2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.8/5 (1436 ratings)

About Avis

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: May 11, 2021

Read a few bad reviews and made me a little nervous renting from Avis. I had a great experience at the Denver airport rental location. Shuttle busses were back to back and and plenty of employees working the desk once we arrived, so there was no line. Super quick process and easy to get our vehicle. Would definitely rent from Avis again.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Avis Rental in Temecula helped me rent a vehicle for AZ when I needed one for just one day and to rent from AZ and return to Temecula when the online websites all said they wouldn't rent for a "one way". Temecula Avis got me a great rate. It was an emergency and she helped me with no questions asked. I definitely would recommend Avis Temecula. When I arrived in AZ Avis there was very understandable. Even the people in line let us get in front of them due to our emergency. Definitely recommend AZ/Phoenix Avis.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Avis car rental in San Diego had cars when the others didn’t have a car. Avis did everything to give discounts to save me money and also immediately upgraded the car when a minor issue surfaced. They are now my go to car rental service. I’m a fan!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I feel that Avis is the top of the line when it comes to car rental companies. Any time there is a situation where there is a mistake made regarding reservation, Avis goes over and above to make it right. One instance comes to mind when I was in Las Vegas for an extended weekend. I rented a Toyota Prius from Avis and had a spectacular time and of course I got great gas mileage. I used the car driving all over Las Vegas and even went to Hoover Dam. The problem started when I was cleaning out the car to prepare it for turning it in to Avis. While cleaning the car I found an open container of an alcohol beverage. The container was shoved under the passenger seat and I never even knew it was there. Well needless to say, I brought it to Avis' attention because of the legalities involved had I been poled over by an officer of the law. Well Avis paid for my rental car that weekend and gave me several vouchers for future car rentals. Great customer service!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I had pre-ordered a Jeep. The check-in process went smoothly. My Jeep wasn't quite ready. The representative there, told me they had another one if I would like. It was an upgrade for the same price. I ended up extending three more extra days. The customer representative was very accommodating accommodating.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Went to Avis website mid-June to rent a mini-van at Midway International Airport in mid-July 2021. Site required PRE PAYMENT to get the van for $1483 (on payment page). After entering payment information, the next page added taxes/fees and total was $2125 - for a 2 week rental! Discovered the total when AmEx alerted me. Went to cancel a day after the 48 hour "cancelation window" and now was charged $50 - just to cancel. Do NOT rent from Avis!

Original review: June 21, 2021

The back end, corporate entity, that is Avis car rental; is terrible. At first everything was great, I got a great discount on a fantastic rental for my birthday, but I needed to extend one day… That’s where the craziest price gouging I’ve ever seen in my life took place. I literally paid more than half, of my entire 4 day rental, for ONE DAY. My rental was about $150 a day. They charge me $290 for one day and elevated my rental charges on the original 4 day rental.

Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever experienced. I waited 25 minutes for a representative to hang up on me and never call me back. They literally got my number down as a callback number and then hung up. I called back we need another 35 minutes for their phone system not to work. They did this to a service member. They’ll do worse than anybody else.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I am rating my experience a 1 because it is the lowest rating available. I reserved a car in Concord NC to be picked up on June 13th. I was on-time and at the correct location. The agent had my printed reservation in her hand. She refused to rent me a car, saying it was against their policy. She suggested I drive 50 miles and I might be able to get a car. I called the 800-352-7900 number and was told that North Carolina was sold out. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was disconnected. It took minutes to take my money at the reservation, but after 7 days I do not have a refund nor can I get anyone to answer the phone. I have been disconnected three times today. Please call ahead before you go to a franchise to make sure there will be a car to satisfy your reservation.

Original review: June 21, 2021

First, I never saw an Avis employee when I arrived and had to get my help at a busy Budget car rental counter. Second, about 30 miles into the drive to the hotel I realized that the vehicle had a mechanical problem, and as a result I tried to minimize the driving during my stay. And finally, when I returned my car, there was AGAIN no employees working to check my car back in leaving me to figure out how to return my vehicle by finding a sign on the counter that told me I needed to the mileage, so I had to go back to the vehicle to get the mileage. And being flustered I forgot my notebook somewhere at the rental return, which I didn't realize until I had already taken the shuttle back to the airport and didn't have time to go back to try and find the notebook (which also has all of my travel receipts).

So I called the number on my itinerary and was directed to report the lost item, which I did, and haven't heard back other than a generic response by email that states that the item hasn't been turned in. It was the worst car rental experience of my life, and I think your level of customer service is completely unacceptable.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I made a reservation through Avis.com more than a month before my trip and selected a minivan. Avis had more than a month to make sure that a minivan was there for rental and they failed. The vehicle I settled for was not a minivan, it didn't have the room of a minivan. The reason we rented a minivan was to have the space of a minivan. Poor customer service Avis.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information