Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Beware of this rental car company. My husband and I rented a car in Florida for a week and recently got a bill for $75.00 cleaning fee claiming we had stained the interior? What? How in the world can we stain a leather seated car with black rugs? And we are positive there was zero damage to the car. When I reached out to "customer service" not only were they rude but they switched the reason to needing to vacuum the sand on the carpet. Hello? We had been in Florida going to beaches daily, there is going to be sand on the black carpet! I was told that I should have vacuumed.

This is not the first car we have ever rented but this is the first time I have been told to vacuum a car or I would get a charge. I tried to reason with these insane people and have now hit a wall. The credit card company is going to dispute but Avis has warned me they will take it to collections... omg this company is bad news. I have found this is a common practice with avis, sending out cleaning bills is a standard way they are making some extra money. At this point AVIS take it to collections. This behavior is going to cost you in the long run. NOT ME.

We travel to Europe quite often. Several years ago we used Avis at the Paris Airport. We took the car and got about 200 miles when the car broke down. After losing a full day being stranded, while Avis tried to figure what to do, we ended up backtracking 1 1/2 hrs by cab to get a new car. We used another company after that for several years. Last spring we decided to give Avis in Paris another chance. We arrived at the appointed time, only to be told that they didn't have our car. They asked if we would be willing to take another car at no extra charge. We agreed. We were asked about extra insurance which we always deny because we are covered by our credit card.

Upon returning the car we were told that the rental fee would be double what the original agreement was. When we asked why, we were told that we were being charged for an upgrade and insurance. We explained that we did not agree to either of those things. We were told that we would have to come back later as a manager was not there at that time to discuss it with us. We could not do that as we had a flight to catch.

When we returned to the US we disputed the bill with our credit card company. We were happy to pay the original amount, just not the extra charges. After months of fighting back and forth with Avis, we were told that it was their word against ours and we had to pay. We then contacted Avis and were told that Avis in Europe is different than Avis in the US and they couldn't do anything to help us. We work for a major Airline. We will never use Avis within the US and especially in Europe. We work with a lot of people who travel. We will be sure to tell everyone we know to be careful of being scammed especially in Europe.

Returned the car with no remarks, on time and without a breadcrumb on the inside. 6 months after, they're still charging my card. Will file Police report so my bank can refund the money since Avis won't.

When we went to pick up the already paid in the States car, the clerk convince us (two over 70 years old people, just coming from 16 hours fly) that we need extra insurance. He said "Madrid streets are very narrow and accident will cost you a fortune". He told us we only been paying 172.541150381422 euros and we give him the card and sign and they charge us 1,663.49 euros. We been scam and robbed by Avis Europe.

I had rented a car from the Miami airport location. I initially told the agent that I would return the car in Fort Lauderdale. In Wake of the Fort Lauderdale Airport shootings, the airport was closed where I could not return my rental car for 2 days. I called Avis on two different occasions and two different reps gave me the same information, that I did not have a set date to return the car to Miami and the price will remain the same for a one-day rental period. I return the car to Miami 2 days later, and my price tripled the amount but I was previously stated. I was absolutely livid. I spoke with the customer service desk at the airport, a supervisor and they did it just one day. That was not good enough because I was told something totally different. He suggested that I call customer service through the 800 number.

I called customer service through the 800 number and ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor did eventually pull the tape of the conversation that I had with the initial agent. And, found out that everything that I had said was totally true. Avis says they will adjust my price what it is supposed to be. I will see when my credit card receipt comes in. In the meanwhile, Avis needs to train their customer service reps better, and higher reps that can clearly understand an English-speaking person, and speak English clearly themselves. I would never go back to Avis again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Stay away from Avis car rental!!! They do not stand behind their reservations. I reserved a 2 vehicles 6 months in advance. I confirmed them just 2 days prior to visiting St. Lucia. When I asked the Avis agent behind the counter about our vehicles in St Lucia, she looked at me and told me they don't have anything for me! She didn't even look at my confirmation #!!! She told me they don't even communicate with Avis. What kind of business is this? So I called the company in tears and talked to them for 45 min. and didn't get anywhere. They are a terrible company with the worst customer service!!!

** was my reservation with Avis on the island of Dominica on 12/24 at the Melville Hall Airport. When we arrived on time, we went to collect our bags and then went to the counter to get the car. No car was there. No other cars were available. Another rental car company was available to rent me a car, and they agreed to keep our same rate, but we had no car for a 2 week vacation outside of the US. While on the island, we heard 2 other people to whom the same exact thing happened.

My boyfriend and I rented a car from Vegas for a few days to tour the Grand Canyon. We rented a White Ford Edge and took pictures of any damage done before we got in the car to drive off to our destination. It was minimal, tiny scratches and dents, nothing too big. However just in case we always take pictures and I recommend to those who don't DO start to. We returned the car a few days later with a full tank of gas and not a scratch on it from us. We did notice that the rental agreement had the wrong automobile on the paperwork and did call Avis to tell them a few times and what car we did drive. We paid $394.74 and thought it was done with.

NO, NO, NO, NO... We got a letter 27 days later saying we damaged the car and that they would be charging our credit card for $518.54. They didn't give any damage details, pictures, explanation or anything. Just a letter saying that we were liable for some false damage and we would have to pay for it. So we called, MANY MANY times to discuss and dispute the letter and got a few nice people and a few extremely rude people. They told us the wrong gas had been put in the car and it was damaged. I had to explain to them we didn't rent the car on our agreement and that they had us in the wrong car. They never gave us much for details and couldn't really hold up their side of the bogus charges.

After all the hassle and red tape we got our money back. I had even made a call to my lawyers, maybe I should send them my bill. I can't believe this company is still in business. I know this is a scam they have done many many times. They should be shut down and investigated by the feds. SCAMMERS and DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS. I will never again. EVER!!!

Be careful with how Avis/Budget work currency conversion. I hired a car at Schiphol airport and accepted the 1750 euro excess. I have travel insurance to cover this excess so there was no need to take out the additional 100 euros to reduce this excess to zero. I scratched the car in a minor parking incident. On returning the car I explained I was happy to pay for the damage excess, but as I had given Avis a visa travel card loaded with pre-purchased euros for our trip to cover the rental cost, I wanted to use another credit card to pay for the excess. The returning officer completely ignored my request. I think he thought I was trying to avoid paying the excess. I suppose this happens sometimes. Anyway the end result was it was charged against my travel card then, and again the following night for second excess payment 1750 euros. Why. Who knows.

Here's the thing though, when I hired the car there was no mention of being charged in Australian dollars. Never. If there was I would have instructed them to charge me the euros I had pre-purchased. I have been ripped off this way before. What they did without my knowledge was charge me in Australian dollars using their own retail currency conversion rate. This currency conversion added 250 euros to the cost of this 2000 euro rental! I also incurred an addition 100 euros expenses in having to access cash from another source after they locked all the pre-purchased funds on my travel card with their double excess charge, one of which was refunded a week or so after the rental. The whole experience was a disaster. The response from Avis on the ground was disgusting. Never again.

Avis rental told us, when our plan was canceled, that we could drive to our destination instead and turn it in at that airport "no problem". When we got the bill a $500 (!) charge had been added for the change in drop-off, without any notice or explanation. Customer service agreed we should have been told in advance of this cost but was only able to reduce it to $350. In addition filling our tank from partially full to full added another $150 (!) to our bill. We are a "Preferred Member" in the Avis "Wizard" program! We now are looking for a better company.

We were asked to pay the towing charges of $130 out of our pocket and AVIS promised us that it will be reimbursed. Did follow-ups more than 10 times, but no luck. AVIS - If you cannot keep your promise then why you are giving your words??? The story is here: We rented a van (Ford Transit) from Avis Columbus, OH on 06/20/2016 and were heading towards Washington DC (IAD airport) to pick-up our families. We start from Columbus at 8:30 and middle of the day (around 12:00 PM) the van broke down and called the "roadside service". They instructed us to turn off the engine and wait for couple of minutes and turn it on. We did the same as instructed and it worked and drove another 15 miles and again the same engine problem started.

This time the turning off the engine and on did not help and we could not move the vehicle at all. So, again called the roadside assistance and they sent a towing truck through Pennsylvania authorities as were on Turnpike highway. The customer care person told us to pay the towing charges and send the receipt details to Avis for reimbursement. She confirmed this with Avis customer care person over the phone. By the time the 1st towing vehicle came it was 3:30 PM. Our family arrive at airport at 3:00 PM. The 1st tow truck dropped us off the turnpike and the 2nd tow truck came at 6:40 PM. Our family was already waiting for us over 3 hours and still we were middle of the whole way.

The 2nd tow truck took us to Hagerstown, MD (that's where they were instructed to take us to get a replacement vehicle). By the time we reached Hagerstown regional airport it was 8:30 PM and that location was closed by 6:00 PM. When we asked the same question to customer care (called around 5:30 PM) they

confirmed us that they already informed the location supervisor and somebody would be waiting for us to get a replacement vehicle. We reached the Hagerstown at 8:30 PM and nobody was there to assist us. As the 2nd tow truck driver was instructed to take us to Hagerstown only so he unloaded the van from the truck and he was ready to return. Again we contacted the customer service and explained the entire details (told them that our families already landed and waiting for us at the airport) and they spoke to the tow truck driver again (for 40 mins).

Finally he got a confirmation to drive us to IAD Washington DC airport and he loaded the van again on his truck and drove us to IAD airport. After all the struggle we reached the AVIS location in IAD Washington DC airport at 11:30 PM. Our families with my toddler son & grandparents waiting at airport close to 9 hours after a long air travel. The AVIS person gave a replacement vehicle and which was bit smaller than we booked. So while returning we had to adjust so much and stuff the baggage to fit.

Worst experience ever. First, the cost was TWICE what I was told... and when I called to do an extension on my rental, the representative gave me a "ballpark" amount that my bill would be... $250 later. They definitely scam you out of stuff. I will WALK and use UBER before I EVER use Avis!

I hired a car from AVIS budget and drove it around Germany uneventfully for a month. When returned to Munich airport an inspector identified some microscopic. Spots which were already there when I received the vehicle. I agreed to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle however I did not damage the vehicle and AVIS budget have helped themselves to $1,400 from my credit card the moment the vehicle was returned.

I know this is a scam because of one specific Item. The vehicle inspector showed me a tiny chip on the inside of the passenger rear vision mirror. I examined the mirror carefully because of the chip. In AVIS's pictorial report there are scratches on the OUTSIDE of the mirror, and no stone chip. In my pictorial record the vehicle inspector is sitting inside the vehicle, and the mirror is completely unharmed. This is the "damaged" side of the vehicle and the mirror that had to be replaced. The moral of the story is don't accept a damaged vehicle from anyone, and don't think that photographs will help you. They've been no help to me.

The last 4 times I have rented with this company I have just had terrible experiences. Every time, they offer me a coupon and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt but I am always disappointed. There are so many issues I don't know where to start. Their customer service is awful. No one communicates or follows through with their "help." They have most recently committed fraud against my checking account after I cancelled my rental and they waived the cancellation fee. They then debited my account for a weird amount of money. I get hung up on when being transferred.

They don't go out of their way to help the client understand the contract or policies. They don't have enough people working at their locations and the lines have been up to two hour waits! None of their phone reps speak English. In the USA we speak English. That is the native tongue. Just like in Italy it's Italian. I could really write a whole novel about this company. I would like to actually help them straighten it out but I think they are too far gone down the rabbit hole of terribleness. If I could I would rate it 0 stars.

I have car rented from Austin, TX international airport for one day. After using one day, I have returned next day. My credit card should be charged with $52.37 and they charged $213 because at their end person collecting return car scanned car's bar code three days later. I talked with Avis and they mentioned it will take 3 days to get my money back. There is no apologies, commitment to fix the issue quickly. On top of that I tried at least 5-7 times to get e-receipt, their website didn't work. I called them multiple times and when I mentioned I need e-receipt, 3-4 times call was hung up intensively. I will never get car rented from Avis and also recommend others there are better options for car renting available instead Avis.

12-11-16 p.m.; reservations system not working online or by telephone. Called in four times this afternoon and they cut the connection after 3 to 10 minutes navigating through the menu system or listening to the music. Tried online and end up with infinite circular wait symbols. When I do get an actual person the say try back in 15 or 20 minutes, but this has not worked. I've been patronizing them for over 20 years, but that is sadly (for me) coming to an end!

We were going on vacation down to Florida for a week, beginning the trip with a rental car to take to BWI. Unfortunately when we came to rent the vehicle, we were informed that we are unable to use either of our debit cards due to them requiring a soft credit check (despite us paying the full amount up front). This included both USAA and Navy Federal Visa/Mastercards. Military members especially beware. Their customer service was also terrible, not caring at all for our predicament and simply walking away into a back room. This delay until we were able to get a friend to drive out to meet us with her credit card caused us to have to delay our flight, costing us an extra $300. I have no intentions of ever using this company again and will strongly recommend to all friends and family to do the same.

After having been a loyal Avis customer for many year, I was shocked and appalled about their customer service and outright fraud when I rented a car at Helsinki Airport. I dropped the car off at their garage at off-hours as is common when taking an early morning flight. The car was in perfect condition. Weeks later Avis charged me roughly 3000$ to my credit card claiming the car had had damages to it. Months later I have not received any proof or as much as a description to what kind of damages the car allegedly had.

My e-mails to Avis customer service here in the States and in Finland were answered with claims that it had not been possible to send me the pictures proving the alleged damage by e-mail due to limitations of my e-mail account. This is entirely fabricated as I receive e-mails with large attachments to this e-mail account daily. Stay away from Avis rental car at Helsinki airport!!

I was rushing for a funeral and made a reservation in person at the airport Avis counter. Agreed to a decent daily price of $35, and went through a bunch of signatures, etc., as usual in any car rental. The rep seemed super nice, offered me a price discount owing to my rush and funeral distress, etc. Upon return I was charged an extra $89.97 for insurance. (I always reject such insurance.)

When I called Avis to inquire, I was informed that if a customer books at counter, they "must" charge for insurance. That's their model. Only way to avoid insurance is to book online. Phone agent said this fact was in my contract; well, it probably was buried somewhere in the 6 point font contract, which I got AFTER agreeing to the car, signing everything, etc. Bottom line: do not rent from Avis at counter. They will charge for insurance without asking you about it and without you requesting it, and you might assume that insurance was one of the things you declined in the multi-step signing process, but it's not! Buyer beware!

I rent cars while travelling for business and I keep all expense receipts. This is the second time I have been charged for fuel even though I returned the car with full tank (once in Germany, recently in Paris CDG). Both times I sent a complaint to Avis and they refunded my credit card. BUT, it seems that this can be a commonplace activity and they systematically overcharge the customers. That means that their employees are running scams stealing the money "pretending" to fuel the cars. Besides employee fraud, Avis runs their own. Their refuelling charges and what they charge per liter of petrol are exorbitant. BEWARE!

I have always rented cars, but never from Avis. I thought I would give it a try since they had very good deals online. I didn't read the reviews, which I should have. I drove from Canada to the States. On the way I had to switch cars twice, due to car problems. Every time I had to call an Avis rep they had no idea about anything. Finally I dropped off the car after my vacation. I wasted several precious days from my vacation sitting at different Avis locations exchanging cars. I was promised a refund due to all my problems, that was a month ago. Still no sign of the refund, Avis is just making up stories about future dates for the refund. Also I read in another review that after exchanging cars, the paperwork doesn't show it happened. Same story. After dropping off the car, there is no trail of anything that has happened. DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS!

I rented a car from Avis using their website. This was for a car that I would pick up at an airport in Turkey and return to different airport in Turkey. Insurance was optional and I did not chose to purchase insurance because my visa card has insurance for the car rental. After arriving at the airport in Turkey the person behind the counter would not allow me to pick up the car without purchasing insurance. I explained that I did not want this and that my credit card policy covers the rental car. This was not an issue of language barrier because I speak the local language. They insisted that I purchase the insurance or they would not allow me to get the car. Having already paid for the car online I felt I had no choice but the purchase the insurance or else lose the money I had already paid. After returning to the USA I complained to Avis about this and asked for a refund of the insurance.

After I made many phone calls and waited 2 weeks they sent a very short email with only a few sentences and said that they find the charges to be correct without any farther explanation. I explained that this lack of explaining why they feel I was treated appropriately and should have been forced to purchase insurance is not acceptable. They asked that I wait while they review the issue again. 3 days later I received another very short email with the same explanation. I feel that I was treated unjustly and was forced to purchase something that I did not need. I also feel that Avis does not care to take time to fix this or explain to me why they feel that I should have been forced to purchase insurance for this rental. Extortion is the word that comes to mind. I was in a very difficult situation at an airport in a foreign country, picking up a car that I had already paid for and this situation was taken advantage of for profit. I will never use this company again.

I am writing this to warn anyone considering a car rental through Avis Budget at the airport in Rome Italy to not do it. I recently rented from them and after receiving a quote for approximately $500, was charged over $1300. Unfortunately, it was due to my own lack of attention to detail and being awake for over 24 hours, but that is not an excuse for their lack of honoring the quotation I received prior to my trip. The agent at the desk added many unwanted extras to the agreement and being in a hurry to get to my final destination, I did not pay attention to what I was signing.

Upon returning the vehicle, the person at the desk was not very helpful with my issue and could not get a supervisor to help me. I contacted the US customer service group to seek help in getting some resolution to this overcharge, but except for a $69 credit, there was nothing that could be done. My advice to anyone considering using these people is find another rental agency or if you have the misfortune to use them, read the agreement carefully.

Avis/Budget has merge into 1 company. I been renting from Budget for 15 month now, as a fastbreak & aarp member. I had made a few legitimate complaints against the rental agent & manager at the bwi airport. After I was deny service at Budget, I started going to Avis to rent. I rented at Avis for 2 straight weekend, & I became a preferred member. Getting ready to rent for the 3rd time at Avis at bwi, the manager told me that I was on the do not rent list.

I sent a e-mail & called the customer service office about this injustice they done to me. I strongly believe that Budget Rent a Car had retaliated against me, because I was consistent, of following up on my complaints against the 2 employees & (manager) that had denied me service, when they violated my consumer rights. Consumers have a right to make complaints, comments, & suggestions to the company. Unfortunately, I was single out because I exercise my rights as a consumer, when I was mistreated & dissatisfied with the Budget rental agent & manager. To all consumer, if you not getting the satisfaction that you entitled to, stand up for your rights.

I will never rent from Avis/Budget ever again. After reading the other complaints, as well as the experience I had...I refuse to do business with them and I will inform everyone I know and every customer service blog that I can freely post on, regarding their unsatisfactory service. I was overcharged, with unauthorized charges for my rental at Orlando International Airport in November 2016. Clearly I have a copy of the contract, showing I refused other add on options, but was still yet charged. I also offered to email my billing statement to the manager who was currently assisting me, but she refused to receive my proof of THEIR unauthorized charges. She then proceeded, her name is Robin, to tell me that there is no one higher than her that I can speak with regarding these unauthorized charges. I was very upset and dissatisfied with Avis. Please, if you're reading these comments, take heed...do not rent from them.

Rented a car from Avis. It did not work. Had to call for road help twice. Exchanged cars for one that worked. Now out of the blue I am being charged $662.58. Two months later. Their paperwork does not even show I had to switch to a different car. No damage was done in my car. The car that I exchanged could not get miles because it died in their parking lot also. Now they want me to find where I exchanged after losing two days to my trip due to their car. This company is scamming me! Plus I took out insurance on their car. Help!!!

The manager in Avis refused to speak with me. The call handler disconnected the call. All I was offered was vouchers. Although I have had to select ‘quality of service’ I have in fact a number of complaints under the following multiple headings. Quality of Service, Wrong car grade provided, Poor quality of car. I shall now give full details under these headings.

Quality of Service: Long waiting time on arrival. On arrival at Tivat Airport, although only 3rd in the queue I had to wait more than 30 minutes to be served at the Avis counter. The reason for this apparently was that everyone was advised that they had been sold inappropriate insurance online. I also was so advised and had to buy appropriate insurance. I then had to ring RentalCars from Monte Negro to cancel my initial insurance. I spoke to a very helpful Dutch sounding call handler who canceled my original insurance.

I was not advised that in Montenegro headlights are required to be on even during daylight. I was not given a car with this as an automatic feature nor was I given the car with the headlights on with the advice that I should not touch this control. As a consequence I was stopped by the police 2 days later and was given a penalty of 34 euros. The policeman confiscated my driver’s license and told me to go to a bank in Herceg Novi, approximately 17 km distance to pay the penalty. He told me that he would be in the same place for about 3 hours afterwards. I went to Herceg Novi but could find no bank open. The whole undertaking took about 4 hours of my holiday. I was therefore unable to see him the same day.

He had however written down his telephone number with the advice for me to phone him when this penalty was paid. I paid the penalty of 34 euros plus 50 cents fee at the post office in Perast where I was staying the following day. At my request the post mistress kindly rang the policeman who advised her that I now had to go to Herceg Novi post office to get my drivers license. This was despite the fact that he had indicated to me that he would return it to me in person once the penalty was paid.

I therefore had to travel again to Herceg Novi. I eventually found the post office but my driver's license was not there. The clerk, who kindly rang the policeman again was informed by him that the license was in fact at the police station. I then had to walk across town to the police station and to then find the appropriate room. I was then given my driver's license back. This again took about 4–5 hours of my holiday. There was an extra requirement of fuel associated with these journeys of approximately 70 km. (17.5 km x 2, twice) In these circumstances I consider that Avis failed in their Duty of Care to me in that they did not advise me of something that I could not have anticipated and in the alternative did not provide me with a vehicle which would have avoided this problem. I therefore consider Avis fully liable for the subsequent problems and further complications arising.

Wrong car provided: I had deliberately requested a small car, a Chevrolet Spark. I knew that the roads in Montenegro were narrow and difficult. However when I checked in I was told that no cars were available in this size or class and I was given a much larger car, a Renault Fluence which is much more cumbersome and as I was quite correct in my assessment of Montenegron roads much more difficult and hazardous to drive. It also was more expensive in fuel consumption. As a consequence we did not dare to try the mountainous roads which although recommended for their beauty are also described as difficult with a need to reverse on winding mountainous roads if another car is encountered with insufficient room to pass each other.

When I rang RentalCars from Montenegro I also advised the helpful Dutch call handler of this problem too. She said that she would try to contract Avis in Tivat to see if they could exchange the car for a smaller one. She tried to phone them when I was on the phone. However she advised me that they were not answering the phone. I asked, and she agreed that if she were successful in contacting them afterwards she would email me on **. I did not get any further information or have any contact with her afterwards. Poor Quality of car: The car had multiple scratches and paint damage. There were cigarette stubs left in the ashtray from the previous user which I cleared out because of the smell. In the context of these multiple complaints I request that you fully compensate me for all of the issues identified in this complaint.

Avis is a scam of a company. I rented a car for one day, and returned it to a location with afterhours drop-off. I returned the vehicle—undamaged--and deposited the key in the key deposit box. I received a call the next day saying the vehicle hadn't been returned--so I drove by the drop-off place and saw the same car in the lot. I called them and according to them, the vehicle was in their records and they assured me everything was fine and they had a record of the car being in the lot. A few months later, I got a charge of almost $6k from Avis, and when I called them, apparently the car had been found abandoned in another city. They never even notified me before making this charge, although the vehicle was stolen off of their property. Honestly, I suspect that it was an inside job and probably an Avis employee stole the car knowing they could get away with it and charge an innocent customer.

I have filed a dispute with my bank and filed a police report, and dealing with Avis has been absolute hell. I finally got them to admit that because I had rental insurance, I was not at fault for the incident, but they have still not removed the charges. They cannot seem to keep track of the incident details, and are an absolute mess to deal with. I know that they knew the car was returned, and I even told them I saw it in the lot, and had verification that they also had the car in their system!!

They have all of the evidence--the key should have been logged in the system. They have security footage, and presumably the record of the phone call, but they just don't even care and/or are so disorganized that they cannot keep track of their own vehicles and just feel free to charge their customers thousands of dollars for doing nothing wrong. It has been ridiculous to deal with this company--whether they intentionally did this to steal from a customer. I don't know, but they have completely taken advantage of the situation and have done nothing to help rectify it. Never, ever again would I use this company!! They are absolute criminals.

A few years ago my wife and I had a delightful vacation in Germany, until we returned our Avis rental car (Renault diesel) at Frankfurt am Main International Airport. For a scratch on one of the wheel covers and scuffs on the tire we had to pay about $800. Then we were accused of losing the radio antenna which Avis later found in the rear of the car. Complaining that the scratch and scuffs were probably there at the time we rented the car did not succeed in eliminating or reducing the payment. Complaining to Capital One Credit Card Company with which we rented the car did no good at all. Stay away from Avis in Germany, they have a racket going on at Frankfurt Airport. Stay away from Capital One - they have deaf ears to complaints.

If you enjoy a huge ripoff then you must go to Avis in the Panama City airport. I reserved a car a month ahead of my trip and the price was roughly $180. When I arrived to pick up the car I told them I had insurance with my credit card. They said “Fine. You must bond the car with your credit card. $10,000.” The car never even cost this much to purchase. I said ok to use my credit card. Unfortunately Citibank puts a hold on everything until you call them. So I said “Ok I will take your insurance on the car.” The total cost for the car suddenly became $454. When I returned the car after a week I was 3 hours late. $88 for 3 hours overtime. I have been using Avis and/or Budget for over 50 years and it will never happen again and of course I will inform every last person I know what a wonderful company they are.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
  • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
  • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
  • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
  • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
  • Best for Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars