2.8/5 (301 ratings)

About Dollar Rent A Car

Dollar Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

First they tried to sneak in $300 on my reservation, without my knowledge. Good thing I noticed. I drove the car a couple of times. I never smoked and no one else was in the car. Then after I returned it I was charged $400 extra for smoke cleaning! I tried to contact the customer service and spent over 2! hours on the phone. Nobody even bothered answering. I'll just have my bank charge it back. Holy **! It's sinking lower and lower. **

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Too many minuses to mention on renting from Dollar at Denver airport, but here are a few: Long wait for pickup, smoky car, rude employees, long wait for shuttle on return, failed to close out my contract, added a random $50 charge. Just skip Dollar/Thrifty.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I got hundreds of dollars in fees that I was not made aware of beforehand. For example there was a toll fee of $1.98 from Sunpass and Dollar added an administrative fee of $29.97 to it. There were multiple fees similar to this one.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

So, even though the rental car companies are price gouging during this time it was still necessary to OVERPAY to the tune of 628.46 for 4 day rental using an American Airlines CITICARD, which was paid in full up front. The vehicle was returned full of gas and the receipt upon turning the car in shows a zero balance due. Now, days later we are told that we are being charged an additional $76 for filling the vehicle up. Of course, the tank WAS FILLED UP and we provided the bank statement showing the $12.85 fuel charge on the return date from Raceway at AIRPORT BOULEVARD in Columbia S.C., the keywords being AIRPORT BLVD in Columbia S.C.

This has gone back and forth with the CITI American Airlines Card people as well as DOLLAR Rent A Car people. Obviously receipts mean nothing and the CITI people have said this needs to be handled through DOLLAR at this point. So, I am putting everyone on notice about how these people think they can conduct business. This complaint, which is going on 4 months now, needs to be resolved so that others that read this can decide if they want to chance doing business with HERTZ/DOLLAR/THRIFTY in the future. Let's hope that the right thing is done.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

We accidentally took the car key with us when we dropped off the car in Minneapolis. We thought we had left it in the car because an attendant checked the car, put a check mark in the window, and told us we were good to go. Nobody ever contacted us about the key - I just found an extra charge on my credit card for over $400. When we contacted Dollar, they said we would have had to return the key to them within 24 hours (impossible, of course, unless we flew back to return it). I would not recommend using this company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Hello, you think you are getting a really good deal thru Priceline then Dollar Rent A Car. There are all these hidden fees they do not tell us about, until you get the final bill. Which is automatically charged to our credit card. When we called to ask for an explanation, they tell us that a fee of $108.00 was for licensing and registration fee for the car rental company! Why does the customer have to pay for that? Never ever rent from Dollar Rent A Car or Priceline for that matter. It's a total rip off. Our car rental for 4 days came to over $1000.00! Such a travesty.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Made car reservation with Dollar Rent a Car at Ljubljana airport (Slovenia). Reservation was made through Priceline and confirmed by Dollar. When I arrived to Ljubljana, around noon on September 9., there was nobody in the office. Had to call the phone number and the agent told me that she has no knowledge about any reservation. I tried to give her reservation number to check but she was not interested in any search, telling me that there is no reservation she is aware of and that she has no car available. At the time of my arrival, rental price was doubled from my original quote. Checked other rental offices for availability and only Avis/Budget had available car for me. Advice for travelers to Slovenia, do not make car reservation with Dollar. There is no guarantee you will get the car you reserved.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

This was my first time renting out a vehicle and this was the worst experience I've ever had... First, when I arrived to the airport for a memorial service I was trying to retrieve the car everything was a confusing mess, the person who handed me the paperwork was being very vague about the regulations and about the tolls policy. I tried to contact customer service on the phone and asked for clarity but they told me not to worry about it. When I returned the vehicle and reviewed my receipt they had charged me fees upon fees upon fees for nothing, there was fees for dropping off the vehicle and for a gas fee when I was told I wouldn't be charged for it if I filled the tank.

Now, today I received a letter in the mail saying how I have violated the tolls agreement. Is being charged $46.80. I called to see if this was true and the customer service on the phone read my balance and it jumped up to $58.13!! Go somewhere else that will not abuse you or have hidden fees, the tolls were a total of $6.84 and the administrative fee is $39.96 making a total of $46.80 and this is on the letter I had received today but when I called it magically went to $58.13. Save your money. Go somewhere else or use your own car.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Inconvenient to fill at return so required some 8 gallons to top up. Was billed nearly $10/gal which was not mentioned when stated at return that it was not full. Apparently a company policy. Will never use Dollar again. Rental for some 250 miles and 8 days on a sub compact was nearly $700!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

COMPLETE SCAM! Booked this "LUXURY" car (Infinity) through Orbitz. We get off the plane and to the rental car desk. They immediately started the grift with the claims they could not take credit cards. They refused to use the credit card on file. They took a debit card and without any notice RAN A CREDIT CHECK and took a $1,000.00 deposit! Further, after this complete scammer behavior, they drive up in a Nissan Altima that smelled like a bong! There was cannabis water in the ashtray and residue throughout the filthy car! It smelled like a smoke box! THE CAR WAS FILTHY INSIDE AND OUT! They marked the car as having a full tank of gas when it was at 1/4, claiming the gate attendant would "make a note", LIE!

We asked for a refund on the spot and they refused, saying that because the credit card machines were down we would have to get a refund at another location! We drove two hours to the other airport location to get a refund and were then gaslit to go to ANOTHER LOCATION! The loop of lies continued and we were told we could only return the fraud car to the original location 2.5 hours away! Dollar Rental Car never returned any of our correspondence, other than an email that claimed they were reviewing our complaint...three months ago! How are companies like this in business?! DO NOT RENT FROM THIS HORRIFIC SCAM!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Dollar decided to bring replacement for disabled car from a location that was very far away. Then they put the tow charge on MY CREDIT CARD! Now they are balking at issuing a me credit even though It was their decision to replace the car and from where to bring it. I first contacted them early evening and it was mid morning the next day before the replacement arrived.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

After I returned the car they took 3 times the value with no authorization from my card. They use fake price and fake number. I usually use another company, and I decided to try Dollar because the price. At the end they show me how to feel angry and disappointed with a rent a car company, that never ever happened before in my life. They are terrible.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

The pickup line at LAX for Dollar (Thrifty) car rental was more than 4 hours! I have less than 24 hours to stay in LA, I decided to dump the plan and use Uber instead. When I called Dollar to cancel the reservation, I was told to cancel through Expedia (where I had booked). I contacted Expedia after my trip, was on the chat for more than 40 mins, the Expedia agent could get connected to Dollar, she had to transfer my request to Expedia's offline team and get back to me up to 10 business days. I will never use Dollar or Thrifty ever!

Worth of mentioning at LAX, the Hertz car rental which shared the same office with Thrifty (Dollar) had no line at all. They have online checkin through app. Their rental car was ready to drive away at the parking, all check in through their mobile app. No need to contact people behind the counter at all. Although their cars for that day were all rented out, it's much organized, no one who had paid their rental had to wait in a long line to pick up their car. Never Dollar, never Thrifty. That was enough.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Do not rent from them!!! We declined the extra insurance and she added it anyway. After a 4 hour flight with 3 kids we just signed the paper so we could get the car and leave. They charged us an extra $300 for insurance we did not want! Customer service is awful. They could care less that we were scammed.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Just came back from my trip 2 days ago. These guys are not to be trusted. They lied that the vehicle would be cleaned...yet totally the opposite. Came real early to pick up the car. There was very little lighting. My family was in a rush on our trip, it wasn't until we were on the road that we noticed how dirty the rental car was. There were dog hair on the seats, a water bottle left from previous renters. Overall, the inside of the car disgusted me. With Covid19 going on, these people care little about consumers' health. It's definite they didn't even sanitized the inside as well. Don't ever rent from Dollar Rent A Car unless you want the same experience as me.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I prepaid for a Dollar rental car three months in advance of attending a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. We flew into Reagan National Airport, took the bus to the rental car garage and found about 30 people waiting in seats, floors and everywhere in between. When we got to the front of the line for our prepaid car at our appointed time, we were told no car was ready. This was the case for all of the angry customers in the area. An hour later we got a car. Car was decent and the drop off after the fact went smoothly. At the time of rental however, we found over $100 of taxes and fees had been tacked on to our "PREPAID" expenses. When you add that on to the cost, DOLLAR, which we chose for having the best rates, actually were far from the best rates. Shady business dealings here when you claim one rate then pump it up at the counter.

Also important to note. DOLLAR is owned by HERTZ. Those customers waiting all around us were a smattering of DOLLAR, THRIFTY and HERTZ customers. Thus I shall be boycotting all three in perpetuity. Read all of the other reviews here. You will see a consistent corporate behavior at locations throughout the US. Terrible company.

Original review: July 29, 2021

These guys are the Spirit Airlines of the car rental business. Never again will I rent a car from these losers. I was scheduled to pick a car up at the Philadelphia Airport on 7/16/2021. After taking the shuttle to their lot, we noticed a large number of people (approximately 50) standing in line waiting outside of the small rental office. It was 95 degrees that day and it 2 1/2 hours to reach the front of the line. These jerks didn't even offer bottles of water to stay hydrated. On top of that, all sorts of hidden charges, such as taxes and 'fees' became apparent. These taxes and 'fees' were never disclosed on the Dollar website when I reserved the car months prior. Bottom line....BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: July 22, 2021

My family told me upon arrival that Chicago Illinois crime rate is at an ultimate high. My family told me out of town license plate tags are definitely targeted to rob & possibly kill the occupants. If the local residents/including employees of Dollar rental knew about this escalating crime, then why did they issue me an out of state plate vehicle to drive around in with my child? I'm glad I visited family outside of Chicago 1st, because they warned me to not drive to Chicago in that vehicle. When I spoke to the members in my family in Chicago, they offered to meet me outside of Chicago without me telling them I wasn't driving to them. This should have been asked at the Dollar rental counter by the agent if I mind getting out of state tag car with the criminals targeting them.

It also should've been explained about the cash tolls being obsolete since Covid in 2020. I will never forgive Dollar rental for putting our life in the cross hairs of criminals with that out of state license plate car. Hopefully you'll care more about the renters in the future in the Chicago area than a profit because if customers get killed off, who will Dollar rental have to use their services? Dollar rental's non-verbal actions was wreckless & endangered human life.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Arrived on evening flight to LAX and waited in line for over 3 hours to get rental which was already paid for. There were only four attendants on duty and they were not at all trying to move the line any faster. The vehicle I requested was not available. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL of the extra fees they sneak in. I rejected the fuel fee and returned the vehicle on a full tank of gas. When I got my final bill 4 days later I contested the fee and Dollar customer service refused to reimburse me.

Original review: July 17, 2021

All the bad reviews are true, had a car reserved-got there they had no car, so we had to get what they had left, a full size SUV "Kia Sorento is was it was" $250 for one day, next day we returned with no issues, days later were charge $ 336, for late fee's, we returned car 20 minutes sooner than were suppose to and can prove it with our phone app. Called 1800 number they said they would have to check the camera's, still nothing, you call the number back and no one answers, complete awful experience, if I had enough money I would buy the company, fire everyone and sell it off, truly pathetic customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Horrible customer service! Not sure how they stay in business. Rented a car at Charlotte airport, at an exorbitant price, and headed to counter. Two 70 somethings, one using a walker, the other pulling two suitcases and assorted carry-ons. Followed signs to Dollar - different level. Trekked down the long hall and surprise! Terminal closed. Sign on door said go to Hertz - yup back the way we came.

Drove from Charlotte across I-77 to Virginia to see relatives. Toll road in Statesville area. No problem I thought. Toll reader on windshield so any minor tolls would be added to our rental, right? NOT! This customer gouging outfit actually charged $45 "Administration Fee" for $3 in tolls. Obviously they have no concern about Customer Service or future business. In Florida we have similar toll devices - actual tolls charged, not ridiculous bogus Admin fees! As if a $1,000 week rental weren't bad enough, they add insult to injury. Stay far away from Dollar. They must be financially wrought to be so greedy as to add these fees.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Don't use them. Scammers! I rented a car from Dollar way in advance and paid in advance, except for extra charges that I would have to pay for on the day I picked up car. I rented car for Saturday pickup at 1:00pm. I arrived around 1pm and waited in line until 5:30pm. I was sent out to get my car, and waited for 1 hour before I got it. I left the parking lot at 6:30pm. I returned the car early morning at approx 9:30am on the day I was supposed to dropoff, and they charged me a 2 hour late in fee.

I called the billing department to tell them that I was early in dropping off the car and I should not be charged for the 2 hours late in, when I waited to get my car over six hours late on the first day, which made me miss my conference meeting on that day. They said they don't give partial refunds, so in order to get my money back on my card, I would have to pay them the entire car rental fee first. Which was over $600. I did not want to pay that again. I even asked about a voucher, since I travel often and rent cars all the time, and they said, "No, we don't give out vouchers." Such a scam and RIP off. I will never use them again.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Dollar was closed, redirected to Thrifty, long line. The car was ok a little sticky under the e brake. But I noticed a chip in the windshield and was unable to contact anyone to inform them of this. So I didn't stress about it took a picture and enjoyed my trip. I used Google maps to direct me back. But it took me to the wrong location. Then I didn't know I had to return the car to Hertz so I drove around looking for dollar's return area. I rented the car at 10:46 and returned it at 11:19. I was charged an extra day! Even though Google maps and poorly marked drop off locations were the reason. Now they are contacting me about the windshield!

Original review: July 14, 2021

We reserved a small car for a weekend business trip in Phoenix, AZ. It was a long hot shuttle ride to the car rental building, and the experience was about to get much worse. We walked in only to find that Dollar was closed down with a sign pointing us to Thrifty -- where the line was very long. After waiting 40 minutes to speak with an agent at the counter, he told us that our car "wasn't there yet". We were told to wait until we received a phone call from them -- likely 10-15 minutes, but could be 30 minutes.

When I walked back up to the counter at the 40 minute mark, he told me the car still wasn't there yet, but it would be coming soon. When I asked if they had any cars to rent -- "Yes or No" -- he was evasive and dismissive. Totally unprofessional! We decided to change plans and Uber it to our hotel instead. As we were checking into the hotel we got a call from Thrifty telling us that our car was now available to rent. I told them to stick it...

Original review: July 14, 2021

I reserved a one-way car rental from DFW using telephone customer service. After I flew to Dallas, I stood in line for an hour with agitated customers because Dollar oversold their inventory. I was denied my car rental on the basis that I didn't have a return flight. The rental itself was $875 and I needed to give a $500 deposit which I was able to do, but the manager stated that the telephone customer service is outsourced to another company and the agents are poorly trained. She stated that a policy change had occurred in April and they no longer offer one-way rentals from DFW airport. A one-way car rental reservation can still be booked online with the company but they have not announced publicly that they don't honor these reservations. I incurred significant expense for hotel and return airfare.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Called to ask about the status of a car that I had rented. The representative was very condescending. When I asked if I could be transferred he asked "Why"? When I told him he was being rude to me he said "No one else can help you". When I raised my voice to be transferred I was told to "** off and then hung up on. When I called back I spoke to a rep named "Ces" (no id number cause apparently one isn't needed) I asked him to speak to a supervisor. He politely listened to what happened and tried to help. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the answer was like all others. "The manager is in a meeting and can't speak to you." All I wanted to do was cancel and get a refund. Instead I was treated like straight up **. They won't give me my money back for a refund 'cause I never got the car!! There's NO ONE in the US to talk to, the operators could care less if you get a car or not, they hang up on you when you need help.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I rented a car for two days. The lady at the front desk explained that there would be a 591 dollar deposit, which I considered to be extremely high compared to other companies. I paid the deposit, and asked her if I need a toll pass. She stated no, and from the airport to the hospital, there were no tolls. She was wrong. She also tried to charge me for insurance without my knowledge, and I asked her why did the price change, and I told her to take the company's insurance off of my bill and that I will be using my personal insurance.

I drove through the cash lane to pay, but no one was there. I received 3 bills in the mail. The tolls were 1.75, 2.75, and 4.50 which is not a problem. The "ADMINISTRATIVE FEE" is the problem. I just received the bill today which is July 10. I did not neglect to pay for the tolls. Why an administrative fee? The administrative fees are 16.75, 32.75, and 49.50. Please do yourself a favor. Do not rent from this place. Dollar Rent A Car is a scam company and it preys on people who wants to save money. That is why the name says dollar. The deposits are extremely high.

Original review: July 8, 2021

We booked a pay-in-advance rate for a car/hotel through Priceline with Dollar Rent-a-car at SAT. Upon arriving we waited almost an hour in line to get to an agent. She was rude, snarky, and would not allow us to have the car although we were completely within policy. She even asked us to call our credit card company and allow her to talk to an Agent, which we did, and our CC Agent did, authorized a transaction and the Agent then said, No, I don't think so. She was unreasonable, at the very least.

We had our whole family there and was willing to even take a lower class vehicle that would fit our whole family and she refused us service stating policies that were NOT included in Dollar's policy. I'm not sure if she was having a bad day, singled us out, or just generally did not like her job, but she ruined a good portion of our first day of vacation and caused us to incur $800+ out of pocket to rent a vehicle thru enterprise. She humiliated us for no reason & made horrible remarks to us. No one should ever treat anyone the way she treated us. I would never in a million years refer anyone to this company.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I made a reservation through carrental8.com and purchased additional collision/theft insurance on top of my car insurance. I thought those two will provide enough protection. When I get to the rental car I couldn't find my credit card. Since I reserved a 7 seater SUV. I was told that I cannot get a car that big without a credit card. Debit doesn't work. After discussing my options, they agree to give me the car with my business debit card but I had to buy additional insurance from them. I tried to convince the agent that my two insurances will provide enough coverage and I don't need a third one but they refused to rent me the car knowing I was desperate to get the car. I had no choice and I purchased the insurance from them.

I called customer service to complain but after listening my complains, he told me that I agreed to take the insurance offer and told me he cannot help me and hang up the phone on me. Originally I thought the person who processed my rent was trying to play a game to make his commission but after talking to the customer service I learned that it is Dollar's policy. I believe they took advantage of my desperate situation and played bad. I will never rent from Dollar anymore.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Waited 2 hours to pick up the rental car!!! The rear window came out of the track with window down!! Waited 45 minutes for service to answer and got only ”I will have a supervisor call you”. As if two hours ago, no one has called!!! We cannot lock the door!! Praying it does not rain!! Never Dollar again.

Dollar Rent A Car Company Information