American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

2.2/5 (275 reviews)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2023

American Airlines is my “go-to Airline”! I really love just about everything they do!! I have never had a bad experience! Recently, I broke my heel bone and had to use a medical knee scooter. From the moment I got the gate, to the connection, to my final destination, everyone took really good care of me!!! I so look forward to taking American Airline to Europe next summer with my family!! Thank you American Airlines for doing a great job!!! PH

Original review: Feb. 17, 2023

My cousin & I was having a horrible experience with our trip since yesterday. Literally everything was happening, one thing after another! We came to check-in to our flight at La Guardia airport due to the weather was changed & was explaining our unpleasant experience with Brian C. He empathized with us & went out of his way to find us a much better option for a trip to accommodate us through we have been through thus far. Brian C. was extremely patient with us, had humor, treated us like his very own. He made our trip better & saved us a lot of trouble. We cannot thank him enough! American Airlines is lucky to have him on their team! Great job!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

Thank you American airlines for your great customer service. Even though my connection flight was delayed I appreciate the fact that my child and I were safe. I appreciate the vouchers and the customer service. It was a lifesaver. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Arrived extra early for my flight from O'Hare to Logan. Couldn't self check so I went to an agent. Her name was Jeanne, I think. (Forgive me, I should remember.) She informed us our flight was cancelled due to crew shortage. She was kind and understanding and most likely didn't want to give us such bad news, We followed cue with her gracious demeanor. We were slightly delayed, but understand it's this day and age. Thank you, American Airlines for such pleasant staff on ground and above. I will fly with you forever!!

Original review: July 15, 2022

Beyond expectations. We took a different flight to our location but picked AA due to direct flight option. Our pilots talked to us, greeted us, kept us aware through the flight. We went into a storm and they navigated brilliantly around the turbulence, then had to hold us in the air due to the storm. They kept it level and very little turbulence! I am not kidding, we will be getting a card and using them from now on. So impressed!! And our other airline was good, but AA was wildly beyond! Thankful for skilled pilots who know how to calm the heart of a very, very nervous flier!!

Original review: March 31, 2023

American Airlines has become the Six Flags of airlines. You know when you get excited to visit a theme park and then you show up and half of the rides are down, and the staff is unbelievably unhelpful, and the overpriced food is cold after standing in line for an hour? When it comes to flying, AA manages to capture these exact same disappointing vibes. Customer service, quality assurance, communication, and a focus on ops are completely foreign concepts to this airline. What a shame.

Original review: March 26, 2023

I advise against flying with this airline! I have never had a problem with passengers while flying and I have flown a lot. However, from Charlotte to Puerto Rico on American Airlines, I was seated next to a woman who refused to heed the advice of two flight attendants (I sought help from them) about where she should stow her under the seat luggage. My friend came to my aid because I chose not to engage. The upshot was that we almost got kicked off the plane.

After agreeing to get along, the attendants let us re-enter plane. This woman immediately put her gear under the seat in front of me, placed her foot one third of the way into my floor space and then stuck her elbows and third of the way into my seat area. The flight attendants must have noticed. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever had!! What I learned is that bullying pays off on American Airlines - just so long as they don't have to interact!! If the attendants had asked other passengers in the vicinity of our seats, they would have learned that these people supported us, but the attendants really didn't care. Shame on them!

Original review: March 22, 2023

I purchased a round trip ticket on American Airlines. I was late checking in so they did not allow me to check in. And no time did they take my name or ask me to call American airlines. I booked another ticket to another airline to get to my destination. When I try to check in for my return flight, they told me that my flight was canceled because I missed the first flight. Even though I paid in full for both flights. When I try to check in, they said I had to buy another ticket. Even though I did buy a ticket. I feel this is wrong and so many levels.

I never liked American airlines. I feel it's the worst airlines in the market. Even though I do fly that on occasion. I've been traveling for over 40 years now. And even last year when I missed the a flight on another airline they honored my return ticket. This is a very unprofessional airline and the stock price shows it. The planes are dirty the stewardess are rude. Do yourself a favor. Find another airline to fly even if it costs you more. This airline is struggling financially and it looks like they're trying to make money any way they can. I would give them zero stars but that is not a choice. So I guess I have to give them one star. A zero is not an option. I assure you that this airline does not care about reviews. That's why they only have one star. And two and a half stars on all other sites. Needless to say I will never fly this airline again.

Original review: March 20, 2023

I had a truly horrendous traveling experience with American Airlines on my return flight from Newark to DFW. To begin with, my flight was scheduled for 6:30 pm, and I arrived at the airport at 4 pm to go through the tedious security check. Upon reaching the gate, I was informed that my flight was delayed by an hour. As time passed, the delay kept extending, and we were eventually told that we would only be boarding the plane at around 9:45 pm to 10 pm.

After boarding and taxiing for half an hour, the pilot announced that they had exceeded their allowed hours, and we would have to go back to the terminal. It was incredibly frustrating to have to go through the entire boarding process only to be turned back due to an issue that should have been sorted out beforehand.

Upon returning to the terminal, we were informed that the flight had been canceled, and we would have to wait until the next day to fly out at 11:15 am. The process of waiting in line at the AA counter to secure a hotel reservation for the night was a frustrating two-hour ordeal. When I finally arrived at the hotel, I was informed that they had not received any information about my reservation. Luckily, they had a room available, but it was an unnecessary inconvenience after an already stressful day.

The next day, we arrived at the airport at 8 am, went through security again, and boarded the plane. However, after only half an hour, we were informed that there was a technical issue with the plane, and we had to disembark yet again. I was fed up with the constant delays and decided to book a flight with United while waiting in line for a refund. The whole ordeal cost me $850 for a one-way ticket for myself and my wife. Overall, this experience was a complete nightmare, and I have decided never to travel with American Airlines again. I will make sure to share my experience with anyone who asks for recommendations.

Original review: March 13, 2023

After a recent vacation, I was trying to complete 2nd half of roundtrip ticket. My flight from Miami, Fl evening around 530 was canceled and I was rebooked on 730 flight. It was then delayed multiple times with no explanation in 30 min to 1-hour increments until around 10:00 pm at the time it was canceled too. After a 2 hour wait in slow line (so at this time it's midnight) they inform me that I would get no hotel and gave me a food voucher not sufficient to even get a meal. But everything in airport was closed by that time. At this point, the airport train was shut down and had to walk probably 1/2 mile to get out. I split a taxi and a $570 hotel with other people in the same situation.

Since all this was split and with cash, I don't have itemized receipt for it. The next morning I went back to airport for 9:30 flight that I was rebooked for and it was delayed about 3-4 hours. I finally made it to my destination the next night and 20 hours late with additional parking expenses and a hotel here that I had to pay for previous night due to late notice. American Airline employees were rude and in no hurry to help people. They seemed annoyed to have to deal with it even though most people were being pretty nice about it. American Airline employees seemed to be doing things very slow on purpose. So all my extra expenses were over $400, this does not include the inconvenience and the stress of the whole situation. After it was over they offer me 10K airline miles (I looked up the roundtrip I took and it costs 80K.)

My flight was $450 so in my opinion they are offering me about 50 bucks worth of compensation. But will give me nothing else. They would not even get hotels for anyone that night because they said none available which was not true, they were just expensive because it was Saturday night in Miami. All the cheap hotels were booked. I guess they expected everyone to just sleep on the floor at airport or the uncomfortable chairs they have and drink water from the few fountains there were. (All stores and restaurants were closed and no vending machines were found.) There were some people that slept at airport because they could not afford accommodations and American Airlines was not willing to help. Or did they care. I wanted to point out that I do fly frequently and most of the time it goes well but when there is a problem, you probably not get help or be compensated, at least that's my opinion and experience. Good luck.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information