2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Extended Stay America Reviews

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have been staying here for 2 weeks now and not once has the room been cleaned. I called the front desk and asked to have fresh towels brought up and was told that if I want clean towels I would have to come down to the front desk, bring my dirty towels and they will give me fresh ones. Why are we paying over $400 to stay at a hotel to do our own housekeeping? I work the front lines and stay at a hotel to have housekeeping taken care of but I was wrong to stay at this chain. Don't stay here. There are better places to stay who actually know what housekeeping means.

Original review: March 29, 2020

First of all it is always very loud here. You can't just enjoy some rest like people do at hotels. The staff at the front desk is always visiting and loudly laughing and very loudly talking at all hours. There are people sitting in their cars with very loud music at all hours. The "breakfast" isn't even available anymore so we have nothing. There is only 2 burner stovetops and no ovens. The refrigerator is way too small to hold anything. Because it is in our budget, we stay and deal with it for now.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2020

To say I’m offended covers about 10% of my “experience. Took a new job in JAX, FL. Moved into an Extended Stay America so I wouldn’t have to eat at a restaurant for the duration. Checked in at 12 midnight so gave the innkeeper a break... Asked for plates, pot, pans, etc. Never received anything. Three weeks later I traveled for a week (but still paid for lodging). It was more paying for storage of my stuff. When I returned...no housekeeping, after 3 weeks NO housekeeping. When I asked for it, they said “too late now”!

My permanent housing was delayed two weeks so I had to rebook my lodging two more weeks. There is a golf tournament in JAX this weekend so my rate almost tripled after three weeks. Their greed would rather have a couple folks stay a few days at a premium price. Extended Stay America is NOT a premium motel. It’s a dump. There are people living in this place, while I can afford it but my principles won’t allow me to stay here.

Customer loyalty is non-existent here. They put a granola bar out front and a pot of hot coffee and call it “grab and go” breakfast. The laundry...they gouge you for $2 for each washer and the same for drying. The other day the dryer “ate $2” for the dryer and when I reported it, she said “hey, move it to another dryer”! Ok, jack** thanks. Can’t remember the last time I was more offended by a hotel/motel and last year I stayed 168 days in a hotel. Jeffery **

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

My 1st problem with the manager was that she kept coming to our door accusing us of smoking. The 1st time my husband let her in, the second time I said no. The manager says to my husband "I know you smoke so". We don't smoke cigarettes, however, we were getting accused of it, even though our room doesn't smell of smoking. Then she saw that we had candles and asked why, I stated because there's dogs in the hotel and I don't want to smell them. The next day she typed up a complaint that stated we couldn't have any open flames in the room. So we abided, then my husband and I bought electric candles. The entire hotel smells of dogs and cigarettes.

This morning 2/26/20, my husband goes to get the coffee and oatmeal that is set out for breakfast. He asks for sugar and the front desk worker states there is none. Then my husband goes to the front desk for toilet paper, again, the worker states there is none. Now 8 hours later my husband goes back to the front desk for toilet paper, the worker stated "you can go buy some". Finally at 10 pm my husband goes to ask and the worker hands him 1 roll off of the hospitality cart and writes my husband's name down, stating "they might speak to you about it tomorrow". I'm not understanding how there's a problem with giving us the amenities that comes with the room.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Extended Stay America Torrance was worst than staying in a Skid Row hotel downtown Los Angeles. Babies, children, pets, and me too were regularly loaded from **, **, and lead. Then the regular flow of prostitution, and roaches. Parents should NOT bring any child to this hotel. You should be compensated for toxic exposure, and filth! I reported them to the corporate office but no response. Their shareholders make millions from the public but do nothing to protect guest. They are glorified White collar pimps! God will give justice to His children. Beware of this hotel and know you are funding baby haters, pimps, and slum Lord's from Hell!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Extended Stay America?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

My husband, daughter and I have been living at The Extended Stay America Hotel on Champions Center Drive in Houston, Texas since August last year. We have had no incidents up until now. On Saturday evening 02/01/2020 I got back from work around 8.30pm. I parked in a spot where I have parked before and where other vehicles sometimes park, when there is no other parking spots available. As I said, I have parked my vehicle here before and have been told by more than one manager on duty that it is fine to do so, (that is, it is not illegally parked). I have pictures showing where my vehicle and where other vehicles have consequently parked.

On Sunday morning, I got up and went out to leave for work around 7.15am and discovered that my vehicle was missing. My husband and I went down to the parking lot and did not see any glass, as our first thought was that the car had been stolen. We then went to the front office and found the Manager on duty and told him that our car was missing. He was going to call the police, but said that he would check with the towing company first. He spoke to the person on duty and confirmed that our car was there. He asked the person why the car was towed and they said that I was parked in a fire lane and obstructing a handicap zone.

The manager then told them that this was not the case. After putting down the phone with the tow truck company, he then asked us to take him to where our vehicle was parked. He said that nothing made sense, because there was no reason for our car to be towed from the location where it was parked. He then called his manager, who came out and together they came again to the location where my vehicle was parked and both agreed that there was no reason for my vehicle to be towed.

In the meantime I could not get to work and had to call out. Missing a day's work cost me an income of $130. I then went and collected my car and had to pay the towing company $240. On Sunday my husband called Guest Relations and spoke to a lady who took a record of the complaint and told him that unfortunately no one was available to assist him and that he should call back Monday morning. I believe that this call was recorded.

On Monday, 02/03/2020 my husband called guest relations and spoke to a different lady who told him that guest relations could not override management's decision, and that the decision was final. She said that the pictures that management took showed that our vehicle was illegally parked. I have since acquired these pictures and I am shocked. The pictures prove that my vehicle was moved from the spot where I parked it, to the front office. Once parked outside the front office building where there is a fire lane and a handicap zone, pictures where then taken and placed on file.

The guest relations agent also told my husband that management called our room prior to let us know that the car was going to be towed, which is a lie. No calls came through to our room. He was also told that other guests on our block were also contacted. I have reached out to guests staying on our block. I have their names, room numbers and comments and not one of them was contacted. That the staff member(s) of Extended Stay America and the Northwest Auto Service Tow Truck Company orchestrated this and that guest relations response is to not even investigate this matter further, bears a poor reflection on the company as a whole.

I consider this a criminal act. I am shocked and appalled and angry at the way that this company has dealt with this matter. When my husband told the guest relations agent that he was unhappy with her decision and that he wanted the name of someone in upper management, he was told that she could not divulge that information and that a supervisor would contact him in 48 hours, but that they would basically tell him the same thing that she just did.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

So before you stay at this branch for an extended period of time. You should know the laundry here is cashless. The laundry in Fremont, Ca takes quarters. The laundry in Union City, Ca takes quarters. Both of the locations in Chattanooga, TN took quarters. So when I went to the ATM and spent $3 to take my last $20 off my debit card on my way from work to do laundry. When I got to the hotel in Kansas City, Mo and went to the front desk to get quarters and laundry soap to do my laundry.

The clerk Anthony decided to laugh hysterically at me for going to the ATM to get cash to buy quarters to do laundry. I mean he didnt stop laughing until I went back to my room. He gladly sold me an amenity card for $2.50 just so I could put $4 on it to do my laundry. Then I paid $1.50 for the laundry soap. I went back to my room and called customer relations and sat on hold for 20 min for them to close and I finally got picked up by reservations. They were no help other than taking my name and number for someone from customer relations to call me back in 24 to 36 business hours. So I will find out then why I spent $11 for "the cheapest hotel laundry" advertisement while on hold for customer relations" my laundry.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

The hotel had a tobacco smell. The whole hotel had a terrible odor. The female customer service rep non-caring attitude. When I called about the WI-FI room hook up. When I ask for the kitchen utensils to warm up my carry out food they were dirty. The telephone in the room was broken. The mattress in the room very firm. Plush is better. The best thing about this Hotel is the Housekeeping Staff, please give them a raise in pay. The hotel has no elevator service.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Tried to check in after reserving a conjoining room the day before. Took 25 minutes for the staff to ensure us there was no conjoining room there to finally figure out the room was not indeed booked, and was indeed was reserved for us ...and was a conjoining room! Then tried to get a copy of my key in a.m. after waiting for staff joking around in the back, but cant get one because I dont have my i.d on me but have already stayed a night. Staff was able to give me another key the night before no problem, no i.d. Seems that nobody really knows what is going on. I can see why others gave 2 stars. The nicest piece of my experience here was that it was clean.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Spoke with a representative named "Sarah" (Guest Relations: 1-800-804-3724, option 4) who neglected to properly find overcharges and due credit to our credit card amounting to more than $127.00. When asked for why these mistakes occurred, representative "Sarah" stated in a cool, sly manner, "I'm sorry but I can't find what you're talking about." She then proceeded to become accusatory and manipulative to the extent of rationalizing overcharges with "you people were no-shows," "you people changed the number of guests during your stay." We did none of these things other than simply changing hotel locations via Extended Stay Customer Support assistance.

Representative "Sarah" then put us on hold and stated that she spoke with the "Hotel Manager" where we stayed to resolve the matter (which she said had an "indefinite" time frame for us to receive properly due credit); by this time, "Sarah's" manipulative approach was getting a bit much, so we asked her if she really did speak with the Hotel Manager, to which she slyly responded that she spoke with a "member of management." We again asked if she spoke with the "Hotel Manager" as she lead us to believe, to which she again responded, "I spoke with a member of management."

We then asked to speak with Sarah's supervisor and she pushed back refusing a transfer and that she would need permission from her supervisor first before transferring. She left us dangling on hold and curtly said that she would transfer us and we could leave a message (No supervisor, just leave a message). We won't be booking with this Hotel again given the horrendous customer service and record-keeping; unfortunately, we encountered a manipulative representative who made it that much more horrid.

Extended Stay America Company Information