2. Travel

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.08/5
Based on 2,115 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I was on a flight from Leon Mexico to Dallas. While on the flight I had an empty seat next to me in first class. Don't ask me why, but I took my money clip out of my pocket, with cash, credit cards, and driver's license and put it on the seat next to me. Of course in my hurry to get thru customs and onto my next flight I forgot about it as I had put a newspaper over the top of it. So, I get thru customs and on my way to my next flight realize what I had done. I went to a AA customer service desk and they were absolutely unbelievable. They called the gate and they had the money clip. They then sent a "runner" to the gate and pick up the money clip and then met me back outside of customs and handed me the money clip. No cash was missing.... and I tried to give the runner $100.... she wouldn't take it. I made my connecting flight. Unbelievable!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

On July 19, 2019 my husband and I were arriving from our trip to Peru. When we left to Peru we stopped at the Free Duty store and bought a Shiseido Day facial cream. (I have extensive skin cancer and I only can use certain facial creams. I forgot my facial cream at home by accident.) When we arrived to Peru we discovered that it was Shiseido Night cream instead. We packed cream and kept receipt to returned it or exchanged it for right product. When we arrived to JFK airport we couldn’t return the product because the only way to the free duty stores it’s from departure entrance. I spoke to the airline personnel on arrival and look for help with airport staff and nobody was willing to help.

Going through the departure check in counter asking for help, I met Nathalie **. She was the most kind and professional customer service person that took the time to listen to my problem and reach out for help to guide me and able to resolve this issue. Some other lady from airport came and gave me a number to call. I was able to exchanged my cream after contacted the number given. I want to thank Ms Nathalie ** from AA for her kindness and willingness to help a customer. She’s one of a kind. Thank you so very much!!!

Mabel

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

We had made an error when booking our flight. Unfortunately we were past the 24 hours free change policy. However, when I called and explained the situation, customer service was able to walk me through requesting an exception through their website. I received an email back within the timeframe given. They approved my request but what meant more was that the email was personal and not a scripted email. From beginning to end all employees were extremely understanding and sympathetic. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

My son plays travel basketball and their flights are always paid for by the organization. Upon checking in via kiosk we were told to go to an agent. As the agent put in the reg# and asked to see my id she asked for the card that paid for the tickets, so Im confused as this has never happened. I advised her I didn't own the card and the coach paid for it. She stated, "Without the card I cant let you fly." So I call the coach which she would not speak to him but said to call cust service. I asked so if my child is coming home from college and I purchase his ticket in another state he wont be able to board? Long story short a total of 700$ plus gas and parking gone down the drain. AMERICAN AIRLINES are a joke and has all future business with myself and any organization I associate with. You were once something to brag on but now I feel the same about you as I do Spirit. You're a trash airline who does not care about your customers.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have been a weekly business traveler for 10 years. I have been part of Jet Blue, Delta, and other rewards FF programs. With Delta, when you get status (for loyalty) you get free upgrades. For the last 12 months I have been on over 60 American flights. To increase my status, I recently paid $1,000- $550 in giving up points accrued, and $450 in cash. My reward for this investment (and being a loyal frequent flyer) is to get upgrades often, but now I have to pay $80 for them since I gave up all of my accrued points. I would have been better off just paying for first class and not improving my status. Much of this is on me for not researching this thoroughly enough. You know the saying, fool me once ….. I will be evaluating other programs. If you are a frequent traveler I would take a detailed look at how the status programs work. There are better programs out there than American.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Had flight for me and my husband booked with American Airlines, all that was left even remotely affordable was basic economy. Business event we were traveling to canceled 4 days prior, hotel event and all. I asked AA for an exception on the basic economy so I could get a credit to fly with them in future if event gets rescheduled. They refused due to basic economy airfare. Friends traveling to same event, had booked non refundable basic economy with Delta, when showed business event was cancelled, they received a voucher for future use/travel. AA would not work with us at all. So basically if you are wealthy enough to afford main or first class, good for you, you can change and have emergencies come up and they will work with you, but not if all you can afford is basic economy. It was going to be my first time flying AA, I will not choose them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

As a frequent flyer, I would like to caution as many travels as possible against flying American Airlines. I've never in my my years of travel experienced the lack of customer service from ANY airline that I've experienced from American. I recently purchased a one way ticket through American Airlines from Atlanta to Portland. Prior to arriving at the airport I received several text messages indicating that the we would not likely make the connection to Portland based on delay on the flight leaving Atlanta. This included a link giving you the option to rebook.

Based on this message, I made arrangements to be picked up at the connection which was in LA. When it was my turn to board the flight (after scanning my ticket) I was told that I would need to check my bag. I asked the woman speaking to me if she would mind checking to see if there was any space (to which is responded very rudely; No). I then explained the situation and asked if my bag could be checked to LA. The response was again, no. She eventually tagged by bag and said ok, and began to roll it in the direction of the ramp. Immediately after, another lady from the ticketing area slammed the door. (In front of me and the lady rolling my bag) and said that I could not get on the plane. I asked why, and she indicated that I did not want to go without my bag. I said multiple times that I wanted to get on my flight. (No one would directly speak to me.)

They then proceeded to open the door for individuals behind me one at a time until they reached the standby passengers. (They were allowed to board as well.) I was then rebooked and told to return the next morning. I called customer service multiple times and was told there was NOTHING they could do. And that they did me a "favor" by rebooking me. When I arrived at the airport the next morning, I was number 2 on the standby list HOWEVER, a family of 6 was allowed to board ahead of me. Needless to say I did not make it onto that flight and was placed on the standby list for 4pm. (Which was also a full flight). I ended up having to purchase a $650 one way and have not been able to make any progress with American Airlines. What is the purpose of having a customer service division if you will not in fact service the customer?? Hope this helps you with your future travels.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I book a reservation with American Airlines as an AAdvatange member. An advantage of being a member is free baggage for 3 travelers. While make my reservation I misspelled my wife's first name. American Airlines told me a new reservation/locator had to be made for my wife. When they created a new locator, I was charge for round trip baggage. When I requested a refund, it was denied without reason. I will never fly American again.

Not sure about American Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information