1.20/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

1543 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I rented a car from Dollar and chose not to get the exorbitantly overpriced EZ Pass from Dollar. I figured I would just pay the tolls in cash. Unfortunately, in Mass, where we rented, most tolls are toll by license and what Dollar did not tell us is that it charges $15.00 plus the amount of the toll for each toll charged to the car. If you have a $1.00 toll it costs $16.00. If you have three $1.00 tolls it costs $48.00. We paid $110.50. Hope it was worth it. Will not rent from Dollar again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I went to Greensboro NC airport to rent a car. I was travel to my son football game. I arrived at counter around 745 and counter person continue to talk. Didn't ask for help at first. Then finally he did. He took my license and then asked me to swipe. Never told me total charge for the rental so I swiped my card. He stated it couldn't be read and that their chip part don't work and stated my card had chips and stated needed to speak to his manager. He stated his name was Nate, very unprofessional and just didn't try to assist at all. Call customer of the problem. They was no help, rude, stated to call back in morning. So I went down to another company and had no problem. I will advise anybody not to use the Dollar Rental Car in Greensboro NC...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

These people are thieves. I rented a car in Vegas and the kid said they'd put a deposit on the car which I thought was the share. NO! It was a charge for extra insurance that I stated I DID NOT WANT but stupidly initialed without reading as it was late and a long flight. They took advantage of me and raped my wallet! Shameful, Shady and despicable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Like so many have experienced before me, Dollar's toll policy is a scam. Period. They should be embarrassed as a company for their extortionist policy, and I want to share their costly deception with as many people as possible to dissuade people from using this clearly amoral company. I feel sorry for their customer service representatives who must be fielding complaints from justifiably irate customers all day. Its okay for a company to be greedy; just don't hide it. Just raise your rental rates if you want to make money, instead of being crafty extortionist thieves.

I rented a car for three days in Norfolk for a job interview. I stayed in Portsmouth. The route between these two places required that you pass through a cashless toll charging about $2. I was offered the Platepass at the desk, and declined as I had been accustomed to paying cash at tolls. At the time of the transaction I was unaware of the toll and that the toll was cashless, and furthermore the desk agent did not mention in the slightest the toll roads in the area or the penalty fees incurred by passing through them without a pass.

A month after returning my rental I received an invoice for $67 ($7 in total for four toll charges and $60 in administrative fees at $15/toll charge). I found this absurd. More absurd was the fact that after calling Dollar customer service, I found out that the plate pass cost was $15/day. Either way dollar was going to extort me out of this money. Over the phone they reduced my $67 fee to $50 which was the would-be cost of a plate pass for my 3-day rental. My advice is to do your research with tolls in the area. With the advent of cashless tolls, you are totally at the mercy of the often costly policies that are sneakily and exploitatively enforced by rental car companies.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I rented my car through Travelocity for a full size car rental at Dollar Car Rental company starting Oct. 12/17. It was a reasonable price for the 10 days of usage, until the scam was pulled on me. When I came up to the counter, Gregory (a service/counter person) served me. When I told him that I did not need any insurance, and that I was fully covered he told me to push the RDM button, as that is what he said that I should push if selecting "No Insurance". I foolishly did, not realizing that he had just scammed me to add $26.88 per day to my car rental costs!

He did not tell me there was any additional fee, of course! I did not find out until I looked at my final rental bill, and received charges for $301.12 additional over the already previously "paid for" of approx. $400.00 for this same rental, bringing my total rental cost up to $70.00 per day!!! I called Dollar and told them I had asked for "No Insurance", and all the customer service said they were willing to credit me was 25%, or $67.20 of the $301.12. Leaving a balance to pay of $233.92.

I called Travelocity, and they stated that they cannot do anything about this, but, would refer a ticket to their help desk. But, no ticket number was provided. I will be calling my credit card company to withhold payment, and not pay Dollar Rent A Car this money. I suggest anyone running into this same issue with Dollar, do the same thing. This is a very serious SCAM that they run, as the service desk personnel (eg. Gregory) made a commission on my trust of him as to which button to push! BUYER BEWARE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I reserved a rental car for a 4 day period (Oct 2017) with Dollar Rent A Car on Hawaii and got a quote for the price for the car itself and for the extra fee for delivering the car in another location (Waikiki) than where I would pick it up (Honolulu Intl. Airport) of 50 USD. I also understood that there would be additional fees for insurance... But these were not priced in the quote. The total was quoted to be approx. 200 USD for 4 days.

When picking up on the car everything was prepared and I choose the mid-range level of insurance waivers (not premium) without having them specified in price... And that's when I got ripped off. 200 USD for 4 days of waivers LDW, LIS, PAI, PEC... And I did not react until it was too late. My mistake... Just want to make sure that anyone that get a quote from Dollar, make sure to get a corresponding price quote for the insurance waivers... Because in my case they doubled the total charge. 200 USD for 4 days = 18000 USD per year = Rip off!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Reserved a luxury car at Houston intl airport, counter agent was useless, no info of value at all. The only thing she would tell me was that I had to have a gps unit as luxury cars don't have gps, I had to have a toll pass even though I wasn't staying in Houston and I had to have extra insurance as my national policy was not valid in Texas. She even went as far as to tell me that Texas has its own policies that I had to buy and those were the only policies that are valid in Texas. I was then issued a base model sedan, no leather seats, no gps, no keyless entry, no auto headlights or wipers, no features at all that are normally associated with luxury cars as per auto industry definitions.

When I questioned it I was told to get a luxury car I have to upgrade and pay additional rates for a premium luxury class. In dollars warped way of thinking luxury, full size, standard and premium are all the same car which is a 4 door sedan with air, cruise, pw and pl, nothing more. There is quite a price gap between the 4 classes but all are for the same car. Anything other than standard class is a rip off, they will lie to your face and laugh at you as you are stomping away. No refunds, no satisfaction. It is a shameless scam.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

When I arrived to get my car, I was asked "do you want the additional insurance coverage on the vehicle?" My response "No, I'm visiting family and will be riding a lot in my sister’s car." I proceeded to sign on the screen, she said my signatures was "for a compact vehicle" and "that I agree to return the car to a full tank." When I got home I noticed that my Visa card had increased and I suspected fraud. I found that they had charged me $134.94. I have my own insurance and would not be driving the vehicle except to and from the airport and 3 miles away to grab meals. I NEVER get insurance. I TOLD HER NO! So, they got me.

This is how they make their extra money. This was the first time using them and the last. I will be writing corporate. My flight was delayed getting in, nightfall was approaching and I have trouble seeing at night and had a long drive to the burbs. I should have re-checked the documents but I trusted them to be honest and not liars and cheats. AARP called them and they refuse to refund the money because they have my signatures.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I did a rental by Rentals Car of a Toyota RAV 4 at the store of Dollar located at Manhattan – 22nd Street, am December 11st, and I'd like to register a complaint about the clerk who picked me up at the Dollar store in New York. The clerk offered me a non-stop toll appliance and, as I found it very expensive, I informed him that I was going to use the car to go to Canada and asked how many tolls there were on this route. I was informed by the same that there would be approximately ten tolls to go and ten more to return. I then accepted the offer but discovered on the trip that there are only two tolls to go and three to go back.

I felt cheated and victim of an attitude of bad faith. In addition, the clerk did not explain to me that I had to open the appliance to get through the tolls and only after passing two with the appliance closed did I find out that it should have opened. I think it should be the duty of the employees who rent a vehicle to explain all the necessary commands for the correct use of the vehicle and its accessories. I was very disappointed with Dollar by the attitude of this employee and certainly lost a client for the next opportunities.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

They did not have the car I reserved and paid for. Was told it would take five minutes. After 30 minutes and no communication from anyone I asked for the Manager and interestingly enough the car showed up a few minutes later. Clerk in booth where I picked up the car was about as friendly as a North Korean dictator! I was never given the opportunity to decline the collision damage waiver and instead was sold some meaningless extra coverage that I thought was in place of the collision damage waiver. They really want to sell you all kind of extra stuff but other than that their communication was very cold and dismissive. Never again will Dollar be my choice.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I booked a car online for an 11 am pick up from Jacksonville, FL airport - my flight arrived early and when I went to the Dollar / Thrifty rental desk at 10:15 they informed me that if I wanted a car before 11 am which is what I booked the car for then I would need to upgrade and the fee would be an additional $14.00 per day for a mid size car or an additional $20.00 per day for a full size car. They informed me that my car was not available until 11 am and the only way to get one 45 minutes early was to upgrade. The customer service representative was very nasty and rude during this time. I declined the upgrade and chose to wait the 45 minutes - while waiting I walked through the garage where the cars were kept - there were plenty of economy size cars sitting in the parking spots and no other customers picking these vehicles up.

Once I returned to the counter to pay for my car, which they would not let me do when I was at the counter early - the customer service representative that I had dealt with earlier walked away from the counter and refused to serve me so I had to wait for the person in front of me to complete their transaction. Once I went to pick the car up, sure enough it was one of the cars I had seen when I walked through the garage while waiting. The car was full of dents, dings and scratches, along with damaged interior fabric. When I went to the kiosk to ask for someone to come over and make note of the damage I was handing a form with an image of a car and told to mark the damage myself and to turn the report in when I returned the vehicle. Again very rude customer service and very unprofessional. I will never rent from this company again!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

We landed in Atlanta Airport. Went to another rental car desk where we reserved an van to find out they had no car/vans nothing. Unhappy/upset went to Dollar Rent A Car where we were greeted with smile. Ask, "how can we help you" by Briana. She had a smile and helped us get a van in a matter of seconds... apologized for our inconvenience [other company]. Very happy with my customer service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I was to take a moment to relay to you the terrible experience we had at the O’Hare airport Dollar Rent A Car counter. We used Rentalcars.com to book our trip (we will never do this again), and we were not surprised by a few additional charges, however, our quote from Rentalcars.com was 124.00 and our total at the counter was $396. This is a huge difference. We were told a part of this charge was because we were late picking the car up and our rate had been changed to a weekend rate because of this. So we had the car for a smaller amount of time, still spanning a weekend, and yet we were charged more.

In addition to that, it was a Thursday evening (we had expected to pick up the car Thursday afternoon). The clerk went over to ask her manager if there was anything she could do and the manager gave us a disgusted look and then waved the clerk away. We also paid daily for a child seat and addition driver which we had put on our reservation with Rentalcars.com and were told was reflected in our original quote. Once we finally agreed to pay, because we had no choice, we got on the road. We were given no instruction about the I-pass and it was left open. We drove through three tolls, trying to pay cash, but the bars kept lifting for us and we couldn't figure out why, once we figured it out we had already racked up $45 in charges. I tried to call the counter at O’Hare to ask about it and got no answer.

All in all, the car was great, the original price was great, but unfortunately, the customer service and undisclosed prices will prevent us from ever using Dollar Rent A Car again. In addition, I plan to leave many reviews urging other people not to use Dollar either. We were not the only customers in the office who were frustrated, there was a mother and a few children in tears next to us trying to figure out why they were being charged so much as well. In addition to all of this, when we walked in the clerks were all talking to each other while helping customers, using curse words in front of children, and taking breaks to go make coffee.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I have rented cars all around the world including many cities in the USA but this was the most unpleasant. By the time I reached Dollar at Boston I had been on the go for around 13 hours and my internal clock was set at 03:30 hours so I was tired and not ready for the terrible customer service they provided. The staff were all rude and surly treating any question I asked dismissively like dealing with a petulant child. They informed me that the tolls were now electronic and that I needed an E-ZPass at $10 a day ($160 total).

When I told them I didn't want one as I didn't expect to use toll roads I was given no other option and told basically no pass no car. He then tried to sell me a number of extras I.e. upgrade, insurance, breakdown etc and when I refused all these he almost threw the electronic signature device they use at me and demanded I sign, but when I asked him to confirm there were no extras and requested clear information for what I was signing for he got really annoyed. He was unable to explain why I had been charged $14.66 (concession fee recovery) and a further tax of $9.17, I still have no idea what this is. As it turns out I did use the E-ZPass, to go through the Sumner Tunnel and then for two days on the i90 totaling at maximum $42 so they basically scammed me out of $118.

Never again will I use Dollar. They are shysters. However the real villains here to me are the state governments, that give car hire companies the opportunity to rob their customers yet another way. I have since found out that according to Dollars T&C's I did not have to accept the E-ZPass (best inform your staff). However they will charge your credit card, the maximum toll plus $15 admin fee for every toll you use. Thanks guys what great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Reserved vehicle through Orbitz. $116.71 for the rental period ($34.96 for fees& taxes) and $40.00 total for insurance. Picked up car from Dollar/Hertz in Lawton Oklahoma airport. I could not download my reservation and they wouldn't provide a copy. After driving the vehicle to my destination, I reviewed the rental cost and saw they had charged me over $51.00 per day for insurance or over a $100.00 per day for the car rental rate ($336 for 3 days)! I tried contacting them at all numbers available and even called the 800 number for customer billing complaints. The customer service people were less than helpful and said I needed to return to the airport to resolve this issue.

I feel the Dollar/Hertz company used bait and switch tactics on the fees quoted and the actual fees charged. I will stick with Enterprise car rental and never use a third party to reserve my vehicle! I haven't yet resolved this with the car company at this time, but I will fight this issue once I return to the airport and or through my credit card company rights! What a crock to pull this on customers! I will pass this on to all the people I encounter so that it doesn't happen to anyone else. Millions of dollars spent on advertisement to gain customers and they pull this stunt! Absolutely despicable!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I accidentally told the employee at Nashville Airport that I would be returning the car on Thursday. I came back before I picked up the car and asked to change it to Tuesday. He told me he couldn't change it but the person outside could. That person said that it would get fixed when I returned the car. I only had the choice of one car. I returned the car on Tuesday before they were open so there was no one to talk to. I got charged a penalty fee for returning early. They did fix it for me but I still paid a higher amount renting for less days than was quoted to me. I will not rent from Dollar Rent A Car again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I declined the Easy Pass option on my rental car for my biennial college pickup and drop off for my youngest as I prefer to pay cash. There are two tolls for my trip. One is $1 and one is $15. I drove up through a cash/Easy Pass toll lane for each toll and paid the required amount in cash. Weeks later, I received a bill from Dollar Rent A Car for about $69 dollars. When I called and told them that I had declined the Easy Pass option as I pay in cash, The customer service representative said transponder in the car had been turned on and that the "car" automatically records a toll fee when the "car" passes through.

I again explained that I had paid cash at the tolls, CS rep said the transponder must have been turned on. I explained that I didn't turn it on and in fact don't even know where it's located in the car nor how to turn it on. CS rep repeated that it must have been on as fees were automatically recorded. Therefore, it seems, since either a previous Dollar customer or a Dollar representative had previously turned on the transponder, I'm stuck to double pay both tolls (My cash outlay of $16 for the two tolls plus Dollar's charge of $69 for an Easy Pass purchase.)

AS A COURTESY the representative said that they would give me a one time only $15 refund. I am now personally out $70 due a service agent not checking to be sure transponders in a rental car are turned off after each rental. I have used Dollar for rentals over a 15 year period. Now looks like I'll have to begin renting from a nearby Hertz.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Very Deceptive Business Practices and Poor Customer Service; I now understand why Dollar Rent A Car, specifically the SEA-TAC Airport rental desk, has such poor ratings. Do yourself a favor and choose another company for your car rental needs. The people at Dollar do not care enough to provide quality customer service particularly at the SEA-TAC Airport location, and be very careful about making a reservation online.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I had an online reservation with Dollar car company at Orlando International Airport. I was quoted a price of $69 for 4 days. Was pretty happy with that. When I got to the airport to pick car up I was ask for my credit card and driver's license. Was never told my final price would be $220 until I saw it on the contract. Nevertheless I just went along with it because it was late at night and tired and didn't want worry too much about it.

I got the car Sunday night at 11:40 pm. Was due to return it at 8 am Thursday morning. I called Wednesday night try to get the car for one more day. I was told that would cost me $220 more to keep it. I asked about being charged for 4 days but didn't have the privilege of keeping the car for 4 full days which would mean 11:40 pm Thursday night. They said they couldn't do anything for me because I had initially stated a return of 8:00 am Thursday morning. What made matters worse is I was told I have 29 mins and 59 seconds after 8 am to return the car to avoid late penalties so I paid for a day but only had use just to take it back to them at the airport to avoid late penalties. They are crooks. I learned my lesson. Do they think I would consider doing business with them anymore or recommending them to anyone? Never ever. They are the worst of all.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I rent a car from you and on return day I left my cell phone holder in the car. I then reported it the next day. Why is it taking so long for a lost item within few feet of your office take 2 or 3 days to be found and reported to the customer. Or perhaps the guy who checked us in/out help himself to the item. I left my cell phone holder with suction cup on 7/13 at Aviation office and still have not heard if they found it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

What a shock it was to receive a bill for $59.99 for using a PlatePass - which ran up $4.00 in tolls. We thought we were supposed to use the PlatePass for our tolls! We thought it was convenient and went with the price of the car. Who in their right mind would knowingly choose to pay $11.99 a day for this service? They claim I declined to have this service. Isn't it easy for them to claim this - as how can you prove it? There is something wrong with a system that allows this type of thing to happen. THIS IS A SCAM AND BUYER BEWARE! No wonder there was no one in the Dollar Rent A Car line. They all knew better! Shame on you rental car companies who are not forthcoming in charges!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Booked a car rental thru them for Dollar Rental. Prepaid online $101.00, when I went to pick up car, was told there was no booking even though I had the email showing. I had to rent a car at the counter was charged $280.00. Was told to contact CarTrawler for reimbursement. I have called them 10 times, over 5 hours on the phone being passed from one person to another only to be given a case number which you can only email to the company and not call them. It has been a month and still no response from them. Between Cartrawler and Dollar Rental, they are ripping people off. They have no problem taking your money but when they screw up, they delay giving it back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I rented a car from Dollar Rental company at Century Boulevard near Los Angeles Airport on Sunday 9/10/17 by 4 pm. I made the reservation via Priceline website and my reservation stated on their website that I am reserved to have Nissan Altima or similar which is considered as a full size sedan in the rental company.

Upon my arrival at their office to pick up the car, the representative told me that I reserved a compact car not full size car, with his statements I suspected some false and deceitful information given to their customers. I even told the representative that my reservation showed that I am renting a full size vehicle for $138 per week (Sun-Sat). The representative later told me he will upgrade me to the full size car for free base on the same internet rate that I chose. He also told me that the insurance for the full size car is $17 per day, even after I told him that I do not need insurance since my credit card covers insurance for any rental car that I am using.

At this point, I asked the representative another question, "What if I decide to return the car few days before the due date, will they reduce my charge?" He answered YES because they will only charge me for the days I used their car and my total bill will reduce from $243 to the number of days I used the car. I used their car for three days and decided to return it because I was not satisfied with the car, I was billed $383.00 on my credit card after 3 days. I returned their car and when I asked why such a fraudulent charge on my card if I only used the car for three days, they told me that it is because the car was returned earlier therefore the rate I was billed before $243 is not going to apply.

I explained to the representative that their representative gave me a false information and they should return my money to my credit card. Please people should stay away from Dollar/Thrifty Rental car because they are deceitful and fraudulent and they are only after how to milk people's money on their credit card once you drive their car off their lot.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Rented a vehicle in Dallas Texas this summer. Landed in two tolls accidentally totaling $2 combined. Dollar charged me a "service fee" $30 ($15 for each toll). When asked if I could pay the toll company directly I was told NO. This is how they punish unsuspecting drivers who are not familiar with an area such as Dallas, TX that has tolls everywhere. I would have gladly paid my $2 toll but to add on an extra $30 is wrong. I will never rent from them again!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Rented a car drove 47 miles. They were rude when I pulled in to drop off the car. Then when my bill came they charged me for 5.7 gallons of gas. When I complained they said I must have used 5.7 gallons and I said I only drove 47 miles (maybe used 1.5 gallons) then they accused me of siphoning out the gas. Thieves!!! They are thieves - never rent from them. They are unethical.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I rented a car from Dollar Car Rental for 150 which was prepaid. When my flight was cancelled due to hurricane Irma and couldn't get a flight out for 5 more day, they wanted to charge 422 for the same car and the same amount of days. I am 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from the airport. I had to find someone to follow me to the airport and bring me back. Also will have to have someone take me back to the airport for my flight. Not very sensitive to the situation. Wasn't my fault, was a major disaster that happened. Also would charge me 800 to drop off a closer location. The first man I spoke with hung up on me when I told him that he wasn't being very helpful in a time of emergency. I think this is a poor way to run a business. I will NEVER use Dollar car rental again, nor will any of my friends or family.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Rented a car from Dollar over the Labor Day weekend. Final charges ended up being $87 more than original. Insurance charges that I specifically did not want. Won't be renting from them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Although I have no complaint about Dollar vehicle my dealing with their employees has convinced me that their policy is to fraudulently sign you up for additional services you do not need or want and then provide no recourse of fixing the problem, while lying and prevaricating in the process. I have made a third party reservation via for their vehicle for 8 days to take my family on vacation from Las Vegas to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite National Park. My estimated rate was about $200 and I expected to pay about $300 with an addition of all the taxes and service charges. I ended up paying $670 and this is how it had happened.

While being processed in Las Vegas by a very polite employee I was asked what seemed to be an innocent question: Do you want a basic or comprehensive insurance? Since no other option was presented to me and assuming that basic means just liability insurance I have verbally selected the basic one. Then I was asked to sign an empty electronic form and was handed over a package which I, being a trusting individual, didn't even review at the spot. Several hours later I have opened the package and was astonished to realize that I apparently agreed to pay for $26.88 per day of Loss damage waiver which I didn't want and $8.99 per day of Premium Road Service which I didn't need since I have this service from other providers.

Since it was already too late I have called them the next morning. They told me that I was to go to one of their corporate offices to resolve the dispute. When I had complained that I had different vacation plans they told me that I would be able to resolve my dispute when returning a car in San Francisco. However my attempt to do so in both San Francisco car return facility and by calling their customer service later on were rebuffed with the statements that since I have signed the contract I have no recourse. They refused to provide me with any compensation and practically didn't care of what I thought about their obviously fraudulent conduct. Bottom line is never to trust any Dollar Rent a Car employee. I do not know what their official claim is but they are not there to help you. Rather their goal is to rely on your trust to defraud you from as much money as possible. I will never deal with them again and will not recommend anybody to do so.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I rented a vehicle with Dollar for a family vacation. All started good. At check in for Dollar the guy was friendly until he kept trying to get me to upgrade to a bigger car, I repeatedly said no. We finally got our car. Perfect size, clean, a few scuffs and dents, but a good size car. We went about our vacation perfectly fine. No problems, complied with all rules of the road and paid all toll charges upfront. Anyhow when returning the car at the end of our vacation the lady representing Dollar scanned the car with a handheld device and said everything is fine, no outstanding fees or fines and she moved on. Now 3 weeks later I receive a letter in the post from ATS with a notice of a fine and of course the profitable admin fee for a $1 toll I apparently didn't pay, which I did. They told me If I don't respond they will automatically charge me, considering I received the letter on the day they charged me.

What made me contact them to detest this is the fact the tolls were paid and that they have not provided me with photographic evidence of the vehicle passing the tolls without paying. They must have some kind of evidence to support their case. So I look forward to hear from them to find out what rubbish they try to pile me off with. Also why did the rental lady tell me there was no fines, bunch of scam liars. I will never use Dollar again and will definitely not recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We went to Dollar car rental at the Seattle (Sea-Tac) airport. The man first told me it would be 1800 for 8 days. I said no way was I going to pay 81.25 dollars a day for a Camry. He then said he could rent me a Subaru for 14.95 per day. I told him that was fine. I left and my husband took over since he would be driving. Noticed he had given us a Camry instead of Subaru but not much else. When we returned the car 15 mins late our total was 1,793.99. Not only did he charge us the 81.25 per day but they gave us full coverage insurance when I had said no to the tune of 442.80. All the other taxes and such totaled 1,456.25. If that wasn't enough they charged 1,747.50 to my credit card because I was 15 minutes late. The lady I had called to say we were going to be late said just 20.00 would be charged. UGH!!!!

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information