2. Travel

American Airlines
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5
Based on 1,756 ratings submitted in the last year

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: April 3, 2021

I had a terrible experience with American Airlines on 4/2 flight from Cabo to DFW connecting to MSP yesterday. My mom and brother are now stuck at DFW, because AA didn’t have a seat assigned for my 11 year old brother after we rushed to get through customs for our connecting flight to MSP. They told us he wasn’t checked in for the flight even though we checked him in at the San Jose/CABO airport plus his record number wasn’t connected to ours like AA PROMISED he would be. My mom had to stay behind to try to get my brother on the flight then they bumped them to standby and now may not have a chance to make it home. We were told this was AA fault; however, I am haven’t been helped at this time. Will never fly AA again if someone doesn’t resolve this issue.

Original review: April 1, 2021

On several of my past trips, the seat areas very dirty. When mentioned to an attendant, seemed to be disregarded. Otherwise staff friendly and knowledgeable. Saw a stewardess help a woman through a stressed state about flying..

Original review: April 1, 2021

It’s usually a pleasant experience. Sometimes I have issues with how they change gates to close to the flight time causing me to rush trying to get to the new gate. Their planes are usually relatively comfortable and new with TVs on each seat.

Original review: March 31, 2021

This airline has clearly shown it cares more about the bottom line than its passengers. I and 200 passengers were stuck on a plane for 4 hours during the pandemic. The pilot told us "Sorry, you'll have to wait it out." I heard of many other passengers with the same complaint.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I usually depend upon this airline to be available in more cities. I have more frequent flier miles with them. And, they have removed the expiration date on the frequent flier miles. The prices have climbed, though, which makes it hard to get a reasonable fare. I am a little wary to travel now with Covid prevalent.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Very pleased with American although the time of departure changed drastically and there seemed to be a problem with seating and a delay caused by (we were told) a light in the baggage hold. Price was right and when we weren’t able to leave when we first planned to, there was no problem canceling and rescheduling.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I had all approved vet. papers, vaccinations, ICA (Agricultural dept), reservation for my dog to travel from Colombia to US...upon arrival to the airport, I was denied. No prior notification of the airlines policy change. I was forced to leave my dog behind & now making arrangements to go back with JetBlue accommodations...costing me another huge expense. I will never fly American again & will not recommend to others as well.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I felt completely safe flying American. Everything was done professionally and efficiently. The attendants were helpful and pleasant. I appreciated the social distancing as well as the airline continuing to distribute water bottles and a small snack.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I wish that I could give a negative review. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with an airline. As we boarded the plane on March 19th in Seattle (AA 1471), the first thing the pilot said overhead was "the back engine IS broken, so you will hear some loud noise, but it will be fine once we are in the air". After we pulled from the gate, we sat on the tarmac for about an hour and were surrounded by two fire trucks, a fire SUV, and police patrol. The engine was inspected, and we were indicated to have further inspection at a different location. After another hour, the plane was pulled out of commission. I am unsure why a fully booked flight was put onto an aircraft with a knowingly broken engine in the first place, risking all of our lives, however, nearly all the passengers had connecting flights in Miami. When we finally arrived in Miami, I missed my connecting flight to Grenada (flight 1546), by only 15 minutes.

Since this flight only happens once per day, I then had to face a 24-hour layover. I was the second person in line at customer service, ready to be booked a hotel and meals, which was the very least that could have been done. After pulling everything up, I was told that every hotel in Miami within a 20-mile radius was booked, and there was nothing that could be done. Not only was the staff extremely rude and insensitive, but they also offered zero solutions. I, as a 22-year old sleep-deprived female, was then expected to spend 24 hours during a PANDEMIC on the filthy floor of the airport with only $24 worth of food vouchers. I did not have access to any of my clean clothes as all of my luggage was checked in at that point, nor did I have any of my toiletries. I was unable to sleep as I felt vulnerable and unsafe, and I was supposed to be preparing to meet the dean of my medical school for the first time upon my arrival in Grenada.

This experience was disgustingly unprofessional, and I am requesting not only a full refund but also compensation on top of that to make up for the horrific 24-hour layover I endured. After reaching out to customer service, they only offered a $125 voucher for compensation. $125 would not even buy me a one-way ticket back home! I was not given a hotel, enough vouchers to cover food, 24-hours of COVID-19 exposure, grossly inadequate service, and now a pitiful response. I had to make complete rearrangements in a foreign country due to their negligence after sleeping on a filthy concrete floor and they think $125 makes up for it? Absolutely disgusting!!!

Original review: March 25, 2021

Have no problems with AA...have always accommodated needs and gone the extra mile to help. Take care of special needs when traveling with a disabled person. They send notifications and updates on flights. Their website is fairly user friendly and answers to most questions can be found at AA. Like to support locally based airlines.

American Airlines Company Information