3.7/5 (1225 ratings)

About Avis

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: March 26, 2022

March 2022 rented an SUV at SFO airport and dropped off 8 days later at LAX. Drove over 700 miles with zero problems. Pick-up and drop off were a breeze, simple, and fast. Do yourself a favour and signup for Preferred customer status. It’s free but will save you massive lineups when picking up at SFO airport. As I said above, it was a wonderfully surprisingly great experience. Thanks for restoring my confidence. Will rent from you against when we do it our next trip down the PCH!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The managers are great and always take care of customers. The airport car rental experience is great. When you don’t find a car they help you. I always use Avis. You can see a difference in service from other car rental places.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I had trouble checking in, long lines and few customer service representatives. However, Antonio from the Boston Logan International Airport went above and beyond the call of duty to help me check out. I will continue using Avis just because of him. I am also recommending Avis to friends and family because of Antonio. I am happy to have made your acquaintance Antonio, from Brazil! Thank you for your great customer service. I work for Sound Physicians and travel weekly, so I use Avis often. Thank You. ~ Nanette ~

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I got a mini-lease rental from Avis (4 months). During these 4 months, I needed assistance with a few things such as: adding tolls, adding drivers, extending the rental and returning the rental earlier than the end date of the mini-lease. Their customer service answers call in an acceptable time. They helped me with my requests and explained everything in details. I never got the feeling that they want to make money out of the unexpected life events. For example I didn't pay anything extra neither for extending nor for returning the car earlier. Overall, I loved my experience with AVIS rental.

Original review: June 26, 2022

I had 2 bad experience recently with Avis and they were terrible. One of the Avis location booked a car for me for 465 dollars and when time to pick up, the Sienna we booked was recalled and they had to get another van from another location. After all the hassle of waiting and delaying the trip they charged me 200 dollars more on the other van. They never took responsibility for the originally confirmed price nor tried to honour the price. I filed a complaint with the customer service group and I have no calls from them yet.

The second incident is, I picked a car from the Roosevelt location in Philadelphia and after driving couple hours, the red light turned on for the engine and maintenance, I called the customer service and they made us go to the Avis Lehigh location. After detouring and driving 1 hour extra to get here, they wanted me to call the roadside assistance again and then after that approval was done they said they don’t have any cars for me. At this point, if I return the car here and take from Another company they are charging me for the 3 days car reservation I originally did or they will charge me 9.78 dollar for gas and give me a pick up truck instead of an intermediate car I originally rented.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Avis offers prepayment for a car and the day you are scheduled to pick up the car you receive a call saying “Sorry we don’t have any cars available at this location or in the area”. I proceed to cancel with the app and that would have cost me $150 so I called and was told I wouldn’t receive a refund for 5 to 10 days!!! Now I’m stranded with each customer service telling me, "I’m sorry." Avis, if you don’t have the ability to produce cars for your “prepaying customers” get rid of that feature until you do. Typically when you pay for a service or product that you can’t provide you receive a refund immediately so the consumer can purchase elsewhere. At least send the refund back with interest. You are too big for this.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I just got charged $105 for using about 2 gallons of gas in the US. I guess Avis has decided to now steal from their customers. Instead of being on hold for hours to speak to someone I'm charging the money back on my credit card.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Generally, we have had good luck with Avis/Budget. Until the rental car windshield was chipped on our last rental. We reported at turn-in. That agent knew nothing. We received an email with a phone # to call. Was on hold 45 minutes before the call dropped. Called back and held for another 50 minutes before that person picked up and said they were not the right department. Three more calls and three more hours later, I finally reached the end of the line saying that my auto insurance claim would not be honored and they would just charge my card and leave it to me to deal with my insurance co. The final insult was being forwarded to a Supervisor, and then that call was dropped also. Rent car companies charge way too much to not provide decent customer service.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I had pre-paid for my rental, three weeks in advance, using my Amazon credit line. In reading the fine print, there was nothing else I needed to do as I have my own vehicle insurance and was not required to purchase more coverage from Avis. All I was required to do is bring my state driver's license with me. The morning of my trip I arrive at the airport car rental desk where I am then and only then informed that I need a $250 deposit on a major credit card. I do not use major credit cards by choice and they would not allow my daughter-in-law to use her card. Nor would they allow use of a debit card. The manager was rude, dismissive, and 100% unwilling to help me in any way. I explained that I was on my way to a very important family function. She just did NOT care! Never again!

Original review: June 18, 2022

As a long-time Enterprise Car Rental customer, I had to work with Avis for a company trip since our company has had a long-time relationship with Avis. I arrived in Kansas City to pick up my car and was told by Avis that my company had chosen the "mystery car" option. I asked what this meant, and she said that whatever they had on the lot. I was directed to the very last car in the lot, past the shaded cars (in horrific heat) and was shocked at what I saw. The car had a big dent in the driver's side front bumper and was marked with a big white marking. I assumed it was marked by Avis. In addition the car was filthy inside and out. I don't mean a little dirty, I mean it looked like it had been driven off-road. I couldn't even clean the windshield with the auto wipers enough to see clearly when the sun was shining on it. And the windshield was also very dirty on the inside.

The doors, windows and back hatch were so dirty that every time I had to get something out of the car, my business clothes got dirt all over them. It was clear that this car was returned to Avis in this condition and then just rented out to me without any service. I was shocked. I had to drive this vehicle for 4 days. I also found out that two co-workers were given the "mystery car" options as well. One was forced to drive an older model very small sports car with bucket seats and couldn't get co-workers in the backseat. The other was forced to drive a pick up truck with no way to transport anyone either at our company event. To make matters worse, when I returned the car I was interrogated by Avis on the damage to the car. They finally did some research and admitted that the damage had been done by the previous renter. By the way, this car was not cheap. It was $600 for 4 days.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information