3.7/5 (523 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

COMPLETE SCAM! Booked this "LUXURY" car (Infinity) through Orbitz. We get off the plane and to the rental car desk. They immediately started the grift with the claims they could not take credit cards. They refused to use the credit card on file. They took a debit card and without any notice RAN A CREDIT CHECK and took a $1,000.00 deposit! Further, after this complete scammer behavior, they drive up in a Nissan Altima that smelled like a bong! There was cannabis water in the ashtray and residue throughout the filthy car! It smelled like a smoke box! THE CAR WAS FILTHY INSIDE AND OUT! They marked the car as having a full tank of gas when it was at 1/4, claiming the gate attendant would "make a note", LIE!

We asked for a refund on the spot and they refused, saying that because the credit card machines were down we would have to get a refund at another location! We drove two hours to the other airport location to get a refund and were then gaslit to go to ANOTHER LOCATION! The loop of lies continued and we were told we could only return the fraud car to the original location 2.5 hours away! Dollar Rental Car never returned any of our correspondence, other than an email that claimed they were reviewing our complaint...three months ago! How are companies like this in business?! DO NOT RENT FROM THIS HORRIFIC SCAM!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Dollar decided to bring replacement for disabled car from a location that was very far away. Then they put the tow charge on MY CREDIT CARD! Now they are balking at issuing a me credit even though It was their decision to replace the car and from where to bring it. I first contacted them early evening and it was mid morning the next day before the replacement arrived.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

After I returned the car they took 3 times the value with no authorization from my card. They use fake price and fake number. I usually use another company, and I decided to try Dollar because the price. At the end they show me how to feel angry and disappointed with a rent a car company, that never ever happened before in my life. They are terrible.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

The pickup line at LAX for Dollar (Thrifty) car rental was more than 4 hours! I have less than 24 hours to stay in LA, I decided to dump the plan and use Uber instead. When I called Dollar to cancel the reservation, I was told to cancel through Expedia (where I had booked). I contacted Expedia after my trip, was on the chat for more than 40 mins, the Expedia agent could get connected to Dollar, she had to transfer my request to Expedia's offline team and get back to me up to 10 business days. I will never use Dollar or Thrifty ever!

Worth of mentioning at LAX, the Hertz car rental which shared the same office with Thrifty (Dollar) had no line at all. They have online checkin through app. Their rental car was ready to drive away at the parking, all check in through their mobile app. No need to contact people behind the counter at all. Although their cars for that day were all rented out, it's much organized, no one who had paid their rental had to wait in a long line to pick up their car. Never Dollar, never Thrifty. That was enough.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Do not rent from them!!! We declined the extra insurance and she added it anyway. After a 4 hour flight with 3 kids we just signed the paper so we could get the car and leave. They charged us an extra $300 for insurance we did not want! Customer service is awful. They could care less that we were scammed.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Just came back from my trip 2 days ago. These guys are not to be trusted. They lied that the vehicle would be cleaned...yet totally the opposite. Came real early to pick up the car. There was very little lighting. My family was in a rush on our trip, it wasn't until we were on the road that we noticed how dirty the rental car was. There were dog hair on the seats, a water bottle left from previous renters. Overall, the inside of the car disgusted me. With Covid19 going on, these people care little about consumers' health. It's definite they didn't even sanitized the inside as well. Don't ever rent from Dollar Rent A Car unless you want the same experience as me.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I prepaid for a Dollar rental car three months in advance of attending a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. We flew into Reagan National Airport, took the bus to the rental car garage and found about 30 people waiting in seats, floors and everywhere in between. When we got to the front of the line for our prepaid car at our appointed time, we were told no car was ready. This was the case for all of the angry customers in the area. An hour later we got a car. Car was decent and the drop off after the fact went smoothly. At the time of rental however, we found over $100 of taxes and fees had been tacked on to our "PREPAID" expenses. When you add that on to the cost, DOLLAR, which we chose for having the best rates, actually were far from the best rates. Shady business dealings here when you claim one rate then pump it up at the counter.

Also important to note. DOLLAR is owned by HERTZ. Those customers waiting all around us were a smattering of DOLLAR, THRIFTY and HERTZ customers. Thus I shall be boycotting all three in perpetuity. Read all of the other reviews here. You will see a consistent corporate behavior at locations throughout the US. Terrible company.

Original review: July 29, 2021

These guys are the Spirit Airlines of the car rental business. Never again will I rent a car from these losers. I was scheduled to pick a car up at the Philadelphia Airport on 7/16/2021. After taking the shuttle to their lot, we noticed a large number of people (approximately 50) standing in line waiting outside of the small rental office. It was 95 degrees that day and it 2 1/2 hours to reach the front of the line. These jerks didn't even offer bottles of water to stay hydrated. On top of that, all sorts of hidden charges, such as taxes and 'fees' became apparent. These taxes and 'fees' were never disclosed on the Dollar website when I reserved the car months prior. Bottom line....BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: July 22, 2021

My family told me upon arrival that Chicago Illinois crime rate is at an ultimate high. My family told me out of town license plate tags are definitely targeted to rob & possibly kill the occupants. If the local residents/including employees of Dollar rental knew about this escalating crime, then why did they issue me an out of state plate vehicle to drive around in with my child? I'm glad I visited family outside of Chicago 1st, because they warned me to not drive to Chicago in that vehicle. When I spoke to the members in my family in Chicago, they offered to meet me outside of Chicago without me telling them I wasn't driving to them. This should have been asked at the Dollar rental counter by the agent if I mind getting out of state tag car with the criminals targeting them.

It also should've been explained about the cash tolls being obsolete since Covid in 2020. I will never forgive Dollar rental for putting our life in the cross hairs of criminals with that out of state license plate car. Hopefully you'll care more about the renters in the future in the Chicago area than a profit because if customers get killed off, who will Dollar rental have to use their services? Dollar rental's non-verbal actions was wreckless & endangered human life.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Arrived on evening flight to LAX and waited in line for over 3 hours to get rental which was already paid for. There were only four attendants on duty and they were not at all trying to move the line any faster. The vehicle I requested was not available. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL of the extra fees they sneak in. I rejected the fuel fee and returned the vehicle on a full tank of gas. When I got my final bill 4 days later I contested the fee and Dollar customer service refused to reimburse me.

Original review: July 17, 2021

All the bad reviews are true, had a car reserved-got there they had no car, so we had to get what they had left, a full size SUV "Kia Sorento is was it was" $250 for one day, next day we returned with no issues, days later were charge $ 336, for late fee's, we returned car 20 minutes sooner than were suppose to and can prove it with our phone app. Called 1800 number they said they would have to check the camera's, still nothing, you call the number back and no one answers, complete awful experience, if I had enough money I would buy the company, fire everyone and sell it off, truly pathetic customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Horrible customer service! Not sure how they stay in business. Rented a car at Charlotte airport, at an exorbitant price, and headed to counter. Two 70 somethings, one using a walker, the other pulling two suitcases and assorted carry-ons. Followed signs to Dollar - different level. Trekked down the long hall and surprise! Terminal closed. Sign on door said go to Hertz - yup back the way we came.

Drove from Charlotte across I-77 to Virginia to see relatives. Toll road in Statesville area. No problem I thought. Toll reader on windshield so any minor tolls would be added to our rental, right? NOT! This customer gouging outfit actually charged $45 "Administration Fee" for $3 in tolls. Obviously they have no concern about Customer Service or future business. In Florida we have similar toll devices - actual tolls charged, not ridiculous bogus Admin fees! As if a $1,000 week rental weren't bad enough, they add insult to injury. Stay far away from Dollar. They must be financially wrought to be so greedy as to add these fees.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Don't use them. Scammers! I rented a car from Dollar way in advance and paid in advance, except for extra charges that I would have to pay for on the day I picked up car. I rented car for Saturday pickup at 1:00pm. I arrived around 1pm and waited in line until 5:30pm. I was sent out to get my car, and waited for 1 hour before I got it. I left the parking lot at 6:30pm. I returned the car early morning at approx 9:30am on the day I was supposed to dropoff, and they charged me a 2 hour late in fee.

I called the billing department to tell them that I was early in dropping off the car and I should not be charged for the 2 hours late in, when I waited to get my car over six hours late on the first day, which made me miss my conference meeting on that day. They said they don't give partial refunds, so in order to get my money back on my card, I would have to pay them the entire car rental fee first. Which was over $600. I did not want to pay that again. I even asked about a voucher, since I travel often and rent cars all the time, and they said, "No, we don't give out vouchers." Such a scam and RIP off. I will never use them again.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Dollar was closed, redirected to Thrifty, long line. The car was ok a little sticky under the e brake. But I noticed a chip in the windshield and was unable to contact anyone to inform them of this. So I didn't stress about it took a picture and enjoyed my trip. I used Google maps to direct me back. But it took me to the wrong location. Then I didn't know I had to return the car to Hertz so I drove around looking for dollar's return area. I rented the car at 10:46 and returned it at 11:19. I was charged an extra day! Even though Google maps and poorly marked drop off locations were the reason. Now they are contacting me about the windshield!

Original review: July 14, 2021

We reserved a small car for a weekend business trip in Phoenix, AZ. It was a long hot shuttle ride to the car rental building, and the experience was about to get much worse. We walked in only to find that Dollar was closed down with a sign pointing us to Thrifty -- where the line was very long. After waiting 40 minutes to speak with an agent at the counter, he told us that our car "wasn't there yet". We were told to wait until we received a phone call from them -- likely 10-15 minutes, but could be 30 minutes.

When I walked back up to the counter at the 40 minute mark, he told me the car still wasn't there yet, but it would be coming soon. When I asked if they had any cars to rent -- "Yes or No" -- he was evasive and dismissive. Totally unprofessional! We decided to change plans and Uber it to our hotel instead. As we were checking into the hotel we got a call from Thrifty telling us that our car was now available to rent. I told them to stick it...

Original review: July 14, 2021

I reserved a one-way car rental from DFW using telephone customer service. After I flew to Dallas, I stood in line for an hour with agitated customers because Dollar oversold their inventory. I was denied my car rental on the basis that I didn't have a return flight. The rental itself was $875 and I needed to give a $500 deposit which I was able to do, but the manager stated that the telephone customer service is outsourced to another company and the agents are poorly trained. She stated that a policy change had occurred in April and they no longer offer one-way rentals from DFW airport. A one-way car rental reservation can still be booked online with the company but they have not announced publicly that they don't honor these reservations. I incurred significant expense for hotel and return airfare.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Called to ask about the status of a car that I had rented. The representative was very condescending. When I asked if I could be transferred he asked "Why"? When I told him he was being rude to me he said "No one else can help you". When I raised my voice to be transferred I was told to "** off and then hung up on. When I called back I spoke to a rep named "Ces" (no id number cause apparently one isn't needed) I asked him to speak to a supervisor. He politely listened to what happened and tried to help. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the answer was like all others. "The manager is in a meeting and can't speak to you." All I wanted to do was cancel and get a refund. Instead I was treated like straight up **. They won't give me my money back for a refund 'cause I never got the car!! There's NO ONE in the US to talk to, the operators could care less if you get a car or not, they hang up on you when you need help.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I rented a car for two days. The lady at the front desk explained that there would be a 591 dollar deposit, which I considered to be extremely high compared to other companies. I paid the deposit, and asked her if I need a toll pass. She stated no, and from the airport to the hospital, there were no tolls. She was wrong. She also tried to charge me for insurance without my knowledge, and I asked her why did the price change, and I told her to take the company's insurance off of my bill and that I will be using my personal insurance.

I drove through the cash lane to pay, but no one was there. I received 3 bills in the mail. The tolls were 1.75, 2.75, and 4.50 which is not a problem. The "ADMINISTRATIVE FEE" is the problem. I just received the bill today which is July 10. I did not neglect to pay for the tolls. Why an administrative fee? The administrative fees are 16.75, 32.75, and 49.50. Please do yourself a favor. Do not rent from this place. Dollar Rent A Car is a scam company and it preys on people who wants to save money. That is why the name says dollar. The deposits are extremely high.

Original review: July 8, 2021

We booked a pay-in-advance rate for a car/hotel through Priceline with Dollar Rent-a-car at SAT. Upon arriving we waited almost an hour in line to get to an agent. She was rude, snarky, and would not allow us to have the car although we were completely within policy. She even asked us to call our credit card company and allow her to talk to an Agent, which we did, and our CC Agent did, authorized a transaction and the Agent then said, No, I don't think so. She was unreasonable, at the very least.

We had our whole family there and was willing to even take a lower class vehicle that would fit our whole family and she refused us service stating policies that were NOT included in Dollar's policy. I'm not sure if she was having a bad day, singled us out, or just generally did not like her job, but she ruined a good portion of our first day of vacation and caused us to incur $800+ out of pocket to rent a vehicle thru enterprise. She humiliated us for no reason & made horrible remarks to us. No one should ever treat anyone the way she treated us. I would never in a million years refer anyone to this company.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I made a reservation through carrental8.com and purchased additional collision/theft insurance on top of my car insurance. I thought those two will provide enough protection. When I get to the rental car I couldn't find my credit card. Since I reserved a 7 seater SUV. I was told that I cannot get a car that big without a credit card. Debit doesn't work. After discussing my options, they agree to give me the car with my business debit card but I had to buy additional insurance from them. I tried to convince the agent that my two insurances will provide enough coverage and I don't need a third one but they refused to rent me the car knowing I was desperate to get the car. I had no choice and I purchased the insurance from them.

I called customer service to complain but after listening my complains, he told me that I agreed to take the insurance offer and told me he cannot help me and hang up the phone on me. Originally I thought the person who processed my rent was trying to play a game to make his commission but after talking to the customer service I learned that it is Dollar's policy. I believe they took advantage of my desperate situation and played bad. I will never rent from Dollar anymore.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Waited 2 hours to pick up the rental car!!! The rear window came out of the track with window down!! Waited 45 minutes for service to answer and got only ”I will have a supervisor call you”. As if two hours ago, no one has called!!! We cannot lock the door!! Praying it does not rain!! Never Dollar again.

Original review: June 26, 2021

No instructions on how to get to the rental company from the airport besides asking one of the employee at the airport. Waited over an hour in line to pick up the rental. They only had two people working at the time. I told them I had a reservation through Priceline for the vehicle and I already pre-paid for it, they charged me an additional $421 on top of the 300 I had already paid online, and I was upfront that I didn’t want any additional services such as insurance and that I would fuel the vehicle up before I brought it back. Went to drop the vehicle off. Waited over an hour again in the line to try to resolve the extra charge before I left and the representative told me it was for damages.

I explain to her several times that there were no damages to the vehicle. She then explained that it was for deposit multiple times as well. I told her that it was already pre-paid for and asked why I was being charged again and she went on to explain that I was going to be charged another $193.96. I look at my statement today and it shows an additional charge for the third time for an additional $72. Tried contacting both Priceline and the Dollar rental car company to get this resolved and it is still not resolved almost a week later. Also the lady that was in front of me when I dropped off was completely ignored by the customer service representative. She walks up to the window to get helped because she assumed she was next just as I assumed she was next.

He did not say anything to her. Walked off to the back room for a few minutes. Came back. Continue to ignore her again. In my eyes that is not good customer service. If you are Busy with other things you should at least acknowledge the customers in front of you and at least say, "Hey I will be with you in just a few moments. Thank you for your patience." But nothing was said by anybody coming in or when you got up to the window or before you got up to the window. I do actually work in customer service and have for many many years and I’ve at least acknowledge people if I’m busy and say, "Thank you. I will be right with you. Give me just a moment." People completely understand if somebody is busy at the moment and can’t be with you to assist you right away.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I ordered a vehicle on May 20th, 2021 at Midway Airport. Was told it was a Manager's Special that seated 5 adult passengers along with 3 large bags and a small one. Got there only to find out they didn’t open till 9:00 am. In addition the Manager special they gave me was a Spark that did not accommodate 5 passengers nor the luggage. They refuse to upgrade me without paying an additional $75.00 then they charged me more than my receipt said I owed when I got there because I pre-paid. I ended up paying close to $400.00 for a 3 day rental. They refuse to reimburse me for the upgrade charged. And refused to allow me to speak with a manager.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I returned a car off-hours to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport and Dollar Car Rental failed to check my car in. In fact, I was charged for 5 extra days and 800 more miles. Despite, gas receipts, an airline boarding pass, they will not refund the entire overcharge amount. We are still battling over $71.57 which is just enough to make filing in small claims court not worthwhile. Their practices are shady as can be. Do not rent a car from this company and by all means do not ever return a car without having someone physically check you back in.

Original review: June 16, 2021

When you sing up for the Express Rewards Benefits they claim you will get 1 point for each dollar you spend, and you can get a free car rental for a day when you reach 500 points. I have already over 3k point and each time I call and try to use my points on a new reservation. They always find a new excuse why you can't use it, And when you ask for a supervisor they will put you on hold for 45 min. And then come back and tell you that they are on the phone and a supervisor will call you back within 2 hours But of course they never call back.

Original review: June 14, 2021

We were robbed of just under $800 by Dollar Rent a Car for a monthly rental. When we arrived after a 13-hour trip to LAX from NZ, we waited in line for over 1 hour. They rushed us through. They NEVER once mentioned “extras” we were paying, and then hurriedly sent us on our way. When leaving the office, I noticed that the credit card charge was $800 more than what our car voucher stated, but since it was so busy, we could not get back in! When I finally had a chance to contact Dollar via FB massager, I was told that the “extras” were Emergency Sickness Protection (ESP), and Personal Effects Insurance(PEI),…

Both of which are covered by our travel insurance, so we don’t need them and were charged without our permission or knowledge. We were then told we had to take it up with our local Dollar rental agency. Unfortunately, that is a 2.5 hour ride, or 5 hour round trip here in Arizona, which is impossible for us to do for the moment! Trying to get help via phone so far is impossible.

Original review: June 10, 2021

We rented from the Dollar website on June 5th 2021. We planned accordingly to our flight arrival on June 9th 2021, to our surprise when we arrive at the counter at Miami International Airport. The lady at the counter looked at our contract and said our contract had been cancelled. After trying to get a new rental, the price changed significantly and she did not want to apply agreed upon services. Meaning we would have to pay all the services as an added extra, making a claim against the first contract charged to my credit card. I do not recommend dollar to anyone, lousy service at best and even worse customer service over the phone.

Original review: June 9, 2021

We were charged twice for the same thing: we paid Dollar rent a car through Orbitz. We paid at the Dollar counter for additional driver at the airport where we picked up car. We used our own insurance, had no damage, fill gas, did all we suppose to do. Person at the counter was less than helpful. When we came back we are find out we get charged additional $163.69 for the 2nd driver (we already paid at airport and other charges paid already to Orbitz), all promises by Orbitz to call back Monday to send email with updates on resolution...brought nothing. Dollar send evaluation I completed but no response. Disputing with my credit card company charges. Will contact BBB and Consumer Protection Agency.

Original review: June 1, 2021

We rented a convertible in Jacksonville, Fl for my husband's 50th birthday. We headed out after a long flight and about 10-15 minutes into the drive it began raining. We pulled over to put the top back up. The sensor or something in the car didn't recognize the top was up and secure and we kept getting a message across the screen of the car as well as the seat belt dinging sound. Because of the error message we were getting, we could not unlock/open the trunk of the car so we had to pile our luggage into the back seat of the car. LONG story shortened... after 2 days of our vacation trying to get a new car and not succeeding, we continued driving this car and listened to the seat belt alarm beeping every time we hit 30 and slowed down and then again as we would hit 50 and slowed. We drove the car this way for the week and returned it and tried to get a refund to no avail. Never again will we rent from Dollar.

Original review: May 26, 2021

Not only did it take forever to get the car, but the additional fees are ridiculously high. I accidentally locked the keys in the car and could not contact anyone in this company for over 24 hours and was stranded on my vacation. Do not use this company, any other rental car place would have been better. Extremely disappointed.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information