American Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was traveling for four weeks december-january 2017. I bought my AA tickets in September. The debit card I used was stolen ten days before my travel. All my other flights were fine and I received a "looking forward to your trip" email in January. I boarded my first return flight in Sri Lanka to end in Seattle. When I was at my layover in Abu Dhabi, I was pulled aside at customs and told I could not continue my travel.

It was 3am, I am a female traveling alone and I am in jean shorts. American Airlines said the bank informed them that the tickets were fraudulent and an unauthorized purchase. I use a small local bank and know this is not true. American Airlines ran my card after I boarded my first flight and saw that my card was cancelled due to fraud. The issue was not handled appropriately or in a timely manner. I was forced to miss my flight, leave the airport and purchase $1,300 ticket home, including the flight I already took, and $170 in hotels. I was refunded my original $576 ticket.

After I made it home, American Airlines told me to dispute the charge with Visa. Visa told me that they would not refund my charges because I used the service. I go back to American and they say they reviewed my case, apologize, but they will not do anything. Should I just be grateful I made it home? $2,000 is a big hit, not to mention the anxiety it caused. I expected a refund and compensation for the inconvenience/anxiety. I understand there are measure to detect criminal activity, but this one was a mistake and handled improperly. I will never fly AA again.

On April 5, 2017 my wife and I boarded our flight from DFW to PDX. This was to be first-class seats which I had made several months in advance. I am tall so I specially made sure the seats were not at the bulkhead which is very uncomfortable for me. Once we boarded the aircraft we found out they had changed our seats to the bulkhead! I was upset and asked for an explanation but was given none. It appeared to me that the two who occupied our seats were airline employees who were very happy with the seats and had no intention of switching to the bulkhead. I was never told in advance of this change or asked to approve it, etc.

My experience is terrible. Not only they charge you for a full price ticket with no meal to Nicaragua. You have to pay $25 per luggage. It ridiculous. The flight always leave 30 min later. They need to regulate this.

My luggage was lost so I immediately reported it. They told me they would deliver my bag directly to my home which they did, however several items were stolen. I filed a claim as directed and was told they would review my claim and contact me after 30 days. It's been over 60 days and I never received a callback. I called for a update on my claim, they told me they didn't have my claim and that I need to start all over. The agent I talked to was Christine from central baggage. She was very rude, seemed annoyed by my call and hung up on me. I've had a horrible experience. I hope I never have to fly AA ever again!

I don't know why the ticket agent in Yuma would give us seats that were across the aisle -- my 5 year old daughter and me. You don't assign seats that are across the aisle. I didn't realize that the seats were this way until we got on the plane in Phoenix. So, I immediately told the flight attendant. She didn't care at all and just told me to ask the other people to move so my little girl could sit next to me. The flight attendant did say that the plane was full and there were no other seats. She didn't care or do anything to help. So, we stood up by the seats until the other people showed up.

I had to explain everything to them, and they had to process it all -- so we blocked the aisle for some time while they decided if they wanted to switch seats. This would mean that they would not get to sit together in the seats they paid for. They were very nice and decided to let my little girl sit with me. As we were standing in the middle of the aisle trying to take care of this -- the flight attendant yells out over the loudspeaker that we had to clear the aisle so we could get away from the airport on time. The flight attendant was very rude!

When we got in the air I got up and noticed at least 4 areas where there were 2 empty seats together. But, it didn't end there -- I went back to the restroom and had to wait/stand by the 2 restrooms since they were occupied. The flight attendant was getting her cart ready and I thought she was going to start pushing it down the aisle -- so I stepped aside so she could get past me. She immediately shout out to me, "I need you to stand over there." She pointed where she wanted me to be. I told her I moved so she could pass by me with her cart, I had stepped aside to be polite – I told her that. She was just rude. People do not order me about so that was shocking! I am not used to that type of behavior. It doesn't seem appropriate for a flight attendant to speak to a customer like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

I flight from Austin to Phoenix on 04/08/17. I paid for priority group to get in the airplane first. I came to the gate a bit late and group 1-5 already in the airplane but a lady at the front desk to me just get in the priority line, however, the girl at the gate told me to go to the back of economic line since she thought I was cutting the line because I am Asian. Okay, I get it, when it is my turn to get in, the girl she I have to check my bag since it is too big but when I asked the front desk lady she said the bag is fine, I just need to put it under the seat. Maybe she does not like Asians.

We are a family of three, with the 13-year-old child, booked a flight from Providence to Washington DC on April 7. At 6:15 in the morning. During boarding time rewards were offered for volunteers to give up their seats for $500 miles bonus. At the end we were notified that we had no seats. The passengers who gave up their seats were booked on the next flight. We however were booked in a much later flight in the afternoon and we're just given $200 bonus. It's clear that American Airlines are looking after their business interests rather than customer service. It's clear that American Airlines are looking after their business interests rather than good quality customer service.

Had reservations for the 6th traveling to D.C. on 4-6-2017 arriving in D.C. At 8. Started to board. They couldn't find the flight attendant and cancelled it... Rebooked and ended up in Charlotte NC with my flight cancelled to D.C. So no flights until 4-7-2017 said it was field problems... Problems alright. Flight attendant must have got lost in field somewhere... Very rude... No apology or vouchers... Poor customer service.

I need help to solve a problem that I'm having which has been giving me a lot of stress and headaches. I got to LAX, Los Angeles International Airport, to catch my early flight that was leaving at 06:20 am Monday, April 3, 2017 (Record locator: SGWXGH) and my frustration started from there. First, I went to the check-in point hoping to use one of the computers to do the job myself, and everything was going well, until after paying to check my bag and waiting to have a bag tag printed, the computer simply shut down.

After waiting for what was about 10 minutes for someone to show availability to help me, they came and saw the machine problem, and then tried in another machine 3 times before giving up and sending me to a line where I could talk to one of the representatives. I wait another 15 minutes for it, and once more they try to print my bag tag with no success out of their computer, the lady asked me to wait and came back with a bag tag that she put it on and asked me to pay $100 dollars for the extra weight, which I did. And I was finally free to try to catch my flight on time, I already had lost at least 45 minutes to print a tag.

Since I suffered a small accident the Sunday before my flight, I couldn't walk as fast and by the time I got to the gate, my flight had already left. Then I was put in standby to catch a second flight 2 hours later, with no guarantee that I was getting on it, which for some miracle I did. I had to buy internet during the flight ($24) because I wasn't going to make it on time to participate in the office meeting I supposed to attend. I ended up losing a day just to come back and I first thought that buying a direct fly from your company would avoid this problem.

But the situation wasn't over yet, I then get to Miami only to find out at the baggage claim that the lady back in Los Angeles gave me a bag tag recipient in the name of ANA **, and not mine: CLAUDIA **. After talking to someone at the customer service, they said that my bag was on the terminal in Miami getting ready to fly to MANAGUA. What irresponsibility! She said that I shouldn't be worry because they should have my bag back in a few hours, but today 3 days later there is no sign of the bag!!!

I went to Los Angeles to work and my professional clothes, makeup, perfume, electric toothbrush, and all that I need to be presentable at work was inside of the bag, without mentioning that I have a Real Estate exam, the Official Florida Real Estate Exam this Saturday at 08 am, and I NEED a book to study, which was in my bag!!! Plus, I brought all my taxes information with me so I could fill them out on my free time, and this is now lost SOMEWHERE! Anyone can have access to such valuable information because the company failed in delivery a service I paid for it and paid extra!!!

This is beyond disrespect with customer and I wait for a promptly solution. I'll buy a few items today because I have important meetings tomorrow and I can no longer wait for this and I expect to be reimbursed for them as well as the exam cancellation since I'll try to postpone because I need my book. Please, help me with this situation because I expected more from this company.

Just yesterday I had a terrible experience traveling with American Airlines and I feel it is my duty to share my experience so others can see and choose not to give this terrible airline any business. For my return trip from Washington DC to Pittsburgh on 4/5/17, I was scheduled to fly with a friend on flight #4317 at 1:41 pm (The original flight I had booked was flight #4140 departing at 11:15 am but way back in January, American Airlines had already changed my flight to #4317). Me and my friend arrived at the airport before 10 am hoping for a smooth flight but had no idea what this day had in store for us.

With minutes left to boarding, first American Airlines delayed our flight to 4:33 pm without making any announcements as to the reason of the delay or even a simple apology. Then shortly after, the flight was further delayed to 5:33 pm, which was followed by an announcement that the flight was cancelled. I immediately went to the counter and asked the reason for the delay and was told that the airplane coming to pick us up had mechanical issues and was late. When it finally arrived, it was reassigned to another flight at the next gate that was earlier than us but had also been delayed (no idea why that flight too was delayed). We're told there were no other direct flight options available and would be rerouted through LaGuardia.

We were then scheduled for flight #4453 at 4 pm to LaGuardia and then flight #4665 to Pittsburgh at 6:25. However, the boarding passes were confusing as the boarding time for the 4 pm flight was 4:50 and boarding time for the 6:25 flight was 5:55. The DCA-LGA flight was clearly delayed and would be arriving at LGA after the take off time of the LGA-PIT flight. So we were scheduled for a connecting flight that we absolutely could not make!!! In the meantime, I received an email from American Airlines saying we were rebooked for the 9 PM LGA-PITT (and not 6:25). When I went back to the counter after waiting in line one more time and pointed this out, I was told to disregard the email and go by the boarding passes in hand.

We had to transfer from gate 35X to gate 29, which was only possible by bus without exiting the security area. We had to lift up and carry our carry-on luggages down several stairs to get to the bus and then up again to get back to the new gate, which was a huge inconvenience. When we got to gate 29, we immediately went to the counter to ask for further advice. The customer service agent at the desk was in the middle of something and I decided to wait for him to acknowledge me. Which never happened! We just stood there for 15 minutes in silence, after which my friend asked how much longer the wait would be and he said a couple minutes. He made us wait for another 10 minutes without saying a word and then left the counter! We were so annoyed by all of this looking at each other in utter disbelief.

Another agent came over a couple minutes later and told us she can't help us and that we are supposed to go to the agent in the middle of the gates for ticket issues. Had the other agent told us that, we could have been waiting in the right lines instead of standing for 30 minutes accomplishing nothing! We waited in line in the middle counter for several minutes. When it was our turn, one of the agents made a sign with his hand saying he was "done" and said he couldn't help us. He actually got up and walked away saying somebody else would come. But nobody did. We had to wait for even longer before the only agent available could listen to us. At this point there a huge line of at least 20 people waiting to talk to someone as so many flights were canceled at DCA that day.

Finally our turn came up and we talked to the only available agent. She agreed that we would not make the connecting flight and we should go by the email and not the boarding passes! This meant we would be leaving LGA at 9 pm and arriving at Pittsburgh at 10:30 pm. At this point we had looked up direct American Airlines flights from DCA to PIT on our phones and there was one at 9 pm. There were three first class seats available but we were told that we could not be issued those since we were traveling in economy class, which is ridiculous since it was American Airlines that inconvenienced us terribly in the first place and did a terrible job with their customer service agents to make up for it.

I also called American Airlines customer service and asked if we could be put on the direct DCA-PIT 9 pm flight instead of having to go to LGA first to board a PIT plane at 9 pm! I clearly pointed out that my friend had terrible vertigo and threw up the entire flight in their 3-seat-per-row (never seen that before - one seat on one side of the aisle and two on the other!) tiny regional jet on the way to DC on April 1 with terrible turbulence and that she really wanted to avoid an extra flight. Once again we were told on the phone that we could not be issued those first class tickets (They were available for purchase online but we could not afford to pay $1073/passenger).

So we accepted our fate and had to spend more hours and money at the airport. Our 4 pm flight which was delayed first to 5:30 was then further to 6:09 and then even beyond that while waiting in the plane for a runway. In fact the pilot announced that we would be waiting for a runway for another 40 minutes, which now started jeopardizing our chances of even making the 9 pm flight from LGA to PIT, which is the last flight for the day. Fortunately, the runway wait turned out to be only 20 minutes and we left DCA around 6:45. At this point we had been at the airport for 9 hours!!! The only redeeming thing was the flight attendant in this plane who sympathized with our experience and even tried to look up seats on the 9 pm direct PIT flight for us. We left the gate before she could finish looking up so there was no choice. We were going to LGA.

Once we got to LGA, we immediately walked to the next gate to make sure the 9 pm flight was on time and not cancelled. At this point we were holding boarding passes for this flight and could not wait to get home. Once the boarding time came around, we were in the last group and when the agent at the gate scanned our boarding passes, they were not validated. We were asked to wait in the corner while everyone else finished boarding. The agent started typing things on her computer and said that we were not checked in for our flight and our seats were assigned to other people!!! How is that even possible? We had boarding passes with assigned seats!

We had just arrived from another connecting flight from DCA to LGA and nobody told us we were supposed to check in to our LGA-PITT flight upon arrival at LGA. Plus if we are holding boarding passes for the next flight and clearly boarded the previous flight, how can we not be checked in??? At this point there was only 2 minutes left to take off and after fiddling around with her computer for many more minutes, the agent issued us new boarding passes for completely different seats. And she was only able to do that because there were empty seats available! Which means that if it had been a full flight, we would be left behind unable to fly home on the last flight of the day, stranded in a city we did not even intend to travel to.

We made it to Pittsburgh at 10:30 pm instead of 2:52 pm like originally planned, both mentally and physically exhausted and drained after our all day ordeal and spending more than 12 hours trying to get home. What a waste of a day and what a shame that American Airlines handled this huge inconvenience in the worst possible way they could. Clearly their only goal is to make money and they just nonchalantly cancel flights and don't care what their customers go through. Their agents don't even care enough to acknowledge the customers.

This reminds me of a very similar experience I had two years ago with US Airways, which subsequently merged with American Airlines. Similar story of a flight cancellation hours before the flight and not even a phone call. We had to spend another $350 to stay over on a Saturday night in Vegas and rushed to make it to the next scheduled flight at 6:00 am. We arrived at the airport 44 minutes before the flight and was told that check in time was over at 45 mins before the flight. We tried to explain that we already suffered a flight cancellation and paid out of pocket for a room but nobody cared. After arriving at the airport at the crack of dawn, they made us suffer at the airport and wait till the red eye flight to PIT at midnight.

It is only fitting that two companies with terrible operations and customer service like American Airlines and US Airways should merge! I will never travel with American Airlines even if their prices are more competitive than other airlines, which they often are not. I will share my experience on all social media platforms and customer complaint websites so others can stay away from this horrible airline!

We missed a connecting AA flight in Miami because of mechanical problems with AA flight in NYC. AA's next flight to our destination in the Bahamas (North Eleuthera) wasn't until the next morning. Rather than miss a day of our vacation, we opted to take a taxi to Ft. Lauderdale ($99) and take the next flight from there to North Eleuthera, which was on Silver Airlines. Before we left the Miami airport, we tried to retrieve our checked luggage from AA to take with us. We were told that the luggage had made the flight that we had missed and would be waiting for us in North Eleuthera (this turned out to be untrue).

I called AA to ask for a refund for the flight we missed, which was due to an AA mechanical problem. I was told a refund would be issued and would show up as a credit on the credit card we used to pay for the flight. It's been more than a week now and we still haven't received a credit. Either the AA agent lied to me or AA is incompetent.

I emailed AA separately to seek a refund for the $99 cab fare to Ft. Lauderdale. That request was promptly refused by AA Customer Relations, even though that would have cost the airlines LESS than if they had paid for us to stay in a hotel overnight and take their next flight to North Eleuthera the next morning (which is what their policy is). They had the gall to use that opportunity to ask us to fly again with them soon: "While we do not offer compensation or reimbursement for personal time lost or tickets purchased on other airlines, we can certainly understand your frustration... We are eager to demonstrate the on-time flights and high quality service you expect and we want to deliver. Please travel with us again soon."

When we arrived in North Eleuthera, we discovered that had bags had not been on the flight that we had missed and were not waiting for us, despite being told that by an AA employee in Miami. The bags didn't arrive until THREE DAYS later (half way through our one-week vacation) and only thanks to persistent calls to AA. It turned out (after several calls) that AA sent the bags to another location in the Bahamas (Nassau) on another airlines without my authorization - and irrationally. Because they Sat in Nassau for several days because the receiving airlines didn't know what to do with them or refused responsibility. It took several (increasingly angry) calls for AA to finally take responsibility and follow-up with that other airlines.

While dealing with AA about both the missed flight and the lost luggage, AA personnel were totally unhelpful. If AA had alerted the connecting flight that we were delayed and asked them to hold the flight for us (10-15 min.), we would have avoided all this aggravation. Once we missed the flight, the rebooking agents did nothing to help us get to our destination on the same day, coldly citing "policy." We only knew about the Ft. Lauderdale/Silver Airlines option because of a previous experience with a competing airlines, JetBlue - which by the way, not only alerted us to this option but gave us a credit to cover the cab fare. A much better way of doing business!

On the lost luggage, AA personnel (some) were very passive and acted as if it wasn't AA's responsibility since they had (without permission, mind you) turned our luggage over to another airlines. Unbelievable. My takeaway from this experience is that AA doesn't care about its customers. I will avoid taking AA again if I can help it.

Security caught in Raleigh NC taught I had a Charlotte NC ticket. Went to booth. Agents on both ends talking and carrying casual conversations while Priority and Main line customers waited. There was only 5 told people in line and it took 20 minutes to be waited on. I was clearly at the wrong airport and couldn't make the dive in time. Agent said it would be $235 at least to make the change... Ok my error. She did her checking... basically the same flights from Raleigh - $600 + additional dollars. Flight was leaving in an hour and there was one coming back an hour later on the same day.

I'm in the retail business... If I jacked up bagged ice, bread, or milk after a hurricane I would be fined for price gouging and I would make the liberal news - so what's the difference? You then cancelled my ticket and probably sold my Charlotte ticket again and at a higher rate. This is the second time I have had an issue with your airline. The last time I arrived 3 hours early and I was at the boarding gate for an earlier flight and you wanted to charge me for a second ticket to come home earlier. There is truly a customer difference between you and SW. I will spend the extra money on the Uber.

We were 2 adults and 1 child traveling cross country. The last leg of our final flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. We were automatically rebooked on a flight 24 hours later. What were we supposed to do in the meantime? We were offered no food, no hotel, NOTHING! We were told by AA reps to save our receipts from out of pocket expenses and submit to American Airlines for reimbursement. AA customer relations has no phone number so everything is done via email.

I politely asked about their procedures for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses (we needed a cab, a hotel, food, and ultimately a rental car to get back to AVL from CLT). I was told after a couple of back and forths via email that "We (AA) do not reimburse for out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of an operational difficulty." This happened Friday night, and now Monday morning I'm told they won't help us at all! YOU STINK, AMERICAN AIRLINES!! I don't have an extra $300 for these expenses! What did you expect us to do for 24 hours while we waited to get out on the next available flight!!!

I had no choice but to fly American Airlines due to the fact that an organization purchased the ticket for me (otherwise I would have picked any other airline except AA based on prior experiences). Unbelievably rude and dismissive in-flight service: I got up to ask the flight attendant for water in the bathroom/mid-section area. She was bent down and shoveling trays inside a cabinet. There were other passengers standing around her - clearly waiting for her to finish. But not only did she not pay attention to any of us but when I gently asked if I can just grab the water and pour it myself, she glared and almost shouted at me - "Can you NOT SEE THAT I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING?!" Wow - I was so taken back by her anger because I did not want to bother her but merely wanted to grab the bottle of water and just pour it myself - since I saw that she had no interest in addressing passengers who had lined up around her.

Then she trusted the bottle into my hands and as I turned away she said, "Hold up! Where do YOU think you are going with that bottle of water!?" Are you kidding me? I told her that I merely wanted to pour water into my cups. Another passenger around us took some empty cups and passed to me as we poured each other water and did not want to get in the way of this flight attendant's anger.

When it came time for sandwich/food service. This SAME flight attendant pulled the cart asking people "sandwich? sandwich?" When she came to my row (which is not far from the front), I used my most friendly voice to ask her could she tell me what kind of sandwich are they (I knew about her temper and didn't want any nasty exchanges between us again). To my surprise, she gave out a loud and exasperated sigh - turned to ask her colleague about the type of sandwich, turned to me and said, "It's turkey, TURKEY!" Then without asking me whether I wanted it or not - She literally THREW the sandwich down on my tray table.

I felt so insulted by this flight attendant. But apparently, she started asking folks "Turkey sandwich? Turkey sandwich?" as she made her way to the back rows. I had never encountered rude and insulting behavior on any other airlines given that I travel and fly very frequently. So -- no more American Airlines for me, my family, or my friends!

Son was in Detroit for work. Night before flight 2 people tried to rob him. He ran away, wallet fell and cell phone. He made it back to hotel at 3am, had to leave to get to airport which was 1.5 hours away. Checked in-service work emailed DL to him, security kept him for 1+ hour. Made him late to board, put on standby since 10am. It is 9:00pm and he went to find a Western Union so I could send him money since he had nothing! Lady put sign up come back at 9:30 which was 2 hours away. They list hours open 7-10pm.

He went to go back through security and they said he could not get cleared until after midnight!!! He is an insulin dependent diabetic, this is unacceptable. No one even offered a meal voucher. I paid $200 for a one way flight for him to still be stuck in their Detroit (unsafe) airport all night. No money. No food. NOTHING. He was told the last flight that was departing at 6:52. Was delayed 4 hours, but it doesn't matter because he couldn't get cleared until after midnight. I am VERY distraught and upset. I am in Florida and he has NO ONE there to help!!!

Last year 2016, I booked a ticket to NY in May, but the flight was Dec. 23rd 2016. For illness issue, I had to cancel the ticket, lost $200 and have $196. Here is the double standard rule AA has: You have one year from the day you book to use your credit. If that's the rule then, my first booking date was May 9th, 2016, then the deadline for my next booking day should be May 9th 2017. Right? Wrong! I have to fly by May 9th 2017 counting from the date I booked, not the date I fly which is Dec 23rd. If I have one year limit then I should book by May 9th, but should be able to fly by Dec 23rd (same date I booked for 2016 that I cancelled).

I emailed AA customer relation to explain and request an extension. The response was not at all understanding! I pleaded some more and finally she called. I tried to explained but did not get a chance because she shut me out and cut me off. I'm very disappointed with the way AA conduct their business. If I can help it, I will not travel with AA.

On March 3 2017 I had to go to a funeral in Atlanta so I booked a flight with American Airlines. I arrived at LaGuardia at 5am. Normally I don't check my bag curbside but no one was at the counter so I did. When I got to the counter the guy at the counter was mad that I came to the counter. Something told me not to leave my bag but I thought it would be ok. When my Flight arrived in Atlanta I went to Baggage claim, waited for 1 hour. No bag. So I went to American Airlines office same nasty attitude, agent checked and told me my bag didn't leave NY. She took my information and said "I will have them put it on the first flight out of NY and when it comes in we will call you to deliver your bag", I said ok.

On March 4 I call and now they cant find it. I have no clothes and I am there for a funeral. So now I have to find a mall and buy clothes instead of spending time with my grieving family. On March 5 I call still no bag. Agent again is nasty not friendly at all. At this point I'm questioning myself "did I do something wrong." March 6 going back home, get to the airport and still no bag. This agent told me "there is nothing we can do. Fill out these forms and send it in." The only person that tried to help was a young lady named Tyra ** but she couldn't locate my bag. I get to LaGuardia, I go to the baggage claim office. They were laughing like it was a joke.

I guess they know something that I don't. It is now March 30. Still no bag. I call the office and they keep saying "we are looking for your bags" and asking if I sent in the claim forms. I tell them yes then the agent proceeds to tell me "we are not going to reimburse you for the money you spent. I your clothing while you were in Atlanta with no clothes and I said why not. She said "That's our policy we will reimburse you for the missing items and your bag." She then said that it will take 7-8 weeks. This is outrageous, I will never fly with American Airlines again.

Horrible customer service! I was charged for oversized luggage when my luggage was not oversized. I emailed customer relations twice about the issue, and they refuse to accept the employee might have been wrong. According to the response email, "agents are adept at accurately calculating these charges, it wouldn't be appropriate for us to second-guess the amount we charged." The woman measuring my bag had no idea how big a square inch is. I'm typically on a plane at least once a month. It's the same luggage I've always used, and it's never been an issue. The woman checking my luggage was rude and uncooperative. Bye bye American Airlines!!

I was supposed to fly from Phoenix to Newark, the day BEFORE a predicted snow storm. My flight was canceled twice in one day and was told I had to wait another 4 days to come home. I was able to fly into another city and had to rent a car to get home. They refused to reimburse me for anything and wouldn't offer me another at all. The first time flew this airline, the flight was delayed due to fog while every other airline was leaving. I will NEVER fly this airline again and you shouldn't even try!

Missing item from luggage. I decided to fly with American Airlines from LAX to Orlando. I boarded in LAX to Phoenix the smaller aircraft. They made the passengers turn all the carry-on bags over so they could be loaded and you will get them in Phoenix while leaving the aircraft so you will have your carry-on for the final flight to Orlando. I get on my final destination to Orlando. Everything was good. Made it home. I went to give my wife a little token of lotto tickets from California. The ticket is missing from the zipper pocket of my carry-on bag. It was only $15.00. The most irritating thing is that someone opened my bag and took it out. It was right on top with all my receipts from trip. Be cautious when turning your luggage over for them on their short flights. Take anything of value out because it may not be there.

The customer service reps of Las Vegas are very rude and not helpful at all. I missed my flight and the supervisor advised me that she'll put me on the next flight within 2 hrs. then to have the snobby agent who was doing my boarding pass said that she will not put me on a flight till the next morning which was 15 hrs. away and her attitude was horrible.

My wife had a scheduled trip to a volleyball tournament. The day before she was to leave one of our granddaughters was taken in for an emergency operation on her skull due to a traumatic brain injury that occurred a year ago. The first leg of the trip was on Southwest Airlines. When I called Southwest and explained the circumstances they cancelled the ticket and refunded the money on the spot. Not so with AA. They want PROOF. A letter from the doctor(s), and the documents from the hospital. Then, after they review the information, I was told they MIGHT refund the money! Kind hearted AA. Watch out who you choose to fly with!

My partner of 22 years died unexpectedly 2/3/17. American want to issue him a credit. I have been fighting for 6 weeks to get them to understand that he will never use the credit. Some people just take up oxygen and most work for American Airlines.

I recently booked a trip to Ireland for my family of 4 SIX MONTHS IN ADVANCE. I did this because I wanted to ensure my family sat together along with the other small family we are traveling with. I mean that what you do right?? Plan early pick your seats? So I got an email a few days ago that states "we moved your seats". No my family which includes a small child is sprinkled across the plane. So I called to get it fixed and they simply said "we have the rights to move you whenever you want". The only seats now available are what are called preferred seats and cost extra.

So I told them I wanted to have my family together. Customer service rep said the only thing I could do was buy seats so we could be together. I responded "I bought seats together originally." The rep said "No you never purchased seats." So what is the $2000 a ticket that got charged to my credit card?? Response... "Those are just tickets." This is absurd! Obviously I will never use AA again. So now I have to spend an addition $822 for my family to sit together or have my 4 year old sitting with a stranger. BRILLIANT!

So on March 10th we get an email saying that "If you are flying into Philadelphia on the 15th you can change your ticket due to the weather free of charge." So my company decides to play it safe and postpone the meeting until the 30th (the next available time the reps could all get together and be available for the presentation). I call in to get it changed and I'm told that the only day I could change my flight to would be the 17th.

Now I don't know if you have ever tried to schedule a meeting between a group of busy people but most will tell you that it's like herding cats, and the 30th is the next best time we could all get together for the presentation due to other commitments. I just wanted to change my flight to the 29th. (Mind you I was willing to pay the difference in pricing for the ticket.) BUT NOOOO, if you wanted to use your ticket for a day that you actually needed it for, you would have to pay a change fee (more than the price of the ticket in the first place, mind you).

Who are they to decide my schedule? WTF kind of policy is it to say when I would be able to travel? How can a company say "Hey we recommend you change your travel plans due to forces outside your control. We'll even let you change it for free," and then turn around and charge you for following their advice. That is a crime.

My flight to Las Vegas was canceled the day prior, and I never received any notification of the cancellation. When I called Customer Service to inquire, they informed me that the flight had been canceled and if I wanted a refund, I had to apply for one... for a flight that never existed. So I applied for a refund and just found out they only agreed to refund the ticket itself, and not the $100 I had paid to upgrade my seat on each leg. This does not sound legal - the attempt to steal money from me for a flight that never existed. All money spent relating to a canceled flight should be automatically refunded immediately. How is this not their procedure?

I've now flown two flights so far with American Airlines. On the first flight, they demolished a suitcase completely, and two suitcase belts were no longer there. On the second flight, they demolished both of my suitcases completely and another suitcase belts is gone like my name badge with my address. After the flight to Germany I reported the two damaged suitcases. But American Airlines does not reply at all and I can buy two new suitcases on my own expense now. These are already 3 suitcases I did have to buy new. In addition, they put me on another flight on the last flight and I did not get reimburse the costs for Economy Plus even though I had a much smaller seat in the normal economy, which was also 22 rows further back. The costs which have resulted from both flights cannot make up for the cheap tickets. I also find it unbelievable that American Airlines does not react and I reply at all. This is very ungrateful.

On my last AA flight I signed up for a AA credit card. I was told I would get two round trip tickets free in the U.S. Not true. You get 40000 miles, which is one round trip ticket, near as I can tell. Also, they charge you $95 for the privilege. This is fraudulent and deceitful marketing.

I just finished my return flight through American Airlines and I can safely say I will never travel with them again. Poor customer service. Why get mad at me? I'm not the one who broke the plane and yes I have lots of questions concerning my connecting flight. Two broken planes at first airport. Very bad hotel at third (they gave me a voucher because I missed the last flight out). Coming back the first two flights were good and I started to hope... Third flight was delayed two hours because the pilots didn't show. Huh? We couldn't get any info. Finally on plane then sat for two hours waiting to be de-iced. It was a half hour flight! On tarmac and for flight I froze. No heat. Just cold air blowing on legs whole time. Take my advice. Fly another airline. Cheaper fare not worth it. This my third flight with American Airlines and it will be my last.

Worse customer service. Had the chance to talk with Clarissa lobby agent at LAX. She was the most rude person I have talk in LA. Not helpful at all. Why American Airlines employees are so miserable???

Compare Airlines