1.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 237 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Airlines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

2763 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We are at the Indianapolis airport getting ready to head to Dallas, all passengers were on the plane ready to go BUT we had a delay because the truck that was going to defrost the plane had malfunctions and we had to wait for a new one, that took forever. I get to Dallas and we get off of the plane at 6:47pm, my next flight was at 6:55pm. We quickly got on the train to go to our gate and then the trains were very behind and the announcement said it would take a few minutes. We were there for 20 minutes and so we missed our flight. It was completely out of our control.

I went to customer service where I was treated unfairly, they kept saying that it was a weather issue but it wasn’t. At first it was a truck malfunction and then half the trains stopped working and the rest were very behind. At customer service we didn’t get offered absolutely anything we didn’t even get an apology or anything. The lady booked us another flight and that’s it. This has never happened to me! I’ve always traveled on United Airlines, this was my first time traveling on AA and honestly I’m very disappointed and upset. I am currently sitting in these uncomfortable chairs waiting for my 10 am flight. I am exhausted! My grandmother passed away this morning and her funeral was tonight but I’m stuck at the airport. I did not ask for this. I paid so much for my plane tickets. It’s not fair.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I accidentally selected a premium more expensive option for a seat. I tried to change it to refund that part of the ticket charge, but they do not allow it. Not even on the same day of order. ** absurd. The flight is months out.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I booked a flight to Tel Aviv on American Airlines back in June of 2017 for my wife and I. The trip started in December 2017 and we returned January 6th. There were 6 legs of this trip, three to Tel Aviv and three return legs. Problem #1. The first leg of the trip from Albuquerque to Dallas was changed but American did not notify us. The change in times was not an issue, but American cancelled all our seat assignments on every leg of the trip. Again no notice provided. Several days before departing I checked our reservations and discovered that we did not have seats and the seats available then were middle or singles. Customer service was provided by East Indians and the language barrier was considerable. After an hour and with the help of a English first attendant we were able to get seats together, but not those we first wanted.

Problem #2. The longest leg of the trip was from Dallas to Frankfurt and we flew a 787 Dreamliner. The seats were so small it was a terribly uncomfortable long flight. The armrests were too low, the tray table hit my knees and the back only reclined about 3 inches. Problem #3. During the return flight from Tel Aviv to Phoenix (routed through Phoenix on return) the handle in one of our suitcases was damaged in such a way it would not pull out of the bag. The luggage attendant at the Albuquerque was very rude and would not even look at the damage. I will not fly American again if I can avoid it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I booked one my employees through AA on a company trip only to have them cancel his flight and leave him stranded with no ability to get to his destination and not even attempt to offer to get him home or to his destination... just best of luck to you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My father was traveling from Manila, Philippines to Miami, in business/first class on Dec 27, 2018. He had a 12 hr layover in LAX prior to his flight to Miami. In LAX he was told by American Airline that he cannot use the lounge because they no longer avail this service for flights between LAX and Miami and that the lounge is only available for flights between LAX and NY. REALLY!!!??? This is the reason why we pay business/first class.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Was scheduled to fly out of Jacksonville, NC on 1/1/18 at 9:18 am after visiting my son who is serving at Camp Lejeune. This was my family's first time flying out of OAJ since my son was moved there. The flight left the gate late, as the crew was late to arrive from the hotel. Once the plane was boarded and backed from the gate, we sat for a few minutes awaiting departure. As we sat there, a cargo cart started to roll unattended towards the aircraft. It eventually rolled into the aircraft with a good impact. Understandably, the plane had to return to the gate for inspection. At this time, we were told that the flight would be delayed for some period of time. We had a connecting flight out of Charlotte to Chicago that we were going to miss, so we got our selves placed on a later flight out of Charlotte.

After a few hours passed, it became apparent that we would once again miss our connecting flight. Again, we arranged for a later connecting flight out of Charlotte leaving in the early evening. Shortly after getting booked on the new connecting flight out of Charlotte, we were told that our flight out of OAJ was being cancelled due to the damage to the aircraft. We were then booked on a later flight out of OAJ, scheduled to leave around 5:30 pm. At this point, we’re the only people remaining at OAJ. Even TSA had closed-up since there were no more flights for the afternoon. With luck, a small concession stand remained open, so we did have some food. We soon found out that our 5:30 flight out of OAJ was being delayed by maintenance issues with the aircraft in Charlotte. The flight was rescheduled to depart at approximately 6:50.

Once again, the delay would cause us to miss our connecting flight out of Charlotte. At this point, since there were one ticket agents available at OAJ, I contacted AA direct for help and to complain about the poor service. The representative on the phone was able to place us on yet another flight out of Charlotte, leaving at 10:49 pm and arriving into Chicago at 11:55 pm. This is 11 hours after we were originally to arrive in Chicago! When I told the representative that I felt we should be compensated for the cancellations and delays, the response was that it was not AA's fault and that they would not compensate in any way. I responded by saying I would never fly AA again. She basically said, “We don't care.” in response.

I filed a complaint with AA and received a response this morning from Tony ** in customer relations. His excuse it that the aircraft was damaged by weather. I would guess since the wind may have blown the cargo cart, that is how they see this. He continued to explain that their approach is not to offer compensation in such situations. Well, if this is the way they treat their customers, they will not be given the opportunity to regain my trust. My family and I will frequently be traveling in and out of OAJ to visit my son while he serves there. While OAJ is a very small airport, I am fortunate in knowing Delta serves there as well. American Airlines will no longer see business from me or my family in ANY travel. I have never seen such poor customer service and response in any business.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I booked two tickets for my husband and I to enjoy our anniversary/honeymoon in Jamaica. The first leg of my trip from Austin to Miami had a 12 hours layover. I called AA to see to see if our bags will be in Miami. The first customer service rep was very rude and told me yes, we need to collect our luggage then recheck them and I will be charged for the remainder of my trip for luggage to Jamaica. This sound weird to me so I called back and spoke with another rep, who advised that we will need to collect our luggage in Miami.

On the day of my departure I called again just to ensure that I do not need to bring a carryon with clothing for the long layover. I was told again that we need to pick up our luggage. After arriving in Miami, we went to baggage claim and there were no luggage for us. We asked where our luggage were and was told it was held back for the connection flight. At this point we had to run to Walmart and purchase toiletries and extra clothing. This was an inconvenience for us.

On our flight back to the US our flight for Miami was delayed for 30 minutes no big deal. We arrived in Miami only to sit on the Tarmac waiting for a gate to come available for another 20 minutes. We had a layover of 4 hours in Miami, no big deal. We paid $809 to change our previous flight that had a 15 hour layover. We arrived in Austin at 11:23pm and went to baggage claim to collect our bags. Three bags came out and we waited for the 4th until the lane was closed, no bags! We spoke to an AA airline rep who offered to open a ticket for the missing luggage. We went back to our other luggage only to find that one of the suitcase was busted and items were missing. We filed a damage and missing item claim. We were told that our luggage was back in Miami and will be sent to our home the next day. Although we were disappointed we accepted their excuse of airplane was overweight which cause the luggage to be left behind.

We waited all day on 12/31/17 and no luggage arrived, we called customer service and was told that our luggage was retrieved from Miami and arrived in Austin at 6pm on 12/3/17. We again waited on 01/01/18 all day even after receiving an email with an ETA of 1pm. At 11pm when frustration really set in the luggage arrived. Our suitcase has huge tear in the middle. I called customer service to report the damage and was told that I will need to drive 65 miles one way to Austin airport with the luggage to report the damage.

After all the inconvenience, the broken anniversary gift, and the two days wait for our luggage on top of the delayed airline American Airline had the nerve to ask me to drive 65 miles to the airport with a broken luggage. This is by far the worst trip I have had and painful and exhausting phone calls with different issue to AA. There has been no resolution to any of the issues we experienced. This is another airline transport that is off my list to travel with in the future. I wish I could rate them zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I return from Cancun. I stuck in Dallas, Texas. They had no plan for rescheduling the flight and announced every 15 min a delay for another 15 min. Irresponsible completely. After 5 hr delay they said the waiting for crew to show up!!! If you go with cheap airline (American Airlines), then expected all kind of bad surprise. Never ever go with them! That is my worst trip experience ever!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This was my family’s first time flying America Airlines. If I’d had know how rude and unprofessional they were I wouldn’t have booked them. I’ve flown with many airlines and was treated way better. Boarding was horrible and the people that was conducting the boarding was worse. I’ve called customer service several times trying to change my flight. And they were rude each time. The flight attendant were not friendly and not once did they smile. This will be my absolute last time flying with America airlines and I will not be recommending AA to anyone at all. It doesn’t deserve the 1 star. The only thing I was pleased with was our flights were on time. They have the worst customer service I’ve ever seen.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I called to update my dates of travel, over 3 months before the travel time. American charges $250 per ticket. My tickets were only $379. This is pure robbery. I could understand if it was 30 days before. I will never fly American again. Talked to a supervisor and he was rude, condescending and no help. This was after being put on hold for 30 minutes earlier in the day. Buyer be aware.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Poor service, bad service, old aircrafts, expensive flights to LATAM with no upgrades available. My dream was to be an Executive Platinum, and with this status is not working either. Looking for more options.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

First time with AA my checked baggage came back broken. The second flight after fastened the seat belt, found chewing gum attached underneath. I told the flight attendant who didn’t care. The fourth time (surely my last time with AA) from MSY to MIA my baggage still left in MSY and I have to wait for 8 days until I got my baggage back.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have more than 190,000 miles on my account and have requested an upgrade for my trip 3 weeks ahead of the trip. AA didn't respond so I started calling. AA personnel was playing ping-pong with me sending me from one agent to another and asking to call their central office in DFW area. Finally, they told me that my request has not even been considered and I ended up flying 5.5 hours in a cramped economy seat from Seattle to JFK. Horrible experience, nobody cared, nobody wanted to help. Avoid AA like a plague, if you can.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Beyond rude when my sister booked a flight and called about issue with my sister entering my name (because she used my card). Instead of her name. They had me on hold back and forth long cutting me off mid sentence to put me on hold and I was horrified that they can treat you like that. Also the supervisor started humming in my ear and I told her that was unprofessional. Just a mess. I hope these calls are recorded because I'm not letting this go.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I am Executive Platinum with AA and have been since they have had the Program. I booked two Tickets in First Class for me and my Girlfriend to London and Back. First Class only has two Rows so I was in 1J and she was in 2J for the return flight. She is claustrophobic and likes her stuff on the Floor in front of her. We Ticketed it in July. Well on Nov 21st they took her out of her seat and switched her to 1G which is Bullhead and said the seat was Broken and our flight wasn't until Dec 3. When we checked in we were told a person was in 2J now. To make a long story short they accommodated a Concierge Key member with her seat because he wanted 3 seats across. They told me in a letter that they are allowed to do that. If they are why would they lie about the reason? These Airlines don't care about the Passengers anymore and only the Bottom Line. People beware your seats can be taken away from you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Coming from very long trip from Spain. I was helped by the American personnel in Madrid and in the plane to not lose my connection. I did because the personnel in the Miami "express check out" were lazy and incompetent. They were extremely rude and I did lose my connection. It was obvious that did not want to help. Also contradicted the Spain check in because the luggage weight and payment. Ridiculous. They even threatened me calling security to escort me out. They are horrible! Unfortunately Miami always get bad reputation for a reason. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

On 11/08/17 I was disallowed to fly with American Airlines. My father and I had booked a trip to Thailand 3 months in advance and waited in the airport for hours as they tried to figure out what was wrong. As time flew by and they were trying to figure out what was going, our flight took off. We kept trying to tell them that we had to hurry things up but it wasn’t of importance to them. They continued telling us my Father had fraudulent activity in his card. My father just got back from Kuwait and is a retired Navy Seal. He’s fiscally responsible therefore financially stable. I can’t even explain how embarrassing it was. He called his card he used to pay for the trip right in front of the manager and the Rep from American Express told them “He doesn’t even have a balance, it’s paid off. There is no fraudulent activity on this card.”

They bounced the ball off the wall a little more then switched from my Father to me saying I had fraudulent activity on my card. Funny thing is my dad paid for the trip, not me. And I’ve never flown or attempted to fly with American Airlines in my life. They switched again and said that I could fly but I would have to pay in cash for a ticket to Thailand right on the spot which was $6000. We booked our flight and rooms for about $1500.00 each. Are you kidding me? How much sense does that make? So we already bought our tickets, paid for in advance which we have which should be irrefutable evidence to board. We can’t use that but we can pay $6000.00 right there and fly? Sounds a bit money hungry to me.

We were not refunded our money. It’s almost been a month. I’ve called their corporate offices every day as well as customer relations from emails to phone calls and they keep giving me the runaround. This is below American Airlines. Before this I had heard a few negative things about American Airlines but not enough to deter me from flying with them. Again we were not refunded our money or given any valid reason to why I couldn’t fly. This is below American Airlines. You ruined a huge trip for My father and I. There was obviously a mix up and it’s been almost a month and American Airlines still hasn’t given us a reason simply because there isn’t one and they need time to come up with a lie to justify their actions. I feel like American Airlines stole our money.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I will, "NEVER" fly (AA) again. On 11/22/2017, while trying to get home from California to Ct., to spend Thanksgiving, with my Mom, who will be (99) in a few months. I presented my "Official" TSA approved hard sided carrying case, with my off-duty weapon, which, I've been using to transport my weapon for four years now, on numerous airline and never a problem. I retired four years ago (Federal) and always transport my weapon when I travel, especially working narcotics on the Mexican border for self protection, before, I carried my weapon on my person for twenty seven years, while flying.

I presented my (FAA) approved case, as always compliant with all (FAA) regulations, policies and directives, and I'm certified by (FAA) to transport it. I was "Intentionally" lied to and intentionally mislead by a (AA) supervisor. I always call the airline before I'm flying and ask if there are any changes, and also (TSA). I was not allowed to transport my weapon, stating that if he can stick even his "Pinky" inside the (FAA) case, it's not going, at this point it was more "Personal" than "Professional", maybe he didn't like (LEO's), which I just flew two months with (AA) and there was no issue, with the exact same case.

I was told that TSA, changed the rules and it has to be a "Metal" case. In a panic, and actually pleading with them, that I was totally compliant. I had to call my wife up and she had to drive another back to the airport to pick up my weapon. I asked and pleaded with him, "What can I do, I don't want to miss my flight to see my Mom." I was advised by the (AA) supervisor that over in Terminal#1, Alaskan Airlines sells them, at this point I was literally running over to the next terminal, I watched the supervisors, laughing and telling me, well you have about 20 minutes.

As I went over to Alaskan Airlines, and desperately hoping they had a case, they presented to me, the same exact case I presented, to (AA). I had to change my flight time. I had already paid extra for an aisle seat, and had to fly five hours in the middle seat, and I paid extra for the aisle seat because, of my disability, having to get up a lot and stand up a lot and stretch. Sorry, when (AA) supervisors, intentionally, and willfully mislead or blatantly lied, and I was subjected to being mocked at and laughed at, in front of the traveling public.

I also advised them that I'm also a veteran, and because of the work I've been involved in for twenty seven years, I rely on my weapon for self protection. I was denied, and I will not stop until this hits the desk of the CEO of (AA). I want to advise anyone transporting a (FAA) hard sided case and in compliance, "DON'T FLY American Airlines." This has left me so emotionally distraught and "NO" one should be subjected to this type of behavior. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We are getting very close to the point where this is literally nothing that AA could do worse other than, maybe, killing me. After having my flight from PHL to BUF cancelled due to AA’s inability to crew the airplane, being stranded by AA in PHL, and having my bag sent to DFW, my expectations for service on the return flight were low. Unfortunately they were not low enough. American Airlines found a way to deliver the worst possible service, or better put, no service at all. I complained about the cancellation of the PHL to BUF leg and was told a refund for the cancelled leg would be considered.

This is a direct quote from the email I received from AACustomerRelations@aa.com: “I have submitted your request for a refund of the unused portion (segment two) of your ticket and our colleagues in the Refunds Department will review your record to determine the applicable refund amount. Your remaining two segments of your ticket are still valid for travel on 11/17/17”. On the evening of November 16th I attempted to check in for my flight but received an error message. On the morning of November 17th I continued trying and received the same error message. Finally, I called the 800 number and learned that American had decided to CANCEL MY BOOKING, something that no one had requested, and I was not going to be on the flight.

Not only did American cancel my booking for no valid reason, I WASN’T EVEN NOTIFIED! Since it was important that I make it home, I asked if there were still seats available. I was told that there were, and I would have to pay the new price for the one-way ticket, which was more than the entire original booking combined! I asked for a supervisor who repeated this, saying that she didn’t know why American cancelled the booking and failed to notify me, but that I would not be able to fly unless I paid the new price in full on my credit card. I flew on Delta.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I was 45 minutes early to board so I decided to go to Ruby Tuesday’s with my wife just down the terminal. Departure was 11:41 am and it was 11:25 as I left the restaurant and stopped in the restroom. At 11:27 my wife calls me and tells me to hurry up. They are closing the doors. I run down to the gate at 11:30 only to find the doors shut! I still have 1 minute before 11:31 doors are suppose to close. The AA employee refused to open the door at 11:31 and told me it was airline regulation to shut the doors 10 minutes before departure. This ONE minute discrepancy cost me an additional 5 hours waiting for the next flight STAND BY! The customer service here was a joke. I sat and watched the plane through the window for 15 minutes parked and wasn’t allowed on board. I will never fly American Airlines again and will recommend that others fly a different airline. I am still waiting for my flight, I will let you know how that goes...

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was on an almost 2 hour flight (Flight AA3936) stuck sitting with one leg over my bag and the other on the edge of the aisle. Not once was I asked to check in my bag nor told it wouldn't fit on the overhead bin. By the time we landed my knees, hips and back were killing me and I had to have help from the gentleman next to me to be able to stand up. So glad there wasn't an emergency 'cause this would have been one hell of a hazard. Lesson learned not to use this airline again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

American Airlines…the new standard for horrible service. Oh…I mean HORRIBLE! I travel very frequently for work and have stuck to one specific airline in order to build my status with them (ie. first class upgrades often, better seat choices, free checked bags). Recently, service has taken a turn for the worse. I’m a reasonable guy and tolerate more than most. Call it my Southern hospitality, my upbringing or my service to the community when I served in law enforcement, but I just plain put up with more…until now.

On a recent flight, where I sat in coach, but was two rows behind first class, I got up to use the restroom…in first class. The flight attendant stepped in front of me and said that the restroom for “my class” was in the back of the plane. Ok…mmm…let that slide, but rude. Soon after, I was on a flight where I had been upgraded to first class. I was minding my own business and watching downloaded programs on my iPad, all the way through the boarding process. Once boarding was complete, the flight attendant stopped near me, waved her hands, to get my attention, and smiled.

I took out my headphones and politely asked how I could help her and she pointed to my iPad and told me that if I had been listening, “like a good little boy” I would have known that I could not have my laptop out during takeoff and landing. I replied that it was an iPad and she threw her hands in the air and said, “little boys never learn and they don’t listen”. Several other passengers actually told her to leave me alone and that she was picking on me, as the rules state specifically laptops and I was using an iPad. I ended up putting my iPad away and was “a good little boy” so mommy dearest didn’t continue her wrath. So much for first class upgrade. Second strike, but mmm…let it slide. Also, I’m a 43 year old man, not a little boy.

Fast forward to this week and my flight from Louisville to Houston. Flight is delayed, but gate attendant assured me I’ll make my connection in Dallas. Connection flight starts to board, while I’m still en route to Dallas, so I land and sprint to my gate…only to find that the door is closed and the flight has left. They rescheduled me, but still…not an enjoyable time, running in boots and a backpack through 30 gates.

Departing this morning to come home, I arrived in plenty of time and checked in at the ticket counter. I had already returned my rental car and thought nothing more about it. Ticket agent smiled, checked me in and on my way through security. Moments later, I learn that my flight was delayed. Ok, a normal thing and no big deal. Well, I was delayed hour after hour after hour, until about four hours passed and I boarded. I make my connecting flight in Dallas and arrive in Austin 10 hours after I made it to Houston that same morning. The whole, “why did I return my rental and not just drive” crosses my mind. But wait…there’s more!

I get to baggage claim and wait the standard 20 plus minutes, in Austin, that I’m accustomed to. Only to receive an email from American Airlines that says that my bags are on a later flight and will be delivered for free, at a later time. So, off to the airline baggage area to speak to an agent. I wait there for 10 minutes, in room full of people with similar complaints. I finally check the app and it says that my bags were unloaded in Austin. I wait for another 20 minutes and I locate my bags in the carousel, grab them and head home…a lot more frustrated this time.

I get home, an hour trip from the airport, and grab my luggage…only to find that it’s partially open and both of the brand new locks that I literally just bought are missing. I open my bag and expect to see a TSA inspection letter, which is normal in my frequent travels, but find nothing but tossed luggage. It looks like someone rifled through my case, maybe because it is a hard-sided Pelican case, with Magpul stickers (for easy identification), snapped one of the two buckles closed and ditched the locks.

Now…now I’m upset. I call the airline, only to explain my situation and get transferred to someone else who asks the exact same thing. I get told that proof of purchase is needed, file claim forms are needed and then they say…”Oh, Sir, we see you are a valued member with status”. Really?!? Now you decide to reimburse me for my $15 locks and skip the claim forms because of my status? What happened to treating me right, all along, because just like the other hundred plus paying customers on those flights…I’m a customer and I’ve earned that.

How about not having TSA intentionally dump the internals of my tool bag, just to be rude, or drag my Pelican case face down across the parking lot and laugh (oh…I’ve been watching the airline baggage guys out the window) or speak to me without an attitude or, just maybe stop stealing things out of my luggage to include my brand new locks. I’m watching you American Airlines and I see that you are the new standard for horrible. I’ll work on my status elsewhere. You and I, are done!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I travel 80%~ for Work and have flown with almost every airline multiple times. AA is by far the worst. Not due to their customer service/staff/delays or anything like that (at least that I’ve noticed), but their planes have no entertainment system on each seat, they do not play movies on the overhead screens, and they don’t even have a free WiFi movie/tv option you can connect to using your phone! I’m currently on a flight from Boston to Phoenix and was utterly shocked when I sat in my seat and noticed no form of entertainment for a cross-country flight. Delta and other airlines provide personal entertainment screens on each screen or a smartphone connect feature for 2+ hr flights, which in turn make the flights more enjoyable. Anyways, to avoid rambling on and on about the lack of technology on AA planes I’ll just say if you enjoyed traveling in the late 90s early 2000s, then AA is for you. If you want to travel in 2017 and beyond, find a different airline.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had a horrible experience today on my flight back to Miami. I have been an AAdvantage member for many years now and have always chosen to be loyal to American but after today's experience that may change. The onboarding process was fine and the flight was on time, which to be honest is rare but I was happy. When the snacks and beverage cart came the attendant did not smile, looked unhappy to take our beverage order, handed me and my husband 2 cookies, I then I told her, "Can we just get pretzels?" She said "Then I need the cookies back." I was honestly appalled.

I understand if the airline has a policy on one snack per customer but I'm seriously confused on how an official count is kept especially if individuals opt for no snack in the first place? She was continually frowning for the remainder of the trip and it just became uncomfortable at one point. I was an HR Manager for United and would never recruit an employee that had this type of energy.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Don't deserve single star. Also, I have a flight from Chicago to Minneapolis 5 hours from now. And they have seats available on the earlier flight but won't give you without charging $75. They are ok to make you wait or fly a flight with empty seats but no customer delight which is no cost to them. No customer driven company and not looking for going extra mile to make customer happy. Never travel on American Airlines again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Worst experience ever with AA never again, they treated my dad like garbage, they humiliated my dad in front of my niece travelling with him and in front of all passengers, just because my dad is ** and not fluent in English. I wish I could sue them for discrimination against my dad for not speaking English fluent instead of offering assistance in Spanish which, the sky harbor airport in Arizona has plenty of bilingual employees. DO NOT FLY AA EVER, pay more with a different airline. The only reason why my dad and niece flew AA to go to my brother's funeral, thank you AA for the worst day ever. It's a shame I have to put a star instead of no stars service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This American Airlines review is out of frustration due to a lot of things. They're a disgrace! The employees are rude, there is no leg room, no entertainment, and treat people like herds of sheep. They have a "New" rule where they charge $50 at the gate to carry on your luggage. Are you kidding me? $50 for a carry on? And I can't even use the overhead bin! Disgraceful! Basically these guys are crooks! They're a disgrace. Last time I flew with American their flight was delayed by 2 hours and we ended up missing our connecting flight because it was the last flight out. We ended up having to stay an extra day and had to pay $100 for a hotel. We missed my sisters wedding. On the way back we ended up stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours. Of course!

This company is an absolute nightmare! I don't care if it's free. These guy are crooks. I would never support a company that disrespects people like this. They're a horribly ran company. All the miles of racked are for nothing! I will never fly American. You should never fly this company. I'm seriously outraged by their fees, lack of service, tardiness, rudeness, incompetence, lack of morals, no integrity, bait and switch tactics, laziness, and how bad they are ran! P.S - Beware of this disgraceful company! DO NOT fly with them! Go with another airlines.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I booked a ticket back when the hurricane were hitting down south every other week. Because of that I was not able to attend my trip in GA. They told me I had up to a year to use my ticket. So when I try to rebook my ticket they are now close to $500. Mind you this is the highest rate out of all the airlines for my particular dates, I asked for a refund because I didn't wanna double what I paid the first time and I was told by the Supervisor (Willie ** in Dallas ) that my only option was to "use it or lost it". Being a supervisor myself I thought the tone in which he said it was very careless and he didn't try to help the situation at all. I would never talk to my customers the way he spoke to me especially after losing out on $300!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I just completed a flight on American Airlines. I had read negative reviews, but I found the American Airlines people I had contact with were great, tried to provide all the service they could because our flight had been cancelled due WX and had to layover at ORD. My complaint is the phoney coupon given for a hotel room for a "discounted rate". The coupon has nothing to do with American Airlines, but is only a hotel booking service. When I called the phone number provided I was told the only available room was 10 miles away and given a rate of $80.00. It was getting late in the evening so took it. Then was advised there was a $15 service charge to book the room. American Airline paid none of this. The shuttle bus to the hotel was packed (Other delayed passengers). When I got home I checked the hotel rate and found the same room went for $105. I "saved" $10. The hotel was a Holiday Inn Express. Room not bad.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I was en route from San Antonio Texas to Hong Kong and when checking in for the domestic portion of the flight at the ticket counter, the woman claimed there was a problem with my passport. I asked for details and she claimed "There are spots on your passport." I told her the passport was still valid and did not expire until the following year." She made up some baloney about Homeland Security not letting people fly with spots on their passport. I told her I checked their website and there was no mention of anything like that. She then claimed, "Oh, they don't tell you." I said, "Then how are you supposed to know?" She then sarcastically claimed I needed glasses, so I put my glasses on and told her those so called spots are not a problem.

She then stated she had to check with her supervisor and left the counter with my passport. I was getting pissed but determined she was not going to stop me from going on my trip, so when she left I started tagging my bags. She came back and said, "It's ok." She just wanted to ** with me, I am sure. It is no wonder the NAACP has issued a warning to ** travelers when flying with this airlines. I hope I never have to again.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information

www.aa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use