1.03/5

1255 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

SCAM. Before returning the vehicle I went across the street and filled the tank with gas. The representative at Avis looked at the indicator, came inside the office and asked if I wanted to fill the tank? I said I just did and she replied that it was a gallon short and would I like to go back out and fill the tank or pay $15.00.

Although very upset I went back across the street and filled the tank. I filled it to the top and it took .42 gallons. Yes, less than 1/2 of a gallon. I was prepared to join the preferred Avis but unfortunately I cannot do business with this company. Avis Car Rental, South Sarasota, Fl.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had booked a 7 seater car for a one day trip and paid full amount with additional 5000 RS security deposit. We received a confirmation of vehicle as well. On the day of travel, the vehicle did not arrive till the time of trip start. After following several times they mentioned they have cancelled the booking as they could not find a vehicle. So beware. Even confirmed bookings can be cancelled by them at the nth moment upsetting your travel completely. Now I am following up for the refund. Horrible customer service provided by Avis self drive cars. I feel Zoomcar is always better. Avis rents are also on higher side.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our rental car cost us double what the original quote was. They obviously did not have the car that we had originally booked. The agent tried to "upgrade" us for 50 pounds per day. We refused. She then tried to "upgrade" us for 30 pounds per day and we refused. She then said we could have the upgrade for free. I assumed that the insurance and taxes would remain the same. When I reserved the original car, the CDW insurance was $56.93 and taxes were $148.59. On this new "upgraded" car, insurance was dollar equivalent to $291.30. The 20% VAT tax was added onto this insurance which we had not requested. In the U.S., we call this "bait & switch". They gave us a free "upgrade" but they made up for it in increased insurance and taxes.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I rented a car from Avis in Los Angeles for two day business trip. When I returned the car back to the airport the Avis attendant checked the car and gave me my receipt. Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail saying they were charging me $150 for dirt on the backseat. I never use the backseat not even for luggage. I called customer service and they said they would not eliminate the charge. I’m a 20 year preferred Avis customer that rents cars every week. There was no way the dirt on the back seat was left by me on my business trip. Avis just lost a 20 year preferred customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I flew into Pensacola with my 3 kids on Tuesday October 16th - 2018 to visit my mother and help her after hurricane Michael. I had a car reserved with Avis. Reservation ** - when I arrived, they told me that they didn't have a car for me. I was literally stranded at the airport with my 3 kids and was 2 hours away from my mother's home. I was lucky enough to get a cab for $150, and the jerks at AVIS will not reimburse me for the cab ride and I still don't have a car. Never again will I rent from AVIS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We rented a car from Avis Rental Car in Florence Italy on 9/6/18 and returned it later that day using overnight drop off. The car was parked in between two cars and did not have any scratches on it but was dirty because we drove through gravel. Two days after renting the car we receive an email and charge for $322 (US) because they claimed we scratched the panel under both the driver's side and passenger's side door. There were absolutely no scratches on the car when we dropped it off and the lines look too straight to be an actual scratch. Instead, they look like paint markers that were used to draw on the vehicle. I tried fighting with Avis customer service but they claim the damage paperwork submitted checks out.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They gave me a vehicle I didn't reserve after spending the time with the manager looking at all of the vehicles so I can choose the two that he had that would be big enough for us. Yeah it was the same brand but it was a minivan and the one we ordered was an SUV. But it's all titled under the same section so they get away with it. So we lost a day of travel complaining about the car because it wasn't big enough and it took us a long time to get what we could into it and get people to take to their house the other stuff until we can get back for it. And they had nothing bigger left on the lot. No reimbursement because the manager at Long Beach Airport said he didn't do anything wrong... even though I have text messages where he admitted the bait and switch. Never ever again will I use them. Now we have to drive like the devil to make up the lost time on our trip.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I reserved a car at the Frankfurt airport on Avis.com for an estimated $350. I paid with a VISA card that carried CDW insurance and confirmed it twice by phone with VISA before my trip. After waiting in line 1 hour at the Avis counter, I told the attendant I did not want their insurance. She charged it anyway and my final cost was over $700. This company is taking people hostage at the airport, they know you have no choice but to sign their contract if you want the keys to the car you reserved to leave the airport. Totally dishonest and corrupt. I have read many reviews since that describe the same scheme of overcharging customers with their special insurance.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I rented a car on 10/06 from DENVER Airport. I returned car with FULL gas tank on 10/09 5 am because my flight was at 7ish. I then got a gas charge on my credit card almost 10 days later!!!! This total was another 266.00. Really??? I called the local number in DENVER for 2 days an NO ONE ever answer the phone EVER!!!! SO then I call the 1-800 number and they said, "OH well. Just find a receipt for the gas charges and we will take it off. IF WE AGREE!!!" And it will take almost 2 WEEKS!!! This extra charge made my credit card go OVER the limit as well! NEVER again AVIS!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We rented from Avis, as usual, in August and in September received two charges on the credit card for tolls - we paid all our tolls with cash as we were only around Orlando and Kissimmee. Having checked the receipts the tolls were only on the final 2 days of our rental. On the penultimate day we were at SeaWorld during the times mentioned and the last day we handed the vehicle back before either charge occurred. We are now in the process of to-ing and fro-ing with Avis and collecting receipts to show that these charges could not be apportioned to us - all we can think is that they have mixed up the rental numbers as at least one charge is for a road we have never used! Wish us luck we will be disputing the charges with the credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am beyond disappointed with my experience and will never use Avis again. My reservation was booked and paid for last week. When I arrived I was told that I could not use my debit master card even though the charge was already withdrawn from my account. The reps at the counter offered no solutions to my problem. I called customer service who offered me a car at another location for TWICE the price! This is a bait and switch of the worst kind. In addition, this was for a corporate meeting and I will be passing the feedback to our company travel dept. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We rented a car from Avis San Diego airport on October 12, 2018. The vehicle was in a completely unacceptable condition. It reeked of the smell of both cigarette smoke and **. There was trash left in the car (e.g., coffee cups, papers, etc.) from the previous customers. We arrived in the evening and had somewhere to be, so we did not have time to go all the way back to the office from the garage to request a different vehicle. We called the Avis San Diego office more than 10 times over the weekend but no one ever answered the phone and there was no voicemail.

We called customer service but the recording said they were closed. When we returned the vehicle, we pleasantly pointed out the problems with the dirty car and the Avis employee appeared unconcerned and did not apologize. We have not received a response to our email to Avis either. Our son has breathing issues, and we were told it would be a clean vehicle. All of us had difficulty breathing with the heavy smoke smell in the car.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

The Avis.com online booking system for rental cars allows you to reserve and pay for rental cars from pick-up locations that do not have cars available. In all fairness, the rental car pick-up location itself and their staff (in this case it was the Avis counter at Wyndham Hotel in West Houston, Texas) were fairly helpful, but at the same time, made helpless by the system.

According to the personnel who handled my case, Avery, there were other customers in the same situation as me that morning who had pre-booked online at his location where there were no available cars. In the end I spent 45 minutes waiting for Avery to source a car for me from a different location, then, upon no success, I spent another half an hour on the Avis helpline to organize a refund. After getting my refund, I booked online with Hertz at a nearby location and got my car within 15 minutes of arriving at their pick-up location. In conclusion, there are online pre-booking systems for rental cars that work. Avis.com is not one of them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I got a truck from Avis Boston to Virginia. This reservation was made 2 weeks prior to my departure. On getting to the counter, I had informed the personnel that I specifically requested for a large size truck because I was moving out of state. That being said, I signed off on the agreement not knowing that my drop-off location was specified as Boston. On getting to Virginia, I observed this and had called to return the car barely 12hrs of returning the vehicle and was told I had to pay additional fees which amounted to a total of over $900 for an initial reservation which should have been $284.

Over two hours arguing with their rep and being transferred to two different managers on the phone, they finally said the charge was an additional $300 plus some small charges totaling $600+. Their reps were somewhat rude and had no idea for which, I blatantly told them that they were holding me to the agreement which I signed for their mistake. I hung up and later called to speak with someone else who told quoted the same price but later wasn't sure and asked that I go to the counter at the airport in Virginia to find out what my cost would be.

I got to the counter and was billed $600+ but a little less than what they had quoted for me on the phone which I find to be very inconsistent and unprofessional. The lady over the counter had said that it seemed like they had charged me for an additional day due to the fact that I was returning the vehicle earlier than the supposed 24 hrs which it was rented for (I had only used the vehicle for 15 hrs). What sort of rental company charges for returning a vehicle earlier than the stated agreement. Wouldn't that be to their own advantage. I ended up washing my hands off this useless rental company, paid and walked away without bothering to even follow up on trying to see if I could get a refund. What a useless rental company. Never using them anymore, bunch of morons.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Made a prepaid reservation at Avis in Bodø Airport in Norway. The reservation was a prepaid reservation made online. When I got my credit card statement, I saw that I got charge for 1 856 NOK (around 300$) that was not selected when I made the reservation. By calling their Customer service, they are telling that it is mandatory insurance but they are not including it in their prepaid amount. This is surely false advertising. They are attracting you with a good price and when you actually make the rental, the price you are paying is inflated by these hidden costs. Review your contract in full and make sure not to use their prepayment option as you will get ripped-off. Never using Avis again!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I wish I can give negative stars especially for your Boston Logan Airport staff and Facility. You delayed my pickup by 1.5 hrs whilst I stood in line patiently. My flight took lesser time than your wait time. Then you charged my card $23 additional because I dropped it off 40 mins later and added an extra day of insurance and a bunch of BS charges. Beware scam rental company!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

August 2018. I made car rental arrangements by phone (in English) a few days before traveling to Montreal from Arizona. At YUL, Avis was out of small cars so the Agent gave me a Ford Flex instead of a Hyundai Elantra. Charges were added to the amount quoted earlier. I was told the office would be open 24-7 for the return. I could not get a hold of anyone at Avis other than a recording. Upon my return, 6, instead of 7 days later, I learned (from a personal acquaintance) that there would be no personnel at Avis after 11 p.m. and no one before 9 a.m., so I had to spend the night at the airport to catch my flight in the morning and be able to have enough time to return the car before my flight.

The Agent, in his own words, said that he spoke nor French, nor English, nor "Franglish" (his word), but something like that! When I asked the details of what he was billing me for, he called me a "baby", mocked me, yelled at me, walked away! My bill ended up 3 times the amount quoted originally. Avis would not apply the USAA 25% discount offered to its members. Upon writing a factual complaint to an Avis, a "Representative, Account Services", responded to my complaint that it was but my "perception!" Needless to say, my need for truth was not met; my expectations for what was promised were not satisfied; the assistance I hoped for was instead an utter lack of caring; the customer support non-existent. No attempt at correcting the problem was made on the part of Avis, no refund, no USAA rebate extended. I experienced the worse car rental experience ever with Avis.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

They will charge you a lot for no reason. They charged us $250 saying that we smoke in the car and we Don't smoke. They are crazy and just like to steal money with no reason. They also said that our car is white and they give us a red car instead. They are robbers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Beware Avis, they will sell their car insurance coverage even you said "no" to them, unfortunately after waiting more than 30 mins we lost patience. Without double check we signed the paper. Now it appears on my credit card. We called this merchant several times, they refund $30 instead of we agreed half which is $224.5. They set up customer in this way, so they can make extra money! They post cheaper daily rental price to beat other company, but when you return the rental car they will always find something to charge you more!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

They added lots of extras without our permission, hid these within extremely complicated documentation and then leveraged the language barrier to charge us for hundreds of pounds of extras that we did not require. The complaints team take weeks to respond and then say they can’t help, won’t tell you their complaints procedure or how to escalate a complaint. A month after the hire they have taken more money from our card with no invoice or explanation therefore this is now being investigated for fraud. Please avoid at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

‪Avis wants to charge us almost $500 for repairs on a vehicle that we rented 2 months ago. They have a generic invoice and no proof that this damage caused by us. I will NEVER use them again and I encourage you to not used them either. ‬I spoke with a representative and he told me that the same vehicle was rented 2 days after we dropped it off. Then, when I spoke to another representative, she tells me that it wasn’t rented out, that it was the date that it went to the shop. THEN I get on the phone with a supervisor and she tells me that they are both wrong and the car went to the shop the same day. Such BS! My husband was the only one that drove the vehicle and he is a very responsible driver. I believe that one of their porters damaged the wheel and tire and they’re trying to blame it on us. I wrote the CEO and I have no response.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Let me begin by stating I found my birth mother & siblings after 49 years about 6 weeks ago. I made reservations for my children & I to fly from Texas to Boston to meet our long lost family (21 people waiting to meet us on Cape Cod) approx 1 month ago. With the flight reservation I, of course, booked a rental car as it's a 2 1/2 hour drive from airport. I was extremely diligent in reading the fine print as I use a debit card & not all companies will allow. I have been renting vehicles for 30+ years without incidence. I allotted several extra hundred dollars just in case Avis required a deposit even though it was not stated in fine print.

We arrive in Boston Sept. 20th as scheduled (Avis had stated all that was required of me was my r/t itinerary with flight info). The line was so long that I had time to count the people in front of me, 44!!! We finally get to counter & due to my "credit" they will not rent to me!!! I ask where exactly is that stated as I've rented with Avis before? They could care less & brushed me aside. Well Avis... I have been a victim of domestic violence which is why my credit is not up to par. I am not a criminal! But I will tell everyone for the rest of my breathing days (as will my children & new 21 members of my family) what kind of company this is. You have FOREVER lost 24 customers + everyone they tell. Shame on you people, may God be with you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I really hate leaving a bad review on someone but this one has gone too far... I have previously rented from Avis and it has always gone smooth which has been stopping me from giving them this review but now after today I just. I rented a van for one day for a small trip. Picked it up on time and dropped it off at 11:30 pm (the return time we had paid for). Couple days later I see they overcharged me $275 dollars... I call customer service to find out what happened and they tell me I didn't turn in the van until 5:30 am?!? I tell them I specifically walked into the office to turn in the keys to make sure everything checked in correctly and spoke with their representative. They put me on hold and said they could only remove 50% of the charges?!? I then get upset and tell them I will not be held accountable for their mistake and she tells me there is nothing they can do.

I then call and ask to be transferred to the local office where I got the van from and explain the situation with them. They then tell me their guy the checks in the vehicles didn't check it in until the morning and they would have it fixed and refunded in 7-10 days... I say ok wait 12 days and the charges are still there. I call them again and spoke with their regular customer service which then tell me there are no notes and they can only remove 50% again. I start to grow frustrated and tell them do they not have communication with their local offices? I get put on hold throughout my whole lunch hour and finally come back and tell me they found the info and I would be credit in 3-5 days. This time I ask for proof that I will be refunded and they give me a case ID number.

5 days pass and no refund. I call them again and it's as if it were my first time bringing up this issue! No notes, no info, nothing. I get very upset and tell them to look through their cameras and see everything was turned in on time! The girl puts me on hold for about 5 minutes and then comes back and says they will refund me in 7-10 days! I tell her I am not playing the circle game again and they need to give me some proof that this will in fact be done! She gets frustrated and says, "There is no proof we can give you sir!" I then ask for her name and her manager's name who is supposedly processing the refund and she started giving me attitude. I request to speak with her manager and she then leaves me on hold for about 13 minutes until I decide to hang up and post this review. To me this is very unprofessional and aggravating!

It seems they have no communication within their company whatsoever and their customer service has been horrible. I would understand if I was at fault for something but all the proof is there!!! Why is it so hard? I work in customer service myself and when all the proof is there we get it fixed. We even go an extra step to take care of the customer for the inconvenience. This does not seem to be the case with them and it is very upsetting! Sadly I will no longer rent through Avis or any of their DBA until they fix their faulty system. I will update you guys on the outcome of the situation but have it for sure they will not make me responsible for their mistakes.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I wrote the following letter to Larry DeShon on 9/7/18. I received a call from his office the next morning with an apology and promise of a full refund and a week of free car rentals - none of which has happened (it is now 9/27): "I have been an Avis advocate and customer for more than 20 years. I recently became a business preferred customer and have been very happy with Avis. On September 4, 2018 I picked my rental car from the Avis at the Sacramento Airport. My rental Agreement number was **. The vehicle number was 85168366. My destination - Fall River Mills - was approximately a 4 hour drive first on I-5 and then on Highway 299.

About 2 hours into this trip, while still on I-5, I heard a "clunk" and within seconds an alarm sounded. The dash panel showed what looked like a motor and a wavy tire pattern. As I was trying to figure out what had happened, a second alarm sounded which showed a lightening bolt pattern. The next thing that happened was the car literally lost power - the speedometer went from 70 mph to 60, to 50, to 40. I pressed the accelerator to the floor - nothing, no response.

At the time this happened, I was in the middle lane of one of the busiest freeways in California, surrounded by 18 wheel semi trucks! Fortunately I put on the emergency signal, the semis made room for me and I was able to get to the shoulder of the freeway. I called Avis 800 number. They could not ping my cell phone to find me (I was surrounded by alfalfa fields).

After approx 20 minutes, I was able to turn the car on and staying on the shoulder carefully drove to an exit sign about 1/2 mile up the road. The Avis rep was finally able to get my location. (Please note, there was no alarm showing on the dash when I drove the 1/2 mile). The operator said she would text me when she was able to reach a tow company to come and get me. I received a text about 10 minutes later informing me that the tow company would be to my location in 45 minutes to 1 hour. The tow truck arrived 1 1/2 hours later and I was towed to the Redding Airport. When we arrived at Redding, the tow truck driver said he wanted to check the VIN number because he had towed this same SUV from Redding to Sacramento approximately 2 - 3 weeks before for repairs. It was the same VIN number.

Why am I writing directly to you? Mr. Deshon, I am business women. I have rented many cars. I have NEVER had a rental company put me in an unsafe car. NEVER, until now. Why would any company do something like this? When I returned the car to the Avis preferred counter today, the agent who had rented the car to me pretended he knew nothing about this incident. (The car was towed from Redding back to Sacramento for repairs on 9/4/18). The agent then said he would take $100.00 off of my $187.00 charge because of the inconvenience! The issue is safety! You have lost a business customer."

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Avis/Budget provided an 8 passenger van for TDY purposes. No less than 60 kilometers after leaving the Nuremberg airport Avis location, the vehicle come up with an engine failure. Leaving me stranded for 3 hours (and counting as I’m still here). Called the “roadside” assistance number, they said it will take 30 - 60 minutes for someone to come look at the vehicle to determine if the rental is functional... It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that it’s a transmission failure (945.2 km mind you).

I called them several times to try to get a replacement vehicle, however they are only responsible for roadside assistance only. “Please call the main office” I was told. I call them, they say “please call and wait for roadside assistance” as their policy says. I can’t cancel my rental agreement and get another vehicle until someone comes out to see the vehicle. So I call roadside assistance to please put a note in their system stating that roadside assistance isn’t here yet, and that I can’t wait another 2-3 hours. They can’t do that, because they are only roadside assistance only, “please call the headquarters”... Don’t waste your time/money. Green suiters, stay away!!! They couldn’t care less about the customer, and they will most likely charge me for the rental. Oh, lastly. They charge you for the phone call as well. It’s not a toll free number...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I wanted to post the horrible experience I am having with Avis Car Rental. I am in Dallas with my family with 2 young kids, and I lost the rental car keys last night and below has been the sequence of events that has happened so far: Called Roadside assistance and they dispatched someone to come open the car and check if I left keys in car. Guy came, opened the door and could not open the trunk. Called roadside again and they said they don't know if I will be charged for this service or not!

Roadside assistance said I have an option to tow the car and take it to the Avis Center. I asked which is the nearest one open and they said at that time it was just the airport, however if I do in morning I can get one 1 mile away. So of course I chose that and when I called in morning, the new representative said the only one where they can get car opened was Airport! So wasted the entire time and ended up in same situation 12 hours later!

They sent another tow company who came and said they cannot tow the car as Car is not in neutral!!!! They did not knew that car was locked out. And was not equipped to tow the car. So the guy said, he will send another truck. Called roadside again and asked about new ETA. It has been 3 hours since then and now I get a call that the new guys are stuck in traffic! Called Customer service and they don't even have extra car keys.

So I ended up spending all the time, waiting for someone to come and having to call the customer service just to get ETAs. I understand that this is all because I may have lost the keys, but the horrifying service with lack of communication to their towing partners and not even able to solve issue in over 16 hours just wasted my weekend with family and of course hundreds of dollars for car keys and towing service which cannot come on time :( Avis, you just lost a loyal customer. Very poor experience. Hope you read this and make some changes.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Beware Avis / Budget rent a car are careless and negligent putting travelling families in danger. My wife, myself, our friend and three young children picked up a K class Renault Grand Scenic in Paris (Avis rent a car, 21 Place De La Madeleine, 75008, Paris, France) on July 24, 2018. There were no visible signs of damage or problems with the vehicle upon my initial inspection. However, over the course of the next few days on our way to Noyers, France, for a wedding (approximately 200kms south of Paris), the steering wheel began to increasingly wobble while driving. After visually inspecting the wheels on the vehicle when we got to Noyers, I noticed that the tire tread was badly damaged. We spent the next few days leaving the vehicle parked, having to hitch rides with other family members for the wedding events fearing the poor condition of the tires.

On July 30th, after the wedding, we were scheduled to make a six hour 550km drive to Brittany for the remainder of our trip. At 8h30 in the morning, we took the vehicle to a nearby AVIS location in Auxerre, France (Avis Location Voiture, Rue Paul Doumer, 89000 Auxerre, France) hoping to exchange it. The representative there told me that this AVIS location was franchised and he could not provide us with a K class vehicle in exchange that we could return to Orly, even though there was one available in the lot.

I suggested we replace the damaged tires at a local garage in Auxerre but had to ask the representative to help us locate a garage that could do the repair. He reluctantly called one garage in Auxerre that did not have replacement tires for this make of vehicle. Then he told us that in his opinion, no other local garage would either. He refused to call elsewhere and started serving other customers. We were forced to find a solution on our own.

I decided to call the rental agency in Paris where we picked up the vehicle. The manager there said she would try to find a garage on our route and get back to us. We waited. When she finally she got back to us and she suggested we drive for one hour to a Speedy garage in Sens, France to replace the tires. Reluctantly, we agreed to travel another 100km on the damaged tires for the repair. It was a stressful 100kms.

Upon our arrival, the service technician at Speedy told us they didn’t carry replacement tires for this make of vehicle. He suggested we try the nearby Renault dealership. Fortunately, the Renault dealer had four tires in stock. I called the manager in Paris and she authorized us to go to the dealership and change the tires but we would have to pay for the repair ourselves. She told us she would put a note on our rental agreement so we could get reimbursed when we returned the vehicle to Orly on August 2nd.

After spending four hours with an unaccommodating representative in Auxerre and four hours in Sens getting the tires replaced to the tune of $600 Euro, we finally got back on the road to Brittany. 30 minutes later, the clutch on the vehicle failed leaving us stranded in the middle of an extremely busy intersection of the A6 highway for 30 minutes. The tow truck took us to the towing station where we were told to contact AVIS Assistance. AVIS Assistance told us they would send a taxi to take us to Orly airport where we could get a replacement vehicle. However, we were told that they could not send the taxi until the replacement vehicle was reserved at Orly and that the wait time in the queue for AVIS Assistance to reserve the vehicle would be at least one hour before they could make the reservation and contact the taxi.

Having already spent over 8 hours trying to resolve this issue, we were once again left to find a better solution on our own. I suggested calling Orly myself to make the reservation instead of waiting in the queue, then calling AVIS Assistance with a reservation confirmation so that they could send a taxi. The AVIS assistance representative reluctantly agreed.

I called AVIS reservations and explained the situation but was met with another unaccommodating and extremely rude representative that refused to take our reservation stating that this was not the right procedure. After pleading with him for at least 30 minutes and explaining what we had already been through, he was unapologetic and continued to refuse to help us. I asked to speak with a manager, he also refused. Frustrated and with no other choice, I decided hang up, take a moment and check on the family. I then called back to speak to someone else. Fortunately, this time, after explaining the same situation again, the woman I spoke to agreed to take our reservation (attached), I called AVIS Assistance with the reservation confirmation so that they could send the taxi. It took another hour for the taxi to arrive.

We picked up the replacement rental car in Orly and got back on the road at 10h30 pm with a four-hour trip ahead of us. All told, we had spent 12 hours trying to resolve this issue. What should have been a six-hour trip to Brittany, took over 18 hours, was extremely stressful and terribly hard on the young children. We arrived in Brittany just after 2h30 in the morning on July 31st.

Still, the ordeal wasn’t over. On August 2nd, we returned the replacement vehicle to Orly only to find out that no note had been posted to our agreement and the manager in Orly refused to refund the cost of the new tires we had installed on the damaged vehicle. He offered to refund the cost of our rental agreement but the amount was slightly less than the cost of the tire replacement. After what we had been through, I had to refuse on principle. I asked that he send an email to his boss to resolve the issue. His boss never replied and I was once again forced to try and recover our out of pocket expense upon our return to Canada.

From Canada, it became even more complicated. Both AVIS international and AVIS France told me I had to contact the manager of the location where we initially rented the vehicle directly, to resolve the issue. AVIS has no international toll-free phone numbers and no one at AVIS was willing to connect us to the rental location or to the manager in Paris. It took days to get through with multiple international long-distance phone calls at our own expense.

When I finally reached the manager in Paris, she promised to refund the cost of the tires but offered nothing else. By the time the refund was processed two weeks later with no correspondence or apologies from anyone at AVIS, the refunded amount on my credit card statement was $873.93 Canadian dollars but the cost of the tires was $940.23 Canadian dollars. We were still short $66.30 out of pocket.

I am not frustrated with the fact that our rental vehicle broke down. That happens. I am frustrated with the carelessness and negligence of renting a damaged vehicle in the first place. Either AVIS neglected to properly inspect the vehicle or simply ignored its condition prior to this rental. I am also shocked that throughout this ordeal, no AVIS representative came to our aid or had any reasonable solutions to offer. No one at AVIS seemed to care. The only people that were generous and truly helpful didn’t work for AVIS. The Speedy service technician who helped us find replacement tires, the pleasant young tow-truck driver who came to our rescue when we were stranded on the highway, the nice lady at the towing station who gave the kids snacks and drinks while we waited for hours and the friendly taxi driver that finally took us to Orly, these are the people who helped us.

I finally sent an email formally requesting that AVIS refund the cost of our rental ($914.25 Canadian dollars) and the remaining unrefunded balance of ($66.30 Canadian dollars) as compensation for the hardship my family and I had to endure on this trip thanks to AVIS Car Rental. I got no response. We were very lucky that we avoided a serious accident on this trip but there’s no excuse for this kind of carelessness and negligence. Stay away from AVIS / BUDGET rent a car.

Avis rental agreement # **.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

In July I rent a car in Tunis for 8 days, I did the reservation online for 375.43 euro, that it was about $428. When I received my credit card bill I found out that they charging me $502. The explanation about the extra charge was that they charged me the 10% more because I didn't show some document, but when I reserved the car it was nothing about any document or any additional charge. After many e-mails and phone calls they said that they feel sorry for misunderstanding but the charges will stay. This was my first and last experience with AVIS. DO NOT rent a car from them, they will steal your money.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On Aug 8th I reserved a Economy 2/4dr car on Orbitz. It stated a Hyundai Accent or similar for $309.55 one week rate and one day between Sept 11 returning on the 19th. When I went to pick it up Avis stated they only had a Volkswagen Bug, I stated that would not due and to give me a free upgrade for breaking my reservation. The clerk said he would not do that but a upgrade would be $5 per day. After stating poor service I took the upgrade, it was to be a Toyota Camry. When I got to the car space it was a Mazda 3 (very hard car to get into and out of). On my return I called the Avis National Office to open a complaint. I found out the cost went up another $5 per day due to the 2nd upgrade for the Mazda 3.

Note: When I 1st walked out to pick up my car, I noticed only about 6-8 cars available and no Volkswagen Bugs were on the lot. I think this was a pitch and switch scam to upsell. When I dropped off the car I noticed my receipt did not print out the cost like most other car rental sites I use. I talked to the clerk that rented my the car and he insisted a Subcompact is similar to and the same rate as the economy Rate. I stated the website shows Subcompact, compact, economy, midsize, etc. Subcompact is 2 levels lower, why can he give me 2 size lower with the same cost, but could not give me one or two size upgrade? I stated to him I would need to do a bad web review and call Orbitz but he did not care. "Can you help so I do not have to waste any more time filling out reviews." Well here I am.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I rented a car through Priceline from Avis for $56 total. When I got to the desk I asked about renting it for a 2nd day. They said I would have to stay with the Priceline rate. I asked, "So it will be $55 something?" He said, "Yes ma'am. "When I went to sign the contract I saw it was for $81 and change. I asked, "Is this for 2 days?" He said, "Yes ma'am." As he handed me the contract, I again asked, "Is this amount for 2 days?" He said, "Yes ma'am, that is for 2 days."

When I got to my destination I checked my bank account and saw they had already taken $55 and change from my account. I spoke to the lady at the counter on returning the car. She said, "Ma'am you signed the contract." That was it. I told her I will not rent from AVIS AGAIN. She said, "That's fine." I appreciate the other car rental companies who charge what they say they will, like Enterprise. They are honest with their customers. Avis cannot be trusted to tell the truth or care that their customers are satisfied with the entire experience.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information