Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.05/5

1409 Avis Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2019

The car rental is great. Love the size of cars you can choose from. They have great gas mileage. Overall it is a great company. I would tell a friend about it so they can enjoy the rates that the company has to offer.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've been renting from Avis for more than 35 years both for business and personal rentals. I like the cars that I've rented over the years and the service has been spot on for the most part. They've become a bit too pricey over the past 5 or 6 years which explains why I've not rented as often as I could have. Still, compared to Hertz this is the go to company for me.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I usually use Hertz but this time I used Avis because I do not currently have a credit card, just a debit card. I was in Lafayette, LA. It was a seamless experience. Very nice lady at the counter & helpful. I refrained from 5 stars because it was impossible to see the condition of the car well enough. It was a dark parking lot, not sufficient lighting. But overall satisfied.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Everyone was very helpful & friendly at the Philly airport. The selection was very minimal but I didn't need anything extravagant, ended up with a Chevy Cruze & it was very clean & no damage on it. I definitely would rent again from Avis.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had to rent a vehicle from Avis Rent a Car Systems at 1101 East Roosevelt Rd., Lombard, Il 60148, (630) 620-9113. I rented two different vehicles during a two week span. Agency Operator, **, was extremely helpful, courteous, and worked with me to afford me the best possible prices. ** and his team were very accommodating and I recommend their services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: July 15, 2019

Very bad experience.. Very bad customer service... Rented car for a week and tolls box was installed into the car without my permission, then 1 month later company continue apply tolls charges on my credit card. They charged my credit card as many times as they want. I could not remember that I passed so many tolls. Be aware about this one. They do not care about customers at all and could not explain the charges. Very bitter experience. STAY OUT OF AVIS. Will block AVIS from my credit card and recommend all to do the same.

Original review: July 15, 2019

On my recent rental at Harrisburg International, I rented a vehicle from Avis for 1.5 days, barely drove it. Upon returning it to Avis on 7/14/19 with full intentions of re-fueling, I checked the fuel gauge which had not moved at all because I had barely driven it. They key was showing F (Full) so I returned the car and went to the airport. Upon checking my receipt, I noted the charge of $18.79 for fuel charges which I find quite disappointing. Called their customer service who asked that I provide a picture as proof which I didn't have. In relation to the above, I had rented a vehicle from Enterprise few weeks back who said as long as I return the vehicle above 3/4 full, no need to fill; I still refueled it.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Although the staff is pleasant and helpful, the wait in line to get the vehicle you prepaid for is over an hour since they only have one staff person at the desk on a Saturday in the summer! This also seems to be the modus operandi since it was true two Saturdays ago. And then they don’t even have the car you prepaid for! Of course they smile and offer an upgrade but that is not what we wanted. There is no accountability for how these car rental places operate.

Original review: July 13, 2019

We had a bad experience at the Livonia Mi location. While speaking with the people at the Livonia location trying to get our car - they decided not to honor our confirmed reservation - I said we were going to contact corporate. The people there laughed and said they - corporate - don’t care. After calling them and completing their online form I would have to agree as there has been no communication to us despite our calling, talking and emailing. Very poor customer service.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Avis car rental agreement ** from 24th-26th June 2019 in Chicago. Beware of this scam!! Do not use AVIS who scammed me of $118. I pre-booked and pre-paid it online months in advance. On 6/24 I picked up the car from Avis center in Chicago, where the Avis agent got me to sign a rental agreement with all the additional products added into it without my knowledge. What is in the contract and that it is just for the car as I prepaid and pre-booked online, with no extras, no more to pay. He confirmed so I signed.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I am an Avis Preferred member and booked a minibus at Cape Town Airport for one day. I was given a VW Tiguan vehicle because my booked choice was not available and returned it the next day. On return, the gentlemen said there was damage to the left front wheel. When I received the VW from the gentleman the previous day, it was raining and I did could not inspect the car properly, although I was assured that all existing damage was marked on the damage report. I disputed damaging the car on my return, but have been charged an admin fee even though I took the full insurance option with no access. After various emails between MXB Cabs and me your representative Fasiega **, **, decided to uphold the charge. I still dispute it as I did not cause any damage and had the full cover insurance. I am very unhappy about this and the principle is wrong. The rental agreement number is ** and my Avis Preferred number is **.

Original review: July 11, 2019

This is not a car rental company, this is a MAFIA that attracts you with its low prices and robs you after renting the car!! BE AWARE!!! We rented a car in Bucharest and they mentioned when we were inspecting the initial status of the car that they will not indicate the existing small scratches because according to the contract we do not pay for them in case they appear. The surprise was when delivered the car at the airport!!! They let us pay 240 Euros for a little scratch that existed before we rent the car, but they did not indicate it when we took the car for the reason I mentioned above!! We were in hurry and had to catch our plane, we told them we do not approve the card transaction, however they took our money from the card without our approval, and this is called FRAUD!!! PLEASE PLEASE be aware. Do not deal with these thieves, I don't wish that this would happen with anyone ever!!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Avis car rental agreement ** from 6th to 9th June 2019 in Italy. Beware of this scam!! Do not use AVIS who scammed me of 121.53 Euro. I am from Australia, and rented a car through Avis in Italy. I pre-booked and pre-paid it online months in advance. On 9/6/2019 I picked up the car from Avis center in Naples, where the Avis agent got me to sign a rental agreement with all the additional products added into it without my knowledge. Agreement was in Italian (which I don't speak) so I had agent verbally confirm (in English) what is in the contract and that it is just for the car as I prepaid and pre-booked online, with no extras, no more to pay. She confirmed so I signed.

I found out about the extra charges when I dropped of the car in Rome two days later (i.e. on 9/6/2019). I complained about this there but they charged me close to $200 (121.53 Euro) extra on my credit card. This is on top of the $105 that I paid for the rental already. Now it's a month later. I have emailed AVIS 4 times trying to get the extras refunded. They are not willing to do so as they always come back to the contract I signed. The problem is it was in Italian and that they scammed me into signing a contract as the Avis agent confirmed that there are no extras and no more to pay.

I'm asking them to review CCTV and also have a witness, but none of that makes difference to them. They just want to keep the money they scammed from me. So do not use Avis. They lie, scam, and charge you for things you did not want. Then it's next to impossible to get in touch with them. And when you do they're not willing to return money that they scammed from you. So chose any other car rental instead as your experience cannot be any worse than mine.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We arrived at Tampa airport on June 15 and had reservations for a mid size car (Ford Edge) with Avis. They did not have a vehicle in that classification that was close the size of an Edge for 5 people and luggage. So we agreed to upgrade to next size up a Ford Explorer for additional cost. We were given location of vehicle in garage. We carried our luggage quite a distant to get vehicle and it was not there. We had to carry our luggage all the way back to the desk. We had to wait in line to get waited on for some time to find they thought someone else was given the vehicle.

They gave us another vehicle. A Mazda. So we had to make the long track back to the garage to get that vehicle. When we returned home we found that charges were added to our charge card for toll charges from an area we were not at. Here they were charged for the Ford Explorer we was to get that had not been changed to the other people. It took several phone calls to get our money back. Will not use them again.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I will NEVER EVER rent from Avis again. I reserved a suburban a month in advance on May 29, 2019 and on July 5, 2019 ~ the day off me picking up the rental, an hour before Avis called me to let me know that they didn't have the vehicle available. An HOUR before!!!! Now that's crazy considering you do not know my vacation plans or why I needed the car. How are you going to call me the same day to tell me I don't have a car for a party of 7 which is the reason I reserved it a month before my travel date?! If you want to have a car reserved and have no issues, I recommend HERTZ. They saved the day and I got me a vehicle for 7 people with no issues. Don't take the chance with AVIS. They could ruin your plans.

Original review: July 7, 2019

The fees and charges were exorbitant. I rented a Hyundai Elantra for two days and was charged $312 when I returned it. Apparently the GPS was an additional $80 instead of a daily rate of about $18 I understood to be the case when I picked the car up. My final receipt had printed that the minimal charge would be $221. This was never told to me at any point of the transaction. Also, the toll pass did not work as I was told it would. Thank goodness or I would have probably paid $500 for this sub par rental car. Such a rip off. From now on I will use Enterprise. I've never been shocked and overcharged through them.

Original review: July 7, 2019

My son is in a wheelchair and has a service dog to help him. In May we were traveling in the DC area and needed a car. I had read some things about Avis being bad about service dogs - but I had good luck in the past (without my son and dog) so I rented from Avis. The last day of our trip it rained all day. So when we arrived - I mentioned to the young man I was sorry for the muddy prints in the back cargo area. But what can you do in pouring rain????

Today I received a $250 invoice for cleaning the car and it said there was odor. I don’t doubt that - but a wet dog (even a wet service dog) does have an odor. I do understand that! It isn’t like we wanted to be drenched!!!! We got to Avis at Dulles airport - no help from anyone to get out of the rain. Even the bus ramp for wheelchair didn’t work! I had to light him in. He is 27 - not an easy task. I can forgive that - it was mechanical and things happen. But to get an invoice for $250 is ridiculous. Obviously I should have listened to the reviews and gone with National. Have rented with them (and service dog) and never had an issue! So much for going with the better priced company. In the end - wasn’t such a good deal. Will never rent from Avis again!

Original review: July 5, 2019

This is the absolute worse company to rent from. I will NEVER EVER rent from Avis again. I paid in advance for a rental, when I arrive there is no vehicle in the class I’ve paid for. They wanted to put me in something smaller for the same amount of money and kept saying they could not credit me back. So after over an hour of back and forth they finally put me in a vehicle. So when I returned the vehicle, was I had to pay an additional $21.82. The person could not tell me why (the vehicle was cleaned and on a full tank at drop off) and said to call Cust Svc. So I did. The reps were rude as heck so I asked for a sup. One was not avail and was told to wait for a call back which happened about 3 days a later. She stated she was going to credit my money back.

My statement arrives and they have charged an additional $27.05 So I call to get the money credited back and the rude service agent tells me he is only going to put back the whole dollars but not the cents. I ask him to put back what he has taken, he asks do I want his offer or not. I asked him again to put back what was taken. He said he will not and now his offer to credit is no longer available. I requested to speak with a sup and of course one is not available and I have to wait for a call back. This company is a freaking joke. My advice to you all is to NEVER rent from them! Take your chances somewhere else!

Original review: July 4, 2019

I was overcharged on a rental. I turned the car in a day late and was told I was charged for two extra days. I only had the car for one extra day. I was told I will get some money back and then told me that the charges was correct which wasn't. I been using Avis for a long time but not any more.

Original review: July 2, 2019

If you want to rent a car in Vero beach Florida ask for Scott. He’s pleasant and professional. He stands out among his coworkers. He’s probably the owner because he treat you with respect and compassion. Can’t say the same about his employees though.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I needed to get a rental car to help out a friend and drive them around. I used my debit card and they would give me the cash. I called Avis's hotline. Made a reservation. Gave them all my debit card information. Made the reservation and they took their money. I get on site to pick up my car to be told that they can't accept my debit card. That I needed a credit card. When the guy on the phone already told me that my debit card would be fine. I drive-through 40 minutes of Orlando traffic to get there to be told this. I don’t have a credit card so I told my friend I can't help them. I go 2 days later to pay my rent to have my debit declined. Because Avis took almost $300 out of my debit card that they said that I couldn't use. So now I look like I can't pay my rent because of this.

I call customer service. The first person I spoke to could offer no recourse. So they transferred me to their supervisor. Who told me all he could do was give me my money back in 3 to 5 days which makes me late for rent. I would have not had this problem had they told me on the phone that there was a chance I could drive 40 minutes and could still be turned away. I would have just told my friend right then and there that I couldn’t help them. And still have my money in my account to pay my rent. And all they can do for me is give me back my money when it’s too late. What kind of accountability of customer service is that?? It’s not a deposit from a car that I rented from you that I’m waiting to get back. They fused me service all together. Shouldn't I get my money right back?? And who pays the late charge for me paying my rent late?? And my wasted gas. So now there is no accountability for a company mistreatment of their customers.

Original review: June 29, 2019

While checked out the rental car at Avis, I declined the insurance but was still charged for it in the end. I was told by the customer service agent at check out that he wouldn’t add it in my bill but he did. I was also charged for tolls even though we never went through one. The car had smelled of ** that never went away. I will never rent from Avis again. Extremely disappointed!! Go with a well known company and do your homework.

Original review: June 29, 2019

When checking in at The Avis counter for our almost two week car rental, we told the clerk we want to decline ALL possible additional coverages, there are four. Then the clerk told us to initial all the boxes, to which we did. We found out later through our credit card statement that the CDW was charged to our account (a huge amount!) that we said we did not want and we refused. AVIS is now telling us that we initialed the "accept CDW" box. We did initial the CDW box because the clerk told us to so even though we were thinking it is the refusal!!! Now AVIS isn't giving us our money back saying "Why didn't you read the contract"!

We told the clerk we did not want the coverage(s) to which she acknowledged, yet she told us to initial the boxes anyway. We called CS... A clerk offered 30% off, then 50% off of the CDW charge. Then we talked to a Supervisor(?) and he offered 60% off of the CDW charge. All they kept saying is "Why didn't you read the contract!?!" We told the AVIS counter person what we wanted and what we didn't want! She told us where to initial and we did so, naturally thinking that was to our specifications. And now we have to pay what too much for which we wanted nothing.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I prepaid for an SUV on Avis app. I was charged 502 for the car and insurance. I had someone drive me 2 hours later to pick up the vehicle on time at JFK Airport. Waited in line, no cars were available. Clerk told me to wait 3 hours and I might get a car. I prepaid, I had a reservation #, why no cars. I called the 800 number. 1st operator said, "Sorry, call in the morning." 2nd call I asked the representative to check another airport LaGuardia 30 mins away. He tried to upsell me 300 more for a larger vehicle. I said, "No way. You should compensate me for wasting my time and causing me more time and travel." He found a vehicle, still I had to pay approx 30 more and travel 30 to 40 mins to the other airport. Bad bad experience. I book at least 20 trips a year with Avis.

Original review: June 27, 2019

First off, I’m a Preferred Customer so I don’t see the purpose of being offered pay now or at the counter when I book online, being my card is on file. I should always get the pay now rate without having to put my card info in. So, I reserve a car and prepay for 3 days but only use 2 days and now they won’t credit my card for unused day. I was always told if you think you possibly need and an extra day book it so you won’t be charge an extension fee and possibly extra for the additional. Now you prepay and can’t get adjustment concerning charges. I’m one who rent several times each month. Be careful prepaying. I’m very disgruntled, waited 20 mins to speak with a supervisor when I contact Avis 800 customer service number. After waiting 20 mins, rep come back and state supervisor too busy with other customers and would I like to receive a call back. I’m done with Avis.

Original review: June 24, 2019

We had confirmed 3 15-passenger vans for a large church group trip. The day before we were to pick them up, the leader called to make sure everything was ok. He was told that all of their vans had been "recalled" and so wouldn't be available and there was nothing they could do to help us. After calling every number I could find, I discovered they definitely were not going to help us but I got different stories about the "recall" or why our reservations were cancelled and we hadn't even been notified. How can they stay in business treating people like that? They surely won't be getting anymore of our business or anyone we can convince not to use them.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I’m very dissatisfied with this company. I reserved a vehicle back in February 2019 for a trip in June from New York to Florida for a 12 passenger for a specific vehicle. The day for pick up I was given a different vehicle, very uncomfortable for a trip from NY to Florida. The customer service in White Plains, NY was horrible, they treated us very bad and did not try anything to fix it. They false advertise the options for the customers and then when it's time for pick up, they give you something completely different with no option to change. Our trip was the worst and most uncomfortable and we had to spend additional money in gas. I will never rent anything from Avis and hope something is done about it. Very bad service.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Had a rental car reservation with Avis at ATL airport on Friday June 21. It took one hour and 41 minutes to pick up the car. 12 terminals at pickup counter manned by 4 agents. Manager walked around long line of irate customers apologizing for wait times instead of jumping behind the counter and helping out. Other agents left for lunch breaks. I have never seen such a poorly run car rental operation. My flight time from PHL to ATL was quicker than picking up a rental car through AVIS. Then when finally did get the car, it smelled like an ashtray. Will never rent from AVIS again. Maybe just an ATL Avis location issue, but bad enough to tarnish reputation company wide with me.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Had the worst possible experience last week at this location. First, we are Avis Preferred. Car was supposed to be ready for us. Unfortunately, our flight arrived an hour late. We got a text from Avis saying not to worry, we provided our flight info and reservation would be held for two hours AFTER our delayed flight arrival time. When we get there to get the car, reservation has been cancelled. We speak to a guy in the lot (a HUGE JERK named Daryl) and he basically says he's not helping us and we need to go get in the line with 10-12 people in it. I go up to the window and ask the woman helping another customer if I really need to wait in that long line and she gives me a lecture for interrupting and tells me to get in the back of the line. I was ready to explode. Wish I had her name.

After waiting in the long line, we get the car and they offer no apologies. We couldn't help that our flight was delayed and they had our flight information. We prepaid for this car, by the way. We paid for a GPS for the week but it didn't work. Then we go to return the car. They tell my husband that they have no record of our reservation as it was cancelled and they'll have to re-do it. This is a week later. They take so long we almost miss our flight. They tell us to go and they'll figure it out later. God help us and we'll likely get charged twice. Worst car rental experience we've ever had.

Original review: June 21, 2019

If I could rate 0, I would like to do it. I made a reservation based on the University SAP Concur Travel System, which gave the estimation of the approximate charge (Total: 407.27 USD for a week; a common SUV). However, in the end, I was charged of $2147.81. No damage and did not include the gasoline charges. From my understanding that Avis would like to stop me to rent cars in the future (You can cheat me once, but you can not fool me twice).

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information