2. Travel

American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.93/5

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: July 11, 2020

Complain, complain, complain. People will not wait two seconds to express their ‘outrage’ when a flight is delayed or the serving cart was out of Diet Coke. My experiences with AA have generally been pretty good. For several years I was fortunate to take some international business trips for the company and allowed to keep the Advantage Miles. I’ve used these for personal family trips to England, Hong Kong and Boston.

I’ve found the AA flight attendants to be friendlier and more professional than on Cathay Pacific or British Airways. For example – on a trip to London, flying Club World (business class) on BA I asked for a bottle of water, please. I could see at the attendant’s station there were several bottles of water on the counter. “I’m sorry, sir,” the male attendant told me, “but we are out of bottled water in Club World.” “But,” I replied, “I can see you have some water up there.” “Oh,” he replied haughtily, “that water is for our First Class passengers.” Give me a break! My company spends over $4,000 for a ticket and you can’t even give me a bottle of water? Needless to say, that was the last time I flew British Airways!

In October, 2017, a baggage loading cart right next to the AA 777 burst into flames at Hong Kong airport just as passengers will boarding for the flight to L.A. Of course the flight was cancelled. The AA ground staff had to quickly deal with rebooking flights or finding accommodations for over 200 passengers. They handled this sudden emergency task with compassion and professionalism.

By the way, I’ve never had a problem redeeming my Advantage Miles for the trips I wanted. The AAdvantage telephone booking staff has always been very helpful and patient in finding seats for me on the dates and to the destinations I want! Some people here have complained that AA charged them extra because they wanted to change their ‘Basic Economy’ class ticket. Read the fare descriptions! Basic Economy is cheap for a reason – no extras come with it. If you want to change your ticket, book a better level of ticket where this is allowed! So complain if you want. But some of us have had good experiences with AA. Also, just a thought -- Sometimes if you talk to someone with courtesy and respect – you will get the same response and help in return. But if you come on strong like a spoiled cry baby – well, you’ll get just what you deserve back! Cheers.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I was living in Scotland when I received a call that my mother was shot and in surgery in New Orleans. Right away I booked a flight but that airline was getting me there so late. A lady from American Airlines saw I frantic I was and asked if there was anything she could do. I told her what was going on and she said they had a flight that would be getting to the States earlier than the one I was on. She took my ticket and changed it to American. I’ve upgraded me to business class. The pilot knew what was going on and contacted the hospital my mother was in to find out how she was doing and related it to me. American Airlines went above and beyond in helping me. Ever since then I fly American Airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2020

My travel included a connection in Dallas. The origin check in process was uneventful using the kiosk and I checked 1 bag. Agent was available at the kiosk to assist if needed and agent at bag drop was efficient and pleasant. Boarding was organized and the gate agent helpful in getting me a choice of seats. He had a great helpful attitude even with the pressures of about 6 preboard wheelchairs and aisle chair customers, and checking about a dozen gate bags.

Arrived in Dallas a few mins early, changed from A to C concourse and arrived a few mins prior to boarding. Agent called me up and was able to provide upgrade to load was on lighter side. Again pleasant manner and organized boarding. Arrived destination on time. Prior to departure in Dallas addressed FC passengers and the rest of the cabin, thanking customers and joking a bit as well as explaining a bit of en route weather.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I am Executive Platinum on AA. I won't fly any other airline. The service is always stellar and the employees at all levels always exhibit professionalism and are very friendly. Having Dallas as a hub is convenient for travel to any place in the world. The planes are clean and newer models. The entertainment systems are upgraded. The first class cabins have wide comfortable leather seats with stellar service by the first class attendants. Traveling 4 days a week is stressful enough, but the employees are always helpful and cheerful and make a long day seem much better. This from the gate to the flight attendants.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I was on a flight from Leon Mexico to Dallas. While on the flight I had an empty seat next to me in first class. Don't ask me why, but I took my money clip out of my pocket, with cash, credit cards, and driver's license and put it on the seat next to me. Of course in my hurry to get thru customs and onto my next flight I forgot about it as I had put a newspaper over the top of it. So, I get thru customs and on my way to my next flight realize what I had done. I went to a AA customer service desk and they were absolutely unbelievable. They called the gate and they had the money clip. They then sent a "runner" to the gate and pick up the money clip and then met me back outside of customs and handed me the money clip. No cash was missing.... and I tried to give the runner $100.... she wouldn't take it. I made my connecting flight. Unbelievable!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

After several poor experiences with both the airline itself and the ensuing lack of customer service, I wanted to warn others. Most recently they left me stranded in a connection city and I was forced to pay for accommodations. They also delivered my luggage (after losing it for 24 hours) soaking wet which ruined several items inside. After several attempts to contact customer service and ask for reimbursement for accommodations ($100), I finally received a reply saying, "Sorry but we don’t cover that." After similar situations in the past, long story short is they are unreliable and have 0 customer service.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I flew from Fort Lauderdale to Asheville, NC. last week. The announcement was to wear a mask on board over mouth and nose or you cannot fly American again. My first flight the woman sitting by the window, myself being on the isle with one person between. The window woman would not cover her nose because of COPD. I explained to her she could catch or pass on the Covid by not covering her nose. I told a flight attendant to ask her to cover up. For 2 seconds she did. I asked again and they said they couldn’t make her to do it. Her next flight was to TN. I asked them if they were going to let her fly to TN. No real reply.

I changed planes in Charlotte, NC. The next flight I made a seat next to a woman from TX. Same mask thing. Again I asked her to pull up her mask. She about 35 years old as the TN woman was older. The flight attendant did not say a word to her. I tried to let it go while visiting a friend in Black Mountain. The next flight home a family of three was sitting in the waiting area with no mask. One of them got through American’s scan system to board. The mother and daughter got caught and had to get masks from the gate desk. On that flight and the next people again were not covering their noses. Even though they are stupid people but the Airline should make sure their customers abide by their rules. I will never fly with them again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Original flight details: AA record locator **, Reservation Name **. In June of this year we purchased 2 adult tickets from American Airlines at a total cost of $734.40. We were scheduled to fly on October 29 but had to cancel the trip in August due to Covid issues at our destination city. We requested a refund and were told we could only receive a credit. We attempted to use the credit in October and were told it would require not only the credit, but would require an additional$ 400.00 for each passenger to fly. This was from Austin to Albuquerque. We then asked if we could combine the credits so at least one of could fly at a reasonable rate. American Airlines refused. The best part is that we were told our credit was only good till 2021.

At this point we don't plan to use the credits and apparently the prior money we spent is simply gift to American Airlines. We were able to book our flights from Albuquerque to Austin on Allegiant Airlines for a total of $526.00 for both passengers. At this point we will not consider American Airlines for any future travel plans. In my opinion you are thieves. Good luck with that business model.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

On 10/5/2020 I made a reservation for a trip from Charlotte to Hartford. I had to change it twice. The first time I called they said a agent will call me back in two hours. They did call back and changed the trip with no issues. The second request was the same issue, an agent will call back in two hours, after the second call they did change the flight but they said it would be an extra $20.00. I spoke to the agent (who was very rude) and said that is the price for changing the flight. I told her that the first time I called there was no charge, she said the changed flight is $20.00 more and there was nothing she can do. Not a very good customer service company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

We booked 4 night vacation package to Mexico using Costco Travel leaving 10/03/2020 at 6:23 AM from SEA. They use American Airlines for the flight. We went to airport at 4 AM in the morning, trying to check-in, just to be told by agent (spent 1.5 hours on the counter with her) that we cannot board the flight to Mexico because my wife's Permanent Resident card expires in 3 months, and according to agent's claims it needs to be valid for at least 6 months to travel to Mexico, otherwise Mexico wont let her in.

Tried to call Costco Travel and they open Saturday at 8 AM, so calling them wasn't an option. Went ahead and called American Airlines, and instead of clearing out the issue they said they will give Costco credit waivers for future travel, and just went and cancelled our flights since it was like 6:05 AM, and we didn't even check-in, or go through security line. I told them I need my money back if I can't travel, but they said I need to contact Costco and the tickets are non-refundable.

After going home in couple hours wasted, I checked Mexican Embassy's website, and also American Airlines' site, and found out that the 6 month rule only applies to passport, and not Green Card, so the agent probably lied to us just to 'bump' our flight, and make some money. Very upset on that our 5 year anniversary vacation was ruined, I called Costco to get them to fix this (since now it was after 8 AM and they opened up). Although they did agree that 6 month rule only applied to passport, and that airline didn't let us fly for invalid reason, they said they can only give me partial refund, which is about 1/3rd of what I paid because they have contract with AA and they take their money, and to get the rest I need to try to use my credit card dispute or wait 4-6 weeks until American Airlines gets back to them, and even then refund might not be possible.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information