1.16/5
Based on 157 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dollar Rent A Car

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

1562 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Dollar/Europcar Rental are outright criminals. When you book everything is fine, once you arrive the excuses start why they cannot honor your booking price even with a confirmation in hand. They screw you over and over until you agree just to get out of the late night dark airport car rental area. Crooked Dollar has billed my credit card to where I could have rented a private jet and even my card insurer said there is nothing we can do because it is crooked Dollar/Europcar rental. Do yourselves a favor stay away from these crooks.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I rented a car and less than two hours of driving the tire burst. I called customer service and was told, "Just bring the car back and we can switch to a different one". I drive all the way back to the rental place (I was on a road trip and this literally put us 4 hours behind) for an exchange as this can only happen at corporate location. I exchange vans and am told everything will just switch to the new vehicle. Then when I drop off I am charged $80 freaking dollars for gas!!! I was told that didn't transfer, but everything else did. I also had to pay $38 for the tire that blew within an two hours of being on the road. I will never rent from them again! I reached out to customer service and they were no help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I arrived in San Diego at midnight. Picked up my car. THey asked me if I wanted to decline CDW and I said yes. I would NEVER take it as I have 2 credit cards that cover me. I have never taken CDW in 20 years. Anyway it was late and we were tired so I check did not check my receipt. SUre enough when I returned the car and they emailed the receipt they had added a $68 charge for a 3 day rental. They also have hidden fees when you return the car which is not on your original booking. Crooks. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have rented from a number of car rental places in the past but this is seriously the worst experience I have ever had. A few weeks ago I had a car from them in Houston, Texas and everything was going fine. I returned it without filling up and I understand I had to pay some fees for that to which I really can't complain. But what happened next is just wrong. A few days later I noticed that I had some crazy charges on my credit card so I decided to investigate. After all how much do they charge for gas. It end up that a day after I returned it somebody concluded that I had smoked in the car. The problem is I don't even smoke. To add further insult to injury I am driving the car with children passengers the whole time. I did call to explain it to them and customer service was nice enough to credit me $150 out of the $300 charge. They did tell me to speak to the location manager in order to resolve this.

Two weeks later I went back to Houston and decided to rent from them again, mainly because this trip was booked a while back. The manager told me that he could not help me and gave me somebody else's contact info, email and phone number. I did try to reach this mystery person but had no luck. He never replied to my email and when I called the number appeared to not even be active. At the next day I end up getting a flat tire after hitting a pothole. I called roadside assistance and they told me somebody would be there in 30-45 minutes. After making numerous calls I ended up waiting over 2.5 hours. Which messed up my whole trip. It turns out the lady on the phone never gave the tow truck my contact info and they couldn't find me so they left even though I gave them specific instructions on how to locate me.

The next day when I returned the car in order to exchange it they took all my belongings out of the car and then wouldn't give me another car until I provided them with a claim number, for hitting a pothole and getting a flat. I eventually resolved the matter after the credit card company assisted me. After a while they provided me another car and I was on my way.

Then the next day when I returned the car after driving it for less than a day the girl before she even got into the car asked me if I smoked in the car, and I explained to her I do not smoke. She proceeds to charge me $300 again (incidentally) it was the same girl that charged me the last time. I think that they had something entered on the computer referencing to the last incident and they charged me automatically without any justification. Now I need to call and try to get a refund for half of the amount and try to speak to somebody at the location for the remainder. All I can say is never again, I am done with this crappy company. They are scammers. Stay clear. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices. This is how they fish you in.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

First off if a -0 would exit that would be my rating for this company. I did my reservation online with Expedia, the total was a good price since they also included an insurance totaling $112.00, I also told them I need 2 car seats since I was traveling with my children and they never told me that would be an extra charge. When we arrived to the airport and went to pick up our vehicle we were told the total would be more totaling $231.00 which was now the extra fees of the car seats (which again was never told to me) and extra fee for paying with a debit card (another daily fee) meaning there was hidden fees of $119 more which was never told to me, it's like I was paying 2 rental cars. When I tried to ask why these charges they said they had nothing to do with Expedia or online. They wanted me to call and cancel with Expedia and do the reservations with them.

I'm not sure if they get commission from their sales but I wouldn't want to give her my commission either way since she was very rude and not personable, didn't feel comfortable with her since I would ask her questions and she did not know how to answer them clearly. When we went to return the car they refused to give us a receipt that we had turned in the car, my husband had to speak another employee and she was the one who helped us after he demanded a receipt. Also, the car seats that we had to pay for were not safe at all, did not have proper harness or latches, and they were very very very filthy. I will NEVER EVER use this company again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I wish I had read the postings before I rented a car from Dollar in Houston. I wasn't too happy to receive a bill for $93.15 for 9 tolls of .35 each but with a $90 administration fee. I had no idea that tolls were charged by electronic billing in Texas. I had never even seen such a thing before. After the dollar fine company was called I had a 50% percent reduction. I was told I had an option to purchase a daily "fee coverage" plan for a ridiculous amount of money to cover $3.15 in toll fees. I had no opportunity offered to pay the tolls when I turned in the vehicle. A simpler method would have been for Dollar to charge my cc for these toll fees but to add $15 for each fee is a total ripoff. It's just a way to screw the renter and raise the rental fee. This is criminal and should looked into by the state. No more trips to Texas for me and definitely no more Dollar rentals when I need a car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We rented a car from Dollar and at the end had 9 tolls in Florida--which are automatic tolls and no place to pay on the road. We received a bill for $9.95 in tolls and $85 in administrative fees. I fought this charge but they did not budge. This is not only outrageous but it is a hidden fee by Dollar. DO NOT RENT FROM DOLLAR. They called this a violation and fine--give me a break. Very unethical.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We may have signed an agreement to pay all tolls and "applicable administrative fees", but when we received a bill in the mail for $6.12 in tolls and $90 for administrative fees, I find that excessive! An itemized list was enclosed that indicated 6 separate tolls: 2 instances each for $.80, $1, and $1.26. There was a $15 administrative fee tacked on for EACH toll occurrence. This company needs to specify upfront the cost incurred for the tolls if the fee is going to be over 1800%. Better yet, just state a flat rate for toll charges or limit the total amount that will be charged. We will never rent from Dollar again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My boyfriend made a reservation for a car for 10 days in Florida. When he arrived to pick up the car, he realized his license was expired and they would not rent him the car obviously. They did not offer to refund it then and there, said he had to call it in. I called for him and was bounced around to 4 different people. The 4th person was supposedly a supervisor and he refused to issue a refund saying the reason is in the terms and conditions. Does anybody read those??? No, you just sign up to reserve the car.

After arguing for over half an hour, he still refused to issue a refund. So this company stole $182 from my boyfriend, what a horrible company they are. Their parent company is Hertz, so they will no longer receive business from me or anyone I know. They are THIEVES to keep $182 when he didn't even use a car from them. Horrible customer service, can barely understand the people they have working for them (outsourced to the Phillippines by the way). It just disgusts me that big corporations like HERTZ can get away with BS like this.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Picked up a 2018 Nissan Altima from Tampa International to drop it off at Miami International the next day and besides the $250 security fee they charge if you don't have a credit card, they charged $211 for I don't know what and over the agreed fee of 100$ for the rental for a day, they charged 62$ more even though I had paid for toll pass at the pickup as suggested by the lady there. Very annoying and unpleasant lady at the Tampa Airport desk as well. Total killjoy. Never renting from them again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

If you rent from Dollar, BIG IF, make sure the second driver is included in the rental. We did not and were forced to pay ridiculous second driver costs, never had this experience in years of car rentals when travelling. We will never use this company ever again. Read the reviews and decide for yourself... When I questioned the charges they got feisty and rude.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

One should not have to be an attorney to rent a car. On 10/25/17 arrived at Dallas Airport to pick up prepaid vehicle where I was told in the State of Texas I was told I had to have additional insurance. It totaled more than the price of the vehicle. When I got home I contacted them stating when renting using M/C or Visa a person is automatically covered besides that I had explained my auto insurance covers me in continental United States and the charge was removed. I had returned the vehicle on 11/01/17 and on 12/05/17 their fine department sends me, not arriving until 12/22/17, a bill for $7.44 for using 4 toll roads driving that morning to the airport that contained little or no notification much-less gates or booths it was a toll road. The real problem here is there were $15.00 late fee attached to each one of them a totaling $60.00.

Once again I contacted them, explained my dispute. They told me it's stated in the fine print regarding tolls and fines. I also found out they subcontract the fines you receive to another company. I stated, first I rented through your company not your outsourced company, that it is your company that will receive the fallout if I am forced to pay. Secondly, how can your company take the time out to point out the extra insurance (scam) issue but not take the time to point out toll or traffic fine warnings/issues or how to check or pay timely upon vehicle return? Third How can I be charged $60.00 in late fees when I was not notified of fine until more than a month later? Lastly what proof do I have this Company Dollar has subcontracted is not paying the fines timely and assessing me the fines that are supposedly going to the State of Texas.

His answer was he cannot bring up the issue on the screen due to it is with the outsourced company but gave me a number to contact directly. WELL what do you think happened when I called the number (877) 411-4300? It prompts you to a number of Car Rental Agencies and then I pressed Dollar. It asks if you would like to check if you accessed any fines, tolls or traffic tickets while renting your vehicle. WHAT!! And this is not pointed out to you when you either start or return your Rental but the insurance scam is... I am in the process of disputing the late fee through DOLLARRENTALFINE.COM, sending a letter to both the State Attorney's Office of Texas and Dollar Corporate Headquarters. BEWARE!!! and I hope this helps others!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I rented a suburban to go to Tennessee in my vacation, in Atlanta I have a brake problem, when I got on my destination I called the customer service and they took one day to get a tow truck to get the Suburban and myself to Knoxville airport to fix the brakes, and they gave-me a Santa Fe SUV to stay until they have the Suburban fixed, this was before Christmas, I called the consumer service every day to make sure I will get the Suburban ready to go back to Orlando, in any time I accept to switch the Suburban for Santa Fe SUV. The Dollar consumer service never call me back to give me any update about the Suburban.

Every time I called them, the answer were the Suburban is not fixed yet and when that will be ready they will let me know. Now is time to going back to Orlando and Dollar rent a Car does not have the Suburban, because they already rented to somebody else. Now I have a downsized car not able to fit 5 people, one dog and all the luggage to come back to Orlando, now I have this nightmare to find a way to fix this situation because "DOLLAR RENT A CAR IN KNOXVILLE" people are crooked, dishonest, does not honor they word and they really don't care about the customer.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Rented vehicle through Europcar. Have my own insurance but they insisted I take LVS insurance for an additional cost of $ 198.00. Would have changed company if I had had the time. Never again with Dollar. (They are owned by Hertz, you would think they would be more professional.) Never again with Dollar car rental-scam artists.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I could not give this company 0 stars or minus 5, the service I had at Dollar Rent A Car which is owned by Hertz was horrible. I rented a vehicle for Thanksgiving, I got to the front desk and I told the attendant I did not require insurance since I bought it from Priceline.com which I used to do my travel arrangements. Well I got my contract, which you cannot even read in the little piece of paper they print in on. At the end of the rental they emailed me the invoice for the rental and I noticed I had been charged for insurance. I called customer service and they could not do anything over the phone, what a waste of time. I was asked to email customer relations with the proof that I had bought insurance from Priceline.com. I emailed all the stuff they requested. A week went by so I called to find out what was taking so long for my refund to be put back in my credit card. I was told that it would take 2 weeks to get solved.

I finally got an email from Hertz saying that I have a profile with them and in it states that I needed insurance, I explained to them that I told the desk attendant I will not be needing it at this time but they did not care. I was charged 100.00 for insurance and they will not refund me one penny. Do not rent from this company ever, the car smelled like an ashtray, I had to spray it with Lysol so I could drive with my family in it. The total experience with them was horrible. They are rude on the phone and put you on hold for excessive periods of time. Whatever you do don't rent from any of these companies.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

When renting a car they do not warn you that each toll you go through you get a $15 fee charge that you have to pay, I went through two tolls of $1.50 each and they charged me $33. Almost as much as my car cost for the day!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I rented a car from Dollar Rent A Car. While I was on the interstate driving we hit a deer. The accident damaged the car. I placed a call to Dollar Rent A Car emergency roadside assistance. I was told that nothing could be done for me at 3:30 am because all offices were closed. They promised to help me at 7 am and asked me to call back then. I returned the call back at 7 am and was promised that by 8 am I would be picked up by Uber and rental would be towed at same time. At 11 am tow truck comes and Uber never arrives. Tow truck driver request I wait outside while he takes the rental. I refused to stay out in the cold freezing with my suitcases on the side of the road. He refused to wait 10 min and left. In the meantime I continue to wait for my ride. At 12 pm I call emergency roadside assistance and they said Uber canceled and they were having difficulties assisting me with a ride to pick up new rental.

At that time I was pleased that I did not wait outside without the rental. It was extremely cold outside. I was already inside a car without heat being that the radiator was not working from accident. At 130 pm Dollar Rent A Car called back stating that second tow truck was coming out and that this one would not only tow car but would also accommodate my family and I transportation to where a new rental would be available. Towing company arrives, yet they state they know nothing about provided us a ride and refused to take my family. They simply were here for damaged rental. I once again refused to sit out in cold weather without any idea of when I would be picked up. I re-called emergency assistance and requested help. I explained that we were cold and had no heat and they simply apologized for not being able to help us.

They stated that they simply had no way to provide us with emergency roadside assistance and that if anything changes they would call me back. It is now 130 pm I am still out in the cold awaiting for emergency roadside assistance. After multiple and multiple calls from us to Dollar Rent A Car we are still waiting with no help. This experience is absolutely horrible. If I had not refused to give up the damaged auto I would have been out in the cold on the side of the road for over 10 hours now. I would NEVER, EVER want to do any business with Dollar Rent A Car AGAIN! Please do yourself a favor STAY AWAY FROM DOLLAR RENT A CAR!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My son rented a car from Dollar while on a job interview in Dallas Texas in November 2017. Being young and naive in car rental pricing & policies he either did not understand or read the policy and waived the toll road coverage. He says he avoided the toll roads and does not remember going through any toll booths, but somehow, someway, somewhere he was on a toll road. It was a surprise when a bill came in the mail for 95 cents toll plus a $15 "administration fee" from Dollar. I'm sure other car rental companies have the same policy, but I consider this "administration fee" a scam. Dollar made $15 off of us but they will lose much more than that in the long run, as I will never rent from them again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Rented a car from Dollar Rent A Car Virginia (Norfolk). Unfortunately for me, the airport Dollar employees didn't explain or didn't offered a EZ PASS. Wasn't aware being new that there aren't any possibility to paid to cash lane for toll roads. The city only provide EZ pass. I figured out that I will be send a bill for that via Dollar. I did received the bill, $8 for toll number one, with a "administrative fee" they called of $75. The other one bill arrived $10 with a "administrative fee" of $90. Shortly before that, even though the car was returned full of gas, I was charged $17 for the gas. Luckily me, I was able to provide the proof the car was returned full gas.

Went to Facebook message and explained the issue about the toll roads "administrative fee". The response was, "We sorry you have received a traffic violation that is the reason you must paid the administrative fee." Called the police office Norfolk, nobody was aware about any ticket. I contacted the toll roads of Norfolk, the employees told me that every car from Dollar have a EZ pass and the cost for Dollar is $1,10 monthly per car. I stopped my Amex for Dollar allowing only the cost of $18 toll roads.

A few days ago, I was very surprised to see that Dollar was allowed to remove $83 without my permission, even though the card was closed for Dollar rental car. We understood with Amex employees that Dollar rental cars used a different name "E-Z Pass toll roads". I contacted the EZ pass toll road Norfolk again. They never sent me any request to paid anything. Conclusion, Dollar rental car seems to use another name to extort more money from their clients. I am refusing to paid almost $200 administrative fee for a toll road that cost $18, which I am hundred percent sure, I never drive more than 50 miles the full week I was in Norfolk. Dollar rental cars have E-Z Pass each car. I wasn't aware about no cash lane possibility to paid. Norfolk Dollar rental cars are aware about that issue in their city, won't advice the client. That is purposely being done. Dollar rental cars using another name to access my American Express is a fraud. Be aware of that company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

They really pushed me to buy additional insurance to the point of being annoying and I declined. The windshield was chipped while I was driving. They never contacted my insurance company although I filled out the contact information for them. They only corresponded via snail mail despite me trying to call them to try to set them up with my insurance company. What I really objected to was the nearly $300 charges for loss of use and administrative fees in addition to the $519 cost of replacing the windshield. I have been told that other rental companies also add this charge. I really do not care, this is truly outrageous, next time I will consider Uber or Lyft. I will never rent from Dollar again, will try National or Enterprise based on friend's suggestions.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I rented a car from Dollar and chose not to get the exorbitantly overpriced EZ Pass from Dollar. I figured I would just pay the tolls in cash. Unfortunately, in Mass, where we rented, most tolls are toll by license and what Dollar did not tell us is that it charges $15.00 plus the amount of the toll for each toll charged to the car. If you have a $1.00 toll it costs $16.00. If you have three $1.00 tolls it costs $48.00. We paid $110.50. Hope it was worth it. Will not rent from Dollar again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I went to Greensboro NC airport to rent a car. I was travel to my son football game. I arrived at counter around 745 and counter person continue to talk. Didn't ask for help at first. Then finally he did. He took my license and then asked me to swipe. Never told me total charge for the rental so I swiped my card. He stated it couldn't be read and that their chip part don't work and stated my card had chips and stated needed to speak to his manager. He stated his name was Nate, very unprofessional and just didn't try to assist at all. Call customer of the problem. They was no help, rude, stated to call back in morning. So I went down to another company and had no problem. I will advise anybody not to use the Dollar Rental Car in Greensboro NC...

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

These people are thieves. I rented a car in Vegas and the kid said they'd put a deposit on the car which I thought was the share. NO! It was a charge for extra insurance that I stated I DID NOT WANT but stupidly initialed without reading as it was late and a long flight. They took advantage of me and raped my wallet! Shameful, Shady and despicable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Like so many have experienced before me, Dollar's toll policy is a scam. Period. They should be embarrassed as a company for their extortionist policy, and I want to share their costly deception with as many people as possible to dissuade people from using this clearly amoral company. I feel sorry for their customer service representatives who must be fielding complaints from justifiably irate customers all day. Its okay for a company to be greedy; just don't hide it. Just raise your rental rates if you want to make money, instead of being crafty extortionist thieves.

I rented a car for three days in Norfolk for a job interview. I stayed in Portsmouth. The route between these two places required that you pass through a cashless toll charging about $2. I was offered the Platepass at the desk, and declined as I had been accustomed to paying cash at tolls. At the time of the transaction I was unaware of the toll and that the toll was cashless, and furthermore the desk agent did not mention in the slightest the toll roads in the area or the penalty fees incurred by passing through them without a pass.

A month after returning my rental I received an invoice for $67 ($7 in total for four toll charges and $60 in administrative fees at $15/toll charge). I found this absurd. More absurd was the fact that after calling Dollar customer service, I found out that the plate pass cost was $15/day. Either way dollar was going to extort me out of this money. Over the phone they reduced my $67 fee to $50 which was the would-be cost of a plate pass for my 3-day rental. My advice is to do your research with tolls in the area. With the advent of cashless tolls, you are totally at the mercy of the often costly policies that are sneakily and exploitatively enforced by rental car companies.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I rented my car through Travelocity for a full size car rental at Dollar Car Rental company starting Oct. 12/17. It was a reasonable price for the 10 days of usage, until the scam was pulled on me. When I came up to the counter, Gregory (a service/counter person) served me. When I told him that I did not need any insurance, and that I was fully covered he told me to push the RDM button, as that is what he said that I should push if selecting "No Insurance". I foolishly did, not realizing that he had just scammed me to add $26.88 per day to my car rental costs!

He did not tell me there was any additional fee, of course! I did not find out until I looked at my final rental bill, and received charges for $301.12 additional over the already previously "paid for" of approx. $400.00 for this same rental, bringing my total rental cost up to $70.00 per day!!! I called Dollar and told them I had asked for "No Insurance", and all the customer service said they were willing to credit me was 25%, or $67.20 of the $301.12. Leaving a balance to pay of $233.92.

I called Travelocity, and they stated that they cannot do anything about this, but, would refer a ticket to their help desk. But, no ticket number was provided. I will be calling my credit card company to withhold payment, and not pay Dollar Rent A Car this money. I suggest anyone running into this same issue with Dollar, do the same thing. This is a very serious SCAM that they run, as the service desk personnel (eg. Gregory) made a commission on my trust of him as to which button to push! BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I reserved a rental car for a 4 day period (Oct 2017) with Dollar Rent A Car on Hawaii and got a quote for the price for the car itself and for the extra fee for delivering the car in another location (Waikiki) than where I would pick it up (Honolulu Intl. Airport) of 50 USD. I also understood that there would be additional fees for insurance... But these were not priced in the quote. The total was quoted to be approx. 200 USD for 4 days.

When picking up on the car everything was prepared and I choose the mid-range level of insurance waivers (not premium) without having them specified in price... And that's when I got ripped off. 200 USD for 4 days of waivers LDW, LIS, PAI, PEC... And I did not react until it was too late. My mistake... Just want to make sure that anyone that get a quote from Dollar, make sure to get a corresponding price quote for the insurance waivers... Because in my case they doubled the total charge. 200 USD for 4 days = 18000 USD per year = Rip off!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Reserved a luxury car at Houston intl airport, counter agent was useless, no info of value at all. The only thing she would tell me was that I had to have a gps unit as luxury cars don't have gps, I had to have a toll pass even though I wasn't staying in Houston and I had to have extra insurance as my national policy was not valid in Texas. She even went as far as to tell me that Texas has its own policies that I had to buy and those were the only policies that are valid in Texas. I was then issued a base model sedan, no leather seats, no gps, no keyless entry, no auto headlights or wipers, no features at all that are normally associated with luxury cars as per auto industry definitions.

When I questioned it I was told to get a luxury car I have to upgrade and pay additional rates for a premium luxury class. In dollars warped way of thinking luxury, full size, standard and premium are all the same car which is a 4 door sedan with air, cruise, pw and pl, nothing more. There is quite a price gap between the 4 classes but all are for the same car. Anything other than standard class is a rip off, they will lie to your face and laugh at you as you are stomping away. No refunds, no satisfaction. It is a shameless scam.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

When I arrived to get my car, I was asked "do you want the additional insurance coverage on the vehicle?" My response "No, I'm visiting family and will be riding a lot in my sister’s car." I proceeded to sign on the screen, she said my signatures was "for a compact vehicle" and "that I agree to return the car to a full tank." When I got home I noticed that my Visa card had increased and I suspected fraud. I found that they had charged me $134.94. I have my own insurance and would not be driving the vehicle except to and from the airport and 3 miles away to grab meals. I NEVER get insurance. I TOLD HER NO! So, they got me.

This is how they make their extra money. This was the first time using them and the last. I will be writing corporate. My flight was delayed getting in, nightfall was approaching and I have trouble seeing at night and had a long drive to the burbs. I should have re-checked the documents but I trusted them to be honest and not liars and cheats. AARP called them and they refuse to refund the money because they have my signatures.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I did a rental by Rentals Car of a Toyota RAV 4 at the store of Dollar located at Manhattan – 22nd Street, am December 11st, and I'd like to register a complaint about the clerk who picked me up at the Dollar store in New York. The clerk offered me a non-stop toll appliance and, as I found it very expensive, I informed him that I was going to use the car to go to Canada and asked how many tolls there were on this route. I was informed by the same that there would be approximately ten tolls to go and ten more to return. I then accepted the offer but discovered on the trip that there are only two tolls to go and three to go back.

I felt cheated and victim of an attitude of bad faith. In addition, the clerk did not explain to me that I had to open the appliance to get through the tolls and only after passing two with the appliance closed did I find out that it should have opened. I think it should be the duty of the employees who rent a vehicle to explain all the necessary commands for the correct use of the vehicle and its accessories. I was very disappointed with Dollar by the attitude of this employee and certainly lost a client for the next opportunities.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

They did not have the car I reserved and paid for. Was told it would take five minutes. After 30 minutes and no communication from anyone I asked for the Manager and interestingly enough the car showed up a few minutes later. Clerk in booth where I picked up the car was about as friendly as a North Korean dictator! I was never given the opportunity to decline the collision damage waiver and instead was sold some meaningless extra coverage that I thought was in place of the collision damage waiver. They really want to sell you all kind of extra stuff but other than that their communication was very cold and dismissive. Never again will Dollar be my choice.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information

www.dollar.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use