2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2020

In September of 2019, I reserved a rental car with Dollar Rent A Car for my family's use while on vacation in Los Cabos, Mexico over the Christmas Holidays. The total for the one-week rental was estimated at $202.29 on the reservation I made through Priceline. When we arrived in Los Cabos on Monday, December 23, 2019, the Dollar Rent A Car counter attendants told us there were no vehicles available, and while they acknowledged our reservation, they said they could do nothing about it, nor did they really seem to care. We asked what they expected us to do next, and they simply shrugged and went back to their social conversations.

After calling Priceline and Dollar's customer service lines for a half hour without any help, but a lot of waiting on hold, we started approaching other rental car companies at the same counter. They all claimed that they were short on cars and the cost would be about $600-$800 to get a car for the week. There was no shopping to be done, because as we went from one rental agency to the next at the same counter, they all colluded to extort a high price from the foreign tourists. Finally, after haggling with Thrifty Car Rental (which I knew to be a sister company to Dollar, both of which are owned by Hertz, and may be a source to solve the problem), refusing all forms of insurance that I could (which involved getting my insurance agent in the U.S. on the phone and putting down a credit card deposit of $4,000), we ended up getting a beat-up sedan for $464.79.

Then on our second to last day of vacation, the car would not start due to a dead battery and we had to forego our day of activities to spend time on the telephone trying to persuade Thrifty to send out a replacement car or to replace the battery in the car we had. The valets at the hotel stated that all of the rental car companies in the area put secondhand parts into the rental cars and dead batteries are a common occurrence for Dollar and Thrifty. We lost an entire day of our vacation!

When we returned the car, the attendants were very well aware of what had happened from start to finish, and when I asked for a day's worth of credit on the final bill, they smiled at me and said "sorry." The entire experience with Dollar and Thrifty was a complete rip-off. Initially, we thought the lack of an available car was just our bad luck, but then we overheard other customers from Canada and the U.S. being deceived in exactly the same manner as we had been. They were also told that they had to pay for "special Mexican car insurance" which typically ran $600-$800, or they would have to put down incredibly large deposits as we were required to do to avoid the charges.

When Americans deal with American companies abroad, they expect the same level of respect and customer service that they would get in the U.S. Those are typically the reasons that we try to use U.S. vendors when we travel abroad. Not so with Dollar and Thrifty. Both fell incredibly far short of that, and in effect, colluded to steal from us the additional cost of the car, and to try to steal from us the costs of the "special Mexican car insurance." Mind you that the $4,000 we had to pay on our credit card was not just a hold on our credit card, but an actual payment that we had to hope to have returned when we returned the car. The entire transaction put a cloud over our entire vacation.

Dollar and Thrifty are both low grade rental car companies that I would never recommend to anyone to use. Personally, my family members will never rent from either one ever again, in the U.S. or abroad. At this point, now three months after all of this took place, I am still arguing with Priceline, Dollar and Thrifty to get any sort of credit back for all that occurred with respect to this car rental. None of the three have responded with any sort of consideration for even a credit against a future rental from them. It really shows how low grade they are as companies.

Original review: March 7, 2020

DO NOT RENT HERE!!!! My costs doubled at the counter in Tampa from what I was quoted online! I specified online that I would take the insurance, but was not quoted a price with insurance. Had I known what the ACTUAL price would have been, I would never have rented here. Looking at the other reviews here and elsewhere, I see that I am not alone in this experience. They should give people the entire price at the time they book. Why hide this and surprise folks who are starting a vacation? It was a terrible way to begin and we will NEVER use this company again and we absolutely want to discourage anyone we know from using this company.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Rented a car from Dollar rental to be picked up at Orlando Airport and dropped off at Tampa. When I dropped the car off at 5 am to catch my flight no one was available to check me out or give me a receipt. I was ordered to leave the window open and keys in the car. I requested a receipt that the car was good, but because they were closed was given an ok by the attendant. 10 days later my credit card was charged 466 for a smoking fee. I did not smoke in the car and was not sent a bill or email. When I called to resolve issue was offered 100 off. I refused the bogus offer and requested a supervisor. Was told it would be 30 hours before I would get a call back. This place is scamming people. Going to continue to fight. Beware of this and don't return your car after hours!!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I rented a Malibu from Dollar Rental in November of 2019. At the counter, the agent asked me if I wanted any extra insurance, which I said no. I told her my insurance company will cover me and didn’t need insurance. I was in Las Vegas for 5 days and when I returned the car they had charged me over $300 for insurance I didn’t ask for. I talked to the manager and because the rental was done he couldn’t refund me the money I paid for the insurance I never asked for. He felt so bad that he gave me a $100 voucher I can use in the coming year. No one would pay over $600 for a Malibu. I will never rent from Dollar or their parent company Hertz again. Of course it was my fault on not checking the forms before I left. I had never had a problem with honesty with them before. Go rent from someone else, will save you money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I used a discount site to book my car rental and thought I was getting a reasonable deal. I really don't like how they quoted a certain car and added OR SIMILAR to the rental information. I felt that the car I received, while in the mid-sized car class, was NOT in the same QUALITY classification. I only needed the car for a minimal time, so I was going to be OK with the car they assigned. It turned out to be the least of my concerns.

The real problem came when the counter agent asked if I wanted to purchase their insurance. Having gone through this before before I politely said NO. The agent then countered EVERY NO THANK YOU with another reason why I needed their insurance. He even went as far as asking me what my personal car insurance deductible was....NONE OF HIS BUSINESS...THAT'S WHAT! While I know it's their job to inform customers and try to sell their extras, I felt that if I didn't FINALLY AGREE, I wasn't going to get out of the airport and get to my destination. It was extreme pressure to purchase and I don't appreciate this business tactic.

Then when I needed to extend my rental, ALL OF ONE HOUR, I had to purchase insurance for another day. INSURANCE THAT I DIDN'T WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE. It's not even just the insurance. There was this fee and that fee that added up to a ridiculous amount of money. I brought my own Toll booth transponder, so I didn't need to rent theirs or pay their outrageous fees for not having one AND filled up the car with gas before returning, but the final cost of this car rental was absolutely ridiculous.

I've only rented a car twice before...from other car rental businesses, I should add, so maybe this is my inexperience, but the other times I haven't walked way feeling that I was taken to the cleaners just for a 3 day car rental. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND DOLLAR CAR RENTAL TO ANYONE! I plan on making their headquarters know my experience, so hopefully no one else has this experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Got my rental from Orlando FL airport terminal. Explained did not need insurance because did reservation online and purchased 3rd party insurance online already. Even showed the representative the email that was sent to me. The representative then told me to put my card in the machine and agree to charges as there was also a 200 deposit to get car. So on top of the 200 deposit Dollar also charged $15.88 charge per day for “LIS”. Just found out that the “LIS” stands for the insurance on my receipt.

I was charged even when I told the representative I did not want or needed the insurance. Called customer service and even spoke to a manager and all they said is that I “agreed” to it so it cannot be refunded. SO BE WARNED, EVEN IF YOU LET REP KNOW DON’T NEED THE “LIS” THEY WILL STILL CHARGE...DON’T RENT HERE. They are bunch of crooks. Oh btw they are a subsidiary of Hertz. Shame on you for your business practices.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I rented a car for a week at St Pete Beach Fla. I had a emergency come up (family) and had to cancel my car rental. It was ahead of the 48 hrs advance that is required. The young lady said I would get 100% of my money back. As it turned out they refunded all but 50.00. When I called and ask where the other 50 was, they stated that I was going to get a 50 gift cert from their parent company Hertz.. Also when I went to the local office of Dollar they had a notice on the counter stating that you have to leave a 200.00 deposit when I pick up the car. This was never disclosed when I paid. They might be the cheaper of car rental companies but BUYER BEWARE OF THE HIDDEN/UNDISCLOSED COST. I still have the 50 dollar cert. for which expires in June that I will never use.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

For the most part, Dollar it is pretty good with their service except for yesterday 2/19/2020 I flew in from Dallas at Lawton, Ft Sill Airport in Oklahoma. I had already paid in full online for my rental and when I get there, my vehicle was rented out to someone else. I ask the lady at the desk why she rented out my car so gave the excuse that I stated I was going to be there by 10am when I specifically stated my time of arrival and I even provided my flight Itinerary stating my flight was due in by 5:45pm.

Needless to say, I almost got left stranded at the airport due to her poor decision making, lucky for me I was able to get the last vehicle standing by Hertz at a much cheaper price than Dollar. Regardless when I arrive at the airport, if I paid in full for a rental, then my vehicle should remain available until I arrive. Next time I will call every hour on the hour 12 hours before arriving or until they get sick of me calling just to drive my point across. I had to make sure my money was reimbursed too.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Dollar Rent a Car charged for taxes already paid online through Expedia. The front desk cashier told me the reservation was an estimate. I showed her where it said final payment with taxes. They still charged me an outrageous amount; giving me a lame excuse. Double dipping by Expedia or fraud by Dollar Rent a Car. Filed a complaint. Not renting through this company or using Expedia any longer. Dissatisfied!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

We reserved a vehicle online for $49 to be ready at 10:30 for pick up and the reservation was confirmed by Dollar Rent A Car. My sister-in-law and I paid for transportation to their location on 16th Street from the Miami Ship Port only to be told they did not have our car available for at least 4 hours. The manager gave us three options:

1. Wait at least 4 hours for a car to be returned.
2. Rent an SUV at $95, almost twice the price we were quoted. (The manager refused to allow us to have any other car at the $49 price they agreed to online).

3. He told us we could try another rental place 2 blocks away.

Mind you, we paid to get to his place of business and our ride left us there, we had several pieces of luggage with us, and we are both over 60 years of age. There was no offer to help us with this situation, even when I called their customer service department. I would not recommend this company to anyone. If I could, I would have given Dollar zero stars. BEWARE! By the way, apparently, Dollar is now owned by THRIFTY, so I would be wary of them, too.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information