Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.25/5

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

Original review: May 5, 2019

After a horrible experience at Europcar in Cancun I walked next door to Dollar Car Rental. Air conditioned office, professional staff, no hard pressure p-selling. I was in and out within 10 minutes. Drop off was as easy. Mid sized 4-door VW was in great shape. Highly recommend this hassle free, professionally run office in Cancun. Start your vacation without the hassle!

Original review: April 13, 2019

None better than this company. The courteous service and the exceptional condition of the automobiles is incomparable. I will continue to use this company for all my car needs. I have told everyone I know that they should use this automobile company.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

On the particular day I rented the vehicle near the LaGuardia airport there were only two counter personnel working and the wait time was 40 Mins. Other than that, the vehicle was perfect. I certainly will use this company again.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Great customer service. Prices are reasonable (in my opinion) and a large fleet of vehicles to choose from. Staff was very informative and detailed orientated. I am a customer for life. I would definitely recommend DOLLAR Car rental if you're in the Newark Airport Area.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am extremely pleased with the handling of my rental car at the Dollar Rent A Car desk at Miami International Airport. My desk attendant was Inram **, a very courteous and efficient employee who handled my particular situation with extreme professionalism and helpfulness. Due to the specific situation of my rental agreement, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Joaquin **, the desk manager on duty, and as well, I was extremely pleased with his knowledge and professionalism in the handling of my agreement. Five Stars for these two employees. I rent cars frequently and noticed the difference between renting with Dollar Rent A Car and other rental car companies at Miami International Airport. I also like to rent a specific car size and later having the ability to personally select the specific car I want from a lot of rental cars available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

***Please read the issues on the better business bureau before renting here!*** I wish I had. Rented a one way rental with Dollar car rental and was told it would be 69.00. I was then charged 369.00 plus holds of another 400. I rented a car on Friday, November 15 from Orlando airport to drop it off at Tampa airport. I picked the car up at approximately 830p. I then drove it an hour and a half to Tampa. When I dropped the car off at 10p, there was no one around to speak to or go over finalizing the rental, just a sign that said to leave keys in the vehicle. The next morning at 630a I received an email stating the final charges were 69.00 and they would refund the 200.00 hold, which they did.

Four hours later I received another email stating they were now charging me 369.00 for damage to the vehicle. They then put another 300 then 100 hold on my bank account. When I called, they told me it was for smoking in the vehicle. I don't smoke. So, now they have 769.00 of my money in my account. I called customer service three times, each time I was sent to a call center outside of the US. They refused to help me with my issue and wouldn't give me a direct number to the Tampa location so I could clear this up. There is no recourse for their mistake. This company has now caused me financial hardship and complete inconvenience for fraudulent charges by them. The fact that there is no way to talk to somebody at that location is horrible. There is nowhere to go with these claims. You're treated rudely and disregarded with no way of resolving the issue.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

We rented from Dollar so we could drive out to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. We only had one day available to make the trip. That morning the car wouldn't start. By the time they got things straightened out and gave us a different car it was too late to go. The only reason for renting the car was to see the Grand Canyon.

To top things off, I left my coat in the back seat. I went through their lost and found website and waited for a reply. When I got an email back saying they couldn't find my coat, but the description of what they were looking for was not my coat. They said they couldn't find my men's cotton coat. My coat was a woman's wool coat. I went online again and edited the description of my lost coat. But I kept getting emails back saying they couldn't find my men's cotton coat.

I couldn't get a hold of a human being no matter how hard I tried. Well - at one point I did get a hold of a person who said they would stay on the line with me until I got through to the right department, but they didn't. I even went to the local Dollar Car after I got home and was told by 3 people there that they were just a Dollar Car franchise and had no way to communicate with the company. That's bizarre. To summarize, my vacation was ruined and I lost my coat and was stonewalled every step of the way to do anything about it. Just say no!!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Never rent a dollar car, they will use all means to take money out of customer pocket. I faced 2 big issues in my trip. I booked a BMW X3 for my trip and when I went to pick my car, all the BMW were out and there was no luxury car as an alternative. My bad experience started from there, if they didn't have luxury cars then shouldn't overbook it. They overcharge me for a service which I never used. Secondly, I got a violation ticket for a toll. I passed 1 toll and they charge me $50. I called customer care to understand the charge. Customer service people were rude and one of them hung my call with no reason after waiting for few minutes online. It seems Dollar will charge $12.49/day if you cross 1 toll or 100 tolls. So my trip was for 4 days and I crossed 1 toll, my total charge was 4*12.49 = ~$50. One toll cost me $50. Bad experience teaches a lesson, never rent a Dollar.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

We specifically told the agent at the desk that we did NOT want the additional insurance added on the car, but she added it anyway. They only have a signature screen to sign when you sign for the car, so we did not see that she added insurance when we signed. We only found out after we returned the car and saw our bank account got charged an extra $200 for the insurance. We called customer service to complain and were told "sorry, you signed for it." We will not rent from Dollar Rent A Car again!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Watch out for the hidden charges! I rent a car from LAX through rentalcar.com. I prepaid before I pick up the car. On the day I got there, they told me they were out the car I wanted to rent. So they tried to downgrade my rental car. But I have a lot of luggage so they can't do that. At the counter, they ask me if I want to buy insurance. I told them no because I already buy whatever I need online. At the counter they asked me to sign for picking up the car. After I came back from my vacation, I just found out they have charged me for roadside service which I didn't ask for. Trying to contact them, they just reply 1 email saying there's nothing wrong on the bill. After that, they never reply my email again. Very bad experience! Definitely will sharing my experience with people from my country.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information