Hertz

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

What a horrendous customer care experience! Apparently loyalty to Hertz is worthless. Therefore I will no longer use Hertz nor will I participate in their loyalty program. I am a GOLD member and have never had any prior requests or special needs. I really only needed to cancel a rental... more than 24 hours ahead. This should NOT be an issue with a reputable company and a (previously) loyal customer. Very disappointing!

Had a billing issue which they would not find a solution for. The excuse I got was the new manager and new area manager just started and could not verify what happened. I was promised the area manager would call back and talk to me on many occasions, but he never called. Never had a bad experience with Enterprise and that is who I will use in the future.

I rented cars in different countries, even in the US and when I rented a car from Hertz in Bradenton, Florida I noticed that this company was the worst ever... My friends, please do not rent from this company, otherwise, you will experience "a nightmare". They do everything not to satisfy a customer. Their policies are targeted to make maximum profit for the company and minimum inconvenience for customers. You will spend hours to pick up or return a car standing up in the small office.

Please, select another car rental and you will save yourselves a headache, money and time. It's so frustrating when you go through with the Hertz company from a late pickup, waiting to pick up a vehicle in the line, waiting again when they wash and clean the car for you, paying high dollars for poor services. Most likely you will get a car with damages and scratches with zero gas in it.

The customer service is just revolting and no one cares in that company and they just ask you how is a car at the end of your trip. Moreover, when you return a car with full or 3/4 gas tank, they will not reimburse the money and even do not say thank you for the gas as a gift. They talk to you like you owe them money and they sound like they hate their jobs and take it out of the customers. Do not call them because they do not pick up the phone. If you tell them about your nonsatisfaction, they say, "If you do not like it, go away through the door." This was my first and very last time when I rent from this guys and I always say people stay away from Hertz.

I had a PAID IN ADVANCE rental reservation (and prepaid insurance) with Hertz through Hotwire, for a 4 hour car rental during a 5-1/2 layover in San Francisco. Racing to get to Hertz knowing that I had very limited time, when I went to pick up the car, I was told my credit card was declined (even though Hotwire confirmed that the rental had been paid for one week in advance). When I questioned them, the representative very loudly announced that the card was declined was because Hertz wanted an outrageous security deposit hold on my credit card, which took the card over my available credit limit. I ran right upstairs to Alamo, used their self-serve kiosk, inserted my credit card and driver's license and picked up my car in less than 10 minutes! All for a $45 charge on my credit card AND no outrageous security deposit hold.

I rented a car online from this company and made the HUGE mistake of prepaying for it. My husband needed body work done so we needed to rent for at least a week. I was happy with the price. I made the reservation in my husband's name since he was the driver. I used a credit card which is in both our names. We only had to pay the taxes when we picked up the vehicle, so our plan was to pay with our debit card. At the rental office, we provided the confirmation documents from the internet, my husband's license and then we were told that we could not have the vehicle unless we produced the card that the vehicle was rented with. I tried to give them my card, but they would not accept since my husband's name was not on it and of course he did not have his card. They refused to give us the vehicle. We left and I cancelled the vehicle because this is a terrible way to treat people.

Hertz told me it would take at least 5 days to credit my account. When I checked my account, there were a couple of shocks. First of all, they charged my account an additional sale charge 2 days after I cancelled. Even though they credited that charge, with a "return", this was a tremendous concern. I found it ironic that they would not let us take possession of the car because we didn't have the credit card that they then felt justified in charging again, for what I don't know as we didn't receive anything from them except aggravation. The worst thing, was that they kept $100 of our hard earned money for absolutely nothing.

I tried to resolve the issue on my own by explaining that I would have taken the vehicle had we been allowed to and it was their refusal to let us take possession of the vehicle that led to our aggravation and subsequent cancellation. But I was basically told "too bad". They never would have been able to get their grubby mitts on our money had I not been foolish enough to attempt to save some time by renting online. I am continuing to pursue with my credit card company and AAA which I rented through as a member. This was a horrible experience that I wouldn't want anyone else to endure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

On my trip to Salt Lake City I rented a car through Priceline and unfortunately got stuck with Hertz. I saw their reviews were terrible and now understand why. I was first met with the expected sales pitch to upgrade because the picked car would somehow be inadequate. Then scammed to purchase gas at what I thought was reasonable at $2.35 a gallon that was on the counter sign. However, what was not on the counter sign was that I was actually agreeing to purchase an entire tankful of gas despite only needing less than a quarter.

I was told that an extra driver was only $13 which again seemed reasonable only to find out that the actual charge was $104 for 5 days including fees and taxes. In total my charges ended up nearly doubling my Priceline agreement. None of this is explained in detail as you are told to only "sign here" and hurry up. I called Hertz customer service and they told me I should have read the 11 page accompanied contract at the counter before I signed as it would have explained. I guarantee you that this process is a joke. There is no one who could stand at the counter and read that document. Unfortunately, I was scammed by Hertz's predatory and misleading practices so please learn from my experience and never rent from this company.

This company is the worst ever... do not rent from this company. Save yourself the headache. It's so sad what I am going through with the company from overcharging my car to receiving the worst car in the world after paying high dollars. The car couldn't even get me to my destination and they wouldn't even switch me out after reporting how bad the car drove. The customer service is just disgusting no one cares in that company and they talk to you as if they hate their jobs and take it out on the customers. This was my first and last time renting from this and I have to receive a phone call back from this company to resolve the 100 issues I have encountered with this company. SMH just rent from Enterprise. That's where I normally rent from anyways and have never had a issue!! Not to mention reviews I have put on their FB etc they continue deleting but I will keep posting every day to save another consumer from dealing with this mistreatment.

3 exits from the airport I filled the tank with as much fuel as I could get in there... pulling out the nozzle and really forcing in fuel until it was overflowing. At the return I took a photo of the fuel gauge and filled out my paperwork indicating that the car was FULL and that I had purchased gas. I was STILL charged over $19 including a "service charge" and $9.99 for a gallon of fuel that was NEVER put into the tank. When I sent in my receipt and the photo, I was refunded my $... but this keeps happening with Hertz and although I enjoy their "Gold" privileges, I do NOT enjoy that I have to check each bill so carefully. Since this has happened in other cities (Chicago, Cincinnati) I believe it is an "unwritten" Hertz policy and that the company is making money by overcharging for fuel, especially business customers who might not look at the bill their company is paying.

My husband went to the Huatulco Airport to confirm our Hertz rental car that we reserved online and paid for in advance. We were told to wait at an outside window where we stood in the hot sun. Finally we were told to come into the office. There we waited patiently. Several people came in after us and we're immediately waited on. My husband finally brought it to their attention but we're told to wait. They refused to help us even with a printed confirmation that was required online. I ask for the assistance name, he said to us WHY several times then gave us is name of "AREA PUBLICATION 31 DIC 18 Hux P484 AUXILIARY". We left and ended up canceling our car reservation. I will never rent a car from Hertz ever. The service was beyond horrible.

With my current experience, I literally had to create an account on what happened with me. So I booked a car through the Hertz website and was quoted $230 for 3 days. Perfect right? I go pick up the car, decline every sort of option available early in the morning, the agent barely does a run through with the paper work since it's 6am and I'm on my way. A few days later I'm charged over $130 in fees, turns out he slipped on the insurance. When I go to return the car, there is no agent in sight to help me, 30 minutes I go back and forth to find someone working and nothing. I end up calling the following day asking for the manager who is oddly enough never there.

Finally she calls me back and says it's going to be a hassle to go through all the paper work and that I should just bite the bullet since I signed the contract. At this point I'm absolutely livid on how they can be so deceiving. Why in God's name would I decline the insurance option online but all of a sudden change my mind in person? Everyone has car insurance. I have booked with Hertz before, but the location at the Montreal airport stay away.

We booked in Hertz.com near our home, was available for booking. Called a day before to confirm, they said this location is not available, it's a mistake on their online system so we need to call the morning of the reservation to get them to come pick us up. No way to get a hold of them, phone system loop. After an hour of trials we get an Uber to go there. Did not get a car. They just everything possible not to rent us a car. We left with no car and high blood pressure.

Complete rip-off. I recently rented a car in Australia. I was there for a student externship from the US. I booked the car for one month online before I left and prepaid about $650 for the rental period. Doing this is supposed to save you a significant amount of money. I planned on picking the car up and dropping it off at the Melbourne Airport. In my reservation confirmation email, I was told the rate was guaranteed and that it included location fees, admin. fees, recovery fees, and tax. I had no issue picking the car up. At the end of the rental period, I dropped the car off an hour or two early to catch my flight. Everything seemed to go smoothly and I had no concerns at the time.

Several days after I left, I found a charge on my credit card of about $1600! I tried several times to contact the company for an explanation of the charges. I finally got my receipt and found out they charged me twice, the second time at a standard rate plus over $600 in location fees, tax, etc. I finally got a response from customer service admitting they made a mistake and double charged me, having not seen that I prepaid. However, they said they would only refund the prepaid amount ($650) but would leave the $1600 charge. Apparently, my rate changed without my knowledge and they wouldn't give me the monthly discount or prepaid discount. They said they gave me the best rate possible for the rental period.

I contacted them again, absolutely appalled that they would change a rental rate after I already paid for it ahead of time! I was then told that because I didn't have the car for the entire rental period and returned it early by an hour or two, I was not eligible for the rate I prepaid. I can't find that stipulation anywhere in my rental agreement! I will be contacting a supervisor next to try to get this ridiculous charge credited back to my account. Stay away from Hertz!

I rented a car through Hotwire, the rental company came up HERTZ. Confirmed my car at airport Phoenix. I prepaid $249.48. All I needed to do was pick up car. Waited an hr. to get car then they said that car is not available. OK I must upgrade, "Ok how much will that be?" "$38.00." OK then as I was walking away I realized I was charged $307.50/$38.00 per day. I waited another 45 min to get it straight. They said I rented the car and agreed to pay the $307.50. I said, "What about the $249.48 I prepaid?" "SORRY that is your problem." I will never use HERTZ again. A total fraud and just try to find someone to take your complaint to.

Rented car for 5 months and am a part of vehicle recall for airbag. Dealer paid for rental until they get parts to repair. They made billing mistake by charging my card. I let them know two days after I saw it. It's been a month now and still not corrected. They told me to not worry about it. I spoke to a handful of employees and they all know me, but it's still not fixed. I called my credit card company to stop the charge. They wanted to charge me $933. I want to charge them $933 and tell them to not worry about it!!

On the day I was scheduled to pick up the rental car, the office staff was a few minutes late opening, but the young lady that assisted me was very nice and personable. The pickup experience went very smoothly. I was issued a Toyota Camry and it was a great choice for a 7.5 hour drive and return. The ride was smooth, it was roomy and comfortable, and great on gas. On the return date, again the office was a few minutes late opening, but again the checkout process went smoothly. It was conveniently close to my residence. I did not realize they were located so close, and it saved me a lot of time by not having to go all the way out to the airport. I plan to use their services again on my next trip. I highly recommend Hertz Rental Car.

On 2/10/17 @ 1330 hrs rented a QX30 from ORD Airport in Chicago. While returning the vehicle back the next day, I was pulled over by CPD and they pulled their guns out on me while I had my son and nephew in this rental vehicle. CPD informed me that the reason why I was pulled over was due to the license plates belonged to a 2016 Toyota Camry (Grey Color) and the vehicle I rented was an 2017 Infiniti QX30 Black. Do you know how frightened I was because I had two little boys in that car and they were crying and terrified. Hertz MOD informed me that the rental will be voided out when I returned the vehicle. That's it? What if that would've went further than that? I could've lost my life due to Hertz major mistake and not knowing that the vehicle license plates are not even registered to that QX30.

I too had a terrible experience with Hertz. I booked a car on Hotwire (being price-conscious), which was about $200 for 6 days. Great deal, right?! Until we got charged another $725 at the end of our trip! They tacked on a vehicle upgrade charge and a host of “Additional Products” that would have been more than sufficiently covered by our regular car insurance. Based on my experience, Hertz is like Jiffy Lube (at least how they were before legal action made them change their corporate practices)... pushing all the add-ons you don't need. If you're not paying attention, you'll likely be signed up for things that quadruple your original quoted price. When I called to discuss the additional charges, I was told they were being "kind" to credit me $143 (bringing the rate to $130/day, vs my originally booked rate of $20/day). Hertz buyer beware! I will certainly not be a customer of theirs again.

I had been a Gold Card Member for years but after our last international rental in Scotland and the lack of customer service we received both there and once we got home, I cut up my card and have not used them since. We broke down and not only could not get any assistance from Hertz at the time, I could not get anyone to engage with us once we came back and called the 800 # in the U.S. Frustrating and disappointing. I've spelled Hertz HURTS ever since. I expect a global company to provide customer service globally, they do not.

My wife and I rented a car at Hertz San Juan. Puerto Rico Airport for 10 days. We were informed that the cars there do not have GPS so we decided to take our personal GPS. We returned the car and forgot our personal GPS in the car's glove compartment. When we got home, we tried to call the telephone numbers listed in our agreement and the telephone received the call (of course an automatic message) and when we attempted to dial the extension for the different departments the machine said that that number was not a working number. It happened with every single number 4, 5 and 6. We decided to take the choice to wait for a representative and it went to the same recorded that this number is not a working number.

We tried the regional office and left several messages in different extensions and nobody contacted us. We tried the lost and found and there was not a space for PR. We tried to send a fax to report the issue, but found out that the fax number is not working also. Finally, my wife contacted her brother and asked him to go to the Hertz facilities at the airport to find out if the GPS was there and he was informed that the GPS was not there. Well the GPS vanished from the car. My wife asked her brother to request a working phone number where she could talk with a manager and he was given **, with the name of Rodney the Manager.

My wife call Mr. Rodney and the experience was that she was talking to a very rude person, who just told her that she left the device in the car and they were not responsible for those items. And also he told her to report the issue at the lost and found items. My wife tried to explain that we couldn't connect with this online space, but he did not listened. My recommendation is that if you are going on vacation to PR, do not rent a car at Hertz. The service is terrible, the employees are rude. If you forget something in your car, do not expect to recover it. Telephones are not working and if you try to call a manager you will have a very rude person on the other line.

I really like being a Gold member, walk right up to your car with the key inside when you arrive at the airport. If your flight was delayed, no problem - no standing in line for you, still go straight to your car. The checkout... you just need to TELL them you gassed up. Sometimes I've forgotten and then gotten billed for gas. Not cool.

BEWARE - DO NOT RENT FROM THIS LOCATION OR HERTZ IN GENERAL! On Saturday, 11/4/2016, my husband and I flew into the county airport at Grass Valley CA. We rented a car from the Hertz location there. The Hertz employee drove to the airport to pick me up and bring me back their office to sign the contract and pick up the car. We only wanted to rent the car for one day and their office was closed on Sunday, so the employee told me to return the car to the airport and leave the keys at the airport office. She entered the return date of 11/5/2016 and return time of 12:00pm on the rental car jacket. We did as we were told and left the car parked where the employee picked me up and left the keys with the airport office on Sunday 11/5. However, when I received my credit card statement a couple of weeks later, I was charged for a rental through 11/9/2016.

I called the Grass Valley Hertz office on 11/28/2016 and spoke with the manager who told me he would issue a credit for 4 extra days I was charged. Nothing happened. I called their office again on 12/8/2016 and spoke to the employee I rented the car from and told her about the overcharge. She said she would work with her manager to issue a refund. Nothing happened. I called the office again on 12/13 and spoke to the manager who again said he would issue a refund. Nothing happened.

I submitted a charge dispute with my credit card company and they came back with a letter from the Hertz Corporate Office stating the charge was valid and the charge would be reinstated. I called the Hertz Corporate Office myself today (2/6/2017) and explained the whole story and the person I talked to just restated that the charge was valid and there was nothing they were going to do about it. I told them this location had a lot of bad reviews on Yelp and they're creating bad press for Hertz but the Hertz rep couldn't have cared less. If I could give negative stars for this review, and for Hertz in general, I would. Hertz will NEVER get my business again.

If I could give a negative I would. I made a reservation over a week before a work trip and then less than 24 hours before I am suppose to pick rental up I all of a sudden have a bunch of new things that I have to do before I can pick it up. Nothing was mentioned to me a week ago, so now they won't refund me the $300 they took from me and I don't have a car for work this week. The refund won't be refunded for two weeks, which falls after the work trip is done and over. Never again will I use Hertz and I recommend staying as far away from them as possible.

Was provided a HERTZ rental after being rear ended in Denver. Dodge Journey. BRAKES FAILED. Filed report to Hertz. They required I have it towed to DIA and then charged me the tow and toll fees! Have police report stating I was cited for "DRIVING A FAULTY VEHICLE". Hertz insurer/risk management company ESIS was to provide the vehicle to be inspected by my insurance company. They would not return calls. I contacted Better Business Bureau. ESIS responded within 48 hrs & set up the inspection. The inspection report states front end damage had already been repaired & that the rental brakes were operating correctly.

Hertz had stalled in responding, fixed the car, THEN allowed my company to "Inspect" a repaired car! My insurance is not allowed to do anything further with the vehicle. They said I "can contact Hertz and request they have it taken to a Dodge dealership to have the recorder box checked to prove I tried to brake, but, it is up to Hertz to do it." If they repaired the rest I'm certain they have repaired any evidence of negligence on their part.

HERTZ supplied a faulty vehicle. And then made sure I had no way to prove it because they covered it up before allowing me access to the car. I drive the same dangerous stretch of I-25 to work night shift. Every commute I find myself wondering how many rentals are improperly maintained, and if the next time someone will be killed. Unfortunately, being an emergency RN, the night of the accident I self-treated, feeling it unnecessary to check in a hospital at that time. Since then I've been seen for anxiety, neck pain, headaches due to stress from all this mess. Would you want to trust your family, your child's safety, to a company like this? Hertz you are nauseating.

I rented a car and the front windshield flapped open and we had a blowout. The police had to help and even the hertz at another location admitted that we got a broken vehicle. They refunded money but the trip was ruined. Never Hertz!

I used Hertz after I was in a car accident. The insurance company picked the rental company and paid, so I didn't have much of an option, but everyone was friendly and the process of picking up and returning the car was very simple.

I opened this account just to warn everyone from that ripped off company. I suppose to pay exactly 400$ American Dollars after returning my car after 10 days. When I returned my car they charge me in Mexico pesos instead American dollars and they have their own calculator of currency which I lost of course. Spoke with Supervisor and they lied to me also that I'm going to pay about 400$ due to pesos/dollar rate they showed me. After I come back to USA bank charge me 479$. This will never happens again because ** You Hertz.

I used Hertz for daughter and grandsons and their move from Boston, Ma. to Thousand Oaks Ca. The Maintenance light was on by end of pickup day. Car rental agency told me they grab reservation first Hertz Res. Changed oil/filter on pickup day of 6 day reservation, gave extra day when no SUV available. It was Not big enough for trip.

I called Hertz after driving my rental car home because I didn't take the time to look the car over in the airport parking lot. I was shocked to discover the car had been in an accident... It was scraped up on the back bumper... Badly scratched in front of the trunk and front bumper has 2 cracks in the plastic. Later in the afternoon I discovered I had no air conditioning. This is my worst experience ever renting a car. I called and took pics right away because I'm afraid they will think I did this damage. There is a number sticker above the damage so I'm assuming there is a record somewhere of what happened to this car but Hertz just ruined my mini vacation by making me worry and make phone calls and go without air conditioning for my little trip. I deserve all my money back for this. This car had no business being rented to anyone... Wished I could post my pick here!

Do not rent from Hertz!!! I was going to my father's funeral and our plane was canceled in Minneapolis and we had to rent a car asap. So when renting the car from Hertz, the counter NEVER told us there would be a $1,000 dollars "up charge" for a one way trip. So we had to fight with the Minneapolis staff to bring the "up charge" down to $400 on top of the rental and I know that no one else in line was told about the one way up charge because a bunch of us needed to rent a car to get to Green Bay that day and not a word was said about an extra $1,000 dollars!!!

I rented from the Hertz in Brockton MA on Oct 26, 2016 and returned on Nov 4, 2016. Paid the bill in full on Nov 6, 2016. On Jan 18, 2017 they charged my card $2200 for 250 tolls NONE of which I used... I contacted Hertz who directed me to Platepass who told me I was charged due to a faulty transponder so I disputed the charge and was told they needed to review which can take up to 30 days after which they will now mail a check... No refund is available to refund to my card in which they charged originally. THIS HAS BEEN A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE... I WILL NEVER RENT FROM HERTZ AGAIN. I am a single mom of two young children. I lost my husband this past May and have been totally struggling to survive and this did not help at ALL. Sorry for the rant but I am so disappointed that HERTZ did this to me.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Hertz offers rental cars in more than 150 countries across every inhabited continent. It has more than 10,300 corporate and franchise locations worldwide.

• Loyalty program: The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program comes with VIP benefits like faster pickup and drop-off services and member-only discount offers.
  • Business-to-business services: Business clients can save up to 25 percent on rentals and earn points for free rental days.
  • Accident partner: Hertz partners with many insurance companies to give drivers a quick and easy car rental while their automobiles are in the shop for repair.
  • Promotions and discounts: Hertz runs a constant stream of discounts and special offers on everything from extended rentals to weekend getaways.
  • Roadside assistance: In addition to liability insurance, Hertz has premium roadside assistance packages to help with situations like running out of gas, lost keys and dead batteries.
  • Many makes and models: Hertz offers multiple categories of vehicles, everything from economy to hybrid cars, convertibles and luxury cars to 15-passenger vans.
  • Car and Ride Sharing: Hertz has a Green Traveler collection, meaning all cars get a minimum of 33 miles per gallon.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Compare Rental Cars