2. Travel

American Airlines Reviews

3.6/5 (1792 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: July 2, 2021

Many people who write reviews sometimes have a grudge, even about just a trip or two, and fail to remember how many times they flew safely and got to their destination. Pilots can't bargain with weather, malfunctioning equipment or staff shortages. AA is the largest airline in the world. A behemoth of this nature cannot provide boutique service. I've traveled a bit in my life, and 95% of the time my experiences have been positive. That's a pretty good record for a behemoth of a "people mover". AA's response to a tough scheduling error (both mine and the reservations agent) showed a genuine understanding of the importance of customer service.

Many people who experienced the travel situation I recently had would have reacted with angst, frustration, anger, and possibly responded with belittling, critical behavior. My incident revolved around a mistake made both in a flight credit schedule reservation by me AND a desk agent for AA in the airport. The mistake affected both the outbound and return flights. I missed one flight on the outbound leg, and one flight on the return as a result, having to purchase a one-way ticket from another airline at $600.00+ because AA, fully booked, couldn't get me out that day.

To correct problems with my return flight I had to put my husband on our plane (without me) and work again, to find an alternate time, which meant probably missing a connection. You cannot control what you cannot control...and though I was not, by far the most pleasant person to deal with at first, I knew the only thing to be done was to solve the problem.

Amazingly, in the end, the agent managed to get me on a plane that was needed at another airport. I was given a seat and discovered I was the ONLY passenger on board that flight. Just me. The steward and I laughed about it as he said this was a "record for him". He'd flown on empty planes, and full planes but never in all his service was only one passenger ever aboard. Yep, AA made me feel like a VIP that day. I made my connection. AND American Airlines gave me a voucher I was not expecting. This airline staff realized that I had gone through some significant difficulty and did everything they could to make it right. Many people might have rated this experience a one-star. Life is easy when things go well...but what matters is how effectively you solve a problem with your clients and customers. And for this, American Airlines, you've earned every one of these stars. Thank you. Leslie

Original review: March 30, 2021

When flying American Airlines you can bet that your pilots and the stewards, hostess are top notch. I have flown with American Airlines to Los Angeles from the Dallas Fort Worth international airport and felt extremely comfortable and confident. I have also flown out of Dallas to Belize City on several occasions. And I tell ya that the Belize international airport is very small. But the pilot landed and took off like it was nothing.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Since moving back to the Southwest I have been using AA for most all of my trips -- to the East Coast & to Mexico. I live in a relatively small town (Santa Fe) and it is one of the few airlines that flies directly from there. That saves me a great deal of trouble by not having to drive to a larger city (Albuquerque), long-term park & sometimes take a hotel for one night for an early morning flight.

Original review: March 19, 2021

This airline has plenty of seating room for everyone. They have friendly staff. Their equipment is up-to-date, clean areas throughout the plane. Schedules are always on time or within a 5 minute window. The baggage claims are always accurate with customers' bags. The fees aren't as high as other airlines. The terminals' walkway are always clear of any kind of clutter. Their website is very easy to navigate through. Easy to book a trip to anywhere the airline goes. A lot of information they have is easily printable from the website. Layovers are not long compared to other airlines. Most airlines you have is sit and wait game but not at American Airlines. I love flying the friendly skies with American Airlines..??

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had a direct flight to Miami and from there to Cancun. The truth is that the new plane changes everything. It is comfortable and has entertainment on board. That change was needed! Also the super accessible rate. The crew is what makes me choose them on my next trips, super friendly, antentos, allowing us to settle in free seats for our comfort, happy, fun. On the way out of our flight we had a delay of almost a day but they gave us hotel food and transfers, I cannot complain they took over without hesitation. Also Jade stewardess of the Montevideo Miami flight on 11/5 was one of the kindest and most humane I've ever seen. Finding someone like that today makes your trip happy. We had a loyalty program with another airline, including our associated credit card. We canceled him and we went to advantage, keep it up!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

We were supposed to fly Cancun-Dallas-Reno on 07/31/2021 but got stuck in Dallas because the flight to Reno was cancelled. We received a text message when our plane landed in Dallas saying they can rebook us for 08/03/21 on a flight to Reno, which we of course didn’t accept. We went to an AA counter in Dallas and when we heard we couldn’t get to Reno that night, we decided on a flight to Las Vegas to drive to Reno from there. That flight got cancelled too. After an hour on the phone because the lines at the airport to get service from AA were incredibly long, we were booked on a flight to San Francisco that ended up being 30min delayed. We were assured multiple times that our hotel and rental car to reach our destination would be covered. We landed in SF at 12.36am and then found out our bags didn’t make it after being assured multiple times by AA they’d follow us automatically.

We filed a claim at the airport for the bags to be forwarded to our house in South Lake Tahoe. After a night in a hotel in SF we took a rental car home to then find out our bags were sent to SF that morning. No notification about it to us though. We didn’t hear anything till 08/03/21 even though we were told we’d receive them within 24h after filing the claim at the airport. We finally received our bags on 08/04/21 at 12.42am. We are now sitting on the cost of the hotel in SF and the rental car even though we were told it would be covered but there was no way to book it through them and it’s impossible to get anyone on the phone to see where we can file a claim to get reimbursement for those costs.

I filed a claim with BBB but AA says we accepted SFO as our final destination when we changed our flight, so they won’t reimburse us, even though if we hadn’t booked to SFO instead we would’ve been in a hotel for 3 nights since they wanted to change our flight to August 3rd. We are a family of five (kids ages 3y, 8y and 10y) who were put through hours of running around at the Dallas airport while on the phone trying to figure out how to get home, to then end up 3.5h driving away from us in a hotel we didn’t reach till 2am and then having to drive home without all our belongings and then wait another 72h to finally receive them. We didn’t receive any refund for the hotel, rental car and extra food we had to purchase because we were stuck at an airport for hours. Shame on American Airlines.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Paid extra to fly in 1st class. Flight was delayed 3 hrs for a 2 hr flight. No one was at the terminal to keep us updated. Got on plane, no 1st class and bathroom in back of plane! No wi-fi, no refund.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Baggage delay after delay. They have taken over two hours and no one even has the decency to tell anyone anything. Their customer service is horrible. They don’t care about their customers from Economy to First class. Not worth the money. Don’t waste your money. Fly with someone else anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The flight had smoke in cabin and immediately landed. Emergency Crews boarded and tended to plane. All customers were at closed Atlanta airport with no open restaurant for hours. 2 hour line to rebook hotel/flight with only 2 people working to rebook. Eventually we flew out later that night and got home at 3am. They gave some of my coworkers $175 vouchers, but after sending email to customer relation, they gave me zero credit. Everyone had same experience on plane - however they don't treat customers equal. On top of that you can only reach Customer relations by email - you CANNOT talk to them on the phone. Bottom line - they don't treat customers equal AND if something happens with your flight, you roll the dice on email to get it resolved after the fact. CANNOT and WILL NOT ever trust this Airline again. Shame on their customer service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Booked a flight and chose a seat; as I scanned my boarding pass I was handed a slip of paper and told by the agent that I was downgraded and this was my new seat. My seat was directly in front of the bathroom! My one-hour flight turned out to be a six hour ordeal smelling the stench of the bathroom. When I contacted customer service they said, "Sorry, we’ll try to do better next time you fly with us."

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information