Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.8/5 (2012 ratings)

About Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

Pros

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

Cons

• Cars may have high mileage

Bottom Line

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Verified

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several time...

Verified

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at...

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: May 23, 2022

I just had to write about the staff member Aleah, I am sadly not sure of her spelling but I had to bring it to your attention about her wonderful customer service. While sitting and waiting for my rental car I sat and listen to her interact with the customers as they walked up to the front desk. She interacted even if they weren’t there to see her what a pleasant personality, I noticed these things because I’m a retired hotel general manager and it honestly just blessed my heart to see somebody cares so much about people and to go out of her way to interact so pleasantly and professionally with everyone. This gal definitely has management in her and should be looked at, just saying. On a sidenote, My customer rep Ben was very efficient and polite and was great about getting me into a car faster than expected and for that I was grateful. Thank you. Robyn

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Robyn, thank you for your kind words and review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

We reserved a small SUV in April for an October trip to New England. Pickup was easy in downtown Boston. I think the price we reserved at in April was below the current market but there was no change in price for our two week rental. We got a slightly nicer SUV than we anticipated - Audi Q3. We dropped off in Rhode Island. It would have been nice if the agent had shown us how to use the toll tracker but that is the only complaint.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jack, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience! We're so glad you enjoyed the ride. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

My husband and I traveled from NJ to Coral Gables Florida for a surgical procedure I was having done from October 13th-October 22nd. My husband is a NYPD detective and quite honestly we were going to Hertz because they offered a discount to Law Enforcement! Since Enterprise was within walking distance we decided to stop into the 4125 Ponce De Leon Blvd site and cannot tell you how happy that we did.

I must say, and my husband will agree, that ** and staff were outstanding and professional! She truly went above and beyond to accommodate our every need! We even had to exchange the vehicle due to the surgery I was having and it was no problem at all. She ensured we had exactly what we needed. She was the most courteous and professional person I have ever dealt with. When we returned the vehicle she took interest in my surgery and wished me well! That is just an amazing personal touch- THANK YOU **! We feel ** should be recognized for exceptional customer service and going above and beyond! I would highly recommend this location to anyone.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Tina, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you had a great experience with us!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I reserved a car the beginning of the week for Saturday. I was given a confirmation number. I was all set to pick up the car Saturday morning at 8 am giving myself enough time to arrive in High Point to attend a funeral. I received a call at 6:19 Friday evening saying no cars was available, not giving me enough time to reserve something else at a different company so I called the corporate office. They said it was cars available at the Kinston location. I explained to her the call I received and ask to speak to a supervisor, after waiting 10 min she came on the phone apologizing for the inconvenience and took my name and number and said she would look at a different location. I never heard anything else from Enterprise. It was so unprofessional how they waited until closing to call me. This was at the Kinston NC location

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sabrina, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Sean, the branch manager, and his staff went above and beyond to accommodate me with professionalism, and their partnership with Country Financial (my car was totaled in a deer incident) was an entirely positive experience. I went in the second day of my rental to ask about a solution to the serious smoke smell in the car assigned to me. Sean immediately offered to replace the car, which solved the problem.

I enjoyed driving the 2020 Hyundai Elantra for sure. Later that day, but after closing, I realized I had left my garage door opener on the visor. I drove to the branch, was blessed to have an off-the-clock employee arrive at the same time, and, of course, he was able to get me into the car to retrieve my opener. I got a call from Sean the day before the insurance rental coverage ran out to remind me of it. Every time I spoke with Sean he was gracious, patient, and entirely helpful. His branch was understaffed, for various reasons, but he took it in stride with a great attitude. This is the first car rental experience I have ever had in my 64 years, and it set a high bar.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Kari, thank you very much for the wonderful review! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. Your feedback and your review are greatly appreciated! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you! We’ll see you next time! – Carol H.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I have had a 4-day-long horrible experience with the Enterprise location at 6300 E 37th St N in Wichita, KS. A rental car was reserved for me for 9 am on Wednesday 6/15 by Progressive Insurance as a result of a claim I filed as the injured party in an auto accident. Rather than at 9 am per the reservation, I received only a promise of a vehicle sometime that day and was taken home where I was basically left stranded. A vehicle was not delivered until the end of the business day; When the vehicle was started, the NAV screen displayed a maintenance warning that the brake pads were past their replacement date and that - while the car could be driven - the driving should be limited.

I work from my car as a Federal Government employee attached to the Department of Commerce so vehicle safety is a basic necessity of my job. I contacted the Enterprise location first thing the next morning (Thursday 6/16 at 9 am) to arrange to change out the unsafe car for one that would be safe as I also frequently transport grandchildren. Since then I've been given the runaround, lied to, ignored and basically left stranded, missing a total of 3 days of work and never receiving a replacement vehicle.

When I drove the vehicle to the Enterprise location just before closing today, they took the keys, refused to provide me with a rental car, refused to refund the $50 refundable deposit, tried to shove me out the door and called the police to report me for trespassing. I am a 72-year-old woman so you can only imagine how menacing I am. I also filed a complaint with the Police who felt their hands were tied but intimated that they'd had other problems with this location. This Enterprise location is very close to our home and my husband and I have had several negative experiences with them in the past. I would not have chosen them but they were selected by Progressive.

They have a bad reputation in the community for their failure to fulfill rental contracts and their failure to take care of the rental vehicles. This is not a complaint that should color ALL Enterprise Rental locations, but it is certainly a black mark on the one it pertains to. I've been denied the $50 refundable deposit, missed 3 full days of work because they simply ignored my need to trade out the vehicle they'd supplied, and still have no transportation. They actually expected me to keep driving a car with significant maintenance issues.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jan, we're disappointed that our service didn't meet your expectations. If you would like to speak with us about this further, please email CARE@ENTERPRISE.COM with the details above, your full name, email address, telephone number, and anything you'd like our team to address. Thank you. - Carol H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 16, 2022

I made a reservation for a 15-passenger van for 7 weeks. I made the reservation 2 months in advance. The day before pick-up they called to say they were "not able to fulfill the reservation". I called customer service and they are useless. The 15-passenger van is still listed as available on Enterprise and Expedia but they can't get one anywhere in this region. They offered NO alternatives.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Deb, we're disappointed that our service didn't meet your expectations. If you would like to speak with us about this further, please email CARE@ENTERPRISE.COM with the details above, your full name, email address, telephone number, and anything you'd like our team to address. Thank you. - Carol H.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Rental Agreement # **. I made a 10-day booking with Enterprise for May 21 through May 30 at Shoreline, WA location. I ended up needing the car for 5 days. So, I returned the car on May 26 to the same location. Upon picking up the car, my credit card was charged 10 days rental fee plus $200 security deposit for total amount of $1090.74 and, I got charged additional five days rental fee $430.40 after I returned the car. I tried to call the branch multiple times for refund. They keep on promising that $1090.74 will be refunded back to my credit card to no avail.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Ensermu, your deposit is released on the same day you return the vehicle. How fast you receive it back, is determined by your bank or credit card provider. If you are waiting for the return of your deposit, we're happy to check on the process for you. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location, the complete details. We look forward to hearing from you soon. –Carol H.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I booked a rental car from Enterprise (assuming I will get a top notch service as others described here) through State Farm. Unfortunately, I had no pleasant experience all along. Pickup from collision center was scheduled at 3 pm but no one arrived and after back and forth calls I got a ride around 4 due to which I could not pickup my kids from school. I still wonder what is the purpose of scheduling a pickup at a particular time. Got a car which literally smelled bad (like cigarette smell) and it was even worst when AC was turned on. I reported this issue but no one took it seriously and ended up driving the car for 13 long days without turning on AC with family.

Last but not the least, they messed up billing too. My CC was charged $97 but I was not supposed to. Post talking to my insurance company, they reimbursed as my plan covers 100% rental. Overall, it’s a complete mess and I never go with them again and won’t recommend Enterprise and the location (13207 N US 183 Svrd Nb, Austin, TX 78750) where I got my rental car to anyone either.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Raj, we are committed to maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness today and every day. If those standards were not met we’d like to speak with you to learn more. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement number, the exact office location, and the details above. We look forward to hearing from you soon. - Carol H.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I deliberately chose the "refill upon return" option when I rented our Citroen Diesel out of Milan Malpensa airport because it was the most economical option, and their rental rates are extremely high right now. During the 2-week trip, we kept seeing a dashboard message about AdBlue which we did not understand and no one at Enterprise told us about. It turns out that AdBlue is a Diesel additive for "greener diesel emissions" and if you run out of AdBlue the car will fail to start. Luckily my wife googled the message before we ran out.

We found a filling station that could fill up the AdBlue tank for about €17. Had we not done this, would have been stranded somewhere and clueless about why the car failed to start. It turns out that the AdBlue tank only needs a refill every 10k miles, so clearly the Enterprise folks were negligent in keeping the tank filled. They have admitted no fault but agree to reimburse us the €17 if I provide an itemized receipt (not sure I got one from the station attendant so I might be out the €17).

Also, I diligently filled the fuel tank before returning the car to Malpensa airport. However, I then ran into a huge traffic jam and had to circle the airport 3 times to find the Enterprise return lot (signage for this is really bad). Hence, the fuel gauge was down ever so slightly from full when the attendant checked the car over and she insisted on charging me a €50 fee and about €20 for the missing fuel (not sure how she was able to calculate that) despite my showing her the receipt from the gas station just 45 minutes prior. I sent Enterprise a letter complaining about the above and their reply was, and I’ll paraphrase here, “TOO BAD”. Just be aware of all of this if you rent from Enterprise at Malpensa. They are out for profit ONLY and don’t give a hoot about fairness to the customer.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Dicran, we appreciate when our customers share their experiences. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience above. We look forward to hearing from you soon. –Carol H.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information