2. Travel

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.02/5
Enjoy a free rental upgrade.*
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

BOTTOM LINE

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

PROS

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

CONS

• Cars may have high mileage

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several times to exchange the cars and they were the most courteous and professional staff I have ever dealt with.

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at my home and took care of everything right there in the car at Enterprise... Stephen and Erin, in particular, are great r

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: July 30, 2020

I had to rent a car because the transmission went out in mine. I booked the reservation through Hotwire.com. I called to verify the booking and they were extremely helpful. They even came to pick me up from home to get the rental. After the first week I had to extend, so they extended it for another week for a weekly rate with no problems. The tire pressure light began to come on and Enterprise had me take it to Tire Discount to diagnose and there was a nail in one of the tires. Enterprise told me to just come switch it out. Had the car switched out in no more than 20 minutes. I had that car for another week. I had absolutely NO issues! They were prompt every time I called and had excellent customer service. I love Enterprise and they will forever be my go to when I need a rental.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Tameshia, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: July 18, 2020

The rental car experience was wonderful. No surprise there. We rent a car several times per year and most often from Enterprise. However, the return experience prompted me to write this review. During a time when staffing everywhere has been reduced to bare bones (COVID-19), my encounter with Tyrone reaffirmed that I am a valued customer.

Tyrone was talking leisurely with another employee when I drove up to return my car. He jumped up and held his hand up as if to say, "Hold that thought," to his co-worker. He was at my door before I was out of the car. He was polite and professional in every way. After he checked me out, he asked who was picking me up and directed me to a nearby location. I mentioned that my husband was a few minutes behind me, and Tyrone suggested that I do not wait in the heat. He told me where I could wait in the terminal.

But his concern did not stop there. I had forgotten to ask for a written receipt, though I know I would receive one via email. When I flagged him down a few minutes after we had finished, he had already checked another customer out. He said he would need to go into the Enterprise building and retrieve the receipt from the desk clerk. He offered to bring a cold bottle of water to me while I waited. When he returned, he gave me the number of my contract on a business card because I would have to personally request the receipt. He literally walked me to the door of the building to make sure I made it safely.

I was born at the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation, have taught high school 40+ years, and have dealt with a fair share of the younger generation. My experience tells me Tyrone has been raised to respect people and has been trained in the art of customer service. Thank you to Tyrone and to Enterprise for having the insight to hire him.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Melinda, 5., we certainly appreciate your continued business, and are truly honored to have devoted employees like Tyrone on our team. Thanks for choosing Enterprise! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Kansas City, MO downtown office has a new assistant manager that did not have business card yet. But, when I had my quote for a midsize car that Enterprise did not have available, they replace it with a Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 for the same cost. I extended the rental to a couple of weeks and move my daughter to her new home and enjoyed a soft ride on a marvelous American made vehicle. I grew up in Chevy's and had a thrill for driving one. The assistant manager even drove me back to the auto body shop to pick up my car and wish me well in all my endeavors. This experience with Enterprise got my lifetime attention. For all my vehicle rental needs only one ENTERPRISE.com.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Felix, thanks for the shout out! It's our goal to provide excellent customer service every time and are delighted to hear about the fantastic service you received from our office in Kansas City. We're glad you enjoyed the ride! See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I recently rented a vehicle from Enterprise. From picking up the car to dropping it off I had a wonderful experience with this company. I picked up my car in Washington and drove it down to California. With my luck, I got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere in the mountains in California. I called the roadside coverage folks and although there was an issue with my contract both them and the office I picked the car up from worked together (instead of me having to bounce back and forth playing phone tag) to fix the errors to that way I could get the roadside assistance. The roadside assistance crew was amazing and got there pretty quick considering I was about 45 min from the nearest city and they were nice.

After all the bad luck I had on my road trip I decided to turn in my car somewhere other than where I picked it up from which wasn't part of my contract, but both offices were super friendly and helped out and made me aware of all of my options so that way I wouldn't be unknowingly eating any unexpected costs. I fully expected to pay the days I said I was going to have the car because that is what I signed up for, but I ended up getting refunded the days I had remaining. To some of you, that might seem like a silly thing to be excited for, but I cannot count the number of times I had to eat a cost like that. Even though the driving part of my road trip was a bust (at no fault to Enterprise), Enterprise helped make sure I was taken care of.

While I'm sure that all of the Entertprise Rent A Car offices are stellar, I wanted to shout out to the offices in Puyallup WA and Redding CA as well as the RAP folks. Every person in those three offices were stellar, friendly, professional, basically all the positive words you can think of. While I don't see myself road-tripping anytime in the near future, if I have to do it again I will definitely be using Enterprise and I encourage others to do the same.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Allison, thanks for taking the time to share the story of your rental experience with us! It's great to hear you received such great service. We look forward to seeing you next time. –Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had recently suffered a death in my family and had to rent a Ford F150 to go home. I had the truck for over 28 days and didn't realize that my discounts were not being applied during the period I was renting. Upon return I had to go to the desk to square things away. This is where I met Enterprise rental Team member extraordinaire "Jayla". I explained my concerns to Jayla and she immediately went to work on my behalf and with a Managers approval she reduced my bill and helped me to roll over into another Ford truck. Jayla spent several minutes working out my entire issue and presented A-1 customer service to me as well. She showed an equal concern as to my situation and my recent loss... Professionalism, Customer care and Compassion are just a few of the words that come to my mind as I reflect on this visit to her counter. Enterprise continues to be my First choice rental agency. I commend Jayla on her her work ethic. She has Enterprise Brand Appeal!!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Marshall, I am happy to pass your comments and compliments along to our upper management team in Atlanta. For your records my Incident ID is: 33760555. We look forward to seeing you again soon! - Carol H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

My husband and I booked our dream vacation to Marco Island, FL. We wanted to ride in style while we were there, and needed a convenient pick-up at the airport, so we rented a Mustang convertible from Enterprise. I had our confirmation number and all details. Our flight landed at 10:45pm and we headed straight to Enterprise. There was a sign that said "All Enterprise customers go to National car rental". So, we went to National. They proceeded to tell us that neither they nor Enterprise had ANY cars at all! And for us to take an UBER to our resort - an hour away! At 11:00pm at night! Thankfully, AVIS had cars and we were able to rent our dream car from them!

What a joke! Enterprise is the WORST car rental agency EVER! They do not care about their customers. We were told that they rent out any pre-rented cars to customers that come to the desk throughout the day. The guy from AVIS said Enterprise had over-booked all week. What a crappy way to start your dream vacation! I'm here to warn others to never book with Enterprise!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jessica, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further but need some more information. Please email the details of your rental, your contact information, exact rental office, and your reservation or rental agreement number to Care@Enterprise.com. Thank you! –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This manager at Milford, CT Enterprise "**" is the worst representative of this organization. She doesn't know how to talk or treat customers. Enterprise picked me up at Colonial Toyota in Milford and assured me they would provide a ride back to Toyota when my car was ready; now are reneging on that promise. What deceitful and unacceptable service! I would NEVER use or recommend Enterprise, 579 Bridgeport Ave, Milford to anyone.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Thank you for your honest review, Sandy. I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations if you can provide a few more details, we would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I booked a truck two weeks ago, had to help move a sofa. The day of the rental I called to confirm my rental, they said there was a problem, no truck was available. I asked if I could book for the following day and they agreed, it meant that had to change plans and take time off work but at least I was going to get the sofa moved. Got to the Enterprise office, they said sorry there is no truck available. So by then I had already taken time off work and then they could not guarantee me any date to rent a truck. I have rented from enterprise many times in the past but this left a sour taste in my mouth, I cannot recommend Enterprise at least any of the branches in Eastern Newfoundland. There seems to be a problem with what they can guarantee to rent... Go elsewhere. It’s not worth the hassle.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Wade, we appreciate your honest feedback and regret how let down you feel. If we can help you out with your rental, please email Care@Enterprise.com with the complete details, your contact telephone number, and email address. Thank you. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I returned a corporate rented vehicle on Friday on 9/11/20 at a different location than where I initially picked it up as per the approval of the pickup location. I was not given any type of receipt showing my return but I figured “no problem“. I was told I will receive an electronic receipt by cob that day. I waited but I didn’t get the electronic receipt. So I called the National customer service number on Sunday 9/13/20. The representative assured me that she was going to send the pickup location an email to send me the receipt the next day being Monday 9/14.

I waited patiently on Monday and I still did not get my receipt so I called the National customer service number only to be told the same repeated thing I was told previously. I am dumbfounded that it’s taking Enterprise over 3 business working days to generate an electronic receipt. This rental is a corporate account and receipts have to be turned in as part of an expense report in a timely manner but Enterprise is making this difficult for me. As of cob today Monday 9/14... I still don’t have receipt. In the event I don’t receive my receipt on Tuesday 9/15... I will stop doing business with Enterprise.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jaedi, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations and we would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Thank you! - Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Went to Enterprise rental this morning 2 Fisherman drive in Brampton Ontario. I had gotten into an accident the night before and did not call in to reserve a vehicle. It was very busy and the employees were racing around trying to get everyone on their way. When Ryan served me, he had informed me that there were no vehicles here at the moment for me. Without hesitation Ryan called another location and had me in a car in 20 min. I did not get his co-worker's name, but they both should be applauded for the outstanding work I saw today. I would recommend this rental location to anyone in the area looking for a vehicle and good service. Great job gentlemen. Keep up the great work.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Robert, thank you for the awesome compliment. It's great to hear you received such great service from Ryan. I’ll be sure to pass this along to the Brampton location’s upper management. We look forward to seeing you next time. –Carol

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information