3.6/5 (1212 ratings)

About Avis

Avis Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I rented a car, they give me a car with an expired tag. The car got towed, and I can't take it out of the tow place because is illegal for me to drive it with an expired tag. I returned the key to the airport but they are not picking up the car or closing my rental, and every time I call them, the representatives are completely rude to me, criticize the company and blame other departments, and no one does anything to solve the problem. Has been 3 days of going to the airport and calling on the phone all day.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Rented Avis car in Rome & 1st thing we noticed was yellow clutch warning light. Went back to advise manager who said he would come to car & see what problem was. Waited for a while & no one came. Yellow light went away & we proceeded on our trip. Clutch issue re appeared in Sorento; called Avis & they picked up car. Their customer care advised no cars available in Sorento & we had no car for 2 days & that we would have to arrange on our own to get another car in Naples but they would credit us for expenses & loss of car for 2 days in Naples. We went to Naples on our own & went to their service department & they said to go right to lot. Their rep at lots gave us another car, made us sign papers & when we asked for our credit we were advised we would get it when we dropped car off in Florence.

Returned car in Florence, we were shocked that they could not provide credit & billed us again for another car that we had picked up in Naples. Called & complained when we got back but no one willing to address issue of double billing & credit promised as they had to contact their rep in Italy. Definitely disappointed & can’t believe it’s been over two months without even a phone call back or email to address issues. Not very pleased & frustrated to say the least.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I rented a small van on our recent trip to Italy. When we arrived, the vehicle we reserved was not large enough to hold all 6 of us with luggage, so we upgraded to a larger van. Unfortunately, the new van wasn't properly prepped prior to renting, so it was not cleaned and only had a half tank. Again unfortunately, the agent printed up the contract showing a full tank. He marked my copy as half-full, initialed it to verify, and told me to return it to Rome with same amount of fuel. We did so, explaining the situation to the agent in Rome to make sure there was no misunderstanding. He assured me all was well and asked to keep my copy with the agent's verification. I did so.

Big mistake on my part because now my proof was in the hands of the company. Upon returning home I found that Avis/Budget had charged me $158 to refuel the half tank that was "missing". After many back and forth emails, the bottom line is they refuse to honor their agents' promises, insisting I provide proof--proof that they hold. They did not contact the agents to confirm by position and refuse to refund the money. There are several rental companies in Italy. Take my advice and find one that is ethical and honest--not Avis/Budget.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I rented a car in Los Angeles Airport from October 14 to 16. I returned it on 16 and the agent mentioned that they will send me an e-mail for the receipt and they did not provide a hard copy. I caught the flight and started my work the next day in Canada. They did not send the receipt by e-mail. A week later I went to rent a car in Tampa and they mentioned that I still have the above car in my possession and had not returned it yet. It was 7:00 a.m. and it took 2 hours for the customer service to start to answer the phone as they are based on the Central time. They still could not figure out what the problem was until an agent looked at the computer and realize it was somebody else's name on my contract but with my identity: my driving license number, my date of birth, my credit card number and address but with a different car. They put an end to that rental that day but they still charged me for a week that I had not had the car.

They sent me a case number in the email to solve the issue but it hasn't solved yet and put me in do not rent list! When I call now even case number is on the other person's name and they do not recognize my e-mail. The customer service hangs up on you and you have to call again and wait. They have very poor communication. The bottom line. Be aware of fraud in this company. On top of it there are extra charges! In Tampa they wanted to sell me Toll pass while all tolls were free due to Hurricane.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

We were charged $125.00 after returning our car and being told it looked good. We were told that normal use, such as some dirt, would be fine, as long as we returned it on time, full of gas, and removed all trash. We rented a car on the coast of California, so we returned it with a small amount of sand on the floor mats that would take five minutes to be vacuumed out when they do the normal cleaning between customers. Then, two weeks later, we received a letter in the mail saying it was dirty and our credit card would be charged $125. Ridiculous! This was equivalent to almost two days of rental cost. When challenged on the cost, they sent some form emails reiterating the charges. The company offers a low price upfront and then gouges you with extra charges that are not honest. Seriously...stay away or pay!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I am waiting in line at the Avis counter at the Austin airport. I have been here for 1/2 an hour and will be for another hour. There is one Avis employee at the counter and 20+ people in line. All of these people made reservations and selected the 1 hour time frame when they would pick up their car. It is incredible to me that Avis knowing how many people have scheduled their pick-up would only have one person at the counter. Clearly they do not give a hoot about their customers. I would give Avis a “0” if I could.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

The only reason to rent from Avis is if you're 100% sure you are not going to need to talk to customer service! If you have to call them, be sure you have at least an hour, a load of patience, and an interpreter!!! The only those people know how to do is follow a script. If you have ANYTHING out of the ordinary happen, you'll be out on your own! I'm currently on hold for 32:43 to talk with a supervisor. Pretty sure they just put me on a forever hold instead.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I would give a 0 rating if I could!!! I needed a car for an emergent situation, I was told on the phone by the agent if I prepaid for the car it would reserve my car and I would get a big discount. I asked if I could turn the car in earlier and he said it would not be a problem, asked again at the counter and she said it is not a problem and wouldn't be charged. I prepaid for a week but only needed the car for a day. I paid 766.00 for a one day car rental and they would not give me a refund!!! They said prepays are nonrefundable!!!! Customer Service did nothing for me, instead they tried to sell me a membership. ** NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I rented a car from Avis that got a flat tire. Called their very rude and unhelpful customer service that kept saying they would send someone in to change the tire to a spare and never did after a 2 hours wait. I took care of the problem myself and went to pick up a replacement car. That car got another flat on the highway (their cars have bold tires and have not been serviced ever). I called their roadside assistance to get the car towed and after 5 hour wait in a storm no one came to help or tow the car. I had to get helped by the police to get home. They left us in danger without a care in the world and never sent anyone. This place is awful. Stay away. They do not care to service you if you have any issues and give you awful card that break down as soon as you leave. Worst company ever.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

We rented a car through Travelocity from Avis, for Europe, we dropped at a different airport than pick up. The quote missed reporting this fee as well as other fees. We signed a contract written in german thinking the quote we received was accurate. The hidden fees amounted to 2500.00 for a day's car rental. Avis did not stand by the initial quote and did NOT help in any way. Do not trust Avis.

Avis author review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information