Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Had a reservation at Avis LAX through Costco. Desk staff told me to go to parking spot P12 to get my mid size car and was big truck in that spot, so then sent me to spot E28 where there was no car. Supervisor in parking lot gave me other car but when went to take car said could not give me that car. Went back to office, sent me again to another parking spot but once again no car in spot.

Now back to office for 5th time. Lady in charge said I would need to wait for manager who never came and told me "she would do me a favor to help me". I then called their 800 phone number explaining had reservation books thru Costco and they said no cars available I would need to go to Burbank Airport to get a car. I left with no car. This was the worst customer experience I have ever had and only thing worse was the horrible attitude of employees with no one caring. Other people at desk complaining about same issues. Would give them the maximum number of minus stars.

I flew in from Atlanta to Detroit Metropolitan Airport, which is a 2 hour flight. I get to Avis and there is, 30-35 people in line, with only 2 people working. Avis has to know the number of reservations they have. They need to staff accordingly. My wait was an hour and a half. Unacceptable!!

We rented with family, one vehicle was disgusting dirty, had beef jerky coming out of the vents, food spilled inside that was not cleaned and smelled like smoke. It took an hour to get the vehicle as a customer had "accidentally driven off with it". The other vehicle (a Corvette), we returned with a full tank of gas and arrived within our 1 hour window, but were charged full price for an extra day as well as GAS in the tune of $70.00! Customer service offered to refund the gas charge. Our rental was due at 8:18 pm (on rental agreement), we returned it within the 1 hour period at 8:59 (stamped on our receipt) as we were stuck in traffic on busy International drive. We were still charged an extra $130+... So a one day rental ended up costing us over $400!! Customer service refused to offer any solution. We will not rent from Avis again.

Picked up a car at Tampa airport. The car was filthy. Smelly and can't see out of the side windows due to the film of dirt. It was a one day rental so let it go. But then went out for dinner and the maintenance light went on. I couldn't reach anyone at Avis to vent my disappointment because they were closed. Posted on their site and got an email that they'd get back in two or three days Will never rent with Avis again.

Went to pick up my pre-paid for car at my reservation time. I was actually about ten minutes early and they told me they didn't have any cars available. The employee said he actually had 15 reservations that he didn't have cars for that he was trying to get cars. Why do I need to pre-pay my reservation just to get there and get turned away. Also it takes 5-7 days for a refund and I had to call and request my own refund. They should try for a better system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

This is my second time using Avis, the first time I selected a vehicle to accommodate 6 passengers and their luggage but was given one that didn't. Like other car rental services I know the disclaimer that you will get a similar class vehicle but this was not similar. I promised that I would not use Avis again but I'm a Realtor and used Avis again for my discount. On this trip I schedule, I understood that it was very likely that the vehicle I requested would not be available, which it was not, but it was ok, I just needed to accommodate 5 adults and small bags. When I got to the pickup counter I had to wait 45+ minutes at the counter while they were finding a car for me. Then an additional 30+ minutes at the customer service counter in the garage waiting for them to bring the car. This wait was unacceptable for a reservation 5 weeks in advance.

The vehicle was dirty on the inside, dirty on the front passenger side floor, like crumble crackers. I had no time for them to clean it, I had to go. Upon exiting the garage and getting on the highway the car was pulling to the right, I stop to inspect the tires and everything seemed normal, plus there were no warning lights in the car. Later during the drive to my destination the tire became flat on the highway. I called roadside assistance and had to wait 30 minutes before speaking to someone, she told me that they will find a someone and notify me, then it would take at least at hour before help arrives after that. After 30 minutes of waiting for the text or contact, I was stuck on the road for more than a hour and a half with no roadside assistance before I was able to get on my way by changing the tire myself.

They have no customer service, literally. There's three numbers, Reservations, E-Toll support, and Roadside Service. None were able to provide assistance. As I continued my drive to my destination I wanted the tire fixed in the morning. The reservation numbers couldn't help, no customer service there at that time, no manager. The roadside assistance finally found a number to help but I would have to call at 7:30AM. I called that number at 7:30AM the and they couldn't help. I had to call back Roadside assistance. They told me to take the car to Orlando Airport and ASSURED me another vehicle would be waiting.

I took the vehicle back to Orlando Airport, no vehicle was waiting for me. I had to wait almost two hours. While waiting I call many of the toll free numbers, no one could help. This was crazy, an awful experience, at no point was I ever provide adequate assistance. On my receipt, I was charged $46.xx for gas on the return to Orlando. I trying to get a refund of that charge. A rep at the counter in Ft. Lauderdale only said I prepaid and that it would be refund via check, I fell for the check in the mail trick. No check, no one to call to follow up. No one knows who can help.

This was the WORST car rental experience of my lifetime. Even worse was the fact that I am a preferred customer. I entered the facility at 4:30pm and didn't drive off the lot until 5:30pm. Even worse than that, we had a regular rental and that person didn't get off the lot till 6:30pm. I might not have been that quick to get off the lot if I hadn't walked out on the lot and found my rental vehicle and asked someone to take care of processing it. Whomever runs that location needs to review how they process customers and to understand that there was absolutely NOTHING going on with the staff that indicated that they even cared about the fact that the line was extremely long and it wasn't going anywhere fast.

On many an occasion, staff simply walked away from the counter not to return to the counter 10-20 minutes later. The person who served me Joe had zero understanding of how to provide a service to the customer, and there is a clear need to change who manages that location and what their policies are. This was a clear example of we work 9-5, we don't really care about the company let along the customer and I can take my breaks regardless of the lines waiting to be served. I couldn't say this for sure, but I'm willing to bet that Joe messed with my reservation because it required the van to be cleaned and washed before they brought it out to me. They did this in spite of the fact that there were 7 vans on that lot ready to be rented. He is a glaring example of an agent who doesn't put the customer first. There is no question in my mind that ANYONE going through that experience will choose another company the next time they go through JFK.

I have rented yesterday a car @ Faro Airport. The car is very damaged, smelly interior, sticky steering wheel, not clean. I have requested Jorge, the manager, for an alternative car but only possible with an upgrade of around € 700,- plus. Refund to find another car with other company not possible because I booked via Expedia. I am not used of having this kind of cars and service from Avis. Perhaps you can retrieve some learnings from my experience with your company. I will remove Avis off my company preferred supplier list.

Ordered a passenger van. It was suppose to be there by 9am. I got to Avis an hour early to make sure there wouldn't be any issues. The vehicle didn't get there until 10am. When trying to pay ahead online, every person I spoke with said they were unable to change the dates and I'd have to pay the full amount, when I was suppose to get 30% off what they advertised. They proceeded to tell me pay the full amount and they would reimburse me. Ha! Well that didn't happen. They offered a $10 when it should have been $163. Forgot to mention, I got the vehicle and inside was dirty with grass clippings, dirt clumps and a few candy bar wrappers on the floor. Granted that was the least of my worries, but these characters were a joke and will never get my business again.

For a holiday in Menorca I booked my 7 day car hire prior to travel from the UK for £133.42. However picking up the vehicle at Mahon Airport Menorca (Avis Spain) I feeI I was greatly misled & duped by the commission obsessed sales staff into paying an extortionate amount extra for needless & unexplained insurance protection. There was no initial breakdown shown to me to explain the various insurance products or their individual costs. This brought the eventual total for 7 days hire of just a Mini Cooper to €547.31! I decided to try Avis on this occasion as I am a Virgin Trains employee & so wished to take advantage of the 25% discount available to me but instead I feel cheated & manipulated.

My anger & frustration was further exacerbated by discussing the situation with other holidaymakers who had not encountered such problems or inflated costs with their respective car hire (Thrifty, Hertz, Europcar & Enterprise). At no time was there any clarification from the Avis staff regarding the optional insurance extras. The bottom line is I feel I was mis-sold unnecessary insurance without explanation to why it was required. This was a litmus test for me as I also intended to use Avis to hire a vehicle at Brisbane Airport for 10 days later this year. Prior to this experience I assumed Avis to be a professional & respected organisation, however I have since done some research & found this not to be the case. As many complaints similar to mine have been attributed to the company! It's back to Hertz for me in future!

I rent a van from Avis at Corpus Christi TX. on July 10 to make a trip to California but after drive about 50 miles I found out that the front tire was leaking at that time. I noticed that the front tires was completely worn out and it was very dangerous to continue driving especially for a 3000 miles drive. It was no jack in the vehicle to change to spare tire so I continue driving and stop at every gas station on the road to San Antonio, so A trip that takes around 2hrs. It takes me 6 hrs and I have to Spend about $12 on air pumps at the gas stations. I call the Avis road assistance and they told me it will take about 2 hrs to get to where I so they instruct me to take the vehicle to San Antonio airport for replacement.

After 6hr. Driving I arrived to the airport. I found a very long line and spend 1 1/2 hrs to get the vehicle exchange. When the person in charge saw the tires he just move his head and told me that he will just get me another vehicle. When I return the vehicle I complain and ask them for some kind of credit for all the time money and problems that I had but Avis supervisor told me that they didn't found the tires in bad condition and they just rent that vehicle again with bad tires. He also told me that Avis will not give me any credit for all the time & money that I spend while taking their vehicle back. Avis doesn't care for customer safety. They just want to make money. Do not risk you or your family renting from Avis.

My reservation and pick up car from Chicago was very good and very nice. But the car return was the worse in my whole life. I returned my car to the Avis office on 1400 Bethel Road in Columbus, Ohio, the manger was an old lady and the staff was her son. both speak unprofessional English language (street language). I returned the car. Everything was ok. I asked the lady "could you drop me close to my house", she said "yes but as you see we are busy taking care of customer", it was around 5:30 pm and she said "at 6:00 pm and we can drop you off close to your house." I waited till 6:00 pm, they were busy talking with customer on the phone and some people were returning the car just like me, I did not say anything.

At 6:30 pm I talked with the lady manager, and she said "you could not hold of anybody to give you ride??? I said "no, because you told me we will close at 6;00 pm and we will give you ride!!!" Then the son (employee of the mother) interfered UN-respectfully. "You can take a cab or Uber... it is only couple of dollars (with his street language)???" I said "but why you told me to wait until closing", the mother said "it might take another hr or more???" The shop should close at 6;00 pm. I left the office at around 6:45 pm walking to my home. I will never ever do business with this shop of Avis at 1400 Bethel Road, Columbus, Ohio.

I booked a van on the site on 7/7/17. The rental agreement clearly showed unlimited mileage. I have a copy of the agreement. A week later when online to the site and entered my reservation number the agreement did no longer showed unlimited mileage. I booked this rental through our Insurance company. I had them on the line and they verified what I was seeing online as well. Avis insisted that they still saw it as unlimited but it was not showing that way online anymore. They put us on hold to talk to a supervisor. After waiting for what seemed to be at least 10 minutes, my insurance representative and I decided to go to another company. I decided not to take the chance to arrive at the Avis location on the day of my vacation and find the Avis agent seeing online that it was not unlimited and not honoring my original agreement.

I rented a car from the Toronto Bay Centre office to be returned a day later to London. With full insurance the cost for a day was quoted as $154.00, which was higher than expected, but I chose the full coverage. What I did not know was that the clock was ticking from the time I picked up the papers in the office, AND the actual pick-up location was in a basement garage that I had to find myself. By the time I misunderstood the directions and signage, and wandered around the wrong level, almost half an hour passed before I actually drove away with the car. The following day, I encountered some unexpected traffic due to road construction, and after refueling, returned the car about 45 minutes late. There was no consideration for the circumstances, or for the fact that I had actually driven the car off the lot half an hour after the time indicated on the paper work.

I was charged an extra $100.00 for the 45 minutes. This included a $37.00 penalty plus percentages of all the coverage and taxes. Due to the fact that I had signed the contract, I have no recourse, but consumers should know that this company is willing to set up the contract to be unfair to the consumer, and then will be rigid and unforgiving in enforcing its terms. You should not only read all the fine print, but you should question it, refuse to sign until you actually have the car, and play hard ball with these people. I really regretted having dealt with this company. I have dealt with other companies who were much more reasonable and fair.

If I could, I would rate this company a zero. I booked a rental and insurance as a package through Expedia. All was fine until I reached the Avis counter in France where I was told I had no insurance. The guy was straightforward that told me that unless I took the insurance (E216.36), I would be responsible for the total cost of the car should I have an accident. I took the insurance. When I got home, I realized that Avis overcharged me nearly twice what I initially paid on-line. The woman on the phone was a "witch" and told me that all the charges were valid. I asked for an itemized bill and was told it would be e-mailed to me. It wasn't. I will NEVER use Avis again and am telling everyone I know about my experience.

I try to only rent with ENTERPRISE, and after dealing with other rental car companies... I appreciate Enterprise more. I rented with AVIS in MO and dropped in IN 4 days later. I had to be late to work because the Avis office at IN had no drop off box. Then I got my receipt, that I MISPLACED, my fault. I called to get my receipt, and it seems when they had trouble locating it, they hung up on me. So I called a total of 6 times, and on hold for 6 to 14 minutes.

Now I NEVER got an attitude till the last call. I got ahold of a representative and asked instantly to talk to his supervisor. He wouldn't give me his supervisor but kept asking questions to take care of me. I will give him credit. HE actually was able to get my receipt to me. Now my receipt for 4 days for an $18/day rental was $782.77. Our company has us waive the insurance, but the representative told me I had to take the insurance to get the better deal. I found out when I paid that the Insurance, was $234!! There was a bunch of Fees I never heard of like Energy Recovery Fee, Arena Fund, Concession Recovery Fee, Optional Products/Services. This ** added up to $205. Then I paid the HIGHEST one-way fee I have ever paid... $300, for the grand total of $782.77. I will walk before dealing with this crap again.

BUDGET is their sister company. My experience with them once again was in MO. I went out and picked a car with dark interior. The steering wheel, dash and even the inside of the windshield was nasty. I went to climb out, to find another car. There was another customer coming towards the car beside mine. I asked him if his car was dirty too. He stated the car he just left has Blood covering the back seat. I decided my car was doable then and just stopped off for some car cleaners. I have NEVER experienced these problems EVER with Enterprise, and can easily get my missing receipt from the web with my driver's license number. No sitting on hold, no being hung up on, no needing EVERY single bit of information... Just look at my Driver's License for the number!!

I made a online car rental reservation at avis.com for June 24, 2017 one day. I paid the total amount with my credit card and got the confirmation e-mail. I went to pick up point one day before the pick up date to make sure that there is no problem with the rental car, because that trip was very important to me. They said it seems there were no problem.

Finally, when the pickup time came, I went to same point to pick up the rental car. Staff said (in a very arrogant way) they don't have a car at the moment and there is nothing that they could do. Then I called customer center of AVIS and reported the case, but they also said the same thing, and offered me a more expensive one from another location that is really away from there. I didn't accept, and just hanged up the phone. They charged the total amount from my credit card, I didn't get the car though. They made my day really terrible and I couldn't make my appointment because of them, but AVIS never minds.

Car Rental-Florence Italy: The office had no air conditioning or fans for the customers, but there were for the employees. The wait time was 2 hours, which they charged me for that time while we waited after our reservation time, which then led to us being charged for an extra day. We did have an issue of turning the wrong way in Rome trying to get to our hotel. The company decided to charge us a 35 Euro Administrative Fee and then 7.7 Euro VAT for transferring the traffic ticket to the Italian authorities. In hindsight, we should have gone to a more dependable company that provides a decent customer service level and runs their business on time within reason versus the cheaper option. As you can see, the cost savings was eaten up by all of our hassles.

Reserved 7 seat Grand Caravan. On arrival to pick up vehicle, I was told, only available vehicle available was a 12 seat van and Hyundai Santa Fe. I did not want a 12 seat vehicle. I had 4 elderly passengers and they could not fit comfortably in the Hyundai. I was told there was nothing that could be done. When I returned the vehicle, I returned it with a full tank of gas. I was charged for gas. I was told I had to go to another location to an Avis window to address the charge. I waited 30 minutes in line. When it was my turn I was told I would be mailed a check and it would take at least 3 weeks. My first and last name was incorrectly spelled in the computer. I requested it be corrected. The Avis representative said she could not change it. I hope the check Avis mails me will have my correct spelling of my name. I will never deal with Avis again.

Very disappointed in their Customer service. I paid 300 for a week full size vehicle... I went to pay for another week for the car. They said I couldn't do it, closed me out and then the representative said, "Let me try again," being rude and nasty. To make a long story short I end up paying 140 more dollars for a smaller vehicle for the same period of time while the whole time the representative had a big ole smile on his face.

Hired a car from Avis through their agent Auto Europe (no problem with them) at the end of 2016 for an Avis hire car for a period of 33 days, collect at Edinburgh airport on the 23rd May 2017 and return same place 25th June 2017. Arrived at the airport after a long flight from Australia, we are a senior couple and husband could not locate his glasses. Avis employee starts rhyming off all these supposedly "optional" extras for damages, theft etc and since we had all of that covered with travel insurance, declined the offers.

Also "optional" was to take the vehicle with full tank and return the same or take full and return empty which would mean a charge. We choose to take full and return full. Husband was asked to sign and regrettably trusted Avis thinking he was signing to take delivery of the vehicle. We questioned why the receipt said hire period until the 22nd June when we had paid until the 25th and the reply was, "Oh don't worry about that as the computer only allows me to go as far as the 30 days!!"

We return the car, full tank on the 25th June and return home only to find we have been charged $633.40 AUD for all the extras we refused plus charged for the fuel despite the fact we returned it full and a late charge for returning vehicle 3 days late?? We have contacted Avis with no success, Auto Europe trying to assist but they being the agent are now at the mercy of Avis. Managed to find the email for the Avis CEO almost 1 week ago, finally received a reply saying we had in fact returned the car 3 days late so the charges were correct. How is that possible when we paid for a hire period until the 25th June? We intend to take the matter further, so stressful and upsetting to go through this. Employee gave us all the so-called "optional" extras despite the fact we declined all the offers as we had no need for them. Makes me wonder if this is the usual for Avis!! Will NEVER hire with them ever again!!

It is my thoughts that as a consumer that all things can be worked out. My wife and I recently flew to Los Angeles. My wife book and rented a car from Avis. The invoice and confirmation number were sent to our email and we printed it out expecting to have a car waiting when we reached LAX airport after a unfortunate baggage problem with an airline I won't mention. When we shuttle to Avis we were told we had to buy Avis Insurance for the car. We told the agent we had full coverage personally, but to no avail so after about an hour we could not receive the car and at 3:00 AM we were force to call Uber. I personally never rented a car before, but dealing with Avis was a bad experience for my wife and I.

On Thursday June 30th I rented a car to go to NY for my family reunion. Mr. ** from the Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh NC is an example of what customer service is all about. He made sure that before I left I drove off with the car I wanted. There wasn't much to choose from because I came late in the day. It also didn't help that the 4th of July weekend was upon us, but he made sure that I was happy with the car he was able to give me. I would recommend anyone to go see Mr. ** located at 4601 Glenwood Ave / Sears Auto Center / Raleigh NC.

I am a traveler from Germany, so naturally I went to my local travel agency to book my flight and rental car. I paid for insurance upfront as well as a GPS for getting around in the U.S. (in Germany prior to flight). Upon my arrival in Louisville, KY. I expected an approximately 10-15 minute session with Avis to get my car. At the airport I was met by my relatives from the U.S. to help me so there was no language barrier. I was greeted by a friendly Avis employee.

After I presented my paperwork, she tried to sell me additional insurance which my travel agency strongly advised not to take since I already paid in advance. I declined naturally, yet she persisted, saying it wasn't on her computer screen. Again, I refused saying I already paid in advance. I mentioned I also paid for a car with GPS which she said I had to pay for it. I told her I already paid in advance it's stated on my paperwork. She said she's looking at my confirmation and it's not listed on her screen. I told her I wasn't going to pay for anything which I have already paid.

At this time, I had been there about 20 minutes and another employee saw we were having difficulties, not raising voices, just the fact we had been there for so long without leaving. When this other lady approached, she asked what the problem was and after we told her our circumstances she got on the computer and made some corrections. She told the previous rep she had to take this off and take that off and other things which made the first rep appear like she maybe wasn't as skilled as she should have been.

So, after all the confusion, I was handed a set of keys to a Toyota Sienna minivan. I was told to go out and look over the car and check for damages. I went out with my family and looked over the vehicle. It was very unclean and smelled badly. It was the only vehicle they had that fit me. I am 6'5" and have a long torso which only a few vehicles fit me where I can see the mirrors and be safe while driving. I should not have taken the vehicle but it was the only one they had I felt comfortable in. We looked over the vehicle which the damages were numerous. In Germany you would not rent a vehicle in such condition. It really is a bad mark against Avis.

We went back inside and the lady wrote down the damages in three short phrases like "scratches on fender" and "damage to rear quarter panel". I guess the days are gone when a service tech goes out with you and looks over the vehicle? I have traveled all over the world including Beijing, Sydney, Dubai, Cairo, San Diego and they all do this (go with you), NOT in Louisville, KY!

Okay, my wife and I get in the car and drive to my wife's sister's house. After a few hours I get to looking at the vehicle and noticed the oil level is low, the gas tank was not topped off, the inside we cleaned with Febreeze, and to top it ALL OFF, there were two bald tires. The front tires were smooth on the outside edges where the tread should be. I took a penny and tested the depth which you could see all of Lincoln's head (not good at all). I felt the vehicle was unsafe to put my family in such a condition that I immediately called Avis and told them of the situation. They said to bring the car back and exchange it.

I went back and exchanged the van for a Chrysler Pacifica. The second rep's attitude was just above rude. She was not friendly. No greeting like, "Hi, welcome to Avis" or "How was your flight?" She answered questions like "this is all we have you take this or that's it." This car was not full with a tank of gas, most fluid levels were at bare minimum standards, windshield wiper fluid was empty, the vehicle had animal hair in back, and the carpets were dirty (seems to be the standard at Avis).

Corporate needs to look at their locations they are serving the public, especially at places with a high volume of rentals. Avis, Louisville, KY airport was the worst rental car place I have ever been to. They try to sell you things you had previously paid for (even after showing my contract). Keep in mind, there were no other people in line behind us, yet other rental agencies had some people in line. Maybe that was a clue.

Customer service I give a 3 star due to the first rep being so friendly and trying to accommodate me even though she tried to sell me a GPS and insurance (she was probably new). Value I give a 1 star because the first vehicle was dangerous to drive with 2 bald tires and the uncleanliness of both vehicles (not happy at all). Vehicle selection I would give a 4 star because they had a lot of vehicles to choose from, if I was not so tall. No one probably reads this review and thinks to themselves that this will be their experience. THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that I will never rent from Avis again. If all they care about is the bottom line instead of customer service and satisfaction then so be it! I have watched this show called Undercover Boss in the U.S.A. and think Avis would benefit greatly from this experience. Try renting a car from Louisville, KY airport AVIS!

Their pricing structure penalizes you for renting the exact same car under their Preferred Program. I consistently pay more than $100 more for the exact same car rental, as a business owner than I do as an individual logged into the system randomly. Customer service is vague and deceptive. AVOID this rental company at all cost.

We flew 11 hours. Arrived at Heathrow airport to pick up our reserved car at Avis! The process of picking up the car took me over an hour. After we finally received the car found not only the baby seat we get very filthy but child lock on the door were not working. When we asked why, The first helper from Avis gave us a thick manual telling me I may find out how it works if I read through the book! (Great! After 11 hours flight with 2 young babies! I will sit, read through Bible manual to find out why the child lock on a Ford group car not working!) Then I had to ask the Avis reception to change car, the guy said we cannot guarantee the car we rent out has child lock!!! They eventually changed the car for us. But I will never want to rent car from Avis again for sure! Awful service! We paid 460 for three days car rental which was totally not worthy!

This is the second time in the two months I been to Avis at Heathrow Airport in London to collect a car. On both occasions, I was questioned like I was being interrogated by the police. With a very condescending attitude, like they needed to interview me to see if I was suitable enough to drive off in one of their cars. The second time I wouldn't stand for it and politely told them that they could do better to speak to a paying customer with a little respect. Then the prima donna behind the counter said. "I don't feel comfortable renting a car to you so I'm going to cancel it".

So I asked for the manager, when he came, he seemed exasperated that the car had been cancelled. I noticed him go from terminal to terminal. Then he asked me to wait for a couple of minutes, finally came back and after about 10mins said "We can't rent to you today, your reservation is now cancelled”. I asked why and he said to call the next day for an explanation. I insisted on an explanation then he said that I had abused his colleague and he had witnesses. It was quite late so I left and went to another agency. I don't think the Avis at Heathrow Airport in the UK have any respect for their customers. Especially the ones of **.

I need a receipt for my car rental from Avis Anchorage Alaska airport location. The thermal receipt I received at the airport was not completely readable so that I can expense it off to my company I work for. I have tried their E-receipt web based service. That did not work. All I basically received was a confirmation of my reservation, no receipt. I called the Avis Anchorage Office; A lady I spoke with did send me an RA document which showed what my bill was but it did not show that I had a zero balance due, showing I paid my bill. I called back the Avis support line. They also could not get me a receipt showing I paid my bill.

I was instructed to call the Avis collection dept. the next morning. I called twice. Went thru their prompts waited on the line, no answer. I called Anchorage Alaska office again this morning. The gentleman said he could see I paid my bill, but can't Email a receipt. I called the main customer support number one more time. They said their computer system was not able to see the billing from Anchorage Alaska. I wasted over an hour and a half so far trying to get a readable receipt. What a joke.

MCO Orlando is not the happiest place on Earth - Made a prepaid reservation online for pickup at 10 a.m. The car was almost $500 for the week. We rented a car six weeks earlier for half the price. We began our travel at 3 a.m. and arrived at the Avis counter at 11:00 a.m. We waited in line for 90 minutes. People ahead of us were getting keys, leaving and coming back complaining that the car was wrong. There were 2 workers during a prime busy time. We tried calling customer service from line but were told that they were unaware of the problem. A few minutes later several others in line called customer service and were given the same BS line.

When we got our turn we were told the car we prepaid for was not available. They offered us a bright yellow SUV with Minions all over it. We asked if the counter person if he would drive it and he said "no way". We were told we would have to wait a few minutes for a car that just came in to be cleaned. We were assigned a car at 1 p.m. Three hours after we booked and prepaid for it. We got to the car and proceeded to garage check out. The attendant told us the car did not match the paperwork we were given at the counter. At this point, my husband lost it. He told the guy we were not moving and he needed to make the correction because we were NOT going back to the counter. This was a horrible experience. I will never use AVIS again!

Made an Avis reservation for the week of June 10th with unlimited mileage but had to delay one week to June 18th because of medical issues. We did not notice that when we re-booked with Avis they had changed the unlimited mileage to 22 cents per mile. When we picked up the car the agent did not say anything about any mileage charges, only charges if we did not return the vehicle full. We found out upon returning the vehicle that the charges would be double the quoted rate because of the price gouging for mileage.

They were also trying to charge us a cleaning fee on the vehicle for a few dogs hairs on the carpet. We had to take the vehicle home and fully vacuum it before returning. We unhappily paid the bill and contacted Avis Customer No-Service right away. They reviewed the case and found no reason to adjust the price. We rent from Enterprise all the time and have never had a mileage charge or issue returning a vehicle. I will never use Avis again and will recommend to anyone to avoid this company.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
  • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
  • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
  • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
  • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
  • Best for Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars