3.3/5 (510 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

I reserved a convertible car well in advance in the Miami airport, including *paying in full* in advance. Showed up to the Dollar counter and was told there was none available. Then told "just because you reserved the car, doesn't mean we automatically have it." Avoid this scam of a business at all costs people.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

NO, NEVER AGAIN! I have rented from Dollar before without a problem, but this current horrible experience wiped out all previous good experiences. I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS AGAIN. Similar to United Airlines, being a loyal customer gets you nothing, they don't return the loyalty. Turns out, when you book through Booking.com (Rentalcars.com) or other third-party booking companies, they wash their hands of any problems and turn you over to the booking company...only after wasting hours and days of your time (if you can finally get ahold of anyone, which is extremely difficult and frustrating) collecting details again and again via different agents who don't really care.

They act like they want to help, but it is just lip service, there is nobody home who cares, it's abundantly obvious. They know right up front from your rental record #/booking # that you booked through a third party, but they still waste your time and don't tell you you're on your own until after extensive runaround trying to wear you out.

In this case, the car they provided (the only one available, the counter agent told me) was a tin can, poor ergonomics and very uncomfortable and I'd be driving it some distance every day for a week. Before even getting in the car, I knew the model was low quality, and asked the agent for anything else, but was refused unless I wanted to pay more than the high price I was already paying for a compact; instead he kept telling me it was brand new, as if a brand new tin can was better than a tin can with miles on it.

After driving the car a couple times the first day, I decided to try to exchange it. Rather than waste the time of going back to the airport and waiting in line only to potentially be told again that there were no other compact cars, I called the number the counter agent had given me to reach them directly. I called numerous times over two days but no one ever answered. I gave up and kept driving the tin can.

When I returned the car, I quickly told the different counter agent what happened. As at pick-up, there was only one agent handling everything. She was helping other customers and profusely apologized and told me she'd give me a partial credit if I could wait in line with the other customers picking up cars. I couldn't wait as I had a flight to catch. She told me Dollar management would honor what she told me and give me a credit. She wrote her name on my contract so I could quote her.

So, that's where the real nightmare began, trying to get Dollar customer service to do their job. I spent days trying to reach them, via Dollar experience survey, Booking.com feedback, calling the number the second counter agent gave me, providing feedback and requesting a call on the Dollar website. Days passed before hearing anything. No one called me back after requesting a call back from their phone system and I hung up after an hour wait another time when I wasn't given the callback option.

What finally got their attention was posting on their FB page and sending a DM. Multiple people responded over the course of a day asking for the same details over and over (clearly not reading the thread) and not doing anything. Eventually, I got an email response to my contact request on their website and a FB message that said they do not give credits and would issue a $50 certificate for use on a future rental. Of course, their rates for tin cans are exorbitant so they can afford to offer a future discount (maybe you won't use it if they're lucky - scamming 101 - and, a future discount is better for the bottom line than losing current revenue), and they want to keep you as a customer, so they hook you into future business, same tactic as United uses.

I refused and told them I'd rather never do business with them again, tell friends and family about my experience, and give my business to a reputable company that cares about its customers and their satisfactory experiences. They refused to honor what their counter agent offered to do in person and had assured me their customer service personnel would do later. They also said they spoke to someone at the airport location and whoever they spoke to (they wouldn't tell me the name) repeated the same ** the pick-up agent had told me and not what the drop-off agent had told me, so clearly they didn't go to the source of the promise to me. You can NOT trust Dollar/Thrifty/Hertz (all Hertz owned) and you can do MUCH better at other companies. If you're hesitant, read the other reviews here and on the Dollar FB page! Next up, filing a BBB complaint.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

As a (previously) loyal Dollar Express customer for nearly 20 years, I had been used to receiving better treatment. It started in December when I made the reservation (at prices about double what we're used to here), I wanted to use some of my points to offset the cost. After a long wait I got an ESL representative who after a long time found that the codes he needed to enter were going to change after Jan 1, and he couldn't do it. He told me to call after Jan 1 so I marked my calendar and followed through. Again after a sizeable wait and getting a novice, poor English-speaker, I was told 500 points were redeemed to lower my total by approximately $95.

At John Wayne Airport, THERE IS NO LONGER A DOLLAR EXPRESS service here. To top it off, you must wait in a line with Hertz and Thrifty renters in the carbon monoxide-filled garage with no seating available. On a Friday at 1:42 we entered the line. We started speaking to one of the only two agents available (out of only 3 stations) at 2:56!!!

As you may have guessed my rental amount did not reflect the use of rewards points. The agent could do NOTHING about it at the counter, and I was told to call the 800# to get help. I called before returning the vehicle, always waiting through the voice prompts, and was told there was nothing he could do until the vehicle was returned and paid for. You sensing a theme of non-responsibility?

Today, I called the Dollar "business office", got another non-English speaker and was told that as long as the rewards points were not correctly applied in the beginning, there was NOTHING they could do. I asked "isn't there some way to credit my credit card for the difference without using points?", he again repeated there was NOTHING they could do. You can rest assured that this long-time loyal customer will be using a different company from here on out.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Buyer beware! Be very, very aware! The sales people at Dollar Rent A Car will LIE to you to get you to pay much more than you should be paying. (And if you make your rental via AAA, they are no help in getting things resolved. I spent time and effort putting my information together, only to have them tell me that there wasn’t anything that they could do to help.) I hope my story helps someone in the future with any car rental company.

First, check with your insurance AND your credit card benefits to see if you will be covered and be able to decline the overpriced Loss Damage Waiver. Second, either bring your E-ZPass or other device and add the car rental plate to your account if you will be going through a lot of tolls or just stop and pay cash and keep your receipts. Otherwise, they will talk you into getting their plan at $10.99 per day, for each day that you rented the car, not the number of times you go through the tolls. (I had my car for 6 days and only went through tolls 2 of those days.) And if you opt not to have this, they will tell you scary stories about hundreds of dollars in charges and fines that you will be charged later.

I called the Turnpike Authority, and they told me that they don't charge fines, they just charge the license plate. If you don’t pay your tolls yourself, they will charge you a $9.99 administrative fee per toll, up to a maximum of 9 administrative fees, per your agreement with them. So, do yourself a favor and really do some research on the add-ons and know what to expect before you get to the counter. And make sure you can see your charges before you sign!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

HNL Airport Dollar car rental fails to disclose that a rental car reservation does not lock in a rental car for the requested pick-up time. The manager's special where low-rate economy class cars are advertised without informing customers the car availability is on a first come first serve basis. The current reservation process issues a car rental confirmation for cars they do not have or do not track resulting in 1-2 hours of waiting. This wait time is in addition to the 1-1/2 hour wait at the rental desk where a staff of two assist customers that numbers in the 20-30s in line. A tactic of short staffing the front desk to slow down the line at the rental car pick up. It's like a bait and switch tactic to offer low rental rates with a confirmation number for the selected pick-up time then informing the customer there is no cars available and to wait for one. Dollar has an inadequate system, poor leadership and predatory practices.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I've had a bad experience with Dollar, but believed it was a local feature. It is not. At Baltimore BWI airport, I booked a rental car with Dollar in advance and had to pick up the car at 9pm in the evening. When I came to the desk it turned out that all cars are sold out! And the rep offered me a choice of a) waiting for availability and b) going to hell. Isn't that nice, especially when the night is coming over? Waiting wasn't looking like a compelling option given the long line of people waiting at the counter. The customer is the very last thing they care about in this company. The situation was the same in Thrifty and in fact it was one guy running both of them at that time. Lost big money and time, never see them again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

In July we reserved a mini van for our vacation on the Big Island in December. Showed up to pick up our van, and noticed about 30 people sitting outside Dollar, and not looking happy. Went inside, waited in a long line and when I got to the clerk I was told 'we have no cars'. They had ZERO cars - and they never bothered to contact customers. After asking for a manager, etc - I told the clerk to call all rental companies in the area and find me a van. The unwilling clerk finally obliged. We were able to get a vehicle with Avis but it cost an additional $1,000. Dollar knew they had no cars, knew they could not provide cars to incoming passengers and chose to do nothing about it. Very screwed up. Hopefully Chapter 11 will lead to this company going out of business! Just very crappy of them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Booked a car and prepaid the car with Discover Cars.com. When I went to pickup the car, Dollar Car Rental advised me that they had no cars. I called Discover Cars.com (for over 2 hours) and they told me that they could not help and basically I was on my own. They said that I could book another car (even tho I already paid for a car) and I could file a claim and hope for the best. They told me they have no other cars and no other solution, however on their website, cars are available to be rented. "We cannot help you." I also called Dollar Car Rental and they basically have no customer service, all they can do is assist in new bookings. "You have to call the location sir. We cannot call them." So I call the location (Dollar Fort Lauderdale Airport) and they do not answer the phone, ever. It's been hours I am trying to reach them.

Meanwhile, I am in a foreign country with my wife and child. Awful experience overall. This is completely unacceptable: To be a car rental company and to not honour and have a car ready. I understand that mistakes can happen, but be advised Dollar Car Rental has no customer service. Try yourself calling for yourself. Reservation number is: **.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

We were taken advantage of (me and my wife) by an employee at “Dollar Rent A Car”. She sold us insurance products that we didn’t know we are buying. Sneaky way. She used Jargons that we don’t understand and took our money without even knowing. We rented a car on Expedia and the car was with Dollar rent a car. It was promoted at $27 a day and We paid for the collision coverage (insurance) so the total with everything was about $107. Then we took our flight from DFW to Charlotte (CLT) and went to the counter. She didn’t get the reservation number and started asking which car we want so we told her whatever is on the reservation.

She started asking about insurance coverage and we told her we already bought it and paid for - Expedia room about $78 from my wife’s card and told us we will pay about $27 at the rental car desk. So when the employee took our card we thought that’s what she will charge - she started explaining the coverage of insurance and we thought she is explaining what we already bought - she then asked me to sign in the credit card machine so I signed (didn’t see any policy or options on their just a blank signature space like we usually do on credit card processing machines).

Then they charged my card about $152 in addition to the $78 they charged my wife’s card - $230 for a 1 day rental for a basic car - I did agree to buy gas at $2.91 per gallon and I did mention we will use less than a gallon since we will only drive from airport to hotel and back (30 minute drive). The employee confirmed it will be only $2.91.

I need my money back - I paid Expedia $78 and was told will only pay $28 additional or so. I need my $125 back - I need justice. Our had been taken and our credit card dispute department said if you paid in person we won’t be able to dispute against the company. Rental Agreement - **, Rental Location - CHARLOTTE AP, NC, Date - 2022-12-18.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

I rented a car at the Phoenix AZ airport. I drove the car back to the airport on the date scheduled. I later discovered a $250.00 additional charge on my credit card for a key. Now waiting for adjustment.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information