1.48/5

1681 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2019

Dollar Rental Car charges a $15 dollar administrative fee for every toll that you go through...meaning every increment of highway that go through that has tolls adds a $15 charge on top of the actual toll. The Dollar Rental Car near the RDU airport did a terrible job of even mentioning this fee despite having a major toll thoroughfare that leads to the airport. It is appalling that they would not warn customers about such a ridiculous fee.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Desk clerk gave me inaccurate information about dropping the car off in another city. This has been a nightmare and is costing me four hours in time, about $100 additional dollars and abundant frustration. I should have read the reviews before booking with them. Never again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Service was very good and the employee was very friendly and helpful. Did try to select a smaller vehicle but due to time of year and when original reservation was made, cost would have been higher.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I booked my Dollar rental car on Booking.com. I paid $134 at the time that I booked and was told that when I picked that car up I would only pay the taxes so the total I paid would be around $200. I never agreed to any additional charges at the time of picking up the car so they told me the total would be $208, which seemed right based on the original quote. Later I discovered that a Loss Waiver charge was applied without my consent or knowledge and the $208 I was quoted was on top of the $134 I had already paid. The fee was added to my bill without my knowledge by their employee.

The employee told me when I picked up the car that I would only be charged for the taxes since I had already paid the other part of the bill through Booking.com. I even called Dollar the day I picked up my car asking about the charges and the Dollar phone rep said that I would be reimbursed the amount showing on the receipt when I dropped the car off and that was just a holding fee like a deposit in case something happened to the car. The Dollar employee at the Charlotte airport obviously tried to trick me into signing for the loss damage waiver without my knowledge and therefore this was a fraudulent act by the company. Beware of this scam if you ever aren’t from Dollar.

Original review: April 13, 2019

None better than this company. The courteous service and the exceptional condition of the automobiles is incomparable. I will continue to use this company for all my car needs. I have told everyone I know that they should use this automobile company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: April 12, 2019

On the particular day I rented the vehicle near the LaGuardia airport there were only two counter personnel working and the wait time was 40 Mins. Other than that, the vehicle was perfect. I certainly will use this company again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had a camera strap get caught in the liftgate hatch. The back would not open. I called Dollar and they told me to call a Cherokee Dealer. I left 3 messages and never heard back. The other option was to return the SUV to the airport which was an hour away. Disappointed in the lack of help.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The car was fine. But the line at the service counter in Jacksonville airport was awful. Too few employees. Other rental companies seemed to move people quickly. (But I don't know what their charges would have been.)

Original review: April 9, 2019

I rented a car for 4 days and ended up paying almost $500. 3 days after I turn the car in I get a bill for $300 for cleaning, I supposedly smoked in the car. I did not smoke in the car, nobody smoked in the car, I dropped the car off at the airport, caught my flight and was charged $300 after the fact. I will never use them again. I feel robbed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was in line for over an hour Orlando Airport in February for my vehicle from Dollar Rent A Car. When I made the reservation over the phone, it was made for pick up at the wrong airport. I'm thankful for the e-mail, while in line I called back and change the airport. The first person I spoke with I feel didn't care. The second person I give 5*****. She was great. After that it was great.

Original review: March 30, 2019

The worst possible experience you can imagine, our lives were in danger with a car that had 3 bad tires, one with a repaired patch that fail on us and worst yet two front tires completely wore to the point where the tires wires were exposed, pictures attached. We found it after almost exit the road while going down a hill. For icing on the cake, I had to buy 3 new tires with my own money and time and had to keep and bring with me to the check out to be able to get a refund, no service or exchange of cars available. I submitted a complaint and did not received even a response at all.

Original review: March 27, 2019

In the middle of our 7 day road trip after traveling on a dirt road the low pressure light came on. We stopped and filled the tire with air and within 10 minutes the low pressure light came back on. We decided to find a motel so we could be safe and call for assistance. When I called the person assisting me gave me two options, one was for one of us to ride with the tow truck driver for two hours to pick up the car and drive it back (as they had no driver to bring us one) or we could wait until morning and call them back and they would arrange to have a car dropped off to us. As it was after six by now and we had been driving all day we decided to wait until the morning.

When I called in the morning nothing had been set up like I was told the day before and they had to get a manager's approval to drop off a car. After an hour and half and three phone calls still no approval. We then decided to take the two hour drive as we could both go. At this time no one could answer whether we could be reimbursed for the room. Once we got to the Raleigh/Durham airport the counter person told us we had to wait to the end of our trip to make any adjustments. We then asked to speak to the manager who offered us a free upgrade stating the other would have to wait to the end of our trip. When we got to the new car it was the same make, model and color of the car we just turned in so back in to see the manager and another car.

By this time we had wasted the night before and half the day and were two hours out of our way. At the end of our trip the Dollar at the Myrtle Beach Airport is independently owned and had no staff on so we were checked out by Budget and again they could not give us answers on any adjustments. Was told to call corporate. So the next morning I called corporate and the only offering for the aggravation was to take the $108 off the bill for the second driver. Not the best day of our road trip as we had to cancel the plans we had made and we lost a day.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I used Dollar Rent A Car's website to rent a car. My experience with Dollar Rent A Car was fine, until I returned the car one day early. It was at this point that I discovered that I booked through a third party, Cartrawler. In addition to my low Dollar Rent A Car fee, I had unknowingly incurred third party fees. While Dollar Rent A Car refunded my unused fees, Cartrawler did not. There is no disclaimer on their website to alert consumers about Cartrawler.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Paid the Hotwire $300 fee then they demanded another credit card at the desk. Turned the car in and was charged over $500 in services, insurance, extra driver, fees, more fees whatever they could make up! We were only told about the extra driver fee. Hotwire wouldn’t refund anything and Dollar claimed we agreed to all the other charges. Then had the nerve to send a bill for roll charged that we weren’t told anything about when we thought the sticker in the window took care of that. They are a rip off and shouldn't be in business!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I prepaid and received the voucher online. Upon return, my receipt did not acknowledge the prepay, and to make the experience worse, the TOLL charge was comprised of a FLAT RATE $12.50 per day whether you go thru a toll or not, PLUS a SERVICE FEE! The counter did not bother to tell me that little detail. So my total charge was 50% more than the web site tells you. Why doesn't the web site ask you these questions in advance!? If you use DOLLAR, factor in another 50% after you do your best to decline the additional "services". Very unhappy rental. Record #** (DOLLAR) -- I called both the website (BOOKING #**) and when I found out they were not the company, I called the company. Neither provided customer service beyond a smile in their voice as they acknowledged my experience.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We rented a car in Liberia, Costa Rica. We were overcharged 33% by adding a second driver we did not want, need or use, and by adding two child car seats we did not want, need or use. I tried to appeal the charges with Dollar's customer service and was told they could not help me out, that I would have to appeal from afar with the office in Costa Rica. Of course, the fraud perpetuated on me in Costa Rica was not overturned in Costa Rica, and, again, Dollar's head office refused to help. Don't ever rent internationally from Dollar, because if you have a problem, they will be of NO help with fraudulent charges. I will never use Dollar anywhere, again. I am done with Dollar!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Overall this was my first and last time booking with this company. Never in my life have I had a car I was afraid of making it to and from my destinations. ABS issues, wipers stopped working in a snowstorm. A total hazard to the road. On top of it all FEES!!! Additional fees that are NOT disclosed. Dollar rental are shams and next time I will pay extra as there are full disclosure with the other rental companies. You get what you pay for and next time I will rent a car from a company that maintains their cars so they are safe to drive.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The price of the actual car rental was reasonable, we took a trip to Tampa on the 30th of January, took an insurance as a precaution, and when we arrived the clerk was rude and slammed us with more insurance fees. We were also charged for tolls long after we came back to Canada. My wife and I, will never again deal with these people. The entire cost of this rental was literally half the price of our airline tickets. Not worth the money spent in this particular case. We do not recommend Dollar Car Rental to anyone.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Great customer service. Prices are reasonable (in my opinion) and a large fleet of vehicles to choose from. Staff was very informative and detailed orientated. I am a customer for life. I would definitely recommend DOLLAR Car rental if you're in the Newark Airport Area.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My mom prepaid for a "SPECIALTY" class car for her stay in Orlando. When we went to the front desk to speak to a representative, the most annoying 45 minutes of my life had begun. We said that we would like to get our specialty car and hit the road asap, and he tells us we will be getting a compact class car (most basic option, 150$ less than the specialty segment). We ask why and he goes, "Specialty option means you get a free upgrade if the compact is unavailable and if the next level is not you get one more upgrade and so on." So I said, "Specialty basically means compact then?" He reluctantly says yes admitting the false advertisement (the icon for the specialty was a question mark). Anyways we keep calm and agree to it.

He says we will have to pay for insurance which is more than the car's rental price. I say we take full responsibility and the guy FREAKS OUT! He literally said we will most likely to be involved in an accident in Florida and we are making a mistake. I say, "It's fine, IT'S MY LIFE, MY MONEY" but he was just so unhappy that he couldn't get us to buy the insurance. We take a paper and go down to get the car, no one at the front desk in the garage. We wait for 10 mins and a lady says, "Yeah. Just go down this row and get the car." I was stunned when she took 10 seconds to explain what we have to do and turned back to where ever she came from. This was such a bad idea to go with this company. If anyone is reading this, just please think twice. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am extremely pleased with the handling of my rental car at the Dollar Rent A Car desk at Miami International Airport. My desk attendant was Inram **, a very courteous and efficient employee who handled my particular situation with extreme professionalism and helpfulness. Due to the specific situation of my rental agreement, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Joaquin **, the desk manager on duty, and as well, I was extremely pleased with his knowledge and professionalism in the handling of my agreement. Five Stars for these two employees. I rent cars frequently and noticed the difference between renting with Dollar Rent A Car and other rental car companies at Miami International Airport. I also like to rent a specific car size and later having the ability to personally select the specific car I want from a lot of rental cars available.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I prepaid a car for my wife for her trip to Florida. When she got to Florida, she went the Dollar rental place to get the car. The rental service employee said she could not get the rental car due to not having a two forms of ID. She had her license and her debit card as well as cash for a deposit, but was still not able to get the car. I called the Dollar service and the lady who spoke with me said I could not get a refund. I asked to speak to the supervisor and was denied. Believe it or not they (Dollar) are willing to lose a customer for life over $38.64. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

In December of 2018 I rented a Dollar rental car at the Denver international airport facility. While the car was fine my experience with their billing department was awful! While in Denver not being knowledgeable with how the toll roads worked, I inadvertently had 4 toll violation for a total of 16 dollars. When I receive my bill for these toll violations Dollar had marked them up a whopping 333%. When I appealed the markup, I got an E-mail basically saying they could give me a whopping 16 dollar price break. Before I could even accept this offer, they billed my credit card for the full 333% markup.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I rented a car from Dollar for 5 days from Raleigh airport. I was told by the agent that there would be a $15 admin fee for each day I used tolls. I amassed $11.42 in tolls during the trip to and returning to the airport. I was sent two separate letters: one stating that I owed $45 in admin fees and a second stating that I owed $90 in admin fees for a total of $135 in admin fees. The letter also stated that if I didn't pay the fees they would be sent to a collection agency. Last week I rented a car in Orlando from Alamo. They charged $3.95 per usage day for toll admin fees. Why the big difference? I suggest my fellow renters skip Dollar and go with a company that doesn't rip their customers off. I truly hope Dollar goes bankrupt and the people responsible for this policy get what they deserve.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The Rental was at was to pick up the car at 5 pm. I called Dollar around 3 pm to pick it up earlier. I was told that I could not do that, and I had to be there at 5 pm. I arrived to pick up the car at 4:40 pm. There was no one at the reception. I was really upset because they are supposed to be open until 5 pm. While my wife waited at the counter, I did the line to the hotel front desk while calling Dollar. The hotel told me that they have nothing to do with Dollar and they didn't know why the person was not at the Dollar desk. I have on the phone near an hour while waiting at the desk in case the Rental Agent came back to their desk. It never did.

It is completely unacceptable that I prepaid $174.69 for my reservation, got there on time, even 20 minutes before my rental and Dollar did nothing to get the Rental Car. Just a phone number and an email to "maybe" get a refund. The lack of trust, professionalism, the seriousness of this company. I've never expected to be treated this way by a Company in the US. I am not as upset as I am disappointed by this company. I feel this is an embarrassment of the Rental Car Business and living in Florida. I feel embarrassed to feel that this company most likely treating other customers the same way and putting shame on people that come here. This company is not just hurting their business, but also the whole Tourism industry. Thus, hurting Floridians business.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We were a group of 9 friends traveling to Key West via Miami International Airport and decided to rent a 12-passenger vehicle to take the scenic drive down. Dollar Rental was the only rental company to have a 12-passenger vehicle available at this time. So, we went ahead and booked. We waited 45 mins before we could get the vehicle, only after checking in several times with the representative who assured us they were “getting the vehicle ready” and offered us bottles of water while we waited.

Upon receiving the van, it smelled of strong disinfectant (not household, but could have been insecticide in hindsight). We aired it out but thought nothing more of it and went on our journey. 25 mins into our ride my friend felt something crawling on her arm, brushed it off, but didn’t see what it was. We stopped shortly after for food and once we turned on the van light, much to our horror, there were numerous small bugs scampering all over our belongings, the seats, and on the floor. The bugs were roaches!!! We were SO GROSSED out!! We immediately vacated the van of all our belongings and attempted to get a hold of a representative at Dollar Rental for assistance but there was no answer on any of the numbers on the pamphlet. Even the 24 hr emergency roadside assistance DID NOT answer. Are you kidding me?!

We were beyond angry, absolutely disgusted, and quite frankly stranded in a parking lot in an unknown neighborhood in Miami. Eventually, after waiting nearly 35 mins on hold we spoke to a representative who advised us that our best options were to return the vehicle to the airport so that we would not incur “vehicle neglect” charges, or wait close to ~2 hrs for a replacement vehicle. Having absolutely no trust in Dollar Rental at this point and being almost 2 hours off schedule, we decided to purchase roach spray and garbage bags at the local CVS. We bagged all of our belongings, sprayed the van’s interior before getting back into it and drove to the airport to speak with someone in person.

When we arrived at rental center, we demanded to speak to a manager or someone who had the capability of giving us all of our money back for this despicable rental experience! The manager told us that we couldn’t get 100% our money back as we had driven off the lot already and would now be charged 1 day's worth of fees, tolls, and gas. We had left the lot 2 hrs and much of this time being stranded due to this roach infestation. We had video evidence of the roaches in the van and showed it to her. She looked unfazed by it, almost like she knew the van had roaches and rented it anyway! She apologized, and said she would be doing the same thing we are doing right now to get our money back, but was still unable to give us all of our money back.

We insisted on speaking with someone higher, and threatened to call the corporate office because this was absolutely ridiculous!! One way or the other we were going to get 100% of our money back. A few minutes later she came back to us and now said she would give us ALL of the money back. Thankfully we did, and left to get another rental from different company. Dollar Rental will NOT get any of our business in the future. Their lack of concern, especially their lack of responsiveness on the 24 hr emergency roadside assistance phone line (or any of their phone numbers) showed us they are COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE and UNTRUSTWORTHY!! I hope this review would steer you clear of this company if you have any expectations of getting dependable service and a decent vehicle. STAY FAR AWAY!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The worse mistake was to rent a car from DOLLAR. I booked a vacation package from Spirit. Well I get to the airport exhausted from traveling, then they tell me, "You rented the smallest car, a car seat will not fit in the back. The only option is for you to upgrade and it's 80$ fee ok and also $50 for the prepaid tolls." Ok fine whatever. At this point I needed a bigger car! Well now I go and get the car. All of them smell horrible and none were clean. At this point there is nothing I could do. Just pick one. Now to return to the car they charge me $130 dollars extra for FEES that I never knew about.

I Called customer Service and they told me, "Our system is down and is going really slow, would you like to hold or call back." No. I am waiting because I need to get an answer! Well NO answer. I have to pay extra! After I paid $450 for a rental for a week, now I am paying $700 for a week. WHAT! 100$ per day. That is insane. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN! They are the worse and they are sneaky with all the FEES that they charge.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

DOLLAR RIPPED ME OFF FOR $878. Rented standard SUV from SLC airport location for the weekend. I did take the vehicle to the beach and so the vehicle was returned dusty. Dollar charged my card $300 for cleaning. Then a few weeks later received a call from a collection agency claiming I had damaged the exterior of the vehicle and was responsible for the $578 in repairs. Absolutely did not incur the damage while I had the vehicle - and since when do they charge $300 for general cleaning. WILL NEVER RENT FROM DOLLAR AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

When I picked the car up I was given an option to either pay $12.00 for electronic tolls or they said I would be billed separately after toll charges came back. I rented for 7 days so they would have charged me $84.00 for tolls. In that week I went through 6 tolls, charge $21.50. But I wasn't just charged the $21.50. They also charge you a $15.00 processing charge per toll, for another $90.00. It may be legal, but Dollar rental is as unethical as they come. They are pathetic/criminal!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Paid up £500 up front in UK to rent a Dollar car for our family holiday xmas 2019. On landing in Orlando, Dollar rep wanted credit card print to cover tolls. Then offered me a sat nav for free. Walked off, came back 2 mins later and said the charging lead was missing from the kit, but I could have latest GPS tablet instead for free. Asked me to sign for the GPS. On returning car, got an email bill for the tolls (happy to pay) plus £350 before tax for GPS hire. Rep refused to speak to me about the charge and said I had to wait 24 hours as it will all balance and credit back to card would be sorted.

On landing in UK, email from Dollar confirming charges. Challenged by email. Two days later email from Dollar HQ saying I had signed agreeing to the GPS hire as charged. Explained again the situation. Dollar thanked me for allowing them to review the situation, the charges stand and they hope to be able to be of service again in future. No response to my question regarding honesty and integrity of Dollar staff at Orlando. Now out of pocket due to their lies and deceit.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information