1.19/5

1357 Avis Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Last week (3/13) I had to travel to the Baltimore Maryland area for work. I must tell you that my experience with the BWI airport Avis location couldn’t have gone worse. The problem arose when I arrived at the counter and for the FIRST TIME was made aware that to use a debit card they ran a credit check which due to a situation out of my control, I didn’t pass. Had I known a credit check would be a potential barrier I would have brought along one of my other credit cards. So now I’m in Maryland without a car, I have a dinner meeting that night and meetings the next day. Thank God for Lyft. All that needed to happen was a little communication prior to my trip making me aware of the policy. An email, a text, anything. “Please be aware that the BWI Avis location requires a credit check when using a debit card…”. That simple step would have help to avoid this whole situation.

AND to top it all off, when I called the 1-800 number and asked to file a complaint I was switched to discount vacation partner company where I was told that I was “In luck, through their special partnership I qualified for a specially discounted vacation for 4 days/3 nights…”. Talk about pouring salt in the wound. Needless to say, my experience with Avis couldn’t have gone worse. I literally never write complaint emails, but this experience was “special” and certainly deserved one.

Original review: March 14, 2019

First time car rental. I rented a Mustang convertible to surprise my wife for our Florida vacation. 45 minutes I was to pick up the car I was told that my Mustang was not available. “Sorry will buy you in something on the lot.” Told to call customer service to complain. They didn’t even lower the price. They just don’t care. Very poor service bait and switch.

Original review: March 12, 2019

As a first (last time) customer, I was truly disappointed with Avis' customer service and professionalism. I pre-paid for my rental online and was never told that if I returned the car early I would not receive a refund of the days that I did not use the car. I paid for seven days and only used three days worth of the rental. I only received the deposit back and found out while returning the car that I would not be getting the rest of my money back. I was obviously not expecting this and I knew that I had done the wrong thing by renting a car from Avis when even one of their own sales reps told me not to reserve the car online beforehand.

I am willing to pay for the days I ACTUALLY rented the car but its ridiculous not to receive a portion of my money back ESPECIALLY if I did not rent the car for the allotted time that I originally paid for. Avis' customer service is beyond abysmal and I will not be renting a car from this company again. Avis might want to have a talk with their customer service representatives because they are even bad-mouthing this company, which is a tell-tale sign that NO ONE should be renting vehicles from this company.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Wish there was no stars. Have stolen money out of our debit card. Paid $499 ($99 for hire and $400 bond) and instead of receiving our $400 refund they've taken another $465 out of our account under another person's name. Fraudulent thieves! Do not use this company!!!! Have overdrawn our account and told us will get resolved in 5 days!!! 5 days to refund our money that they stole with no permission. Used the Noosa office to hire car and dropped back at Maroochydore office. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I rented a minivan from Avis in Thunder Bay, Ontario to take my family for a two week vacation in Florida. I picked the van up the night before we left, it was an awesome van, very comfortable and a pleasure to drive. On the first leg of our trip, near the first stop, the check engine light came on and the van began running rough. We called the 800 number and they told us to take it to the nearest Avis rental location. The agent there told us he wasn't going to let us drive this van anymore and forced us into another van. The new van was the most uncomfortable rough driving van I have ever driven. We were then told to go to Orlando Airport to exchange our Florida Van for and Ontario van. So after navigating the Orlando Airport and finding the desk (almost 45 minutes) the lady at the desk could not understand why they would tell us that and no she didn't have an Ontario van. So now another 30 minutes to get out of the airport.

Now we receive a call from the Avis we originally rented from and are now forced to stop again to pick up the original van that is not running properly to return it to the original rental location, so an extra stop on the way home with extra boarder crossings, and extra time. All this extra stress has ruined my vacation, I am tense and worried and stressed out about all this. Never again will I rent from Avis nor will I ever recommend Avis to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avis?

Original review: March 6, 2019

Avis, you and I have come to the end of the road. I have been loyal. I believed in you even when you didn’t have your act together. I stood out in the hot sun in Charleston, South Carolina - under a tent because you didn’t have a car waiting for me at the preferred parking lot. I stood there for 45 minutes - not once but at least three times in 2018. I spent an entire afternoon in Amsterdam after an overnight flight waiting for a car. A representative from London was there trying to figure out what was not working about that location.

Seriously, every rental I’ve done with you in the past three years has been a nightmare. But I was loyal. Until today. I was simply trying to update my credit card info to prepay for an upcoming rental - and the website wouldn’t take my card. I called the credit card company and all was well - but still, I could not get my preferred account to update. I then called the 800 number in Mumbai and was told after 10 minutes of explanation that who I really needed to speak to was customer service. Really, Avis. What happened to “we try harder”? What’s with the British spellings on your website? Are you just a second rate company trying to make sense of a world that’s left you behind? Concede, friend. Give it up. Merge. Whatever it takes.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My company rented me a car through AVIS in Dubai, for two weeks. The car had 71,000 KM on it. The interior was disgusting. I didn't want to touch the steering wheel, the cover was peeling off. Cigarette burns in the seats and carpets. Numerous dings and dints in the paintwork. They said they would email the receipt, never did on finding out why they had copied the wrong email address down. Last time I will rent with AVIS.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

They don't refund money and have the small print (who reads that?) on their website. Don't use them. It's dishonest. I would bet there are multiple other little clauses that cheat their customers. The service wasn't particularly good either and they tried to get me (one person) a 12 seat van rental because that was easier for them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I recently had to travel to France due to a death in the family. I booked with Avis.com (Rental agreement #: **). I prepaid for the rental and paid via credit card. I also declined additional insurance as it is covered by my credit card while booking. The car was ready at France Airport when I arrived on Feb 02, 2019. The agent verified my booking and gave me the contract. I left the airport. I returned the car on Feb 10, 2019 and left France.

Two weeks later I started to get this additional charges on my credit card. I was advised that I purchased additional insurance (Super Damage Waiver & Windscreen Protection). I was not informed about this at the counter. I contacted AVIS.com and launched a complain with Armando (CASE #: **). Was advised that it will be escalated as it is with AVIS France. I contacted AVIS.com after 10 days and spoke with Guillerno. Was advised that system shows it’s a valid charge. How can Avis charge me without my knowledge and authorization even though I have declined additional insurance when I prepaid my booking. I was travelling for a funeral and was under duress. Avis took an opportunity. Spoke to supervisor, Mark, Employee ID ** from Mexico. He stated that go and complain to your Credit card company. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Last year, I went to LA with my family as vacation. Rented a car from Avis and purchase insurance in the rental desk. That day, I had car accident in suburban LA. To make long story short, Avis claim handing company, Sedgewick denied pay liability for car accident and I end up getting sue document from the person got involved in accident. I called them and explain everything and begging to take action but they did not fast respond and always makes me calling again again... I have horrible experience with them. Don't even think about buying AVIS insurance. They are not responsible what they are supposed to do... They are not caring about customer at all!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Rented a car at AVIS Albury Airport signed contract, put down security $200 plus cost of one day hire $59. Upon return took them two day to return my deposit less $140 so they only gave me back $60. When I put down a $200 deposit said it was for extra klms. Never mentioned klm fees at signing of contract. In effect one day hire of vehicle cost me $190. Caveat emptor!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Defective, damaged, unclean car - Renault Trafic. 1. Gas/clutch exhaust was coming inside the car. The car was not checked, it was supposed to be fixed first. While driving a smoke was coming from the engine, and was going inside the car. As a result plans were cancelled for the trips with car. 2. The car was damaged, front bumper was about to fall off, a lot of big dents and scratches on the car. 3. Was not clean at all, as if it was just given to us from previous rent.

Bad customer service. Spent half of the day dialing customer service, dialed 2 for van and trucks and refused to customer service, told us not to call this number, and everyone would refuse service. Finally when managed to call manager was only refunded the days for not using the car and offered no upgrades, or contract cancellation.

Worst towing experience: took us 2 hours. We could only manage to get Renault towing service the next day and the guy comes out and blames us in French that we ruined the car and we do not know how to drive manual. He did not understand that we were given a car like this in the first place. I was able to get a policeman to explain him that it was not our fault. The only outcome: got refunded the days we did not use the car and a ride to nearby Avis in the railway station. Second car given was fine, and it did not have the above mentioned issue.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I rented a car for 5 days from Avis at the Las Vegas McCarran Airport rental site. Since I have good personal car insurance I specifically declined accident, personal effect, and additional liability insurance and that was recorded on the contract. As I finished signing the forms the attendant directed me to the bottom of the page and told me I needed to sign a last entry. The first line specifically states "Loss Damage Waiver is optional" and, thinking it was just legally confirming my choice to decline paying for insurance, I quickly signed.

The subsequent 5 sentences, in confusing legal jargon, turned out to reverse my specifically stated declining of insurance and reinstated it. However, it wasn't charge to me until I returned the car. This devious action by the Avis Desk Attendant doubled the cost of the car. After my complaints and explanation of their deception, Avis only refunded 50% of the excess charge. Guess who I won't bother to rent from ever again?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I reserved a car with the expectation that I would have the car ready at the airport in Atlanta. Upon arrival, the female staff was rude and disrespectful. She acted as if I’ve done her wrong in the past. The car I reserved was paid in full online and I presented the same credit card used to make the online payment. She said she needed to run my credit. When I declined and asked why she went crazy and asked me to speak with the online team over the phone. I requested to speak with a supervisor on site. She walked away and started attending to another customer on the far end of the counter. I have never felt so disrespected to that degree. I ended up going to another car rental but I paid more for a smaller car. Eventually I got my full refund from Avis. Worst customer service ever...

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We booked AVIS through BA in Italy and were shocked to be charged for alleged damage, fuel fill up and a host of other things like airport surcharge, local taxes, vehicle registration fee, TP and CDW charges - all included for free through British Airways, All of these were invalid and we even had the petrol receipt to prove it from the garage 500 metres away. We learnt later that AVIS Italy is noted for their scams. In Nice recently again booked through BA. Avis t offered a free upgrade at Nice airport. No money was ever mentioned. On return to UK they charged us for the upgrade 350 euros plus airport surcharge, local taxes, vehicle registration fee, TP and CDW charges - again all included in the BA price. We will never use Avis again - they use every trick they can to scam you.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Waited over 2 hours to pick up our vehicle in Los Angeles. I had prepaid for the vehicle but because my son who was the named driver didn't have a credit card they demanded I pay again and wanted to charge over 3 times what I had already paid. Even though I had a credit card as security they wouldn't accept it for the original booking but perfectly happy to accept the same card if I pay again at the inflated price.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Upon arrival, they (Avis Rent a Car - France) would not honour their online claim that the 2nd driver (spouse) was included, so we were charged for an additional driver which almost doubled the quoted price! Of course, not much you can do about that when there is a long queue and no other option at that point. To add insult to injury, two months after we traveled, another 100.00 (60 euros) was taken off our credit card as administrative charge for a supposed parking ticket. Another month later, we were charged a further 110.00 as administrative charges for the same parking ticket. What a racket. I will never again rent from Avis, that’s for sure.

Resolution response: Feb. 22, 2019

UPDATE:

After sixty five days dealing with seven customer service representatives and one manager countless emails, many phone calls and several document scans Avis has blessed us with the credit of our $88.08 to our Visa. Avis thank you so much for giving us our money back.

Although other companies for example an airline would compensate you for a seat change with upgrade, credit or miles. A restaurant will give you free dessert or a drink if they messed up your reservation. Heck insurance companies compensate $25 an hour for your work on a home claim. Not a profit but compensate you for your time and/or inconvenience.

Avis on the other hand provide only the same canned apology over and over again. Eight different customer service representative and all the exact same apology. Nothing else for our time and frustration not even an offer of a upgrade for our next rental. Not that we would rent from Avis again but we might have if they treated us with dignity and respect and understood our time is valuable too.

Summary of our experiences with Avis:

Avis had been an acceptable budget car rental for years and in most part their service is acceptable as well but we learned that it’s important to not trust them. Avis customer service is not a service at all its their to appear to serve you and protect Avis. If you rent from Avis do you due diligence and ensure all paperwork and transactions are complete before you leave Avis’s rental office.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My first bad review ever. Avis claim **. I never take the time to write a bad review but I’m compelled to tell our story to help any trusting traveler to be aware of Avis’ practice of overcharging and then acting like their customer service is helping. After 25+ years of almost exclusive car rental with Avis we find ourselves being treated as expendable customers for $88.08.

On December 18, 2018 Avis in Costa Rica charged us an additional $88.08 for a fuel tank fill up. We clearly returned the car with a full tank of fuel and the attended said he would credit our card $88.08. Apparently he forgot and we have spent hours on the phone and emailing to prove our innocence and their mistake over and over again. With Avis’ customer service you must prove your innocence and their error, they will not take the initiative as a customer service to actually provide a service. In fact Amy, Brenda, John, Christine, Mario, Linda, Karen and L have not provided any service to us at all. To us it appears if they wait us out we will give up. We will not give up. Avis is trying to take advantage of us and it’s wrong. Since the hours spent proving their error far “FAR” exceeds the $88.08 they never “as of now” credited our account we have decided to press on while reviewing them poorly and continue emailing and calling Avis. Avis claim **.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I booked my car with AVIS for 5 days from PUNE airport and dropping off at the same location. I've got confirmation email and SMS that the car is successfully booked and confirmed. When I landed in the Pune airport after several hours of Journey, I couldn't locate the car. So I dialed AVIS and checked "what happen to my car and why it wasn't delivered" and got an answer that "the car is broke down" and no car is available. I understand that it's not the only car available with AVIS and requested them to provide alternate car and agreed to pay the difference. They replied that "we do not have any cars available." I waited in the Pune airport for 6 hours with my family and a infant and fought with them, finally I gave up. Took a taxi for 5 days and started my journey. I'm a AVIS customer in USA and Australia, they are very with excellent customer service, But AVIS in India - you should be very careful and better do not book with them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Terrible Roadside Assistance that disconnects after 30 min hold times. Reservations department not able to assist where other departments fail. All supervisors inform that they cannot assist either. Emergency roadside assistance associate who hung up after quoting that they would get a manager involved - Crystal. Reservations associates- Scott & Joseph. Reservations Supervisor- 1st contact (name unknown), 2nd contact Jose.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

BEWARE! When you create an account with Avis, they require a CREDIT CARD NUMBER. And then they bill that card $2.03, which they claim will be refunded to your card in 2-3 business days. THIS IS CRAP! I SHOULD NOT have TO GIVE A credit card to create a user account. They get my card info when I show up to rent the vehicle! And at that point, they can verify the card! There is NO WAY that I can find to delete my account or my card number, which makes this even more suspicious, so beware! Once they have your card number, your address, your driver's license number, you cannot delete that info. And they can charge whatever they want to it without your permission!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Rented a car on Avis.ca and total was in CAD $ until my transaction was completed and turned out the total was in USD. Tried to reason with them but they said there was nothing they could do. Poor service, false representation, prices are too high for the very basic cars they offer. Do not do business with them... They are operating on bad faith and are not an honest company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I rented a car from Avis for just two days. I returned the car to the Philadelphia Airport office long before it was due back. A couple hours later I got a call from the manager (from his personal cellphone!). He said I didn’t leave the key when I checked the car in and that he was going to charge my credit card for a new key or to fix the glass if he had to break into the car. He said he’d check again but if he couldn’t find it he’d charge me. He was very rude. I called back about 15 minutes later to see if he found it. HE DID but didn’t bother to call me and let me know! Of course I sent a message to the main office customer service. I received a reply saying “Sorry for the inconvenience. We spoke to the representative about it. Thank you for contacting us. Your message is how we review things to do better.” Oh my goodness. Seriously?? Horrible company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was lured into booking a car rental with Avis that included a promotion to get 10% back from the rental value in an Amazon gift card upon completion the reservation. Although I have a confirmation email for the reservation with this promotion details Avis notified me they will not provide the 10% payback in an Amazon gift card. I called Amazon and they told me this is not their promotion and they never had any joint campaign with Avis. Clearly, AVIS is committing fraud & using the Amazon name to trick customers to rent cars. Stay away from them!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I rented two cars from Avis and I have received two letters for me to pay them $1000 and $2000 for major dent damage. First off, I did not dent their cars. There is something fishy there. The first car I have now been cleared and no thanks to them. I checked the odometer reading and someone smashed the car after I turned it in. The second car was given to me with a major dent and they told me when I picked up the car, "Don't worry about it and they marked it down." Avis people are very rude and unorganized and again something sketchy is going on there to have this happen twice. I feel like I am a target and I will never use Avis again in my life nor will my family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I went through priceline for a trip to Keystone CO via Denver. Avis car rental rep said, "I'm going to give you a nice car." I said, "I appreciate that." Long story short I prepaid the car through Priceline. I returned the car at 3am because I had a 6am flight, got my receipt and continued to the airport. After returning home I reviewed my receipts and cc statement, Avis charged me $566 extra for they said was an upgrade, I told them I did not authorize that they said you signed the agreement. I said I signed the agreement for the car I rented on provolone nothing was discussed about an upgrade. I'm telling everyone AVIS IS THE WORST CAR RENTAL COMPANY THEY WILL SCREW YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

It was 9am. I had just seen two lions in Kruger National Park when my tire blew out. The first rule of the park is NEVER leave your car. This is especially true when lions are near unless you want to be their next meal. No exaggeration. Someone driving by noticed my tire and kindly offered to return to the nearby restcamp and call Avis. "Great" I thought, since I had purchased roadside assistance. 9:30am, fellow tourist returns, says Avis can't be here until 9am - tomorrow. Are you kidding me??? The kind person also tried to find a park personnel to come fix my tire but no one was around. So I had no choice to leave my car and change the tire. I was sweating bullets the whole time. Scariest moments of my life. Finally got it fixed and drove to restcamp Satara where I called Avis. This was around 11am.

Again, they claimed they couldn't come until the next day as they wouldn't make it out of the park in time (Gates close at 6). Had they left at 9am when the first call came, they would've had plenty of time. Even at 11am, they would've made it out. They say they'll return my call with details. So even though I have paid accommodations up north, I have to book a room at Satara camp - at twice my budget since I'm booking so late - (Avis couldn't have put up one of their employees who brought me the spare?)

Then someone points out that ALL of my tires are bald. Another passerby notices this as well and mentions this is Avis's practice. I try to call Avis and tell them this, as I'd prefer not to have another flat. I get passed around, put on indefinitely hold, hung up on, redial, same thing. Told to call someone else, again put on hold, have to have my boyfriend call from the US. This goes on from 11:30 to roughly 4pm. Finally, someone tells me they are bringing another car, the exact model, in the morning. So I lose one day of my trip to stress and phone calls.

Next day, guy comes with car (earlier than expected, I'm getting coffee as I have no food but when I contact Avis when back home they fault me for this). I have to fill out a bunch of paperwork, inspect a new car which isn't identical to the model I had. I fact, the seats are so low, I have to pile a bunch of clothes a pillow on it to see over the window. And guess what. More bald tires. I mention this to the Avis rep and he laughs. "Yeah, that's how they come to us." Then he accuses me of driving on gravel roads which I haven't done. I don't get on the road until 10:30. If you've been to Kruger, you know the best sightings are early in the morning. Typically, I'm off taking photos at 5am so I've lost 5 hours. I drive to my next accommodation up North and am so terrified of getting another flat on these tires. I don't drive for three days.

When I do drive again, I'm constantly asking people if my tires are low and stopping by service stations to have my tires checked. The first service station tells me my tires are WAY overinflated, bald and dangerous. Finally, get the courage to venture out again. Two days later, another flat. From a thorn. So have to wait to have it changed (Fortunately, near a service station) Then have to spend my entire day driving to Avis for a spare. Again, lectures as if it's my fault. "Don't drive on thorns." There are billions of thorns in Kruger from the trees. All in all, I only drove 7 out of 13 days and had two flats. Although I sent a detailed letter to Avis SA, they wrote back with falsified information and denied any wrongdoing. I have since brought photos of my tires to established tire companies in the US and they were horrified.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My family and I just went to vacation in LA and I was very disappointing with AVIS. I reserved a car through AVIS a month ago and prepaid the car. When I went to the counter, the agent told me I would have to purchase an insurance. I told him I have an insurance and would like to use my own insurance and do not need to purchase one. He told me I have to purchase it; otherwise, he cannot rent the car to me. I again told him I have an insurance and don't need one. He told me that there is a state law in California and I have to purchase the insurance.

With having two kids and four suitcases, I told myself okay I will just call the customer service center and let them fix it. Well, I called AVIS today and they are telling me that I should have called them on the day this happened; therefore, they are not refunding the extra charge. I have been renting car from this company last 20 years. I refuse to give my another penny to this company. I am putting my experience here, so other consumers do not fall in this trick.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was taking the ferry from Buenos Ares to Montevideo, Uruguay the day after Christmas. I was supposed to receive my rental car after we disembarked the boat. The representative was nowhere to be found. There were other car rental counters at the port but not Avis. Avis misrepresented that they had an office in the port when they gave us an address that did not exist on our confirmation. We asked for a car at the other counters but they were all sold out as it was the week before Christmas and New Year's.

We wound up taking an Uber 75 miles to our destination at 8 pm. When I made this reservation 5 month ago I was told when I called that Avis counter was at the Montevideo Port. This was not true. And if I was told that from Avis when I made the reservation I would have looked elsewhere. Avis took my complaint and relayed it to the Avis office in Uruguay. I have had no satisfaction and Avis would not admit that the address on the reservation is bogus. I thought Avis was completely insincere and disingenuous in handling my complaint.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am disappointed and have had a terrible experience. I would have liked to have thought that you supply reputable and reliable companies but the experience I've had is below terrible. Points to consider: When booking the car rental, I was given 2 options. Basic cover and another option which waives excess and covers insurance. So I went for the better option although price was higher.

Upon arrival of Dubai airport Avis, I was hassled to buy the extra insurance again. Although I said I've already done this online, the sales assistant tried again and again to say it's better to take this OPTION. Once he understood that we will simply stick to what we already booked with auto Europe, he then goes on to say it's mandatory this extra insurance. It's the law. He demanded for an extra £109 approximately. I paid almost £150 for the full rental agreement with auto Europe, I found it strange he was asking for this large amount? I felt like this was false information and very deceiving.

I therefore went to Thrifty next door to ask whether this sounded normal or true. They informed me that there's no such thing and it's definitely just an option. I returned back to Avis and he was aware that I knew he was lying and ended up saying, "It's okay. We can proceed and you can pay nothing more. Don't worry." I simply cannot believe that a reputable company like Avis would employ someone of such corruption.

When being given the car, open the door and it was full of ants. Coffee was spilt on the floor, and its condition was shocking. If you would like video proof of this then this was taken. At this point it has not been shown anywhere else. At this point, a supervisor was spoken to and we was given another car of course but we should not have been put through the experience in the first place. Further to this, they asked to return the car full although the petrol meter was only 3/4 tank full when given.

On returning the vehicle, the Avis employee was doing his usual checks on the vehicle. He then was examining the backseat. There were 2 round rubber attachments on the seats which are part of the vehicle. It was present when I got the car and was present as I was standing watching him. In a very strange tone and sly behaviour, he was questioning what they were as he has never seen it before apparently. He was playing around with the rubber and just ripped it off. I said to him that it's part of the car and there's 1 symmetrical on the other side. He then says, "No it's damaged."

He then goes on to say, "Don't worry. No charge." But then he writes on the paper given back to me damaged and forces me to sign it although I said, "I did not damage anything as you just did this Infront of me." He said he knows and, "Don't worry. No charge." Again this can make someone feel very uneasy and uncomfortable not knowing where we stand. I couldn't believe my ears again. This company seems to be employing staff of corrupt nature. I advise no customer to go to them.

Avis Company Information