2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2020

Booked a car through CarRentals.com and picked up at the Dollar Rental Car counter at Orlando International Airport Feb 28th 2020. My issue is "Not" with Carrentals.com. It is with Dollar. I agreed to adding on the "Fuel Option" to my agreement and only that. I Did not agree to adding anything else. I signed the estimate and went on my way to enjoy my vacation. It wasnt until I actually received my credit card statement that I saw I was charged from both CarRentals.com and Dollar Rent a Car. Looked at my estimate and final agreement from Dollar and then noticed they had on there that they said I had "agreed" to LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) $271.92. $33.99 per day. If I was actually asked, I most definitely would deny this option. But they charged me for it.

First call to Dollar, I was on hold for 35 mins before a rep came on. Talked for a bit and she put me on hold again a few times and then the call just ended. Almost an hour of my time spent on the phone for nothing. Next day, called again. Spoke to another rep and then a supervisor. I was told "I am sorry, but you signed the estimate and you have returned the car and it is now a "closed" contract. We can not give you a refund. Next time You should read everything and ask questions."

Read several reviews on here on this exact situation that happened to others . So it sounds like a fairly common practice for them. So they know what they are doing and are doing this intentionally to get more $$ out of people. Apparently they are getting away with it. Never again. Please do not go to Dollar Rent A Car. They will try to fleece you, if they can get away with it!

Original review: April 30, 2020

I was unclear how to pay for using ezpass in the rental car. It was not explained when I rented the car. I made two phone calls and was told I could pay through NJezpass. This turns out not to be the case. Now they want to charge an additional $80 for handling the tolls. What a scam! I have contacted the company numerous times and they just blow you off. They take no responsibility for giving me erroneous information.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I reserved a Dollar Rent A Car online in early January 2020 for a trip to Jacksonville, Florida. Our February 7, 2020 flight from BWI to JAX was delayed by 1 hour and 45 minutes due to the weather. Upon arrival, I went to the Dollar Rental counter and provided my information along with my automobile insurance card to the clerk. She processed the transaction and said that she "took care" of the auto insurance. I signed off on the invoice unfortunately. The clerk advised that we would receive a refund of $200 when we returned the car. The $200 credit referred to an additional $200 added to the bill and not to the insurance amount. I disputed the charge but was denied since I signed estimate. I didn't need the auto insurance through Dollar and believe this is a scam. The clerk made no effort to process my request but instead charged the additional amount that Dollar Rental provides. A very disappointing and costly experience. I will not rent with this company again.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Rented a car in Boston on 2/17/20 - returned 3/2/2020, paid by credit card. Two week later received a letter from Dollar Processing Services telling me that they had paid tolls attributed to my rental use and tacked on $40 worth of 'administration fees' that were due in 12 days and that they would charge to my credit card if I didn't otherwise pay them. Nothing was addressed or advised at the rental counter about tolls, and we have never had this problem with any other rental companies at Logan.

When I tried calling Dollar Processing Services to complain about the charge I was told that they had nothing to do with it and I would have to speak with Dollar directly. I called Dollar, was cut off several times in the process, and eventually was able to connect with an agent. He told me I should talk with Dollar Processing Services. When I told him I had and they told me to talk with him, he put me on hold and I was cut off. Calling back, I was cut off again. On the third try I spoke with an agent and ask to talk with a supervisor. I was cut off again. Calling back, I was told that no supervisors were available but one would call me back within 24 hours. After not being called back for 24 hours I called again, spoke to an agent and was put on hold for about 5 minutes until a supervisor came on the line and told me that they had no visibility in 'their' system of the tolls and administrative fees could not be waived.

Original review: March 16, 2020

We rented a car for pickup at Stuttgart airport in Germany. The price looked right. Two problems. One, the receptionist told us that no one that had held a driving license for less than a year could rent a car - per Hertz (parent company) policy. I am 61 years old and have been driving for over 40 years - but I moved to Nevada from California in mid 2019 and so have held a Nevada driver's license for less than a year. Fortunately I had a photo of my old California license on my phone and that was deemed to be evidence enough - although I would have been stuck if I did not happen to have the photo available.

The bigger issue was that we were told that - per Hertz company policy - we could not rent the car without also signing up for all the related insurance coverages. That had the effect of more than doubling our rental expense. Nowhere prior to our rental had I been informed or notified of this requirement - nor have I seen it with any other car rental company. It all seemed a bit scammy to me. I won't be renting from Dollar or Hertz again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: March 15, 2020

When I picked up my car rental at the Jacksonville Airport I saw one of the attendants sitting in a rental car smoking and talking on her cell phone. I asked the other attendant about her smoking in the car and she said it had just been dropped off and was going to be completely cleaned. I thought this odd and said so. When I got my car it smelled like weed and smoke. I told her and she said it had been cleaned. Not to worry. The car was dirty and smelled. When I turned it back in they billed me a $400 cleaning fee because the car smelled like smoke. My credit card company is disputing this charge and I will never use this company again.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I find it astounding that Dollar and Priceline would play the blame game and refuse to postpone a booking, or provide a refund, during this pandemic. Their excuse is the specific destination is not subject to a government announcement. Don't they know that pandemic means everywhere. Just takes a good crisis to show their true colours.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I used Dollar Car rental for the first time. I gave them the benefit of the doubt despite some of the BAD reviews. I received an amazing quote for SUV at the location at phoenix sky harbor airport. The check in process was pretty smooth. They sent me out to the parking lot to a Nissan Pathfinder. Not a bad vehicle. The front and back bumper were heavily beat up and dented. I told the guy at the gate and he said we know they get damaged from people taking luggage in and out. Okay, its only rental no biggy, I moved on.

Fast forward to the return date. I arrive at the airport at 330 am. The gentleman walks around the car checks and says you are good to go. I asked about a receipt he said he would email me. 3 days went by no receipt. I check my credit card statement and I was billed almost double the amount. I call the car rental place. You cannot talk to anybody at the location. I believe it was a call center in another country. I call the guy said he will send me a receipt right away and open a ticket for someone to call me from corporate. I said cant I talk to someone now. He said NO. He has to email corporate and they will contact me.

This time I receive the receipt via email. I was appalled went I saw the receipt. I returned the car on a Monday at 330 AM. It showed I returned the car on WED 11:47 am. Which was impossible as I was already back home. They charged me a late fee each day and double the daily rate of what my special rate was. I called back furious. Told the guy I see what happened. He explained he noted it in the email to corporate.

3 days went by and nobody contacted me, so I called my credit card company to dispute the overcharges. They went ahead and refunded me the difference. Then I started getting collection notices that dollar rental sent me to collections. I called back and then they said they escalated to corporate, then I receive an email from some guy who has a title of team lead who tells me nothing they can do as I reported them to my credit card. I responded it makes no sense. They said, "If you retract your dispute from the credit card company we will be able to assist. Otherwise there is nothing further we can do."

So then I call the better business bureau to get involved. They were able to contact someone at corporate and forward me their response. Dollar rental said: we are sorry to hear this happened, we ceased all collections of your debt with us. We have contacted the location and will develop a plan go forward. The better business bureau asked me I was satisfied. I said no, they never acknowledged they made a mistake and ignored all of my communications. They should refund me the whole amount of the car rental to make this right. They went back to them with my response. I was informed by better business bureau they have lost contact with them and unfortunately must close out the case. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE DO NOT RENT AT ANY COSTS.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Rented on Priceline for reasonable fee. Added driver and insurance for the day we needed the car. Car had a flat, but the Premium roadside assistance was a joke. Ended up having to fill tire and back track to get a new car at an airport. They gave us one from Hertz because Dollar did not have a facility at this airport. THEY WOULD NOT BRING US A NEW CAR OR FIX THE ONE WE HAD. WE WERE RIGHT OFF THE HIGHWAY!! Ended up taking a couple hours to get a new car which made us a couple hours late returning the car. Well afterwards we received a bill charging our company for an entire additional day of

1) Additional operator
    2) Added insurance
    3) Premium roadside Service
    4) A Concession fee was added
    5) A Customer facility fee added

6) A Energy surcharge fee was added

Dollar Rental was completely aware of the car problem and reason for late return. We disputed the charges but were denied. An absolute pathetic means of getting additional money out of customers. We have not used Dollar in the past and clearly will never use them again. Hope this helps save other travelers money. Side note, we never get the added insurance or roadside assistance but due to possible weather conditions decided to be safe. Will never do that again either. Back to National Rental Car

Original review: March 11, 2020

Watch out for this scam. Had to rent a car from Kansas City Airport to go home for a funeral. I went through the Kansas turnpike. I paid my tolls cash. Dollar charges my card $111.23 for toll violations. I called and they told me that there's no way I paid because there's only digital cameras and no person to take cash. The cars have gps and they know when you go through a toll road. And just because I went through one they charge me, not knowing if I paid. Never using them again. Total **.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information