2.16/5

3189 Enterprise Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Our car was involved in an accident, Nationwide arranged for us to rent a car from Enterprise, down the street from our house, the branch is located on 75th and Lemont Rd, Downers Grove IL. Speaking with Mr. ** (manager) on the phone he told me to be there at 10:00 am Friday April 19, 2019 to pick a full size car which I was approved for by Nationwide insurance company, ** said my choices are Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima. I picked the Toyota Camry, 10 am I got there his colleague Mr. ** and after ** whispered something to him said, "All cars are gone. We only have a Santa Fe for you and you need to come back in half hour. The vehicle is being serviced now." I asked of, "Why you made me come here at this time to go back, a phone call from you to reschedule my appointment would've saved me the hassle." I asked if they can drop off car since I live 3 miles away, they did two and half hours later.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Rented from Enterprise's TF Green Airport location this past weekend in Warwick, RI and I had a great experience from start to finish. Check-in at the counter was a breeze and the gentleman assisting me was very helpful considering this was my first time. When I went upstairs to pick up the car, Brian showed me all the cars available at the time and explained the insurance options in detail, which eased my mind. It was a good pay-week so I was happy to upgrade and there was totally no pressure at all. I'm so glad I did though as the luxury car served me much better on the trip (in terms of comfort and performance) than the car I initially booked, so that made the overall experience a lot better.

Brian was super kind to help me through the Bluetooth pairing setup and get me all squared away with the car. During my trip there were no issues at all. The car was flawless. When returning the vehicle it was just as smooth as when I picked it up. Dean helped me get my bags out of the car and was a pleasant/smooth guy to work with after such a long, tiring drive. Everything went better than I expected it to go and I can't wait to rent from this location again. Very helpful staff all around from counter to pick up to drop off, great vehicles, reasonable prices and very respectful of time. Overall 5 Star experience!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I rented a vehicle for one day. Upon arrival to pick up car the price was to be 185.00 which Enterprise held 465.00 for security deposit until return of the vehicle. I returned the car the next day and Enterprise tried to charge me over $300 for the rental. I asked for the manager and showed her my agreement thru Costco for 185.00. She made the adjustment and released the difference off the security deposit. All this minus the overcharge is completely normal when renting a car. However Enterprise took it upon themselves to charge my credit card the very next day another $277 dollars.

When I called to ask about charges the customer service rep said, "This is your security deposit" (which is normally returned when you return vehicle) and said it would be returned to me in 10 days after they had already returned it to me at the point of returning the car. I travel all the time and rent cars - never have I had this happen with other companies. When I return the car they charge me what I owe and instantly return the deposit which they have been holding. Needless to say I will not be renting from Enterprise again. I mention this to the customer service rep and she said “then I guess we have nothing more to discuss here”. Incredible!

Original review: April 20, 2019

We rented a car from OOL Gold Coast airport for a total of 5 days. On the day we returned the car, we noticed that the back light was busted and a small side bumper was slightly shifted. We had no idea how it happened, but we reported the case to Enterprise, and as a result, they told us that they would freeze AUD2000 for the repair cost. We complied.

After returning to our home country, there was no news about the repair work done and when we inquired after 3 weeks, we received a letter of demand sent by the claim representative claiming that they wanted a total of AUD2338.28 for the total cost of repair. What is fishy is that they did not send me the final invoice, only an estimate. How can they even charge me for an estimate. This is extremely unreasonable, considering the only part needs to be repaired was the back light. They also threatened legal action if we don't pay up the remaining within 14 days.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I made a reservation to be picked up at my house today April 19, 2019 at around 1pm. I made the reservation online. I needed a car for the weekend. Very important!! The agent drove right to my house. I was pleased great service, as we were pulling out he kind of slowed down. I'm thinking this is odd, and he proceeded to ask me If I had a valid driver's license and car insurance, I said, "Sure I have a valid license, but no insurance." I don't own a car. Why would I have or need it? That would not make sense right.

The agent then said you must have at least liability insurance to rent a car, or provide a valid credit card, not a debit card. I said I do not have a credit card. High interest pain in the neck. More convenient not to have one. I was taken aback when he said he could not rent me the vehicle. So I have to own a car to rent a car basically. I haven't rented from Enterprise since 2015, and this policy must have went into place after that time. The Agent gave me a few suggestions to call local agents. Which I did, and they said, "The policy is a joke, and my insurance I would sell you is $300 for 6 months, and you would have to pay up front." He said, "Please don't do it, it makes no sense."

This is a major FYI. Please be prepared for this major set back, monkey wrench. If you had major plans with a lot of money in the bank, and a debit card with a valid driver's license good luck trying to rent from Enterprise. They must not need the business that bad. :( The worst thing is that Enterprise is the only game in this little town. If there was a Budget, Hertz, Avis etc, or National who I really like. I would have a car by now. Now this may only be a West Virginia policy. I truly can't see this being a nationwide restriction. Especially for people who live in NYC where I'm originally from, where a lot of us don't have vehicles. They would go out of business, and just watch customers at airports go right to the competition.

I remember the days when they did not accept debit cards. I had flow back into to town 10 plus years ago, and proceed to rent from Enterprise at the airport to drive 60 miles home. They Would not take the debit card, or supply them with all this information utility bills and all this crap to get one with a debit card. I let Enterprise watch as National rented to me right next door with no issue in and out in 10 minutes. I'm extremely disappointed in this policy from Enterprise, and since their very own employees are telling me it make no sense. Now I know why the agent slowed down when he started asking me these questions, probably one out of three's outcome is, NO CREDIT CARD, NO INSURANCE, NO CAR RENTAL. :(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: April 18, 2019

The employees act as if they are doing you a favor by renting you a vehicle. They stand around talking instead of helping the customer. I have seen this all the places I have rented a car from Enterprise. I have used other companies and been treated better period. I used Enterprise for convenience only and a lot of my friends feel the same way. Looking for better service all the time.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I originally rented a Nissan for 10 days but ended up keeping vehicle for 30 days. The counter staff was very courteous and a pleasure to interact with one exception. l refused their insurance ($11 per day) and opted to use my credit cards insurance and was given a bs story how I would still be personally liable for any damage. I must assume that corporate pushes sales agents to sell coverage by enterprises. My experience with company was pleasurable.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Have been very happy with Enterprise. They gave me the first car a new Ford Escape. It was horribly set up inside. Took it back and exchanged it for a Dodge that had a better organized dash layout, much more user-friendly. So it has been a good replacement while my car gets fixed after the latest encounter with an inattentive driver.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Since they pick you up and drop you off at your house, it is a very convenient way to rent a car, not much pressure to upgrade either. Very knowledgeable sales associates. I was very satisfied with the total invoice.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My car needed to be towed and I wasn’t close to home so I rented from the Pawtucket, RI office. I have no complaints with that office at all. I was to return the car to the Warwick, RI office, since it was closer to my home. I needed the rental for a week. When I returned the car I was told that there were scratches all over the door. Now the scratches were there when I rented it from the other office, but they reassured me that they were minor and could be buffed out. So I didn’t give it another thought. The Warwick office, was rude, telling me either I put in a claim or they would not accept the car back.

I was upset, very upset that they would accuse me of scratches that I did not do. Especially because when I first rented it I went around the whole car pointing out all the scratches. They left me no choice but to go back to the Pawtucket office, 45 minutes away. When I returned the car back to the Pawtucket office, I had no issues. He told me those were minor scratches and he didn’t know why Warwick office would not accept the car back without a claim. He apologized for their actions. Stay away from the Warwick, RI office. They are under trained and need to learn customer service. The Pawtucket office was awesome!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Went from plane straight to their parking lot and there sit the car I ordered. Paperwork was already fill out, so sign my name and left. Return was as easy.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Not satisfied with the level of customer service. Requested a full size vehicle, they supplied me with a compact car. I had to come back later in the day to exchange it. When I returned it they only had the original paperwork (wrong car) and had to search for the correct paperwork.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Enterprise Rent A Car usually has good customer service. Their people are friendly and helpful. The problem I have encountered is that they are not always properly trained. I can speak to one CSR at the store to obtain information then call back a few days later and speak with a different CSR and I will receive conflicting information. I have also rented a car through them twice and requested their picked up service and both times no one was available to provide pick up service and I was not notified either time.

Original review: April 17, 2019

In the event of renting a car after I had a car accident my insurance company referred me to Enterprise Rent A Car which wind up costing me more than if I rented a car from another car rental company on my own. I actually had to Shell out $199.00 for fees.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Unkept promises. My car broke down in the middle of a trip, called Enterprise, confirmed a reservation at noon on 4/16. When I got there, they had no car, even though I had a confirmed reservation. How can they get away with this? A confirmed reservation but would most likely not get a car rental until the next day. There is just something so wrong with doing business like this. I would have understood, "we are sorry, we do not have any rentals available for you today, but we will have something available tomorrow". I would have understood that explanation. Do they get credit for how many car rentals they do per day, even if the rental does not happen? Just seems like a bait and switch to me. A lousy business model.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We got an SUV and it was top heavy and hard to drive. We would have rather had another brand of car. There was not a lot of foot room. The price was good. But we didn't like it at all. I would have liked to try out vehicles before we took such a long trip.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I love renting from Enterprise. The vehicle selections, customer service and cost are ok with me! The vehicles are clean and up to date. If something is wrong with the vehicle they will assist you with another one. I have no problem with this car rental business!

Original review: April 16, 2019

My car was in the shop for several days and I was very happy with the car and customer service I received from Enterprise. The employees were very friendly, flexible and made the experience tolerable. The pick up/drop off service was superb very convenient.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Horrible service at the 500 Northlake Blvd Lake Park Florida 33408 location. ** the manager is a racist man! He is unprofessional and incredibly rude. He saw that I had a reservation however sent me to the back of the line and took care of everyone else even though I was there since the minute they opened. And then when I came to the front of the line again he then asked me several questions about myself that had nothing to do with renting a vehicle & then when I asked him why is he asking me these questions he then told me to have a nice day and gave me my major credit card back, so pretty much kicking me out of the store. I could not believe that he would do this to a customer that has been coming to this location for 3 years when there were other managers that actually treated their customers like humans. I highly do not recommend this location!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have always received good customer service as well as having the perfect rental that meets my need. When traveling love that Enterprise will pick me up. I always check Enterprise first for my best value and always recommend this service to my friends.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Every time I need to rent a car Enterprise has been wonderful and their selection is great. If they do not have what I want and I give them 24 hour notice they bring a car from one of their other locations to where I am renting from. The only thing I do not like is the $500 deposit they charge if you use a debit card instead of a credit card. It is refundable but it can be inconvenient.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Very good service and support for the vehicle selection. But the type of vehicle I needed it wasn't in stock. The price was right for the vehicle we received and it was in good condition for the time we used it.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Convenient locations. But took way too long to do paperwork. The PICK-UP service is real poor in that they pick you up then drive you back to the office for 1- 2 hours of waiting and paperwork. This shouldn't occur. Their rates have increased but quality of vehicle has decreased.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Had to rent a car this week. My wife car was in an accident. I work for a car dealer for over 40 years. This Ford Explorer was filthy, no gas, service light on. If it wasn't a last mins thing I would not taken the car.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Enterprise appears to have good prices, but adding coverage for collision waiver, etc. makes the price unreasonably high. I recently had a $35 daily rental turn into $100 per day. The customer service is fine, but they seem to have a great deal of turnover since it seems that there is always someone in training at each location.

Original review: April 14, 2019

The representatives are very helpful. They go the extra mile to help you obtain the vehicle of your preference for an affordable price and they work with most insurance companies in the event of an emergency such as an accident.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Had a really bad time with management and customer check in the last time I rented from Enterprise Car Rental. One of our group had prepaid for the rental but did not want to be the driver so that's when I was ask to drive by our group. I was ask for my credit card which I did give for them to copy since I was the Driver. Number one: No documents was printed for us to take with us in the rental car. I have rented many times from Hertz and always had documents with me to put when renting from them. I was told the documents was sent to email of person who prepaid. That person did not have a smartphone and could not get documents we needed since they did not use email while traveling. We was not ask beforehand about how the rental docs was to be provided.

I then suspected Enterprise had me renting the car even though the rental had been paid by another person. I ask if I was the renter and YES that was the case. So I requested they cancel me as driver, remove my credit card from their system and then someone else could drive since I did not carry insurance on my own personal car at home. The person who had prepaid had not chosen to cover the rental itself in case of an accident thinking I guess everyone carries insurance on their own car and that would cover any accident.

Another person of our group gave their credit card and signed electronically as I had done and drove the car the whole week. They had a fender bender in a parking lot during the week but the rental was drivable. Upon checking in they still had me as the renter! No record of the change was recorded. So Enterprise Exposed me to unexpected financial loss. I worked with their region management of Enterprise who just gave me the run around but acted as if he was doing something but never did and was worthless. I and four other members of our group will not ever use Enterprise Rental ever again. THEY LIE.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Enterprise in New York is not that good. They like to play games with you especially when you have reserved what you thought was a mid-size car then they tell you, "Here's your truck." I said, "No. I did not reserve a truck. I reserved a mid-size car." Oooh, they replied. "We don't have one." I said, "That's not my problem. I reserved a mid-size car days ago." I had to suggest a SUV. The man then looked around and said ok. What the hell all **.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve consistently received exceptional customer service from the on the ground agents when I pick up my car. Polite, organized and efficient. One guy in DC went out of his way to make sure we had the car we wanted so that we could go to a friend’s father’s funeral.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Helpful, pickup/drop off, explain everything... Even though insurance was covering, he explained that if the vehicle was damaged I would still owe a deductible. Even helped me find out how to open the gas cap over the phone.

Enterprise Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1957, Enterprise has more than 7,000 locations across Europe and North America.

• Free customer pickup: While it has locations at most airports, Enterprise also offers to pick up its rental car customers at no extra charge, saving renters the cost of cabs or shuttle services.

• Online reservations: Book a rental car online in just a few minutes using the interactive form on the Enterprise website or app. Automatically generated confirmations make it easy to verify and alter reservations any time Enterprise is open.

• Business rental program: Businesses can offer employee discounts or negotiate flat-rate costs through the Enterprise Business Rental Program. Enterprise helps employers save on reimbursement with a quick calculator to determine the expenses of reimbursement versus rental costs.

• Long-term rentals: The Month-or-More Rental plan is an option for temporary reassignments or while waiting for an employee vehicle.

• Many makes and models: Enterprise offers more than two-dozen categories of vehicles, including everything from economy cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Discounts: Weekend specials, a points program and email offers can lower your rental costs.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Mint Cars On-Demand is a convenient program that is needed for short-term rentals of a variety of vehicles 24/7. Enterprise Rideshare connects groups of five or more riders wanting to save time and money while reducing stress on the way to work. Riders can choose how to get to their destination in a newer van, crossover or SUV.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Enterprise Rent A Car Company Information