Avis

• 2%
  • 3%
  • 93%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Reviewed June 6, 2024

Hello, my name is Antonio **, membership # **, phone number, I am a regular customer of Avis, you can check my account with you, but in my last rental they informed me that I have been placed on the list of no rentals and I want to know what happened, an explanation because definitely There is an error or a misunderstanding, please review the situation. I want to continue being part of Avis and I am sure an error has occurred. I have never delivered any car late and much less have I stopped paying for it. They told me by phone I expect a response and solution positive, thank you very much. If you can give me a phone number or give me a call to find out what has happened. Avis...

Reviewed May 25, 2024

Oakland International Airport. We needed a large car to seat 6, so an SUV. The rental clerk didn't let us choose from what was available. (We only saw cars we would have preferred as we were on the lot going to the car we were assigned.) On the interior window of our car, there was a removable sticker that said "This vehicle was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected," etc. The car was filthy, filled with crumbs, sticky, and smelled like old food. Disgusting. If we had had more time, we would have returned to the counter to request another vehicle. When you're shelling out hundreds of dollars, you expect a clean interior. Not a great experience.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Verified purchase

Reviewed May 8, 2024

BE AWARE! UNDISCLOSURED INFO AND HIDDEN FEES! We booked and FULLY PREPAID 1 month and returned early, thinking we are not asking for a refund for the non-used days. They told us that we will NOT get a refund for the non-used days when we return, and we accept that. But come home, there is a $361.68 charge, called back today (4 days later because there is a weekend in between), were told now the monthly rate becomes weekly rate so it is higher, now I owe them. If YOU TOLD ME I WOULD OWE MORE, I WOULD DROVE OFF WITHOUT RETURNING AND COME BACK AGAIN TODAY!

I have fully prepaid for the entire month. Why you only told me that I won't get a refund for the non-used days, instead of inform us that we will be charged extra? And they pushed me to 800 customer service number, the lady also said, "No, NOTHING WE CAN DO, we are taking your $361.68 no doubt, you returned the car early!" I said ok, I can go back get the car, and park in my garage for another 4 days then return, can I get the money back? Now I make up the full month, she said no. THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 29, 2024

Reserved car Avis Savannah. 50 people in line..no cars. Cost me $320.00 in taxi fare to meet my appointment 1 1/2 hour away. Zero concern from Avis after multiple calls. Complained vis social media and BBB. Avis offered $50. Unacceptable.

Reviewed April 24, 2024

BEWARE. Do not JEOPARDIZE HEALTH AND LIFE of your FAMILY renting/buying from AVIS. Rented a Lexus on 3.29.24. I drove round-trip from PA to Orlando, FL on BALD TIRES. Aren't there inspections to avoid this?! Upon return, informed car could not be rented due to bald tires. I was shocked and scared that my family had been in danger the whole time. Informed Avis by email, they deducted $44. $44 for my family's well being and life?! Should a horrible accident occurred is that what they would tell the media?! "Gee, sorry tires were bald. If they come out of coma, we'll deduct 1 day rental. We strive for safety!" No accountability for SAFETY or CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do NOT HARM your family. You've been warned. I certainly have been.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Here is the experience during my recent car rental experience with AVIS. I booked my car rental with AVIS (picking up on APR 6, 2024 at Memphis International Airport, TN and returning in Downtown Nashville, TN on APR 9, 2024). Since my flight was arriving late at night, I chose AVIS because its desk is open until 1:30 AM. In order to secure a rental, I paid in advance.

I arrived at the AVIS desk at Memphis International around 11:00 PM, APR 6, 2024. AVIS rep told me that they were overbooked and no car was available. He suggested taking UBER or LIFT for further transportation. He did not provide any explanation why prepaid, i.e. already purchased product/service was given away to someone else. Instead for further questions he gave an AVIS booklet with several 1800 numbers. He also suggested to come back in the morning to check if rental car would be available.

We waited for 40 minutes for the Lift driver and rode 30 miles to my final destination, Cordova, TN. Upon arrival I called the AVIS customer care desk (1800 number) and was told to call back in the morning (8 AM). Representative also suggested filing a complaint online, which I did. I received a couple of standard email messages with suggestions to call back to Customer Service at 1-800 number.

I called in the morning (8:15 AM) again and talked to rep who explained to me that according to inventory 6 cars are available at Memphis International but I must to arrive in person to confirm that. He was not able to contact AVIS at Memphis International since they did not pick up the telephone. I can confirm that. Tried to do it by myself with similar results. As an alternative to avoid coming back to Memphis International, Rick checked out local AVIS inventory in Cordova, TN location. However, this approach was not feasible because this location does not provide one-way rental. Rick could not explain why. He transferred me to another rep named Alex.

Alex told me that he is from the billing department and could not help me with rental, but will provide me with compensation for inconvenience. He said that it will come in the form of an email message with explanations in an hour. He verified my email address and telephone number. Never received such an email message from AVIS. He also refused to transfer me back to customer care. Instead of that he provided a couple 1-800 numbers (1-866-806-3637 and 1-866-5257521). Neither of them worked. This representative was not polite and cooperative at all.

I called back and talked to Tamara who did not provide any assistance at all and transferred me to supervisor per my request. He was very polite and cooperative. He confirmed that to receive one way rental I had to go back to Memphis International. In order to address the issue he suggested transferring me to another group at AVIS. He also offered me to be present at the conference call with them and assist. Never happened. I was transferred to the rep, who told me that no cars were available to me in the entire Memphis metro area. Per my request she transferred me to the supervisor. This person was pretty rude and uncooperative. She confirmed that no cars were available in the inventory and I had two options: go back to Memphis International AVIS location (30 miles from me) and check availability or to receive a full refund and get a car rental somewhere else.

As a "courtesy", she tried to contact the Memphis International AVIS location with no response. I was also provided with reference number. The message was pretty clear: No cars are available for you at AVIS and it is your problem with your further transportation. Per my request to talk with her supervisor I was told that she was supervisor on duty and the highest level of AVIS authority at that time.

After spending almost two and half hours on the telephone with AVIS representatives I decided to go back to Memphis International on my own. I arrived there around 11:00 AM on APR 7, 2024. Just for clarification, I did not use the rental car which I had paid for almost a day and it was not my fault. Noone offered me any compensation. Instead of that I was suggested to take care of my transportation by myself and on my own expenses. Upon arrival I was given a car pretty quickly. Representative at the desk assured me that the car had CarPlay option capabilities for using GPS from my phone. It was very important for safe driving in unknown geographical area.

The booklet indicated the car was parked in space number: D16. It was Hyundai Tucson and had all the capabilities needed. The Exit representative informed me that it was the wrong car and I must drive around the airport to return it. When I arrived, the Toyota Corolla was parked in the D16 car space. This car did not have any CarPlay capabilities which I was promised. With this car I found right after I left the car rental garage that fuel was extremely low and the tank was almost empty. I had to go back and ask for the other car. I was told that I probably have to wait. The third car (Chevrolet Malibu) provided in 15 minutes worked ok. No apologies were provided. I spent two hours at Memphis International AVIS facility. I was happy to leave as soon as possible.

Two days later (AP 9, 2024) at AVIS Nashville downtown drop off went pretty smoothly. However, to my question why the prepaid amount increased for 22 dollars more, the representative did not provide any answer. I was also not offered any courtesy lift to my hotel. Even though it was only a mile away from AVIS. I was under the impression such courtesy is an industry standard for major car rental companies provided in big metro areas. Later on I was contacted by two AVIS representatives. I responded to both with request for investigation. No response was received back.

According to my rental car experience with AVIS, this organization's operations do not work properly, have many gaps, and deficiencies in customer care. Representatives do not care about customer's needs, provided a lot of misdirections and controversial information. The appropriate communication between the central customer care group and AVIS locations are almost absent. AVIS employees I dealt with did not express any empathy to me as a client and did not provide enough efforts to resolve issues I experienced. I spent almost a day trying to get the car which I already paid for, without any compensation. The compensation for my additional transportation costs was not addressed either. Nobody really apologized to me.

Profile pic of the author.
      Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 16, 2024

Rented a vehicle for our vacation through the Costco/Avis in March 2024. Promised a Rav4, at a reasonable rate ($481) for 9 days out of Tampa. At the counter we had to wait almost 2 hours to get up to the counter. I was charged 700ish at the counter of which I was told 200 was our deposit that we would get back after it was returned in good condition. They stuck us in a Ford Flex, not at all the Rav4 that was promised despite there being other Rav4's in the parking garage. Lo and behold after the trip was over looking at my credit card charges to see no refund of the 200 that the counterperson said I would receive. Called Avis to inquire, they told me that because I was "late" to the counter, which was their fault due to lines/inadequate staffing, I HAD to be upgraded and that I assumed the upcharge in vehicle because I was late to my reservation. In all my car rental history, I have never had this happen. Will never rent from Avis again.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed April 16, 2024

We rented a car by Avis/Payless from March 27 till April 12, 2024. After 10 hrs flight we arrived at the Avis Counter where we were told by a very rude, arrogant woman that our insurance does not cover all risks. The insurance coverage which was proposed by Avis when booking the car. You sign for the insurance we suggest or no car, no discussion. We had no choice; we need the car. What a deceptive and extortionate behavior from a person we would not like to have any contact privately. What a vocabulary, what a disrespectful behavior. We had a hard time to stay polite. What an immoral business practice, do they really need it? Apparently yes. Well, we don't and therefore, never ever Avis again.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Vehicle Rental Experience: A Cautionary Tale

Preamble: A loyal customer with over 1000 rentals and a top-tier membership status, I expected to redeem my 36,000 points for a simple one-way truck rental from Las Vegas to Raleigh.

Objective: Leverage loyalty points for a cost-effective, one-way rental.

Experience: The company’s app malfunctioned, and in-person assistance led to hours of wasted time, conflicting information, and a refusal to honor my points. Customer service (telephone) was a carousel of incompetence, with representatives providing false information, refused to speak with supervisors, and calls ending in hang-ups.

Conclusion: Avis’s disregard for customer loyalty and absence of a complaint department is unacceptable. The final insult was an erroneous charge of $1400 for a service quoted at $850 that was never correctly provided. Avis’s failure to rectify their mistake or offer a genuine resolution is indicative of a systemic issue within their customer service operations.

Final Verdict: Avoid Avis at all costs. Their outsourced customer service lacks empowerment and accountability, leading to a frustrating and fruitless experience. In my case it was a downright illegal theft venture by a well-known company. Test what I say is true, call yourself and ask to speak with a complaint department, not customer service as customer service will not help you if you find yourself in a situation like mine.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I've had this reservation for months. Prepaid. I provided all flight info just to arrive at the airport and wait for HOURS for a car. Supposedly being cleaned. Because it's prepaid I can't even cancel & go elsewhere. I will never book with them again. I'd rather take a damn Lyft everywhere than lose so much time. I should be with my family right now. Not sitting at the damn airport.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, The Car Coach®, is a nationally recognized automotive expert, sector analyst, journalist, author, keynote speaker and television host. A trusted car expert, Lauren provides an insider’s perspective on a wide range of automotive topics and aspects, energy, industry, consumer news and safety issues. Her analysis is honest and straightforward. Lauren is the CEO of Automotive Aspects and the Editor-in-Chief of Car Coach Reports, a global automotive news outlet. She is an automotive contributor to national and local television news shows including Fox News, Fox Business, CNN International, The Weather Channel, Inside Edition, Local Now News, NewsMax, The Daily Flash show and more.

Avis Company Information