1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

2809 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

When sending my elderly mother to visit ill sister, she had to be assisted, at LGB before we even approached counter, a middle age ** man, suit and all, Customer service, by the name of R. ** or something type of short last name, as if he wanted to be the least identified, screamed from his counter and pointed us to the automated check in kiosk. I stated we need to talk to a live assistance 'cause I needed a courtesy pass to assist my mother in getting her into the gate. This is a small airport, but seems like nobody seems to know what they are doing, and the attitude, ZERO customer service. Anyway, this guy gives me a courtesy boarding pass, and at the TSA clearance, I get declined because he had entered the wrong airport code, mind you, we have been 1 hour in line to get there.

I am sent to see him again and report anomaly, while my elderly mother stays in there on a side. He was furious and stated this takes him from his job, and had to walk with me to the TSA checking point to tell them, "they are lazy and incompetent", and another TSA pointed that maybe it was a new agent, and should have let me thru. And so they did. But this guy **, not only had made a mistake, done a very poor job, but had the biggest attitude. Cranky, foul mouth and incompetent. He represent sort of the old on way out, and someone who has grown sour and pissed off at job, and company and people. Should definitely retire!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I book my flight two months in advance and all of a sudden my flight is canceled. This is not right and unfair. I waited over four hours at the airport. I paid 780 for my flight and now my whole Friday was wasted sitting at the airport. Instead of sitting on the beach I'm in the airport with other angry customer that most was on business trips. This is just wrong. I hope you can get more plans so this won't happen again. I would love to used American Airlines but after this just don't know. I hope triple as can share this post to other paying, traveling customer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 11, 2018

The cabin smelled like air freshener, giving me a migraine headache. Also my eyes were bloodshot after the 3 hour flight. The next morning there was a yellow discharge from my eyes. There were two children coughing with a croup like cough as well. Needless to say, I am now sick with this upper respiratory infection. The air change on your flights is insufficient. Maybe you could provide surgical masks for your passengers instead of pretzels.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I would be remiss if I didn't explain my recent experience about my flight to Chicago on March 28, 2018. Here's what happened: I left Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on flight AA 2296 to connect in Chicago to AA 5498 at 11:38 AM. After arriving in Chicago, (4:50 PM) I re-checked my bag and your agent told me to hurry to the gate for Dayton. When I arrived at the gate a new departure gate was posted. At that second gate, the flight was going to be a hour late showing new departure at 7:20 PM. That was fine since I was out of breath getting there in haste on the tram to Terminal 3. At approximately 7:30 PM a long line formed and I was told the flight to Dayton was canceled. So I stood in line to try and get on another flight to Dayton.

Two agents were working the gate desk trying to help passengers. I stood in line on my feet until 9:40 PM to finally get to speak with the agents at the desk. They told me no other flights to Dayton were available. Because of a “weather cancel”, no food vouchers are given and no hotels are provided overnight. I now had no luggage, very little money and my legs and feet were hurting from standing in line so long. I requested to speak with a supervisor and then sat down. After another 30 minutes the AA supervisor came to see me. I believe her name was Karen **.

I explained that I had not eaten on the four hour flight as no food was provided. I told Karen I had little money and could not get a hotel at the airport. Even if I did stay overnight I did not have my luggage. She said that the airline did not provide food vouchers, taxi transportation, car rentals or train fare. You could only get on a flight in the morning. I requested that Karen issue a refund of the unused portion of my ticket so I could have money for a hotel but she said that I had to apply for that online.

I decided to try and retrieve my luggage and call someone to come pick me up. Karen called the Baggage Claim and said to go to Claim # 6 and I could retrieve it there. I went to baggage claim at 10:10 PM. I waited another 40 minutes and was told that they could not find my luggage. I asked the baggage claim agent to send my luggage on to my final destination in Cincinnati which they did. I left the airport at 11:00 PM with just what I was wearing in Mexico. To sum up the problems that I experienced that you should be aware of: I'm 80 years old and unable to stand for the hours that I was subjected to. It was a very stressful day and evening for me. Your AA email note to me said “choose a new flight” without any apology. No food or travel vouchers were provided which stranded me at the airport. I understand weather canceling a flight however having to wait until the next morning without food, lodging or my luggage seems very unfair.

When you announce or have a flight cancellation, it would have been nice for additional agents to help work the long line to avoid the unknown resolution just standing there. I spent $45 for a taxi and another $135 for a hotel with the assistance of a relative for accommodations plus a new airfare to Cincinnati on Southwest. I'm retired on a fixed income. These additional expenses are very costly for me. Perhaps your airline can make some changes so that other passengers won't have to experience what I went through. I hope so. If you need to contact me I can be reached by email at **.

Original review: April 10, 2018

American Airlines are worse than low-cost European carriers! All I can say is avoid! We had more than 3 hr delay. The airline didn't even bother to prevent us, they didn't give us any compensation, food vouchers or miles... Their planes are old, attendants are lazy and rude and I have no idea how they survive!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: April 9, 2018

We had scheduled our foster daughter to have open heart surgery and booked a flight for my mom so she could come and stay with our other kids so both my husband and I could be at the hospital. The hospital then called and had to reschedule her procedure, meaning we had to reschedule my mom's flight. I explained the situation and they waived the $200 fee for not having the insurance. So thankful!

Original review: April 8, 2018

American Airlines flight 2625 today. The gate agent for unknown reasons selected myself and three others to have our carry on checked or we could not board. Our carry on were and are the same size as other passengers boarding. Group 5 my group boarded and many of the overhead bins were open. How, why, can a gate agent choose who must check bags, this is not right.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I can't describe how frustrated I have been this week with American Airlines. I have never been through Houston or Dallas and not had an issue. If you don't get your luggage from Houston or Dallas they won't just send it on to your final destination, as all other carriers will. We were told at the desk when our flight was canceled, our luggage would be sent to Alex. NOT! My first call Saturday morning was answered by a very rude lady. I was told I would have to call and check, or check online, until I saw confirmation where they had loaded my bag.

I finally called the baggage dept. in Alex. I was told it showed to be on the next flight, but I would have to call back after five. Guess why after 5? They closed!!! I called and called and got no answer, until about 5:30 when I started getting a busy signal. At this time I have gotten no answer or confirmation online saying where my bag is. DO NOT FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES!!! Not through Houston or especially DALLAS. I have never flown through Dallas on American without a problem. I have never received such poor service from anyone like this? They don't care if I ever fly with them again, I know!

They canceled our flight on a Friday afternoon when everyone is trying to get home. First telling us the plane was broken, then after we boarded another plane they said it was canceled due to weather. It was not even raining in Dallas or Alex. The biggest issue is with their people. It is very obvious when you speak with them, that they don't care if you are pleased or not!!! Telling me to call back, instead of offering to alert me. Then refusing to answer the phone till they closed.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Congress recently passed a law regarding involuntary bumping. So to avoid paying the compensation American Airlines would have to pay for bumping someone. They have taken their game to a new level. I recently had a return flight schedule from LIR (Costa Rica) to TPA (Tampa Florida). 4 hours prior to my flight I got an email reminder about my pending flight on Fri 03/30/18. I attempted to check in about 1/2 hour after receiving this email. For some reason I couldn't check in online. I decided to wait until I got to the airport in 30 minutes to check in. When I got to airport and attempted to check myself it I got 2 printouts indicating a problem. 1st printout was indicating that I was trying to check in too early i.e. more than 24 hrs early. 2nd printout indicated that my reservation was actually the next day.

AA was refusing to give me a boarding pass until I show them a copy of my flight information printed from my AA account. After multiple calls to AA customer relations (what a joke) asking for an explanation what happened. Here's what they told me. I made a mistake and came to the airport a day early. I must have accidentally cancelled and reschedule my reservation. My flight was cancel due to maintenance issues and they had to reschedule me on another flight. The only problem with that is the flight wasn't cancelled - it was delayed. I know this because I flew on this "cancelled" flight from LIR to MIA.

Basically AA bumped me and didn't ever have the guts to tell me. If my case was involuntary bumping then AA would have to give me compensation. Instead they make up a bunch of lies about why they had to reschedule my flight. I have left VMs for Kimberly Cisek (Director of Customer Relation) and Sean Bentel (VP of Customer Relation). I also email both. Still waiting to hear from someone. I also had a damage bag - broken wheel. I was told I had to give the bag to AA baggage claim to ship to Texas for repair/replacement. Customer Relation told me I had to fill out a Questionnaire which states to hang onto your damage baggage.

I also need to mention that I believe I was selected to be "bumped" or as AA now calls it rescheduled due to maintenance issues because I was flying on points. Multiple other people on my flight did not have the issues with rescheduling that I did but they weren't flying on points like me. I currently have 3 Citi Credit Cards that gives me AA points. Seeing how AA treats their customers that utilize their points - I will be cancelling my 3 Citi Credit Cards. I have also filed a complaint with Citi and the Department of Transportation about this situation.

Original review: April 3, 2018

American Airlines is refusing to repair/reimburse for the damage done to one piece of my luggage set when traveling FIRST CLASS on February 3rd and returning February 10th. When we landed, we asked a worker near the luggage how to file a complaint about damage to my luggage and after being sent to two additional people was told by one person that I could file a complaint online and another worker that I had to file the complaint with the Mexico airport because it had to have happened there. Yes, I did return on February 10th and after a 12 hour flight which included a layover, I was completely exhausted and tired and chose the option to report damage via email to American Airlines. The caring of my elderly mother with Dementia does not always allow me the luxury to sit and right/complete emails, forms to businesses that have destroyed my personal property (luggage) on their time.

My paperwork was faxed initially on the 17th and when filing it away on the 18th I realized that the fax did not go through. IF you look at my fax, you will see that the fax was re-faxed on February 18th (late that night) and was received by American on February 19th (which means it was received a day later than your "required timeframe).

What I don't understand is how a multi-million dollar business like American Airlines does not want to reimburse a customer for their NEW luggage that was clearly damaged by their employees. My fax was received "literally" a day later than your "required timeframe." Another, pivotal point that must be shared is the fact that a response from American Airlines was received 7 days shy from a month and I am suppose to accept this as respectable response time yet they cannot accept my response hours after their deadline to respond. It seems as if American Airlines was trying to decide to do the right thing or find a reason to justify doing the wrong thing. As a frequent flyer of American and a consumer advocate I am requesting again, that American Airlines reconsider the response received and repair or reimburse me for damage to my new luggage piece.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I left an item on the plane. Not valuable or irreplaceable but I took the time to go back to the gate to see if by chance it was turned in. There was at least one other person waiting for assistance and I truly think the gate agent was hiding behind the wall between the counter and window. I finally asked an airport employee (not AA affiliated) and the hiding employee spoke up from a place I could not see, saying I would need to go to baggage claim. For a legal pad?? She did not attempt to help but only hide. I could not leave the gate area and go back through security to make my next flight. Why does everyone who works for this airline seem so miserable? It’s not that way with the one I prefer to fly with.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My wife and I flew AA to Cancun for our annual visit to our time-share. My wife booked the flights 8 months ago and was unable at the time to book adjacent seats anywhere in the plane for any of the three round-trip segments. I thought that was odd as we've never had that problem with any other airline since we started travelling there annually over the last three years. This was the first time however for AA. By coincidence we found other passengers who AA had deliberately separated (they'll place you together if you pay them an 'extra fee'. This wasn't an upgrade to business class. We were in the very last row in coach next to the lavatory. Upon talking with the passengers around us we found that virtually everyone around us had the same problem (unable to get adjacent seating without an 'extra fee').

I can appreciate AA saving money by not painting their planes (extra weight), but this means of increasing their profits is unacceptable. I'm retired now, but I used to fly for my job every week. I was AAdvantage gold. From now on if, (and that's a big IF) I fly AA my wife will make independently purchased reservations so we can sit together without being surreptitiously gouged by a greedy airline.

Original review: March 30, 2018

American airline flight to St. Thomas July 6 coming back July 17 - We bought non stop tickets. We purchased them 8 months in advance. Then we were told they are doing away with nonstops. Why? I do not know the flight was full. They did this and made us three hours later, we are renting a Catamaran and the three hours late basically kills a day for us. American did absolutely nothing to accommodate us and they even moved the flight around for more times. They did not at all try to accommodate us what to give us any compensation. It’s a bait and switch technique. Offer a nonstop flight up for a cheap price. Customers purchase it and then it switched with stop which we would’ve not of done now at this late stage.

We cannot book without incurring a greater expense when at the time had we not book through American we could’ve got comp all flights. In speaking to every American representative they’re all brainwashed, their business they do not care about customer service. We purchased this flight eight months in advance and when we book tickets it was full. I’m sure every other person on that flight would be complaining, the way they grab my money for the baggage that was supposed to pay for the fuel that has come down in price is ridiculous. Someone’s got a put an end to American doing whatever they want.

I have flown four times in the last five months on American and every flight was changed or the way I feel American should give us some sort of compensation for the non-nonstop flights or they should give us free baggage at the very least and some type of gift card for our inconvenience. American is a huge monster company and what they are doing for the millions of people are flying them are actually stealing. We bought nonstop tickets. Case closed. It’s a bait and switch that American has been famous for. Him and the windows I think about it and that has got to change.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Trip cancel. American Airlines will not get my business as a result of the poor service and I have flown them for over 30 years. I will not jump through hoops again and American Airlines will be receiving a letter expressing my total dissatisfaction with their service

Original review: March 22, 2018

I had just flown another Atlanta based airline and had a great experience from beginning to end. AA had big shoes to fill and failed in just about every aspect. After flying back into country on the previous airline where they graciously change my families flight to avoid a long layover in another city, thus putting us on a direct flight to our final destination I was blown away. I then contacted AA to pay for an upgrade to an earlier flight for another destination.

Upon arrival to MSP check in I was informed I was still on standby with an overbooked flight. How do you overbook a flight? I eventually made it on the flight to a connecting city where I was then informed I was put on standby for the connecting flight. Another overbooked plane! Strange? This is where the frustration really begins because I was never informed I would not have a seat in my connecting flight so I just wasted $75! In the meantime I witnessed 3 AA crew board the plane to take seats. Again why??? Seems a company would want to make sure all their paying customers were taken care of. I guess not! So I am sitting in an expensive Chicago airport waiting for my original flight. Thanks for nothing AA!

Original review: March 22, 2018

Do not fly the American Airlines. They will insult you, take your carry-on without notifying you. They will be not on time and they will not feed during 15 hours of flying. The problem began the night before the flight when I tried for 3 hours to check in, every time getting the error message. At last I got the message that there were too many of us trying to check-in and I have to do it in the airport. As I was boarding the plane in LA my carry-on was taken without any explanations although it was plenty space in the bins as I found in the plane. When I tried to inquire in the plane before departure where I can receive my luggage because I had money, medication and warm clothing there the flight attendants could not tell me.

At last the person in the front told me that it would be in the checked luggage and I would receive it only in Toronto. When I tried to object she told me that I could ask for it in Las Vegas where our plane stopped before we arrived to Washington to change planes to Toronto. When we were departing from the plane I asked the pilot to assist me explaining the reasons but he told that he could not help me and recommend me to address it to the customer service. When I addressed them they told me that I could go downstairs to take me luggage but then I had to go through the customs and would not be able to board the plane and recommended to talk to the manager. Only 9 passengers were continuing to fly to Washington. How difficult would be to take my carry-on before they put other passengers’ luggage?

I told the manager that I need my medication and she threatened me to take off the flight. I told her that it would be rather strange, not only my carry-on was taken without any reason or explanation that I would have it only in Toronto so I could take out what I needed but she threatened me to take me off the flight because I need the things from the luggage. I repeated my attempt to have my carry-on in Washington where my flight was postponed from 10.00 p.m. till 11.50 p.m. and where again I was refused. There was snowing at that time in Washington and I was dressed in the clothing for LA weather when I boarded the plane. I had in carry-on the warm pants, pullover and warm jackets in which I was intended to change. I was flying from 11.15 a.m. with 2 stops. I was not fed on either flight although we left the plane only at 2.20 a.m. in Toronto instead of 11.47p.m.

By that time all the public transport was stopped working. I was flying for more than 15 hours. I bought some food in Washington but I could not buy hot drink because everything was closed at night at Washington airport. I could not even leave the gate because the AA clerk claimed that although the flight was delayed till 11.50 p.m. but it could leave any minute. I was given the blanket only before we were landing the plane. We were waiting in the bus for quite a while with the open doors with the temperature below 00C with snow on the ground. Then we were waiting for additional one hour on the plane when pilot explained that somebody’s luggage was missing although I saw that they were washing the wings. Did not they have 2 hours of delay to do it? We waited additional 20 minutes in the plane after we arrived for the loader although there were no planes arriving.

I never even heard that carry-on could be taken from you that’s why it is called the carry-on. My carry-on was not among other carry-ons standing next to the plane, it was in the luggage claim area. I flew in Delta on my way to LA. It was cheaper. Nobody’s carry-on was taken. I had only one stop in Washington. We were fed on the flight, there was no delay.When I typed the complaint on AA website I found that I could only type very limited message.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My husband had book tickets to Puerto Rico back in March 2017. At that time I was around 4 months pregnant with our first child and the thought of the zika virus didn't even come across until we went for a doctor's visit before the trip was planned and was advised by the doctor not to go to Puerto Rico. We then did some more research and saw that the CDC had a red alert for Puerto Rico and they too advised pregnant mothers not to travel to Puerto Rico. Our tickets were non-refundable, but we reached out to American Airlines ahead of our flight dates with a doctor's note and information from the CDC website. First off, you cannot reach customer relations by phone only through email. Even with all the information and doctor's note, our request for a refund was denied. We understood, since the tickets were non-refundable, so we asked to be able to use them towards a different flight.

Some time had passed and we didn't receive an email back so we called and finally my husband spoke to an employee that looked into our situation and said that we would be able to apply a portion of each ticket towards a different flight. Being as this was our first pregnancy we asked how long we had to use the tickets. So, we had paid one thousand for our original flights and now had a credit of $500 to apply towards other flights with an expiration date of June 2018. Sadly, our daughter is now 6 months old and we were so excited to book a first family trip and a mini vacation from being first time parents, we called in on March 16, 2018 to look for flights and was told that our tickets had EXPIRED AS OF MARCH 3, 2018! Not only was there NOTHING the representative could do for us, we were told that we had to email customer relations again for any type of assistance.

The awful part of it all was the last conversation with the representative that told us we had until June 2018 was on the phone so we only got her name, not thinking that she was going to mislead us on the dates and this situation would come about. We never got a trip and just the ring around this whole time. So disappointed that American Airlines is a major airlines and they have such horrible customer relations.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We arrived 2 hours ahead for our flight. Flight delayed 4 hours. Arrived in Phoenix. Missed connecting flight, no solution. No information. Everyone we talked to either misdirected us to the wrong line or disappeared. Then we were told they couldn’t just make a plane appear. 3 of us were put on different flights. 3 put on same connecting flight the night after.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Customer service told me can't change my ticket fee. Customer service wants to charge me 200 dollars to change it to Friday May 5th 803 a.m. My travel agent scheduled me without telling me right away I was suppose to fly out next day. This is why I FLY SOUTHWEST. NEVER CHARGE FEES. NEVER BAG FEES. THE ONLY REASON I FLEW AMERICAN IS BECAUSE OF DIRECT FLIGHTS. Guess what? Never ever again will I use AA. Terrible company. Just like United killing a dog in the overhead compartment.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Incident on Flight 2325 from Miami to LaGuardia - January 23, 2018. I am taking the time to write about a disturbing incident that happened after boarding the above-referenced flight, which has left me shaken and in disbelief. For decades I have been a loyal American Airlines customer and frequent flyer. I have never before filed a complaint with AA or any airline. On several occasions, I have complimented outstanding staff in your U.S. Virgin Islands operations. Sadly, I am now constrained to file my first complaint ever against an airline employee, in this case one who publicly humiliated me, and caused me to miss my flight, without justification or cause.

As those of us who fly frequently are well aware, flying has changed in recent years, and being in the air, to paraphrase a former AA slogan, is not always something special. There are undoubtedly aggressive customers who make flying difficult. Occasionally, one encounters a rude and hostile flight attendant who makes the situation equally unbearable. This complaint involves the latter. The Facts. We began boarding at approximately 7 pm. It was the usual boarding logjam packed and crammed from gateway to seat. The plane was a 737-800. I was seated in row 8D at the divider between the first class section and the coach section. I had put my carry-on in the overhead compartment above my seat.

I realized I had forgotten some work in the carry-on which I needed to review during the flight. The plane was rapidly filling up, but the overhead compartments were still open. I was about to pull my carry-on out of the bin to retrieve the needed item. At that point, one of your flight attendants positioned herself slightly behind me, blocking the pathway between the first and coach sections. She supported herself by holding onto the edges of the open overhead compartment on the port and starboard sides of the aisle simultaneously.

I cannot say whether this is a recommended posture for any flight attendant during boarding, but we have all seen it before, and it is certainly not helpful to the overall boarding process. In any event, I politely asked the flight attendant to please move her hand so that I could pull the carry-on out of the bin without injuring her. She didn’t budge or react in any way. She continued to hold on to the edges of both compartments, blocking the aisle as passengers were trying to get by.

The flight attendant in question is a young, tall, lady. She declined to give me her name or employee number, but since this incident was brought to the attention of the pilot, it should not be difficult for AA to identify her. At that point, wanting to get back into my seat, I gently tapped her hand with my index and forefinger, to get her attention. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have been tapped in a similar manner (on the shoulder, arm, or hand) by flight attendants.

The flight attendants reaction was shocking. She yelled loudly, “Sir, you are violating me!” The entire forward portion of the section stopped and looked at us. I replied that her response was unnecessary and embarrassing. As she locked onto my eyes with an enraged glare, it was clear to me that she was about to erupt. Wanting to avoid further escalation and embarrassment, I said that perhaps we should speak with the pilot.

We went to the pilot where she proceeded to tell him that I had hit or struck her. She blatantly lied. With time, I would have brought occupants of the nearby seats to expose her lie, but there was neither the time nor the opportunity to do so. The captain and I stepped outside the plane where he undoubtedly took measure of me as he is trained to do (i.e., was I a crank or hostile and aggressive – he undoubtedly concluded I was not any of those things) and introduced himself. He then apologized and asked me if I could keep a “low profile” for the flight. I responded that I would, but that I was stunned by the flight attendant’s overreaction and lies.

The captain then spoke to the flight attendant in question. The situation got worse. Apparently, she threatened to walk off the plane. The captain then returned to me, upset with her, and asked me if I would take another plane. To avoid further humiliation to myself and inconvenience to the other passengers, I agreed –peaceably, I might add. When I departed the plane, several AA employees, one of whom re-booked me, insisted that I should “do something” – obviously AA’s own employees recognize that something is ‘not right’ with this flight attendant. Indeed, I would not be surprised if there were other complaints against her.

With respect to her screaming accusation that I had “violated” her, with its obvious sexual connotation, although I should not be placed in a position of having to defend myself from such a baseless declaration, I will only say that I am married to a man. The assertion that I violated or touched this young lady in any way that was inappropriate is preposterously slanderous. Unfortunately, in a sardine-like crowded, noisy airplane, some minimal contact is unavoidable. Does AA really wish to encourage an intolerant environment in which, for example, every time a customer is tapped by a flight attendant they yell “I am being violated” and threaten action?

Perhaps in the future the cabin will be staffed by robots and messy interactions between humans can be avoided. Until then, I suspect there will have to be some level of tolerance in interactions between flight attendants and the flying public. While I do not condone passenger incivility or misbehavior, it seems to me that flight attendants should be psychologically evaluated to assure that they are capable of reacting appropriately to the stresses that inevitably arise in tight quarters, and they should be trained to courteously defuse tensions rather than to aggravate them through intemperate overreaction. But, of course, this is merely my opinion.

Conclusion. At a minimum, the flight attendant in question chose to use her position of power to unjustifiably humiliate and inconvenience one of AA’s better customers. More importantly, after some well-known tragic incidents (e.g., the crash of Germanwings Flight 9525), I personally believe that those of us who fly regularly have a duty to say something when we see particularly odd or inappropriate behavior on board, behavior that if left unchecked might potentially be a sign of future danger. Here, I am left to wonder what underlying issues, if any, this flight attendant might have and whether it could affect her performance in an emergency because in this situation she snapped, aggravating an otherwise benign interaction. If I am being completely honest, I felt somewhat relieved to take another flight because, in my opinion, her reaction was so disproportionate and unbalanced that I actually had concern for anyone flying with her.

There is, perhaps, an even larger issue at play here, one that AA can address. Whether I fly in First Class or Coach, I never treat flight attendants with any less courtesy. Unfortunately, the same cannot always be said for flight attendants. There are some flight attendants who, in my opinion, seem to view coach passengers as the enemy. While occasionally I may silently share their view about a particular passenger, I have overheard quite a few derisive remarks about passengers shared between flights attendants. Even a few flight attendants harboring this attitude can cause tensions in the cabin to rise quickly. Passengers can sense it. It seems to me that with proper “mental preparedness training,” basic civility, respect and a smile – which is, of course, how passengers should treat flight attendants — many difficult encounters can be easily defused or avoided.

As an attorney who has represented companies, including in their relations with employees, I understand that AA is a union shop and must rightly follow certain protocols with respect to complaints against its employees. After deep reflection about this event, I respectfully request that this complaint be submitted for formal disciplinary investigation, or other evaluation as may be appropriate. To assure you of my veracity, if the flight attendant in question is willing to submit to an independently administered and verified polygraph test, I would be willing to do the same. At the conclusion of this process, you will find that AA owes me an apology.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My husband and I were traveling First Class as a Christmas treat from Dallas to Charlotte, NC on 12/23/17. Unbeknownst to us, slightly before pushback, a FC flight attendant took my carry on bag that was properly stowed under the seat in front of me, off the plane. Before takeoff I reached for a pen from my carry on bag and the bag was gone. In alarm, I flagged down the Flight Attendant and she said, "Oh? Was that your bag?..." The passenger in 3D had pulled it out from under the seat and gave it to the Flight Attendant, saying she thought it was "unclaimed" baggage. The flight attendant called the terminal (and informed the pilot) and both assured me that the bag, containing high value items as well as 2 distinct forms of ID, would be on the next flight out to Charlotte.

I filed Lost and Found and Delayed Baggage claims in Charlotte, and a Police Report with DFW, but have not seen my bag since I stowed it under the seat in Dallas, Texas. Since there is no protocol for such a situation, I was forced to write to American Airlines President, Robert D. Isom, Jr., in order to try to get my bag returned and the situation resolved. I had no results from either the Delayed Baggage Resolution Office or Lost and Found prior to my writing the letter. Then a Case Manager called me and let me know that she would reimburse me for my loss, as far as possible. They sent me a $100 travel voucher in addition.

The bag alone was worth far more than that! I filed a Passenger Property Questionnaire with my Case Manager, as requested, on January 19, 2018, and since that time American Airlines has stopped all communications with me. I get no replies from either department to phone calls or emails -- even after dialing the extension of the Case Manager. I wrote Mr. Isom and the Customer Relations department again this week in hopes of resolving this issue, since the loss is due to no fault of my own. I do not anticipate a response. I know that I have grounds to sue American Airlines and up to 2 years to do it, but we are new to the Dallas area and I don't know any attorneys or legal watch groups that would be willing to take on such a case.

I find it ironic that American Airlines now offers a "Basic Economy Fare" that excludes the use of the overhead bins for carry on baggage. This is a benefit to small dogs traveling with their owners (recent United Airlines incident) but not an advantage to those forced to stow their bags under the seat in front of them, especially when the bags contain valuables that the airline does not assume any liability for in checked baggage, and recommends that you take with you on the plane. At least, not in my experience. I don't have a Twitter or Facebook account so I don't know how else to go about warning the public.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Our flight from Cleveland Ohio on March 2nd 2018 to New Orleans was cancelled three times due to severe weather (snowstorm). We booked the trip for 6 people and meeting one of our daughters and her husband in N.O. The tickets were purchased with insurance for disaster and emergency purpose. This was our honeymoon vacation with all our children and their significant others.

The flight was cancelled, and I was notified on 3/2/2018 via an automatic call. I was also informed the rescheduled flight would be the following flight to Pittsburg, PA. at 10am. But when I checked online for the flight status, the flight from Pittsburg PA was also cancelled. I tried to call AA’s customer service line but could not get through and I put a returned call request. The call came in around 2am but another auto response to let me know the flight to Pittsburg PA was also cancelled. At this point, I was in a pre-panic mode because we had a pre-scheduled cruise that we needed to board on 3/3/2018. With no flight in sight and waiting for AA to call me back on the status of my next flight out put me on a very anxious state. I had to also cancel our stay in an Airbnb place in N.O.

Finally, around 10:30am on 3/2/18, one AA ticket agent called me and told me that there weren’t any flights available coming out of Cleveland Hopkins. I desperately explained the situation to him that we must leave Cleveland and arrive in NO no later than noon on 3/3/18. I also told him that we were willing to travel to any nearby airports. After being on the phone with him for almost ½ hour, he told me that there wasn’t anything available by AA but suggested that I called Southwest or JetBlue ticket agents for assistance. I did.

Here is the fun part: The Southwest ticket agent managed to find me 6 tickets for my party flying out of Columbus Ohio (2 ½ hours of drive from my location). I ended up paying 3x more per ticket (x6) for the trip and instead of being in N.O., we laid over in Dallas TX overnight. We all drove separately to Columbus Ohio to catch the flight and paid for the long-term parking. And here is the best part: the flight was an AA aircraft!! When we checked in, we found there were many empty seats for “Upgrade”, aka, more money. Suddenly, everything was clear!! We were hosed by AA’s incompetency and its unwillingness to help its customers.

We stayed at Dallas TX airport overnight and arrived our destination in N.O. on 3/3/18. AA could have helped me and my children on the flight without additional costs, but they didn’t. When we returned to Cleveland Ohio, we found our luggages were tempered with, after double-checking the contents, they opened our souvenirs boxes and left them open. The front zipper of one of the suitcases was open and twisted. We flew AA before but never encountered such disrespect.

I reached out to AA for compensation for the difference in my ticket price and they refused. Their business model has based on pricing gouging customers and I do not think they will thrive in the future. I am thoroughly disappointed with their services considering they had the power to reverse their service flaws but chose not to. It is very unfortunate because they have just lost great customers. Asking for compensation: $4,000. Note: AA, if you are monitoring this complaint and willing to make things right, please contact me.

Resolution response: March 19, 2018

Soon after all these delays I was given free 7000 sky miles. I filed a complaint with their customer relations saying I would not use the miles since I would not fly AA again. A refund would have been better. I was immediately contacted by AA. They said they could retract the miles and give me a voucher for $300 to use towards a ticket on AA in the next 12 months. Now, I do not like the fact that the miles and the voucher force me to fly AA again but I do appreciate the gesture. I am probably a drop in the ocean for AA so I was happy to get a response and some form of reimbursement. I have not heard many bad things before and that is why I tried them. Hopefully things will be smoother the next time around.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Multiple, multiple delays!!! First time I chose AA, but never again. Flight delayed many times, then canceled and I was sent to Ohare. I understand this was due to the weather but return trip was even worse and the weather was fine. They said there is no crew for the flight! How is this acceptable? Multiple delays and flight canceled again with me standing in line to rebook. To top it off, I was sent to a Motel 6 (best available according to them haha) for the night! $7 for breakfast, $12 for dinner. Flight boarded and deplaned due to mechanical issues and then canceled. I had to go to Peoria instead of Bloomington or I would have lost another day. Wife had to drive an hour to pick me up. Wasted a whole day and half of work. Staff were not sympathetic or apologetic. I got 7000 miles in return which I will never use. A refund would have been better. NEVER again!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

A group of friends and I booked a roundtrip flight on Jan. 30, 2018 for a flight from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale on June 11, 2018 en route to another flight to Quito, Peru. We were notified today that American changed our itinerary from a 12:00 p.m. (noon) flight to a 7:00 am flight which means sitting around the airport 8 hours. We live 3 1/2 hours from the airport and will need to book a hotel the night prior to our travel date. In addition, the return flight was changed to almost 2 hours earlier. We will most likely not have ample time to go through Customs after our return to the US in order to get on this flight back to Chicago. We are so frustrated with American and will not use this airline again. This is a disgusting bait-and-switch technique and is extremely deplorable customer service. Take my advice and pay more to go with a more reputable airline.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I don't blame American for Winter Storm Quinn. I do blame the airline for its unbelievably cryptic process for changing flights. The airline alleges that I can change my March 7 flight without charge up to March 11. But they only provide a listing of flights for March 7, and very few. I tried to find out why. At the moment, I'm on hold for tech support. Why is this my problem? Why do I have to waste time trying to decipher their incompetence? How come they don't just fix it? The tech support operator just came on the line to say they'd decided not to provide any further information than same-day flights online. She seemed surprised that I might object to that.

I'm now on hold for a supervisor. That's what doing business with American is like. Frankly, at this point I'm pursuing the complaint not in hopes of getting anything changed, but out of a malicious desire to cause some discomfort to the employees of the company that is putting me through this crap. That's what doing business with American does. This is the same airline that couldn't even be bothered to reply when I requested a refund on a flight after my father died. I will never buy a ticket from American again.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My son-in-law and I flew American from St Louis to Dallas direct to Seoul South Korea on 2/11/18 to go to the Winter Olympics. The problem was Dallas going both directions. They did not lose our bags going from Dallas to Seoul, they just let them sit in Dallas. We made the connection with ease both ways. We arrived in Seoul without any bags. We were suppose to go to the Olympics the next two days. Since our bags did not make it we missed the Olympics, no coats, boots, gloves, hats etc. And it was 17 degrees the first day. Then they lost one bag again in Dallas on our return. The ground agents at luggage claim could have cared less, waiting to hear from American on what they plan on doing about our experience.

We stayed at a Marriott in Seoul and they were the opposite in terms of customer service. When they realized our situation they made an all out effort to make sure we enjoyed Seoul, we are waiting to hear what American will do after causing us to miss the opportunity of a lifetime. Will update when we hear from them, I supplied 10 plus pages of documentation per American's request. Obviously American Airline executives don't experience the absolute chaos that exist within the ramp crews in Dallas, how many of their bags marked priority like ours were, sit there while they take off on vacations with their families, Dallas by the way is American Airlines' headquarters.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My friend and I were flying back home to GA. I paid extra to get priority boarding for the both of us. When our tickets printed I notice I was in group 4. Well to me that doesn't seem like priority since you have 1st class and 3 groups ahead of me. When we dropped off our bags to a AA agent, she said a lot of customers question that and I would have to talk with the customer assistance deck. Super friendly, good and made sense to me since she was just collecting the bags.

As I'm walking in that direction another agent stops me before I could even make it to the counter, asking if I needed help. So when I asked my question about paying extra for the priority boarding, she stated we were first. She talked to me as if I should know all this information because EVERYONE knew that group 4 is first. When I asked how that was first if I have 4 groups ahead of me, she stated, "No. There are only 3 groups," and I was still first. She was then told me she didn't understand why I didn't understand. When I questioned her tone and her extra remarks of putting me down. She stated that because she felt I was being rude to her because I was upset about not understanding, that it gives her the right to be rude to me.

I was extremely SHOCKED!! That this was happening so I took a picture of her name badge so I wouldn't forget who she was. She immediately went into a rage, yelling at me that I could not take a picture of her and to give her my phone and Boarding pass now. I refused and explained I took a picture of her name badge and was going to talk with someone else... She chased after me and tried to stop me, grabbing our boarding pass and ID.

Again I'm SHOCKED!!! We had no choice but to follow her to the counter. Now she is at the counter with my ID and boarding pass, telling the other agent about how I don't understand about priority boarding. This other agent was assisting another customer, so now I'm really embarrassed and I tell her, "It's extremely unprofessional for you to have a conversation about me to another agent with customers around." The whole line of people behind me were looking at me and watching this whole thing happen. The other agent requested I speak with a supervisor and I agreed. Now this rude agent has taken our IDs and boarding pass to the back with her to get the supervisor. That doesn't make me comfortable, but I felt helpless. I felt she was going to keep our things and get us kicked off the flight and we wouldn't be able to make it back home.

While the aggressive agent was done, I ask the other agent if should could please explain to me why I paid this extra money. Clear and calm, she did and it made PERFECT sense what she was saying. I thanked her for being helpful. Now all I wanted to do was go home and get away from this crazy rude agent.

Finally the supervisor came and I told her the other agent explained everything. While the other was extremely rude and on the defense for me asking a valid question. Still in front of her supervisor, she said I was having a bad day and was taking it out on her. Still causing a scene so the other customers could hear her.

Now I just wanted to leave and get out of that airport and away from her. I cannot BELIEVE that agent has the right to put her hands on me to grabbed my personal belongings. This was on 03/04/2018 on the PHL airport a little after 7:30am. Tenya was the agent for AA and I will be seeking legal counsel, I don't think it is right that these agents can treat customers with aggressive force and passengers feel helpless because of the fear of getting kicked off their flight.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Oh how I hate thee, AA! Booked travel in November for March departure. Nor'easter storm approaching. 3-6" predicted. AA won't change flight without $200. fee and of course the difference between flight costs. Difference of course is twice what I originally paid. Cancel flight means I would pay $200 to use the credit later. When storm finally arrives, they'll place me on the next available flight, after I sleep on the floor of the airport and forfeit my hotel reservations at my destination. AND don't forget to speak with an obnoxious supervisor who tells you they don't make changes, but they will rape you of all your money and put you in the middle seat between the window and aisle. This is why people hate flying.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Scheduled 6 plus weeks in advance my wife and I took off work to visit our daughter in Phoenix Arizona. We make the trip out once a year. We were visiting for 7 days. Thursday March 1st at 11pm our flight for the following night was cancelled. At the time no reason was given. All other flights including AA were still on time. As the next day went on numerous flights were cancelled due to wind. Our flight was rescheduled for the following night at 5 52 pm. No stops. At noon I get a call that our flight is cancelled again. I spoke to a representative that said it was due to our plane not getting back to the airport.

I tried to get another airline but everything was already booked from Philly to Phoenix. We are now rescheduled for Sunday March 4 at 1 05 with a 3 hour layover at another airport. American had flights out Sat morning, Sunday morning. We are now down to 5 days with our daughter if we do fly out tomorrow. I paid extra to sit with my wife on the plane. I paid extra for insurance, we paid for a non stop flight. I waited an hour and 45 minutes to talk to a rep Thursday night. No one ever did talk to me, then Friday I called and they were to call me back in 1 and a half to 2 hours.

They called back nearly 3 hours later then hung up when I answered. We have had a negative experience every time we flew American. Their low price sucks you in and by all their negative ratings and reviews it is the only way they can get business. We will never fly AA again. Why are they still in business with all the complaints. They have zero disregard for their consumers. I travel but once a year normally to see my daughter, AA ruined part of this trip. I get bad weather, I don't get their numerous lame excuses and no accountability for their pathetic service.

Original review: March 1, 2018

American Airlines refused to refund my $25. :( I was told due to my ticket restriction I need to check in at the gate. I did and then they charged me and two others in my party $50 each for our carry on. I asked why $50? Shouldn't be $25? I was told if you check your bag at the gate is $50 and if check your bag at the ticket counter is $25??? Hello you told me go to the gate and now you are charging me $50 instead of $25??? That was my last trip with AA.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information