1.33/5
Based on 211 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Airlines Reviews

2852 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Flying American Airlines is like taking a sled ride down a mountain of fecal matter. It really stinks, and you know you are going to end up with a sore ** and a very ** experience. Fly with these ** clowns only if you are desperate or if you want to arrive three hours late on purpose. 0 stars.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Worst airline I have ever used. I have flown dozens of flights with American and can say that on approximately 50% of my trips, I suffer delays or cancellations. Unheard of. American Airlines will strand you because of delays causing missed connections or 'maintenance issues' that only seem to crop up 3 minutes before boarding. I cannot depend on American Airlines for my travel because of its unprofessional behavior. Delays and cancellations occur minutes before scheduled boarding, even though you may have been waiting for 8 hours due to a previously missed connection that was their fault.

Two weeks ago, I spent 13 hours in DFW airport because of delay after delay, cancellation and maintenance issues. American Airlines is the only place where lightning can strike the same place 3 times. Today I'm delayed for 4 hours for a flight at ORD. No reason given. The gate agents are as in the dark as I am. The gate agents are not given the authority to investigate an issue or correct a problem, they can only reschedule a flight. Completely powerless. Need a different level of service? Think you deserve a voucher for being delayed or cancelled due to this poorly managed company's fault? You are out of luck. Save your money. Save your sanity. DON'T FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES! I know I won't.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The last leg of my daughter's American Airlines flight, 5590 from Charlotte to Cedar Rapids Iowa, was cancelled. Passengers weren't told why, and when my daughter finally got someone to help her try to reschedule, she was told her new flight would be TWO DAYS later. She doesn't know anybody in Charlotte, and was so overwhelmed that she couldn't hold back tears. The airline employee then managed to get her on an earlier plane-- just 24 hours from then. American didn't offer food vouchers or hotel vouchers, and my daughter hadn't known to ask for them. She called me, still crying, and I've been on hold with American for an hour an a half, waiting to speak with an actual customer service representative. Absolutely irresponsible corporate behavior.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Got scammed into purchasing additional flyer miles because I "Didn't have enough and need 3000 more." Purchased those for $130 and then realized I could just buy a round trip ticket with a different airline for $300 and the flight times I needed. Of course now there is nobody to be found to help me get refunded for the money I spent on additional miles I don't need. You just get transferred to one person after another that isn't sure who would handle that but they don't mind giving you a number to call and maybe hear back from after an hour. I have had a card with them for two years. It's a scam with a $100 yearly fee. It's a huge waste of money. Don't fall for it. The miles don't ever turn into anything.

Original review: June 12, 2018

American Airline is a heartless company. Absolutely has no humanity. After my father passed away, I decided to ask my 83 yo mother coming to USA and stay with me for 6 months. Because of her age, I purchased a business class for her for $3866.16 on the internet through Ctrip.com. The trip to Dallas was May 14th 2018 from Beijing to DFW, but she lives in Xian China, unfortunately, we have missed our flight from Beijing to Dallas in May 14th, it was caused by the airplane delayed from Xian to Beijing. I called Ctrip for help. They told me that I have to call American Airline.

After spoke to a representative from American Airline on the phone, she told me that my mother’s ticket has to change to coach on both ways with no extra charge if we want to leave the next day (May 15th 2018), otherwise, my mother has to wait for 28 days and departing Beijing in June 11th, she cannot give her a business class ticket. She recommended to take the coach ticket, we can talk to the agent at the gate. At that time, we take her suggestion because we think that could be the best solution. Also I can call American Airline to discuss the returning ticket after we get back to USA, it is not easy calling American Airline overseas. I thought that American Airline would understand our situation.

In May 15th 2018, at the gate, I spoke to one of the agent, she speaks Chinese, I tried to tell her what is our situation, I ask her if there is available seat in the business class, would she allow my mother sit there without any of service. She won’t listen to me, she checked with someone about my mother’s ticket, then tell me that “your mother has economy class, there is no mistake, she has to sit in the economy class”. Then she left and informed other flight attendants that we should sit economy class.

The entire flight was 13 hours, my mother is 83 yo. After we arrived in DFW airport, her feet swollen so big, she couldn’t even put her shoes on. I called American Airline and trying to explained our situation and discuss my mother’s returning ticket, sincerely ask them for help, I ask them to put her returning ticket back to business as I don’t think that she can take the coach seat for that long hours again. They told me that I purchased the ticket is through Ctrip.com, also I was volunteer to downgrade the ticket to coach, if I want her return ticket to business, I have to purchase the difference between coach and business class. I tried to tell them that we didn’t have any other options that American Airline offered to us, they didn’t want to listen to me.

I finally got hold two supervisors in two different time, The first supervisor told me that I’m qualify for some money refund, but I have to contact to American Airline Customer relations for this refund. I wrote an email to Customer relations, they refused me for any refund. I called back to the agent again and spoke to another supervisor, after she put me on hold and did all the research, she told me that I am qualify for the money refund, but it has to be Ctrip.com doing it on my behavior. Ctrip.com won’t want to do this as they told me that they don’t have record where they have got this ticket.

I called again to American Airline agent, this time, I also spoke to a supervisor, I ask her if she can send me an email to confirm this refund. She told me that she can’t send any email to me, also recommended me to purchase another one way business class ticket for my mother, then deal with American Airline Customer relations later and see if I can get any refund for the old ticket. She gave me two options. That is buy a ticket from DFW to LAX, then my mother has connection from LAX to Beijing for business class at price of $950.00, or I can purchase a one way business class from DFW to Beijing for more than $5000.00.

I said that my mother is 83 yo, doesn’t speak any English, I can’t let her have a connection in LAX, but another $5000.00 expense for the trip back to China, that is way too much for me. She told me if I concern my mother, I shouldn’t think the price. I was very upset and I ask her to write this conversation to her management. She said to me that "I transfer you to a manager." She transferred the phone to a person who is named Dakata (agent ID **), Dakata told me that I was volunteer to downgrade the ticket and agreed there was no money refund, for that reason, he doesn’t think there is any discussion and wanted to end the conversation.

This is what I'm complain of American Airline: 1. We missed flight, American Airline has punished us and downgraded my mother’s ticket to coach, but why she has to sit on the coach going back to China? We didn’t miss that leg the flight. 2. At Beijing airport, the American Airline gave us two options (downgrade the tickets to coach or wait for 28 days), we had no other choice other than downgrade it, now, they stated that we are volunteer to downgrade the ticket , I understand there is no money refund, that is just very upset me for they can say that words.

3. They also charged me $266.56 for downgrade my mother’s ticket. 4. They told me there is money refund from two different supervisors, now they refused to refund and trying to sell me a one way ticket. I really like to know how much money that they are going to get from my 83 yo mother. I can’t think this is happening in this country, I can’t believe American Airline has such a poor standard customer service. Only thing that I’m asking that is putting my mother’s returning ticket back to business, we have paid that price for the seat that we deserved, we didn’t ask too much right?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: June 10, 2018

Once again American Airlines has managed to screw us! Flight delayed so bad out of PNS that we can’t make our DFW connection??? To dig the knife deeper, all AA flights for the next 2 days from DFW to PNS are sold out. Now I am stuck paying for a rental car I never picked up and a hotel cancellation so last minute that I can’t cancel or change the dates! American Airlines just cost me $1500- $2k for a trip I can’t take due to THEIR delays! OMG. I miss Southwest Airlines!! Lesson learned. ??? #AmericanAirlines

Original review: June 10, 2018

First, when I wrote my review of our AA Vacations Westin La Paloma trip in April, I didn't think that experience could be worsted (opposite of bested), so I didn't expect to be writing about another superlatively bad AA Vacation again, at least not so soon. I was wrong. The moral of this story is if you value the welfare of your family, your time and your money, don't rely on aavactions.com. But I've gotten ahead of myself. Here's our story.

Things went beautifully on the first leg of what was to have been a fun family weekend in NY to celebrate the end of our son's school year. We sped through TSA pre, were greeted courteously at the gate and took our assigned seats in first class on AA1937. After a pleasant short flight to Charlotte, we connected to AA1981 bound for LaGuardia. When that flight didn't push away on time, the captain announced from the flight deck that a "minor technical issue" would hold us up briefly. I followed a running text stream of delay notices from AA on my phone. Then I received the dreaded notice of cancellation. Oddly, the flight crew were still telling us that the “technical issue” was in the process of being fixed. Specifically, the pilot advised that the copilot had flown too many hours to legally make the trip to NY and AA was on the hunt for a replacement.

When I told the cabin attendant that the flight had been cancelled, she passed the news to the captain who, nonplussed, announced that "apparently American Airlines notifies passengers of cancellations before telling its crew." We were advised to deplane and come back at 7:00 a.m. the following day. I immediately called AA Vacations who had booked as part of our package non-refundable tickets for activities and events on Saturday. I got a terrific agent named Kristen who nimbly booked us on a flight to Newark. She even kept our first-class status! All we had to do was run the mile from the end of terminal C to the end of terminal B before the flight's scheduled 10:00 departure.

We needn't have run. The flight to Newark was delayed due to a mechanical. First 11:00, then 12:00, then vouchers to Starbucks, then 1:00, then first class boarded, then we were told to deplane, then 2:00; and then it was cancelled. The gate agent, a terrific woman with a Superman pin affixed to her purse, explained sincerely sympathetically that because NASCAR was in town there were no hotel rooms left in Charlotte. Like Tom Hanks in The Terminal we were to live in the airport for the night. No options.

We dragged ourselves back to gate C19, the assigned departure gate for AA9200, boarding at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday. We were heartened to see an airplane already parked there. With nothing to eat, no place to sleep and no cardboard boxes, we were all newly sympathetic to street people. We put as cheerful a face on the five hour night as we could. When boarding time came, we didn't board. The plane that had been sitting at gate C19, on which we had hung the night's hopes was "the wrong size." Yes, the gate agent said he had been given an airplane "the wrong size" for the number of passengers booked.

I could feel the crowd of passengers working itself into a mob. Since most like us had been bumped from the CLT/LGA and CLT/EWR flights the night before, I could well sympathize. The angry atmosphere was aggravated by frequent admonishments from the gate agent, now flanked by three other merry AA agents in blue shirts, that we "should remain patient." Before the merriment and scolding reduced to rioting, we were sent to terminal D to board a "big plane."

We arrived in New York exhausted and too late for the day's scheduled activities. While my family slept, I worked the phone and AA Vacations to try to salvage the weekend. After being dismissed by two nasty agents, I had the good fortune to connect with Stacie ** and her supervisor, Brenda **. These two women could not have been more understanding, empathically courteous or professional. They were able to rebook most of our events. They also tried to help retrieve my son's lost bag, a carry-on that had been stowed comfortably in the overhead from Jacksonville to Charlotte, where a gate agent decided that even though it fit in the sizer thingy, it was not a carry-on and required checking.

The people at the Elysee Hotel, who were terrific, booked us in for an extra night so that we could enjoy the weekend more or less as originally planned. Stacie ** at AA Vacations booked us back on new flights and advised us to contact AA once our trip was complete to request a refund. I followed her instructions and requested a refund to cover the $300 hotel bill, unused tickets to MOMA, and some compensation for being forced to spend the night in the Charlotte Airport. I was told that AA Vacations doesn't do refunds and was directed to apply at prefund.aa.com, a site designed to wear you out. It did, so I wrote this short story for the sake of fellow travelers. I am a platinum million miler with American.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was on a layover and I'm handicapped. I ride on a scooter. For some reason I was traveling alone on this trip. When we entered the plane and the ac was fired up there was a terrible, toxic odor coming from the mechanism. There were families with babies on this flight as well as other disabled adults. The attendants just told all of us to quiet down and take our seats. We wanted off. The doors were shut. The ac was still blowing what We were afraid was toxic gases. Finally after 30 minutes of us breathing this stuff in, we were told to disembark and just to wait at the gate for further instructions. 3 hours later I was on a plane heading towards N.Y. and was expected to arrive in 1 1/2 hours. So I was traveling 7 hrs for a 2 1/2 hr flight... American did not even offer us a bottle of water.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The Stewardess make you want to drive instead of fly. Stewards should be there to make you comfortable, not to intimidate and threaten you. Sky Marshals, the TSA and the general nonsense regarding security make it so you don't want to fly anymore. I would rather drive and be on the lookout for homicidal police on the roads, than deal with a psychotic airline industry that is scaring everyone with a phantom menace that is not real.

Original review: June 4, 2018

We welcomed with an excitement the news, when American Airlines announced last year they will start operating seasonal (May - October) direct flight from Philadelphia to Prague. With our family ties to the Czech Republic, we fly to Prague quite frequently. I took direct flight # AY4144 on May 24th from Philadelphia to Prague and return on Monday, May 298th on flight # AY4145.

There is nothing wrong with the direct service, but what I found disturbing is the Boeing 767-300 used on this route is probably the oldest plane on the AA fleet. Seats in economy class are so tight, that it is difficult to fit in anybody over 5' tall. There is barely any room for legs and the back seat reclines about two inches max. With few TV's mounted in the ceiling, this plane reminds me one that I was flying about thirty years ago.

I've fly many different airlines from US to Europe but this is the most outdated and uncomfortable experience. Unfortunately, my next trip from Philly to Prague is coming up in a few weeks and I booked it way in advance also with AA. However, unless AA decide to upgrade the aircraft on this route, this will be my last travel to Prague with AA. I would rather change planes in Frankfurt, London or any other European city and fly on modern updated plane than having this horrible experience. Many of our friend who are flying frequently to Prague, either for leisure or business expressed exactly the same experience and do not plan to return.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had a reservation to travel from MCI to PHL early morning on June 3rd for a business trip. 8 hours before I left for the airport, I got a text message saying that my flight had been canceled and that I'd been rescheduled for June 4th. I called their customer service and was informed that all flights for June 3rd were completely booked. They didn't even explain what happened or why the flight was canceled. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, NOT SHOW UP TO MY JOB? I now have to book on another airline VERY last minute and this is costing the client money. American Airlines is a ** airline.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The seats are too small. You never know if you will even get on the plane because they overbook. They have lost my luggage and it was a carry on. Really?

Original review: June 1, 2018

American Airlines is LITERALLY THE WORST airline I've ever flown. My 5:00 a.m. flight to Charlotte was delayed a little over an hour, because the AC was broken, after we were told it would take 10-15 min to fix. We then missed our connecting flight from Charlotte to New Orleans and the next one was almost FOUR HOURS later. We had paid extra to have seats next to each other and in preferred seating and when we got off the plane and had to get new boarding passes we were basically told too bad. Nothing they can do about it.

When we arrived to New Orleans EVERYTHING in my bag was damp and all my clothes had to be put in the dryer... But I had NOTHING in my bag that could've leaked. On the way back, we had a layover in Chicago for an hour until our connecting flight to Newark. 40 minutes before our flight we found out we're delayed an hour. I'm sure 500 other things will go wrong before we even get back to Jersey. First and LAST time I ever fly American Airlines. Literally the worst flying experience of my life, and I once flew Spirit which is basically a clown car so that says a lot. Get it together AA, you suck.

Original review: June 1, 2018

A whole flight got cancelled for no apparent reason out of Dallas, Tx. Flight being delayed for over 3 hours and every time you approach someone to find out what's going on you get a response with an attitude, disrespectful and no kind of compassion for customers traveling with children. Not the 1st time this happens! I spoke to the manager in TX and he was just as rude as his employee. Way to go AA.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Started out on May 31 2018 my husband and I left Curacao st 7am on American Airlines to Miami flight 910. We arrived at Miami at 1230pm suppose to depart from Miami at 1:05pm. American airlines reported not one but three delays due to plane maintenance. My husband and I did not leave until 330pm to Charlotte SC airport. Flight had to be diverted to Columbia SC due to severe weather conditions. We were on the plane for 2 plus hours on the tarmac waiting for gas as well as weather conditions. 2 plus hours became 6hrs waiting on the plane in the tarmac. Flight attendants were extremely rude on flight 1233 segregating passengers giving only first class particular drinks and reporting to other passengers it’s against the law to give everyone drinks!!! They did give the coach customers water and apple juice.

We finally get to go back to Charlotte airport only to arrive to two more hours waiting on the plane on the tarmac. We arrive to a sea of customers waiting on connections only to find out several flights were canceled including ours. We then wait in a 2 hour line to speak to American airlines customer service to inform we have to wait until June 1st to depart with no compensation for our canceled flight due to maintenance and weather. No hotel vouchers or taxi vouchers or not cots to sleep on. I have attached a picture of my husband sleeping on the floor with construction going on as well as the line we had to wait in.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I fly with American 10+ times a year... Overall they are the best of the worst in their price point and where I fly out of and fly to. I've had a few experiences where AA miserably failed at customer service or even a helping hand... I've had to lose upgrades and lose money because AA hasn't seemed to actually put the customer first (meaning I've been bumped out of seats to give a deadhead pilot or crew member my seat). I know what to expect when I fly with them... Other airlines have better seats and onboard entertainment... You get what you pay for with AA... Nothing extra and nothing special.

Original review: May 28, 2018

My mother and I recently traveled to Florida to move my octogenarian grandmother across the country. The trip to Florida was uneventful, but the trip home was horrible. When we booked the flight, we were very careful to select seats in the "Main Cabin-Extra" section, because my mother and grandmother are both senior citizens with disabilities. I'm in reasonably good health, but I'm not exactly young anymore. We were also traveling with my grandmother's beloved cat and needed more space for her carrier. After booking, we called to make sure that the seats we selected were appropriate and to request assistance for my grandmother, who needs a wheelchair to get through the airport. Extra fees were charged for the seats and the wheelchair service.

When we got to the airport to come home, we were bumped out of the seats that we paid extra money for and, after waiting for 20 minutes, nobody showed up to help us. I had to get my mother, my grandmother in a wheelchair we found, her walker, two carry-on bags and a cat through security and to the gate with no help. I was so overwhelmed that I cried while dealing with getting the cat through screening.

Grandma was expected to walk into the plane, even though there was a chair available to get her to the seat. A very kind flight attendant helped her. While we were still in the air, we asked for a chair to get her off the plane and were assured that it would happen. It didn't. She had to walk and was put in an aisle chair in the jetway. She was scolded for needing to use the restroom before getting to our connecting flight because there wasn't much time. There would have been plenty if someone had gotten on the plane to help her, as we requested and paid for!

Before getting on the next flight, we brought up the seat issue with the gate agent. She yelled at my mother and I, explaining Preferred Seating over and over and telling us that we were bumped because of the cat. During the booking process, we asked about whether the seats were on with the cat and were told that they were! We also weren't even asking about preferred seating. We were asking about the Main Cabin-Extra upgrade, that we paid for, but she didn't stop yelling at us long enough to listen and understand. My mother and I both have Master's degrees, but she talked to us like we were morons. We let it go, as we didn't want to be refused service for getting angry with her and not be able to get home.

On the next flight, we requested an aisle chair again and, once again, it didn't happen. One of the flight attendants had the nerve to get impatient with us, because the next flight was getting ready to board. She was the one that we asked about the aisle chair, so she knew that we needed help! Grandma had to walk off of the plane again. I couldn't believe how badly we were treated and that we paid hundreds of dollars for services that we were refused. My job requires me to travel quite a bit and that's business that will be going to an airline who doesn't treat elderly passengers like dirt and steal people's money.

Original review: May 27, 2018

After watching a doctor get dragged and beaten off a United Air flight my impression of AA improved. AA is overall a very mediocre experience. A passenger expects to be treated with indifference and without any impression that they appreciate your business. When they advertise their credit card they state “priority” boarding but to American Air priority that translates to a Group 1 which is closer to the last group to board. The cabins are neither very clean nor extremely dirty and the best thing I can say about AA is that they have not yet lost any of my luggage.

Original review: May 26, 2018

On recent trip to LAX my wife and I were supposed to fly out of PHX. Our original gate departure was supposed to be A21, AA changed the gate to A20 however which was just 20 feet away, because of all the noise with several hundred passengers and 5-6 agents yelling over the PA at the same time. We did not hear the gate change and my wife happened to check the monitor and saw the change, we proceeded to the new gate and got there 15 minutes ahead of departure, (the jetway doors are not supposed to close until 10 minutes prior) anyway we checked at the podium and were told the flight was full and sold out and there were no more seats and could not get on (even though we had boarding passes and had paid additional for premium seating).

The agent sent us across the concourse to rebook and we were told there were no more flights until the next day, while we were standing there we had a clear view of the other gate and saw the agent open the door and let 4 other passengers on after we were told it was full. They refused to try and book us onto another airline and ended up booking us into Long Beach and we had to pay for an Uber to get to our actual destination, not only did we lose the money for the premium seats we paid for because we got stuck in the back of the plane in an available seat on one of those American Eagle planes that should not even be allowed to fly. Attempts to resolve the issue with an airline supervisor and a manager was useless and complaint to their customer relations department was just blown off. We are also advantage club members so I urge anyone that is an AA club member drop your membership and fly a different airlines other than AA.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I just had a flight from Sacramento to Los Angeles to make my connecting flight to Miami. I’m sitting in the LAX pissed off because of my first flight. I missed my second and when I say missed I mean by 2 min and now I have to wait for a later flight making me and my husband miss a full day in Miami. Basically I’ll miss a concert I bought tickets to for my husband's birthday which were 200$... This airline made me lose a lot of money travelling with them and they didn’t want to do anything about it! Never fly AA!

Original review: May 26, 2018

My last flight was from New York to Miami. The service and food were good. And also, really enjoyed a smooth ride and arrived on time.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Have used this airline as one of two regular choices. Find it to be the most customer service friendly for the local choices, but allows for complete international travel.

Original review: May 24, 2018

On March 31, 2018 I was in need to purchase a refundable ticket for my 90 year old mother. Because I was very concerned that the ticket be refundable, I physically called the American Airlines phone number to book the flight. The gentleman I spoke with informed me that by making ticket purchases with a real person on the phone would cost an additional $25, which I agreed to pay. He also let me know that there would be an additional cost for the refundable ticket, again I agreed to pay. I specifically asked him multiple times that this was in fact a refundable ticket. He assured me that it was.

Fast forward, my mother is now unable to visit me. I promptly called customer service to start the refund process. I was told that my ticket was not refundable. I spoke with a supervisor as well, and was again told I had not purchased a refundable ticket. They encouraged me to file a report and provide a doctor's letter stating that my 90 year old mother was unable to travel. I filed the report and have not heard anything to remedy the situation. I am very frustrated and concerned that nearly $500 of my money will be lost from my already tight social security income. I am hopeful that American Airlines will read this review and remedy my situation.

Original review: May 24, 2018

No rookie to flying. Domestic and international. For a major carrier in the USA, American wins my worst airline award. The pattern was set after about a dozen segments I flew on domestic and international routes in 2015/2016. They are always late on Dallas/Paris route so why post optimistic schedules you can never meet. On another flight out of Orlando we had blown engine over the Gulf of Mexico. It happens but how you handle it matters. There was with almost no update from the crew while the plane feels like it's coming apart. Ground handling of this delay was disorganized and rude. Another flight out of Phoenix the flight attendant banged his head during boarding and had to be replaced. That caused about an hour and half delay before we departed for SNA. In the mean time the SNA airport had developed fog and we had to return to Phoenix.

American called it a weather delay and refused to give us hotel rooms since this was the last flight out. Provided little assistance. They created a group of very angry passengers with this ridiculous excuse. If we had departed on time, there would NOT have been a weather delay. Their reservations system is screwed up. I couldn't assign my seats on an international flight on their flight. I called. Got passed around. They refused to talk to me unless I paid. Finally got through after a lot of arguing. Got a seat assignment but not really. They lied. Had to do it again. Boarding their flights? It's a mess with all the different status. AA Citibank card provides few benefits. Miles? I don't really care because they are of such low value and you have to endure way too much torture to earn a free flight on an airline you can't stand.

NOBODY that works at AA is even remotely courteous. Another time I was in line for lost luggage at LAX. Rudest individual you've ever met. Not the time for this attitude when THEY have screwed up. Told us to stand back "behind the line". We all look at each other and say, "What line?" She got angry and put a piece of masking tape on the floor and created "the line". I could go on and on but will stop here because I refuse to fly AA even if their flights are 1/2 the price of the competition. In the last 3 years, I've never had a negative experience on United, Southwest, and JetBlue on domestic and international flights.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Really it is a hit on miss when flying on America Airlines. Sometimes you get a state of an art plane with a great staff and other times you get a not so advance plane with a very lackluster staff.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have flown American Airlines for years. Overall, their service is very good and their staff is very courteous and knowledgeable. Their frequent flyer program is outstanding. My trip to Tallahassee, Florida last year required that I take along my portable oxygen equipment. I was not sure how it would get stored with me, but those attendants were right on the ball and knew exactly how to lower the handle and have it fit right under the seat in front of me. Whew, I was relieved that it did not create a real problem for them or me.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I recently traveled on American Airlines. The flight was great and customer service was top notch. I traveled with my son who happens to be autistic and without requesting any special treatment the employees were very accommodating. I will travel this airline whenever possible.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Flight delayed for nearly 4 hours. Reaching after 2 am. Horrible. How can airlines don't know about a 4 hours delay at right time. Informing of delay after the scheduled time. And then keep delaying furthermore at short intervals. This is most likely because the travels don't lose their patience. This is well planned psychological game that is played on travelers. When you speak to an employee at the counter, it not seem that they are sorry for you or anything close to that. They speak very confidently without any feelings that the flight is delayed. I need to take my night medicines for sugar and cholesterol and also thyroid and blood pressure medicine every morning. Which I don't have on me, and I would need to take these medicines. Entire schedule is pretty much messed up.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I fly internationally in AA and spend a lot of time in the air with the flight attendants. There are a lot of friendly attendants, but there always seems to be the one grumpy one the ruins the customer service rating. This one is usually one of the older ones. AA really needs to do something about that. The other complaint I have is how difficult it is to get status now on AA. In 2015 I had Executive platinum, but only Platinum last year. This year gold, and it's like I've been forgotten.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My elderly father was on speaker phone attempting to pay the difference for mileage points and balance due for a flight. ANA, the customer service agent was difficult to understand due to her rapid fire speech and heavy accent. She was extremely impatient and incredibly disrespectful to my father and we could hear her over speakerphone. ANA indicated the e-mail address he provided was incorrect and the balance due could not be collected per the incorrect e-mail address. The system did not recognize the extension.

My father asked which one she used and she wouldn't provide it. He said he didn't understand why and she wouldn't budge. He became frustrated and handed the phone to me and I calmly attempted to understand the issue... Ana spoke to me fast and I had difficulty understanding her as well. I asked her to slow down as she was telling me to execute a number of things and there was no clear communication so I could not. I really tried hard to work this through until I realized she is an angry person who had no self control nor compassion so I requested and got her supervisor, SASHA after being placed on hold.

Equally as difficult to understand through a thick accent and palpably disinterested in customer service - she refused to confirm why there is a difference in ticketing protocol than her employee, I became confused. I tried to understand how the process was so different and asked her if she would consider the frustration on the customer's part. She didn't care, insulted me and my intelligence. When asking to speak to her supervisor she said fine. I asked for the name after she said nothing. She yelled at me saying, "OH MY GOD, WILL YOU LET ME TALK?" And then hung up. I called back and got an empathetic individual who seemed perplexed at the experience and quickly processed the ticket, indicating his e-mail is the one he had initially supplied and aligned with his rewards mileage.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information