1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1296 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I rented a car from 3 to 11 January from Avis Munchen Airport. All good till returning the car. Nobody told me when I took the car that I need to keep fuel receipts - I rent cars for some good years and it is the first time I saw a car rental employee straight and quite offensively asking me for the fuel receipt instead of getting in the car and turning the key to check the fuel level. I filled in the fuel tank in a gas station 7 km away from the return point, really I am not playing with this. I have the notification from the bank for the payment I made to the gas station, yet today I received the invoice and I see the "gentleman" from Avis wrote I returned the car 7/8 full. This is an open day lie, as after the gas pump stopped I pressed once again to check and the tank was full.

I felt not only like being robbed but also like being accused by some frustrated guys there that I may have been trying to benefit of a liter of gasoline from Avis. Outrageous. I went to complain to the Avis office in Munchen airport and I found a bunch of arrogants, both in front desk and the office manager. I was complaining how is it possible to feel like I am accused of stealing a liter of gasoline, on my money and on my time at the end of a vacation, and the two guys there kept saying that they can delete a 10 euro possible overcharge - absolutely missing the point. Overall, a Skoda Superb with manual gear, rented from 3 Jan to 11 Jan, with no damage to the car, ended costing 900 EUR at Avis - I let you judge if this is about being ripped off or not. Shame on Avis for this.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Arrived 930 pm on Dec 26 to discover, along with about 100 other people, that there were no vehicles available, despite being pre-paid, reservations for 6 months, preferred customer. Shuttle bus after shuttle bus kept arriving to deliver us to an empty lot, with the manager herding us in to apologize. "Put your name on this piece of paper, and we will call you when one is available..." 5 days later they called me, despite me trying to work with corporate and the local outlet 4 times a day until they called. Only got voicemails. I hope they understand that trips are expensive, and this really sucked.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

This is the first time I have written a review because I have never been treated so bad. Whatever you do do not use Avis in West Palm Beach. Customer service reps were completely incompetent. It took 3 trips to the lot for them to find the car they rented to me. Then when I complained they told me they were going to void the rental and I must leave the property. I wonder if their bosses knew they had the sale made and money in hand and were going to void it due to their incompetence if they would still have a job. As far as the vehicle goes mostly worn tires, wipers looked OE with 37k on the car. If I could give a 0 star review I would.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Just attempted to rent a car in Orlando. Avis originally said we were all set and a car would be ready this morning for us. We checked out of our hotel and went down to get the car from the Avis desk at the hotel and when they ran our card an error was coming up. Lady had no idea what it was so we waited while she called someone. 20 minutes later was told it was probably because they do credit checks with debit cards (which we were not informed about prior and never consented to a credit check) so they tried my info instead of my husband's. Same error code.

So now not only are we stranded with no vehicle, you’ve hit both our credit reports with negative pings because I KNOW every time a company runs your credit it gets hit in a negative way. So we just called Enterprise & guess what? We have a car coming. Thanks so much for all this BS/stress/horrible service and negatively impacting us. First and LAST time ever attempting to do business with you!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

In July 2018 at SeaTac Avis, it took 75 minutes after getting to the desk to get our car. We had booked in advance but no car of our size was available and no upgrade was offered in lieu of waiting. The Avis employee next to us gave a free tank of gas to 2 persons in a row, saying to the first that it was a gift and that Avis wants to make people happy. To the second one she said it was for waiting, which was not more than 5 minutes as the line was very short at that time. We asked our Avis employee about getting a free tank of gas as we had waited so long and she would not look into this.

She was not informative and was going to charge us $65 for the spouse to drive, as she said that we would pay $65 per driver. In fact, spouses are free and she never asked if we were married, which we were. The car we finally got had been hurriedly cleaned. Still had many bug spots and the passenger seat was wet as the window had been left open when washing the car. The car did, however, run fine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I reserved a vehicle thru AVIS.com and ordered a Premium SUV-8 passenger vehicle (Suburban). When I landed in Santa Barbara Airport, the agent told me that he did not have a SUV, and that they haven't had one in about 30 days. I told him that I prepaid for a SUV thru AVIS website and he said why did they that. Anyway he gave me a lower priced vehicle in which still didn't accommodate my group, but we had no choice. We received a Ford F-150 crew cab with 45,000 miles on it.

My complaint is that they charged me for a Premium Vehicle and got a truck that looked liked it was used for construction. Headquarters told me I will not be receiving a refund because I turned in the vehicle 1 day early. But yet I paid for a Premium SUV. Be aware of the prepay, you wont be saving any money. Also be aware of the fees, (customer facility fee, concession recovery fee, Tourism assessment fee, vehicle license fee). I will never ever use AVIS, the worst rental company ever. If you need to use this company, read all documents before you get boned.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I understand that AVIS is a reputable company and has rental offices around the globe with many satisfied customers but sometimes things happen and at this very moment I'm dealing with one of those "things". After several hours, numerous phone calls and emails trying to resolve a mistake overcharge, it's time for the help of social media. Rental # ** (rented and returned to Lisbon airport from 10/28/18-11/4/18). Case # **.

I prepaid for the vehicle online with my credit card through my credit cards website (Chase). When I picked up the vehicle they precharged my card 80 Euros for the toll fees. Upon receiving the rental agreement email I noticed that they charged me for the Fuel prepaid service charge, something I declined 3 times with them at the counter. When I returned the vehicle, I returned it on the 4th completely full of gas. After getting back home my credit card got charged 203.16 Euros for 2 days of late rental and bringing vehicle back on EMPTY! First of all car was returned full. Second I supposedly authorized prepaid fuel. 3rd I flew out of the country on the 4th but supposedly returned vehicle on the 6th.

I contacted AVIS several times and finally created a case # **. After some time I finally got a response from James ** and he stated that my credit card will be refunded for the fuel and did not mention anything about all the other overcharges and has not replied to my emails. I would like a representative of AVIS to please resolve this for me once and for all.

The charges to my card are: 1). 65.81 Euros for fuel up front option, 2). 15.07 Euros For toll road scanner, 3). 203.16 Euros for Fuel charge and 2 EXTRA DAYS of rental, 4). 130.40 Euros for tolls. The only legitimate charges are #2 and #4 for a total of 145.47 Euros. I am owed 268.97 Euros. So far I have only been refunded 61.05 Euros which means AVIS STILL OWES ME 207.92 EUROS.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My family rented a Chevy Suburban from SeaTac Avis for a ski trip to Whistler. We had negotiated for a four wheeled drive. When my wife went to pick up the vehicle she noticed on the paperwork that it was NOT a four wheeled drive but was rear wheeled. She tearfully spoke with a manager indicating we couldn’t make it up on the mountain with rear wheel drive. He calmed her down and said because she was a preferred (and twenty year customer) he would take care of it. Moments later he excitedly informed her she was in luck they had a “all wheel” Suburban. We loaded the rig up with 7 people and all the gear and headed up to Whistler. Roads were clear so there were no issues.

The next day it dumped snow and we quickly realized it was a rear wheel drive. The vehicle also broke down try to spin up the mountain to our house. I have since spent over 4 hours being jerked around. They had no similar replacements that would accommodate our crew. They suggested that I drive to Vancouver to switch (only if a similar vehicle came in). As it stands I am being forced to rent two vehicles at my cost. I have been lied to by multiple Avis reps during this process. Been hung up on. Been told I would get a call back and then not. The level of dishonesty is ingrained in the culture of this company. Vacation ruined spending three days on the phone trying to work something out. We are lucky we weren’t killed driving on snowy roads thinking we were in an all wheel drive when in reality it was not. Shame on Avis.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I rented a car from Avis in Salt Lake City with plans to drop off in Denver. The agent on the (800) reservation accidentally put in Salt Lake City as the return location. When I saw the screw up I called and they told me they fixed it. When I dropped it off in Denver they charged me $790.40. I have been trying to resolve this for days and they continue to push me to new people. I have now spoken to 8 different Avis employees in the past 24 hours and the last one told me it was my fault. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. I am a 2 million mile flier on United and a 1 million mile flier on Emirates. I usually rent from Hertz. I will never rent from Avis again and will cancel my corporate account and will tell everyone I know to avoid Avis.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We had to wait for over 3 hours in the parking garage in Honolulu for a car. They won’t admit they overbooked. We were only here for a short stay after being on Big Island and was looking forward to a Pearl Harbor tour or at least the sunset today. We started our wait at 2:45 and is now 6:05 and still waiting for a car. All other agencies have admitted to having no available cars and that they overbooked. There is no staff explaining to people where lines are, expected wait, etc. and, we are in the preferred line! Unacceptable!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Just wanna say that at Wilmington ILM Kristen is always professional with a smile. She’s always very helpful to whatever needs I may have. She’s an asset to the company. Keep up the good work. Whenever I’m in a bind as far as what type vehicle I need she goes above and beyond to make sure the customer is satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They had 2 people handling paperwork for 20+ people in line, and they were working express with none working regular line. So when someone came to express they would jump to front and skip people waiting 2 hours in line. I could understand 1 person working that line; this was needlessly cruel. The car was covered in water spots that made it really difficult to see out of the back window and mirrors. They refused to offer anything for such a horrible customer experience and were completely unapologetic. The worst was when I called customer service hotline to complain because of the horrible experience, they vindictively changed my rental rate from $78 to $176. Rent here at your own risk. Plan 2 hours for pickup, and be prepared to argue with a wall when they screw up.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had to rent a vehicle from Avis Rent a Car Systems at 1101 East Roosevelt Rd., Lombard, Il 60148, (630) 620-9113. I rented two different vehicles during a two week span. Agency Operator, **, was extremely helpful, courteous, and worked with me to afford me the best possible prices. ** and his team were very accommodating and I recommend their services.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I rented a car of Avis at ST John's Newfoundland Airport Malibu Sedan for 1 day. Only cost me about $320, really big Problem. After that they steal from the MasterCard account from time to time With different arguments...

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I will not use Avis Budget again and don’t recommend it to others either. I rented via the web, a car for 6 days in Nice, France with pickup at the airport. Not only they did not have the car from my rental reservation and they downgraded the car, but I also ended up with a whopping 1.224 Euro charge on my credit card the day of the car drop off.

It took several emails with no response and then a call to customer service to finally get the bill emailed to me. The bill showed a 1.224 Euro as “Franchise” charge. I called customer service again just to be told that it is a “damage” charge. Knowing that I left the car in same condition as I took it, I requested details on what kind of damage they could have recorded. The customer agent could not tell me anything about the claimed damage, but promised that they’ll send me a detailed “engineer report” within 2-5 weeks! Fortunately I took pictures when I dropped the car, which I recommend everyone to do regardless of the rental company used. I emailed them the pictures showing the car from different angles, with the setting of the airport drop off place in the background. A bitter experience with Avis Budget, which I will not do the mistake to repeat ever again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My flight to Manchester in the UK was delayed by 48 hours due to weather. I called Avis to let them know I would be late and was told my pre-booked and paid for (months ago) reservation would be canceled if I didn't show up within 24 hours of the booking time. So here we are just days before Christmas trying to find another rental car. Exactly where I planned not to be by pre-booking. I couldn't cancel without losing my money but it seems they can.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Somehow entered wrong dates for my rental car reservation. Selected the 25th as the pickup date instead of the 24th, which was the intended date - the drop off dated remained the same for the 28th. Within 10 minutes of making the reservation I called customer care to inquire about modifying the reservation and I was quoted nearly double price to add one day. Original price for 25-28th was $458. To add one extra day would have costed me an additional $357, per the customer service rep. This is outrageous, especially when I could log onto the website myself and redo the reservation for only an additional $77.40 + taxes.

When asked if they would waive my cancellation fee, so that I could re-book at the fair price, they were told they can not and will not waive the fee. Nor would they match the price of 77.40 + tax for the extra day. I've used Avis several times as a rental car provider, seeing that we travel to Florida 2-3 times a year. After this experience and being required to pay this $50 fee in order to re-do my rental for the fair price I can guarantee that I will no longer be using Avis again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Rented a van from Miami to Connecticut, the van was dirty and not serviced. The washer fluid had not been filled, so we were unable to have clean windows. The engine light came on the 3rd day and the tire pressure light was on for 2 days, even after we put air in them. Rent a junk with Avis!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Horrible! I drove the Jeep one day, drive less than 30 miles and have a tire blowout that endangered my life, stranded me, and received a bill to pay for their roadside service they coordinated. Had to wait over 2 hours in at night, alone with complete strangers driving by, honking. Completely a traumatic situation. AVIS was apathetic to the situation and put me in a dangerous situation. I will no longer rent from Avis. Horrible! Ps. I was an AVIS Preferred member. Response from Avis - did not do an investigation obviously. “Thank you for contacting our Avis customer service department regarding the charges related to damage from your rental. We apologize for any issues that occurred during this rental. We understand the frustration that comes with unexpected damage charges and would be pleased to assist you.

After reviewing the documentation attached to this case, we have found no pre-existing damage was listed for this vehicle. After investigating this matter, we have found the repairs do match the date of return. We have found the charges billed for damage are valid, and our customer service department would have to uphold them as charged. Thank you again for contacting Avis with this issue. We do hope this information will be helpful in explaining the charges involved, and do apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused.”

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Due to bad weather, they jack prices up $90 extra. This was absurd. Customer service was terrible and did nothing to help the situation. The company overall is just terrible. Took everybody's money and do nothing to help the consumers with their experiences. First time renting a car and was disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

AVIS did not meet their end of the agreed to contract - I would never recommend renting through AVIS on international travel. I am still dealing with a case number which I had opened immediately after returning from travel on 10/6/18. It began with a pick-up of the vehicle in Germany on 9/24/18. At which point I was informed I had a security deposit of 950 Euros. I was never provided a heads up, but I went ahead and provided my credit card for the security deposit. I then leave with the vehicle not fully fueled and was told that the fuel gauge is not reading accurately. I was assured the vehicle was fully fueled based on their paperwork. (In having the vehicle for 2 weeks, I found no issues with the fuel gauge.)

A few days later, I found the security deposit ended up posting to my credit card statement as opposed to remaining as a pending transaction that should have simply been lifted upon the return of the vehicle. Security deposits should be an authorization for a hold on funds from the bank, not an approved transaction that posts. Because the security deposit posted, I ended up being subject to the differences in the currency exchange rate from the time I picked up the vehicle to the time I returned the vehicle. This led to an extra payment of $38.82 that was not part of the agreed to contract.

Prior to returning the vehicle to the drop off, I was sure to fill up and kept the copy of the fuel receipt. When I returned from my travels, I then found an additional $48.30 refuel charge even though I returned the vehicle fully fueled. I ended up paying an extra $87.12 on top of the contracted rate for the rental. After disputing the fuel charge and receiving the refund for $48.30, I am still waiting on the overcharge due to the unauthorized posting of the security deposit.

On 12/10/18, I am then notified of an additional AVIS charge on my card for the amount of $34.47. I contact customer service, and I am informed it is for a traffic ticket that I have yet to receive in the mail. So instead of processing both traffic fine and the outstanding credit owed back to me concurrently, I am charged an additional $34.47 without prior warning, and I am still owed $38.82. It is safe to say I will never rent from AVIS internationally again. Furthermore, if I hear the words security deposit when entering an AVIS location, I will immediately walk out.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I rented a car 11/21/18-11/27/18, I prepaid because when you prepay you get a 30% discount, so my total was $367.03 but they gave a $28.81 discount because the price changed. I returned the car on the 27th with a full tank of gas and was later charged an extra $67.63. So I called Avis and was told that $38.82 was for gas and $28.81 was for taxes. The same $28.81 that they refunded me before I picked up the car because the price had changed. I emailed my gas reciept to them however this is the second time they charged me for gas and had to refund me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I'm a preferred member. I was given paperwork and check out a SUV. I put my bag in the vehicle while I was waiting on my other guest to arrive on flights. I return back to car some hours later to find that my bag was gone along with the rental car. One of the agents check the car back in then rented the car to another customer. My bag is still not with me. I had to buy clothes, I miss some meetings because I wasn’t prepared for because I had papers needed in my bag. I have a push start automobile that I have yet to move because the remote starter is in my bag... A mgr did call me 2 days after I returned home to tell me that the customer returned with the vehicle along with my bag. A mgr name Toni called and told me they had my credit card on file and that they could charge my card and have my bag sent to me... Why should I pay to have my bag sent to me. I did nothing wrong but be a preferred member... I need answers and I need my bag.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I reserved a car for a Saturday afternoon pickup and when I got there was advised that the people went home early at 1:00. I called the Avis company and their only advice was to pick up at 9:00 the following morning. I got there shortly after 9:00 am. Was told there were no cars available. I asked, "What happened to the car I reserved," and they told me it was rented out. I asked, "How could you rent out a vehicle that was reserved for me and you were closed in the interim? Furthermore why wouldn’t you have looked at your rental list and called me telling me such." In both occasions had to get a lift to pick up vehicle and needed to go to airport for a flight. I had to hire a cab to do so and was now over $200 instead of the $32 one way rental. No other rental car companies in the area open on a Sunday morning. Not happy with Avis one bit!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I had reserved the car, paid for it and then I was told it's not available, and then I was told that it is available but ONLY with the chauffeur. I am preparing a lawsuit against Avis. I believe there are others with similar situation. The Avis India is confident and content that this won't affect them in any way and I wish to change this contention.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I reserved a car online and prepaid using a credit card. I was able to wrap up my trip early and returned the car early. A line item on the receipt was labeled "Non-Refundable Prepay". That's right, if you return your car early on a prepay, you are penalized. You cannot get your money back. I will never use Avis again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We booked and paid for a rental vehicle a month in advance to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday to see our Marine son. The day of the rental pickup Avis called to advise they DID NOT HAVE A VEHICLE FOR US. Are you kidding me??? We booked and paid for it over a month ago... Isn't that what "booking a reservation" means? Called customer service 3 times and was advised they did not have any vehicles and I should call a competitor to try to get a car - THE DAY BEFORE THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY?? We had a RESERVATION a PAID reservation. We will NEVER again use Avis - horrible customer service, bad planning of reservations. I would have given them ZERO stars but system, required at least one.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Rented from Avis and kept the car for 12 hours. Was quoted $60 + $14 for a car seat and told if I returned it to a non-airport location I’d have to pay a fee which would make the tots $91. Dropped the car off and was charged $143. Charged EXTRA for dropping it off at the airport, charged for fuel (despite the tank being full), and nickel and dimes with things like “CFC” and “Concession Recovery” which nobody could explain. They are total fraud and know that the second you take possession of the car you are trapped. Bait and switch is the name of their game. Avoid this miserable company at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had rented a vehicle on the 3rd of October and returned it the same day. After a month, on the 12th of November, 2018, I was charged an additional 250 Canadian Dollars. Upon investigating, Avis claimed that the car was dirty? To provide context, I had the car for 8 hours. I drove it directly from Avis in Vancouver BC to Avis in Portland Oregon (airport), and hadn’t eaten or drank anything while driving it. After returning and inspecting it the employee said ‘everything looks fine’, and then thanked me.

Presently, I filed a complaint to the BBB as well as with my credit card company, thankfully they will complete an independent investigation. Avis is completing one too. In the event I’m not refunded I will escalate the claim and take it to small claims court in addition to filing a false claims act. I’m completely shocked and aghast at the blatant thievery at which this company is capable of. Please avoid using Avis Rental Cars, and if you still choose to do so take plenty of photos!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We will never rent a vehicle from Avis again. When we went to pick up our SUV, we had to wait an hour for it to be cleaned even though we reserved it online weeks earlier. While we had already paid full price online when we reserved our car, we were told there was ANOTHER $100 deposit just for online reservations. That extra deposit made the rental more than we would have paid if we would have just walked in. The girl who was working - the ONLY person there - rudely assured us that it was a refundable deposit.

We live 15 minutes away from the store & by the time we got the SUV back to our house, the maintenance lights for low tire pressure & refill wiper fluid were on. We went to put air in the tires & while the tires weren’t bald, they definitely hadn’t been kept up or replaced. We could never get anyone at the actual store to answer the phone - it kept getting re-routed to corporate. When we returned from our trip & turned in the car, it was the same girl at the counter & she was just as rude as before. She seemed to not care about the wiper fluid, the low tire pressure or the fact that the tires should be replaced before renting the vehicle to anyone else.

I have called the store number & the 800 number several times but still haven’t gotten an answer about my refundable deposit. Avis has a great price but their service in this location is the worst I have seen. Spend a little more & get something safe where there are actually people to answer your questions. In this case, you really do get what you pay for.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information