1.27/5
Based on 214 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Airlines Reviews

2903 American Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I am very disappointed in this airline. They have essentially robbed me and my family. We were scheduled to fly in December 12, 2017 to Puerto Rico and had been saving up to go all out with First Class tickets which is an extreme luxury for us. Due to the devastation of Hurricane Maria we cancelled our flight and were told we had a year to reuse our tickets. I tried to make my new reservation on Aug. 10, 2018 and was declined to use my credit because the credit was only valid until year from the date of purchase which was Aug. 7, 2017 and not from the ticketed departure date of Dec. 12, 2017. That is right, I was 3 days late. Needless to say I was very upset and made a formal request begging for a 3 day extension in order to use my almost $2,100 credit and this is the message I just received 3 days after my request.

“I'm sorry that you didn't travel with us as planned nor were you able to use the value of your unused tickets within a year. We know that travel doesn't always happen as planned, which is why we give our customers one year from the date the original ticket was issued to begin new travel. We believe that offering a full year to rebook travel provides our customers the flexibility they need to use their flight credit. I'm sorry for any disappointment we might cause by declining your request. Let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. It is always our pleasure to serve you, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you aboard again soon.”

This is the same as stealing!!! I did not lose $300 or $500. It was almost $2,100 of my hard earned money saved up to have a dream vacation and due to circumstances out of my control (mother nature) I had to cancel my original vacation and was excited to plan it again for this year only to find out I was 3 days too late! I never expected the airline to act so callously and lack such compassion for their clients after a lifetime of supporting them. The airline has significantly destroyed the image and reputation it had with my entire family.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

This is the fifth time in a row that we have had problems with AA. It's always something, weather, crew not making it on time, maintenance issues. Of course they can't control the weather but how they schedule and deal with the weather issues seems very poor. My girlfriend and I were stranded in Philly last year and they tried to give us a breakfast voucher for $13.50 for the two of us. Also, when trying to get assistance from customer service on the phone, the waits are really long and they don't seem to have the most current information. Bottom line, we will avoid flying American Airlines at all costs in the future!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

On August 3, 2018 I flew from Mobile to Charlotte on flight 5337. There is a stewardess named April who was extremely rude, immature, and most unprofessional. Had an emergency arisen, April would have been too stressed out to handle it. They really need to get rid of her. She was middle-aged and heavy set. I don’t want her to be confused with good stewardess by the name of April. Most of the passengers were aghast!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We sat on a plane for two hours before we were finally able to get off. This being after they cancelled our flight and wouldn’t let us off due to construction at the airport. After we got off, they ran out of hotel vouchers AND couldn’t get us home until 20 hours after our original flight. We were told we could book with another airline and grab our bags, so we did. We booked with Southwest and Dana at the gate told us to go get baggage from the baggage area and recheck them with Southwest. We show up and Daniella tells us that she can submit a request and it will take hours... problem is, we board in less than hours AND we need showers, change of clothes, medication, etc. with our baggage.

I tell Daniella I need a supervisor and she tells me she will get someone. During this waiting period, Arthur is able to get bags for another person on my exact flight that was cancelled... and that man was rebooked with American and they gave him his bags! He then tries to deny it to me, but the customer receiving the bags confirmed for me. I have now been at baggage claim for OVER 2 hours and have been waiting on “Will” the supervisor, who Daniella said was coming, for almost the entire time. How does a CUSTOMER wait 2 hours for a supervisor in a disaster such as this? Sad thing is, this entire time Daniella has had an entirely POOR attitude and keeps walking off and disappearing.

I stressed the need for our baggage to get on our new airlines and my medication, and they refuse to give it up, saying they cannot do anything for hours. Yet I know the luggage is here because I watched them unload it off our plane. Our Southwest flight now boards in less than 3 hours and we are still waiting on this American Airlines supervisor who Daniella says has been helping with boarding a plane for TWO hours. I was just told he would be here shorty... it’s 2:43 am. At this point I am out $960 for Southwest flights, haven’t had a shower or sleep, didn’t get a hotel voucher, and my medication is being withheld from me as I wait while the employees do nothing.

I even called American over the phone to plead for some help and they told me they could do NOTHING, literally nothing at all. I also asked about how to get American to cover the flights I am forced to pay for out of pocket because of their maintenance issues, and when I asked who I can call for help, I’m told customer relations has no phone number, only a website and email. ARE YOU KIDDING! I can’t even speak to someone for help? Our family and friends had Facebook posts and TONS of comments about how awful American is, and after MY FIRST EXPERIENCE, I completely understand why! How is it, that absolutely no one can help me, and all 3 people at this counter, deny, lie, and have poor attitudes!

Malaek finally gave us some info about how we pretty much have to leave our bags and cross our fingers that they make it to Austin, Arthur at least answered some questions, but here I am, still stuck with Danielle who has by far been the WORST customer service rep I have EVER worked with at ANY business, and this supervisor she has promised for over 2 HOURS, has not shown up. Completely dissatisfied and miserable with American Airlines. AND they lied about the hotel reimbursement, and are refusing to cover the extra cost of our new tickets, and the extra parking fees we had to pay, not to mention 6-8 weeks for a refund!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So --- I am attempting this to warn ANYONE flying American AIRLINES --- DON'T!!! I know that thousands use "my grandma's funeral" to get special treatment on a flight. This was really my case. I was to attend my 94 year old grandmother's funeral services on 8-9-18 at 10 am. I never made it and I will never forget how American Airlines handled my situation. I flew from Fort Myers to Charlotte at 7:15 - 9:15 pm on 8-8-18. I received a notification while boarding that my connecting flight has been delayed to and 11:30 pm departure (was 10:10 pm). After many delays - the flight was cancelled. I spent hours trying to get an early flight to Akron/Canton but - of course -nothing available.

Just a note - Hall of Fame weekend was last week - why is every flight booked to go to the area where I grew up - really??? I was the last one left without accommodations (new flight). I was doing everything to get to the funeral. I was finally "greeted" by this "gentleman" - and I will add that it is in quotes for a reason! He was the concourse E supervisor on duty at 10 pm (8-8-18) until he disappeared at 2 am (8-9-18) at Charlotte airport. He really needs to find another line of work. He is rude - tries to smooth things over with fast talk - and has no patience or compassion.

I will never forget this JERK (that is being nice). I would really like to come face to face in another capacity as well. Long story short - I returned to my originating city (Fort Myers) and missed the services. I walked the airport (Charlotte) ALL night until my 7:30 am flight back. I did stop at another American Airlines counter - this guy was pleasant but could not help. I received NO hotel voucher - food voucher- anything! AMERICAN AIRLINES DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR SITUATION. Pay the extra and fly another airline --- PLEASE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We fly Milwaukee to Phoenix regularly. We "always" take Southwest. We booked this fight on American because Southwest cancelled its Sat night flight. When I booked the flight I wasn't allowed to save seats on the site without paying. I called American and they said, "No problem, you can do it online 48 hours before the flight." I tried and of course it didn't work. It's almost a four hour flight. My wife has a bit of a handicap- much easier if we sit together. So it didn't work online. I called and was told all the free seats are taken. HUH? The only way we can sit together is to pay about $80. So not only do they insult you with a bag fee, they insult you with a seat fee. And then they lie and say you can book it online 48 hours in advance no charge - and that's not true. So we'll end up sitting center seats, not together for a 4 hour flight. Really classy American. I won't fly American again and suggest the same to all.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Flights to Bahamas 7/28/18 cancelled 6 hours before take off. Waited 2.5 hours on phone with customer service to rebook. Online would not allow us to rebook flights. When got new seats had paid for first class seats but new seats economy class. On way back to Washington DC flight delayed 4 hours so we wouldn’t be able to make connection. Had to be rebooked and rerouted to Charlotte. Again paid for First Class but got Economy seats. Sat in Charlotte and no airplane showed up. Excuses ranged from no pilot, no plane to Charlotte airport closed due to rain. We were sitting there not a drop of rain.

After 5 hours at airport flight cancelled. Waited in line to be re routed for third time (no seats to Providence) to Boston 26 hours later. Got a motel voucher and $12 to spend on airport food to last the 26 hour wait for new flight. Again downgraded from First Class to Economy. American refused to credit difference. Still trying to get the $1200 difference between First class we paid and Economy seats they gave us. There were many in same spot paid First Class given Economy. Clear Bait and Switch scheme. Oversell First Class with no intention of honoring ticket. No apologies, lots of lies, close to 6 hours wait time on phone with customer service for the 3 cancellations. 1.5 hours in line customer service at airport. The upside is they sent our luggage on a different flight but didn't lose it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My family flew AA to the Bahamas 7/22/18 to 7/29/18. Flight home was delayed, then cancelled 2 days in a row. Nothing but lies for the cancellation reasons (broken plane, waiting for pilot). AA supervisor told us to book own flights from Bahamas to Philadelphia & AA would reimburse as long as we provided receipts. Also said they would cover any other expenses such as extra dog/childcare, parking fees etc. Agents at airport also refused to help; they said there were too many of us & they wanted to go home. When passengers demanded to speak with a supervisor, they responded by calling airport security & the police. We got home 3 days later & now AA refuses to make good on the promises made. Customer Relations just keeps apologizing. Worst customer service & airline ever.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My 16 years old son was supposed to fly alone from LaGuardia on July 27 in AA 1626 to Miami. They board the plane at 2:45 pm and the flight was delayed more than 5 times until 10 pm when they finally cancel it. More than 6 hours without even water!!! Two days later AA made my son paid AGAIN $25 to check his bag!!! They did not accepted the cash so he had to call me and I was able to transfer the money. How is he suppose to do if He was not able to reach me??? Nobody in AA wanted to help him!!! I wrote a complaint to AA Consumer Relations department in Spanish, that’s my original language, because when I called to made the complaining the first time, they assure me that it was ok to write in Spanish because they have people in that department who work with public relation in any language necessary.

THREE TIMES I wrote and each one of the answers was in ENGLISH and always they are just justifying their attitude, the delay, the lack of attention to the passengers during more than 6 hour of confinement, they steal because they charge my son twice to check the bag and did not accept his cash and did not tried to help him even if he is a minor!!!! I also feel that they are disrespectful and treat me in a discriminatory way, just because I wrote my complaint in Spanish!!! Is there someone in AA who speaks Spanish??? The delayed of a flight is something that can happens and the passengers most understand that safety is the priority, but abusing the passengers is other thing altogether!!! American Airlines is the WORST and I planning never fly with them again!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This flight segment was the absolute worst flight I have had the displeasure of in my 54 years. Apparently, there was poor weather in the area/in route to Charlotte, NC where I was supposed to catch a connecting flight to return to Indianapolis, which was my final destination. At HPN, a Jet Blue flight was canceled out of the blue right before AA flight #5180. Jet Blue would not let any passengers board the plane. 10 minutes later, AA began boarding flight 5180 from HPN to Charlotte. We pushed away from the gate on time, the pilot informed us we should be arriving on time to Charlotte. Then everything came to a stop. 2PM.

We sat on the plane for an hour. Weather impacting the departure. The pilot informed us that an alternate route was being filed to skirt the bad weather but due to this refiled flight plan, we would need more refueling. 3PM. No one was allowed to exit the plane. I repeat no one was allowed to exit the plane! 330PM. Now, the plane resumes its place in line further back in the pack. We wait.

4PM. The pilot announced that the refiled flight plan has "dropped out of the system". Passengers sigh. Attendants offer water service for the 1st/only time. 500PM. We continue to wait. My seatmate informs me that fed regulations limit max tarmac stagnation at 3 hours. The attendant informs us that the refueling reset the time counter. How convenient? We were NOT allowed off the plant the whole time on the plane, before/at/after refueling until ~615PM (lo & behold, about 3 hrs AFTER the refueling escapade).

Listen carefully here=> WE WERE ON THE PLANE ON THE TARMAC for more than 4 hrs. No offer of getting off the plane. Fed regulations violated. One water service offered. No vouchers. No food/add'l water service. After deplaning, the flight was still not "canceled". I rebooked for a departure 2 days later on 7/29. I will be speaking with an attorney re. this violation. Unconscionable. Please contact me with any mitigating solace that you can offer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Bag not picked up at LAX. Reported bag to AA, asked for bag to be sent to San Diego airport for pickup. Was told bag would be placed on earliest flight with room on Friday. Called at 10 am on Friday, no status. called at noon, agent contacted LAX, was told bag would be forwarded at earliest available flight. Called 2 more times, no update. Called Saturday morning, no update, agent stated that it was not her problem, she was not at LAX and could do nothing until the baggage handlers updated the info. Stated she had no supervisor and I should e-mail the airlines.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Flight booked for August 3rd from DTW to Albany. First light was cancelled. They rebook us on an earlier flight with 20 minutes to get to the airport, come to find out departure flight delayed and the connecting flight was going to be missed, booked us on a third flight today 8/4 at 5:36 am only to find out there is no damn crew. So rebooked us again for tonight. Incompetent airline with no willingness to help. Never again even if it’s the last airline on earth. We always fly Delta and they never disappoint. Unfortunately, the price this time was almost triple. But shame on American Airlines.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This has been the WORST experience. This will be the LAST time our family and friends will fly with AA. From delayed to cancelled, each time we have to go through Charlotte, we get bumped, delayed or barely can make our connecting flights or miss them entirely. No one can give answers or even care to help. Then, with a baby, with seats purchased together, AA hates families... They separated us EVERY flight! Even though WE booked and paid for SPECIFIC seating, we get jerked around.

I am very unhappy and AA would not even pay for luggage, since we had to be cancelled and get a hotel, a cost of ANOTHER $130 for baggage we already paid for and would be on the next flight and not have left the airport, we had to repay, pay for rooms and on top of this, YOU- AA- lost my child's luggage with important medication. Which we tried to have with us, but no room on the overhead compartments, which again, I am reserved to have considering each person is allowed a carry on.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Hello, long time AA customer. Have been happy mostly. The staff at 'Customer Service" in PHX is unbelievably terrible. They have taken a 20 year happy customer and ruins it all in 30 minutes. If you think they care one whit about you or your concerns, you will be as upset as I am. The team of Carol and her supervisor Gerard are real winners. For example, she admitted she overcharged me $40, then instead of reversing then overage, simply says with a smirk, “Do you want me to reimburse the difference from my wallet?” I couldn’t believe I heard that. So uncaring, arrogant and unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

American Airlines, when have your customer service become status service? How does your system support your customer service integrity when you let your customers wait and run around to solve how to get to their destination when your system routed a smaller plane which caused delays and then not a pilot to operate the plane. Then a pilot shows up after flight delay from 3:55 pm to 7:25 pm, but at 7:35 pm, the crew realise the pilot don’t have enough fly time.

Spend another 3 to 4 hours trying to reach our destination so that I can get to my meeting which I have to arrange to delay as the soonest I can get there is 10:30 am the next morning. But in order to do that I have to drive from PHL to JFK. Not one compensation was offer except being refer to AA.com and when asked to be upgraded, pretty much told, "How can we upgrade you when there are others that have a higher status than you," not caring about the trouble, inconvenience, time the mistake of one flight put us thru.

After a rental car, hotel out of my own pocket, at the JFK airport, we continue to get disrespected. Thru the entire journey, one crew at the PHL airport tried to help (Danielle) but the rest were rude and treated us like an object. Instead of being black and white, I would hope that it’s about customers’ sympathy. And oh, please train your baggage claim team to ensure to check that the customers are indeed picking up the right luggage. I’m claiming our luggages, we were told to find it against that wall and when we asked, "Do you need to verify," they say, "Just make sure it says your name on there!"

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was trying to board a plane in LaGuardia Airport. I had a very rude person who told me my carry on luggage was too large. He threatened me that if I didn’t give him my credit card so he could charge me a extra 50 dollars he would not let me board. My bag measured 21 by 14 by 9 which is a few inches less than what they say is allowed on their website. I asked him to just valet check the bag and he said they don’t do that. 20 other customers with the same size bag had valet checked their bags before me and were not charged extra so he was lying. I was so upset and voiced my concern to the stewardess. She asked another employee who witnessed the incident who told her said they could not believe I was singled out and that I was wrongfully charged. I was told to go to customer service after to try to get my money back. There was no customer service in the airport. I was told I had to go online to get my money back.

It’s funny because while I was waiting to board they gave a customer service survey to fill out. American Airlines doesn’t care about customer service. They are becoming more like little a communist country every day. I’ve been a loyal customer for years. I’m a senior citizen with a heart condition but they didn’t care. I wasn’t sure why I was picked on. I’m a ** female over 60. He was Asian. I hate to play the race or age card. Was that the reason I was mistreated in public or was this just a person who needs to feel powerful over someone obviously weaker than himself? At least the stewardess was compassionate and honest. I don’t know if I’ll ever fly again with American. It’s not worth the stress heartache and humiliation.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I always flew American Airlines when I was a child and we flew every summer. I had fond memories. But this is not the experience of my childhood. And I found myself on years at the airport and still am not home. What bothers me the most is the knowledge that this company seems to have no ethics or desire to treat people humanely. I don't mean the individuals working for American Airlines. Some were gracious, and one woman was the only person trying to reroute an entire plane of confused passengers. She was patient and kind. But this was an impossible task.

I was rerouted 3x and then flights completely cancelled and I was stranded. Back in the day, the airlines took care of their customers. Now I had to lose it and cause a scene to get any help at all. I am a soft spoken and patient person. I smiled all day and entertained everyone around me. But AA pushed me to tears at the end of a long day. I'm now at a hotel and the flights are tomorrow morning at 5am arrival time. I'm exhausted. And what assurance do I have that this flight will get me home? I've never felt so abused and helpless while traveling. Never.

They blamed weather. I looked and searched and saw absolutely no weather issues. We were boarded and I boarded 3x and sat on the runway in a very hot plane every time. Then they also blamed mechanical problems. What bothers me the most is the feeling that I was 100% being lied to. I guess if it's "weather", they don't need to be financially responsible. Since when do companies hide behind what is their legal minimum requirement? What has happened to treating people with love and respect? Oh my goodness. This experience has me heartbroken. There was an elderly woman trying to return home from a funeral to take care of her ailing husband. She's in a hotel tonight. Just hope we all get home tomorrow.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I'm a disabled veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD. I have flown many times and know the procedures for placing my phone on airplane mode. Prior to the plane taking off, I was accosted by your flight attendant telling me to put my phone on airplane mode. I was the only passenger that was asked repeatedly to put my phone on airplane mode. Not once did the flight attendant ask me was my phone on airplane mode. Other passengers were on their phone, looking at pic and on FB like myself, but was never asked to put their phone on airplane mode. The flight attendant went to the Captain and told him my phone was not on airplane mode. There's no way that he could have determine that without asking to see my phone.

The Captain made a comment over the intercom stating, "You need to get off FB and turn your phone on airplane mode, or I can turn this plane around and drop you back off at the airport." If that wasn't insult enough the elderly ** flight attendant assaulted me, by placing his hand on my right shoulder telling me again to put my phone on airplane mode. To top this off the elderly ** flight attendant refused and passed me up when it came to passing out complimentary snacks and drink. Is this how you treat disabled veterans with PTSD or is this how you treat ** men. I'm appalled how I was treated by your staff and Airlines and will be pursuing other legal recourse.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I flew in from TPA to DFW July 30 flight 1369. On arrival we realized that we left our Bluetooth boom box on the plane. We were one of the last people to get off... Right now they're telling us they haven't seen it, I know they found it and kept. Whoever cleaned the plane saw it and kept. The amount of money I spent with this airline... very sad... this is a father's day gift to a wonderful dad. Wish I had a tracker on it... shame on whoever has this item.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My last 3 flights with American Airlines has been awful. They really need to work on their customer service skills. My flight yesterday was delayed 5 times out of Dallas and finally canceled. They were not very accommodating and very rude. Shout out to Delta Airlines for finally getting us home.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I am so disappointed with American Airlines. My daughter is on her honeymoon in Italy and her flight was canceled and was rescheduled on British Airways. The agent in LAX promised her that their luggage would be transferred with no problem. Well 3 days later and no clothes to wear, they still can’t tell her when she will get her luggage. I have been calling and the agent, Jessica ** in Dallas basically said American Airlines has no responsibility and we had to call British to locate her bags. Even though they checked their bags on the original flight and then canceled the flight, they basically wash their hands and passed the blame to British Airways.

This person was so rude and didn’t care that they were ruining a honeymoon. As of tonight the bags are still in transit and no confirmation when they will arrive Rome. I hope someone from the airlines will read this, but I don’t expect them to do anything to keep their customers happy. American Airlines, you have the worse customer service and your employees don’t care about the customers. This Jessica ** in Dallas should be fired for her rude insensitive attitude

Original review: July 25, 2018

As a mother I am thoroughly disappointed with American Airlines! We were delayed out of Miami although no one told us why. The pilot finally announced it was because of weather once we were on the plane. We missed our connecting flight in Chicago. We tried to go to customer service and the lady said she couldn’t help us. We went to another desk, waited in line until we were to be the next ones and they closed. We went to another and another until they closed at 10:30pm. With 2 kids we tried to get a hotel room but all hotels within a 10 mile radius are completely booked. We are spending the night in the airport! No one from American Airlines cares! This has been the absolute worst traveling I have ever experienced! I will never fly American again!

Original review: July 21, 2018

On 20 April 2018 Returning from Mother In law's Funeral in Guayaquil Ecuador to Miami on American Airlines flight # 902 my spouse and I became sick after sitting under mold and insect filth on the aircraft. Please see attached photos. American Refused to change our seats on the "Overbooked" flight or offer any reasonable accountability after the flight.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had to change my wife's flight because of the death of her aunt. I bought and paid for the ticket with my card. They told me I could use the credit for six months. I tried to use the credit today. I was informed that although I paid for the ticket, only my wife could use the credit. So I'll just toss $500 out the window next time I even think about using this Airline.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We planned a vacation to Miami, months ago (my wife and kids), but American Airlines turned it into a nightmare... Our first flight was delayed 9 hours, later it was cancelled, we were sent to a hotel nearby the airport to spend the night and our flight were re scheduled to the next morning. Our surprised was that the flight was cancelled too and they offered us to flight to Panama first using Copa Airlines, but we would arrived to Miami at midnight... So at that moment we had 2 days lost of our vacations and it would be too stressful for us to flight with kids and to arrive that late to Miami, so we cancelled our vacations. I have to notice the attitude of the American Airlines counter personal, they showed very poor empathy towards all the passengers that were having problems with the cancelled flights... At the end, American even charged us with $200 per person, so we lost our vacations and $800.

Original review: July 18, 2018

My family and I recently flew with American Airlines, as a matter of fact I’m still stuck in the Philadelphia airport since yesterday as I’m writing this review. So número 1 the pilot announced there were weather conditions which we perfectly understood but that our delay was going to be an hr. 2nd announcement from the pilot now we're not landing at Philadelphia Airport for our supposedly layover. We’re going to Dallas Int Airport. Yeup. Layover was about 1-2 hrs and then boarded a plane to Philadelphia Airport finally. We got to the airport at 10-11 pm... thinking, "Ok great we can just board our next plane and will be home..." NOT. So after running around with my family because we had to unboard a plane into a bus... at the other end of the Philadelphia Airport where we had to take a train to get to customs etc... guess what happened? We were told no available planes for our destination.

When I expressed my concerns not only for my kids but for myself... I have a bad back and pulled a muscle the day before and the pain was in intense. I got nothing... no compassion for me or my family. We was ignored for a bit and you can hear some of the coworkers mimic complaints of the customers... which just infuriated me because there was no integrity for their position... lack of communication skills and no but no compassion. My husband was handed a pink slip that says will pay a percentage for a hotel. Well gee thanks. At first I was going to let this go because I told myself, "You know weather conditions happen all the time and that’s perfectly understandable," but when I saw how poorly my husband and kids were treated... American Airlines was not there for my family and for that I share my experience.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Probably the worst company I have ever experienced. Having canceled a flight yet again which meant we missed our connecting flight back to the UK. The AA agents they flew us to New York even though our flight home was from Chicago!!! No offers of help, assistance nor advice and eventually we flew back with Virgin Atlantic 24 hours later than scheduled. All this and we paid AA for business class/first seating. No refunds to date nor offer of out of pocket expenses. Just an apology which I suspect is standard procedure for their lack of service. Will never fly AA again. Future travelers BEWARE!!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Numerous times I've had issues with this company. I checked in online, and when I went in to check my bag, they said I had to board another flight because I didn't check in 2 hours PRIOR!!! THIS is some b.s. and I'm getting tired of being NICKEL DIMED FOR EVERYTHING!!! 30 bucks extra just to skip the line?? It's not like you getting a better seat either!!! The planes I've boarded recently are 38 years old. With NO KIND OF AMENITIES such as USB charge ports, wifi (you have to buy that as well) or anything.

I told myself I'm going to use up my f.f. miles and I'm going to Delta or anyone else with MODERN PLANES, and better check in regulations!!! I feel like this is a ragged, and overpriced airline company, that has depreciated in value!!! It's really like THE GREYHOUND BUS COMPANY OF THE SKIES!!! If you're not locked in their nonrefundable, overpriced, tickets PLEASE STOP. MAKE ANOTHER SELECTION. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Wow - all I can say is wow. Way to not assign a seat to my minor child, blame me for the mistake saying I did it during booking, be rude about it, tell me I’ll have to deal with it at the airport and then hang up on me. Great customer service. This is why I have never and will never fly your airline again. No wonder you have a 1 1/2 star rating.

Original review: July 12, 2018

A reservation agent and her manager spent a half an hour finding and confirming my voucher. I called customer service and the representative just said no. My explanation meant nothing to her. I was doing American Airlines a favour in not taking a full flight. Thank you American Airlines for denying my voucher.

American Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

• Best for: International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information

www.aa.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business