American Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I read some of the blogs posted and realize that as a lowly Platinum member I should not expect good service when Executive Platinum members are experiencing horrible customer service as well. I travel often and have used American Airlines (reluctantly) for many of my trips. Since the merger with US Airways (I was a US Airways customer primarily as based out of Phoenix), the service on all levels has deteriorated (which was amazing that this could even happen.

This is the latest round which had me, who handles many challenging situations without difficulty - reduced to near tears. I contacted AA about a month prior to my trip as I had to add another trip to a full schedule. I had booked from PHX to LHR through JFK. This trip included a leg to and from Tel Aviv before returning to Phoenix. Complicated schedule. I added FL so would have been home approximately 10 hours total so called AA to ask about changing the ticket to fly from FL to NYC then on to London. The person I spoke with said that the change fee would be more than $200 as it involved international travel. I said, "Then I guess it makes more sense to take a one-way to NYC as an add on." No further discussion was involved - no "Wait - let me tell you the ramifications of taking that action". I make my reservations and flew from MCO to LGA, spent the night with my daughter in NYC.

The next morning - the day of my trip - I thought I better call the airline and make sure they don't cancel my trip as I am not getting on in Phoenix. The result - Stacy in a snarky tone - told me that it now cancelled my entire trip. I asked for a supervisor. Long delay (presumably while she told Marie all about it) then Marie got on the line and in a similar less than helpful and very aloof tone informed me that since I made the mistake - it was policy that the entire trip was cancelled. I am in NYC - have business in London and Tel Aviv and am now without any travel reservations. And ZERO help from Marie. After a very long delay, she informs me that she can rebook this for $6,500! I paid less than $1500 for the entire trip originating from Phoenix initially! Oh, they GRACIOUSLY agreed to waive the $300 change fee - like that was going to make all the difference.

I ended up paying $1800 for just the leg to London. I rebooked - on my own through CheapOair - another flight (better schedule) for $1250 for the London, Tel Aviv-Phoenix flights. Interestingly it was a partner airline of American - British Airways but Marie never gave that option. I board the same flight that I was originally scheduled for that was so empty that people were able to take full rows and lay down. But AA had to really overcharge me for that - again - a mere Platinum member. The two groups around me both shared their horror stories for the same flight - literally all of us had a negative experience with AA for this specific flight!

I wrote to AA customer service and Carmen responded that since I didn't board, I negated the flight. You only have 2,000 characters for this so not a lot of space. I responded that I had actually called - twice about this prior to the trip. She called me - I answered and said that I was on international rates so if she was going to just indicate there was nothing she could do - we might as well hang up. I should have done that as this was the result.

I do travel on Southwest and NEVER have an issue with them - and they are friendly and helpful. I can rebook a trip and not have devastating consequences. I wish they flew everywhere I need to go. But I will be booking a lot more on SW within the US - clearly it is not worth trying to get miles to maintain a status with American - no such thing as a valued customer!

4th flight from Miami to Santiago delayed but this one took the cake. Had a very important meeting and the flight was delayed for 12 hours. No desire to help, they make you feel as if they are doing you a favor. Plus I have to throw a mission to get my refund, horribleee!!!

It started with me unable to check in online. Then, upon arrival at the airport, I PAID to upgrade to priority boarding to ensure my carry-on bag fit. However, because my bag had 2 components, the gate TOOK one of my bags forcing it to be checked. I had no other checked bags and completely tailored my trip around only having carry-on and not checking bags. They refused to listen, work with me, or consider doing a gate check that did not require me to go to baggage claim. HORRIBLE.

In a domestic flight I was not allow to board because I was 5 minutes late boarding the plane after 10 minute of opening the gate. I guess their policy is that you have a narrow window of 10 Minutes after boarding begins to board your plane. If you don't board within the 10 minute rule, they close the plane. Well I learned the AA policy is that if you're not there within those 10 minutes. You lose to your flight. And they put you in the next flight with caring the impact it causes. If the flight changes gates and if you have to run to the next gate you need to run and beat the 10-minute rule. Very rude customer service.

American Airlines out of Philadelphia today had people checking bags as you walk to screening. "Your bag is too big you have to check it." The same size bag I have used for 20 years. A lot of upset passengers. And they do not care. I use to be AAdvantage Platinum. Stopped flying with them for bad service and treatment. First flight with them in a long time and now I am reminded why I quit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

I took flight TO227 on the 27th of January out of LAX to Kona. Upon arriving at Kona My bag was not there. American Airlines was no help finding it. Finally a woman from Hawaiian Air at another counter called a friend at LAX to try to track down my bag. For some reason my bag had been sent to San Francisco instead of the Hawaii which was a straight flight. After opening my bag I found out why my bag had been opened. Multiple things had been stolen out of it. Called American Airlines, talk to their complaint department, was told to file paperwork and six to eight weeks they would contact me. Didn't take them 6 to 8 weeks to steal my things. Very disappointed American Airlines. Very disappointed in the entire flight. I am a retired member of the special forces firefighter EMT and member of the Mountain Rescue Association. I have never been treated worse by an Airlines. Will never fly American Airlines again.

Dear American Airlines, Sean, Kerry, Robert, Mr. Doug Parker, I know chances are you won't read this email, in fact I can almost predict in the next 24 hours I will get a call from AA Customer Service stating they are sorry but "Policy is Policy and it is out of their hands". But honestly I would hope that a global Organization who just came off a Record Profit 2015, and a $737 Billion Dollar 3rd Quarter might pay some attention to one of their Advantage members who continue to fund and support your Airlines.

I ended 2016 with approx. 98,750 miles with 3 trips planned in the first 2 weeks of January. I had filed numerous complaints about missing miles from Flights (which would have put me over the 100,000 miles to reach my "Executive Platinum" Status). After 6 emails to Advantage customer care to fix the Mileage it has never been taken care of. I wrote a few weeks ago and got a call from Customer service only to tell me, "You need to talk to Advantage Customer care, would you like that number."

I spend months away from my wife and Family for work, and the only comfort I have in my travels is my hotel Chain (Hilton) and my Airline preference (American). I am respectfully asking you to please reconsider my Loyalty and advance my Advantage program to where I should rightfully be. I have saved all emails regarding the missing flight credits, but they have all led to the same question "Do you still have your original boarding pass because we need the number on your original boarding pass." I don’t save my original paper copies of a boarding pass, in fact I use my phone for my boarding passes.

Last night (2-1-17) I was returning home to Phoenix from PHL on Flight 1881 as I walked towards the gate to get in line to board the plane I overheard a young lady talking to another group of women (all were what appeared to AA Flight Crew) I heard the younger ** woman talking about how she couldn't stand "Needy ass passengers". I ignored it and continued to my gate astonished that an AA representative would say that within ears shot of all these passengers. As I took my seat and buckled in (Seat **) we took off I was delighted to be going home a nice 5 hour flight would give me plenty of time to catch up on work. Oh wait no Wi-fi on this flight. Oh well nice excuse to relax.

After taking off and reaching a cruising altitude the crew began to prepare for drink and snack service. I had read somewhere that Advantage members were entitled to 1 free drink and a specialty snack, normally I would buy it but I was next to the window and my wallet was in my carry on above me in the storage bin. As the crew approached I saw her, the same young lady I saw talking to her friends in the terminal. The first lady passed me and didn't ask if I wanted anything, the second girl (the younger one I had overheard earlier) looked at me and I asked, "Can I get a soft drink, and a fruit and Cheese plate?" She pointed to older one and said to me, "You don't listen very well do you?" I pretended not to hear her as I was shocked she would say that to me.

She handed me a drink cup and a fruit platter and put her hand out as if to say give me money. I told her that I had read as a platinum member that I got a free Drink and specialty Snack. In front of the other passengers seated next to me she stated (in a very Stern voice), "Well your Status isn't high enough, I will give you a drink for free but I hope you don't think you are getting any food for free. That’s not how this works." She made me feel like I was a homeless person begging for a scrap to eat. I told her I would have to get up to get my wallet out of my carry on. She said she would bring it back as she swiped the cheese tray from my hand. Mind you I had been up since 4 am had not eaten that day and was on my 2nd flight. Each time she walked by for the next almost 5 hours I would try to raise her attention and she would look away from me each time.

I cannot begin to tell you how I felt on this flight. Enraged, embarrassed, and let down. I don’t like being away from home. I really don't but at least when I’m away from home I like to know that my loyalty is appreciated. In closing, I am a former Delta Medallion Diamond Member, and last week received a letter in the mail saying they would match my current Status level with my current airline. I have been tempted in the past to switch back because of the numerous delays, cancellations, treatment, but never until these 2 most recent events have I been seriously considering it until now.

I have traveled to over 35 countries and been to every continent in the world. This was by far the worst flying experience of my life. A flight attendant was so rude and disrespectful that I was left crying for the remainder for my flight from London to New York. I will never use American Airlines again.

We fly frequently and have NEVER experienced the number of mechanical issues and crew deficiencies that we had on both the departing and returning flights Seattle to Guayaquil, Ecuador January 5-16, 2017. We arrived 27 hours late in Quito and then returned to Seattle 28 hours late. Yes, 55 hours of delays in one trip and all were due to mechanical and crew issues, not weather. We were shuttled to 3 different airport hotels, customer service was poor, a flight that was scheduled to serve dinner gave us pretzels because "the food has been sitting out too long", and the recurring theme from pilots, crew and desk staff was the implication that the situation was being mismanaged at a higher level.

All the airplanes we flew on were old--when was the last time you saw ash trays and cigarette lighter chargers in Business Class? If AA is going to fly old airplanes they need to upgrade their interiors and maintenance protocols. As Scott McCartney from the Wall Street Journal wrote January 11, 2017: American’s numbers improved, but the biggest airline in the world remained the worst in the scorecard for the second year in a row with the highest rates of canceled flights and lost luggage. American has ranked last or next-to-last all nine years of the scorecard. I had heard stories about America's poor service, I believe all of them after our experience!

Very disappointed in AA customer service. Scheduled recent trip to leave CAE, travel through Charlotte, destination GCM (Cayman Islands) for a short "getaway" before Christmas. Plane loaded in CAE, no problem. However after sitting on the tarmac 30 minutes was told there was a "mechanical issue" and needed to go back to the terminal for service. Don't get me wrong. I prefer all issues like this be resolved on the ground! But, when we got back to the terminal the customer service was horrible because the manager was very rude, insisting that everyone who had waited in one line was in the wrong and had to go to the back of another line (an employee who had just gone on break had actually directed our party to where we waited).

By the time I was finally seen, it was obvious there was no way I would make my connecting flight in CLT, but was offered the ability to be on "stand-by" for a sold out flight later that day in Charlotte. No offer to cover my cost in Charlotte if I had to overnight it, though. So, while missing out on one of just three days in Paradise, I opted to be redirected to the same flight plan the following day. I suggested that I would be happy to drive the 2 hour trip the next morning to avoid this same issue the next day and was told by the agent that this never happens two days in a row and not to worry... right.

Well the next day I'm waiting for my plane (at CAE) and 30 minutes before flight time there's no plane at the terminal and I get nervous enough to find an agent. She tells me they are servicing it, but it's probably at least delayed if not cancelled. So, I know that if I start driving immediately to Charlotte I "might" catch my connection, if lucky. I presented this thought to the agent who offered to put me in a taxi, and 30 minutes after that I was on the road. I made my next flight, but only because that plane was 45 minutes off schedule (and yes, the flight from CAE had been cancelled again). My real problem with American on this trip was they insisted they almost never have a problem two days in a row - however, the taxi driver tells me that 5 days out of seven he has to take passengers for that same flight to Charlotte! He even told me that he is on a retainer with them. It's so bad. Seems like the world's largest airline could do better.

I flew to Philadelphia on Jan. 24, 2017, to visit and help care for my Father after a fall. My return ticket was for Mar. 3, 2017 to San Diego. Shortly after I arrived, My Father had to be hospitalized for complications and early the next morning he Passed away. I waited for a couple of days to see to arrangements with my Family and decided to return home after the cremation. I called American Airlines to explain the situation and change my original ticket and arrange for a flight on Feb. 1, 2017 back to San Diego. The Ticket agent informed me that I would have to pay $200 plus the difference in the ticket price. Then they informed me that the lowest price ticket would be $438. I then searched other possibilities and got a United Flight for $268 from PHL to SAN with only 1 stop. It is obvious who I will fly with in the future!

In November I purchased a ticket for a cousin in Fresno, Ca to meet me in Key West, Flo on Dec. 9th 2016. Three days prior to departure my cousin had a heart attack. Her physician advised her not to fly. I immediately cancelled the ticket then applied for a refund. I sent in a Doctor's medical advice waiver along with the refund request. Upon checking my refund status electronically on Jan. 20, '17 I was informed that a letter had been mailed to me December 16, 2016. I have not received this letter. I called and was told I did get a "refund" in the form of an open ticket for my cousin to fly sometime in the future. I would like my $400 back as it is impossible for me to make any future plans. I will keep trying - and if I do get satisfaction I will change this review but, for now - I am completely disgusted with American Airlines.

It is 01/23/17 at 12:10 am. I am sitting on one of those uncomfortable seats at Reagan Airport waiting to board. My 01/22/17 flight (#4385) from DC airport to Buffalo NY was scheduled at 10:15 pm but delayed until 1:15 am. This is the second time I am experiencing a 3 hour delay on my return flight with American Airlines from DC Airport. If you have flight connections, do not take this company because they are never on time and they don't accommodate their customers with water or snacks to kill time. Restaurants are closed and as courtesy, they should at least offer refreshment like JetBlue does with their customers when experiencing delays. ** customer service. American Airlines, there is no bad weather conditions anywhere as I am checking so I paid a full price for you to get me where I am supposed to be on a timely fashion. If you cannot respect that contract, have the courtesy to make the waiting less painful for your customers.

Flight 1473 Jan 12 from Atlanta to DFW, flight 3632 DFW to Tyler. Reason of travel: MEDICINE RESIDENCY INTERVIEW. The flight was full and announcement was made for compulsory check in for all carry-on bags. But when I boarded, the AA person did not ask me to check it in. She did not even look at my face if I have any questions. She was not at all professional while dealing with me.

When I went inside the plane, there was no space for the bag. I asked the flight attendant, she did not answer what she is going to do, was talking to two customers at one time. Then a second lady just walks in, takes my carry on, DID NOT ASK MY NAME OR FOR MY BOARDING PASS OR MY DESTINATION OF TRAVEL, just took my carry on and left. She came back after 5 min and gave me the check in ticket. The ticket did not have destination written on it. Destination column was blank. She did not tell me anything from where to pick my bag. And by the time I looked up and tried to talk to her, she just walked away without asking if I have any questions.

I landed at DFW for my connecting flight to Tyler. I went to the AA representative at DFW to ask if I have to pick my carry-on here as my ticket did not have any destination written on it. The lady WITHOUT LOOKING AT MY TICKET "at your FINAL DESTINATION." And then I did not receive my bag in Tyler. (AA checked it in for DALLAS, without informing me).

I landed at around 6:30 PM in Tyler. I went to the AA counter, told the guy: "I have an interview tomorrow; I need my bag urgently as I have no suit to wear." The guy assured me that there is another flight coming at around 9, so I do not need to worry. I called the baggage customer service at 8 PM about the urgency of bag as I had an interview next day. The lady told me: "Call us at 9 PM to confirm, you will receive your bag at around 10 PM." I called at 9 PM, the lady tells me "I am sorry your bag is still in Dallas and the flight is about to fly, there is nothing we can do. I am writing an email about the urgency." You guys have no sense of responsibility. Why was the email not written when I called at 8 PM. At least you should NOT have assured me that I will receive my bag in the next flight so that I could have gone out and shopped. Now at 9 PM everything is close.

I made a third call at around 10 PM, now the lady told me: "The 9 PM flight is delayed, but we cannot call anyone in DFW, we can only email them about the urgency of the bag." SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS CANNOT EVEN REACH YOUR OWN FOLKS IN DFW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO ARE IN trouble because of your poor service. Why did not the lady inform me earlier that the flight is delayed.

I made a fourth call at around 11 PM, asking if my bag is put on the delayed flight. I was planning to drive to Dallas to pick my bag. Now the guy told me: "Maybe it was put on the delayed flight but our system takes a while to update so we are not sure if it's still in Dallas. So NOW I CANNOT EVEN DRIVE TO DALLAS TO PICK MY CARRY ON because there was no surety if it is still in DALLAS or not. I was up all night chasing my bag. I flew from Atlanta to Tyler for an interview. Do you guys have any idea how much it take to get into medical school and how important a residency interview is?

I made a fifth call at around 11:30 PM when I was told it's still in Dallas and there is another flight at 10 AM. I will receive my bag at around 10:30 AM. My interview was at noon. But now I knew how irresponsible and nonprofessional AA service is, I was not counting on them and their fake promises. AND to no surprise I did not even receive it in the flight at 10 Am.

Why do not you tell the customers straight that your service is the poorest and they are on their own in situations like this. It did not end here, when I asked for reimbursement, I was told AA will not cover for renting a car. How do you guys expect me to shop for everything from a toothbrush to an interview suit without a car. I spent around 500 dollars on renting a car and shopping, not to mention about the emotional harassment I suffered. Forget about the money, do you guys HAVE ANY IDEA HOW VALUABLE IT IS TO GET AN INTERVIEW IN A MEDICINE RESIDENCY PROGRAM? My advice to all of you NEVER TRAVEL WITH AA especially if you are going for an interview or any important business trip.

I am writing in relation to the review written by Marie from Dublin. I would be delighted to get involved and answer any questions. I am unsure how to contact you, and can confirm that the flight AA722 from Philadelphia to Dublin 7th Jan was cancelled due to maintenance and staff issues. The pilot explained what was happening in the cockpit, that the maintenance crew could not solve the issue and he, the pilot made the decision to cancel the flight. Please contact me. A very disgusted customer of American Airlines.

At 0030 am on AA flight 438, I tried to help my friend with her laptop, and she was in first class. She has a disability. I went to first class and the attendant said I can't sit next to my friend. I asked why. She said because the "seat was paid for", but no one was sitting there at all. I said "I don't understand. There's no one here." She then said that she is going to call security, but I didn't threaten or yell at her at all. I just wanted to know why I couldn't be there for a moment, and her answer was unacceptable. I got up and went back to my seat. I felt very disrespected and this was poor customer service. After a few minutes, I apologized to her because I'm not confrontational and I want to work out problems. But she said "I'm still going to call security and you need to leave first class." She didn't even accept my apology, so I wasted my breath trying to work out an issue.

I was very embarrassed when the cops were waiting for me as soon as I got out. I told them what's in the upper paragraphs. The SEATAC AA customer service representative was there. He was rude as well. He didn't want to hear my friend's side of the story, and he would ask her questions about me even though I was right there. His name is Michale **. When my friend mentioned she felt disrespected because she was black and had a disability, Michale literally turns around and walked away.

I'm a full time firefighter, a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy Reserves, and I have my Associates, Bachelors, and Masters. I have a secret clearance, my TSA precheck and GOES card. So I'm not a fool. I deal with customers as a firefighter and EMT, and I treat them with respect. The attendant in 1st class was extremely disrespectful and I don't appreciate it. I will never fly American Airlines again. Please screen your people because obviously, she can't handle being in customer service.

OMG! I took an AA flight from Madrid to New York on Jan 9th 2017; and I might have done better taking a military C130. First and foremost for a TransAtlantic flight it doesn't compete with any other. It is by far the worst and they seem proud of it. The planes are dirty; the flight attendants are with no exaggeration rude and disrespectful. The food is atrocious and the airline has a terrible issue with punctuality. I'm a Proud American and have always been a Union guy; but this airline is not American and are a disservice to Union Employees. Terrible! Terrible, terrible!

I booked a flight for my wife and myself, but had occasion to make changes that resulted in a lesser fare, $99 per ticket. American issued travel vouchers by mail that were so involved, we couldn't figure out how to retrieve them. When we finally figured it out after several phone calls, American said they expired and refused to extend them. I wrote the CEO, but he ignored my letter. I complained to Customer Service twice, but they refused to do anything except encourage me to fly with American again. I have been ripped off for $198 by American Airlines, and refuse to fly with them again. My last flight, I went out of my way to fly a different airline to an adjacent city and rent a car to get to my destination. Adios American.

Travel on a multi-destination business trip. Had 3 flights and all delayed for mechanical reasons. I mean really delayed 1 to 4 hours each time. This flight even the employee are jumping off. Someone needs to stay up on maintenance schedules and not do at the gates when ready to leave. So bad!

We traveled to the US in April 16. For us it was the trip of a lifetime but since has caused us so much stress. I wish I had never booked with American Airlines. When we got to Miami from Florida, the seats we were issued were all separate to one another, in different aisles. Now considering my children are only 7 and 10, we could hardly believe they could do this. When I questioned this at the departure gate, the very flustered attendant said they were only obliged to seat us, not sit us together even though we had young children. When I asked how they could sit my children next to strangers and expect them to fit my children's oxygen masks should there be an emergency, they just repeated what they had already said. None of the other passengers around us could believe what they were asking us to do. So the reason for the flustered attendant, they had overbooked the flights and didn't have enough seats.

They annoyed to see if anyone would fly the next day and I went to the desk to see if that would mean we could sit together, they said yes and we were also told we would get a meal voucher, a hotel for the night and flight vouchers to compensate us. We were told these vouchers could be used on American Airlines but also it's One World partners of which there were many including British Airways. Great... seemed ideal and worth missing a days work for. A couple of months later when we wanted to use the vouchers, we realized just what an absolute farce these vouchers are. To say that American Airlines made it hard for us to redeem them would be an absolute understatement.

They also had duped us because yes you can use these vouchers with One World airlines but American Airlines have to be the main carrier. So let's say you have enough vouchers to take a flight from the UK to Spain with British Airways who is a One World Airline, you can't because you have to fly American Airlines as your main flight, now because AA do not fly to these places, half the world is out of the question. Then there is the fact that how to redeem your vouchers is like trying to find out some sort of Government Top Secret (not on the back of the voucher) coupled with the fact that no-one at AA seems to have any idea of how to redeem them. (We were told several different things by several different people). It was really really stressful. We spent hours and hours on the phone trying to sort this out which cost us in the region of £30 in phone calls.

Eventually after about a week of constant phone calls (this is the short version of my stressful week) we managed to find out how to book our flights. We didn't want to return to America so quickly after visiting but it seemed that it was the only sensible option. Now you would think that you choose your flights, phone AA with your chosen flights and they redeem your vouchers taking the voucher value off the cost of your flight. Oh no you have to send your vouchers to them in the post. BE WARNED if your vouchers get lost in the post, you have lost them forever and your flights will not be honoured. Who in this day and age asks you to post something that is worth so much money? We posted ours in the most secure way possible and did it tracked, signed for, everything... we were not taking ANY chances. So the vouchers got there, good old Royal Mail and we got confirmation of our flights.

Now because we were told our flights came to more than the value of our vouchers, we had to top up these vouchers with cash which we used a bank card for. We were then surprised a few weeks later to receive some more American Airlines vouchers. We had no idea why we had received £80 of vouchers, no one had told us why, no letter was included given any explanation. More phone calls to AA.

This is how the emails and phone calls went. "Why have we got these vouchers, they are no good to us, we can't use them?" "Oh they are because we overcharged you." "Oh, you mean the money we paid you on our bank card? So can we have a refund on our card instead?" "No we only give vouchers." "Sorry we don't understand. We have paid you cash how can you not give us it back." "We are not obliged to, we can only give you vouchers we don't have any means to refund a British bank account." "Hang on you took the money from us and now you are saying you can't refund us, are you kidding?"

Imagine going into a sweet shop with a £5 sweet shop voucher and the shopkeeper saying your sweets come to £8 so you need to pay me £3 in cash which you duly hand over. Then they say, "Oh sorry I made a mistake with my adding up, your sweets only come to £5 after all but you can't have your money back, I can only give you vouchers back to spend in my sweet shop." It is a joke and I believe it should be a crime. So now we are £80 out of pocket to a company that doesn't give two hoots and no way of getting that money back off them. To say we are dumbstruck with their audacity, rudeness and complete lack of customer care.

I arrived at the airport during the Christmas season for my international flight only to learn that AA is now charging $25 for a check bag that meets the weight requirement. This only shows that the AA administration have ABSOLUTELY NO CONSCIENCE. Most travellers on an international flight usually check on one bag since this is not a flight that one usually return to the U.S. the next day. So, many who can barely afford the original high AA fare were confronted with this unknown charge not only going outside of the U.S. but returning. Unfortunately, AA is the only airline from Miami International Airport that travels to Kingston, Jamaica since the closure of Air Jamaica. So, there is no competition at that airport. However, Miami travellers need to find other options that are certainly available outside of Miami International airport instead of flying on AA. I certainly will take those options in the future.

Arrived at the airport to find out that AA had overbooked our tiny flight by 11 people. Not 1 or 2 but 11. My friend and I were 2 of the Lucky Uhmmmm I mean unlucky ones to board. After boarding we were told that our pilot did not show up. Keep in mind this is a very small plane and I am 6'8. I can handle a quick 50-minute plane ride, however we were stuck on this plane for 3 hours! Then we were told that our flight was cancelled due to fog. If the darn pilot had shown up on time we would have missed the fog. There were women with babies that were extremely upset and finally after an hour we were offered a drink.

Once were finally got off the plane we stood in line to speak with an AA rep. She told us that they would not be compensating anyone because the flight was cancelled due to weather. That was true, however our flight was scheduled for take off at 5 pm and it was cancelled at 9pm! Not to mention, the bus they wanted to put us on was booked. The flight out in the morning was booked with the 11 people they had screwed over earlier and then they told us we were welcome to go sleep on some cots and they could get us out on WED! It's SUNDAY! Does AA think people can just take days off due to their mistakes? We finally rented a car. On our own dollar. No luggage. I'm sure we will have to find our luggage at our expense. This airline is failing. Your passengers should be your #1 priority! You should be ashamed of yourselves and the way you are running your business!

We were getting ready to leave for our flight from Sioux Falls, SD to Cancun via Dallas Dec 26, 2016. We got a call at noon our 3:30 flight had been cancelled due to weather. Not one other flight from any other airline had cancelled any flights out of Sioux Falls. No other flights out they could re-book us on. So, we had to drive 2 1/2 hours to Omaha, NE and pay for a hotel room to get on a flight at 7 the next morning. We got on the plane in Omaha and waited for a half hour to be told the flight would be cancelled due to mechanical issues. We could not get on anything until noon to Dallas causing us to miss our connection to Cancun. The ONLY thing they could do to get us to Cancun was fly us to Dallas, to Los Angeles and then to Cancun. We had three kids with us. It was horrible. So, we sat at the airport in Omaha to get on a noon flight. We then sat in Dallas until 7 pm.

When we got to the gate we were told we had to check our bags to our final destination. After all of the mess we had been through, we asked if they could put it in the holder to see if it was okay to put in the upper bins. They tried my 12 year old daughter's first. Her wheel got stuck as they tried to put it in and immediately pulled it out and said it didn't fit. Told us we had to check them all. I asked if they could try again since the wheel was stuck and they ignored me. My 14 year old son took it and started to put it back in the holder to measure it when a male gate agent came and ripped it out of his hands. I begged they let us try it.

At that point we had been traveling for 12 hours with another 12 hours ahead of us. I couldn't handle our baggage not making it since we had another connection in LA. I tried to let them know what we had been through when he started shouting the FAA is watching and waving his arms in the air. I kind of looked around and asked can we just gate check it then since that's what the previous flight did. She kept on shouting that they were watching. Finally I gave in and got on the flight with the baggage checked. As I was finding my seat, which was conveniently located in the last row of the plane I hear the flight attendants talking about people who don't want to check their bags. And how they don't need their money, people like that can fly with someone else. Note to self... So, when I turned around after having been through the guy screaming at us and taking stuff away from my kids and told him I heard it and didn't appreciate it, he said he never said that. Really?

We got to LA at 9 pm and waited to board our last flight at 11:30 pm. We got to Cancun at 6 am the following morning. Not once did anyone apologize to us for any of the inconveniences. We got no reimbursement for any food during our stay in the airports. No reimbursement for the hotel room. No apology. Nobody who cared. Nobody. We decided to put it all behind us and enjoy our time in Cancun. We had to pay an extra two nights since we lost two of our vacation days. They didn't help us with that, though I wouldn't have expected it.

So we got up at 4 the morning we had to leave to get to the airport for our 7 am flight. We got there, cancelled. Couldn't get us on a flight until noon. So, again we sat in the airport until noon, not once being reimbursed for food, no apology. Instead, we were treated by the staff in the airport like we were an inconvenience to them that they had to find a flight to put us all on. Funny enough though, we got to gate check our bags all of the way home. Guess the FAA only "watches" in Dallas. I will NEVER, EVER fly American again.

My husband and I experienced the worst customer service while attempting to check-in for our flight #776 at Phoenix Sky Harbor International airport on the morning of 1/15/2017. The printer on the machine we were using was not working and so it was unable to print our boarding passes. My husband went up to an AA employee to ask for assistance and this worker, whose name is Star, was extremely unprofessional and rude. She gave my husband an attitude and told him to go to the customer service counter. As he did that I stayed by the machine with our luggage in case our boarding passes printed. It was at that point that Star looked over at me and shouted: "I don't know why you're just standing there staring at your luggage. I told you to move to the customer service line." It was very unprofessional.

Furthermore, as I walked over to the CS line Star just kept talking to me in a very condescending manner. When I inquired about her and pointed her out to another employee, we were told that Star is a supervisor and that I was the fourth person who had complained about her attitude in the last 15 minutes. I'm stunned that American Airlines would employ someone so unprofessional and who lacks basic manners, let alone have this person as a supervisor representing your company. We travel constantly all over the world and have never experienced such terrible, disrespectful service from any airline employee. Ever. It is even more shocking that Star is in a managerial position. Who does one go to for assistance if that is the attitude of a supervisor?

As we were leaving my husband asked her for her name because he wanted to file a complaint. She confirmed that her name is Star and then shooed him away and said "Yeah, whatever. Do whatever you want." Wow. It is almost as if this woman wants to get fired or even worse, she gave us the impression that she has gotten away with this type of deplorable behavior for so long that she feels she's untouchable. We truly hope American Airlines takes this matter seriously. This woman does not deserve to represent your airline or any company in any capacity. She should be ashamed of herself. On a final note, we're from Philly so if we're stunned by this type of attitude in Phoenix that should tell you a lot.

I am frequent traveler to America and travel 4 times a year internationally. On I bought a return ticket, from ISB to SLC. When I bought the ticket they told me, if I change the date of the ticket it will cost me $80. So I had to cancel the date and when I went back to confirm a new date, they told me I have to pay $650. Really? I checked online for a new ticket price and it was $560. So first of all they are asking me the price that they didn't commit with me. Secondly the price is more than to buy a new ticket. What the heck?

Purchased round trip ticket from McCarran international to Dallas FW. Declared firearm, followed all procedures, unloaded, locked hard sided case. Was told by agent that she didn't know what she was inspecting, as she had me open my luggage, then gun case. Gave me my declared form to sign, and all was ok. Placed a BOS ticket on my bag, which required Dallas FW to hand deliver my bag to the Staff window, and me to present my luggage tag to pick up. Didn't happen. My bag was on the turnstile, where myself or anyone else could have taken it.

Flying back did same steps, but agent told me my magazine had to be unloaded, not the firearm. So I had to unload the clip at the check in counter, with lots of people around me, luggage opened, and firearm case completely open and visible. She then told me she'd have to keep the ammunition. She advised that the Airline's policy overrode the TSA rules, which I followed to the T. So I arrived back to McCarran with a firearm, and no ammo, basically a paper weight. I'm happy to abide by the rules, as a responsible gun owner, and CCW permit holder, but it's difficult when they change by the agent checking you in.

We recently traveled to KOA for an 18 day holiday break. I booked using my Citi AAdvantage card as there was a savings in the form of a statement credit. The flight was nearly sold out so space was a premium. Upon boarding the plane, we quickly realized we are in a very old Boeing 767-300 that doesn't appear to have received any kind of upgrade in the last decade (or longer). Tube televisions hung from the ceiling, there were no overhead air vents, no wi-fi or other modern amenities such as power at every seat. My headrest was broken and the seats were extremely tight, making the 8.5 hour flight beyond uncomfortable - not to mention a metal box affixed to the base of the seat in front of me resulting in only enough leg room for one leg to be extended at a given time.

Aside from the plane itself, the flight attendants were pleasant and a complimentary wrap with chips and cookies were provided. Unless they upgrade this plane, I would likely choose to have a brief layover at LAX or SFO rather than the quick and efficient non-stop option via DFW (for the sake of being able to stretch and charge portable devices). The return flight was fortunately on a different aircraft, still a 767 but a bit more modern. Still no in-flight wi-fi or in-seat entertainment though. Because they were behind by 45 minutes, the flight attendants offered a one-time complimentary cocktail at dinner service.

We travel very frequently and have never experienced a trip this poor. First we were an hour late which they blamed on a travel attendant not showing up which is a joke. That would never happen that a flight attendant could hold up a full flight for over an hour. Then our trip home late again and after the freezing miserable flight we had to sit on the tarmac for almost an hour because there was no gate to pull into. Many missed their connecting flights. One lady said she has had to travel AA for work and this is always the case. They are always late and could care less about their guests. Would never recommend this company to anyone. Hard to figure how they became the largest airlines in the industry.

My wife and I left Phoenix Sunday morning January 1st for Cancun for our 25th wedding anniversary. Flight ended up being an hour late leaving Phoenix. Airlines came over the speaker announcing that the delay was due to one of the flight attendants not showing up for work (does it really take an hour to find a replacement)? Hopefully that attendant no longer has a job with your company. On the way home we were late taking off again but only 15 minutes this time. Unfortunately when we landed in Phoenix we sat on the tarmac for another 45 minutes because the plane had no gate to pull up to. A number of folks on the plane missed their adjoining flight because of the delay. Have never flown on American Airlines before and probably never will again.

Cancelled Flight AA722 Philadelphia Dublin - Could anyone travelling on this flight please email me at **. I have set up this email address to collate passenger information to establish collateral on the information we were given that there was a technical fault with the airline. As you are all aware, American Airlines denied us our rights at 1am by refusing to accommodate hundreds of passengers when their customer services insisted it was weather related despite the announcement otherwise and I am interested in pursuing this matter under EU law. All the best.

Compare Airlines