2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: July 28, 2020

I went through Priceline to rent a car through Avis two Saturdays ago from Portland PDX to Eugene PDX and was charged an extra days rental even though I returned the car 7 hours early. There was no one at the check-in counter so I did what the envelope says and wrote down the time, mileage, date and location of my return. They charged me an extra day because the next day their counter person came to work 2 hours after my return time and checked the car in at that time which made it late. I called them and they stated clearly that none of what I told them mattered and they stood by their charge. No satisfaction, no refund, just an email from the supervisor telling me I'm ** out of luck. Never rent from them. I never will again...

Original review: July 25, 2020

Bait and Switch and the car left us stranded. We rented a car from the Avis at LAX for our vacation about 2 1/2 hours ago. Despite having a reservation we had to wait in line for 30 mins just to be told that the full-sized sedan we rented would be twice the price that we reserved it for ones they tacked on all the fees. Since we had waited so long and it was getting late we decided to just take the car.

We drove to our hotel, changed clothes and were going to head to the beach when...the car wouldn’t start. I contacted roadside assistance and they told me I would have to wait until morning and they would get a tow truck out and Uber me to the nearest Avis to switch out the car. I told them we paid for the car and needed one tonight. They told me they would send the tow truck (would be about an 1 hour to 90 mins) and once I gave him the keys they would Uber me to the Avis. Tow truck came and took the car. I called back to request that they get me to the Avis to get a new car and could not get through to anyone or was hung up on 3 times. So I paid to Lyft myself to the Avis, the tow truck guy said he was taking it to to get another car.

Lyfted to John Wayne airport Avis and they said they hadn’t received the car and had no record of anyone towing even though I gave them my originals paperwork and the reference number their roadside assistance gave me. I asked for the customer service number to see about some reimbursement and was told that they were closed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they hung up on me. I am livid! My wife and 3 children were looking forward to starting our vacation at the beach and instead we are stranded at the hotel. Horrible experience and company from start to finish. And it isn’t even over yet. It’s been 3 hours and I’ve had it. Just flat out inept and unprofessional business.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2020

We rented a van from Avis for a personal trip with our children. Half way through our trip the van would not start however the dashboard would come on so we knew the battery was not dead. We called Avis and they sent a tow truck but would not bring us a replacement vehicle stating that we needed to get to the rental place ourselves to pick one up which was impossible. We ended up renting another vehicle from another company to finish our trip. Upon arriving home we have been contacted every day asking us to return the van. The customer service reps have no idea what they are talking about when we try to talk to them to resolve the issue. Overall it has been the most frustrating experience with renting a vehicle we have ever had. I would definitely recommend NEVER using Avis.

Original review: July 23, 2020

We were supposed to rent a car for a trip in July 2020, but we had to cancel because of covid. Avis assured us our money would be returned in 5 to 7 business days. That came and went, so we called again and were told again our money would be returned within 5 to 7 business days. That came and went so we called again...and despite the worker saying the computer system wouldn't work right, he kept assuring us that he will get us our money in 5 to 7 business days. We're not very confident...and we definitely will not be using Avis when we reschedule our trip.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Hi, I rented a car from Charlotte Pineville office on 7/18/2020 to Columbus Ohio with drop of date of 7/19/2020 12.30 pm. I was suppose to get rental car at 10.30 am but I have been told to come again at 11.15 am and when I visited again at 11.15 am they Avis people again asked to come at 12.15 pm. When I visited again at 12.15 pm they again asked me to come at 1 pm. When I visited at 1 pm there was still no car available and when I waited there for 15 min I finally got a car.

I have been told that there will be no additional charges than 61$. When I dropped off the same car at Columbus they said I need to pay 1000$ as I drove from Charlotte NC to California around 3500 miles. I told them I drop for few hours and this reservation is for 1 day only and there is no way to go to California in a day and come back to Columbus. After these details they corrected their document and asked me to pay for another 100$. I booked it through my corporate code. This is a complete ridiculous experience with Avis. I will never take AVIS car and recommend everyone in my office & friends to stay away from Avis.

Pratyoosh

Original review: July 17, 2020

Reserved an suv 3 weeks prior to pick up day and received confirmation number. Went to pick up vehicle and were told it was rented out before we arrived by “she” whoever he was referring to. Had no other suv to give us the day we are leaving for OBX. Called nat’l number and was placed on hold for supervisor. On hold for 10 minutes someone picked up, said nothing as I was repeatedly saying hello then hung up on. The person at the place we were to pick it up told us to go to Enterprise which is exactly what we did. STAY FAR AWAY from AVIS!!! They are a joke. I don’t know how they’re in business. Follow their advice, GO TO ENTERPRISE.

Original review: July 11, 2020

We rented 2 cars from an airport Avis. We waited 45 min for a shuttle while other company shuttles kept rounding. Driver said they were short staffed. We waited standing in line an hour even though we had a paid reservation. They said we had to rent one of the cars for a weekend and would not allow us to rent it for a day. They would not give us a refund for an early return of the car but said they would gladly take the car anyway for early return at an alternative location. We had recently rented from Enterprise for an entirely opposite experience. Fast service and car delivered to us. Early return and we were only charged for days used. Also rates much better. We would have used them again but they had no cars available on this particular day. Do not go to Avis unless you are desperate and want to pay more money.

Original review: June 21, 2020

I would like to start off by saying I had no choice but to give one star or my complaint would not be processed there are no stars for this company in my eyes. I rented a Kia out of the Worcester Mass location horrendous experience I paid the first week and put a hold of $100. The following week charges were pulled on my bank on two different amounts totaling $400. Which were not even the amounts totaling that were pertaining to the 137.00 a week. I contacted customer support who told me to contact the Worcester office which never answered the phone and switched me back over to the corporate office. Meanwhile I'm trying to contact this corporate office.

I still have the vehicle and they've overcharged me at this point I was trying to return the vehicle and 3 days later I see a charge hold on my bank account for approx. $748.00. When I contacted corporate they stated those were charges as I did not return the vehicle after the week or I did not contact customer service at their corporate to rent the vehicle for the following week. I did contact them which I have documented and I emailed them and I emailed the Worcester location asking for help and why would I authorized them to take another $137 out of my account when they pulled $400 off my account already? One call I made a

Customer service said that she did not see any charges taken. And another call at one point out of my 19 phone calls the customer service told me I've never rented a vehicle from them my name was not showing anywhere in the system.

I called back the following day and this time the answer I got from the $748.00 was that I was going to be receiving a letter and I will see a charge for $60 for a demand notice and filed charges for theft of vehicle. I drove down to return the vehicle the office was closed I called I got sent over to customer service who told me I could not return the car unless someone was there yet to drive down tomorrow if I cannot get in touch with them because they weren't sure who was going to be there or what days do to The Covid. I took pictures left a note in their mailbox and called customer service back to let them know I was leaving the vehicle as I had already overpaid for this car and was not getting charged another week. The following day I saw a $60 miscellaneous charge and figured they were going to try to come after me for the vehicle which I explained to them I was leaving at the Worcester location. They charged and pulled off my bank account for 748.00.

I filed a dispute with my bank and as of today Avis is still disputing they owe any money. I received a $255 credit from them for overcharging but they still would have owed me much more than that even though their name Avis has been around for a long time. Company's management changes structurally financially or you just get mismanaged internal employees whatever it may be I am very leery to rent any vehicle due to this mess and more so they did not stand behind their customer when they knew they were at fault. I still have the thought in the back of my head to contact Channel 5 and file an investigation for all the other people out there wanting to rent from Avis

Original review: June 18, 2020

So I have continuously tried getting a hold of a manager at Avis Car Rental trying to get reimburse for 2 nights in a hotel that they said they would reimburse us and yet to hear anything. On the way home from helping move my mom they hit a deer. Called Avis right away. They told us they would get the car towed but the guys would have to find their own way to the hotel. Are you joking? In the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere. So they asked the officer that showed up if he could give them a ride. He was nice enough not only give them a ride but take them there and then go back a sit with the car and wait for the tow truck. They were supposed to have a rental at the hotel Sunday morning. That didn't happen. After 3 phone called and the last one I spent an hour and a half getting it resolved to get a car out there most of the time on hold. Finally they got a car out there but at 8 pm that night!

We then returned the car Monday the day we got back. We returned it with a full tank of gas. I called to get the receipt and they tried charging me an extra day of rental and a refuel fee. Are you joking? I flipped so they took those off. But still out $200 for the hotel stays. I am so beyond frustrated with them. Will never rent from them again. Let's just say a 2 day trip turned into a 4 days nightmare. Still a week later haven't heard from a manager that they said would call me back within 24 to 48 hours. They sent me an email asking me to take a survey on how they did. I GIVE YOU A BIG FAT ZERO.... Avis Car Rental I will NEVER rent from you again and I will NEVER recommend you to anyone!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

I rented a car in this agency in February 2020. The car did not correspond to what I had asked but that is a classic. The rest was just a series of troubles. I rented the car for 10 days and decided to keep it for another day. So I called the Hornby Street agency and I was confirmed by phone that it was OK, I will pay that extra day when I return the car. I still asked for confirmation by email which never arrived. So I wrote on the Avis Canada website via their "chat" service and I was confirmed that it was OK but that I will not receive confirmation that it is impossible because of the system. Of course, when I returned the car, I paid this extra day, it was normal, but at a higher rate, as if I had not warned.

Much more serious: my deposit of 350 $ CAN never returned to me (we are 4 months later). I tried to call Avis at home in Switzerland and I was first told that it was Because of COVID. Then I was told that it was to pay for the extra day, which I had already paid. Since then, I have been desperately trying to get this deposit refunded but NOTICE is impossible to reach. Their call center in Morocco is run by people who don't have microphones that don't let you speak in. Their whole system is a scam and they count on people getting discouraged. Run away!!!

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information