American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

3.6/5 (2058 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

Thank you American airlines for your great customer service. Even though my connection flight was delayed I appreciate the fact that my child and I were safe. I appreciate the vouchers and the customer service. It was a lifesaver. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Arrived extra early for my flight from O'Hare to Logan. Couldn't self check so I went to an agent. Her name was Jeanne, I think. (Forgive me, I should remember.) She informed us our flight was cancelled due to crew shortage. She was kind and understanding and most likely didn't want to give us such bad news, We followed cue with her gracious demeanor. We were slightly delayed, but understand it's this day and age. Thank you, American Airlines for such pleasant staff on ground and above. I will fly with you forever!!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Beyond expectations. We took a different flight to our location but picked AA due to direct flight option. Our pilots talked to us, greeted us, kept us aware through the flight. We went into a storm and they navigated brilliantly around the turbulence, then had to hold us in the air due to the storm. They kept it level and very little turbulence! I am not kidding, we will be getting a card and using them from now on. So impressed!! And our other airline was good, but AA was wildly beyond! Thankful for skilled pilots who know how to calm the heart of a very, very nervous flier!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I had a direct flight from DFW to ORD. Unfortunately my direct flight was cancelled and I was given an alternative flight that was 5+ hours later and time duration was 6 hours with a layover. They did not even provide a good customer service or support. I would never recommend anyone to fly in American Airlines. Their price is way higher than low cost airlines like Spirit etc and their customer service was worse than any existing airlines that I have used.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We had to reschedule our destination wedding. We had booked an all inclusive through the resort website or so we thought, our kids had covid. We did buy the insurance but that was a run around as well. The reservation line called and said that if we wanted to reschedule the airlines would be an additional $ 1030. I looked at the AA site myself and it was the same price as our current reservation. I was told to call the airline then. Upset in tears being told call this person call that person I was distraught. Then an angel picked up the phone. His name is James. He said "Take a breath, it is ok. I got you!" He had the most calming voice I have ever heard in my entire life. He said that normally the reservation place would do this but this man had a heart and helped me through the worst day ever.

If you are LUCKY enough for this sweet man to answer your call then you will know what I mean. He is like no other. I have never felt as much from a phone call as I felt from him. Thank you James from the bottom of my heart for calming me down and helping me. You are a blessing to anyone that calls you. I hope this review somehow gets to you. Thank you!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

My flight was changed which would not allow a connecting flight, so it was canceled. I called customer service and was lied to that my tickets nor insurance was refundable and no refund or ticket would be offered. I explained that I had proof I paid for fully refundable and travel insurance....your Agent said that I was wrong. I have tried calling twice and using the website and app ....but I get nowhere.

Federal Transportation told me this was no cancelation due to my request, so a full refund to include all fees would be required. However I was told on my second call to AA that the insurance is a separate company and they can't help. This has been a disaster and offensive transaction where I was made out to be the bad guy for wanting my money back. You all have been cruel and impossible to work with.

Why treat people like this? Why gaslight a patron? Why is your refund process an unnecessary burden of hoops to jump through? I am owed OVER $2,800 and have NOTHING to show for it aside from stress and tears. What is wrong with American Airlines to treat me like this? Why lie to me? Would it not be easier to fix this and keep a customer?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

We purchased a round trip ticket for 2 persons (**) with departure on the 21st of November and due to a family emergency we had to cancel. We did not ask for a refund but for an open voucher for 6 months that we could use with our family of four to book another vacation in 2023. We have also would accept any fee imposed on us if needed due to our emergency cancelation.

We tried to talk to multiple levels of management regarding this issue but hit the same wall every time. Instead of raising the potential revenue due to increasing the value of travel booking from 2 persons to four each of the customer service representatives/managers decided, due to lack of business sense, to deny our request even we would accept a fee and not have a refund but a voucher to use in the near future with American Airlines. What is next for us? Write about it, avoid American Airlines and warn potential customers about it. Potential customers be aware and please know that there are many other options without using American Airlines. Sincerely, Nicholas **.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

My flight from Springfield to Amman I spent 2200 dollars for ticket because I don’t want travel with long distance so I choose short distance for extra paying money and I’ll be here on time. They treat me very bad asking Covid-19 document but before we travel we don’t need that. But they stop me in spring Field airport. I missed my flights and I fight with American Airlines department. They realize that we don’t need any Covid document. Then again they book another flight with long distance from next time. Don’t chose American Airlines because service really bad.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Fly anything but American Airlines. Was on my honeymoon this weekend and our original no layover flights were changed by American Airlines to connecting flights with a layover. They were kind enough to give us 1 hour to get through customs and make it to the connecting flight. After running across the airport we still couldn’t make the connecting flight. When I say I would never ever fly with them again I mean it. I wouldn’t let my family fly with American Airlines either. They turned what was supposed to be relaxing into a fruitless mad dash across an airport. They nickel and dime you for entertainment while forcing the staff to push memberships on the passengers. The seat size on their 777s (the flight we arrived to Jamaica in) had horrible seat sizes. The return flights which were bungled were better than the 777 flight but not by much.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

On November 5, 2022 I had a flight going to Puerto Vallarta out of Manhattan, KS (MHK) at 6:04 am which is 10 minutes from my home for my son's wedding but this flight was canceled at the last minute. I called several times to make sure the American Airlines app was an error in which it wasn’t. I had to rearrange my flight and book out of Kansas City (MCI) which is 2 ½ hours away. This incident not only caused me distress, anxiety, and a major risk in the middle of the night trying to catch a flight but also additional funds lost and spent. I arrived a day late and lost $398.40, paid for additional gas $65 to get to the airport, paid for food $60 for the overnight stay and the next day travel, paid for parking $32.50, and numerous emotional breakdowns on the way caused me PTSD and swollen legs from the numerous flights and wait time.

This is unacceptable and I demand compensation for the major issue American Airlines has caused. I also paid an additional ticket price for the departure and return to MHK instead of MCI for convenience. The stress of getting to my destination ruined my whole vacation. I also had to drive back home on November 9th 2022 in the middle of the night on a dark highway 2 ½ hours away from home. I didn't get home till 2 am on November 10th 2022 when I could have gotten home in a matter of 10 mins if this issue didn’t occur. This situation has stressed me out, depressed me, and tainted my view of traveling and ever booking with American Airlines and I demand compensation and a response to this issue as soon as possible and not just a $50 credit.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information