2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.5/5 (1015 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I rented a car through Priceline on 11/11/2021 and was charged 279, which was supposedly the total. On 11/24 when I went to pick up the car I was asked if I would like the basic coverage, which I thought I had already selected when I made the reservation on Priceline, so I just assumed that is what they meant so I said yes. Well it wasn't. They added their own little insurance and then charged me an additional 272 on top of the 279. They did not explain anything to me at the time of rental. I wasn't given anything to read before signing just asked to sign which was dumb on my part, I realize that. However, why is the company being so deceptive and not explaining their fees or giving the total amount that will be due at the time of rental? It seems pretty shady to me. Will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Originally, I reserved a car with this company through a third party (Expedia, another company I will also not do business with in the future) and paid a base price. I paid that price at time of reservation. When travel day arrived there was incorrect time for pickup and return and it took well over an hour to get that figured out on phone and virtual chat. At first I was told no change could be made without charging me more $. Trying to get that changed was ridiculously difficult and time consuming.

Upon arriving at my destination airport to get the car, I ended up waiting in line for 4 hours! Four hours beyond my pick up time. Communication about what was happening was terrible and many people dropped out of line, which was more than 80 deep and barely moved. Had I not prepaid through a third party I would also have left. As it turns out, after all was said and done, perhaps I should have.

I was quoted as to paying taxes and fees upon return which I knew was a quote, but the final cost was more than double the quote. I was charged for service (collision) that I did not request, and there were several more fees that were not clearly explained. Shocked that this might happen after waiting 4 HOURS in line. Communication was terrible. Trying to resolve issues was fruitless. There was no effort to refund any part of this and I ended up paying more for the "taxes, fees and other" than I paid for the base price of the car. It was more than double the quote. I wish I had read some reviews or done some investigating ahead of time as it looks as though this company has many dissatisfied customers. I will never use this company again!!! And I will keep spreading the word.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I rented a car using points on my credit card for a trip. Picked up the car, dropped off the car. It was full of gas and I get a bill for 353.67. I call and the tape says to use the online, so three times I get confirmation numbers that they will look into the issue and contact me. Last week I get a call from a collection agency- I sent multiple packages to Dollar and Hertz showing they were paid through points and there were no other fees involved. Still no one contacts me and I get a "you can't rent from us" letter and another collection letter saying it will go on my credit report. Thusly the summary of the experience and the one star. I am talking to an attorney this week on the matter, it's not the money it's the principle.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Waited an hour in line to get service, and another 45 minutes waiting for them to get the car ready. The lady told me I could upgrade to a 4 wheel drive - typically it was $100 a day but with my Costco and AAA discounts it would be only $45 a day. I didn't realize until after I returned the car she meant $45 a day on top of the $55 a day I was already paying for the economy model. Then they charged me a fee for returning it 2 hours early. It cost me over $600 to rent a car for five days. Never going back there.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I reserved a car with Dollar for a family trip to Boston and pre-paid all but the fees. When we arrived at Logan Airport, the Dollar counter was closed and there was a sign to go to the Thrifty counter, which had a line around the corner and through a door! After waiting over an hour to get our car, the associate tried to charge us for insurance (even though we told him our auto insurance covered rental cars), $12.50/day for a toll pass (which didn't include the actual tolls), and an additional $13.75/day for my husband to drive because we used my credit card to pay and he would have to be listed as an additional driver and they wouldn't let us change the credit card at that point.

When we returned the car, there was no one at the check-in area, so we checked with the Hertz check-in and were told to leave the keys in the car and just leave the car where we'd parked. The next day, I get my receipt from Dollar with a charge for three additional hours because they didn't bother to check it in until the middle of the afternoon and I had to fight with their customer service to get a refund. I will never again book a car with Hertz, Dollar or Thrifty!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

First they tried to sneak in $300 on my reservation, without my knowledge. Good thing I noticed. I drove the car a couple of times. I never smoked and no one else was in the car. Then after I returned it I was charged $400 extra for smoke cleaning! I tried to contact the customer service and spent over 2! hours on the phone. Nobody even bothered answering. I'll just have my bank charge it back. Holy **! It's sinking lower and lower. **

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Too many minuses to mention on renting from Dollar at Denver airport, but here are a few: Long wait for pickup, smoky car, rude employees, long wait for shuttle on return, failed to close out my contract, added a random $50 charge. Just skip Dollar/Thrifty.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I got hundreds of dollars in fees that I was not made aware of beforehand. For example there was a toll fee of $1.98 from Sunpass and Dollar added an administrative fee of $29.97 to it. There were multiple fees similar to this one.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

So, even though the rental car companies are price gouging during this time it was still necessary to OVERPAY to the tune of 628.46 for 4 day rental using an American Airlines CITICARD, which was paid in full up front. The vehicle was returned full of gas and the receipt upon turning the car in shows a zero balance due. Now, days later we are told that we are being charged an additional $76 for filling the vehicle up. Of course, the tank WAS FILLED UP and we provided the bank statement showing the $12.85 fuel charge on the return date from Raceway at AIRPORT BOULEVARD in Columbia S.C., the keywords being AIRPORT BLVD in Columbia S.C.

This has gone back and forth with the CITI American Airlines Card people as well as DOLLAR Rent A Car people. Obviously receipts mean nothing and the CITI people have said this needs to be handled through DOLLAR at this point. So, I am putting everyone on notice about how these people think they can conduct business. This complaint, which is going on 4 months now, needs to be resolved so that others that read this can decide if they want to chance doing business with HERTZ/DOLLAR/THRIFTY in the future. Let's hope that the right thing is done.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

We accidentally took the car key with us when we dropped off the car in Minneapolis. We thought we had left it in the car because an attendant checked the car, put a check mark in the window, and told us we were good to go. Nobody ever contacted us about the key - I just found an extra charge on my credit card for over $400. When we contacted Dollar, they said we would have had to return the key to them within 24 hours (impossible, of course, unless we flew back to return it). I would not recommend using this company.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information