2. Travel

American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.89/5

American Airlines Reviews

Original review: March 19, 2020

I was living in Scotland when I received a call that my mother was shot and in surgery in New Orleans. Right away I booked a flight but that airline was getting me there so late. A lady from American Airlines saw I frantic I was and asked if there was anything she could do. I told her what was going on and she said they had a flight that would be getting to the States earlier than the one I was on. She took my ticket and changed it to American. I’ve upgraded me to business class. The pilot knew what was going on and contacted the hospital my mother was in to find out how she was doing and related it to me. American Airlines went above and beyond in helping me. Ever since then I fly American Airlines.

Original review: March 16, 2020

My travel included a connection in Dallas. The origin check in process was uneventful using the kiosk and I checked 1 bag. Agent was available at the kiosk to assist if needed and agent at bag drop was efficient and pleasant. Boarding was organized and the gate agent helpful in getting me a choice of seats. He had a great helpful attitude even with the pressures of about 6 preboard wheelchairs and aisle chair customers, and checking about a dozen gate bags.

Arrived in Dallas a few mins early, changed from A to C concourse and arrived a few mins prior to boarding. Agent called me up and was able to provide upgrade to load was on lighter side. Again pleasant manner and organized boarding. Arrived destination on time. Prior to departure in Dallas addressed FC passengers and the rest of the cabin, thanking customers and joking a bit as well as explaining a bit of en route weather.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I am Executive Platinum on AA. I won't fly any other airline. The service is always stellar and the employees at all levels always exhibit professionalism and are very friendly. Having Dallas as a hub is convenient for travel to any place in the world. The planes are clean and newer models. The entertainment systems are upgraded. The first class cabins have wide comfortable leather seats with stellar service by the first class attendants. Traveling 4 days a week is stressful enough, but the employees are always helpful and cheerful and make a long day seem much better. This from the gate to the flight attendants.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I was on a flight from Leon Mexico to Dallas. While on the flight I had an empty seat next to me in first class. Don't ask me why, but I took my money clip out of my pocket, with cash, credit cards, and driver's license and put it on the seat next to me. Of course in my hurry to get thru customs and onto my next flight I forgot about it as I had put a newspaper over the top of it. So, I get thru customs and on my way to my next flight realize what I had done. I went to a AA customer service desk and they were absolutely unbelievable. They called the gate and they had the money clip. They then sent a "runner" to the gate and pick up the money clip and then met me back outside of customs and handed me the money clip. No cash was missing.... and I tried to give the runner $100.... she wouldn't take it. I made my connecting flight. Unbelievable!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

On July 19, 2019 my husband and I were arriving from our trip to Peru. When we left to Peru we stopped at the Free Duty store and bought a Shiseido Day facial cream. (I have extensive skin cancer and I only can use certain facial creams. I forgot my facial cream at home by accident.) When we arrived to Peru we discovered that it was Shiseido Night cream instead. We packed cream and kept receipt to returned it or exchanged it for right product. When we arrived to JFK airport we couldn’t return the product because the only way to the free duty stores it’s from departure entrance. I spoke to the airline personnel on arrival and look for help with airport staff and nobody was willing to help.

Going through the departure check in counter asking for help, I met Nathalie **. She was the most kind and professional customer service person that took the time to listen to my problem and reach out for help to guide me and able to resolve this issue. Some other lady from airport came and gave me a number to call. I was able to exchanged my cream after contacted the number given. I want to thank Ms Nathalie ** from AA for her kindness and willingness to help a customer. She’s one of a kind. Thank you so very much!!!

Mabel

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: June 30, 2020

I was surprised to see that both flights were fully booked and absolutely zero social distancing. The extendable handle was broken on my suitcase. Neither the lady in Pensacola nor the gentleman in Dallas offered to assess the damage and begin a claim. I was told to bring the empty suitcase back because they did not have one to give me. I just got off the phone with them and was told I had to do so within 24 hours and I cannot go back to the airport today. So I paid them $60.00 to check my luggage and now have to buy a new one. I will never fly American again.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I booked 2 tickets with American Airlines on 5/6 from Atlanta to Miami for $126 per ticket. When I checked the same exact flight again on June 3rd at 9:30PM, it was $51 per ticket. So I called customer service a couple minutes after, but the automated message said there was a long hold time and it gave me the option to get a call back instead of staying on hold. I chose the call back and didn’t get a call back until 11:04PM that night and by that time, the flight had doubled in price, but I went ahead and asked the representative if I could get a credit by cancelling my existing flight then book it at the $51 per ticket price. I specifically asked him “next time it goes down, I just book this cheaper flight and then call in to get a credit for this other flight?” And he said “yes, you got it”.

On June 5th at 10:38AM, I see that it went back down to $51. Before booking at the cheaper price, I call in to get my credit first and am told that it can’t be done. The representative and her supervisor kept saying “you have basic economy so you can’t make those changes, you either use it or lose it”. I told them that I had previously been told I could do that and they insisted that wrong information was given to me. I then emailed customer support and received a very confusing response and honestly felt like my questions were just brushed off. There were no instructions on how to obtain a refund or a credit. I reply and ask them to please let me know what I can do to achieve that. No response. I give them the weekend and Monday morning to respond. Still, no response.

Monday (6/8) afternoon I send another email requesting a follow up and let them know that I feel like I’m being ignored. Once again, no response. I file a complaint with the BBB and they still refused to give me any kind of refund or credit even after explaining what I had been told before. It even clearly states it on their website that due to COVID-19, this is something that could be done. Here is the link for reference https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/coronavirus-updates.jsp Horrible, money hungry company who only cares about profit and not their consumers. Never flying with them again and I suggest you don’t either. I’d give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: June 24, 2020

American Airlines is running a "You can modify or change your reservation without change fees" campaign. However, a modification or a change is going to cost you in that American Airlines will claim that the new flight has a higher cost than your originally booked flight. I changed a return flight from New Orleans to Philadelphia that was on Friday to Thursday (same flight). The flight on Thursday was half empty, so it would have cost nothing for American Airlines to move my flight from Friday to Thursday. Also, the flight being half full indicates that the price of the flight on Thursday was likely not higher than the flight I booked on Friday. Nonetheless, American Airlines decided to charge additional $222 for the change.

Another layer to this is that my direct flight from Philadelphia to New Orleans was canceled by American Airlines 3 hours before the flight. I had to scramble to adjust my schedule and flight on the morning of the flight. American Airlines changed my flight to a one-stop flight through Dallas. This is during Covid-19 outbreak so I specifically booked a direct flight to avoid being in additional airports and planes. I compared direct flight versus one-stop flights from Philadelphia to New Orleans. A direct flight typically costs twice that of a one-stop flight. When I requested a refund for the change made by American Airlines, it was denied. So if a customer makes a change, the customer pays more. If American Airlines makes a change, the customer gets less.

Original review: June 18, 2020

My husband and I recently flew on American Airlines. They kept mentioning their new social distancing. So basically it was a PACKED plane, every seat was full. The only thing different is they don’t serve any food or drink (unless you are first class, I guess then you can’t spread COVID) in order to maintain social distancing. They also did not enforce wearing a mask. So what’s the point of denying food and drink when you fill up the plane and don’t enforce your own rules?

Original review: June 11, 2020

We have an annual business trip to Hawaii each year and it was cancelled due to COVID-19 and Hawaiian Airlines gave us a refund and American will not.... Please DO NOT give them a dime and want service.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information