3.7/5 (1963 ratings)

About Hertz

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: July 19, 2022

Their website hasn't worked for me all year. Each time I waste effort trying 3 different browsers, and It behaves differently in each one. If you call their phone number to book a car, they want to charge $25 more per day, and will not give you the price on the web. This is how they treat their Gold Card Members. I am a web programmer by trade, so I know how to get websites to work. But Hertz.com is a basket case. Trying to book by phones gives you someone in another country with no power to solve your problem. Also, they don't care if they get bad reviews.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Rented from Hertz at Richmond International on July 16, 2022 to attend a sudden funeral in Charlottesville. We got on the interstate and as soon as we got over 50 mph the car started to shake and made a loud noise as if a wheel was about to fall off. We stopped to see if we had a flat. Nope. Because we were late for a family dinner, we kept going but slower. After the funeral, we exchanged the car at the Hertz facility in Charlottesville, which shares an office with an auto body shop. The building is surrounded by broken down cars and the office made us feel like we were in a third rate garage. Although we called ahead, it took 45 minutes before they found a replacement vehicle.

Later that day we discovered the tailgate stayed locked most of the time no matter what we did, so we had to lower the back seats to get our stuff from the back. We had to put our luggage on the back seats after that. When we turned the car in, we notified the Hertz employee of the problem, who just shrugged and said they wouldn’t make an adjustment to our bill. We’re never renting from Hertz again. It has turned into a below budget rental car agency.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Updated on 7/25/2022: Received what appears to be an automated reply on 7/13, saying the same garbage. States that no adjustment can be made, because I pre-paid online. Hertz is an international company who is not honoring its advertisement to Veterans and the public should know. Today I will contact Channel 10 news.

Original review: This is a complaint about me not being able to get my military discount on any level. When I signed up online, the system would not apply my military discount. I called customer service and was told it would be applied at checkout when I presented my military id. At checkout on 7/6 with my military id, I was told by the counter rep that the system would not allow him to apply my military discount. Today when I returned the car today, I was told by the manager (Mr. **) even with me showing my military id, that because I had prepaid online that he could not adjust my bill for my military discount. I am a partially disabled veterans, and deserve my military discount as advertised by Hertz.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I called to reserve a car in San Diego to attend my son's military interment and honors ceremony at Fort Rosecrans Military Cemetery. There were 5 of us flying in from DFW. When I received my text verification I saw that we could not return the car until 6am and our plane left at 7am. There would have been no way to get all of us checked in at Hertz get the shuttle to the airport and check in for our flight and clear security by 7 am. So I called back within the hour after making my reservation to cancel. They told me no problem that I would receive a refund on my Credit card within two weeks. It did not come. Called again they again told me it would be in two weeks.

My CC bill came and I called again and again they said two weeks. No call. Called Credit card company and after hearing all I tried to do they filed a complaint against Hertz and refunded my money. One week later I received a paper bill from Hertz. I called again they said they would have someone call me within 48 hrs. No call. Next week received another bill. I have written to them. Nothing. Thank you Hertz for your help and compassion in my family's time of grief. Yes, I am angry they are putting me through all this. Never Ever will I think of renting from them again.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Overcharged us for a rental car. Was quoted 38.38 for rental and was charged 135.00. Called customer service and they were no help. Asked for a manager to call me, he was from some foreign country. Couldn't understand most of the ** script he was reading! Never rent from them NEVER!!! Was given a reservation code and Hertz is not honoring price!

Original review: July 7, 2022

I had small trouble with my car and they was unable to help me at all, really mismanaging, I was on phone for +18 hours to get my help but in the end I was requested to find my own help on my cost, so I would not recommend it for my friends even when it's cheaper. It's not worth!!!

Original review: July 6, 2022

Returned rental with full tank of gas and gas receipt, even took photo of dashboard showing full tank. A month later I get a letter from Hertz stating the car was returned empty so they charged my card $120! This is a company wide scam. Shameless dirtbag company. Stay away.

Original review: July 6, 2022

So let me start by saying I will never use Hertz again.. We picked the car up Thursday in Philly and by the time we made it to the airport we was calling complaining.. We was told to drop it off at any location but every location either was closed or didn’t have cars.. We made it to our location and still no place to switch the car out at.. And to add insult to injury we are on the road back and the back passenger tire blows out..due to lack of the company upkeep on this car.. We call the roadside emergency number just to be told that we didn’t have insurance (which we are fully covered) so they were charging for AAA..

My husband changed the tire to the spare and we made it to a local hertz only to be told that they wouldn’t switch the car out.. So now here we are stuck almost a 1000 miles away from home with kids..and car that is worthless.. And to make it worse we was told that the airport had cars but on the way there to exchange the car the back rear driver side blows out. So now with one spare on we still have a flat.. And customer service isn’t helping at all.. After 5 calls still no help.. And once we reach Columbia airport they told us that they do not do exchanges because they are a franchise.. So we had to sleep in the car with 2 toddlers and a 10 yr old.

Original review: July 6, 2022

When I went into Hertz I’ve realized that the pay now option that I’ve agreed to was not actually pay now. It’s a actual hold on your account that resulted in me not getting my car due to them charging a additional $200 holding fee and yes it has to be on the same card. So be aware I was also charged a $100 cancellation fee because they refused to deduct the $400 until they get the $200 holding fee so be ware. The billing department is a dead stock so don’t waste your breath. I hope somebody see this as a potential lawsuit. In addition if you return the car at a different location a inner city fee of $160 will be charged to your account without you knowing. This is very sketchy business.

Original review: July 5, 2022

NEVER prepay for Hertz! In fact NEVER rent from Hertz!! The only reason I prepaid for 8 days on a rental car is because the car movers said it could take that long to deliver my car from where it was shipped in Washington state. Well they delivered my car to Phoenix in 2 days, so I returned the Hertz rental car immediately after my car was delivered (SIX DAYS EARLY!!). Because I made the mistake of prepaying, Hertz will not refund me ANYTHING for the six days I did not use. This is nothing but highway robbery, and I will make it my business to tell ALL of my friends and colleagues about how Hertz is perfectly happy to rip them off! NEVER use Hertz!!

Original review: July 4, 2022

I rented a car in Madrid. I looked the vehicle over before I took it off the lot. No visible signs of damage. When it was returned the agent went right to one specific area of the vehicle on the front and back door's driver very close to the windows. There were paint imperfections visible UNDER the clear coat. He tried to tell me that this was damage to the vehicle that I had caused. I argued with him and he then went on to another area of the driver's door where he claimed that there was damage. I took a picture of the alleged area as did he. ABSOLUTELY nothing showed up in the photos. He then ran his finger over the alleged area. There was a rough spot on the clear coat but it was invisible to the naked eye or even the camera.

He contended that I had caused this damage, BUT there was no damage. I could not leave until I had signed the form agreeing to pay 65 euros for the damage and a 50 euro PROCESSING FEE. I know that they will not repair anything because there was nothing to repair. It was just a new SCAM to pocket an extra 135 euros. REMEMBER that when you rent from Hertz you can be subject to this SCAM, at least in Spain.

Original review: June 15, 2022

First, when they bring me the car, they don't do a walk around to show all the dents on the car and cigarette holes in the seats so I took my own pictures so they couldn't try and charge me for that. The car smelled of smoke so every time my kids and I would get out of the car we smelled and had headaches. I couldn't extend my rental online unless I wanted to pay $250 so I had to create a new reservation, for $125 BUT that meant I had to go back in and start a new reservation and add another $200 deposit... so at this point, I have $400 deposit.

I returned the car the same day of my second reservation and I called before returning and the guy told me I could so I went to return the car. I get there, I'm told he can't do it at the location but to call customer service and they can refund it for me. I call then am told they will not refund me unless it was an emergency even though I was told I could BEFORE and AFTER I returned the car.

Then My boyfriend calls because at this point the employees know nothing. He was then told if I write them online and say there was an emergency I would get a refund, so I did that... Well, now there's another excuse they used when all the other ones didn't work to still not give a refund. To a company, $86 refund and a happy customer is nothing, to a single mom who had to spend money on a rental car for a week, $500 on car insurance deductible that would have been very helpful. But instead, they lost a customer, and are getting a terrible review because they don't know how to treat customers. How come everyone in the location, and on the phone says a refund can be given? How do their own employees keep providing wrong information...

Original review: June 14, 2022

I rented a car for two days at the Hertz location on 181 West Washington Street in downtown Chicago. I paid $288.53 at time of reservation. When I picked up the car I added lost waiver damage which would bring the total amount to $342.51. I picked the car up at 3pm on a Friday and brought it back at 2:30 pm on a Sunday after hours.

On Tuesday I checked my credit card statement and saw that I was not only charged the $53.98 but an additional $300 + the $288.53 that I prepaid bringing the total to $642.51 for a two day rental. I first inquired via email and received an email back that said the extra $300 was for the lost waiver damage...huh? I have paper work that shows the lost waiver damage is $53.98. So I decided to place a call.

Well it turns out that they are claiming the extra $300 is a cleaning fee because they found dog hair. Hmmm, I was the only one in the car for the entire two days and I don't own a dog or any animal for that matter. Since I turned the car in after hours, I don't understand why I didn't receive a call to say we are going to charge you an additional amount because the car has dog hair and then I could have asked them to not clean it, I'm on my way because I want to see for myself. Nope, that didn't happen and now I am out $300 because we have what you call a "he said she said" situation.

I can tell you that this will be the very last time I rent from Hertz. So sad that customer service is such a lost art. I will take my business else where. For those of you that still want to rent from Hertz, beware, you better take pictures of the interior of the car before you drop it off or you may also be charged an extra cleaning fee!

Original review: June 14, 2022

Be very careful here. I rented a car with Hertz, made my selections, and got my GUARANTEED rate. My car was at a location with NO agent, just grab and go. When I got my receipt, added charges for insurance, airport fees, etc. Over $500 more than my quote. Look at your receipt and DEMAND to speak to a "live" agent before you leave. TERRIBLE customer service. Will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Seniors citizens beware. I picked up my granddaughter to stay us but she had to go home early. Hertz refused to give me a full refund. I begged customer service telling them we are on a fixed income and just help. No sympathy, "just not our policy".

Original review: June 5, 2022

I rented a Ford Mustang Convertible from the Sanford, Florida airport. I drove to Daytona Beach ("the World's Most Famous Beach"), but after driving for 2 hours, I realized it was far too small for a family of four. I called to exchange the car, but after spending 30 minutes waiting on hold and being transferred to computerized prompts, I gave up. We decided to take a quick walk along the beach before returning the car, but when we got back to the car, the key fob wasn't working.

After 2 hours of googling how to manually unlock/start the car with a broken key fob, we were stranded. I called Hertz and was told to uber to Auto Zone and try to fix the key fob myself. When I said that wasn't an option, she transferred me to roadside assistance, where I spent another 30 minutes on hold, only to be transferred to a voice prompt saying I'd have to fill out a report in person at the nearest Hertz location and was once again disconnected.

I left my family and took an uber to the nearest Hertz rental company. The onsite agent had to call a manager because they outsource their customer service. Manager "Pierre" refused to either rent me another car, send roadside assistance, or help any way. His rationale was that we were in breach of contract, which the local agent said was nonsense because it is a highly recommended destination and cars are able to drive/park there. Also keep in mind that the car was fine, it was only the key fob that was inoperable. I was ultimately billed almost $1,800 for a 6-hour car rental, including their imaginary roadside assistance that my family never received. Good luck trying to reach an actual person if there's an issue - it's once again a never-ending loop of "don't call us, we'll call you." Never again Hertz.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Worst place to rent. Don’t maintain their cars. One that I got had someone smoked inside. It had cigarettes ashes and lighter in between driver seat and center console. I call the company to complain. They created case # and told me to bring it to airport rental, I drove about 26mile to get car changed, when I got there Manager at LGA Mohammed refused to change the car.

I called Hertz customer service again. New person on the call said bring it to Jfk to charge. I drive another 20 minutes to JFK then again manager doesn’t want to change the car. I called customer service again (57 minutes) she told me to bring it back to original location. I told her I am allergic to smoke smell and I can not breathe she said, "We will tow the car," and charge me for towing. Basically she made me drive that same car back. Didn’t change for me. I bring car back to original location. They all the cars with all kind of problems (car dented, no head lights, dirty inside) so I returned the car, but there was no courtesy from anyone. I hope you don’t have to go thru this. Please rent from some other company.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have been a long time Hertz Gold Rewards member and I had accumulated several thousand reward points in my account. I recently tried to use those points for a rental in July 2022 and I noticed that my reward points were gone! The customer service agent explained that because I did not have any rentals in 2021, the points expired. Once I had a paid rental in 2022, they would consider reinstating my reward points.

I explained that I tried to rent a Hertz car in August 2021 for a trip to Savannah, GA but was told that there was no availability. This was months in advance but due to COVID, supply chain issues, labor shortages, etc, it was understandable so I had to rent from another agency. But then to have my points expire due to Hertz's lack of vehicle availablity is not right. Airlines, hotels, and all sorts of travel related businesses have made exceptions to their policies due to these issues but apparently not Hertz. I sent an email appeal to their customer contact on the Hertz website - not even a response. Terrible experience.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Me and my wife went to Kona Hawaii for vacation and had a car reserved from Hertz at the airport .When we got there we could not rent a car because they would not accept the perfectly good card we had reserved the car with. They left us without a vehicle. Were very rude and unempathetic. It was a horrible experience. Thank God for Budget rent a car next door or it would have completely ruined our vacation. Budget had us in and out very quickly with a nice car.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I recently rented a car from Hertz in Tampa Florida. I had an urgent issue with the key to my vehicle. I called customer service many times and waited forever on a wait line. I texted the number for customer service and got return texts that someone will call back as soon as possible. It took 11 hours for someone to actually call me. I have text messages throughout the day telling me that someone will call soon- so this documents their disrespect and incompetence. While I did not have a life threatening emergency, it is inexcusable, disrespectful and disingenuous to treat a customer this way. To boot, the person who actually called me 11 hours later, exuded apathy and insensitivity. She only made me even more disappointed in Hertz. I will never use this company again.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Worst customer service I've experienced in a long time. It is impossible to get anyone on the phone from the specific rental location (not an airport lot). Once I finally got a hold of someone, the call center employees do not give you a chance to explain yourself, rather they talk over you and simply recite scripted answers to whatever problem they think you are having. They are not accommodating to their customers and are totally unhelpful once they have your payment. Once I get my car out of the mechanic's shop, I will never use Hertz again.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I had booked at Union Station for a trip to Washington DC, which was cancelled by Hertz (via email) the day before my flight. I called Union Station and they told me it was due to a lack of cars. I then asked what I should do. I was told to book at Reagan airport (the airport to which I was flying). When I asked about the difference in rates, they told me to contact a manager at the airport and that they could honor the rate that I had. I tried the airport number several times. It rang and rang with no answer. I booked a car at the airport at the increased rate, expecting that the manager would assist me when I picked up the car.

When I went to pick up the car, I explained to the agent helping me what had happened. She went to speak with her manager and then sent me outside to speak with him. He insisted I pay for what I had booked. When I tried to explain again, he gave me the same answer. Attempting not to get too upset (although feeling very upset and dismissed) I excused myself and stepped away to either find a car somewhere else or try to call the HERTZ customer service to get help there. I couldn't get anyone to pick up at customer service. I ended up paying and having to call after the trip to get resolution. Super stressful!! No more HERTZ for me.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I decided to use the Uber/Hertz program for a side job. I rented a Hyundai Kona electric, a 2021 with over 41k miles on it. I ran fine for one day. I charged it and it wouldn't start up and common issue with degrading batteries from what I read. I get a run around from customer service they said they would tow it within a few hours, next day I go back it is still there. I have it towed to a Pep Boys, notified the owner in advance of the problem he said that is fine, he calls me back and says, "We don't do that," that he was mistaken.

Then finally the hertz towing calls me 12 hours after initial contact, told them where it was he said he will tow it to the uber/hertz 2150 Ne 7th ave location. Customer service told me they will do an exchange there. I said they only do reservations for uber, they repeatedly told me they will do an exchange. I asked five times, they also told me they were open on Sundays, I drive down on sunday, and it is closed, again I asked them five times about that. Went back today on Monday 5/16, they told me they do not do exchanges, I would have to wait until Wednesday to get off this contract and make a reservation for an ev car again which will take another few weeks. Which is ridiculous. I said forget it as I need to work for uber.

As I am leaving this place a women who was identified as a transporter waves me ahead, all they have is this small booth with a red light and a stop sign. I saw her and went ahead, no gate to stop me or anything, stop as window, the hertz guard didn't even look up, so I assumed I was good to go, so I drove over the spikes which upon entering would allow you to, so I thought it was the same way after being waved forward. The spikes flatten three tires on the property, so now not only do I have no car original under contract, I am being held responsible for the three tires and for a towing cost, all becaue your customer service told me to come to this place. This is ridiculous!

Half the Hertz company and apparently all of the customer service agents know nothing about this partnership and because of bad information now I am out of hundreds of dollars I didn't have to begin with. Is this how your company runs its business? Not one person was even accepting and even nice about the events that transpired and none of this was my fault. I agreed to pay over $350 a week to hertz so I could work for uber and because of a bad car that shouldn't have even been rented with that many miles on it in a year esp. for an ev I have to pay hundreds of dollars. I'm getting evicted, my business failed and this was my last option for work and to have all this happen just isn't right. 2150 NE 7th Ave, Dania Beach FL.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Avoid Hertz and rent your car with another company. I rented my car with Hertz 3 times and all 3 times my experience got worse and worse. First experience I paid in-full for a SUV and when I arrived I was told that they didn't have any SUVs and that they could only offer a compact or minivan without a refund for the extra I paid for an SUV. My second experience was when I returned my rental I was charged a late fee of 2 hours not because I brought the car late but because when they checked in the car it was hours after I originally returned it. Luckily I took pictures when I returned it to prove it was brought back hours before they claim I did. Even with those pictures I had to fight with consumer service to get a refund for the extra charges. My last experience is by far the worst.

On April 28, 2022 I arrived at Tampa Airport Hertz and was offered an upgrade for $32 total. I asked several times if "I will only be charged $32 correct" with the response of "yes only $32". Their signature pads do not have a screen so whatever you sign it is done blindly and you have to trust what the employee is saying to you. I was asked if I wanted an upgrade to a full-size for $32 total which I accepted and declined any additional insurance. The employee said "no problem and to insert my credit card and sign on the signature pad". I didn’t get a print out on the spot. I was told I would get an email with all paperwork which I didn’t get until I returned the car 4 day later.

I immediately contacted Hertz customer service to complain about the additional charge I didn't accept. I was told "We are sorry to hear that you were charged for the loss damage waiver. We regret to inform you that the rate is valid and you signed the rental agreement." Obviously this is how they scam their consumers! They tell you that you are signing for one thing but really you are signing for extra charges. Absolutely sad! I will never rent a car through them again.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have rented cars from Hertz for 20+ years and while customer service has been declining for a while, this is the worst experience I have ever had! A normally high rental cost around $60/day was escalated to appx. $325/day creating a bill in the thousands for a car that was older and smelled of smoke. I was billed for gas regardless of the fact I had already filled the tank. I would have discovered these billing issues before I turned the car in but the check in team was too busy and told me they would email me a receipt. Now the customer service department won't do a thing to help except offer some points. This is the worst customer service ever!

Original review: May 10, 2022

Have never had a issue with Hertz before till this past month…I was renting 2 cars for a trip to Disney. I rented the first car online and could not rent another online so they said to call them and they would honor the price I paid online. That did not happen. When I called to rent it someone else said they could not honor the price. So I put in a complaint to Hertz and they got back to me and said since then the price had gone down. To call the reservation department and they would take care of the difference..I called them and I was suppose to get a $80 refund. NEVER happened. Called back again and got someone else and they said they can not refund anything and to cancel the reservation and they can start from scratch..

At that point I was so nervous that I would not get the refund because I paid up front so I told them no.. So we go that day and pick up the cars. VERY VERY confusing. No one seemed to know what was going on. I tried and tried to add a person as a second driver and everyone passed it to the next person. Needless to say no one did it for us at all. No one explained anything to us about the rental..Got hit for tolls because i wasn’t sure what to do when I got to them. Then I get home from my trip. Now there is another charge that was charged out for one of the car. Have called 2 times now for a refund and have not got it yet. PLEASE PLEASE BEWARE OF USING THEM…

Original review: May 10, 2022

Online I rent a car online, I book a car for one week. I got a email and showing I have to pay for total of $1150 including $159 for insurance and damage to the cat, at 7 am I get to Toronto and I have to pick up the car, but I have to pay for the car $1750, and already car insurance charged my $159 for same car but Hertz charged me again. Please not trust any of those companies (Hertz and Allianz), they are not Trustworthy at all.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I picked up my rental at Dallas Love. I had booked the vehicle through Priceline and fully paid my bill with Priceline. There was no issue with pick up and drop off, but when I returned home from my trip, I received a hefty bill from Hertz, for many optional insurance coverages which I neither asked for, nor explained about. When I contacted Hertz to complain, they passed me on to the location and after many calls, they promised me a manager will contact me and sort it out, which they never did. It's a rip off scam they are running with insurance which cost me more than rental costs!! I will never rent from Hertz again, ever. Very poor customer service.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Hertz has shady business practices, I rented a car through a third party (Wisecars) with a voucher of $851 and was told that the voucher would cover the cost of the car + insurance and any remaining would be charged to my card. I thought that this was fair, so mistakenly took the insurance, and allowed for them to put a $200 hold on the card. To my surprise I later see a $800 charge on my account, when I emailed their customer support initially I received no answer for over 5 business days, their expected was 3-4 business days. Wondering if there was any resolution, I then used their text support. It took over 30 minutes for their "live support" to answer, so I called as well.

Eventually I was able to talk to a representative that couldn't enunciate their words clearly, coming from an immigrant household this is normally not an issue, but the representative was incomprehensible. They then said that the insurance is not included in the voucher price, which then begs the question what's the point of the voucher? I'm still going to be down the $800 in addition to the $600 I paid the third party (Wisecars). Stay away from this company!

Original review: May 2, 2022

I pre-paid a rental for a vehicle. Showed up at the appointed time and place and was told that their computer was blocking the rental of that specific vehicle. They said there was nothing they could do and to call and have them cancel the reservation and refund my money. They told me it would be 5 to 7 days. It’s been 12 days and still no refund. I called him several times and there was never management available to speak with, ever! I asked them that is their policy to take the customers money and not provide a rental and they said it has happened before. The last time I spoke with him which was two days ago they said a manager would get back to me that day. Of course, there was no call.

Hertz Company Information