American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

3.8/5 (2055 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: May 7, 2022

You have some staff that are verbally abusive, condescending, and outright horrible people who should not be working for your airline. I was verbally attacked by one of them for no reason. After bringing it to a manager's attention nothing was done. Take a page out of South West's book and treat people with respect and courtesy. There is never a reason to be verbally abusive. It's unfortunately that you don't have system in place to keep your employees in check.

Original review: May 4, 2022

We fly American quite a bit since we have a CC with them. I'm know other airlines have issues as well, but after the last fiasco thought i would finally say what we feel. We took a flight to Cancun with United Airlines (no issues). Flying back with American our son-in-law had issues checking his fishing poles and tackle he was bringing back with us (this was not issue with united when traveled). American employees were aghast at trying to send the pole and fishing tackle as one item and stated as such under their rules the employees said they had never seen this. This took an hour to get sorted.

Once we boarded the flight stayed on the Tarmac for 45-minutes before taking off. Once we landed in Charlotte (late) we had to run to customs and security check point to make our flight. We finally made it to our destination where we waited forever for our luggage because of lightning in the area. We heard this not from an AA employee but a random passenger who was sharing this area. Not once did an AA employee come out to inform passengers of any issues.

The luggage started coming up on the conveyor and none of our 8 member party received our luggage because it never made it to the plane. The luggage attendant was rude and said "oh you never got a text or e-mail?" None of us did - we waited for no reason. We picked up our luggage the next day. Flying American Airlines I've had to deal with mechanical delays on planes, cancelled flights, rude employees, etc... I'm sure other carriers have issues, but i had none with United on our travel to Cancun.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Before my Easter weekend trip, I had never flown American Airlines, and I will NEVER fly American Airlines again! I was on my way home from SLC to PSP and was not ALLOWED to have a carry-on bag because the plane was an RJ-7. I was NEVER told when booking the flight that this plane could not hold any luggage. I was FORCED to check my luggage at that point. The plane had a stop in PHX (35 minutes) where you have to sprint across the airport. I arrived on time and spoke to the ticket agent who informed me that we would not board the plane for an hour, so I went and got my daughter food before the flight. I returned within a half-hour to be told that the plane had taken off and the agent had misstated the information.

I was provided a hotel "voucher" for the night, which later turned out to be a voucher for the most expensive and least comfortable hotel in PHX. I was told that I would not have another flight available for 24-hours unless I sent my 13-year-old daughter to fly by herself!!! I got smart at this point, rented a car, and DID NOT choose to put my fate in American Airlines again. I drove home in 4-hours, rather than the 24-hours American Airlines was going to make me wait. When I went to pick up my bags from American Airlines in PSP, I was left waiting again for two-hours, and when the agent did arrive he stated that he had just clocked-in and that all of his co-workers who were supposed to be working had gone home for the day. If that isn't a tell all of where this company is going... DON'T FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES, you are better off driving.

Original review: April 26, 2022

To begin, I booked our flight to Tampa from Phoenix in January. Paid extra to have a direct flight home from Tampa to Phoenix. In February American took it upon themselves to not only delay our flight to Tampa but also ADD a LAYOVER in Dallas on the way home. Now I was obviously annoyed but chose not to complain at that time as it wasn’t a huge deal. Well cut to the layover as we are waiting to get on our flight home the weather in Dallas is beginning to rain and our flight gets delayed 3 times then CANCELLED ENTIRELY. We rebook one immediately for 3 hours later than our original flight, then that flight gets delayed 3 more times.

All while tons of flights at the airport are being cancelled and the bad weather is scheduled for another 6 hours I expected that our rebooked flight would likely be cancelled as well and the customer service line already had at least over 300 people in it so we got in line to speak to someone regarding what the next step was if this flight got cancelled as well since that one was at 11pm and I didn’t plan to sleep at the airport. Meanwhile the airport employees are referring us to call the customer service line so I called them while we waited in line. Spoke to Karen which she was very polite and understanding but didn’t have a resolution for me so I held for over 2 hours to speak to her supervisor.

After hours in the line we made it to the front and the lady (name began with “So” ** with long hair) was less than helpful and completely rude. Her resolution was that she could cancel the flight we had re- booked and rebook us at the earliest 9pm THE FOLLOWING DAY with no accommodations because it was “weather related”. I again explained that we were not supposed to have this layover to begin with. Her resolution to that rather than admitting that that is poor customer service on American's part was that I should have complained when it was changed. So me being nice and letting that slide was now my fault so you’re encouraging that I complain in advance next time? She then said I was being disrespectful and asked me what I wanted from her. I simply explained that I wanted accommodations if the rebooked flight was cancelled.

She told me I would have to get back in line (the line that now has well over 800 people in it) when that flight was cancelled. I asked her to just place a note in my file that we had waited 3 hours in the line already and that we were requesting a hotel accommodation if the flight was cancelled. She said a note isn’t going to do anything. Everyone else is waiting too and slid me back my ticket and called up the next customer. The other party that was with us was asking the other attendant for the same thing and the lady got extremely hostile and defensive and said “Are you trying to fight me?” None of us were being hostile towards them so for an employee to speak to a customer in that manner is completely unprofessional. Cut to after we left the counter with no resolution I finally got supervisor Quinn on the line and she was very polite and willing to hear me out but unable to help me either.

Then we finally get on the rebooked flight, just thankful that it wasn’t cancelled at this point then get on the tarmac and have to sit there for over an hour behind 15 other planes and then they lost our luggage to top it off which also happened at the DFW airport the last time we had a layover there too. So disorganized and such disrespect to your customers. We had kids and dogs waiting on us that we had to make additional arrangements for, did not make it home until 3am so you also cost 4 people out of work that day as well losing thousands of dollars and your customer service representatives could care less and were actually completely insulting and repulsive with their poor attitudes and lack of compassion towards their paying customers.

I am completely dissatisfied with American Airlines I am a frequent flyer and also spend thousands on your credit card each month. I will consider never doing business with you from now on if that’s how you find it acceptable to treat your customers to add layovers without calling the customer to ask and then blaming the customer for not complaining about it beforehand when the layover has issues. So distasteful.

Original review: April 24, 2022

Booked tickets for 2. But the airline will never assign seats together. They force you to pay more money if you want to seat together in long flights. Online and in flight staff are very rude. I would rather not travel this so called AMERICAN AIRLINES

Original review: April 23, 2022

I booked a business trip return flight from McAllen, TX back to Atlanta, GA through a travel agent, I had my reservation and seat assignment on April 22, 2022. The night before the departure, I signed in and tried to print my boarding pass, and realized my seat was no longer available to me, there were only two seats available and they cost $60 each. I have no choice but to pay $60. Why did they take away my seat assignment? American Airlines sure know how to rip off the passengers.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Long story short. Flights from Munich to Cancun and back. On the way to Cancun one of my connecting flights was canceled out of nowhere. 'Luckily' my final flight was delayed so at least i was able to get catch it after the customer service rebooked me. Still this was very stressful. On the way back the real nightmare occurred. I had to enter and leave the airplane 3 times due to technical difficulties. This led to me missing my final flight home. So they rebooked me for a flight where I arrive!!! 37!!! Hours later than planned with one additional transit and one stay at a shabby hotel. To add insult to injury, they gave me a ridiculous 12$ voucher so I cold get something to eat for the additional 26 hours I would have to stay at the airport.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I bought a round trip ticket and never received a confirmation email. In an attempt to be proactive to limit issues when I arrive for my flight I called and got hung up on while on hold twice. Finally got through and got my confirmation number but not my ticket number. Instead of reading off the number for me, I was directed to their website stating I would be able to find it there, it is not there. So, I call again. This one gave me my number and interrupted me when I tried to confirm that this would be enough to travel mid question to ask if I had any questions, I respond stating that's what I was trying to do, then continued my question. Again, mid question I was redirected to the automated survey. I hope I have all the information I need. Here's to having high anxiety till I get on the flight. Thanks a lot...

Original review: April 8, 2022

My husband and I booked a February 2022 cruise to Australia/New Zealand last April through American Airlines Cruises (AA Cruises). It was canceled due to Covid. The letter announcing the cancellation stated that one option we had was to rebook a similar cruise and the original pricing would be honored. We did so before the October 31 deadline they set, selecting a cruise that leaves January 2023. We had to do this by phone (no other option) after spending an inordinate time on hold. We were assured by the AA rep that the original pricing was in place and that both our deposit and the full amount we had paid for travel insurance was applied to the rebooking. However, the new booking was not displayed on the online passenger portal.

Earlier this year I decided I’d better check on it. It still was not displayed but when I called (another long wait time) I was assured that they had the rebooking information and gave me a new booking#. When I went online to review it, I saw that 1) the price was $2,000 more than the original cruise and 2) it said we had declined the travel insurance. In an effort to get this fixed, I have since spent countless hours on hold and have been bounced around from AA Cruises to Princess Cruises (who the cruise it with) to a company called World Travel, all with no results. Each says the other needs to handle the issue.

American Airlines Customer Service, who I contacted out of desperation, insists that they do not have access to nor information for key people at AA Cruises. They keep telling me I have to call the main AA Cruise number but when I do, I am put on hold again and never get to speak to anyone. Using the chat feature, I have asked for the name and direct line of a supervisor who can help but get told the same thing – I must call the main number and wait for whoever answers. They admit that wait times to get through are excessive. We do get calls from World Travel not to fix anything but to badger us for an extra $180 for the travel insurance (on top of the $385 we originally paid) and threatening to deny us the coverage if we do not pay right away!! Apparently, we need outside help!!

Original review: April 8, 2022

I’ll preface by saying I’ve been loyal to American Airlines most of my life. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t able to fly during the pandemic, but my recent experience was awful. I’m on American’s mailing list and receive many emails advertising destinations and promotions, but I didn’t receive an email stating my credit was expiring. In fact, I called to use my credit for an upcoming trip and it had expired the day before. I asked if I could have the credit reinstated? “No.” Is there a manager I could speak to? “No.” I stated I would prefer to fly with American but may have to fly with another airline if I couldn’t use any of the credit. She stated, “enjoy your flight with them.”

Original review: April 8, 2022

I have always flown American Airlines. I’ve always been very happy with them until my recent flight this year. I had several things I had to move from one state to the next and it required three pieces of luggage. When arriving to the airport and getting my baggage from baggage claim there was no damage to my luggage. However, when I got home and got everything situated settled and unpacked I was missing my Christmas gift which was an Apple Watch. There were other items reported missing as well.

On American Airlines website it states for missing items you must report it within 30 days. And luggage damage must be reported before leaving the airport. Since my luggage was not damaged I didn’t file the claim there at the airport. However, after learning I had several missing items I reported my findings within 12 days. Can anyone Reading this review contact me and let me know if this is happened to you as well? My email address is **. For American Airlines, please replace my missing items or take Responsibility.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I have been an AA Advantage customer for 7 years and am a frequent business traveler. I have held different statuses, Gold, Platinum and Pro and spend $30,000+ every year on airfare. Coming out of the Pandemic and re-engaging in business travel I asked American to retain my status given the circumstance. When met with 1st and 2nd level customer service I was advised it was American's stance that they would not extend status for existing rewards customers. After repeated attempts to learn of an escalation path to no avail the customer service attendant hung up on me.

This clearly demonstrates the value American assigns to its frequent fliers and assures I will be flying Delta for the remainder of my professional career which will translate to hundred of thousands of dollars in airfare. Bravo American. Do not recommend. Planes need updates, service is often sub-optimal, and customer service has now taken a big step backwards. Was looking for a reason to switch carriers and now I have it.

Original review: March 29, 2022

After COVID raged for 2 years, you would think American would do its best to hold onto its most loyal customers. I am a 2.5 M mile flyer, and instead of trying to keep me a loyal AA flier at my current status (Platinum Pro), they are demoting me in status as of tomorrow! They have had a policy in the past of allowing customers to buy up on status, and now all of the sudden, they are pulling back on that offer. Instead of trying to help keep their loyal customers, they are giving them no incentive to stay with them to build back their status. Again, most of us were not flying because of fear of COVID, not because we were using other airlines. American, why not give your most loyal customers a reason to stay with you, and allow us to maintain our status, at least, until the end of 2022? Instead, we are having the rug pulled from beneath us in the middle of the year. Just shameful!

Original review: March 29, 2022

My wife left her wallet on a flight. We knew immediately it was on the plane. The gate person couldn't find it, and we were forced to wait until it turned up. When it did turn up in another city, we were forced to go through annoying process of prepaying shipment and arranging pickup at the other airport.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I made a reservation on 23 March 2022 for flights from 7 June to 14 June 2022 on American Airlines. As I was reviewing my choices, I was shown a screen that said: "For all your travel needs up to $250 statement credit and 40,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 in the first 6 months”. Fair enough, I had taken this deal about 5 years ago and it went OK. I signed up and was approved for a Citibank card that allowed me to use the credit for the purchase of the over-priced ticket. It issued a temporary account number that I tried to use to pay for the ticket. The AA website would not accept the number. I was ready to cancel the reservation but decided to call AA res directly to make the payment with the new number. The agent was nice enough but left me on perpetual hold (45 minutes). I checked the res while on hold and it had gone through (possibly by her efforts) even though the res agent never came back on the phone to tell me so.

I decided to order a pizza for the next day using the card so that I could progress toward the $2,000 requirement. That was accepted and I went to bed. I was subsequently awakened at 3 AM the next day by a text from Citi saying "We're unable to process the charge for pizza. Your temporary card only works for certain purchases”. Very embarrassing! I had to call the pizza store later in the morning and use my AMEX to pay for it. I have very good credit. I then called Citi and they explained that I could only use this card for American Airlines purchases until my actual card came in the mail. I was not told this when creating the account. I investigated further and found that I was not enrolled in the $250 credit 40,000 miles card. The website instead enrolled me in a different program!!!

I called AA res again and was told that there was not anything they could do. It was their mistake, but they could not fix it. I called Citi back and was transferred to the "migration" department to request being transferred to the original program. THEY TOLD ME THEY COULD NOT DO IT. I was stuck with the old bait and switch. This is on the weekend, so I will try calling Citi back to see if can get someone on the US help desk to help me.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Booked a flight DCA to end destination in Orlando. Leg#1 flight #771 from DCA to Miami was delayed causing me to miss my connecting flight to Orlando for funeral the next day. I spoke with customer service desk agent at Miami flight to book alternative transportation and was told the next flight would not get me into Orlando until 1PM the next day too late to make my 10am flight. American Airlines agent advised me if you want to make it on time then to book a car rental in Miami and keep all of the receipt for a future refund. I proceeded in this manner, kept all of my receipts for car rental, gas, etc only to learn after emailing and calling American Airlines Customer Relations team that by policy they do not have to refund my car expenses and would only issue a small travel credit. The value of the travel credit does not even equal up to half of my accumulated expenses. Very dissapointed.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Talk about the absolute worst experience ever! After getting married and having our honeymoon in Cancun… the nightmare began. We sat on the tarmac in Cancun for 52 minutes. Finally taking off then we get to Dallas. Since our flight was late, and we had a layover of 1 hour and 25 minutes before the delay. Immigration was a joke too. So needless to say we knew we were going to miss our flight. Called American Airlines to see if we could get another flight. Lady on the phone said they could get us out but wouldn’t be until 830 the following morning.

Also they would cover room and food for the delay. Finally get thru immigration, and now off to the customer service desk, along with about 70 other folks who were going to be missing connecting flights. After standing in line for near 2 hours there, we finally make it to the counter. The lady was very helpful, but trying to find a flight was a joke! She tried sending us to any airport possible. Said if we wanted to make it back to Portland we would have to wait 48 hours in Dallas on our own dime. Not even a voucher for food! Their best option was to send us to Philly the next morning, have a layover there for 7 hours then fly us to Seattle…. and from there find our own way home?

I don’t think so! I paid for a round-trip flight to Portland Oregon! We sat in the airport all night long, and they had taken our bags from to us for the flight to Philly. While we were waiting at the airport, we decided to look for flights on other airlines. Figured we wouldn’t find anything since the ticket agent at AA said they couldn’t find any other flights on any other airlines. After looking for 3 minutes we found a flight from Dallas, to LAX, then to Portland Oregon the next day. So we decided we wanted to book that flight, but tried to be proactive and get our bags back so they would be with us.

After phone calls and more phone calls, we couldn’t get any answers. Decided to book it and say the hell with AA since they had been no help since the first moment. We went to the ticket counter for AA at 330am to see about getting our bags. Lady was very rude about it, and said she put it in the computer to get our bags back, but didn’t know how long it would take and we just needed to go wait. Wouldn’t even cancel our flight we weren’t going to take, or even make a simple phone call to baggage to get our bags! After waiting 40 minutes for our bags we had to catch our delta flight so we had to leave.

Come to find out, our bags were sent to 3 different locations… Dallas, Philly, and North Carolina…. What a joke! Once we FINALLY made it back to our destination in Portland, 37 hours later mins you, we had to put in for missing baggage. After this experience, American Airlines will NEVER get my service again, and we have let all our friends and family know about how horrible this customer service is.

Original review: March 18, 2022

American Airlines used to be a good airline. I have been a loyal customer and have been able to achieve the highest frequent flyer elite status each year. Recently and as of today, the Customer Relations department services have gone down to drain. In the long run, this might affect the airline as a whole, and hate to see this is going to happen. In order to file complaints, seeking answers for questions and concerns, the only way for customers is to go to the portal and write in. I wrote four emails and never got a reply from the customer relations department until I have the reservation department to send my question on my behalf then just received a phone call from a so-called she claims she is the executive for the department.

She just called to show that she call but has no interest to work with me and address my situation and hearing my explanation. She is hostile and changed her tone and voice once I expressed bad customer relations service provided by the department and has no means for customers to bring issues up further to the channel. Overall, it is a waste of my time and hers to call this morning. I hope the CEO of the company read my review and investigate the services provided by this manager and the department overall.

Original review: March 17, 2022

On January 23rd 2022 I booked a 4-night honeymoon vacation to Key West, which 2 roundtrip flights with American Airlines were part of. The first thing that happens to start the list of many problems is the first flight was cancelled due to weather. The AA agent at the airport told us they knew about this 4-5 hours ahead of time and no notification was sent to us, we checked all morning and the flight showed "on time". After waiting for two chances at standby for 5+ hours our only option was to book a flight the following morning that AA said they would book through United Airlines for us. No proof or tickets were ever given to us or offered at this point.

We show up the following day for the make-up flight, and United Airlines tells us that American Airlines never booked the tickets properly and because of that, we had no flight. We go back to talk to AA supervisor Deborah **, and she gives nothing but excuses (with no care about the situation) and tell me there is no way to print me proof that the tickets were ever booked. This mistake cost us two days worth of luxury hotel reservations. I believe the agent never truly booked us tickets, and used United as a scapegoat to cost us more money. They also shipped our checked bag to Key West on the initial flight to arrive to Key West 2 days earlier than we even could.

I attempted to reach someone to discuss this through their phone system, and was met with 20+ minutes of holding to be told that internally American Airlines does not have a way for customers to speak with someone about the compensation they owe certain customers. Every step of the way American Airlines makes things as terrible and impossible as they can for their customers. Avoid this company at all costs. There is no worse option for travel in the industry than American Airlines.

Original review: March 14, 2022

The saga continues on my way home on Sunday. While going through security I received a notification that my flight that was supposed to leave at 5:30PM was delayed until after 7PM. This would mean already that I would miss my second flight and be stuck in PA. When I went to talk to someone at the gate they told me that my only options were to fly standby on a very late flight, with slim chance of getting on the flight, wait UNTIL TUESDAY to fly home or take the first flight but then BE STUCK IN PENNSYLVANIA.

I had specifically chosen that flight so I could be home Sunday evening since as a teacher I had to work Monday and could not miss school. I immediately told them I wanted a refund and ended up having to drive over 5 hours home by myself and pay for an expensive rental car to guarantee I would get home that night. Being exhausted, frustrated, and pregnant I am extremely disappointed in American Airlines. I have never had such a bad experience. I understand that weather happens, delays happen, but the way that I was treated after spending hundreds of dollars is still shocking to me. I do not plan on flying American in the future.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Was returning from vacation and they cancelled my flight. The people I spoke to on the phone and in person were rude and basically just took the attitude "sucks to be you." They booked me on another flight more than 2 DAYS later. I missed an incredibly important doctor appointment. I missed work. My car spent 2 extra days in long term parking. I was compensated for nothing. No meals. No hotel stay. Just a big middle finger after hours of waiting in line.

They said they don't compensate for flights cancelled for weather. It was sunny out. There is no way the flight was cancelled for weather conditions, they just said that so they did not have to compensate anyone. I have pictures of the "terrible weather" that shows the sun shining bright. Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I booked a trip for a long weekend with my son. They screwed up my reservation, lost my son’s reservation, hours on hold with customer service, had to buy another ticket to get my son to NC. Not even sure he has a reservation for our flight home. On hold with customer service for 4 hours yesterday only to be told I can only take care of it at the airport. Horrible experience!

Original review: March 12, 2022

I was in the middle of booking my flight - typed in all of our info and went to pay when it kicked me saying that, that was no longer the price. How if I’m in the middle of booking can you change the price. This is a terrible policy and complete **. Super disappointed.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I have been a member for years and have had struggles in the past, but this was so beyond bad. It seems like something out of a movie. My ex husband passed away, so our daughter and I had to fly to CA where he lived. We inherited his dog and needed to get her back home to FL with us. I spent over a week working with nearly 10 American Airlines representatives to get everything we needed and ensure we had no issues getting home. After spending hundreds of dollars on the "right" kennel, the vet and required paperwork and changing the flight and dog shipping and car rental due to changing information every time I called - we never even got on the plane! We arrived with everything we were told we needed - myself and daughter with 3 big suitcases and a big dog kennel on a pushing cart. We were told we had to go to different place, we go there - they say, no - go to this place.

We end up at Pet Shipping and there the lady was EXTREMELY RUDE telling us we needed to take the dog to the AA Cargo Building over a mile away! HOW?? Every single person we talked to were rude and telling us "that's not my department". I said "Can someone PLEASE help us?!" The woman at the counter just stared at me and said, "We can't help you." At that point, a stranger offered to get us in his van with the dog and suitcases and drove us to the Cargo building. Then it got real bad. They starting loading her up, then said it's too late to load her! We had been at the airport for 2 HOURS trying to get this done! Then they say we're missing documents which NO ONE every said anything about needing! I started having a panic attack at this point and nearly threw up.

My daughter just lost her father, we are grieving and NO ONE at AA would help us! I had to call my family to drive back to LA from 1.5hr away to get us back to their house. We missed the flight, the dog didn't go and I missed my car rental. I ended up having to rent a car the next morning and drive from CA to FL because AA representatives don't know what the heck they are doing. So much money wasted and was days late getting back to work. This affected my work, my personal life and lost a lot of money. This experience was literally traumatic. I am beside myself how absolutely horrific this experience was.

Original review: March 7, 2022

COMPLAINT REGARDING TRAVEL CREDITS. Dec 24, 2019- I purchased 2 First Class tickets from SAT (San Antonio, TX) to LIH (Lihue, Hawaii) for a trip scheduled May 7 2020 for $3269.18. Apr 27, 2020 Due to pandemic restrictions I cancelled the May 7 2020 trip. I received emails stating that the credit could be applied to a future flight. April 8, 2021 I rescheduled the trip to Kauai for Sept 21, 2021, applying the credits from the previous cancellation. I paid an additional $870 due to increase in cost of tickets for a total cost of $4139.18. Aug 9, 2021 I cancelled the scheduled Sept 21, 2021 trip due to continued pandemic restrictions and my husband’s health condition. I received email stating that the credit could be applied to a future flight.

Mar 6, 2022 I tried to reschedule the trip for May 15, 2022 and apply the credit from the cancelled 2021 trip. The reservations person I spoke with mentioned that the credit must be used within 1year of the previous purchase, (that was April 8) but said because my proposed reschedule was only 13 about months from that date it could probably be approved. However- she came back and said her manager refused to allow us to use the credit because most of the original funds had been paid in Dec 2019.

When logging into my account on the AA site, I click the “Have travel credits? Find them now” link and see notices that credit for the tickets purchased in April 8 can be applied to a new trip. These notices have been in my account since August 2021 and continue to be there after I talked to Reservations on March 6, 2022. NOWHERE on the AA site does it say that credits from a cancelled trip can only be reapplied once and that a second cancellation makes the funds initially paid no longer available to the passenger for new trips.

Original review: March 6, 2022

I checked in two suitcases in Orlando, Florida, and expected to have them when I and my wife arrive in Boston, MA. I paid $60 for this service. Simply, I paid for my luggage to be delivered to me at the Boston Logan airport. This is a scenario of what happened in Boston: 1) I and my wife arrive in Boston around 3:30 pm and wait 45 minutes and do not see our luggage. 2) I go to the luggage desk of the AA and they say one of my suitcases is in Washington and the other is in Philadelphia. 3) I get very upset because I have wasted 1 hour by now and I ask to speak to a supervisor--I filed a claim. 4) To add insult to the injury, there are no supervisors! I waste another 10 minutes waiting for the non-existent supervisor!

5) I call the AA phone number and wait 30 minutes to receive a very offensive and rude explanation of why the service I paid for has not been done! A multi-billion dollar company's representative tells me, "We cannot call you every 5 minutes to tell you where your luggage is." The tone was condescending as if they were talking to a 5-year-old. 6) I go to the check-in section of AA and talk to a supervisor. He tells me mishandling the luggage happens a lot. I get angry and ask why. He says other airlines do it too! If everybody is doing a wrong thing, it does not mean that you're doing the same wrong thing is justified or acceptable!

I and my wife are as of now 8:40 AM March 6 waiting to receive our luggage! I will file a complaint with whichever company is responsible and reasonable to listen to me. Based on my horrible and time-wasting experience, it seems the AA is not such a company.

Original review: March 6, 2022

The worst airlines ever. It is the second time that we are in the airport for their 10:45 pm red-eye flight to Miami and they rescheduled for NEXT day at 11 am. A 12 hours delay. Absurd! My husband is missing his whole day of conference tomorrow.

Original review: March 1, 2022

We had a horrible 2021 with American Airlines in terms of reliability and customer service. We had delays on two trips for 36 hours each trip. American Airlines customer service was THE WORST!!! The customer service supplied the bare minimum by legal standards for the passengers. When we got delayed in Jamaica for 36 hours they kept us at the airport too long knowing that the plane was not going to fly out that day and provided us with $12 meal vouchers for lunch & dinner which didn't even cover the cost of ANY full meal at the airport. They put us up in the sketchiest hotel that had armed guards right outside of the gate and I'm pretty sure the hotel definitely had beg bugs.

Trip two was a little better on the delays thanks to the European Union's wonderful travelers rights where American Airlines actually had to put us up in a decent hotel in Europe and provide a full meal. However, once we arrived in Miami we had to stay overnight again. This hotel was HORRIBLE! The bathrooms were incredibly dirty (stains and hair all over the floors), the sheets were stained and the floors definitely weren't vacuumed. American Airlines also provided us with a $12 dinner voucher while stuck in Miami that we could use at the airport... The only problem is they gave us the voucher after we already left security so there was nowhere to use the voucher.

My wife and I took 3 other flights with American Airlines in 2021 that were all delayed causing us to miss certain family events and for us to endure additional hotel, rental car costs with 0 reimbursement. My Wife and I have flown 3 other airlines this year and have not had 1 single issue that we experienced with American Airlines. I can say that even though it's a mild inconvenience to fly a different airline since DFW is American's HQ, it's great to actually arrive when you intend to! Please nobody fly this horrible airline that will take your tax paying dollars for a bail out but do absolutely nothing in return for you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

The staff are the rudest, least helpful I have ever encountered! I will NEVER flying American Airlines again and I will be sure to share my experience with anyone who will listen!!! My minor daughter was flying into the Philadelphia airport via American Airlines. I spoke with a minimum of three staff all of which were unhelpful, rude, disrespectful and unprofessional! The attitudes I encountered when trying to get guidance was deplorable! In these times of sex trafficking I would think the staff would be versed in preventive measures and willing to assist in precautionary measures specifically when a minor with learning disabilities is flying unaccompanied.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

American Airlines made us wait three days in Mexico due to blizzard. Completely understand, but the connection flight from Cancun through Miami was impossible to connect if you Sat on the second half of the airplane. My family run since we got of the plane and we were 8 minutes before flight departure and they would not let us in, the gate closed 10 minutes before departure. They were late on departing and they could not even wait a few minutes to close the gate for their connection flight. Horrible, not traveling with them again.

American Airlines Company Information