2. Travel

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5
Based on 1,754 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: March 30, 2021

When flying American Airlines you can bet that your pilots and the stewards, hostess are top notch. I have flown with American Airlines to Los Angeles from the Dallas Fort Worth international airport and felt extremely comfortable and confident. I have also flown out of Dallas to Belize City on several occasions. And I tell ya that the Belize international airport is very small. But the pilot landed and took off like it was nothing.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Since moving back to the Southwest I have been using AA for most all of my trips -- to the East Coast & to Mexico. I live in a relatively small town (Santa Fe) and it is one of the few airlines that flies directly from there. That saves me a great deal of trouble by not having to drive to a larger city (Albuquerque), long-term park & sometimes take a hotel for one night for an early morning flight.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

This airline has plenty of seating room for everyone. They have friendly staff. Their equipment is up-to-date, clean areas throughout the plane. Schedules are always on time or within a 5 minute window. The baggage claims are always accurate with customers' bags. The fees aren't as high as other airlines. The terminals' walkway are always clear of any kind of clutter. Their website is very easy to navigate through. Easy to book a trip to anywhere the airline goes. A lot of information they have is easily printable from the website. Layovers are not long compared to other airlines. Most airlines you have is sit and wait game but not at American Airlines. I love flying the friendly skies with American Airlines..??

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had a direct flight to Miami and from there to Cancun. The truth is that the new plane changes everything. It is comfortable and has entertainment on board. That change was needed! Also the super accessible rate. The crew is what makes me choose them on my next trips, super friendly, antentos, allowing us to settle in free seats for our comfort, happy, fun. On the way out of our flight we had a delay of almost a day but they gave us hotel food and transfers, I cannot complain they took over without hesitation. Also Jade stewardess of the Montevideo Miami flight on 11/5 was one of the kindest and most humane I've ever seen. Finding someone like that today makes your trip happy. We had a loyalty program with another airline, including our associated credit card. We canceled him and we went to advantage, keep it up!

Original review: July 11, 2020

Complain, complain, complain. People will not wait two seconds to express their ‘outrage’ when a flight is delayed or the serving cart was out of Diet Coke. My experiences with AA have generally been pretty good. For several years I was fortunate to take some international business trips for the company and allowed to keep the Advantage Miles. I’ve used these for personal family trips to England, Hong Kong and Boston.

I’ve found the AA flight attendants to be friendlier and more professional than on Cathay Pacific or British Airways. For example – on a trip to London, flying Club World (business class) on BA I asked for a bottle of water, please. I could see at the attendant’s station there were several bottles of water on the counter. “I’m sorry, sir,” the male attendant told me, “but we are out of bottled water in Club World.” “But,” I replied, “I can see you have some water up there.” “Oh,” he replied haughtily, “that water is for our First Class passengers.” Give me a break! My company spends over $4,000 for a ticket and you can’t even give me a bottle of water? Needless to say, that was the last time I flew British Airways!

In October, 2017, a baggage loading cart right next to the AA 777 burst into flames at Hong Kong airport just as passengers will boarding for the flight to L.A. Of course the flight was cancelled. The AA ground staff had to quickly deal with rebooking flights or finding accommodations for over 200 passengers. They handled this sudden emergency task with compassion and professionalism.

By the way, I’ve never had a problem redeeming my Advantage Miles for the trips I wanted. The AAdvantage telephone booking staff has always been very helpful and patient in finding seats for me on the dates and to the destinations I want! Some people here have complained that AA charged them extra because they wanted to change their ‘Basic Economy’ class ticket. Read the fare descriptions! Basic Economy is cheap for a reason – no extras come with it. If you want to change your ticket, book a better level of ticket where this is allowed! So complain if you want. But some of us have had good experiences with AA. Also, just a thought -- Sometimes if you talk to someone with courtesy and respect – you will get the same response and help in return. But if you come on strong like a spoiled cry baby – well, you’ll get just what you deserve back! Cheers.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Atrocious customer service. When American Airlines changed our flight number they screwed up our ability to check in online. We have tried to talk to them. This is the worst I have ever experienced. Four of us have tried MANY TIMES to get a hold of customer service. They call us back with an automated Voice and hang up. They tell us they can’t understand us. Disgraceful service.

Original review: April 5, 2021

AA took my reservation and when my credit card provider declined due to needing verification for amount, the airlines dropped the reservation. They said they emailed me 3 times (kind of hard to miss that!). I never got any emails and now when I need to make the reservation again, the flight went from $1900 to $2500. This trip is to memorialize my mother. She died of covid over the holidays. When I called to complain, they sent me to their site to email them the complaint. I keep trying to do that but the site only says "oops something went wrong". This is the worst airlines and I wouldn't travel with them again!!!

Original review: April 3, 2021

I had a terrible experience with American Airlines on 4/2 flight from Cabo to DFW connecting to MSP yesterday. My mom and brother are now stuck at DFW, because AA didn’t have a seat assigned for my 11 year old brother after we rushed to get through customs for our connecting flight to MSP. They told us he wasn’t checked in for the flight even though we checked him in at the San Jose/CABO airport plus his record number wasn’t connected to ours like AA PROMISED he would be. My mom had to stay behind to try to get my brother on the flight then they bumped them to standby and now may not have a chance to make it home. We were told this was AA fault; however, I am haven’t been helped at this time. Will never fly AA again if someone doesn’t resolve this issue.

Original review: April 1, 2021

On several of my past trips, the seat areas very dirty. When mentioned to an attendant, seemed to be disregarded. Otherwise staff friendly and knowledgeable. Saw a stewardess help a woman through a stressed state about flying..

Original review: April 1, 2021

It’s usually a pleasant experience. Sometimes I have issues with how they change gates to close to the flight time causing me to rush trying to get to the new gate. Their planes are usually relatively comfortable and new with TVs on each seat.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information