2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5
Based on 1,112 ratings submitted in the last year

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I will NEVER be using Dollar rental again. We picked up our rental at MCO. Upon picking it up we were asked about the different "coverage" options, we stated that we did not want any extra coverage for anything. The employee said, "Ok, I just need you to sign declining the coverages." We did not receive anything to read over, just signed on the electronic pen pad. We were given a receipt and went to pick up our car. It was a new model car and we were happy with it, until we got in. For the entire week of having the car and driving with the windows down the smell of ** never went away. Also on day 2 the brakes started making the loudest squealing noise every time to even barely touched the brakes. It was so loud it was hard to have the windows down. So we either got to smell the strong ** smell or have our ears hurt every time we brake for the entire time we drove the rental.

Fast forward to drop off. It went smooth. Then once we flew home I realized there was an extra charge on our credit card for $33.99 per day totaling $169.95 for "loss/damage coverage". I immediately reached out via Facebook messenger to figure out what this was for. Upon getting no solution over the next 2 days. I called the customer service line. I spoke with someone and explained that we declined ALL extra coverages. He said that since we signed the receipt there was nothing we could do. I explained that we weren't given anything to sign. We were just asked to sign electronically for what we were told was the car pickup. I was told he could not help me.

The next day I (finally) receive a response via messenger and was told (rudely) that we signed for the charges, there would be no refund of the fees and the decision was final and to not reach out again as there would be no further discussion on the matter. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I would have expected more from such a large company. But lesson learned, we will be using another company for all our future rental needs.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

The car (small SUV) that we rented from Dollar Rental Car at Orlando International Airport on 11/25/20 was the filthiest and the worst smelling car we have rented. We use rental cars several times each year and have never been in one that was clearly not cleaned at all and was visibly dirty. Unfortunately Dollar was running very short on cars at the airport and we were given an upgrade to a very small SUV rather than the full-size car we had requested. Due to the lack of cars available we felt that if we complained at the time we picked it up we would have been told there aren't any other options. The customer service at the pick-up area was pretty much nonexistent. Sadly we were stuck with a small, extremely dirty SUV type vehicle.

I did contact someone at the Dollar customer service number we were given but I was simply told to fill out a form on-line. The worst part, as if the spills and dirt throughout the car weren't bad enough, the car had an overbearing smell of cigarette smoke. Yes, even with a sticker attached to the windshield of the car that warns the renter that smoking is not permitted and violators will be charged for the cleaning, someone had clearly smoked in the car and it had not been cleaned to rid the car of the smell. By the end of a week of riding in that rental car my husband and I felt horrible due to the smoke smell. In fact there was even a burn hole in the passenger seat (front).

What a disgrace and especially during Covid when most car rental companies have gone out of their way to keep cars clean and sanitized. I rented a car locally from another company and they had stickers and notes on the inside of the car letting the customer know that cleaning was done and all precautions had been taken to make the interior as safe as possible...and it was very clean. Several e-mails that were sent to me from Dollar prior to our rental talked about Clean Car guarantee and their website talks about all they do to follow CDC guidelines in regards to Covid. I can tell you Dollar at Orlando International Airport did not clean this car at all.

I understand that Covid has hit the travel related services quite hard but there is no excuse for the condition of that car and the lack of customer service. In fact during this time of Covid all companies involved in rental of items to numerous individuals should show great concern for cleanliness and safety of those items. I am requesting to hear back from someone at Dollar Rent a Car concerning this issue, we'll see what happens with that. I also want to share the pictures I took so they can see the degree of disgusting we experienced. This is our first experience with renting a car from Dollar and I can say it most likely will be our last.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I returned car on time. Clean and full of gas. 2 days later told needed to return car. They withdrew rental charges but kept hold for expected rental and deposit. Told get bank on phone and they’d fix since they had 3x’s the amount of my $. I was in bank manager said he could fix if they’d give code to release $. They said he couldn’t do it. Had to do it by 3 way call with bank hotline. Dumbest thing heard in long time plus all the dates. Dollar rep was saying were wrong. Run around every time on phone with them and get different responses of what’s going on as well. With additional $800ish this has cost me since they overdraft my account. I feel robbed. If I did this I’d go to jail for theft by deception.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I rented from Dollar (Hertz parent co) 11/25/ - 11/29/20. Unfortunately accepted EZ Pass addition. After realizing I could add a rented car to my own EZ Pass account, same day called and ask for EZ Pass agreement to be taken off. I was told it would be noted on my agreement. The 2019 Cadillac CTS I rented had a slow leak from one tire which I became aware of the following day. By the third day I decided to bring the car in for a exchange because I had enough of putting air in the tire which had cost me around $5 by then.

When I got to the airport I was told all they had available were minivans but they were going to try to fix the slow leak, about two hours later and growing impatient which the female manager detected after giving me the run-around about not having a comparable car she exchanged the CTS for a Jeep Wrangler that I saw sitting with the minivans in the parking lot when I arrived 2 hours prior. Dollar refused to credit me the additional $50 for the EZ Pass even after not using it, the toll charges were on my EZ Pass account. After filling the tank to the Jeep about 5 miles outside the airport the gas gauge had barely moved from full Dollar added $20 to my final bill for fuel charge. Dollar (Hertz) will nickel and dime you everywhere they can to get your DOLLAR, renters beware.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I am a reward customer and therefore feel as though there should be some loyalty. I rented a car on November 6 and when I did my credit card was charged $469. $269 for the weekly rental and $200 for the hold. I was fine with that since that is what I agreed to. Later on that night I get an alert from a separate credit card saying that they were also charged $269. I called Dollar Rental to find out why they charged this separate card $269 since they already charged my other card the $269 plus the $200 for the hold. They had no idea what I was talking about and told me that since it wasn’t associated with the rental it would just fall off.

Well I can assure you that this charge never fell off and I called my credit card company only to be told that I need to call Dollar Rental. I called dollar rental once again and asked to speak to a supervisor and I was told that I could not speak to a supervisor and that that $269 would fall off once I return the car. I once again explained that it should’ve never been charged in the first place since they already received my money on the other credit card. They refused to listen to me and when I asked to speak to a supervisor they hung up on me.

I rent pretty much every six weeks from them and I will no longer use them. There are many rental companies that I could choose but I chose them because I was impressed with them. I am also notifying anyone fellow colleague who runs a huge corporation and also uses them. I am sure he will be amused to find out how I was treated and will pull his business as well. I feel horrible as I was treated horribly and I feel for anyone who uses them especially if this is how they treat their loyal customers.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Don't use Dollar rental. They will literally steal money out of your account. I rented a car for a few days which I paid 230$. After I returned the car I was charged 200 in additional fees. I have no idea what they are. I've called endlessly and I can't get thru. Now I got another bill for 71$ for their toll pass. Which I paid for when I rented the car. Trust me this company is a SCAM! They should be put right out of business. I'm making it a personal mission to let everyone know that Dollar is one of the worst companies out there.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I recently booked a Dollar car rental which was subsequently cancelled as my client advised he had Covid symptoms/concerns. I notified Dollar 7-10 days in advance and was surprised to find they still charge cancellation fees even though Covid was the reason - an extremely tone-deaf policy considering the impact on the economy. A better policy might be to apply the deposit towards a future rental? Notwithstanding, I feel a touch of corporate greed and as such will never rent from Dollar again. Shame.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I guess Dollar/Hertz's bankruptcy troubles are making them desperate for money because they are quickly becoming the company known for tacking on wrongful and fraudulent fees. I picked up my on September 18th at the Portland airport in Maine, which was deserted. The car they gave me REEKED of smoke. But there was no one at the pick-up place to complain to. I left with the intention of reporting it the next day. (Learned my lesson there. Dollar will give you a disgusting car and then blame YOU for it!) Well, you can't get through to anyone by phone at Dollar. The customer service center was closed all weekend. Then they don't answer the phone during the week. They automated service actually put me on hold for an hour (during my vacation) and then disconnected the line! I had no recourse to report the damage. (Dollar eventually blamed me for "not filing a report.")

After a thoroughly unpleasant 10 days in a car that made my clothes and hair stink of smoke, I went to return it the car on September 27th at their Park Plaza location in Boston intending to complain. Wouldn't you know, there was no one at the drop-off location for me to report it to. It was another deserted parking garage. There were no vacuum cleaners to clean it myself, nothing.

Then I get my bill and they charged me $400 for "damage." It took me 2 hours (not kidding) to get through by phone to a customer service rep and find out what exactly I was being charged for. Smoke, they said. I explained that I do not smoke. I did not smoke in the car and the car was delivered to me that way. That I tried to report it, but could not due to non-existent customer service. He said there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to his manager. Another 45 minutes on hold. That guy said there was nothing he could do and suggested I write to Hertz customer relations.

I emailed with 5 different customer service agents, each one even less effectual and more terrible than the last. They truly do not care. In their mind, the customer is always wrong. In the last exchange they sent me a photo of the damage. There was some sand on the gearshift. Unbelievable. I wrote back, So now it's sand, not smoke? Make up your mind. Also, do you not have a vacuum cleaner? $400 for sand?? Their story kept changing. Smoke. Sand. “You didn't file a report.” Basically anything to shift blame. Clearly, they are understaffed, both at their pickup and drop-off locations and at their customer service centers. But instead of being accountable and owning their mistakes, they blame the customer and tack on wrongful fees to boot. Why are they allowed to get away with this? It's fraud. Do not rent with Dollar or Hertz. What kind of company doesn't take the word of its customers? Oh, one that's in bankruptcy. Good luck with that!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I rented a vehicle from SLC to Las Vegas through Dollar Car Rental. At the time, I spoke to the counter attendant and they said whether I dropped at Las Vegas or Phoenix, both options were the same price ($603) since it was out of state. I decided to go to Phoenix so I called and spoke to Alex (ID **) who gave me a new quote - $326 extra - so I asked to speak to a manager. He assured me that a manager would call back in 24 hours - they did not. I again called and was given the same story - no call back.

When I returned it in Phoenix, I told the attendant who again reassured me that it would not be an extra charge. When I got my final bill - I had an extra $678 charge. I reached out to executive customer service multiple times and they said my calls never took place despite phone records and said that they can reprice a contract whenever they want.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Felicia at Memphis, Tennessee airport is very rude. I asked her for her name. She said Felicia. I asked for her last name. She said, “you didn’t need to know y’all that." She makes personal phone calls while assisting customers. I asked for a supervisor & she called TSA to escort me. Very unprofessional!!!!

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information