Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.74/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Hertz Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2020

Used Hertz for 7 years every week while traveling for my job. Accumulated 35000 points. Unaware they would expire. Went to use some of them. Was told they ALL expired 2 months ago. They say an email was sent. I did not receive one or would have done whatever it took to keep those points from expiring. Called and spoke to supervisor who refused to reinstate points. After all MY loyalty, they’ve decided they have none for me. This is just cruel.

Original review: March 10, 2020

We booked online with the cost being $118. We thought it was a fair price since we would also have to pay for gas. We were doing into LAX airport and never had been there before so I called Hertz ahead of time to make sure were able to get to Hertz on time and at the right location because we were flying in for my brother's wedding and we were in a time crunch and had to be at a rehearsal by noon which was about an hour and 30 minutes away (we arrived at LAX at 9:30 but still needed to get the rental car).

So they tell us that there are shuttles and to get on the shuttle that said Hertz and it will bring us to the rental location. So that's what we do, get there and they say our reservation is not for that facility but a nearby facility that we would have to Uber to or walk 25 minutes. They would not honor our reservation even though it was through Hertz... So being on the time crunch we are on (by now it's already 10:15) we had to get the rental car which was $290 (additional to the $118 already paid for).

So we call customer service in the car, they agree to at least refund the $118... However 2 weeks later still no refund, call and they said the refund was not even processed and that they had to put it through again and that would take another 5-7 business days (writing this review we still do not have the money in our account)... So now we are currently trying to have Hertz adjust the astronomical $290 for 2 days car rental to the $118 that it should have been, and they are saying that they do not perform monetary refunds and that they would give us a voucher for $50 future car... This is a headache dealing with Hertz and they will not admit they were in the wrong.

Original review: March 8, 2020

I was charged for a rental that I didn't rent. I was told by Hertz that I would not be charged. BUT I WAS, Now 7 days later Hertz is telling me it will be another 7-15 days before I can see the refund. My first bad experience with Hertz (spider in car Hertz gave me $30 dollars towards my next purchase) I should have learned. When you call Hertz you can tell that they are reading off a script for disappointed customers!!! (Even the so-called manager.)

Original review: March 6, 2020

I rented a car on Feb. 28. The next day, in the parking lot of a church where I was attending a family funeral, the car wouldn't start. I contacted roadside assistance, who told me it would be 75 mins for a tow truck. Since that was unacceptable and again - I was in the middle of a funeral - I requested a Lyft pickup. Two Lyft drivers never arrived, and I sat in the parking lot for 45 mins waiting. When I called roadside assistance a third time, I managed to get the car started, and roadside assistance advised me they would cancel the tow truck and since I got the car started to drive it to the Tucson Airport drop-off.

All of this caused me to miss the remainder of the funeral, including a scattering of ashes. When I spoke to the location manager on Monday, they offered me an insulting $40 credit for my "troubles." I had a plane to catch, so I moved on intending to contact customer service once back in my home state. My experience with customer service has been appalling and unacceptable.

They offered me a "bereavement discount" of another $40 to help offset the experience, claiming they were "unable" to refund the rental entirely. The rental which broke down, never received roadside assistance that customers pay for, and which caused me to miss part of a funeral and a scattering of ashes. The customer service supervisor I spoke to was obfuscatory and claimed that she had no supervisor within all of the Hertz company that I could speak with when I found her "bereavement discount" offer unacceptable and frankly offensive. Not only is this appalling, unacceptable customer service, but it's not providing services *already paid for* (roadside assistance), which I can only imagine is also a safety liability for Hertz customers.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I tried to book online and was unable to so I called the 800 number- the first time I called I was told I could not use points, so I waited a day and called back. The second time I called the gentleman said of course I could. My pick-up and drop off times were in the middle of the night due to flight time, and I clearly explained I would be 2-3 hours over a day. The gentleman assured me he put the extra hours on the internal system and I had nothing to worry about. When I got the confirmation it had the wrong time, I called back and was assured the extra time was in the internal notes and I need not worry.

I picked up my rental at 1:09 am and returned it at 2:33 am on the designated day, about 1.5 hour over the 1 day punch time. When I got billed it was for a full additional day. I called the 800 number right away and explained everything, the gentleman said it was because they checked the car in at 5:30 not 2:30- I thankfully had taken pictures. He said I needed to submit a claim. I submitted a claim with the information and pictures on 2/24 and was assured I'd hear back no more than 5 business day, I followed up on Thursday of that week and they told me everything looked good and I should have information for the refund the following day.

The following day.... nothing. I waited until the following Wednesday to send a follow-up email, and then on Friday I called when I still had not received a single response. The woman I spoke with said although she understood my frustration could only go on the email the man sent me which showed a different time. I told her about the "internal notes" he assured me of and she basically told me there was no such thing. I explained in great detail what happened and asked her why I was going to be charged for something that was so obviously an internal issue in training and communication, she offered me a $50 voucher for my next rental.... as if I would EVER rent with them again.

In the end I had more than enough points for another day which begs the question why would I pay $175 when I could easily have used points? Why were the fees only $32.00 but the quote I received via email $67, could it be the extra couple of hours I was going to pay for? I ended up letting her charge me the day in points and refund my money because I don't need the points ever again because I will never rent from them. How Hertz customer service is rated high is beyond me, their outsourcing it to scripted employees who do not understand the system or what is being asked of them and then they are refusing to make right what their internal disarray costs their customers. I am disgusted by the entire process, the lack of concern that a mistake was made, the lack of effort to rectify the mistake, or gain a deeper understanding to correct it moving forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reserved a car on lone, chose a specific car since it was an option. Car was not available and I was given a vehicle with engine problems. I decided to return the call early after two days. They ran my credit card after everything was already paid in full for an additional $435.00. This was not approved or authorized. They also forged my signature. I spent hours upon hours trying to get this resolved. 4 months later still not resolved. They have terrible customer service. I see a lot of reviews for fraudulent charges. Looks like this is their normal business process, is to take advantage of the consumer.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

The biggest problem is I didn't read the reviews. I had a 3:30 pick up time;when I arrived @3:35, no one was in the office, so I waited about 15 mins when the person came inside with about six other people; finally after 45 mins, I was told that the car had to be cleaned inside but not washed because the washer was down; I waited another 15-20 mins, still no car, so I told her to cancel the reservation. I will never, ever set foot at that location again, nor will I recommend it to anyone. Stay out of the ghetto and hire some professionals.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I will not rent a car with Hertz again. I paid for car insurance through Allianz Car Insurance. Hertz charged me an additional $213 for MORE car insurance without my permission. I have called Hertz/Thrifty/Allianz over and over and not one person is willing to help. They just keep telling me to call a different place. I have also emailed all 3 and have heard nothing back at all. I have emailed Hertz multiple times and have not heard anything back. I filed a claim with my bank and Hertz denied the claim with no explanation at all. Hertz isnt even giving me the time of day after stealing an additional $213 from me. I would not recommend anyone using Hertz. I have never dealt with such poor customer service in my life.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Replacement rental at Hertz, you are a second class citizen! My reservation was not acknowledged at all! They said my reservation with Hertz was not valid in spite of having a confirmation number because it was a State Farm rental. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I made a reservation (Reservation **) via Hertz.com ahead of my trip, the reservation total amount is 634.52 USD. But when I dropped off the car, I was charged 49447.80 Agentina peso, which equals to 827.74 USD. I requested to honer the reservation price, the agent refused and insisted on charging me 49447.80 Agentina peso. I have tried to contact hertz customer service. For weeks, there's no response. What should I do next to make hertz honor the reservation and return the difference to me?

Michael