American Airlines
3.15/5
Based on 2,147 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

American Airlines Reviews

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

American Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

On July 19, 2019 my husband and I were arriving from our trip to Peru. When we left to Peru we stopped at the Free Duty store and bought a Shiseido Day facial cream. (I have extensive skin cancer and I only can use certain facial creams. I forgot my facial cream at home by accident.) When we arrived to Peru we discovered that it was Shiseido Night cream instead. We packed cream and kept receipt to returned it or exchanged it for right product. When we arrived to JFK airport we couldn’t return the product because the only way to the free duty stores it’s from departure entrance. I spoke to the airline personnel on arrival and look for help with airport staff and nobody was willing to help.

Going through the departure check in counter asking for help, I met Nathalie **. She was the most kind and professional customer service person that took the time to listen to my problem and reach out for help to guide me and able to resolve this issue. Some other lady from airport came and gave me a number to call. I was able to exchanged my cream after contacted the number given. I want to thank Ms Nathalie ** from AA for her kindness and willingness to help a customer. She’s one of a kind. Thank you so very much!!!

Mabel

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

We had made an error when booking our flight. Unfortunately we were past the 24 hours free change policy. However, when I called and explained the situation, customer service was able to walk me through requesting an exception through their website. I received an email back within the timeframe given. They approved my request but what meant more was that the email was personal and not a scripted email. From beginning to end all employees were extremely understanding and sympathetic. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My flight this morning was late to take off from Boston due to unexpected snow... Because of this I was worried I wasn’t going to make my connecting flight to Sarasota so I had asked a traveling flight attendant a quick question about it & I was beyond amazed by the response... Cynthia ** for AA airlines went above & beyond helping me out! She walked me thru Washington terminal & even gave up her seat because it was closer so I could make my flight (I didn’t) but it was her kindness & thoughtfulness that made the whole process not as stressful... Thank you Cynthia & Lisa... Because of your kind act I will always look to fly American Airlines first going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have kept my American Airlines AAAdvantage miles active for over a decade. Over the past year they added a button to their system and somehow they deleted or lost my award miles transactions. The transactions do not matter to me, however they keep my larger balance active. Also when they updated their database, they changed my email address to a very old email address. As such since they mailed their messages to a non-existent email and lost my transactions, they cancelled my miles. Their calling system voice recognition system was also completely broken when I called. The calls continued for many days and each department shuffled me to another department and took no action on the root cause of the problem. I do not have time to call them a 9th time to fix their issue and reinstate my paltry number of 8000 miles.

They seriously need to merge their Customer Service systems from at least 5 separate call centers to 1, have a working escalation system to solve problems and address customers' needs without alienating them. My brother happened to build their original system which worked great back many years ago and I am annoyed that now AAAdvantage no longer functions. The call center reps tried hard actually, but whoever is giving them instructions on what to fix and separating out their responsibilities has created a broken customer support system which I never want to deal with again.

They took off their eshopping segment during Black Friday in 2019 on the business shopping day of the year. On the bright side they fixed the email issue (after it had its impact) and repaired the broken voice recognition system, however the primary issue of restoring the 8000 miles which were mistakenly removed was not resolved and they kept making up issues to cover themselves instead of seriously working to fix the problem. They blamed multiple users when there is only one user on my account or computer. Each department shifted the blame to another Customer Service Department over and over. They kept stating they could do nothing and there was no reasonable escalation method to follow.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My company booked a flight from Tuscon to Portland on American Airlines and when I got to the airport to my surprise it cost me $30 just to check a bag, then being 10 lbs over it cost me another $100, or I was asked if I wanted to remove10 lbs, I supposed I could of thrown my dirty clothes away, but I figured it would of cost me more to replace those clothes. Those days of free checked bags are gone. Most airlines allow a free checked bag, but not American.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

This was not a good experience. I purchased a flight that left later than I had intended (the mobile app was difficult to use and I assumed I'd be able to resolve the issue by speaking with a person), and tried to change it to the correct one at the airport (to a flight departing from the same gate, slightly earlier which was not at full capacity). I explained my situation to the desk agent and later to a CSR on AA's hotline, and was told that they couldn't help change the flight but I was free to buy a ticket for $210 for the earlier flight if I wanted.

What? How does that seem reasonable at all? I understand that flights fill up, but if there are still seats available (AA would be happy to sell me one) I don't understand what is to be gained by being unhelpful as a policy. I'll obviously wait the two hours at the airport before giving AA another cent, and never fly with American again - I guess service just isn't what it used to be. Thanks for nothing, AA.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Delayed nearly 6 hours. The flight before ours got delayed 20 hours. Wifi is way, WAY slower than Jetblue, getting about <1 mbps and jetblue got 20+ mbps. The plane does not allow Netflix, Youtube, and Hulu on wifi, but we got lucky and got a newer plane, it has wall outlets, usb ports and all the bells and whistles. They have screens with games and live tv. I probably wont fly with them ever again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I booked thru American Air website 3 flights for my wife and I over $2300 in value including a short leg valued at less than $300 from Madrid to Marrakesh on Iberia Air. All done on AA website. AA refuses to allow me to use the $200 in e-vouchers because it is a shared booking with Iberia, even though it was all booked on their site and over $1900 of the flights are on AA planes. Then I asked to extend vouchers 1 year so I will not lose the $200 and the answer was NO!!! Reason- it is their policy! Told them I was not satisfied with their answer and was told "It's our policy".

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information