1.23/5
Based on 107 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1603 Dollar Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

I rented a car at the airport in Tocumen, Panama, and drove with my mother (87), her nurse, and my daughters (19, 11, 8) to the northeast of the country, to Almirante. 8 days later, when we were returning from the Bocas del Toro Islands, we learned that we were trapped in the middle of a barricade that interrupted the road to David. The local protesters had no intention of reopening the road soon. After a day of waiting and noticing that the negotiations were not going to materialize to be able to drive back to Panama City, I contacted Dollar Rent A Car from Tocumen airport.

Not long after, Mrs. Izikmy ** from David's Dollar Rent A Car office took my call and in a very professional way began to study different options to help us leave the area to avoid interrupting our vacations and eventually losing the flight to return home. Mrs. ** answered my call asking for help with the seriousness and promptness that I expected. DOLLAR RENT A CAR of David has a great employee. And although all the coordination actions she did were unnecessary because the road was finally reopened and we were able to leave Almirante, I want to leave this note of gratitude because I think it is very important to highlight the good actions. THANK YOU IZIKMY ** AND DOLLAR, FOR ALL THE HELP!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I rented a car in Pennsylvania. During my trip I passed through several toll booths. None of the booths had an attendant to pay the toll and the car had some sort of pass mounted on the windshield. When I returned the car nobody mentioned anything about paying for the tolls. I was not informed when I rented the car about charges for tolls either. Since I could not pay the toll at the booths and there was never any mention of toll charges I paid my bill and left. Several weeks later I received a letter saying I owed $8.30 for tolls, which I understood.

However, they also said I owed $60 in fines for not paying the tolls. Since there was no way I could have paid the tolls I sent them a check for the tolls but not the fine and explained that I was not informed about them and in actuality since there were never any attendants I had no way to pay the tolls. Dollar has now charged my credit card with the $60 for the fine without my permission. I will never use this company again. What a disgraceful way to run a business.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 14, 2018

My son and daughter in law flew from Kentucky to Florida. They wanted to drive home to make some stops on the way back home. I decided to pay for their rental even though I wasn't going with them. The woman at the Dollar Rental at Melbourne, Florida airport said the cost was 380.00 for them to have the car for a week. I asked the woman if that included them driving to Kentucky and dropping it off there. She said YES and asked me since I was paying, to sign the paper. I was only allowed to pay with a charge card, no debit. I signed and when my son took the car back in Kentucky, was told that the numbers on the paperwork didn't add up and they couldn't write it up as returned.

They tried to call Florida, but no answer at the rental there. They told my son it was going to be in the 700.00s. When my son read the receipt, lo and behold, it said 700.00. They tell you it's going to be much less and then quickly ask you to sign. So I don't know how long it's going to take for my son to close out with Kentucky. In the meantime, I am paying for everyday that it takes. This is a scam and I don't know how they are getting away with this. When reading all of these reviews, everybody has the same complaint or similar. They need to be shut down. I am going on Facebook with this and asking all of my friends to share and have their friends share and so on and so on. I am also posting it on Twitter. Don't ever use Dollar Car Rental. Use Enterprise, never steered me wrong.

Original review: July 9, 2018

When I initially booked the vehicle (full size sedan) the price offered to me was $32.99/day (or $234.22 for 7 days). However when I arrived at my destination (LAX) I changed my mind and upgraded the vehicle to standard SUV (Nissan Rogue) for my family's comfort, I was told that the price went up significantly to $654.57. I had no choice but accepted to exchange for my kid's comfort and I thought that was the final bill. However when I returned the vehicle I was lost and late for my flight because this was my first time in California.

I ended up returning the vehicle at Burbank airport, about less than an hour away from LAX. There was no greeting, no counter and no final bill given to me. The man who worked there told me to give him the key and he said that was it. However; when I checked my email and saw the final bill went up again to $1021.55. I immediately called the Customer Service and made a complaint. The lady I spoke to said she was going to give me a 25% discount of the final bill and that the credit would have returned back to my credit card after 24 hours. Now 4 days went by and I still don't see the credits returned back to my card. It turns out what she said was a lie. So I got a feeling like I have been robbed by this Dollar Car Rental Place.

Today I made another call again and there was a different lady picked up the phone and I explained my situation again. The lady said the price went up because I returned the vehicle at the wrong location and the rate was up the Dollar to decide. Her explanation was nonsense and made me very upset. It has been a nightmare experience to get vehicle rented at Dollar place and I hope nobody else would have the same situation like mine. Dollar needs to stop robbing the customer and they are only allowed to charge the customer at the price when the customer agreed.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I rent from Enterprise and Hertz on a regular basis however recently I was traveling through Dallas and there were few options for rental cars so I ended up at the Dollar Rental counter. First - never rent a car with a "walk up rate". Apparently this gives the renter the ability if they should desire to charge exorbitant rates and the power is completely in the hands of the agent. I had the option of going to DFW (rented at Love Field) with an online rate and I should have done that. I will spare the details on the fact that they tried to charge me $270 for less than 24 hours in their rental car so I am going to focus on the toll scam.

I just received a bill for a toll in East Texas for $3.45 Toll plus their $30.00 administrative fee. This is going to be charged to my credit card. There is a business model for taking advantage of customers and getting as much as you can once but it should not be sustainable if enough people spread the word. I have never written a review of a company on Consumer Affairs but felt compelled to report this outfit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: June 28, 2018

The car was just fine. When I turned it in, it had a full tank. I asked if I owed anything additional, and was told no. Since then I have received one bill for $51 and another, updated bill for about $76. The bills are for under $10 in e-tolls. The rest of the bill is "administration fees"--$15 per toll. I don't know if I'll keep getting these updated bills, and the bills state that if I don't pay them, my credit card will be charged. Ugh.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I reserved my Dollar rental car online a month before my one day business trip and it was around $90. When I got there, I waited in line for 1.5 hours just to get up to the desk and see all the ridiculous extra fees I had to pay if I wanted to rent a car. These extra fees brought my new total up to $230. Two weeks later I get another bill in the mail saying I owe $100 more in Toll and Administration fees. Apparently I drove through 6 tolls (I only counted 1) and had a toll amount of $10.52, but I also had to pay $90 in "administration fees". So I ended up paying $330 to rent a car for 25 hours. I used Enterprise last week and only paid $79 to rent a car for 27 hours. I will NEVER use Dollar again and I'll never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I was charged exorbitant $15 administrative fee per toll charge. I wasn't made aware about it before signing the rental agreement. Overall, I had to pay $75 bucks of administrative fees for a total toll charge of 20 bucks. That's ridiculous and unacceptable. I'm never going to rent a Dollar car again and I would advise all of you folks to do just that. When I called their complaints department, the lady on the call argued and finally hung up on me. Unprofessional service!

Original review: June 23, 2018

OK this is the situation, my husband rented a vehicle for our family vacation paid for through Orbitz (DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM EITHER). Anyway when we went to pick up the rental near Albany, NY airport and got us with some extra fees such as insurance coverage just in case our insurance didn't want to cover and a bring the car empty of gas fee so the total was $194.10. OK fine whatever but had an emergency with one of my sons where we had to bring my son to the hospital and end up losing our flight (that's another story with Orbitz).

So we contacted Dollar Rent A Car to see if we can just continue with the rental and drop off in Orlando, FL because Orbitz wanted to charge us almost $2000 to get back to Florida because we did not purchase an insurance (BUT LIKE I SAID THAT'S ANOTHER STORY). So we spoke with a representative from Dollar Rent A Car, she told us OK that we can drop off at another location that there would be a $250 inner city fee, we ask the lady what would be the total price when we dropped off at the other location she told us $364 something don't remember exactly but it was in that range. When I look at my credit card statement there was a charge of $1062.19 to my credit card.

I called the exact day we dropped off the rental, hours later because I hadn't checked my statement but when I decided to look and I see a different amount being charged than what the representative had mentioned, I done had it. We called Dollar Rent A Car and spoke with someone, the only thing the representative said she could do was give me a almost $300 dollar refund for which only because the other representative noted the $250 inner city fee and not what they wanted to charge which was $546.48. I'm dissatisfy because I feel we was overcharged and plus I still have not received any portion of what the lady said they were going to return to my credit card and it's been 5 days already. I also brought it further as to opening a case with my credit card. Never will I work with Dollar Rent A Car or Orbitz.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The Dollar representative did not explain the EZ Pass system at all during check-in. If you are in the northeast or Texas cities or other areas with lots of toll roads, be careful ahead of time. If you activate the EZ Pass box on the windscreen for any reason, you will be liable for any EZ Pass tolls if you go through one of its lanes, even if you pay by ticket. If you plan to pay by ticket or cash the entire time, you do not have to pay the EZ Pass tolls as long as you never open the box; but if you slip up by opening the box and/or not paying one toll, the charge could be hefty and it's better to pay the $16/day comprehensive fee. My point is that it is all complicated and you need to know how to manage tolls on your trip. Dollar never mentioned any of this!

Original review: June 18, 2018

HORRIBLE! Thought I'd go with Dollar to save some money and ended up paying more. BEWARE of the add-on charges like the SAT radio - they charge you 47.00 unless you call roadside service to remove it! They also charge you crazy fees for tolls (.50cents will turn into $15.00). I had a flat tire around midnight, I called roadside and was told call in the morning! I contacted Roadside first thing in the morning. Then I had to deal with multiple repeated phone calls from tow company who was repairing tire. Well it took over 3 hrs from initial call to get the tire changed. Now I had to drive car another 40 minutes to swap out vehicle. A whole day of vacation lost because I had to handle what Dollar should have done! Never AGAIN would I use this company! Customer Service is the worst. Agent literally hung up so I couldn't leave feedback on customer service.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I just received a notification from Dollars Car Rental that supposedly I ran through a toll of 75 cents and they are charging me $15.00 and threatening me to charge $150.00. I know that I pay with my personal E-ZPass. The notification in any way mentioned the # of the "violation" for me to check on my E-ZPass account. On top of that I have a flat a few miles to drop the car, they charge me $40.00. I request the number of the "violation" to pay it if that's the case which I know is wrong, that toll have an arm and no one can pass it without pay the toll. Tires are part of the car and a flat has nothing to do with the renter (unless and accident and that why is related to an accident) but the rental company. I have been read and Dollars have scams on both of my allegations. Someone must do something about.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I booked a car from IAH - Houston International Airport for my flight was delayed by an hour. When I reached the Dollar counter it was closed. I had to book taxi to hotel and when I called the customer care to change the location for pick up, they were so unprofessional and rude. And the worst thing is that they not letting me pick the vehicle as according to them, time is over.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We picked up a car in Fort Lauderdale... an off airport location. The person helping us was Robert. He was one of the friendliest, helpful people I've ever dealt with... Give him a big raise! The car was perfect, clean and comfortable. I took pictures all around the outside having learned that last year with another rental car incident. We were informed about the tolls and I declined as I do not use those lanes on the interstate. But we went out to Key Biscayne and that was an automatic toll one way... I saw the camera flash.

I knew I would get a bill. I got it today. $3.00 toll and $9.99 administrative fee. They paid it for me. This is highway robbery! They can collect up to $90 in admin fees for tolls! I hope someone initiates a class action suit. The refund for admin fees for tolls would put this company out of business. I'm sure it's in the small print and I'll pay it... Actually, I'm going to let it default to my cc and then dispute the charge and see what happens. BTW the return of the car was also easy and quick with nice service.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Employees are polite. Cars are clean and cost is in line with other rental agencies. Some airports they are a little further to carry bags. Overall real good ratings.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I rented a car with Dollar in Memphis airport. I booked it online because it was the less expensive. I was supposed to pay 399.36 dollars for 13 days, for a road trip from Memphis till New Orleans. I made a long trip from Spain till Memphis before, I landed at 10 PM, I was exhausted. When I get the office, the seller told me to add damage waiver liability, theft waiver liability and excess amount, if not I was supposed to pay the loss or damage to the vehicle. It was not written on the website I should to add insurance and I really felt as scammed. If I knew it, I chose another company.

Then I asked for a refund but he told me it was not possible to get it. I clearly refused to add insurance. I paid in 266.31 dollars in advance + 892.68 dollars in the office!!!! It seems the seller didn't understand me to not add insurance! There is a big difference between 399.36 dollars I was supposed to pay and 1168.99 dollars I've paid! I didn't have the model of car I was expected. After I discovered I paid more because of a guarantee and they never stipulate it in the office! Never use Dollar, it's a scam, the employees are very arrogants, everything is done to make you think it will be cheap and at last, you understand you are misused. They mislead consumers.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I rented a car for my family's vacation and in the original reservation, I included a car seat. My sister decided to bring their own car seat so I called a week before our reservation and canceled the car seat. Seemed easy enough. When I picked up the car, however, they asked which car seat I needed. I told them this had been canceled and we did not need one. They said okay and had me sign the paperwork. When I returned the car a few days later, he asked where the car seat was. I told them AGAIN we did NOT rent the car seat. Again, they said okay. Today I received a $104 charge... FOR THE CAR SEAT. I called customer service and waited to talk to someone for 30 minutes. When I finally got a customer service rep, she was unbelievably rude and said there was no documentation that I had canceled the car seat and therefore, she wouldn't remove the charge. Unbelievable. This company is worthless.

Original review: May 24, 2018

In April I had to rent a car from Palm Springs, CA to make my flight in Ontario, CA. I only had the vehicle for about an hour and a half. Before I dropped off the vehicle, I filled up the tank and presented them individual with the receipt. I thought everything was good. I checked my account statement and I seen there was a $400.00 charge and I was confused on why I had this charge. I called Dollar Car Rental and they told me the reason for this charge was because I was smoking in the car. I told them they were highly mistaken since I don’t smoke and there were no passengers with me.

The representative told me that I had to make a complaint with customerrelations@hertz.com, so I did. Ms Toby ** replied to my complaint and pretty much stated that she has reviewed my case and their decision still stands based on their Terms and Conditions. I did file a complaint with my credit card company because what this company is doing is fraudulent and they try to get more money from consumers in the most fraudulent way. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was very dissatisfied. I had 5 different charges from them all. 402.34, 477.00, 28.00, 28.00, 112.00. All posted to my credit card. I have never had this happen and this is by far my worst and last experience with them.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Generally Dollar has been a friendly business to deal with. However, the prepaid booking email confirmation did not include a receipt. When I called Dollar to get a receipt, they sent me one, but it was only for the taxes and fees; it did not include the prepayment. So... I called again and asked for that portion of the receipt. The rep couldn't help me... Apparently these are handled through "CarTrawler". The good thing was he was able to transfer me, and I got the receipt, but the process was not pleasant. The first rep should have seen that I had also made a prepayment... I wouldn't have needed to call at all if they had proactively emailed me both receipts or had a way to self help on the web. I like Dollar so hope they fix this.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Please beware of this company. The person at the desk does not give correct information on your contract agreement. I declined almost every part of the contract except to have the fuel filled. I was told the fuel bill would be adjusted when I returned the car. This is not true. I did call and spoke to a customer service representative and he was able to give me a twenty dollar credit. However I returned the car with 3/4 of the tank filled based on the information I was told when renting the car so if you decide to accept the fuel part of the contract bring the car back empty.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I rented a car last December at Dollar. They wanted me to pay $50 for tolls which I refused. I said if I had any toll I would pay it afterward. Four months later, I received a notice from Dollar Processing Services, charging me $10.69. The amount of the toll was only $0.70... Yes, only $0.70 but they charged me $9.99 more for "administrative fees". I will never rent again with this company. I read many reviews and they are not reliable at all. I suggest you do the same in order to avoid unexpected charges.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Not told about Salik at the start resulted in 450AED worth of toll fees I would have avoided. Then when check out, do it together and told all is fine, am then sent a form with three blue crosses on it on the inside which we did not check together and were added after my signature. Only when I complained did they get back to say that all was clear. Very unprofessional, will not use them again and neither should you.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Never get into an accident in a Dollar car (or better yet, don't rent one). Had a minor fender bender. Dollar decided to total the car and charge me $7100. For a <5 mph fender bender. Refused to communicate with my insurance carrier. Denied my insurance carrier's request to evaluate the requested amount. Set an arbitrary deadline for payment and when my insurance missed it by 1 day (literally, because they had to do their own valuation of the car since Dollar refused to provide the information) they brought a lawsuit against me. Never stopped (to this day) sending me threatening legal letters via certified mail, which continue to this day, even after we paid. Now they are asking for legal fees and interest. I guess this is how they punish people who don't buy into their "buy our insurance" scam. Well done Dollar.

Original review: April 24, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!! My rental was actually part of a flight/room/car package deal so supposedly my rental was prepaid. After arriving at DFW to pick up our car, the clerk offered us an upgrade which he said was $7 a day, so fine yeah we did it. He then went on to explain we needed the $37 toll fee coverage since our route would have tolls, again I said ok.

He told us that if we didn't use any of toll fee I would be refunded, first lie. He then offered me Insurance, I said NO, he then went on to tell me I would be responsible for any damage and so on, again I said NO. He then told me to sign, I did, little did I pay close enough attention to the fact that he slipped that insurance in. When I asked about the estimated charges he assured me that upon returning the car I would only be charged for the upgrade and the toll if used... Needless to say they stuck me for $181 on top of the $60 I had already prepaid when I booked. DO NOT bother to call customer service. They are rude and useless!!! FYI they are owned by Hertz, so I will never rent from either company EVER again!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I rental an SUV from Dollar at the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, CA. The vehicle had a Toll Roads transponder attached to the windshield and I was told by the rental agent that I would be billed after I returned the vehicle for any toll charges that I incurred. Over a 7 day rental I incurred $20.58 in tolls. Because the toll reading was done by overhead reader and is billed directly to the Dollar Car Rental account there was no way for me to pay the toll at the time it was incurred. There was 6 separate tolls over the 7 day rental and each toll charge was $3.43. When I received my toll bill in the mail it came from an organization named "Dollar Processing Services". I was charges $90.00 extra in administrative fees on top of the $20.58. Each toll charge of $3.43 had an extra $15.00 added.

I was never warned of these charges nor was I given the option of making the transponder in the vehicle inoperable so I could pay the tolls myself. After contacting Dollar about these exorbitant charges I was only given the option of buying the daily toll plan at $11.50 a day. THIS IS THE WORST CASE OF CAR RENTAL FEE GOUGING that I have ever seen. Dollar should be ashamed of this practice.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I rented a car on 4/10 from the Orlando airport to rush to family member's bedside to say goodbye. I was in a state of distress and got the car and drove 2 hours to the hospital with my 3 kids as soon as I could. I dropped the car off on 4/12 and did not refill the tank because I had got the refueling option. After checking my credit card, they charged me $9.99/gallon for a total of $156.59 for a refueling charge. I called to ask for the fee to be reversed and the lady on the phone, basically told me that I told the personnel at the counter that I did NOT want the refueling option. She refused to reverse the charge, because it was stated clearing on the first page of the contract. I explained that if I thought I did not have the refueling option, why would I drop the car off without filling it up. She kept saying "I apologize, but you signed the contract where it is "clearly" stated." I will NEVER use Dollar to rent a car again!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

They are extremely deceptive. They show a price online and when you try to book the car it will not take the reservation, so you call them to book the car but now they will tell you they don't honor online pricing. So when you go back to try online booking again in the span of 5 minutes the price has now jumped almost 100 bucks. It's all the old bait and switch. Beware do not use this company. And customer service employees are useless, rude and ignorant.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Absolutely horrible customer service. So many problems with our rental from the LA airport. After day 1 of the rental we had to exchange our vehicle due a few things not working. We had to go out of our way to do the exchange then we were downgraded! Dollar's mistake and they downgraded us, who does that? 2nd Huge problem is the website indicates so many categories of cars but when you arrive at the location they combine some of the categories together. We booked and paid for a compact car (lower category is economy).

When we arrived at the location we were advised that they don't go by the website. They categorize Economy & Compact together, so why not FIX the website!!! Our 1st vehicle was a Hyundai Accent which had issues but then we had to exchange it and were given a Toyota Yaris. We were advised both vehicles are in the same category of cars! LOL - JOKE!! After contacting them several times during our week vacation and again after our return, they refused to do anything. Don't trust them, if I could rate them a negative # or zero stars that's what they deserve!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I reserved a car with this company with a debit card, then was told I couldn't use a debit card. Tried to cancel, was told I couldn't get a refund because of online reservation. Tried credit and they tried to charge me 40 dollars a day for insurance. I to make a phone call to complain. Was back and forth for 5 hours still no car. This went for 24 hours. Was denied car rental because 24-hour deadline was up. Was charged 200.00 on my debit card when I was told they didn't accept debit. Was told at desk 101.00 was deposit. Told on phone the whole 200.00 was for the car. No car no refund. Researched, found out that debit is accepted. I got the RUNAROUND LONG ENOUGH TO GET RIPPED OFF!

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information