American Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We were getting ready to leave for our flight from Sioux Falls, SD to Cancun via Dallas Dec 26, 2016. We got a call at noon our 3:30 flight had been cancelled due to weather. Not one other flight from any other airline had cancelled any flights out of Sioux Falls. No other flights out they could re-book us on. So, we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to Omaha, NE and pay for a hotel room to get on a flight at 7 the next morning. We got on the plane in Omaha and waited for a half hour to be told the flight would be cancelled due to mechanical issues. We could not get on anything until noon to Dallas causing us to miss our connection to Cancun. The ONLY thing they could do to get us to Cancun was fly us to Dallas, to Los Angeles and then to Cancun. We had three kids with us. It was horrible. So, we sat at the airport in Omaha to get on a noon flight. We then sat in Dallas until 7 pm.

When we got to the gate we were told we had to check our bags to our final destination. After all of the mess we had been through, we asked if they could put it in the holder to see if it was okay to put in the upper bins. They tried my 12 year old daughter's first. Her wheel got stuck as they tried to put it in and immediately pulled it out and said it didn't fit. Told us we had to check them all. I asked if they could try again since the wheel was stuck and they ignored me. My 14 year old son took it and started to put it back in the holder to measure it when a male gate agent came and ripped it out of his hands. I begged they let us try it.

At that point we had been traveling for 12 hours with another 12 hours ahead of us. I couldn't handle our baggage not making it since we had another connection in LA. I tried to let them know what we had been through when he started shouting the FAA is watching and waving his arms in the air. I kind of looked around and asked can we just gate check it then since that's what the previous flight did. She kept on shouting that they were watching. Finally I gave in and got on the flight with the baggage checked. As I was finding my seat, which was conveniently located in the last row of the plane I hear the flight attendants talking about people who don't want to check their bags. And how they don't need their money, people like that can fly with someone else. Note to self... So, when I turned around after having been through the guy screaming at us and taking stuff away from my kids and told him I heard it and didn't appreciate it, he said he never said that. Really?

We got to LA at 9 pm and waited to board our last flight at 11:30 pm. We got to Cancun at 6 am the following morning. Not once did anyone apologize to us for any of the inconveniences. We got no reimbursement for any food during our stay in the airports. No reimbursement for the hotel room. No apology. Nobody who cared. Nobody. We decided to put it all behind us and enjoy our time in Cancun. We had to pay an extra two nights since we lost two of our vacation days. They didn't help us with that, though I wouldn't have expected it.

So we got up at 4 the morning we had to leave to get to the airport for our 7 am flight. We got there, cancelled. Couldn't get us on a flight until noon. So, again we sat in the airport until noon, not once being reimbursed for food, no apology. Instead, we were treated by the staff in the airport like we were an inconvenience to them that they had to find a flight to put us all on. Funny enough though, we got to gate check our bags all of the way home. Guess the FAA only "watches" in Dallas. I will NEVER, EVER fly American again.

Purchased round trip ticket from McCarran international to Dallas FW. Declared firearm, followed all procedures, unloaded, locked hard sided case. Was told by agent that she didn't know what she was inspecting, as she had me open my luggage, then gun case. Gave me my declared form to sign, and all was ok. Placed a BOS ticket on my bag, which required Dallas FW to hand deliver my bag to the Staff window, and me to present my luggage tag to pick up. Didn't happen. My bag was on the turnstile, where myself or anyone else could have taken it.

Flying back did same steps, but agent told me my magazine had to be unloaded, not the firearm. So I had to unload the clip at the check in counter, with lots of people around me, luggage opened, and firearm case completely open and visible. She then told me she'd have to keep the ammunition. She advised that the Airline's policy overrode the TSA rules, which I followed to the T. So I arrived back to McCarran with a firearm, and no ammo, basically a paper weight. I'm happy to abide by the rules, as a responsible gun owner, and CCW permit holder, but it's difficult when they change by the agent checking you in.

We recently traveled to KOA for an 18 day holiday break. I booked using my Citi AAdvantage card as there was a savings in the form of a statement credit. The flight was nearly sold out so space was a premium. Upon boarding the plane, we quickly realized we are in a very old Boeing 767-300 that doesn't appear to have received any kind of upgrade in the last decade (or longer). Tube televisions hung from the ceiling, there were no overhead air vents, no wi-fi or other modern amenities such as power at every seat. My headrest was broken and the seats were extremely tight, making the 8.5 hour flight beyond uncomfortable - not to mention a metal box affixed to the base of the seat in front of me resulting in only enough leg room for one leg to be extended at a given time.

Aside from the plane itself, the flight attendants were pleasant and a complimentary wrap with chips and cookies were provided. Unless they upgrade this plane, I would likely choose to have a brief layover at LAX or SFO rather than the quick and efficient non-stop option via DFW (for the sake of being able to stretch and charge portable devices). The return flight was fortunately on a different aircraft, still a 767 but a bit more modern. Still no in-flight wi-fi or in-seat entertainment though. Because they were behind by 45 minutes, the flight attendants offered a one-time complimentary cocktail at dinner service.

We travel very frequently and have never experienced a trip this poor. First we were an hour late which they blamed on a travel attendant not showing up which is a joke. That would never happen that a flight attendant could hold up a full flight for over an hour. Then our trip home late again and after the freezing miserable flight we had to sit on the tarmac for almost an hour because there was no gate to pull into. Many missed their connecting flights. One lady said she has had to travel AA for work and this is always the case. They are always late and could care less about their guests. Would never recommend this company to anyone. Hard to figure how they became the largest airlines in the industry.

My wife and I left Phoenix Sunday morning January 1st for Cancun for our 25th wedding anniversary. Flight ended up being an hour late leaving Phoenix. Airlines came over the speaker announcing that the delay was due to one of the flight attendants not showing up for work (does it really take an hour to find a replacement)? Hopefully that attendant no longer has a job with your company. On the way home we were late taking off again but only 15 minutes this time. Unfortunately when we landed in Phoenix we sat on the tarmac for another 45 minutes because the plane had no gate to pull up to. A number of folks on the plane missed their adjoining flight because of the delay. Have never flown on American Airlines before and probably never will again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Cancelled Flight AA722 Philadelphia Dublin - Could anyone travelling on this flight please email me at **. I have set up this email address to collate passenger information to establish collateral on the information we were given that there was a technical fault with the airline. As you are all aware, American Airlines denied us our rights at 1am by refusing to accommodate hundreds of passengers when their customer services insisted it was weather related despite the announcement otherwise and I am interested in pursuing this matter under EU law. All the best.

We are currently sitting in the departure lounge of LAX airport awaiting our flight to London Heathrow. The check in process was a complete joke with NO ALLOCATION OF SEATS UNTIL YOU ARRIVE AT THE DEPARTURE GATE. We arrived three hours prior to the departure time to be allocated our seat at 4.40 pm. We have been allocated the very rear seat which has been described on many aircraft reviews as the worst seat. I advised that I would prefer another seat but was advised all seats had been allocated.

One of my party traveling has a pacemaker and is a tall person. I advised that we were trying to pre-book our seats two nights prior to flying (we were willing to pay extra) but for some reason American Airways website would not allow us to do this. I find this airline carrier totally incompetent. The staff attitude is a disgrace from the point of check-in. The lady there was rude and you could easily see that she did not enjoy her job and was there for the money only and not to interact with other human beings. The lady at the departure gate had the same attitude.

When going through security we advised that one of our party had a pacemaker but they were not interested and continued to put the person through the metal detector WHICH CAN HAVE THE POTENTIAL OF HEALTH DEFECTS TO THE PERSON). Obviously the metal detector went off and the person was asked to remove his belt we advised AGAIN that he had a pacemaker and showed the ID card again before the guard realized what had happened. Will I fly with this airline again? TOTALLY NO WAY.

I have been a loyal business customer for 20 years starting with US Air and thru the merger with American Airlines. I received a email that my 6.00 am flight was canceled. I called the airlines because their site showed a 1:30 with seats available both flights were 2 legs leaving from AVP connecting thru CLT to DAB on Sunday oi08 2017. I was upgraded to 1st class on the original flight. I was told that the 1:30 flight on same day only had 1st class available and I needed to cancel the re-book they made for Monday 01/09/2017 which has a 4 hour lay over went from a 4.5 hour original flight to 9 hour flight the following day. I was told that if I was mot happy with that go to the website, cancel the re-booked flight, get a refund and pay the difference of over $800.00.

To sum it up I should have been put on the 1:30 flight on Sunday 01/08/2017 which was the same day as the original 6.00 am flight and someone without status should have been bumped to Monday. To sum it all up status and loyalty mean nothing to American Airlines loyal customers or business travelers. And their customer complaint site is out of service. How nice that is. They take your $$$ and could care less about the passengers. I assure this will be the last time I book with this airline people take early flights for a reason and should be booked on the next flight a chain of command. After hours of wrangling with these people on the phone I was assured I would get a refund as I was able to book a flight for Sunday 011/08/2017 on a competitor from the same airport.

Congress needs to put stricter regulations especially since American Airlines is now the largest carrier in the USA they could care less about their customers or how they treat them. My company which I am the CEO of spends $1,000.00's of dollars per year with airline which will now be halted even if I have to spend more with another carrier customer loyalty should the 1st priority. Thank you for reading this and I'm sure that I'm not the only who has the same feelings towards American Airlines.

Where do I start! What was supposed to be my dream vacation that was planned since July 2016 sadly crumbled in front of my eyes. We arrived at Jacksonville International Airport at 5 am and my husband dropped me off at the curbside check-in for American Airlines, he then proceeded to park our car in valet that was less than 20 feet from where I was left standing with three of our bags. When my husband put me and the bags out I was approached by an older gentleman and he said did I want to check my bags and I said "Yes I do. Our flight leaves at 6." He said "This is a tip service only." I said "That is OK. My husband is parking the car. We just need to check in!" The man proceeded to tell me that two more times as if I was not going to tip him or something. I am not sure why he felt like he had to stress to me about tipping when all I was worried about was getting our bags checked in.

So this man went to the next lady and started checking her in. Maybe ten minutes past and my husband walks up and ask "Are we ready" and I said "No. This guy said this is a tip service only" and the guy was like "No I did not." I said "Yes he did several times." My husband is a very calm person. He said "It's OK. Let's just get checked in." At this point a young lady said "I can check you in." She said "I don't think you're going to make your plane. It is 5:20 am at this time but I will try."

She proceeds to check our bags in and two bags check and the third bag ticket jammed so we had to go inside and wait another ten minutes. We finally get to screening and TSA stops us for my husband's backpack. Yes I understand they are doing their job and I appreciate them very much for keeping us safe, but honestly the TSA officer took ten minutes stacking the plastic tubs for people to put their items in while we stood there waiting for her to check his bag while five other workers sat around and watched me stand there with tears in my eyes as American Airlines flight 346 called mine and my husband name for final boarding!

This complaint is continued from a previous complaint I filed today. After we missed our flight from Jacksonville we had to sit in the airport for four hours and miss an entire day of activities in Las Vegas due to the delay with our check in. We finally get to Las Vegas at 10:00 pm that evening instead of 11:15 am as planned to find out that our luggage was sent to Vermont. Only one of our bags made it to Las Vegas. This luggage only had our shoes in it. I honestly feel like our bags were sabotaged because your Baggage attendant was so obsessed with making sure he was going to get a tip. He did not care about customer service at all which is very sad. The sad thing is I always tip very well!

Now we are in Las Vegas for our vacation with no clothes and American Airlines tells us our bags will be here tomorrow. Well guess what. No bags for three days. Our vacation was ruined. Everyone kept telling us a different story. It was honestly a nightmare. We had to rent a car, buy clothes, spend money that we could've been enjoying on our vacation for essential as American Airlines puts it! We did not receive our bags until 11:30 pm December 30th. What a way to spend your vacation that you planned a year in advanced and saved for not to mention again this all started because one greedy employee basically was bribing me for him to do his job that he gets paid to do daily with American Airlines. Sincerely, An Honest Working traveler.

I am in Mexico and tries to schedule a flight. AA sends you to a Mexican site that just does not work. The date selected always comes up NANANANA. Why can't they just let you go to the US site? Worst site management site in existence!

I fly AA frequently for all my domestic flights. I find the overall experience quite good, from booking flights and interface with agents to the ground and in-flight crew. I realize salaries for these people are nowhere near what they should be so I appreciate the fact they deal with the public on a daily basis and can get their job done with a smile. The general public has little understanding for what these people do and have unrealistic expectations. They've been adding new planes recently which make the experience more enjoyable. The in-flight entertainment system is quite good with lots options. The awards program is great. I especially like the hotels they partner with. I've taken 5-star vacations including flights, hotels, and cars all on points.

I purchased a round-trip, first class fare from Greensboro, NC to New Orleans, LA. The flight attendants were the worst people I have ever encountered. Beginning in Greensboro, NC all the way to New Orleans. The flight attendant on the connecting flight from Dallas to New Orleans was not only rude, but attempted upon landing stating my service animal was threatening to her. She stated this because I challenged her knowledge of the rules and regulation regarding a service animal's position on the flight. The attendant stated I could not hold her, that she had to be placed under the seat in front of me at all times. Once I challenged that claim she stated she felt threatened. There was a passenger sitting next to me on that flight and to my knowledge had no problem with my animal whatsoever. The flight attendant fabricated the entire scene.

Also, the seats were so close together I could have saved and purchased economy tickets or coach. Once getting to New Orleans my legs were so cramped I could barely get up from my seat. Of course I was not rendered any assistance from the flight attendant. For the aforementioned reasons I will never fly American Airlines again.

Arrived to the airport to find out flight was cancelled for no reason. Once they gave me my seat again and boarded the plane they took us out and delayed the flight. After about 3 hours of delays and fake promises they told us the flight was cancelled. I spent New Year's eve alone in a hotel room because of American Airlines. Would not recommend this airline to anybody.

Seats are so close you can hardly move and having to pay for better seat is ridiculous as is having to pay so much for luggage. 5.00 to 10.00 per bag is plenty. Because of the high rates everyone takes bags on which makes it take longer to get on and off plane.

American Airlines (at the time) was the least expensive flight from San Antonio, TX to Hawaii. Once we got to California for our connecting flight, prior to stepping onto the plane we were all told to go and buy some food because they were not going to feed us on our seven hour flight.

If at all possible, avoid air travel from using American Airlines in San Angelo, Texas. They frequently cancel planes and are extremely rude assisting passengers with options. I visited San Angelo 2 times, granddaughter attended college there, both visits the American Airline plane was cancelled. This most recent visit I was to depart at 3:00 PM, this plane was cancelled but there were 2 planes departing after my time of departure. The most logical customer service representative would have placed me on the next available plane, but no Cody, American Airlines supervisor, told all passengers they had to take the next day's plane.

I am 72 years and on medicine that I had packed enough for 2 days. I explained this and the urgency to get to Dallas to make a connecting plane to get to Phoenix to get more medicine. He said "You have no options but to wait." I said I have no hotel or transportation. He said "too bad you have no choice." I spoke to an online American Airline representative who recommended that I rent a car and drive to San Antonio within a 2 hours time of 180 miles with up and down winding roads; leaving at that time at 6:00 PM with the plane boarding at 8:40 PM. If possible avoid travelling on American Airlines because you get no customer service.

I booked a round trip flight but due to an urgent job matter, I missed the outgoing flight. I bought a one way ticket and hoped to use the return flight. I found it later that the whole reservation that I already paid for was canceled due to my missing the outbound flight. I can understand company or industry practices allow this but instead of being helpful and understanding the agent who I escalated my issue with was arrogant, condescending, unhelpful and made you feel stupid.

Baggage policy: Military wife, daughter with two children in diapers traveling (Kodiak AK to NE Florida - 23+ hours) alone has a large stroller Alaska Airlines took as carry on without incident. The poor woman had to transit Atlanta's huge airport lugging the two in her arms because American refused to take the stroller because it 'weighed too much' (more than 25 lbs as I recall). They are now my naughty list this Xmas.

Love their smaller jets and the people are nice! Father was passing away and they did everything they could to get me to Tuscon, Arizona before he passed! And they did. Thank you American Airlines! I will always use you first!

I am currently sitting stranded in the Miami airport with a St Croix vacation ruined and thousands of dollars wasted. I used my American Airlines card to book, as well as using miles I gained from using their card loyalty. First American completely messed up the reservation, charging me and sending a flight confirmation it turns out they accidently didn't put through. After I had to resolve that, with no help from lousy customer service, my flight was delayed causing me to miss connections. So far I've been given 4 different stories from American about the delay cause.

Bottom line, I had to get my own hotel and stand by for a flight American guaranteed me a seat on, and yet here I sit in Miami. The vacation event is ruined, thousands of dollars wasted, and I am stranded. American customer service says they can do nothing but maybe I should book another flight??? This is the WORST EXPERIENCE ever and I can't believe these clowns have any customers. Avoid American at all costs, because it's likely you will just be wasting time and money.

The food is not edible. In business class where I wound up paying not just $200 Fee to change my flight from 12/30 to 12/28, but an additional $600. Total fee to

Change the date of my flight $200 + $600 = $800. Highway robbery. I was able to see the seating plan on the flight I needed to change to. In business class all 20 of the 20 seats were still available. 8 seats still available in first class. I wound up spending nearly $2700 dollars for this round trip fare lax/JFK/Lax and I had to spit out the meat in the beef curry because it was so tough. You could not chew it. I tried each piece and spit it out. They offered two other dishes that I can only describe as foul.

At the front of business class, one of the attendants came out and placed a basket of fruit on counter, and a basket of various chips on the other counter. Later I realized what they were for. I was not the only passenger that felt the food was not edible. I realized, if we were to eat anything at all, it would have to come from those two baskets. Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing on the menu was for human consumption. Salmon Cheesecake? You must be kidding. I spit it out of my mouth. You take nearly $2700 dollars from me and you are unable to serve a tasty meal??? I am going back to United Airlines. So I won't fly into Kennedy, but the food is enjoyable. And they don't take you over the coals to make a date change on a flight that they have 20 open seats in business class, and 8 seats in first class. Done with AA.

Called in advance to make sure we could carry on our pet chinchillas. Told yes. Booked ticket. Show up on Xmas day. Refused us saying chinchillas were Rodents and not pets or not capable of being emotional support pets. Said I called in advance. "Supervisor" extremely rude and refused to help in any way outside of saying we could go online and request refund. Did not cancel us out. Even though she said she did... called and found out she tried to have us as a no show... actually asked if we could just leave the rodents behind. I asked if she would leave her children behind... lied to us and then tried to keep funds... worst was how she spoke about our pets like they were vital... and manager at Tampa American airlines domestic refused to come and speak to us... refused.

I have traveled with AA for years... will never travel unless I must. So now we were forced to lose prepaid hotels when we landed... could not cancel... and now driving 2400 miles on Xmas day and missing work as they lied to us and refused to do anything to even help or, make up for their terrible mistake. Now a car rental fee, gas, hotels, etc. They take no responsibility but I know the call was recorded when I asked and they said yes I could bring on with small pet carrier... horrible airline, woman should be fired speaking to paying guests that way and manager is spineless... American needs to learn how to treat people and train their staff properly at booking and guest check in!!! Now 4 days on road trip not planned due to their incompetence.

I was 8 MINUTES late checking into my regional VA airport on 12/14 for an international flight due to unavoidable traffic delays. EIGHT MINUTES. And do know what American Airlines did? They kindly rebooked me on a new flight and then charged me nearly $1700 for the privilege of flying this god-awful airline. No consideration, no change fee (I'd have been fine with that), no kindness. Instead, a whole new one-way ticket that cost me $500 more than my original RT ticket. "Customer Relations" was useless when I wrote to explain the situation. I am ashamed of you American Airlines. You will NEVER get a penny of my business ever again. I'd rather row myself across the Atlantic than give you a frigging cent!

In general I was pleased with the airline. Seats are cramped for international flight and while I have miles rewards we were put on a waitlist. Have tried to use the miles previously but again was unable to use them so I can comment further on this if I am ever able to use them for upgrade.

I'm a disabled woman trying to get my veteran son from Austin Texas to Sacramento Ca. I'm on a fixed income so I am financially limited. I look for the lowest price possible thru Expedia and get AA. I should of read the reviews here but I couldn't due to the prices bouncing around low to high within minutes of browsing. So I felt anxious and rushed. I chose a window seat and paid asap.

Well, now due to bad weather my son wanted to schedule a later day in January, 1 1/2 weeks later from original day. So Expedia/AA outrageously charged me! They wouldn't even help out a USA Veteran. They said that it would be cheaper if I just bought another ticket!? Why?! PAY TWICE??? Money is their goal. BEWARE. I'm going back to Southwest Airlines. SOO GREEDY!!! NOW, I'm afraid for my son getting on their blunderous flights. Plus something is causing their employees to get SICK and AA DOESN'T EVEN CARE!! Stay away!! I'll keep you all updated if they decide to drop the outrageous fees, just doubt they will.

American Airlines has done a terrible job in handling the delay of a flight that was completely their fault. The irresponsibility of this company is absurd. The pilot claimed to be stuck in traffic and didn't make my flight in time which caused a FOUR hour delay in addition to a loss of a connecting fight in Miami. It is extremely hard for me to comprehend that a company as big as American Airlines doesn't take the precaution to have a back up pilot in order to prevent these situations. Not only did I lose my connecting flight but I have been stuck in Miami overnight and have been put on standby way too many times without results of traveling to my destination. If you're thinking about booking a trip with American think twice. Make the effort to spend a little extra money on a much more efficient airline than this one!

AA is fine but cancellation is worst and just like my experience our flight dock us on the end of the airport and the next flight leaves in 7 mins and it was on the other end of the airport to get on the next plane and they left us for another 3 hours and misses the wedding. Worst experience.

My flight itself from PHL to MKE was fine. It was while I was leaving the plane in Milwaukee that I have a huge problem with. The flight attendant on the plane noticed that I have a cane and struggle with walking. She had offered to get me a wheel chair. I did not ask for one, she offered it to me. I happily said "yes that would be great" and thanked her.

A person brought me the wheelchair and as I'm departing the plane another flight attendant or maybe she was a counter girl, not sure, but she was not on our flight had started yelling at me saying had I ordered a wheel chair when I booked my flight, it would have been ready for me. I didn't know that was an option and again I didn't ask for the wheel chair, I was offered it.

This woman continued to talk about it and make a scene while we are going up the gate ramp. I has finally had it and told her to stop the chair and I got up and told her I will walk and that I didn't ask for the damn chair. As we leave the airport my daughter who had gotten off the plane before me to collect our bags proceeds to tell me this same woman had yelled at her about the wheel chair being brought to me and how I didn't order it. This is unacceptable and completely rude. No compassion and no heart. This woman should be ashamed of herself and needs to learn some customer service skills. Was it really that big of a inconvenience for her??? Really??? Never again will I give my money to American Airlines and fly their airline. Shameful!!

On December 16th at DFW airport, my flight Virginia was cancelled. I was automatically rebooked on a later flight to IAD, but asked to be sent to JFK since I had planned to drive up to New York with my family once I arrived in Virginia. When I was rebooked on a JFK-found flight, I knew that my luggage would still go to Virginia. But it took 6 days to make its way to me. The complete lack of consistency and information at the Baggage Call Center was shocking. I was told that my bag was in Virginia for days. During one call with the Baggage Call Center, an agent pretended that she was scheduling my bag for delivery and when it didn’t arrive, I was told by yet another agent that the people in the call center didn’t actually schedule bag delivery.

All the agent did was put a note in the file as to what she thought would happen which is NOT the same as actually scheduling it. I wasted an entire evening when I could have been out with family waiting for a bag that wasn't actually scheduled to arrive. At one point I was told my bag was scanned into Charlotte where it had been sitting for two days. Every time I called about my bag, all of the agents kept saying all they could do was send messages to the airport and that was it.

Out of desperation, I called the reservation hotline, begged for help, and demanded a supervisor. The agent attempted to tell me I needed to talk to the people at the Baggage Call Center but when I refused to accept his answer, he transferred me to Central Baggage. They finally located my bag which was actually at JFK for most of the week and had never been anywhere near Charlotte. After all that, all AA gave me a crummy $100 voucher. That's basically paying for taxes and fees on a full-priced flight, and I have no intention on using it. They will never get another dollar from me.

I am highly upset with this airline, not just me but my family! First off my mother went to Honduras on this airline this month of December for a week. This trip was for a funeral she had to attend for our deceased relative. This airline disrespected my family by giving my mother excuses of when the plane was going to arrive with the lost luggage with our relative's ashes from Florida. Every staff member in the airports were clueless until I explained to them the situation my mother told me about. I personally went to Reagan national airport to discuss the matter with the staff and they were helpful and understood my frustration as to how these things can happen with this so called "best airline". It was ridiculous to hear the 5 day policy or else your luggage will be forever lost.

I was extremely angry when I was given the reimbursement form so I explained to the lady that there are things in there that are irreplaceable. I explained that my uncle's ashes/Urn was in that luggage and that bag had to be found regardless because those are human remains and it hurt me deeply that something like this happened. The lady insisted calling Miami international airport which by the way clueless as well and checked to see if my mother's luggage was there.

We came with the conclusion that the bag had a different tag number and finally my family in Honduras called and were told that the luggage was there. It was a huge relief to us, however, someone in the American Airlines staff went through the bag and some of the ashes were mixed with clothes, etc. Highly disrespectful when clearly the urn had my uncle's info on a label. The only great experience I had was the comforting ladies at the customer service/Storage place who understood my frustration and stuck through most of the time I was desperate.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.
  • Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.
  • Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.
  • Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.
  • Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.
  • Best for International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Compare Airlines