what customer service should be. I wish I had researched Hertz. I used them in 2011 and was very happy. Maybe it's the Foley, Alabama location that doesn't care about their service.

I've been a Hertz Gold Member for several years through work. I book in advance so the car is always ready for me and I don't have to wait in any lines. I just read my name on the board next to my vehicle spot and drive out of there. Hertz is rarely ever the cheapest rental car service. I only use it cause my work pays for it. The Hertz reward program is not that great. I've used them so many times that anytime I try to redeem my points, all these crazy fees basically add up to what I would have paid, usually more, if I would have used a cheaper rental car company. I had several free days worth of free rentals points, but yet I was still going to pay hundreds on all these crazy fees. Hertz said it was the airport charging these fees. I am happy with the car always being ready and great customer service, but if you are the occasional car renter I recommend a cheaper service.

I rarely complain about anything or write any reviews, but this incident pushed me over my tolerance: I was a frequent "Gold Plus" renter at Hertz (spending between $5-10K a year on rental Internationally) until yesterday when I was going to pickup a car at the airport as usual but was told I'm on a "Do-Not-Rent" list and couldn't get a car. The lady at the front desk told me there was nothing she could do aside from calling a couple of phone numbers to try to resolve the issue.

Calling number 1 - (Customer Relations): I receive a Robo-Answering machine with tons of options, none that applies to me. I try "0" for representative, this is not an option. I try navigating through a few options hoping to speak with a person and I always end up at a dead end. 15 min later I try the other phone number: Calling number 2 - (Do-Not-Rent assistance). I call this number and it's outside business hours.

Back to the lady at the desk, asking for a refund for my $300 prepayment since I have no option to get my car. She's unable to do that. I go next door and was able to get a car from a different company, paying very high rates due to the short notice. I call the 2nd number the day after and find out I'm blocked by their German office and she's unable to see why or help me get in touch with anyone. She ends up transferring me to the first phone number with the endless loop robo-options. Conclusion: I ended up disputing the charge on my credit card for the pre-payment and will never rent from Hertz again.

The car that I was renting kept having mechanical lights popping up the second day after I had the vehicle. I notified the office and their reply was simply "Oh must need an oil change." You think that would have been taken care of before the car was rented to me. After I returned the car, without notification Hertz deducted $206 out of my bank account after 3 months! I contacted the company and they claimed they I had received two speeding tickets, but never received notification of the speeding tickets. After Adam at the NE Cedar Rapids location was extremely rude and played dumb, he gave me a 1-800 number to dispute the speeding tickets.

I got another extremely rude employee who kept talking over me and couldn't locate the speeding tickets through my Driver's License number (shocker) I asked why I magically didn't receive notice of these two speeding tickets and she claims "they're in the mail." So they apparently keep your credit card numbers on file for months and just chose to make up speeding tickets to deduct out of your account WITH NO PRIOR NOTICE. This company is a scam. They are not here to keep customers happy, they are out here to make money off people who are already in crappy situations from automobile accidents. My advice, cancel your card after you make a transaction with this company or you'll regret it! P.S., I still have yet to receive any notification about two speeding tickets in the mail 3 months later. Straight scam artists.

We recently traveled from Seattle WA to Phoenix AZ. We rented a vehicle for the 2 days through Priceline. The charge was 99.05. When we reached the Phoenix airport and retrieved our vehicle at Hertz, all we were there for was to pick up the vehicle we ALREADY paid for. The transaction was done through video chat. The employee on the video chat APPARENTLY sold us insurance (which we already paid for) that we had no idea we were purchasing. This was VERY manipulative and WHO pays OR charges someone over 140 (not including insurance already purchased through Priceline) for insurance for 2 days? Do they represent the insurance company? And do they have a license to sell insurance at this capacity? We looked at the total that printed out at the kiosk. It said 249.00.

We were under the impression when he said, "Here's your total," that THIS 249.00 was the 200 deposit (that the clerk was behind all of us stating we needed our card for a required 200 deposit) and the 49.00 was for the extras he just apparently put on our bill. There was also a 42 charge for filling the car up also. BUT we took the car back FULL and they got to keep the 42. They stated, "Oh no. You don't get that back. It's not our issue if you bring it back full." Well we got 50 miles away from the airport and DING DING, our phone goes off stating 450.00 got charged to our card. We had to stop the car, we honestly almost crapped!

I called Hertz at the Phoenix airport and the lady was ABSOLUTELY NO HELP!! "Yep, that's how much it costs to rent a car. That's how much you paid." I explained we paid through Priceline already. She had NO idea what I was talking about. "We don't see those transactions." I was so upset. Then I called the head office number. The lady I spoke to said it would be all taken care of. "Don't worry about it. By the time you land Wednesday back home, it'll be all worked out."

It WAS NOT! I called and got somebody different. She said they were not going to refund any of it. I asked to view the video chat. She said only they get to view that. I explained that there has to be a way that we can view it, LEGALLY! She said she'll put in to the supervisor to view again and that we want to view the taping. STILL have not heard back. Don't expect to. That's the THIRD time they said they'll call back and did not. At this point, we put in a email to the local news to help us dispute. Seems from this site, we ARE NOT the only ones being coerced into paying an outrageous amount.

Booked two rental cars through Hertz for Christmas week. Just found out they made a mistake on the paperwork and we have one car but the other one we can only get 5 days later. We were doing a road trip around USA. They have completely ruined this, and kept me hanging on the phone for 45 mins from the UK, offered me 20 dollars discount. Shame on you. Please don't use this company.

Shortly after our car was totaled due to a head on collision we were told by our insurance that we need to obtain a rental car from Hertz or Enterprise. Lucky for us they both have locations on Washtenaw Ave in Ypsilanti Mi (close to our home) so we decided to talk with both. Our experience with the Hertz rental agent was the most unprofessional and disappointing customer service we have experienced in a long time. It was clear we were a bother and he was not prepared to work. His computer shut off and playing on his phone we asked him if he had any rentals available we were not picky. He rolled his eyes, laughed, and replied "You must be joking right? It's 3:30 on a Friday, I have no cars and you're supposed to wait until your insurance calls to reserve a car."

I told him I had all the info he needed on my phone to proceed but he stuck to the story of no cars. Funny we saw many on the lot. My husband was so angry he told him it seemed we were more of an inconvenience so we would take our business to Enterprise. He said, "Ok sorry you feel that way." Thirty minutes later and outstanding service from Enterprise we had a rental! Never going back to Hertz!

My car was backed into and the other persons insurance required that my rental car come from Hertz in Canton, Ohio. The order for a rental was placed three weeks before it was needed. I should have known when they showed up a week early with the rental just how incapable this business was. Today when the rental didn't arrive I called to find out how late they were going to be and was informed that they couldn't fulfill the order today and wanted to know if I still wanted them to find me a rental. I explained I was stranded since my car was taken to the repair shop and that I needed the rental immediately and the unfriendly, uncompassionate person from Hertz could have cared less. He claimed he had one of his girls call me one time earlier in the day.

The call never showed up on my phone & they obviously never called. Don't you think if you are a rental car company and have promised a car to someone you would actually put in effort to reach them when you couldn't fulfill the order? Like actually call and maybe even call more than once or crazy enough leave a message. Thank you Enterprise for delivering me a car and for being respectful about it.

I have a few issues and I think you need some info. First, the length of the rental. State Farm rented the vehicle for us on the 6th not the 5th. I and my wife were in Nashville on the 5th and I was with Mark ** (the State Farm agent) when he rented it. Second issue, the animal we were standing in your place with the dog and it was never mentioned to anyone about the animal (which was in my wires arms the entire time) plus the reason they rented the vehicle for us is because our truck that was supposed to be ready was not and all of that was explained, 3 witnesses. Third I returned the vehicle on the 29th and I realize it was after you had closed but it was there. I called at 930 on Monday morning and told the person working that the car was there and that I had put the keys in the passenger door pocket with the rental paper and locked the car.

I was told that they would call me back when they verified this and I have never gotten that call from anyone. So here is the correct math: RAV4 Rental total 23 days 23 X 33.24 = 764.52 minus State Farm 7 X 33.24 = 232.68, = 531.84. Minus the cleaning 110.00, = 421.84. We were charged 950.97. Difference 529.13 Now there is one last issue because I have documentation of all these dates and times and because you did not call me or email me with any attempt to reach me you also created an overdraft in my account to 108.00 and some embarrassing moments for my wife and myself. 529.13 + 108.00 = 637.13 I would like this money posted back to my account by the end of this day I know you will do the right thing. As of this time no one has responded even though I have attempted to contact them a total of 13 times.

My daughter was hit by a drunk driver and I had full coverage insurance so I rented a car. Upon its return about 3 weeks later I abruptly discovered that Hertz took 500 dollars out of my account. They said that I smoked in the car (but I did not) because they found what looked like ashes on the floor so they had to have it detailed which cost 300 then they overcharged me for another week that I didn't have the car and said they would refund me 195.97 (still no idea how they came up with that since car rental was only 3.50 per day for me). It has been close to 6 weeks since I returned the car and I am still fighting them to get my money and now they say they only owe me 87.00 but I still can't seem to get that back from them either. I will NEVER EVER RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE AGAIN!!! Terrible customer service if you ask me.

I rented a car from Hertz on Monday and I got a flat tire Tuesday afternoon. I called the company's emergency line and was assured by the agent that a tow truck would be on the way because there was no spare tire in the car. I wasn't upset or worried then. I understand that things happen. The agent told me that a tow truck would come in 16 minutes. 30 minutes had passed and I got a call from AAA (a tow truck company) and the woman on the other line said that there was a delay and the truck would come in 20 minutes. 40 minutes came and no call or car. I was very hungry and decided to grab McDonald's which was 3 minutes away. I even called AAA before leaving the car and I pressed 0, hoping I'd get to talk to someone. I got an automated machine saying "unfortunately no agent is available to assist you at the moment." I figured they'd call me once they arrive and see that I was missing.

They did call when they were late after all. I came out and there was no car then. Could anyone please picture a woman in the middle of Philadelphia, in a not very safe neighbourhood when it was pouring rain and dark? If you were in my shoes, how would you feel? All my stuff went missing with the car. I didn't know if the car was stolen or had been picked up by the tow truck. What if I had left my phone in the car? What would I do then? I just sat there on the sidewalk and started crying. I had no one to call for help then except the people from Hertz and they just abandoned me there. The tow truck came and picked up the car. He did not care if the person driving the car was dead or alive. I called Hertz back and the guy told me to cab to the airport where I originally for the car because the driver was unable to turn back. I got there and waited patiently in line.

There was a long line and only 2-3 staff working then. I was finally able to talk to someone after 40 minutes. I got there and asked the guy how they could do something like that to a human being. He said "It wasn't me that was on the phone with you." He asked me to sit down and he would get a manager. The manager came and talked to me then. He didn't seem to care but he gave me a new car and told me he'd send someone to go with me to the other section of your company to grab my stuff. By then it was 10 pm and the tire was flat at 5:30pm.

When I got there the guy at the gate said that everyone left and I wouldn't be able to get my stuff till the day after. Why would you they send me there if you they knew I couldn't get my stuff? I asked the guy that was leading me there that question. He asked me why I shouted at him. I said because he works for Hertz. His answer was "I don't work for Hertz. Now move your car you stupid **. I'll beat the ** out of you and run my car over you!" Why would a manager send someone who didn't work for the company to help out a customer? What if I was raped or killed when they left me on the street like that? Would they just say "it wasn't us on the phone with her so it's not our problem."

I am still in Philadelphia as I am writing this. It is now 3 am and I haven't been able to sleep yet. I am still shaking with anger and fear from what happened. I am only here for 4 days in total for a short break. I have to wake up early to deal with this stuff first thing in the morning. So basically I will waste a whole day of my short vacation to deal with this stuff. What a great company.

I was in an accident and the insurance of the person who hit me set up a rental car with Hertz. I was told by Hertz and the insurance company there would be no cost to me unless I purchased insurance with Hertz. However, when I went to take possession of the car and sign papers, the Hertz employee informed me there would be a $50 hold on my checking account until the car was returned with no damage and a full tank of gas. When I pick up the car the tank was not full, but I am now responsible to replace fuel that I did not receive. This has been the worst car rental experience and I will be lucky to get my $50 returned.

Compare Rental Cars