American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

3.5/5 (479 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We had to reschedule our destination wedding. We had booked an all inclusive through the resort website or so we thought, our kids had covid. We did buy the insurance but that was a run around as well. The reservation line called and said that if we wanted to reschedule the airlines would be an additional $ 1030. I looked at the AA site myself and it was the same price as our current reservation. I was told to call the airline then. Upset in tears being told call this person call that person I was distraught. Then an angel picked up the phone. His name is James. He said "Take a breath, it is ok. I got you!" He had the most calming voice I have ever heard in my entire life. He said that normally the reservation place would do this but this man had a heart and helped me through the worst day ever.

If you are LUCKY enough for this sweet man to answer your call then you will know what I mean. He is like no other. I have never felt as much from a phone call as I felt from him. Thank you James from the bottom of my heart for calming me down and helping me. You are a blessing to anyone that calls you. I hope this review somehow gets to you. Thank you!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I really never write a review but I feel that Jordan should be recognized. I missed my flight yesterday on Frontier airlines because the flight was delayed 3 times. Even though they sent flight updates they never informed the passengers that the TSA shut down at 10:30PM. Then we were informed that there wasn’t another flight until 4pm the next day. They also would not refund anyone’s money even though it was the airlines mistake. They stated that passengers could rebook or get a credit with the same airline. I decided to just buy a one way ticket from American Airlines because my son is walking for fashion week in Philadelphia for the 1st time and yes the moma has to be there. Mind you all other amenities are paid for, so that means I am currently paying for a hotel room I have not occupied.

I slept in my car and that was only a small highlight of the day I had yesterday, but now by the Grace of God I am here on flight 5649 from CTL to RIC. I said all that to say Jordan our flight attendant is a refreshing soul who has made my heart happy and I feel rejuvenated. She was so helpful and took her time to meet my needs. I am forever grateful for her hospitality. If I had the power to promote her I would and for those who are reading this if you have the power to promote her you should. Thank you JORDAN!!!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Many people who write reviews sometimes have a grudge, even about just a trip or two, and fail to remember how many times they flew safely and got to their destination. Pilots can't bargain with weather, malfunctioning equipment or staff shortages. AA is the largest airline in the world. A behemoth of this nature cannot provide boutique service. I've traveled a bit in my life, and 95% of the time my experiences have been positive. That's a pretty good record for a behemoth of a "people mover". AA's response to a tough scheduling error (both mine and the reservations agent) showed a genuine understanding of the importance of customer service.

Many people who experienced the travel situation I recently had would have reacted with angst, frustration, anger, and possibly responded with belittling, critical behavior. My incident revolved around a mistake made both in a flight credit schedule reservation by me AND a desk agent for AA in the airport. The mistake affected both the outbound and return flights. I missed one flight on the outbound leg, and one flight on the return as a result, having to purchase a one-way ticket from another airline at $600.00+ because AA, fully booked, couldn't get me out that day.

To correct problems with my return flight I had to put my husband on our plane (without me) and work again, to find an alternate time, which meant probably missing a connection. You cannot control what you cannot control...and though I was not, by far the most pleasant person to deal with at first, I knew the only thing to be done was to solve the problem.

Amazingly, in the end, the agent managed to get me on a plane that was needed at another airport. I was given a seat and discovered I was the ONLY passenger on board that flight. Just me. The steward and I laughed about it as he said this was a "record for him". He'd flown on empty planes, and full planes but never in all his service was only one passenger ever aboard. Yep, AA made me feel like a VIP that day. I made my connection. AND American Airlines gave me a voucher I was not expecting. This airline staff realized that I had gone through some significant difficulty and did everything they could to make it right. Many people might have rated this experience a one-star. Life is easy when things go well...but what matters is how effectively you solve a problem with your clients and customers. And for this, American Airlines, you've earned every one of these stars. Thank you. Leslie

Original review: March 19, 2021

This airline has plenty of seating room for everyone. They have friendly staff. Their equipment is up-to-date, clean areas throughout the plane. Schedules are always on time or within a 5 minute window. The baggage claims are always accurate with customers' bags. The fees aren't as high as other airlines. The terminals' walkway are always clear of any kind of clutter. Their website is very easy to navigate through. Easy to book a trip to anywhere the airline goes. A lot of information they have is easily printable from the website. Layovers are not long compared to other airlines. Most airlines you have is sit and wait game but not at American Airlines. I love flying the friendly skies with American Airlines..??

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had a direct flight to Miami and from there to Cancun. The truth is that the new plane changes everything. It is comfortable and has entertainment on board. That change was needed! Also the super accessible rate. The crew is what makes me choose them on my next trips, super friendly, antentos, allowing us to settle in free seats for our comfort, happy, fun. On the way out of our flight we had a delay of almost a day but they gave us hotel food and transfers, I cannot complain they took over without hesitation. Also Jade stewardess of the Montevideo Miami flight on 11/5 was one of the kindest and most humane I've ever seen. Finding someone like that today makes your trip happy. We had a loyalty program with another airline, including our associated credit card. We canceled him and we went to advantage, keep it up!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

We were leaving Toronto to visit our family after 2.5 years. We had done our research on the COVID-19 requirements for Jordan, and had obtained our RT-PCR tests. When arriving at the counter, we were greeted with unfriendly and rude staff that told us they cannot accept our test results because it was an 'RT-PCR' and not a 'PCR'. They claimed that the RT stood for rapid test (which it does not). We called the Jordanian airport and confirmed that they would accept our results. We also called the lab and they confirmed that the RT-PCR was not a rapid test and was accepted.

Despite this, we were rudely told that this was not the staff's problem and they had been given explicit instructions from their management not to let anyone through. They mentioned that if they were to let people through and Jordan sent them back, they would have to deal with the costs. We spoke to 5 different team members, all of which treated us disrespectfully, even rolling their eyes at one point. We were with 5 other passengers running into this same issue, one of which was travelling to see her mother prior to her surgery. They showed absolutely no compassion for any of this. The worst part of all this was that one of the American Airlines employees told us to alter the document to remove RT and they will be able to let us on the flight. What a joke of an airline!

We ended up having to cancel our trip and were told that our re-fund would show up in 6 - 8 weeks. We booked another flight on Emirates that same day, they accepted our results and we were able to get into Jordan successfully with absolutely no issue. We are still waiting for our refund, and despite us having 0 control over this, we had to pay a cancellation fee. We will never be taking American Airlines again, the slightly lower price is not worth it and often ends up with more of a headache. We have also shared this story with our family and friends to ensure this "airline" will not get their business.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

AA lost my bag and it is impossible to speak to a live agent to resolve the issue. I have been placed on hold several times for 2+ hours, only to have the agent transfer my call to be placed on hold for another 2+hours. They give the option to call back, but do not call back. I have been unable to contact them for four days. Avoid this airline. They are short staffed and it shows. Customer service is the worst.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I was so uncomfortable the way American Airlines employees the way I was treated like a 2nd class citizen at JFK airport, New York. They were all very disrespectful. One female employee, seems like one of the supervisor would even block my face with her hand while I was asking where I can fall in line. I don’t understand why do AA keep such employees?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I flew from Cancun to Evansville, connecting through Dallas. On the first leg of the flight the stewardess on the loudspeaker was audibly drunk and slurring her speech. By the end of the flight she sounded as if she had re-upped and became even more inebriated. This isn’t the reason for the negative review, however. Upon landing in Evansville, myself and about 15 other passengers waited by baggage claim to receive our luggage for around 10 minutes. At this time an employee notified us that there was no more luggage on the plane, and that it would be flown in the next day. Today is the next day and that flight was cancelled. Screw American Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

The worst experience in my life! You have to wait hours to contact customer service. Stay away from these scammers!!! I canceled my flight and received credit for future travels. Once I wanted to use this credit I was told it has to be from Canada. It is ridiculous, I wasn't notified about this policy before. OF course, they won't return my money. Stay away from these scammers!!!

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information