Avis

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I booked a car with Avis Car Rental through the website BookIt.com. Initially, I book the car for 2 days from March 7th 11:00 am to March 8th 3:00 pm (which is actually a day and 4 hours but the price showed 2 days). However, I return the car after only 1 day from March 7th 10:48 am to March 8th 10:29 am. In spite, using the car for only one day, Avis Rental Car charged me for 2 days and a basic coverage fee. When I called to get a refund back on my credit card the representative was very rude and did not want to refund the money. He proceeded to say that I received a discount for renting the car for two days which was clearly untrue according to the price of a one day rental vs a two day rental and then said they charge by the hour. After over two hours he finally gave me 25% off my charge which still was not equal to giving me a full refund for using the car for 1 day instead of 2.

I rented a van and prepaid for it. I asked to drop off the van at the local airport for an additional $28 fee. No problem. When we checked the final bill there was a $25 dollar misc fee charged to my credit card. My wife called Avis to inquire what the $25 misc fee was and the customer service rep said it was for air conditioning. What is the purpose of the air conditioning charge and the woman responded, "The ac is what cools the car down." My wife thought she was joking, but she wasn't joking. My wife said we would contend the charge and that's when the rep said she would credit us the $25. Question: how many people don't question the fee. I'll bet and I'm sure Avis bet, not that many!!!

Avis started off by adding $125 to my original booking fee for no reason, on questioning it they claimed it was an honest mistake. Perhaps this is true. However, after I returned the car and the man told me all was OK, I later received a letter to say I was being charged $250 for soil in the car. I've seen the photos of the dirt, yes there was some muddy footprints in the footwell, BUT it would take 5 mins with a vacuum to clean. To charge $250 for a muddy footprint in the footwell when the reason for the dirt is because of the snow/ice is against their own contract terms that allow for "fair wear and tear". If you want to avoid unwanted costs, AVOID AVIS.

Do NOT rent from this company! I declined all the optional coverages in my PREPAID reservation. At pick up of the vehicle, there are pages and pages to be signed or initialed and travelers are rushed and tired so you have to rely on their counter people for their expertise and honesty, neither of which exist with this company! When they asked for the name of my insurance company, I said "hang on, I need to think of the name, I just switched a couple of weeks ago". They said "don't worry, just write in Avis".

Did I know that was now saying that I was accepting their insurance? NO! Then I asked if I needed the toll road thing to my destination. Since I was unfamiliar with the area and they said "yes, there are tolls", so I DID decide to take that. I go to the car, there is no toll road thing in it. So back I go and they give me a different car that did have it. There was ONE toll and they took cash! I did not need to spend $3.95 per day PLUS the toll! I contacted them and their attitude was "too bad - that's not our problem". Integrity is sorely lacking! I wouldn't recommend this business to my enemies!

BEWARE!!! I rented an SUV, it broke down. Company did not send me a replacement vehicle and roadside told me there is no service today. I was stranded 1 hour away with no help at all. Terrible company. NEVER AGAIN. BEWARE!!! Called a cab, 3 months later I received a 800$ bill claimed for leaving the SUV in a service station parking lot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Don't risk you life hiring a car from Avis car rental. I hired a car online to collect in Bangkok airport. On arrival they offered me a Toyota Vios. Which is what I had booked... except it was damaged and dents and not clean. So I said "I would not accept this car." The manager told me "that's what you ordered." I said "I didn't order a dirty damaged car." So he said "I will give you an upgrade"... a Honda city. This was worse than the first car with large dent on the bonnet and... well... dents everywhere. Dirty and grubby inside. So I said no to this one also. He said "that's it or you wait for a couple of hours till something else comes in." We took the car but not happy.

On our travels about 3 days later. I had the oil and water checked and found that the brake fluid was near empty so I purchased the appropriate fluid and it was filled... Also no water in the screen washer. Dangerous... yes with possible brake failure. So can only assume that the car was not checked or cleaned before we took the car. NEVER AGAIN.

1PM on Wednesday, 2/22/17. At Avis counter. 1 person working, 2 others on the phone and/or laughing. All car rental counters backed up. Apparently no cars at San Jose Airport. No real info from Avis desk employees, just what we could hear while standing in line. Rumor has it that it is a 3-4 hour wait for cars... at least other rental agencies were talking to people in line & trying to do something. Avis Desk people were useless.

Tried Avis customer service phone number. I think the person was out of country and was no help. Gave me the customer service number to call... but it was the number I used to reach them. Need to get to Monterey to look after my aging parents for a couple of days (ages 91 & 86) so I am taking a $160 cab/shuttle ride just to get to them. I hope to get my reservation cleared up & not get charged for canceling. What a mess, HORRIBLE SERVICE & UNACCEPTABLE PLANNING/MANAGEMENT of whatever is going on there.

I'm a Avis Preferred Member. I called in, spoke with an unhelpful lady checking rates for a 2 day rental, asking her if there a good rate for a 2 day rental and me being a preferred member who rents there all the time. She huffing and blowing like she tired. So I bust out and said "I will call another Enterprise." So I figure I would give it another try. Call back, get a man, ask him a rate on and tried to give him my info. He like "I got it already" like attitude. So ** Avis. I will rent my cars elsewhere. Too many bad reviews. I didn't want to click a star because at this time they don't deserve it.

I reserved a car at the LAX location, $42 a day, after taxes, fees, etc $62. Ok. I get that. We arrived at the LAX location and my $62 a day now becomes $102 dollars a day (not happy). They also tell us there will be a shuttle to the port where we drop the car. Next day we get to the car drop, the woman at the counter advises there are no shuttles, there haven't been in years and she is fed up with the LAX location lying to people all the time. Now I'm an extra $25 dollars for a cab. I get home a week later and discover that I have been billed $202 dollars for my $42 dollar a day car. Unbelievable. I filed a complaint with no satisfaction. I will never use Avis again and advise anyone needing to rent a car to look elsewhere.

We reserved an AWD vehicle from Avis to be picked up in Salt Lake City. When we arrived, the agent told us that our vehicle was not AWD, that to get that, we would need to upgrade. So they ripped us off for an additional $153. I will NEVER rent from Avis again. Their agent and company is highly unethical. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that agents get a bonus for 'upgrade' ripoffs like this.

We rented a car from Avis through Rentalcars.com in Canada before our trip but when we arrived in Toulon, France (train station) we were told that the car was not available (a common trick) but they would give another, less expensive vehicle. However, when they gave us the contract they had substituted a much higher priced car not what we were told. I admit I missed this and they added all sorts of upgrades we did not verbally agree to but were put on the contract. When the final bill from Avis arrive onto my credit card account the charges were much higher than anticipated.

I challenged these with Avis for over 2 months and twice was promised a refund (Avis North America) but when followed up (by me), was informed that Avis France denied my claims. I realize that I will not get any refund but want to go on record that the local Avis France (Toulon train station) mislead their customers and what is discussed is not included on the contract in their zeal to have 'upcharges'. Beware!

I rented a car from the Greensboro NC airport through Avis. I would never rent from them again from any location after my experience! They didn't properly inspect my car before allowing me to drive it out of the airport! I planned a 5-day rental. My daughter and I waited for almost an hour, in the middle of the night, while he checked priority business members in, even though we had arrived at the counter before everyone else. The gentleman sold me the insurance for 13.99 a day and didn't mention anything about emergency roadside service charges if you didn't purchase that plan and needed to utilize for some reason. I did not get the car I reserved!

The next morning I noticed a pungent odor of smoke, they supposedly don't allow smoking without charging a 235 fee and the oil light was on. I didn't want to be charged for the smell so I called to tell them about both. They told me I could go to the nearest Avis and exchange, went there and they had nothing in my class of car, in hindsight I should have switched!!! They sprayed my car down with some deodorizer and I was on my way. The next morning after reaching our destination the passenger front tire was flat. It was not only flat but was BALD and had been for a while! Plus there was NO jack in the trunk and it took me 4 hours of calls on a Friday morning to find out without purchasing the Roadside assistance I would more than likely have to pay for someone to come and put the mini donut spare on the car because I didn't pay an additional 9.99 per day!

I then didn't feel safe riding around with a spare in an unfamiliar place, so we had to take 3 hours out of our day to go and exchange the vehicle. They still didn't have the car that I had originally reserved so I got stuck with another totally different class of car! They gave me a slight discount, pennies on the dollar compared to the charges. They have you by your neck if you pay ahead! So mind you I call the district office to lodge a complaint and hear nothing. Then I get this 142 additional fee for a tire replacement repair that should have been caught before I drove off the lot, because I didn't purchase the Emergency Roadside assistance and another 70+ fee for needing someone to come and change over to the spare because there was no jack in the trunk! NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I RENT FROM AVIS. I left a message with the district (DISTRUST) office with no reply!!!!

Avis has a very bad client service!!! I thought I'd hire a car with a decent global company. Small companies have really better service. I hired a car in Fez, Morocco for 7 days. At arrival at the airport in Fez I wanted to pay the deposit with my credit card. The Avis man said I could use the credit card without my pin code. But it did not work. And I did not succeed to use my pin code. I called my bank but they could not help either. In the Avis papers there was no sign that I had to use the pin code of my credit card. I hired cars before abroad and it was never a problem! The Avis man had no alternative for me to pay the deposit, and advised me to cancel the reservation. It would be without costs for me because it did not work.

I called Avis and there was no alternative left. They said they needed a copy of the attempt I tried to pay the deposit, which I have. I hired another car at another office for much more money. After my holiday I called Avis about the cancellation. Guess what! They are going to let me pay three days car hire! This is such a bad service. I could not help it. They did not mention I had to use the pin code of my credit card. I'll suggest everyone to avoid this company. They just want to make money. They spoil your holiday with very bad service.

Me and my family decided to rent a car from AVIS at the Fort Lauderdale Airport to drive the 28 min. to the Miami Cruise Port. We were told a shuttle would be at the AVIS car drop off center to get us to the ship. Well when we arrived at the drop off center we were told that the 500+ other customers were also waiting on the shuttle and it was a long wait. They stated they had just 3 shuttles for Budget and Avis. So after more than an hour wait we had to hail a cab to ensure we got to the cruise ship as the ship was leaving soon. That cost us 25.00 us and it's all because AVIS Miami isn't equipped to handle the volume of customers.

So 7 days later when we arrived back at the port of Miami and started waiting for a shuttle the same issue arrived! So after more than an hour waiting and having a flight to catch we had to hail a cab - yep another 25.00 us. When we got to the car rental place they had no cars to give us even though we had a reservation. After another lengthy wait a car arrived and we barely squished the luggage into it but we did. Then an AVIS employee who was parking another rental back right into our rental causing damage and didn't even stop. We had to get another employee and show him so we didn't get hit with charges. So when we got back home we called the customer service to relay our frustrations and they could care less! Never ever again will I choose this company. Buyer beware!

We rented a Nissan Note in Guadeloupe, January 26 - February 2, 2017. At the airport terminal desk we were given paperwork (in French) to sign and initial without any further instructions or explanations. At 7:30 pm we were shuttled to the Avis location on the outskirts of the airport where we presented our paperwork. There was more confusion from the employees as to which car/key we were to receive. After all other customers received their keys we were finally given our key and a receipt. From there we were instructed to go to the parking lot behind the building to retrieve our car on our own. There was confusion among many customers as to which car would be their car and where the "code" was to be entered. We all found our cars by using the door lock/lights.

The lot was open, dark, with cars packed tightly together. We drove the car to the front of the office and loaded in our luggage in the rain. This was the procedure that all other customers followed while we were there. The passenger side was facing away from the office and in the dark. We took approximately 20 minutes to load up our luggage and prepare to leave. AT NO TIME did an employee leave the office to assist with the vehicle pick up. AT NO TIME were we given a form to fill out regarding the condition of the car. AT NO TIME did we sign off on the condition of the car. We were given one receipt (in French) which states nothing about the condition of the vehicle... They wrongly gave us another customer's receipt to make matters worse. We put the receipt in the glove compartment and did not look at it until drop off on the 2nd.

We drove the vehicle from the Avis location in Les Abymes to our rental villa in Deshaies. We drove directly to our villa and made no stops. During the trip we were not involved in an accident or incident. The vehicle was parked on the right hand side of a driveway area with bushes on the right side. Early the next morning we, and our travel companions, noticed the dent on the lower section of the passenger door. We naturally assumed the vehicle came with the dent since we just rented it and we're not involved in an incident. Upon returning the vehicle at the end of the week the counter assistant told us our car had already been returned. We stated that it had not and pointed to where our vehicle was parked for return.

At that point we discovered we had been wrongly given another customer's receipt. She spent quite some time trying to locate our contract and was very very agitated. She finally found our contract, which was stapled to a bunch of other contracts. Upon inspecting the vehicle we were told we had to pay for the dent. We refused to take responsibility for the pre-existing dent but were forced to pay a $40 incident fee just to get a shuttle to the airport before we missed our 8:00 am flight. We left without being given a copy of our original receipt or contract.

Friday February 3rd, I called Avis to request our receipt. They had a hard time locating it and stated it showed the rental still open. Finally a downloadable receipt was emailed to me later that afternoon. Avis Les Abymes has charged us $3248.97, on top of the rental fee, for a pre-existing very small dent that was obviously caused by another vehicle due to the angle. We believe this is a total scam. We have a dispute claim in with Avis, our bank and our insurance company.

We rented a mini van from Avis, was told at the counter that any roadside assistance was cover in the rental agreement (running out of gas, jump start, flat tire, lockout). Well it just so happened that the keys got locked in the van. I call the roadside assistance #, was told again it was covered in the rental car, no charge to send someone out. Three weeks later $60 charge on my credit card. Now all I hear is no that wasn't part of the rental agreement. Just another company that scams people, now I'll be renting from Enterprise.

My husband and 6 grown children recently visited Bryce, Zion, and Death Valley National Parks. We flew into Las Vegas and rented a large vehicle from Avis. It was winter conditions in Bryce and had rained in Zion the day we arrived there. To say the least the ground was wet and often required brushing off our boots before entering the car. Upon arrival to return the vehicle, we cleaned out the extra maps, papers, etc. that always seem to accumulate when on a road trip. The car did have some extra soil on the carpet, nothing that a quick vacuum would not take up easily. Despite the weather conditions, I thought the car was pretty decent and like I said, we all made an effort to brush off as much debris as we could, and took extra care to not track in any mud into the car. Avis on the other hand, felt we should have vacuumed the car and returned it clean.

We have had several trips like this to parks, beaches, hiking in woods, skiing, and not once has a car rental place questioned the condition of the interior. And believe me, when the kids were younger it was much more of an issue. Avis took it upon themselves to charge us $150.00 extra to clean the car! Never in my life have I heard of this. Besides that, my whole 5 bedroom house doesn't cost $150 to clean. Ridiculous! We will never rent from them again and will share this story with as many people as we can. Furthermore, our rental with Avis in Alaska in June is getting canceled today!

After a successful rental of $854 for 17 days (good car, pleasant employee), I got a $50 charge on my credit card after the fact. I called customer service, they looked it up and said it was for "satellite radio". I requested a refund. They said, you signed a contract. I said I did not agree to that. They said, you signed a contract. I said there is nothing listed in my prepaid agreement. They said you signed a contract. I said I shouldn't have to pay for a forced upgrade. They said you signed a contract. I said how unfair. Won't use you again! Just another way corporate America hoses the public.

Sadly I cannot even put just zero stars as that is all they deserve. Truly appalling company, such a misleading website and so many hidden charges and outright deceit. Once I had made a complaint it was not replied to or even though they acknowledged receiving it, is that even allowed?! And so I made a further and still no reply. Truly appalling customer service. Avoid at all costs and hopefully they will go bust.

This company is trash. I have been dealing with lots of other rental companies. Avis is clearly at the bottom of all the others, no doubt. They charge you different from the online reservation. And they calculate your mileage in a wrong way. They also take money from your account without even asking you. I have never had such a bad experience before. You should never give this company a chance.

I rented a car that was quoted at $210 pickup in one city and return in a different city. I had 3 additional drivers as this was a 10 hr drive. I was told additional drivers would add $11 each to the price I accepted what seemed to be an additional $33. When I returned the car the charge was $670. I called and asked why and they said that per policy the additional drivers were covered by all kinds of additional insurance including car theft each. I clearly waived all those additional charges but they insist that they have my initial on the part that says accept not waive. Are you seriously telling me that you have to cover the car for theft 3 times, once for each driver? And all the other bogus crap they added? If you have any sense stay clear of this ** company.

I recently rented a one way rental car from Avis to travel from Merritt Island FL to Orlando International Airport FL. Less than 1 mile from the airport I filled the vehicle with gas until the pump clicked off. I looked at the gauge and the needle was on Full. I pumped more gas in just to be sure because I know rental car companies charge $12 or $13 a gallon if the tank is not full at return. Two weeks later I see that Avis took it upon themselves to charge my credit card almost $14 for gasoline. When I called customer service and asked why they charged me gas she replied that when I returned the car the gas did not look full. I told her I topped it off past full and put 3 gallons in and I only drove the vehicle 35 miles. The nerve! I am so sick of having to watch every little thing! Shame on you Avis. They did say they would adjust the bill. I wonder how often this happens to other people who don't realize or take the time to correct it.

Rented a car from Rochester, NY to Topeka KS. When we picked up car, verified with agent that we had a two day rental to Topeka KS. When I got my credit card statement I was charged $300 since it was not returned to the same location. Called customer service and was hung up on by a supervisor. I called back and they told me nothing they can do. Customer service stinks. Hidden fees. Agent told me on the phone that the reservation was for a round trip, even though when we picked it up knew we were returning it to Topeka KS. STAY AWAY FROM AVIS unless you want extra charges and horrible customer service. Will NEVER USE AVIS AGAIN!!!

I made reservations budget Avis car rentals in Charleston South Carolina on two occasions by phone. Use my Visa debit card and got a reservation number and they got the $83 dollars for the rental. Get to the 390 meeting St. Mary Street location. They denied me. The reason I do not have a major credit card. That was not told to me when I made the reservation over the phone. This happened to me at the Citadel mall location as well 2016. They just made it clear to me they are racist towards ** and I will file a complaint with the EEOC.

On a recent trip to South Africa I was embroiled in an altercation with the manager of Avis car rentals, who for some reason would not honour the rental that I had taken out at the time of my booking. And I had to take out 3 separate contracts for my car hire. Now as I cannot get anyone to answer my e-mails of which I have sent. It seems that to bait and switch so that the customer is forced to take car rental at a premium is in order. All I need to know is this common of CheapOair to do this or has a misunderstanding taken place.

Beware of this rental car company. My husband and I rented a car in Florida for a week and recently got a bill for $75.00 cleaning fee claiming we had stained the interior? What? How in the world can we stain a leather seated car with black rugs? And we are positive there was zero damage to the car. When I reached out to "customer service" not only were they rude but they switched the reason to needing to vacuum the sand on the carpet. Hello? We had been in Florida going to beaches daily, there is going to be sand on the black carpet! I was told that I should have vacuumed.

This is not the first car we have ever rented but this is the first time I have been told to vacuum a car or I would get a charge. I tried to reason with these insane people and have now hit a wall. The credit card company is going to dispute but Avis has warned me they will take it to collections... omg this company is bad news. I have found this is a common practice with avis, sending out cleaning bills is a standard way they are making some extra money. At this point AVIS take it to collections. This behavior is going to cost you in the long run. NOT ME.

We travel to Europe quite often. Several years ago we used Avis at the Paris Airport. We took the car and got about 200 miles when the car broke down. After losing a full day being stranded, while Avis tried to figure what to do, we ended up backtracking 1 1/2 hrs by cab to get a new car. We used another company after that for several years. Last spring we decided to give Avis in Paris another chance. We arrived at the appointed time, only to be told that they didn't have our car. They asked if we would be willing to take another car at no extra charge. We agreed. We were asked about extra insurance which we always deny because we are covered by our credit card.

Upon returning the car we were told that the rental fee would be double what the original agreement was. When we asked why, we were told that we were being charged for an upgrade and insurance. We explained that we did not agree to either of those things. We were told that we would have to come back later as a manager was not there at that time to discuss it with us. We could not do that as we had a flight to catch.

When we returned to the US we disputed the bill with our credit card company. We were happy to pay the original amount, just not the extra charges. After months of fighting back and forth with Avis, we were told that it was their word against ours and we had to pay. We then contacted Avis and were told that Avis in Europe is different than Avis in the US and they couldn't do anything to help us. We work for a major Airline. We will never use Avis within the US and especially in Europe. We work with a lot of people who travel. We will be sure to tell everyone we know to be careful of being scammed especially in Europe.

Returned the car with no remarks, on time and without a breadcrumb on the inside. 6 months after, they're still charging my card. Will file Police report so my bank can refund the money since Avis won't.

When we went to pick up the already paid in the States car, the clerk convince us (two over 70 years old people, just coming from 16 hours fly) that we need extra insurance. He said "Madrid streets are very narrow and accident will cost you a fortune". He told us we only been paying 172.541150381422 euros and we give him the card and sign and they charge us 1,663.49 euros. We been scam and robbed by Avis Europe.

I had rented a car from the Miami airport location. I initially told the agent that I would return the car in Fort Lauderdale. In Wake of the Fort Lauderdale Airport shootings, the airport was closed where I could not return my rental car for 2 days. I called Avis on two different occasions and two different reps gave me the same information, that I did not have a set date to return the car to Miami and the price will remain the same for a one-day rental period. I return the car to Miami 2 days later, and my price tripled the amount but I was previously stated. I was absolutely livid. I spoke with the customer service desk at the airport, a supervisor and they did it just one day. That was not good enough because I was told something totally different. He suggested that I call customer service through the 800 number.

I called customer service through the 800 number and ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor did eventually pull the tape of the conversation that I had with the initial agent. And, found out that everything that I had said was totally true. Avis says they will adjust my price what it is supposed to be. I will see when my credit card receipt comes in. In the meanwhile, Avis needs to train their customer service reps better, and higher reps that can clearly understand an English-speaking person, and speak English clearly themselves. I would never go back to Avis again.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Avis was the first car rental company to offer airport locations for traveling convenience. It is one of the world's largest rental car companies with more than 5,450 locations worldwide.

• Find the right rental: Using the Avis Car Guide on its website, customers can find the vehicles with the right combination of space, fuel efficiency and features for their trip.
  • Business-class travel: Avis offers its Signature Series to business travelers who need to make a good impression. These vehicles are luxury models from brands like Lincoln, BMW and Mercedes.
  • Tiered loyalty program: Any customer can join the first tier of the Avis Preferred loyalty program, but higher tiers come with more benefits. For example, Avis Preferred Plus members get between 25 and 50 percent more rewards points on every rental.
  • Airline loyalty program: Avis partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • Business programs: Avis has a complete line of business products, ranging from discount offers to small and medium-sized businesses to production planning for those in the entertainment industry.
  • Travel partners: Avis works with a variety of hotels and airlines to let you earn rewards points for travel, including top-name hotels like Hilton, The Venetian and the MGM Grand.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts like AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Avis base rates.
  • Best for Those who like a variety of options, vacationers, business travelers, event planners, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Compare Rental Cars