1.09/5
Based on 228 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

2055 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Nightmare of unaware with no prior notification of tolls and other violation charges adding ups during almost 10 months with the Lyft/Hertz rental totaling almost $900! Crazy thing is I had no idea of any owed charges being that I was paying tolls through the agreement portal weekly charges. After a small amount of tolls I was told they had real costly violation add on penalties if anything was owed!!! But I never received any notification except for a $30 parking ticket from a few months ago and I paid that! Thieves!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

This has been a complete nightmare. I rented a car to travel down to California with my family back in July and when reaching LA I was rear-ended by another driver (their fault completely). I purchased AON travel insurance when renting the vehicle, which you would think would cover the incident. WRONG! Not only did I have to get my personal insurance involved. AON covered the damage to the vehicle, but here we are in May of the next year getting a call from HERTZ saying that I need to cover all of these additional fees. Admin fee $100, Depreciation fee $85, Time loss fee $285! This is absolute corporate greed and I will never use this corrupt company again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I rented a car and filled the tank at a gas station just 4 miles from the airport. I made sure to have the attendant check the car at drop-off instead of doing an e-check-in because I wanted to make sure all was square (it was a group splitting the costs). Weeks later I received a letter notifying me that although they had checked the car in with a full tank of gas, they later determined it needed 10.5 gallons of gas and charged me $125.39 to my credit card. I emailed them a copy of my credit card statement with the gas charge listed and a map showing the location as 4 miles away from airport. They have yet to respond to me. Also, I tried to pull my future business, but they will charge me cancellation fees if I do, which has me trapped with them. Very unhappy and will never use again. Long time customer lost.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We had to change our flight due to it being cancelled and tried calling HERTZ to change our Rental drop off location to Fort Myers airport from Tampa, I called and explained the situation and the lady on the phone gave us a quote of $174.XX for changing the location. It wasn't our fault. The airlines cancelled the flights and rescheduled us and we had to fly out of a different airport. Ridiculous we rented with HERTZ so often and they don't work with the customer. Never using HERTZ again. Not like it matters for the rich execs there.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I forgot something in the car and I tried my hardest! To get the car company to get what I forgot in the car... Well that was a failure. Obviously once they got to the car they didn’t find anything... I had just left so I called them right away and the lady I spoke to said she would hold the car and have someone look... Again nothing! I also spoke to a manager and he set me straight! They are not responsible for anything the customers leave in the car. That’s the last time I’ll rent from HERTZ.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: May 15, 2018

I don't recommend HERTZ rental to anyone, because they are not serious. I rented vehicle with them several times during the last decades. On December 30th I rented one way rental from Lancaster, CA to LAX, for a small car full size, total price $91.08 with all taxes included. When I went to pick up the car, they did not have a vehicle available. They told me I have to understand, it is a weekend, and New Year's Eve. They told me to pick up a Ford Expedition to LAX, they need that at LAX (Los Angeles Airport) as soon as possible. I told them, it is too expensive and too big. Hertz agent said, "Just take at the same price, and if you don't we have nothing else for you." I ended up taking.

The gas level was already a 1/3 to the red. The agent took the picture of the gauge. He told me to drop the car at the same level of gas. I pumped $20 gas straight to the airport. A week later I saw I charge of $332 on my credit card. I call them, they said, I had to fill up, that's why they charge me $9.99 a gallon. I was already overseas, it was such a horrible experience. People need to pay attention to Hertz; many other people told me their nightmare with them. First able, I am a long time customer, second I took a car that I did not order, I was in a dire situation to drop the car at LAX and take an International Flight scheduled to depart 12/31/17. Customers need to be treated with respect, our credit cards are not just made to be charged the way they want.

Original review: May 12, 2018

The Hertz Corporation for the purpose of profit has implemented a program of fine & penalties, unfair contract terms, misleading and deceptive corporate policies. Upon making a reservation online locking my rate and rental insurance, I proceeded to Hertz office in Garden Grove. My car would be waiting for me, arriving I was informed that they had no cars to rent but the Fullerton store does. (Misleading and deceptive business practice)

Myself and two of my co-workers drove to the Fullerton store, I informed the Hertz representative that I had a reservation and was told at the Garden Grove store that Hertz would honor it. (Trickery) Upon signing the rental agreement I notice a differ rate and another $45 insurance policy. This is the last vehicle Hertz representative with the lack of poise decorum & social skills informed me, you can call and cancel the other reservation. (Strategy) I called and canceled the other reservation and later when I reviewed my credit card statement found I had been double charge for insurance. (Training)

Upon returning the vehicle we all know the gas scam, I ask that it be noted that the rental has a full tank. Immediately with a genuine smile as we are walking back into the office Hertz representative informed me, "I notice ashes on the floor mat. I am charging you $400 regarding our policy on smoking," I informed her, "I don't smoke. Nobody smoke in your rental," file a complaint. "I have your credit card number and I'm charging $400 extra." The Hertz corporation has an agenda focusing on conducting false statements involving inappropriate business tactics condoning unfounded ways of enforcing company policy, encouraging company representatives to master the art of deception. NOTE; In addition to the lack of social skills, manners and professional courtesy by your corporate representatives, is a direct reflection of the EXECUTIVES AT THE HERTZ CORPORATION.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We went with Hertz (ATL), because they have a reputation for being an upper tier rental company along with Enterprise and National. We wanted a very nice car because we were going to a wedding. BIG MISTAKE! We were getting in late, and as we were gold members, we had the option to skip the line, and were ensured our car would be ready for pick-up as soon as we arrived (they even have a pop-up ad that claims this). PSYCHE. We had to wait 15+ minutes (at 1 am) for them to locate the car. Then they said it would be several more minutes for them to clean the car.

Once we actually got to the car we quickly realized they skipped cleaning it. There were dirty fingerprints everywhere and even some wrappers under the seat. This wasn't some bottom of the line economy car either, it was their top of the line Infinity QX80 SUV, which we paid top dollar for. But as it was well after 1 am, we decided to just get the night going.

As we were driving out of the airport we noticed the tank was only 3/4 full (WTF). More evidence they didn't properly care for the car before renting it to us. So thankfully we took a picture of the dashboard as evidence. The next morning we called and described the information, and they provided a claim number and said we could bring it back 3/4 full. We also had the "option" to DO THEIR JOB and take it to a car detail shop to get it cleaned if we wanted (and would receive a $50 voucher). That's difficult to do when you only have a limited amount of time.

The car drove fine, and the rest of the trip went well. When we brought it back to Hertz (ATL) at the end of the trip we made sure to bring it back 3/4 with gas. Since quick drop-off without a representative present was the only option we couldn't inform anyone on-site about the gas issue. Guess what? $119 bill for fuel charges on our credit card.

So we had to call customer service again, and waste our time to remedy their poor service. The customer service agent was unapologetic, and after all the effort only gave us a refund on the gas (and maybe or maybe not the gas taxes, as well as, a gift voucher for 50 rental points towards another car in the future... which is 1/10 the amount needed for a day rental of an economy car). Yikes!

As all the rental companies in ATL are located in the same area, and have similar prices, I would rather spend my money at Enterprise (who we've had excellent service with and immaculately clean cars at other airports) or National. Hopefully, this review helps others to make the same wise choice and use these other companies too.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I traveled for business. I was unaware that all insurance options were added to my personal credit card. I never opted in nor out of any insurance. I signed one page believing it was the rental car agreement. No one explained anything to me or said that the paper was anything other than the car agreement. I did not receive a copy of what I signed. When I checked in the auto, I had a $370 bill charged to my credit card. When I contacted the local office, they agreed to remove only half of the charges. They said since I signed the paper, that was all they could do.

I then called the Corporate office and was told since the local branch only refunded me half, they could do nothing further and told me to file a complaint online. I completed the entire complaint form and their website froze and I had to start all over. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with when renting a car. The agents are obviously trained to make more money on every customer without ever telling the customer they are doing it! I will never use Hertz again and strongly suggest no one else does.

Original review: May 5, 2018

So on April 27th I rented a car from Hertz in Fort Lauderdale. I did the reservation online and was told it would be 192 for 5 days. It never said anything about a 200 deposit. So my card was charged 396. I was told gas would be 3.99 per gallon if they put it in. Well I was charged 68 for gas upon returning. This is bull. I'm going to let everyone know not to use Hertz.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I made a prepaid rental car reservation through AAA and ended up renting a car through Hertz. The plans we made didn't materialize and I needed to cancel 10 days before the reservation. Apparently there is a $50 fee if you cancel 24 hours or more before and $100 if within 24 hours of reservation. I was aware that a cancellation fee "may" be applied, but there was no indication to the amount of those fees. This was a non-negotiable amount, so why not make it more visible. Maybe I missed that memo, but it was not very apparent. So I feel it was hidden. That is a lot for cancelling a reservation! Hertz is making out very well for not doing much of anything in a cancellation! Beware of cancellation fees if you prepay! For me I will not book Hertz again! Also doesn't bode very well for AAA. I am not happy! Neither AAA or Hertz were very helpful when I complained, neither seemed to care.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I purchased Hertz Vouchers through my firm's work portal. I called the number on the voucher and told them I wanted to make a reservation using the vouchers. I gave the customer service rep the voucher numbers and was assured that my $400 worth of gift card vouchers were applied. The Service Rep said he needed my credit card number for renting the car. This reservation was made on Oct. 3, if I’m not mistaken. The next day, I noticed that my credit card was charged $401.62. I called the number on the voucher again and asked why my credit card was charged for the full amount and my vouchers weren't applied. My remaining balance after the vouchers should have been $1.62.

The service rep told me that once I turned the vouchers into my local Hertz when returning the car, then the $400 would be refunded on my credit card. So, when I went to pick up the car, the Hertz representative, upon pulling up my reservation, asked me for my gift vouchers and then, for my driver’s license and credit card. I asked the local Hertz representative when he thought I would be refunded, and he thought that it would be taken off my card once I turned in the car.

I called the Hertz Corporate line one more time, on Oct. 13, right after I had picked up the car. I asked again when the $400 would be refunded, and I was given the same answer – when I turned in the car, it would be refunded. While on our trip, I called the Hertz local office, to see how much it would be to add two more days, and they told me it would only be 91.07, which was great and I decided to extend for those days. So, when I dropped off the car, they ran my credit card again for the extra days and on October 30, my card was charged rightly for 91.07.

I waited a few days, and the charge for the $401.62 on October 5, 2017 was still on my credit card with no refund. I called the Hertz Corporate office again. They told me I needed to wait for the bank to process the refund and that it could take another week. After this period, the refund was still not on my credit card. I called the corporate office again. I talked to billing and then was transferred to customer service. I explained the whole situation, and they said that my reservation was rung up as a prepaid and vouchers can’t be used on a prepaid. I explained that original representative must have made a mistake, because he took my voucher numbers and said it would be applied.

Therefore, the customer service department had me talk to a manager who said would look up the recorded phone call and get back with me. The Manager, named Amy, called me back and left voicemail, saying that they did find the phone call, and after listening, the customer representative had made a mistake, and that my money would be refunded.

On November 17, I received an email from “Ed **” in Hertz Customer Care in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It stated that I would be receiving a refund of $91.07 and an apology for the inconvenience. Apparently, Hertz just looked up my most recent charge of those final extended days and just refunded that total without fully understanding that I had paid 401.62 via vouchers and Visa Card. My refund should have been $400?! So, therefore, there must have been some miscommunication and misunderstanding between “Amy” and this “Ed **”. Therefore, I called Hertz Corporate again. I was told that a manager would call me back, but I waited several days, with no call. I never received one.

I called Hertz Corporate again. They told me to email customer service. I emailed customer service two times, with the final email on November 30. I received an automated email stating that my case had been received, but I did not receive any follow-up communication. In utter frustration, I called our local Hertz office and the manager immediately remembered me, I updated her on the miscommunication and lack of communication for the corporate office, and she was very upset, and tried to reassure me that people use these gift vouchers all the time without complications. She told me next time to not make the reservation over the phone, but to come to her. I told her that I was at my wit’s end and that if she could give me a copy of my receipt because I might be forced to dispute the charge with my bank if Hertz didn’t resolve the matter. She emailed me my receipt that showed the vouchers and my total due of 91.07.

I emailed customer service at Hertz one more time, sending them this receipt, a picture of the vouchers that I turned into Hertz local office and the previous email, asking for this to be resolved or I would be forced to dispute with my bank. I received no response, so I called my bank Chase. They told me that I just needed to show my communication with Hertz and my receipt. I sent them copies of everything, emails, the receipt, etc. The dispute was resolved, and Chase credited my account. So, I was surprised to receive another invoice from Hertz in the mail, after the dispute with my bank. I thought for sure someone at Hertz would have researched my case, read my emails, etc.

Hertz took my $400 worth of purchased gift vouchers, and now expects me to pay another 310.55? Pay almost double the cost of my rental??? I have been dealing with this problem since October. Hertz now has sicked a creditor company on me. Surprised that this is still continuing, I called the debt collector to see how I could send all of my documentation - Hertz receipt showing vouchers were used, Copy of Vouchers, Reservation confirmation, Copies of Communication via fax and email with Hertz, etc.

The debt collector was so rude and would not even let me explain the situation. He just cut me off and said that Hertz told him that my vouchers were not worth anything?! I really am floored by this whole situation. We will never purchase vouchers from Hertz again. I work for a big 4 international accounting firm, and I know there are many other big companies that allow you to use bonuses and reward money to purchase vouchers from vendors such as Hertz. DON'T DO IT! DON'T USE HERTZ PERIOD! This has been a continuous nightmare.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Due to a mishap with our airline, we missed out flight and had to change the dates for our rental car in Tulsa, OK. It was already prepaid (for convenience they said). I thought it was deal at $186.12 for 4 days. They would not change it without charging $100 so the customer service rep (in India BTW) waived that and said I'd be refunded IF I was going to rebook. I, of course, still needed a car, just a few days later (Saturday to Wed, instead of Wed to Saturday). The refund was a different dept and would not occur until a few days later. In the meantime the rep said it would be $386 for the rebook. That's $200 more for 2 days? It's a Jetta, not a Jaguar! He said it depends upon the day. I didn't even have that on my credit card because they (and Frontier Airlines) already took my money.

I was stuck at this point. I told him to cancel it and rob me of my $100 and refund the remainder and promptly hung up because he could not cancel it. I had to go on the website and AGREE to be charged $100 in order to cancel it or I'd lose the whole amount due to "no show". I am fighting it because I have still not received a partial refund. I was canceling due to my missed flight, sure, but I was rebooking and felt should l have gotten a full credit. What a racket. Worse? The rep told me since I was using a Debit card, they should NOT have charged me the full amount, they only do that with credit cards.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I was in a car accident. Not my fault. Their insurance was State Farm. They rented me a car from Hertz in Hopkinsville, Ky. I was told I could go pick up any time it would be ready. I arrived to a empty desk inside one of our hotels. After calling the young lady on the phone said she was out to lunch. I went back to work where she picked me up an hour later. We went over car and I had to give my credit card for the gas is what I was told. After returning the car to an empty desk two days later I had a 168.00 charge to my credit card. When I called she said it was a smoking fee (I Did Not Smoke In the Car). After calling customer service and making a complaint they told me someone would get back to me within 24 to 48 hours.

I waited 4 days and called back. After an hour phone call and on hold most of the time. I was told it was a cleanup fee due to the fact they had to detail the car. I had it for five days. It was as clean as the day I got it. I did however tell the young lady on the phone the first day when I was telling her I did not smoke in her car, that I cleaned out my old car and had a smokeless ashtray in it. She changed the charge and used that statement to charge a cleanup fee. She knew I smoked and thought I would have smoked in the car so she just charged the fee thinking I would just go along with it. When I did not she change it to a cleanup fee and used my own words against me. I lost a car to the wreck and then got 150.00 take away for nothing. Watch their fees close.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My husband and I had a very upsetting experience at a Hertz agency. An employee shamelessly lied to us and included an option even though we did not want it ("We shall credit you should you wish to fill up the tank before returning your rental car”.) This did not happen. I complained several times; we only received a standard apology. Hertz obviously has no problems with lying employees. We did not get reimbursed. We shared our experience with business partners, friends, family and now with you. We certainly will not rent from Hertz again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have been a Gold Member for many, many years. This company used to be outstanding on service, but no more. I have had two separate incidents over the past year where I was required to enlist the "assistance" of customer service. If you can reach someone, they struggle with the English language, have no flexibility and don't understand the "policies" they are implementing. After dozens and dozens of cars rented, I am dropping Hertz. Find a rental company that cares, because it treats their best customers like trash.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I rented a dream car more than two weeks ago to take my daughter to the prom. I was on my way there and was sent an email that my car was not available and they were going to charge me the same price for a Nissan Armando. We rent from here monthly. So now we have no car for prom. What is the purpose of the dream car rental?? Also I rented a 4wd at Christmas and was told 15 mins before it was a 2wd and we were going on Christmas vacation and needed a 4wd. Unacceptable!!!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Rented car in Munich Germany. Found damage on car next day. Contacted Hertz and completed damage report on returning car. Filed claim with my credit card company shortly after. Hertz sent 3 letters demanding payment in next 30 days with no details of how they arrived at damage amount. I called Hertz and got case numbers for assistance in November and January. Called and wrote Hertz in Germany three times. Received no reply. Now months later and they put account in for collection. Still refusing to provide documentation needed for insurance claim. My company will go elsewhere on future car rentals.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am a gold member, but I guess that doesn't really mean anything? This place does not deserve even 1 star, 3 incidents in 1 day. Went to Albany airport to exchange the car because the car they gave me in Albany from Lodge St. smelled horrible. Once I reached the Albany airport to exchanged the vehicle I was treated bad by a gentleman name MIKE. I told him I need to exchange the car and he asked me if I had a agreement on me, I told him it's in the car and he said "I need to have that on me all the time because if I get pulled over I can be detained." Really? Is this how you talk to customer? Then he advised me to go to a garage and pick up the car. I saw cars parked so I decided to park behind other cars, my car was the second one.

Once again MIKE approached me and said "this is not a parking place, move the car." I told him if he can just watch his tone which was loud and rude, and instead of apologizing to me he said "Well it's common sense that you shouldn't park your car there." This is how Hertz treat their customers. I called to complain 4 times and requested if the manager can call me back, and here I am still no calls yet. It's been a day. Clearly there is no such thing as customer service, extremely rude. Out of 4 customers Mike decided to come up to me and tell me I have no common sense. I told him I do not like his approach and all he said was "I do not care." It's unfortunate that I had to go through this.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We are Gold members and rented a vehicle from them. They 1st gave us a vehicle with only 1/4 tank of gas. When brought to their attention they said, "Take a picture of the dash and when you get the bill just submit your receipts for reimbursement." They already had delayed us by not having the vehicle ready on time so we took the vehicle and left. We refilled the tank and returned it full after again taking a picture of the dash. They then proceeded to charge us for returning it empty. After protest they refunded the secondary charge but refuse to even discuss that they gave the car to us with a 1/4 tank of gas.

We have taken this to customer service who just keeps repeating that the issue was resolved without understanding that there were TWO issues independent of each other. The only recourse they will give us is an email address to send a message to so that someone can AGAIN not understand the problem. Why pay a premium price for crappy service, isn't the service why we should give our repeat business to you vs a discount car company? Shame on you Hertz.

Original review: April 17, 2018

June-July, 2017. I rented a car from a Hertz place in New Hampshire. The people that own the Hertz rental place were wonderful, very good with paperwork, etc. ??? They checked the car out when I left and when I arrived. I was a Hertz Gold member. About 2 months after returning the car I was informed that I was no longer able to rent from Hertz because someone was driving the rental car instead of myself and was in an accident or broke the law somehow. They gave me her name, I've never heard of this person. There was a serious mistake, someone, police?, wrote the wrong number down.

I called the rental place, they said the same thing, that the wrong number or license plate or car ID or something happened. I called Hertz and their collection agency, ESIS?? And was told everything was ok, there had been a mix up. Last week (April, 2018) I received a letter from Hertz that I would not be able to rent a car from them. I was on the no-rent list!!! I called Hertz, I called the ESIS(?) people - **, a man, and he remembered me from when it was "closed" last year!!!

What the heck is this baloney? I can't believe I'm going through this AGAIN. I have to rent cars from time to time. I have excellent credit and would never do anything to jeopardize it. What are they trying to pull? I have called Hertz at ** and they refer me back to the Esis number. The same man I spoke with last year admitted that it was a number mix up but never sent that information back to Hertz. Now he will not return my calls. What the heck is going on with Hertz? Can't they admit they made a mistake? Even the guy I rented the Hertz car from last summer called them during the first go-round. HELP, please. Car renters beware of Hertz.

Original review: April 16, 2018

No one from the Hertz desk wanted to come out to check the car upon return, but a week later we were charged 50 dollars extra for supposedly not having filled the tank. When we submitting a receipt (from just before returning car) from a gas station 800 meters from the agency we were then told they had managed to put in another 5 liters of gas and stated in writing: "From automatic shut-off, you can refill another 5-10 liters of fuel before the tank is completely full". When we pointed out that the Volvo handbook for the car specifically warns "Do not overfill the tank but fill until the pump nozzle cuts out" and asked if Hertz demands that all renters ignore this explicit warning - at that point Hertz Denmark stopped responding.

We then contacted Hertz worldwide customer service which made no comment on the overfilling question but instead stated that since the Copenhagen airport "is a Licensee location I am unable to make an adjustment to the rental", referring to the issue of the 50 dollar refueling fee. At that point we wrote once again pointing out that our main question was if Hertz stands behind the Hertz Copenhagen policy that renters are required to overfill tanks - something that should interest and come as an unpleasant surprise to Hertz renters worldwide. Once again Hertz did not comment on the issue but offered a 75 dollar credit on a future rental which they apparently will send in the mail.

THE TAKEAWAY: In the future if no one is available to check our rental car when returning it, we will take photos not only of the condition of the car but ALSO OF THE GAS GAUGE SHOWING FULL. This was definitely not something we expected to have to do with Hertz, from whom we have rented in various countries in the past. Note: all documentation available upon request.

Original review: April 16, 2018

If you ever need to rent a car from Rome FCO never do with Hertz. I had a valid license and a valid credit card. I renewed my license via an Italian Embassy and they said they could not issue the sticker proving it was renewed. They assured me that in a technological word it was not necessary. The staff of Hertz in Rome did not make any effort at all in trying and phone one of this free of charge number to check that my license was valid and they just refused to give me the car. I had a copy of the renewal given by the Embassy and I have been renting for 13 years using Hertz. They left me with 4 pieces of heavy luggage and not equipped for winter going to find a train home. I was kind and polite and I find their behaviour very rude and absolutely not guest oriented. Shame... Hertz in Rome for me... NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My worst experience of renting a car for 40 years, they double charged me. They said my total was $271, but then charge me $299 on top of it even if they told me that I would not pay more than $ 271, so they took $570 altogether out of my account. Compare this to Thrifty Car Rental rental car for same amount of days over Christmas for only $57, I am just warning you do not rent car from this company. And that was for economy car for 5 days at International Airport in Orlando, do not trust the managers there.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Car accident. My 2017 Toyota Rav 4 was wrecked. Not my fault. The guy's car insurance (Farmer's Insurance) says I have to go through Hertz. The Hertz man who picked me up at my house (since I have no car) was a smoker... his car was smelly and his nasty car had actually had been crushed in the fender from his own accident. He was 30 minutes late. He drives me to get my rental car... something comparable to my own car. There they give me “the only car they have on the lot) a 2016 Ford Festival (a toy car) with 37,000 miles that smelled worse than the guy who drive me there.

My bicycle has bigger tires. No way am I driving this in the highway. I’m so upset. I don’t want to get into this watt car as it is like sleeping in a cheap fleabag motel bed. I called to complain and they said I could drive 25 miles back there (one way) to get a mid size car or SUV “if they get one back tomorrow”... I’m sure that also smells bad. Farmer's Insurance said I can get a car through “Enterprise” ... but I’d need my own ride to get there. Ugh. I’m more shook up and disgusted with this nasty stinky toy car and ** service than the damn car accident itself.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Well like a lot of people insurance company made me go to Hertz. I made the appointment to pick up car as they would not do a pickup. Called the day before to confirm car. Was told, "No problem. Everything will be ready". Dropped off car at body shop for repair. Went to pick up rental. One guy there acted at first like he didn't know who we were, then said, "I will have to call for a car. Will be 45 minutes to an hour." What??? We reserved a car and there isn't even one here? What the hell. We have jobs to go to, had to work this out with both wife and I to do this because you wouldn't pick us up at body shop and now no car? We walked out. Called Enterprise. They took car to wife's work. What a joke Hertz is. Never again.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I have been renting from Hertz for several years. I am Hertz Gold member, and I rented vehicle for week, and returned vehicle with full tank of fuel. I received my bill, and I was charged for fuel. I called Hertz and was told that I need to provide a receipt for the fuel, and the person at the return does not check for fuel. Obviously I am not happy, as I am paying over $90 for tank of gas, and vehicle was full. I call this stealing. I'm not happy with this, as I have been a big advocate for Hertz in the past. Seems like they have a system in place to take money from their customers, instead of keeping their current clients happy.

Original review: March 30, 2018

After picking up the car in Georgia I spent the night in a hotel about 5 miles away from the pick up point and headed to Florida the next morning. The car was very difficult to drive as it was going in and out of the lane while I was holding the steering wheel straight. I thought the wind must really be kicking but after a while noticed no trees were moving and other cars didn't have a problem... people were honking at me... I called to try and return/exchange the car and they said no problem... was already near my 1st destination which was Daytona beach. I went to the airport and not a single car they would give me. I went 5 days of my stay there. No one was willing to give me a different car as all that was available would be in a different price bracket. I informed them I would be driving the vehicle over 1000 miles to get home to Maryland.

I actually said to the guy, "It's Hertz policy to send me out in a death machine other cars on the road are honking at rather than give me one of the cars you have here at the same rate?" After 30 seconds with nothing but a look like he was looking at a dead man apologizing for killing me but no words coming out. That's when I realized it was pointless to keep wasting time trying to exchange the car. Without being able to exchange it the trip took an extra day and I finally called someone to pick me up in VA as the horn honking people increased and I was scared the wheel was going to fly off or something.

I called on the phone to exchange it and they said I had to go in to a rental center. After going in multiple times and solving zero problems... all that was accomplished was wasting many hours of time which I really did not have. It really feels as though I was getting the runaround. The car actually made my upper body hurt as the wheel would jerk left and right and when pushing the brakes it would jerk in more directions than that. The slower the drive the less painful it was... in Daytona not a big deal as the fastest I was traveling was maybe 40-50 but on 95 it was vicious.

I got charged the extra day & change of location drop off point with ZERO remorse about the car issues... He didn't even do a walk around and it all makes sense how I got a damaged car in the first place. While in Florida I had to pick up and drop off several people and was asked multiple times "What's wrong with this car?" "Why can't you drive?", "Cars are honking at us." It was kind of embarrassing/upsetting to explain what was happening. "Look I'm holding the wheel straight, it's a rental." Every person said go exchange it and I had to say "I been trying. They are trying to charge me more." These were basically rides talking about how this can't be true and try again. Basically we were arguing at how unbelievable this whole experience was while it was happening. We are in Florida, its beautiful with alligators on the side of the road and all we are talking about possibly crashing. AHHHHH...

Calling the 800 number they told me to go into the rental office for help. The office told me to call the 800 number... no one inspected the car on drop off... Just looked out the window to make sure there was a car there and rung up the receipt for more than $150 than originally quoted for being a day late for not being able to drive over 50 mph and not being able to make it the whole way home. Talking to him was worthless... Emailed my complaint and was offered $200 certificate. Thank you for the certificate offer. The amount of time I wasted begging to get the car replaced cost me over $200 while increasing the workload per day and not being able to turn my head to the left from the pain this car put me in. I normally rent from Enterprise but this Hertz car was cheaper... in the future will pay a premium for Enterprise's customer service and safety.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Charged me 229 for tollway usage. Did not inform me any charge for toll wage usage and no receipt or notification for the charge! Service fee is too high! Customer service won't pick up my call. Attitude is aggressive.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I rented a Hertz car at the New Orleans airport for a couple of days in January, 2018. It was a great trip, we had fun and the car was perfect. All that came to a crashing end when we returned the vehicle to the airport. The place where we were to return the car looked like a two storey parking garage. Hertz was on the second level. I drove up the exterior ramp slowly since I had no idea where I was going. In the process of going up this ramp you roll over some of those claw like things that you infrequently see that keep people from stealing vehicles. As I slowly went over the claws they punched a hole in the tire. The check-in crew wanted me to pay $40.00 for the tire and I refused. Today, 3 months later, a Hertz representative calls to say if I don't pay $90.00, they will put me in a collection agency. I'm writing to say do not rent from Hertz at the New Orleans airport. You also might end up being charged for a flat tire.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information