2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5
Based on 1,344 ratings submitted in the last year

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Don't use Dollar rental. They will literally steal money out of your account. I rented a car for a few days which I paid 230$. After I returned the car I was charged 200 in additional fees. I have no idea what they are. I've called endlessly and I can't get thru. Now I got another bill for 71$ for their toll pass. Which I paid for when I rented the car. Trust me this company is a SCAM! They should be put right out of business. I'm making it a personal mission to let everyone know that Dollar is one of the worst companies out there.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I recently booked a Dollar car rental which was subsequently cancelled as my client advised he had Covid symptoms/concerns. I notified Dollar 7-10 days in advance and was surprised to find they still charge cancellation fees even though Covid was the reason - an extremely tone-deaf policy considering the impact on the economy. A better policy might be to apply the deposit towards a future rental? Notwithstanding, I feel a touch of corporate greed and as such will never rent from Dollar again. Shame.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I guess Dollar/Hertz's bankruptcy troubles are making them desperate for money because they are quickly becoming the company known for tacking on wrongful and fraudulent fees. I picked up my on September 18th at the Portland airport in Maine, which was deserted. The car they gave me REEKED of smoke. But there was no one at the pick-up place to complain to. I left with the intention of reporting it the next day. (Learned my lesson there. Dollar will give you a disgusting car and then blame YOU for it!) Well, you can't get through to anyone by phone at Dollar. The customer service center was closed all weekend. Then they don't answer the phone during the week. They automated service actually put me on hold for an hour (during my vacation) and then disconnected the line! I had no recourse to report the damage. (Dollar eventually blamed me for "not filing a report.")

After a thoroughly unpleasant 10 days in a car that made my clothes and hair stink of smoke, I went to return it the car on September 27th at their Park Plaza location in Boston intending to complain. Wouldn't you know, there was no one at the drop-off location for me to report it to. It was another deserted parking garage. There were no vacuum cleaners to clean it myself, nothing.

Then I get my bill and they charged me $400 for "damage." It took me 2 hours (not kidding) to get through by phone to a customer service rep and find out what exactly I was being charged for. Smoke, they said. I explained that I do not smoke. I did not smoke in the car and the car was delivered to me that way. That I tried to report it, but could not due to non-existent customer service. He said there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to his manager. Another 45 minutes on hold. That guy said there was nothing he could do and suggested I write to Hertz customer relations.

I emailed with 5 different customer service agents, each one even less effectual and more terrible than the last. They truly do not care. In their mind, the customer is always wrong. In the last exchange they sent me a photo of the damage. There was some sand on the gearshift. Unbelievable. I wrote back, So now it's sand, not smoke? Make up your mind. Also, do you not have a vacuum cleaner? $400 for sand?? Their story kept changing. Smoke. Sand. “You didn't file a report.” Basically anything to shift blame. Clearly, they are understaffed, both at their pickup and drop-off locations and at their customer service centers. But instead of being accountable and owning their mistakes, they blame the customer and tack on wrongful fees to boot. Why are they allowed to get away with this? It's fraud. Do not rent with Dollar or Hertz. What kind of company doesn't take the word of its customers? Oh, one that's in bankruptcy. Good luck with that!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I rented a vehicle from SLC to Las Vegas through Dollar Car Rental. At the time, I spoke to the counter attendant and they said whether I dropped at Las Vegas or Phoenix, both options were the same price ($603) since it was out of state. I decided to go to Phoenix so I called and spoke to Alex (ID **) who gave me a new quote - $326 extra - so I asked to speak to a manager. He assured me that a manager would call back in 24 hours - they did not. I again called and was given the same story - no call back.

When I returned it in Phoenix, I told the attendant who again reassured me that it would not be an extra charge. When I got my final bill - I had an extra $678 charge. I reached out to executive customer service multiple times and they said my calls never took place despite phone records and said that they can reprice a contract whenever they want.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Felicia at Memphis, Tennessee airport is very rude. I asked her for her name. She said Felicia. I asked for her last name. She said, “you didn’t need to know y’all that." She makes personal phone calls while assisting customers. I asked for a supervisor & she called TSA to escort me. Very unprofessional!!!!

Original review: July 9, 2020

I rented a car from Dollar Rent a Car at the beginning of the year as I was planning a trip to Florida to see my elderly mother. Then the pandemic hit. Because of the virus, I had to cancel my plane reservations and rental car as I am just getting over cancer and at a higher risk. I contacted Dollar rent a car and they told me that they would give me my money back. What they did not tell me was that they were going to keep $50 of my money. I tried to reason with them and explain to them that I was going to be visiting my elderly mother at a later date after things were safe in the world but they did not want to hear it. They just told me that they were going to keep my $50 and that was that. I think that sucks.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Rented a Dollar rent car through Expedia at DFW airport. From the moment of check-in it was problematic. Because it was less than 24 hrs since the original rental and not a corp. account they made us purchase their insurance. We are a company, we have our own insurance. We did as they asked to get our employee on the road. He turned the rent car in the same day at the Houston Hobby airport, making sure to fill the car with fuel. Dollar charged us $95.29 for fuel that was not needed. Stayed on hold with that location twice and was rudely hung up on when trying to explain the issue. Went to DFW location to try to resolve the issue and was told to "call ** Houston! What do I look like? Customer Service?" Wow! Watch your receipts for bogus charges. You won't get it back easily.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Went to the counter at the CAE airport in Columbia. I went to the counter and did my reservation while standing there. I put in all the necessary info and paid. I was charged $219.07 plus $55 for insurance. While waiting for her to get confirmation, I checked my email and my account. I got the confirmation and the receipt. After standing and waiting she tells me I owe $389. Um what?! She said they never received the payment. I showed the confirmation and the receipt. She's obtuse. I was so pissed that I immediately called my credit union and filed a claim. That woman had the nerve to question my making the reservation, even as she stood there reading it. Long story short, they claim they didn't receive the payment and expect me to pay an additional $169. That is a no. I contacted my credit union and will be getting my money back. This is a clown company.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I had been searching to rent a van all day. Every place was out or required a major credit card. Finally I reserved a minivan with Dollar rental car in Chattanooga TN at 12:30 pm. Reserved for 2:00 pm. The website said everything checked out and I could pick my vehicle up at that time. We went 45 minutes out of our way just to get there and they tell us they don't have any vehicles period...so it took them 2 hrs to realize they reserved nothing and couldn't call me to inform me.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Booked a car through CarRentals.com and picked up at the Dollar Rental Car counter at Orlando International Airport Feb 28th 2020. My issue is "Not" with Carrentals.com. It is with Dollar. I agreed to adding on the "Fuel Option" to my agreement and only that. I Did not agree to adding anything else. I signed the estimate and went on my way to enjoy my vacation. It wasnt until I actually received my credit card statement that I saw I was charged from both CarRentals.com and Dollar Rent a Car. Looked at my estimate and final agreement from Dollar and then noticed they had on there that they said I had "agreed" to LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) $271.92. $33.99 per day. If I was actually asked, I most definitely would deny this option. But they charged me for it.

First call to Dollar, I was on hold for 35 mins before a rep came on. Talked for a bit and she put me on hold again a few times and then the call just ended. Almost an hour of my time spent on the phone for nothing. Next day, called again. Spoke to another rep and then a supervisor. I was told "I am sorry, but you signed the estimate and you have returned the car and it is now a "closed" contract. We can not give you a refund. Next time You should read everything and ask questions."

Read several reviews on here on this exact situation that happened to others . So it sounds like a fairly common practice for them. So they know what they are doing and are doing this intentionally to get more $$ out of people. Apparently they are getting away with it. Never again. Please do not go to Dollar Rent A Car. They will try to fleece you, if they can get away with it!

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information