Dollar Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We are very displeased with the unfair and outrageous additional charges upon the drop off of the vehicle. Our rental fee which was 800 ended up in almost double the price due to charges inferred by the following unexpected charges: Renting and replacing a broken-from-the-start child seat (this cost was never mentioned at pick up), $182 plus taxes! The unlimited EZ pass we were obligated to pay for, since we weren't told how the gadget worked (it had to be inside the box if we didn't want to use it) and then we were informed that they would charge us $15 in addition to the toll charges every time it had been used! $310 plus taxes. And the unknown and unexplained concession recovery fees, $75.

I had a contract with DOLLAR through CarFlexi, at my arrival in Las Vegas Dollar wouldn't accept my card being they didn't have a chip card reader at the counter and their machine wouldn't recognize the swipe. The agent wouldn't accept any other payment I offered (cash or bank transfer or on phone credit card from my father) and told me he had found a solution through a different company (ADVANTAGE) where I was brought to an employee who already seemed to know about my situation. I was therefore led to believe that I was going to get the same contract (or in the same range of price) as previously signed with DOLLAR. Instead the ADVANTAGE agent had me sign a new contract without specifying the details and costs, for a total amount of over 1000$. I am filing complaints for both agencies as it is my impression there was an agreement between the two employees to scam me.

I booked a car via my credit card points which fully covered the rental charge. When we went to pick up the car in Orlando, there was a huge line and only a couple of agents, so we had to wait an inordinate amount of time with two young kids. By the time we got to the agent we were ready to just get the car and go. Unfortunately, our agent could not speak English very well so we struggled just to understand what she was trying to offer us. We rejected the fuel fill-up and agreed to do it ourselves. We also told her we did not want the optional damage coverage. When my husband was handed the contract, he assume he was just accepting the car and that was the end of it. But oh no, the agent had indicated we DID want the damage coverage which turned out to be over $175 for the week.

Did we read the contract? NO, but when I tell someone I don't want something I assume they will not give it to me. To make things worse, when I got my credit card bill, Dollar had also charged over $40 for fuel even though we returned the car with a full tank! So far, they accept no responsibility for handing us a contract we didn't want, and are only refunding part of the fuel charge. Absolutely ridiculous that their agents can hand you anything and bear no responsibility. Will never rent from Dollar/Hertz again and am advising everyone I know not to either. I have never had an issue like this with any other rental company.

Do not reserve a rental car from Dollar Rent A Car in Montego Bay, Jamaica. The rental location is in a seedy location offsite from the airport. We reserved a car for pick-up June 27th, 2017 and when we arrived, the initially provided quote was more than double. Actually, the owners of Dollar need to check out this location and require renovations or shut it down. It was a horrible and scary location, we had the driver take us back to the airport and rented from Enterprise and they were wonderful.

A terrible experience. I had a rental confirmation for both price and size. Denver, Colorado. Dollar attempted to charge 3 times the amount and said the type of car reserved was not available. After being laughed at by the desk employee, I stated that we wanted both the price and model that we were quoted. The car offered would not have taken us into the mountains. The entire desk process was inexcusable. The type of car offered was not even on the lot for pickup. Very dishonest way of doing business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

While on a trip to Chicago, everything went well while picking up our rental at the Chicago-O'hare Airport. The Midsize SUV was clean and well equipped and the staff were helpful and pleasant that day. No complaints at all. The problems arose when trying to return the car. My family arrived 2 hours before the flight, as directed (which was 4:30 am) It started to rain... and I mean RAIN - like a monsoon, it was dark and visibility was extremely limited. Lighting outside was very poor as well. Still, I can live with this, rain is expected in Chicago, and it's dark outside the facility... but it's okay.

I went inside to ask where to take the car to return it. Was told to drive around back and a girl would be back there. I walked around the building 3 times, with no awning or coverage at all (which also wasn't that big a deal... it's all good) but did not see a soul anywhere around. There was a little building that had light on, as if it was a little shack they sat in to accept returns... but no person was there. I went back in only to be told, "She's out there. Look in the car back there." Mind you it is a rental car company, there are cars everywhere. I again walked around the building - still raining like CRAZY. After another 2 trips around this little business I see a compact car sitting near the shack that should house a car - return person I assume (with limited lighting around back of the building and absolutely no lights on inside of the car - it's not even running. The ignition is OFF!).

Anyway, as I walk up to the car, still with a monsoon coming down and I am WET TO THE BONE I see someone in the driver's seat of a car. I walk closer to the car, still not sure if it is an employee. I motion for her to roll down the window and she won't. She looks at me like I am crazy and says something thru the door that I can't hear. I yell for her to open the door. I end up standing right on top of the car door and am about to knock on the window when she barely cracks open the door and I ask where to return the car. She yells back for me to drive the car up in the front of her car and just leave the keys in it and she shuts her door. Never does she leave that dry little compact car.

Needless to say, I was livid, freezing cold with water dripping off my nose. I was quite a sight to behold. To say the flight home was uncomfortable with wet jeans, t-shirt (that got completely soaked thru), a heavy, completely wet from top to bottom denim jacket is an understatement. I wouldn't recommend this company ever, at least not at Chicago-O'hare.

I'll keep this as short as possible, but basically we booked a trip to Vegas through Orbitz that included a car rental in our package through Dollar Rent A Car. The woman who assisted us scammed us into buying insurance by saying it was the basic package and presenting it as their lowest option when it was obvious that I didn't want the insurance at all, as my Amex covers it. She then proceeded to tell us that having them fill it with gas when we returned it would cost "almost exactly the same" as filling it ourselves, so I approved that. It turns out that it is $9.99 per gallon to have them fill it! When we returned the car and I got a receipt saying I was being charged $190 for my rental, we took it back to the counter and spoke with the manager. This man proceeded to just recite policy over and over, saying there was no proof of what the original service agent said to us, and that the details were given to us on the original contract we signed.

Like a fool, I did sign their electronic pad without checking the folded up packet of paperwork they handed me, assuming they weren't completely scamming their customers. In addition, he just kept offering me a $100 voucher that I could use with their company in the future (good for a year), which I declined because I would rather eat shards of glass than use this pathetic company again. I immediately called Amex to dispute the charges on the card, which I am hoping they will help me with since I have never disputed a single thing in almost 20 years of having the card. Stay away from these complete scam artists, there is a reason their online reviews are so terrible!

I am extremely upset with Dollar Rental. I love Orbitz and have never had a problem in the past and booked through them. I would strongly suggest that no one uses Dollar Rental for your rental car business reservation. I ended up paying the same amount for the car rental twice because they lie and are untruthful and a scam. I cannot afford 500 dollars for a rental car.

They acted like we didn't pay the reservation and I had my prepaid reservation agreement from Orbitz with me. And had my husband sign the receipt and said it would go on the card then we would get reimbursed when the rental came back. What they had him sign without telling him was the insurance waiver which we told him we didn't need. Insurance which happens to be almost the same charge as the rental car. It is absolutely ridiculous. They took advantage of a family of 5 with 3 little boys. If I would have saw these other reviews before going on my trip to Houston I would have went with someone else for my car rental since the experiences are identical. Dollar Rental does not deserve a rating of 1 either.

After arriving at the airport in Tampa, I headed to pick up my rental car, which was already paid for through my Expedia booking. The customer service rep informed me I had to pay an additional $250 deposit. When I handed her my debit card, she then stated that she needed to run my credit because I was using a debit card. Once I heard that, my blood started to boil! I've rented several cars before, and had never experienced a SURPRISE deposit with credit check.

I asked if I could cancel the reservation, and walk over to another dealer. To cancel, I had to go through Expedia, and wait several days for a refund. I needed the car, so I had to agree to the credit check. Before the CSR swiped my debit card, she mumbled something I couldn't quite understand, when I asked her to repeat herself, she spoke up and said "you agree to the additional insurance coverage." NO I DIDN'T!!! Just as I stated in my ORIGINAL BOOKING!! This car rental company is a joke. It's worth paying more to go with another company. Horrible experience.

We rented from Dollar Rent a Car in the past, but this time is our last. We went to the counter at the airport and made sure to tell them we were signing up two drivers as we both needed to drive the car. We were told that we had to PAY an extra $13 PER DAY for the second driver. What??? Are you kidding me? What a rip off. I was so angry. Never had that happen before and it will never happen again. They had their policies up on the counter, but this $13 per day charge was HANDWRITTEN on it. Not even typed! Not a part of their "regular" charges. We called the customer service and voiced an opinion about it and all we got was "we are sorry." Really people?? Never again.

If someone is reading this review then I will suggest them don't rent a car from Dollar/Hertz. It is good to go to hell rather than renting the car from a Dollar. They are simply sitting there to steal your money. That's it.

I rented a car from Dollar Car Rental 5/12/17 - 5/17/17. It was part of a bundle deal I booked on Expedia. After arriving at the rental location I was informed the car I reserved was not available. I could take a smaller car or upgrade. The employee told me it would be a one-time fee of $40. I also upgraded the insurance, a one-time fee... or so I was told. I returned the car and was not given any receipt or paperwork. A month later I received my credit card statement and they charged me $412. I called them and they told me the upgrade was a daily fee. I was told I was lied to by their agents and their response was that it is not their problem. THIS IS THEFT BY DECEPTION, pure and simple. This company has no moral values or a sense of decency. They are scam artists. Do Not Ever Rent from Dollar Car Rental.

The worst service I could receive. It was the first time that I was renting a car, my daughter did reservation for me. I chose the car in advantage paying extra more and getting the best deal for what I need. I arrived in Missouri and I gave them my reservation. They wanted to give me a different car. I explained to them that I had paid for the small car. They gave me a small car not the one that I had chosen. They asked me for the license of the person who accompanied me, even if he was not going to drive, and when I got back my bill went up from 130 dollars, to 318 dollars and explain to them that had already been paid. The agent say we do not have that card. She charged another card.

Dollar Rental put quotes online and then change completely when you cannot do anything that you are in their hands, I never rent with them ever. I compare with other people who went to the same place. Theirs was low compared to mine, was the first time I used car rental. I have a not even one ticket. I use this service was only option to see my daughter who graduated from the army and there was no other option there. But do not use companies like races and abusive. The first impression counts and I will do this it viral.

We were looking forward to our trip to LA from Melbourne, Australia. Rented with Dollar through our Travel Agency for a Mid Size SUV. Waited over 1/2 hr at LAX for the shuttle while other shuttles were every 5 mins. Finally got to the Dollar in Inglewood and was told to sign all these papers was told it was only holding fees (security deposit) and its fully refundable upon return. I also made it quite clear no extras to be added as I had travel insurance which covered everything. Went to the lot out the back to get the vehicle found out keys were locked in the vehicle, waited another 15- 20 mins for someone to get into the vehicle.

What a great way to start our trip. Enjoyed the next 14 days. Dropped of the vehicle, all going to plan. Flew back to Australia and when we landed I checked my credit card statement and the hold Dollar put on my card was fully refunded. Checked it 2 days later and $196 USD was withdrawn from my account. I contacted Dollar via email and was told it was for additional products. I made it quite clear at pick up there was to be no additional charges. Not happy with their responses as they said I agreed to it in which I did not. All I want is just a refund...

Agent was ambiguous when booking the reservation. We requested no extras but these were added by the agent saying 'this is the basic package". What was worse was that we discussed the epass. We explained where we were going and we were assured we could pay these in cash. We then found that the bridges into NY were all being changed as epass only - surely Dollar should have known this and advised to take out the epass extra. Instead we had to find out ourselves that cash payment was not possible. Despite trying to pay the 8.5$ charge we were told by the agent it was not possible but we would have to wait and pay a fine and extra toll fees. How is this fair? Shame on you Dollar - we are your customers. You should be looking after us not letting us fall foul of penalties that only line your pockets.

I had booked a rental car through Travelocity and picked Dollar as my rental company to used with my package. Upon arrival at ATL airport, I stood and waited in line for almost 45 min to just see a rep. Once, I was able to get to the counter I was told I needed to pay a $350 deposit on the rental that had already been paid in full through my company. I handed them my debit card and then was proceeded to be told I would have to have a credit check ran on myself since I was giving them a debit card. I refused the credit check and asked why I had to pay more money on a car that was already paid in full and a company card was on file. The young lady at the desk was beyond rude and stated it was my problem and I wasn't getting a car.

I walked away called Travelocity to see what they could do for me. I then got back in line and went to another lady who looked at me and said, "you have already been up here and we didn't want to help you then", she then got up and walked away from me! Unreal! I have NEVER had such horrible customer service in my life and would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. I went over to National, where I was helped with the most respect and able to get a car with zero issues. Dollar rental doesn't even deserve 1 star!

We have rented many cars over the years from a variety of rental car agencies. This was the first time with Dollar. Prepaid online, show up at the counter and surprise - they added on a liability insurance of $240.00 plus facility charges, concession charge and three other random amounts totalling an additional $170.00. Guy at counter told me the liability insurance was mandatory in Massachusetts even though I told him we have that coverage already. An hour later after haggling, a kind lady who brought our car to us managed to get that removed from our bill - I hope. Still have to check my credit card statement. Next, guy at the counter told us we should buy the EZ pass toll package for $120.00 because he said the tolls do not take cash and the toll to drive in and out of the Boston airport alone is $15.00 each way.

Never being to Boston before, we took him at his word, paid the $120.00 for the machine, having had visions of massive toll charges all over Massachusetts. After traveling around Massachusetts for the past two weeks, we certainly found out the guy lied. You can pay cash and the tolls are very small. Had we not got that EZ pass, it would only have cost us about $8.50 for tolls. What a ripoff. I will never rent through Dollar again. I only gave them one star because of the helpful lady in the car rental garage.

I was at Nashville with my family. The girl at the counter was very short with her responses to my questions, almost like I was less human and more machine. She also said the car must be filled within 10 miles of the airport and I would have to show them a receipt for the gas on return. Never heard that rule before. When I went to the lot to pick up the car after getting my bags she was there also. I showed her my contract and she pointed and said cars are there. I ask which one? She said any full size. Picked the car, only no keys in sight. I walked back and insisted that she should talk to me as if I was human and show me were the keys are. She came out of her booth and again pointed to the cars and said, "They must be somewhere in the car"; shook my head, walked away and found the keys in one of the many compartments within the car.

When I returned the car days later her incompetence came back to haunt me. It seems the contract she gave me was incomplete; in fact it said that in big bold letters on the front of the contract. With this they allowed me to drive off with the car which was registered under an incomplete contract. They need to get it together and show the customers that they appreciate the business!

Booked a car via CarRental8.com. Paid instantly $207. Got a message stating we have to pay extra $87.24 at pickup. They asked us to pickup from Dollar car rental in Boston. They charged the credit card for $278. Instead the $87.24 they charged $278.00. Asked for a refund. They said NO. We will not use CarRental8.com or Dollar Rent a Car again.

After searching through 3rd party rentals got a great deal on a CRV for April 1 through May 6. Was told the car was not available but would give me a Jeep Compass. Then told I should get toll package and I would need a Dodge Journey. Used vehicle for seven days and had transmission trouble. Was towed 3 hours back from where we came and given a Honda Camry which had no toll set up. Two weeks later the service needed light came on. We were told to go to a small airport and exchange the vehicle. We got there and was told they didn't have a car for us. I called again and was told to try again in a bigger city. Two days later I exchanged the car for a Chevy Malibu, again without a toll package.

Called to tell them about this and was told to call back after I turned the car in. I called back after I turned it in and explained about all the problems. I was told they were sorry. I said that wasn't going to work and he said he would refund $250. I said "Not worth it" so he raised it to $300 but that was all I would get. Dollar Rental will never see any business from me and I will tell anyone that I see.

Beware of Dollar's "Loss dmg wvr" (loss damage waiver) product. This is Dollar's loss damage insurance that they offer to insure the rented car against accidents or damage. Cost, depending on car, is around $29 a day. At the counter we were asked if we wanted "loss damage waiver". We said "yes" thinking that waiver meant do not accept the product. We also told them that we did not want their insurance for loss. The name of their product is very misleading. In my opinion they deliberately put the name waiver in the product name to make customers believe they are turning down the product. I believe they should rename the product "loss dmg ins" (loss damage insurance) to avoid the confusion.

When we contacted the company about this issue, we were asked if we had read the charge ticket, implying that it was our job to make sure that employees of the company did not charge us for something we did not want (essentially saying that they do not care that their employees deliberately charge customers for things they do not want as long as the customers don't catch the charge). Being individuals who take it for granted that the employees of Dollar would not deliberately do something like sell us something we did not want, we did not thoroughly check the ticket. In this case a big mistake on our part. The customer service person we talked to said that she would reimburse us about 1/2 the cost of the charge. The full amount would have been the proper amount for us in this case, but we accepted the amount. We will never again use Dollar to rent a car again, and never recommend anyone we know to use Dollar.

The customer service with this company is non existent. I rent cars every week and they have gotten worse since Hertz took over. Express means nothing. When trying to reserve online you have to enter all your info every single time then give all your ID and credit card when you get to the counter. Their customer service people NEVER EVER address concerns. They just blow it off.

Dollar Rent a Car AUSTIN Airport. CAR was old with 30,000 miles. Even though declined extra insurance, agent asked for many initials and one of them was added in between to add the extra insurance. Good thing I had the conversation recorded on my phone at the counter so the manager took off the extra charge. If you add airline frequent flier miles number in your reservation to accrue miles for your car rental, you will see extra charge when you return the vehicle. They don't mention that when you pick up the vehicle.

Record the conversation with an agent to avoid any additional charges at the end to cover yourself. During my rental, car had 2 flat tires, none of them had nails or anything. The tires were not maintained properly and had air leak from prior flat repair. They declined to replace the car. I had to use my own AAA to tow it to the tire shop in an unknown city, spend 5-6 hours waiting for it to be repaired.

So I rented a truck from Dollar for about $20 a day which I thought was a fantastic price. I booked it and showed up the day of to pick up my rental. First when I got to Dollar they had not 1 single truck cleaned or ready for pick up mind you I called that same day to verify my rental would be ready. So having no other option I waited for them to clean a truck. I picked up my rental from the Houston Hobby airport location and the employees were so not helpful. The woman who went over my rental details with me never informed me that the car was a non smoking car and I would be charged $300 if I did smoke in my rental. Had I known this I would have pulled over at rest points along my way.

So when I return the car this is when I am notified by the RUDE man checking my rental when I returned it. He said to me VERY RUDE "Well don't you read your contracts?!" I wanted to reply "Well don't you train your employees to notify your customers of such things?" However it was almost 1:00 am and I just wanted to get some sleep. I paid the $300 but still had to wait from the girl to check me out and contact someone from her cell phone because she didn't know how. AGAIN ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THEM NOT TRAINING EMPLOYEES. I finally get out of the rental place at about 1:30 am.

Once I wake up for work at 7 am I realize I left my Gold Michael Kors watch in the dash of the truck and now guess what?? DOLLAR can't seem to find my watch!!! Mind you they told me that due to the smoke in the car they would not be able to rent it and had to "Deep Clean" the truck so only Dollar employees would be in the truck. So in other words not only have they robbed me of $300 for not informing me of the no smoking policy they have now also ROBBED ME OF MY WATCH! This has been the WORST RENTAL OF MY LIFE!! I have lost over $500 to this company now and they do not care at all. DO NOT RENT FROM DOLLAR!!! I GUARANTEE YOU WILL REGRET IT!

After being told it would not be an issue to extend a car rental, I was told an extra day would cost $240!!! Spent an unbelievably long amount of time on the phone during our vacation. Once I did get off hold, the service person did not speak clear English. VERY frustrating experience. I do NOT recommend using Dollar Car Rental.

I rented a car at Dollar Rental Car in Detroit with drop off in Chicago. Therefore, the car rep had to know I was driving from Detroit to Chicago. Someone should have offered me a toll tag? Or, at least, someone should have explained the shock I would feel when I received the bill from Dollar for the tolls!!! The toll was 4.95 plus 15.00 per toll which ended up being a bill for $75.00!!! I would have happily paid them the tolls when I turned in the vehicle or paid for use of a toll tag... rental car companies in general need to go the way of old taxi systems... Uber instead of renting a car? Anyway, Dollar/Thrifty are now off my list of rental companies.

The person that checked me in, was slower than molasses in winter, and not interested in his job. My rental record was #**. However, when I returned the car, the person that greeted me was RICHARD, and he laughed and said I wouldn't have trouble remembering since we both had the same name. He was polite, efficient and gave me directions to get to the shuttle for the Jet Blue Terminal. Richard deserves a raise. Sorry it took me so long to write this review.

These people are full of lies. I had a reservation from Dollar in Denver airport from 5/27 to 5/31, 2017. They suggested me an upgrade at a discounted price totalling to $415 with LDW. I took it with the receipt showing $415. When I went in to return the car, they charged me for $576. When I showed them the original receipt, they said the whoever had given me the receipt calculated it wrongly. When I protested, the person at the counter said that he will talk to the manager later and will sort out the discrepancy.

2 days later, $576 is posted to my account. I called in the customer service. I was told that the old contract was voided and $576 was the correct amount and that I might not have looked at the contract correctly. Ridiculous. I had the contract of $415 in hand and they are accusing me of not reading the contract. After a lengthy argument, they agreed to refund me $56 but no more. Don't go for them. Company run by cheats. Waste of time and waste of money.

Our experience with Dollar Car Rental in Cleveland was quite unpleasant. The biggest problem was that we were told that we would have to pay a hefty surcharge to add a second driver, even though the second driver was my wife. In many years of renting cars we had never experienced this before. Then when we said we'd only have one driver so we could avoid the surcharge, the staff (or perhaps the computer) kept making errors in attempting to return the price to the originally specified price. In addition, we had to go through the overall car inspection (necessary so we wouldn't be charged for any pre-existing dents) at the exit gate (rather than when we were initially selecting the car as we have done at every car rental we've ever done in the past) where there was a long line of impatiently waiting folks with their cars. Altogether a thoroughly disagreeable experience. I'm sure we won't be renting from Dollar again any time in the foreseeable future.

I rented a car through Orbitz. Did not want extra charges. I signed what I thought was just my rental only to realize I was charged TWICE. I was told by customer service I had signed for extra coverage. I DID NOT KNOW THIS. I THOUGHT I WAS SIGNING FOR MY CAR. NO ONE ASK ME IF I WANTED THIS EXTRA COVERAGE. If I had wanted it I would have got it when I rented the car online. Customer service was rude and just over and over said I signed this. Look at the reviews before you rent a car from them. They are the worse.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.
  • Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.
  • Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.
  • Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.
  • Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.
  • Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Compare Rental Cars