1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1637 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We paid online for car hire at several of our airport drop offs in America before we left England for a touring holiday. Our first car was from Alamo. The fee we paid was as per the online price and all went very smoothly, however our next three hire cars were Dollar cars. At each airport desk we were charged additional tax/fees that apparently are mentioned somewhere in the small print, at Buffalo we were charged 100 dollars for an airport tax we had no idea about.

When I asked about electronic Tolls I was told not to worry as we would get a bill once we got home with the toll charges on them for us to pay. What the operative failed to explain was the fact that I would be charged $15 for each toll transaction. I have now received two invoices from Dollar. One for $32 (two one dollar tolls) and another for $90.45 ($15.45 total tolls). This is an absolute ripoff and the information given by the operative very misleading. Dollar should ensure all this additional charging is clear and transparent at the booking stage, however if this was the case the number of bookings Dollar received would plummet. I would never use them or their associated companies again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

18 day car rental in California was PREPAID through Booking.com, whose search brought up Dollar Rent A Car. Prepay was US$554.09, which would have been a good deal (first RED FLAG). Upon returning car, I was charged another $347.22. I was totally scammed. It was partly my fault -- I did not read the contract at the desk. But who can possibly read an entire contract at a rental desk with a mob of people around? Guess what, you should do it, anyway. I took the word of the "nice" rental person at the airport desk to answer my questions. I asked point blank, "Would there be any additional charges when I return the car?" Of course, she said "no". But, I had signed for upsale items that I didn't fully understand (deliberately misrepresented).

NEVER take the word of a salesperson. I won't use Booking.com (for this and other reasons) and I will NEVER use Dollar Rent A Car again. I have later discovered that it is virtually POLICY with them to ADD on charges AFTER the rental. I ended up paying about the same as a first rate company, so in that regard it reduces the "burn" of being scammed, but it was a bitter experience and quite unpleasant. I'd rather pay more and be treated with honesty and respect than played a fool.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I rented and reserved a truck to rent at Orlando Airport. I flew in at 10 pm at night. Upon arriving they did not have the truck I reserved. I had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes for a different truck. They were so unorganized. They never went over my fuel options with me. When I returned the vehicle they charged me $129.87 for a 1/2 tank of gas. Don't do business with Dollar or Hertz Rent a Car.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We rented a car from Dollar Rent A Car in New Zealand. We returned the car as scheduled. Approximately 3 weeks after we arrived home, Dollar contacted us to say that they could not find the car and that they were going to escalate the situation to the police. After many emails back and forth they eventually advised me that they had made a mistake and found the car. There had been many errors made within their organization that led to them believing that we had not returned the car. It caused me a great deal of stress. No compensation was offered once they discovered it was their own negligence that led to them losing their own car. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Rented a car for 3 days, the car was just fine. When I returned it in, it had a full tank. I asked if I owed anything additional, and was told no. 2 weeks later I get a letter, saying that I didn't pay a road toll fee of $3, hence they will charge my credit card for $48!! Needless to mention -- Of course that I paid any possible fee on the way. This is disgraceful. No phone number on the letter and I have nobody to talk to. Do not ever be their client.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My wife and I had a reservation for 5pm, Friday, October 19, 2018, in Baltimore (BWI airport location). We had to adjust our flight plans and arrived in Baltimore around 10am. As we approached the Dollar counter, the agent who said her name was “Stacy” was extremely rude and said she didn’t tell us to approach the counter yet. We understood that being early there may be a problem getting a car. When I thought it couldn’t get any worse, “Charles”, the manager, came to the counter and was even more rude than “Stacy”. When I asked for their names, they didn’t seem concerned whatsoever. I’m guessing this is the norm in Baltimore? Anyway, we will never use or recommend Dollar or Thrifty again. We ending up using Lyft to get to our destination. Thanks for nothing Dollar/Thrifty.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Upon renting car in Sarasota Florida, I was perfectly happy with the car itself, however never went over any rental agreement with you. Nowhere in the agreement does it offer you toll information or passes that you will need if you do not want to get any fines or administration fees while traveling. While on these toll roads you are NOT able to pay cash but picture taken of your vehicle and then blindsided when you get a $1.34 toll charge + 9.99 administration fee for each and every time you go through. This is NOT very good customer service and an easy way for customers to NEVER use your company again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Dollar charged my card Oct 1 and didn't have the vehicle that I was told I was getting. Oct 15 they charged my card again. I never got a CAR. The salesperson Jacob was racist!!! NEVER AGAIN. I'll WALK FIRST...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Rented a car in Boston Logan and specifically declined "Damage Waiver" also known as LDW. Nevertheless, was charged $287.91 for 8 days of rental. I did a mistake leaving signed agreement in the car. Got half of that amount refunded by Shawna from their phone line. Will never rent from them again. P.S. Their gas gadget was out of order showing tank is not full even when gas started to leak over the top. Yet another way to scam customers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Having arrived in Boston to collect my car the lady behind the counter told me that the insurance provided was very basic and would not suit my driving needs in the USA. I was unable to get hold of my holiday provider and due to the late hour. I took the advice from Dollar and paid the additional costs which amounted to around £180, this I felt should have explained in greater depth at the time of booking with Dollar. Fully inclusive should mean that everything is fully covered and not just the bare amount to get you on your way!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I rented a car at Raleigh Durham airport Dollar Car Rental. I received a toll charge for $1, $1.26, $1.25. There was no way to pay at a toll, only to pay via mail as charges are traced to driver. Toll charge sent to Dollar, and no way for me to make payment. Dollar charging $15 per toll charge or $45 for administrative fees plus $3.51 for toll for total of $48.51. Seems like a total scam. I have called Dollar and they have cut the administration fee in half but it is still infuriating and a ripoff as there was no way to avoid this.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Bad service. We were charged $9.99 per gallon of fuel for not bringing it back with a full tank at 3 am at the Tampa airport. We were not informed by the staff of this high cost before we signed the contract. Never rent from them again.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Dollar is making every effort to overcharge customer as much as they can. I had an horrible experience in Chicago. They don't explain to you the different charges and I ended up with more than $100 of overcharge while I was returning the car with the tank FULL. USE ANOTHER RENTAL BRAND.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Rented a car in Orlando for one week. The tolls were included and I refueled just outside the airport when I returned it. I even overfilled to ensure it was full upon my arrival. Since there was no there to receive the car, I was told to leave it and expect an e-receipt. About two hours after getting home, I checked my email and there it was except about 30 dollars more than my contract. I called to inquire why and I was told as a courtesy, the fuel portion would be refunded but the other charges, which could not be explained, would stand. I have contacted my credit card company to not pay anything above what I agreed to. The rep at Dollar said it would be considered a charge off and I won't be able to rent from them again. I have no plans to ever rent from a company that would rip off customers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Reserved the car online $109 CAN. Got to Houston and they add a bunch of stuff including Toll charges, Concession Fees, Prop Tax, Energy Surcharge... approx. another $75 US more than what I was originally quoted and paid... Called and emailed them for an explanation on why someone reserves online expecting to pay a certain amount and then when you get there it's a whole other story... All I got was attitude. They don't care how crooked their business practices are. (Obviously base on the reviews I read here.) Too bad I didn't see these reviews before I rented. NEVER RENTING WITH DOLLAR EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I get scammed for this company like thousands of people on this page, it's a shame that let them scam people like that, a rent a car for 300 US$ for 12 days but then they charged me more than 100 US$ extra for toll fees and 150 US$ extra for premium road service (this service was given to me in a malicious way, they told me it was the full insurance which I had already paid for, so they lied to me)... I always used Alamo, never will use Dollar again, please be aware. Don't use Dollar rental. PS: I wish I had seen this review of "1 star" of this company before hiring dollar services.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

What a bunch of see you next Tuesdays... DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS. We booked our car and paid around £350 for a two week car rental. The agreement stated that you get a full tank and return it as a full tank which sounded good to us. This was in LA. Upon collection, the man tried to sell us something for toll road to which we declined. He then mentioned that we do not need to fill the tank up upon return and it’s best to leave it as empty so I was happy enough with that. My partner and I signed to say we were going to drive the car and then we went to choose our car. No instruction given on how to drive the car which is not that helpful when you don’t own a large automatic but hey ho that’s how they operate.

We were given a receipt of ‘estimated’ charges but didn’t worry too much about this as we had already paid... Then when we handed the car back we had been charged over $200 for some roadside assistance that WE DID NOT ASK FOR AND WAS NOT OFFERED AND DID NOT AGREE TO. When questioned about this, the ‘Manager’ said that this was highlighted in the contract given to us, folded up when we went into that hell hole. This highlighted charge was not in the contract because the order online did not include this. My partner was made to WRITE a statement of the issue even though he has verbally told you here and now what this issue was and then it will be investigated and will hear back within 24 - 48 hours. Well they’ve had their 48 and STILL NO REPLY. SHOCKING...

Do not use this company, this experience has ruined the end of a wonderful holiday and there is no need to con people. If you’re not making enough money to then increase your prices, don’t con innocent people. Reading these awful reviews, we are clearly not the first people they have done this to. Think we’ll claim the money back through the bank and see how quickly they get in touch with us then...

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We’ve booked a car on the Dollar site. When we arrived to the deck in Houston airport they said that our driver license is not valid, though year ago we booked a car and did it a lot of times in Europe. Then they said that they can’t cancel our reservation, can’t change it to the other driver without deposit lost and employee was rude and didn’t want to help us at all. As the result - our deposit is lost and we booked a car in other rental company, where our driving license was good and valid.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I made a reservation through Travelocity because it was the lowest price. Once I got to LGA on a Friday night after my flight was already delayed there was only 1 person handling the counter. So at 11PM after working all day, then getting on a delayed flight I had to wait in a line an additional 45 minutes. Once I got to the counter the Associate could not see my booking with Travelocity? How does that even happen? So tried to sell me insurance which I had already added but thankfully I remembered. Then he tells me that I need to get some E-Z Pass machine which is an additional $30.00 a day to pay for tolls. Supposedly NY no longer accepted cash for tolls. Also if I did not have one I will be charged by NY State like $9.00 administrative fee.

These was all a fabrication as when I drove around I saw there was a designated "Cash" lane for every E-Z Pass. Also if I had gone through and not paid they would of mailed me an invoice with a small upcharge and not $9.00 each time. In any case I ended it up paying $30.00 x 4 which I did not need in addition to other ridiculous fees and taxes on top. Total airfare from FLL to LGA $225.00. Total rent a car charges $320.00??? Then when I tried to dispute it with my credit card Dollar Rent A Car had the audacity to tell me that if the any part of the charges were reversed they would send me to collections. Never again... Ugh.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I recently rented a vehicle from Dollar for two weeks in Phoenix. The contract made clear about the total price. However, they later on charged me $70 extra for no reason. I do not recommend rent cars from Dollar.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Several weeks ago, I reserved a rental car online and I told my employer all he needed to do is sign for it. When my employer picked it up he signed for it and all was fine until he noticed the bill was several hundreds of dollars more than contracted. He notified me within the hour after picking it up and ask for me to correct the issue. After several attempts Dollar refused to correct the issue. Please be advised. DOLLAR IS NOT ACTING AS A GOOD CORPORATE CITIZEN AND I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM IN THE FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I find it incredibly abusive for a company to charge you an administrative fee of $9.99 for a $1 toll charge. Even if it's spelled out in the agreement, we all know that nobody reads a full page of small print details. If the state charges the rental company $1, that's exactly what they should charge you. Why in the world do they think they have the right to charge you 1000% of what they have to pay??? This is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented a car at Dollar Rent A Car for my Las Vegas vacation from Aug 21 to Aug 28. I choose Dollar since it had the lowest rates - so I thought. When I arrived in Vegas on Aug 21, they only had 3 cars left at the rental facility, so I took a Nissan Versa. I didn't notice the cleanliness of the vehicle as I just finished flying for 7 hours and just wanted to get to my hotel. When I returned the car on Aug 28, the person at the facility started taking pictures of the inside of the car and asked if I was smoking cigarettes! I said, "No, I am a non smoker," and he said, "Well, it's a $300 cleaning charge for smoking!"

Long story short - the front counter told me to call corporate, on my flight home, I called corporate, they told me to settle it with the Las Vegas people, so I got screwed out of $300. I will never rent from Dollar again. The fact is, I should have asked for pictures before I took the car - but of course I wasn't thinking. The person who had the car before me might have been smoking, but $300 to clean a car?? It's outrageous. It would cost me $1.25 in quarters and some air freshener and the car would have been cleaner than before I picked it up. Consumers BEWARE!! Stick to ALAMO or ENTERPRISE!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Rented a car for a week from the Tampa Airport Dollar location. Car was fine, staff was good, rate was competitive. But we just got a bill from Dollar to pay for Florida tolls. These are automatic camera tolls from the license plate. Anytime we could pay cash tolls we did. Dollar billed us $4.82 for the tolls and $39.96 for administrative fees. Will never rent from them again!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We didn't get the car we counted on because once we arrived to pick it up we were told we couldn't use a debit card with a Visa logo. We were told we had to have a "regular" credit card instead, even though on the website it said we could use a debit card. Even though I had more than enough money on the card and even cash to cover anything we needed. I also got the insurance coverage. Dollar Rent A Car was the biggest disappointment yet. And the person working behind the desk didn't even try to help me get another car. DISGUSTING!!!

Here is the information from your website about payment options. "PAYMENT OPTIONS: To qualify to rent the Dollar vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a valid drivers license and valid major credit card or debit card in the renter's own name with available credit. At the time of rental, an authorized hold will be secured on your credit/debit card provided to cover the estimated rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred. These funds will not be available for your use. We will place an authorization amount of up to USD 350.00 or 15 percent of the estimated rental charges, depending on rental location and card used. If Dollar cannot secure credit approval for this amount and/or proper identification credentials are not supplied, Dollar will decline your rental."

So they almost ruined my daughter's graduation trip. Lucky for us Budget Rental was able to get us into a vehicle but we could barely get into it "since there were 7 of us". We had to take a car that didn't fit our luggage for a 6-hour drive. The kids had to carry their luggage on their laps for the entire trip. I can't even express how disappointed I am in this ridiculous outcome. I about had a nervous breakdown right there at the counter. It took us an hour to scramble to find something else. They will lose many customers in the future. Even my staff members, after hearing about the ordeal, said they will never rent Dollar Rent A Car. Along with all the kids' parents who were in the car with us. What a nightmare! DON'T RENT FROM THEM!!! They do not stand by what they claim on their website.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I paid a £151.89 for the deposit at the counter, plus the insurance and the car rental amount. According to them my private insurance through Barclays it was valid in this company. So, I ended up paying more than I expected. The car was planned to be taken from Barcelona Airport in Spain, and to be returned at Saints Railway Station. And everything has been paid through my debit card.

The car has been booked from the 7th July 2018 to 9th July 2018, and the debit comes out from my account on the 11th July 2018. Ever since I've been waiting for my deposit to be refunded. I tried to call Dollar Rent A Car 5+ times and waited for more than 1h 30 over the phone, but everyone that has answered has mentioned that the deposit has been released to be back on my account ever since. They promised the refund would be done immediately, but 40 days after, I still haven't received anything on my bank account... Very disappointed with my rental, next time I'll go with another company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I rented from them on August 1 and was given a quote of $210. I returned the car with less than 100 miles used and the gas tank was a little under 3/4 full. I meant to fill the car up on the way in and forgot. I realized that I had forgotten when I pulled up and I asked the woman if I would be charged extra and she said no that I would only be charged for the gas. I repeated what she said to reiterate and she agreed. So I left the car again with a little under 3/4 full. I then received a bill for $288.67. There is no reason why I should have been charged $78 more dollar for gas when very little was needed. The car was an Altima and there is no way a 1/4 of a tank of gas costs that much EVEN if they mark it up. I contacted them and they did NOTHING to correct the situation. I even sent a picture of the gas tank that I took as I exited the car at the airport as well as the original quote. I would not recommend using this facility as they might rip you off as well.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I had a reservation for a mini-van. The lady at the counter tried to upsell insurance which I declined. Then she said my credit cards were getting declined because their system was not equipped to read chip cards. In short, she either did not have a mini-van, or got upset about my refusal to buy insurance from them and did not want to give me a car. I called the airport non-emergency police to report this incident, and she got super upset. Said, "I don't want to give you a car any more." I would encourage all of you to call law enforcement if a reservation is not honored. I plan to follow up.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I rented a car yesterday from PIT to drop off at JFK. The front desk person initially gave me a ridiculously high price for a one day rental. Upon my reaction he went like that give me a minute let me try reducing the amount by applying some discounts or whatever. It came down to almost around my budget and I just took it. He went like this is such a nice price. In my naivety, I got excited and gave my card to lock the deal.

Next morning, today, I call the customer service to change my drop off time to add a couple of hours. That is when I get to know that I have been added loss dmg waiver, LIS (I don’t even know what that is) and Prem road Serv charges and the receipt also says accepted. Which I had never asked for or was never told that they are being added. I went to their office in Astoria and they told me that I will have to go back to Pittsburgh to get this issue sorted (are you kidding me?) It is such a major case of deception and poor customer service. I felt helpless and was forced to pay the soared amount since I’m leaving tonight. I will never ever use their service and will recommend all the people to be very cautious and double check your receipts.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

They misquoted me and made my reservation for the wrong airport. When I asked for the correct reservation the charged me $500 more then said they would give me my money back but then when I filed a claim they refused.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information