2. Travel

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5
Based on 1,767 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: July 11, 2020

Complain, complain, complain. People will not wait two seconds to express their ‘outrage’ when a flight is delayed or the serving cart was out of Diet Coke. My experiences with AA have generally been pretty good. For several years I was fortunate to take some international business trips for the company and allowed to keep the Advantage Miles. I’ve used these for personal family trips to England, Hong Kong and Boston.

I’ve found the AA flight attendants to be friendlier and more professional than on Cathay Pacific or British Airways. For example – on a trip to London, flying Club World (business class) on BA I asked for a bottle of water, please. I could see at the attendant’s station there were several bottles of water on the counter. “I’m sorry, sir,” the male attendant told me, “but we are out of bottled water in Club World.” “But,” I replied, “I can see you have some water up there.” “Oh,” he replied haughtily, “that water is for our First Class passengers.” Give me a break! My company spends over $4,000 for a ticket and you can’t even give me a bottle of water? Needless to say, that was the last time I flew British Airways!

In October, 2017, a baggage loading cart right next to the AA 777 burst into flames at Hong Kong airport just as passengers will boarding for the flight to L.A. Of course the flight was cancelled. The AA ground staff had to quickly deal with rebooking flights or finding accommodations for over 200 passengers. They handled this sudden emergency task with compassion and professionalism.

By the way, I’ve never had a problem redeeming my Advantage Miles for the trips I wanted. The AAdvantage telephone booking staff has always been very helpful and patient in finding seats for me on the dates and to the destinations I want! Some people here have complained that AA charged them extra because they wanted to change their ‘Basic Economy’ class ticket. Read the fare descriptions! Basic Economy is cheap for a reason – no extras come with it. If you want to change your ticket, book a better level of ticket where this is allowed! So complain if you want. But some of us have had good experiences with AA. Also, just a thought -- Sometimes if you talk to someone with courtesy and respect – you will get the same response and help in return. But if you come on strong like a spoiled cry baby – well, you’ll get just what you deserve back! Cheers.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I was living in Scotland when I received a call that my mother was shot and in surgery in New Orleans. Right away I booked a flight but that airline was getting me there so late. A lady from American Airlines saw I frantic I was and asked if there was anything she could do. I told her what was going on and she said they had a flight that would be getting to the States earlier than the one I was on. She took my ticket and changed it to American. I’ve upgraded me to business class. The pilot knew what was going on and contacted the hospital my mother was in to find out how she was doing and related it to me. American Airlines went above and beyond in helping me. Ever since then I fly American Airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2020

My travel included a connection in Dallas. The origin check in process was uneventful using the kiosk and I checked 1 bag. Agent was available at the kiosk to assist if needed and agent at bag drop was efficient and pleasant. Boarding was organized and the gate agent helpful in getting me a choice of seats. He had a great helpful attitude even with the pressures of about 6 preboard wheelchairs and aisle chair customers, and checking about a dozen gate bags.

Arrived in Dallas a few mins early, changed from A to C concourse and arrived a few mins prior to boarding. Agent called me up and was able to provide upgrade to load was on lighter side. Again pleasant manner and organized boarding. Arrived destination on time. Prior to departure in Dallas addressed FC passengers and the rest of the cabin, thanking customers and joking a bit as well as explaining a bit of en route weather.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I am Executive Platinum on AA. I won't fly any other airline. The service is always stellar and the employees at all levels always exhibit professionalism and are very friendly. Having Dallas as a hub is convenient for travel to any place in the world. The planes are clean and newer models. The entertainment systems are upgraded. The first class cabins have wide comfortable leather seats with stellar service by the first class attendants. Traveling 4 days a week is stressful enough, but the employees are always helpful and cheerful and make a long day seem much better. This from the gate to the flight attendants.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Customer service for AA is not consistent. There is ground crew in Green Bay that excels. They do put the customer first. They multi-task and so so with a smile. Customer service however is not that way everywhere, Based on what I know I continue to choose AA over others because they have the the concept correct. The value of services is competitive and I wish their cancellation policy was more like that of Southwest. AA strives to provide safe customer oriented service, based on my experience. I choose AA as my first choice.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Booked a trip for my brother and sister in law to visit. However, they were not able to due to covid quarantine requirements. I understood that I could not get a full refund but (since I paid) was hoping I could at least get the credit in my name (like UNITED did for me on the return flight). However, AA would not even allow this. I understand the "nontransferable" part but in the midst of a global pandemic, their customer service team should be more flexible. Never flying AA again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I am thoroughly disappointed with my travels with American Airlines this time, and I will likely not take AA anymore in the future, even with credit still left on my account. I booked a round-trip direct flight from DCA to LAX 3 months in advance. However, without explanation, both flights were changed to layover flights with a stop in Dallas. Then, they changed my seats without explanation. Even worse, my flight from LAX to DFW was delayed, causing me to miss my connection from DFW to DCA.

In addition to the delay, the connection time of merely 40 minutes was unacceptable. Furthermore, AA changed the gates last minute for my flight into DFW and my flight out of DFW, causing me to run through 2 terminals only to be blocked at the gate even though there were still about 15 minutes left. I now have to stay at a hotel overnight, miss a whole day of work, and pay for meals and travel fees out of my own pocket. The worst part, their compensation to me was a 12-dollar meal voucher... No one apologized to me throughout the whole process.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

American Airlines is truly disconnected from the needs of the average consumer. For example, I purchased a round trip flight but because of Covid and other holiday complications, was left with only needing my return flight. American Airlines cancelled my flight home leaving me stranded in another state during the holidays. Now I am sure in the fine print this is allowed but to add insult to injury the representative on the phone gave me only one option, and this was to re-purchase my seat for 3x the original cost on top of my original purchase. Additionally, the representative on the phone was callous and nasty and on top of that, many layovers were added to my original flight. I will never use this airline again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

They changed my flight plans 3 times and then on the 4th time they cancelled my flight and moved it to another day 6 hours before our flight was to depart, I had to cancel everything, my family was so disappointed that they never ever want to book a flight on American Airlines ever again. What a big let down they gave us????

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Airlines in April, "We're all in this together, be patient and understanding with us." American Airlines on Christmas Day, "You booked a flight 23 hours before scheduled departure, in order to be eligible for a refund it had to be 24 hours." Has anyone there taken a single management class? You get to keep my $1,400 and require me to use it as a voucher AND your actions guarantee that you will never get another dollar of my money as long as I live. Not the best long-term strategy...

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information