2. Travel

American Airlines Reviews

3.8/5 (1769 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: March 30, 2021

When flying American Airlines you can bet that your pilots and the stewards, hostess are top notch. I have flown with American Airlines to Los Angeles from the Dallas Fort Worth international airport and felt extremely comfortable and confident. I have also flown out of Dallas to Belize City on several occasions. And I tell ya that the Belize international airport is very small. But the pilot landed and took off like it was nothing.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Since moving back to the Southwest I have been using AA for most all of my trips -- to the East Coast & to Mexico. I live in a relatively small town (Santa Fe) and it is one of the few airlines that flies directly from there. That saves me a great deal of trouble by not having to drive to a larger city (Albuquerque), long-term park & sometimes take a hotel for one night for an early morning flight.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

This airline has plenty of seating room for everyone. They have friendly staff. Their equipment is up-to-date, clean areas throughout the plane. Schedules are always on time or within a 5 minute window. The baggage claims are always accurate with customers' bags. The fees aren't as high as other airlines. The terminals' walkway are always clear of any kind of clutter. Their website is very easy to navigate through. Easy to book a trip to anywhere the airline goes. A lot of information they have is easily printable from the website. Layovers are not long compared to other airlines. Most airlines you have is sit and wait game but not at American Airlines. I love flying the friendly skies with American Airlines..??

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had a direct flight to Miami and from there to Cancun. The truth is that the new plane changes everything. It is comfortable and has entertainment on board. That change was needed! Also the super accessible rate. The crew is what makes me choose them on my next trips, super friendly, antentos, allowing us to settle in free seats for our comfort, happy, fun. On the way out of our flight we had a delay of almost a day but they gave us hotel food and transfers, I cannot complain they took over without hesitation. Also Jade stewardess of the Montevideo Miami flight on 11/5 was one of the kindest and most humane I've ever seen. Finding someone like that today makes your trip happy. We had a loyalty program with another airline, including our associated credit card. We canceled him and we went to advantage, keep it up!

Original review: July 11, 2020

Complain, complain, complain. People will not wait two seconds to express their ‘outrage’ when a flight is delayed or the serving cart was out of Diet Coke. My experiences with AA have generally been pretty good. For several years I was fortunate to take some international business trips for the company and allowed to keep the Advantage Miles. I’ve used these for personal family trips to England, Hong Kong and Boston.

I’ve found the AA flight attendants to be friendlier and more professional than on Cathay Pacific or British Airways. For example – on a trip to London, flying Club World (business class) on BA I asked for a bottle of water, please. I could see at the attendant’s station there were several bottles of water on the counter. “I’m sorry, sir,” the male attendant told me, “but we are out of bottled water in Club World.” “But,” I replied, “I can see you have some water up there.” “Oh,” he replied haughtily, “that water is for our First Class passengers.” Give me a break! My company spends over $4,000 for a ticket and you can’t even give me a bottle of water? Needless to say, that was the last time I flew British Airways!

In October, 2017, a baggage loading cart right next to the AA 777 burst into flames at Hong Kong airport just as passengers will boarding for the flight to L.A. Of course the flight was cancelled. The AA ground staff had to quickly deal with rebooking flights or finding accommodations for over 200 passengers. They handled this sudden emergency task with compassion and professionalism.

By the way, I’ve never had a problem redeeming my Advantage Miles for the trips I wanted. The AAdvantage telephone booking staff has always been very helpful and patient in finding seats for me on the dates and to the destinations I want! Some people here have complained that AA charged them extra because they wanted to change their ‘Basic Economy’ class ticket. Read the fare descriptions! Basic Economy is cheap for a reason – no extras come with it. If you want to change your ticket, book a better level of ticket where this is allowed! So complain if you want. But some of us have had good experiences with AA. Also, just a thought -- Sometimes if you talk to someone with courtesy and respect – you will get the same response and help in return. But if you come on strong like a spoiled cry baby – well, you’ll get just what you deserve back! Cheers.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Long story shortened: they refused to refund our flights scheduled for 2020 that were CANCELLED by THEM. They charged even more money to rebook, and then when the price went down, they did not even give credits. I had scheduled to use 20,000 miles to upgrade seats on flights THEY canceled, but THEY WOULDN'T allow me to actually use these miles-they took them away despite the fact that I never was able to use them!!!! Beyond horrible, I have their credit card and am part of their 'advantage' program which both SUCK and am cancelling. DO NOT deal with them, they are terrible in all aspects.

Original review: June 17, 2021

My family of 5: Our flight from Bham, AL to DFW went off fine until we landed & received the text that the DFW 4383 flight to SLC at 1:20 had been canceled. We confirmed for the 7:30 2846 & luggage was sent on to SLC (which we did not know). Total of 11 delays (told weather & maintenance), 7 gate changes, 1 plane change, loaded the plane at 11:30pm, sat on it for an hour to be canceled because the crew would time out. After getting off the plane, we were told to go to customer service desk several terminals away to reschedule. There were 100s in line because other flights had been canceled also. My husband & aunt stood in line while I went to the desk to see what I could find out about luggage.

I overheard an AA guy in a suit talking to someone on the phone saying that they had given out the cards, told everyone that it was a waste of time to stay in line & to call the number to reschedule. I finally got to talk to him to ask about our luggage & say that we had been there since noon, over 13 hours & all he could say was "I'm sorry about that." They shut down the line at 2am & they were very ugly about it saying that the workers had to go home because they had been there since the morning. Well, we were paying customers who had been there for 14 hours with no kind of answers. We weren't offered a hotel because they were full. We were offered nothing by American including answers.

No flights were available for SLC the next day so I did get our flights changed to IDF, but that meant we lost $300 on our SLC hotel. Our luggage was in SLC & I had to call several times to finally get it Tuesday, 6/8. We also had to pay $200 more for a rental car a day later at IDF because that's what we could get. I have applied for refunds for all of our tickets to cover our unused expenses and pain and suffering while spending 23 hours in DFW just trying to get to our Yellowstone vacation. Never pay to fly with American and if you do, put extra clothes in your carryon because you very well may end up without luggage. I have applied for refunds but I'm not holding my breath.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I booked a ticket with reward miles. It required me to call customer service to confirm. Recording said, "Long wait times, give us your number and we'll call you back." They called me back at 3AM. And the person that called DID. NOT. CARE. A 3AM call? Are you kidding me? Why can't I book reward miles solely via the web? I will NEVER use American Airlines again. They can keep their rewards program.

Original review: June 14, 2021

What a train wreck. Flight from Boise was about an hour late taking off. Before the flight we were reassured by staff at the gate everyone would make their connecting flights. Well that didnt happen. We got to the gate after they had closed the door to the plane, in the meantime 2 other groups of people showed up for the same connecting flight. That caused them to stop the plane and reconnect the jetway.

I'll give them that on this journey. However when we did on the plane, our seats, which we had paid to be upgraded had someone already seated. The flight attendants just said, "Sit anywhere" and didnt make the passengers go back to their seats. So finally made it home and no checked bags. Contacted American and they told us our bags would be on the next flight in the morning. Got to the airport and at first they said everything would be on time. Another fallacy. Been sitting at the airport for hours now, the day after we arrived. I hope we get our luggage. Too many broken promises.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I never write reviews, but the experience I had with American Airlines was so bad I needed to warn others. Me and my family of 6 were traveling from Honolulu to get back to Ohio and had one 4 hour layover already during this time and were on our second flight after that. We finally got off our second flight which was running late. The plane was packed with people and landed at 6 pm and our last flight departure was at 6pm (3 total flights). By the time we even got off the plane and to the next location for our very last flight it was too late. They gave our seats to other passengers and customer service did not seem to care whatsoever, they were rude and seemed uncaring towards the situation all together. There were other people from the previous flight in the same position as us too.

After blaming us for the Airlines mistake and using poor customer service they finally scheduled another flight for the next morning and it was another back to back flight. Thankfully, they did get us rooms at a nearby hotel. After finally settling into our hotel to get some rest before our flight in the A.M they canceled it, less than 10 hours before our flight would be. We are now stuck in a completely different state over 20 hours away from home without our luggage. Instead of remembering all the fun times of our vacation, we are stuck trying to wrap our heads around how we will get home and how an airline could even be functioning at this level of disorganization. Thanks American Airlines.

American Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.

• Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.

• Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.

• Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.

• Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

American Airlines Company Information