3.12/5
Based on 1,276 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

3149 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

Sat on tarmac at Orlando Airport (MCO) for 3 hours for flight to DFW Airport due to bad weather in Dallas. Arrived at DFW to find out that connecting flight to San Diego had already left or was cancelled. Upon entry to DFW Airport, all ticket counters had huge lines of people due to people rescheduling flights due to the bad weather. All counters had no more than 2 AA employees working. One line had 2 customers, so I went to it to get help. Employee at desk said that the line was closed. Went to another line, waited for a few minutes and noticed that the line that was supposedly closed, now had many people in it. I moved over to it. I waited more than an hour, and I was second to the last in line.

When it was time for person ahead of me to be helped, person at desk said "I'm done for the day, I'm leaving." So the last 3 people in the line, which included myself had to find another line to go to, which were huge. When we finally got help, we were told that the only flight to San Diego would be 2 days later in the afternoon.

We arrived Saturday night and we would not be able to get a flight to San Diego until Monday afternoon at 2:25 PM. We would have to fly to Los Angeles and stay in LA for one night and take a morning flight to San Diego (Tuesday morning). They said that the best way to get on an earlier flight would be to be put on the 'standby list' and go to each gate for flights to San Diego. We were in Terminal C and had to take a tram to Terminal A. We headed to gate A39, which was the last gate in the terminal. When we asked them to put us on the 'standby list' they said that there was a San Diego flight that was getting ready to board passengers at gate A11 and that if we would hurry it would be possible to get on the flight. We went as fast as we could (2 people 65+ years old and wife's daughter) to gate A11.

When we got there, they said that our names were not on the 'standby list'. They told us to go to gate C25 for another San Diego flight. This was in Terminal C, which we had just come from. So another tram from Terminal A to Terminal C. We arrived at gate C25 only to find out that we were numbers 30, 31, and 32 on the 'standby list'. We were not added to the flight. We were then told to go to gate C11 for another San Diego flight. We waited 5 hours, only to have the flight cancelled. In the middle of the 5 hour wait, my wife's daughter decided to go wait in the huge Customer Service line.

After 3 hours we were able to get tickets for the next morning to San Diego. The Customer Service employee told us that we should have been offered a voucher for a hotel and food when we first arrived in Dallas. We were not offered anything. We had to try to sleep in the terminal. American Airlines needs to improve their Customer Service. I never saw so much chaos.

Original review: April 19, 2019

As I am writing this I am sitting in LAX. American Airlines has been the low point of my family's trip. My flight to LAX was delayed, and we had to race to get to our connecting flight back to Boston. Even though they had radioed to let the gate know we were on the way they would not let us board or hold the gate for even a minute even though it was their fault we were late. When we went to customer service we were informed they could get us on another airline, but only if we were AAdvantage status customers. Because we were just regular customers we would not be able to fly out until the morning.

The 2 girls at the customer service area at LAX had the personality of soulless automatons. The experience flying with American has been hot garbage from the lack of just commonly decent politeness to the barrage of ads and flyers handed out by the flight crew to sign up for their credit card. Needless to say my next flight will not be with this airline, as they are so fond of reminding me during this trip - I do have a choice in airlines.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

American Airlines is my absolute last resort airlines. Their departure and arrival times are consistently late. They cancelled one leg of my most recent flight and couldn't re-book me until late the next afternoon. I had to argue to get them to pick up the tab for my hotel because I found another airline to take me early the next morning. I simply do not use them unless there is NOTHING else available.

Original review: April 18, 2019

After the President of the United States grounds the Boeing 737 MAX, American Airlines still had them in the air and that is how I had to get home from JFK. Unbelievable that an Airlines would keep those planes in the air after being told to ground them and after a horrific plane crash. This was on April 1, 2019.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We will never fly American Airlines ever again. All 4 flights we took for our vacation were scary and turbulent. I would have loved to write a review on American Airlines' website to tell them about my experience. However American Airlines only gives you 7 days from your flight date to write a review. I couldn't have within this time frame since I was still on vacation internationally.

This flight I'm referring to was on 4/8 from Austin to Miami. From the very beginning it was the most rocky turbulent flight I have ever been on. I fly a lot and that's saying something. Usually I don't travel American Airlines because their prices are always higher. My husband threw up on plane since it was so turbulent. All the people around us was commenting on the turbulence. I might have not written this review but the flight got worse.

As we are on final approach we heard the air brakes firing. This is odd because that usually on happens when the wheels are on the runway. The plane then drops and then shoots up again in the sky. Everyone was screaming. The pilot came on the intercom and said. "Sorry about that folks, we were a little too close to the plane in front of us. We will have to circle around and try to land again. It will be about 5 minutes". I'm visibly shaken and so is my husband and I can't believe that just happened, that we almost crashed and felt so close to death.

We finally land which was shaky at best and we took forever to taxi to get off the plane. We had another flight to catch and we had hoped to still make it. No one on the intercom told us anything about our connecting flight. American Airlines and pilot knew this incident happened; which was the cause in making us late in landing by a lot more than 5 minutes.

We are worried about catching our flight. Miami is such a big airport. Where each gate is far away from each other. At least half a block per gate, sometimes more. We had to run from gate 19 to gate 49. We had 8 minutes to spare and the plane was already pulling away. They did not call our names over the intercom or call out for final boarding. They just left even though it wasn't our fault. We ran to the next gate to tell them but they just told us there isn't anything they can do and to go to the rebooking center.

Then we had to walk back to gate 37 to the rebooking center. We talked to the agent. Told them what happened. She has no sympathy, no compassion and a huge attitude. No authentic apology either from her or on behalf of American Airlines. Her attitude told us that she was blaming us and she even told us that the flight crew we just left should have told us that we wouldn't have made it to the connecting flight and to go to the rebooking center. Which never happened. We didn't know and no one told us.

We rebooked for a few hours later, thank goodness. But, better customer service and compassion and a heartfelt apology would have gone a long way in this situation. We got neither. Next flight to Dominican Republic was turbulent and rocky landing. Our flight back to Miami after our vacation was turbulent and had a rocky landing as well. Sliding side to side as we hit the runway. Our flight back to Austin was 1 hour late boarding because they had to switch pilots and they mentioned they were short staffed. Then we are all settled into the plane and we are taxing for another hour with no word on what's happening and why we haven't taken off. Again no communication. No apology.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: April 18, 2019

My flight with American Airlines was canceled due to weather. I was rebooked for a flight that did not leave for 2 days after my intended departure which is really unacceptable. The snowstorm was only for a few hours, and I see no reason why they couldn't offer a better solution. I called customer service and was on hold for over an hour with no answer. I drove to the airport and stood in a long line for an hour and a half. When I reached the counter the AA customer service representative offered no alternatives or solutions. So I waited an additional two days only to have the alternative flight canceled with no explanation shortly before the flight was scheduled to depart.

They offered another flight for the next day. At this point I am looking at a 3 day delay in reaching my destination with no customer service support or offer for better solutions. Only after calling and waiting on hold, and then complaining profusely, the representative offered a flight that was leaving 12 hours earlier than the flight I was rebooked for. Weather problems can't be avoided, bad customer service can be avoided. American Airlines will not be my first choice for travel in the future.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have purchased tickets and the flights were wrong in one of the legs. After waiting for almost 2 hours to speak with someone and make the change. The change was going to cost $3200 to fix their mistake, despite calling immediately after their mistake was discovered. I cancelled the transaction and request a refund within hours of the purchase. 72 hours later a chargeback has not occurred and games are being played with the money. There are no other numbers to call except the main number for customer service and it takes 1 to 3 hours to speak with an agent that is powerless to do anything to expedite your refund.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We had a flight from SLC to BDL, with a stop in Chicago. My daughter was on the same flight. The SLC to Chicago went fine. When we got in Chicago it was very lightly snowing and we boarded our plane. We then sat on the runway for 2 hours before the flight was cancelled – citing “weather conditions.” We were told to go to customer service to rebook the flights. We went to the customer service center and waited in line for over FOUR HOURS. They had ONE attendant working and over 200-300 people in line (I have photos and a video). We were not offered food vouchers and it was CHAOS. Someone decided that people with wheelchairs could cut the line so a crowd of 5 wheelchairs pushed into the line and they said that AA allowed this. A man in line had a heart condition and was upset that he didn’t get to go to the front of the line. After two hours, another two people decided to come help out the hundreds waiting.

The AA website for rebookings was down as a note (screenshots available) and I tried to call AA and they had a NINE (yes NINE) hour callback time. I have call logs to confirm that I called them at 1 PM and they called me back at 10:30 PM. How in the world is this acceptable? NO TRAVELER should ever have to endure their flight being cancelled for a ½ inch of snow but then this is your service model? A 9 hour hold time? 5+ hours in line for some people?

When I got to the counter, after an HOUR more they rebooked me to an 8 PM flight. Keep in mind that I have been at the airport now since 12 noon. No offer was even made to give us dinner. We get to the gate and the flight is delayed to 9 PM, then 10 PM then at 10:30 PM someone says that the crew for the plane is actually in NY and oh, by the way, the crew in NY has actually not even left NY yet. I know, you must have as many questions as we all did! Like how did they not know that the crew was not there until 10:30 PM?? Strange, right?

A woman went up to complain about this and the rude employee told her that if she didn’t like it she was “free to leave.” Great service guys. During this process, I went up to the desk TWO TIMES to make sure that my luggage was going to be on this plane. TWICE. Keep that in mind for later. The plane finally leaves at 11:30 PM and arrives at 1:30 AM. We go to baggage claim, and you guessed it, no luggage. It took 2 days to get my luggage back!! I can understand flights cancelled due to bad weather - I cannot however understand such AWFUL service from AA in rebooking their customers. Truly inexcusable.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Just had a flight canceled less than 15 hours prior to take off. The attempted reschedule flight took off a day later and landed in our destination less than 11 hours before our scheduled departure. We were working through AMEX travel, and the AA customer service rep hung up on the AMEX rep that was trying to find us different ticket options. Don't take a chance, spend the extra cash and fly on a reliable carrier.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I booked a flight through American Airlines. They pushed the flight an hour and a half earlier. This caused a lot of problems for my travels. I called American's customer service and was being handled by a representative named Hasan. Hasan was rude the entire time. He made several comments such as "What do you want me to do about it", "It's not my problem", and "Good for you". He spent the entire time giving attitude which is aggravating after already having to deal with American moving the flight.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information