2.6/5 (511 ratings)

About Avis

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The managers are great and always take care of customers. The airport car rental experience is great. When you don’t find a car they help you. I always use Avis. You can see a difference in service from other car rental places.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I had trouble checking in, long lines and few customer service representatives. However, Antonio from the Boston Logan International Airport went above and beyond the call of duty to help me check out. I will continue using Avis just because of him. I am also recommending Avis to friends and family because of Antonio. I am happy to have made your acquaintance Antonio, from Brazil! Thank you for your great customer service. I work for Sound Physicians and travel weekly, so I use Avis often. Thank You. ~ Nanette ~

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I got a mini-lease rental from Avis (4 months). During these 4 months, I needed assistance with a few things such as: adding tolls, adding drivers, extending the rental and returning the rental earlier than the end date of the mini-lease. Their customer service answers call in an acceptable time. They helped me with my requests and explained everything in details. I never got the feeling that they want to make money out of the unexpected life events. For example I didn't pay anything extra neither for extending nor for returning the car earlier. Overall, I loved my experience with AVIS rental.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Read a few bad reviews and made me a little nervous renting from Avis. I had a great experience at the Denver airport rental location. Shuttle busses were back to back and and plenty of employees working the desk once we arrived, so there was no line. Super quick process and easy to get our vehicle. Would definitely rent from Avis again.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Avis Rental in Temecula helped me rent a vehicle for AZ when I needed one for just one day and to rent from AZ and return to Temecula when the online websites all said they wouldn't rent for a "one way". Temecula Avis got me a great rate. It was an emergency and she helped me with no questions asked. I definitely would recommend Avis Temecula. When I arrived in AZ Avis there was very understandable. Even the people in line let us get in front of them due to our emergency. Definitely recommend AZ/Phoenix Avis.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I live overseas, and recently returned to US for long-delayed family visit. Rented from Avis (Hilton Head, SC location)...and regretted it. Abysmally and inexplicably rude/hostile service at pick-up (and sole employee arrived late for work, making customer wait for nearly half hour despite arriving on time for pick up). Pick up Avis agent made several overcharge errors, and refused pre-arranged AARP discount. Avis central "customer service" reps similarly of little help with fixing these problems despite repeated calls--central Avis 'support' seems massively disorganized and dysfunctional. Avis phone reps kept referring customer back to (hostile) pick-up location...who of course never answered their direct line (repeated tries during working hours).

I gave up with Avis and returned their car early, choosing to rent from better agency (National)--much better experience. Later, after a truly remarkable amount of wasted customer time (repeated calls, emails), and many days after car return, did Avis finally sullenly agree to refund their erroneous overcharges...though actual refunds, of course, 'will take some time'--we'll see if Avis actually manages to correct the overcharges. My suggestion: skip Avis--huge waste of time and money. Go with a better company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

There is no control on their branches. They can easily fraud or cause any problem but there is nowhere In Avis budget you can report them. I called 100 times. They say, "Sorry it’s not related to us." What the hell!!! Your branch is acting against your laws, is asking me for money while I don’t have any contact with them and you say just sorry.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I rented a car for 6 days in early to mid December for my wife & kids to go Florida to go and see family before Christmas. I picked a car on the website and it was at a very reasonable price. I went to pick it up and it was different from what I was promised but I wasn’t really worried about that because it was still a nice vehicle. I returned the car no issue and over a month later I was issued a $250 penalty fee with no warning & that is where the issue comes in at. My family went to the beach while in Florida and there was literally just a little bit of sand on the floorboard mats with my kids getting in & out of the car..

I called up there and asked why I was charged & the man on the phone told me when I brought the car back it was supposed to be washed & detailed… I have never in my whole entire life heard of such a thing. It was literally just a little bit of sand and all they had to do is remove the mat and knock the sand off & they charge me $250… Needless to say I will never rent from them ever again & take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Car was dirty and was not sanitized. Would not rent again from Avis. 3rd time renting. Very nasty car. Car tires were at 28PSI. Had to fill up to 32PSI to specs. Will not rap again from there. Thank you but no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I rented a car, next day I noticed the passenger side door had a dent, I called Avis and reported it. I was given another car which I checked and had some scratches. I also called to report it. After my rental was over I got a bill from Avis for damages for the first car not just for the door dent but for scratches on the hood of this car. $890 all together because they charge you $100 for administration fee for something I didn’t do. I don’t recommend Avis, because I didn’t receive the car I was promised but a different and damaged car. The whole thing was fishy from the beginning.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information