Dollar Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Booked a rental car online to pickup in New Orleans and drop off in Houston. The rate I expected to pay was tripled by the time they added 8.00 per day so my husband could drive it (out of all the rental cars we've rented that was the first time we've ever been charged for an additional driver...) and then they added in some sort of base insurance fee that I didn't want but was told it was mandatory. What started out as a 180.00 rental rate was up charged to over 600.00. The car we got was old and had issues also. I feel ripped off and angry. Never again will I deal with this company or Thrifty or Hertz as they all seem to be related.

I am (still) having a very bad experience in tracking an item that I left in the car. I left a garage opener in the car (where the ashtray area normally is). I had called the rental car immediately after I returned the car and returned home (I am 100% sure that the item was in the car). I filled an online lost & found form, received an automatic reply, and then called several numbers, until I finally spoke to a person (703-519-8703). She advised me to fill the lost & found, which I had already done. 1-2 hours after I had filled the online form, I received a second email notifying that they have not found the item (which was very strange, as I know that I left the opener at the ashtray area).

I spoke with the representative on the phone, and she gave me very confusing response: that (1) no way that I could have received that second email, since she is the one who sends these emails, that (2) this takes about 24 hours to investigate, and (3) when I mentioned that I was confused, too, and that I have this e-mail, I gave her the details of the item lost, and she said she'll "look into it." 4+ days later, I have no news from Dollar, nor from this representative. I have no idea what happened to my garage opener (which would be a major pain to get it if I lose), and no resolution.

Today 1/9/17 I called the main customer number/lost & found in the website (703-549-1438), and the one number where I could speak with a person last week (703-519-8703). This time, none of the numbers worked. They prompt to transfer me to a department (e.g. rental counter), and nothing happens/nobody responds, either this past week (called 9 times), or this week (called 5 times). Overall, terrible customer service/follow-up. Even reaching someone is a major hassle.

Adding to the long list of complaints related to Dollar's policy of charging a $15.00 administrative fees per toll amount they pay on behalf of their clients, I can add my own negative experience to the list, as an unsuspecting car renter... This particular experience took place at the Orlando airport, which is signficant in that as soon as you drive away from the rental area, you are essentially on an expressway. Having been to Florida many times before, I have always been cautious about ensuring I had money to pay at the tolls, and this trip was no different. We used the toll roads sparingly but always used the "cash" booths to pay our share. So needless to say I was a little shocked when I received a bill from Dollar Rental, advising me that I owed them $50.50 for 3 unpaid toll charges that totaled $5.50.

In researching the unpaid tolls, and Central Florida's Expressway website, I suspect we may have traversed through the land of their fairly new "All-Electronic Tolling" initiative, which essentially means you are incurring charges without a visible indication. Certainly, I did not go through any of the E-Pass booths. Of course, contacting the Expressway authorities was a waste of my time, as they naturally suggested I deal with the rental company. And the rental car company of course is protected, since all weary travellers signing for a rental car have nothing else to do but read every chapter and verse of their accordion rental agreement "book", which essentially is there to protect the company and justify their ludicrous policies.

For me, that was just 1 more reason to never use Dollar rent a car again. The first reason came upon arrival at the initial counter visit, where the courteous agent tried to upsell me on pretty well everything that he could... When I thought he was done, he asked whether anyone else would be driving. Although not planned, I asked whether my wife would also be permitted to drive, and he said no problem, just needed her license details, etc., which were provided. It was only after receiving my accordion contract agreement, and reviewing it prior to going to select our vehicle, that I noted he had charged me an additional ~$96 for including my wife as a driver. This little bonus was NEVER mentioned to me during our conversation.

After discussing briefly with my wife that there was no real benefit to having her as a driver, I then rejoined the line, and by the time I was served, was told the 20 minute "change period" had expired, which set off a whole new, complicated process to delete this added charge from our contract. Too bad these events tarnish the memories and reputation of Florida, but in my opinion, they certainly do.

Same as every other person. At the counter people complained about the same behavior. I did not want extra charges and THEY STILL ADDED INSURANCE. Had to pay additional 69 dollars. Asked for a refund. They issued me a voucher SIGNED BY THE MANAGER of 1 and yes ONE DOLLAR - it was outright a fraud. Called at least 10 times and spoke to customer service manager. No explanation - on why this was added. And Mind you of the 2 people me and another person before me in line at the counter they all had the same issue - required refund due to NON ASKED FOR INSURANCE. AND my car had Transmission trouble - Ford Focus clocking between 1st and 2nd had trouble driving it and considered NOT SAFE. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK.

I am a Spanish regular visitor to your lovely country, but my last trip to USA was a complete disaster because of this horrible rent a car company. I rented a car in Las Vegas and told the guy of the front desk to add the "Pay per plate toll", describing my route to him (Las Vegas, down to Los Angeles and then up to San Francisco). He charged me with 90 dollars for that. My surprise came a month later, when back in my home I received a 15 dollars fine for passing through a toll in Los Angeles, plus a 15 dollars bill that "Dollar Rent A Car" charged me with for that communication via regular mail. I have been complaining for that charges since I received that letter, and the only reply I get from them is that "some tolls are not included". As I told them, I was not informed about that at the time of the rental. Besides, I told the guy to include ALL THE TOLLS.

If someone could please help me with this I would be very happy, as I am Spanish and I do not know how to solve this. They have threatened me all the time, telling me that if I do not pay, I will be included in some kind of blacklist and will not be able to rent a car ever again in the US. I told them that I would be happy to pay that fine if they give me back the money I paid for the tolls, but I do not find it fair to charge me for the tolls AND the fine, as I hope you may understand. I know that 30 dollars is nothing compared to this woman's charges, but my 30 dollars, plus everyone's others dollars, mean a lot of money. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

I went to Dollar Car Rental at Vancouver Intl. Airport and I picked up a Toyota corolla with the snow tire option, and I inquired about the fees, asking, "Are there any other costs with this car rental?" And the man at the counter said "NO, no other charges." Well, they charged my credit card an extra $300, and when I called about this, they said, "well, those extra fees are in the contract!" So they LIED to my face, and ripped me off. NEVER GO to this FRAUDULENT PLACE!

I rented a car and asked about a toll pass. The agent indicated, "I am glad you asked about that." Put me in a smaller car and said he got me in for the same price with the toll pass. Just got a bill for $48.63 for not paying tolls. $45 in administrative charges plus $3.63 for tolls. Called them and was told I didn't have a toll pass - whose fault is that! I had asked for one. Never renting from Dollar or any of the affiliates again.

We booked a trip to Kauai, Hawaii, and booked a car rental at the airport. Upon our arrival (we were late landing), we were discouraged to see the Dollar Rent A Car desk closed. As a consequence, we took a $150 CAD ride to our hotel, and an additional $150 ride back to the airport the following morning to pick-up our rental car. Upon arrival at Dollar Rent A Car, we were told that the kiosk had remained open to accommodate our late arrival, however the pick-up location was approximately 1 KM away (photo attached of the desk with NO signage about the pick-up being a mile away).

The lack of communication about this in all previous transactions with the company and the additional money we had to pay to pick-up our car was completely inappropriate. It should be the company's responsibility to ensure their customers are able to easily purchase/pick-up the goods they signed up for. When sharing our feedback with an attendant at the location, we were met with a piss poor attitude and no sympathy. We would absolutely NEVER rent with this company again.

I rented a car from Dollar Rent a car. I requested the model that was on my online confirmation. I later found out they charged me $100.00 for an upgrade. Then a month after I returned the car I was told I was responsible for a $2.75 toll charge but that there would be a $30.00 processing fee. They are absolutely the WORST car rental company I have ever used. I will never and I mean never use them again. That's what the service is worth. $1.00. I can see where they got the name from. THIEVES!

When I made the car rental reservation by phone, I paid (their request) $54 and they told me I'd need to pay the rest (taxes, etc) at West Palm Beach when I picked up the car. And that was $42.90. additional. Why I didn't complain then was because I didn't have much time while the Dollar agent kept babbling, going on and on about upgrading which got me pissed off. Later I realized that I actually had paid them a total of $96.92 or about $50.00 more than they said the totals would be for a 2 day rental on an economy car which they advertise as $14 @day. What a rip off! Thanks to my Citi credit card, they removed the second $42.90 charge. BTW, I learned Hertz owns Dollar! And so I say Hertz is a disgusting, rip-off company.

If you rent a car in South Florida beware of the toll scam. Either rent the SunPass for ten bucks a day or pay $15 towards every toll...even the toll booths that are unattended!!! I just receive a bill for $60 admin fees for going through four unattended tollbooths (you can't pay) that cost $5.14. Dollar Rent A Car has figured out a way to extract their ten bucks a day no matter what you do.

Rented a car with Dollar and even though I told them I had my insurance and they managed to charge me for something that's not insurance but they claim it is like insurance. I declined insurance did not understand why I was charge for something else. The fact that the customer service representative was rude, made me believed that she was used to people calling and complaining. I am done with them.

So upon arrival at the moderately busy Miami International Airport location I was shuffled from speaking to a human to a videophone station. Which was a fine option if the handset had suitable volume and the customer service representative spoke at an audible level. Not hearing exactly what she had to say I just yes'd her to death in order to get out of the airport. While driving I noticed a toll coming up and was ok with it since I had small bills on me. Surprise some Florida Toll ways don't have the option of paying cash. I had an immediate panic but was ok since I noticed the SUN pass was attached to the window. Well one month later I received a bill which they already charged me for $48.43 which included $45 in "administrative fees". I called the company and attempted to get the fees waived stating my future business with them and they said no. I will not recommend or utilize their services in the future. HOW IS THIS LEGAL!!!

Rented a car from Dollar (owned by Hertz) recently. Used a credit card. Arrived for drop off and had some extra time before flight. Had quite a bit of cash on me which is rare so I decided to pay cash for the car. Paid cash in the office which took a while, only one employee who had to sign into computer and computers were slow. $158. Dollar ends up double-charging me the $158 on my credit card. Shame on me, I didn't get or lost the cash receipt; however, whole transaction was on video camera. Bottom line Dollar made no effort to pull video tape or check their computer transactions and stuck me with a double payment. Completely unprofessional response. I would never waste my time for $158 if I wasn't being taken. They will never get my business again.

When we checked in at the airport in CA, and went through all the paperwork, we declined the fuel charge of $38.00! However when we received our billing on the credit card, they charged us for fuel... The tank was FULL when we dropped it off. When I called them to inquire about this, I was told we accepted the fuel charge. When I informed them that no one ever checked the car upon return, even though there were 10 people running around, she told me I would need a receipt to verify it was full! Well one month later, I did not have the receipt anymore as we paid cash!!! Was this a ripoff??? Yes! Perhaps they do not have proper staff that knows what they are talking about, or is it just a way to rip people off!! BEWARE PEOPLE! I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!

I rented a car from Dollar rental car out of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. I booked a month in advance and chose my options which included NO insurance as my personal car insurance policy covers vacation car rentals. I arrive in Atlanta on time and arrive at the desk on time. I go through the process of the contract and when we reach the insurance portion, I emphatically deny the insurance and repeat it to the clerk, a guy from Jamaica. I get my contract with an estimate of $261.99 which is close to the cost when I booked a month prior. At the end of my rental I return the car and get a charge of $255.

Well, lo and behold, I check my credit card statement and see a booking deposit of $194 which was supposed to be absorbed into the final cost. (I'm laughing now) I look and see the $255 charge also for a total of $449.00. They somehow slipped in the insurance fee at $29 per day. Clearly the clerk knew what he was doing and I assume gets a cut of the insurance deal. With that I emailed Dollar rental and got the standard "you signed for it" response. I guess I'll have to suck it up and count it as a loss but rest assured I WILL NEVER RENT FROM DOLLAR NOR THRIFTY AGAIN!!!

Booked a car to drive in Calgary on Dec. 14, 2016. Was quoted a price for a car but when I went to pick it up, I was told, it was highly recommended I upgrade to a car that had snow tires. There were four cars I could have a choice of which had bald tires and my agent would recommend that I take the 5th car (the only one on the lot) that had snow tires. I asked him, "do you mean the rest of the vehicles did not have snow tires?" He said no, not in Alberta. Ridiculous with -22C temperatures and icy roads. So I could upgrade for an extra $15.50/day for a safe vehicle. Why was I not told that when I booked?

Rented a car in Biloxi, MS on 12/2/16 for 3 days. The charge was $55.56. However when I got my credit card bill I was charged $543.61. To get a hold of someone to fix this mistake has taking over 2 hours!!! I have still not gotten a solution. I was charged $74 for gas and $400 for smoking in the Kia Rio. First I filled up less than 1 mile away the cost was $6?? I only drove 100 miles! I was told I brought it back with a half a tank of gas. I begged with the people to think about it. A Kia Rio would not burn a half a tank of gas going a hundred miles. However I was charged $5.99 a gallon 14.5 gallons of gas. The Kia gas tank only holds 11.4 gallon! The Kia gets 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway. That is average of app. 31 mpg. I am blown away that the 4 people I have talked to could not do the math to figure out this is felonious charges. I have to come up with the $6 receipt for the gas I bought at the Shell gas station.

They offered me a $25 credit towards the $74 and gas that was the best they could do. As for the $400 charge for smoking in the car we did not smoke in the vehicle. I know many people would say that they didn't to avoid a charge, but 100% honest we did not!!! There is no way to prove we did not unless we go on Steve Wilkos and get a lie detector test which I'd be willing to do. I can't fight the gas and the simple math shows they are incorrect they must have mixed up vehicles but as for right now I'm stuck paying over $543.61 for a $55.56 car rut your airplane. I do this once a you just park the car in the spot come give him the keys and cut your airplane. I do this once a month. I've used Enterprise and Hertz. Never had a problem. I will never ever use Dollar rental car again and as for customer service there is none! Buyer beware.

My experience with Dollar/Thrift Rental Car service in Montgomery Alabama was THE WORST rental experience I have ever had. I had a rental reservation (**) that I made about two weeks prior to the pickup date (5 December). When I arrive at Montgomery I got to the counter and before I can even say a word, their "customer service rep" tells me..."we have no rental cars available." I said to him, "Sir, I have a reservation." To which he replied (direct quote here). "You didn't hear me the first time, I said we have no reservations." I then ask him what I am to do and he tells me (quote here) "You will have to figure it out."

There were about 1-15 of us in this situation and we were told to call one of 3 taxi cab companies. James Taxi Service, Paul's taxi and Yellow cab. All of us called and were told due to the weather and the day, taxi service was limited. I was told it would be about an hour. After an hour of waiting, in that time (3 taxis total showed up). I called all of them back and was told it would be at least another 45 minutes. After waiting another 45 minutes only one other taxi showed up (there was a line). It was now 10 PM and I had to be up at 0530 for work the next day.

I went back to the "customer service counter" and the guy working there told me..."just see if you can pay someone to give you a ride who is getting off the next plane." Left with no other choice and after having waited for now 2 hrs, I did exactly that. I had to pay a stranger $80 FOR a ride. The next day I lodged a complaint with Dollar and was told even though I had a reservation with a confirmation number, that did not mean I had a reservation. I filed the complaint and gave a full account of my issues. Long story short, they told me and others, we needed a receipt.

Why in the hell would I make something up when the whole issue was a result of them not honoring the reservation I had... I told them I wasn't looking for even money to be compensated but would take the equivalent of what I paid in rental car fees/services. I called corporate and had about the same "customer service" with Sharita as I had before... horrible!

I travel A LOT with my job and this was by far THE WORST rental experience I have ever had. Had they taken care of me and made this right, I would have chalked it up to just a one off but the manner in which this was handle and their lack of caring or willingness to make it right has lost this customer for life! Total joke of a company who obviously does not care about their customers!

Rented a vehicle from them in Texas. Was told that we didn't need a pass for toll roads, if we avoided them. Every road is not clearly marked so you have no idea whether it is a toll road. Thought we only went through 2 tolls. Weeks later I received a bill for two tolls. Each one occurred a $15 charge for toll of less than two dollars. I'm ok with that. The following week I get another bill for 3 more tolls. Go to the web site to look at the vehicle supposedly going through tolls and the web site is under repair. Hmm. I know that this may not all be their fault, but they should let the customer know how the tolls work for that area. There are no toll booths to pay at, and before you can get off you are already on them.

We made a reservation at Expedia with following information. Pick-up - 11/25/16 9 am, 2500 Mason St, San Francisco, CA. Drop-off - 11/27/16 3:30 pm, 5630 Arbor Vitae St, Los Angeles, CA. The pick-up store was closed on 11/25 Thanksgiving and we didn't get any notification before that. We called Dollar at San Francisco Airport (SFO) and the agent told us we could pick-up the vehicle at SFO with same price. It took us the whole morning to finally get the car and we had to delay our scheduled trip. When we returned the vehicle at LAX, we found the agent made a horrible mistake: he changed our return location from LAX to SFO! We had to pay additional $400 due to daily rental rate increase from $86.52 to $179.88. We've already talked with the Dollar manager at LAX (around 2 pm 11/27) and he told us the only solution was to let the SFO branch to change the daily rental rate.

We then called the manager on duty at SFO (around 2:30 pm). She is the worst person I talked with. She gave me a feeling that your company is reluctant to solve this problem. This case is your fault because no one told us the local Dollar was closed on Thanksgiving. No compensation for our wasted time and money. Now you charged us $400 more for your mistake. This is ridiculous! Hope you can help us solve this problem. Thank you so much!

First of all, I have been a Dollar Express member for years and have always had excellent services at the Orlando Airport until October 17. My reservation was for a full size car and I was able to take my pick from several. I chose a Ford Fusion. From the airport, I drove directly to my hotel to check in. When I tried to lock the car door with the remote, it didn't work so I manually locked the doors. When I returned to the car, the remote would not open the doors and I could not locate a lock in which to use the key. It turns out the key fob was not programmed as the panic alert did not work either. I call Dollar thinking they would send someone to exchange key fobs but they sent a lock service never telling me I would be charged.

The lock is well hidden on the new Fusions and unless you're familiar with the Fusion it is almost impossible to locate. When I received my bill at the end of my rental I was charged approximately $80 for the lock service and called Dollar to complain. Their response was, "sorry but they're not responsible". That is the end of my relationship with Dollar. I will NEVER rent from them again.

I am very unhappy with my experience with Dollar car rental. I went online to make my reservation from start date 11/14/2016 until 11/20/2016. My bill and total would only be $171.06. My total, when I go to Puerto Rico the girl at the counter tells me that my total for the car rental would be $334.00. I questioned as to why and she told me that that I was being charged $1.95 a day for trpp, $10.95 a day for sli, $19.21 for transp rec fee, $1.16 city tax, $12.21 for state tax, $1.39 a day vehicle battery rec, $3.89 a day vehicle excise charge, $4.95 a day and keep in mind these are charges per day and subtotal came to other charges $217.62. Grand total of $334.00.

The only reason that I did not put up a fight at the time was that I was tired from the trip wanted to go see my family which I had not seen in 5 years, but I did mentioned to the girl at the counter I have my reservation and the total that I have for those days is $171.06. She said it does not matter that the charges that she was imposing are the correct ones. It's unfair and I think that if the prices are going to differ from what you reserved online that they should advise you. I will never deal with this company again. They just lost a customer. I would like to get advice on what to do. If there is a case, I am not trying to create a problem just want to be treated right. Money does not grow on trees for me to throw money away like that. I have the receipts and the reservation for the $171.06!!!

I booked this through Rentalcars.com for early August. The hotel informed them that we would be an hour late. On arrival found it had been sub-contracted to Dvocek Car Hire. There was no car and we had to go to the Airport to pick one up. So wasting over two hours of our holiday. Car was fine. We damaged a wheel and the tire. It was about four weeks until this showed on my credit card statement. I have an excess insurance with Car Hire Excess and the claim handled by OSG Group. The latter has been excellent in this showing patience but obviously wanted to see the invoice. I tried to get an invoice but no success so I asked Rentalcars.com to obtain one. I also asked it to find out why I had to go to the Airport. I never have received an answer to the latter.

I passed these enquiries to Rentalcars.com and only received the invoice on November 12th. Then it contained a charge for out of hours. I have decided to give it all up now as it takes too much of my time. A cheque was received from OSG two days after I sent the invoice. Obviously I would not recommend Rentalcars.com as they appear unable to control the companies they use, nor Dollar or Dvocek Car Hire. I highly recommend Car Hire Excess with OSG handling the claims.

Upon arriving at the airport we were told we could not use our car insurance that does cover rentals, we had to purchase their insurance. There is NO WAIVER sheet for us to sign. We must get that insurance. We went upstairs, chose a car that had to be returned before we pulled out. Chose another. Did not notice the hairline crack in the windshield. Ended up paying for it with the insurance we had to buy. So 1st they could not find our prepaid Expedia rental on the computer so we paid 189.00 prepaid car rental and 260.00 when we arrived in Houston, Texas for insurance and toll charges. So Nov 17 to Nov 21 our car rental cost us 449.00 total. Never have to worry about spending in Texas again. Will never visit.

I frequently read complaints, so to you complainers, Dollar, Airport location was great. Nov 6 to Nov 20, 2016 - I was served in 5 minutes, had a choice of 5 cars in full size premium. Took Maxima with 2,000 miles, very clean. No surprises on price $327 all in for two weeks. Return was smooth, charges were all correct and service was outstanding, all it is usually with Dollar in Orlando where I have rented at least 8 times. Way to go Dollar!

You falsify your rates to customers. I reserved a car for pick up on 11/09 and picked up the car 1.5hrs early. Apparently with Dollar, this will change your daily rate. They don't tell you upfront they are changing your rate and it up to you the customer to catch this lying and deceitful way of doing business. I have rented multiple cars in my travels with various companies and have never encountered this way of business. I work for a major airline and will post a review of this experience on our internal website. You will never get my business again and I will adamantly advocate against Dollar every time a travel conversation comes up.

We rented a standard SUV in Phoenix, for a week, that was rented on-line and paid for in advance. When we arrived at the rental counter the young man tried everything in his power to get us to accept a more expensive vehicle, (for more money than the additional rental). We repeatedly told him NO, and asked for the car we had already paid for. Finally he agreed and had me give him a credit card and sign the waiver. Imagine my chagrin when I returned home to find a $502 bill charged to my credit card, from Dollar.

When I called to complain they said I had agreed to an upgrade and by signing the credit card slip I became responsible for the $502, (even though I repeatedly told him NO), and that even if he did lie to me or deceived me, I was still responsible and had to pay. They told me that upselling (after hooking you with low-ball pricing on the internet) is a common practice in the car rental field and they can't control what their ticket agents tell the clients. NEVER AGAIN will I rent from Dollar!

NEVER rent a car with Dollar Rent A Car! We had a terrible experience. We rented a car with the E-ZPass that did not work. We got fines for not having paid the tolls on the way to New York, even though we had rented and paid the E-ZPass for that. We tried to arrange this problem with them and they insisted we had to pay. We disputed the charge with the credit card but finally they won the dispute and apparently we have nothing to do but paying those fees. If you don't want to have trouble when renting a car, NEVER use Dollar Rent A Car. Their customer service is terrible and they will try to charge you as much as they can. It's not worth it.

I rent a car from Dubai international airport terminal 2 on 11th of October and returned on 15th. I paid extra money for full coverage and there was small scratches around all of the car when I rent the car. I didn't hit or cause any damage to the car until I returned it, and when I gave the car back your staff said everything is OK and made me sign on a tablet. But they charged me 700 USD (2400 AED = 2.000 Turkish lira) for those scratches that I didn't cause.

I called your branch a Airport Terminal 2 and they said I did it and I had to make a police report. If I hit the car I would call the police and make a report because I paid extra money for the FULL INSURANCE to not pay anything for these kind of things. And your staff on the phone hung up the phone because of there was a customer in there and he said he was going to call me in 10 minutes and he never called me back (it has been 20 DAYS). They don't reply my emails also. And I forgot a bag in the car at airport. There was an expensive professional digital CANON camera and 2 piece of women clothes that I bought as a present from GUESS and the said they didn't find anything in the car but I am sure I left it in the car!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.
  • Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.
  • Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.
  • Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.
  • Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.
  • Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Compare Rental Cars