American Airlines
3.21/5
Based on 2,157 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

American Airlines Reviews

Looking for a travel site?

American Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

On July 19, 2019 my husband and I were arriving from our trip to Peru. When we left to Peru we stopped at the Free Duty store and bought a Shiseido Day facial cream. (I have extensive skin cancer and I only can use certain facial creams. I forgot my facial cream at home by accident.) When we arrived to Peru we discovered that it was Shiseido Night cream instead. We packed cream and kept receipt to returned it or exchanged it for right product. When we arrived to JFK airport we couldn’t return the product because the only way to the free duty stores it’s from departure entrance. I spoke to the airline personnel on arrival and look for help with airport staff and nobody was willing to help.

Going through the departure check in counter asking for help, I met Nathalie **. She was the most kind and professional customer service person that took the time to listen to my problem and reach out for help to guide me and able to resolve this issue. Some other lady from airport came and gave me a number to call. I was able to exchanged my cream after contacted the number given. I want to thank Ms Nathalie ** from AA for her kindness and willingness to help a customer. She’s one of a kind. Thank you so very much!!!

Mabel

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

We had made an error when booking our flight. Unfortunately we were past the 24 hours free change policy. However, when I called and explained the situation, customer service was able to walk me through requesting an exception through their website. I received an email back within the timeframe given. They approved my request but what meant more was that the email was personal and not a scripted email. From beginning to end all employees were extremely understanding and sympathetic. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My flight this morning was late to take off from Boston due to unexpected snow... Because of this I was worried I wasn’t going to make my connecting flight to Sarasota so I had asked a traveling flight attendant a quick question about it & I was beyond amazed by the response... Cynthia ** for AA airlines went above & beyond helping me out! She walked me thru Washington terminal & even gave up her seat because it was closer so I could make my flight (I didn’t) but it was her kindness & thoughtfulness that made the whole process not as stressful... Thank you Cynthia & Lisa... Because of your kind act I will always look to fly American Airlines first going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My flight from Hawaii to JFK was canceled due to mechanical issues. We were grateful that they realized this before we boarded but this happened after we got to the airport checked in, checked in our luggage and waited for hours. When they canceled the flight there were 4 AA reps helping 300+ passengers. We were stranded for 1 1/2 days and were told by Stephanie and AA representative that we would be reimbursed for hotel, transportation and food. We just needed to submit receipts. We incurred approximately $1000. We were refunded 238.50. They said that was reasonable and "we should have read the fine print on the ticket when we purchased it. This is their Policy" Worst customer service ever. Worst overall caring for customer ever. I strongly advise flying anyone before American Airlines if possible. They clearly don't keep their word or care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Let’s start with arriving at the gate on time, which I did. I was welcomed with a 30-minute delay, that’s fine. We then boarded and waited 30 more minutes. Then 30 more. Then 2 hours more. And guess what? The pilots said screw it and never showed up. After that, the next crew also said screw it. Then, the entire flight was cancelled. That’s not all though, I then received a hotel voucher with a hotel without a shuttle. Thanks American Airlines for not screwing me once but now twice by leaving me stranded. This airline needs to hurry up and go out of business again for good. What a crap company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I had called to switch my flight, and was not happy about the $200 change fee on a flight 6 months out. The agent let me know the flight I was switching to was drastically cheaper and wouldn't need to pay the fee and would actually receive a $27 voucher. Pleasant surprise. Then was put on hold, and call disconnected. Interesting... Called back and spoke with a different agent and they said it was only now $27 cheaper and had to pay the $183 difference. Confused by how they operate, seems like one agent made a mistake and hung out to solve the issue. Terrible experience talking to their claims department as well. Why record calls if it doesn't help the customer? Would rather fly Spirit, at least they are honest.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Abhorrent customer service. Delayed out of Knoxville for no apparent reason. Watched in Charlotte airport for 15 minutes before gangway detached from airplane that was supposed to go to Pitt. Forced to stay in Charlotte but no compensation made for hotel or transportation citing “policy”. Rude, uncaring customer assistance. Manager not empowered to address anything and was uncaring and obstinate. Similar experience same evening for my wife but she was flying Delta - they took care of their customer. Simply put DON’T FLY AMERICAN!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Goodbye American! I've been a loyal customer of American Airlines for 30 plus years. We are just a very average, medium income family. We have used their credit card for years and have earned some amazing flights across the world. I do understand when I redeem those miles that seats are restricted and never complained. However, we always were seated together. Paying customers should get priority. Further, I do understand the very competitive nature of the airline industry. However, our latest experience is the last straw. I went to their site and booked our trip - not having a thought in my mind about seat assignments. Granted, it was my fault for not paying attention to the instructions, but I had done this several times in the past and didn't pay attention.

After I paid did I realize that the very basic function of seat assignments was denied us, because American is trying to squeeze every last dollar out of me! I discovered that I wouldn't be able to choose seats (if available) until 24 hours before the trip - and believe me, they're serious about 24 hours - to the minute!! No, enough is enough. I feel betrayed and humiliated by this company. I realize I'm an extremely small cog in this big machine, so I'll take our hard earned dollar elsewhere for future flights. Watch out consumer - the day is coming when American will add a fee for the potential oxygen usage of each passenger!

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information