Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.05/5

1429 Avis Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I recently reserved a rental car from Avis and up until I paid for the car rental the price did not include the underage driver fee. This fee DOUBLED the cost of my rental and due to the lack of transparency I ended up paying much more than if I booked through Enterprise. DO NOT USE if you are under 25 years old because you will be ripped off. Also, do not bother prepaying for the rental because if you are unhappy with the rental you will be charged $50 to cancel.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

My recent experience with the Avis Car rental wasn't a pleasant one. In summary, the major issues are 1. Avis rents an unsafe or defective car to customers. 2. Avis lets customers wait in line too long. 3. Avis has a chaotic systems in car exchange and billing; prices keeps changing with many different paperwork. 4. The most serious one, Avis lets its staff do fraudulent charges to customers.

On 5/27/2019 around 3 PM, I rented a BLUE Dodge Caravan (Car # **) at Avis at the Newark International Airport. The contract was for 15 days. (5/27-6/11). As I drove home I noticed the warning red light for airbag stays on the entire way. According to the owner's manual, this red airbag warning light should be looked at by the dealership immediately. I took the car back to Avis for an exchange around 6 PM. As I passed through the Avis car lots, I was directed at least twice by the Avis staffs to go to the rental office for the exchange of the rental car.

It was Memorial Day afternoon and I was in the rental office for the 2nd time within 3 hours and again standing in a long renters' line. I waited 30 minutes and finally I got to talk to the rental agent, Leon. I thought this should be a quick process since all my information was already on file. The agent said to me, “You should see a Avis staff outside the office” and he led me to the outside staff. This red shirt person scanned the bar car on the windshield of returned BLUE car and wrote the driving mileage (29 miles) on the contract and wanted me to go back to the rental office to do the switching.

I approached the same agent, Leon, at the desk again. He looked at me and said, “You should get back into the line and wait for your turn.” I said I was outside for just 2 minutes for the paperwork, and all these people know that I was already in line for 30 minutes. Apparently, there is an issue with Avis policy as to how to exchange the car. There should be a sign somewhere indicating the correct procedure for the car exchange. Finally, after almost another 30 minutes wait, (it was almost 7:00 PM) it was my turn to do the car switch with that same agent, Leon, and it took only 5 minutes. I got a RED Dodge Caravan (Car # **) this time for the same terms (15 days, same price).

I left the airport with the 2nd rental car around 7:30 PM. My Avis saga did not end here. Shortly after I returned from the 15-day trip, I found two suspicious charges on my credit card statement, one for 5/29 car rental charges ($220.26) and the other for 6/6 toll charges ($13.70), both by Avis. I called the Avis customer service regarding the charges. Two days later (6/13), I got the email back from Krystal **, indicating that those charges resulted from a rental car,

a WHITE Kia Sedona (Car # **) rented on 5/27 at 6:54 PM (time when I switched to the RED Dodge Caravan, what a coincidence!) for the 2 days duration 5/27-5/29, plus a toll charge from someone driving the car on the toll road. Someone used my credit card info to book that Kia Sedona! I believed 'someone' is the agent, Leon, as no one else has my credit card info and the booking time is the same as when I switched to the 2nd Dodge Caravan.

On 6/15 I called customer service again indicating that I had a 15 day contract with the RED Dodge caravan with the car number ** and never signed a 2 day contract for a WHITE Kia Sedona. The guy (Alex) immediately agreed to refund those charges back to my credit card on 6/16 but denied any wrongdoing on the Avis side. To avoid any further unauthorized use of my credit card, I closed my account and had the credit card company reissue a new credit card. I will not recommend to rent any car from Avis. There are better choices of rental companies to get the rental car from.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

We booked a car through price line for $440 and then Avis charged us another $290 for the same car. We were told by the rep at the desk that we were getting a better deal and the amount on Priceline amount would be adjusted. Bad company and bad business practice... When I called them they tried to give me the run around and said a manager would call me in 48 hours!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

We made a reservation while on the road and our motor home broke down and we couldn't get to the town where we made the reservation. They made us pay for the car even though we couldn't get there. It was not our fault that the serpentine belt broke and we had to wait till the next day to get it fixed. I would call that beyond our control. I will never rent from this company again, and I would suggest that you not either. I would not run a business this way.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I rented a car from Avis Phoenix Airport and when I returned it, I left an every essential oil kit and my case-worth over $3000 retail- in the car. I immediately filed a complaint and called and called and NO find and no return to me... I wrote a letter to them and their response was "sorry, we aren't responsible for items left in car." HMMMMM-but you steal them, eh? This is un acceptable customer service and business and I will never rent from Avis again! #avissucks

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I recently rented a vehicle through Egencia w/ Avis. Avis charged me 4 times more than the rental price that was agreed upon. After 2 weeks I'm still trying to get them to fix the charge. Terrible company and horrible customer service! I will never use their services again.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Worst experience ever! My rental breaks down and they want me to wait 5 hours for a tow truck to pick the rental up before they give me a replacement. I have already been inconvenienced 4 hour of my day and they want me to wait 5 more hours! Don’t rent a Avis period. Awful customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Earlier this week I spoke on the phone with an Avis employee who assured me that I could add my 22-year-old husband as a driver to our rental for $27 per day. The next day, I called the Lansing branch (where we were picking up) to add him since I was having trouble doing it online. After being put on hold twice for about a half hour each, I gave up and planned to do it at the desk (My reservation was already made under my name). When we arrived, she would not let me add him. She could also not make a new reservation in his name. She told me to try calling customer service to see if they could help.

After an hour on the phone with 3 different employees, I finally found out that their policy would not allow them to add him as an underage driver because we are married. If we were not married, he could be added. How that makes any sense, I have no idea! The supervisor on the phone told me we could make a new reservation in my husband’s name. After pushing him to make the reservation for me (he advised doing it online), he eventually said he could not do it after all since there were no available cars (even though we would be cancelling my reservation, so obviously that car would be available). I finally ended up just cancelling the reservation altogether.

I’ve spoken with 5 different Avis employees over this week, all of whom have told me slightly different things, and none of whom have spoke great English. When you are trying to conduct business and get good information, that can be frustrating. I ended up wasting an hour and a half of time in the airport as well as an hour driving back and forth the the location. Very, very disappointed in Avis’s unhelpfulness and terrible policies.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Never have I ever been so agitated when trying to give somebody money! Here it is 5pm and I try to pick up my pre-paid booking but I’m not able to! You already have my money, give me the product I paid for. But instead you want me to cancel & rebook instead of change the name on the reservation because you won’t accept my card therefore you could get another $150....Your supervisor that I spoke with could barely speak English and was beyond rude. Get it together Avis, you just lost a customer & her money.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I rented an AVIS car last summer (2018) for 3 months. Paperwork was rather convoluted, and they ended up charging me one of the months twice in error, which, when I pointed out, they fixed EXCEPT for a difference of $191.41. They wouldn't explain why the discrepancy, and after many phone calls they finally told me that AVIS closed the inquiry and wouldn't address my concerns any longer. I did the math multiple times, and several Avis agents agreed with me that my calculations were correct, but they weren't authorized to make a full refund. My only recourse was to write bad reviews and hope that an AVIS rep would care enough to fix the problem (or sue them in small claims court, which, to be honest I thought about because this makes me so mad to be cheated...). Case number: **.

So frustrating as many of the individual agents, including those at the pickup in Oakland and the drop-off at San Jose, were really nice and professional. It seems to be a corporate policy by which they calculate. They can lose customers by cheating and it doesn't matter to the bottom line 'cause they get enough new suckers as customers. I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars... I think it was NOT to their advantage to lose me as a customer. I recommend staying away from AVIS.

Avis Company Information