Dollar Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I rented a car from Logan Airport on Saturday evening on February 11th. And was very disappointed with the service that I received At Logan Airport. My wife booked it on Priceline and it was supposed to be $10.00 per day for the rental for a three day period and was supposed to amount to $68.00 total for the rental. When the women at the counter added everything up the $68.00 rental went up $213.00. During the process the women asked me if I wanted insurance coverage on the car and I told her no. I never get the insurance coverage on rental cars because my credit card covers me for insurance on rental cars. I did agree to pay for the cost of the easy pass even though I thought it was highway robbery. They charged $11.99 a day for the easy pass. I have been to other cities where they charge $4.00 per day for easy pass. $11.99 a day to use the easy pass twice is highway robbery.

When it came time to check out, the women just said I just need to push the accept button and then sign. She never went over the charges with me and I didn't insist because I was in a hurry. On Sunday night I just happened to look at the paperwork I received and was shocked to see that there was an $28.49 charge per day for insurance coverage that I never asked for. The insurance the women tacked on was more than double the price of the economy car I rented.

I was pretty upset when I found this out and decided that I no longer wanted to keep the car. I felt like she intentionally tried to cheat me and I felt this was a terrible way to conduct business. I doubt that I will ever rent from Dollar Car Rental again. I asked her why it was so high and she just told me, "Oh, the fees just add up." She told me that part of the reason why it was so high was because there was a deposit put on my credit card that would come off when I returned the car. I was in a rush and didn't thoroughly scan the papers handed to me. This was far and away the worst experience I have ever had renting a car and I will not be renting from Dollar again.

I rent a car to Thrifty. In MCCARRAN int'l airport in Las Vegas. We came late. So they direct us to Dollar counter. Which is open. My reservation is for compact car. Then the agent told me because it is holidays. We are only available for our reservation is a Van or pickup truck. I don't believe that. He said "that is the only available with your reservation." So my friend told me will just get the pickup truck. I gave my Master Card credit card. When we came to pick up the truck. There is no Van or pick up truck in the garage. Everything is cars. And the guy in the parking told us to choose what kind of car we want. We got the white Toyota.

After a few days Walmart notify me. That I order a gift card in the amount of $150 that will send to Florida on Jan.20. And also an Electronics that will send to Florida but different address. And the methods of payment is a Master card ending in my 4 numbers of my card. Which that's the last time I use my card is in Dollar Rent A Car. I called Walmart and stop all the transactions. And my credit card too.

Reserved a car through Car Rental 8 at Hilo, HI airport. I was quoted $376.00. $271.00 on my credit card and $115. due to Dollar Car Rental. I especially asked the pickup and drop off attendants if I would only have to pay that amount and was told that was the case. Come to find out the insurance I paid Car Rental 8 was not insurance (even though it looks like it on their site) and Dollar added on their own insurance after leading me to believe I had insurance through Car Rental 8. I will not do business with either company again.

The entire experience was horrible! They billed me for insurance I didn't need. When I questioned the clerk (whom struggled to speak English) he told me it was a deposit and would get it back. It turned out that was a different fee. Then 2 weeks after returning home I received a $104.22 bill for tolls. The tolls were $14.22 and they charged me $90 for their administrative fees. To top it all off, the car we got was an inferior car to what we registered for. That is absolutely ridiculous!!! Please don't pick them, there are honest options out there.

I wish I had read the bad reviews before I booked with Dollar. I made the reservation through Expedia and had to paid all 7 days in full at time of booking. When we checked in at the Las Vegas Airport, we were told that I had to give them my driver's license number because I made the reservation, even though my boyfriend was the only driver. We told them again and again there was only one driver. I just received my credit card statement and found they had charged an additional $146. When I called them, they told me because there were two drivers. I argued that we already told them there was only 1 driver. She said if there were 1 driver, why they had two ID's on file, and that I should have my boyfriend's name on the reservation.

It seems, from reading other reviews, they will find one thing or another to add additional charges to renters. This never ever happen to us before. We travel all over the world and booked many car rentals before. I told them that there was nowhere on the Expedia website for me to put down the driver's info. She told me that I should not have reserved online. I think Dollar did all this on purpose so they can add charges to renters. If they were honest about this additional charges, they should have told us the cost of two drivers and charged us right on the spot. Why charged us after the fact. I WILL NOT EVER WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH DOLLAR RENT A CAR AGAIN!! VERY GREEDY AND DISHONEST PEOPLE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

I rented twice from Dollar in January - first time I have ever used their service. Understand that I am in a rental car around 150 days a year. I prepaid the rentals for both New Orleans airport and Memphis airport... nice daily rates, decent cars--impressive. At the airports I was careful to make sure I had my gasoline receipts--have seen other's reports that you must show your receipt. I was NOT asked to show that receipt at either location and was NOT charged for gasoline as I filled it myself. So far so good...

At January month end I was filling out my expense report and comparing it to each line on my company credit card statement. I saw both Dollar charges, which matched the receipts I received at the airports but noticed two charges on my card that I disputed - both listed as "CARHIRE" and in the description "DOLLAR THRIFT IRL". I did a little research and found that Carhire was apparently based out of Dublin, Ireland and appears to be a travel service, similar to an Expedia or Orbitz. I immediately contacted my credit card company and disputed the charges (which did NOT match up to any dates I had traveled or rented a car).

A couple days later I received a cordial email from a company called "CARTRAWLER" asking me why I was disputing my charges. One again, another overseas company from somewhere in Europe. Both emails I received from Cartrawler referenced My Dollar rentals. I called Dollar and learned that Carhire/Cartrawler do the billing for prepaid rentals for Dollar. I closed the dispute and paid the bills for the two prepaids billed through Carhire/Cartrawler. My point is this--why do I as the consumer have to mess around with Carhire/Cartrawler and get two sets of bills. I rented from Dollar, not Carhire/Cartrawler. You too would have disputed these bills as they look bogus.

Also, the combined totals of the bill received at car return and the Carhire/Cartrawler bills combined make the Dollar rental not so competitive. The bill at car return is ONLY for the airport fees and any extras--it will not include your prepaid charges. Pucker up if you prepay Dollar rentals as they are NOT what they appear to be. Also, the combined bills for Memphis do not match up - are close but still do not match up. Again, cars were nice, fairly clean and people I dealt with were nice enough. I will NOT be renting from Dollar again based on the two experiences with a company in Ireland being involved in my billing and two sets of bills. Just not comfortable with the experience. There are too many other choices and they don't invoice funky like this.

I have never had such rude service as I encountered at the Charlotte Douglas airport. From the moment I spoke to the customer service agent, I was met with resistance and an attitude. When I explained I was renting a car because I had been in an accident and my insurance company told me to request the insurance rate, I was immediately told "we don't do that here, you need to go downtown." I then explained I needed to rent a car anyway since I had been dropped off at the airport. I was told "I can't make a reservation for you."

I told her I had made a reservation that morning, but didn't realize it was for the next day I was told "you have to change that yourself. New policy. All you have to do is go to Dollar.com." Being a frequent renter, I already know there is no way to look up a reservation without the confirmation # so I ask to borrow a pen. She refuses, tells me to give her my phone which has the confirmation # on it and she cuts and pastes the confirmation. I attempted to modify the reservation and got an error message at the end indicating the system encountered a problem and to try again later.

Again I requested a pen and again she refused asking "why do you need a pen?" I told her I needed to call the 800 #, she asked for my phone, handed it back to me since the screen had gone to sleep and barked "call it back up." Instead of giving me a pen, she writes the confirmation # down and hands it to me. I call the 800 # only to be told the reservation had been successfully modified. I hand the confirmation # to the agent and she finally enters it into her computer. She prints out the receipt and tells me to sign and initial. Kind of hard to do without a pen so I again request one which was met with an exasperated huff.

I go to where the cars are located and there are none available in the class I have rented. At this point, I have had enough and decide to call my insurance agent to see what my options are. While on hold, a Dollar employee asks me if I need help. I explain there are no cars in the class of service I just rented and she mumbles something. I have to ask 3 times what she said, explaining "I'm sorry, I can't hear you" and she points to a car and says "you can have that one."

Again, the same attitude as the agent. It is at this point that despite being a Dollar Express member I decide I am not rewarding this extremely poor service with my business. I go to the Alamo counter and get the customer service every person who is paying for a service deserves. Kind of sad that these Dollar employees are potentially the 1st people a visitor to the Charlotte area encounters. Definitely not the southern hospitality one expects. Quite frankly, the experience didn't even meet minimum standards of respect.

We had to wait and wait and wait for our reservation to be honoured at MIA last week. It was pathetic. No explanation. No reasonable estimate of when the vehicle that we reserved would be available. Just waiting and waiting. The Dollar staff were rude and quite ignorant. It was as if we had no right to want to start our holiday - by getting the vehicle that we reserved online. The Dollar staff did not offer us a better vehicle. Finally, we decided to take a smaller vehicle - just to get out of the Miami Airport Car Rental Parking Lot - BUT NO DISCOUNT WAS OFFERED. I'll never bother with Dollar again. There are too many better rental companies in competition. This company just stinks.

Disgusting condition of the SUV from Dollar Rent a Car - Fort Myers Airport location! Interior was never cleaned from the prior customer who clearly abused it. Attempts to contact the company were unanswered even with pictures documenting the condition. It was repulsive and I was afraid of all the germs! We sat on towels the entire time. Do not be fooled by the lower price because you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money and have a vehicle that is clean! I wish I had been warned!

Booked car reservation for my wife thru Orbitz.com. Reservation shown on Orbitz lists the driver as my wife, but, according to Dollar, reservation lists the driver as me. Dollar agent and agent's supervisor refused to honor reservation, asking my wife to make a new reservation at nearly 2.5X the cost. Unsure if the root cause of the electronic miscommunication problem originates with Orbitz or Dollar, but, ultimately, the customer should not be the victim of Dollar's inability to communicate effectively with Orbitz. Shocked and disappointed that Dollar would treat any customer in this manner. Confident that the manager could have done the right thing, but chose not too stating that he could not correct the reservation within Dollar's system or honor the rate.

40 minutes late costs $737.94 EXTRA?? PLEASE BEWARE - As if it isn't stressful enough getting to an airport late, try returning your rental car 40 mins late and getting a bill for $962.93 instead of the estimated $224.99! (My Credit Union blocked my card due to this expense which prevented me from purchasing a new airline ticket because I missed my first flight - Thank you Dollar Rent A Car!) My original estimate for a Mid-sized car for 4 days at $19.40 per day=$77.60+ additional charges* $147.39 = TOTAL ESTIMATED CHARGE $224.99.

I returned the car 40 minutes late and my daily rate goes from $19.40 to $156.82 (a day) AND they tacked on $26.66 late fee? Nowhere in this 7 page policy can I find any statement about returning a car 10-20-30-40 minutes late unless "Late returns may be subject to extra hour and/or day charges" is Dollar's ambiguous attempt at a warning (please see this statement in context below under Terms** from page 1 and page 7 below). An 80% increase in daily rate is ridiculous. Try adding up the taxes alone on that.

Needless to say I called "Customer Service" immediately and the woman on the phone apparently agreed that the new rate charge was wrong and she was going to credit me the difference. Nice, except I could not get her to understand that I wanted to be credited for the additional taxes I was charged ($188.26). She had no clue what I was talking about. I tried to explain how the taxes were taken on a total sum and she said that the taxes had nothing to do with the rental charge. I asked to speak with the manager and she said she was qualified to handle the billing. I asked again to speak with a manager and she told me there was no one to speak with, she "was qualified to do the billing" and that she was going to credit back the daily rental fee overage. I asked her to remove the $26.66 1 hour late fee and she told me "you were late. I can do nothing about that"... I could go on.

I just wonder how many folks get overcharged "scammed" like this? I was running late, they knew it, they upcharged (an additional $737.94) knowing I might not have time to go back to their rental counter and argue the cause. I took a day off from worrying about it and tried the customer service line again today. This time the Rep reviewed the bill and adjusted it to reflect my original estimate. She even deducted the "late fee". But at no time did I get an apology. Dollar Rent A Car will not be getting my business nor my endorsement. Just the opposite. I hope someone reading this learns something beneficial. I hope one person can gain wisdom from my very stress filled situation. Shame on you Dollar!

I returned rental car with full tank as I had refueled at the airport minutes before I dropped it off at 530 am in Sacramento. No one was there to receive it so I followed instructions. Usually I get a receipt emailed to me but I hadn't received one yet. So I called today to get my receipt and noticed a fuel charge for $17.73 on the receipt. I called customer service, they answered quickly and said as a courtesy they would remove the charge. The customer service rep was courteous and said it may take up to 18 days to refund. This was handled but the fuel charge should not have been added. Had I not looked at my receipt they would have had added a fraudulent amount to my credit card. The removal of the charge should not have been called a courtesy as the charge was erroneous. It was at the least a mistake and if not fraud.

The staff that gave us the car was rude, didn't show us how to use the car. They should know that people renting their car doesn't necessarily have the same car as they have. We rented a GMC Yukon 2017. He left the car in front of us and just left without saying a word, took us 10 minutes to figure out how to put the car on drive. Also, they over charged us. They charged us an additional $200+ mandatory fees.

Horrible experience!!! We rented a car November 2-9 in from Orlando. When we got the rental, had to wait about an hour to get the car. The man at the counter was rude and could barely be understood when he spoke. He was upset I didn't take the insurance provided by them as I had my own insurance. Finally got paperwork and was directed "through those doors and to the right". Went to another booth and was told "Your car is the last one on the left and the keys are already in there". There was no walk around or any paperwork provided for me to notate any issues with the car, not that I could have, as it was very dark in the garage. Returned the car early after noon on November 9 and was told "All good, hope you had a good trip!" The only thing the check in person did was turn on the car to make sure it had a full tank of gas.

Fast forward 20, yes 20 days and I am getting phone calls from the Claims office regarding a rental we had. They also called my mother in law, mind you she was not listed as any contact on our list, so not sure how they got her info. The call was about some damage that happened when the car was in my possession. I can assure you no damage happened when I had the car. I was also told I refused to give my insurance information, I promptly corrected them and stated I was never asked for the information. I requested all paperwork regarding the incident be emailed me. I was told email was not possible, it had to go through USPS...OK fine, send me the paperwork. Paperwork was received and the damage noted on the incident report does not match the damage recorded on the estimate or the pictures provided. Cost to repair the damage is $469.

Oh and let me not forget to mention there was an incident report with my signature on it... Only it's not my signature, not even close, so now we have forgery added into this. This company is horrible!!! I thought I could save a few dollars by renting from them, biggest mistake!!! Next time I will pay more for better quality service.

I rented a Toyota Corolla in Miami for seven days. My deposit was 200 USD. Once I returned the vehicle, they didn't have cash to refund me, so a check would be sent me home within three weeks. As no check arrived, I called the company and I was promised to receive the check in 45 days (due in January 19). It's January 23 now, no check arrived, and I feel I'm not getting my money back. I may have lost my 200 dollars, but at least I can share my terrible experience with this company, so others won't lose their money. Dollar will never see my money again. I'll make sure my travel agent know about this, so other customers don't get ripped off by this terrible services company. I can't forget to mention, it was a prepaid rental.

I rented a vehicle in December of 2016 from Dollar Rent A Car, a Hertz company. I was traveling across several New England states. This vehicle had the worst windshield wipers I have ever seen. Driving in some unfamiliar bigger cities and through the mountains in Pennsylvania during snow, this cause some major issues for me. Upon my return I was given a $50 refund. No apology, mostly an attitude. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the company gave me back another $25. That was apparently all my life was valued at with them. I normally rent from Avis/Budget and have always had the best service. Dollar had a chance to make an impression, but I felt at least 50% of my rental fee should be refunded. They refused to do more than they did and simply refused to deal with me any longer. I would not recommend ever using Hertz or any of their affiliated companies.

I had a reservation for Dollar at Memphis Intl Airport, went in to get my car. Not only was the employee very rude and disrespectful she also denied me my rental because one letter was off in my name. She wouldn't even run my credit card because there was a (d) in my name on my credit card but on my driver license the (d) was missing. Never in my life had I ever been treated like that because of a simple mistype of a name. People misspell people's names all the time. I was treated like it was against the law. I submitted a detailed email with the online complaint at Dollar. I am waiting on a response.

Booked a car through Expedia as part of a vacation package. At the car rental counter (which incidentally took us 1/2 hour to get to because there were only 3 out of 10-12 agents available), we were asked if there would be any additional drivers (other than my husband whose name was on the rental agreement). We kinda hummed and hawed and said, "Yeah sure, why not. It wouldn't hurt to have me as an additional driver. You never know what might happen." The agent processed the rental and we signed the agreement. We declined all insurance and were planning on filling up the car before turning it back in so that there should've been no extra charges for this rental on our credit card. To our surprise, there was a charge of $65ish on our next credit card statement for Dollar Rent A Car.

I called to inquire and was told it was for the additional driver. I said that we were absolutely not told about an extra charge for this service and in fact, would've declined the service had we been told (it wasn't necessary for me to drive and in fact, I never did). The agent said it was stated on the agreement we signed and there is nothing they can do about it. I told her that if we were to read through all the terms and conditions of the agreement at the rental counter, we would be there for hours (and I slightly doubt anyone else does either). I reiterated that we should not be charged as the agent did not tell us about the extra charge... especially as he sat there watching us banter back and forth about whether or not we should take it!

I told her that we would not accept this charge so she filled in a dispute report on our behalf (supposedly). It's been several days and we've not heard anything back. It's very unnerving as I have a feeling that nothing will get done on their end and we don't want to pay interest charges on our credit card, so we will mostly likely pay it. But I do plan on following up for as long as it takes.

Dealing with Dollar in Dubai is a mortifying, 2 cent experience, even allowing for differences generated by local business practices. This is, indeed, a woeful organization to judge from my experience. It might perhaps be different if you have ordered a high end vehicle or you are asking them to do something *extremely* simple however the car I signed up for (on a long-term lease) in the first instance was not delivered - I had to chase Dollar seemingly endlessly by phone to get the right make and model. Some months later I had to remind the company to bill me, then I had to query the billing - this was another long, long process which still isn't fully resolved. When I had a mechanical problem it took weeks to sort out and, once again, I had to pursue Dollar with multiple reminders and prompts.

Get ready for them not to know your telephone number, your address or any of your other relevant details, even though they should plainly have all of these things on record from the contract you have signed. Prepare yourself to wait in pointlessly for hours as long-standing appointments with Dollar U.A.E. go unfulfilled. In my experience no one will ever actually turn up until you become extremely demonstrative. Polite enquiry by phone or email will get you precisely nowhere in fact. Ultimately, it might be better to hire a camel.

I rented a midsize car from Dollar near LAX. I had a reservation for a midsize car for 4 days and paid $80 initially. I expect the price of the final rental to higher due to fees and such, but I got charged an additional $150 in "mandatory" fees. If the fees are mandatory then just apply at the time of purchase! When people land they generally do not have time to argue over charges and read pages and pages of legal documents. I believe this company is deliberately misleading consumers.

Booked a rental car online to pickup in New Orleans and drop off in Houston. The rate I expected to pay was tripled by the time they added 8.00 per day so my husband could drive it (out of all the rental cars we've rented that was the first time we've ever been charged for an additional driver...) and then they added in some sort of base insurance fee that I didn't want but was told it was mandatory. What started out as a 180.00 rental rate was up charged to over 600.00. The car we got was old and had issues also. I feel ripped off and angry. Never again will I deal with this company or Thrifty or Hertz as they all seem to be related.

I am (still) having a very bad experience in tracking an item that I left in the car. I left a garage opener in the car (where the ashtray area normally is). I had called the rental car immediately after I returned the car and returned home (I am 100% sure that the item was in the car). I filled an online lost & found form, received an automatic reply, and then called several numbers, until I finally spoke to a person (703-519-8703). She advised me to fill the lost & found, which I had already done. 1-2 hours after I had filled the online form, I received a second email notifying that they have not found the item (which was very strange, as I know that I left the opener at the ashtray area).

I spoke with the representative on the phone, and she gave me very confusing response: that (1) no way that I could have received that second email, since she is the one who sends these emails, that (2) this takes about 24 hours to investigate, and (3) when I mentioned that I was confused, too, and that I have this e-mail, I gave her the details of the item lost, and she said she'll "look into it." 4+ days later, I have no news from Dollar, nor from this representative. I have no idea what happened to my garage opener (which would be a major pain to get it if I lose), and no resolution.

Today 1/9/17 I called the main customer number/lost & found in the website (703-549-1438), and the one number where I could speak with a person last week (703-519-8703). This time, none of the numbers worked. They prompt to transfer me to a department (e.g. rental counter), and nothing happens/nobody responds, either this past week (called 9 times), or this week (called 5 times). Overall, terrible customer service/follow-up. Even reaching someone is a major hassle.

Adding to the long list of complaints related to Dollar's policy of charging a $15.00 administrative fees per toll amount they pay on behalf of their clients, I can add my own negative experience to the list, as an unsuspecting car renter... This particular experience took place at the Orlando airport, which is signficant in that as soon as you drive away from the rental area, you are essentially on an expressway. Having been to Florida many times before, I have always been cautious about ensuring I had money to pay at the tolls, and this trip was no different. We used the toll roads sparingly but always used the "cash" booths to pay our share. So needless to say I was a little shocked when I received a bill from Dollar Rental, advising me that I owed them $50.50 for 3 unpaid toll charges that totaled $5.50.

In researching the unpaid tolls, and Central Florida's Expressway website, I suspect we may have traversed through the land of their fairly new "All-Electronic Tolling" initiative, which essentially means you are incurring charges without a visible indication. Certainly, I did not go through any of the E-Pass booths. Of course, contacting the Expressway authorities was a waste of my time, as they naturally suggested I deal with the rental company. And the rental car company of course is protected, since all weary travellers signing for a rental car have nothing else to do but read every chapter and verse of their accordion rental agreement "book", which essentially is there to protect the company and justify their ludicrous policies.

For me, that was just 1 more reason to never use Dollar rent a car again. The first reason came upon arrival at the initial counter visit, where the courteous agent tried to upsell me on pretty well everything that he could... When I thought he was done, he asked whether anyone else would be driving. Although not planned, I asked whether my wife would also be permitted to drive, and he said no problem, just needed her license details, etc., which were provided. It was only after receiving my accordion contract agreement, and reviewing it prior to going to select our vehicle, that I noted he had charged me an additional ~$96 for including my wife as a driver. This little bonus was NEVER mentioned to me during our conversation.

After discussing briefly with my wife that there was no real benefit to having her as a driver, I then rejoined the line, and by the time I was served, was told the 20 minute "change period" had expired, which set off a whole new, complicated process to delete this added charge from our contract. Too bad these events tarnish the memories and reputation of Florida, but in my opinion, they certainly do.

Same as every other person. At the counter people complained about the same behavior. I did not want extra charges and THEY STILL ADDED INSURANCE. Had to pay additional 69 dollars. Asked for a refund. They issued me a voucher SIGNED BY THE MANAGER of 1 and yes ONE DOLLAR - it was outright a fraud. Called at least 10 times and spoke to customer service manager. No explanation - on why this was added. And Mind you of the 2 people me and another person before me in line at the counter they all had the same issue - required refund due to NON ASKED FOR INSURANCE. AND my car had Transmission trouble - Ford Focus clocking between 1st and 2nd had trouble driving it and considered NOT SAFE. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK.

I am a Spanish regular visitor to your lovely country, but my last trip to USA was a complete disaster because of this horrible rent a car company. I rented a car in Las Vegas and told the guy of the front desk to add the "Pay per plate toll", describing my route to him (Las Vegas, down to Los Angeles and then up to San Francisco). He charged me with 90 dollars for that. My surprise came a month later, when back in my home I received a 15 dollars fine for passing through a toll in Los Angeles, plus a 15 dollars bill that "Dollar Rent A Car" charged me with for that communication via regular mail. I have been complaining for that charges since I received that letter, and the only reply I get from them is that "some tolls are not included". As I told them, I was not informed about that at the time of the rental. Besides, I told the guy to include ALL THE TOLLS.

If someone could please help me with this I would be very happy, as I am Spanish and I do not know how to solve this. They have threatened me all the time, telling me that if I do not pay, I will be included in some kind of blacklist and will not be able to rent a car ever again in the US. I told them that I would be happy to pay that fine if they give me back the money I paid for the tolls, but I do not find it fair to charge me for the tolls AND the fine, as I hope you may understand. I know that 30 dollars is nothing compared to this woman's charges, but my 30 dollars, plus everyone's others dollars, mean a lot of money. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

I went to Dollar Car Rental at Vancouver Intl. Airport and I picked up a Toyota corolla with the snow tire option, and I inquired about the fees, asking, "Are there any other costs with this car rental?" And the man at the counter said "NO, no other charges." Well, they charged my credit card an extra $300, and when I called about this, they said, "well, those extra fees are in the contract!" So they LIED to my face, and ripped me off. NEVER GO to this FRAUDULENT PLACE!

I rented a car and asked about a toll pass. The agent indicated, "I am glad you asked about that." Put me in a smaller car and said he got me in for the same price with the toll pass. Just got a bill for $48.63 for not paying tolls. $45 in administrative charges plus $3.63 for tolls. Called them and was told I didn't have a toll pass - whose fault is that! I had asked for one. Never renting from Dollar or any of the affiliates again.

We booked a trip to Kauai, Hawaii, and booked a car rental at the airport. Upon our arrival (we were late landing), we were discouraged to see the Dollar Rent A Car desk closed. As a consequence, we took a $150 CAD ride to our hotel, and an additional $150 ride back to the airport the following morning to pick-up our rental car. Upon arrival at Dollar Rent A Car, we were told that the kiosk had remained open to accommodate our late arrival, however the pick-up location was approximately 1 KM away (photo attached of the desk with NO signage about the pick-up being a mile away).

The lack of communication about this in all previous transactions with the company and the additional money we had to pay to pick-up our car was completely inappropriate. It should be the company's responsibility to ensure their customers are able to easily purchase/pick-up the goods they signed up for. When sharing our feedback with an attendant at the location, we were met with a piss poor attitude and no sympathy. We would absolutely NEVER rent with this company again.

I rented a car from Dollar Rent a car. I requested the model that was on my online confirmation. I later found out they charged me $100.00 for an upgrade. Then a month after I returned the car I was told I was responsible for a $2.75 toll charge but that there would be a $30.00 processing fee. They are absolutely the WORST car rental company I have ever used. I will never and I mean never use them again. That's what the service is worth. $1.00. I can see where they got the name from. THIEVES!

When I made the car rental reservation by phone, I paid (their request) $54 and they told me I'd need to pay the rest (taxes, etc) at West Palm Beach when I picked up the car. And that was $42.90. additional. Why I didn't complain then was because I didn't have much time while the Dollar agent kept babbling, going on and on about upgrading which got me pissed off. Later I realized that I actually had paid them a total of $96.92 or about $50.00 more than they said the totals would be for a 2 day rental on an economy car which they advertise as $14 @day. What a rip off! Thanks to my Citi credit card, they removed the second $42.90 charge. BTW, I learned Hertz owns Dollar! And so I say Hertz is a disgusting, rip-off company.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.
  • Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.
  • Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.
  • Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.
  • Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.
  • Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Compare Rental Cars