1.17/5

American Airlines Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3023 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I was recently on a flight, and just before we were to land, the entire headrest of the seat fell off in first class. It was a huge safety issue. The flight prior, the entire seat cushion came off. I reported to the flight attendant and it didn’t seem to matter. A flight before that I was in an exit seat. Flight attendant said the window had to be open for takeoff. The shade was broken. I kept trying to tell her, and she just rolled eyes and walked away. I’m an executive member, and will be giving up my status to go back to Delta.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Well it appears the American Airline powers that be have finally reduced the space for legroom on the new planes. It seems that they have added approximately twenty new seats on the newly refurbished planes. So if you are taller than four feet eleven, then you are definitely going into claustrophobia immediately. On my last flight I sat next to a guy who was six foot three. And he had absolutely no place to put his knees. I eventually offered my seat, which was on the aisle and he had a bit more room. Until the service carts came.

There are no TV screens, no movies and the attendants are back to doing safety drills physically like in the old old days. It's bad enough one has to deal with the attitudes of 90% of the ground staff and then have to bunched up like pigs on truck to slaughter. Next time you're flying you will know what I mean. Especially if you fly a lot as I do. It's insane how they can get away with this, when in fact it is a HUGE safety factor in terms of being able to get people off a plane in an emergency. So as usual, someone will have to die before they get that squeezing you in a tube for more money is pathetic at best.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I fly American frequently. They always push the credit cards. The promise is 50000 miles if you get the card and make any purchase with the card within 30 days. They also promise another 500 miles if you fill the form while on the flight. I have had the card for a long time. I got my wife to get one so she could get some miles also. There is a $95 fee that is charged as soon as you get the card but it is worth it for a couple of free flights.

My wife and I have been fighting the credit card company for months now to get those miles she was promised. She actually spent about $1300 on the card and when I called a couple of months in to see about the miles they said she would get them in the next billing cycle. She never got the miles. Now they are saying that she had to spend $3000 on the card within 3 months and she did not do it so "tough". We canceled the card but it takes my blood pressure up a couple of points every time I hear the flight attendants telling the same old lie.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had many miles with US Airlines and was very happy until the airline merged with AA. I fly to Michigan from CA often and my experience is Terrible. With AA it is almost impossible to get an upgrade or they make it so complicated I don't even try. Furthermore, if you try to book a flight with miles they charge you more miles for specific times. For example, they offer 12,500 mile for the unfavorable times or 2 layovers and miles go up as you get popular times or weekends. And to top it off their miles expire in a year. Comfort is a joke. The planes are small and getting smaller. No TV screens on seats and when I tried to use my own laptop could not get WIFI to even view a movie they offered as in flight.

Last, I got their platinum credit card and paid 200.00 annually for their companion ticket. The catch is you have to spend 30,000 to qualify for the companion ticket. I tied to downgrade and they were nasty and said I have to cancel. I plan to! I have been with them since 2001. No loyalty. Compared to Delta, I can’t believe an airline can function with such bad service. Even the staff seems unhappy. Where is customer service? Basically they are looking for ways to shaft the consumer not create happy customers.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Won’t ever fly with this airline again. Throughout my entire flight experiences with various airlines (to include flights throughout my military service) I’ve never been so upset with the airline employees. I asked a simple clarification question regarding where I will be picking up my carry on luggage that had to be checked due to overhead space being full and received a rude, snarky reply. Just because I choose to not pay extra for extra room doesn’t mean I should be treated like crap. Aside from that, what’s up with all the group numbers. Seriously, group 9 exists. Jeez! Never booking with this airline again. 0 out of 5 stars. This occurred at the Austin, TX airport.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

The departing plane was so small that you could barely sit upright. Arrived on time at Charlotte but have been waiting over 3 hrs for my connecting flight. Was being stalked by a manager or supervisor. I wish I never took the trip. Complete waste of money. Don't use this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

After 2 hours delay due to “technical problems“ we were allowed to board the plane from Philadelphia to Toronto. After sitting on tarmac for almost another hour we were told the plane will return to the gate. We were supposed to board another plane. When lodging a legitimate complain to the flight attendant we heard that we better move otherwise we will not be allowed to board that one as this is the same crew. My wife spoke at the terminal to the captain who said he will investigate. We said we will not tolerate being threaten by people who Supposedly should look after our safety. The flight # AA 4901 - January 13, 2019. Flight supposed to leave at 1:00 pm. I am writing this comment at 4:14 pm and we are still waiting for the outcome of this saga. They now need to refuel the new plane too... Customer be aware that after injury. You are still subject to an insult from American Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

January 6-7, 2019... Flew from San Luis Obispo CA, to Phoenix on a Saturday returning Sunday after a hockey game in Phoenix. Flight from SBP delayed 3 hours, when finally boarding I couldn't help but notice the plane was beyond filthy, absolutely disgusting. I was seated in an exit row, the carpet under my feet soaked in what looked like grease and was smeared on the walls and seats around me. My feet literally stuck to the floor as I tried to get comfortable. Bits of food and wrappers, seatbelts frayed and so grimy I couldn't even touch them. I have never seen a plane as disgusting as this one.

Sunday comes enjoying the hockey game, it's about 3:00 pm and planned on being at the airport in Phoenix by 7:00 pm for an 8:30 pm flight, when we get a text that our flight had been cancelled and rebooked for Wednesday, 3 days later. Now we are spending the rest of the hockey game trying to book a flight since we can't sit around for 3 days in Phoenix. Managed to get a flight on Southwest to LA, rented a car and drove home. Got a text Wednesday that our flight for Wednesday had been cancelled and booked on another airlines. Never, ever again with American Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Worst ever. Lazy workers just point and say "Over there" when asked a question. 9 of 10x they are wrong. Newark is disgusting. Workers are incompetent and don't care at all about the job. Dirty place. Understaffed. I will never ever come back. I'd rather travel double the miles to JFK. How about getting people that care. and know where to check in take a darn 2 seconds to explain rather than point over there. They all congregating and hanging out as if they on the street CORNER. DISGUSTING???

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Jan 7 I flew from Austin to Charlotte. Upon reaching my seat I saw another passenger was seated in it. The male flight attendant standing there asked her if she knew she was in E, saying "Your seat is B, like boy." She said something like "What does it matter?" And I said, 'I don't see why...' but was not allowed to finish. The lady in my seat yelled, "YOU DON'T SEE WHY WHAT"? And I was just stunned as all I was trying to say was I don't see why it would be a problem, just document it in your log please. I am standing there with a psycho lady yelling and this flight crew guy said, "Well, if you want EVERYBODY to MOOOOVE" as if I had a problem or issue.

All I wanted was to have my seat that I had paid for and sit down in it or at least have the flight crew change it in their flight log as my previous flight almost crashed during the storms on Jan 2, 2019. So I told the man to update his flight log to indicate that I had been moved and then the crazy lady in my seat said, "I WILL HAVE AN EXCHANGE WITH YOU!!!" And started to stand up, raising her hands and acting very aggressive and threatening. It was totally embarrassing, uncalled for and scary, this absurd woman yelling and being allowed to carry on this way in a quiet cabin full of passengers already seated. What is wrong with people? Why did the flight crew apply blame to me as if I had started this?

The flight crew guy was very condescending to me, the situation had escalated to the lady threatening me and no one told her to shut up, calm down or get off the plane. I did not provoke anything. I was not allowed to have my seat and I wanted it to be documented in case anything happened. The flight crewman then leaned over from behind and shoved a tablet in my face pointing and again condescendingly said, "See? I have changed you, just like you wanted, there you go!" So I had a five hour very uncomfortable flight with no one making eye contact with me. It was humiliating and I plan to pursue a formal complaint with AA.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information