American Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a trip from Charlotte to Baltimore on Nov 19, 2016 with American Airline. The flight number was 001-7924996034. It had 3 hours delay. I wanted to go to my friend's home by metro. Due to the delay I was in Baltimore at 12:30 am. All the metro lines were closed at that time. I am a girl, and I was alone at that time. In Charlotte the agent of American Airline told me that in Baltimore, "If you speak with our agent, they will provide you a taxi". But in Baltimore airport, the agent told me that "we are not responsible for this issue, and you have to call 800-446-7834."

I called this number and after speaking with 3 people, finally they told me that you can take a taxi and upload it in our website. I paid 100 dollars for the taxi at that night! I am a student and it was too much for me! Today, I wrote a complaint in their website, and they sent me a 50 dollars voucher! This is my second bad experience with this airline (Last year the luggage of my spouse was lost during his flight from Paris to US). I do not want to flight with American Airline again and I do not need this voucher! I wanted the reimbursement for my payment but they refused to pay me the money. American Airline is the worst airline I have ever seen!

I am in the United States military. I booked my ticket through CheapOair to go to a mission trip to Haiti. I must spend more time there because the missionary group that is with me need my assistance for few more days. After I bought my ticket I made sure I bought the insurance plan with it in case I should change my return date. Now, when I call CheapOair, they told me to change the return date. I need to have documented military order or documented medical reason. Same thing happened with me few months ago with Southwest Airline. I bought my ticket while I was on deployment to go on leave to see my family. When I got home, my sister sold me her car that I had to drive back to Norfolk. I called Southwest Airline, they accepted to hold my ticket for a year. It was one of the Getaway ticket which was super cheap. I just used it recently. All I had to pay was the difference in price.

Now, with American Airlines, I am told because my ticket was so cheap, to change the date, I'd have to pay an extra $200 plus the difference in price. The way business go this day with Airline companies, the consumer is the loser in every case. The consumer pays for the ticket to fly plus the insurance in case there is a change; cannot get what he/she wants. I also called Tripmate the insurance company. They told me the same thing. Whoever is flying with American Airlines, if you buy a cheap ticket to not buy any insurance because it does not mean anything if you have to change the date.

We flew from Kansas City to Cabo San Lucas Mexico in November 2016. We arrived at our airport and proceeded to check in at the automated kiosk. We experienced difficulty processing our tickets and passports at the kiosk. We looked for someone to assist us in getting the kiosk to work and after waiting and looking for someone to assist us an American airline employee appeared and told us to go with her to the counter to check in.

Once at the counter we waited for the ticket agent to assist us. After waiting for the agent to assist us we were met with an immediate attitude and rude behavior, she proceeded to check our bags and complete our ticketing process, she informed us that we were 2 minutes (120 seconds late) and that we would have to pay an additional 400.00 dollars and catch a later flight. We told her that we would have been on time if we didn't have to fight with a kiosk and spend so much time standing at the counter waiting for an unresponsive ticket agent. We then asked for her manager which only made her even more difficult to deal with.

When her manager appeared he was rude and could care less. We asked for his corporate customer service phone number and corporate address and he was unable to tell us either and was also unaware where the corporate office was located. We have contacted the customer service department (a task that is difficult to do since they prefer to hide behind email and they contract that service out). Obvious sign of a poorly managed company with bad customer service. Everything about this airline says they don't care about the customer. The one who pays their salaries and keeps them flying. I will never use this airline again. Worst customer service ever. Even the division of motor vehicle has better customer service than American Airlines. I wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone. Buyer beware. Look at the number of complaints this airline gets. That alone should speak volumes about how horrible they are.

I took a flight from Little Rock to Indianapolis today. The First flight out of little Rock was significantly delayed. Despite the fact that I have a very small carry on, and despite the fact they know I have the hard time to make the next flight, the customer service person forced me to check it all the way to Indy at the gate. AA does NOT have a luggage gate checking! They claim no space in flight - This is however, not true at all. Ample space where I Sat. They were not filled when the flight took off. I had transit at Dallas Fort Worth, and due to the delay, cannot make the second flight. They put me to the next day flight and standby for the next flight 2 hours later.

When I request to have my bag sent to baggage claim, so I have it overnight for the next day flight, knowing I will not make it through stand-by list, it was also refused. My bag went to Indy airport overnight, not me. Throughout the process, the counter was rude and not helpful at all. Apparently if a customer does not have a premium status, he/she does not deserve the respect the equal quality of service.

This is not the first time I encountered similar issues with AA. Each time, I/my family ended up with extra costs and unpleasant experiences! The airline representatives do not even show willingness and effort to help the customers. Condescending behavior and easy excuses of "rules" and "policy" was disappointing! No more AA!

On Sept 2016 I bought a ticket to travel abroad to spend Christmas with my family since my husband passed away 2 years ago. I had some miles so I bought the additional miles to book the fly plus I paid additional fee for the seat. On Oct 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. From there everything happen so fast and I ended up having surgery on Oct 26th, 2016. I sent an email to customer relations because my radiation treatment was going to overlap my departure day. The only thing they offered was to waive the fees, they could not rebook my trip. I called then to rebook my trip and I found out that I needed additional miles costing $900.00. I asked to put my miles back then I went ahead and bought the whole ticket. I did this 10/14/2016 and I paid again for a seat.

Later on I found out that my Oncology center was not going to work the Thanksgiving weekend. So I called again to move my departure day. The first time I got a really nasty and rude agent his name "Harry". So I contacted again customer relations so they can put a note in my new record locator. Calling later on to move my departure I had to paid additional 270 dollars plus a fee for the seat. I offered to sent them papers to prove that my cancer diagnosis is real and all that I have to go thru. I was told that the seat fee is not refundable so I have given away to AA $136.00 just on seats fee. I would like somebody from AA could explain to me how an airline could be so heartless. I hope that none of the big CEOs or employees get cancer because if they do they should have shown more compassion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Had my 91 yr old mom wait in line for her boarding pass, 30 min in line...so she could get preferential seats. They took at least 10 min to check her in, with no bags, and documents readily available. Lady at desk gave her same old seats and lied saying they were preferential seats. When confronted with the truth the lady said "change seats at the gate". Why then wait the 40 min? A 91 yr old lady? No respect. Do we have to be over 100? SHAME ON YOU AMERICAN!

This flight had an 8:30 am scheduled non-stop to arrive at Chicago's O'Hare at 10:47 am. At 8 am, first boarding group was lined up and an announcement of a late flight attendant delayed boarding. For the next hour plus it was "20 minutes more". I asked if I should go for the 1-stop route, but it was communicated that route would still take longer than the delayed flight. Then we hear the flight attendant forgot her passport and was driving back home to get it. Another hour and they report she is in a limo between terminals. Another 20 minutes later, we hear the airlines gave up on the one flight attendant and now was bringing one in from Miami - at least 1:30 minutes away. A $7 voucher was handed out during this process, but no one understands why there isn't a backup plan for one missing attendant. Now scheduled for a 1:30 departure to arrive after 3 pm. Horrible, communication, planning, and execution!

I was supposed to fly from Boston to Louisville through Philly on American Airlines. The first leg was delayed by weather, mechanical issue, waiting at the destination tarmac, then a gate change from terminal F, where my connecting flight was, to terminal A, a 15 minute walk across the airport. I took the Philly airport shuttle then ran to my connection arriving 12 minutes before the scheduled departure time. The door was closed and no attendant was on duty. I went to another gate, the attendant didn't know where the AA worker was, I then found her, and asked to be let on and explained the AA flight issues. She got her manager but they said they couldn't open the door.

Since no more flights were going to Louisville, I took one to Lexington, and spent the night. I then rented a car the next day and drove to Louisville. I wanted to be reimbursed $88.52 for Enterprise Car Rental from Lexington to Louisville. The AA employees were not helpful and I felt like I had no support at any time from AA for this major issue. I posted the issue on Twitter as well, and AA was not helpful. I wrote to AA about this issue. Here is part of their first response: "Our records confirm your flight was delayed due to crew issues... it is not our practice to offer accommodations, compensation or reimburse for unexpected expenses. Therefore, I must respectfully decline your request for compensation or reimbursement of any out-of-pocket expenses. I am sorry to disappoint you."

Part of my response: "3 AA employees told me that I could email AA customer service to get reimbursed after I had my receipts: The gate manager, the gate customer services manager, and the AA phone representative. I would like you to reimburse me for the rental car. I am not asking you to reimburse me for the extra overnight stay in Lexington, the extra airport food, the inconvenience, or the 14 hour delay getting to my destination."

Next reply: "It is our policy (and that of most airlines), to not assume financial responsibility for out of pocket expenses after a flight irregularity. Furthermore, there are no federal aviation regulations requiring airlines to compensate passengers when the carrier delays or cancels a flight. This is true regardless of the reason for the delay/cancellation (e.g., weather, mechanical, crew availability, etc.)." Not traveling with them again, telling my friends and family, and all because they wouldn't reimburse me $88 like 3 employees said they would.

1 week, 2 continents, 6 flights. Half were late and two of the ones that were not were disorganized and not up to a reasonable standard. Appears that the near monopoly that AA has in South America is allowing them to operate at any level they choose. If this makes the shareholders happy I doubt it will be for long. It will attract competition and hopefully put them out of business. I suggest that every officer of AA be compelled to travel in coach (my experience was in business) as a normal customer because it is hard to believe that responsible management would put up with this level of service for very long. The moral of the story is to never, ever travel on American Airlines if you have a choice and that any further combination of airlines should not be permitted. Licenses to operate should also be conditioned on an acceptable level of service. It's hard to believe that incompetence with clients is not reflected in their safety record.

When my grandmother passed away my father, mother, & myself booked plane tickets from Fresno to Leon Guanajuato with a connecting flight in Dallas with American Airlines on Oct 29, 2016. To start off the plane was late to Fresno we left to Dallas an hour late. They DID NOT let them know in Dallas that my family and another 30 passengers on our plane from Fresno were running late. We rushed off the plane in Dallas and got to the gate right when they shut the door and didn't care. They mistreated saying that we were irresponsible and late when it was not our fault we were late Fresno. We were sent to customer service they replaced our flight with a new one going to Monterrey Mexico then to Leon Guanajuato. They told us they would let them know we were going. When we got there, the plane had left.

The EXTREMELY RUDE ladies like all the American Airlines staff ignored, disrespected us and again gave us airplane tickets knowing we weren't going to make it to Mexico. They gave us tickets from Los Angeles to Guadalajara because Guadalajara is about 3 hours from Leon so we ran to the gate and of course our tickets had no value. We were so upset and dissatisfied we just decided and told them to send us back to Fresno.

To top it all off they sent our luggage to Leon! Wow they couldn't wait for us but they took our luggage! I am disgusted with this that they call an airline. I will NEVER EVER fly with them again and have given the bad reference to all of my friends and family. I am hurt because I did not get to say the last goodbye to my grandmother and what kills me the most is to see my father suffering because he did not get to say goodbye to his mother due to the irresponsible and careless staff of American Airlines. DO NOT FLY WITH THEM PLEASE!

A flight I had booked was delayed by almost 7 hours because a flight attendant called out due to a family emergency. My wife and I had first class tickets on flight 2216 that was supposed to depart Phoenix to Miami at 12:55 am Sunday morning. Instead the flight was "delayed" and departed at 6:41 am. Almost seven hours after the original depart time. Delayed almost seven hours because a single flight attendant called out.

In my own experience, and with talking to employees in the airline industry, a delay of almost seven hours is unheard of. A delay of almost seven hours is more analogous to a cancellation. For a major airline in a major hub to not have another ready and available flight attendant is unheard of. To have not been accommodated on another flight out is unusual.

I originally booked flight 2216 because it was a non-stop flight that would get me to Miami with plenty of time to attend an important meeting I had in Key Largo Sunday at 1:00 PM. Even a delay of a few of hours would have still allowed me enough time to make the meeting. The delay of almost seven hours, the plane not even landing until 2:29 PM, caused me to miss the meeting. Thus creating a trip in vain.

To add to the frustration, the flight attendants working the first class section of flight 2216 were not of the caliber that are usually found in first class. Drinks were not offered before take off nor again at any point after the breakfast trays were picked up. They seemed to only be interested in talking and toying with their phones. I, as well as other passengers, had to get up from our seat and ask for additional drinks. (However, I would like to commend the flight attendants that were working first class on the return flight. Flight 1471 from Miami to Phoenix Wednesday October 26th. They were attentive and accommodating throughout the flight. The crew from flight 2216 could learn much from them.) Because of the overly extended flight "delay", which again, caused me to miss my meeting, as well as the inferior service delivered both by the cabin crew and customer service, I am requesting a refund for our flight.

Flight # AA324 - Date: 11/9/16- DCA to MIA. This has been the worst experience and I've never felt so disrespected by American Airline customer service. A woman named Monica checked us in with condescending and rude manners, snatched our carry on saying it was too big, when their flight already runs 40 mins behind and we had a connecting flight to catch. We took out some stuff and our carry on fits, yet she still refuses to let us through causing a terrible scene - threatening to not let us go on the plane.

If our carry on fits your qualifications, and we were boarding group 2, who gives you the right to physically SNATCHED our item from us? I can't believe that happened... having something physically snatched out from your hand. So so rude and disappointing. To make this short, American Airline- I shall never return to any of your flights again if you don't hire and properly train your employees. If good customer service is what you claim on your mission, please deliver it.

Decided to take my wife to Vegas for her birthday. We arrived in Vegas and got ripped off by the Taxi driver who overcharged us. The stay was great till the morning we were returning home. Got on our plane and was told that the flight was delayed due to fog in LAX. So 30 minutes later we were told we were leaving and taxied out. Got to the runway and the pilot came on to ask if we were gambling people but the flight was going back to the terminal.

After another 25 mins of waiting we taxied out and took off and headed to LAX. When we arrived we were told our plane to Indiana had left and had to go to customer service. 2 hours later after waiting line we were told we were out of luck the next plane did not leave till 12 hours later. So we asked about a hotel room. We got told if we did that it would be at our own expense and the airline would do no more to assist us. Now we are over 200 dollars out of pocket for food, extra parking. Also my wife lost a day's work. Customer service there is NONE. We now don't get home till 9am so we left at 7.30 am and no rest and get home 9am next day. Will never fly with these clowns again. Staff is rude.

I flew on American Airlines from Chicago to Beijing last Monday, and returned on Friday. Flying there was just fine, but returning was like spending a night in a demon's house! I was flying First Class and the staff on the American Airlines Flight #29 from Beijing to Chicago were very rude and treated the passengers as if they were prisoners. We were yelled at if we were not in our seats and were told if we were not in our seat, it would be given away and we would be put off the plane at SFO. (We stopped there on the way, but no change of planes.)

We were also told that if there were any problems, the restrooms on our flight would be locked. The plane was FREEZING cold and no food available. (I brought my own.) Many of the footrests were broken so people were unable to rest on the 18 HOUR flight that was supposed to be 16 hrs. The bathrooms were locked due to no water. The bathroom on our car was never available and when I asked about it, the attendant would not answer me.

I will NEVER, ever take American Airlines again and have told everyone I know of my horrible experience. The woman attendant on my plane to Beijing from Chicago was lovely. I wish I had gotten her name so I could thank her for being a normal person. I now have a bladder infection from holding my urine for 4 hours. My back is in constant pain from the fact that my footrest would not raise up. I also paid over $3000 for my first class tickets and the way back, I get very rude staff. I am so aggravated that is how first class passengers are treated. This is the single, worst trip I have ever been on.

I fly 100,000+ per year. I often see folks getting bent out of shape over the weather or issues not under the airline's control. Traveling is an "adventure". There are countless scenarios which you have no control of. My best advice is to roll with the punches. Yes, I understand the anguish, frustration and disappointment. As a suggestion, I have found that instead of yelling and someone, ask for help in a gracious fashion. Are the airline perfect "hell no" but with the right attitude, your experience will be much better. Yes if you are paying $$$ you should expect the "bar and shower". But with typical travel, the object is getting there. American Airlines is my Travel Partner and is has been a Win/Win for several years.

I was trying to plan a trip to Alaska and Japan with award miles in September 2017. What a joke trying to plan ahead. Tried to book business/first class miles saver to Alaska. Tried for 4 days traveling from Florida at different airports online. There is no such animal award travel business/first class miles saver. I also tried the exact award travel from Japan to Florida with different airports. There is no award travel in these classes. DO NOT JOIN ANY FREQUENT MILES PROGRAMS WITH AMERICAN AIRLINES. BEWARE. If you are extremely lucky getting an award in these classes you will have at least two stops with gaps and crazy hours.

I flew with American Airlines last year with my wife and 2 kids and the flight was delayed an entire day and night. Due to the inconvenience of having to spend that entire time in an airport, especially for our 2 kids, American sent us 4 eVouchers with a reference number of AA Ref # **. However, I didn't realize they expire in one year because, as I told one of their representatives, we take our vacations every other year. No one I spoke with at American seemed to care, even though I'm supposedly a 'valued AAdvantage member'. I wish American Airlines would treat their members better, but I guess it's time to look at other airlines for traveling.

I booked a round trip flight for 10/21-10/22 from LA to Phoenix for my husband and myself through Travelocity. A week before the flight we needed to change to a later flight. I booked a new one-way ticket, then called AA to inform them that we would not be on the earlier flight, but would take the return flight. They said there would be no compensation for the original outbound flight. I told them, "OK, but we would be taking the return flight." When we arrived at the Phoenix airport for our return, we were told the return flight had been canceled. I explained the situation to the reservation clerk and she said that because we did not show up for the original outbound flight, they canceled the entire ticket. To make matters worse the flight was full and we could not even purchase a ticket home. There wasn't an available flight until much later and that would be stand-by and we would have to pay $216.

When I made the change, no one ever said anything about our return flight being canceled! AA was able to take both our paid reservations and sell them to someone else. They offered no compensation and no help. We went to Delta and purchased our tickets home. I wrote an email to AA and the response was that because we had booked through a 3rd party, there was nothing they could do and our problem was with Travelocity, not AA - even though I had contacted AA about the change. Until now, AA had been my preferred airline (I travel 3-4 times a year). When you're on an airline and they thank you for flying with them and say, "We know you have other choices..." that's exactly what I'll be doing - making other choices. Shame on AA for taking NO responsibility for this situation and being so disinterested.

I am an 80-year old woman who flew American on Sept 27 with a cat, a husband with dementia, 2 suitcases and a cat carrier. My flight left around noon from Phoenix, Az to St Louis, Mo. TSA made me remove the cat from the carrier while they checked it for what seemed like an eternity, then they had to "touch" the cat. I was afraid he would panic and get away from me so I sat on the floor and cradled him in my arms with his head tucked into my armpit! The American agent on duty behind the counter came out and sat on the floor with me while this went on. All I can remember about her is that she had blonde hair. She deserves a medal, a raise, some kind of recognition for this extraordinary gesture.

On October 2, 2016 I was booked and flying on American Airlines Flight #1467 from SMF-PHX-DEN for my aunt's funeral. I had previously on August 28, 2016 had a bad experience on American Airlines Flight #6010 to LA, then to LAS. That flight we sat on tarmac for 45 minutes causing everyone to miss connections. I am a disabled widow who is wheelchair bound due to crushed spine. The Las Vegas trip they took me in Los Angeles off plane for connection under several planes, between maintenance crew to get me to connection.

Now remember I am an American Advantage member only because my brother-in-law is a American Airline flight attendant. My brothers are pilots for PSA & Jet Blue, my father is retired United Airlines pilot after 40 years, I came to CA on United from Denver at age 6 months, grew up United baby & all 3 are also private pilots with their own airplanes. My baby sister was on maternity leave as a United flight attendant via N Y. on 9/11. On Oct. 2, 2016 I checked in at SMF, was given tickets to DEN, put in wheelchair with PreCheck Status, I was stuck in a corner until EVERYONE else boarded plane when oh, we forgot about her in wheelchair last.

On Oct 4, 2016 I was returning home after exhausted and stressed from funeral, arrived at airport in DEN early being my father had to get an early United flight home to SFO, me going DEN-PHX-SMF again. I arrived at counter she gave me paper tickets, I asked about PreCheck and wheelchair, she told me, "Move aside." 20 minutes later I asked again, she said, "Oh, go over there and sit in handicap and I will call someone." I hobbled over, they sent someone but I didn't have "PreCheck" so they had me taking shoes off... a bunch of unnecessary things... I knew I hadn't taken my meds yet so I asked to stop & pick up a Snapple & a slice of pound cake to go in my Gucci purse to take my meds on flight. Well this time they got me there in time, boarded me 1st and I told the attendant when we land in PHX I have 30 minutes to my SMF connection, be ready.

Well I was so exhausted I fell asleep but when we landed I was ready to make the big rush, yet forgot to take my meds. We rushed all right, we landed at 12:50, they started boarding on other side of airport so I screamed that I was supposed to board at 1 pm, it was 1:05... They ran all the way so that we had 8 minutes to get me on flight and they were waiting on me. I was last to board. As I boarded I headed for my seat but the rude attendant told me sit down, right at bulkhead, I told her I wanted to go to my own seat, she screamed "no, you sit here", another passenger complained for a minute then finally shut up, seeing I was wearing my younger brother's Alameda Police Dept. hat. She snatched my Gucci bag and put it in one of those bins somewhere, I started complaining "I need my purse or at least my meds", she ignored me. I started pressing button as we were pushing off, she ignored me... That was the last thing I remembered...

The next thing I remembered we were in Sacramento, a doctor was staring in my face, trying to arouse me because as I later found out I had been UNCONSCIOUS before we took off from PHX Flight # 1562 all the way to SMF. They say the passengers became concerned but the attendant said, "Leave her be, she's sleep." They were concerned because I was slumped over & hadn't moved a muscle... even as they disembarked in Sacramento. That was when it apparently with the passengers attention, after EVERYONE had left plane except crew they realized I was UNCONSCIOUS and got a doctor. He finally got me alert, though I couldn't speak, I motioned to that SAME PURSE up there somewhere, he opened it, found my meds, forced them in me followed by some juice, and as I came to, they were all standing at door NOW CONCERNED, I WAS HOME...

They asked if I wanted an ambulance, me being retired medical. I then realized my blood pressure had dropped dangerously low & no food, I had lost consciousness. I told them all I wanted to do was get out of American Airlines hands & that for their sake my daughter-in-law was waiting for me, not my son... Oh God No... They would really have had problems. They wheeled me to baggage dept. got my checked bag, and got me to her immediately. She in turned called my doctors who wanted me to check in to hospital but by then I was so stressed & tired I said no. The next day, I've got excellent doctors, they put me on bedrest for a week, then I saw one of my four doctors Tues Oct. 11, 2016...

Now because of that all four doctors are running tests on me. They were upset because I have a seizure disorder (my meds are for that), crushed spine, still grieving husband's sudden death, in cancer remission, and they are now concerned about throat or thyroid issues. American AAdvantange the following day documented my complaint and gave me 19,000 miles on that AADVANTAGE Flyer miles...

I told everyone I don't ever want to fly American Airlines again after 2 bad experiences and those mile things, I had only accumulated from my Aug 28, 2016 flights SMF-LA-LAS roundtrip & October 2-4, 2016 SMF-PHX-DEN roundtrip only accumulated 900 miles... When my husband was alive that's a little under how many miles we would drive from our home in Placerville to Las Vegas one way. The August trip was my 1st trip back to Las Vegas ON MY (WOULD'VE BEEN 27TH) ANNIVERSARY... They need to do something in the high offices of American Airlines because my family, friends and esp. my doctors said that whole flight home I could've had a heart attack, probably had a seizure or died and they wouldn't have known 'til I got back to Sacramento... My "husband" was making sure I got HOME.

I booked a flight from Monterey California to Austin Texas. I had the option to fly from San Jose or San Francisco but I found convenience to fly directly from Monterey. When I arrive at the airport I was told that my plane was going to be delay 2 hours (to Phoenix because there is a construction problem that delays flights since a month and half ago). Really? You know and you don't tell your clients? Due to that I missed my connecting flight to Austin, and got there late by 8 hours. I did not need my 498 dls room at the JW Marriott in Austin neither the upgrade of 100 dls to first class so I can come in and out of the plane quickly. No one will answer my questions or complaints and they all give me a different phone number to a different department. This people has no empowerment or responsibility whatsoever.

Our experience with American Airlines (AA) has been unacceptable. We booked our flights in Australia and our national carrier uses AA for domestic fights in the USA. I will contact Qantas separately regarding the alliance. We had 3 internal flights with AA with 3 strikes. The first flight from Miami to New York was rescheduled to another flight and we were provided with new details. No problem there, except when checking in our booking was void. Nil care factor from check in staff and after much hassle someone managed to find our booking. Tickets issued with no seat allocation. Upon boarding we were issued with seat allocations and we were separated. No big deal however we did pay to have our seats allocated on all flights.

Second flight from New York to Phoenix has same issue with seat allocation. I understand you just buy a seat on the plane but surely you can be allocated a seat next to your partner. This is no rocket science, just customer service. Third flight from Phoenix to Honolulu was delayed by 1.5 hours. That happens. We had a transfer from Honolulu to Maui so we rescheduled that flight, which cost $280. As it turns out the delay is more than 2 hours and we miss the rescheduled flight.

Apart from the incompetence mentioned above, my main complaint is the customer service staff. I have been in customer service all my life and I can smell good from bad a hundred miles away. The service is bad and it is a cultural issue. It is arrogant and dismissive. They are obviously busy as all flights were fully booked or overbooked. I have always snored USA for customer service, however recent experience with AA had altered my opinion.

I was flying from Portland, OR to Tucson with a stop in Phoenix and was told that the flight would be delayed. When I, and others booked on the same plane asked whether we would be able to make our connecting flights, we were all told repeatedly, and in rather nasty manner that "all flights out of Phoenix would also be delayed", so there would be no problem. When we arrived in Phoenix, none of the connecting flights had been delayed. We then had to wait in line for about 1 1/2 hrs to be told there would be no help, no hotel accommodations, & no flights out until the next morning. About thirty of us coming from Portland were lied to about the connecting flights, and we were all abandoned in this manner. A refund? Maybe $25. What a joke! And baggage? It took more than a half an hour for them to find it! This wasn't service. This was a disgrace! And sleeping in an airport is not fun!

I purchased a ticket on my credit card for my mother-in-law. The purchase was made on October 3rd and I received a confirmation and purchase receipt by email on the same day. Today, October 20th, she went to the airport and was not able to check in because the airline cancelled her tickets, when they decided that the purchase was a fraud. I don't have a problem with cancelling a ticket or with them suspecting of a fraud, but if they decide to do so, the least they need to do is to send an email or make a call to let the customer know that their ticket was cancelled and another one needs to be issued.

I called the airline while my mother-in-law was waiting at the airport and had to wait a while for someone to pick up my call, then I was transferred to the fraud department where you can only leave a message, so I called again, waited again, had to tell once again what my problem was, to hear that they were sorry but couldn't do anything to help me and if I wasn't satisfied, I could feel free to file a complaint. Really? So now I also couldn't purchase another ticket with my credit card, my mother-in-law tried to make the purchase herself at the airport and they can only accept cash. Is this for real? Is this a way to fix a problem that the airline created once there was no fraud to begin with, and to make it worse, nobody notified my that the ticket was cancelled! This stupid airline made no efforts in fixing this huge mess! I'm extremely frustrated and outraged at this.

American Airlines forced me to lose my flight and they did not take responsibility for it. They did not allowed me to change my flight for a fee. I was out of luck. Even after multiple complaints they will not reimburse my fee for taking another airplane. I lost over $1,300 at no fault of mine. My family and I (4 of us) arrived at the san Jose airport more than 90 minutes before airport departure (Their online guidelines say to be there 90 minutes before departure).

The automatic ticket machine had some problem recognizing our flight to Phoenix AZ, so we had to get in line. We finally checked in with our luggage about 60 minutes before departure, due to the long counter check-in line. We headed right to the security, but security was very slow and we made it 5 minutes before departure to the gate. They did not allow us inside because we were too late. They had already closed the doors (they said we had to be there 15 minutes before departure time).

They sent us outside security back to main counter to change our tickets for a fee because we had missed the airplane. But then after taking a little break and accepting that we had lost the airplane we called the airlines from our cell phones and they told us that it was too late to change flights for a fee. We had to change the flight before departure time. Now it was too late and we had lost our flight and our money, there are no refunds. So we took another airline to our destination and paid over $1,300. I made a complaint to American Airlines but they will not reimburse our money. They say that there are too many unknowns and they cannot refund us our money.

They took our luggage in the airplane, but not us. We were there obviously on time otherwise they would have not checked in our luggage. They say that if security is slow, it is not their fault. Then they could have at least changed our tickets for a fee when we arrived at the gate 5 minutes before departure time. When I called to make the change it was already after departure time, so they could not change our tickets and we had lost the flight and our money.

What horrible customer service and airline policies! This can happen to anyone. You get there on time and still lose your flight and they don't take responsibility. I will never fly with American Airlines again and suggest you don't either, unless you want to risk losing your money and little things like these go wrong at no fault of yours.

My wife and I made the mistake of booking our flights through American Airlines this time, rather than through Delta, which we average 10 to 12 flights a year on. What a mistake! Flight 1, on September 27, 2016 was delayed on the ground for 2 hours in Panama City, Panama while maintenance was performed on some part of the aircraft. Sat in the plane roasting for the entire 2 hours.

Flight 2, on September 29 was delayed on the ground for 1 1/2 hours in Raleigh, NC while the aircraft returned to the gate for aircraft maintenance. After 1 hour the pilot announced that the maintenance had been deferred, as in no work was actually done on the plane! However, he went on to say that phoning AA Headquarters and refiling required paperwork would take a few more minutes. It actually took 30 more minutes... Flight 3, today, October 16, our flight has been delayed in Miami because of aircraft maintenance. We are here at Gate 60, which you may know leads to an outdoor boarding area. American employees passed us all through the gate to the outside where they left us standing for 30 minutes waiting for a plane to roll up.

It began to rain, and became quite miserable, so after everyone slightly damp from the blowing misty rain, they allowed us back inside the building, where we were told that if the plane could not be repaired, they would try, as in attempt to, to find us another plane. Seriously! The incompetence of American Airlines has left me extremely disappointed and dissatisfied. As there appears to be no accountability for this very poor service on the part of the airline, next time I will vote by avoiding American flights completely. You suck, American Airlines.

Terrible in-flight service and I use the term service reluctantly. When I arrived at my destination my brand new, 180 dollar suitcase had a huge gaping hole in the side of it that you could put your hand inside of. I went to the customer service desk and showed them the obvious damage and they looked at me as if there was something wrong with me to even suggest that they look into the matter, much less compensate me for my luggage which was no longer usable. HORRIBLE people and not even an apology which would have been something... anything.

Starting August 2016 American Advantage program does not give the miles that you flight to your account. They put 5 miles for each dollar you paid!!! Crazy! I flew from Miami to LA and LA from MIA and they put 1030 miles in my account and the total miles flew were 2341 miles each way. Do not join the Advantage program!!! It was good before, but now I recommend to use Delta or another. This is the only program that does not give you fair miles.

We booked 4 first class tickets for a family trip to Maui in Feb 2016 with a departure of Dec 23, 2016 on AA. After 3 time changes on our reservation, during the year, on Oct 12, 2016, AA split the family in separate reservations and thru different cities with arrival times 3 hours apart. The explanation was that (with 2 months to go) AA dropped a flight from Boston to Dallas and they only had limited seats, so they split us up, 3 family members on a flight arriving 4 hours later, after a sole family member that leaves 3 hours before the others.

Do I believe that a flight is cancelled 2 months before departure is scheduled. NO. Do I believe that they change reservation for financial gains??? YES. Do I believe that AA is behaving like the "old" US AIRways??? YES. Is this AA going down the tube in customer satisfaction and treating Platinum level customers like dirt (JUST LIKE USAIRWAYS DID) YES. Shame on you Mr. Parker and tour executive team. You lost me as a customer, and I will only use Emirates, Jet Blue, Virgin America etc (that is why the legacy airlines are losing customers and revenue is decreasing) and NEVER again will use AA.

American Airline flight 5359 on Sep 29 was to depart from Reagan National Airport at 8:15 pm. We started getting text messages, the first at 11:28 am delay depart 9:13 pm, the second at 3:27 pm delay depart 9:38 pm, the third delay depart 10:01 pm, the fourth delay depart 10:21 pm, the fifth delay depart 10:49 pm, the sixth delay depart 11:09 pm, the seventh flight to Jan canceled. They boarded us on the flight and then the pilot came from the cockpit and said the flight was canceled because he had reached his maximum capacity for flight hours and due to federal regulations, he wasn't allowed to fly.

The flight was canceled because AA did not have a pilot to fly us to Jackson, Ms according to AA's pilot. But that's not the worst part. When we get back into the terminal, after deplaning, the agents at customer service told us that the flight was canceled because of the weather. Now your pilot stood there and told us you didn't have a pilot, there wasn't anything going on with the weather. They stood there and outright lied to all 47 of us. But you know they didn't have to put people up in a hotel if they said it was the weather. I have put up with a lot of crap from AA but this was just the worst. When they told that lie, it made me feel like someone had taken a crap on me. Oh, there is so much more to tell but I am just tired. How do they stay in business? They are like the worst.

Compare Airlines