2.42/5

1368 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

The car rental is great. Love the size of cars you can choose from. They have great gas mileage. Overall it is a great company. I would tell a friend about it so they can enjoy the rates that the company has to offer.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've been renting from Avis for more than 35 years both for business and personal rentals. I like the cars that I've rented over the years and the service has been spot on for the most part. They've become a bit too pricey over the past 5 or 6 years which explains why I've not rented as often as I could have. Still, compared to Hertz this is the go to company for me.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I usually use Hertz but this time I used Avis because I do not currently have a credit card, just a debit card. I was in Lafayette, LA. It was a seamless experience. Very nice lady at the counter & helpful. I refrained from 5 stars because it was impossible to see the condition of the car well enough. It was a dark parking lot, not sufficient lighting. But overall satisfied.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Everyone was very helpful & friendly at the Philly airport. The selection was very minimal but I didn't need anything extravagant, ended up with a Chevy Cruze & it was very clean & no damage on it. I definitely would rent again from Avis.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had to rent a vehicle from Avis Rent a Car Systems at 1101 East Roosevelt Rd., Lombard, Il 60148, (630) 620-9113. I rented two different vehicles during a two week span. Agency Operator, **, was extremely helpful, courteous, and worked with me to afford me the best possible prices. ** and his team were very accommodating and I recommend their services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced with a rental car company. I reserved a car on the Avis website under my husband's name (since we have a newborn and figured he would be filling out the paperwork) and the website accepted my credit card and charged for the full amount of the rental. We get to the airport to pick up the vehicle and because the reservation is in my husband's name and the card is in my name, they refuse to rent him the car... Even with me there giving consent and showing my ID. I ask to be added to the reservation since they say that spouses automatically are covered to drive the vehicle. Seems logical to change the reservation into my name as primary and have him on as a secondary but Avis refused to do this.

The lady at the counter called customer service and after speaking with numerous representatives to include a supervisor, Avis refused to change the name in the computer to my name. I then stood in front of the counter on my phone to place a new reservation and couldn't reserve it because Avis charged MY card for my husband's reservation. This left us with no money left on my card to get a car and the supervisor informed me that I wouldn't receive a refund for the first reservation if we didn't follow through with the second reservation. I asked to pay with my debit card and they don't take them. So after hijacking the money on my card, making it impossible to follow through with the second reservation, we are left without a vehicle and my husband missed a speaking engagement that cannot be rescheduled.

Now I have to fight for the money Avis stole from me because if this is the policy and it cannot be modified with a simple few clicks in the computer, then their website never should have accepted the credit card in my name under my husband's reservation. You can bet that I will be getting a full refund for Avis fraudulently using my card when they knew that they wouldn't give us the car. This is absolutely ridiculous to be treated this way.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Don't rent from Avis! I rented a car from them a few weeks ago in Philly. While driving on the hwy a piece of the plastic trim blew off and now they're trying to charge me. Don't they have an obligation to rent roadworthy vehicles? And maybe the moral compass and good sense to stand by their product? There are many choices out there, I've been an Avis Preferred member for years...but am done! I suggest you avoid these guys where possible.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My plane was canceled so I rented a car at Avis in Washington DC. After waiting in line for 45 minutes to get the car I got a Kia (junk). Only to find out that it did not have an EZpass that I had expressly requested. The garage attendant said I could go back to the counter to get another car (another 45 minutes no thanks). While on my way Finally I hit a pothole which flattened the front tire. I was 8 miles from the nearest city (Salamanca NY).

I called a road service company that came out only to find out that the KIA did not have a spare tire. He had to go back and get a flat bed to tow me (now 2:00 AM). He returned at 2:45 and loaded the car. While waiting 3 other cars hit the same pot hole and blew out tires. He changed those tires at a charge of $75.00 each while I waited. Now it’s 3:30AM. We were on the road finally. Got home at 5:00AM. He unloaded the car at my home and left The charge $468.00.

The next morning I called Avis to repair the flat. Instead they sent a flatbed that took the car leaving me with no way to return to the Buffalo airport to retrieve my car that I had parked there a week earlier. Worst car rental company and Worst customer service ever. Junk cars, who would rent a car without a spare tire? I’m 68 and ended up in the middle of the night stranded miles from anywhere with no spare tire. ** you Avis!

Original review: May 11, 2019

We rented a car in Australia from Alice Springs to Uluru which is a 468 km drive. The beginning was good as we got a free upgrade as we had been waiting awhile. After that we drove over two days to our location driving may 10-15 km extra in total of about 480 km. Went to drop the car off at Uluru where there were no people on a Tuesday at any car rental stations. We had to just leave the keys, the staff at airport says they aren’t ever hear you can call them from google?! Anyways I received my bill and was charged for 761km if driving so 280 km over. If you look at the map, that is physically impossible even if we hadn’t slept.

I argued on the phone and over email over countless hours with no luck, mostly I think because I’m from the US. I had my credit card dispute it as I was over it. Then my parents who I don’t even speak to recurved a letter threatening to send it to collections! Of course the letter was already outdated from the date it left Australia to arrival to the US so extra charges had accrued. Took a final attempt to fix the situation then finally paid it so my perfect credit score wasn’t screwed. Never ever rent from them. Even if I had taken odometer pictures they said there was no way to prove it was the vehicle! WTH!

Original review: May 10, 2019

They made us wait in the queue for 100 minutes. A/C was not working. When I returned the car, they charged me for smoke odor. Bunch of liars in this company (I am a non-smoker). Also, they charged me for fuel when the gas tank was returned full. Another thing is dust at the driver's leg rest area (I am not sure, if we need to vacuum, just before the Budget returning center). All I understood is, they have our CC details and are keep on charging. I am going to file a case on these guys. Bunch of craps here. Please DO NOT rent a car with Budget. Thanks.

Original review: May 4, 2019

They had one person at the counter and about five customers waiting to pick up their car. The sales counter offered an upgrade with a GPS which we accepted, we needed the GPS. Our car was not what the salesperson had promised and it did not have a working GPS system. When we returned to the pick up counter to ask for the car we were promised, with a working GPS system, they offered another car. The new car was again not what we paid for, dirty and with a strong cigarette smell. At this time, our travel timeline was very delayed. We told them we will keep the first car, although not what we paid for and to just give us the wifi box so we can access our phone's GPS. They said we needed to go back to the sales counter to get the wifi pack. The rental counter had a long line with only one person working it. She said she did not have the wifi and did not know why they sent us back there.

We returned to the pick up counter and asked for our money back. They refused to return part of the money with some crazy excuse that it was the app's money and not related to them. They offered a third car which we ended up taking, by that time we had been there at least two hours. While at the rental counter trying to get the wifi, we heard the employee offer cars that we knew were not available (information we gained while at the pick up counter waiting for hours).

Their style is to sale based on deceit and trickery. They take advantage of travelers, who are usually tired and in a difficult situation. They always treated us as if they were doing us a favor and talked to each other about us as if we were unreasonable for asking to receive what we paid for, their attitude was rude, unprofessional and I would give them less than zero stars. There was another customer at the pick up counter who had been there even before us and was screaming from frustration. It was obvious they had offered him what they did not have and were trying to play games with him.

I wrote to Avis about our experience and they basically answered that they were sorry I felt that way and offered a $30 certificate to use on the next Avis rental. Therefore, they know they operate under the culture of deceiving customers and taking advantage of travelers. They are aware of their strategy. I do not wish to use Avis again, not even if it was free. My intention in writing this review (and writing to Avis) is that it does not happen to anyone else. Do not be tricked by this company.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I am an avid traveller and have rented vehicles with Avis several times. Your agent at Norman Manley airport insisted that I must email her proof that my credit card company covers collision insurance. Having emailed her the necessary documents, she rudely shouted that she cannot open her email and check any attachments that it is time consuming, handed me a phone to contact the bank so that she can have confirmation of same. I headed over next door to Budget car rentals who understood how credit card works and the many benefits offered, which she then verified by calling the bank herself, I was able to rent a vehicle at Budget without any issues whatsoever. Disappointing service, very, very disappointed.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I flew from Qingdao, China to Spokane, Washington. After traveling for more than 24 hours, I arrive to pick up my prepaid rental car. They refuse to take my company card for the deposit. They refuse to take my personal Chinese card for the deposit because Chinese cards don't have a name on them. I hadn't used my American debit card for quite some time and it is a Sunday, so I can't go to a credit union to access shared branching.

So, I take a taxi to my hotel after they tell me there is nothing they can do for me regarding the deposit. The following day, I go to the bank, deposit money into my American account for the deposit and return to the airport to pick up the vehicle. Then, they tell me that because my driver's license is Canadian and my debit card is American, they cannot rent to me even though I am a dual citizen and show them both my American and Canadian passports. They give me the run around for getting the refund, refuse to cover my taxi costs and wasted more than half a day of my time just over the deposit for a prepaid car. The next leg of the trip was in Eugene where we had gone through Hertz for the rental and had zero problems with a Canadian license and an American debit card. Avis customer support was terrible and they are just in general a bad company. Go with Hertz every time if you want a positive experience.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Rented car from AVIS (via Priceline) at DTW airport for 1 day on April 22, 2019. Returned it a couple hours early after topping off gas, having only used 2.5 gallons. Specifically asked attendant in return lot if he'd like to see proof of gas purchase so as NOT to incur automatic fuel charge for low-mileage rentals (this happened once before, so we knew to ask). The guy said 'no'. Sure enough, we were charged $19.20 for gas.

I called, just like the time before, spoke to a rep. who concurred that, while it would make sense to show the receipt to the attendant at the time of return, that is not their policy. It is up to the renter to catch the charge when it hits your credit card, call them, wait, wait and wait some more, and then you have to supply them with details from your gas purchase receipt as proof you paid for gas before returning. *SAVE YOUR GAS RECEIPT! *SET FUTURE ALARM/TASK TO CHECK YOUR CC FOR EXTRA CHARGE. Car rental agencies hope you will forget to do this, thus it's extra $ in their pockets at your time and expense. They could very easily take care of this at the point of return, but then where's the profit in that???

Original review: April 28, 2019

So it's been over a week since I reported this brake malfunction and they said they were going to take care of me. I haven't heard back from anyone and this car is very dangerous. At this point I don't know what to do! I will go back to NATIONAL. Way better!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Rented a vehicle for one day and prepaid... I extended the rental and was informed during the extension process my total would be $535. I agreed. Went to turn in my rental hours before it's due only to be charged over 1200$. I have called numerous times and spoke with several ** ride people and no one is able to explain. Worse customer services and Avis is straight con artist. Sad to say but my company does about 150000.00$ worth of business with them yearly and I have had such a bad rental experience. I have convinced my company owner to switch to Enterprise from here on out.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was the only person in line at JFK to rent a car and it took me approximately 40 minutes to get a car. The system kept crashing so the man said. He tried to up charge me and argued with me concerning the car that I needed for my son and I and kept saying they did not have a car in the type that I wanted (economy size). Half way through the transaction the guy gets up and goes on break so some lady decides to take over and finish the transaction. Nothing was discussed with me and the whole thing was entered the way including the wrong return date. That was another problem seeing I was returning to another airport. They charged me for a navigation system that I did not need or want and it was stated that I needed it to get through the tolls. They also added insurances and other items that I did not request.

When I saw the total I said, "That is wrong," and the lady said, "No no no. We are only charging you for the car, the rest is a deposit that will be reimbursed on the card". By this point I left and I said, "it better." The car was returned at the time I stated on the day I stated to Logan Airport in Boston. When I checked it in I was told to walk across to the preferred counter to finish up when I usually just checkout when I arrive. I did request a refund on the navigation that sat in the glove box that again, was never used. When I brought the ticket to close out the young man at the counter asked where the equipment that I was returning was and I said it was in the glove box, the man checking me in did not say I needed to bring it to him. He said rather rudely, "Go get it." I said, "Excuse me, I need for you to go get the equipment." I said I have no idea where the car was besides it was all the way across the airport.

He casually strolled across the airport and brought it back. Five to ten minutes later he comes back and he for some reason cannot close my ticket out. He has to ask the manager, Phillip to do so. Now Phillip, he is a piece of work. They tried for ten minutes to close my ticket out and they cannot figure it out what was wrong. He finally figured out that the day that is returned is a day late and one extra hour. So he says, "You are a day late." And I said, "No sir I am not." "Yes you are. It says the 19th and it is the 20th." I told him I said Saturday and they punched in the date so that was not my fault. I said, "I will show you my plane ticket that was purchased two months ago that has not been changed. That it was always the 20th". He said, "I get people like you all the time and I have to charge you what you signed and I cannot change the ticket. If it was a reserved ticket I could but I can't change yours."

Now that is funny, he is able to credit the ticket for the Navigation that I was stuck with, but can't correct the ticket. Nope he says. So not only did he not change the ticket, he added two full days plus one hour and did not credit my charge for the nav system. So all and all they overcharged me 417.96. And good old Phillip says is, "take it up with customer service."

I called customer service and after being on hold for ten minutes I talked to an individual that was disgusted at the way I was treated, or so it seemed. I talked to him for 38 minutes, which I was on hold for a lot of that time period. He said at the beginning of the conversation and throughout I will be able to take care of this for you. After the last time to be put on hold he came back and said, "Sorry, my supervisor has to take care of this and guess what, he is busy." Great, does not surprise me. This all went down on Saturday and here it is Monday afternoon and still have not heard from a supervisor. See, the worst rental story of my life.

Original review: April 21, 2019

They give me a car all wet, in this way, they could hide dents or damages in the cars and when you return it, they will make you pay for it. They even make you sign before they give you the key or inspect the car! Patrick the owner is the worst, he treated me like garbage when I told him about the damage, he said my insurance will pay for it! He is not careful enough when someone returns the car in bad shape and then look for someone to make them pay for the damages. Is not acceptable. Avis shouldn't give the name to owner Patrick in particular. Patrick (the owner) has a cretin way of treating the client. The worst experience of renting AVIS!

Original review: April 20, 2019

I prepaid for a van in Burbank CA for 8 days. My flight got canceled so I had to fly into LA. When I called to see if they could help me, they wanted to charge me an additional $700 to change the to pick up at LA drop off at Burbank. I decided to just get a one day rental at LA and pick up the Van at Burbank since it would only cost me $100. I called to tell them I wouldn’t be there until the next morning and they wouldn’t hold it and they would be closed by the time I got there. I mean this car was already paid for, not just a regular reservation. So what was the big deal. All they would do is put me in an SUV and charge me $40 more. I didn’t want to lose all my money so I took it but I will never give them my business again.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Somewhat puzzled when made reservation with Avis was directed to another car rental to pick up the vehicle assigned to me. The car was acceptable, again when returning the car I returned it to Avis. My wife is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. The attendant told us to remain in the car as he would drive us to the terminal. This was much appreciated.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Be warned, many Avis locations are franchises. Avis itself will not stand by them. In short, you are left to deal with Shady Motors Incorporated on your own! I rented a car from an "Avis" location only to find out a month and a half later that it was a franchise. How did I find out you ask? It's simple. After returning the car full, this company billed me a month and a half later for $42. My Avis paperwork says the car was returned full clear as day. After countless hours on the phone, writing emails, and submitting paperwork, they tell me that I'm on my own. After searching this particular shady franchise, you find that they are known for this very scam. Avis just doesn't care to admit one of their children is stealing from their customers. After many years using Avis, I am done. Good luck!

Original review: April 14, 2019

A friend recommended them to me because your spouse is automatically covered at no extra cost. Aside from that perk and their handy mobile app, this is one of the worst companies I’ve ever dealt with. I became Avis Preferred about 7 years ago when I began traveling back and forth from NY to Fla after my grandchildren were born. In that time I’ve gotten filthy, dented and even cars that were not road worthy due to bald tires and frayed windshield wipers.

I should have stopped using them a long time ago but by then I had accumulated points and took what seemed to be the easy path, until this last rental. My trip was extended a day and when I changed my flight I forgot to change the car return date. Okay, my bad. I expected to pay an extra day and perhaps a penalty fee. So they did charge me extra. $700 EXTRA!! I called to complain and they are sticking to their guns, no one will help me with this outrageous fee! How do they stay in business? $700 could have been the down payment on the dented Sentra I rented. I will post complaints on every site I can find to warn people. They need to go out of business. $700 for an extra day is almost criminal.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Avis tried to get us to take a wrecked Jeep that had been in a fender bender. Not great customer service. Also, it took a long time to get a fully functioning car to rent. This Avis was at the airport where they have you over a barrel.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My Rental agreement through Priceline (Confirmation # **) was for 4 days @ 35.70 = 172.50. We were about 10 minutes late before the Athens GA location had closed and nowhere to drop off the keys securely, so I kept the car one more day. I got a call from the agent in the morning and explained this and she told me I'd be charged 1 additional day. We arrived and turned in the car. The same agent that called asked if I needed a receipt. Thinking one additional day (35.70) was going to added to my total I expected see a charge between $210-$220, not $297. So I went back to obtain a receipt to discover the daily rate was different, and I was charged for 2 extra days not 1 like I was told.

I believe the rate I should be charged is my reservation rate of 35.70 (which includes taxes and fees). It should only be for 5 days not 6 like the agent told me I'd be charged for so that my total bill should be around the $200, not $300. Avis Response - after thanking me for choosing Avis and reviewing my case... “However, we show that your rental was for 4 days and you used it for 5 day and 1 hour. Based on our research, you were provided with the correct rate and no adjustment is due.” My Frustration is - How is this correct?

Original review: April 10, 2019

They stole 200 Euros from me, after I returned the car in same condition I took it and under the full insurance, they said on the airport in Punta Arenas that all is ok. As soon as I left for Europe they sent me an email saying that I made damage of 200E, without even saying what damage and they just took 200 euros from my deposit! Pure robbery!

They stole 200 Euros from me, after i returned the car in same condition I took it and under the full insurance, they said on the airport in Punta Arenas that all is ok.

As soon as I left for Europe they sent me en email saying that I made damage of 200E, without even saying what damage and they just took 200 euros from my deposit!

pure robber

Original review: April 9, 2019

I know that Avis is everywhere, and that they are comparative, and have lots of ads, pretty ads too, with attractive red and white colors that catch my eyes. But, I have found them to say one things, and deliver another, and to say they have a car when they do not, at least in the neighborhood Avis where I shopped, and the European Avis counter I went to.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Avis said my medium rental car size was really a small car. Then up charged me for a large car..since no medium car was available. Misrepresented the size of the car!!! We feel as tho we were up sold to another car size.

Original review: April 8, 2019

In January 2019, I rented a car for one week at the price of $220.00 and some change. When I received my credit card statement in the mail, they charged $1,750.00 to my credit card. I called multiple times to correct this. I got nothing but the worst customer service ever. Needless to say, I received the runaround. This is why I will never deal with this company again, and I do not recommend it to anyone. My rating of this company is below zero.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Recently I rented a 12-passenger van from Avis at Trenton, New Jersey airport. The van was prepaid. Before returning the van, I fill the tank with gas. When the van was checked in, the attendant did not asked me any questions regarding if the van was fill with gas or for a gas receipt. I got on the plane and returned home. When I checked my bank statement, I noticed $190.00 charged. I called Avis representative in Trenton, New Jersey and he said that the correction should be reflected on my bank statement by the end of the week.

When this did not happen, I contact the general office and explained the situation to a customer service representative. He asked for me to place everything in writing and include a snapshot of my bank statement forwarding this by email. I did so. They rejected proof of purchase because in the bank statement, they wanted it to reflect the amount of gas needed to fill the bank and the time the gas was purchased. I told the representative, "I do not live in New Jersey. The name of the gas station and the amount paid are displayed on my statement. The name of the gas station is less than five minutes from the airport. The date in which I went to the gas station was the same date of my flight."

With all this information, three different representatives rejected to refund $190.00 in which was charge to my card for not filling the van with gas. Their ignorance and refusal to consider information presented to them is beyond my reasoning. Finally, I was connected to a manager who listened and reversed my charges. The time spends to resolve this situation was several hours. I would never recommend using Avis as a car rental until their employee learn how to service their customers.

Original review: April 5, 2019

If there was a zero star option, I would give them no stars. They have terrible customer service, and they literally steal your money by charging your credit card for fraudulent charges. A few days after returning the vehicle we rented, I noticed a $374.50 charge on my credit card from Avis that was not part of the final receipt we were given when we returned the vehicle. I called the general customer service number, and they explained it was a charge for losing the key. I explained that the key was returned with the vehicle -- at no point in time did we lose the key or need a replacement key while we had the rental. The same key they gave us when we first picked up the car is the same key we returned with the car.

The customer service representative opened a case for me and wrote a note of my explanation. I was told to call back within 3-5 business days. Upon my follow-up call, I was told that I would have to take it up with the Miami Rental Center directly. If that was the case, why wasn't I told that the first time I called? Since then, it has been 2 weeks of calling the Miami Rental Center and only getting a voicemail for customer service/billing. I have left 2 weeks worth of voicemails and not a single person has called me back from the Miami Rental Center. Intermittently, I also called the general customer service number to follow-up and re-explain that the key was returned with the vehicle, and to report that I could not get in touch with a person at the Miami Rental Center.

Each customer service representative I spoke with at the general phone number was unwilling or unable to take my claim seriously or offer me a full refund. They just kept repeating that I was being charged for losing the key, and that Avis was standing by their determination that I had not returned the key with the vehicle. How could I have driven the car back to return it if I lost the key? And/or why would I have taken the car key with me after returning it, for a car I don't own in a state I don't live in? It is asinine that they have no real protocol for dealing with a situation like this. It is just my word against theirs, and they couldn't care less about me as a customer, because they already have my money. I will never rent from Avis again, and I will be telling everyone I know to never use Avis. This is a corrupt company that steals your money.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information