1.36/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2991 Enterprise Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have rented cars from the Cary office on Team Hendrick Way. Never thought about the customer service until yesterday when I took an SUV back and was retrieving my car and it wouldn't start, the Manager Sam tried to help me jump it but something was really wrong. I had no way home, so Sam and Stephanie put me and my daughter in a car and we were on our way. I just want to thank them for going above and beyond in an uncomfortable situation.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Totaled my car. Need a rental. Insurance company paid for 12 days. After the insurance was done paying I had to pay out of pocket for 3 days. Which was fine because it was $52 a day. Therefore I was told my total for 3 days would be $170. When I brought the car back they charged me $263!!! They lied, I had to max out my credit card to pay it. They are crooks. They tell you one thing then charge you twice as much. They take advantage of people in need and that disgusts me. Never, never, never use them. I used the one in Hudson NY.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Set up a rental through Costco Travel. Was sent an email confirmation. This was a few days before the designated pickup date. Went down to pick up the car at a small office location only to be told there was no rental cars to be had. Tyler (who was the only staff working there) told me that there is an issue with the way the computers show their inventory and that he has no control on his end to update that information. BAD business practice. After emailing the district manager and calling repeatedly, have had NO follow up to my concerns. Do NOT rent cars from this company.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I called this office to inquire about a car rental and a pickup as they advertise "we'll even pick you up". I was told by the office in Marathon Florida that they don't do pickups as they're an airport location. Enterprise is deceitful in their advertisements about this as there is no disclaimer in the commercials about this. I went ahead and made an online reservation on Saturday, November tenth and was called Monday morning on the twelfth saying they don't have any cars and they would let me know if one became available??? No time frame whatsoever. Still no call from them and Patty, the lady at the local office was very rude and disrespectful and had a "too bad for you" attitude. This was a confirmed reservation.

How can a company reserve a car for you not knowing if you will be able to get one? Why even bother with a reservation? Completely unethical and fraudulent business practices and will be filing complaint with Federal and Local agencies. I've traveled literally thousands of miles for this vacation and now have no way to get around. Enterprise should have Federal charges brought against them for being so deceitful and the local office should terminate the lady I spoke too as she has no customer service skills whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Enterprise please penalize those drivers that smoke in your vehicles. You have no smoking stickers posted in your cars but this is not being honored and the cars are not being cleaned enough to get rid of the smell. Approximately 1 year ago. I rented a car that smelled of cigarette smoke. I had no idea How badly it would affect me until the next morning when I was unable to go to work. I had a severe allergic reaction to the smell left in the car by a driver who refused to obey the rules. Today, I had to turn down a car because it was filthy and smelled of smoke. You can do better Enterprise!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I reserved a full size vehicle, when I arrived at Enterprise they told me they only had a Nissan Versa. I need a car to fit 5 This car barely fits 4. I was very disappointed and when I called the reservation line back, they told me that they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. This was very unprofessional, I needed a rental so I couldn't turn down the Versa. Then the reservation line told me I could ask the worker to locate me a full size car. Worst rental ever.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

After being put into a mini van for multiple days with no one willing to switch me out for 20 days I finally got into a nice Toyota to get to my first stop of the day to notice I’m driving a vehicle with expired plates. Customer service told me to call roadside assistance and get towed or get someone to bring me another car. After a hour and half of waiting stuck at a Walmart I had a horrible ride in the tow truck to get to the only open location at the airport. Once there the lady was hesitant to put me into a car but once she did I get into the worst smelling car I’ve ever had to be in. It smells like something died in the car amongst other things I won’t mention here. It runs like crap and the smell had me gagging the entire time I was in it.

My husband called airport location to be told to come back then I get there to meet the ** of the year who was rude and unprofessional as he tells me he won’t help me and then tells me there is nothing wrong with this car... I literally walked out of that location. I had to walk away. Then once he spoke to my husband he proceeded to spray large amount of air freshener all inside the car where my just bought 7 dollar cup of Starbucks was sitting so not only did he refuse to help me he just ruins my coffee. I am so pissed off. What kind of place rents expired tag cars and smelly cars? Enterprise does. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

The assistant Manager came to my home to pick me up and take me to Enterprise Car Hire in Bishop Auckland Co Durham UK. Someone ran into the back of my own car and it had been taken away for repair. The insurance company arranged for a car from Enterprise. The car was much better than I expected to receive. The Assistant Manager Cameron was very helpful and friendly. I am happy to recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My experience renting a car from your company’s Miramar location, was frustrating and the customer service level is very poor that I am compelled to write this letter. I would like to bring to your attention the insurmountable incidents that took place and for this matter to be escalated to the highest level. I have been a customer for years and have been renting on a month to month basis for the past year.

INCIDENT I. On October 10, 2018 I went into the 2150 South State Road 7 location, to rent a vehicle. Mr. ** allowed me to rent a car that was filthy and at the time needed to be serviced. Mr. ** informed me that at the time he does not have any other vehicle. After waiting a few hours for someone else to return a vehicle I had to go into work which I informed Mr. ** which he concurred and informed me that he will call me later that evening to swap vehicles. However, that did not happen.

INCIDENT II. On October 11, 2018 I returned to the Miramar rental branch at approximately 8 o’ clock in the morning and had to wait three hours to get a new vehicle, per usual this location had no other vehicle. Mr. ** proceeded to allow me to rent a vehicle again that needed to be serviced and that is a “buy back” However, he reinstated the vehicle to be rented. Upon entering this vehicle and driving from the location I realized that it was not cleaned and was vibrating uncontrollably on the highway as well as the breaks were dragging. I became frightened since I felt my life was in danger. I pulled over on the side of the highway and called customer service immediately and explained the above.

The customer service agent sent me to the State Rd 84 location and to call beforehand. Upon doing so the customer agent at that location informed me for the third time that the location currently does not have any other vehicle to put me in and despite my circumstances she will call me when a readily available vehicle comes in. To this day I am still waiting for a callback. Shortly after, Mr. ** called to ask me if I went to another location and that he has a car ready for me to switch. I informed Mr. ** that I was currently working and that I will be there shortly.

Upon arriving to switch out the car, Mr. ** has proven his lack of customer service quality by continuing to jeopardize my safety and putting my life in danger by renting me a car with defective tires. Another employee had to advise Mr. ** that he cannot rent a customer a car in that condition. Mr. ** then wanted me to wait another hour, because of his negligence for another vehicle which I refused to do so since I was going to be late for work due to the known inconveniences.

Shortly after, I received a call from **. She did not show any empathy to my situation, but rather concern about another customer, that we both shared the same last name. She then further stated that ** would have a car readily available to me the following morning. INCIDENT III. On October 12, 2018 I went to the Miramar location to wait for a vehicle to switch out for the third time. I had to wait for three hours for a vehicle Ms. ** informed that would be readily available. After waiting for such a long period of time, Mr. ** put me in a Hyundai Sonata.

I also realized that this vehicle had not been cleaned which I brought to Mr. **'s attention and questioned if he had inspected the vehicle before allowing me to rent it. Mr. ** informed me that he did indeed inspect the Hyundai Sonata and will bring air freshener to clean the dirty console and front seats. At this time, I just drove off and my intentions was to go to another location and swap out. Upon doing so I noticed the car was about to shut down, I called Mr. ** outside and informed him how unacceptable and displeased I am with his service. It is evident that Mr. ** did not inspect the vehicle before allowing me to rent since the vehicle was in a deplorable condition.

The back seats had vomit stains. The car, had mechanical issues. Mr. ** told me that he was doing me a favor, and it was a slap in his face to call **. After informing Mr. ** that no favors have been given on my behalf since he continues to put my life and safety in danger by continuing to allow me to rent vehicles that has mechanical and safety issues. Mr. ** became very belligerent and barbaric in front of the other customers and employees by saying “oh you want to play hardball”.

Mr. ** began to make me very uncomfortable and I feared for my life. He then further decided, that he would put me in a car that had an expired tag and his reasoning was that it was an “out of state tag”. I asked him if he realized that I can get pulled over by law enforcement and create a problem for me. I object to the rental and he put me in a Elantra that also needed servicing. After taking into consideration all the above inconveniences and my life was put at risk on many levels I reached out to the corporate office after a month. Mr. Aaron ** Regional Vice President, he lacked empathy and professionalism and offered me $100 off my bill which is $700. This definitely is an insult taking in consideration my life was put at risk on many levels. My experience renting a car from THIS company, was frustrating and the customer service level is very poor that I am compelled to write this letter.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I rented a car from Enterprise on October 10, 2018. At the time of my rental there were difficulties with the debit machine and I ended up being charged twice for my rental. The rep at the location informed me that he could not do a refund with their equipment and that I would have to contact Branch Manager Lindsey ** which I did. She confirmed that there was a double billing and notified me that a cheque had been mailed to compensate me for the mistake... only the cheque never arrived and any future attempts to contact Ms. ** were ignored by her. I then began attempting to deal with the customer service department who notified me that in fact a credit of both the error and the day's rental rate was being credited to my credit card. Again this never happened. Again back to customer service to express my dissatisfaction with the situation now being almost three weeks past since the incident.

I was contacted by Steve **, Regional Manager who was very apologetic and had a cheque couriered to me overnight. The cheque however did not arrive in the amount that was promised. Yet another call to Mr. ** and he assured me a cheque had been mailed and would arrive no later than today, November 8 and not to my surprise no cheque arrived and attempts to speak with Mr. ** have been ignored. It has now been one month of trying to correct an error and have Enterprise keep their commitment to me as a customer.

The level of customer service with Enterprise is sub par, the ignorance of their staff refusing to communicate with their customers especially when the error was on their part is inexcusable. I would not recommend Enterprise car rental to anyone because of their lack of customer service and professionalism. They do not value their customers nor do they act in a manner that is consumer friendly. They will take your money and give you the runaround...period!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Rented a vehicle from Jacksonville, Fl. downtown for a one way to Atl. Pick up and was upgraded after have done the reservation a week in advance. Pick up the vehicle at noon and headed to Atl. Arrive at my hotel the same day. Stayed at a hotel and turn in the vehicle at the airport in the morning. Took a plane to the Caribbean at noon in Atl the same day. A day later I check the credit card and was charge 289.00 when the contract was 94.10. I made all the question since is my habit to ask for any hidden charges or deposit. The deposit was 250.00. That was to be returned when I return the vehicle. I have rented from them for the last 40 yrs but from now on I go someplace else. It's always been a problem renting from Enterprise. Alamo, National and Enterprise are the same company. Stay away from them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I recently traveled to Germany and rented a car from Enterprise through Expedia. Upon arriving, Enterprise refused to honor the price of my Expedia reservation even though I had the itinerary in writing with me. My reservation also stated that all fees and charges were included but Enterprise charged me 42% airport fee and they lied to me stating that I had to purchase insurance through them even though I already had coverage. All in all, not only did they not honor my reservation agreement, they charged me almost triple the fee! I can't believe they take advantage of tourists in this manner.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I rented a car following an accident. I used it for two weeks while my car was being repaired. I returned it and they said I cracked the driver rocker panel. I barely drove the car, I used a half a tank in 16 days. I did not hit anything. They wanted my ins deductible of $1000 now. I called my insurance and they said not to pay. I told them that and the manager said I would be placed on a never able to rent from them or Alamo. I said I wanted my ins adjustor to look at the "damage". She said they work with their own people. She said they wouldn't rent a car with this damage (The same damage I couldn't see). So they wanted my money but not my insurance, this is yet to be resolved. When I rented the car it was the only one the lot other than an SUV. They gave me an agreement on a tablet in the outside sun. They emailed me the contract, but there are no pre-existing pictures. I didn't think to take pictures, maybe because I was just in an accident.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

When we picked up the auto, there was an hour delay because paperwork was not taken care of as promised from the day before. The auto was dirty, with a film on the inside of the windows. Finger smudges on the windows. The seats were dirty with spots on the front and back seats. Smelled of smoke. The windshield was cracked, and there was a bad vibration when driving. This was a 2018 Silverado with 31,000 plus miles. Definitely needed shocks. The worst vehicle I have ever experienced. This was at the Enterprise, Town East Ford Dealership in Mesquite, Texas. This in no way reflects on the dealership. Their repair work was excellent. I have used this dealership many times and this Enterprise is very convenient, but next time, I will probably use another rental and have them pick me up.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Filled gas tank before I returned car after hours. Later got billed a gas charge on my credit card. They said tank was half full. Have receipt for gas. They say it doesn't prove it's a receipt for filling their car. They say people tell them that all the time. Would not remove gas charge. Please, people don't return car after hours or you may receive same treatment. Have an employee check gas gauge before you leave car.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I have a business and have rented vehicles many times using Enterprise and have never taken the extra insurance. Last week we rented from the Ford company location in Fort Myers Fl. When I called to set up the reservation I was adamant that I did not need additional insurance. My supervisor had to put the rental in his name since he would be the only driver when his vehicle was in the shop. He also stated clearly to the woman who did his sign in that he did not want the additional insurance.

Upon the end of the rental we were billed 159.92 for additional insurance. Our supervisor had been given a form to initial the day he picked up the auto and even though the agent was told we did not want insurance she had him initial that we did. Obviously he assumed she heard him so he trusted where he was told to initial. The Enterprise located in the Sam Galloway Ford location had billed us in my opinion on purpose fees we did not want and had told them so prior to the rental. This is a scam. Beware.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I walked into an Enterprise after an accident and told them I have to rent a car. I informed them have no car rental coverage on my insurance policy and will be paying out of pocket. Didn't even hand them my insurance paper; just my license and credit card. I paid a $50 deposit and one day rental, inspected the vehicle and went on my way. No documents were given to me about this rental agreement, nothing.

Fast forward a few days, I get a call from someone at that Enterprise location and was told that my insurance policy doesn't have car rental coverage. I confirmed that I told them that before renting a car. They then asked me to authorize an additional $250 for deposit and the full length of my rental totaling $403... Didn't make any sense based on the rate I agreed to so I told them no and called corporate. Talked to someone very nice and helpful, told me my rate wouldn't change and that I am to pay when I return the car. Gave me a reference number for the call and we parted ways.

Next day I get another call from the Enterprise location I saying the same thing as the day before and I told them I had already talked to corporate about this and it is settled. After hanging up I called to confirm this with corporate twice. The first call to them I was told the reference number meant nothing and that he can't see my information, then put me on hold when I asked to be transferred to someone else. Of course this was disconnected after holding for less than 30 seconds... Called again. Told them everything I stated before then confirmed my rate and that no additional deposit was needed. Parted ways.

THEN I get a call from the district manager later that day. He told me that everything I was told is incorrect and that they cannot have me driving their car on credit [or something like that]. He wanted a deposit (he didn't call it a deposit; however any money asked of me before the time of use is a deposit, I don't care how you dress it up). Irritated at the lack of customer service, I told him I would be in later and hung up on him. I had things to do and could not drop everything to take care of this. Figured I'd go in the next day and get everything squared away after I get out of work.

Get a call the next day from corporate: Was told that the district manager shortened my car reservation and that I needed to return the car by 4pm that day. I called the district manager and left a voicemail wondering where the disconnect was in our conversation. He called me back and kept going on about "not hanging up on people" or something but you know what? I don't care. I don't care to be harassed and hounded by him, or anyone else from Enterprise, all because of their incompetence. Anyhow, I told him if I had to return it today that I'm not paying a dime to them. He said he'll send it to collections.

My refusal to pay is on principle. They reneged on an agreement based on a miscommunication on their end. Instead of having customer service focus on THEIR mistake, they are harassing me in order to fix THEIR error. Everywhere else I went to rent a car, when disclosing the same information to them, was upfront about their policies and procedures and gave me a rate based on that. Enterprise dropped the ball and their recovery was as incompetent as the person who made my reservation. My suggestion is to go somewhere else.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I’m an enterprises customer since 1988. I reserved a car directly from West Commonwealth, Fullerton office 5 days in advance and received my confirmation by email. When I went to pickup the car, and gave them my CA DL and debit MC card, I was asked too many personal intrusive questions. How long have you leaved in your house? Do you have a utility bill with you? We need to personal references, names, phones & addresses. I told them I am a long time customer and they have my information stored in the computer. I also told them that I was never asked those questions before and they have no right to ask me intrusive personal questions. They responded that it’s their job to ask and without my answers they will not give me a car. I also told them that the rep that did the reservation never even questioned my identity. I even mentioned that I rented a car from a different branch a few months ago with no problem.

Once I asked them whether these personal question started after they’ve seen my name, they asked me to leave and that was it. I called Budget Rent A Car in N. Harbor, Fullerton, reserved a car and picked it up within 10 minutes after my arrival with no harassment. What is wrong with Enterprise? Why are they collecting personal data and for whom?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I already made reservation for the car rental at this location. The young lady greeted me and I gave her my name & DL & company credit card to pay for the rental. I am 469 miles away from home. She says she could accept due to my name was not on the card. I use it all the time everywhere I go for the company I drive for. I explain to her the reservation center assured me I could use it due to I work for the company. This young lady did everything she could think of and ask me more details while she is working so diligently answering the phone, waiting on other customers while she apologize to me several times for delay on helping me. It was no problem. However she made my experience very pleasant to get me a vehicle after my company was able to provide her an account number for Enterprise rental.

She deserves a raise, bonus or just a good gift certificate for two on a 3 day trip of her choice. I wish every company could have employees like her whom was so calm, patience & understanding of my needs after your reservation center misled me on what I need to get this rental car reserved after talking to them 2 times in one week. Someone needs to look into the reservation center & make sure the information they give over the phone is accurate precise and not this, "Oh yeah no problem." Please give credit & recognition to Ms. Hannah **/ Branch Manager in New Philadelphia. My Best Regards to Her.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

8208 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring Md. (LAZY Worker) - Upon returning a rental vehicle, (fleet vehicle for a major transportation company) I realized that I may have left my book bag in the back of vehicle. I wasn’t sure because I had been moving vehicles around all morning. I called to see if in fact I had left bag in the rental and the young lady told me that I could come back up to the store to check, but that she couldn’t have anyone check for me. This was an 11 day rental, and they wouldn’t even go outside to see if I left a book bag. The Manager had taken my bag out of the vehicle and had it in the office for me, and had the young lady just asked anyone she would have known and been able to serve me better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I had a reservation to pick up a car at 8:00 am and even though I was 1 1/2 hours late, the car wasn't ready. There were 3 other people waiting for cars and as I approached the counter, I offered my driver's license. I was told that the system was down and waited for 15 minutes until I got my license back and 15 more minutes waiting for a car. Finally, I was given a car that had been sitting in the lot all a long 2 hours after my reservation time. I was in a hurry and later, I called customer service and I was concerned more about holding my driver's license for that long of a time, and then giving me a car that had been there.

I was concerned that all that happened because of my Muslim name on the license. Even though I had rented from them before and my reservation was through a corporate account, it didn't feel right, something was wrong! The rep on the Customer Service promised that I would receive a call back from corporate, but they never did. This shows how much they care about their customers.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Car return process bogus at Frankfurt, Germany airport. Attendant refused to do a walk around when we checked out the car. Charged for damages we did not do. Were assured by the supervisor on duty that the damages had in fact been recorded from a previous renter and we were good to go. Next day was charged 1000 euros on my credit card. When contacted customer service back in North America was given a complete runaround. Followed up 4 times with no resolution, or return contact, so far (1 month).

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Making a long story short which isn’t resolved today (Oct 23, 2018), I rented a van which was ticketed at a parking meter. Assuming it was an expired meter ticket, I went before a magistrate to show the meter hadn’t expired... and he explained that the ticket was for expired plates. The vehicle did not have a current tab on the plates. I returned to Enterprise. They apologized, took the ticket and said it would be taken care of. This was July, 2018. Two weeks ago, I received an unpaid parking violation notice in the mail with an increased fine. The original fine was $35, now $75. Took this in to the Enterprise office two weeks ago and was assured that “corporate” would send me a check

For whatever reason they did not want to pay the violation although I had nothing to do with it. No check as of today. Today I contacted Enterprise again and the Branch Manager said he would follow up on it. I am very disappointed, extremely annoyed and dumbfounded as to how a vehicle can be rented out to a customer with expired plates. I guess besides looking for scratches on pick up, I would advise all to check the plates too. This is inexcusable.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I rented a car due to a vehicular accident, while my car was being repaired at a body center. I always refill the car myself. In this case, my auto repair was completed sooner than anticipated, so I returned the rental with a FULL tank of gas, rather than the half tank I received it with. The attendant at Enterprise advised me they would refund my $50.00 deposit, plus $20.00 for the extra fuel I gave them. I only received the $50.00 deposit back and the local manager is non-responsive to my messages left to inquire about the remaining money they owe me.

Not impressed and irritated that I bucked the insurance carrier about using Enterprise, as they are on location at the auto body shop, as a convenience. The insurance carrier wanted me to go with someone else. Starting to see why. It's now cost me 2 to 3 hours of time to follow up on this nonsense. I was in an accident that I didn't cause... This should not cost me a dime. Poor form, Enterprise. Poor form.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My car lost its power steering this morning. Took car to garage. They couldn’t fix it until Monday morning. I called Enterprise. Completed a reservation. Told them I would be there in 15 minutes to pick up car. 5 minutes later received a call from local branch stating they could not honor the reservation because they had no cars. I continued on to branch and there were 11 cars there. Called the main office. Spoke with supervisor. He stated he would have the regional manager make this right and put in an urgent email and told me they would get me a car and I would receive a call within 1/2 hour. We are now 3 hours out and no call and no car. I also had a rental booked for February when I go to Florida. Needless to say canceled it. DO NOT Recommend Enterprise!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used to rent at the weekend rate at $9.99 then it went up last season $12.99 per day minimum three day required. Today I looked it up and they still advertise a rate of $ 12.99, I called my local location, they said they don't have such a rate then I called customer service they said they couldn't find that the rate anywhere in San Diego area, I asked what location has $12.99 they said they don't have a list of locations which participate in this special bogus advertised rate. Scam!!! Misleading advertisement, even corporate cannot tell me if at least one location which offers that rate, it's not because car sold out, they just don't offer that rate. The weekend rate at all locations start at $19.99, nowhere $12.99 could be found.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

When going through the pick-up process for my rental car, I was notified about a gas fill-up charge, and the optional insurance charge. This makes total sense since they are additional charges to the amount I agreed upon. What was NOT brought up was the $189 Young Driver fee I was charged. While I understand this policy and knew there could potentially be a fee for this depending on the rental company's terms, this fee was not brought to my attention by anyone at Enterprise. I cannot justify hiding fees that cost almost more than the rental agreement itself.

I'm also unsure why other smaller fees were brought up, but this one was slipped into my bill without letting me know. When I reached out to the Customer Service hotline, I dealt with a very rude representative who was combative and offered no explanation or assistance. My advice to future renters: Read the fine print for everything they sneak into your bill. Or better yet, find a better rental car service.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

So my husband and I decided to rent a car at the last minute upon arrival at Miami International Airport. We decided on Enterprise after searching online and getting help by a family member who was also searching online that Enterprise have the best deal. We went up to the booth, first we were told by some guy that online registration doesn’t come through right away. So we try to get a quote by Nisbet (Enterprise rep). She told us a different quote far off than what we saw online. When we mentioned this to her she said “book online” with an attitude like we were wasting her time. We stepped off the line to do the reservations online.

After completing it we went back to pay, after collecting my husband reservations and card with Drivers License. She said, “Hold on. Let me see something," she set away to the back, didn’t even say why she was stepping away but did. Nisbet came back and say she can’t take his license. Of course we ask, "Why?" She said it’s scratched by the mouth of the picture. The license isn’t expired, that’s the only thing wrong. I then done showed her his US passport. She said, “No still can do it.” We were in shock, I then say, “I also have a driver’s license. Use mine.” She said, “No. The name on the license have to match the credit card being used.” We are not one to pull the race card but we see where this has gone. We asked to speak to a manager, we then waited for 20 minutes before someone came.

Now her name is Claudia, she came with a bigger and nastier attitude. We tried to show her the US passport, she said no. We told her we just flew like with this from JFK. She said no, she wasn’t trying to hear us at all. She kept saying she can lose her job. Excuse me but we aren’t trying to ask you to do anything unethical. This wouldn’t be a thought to ask anyone to do. We are a hardworking couple who I work in a bank and my husband does real estate. I then ask her to give me her card and the other Representative name. She did and added “make sure I tell whoever I’m complaining to, I mention she’s doing her job”. Really is that now necessary to say. My husband then say, “Let’s just go.” We walked a few booths down to Budget and get this, was able to rent a car with my husband’s same driver’s license. No questions asked.

Again I’m not one to pull the race card but it couldn’t be clearer that it was because we were ** and if we were ** Nisbet and Claudia would have accommodate us with even additional IDs. We would have paid $254.08 with Enterprise but ended paying $338.83 with Budget. That’s $84.25 more for something that didn’t need to go that far. Thanks Nisbet, Claudia and Enterprise. Your Company was a class act for Racially Profiling and promoting Racism. I could never do business with your Company or anyone associated with Enterprise.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My experience was horrible. I called customer service because the local branch I was getting a car from in Houston the lady called me to notify me that they might not have a car available in the morning for the time that I chose, but she will be crossing her fingers. That doesn’t make sense to me - how can you run your business telling people that. They called at 5:30 PM when I had a whole day to be searching for car if they knew they were going to be carless. Why wouldn’t the website is showing that they had no cars available. This issue will not have happened to me or anyone else. The escalation manager (Dave), told me that there was nothing he could do for me and that they did the job by calling me to let me know a car was not available. How can you run your business like this? Like I said - I wish I could give this company an eighth of a star.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

In June I booked a rental car on the Enterprise website, for a week starting October 27 at the Maui airport office. I went online to cancel the child safety seat as my daughter is bringing their own seat. I pulled up the reservation online and found I could not make any modifications and had to call the office. I started calling the main Enterprise reservation office and was told the reservation had been cancelled. I was shocked. I asked when and they could not tell me. I asked for a copy of the cancellation email that gets sent if you cancel a car. They didn’t have one. I told them I did not cancel the reservation but they just kept repeating that it was cancelled and offering no evidence - I told them I could still pull the reservation up online and it showed as active. Then I called the Maui office (it took ages to get through as it kept defaulting to the national office).

I spoke with a lady representative that said the same thing - the reservation was cancelled. Again they could not say when or produce a copy of the cancellation email - so I said this was very suspicious given I could pull the reservation up online and would like to send her this - as you can send a copy from their website which I had done myself earlier. She said I could not email her. She said she would look into getting me a vehicle - after being on hold for 15 minutes she came back with a significantly higher price for the same vehicle and when I said this is outrageous I was cut off and it kept looping back to "rating the representative". I called back and it kept defaulting to the national office.

I talked with someone there who repeated the same thing and offered no evidence of cancellation. He allowed me to send an email from the online active reservation. But this did not matter. He said he would try and get me a new rental and after being placed on hold for 20 minutes the line died. There was no attempt to contact me even though they had my email and phone number. I am absolutely shocked at this treatment by Enterprise. I am extremely lucky I phoned to try and change the child seat otherwise we would have ended up at the Maui office with no car and potentially being charge an outrageous amount. Enterprise was unprofessional and unethical, their business practices and lack of customer service are unbelievable. I will never utilize them again and I want to warn others to be wary!

Enterprise Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1957, Enterprise has more than 7,000 locations across Europe and North America.

• Free customer pickup: While it has locations at most airports, Enterprise also offers to pick up its rental car customers at no extra charge, saving renters the cost of cabs or shuttle services.

• Online reservations: Book a rental car online in just a few minutes using the interactive form on the Enterprise website or app. Automatically generated confirmations make it easy to verify and alter reservations any time Enterprise is open.

• Business rental program: Businesses can offer employee discounts or negotiate flat-rate costs through the Enterprise Business Rental Program. Enterprise helps employers save on reimbursement with a quick calculator to determine the expenses of reimbursement versus rental costs.

• Long-term rentals: The Month-or-More Rental plan is an option for temporary reassignments or while waiting for an employee vehicle.

• Many makes and models: Enterprise offers more than two-dozen categories of vehicles, including everything from economy cars to 15-passenger vans.

• Discounts: Weekend specials, a points program and email offers can lower your rental costs.

• Car and Ride Sharing: Mint Cars On-Demand is a convenient program that is needed for short-term rentals of a variety of vehicles 24/7. Enterprise Rideshare connects groups of five or more riders wanting to save time and money while reducing stress on the way to work. Riders can choose how to get to their destination in a newer van, crossover or SUV.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair, those who want a wide selection of vehicles and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Enterprise Rent A Car Company Information