1.36/5
Based on 402 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 20, 2018

2801 Enterprise Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2018

$150 for a compact car on a Thursday in Astoria queens!?! I could LEASE a car for that price. It is in no way competitive and is plain old extortion. And then when you call customer service to see if they will notice the problem and help you, instead you get dismissive brain dead middle finger from Mel (**) who don’t help you, antagonize you and basically say get lost before hanging up on you. The woman I called after was equally rude and dismissive. Maybe it was a Sunday and this was a B Team but you lost a customer for life. Your employees are sketchy and have made me feel like crap, and done everything they can to NOT help me. Shame on you and anyone who works for you. NO ONE SHOULD EVER USE ENTERPRISE!!! THEY DONT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I used Enterprise from my hometown I guess that was my problem. However, I drove to Kansas City and my wife has plans and my daughter and I plan to go Worlds of Fun. I reserved my car for 3 pm however, I got stuck in road construction and got there at 4:30. I had a debit card, you need to use a credit card, well I don't use credit cards. So then you need 2 types of identification, a pay stub and utility bill. Nowhere on their site does it say you need these items. Well I do not carry these items around with me when I go on a road trip, I am 4 hours from home so it's not like I can bebop and go pick them back up. He also told me they would have to be local address anyway. WTH. How do you rent a car from the airport? The clerk had an attitude, because when I was leaving I asked him he needs to put that on his website and he said that he was a peasant and that was below his pay grade.

So I ask to speak to his manager, he told me what it was but I do not have a pen on me and ask him to write it down for me. He said, "You can't remember it, it's Jared." Finally his other associated blond haired lady says, "I help you" and was polite as ever and gave me his name and number at the other location down the road. I called Jared and he seemed just as rude also, I kept my cool, did not get snotty with him even though I wanted to. He said they were on his site. I looked up Enterprise's website. Nope. Nowhere does it say these requirements, it does say it may require additional info if using debit cards but it's not specific. Long story short, now I have to go do Uber.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Renting from Enterprise seems to be cheap, easy and offer more car availability for this industry. The problem with renting here is the BULLYING that happens right at the counter. The high pressure sales on purchasing their insurance has been a threatening procedure that the goes along with trying to rent a car. Long story short, he said he wouldn’t rent us a car because I refused their insurance. But he had a bad attitude behind all that and I believe he was a bit prejudice because we were not of ** ethnicity. I know there are more people out there that have been bullied into purchasing their insurance even though you didn’t have to... Something wrong with this picture. This is unacceptable behavior and is unethical. I had to enter a star to write this review, however, if I was able to, I would put a negative sign in front of 10 stars.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had a reservation for today...went to pick up rental car around 2:30 p.m. and was told I needed a MAJOR credit card (which I have never used with them). They refused to take one of my 3 debit cards, refused to take cash...I called the corporate office THREE different times and the agents, they were polite and very apologetic. They told me that the McHenry office should have taken my debit card. Then they told me to get a postal money order, which I did. I took the money order to the McHenry, Illinois rental office, my wife was logging on to get 2 utility bills for them, then the agent told me that he couldn't take a money order. We called corporate back, and the agent told me, that she would make the call as they could have taken the money order, I also called a relative to use their credit card and the agent at the McHenry office said he couldn't take it without seeing it in person.

I went BACK to the McHenry rental office and the agent then told me that he couldn't take a postal money order, after 3 agents at corporate had told me they would take it. The FINAL time I went in to the McHenry rental office, the agent had my wife go online to get 2 utility bills AGAIN, then as she was doing that, he left the room and went to another office and when he came out he said he called his area manager and she told him they would NOT take my money order. I will NEVER use Enterprise again!! Just imagine if we flown someplace and were able to get a rental car!! DON'T EVER USE ENTERPRISE...WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER...and they say they treat their customers like family. With family members like them...who needs enemies??

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have booked 4 different reservations with Enterprise and all 4 times I have gotten a call from Enterprise stating they had no cars available. I have yet to ever get a car! What's the point of making a reservation and holding it with a credit card if you don't even have the ** car? Also, the phone call was never received until an hour or half hour before pick up time of the rental, 30 mins to an hour is NOT enough time to find another car or find another option to get a ride to get to where you need go! I ended up being late for all 3 work meetings and missed one completely. I will NEVER try to book another reservation through these lying crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have many bad experiences with Enterprise. Some of us only have a $200 credit limit. Yesterday on Mother's Day I had a reservation. I waited over an hour. As I was leaving they said $200 deposit. It was not mentioned at all. No one does that except Enterprise. They left me stranded on the front stairs. Why can't you give your so called valued customers the respect (all other rental companies I have done business with have) to tell them what is being held on their credit card. That is disrespectful and terrible customer service.

Every time you order something online don't you want to know what they are taking from your card? Enterprise doesnt care about people. They care about money. As far as the commercial they will pick you up. That is nonsense. I tried twice before when I had a broken vehicle and they DID not pick me up. It didnt matter to them that I was stranded. To prove my point why are there only available rentals for Enterprise and all others are sold out. I would love for you to let the consumers know the disregard Enterprise has for them. Thank you.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I was at my local BMW dealership, Braman BMW off of 2901 Okeechobee Blvd. in West Palm Beach, FL. My car was in for a service and I was to receive a complimentary loaner. I was signing plenty of documents at the Service Advisor's desk, all detailing that my car was to be serviced at no charge and then came the walk over to the Enterprise desk. I was told nothing additional and only after waiting a bit longer in the service lounge while the loaner car was to be prepped, I was handed some keys, shown the car, and told that it needs to be returned with half a tank or more of gas.

I had the car for just two days while my BMW was serviced, literally drove it home and then back - that's it. I was also charged $150 as a 'deposit' for this car. A bit flustered and caught off guard, I called up Enterprise immediately when I got home and was told this deposit was due to lack of credit history and not to worry as it would be completely refunded upon return of the vehicle. After return of the vehicle, gas was at the proper amount and car was still as clean as it was when I picked it up- so zero issues, right.

Now then comes my problem: Enterprise refunds half of the $150 and keeps the other half, saying that BMW had me sign some sort of insurance waiver detailing that I would pay for an optional package. I told them none of this was detailed to me and since this was a complimentary loaner where no issues took place, I expect a full refund. I was told not to worry, that this was being forwarded to the regional manager by the customer service representative while on the phone with Enterprise. That was the first call... It has been well over a month, I have called each week and been told the exact same thing. Each time- the customer service rep looks at the previous logs of the situation and can see nothing added after my initial "half refund". This is obvious to me that the customer service representatives are dropping the ball and making a mockery of this entire business.

Today I had contacted them once again in order to receive the contract that I supposedly signed. I never saw this contract prior to today (May 14, 2018), I have attached it as my receipt. This paperwork was never provided to me prior to me requesting it today from Enterprise's "Escalation Sppt Coordinator". I received digital copy via email. This is my first time dealing with Enterprise and it is one of the worst customer experiences I've ever had with any company. ever. It feels like lies piled on lies with this company and I am saddened to have to write such a terrible review. This is not the kind of energy that I like to surround myself with. I still have hope that the company can properly reconcile, I'm still completely open to the idea. Just looking for my money back. I don't want anyone's job, I just want what is right to be done.

Original review: May 10, 2018

On April 20th I went online to rent a car in Tel Aviv. With over 35 years of dealing with what I thought was one of the best run companies in America I'd ever dealt with. I checked Enterprise. They offered ridiculously low rates which I found hard to believe. I called & made a reservation and was quoted 126.33 for a 12 day rental. THEN, the agent tells me there will be "other charges" at the desk in Tel Aviv. I told her I didn't want any surprises and would like to know NOW what the cost would be. After holding for a brief while, she come back and tells me 296.79 (Rental, $3/day additional driver and collision and theft insurance).

The next day, I get a confirmation from their "representative" in Tel Aviv (Eldan) with a bill for $420 in which they added a $39 airport fee and $242 MANDATORY liability insurance coverage. I call back to customer service to find out what's going on. Spoke with a guy named Sean (855-266-9565) who eventually transferred me to Brenda in "international escalation". She tells me she will get "someone on it". While I'm speaking with Brenda, my confirmation number doesn't show anything. After she checks a bit, she finds the original agent made my reservation for April instead of May, and it cancelled. Had to do it all over again.

This person (Andre) wasted 3 days of my time with not having gotten a single result. His solution to my frustration was that if I felt I wasn't being "handled" properly I could deal with someone else. I told him I no longer wanted to deal with him. On 5/3 I call back and get Brenda again. She, and everyone else is so insincerely apologetic for wasting my time, frustrating and aggravating me. But that's what they are TRAINED to do. She's surprised that the "system" or the agents don't know about the $39 airport fee or the mandatory coverage. She offered me 3 days free domestic rental for my troubles. She tells me someone will get back to me within 3 business days.

They came and went. On 5/8 I spoke with Karen. She had NO INFORMATION about my issues when I gave her my reservation number. She told me that the mandatory insurance was refundable upon return of the vehicle. I asked if she could send them to me in writing and she said no. I was highly skeptical this was true and found out today that it was not. I called today and wasted another hour speaking to 3 people. I tried and made it extremely clear that I wanted to speak with a VP in charge of customer relations but always got routed back to customer service. I ended up with Derek, who gave me another number (**) which got me to Lisa.

During our conversation she mistakenly used the word tenements instead of tenets to describe "Enterprises' standards". I politely tried to inform her of her misuse of the word and was immediately chastised for doing so. "Well, EXCUSE ME!" I told her that I sent an e-mail to Eldan in Tel Aviv to ask them directly about the situation as no one here in the US could get this done in nearly 3 weeks, and the e-mail was returned. I used the same address that Eldan used when contacting me with their quote. Lisa's solution was for ME to CALL Tel Aviv at my own expense. When I said to her that I felt it was her responsibility to do this, she scoffed at me and did not agree. I will be in Tel Aviv in 5 days and after 3 weeks, I still have no concrete answers. No firm quote. An agent in Israel that has a nonworking e-mail address, and I can't reach a responsible executive.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Enterprise @ 17300 Palmetto Pines Suite A3 Houston, TX 77032 - The customer service was horrible. I had forgotten my Driver's license but had an ID. Told them, "Can my partner rent the car instead," and we were turned down by the supervisor for being gay just because I was going to pay with my Debit card despite we have the same last name and I had a previous account with them. They lost a customer for life.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Best Carrier I have ever worked with - Before booking with Enterprise, I had a nightmare experience shipping my car out west. Two different companies with shady people, promises that weren't kept, phone calls and emails not returned. When it was time for my car to be sent back East, I found Rena and Enterprise Auto Transport. She explained the nuts and bolts of the business, and why this happened to me. She promised me she would do her best to make sure things went smoothly. She answered all my calls and emails promptly and when trouble did arise (not her fault) she reimbursed me out of HER OWN POCKET. She is a model for this industry, which so often takes advantage of the customer. I cannot say enough good things about her and her company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

220 Broadway in Huntington - I made reservation to pick up my rental and I gave my driver license with a credit card as requested. However I was told they had to do an address verification thru their system. They kept saying the addresses didn’t match. I called my bank on speaker phone and they can hear the bank verifying my address. They still didn’t let rent the car. I end up making another reservation with Enterprise and pick up my rental with the same documents.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Be VERY careful in dealing with the Winter Haven, Florida office! I inadvertently left my credit card in their office. On 3 separate occasions afterward they admitted by phone that they had my card and promised to mail it to me. They never did! I don't yet know whether this is criminal activity or not, but it's troubling. BEWARE.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I picked up my rental car while the branch was super busy, and the "inspection" of my vehicle took less than 30 seconds and I was told to look for damage "larger than a dollar bill" before I was nicely asked to move out of the way to make room for other vehicles. The vehicle very dirty both inside and out - I brushed what looked like granola bar crumbs off the driver's seat and found a smashed piece of gum still on the wrapper on the floor. The exterior of the car was covered in dirt and pollen. I asked for another car, but they said this was the only one they had that was covered by my insurance. I drove the car very minimally - the longest trip was to go to the dealership where I purchased my new car which is quite far. Otherwise the car sat in my gated parking area. This is evident by the low miles put on the car while I had it.

The day before I returned the car a crack appeared at the bottom of the windshield coming from a small chip way down at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the body of the car. The chip itself is barely noticeable, maybe half the size of a dime. There is no chance anything hit the windshield without me knowing, this chip was clearly there before I picked the car up but was too small to notice. I pointed out the chip and the crack to the agent when I returned the car because it was clear it wasn't my fault. Now the agent wants to charge me a lot of money to have the entire windshield replaced! I can't believe it! If I had known I would be held accountable for this, I would have never pointed it out and the agent would have never seen it!

If Enterprise intended to charge its customers so much for these repairs, the inspection should be more explicit and happen on a clean car where damage like this can be seen. Additionally, we should be warned that chips in the windshield, even if they are much, much smaller than their "dollar bill" rule are our responsibility. I thought I was doing the right thing by pointing this damage out to the agent, because this damage is clearly not my fault. I feel like this is a scam?

Original review: May 6, 2018

Enterprise car rental took 1154.51 out of my account for a car rental, taking 2 large amounts a day or every 2 days from my debit card, all for different amounts. Charged me for insurance I told them I did not need! Could not explain why all of the 12 debits they charged me were all different amounts! Gave me a price and charged me something totally different!!! Took every penny I had in bank, including my savings! I am devastated and broke! I have no money to pay my bills! HELP! They are liars and crooks!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I received a rental from the dealership when my car had a default under the warranty. The dealership was taking care of the charges because my vehicle is certified pre-owned. When getting the car I was told that I would have to pay for insurance which was $40 a day, unless I had full coverage. I stated I think I did and they needed to call and verify with my insurance company. The insurance company had Enterprise on hold for about fifteen minutes before Enterprise just decided they would check later if I had the proper coverage and if I didn't they would charge me the forty. Ok sounds good right?

So they did take a $50 deposit right off the bat. Ok, still fine. When I pick up the car they ask me to sign for the $40 per day. I had the car a total of seven days because the dealership making repairs on my vehicle took their time doing it, I guess. I told Enterprise when I picked up the car I was informed I wouldn't have to pay the $40 if I had full coverage currently. He said I signed to pay the forty dollars. I told him, "I can't. I just had a transmission replaced on my car and didn't have the money now." I stated, "Maybe I would have it by the next Friday." So on Friday they debited my account $256.40.

I didn't sign for the charges when dropping the car off and without calling me first on the day of. When I called the supervisor said that they could only refund $90. I told her I brought the car back and that I was told I wouldn't be charged unless I didn't have full coverage, but I did. So now after all this they will not refund the remaining balance and it's just wrong. I can't believe this company. I will never be back to Enterprise for treating me like this. So in total I was charged $306.40-$90= $216.40 that they still owe me. I want my refund as this is unacceptable. Communication is key in the workplace and the communication between employees is non existent.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2018

My wife was involved in an accident. No one was hurt but her car could not be driven and my wife needed a car to get to work and run errands. We called our insurance company, who recommended a different rental company, but Enterprise was closer so the insurance company set it up with the Enterprise location in Mabank, Texas. The customer service attendant, Brooke... her card says she is a management trainee (thank goodness their current business model will be extinct before she gets a chance to manage other people for them). Brooke was rude from the beginning of our transaction. She told us that she had no cars available and that there were 5 people in front of us. She stated that we were sixth in line and IF another vehicle was returned she would give us a call, otherwise she MIGHT have one the following day.

We needed the car immediately so we told her that we would leave that reservation open while we looked for another rental car. We told her that we would call and update her if we were able to find another rental car available immediately. After calling the Enterprise reservation line, we were told that the location in Athens, Texas had plenty of cars available. We called the insurance company to move the rental reservation to the Athens location. After driving for 35 minutes to the Athens location, we walk in and the customer service rep tells us they do not have any cars and don't know when they might have a car available. When I spoke with the regional manager he blew it off and just explained that "the national reservation system has no idea if a location actually has any cars at any particular time." Try to figure that comment out for yourself... I can't.

We head back to Mabank and call the insurance company to transfer the reservation back to the Mabank location. We stopped in to talk to Brooke again... And were told again that we might get a car if one became available. She would call us with an update. We drove to Dallas to get my wife to work. Brooke called around 3:30 and said she had a car available but it would have to be picked up by 5:30. My wife requested that the car be held until 8 the next morning because we were unable to get back to Mabank before 5:30. Brooke said she would extend us the courtesy but if we weren't there at 8 the car would be gone. We arrived at 8 and Brooke began filling out the information sheet. Again her attitude was shockingly rude and uncalled for... especially for a customer service representative that is training for a management position.

As she asked my wife the questions, the 4th or 5th question was what is a second phone number to contact you... My wife told her that was the only telephone number she had. Brooke told her that she needed another number or we could go rent a car somewhere else. Just crazy rudeness for no reason. A couple of questions later Brooke asked where the car was located. My wife simply asked her why she needed the information and Brooke replied that she had 25 or so questions she needed answered and that if my wife didn't want to answer them she could take her business elsewhere. Again, for a customer service representative... just crazy rudeness. My wife of course became offended at her constant rude and demeaning tone so she asked for her supervisor's phone number. Suffice to say it went downhill from there.

During this process, Brooke went outside the building to talk to her supervisor. She was yelling at her supervisor on the phone, people inside the building could hear her tone and were surprised as we were at her rudeness to her superiors. Brooke is the rudest person I have come in contact within 20 years. She is not an asset to Enterprise, she is a detriment. If you go to reviews of the Mabank office on the Enterprise website you will find that we are one of many with this same experience with Brooke. STAY AWAY... She is toxic.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I reserved a car with Enterprise more than a week ago, to pick up tomorrow at a specific time. I got an email with a confirmation number and a reminder email today. I called the local location (this is in a small rural area with only one location) to confirm and they said they "might" have a car for me. They also said that if they had a car I "might" have to be patient and wait. The chances of actually getting the kind of car I reserved are slim indeed. I called corporate and they called the regional manager who said he cannot guarantee the reservation. What kind of company is this? The reservation and confirmation number mean nothing. Never again. The individuals I talked to were friendly and tried to help. The problem is the corporation, not these poor people who work for it.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I will never rent from them again. I will not take this review down. You can't compensate me for this much abuse. We simply wanted a car for one day, rent it in the morning, return it in the evening, simple, right? I made a reservation for 10 am, at 940 am. I was confirmed a budget car. We arrived 10 minutes after ten. We started the ridiculously long process of REDOING EVERYTHING and them trying to upsell the car by offering us 4, 5 different option. Makes you seriously wonder why you go through all these options only if they're just going to make you re-do it all at the counter? Then they tell us they don't have an economy car (There's a lot full of them within eye view) But they're going to go over to some Firestone and grab an upgrade. We told them we were in a hurry right off the bat.

I will never rent from them again. I will not take this review down. You can't compensate me for this much abuse. We simply wanted a car for one day, rent it in the morning, return it in the evening, simple, right? I made a reservation for 10 am, at 940am. I was confirmed a budget car. We arrived 10 minutes after ten. We started the ridiculously long process of REDOING EVERYTHING and them trying to upsell the car by offering us 4,5 different option. Makes you seriously wonder why you go through all these options only if they're just going to make you re-do it all at the counter? Then they tell us they don't have an economy car (There's a lot full of them within eye view) But they're going to go over to some Firestone and grab an upgrade. We told them we were in a hurry right off the bat.

This is 15 minutes into the "Event", we go outside to wait, because we were told "just a few minutes". We went back inside after 20 minutes and were told, "any second now, it's just being finished cleaning." Finally the car arrives two guys in it. It's clearly dirty! The side passenger gets out and says "I just want to make sure the trunk closes." HUH? She comes out to go over the car and we ask has this car been in an accident? "Well I see it has a bunch of issues listed" I say the car's dirty, what were you doing the whole time? She blamed it on us "rushing them", also the not having a car available? That was because we only just booked the car. Everything was our fault? I work with psychiatry and their constant habit of turning the question back on the questioner is clearly a sociopath trait.

This is when she copped an attitude and said "I'm not comfortable renting to you anymore." I said to her, "You better be the CEO's daughter, or start looking for a new job." The car had so much dust on it clearly it had to be sitting for days. The front passenger seat had dirt like a kid with dirty shoes had put their feet underneath them while riding. The trunk door wasn't sitting right, one side high, the other low. We went to a rival car rental place and literally were out the door and driving away in less than 10 minutes. I mentioned to the clerk we had had a nightmare experience with Enterprise and she correctly guessed the location and said "that's all I ever hear about them, complaints."

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have always admired Enterprise for their customer service, but Aaron ** and Wes ** do not reflect the company values as Mr. Taylor intended. I always rent cars for my company but today most of the credit card companies will not issue cards only with the business name so that it can be used by different employees. I called and I was told by a female attendant over the phone that I needed to be present because the business card had my name on it so that I could pay, to my surprise when I arrived I was told that even though I was not the driver I had to pay for two drivers. I said it was not necessary but they insisted they needed to charge me for two drivers because the credit card was in my name. I was not even going on the trip, I was not a driver. This is robbery.

I think policies are policies and you have to respect them and had I been given an explanation and treated decently I would have simply said, "No. Thank you," and rented elsewhere, but the way the attendant talked to me was beyond rude. She did not even let me finish my sentences. She was very disrespectful and when I asked for a manager, to my surprise, he was just like the employee, a very disrespectful person. I will never rent from the Phillips Hwy location in Jacksonville, Florida again unless these two employees find a new job or move to a different company.

I love the United States because you have other businesses to choose from and you can spend your well earned money somewhere else, so this is what I intend to do since Enterprise apparently doesn't have the same values at each location. I would hope that you care about your customers, and work hard to explain and work with them, but that didn't happen here and I am very disappointed. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I always use Enterprise for all of my work rentals (government employee who travels often). Some rentals have been 30 plus days. This review is for my rental for a personal trip with my husband. He is tall and likes to drive in a pickup truck. When we arrived at the West Palm Beach Airport location there was a truck available so he asked if we could upgrade and the sales attendant said sure and he would only upcharge us 10.95 a day instead of the 30 it usually is for a truck. The lot was extremely busy, a lot of arrivals picking up cars and he was very rushed.

We did the walk around and I was the one who brought to his attention there was damage to the passenger side and he said, "Ok I will mark it." He was very courteous and friendly and made us feel comfortable saying he was from Freehold NJ which is near our hometown, but he also rushed us through the paperwork and he left. Now mind you I use Enterprise all the time and never have had any trouble. We were set up to return the vehicle to Tampa airport as there were no flights home from West Palm as the airline we used was no longer flying (which is why they were so busy. It was the last day Spirit flew to West Palm airport till the next season).

When we arrived to the Tampa location and the attendant began the inspection they said those are dents. The paperwork says scratches. We said, "How is it our fault that the attendant in West Palm views the damage different than your opinion. Also the pickup lot was outdoors in bright sun. The drop off location was indoors with overhead lighting. Damage can appear different. Also please tell me what are the odds of damage happening in the exact same place." I mean really. Now I receive a letter from Enterprise asking if I reported this damage to my insurance or they will be invoicing me.

I called and said I dispute these accusations as the damage was noted by the first attendant and we did not cause any damage, I additionally sent an email asking for time stamped photos of the vehicle from right before I picked it up. I myself did not take photos but also all the years I have been renting I never have. But you can bet I will start video taping from now on. I guess I have always been too trusting, being the kind of person I am and my job, I work in a field where I sacrifice my time for others so I always believe everyone is as honest as me and does what’s right.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been renting from Enterprise due to my company policy. Each time I have shown up at the desk, the clerks asked me if I wanted the fuel option. The exact words they say are: "We charge $1 per gallon less than the gas station across the street." As I was on a tight schedule this trip, I finally chose to take the option. What I discovered later was that they did not add "...and we charge for a full tank, regardless of how much fuel you use." This is tantamount to lying to customers - really bad business! I can't say I won't go back as my company requires me to use them. But I certainly will not use them for personal rentals, and I won't be fooled again by this lie!

Original review: May 1, 2018

My reservation was to pick up a rental car this morning, on arriving to Enterprise in Dublin, CA I was greeted and proceeded to give the employee my drivers license and credit card. To my surprise I was requested to give additional identification, since I've been using Enterprise for over 25 years it was surprising, so I gave 2 additional credit cards, AAA card, Costco card and a payroll check with my information. The employee than indicated that I needed a PG&E bill, what? I was thoroughly beside myself, I don't carry or even receive a PG&E paper bill. Since I was under a time crunch I called AVIS and less than 10 minutes of walking I was handed keys to car and on my way. This location is the only Enterprise location that required such a bizarre request. Hopefully they get their act together.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Was recently in a no fault accident with an Enterprise car during very slippery road conditions. Car was sliding and couldn't be stopped. Put a small dent in their rental car which was being driven by a woman who had slid down a hill and gone sideways so was in the roadway. Policeman deemed the incident no fault and cited bad road conditions. Enterprise came after me for the entirety of the $3000 repairs stating their report indicated I was negligent and responsible. I contacted my insurance company and they told me they were denying payment to Enterprise since I was not at fault.

Enterprise has harassed me via email, mail and phone stating that my insurance denied payment because I have no coverage which makes no sense. Now they are threatening to send collections after me if I don't pay in 10 days. This is predatory, aggressive and threatening not to mention a scam since they would accept money they scared out of me even if they did get paid out by insurance. They should be reported to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and I will NEVER rent from them again if at all possible.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I needed to put my car in the shop. Which meant that both of our cars would be down for a couple of days. Our car repair shop, suggested they arrange a rental car for us. They said they have a contract with Enterprise Rental in Stone Mountain, Georgia, and it would only be a $50 deposit to the rental company and then the rental company would bill them. We agreed. I dropped my car off and Enterprise picked me up from the car repair shop and took me to their office. I gave them a $50 deposit with my car and left with the rental. A week later my car was done. I pick up the car and leave my rental with the car repair shop (I called and asked Enterprise first; they confirmed it was an option) paid my invoice of over $1000, and it included the car rental on the itemize invoice. My car runs perfectly, and all is well (I thought).

Enterprise refunds my $50. A month after I have my car back, I notice a charge on my account for $284 from Enterprise. I immediately call Enterprise. They claim my car repair shop has not paid them, so they charged me. I tell them they had no right to charge me because the invoice from them stated I would only be charged a deposit of $50. I call the repair shop and they say Enterprise is lying, that they paid them last month and they have no idea why my card was charged. I called Enterprise back and they say they deposited the money in my account 20 minutes ago and all should be well. Well two weeks has gone by and Enterprise has claimed they mailed a check now.

I called their corporate office, the woman gasped when I told her what happened to me. She said she would report it to the regional office. I call the branch everyday, the two managers have told me it is accounting fault and they are working on it. I told them I called corporate and they said, "Yeah we know." My bank has told me to file a fraud case against them, which I will do today. Corporate nor regional has reached out to me. I feel as if someone stole from me. NEVER EVER use this company, they are unorganized and they have the worst customer service I have ever seen. I will be contacting a lawyer today.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I made a reservation through Expedia for a 2 day rental and declined the insurance. I dropped off after hours. They left a voicemail saying they released the hold on my card and all is good. I never got an invoice. Later I see that they charged me $297 instead of $118. Had a runaround with their branch manager who never apologized about the overcharge and I still haven't gotten the refund. Last time I'll rent from Enterprise.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2018

We travel at minimum 6 times per year and always use a rental car. Chose and even joined their customer program because of their supposed reputable name. Ended up almost 5 times as much as quoted price. Cancelled membership and will never rent from them again. I understand actual cost usually is higher than quote but 5 times? I consider this a scam and it’s with my highest recommendations that you DO NOT ever use this company.

The absolute worst customer service as well after the fact. Just further excuses and justifications. Does not care about their customers. Misleading and dishonest. Mandatory charges should be included in quote if no choice. Quoting a daily rate knowing full well it is not the daily rate is basically lying. Especially when it’s actually almost 5 times more. Once again DO NOT use Enterprise or National Car Rental. I have all receipts and correspondence to confirm and will be mailing to their head office as they offer no other way to contact beyond just local location.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Enterprise Montreal Rue De La Savane - I forgot my PHONE in the SUV I rented for a month and have left Canada. It took me 2 weeks to get a SINGLE reponse. I asked if I can get it sent to Germany where I live, CHRISTOPHER ** told me there was nothing he could do after talking to the manager, I would have to prepay a parcel. I left my insurance in the car which would handle any expenses but I just get IGNORED from Mr **. I also asked to send it to a friend in Toronto but NO ANSWER, they just IGNORE ME. I'm writing reviews posting how I got treated on all social media I got!! What kinda customer service is that? I want my PHONE BACK. IT'S BEEN OVER A MONTH. I NEED IT.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I rented a car from Enterprise in Mount Pleasant, SC. I Paid upfront about $400.00. $200.00 of it was a required deposit. Anyways I called on Saturday a day before the car was due The next day on Sunday to extend that rental for another week till the following Sunday. I had to use a different credit card and Chris was the guy I was working with on the phone, he said I would have to come in with that card to pay. I told him I’ll be up there before they close by 6pm. The cost of the rental was around $220.00 for the week. Anyways my sister has been sick. She had a Brain Aneurysm that she almost died from. I did not make it up because my sister got some kind of internal bleeding and was rushed back into the hospital that day and because of this I could not go up and pay the money to Enterprise.

Well needless to say Chris used up the 200 deposit in fees instead of on my extension. I called him up and spoke with him and he could not explain where the 200 went. "It was just gone," he kept telling me. I asked him gone where, he could not tell me where it went, that it was Just gone he kept saying, later I come to find out it’s on Late fees. So he charged me 200 bucks in fees instead of extending my lease with the 200 bucks. So Chris is now demanding around 509 dollars from me at this time. I had the car less than two weeks at the time. So he was trying to get almost $1,000 dollars from for total in renting a car for less than a week and half.

Then he also was blowing up my phone, my mom's and my sick sister's phone about every 5 mins harassing me and my family. I talked to a lady and told her he is going to land my sister back in the hospital that she got out of. I had talked and communicated with the location and customer service that I was not paying all those late fees. I talked With a couple people and said I was turning in the car shortly to another location as I did not want to deal with Chris on the Jonny Dobs location in Mount Pleasant, SC and someone needs to go over the bill with me and I was not paying all that. Well Chris was then telling me and my family he is filing a police report on me and reporting the car stolen. I had a terrible experience with them. I will make sure I let as many people know what kind of company this is.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am writing this review because I have been trying to get an overcharge returned since 11/10/17. I have called the branch manager numerous times and I have basically been told too bad. He gave me their regional manager's email. No response and in recent calls to them I found out that she has been out on Leave for some time - no other explanation. What else can I do?

About a month ago I was in a serious vehicle accident, my insurance/Progressive arranged that I pick up a rental from your 2601 South Federal Hwy, Ft. Lauderdale location (next to the Mercedes dealership). Upon arriving at 11:30am your staff was discussing what to get for lunch on the other side of the counter while I nicely stood there waiting to be acknowledged. A young man, by the name of Austin finally asked how he could help and so I informed him as to why I was there. He started looking my info in your systems while a young lady kept interrupting with lunch questions. He finally said asked me to have a seat and that they would bring a vehicle around for me to which I asked if it could be a larger vehicle as I was just in an accident and I would feel more comfortable. He said "let me see what I can do!"

I waited along with an elderly couple that arrived after me waited for one and half hours for vehicles to be brought from another location. Finally Austin came to me and said "do you want the Equinox or the Journey" - which looked larger so I said I'll take it. We walked to the vehicle where I loaded my belongings and he circled the vehicle recording any scratched on the note pad he was holding. He then handed me the note pad and asked me to initial in two different places saying that its just stating "I'm driving off with the vehicle." So I did and off I was.

A week prior to returning the vehicle I had noticed several charges in the $100 range - I called the branch and I was told that Progressive was late in making the second round of payments but not to worry that the charges will be returned once progressive made the payments. Upon returning the vehicle I was pleasantly surprised to see Austin again at the desk who was going to check me out. He pulled my file and mentioned some charges, I explained that I was aware and that I had spoken to someone about them and understand that they would be returned to me once Progressive pays.

He then to my surprise mentioned a variance that I owed due to having upgraded the vehicle and that progressive only paid $30/day, the rest is my responsibility to which I said to him that can't be, 1st I called him out on never having disclosed that there would be a variance, 2nd that's something I would have discussed with my husband before committing to pay an additional fee, 3rd we have another vehicle I could have driven - I was taking the rental for mileage reasons and 4th I still wasn't aware what the difference was ($5, $10, $30, $100/day????). He finally said $10... I became very upset, I feel mislead and taken advantage of. It was near 6pm also the time I had to pick up my vehicle from the autoshop and since after Austin spoke to a tall gentleman in the back and still didn't provide me with a resolution other then to say the fee will be pending and not charged but to call the manager - he handed me Andrew ** business card.

I left, life got busy and I genuinely forgot all about it until I saw a $495.47 10.31.2017 from Enterprise on my credit card. The first day I called, a manager wasn't available but was told to call back the following day. I did and spoke to Andrew 11.09.17 at 5pm who basically said there's "nothing he can do about it, its been a long time, maybe if the charge was of a smaller figure he could do the refund and that I should look at the e-bill that was sent to me to see what it says." I didn't remember ever receiving an e-bill but yes I finally located it last night and there's no way even if I had seen it that I would have been able to determine that some of the charges were my responsibility.

Maybe to the trained Enterprise staff it makes sense but not I - remember no one took the time to explain this bill to me while at the branch. Andrew recommended I locate the bill and that he would call me back tomorrow i.e. today 11.10.17 at 8am, I agreed being that he didn't seem very compassionate. This morning came and passed and no call from Andrew, so at 1pm I called the branch only to find out he was on his day off. How convenient. I have to tell you that every time I called I was given the runaround and there seems to be a lot of covering up. No one has been forthcoming, transparent nor following through on their job duties - not Austin and certainly not Andrew which is concerning as he is the manager. I hope to hear from you and hopefully you are able to bring this matter to a resolution! I hope to hear from you and hopefully you are able to bring this matter to a resolution!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Enterprise Rent A Car Fresno - After receiving a rental from auto insurance Enterprise stated that I owed them money that the insurance company didn't pay. Enterprise stated that I owed $500. Without telling me Enterprise attempted to pull the $500 from my account. Since I had less than $500 Enterprise pulled $200 and then $100 until my card declined. What they did here was despicable and criminal behavior. Just like how criminals who steals your card and tries to get all they can before getting caught or money runs out. Enterprise should had billed me. I reported to that branch manager but he condoned the actions and stated they could do that. So I filed a complaint with corporate. I will update everyone once I hear back. Beware when handing these crooks your card. Now I'm afraid to use any cards now. So upset.

Enterprise Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1957, Enterprise has more than 7,000 locations across Europe and North America.

• Free customer pickup: While it has locations at most airports, Enterprise also offers to pick up its rental car customers at no extra charge, saving renters the cost of cabs or shuttle services.

• Online reservations: Book a rental car online in just a few minutes using the interactive form on the Enterprise website or app. Automatically generated confirmations make it easy to verify and alter reservations any time Enterprise is open.

• Business rental program: Businesses can offer employee discounts or negotiate flat-rate costs through the Enterprise Business Rental Program. Enterprise helps employers save on reimbursement with a quick calculator to determine the expenses of reimbursement versus rental costs.

• Long-term rentals: The Month-or-More Rental plan is an option for temporary reassignments or while waiting for an employee vehicle.

• Many makes and models: Enterprise offers more than two-dozen categories of vehicles, including everything from economy cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Discounts: Weekend specials, a points program and email offers can lower your rental costs.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Mint Cars On-Demand is a convenient program that is needed for short-term rentals of a variety of vehicles 24/7. Enterprise Rideshare connects groups of five or more riders wanting to save time and money while reducing stress on the way to work. Riders can choose how to get to their destination in a newer van, crossover or SUV.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Enterprise Rent A Car Company Information