Dollar Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Booked a car rental thru them for Dollar Rental. Prepaid online $101.00, when I went to pick up car, was told there was no booking even though I had the email showing. I had to rent a car at the counter was charged $280.00. Was told to contact CarTrawler for reimbursement. I have called them 10 times, over 5 hours on the phone being passed from one person to another only to be given a case number which you can only email to the company and not call them. It has been a month and still no response from them. Between Cartrawler and Dollar Rental, they are ripping people off. They have no problem taking your money but when they screw up, they delay giving it back.

I rented a car from Dollar Rental company at Century Boulevard near Los Angeles Airport on Sunday 9/10/17 by 4 pm. I made the reservation via Priceline website and my reservation stated on their website that I am reserved to have Nissan Altima or similar which is considered as a full size sedan in the rental company.

Upon my arrival at their office to pick up the car, the representative told me that I reserved a compact car not full size car, with his statements I suspected some false and deceitful information given to their customers. I even told the representative that my reservation showed that I am renting a full size vehicle for $138 per week (Sun-Sat). The representative later told me he will upgrade me to the full size car for free base on the same internet rate that I chose. He also told me that the insurance for the full size car is $17 per day, even after I told him that I do not need insurance since my credit card covers insurance for any rental car that I am using.

At this point, I asked the representative another question, "What if I decide to return the car few days before the due date, will they reduce my charge?" He answered YES because they will only charge me for the days I used their car and my total bill will reduce from $243 to the number of days I used the car. I used their car for three days and decided to return it because I was not satisfied with the car, I was billed $383.00 on my credit card after 3 days. I returned their car and when I asked why such a fraudulent charge on my card if I only used the car for three days, they told me that it is because the car was returned earlier therefore the rate I was billed before $243 is not going to apply.

I explained to the representative that their representative gave me a false information and they should return my money to my credit card. Please people should stay away from Dollar/Thrifty Rental car because they are deceitful and fraudulent and they are only after how to milk people's money on their credit card once you drive their car off their lot.

Rented a vehicle in Dallas Texas this summer. Landed in two tolls accidentally totaling $2 combined. Dollar charged me a "service fee" $30 ($15 for each toll). When asked if I could pay the toll company directly I was told NO. This is how they punish unsuspecting drivers who are not familiar with an area such as Dallas, TX that has tolls everywhere. I would have gladly paid my $2 toll but to add on an extra $30 is wrong. I will never rent from them again!!!

Rented a car drove 47 miles. They were rude when I pulled in to drop off the car. Then when my bill came they charged me for 5.7 gallons of gas. When I complained they said I must have used 5.7 gallons and I said I only drove 47 miles (maybe used 1.5 gallons) then they accused me of siphoning out the gas. Thieves!!! They are thieves - never rent from them. They are unethical.

I rented a car from Dollar Car Rental for 150 which was prepaid. When my flight was cancelled due to hurricane Irma and couldn't get a flight out for 5 more day, they wanted to charge 422 for the same car and the same amount of days. I am 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from the airport. I had to find someone to follow me to the airport and bring me back. Also will have to have someone take me back to the airport for my flight. Not very sensitive to the situation. Wasn't my fault, was a major disaster that happened. Also would charge me 800 to drop off a closer location. The first man I spoke with hung up on me when I told him that he wasn't being very helpful in a time of emergency. I think this is a poor way to run a business. I will NEVER use Dollar car rental again, nor will any of my friends or family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

Rented a car from Dollar over the Labor Day weekend. Final charges ended up being $87 more than original. Insurance charges that I specifically did not want. Won't be renting from them again.

Although I have no complaint about Dollar vehicle my dealing with their employees has convinced me that their policy is to fraudulently sign you up for additional services you do not need or want and then provide no recourse of fixing the problem, while lying and prevaricating in the process. I have made a third party reservation via for their vehicle for 8 days to take my family on vacation from Las Vegas to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite National Park. My estimated rate was about $200 and I expected to pay about $300 with an addition of all the taxes and service charges. I ended up paying $670 and this is how it had happened.

While being processed in Las Vegas by a very polite employee I was asked what seemed to be an innocent question: Do you want a basic or comprehensive insurance? Since no other option was presented to me and assuming that basic means just liability insurance I have verbally selected the basic one. Then I was asked to sign an empty electronic form and was handed over a package which I, being a trusting individual, didn't even review at the spot. Several hours later I have opened the package and was astonished to realize that I apparently agreed to pay for $26.88 per day of Loss damage waiver which I didn't want and $8.99 per day of Premium Road Service which I didn't need since I have this service from other providers.

Since it was already too late I have called them the next morning. They told me that I was to go to one of their corporate offices to resolve the dispute. When I had complained that I had different vacation plans they told me that I would be able to resolve my dispute when returning a car in San Francisco. However my attempt to do so in both San Francisco car return facility and by calling their customer service later on were rebuffed with the statements that since I have signed the contract I have no recourse. They refused to provide me with any compensation and practically didn't care of what I thought about their obviously fraudulent conduct. Bottom line is never to trust any Dollar Rent a Car employee. I do not know what their official claim is but they are not there to help you. Rather their goal is to rely on your trust to defraud you from as much money as possible. I will never deal with them again and will not recommend anybody to do so.

I rented a vehicle with Dollar for a family vacation. All started good. At check in for Dollar the guy was friendly until he kept trying to get me to upgrade to a bigger car, I repeatedly said no. We finally got our car. Perfect size, clean, a few scuffs and dents, but a good size car. We went about our vacation perfectly fine. No problems, complied with all rules of the road and paid all toll charges upfront. Anyhow when returning the car at the end of our vacation the lady representing Dollar scanned the car with a handheld device and said everything is fine, no outstanding fees or fines and she moved on. Now 3 weeks later I receive a letter in the post from ATS with a notice of a fine and of course the profitable admin fee for a $1 toll I apparently didn't pay, which I did. They told me If I don't respond they will automatically charge me, considering I received the letter on the day they charged me.

What made me contact them to detest this is the fact the tolls were paid and that they have not provided me with photographic evidence of the vehicle passing the tolls without paying. They must have some kind of evidence to support their case. So I look forward to hear from them to find out what rubbish they try to pile me off with. Also why did the rental lady tell me there was no fines, bunch of scam liars. I will never use Dollar again and will definitely not recommend them.

We went to Dollar car rental at the Seattle (Sea-Tac) airport. The man first told me it would be 1800 for 8 days. I said no way was I going to pay 81.25 dollars a day for a Camry. He then said he could rent me a Subaru for 14.95 per day. I told him that was fine. I left and my husband took over since he would be driving. Noticed he had given us a Camry instead of Subaru but not much else. When we returned the car 15 mins late our total was 1,793.99. Not only did he charge us the 81.25 per day but they gave us full coverage insurance when I had said no to the tune of 442.80. All the other taxes and such totaled 1,456.25. If that wasn't enough they charged 1,747.50 to my credit card because I was 15 minutes late. The lady I had called to say we were going to be late said just 20.00 would be charged. UGH!!!!

Dollar Car Rental San Antonio Airport Location and Customer Serv - In June I started training for a new job. I had been out of work 3 months so my income was limited. I rented a car from Dollar. Prepaid for the car on what I later found out was Carhire although I was on Dollar site. My CC was billed 127.18, when I arrived at the counter I informed the agent I had prepaid for the car. She asked for my car. Processed the whole thing and then said my card was declined. I asked how can it be declined if I already paid for it. She said I needed to have an additional 350.00 over the rental available on my card to rent the car and since I didn't have that amount on my card I had to use my debit card to hold the car. I was charged 256.73 for that rental on 06/04-06/11.

That following week I had to run to San Antonio so I called the 800 customer service number and no one knew could locate that policy stated. The agent may have misunderstood. Someone would get back to me. I returned to the same location on 06/11 and this time I was told the same story regarding the 350.00. I was charged a whopping 418.05 on my debit card and 107.03 by Carhire for a 6 day rental of a compact car. I was quoted a 247.05 which is still too much. When I called to complain I was offered 75 back. The third rental cost me 06/25-06/30 279.29. Each time I requested a compact car as it was the cheapest and the rental was from Sunday-Friday with car returned no later than 3 or 4pm. I'm filling a complaint every I can so no one is over charged like this again. They owe me almost 800.00. I have receipts for all of my transactions.

I will say one positive thing about one of their other locations in McAllen Texas. I rented from that site the first week of August. I requested a compact car. Explained I didn't want additional coverage again. I requested a compact car from Sunday to Friday and my total was only 191.08. What a difference in prices right. If anyone can help me I would truly appreciate it, as the wife of a disabled veteran I need every penny I earn.

I had used United Miles for my rental car reservation with Dollar Rent A Car for a trip in Las Vegas. When I was bringing up my reservation, the attendant informed me that the charges on my rental record would not actually be charged to me, but it was their own way of tracking the purchase. I was unaware of how the rental car reservation would work when using my miles so I believed everything he was telling me. However, it was all a lie. He put them as additional charges for an additional insurance that I was not agreeing to, but my signature says that I did. Also, I was told to sign on a little screen without actually seeing what I was signing for... I feel so naive and taken advantage of and I have tried contacting the company multiple times to discuss this scam and to be reimbursed for this unwarranted charge. As a result of this scam, I have lost over $1,000! It has caused extreme hardship and distrust.

Online shows rental for 25.00 a day but never mentioned tax took it higher than other companies. Don't get your rental from an airport. Get a cab, Uber or Lyft to take you away from the airport. You will save tons of money. You also don't have to buy coverage. Collision coverage on your policy will cover an accident, but if you use a credit card some will pay your deductible except for admin, loss of use and depreciation. Your insurance company will more than likely not pay those charges. Do your research.

Dollar the worst customer experience and over charged for car rental, my confirmed rental was 308, at counter they charged me 367, bank extra 422, I'm upset calling lawyer right now. Then the car is no good.

Dollar Rent a Car has been my worst experience renting a car in years. Price online was about $540. Finished paying over $800. I explicitly asked the employee at the airport that we did not want any ADDTIONAL costs (no DWL, no Pass Plate, etc), to which he sarcastically replied if I needed the car. After returning the car discovered an "Additional LIS cost" for $269 on the bill. These dishonest tactics explain why Dollar has more than 1,500 complaints here. Customer service is useless after that. I will certainly never use Dollar again.

I pre-reserved online and they clearly outlined my price. Upon arrival, they told me they had "no more vehicles of that type," and that they could upgrade me for somewhere around $30 more/day. Frustrated but not overly upset, I agreed. Turns out, that "upgrade" included over $150 in additional fees that were never made known to me, a ridiculous surcharge fee, and ADDITIONAL fee for being under $25 (despite that fee already being added once in my reservation), a license fee, and an additional fee for "parking the car across the street" where they specifically told me to - They didn't mention they share it with another company and expect me to pay for that too.

Not to mention the lady talked faster than an auctioneer and dragged on forever. I was quite confident I had made out everything she said. Point being, these people will rob you. They'll get you fixed on a price, scam you out of more, and show you exactly how they legally justified it. Pathetic.

To my observation and my in person experience with the characters and roles that are being played with this Dollar Rental Cars scam; located at 201 N Collins Street Arlington Texas. The process of this particular SCAM that was practiced on me came in stages starting with ** & ** (tries to give you much higher prices to see if you are slipping) and I happen to catch it every single multiple time they tried it with me. Then ** starts the false accusing of wanting to drive those unsuitable cars for free; and I hadn't missed a payment. Then I went to make a payment one of these afternoons during this process and the mental mind brainwashing technique starts. Then they try to convince you that you missed a payment knowing that they are bold faced liars. They are very bold with this technique and when they see that I wasn't falling for it they will drop the subject for a few days and then come at you again.

They get bolder by telling you that you agreed to something like as was said to me (quote unquote) ** said to me "Oh you don't remember telling me that I could take a hundred dollars off your deposit" then called me and asked me if she could charge my card and I told her "NO for what I don't owe you and when my payment is due I will bring a money order" which I did; quote- and I told her "Now you know we have never had that conversation ever. You are lying..." She leaves the office and then ** takes up the SCAM. At this point I knew that this was a real problem. I also observed the level of comfort that these actors had in this vicious SCAM so common sense tells me that this is something that they do on a regular basis.

So after those criminals kept on with their foolish brainwashing tactics I was really wanting out of this rental car scam and I was already sure that I would have difficulty getting any of my deposit back or any of the multiple times I was aware of overpayment. ** clearly stated that it would go back into my account but he was just lying. ** was never intending on refunding my deposit. Then the grand finale which came I had a flat and their roadside service said it would be at least an hour before they could get out to put the spare tire on the vehicle which had been wrecked, the bumper fell off. It had multiple problems of scrapping so I had requested another car for several days and never got it 'till 4 weeks later after the flat.

So on Saturday I returned the Kia but before I went up to Dollar Rental Car I called, talked with ** and asked him how much do I need to make the money order for, he said "Oh don't worry about that." He just wanted me to come up there. He had something to show me and when I arrived he had a calendar with the payments I had given him by money order and what they had collected from my checking account which turned out that I DID NOT owe Dollar Rental Car nothing but for the days that I was about to extend. I had every one of my receipts and current bank statements. At this point I had been knowing that I wouldn't ever do any sort of business with this company again.

However I was still in need of a car. I went ahead and switched cars to a Focus. In the time I drove off the lot the car started making all kinds of sounds and noises, wobbling from the right front tire. The car jerked as if it were a cartoon; I immediately called the Dollar Rental Car and of course they did not answer at about 1:50 p.m. They close at 2:00 p.m. So by the time I made it through the traffic they were clearly gone. But for the record I had agreed to place $119.19 in the night drop since he would not accept cash which I had dropped most all the payments in that night dropped. One day they triggered the alarm off claiming that they didn't get the money order but finally called me back to say they found it. Another tactic another oppressing delay. So the Focus never got any better. I was too afraid to get on the freeway in that Focus. It was not safe. Then the lights would flash.

The car wouldn't start from time to time so at that point I realized that these heathen criminals knew that Focus was too unsafe to drive although they let me drive off in it. They new the car would never make it back up there to drop the payment off before 7:30 a.m. on the following Monday morning. I am under the impression that they programmed the car and they clearly stated they could shut those cars down from the office. Correction ** stated they could shut the car down from office. The service from this company is a disgrace and I was honored to let them know what a sickening disgrace they are to try and SCAM people out of extra money. The worst thing is they have persuaded themselves that they are in the right; totally deceptive abusive weak mind controlling technique compulsive liars and their greed is totally controlling them. This has been such a sad experience.

My heart goes out to those who has experienced this type of abuse and was led to believe such fabrications from this company. There is more... Etc. I am also looking to form some type of sting. They need to be stopped before they cause disasters in our cities. This is intolerable and this type of behavior makes our cities more unsafe to live. They literally could do this to the wrong person. Law enforcement need to step up to the plate!!! RATINGS -100% The original queen of Generation X has spoken.

I pre-paid for a car rental online. Unbeknownst to me a third party 'CarTrawler' actually made the transaction. When I went to airport to rent a car, Dollar wouldn't rent a car to me. I had all the necessary docs too. Now Cartrawler won't refund the money, and doesn't respond to email either. Dollar and Cartrawler are crooks. I warn anybody not to pre-pay with them.

I want to report a serious complaint. On the 10th of July we arrived at Miami Airport. We were thrilled for the vacation we waited for years. I saved about 3 years to be able to afford this vacation, and when I saw you were offering a car for that price I was very excited. We arrived and were asked to go to the third floor of the Miami airport to go and get our car. I was glad to see the Dollar stand whom I rented and paid a car from back in January!! After waiting for a while I had a dark haired man at the counter. I gave him all the forms I had, and he said with a raised voice, “JUST GIVE ME THE FORMS I ASK FOR, THIS IS NO JUNK YARD.” I laughed, because I thought he was telling a joke but he was not. He filled out every paper, and then he asked me for my credit card. “THIS ONE IS DECLINED” he shouted, “GIVE ANOTHER ONE.” I told him I don't have another one. “THEN I CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU” HE TOLD.

I told him that there was nothing wrong with the card. I proved him by pulling money from an ATM counter standing next to him. He shouted, “NOT MY PROBLEM, I AM NO BANK.” The other people that were around told us that we didn't have to accept this behaviour of that man. I asked him if he could call the Visa Company or at least give me the phone number to call. He told me, “I am not the yellow pages, go away. You are not in Belgium, you are in America.” He shouted, “I'm Moroccan and I have to obey USA rules, you are racist,” he said. He assumed all Belgians are racists and could not help me out. I finally went on an internet site and called Visa.

They told me NOTHING was wrong with my card and asked the DOLLAR employee on the phone but he refused. I did not get my car and had to go to another company to rent a car. This cost me 2150 dollars!!! to rent a car with Sixt, with the Visa card that was "declined" at Dollar Rent A Car. 2150 dollars I need to spend on my vacation. If I can't be helped I will contact Visa again as they asked me. I was left at Miami airport with 3 crying children, a wife that was nearly crying, an employee who shouted like I was going to kill him and no car I paid for. I'm here in Florida till 30th of July with a 2150 dollars less budget because I had to rent another car. Please advise what to do.

So before going to Florida and renting a car I did the research and realized I'd need to purchase a Sunpass sticker at a local Walgreens and register my payment info online with the details of the rental vehicle so I wouldn't be charged a 15.00 administrative fee for each toll. The Sunpass is billed as a transponder that works with all Florida tolls. In the Orlando vicinity, there's another toll company called E-pass. Sunpass is supposed to work in an E-Pass toll. But if the car is already registered by the rental car company as a pay by plate E-pass car, then that supersedes Sunpass. And guess what - Dollar registers all their cars as pay by plate E-pass. Therefore even if you have a Sunpass transponder it doesn't matter. They're going to charge you the toll plus 15.00. I thought I had planned the tolls carefully; but you can't always anticipate a well-organized scam.

I was quite surprised when I received my 16.00 bill. When I called E-pass, a very friendly customer service agent simply laughed and confirmed the scam. E-pass is essentially colluding with Dollar in their hoodwinking of customers. The E-pass agent explained that if I go to Florida again, I have to ask the Dollar agent to take the car off pay by plate before installing my own Sunpass sticker. Lesson learned - never rent from Dollar again! Oh - and they didn't have the vehicle I reserved either and had no remorse in shoving a family of four into a compact car. Nice company - may all its corporate suits be scammed similarly one day - karma!

$15 admin fee every time you use the electronic toll payer plus the toll. $311 for daily charges for 2nd driver for 8 days. Neither was told to us nor do I see it in the contract. I assume I must of signed off on the extra driver fee without seeing the charges. Dollar is one of those that charges extra for 2nd driver and I had always used Budget before who do not charge extra. Dollar advertises low fees and then gets you when you rent from them. Anyway I am out $350 total for charges I did not expect nor told about at the counter. Totally unethical company!

Picture this, I was in Yellowstone National Park at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone (Artists Point) a beautiful location on a family vacation which had been in planning for over 2 years. A man in the parking lot says to me, "Hey buddy your tire is going flat." He was correct. I open the trunk of the rental car and guess what? No spare tire! I immediately call Dollar Roadside Assistance who tell me to try the inflatable cigarette lighter driven pump provided with the car. I do but the tire is punctured and I tell Dollar Roadside Assistance this fact. They make a call or two and then call me back and say, well Mr. ** we cannot get a tow company to come into Yellowstone National Park so you are on your own. Can you believe it? I call 911 and the Park Service sends a tow truck to the location. Thank God, I had service to this location in YNP.

The driver of the tow truck looks the tire over and tells me that the tire is not patchable due to the extended mileage and excessive tread wear on the tire. So, I must be towed to West Yellowstone, MT to purchase a new tire. It is now 9 p.m., myself and family are exhausted, so I take the tow. The tow from the YNP to West Yellowstone costs $337.50. At this point, the car still has the same flat tire and cannot be driven.

The next morning, I begin to work with Dollar Customer Service who simply acts as a liaison between myself and the branch manager of the Bozeman, MT rental location. They are no help and are uncooperative. I call four different garages in the small town of West Yellowstone and none of the garages have a tire in stock to fit the odd ball tire on the rental car. It is interesting to note that the car has two different brands of tires on it, none of which have good tread.

At this point, I have a rental car with a flat tire which has no spare and cannot be patched due to tread wear which is so severe that it cannot be patched and then run safely (note: this is not due to location of the puncture but the low level of tread on the tire). Now, I must have the car towed from West Yellowstone to Bozeman, MT to exchange the car. I contact a tow company and make all the arrangements myself because Dollar simply washed their hands of the situation. Tow number two costs another $425.00 bringing the total tow charges to $762.50.

I get the car back to Bozeman for exchange which is handled very poorly. First, the girl at the counter asks me if I filled the tank back up on the car or I will need to pay and starts to bill me for the punctured tire. The manager does step in and waives the gas fill fee and tire replacement fee and credits me $168.75 of the first tow fee.

The story only gets better from here. I go to the lot to pick up my next rental car and open the trunk... you guessed it... no spare tire. I return to the pickup counter where I am treated like dirt and refuse the car. Finally, the manager walks with me to the lot and we open the trunks of cars until we find a car with a spare. I then depart for West Yellowstone to pick up my family who has been stuck at the hotel as I find new transportation.

I am out of pocket $593.75 for towing charges for the two tows all because the rental car did not have a spare... a fact that was never disclosed to me. On top of that the tire on the car could not be patched due to the excessive tread wear and the safety concerns associated with the tire. Two different mechanics looked at the tire and informed me of this. The rental car had such odd tires that a tire could not be purchased because a special order would need placed.

Almost two weeks later and Dollar has not responded to my open complaint case after many calls. They tell me that complaints are worked in the order they come in so just get in line and wait. This says enough about the issues with Dollar. They will rent unreliable vehicles with safety concerns and when they have problems they will do very little to help. They make you feel as if you are the problem and are uncooperative to help at best. The saddest thing is that my family lost 15% of our vacation time as I worked 2 days on an issue that could have been resolved quickly if only the rental car had a spare tire.

Take my counsel, NEVER RENT FROM DOLLAR RENT A CAR, they are not a good company. I can only hope that my experience is a abnormality but from my wait time for resolution, I would say DOLLAR HAS MANY ISSUES. I can only hope that consumers walk away from renting from this company and that they eventually are eliminated from the market.

Rented a car from Dollar for one week in July, I provided a credit card for authorising various charges including toll charges. The man at the desk asked, produced a map and asked me where I would be travelling - he said that $71.98 would cover all toll charges. Shortly after returning I received 4 toll violation notices totalling more than $100 and an admin fee notice from Dollar for the tolls for $60. After emailing Dollar and getting nowhere I phoned them and the nice lady has reduced the admin fee to $30 - so I am only getting ripped off to the tune of $30 - I wonder how many of these they charge a week, it's got to be easier than renting cars out.

As I didn't find out about this until I am in the UK, I am stuck with the costs - you can't deal with these people over the phone - they have your credit card details and they are going to use them. This has not only put me off Dollar but driving in the USA and possibly ever visiting the USA again, they really are a bunch of cowboys!!

My bill ballooned from $968.99 for an initial 1 month rental, to a TOTAL CHARGES $1621.63 USD because I returned the vehicle about 3 days early. This is totally unacceptable. I was expecting my bill to decrease and be pro rated, as I am accustomed to in other countries. This is the 1st time I have ever seen this practice by any rental car company. I don't have this extra amount to pay for a shortened time of using your car. I had an emergency, but still, this is gouging at the very least, and beyond that also. This is unfair business practice to the public, who is unaware that these unusual liabilities even exist. These extra charges were not revealed to me by your agent, even when asked to inform me what the adjusted rate would be.

The agent couldn't and didn't advise me, but instead, wanted to pass the buck to someone else, when I had her as my representative for information dealing with my rental agreement. And though I signed your contract, this is a misdeed on your part to me, the consumer, to increase my bill in this manner. Please adjust it, prorated for the unused days of the vehicle. I absolutely refuse to pay more than what I signed for. Please escalate this matter to your CEO office as this matter needs to be resolve, and the public needs to be warned of the stunts you are capable of doing. Thanks. Be warned that this company in the US is trying to rip off the public. I have rented with other companies before and never had a situation where my bill increase because I returned my car early. This needs to be legally pursued to stop this kind of assault! Beware of Dollar rental car- also under Avis Rental.

Our family van unexpectedly broke down just as we pulled into Norfolk, VA heading to VA Beach for vacation. The work was extensive & therefore needed a rental car to get home - (a 4 1/2 hour drive back to PA). We only needed the rental car for 24 hours & notified of its return to another Dollar Rental location closer to home. Bad News: There are only a few Dollar Rental locations within 2 hours from our home in PA limiting our ability to easily return the vehicle. Only 1 Dollar Rental location (BWI Airport) within 2 hours from our home accepted & allowed the return to an alternate location without monetary penalization.

The return transaction needed to be completed before 11 am to avoid having to pay for both Saturday & Sunday since they (& everyone else I called) closed for the weekend at 12 Noon. It was almost another 3 hours round trip on the road to BWI to make the return. It would be nice if more places existed to assist those who need rentals for such circumstances & then increase their hours of operation. This would assist people who need weekend rentals & those who don't & shouldn't be charged for extended unnecessary & costly rental fees. How is that fair?

Don't choose to rent the "mystery" choice that costs a little extra but guarantees a vehicle with equal or greater space because the Rental location can only provide vehicles they have in stock. I fell for the "mystery" car choice, paid extra & was given a compact car for 4 (even though they advertise it fits 5 comfortably- NOT), that I could have rented for $20 less. When I questioned the agent at the counter, she said she couldn't delete & redo my original transaction & made no apologies. She said to pull up my email confirmation & read the fine print. Hmmm...

On the flip side: my Great News: Dollar Rental allows returns to alternate locations (read the fine print) without monetary penalizations. It was by far the cheapest choice (by hundreds of dollars). There wasn't a line & it was a quick transaction at the counter to claim our reservation. I took a chance with a company that had the least amount of stars & the worst reviews & I guess at the end of the day, it was the best choice for us because it was the cheapest. I hope this review helps others make better car rental company decisions. Best of luck!

I arrived an hour early than my pick up time. Proceeded to check out. The representative was very pushy was trying to sell me insurance. I didn't inform her I had full coverage and it totally transferred over to the vehicle that I would be driving. The sales rep continued to try to force their insurance on me. After flat out refusing. Salesperson proceeded to charge me an extra $107.04. U-verse is a $67.23 I was supposed to pay. I repeatedly asked Rep what are the extra charges for, she would not give me an answer. Once she realized I was not going for the BS she been broke down the charges are for the one hour- Really how Petty is this. Truly the worst customer service I've ever had...

First incident: Rented a small SUV in Springfield, MO. Agent at the counter tried charging me $16.52 for picking up the car 1 minute early! She did NOT disclose the charge either... As I was signing I noticed the charge and asked about it. After I told her I would wait the 1 minute to pick up the car to avoid the charge she managed to override it and credit it back. Second incident: I actually returned the car a day early and they were going to charge me to bring it back "not within the specified contract time." With several people in line behind me I loudly exclaimed I would keep the car another day rather than pay the early return fee and magically the agent waived the fee again.

Third incident: While in Colorado I drove on toll roads that had no toll booth so you had no choice but to incur the fees billing to you by mail. Dollar sent me a bill for each of the 3 tolls (which I agree to pay) along with an admin fee of $15 PER TOLL "processing fee". The toll was only $3.40 but the fee from Dollar was $45!!! This is NOT acceptable!

I booked a 4-day rental for Dollar Rental Car from DCA Airport in Washington, DC. I live in the area but needed the car for a weekend getaway trip as I don't own a car. Dollar had the cheapest rates so I figured, why not just go with what's cheapest, they're all the same anyway right? I'd never rented a car before so I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I don't have a credit card so I paid for the booking online, well in advance of my reservation dates, with my debit card, using the pay-now rate, which was a lot cheaper than the pay-at-the-gate rate. It was only $131 for 4 days, so I will grant them that their rates are quite low.

When I got to the airport this past weekend, it turns out that, as of 2017, if you book a rental car from an airport location in the US, with a debit card, you need to also present at the desk your return flight information and 2 forms of ID (aka drivers license and passport). I had neither of these things since I hadn't flown into this airport and I was not anticipating needing my passport for a domestic road trip. Still, I assumed I could just transfer the charge to my girlfriend's credit card (who was traveling with me) and get my debit card refunded. Wrong. The gate agent informed me that I was not able to do that because the pay-now option which I had used to book was non-refundable. And, because I didn't have the necessary paperwork for a debit-card purchase, we would have to re-book at a considerable cost increase. This is unbelievable to me.

The gate agent showed me that, buried in Section 6 of the Terms & Conditions fine print, is indeed a section that states that debit cards essentially cannot be used for roadtrippers like me trying to pick up a rental car from the nearest airport to their house. But I think this information needs to be flashed in big bright letters all over their booking website once you select an airport pickup and start to enter a debit card as your payment. It should show up before you pay, not buried in the fine print of the receipt you get after you've already paid. But of course it doesn't. Because that would mean Dollar doesn't get to charge you twice for being dumb enough to think that booking a rental car would work the same as buying just about anything else in the world online.

Everyone at Dollar Rent-a-Car I've spoken to about this seemed to almost get pleasure out of the fact that they get to keep my $130 even though I didn't get to use their rental car. The gate agent told us he could not authorize any sort of refund but that I could call their customer support and try. The representative I spoke with on the phone referred my case to a case manager who, he informed me, would take up to 20 business days and then issue a decision via email, leaving me (presumably) with no one to contact if I want to appeal. Never once did I get even an apology for their website being so cleverly designed to trick someone into paying money for a service they would never actually be able to use.

So, a warning to anyone who is thinking of using Dollar to pickup a rental car from an airport: don't use a debit card. And really, just don't use them at all. We ultimately walked over and went with Payless and they were at least marginally better since they accept debit cards without needing any collateral. I will update this post if I do receive a refund but I'm not holding my breath.

Rented a full size car from Dollar from Jul 15 to Jul 20. I made the reservation online. I'm assuming the rental was managed through a consolidator. Be that as it may, you can see from my initial request that I did NOT want to add any additional insurance, i.e. Collision Damage insurance. When I picked up the car, I was very specific about fuel recharge penalties as well as the fact that I absolutely did not want ANY additional insurance as my credit card and personal automobile insurance will cover damages and this was confirmed by the card carrier and insurance carrier. Again, regardless, it was my choice as to whether or not accept any additional insurance. The rental agent coerced me very STRONGLY into accepting the FPO charge because "gas prices in California were higher than what Dollar charged" and told me to bring the car back as "empty as possible."

Having flown for 6 hours on little sleep I was unaware that I would not be refunded for any unused gas left on the tank. This is clearly a very deceptive practice on the part of the Dollar agent and it this fact should have been explained to me. Additionally, I was adamant about the additional insurance and the rental agent assured me that I could waive any additional insurance. Yes he charged me $85 for LDW. Isn't CDW that same thing??? and if I originally submitted the online request to NOT PURCHASE collision damage insurance, why was I charged? I had to leave immediately for a wedding in Santa Barbara and when I arrived I called Dollar to complain about this error but was told that since the contact was already active, I would have to wait until I return the car. Again, your rental agent was very deceptive in the charges that were applied.

I showed him a copy of the online agreement: Summary of Charges (Rental car prices are in USD) Weekly Rate (1 x 215.85): $215.85, Subtotal: $215.85, Taxes and Fees: $72.17, Amount Due at Counter: $288.02. and asked how did the charge of $288 now go to nearly $450? He double talked me and in my state and need to get to my destination, I was in no condition to argue or look for another agency.

Again I am going to repeat that the agent was very deceptive and did not explain any details now expose the fact that I was being charged an additional $85 for LDW after I explicitly told him countless times I DO NO ELECT ANY ADDITIONAL INSURANCE. I will likely never rent from your company again. I've always had positive experiences in the past with Dollar and have always told others that Dollar is the place to select a rental car from, but after this experience, I can honestly say that I would greatly hesitate suggesting anyone to rent a car from Dollar.

We are very displeased with the unfair and outrageous additional charges upon the drop off of the vehicle. Our rental fee which was 800 ended up in almost double the price due to charges inferred by the following unexpected charges: Renting and replacing a broken-from-the-start child seat (this cost was never mentioned at pick up), $182 plus taxes! The unlimited EZ pass we were obligated to pay for, since we weren't told how the gadget worked (it had to be inside the box if we didn't want to use it) and then we were informed that they would charge us $15 in addition to the toll charges every time it had been used! $310 plus taxes. And the unknown and unexplained concession recovery fees, $75.

I had a contract with DOLLAR through CarFlexi, at my arrival in Las Vegas Dollar wouldn't accept my card being they didn't have a chip card reader at the counter and their machine wouldn't recognize the swipe. The agent wouldn't accept any other payment I offered (cash or bank transfer or on phone credit card from my father) and told me he had found a solution through a different company (ADVANTAGE) where I was brought to an employee who already seemed to know about my situation. I was therefore led to believe that I was going to get the same contract (or in the same range of price) as previously signed with DOLLAR. Instead the ADVANTAGE agent had me sign a new contract without specifying the details and costs, for a total amount of over 1000$. I am filing complaints for both agencies as it is my impression there was an agreement between the two employees to scam me.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.
  • Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.
  • Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.
  • Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.
  • Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.
  • Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Compare Rental Cars