Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.48/5

1696 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 5, 2019

After a horrible experience at Europcar in Cancun I walked next door to Dollar Car Rental. Air conditioned office, professional staff, no hard pressure p-selling. I was in and out within 10 minutes. Drop off was as easy. Mid sized 4-door VW was in great shape. Highly recommend this hassle free, professionally run office in Cancun. Start your vacation without the hassle!

Original review: April 13, 2019

None better than this company. The courteous service and the exceptional condition of the automobiles is incomparable. I will continue to use this company for all my car needs. I have told everyone I know that they should use this automobile company.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Great customer service. Prices are reasonable (in my opinion) and a large fleet of vehicles to choose from. Staff was very informative and detailed orientated. I am a customer for life. I would definitely recommend DOLLAR Car rental if you're in the Newark Airport Area.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am extremely pleased with the handling of my rental car at the Dollar Rent A Car desk at Miami International Airport. My desk attendant was Inram **, a very courteous and efficient employee who handled my particular situation with extreme professionalism and helpfulness. Due to the specific situation of my rental agreement, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Joaquin **, the desk manager on duty, and as well, I was extremely pleased with his knowledge and professionalism in the handling of my agreement. Five Stars for these two employees. I rent cars frequently and noticed the difference between renting with Dollar Rent A Car and other rental car companies at Miami International Airport. I also like to rent a specific car size and later having the ability to personally select the specific car I want from a lot of rental cars available.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I rented a car at the airport in Tocumen, Panama, and drove with my mother (87), her nurse, and my daughters (19, 11, 8) to the northeast of the country, to Almirante. 8 days later, when we were returning from the Bocas del Toro Islands, we learned that we were trapped in the middle of a barricade that interrupted the road to David. The local protesters had no intention of reopening the road soon. After a day of waiting and noticing that the negotiations were not going to materialize to be able to drive back to Panama City, I contacted Dollar Rent A Car from Tocumen airport.

Not long after, Mrs. Izikmy ** from David's Dollar Rent A Car office took my call and in a very professional way began to study different options to help us leave the area to avoid interrupting our vacations and eventually losing the flight to return home. Mrs. ** answered my call asking for help with the seriousness and promptness that I expected. DOLLAR RENT A CAR of David has a great employee. And although all the coordination actions she did were unnecessary because the road was finally reopened and we were able to leave Almirante, I want to leave this note of gratitude because I think it is very important to highlight the good actions. THANK YOU IZIKMY ** AND DOLLAR, FOR ALL THE HELP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: June 2, 2019

I usually rent our vehicles from Dollar when we go on vacation and this was the worse service I have ever encountered! Firstly when we went downstairs to collect our car (which was suppose to be a Santa Fe) it was not ready. This was fine as we were aware that they were very busy earlier in the day. There were 5 people waiting to get their vehicles as well. It was only when the attendant stood you in the lot and shouted to the group of us and yelled "YOU!" Now there are 5 people all standing in the same area waiting on a vehicle and he continues to point in our direction yelling "YOU! YOU!" Now picture 5 people all looking at each other all pointing at themselves going "Me?"

At this point myself and the guy next to me walk forward and the attendant shouts at me "YOU!" The attendant then carries me to a fully loaded car and I say to him, "That's not mine. I rented a standard SUV," he starts shouting at me so I look at him and tell him not to be rude. He then looks at my paperwork again and shows me an SUV and proceeds to tell me "you don't be so rude to me next time." At this point, my husband says to him, "What did you say, give me your name," the attendant covers his badge and says NO!

All we managed to see was the name Juan on his tag. My husband and the other customer who is also upset by the entire situation now because we have all been subjected to the attendant's rude behavior ask for the manager. 'The manager' suddenly pops out of a car (to be honest we aren't sure that he is the manager) because he did nothing except agree with the attendant. My husband then put the luggage in the vehicle and we drove off with no resolution after traveling for so long. I opted to write a review instead!!

Original review: June 1, 2019

05/22/2019 - My family vacation to Dallas. Everything went great until we got to the Dollar Car Rental at our destination DFW with our Manager's Special car rental reservation. We got to Dollar Car Rental booth at DFW around 3:30pm. 4 people in line with one employee. That's fine. We were in no rush. As we were standing in line we started hearing confrontational conversation with the lady rep with 2 other customers who was in line with us. They were older elderly people.

Anyways after 15-20 min wait still one employee, got to the booth. I gave here my Confirmation Number first and last name. Then she started by saying what kind of car I wanted. Well obviously my 2 kids were standing around me so I said I was hoping to get a small SUV or a 4 door car. Computer typing ... She was like sure then gave me a quote of $580 which I've made a reservation for a Manager's Special of $$358.23. I was like "OK can I get a 4 door at least with the manager special." She looked at me and said, "Sure but the car doesn't have a trunk." Lol.

I was like, "What do you mean doesn't have a trunk." She straight up told me the manager special today, is the car without a trunk and won't fit my family. I was like then, "What is a manager special or anything special about it when you are giving me the worst rental car?" Lol. I thought she was joking around but then realized real fast that she wasn't and remember why all the other customers were are all pissed.

Anyways I politely ask, "Can we please get at least a 4 door car that can fix my family." She was like nope and handed me the $580 dollar quote and said, "You can go elsewhere to get a better deal and come back if you can't," and said to me if I can't find anything out there I can just come back without waiting in line again. Oh yeah she was like just don't go to Hertz or Thrifty cause it's the same company. SERIOUSLY!

WTF... ISN'T A SPECIAL NOT JUST A SPECIAL ... IT'S A "MANAGER'S SPECIAL." All you can do was give my family the worst smallest rental car a car without a trunk WTF. Anyways long story short we was able to book with ALAMO car rental for a little over $400. I’m everyone got the Manager's Special and got up there and was given the same ** and rip them off especially older elderly people and just don’t want to deal with it so they got them. I will never never ever rent a car to Dollar car rental.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I rented a car with Dollar through Priceline in September of 2018. I picked up the car in San Juan, PR and returned the car on time with the gas tank full and car in the same condition. It is now May 2019 and I have yet to receive my deposit back after phone calls and three separate emails, with NO response. This is the second time I have rented a car with them and the second time I have had to request my deposit back. The first time I received my deposit pretty quickly.

Original review: May 24, 2019

We dropped our rental car at the Richmond,VA airport in the morning. There was no one there to help us. We asked an employee what to do. He said to just put the key and contract in the drop box which is what we did. The car was returned FULL of gas less 59 miles Gas gauge still on full. They said the car was empty and charged me $206 for gas (The total rental was $185). So they are attempting to steal $206 from me and it is near impossible to talk to anyone in authority about the matter. Someone at the Richmond Airport is a THIEF and a liar. Dollar Rent A Car doesn't seem to care and they are also THIEVES. DOLLAR is owned by HERTZ. You would think someone would care about this injustice, but they do not. NEVER AGAIN

Original review: May 23, 2019

I pre-paid my rental with rewards points. When I arrived at the counter, I declined the insurance twice and they still added it to my rental! They have done this to countless people. This does not happen only in one location but everywhere. They take advantage of people in the middle of their exhaustive travel. When I called customer service, their reply: they can't give me back my money because I signed for it. I thought I was a fool, but after reading reviews after reviews from many different sites, I had no chance. Their victims are female, male, young and old - they have no decency. This is not just a one time mistake - this is standard practice with this business and they have got away with it.

I also filed a complaint with the FTC (1-877-382-4357). When I asked them how Dollar can keep doing this, their reply is that not many people are filing a complaint. So I went to Dollar Facebook page and I shared the info to similar victims, to report it to the FTC and their Atty General, and Dollar deleted my post. This is how they get away, by silencing us. They will continue to say that this is not a standard practice but it is. This is not just a simple "mistake", when you read reviews after reviews of the same situation -this is how they operate and make money. Please read other reviews and be the judge yourself.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I wish there is an option to give 0 stars to this company. I will never recommend anyone for Dollar to anyone ever. Dollar is cheater. First, dollar gave me car after 2 hours of waiting. It flopped my trip from the beginning. I didn't have any options so had to take the rental car after waiting for 2 hours in line. Dollar has given me car at 12:05 am and there was issues in car so finally I get off from the rental place at 12:45 pm where my original pick up time was 10:30 even though I reached 1 hour before the original time i.e 9:30 am. After 2 days I went to return a car and called that people that I will be 15-20 min late than the return time. They said that if I will be late more than 29 min they will charge. I agreed and reached after the 20 min of the return time which is of course within their timeframe.

There was a huge line to return the car and it took me 25 min to return the car. Being their mistake they charged me 3 days car rental charge saying I have returned it late and more than 29 min. Even though it was their mistake both the time they and spoiled my trip. When I am asking for refund they are explaining me policy about them and giving excuses. I will never ever rent again from this company and never ever recommend anyone to take a car from here. Either they should refund it or they should have not charged it. But no they dont care. This is not the way they are dealing with their customers. My friends has and me rented a car hundreds time. Never had this horrible experience. I am sure I will not be alone who will be writing this. Thank you very much for your worst service ever.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My experience with Dollar at the San Diego airport has left me feeling lied to and swindled. I should have known better, but this was my first trip to California so I was on unfamiliar ground. And I was pretty wiped out. Anyway, I arrived at Dollar after 16 hours of travel time. At their counter, out of 14 workstations 3 were open. Had to stand in line for about 1hr 15min. Having booked an pre-paid through Auto Europe, I expected my voucher to be honoured, possibly with a few extra fees. The counter people added fees which almost doubled what I pre-paid through Auto Europe. They were very argumentative and aggressive, insisting that I was required to pay mandatory insurance. They wore me down and I paid. Later, I actually read their contract (slightly over 9,000 words printed on a single 8 1/2 x 14 sheet, all caps). This confirmed that what I had purchased was neither insurance nor mandatory.

I tried getting through to their customer service line to no avail. I decided to let it go, just enjoy my trip. Then came the toll thing, prompting me to write this review. During the trip I went through two automated toll booths. I promptly created an account and attempted to pay my tolls online. I was prevented from paying because it was a fleet car. Again, I attempt to contact Dollar by phone, but when I picked the "toll" option, their IVR cut me off. Fast forward a month, and I receive an invoice. $7.28 tolls and $30.00 administrative fee. Oh, and the due date of the payment was the same day as the postmark!

I tried three times to provide feedback to Dollar through their website, but when I hit send it says there is a problem and they can't post. I actually laughed out loud - it was like having a complaint box mounted over a shredder. I have to say that the car was good, clean and as advertised. But they managed to almost double what I had pre-paid, and have blocked all channels of communication. Dollar, you obviously don't want to hear from me so I promise you never will. If you have to deal with this company, do your homework and don't believe anything they tell you. And don't go through automated toll booths - you will get hit with huge surcharges, and in California the scenic routes are well worth the extra time.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Updated 05/17/2019: My Ordeal continues, the customer care agent is very arrogant and they continue to charge me per week, even after I requested to change it to Monthly Rental in Dubai. There is nobody who can help. I will have to drive 150miles to reach their counter to change it but, if they want money they will take it over phone. The agent just says "You made the Choice"?

Original review: I had taken a rental for a week, and I called them to convert that into month, I was busy and work hence, could not go to them. They refused to do it over a phone or online, where as they can do all other items online. Also, the agent gives you his mobile number, which you cant get him at all. It is bunch of Con's. Avoid them while landing at airport or just choose the rentals you trust will service you better.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Beware of hidden charges!!! I still have no idea what a "Customer Facility Charge" is... I rented a car in the airport at TF Green Airport in Rhode Island. BAIT AND SWITCH!!! I reserved a full size auto "Impala or similar" and got a Chevy Malibu. The car was dirty. Worse than that the Malibu was in need of a tune up... it hesitated, and ran rough the entire week. Why did I keep this car? It was late in evening, tired from the traveling, and was in no mood to do battle with the rude counter person. Big mistake!!! I recommend you do business with established professional companies like Hertz or Enterprise. A little more money, much much better service!

Original review: May 5, 2019

If I could rate this place even lower than a one star - I would. Extremely unprofessional and dishonest. We called a week ago guaranteeing our 25 and under fee would be waived by being AAA members, when we called again to book this they told us that wasn't the case. I asked to speak to a supervisor and instead, a woman kept repeating the same thing to me rudely rather than letting me ask her supervisor where the disconnect was. Some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. Don't ever use this company. I never was able to speak to the supervisor, and the girl couldn't give me a solid reason. On top of this, I could barely understand the woman.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I just had a horrible experience with Dollar Rent A Car. I choose them because Dave Ramsey recommends them on the show. I love Dave Ramsey and the baby steps, I'm on step 3 and so excited to be out of debt and in a position where I can help my family when chaos hits. My uncle is going through surgery and my dad (his brother) wanted to go down to California and see him so I offered to pay for his rental car. I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan and I have no credit cards. So since I listen to the show, and I know he endorses Dollar, I just automatically went to Dollar to pay for my dad's rental.

I thought it would be wise to prepay for the car to make sure everything would go smoothly. I made a dollar rewards account and paid for the car online directly through the dollar.com website. I set up my dad as the primary driver, since he was gonna do all the driving. Then on Friday, I met my dad at the airport and we went in to get the car. When they asked for a card in his name, he gave them his debit. The card didn't work. I'm not sure why, but he didn't have another card on him. So I asked if we could adjust the reservation and add me as the primary driver. The lady at the counter said since I booked through a third party, I couldn't change the reservation. This confused me, because I booked directly through dollar.com. So I asked what my options were. She said if I had a credit card, I could book a new reservation.

UMMMM, I came to Dollar because of the Dave Ramsey referral and I have no credit cards. Plus it's advertised everywhere that they do worry free debit cards. So I told her I have no credit cards and asked if we could cancel the reservation. She said she couldn't cancel because I prepaid and gave me a number to call. So I called the number and no one answered. I asked again if there was anything we could do? She said we could book a new reservation in my name but would have to wait 24 hrs before we could pick up the car if we were using a debit card. My Uncle is waiting down in California. It was super important to get the car that night - which is why I prepaid and showed up on time with everything we needed. So that couldn't work.

Basically she couldn't help in anyway and couldn't seem to give me any information about how I could cancel or get help from anyone. It was so frustrating to be in the middle of a family crisis and just wanting to help my dad go see his brother, only to face this situation where they had my prepaid money but no ability to help us get a car. I have plenty of money and if they could have just added me as a driver or had some sort of friendly customer support to help me get this together it would have been a completely different situation. So my hands were tied, I clearly couldn't get a car from Dollar - even though I had already paid for it.

The crazy thing is, Enterprise Rental Car overheard and waved me over. They were super nice to me and allowed me to book a car with my debit card and have it the next morning. They even sent me a text and offered to drive me back to my house. It was like night and day, their customer service was so great. My dad got his car is he's heading down now to visit my uncle.

I'm now battling with Dollar to try to get my money back. Turns out they use a company called cartrawler.com to book prepaid cars. So far they have told me I cannot have a refund even though they couldn't give me a car. Their customer service has been super rude to me over the phone. I tweeted to Dollar and that has been the best experience so far, they are at least trying and being nice and friendly but everyone else I have dealt with at Dollar has been super rude to me. I'm not expecting a refund at this point and I learned a big lesson about rental cars. I did some searching and they have so many complaints against them, I wish I had searched before I paid $$. I hope they can do some updates to their website and revamp their customer service so others don't have to go through what I'm going through. This was super disappointing. I'm so thankful for Enterprise, for helping to save the day!

Original review: April 30, 2019

A family of four flying in from MN for a wedding of a dear friend in PA. Waited almost an hour for a pick up at the airport while watching every other rental car company's pickups going past MULTIPLE times. Finally getting to the rental, waited over 40 mins in line before getting the car. Didn't have the car I booked. Was not presented options for tolls; the E-ZPass in the car was already opted-in without my knowing. I live in MN where no tolls in highways so obviously oblivious to the possibility that there will be a huge bill if you don't pay the toll yourself by buying your own E-ZPass. Not told this at the time of rental. A few days later, I got hit with a bill for around $50 for passing through tolls a few times in three days. Is this some dishonest scheme to pile charges? Rude and inefficient staff, hidden admin fees and charges amounting to around $100 dollars and toll charges to top it off. A very bad, unpleasant experience. AVOID DOLLAR/HERTZ.

Original review: April 27, 2019

This company was great when I saw they accepted debit cards for anyone under 25. I booked a full-size sedan for 3 days, with a AAA member discount. My rate for the first 2 days was $74.66, the 3rd day $37.33. with a total of $145.77 tax included, $200 deposit. I never got back my $200 deposit by the way. I called on the 3rd day to get an additional day because I was out of town.

I was told it's $40 for an additional day. Cool, Then on the 4th day I asked if I can drop the car off a 10 hour after I was initially told by MIA center that it would be $50 extra. I said fine, I called back the customer service line and they told me my total will be $500 because four days is considered 1 week. They eventually charged my card of all expenses $614. They claimed the car was empty, it was on 3 quarters of a tank full, I was charged $114 for that. If my rate is $37 or $38 a day why charge me $300+ for additional hours. Stay away.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I am a disabled veteran so I don't make a ton of money. When mother died suddenly I had to fly home for her wake. I made a rental car reservation and prepaid online, for later that day. I received an email from Dollar confirming the receipt of payment and my bank reflected the same thing payment made to Dollar Rental Car. Only on the confirmation email did the reservation information say a 24 hour hold on the car could be applied. When I landed a few hours later went to the Dollar counter. The clerk informed me that I would not be able to rent the car until 0200 am and they closed at one. I asked for a refund to rent from a another place and they refused saying I needed to call a website I had not ever been to because they we are paid not Dollar.

I bought a bus ticket and was late to the wake but did make it with 10 min to spare. The past three weeks I have been lied to, hung up on, transferred to dial tone, had to provide a bank statement proving the mi came out. They will give me only 2 numbers to call and who belongs to what number is different each time I have to call back now 23 and counting. I have been told by both Dollar and this phantom website Cartraller.com more than once they will not return the funds to me at all.

Finally after two weeks of 2 hours a day arguing and fighting to have the rental car charge from a car I never rented back, I get one of the liars to admit that it it actually Dollar who routes all prepaid on line rentals to Cartraller. They do this so they can steal your money. Cartraller has no contact info on their site anywhere and any email they send has no contact number, will even delete after 24 hours so you have to save them somewhere else. It is clearly the same company running both. That allows them to not rent to races they don't like and blame another then steal money, charge bogus fees, all sorts of illegal behavior.

Ironically the reason I refuse to use a credit card renting a car is Hertz robbed me before so badly I have never used them since and never will. Guess who owns Thrifty and Dollar. Hertz. How one company can own two competitors with different names. All three have the policies of theft. It robs the people of choice and the market of self regulation.

Almost a whole month has passed and they still have not paid back my payment for a service they them refused to provide me. They have no documentation supporting any claims they have made, they lie constantly, and will hang up on a caller in an instant, they have shell companies hiding money so readily they don't know who pays for what. Hertz rental is the worst company I have ever done business with. They are deplorable. Here it is 0200. I can't sleep through my hunger pains. I already gave my future in service of the country. In my time of morning my only relative Hertz was there with a fresh lemon for my wounds. Even paying me back now would make little difference to me, I work as much as I can out every penny counts. I never thought the day would come that corporations have no laws and answer to no one while we pay all the taxes for their benefit.

I have never felt so openly disregarded. By my government, by my country, by this company by far the most. I'm just a poor veteran with no voice, no advocate, no attorney, living hand to mouth at 45. I am an easy target so this continues until Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty or whoever they are get tired of my pain and I can just sit and suffer. What a fool I have been. This is what I bled for? I go over there thinking I'm securing our freedom and come home to have the same guy I have been getting shot at and by denying me a rental car I paid for in what was my home.

When I left, paying for something meant you had purchased the product. Now it means I may or may not get anything for it. I can again be denied because of my race judged by my enemy a decade ago. Now a license to steal with no recourse by me available, because I was told we were all Americans and it was our duty. In the eyes of Hertz that's just a hustle so they can do their part to sell you out when you come home because they stole your rights while you bled for them.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Dollar Rental Car charges a $15 dollar administrative fee for every toll that you go through...meaning every increment of highway that go through that has tolls adds a $15 charge on top of the actual toll. The Dollar Rental Car near the RDU airport did a terrible job of even mentioning this fee despite having a major toll thoroughfare that leads to the airport. It is appalling that they would not warn customers about such a ridiculous fee.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Desk clerk gave me inaccurate information about dropping the car off in another city. This has been a nightmare and is costing me four hours in time, about $100 additional dollars and abundant frustration. I should have read the reviews before booking with them. Never again.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Service was very good and the employee was very friendly and helpful. Did try to select a smaller vehicle but due to time of year and when original reservation was made, cost would have been higher.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I booked my Dollar rental car on Booking.com. I paid $134 at the time that I booked and was told that when I picked that car up I would only pay the taxes so the total I paid would be around $200. I never agreed to any additional charges at the time of picking up the car so they told me the total would be $208, which seemed right based on the original quote. Later I discovered that a Loss Waiver charge was applied without my consent or knowledge and the $208 I was quoted was on top of the $134 I had already paid. The fee was added to my bill without my knowledge by their employee.

The employee told me when I picked up the car that I would only be charged for the taxes since I had already paid the other part of the bill through Booking.com. I even called Dollar the day I picked up my car asking about the charges and the Dollar phone rep said that I would be reimbursed the amount showing on the receipt when I dropped the car off and that was just a holding fee like a deposit in case something happened to the car. The Dollar employee at the Charlotte airport obviously tried to trick me into signing for the loss damage waiver without my knowledge and therefore this was a fraudulent act by the company. Beware of this scam if you ever aren’t from Dollar.

Original review: April 12, 2019

On the particular day I rented the vehicle near the LaGuardia airport there were only two counter personnel working and the wait time was 40 Mins. Other than that, the vehicle was perfect. I certainly will use this company again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had a camera strap get caught in the liftgate hatch. The back would not open. I called Dollar and they told me to call a Cherokee Dealer. I left 3 messages and never heard back. The other option was to return the SUV to the airport which was an hour away. Disappointed in the lack of help.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The car was fine. But the line at the service counter in Jacksonville airport was awful. Too few employees. Other rental companies seemed to move people quickly. (But I don't know what their charges would have been.)

Original review: April 9, 2019

I rented a car for 4 days and ended up paying almost $500. 3 days after I turn the car in I get a bill for $300 for cleaning, I supposedly smoked in the car. I did not smoke in the car, nobody smoked in the car, I dropped the car off at the airport, caught my flight and was charged $300 after the fact. I will never use them again. I feel robbed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was in line for over an hour Orlando Airport in February for my vehicle from Dollar Rent A Car. When I made the reservation over the phone, it was made for pick up at the wrong airport. I'm thankful for the e-mail, while in line I called back and change the airport. The first person I spoke with I feel didn't care. The second person I give 5*****. She was great. After that it was great.

Original review: March 30, 2019

The worst possible experience you can imagine, our lives were in danger with a car that had 3 bad tires, one with a repaired patch that fail on us and worst yet two front tires completely wore to the point where the tires wires were exposed, pictures attached. We found it after almost exit the road while going down a hill. For icing on the cake, I had to buy 3 new tires with my own money and time and had to keep and bring with me to the check out to be able to get a refund, no service or exchange of cars available. I submitted a complaint and did not received even a response at all.

Original review: March 27, 2019

In the middle of our 7 day road trip after traveling on a dirt road the low pressure light came on. We stopped and filled the tire with air and within 10 minutes the low pressure light came back on. We decided to find a motel so we could be safe and call for assistance. When I called the person assisting me gave me two options, one was for one of us to ride with the tow truck driver for two hours to pick up the car and drive it back (as they had no driver to bring us one) or we could wait until morning and call them back and they would arrange to have a car dropped off to us. As it was after six by now and we had been driving all day we decided to wait until the morning.

When I called in the morning nothing had been set up like I was told the day before and they had to get a manager's approval to drop off a car. After an hour and half and three phone calls still no approval. We then decided to take the two hour drive as we could both go. At this time no one could answer whether we could be reimbursed for the room. Once we got to the Raleigh/Durham airport the counter person told us we had to wait to the end of our trip to make any adjustments. We then asked to speak to the manager who offered us a free upgrade stating the other would have to wait to the end of our trip. When we got to the new car it was the same make, model and color of the car we just turned in so back in to see the manager and another car.

By this time we had wasted the night before and half the day and were two hours out of our way. At the end of our trip the Dollar at the Myrtle Beach Airport is independently owned and had no staff on so we were checked out by Budget and again they could not give us answers on any adjustments. Was told to call corporate. So the next morning I called corporate and the only offering for the aggravation was to take the $108 off the bill for the second driver. Not the best day of our road trip as we had to cancel the plans we had made and we lost a day.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information