2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I rented a vehicle from SLC to Las Vegas through Dollar Car Rental. At the time, I spoke to the counter attendant and they said whether I dropped at Las Vegas or Phoenix, both options were the same price ($603) since it was out of state. I decided to go to Phoenix so I called and spoke to Alex (ID **) who gave me a new quote - $326 extra - so I asked to speak to a manager. He assured me that a manager would call back in 24 hours - they did not. I again called and was given the same story - no call back.

When I returned it in Phoenix, I told the attendant who again reassured me that it would not be an extra charge. When I got my final bill - I had an extra $678 charge. I reached out to executive customer service multiple times and they said my calls never took place despite phone records and said that they can reprice a contract whenever they want.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Felicia at Memphis, Tennessee airport is very rude. I asked her for her name. She said Felicia. I asked for her last name. She said, “you didn’t need to know y’all that." She makes personal phone calls while assisting customers. I asked for a supervisor & she called TSA to escort me. Very unprofessional!!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I rented a car from Dollar Rent a Car at the beginning of the year as I was planning a trip to Florida to see my elderly mother. Then the pandemic hit. Because of the virus, I had to cancel my plane reservations and rental car as I am just getting over cancer and at a higher risk. I contacted Dollar rent a car and they told me that they would give me my money back. What they did not tell me was that they were going to keep $50 of my money. I tried to reason with them and explain to them that I was going to be visiting my elderly mother at a later date after things were safe in the world but they did not want to hear it. They just told me that they were going to keep my $50 and that was that. I think that sucks.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Rented a Dollar rent car through Expedia at DFW airport. From the moment of check-in it was problematic. Because it was less than 24 hrs since the original rental and not a corp. account they made us purchase their insurance. We are a company, we have our own insurance. We did as they asked to get our employee on the road. He turned the rent car in the same day at the Houston Hobby airport, making sure to fill the car with fuel. Dollar charged us $95.29 for fuel that was not needed. Stayed on hold with that location twice and was rudely hung up on when trying to explain the issue. Went to DFW location to try to resolve the issue and was told to "call ** Houston! What do I look like? Customer Service?" Wow! Watch your receipts for bogus charges. You won't get it back easily.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Went to the counter at the CAE airport in Columbia. I went to the counter and did my reservation while standing there. I put in all the necessary info and paid. I was charged $219.07 plus $55 for insurance. While waiting for her to get confirmation, I checked my email and my account. I got the confirmation and the receipt. After standing and waiting she tells me I owe $389. Um what?! She said they never received the payment. I showed the confirmation and the receipt. She's obtuse. I was so pissed that I immediately called my credit union and filed a claim. That woman had the nerve to question my making the reservation, even as she stood there reading it. Long story short, they claim they didn't receive the payment and expect me to pay an additional $169. That is a no. I contacted my credit union and will be getting my money back. This is a clown company.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I had been searching to rent a van all day. Every place was out or required a major credit card. Finally I reserved a minivan with Dollar rental car in Chattanooga TN at 12:30 pm. Reserved for 2:00 pm. The website said everything checked out and I could pick my vehicle up at that time. We went 45 minutes out of our way just to get there and they tell us they don't have any vehicles period...so it took them 2 hrs to realize they reserved nothing and couldn't call me to inform me.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Booked a car through CarRentals.com and picked up at the Dollar Rental Car counter at Orlando International Airport Feb 28th 2020. My issue is "Not" with Carrentals.com. It is with Dollar. I agreed to adding on the "Fuel Option" to my agreement and only that. I Did not agree to adding anything else. I signed the estimate and went on my way to enjoy my vacation. It wasnt until I actually received my credit card statement that I saw I was charged from both CarRentals.com and Dollar Rent a Car. Looked at my estimate and final agreement from Dollar and then noticed they had on there that they said I had "agreed" to LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) $271.92. $33.99 per day. If I was actually asked, I most definitely would deny this option. But they charged me for it.

First call to Dollar, I was on hold for 35 mins before a rep came on. Talked for a bit and she put me on hold again a few times and then the call just ended. Almost an hour of my time spent on the phone for nothing. Next day, called again. Spoke to another rep and then a supervisor. I was told "I am sorry, but you signed the estimate and you have returned the car and it is now a "closed" contract. We can not give you a refund. Next time You should read everything and ask questions."

Read several reviews on here on this exact situation that happened to others . So it sounds like a fairly common practice for them. So they know what they are doing and are doing this intentionally to get more $$ out of people. Apparently they are getting away with it. Never again. Please do not go to Dollar Rent A Car. They will try to fleece you, if they can get away with it!

Original review: April 30, 2020

I was unclear how to pay for using ezpass in the rental car. It was not explained when I rented the car. I made two phone calls and was told I could pay through NJezpass. This turns out not to be the case. Now they want to charge an additional $80 for handling the tolls. What a scam! I have contacted the company numerous times and they just blow you off. They take no responsibility for giving me erroneous information.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I reserved a Dollar Rent A Car online in early January 2020 for a trip to Jacksonville, Florida. Our February 7, 2020 flight from BWI to JAX was delayed by 1 hour and 45 minutes due to the weather. Upon arrival, I went to the Dollar Rental counter and provided my information along with my automobile insurance card to the clerk. She processed the transaction and said that she "took care" of the auto insurance. I signed off on the invoice unfortunately. The clerk advised that we would receive a refund of $200 when we returned the car. The $200 credit referred to an additional $200 added to the bill and not to the insurance amount. I disputed the charge but was denied since I signed estimate. I didn't need the auto insurance through Dollar and believe this is a scam. The clerk made no effort to process my request but instead charged the additional amount that Dollar Rental provides. A very disappointing and costly experience. I will not rent with this company again.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Rented a car in Boston on 2/17/20 - returned 3/2/2020, paid by credit card. Two week later received a letter from Dollar Processing Services telling me that they had paid tolls attributed to my rental use and tacked on $40 worth of 'administration fees' that were due in 12 days and that they would charge to my credit card if I didn't otherwise pay them. Nothing was addressed or advised at the rental counter about tolls, and we have never had this problem with any other rental companies at Logan.

When I tried calling Dollar Processing Services to complain about the charge I was told that they had nothing to do with it and I would have to speak with Dollar directly. I called Dollar, was cut off several times in the process, and eventually was able to connect with an agent. He told me I should talk with Dollar Processing Services. When I told him I had and they told me to talk with him, he put me on hold and I was cut off. Calling back, I was cut off again. On the third try I spoke with an agent and ask to talk with a supervisor. I was cut off again. Calling back, I was told that no supervisors were available but one would call me back within 24 hours. After not being called back for 24 hours I called again, spoke to an agent and was put on hold for about 5 minutes until a supervisor came on the line and told me that they had no visibility in 'their' system of the tolls and administrative fees could not be waived.

Dollar Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

Since 1965, Dollar Rent A Car has grown to include more than 570 locations in 61 countries worldwide, including approximately 260 locations in the United States and Canada. As a part of The Hertz Corporation, this brand belongs to the largest airport and general-use car rental business worldwide.

• Seasonal specials: Dollar Rent A Car offers various discounts for seasonal travelers. For example, summer renters can get 10 percent off a weekend rental, the most popular days for vacationers to rent a car. The Silver Club offers a 5 percent discount for drivers over the age of 50.

• Dollar EXPRESS: This convenience program is designed for customers who don't have a lot of time to spend at the checkout counter. Dollar EXPRESS is a free program that lets users skip the line and go straight to a rental vehicle.

• Easy reward redemption: The Dollar EXPRESS Renters Rewards program makes earning rewards easy and redeeming them even easier. Buy 16 days of car rental and get a certificate for one day free.

• Business rental plans: The Corporate Rental Plan offers locked in rates with no peak season highs and lows, while the Flex Rate Plan gives users a five percent discount on the price, along with a three percent rebate for dollar.com bookings.

• Multi-month rentals: In addition to low monthly rates for long-term rentals, Dollar offers multi-month options with convenient monthly billing. Ideal for workers on a temporary assignment, Dollar offers rentals for up to 11 months.

• Many makes and models: Dollar Rent a Car features 16 types of rentals from economy cars to convertibles and open air all-terrain choices.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information