3.29/5
Based on 2,156 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

3204 American Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'm always taken care of. Service is great. I've traveled with AA for over 25 years. Never had a problem. Good work guys. I always get the seat I want, the steward are very helpful and customer friendly. Captains always explain when we will be landing, weather conditions and what sights we are flying past or over. I always enjoy my trip.

Original review: March 7, 2019

American Airlines is usually dependable but the last time I flew, there was over a three hour delay from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale. I understand problems unexpectantly pop up, but their updates were truly lacking. They had incorrect verbal messages by their agents, as well as, incorrect new flying time and gate numbers on the board. It was very difficult getting accurate flight info.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My flight this morning was late to take off from Boston due to unexpected snow... Because of this I was worried I wasn’t going to make my connecting flight to Sarasota so I had asked a traveling flight attendant a quick question about it & I was beyond amazed by the response... Cynthia ** for AA airlines went above & beyond helping me out! She walked me thru Washington terminal & even gave up her seat because it was closer so I could make my flight (I didn’t) but it was her kindness & thoughtfulness that made the whole process not as stressful... Thank you Cynthia & Lisa... Because of your kind act I will always look to fly American Airlines first going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: June 15, 2019

On June 13th I was scheduled to fly out of Orlando International Airport to LaGuardia at 8:27pm; after a few delays and little to no communication from your agents we were suddenly instructed to board as quickly as possible before the pilots became illegal to operate the aircraft. We were given a time frame for all passengers to board safely of 35 minutes which created complete chaos. Once boarded we left the gate, rode around for 40 minutes and then were told that the flight would not be leaving and that we were headed back to the terminal. Once back I rescheduled an indirect flight (I paid for a direct flight) which got delayed and then ultimately canceled. American offered me a $12 food voucher for my troubles. I eventually gave up and forked out another $480 to fly a different airline. The agents were rude and obviously didn’t care about customer relations.

Original review: June 15, 2019

This company is going down the drain with customer service. They cancel flights on a regular and don't care how they ruin your plans. Their attitude is very nonchalant when they tell you "Sorry oops but we have no more flights." Once upon a time this was a well respected company. Now I wish I never booked a flight with them and definitely will never book again and going to encourage everyone I know to follow suit. Signed a sad and disappointed ex customer.

Original review: June 14, 2019

This company left my family, my two young children, and my elderly father stranded in the Miami airport for 2 days before we decided that we had to take matters into our own hands and drive 1300 miles home. They did not refund us for the ticket, nor did they cover the additional expense of getting home. We have been lied to multiple times by this company. We paid $2500 for a flight home and never received the service due to our flight being overbooked. They do it to anyone who flies with them. Paying customers have no rights with this Airline. Buyer Beware.

Original review: June 12, 2019

This corporation just lacks humanity. Talking to most customer service reps felt like talking to civil servants in ex-socialist countries, where you need to bribe to get things done. The ideal customer-AA relationship has evolved to one where the customers seem to be serving customer service reps. Our scheduled flight was cancelled 5 hours prior to take off, and it was rescheduled to another airport (JFK to EWR, which costs 180 USD in Uber and 2 hours). We also had to pay for our own hotel stay. We subsequently missed our new flight as the attendant refused to acknowledge that we purchased check-in luggage options beforehand.

For more than once, I encountered very rude and impatient customer service rep at the CTL dedicated customer service desk. All of them have the “You should know this” attitude when the only option is to verify and confirm with them. There was also one customer service rep who asked to back off from the counter when I stood in front of her for a full minute. I was enquiring about the my seat confirmation for a rescheduled flight and was given the answer that I can get it confirmed when the gate opens.

I proceeded to ask if there are other ways and I was given the answer “Do you want me to repeat my answer in another way?” The customer service rep then proceed to rant. I sincerely hope better customer service could be given and less passive aggressiveness would be displayed by their customer service reps. The incident happened at 12 Jun, CTL airport (Charlotte) between 1200-1230 hrs.

Original review: June 11, 2019

NEVER, EVER, FLY THIS AIRLINE. I wish I could say I'd never fly them again, except they've essentially taken over Philadelphia International and it's hard to find other airlines to fly somewhere. On June 7th I had an 11:00 a.m. flight that was cancelled for "technical difficulties". No notice, and all the passengers had to scramble to find other flights. American didn't offer to put us on another airline, they put us on a flight at 7:45 p.m., which meant I would miss the first night of a two day meeting I was headed to. After a day waiting at the airport I got on my plane, which had a malfunctioning nose gear, which forced it back to the terminal. After being told it had been repaired, we left again only for it to malfunction again. The flight was then cancelled.

I don't know how a large airline like American doesn't have contingency plans for these eventualities. Between parking and lost hotel fees I lost over $300, not to mention lost PTO and just a general loss of my day. American offered me nothing for this, nor did it offer something as simple as a meal voucher for hanging at the airport all day. When I wrote to complain they gave me 7500 frequent flyer miles, which is fairly insulting. To make it worse, a friend flying to the same meeting was given 10,000 miles. When I wrote to ask why they said that complaints were handled on an individual basis and they wouldn't match the 10,000 my friend received. Bottom line, American Airlines has terrible service and if they screw you, your only recourse is to say "Thank you sir may I have another!" Don't fly them if you can avoid it!

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information