2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.53/5

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Avis car rental in San Diego had cars when the others didn’t have a car. Avis did everything to give discounts to save me money and also immediately upgraded the car when a minor issue surfaced. They are now my go to car rental service. I’m a fan!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I feel that Avis is the top of the line when it comes to car rental companies. Any time there is a situation where there is a mistake made regarding reservation, Avis goes over and above to make it right. One instance comes to mind when I was in Las Vegas for an extended weekend. I rented a Toyota Prius from Avis and had a spectacular time and of course I got great gas mileage. I used the car driving all over Las Vegas and even went to Hoover Dam. The problem started when I was cleaning out the car to prepare it for turning it in to Avis. While cleaning the car I found an open container of an alcohol beverage. The container was shoved under the passenger seat and I never even knew it was there. Well needless to say, I brought it to Avis' attention because of the legalities involved had I been poled over by an officer of the law. Well Avis paid for my rental car that weekend and gave me several vouchers for future car rentals. Great customer service!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I had pre-ordered a Jeep. The check-in process went smoothly. My Jeep wasn't quite ready. The representative there, told me they had another one if I would like. It was an upgrade for the same price. I ended up extending three more extra days. The customer representative was very accommodating accommodating.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Renting a car for 10 days-- found a good deal with Avis through Priceline. Got the receipt from avis and they charged an extra $350! Fuel charge- despite the car being returned full, energy recovery charge- despite the price quoted as 'all in', and a $250 cleaning fee. It is true that if you got close up to the seat in the back you could see a little dog hair- easily gotten up with a vacuum which they claim to do every time anyhow. I have made multiple rentals with Hertz for the same trip with the same dog and have never been charged a dime. Nice to see that in this covid time when your business is in the toilet you at AVIS still find a way to stick it to the customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Do not rent a car from Avis! I rented an SUV for a week and never left the area. Miraculously over 5,400 miles were driven. I have no idea how this could happen but we drove it maybe 500 miles during that week. When I complained to Avis they would not help to resolve. My initial bill was $787 and ended up approximately $2500! I contacted my credit card company for assistance. All I can do is file the complaint with my credit card company in hopes to cause them pain. Also, report on this website as well as the Better Business Bureau. I suspect a faulty reader or a problem with the vehicle. In any event, I did not drive it over 5,000 miles in one week. I don't even think it's possible!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

This is by far the shadiest rental car I dealt with, They charged me for a reservation that never took place because they don't accept debit cards, but they still take your money, 2 years later and still haven't received a penny, They said they will pay me almost a year ago, discussing pigs, they don't answer their phones or emails, I hope you go bankrupt you thieves, low life people.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

After weeks of research and speaking with multiple people currently working with the program, I decided to rent a car for the purpose of driving for Uber. The only company that is currently partnered up with Uber in my area at the moment is Avis. So, I went through all the steps and vetting process to get my account set up as a driver for Uber. The next step was to call my local Avis branch that participates in the Uber rental car program (as not all Avis locations do) to check availability and make a reservation.

I was told by several people currently renting a car through Avis for Uber that there may be a waiting list. Therefore, with this in mind, while on the phone with the agent for Avis making my reservation I asked him point-blank and specifically if there were cars immediately available and, if so, was I assured to get one. I wanted to make sure of this because I had another job I was working and would not be able to work both being I was going to drive for Uber full time. Also, I wanted to make plans to see my family for the holidays (this all happened 2 weeks before Thanksgiving 2020) as I have been without my own car for two years & thus haven't seen my parents in over 2yrs.

The Avis associated assured me there were cars immediately available and the only way to ensure I'd get one was to make a reservation right then as they go very quickly. So, after confirming this with him a second time I made my reservation, made plans to see my family, and resigned from the other job I was working (which was a part-time job I was working after being laid off because of Covid). I was so excited to, in my mind, have a full time job again but more importantly, have a car (which is necessary with an out work wife from Covid laid offs as well and a 2yr old son). So, my reservation was made for Friday at 11am and I received several emails confirming my reservation time, date, vehicle type/class, costs, etc.

So the morning of, I booked and paid for a 20min Uber ride to the location. After waiting in line for about 45min (with my wife and 2yo son), I gave the agent my info, reservation number and informed her of my situation that I was renting a car through their Uber program. She immediately said they have no cars whatsoever available for the Uber rental program and that there was a waiting list with about 20 or so people on it and it would probably be about 3 weeks before anything would be available. She also said that an agent that works specifically with the Uber program at that location would reach out to me as soon as a vehicle became available as that's how the program works because they get the vehicle registration, insurance info, etc. set up with Uber prior to arrival - none of which was related to me when I spoke with the first gentleman who assured me of vehicle availability.

She also said that this happens a lot and "wasn't sure why they (Avis phone agents) keep doing this." She took my info, added me to the waiting list and said someone would reach out to me as soon as a vehicle is available. She also apologized several times and suggested I call customer service 800 number to issue a complaint. So, infuriated after being lied to, wasting my time, wasting my money on rides to and from, making holidays arrangements with family and quitting what little work I was able to find, I left totally empty handed, with only a possibility of maybe getting a car and thus work in 3-4 weeks.

After the out of pocket, 20min Uber ride home, I felt I had calmed down enough to be able to speak civilly to someone on the phone via the Avis customer service 800 number. The so called supervisor who's attempted to speak to me in very hard to understand, broken English offered no assistance or understanding of why/how this could happen, thus no unwilling to accept fault or responsibility and thus offered no resolution or solution whatsoever to try and make things right or to satisfy an extremely upset customer. All he did was attempt to pass off responsibility and action to the local manager of that store & that they would have to reach out to me whenever a vehicle was made available because "reservations do not guarantee vehicle availability."

First of all, what the hell is even the point of a reservation if it doesn't do exactly that and second of all, if I was told that from the onset I would've been fine with that and have not have quit work, make plans with family, spent money on transportation, etc. But because I was told the exact opposite and assured vehicle availability, I made plans accordingly, based off this blatant lie. So, if you made it this far in reading this review - thank you for your time and this is why I am giving Avis a 1 star review. If negative stars were an option, they would've received that rating instead.

To sum up, I guess larger corporations like this are dishonest and are in the practice of telling customers straight up lies to just get you in the door. And when they are called out in regards to such lies, just like the used car salesman of old, use the AIM method - Acknowledge, Ignore, Move on. What do they care about a few hundred or thousand customers a year who get lied to and are extremely upset? They got that many more spending money with them, which in the end, obviously, is the only thing that matters. It's a damn shame. Customer service used to be of utmost importance but these days only your quota, sales goal, bottom line, matters and the only people they are looking to satisfy or whose opinion they care anything about is that of the share holders.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I booked my rental pickup truck Travelocity for one day, in order to take my daughter to a drive in movie for Halloween. When I purchased the one day through Travelocity with insurance my total was $74.56. I arrived to the rental car place at 10:30am on October 31st and the customer service from the get go was awful. I was charged $166.55 for my pickup truck initially. The pick up truck had not been cleaned. I had an appointment to get to by 1pm and could not go back to exchange the truck. I rented the truck for 1 day, no damage was done to the vehicle, and gas was full. On November 9th I was billed $1101.65 for the one day I rented the pickup truck. I used a debit card to rent the truck and called Avis to get those corrected.

Avis did not refund me and I called my bank to stop the payment. The Next day Avis charged me $1270.65. I called Avis again for a refund and they informed me THEY made a mistake and did not check the truck in when I returned it on November 1st and charged me $1270.65. I was told upper management had to review the refund before I could get any money back while it was THEIR fault. I was told I would receive a call from the Manager and have yet to receive any call from Avis. I still have not received a refund for their mistake and I am now getting overdraft fees exceeding my initial truck rental. I was told there was nothing they can do about it even though this is their fault and have my money. I have still not been contacted not refunded. Do NOT rent a car from Avis!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I made a reservation online and paid for it with my debit card. When I get to my destination to pick up the vehicle the attendant tells me that I need a credit card because they’re going to check my credit before giving me the car even though I had already paid for it with my debit card which is basically the same as cash and had the security deposit readily available. They denied my credit at the counter and told me that they couldn’t give me a car after already taking my money for it and me showing that the funds were available despite my credit. They don’t check your credit to make the reservation AND PAY FOR IT but they check it when you pick up the car and if they deny your credit when you go to pick the car up then you just lost that money for the reservation. Then I had to cancel it right then with the attendant and he tells me there’s nothing he can do and I’ll have to call customer service.

Aren’t the attendants customer service? Why is customer service telling me to call customer service? That doesn’t make sense... Then when I ask about getting a refund they say it’s non refundable and if I want to dispute it then I have to wait until the next business day to speak with a supervisor. Why do I have to wait until the next business day when today is a business day? Where is the supervisor for today? Does anyone that work there know what’s going on because everyone that doesn’t have any logical answers throws out the scapegoat of “well that’s just our policy”.

Their policy is to take from you first and then when they determine whether or not they want to give you what you paid for you may not even get your money back or there’s some loophole where they can get away with keeping some of your money and they wanna call it a “processing fee”. So I’m stuck trying to find another car and the money that I had for a rental is now being held by Avis and they won’t even rent me the car THAT I ALREADY PAID THE RESERVATION FOR. So I was stuck at the air port for 2 extra hours and had to spend money on a taxi to get to a different rental. They took my money for a rental and then determined that they didn’t want to rent me a car. That’s theft...

I’ve had to call so many people today to try to figure this out. Not one customer service representative had English as their first language so I had to fight through foreign accents and broken sentences to figure out what the problem is but once again all everyone says is “that’s just our policy. You can call back and speak to a supervisor the next business day” and it’s Thursday which I’m pretty sure is a business day. They needed me to have a flight leaving the air port in order to rent a car which also doesn’t make sense because I can return the car to the air port without having to get on a plane to go anywhere.

What does my flight have to do with my car rental? Apparently you can’t rent a car from the airport if you don’t have a round trip ticket which also doesn’t make sense... Their “policies” are so scandalous and this company is more concerned about getting the most money out of people. I will never again in life use avis. They’re scammers. They hide their financial predator methods in the fine print and then when you just give them the benefit of the doubt that it’s going to be a fair business and find out that they’re actually faulty then they hit you with “that’s just our policy” which basically means the same as “oh well lol gotcha!”

I encourage everyone to use the Turo App. It’s way better than any rental service. Especially avis. I really hope avis goes under or some other company buys them because they’re trash and their “policies” are set in place to profit the company and not to take care of the customer which is absolutely disgusting... I really hope the worst for this company. They made my trip so difficult and now I’m short $150 that I could’ve used for something else that I now have to investigate like Scooby Doo to see if they’ll even have the ethics to give me my money back... DO NOT USE AVIS. If avis was the last rental company on earth I would buy a bike or start jogging.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I returned a car I had rented 2 days early and expected a refund for the balance but when I checked my receipt it said $79 of the total charge was NON-REFUNDABLE. It turns out they do this if you book through their 1-800 call center but not if you go to the actual location you will pick up your car at. Their representative explained this to me on the phone, that this is company policy. Otherwise service and car quality are good. I'll just remember to keep doing business only with the guys at the location I usually go to because they know me, always give me a good rate and refund my credit card when I bring the car back before the due date.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information