2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.6/5 (1458 ratings)

About Avis

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I had trouble checking in, long lines and few customer service representatives. However, Antonio from the Boston Logan International Airport went above and beyond the call of duty to help me check out. I will continue using Avis just because of him. I am also recommending Avis to friends and family because of Antonio. I am happy to have made your acquaintance Antonio, from Brazil! Thank you for your great customer service. I work for Sound Physicians and travel weekly, so I use Avis often. Thank You. ~ Nanette ~

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I got a mini-lease rental from Avis (4 months). During these 4 months, I needed assistance with a few things such as: adding tolls, adding drivers, extending the rental and returning the rental earlier than the end date of the mini-lease. Their customer service answers call in an acceptable time. They helped me with my requests and explained everything in details. I never got the feeling that they want to make money out of the unexpected life events. For example I didn't pay anything extra neither for extending nor for returning the car earlier. Overall, I loved my experience with AVIS rental.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Read a few bad reviews and made me a little nervous renting from Avis. I had a great experience at the Denver airport rental location. Shuttle busses were back to back and and plenty of employees working the desk once we arrived, so there was no line. Super quick process and easy to get our vehicle. Would definitely rent from Avis again.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Avis Rental in Temecula helped me rent a vehicle for AZ when I needed one for just one day and to rent from AZ and return to Temecula when the online websites all said they wouldn't rent for a "one way". Temecula Avis got me a great rate. It was an emergency and she helped me with no questions asked. I definitely would recommend Avis Temecula. When I arrived in AZ Avis there was very understandable. Even the people in line let us get in front of them due to our emergency. Definitely recommend AZ/Phoenix Avis.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Avis car rental in San Diego had cars when the others didn’t have a car. Avis did everything to give discounts to save me money and also immediately upgraded the car when a minor issue surfaced. They are now my go to car rental service. I’m a fan!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

It is a terrible company. They charged me on my credit card for two more days of rent and it is not true and since the return of the vehicle 24 days have passed and they have not been able to money back to my bank account, I made the claim and they only say, "Your case is under investigación." To recognize that they were wrong they need an investigation of almost a month? Avis to charge you they charge you from your bank but not for a credit to your account. I do not recommend this company. Avis does not appear in the list of the 5 best car rental companies, 2021 (see Business Insider) with Enterprise, Hertz, National and Alamo, rent a car at Avis is a nightmare. I do not recommend Avis.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The managers are great and always take care of customers. The airport car rental experience is great. When you don’t find a car they help you. I always use Avis. You can see a difference in service from other car rental places.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

My rental period was established in Philadelphia. It was where I was issued keys to the vehicle as well as a printout of the agreement. I maintained the printout inside the vehicle & keys on my person. I traveled with sibling A to Atlanta in order to visit sibling B. While in Atlanta, we occasionally rode as passengers inside sibling A's car to various locations. During one of these occasions, we visited the Avis rental facility at the Atlanta airport. The purpose of this visit was to add sibling A to my rental agreement so that sibling A could assist with the driving from Atlanta.

We were greeted by an Avis representative who assisted me in the utmost professional & courteous manner. He did not even require a confirmation number or anything. However, before my experience with him, I had approached a different Avis representative whom I attempted a similar request to add sibling A to my rental agreement. She was swift in her dismissal of the possibility of adding an additional driver to my agreement without the numbers included in my agreement printout which I did not have on my person. It was not until a laborious search of the emails of my mobile device & return to the customer counter did I encounter the other Avis representative resulting in a more positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Our rental car developed a flat tire on the way to our mother's funeral in northern Maine. The car had no spare and no jack. Both front tires had no tread and in fact the metal mesh was showing through the rubber. This car was completely unsafe and should never have been rented out in this condition. We were stranded for over 24 hours. We made numerous calls to Avis emergency roadside service and to Avis corporate. No response on our ticket other than to send a tow truck to retrieve their vehicle; they had no interest in helping us secure a replacement vehicle.

With six pieces of luggage we finally hitched a ride down to Bangor Maine where we picked up a rental replacement from the airport. Totally unacceptable. We would like to be compensated for at least one day for lost time on our rental but I have no hope anyone at Avis will cooperate. Even when we escalate issues to a supervisor nothing gets done. We must have made 16 phone calls. Zero follow up. We will never rent from Avis again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I prepaid for a rental car with Avis and had to wait in a 1 hour long line at the Atlanta airport to even pick the car up. The car itself was nice (Honda Accord). However, on return I left personal items in the car truck and called as soon as I landed back to my home destination. Unable to speak to a live person at the location in Atlanta, GA. I was directed to the central line with no assistance at all. I spoke with a supervisor and she told me that I could look online under the lost and found and if I didn't see it to make a claim. I requested to speak with the lost and found department and was told they are only open on Monday-Friday.

Also, I asked if they did not have a direct line to speak with the offices as this was very important information that I left. She told me that she could give me the number again and that I could call. Really, the reason I'm talking to you in the first place is because they don't answer the phone locally. Yes, I take responsibility for leaving my item in the car. However, I should at least be able to speak with the office directly to inquire about any items left behind. This was the worse experience ever. I will not utilize this company again and everyone needs to be aware of this issue as it may happen to you.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information