1.08/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1164 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 24, 2018

Rented car several months prior to vacation date. Received notification a day or two prior to pick up that Avis no longer located at airport. Have experience with prior rental at different airport that had no issues so did not cancel and use a different company. About 30 people waiting for Avis shuttle to pick up cars when we arrived. Stood outside in rain for about 10 minutes until first shuttle arrived which took about a dozen people. A group of six frustrated enough to pay for a cab. Waited about 10 more minutes for a second shuttle. Packed in like sardines, one child sitting on a parent's lap.

Took about 25 minutes to get to their offsite location. It is in an old four bay building. All doors, overhead, wide open, employees working off fold up tables. Line of customers standing outside to pick up vehicles. The taxi group still waiting to get their vehicles. Lot is unpaved and much too small. They have vehicles parked elsewhere that the run to get if the vehicle type you have pre-arranged is not on this lot. Luggage outside, glad it had stopped raining. Took 15-20 minutes to get our car. Significant amount of blemishes on our vehicle that we pointed out and which an employee acknowledged with a chicken scratch note on the back of our rental contract. The vehicle interior was clean except for cup holders. I wouldn't rent a Nissan Sentra again, but I knew that this vehicle was a possibility when I arranged the rental so that is on me.

Returned car without any problems. Waited about 10 minutes until there were enough people for them to run a shuttle. Had to go to a motel and pick up two shuttle passengers, added 5-10 minutes to our total 30 minute shuttle time. At time of pick up I asked about fees I was charged at time of rental that include two location fees that appear to me to be related to Avis overhead at airport and which seem to me to be overcharges considering that Avis is no longer at airport. Employees said Avis still pays the overhead fees; I don't believe that and intend to protest my cost when I get my credit card bill. Overall renting at Avis in Jackson, Wy is much too inconvenient. I should have paid more for a rental company at the airport.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I rented a minivan on a prepaid basis. Picked up the van in Nashville on 6/12/18 with a drop off date of 6/16/18 in Charleston. Called the Nashville office of Avis where I picked up the van and asked if I would get a refund if I returned the van a day early. Was informed that I would be credited $140.00 as long as I returned the van by 10.29 am in Charleston. Woke up early so I could reach the Avis center in Charleston by 10.29 am. Returned car at around 10.15 am. Once they checked the car in I was informed that the rate I had was nonrefundable. Since they had already checked the van in I could not get the van back! So no refund and no van. Avis refused a refund even though an Avis employee in Nashville assured me that I would get a refund. If Nashville had said there would be no refund I would not have returned the van early. Will never rent from Avis again. A company should stand by a mistake made by them.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Avis rental car Hamburg, Germany - During check in and return all went fine; I had full insurance on the car. But when I checked my credit card statement I noticed Avis took almost Eur 1600!! While according to the invoice the amount was Eur 481. Authorities will be informed of course; it's a pure scam.

Original review: June 14, 2018

SCAM, never ever use AVIS!!! The offer on their site is good and beats most of the competition's. I decided to go with AVIS because of the name, how wrong can you be. Arriving at my destination airport I go pick up my car and get insurance charges of double the lease price. They seem to scam people this way always. If I would have picked up the car at the airport I would have paid $9 per day while pre-booking it came to $62 per day. Same insurance. Bad customer service as they don't reply to my email complaint or put me on hold for over 20min until I gave up.

Original review: June 14, 2018

At the point of collection and to my great surprise, I was informed of a horrible £1000 access charge and accordingly forced to take out an additional insurance costing me more than £100. I original paid around £55 for a two day car rental but ended up paying around £142 for two day car rental. Not a good value and seems like cheating customers via upselling techniques.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: June 12, 2018

They will charge you at counters for information that was not disclosed when I booked the car. When I return the car 1 day before my initial reservation, they told me they will refund me back the 1 day prepayment. But a month later they told me the policy changed and I will not get my money back. Sure, I will not come back either. ** customer service. The worst.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Got a great deal on a rental car through AARP. Returned the car in excellent condition. 3 weeks later got a letter saying they were going to charge me $75 for excessive sand on the floor/carpet. We were nowhere near a beach or sand. Even if we were, $75 to vacuum the floor is excessive.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I prepaid $499 for a hybrid car at BWI Avis. When I arrived they had NO HYBRIDS available and gave me a subcompact sedan. I called to accuse them of misrepresentation and accepting payment for a car they didn’t stock. A manager offered to refund me $120 dollars when the car was returned. I returned the car on 5/23 and have yet to see the refund. I will NEVER use Avis again, their poor customer service leaves a lot to be desired, there were no apologies for the unavailable car, and customer service at the location was abominable.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I called Avis to get information about renting a car in Algeciras Spain with a one-way drop off at the Jerez Airport in Spain. I already had a previous reservation to pick up the car at Jerez Airport but when I called and was told that the car did not have full coverage I changed the reservation. The gentleman created a new reservation. I told him I had to have a car that had full insurance coverage with no deductible. He made the reservation with the confirmation number and told me that the car had full coverage and no deductible. I asked him several times and he confirmed that the car has no deductible. Please retrieve the telephone call that I made to Avis to reserve this car.

When I arrived at the Algeciras location, I was met with two men. One of them got on the phone and was calling around asking anyone if they had a car for a rental. He then handed me a contract that showed that I had a deductible which was over a thousand euros in the case of an accident. I told him that on the telephone the agent assured me that I had full coverage. He told me that that was not true that I would have to pay for Super coverage. The telephone agent that I spoke with on Friday directly misled me. I ended up having to pay an extra almost 100 euros for the Super coverage. This makes me very angry! I am not sure if the agent was simply lying in order to get the sale but I do not appreciate being lied to.

2nd I kept telling the man that I was returning the car full. He said the contract had to have the option to pay 58 euros for gas coverage. I told him that I always return the car full and assert he removed that option. He said it was impossible but he assured me that when I return the car if it's full they will take the 58 euros off of my credit card.

Finally the two gentleman took my friend and I in a car. We got on the road and we drove 20 minutes to a shopping mall. I asked the men "where are we going"? He said we were going to find a car. We went to a mall. One of the gentleman got out of the car and went in the mall. He came back and said that there was no car there. He then got on the phone and called someone. Then he drove us another 20 minutes to another shopping mall and presented us with a Citroën car which is an absolute wreck! He told us that he was going to give us a bigger car (an upgrade) and drove up to a dirty blue car with multiple dents and scratches on it. He told me don't worry about all the dents and scratches because I had taken full coverage.

This car inside and outside is disgusting and smells like cigarettes! My girlfriend and I have to ride around with the window down because this smell of smoke is overpowering! Why do you have Avis representatives riding people around from shopping mall to shopping mall to look for a car and then take them to a dirty disgusting car? I have attached pictures so you can see how nasty this car is. I am shocked. Avis has a wonderful reputation. Avis is also more expensive. I did not think that would happened to me today and yesterday would ever happen but I would like for somebody to straighten this out. I need to know where I can wash this filthy car. You should tell those two men working they should never give a customer a dirty car. My credit card was charged almost $500 to ride around in a smoke filled, disgusting dirty car. Avis, should be ashamed of yourself!

I wrote several letters to ask to be reimbursed for the money that I spent to cover the pile of junk that I was driving. All the e-mails came back undeliverable. I wrote to the president of Avis in the U.S. and Europe. They all seem to have their e-mail addresses blocked so you can't contact them! Try e-mailing "**, custserv@avis.com, budgetcustomerservice@budgetgroup.com. All of the e-mails came back with the same error message: "Unread postmaster@avis.com Undeliverable: Fw: Case no ** Reservation Confirmation | Algeciras Agency, A2C"

I could have taken the cheaper reservation with Budget and then paid for super coverage at the counter and it would have come out cheaper than the almost $600 that I was charged for the filthy, banged up car. Third it is not fair to wait until someone is out of the country in a situation where they have no choice but to accept being ripped off because you know their options are limited. The agent in the U.S. lied to me because he knew that I would be in Europe and it didn't matter because he had the sale.

I spent a large part of my vacation on the telephone from Spain trying to get someone to help me out, to report the horrible situation that I was placed in with the filthy, cigarette smelling car. One representative told me that even if the agent mislead me, Avis would only reprimand him, but would not refund the money I was overcharged. Once I returned to America I again had to fight to get someone to pull up the telephone call and see that the agent mislead me. Even then, the man said "I agree that you should not have to pay for the insurance". He never said "I agree the agent mislead you." They don't want to admit they are wrong! Terrible customer service and bad business practice! I will never use Avis again!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Had to return a rental 4 days early due to unforeseen circumstances. Avis unsympathetically kept the unused difference of $193. I even asked if I could just keep the car for the next 4 days, but the desk clerk said that he couldn't do that because he just checked the vehicle back in. He did not offer any information regarding early return policy prior to me handing over the keys; he just took the keys, checked the vehicle in, and handed me a receipt showing a charge of $585.74 for a prepay of $779.13 and zero refund. After reading this receipt, I asked that he return the car to me for the remainder of what I paid; he refused. Apparently, there are no limits to this unjust, customer hostile, Avis policy; so, for example, if you prepay for any number of days and then return the rental on the next day, they will keep all of your prepaid money. They are betting on the fact that "plans change", and your hard luck will work to their advantage.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I rented a car for three weeks in Italy that I picked up and returned at the Rome airport. I had reserved the car on the phone in the US on my US credit card. Three months after the rental return I received a form letter from AVIS Italia that said I had been fined. However, they were unable to tell me why I was fined. When I was fined, where I was fined, or how much I was fined and would hear directly from the police. The letter went on to tell me that they were charging my credit card Euros 42.70 ($51.11) for "administrative fees."

I called Avis Customer Service in the US to try and find out more about the fine and why the administrative fee and I had to s were so high. The response I was told given by a very rude agent was that they were uninvolved and I had to contact AVIS Italia even though I had paid for the car with Avis in the United States. I asked to speak to manager and the agent said one would call me in within 24 hours. 24 hours later I called again and was told the window was 48 hours. 30 hours after the initial call I received an email from a Manager saying that I had to call AVIS Italia. I replied to the email stating that I would appreciate a call to discuss it. A day later and no response from AVIS. I should add that I was nickel and dimed at the AVIS counter at the Rome airport for things like snow chains that were required (when I asked at my hotel they said they were not required) which added another $100 to my bill.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I attempted to rent a car from this company to get to work while mine was in the shop. Before I made my reservation, I called my local location TWICE to ask questions about renting from them. As soon as I submitted the reservation, I got a call that they had ZERO cars available. The guy gave me the 800 number to call to get my refund. The first time I called, I was on hold for an hour. I called back again and was on hold for another 30 minutes before someone answered the line, and as soon as they did, the line disconnected. I called about 8 more times, got put on hold, and the line disconnected each time.

About the 10th time I called, I ended up on hold for another 45 minutes. I decided to use my mom's phone to try to get through there, and as soon as I did, someone finally answered my phone. I was told I would get all of my money back and that I had to wait 3-5 days for it. I didn't even get all of it back; it was $5 short. Luckily I have a job where that isn't much to me, but it's the principle of the thing. For not even getting a car from them and getting the runaround for over 3 hours, they should have given me back everything. Unprofessional and untruthful.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This place is nothing but shady business practices. Made a reservation to be picked up at Norfolk international. Had already paid 160 for a reservation in the surrounding area for a later time since my flight was coming in after the airport locations were closed. After a terrible flight with multiple delays I ended up getting to the airport a little later in the morning. Decided to have Avis switch my pickup from the local place to the airport on a Thursday. Was told I would only have to pay the difference. Had declined extra coverages like loss of damage etc which is stated on my reservation.

After paying the desk I notice I now have two charges from Avis. My $160 prepay and the $258 I had just paid. Called Avis customer service to ask why I was being double charged when I was only supposed to pay the $100 difference. Was told I would receive a refund after dropping the car off on a Sunday. I called Monday to ask about the refund and was told it would process in 3 to 5 days. I'm now calling back a week later only to be told that instead of a refund apparently I owed them everything they had charged because I had accepted the $100 Loss of damaged waiver. NEGATIVE.

I never accepted this coverage and declined it at the front desk at the airport. Not once was I ever told in the previous calls that I was being given this charge. So a $260 rental jumped to $420. It's common knowledge that most credit card company have built in rental card coverage. It's absurd that I made the reservation to decline the coverage but am now being told I accepted it. BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR AGREEMENTS SINCE AVIS LIKES TO ADD ON CHARGES WHENEVER THEY FEEL LIKE IT. I will never use AVIS again. Got nothing but the run around from customer service and was completely misinformed from the get go. Don't use this company!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Avis Aruba Customer Service repeatedly lied to me and others. Avis Aruba Customer Service forced everybody to purchase additional car insurance by declaring everybody's current US car insurance unacceptable, even without inquiring which insurance people had. Even though I booked a car 6 months in advance Avis Aruba Customer Service had none available when I got to Aruba, even though they had cars for the people in line behind me. Avis Aruba Customer Service told me that even though I had a rental, they had no vehicle for me. I asked why and they told me they were 100% out of vehicles. So I hung around about 5 minutes to see they had enough vehicles for the person behind me. When I asked why they had enough cars for the people behind me but none for me they said the person behind me rented a different type of vehicle, so?

Avis Aruba Customer Service also increased their profits by rejecting everybody's current US car insurance. Without asking what type of insurance a person had, they flat out told everybody you have to buy our insurance. When people objected, Avis Aruba Customer Service negotiated a different deal for people renting a car. One person they charged $100? a day, the customer paid. Then the next person in line they quoted the same price, when the person objected, without blinking, they cut the price in half.

I have been going to Aruba since 1997 and never before got to Aruba and had the car company tell me they had no vehicle (Avis blamed Orbitz, said Orbitz allows too many people to book cars without feedback to Avis Aruba on quantities rented). I have never had any problem using my current US auto insurance until I tried renting from Avis. I have never heard car rental representative blatantly, openly and publicly lie about what is going on. I have never before heard any car company reps openly offering each customer a different deal based on how much the customer objected. Avis Aruba is rotten, do not rent a vehicle from them, those are my experiences and opinions. Went next door to Dollar Car rental and had no problems.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Rented a small car Renault Clio for Portugal through the British Airways website. It picked up a screw in the front tire during use. Tire did not go flat but just dropped pressure a bit so I noticed this just by look of tire. Topped up air once without knowing of the problem. Once needed again I checked the tire and found the screw in it. So called Avis and they sent someone to change the wheel. So far so good. On return of car to airport they said I would get charged for the tire replacement. And quoted a big price. I was in a rush for the flight but had a quick word with the office manager who said that if the tire was repairable there would be no charge at all. I left it at that.

The car was quite new less than 10000km so plenty tread on the tire. It would have been worth a repair plug (£30?). A few weeks later on my credit card bill is a cost of £271! Clio tires are about £60. Total ripoff. I wish I had just kept pumping the tire up on a daily basis! I will never ever use AVIS again and suggest that you do not either.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I pre-paid for a mid-size vehicle in which I was provided a Prius and no option for vehicle choice -- the lady was beyond rude. Upon returning the car I was informed I'd receive a refund and also wrote a poor review about the initial pick up in which I received an email merely stating "I'm sorry". I never received the refund check 3 weeks later so I called customer service this morning at 9:38am on May 10th in which the lady disconnected the line and refused to transfer me to a supervisor merely reporting I'm not warranted a refund even though both clerks at the New Orleans International Airport reported I would receive a refund. She didn't care about the incorrect information being provided.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had to drive 50 miles to get the car as there was not one local to me. I placed the order by phone to ensure the car was available. I was not told that there was no adjustment if I returned the car early when I made the reservation or when I picked up the car, which is what I was told when I called today. The online representative I spoke to after returning could not even pronounce my name and was very argumentative. I will be more careful next time to find a rental company that has a better reputation for customer service and more upfront with their policies.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Waited 55 minutes to get booked in then was given smaller car than booked. After arriving back in UK find I have been billed for the privilege of have an e-toll device? No mention of this when I collected the car. Customer service crap, they say it’s in the small print. After 11.5 hour flight, 1.5 hours to get through immigration, 45 minutes to collect bags then stood around for 55 minutes waiting for the wrong car forgive me for not reading all the small print. Thanks BA for using Avis. I will book my own car next time and guess who it won’t be from.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I rented a vehicle in Denver until April 9th, on the April 22nd I was charged an additional $1200 by Avis and they claimed the vehicle wasn't returned until the 22nd. I have spend hours calling and emailing customer service to no avail. One rep told me he could clearly see that same vehicle had been rented multiple times since I returned it on the 9th and it was obvious I couldn't have had it until the 22nd, but the claims department says they have no access to that same information. How can a complaint claims department of a company be unable to access information that any clerk at a counter has access to? Worst customer service experience of my life. I will NEVER use Avis again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I will never rent from them again. Reserved a Chevy SUBURBAN or similar for a 10-day vacation driving to South Carolina from Pittsburgh with 5 people who are, for the most part, all over 6 feet tall. We went to pick up the car the day before we were to leave. They attempted to give us a Nissan Armada and called this an upgrade. In what life is a Nissan Armada anywhere near similar to a Chevy Suburban, much less an upgrade. My son could not even fit in the 3rd row and forget about any cargo space. We refused the car and called Avis customer service. They searched for what we reserved but were unable to find anything close.

After I told her that this makes me not want to ever rent from them again, the representative told us to try to find what we needed from a competitor and they would pay the rental fee. She specifically said we would not have to pay the Avis reservation fee. Luckily, Enterprise was able to get us what we needed on very short notice. Thank you Enterprise! Otherwise our vacation would have been ruined. So now, back from vacation, send the required documents to Avis, get an email that they will only refund the difference in the 2 prices. No help from customer service even after speaking with a supervisor. Now waiting for call back from her supervisor. NEVER, EVER WILL I RENT FROM AVIS AGAIN.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I would rather walk than use Avis again! Flew into Atlanta airport and after a long transatlantic flight just wanted to get my car and drive to my hotel. At the desk I was just told to sign the rental document and I would be given the keys. At this point I should have read what I was signing more carefully which I accept but they charged me 131 dollars for an upgrade I didn't want, didn't ask for and was never explained to me. The vehicle I was given developed a severe fuel leak (12 month old car!) and I had to take time out of my holiday to drive to the nearest Avis depot and exchange it. I was then charged 18 dollars for not returning it with a full tank! The irony of returning it with a leaking fuel tank and being charged for the tank not being full was clearly lost on them!

I then returned the replacement car at Washington airport with a full tank of fuel but was charged over 50 dollars for fuel. I queried the charges on my return once I got the final invoice and their customer service is atrocious. Eventually they refunded the fuel charges but point blank refused to refund the upgrade charge because I had signed the document. I accept I should have checked what I was signing for but didn't expect a car rental company such as Avis to just add on an upgrade without my agreement. When I spoke to their customer service desk they refused to pass me onto a supervisor or progress my complaint and basically said I had signed the document and tough luck. I would never book through Avis again!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I rented a car from Avis to take my family to Florida for spring break. At first things were fine. The suv seemed ok but had horrible gas mileage. A few days later my husband noticed the tires looked low. When he went to see if they needed air he noticed the tires were really bald and tread was not there. I called Avis and was told to replace the car at another Avis near me. I went to a few different locations. One location the lady was unwilling to help she had no cars. The second one was gone for almost an hour from the counter and then skipped over me for another customer. I then called customer service again and talked to roadside assistance. I was told to go to the airport location. I was driving and had a hard time stopping with the tires.

I went back to my hotel and called customer service again. I was told that I would have to wait and see if someone could approve me having a replacement brought to me since they don't normally do that. A couple of hours later I was told a replacement was approved and to wait for driver to let me know when it was coming. 3 hours later the driver called and said he would be there in 15 mins. 30 mins later the vehicle was there. Things were ok with the replacement vehicle. The gas mileage did go up and it ran better. When I went to return the vehicle the lady was unable to find it in the system. I had to go inside the airport to the office of Avis and find out that they never put the replacement in my name so I was driving a car that I shouldn't have had and would have been in trouble if I was pulled over. Worst experience ever.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I rented a car through the website in my husband's name then we got word that he would no be traveling after all. I called 3x and tried to get a hold of an agent. The first 2 times I waited over 20 mins (each time) to get an agent. Finally when they did answer I could not understand a word the agent was saying. I asked to be transferred to customer service and was once again put on a long hold. After all that holding I am told that I had to cancel my reservation for a 50.00 fee and rebook and that my money would be returned within 3-5 business days. How can I make a reservation online but not be able to modify it without being penalized? Plus why would AVIS charge me those 50.00 when I am the one going through all the drama. They should be paying me 50 bucks. Ridiculous!! I am canceling my reservation and will Never deal with AVIS again and make sure and tell all my friends and coworkers about this terrible experience.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Recently I rented a car over spring break this year to take my kids skiing in the New Hampshire White Mountains, and since my car is getting older I decided to rent a newer more reliable SUV from Avis. I found a great first time offer online, so I booked the car. As would be expected, New Hampshire had lots of fresh snow and as a result lots of sand and gravel everywhere; parking lots, roads and sidewalks. Each time we got in and out of the car, this tracked in.

Upon our return home, I was able to return the car five hours early, and when I did so, the attendants said nothing about the condition of the car, and charged me the agreed upon fee, during checkout. However, five days later I got an email from Avis indicating they were going to charge me $250.00 for excessive cleaning. I told them this was an utterly ridiculous and unreasonable charge for essentially vacuuming the car out. At best it would have taken 15 minutes to complete, and is something they do after every vehicle is returned anyhow.

After much debate, the Avis representative said she could reduce it by 50% or $125. I told her there was no way I was paying a $125 for vacuuming a car, and for something you can get done for $25 at any reputable car wash! I indicated I would dispute the charge if charged. The customer she then became nasty and said if I was going to dispute the charges, then she would charge me the $250.00 unless I agreed to the $125. I said the most I would agree to pay was $50. A reasonable amount considering this is still twice the rate anywhere else; however they were unwilling to engage into any reasonable compromise to resolve the issue.

The Avis customer service said they could not discount it any further unless I spoke with the local Avis Manager. I was provided a phone number but after numerous attempts I was unable to get through on the line provided. I continued to try to reach the manager at the number provided, but the line just ring continuously without answer. A week later I was finally able to get through. After talking with a local agent at that location, she indicated that she agreed that the charges were excessive and unreasonable, but she had to refer the matter to the site manager.

After speaking to the manager, however, he was intransigent and unwilling to compromise whatsoever, and indicated the charge would stand. I indicated I would contest and dispute the charge with my credit card company and would not pay this unreasonable amount. I continued to reiterate that I would be willing to pay a reasonable cleaning fee however, he was completely unwilling to compromise.

To date, they are still trying to collect $250 for essentially vacuuming the car. It should be noted that at no time while I was at the Avis site, neither while renting or upon return, did anyone indicate that I would be charged a cleaning fee. Furthermore they said in the email that the charges were for “Excessive Mud, Excessive Sand/Dirt in the Front” but were unable to define what constitutes excessive. In other words, they get to decide! A brief google search shows over 1100 complaints against Avis. And a case in point is Collette ** (Oregon) (**) who was entrenched with Avis over overcharges charged to her after the fact and was threatened with legal action. My recommendation is to avoid Avis Completely!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have had a terrible experience with Avis Rent a Car. They are scammers that look for any reason to charge extra and do not honor credits that they say they will issue. In September 2017, I rented a car from Avis at 2403 S Stemmons Freeway in Lewisville, Texas. I kept the car from September 5-8. The receipt erroneously says that I returned the car on ninth, so they charged me an extra $100, which is about what an extra day costs including taxes and other fees. I spoke to the manager for that location, and he agreed that I should have a credit.

I also called the number to headquarters in Parsippany, New Jersey. I have had at least two people from there say that I should have a credit. One clearly said that they had issued me a credit, which I can prove. Avis never issues credits. They also do not update the receipt and go by the faulty one for documentation. I am extremely disgusted. I do not plan on using them again. That was my first time and likely my last.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am an Avis Preferred customer. I had a reservation to pick up a car at DFW on 4/17/18. I landed at 11:22 a.m. They did not have my name listed on the preferred board so I stood in a line for 1 hour to get a car. When I was assigned a car in the Avis Preferred lot, I was given a filthy Hyundai Accent, (see pictures). Every other car was washed but mine. I went back into the terminal to ask for a different car which I did get. When I finally got to the exit gate with my leading packet etc. I was stopped once more to show my picture ID??? The attendant just said, "What management wants, we have to do"? I got out at 1:08 with a rental car. I usually use National Emerald Aisle as I am Executive status and can be out in 15 minutes with a clean car!!! Unfortunately, they were sold out for 4/17/18.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had booked a car online and paid for it for Wednesday the 18th about a half hour ago for a job I needed to get to. I just got a call that the job is cancelled, so therefore, I no longer need the vehicle. I just TRIED contacting AVIS by phone to CANCEL the reservation I made a half hour ago for $24.98 online. They told me I would be charged a $50 cancellation fee. I asked "even though it was a half hour ago they can't make an exception?" And the answer was "no." Then I said "well just leave the reservation for $24.98 and I just won't pick it up since it's cheaper than cancelling for $50." I was then informed I would "be charged $150 no show fee if I didn't come and pick it up." WOW...AWESOME customer service! Never will I even get a rate quote or CONSIDER getting a vehicle from them. As a business owner myself...that is just horrible!

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I returned my car I was advised that I would be charged 350 pounds for my 10-day hire, but was charged over 550 pounds. I have called Billings Dept several times, they don't answer the phone. I have no idea what the 200 pounds is for, and now I concerned about further charges to my CC.

Original review: April 7, 2018

A few weeks after my wife rented a car from the George Bush Intercontinental Airport Avis location in March, we received a letter notifying us that Avis had detected ‘Smoke Odor’ in the car she returned and that Avis would charge her a $250 fine. She is not a smoker, has never smoked, and neither does anyone else in our family and household. Furthermore, the reason why she was in Houston, Texas, was to visit the MD Andersen Cancer center for treatment-- she has an aggressive form of gallbladder cancer, and so the very idea that we would expose her to smoking or second-hand smoke is completely out of the question.

In addition to a completely false claim that the car had ‘Smoke Odor’, we were not only charged the $250 fee as the letter stated. Avis actually charged her three times, for the sum of $750. Avis has made false claims about the condition that the car was returned in, and furthermore, made the burden even greater by charging three times what they had stated they would. We are disputing this claim, and are greatly inconvenienced by the actions of George Bush Intercontinental Palmetto Pines Avis.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Let me start by saying, very unprofessional. Picked up my car from Bullhead Az. Drove it to hotel noticed it was very loud, felt like front end was gonna fall off. Very unsafe feeling especially when traveling across state with grandkids. I got back in car. Drove it back to Avis and no one was there. Called first thing in morning and yes had to pay for another night in hotel, Avis said that they had no more cars to switch out at this time to hang tight and they would call. Waited all day for a call.

Drove back over there and told me they were calling me all day with a wrong #. Around 5:30 / 6 pm finally got the car but now have to pay for another night in hotel cause I don't drive at night. Next day made it home went to clean out car and found a bullet lodged in the crack of the back seat. Called Avis got the runaround for about 2 hrs once again got nowhere. Now it's dark again and Avis closed. Called back this morning to complaint department and basically got called a liar... Please don't rent from Avis they are unprofessional... And crooks... And they should be put out of business. Just saying.

Avis expert review by Lauren Fix

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.

• Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.

• Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.

• Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.

• Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.

• Best for: Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Avis Company Information