Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

DO NOT RENT FROM CHARLESTON, SC LOCATION OR FROM AVIS!!! They will LIE to you and TRICK you into taking an upgraded car and then charge you for the original car plus the upgraded car they talk you into, while LYING to your face about what you will actually be charged for the final rental!!! Now... the story behind the warning.

We rented and pre-paid a car online. At the time of pick-up, the "smooth talking", lying customer service man behind the counter told us it would only cost us $85 more (TOTAL) to upgrade to a sportier car. He even wrote "only $85" on a piece of paper and never once indicated to us that he was going to charge us for the pre-paid car plus an additional $85 "per day" for the upgrade! He told us it was a special they had that day and made us believe we were getting this great deal. :(

After receiving the final bill and noticed we were charged for not only 2 cars but also $85 "per day" for the upgrade, I tried calling Avis customer service to discuss our overcharge with them. I explained to "John" at customer service that we had been charged for 2 rental cars and that we were only supposed to pay for the upgrade car we actually rented. He wouldn't listen to what I had to say about being overcharged, all he did was tell me that we signed the contract and that he had to stick with what we signed. I tried to explain to him that the contract we signed and what we agreed to wasn't the same thing or correct. I also tried to explain to him that we were actually charged for 2 rental cars, not just the upgrade. John, at Avis customer service, was very rude and acted like he couldn't care less about our overcharge or the experience we had with the rental counter agent. He even hung up on me when I asked to speak to a manager!!!

NO WONDER THIS COMPANY HAS AN F- RATING WITH THE BBB!!! They are the absolute worst rental car company and has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with for a business!!! Avis, you should be ashamed for training your employees to act in such a manner!!! It's truly amazing that such poor customer service exists today and with such a large company. There are so many rental car companies to choose from... DO YOUR HOMEWORK, LOOK AT REVIEWS. NEVER will I rent from or recommend Avis again!!!

I made the reservation online, and there is apparently a not very obviously stated policy that there is a $50 cancellation fee for a pre-paid car rental, even if it's cancelled more than a month in advance.

Let's see where to start. I was driving from NY to South Carolina. My personal car broke down and needed to be taken off the road while the dealer in SC worked on it. So I rented a car from Avis using my Visa debit/credit card (Rung up as a credit card transaction). They took almost 400 dollars for the rental. THEY HAD MY 400 DOLLARS! Get to the counter, was told I can't rent the car because I didn't take a flight? What the hell Avis. I have no car, 2 kids under 4, and a wife with no transportation.. AFTER I PAID YOU ALREADY.

Then you wanted to keep a cancellation fee at first. You did try to help me by moving my reservation to another spot, which was nice. Then you tried to tell me the same reservation/rental was going to cost me almost 100 dollars more. Oh btw, no transportation since the car was in the shop so it would be a pain in the ass to get a ride over to said new location. To top it off, the ladies at the front counter were no help at all and told me to call the company because I booked via their Avis.com website.

I have used Avis ever since I first started renting cars and I've never had a problem UNTIL recently... I made a reservation a month prior to my pick up on March 30th at 4:30pm at Dulles INT. Airport but when I got there I found out the Avis representative who made the reservation for me (Avis Reservation number) had put in some sort of business code... I'm not here for business. I'm military. So being under age the store wasn't able to help at all besides to call the reservation number and have them fix it. Three and a half hours later I finally get things fixed and I am given a 2016 Chevy Malibu. 2 days later the check engine light comes on the car so I take it to 2 different locations in the Virginia Beach and Norfolk Virginia area and they have no standard size vehicles so now I'm stuck with a car that has a check engine light on (Mind you this took 2 hours plus drive time of 1 hour to get figured out).

The next day I drive to Lynchburg VA Airport and they had a standard size 2016 Ford Fusion (5 hour ride to that airport for a car). When I got in the car, it was filthy as if no one had cleaned it but oh well no check engine light... 1 day later the Engine oil light and notification comes on just hours before driving down to Mississippi (2000 mile round trip) so again I have to find an Avis location that has a standard size vehicle for me in the Norfolk area. I am not on day 13 out of 24 with dealing with AVIS and these poorly cared for cars. I spent nearly $1,000 for 22 days but have now spend everybit of 12-13 hours of my hard earned vacation trying to get a reliable vehicle from Avis and not to mention the ear full my wife has been giving me for taking family time away. Worst experience. Wish me luck that my last few days don't get wasted with more AVIS problems. Thank you and have a great day.

I had a very bad experience today with Avis located 919 Parkside Walk Lane, GA 30044. My husband made a reservation with a confirmation number for pick-up today, April 4, 2017 at 5 pm and drop-off for Friday April 7, 2017 at 6 pm. Earlier this morning my husband received a confirmation phone for the pick-up of the vehicle, with the detail his wife (me) would be picking up the vehicle. I had to order a Uber drive to the location with the thought of picking up the car that was reserved for 5 pm but when the car was suppose to be picked up there was no car available. The nearest Avis could supply a car in Buford, GA. The person at the desk seemed like he didn't care at all about not being able to supply the vehicle that was reserved. "There's nothing I can do" is what he kept saying. My husband spoke to him on the phone and he was extremely apathetic to the whole situation. Very bad customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

First AVIS overcharge: Feb 05, 2017 – Feb 12, 2017 (7 days) total charge should have been $312.11, what was billed to my credit card was $1,054.49. That’s an overbill and charge of $742.38. This overcharge on AVIS’s part was not discovered by AVIS, I had to bring it to AVIS’s attention, which means I tried calling three times and placed on hold and transferred around multiple times to no avail, then had to leave work and go to the AVIS desk at the airport to try and resolve only to be apologized to and told it would be corrected immediately. 2 days later it still wasn’t resolved and I still needed my receipt which had not yet been posted so I had to go back to the airport’s AVIS desk again to get it. This screw-up which was totally AVIS’s fault cost me over 6 hours in wasted time and frustration.

Second AVIS overcharge: March 13, 2017 – Mar 20, 2017 (7 days) total charge should have been $283.73, what was charged to my credit card was $1,093.78 that’s an over bill and charge of $810.05. Again, this overcharge on AVIS’s part was not discovered by AVIS and I had to bring it to AVIS’s attention. THAT’S TWICE IN 2 MONTHS CHARGING ME OVER $1,500.00 AND MAKING ME JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO GET IT BACK!!! This was a very large inconvenience as I was originally told that the issue would be resolved immediately but two weeks go by and then once it’s RESOLVED I’m told I still had to wait 4 - 5 days to see it posted.

Please know that because I have to submit ALL expenses in a timely manner to my company's accounting department the full amount was deducted from my pay check which was very inconvenient. What the company payroll takes back is actual cash from my check. What AVIS refunds back is a credit to my charge card which is two entirely different things.

Also at the time of my rental I informed and continue to inform the counter personnel that I DO NOT WANT E-ZPass, and that I pay for all my tolls IN CASH at time of use. Without my consent or knowledge the E-ZPass is evidentially still registering while closed-up in its box while I’m simultaneously paying cash and I just realized AVIS is charging my credit card for this without letting me know. STOP!!! Also, when I brought this up to the AVIS representative at Albany airport he simply said “You have to take that up with E-ZPass, it’s not my problem”, uh hello, I didn’t agree to anything with E-ZPass, AVIS did, all I agreed to do was rent a car not a E-ZPass, so it is not and should not be “MY PROBLEM”!!

I have not asked for anything other than what I originally contracted for but what amazes me is that AVIS puts me through all this POOR customer service and the only thing they do is say “sorry for the inconvenience” then they do it again. Not once has anyone attempted to make good on the trouble your company has put me through, but you want people to remain loyal customers. REALLY! I say this because I value good customer service and to overcharge a customer then have him/her take time out of their work day and travel back to the service desk twice over a three-day period and also make 3-4 phone calls to customer service only to have it finally resolved a week and a half later and still told that it will take 4-5 days to post is unacceptable. I know that the customer isn't always right, but on this one I don't think I'm wrong. Remember this is the second time this has been done to me in just as many months. Very frustrating.

Arrived to Avis counter in Palm Springs, CA to see long line and one person at the counter. There are three terminals but one person is available. The line drew longer and I waited 30 min. and did not move an inch. I called Avis customer service alerting to the situation and asked if they can send somebody to help the poor man at the counter. The response I heard shocked me. I was asked if I am willing to pay the wages for the other employee. He said "you can cancel your reservation and move along." I will for sure not reserve any Avis car in the future.

My experience is always bad with Avis Car rental. When you make reservations your card goes through everything seems to be fine until you get to the place of pick up. Then they tell you they ran a credit check you didn't pass so now you have to call and request for your money back also making you late for your departure and late for other reservations. My place of departure was Macon GA Airport. The young girl behind the counter is always so rude to me. I wouldn't recommend you rent a car from Avis Car Rental.

I was spoken to extremely rudely - to the point that the manager assured me I would be compensated. Now the head office of Avis is refusing to honor this promise of compensation. They just want your money and don't care who they have to screw over to get it and once they do they treat you like ** - and the managing director can't be bothered to honor promises by the company.

I rented a car from Tucson international airport on March 7th. Returned it the next day at Phoenix airport with a full tank of gas. Over 2 weeks later I was charged over $2600. To top it off, when I called Avis, they had NO RECORD of me even renting a Car! My account has been overdrawn for over one week. Horrible service.

I'm curious if anyone had an experience of being charged for a mechanical repair. AVIS BUDGET had to be the worse rental experience in my life and I certainly will not consider the company again in the US or abroad because of this problem. We rented a car from the Zurich Airport in Switzerland on November 2016 and have been fighting a ridiculous and unfair charge since. We drove the vehicle from Zurich to Salzburg traveling approximately 800 km round trip. On that trip, we had a problem with the clutch. The car began to have a strong odor on the return and we called to have the car picked up in Rorschach, CH. We are now billed $2789.18 for the repair of the clutch and the case has been closed by the Zurich office.

In addition, we could not have possibly burned out the clutch in this short distance. We believe this mechanical damage had to have begun with previous renters and we were just the last to drive and are now being billed for full repairs. We drive cars with a clutch regularly and have never had a problem before now. In addition AVIS BUDGET provide no reasonable documentation to charge us for this repair other than photos of the clutch. The contract we signed is all in German and no English documents were offered for us to even read the contract to understand how we can be charged for this.

We asked for the charge to be removed, we asked for a compromise and prorate the cost over the total miles on the car, lastly we disputed the charge with the credit card company. If nothing else offering to pay a prorated amount I feel would be reasonable and fair but AVIS BUDGET is more interested in bilking us for the repair than providing decent customer service. Anyone reading this I would highly recommend using the other services from Zurich Airport such as SIXT who we had excellent customer service with and a contract in English. Hertz and Europcar are other better options.

I went on a business trip to KC from NJ with prepaid rental from Avis. I arrived and the guy behind the counter told me where the car was located. When I dropped off the car I got charge 37.93 on my credit card. When I called I was told I had an upgrade from a compact to a full size vehicle which I don't mind if I would have been told about it. The guy behind the counter failed to notify me on the upgrade and when I spoke to customer service a week ago he told me I would get my full refund. After looking at my CC statement no money so I called back and after an hour on the phone I was told I would get a 50% credit on my CC.

Never again I would rent from Avis and I hope nobody else does either. This is the second time I had an issue with Avis. The first time they charged me an extra day when I rented an SUV because the office person was not in at the time I returned it which was around 10 in the morning. Went thru hell and back trying to get them to refund my money.

I agreed with the previous writer. Avis do not even deserve one rating. My advice to others do not try it. It cost me 900 dollars. A small glass by the window was when they robbed the car. They stole our bags. I was shocked when I saw these things. My in law nearly fainted. Even till now she could not digest the situation. We waited two hours in -2 degrees before the police told us on phone to take the car to the police station. After wasting time doing these things, the Avis withdraw without notice and without given invoice 900 dollars from my account. I do not recommend them at all.

I prepaid a reservation toward the end of January 2017 for a car in mid-March 2017. At the time, I indicated that my arrival in LAX would be at 1230 PM. My flight was cancelled and I was rebooked two hours later. I went to the Avis website and noted that several parts of the reservation could be modified. I chose the time and changed it to 230 PM. Apparently, this caused my reservation to be charged an additional $67+.

I phoned Avis, however, I could not understand the person on the other end. Sounded like one of those Asian call centers. When I arrived in LAX, I took the shuttle to Avis and, once again, noticed my name was not on the board (this happens most of the time). I went in and told the agent of my problem. She was quite rude and she told me that she couldn't change anything. The agent next to her said that I shouldn't have stated I would be late. Rather than stating they would look into the problem or apologizing, they just made it worse. So... They "upgraded" me to a Jeep Cherokee. Not what I wanted, nor liked, but kept it anyway. My major complaint was the rudeness of the Avis staff at LAX.

1 day rental MIA to FLL. Stopped for lunch, defective door lock. Called 14 times, was told I had to go talk to someone in PERSON in MIAMI coz their phones were down. Rental was $71.99. Computers were down in MIA... FLL airport couldn't print my return receipts. 20 days later, got a bill for $410.64 because of how they processed return issue. I called and was told I had to prove by sending my $71.99 rental agreement?! I said, please prove what the ** bill is FOR? THEY COULDN'T SAY. Eventually got the credit with ALL MY PROOF. Never found out how they thought they could charge my credit card with ZERO explanation.

Top it off... was told to call roadside assistance. 90 minutes later, great guy came and said No Charge for DEFECTIVE LOCK. Avis charged $60. When I disputed it, we got FOUR identical $60 fee letters with the date of my dispute that they were going to appeal for us. The issue made us miss our plane, get charged $198 for that AND slept in the airport BAGGAGE claim with my 72 year old husband. AVIS DID NOT CARE ABOUT ANY OF IT. It appears they go through this all day. Also, after 17 phone calls to note the defective lock, THEY NEVER RECORDED it. NOT EVEN THE SUPERVISOR. The supervisor said it was all recorded in our Case #. IT WASN'T.

I've been a loyal customer for several years and my most recent experience has been very disappointing. I have not even traveled yet and cannot even imagine what it would of been like if I actually had the car. I've been trying to resolve my issue with the customer service, but unable to do so. I booked my car initially on Jan 31st for a trip to Italy and then on Feb 18th, I wanted to update the rental to my husband's name because he will be the driver. When I called, the representative told me that I have to cancel the reservation and book a new one, and when I asked them if they could match the price they told me NO. Any other company would do this without a problem and work with a customer to match the price since I already prepaid and locked that price. I did not had any other choice but to cancel and re-book it for the higher price, because if I would of cancelled it completely I will lose $50.

Then on Mar 1st I made some modifications to the dates and pick up location. That went ok over the phone, however the rep told me that I will get a credit back for the difference which was over $250 in the next a couple of days. I've been waiting for about 3 weeks and did not get a refund. When I called again on Mar 18th another rep told me that I will get a refund after I return my car. This trip is 3 months away and when I asked them why I could not be refunded the difference the rep told me "it is our policy", and when I asked to speak to the manager he started yelling at me in Spanish and hang up. Very rude and unprofessional. This does not make any sense, why the company has to keep my money until I return the car. I called back and another rep told me the same and also he informed me that there will be no guarantee that the car that I booked will be there when I come to pick it up. I asked again to clarify.

I understand that sometimes that specific model will not be available, but it should be similar model to accommodate 6 people in our group plus luggage. He told me again that the reservation does not guarantee the vehicle availability. At that time we did not make any decisions and had no intention to cancel the reservation. When we hang up we received an email with cancellation stating that prepaid amount will be refunded minus $50. My husband wrote back to customer service immediately saying that we did not ask to cancel the reservation and if they can please reinstate the reservation? They replied No "We regret to inform you that we cannot retrieve cancel reservations, however, you may book a new one". It has been very stressful a couple of months just to book a car and make some modifications. The Mission statement does not represent experience that I received.

I returned my rental car on March 10 2017 with a full tank of gas. I received an invoice from Avis on March 20 with a charge of $97.90 for a refueling fee. I called the number on the invoice and was told when the car was rented again it had a 1/4 tank of gas in it. I told them I had returned it with a full tank, I was informed that I could send a receipt in, which I no longer have. I would like to know what happened to the fuel that was in the tank between the time I dropped it off and the time it was rented again? Has this happened to anyone else?

I have rented out a SUV from Avis recently for a day in Edison, NJ and I had returned it 20 minutes late (24 Hours+20 Min). While I was returning the car, the Avis location was closed and so I have dropped the key in drop box and a photo was clicked and I went back home. Afterwards, it came to my notice that I was charged for DAY 2 by closing the rental agreement late (on a following day). I emailed this mistake by Avis Rep and then Day 2 charges were reversed.

Then after a week, I was charged again for Toll charges for the day I was not in Avis rental; when I looked at the Rental receipt and e-toll receipt, it was noticed that, Avis representative/someone has utilized rental car (by driving with Toll) on my name after I return it and have put Toll charges and DAY 2 rental charges (as mentioned above) on my card. By looking at the telephonic conversations I had on this issue with Avis reps/customer care, the whole system looks messy to me. They lied on my return timing, manipulated data with late contract closure and have put fraudulent charges on my card! My sincere advise is never ever rent a car from Avis.

This company doesn't even deserve the ability to be rated ONE star!! Renting from Avis rental car was by far the absolute WORST experience I've ever had when dealing with a company of some type of service. From start to finish everything was handled completely unprofessional and caused me more grief it's hard to believe it really happened!!! They cost me a lot of money by making my vacation get set back because of their lack to do their job correctly and finished it off by charging me $802.36 a week after dropping off the car and after paying DOUBLE than I had originally planned when picking up the car!

The worst part is, after speaking to SIX different people in customer service they were suppose to credit me $75.00 and give me TWO free days of rental because of setting my vacation back a couple days from the issues I endured because of this rental. What they ended up doing was NONE of what they promised and took $803 and costed me in the end total with ALL problems combined roughly $3000!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! I will NEVER AGAIN RENT FROM THIS COMPANY AND SUGGEST THAT IT BE ** DOWN!! Run from this place!!! Never trust them!!!

I booked a car with Avis Car Rental through the website BookIt.com. Initially, I book the car for 2 days from March 7th 11:00 am to March 8th 3:00 pm (which is actually a day and 4 hours but the price showed 2 days). However, I return the car after only 1 day from March 7th 10:48 am to March 8th 10:29 am. In spite, using the car for only one day, Avis Rental Car charged me for 2 days and a basic coverage fee. When I called to get a refund back on my credit card the representative was very rude and did not want to refund the money. He proceeded to say that I received a discount for renting the car for two days which was clearly untrue according to the price of a one day rental vs a two day rental and then said they charge by the hour. After over two hours he finally gave me 25% off my charge which still was not equal to giving me a full refund for using the car for 1 day instead of 2.

I rented a van and prepaid for it. I asked to drop off the van at the local airport for an additional $28 fee. No problem. When we checked the final bill there was a $25 dollar misc fee charged to my credit card. My wife called Avis to inquire what the $25 misc fee was and the customer service rep said it was for air conditioning. What is the purpose of the air conditioning charge and the woman responded, "The ac is what cools the car down." My wife thought she was joking, but she wasn't joking. My wife said we would contend the charge and that's when the rep said she would credit us the $25. Question: how many people don't question the fee. I'll bet and I'm sure Avis bet, not that many!!!

Avis started off by adding $125 to my original booking fee for no reason, on questioning it they claimed it was an honest mistake. Perhaps this is true. However, after I returned the car and the man told me all was OK, I later received a letter to say I was being charged $250 for soil in the car. I've seen the photos of the dirt, yes there was some muddy footprints in the footwell, BUT it would take 5 mins with a vacuum to clean. To charge $250 for a muddy footprint in the footwell when the reason for the dirt is because of the snow/ice is against their own contract terms that allow for "fair wear and tear". If you want to avoid unwanted costs, AVOID AVIS.

Do NOT rent from this company! I declined all the optional coverages in my PREPAID reservation. At pick up of the vehicle, there are pages and pages to be signed or initialed and travelers are rushed and tired so you have to rely on their counter people for their expertise and honesty, neither of which exist with this company! When they asked for the name of my insurance company, I said "hang on, I need to think of the name, I just switched a couple of weeks ago". They said "don't worry, just write in Avis".

Did I know that was now saying that I was accepting their insurance? NO! Then I asked if I needed the toll road thing to my destination. Since I was unfamiliar with the area and they said "yes, there are tolls", so I DID decide to take that. I go to the car, there is no toll road thing in it. So back I go and they give me a different car that did have it. There was ONE toll and they took cash! I did not need to spend $3.95 per day PLUS the toll! I contacted them and their attitude was "too bad - that's not our problem". Integrity is sorely lacking! I wouldn't recommend this business to my enemies!

BEWARE!!! I rented an SUV, it broke down. Company did not send me a replacement vehicle and roadside told me there is no service today. I was stranded 1 hour away with no help at all. Terrible company. NEVER AGAIN. BEWARE!!! Called a cab, 3 months later I received a 800$ bill claimed for leaving the SUV in a service station parking lot.

Don't risk you life hiring a car from Avis car rental. I hired a car online to collect in Bangkok airport. On arrival they offered me a Toyota Vios. Which is what I had booked... except it was damaged and dents and not clean. So I said "I would not accept this car." The manager told me "that's what you ordered." I said "I didn't order a dirty damaged car." So he said "I will give you an upgrade"... a Honda city. This was worse than the first car with large dent on the bonnet and... well... dents everywhere. Dirty and grubby inside. So I said no to this one also. He said "that's it or you wait for a couple of hours till something else comes in." We took the car but not happy.

On our travels about 3 days later. I had the oil and water checked and found that the brake fluid was near empty so I purchased the appropriate fluid and it was filled... Also no water in the screen washer. Dangerous... yes with possible brake failure. So can only assume that the car was not checked or cleaned before we took the car. NEVER AGAIN.

1PM on Wednesday, 2/22/17. At Avis counter. 1 person working, 2 others on the phone and/or laughing. All car rental counters backed up. Apparently no cars at San Jose Airport. No real info from Avis desk employees, just what we could hear while standing in line. Rumor has it that it is a 3-4 hour wait for cars... at least other rental agencies were talking to people in line & trying to do something. Avis Desk people were useless.

Tried Avis customer service phone number. I think the person was out of country and was no help. Gave me the customer service number to call... but it was the number I used to reach them. Need to get to Monterey to look after my aging parents for a couple of days (ages 91 & 86) so I am taking a $160 cab/shuttle ride just to get to them. I hope to get my reservation cleared up & not get charged for canceling. What a mess, HORRIBLE SERVICE & UNACCEPTABLE PLANNING/MANAGEMENT of whatever is going on there.

I'm a Avis Preferred Member. I called in, spoke with an unhelpful lady checking rates for a 2 day rental, asking her if there a good rate for a 2 day rental and me being a preferred member who rents there all the time. She huffing and blowing like she tired. So I bust out and said "I will call another Enterprise." So I figure I would give it another try. Call back, get a man, ask him a rate on and tried to give him my info. He like "I got it already" like attitude. So ** Avis. I will rent my cars elsewhere. Too many bad reviews. I didn't want to click a star because at this time they don't deserve it.

I reserved a car at the LAX location, $42 a day, after taxes, fees, etc $62. Ok. I get that. We arrived at the LAX location and my $62 a day now becomes $102 dollars a day (not happy). They also tell us there will be a shuttle to the port where we drop the car. Next day we get to the car drop, the woman at the counter advises there are no shuttles, there haven't been in years and she is fed up with the LAX location lying to people all the time. Now I'm an extra $25 dollars for a cab. I get home a week later and discover that I have been billed $202 dollars for my $42 dollar a day car. Unbelievable. I filed a complaint with no satisfaction. I will never use Avis again and advise anyone needing to rent a car to look elsewhere.

We reserved an AWD vehicle from Avis to be picked up in Salt Lake City. When we arrived, the agent told us that our vehicle was not AWD, that to get that, we would need to upgrade. So they ripped us off for an additional $153. I will NEVER rent from Avis again. Their agent and company is highly unethical. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that agents get a bonus for 'upgrade' ripoffs like this.

We rented a car from Avis through Rentalcars.com in Canada before our trip but when we arrived in Toulon, France (train station) we were told that the car was not available (a common trick) but they would give another, less expensive vehicle. However, when they gave us the contract they had substituted a much higher priced car not what we were told. I admit I missed this and they added all sorts of upgrades we did not verbally agree to but were put on the contract. When the final bill from Avis arrive onto my credit card account the charges were much higher than anticipated.

I challenged these with Avis for over 2 months and twice was promised a refund (Avis North America) but when followed up (by me), was informed that Avis France denied my claims. I realize that I will not get any refund but want to go on record that the local Avis France (Toulon train station) mislead their customers and what is discussed is not included on the contract in their zeal to have 'upcharges'. Beware!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
  • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
  • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
  • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
  • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
  • Best for Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars