2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5
Based on 1,338 ratings submitted in the last year

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have had problems with Dollar before but today was really bad. They robbed me at least three ways. I reserved a car online 24 hours in advance cause I have only Debit card. They charged me 111 dollars with 59 to come later for a three day rental. They did not give me car because I do not have a CREDIT CARD, and they kept the MONEY for deposit, Also I had to pay for a hotel reservation 300 miles away cause of this, Plans ruined. Lost almost 200 dollars, when I said, "Give my money back" they gave me runaround 800 800 5252 number where they do nothing. Monstrous robber of 'bad credit riff raff" I guess that is okay?? NO. They ruined my life this week. NYC w 52nd Street Dollar Car Rental Agent Yolanda.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I rented a large vehicle and paid for it 4 months in advance to pick up at the Oakland, CA airport location. The vehicle was not on the lot for me to pick up. There was no acceptable vehicle that my party of 6 plus all of our luggage would fit in. When I called the 800 number, I was told they had my vehicle on the lot. I told them I was standing at the counter and they do not have my vehicle. The representative said, "It says they have one on the computer." I asked if they could call the counter person and discuss it. They said no. I asked the counter person to call. They said no. I asked if they could call San Francisco and I would drive there to pick up a bigger vehicle. They said no.

They could not call a different location. I would have to do that. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach a counter person at a different location. You can only get someone at the 800 number. They didn't have my vehicle NOR could they talk to each other. They offered to refund my money if I was unhappy but that would have left me stranded! We had to cram items at people's feet and on laps to get to our destination.

My husband picked up a car 5 days later and was forced to take a car with a toll reading device and charged 11.99 a day for a device he did not need! I called the 800 number to complain and was told because he signed the contract, he must pay the money. I explained the lady wouldn't let him leave with the car until he signed the contract even though he repeatedly said he did not want the toll reading device! He was forced to take it. They said he signed a contract and would have to pay the fees. They would NOT refund the bogus charges. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I reserved n e-car 4 weeks in advance. When I arrived I was told no car was available & would be put on a waiting list. They were severely overbooked & continued to take reservations. I was given multiple excuses by the man on the desk but no car!

Original review: March 31, 2021

3/28/21- I rented from Dollar Friday night, later flight coming into Orlando on a flight. Lines are long... not socially distanced. I booked with AAA. I get to the counter with my reservation and the guy asked me if I had basic insurance. I told him I did. I look at the total and it had gone up from $276.29 and some change to $501.71. I told the guy three times I had my own insurance and I did not want theirs. He said the total of around $501.71 was for the $200 hold fee and the rest were taxes. Next day husband tells me there is a $701 charge for the compact car at Dollar. I told him that is wrong and it should be around $500. I go out and get the rental agreement and the guy charged me for the insurance I declined but he explained the bill when I asked 3 times as the $200 fee and the rest taxes.

So a compact car is now $500. I asked him three times about these charges told him I did not want their insurance I had my own. I called customer service with Dollar. They told me to call the counter at the airport. I called every single option on the phone number given to me to get a person to get a new contract and the insurance taken off. It took me two days to get a person on the phone. I even drove to the airport and the line was 100 plus people deep to get a car.

I finally get a person on the phone after leaving the airport. He tells me the only way to get this fixed is to go to the airport to which I would have to stand in the line. He said, "You can skip the line... you already have a contract." I said, "You don’t think a lot of angry travelers are going to yell at me." He said, "No, just go to the counter and ask for a new contract." Mind you I’m on vacation and because the guy at the counter who lied to me about what was on my bill initially... I’m wasting my vacation time dealing with this.

The guy on the phone tells me customer service is not open until Monday. How in the world do you have a business and no weekend customer service. So he said they could take care of it Monday when I call again on my vacation due to guy at the counter. I tried every extension they had over the weekend even roadside assistance. No one answered and the call just hung up three times... you will just be stranded. I told the guy the issues when I was leaving on the car. He said, "I noted all of the issues with the car, cigarette hole in the seat and missing cup holder," but never looked at the car. Also, the guy at the counter murmured something about tolls. Could not hear that either. Who knows what other charges are just going to be added.

Update on 3/31/2021- finally got a hold of someone and explained to me that I could have gone to any Dollar to get these issues fixed. New to me. Too late now. "It is in the contract." The contract was verbally explained away to me by the representative at the counter. The guy at the counter will explain your bill incorrectly and ignore your request to not add insurance, then explain the charges differently than what you think they are. I would give negative stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Never rent a car from Dollar. The are not up front with their bottom line cost. Quoted a price of $296 and charged $653 for a 6 day rental. Customer service and supervisor extremely unhelpful and rude. What happened to good customer service. Absolute disgrace. Never will I rent from Dollar.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Dollar car rental is lying scammers! Charged us $400 for smoking which Is ridiculous!! No one even was present when we dropped the car off and no one went over anything with us!! Lying con artist thieves!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Booking, picking up, and returning my rental car was hassle-free and easy to navigate; however, dealing with their customer service was quite unprofessional and frustrating. After finding we had some damage to one of my rental car's tires, I contacted the Roadside Assistance hotline where I sat on hold for about 30 minutes. The agent I was speaking with told me that we could exchange our vehicle for a new one at the Dollar Rental car at the Brownsville airport. After driving to the airport we came to find out that that branch of the company had closed 4 months prior.

We then contacted the hotline again, sat on hold for 45 minutes until I was disconnected, called back, sat on hold for another 40 minutes, and were then connected to another agent. This agent told us to go to a different airport to exchange the vehicle and had us sit on hold to confirm with the new location that they were open and had a vehicle available. When we arrived at the new location 30 minutes later the agent at the counter said she never received a call or was contacted by the Roadside Assistance Agent we spoke to. Fortunately, they did have a car available (five hours after we first dialed the hotline), but it was certainly one of the most frustrating customer service experiences I have ever had.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

If I could give Dollar-Rent-A-Car negative stars I would. This is an embarrassment of a company with their horrible communication, hidden fees, lack of understanding and they are just an overall poorly managed "company". We booked a Dollar car through Priceline online...we decided we wanted to upgrade before the trip and they said "this was not possible until we were in person". Once we were in person, we upgraded our car and agreed to pay $500.48 for the upgrade, taxes, additional driver, etc... saying our total was $500.48. When we got home, we realized the $140 that we paid to Priceline was not deducted, which is NOT what the lady at the Dollar counter said. SO after talking with SEVEN agents and 1 supervisor.... We ended up paying $640.48 for a car for FOUR days.

The agents/supervisors have prewritten responses for "conflicts" and have no moral compass. The conversation is difficult to have as they sound like absolute robots. Don't trust, book or even look at their website. Also, does anyone know what a concession fee recovery charge is?!? It is about as much bologna as you think.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

If I could give zero stars I would.... The option of paying toll charges was not well explained at the rental counter. We were just asked if we would be encountering tollways and we weren't sure if we would be as we've not been to Houston area. And we were asked if we'd like to prepay the tolls or pay when we were done renting. Again, we weren't sure how we could prepay for a toll when we didn't know if we'd encounter a tollway road. So when we finished the rental, we specifically asked a worker how to pay the tolls and we were told they'd send a bill and info to us. No admin fee or other extras were explained or asked if we understood.

We received the toll bill for $13.25 and the admin fee of $90 and were shocked and disgusted. What a deceptive business practice. We have told all of our friends on social media and sent text messages to our close friends specifically telling them to never rent from this company or Thrifty Dollar. I know an admin fee may be necessary to pay staff but the amount is ridiculous and we are so disappointed in this company. The process of renting and the car and workers were amazing and I always leave great reviews when we have a lovely experience with a company but this was just so wrong.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I will NEVER be using Dollar rental again. We picked up our rental at MCO. Upon picking it up we were asked about the different "coverage" options, we stated that we did not want any extra coverage for anything. The employee said, "Ok, I just need you to sign declining the coverages." We did not receive anything to read over, just signed on the electronic pen pad. We were given a receipt and went to pick up our car. It was a new model car and we were happy with it, until we got in. For the entire week of having the car and driving with the windows down the smell of ** never went away. Also on day 2 the brakes started making the loudest squealing noise every time to even barely touched the brakes. It was so loud it was hard to have the windows down. So we either got to smell the strong ** smell or have our ears hurt every time we brake for the entire time we drove the rental.

Fast forward to drop off. It went smooth. Then once we flew home I realized there was an extra charge on our credit card for $33.99 per day totaling $169.95 for "loss/damage coverage". I immediately reached out via Facebook messenger to figure out what this was for. Upon getting no solution over the next 2 days. I called the customer service line. I spoke with someone and explained that we declined ALL extra coverages. He said that since we signed the receipt there was nothing we could do. I explained that we weren't given anything to sign. We were just asked to sign electronically for what we were told was the car pickup. I was told he could not help me.

The next day I (finally) receive a response via messenger and was told (rudely) that we signed for the charges, there would be no refund of the fees and the decision was final and to not reach out again as there would be no further discussion on the matter. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I would have expected more from such a large company. But lesson learned, we will be using another company for all our future rental needs.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information