2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.8/5 (1357 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: July 22, 2021

My family told me upon arrival that Chicago Illinois crime rate is at an ultimate high. My family told me out of town license plate tags are definitely targeted to rob & possibly kill the occupants. If the local residents/including employees of Dollar rental knew about this escalating crime, then why did they issue me an out of state plate vehicle to drive around in with my child? I'm glad I visited family outside of Chicago 1st, because they warned me to not drive to Chicago in that vehicle. When I spoke to the members in my family in Chicago, they offered to meet me outside of Chicago without me telling them I wasn't driving to them. This should have been asked at the Dollar rental counter by the agent if I mind getting out of state tag car with the criminals targeting them.

It also should've been explained about the cash tolls being obsolete since Covid in 2020. I will never forgive Dollar rental for putting our life in the cross hairs of criminals with that out of state license plate car. Hopefully you'll care more about the renters in the future in the Chicago area than a profit because if customers get killed off, who will Dollar rental have to use their services? Dollar rental's non-verbal actions was wreckless & endangered human life.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Arrived on evening flight to LAX and waited in line for over 3 hours to get rental which was already paid for. There were only four attendants on duty and they were not at all trying to move the line any faster. The vehicle I requested was not available. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL of the extra fees they sneak in. I rejected the fuel fee and returned the vehicle on a full tank of gas. When I got my final bill 4 days later I contested the fee and Dollar customer service refused to reimburse me.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2021

All the bad reviews are true, had a car reserved-got there they had no car, so we had to get what they had left, a full size SUV "Kia Sorento is was it was" $250 for one day, next day we returned with no issues, days later were charge $ 336, for late fee's, we returned car 20 minutes sooner than were suppose to and can prove it with our phone app. Called 1800 number they said they would have to check the camera's, still nothing, you call the number back and no one answers, complete awful experience, if I had enough money I would buy the company, fire everyone and sell it off, truly pathetic customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Horrible customer service! Not sure how they stay in business. Rented a car at Charlotte airport, at an exorbitant price, and headed to counter. Two 70 somethings, one using a walker, the other pulling two suitcases and assorted carry-ons. Followed signs to Dollar - different level. Trekked down the long hall and surprise! Terminal closed. Sign on door said go to Hertz - yup back the way we came.

Drove from Charlotte across I-77 to Virginia to see relatives. Toll road in Statesville area. No problem I thought. Toll reader on windshield so any minor tolls would be added to our rental, right? NOT! This customer gouging outfit actually charged $45 "Administration Fee" for $3 in tolls. Obviously they have no concern about Customer Service or future business. In Florida we have similar toll devices - actual tolls charged, not ridiculous bogus Admin fees! As if a $1,000 week rental weren't bad enough, they add insult to injury. Stay far away from Dollar. They must be financially wrought to be so greedy as to add these fees.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Don't use them. Scammers! I rented a car from Dollar way in advance and paid in advance, except for extra charges that I would have to pay for on the day I picked up car. I rented car for Saturday pickup at 1:00pm. I arrived around 1pm and waited in line until 5:30pm. I was sent out to get my car, and waited for 1 hour before I got it. I left the parking lot at 6:30pm. I returned the car early morning at approx 9:30am on the day I was supposed to dropoff, and they charged me a 2 hour late in fee.

I called the billing department to tell them that I was early in dropping off the car and I should not be charged for the 2 hours late in, when I waited to get my car over six hours late on the first day, which made me miss my conference meeting on that day. They said they don't give partial refunds, so in order to get my money back on my card, I would have to pay them the entire car rental fee first. Which was over $600. I did not want to pay that again. I even asked about a voucher, since I travel often and rent cars all the time, and they said, "No, we don't give out vouchers." Such a scam and RIP off. I will never use them again.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Dollar was closed, redirected to Thrifty, long line. The car was ok a little sticky under the e brake. But I noticed a chip in the windshield and was unable to contact anyone to inform them of this. So I didn't stress about it took a picture and enjoyed my trip. I used Google maps to direct me back. But it took me to the wrong location. Then I didn't know I had to return the car to Hertz so I drove around looking for dollar's return area. I rented the car at 10:46 and returned it at 11:19. I was charged an extra day! Even though Google maps and poorly marked drop off locations were the reason. Now they are contacting me about the windshield!

Original review: July 14, 2021

We reserved a small car for a weekend business trip in Phoenix, AZ. It was a long hot shuttle ride to the car rental building, and the experience was about to get much worse. We walked in only to find that Dollar was closed down with a sign pointing us to Thrifty -- where the line was very long. After waiting 40 minutes to speak with an agent at the counter, he told us that our car "wasn't there yet". We were told to wait until we received a phone call from them -- likely 10-15 minutes, but could be 30 minutes.

When I walked back up to the counter at the 40 minute mark, he told me the car still wasn't there yet, but it would be coming soon. When I asked if they had any cars to rent -- "Yes or No" -- he was evasive and dismissive. Totally unprofessional! We decided to change plans and Uber it to our hotel instead. As we were checking into the hotel we got a call from Thrifty telling us that our car was now available to rent. I told them to stick it...

Original review: July 14, 2021

I reserved a one-way car rental from DFW using telephone customer service. After I flew to Dallas, I stood in line for an hour with agitated customers because Dollar oversold their inventory. I was denied my car rental on the basis that I didn't have a return flight. The rental itself was $875 and I needed to give a $500 deposit which I was able to do, but the manager stated that the telephone customer service is outsourced to another company and the agents are poorly trained. She stated that a policy change had occurred in April and they no longer offer one-way rentals from DFW airport. A one-way car rental reservation can still be booked online with the company but they have not announced publicly that they don't honor these reservations. I incurred significant expense for hotel and return airfare.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Called to ask about the status of a car that I had rented. The representative was very condescending. When I asked if I could be transferred he asked "Why"? When I told him he was being rude to me he said "No one else can help you". When I raised my voice to be transferred I was told to "** off and then hung up on. When I called back I spoke to a rep named "Ces" (no id number cause apparently one isn't needed) I asked him to speak to a supervisor. He politely listened to what happened and tried to help. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the answer was like all others. "The manager is in a meeting and can't speak to you." All I wanted to do was cancel and get a refund. Instead I was treated like straight up **. They won't give me my money back for a refund 'cause I never got the car!! There's NO ONE in the US to talk to, the operators could care less if you get a car or not, they hang up on you when you need help.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I rented a car for two days. The lady at the front desk explained that there would be a 591 dollar deposit, which I considered to be extremely high compared to other companies. I paid the deposit, and asked her if I need a toll pass. She stated no, and from the airport to the hospital, there were no tolls. She was wrong. She also tried to charge me for insurance without my knowledge, and I asked her why did the price change, and I told her to take the company's insurance off of my bill and that I will be using my personal insurance.

I drove through the cash lane to pay, but no one was there. I received 3 bills in the mail. The tolls were 1.75, 2.75, and 4.50 which is not a problem. The "ADMINISTRATIVE FEE" is the problem. I just received the bill today which is July 10. I did not neglect to pay for the tolls. Why an administrative fee? The administrative fees are 16.75, 32.75, and 49.50. Please do yourself a favor. Do not rent from this place. Dollar Rent A Car is a scam company and it preys on people who wants to save money. That is why the name says dollar. The deposits are extremely high.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information