1.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

2743 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was on an almost 2 hour flight (Flight AA3936) stuck sitting with one leg over my bag and the other on the edge of the aisle. Not once was I asked to check in my bag nor told it wouldn't fit on the overhead bin. By the time we landed my knees, hips and back were killing me and I had to have help from the gentleman next to me to be able to stand up. So glad there wasn't an emergency 'cause this would have been one hell of a hazard. Lesson learned not to use this airline again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

American Airlines…the new standard for horrible service. Oh…I mean HORRIBLE! I travel very frequently for work and have stuck to one specific airline in order to build my status with them (ie. first class upgrades often, better seat choices, free checked bags). Recently, service has taken a turn for the worse. I’m a reasonable guy and tolerate more than most. Call it my Southern hospitality, my upbringing or my service to the community when I served in law enforcement, but I just plain put up with more…until now.

On a recent flight, where I sat in coach, but was two rows behind first class, I got up to use the restroom…in first class. The flight attendant stepped in front of me and said that the restroom for “my class” was in the back of the plane. Ok…mmm…let that slide, but rude. Soon after, I was on a flight where I had been upgraded to first class. I was minding my own business and watching downloaded programs on my iPad, all the way through the boarding process. Once boarding was complete, the flight attendant stopped near me, waved her hands, to get my attention, and smiled.

I took out my headphones and politely asked how I could help her and she pointed to my iPad and told me that if I had been listening, “like a good little boy” I would have known that I could not have my laptop out during takeoff and landing. I replied that it was an iPad and she threw her hands in the air and said, “little boys never learn and they don’t listen”. Several other passengers actually told her to leave me alone and that she was picking on me, as the rules state specifically laptops and I was using an iPad. I ended up putting my iPad away and was “a good little boy” so mommy dearest didn’t continue her wrath. So much for first class upgrade. Second strike, but mmm…let it slide. Also, I’m a 43 year old man, not a little boy.

Fast forward to this week and my flight from Louisville to Houston. Flight is delayed, but gate attendant assured me I’ll make my connection in Dallas. Connection flight starts to board, while I’m still en route to Dallas, so I land and sprint to my gate…only to find that the door is closed and the flight has left. They rescheduled me, but still…not an enjoyable time, running in boots and a backpack through 30 gates.

Departing this morning to come home, I arrived in plenty of time and checked in at the ticket counter. I had already returned my rental car and thought nothing more about it. Ticket agent smiled, checked me in and on my way through security. Moments later, I learn that my flight was delayed. Ok, a normal thing and no big deal. Well, I was delayed hour after hour after hour, until about four hours passed and I boarded. I make my connecting flight in Dallas and arrive in Austin 10 hours after I made it to Houston that same morning. The whole, “why did I return my rental and not just drive” crosses my mind. But wait…there’s more!

I get to baggage claim and wait the standard 20 plus minutes, in Austin, that I’m accustomed to. Only to receive an email from American Airlines that says that my bags are on a later flight and will be delivered for free, at a later time. So, off to the airline baggage area to speak to an agent. I wait there for 10 minutes, in room full of people with similar complaints. I finally check the app and it says that my bags were unloaded in Austin. I wait for another 20 minutes and I locate my bags in the carousel, grab them and head home…a lot more frustrated this time.

I get home, an hour trip from the airport, and grab my luggage…only to find that it’s partially open and both of the brand new locks that I literally just bought are missing. I open my bag and expect to see a TSA inspection letter, which is normal in my frequent travels, but find nothing but tossed luggage. It looks like someone rifled through my case, maybe because it is a hard-sided Pelican case, with Magpul stickers (for easy identification), snapped one of the two buckles closed and ditched the locks.

Now…now I’m upset. I call the airline, only to explain my situation and get transferred to someone else who asks the exact same thing. I get told that proof of purchase is needed, file claim forms are needed and then they say…”Oh, Sir, we see you are a valued member with status”. Really?!? Now you decide to reimburse me for my $15 locks and skip the claim forms because of my status? What happened to treating me right, all along, because just like the other hundred plus paying customers on those flights…I’m a customer and I’ve earned that.

How about not having TSA intentionally dump the internals of my tool bag, just to be rude, or drag my Pelican case face down across the parking lot and laugh (oh…I’ve been watching the airline baggage guys out the window) or speak to me without an attitude or, just maybe stop stealing things out of my luggage to include my brand new locks. I’m watching you American Airlines and I see that you are the new standard for horrible. I’ll work on my status elsewhere. You and I, are done!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I travel 80%~ for Work and have flown with almost every airline multiple times. AA is by far the worst. Not due to their customer service/staff/delays or anything like that (at least that I’ve noticed), but their planes have no entertainment system on each seat, they do not play movies on the overhead screens, and they don’t even have a free WiFi movie/tv option you can connect to using your phone! I’m currently on a flight from Boston to Phoenix and was utterly shocked when I sat in my seat and noticed no form of entertainment for a cross-country flight. Delta and other airlines provide personal entertainment screens on each screen or a smartphone connect feature for 2+ hr flights, which in turn make the flights more enjoyable. Anyways, to avoid rambling on and on about the lack of technology on AA planes I’ll just say if you enjoyed traveling in the late 90s early 2000s, then AA is for you. If you want to travel in 2017 and beyond, find a different airline.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had a horrible experience today on my flight back to Miami. I have been an AAdvantage member for many years now and have always chosen to be loyal to American but after today's experience that may change. The onboarding process was fine and the flight was on time, which to be honest is rare but I was happy. When the snacks and beverage cart came the attendant did not smile, looked unhappy to take our beverage order, handed me and my husband 2 cookies, I then I told her, "Can we just get pretzels?" She said "Then I need the cookies back." I was honestly appalled.

I understand if the airline has a policy on one snack per customer but I'm seriously confused on how an official count is kept especially if individuals opt for no snack in the first place? She was continually frowning for the remainder of the trip and it just became uncomfortable at one point. I was an HR Manager for United and would never recruit an employee that had this type of energy.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Don't deserve single star. Also, I have a flight from Chicago to Minneapolis 5 hours from now. And they have seats available on the earlier flight but won't give you without charging $75. They are ok to make you wait or fly a flight with empty seats but no customer delight which is no cost to them. No customer driven company and not looking for going extra mile to make customer happy. Never travel on American Airlines again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Worst experience ever with AA never again, they treated my dad like garbage, they humiliated my dad in front of my niece travelling with him and in front of all passengers, just because my dad is ** and not fluent in English. I wish I could sue them for discrimination against my dad for not speaking English fluent instead of offering assistance in Spanish which, the sky harbor airport in Arizona has plenty of bilingual employees. DO NOT FLY AA EVER, pay more with a different airline. The only reason why my dad and niece flew AA to go to my brother's funeral, thank you AA for the worst day ever. It's a shame I have to put a star instead of no stars service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This American Airlines review is out of frustration due to a lot of things. They're a disgrace! The employees are rude, there is no leg room, no entertainment, and treat people like herds of sheep. They have a "New" rule where they charge $50 at the gate to carry on your luggage. Are you kidding me? $50 for a carry on? And I can't even use the overhead bin! Disgraceful! Basically these guys are crooks! They're a disgrace. Last time I flew with American their flight was delayed by 2 hours and we ended up missing our connecting flight because it was the last flight out. We ended up having to stay an extra day and had to pay $100 for a hotel. We missed my sisters wedding. On the way back we ended up stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours. Of course!

This company is an absolute nightmare! I don't care if it's free. These guy are crooks. I would never support a company that disrespects people like this. They're a horribly ran company. All the miles of racked are for nothing! I will never fly American. You should never fly this company. I'm seriously outraged by their fees, lack of service, tardiness, rudeness, incompetence, lack of morals, no integrity, bait and switch tactics, laziness, and how bad they are ran! P.S - Beware of this disgraceful company! DO NOT fly with them! Go with another airlines.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I booked a ticket back when the hurricane were hitting down south every other week. Because of that I was not able to attend my trip in GA. They told me I had up to a year to use my ticket. So when I try to rebook my ticket they are now close to $500. Mind you this is the highest rate out of all the airlines for my particular dates, I asked for a refund because I didn't wanna double what I paid the first time and I was told by the Supervisor (Willie ** in Dallas ) that my only option was to "use it or lost it". Being a supervisor myself I thought the tone in which he said it was very careless and he didn't try to help the situation at all. I would never talk to my customers the way he spoke to me especially after losing out on $300!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I just completed a flight on American Airlines. I had read negative reviews, but I found the American Airlines people I had contact with were great, tried to provide all the service they could because our flight had been cancelled due WX and had to layover at ORD. My complaint is the phoney coupon given for a hotel room for a "discounted rate". The coupon has nothing to do with American Airlines, but is only a hotel booking service. When I called the phone number provided I was told the only available room was 10 miles away and given a rate of $80.00. It was getting late in the evening so took it. Then was advised there was a $15 service charge to book the room. American Airline paid none of this. The shuttle bus to the hotel was packed (Other delayed passengers). When I got home I checked the hotel rate and found the same room went for $105. I "saved" $10. The hotel was a Holiday Inn Express. Room not bad.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I was en route from San Antonio Texas to Hong Kong and when checking in for the domestic portion of the flight at the ticket counter, the woman claimed there was a problem with my passport. I asked for details and she claimed "There are spots on your passport." I told her the passport was still valid and did not expire until the following year." She made up some baloney about Homeland Security not letting people fly with spots on their passport. I told her I checked their website and there was no mention of anything like that. She then claimed, "Oh, they don't tell you." I said, "Then how are you supposed to know?" She then sarcastically claimed I needed glasses, so I put my glasses on and told her those so called spots are not a problem.

She then stated she had to check with her supervisor and left the counter with my passport. I was getting pissed but determined she was not going to stop me from going on my trip, so when she left I started tagging my bags. She came back and said, "It's ok." She just wanted to ** with me, I am sure. It is no wonder the NAACP has issued a warning to ** travelers when flying with this airlines. I hope I never have to again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

On 10/21/17 Gate L8 Karen. I approached to asked a question this was the initial gate for my flight, she totally ignored me never acknowledged my presence. After about 10 minutes I walked away from the counter. She IMMEDIATELY acknowledged the person that was behind me... I guess I wasn't the right person for her to service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Where do I even begin? I had a round trip flight booked from Toronto, Ontario to Busan, South Korea back in the month of July (2017). While I was away, I heard the news that my dad had passed away. In which, I contacted American Airlines right away and asked if anything can be done. I wanted to fly back before my actual trip date, due to obvious reasons. I even offered to provide them with a death certificate if need be (although, I don't think that is even something they should ask for right away). I spoke to 3 different customer service reps who were all horrible to speak with. They had zero compassion and empathy and just dismissed me as if what I was experiencing was far from a big deal to them.

Not only did I feel crappy about my experience with them, I also felt like it's not something I should have gone through while losing a parent at the time. I had to end up booking a flight with a totally different company, in which I paid an extra $1300 for. AA practically told me that my ticket was null at that point and they couldn't do anything about it (which I think is **, because you can always do something about it). I will never fly with them again. I'm super disappointed in the disservice they had and I really think their agents need more training.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was on the plane for 14 hours due to a delay. Sitting in a broken seat that would not recline. I told the stewardess and she could care less, said nothing she can do. After I got home I contacted the airline and they issued me a fourteen dollar credit. I had paid 197.34 dollars for preferred seats. The worst flight of my life, never again w/ this airline.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Overall, (Un)American Airlines continues to disappoint. I really only ever fly with AA as a last resort, and I can't see any reason to recommend traveling with AA. I was prior active duty Army, and now I'm a reservist, and only American Airlines makes me feel like my service is less important now. United, Southwest, Jet Blue, Delta, every other airline doesn't discriminate between Active Duty and Reserve/Guardsmen when it comes to bag fees. So, along with uncomfortable, outdated planes and poor service, I spent a $100 checking bags to and from my destination.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

American Airlines is the worst airlines to fly anywhere. They cram you in the seats with no leg room or any room for that matter. I requested a wheelchair at airport and waited 30 minutes upon someone finally arriving. They took me the wrong way to my next check in and I missed my flight. They said I would have to rebook my ticket and just wait for the next flight. Attendant at the gate was very disrespectful and not helpful at all. I had no control over this situation at all. Not to mention when I did finally arrive at my destination that I requested a wheelchair prior to my departure.

I was asked by the women if I needed to stop at the women's restroom before we went down to baggage claim. I said yes and was gone for about 2 min. And came out and no-one was there and my belongings were just sitting on the wheelchair. I will never fly this airlines again and this will not be the last they hear from me. I’ve tried contacting their customer relations department 4 times now, and have not heard back from anyone. I tried calling their number again and the assistant says this is the only way to file a complaint. These big companies are just ripping people off left and right. Never again!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

American Airlines is the worst airline in THE WORLD, and should change their name, it is utterly disgraceful that as an American they use this name. Their policy is to not apologize for anything, to be as rude as possible to people who are basically held hostage to them and their BS policies like closing the door to the gate while people are standing there then charging them money to rebook their flight, not caring at all about the bags on their way to a destination without the owners there to pick them up. Then being told when lodging a complaint that it was going in one ear and out the other. I have never been treated so poorly in my life, I will never again fly with this airline, I hope they go bankrupt and get the worst karma life can give. Oh yeah and I get to fly with them tomorrow. :/

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Very disappointed. Unlikely I will ever choose American Airlines again. I didn't make my flight in the spring. I was given a voucher to use for future travel. Now I'm being told I can only use it myself, and not for my family. I don't want to use it for myself. What difference does it make? I'm being told different things by different people. The last guy hung up on me and I wasn't even rude to him. This is how AA does business? All I want is to not be penalized for cancelling a flight that was beyond my control. If you have a voucher it should be flexible to use for anyone. AA is the WORST! Hope they go out of business for this nonsense. Airline travel is a joke.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

American Airlines canceled my 92-year-old father-in-law's flight to Key West due to Hurricane Irma. On that day American Airline was contacted and the representative said there would be no problem re-booking, just use the reference number. American Airlines even went on TV and said they would waive re-booking fees. Today when calling to re-book the flight and after 57 minutes on the phone, I was told the flight could not be re-booked because it was in their notes I requested a refund. At no time did I request a refund and American Airlines could not locate any record of a refund request. Even so, American Airlines still insisted they could not re-book the flight or issue a refund. If we did not have enough trouble dealing with a Cat 4 hurricane and its devastating aftermath, now American Airlines is adding to the misery. All my father-in-law wants is to come to Key West and see that everyone is alright. Thanks, AA.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought tickets for my mother in law and son to meet my wife and I in Colorado. We had traveled on different airlines due to connections and therefore were going back on different airlines. My wife and I left on our airplane. My mother in law and son were stranded as the plane had a mechanical. This was 8 AM and the bottom line was it didn't get fixed that day. American gave them a 12.00 voucher good in the terminal and did nothing to get them a room as the rooms they usually used weren't available.

She purchased a room for the night (180.00) and American feels no responsibility to reimburse the room, they want to give an 80 year old woman a voucher good for travel in the next year for 200.00. I have never complained about an airline nor felt the disgust I do for American Airlines right now and will not fly on them again period. For them to not attempt to help this woman in her plight caused by them is inexcusable and demonstrates what is wrong with the Airline Industry anymore, poor service, charges for everything and no empathy for the traveler.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I booked 2 separate flights on American Airlines in Economy since I pay for my air travel. On one they pre-assigned me a back-of-plane middle seat and said that I was required to pay some increased fee for window, aisle or closer to the front. On the second flight they said I have to wait until I reach the boarding gate for any seat. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. The airline has sufficient revenue to - just a suggestion - increase the "base" fare to cover a first-come-first-served seat selection and not put everyone into 3rd class or worse status. If they want to surcharge certain premium seats, like middle seats toward the front, that's OK, but this behavior is totally unacceptable and I refuse to fly them (or any airline) that abuses their passengers.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Well I looked into changing my flight for my fiance and I to go home a day earlier... only to discover that American charges $200.00 a ticket PLUS the difference in price tickets! LIKE THAT IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! So for the price of another ticket I can change my flight! I will be looking elsewhere for flights in the future. I have already paid for a flight and now you are trying to rip me off even more!?! Out of touch and terrible service to a customer of over 5 years. I will be going elsewhere where I don't get bent over the table. Thank you American!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I originally booked my flight to Miami from Washington, DC back in July 2017. I was scheduled to fly September 13-18, 2017. I, like many, had to cancel my trip because of hurricane Irma. I was informed by two customer service representatives that I would be able to rebook my flight to Miami with no additional charges in fare and no change fees. Of course, when it comes time to book my flight, I'm informed about a change fee. I told the agent, I was reassured twice that I would not be charged any additional fees because my initial cancellation was weather related.

But of course... she sees this "NoWhere" in the notes, typical! I had to speak to a supervisor to override any fees. Also, they claim to have a 24 hour change/cancellation policy, for refunds or changes within this time. I needed to make a change to my reservation within the 24 hours after I booked. The representative tells me... the 24 hour policy only applies to the initial booking, the one I had to cancel due to the hurricane, that was made back in July 2017. I asked her, “How is that even feasible? My ticket had to be rebooked, and now you're telling me that the 24 hour refund/rebook can only apply to the trip I had to cancel???”. NEVER FLY WITH AMERICAN AIRLINES!!! TEAM SOUTHWEST AIRLINES ALL THE WAY FROM NOW ON!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

American Airlines is full of **. Our cruise was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. It was beyond our control and the airline stated there was nothing that they could do. No partial credit, changes or anything! I will not be flying with them anymore!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My husband and I were scheduled to fly out at 7:15 am to go to California for a very important family matter. We do not live near the airport so we were up early to make sure we were early and nothing could go wrong. But things did go wrong. When we got to the airport we went and printed out tickets at the self checkout. We did notice that it mentioned no overhead storage for our carry on bags. So confused because we fly a lot and there is always overhead storage or they place in under the cabin. So we asked a lady that was standing in the area of self print and she looked and our tickets said we would be fine... Again we were told wrong.

We get to our gate. We wait to get on, however when our group is called we are told we have to check our bags. Confused we asked why and then said ok. But then she proceeded to say it was 50 a bag and we each had one so it'd be 100 dollars to check 2 carry on bags! At this point I was upset because we specifically asked about this before even going through security and getting to our gate. If we checked it before security it would have only been 50 for the both of them. But since we were at the gate they were charging 25 a bag plus 25 conveyance fee per bag. I tried to explain that the lady with American Airlines told us we didn't need to check them in.

Her come back, "We are trained to not apologize. You seen the screen when you checked in, so not my problem." Are you serious. So you train your employees to be rude like that? I work with customers and guests everyday and I fire my team members for being rude to my customers. So I then agreed because the plane was already boarded and we really needed to get on, asked if I could pay for both bags together so one charge on my card. She said it'd be an additional 10 dollars to run both bags on one card. Again I said, "Ok do it," she said, "I already ran it for one so it'll be two transactions." But guess what, somehow my card was declined for the second bag. I have way more than enough to cover that in my account and was looking at my account, I said, "Run it again." She refused. Said that we had to go out to main area. Said that my card was declined. Only my husband or myself could board. Not the both of us...

Like who's going to want to leave someone behind and get on a plane without the other person. At that time both ladies at the desk went and closed the door to board the plane and said my 50 that she already charged me would be voided and I wouldn't be charged. Once downstairs we had to get standby tickets for the next flight that leaves at 1025. Which makes us later than we were supposed to be. We had to pay for bags again saying our money should be refunded from the lady who wasn't trained to apologize to customers. We fly often and we will not ever fly with American Airlines ever again. I'd rather pay less and ** service. Don't waste your money on this airline. Go with Delta or Southwest. Anything but them!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

On September 4 my family of 5 arrived at the airport in Anchorage to fly home to Toronto via Dallas. Four of us had carry-on sized luggage but one had a mid-sized suitcase that we knew we would have to check. Our flight to Toronto included a 12.5-hour connection at DFW (not by choice). Since none of us sleep well on planes, we were considering going to a hotel following the overnight flight to DFW. When checking the suitcase, I specifically asked the American Airlines agent "if we only check this bag to DFW and then go to a hotel for a few hours of sleep, will we be charged a second baggage fee to check the bag in for the flight to Toronto? If so we can rearrange the bags so that we can just check it through to Toronto."

We were told by the American Airlines agent, "No you will not be charged a second fee to check the bag in for the second flight", we decided to check the bag to DFW and to make arrangements to sleep at a hotel near the DFW airport. When we came back for the second flight we were charged a second baggage fee. We told the American Airlines agent that we had been told in Anchorage that we would not be charged a second time. The American Airlines agent said that we must pay to check the bag because the computer is telling her that, but that we should dispute the charge with American Airlines. I paid the second fee that we were told we would not have to pay and then contacted American Airlines to dispute the charge. I had back and forth exchanges with them by email but they refuse to refund the second baggage fee.

Let me be clear, I specifically asked American Airlines if I would be charged a second fee before taking the action that resulted in the second fee and I was told by American Airlines that there would be no such fee. I was lied to by American Airlines and they have no integrity and refuse to live up to their own words. They told me I would not be charged twice and then turned around and charged me twice. No integrity whatsoever! No respect for the paying customer. I fly for work a few times each year and will not be flying with American Airlines for as long as their theft of a second bagging fee remains in their possession. They have my baggage receipt numbers and the flight numbers and my email address based on about half a dozen exchanges.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I purchased the basic economy ticket. When I was getting ready to board in Charlotte, the attendant mentioned that this was a new program for your airline and that customers have stated it was cost effective. However, this was not my case! I paid nearly $600 to fly from Columbus, OH to Asheville, NC. Absolutely absurd!!! In the future, I will do all I can to avoid flying with your airline and don't count on a positive recommendation from me to others! Also, stop charging for the first piece of checked in luggage!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I did a reservation with AA Sept 10, 2017 over the phone to Miami for Sept 12, 2017 in the flight # 1399. September 11 I checked the flight online and it was canceled. I called customer service. Patricia told me that I was wrong it wasn't cancel. I called at night again because I was worried I saw it was still cancel. After almost 2 hours they answered the phone. I told them what happened. They told me that they were very sorry but the flight was canceled and they didnt' have flight for Sept 12. They gave me 1 stop flight for Sept 13.

I asked twice if I can cancel the flight with them because I needed to flight Sept 12. He told me, "Yes you can do it before 24 hrs." Sept 12 I called them to cancel because I found a flight to Miami for Sept 12, and a very very rude representative told me she cant give me my money back. It is not my fault they cancel. How they are going to sell me a ticket if they were not sure the Miami's airport was open. Everybody here in Miami told me: How American Airlines don't know the airport is not sure is going to be open Tuesday if it in the news they told that. In conclusion American Airlines stole my money.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I was scheduled to fly out of Tampa International on Sunday, September, 17th to Durango, CO. I live in Sarasota, and just returned home the other day after evacuating for Hurricane Irma. I fled Florida and headed to Georgia, where I had to rent a hotel for a few nights. When I returned home I was fortunate enough not to have suffered damage. I of course have yard debris strewn about and I am still without power. The power company has estimated by the end of the day on September 22nd I will have power. With the extra costs incurred from having to leave my home, and the loss of power, I decided this was not a good time to travel.

I already have a ticket purchased to Durango, on October 3rd. I decided no reason to change this ticket, I had hoped being that there was a hurricane, American Airlines would show compassion and empathy for passengers and allow refunds. Of course that is not the case. The supervisor on the phone told me that they will however waive my fee for changing my ticket. They seemed to think this was very generous of them to do. The lady proceeds to tell me I have a year to use the ticket. Then corrects herself and says a year from the date that I purchased the ticket. Wow American Airlines, way to be supportive of our citizens during this time of need.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Hurricane Irma was mess for AA. I get it. I'm sure there were thousands who were stuck trying to get their flights changed. Unfortunately, I was in Costa Rica with a connection via Miami and I got, as the AA agent said "the short end of the stick." I would be stuck almost another week in Costa Rica as everything AA had was booked out or cancelled. I saw a little bit of silver lining when I found that if I could get to Mexico city, I could fly home via DFW. However, AA would not change the ticket as it is against their rules to change the country of origin on a ticket. "We cannot do it." However, a more accurate description is "will not."

AA has chosen where to draw the lines that limit their liability and responsibility to make things right. It would have taken precious little effort to fix this problem, but all they would offer was a refund on my ticket and I was stuck purchasing another fare - via Delta - last minute at more than three times the cost of what was refunded. American Airlines has lost my business. I have been travelling long enough to know that some companies will make an effort to make things right, even when it's just a matter of poor circumstances (weather). I'm complaining because I think American Airlines should review this policy, especially in light of disasters like hurricane Irma. A little more flexibility would mean less money going out in refunds and more clients happy with an airline that made the effort.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

We were delayed on our AA out of Seattle due to having to wait on flight crew. Managed to make it to Dallas on time BUT had to sit on the tarmac for 20 mins waiting for a gait in order to deplane. This caused to miss our connecting flight. Next available flight is the next day. Asked about compensation for overnight hotel stay (there are 7 in our party, including a 3 year old) and were denied due to the delay being coded as weather related, which is absolutely bogus. So livid, frustrated, and tired at this point. Also found out AA has no number to call for complaints... You have to go through email so who knows if they will even read it or reply. Will never fly AA again if I can help it.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information