American Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hurricane Irma was mess for AA. I get it. I'm sure there were thousands who were stuck trying to get their flights changed. Unfortunately, I was in Costa Rica with a connection via Miami and I got, as the AA agent said "the short end of the stick." I would be stuck almost another week in Costa Rica as everything AA had was booked out or cancelled. I saw a little bit of silver lining when I found that if I could get to Mexico city, I could fly home via DFW. However, AA would not change the ticket as it is against their rules to change the country of origin on a ticket. "We cannot do it." However, a more accurate description is "will not."

AA has chosen where to draw the lines that limit their liability and responsibility to make things right. It would have taken precious little effort to fix this problem, but all they would offer was a refund on my ticket and I was stuck purchasing another fare - via Delta - last minute at more than three times the cost of what was refunded. American Airlines has lost my business. I have been travelling long enough to know that some companies will make an effort to make things right, even when it's just a matter of poor circumstances (weather). I'm complaining because I think American Airlines should review this policy, especially in light of disasters like hurricane Irma. A little more flexibility would mean less money going out in refunds and more clients happy with an airline that made the effort.

We were delayed on our AA out of Seattle due to having to wait on flight crew. Managed to make it to Dallas on time BUT had to sit on the tarmac for 20 mins waiting for a gait in order to deplane. This caused to miss our connecting flight. Next available flight is the next day. Asked about compensation for overnight hotel stay (there are 7 in our party, including a 3 year old) and were denied due to the delay being coded as weather related, which is absolutely bogus. So livid, frustrated, and tired at this point. Also found out AA has no number to call for complaints... You have to go through email so who knows if they will even read it or reply. Will never fly AA again if I can help it.

I had a trip booked months in advance for a weekend trip to see a concert until Hurricane Irma threatened Florida. I was scheduled to fly from Orlando, FL to Philadelphia, PA on a Saturday and return early evening on Monday; one day before my trip, AA canceled my flight home, which I was hoping wouldn't happen, but what they didn't tell me was that they had no intention of helping me at all after they left me stranded. I called AA immediately and asked if there were any flights I could get on Tuesday and the lady said she didn't know, then told me she "had one but it was nearly full" and didn't know if she'd have one after that or if I'd even be able to book it because I was so unprepared.

I called my Hotel and because they were all booked through the week, they couldn't extend my stay so I called back AA asking if they could help me with anything, possibly get me into a hotel and they basically said, "Sorry, we can't accommodate you, you're gonna have to pay for another hotel after you check out." All other hotels? At LEAST $200 a night and I wasn't even sure how many extra nights I'd need to stay in Pennsylvania because the lady didn't know if she'd be able to get me on the Tuesday flight home, so basically, I was going to be stranded in a city I had never been too and had no prior knowledge of for possibly 2 days and American Airlines could care less.

I was even fine with sleeping in the airport for a little bit because I would've had NOWHERE else to go and they also said I couldn't do that. I had to end up canceling my entire trip in fear of being stranded in Philadelphia alone with nowhere to go and no idea when I'd be able to get home and when I called about a refund, they gave me a very monotone answer and said it'd have to be reviewed and that they "weren't sure". What a shallow company. Thanks to you, American Airlines, I am STUCK in Florida in the direct path of the hurricane! At least I have somewhere to go, which is more than what you were willing to give me!

I have traveled with AA often. I had a flight from JFK to DC connecting to a flight to Norfolk Virginia. I stated on my reservation that I need wheel chair service. After arriving in DC that was not available. I had to walk up and down metal staircases to get to a shuttle bus standing room only to take me to the Norfolk plane, consequently I sustained excruciating back pain. My complaint is if I was informed when making the reservation, other arrangements could have been made. It seems to me AA could have informed me.

My husband and I were taking a well-deserved vacation. The trip had a layover in Miami from PHX. It was an overbooked flight at midnight. We got on the plane. My husband has 2 artificial shoulders and a knee replacement. He walks funny. He also gets up at 3:30 in the morning. It was a long day. I suffer from migraines and take meds nightly. We got into our seats and put our belts on. We both started to fall asleep. A flight manager asked to "talk" to us off the plane. We were escorted off the plane with our carry on. He said that the flight attendant said we have the "appearance" of being intoxicated. We told him that we weren't, but didn't argue because we didn't want to get beat up like the guy on United. It amazing me that with no proof they can kick anyone off the plan. And you have no rights. We are still disputing this. They are “not required” to discern intoxication by scientific means, ‘the appearance' of a passenger is all important. Unbelievable!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Hurricane IRMA is due to hit Miami this weekend 9/9/2017. I bought an airline ticket for my mother to attend her great aunt's 100th birthday party. The hall hosting the event has canceled all venues for that weekend due to the storm. The city is evacuating and hotels have to people who are due in not to come and those that are there to evacuate. Yet American Airlines is still flying people into the area. I bought the ticket through CheapOair Booking # ** and yes I bought the Travel Insurance but the only way that I can receive a refund is if American Airlines cancels the flight. So that means that my mother can get to Ft Lauderdale but she'll have to stay in the airport.

I asked for credit but in order not to be charged the $200 processing fee I had to use the credit by 9/11/2017. This time frame is still the same time frame of the Category 4 storm that is due to hit Florida. And I would also be charged a $50 processing fee in order to cancel the ticket. The fees that they want to charge me for processing and cancellation are more than I paid for the airline ticket.

My flight from Columbus OH to New York this evening got cancelled. The American Airlines clerk said the cancellation was due to bad weather in New York, therefore they did not have responsibility to compensate me: no meal, hotel, or taxi voucher, no any credit, nothing whatsoever. I checked the weather in New York. It was clear, no rain, no wind the entire night. It was Tuesday, September 5, 2017.

My son was married in Jamaica this August. I cringed when I heard the travel agent say we were flying American but I tried to stay positive. We booked and paid for round trip tickets well in advance. My husband had a scheduling problem on the inbound flight and had to book another American flight. I thought nothing of it since everything was paid for. We arrive at the airport for the return trip only to find that they sold his return seat that was paid for. They said that because he did not come on the original flight, that voided the entire ticket, even though he paid additional money for the inbound trip. I write to the Customer Service Department and they told me that I provided no information that would support any compensation. Let me understand; we pay for a ticket in full, they have our money then sell the seat we paid for to someone else. Wonder why I fly JetBlue?

Not once but I suffered twice due to American Airlines. First time was in 2016 March. Me and my Husband were going to Miami for our Honeymoon. We are super excited but our flight from Atlanta, got delayed by 6 hours. Instead of reaching Miami at 7pm we reached Miami at night 1 am. The most ridiculous part was waiting for the flight to take off while sitting inside the flight for 3 hours. The reason for the delay was that the pilots who has to fly this flight were actually flying some other flight and that flight got delayed. I understand flights do get delayed but asking your passengers to wait for 3 hours sitting inside the flight is worst service any airline can provide. Our whole trip got ruined because we chose American Airlines.

My second bad experience with American Airlines is in April, 2017 when we were flying from Chicago to Austin. I was flying along with my parents and yes we are immigrants and legal. I was feeling proud that I showed them Chicago but, the flight attendants of American Airlines had bad customer service. They did not even asked us what we want to drink. Me and my parents would have just requested for water. We started very early to catch the flight on time and all three were feeling so thirsty. But, the flight attendant asked the people who were sitting in front of us and also back of us but not us.

We three were the only Indians who were flying in that flight as it was a working day. When my mom asked me the reason for not offering us water, I lied to her that the attendant might have forgotten. But, I know that’s not true as she was continuously serving to each seat row but wontedly skipped our row. This is the way American Airlines treat its customers. I would never want to book this flight again.

Flight from MSP to CLT on American Airlines. Worst flight and service ever. Ticket agent were late to the gate. Over crowded and over booked. Long 30 mins. unexplained delay, rude and lazy flight attendants. I was forced to check bag, late for connecting flight, delayed bag... No apology... Acted like it is common to lose or delay baggage.

On August 30, 2017 I flew on American Airlines from Boston to Philadelphia for a business trip. In all the years I've been flying for business I never once had a gate agent as rude and nasty as the one in Boston harass and try to intimidate me into checking my carry on bag. And the plane I flew on was relatively new Boeing 757 with ample overhead space. I noted that she was saying nothing to the men about their carry ons, but was harassing almost every woman about theirs. I told her, "I never check that bag - and I don't in 17 years. The only I would need to have it tagged is on those really tiny commuter planes (like the Embraers) - and everybody has their bags put below on those planes - we all get that."

Anyway she grabbed my bag and put it in her carry on measuring device and announced that it was over size. I said - "no it's not - you need to properly place in the sizer" - so she pushed it down so it rested on the bottom of the sizer. The bag came in just below the top of the white line (the size for carry ons in the overhead), however she still tried to tell me that it over size. I told her no it wasn't and asked her if she had a problem with her vision. Her face got beet red and she handed my bag back to me.

This is absolutely ridiculous. The airlines nickel and dime people for everything. I totally get the carry on size limits - and over the years I've seen other people trying to get on with big full size suitcases and I just SMH. But this type of nitpicking is doing nothing to make people want to choose American Airlines over someone else. Not to mention her conduct was extremely unprofessional.

Quite frankly I try to avoid United and American and try to fly JetBlue and Southwest whenever I can, primarily because they treat their passengers with respect and consideration. There are cases however when choosing American is based on flight schedules and convenience. On my return flight to Boston on September 1, I was talking to the woman sitting next to me and she told me of similar experiences with American. Well the lesson learned here is avoid American Airlines at all costs just like I try to avoid United. Amazing how these airlines can't figure out why there's such an adversarial relationship with passengers.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to cancel my American Airlines ticket. They're giving me a voucher less their outrageous $200 cancellation charge. They won't, however, refund the $179.81 extra I paid to upgrade my seats... the same seats they will re-sell to someone else. This is outrageous!!!

I came to Cancun, Mexico for a week vacation. During my stay my passport was stolen along with other belongings. I still had my USPassport Card, Sentri Border Crossing card, license and a State of AZ employee card. I was denied the counter even after I had checked in using my passport card id. I even upgraded to 1st Class! I was told I could not return on AA with my passport. I spoke to Supervisor and to someone on the phone and was told no exceptions. I asked for a US Customs office and all they could do was send me to Mexican immigration office there who their staff said AA should let me on the plane as I had documents to show I was an American citizen. Went back and was denied! I was told my only option was to travel in a bus back to the US or fly through Mexico! $600 later I am sitting in an airport in Guadalajara by myself hoping to get home within 24 hours! Never Again!

This complaint is to express my utter disappointment in American Airlines and Expedia.com in the treatment of passengers. I really hope no other families experience what my family was put through. My family of four was traveling to Florida on 8/19 on American Airlines flight 1761. Upon check in I was not given the opportunity to get seat assignments for me and the kids since I bought my tickets through Expedia.com. My husband got a seat assignment because he purchased his ticket directly from American Airlines.

I have an autistic 6-year old son and a 10-year old son. Every airline I've ever travelled on seats parents with their young children. Apparently, American Airlines is different. So they had our entire family seated in four different rows on the plane. The flight attendants were not helpful at all (honestly the worst I've ever experienced) but thankfully two kind passengers switch seats so that I could sit in a row with the children. I don't understand how an airline would think it is okay to seat a 6-year old child by themselves on a flight especially a child that they've been notified is autistic. I'm really upset about the anxiety they put my children through.

On our return flight on 8/26 (American Airlines flight 1819), we ran into another issue because we had missed our original flight to Florida. My husband had purchased his ticket directly from American Airlines so his return flight was unaffected. I purchased my ticket and the kids tickets on the same American Airlines flight through Expedia.com. But because we missed our flight going to Orlando, they automatically cancelled our return flight to Washington DC without notifying me. My husbands return flight was not cancelled.

When I called Expedia.com they acted helpless and said it was completely up to American Airlines to try to help me. When I contacted American Airlines for assistance, I spent over one hour on the phone and was told that my return tickets were cancelled because I bought a discount broker ticket (through Expedia.com) and missed my original flight on 8/19. This left me in a position without return tickets home for me and the kids and was told I had to buy new tickets again. This sounded very unethical to me and I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. He was able to reinstate my tickets for an additional $50 per ticket. I paid the additional $150 so that I could get back home with my kids.

The return flight was just as bad as the trip going. Once again, because my tickets were affiliated with a discount broker I was treated like a second-rate passenger when I got to the airport. I couldn't check in with self-check. Then when I got to the ticket counter, they wouldn't assign seats for me next to the kids. They said I had to wait to speak with the agent at the gate for assistance. The agent arrived at the gate 23 minutes before boarding and said she'd see what she could do to seat me next to the kids. Thankfully she was able to get two passengers to give up their seats so that I could sit with the kids.

This treatment was all because I purchased my tickets through Expedia.com. My husband didn't experience this nightmare because he bought his ticket directly from American Airlines. I think it's very unethical to have different standards of treatment based on where you purchased your tickets on the same flight. If American Airlines doesn't want passengers from Expedia.com then they should not make their flights available there. And Expedia.com should be aware that because passengers are affiliating with them, they're receiving bad service and Expedia.com should step in to assist rather than acting helpless.

I doubt anything will come of this complaint, but at least I feel like I've done my part in warning other parents with young children to be aware of the poor treatment they will receive traveling on American Airlines through tickets purchased on Expedia.com. You already have your hands full trying to travel with young children that the extra headache and nightmare are just not worth it.

Tried to re-arrange my return flight to my home in Houston was told to just wait. I had no desire to stay in Florida. I wanted and needed to get home. I tried to get to Dallas or Oklahoma City so I could drive to Houston. They were very comforting in that they offered to SELL me a $1,000 additional ticket to either location or again I could wait a week.

I fly four to six flights per week for my job and I do periodically fly other airlines than American and I will be the first to admit they all have huge customer service issues and as more and more go bankrupt we have less and less choices. But I will go back to Southwest and pay the slightly more money per flight, but I know that their policies like this are very customer friendly. I won't get the comment of just sit down, shut up, and wait 7 days until the airport re-opens. If I ran my business like AA runs theirs I would be out of business.

I bought tickets from Cheaptickets.com which I've done every year for the past 3. So this time the flight was changed to 9:30 a.m. from a 12 noon time. I've been on hold with CheapTickets for over 2 hours now because American refuses to change the flight to a later time without a penalty. I'm disabled and unable to be at the airport that early without being sick. So far twice CheapTickets have called them and they refuse to change it saying that the "change without penalty" that THEY made constitutes the one time change without fee. I didn't change it. They did. So why are they trying to charge ME? Still working with CheapTickets to fix it because they have my money so I have to fly American. Will be my very last time though. Too many other companies out there are more than happy to take my cash.

This was the most horrible and frustrating experience I have ever had. I will NEVER fly American Airlines again. We were lied to over and over and over again about the time we would start boarding. One gate attendant told us the flight would be on time and it wasn't even on the ground when she said that, and we were suppose to be boarding in 3 mins. We waited another 20 mins before the incoming plane even got to our gate. Then when the plane finally landed, and we did board, we sat on the runway for another 30 more mins. There was never an apologize or explanation of any kind. People were so mad I can't believe a fight didn't break out. Several people on board missed their connecting flights and American Airlines did not even compensate them. They should have offered a free dinner, hotel and at least 1/2 off their next flight. I couldn't even get a bottled water. I was given a 'glass'. Have you ever tried to balance a 'glass' of water while in the air?

I have been flying exclusively with American Airlines for the past 6 years, and I am a frequent traveler like a lot of other fellows... This review is not about my personal traveling experience with AA; however, it does shed some light on how terrible they treat their customers. My wife's best friend booked a flight from PVG (Shanghai) --DFW (TX)-- BDL (CT) on Aug 21st. She didn't make on the flight in PVG after she checked her luggage, because of a family emergency. She asked us, who live close to DFW, to pick up her luggage since AA told her that her belongings will be in DFW.

She called AA that we will be there to pick her stuff up and provided our IDs. We went there Aug 22nd morning and the lady we met at the luggage claim A15 could not be less helpful. She yelled at my wife for "bothering" her and "I don't understand you" while facepalming. We provided the baggage claim# and said: "We want to know if these bags are here." She rolled her eyes, told us they are not, and they are at BDL. I do not want to ask why they are at BDL after AA told us to pick up here and asked for IDs. That AA employee had one job and she blew it so badly. The sole reason I am writing this review is that this unpleasant experience was not a coincidence. I have had that kind of crap for years.

On Aug 18, 2017, I checked a piece of luggage for flight AA4540 from Reagan National to JFK. While waiting at the gate, the flight was delayed twice due to weather in JFK with the latest departure scheduled for 2.5 hours after the original take off time. Concerned because I had a connecting overseas flight at JFK, I went to the AA counter and asked if I could be booked on another flight to JFK. The AA agent booked me on AA4332. I showed her my baggage claim ticket for the checked luggage on the original 4540 flight and she replied, “your baggage is going to make it to JFK”. That's it and I took her word for it. Low and behold, after I arrived JFK on 4332, I learned that 4540 was canceled and my baggage never made it to JFK from Reagan National.

I had to board my connecting overseas flight without the bag. Now I am overseas and have contacted AA several times about my bag. They have told me the bag is at JFK, but that's it, no info on when or whether it will make it to my connecting flight. The bag was tagged to arrive at my final overseas destination when I checked it in at Reagan, but AA is avoiding all responsibility for not rerouting the bag onto the 4332 flight. Extremely frustrating because I am overseas with only the clothes on my back and no idea when or if my bag is going to arrive despite my repeated efforts in trying to move the bag along the process chain. AA has clearly washed their hands of any mishandling.

I've tried twice today to get an agent on the phone and speak with them about a flight arrival tomorrow. Both times I've waited over 30 minutes and couldn't get anyone on the phone. I've flown AA more than a few times over the years. I've only had one attendant who was incredibly rude and should have been fired long before I met her. All the rest of the times the attendants have been really attentive to me and my family, going far beyond what was expected given the closed and confining environment in which they work. In sum, the company has gone downhill when it comes to customer support with the exception of the flight attendants who have been awesome (except for one devil).

Nicole ** at Newport News Airline needs to be terminated. This employee is useless and rude! She was determine to not let me and my family board the flight. She literally said she did not see our tickets. After stating we received an email confirmation and receipt, she told me that weren't paid for. After asking for a superior, she called security. She stood there, helping other customers.

We were late leaving LaGuardia (weather) to Dallas (DFW) where I voluntarily relinquished my bag at the gate as so many flights had been cancelled and room, of all kinds, were needed... Arrived in Dallas and a miracle, the next leg, to San Antonio, tx, was delayed, so ran to gate with 20 minutes To spare. It was locked. Waiting for the agent to come back to the gate and was treated today arrogance of Albert, A man who feels being rude provides him with a modicum of power perhaps

I called American and was rebooked 12 hours later the next day. When I asked him to release my bag to me so I could get my hand braces go to hotel etc. I was informed that they cannot do that because they are "locked up." However it was suggested I come downstairs and speak to the manager of baggage, which I did, to no avail. So now I've been locked out about playing with 20 minutes before take off I've had my bag with my medical equipment Quarantined... And by foolishly following the advice of customer service got locked out of the terminal and I am freezing sick in pain in the baggage area as access to the secured was ended.

Thank you American Airlines. You deserve to die your corporate death. No when making reasonable decisions no one caring and quite frankly you cannot survive in a competitive environment with such flat-footed processes and people unable to make individual names.

American Airlines left us stranded in Charlotte, NC and hung up on us in Antigua when we were trying to rearrange a flight home after they encountered a ground delay in Miami. We ended up having to pay for a hotel night, book another flight on a different carrier. They refunded the one segment that got cancelled but of course out of a total of 4 segments, the one cancelled was the least expensive. So we had to pay an additional $1,200 to get home when it was all said and done. Mind you, we paid $1,400 a ticket for COACH to Antigua. UNREAL. WE WILL NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER FLY THIS AIRLINE AGAIN!

After being stuck in Phoenix with a three hour delay we finally board the plane in an extreme rush. What did I do when I was waiting for the plane to get fixed. I had a glass of wine in the airport, just like most people do. Anyway, I go right to sleep as the plane takes off. I wake up from the beverage cart smashing left and smashing to the right and loud flight attendant asking everyone if I need something to drink. I then realize I need to use the restroom so I go to the back of the plane so I don't interrupt the beverage cart.

Beverage cart was taking a long time to get to the end of the aisle for me to return my seat so I sat on the flight attendants pull out chair. Beverage cart makes it back there and The old hag female flight attendant who is menopausal I assume start screaming at me in front of everyone on the plane that she is going to fine me for sitting on her seat. I Immediately apologized and told her I had no idea that I was not allowed to sit in that seat But she kept on screaming and humiliating me in front of everyone on the plane how I was going to get a fine. After realizing that this woman was losing it I told her to go ahead and give me the fine and I went back to my seat and went back to sleep??? Second incident, I'm woken up to the wrong name and being told I'm being arrested for being intoxicated. More humiliation.

Denver police had to come get me off the flight to do alcohol testing which I passed. I volunteered to do a breathalyzer and they would not let me do it and I got to watch them laugh and giggle and waste my time with the flight crew About my faith. American Airlines employees treat their customers like ** with no consequences. I will never fly American Airlines again and you shouldn't either, all the flights have mechanical issues and they hardly ever leave on time. So if you have a connecting flight you're screwed. I'm going to pass this review on every bit of social media that exist.

Checked in at airport, printed boarding passes, realized first flight is landing after 2nd flight starts boarding. AA rep said didn't know why it allowed him to check my luggage with less than 30 min between flights & also said my 1st flight was running late. After much anxiety, 1st flight leaves about 1/2 hour late. Landed at 7:13, 2 min before the next flight starts boarding, taxied for a long time. The gate we were supposed to arrive at was occupied, waited for some time, then taxied to another gate. They let us out mid tarmac. It's 7:35, 2nd flight scheduled to leave 7:45.

They were taking carry on luggage off the plane and I saw the man bringing my bag. I walked towards him to get it and he starts screaming and yelling at me to get back. No one had said to stay in a specific spot, there was no sign, just screaming & yelling. I was very embarrassed & humiliated. I finally got my bag, ran in the building & to the nearby gate. Asked them to check and see if my flight had left, was delayed, or if they were holding it (I was told it may be held as several people needed to make the connection). The gate attendant said curtly "Just go to your gate". Walking away, I heard other attendant laughing loudly & mockingly saying "Did she just ask if they would hold the flight" like I was an idiot, more embarrassment & humiliation.

Again I am running trying to make it to the next gate (from gate E25 to E17 at Charlottesville). I am 64 yrs old with 2 bad arms and my hip had been bothering me for last 2 wks. Now, feeling anxious, exhausted, both arms & hip hurting & am running as fast as I can to make my connecting flight. I reach the gate, am told my flight has left (it's still there, just refusing to allow anyone else to board). I ask them what I am supposed to do. They said they could put me up in a hotel, I explained I had people picking me up in Manchester & really need to get there that night. Said they could get me on a flight to Boston (over an hour by car from Manchester) but there was no other flight to Manchester.

Explained several times that I was feeling flushed, nauseous, & needed a minute. His response was "I need to know what you want to do". Told him I would go to Boston, he replied "you have 10 min to get to the gate. I asked if I could get transportation, he said "I can get a wheelchair, but I don't know how long it will take". Fearing I would miss that flight too, I said forget it & start running to the next gate (E17 to C10). Truly thought I would not be able to physically make it, feeling worse on every step.

I finally arrived at the gate, exhausted, nauseous and in pain, only to be rudely ignored by the gate attendant when I tried to talk to them. When I boarded, I was assured several times that my luggage would be on the plane with me. I did not get my luggage until almost 24 hrs after I landed, it's a new set of luggage & was returned to me damaged (so many hoops to jump through to file a claim for the damage that I found it impossible). I was also told there was no allowance to purchase necessities due to luggage being delayed, so went without until my luggage came only to find out this was not true. Whole experience from start to finish was terrible. They offered me a voucher which is useless to me as I have no plans on flying in the next year and would certainly not ever fly American Airlines again.

I have been flying American Airlines for years and have their 2nd highest status of Executive Platinum. I have flown almost 3 million miles on AA. I am trying to book a trip to Europe using my Milesaver miles for business class in May 2018. The only flights available are British Airways and Iberia. Both of those international airlines charge a tax of $300 per person each way, American would only be about $10.00. There is NO AMERICAN AIRLINES flights flying to all of their European cities for a Milesaver rate in May 2018. It's amazing their partner airlines offer those flights.

Since the merger with US Air we are not allowed to contact their Customer service dept by phone anymore. I emailed them yesterday and received this formed letter back to call Customer service, not answering any of my questions or concerns. It also says DONT respond by email. Obviously they don't care at all. I am the National sales manager for my company and will try to have my sales force use anyone but American Airlines.

My family and I have flown American Airlines for the past 60 years and loved it. The merge happened with US Airways and it all went to hell. Ever since they became part of US Airways they are constantly overbooking flights, they have maintenance issues which result in drastically delayed flights. Causing missed connections. Wednesday August 2, I spent 17 hours in DFW airport because of a delayed flight and was never even offered compensation. The customer service has gone downhill and the ticket agents are rude and angry. I'm so upset and disappointed that I am considering moving to another airline permanently. What has happen to customer service?

On 8/2/17 my children were flying home from going to see my mother in Iowa. I purchased the service for American Airlines to accompany them on their flights and see that they get from one flight to the other also ensure their safety by checking my mom's ID when she comes to get them to make sure they don't go with a stranger. This service was provided to them going from Ontario CA to AZ then to Omaha. When the children were returning home they were not provided with this service when I paid for it and my children were let to figure out the change of planes in Dallas TX. Then when they got to Ontario no one checked my ID... I asked why and what happen they said "Oh sorry..." Are you kidding me... My girls were terrified. They have scared my girls from ever flying alone again. This was very unsafe and scary for us all...

On July 26 my daughter was ticketed for AA flight#2462 from LAX to DFW. It was to depart at 2 pm. She arrived at the airport, checked in at the kiosk and then proceeded to her gate. They were boarding zones 4, 5, 6 and the gate was full of people. She was in zone 8 and decided to quickly go to bathroom right next to gate and was there maybe 5 mins... When she returned to gate - it was EMPTY and door closed and no attendants at the desk for American Airlines. She looked thru the window and people were still boarding the plane. She knocked on door but of course it was closed. Another American Airlines attendant from another gate came over and told her she could not get on the flight since door was closed. Instructed her to go talk to another attendant about her options.

She approached another AA attendant and the option was to be on standby for a 11:25 pm flight and she would arrive at her destination at 1 pm the next day which meant she would need to sleep at airport at DFW IF she made the flight. Eventually she got on another flight and arrived at a different location and then it all worked out. My problem was that all agents for AA were RUDE- NON-CARING - individuals. My daughter is 18 but clearly looks 15. You would think that AA would not want a young girl walking around LAX or DFW waiting for flights in this day and age. However, they really don't give a **!

It is shown on the boarding pass that doors close 10 mins before departure. I get this. However, we paid for a seat, we checked in at the airport so they knew she was suppose to get in the seat on the plane. WHO did they give the seat to that we paid for? Probably a crew member or stander by. If stander by then they made money off of the seat I already paid them for. What is the point of checking in your flight if they are going to leave the airport without you? There was no final boarding call - nothing!!! It was as if they said to zones 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9... Hurry board as fast as you can!!!

I have flown many times and it always take a long time to board a big plane... There is no reason to shut a door when you know passengers have checked in at the airport and are there to board. That is zero customer service. AA does not care about their customers at all so I am going to give them as many bad reviews as possible on as many sites as possible and I will never fly this airline again... I don't care if they are giving seats away... I would rather pay a higher price and know that I have a seat on the plane than fly AA and be treated so rude because my purchase doesn't matter to them... They have plenty of people apparently that will sit in my seat that I paid for. RUDE!!!

Issue 1... AA policy on service animals in training is against the law. They refuse to allow a service dog in training on the plane with a handler, instead they treat the dog in training as a pet. They quote they follow the TX Dept of Trans laws to the letter... REALLY? LOOK IT UP AA... Under the Office of the Texas Governor... Texas Disability Law - Service dogs... Texas Law... very first thing... "requires public facilities and common transportation carriers to admit a person with a disability accompanied by a service dog for assistance and also to admit a trainer of service dogs accompanied by a dog for training purposes." Then under Sec. 121.003 (i). A service animal in training shall not be denied admittance to any public facility when accompanied by an approved trainer.

5 hours and countless phone calls to everyone and an online complaint filed... they respond with run around and some odd information concerning possible issues or problems... next step... filling with the Tx DOT... clearly breaking ADA and TX state law... Issue 2... A travel voucher issued for an oversold flight... unlike most airlines operating in the US today, American chooses to give the customer a ticket like voucher that can only be used by either a. mailing it back to American OR taken to an airport by the customer. Other airlines, give customers a hard copy ticket like voucher but put all monies/credits online to be used as needed. However, due to the above issues with a service dog in training, this voucher cannot be used.

Again, after hours at an airport and hours on the phone, which include on brash young reservation person to yell and carry on and say that getting a voucher for volunteering to be bumped was a "privilege" (say what? you volunteer to help them out on an oversold flight and their worthless voucher is a privilege?), the final conclusion was... too bad, so sad... American will NOT extend the time on the voucher, nor will they issue any money back... It is too bad that American does not read or monitor this site... they should... by far the WORST airline customer service out there...

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue. With headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX, they have an extensive international and domestic network with 953 aircraft making it the largest commercial fleet in the world.

• Track your bags: From check-in to carousel, you can track your bags from your smartphone, laptop or tablet.
  • Business Extra: Travel reward program that earns your company points toward traveler awards while the employee continues to earn his or her AAdvandage miles.
  • Oneworld: American has an alliance with the world’s leading airlines which gives their customers access to 1,000 destinations in 150 countries.
  • Global Support: If your flight is delayed and your connection is in jeopardy, the Oneworld Global Support will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security.
  • Travel with your pet: If you follow the rules, you can travel with your pet to all 48 contiguous United States.
  • Best for International travelers, vacationers, business travelers, pet owners and frequent fliers.

Compare Airlines