3.6/5 (511 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

FIND ANY OTHER RENTAL CAR COMPANY‼️ I was unfortunate enough to have booked DOLLAR RENT A CAR for my trip house hunting in Sarasota, Florida. I should’ve canceled the reservation and gone with another company as soon as I got to their rental counter in TAMPA international airport. First woman at counter was very rude right from the start. Then when I gave her my PayPal master card for deposit I was informed that they didn’t take PayPal Mastercard. It says nothing to that effect on their site, I can now see why they don’t‼️ Would give you an extra recourse option.

After hour of her nasty attitude someone else came to counter. She was actually pretty nice but I still had to use my debit for $500 deposit! When I brought car back no one inspected it or even gave it a glance. Checked bank $500 fell off but then a charge for $400 showed up‼️ Said it was smoking fee of some sort! I haven’t smoked since I got Covid few months ago! I have a feeling this is standard procedure for this substandard company. They actually contacted after I submitted a very unsatisfactory survey. Said they would remove the charge. That was a week and several emails ago‼️

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Although we and the 10 people in front of us had reservations, they had no cars, leaving us stranded at the airport at nearly midnight. Our holiday was on the brink of being ruined because we were visiting a place with no public transport or taxis. Desk staff gave no explanation, no apology, no solution. Just a "we have no cars and it's not my fault". After going around in circles for ages, we learned from the staff on the lot that there was one 12 passenger shuttle van available. Not what we wanted, but we had no choice.

They informed us the fuel package was 'same price' as fill the tank option. This was a straight out lie. This is only if you use the full tank. We could never use a full tank of a van that size and returned it with half a tank of gas left. They insisted that because I signed a contract they would not reimburse me for the half tank of gas. They have unapologetic, unhelpful staff and were quite happy stranding dozens of people at the airport. And happy stealing half a tank of gas from their unsatisfied customers, just to throw salt in the wound! Will never use them or their other companies, Hertz or Thrifty. Shameful money grab.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

My rental experience with Dollar was fine. I felt they offered a reasonably priced rental and the service we received throughout the rental experience in Burlington, Vermont was pleasant. My issue is with the $15.00 unpaid toll violation notice I just received. We passed through 3 tolls, totally unaware we had not opted into the pre-paid toll service. (As I thought back, I'm not sure we were even offered it). For a .75 cent toll, I must now pay Dollar an additional $15.00 in "admin" fees. No one at Dollar can explain why their admin fees are so high. This is corporate greed on full display. They told me I have to talk to their 3rd party DollarRentalFine.com re: admin costs. But DollarRentalFine told me I have to speak to Dollar corporate. And, as expected, you can't actually reach anyone by phone. Terrible experience! I will never rent from them again. I would rather pay more for a rental.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I first went online to looks at rates. It said pay now for lower cost. So I did. Flew in O'Hare in Chicago. There were two people working the counter and the line was VERY long. Customer service guys were all rushing through everyone, talking super fast about all this extra garbage that people can get. Me, I just want to rent a car. So it was my turn, I could barely understand the guy as he went through everything so fast. I told him, "I'm just going from A to B and want to rent a car. Not interested in everything else." I got my agreement and went to get my car.

When I got back from Chicago to my home state, I looked at my credit card statement and saw I had the online charge and then another charge. I called customer service and it was the worse experience I ever had. I could barely understand the woman and at the same time, there were people in the background shouting between themselves and it never stopped. She told me I agreed to all this extra stuff they put on my car, a toll thing, close to $150 worth of insurance, etc. I told her NO WAY would I do that. I was beyond ticked off. I will NEVER rent from these people again and in fact, if this is how all rental agencies are these days, I'll drive the next time.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

As we arrived at the check-out site where we do all the dealing of paperwork before picking up our rental car, right away we noticed the lengthy wait as well as the line that was forming behind us. We approached the representative who called us to assist us with our reservation. As we confirmed our reservation with the representative, I can still remember the number of questions she had asked regarding any additional services we may have wanted to add. The first question she asked; would you like to add a toll coverage to your reservation? She further explained why (I state: in her opinion) she thought we should have added it, then she proceeded by asking us, if we would like to pre-pay for gasoline. My husband agreed to proceed with the process, and I had several exchanges with him because I had disagreed.

This is beside the point (the disagreement) - Through the entire process (from moment we were called to check-out for our rental to the time we got our vehicle) I expected it to all be completed in a timely manner. Here is where it gets real: we decided to split the payments between two cards (a credit card/debit card from two separate entities) to pay for the car deposit, (Dollar Car Rental claimed they needed to collect) and the fees for the insurance we added to the rental. What a mistake that was not knowing what the outcome was going to be.

I spent a couple of days dealing with both the bank & merchant on the phone and getting nowhere. I had even opened a dispute per the recommendation of the bank representative. The days I spent wasting my breath and time; was consistently a back & forth engagement between the bank representative, the few Dollar Rental agents that we dealt with and, I, and still no resolution. The bank representative claimed that the "fall off" documentation hadn't been received by them. They are waiting on the merchant to release the funds.

Meanwhile (let me remind you that on two different days (I was on the phone on a three-way call with both bank and the agents from Dollar - who happens to be the merchant that I am making the complaint against). They are still holding my funds but yet again I am not sure if it is they who are at fault here. Nowadays you really do not know who to trust because somewhere along the lines someone is not doing their job to the best of their ability, and furthermore, I may be at a total loss here for the stupid decision I had made of splitting all rental costs between two cards. I WOULD ADVISE YOU - NEVER RENT THROUGH THIS MERCHANT. Last note: do not forget you were warned beforehand. It is not worth trying to save a few bucks to be completely dissatisfied.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Upon arrival after two flights, and little sleep the prior night, we arrive to check-in with 12 customers in front of us and 18 more behind us only to discover 3 customer service agents attending to 2 car rental agencies during peak hours. My reservation in-hand was arranged months prior, yet the agent quickly offered upgrades implying that it is less expensive to the reservation showing a picture of a subcompact similar to a smart car. Insurance was automatically added and refueling by Dollar was described as the same price as at the regular pump.

The conversation with a jet-lagged customer was exacerbated by a language barrier with an agent using English as a second language. Upon reflection, I felt this behavior to be opportunistic, if not predatory, to a travel-weary customer with many "patient" customers waiting behind, escalating an anticipated fee of $270 to $770 for a 4 day rental. Congratulations to your agent and your agency for an impressive demonstration of greed. I neither expect or anticipate a response or explanation for my experience, nor do I expect someone to "do the right thing." I honestly have no interest in any further interaction with Dollar.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

After being charged for a one way drop off (as expected) I am somewhat disappointed Dollar Rent-a-car thought it was reasonable to charge me an additional $95 dollars for what they recorded as 23 mins late. After dropping off the car at LAX airport in a long line of other cars with nobody about to acknowledge the return I just receive an automatic invoice/receipt showing the additional charge of £95 (day charge) for 23mins late?? I get a survey questionnaire quickly afterwards and complain about the charge for an operations manager to email asking if he can help to then ignore the next three emails!! What is Dollar's customer service policy 'ignore any email you don't want to read?'

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

We booked online over 1 month prior. We got there a little before midnight, told they didn't have a car for us and we were suppose to pick it up at noon. My paperwork had no time specified as I did not put times in reservation due to uncertainty. We were sent away with no car and at midnight after flying across the US and a long day spent. No solution to the problem offered and when asked why they didn't at least contact us when car wasn't picked up at noon before the (cancelled us out) rep said, "We have people cancel all the time. We can't call you," so I said, "If so many people cancel why don't you have any cars???" Enterprise rep at least told us we may be able to rent the next day at their in town location. We were lucky and Enterprise made sure they had a car ready for us the next day at a decent price. This was at the Eugene OR location.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Arrived to Orlando, FL airport (MCO) 7/21/22 and we waiting with 30 other families for our rental car. We reserve a month prior and paid in full at the time of reservation. They didn’t have any cars for all the reservations. They do not keep track of inventory and over sell their cars. We waited and slept in the airport for over 5.5 hours. Families with infants were also also sleeping on the floor. Dollar wouldn’t credit or reimburse anyone. And if you booked through a 3rd party site (Priceline, Hotwire, etc.) no refund available. We were at their mercy and our entire vacation was thrown off because of this company.

One gentleman commented he had a funeral 2 hours away and would be late for, It was just really disappointing and extremely unprofessional. I can’t believe this Company is still in business. They’re affiliated with Hertz and Alamo. Spend the extra $20.00 and go with a legit company. I travel a lot and will stick with Sixt or Enterprise from here on out. NOTHING is guaranteed with Dollar. The reviews on this company are 100% legit.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Sam from Dollar rent a car is the worst employee while Hanging up the phone when you have questions. He is impatient and gives the company a bad reputation. I had the second experience about 2 weeks ago. The person is extremely rotten to deal with! I’m going to seek another rental place in the future!

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information