Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.7/5 (2002 ratings)

About Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

Pros

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

Cons

• Cars may have high mileage

Bottom Line

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Verified

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several time...

Verified

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at...

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: June 5, 2022

I had to travel quite some distance from Nova Scotia to attend a funeral for my relative. The booking at Enterprise in Cornwall Ontario was for 4:30 PM - but unfortunately the airplane I was traveling on experienced a delay due to thunderstorms, so that I would have missed my booking entirely [closing is at 5PM] - with no way to get to my rental accommodation. Thankfully, my airport shuttle called Enterprise in Cornwall, and they graciously stayed overtime [!] so that I could pick up my car at 5:20PM. I cannot laude this wonderful customer service. The car was in perfect condition, and my rental went smoothly throughout. I was able to drop the car off after hours no problem. Outstanding experience.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Carol, thank you very much for the wonderful review about the service you received in Cornwall! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. We love hearing this will be happy to share this with our team there. See you next time!

Original review: May 23, 2022

I just had to write about the staff member Aleah, I am sadly not sure of her spelling but I had to bring it to your attention about her wonderful customer service. While sitting and waiting for my rental car I sat and listen to her interact with the customers as they walked up to the front desk. She interacted even if they weren’t there to see her what a pleasant personality, I noticed these things because I’m a retired hotel general manager and it honestly just blessed my heart to see somebody cares so much about people and to go out of her way to interact so pleasantly and professionally with everyone. This gal definitely has management in her and should be looked at, just saying. On a sidenote, My customer rep Ben was very efficient and polite and was great about getting me into a car faster than expected and for that I was grateful. Thank you. Robyn

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Robyn, thank you for your kind words and review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I would give the 4713 W. Broad St. location 10 stars if possible. ** at the reception area went the extra 10 miles out of her way to help me. I lost my cell phone earlier and she helped contact my insurance company and the insurance company of the driver who damaged my vehicle. She would not stop until the matter was resolved and her professionalism really made me a lifelong customer of Enterprise in the future. A very clean reception area, exceptionally clean cars and detailed attention to everyone who walks in the door. I drove an electric Volvo for the first time and was really impressed with everything about it. No gas required when I return it. A super nice experience.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jerry, thank you for your wonderful review! Reviews like this give us motivation and help us ensure we provide high-quality care. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

We reserved a small SUV in April for an October trip to New England. Pickup was easy in downtown Boston. I think the price we reserved at in April was below the current market but there was no change in price for our two week rental. We got a slightly nicer SUV than we anticipated - Audi Q3. We dropped off in Rhode Island. It would have been nice if the agent had shown us how to use the toll tracker but that is the only complaint.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Jack, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience! We're so glad you enjoyed the ride. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

My husband and I traveled from NJ to Coral Gables Florida for a surgical procedure I was having done from October 13th-October 22nd. My husband is a NYPD detective and quite honestly we were going to Hertz because they offered a discount to Law Enforcement! Since Enterprise was within walking distance we decided to stop into the 4125 Ponce De Leon Blvd site and cannot tell you how happy that we did.

I must say, and my husband will agree, that ** and staff were outstanding and professional! She truly went above and beyond to accommodate our every need! We even had to exchange the vehicle due to the surgery I was having and it was no problem at all. She ensured we had exactly what we needed. She was the most courteous and professional person I have ever dealt with. When we returned the vehicle she took interest in my surgery and wished me well! That is just an amazing personal touch- THANK YOU **! We feel ** should be recognized for exceptional customer service and going above and beyond! I would highly recommend this location to anyone.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Tina, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you had a great experience with us!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I was forced into a rental after an accident faulted by other driver. I requested standard sedan. Request was confirmed. Get to the location in portage Lakes, Ohio area and only car in lot was an intermediate SUV. Was told I would not be charged for upgrade (from insurance rate of $28 per day) and I also had to pay upfront because the driver’s insurance who caused the accident required such. I argued that point but needed the rental. Rented car from Saturday to Wednesday at insurance rate. Service on my car was not completed on time so collision center said they would pay for extra days on rental. I called to confirm with Enterprise office and they said they had in fact heard from the collision center and I would not be charged for extra days.

I received credit card statement and had been billed for the full eleven days and was charged for the upgrade. I called and the manager said I should never have had to pay upfront and the sales person who handled it did so incorrectly. Explained that collision center was supposed to cover the last 5-6 days and manager said he would get bottom of it. It’s been a week and there has been no response. This was my second disorganized experience with them and will avoid them at all costs in the future. They took advantage of an emergency situation. I do not want a placating response from the company on this platform pretending they are interested in the situation and requesting a call because they want to know more. Call the actual office Portage Lakes, Ohio (08/20/2022 rental Jeep Grand Cherokee)

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Thanks for your feedback, Greta. We would like to learn more so we can address your concerns. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with your rental location, reservation or rental agreement number, contact information and the details of your experience so we can assist. –Chris R.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Phone and got a nice lady on the phone. She was to save my fetal so I could phone back after talking to my stranded partner on the highway. Didn’t! Then phoned back and got an exceptionally rude man. After explaining my situation got nowhere with him and finally said…."How would you rate this call from 1-5?" I said, "I would rate it ** off," and hung up! Didn’t get his name!! Then called back as my partner is stranded on the road. Talked to a very nice lady in Houston Texas. She finally listened and got me a vehicle all lined up!! After we are finished with this rental we will never use Enterprise again!! Terrible experience all around!!!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sandra, I am disappointed to hear about this experience. We’d like to help address this. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with the location of rental, reservation or rental agreement number and the details of your experience so we can look into this more closely. Thank you! –Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I just left Enterprise Rental Car and left withOUT a car, why? Oh, because I did NOT have a credit card with my current address. What I DID have is A. a valid drivers license B. proof of insurance C. a debit card with plenty of money on it. That was NOT enough though as they had a problem with my driver's license having my old address BUT my name was on the debit card and my name was on my license. Utterly ridiculous to treat poor people like this. What kind of business model lets a customer who has money out the door like this....? Enterprise does. What a joke.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

We'd like to hear more about your experience, Christopher. Please email Care@Enterprise.com with the rental location, reservation number and the details of what occurred. We look forward to hearing from you! -Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Was greeted as soon as I came in, very well taken care of. Matt is awesome. Communication was there. Very professional, I will definitely use again. My experience was very pleasing. Thanks so much for the great experience.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Thanks for the kudos, Linda. I will pass your kind words along to Matt and the Akron team. We look forward to seeing you again next time! -Chris R.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Within the months of August and September, 2022, I had the opportunity to rent on four different occasions. I also am a C.A.A. Member, as such provided my card, and received comments such as…we don’t take this..it makes no difference in price…too late…. The cargo vans rented were filthy, no radio, and lastly broke down, with only 24,000 kilometres. How terribly disappointing, even trying to reach location, is impossible, as the phone is never answered. I have never received worse service from any company.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

We would like to know more about your experience, Jennifer. Please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, reservation or rental agreement numbers and the details so we can learn more. Thank you. -Chris R.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information