2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

We rented a full size car over the New Year holiday at the Kansas City airport. The reservation was processed quickly and there was no high pressure selling to upgrade or add on insurance coverage. The unexpected bonus, which had never happened in my many years of renting cars, was when we returned, the employee checking in the returned car saw that we had many suitcases and our granddaughter in a car seat. He told us to keep our luggage in the car and that he would take us directly to the airport as opposed to removing all of our luggage and the car seat in order to take the shuttle to the airport. We will definitely use Dollar at the Kansas City airport again!

Original review: May 5, 2019

After a horrible experience at Europcar in Cancun I walked next door to Dollar Car Rental. Air conditioned office, professional staff, no hard pressure p-selling. I was in and out within 10 minutes. Drop off was as easy. Mid sized 4-door VW was in great shape. Highly recommend this hassle free, professionally run office in Cancun. Start your vacation without the hassle!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

None better than this company. The courteous service and the exceptional condition of the automobiles is incomparable. I will continue to use this company for all my car needs. I have told everyone I know that they should use this automobile company.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Great customer service. Prices are reasonable (in my opinion) and a large fleet of vehicles to choose from. Staff was very informative and detailed orientated. I am a customer for life. I would definitely recommend DOLLAR Car rental if you're in the Newark Airport Area.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am extremely pleased with the handling of my rental car at the Dollar Rent A Car desk at Miami International Airport. My desk attendant was Inram **, a very courteous and efficient employee who handled my particular situation with extreme professionalism and helpfulness. Due to the specific situation of my rental agreement, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Joaquin **, the desk manager on duty, and as well, I was extremely pleased with his knowledge and professionalism in the handling of my agreement. Five Stars for these two employees. I rent cars frequently and noticed the difference between renting with Dollar Rent A Car and other rental car companies at Miami International Airport. I also like to rent a specific car size and later having the ability to personally select the specific car I want from a lot of rental cars available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

We reserved a vehicle online for $49 to be ready at 10:30 for pick up and the reservation was confirmed by Dollar Rent A Car. My sister-in-law and I paid for transportation to their location on 16th Street from the Miami Ship Port only to be told they did not have our car available for at least 4 hours. The manager gave us three options:

1. Wait at least 4 hours for a car to be returned.
      2. Rent an SUV at $95, almost twice the price we were quoted. (The manager refused to allow us to have any other car at the $49 price they agreed to online).

3. He told us we could try another rental place 2 blocks away.

Mind you, we paid to get to his place of business and our ride left us there, we had several pieces of luggage with us, and we are both over 60 years of age. There was no offer to help us with this situation, even when I called their customer service department. I would not recommend this company to anyone. If I could, I would have given Dollar zero stars. BEWARE! By the way, apparently, Dollar is now owned by THRIFTY, so I would be wary of them, too.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I rented a car on line from Dollar Rent A Car at Tampa Airport. The car was old and noisy to drive, lots of squeaking and creaking. When I picked the car I was told to return it full of gas, and to make sure I fill up from a gas station within 10 miles from the airport and bring a receipt as proof of filling up! I agreed as I always bring any rental car full. However, on my way to Tampa from Sarasota to return the car after my holiday there was no gas station within 10 miles on I 275 without going miles out of my way to the airport. I returned to the airport with gas tank half full thinking it's not a big deal to pay for half tank of gas. I was charged $85 for half a tank on Chevy Malibu. I almost filled the tank for $23.50 a few days before. When I expressed my disappointment they said they charge $10 for gallon of gas that you pay $2.35 in a gas station, plus tax! I would never rent a car from this dishonest place, there are so many decent car rental companies out there.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I rented under the manager special which was “economy or larger,” 5 seater etc. When I arrived in Denver they gave me a Spark. 5 seater if you are under 80 pounds. In the end I had to pay an additional $200 to get a car that would be safe driving in Denver winter conditions. I don’t think I will ever rent from them again. Really bad marketing. Shame on me for thinking they would be honorable.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Please do not rent from this company or Thrifty. I've rented from every company between the lower and higher Fox, E-Z, Hertz, Enterprise, etc. And have never experienced the joke of a service company named "Dollar\Thrifty". Reserved a SUV online through this company because it was one of the better prices by a small margin ($195 for SUV 4 days). I'm used to being thorough with my traveling experiences, so after booking I called the company (Dollar) because the confirmation gave me a car group acronym and not the words SUV. I was told on the phone that they looked up my reservation, and found that the car group code was indeed for the SUV. They gave me a number to call back if I had any trouble.

A few weeks later when I go to pick up the vehicle, I check in and was told that my reservation was for a smaller vehicle. After talking with them more I find the vehicle I actually reserved online was not even available. I called the number that they have given me, and the manager across the room answered, and simply said looks like the reservation on their end changed. And offered me an upgraded vehicle for $1330 extra! Or I could just take a pick up truck which I elected to do for a discount of $350.. They didnt take me to the car, and just showed me where it was by pointing and adding keys are in the car.

I walked up to a car covered in soot and grime. The inside still had trash from the last person that used it. I decided to just deal with it because I was already running behind. I go to the check out station, and the guy working asked for the miles, any visible damage, and asked about the fuel. I gave him all the information and added that the vehicle was a little under a full tank. I was told to make sure it's about full when I return...

Finished the trip, and was running late for the airport, decided to play it safe and return the car with 1/3 of a tank. (Should have taken a photos) I ended up paying $195 in fuel charges. They had me pay for a full tank plus some. After telling them that it was not a full tank when I started, they responded by saying there is no record of the vehicle being less than full. The person I was working with seemed almost like they were getting a kick out of my concerns for the crazy charges that I had been issued. I have doubts that they even looked at the vehicle before renting it out in the first place. Needless to say this is a company that I will always advise against doing business. The only reason I can think of them deserving 1 star is because the shuttle drivers were good. A good lesson is dont always go with the cheapest option, make sure you read reviews, and never give Dollar/Thrifty any of your money.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I was in Indian Wells for 6 days to do a triathlon, the car was rented at the airport. He charges me with FasTrak fees in San Francisco at 8 hours drive! I have to wrestle with them for reimbursement. Really complicated!

Not sure about Dollar Rent A Car?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information