Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Avis has a very bad client service!!! I thought I'd hire a car with a decent global company. Small companies have really better service. I hired a car in Fez, Morocco for 7 days. At arrival at the airport in Fez I wanted to pay the deposit with my credit card. The Avis man said I could use the credit card without my pin code. But it did not work. And I did not succeed to use my pin code. I called my bank but they could not help either. In the Avis papers there was no sign that I had to use the pin code of my credit card. I hired cars before abroad and it was never a problem! The Avis man had no alternative for me to pay the deposit, and advised me to cancel the reservation. It would be without costs for me because it did not work.

I called Avis and there was no alternative left. They said they needed a copy of the attempt I tried to pay the deposit, which I have. I hired another car at another office for much more money. After my holiday I called Avis about the cancellation. Guess what! They are going to let me pay three days car hire! This is such a bad service. I could not help it. They did not mention I had to use the pin code of my credit card. I'll suggest everyone to avoid this company. They just want to make money. They spoil your holiday with very bad service.

Me and my family decided to rent a car from AVIS at the Fort Lauderdale Airport to drive the 28 min. to the Miami Cruise Port. We were told a shuttle would be at the AVIS car drop off center to get us to the ship. Well when we arrived at the drop off center we were told that the 500+ other customers were also waiting on the shuttle and it was a long wait. They stated they had just 3 shuttles for Budget and Avis. So after more than an hour wait we had to hail a cab to ensure we got to the cruise ship as the ship was leaving soon. That cost us 25.00 us and it's all because AVIS Miami isn't equipped to handle the volume of customers.

So 7 days later when we arrived back at the port of Miami and started waiting for a shuttle the same issue arrived! So after more than an hour waiting and having a flight to catch we had to hail a cab - yep another 25.00 us. When we got to the car rental place they had no cars to give us even though we had a reservation. After another lengthy wait a car arrived and we barely squished the luggage into it but we did. Then an AVIS employee who was parking another rental back right into our rental causing damage and didn't even stop. We had to get another employee and show him so we didn't get hit with charges. So when we got back home we called the customer service to relay our frustrations and they could care less! Never ever again will I choose this company. Buyer beware!

We rented a Nissan Note in Guadeloupe, January 26 - February 2, 2017. At the airport terminal desk we were given paperwork (in French) to sign and initial without any further instructions or explanations. At 7:30 pm we were shuttled to the Avis location on the outskirts of the airport where we presented our paperwork. There was more confusion from the employees as to which car/key we were to receive. After all other customers received their keys we were finally given our key and a receipt. From there we were instructed to go to the parking lot behind the building to retrieve our car on our own. There was confusion among many customers as to which car would be their car and where the "code" was to be entered. We all found our cars by using the door lock/lights.

The lot was open, dark, with cars packed tightly together. We drove the car to the front of the office and loaded in our luggage in the rain. This was the procedure that all other customers followed while we were there. The passenger side was facing away from the office and in the dark. We took approximately 20 minutes to load up our luggage and prepare to leave. AT NO TIME did an employee leave the office to assist with the vehicle pick up. AT NO TIME were we given a form to fill out regarding the condition of the car. AT NO TIME did we sign off on the condition of the car. We were given one receipt (in French) which states nothing about the condition of the vehicle... They wrongly gave us another customer's receipt to make matters worse. We put the receipt in the glove compartment and did not look at it until drop off on the 2nd.

We drove the vehicle from the Avis location in Les Abymes to our rental villa in Deshaies. We drove directly to our villa and made no stops. During the trip we were not involved in an accident or incident. The vehicle was parked on the right hand side of a driveway area with bushes on the right side. Early the next morning we, and our travel companions, noticed the dent on the lower section of the passenger door. We naturally assumed the vehicle came with the dent since we just rented it and we're not involved in an incident. Upon returning the vehicle at the end of the week the counter assistant told us our car had already been returned. We stated that it had not and pointed to where our vehicle was parked for return.

At that point we discovered we had been wrongly given another customer's receipt. She spent quite some time trying to locate our contract and was very very agitated. She finally found our contract, which was stapled to a bunch of other contracts. Upon inspecting the vehicle we were told we had to pay for the dent. We refused to take responsibility for the pre-existing dent but were forced to pay a $40 incident fee just to get a shuttle to the airport before we missed our 8:00 am flight. We left without being given a copy of our original receipt or contract.

Friday February 3rd, I called Avis to request our receipt. They had a hard time locating it and stated it showed the rental still open. Finally a downloadable receipt was emailed to me later that afternoon. Avis Les Abymes has charged us $3248.97, on top of the rental fee, for a pre-existing very small dent that was obviously caused by another vehicle due to the angle. We believe this is a total scam. We have a dispute claim in with Avis, our bank and our insurance company.

We rented a mini van from Avis, was told at the counter that any roadside assistance was cover in the rental agreement (running out of gas, jump start, flat tire, lockout). Well it just so happened that the keys got locked in the van. I call the roadside assistance #, was told again it was covered in the rental car, no charge to send someone out. Three weeks later $60 charge on my credit card. Now all I hear is no that wasn't part of the rental agreement. Just another company that scams people, now I'll be renting from Enterprise.

My husband and 6 grown children recently visited Bryce, Zion, and Death Valley National Parks. We flew into Las Vegas and rented a large vehicle from Avis. It was winter conditions in Bryce and had rained in Zion the day we arrived there. To say the least the ground was wet and often required brushing off our boots before entering the car. Upon arrival to return the vehicle, we cleaned out the extra maps, papers, etc. that always seem to accumulate when on a road trip. The car did have some extra soil on the carpet, nothing that a quick vacuum would not take up easily. Despite the weather conditions, I thought the car was pretty decent and like I said, we all made an effort to brush off as much debris as we could, and took extra care to not track in any mud into the car. Avis on the other hand, felt we should have vacuumed the car and returned it clean.

We have had several trips like this to parks, beaches, hiking in woods, skiing, and not once has a car rental place questioned the condition of the interior. And believe me, when the kids were younger it was much more of an issue. Avis took it upon themselves to charge us $150.00 extra to clean the car! Never in my life have I heard of this. Besides that, my whole 5 bedroom house doesn't cost $150 to clean. Ridiculous! We will never rent from them again and will share this story with as many people as we can. Furthermore, our rental with Avis in Alaska in June is getting canceled today!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

After a successful rental of $854 for 17 days (good car, pleasant employee), I got a $50 charge on my credit card after the fact. I called customer service, they looked it up and said it was for "satellite radio". I requested a refund. They said, you signed a contract. I said I did not agree to that. They said, you signed a contract. I said there is nothing listed in my prepaid agreement. They said you signed a contract. I said I shouldn't have to pay for a forced upgrade. They said you signed a contract. I said how unfair. Won't use you again! Just another way corporate America hoses the public.

Sadly I cannot even put just zero stars as that is all they deserve. Truly appalling company, such a misleading website and so many hidden charges and outright deceit. Once I had made a complaint it was not replied to or even though they acknowledged receiving it, is that even allowed?! And so I made a further and still no reply. Truly appalling customer service. Avoid at all costs and hopefully they will go bust.

This company is trash. I have been dealing with lots of other rental companies. Avis is clearly at the bottom of all the others, no doubt. They charge you different from the online reservation. And they calculate your mileage in a wrong way. They also take money from your account without even asking you. I have never had such a bad experience before. You should never give this company a chance.

I rented a car that was quoted at $210 pickup in one city and return in a different city. I had 3 additional drivers as this was a 10 hr drive. I was told additional drivers would add $11 each to the price I accepted what seemed to be an additional $33. When I returned the car the charge was $670. I called and asked why and they said that per policy the additional drivers were covered by all kinds of additional insurance including car theft each. I clearly waived all those additional charges but they insist that they have my initial on the part that says accept not waive. Are you seriously telling me that you have to cover the car for theft 3 times, once for each driver? And all the other bogus crap they added? If you have any sense stay clear of this ** company.

I recently rented a one way rental car from Avis to travel from Merritt Island FL to Orlando International Airport FL. Less than 1 mile from the airport I filled the vehicle with gas until the pump clicked off. I looked at the gauge and the needle was on Full. I pumped more gas in just to be sure because I know rental car companies charge $12 or $13 a gallon if the tank is not full at return. Two weeks later I see that Avis took it upon themselves to charge my credit card almost $14 for gasoline. When I called customer service and asked why they charged me gas she replied that when I returned the car the gas did not look full. I told her I topped it off past full and put 3 gallons in and I only drove the vehicle 35 miles. The nerve! I am so sick of having to watch every little thing! Shame on you Avis. They did say they would adjust the bill. I wonder how often this happens to other people who don't realize or take the time to correct it.

Rented a car from Rochester, NY to Topeka KS. When we picked up car, verified with agent that we had a two day rental to Topeka KS. When I got my credit card statement I was charged $300 since it was not returned to the same location. Called customer service and was hung up on by a supervisor. I called back and they told me nothing they can do. Customer service stinks. Hidden fees. Agent told me on the phone that the reservation was for a round trip, even though when we picked it up knew we were returning it to Topeka KS. STAY AWAY FROM AVIS unless you want extra charges and horrible customer service. Will NEVER USE AVIS AGAIN!!!

I made reservations budget Avis car rentals in Charleston South Carolina on two occasions by phone. Use my Visa debit card and got a reservation number and they got the $83 dollars for the rental. Get to the 390 meeting St. Mary Street location. They denied me. The reason I do not have a major credit card. That was not told to me when I made the reservation over the phone. This happened to me at the Citadel mall location as well 2016. They just made it clear to me they are racist towards ** and I will file a complaint with the EEOC.

On a recent trip to South Africa I was embroiled in an altercation with the manager of Avis car rentals, who for some reason would not honour the rental that I had taken out at the time of my booking. And I had to take out 3 separate contracts for my car hire. Now as I cannot get anyone to answer my e-mails of which I have sent. It seems that to bait and switch so that the customer is forced to take car rental at a premium is in order. All I need to know is this common of CheapOair to do this or has a misunderstanding taken place.

Beware of this rental car company. My husband and I rented a car in Florida for a week and recently got a bill for $75.00 cleaning fee claiming we had stained the interior? What? How in the world can we stain a leather seated car with black rugs? And we are positive there was zero damage to the car. When I reached out to "customer service" not only were they rude but they switched the reason to needing to vacuum the sand on the carpet. Hello? We had been in Florida going to beaches daily, there is going to be sand on the black carpet! I was told that I should have vacuumed.

This is not the first car we have ever rented but this is the first time I have been told to vacuum a car or I would get a charge. I tried to reason with these insane people and have now hit a wall. The credit card company is going to dispute but Avis has warned me they will take it to collections... omg this company is bad news. I have found this is a common practice with avis, sending out cleaning bills is a standard way they are making some extra money. At this point AVIS take it to collections. This behavior is going to cost you in the long run. NOT ME.

We travel to Europe quite often. Several years ago we used Avis at the Paris Airport. We took the car and got about 200 miles when the car broke down. After losing a full day being stranded, while Avis tried to figure what to do, we ended up backtracking 1 1/2 hrs by cab to get a new car. We used another company after that for several years. Last spring we decided to give Avis in Paris another chance. We arrived at the appointed time, only to be told that they didn't have our car. They asked if we would be willing to take another car at no extra charge. We agreed. We were asked about extra insurance which we always deny because we are covered by our credit card.

Upon returning the car we were told that the rental fee would be double what the original agreement was. When we asked why, we were told that we were being charged for an upgrade and insurance. We explained that we did not agree to either of those things. We were told that we would have to come back later as a manager was not there at that time to discuss it with us. We could not do that as we had a flight to catch.

When we returned to the US we disputed the bill with our credit card company. We were happy to pay the original amount, just not the extra charges. After months of fighting back and forth with Avis, we were told that it was their word against ours and we had to pay. We then contacted Avis and were told that Avis in Europe is different than Avis in the US and they couldn't do anything to help us. We work for a major Airline. We will never use Avis within the US and especially in Europe. We work with a lot of people who travel. We will be sure to tell everyone we know to be careful of being scammed especially in Europe.

Returned the car with no remarks, on time and without a breadcrumb on the inside. 6 months after, they're still charging my card. Will file Police report so my bank can refund the money since Avis won't.

When we went to pick up the already paid in the States car, the clerk convince us (two over 70 years old people, just coming from 16 hours fly) that we need extra insurance. He said "Madrid streets are very narrow and accident will cost you a fortune". He told us we only been paying 172.541150381422 euros and we give him the card and sign and they charge us 1,663.49 euros. We been scam and robbed by Avis Europe.

I had rented a car from the Miami airport location. I initially told the agent that I would return the car in Fort Lauderdale. In Wake of the Fort Lauderdale Airport shootings, the airport was closed where I could not return my rental car for 2 days. I called Avis on two different occasions and two different reps gave me the same information, that I did not have a set date to return the car to Miami and the price will remain the same for a one-day rental period. I return the car to Miami 2 days later, and my price tripled the amount but I was previously stated. I was absolutely livid. I spoke with the customer service desk at the airport, a supervisor and they did it just one day. That was not good enough because I was told something totally different. He suggested that I call customer service through the 800 number.

I called customer service through the 800 number and ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor did eventually pull the tape of the conversation that I had with the initial agent. And, found out that everything that I had said was totally true. Avis says they will adjust my price what it is supposed to be. I will see when my credit card receipt comes in. In the meanwhile, Avis needs to train their customer service reps better, and higher reps that can clearly understand an English-speaking person, and speak English clearly themselves. I would never go back to Avis again.

Stay away from Avis car rental!!! They do not stand behind their reservations. I reserved a 2 vehicles 6 months in advance. I confirmed them just 2 days prior to visiting St. Lucia. When I asked the Avis agent behind the counter about our vehicles in St Lucia, she looked at me and told me they don't have anything for me! She didn't even look at my confirmation #!!! She told me they don't even communicate with Avis. What kind of business is this? So I called the company in tears and talked to them for 45 min. and didn't get anywhere. They are a terrible company with the worst customer service!!!

** was my reservation with Avis on the island of Dominica on 12/24 at the Melville Hall Airport. When we arrived on time, we went to collect our bags and then went to the counter to get the car. No car was there. No other cars were available. Another rental car company was available to rent me a car, and they agreed to keep our same rate, but we had no car for a 2 week vacation outside of the US. While on the island, we heard 2 other people to whom the same exact thing happened.

My boyfriend and I rented a car from Vegas for a few days to tour the Grand Canyon. We rented a White Ford Edge and took pictures of any damage done before we got in the car to drive off to our destination. It was minimal, tiny scratches and dents, nothing too big. However just in case we always take pictures and I recommend to those who don't DO start to. We returned the car a few days later with a full tank of gas and not a scratch on it from us. We did notice that the rental agreement had the wrong automobile on the paperwork and did call Avis to tell them a few times and what car we did drive. We paid $394.74 and thought it was done with.

NO, NO, NO, NO... We got a letter 27 days later saying we damaged the car and that they would be charging our credit card for $518.54. They didn't give any damage details, pictures, explanation or anything. Just a letter saying that we were liable for some false damage and we would have to pay for it. So we called, MANY MANY times to discuss and dispute the letter and got a few nice people and a few extremely rude people. They told us the wrong gas had been put in the car and it was damaged. I had to explain to them we didn't rent the car on our agreement and that they had us in the wrong car. They never gave us much for details and couldn't really hold up their side of the bogus charges.

After all the hassle and red tape we got our money back. I had even made a call to my lawyers, maybe I should send them my bill. I can't believe this company is still in business. I know this is a scam they have done many many times. They should be shut down and investigated by the feds. SCAMMERS and DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS. I will never again. EVER!!!

Be careful with how Avis/Budget work currency conversion. I hired a car at Schiphol airport and accepted the 1750 euro excess. I have travel insurance to cover this excess so there was no need to take out the additional 100 euros to reduce this excess to zero. I scratched the car in a minor parking incident. On returning the car I explained I was happy to pay for the damage excess, but as I had given Avis a visa travel card loaded with pre-purchased euros for our trip to cover the rental cost, I wanted to use another credit card to pay for the excess. The returning officer completely ignored my request. I think he thought I was trying to avoid paying the excess. I suppose this happens sometimes. Anyway the end result was it was charged against my travel card then, and again the following night for second excess payment 1750 euros. Why. Who knows.

Here's the thing though, when I hired the car there was no mention of being charged in Australian dollars. Never. If there was I would have instructed them to charge me the euros I had pre-purchased. I have been ripped off this way before. What they did without my knowledge was charge me in Australian dollars using their own retail currency conversion rate. This currency conversion added 250 euros to the cost of this 2000 euro rental! I also incurred an addition 100 euros expenses in having to access cash from another source after they locked all the pre-purchased funds on my travel card with their double excess charge, one of which was refunded a week or so after the rental. The whole experience was a disaster. The response from Avis on the ground was disgusting. Never again.

Avis rental told us, when our plan was canceled, that we could drive to our destination instead and turn it in at that airport "no problem". When we got the bill a $500 (!) charge had been added for the change in drop-off, without any notice or explanation. Customer service agreed we should have been told in advance of this cost but was only able to reduce it to $350. In addition filling our tank from partially full to full added another $150 (!) to our bill. We are a "Preferred Member" in the Avis "Wizard" program! We now are looking for a better company.

We were asked to pay the towing charges of $130 out of our pocket and AVIS promised us that it will be reimbursed. Did follow-ups more than 10 times, but no luck. AVIS - If you cannot keep your promise then why you are giving your words??? The story is here: We rented a van (Ford Transit) from Avis Columbus, OH on 06/20/2016 and were heading towards Washington DC (IAD airport) to pick-up our families. We start from Columbus at 8:30 and middle of the day (around 12:00 PM) the van broke down and called the "roadside service". They instructed us to turn off the engine and wait for couple of minutes and turn it on. We did the same as instructed and it worked and drove another 15 miles and again the same engine problem started.

This time the turning off the engine and on did not help and we could not move the vehicle at all. So, again called the roadside assistance and they sent a towing truck through Pennsylvania authorities as were on Turnpike highway. The customer care person told us to pay the towing charges and send the receipt details to Avis for reimbursement. She confirmed this with Avis customer care person over the phone. By the time the 1st towing vehicle came it was 3:30 PM. Our family arrive at airport at 3:00 PM. The 1st tow truck dropped us off the turnpike and the 2nd tow truck came at 6:40 PM. Our family was already waiting for us over 3 hours and still we were middle of the whole way.

The 2nd tow truck took us to Hagerstown, MD (that's where they were instructed to take us to get a replacement vehicle). By the time we reached Hagerstown regional airport it was 8:30 PM and that location was closed by 6:00 PM. When we asked the same question to customer care (called around 5:30 PM) they

confirmed us that they already informed the location supervisor and somebody would be waiting for us to get a replacement vehicle. We reached the Hagerstown at 8:30 PM and nobody was there to assist us. As the 2nd tow truck driver was instructed to take us to Hagerstown only so he unloaded the van from the truck and he was ready to return. Again we contacted the customer service and explained the entire details (told them that our families already landed and waiting for us at the airport) and they spoke to the tow truck driver again (for 40 mins).

Finally he got a confirmation to drive us to IAD Washington DC airport and he loaded the van again on his truck and drove us to IAD airport. After all the struggle we reached the AVIS location in IAD Washington DC airport at 11:30 PM. Our families with my toddler son & grandparents waiting at airport close to 9 hours after a long air travel. The AVIS person gave a replacement vehicle and which was bit smaller than we booked. So while returning we had to adjust so much and stuff the baggage to fit.

Worst experience ever. First, the cost was TWICE what I was told... and when I called to do an extension on my rental, the representative gave me a "ballpark" amount that my bill would be... $250 later. They definitely scam you out of stuff. I will WALK and use UBER before I EVER use Avis!

I hired a car from AVIS budget and drove it around Germany uneventfully for a month. When returned to Munich airport an inspector identified some microscopic. Spots which were already there when I received the vehicle. I agreed to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle however I did not damage the vehicle and AVIS budget have helped themselves to $1,400 from my credit card the moment the vehicle was returned.

I know this is a scam because of one specific Item. The vehicle inspector showed me a tiny chip on the inside of the passenger rear vision mirror. I examined the mirror carefully because of the chip. In AVIS's pictorial report there are scratches on the OUTSIDE of the mirror, and no stone chip. In my pictorial record the vehicle inspector is sitting inside the vehicle, and the mirror is completely unharmed. This is the "damaged" side of the vehicle and the mirror that had to be replaced. The moral of the story is don't accept a damaged vehicle from anyone, and don't think that photographs will help you. They've been no help to me.

The last 4 times I have rented with this company I have just had terrible experiences. Every time, they offer me a coupon and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt but I am always disappointed. There are so many issues I don't know where to start. Their customer service is awful. No one communicates or follows through with their "help." They have most recently committed fraud against my checking account after I cancelled my rental and they waived the cancellation fee. They then debited my account for a weird amount of money. I get hung up on when being transferred.

They don't go out of their way to help the client understand the contract or policies. They don't have enough people working at their locations and the lines have been up to two hour waits! None of their phone reps speak English. In the USA we speak English. That is the native tongue. Just like in Italy it's Italian. I could really write a whole novel about this company. I would like to actually help them straighten it out but I think they are too far gone down the rabbit hole of terribleness. If I could I would rate it 0 stars.

I have car rented from Austin, TX international airport for one day. After using one day, I have returned next day. My credit card should be charged with $52.37 and they charged $213 because at their end person collecting return car scanned car's bar code three days later. I talked with Avis and they mentioned it will take 3 days to get my money back. There is no apologies, commitment to fix the issue quickly. On top of that I tried at least 5-7 times to get e-receipt, their website didn't work. I called them multiple times and when I mentioned I need e-receipt, 3-4 times call was hung up intensively. I will never get car rented from Avis and also recommend others there are better options for car renting available instead Avis.

12-11-16 p.m.; reservations system not working online or by telephone. Called in four times this afternoon and they cut the connection after 3 to 10 minutes navigating through the menu system or listening to the music. Tried online and end up with infinite circular wait symbols. When I do get an actual person the say try back in 15 or 20 minutes, but this has not worked. I've been patronizing them for over 20 years, but that is sadly (for me) coming to an end!

We were going on vacation down to Florida for a week, beginning the trip with a rental car to take to BWI. Unfortunately when we came to rent the vehicle, we were informed that we are unable to use either of our debit cards due to them requiring a soft credit check (despite us paying the full amount up front). This included both USAA and Navy Federal Visa/Mastercards. Military members especially beware. Their customer service was also terrible, not caring at all for our predicament and simply walking away into a back room. This delay until we were able to get a friend to drive out to meet us with her credit card caused us to have to delay our flight, costing us an extra $300. I have no intentions of ever using this company again and will strongly recommend to all friends and family to do the same.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
  • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
  • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
  • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
  • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
  • Best for Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars