2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.54/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Avis Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I rented a car through Avis for 11 days in August '19. The booking was made online via a website that was easily navigable and which offered special discounts. Picking up the car, which was immaculately clean, was convenient and the service personnel were polite and efficient. Overall, my experience with Avis was positive and I will most definitely use them again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

The car we rented was a good value for the price, almost half the daily rate, due in part because we got a steep discount for using AARP. The AVIS CDW was extremely expensive, almost twice the daily rental rate. We decided against it since we were covered by AARP auto insurance and our credit card company.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The car rental is great. Love the size of cars you can choose from. They have great gas mileage. Overall it is a great company. I would tell a friend about it so they can enjoy the rates that the company has to offer.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've been renting from Avis for more than 35 years both for business and personal rentals. I like the cars that I've rented over the years and the service has been spot on for the most part. They've become a bit too pricey over the past 5 or 6 years which explains why I've not rented as often as I could have. Still, compared to Hertz this is the go to company for me.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I usually use Hertz but this time I used Avis because I do not currently have a credit card, just a debit card. I was in Lafayette, LA. It was a seamless experience. Very nice lady at the counter & helpful. I refrained from 5 stars because it was impossible to see the condition of the car well enough. It was a dark parking lot, not sufficient lighting. But overall satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Scheduled a car rental for 2 months in Boca Raton Florida. Received confirmation of my middle-size car. When picking up the car, no middle-size "standard" cars are available so we needed to take an SUV car. The car was not cleaned at pick up, it was sand, dog hair and soda spilled in the car. We needed to wait for 45 minutes ta have the car cleaned before leaving.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I've been Avis customer since 2007. I used to be Avis First before they discontinued that level, then went to Avis Preferred Plus. My records show that over that period I paid them US$60K, with 10 to 30 rentals each year. So maybe I'm not the top customer but certainly not the last one. The had been issues with Aeroplan Miles awarded for rentals. I'd take advantage of a promotion, enter all the codes - and sometimes not get all the miles promised, or no miles at all. I'd contact customer service, and after some back&forth they'd issue those miles.

Last fall I had several rentals with that issue - and they eventually said I didn't use the right code when I was booking. So when I had to book a rental next time, I made sure to take screenshots of every step, noting that I follow what's written in the promotion to the letter. And when I didn't get the miles, I sent all that to Avis CS asking for the credit. That was last December, and they first said it would take 5 to 7 business days, and when I called again two weeks later, they said they need 10 more business days - no explanation why they couldn't give an accurate ETA.

So I called again today - only to find out that my claim was denied and the case was closed. They ignored all the evidence basically saying since the code is incorrect in their system - there's nothing they can do. They ignored my question: how can I make sure the data in their system is correct, since I don't have access to it. I only see what I enter myself. I've spoken to four CS agents today, and all of them were rude and inconsiderate at the end of our conversation. I have decided that I no longer want to do any business with a company that treats its "preferred" clients so poorly.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Arrived to pick up car as promised (30th St Amtrak Station, Phila). Car that was promised was "Not Available" (asked for any compact). Was given SUV (gas sucker). Had paid in advance for GPS; "sorry, no GPS cars available", but the service person reached under the counter and handed me a Garmin with no directions -- didn't make a difference since it forgot the destination every 15 minutes or so, anyhow. (The Avis parking lot was Full of cars, BTW.) When I returned the car I asked for a refund on the GPS fee - they said they could not refund prepayments at the counter (likely true) but they would put in a request for refund payment - Never got anything, even an acknowledgement of calls/email messages. So, except that they didn't give me the car they promised (and prepaid for), couldn't find any car with a GPS, and never refunded an overcharge, I gave them a 2 stars instead of one.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Made a reservation with Avis to rent a car near St. Petersburg Florida for four days. Got to Florida and went to pick up the car - and told there were none available. Called Avis customer service who said the only cars available were four times the price on my reservation. They had me over a barrel, I really needed a car, so I made the reservation which was at a location in another city. The customer service agent assured me there would be a car there, and I got a confirmation number to be sure. Ha ha, the joke was on me - got to that other location and they had the reservation in their system no cars available and none coming in that day either. Bottom line: If you make a reservation with Avis do not count on a car actually being available. If Avis does have a car available, don't rule out a bait and switch.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

The car was dirty and not well preserved. The inside smells bad. I could pay less for a similar car, but chose Avis because I assumed that Avis was company at the same level as Enterprise. I am very disappointed.

Not sure about Avis?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information