3.7/5 (523 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: May 14, 2022

I prepaid for my rental and when I got to the counter I was charged another $138 in various "fees". On top of that, I drove on an unavoidable toll road that was all electronically charged. I went thru two reader stations on the way to and from my destination. Dollar charged me $15 for each 'read' so I had to pay another $60 for $2.11 worth of tolls. What a scam...they know you can't pay for a toll with cash or credit card so they tack on a huge fee to simply increase their profits. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I believe if you deal with a company that invests in DECEITFUL advertising. Dollar car rental has become complicit in dealing with such a partner. I have gone on the site numerous times, on an effort to book a rental for San Francisco. I took a pic, but it won't post, so I copied the text.

Your Selected Car
Excellent Choice!
Limited stock
SANITIZE
Chevrolet Spark or similar
ECONOMY VEHICLE
dollar. CAR RENTAL
-35%(*discount of 90.00 daily rate)
Price Per Day:
US$ 60.00-(*NOTE THE DAILY PRICE)

Total: US$ 427.27 (*does NOT add up as per advertised daily price)

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I rented online for a total charge of 106$. The guy at the counter was a total jerk, snarky and disrespectful. I landed late in the evening and after waiting thirty minutes in line at Ft Lauderdale airport, just wanted to get the car and get out of there. The guy tried to talk me into a toll pass, car seat for an infant although I was traveling alone, he tried three times to get me into a more expensive vehicle, it was exhausting and I finally raised my voice and said “I just want what I paid for when I made the reservation and NOTHING ELSE”. Finally walked out of there and drove to my destination only to discover he charged me for a “damage waiver“ of 203$$ despite my having told him specifically I had my own rental insurance. They also charged a 200$ fee for a hold on, my credit card.

When I called the next day about the damage waiver they said they could do nothing because my rental period had already started. When I went back to the airport rental counter the agent told me the same thing. When I insisted he call a manager he said one wasn’t available. When I insisted he telephone a supervisor, he picked up his cell and allegedly called someone (I doubt there was anyone on the other end of the call) and that person allegedly said they couldn’t reverse the charges. This company is awful, they are dishonest and do a bait and switch when people are vulnerable. I would never ever rent from them again a and recommend no one else does. I wish I had read the other horrible reviews first. It’s interesting there isn’t a place for reviews on their website! Buyer BEWARE!

Original review: May 6, 2022

For people who love reading dramatic reviews, this one’s for you… While in Florida, one of the tires in an *expensive* car I rented from Dollar/Thrifty popped. While driving! In the middle of the highway! I managed to safely pull over to the side of the road, and then called the Dollar help line. The woman asked us to check for a spare tire (there was none) and even SHE made a comment sort of like “Dang, y’all are on the side of the highway with no spare tire?” Like?? Ma’am?? If you’re stressing, imagine how I’M feeling!

The woman then went on to explain that a tow truck would be on the way, and once the tow truck was en route back to the facility with the car, then and only then would a taxi/Lyft be sent our way. Sus, but okay. However, after the tow truck came and left, we waited and waited and no lyft came. So, we called in to check the status, and another Dollar employee (a different person, a man) told us that no one had been sent our way, but HE would send someone. He asked to confirm our location (we told him we hadn’t gone anywhere) and told us a Lyft would be otw soon.

About half an hour later, I get a call from the Lyft driver asking where we are. He asked if we were near a Target or Walmart or anything, and I had to explain to him that we were near NOTHING. We were like 10 miles from the nearest gas station. The lyft guy said he’d apparently been sent the wrong address because he was nowhere near us, then cancelled the ride.

Mind you, the car broke down around 12. At this point, it’s like 3pm. My friends and I had been baking in the sun without water for like 3 hours now, so I tried to call my own Lyft (with my 10% remaining battery) and figured maybe Dollar would reimburse me. I sent the Lyft to the closest landmark, the gas station, miles behind us. However, when this driver called (asking if we were nearby), I explained the situation and he basically said that if he couldn’t put an exact address into his GPS, he couldn’t pick us up. And so, he also cancelled the ride.

This is at hour 4 outside in the sun, so I called a friend and begged her to come pick us up. She was at work and an hour away, but she left early and came to get us anyway because she could undoubtedly hear the hysteria in my voice. We’re lucky a kind passerby stopped to offer us some water bottles to hold us over until our friend came and got us. Then, she drove us to the airport so we could rent a new car.

We got to the MCO airport around 6:30pm. What really baffles me about this whole situation is that the employees weren’t even EXPECTING us. Dollar managed to get a tow truck to our exact location and took their car away lickety-split, but then when it came to actually ensuring their customers weren’t abandoned/murdered on the side of the highway, they really dropped the ball. I understand they have no control over Lyft, but surely SOMEONE could have driven out to get us? Or called the police to come get us?

People often rent cars when on vacation, right? Is it crazy to expect that the rent-a-car agency would ensure I was safe somewhere, considering I’m in a state where I could potentially have no one to rely on? I fortunately had a friend near-ish (an hour away) who dropped everything to come chauffer me to the airport, but what if I hadn’t? My safety was in Dollar’s hands, and they didn’t give a crap about anything but their car.

No, I didn’t get any reimbursement for anything. Not for the gas my friend wasted driving us around (imagine if I’d actually ordered a Lyft), not for the entire day of vacation wasted, nothing. I called customer service and they said to speak to someone in-person at the airport, but when I did that, the manager at the airport told me to call customer service. I left a review on Dollar’s website in the complaint section, and I just got an email back from Thrifty saying they’d give the manager in MCO my comments.

Of course I’m hoping this doesn’t happen to anyone else, but vacations are *expensive* and I lost an entire day of mine. Renting a hotel for a single night is like $100 alone, and then there’s the fact that I wasn’t driving just to waste gas, but because I had reservations and tickets booked! All wasted! Everyone I tell this story to seems horrified about the terrible customer service, except anyone working at Thrifty/Dollar themselves. My friends and I are 22—NO ONE deserves to get abandoned on the side of the road, frying in the hot sun for hours on end, but especially not inexperienced kids on their very first vacation away from home. This whole ordeal was absolutely terrible.

Original review: April 27, 2022

In February we rented and received a confirmation number for a vehicle at the Atlanta Airport from April 4, 3:00 pm until 9am April 6 for $205 from Dollar Car rental. Upon arriving in Atlanta we were told, by Martina, the rental agent, there were no cars available for us either there or in the entire airport. However she told us there were probably a few still available at the Advantage Rental Agency, a counter away. (There was even a sign out that they still had cars). Parent company to both these agencies is Hertz. The Advantage agent told us the cost would be $1000 plus fees for a total of $1367. Being 700 miles from home and an hour away from our hotel we were forced to proceed with the transaction. Meanwhile, while we were preparing to sign the contract, Martina from Dollar came to the counter and told the agent servicing us that she had a couple more cars available and was ready to send them over to her.

At that time my husband did not think to show her our agreement with Dollar and to tell her we would take the car, since she sent us to this company. We feel we were being scammed and they were just using this as a ploy to get more money for the cars. (Actually 7x the original contract amount). We received a survey from Advantage, at which time we stated this experience, and their only response was to send back the copy of the signed contract. After reading many of the reviews for both these companies, we are convinced they are substandard rental companies, and do not value their customers or the service they provide. We will be referring this matter to the parent company Hertz. Would never recommend either of these companies to anyone and would appreciate any helpful information as we continue to pursue this matter.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Dollar Rental Company, the worst customer experience imaginable. My family of 5 flew into Orlando on Wednesday April 13th. After picking up our bags, we got into the Dollar car pick up line around 1AM. We waited in line for approximately 30-45 minutes (with about 40 other families) and I realize the line wasn’t moving at all. I ask the lady Dollar Rental rep what was going on and she said there was an issue with inventory, meaning they had none because they had given all of our reservation to other clients.

How is this possible, I confirmed my Dollar car reservation just 6 hours prior??? I asked the lady how this happened….At that point she started yelling and me and the 40 other families saying it wasn’t her fault and “it is what it is”. What??? How is it possible to be so off with their Dollar car reservations??? It's now 2AM and my family is stranded at the airport. Why are we still allowing these rental companies operate like this??? They clearly do not care about me or my family’s wellbeing. Jerry Seinfeld had a skit about this 20 years ago..haven’t we heard this joke enough??? I will tell this Dollar Rental cautionary tale to as many people that will listen…and post this to as many social media outlets as humanly possible. Shame in you Dollar Rental.

Original review: April 13, 2022

My experience with Dollar Car Rental (Dollar Rent a Car) at Daytona Beach was absolutely terrible. The lines were incredibly long, they only had one or two staff members, they lied to my face, they indicated false information on my rental documentation and they broke my rental contract. Please do yourself a favor and pay a little bit more to rent somewhere else.

I rented twice through them on my trip. The lines were so long that it took 45 minutes to pick my first rental and over 1.5 hours the to pickup my second rental. My second rental wasn't ready when I got to the counter so I waited another 1.5 hrs until I could leave. When I or others complained to the manager, she dismissed our frustration by stating that "I've been here for 4 hours". The manager also lied to my face about staff calling off being the reason, which I knew was untrue because another rental employee at the airport told me they only ever have 1-2 Employees working. My rental car drop off time was never updated to accommodate the 1.5 hours of time that was missing from me waiting at the counter for my vehicle to be ready.

The paperwork that was provided indicated a full tank; this was not the case, so I took a photo of the fuel level. I contacted Dollar Car Rental support over the phone and they stated they would document the issue. When I returned the vehicle, the fuel discrepancy was not documented. I told the manager about the issue and offered to show photographic proof but was told it was not needed and they would adjust the paperwork. While waiting at the airport for my flight, I got an email update that indicated that they attempted to charge me for the fuel despite the fact that I made the manager aware and even left the car with 9/10 fuel level. I went back to the counter and the paperwork was updated and the charge was removed.

They also put the incorrect mileage on my rental paperwork; I notified them of this and they didn't update the information, despite my request even after showing them photographic proof. I contacted Dollar Car Rental via email and they simply responded that the charges on my account were correct; they failed to address my concerns around the missing rental time, falsified paperwork and poor customer service from their local associates and phone associates. If you want to deal with snide managers, long wait times, erroneous paperwork, poor customer service and support, falsified charges and incompetent support staff, rent from Dollar Car Rental - otherwise, I'd recommend going somewhere else... I know I will Dollar at all costs in the future.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Rented a car at Dollar at Sarasota Airport (went thru Autoslash, then Priceline, then Dollar). Problems at counter resulted in 2.5 hour wait (some sort of computer issue). Chose the option to bring back auto with full tank of gas. Topped off (twice) at Sunoco station that is just under 4 miles from airport. Gas gauge showed a full tank. Final bill came and it showed an extra change (for gas) of just under $39.00. Called them and explained I topped off and they told me they would issue a credit. Of course credit never happened. Called again and got a different story. This time they told me the charge was for 2 gallons of gas and when I told them I had filled tank, they said they couldn't refund but would consider a portion of a refund. Of course nothing ever happened. Finally, I complained to Priceline and they logged my request and said they would get back to me in 7 to 10 days. Of course they never responded either.

Original review: April 7, 2022

On April 3rd I made a reservation in Atlanta for April 18th, prepaid $101.36. I was headed to Atlanta to be with my brother for his surgery. My brother called to tell me the date was changed. I went on to the Dollar website on April 4th to cancel the reservation. A few days later I looked at my credit card and see that they gave me a credit of $51.36, keeping $50 for themselves. After searching I did find that they will charge $50 if cancelled after 24 hours. To me April 3rd to April 4th is 24 hours, or less. Try to find anyone who says anything other than “that is our policy”. Now I need a car in Atlanta for April 25th - you can bet it won’t be Dollar. Save money, go elsewhere.

Original review: April 6, 2022

They charged us $173.79 in hidden fees - rubbish like concession fee and facility use fee etc. This is beyond the normal rental charges etc. Don't rent a car from them - they are a bunch of disgusting thieves!

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information