1.11/5
Based on 154 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 19, 2018

1140 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I have had a terrible experience with Avis Rent a Car. They are scammers that look for any reason to charge extra and do not honor credits that they say they will issue. In September 2017, I rented a car from Avis at 2403 S Stemmons Freeway in Lewisville, Texas. I kept the car from September 5-8. The receipt erroneously says that I returned the car on ninth, so they charged me an extra $100, which is about what an extra day costs including taxes and other fees. I spoke to the manager for that location, and he agreed that I should have a credit.

I also called the number to headquarters in Parsippany, New Jersey. I have had at least two people from there say that I should have a credit. One clearly said that they had issued me a credit, which I can prove. Avis never issues credits. They also do not update the receipt and go by the faulty one for documentation. I am extremely disgusted. I do not plan on using them again. That was my first time and likely my last.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am an Avis Preferred customer. I had a reservation to pick up a car at DFW on 4/17/18. I landed at 11:22 a.m. They did not have my name listed on the preferred board so I stood in a line for 1 hour to get a car. When I was assigned a car in the Avis Preferred lot, I was given a filthy Hyundai Accent, (see pictures). Every other car was washed but mine. I went back into the terminal to ask for a different car which I did get. When I finally got to the exit gate with my leading packet etc. I was stopped once more to show my picture ID??? The attendant just said, "What management wants, we have to do"? I got out at 1:08 with a rental car. I usually use National Emerald Aisle as I am Executive status and can be out in 15 minutes with a clean car!!! Unfortunately, they were sold out for 4/17/18.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had booked a car online and paid for it for Wednesday the 18th about a half hour ago for a job I needed to get to. I just got a call that the job is cancelled, so therefore, I no longer need the vehicle. I just TRIED contacting AVIS by phone to CANCEL the reservation I made a half hour ago for $24.98 online. They told me I would be charged a $50 cancellation fee. I asked "even though it was a half hour ago they can't make an exception?" And the answer was "no." Then I said "well just leave the reservation for $24.98 and I just won't pick it up since it's cheaper than cancelling for $50." I was then informed I would "be charged $150 no show fee if I didn't come and pick it up." WOW...AWESOME customer service! Never will I even get a rate quote or CONSIDER getting a vehicle from them. As a business owner myself...that is just horrible!

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I returned my car I was advised that I would be charged 350 pounds for my 10-day hire, but was charged over 550 pounds. I have called Billings Dept several times, they don't answer the phone. I have no idea what the 200 pounds is for, and now I concerned about further charges to my CC.

Original review: April 7, 2018

A few weeks after my wife rented a car from the George Bush Intercontinental Airport Avis location in March, we received a letter notifying us that Avis had detected ‘Smoke Odor’ in the car she returned and that Avis would charge her a $250 fine. She is not a smoker, has never smoked, and neither does anyone else in our family and household. Furthermore, the reason why she was in Houston, Texas, was to visit the MD Andersen Cancer center for treatment-- she has an aggressive form of gallbladder cancer, and so the very idea that we would expose her to smoking or second-hand smoke is completely out of the question.

In addition to a completely false claim that the car had ‘Smoke Odor’, we were not only charged the $250 fee as the letter stated. Avis actually charged her three times, for the sum of $750. Avis has made false claims about the condition that the car was returned in, and furthermore, made the burden even greater by charging three times what they had stated they would. We are disputing this claim, and are greatly inconvenienced by the actions of George Bush Intercontinental Palmetto Pines Avis.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: April 6, 2018

Let me start by saying, very unprofessional. Picked up my car from Bullhead Az. Drove it to hotel noticed it was very loud, felt like front end was gonna fall off. Very unsafe feeling especially when traveling across state with grandkids. I got back in car. Drove it back to Avis and no one was there. Called first thing in morning and yes had to pay for another night in hotel, Avis said that they had no more cars to switch out at this time to hang tight and they would call. Waited all day for a call.

Drove back over there and told me they were calling me all day with a wrong #. Around 5:30 / 6 pm finally got the car but now have to pay for another night in hotel cause I don't drive at night. Next day made it home went to clean out car and found a bullet lodged in the crack of the back seat. Called Avis got the runaround for about 2 hrs once again got nowhere. Now it's dark again and Avis closed. Called back this morning to complaint department and basically got called a liar... Please don't rent from Avis they are unprofessional... And crooks... And they should be put out of business. Just saying.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Avis charged us a lot of extra fees without our knowledge. We want to make everyone aware of how this company operates to avoid further corruption and fraudulent activity to honest and trusting people. We wish we had read the reviews first. Avis charged us the extra insurance we initially declined through Priceline when we booked for the week online. We picked our vehicle type and read through all fees and paid in full approximately $250. We had to keep the car one extra day, called Avis, they said no problem. We returned the car at TIA, they signed off on it, we thought all was well and they would charge us for one day of car rental as they had stated. The day after we returned from Vacation, we had an additional charge on our credit card of approximately $400.00.

We thought this had to be an error since we had already paid for the full week in advance. The rep told my husband they had to charge us for extra insurance even though we declined as that was their policy. They said they had to charge us for a vehicle upgrade even though we did not even know they upgraded our vehicle; we asked for a standard, and we paid for a standard - we never agreed to the upgrade price and we explained it would not be our fault if they upgraded because they had no standard vehicles left. They either charged us twice for the entire week plus additional fees we were unaware of, or they charged us close to $400 for one extra day of car rental with extra fees we still do not understand.

In either case, we now know they are corrupt and this is a game they play to cheat people on a regular basis. I am not sure how they continue to get away with this fraudulent activity in the United States, but I am hoping we can all make it stop by speaking up. Please if this happens to you, report it to BBB, Consumer Protection Agency, District Attorney, as many people as you can. We have never had this experience with any other car rental agency. Again, I really wish I had read the reviews first... also, Priceline should really reconsider doing business with these frauds so it does not affect their quality of business in the future. Thanks for listening, hope it helps you.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I processed an online reservation. Everything looked good. Unfortunately my plans changed that were outside of my control. When I canceled my reservation Avis charged my card a $50 cancellation fee. Is it the policy of Avis to charge customers a fee for NOT using their service? I gave plenty of notice and I did not use any of their services. One thing's for sure. I WILL NEVER USE AVIS CAR RENTAL AGAIN!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I prepaid 491.40 euros for a Chrysler minivan but when I arrived at the Avis counter at Jacksonville airport, I was told no minivans are available. They gave me a Chevrolet Cruze instead, with a total cost of 283.15 dollars. They promised the price difference would be automatically refunded to me, but so far this has not happened. I hate it when a previously good company goes bad.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We had Avis trying to withdraw close to $4000 from our bank account without any notification, whether verbal, email or in writing. The way we found out was that they were unable to withdraw the amount, and I received a voice mail indicating that they were trying to do so but couldn't. Astoundingly, the voice mail did not even indicate why they were withdrawing this amount. We had to call to find out it was for a windscreen replacement. We have no idea why the windscreen needed replacement as we were not in an accident and had not noticed any damage. Interestingly enough, we had this exact same thing occur a few years ago with a car rental, which we successfully contested. So the way this was handled and our previous experience has solidified our view that this is a rental car scam. (Try google search it).

After further calls and complaints, we finally after 2 weeks get an official letter indicating 'cracked WSC' with not a single additional line providing further details or proof. It also asks to fill an accident form, which of course, never occurred in the first place. Further calls and it appears they backtrack, because "windscreen replacement" has all of a sudden been changed to "fixing a small crack", and instead of withdrawing close to 4000, it is now "only" $260. Finally after requesting it, photo proof is provided of a crack on a window without being able to see what car it is on, no identification, plus a photo date which is 2 days after we returned the car. Needless to say, the whole process is fishy and scammy, and so I would be very careful renting a car with Avis. The mismanagement, lack of professional conduct and absence of transparency in this whole process is just astounding.

To make things worse, the back door had an electric fault and would not lock. We had to get a service company to check on it and manually shut it after confirming the electric fault. On bringing back the car, we tried to get someone to check our car regarding the fault, but the person on duty refused and said we had to go to the office to report it, which we did it. We were then told the manager would call us "first thing in the morning" the day after regarding the refund. When I first got the Avis voice message days later, I thought it was about the refund! Weeks later we still haven't heard anything about this refund. Instead of a refund, they are trying to extract money from us. Needless to say we will never be renting Avis again, and will surely let all our friends and relatives know not to rent from Avis either.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I hired a car from Avis South Africa during my trip on 12 Jan 2018 and have returned the car as per due terms and conditions. They used my international debit card to block the deposit amount, card being a debit card the amount was debited and not blocked. I have been corresponding with Avis.za since Jan 21 for return of excess after the final billing receipt ** was received. However instead of doing anything they have the same answer, "Contact your bank as the amount was on hold," even after having given them the transaction fund transfer details they haven't done anything. It's more than three months now. They are big cheats.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I declined the extra insurance but it was added anyway without my knowledge. I also declined the toll pass and went through the cash lanes and paid my tolls but this too was added to my bill. Dishonest personnel at Chicago Midway rental. Will never use Avis again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I rented a car in Long Beach, CA from Avis. When I attempted to return my car the location was closed. I called and was sent overseas to a call center. Based on the accent it was in the Philippines. A guy named Noah seemed to care more about telling me what to do because when I tried to give him my confirmation number he repeatedly attempted to talk over me then said "Oh my goodness" then hung up on me. When I called back I got the same guy and he hung up on me again. So instead of leaving the car at the curb I took it to long beach airport a few miles away. I tried one more time to contact customer service. This time I didn't get hung up on. But now the guy told me there was gonna be a drop off charge. This is their scam. If you have an early flight don't use Avis/Budget. And don't use Long Beach airport because they gouge you on rental cars. Down the street is cheaper but then they get you. Consumer beware of this company.

Original review: March 21, 2018

When almost every other company gives you unlimited mileage, AVIS charges you $.25 per mile. Plus they put that on the contract in the middle of every other charge so you overlook it. Also the customer service representatives fail to mention this important information to you. I had a detail conversation with the rep talking about how far I was driving and still no mention of the charge per mile. I will never rent a vehicle from AVIS again and hope others take this message in consideration before using this company.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I thought I was getting a good deal by going to AVIS...but no! I originally reserved a 7 seater standard SUV for a week then come to find out that I had to change it to a 5 seater standard SUV. I had already prepaid $393.00 and did a modification about 3 days prior to picking up with no problem online. The dollar amount change everything down to $287 so I'm thinking good. So I get to the counter at Wal-Mart AVIS. The guy sees that I had already prepaid & then I changed my SUV for smaller. He states that I will receive a credit back on my card once I returned the car because my amount was smaller. Okay no problem. Sign the papers & went on my way. I realized after 4 days of returning the vehicle my money back is not on my card.

The guy tells me, "The new policy was put in about 2 months ago. We don't do reimburse" and I'll have to call customer service line. Okay, called this guy. Tells me after putting me on hold 3 times I will not get my money back because I made a modification on my Prepaid. What? That does not make any sense. Then he had the nerve to tell me well I signed the papers at the counter. Then I told him, "Maybe you should get coworkers NOT to tell people they getting their money back!" NEVER AGAIN WILL be renting from this company. Also I had to call to let them know I was gonna be a couple of hours returning the car due to accidents on 35 Interstate & construction, the lady was pretty rude and said well we're gonna charge you another day anyway.

Original review: March 15, 2018

When I reserved the car online, I prepaid the entire amount that was due. I was asked about any additional options I would like to purchase and I declined them all. The total was $127.94. When I got to the check-in counter at the Fort Myers Airport, I was told that the optional insurance coverage was not optional and that I would have to pay extra to have it. I told the agent that I do not want it and that I had car insurance that covers rentals and a credit card that also covers rental cars, but was still told that I didn't have a choice. So after I returned the rental car, I was indeed charged an extra $48.39 for insurance coverage that I denied while registering for the rental car and also told the agent that I did not want or need. I will not be using Avis again in the future and will be certain to leave my review wherever I can so others do not get bullied into initialing on a contract like I was.

Not only was I basically forced to agree to pay an extra $48 for insurance coverage that I denied previously, I was also told that I signed up for a 2-door Smart Car and that I would have to pay an extra $15 a day for an upgrade to an economy car. I declined that and still received a 4-door economy car (which is what I registered for online when I prepaid). This Avis branch location was completely unprofessional and deceitful.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I guess because I prepaid, when I went in to modify my rental and turn it in a day early (within FIVE minutes of making the original reservation), it didn't change the price. If I'm turning in a car a day early, it should knock my price down no matter what. This is my first time using AVIS and I won't be using them again. Also, since I prepaid, there is a cancellation fee. Sad because I talked to other companies that were giving a better price and I could modify it when I want to. I tried to leave this in the feedback section on the AVIS website, but of course, it won't let you scroll down and submit it.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I arrived at the Avis location at the Tampa airport after my day of travel. I handed the agent my confirmation paperwork. He immediately started his whole sales pitch (which I get you have to do – I am in that business as well). The gentleman behind the counter talked fairly fast and quiet. I had just gotten off a flight and my ears hadn’t popped yet so I was having a tough time hearing him. He asked if I wanted the Basic or Premium something or another. I was like, "No no no. Just basic. What I paid for," and pointed to the confirmation paperwork. He said, “Ok the basic.” He offered me an upgrade from a Jeep Liberty to a Ford Edge for $15. I said yes – for $15 that is not a bad upgrade. He printed out the contract and I noticed the total charges were close to $300. He circled about 10 different spots on the agreement and told me to initial each one without explaining anything.

I asked him about the charges – he said it was for the basic whatever it was. I told him I didn’t want anything extra other than the $15 upgrade. He said ok. Went back to his computer, said some more words to me and printed out another agreement. Circled the 10 or so spots again and hurried me to initial them. I regrettably did as I was tired after a long day of traveling, my ears were bothering me, and there was quite a line forming behind me. There was no talk of charging my credit card for the deposit or for any fees (if any) when I got back. I knew there would be a charge of a deposit and I am not arguing that at all – I just think it should have been explained.

So I went and grabbed the rental car and went about my vacation. Everything was fine, no problems, no accidents or incidents, I filled it up with gas and brought it back to drop it off. I arrived at the airport later than I had hoped so I was in a rush to get the car checked in and catch the sky trains to the terminal and another train to my gate (no fault of your own). The check in process was quick but very impersonal. I parked where I was directed. The lady scanned the barcode as I gathered all my personal items. The second I stepped out of the car she hopped in, checked the fuel (I am guessing), printed a receipt out and handed it to me and walked away. As I was in a hurry already I looked at the bottom of the receipt and showed Total due was $0, I tucked it in my bag and went to check into my flight.

Once I arrived home and looked at my credit card billing online I noticed the deposit was already credited back to my card but there was a charge for $141.43. I called your customer service number and got ahold of Steven in San Diego, CA. I explained my situation and he seemed very understanding of my problem – but I know that is just his training. He offered me 25% off my optional products which I declined and asked to speak to a supervisor. He then offered me 50% off my option products which I declined. I verbally agreed with the sales agent at the Tampa Airport to a $15 upcharge to the Ford Edge and for no coverages. I told Steven that is what I would like. He declined. Then I told Steven I would split it in half. Get back half of the $141.43. He said he couldn’t do that and he would transfer me to a supervisor.

He placed me on hold for 2-3 minutes, came back on the line and said, “All the supervisors are busy but I have placed you on a list to get a call back within 24-48 hours. Is that ok?” I said, “No. That is not ok.” He said, “Would you like me to try the supervisors again.” I said, “Well Yeah.” He placed me on hold for 2-3 minutes again and came back and said, “All the supervisors are busy still. I have placed you on a list and you will get a call within 24-48 hours.” At this point I admit it, I lost my temper and for that I apologize.

I am in the customer service business as well and if I mess up or deceive anyone the way I felt I was deceived, I take care of them. Your vehicle is safe and sound back at the Tampa Airport unharmed and full of gas. So what am I asking for. I am asking for the difference between what I was charged – 141.43 and what I verbally agreed to with the salesman at Tampa - $15. That amount is $126.43. Is that a lot for Avis – no it’s not. Is that a lot for me – absolutely it is otherwise I wouldn’t be spending my time writing this e-mail. If you can show me that you can take care of this issue, I will be an Avis customer for life. I hope this is as important to you as it is to me. Your motto is “We Try Harder” and I am left thinking to myself what you try harder at – taking care of your customers or using sly sales tactics to get people to contractually agree to things they don’t want to. We will see how they respond.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have never had the runaround this bad in my life from a company. They took money off my card that they should have never even took off to begin with and now it's been two weeks and I still don't have my money back on my card yet. They have gave me the runaround for two weeks now. Will not give me a name of the manager. Manager was SUPPOSE to call me back 3 days ago and still no call. I have spent over two hours on hold in the last two weeks and still no closer to getting my money.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I rented a vehicle for 13 days from the Dublin airport Avis. I drove the car in Ireland, then went to Belfast and took the ferry to Scotland, which I didn't realize was not allowed. While in Scotland my car was hit by a bus while I was eating in a restaurant. The ultimate charges from Avis in Ireland was over $11,000. My insurer through my credit card reimbursed me $6,000 but said the charges from Avis were too high. Avis corporate said I had to deal with Avis in Ireland. Avis in Ireland told me that because I had taken the car to Scotland they wouldn't help me. I have had 3 months of correspondence with the bus company but they also say the Avis charges are too high and make no sense so they won't help me. After all this I am out about $3,500. DON'T USE AVIS, ESPECIALLY IN IRELAND.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I work for a major airline so I decided to book a rental through our employee services. I actually typically use Avis plus the prices were a little cheaper so I prepaid through the site. My trip was from St. Louis MO to Buffalo New York. I get off the flight around 3:15 pm, go to pick up my rental and they had no cars I rent with gps so the lady tried to upgrade my rental from 120 an Altima full size to a Infiniti which had good to 400 dollars. I was very frustrated so finally she said, "Ohh," after hour of going back and forth they can rent me a GPS. So I'm still aggravated. Most cars I've ever rented come with gps but fine whatever rented the gps. And off I went.

I never drove from Buffalo to Toronto but I was told it's about 145 min drive. Ok fine. Not long at all. Put the Destination in my gps and off I went. 2 half hours go by and now I'm kinda worried because it was past 145 and just feels like I'm lost. I pull over and use my phone GPS and it says I'm now 3 hours from Toronto now after driving 2 and half hours. I couldn't believe it. If you ask why I didn't just use my phone is because at times the satellite signal goes out while driving so I wanted the GPS so I wouldn't have an issue. Didn't want to get lost. So I turned gps off and back on and put the address in again and it said the same direction. At the point it says I'm about hour out. So I didn't know if my phone was acting up or the GPS so since the GPS said I was close I kept on that route. I drove for about hour more and end up in this town called Ithica New York.

Into a Arby's I asked the employees how far am I. They said, "Man you're 2 hours from Canada. You've been going wrong way." They print me out a MapQuest and the gps took me backwards. Ok now I'm pissed. Sorry for language. It's going on 10 headache and now I'm 4 half hours out. I decide not to drive it because the GPS was still doing whatever and I didn't want to follow MapQuest at night. I had to cancel one night prepaid room in Mississauga On no refund and buy a room in Ithica New York for one night. Got up at 5 so I can get on the road early. Turned on gps. Now it says I'm 12 hours out. Ok now. I have to go to Walmart and buy a freaking gps. Not happy at all.

Make this long story short I make it to Toronto finally. So in all I missed a full night which I had plans in Toronto which was a Thursday, got lost, drove overall what 6 hours out the way so that's gas money, lost money on a prepaid room and had to buy my own room, paid for GPS at Walmart which I have two at home of my own so yesss I have three now. Aggravated and I had to stay an extra night due to missing my night on Thursday so I got charged extra 100 dollars so overall I'm not happy. All Avis did was refund my money for the gps rental. I couldn't believe this at all.

I don't want to write this. I have other things to do with my life but I hope they see this and understand we all aren't millionaire and makes 100000 dollar yearly. I work hard and I'm not rich. I travel a lot and plan out my money so Instead of doing more they give me what 70 dollars back. Horrible. Horrible. It's very sad I spend close to 500 more dollars overall than planned and expected due to these GPS they rent and that's all they could say is, "Sorry," and, "Here. 70 bucks for gps."

Original review: March 2, 2018

I don't normally write review but I have to do it on AVIS. I am a veteran and I prepaid my car rental with AVIS for two weeks prior to my trip. I called AVIS, not long after, to change the rental to one week instead of two weeks and an AVIS representative told me that AVIS would reimburse the unused portion or (half the amount) once I returned the car. When I picked up my car at the airport, another AVIS representative told me the same, that AVIS would reimburse the unused portion. After I returned the vehicle, the other AVIS told me that the reimbursement would take place in several weeks.

After three months not getting reimbursement from AVIS, I called AVIS 1-800-352-7900 to inquire the status of the reimbursement. AVIS representative stated that I should have read the fine print prior to making payment - that AVIS would not reimburse money back once the client prepaid for the reservation. If that was the issue, why the AVIS representative not telling me that AVIS would not reimburse the money when I called to change so that I can use the car for two weeks instead of one week? I suggest avoid AVIS at cost.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Albuquerque Avis didn't have the car, Toyota 4x4, we reserved, so ** clerk PROMISED us free upgrade to POS Kia Sorento with broken seat. Two weeks later, that 'free' upgrade cost us $280 MORE for a week! Called Avis - they say we're lying! No refund, no compassion! WE'LL NEVER USE PRICELINE OR AVIS AGAIN! After finally getting manager on phone to rectify this error, this vile subhuman hung up on us!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I reserved a rental car online for my daughter and myself on 2/7/18 at the Tampa airport. When we arrived at the counter I was told that we had to come back @12 for a discounted rate. Came back @ 12 and waited in line for an hour, you had 4 available agents and 3 were taken away to work a different counter for a different company with a line FULL of people. When it came to my turn I was told I would have to wait ANOTHER 45 MINS. for the car I already reserved or upgrade for another $15.00 a day. My pregnant daughter was feeling sick so I took the upgrade and was told it would be $184 for the weekend TOTAL.

Returned the car early on Sunday and I was charged $379!!! And I was told I WILL NOT BE REFUNDED ANY MONEY! ** I will NEVER use Avis or any other company associated with them for car rental again! You guys saw 2 gals by themselves and took complete advantage! SHAMEFUL! I have told family and friends NOT to use your company as well!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

On Oct. 20, 2018 I picked up a car from Avis. I was asked if I required Roadside Assistance, but since the information provided to me when I confirmed the reservation, I assumed that I would not require such a service. On the confirmation it stated that "roadside assistance covers the cost of assistance with key replacement, lockouts, tire change service fee, jump starts and emergency fuel delivery.." There was no mention of towing. On Nov. 16, 2018 I was informed that I was charged $197.50 for towing my car. The reason the car was towed is because the key fob stopped working (clearly a technical issue that is beyond the renter's responsibility). I complained about this to Avis, but my complaint was denied.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

$260 FUEL CHARGE FOR FIFTY MILES OF DRIVING! Warning to customers... I rented at Tahoe, tank was allegedly full but I found it 1/4 full. I took a picture of the fuel gauge and odometer to prove it, drove less than 50 miles, returned the car and re-photographed the fuel gauge/odometer. Despite informing the agent at the Avis counter (who reviewed the photos and was very polite) about the discrepancy, Avis still charged me $260 (yes, two hundred sixty dollars!!!) for fuel plus the $60 rental fee. Despite contacting customer relations three times, they stand by the charge. Warning!!! Avis will sting you for their mistake.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I am highly dissatisfied with this company. I am supposed to be a preferred customer with Avis and I was treated very poorly. I've been dealing with Avis a long time and I was treated poorly by each manager I talked to. They basically blamed for changes they made because they didn't have enough vehicles. Rosie at Hobby Airport in Houston, TX, Jeff ** which is her boss and Rick from customer service are lousy managers and they did not care that my reservation was changed because they didnt have any vehicles in the class I reserved. I will never deal with Avis again and I suggest anyone who does be careful because they are scammers. Avis is lousy!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I had been an Avis customer for 30 years. I reserved a full size car for trip to Ft Meyers, FL. When I got to counter guy said he could give me an SUV rather than car I reserved. I said fine but then he told me he would charge me more. Told him I didn't want to pay more. If he didn't have car I reserved, give me an equivalent or better car at same price. For 10 minutes he tried to upsell me to a more expensive car. I refused to be upsold on car or various options he was trying to sell. He asked how many people in our party and how much luggage. Told him we were 4 adults with 3 suitcases and some smaller carry-ons. He said he had a car for us and sent us to the lot 30 minutes after starting. Car was on last row of lot which took 5 minutes to walk to. We found a smaller car with very small trunk. We were in a hurry at that point and fit the 3 suitcases into trunk with other items on our laps.

I figured I would complain to Avis when I got home. I called and told customer service about my terrible experience. Woman read a script about being sorry and that someone would call me back in 3-5 days. They did not. I called a week later and was told it might take more than a week for someone to call me back. I told her to give me a supervisor. Supervisor listened to my complaint and then offered to send me a $20 coupon for my next rental. There will be no next rental with Avis. This is not the first problem I had with Avis but I am generally a loyal person and kept using Avis. No more. Customer service is off the charts terrible.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Avis Car Rental Kansas City Airport - We rented a vehicle through our Chase Visa Rewards. When we arrive the young lady at the counter decided to give us a Ford Explorer. Upon return of the vehicle they charge us $30 more per day for a total of $122.90. We did not authorize these charges and consider this "bait and switch" maneuver. The manager says there is nothing they can do about the charges as we needed to read everything before we sign. They teach their counter agents so as to make more money. We will think many times before using this vendor again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have taken Innova self drive from AVIS Chennai to go to Mahabalipuram on 16th Dec 2017. They have provided me a cab which is not up to the mark. When I asked one of their staff who has taken money from me, he answered me as though he is providing me the cab for free of cost. Later another person has come and promised that they would come to my place and replace the cab next day. None of them called and replaced it. Apart from these, they didn't refund my security deposit within 14 days which they have promised and ought to. I have called customer care 3 times and every time they used say that it would be refunded within 2 days and my deposit has not been credited.

I have called 4th time on 31st January 2018, I was in the call for 1.50 hour and then they have initiated my deposit. Not sure if I get my deposit back or not. It had been beyond a month which I need to get the deposit and didn't get. I have heard from many of other persons and colleagues that AVIS is very bad selection but I came to know it after my issue. I request all of you, please don't choose AVIS.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information