2. Travel

American Airlines Reviews

3.5/5 (1792 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I really never write a review but I feel that Jordan should be recognized. I missed my flight yesterday on Frontier airlines because the flight was delayed 3 times. Even though they sent flight updates they never informed the passengers that the TSA shut down at 10:30PM. Then we were informed that there wasn’t another flight until 4pm the next day. They also would not refund anyone’s money even though it was the airlines mistake. They stated that passengers could rebook or get a credit with the same airline. I decided to just buy a one way ticket from American Airlines because my son is walking for fashion week in Philadelphia for the 1st time and yes the moma has to be there. Mind you all other amenities are paid for, so that means I am currently paying for a hotel room I have not occupied.

I slept in my car and that was only a small highlight of the day I had yesterday, but now by the Grace of God I am here on flight 5649 from CTL to RIC. I said all that to say Jordan our flight attendant is a refreshing soul who has made my heart happy and I feel rejuvenated. She was so helpful and took her time to meet my needs. I am forever grateful for her hospitality. If I had the power to promote her I would and for those who are reading this if you have the power to promote her you should. Thank you JORDAN!!!

Original review: July 2, 2021

Many people who write reviews sometimes have a grudge, even about just a trip or two, and fail to remember how many times they flew safely and got to their destination. Pilots can't bargain with weather, malfunctioning equipment or staff shortages. AA is the largest airline in the world. A behemoth of this nature cannot provide boutique service. I've traveled a bit in my life, and 95% of the time my experiences have been positive. That's a pretty good record for a behemoth of a "people mover". AA's response to a tough scheduling error (both mine and the reservations agent) showed a genuine understanding of the importance of customer service.

Many people who experienced the travel situation I recently had would have reacted with angst, frustration, anger, and possibly responded with belittling, critical behavior. My incident revolved around a mistake made both in a flight credit schedule reservation by me AND a desk agent for AA in the airport. The mistake affected both the outbound and return flights. I missed one flight on the outbound leg, and one flight on the return as a result, having to purchase a one-way ticket from another airline at $600.00+ because AA, fully booked, couldn't get me out that day.

To correct problems with my return flight I had to put my husband on our plane (without me) and work again, to find an alternate time, which meant probably missing a connection. You cannot control what you cannot control...and though I was not, by far the most pleasant person to deal with at first, I knew the only thing to be done was to solve the problem.

Amazingly, in the end, the agent managed to get me on a plane that was needed at another airport. I was given a seat and discovered I was the ONLY passenger on board that flight. Just me. The steward and I laughed about it as he said this was a "record for him". He'd flown on empty planes, and full planes but never in all his service was only one passenger ever aboard. Yep, AA made me feel like a VIP that day. I made my connection. AND American Airlines gave me a voucher I was not expecting. This airline staff realized that I had gone through some significant difficulty and did everything they could to make it right. Many people might have rated this experience a one-star. Life is easy when things go well...but what matters is how effectively you solve a problem with your clients and customers. And for this, American Airlines, you've earned every one of these stars. Thank you. Leslie

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Since moving back to the Southwest I have been using AA for most all of my trips -- to the East Coast & to Mexico. I live in a relatively small town (Santa Fe) and it is one of the few airlines that flies directly from there. That saves me a great deal of trouble by not having to drive to a larger city (Albuquerque), long-term park & sometimes take a hotel for one night for an early morning flight.

Original review: March 19, 2021

This airline has plenty of seating room for everyone. They have friendly staff. Their equipment is up-to-date, clean areas throughout the plane. Schedules are always on time or within a 5 minute window. The baggage claims are always accurate with customers' bags. The fees aren't as high as other airlines. The terminals' walkway are always clear of any kind of clutter. Their website is very easy to navigate through. Easy to book a trip to anywhere the airline goes. A lot of information they have is easily printable from the website. Layovers are not long compared to other airlines. Most airlines you have is sit and wait game but not at American Airlines. I love flying the friendly skies with American Airlines..??

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had a direct flight to Miami and from there to Cancun. The truth is that the new plane changes everything. It is comfortable and has entertainment on board. That change was needed! Also the super accessible rate. The crew is what makes me choose them on my next trips, super friendly, antentos, allowing us to settle in free seats for our comfort, happy, fun. On the way out of our flight we had a delay of almost a day but they gave us hotel food and transfers, I cannot complain they took over without hesitation. Also Jade stewardess of the Montevideo Miami flight on 11/5 was one of the kindest and most humane I've ever seen. Finding someone like that today makes your trip happy. We had a loyalty program with another airline, including our associated credit card. We canceled him and we went to advantage, keep it up!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

American Airlines provides horrible customer service. No flight attendants were on duty the date of my flight going to Ohio from Charlotte. Coming from Ohio to Charlotte the plane had a malfunction. The service was just poor.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Very bad experience talking to a Operator. She was very rude. She did not know the answer to the question relate to a fly. I am very disappointed. They should have very attitude. Please get better training.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

They cancelled my flight to DFW due to weather, cost me another night in Columbus, another day of paid parking and having to travel to a different city to get home in time. Had to wait hours to even talk with customer care representative just to get switched to make sure I would be home in time for work. Contacted the Airlines to see if they would offer a voucher for money lost and they said they don’t do that, they just don’t care. Will never fly American again.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

American Airlines is a major USA airline and has pocket-friendly airfare with a great in-flight service. Recently I had an urgent meeting. Usually, American airline doesn't cost much but a last-minute flight costed way more than the usual price. When I look up online I found a flight booking portal that offered cheaper prices for the same. I booked my flight to Canada at a much lesser price and the service was surprisingly amazing. If you also face a situation same as this contact: +1-888-720-1433 and book a cheap last minute flight over a call.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Horrible customer service, our flight was cancelled and we were booked on a flight 4 hours from our intended destination that's the "best" they could do. I had paid for premium seats but we were placed in the back of the plane. They said I "should" receive a refund for the seats, but I should call the if I don't see it in a couple of weeks. Then they sent out baggage to our original destination causing us to have to travel an additional 2 hours out of our day to collect our bags the following morning. The attendant was like, "Oh well it's on your way," what? The airport was actually an hour out of our way, but AA didn't care.

After waiting 1 1/2 hours to talk to an attendant we were told our bag could be delivered to us the following day after they open at 9:30 am and it could take 4 to 6 hours. Seriously! We had to pay an additional $300 for the car rental since we were 4 hours away. Absolutely no consideration for people's time and money. Worst experience ever. Filed a complaint and all they offered was a small credit for us to fly with them again. No thanks!

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information