Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I rent cars while travelling for business and I keep all expense receipts. This is the second time I have been charged for fuel even though I returned the car with full tank (once in Germany, recently in Paris CDG). Both times I sent a complaint to Avis and they refunded my credit card. BUT, it seems that this can be a commonplace activity and they systematically overcharge the customers. That means that their employees are running scams stealing the money "pretending" to fuel the cars. Besides employee fraud, Avis runs their own. Their refuelling charges and what they charge per liter of petrol are exorbitant. BEWARE!

I have always rented cars, but never from Avis. I thought I would give it a try since they had very good deals online. I didn't read the reviews, which I should have. I drove from Canada to the States. On the way I had to switch cars twice, due to car problems. Every time I had to call an Avis rep they had no idea about anything. Finally I dropped off the car after my vacation. I wasted several precious days from my vacation sitting at different Avis locations exchanging cars. I was promised a refund due to all my problems, that was a month ago. Still no sign of the refund, Avis is just making up stories about future dates for the refund. Also I read in another review that after exchanging cars, the paperwork doesn't show it happened. Same story. After dropping off the car, there is no trail of anything that has happened. DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS!

I rented a car from Avis using their website. This was for a car that I would pick up at an airport in Turkey and return to different airport in Turkey. Insurance was optional and I did not chose to purchase insurance because my visa card has insurance for the car rental. After arriving at the airport in Turkey the person behind the counter would not allow me to pick up the car without purchasing insurance. I explained that I did not want this and that my credit card policy covers the rental car. This was not an issue of language barrier because I speak the local language. They insisted that I purchase the insurance or they would not allow me to get the car. Having already paid for the car online I felt I had no choice but the purchase the insurance or else lose the money I had already paid. After returning to the USA I complained to Avis about this and asked for a refund of the insurance.

After I made many phone calls and waited 2 weeks they sent a very short email with only a few sentences and said that they find the charges to be correct without any farther explanation. I explained that this lack of explaining why they feel I was treated appropriately and should have been forced to purchase insurance is not acceptable. They asked that I wait while they review the issue again. 3 days later I received another very short email with the same explanation. I feel that I was treated unjustly and was forced to purchase something that I did not need. I also feel that Avis does not care to take time to fix this or explain to me why they feel that I should have been forced to purchase insurance for this rental. Extortion is the word that comes to mind. I was in a very difficult situation at an airport in a foreign country, picking up a car that I had already paid for and this situation was taken advantage of for profit. I will never use this company again.

I am writing this to warn anyone considering a car rental through Avis Budget at the airport in Rome Italy to not do it. I recently rented from them and after receiving a quote for approximately $500, was charged over $1300. Unfortunately, it was due to my own lack of attention to detail and being awake for over 24 hours, but that is not an excuse for their lack of honoring the quotation I received prior to my trip. The agent at the desk added many unwanted extras to the agreement and being in a hurry to get to my final destination, I did not pay attention to what I was signing.

Upon returning the vehicle, the person at the desk was not very helpful with my issue and could not get a supervisor to help me. I contacted the US customer service group to seek help in getting some resolution to this overcharge, but except for a $69 credit, there was nothing that could be done. My advice to anyone considering using these people is find another rental agency or if you have the misfortune to use them, read the agreement carefully.

Avis/Budget has merge into 1 company. I been renting from Budget for 15 month now, as a fastbreak & aarp member. I had made a few legitimate complaints against the rental agent & manager at the bwi airport. After I was deny service at Budget, I started going to Avis to rent. I rented at Avis for 2 straight weekend, & I became a preferred member. Getting ready to rent for the 3rd time at Avis at bwi, the manager told me that I was on the do not rent list.

I sent a e-mail & called the customer service office about this injustice they done to me. I strongly believe that Budget Rent a Car had retaliated against me, because I was consistent, of following up on my complaints against the 2 employees & (manager) that had denied me service, when they violated my consumer rights. Consumers have a right to make complaints, comments, & suggestions to the company. Unfortunately, I was single out because I exercise my rights as a consumer, when I was mistreated & dissatisfied with the Budget rental agent & manager. To all consumer, if you not getting the satisfaction that you entitled to, stand up for your rights.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

I will never rent from Avis/Budget ever again. After reading the other complaints, as well as the experience I had...I refuse to do business with them and I will inform everyone I know and every customer service blog that I can freely post on, regarding their unsatisfactory service. I was overcharged, with unauthorized charges for my rental at Orlando International Airport in November 2016. Clearly I have a copy of the contract, showing I refused other add on options, but was still yet charged. I also offered to email my billing statement to the manager who was currently assisting me, but she refused to receive my proof of THEIR unauthorized charges. She then proceeded, her name is Robin, to tell me that there is no one higher than her that I can speak with regarding these unauthorized charges. I was very upset and dissatisfied with Avis. Please, if you're reading these comments, take heed...do not rent from them.

Rented a car from Avis. It did not work. Had to call for road help twice. Exchanged cars for one that worked. Now out of the blue I am being charged $662.58. Two months later. Their paperwork does not even show I had to switch to a different car. No damage was done in my car. The car that I exchanged could not get miles because it died in their parking lot also. Now they want me to find where I exchanged after losing two days to my trip due to their car. This company is scamming me! Plus I took out insurance on their car. Help!!!

The manager in Avis refused to speak with me. The call handler disconnected the call. All I was offered was vouchers. Although I have had to select ‘quality of service’ I have in fact a number of complaints under the following multiple headings. Quality of Service, Wrong car grade provided, Poor quality of car. I shall now give full details under these headings.

Quality of Service: Long waiting time on arrival. On arrival at Tivat Airport, although only 3rd in the queue I had to wait more than 30 minutes to be served at the Avis counter. The reason for this apparently was that everyone was advised that they had been sold inappropriate insurance online. I also was so advised and had to buy appropriate insurance. I then had to ring RentalCars from Monte Negro to cancel my initial insurance. I spoke to a very helpful Dutch sounding call handler who canceled my original insurance.

I was not advised that in Montenegro headlights are required to be on even during daylight. I was not given a car with this as an automatic feature nor was I given the car with the headlights on with the advice that I should not touch this control. As a consequence I was stopped by the police 2 days later and was given a penalty of 34 euros. The policeman confiscated my driver’s license and told me to go to a bank in Herceg Novi, approximately 17 km distance to pay the penalty. He told me that he would be in the same place for about 3 hours afterwards. I went to Herceg Novi but could find no bank open. The whole undertaking took about 4 hours of my holiday. I was therefore unable to see him the same day.

He had however written down his telephone number with the advice for me to phone him when this penalty was paid. I paid the penalty of 34 euros plus 50 cents fee at the post office in Perast where I was staying the following day. At my request the post mistress kindly rang the policeman who advised her that I now had to go to Herceg Novi post office to get my drivers license. This was despite the fact that he had indicated to me that he would return it to me in person once the penalty was paid.

I therefore had to travel again to Herceg Novi. I eventually found the post office but my driver's license was not there. The clerk, who kindly rang the policeman again was informed by him that the license was in fact at the police station. I then had to walk across town to the police station and to then find the appropriate room. I was then given my driver's license back. This again took about 4–5 hours of my holiday. There was an extra requirement of fuel associated with these journeys of approximately 70 km. (17.5 km x 2, twice) In these circumstances I consider that Avis failed in their Duty of Care to me in that they did not advise me of something that I could not have anticipated and in the alternative did not provide me with a vehicle which would have avoided this problem. I therefore consider Avis fully liable for the subsequent problems and further complications arising.

Wrong car provided: I had deliberately requested a small car, a Chevrolet Spark. I knew that the roads in Montenegro were narrow and difficult. However when I checked in I was told that no cars were available in this size or class and I was given a much larger car, a Renault Fluence which is much more cumbersome and as I was quite correct in my assessment of Montenegron roads much more difficult and hazardous to drive. It also was more expensive in fuel consumption. As a consequence we did not dare to try the mountainous roads which although recommended for their beauty are also described as difficult with a need to reverse on winding mountainous roads if another car is encountered with insufficient room to pass each other.

When I rang RentalCars from Montenegro I also advised the helpful Dutch call handler of this problem too. She said that she would try to contract Avis in Tivat to see if they could exchange the car for a smaller one. She tried to phone them when I was on the phone. However she advised me that they were not answering the phone. I asked, and she agreed that if she were successful in contacting them afterwards she would email me on **. I did not get any further information or have any contact with her afterwards. Poor Quality of car: The car had multiple scratches and paint damage. There were cigarette stubs left in the ashtray from the previous user which I cleared out because of the smell. In the context of these multiple complaints I request that you fully compensate me for all of the issues identified in this complaint.

Avis is a scam of a company. I rented a car for one day, and returned it to a location with afterhours drop-off. I returned the vehicle—undamaged--and deposited the key in the key deposit box. I received a call the next day saying the vehicle hadn't been returned--so I drove by the drop-off place and saw the same car in the lot. I called them and according to them, the vehicle was in their records and they assured me everything was fine and they had a record of the car being in the lot. A few months later, I got a charge of almost $6k from Avis, and when I called them, apparently the car had been found abandoned in another city. They never even notified me before making this charge, although the vehicle was stolen off of their property. Honestly, I suspect that it was an inside job and probably an Avis employee stole the car knowing they could get away with it and charge an innocent customer.

I have filed a dispute with my bank and filed a police report, and dealing with Avis has been absolute hell. I finally got them to admit that because I had rental insurance, I was not at fault for the incident, but they have still not removed the charges. They cannot seem to keep track of the incident details, and are an absolute mess to deal with. I know that they knew the car was returned, and I even told them I saw it in the lot, and had verification that they also had the car in their system!!

They have all of the evidence--the key should have been logged in the system. They have security footage, and presumably the record of the phone call, but they just don't even care and/or are so disorganized that they cannot keep track of their own vehicles and just feel free to charge their customers thousands of dollars for doing nothing wrong. It has been ridiculous to deal with this company--whether they intentionally did this to steal from a customer. I don't know, but they have completely taken advantage of the situation and have done nothing to help rectify it. Never, ever again would I use this company!! They are absolute criminals.

A few years ago my wife and I had a delightful vacation in Germany, until we returned our Avis rental car (Renault diesel) at Frankfurt am Main International Airport. For a scratch on one of the wheel covers and scuffs on the tire we had to pay about $800. Then we were accused of losing the radio antenna which Avis later found in the rear of the car. Complaining that the scratch and scuffs were probably there at the time we rented the car did not succeed in eliminating or reducing the payment. Complaining to Capital One Credit Card Company with which we rented the car did no good at all. Stay away from Avis in Germany, they have a racket going on at Frankfurt Airport. Stay away from Capital One - they have deaf ears to complaints.

If you enjoy a huge ripoff then you must go to Avis in the Panama City airport. I reserved a car a month ahead of my trip and the price was roughly $180. When I arrived to pick up the car I told them I had insurance with my credit card. They said “Fine. You must bond the car with your credit card. $10,000.” The car never even cost this much to purchase. I said ok to use my credit card. Unfortunately Citibank puts a hold on everything until you call them. So I said “Ok I will take your insurance on the car.” The total cost for the car suddenly became $454. When I returned the car after a week I was 3 hours late. $88 for 3 hours overtime. I have been using Avis and/or Budget for over 50 years and it will never happen again and of course I will inform every last person I know what a wonderful company they are.

I rental a VW Jetta for 5 days online. I was given quote for 34 dollars a day. I picked up car in Pittsburgh and did not opt for insurance or any other options. The next month I noticed another 211 charge to my American Express. I called AMEX and Avis. Avis states I opted for the extra insurance. I have never done that my whole life. I would never do that. Who pays almost 100 a day for a Jetta after taxes and fees? I will never use Avis again. AMEX should not do business with this fraudulent company.

Company accidentally charged me a refuel fee without even telling me about it. I found out when I checked my credit card. In addition, they won't apologize for their mistake, and they won't refund me back because I paid cash at the gas station. They don't give their customers the benefit of the doubt.

I have rented a car from Avis Amman for three days and the Customer Service there asked me to deposit cash money as guarantee more than the rent value of three days in addition to the rental charge itself, moreover, they get my credit card, and finally they submit to me a very dirty car form outside and inside. I took it because I was in hurry to go to the hospital in Amman.

When I finished the rental period, and came to the airport to deliver the car, the officer there started to do his checks on the car and he claim that a new scratches are there, and he didn't believe that it is not done by me, and he delay me for my flight until he review his checklist for the previous customer, and he find that those scratches already there, and he was very rude. My advice for everybody -- do not accept to rent a dirty car and full of dust which make the scratches hidden.

I did a prepaid discounted car rental with Avis for two of my employees that I sent to Chicago. Aside from the discount I did this to avoid confusion at the Avis desk. Upon their return I reviewed the receipt and found that the agent upgraded the vehicle and charged for it. They also added a fuel surcharge and at the same time instructed them that the car needed to be returned full. That turns out to be double dipping. Any attempts to deal with customer service there and resolve things became very frustrating as they basically said too bad!! I am contesting the added charges right now but I would avoid ever using Avis again. At one time it was a great company which somehow has now turned corrupt.

We rented a car from Avis in September. My husband is not use to a key fob or keyless start, so when we dropped off the car he forgot to give the gal checking us in the key. The gal checking us in did NOT ask for the key for the vehicle, which in my opinion she wanted us to not turn it in. So we get on the plane and my husband remembers that he has the fob. Immediately when we got home I tried to call Avis, I called multiple times but I could not get anyone on the phone. I then decided to e-mail the company to tell them that we would be mailing them back. In the meantime, after no response from e-mail, I UPS'd the keys to AVIS. Then several days later they e-mail me back saying that it was too late and they already charged my credit card an extra $283.12 for the keys.

I then called my credit card company to dispute this. Then finally a couple months later they say that they had to make the key so there was nothing they would do for us. I think that is crap, because every vehicle has 2 sets of keys. I tried to tell this company that we were sending the keys back but no one answered the phone. I believe we were scammed, especially since the gal checking us in didn't even ask for the key fob, isn't that her responsibility to get them back. How did they move the vehicle then if they had no key? I'm so pissed that they were so unwilling to work with us on this. The pamphlet says they MAY charge you if you don't return the keys. WE RETURNED the keys so we should get our money back. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. They want you to not turn your keys in to make more money.

Watch out for Avis Pearson Airport as if you leave a big item in the car, the employees keep it and Avis Corporate doesn't care. I left a big bag of chocolates and reported it immediately but was told by Avis lost and found that it's an exceptional thing that employees ever turn things in to the lost and found. Corporate wouldn't give me the name or the phone number of the manager on site. Left message everywhere by Avis Pearson doesn't call people back. What's fascinating is that the people flipping the cars leave trash in there but big items disappear. Not impressed and wouldn't recommend them if you go to Toronto.

I rented an Avis Car through the Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty program (Link to the Avis Website with coupon code to receive Starpoints for rental). I never received the Starpoints for the rental. I have called customer service twice and emailed multiple times to resolve the issue and Avis refused to award Starpoints.

Note: To qualify to receive the points I had to rent a compact car instead of an economy car. Poor customer service, lack of integrity by Avis to honor loyalty program points.

I rented a car in France in August from Avis. In September I got a letter from Avis saying that during my rental I got fined and they had passed my details to the issuing organization, who would notify me the fine. For passing those details they were billing me 175 € (!!!) for administrative fees. When I received the letter the money had already been taken from my account but after over a month I have not been notified by the French authorities about any fine. Avis has taken my money and I still do not know whether I have actually been fined. Having had past experience of Avis billing a friend for not refuelling while refuelling had duly occurred, now I think they billed me for a ticket that I never earned. 175 € should at least cover the cost of producing evidence of the existence of this fine. Nobody should be allowed to take my money without evidence of their claim to it.

When I hired a car at Lisbon airport using a prepaid voucher over the summer, I was given an Alfa Romeo and it car broke down after a week, with mechanical failure. They came to pick up faulty car and I had to travel all the way back to Lisbon from Obidos to pick up a replacement. I carried on my holiday and a week later returned my second car, full of diesel and it passed inspection. Imagine my shock when 6 weeks later I get a letter from Avis with a €1600 bill to be charged to my credit card for Accident repairs, Surcharges and extra mileage. This is nothing short of fraudulent behaviour and is a disgrace. I will not be paying and will seek legal advice. I will never be using Avis again. Anyone else had a similar experience with Avis?

This place is a joke. I reserved a vehicle on the 8th prepaid for the rental. Was supposed to pick up the vehicle on the 16th at 10 am. Got to the location only to find out they were closed for good. Contacted Avis customer service and told that location had closed on the 11th. Was given a huge run around and by 2 pm I had no choice but to cancel. I was told I would receive full refund only to receive an email stating I will be charged $150.

Reserved car for pick up. We had prepaid and called that morning to confirm our reservation. Upon our arrival car was not ready but we could go pick it up at an alternative location if we were interested. This was after they made us come back in an hour. They guaranteed the car would be at the alternative location when we got there. Why the car had to go to an alternative location first - I have no idea. This was in San Antonia so not a small city. Drove to the new location and as expected the car was not there but we were assured vehicle would be in in 15 minutes.

After a half an hour, the rep indicated the vehicle had not even left the prior drop off location AND the drop off location was totally different (and much further away) then both reps at both locations had indicated. Not reflected in the above is that the agents at both location continually misrepresented the circumstance and we caught them up in their misrepresentations. We had an 8 hour drive that day and did not arrive at our final destination till very late. We ended up cancelling our reservation and going to another party to rent a car. The agents were totally indifferent and rude. I will NEVER use Avis in the US again.

50 miles into our extensive drive to San Jacinto, Ecuador from Guayaquil airport our car experienced major power issues. Due to this fact, our car completely broke down when we had arrived. It would not 'turn on' nor show any signs of 'turning over' when the key was in the ignition and in the On position. We then had to walk approximately 2 miles to our hotel on a less traveled dirt road with no chance of hailing a taxi or asking for assistance. We are seniors and both have serious back issues that prevented us from walking normally and caused us severe distress and much hardship during our vacation. We lost a full day while on our short overseas 4 day vacation. Not only did we miss a pertinent meeting, we 'lost' a golden opportunity to purchase our new home in Manta, Ecuador.

To anyone wishing to hire a car while abroad I would strongly advise you not to hire from Avis Car Hire. I came home to an unexpected bill of £180.00 which they took straight from my bank account without my knowledge. To add insult after I complained I noticed several other complaints all of the same nature. When asking the company to address the complaint all I got was more hassle and more attitude from customer services. I hired the car for my disabled foster son to get about on holiday and have been left out of pocket for insurance I never claimed on. Disgusted and disheartening to say the least. Stay clear of Avis when hiring your car.

I rented a diesel car at Avis London Heathrow. The documents clearly stated that the car was a diesel and it was verbally reconfirmed when I left the lot. Upon returning the car, I stopped at a gas station and asked them to fill the tank with diesel which they did. One month later, I saw on my credit card statement that I had been billed more than twice the agreed amount by Avis. When calling customer service, I was advised that had damaged the car with the wrong fuel. I sent the agreement, where it is clearly stated that the vehicle is a diesel, and with that the receipt from the petrol station where diesel was also noted. Many months have passed, and every time I call, I am being advised that this is still under review. I find this to be terrible service and do not recommend anyone to use AVIS as a result.

As far as the car is concerned, the car was a quality car that did not let us down. The ride to and from the airport was pleasant and uneventful. But after I had booked, via Priceline, I found out they had chosen Avis. I read the reviews, and read the same complaints over and over... and those complaints all mentioned getting charged after-the-fact for things that never should have been deducted.

In my case, we were charged for "toll roads" that we never took. We purposely avoided them, due to the exorbitant fees they would charge if you used one. One day, we even drove about 25 miles out of our way to avoid the toll road. Yet when I returned home, my credit card was dinged for $26.00 and change for "tolls roads" we never took. They have my 26 bucks, but they won't be my go-to rental place any longer (along with the other places they have acquired). Such a shame that they feel they must scam their customers instead of just leaving a good experience to maintain a loyal following. :(

During the month of May 2016, our insurance company (ABSA) rented an Avis car for us while our car was being repaired. The collection date was 03/05/2016 under the surname: ** and it was provided by the Somerset West branch. When I returned the car the following week, I was told that the spare wheel was flat. I was in a hurry and I said but I never even looked at the spare wheel. I never had a need to change a tyre during the few days that I used the silver Polo Vivo. The attendant said I must just write on the form that the spare was never checked which I duly did and we went off. Some time later, a charge of R1183.80 was taken off our credit card. I went back to the agency in Somerset West and they could or would not give me any information since their "system was down." They would not phone anyone or offered any assistance. They said that they would investigate and come back to me.

At that time I also spoke to the manager, Mr. Duane ** and he did not have any knowledge of the case but would investigate. I also contacted the insurance agent and they also enquired. We never got any response from Avis or from this agency. After a few weeks I went again to inquire and they claimed to have called which was not true. Then they said that someone else was supposed to call. Then Mr. ** knew more about the case and he said that the attendant showed him the care and the tools were loose in the car. He indicated the place where the car was standing and it was on the opposite side of where I had left the car. Mr. ** tool my details and later sent an email to say that it was insufficient information. The insurance broker sent more information then.

I received an email from Mr. ** with the following content: "Good day Mr. **, I have spoken to the Manager at the workshop. We have come to an agreement to credit the damage charges. There will be no charge to you for the damaged tyre. REF:**. Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention, it is greatly appreciated." I informed him that the amount was deducted already and when can we expect a refund. Immediately after I sent this, Mr ** sent another email as follows: " Good day Mr. **, Please ignore my previous emails. This was sent in error. I am still busy with your damage dispute and will get back to you in due time."

I was sent a tax invoice by Mr. ** in the name of Avis fleet for the amount of R779.65. It is unsigned and of no legal value whatsoever. I find this totally unacceptable. There are several things that indicate gross negligence and corruption: 1. How can an allegation like this be made when I know that there was absolutely no damage to the car. 2. How can the alleged damage be escalated from a flat tyre to a totally destroyed tyre? 3. How can a tyre cost that much? 4. How can the manager first know nothing about it and later affirm that he had been informed and saw the damage with his own eyes? 5. How can the car be standing in a completely different place when this claimed investigation was done? 6. How can I be promised to be informed of the damaged and nothing is done? 7. How can I be informed that there will be no charges and when I want the money back, it was changed again? 8. How can the amount change like that?

I find this very disturbing since there is a serious error and a total indifference on the part of the Somerset West branch or this is a matter of blatant corruption. I want to mention that I am writing this to Avis for the last time. I do not intend it to rest for much longer. It will go to social media and I will take legal action as I am 100% sure that I am in the right. Needless to say, I could never think of using your services again unless this is resolved satisfactorily. Some of the above is old already as I do not get any response from Avis. The bottom line is that they took the money, lied several times and the manager at the Strand is protected by Avis. This is perhaps a reflection of the state of corruption in South Africa but not acceptable.

The reason for this review is to warn others of the cunning and deceitful tactics that Avis uses to overcharge their customers. My husband and I booked a car online on the Avis website in July this year. The car was to be picked up at Malaga airport in Spain. The cost was 340.43 Euros for 6 days. We ended paying 791.28 Euros. It was after 10.00 pm and the person behind the Avis desk at the airport knows that at this time of night the customers are tired and in a hurry to get to their destination and here is how the scam works:

First the smiling girl tells us that they have not got the car that we have reserved. "But please do not worry. We will let you have a better car at no extra charge." We agree. She then produces a contract written very small in Spanish and tries to sell us an extra insurance for 100 Euros per day. This would have added 600 Euros to our original cost of 340.42 Euros. My husband told her that it was unreasonable and declined. She does not give up and speaking quite fast she tells my husband that in case of collision or theft he would have to pay a minimum of 1600 Euros. She points this out on the agreement but as my husband declines again, she circles the 1600 Euros excess and asks him to initial it as a disclaimer that he has been warned. She then asks him to initial all sorts of figures on the Spanish document telling him the things he would be liable for.

My husband puts his initials to these various figures in good faith. He asks her if he could have an English copy, which she provided and asks him again to initial in the same places. My husband initialed freely without fully understanding as we were keen to get on with our journey. She also seemed in a hurry to get rid of us. The last thing my husband said to her was: “What do we do about the fuel?” She replied with a big smile on her face: “Just fill the car up when you return it”. We understand now the reason for the big smile. She had just cheated us of 450.85 Euros contributing nicely to her commission. A few days after we got back home we realised that Avis had withdrawn 450.84 Euros from our credit card. We thought it was a mistake. It was! OUR mistake and their deceitful cleverness.

We then looked closely at the agreement and realised that we had been charged 363 Euros for an upgrade of the car from Group C to Group G which she said would be at no extra charge! And to add insult to injury the real cost of such an upgrade (we checked on their website) should have been about 50 Euros. She also sneaked in a charge of 51.55 Euros for something called Fuel upfront option – we did not know what that was, we checked on their website. This is an option for returning the car without refueling it. We never requested that option and she distinctly said to refuel the car before returning it, which we duly did.

We have tried through our credit card and through Avis customer services to get our money back but did not get anywhere. As a last attempt, I tried to plead with their customer service department asking them why we had been charged so much for the upgrade, when on their website there was only a difference of about 50 Euros. Guess what? We had agreed the figures and signed the contract so... They could not do anything. We just want to advise anybody dealing with Avis to be very vigilant, to be wary of any upgrade offered when you collect the car and to check thoroughly the contract document before you initial or sign anything, even if you are tired and in a hurry to go. Needless to say that we will never, never use Avis again.

I booked a compact car for our 10 days' trip but got a Mini Cooper at YXX Intl Airport in British Columbia, Canada. Just for people who haven't noticed the difference, a compact car can seat 5 passengers while a small car can only seat 4. So Mini Cooper obviously falls into small car category. Unfortunately the agent insisted that it is a compact car and we had to squeeze into it with our 8 pieces of bags (we drove to Seattle for a cruise trip).

The prices of renting a small car, a compact car and a mid-size car are about the same. I booked a compact car only because based on my thousands of car rental experience, there was never a problem of it. But this is way too much. We were extremely disappointed and frustrated as you can imagine four adults (including my elder parents) sitting in a two door Mini Cooper for long road trips. I'll never rent Avis car or rent through Priceline again. I just don't understand how people can take it so easy while they have obviously broken the business contract.

My experience with AVIS this summer has been terrible. We rented a car to travel for 15 days by the United States and when arrived at the office of Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco we were attended by two very unpleasant employee and we were told that there was no GPS around San Francisco and could not give us any solution (they suggested us to go to buy a GPS in a mall). After an absolutely nasty treatment AVIS Employees told us to ask for a car with GPS in the office next door, HERTZ, whose treatment was amiable and GPS was available for renting. Before canceling the reservation we asked AVIS if there was some kind of penalty as the entire amount of the vehicle was already paid by us and AVIS Employees confirmed us in a very bad way that AVIS will return the whole the amount we already have paid (€ 731).

They also did not want us to serve more as other customers had arrived to the office and despite the rude and unprofessional treatment we finally got a valid cancellation contract. What is our surprise that after more than two months, it is not only that AVIS did not return our money yet, the worse part is that AVIS now refusing to return it (remember that the office confirmed us the money will be return and we did not even see the car or take the keys) so we are clearly talking about a scam in the making. We have made several claims through both office AVIS customer and through our bank, but so far they have not succeeded. This week reclaim through my company since we booked through the corporate website. Any idea or advice will be welcome. Thank you.

Compare Rental Cars