1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2179 Hertz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Dalmane was a ** male that actually asked my boyfriend for his credit card after Hertz tried taking $500 from mine. Dalmane did not go over the reservation. I had to tell this Hertz clerk at Laguardia that he was out of line and to watch his mouth. Hertz is for businessmen abusing company credit cards. Chris the supervisor then told me that If you swipe the card and funds aren't available... Hertz will then consider card stolen or fraud. Dalmane will flirt with your man in your face while switching around like Halle Berry. I spent an hour in Hertz. I went to ALAMO CAR RENTAL and Mercy had me out in ten minutes. I vowed once, while home on leave from the Army back in the 1980's that I'd never rent from Hertz again. They are racially biased. Go Alamo... Great service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Hired a car from Hertz Oct18 for 35 days shown on summary with estimate of cost. After returning car my credit card was invoiced 30% more than the estimate. Found they had charged 5 days over their monthly business pr@ctice at a ripoff price. Making day rate for five days 100% more than day rate for 30 days. So never, never, never hire for longer than 30 days. They charged same rate for a child seat for both 30 days and then again for 5 days - rip off. Will never, never, ever use Hertz again and will tell all my friends. I gave them every chance address my feelings - they said NO.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The Hertz staff member (the ** woman) and the Hertz manager (the ** man) in this pep boys location verbally and physically threatened me at the time of returning the vehicle. In addition to that, the ** manager at Hertz in this location refused to prorate my rental. He clearly said, that's not what their policy is. When the executive team of Hertz contacted the Hertz manager in this location, the manager told (lied) the executive team of Hertz that he has prorated my rent. I finally managed to get my money back from Hertz headquarters but that does not negate the fact that this Hertz location extorts money from people (customers). There is no difference in activities between this Hertz location and gangsters.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

We are writing today to complain about the poor service we received from your company on October 26, 2018. We rented a car through Expedia from Hertz. Mr. ** and Ms. Marinello, We arrived at the Savannah airport at 8:30 AM on Friday, October 26, to pick up our rental car. Reservation number **, Mid-size, Jetta or comparable. Only to find out that the rental was for the Hertz on 8404 Abercorn Savannah GA and not at the airport. We asked if this could be changed to pick up at the airport. No was the answer, as we would have to go through Expedia and the airport was fully booked. Therefore, we took Uber to the other Hertz location. $30+ tip. Walking in with not even a hello, but I did notice a huge cockroach smashed into the carpet. We waited patiently for help. When they did get around to helping us, we provided our reservation number, to which his response was “we have no cars available.”

At this point, I said, “this cannot happen. It's Hertz and we have a reservation, on top of this, my daughter is getting married and I have to be there in an hour,” and of course, we ended up being late. The service agent then condescendingly stated, “We will have you a car in 40 minutes, but they would have to send someone to go pick it up.” He continued, “You will get your pictures, smiles, and food,” that last part was unnecessary. He then walked away saying “you should sit down.” True to his word 40 minutes later, we had a car! Late we were going to be but we had no other options.

Even with the car at the location it still needed to be cleaned before we could have it, after cleaning, we were given the keys. The attendant was taking pictures of the scratches and dents, asked us if we wanted them emailed to us. We replied yes of course we do. We gave our email to the attendant and to this day, we have not received one picture. Before we left I found some earrings and trash in the trunk. I gave it to the attendant. The car was disgusting, dirty and smelled to high heavens (the brand new little tree did not cover it up.)

I have provided pictures, showing the dirty condition and items we found in the car. Another earring, a toothbrush, baby wipes, a blouse, paperwork for father’s day and food items. I think they rented us someone’s personal car or something off a Hertz resell lot; it had 44k miles on it. Please review the pictures, as there is leftover food in the window controllers and food in the center consul. The driver’s seat discolored and stained, I have to sit in that.

Have you ever heard of Rent a Wreck? This is what I pictured their rentals to be like. This was a 4-day rental, on day 2 we attempted to call Hertz customer service to arrange to return the car to the airport and avoid the rude people at 8404 Abercorn. Only to be told there was no record of us renting anything from Hertz. We gave them numbers off the keys, contract and Expedia information. NOTHING Day 3 we called again no help. I did inform the phone agent I was returning this car to the airport; she said that would be fine. In all we spent over 3 hours on the phone, mostly waiting on hold, with Hertz.

A few things that you should know we are not big renters of cars, 3 to 4 times a year but when we do rent, it is usually with Hertz, gold card member. We are out our time…At least 5 hours running around. We are out $232.00 for the rental fee, not for a nice low mileage Jetta type vehicle. $30 plus a $5 tip for UBER. I am not sure if you would care to reach out to us, I will provide email and phone. I would love a follow-up call. I was under the impression someone would be calling us. Since I have not heard I have decided to write you. On a good note, Kathrine at the airport was an amazing representation of when your company is on point! Please let her know how much she made our return pleasant. Hats off to her.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

For $8.04 in tolls they sent me a bill from “PLATE PASS” for $37.74. Florida does not have toll booths. It’s either billed by Sunpass or TAG #. I will not be paying these outrageous charges. I will not rent from Hertz again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We rented a car for a week from Hertz for our Maui vacation. The cost was 247.51 for the week. We ended up needing to extend a day. Our contract stated late returns may be subject to extra day charge. Our daily rate was 35.18 we but when we called to let Hertz know we would be bringing the car back a day late they stated would charge us 470 dollars more for that extra day! How can they charge you almost double what you paid for the week for one single day! Of course we are not going to pay that. How can they justify that? We now have to drive to the airport, return the car, and rent another car (same make and model) for the day to keep from being charged this horrific fee. We have been gold plus members of Hertz for a long time, guess that doesn’t count for much of anything.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. I rented a dream car for my wedding day and went to go pick up on the day of my wedding and was told that this car was already given away days before. I had made the reservation 5 MONTHS in advance. The customer service was unapologetic and didn't do anything to help me. "All we can do is cancel your reservation." I was devastated. Will NEVER rent from Hertz EVER... I would never recommend anyone to rent from Hertz.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Hired a car in Croatia for a week from Hertz. I have had bad experiences with car hire companies before so I used Hertz as I assumed they were reputable. I was wrong. On returning the car, the driver wallet was missing for which they said the charge was €50. This item was later recovered. However they deducted €130 from my credit card and I can get no explanation from them by telephone (no answer) or email. At the airport (Pula) I was told there would be no charges, even for the wallet. The tank was full, no damage. I got one explanation for a €25 deduction for "out of hours return". They are open 24 hours a day. They are no better than the real gutter companies like Goldcar.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When I returned my rental car there were miscellaneous charges + 20% tax which the clerk could not explain and charged directly to my credit card of course. In a hurry to catch a train, I was told a manager would call and explain - didn't happen. I have asked Hertz to supply an account of all charges but a month later just received another copy of my final receipt. On top of that I received a parking ticket from Hertz (supposedly incurred in Manchester) for 102 GBP (60 + 43 admin fee) for an infraction that could not have happened - no time or exact location noted.

I drove the car off the rental lot at Manchester Airport directly to Newcastle and was never back in Manchester! Again I have asked for details and an explanation and told I will be contacted by issuing entity. I can't wait to hear where I was parked! A word of advice - before you drive away with your rented car, at least make sure you know about all possible charges and what the total cost of your rental will be - in writing. There seems to be no way to protect your credit card from extra charges.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

MEGA (Make Extortion Great Again) Hertz. (I will) never rent from Hertz (or "Thrifty," with whom I rented a car in Dublin, then found it has been consumed by Hertz in Ireland), where I was conned into buying "insurance coverage" (instead of what I already "had" with Mastercard), with a $2,000 deductible in case of an accident. On our two week trip, I hit a pothole and got a tiny chip and a few scratches on front bumper (shown on return on Hertz pics, with no damage on other pics to the rest of the car). For which they, a month after, "charged" me the max $2,000, not only to fix the bumper chip, but also to repaint other parts of the car, including undamaged door handles.

Both Capital One (what's in your wallet? we'll take it) and Mastercard (with whom I have/had auto rental insurance), after I submitted documentation and Hertz's photo "evidence" of the damage, and two months of phone appeals and exchanges denied my appeal and nailed me for the full 2K extortion. So I will never get Hertz again, will zap my Capital (Punishment) One, and discard my Mastercard.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Upon arriving in Boston, I went to Hertz to pick up the car that I had reserved. To my surprise, there were no cars in the lot, at all. None, in any category. I was told that they would be sending down cars shortly. I was told to wait in line, with the other 25 people ahead of me. After waiting over 30 minutes, and only two cars being brought to the renters, I asked the attendant on duty when we could expect more cars. He said that he did not know as they were in the process of being cleaned and he could not provide me with a timeline. I waited another 15 minutes, and no other cars arrived.

I then went to another car rental company and was able to secure a car for my business trip. This whole incident was totally unacceptable. I had a reservation and was expecting a car to be available. This is no way, to do business, in my opinion. I reached out to them and their answer was to say that they are sorry and that, "Though you hold a reservation there may not be a car available." They offered me a measly 100 points to make up for my dissatisfaction. Terrible customer service as well as a terrible company to do business with.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

State Farm Insurance made a reservation for me at the following location: Chicago - Sheffield HLE 3130 North Sheffield Chicago, Illinois 60657 United States. The employee scanned my credit card, but the employee was unable to give me a receipt. She did not give me a reason that a receipt could not be printed but asked if it was acceptable if I was emailed a receipt. I agreed, but I never received an emailed receipt. Tonight Citibank (the bank of the card that I used) contacted me regarding a fraudulent charge at Footlocker for $249.66. I am not accusing the employee of wrongdoing, I am simply submitting this in the event anyone notices a pattern of reports.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Let me start by saying I have used Hertz for over 30 years and always felt they provided good service and cars for what you paid. I booked with Hertz through their website a rental when I was going on a trip to Ireland with the family. I booked a van, expected 5 from our family to go. We took the red-eye into Dublin and when we got to the counter I explained one of the family stayed behind. I asked about getting an SUV instead of the large van, I said I understood if they couldn't and if the SUV had to be comparable price I was okay as I just didn't want the large van. I was told they could do it for less! I agreed. I scanned the document and the amount under the total of 8 costs (between insurance and taxes) appeared to be lower.

When I went to return the car in Shannon I was told there was an additional cost for the SUV (related to a luxury class) and the price was much higher. When they reviewed what I signed they pointed out the number below the line was a deposit. I explained I was told this would cost less. Over the next several weeks I received bad information, was told that Hertz Ireland was privately licensed, and basically have been given the runaround. Insult to injury, when the final bill came in it appears they used a much higher conversion rate so I even paid more. Can't get anyone to address my problem.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I will NOT recommend Hertz to anyone. Our first and only time using them. I booked online and did the prepay to save a little money. My fault that I didn't read every single line, but the Hertz staff at the return site said I would get reimbursed for the full day that I turned the car in early. Upon returning home I contacted the toll free customer service #. That person said when you prepay there is no refund for the early return. I said I wasn't aware of that and the staff said I would be refunded. I have names, dates and times of the call. This person was very kind. Asked me to hold the line while she spoke with a manager. Came back and said that since I was told that I would be refunded they would refund $112.95 this time.

2 weeks later it still isn't on my card. I call again. Wow!!! The 2 people I spoke with today were reading script. Word for word and said no I would not receive a refund. They will send me a "voucher" for $50 to use toward a future rental. I told them not to bother as I have no trips planned and I will NOT be using Hertz again. That they do not even stand behind their staff and I was told a flat out LIE!!! The last person I spoke with today could barely speak understandable English and was supposedly a manager! Rude and still seeming to have to read from the same script the first person was reading from. Also, the additional fee for any other drivers isn't disclosed in plain sight either.

When picking the car up at the airport after a very long and tiring day of travel we were informed that should my husband want to drive we had to pay extra per day for him! That information should be asked when booking the vehicle! Hertz is nothing but a rip off. The car was ok but had absolutely NO "GO" when driving mountain roads or taking off from a stop or passing. I think they hide all these rules and fees knowing that no one reads every single tiny line. Then you are stuck! Find another rental company. Hertz has horrible customer service and do not even stand behind what their staff promise so you know they will not be of service to you the customer!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Hertz in Morristown, TN rented us a defective car (tires had slow leaks). I informed them at time of rental, but the agent refused to deal with it. Upon return in VA I was told everything was in order and no additional charges. Imagine my disappointment when I got home and checked my credit card only to discover that Hertz was charging additional fees. I called customer service; they promised to look into it. They never called me back. I called back one week later and was told by a manager that it was because I did additional mileage. Agent at rental location never told me I had limited mileage. (I understand they are supposed to do that. Car was booked online and booked as a one-way rental - I could not specify any mileage online).

Car rental receipt was inaccurate as it said I had a full tank. When I pointed that out to issuing agent, he said he would note it in the system. I had to ask him to write on my receipt by hand which he reluctantly did. (I had less than 3/4 a tank full). I pointed out to customer manager that I had to drive additional mileage to fill up tires four times during the one-day rental but manager ignored that. Be careful. Hertz charges you for their errors - online rental one way was subject to additional fees at time of return as issuing agent issued an incorrect document (gas level incorrect, distance incorrect, price incorrect) on a defective car (slow puncture in two tires). Go with another company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have to found the quality of cars at Hertz to be good. But the lines are often long and the desks are often understaffed. I rent often in Europe and I am usually very careful about all charges and costs, insurance etc... When I rent. But on a recent month long rental in the south of France I was surprised to get an additional $95 on my bill for an exchange rate conversion applied by Hertz. I rent often in Europe and always have my charges go thru as Euros. Like many people, I have a credit card that charges no exchange fees. I get the best currency exchange rate for that day (Capital One, it’s great). But Hertz decided to do the conversion and charge me the fee. All total an additional $95. First I called the customer service line. I was with them for 35 mins and got nowhere.

They were the most uninformed people you can imagine. They had no knowledge of how foreign travel charges work and even quoted completely wrong information. They said my recourse was to email the company. Which I did. The reply email states they will be back to you in 1-3 days. They did not. I wrote again and after about 6 days they wrote that I had agreed that these terms and that was that. They even misstated that it was the same as my credit card would have charged me. I really wish this company would stop giving this misinformation to people. It is false. So I wrote back and said they had not explained any of this and were hiding details in their contract.

I asked for full details of where, when and with whom I had done this and where was my signature to agree to this. Finally after all this they backed down and gave my card a $95 credit. But only after I spent all this time arguing with them. After I got my credit I wrote a very sincere email to the company about how underhanded this practice is. So, be very careful of the foreign contract. They have a very bad exchange and fee rate. If you have a credit card, like me, that does not charge for the exchange, insist that the charge go thru as Euros or whatever the country currency is.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We booked our car through Priceline.com. We paid for the insurance and the rental car fee. When we got to Hertz in Lanseria they said it wasn't paid for. We had no choice but to pay them again. Our credit card shows the charges for the two separate payments. I contacted Hertz to get a refund the response was "Elizabeth, I have checked your reservation was booked through one of our rental partners named Hertz. I am sorry for any inconvenience, however, you will need to call our partner directly for further assistance. Please call their phone number which is 1-800-654-3011." Just checked my credit card again and now there are more charges on it from Hertz. I will never use Hertz ever again. I thought they were suppose to be a good honest company, so sad.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had a confirmed reservation and price for a jeep. I showed up and they had one jeep with a cracked windshield and broken driver door. The reservation for 4 days was $430; they charged me $925 (double). This company lacks integrity!!! Never going back. FORMER CLUB GOLD member.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I rented the car for less than 24 hours, picked it up at Firenze, dropped it off at Rome. It was advertised that the price would be 49 euros. That is what I paid when I picked it up. The lady that provided the rental agreement at the counter asked me if I wanted to fill up the gas before dropping it off in Rome or if they can do it for me for a ridiculous amount of money, like 3 times the amount it costs to fill up the gas. I said I would fill it up. She laughed and said, "OK." I didn't understand what that meant but didn't think much of it. She knew the are in Rome because she explained to me how hard it was to get there, to find the little garage door in between the skinny streets of Rome. When I was ready to drop it off, It took me around 2 hours to find the ONLY gas pump in the whole area and it was broken.

THEN, I understand why that lady laughed at my thought of attempting to find a gas station around the area. WHY DIDN'T SHE SAY SOMETHING AND JUST LAUGHED? It was just after midnight, around 12:25 and I had to drop the car off at midnight. There was nobody at the drop off location (so nobody waiting for the car). At the end my bill was for 134 euros! SO like $180 for less than a day! And today, 4 months later, they attempted to charge my credit card again for an extra $35, for no reason. Stay away from Hertz! You have been warned. Oh! And customer service ignored my request to go over charges. They didn't even send me an updated bill until I requested it. Never again Hertz.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I rented from the Hertz at LAX back in September 2018, first the line was super long and there was only 2 employees working. Besides the price being extremely expensive for a minivan, my main issue was that I filled the car up to the top with gas on my credit card at a Arco station; less than a mile from the drop off at LAX. The car read full and when I went to return the car they said it was good. A few weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying that the car was missing 7.72 gallons of gas?? Then charged me 80.59 for it? I immediately called and they said to send proof of payment of gas, which I did and they ended up refunding me. However, this should NOT happen, especially from a company as large as Hertz. I will stick to Sixt from now on, never had this kind of issue with them even though I've used them several times.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have never rented from this company before and after the rude and unprofessionalism attitude their employees displayed, I will NEVER EVER attempt to rent or recommend the companies in Clinton or Jackson, Mississippi. The one in Clinton, MS was far the worst! The employee popped their mouth, smacked gum in my ear and was nonchalant about not having a vehicle that I had reserved the day before I was to arrive. He never called as promised. I had to constantly call for an update. Then had the audacity to act as if I was bothering him by asking him about my reservation and why wasn’t it being honored. The only thing I got was, “we don’t have any vehicles available”, and “we’re waiting for returns.” My first and last attempt to do business with this company!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am a AAA member, wanted to save some money on a rental car so I went to their website. I got what I thought was a good deal by paying up front. When I returned the car they added another 460 on my credit card. When I contacted customer care they said, "Too bad. There is nothing we are going to do about it," they turned a good trip into a bad trip. I believe they were a good company at one time that has gone bad.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Hertz was the only option at the ferry port in Holyhead. Car was ok although not as clean as I would have expected. Dropped the car off at Heathrow without refueling, and was charged approximately 4 times the price for a top up! And no acknowledgement that my card had been debited. After previous issues with hire car companies in the UK, I cancelled my card when I returned to Australia.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Reluctantly agreed to rent a car from Hertz. Car was dirty and smelled. Only two people working in office with phones, car rentals and returns etc. Was to given a discount on Fuel for being a AAA member. Discount was not given. No recourse. Read all the fine print, every last letter.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I booked a car in Rennes France through Auto Europe and paid in full while booking. Everything was good until I returned the car and was told at the reception that I need to pay for the rental again! The worker at the counter advised me to contact Auto Europe and her only answer to all my questions regarding my initial payment was "I don't know". Hertz already received money from me via my booking (she told me that herself) so the least the stuff working at the counter could KNOW is what I have already paid for! That was totally incompetent.

And how could it happen that I haven't paid for my rental beforehand? Why wasn't I told about it before the rental or offered to pay before? Furthermore, to my inquiries whether I am to expect some other hidden fees arriving on my credit card, she told me to come with her to check the car. She could have done it herself perfectly well, but she preferred to take me with her finding it funny I guess to see how it was difficult to me carrying 3 bags and a 20kg suitcase to go a long way to the parking lot and to climb the stairs. That is completely unacceptable as a service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

State Farm reserved a car rental to be picked up Saturday. Went to the rental office on Friday to confirm they had the information and that a car would be available to pick up Saturday at 10 AM. Was told there was no problem. Just come in. Got there on Saturday to find out no cars were available. Told me to go to another location. A little customer service would be to call the customer before they come to let them know there are no cars available. Wasn't enough time to go to another location close before they closed. Told them we would pick up Monday, said no problem would be there. No call from them and no car available on Monday, called State Farm and told them about the bad customer service. They were able to get me a car from Enterprise with no problem. Hertz customer service is BAD!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Attention my fellow car rentalists: If you find yourself ever in need of a rental car do yourself a favor and do not get one from Hertz. What they don't tell you is that they place a hold on your account of 200 extra dollars until you return the car. In my case the hold was 2 extra charges in excess of 760 dollars. I've spent the first 2 hours of my day journeying through call and after call to various places within their corporation to try and get this fixed, but of course no one could help me.

Everyone I called apologized for not being able to help, but then directed me to someone else. So I gave our friends at Navy Fed a call, they said there is indeed a way to help, all they have to do is send a letter saying it was a mistake. Hertz car rental refused to do this, rather rudely I might add. (Veronica and Jason I'm looking at you here.) I was told that my hold be released at midnight the day I returned it, didn't happen. Then I was told 1-2 business days. Didn't happen. Now I'm up to 3-5 and still waiting. Customer service should be the lifeblood of any company which is clearly not the case with Hertz. So do yourself a favor folks and tell everyone you know of my tale of woe so other may avoid the same fate. #neverrentingagainfromHertz.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

This review is to warn those visiting the Dominican Republic to stay away from the Hertz Rental Desk at the Santiago International Airport (STI). First, the staff appeared unqualified to manage rental transactions and businesses, and also they were uninformed and lacking soft skills. My reservation quote did not match what I had on paper, then they would not accept any other type of insurance if not purchased through their desk. Of course, at this point, what can you do? So you look over their offers, and as I suspected, they were overpriced and exceeding the price of the car rental fee plus taxes. But again, what can you do when you need a car to travel to another city? So, I accepted the best insurance that would cover everything since I know that in Dominican Republic people don't abide to traffic policies and rules and 85% of drivers don't even have insurance or their vehicles are not up to code.

Anyways, after this whole 40 minutes negotiation process has ended, I go ahead to inspect the car and what a shock it was. This car was nothing like I saw online or thought I would get. It was dirty, unkempt, scratched all over the paint, marks of duct tapes on windows and windshield, scratches all over the interior black plastic parts, back seat stained, steering wheel material was peeling off, front bumper shield hanging from the left, front wipers not cleaning properly, and lastly stains of black tar on the entire left side of the car. When asked to the Hertz inspector to these condition and type of car, his response "Well, this is what you rented." To end this review, I paid a bit over US$350.00 total for a green Suzuki S-Cross rented for a total of 72 hours. The original prices quoted with insurance US$144.61 for a Hyundai Tucson.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Hertz charged us 40 euros for "scuffed floor mats" and for hoovering a smattering of sand along with the dust they would have hoovered anyway. When we returned the car, they inspected it and said it was fine ("there's no damage, so no charge"), but hours later, on the way home, we received an email informing us that they would be taking 40 euros extra "to cover damage". From other comments, it would seem that this sting in the tail is a matter of policy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Rented a vehicle from the ATL airport. Went to one counter, they didn’t help and sent me to outside to find my name on a board. My name wasn’t there so I had to go to another counter. She checked my reservation and said, "Ok go to that row and grab a vehicle." Talk about hands off service. I thought being a Gold member I would get better treatment but it seems if you're a member the experience is worse. I picked a vehicle and drove to my hotel which was almost 2 hrs away. After my drive I realize there are cigarette burns in the ceiling, a piece missing from the door, and a busted driver's side door handle (the same panel with the door locks and window controls is about to fall off). I have been trying to swap my vehicle for the past 2 weeks at a local place in Macon, GA. First time I was told the system was down with zero offers to follow up. Second time I was told they did not have any vehicles and to check back. Once again, no customer service.

Third time I stopped in and was told again they have no vehicles even though they told me the day before they will have a bunch of returns for me. Finally they took my phone number and said they will call me Monday when they get a return. This was from a guy in the back because the girl up front just stared at me with an attitude offering no assistance. I travel for work ALL the time and constantly rent vehicles. This is the worst experience I’ve ever had and worst vehicle I’ve ever received. Never renting with Hertz again. I will also file a report to the government and Military travel office about the treatment Military receives when renting from this company.

Hertz expert review by Lauren Fix

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.

• Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.

• Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.

• Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.

• Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.

• Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Hertz Company Information