American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

3.8/5 (2059 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We had to reschedule our destination wedding. We had booked an all inclusive through the resort website or so we thought, our kids had covid. We did buy the insurance but that was a run around as well. The reservation line called and said that if we wanted to reschedule the airlines would be an additional $ 1030. I looked at the AA site myself and it was the same price as our current reservation. I was told to call the airline then. Upset in tears being told call this person call that person I was distraught. Then an angel picked up the phone. His name is James. He said "Take a breath, it is ok. I got you!" He had the most calming voice I have ever heard in my entire life. He said that normally the reservation place would do this but this man had a heart and helped me through the worst day ever.

If you are LUCKY enough for this sweet man to answer your call then you will know what I mean. He is like no other. I have never felt as much from a phone call as I felt from him. Thank you James from the bottom of my heart for calming me down and helping me. You are a blessing to anyone that calls you. I hope this review somehow gets to you. Thank you!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I'm 25 (do not scroll away), I never write reviews. I don't write Yelp reviews, Amazon reviews, retail reviews, nada. Here I am. American Airlines Customer Service - Joe ** - is really the best. Is it really that serious I would go to the extent of writing a review? Yes it is. He was extremely patient and kind as I explained and tried to work through complications I made in the reservation process. I can't stress this enough: I hope AA makes a point of appreciating him and his work. He Deserves. Thanks Joe! I appreciate you.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I would like to leave an awesome review for Sage. I’m hoping she’s the only Sage in the company. Turns out her daughter and I have the same bday. Aside from that. She was very direct, clear and I had an awesome customer service experience with her. I asked her questions and she would answer them with no hesitation. Nowadays, it’s not easy to find someone like her. I thought she would lose her patience with me, but no she was great and genuine. Thank you for being good with me with rebooking my flight! You are an outstanding rep for AA!!! Truly appreciate it! :) -B

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I really never write a review but I feel that Jordan should be recognized. I missed my flight yesterday on Frontier airlines because the flight was delayed 3 times. Even though they sent flight updates they never informed the passengers that the TSA shut down at 10:30PM. Then we were informed that there wasn’t another flight until 4pm the next day. They also would not refund anyone’s money even though it was the airlines mistake. They stated that passengers could rebook or get a credit with the same airline. I decided to just buy a one way ticket from American Airlines because my son is walking for fashion week in Philadelphia for the 1st time and yes the moma has to be there. Mind you all other amenities are paid for, so that means I am currently paying for a hotel room I have not occupied.

I slept in my car and that was only a small highlight of the day I had yesterday, but now by the Grace of God I am here on flight 5649 from CTL to RIC. I said all that to say Jordan our flight attendant is a refreshing soul who has made my heart happy and I feel rejuvenated. She was so helpful and took her time to meet my needs. I am forever grateful for her hospitality. If I had the power to promote her I would and for those who are reading this if you have the power to promote her you should. Thank you JORDAN!!!

Original review: July 2, 2021

Many people who write reviews sometimes have a grudge, even about just a trip or two, and fail to remember how many times they flew safely and got to their destination. Pilots can't bargain with weather, malfunctioning equipment or staff shortages. AA is the largest airline in the world. A behemoth of this nature cannot provide boutique service. I've traveled a bit in my life, and 95% of the time my experiences have been positive. That's a pretty good record for a behemoth of a "people mover". AA's response to a tough scheduling error (both mine and the reservations agent) showed a genuine understanding of the importance of customer service.

Many people who experienced the travel situation I recently had would have reacted with angst, frustration, anger, and possibly responded with belittling, critical behavior. My incident revolved around a mistake made both in a flight credit schedule reservation by me AND a desk agent for AA in the airport. The mistake affected both the outbound and return flights. I missed one flight on the outbound leg, and one flight on the return as a result, having to purchase a one-way ticket from another airline at $600.00+ because AA, fully booked, couldn't get me out that day.

To correct problems with my return flight I had to put my husband on our plane (without me) and work again, to find an alternate time, which meant probably missing a connection. You cannot control what you cannot control...and though I was not, by far the most pleasant person to deal with at first, I knew the only thing to be done was to solve the problem.

Amazingly, in the end, the agent managed to get me on a plane that was needed at another airport. I was given a seat and discovered I was the ONLY passenger on board that flight. Just me. The steward and I laughed about it as he said this was a "record for him". He'd flown on empty planes, and full planes but never in all his service was only one passenger ever aboard. Yep, AA made me feel like a VIP that day. I made my connection. AND American Airlines gave me a voucher I was not expecting. This airline staff realized that I had gone through some significant difficulty and did everything they could to make it right. Many people might have rated this experience a one-star. Life is easy when things go well...but what matters is how effectively you solve a problem with your clients and customers. And for this, American Airlines, you've earned every one of these stars. Thank you. Leslie

Original review: June 21, 2022

Recently on a return trip with a layover AA bumped me and my partner without consent to a flight the next day. The flight was overbooked but we did not accept or entertain any offer to reschedule. We were bumped without consent or warning. They claimed it was due to a delay but all flights would have been made. In direct violation of the FTA we didn’t not receive credit. They are clearly using automated systems to move people from overbooked flights. Avoid at all cost.

Original review: June 20, 2022

So sad to see American Airlines stoop to such a low level. Despite a round-trip ticket purchase, they asked for the original amount of $610, then $1000, saying we had to wait for taxes, charging $2900+.

Original review: June 20, 2022

We had a flight booked from RDU to Antigua on Friday, June 10th at 8:00am. On Thursday night at 6:30 we got an email that our flight from RDU to MIA was cancelled. We called and they were ZERO help and said they couldn't get us there until Monday. We ended up having to rent a car and drive from 9:30pm through the night to get to Miami to make our connecting flight to Antigua. American Airlines has zero way to talk to someone about compensation for this flight and they have been ignoring our emails for a resolution. Basically, they cancelled our flight, kept our money and will do nothing to make it right. DO NOT FLY AMERICAN ...They are HORRIBLE.

Original review: June 19, 2022

They delayed our flight due to "engine issues". Then they got another plane for us, that also somehow has engine issues. They also said they were looking for a crew, but why when we just had a crew on our original flight. They kept delaying the takeoff time. They did this about 5 times, and 8 hours after the original flight was supposed to leave, they canceled it. Then they basically told us we could rebook at the counter or get a refund. I believe that that second we got off our original plane they knew we would not be taking off. When looking out the window at the second plane you could see nothing was being done to the plane, no luggage being moved, no refueling, and no maintenance being done. They gave us a $12 meal voucher as an apology, but at 10pm at night most of the places to eat were closed.

The line to rebook took us 2 hours to get through, we were toward the front. The flight they were able to rebook us on was a total of 21 hours due to long layovers. We were flying to Germany for a wedding/reunion and now because of the flight being canceled we would no longer make it there on time. It also cut our trip short by a full 3 days. I am extremely upset. I haven't seen my family for over 6 years, and this airline ruined it for me. I have a friend that works for American and she basically told me when staff is low, they cancel flights and claim "engine" trouble as the cause. This seems to be very true, and the total disregard for people returning home or getting to where they need to be is truly awful. Why would a flight get booked without a crew. It makes no sense.

This airline has really scarred me from flying. I will never in my life fly American again and I will pay more if I have to, to fly on better more reliable ones. I know covid caused staff shortages, but this is not the first time me or my family have had issues flying with them, even prepandemic. I would really recommend flying any other airline.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Booked a flight from TX to Santa Barbara. Sadly, this took 3 planes. One plane was not mechanically fit so changed planes. Next plane sat on the tarmac 1.5 hours because of "scheduling". In other words, they are so useless they don't know how to deal with flight scheduling and issues. Next flight missed because of "scheduling issues" so they wanted me to stay over. Ummm no. So I had to fly to another airport 200 miles away. No reimbursement for ANYTHING just, oh well, so sad too bad.

Return flight. SAME THING!! First flight delayed 45 minutes, next flight delayed FOUR HOURS and, you guessed it, they want me to spend the night again! Ummm NO! I have a child at home and care for an elderly relative so I CAN'T spend the night!! So RUN AWAY...run FAR away!!! No apologies, no solutions, no other way to avoid this except NEVER FLY with them again!!!

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information