3.29/5
Based on 2,155 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

3215 American Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'm always taken care of. Service is great. I've traveled with AA for over 25 years. Never had a problem. Good work guys. I always get the seat I want, the steward are very helpful and customer friendly. Captains always explain when we will be landing, weather conditions and what sights we are flying past or over. I always enjoy my trip.

Original review: March 7, 2019

American Airlines is usually dependable but the last time I flew, there was over a three hour delay from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale. I understand problems unexpectantly pop up, but their updates were truly lacking. They had incorrect verbal messages by their agents, as well as, incorrect new flying time and gate numbers on the board. It was very difficult getting accurate flight info.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My flight this morning was late to take off from Boston due to unexpected snow... Because of this I was worried I wasn’t going to make my connecting flight to Sarasota so I had asked a traveling flight attendant a quick question about it & I was beyond amazed by the response... Cynthia ** for AA airlines went above & beyond helping me out! She walked me thru Washington terminal & even gave up her seat because it was closer so I could make my flight (I didn’t) but it was her kindness & thoughtfulness that made the whole process not as stressful... Thank you Cynthia & Lisa... Because of your kind act I will always look to fly American Airlines first going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: June 24, 2019

If I could give zero stars, I would. My husband planned a surprise vacation trip to Denver to see Andrea Bocelli. We were notified by email that our 8 am flight was canceled due to weather. We were rebooked to an 830 am flight. We arrived at the airport at 7 am only to be told that we could not print our boarding passes from the kiosk and were told to stand in a long line. An hour later, we made it to the attendant who piddled, chatted with her coworker over lost keys, etc. She had our tickets in her hand. At 819, she told us that we would not make the flight and tore up our tickets. Almost an hour later, we were told to be on a 1235 flight. That flight wound up being nearly an hour late.

We finally boarded and then told that a switch was out and we couldn't take off without it. We sat on the tarmac in the heat to only then hear that the part was not found and it would arrive on the plane from Dallas at 3 pm. We were told to get off the plane and stand in another line. After standing in that line for 45 minutes, we were told that there were no other flights to Dallas/Denver until the next day and the connecting flight was canceled so even if we took the 5 am flight, we would miss the concert. American Airlines expressed zero concern. Emma, the attendant at the desk never apologized for causing us to miss our 830 flight. No vouchers offered, no apologies, nothing. Worst experience and heartbreaking to be so disappointed to not make this surprise concert/vacation. We lost money on the first night of the hotel reservation, parking at the airport for 8.5 hours being stuck there and over $500 for the concert tickets. We will never fly American again.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Three weeks ago I was booked through American Airlines with an itinerary of Prague to Philadelphia, Philadelphia to Charlotte and Charlotte to Mobile. I was unable to check myself in the night before online, as I always do, for some reason that still hasn’t been explained to me. Once we boarded the flight in Prague, we sat for about 20 minutes until someone came over the speaker telling us the bathroom smoke detector had been activated and they were going to have to do a routine maintenance check. We didn’t receive another update for over an hour, and then it was just to tell us it would “probably be about another ten minutes”. Fifteen minutes later we received the same message almost verbatim. While planes are doing “routine maintenance checks” they have to disconnect the outside air stream from the plane, meaning we had no air flow in the plane for two hours, before an 8 hour 25-minute flight.

As we got closer to Philly, it was obvious many passengers on board were going to miss their connecting flights due to the delay. (A maintenance delay! Keep in mind. This is important.) I asked two flight attendants what procedures we should take to make the process go the most efficiently, one told me they weren’t sure and that I could check the app (?) and the other bold-face lied to my face telling me they had agents prepared at the gate we were getting off at with information for all passengers with a 2-3-hour layover that were going to miss their connections (A very intricate lie!).

Once we disembarked, I had very little time to make my connection, but it was possible! I followed directed signs to go through US customs (a very lengthy process) and made it to the next round of TSA security check. They would not let me through because American Airlines did not print my boarding passes for all of my flights, just for the first leg. I asked what I could do and they said, “Well, they should’ve printed them. You’ll have to go outside, walk to the next terminal and have a boarding pass printed.” So I sprinted outside in June to reprint a boarding pass that should’ve been printed at the start of my flight. There were four women standing at the desk, and I sat for 5 minutes before I was even acknowledged, since they were busy gossiping to each other about another coworker. My only saving grace was a male attendant getting on duty who held a flight to Dallas for me later that night in case I didn’t make my flight.

When I finally got to the counter for the Philly to Charlotte flight there was another couple from the original Prague flight running up at the same time (gate B13). The gate closed three minutes before we got there. We could SEE the plane sitting and it didn’t take off for another ten minutes. We tried to ask the gate attendants what we could do and they said, “We were working that flight. You can wait here until the next flight or go see someone else.” “Y’all can wait here but we’re not working right now.”

Then, they turned to each other and started complaining about us AUDIBLY. “It ain’t our fault there was a delay”, “What do they think we’re gonna do for them?”, “I’m off the clock when the gate closes”. I listened to the ladies rebooking all of us (thankfully the man from the beginning held one of the last seats for me) and I heard the attendant talk to the woman next to me like a dog. “I don’t know what you want me to do.” Well… We want to be treated with maybe the smallest bit of empathy???

I finally made it to the gate of my rebooked flight and had a small duffel bag as my only carry on. I had been traveling for six months and was holding all of my valuables, fragile souvenirs, etc. in that bag that clearly fit carry on regulations. The lady stopped me, said I had to check the bag. I tried to explain the situation to her, she cut me off and said, “Look, you can either check it or get rebooked. And it’s not happening tonight, we’ll rebook you in the morning.” First of all, I had not interacted with this woman yet. She had no idea if there was another flight to my destination. She tried to use an intimidation tactic to get me to comply, which I would have anyway! I sat down and started to try to see if I could wrap things in the clothing items I had and she yelled over my head “gate is closing in 4 minutes”. I was the last one getting on, she was yelling to intimidate me.

I get on the plane and NONE of the overhead compartments are full… A beautiful picture some of my Czech students created for me was shattered. Our flight to Dallas then flew in circles for over an hour to avoid storms. I asked another flight attendant what would happen if I missed my last flight, the last flight of the night to Mobile and she said, “Since it’s due to weather, we aren’t required to help you book a hotel.” WEATHER? If the maintenance issue hadn’t happened I would’ve been home HOURS before the storm even hit!!!!

Flash forward to yesterday. Again, I was told American couldn’t check me in for all three of my legs of flight. My first flight was Mobile to Charlotte, less than 2 hours. On original takeoff the brakes made an awful, screeching sound. A man directly behind me and a woman two rows behind me and to the right both commented they were concerned. Less than 30 minutes from Charlotte, the pilot came over the speaker to tell us we were being diverted to Columbia, South Carolina. At 4:53 we landed in Columbia. We were told it would be 45 minutes before we would receive an update and that even when Charlotte was clear, we were “nowhere near the top of the list to land”.

At 6:30 we were told we were reboarding the plane for the 25 minute trip to Charlotte. As we began to taxi and overwhelming smell of burning rubber filled the plane. We sat for another thirty minutes until we were addressed and told emergency services were coming to do a brake inspection. About this time, they turn the power in the plane off, in the middle of South Carolina, in the middle of June. It was 89 degrees, we sat on the plane until 7:52 when we were evacuated by emergency services on the jet way. During this hour and a half time with no air, we were not offered water ONCE. There were many elderly people and children under ten on the flight. The little boy in front of my had sweat beads dripping down his neck and was turning red. We were evacuated onto metal stairs, people who needed wheelchair assistance had to be lifted by flight attendants and emergency service personnel because there was no ramp or anything.

We were then put on a shuttle bus and told, “it will probably be a bit stuffy.” (?) The only terminal in Columbia airport closed at 7:45, so some of the children and other people who hadn’t eaten since we boarded the plane at 2:00pm had not eaten in hours. We were offered Cheez-Its, gummy bears, crackers, cheese spread and veggie straws with water bottles as our dinner. We were back into the terminal by 8:06, an agent did not come to address us until 8:40. We were told a flight crew was going to come get us to take us to Charlotte at 10:30, during this time they were giving out hotel vouchers for Charlotte but were unable to rebook our fights. We would have to do this when we got to Charlotte around 11pm. At 11:55 I was still in line in Charlotte to talk to an agent to be rebooked. They told me they could get me from Philly to Prague, but there were no seats from Charlotte to Philly (so how would this help me???).

Due to my last experience with carry ons, I decided I would only travel with my small backpack. I had no extra clothes or anything. I went to put in a request for my bag and the lady dismissively told me, "Ok! It’ll be three to three and a half hours to process your request." They were able to get me on a flight today (June 23) time at 7:00pm. I will be arriving (if there are no more delays! cross your fingers) a full 29 hours after my original scheduled time. American tells me my ticket type is non upgradable and all they could do to help me is to give me a $12 meal voucher.

I’ve spent hours on the phone and in person speaking with agents, none of whom have treated me as a valued customer (I’ve flown with them for years) or even a human being. There’s been no empathy, no trace of being apologetic, NOTHING. I would encourage anyone taking a flight, especially a flight with multiple connections or an international flight to fly with absolutely ANY other airline. I understand things happen and weather is unavoidable, but American Airlines customer service is a disgrace.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I was very upset with American Airlines. I did purchase my tickets on Expedia which is what they try to blame it on. They don't give quality service 2/3 party reservation companies so I bought my tickets on Expedia and me and my wife are put on the plane apart from each other one plane. We did have an option to pick seats next to each other but we would have to pay extra. This must be one of those scams to make extra money off people. I was very happy with Delta. My flight was booked with Expedia. Me and my wife sat next to each other no problems no extra fees. What's up with that American Airlines? I don't think I'll ever use you again.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Dear American Airlines, I wanted to simply explain a very simple cut and dry scenario that I was in with your company but your company failed in every regard to a simple resolution and caused me great harm and ruined what was going to be a bucket list type trip. Long story short I am a 100% combat wounded veteran since April 2017. I can fly on aircraft but always need to purchase first class tickets and take meds that keep me calm as I do have Severe PTSD, TBI Moderate and a host of other things

I won't bore you with but not your world I know but this problem all started when your company failed to honor my already paid for ticket. All the care I took for my safety on this flight threw out the window simply because the agents didn’t want to have to actually solve or fix a situation and I guess the American logo of more money not sure which but here we go.

The paid flight was a first-class ticket from Phoenix to FLL. Some drama getting out of Phoenix to think the crew needed more rest or whatever, that is what was put out over the PA system. It left about an hour late, we did get going finally. While that was taking place, the lady called everybody up to the counter and gave new tickets as she said we would not make flight and she handed me a couple of economy tickets before we even left Phoenix just in case. I informed her there I was traveling first class with my wife and by your own clock, we should make the next flight. Well, what do I know I got it. I did not want to change anything but she said over and over we will not make it, said I will take my chances.

Long story short we did make it by 34 minutes as the data will support my wife and I ran to the next gate in Chicago and had 34 minutes to spare, not to brag but we did make it. Anyway I presented the tickets I paid for and was told they gave them away to other passengers. Well, the story gets crazy here on but the bottom line was "We gave your tickets away. Thought you would not make it." Well no issue. I was a day earlier and asked very simply to get on another flight, wait whatever it took for another airplane that could fly us in the next couple days to FLL in first class (really this simple).

The lady was rude, said, "This flight booked you missed it. We gave your seats away." Only another option was a later economy flight to Dallas and we would be stand by, nothing guaranteed except it would not be first class. I took time to explain I needed them first-class option and paid for this not because I am rich because I have huge veteran-related issues, and stress out of control when close or touching other people. I can’t be in a small situation with no way out and some say don’t fly anymore. I guess at 59 100% VA combat wounded this might be my end and I will be stuck home forever but that doesn’t seem fair to me. I have never in 28 years asked anybody anything because I was a combat vet. I am no better than anybody else and don’t read my own headlines, but I do think after this horrible situation was getting ugly at the desk, more care and compassion.

I told the gate agent (first time ever) I truly needed help with this and would gladly wait till she had time to figure something out. She did not even care, "...to take the economy seat and if you are not happy there is the line for customer service (some 300 people in line with two agents helping reroute /issues)." Are you kidding me. I paid first class tickets, have them in hand and you tell me to hit the road or I thought call security. Customer service none, rude behavior prevalent, didn’t have time for me. Well, American am so disappointed with you guys and my treatment as a veteran. I told the lady with my lovely wife to aid me thru the airport, we needed help not angry out and frustrations. I was not at fault the other agent canceled my ticket I did not ask. The agent said we would not make it, we did and I was in front in time with ticket in hand and told to pound sand. Very disappointing.

I also was in tears by this time as the meds to keep me calm (**) wearing thin. I told the gate agent I was first class for a reason, not $$$$. I am retired (Army not rich). I don’t have a choice but fly first if I am to make it. That’s the simple logistics and I already thought thru everything, paid everybody and just expected you to fly the plane and get me there safe. Boy it was a nightmare.

End of story I was a mess, crying, upset, starting to lose control. My options be limited and nobody helped or cared less. I took the economy seats and two middle seats back of plane, not good at all. Caregiver was split off me and that really freaked me out until one nice man asked the flight attendant to help which she did not and moved with my wife so I at least had my caregiver next to me. I am still so upset. After paying to have this type thing never happen, pay top dollar and your agents just tell me tough luck, no alternative answer. "Put a refund in", she said. That is just not professional

Bottom line I am disappointed in American but to say I have many other choices is not really true. 4 carriers left and I guess you really do care less. Walk, I guess. I bet this was filmed as many people took at cameras after the horrible treatment it looked like I was getting. Maybe this social media thing is all you care about. Shameful American, shameful. And if not for a caring American not your staff who insisted and thanked me for my service and gave seat to my caregiver who knows what could of happened. But I know now how the United pulling passenger thing off the aircraft got so out of control. It's your ill-trained people. Heck. I was drugged and keeping, more calm and never lost control except emotionally. And to be honest the PTSD and claustrophobia is a pain but to have other American treat me so badly I wanted to just die. I have given so much and who really cares, certainly not American Airlines.

What I expect is nothing except my money back for a first-class ticket you failed to give me, anything else is your side of things. I am not writing to get a freebie from you, need nothing from your ungrateful company. Nothing at all, except my hard-earned money back. I am attaching all my first-class tickets, itinerary. Booking numbers should all be here. I certainly could solve this. I am going to make this my new mission to learn more about social media and shame you American Airlines. I will find video evidence although not really needed to prove anything except your shabby service. I hope to hear from you promptly a professional would. Again just want my money back. Good day Sir/Madam.

To all Veterans with combat-related issues, this is not a good choice of Airline. They have contacted me as to this horrible story I post, still no refund and nothing but a runaround and a call to say, "Sorry here's is a 150 coupon." I don't want $$$$. I want Veterans to be treated well period. We pay for a service provided, take precautions and outline a great plan to safely get thru airports.

American Airlines is beyond rude and don't expect (Veterans) for them to care about you. They have not and will not. Disgraceful service and the issue is I paid handsomely to not have these Veterans issues come up. My part was done as I always have correctly. They failed to provide for my safety, that simple. Veterans as retired CSM (1999) I bore you with this long story as a warning....American Airlines is really not Veteran friendly regardless of how many precautions. I took look elsewhere to spend your hard earned money. They are bad, you will be disappointed and may be unsafe as I was.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Worst experience ever. The airline made us miss our flight, failed to notify the gate that we would be 2 minutes late for gate closing (not for departure) and would not hold the gate. The plane sat there for 35 minutes while we stood there and watched unable to board. Customer service in the airport threatened us by saying that if we talk to a manager, we would get nowhere. The best they could do was 24 hours late flight. They would not put us up in a hotel. We had to sleep on the airport floor in Philadelphia. Then they lost our bags. Then when I tried to call customer service about the situation, they said it's not their fault and they would do nothing. I asked for the manager of customer relations, and she said their managers don't speak with people.

We lost $700 dollars of non-refundable reservations in Dublin, and missed the first day of our HONEYMOON. This heartless airline couldn't give a rip about our suffering or the money they made us lose. I will never fly with this wretch of an organization ever again. Their customer service is abysmal. Their heart is non-existent. Their service is always incomplete and incompetent. Their customer relations are worthless. Their customer service is rude and threatening. Their gate agents are ignorant and ill informed. And their company as a whole is a stain on humanity.

I will review them 0/10 on every platform I can find and tell everyone I come across to never do business with this company and will make my best effort to ensure they lose far more money than I did, all because they were unwilling to even consider my situation or understand they ruined my Honeymoon due to corporate greed. American Airlines, if you want to make this right in the future, feel free to contact me. You have my information. If not, I am going to continue blasting you at every turn and making sure you don’t screw over any of my friends or anyone who will read my reviews.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information