1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1308 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Horrible! I drove the Jeep one day, drive less than 30 miles and have a tire blowout that endangered my life, stranded me, and received a bill to pay for their roadside service they coordinated. Had to wait over 2 hours in at night, alone with complete strangers driving by, honking. Completely a traumatic situation. AVIS was apathetic to the situation and put me in a dangerous situation. I will no longer rent from Avis. Horrible! Ps. I was an AVIS Preferred member. Response from Avis - did not do an investigation obviously. “Thank you for contacting our Avis customer service department regarding the charges related to damage from your rental. We apologize for any issues that occurred during this rental. We understand the frustration that comes with unexpected damage charges and would be pleased to assist you.

After reviewing the documentation attached to this case, we have found no pre-existing damage was listed for this vehicle. After investigating this matter, we have found the repairs do match the date of return. We have found the charges billed for damage are valid, and our customer service department would have to uphold them as charged. Thank you again for contacting Avis with this issue. We do hope this information will be helpful in explaining the charges involved, and do apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused.”

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Due to bad weather, they jack prices up $90 extra. This was absurd. Customer service was terrible and did nothing to help the situation. The company overall is just terrible. Took everybody's money and do nothing to help the consumers with their experiences. First time renting a car and was disappointed.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

AVIS did not meet their end of the agreed to contract - I would never recommend renting through AVIS on international travel. I am still dealing with a case number which I had opened immediately after returning from travel on 10/6/18. It began with a pick-up of the vehicle in Germany on 9/24/18. At which point I was informed I had a security deposit of 950 Euros. I was never provided a heads up, but I went ahead and provided my credit card for the security deposit. I then leave with the vehicle not fully fueled and was told that the fuel gauge is not reading accurately. I was assured the vehicle was fully fueled based on their paperwork. (In having the vehicle for 2 weeks, I found no issues with the fuel gauge.)

A few days later, I found the security deposit ended up posting to my credit card statement as opposed to remaining as a pending transaction that should have simply been lifted upon the return of the vehicle. Security deposits should be an authorization for a hold on funds from the bank, not an approved transaction that posts. Because the security deposit posted, I ended up being subject to the differences in the currency exchange rate from the time I picked up the vehicle to the time I returned the vehicle. This led to an extra payment of $38.82 that was not part of the agreed to contract.

Prior to returning the vehicle to the drop off, I was sure to fill up and kept the copy of the fuel receipt. When I returned from my travels, I then found an additional $48.30 refuel charge even though I returned the vehicle fully fueled. I ended up paying an extra $87.12 on top of the contracted rate for the rental. After disputing the fuel charge and receiving the refund for $48.30, I am still waiting on the overcharge due to the unauthorized posting of the security deposit.

On 12/10/18, I am then notified of an additional AVIS charge on my card for the amount of $34.47. I contact customer service, and I am informed it is for a traffic ticket that I have yet to receive in the mail. So instead of processing both traffic fine and the outstanding credit owed back to me concurrently, I am charged an additional $34.47 without prior warning, and I am still owed $38.82. It is safe to say I will never rent from AVIS internationally again. Furthermore, if I hear the words security deposit when entering an AVIS location, I will immediately walk out.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I rented a car 11/21/18-11/27/18, I prepaid because when you prepay you get a 30% discount, so my total was $367.03 but they gave a $28.81 discount because the price changed. I returned the car on the 27th with a full tank of gas and was later charged an extra $67.63. So I called Avis and was told that $38.82 was for gas and $28.81 was for taxes. The same $28.81 that they refunded me before I picked up the car because the price had changed. I emailed my gas reciept to them however this is the second time they charged me for gas and had to refund me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I'm a preferred member. I was given paperwork and check out a SUV. I put my bag in the vehicle while I was waiting on my other guest to arrive on flights. I return back to car some hours later to find that my bag was gone along with the rental car. One of the agents check the car back in then rented the car to another customer. My bag is still not with me. I had to buy clothes, I miss some meetings because I wasn’t prepared for because I had papers needed in my bag. I have a push start automobile that I have yet to move because the remote starter is in my bag... A mgr did call me 2 days after I returned home to tell me that the customer returned with the vehicle along with my bag. A mgr name Toni called and told me they had my credit card on file and that they could charge my card and have my bag sent to me... Why should I pay to have my bag sent to me. I did nothing wrong but be a preferred member... I need answers and I need my bag.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I reserved a car for a Saturday afternoon pickup and when I got there was advised that the people went home early at 1:00. I called the Avis company and their only advice was to pick up at 9:00 the following morning. I got there shortly after 9:00 am. Was told there were no cars available. I asked, "What happened to the car I reserved," and they told me it was rented out. I asked, "How could you rent out a vehicle that was reserved for me and you were closed in the interim? Furthermore why wouldn’t you have looked at your rental list and called me telling me such." In both occasions had to get a lift to pick up vehicle and needed to go to airport for a flight. I had to hire a cab to do so and was now over $200 instead of the $32 one way rental. No other rental car companies in the area open on a Sunday morning. Not happy with Avis one bit!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I had reserved the car, paid for it and then I was told it's not available, and then I was told that it is available but ONLY with the chauffeur. I am preparing a lawsuit against Avis. I believe there are others with similar situation. The Avis India is confident and content that this won't affect them in any way and I wish to change this contention.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I reserved a car online and prepaid using a credit card. I was able to wrap up my trip early and returned the car early. A line item on the receipt was labeled "Non-Refundable Prepay". That's right, if you return your car early on a prepay, you are penalized. You cannot get your money back. I will never use Avis again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We booked and paid for a rental vehicle a month in advance to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday to see our Marine son. The day of the rental pickup Avis called to advise they DID NOT HAVE A VEHICLE FOR US. Are you kidding me??? We booked and paid for it over a month ago... Isn't that what "booking a reservation" means? Called customer service 3 times and was advised they did not have any vehicles and I should call a competitor to try to get a car - THE DAY BEFORE THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY?? We had a RESERVATION a PAID reservation. We will NEVER again use Avis - horrible customer service, bad planning of reservations. I would have given them ZERO stars but system, required at least one.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Rented from Avis and kept the car for 12 hours. Was quoted $60 + $14 for a car seat and told if I returned it to a non-airport location I’d have to pay a fee which would make the tots $91. Dropped the car off and was charged $143. Charged EXTRA for dropping it off at the airport, charged for fuel (despite the tank being full), and nickel and dimes with things like “CFC” and “Concession Recovery” which nobody could explain. They are total fraud and know that the second you take possession of the car you are trapped. Bait and switch is the name of their game. Avoid this miserable company at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had rented a vehicle on the 3rd of October and returned it the same day. After a month, on the 12th of November, 2018, I was charged an additional 250 Canadian Dollars. Upon investigating, Avis claimed that the car was dirty? To provide context, I had the car for 8 hours. I drove it directly from Avis in Vancouver BC to Avis in Portland Oregon (airport), and hadn’t eaten or drank anything while driving it. After returning and inspecting it the employee said ‘everything looks fine’, and then thanked me.

Presently, I filed a complaint to the BBB as well as with my credit card company, thankfully they will complete an independent investigation. Avis is completing one too. In the event I’m not refunded I will escalate the claim and take it to small claims court in addition to filing a false claims act. I’m completely shocked and aghast at the blatant thievery at which this company is capable of. Please avoid using Avis Rental Cars, and if you still choose to do so take plenty of photos!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We will never rent a vehicle from Avis again. When we went to pick up our SUV, we had to wait an hour for it to be cleaned even though we reserved it online weeks earlier. While we had already paid full price online when we reserved our car, we were told there was ANOTHER $100 deposit just for online reservations. That extra deposit made the rental more than we would have paid if we would have just walked in. The girl who was working - the ONLY person there - rudely assured us that it was a refundable deposit.

We live 15 minutes away from the store & by the time we got the SUV back to our house, the maintenance lights for low tire pressure & refill wiper fluid were on. We went to put air in the tires & while the tires weren’t bald, they definitely hadn’t been kept up or replaced. We could never get anyone at the actual store to answer the phone - it kept getting re-routed to corporate. When we returned from our trip & turned in the car, it was the same girl at the counter & she was just as rude as before. She seemed to not care about the wiper fluid, the low tire pressure or the fact that the tires should be replaced before renting the vehicle to anyone else.

I have called the store number & the 800 number several times but still haven’t gotten an answer about my refundable deposit. Avis has a great price but their service in this location is the worst I have seen. Spend a little more & get something safe where there are actually people to answer your questions. In this case, you really do get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Never do business with Avis. They allow their employees to steal from customers within 5 minutes of returning our Avis rental car. My sister realized she had left her purse. In the car. She went straight back to the car and an Avis employee handed her a ransacked purse with $108.00 cash missing!!! Disgusting!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The WORST company so far I had to deal with. Never will I ever rent from them again. And since Budget in the States is also managed by the same people I will not rent from them either. They OVERcharged me and I called customer service who apologized to me and gave me the exact amounts that I was supposed to be charged. He told me to send an email to them and prove that these charges were made to my credit card. I did so. From the very beginning the employees would not read my email and would explain to me something that I already agreed to pay for and don’t have a problem with and IGNORE the overcharged amounts. When I would reply back again ANOTHER employee would answer and give me ANOTHER excuse and again ignore the overcharged amounts.

After driving me crazy I told them I will write a review on their bad customer service and then yet again ANOTHER employee answered back comprehending fully my issue and asked me to send the proof (EVEN THOUGH I DID IN MY FIRST EMAIL). But since she understood the problem and asked for proof to send me the refund I sent it again. After doing so, ANOTHER employee answered back repeating what the previous employee said but without asking for proof. She actually hasn’t even added up the amounts to see that I was overcharged and was speaking to me as though she was explaining what these charges were. I already knew what these charges were but I was charged BEYOND those amounts and THAT was my issue.

I already knew all of this since I called customer service before my first email! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE customer service. I honestly believe they do not read the emails and only skim some words here and there so they could just provide inaccurate information so they can manipulate you and they get away with ripping you off! Even though I usually rent from the States from several companies I NEVER in my life had been treated this way in such a disrespectful manner and to top that off have them steal my money!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

The car we requested was not provided so we were given a Denali, not our choice. It was dirty, smelled of smoke and had many yellow markings highlighting damage from previous renters. Our trip was over mountains at night and immediately we realized the front left headlamp had an issue. Our view was dark just feet in front of us, which as the yellow line dividing us from oncoming traffic. Even worse, we could not see if an animal or anything else was on the road just ahead of us. We used our high beams where we could but it was not safe to do so with other cars approaching of as we followed cars. The trip was stressful and dangerous. Fortunately we did not drive in the dark again. Upon returning the car we told the service person about the headlamp.

They seems slightly interested. My husband did not request any compensation but I was unhappy with the very high cost of the rental for such a poor experience. When I called customer care a few days later, I was dismissed early on and was informed the car must have been ok as it was rented out immediately. That really upset me and evidently something stuck with this CS person because he assigned us a case #. Today I called back to find out about the case # and basically told my story again.

We were given a small refund of $110 on an over $600 bill for 4 days rental of a dangerous and dirty vehicle. I will not rent again with Avis, it was a very lacking experience. We have rented with Enterprise for years with great results each time. The only reason I tried Avis was the offer of a BMW x5 because we are considering purchasing that vehicle. Of course, that car was never available for us and deep down, I knew that would be the case. Lesson learned. Avis you need to be more responsible.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My husband and I rented a car from Avis at SFO recently. While we were picking up the car, we noticed there was a hole in the back seat and we immediately informed the agent at the scene. The agent said it was ok and gave us the green light to take the car. When we were returning the car, we mentioned the back seat hole to another agent one more time and the guy also said it was ok.

However, we recently received a bill of $185 from Avis regarding the same damage that we mentioned to the agents multiple times in person when we were picking up and returning the car. Apparently, Avis doesn't have a very good tracking system to help them track the legacy car issues. When we were mentioning the issue to the field agents, the agents gave us the false response and didn't record the damage at all. We reached out to Avis customer support a couple times, and the call center agents kept saying that they would reach back to us within a few days which they never did. Adding legacy car damage to customers who didn't cause that damage shows the dishonesty of the business and how less the business care about their customers. Highly recommended to not have business with Avis in the future to avoid the unnecessary hassles.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

My mother and I rented a car from Avis. It was a 2017 (or 2018) Kia Soul. We had paid Avis for a 2 day rental. Drove it 16 miles one way from the airport and parked it at my cousins. When we went to get in it the next evening, we noticed we had a flat tire. Had several gentleman there who were more than willing to install the spare in order to drive it the 16 miles back to the airport the next morning but there was NO SPARE TIRE provided in the rental. We contacted Avis to find out what we needed to do since there was no spare tire provided and they insisted on HAULING another car out to us, swapping cars and leaving us with the new car.

Almost 2 MONTHS later, I receive a letter from Avis stating they would be charging my credit card $134.17 for Emergency Roadside/Towing Cost. I contacted IMMEDIATELY upon receiving this letter and asked them to please contact me ASAP because the # provided on this letter was not being answered. I explained I did not feel it was my responsibility to pay this outrageous charge due to the fact there was NO SPARE TIRE provided in the car in order to have it fixed. I told Avis that if they insisted on charging my credit card before hearing me out, I would file a discrepancy with my credit card company and refuse to pair their outrageous bill for a flat tire! I haven't heard one word back from Avis and now see where I have a charge of $134.17 pending on my account! STAY AWAY FROM AVIS! They won't answer calls and charge ridiculous prices for a flat tire when they won't even provide a spare in their rental cars!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I reserved a car for 3 days in Richmond, Va. We picked up the car at the terminal and received a receipt which matched the amount that we had booked online. We returned the car and received a receipt which also matched the amount we had agreed upon. Several days later I noticed that my credit card had been charged more than double the agreed upon rate (which was ON MY RECEIPT). I had a tough time contacting customer service (first call went to dead air).

When I finally got through, they told me that I was charged a higher amount because the car they gave us (Nissan Altima), was a higher class of car than the one we had reserved. In other words, we charged for an upgrade. AT NO TIME WAS AN UPGRADE MENTIONED! We reserved a "standard" car and thought that that was what we received. Our receipt at pick up and our receipt at drop off matched the price that we had booked online. I feel like this is a shady "switcheroo" that this company tried to pull in hopes that we wouldn't notice that the credit card amount differed from what we had booked. Very suspicious! Buyer (ok, renter) BEWARE!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Rented car from Stuart, Fl and returned at Miami airport. Upon return of the vehicle I was charged $9.99 per gallon for gas. I have rented cars from several car rental places and never charged that high of a price. I just rented a car from Enterprises and their refill charge is $3.99. Avis is gauging their customers. I am warning anyone thinking of renting from Avis look elsewhere because even if the rate is lower you will pay more in the long run. As well I paid my tolls at the plaza and they also charged me a toll fee.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Recently I rented a car from Avis Car Rental at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport. First off they didn't have the car that I wanted so I got another car that was $10 a day extra charge then I told him I wanted to prepaid gas program more than once and the person behind the desk more than once said, "Okay", but lo and behold when I get home and get the bill they charge me for it. I left them a half a tank of gas. I thought I was being generous and they charge me $118. 9.99 cents a gallon. Don't use this company. Shop around because there are others out there much better that won't rip you off like this company and customer service was no help whatsoever.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I rented a car from Avis and put 8,000 miles on it. At the 5,000 mile mark we changed the oil because that is how I treat any vehicle. Avis refused to reimburse me for the oil change. I guess they want customers to abuse their vehicles. They obviously do not encourage maintenance by the customer.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I rented a vehicle for my husband to go to work out of State. I prepaid online. I went to the counter to pick up the vehicle and spoke to Megan. The system wanted to charge me more. $283 more!! Megan assured me that it would not charge me another penny being it was a one way. I had already paid $152. When my husband dropped off the car, he also asked the clerk if we would be charged anything else. They told him no. I went to pay my bill on my credit card statement and the charges were there. I called Megan and she assured me that it would be taken care of.

I spoke to Avis Customer Service. She told me that if the clerk, Megan told me that then there would be disciplinary actions taken because they do charge more for a one way. She put me on hold and talked to Megan. Megan told her she did not tell me that. She LIED to save her butt! I was charged the extra $283! That was a $435 charge for him to drive 5 hours! I would have brought him myself! Megan, if you are reading this, know that what goes around comes around! And it is normally 10 times worse! You know what you did! Shame on you! This happened in Alexandria, Louisiana at the airport.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I reserved a mini-van for vacation. No minivan available when I arrived for pickup. I had to settle for a Ford Flex SUV which had minimal trunk space. I enjoyed driving the Ford Flex but the keypad panel on the driver's side popped off and broke in-half as It slammed against the back window during drive home. I was hearing a wind noise previously but could not find the source. Through research I discovered this was known to happened before as Ford attaches panel with double sided tape.

Avis was called and I was advised to return car at scheduled time as it was still able to be driven. I used CDW from credit card to insure. I showed pictures of same damage on another Flex and all seemed fine. More than a month later I received letter from Subrogation Management Team Ltd billing me $502 which included: $254.81 for Physical Damage, $147.99 for Loss of Use; $100.00 for Administrative Fee. The charges were declined by Insurance company as general wear and tear on vehicle as I did not cause the damage. The car had only 40.000 plus miles and should have still been under warranty by Ford against manufacturing defects.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

SCAM. Before returning the vehicle I went across the street and filled the tank with gas. The representative at Avis looked at the indicator, came inside the office and asked if I wanted to fill the tank? I said I just did and she replied that it was a gallon short and would I like to go back out and fill the tank or pay $15.00.

Although very upset I went back across the street and filled the tank. I filled it to the top and it took .42 gallons. Yes, less than 1/2 of a gallon. I was prepared to join the preferred Avis but unfortunately I cannot do business with this company. Avis Car Rental, South Sarasota, Fl.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had booked a 7 seater car for a one day trip and paid full amount with additional 5000 RS security deposit. We received a confirmation of vehicle as well. On the day of travel, the vehicle did not arrive till the time of trip start. After following several times they mentioned they have cancelled the booking as they could not find a vehicle. So beware. Even confirmed bookings can be cancelled by them at the nth moment upsetting your travel completely. Now I am following up for the refund. Horrible customer service provided by Avis self drive cars. I feel Zoomcar is always better. Avis rents are also on higher side.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our rental car cost us double what the original quote was. They obviously did not have the car that we had originally booked. The agent tried to "upgrade" us for 50 pounds per day. We refused. She then tried to "upgrade" us for 30 pounds per day and we refused. She then said we could have the upgrade for free. I assumed that the insurance and taxes would remain the same. When I reserved the original car, the CDW insurance was $56.93 and taxes were $148.59. On this new "upgraded" car, insurance was dollar equivalent to $291.30. The 20% VAT tax was added onto this insurance which we had not requested. In the U.S., we call this "bait & switch". They gave us a free "upgrade" but they made up for it in increased insurance and taxes.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I rented a car from Avis in Los Angeles for two day business trip. When I returned the car back to the airport the Avis attendant checked the car and gave me my receipt. Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail saying they were charging me $150 for dirt on the backseat. I never use the backseat not even for luggage. I called customer service and they said they would not eliminate the charge. I’m a 20 year preferred Avis customer that rents cars every week. There was no way the dirt on the back seat was left by me on my business trip. Avis just lost a 20 year preferred customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I flew into Pensacola with my 3 kids on Tuesday October 16th - 2018 to visit my mother and help her after hurricane Michael. I had a car reserved with Avis. Reservation ** - when I arrived, they told me that they didn't have a car for me. I was literally stranded at the airport with my 3 kids and was 2 hours away from my mother's home. I was lucky enough to get a cab for $150, and the jerks at AVIS will not reimburse me for the cab ride and I still don't have a car. Never again will I rent from AVIS.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We rented a car from Avis Rental Car in Florence Italy on 9/6/18 and returned it later that day using overnight drop off. The car was parked in between two cars and did not have any scratches on it but was dirty because we drove through gravel. Two days after renting the car we receive an email and charge for $322 (US) because they claimed we scratched the panel under both the driver's side and passenger's side door. There were absolutely no scratches on the car when we dropped it off and the lines look too straight to be an actual scratch. Instead, they look like paint markers that were used to draw on the vehicle. I tried fighting with Avis customer service but they claim the damage paperwork submitted checks out.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They gave me a vehicle I didn't reserve after spending the time with the manager looking at all of the vehicles so I can choose the two that he had that would be big enough for us. Yeah it was the same brand but it was a minivan and the one we ordered was an SUV. But it's all titled under the same section so they get away with it. So we lost a day of travel complaining about the car because it wasn't big enough and it took us a long time to get what we could into it and get people to take to their house the other stuff until we can get back for it. And they had nothing bigger left on the lot. No reimbursement because the manager at Long Beach Airport said he didn't do anything wrong... even though I have text messages where he admitted the bait and switch. Never ever again will I use them. Now we have to drive like the devil to make up the lost time on our trip.

Avis Company Information

1946
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany
NJ
www.avis.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.