1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Avis

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

1073 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Recently rented car from Avis. Filled the car (needle hard over to full and would not accept more fuel) before return, but upon return was told price higher than agreed for rental and excuse was that the car had gone out with 18 gallons in the tank but returned with 17 gallons and they wanted to charge me some ridiculous amount for one gallon of gas.

I disputed the charge and it was removed without much complaint from the agent making me believe this fuel policy is not infrequently challenged. I told agents there were numerous problems with this new policy. They told me that the car computer communicated with their hand-held device to give them the mileage and the number of gallons in the tank.

Problem 1 - the renter is not informed of computer fuel calculation policy at time of rental. Problem 2 - fuel sensors in cars are notoriously inaccurate. The fuel gauge read full when I returned the car. Problem 3 - the renter is not informed of the number of gallons in the tank when taking the car, and there is no indication anywhere in the car of how many gallons of fuel are in the tank.

Problem 4 - unless customer is paying attention (unlike average business harried traveler or vacationer), this charge is automatically applied to the rental. Problem 5 - price per gallon for auto fill option is egregiously high. Problem 6 - fuel sensor (even if verifiably accurate) only seems to measure to the nearest gallon and is probably rounding up in favor of Avis. The consumer is at the mercy of this capricious and unavoidable policy.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

October 16-18, 2017 - Reserved a full size (Buick Verano or like), paid for the insurance, rented a GPS. When I went to vehicle at the Lehigh Valley Airport terminal- Jose ** in they did not have a full size car. He tried to put me in an Expedition - I told him that "I was not going to drive that large of a vehicle." Jose then said that he had a Kia Rio available. I asked fairly sternly "do you not have a comparable vehicle to the one that I had reserved?" He then said that he had a minivan. I reluctantly accepted that.

I am not happy about it but I am on business and have to have transportation. I walked all the way out to the holding area and in the Avis area there are two Jeep Renegades, one Mazda 6, and a Kia Soul. I was not offered any of these vehicles. I try not to complain any more than the next person, but I don't like dealing with liars either. After this trip; if I ever rent from them again, it will be because I am not able to find a vehicle elsewhere. This was their second chance and they screwed it up again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am very disappointed with Avis Car Rental Policy. I had a car reserved to pick up so that I could attend a very important meeting at a Medical Treatment Center in London ON. Upon arriving with my husband to pick up the Rental Car I was asked for my Driver's License and a Credit Card. I produced my license. As I do not have a credit card my husband produced his. We were told that they would need his license as well because the credit card and license had to match. MY husband does not have a driver's license for medical reasons so we were denied the rental.

I put a call into Avis Head Office and spoke to a Customer Service Rep who told me that it was up to the discretion of the location if they want to accept my husband’s credit or not and that I had an option to buy debit at this location as well. Thank you JOSE I called back to the location and spoke to Ramesh who is the Manager but was told that paying by debit was not possible and he would not budge an inch in regards to accepting my Husbands Credit Card. I will never deal with this company as long as I live. This experiences was so very, very frustrating and I feel that your policies need to change. Have we become a society that is so untrusting that we suspect everyone of fraud? There is a large number of people in this world that do not have a driver's license for one reason or another and my Husbands happen to be because he has Epilepsy so therefore he cannot drive.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Avoid Avis at the Bologna airport, the staff is rude and tries to charge your credit card before they tell you what car you'll be get. They don't explain all the fees and taxes. I reserved a BMW in their website and when I got there they gave me a Toyota Yaris. Such a poor experience.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Avis Cancun Airport - OUTRAGEOUS. Total rip off and awful customer service. I was billed $950 USD for a five day rental of a basic, tiny entry level Jeep Renegade when I was under the impression over the phone I was getting a four door convertible Wrangler. Not to mention I was told I needed insurance that was unnecessary. To put it in perspective, friends of mine who traveled with me rented a similar vehicle through another company and were billed $200 for the same duration and vehicle specs. Avis customer service refuses to acknowledge the blatant rip off and have made it clear they are not willing to do anything to help. BEWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We leased a car on July 18th. The car to be leased was parked on the side street and got a parking violation while we were inside the Avis La Jolla office signing papers. When we were taken to the car by the Avis agent, there was a parking ticket on it which my husband pointed out to him. The agent put it in his pocket and said Avis would take care of it. They did not and when reported to Avis in detail, their pat response was parking violations are on the customer. We were in the process of leasing the car. Customer service was totally useless. I will NEVER use Avis again. To put their ticket on their customer is despicable.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We rented a car from Avis in Denver, CO in September. Despite being a preferred customer and having booked the car weeks in advance, our car was not waiting as promised. Second time this has happened in the past year. Service at the counter was a bit surly. After a few minutes our car arrived. Our trip of a week was uneventful car wise until after we got home. We received a bill from AVIS for tolls that we had acquired on the last day of our rental. No problem there. However, because we used a toll road on one day, we were charged a $3.95/day toll reader convenience free for the entire rental period. I called today to protest and basically got the old "too bad". So, beware if you use Avis or Budget and your car has a toll pass on its windshield, you will be charged for a $3.95/day service fee for everyday you rent the car IF you use a toll road even once. The fee does top out at $19.95/mo.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I rented a SUV in Los Angeles for 2 days. I was grossly overcharged. For the 2 day rental it cost $400, when I disputed it I was told I signed the agreement so there is nothing that can be done about it. That will be my last time renting from AVIS.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

NEVER rent from this company, unless you just don't care and have money to blow. I prepaid $350 for a car, got to the location just for them to tell me the my Bank of America credit/debit card wasn't sufficient for a rental. I use my BOA card as credit all the time, but the agent refused to even try and run the card and tried to rush me aside to help the next customer. The agent couldn't even issue me a refund at the counter, I had to call some 1-800 number and wait forever to speak with somebody. I finally get in touch with a supervisor and he issues me a refund, or so I thought...

3 days later I get my "refund" back into my account and it's $150 short. The supervisor specifically told me that this fee would have been waived but of course, there's no honesty with this company. I call Avis once again to dispute this fee and just kept getting the runaround, transferring me to different agents. At this point I'm ready to go and strangle whoever the ** is in charge of this ridiculous, incompetent company. Basically I got screwed out of $150 for literally NO reason, they make millions and can't even waive a $150 fee for a car I never even got to see. ** Avis.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a vacation from Sept 24 through 28 in Wyoming. Avis was offered as a rental car company. I have never used them but gave them a try. My boyfriend and I picked up our vehicle at Jackson Hole airport. There was only one employee working both Avis and Budget. We had a LONG wait. Once we received our keys, we had to walk to the lot to get our Mazda CX5. There was no one to walk with us while we inspected the SUV. Not only was there damage, it was dirty and reeked of cigarette smoke even though it was a non smoking vehicle. There was still garbage left inside the car. I bought spray hoping to defuse the smell but nothing worked. I will never use again or recommend Avis to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Don't ever prepay! It was all downhill from there. Overcharged, several calls for that. I had to change the pickup time 3 days before the pickup date and was told it would cost me $50 to change it or cancel it. All untrue. Called back, told I would receive refund, NOT! They issued half the refund finally, and told me I signed the contract indicating I wanted to pay them to refill the gas tank. I did not! I filled the tank ($35.00) before turning it in. I made 5 calls today and got the worst customer service I can imagine. Ending up chewing the agent out. I couldn't take it anymore. Disputing with credit card company. They did not want to refund a penny to me. I never talked to one competent person. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY! HORRIBLE! "Ain't" what they used to be. It's a shame.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

09/08/17 I flew to Pittsburgh, and because of hurricane Irma I knew flight back would be canceled. I booked a car at Avis and lady agent said if I would take a higher priced SUV back to Orlando cause they needed them, that I would get a discounted rate. She said $59.00 total with taxes for 2 days. When I came in 09/10/17 I said I wanted vehicle for 24 hours with $16.50 insurance. The price should have been $29.50 plus $16.50 = $46.00. When I signed bill I noticed she charged me $86.41. I asked where was the discount and she said I would have to talk to Avis in Orlando cause she could not change the price.

I made a stupid mistake and trusted that Avis would stand behind original price. Was ready to deliver car next day and Avis said would have to bring it in on 09/12/17. Cost me a motel bill and then I see that they took out $186.00 out of my bank. Customer service rudely said I signed the contract and it is my fault. Did not think Avis had such a reputation. Do not trust the agents or Avis for allowing this practice of deception. They added $32.50 for loss damage waiver. Why would I do that when I bought their insurance?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

We rented a car from Avis in Bali. The appearance of the car was atypical for a rental car (logos on side, very high mileage, dirt, dents, and holes), however, that is NOT the reason for our complaint. An Avis Customer Service Rep responded to our email and stated that we could not receive a refund or any kind compensation for the rental because we had use of the car in spite of its appearance. If appearance was the only issue, we would not be wasting our time complaining. The reason for our complaint was 100% because we were provided with an unsafe vehicle that could have resulted in injury or death. This is UNACCEPTABLE. We were driving down a mountainous road when the brakes completely gave out and we were close to crashing. We downshifted and used the E brake to prevent this from happening.

Secondly, it is also unacceptable that Avis gave us a vehicle on empty and sent us into a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam in a new country with no signs of a gas station nearby. We did not know whether we would make it to a station before running out or not. Both of these situations were DANGEROUS and that is why we feel justified in complaining. The poor appearance of the vehicle only highlights the fact that this vehicle was not maintained aesthetically or mechanically.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

The worse rental company ever. I rented my car in Poland on Wroclaw airport, they overcharged me, the GPS was not working, and they left me waiting 3 days for second car because the one that they give to me was dangerous to drive. They refused my money back for those days, customer service very rude. Save your time and health...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I sent plenty of emails to customer care in Europe service. clients@avis-location.fr but they did not response at all. I received auto email informing that I will get answer maximum 15 day and until now more than 20 days.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I rented a car from Avis on August 6th, 2017, at Fiumicino Airport, the wait to get the car was about 2 hours. Customer service was not good... they tried to sell me more insurance than I needed, I bought extra insurance from home. They gave me a car with lots of scratches and damages, squeaky breaks and dirty interior, the car was never checked by an agent before we took it out of the lot, when I saw the damages an hour later I took pictures. Luckily I took pictures of all the damages because when I returned it, they did look at car and I was questioned, and I showed him the pictures and he was very helpful.

I went to the office, gave the paperwork to the agent in the office and she told me she would email me with a discount amount, but that was on September 5th and to this day I didn't receive anything. I feel that AVIS should improve their customer service in Rome Fiumicino Airport. The waiting time for customers should be less. I rented the car for a month and it wasn't cheap. So I hope that Avis will consider improving their rental systems in Rome.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I returned a rented car at Avis JFK International Airport. I dropped the car keys in the Dropbox provided by the rental, which gives no proof that the keys were placed there. Then I proceeded to turn in the contract to the officer and received invoice for the agreed amount in the contract. 2 days after returning the car I was charged $275 to my credit card. I contacted customer service and they are limited to answer that the charge continues as long as the rental location reports otherwise. They say it's not their responsibility that I left the keys because the local rental says they are missing. They provide a number of the JFK rental. After several tries calling with no answer, I am left with no other alternative for a responsibility from the car rental which provides no proof other than my words. I only want Avis to credit me, and the terrible service provided by this company leaves me exposed at their expense.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

First, this reservation was made by phone. We rented a car for Nevada and prepaid the full estimated amount for pick up at Reno airport and return in South Lake Tahoe. We refused all of their insurances including the LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) since our insurance already covered us. While there we changed plans and wanted to return the car back to the Reno airport one day later. Went to the Tahoe office to do so and was told we would get a hefty refund since it changed us to a weekly rental instead of a 5 day rental and was no longer a one-way rental.

Unfortunately we did not keep up with copies of all of the paperwork. For all we know even though we verbally refused the LDW (and it was not listed in the confirmation email) it may have been checked in by one of the counter people at either the airport or the Reno office. I have read online that this is a common practice and you have to carefully review before signing. After we got home Avis charged our card for an additional hundred and fifty. When we called we were told that the insurance took up most of the credit. Since we could not PROVE in WRITING that we had refused the insurance we were told we were out of luck. We were told that they would refund the one-way fee. There were also some fees that should have been included in the estimate on the front end, such as the state surcharges and some concession fees for the airport.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I had booked this online through Hotwire. I had come into the location to see if I could pre pay and to let them know that I would be past my 5 pm pick up time as I would not be off work till 5. I got there at about 5:15/5:20. When I arrived no one was there. I tried calling the number on their "sorry we missed you sign" and it directed me to the booking line. I sat and waited until one of the Hotel staff told me that the Avis staff had left for the day. Then another staff member gave me a business card with the cell phone for the owner/manager on it. I called him and he told me I was not booked to pick up a car. After going back and forth with my name and him telling me I was not booked I let him know that in fact I had been in earlier and had confirmed with the staff member that was there earlier and that she had even shown me my car.

At that point he admitted that maybe he saw me on the list but I would have to wait till he was found what he was doing till he came back. When he got back to the location he was not apologetic at all but actually acted like I was an inconvenience. He refused to walk around the vehicle with me claiming that the car only had 500km and it was brand new and so on. He then refused to change my check in time claiming that if I returned the vehicle past 4:30 he would be charging me an extra 27$/ hour. When I said that my pick up time was past that he said that was too bad it was my agreement with Hotwire and he could not change it. At the time of my return of my rental again there was no staff there. There was a woman in the lobby that had been waiting quite some time for staff to return and was having a similar experience to me.

At this point I called the customer service line and spoke with them. They assured me that my check in time was fine and that I would receive no extra charge and to drop my keys in the drop box. I went in to make sure everything had been checked in. When I asked about the charges I was told there would be extra charges because he had not checked my car in until 8 am and when he went to check what those were I saw a look of shock on his face when he realized I had been checked in at 6pm the night before and that there would be no extra charges. When I walked in that morning he was sitting in a hotel chair on his laptop and again I was an inconvenience interrupting his time. I would never recommend anyone rent from this location as they are horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've been booking with this company for over 7 years and I've never had an issue until my two recent bookings. Avis charged me for something I didn't even do and didn't even apologize for taking money from me that I didn't even have. I rented my car in Jamaica and I got the car with three hubcaps and they decided to charge me $92 for the missing one when that's how the car was given to me. The staff both in America and Jamaica was very rude and I swear to God on my mom's grave Avis will never get my services ever again. They disgust me and I will filing a claim about this incident to my bank and to their headquarters. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM, THEY ARE WORST WHEN IT COMES TO ASSISTING THE TRUTH!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have recently experienced significantly declining quality in my experiences with Avis. Sometimes when I rent with Avis my bill is significantly above what it is supposed to be due to extra day charges, improper rates relative to the prepaid agreement, or fees that were not necessarily disclosed up front. Earlier this summer I had a prepaid rental for ~$130 and when the bill came back later they had charged me over $500. They later reversed the charges and are typically alright about reversing these charges with limited pushback if I can find my original documentation, but 1) I shouldn't have to spend my time waiting for and scrutinizing the final bill and 2) sometimes they give me a hard time about adjusting the bill. This last week was the final straw. There was a terrible accident on the highway and I was stuck in traffic for several hours longer the drive was supposed to take.

I even called them in advance to let them know that the highway was a parking lot and I would be late. As a result I was 2 hours over the time I was supposed to have the car back. Avis charged a full 24 hours extra, which in turn results in an additional $40 of tax (NYC is around 20% for rental cars). When I called they refused to budge on the charge, insisting that it is a "valid charge." After stating my concerns they told me they would reduce the extra charge to around $110 (before tax). I said this level was still egregious and asked to a manager. The representative told me that if I asked to speak to a manager this offer would be "off the table." This is extremely offensive.

Given the amount of business I have given this company, a long history with them between myself and my fiancé (she travels frequently for business and often rents through Avis), I was surprised and disappointed at how determined they are to exploit one of their customer's misfortune. I am extremely disappointed with Avis and I will likely never use them again. I don't even want to use my accumulated points. They are absolutely terrible and have no concept of the lifetime value of a customer or the benefit of empowering employees and managers to effect change. This is a leadership issue and reflects very poorly on Avis senior management.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I reserved and prepaid for an economy car and the car was switched to a half electric car called a volt? I had no idea it was an upgrade. No one ever said the word upgrade, the car looked like the usual economy size I get and not till I looked at my card statement did I realize I was overcharged. That's when I called the customer service rep who also had no idea what a volt was then put me on hold and came back a very rude expert in what the car was. It was my word against Avis and all the way up they would not give an inch. I will never use Avis again or any of their brands, budget being one. Customer service from the very top all the way to the sales counter should be retrained in customer service.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I had a good experience... First car rental experience. I went to the Avis in OKC on Shields yesterday to get a rental for a trip and the person who did all the paperwork was very friendly and helpful. The car was kinda off even though it had very little mileage. When driving at points it sounded like something was rubbing the tires at certain speeds on the way to my destination and also it pulled to the right for a second. Also when the car first started driving this morning they were grinding but not for long and on the way home it didn't make the rubbing noise but maybe twice. Also I didn't like that he didn't let me know what damages had already been done to the vehicle which was only a few scratches that were rather small and a couple of windshield things as well as tiny rips in seat headrest. As long as they don't end up trying something there. Which it doesn't seem like they would but we will see. Will update on such.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

When reserving a car online, Avis offers a discount if you pay upfront. Sounds good, right? Hardly. What they DON'T tell you is that the actual reason they give you that option is because they then hold your money hostage in the event of a cancellation. If you need to cancel the reservation for ANY reason, they confiscate $50!!! This is outright fraud. If I were to do the same thing to one of my customers, I would be summarily fired in the spot and my company (and the customer) would rightfully press charges against me.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I rented a car online with Avis months in advance of my trip to South Africa. It was paid for and showed a balance owing of zero. I made a change to the reservation, increased the days from 30 to 33 a few weeks later. I expected an increase, but since at the same time, I reduced the mileage from unlimited to 6400 km and it looked like I got a lower rate for an over 31 day rental, so when I saw the balance owing still at zero, I thought the reductions evened things out and thought how great this was. When I landed at the airport and went to pick up my car, I was advised that more money was owing.

They ended up charging me 1/3 the amount that I had already pre-paid, saying that they could not figure out exact fees in advance. It seems it is better to hide it with a zero on the form you are able to print out as confirmation of the reservation. The rental went from a 'good' deal to a very bad deal and I will never do business with Avis or Budget again. Talking to customer service was like talking to a wall.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I rented in Florence Italy. The wifi unit I paid for had no charge on its battery. None of them did. I wasted 1/2 hour of my rental day charging the unit so it could be used. The actual cost of the car was more than double what they quoted. Multiple hidden charges within the contract. I had a toll booth infraction that I paid for fully at the toll booth. Avis contacted me 4 months later for the cost of simply notifying me that the charge had been levied and that they charged an administrative fee of $55.00 simply for notifying me of such. Is Avis operated by the Sicilian Mafia? Don't even THINK about using them for a car rental... EVER!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We pre-paid a premium SUV from Avis, one month ahead of our pickup date. Right before our pickup date the price of the rental dropped $411.31, at which point I called Avis and was told we would receive a refund for that amount. After returning the vehicle we inquired about the refund, the Avis Agent assured us that our refund would be in the mail within 48 hours. A week passed and we called Avis customer service representative, who was quite rude and basically informed us that it was our word against theirs and they would not be refunding us any difference. Our experience with Avis Customer Service representative was obviously one of the worst we had encountered and will not recommend nor use their rental car business again.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Had a reservation at Avis LAX through Costco. Desk staff told me to go to parking spot P12 to get my mid size car and was big truck in that spot, so then sent me to spot E28 where there was no car. Supervisor in parking lot gave me other car but when went to take car said could not give me that car. Went back to office, sent me again to another parking spot but once again no car in spot.

Now back to office for 5th time. Lady in charge said I would need to wait for manager who never came and told me "she would do me a favor to help me". I then called their 800 phone number explaining had reservation books thru Costco and they said no cars available I would need to go to Burbank Airport to get a car. I left with no car. This was the worst customer experience I have ever had and only thing worse was the horrible attitude of employees with no one caring. Other people at desk complaining about same issues. Would give them the maximum number of minus stars.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I flew in from Atlanta to Detroit Metropolitan Airport, which is a 2 hour flight. I get to Avis and there is, 30-35 people in line, with only 2 people working. Avis has to know the number of reservations they have. They need to staff accordingly. My wait was an hour and a half. Unacceptable!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We rented with family, one vehicle was disgusting dirty, had beef jerky coming out of the vents, food spilled inside that was not cleaned and smelled like smoke. It took an hour to get the vehicle as a customer had "accidentally driven off with it". The other vehicle (a Corvette), we returned with a full tank of gas and arrived within our 1 hour window, but were charged full price for an extra day as well as GAS in the tune of $70.00! Customer service offered to refund the gas charge. Our rental was due at 8:18 pm (on rental agreement), we returned it within the 1 hour period at 8:59 (stamped on our receipt) as we were stuck in traffic on busy International drive. We were still charged an extra $130+... So a one day rental ended up costing us over $400!! Customer service refused to offer any solution. We will not rent from Avis again.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
    • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
    • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
    • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
    • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
    • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
    • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
    • Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.
    Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information