3.21/5
Based on 2,160 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

3265 American Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

I travel 2-3 times per year with one international trip. While I fly from a small City I have reasonably good connections for the domestic destinations I generally fly to. I have had good experiences with their awards program and feel that upcoming changes will benefit me. On flight service has been professional and friendly, maybe because my home air terminal is fairly small. Delta has added a couple of flights recently.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Used to choose the cheapest flight when traveled with family. Finally decided to stick with one for mileage points - chose AA because it had the better value for the cost with the many destinations. Now a retired empty nester I hardly fly but when I do I generally fly business/first class for long flights. I do like the service in business class, even the attendants seem happier, reminds me of when my parents used to take our family to Europe. I've used my points for free flights.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'm always taken care of. Service is great. I've traveled with AA for over 25 years. Never had a problem. Good work guys. I always get the seat I want, the steward are very helpful and customer friendly. Captains always explain when we will be landing, weather conditions and what sights we are flying past or over. I always enjoy my trip.

Original review: March 7, 2019

American Airlines is usually dependable but the last time I flew, there was over a three hour delay from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale. I understand problems unexpectantly pop up, but their updates were truly lacking. They had incorrect verbal messages by their agents, as well as, incorrect new flying time and gate numbers on the board. It was very difficult getting accurate flight info.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My flight this morning was late to take off from Boston due to unexpected snow... Because of this I was worried I wasn’t going to make my connecting flight to Sarasota so I had asked a traveling flight attendant a quick question about it & I was beyond amazed by the response... Cynthia ** for AA airlines went above & beyond helping me out! She walked me thru Washington terminal & even gave up her seat because it was closer so I could make my flight (I didn’t) but it was her kindness & thoughtfulness that made the whole process not as stressful... Thank you Cynthia & Lisa... Because of your kind act I will always look to fly American Airlines first going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Had a flight scheduled on August 5, 2019 from San Diego to Salt Lake City with a stop in Phoenix. The plane coming in to San Diego was delayed and delayed. Maintenance issues we were told. I rescheduled the outbound flight from San Diego for August 6. Had to pay for transportation from and to the airport and forfeited a hotel reservation in Salt Lake due to the delay. When requesting reimbursement for the losses AA customer relations stated plane delay was due to traffic control not maintenance. Total lie! Finally I got a record from Phoenix Airport confirming it was a maintenance issue. Shame on AA. However, by emailing the Customer Relations Senior Manager I managed to get an e-voucher (better than nothing). But I was also told to get travel insurance next time.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

If you have a need for wheelchair access please do not travel with this company. I requested two wheelchairs - one for myself and one for my 4 year old child. I have degenerative arthritis condition that prevents me from walking long distances. Upon arrival at LAX, they did not provide a wheelchair for my child because she didn't have a health condition and told me she would have to walk. A 4 year old child to walk for miles. If you've been to LAX you know how horrible that airport is. I ended up walking and putting my child in the wheelchair. I was beyond exhausted and in pain by the time I reached my next flight. On the way back, I was dropped off at the AA counter, where the AA employees bickered for a good 20 minutes because whoever dropped me off at the counter was supposed to take me all the way my connecting AA flight. They finally got the wheelchair and loaded my child on my lap and rushed me through the airport.

I ended up missing my flight and was told that the next available flight would be the next day. The customer service associate told me that there was nothing she could do. She said her words "This is just how it is". My compassion, not a word of help. I called the client service number and was told it was my fault I was late to board my flight and that the wheelchair service is provided by another company. The client service associate on the phone as I am crying said, "There is nothing we can do. It's your fault." My fault was booking a flight with AA. Never again. I ended up booking another flight with Alaska Airlines and paying $600 extra to get back home. I've filed a claim against them through the Consumer Aviation. They refuse to refund my fare or even acknowledge that they were wrong in treating me this way.

So please please please if you have a disability do not use this airline as they couldn't care less and will treat you like the scum of this earth. The horror stories you see in the news about AA are true! I have never in my life been so humiliated. By the time I got home my legs were extremely swollen, I was barely able to walk and bawling my eyes out. To top that off they lost my luggage. I travel often, but this was my first and last time with AA. I've never experienced anything like this before. Also I've spoken to many people who have had similar experiences and I've come to the conclusion that AA trains their people to be rude and to blame the customer should anything go wrong. So please please please if you chose to fly with them should anything happen they will blame you and make you feel like ** when they are in the wrong.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

My husband had a work convention in Las Vegas so we did our research and decided to book with American Airlines. We flew out of JFK and had to make an emergency landing in Virginia due to a plane malfunction. We were told they would fix it in 30min and had us exit the plane. About 2hrs or more later they then said the plane would not be leaving and have us and the other passengers an option to take hotel vouchers.

Since my husband had to be in Las Vegas we decided to get our luggage and take a taxi to Baltimore airport which the airline did pay for. We waited about 3hrs or so and took another flight to Dallas airport. Our flight was suppose to leave at 7:59 pm but got pushed back again to 8:30. We boarded that plane and waited 1hr to then be told this plane has a malfunction that needs to be fixed which would take 30min. We then was told there would be another flight ready at another gate so we took the Skyline across the airport again.

Once we got to this gate it said we would depart at 10:29 pm. As of 2:14 am the plane still has not departed and is currently showing a departure time of 4 am. American Airlines staff told us as well as the rest of the people a combination of either, they’re checking the plane or there is no pilot, or no officer or the pilot staff timed out. My husband and I has been traveling for 24hrs trying to get to Vegas. My husband already missed his work event for Sunday and more than likely will miss his work event for Monday as well. I have never in my life experienced something like this. I understand planes malfunction and I appreciate my safety however I wish they would have informed us sooner and communicated the issues better. I would never do business with American Airlines again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I would encourage anyone NOT to travel with American Airlines. I book about 40 to 50 flights a week for my employees and I have never experienced such bad customer service. You can't add bags online and as with other airlines you can call and get the bags ordered but not with American. I tried three times to call and order the bags and was hung up on all three times after being on hold an average of 23 minutes. They don't care about their customers! A word of caution, stay away from American. I know going forward my company will no longer be using the worst airline, American.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I sat (2)hrs. in the plane while it idled on tarmac MIA-HOU#1235. The airline simply apologized and offered no further assistance nor concern for those passengers stranded. Sit back (RECLINE) 2 INCHES!! And RELAX?? SPIRIT AIRLINES HAS NOTHING TO ENVY AA. I am a Frequent Flyer... Where is the ADVANTAGE?!?

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information