2. Travel
Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.5/5 (1816 ratings)

About Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

Pros

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

Cons

• Cars may have high mileage

Bottom Line

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Verified

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several time...

Verified

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at...

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I reserved a car the beginning of the week for Saturday. I was given a confirmation number. I was all set to pick up the car Saturday morning at 8 am giving myself enough time to arrive in High Point to attend a funeral. I received a call at 6:19 Friday evening saying no cars was available, not giving me enough time to reserve something else at a different company so I called the corporate office. They said it was cars available at the Kinston location. I explained to her the call I received and ask to speak to a supervisor, after waiting 10 min she came on the phone apologizing for the inconvenience and took my name and number and said she would look at a different location. I never heard anything else from Enterprise. It was so unprofessional how they waited until closing to call me. This was at the Kinston NC location

Original review: June 27, 2021

Sean, the branch manager, and his staff went above and beyond to accommodate me with professionalism, and their partnership with Country Financial (my car was totaled in a deer incident) was an entirely positive experience. I went in the second day of my rental to ask about a solution to the serious smoke smell in the car assigned to me. Sean immediately offered to replace the car, which solved the problem.

I enjoyed driving the 2020 Hyundai Elantra for sure. Later that day, but after closing, I realized I had left my garage door opener on the visor. I drove to the branch, was blessed to have an off-the-clock employee arrive at the same time, and, of course, he was able to get me into the car to retrieve my opener. I got a call from Sean the day before the insurance rental coverage ran out to remind me of it. Every time I spoke with Sean he was gracious, patient, and entirely helpful. His branch was understaffed, for various reasons, but he took it in stride with a great attitude. This is the first car rental experience I have ever had in my 64 years, and it set a high bar.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Kari, thank you very much for the wonderful review! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. Your feedback and your review are greatly appreciated! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you! We’ll see you next time! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Wow, I'm disappointed that I'm having to terminate my dealings with Enterprise. Due to the fact of how high they are now. Enterprise was my go-to place when I needed a car at the 1st of the month, I'm a senior and renting a car from them every 3rd of the month saved me a lot of money rather than paying individuals to run me around. The deposit went up. Of course that's not a problem because you get that back but now the rates have skyrocketed. Also a vehicle use to run around 47-60 something not including the insurance which was ok but now a compact car cost over $96 not including insurance and taxes.

I'm sad that I can't afford to rent anymore, when you living on a set income there is simply no way. Thanks Enterprise for the years you were there for me, but now I can no longer afford you. I won't complain about my experience with you all. Everyone was friendly & courteous. I had gotten the chance over the years to know some of them personally because they was use to me coming in every month and the service was excellent also. The cars was always clean. Thanks again. You need a senior program. ☺️

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

A. J. , thank you for sharing with us. We certainly understand your sentiments. Our rates do vary depending on the time of year, availability and other factors. If we can help, please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H

Original review: April 28, 2021

We traveled 200 miles from the Kenai Peninsula to Alaska Sales and Service to have a 90,000 mile service done on our Cadillac. Due to a spinal injury, I do not walk well and these nice people not only kept our reservation, they came to the dealership to pick us up! We were both impressed by the courtesy and professionalism from Andre **. We were given a fairly new Jeep Compass to drive for three days. When our service was complete, Andre checked in our Jeep, we settled up and were on our way home. Best rental experience we've had in more than 30 years. When we need a rental car, we'll be back! Andre ** and team, you are indeed 5 stars. You went the extra mile for us.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sherry, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you had a great experience with us! We'll see you again next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I want to give a shout out to Jaila ** (Rental Mgt Trainee) at Enterprise Rental. Jaila was working with my insurance company to prepare a rental for me. She called me the night before to ask me some questions in prep to pick a vehicle the following day. Jaila was extremely pleasant and very professional. It was like I've known her for a long time because her disposition over the phone was CLASS A. My daughter and I went to Enterprise the following morning and met with Jaila. She was just a nice as she was the night before.

Jaila was very detailed, kind, friendly and extremely professional. My daughter looked at me and said "Dad...shes' extremely professional." Jaila, keep up the awesome job... You going to be a great manager and because of your kindness and professionalism, I believe that customers like me will never forget the great experience when they come in contact with you, and will become a lifetime customer of Enterprise. HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! :). Don

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Don, we're very happy we could provide you with such a positive experience! We'll pass along your comments to our upper management team over our locations in Michigan! Thank you for choosing Enterprise! We hope to see you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

After a not so good experience the day before, I called to confirm my reservation and hit a home run when Brandon (University Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC) answered the phone. He went above and beyond. He's a keeper for sure! I would highly recommend Enterprise based on my experience today!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Keela, thank you for the awesome compliment and reivew. It's great to hear you received such great service from Brandon. I’ll be sure to pass this along to the Winston Salem North management team. We look forward to seeing you next time. –Carol H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

In July of 2021, I returned a rental vehicle after 4 days and was accused of damaging the right side door. I done nothing of the sort. 500 was taken from my credit card on file and I was billed an additional 700 dollars. It started off as damaging the door and then turned into the mirror. On the day in question, I left the facility for 3 minutes and returned back to take pictures only to find out one of the managers had drove the vehicle off on a personal trip. He shortly returned and I took pictures of the so called damage to the door. I turned this over to my insurance which could not see any damage and declined to take the claim. Be aware that you can be falsely accused. Maybe the staff are not doing their jobs as the rentals go in and out. I was a Enterprise plus member providing them ample business.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Barbara, we appreciate your review and feedback. All damage claims are solely handled by our Damage Recovery Unit. Please contact that team directly at 1-866-300-3239 or by email at CustomerClaimConcern@ehi.com. Thank you! – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I rented a car for the day 7/9/2021 as promoted by my VW dealership as they did not have a loaner car for the day while my car was being serviced. I returned the car as discussed with the Enterprise employee to the VW dealership the same day. The employee reassured me they would coordinate with the VW dealership to pick up the car the next day. I was charged $998 for a one day rental as VW and Enterprise did not coordinate this pick up for 13 days. I have made numerous calls to the VW dealership, to the Amityville Enterprise location and the corporate Enterprise location to have this error resolved. To this date 6 weeks later, I have not received one call from Enterprise despite filing 4 complaints with the escalation center and 6 complaints with the Amityville location. Enterprise does not value or care about their customers. The staff at the Amityville location are rude, unprofessional and clearly do not value Enterprise customers.

Good luck even being able to reach someone. I have waited on hold for 20 mins to an hour to be told "we are looking into it." I have been told this by 4 managers at that location and still have not received a call from the district manager to resolve this issue. When you call the corporate office they tell you all they can do help is send another message to have the district manager call you. I have made this complaint 4 times and been told this 4 times, still no call from the district manager. The staff at the Amityville location told me it is my responsibility to have ensured the car was picked up. I can print so many more rude, unprofessional statements that the employees have said. Clearly Enterprise does not train their employees to provide good customer service and certainty don't care if you are satisfied with their services. I still have not been credited my $998! Completely disgusted with this company.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Leeann, thank you for sharing your concern with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

When we arrived at the facility at Houston Hobby Airport the car was not ready, it had to be cleaned, so we kindly offered to go to lunch and come back. When we arrived everything was going smoothly with Aaron ** on the counter (very polite and nice person) until another person approached the counter and the nightmare started. The main driver (me) showed all the papers (the car was already prepaid) and also gave them my passport to scan it (they said they needed the visa scanned which seemed weird to me… just as a note I was paying all the insurance required)… then the second driver showed his driver license and this other guy asked for his passport too. He explained that his passport was more than 40 minutes away where he was staying.

He offered even more than two form of id, and also to send him by email a high resolution scan of his passport and that even his wife can show him by facetime his actual passport so he can verify it was the same document… but he was so rude and stubborn! We asked for a manager and he said he was the manager (I highly doubt it or it was a really bad choice!) .. To make long story short, it was until we asked him to show us where it says that showing the passport for a second driver was required (because on the rental papers it only asks for an id and the credit card that matches the name, even for the main driver)..

He ran out of arguments (because there was no such thing written anywhere) so he called a manager to whom he started explaining things his way, telling that there is a guy that wants to rent a car without a passport so we spoke loud so he can hear us on the phone that it was only the second driver, so he asked to speak with us and when we finally explain him it was the second driver he agreed to rent the car…. and the other guy just left without an apology or something…. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE and took us more than an hour to take the car! The car was in neat condition, Aaron at the counter was very nice and polite… but this other self called manager was rude and turned the whole experience into a nightmare!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Carol, thank you for your feedback.I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. We would like to speak with you further. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with your full name, contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

I called my local Enterprise office and reserved a full size car. One hour before pick up I was called and told that they are out of cars and will upgrade to an SUV. I told her to call other locations and get me a car. She told me none of the other locations have cars because of a car shortage. So I was lied to when I set the reservation. When I got to the store I asked what happened to the car I reserved. I was told I called the main number and they didn't know that this location didn't have cars. I told her that I called here and even if I did talk to someone in reservation they can see on the computer what you have. Then she said "we do have a car but it was sent to get a nail taken out of the tire." Another lie. The upgrade is an economy suv that drives like an economy car. So I was offered 5.00 off. I called the main office to file a complaint and was told a manager would call me back and never did. So you can call enterprise and ask to reserve any car you want and they will tell you okay just to get you in the store.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Erik, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information