Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

2.1/5 (163 ratings)

About Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

Pros

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

Cons

• Cars may have high mileage

Bottom Line

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Verified

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several time...

Verified

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at...

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

We reserved a small SUV in April for an October trip to New England. Pickup was easy in downtown Boston. I think the price we reserved at in April was below the current market but there was no change in price for our two week rental. We got a slightly nicer SUV than we anticipated - Audi Q3. We dropped off in Rhode Island. It would have been nice if the agent had shown us how to use the toll tracker but that is the only complaint.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jack, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience! We're so glad you enjoyed the ride. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

My husband and I traveled from NJ to Coral Gables Florida for a surgical procedure I was having done from October 13th-October 22nd. My husband is a NYPD detective and quite honestly we were going to Hertz because they offered a discount to Law Enforcement! Since Enterprise was within walking distance we decided to stop into the 4125 Ponce De Leon Blvd site and cannot tell you how happy that we did.

I must say, and my husband will agree, that ** and staff were outstanding and professional! She truly went above and beyond to accommodate our every need! We even had to exchange the vehicle due to the surgery I was having and it was no problem at all. She ensured we had exactly what we needed. She was the most courteous and professional person I have ever dealt with. When we returned the vehicle she took interest in my surgery and wished me well! That is just an amazing personal touch- THANK YOU **! We feel ** should be recognized for exceptional customer service and going above and beyond! I would highly recommend this location to anyone.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Tina, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you had a great experience with us!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I reserved a car the beginning of the week for Saturday. I was given a confirmation number. I was all set to pick up the car Saturday morning at 8 am giving myself enough time to arrive in High Point to attend a funeral. I received a call at 6:19 Friday evening saying no cars was available, not giving me enough time to reserve something else at a different company so I called the corporate office. They said it was cars available at the Kinston location. I explained to her the call I received and ask to speak to a supervisor, after waiting 10 min she came on the phone apologizing for the inconvenience and took my name and number and said she would look at a different location. I never heard anything else from Enterprise. It was so unprofessional how they waited until closing to call me. This was at the Kinston NC location

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sabrina, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Sean, the branch manager, and his staff went above and beyond to accommodate me with professionalism, and their partnership with Country Financial (my car was totaled in a deer incident) was an entirely positive experience. I went in the second day of my rental to ask about a solution to the serious smoke smell in the car assigned to me. Sean immediately offered to replace the car, which solved the problem.

I enjoyed driving the 2020 Hyundai Elantra for sure. Later that day, but after closing, I realized I had left my garage door opener on the visor. I drove to the branch, was blessed to have an off-the-clock employee arrive at the same time, and, of course, he was able to get me into the car to retrieve my opener. I got a call from Sean the day before the insurance rental coverage ran out to remind me of it. Every time I spoke with Sean he was gracious, patient, and entirely helpful. His branch was understaffed, for various reasons, but he took it in stride with a great attitude. This is the first car rental experience I have ever had in my 64 years, and it set a high bar.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Kari, thank you very much for the wonderful review! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. Your feedback and your review are greatly appreciated! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you! We’ll see you next time! – Carol H.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Wow, I'm disappointed that I'm having to terminate my dealings with Enterprise. Due to the fact of how high they are now. Enterprise was my go-to place when I needed a car at the 1st of the month, I'm a senior and renting a car from them every 3rd of the month saved me a lot of money rather than paying individuals to run me around. The deposit went up. Of course that's not a problem because you get that back but now the rates have skyrocketed. Also a vehicle use to run around 47-60 something not including the insurance which was ok but now a compact car cost over $96 not including insurance and taxes.

I'm sad that I can't afford to rent anymore, when you living on a set income there is simply no way. Thanks Enterprise for the years you were there for me, but now I can no longer afford you. I won't complain about my experience with you all. Everyone was friendly & courteous. I had gotten the chance over the years to know some of them personally because they was use to me coming in every month and the service was excellent also. The cars was always clean. Thanks again. You need a senior program. ☺️

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

A. J. , thank you for sharing with us. We certainly understand your sentiments. Our rates do vary depending on the time of year, availability and other factors. If we can help, please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

If you own a car rental place....how are they in business if they do not have vehicles to rent? Just wondering how that works. Had a reservation for today but seems they have zero cars to rent. Calling three different locations....that's right. No cars. They are spouting car shortages yet you pull into the lot and there are cars far and wide everywhere you look. Makes zero sense.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Cindy, we’ve noted your comments and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include your contact telephone number, the exact rental location, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you. - Carol H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

The worst thing that can happen when you come from Europe to the U.S. is to have your car rental refused, (after you have made multiple checks, right up to the day before, on the reservation to ensure there won't be any problems). The employees are not very bright. That's okay. What isn't okay, is they didn't even care that I was left there with my daughter and granddaughter with a half dozen suitcases, with no alternative. They don't know how to check on international telephone numbers, credit cards, etc. If this happens at a hotel, the staff would happily call another hotel for you.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Basil, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I tried to rent a vehicle for the 3rd time through Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Fort Walton beach. They told me that they couldn't verify my address even though I had to use it 2x before so they wouldn't let me rent. I even had a reservation and when I called customer service they had no problem with finding my address and when I asked for a manager I was told that they didn't have one. I asked, "You don't have a manager in the entire company?" Was told no by the rep. When I called the corporate office it was a number to some health insurance company offering those emergency help necklaces. Had nothing to do with enterprise at all.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jason, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with the exact rental location, your full name, contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Customer service in Danbury CT and Brewster NY sites, horrible. Needed a rental when someone rear ended me, insured's policy couldn't direct bill, so even though we have to rent and wait for reimbursement, the only vehicle the Danbury site could offer was a minivan that had almost no gas, bucked, could barely make 60 MPH and was dirty with crumbs, grapes and other food. Since Danbury had nothing else, we called Brewster, where we have rented before, the guy that answered the phone was rude and less than helpful, recommended we deal with Danbury. Pathetic all the way around, not sure of the criteria to be hired, but must be pretty easy.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Nick, our customers' privacy is truly our top priority. We are happy to help your son however this team can only speak directly with him. If your son has access to a social media account registered in his name, he can reach to us by DM or PM or email Care@Enterprise.com with the full details. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

We recently traveled to Pensacola Beach. Picked up our rental at the airport. Rental was for 3 days. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and being returned at 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning. At 6:00 p.m. Sunday night, our rental broke down. We were able to hobble it the last mile to our hotel and get it parked. We immediately called Enterprise who asked us to drive the car to the Pensacola airport and pick up another one. We told them that was impossible as the car would not make it that far. At that point they wanted us to take an Uber to the airport to pick up another one. We told them that was unacceptable and they should bring us a car. We were told that the tow truck would be picking the truck up in 28 minutes and we would have a new car in 89 minutes.

3 hours later, the tow truck called and told us he was at the airport but couldn't find us. Huh? Why did they send him to the airport? We told him the address of our hotel and he finally made it there and took the car. So we called Enterprise back wondering where our replacement car was but they told us until they received the first car back they couldn't release another. After about an hour, the tow truck company called us and asked what he should do with the car, since Enterprise was closed. Really? Why was he calling us, shouldn't they be communicating with Enterprise? He said he tried calling Enterprise but they were no help at all.

We again called Enterprise to tell them that the tow truck driver didn't know what to do with the car, and we were really glad that we didn't Uber there because no one would have been there to rent us a new car. Enterprise then told us we would have a new car delivered to us...maybe...well maybe not...they would try, but couldn't guarantee us anything. We had to leave for the airport at 2:00 a.m. and no one ever showed up with a replacement car. They totally ghosted us, no call, no e-mails, no car, no nothing... Left us stranded with no way back to the airport in the middle of the night. Thank goodness we knew someone in the area that came to rescue us and take us to the airport.

I feel if I could have just spoken with someone at the actual place we rented the car from instead of a call center outside of the U.S., we may have had some results. The people at the call center had no clue what time of day it was and that the places they want to send us were closed. It was a very bizarre and frustrating experience, especially when dealing with a Nationwide company. This should have been a quick and easy fix. They have lost a loyal customer.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Natalie, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with the exact rental location, your full name, contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information