1.16/5

American Airlines Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3040 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had purchased a departure ticket on United to Houston. I purchased a return ticket on American Airlines. Due to weather, I never took off on the United Flight to get me to Houston. I should note all flights include American Airlines from the departing airport were canceled. United refunded my ticket with no argument and was completely gracious, similar to how Delta has been with me. Polite, clear and apologetic for the condition. I called American after United to cancel the return trip (both trips had insurance purchased on them). American told me they could refund because it was non-refundable. I told them I bought insurance for it. They did not care and told me I was responsible for getting to the airport and if I didn't get to Houston it wasn't their issue. I had flown American Airlines for nearly 20 years and will NEVER fly them again. Their customer service is horrific and their lack of logic is truly amazing.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased a ticket back in December 2017 for a flight that was supposed to take place in February 2018. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to cancel my ticket knowing I would be the one at a loss, but at least I could salvage a little money that I had paid towards future travel. Side note, I tried several times throughout the year to use AA, but their flights are just so expensive. Finally, last week, my boyfriend and I found some good fares for a trip we plan on taking to see my family, hoping to use little of what I had from my cancelled flight, knowing it would involve some sort of re-booking fee. When we called customer service - as in 2019, major air company, this is the only way to re-use a previous ticket - we were told my ticket expired in December 2018 and there was simply nothing that could be done.

Let me tell you, I take responsibility for my own faults, but if you ever cancelled a flight, THERE IS NO INFORMATION PROVIDED on how to re-book it or its validity. I thought it was one year from the day I cancelled it. Turns out it was from the day it was purchased, but this was not provided to me at time of cancellation, nor over the phone, nor in the cancellation email. Right now, after several exchanges, they are refusing to try to help in any way. I am not asking for much, my goal here is for them to recognize the lack of information they give out, and how difficult they make it for customers to find the information. Extremely disheartening. They must be doing not so good if they hanging on to every penny! Stay away from AA. And they used to be my favorites. :(

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Our daughter was flying back home and the flight kept being delayed. She sat at the airport asking if the flight was going to be canceled. They said NO. After 6 hour wait, it got canceled and Jaccie (AA employee) left! Our daughter left the security area and when she got to the counter, he told her that they would not give her a voucher. AA wanted her to rent a car and drive to another airport. She is not old enough to rent a car. Weather was fine in Phoenix and in California. They still said it was weather related and no voucher for a hotel. We had to book her a hotel and switched her to United. AA should not be allowed to do business like this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We booked a business class flight with AA last April for a flight to Miami. The flight departs in two weeks, We usually fly Virgin but decided to give AA a try. I frequently check my booking to see if upgrades to First are available and was astounded to see that our booked seat numbers had disappeared from the booking. We had 3a and 4a booked since April 2018 when we first booked and these were booked because they had good reviews. These were now gone, I contacted AA and was told the Equipment had changed? This is totally untrue - the plane is a 777-300 which they use daily on the LHR-MIA Route.

The attitude was, "Sorry but I cannot do anything." There was no explanation as to why the seats were allocated to another pax and we are left now with a take it or leave it situation. I have my own theory as to what has happened and I understand that BA block out seats for high tier pax and frequent flyers but the seats I chose back in April were open for booking. Furthermore I called on Feb 7th and was told the equipment change happened on the 6th. This very frustrating but lesson learned. If flying to USA stick to Virgin. AA sucks.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I’ve been an AA frequent flyer since the early ‘80’s - in recent years have switched to JetBlue - mostly because of free WiFi (I work on flights) and comfortable seats with good legroom. This past trip MCO-PHX-SNA and back to MCO - had such a witch in PHX as the gate attendant - I believe her name was Maria - on both legs of my flight - she made the entire experience negative and unpleasant. Flight out of PHX to SNA after many delays out of MCO by American - thus missed connections - she would not assign me a seat until 3 minutes before boarding. I said that I had paid extra for a decent seat on the prior flight that was missed because of AA issues - could she please help me get something decent on this leg? Her response - “the flight is full, you will get what you get.” What do I end up with - last row, middle seat, next to newborn infant (the baby turned out to be perfect) - thank you Maria (not).

So here we are again in PHX going back to FL - about to board - All of a sudden I couldn’t get my mobile boarding pass on the phone and we were just about to board. So I go to her and ask for a boarding pass. She is not busy - not doing anything - and says... “Someone will be with you in a minute...” and then just stands there. What??! You’re not doing anything and you can’t help me? I roll my eyes and then somehow she finds time to print out the pass. Then my turn to board the plane and says I have to consolidate my bags - ie - my TINY little purse has to go in the backpack - OMG really? Just to be a ** control freak “because she can”. I was grumbling down the gangway and another couple had a similar BAD experience with her. Maria - no last name - you’ve done a good (i.e. bad) job of creating a very unpleasant experience from the start and have reinforced that I will not be flying American anytime soon if I can help it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I made a reservation for my daughter who is in college, so she can fly back home to go see a specialist. Unfortunately I made a reservation without knowing that she will have an exam on the day of travel. I called the airline to try and reschedule her flight for another day, but I was turned down. I explained the situation to them about her being a student and she has to be seen by a doctor because my insurance is not accepted in the state that she is in. I was told that, "Unfortunately we cannot change, refund or give you credit towards any future travel on American Airlines." They completely refused to help me in any kind of way whatsoever.

The person who I was speaking with basically said, "Consider your ticket as a donation to American Airlines." I told her, "I am not asking you to change the ticket free of charge. I know that there's a difference that would have to pay", but again I was turned down. American Airlines by far is the worst airline that you can fly and deal with. They don't care about anything other than themselves and the money that is going into their pockets. Very disappointed with how they handled this situation. I WAS TOLD, "WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DAUGHTER AND HER HEALTH! GO BUY ANOTHER TICKET!" Never again would I ever book a flight with this ridiculous airline. Think before you book this airline!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

If you buy a cheap tickets through American Airlines - in my case I purchased a Round trip ticket to Boston Massachusetts (I know Boston Sucks). It was snowing of course and 3 degrees and the flight out had a few seats available, of course flying back to Florida where it’s 75 degrees, American Airlines Bumped 12 people from the flight back to Florida and (all of us purchased cheap tickets) because 12 other people were willing to pay a higher price for those 12 seats. American Airlines is rated as the 6th worst airlines to do business with. 6th. Stop and think before you purchase any tickets through this airlines. All the employees would hide because everyone was so angry. American Airlines left everyone stranded at the airport. American Airlines screwed up everything and then left everyone hanging at the airports and one of the customers was a paraplegic. Great Job American Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Waiting for my friend to arrive. He was flying from Jackson Hole to Miami, via Dallas. First, the plane is over fueled, so they keep passengers on plane and at gate for 3 hours while fuel is dumped. Then the passengers discover that the flight is cancelled! Why? Cause union rules prohibit crew from working longer hours. Knowing how long it would take to dump the fuel, why were passengers kept on the plane? Knowing their crews would exceed work times, what else could've been done?

Passengers had to spend an extra night in Jackson Hole, AA did pay for a hotel, whoopdedoo. My friend was a pass customer so he got nothing. In the end he rebooked on Delta to be guaranteed a seat and a trip home. American Air has the most flight delays, and worst service of any US airline. I stopped flying them long ago, and now my friend will too, despite paying a nominal fee as a courtesy passenger. Not worth the grief. AA flight attendants are the nastiest and rudest as well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The employees were rude and we sat at the gate for a 1/2 hour when we arrived to our destination. No one updated us and we missed our connection by 10 minutes. ALL the employees were horrible. They put us up in an absolute dump for a hotel after we missed our connection. I will NEVER fly American again. EVER.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This experience was based on my first time using American Airlines. I used this company to fly back from Tampa International to Newark with a connecting flight in Charlotte on 1/28/2018. I paid for baggage $30 and to have both my partner and I sitting together $25 in advance. We arrived 2 hours early and after making it through the TSA checkpoint which was about 45 minutes at TPA, I received an alert on my phone stating that the flight was pushed back an hour and a half and that we would miss our connecting flight. I looked around and found an AA employee who I tried to approach at gate F81 with other customers and were turned away with a blatant "Sorry can't help you". There were elderly and disabled people looking for answers and we were all told "You need to go back to the main gate and reschedule your connecting flights" and the employee proceeded to walk away from the upset group.

We made our way back to the main terminal only to wait in line for about an hour and 15 minutes to speak with a representative that casually asked if I wanted to wait another day for my flight in which my response was "Will you compensate me for the day?" and he quickly found another connecting flight in Charlotte. However, I paid for us to sit together and I asked for this to be done on the new flight and was told I would need to reconcile this in Charlotte. After the new flight was arranged, we had to wait again in TSA's line for another 40 minutes to just wait for 2 hours for this delayed flight.

Once arriving to Charlotte, I went over to the customer service line with about another 20 customers in line looking for answers and was told that If my partner and I wanted to sit together it would cost me $32...which was absolutely incredible considering that my travel day is now approaching 11 hours instead of a 4 hour day. I advised the AA associate that I already paid for seating and she said that it was automatically refunded (which has not been the case yet) and that unless I paid the 32 dollars, we would have to sit apart from each other.

Bottom line: Tampa International AA staff - Rude and unprofessional. Flight 2001 1/28/2018 Rude and uncaring. AA staff at Charlotte Rude and uncaring. AA flight 2068 was fine. I have always relied on Delta and JetBlue - If you're looking for a courteous company with customer oriented staff - please choose one of the two that I have mentioned. American Airlines treated us like we owed them something and I will never ever fly them again. Hope this helps.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information

www.aa.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.