1.21/5

American Airlines Reviews

2953 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Pregnant wife, son and I missed flight due to American Airlines delay. Employees at the gate told us that they literally just closed the door... After we were delayed two hours (due to AA)... Collected our baggage, went through customs, went through security, then to the farthest gate and end of the airport a frustration filled high volume back and forth ensued with a gate employee that told us that the door had just been closed and that he could not even ask them to just let us all on (my in-laws were with us as well)... American Airlines showed no concern or sense of urgency whatsoever for families like ours. The people behind me just notified me that they're going to miss the last flight available in a small airport and they will be sleeping in a hotel.

My pregnant wife, son, and in-laws will be sleeping in an airport because of your blatant disregard for humanity and common decency... Oh and the paying customer which big airlines like you shaft so you can line your pockets with our hard earned money. If there were any breaches of contract in the course of business on your end I'm sure you would use the full extent of the law to defend yourself... But why not defend and provide for us with the same vigor? We trusted you to provide us with a service. But we don't get to make an agreement with you. Instead we get a disclaimer, a waiver of your liability that we fly and pay at our risk whether services are provided or not. So despicable.

When I asked the flight attendants if they could possibly assist those passengers which are now most assuredly going to miss their flights off of the plane first they very rudely said that they cannot do anything "Maybe they could make an announcement but you know how people are" is what they told me. So they immediately shifted the blame to the other passengers that would not allow the delayed passengers to get off the plane as justification for not doing anything. They had given up before even trying to help. The attendants that literally did nothing but basically tell me... "Tough luck buddy" were Odette and Brenda on my flight 441 from Mexico to Phoenix and they made an insulting comment which my wife heard, she was a few passengers behind me and then let me know.

I know things go wrong. No one is perfect. But compassion is free, as are sympathy and empathy. All of which we received none... We missed our flight. Delays on every side of the airport process. Then as we got to our gate we were greeted by the two gate employees that told us we missed the flight and they had just closed the doors. No "I'm sorry" or attempt at helping us resolve our issue. They said the door is closed and there is nothing they could do. But in reality... Nothing is what they did. We pleased for help but instead they argued with us for minutes and brushed us off to customer relations... We will tell everyone about this American Airlines experience.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have really bad experience with this airlines. I wish I can give negative stars to them. I book my round trip from Charlotte, NC to Sacramento, CA. The day I was flying on that day flight was delay 45 min so called in customer care and ask them that I can not fly one way means I am only able to fly in return trip so they confirm it. After that the day I have to fly back from Sacramento, CA to Charlotte, NC at time 9 pm PST I reach at airport and I went at desk. So they told me that there is no value mention in your ticket. I was shocked that time and I reply him that I book my round trip and they already charge and I show him itinerary. So he told me to call in customer care and I called them and they put me almost 20 min hold so I told the guy that please do something otherwise I missed the flight.

They didn't help me and I missed the flight and I am also missed my one day at work. I book hotel and I went there and I called again and after 2 hour discussion with manager give reason that I am not flying on single way and that's the reason we cancel your round trip. Then I reply to him that already call in customer care and I informed them so it's not my fault. Still they didn't agree with my words. After they check in system and manager was agree that I already informed. So they again book flight for me but that's worst experience. I already missed my one day at work and I spend 150$ to stay in motel for one night. They didn't accept their mistake.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The flight from Dallas to Corpus Christi never goes on time. (10.20 PM flight) It is the same excuse. Late arriving plane. Late arriving crew. Just check the record of this flight. They cancel this flight when they have less passenger. Drive to Corpus Christi probably will take about the same time if you take in into consideration the delays.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I’m in Hong Kong! The problem is that I took off from HK 3 hrs ago. The captain turned the flight around because 2 passengers had a physical altercation after we were an hr into the trip. The two elderly women were escorted off the plane by a young airport staffer so everyone is now safe. Don’t you just love American Airlines. Actually I do have a lot to say about AA beyond the incompetence of this current crew. As per my flight with them 2 weeks ago: Once upon a time, there was an airline that represented top level quality in all aspects of the travel experience. It went by the name American Airlines. It is a foregone conclusion, since the late 1990s, that the Asian and Middle Eastern airlines dominate the skies in convenience, comfort, service, and price. Some of the Western carriers have made notable improvements in recent years.

The improvements are mostly cosmetic unfortunately. US based carriers have had a race to the bottom with the level of service. Thusly, and finally to the point, the culture of bad service can’t be rubbed off with even the most pristine fleet. I am writing this from an AA flight from Dallas to Hong Kong. The staff are hostile, territorial, and overall a bitter lot. At present, they’ve gathered in an area and are chastising anyone that deigns to walk through their enclave to get a refreshment. I will try to document with videos. There isn’t any common decency in the way they speak to people. It is quite aggressive, dismissive, and cocky. This is a flight of mostly Asians and most passengers respond with patience. I actually saw a similar behavior on my connecting flight from NY to Dallas. AA is just a classless tacky service culture airline and it will take them another generation to refurbish or replace this culture of uncouthness that they’ve normalized.

To be fair, it isn’t all of the staff but a significant majority. I fly over 400,000 km a year and AA is amongst the worst. I typically take Cathay, Japan Air, Emirates, Etihad, Korean, Swiss, Air France, Royal Jordanian, or British, etc. but this year I have had to use AA probably 5-6 times. I sit on a Board with one of the AA Board members and I will suggest they do better. Dr. ** I don’t have time to make suggestions but there are plenty to be had.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

10/17/2018. Budapest to Philadelphia cancelled. No explanation or communication at all. No email but others did get one. Wait in line for 4 hours to be directed to bus and hotel. 2 American Airlines staff to address 280 people. Who is running this airline? I would appreciate knowing what happened and why flight was canceled and why the 4 hour lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This issue does not only pertain to just one trip. I am wrote American Airlines customer service because every time I fly with American Airlines I undoubtedly have issues with the staff at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. In fact, I have heard many people have issues with the staff at the Phoenix terminal on an array of issues. The staff do not seem to be properly trained on American Airlines policies and procedures and it seems in large part that the policies are being subjectively reviewed and acted upon depending on how the staff member's day has been progressing. Especially, in my experience the subjectivity comes when traveling with a pet.

I fly with my dog frequently, she is wire fox terrier 15lbs, and every time I get clearance from my veterinarian to fly and pay $60 for the paper to show the airline. This most recent time at the Phoenix terminal the staff was not prepared, did not know what forms to fill out, and called over the manager to disapprove my boarding and journey further because they deemed my dog "too tall" for the bag. First off, it is a Sherpa bag, a bag approved by many airlines, second, she can stand up in the bag, turn around, and lay down, which is their policy. However, when she gets on the plane and is in the bag, she lays down anyway. I also always get the Premium upgrade for extra leg room so she also has room. The staff member said because she touched the bag height that she was too tall, it is a flexible bag and she can indeed stand in it.

The staff member was deeply insulting and tried to shame me as a pet owner, as an AKC certified pet, who travels with me all the time, I was appalled the staff member took this stance and even put up an argument when the manager told her "they had to allow me to go home on my returning flight." The staff member was upset that she was being told to allow me to get my ticket and then made sure to tell me twice that she was "flagging" me in the system and would also send a message to the Portland, Oregon airport staff to not allow me to fly with my pet again.

My dog is an emotional support animal who pretty much goes everywhere I go, including work. But I was also previously given such a hard time and asked about my medical issues, which is illegal, and twice was harassed by American Airline staff so much so that I gave up on declaring her as emotional support and started to pay for her to travel to avoid the additional stress. Still, I am being harassed. I understand policies are changing, however, I now pay $125 each way for my pet to travel with me and I assure the reader, someone who travels as much as I do with her pet, would not do so if the pet was not well taken care of, often times her fee costs more than my ticket.

To have American Airlines staff shame me, give me a hard time nearly every time I am in Phoenix airport terminal, and make my journey stressful, I have to say this was the last time I will be flying American Airlines. I realize, I am one person in a very small pond of millions of people and the airlines can certainly care less about one person, but I needed to finally write a review. After several months of traveling 1-2 times a month, this was the final straw.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was flying from Madrid to New York and this was my experience. On a flight from Madrid to Charlotte I was watching the movie and had my headphones on, when a stewardess was delivering the food. Apparently I was not quick enough to pay attention when she inquired me about the food choice, so she yelled at me, and not even waiting for my answer, practically threw a lunch box on my tray. Everybody on my row was pretty shocked. After she moved, I asked another stewardess if it was a problem with that lady, and she answered that she was extremely tired. I responded “So am I”.

My second accident happened because I purchased liquor in a Barajas Airport duty free shop. In Charlotte airport my duty free purchase weren’t allowed to be taken on a plane with me, and I was made to check it in as luggage. The airport staff helped me to wrap the purchase in my blanket and jacket. Despite that the bottles broke because of the negligence of transportation staff. As a result I lost my purchase on the amount of $35.00 and my belongings. The package was leaking so badly, that it had to be immediately after being picked up disposed into the garbage. Honestly I won't be flying American anymore. They seem to be the worst airline these days.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I think this is going so wrong. Sunday 10/14/2018 at 9 am I went to Dulles Airport IAD to catch a flight. The guy at the front desk (Chante) for check your bags he was so rude. He didn't answer the questions that we have and I ask for a pen to write down a telephone number but he didn't give it to me. I ask for his name he refuse to give it to me, but he has an Ethiopian accent and has a mark on his eye. I believe he had a tough life. He start shouting at me and raise his hand to my face. I start arguing with him and even threaten me, I hope someone read these complaints. This is shouldn't be the way you treat the customers. If anybody has a hard life they shouldn't come to work. I ask for supervisor or manager. He said, "I am the manager," but he wasn't 'cause he didn't want to bring his supervisor.

He was scared to get fired. He was so unprofessional. Couldn't find any number to call to explain my issue. Anyway my flight got cancel because of that stupid person and I went to Reagan Airport to get another flight. I thought in US they respecting the customers and the people but as far as I see most of them has a mental problem especially that guy in American Airline.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

American Airlines boarded me on flight from La Guardia Sat 10/13 bound for Dallas with connection to Sacramento. I learned later they knew my Sac flight had been cancelled, the plane had insufficient fuel, and Dallas was grounding planes. Why wasn’t the flight cancelled from LGA? Why wasn’t I contacted with option to rescheduled flight to Sacramento avoiding Dallas or even staying another night in NY then flying home on 10/14.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

A mistake was made when my elderly mother used American Airlines check in. Due to the deceptive nature of the web system, she ended up paying for priority boarding when she thought she was paying checked baggage fees, as we do on other airlines (this is an opt-out rather that opt-in option, designed to make such mistakes easier to cash in on situations like this). When we arrived at the airport and discovered the error, I immediately brought it to the attention of the baggage check receptionist. He told me he could not reverse the mistaken charge, that we would have to try to do that online, but he said he made a note in our travel record.

I asked to speak to his supervisor. She informed me that it should be no problem. I believed her, but I informed AA personnel at the gate of the error that we thought could easily be remedied. I asked if there was a time stamp on boarding, and they said there was. So, we did not use the priority boarding. Anyway, to make a long story short, when I did try to do that through American Airlines Customer Relations, the representative, Helaman **, refused to issue the refund that had been promised--A SERVICE THAT WAS NEITHER INTENDED TO BE PURCHASED, NOR USED. I informed Helaman that we had done our due diligence to inform AA of this in every way possible. I feel this is very unreasonable and a poor excuse for adequate customer service. I will continue to seek a satisfactory outcome. It is very disappointing that American Airlines chose to not make this situation right.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information