1.05/5
Based on 155 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1203 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I returned my car early, parked in the spot I was told to, I asked if my car was checked in, can I leave, can I have a receipt was told To get an E-Receipt from Avis.com, I was charged $2698 w/o Itemization.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

It is the practice of Avis to charge customer $3.95 per day for a toll transponder. We didn't want to pay the extra, so we put in our GPS to avoid toll roads. We were charged a month later on our credit card for a 50 cent toll plus $3.95 per day for four days. This was over $16 for a 50-cent toll charge. We paid 50 cents at a toll, but Avis is saying we crossed a non-cash toll. I think they will say what they want to be able to get extra money. I am glad I have other options, because Avis has lost a customer.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This the second time that I have tried to rent a car and he tried to charge me a 100 dollars deposit twice, when he swiped it the first time it went through, then when he swiped again he said it was denied both times. Now my bank is telling me they see it pending the amount for the car and the 100 dollars deposit. And when this couple came after me they didn't have enough but he helped them get a car. Really? I recommend no one to rent from Avis in Athens Georgia.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This is to let people know about Avis rent a car service in Pune. We had booked a car and got a confirmation through email as well as a message that we will get a car at Pune Airport on August 12, 2018 at 3pm. Our confirmation no is **. When we reached the airport and called them to find out where our car was, we were told by this guy named Mahesh that they didn't have a car available for us. We told him that we had received a confirmation the same morning too, but he didn't care. He said there was nothing he could do.

Then we requested for a chauffeur driven car if that was available and he said yes. He will send the car with the driver to drop us to our destination Mahabaleshwar. We waited for around 30-40 min and called back to find out where our car was and were told by the same guy that the driver had refused to drive us!! We were stuck at the airport with no support for Avis even after confirming a car for rs. 14547.60 for 3 days!! We called up the Delhi office to complain and were told that there was no manager and nobody could do anything. The best part was nobody cared or bothered to do anything about it.

It is such a shame really. Avis is a worldwide known brand and we have always hired cars from the company anywhere we travel in the world. There were three people we spoke to in Avis including Mahesh. They were Sarfaraz (Gurgaon office) and Krishna. All of them were ** in supporting and most unhelpful. The only reason I am mentioning their names is so that if anyone ever hires from here and speaks to anyone of these guys please be careful. It is better to hire from a local company rather from Avis where we get such awful and worse than poor service. We got no apologies from them in spite of the fact that they almost ruined our holiday.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

No quality checks. No inventory. No concern for customers. Problems are not the location's fault, but corporate's. - Concord location relies on the Charlotte Airport sending them vehicles. Typically, Concord only has a few vehicles on the lot, despite reservations for dozens of cars that day. Autos are NOT checked thoroughly and certainly NOT reviewed for safety. - Good luck getting the type of car you want. This past week my husband rented a Taurus whose electronic systems kept cutting out. This affected the touch screen, GPS navigation, climate control and mirrors. It required him to continually pull over, turn the car off and then back on to reset the system and get it to work again. Not exactly what you want when you are trying to get somewhere and most certainly NOT a safe thing to be doing on highways through the mountains.

Try to contact Avis. GOOD LUCK! You can almost NEVER get the exact location you were renting from and the corporate phone system is designed to get you to give up, which is what my husband finally did while trying to lodge a complaint. After a half hour, he said screw it. Prior to this, the last car he rented through Avis had window that was previously broken. The pieces were rattling around inside the door his entire trip. Crummy customer service. A keep your customer at arm's length attitude. Poor auto maintenance. Poor reservations system. Ugh. We gave you a few chances. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The manner in which Avis & specifically Loutjie ** from Claims is handling contract ** is unbelievable!!! My partner nearly lost her life in an accident with a car we hired from Avis, Loutjie ** reaches out to us almost a year after the accident and arrogantly assuming that we are wrong. I spent my time on my leave day to return the communication from Avis and all he could do was be assuming, rude and insensitive. He tells us that we "are coming with politics". He blatantly accuses us of:

*Not reporting the accident
*Not extending the contract
*Causing an accident
*Not cooperating with you

*Tell us that we didn't add an additional driver

He tells us about facts but he could't answer basic questions like:
*If we didn't report it how did Avis know about the accident?

*If my partner wasn't an additional driver why did Avis call her to check on how she was doing? Where did they get her number?

*If I didn't extend and close the contract how did Avis know how to bill us correctly?
*He didn't even realize that you only reached out to us on 7 months after the accident.

*Now he is telling us that he received this complaint in November 2017 and the first communication was in March 2018. The accident happened in August 2017

I humbly ask for another person to help us about this miscommunication but he responds with an email and continues with the accusations and cc's Anthony ** & Marina **. In this email he is again leaves out all the things we shared with him on Friday. This is the second issue we having with Avis. Last year I was charged an additional ~R27k for kilometers that were driven by someone else in a different contract. A mistake that happened at the branch. Now it's this!!!

For your information here are the events surrounding this accident: Prior to this accident I had been hiring vehicles from AVIS for almost a year, renewing on a monthly basis all of them and had my partner as a second driver, taken super cover, tire and windscreen insurance. The lady who caused the accident was in the wrong, her car broke down in the middle of the highway. She didn't have a triangle or her hazard lights on. The drivers infront of my partner were able to duck. Avis helped throughout the accident, with getting JMPD in, getting a tow truck for the vehicle. Someone from AVIS called my partner a month later asking about the accident and whether she was okay. This was a month later. He now comes almost a year later and is expect us to respond in his timelines and on top of that start accusing us of doing wrong.

Here is what I have done since Friday: I went to AVIS OR Tambo and asked all my contract. Went to the police to get the case records. Here is what I am doing moving forward: Report Loutjie for the service he gave us (On the Avis website, HelloPeter & social media). I will call the call center to get all the phone call records. I will call Avis and get all the video recording of what I supplied when I renewed the contract at the branch. I am getting a police report today about this incident to prove that the lady whose car broke down was in the wrong. If this doesn't work I will seek legal help for this case both the accusations & treatment and the charge that is being passed to us.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I am being charged $213.00 for "cleaning maintenance" apparently because we returned the car "full of dog hair, feces, and vomit". This is definitely untrue and extortion. Prior to returning the vehicle, we vacuumed the car thoroughly. We are four adults, two of whom are 60+ with a 40 lb dog. It is absurd to accuse us of allowing our pet to "vomit and defecate" in a car. It is absurd to think we'd even think about returning a car in as poor condition as they are accusing us. We returned the car to Deptford NJ and their employee there was rude and unprofessional. Consumers beware - be sure to take pictures of the vehicle prior to returning it and/or make sure you are present when the car is evaluated. Avis' practices are illegal.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

A month after I returned my rental vehicle, Avis charged me $75 for an "Odor/Stain" and cited a date different from my return date. When I contested the charge, they showed me a picture of what appeared to be dust. I know for a fact that this was not a stain from my use and that I had not been in any mud, yet they maintained that it took a lot extra effort to clean and they refused to reverse the charge even though I pointed out the wrong date and lack of real proof. Customer service did not answer my return email or elevate it to a supervisor as I requested. Between this and the terrible service when I picked up the vehicle at the Phoenix airport, I will never rent from this company again. If you choose to rent from them, save yourself some trouble and take A LOT of your own pictures of the vehicle when you pick it up and return it. Even then, good luck with their 'customer service.'

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Absolutely horrible experience with my rental. We rented a car in Barcelona and 3 days into our rental the “check engine” light came on and the car died in the middle of the street. We ended up being stranded 200 km from our hotel at 9 pm with a 5 year old child! 3 hours later we were able to get a tow truck and a replacement car from Avis. We were told by an Avis representative that there was a mechanical problem with the car and that we would not be charged for it. 2 weeks after returning home I noticed a $970 charge on my credit card. I have never even received an invoice telling me what the charge is for! Customer service can only tell me that they are charging me for “car damage” and rental of the car that I received to replace the car that broke. Please do not ever rent from this company as you might end up with some made up charge weeks after you return your rental!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am in the middle of possibly looking into legal action so this doesn’t continue to happen to others. I turned my car in at around 12pm. A week later I notice a $20.85 charge on my bank account. I called and was told it was toll charges. I knew for sure I didn’t go through any tolls and so I called the company that handles their toll charges. The person I spoke to said that I had gone through a toll at 1:45pm and again at 1:53pm on the day that I had returned it.

Funny, because I was already sitting on a plane by 2pm. He then told me that they had originally entered my return time as 12pm, but had changed it to 3pm! I’m confident I’m not the only one they’ve done this to. It’s criminal! Avis makes a lot of money from toll charges due to administrative fees, convenience fees, etc, and this is obviously a scam that allows them to hit their monthly numbers. It’s just $20.85, but I can’t imagine how many people they’ve done this to and have gotten away with it. Check your receipts!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I found a car that I would like to test drive and possibly purchase on CarGurus. It was advertised for Avis Car Sales. I called on a Wednesday to set the appointment to test drive the vehicle which was 3 and half hours away from me on the following Sat. On Friday I get a message from CarGurus that the vehicle was sold. I called twice and talked with our representative and my husband called twice and talked with the Avis Car salespeople and the representative. They assured us that the vehicle was not sold. I made sure they knew that we were driving 3 and half hours and wanted to make positive that this car would be there. We get to the Avis car rental location to test drive the vehicle and as we drove into the lot, I said, Wow, I don't see the car.

The nice people got the VW Beetle for us from another parking area and as soon as I saw the car, I said that is NOT the car in the ad. We got out and looked and sure enough, the car had NONE of the options that the car was advertised with. No back fin, no backup camera, no navigation. It was dirty and no floor mats and pings and scratches on several areas of the car. Definitely not the car that was pictured nor advertised. I feel this is false advertising at its finest. Then 3 days later the same car with the same miles and the same selling price was listed in another state for sale from Avis Auto Sales.

I called and asked to speak with a supervisor. I asked for only my gas money for the 7 hour drive. Not for my time, nor the wear and tear on my car but $50 gas money. The supervisor said she would speak with upper management and get back with me. I called her the next day and she said they could not reimburse me the gas money. I would not recommend anyone to buy a car from Avis Car Sales. The ad was very misleading and they obviously don't care about their reputation nor their customers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

N. Beach in Ft. Worth Texas location - Get dropped off. Wait is around an hour, only one very nice person that works there. Only 2 people in front of me. Still wait about an hour... The facility is dirty, floor you can literally see trash and dirt. The couch looks like a million and much more have sat on that couch and then if you can imagine some more people. First SUV, smells like an ashtray. Thinking maybe it's just me... I get out of the car to check the outside and can already smell myself. Now I smell like the car. The very nice guy goes in to get keys to another vehicle to come back out and tell me it's being serviced. The third SUV, well a prostitute must have rented it because the smell coming out of that vehicle was, I don't even know how to describe it. The very nice guy agreed it was very bad... Fourth vehicle, dirty, scratched, dented, dirty, did I say none of the vehicles had been washed or cleaned? Unbelievable!

No other cars to rent and of course they weren't going to upgrade you, because that would be too much customer service... I have NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN HAD THIS TYPE OF EXPERIENCE RENTING A CAR!!! Had to almost fist fight to get two customer service reps and a supervisor to call God to get an OK to cancel without being charged $150.00 for a $50.00 rental car that they couldn't furnish me. What is wrong with this whole picture? Please somebody tell me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We booked through Costco Avis and reserved a large SUV for Gander Newfoundland 3 weeks prior to our trip. They asked our time of flight arrival which is 3 am. They told us to call 48 hours prior to our trip and we were told they canceled our reservation because their Avis Booth closes at 12:30 am. They never called or emailed us to let us know they canceled. When I called them back, they admitted the mistake and did nothing to rectify this... as you can assume, there no more cars at all at this airport or City for that matter. Our trip is ruined.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Upon arrival and initial rental (I had reserved through Costco Travel) 3 days for $170 for a mid size not a horrible price for mid July. I decide to upgrade to a luxury for $10 more per day. He runs my card, I go to sign and it is $300. I tell him it is wrong, he fixes and runs my card again for $200. I leave and use my card, overdrawn! They charged my card $500! I go back to the rental office, he tells me to have the bank call him or it would be cleared by midnight. I was about to get on the road because I was driving from Nevada to SF CAL to visit my 102 Grandpa and watch a Giants game.

Next morning I check and nope no refund yet, I call Avis, sit on phone for at least an hour and a half getting nowhere. Finally 2nd call to a manager tells me to call my bank (it was a Sat). I call the bank who is closing in 20 mins. They tell me to have Avis write a letter on letterhead to them... etc. Another call to Avis, then after cleared another call to Avis for all the trouble it has caused, after 2 MORE calls and a mess of people who cannot help one manager was and offered a $50 discount that was supposed to be in my account 3-5 days after return of vehicle. Well guess what!? You guessed it, 8 days later no money! I call again, sit on phone for 30-45 and get "oh yeah I see it has not been done".

OK, so the next day it was there, along with a NEW charge of $13 to me without warning!! I call Avis AGAIN, two different people including a Supervisor could not help me! They said I got charged the $3.95 a day charge for the toll service. The toll was a charge of .86c in TEXAS. I was in SF California!! How is that possible?? Avis didn't seem to care because they said they cannot track where I took the car, that I would have to take it up with E-Tolls. Avis cannot check my rental agreement and see that I only drove the car less than 500 miles total??? I call E-Tolls now... HOW MANY PHONE CALLS FOR ONE weekend car rental!!?? At least 10!!!

Anyway, E-Tolls figured it was impossible and not even sure how they were able to charge my card when it was virtually impossible so they said they would credit my card back. Now we will see if that happen, hopefully no more phone calls. And lastly, the pictures are of the lovely bathroom at the location in Nevada I rented from. It was disgusting! I am not sure of the last time it was cleaned, and there were no toilet seat covers, no towels in EITHER paper towel holder either! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! Very disappointing, I rent 3-4 times a year and will never give them my business ever again. I do not recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Made a reservation and pre-paid 5 1/2 weeks in advance. Two days before the scheduled pickup, I received a reminder and again a confirmation number... 5 hours before pickup I received a call saying they did not have any vehicles in the class (large SUV) to provide me. Really put me in a terrible bind... I'm schedule to drive 6 1/2 hours to move my daughter out of her dorm and they left me stranded. I am going to blast this everywhere I know.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Avis charged over $100 for GPS usage on an 11 day rental. Why would someone nowadays ask for a GPS when most smartphones have the service?!? I told AVIS the service was not requested, but they INSISTED it was mentioned on the auto contract as an option... NOT.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This was my first time renting from Avis. I have rented from numerous other companies and have never had any issues with charges or hidden fees. I was an hour and half late on my trip from Pittsburgh to Rochester. I was traveling alone with three kids and we didn’t get out as early as planned, ran into traffic, and then had some surprise pit stops that caused us to be late. At check in I received my receipt and had been automatically charged another day for the rental. I asked if I could keep the rental for the extra day and they said it was too late as it was already checked in.

Not once was I told of these policies at check out or check in. I was told of fuel charges if returned empty, toll charges, and was asked if I wanted to buy insurance, but was never told I could be charged an extra day if I was late. If I had any idea that I would be charged such a large amount I would have planned accordingly and made sure to be there on time. The wording in the car agreement jacket states that they “may” charge a late fee but that is it. People working at the company from the front desk to the various supervisors were truly unhelpful and uncaring. I feel the company was not clear in communicating its policies and are more interested in making money off hidden fees and charges/tricking the customer.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I'll try to be brief. Rented a car for 24 hrs. 9 PM to 9 PM. Prepaid $145. The rental place closes at 9 and I missed the pickup (arrived by bus from out of town, bus was late). I came back at 7 AM (they open at 7 AM) to pick up the car. Because I was "late" I would not get the reserved car (which has been sitting in the garage overnight and was not re-rented). Manager came and said they could honor the reservation and rented it to me. They added $160 to my bill. What is a pre-paid reservation for? I lost 10 hours of possible driving time (my fault) and what did I actually pre-pay for? It's an insane "policy."

Original review: July 28, 2018

They are the worst. They tell you different stories. We went to rent a car. My mom paid for it. She didn't have a license. They would not let add a driver like they said they would. So we had to cancel or whole reservation and we didn't have a car for vacation. The lady at the Avis rental place at the airport in St George Utah was the rudest lady I ever came across. No help whatsoever.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I rented a car for a few days with Avis so I could get my dad to work. Compared to everyone else it was simple and easy or so I thought. They have a site that you can prepay online and it gives you a wizard number for your account which has your email and keeps track of your profile. I was dumb enough to not know this wizard even though it has your email and profile would not keep up with my new prepaid reservations. I have to low limit credit cards so I can only pay for a few days at a time. Not once did that site warn me that I was not supposed to reserve the car I had online.

It did say keep up with your confirmation just in case there was a mixup with billing. These people charged me 1200.00 on my credit card with a 300.00 dollar limit for a misunderstanding. I had sent them my confirmation numbers hoping it will clear up the confusion. They sent me a letter from lost prevention recovery and told me I had 3 days to get it back. This is a complete nightmare because I cannot rent a car. They have destroyed my Dad's credit card, I don't know what to do. I've been calling them and texting hoping to resolve this at a lower cost. My dad has no way to work. Very harsh people.

Original review: July 26, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. I made a reservation for a full size SUV for my wedding day in order to drive my groomsmen and myself to the venue and then my wife and I to the Airport the next day and drop off the car. On the special I went to pick up the car, since I signed up for the AVIS Preferred, the vehicle was inspected for me and was ready as soon as I arrived so I only needed to pick up the keys. As soon as I entered the vehicle I was hit with the smell of smoke! No big deal, the vehicle was inspected for me and I could deal with the smell for 1 day, so I believed that it was already known by the company of the vehicle's status. Everything went smoothly and even selected the service to be dropped off at the airport by an Avis driver so that I did not have to take a taxi/Uber and be late for my flight. Other than the smell of the vehicle I was very happy with the service.

Fast forward 2 months later, I receive a random charge of $300 on my credit card from AVIS!!! After many phone calls I finally receive an email with the follow up stating that the car smelled like weed and that I am being held liable for the vehicle's condition. Again, the vehicle was inspected for me and I trusted the company to be honest with their "SMOKE FREE CARS" and not take advantage of their customers! There are 2 reasons why the car smelling like weed would be 100% NOT my fault. #1 I have NEVER smoked the substance in my life and would never allow anyone to smoke it in the same car as me! And #2 I AM ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY! I CANNOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT SUBSTANCE AND I AM FREQUENTLY DRUG TESTED! This is the first and LAST time I rent from this company. And I advise you to stay away as far as possible because they will find every opportunity to take advantage of you!

Original review: July 26, 2018

On July 24 2018 we were at the airport to pick up a rental car we had booked online a couple of months earlier. We had prepaid an additional insurance for the car in order to avoid an eventual large expense in case anything should happen to the car while in Montenegro. The local AVIS representative was most rude, and was, not to say aggressive and unpleasant. He insisted that we buy an additional insurance to cover eventual expenses. We felt the obligation to pay for the insurance in order to get the keys to the AVIS rental car. A phone call later the same day to the Norwegian branch of AVIS relieved that the insurance was already paid for by the booking. AVIS should really make sure that their offices are staffed with polite, informed and experienced personnel. Their counter in Tivat was an appalling experience.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We are very disappointed with our experience with Avis. We prepaid for a mid-size SUV that we rented for a week in the Philly area. Our flight was cancelled and we needed to extend our rental for a day. When I called to extend our rental for a day I was told it would cost us $328. I understood the $75 charge because we would be dropping it off at a different location, but what else were we being charged for? Seriously being taken advantage because our flight was cancelled and we were not receiving any help from the airline. So many fees and when I called (which took a total of 45 min) no one on their end could explain them to me. Look somewhere else. Avis is sneaky with their post billing.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Since I picked up my prepaid rental from Avis on June 20, 2018, I have had problems that have not been resolved even with several phone calls and e-mails. I was provided with a defective Cruze; the power steering stopped functioning. I was barely able to steer it into the Avis space at the Calgary Airport. I was given a replacement car and when I returned it, I was promised a $100 coupon for compensation. As of this date, Avis has not honored that promise that I have on my contract. My advice is not to prepay and not to rent from Avis.

Original review: July 19, 2018

After renting numerous cars, I was unable to return this car with a full tank of gas. When I got my bill I was shocked to learn I was just charged $146 for fuel service. That came out to $9.75/gallon! I get that I should be charged a little more, but $9.75/gal? I will never get an Avis car again! This is just not right.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have rented plenty. Today was the worst. I reserved a full size car online this past Friday at the Avis Lilburn, GA location. When I went to pick it up today the Avis employee told me that my car was unavailable because they overbooked. Even though this wasn’t my fault, she couldn’t offer me anything but a small car. I already prepaid for the car I wanted and asked for a better solution. The employee told me that she would contact customer service and complain. What did I do that for?!

My first customer service agent was Natalie. I explained my situation and again asked for a better solution. She offered me 11$ for the inconvenience. I was not pleased with the compensation offered because I still did not need a smaller car... and it wasn’t compensation for inconvenience. It was the price of the smaller car. I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and Natalie ended the conversation by letting me know that if I wanted to talk to someone else I could hang up and call again to see if someone would answer me.

I called again. My next agent offered me advice to cancel my reservation and make another, knowing that they would deduct 50$ for cancelling and not credit my money back for another 3-5 days. I spoke with a supervisor, Albert, explained a third time. Albert was very dry with his response, he offered no solution but transferred me to another customer service agent who couldn’t provide anything for me either. I got no solution. Because of today, I will not EVER book with AVIS again. They have the most horrible service ever!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Stood in line for over an hour at LAX AVIS RENTAL CAR for something which should have taken 20 minutes at most, staff lazily walk around the counter with not an ounce of pep in their step with a huge line. They casually wait to call the next customer. Maybe they are on hourly pay? Never using them again. Terrible. Just terrible. At first 6 staff, then down to 1 after 30 minutes. Horrible!

Original review: July 17, 2018

We left an important document in the glove box of a rental car. We notified them within an hour of check-in. A claim was filed immediately. Numerous calls to the lost and found in which a recording was heard stating business hours and that they would only keep the lost item for 30 days. Leave your information and they would return your call. Nothing ever happened. No return calls and no action on the claim review. We talked to Customer Service several times with no satisfaction other than very unlikely it will be returned. The 30 days have passed without even a phone call. I think the lost and found department is a joke. I don't there is anybody in this department because absolutely no responses. We will not rent a car from Avis if this is the best they can do to satisfy a customer problem.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I booked with AVIS via British Airways and got a prepaid voucher for a full size car for 25 days. When I was at the AVIS desk in Orlando, they had only one full size available and a brand that I wasn't really happy with. The Rep offered me a great upgrade for a total of $234 for the whole rental period. I happily accepted that and knew that I would have to pay that amount. When the car was returned, I didn't check the receipt until I arrived back in the UK. Seems I've been charged for a whole host of add-ons which I never accepted or was informed about.

Some of the charges aren't even detailed. Upon checking my rental agreement, it seems I signed for all of them. This is the problem after you get off a long haul flight - you just want to get your car and be out. From now on, I will check these agreements properly before signing. They are scammers - they know you aren't going to read all the details - you just sign in all the places they ask you to sign.

Be warned and be aware. I'm sure other rental companies do similar things. Make sure you know exactly what you are being charged for before you leave their desk. That Rep must have been laughing - he probably gets paid commission for all those add-ons. He knew that he hadn't asked me if I wanted them! All in all I'm left with a bill for over £600 above what I expected to pay!!! Learn from my mistakes - DON'T sign until you know what charges you are getting - and query that it isn't already covered on your pre-pay voucher!!! Very angry about this. I feel I've been conned!

Original review: July 12, 2018

We booked a car with Avis in New Orleans last May for one day (directly at the counter). The rental price mentioned on the contract is $65 and "basic coverage" is written on it in capital letters (we asked for no additional insurance). However they charged $175 on our credit card! We found the e-receipt on their website and we discovered that they added many additional coverages ($110 of insurances for one day!!!). As for now the customer service claims that we accepted the optional coverage but we didn't! And the document we signed proves it! We don't know what to do next with so much bad faith (we are from France).

Not sure about Avis?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information

1946
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany
NJ
www.avis.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business