2.33/5
Based on 163 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Delta Air Lines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

2005 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Myself and my daughter was in Boston airport for the first after her surgery. Everyone was so rude from security, to Wendy’s and once we reached the gate (A8) to ask questions Ann ** was very rude and not helpful at all. We stood at counter for about 20 min before she even said anything to us. I’m so disappointed and my flight was pretty expensive and with this being only our second flight I nervous to deal with this airline again! I’m so upset because my child just received brain surgery and to be treated with such disrespect was shocking! I felt as if we were the only people receiving that bad service with us being **!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

An indication of the ordeal I would face, was when I tried to check in online one day before my January 26 flight with Delta Airlines. I tried to check in online, but received an error message that I should check in at the (Haneda, Japan) airport counter. The day of the flight, I checked in at the counter as I was instructed to do. At the counter I was forced to check in my carry-on as it was deemed to be too heavy. Delta does not have weight restrictions for carry-on. I was made to check in my carry-on for USD 200. Unbeknownst to me, at the time of receiving my boarding pass, they had added the SSSS code to it, after which I was treated like a criminal up to the point of my final destination. My personal belongings were repeatedly dug up, and I made to go through multiple body screening and pat downs. This started at Haneda Airport and while transiting via Los Angeles (LAX) airport.

Even though I was traveling on a single ticket, I had to check out then check in my luggage again at LAX. I was told at the Delta check in counter at LAX that I needed to pay another USD 199 for my carry-on or I couldn't take it with me. I couldn't leave my carry-on, so I paid it. While waiting to board my flight at LAX an announcement came over the public system inviting travelers for that particular flight to check in their carry-on for free, after just charging me for mine.

Since then my sister and I have been in dialogue with someone from Delta. They conceded that I should not have paid a second time for my luggage, but insisted my carry-on was too heavy, and the initial charge stands. Since they had linear limitations, I would have understood if they measured my carry-on and presented the measurements with their claims. However, I was told it was too heavy, though there is no weight limit. The fact that they then added the SSSS code to my boarding pass clearly showed that I was being discriminated against. There is nothing in my past to trigger this, as I don't even have as much as a traffic ticket against my name.

To make matters worse, Delta has sought to dismiss the case, by refunding the second charge for my luggage in LAX, by making out cheque to me using my sister's address. I don't live with my sister and Delta was informed of this before the check was made out. This is very unprofessional! Shouldn't my carry-on be measured instead of weighed, based on the information Delta provide on its website? With the events that followed I felt I was discriminated against, and made to unnecessarily check in my carry-on at a cost. Due process was not given in my situation. Shouldn't the airline have indicated in the itinerary that I would need to check out then check in again at the connecting airport? It is possible I could have changed my flight and spared additional transportation costs.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I was recently on an international flight on Korean Air KE0036, a Delta co-share. I was told when it was booked over 8 months ago, I would get Delta points. This Flight was my second leg of a flight from Daytona Beach, with a return on February 28th. Even after the ticket was booked, I followed up and call Delta to checked, and was told yes since it a co-share I would get points. I also checked at the Atlanta terminal too, twice even. Once in the concourse Delta desk, and once at the international terminal, outside security during a long layover due to a cancel/delay Delta flight due to equipment issues. They also confirmed I would get MQM, MQS, or MQD. After a week in Korea I check and noticed no MQM, MQS, or MQD, for that segment?

I then tweeted @Delta on Twitter. They said as part of their compensation package they can only offer me point or money, and was directed to reach out to your Customer service. I would not have booked travel to Korea with Delta and their co-share not to get any MQM, MQS, and MQD and confirmed this with Delta. I only have the info I was giving from your Delta representatives, one the phone and in person. I even follow through as I was told to make sure Korean Air had my Delta number on the ticket, and when I check in to Korean Air it was already there.

I’m now also concern about my return trip. It's not about the points. It's about the status as a business travel that live weekly flying. I’m expecting no less my MQM, MQS, and MQD as a normal Delta flight. I even check and my fare was U - Shuttle Service (no reservation needed/seat guaranteed). It was not a discounted fare. I put this back on you Delta to make right. I have also filed a complaint U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the Secretary of Transportation. My receipts and ticket never showed that this ticket was no good for MQM, MQS, and MQD. I'm still fighting them on this. No love from me for Delta.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

A soldier was on board deceased. All passengers on board were told to stay quiet as we were going to sing the national anthem for the soldier. The flight attendant stated passengers were not allowed to sing the anthem due to company policy as many passengers wanted to. All due to others from different countries, this is America. Your jobs in America. Business based out of America and you're going to tell us not to sing the anthem? This is part of who and what we all are. If you're embarrassed to sing our anthem or pay proper tribute to a soldier who have his life for all us, you all should be ashamed of yourselves as a whole company. Against company policy. Well your company just violated our constitutional right to free speech!!! You're so worried about different races. Well you should be concerned with your own and pay tribute to a soldier who gave his life for all us.

This is America not Syria. If they get so offended then don't come to our country period. We should not have to be quiet in a matter like this. If they are going to America then they should have to adjust to what America is all about. How could your company be so disrespectful, rude and arrogant towards your passengers and the loss of a soldier? Your company is not worth anyone ever paying you to get where they're needed if you as a company can't let us as Americans use our constitutional right of free speech if that offends someone who gives a damn we live here. And a soldier passed away fighting for us period. I will never fly with Delta again as many others will also hear of this. This company is the up-most disrespectful I have ever been involved with. Good job at being ashamed of who you are as of America.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

As I am typing this, I've been waiting on phone for 45 minutes for Delta customer rep. Called to re-book flight due to winter snow storm in Detroit. Got one rep after waiting approx. 45 min. She told me I could reschedule my flight from Fr. 2/9/18 5.25pm Syr to SAT. Gave me a Sat connection. Then stated I'd have to wait approx 2 min. for booking agent. Since then, I've waiting another 40 minutes. I would have liked to reschedule my flight online but when rescheduling due to weather... no luck... only phone reschedule possible. Still waiting for someone to answer the phone while listening to the idiotic recording telling me I could upgrade or reschedule my flight online, which I CANNOT. Empty promises, and lies... that's all I've got so far. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I paid a $75 fee at Pittsburgh to go standby on an earlier set of flights to Atlanta and then Fort Lauderdale. I arrived in Atlanta and Delta wanted another $75 to put me on standby for the available FLL flight. No respect for customers - they just view us as lambs to fleece. I'm going back to flying United.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Delta charged me $400 to move my flight up a day. They then cancelled my flight claiming they weren't paid. I proved they were paid. They refused to compensate for my time to book my flight a second time while collecting $400 dollars. They never informed me my flight was cancelled. I would have arrived at the airport to have no seat.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Horrible. They charged me to bring my surfboard from Hawaii to Los Angeles. My surfboard was breaking in pieces and I show the attendant, and they denied to pay for my damage, so I lost my surfboard and nobody cared from Delta. It's a shame What happened, the worst company in the business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

A joke - spoiled by Northwest and roomy seats - friendly flight attendants and gate agents. These part time/non-employee attendants could care less. I asked for boarding with first class and was told I'd board with other passengers, not first class - although was advised I could probably upgrade as soon as she had her count????

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

RE: Captain Randy **. For the past two days you were an incredible Captain and Gentleman. Thank you. As you know, it all started between Salt Lake and Minneapolis when you received the news, and promptly informed us that we would be landing in Rapid City, South Dakota because the Minneapolis airport could not handle us at that time.

We all deplaned a bit stunned but in good spirits. While the plane was not large, it was not small either and our group quickly filled the small airport and overwhelmed the staff at the one restaurant/bar but we all waited in line and it was just fine. You kept us up to date as the afternoon progressed and you did the new thing airline are now doing in situations like these – ordering pizza. We all appreciate this gesture, keep it up Delta. However, you did it with a twist, YOU HELPED SERVE THE PIZZA. You made sure that we all had plates, napkins and plenty to eat. I think we were all stunned right then and there.

Then came the news that the Minneapolis airport was closed and we would have to spend the evening in Rapid City. But you didn’t leave us hanging. You gave us all instructions (and confidence) on what to do and expect the next morning. Be here by 6:30 and we would go through the security section with our name and previous day’s boarding pass.

That evening we all received cancellation notices on our phones but we believed what you said and we were all there the next morning. Only when we asked did you inform us that you had been on the phone for two hours the evening before to ensure that we all would be getting on an 8 am flight out. The next morning we were at the airport, standing in a painfully slowly moving line. You were able to talk with the three overwhelmed check-in attendants as well as security. Those with no bag to check and no boarding pass could go straight through security with just their ID and knowledge of our previous day’s seat. Those of us that had to check luggage still had to stand in line but they hand wrote tags to get us on our way.

When we got to the gate, you again smoothed the way. Once the agents realized that assigning us all new seats would take hours, you convinced them to check us off of the old manifest and we all just sat in our old seats or found another. No one was upset. We just ALL wanted to be on our way. And we were. ALL of us. You didn’t leave anyone behind.

Of course the final fun. When we landed we were three feet from the gate and we had to wait for them to dig out the entrance ramp from the snow so that we could get off the plane. Again, because the plane and ramp didn’t quite meet up and we needed to mind our step, you were actually there to ensure no one fell.

You did not have to do many or any of the things you did those two days. But you did. You are not only an incredible Captain but a great leader. You made us all feel like the airlines actually cared about us that day. Thank you Captain **. It is a story we will all tell for years.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We booked three bags Bombay-Paris-Atlanta-Dallas on 12/23/2017. The flight was fine all the way. At Atlanta, we cleared Customs, and dropped off the three bags for DL 1363 for Atlanta. At DFW, two bags arrived; the third was missing. We reported the missing bag, and came home. Our bag contained new Sprees, shoes, clothes, children's ethnic wear and other items. A month later, Delta informed us the bag had not showed up and offered us a Montreal Convention "fixed" amount of $1600, way less than half of the cost of items lost. My son's wheelchair is also damaged to the extent that we have to buy a new chair for him. After we complained, Delta sent us a travel voucher for $250 for my son (who is mobility, sight, and speech disabled and can't travel by himself). What despicable service from an international air carrier! I wonder how long it will be before the company goes bankrupt.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Delta representatives at TPA airport and JFK airport are the most unprofessional people I had work with. In case of possible delays they doesn't help us but instead doing inappropriate things and tried to completely ruin our trip. They lazy, slow and doesn't care about you. More important they obvious showing you that they doesn't care.

TPA representative had rebooked connection tickets for us with Aeroflot that wasn't even permitted by Aeroflot. In one hour they did help only for 1 family of whole line! We was second and they doesn't even helped us. Delta gate representatives constantly left the workdesk. It was the most inconvenient way possible with awaiting of 24 hours at airports without any food or supply. And that rebooked flights actually wasn't created. It was fiction! After arriving first connection JFK airport We had to rebook it again.

And JFK Delta terminal representative MICHAEL completely messed our older and new books up. We wanted to move to the next airport at the same day but these guys spent 1 hour on phone and did screwed our trip completely. We spent so much time and nerves to restore our flights after them and lost our luggage. We still don't know where they sent our luggage to. I really regret We didn't go to Aeroflot from beginning. They had to fix all the flights shortly after them to set a new flight at the same day what actually was possible while Delta guys doesn't care to dwell us in New York for more than 24 hours with no dinner or lodging for the night. We are strongly recommend do not use Delta Airlines to plan your trip or even ask for help at Delta terminals. It could ruin your vacation.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Timeline on my recent Delta trip. Original flight was scheduled for 1/6/18. Leaving JAX at 6 am and arriving in JFK at 8:27 am. Due to weather the trip had to be rebooked, Delta was kind enough to rebook us on a flight the same day, and that's where the kindness ended! 1/5/18 - I receive an email notification that the flight was cancelled and rebooked to a flight that left JAX at 10:50 am and had 2 layovers; one in ATL and one in D.C and would not be arriving in JFK until 7 pm that night. I called Delta that evening to see if there is anything more direct since we were all traveling with lap seat infants. Whilst there was nothing that could be done to get us on a more convenient flight the Delta representative was kind enough to offer over the phone check in. All the information about myself, my brother, and my sister in law was provided, INCLUDING THE FACT THAT WE EACH HAD AN INFANT.

1/6/18 - 9 am arrive at JAX airport. Complete curbside check in. The curbside representative saw all 3 infants and even commented on each of them and gave us our tickets. We asked several times if we were okay with the babies and was assured everything was fine. 10 am - get through the security line for them to tell us we do not have infant tickets and we have to go back to the Delta check in to get the correct ones. We run to Delta, plead our case, new tickets are issued and we are told that we won't have any issues with our connecting flights. Because of having to go back to Delta and going through the security line a second time we literally make it to our first flight as they are closing the doors. 10:50 am we get on flight 858 to ATL.

A flight attendant took my carry on bag, despite me telling her that I needed those items for my 11 month old daughter (bottles pacifiers, snacks, etc) and just shoved it in a random overhead in the back of the plane. Needless to say it was a VERY long flight with my baby since I had nothing to entertain her with. 12:00 pm - arrive in ATL, with our next flight taking off at 12:45 am. I have to wait till everyone gets off the plane and then look for my carry on diaper bag that's been stowed god knows where. 12:30 pm - arrive at the gate for flight 150 to D.C. The desk clerk prints off our tickets, but surprise there is no record of infant travelers! They close the doors to the flight and keep telling us we're probably not going to make it on and this is our fault for not checking the tickets (reminder for you, the JAX Delta representative told us the system would be updated to reflect the infants for all of our flights on that day).

The ATL representative starts calling a bunch of people (no clue who, probably lunch or something) and then lets us on the plane. When we get on the plane, we're told 3 infants can't be in a row together and we all have to sit somewhere else, even though our tickets are all together! So now we've successfully delayed this flight for anyone who is on board. 2:30 pm arrive at D.C and wait on flight 3694 to JFK. No real issues there except a flight delay due to weather (Don't worry Delta, I'm not blaming you for that). 7 pm arrive in JFK. Wait at the baggage terminal for an hour and a half (because we were told that's how long it would take for the baggage to reach the belt). 8:30 pm I wait in line at the Delta baggage office to try and get an update. (Mind you; we have no car seats and it's 10 degrees outside the airport and all our coats are in those bags.)

9:30 pm- reach a clerk at the Delta baggage office in JFK for them to tell us that they don't know where our luggage is. Our luggage made it on to the flight and they have no idea why after 2.5 hours it hasn't reached the belt yet. I suggested maybe calling down to the people that load/unload the luggage at the plane for an update and that seemed like a crazy foreign concept and no one had any idea how to do that. 10 pm - still in the Delta baggage office waiting on an update. Now my 11 month old daughter is 2 hours past bedtime and all of the food and snacks have been depleted and she is PISSED. Another Delta representative comes up to me and says with the more attitude than I cared to endure at that moment, "Why would you have your baby out in this. You should take her home, call the Delta number and file a claim for your luggage."

Considering I am on vacation, I have no car seat to leave the airport with, no coat to put on my infant daughter and no food to feed her I will admit I almost lost it on this woman. 11 pm -Our luggage and car seats finally reached the belt DAMAGED!!! - my suitcase has a completely ripped out bottom - my car seat won't latch across the chest and the fabric is torn - and a number of small personal items damaged/missing, most likely because my suitcase was missing a bottom!!! We arrived home (JAX) last night and I called Delta first thing this morning about these issues. Waited on hold 2.5 hours (which I get, there are a lot of people calling about Delta's terrible customer service right now).

The woman I speak with drops me off at the website to tell me to file the claim online for my bags (no guidance, or assistance, just a "here you go") and when I ask to talk about all the other complaints I have, I get dropped off into a hold queue that is so busy right now the message says they're not taking calls at the moment. In conclusion, I completely understand we had this horrible snow storm 2 weeks ago (I am in FL and it snowed here) so I get it that delays were caused. I'm not complaining about our flight being rebooked, or anything else weather related.

I am complaining because a) I spoke with and saw a number of Delta representatives, all of which were told we were traveling with infants and none of them printed infant tickets causing us to be seconds away from missing our first flight. b) Our luggage was lost in JFK (I say lost because no one could tell me where it was) and the average wait to get luggage was 1.5-2 hours and we had to wait 4. c) Our items were damaged and missing. d) The Delta representatives are clearly sick of speaking with customers because they are all extremely rude and have just run out of cares to give to their customers. So Delta you clearly owe your reps some lunch or a bonus or something because they are making matters so much worse by just not caring.

Now I have filled a claim online for my damaged items however the website would only accept one upload, so I have no idea if you got the picture of the damaged personal items, luggage, or car seat but I'll be more than happy to go over all the information with someone in the estimated 6-8 weeks I was told it would take for a Delta claim member to follow up. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I recently had a horrific flight on Iberia Airlines. I was flying Delta during the Atlanta Airport power outage and feared the worst. Instead, Delta surpassed all my expectations! DETAILS: I was traveling with my wife and 4 small children. Our tickets had been pushed to standby. We called and immediately got a Delta rep. She was patient, clear, and painstakingly walked us through each step of the way in getting us assigned to seats for BOTH legs of the trip. She also stayed on the line to verify that I had received email confirmations for both flights. When we arrived at the airport the attendants at the gates as well as the stewardess went out of their way to ensure that our kids were relocated to seats next to their parents. The best insight into a company is how they deal with a disruption. Delta passed with flying colors. I will go out of my way to select them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Delta provides very poor customer service and has just lost a valuable future customer. I noticed on Delta Hub newsletter that Cindy ** was mentioned for outstanding contributions to customer service and SkyMiles support. However, I have had a much different experience. I am a United Platinum member. I was considering traveling with Delta since I will be flying to Atlanta. When I applied for status match, I received an email from Cindy stating that she believes my credentials submitted is not valid. Essentially she is accusing me of faking my United status.

I had provided all my personal information. How can she make this conclusion? Her conclusion is absolutely wrong and my United status is very valid. I had provided all the screenshots and information that was requests. More than anything, this is very insulting as I like to understand what method she used to arrive at this very wrong conclusion. She left no contact information and she said that all future requests will be discarded. How insulting is this? This does not seem like good customer service. When I tried to call Delta, they said the wait time is over 2 hours. I don't think I want to do business with Delta. I will stay with United.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We had reservations for a trip to Punta Cana from December 5th to December 12th 2018 through our agent Lilia ** (agency Funjet Vacations, telephone # 718-996-5086). Our package included flights, hotel, and insurance ($300 for both people) and was purchased through Delta. We were supposed to fly out at 8:30 am on January 5th, 2018. We received an email at 10 pm on January 4th that our flight is delayed by 1.5 hours, and then an email saying that the flight was canceled, but that we shouldn't worry because we will be placed on an alternative flight. We were never placed on a different flight. We attempted to call Delta (as did our agent), but that turned out to be futile. After 2 hours of unsuccessful phone calls, we decided to wait until morning. In the morning, our agent was able to reach Delta and was offered a flight on January 7th, with two layovers, therefore taking up the whole day.

In the end, it would turn out that we would have only 4 days of vacation left, despite paying for 7 days. Obviously, we did not agree to that arrangement and had to cancel our trip, thinking we got unlucky due to the weather. But later we found out that first of all, flights took place on that same day since the weather for flying on January 5th was actually fine, but also, the Delta flight to Punta Cana directly after our scheduled flight left on time (which was the same time to which our flight was originally delayed to!). So in the end, it appears that Delta canceled our flight due to some other reasons (technical problems, extra precaution, etc.), but not due to the weather.

As a result, our vacation was ruined (and we don't even know when we can take vacation again), I had a nervous breakdown from all the anxiety and ultimate failure of our trip to take place, and now, on top of everything else, we have to pay $300 for the insurance due to Delta not fulfilling their obligation to us. Since we no longer can take our vacation at this point, we believe that it would be only fair if Delta provides us with some compensation for causing us such inconveniences and stress (like other airline companies do that we have had experience with, and we fly a lot!), and of course not to charge us the $300 for the insurance (since it wasn't us that cancelled the trip, but rather Delta cancelled on us). We look forward to hearing back from you.

Resolution response: Dec. 28, 2017

Update , Delta has issues a full refund for my cat. Im satisfied they took the time and read my review and helped me.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I went to the airport a day early to make sure I have no problems with my trip. I gave my pet carrier to the Delta counter and made sure that they themselves measured it since I wanted everything to go smoothly. They measured it and said you’re good to go and the carrier will fit no problem for your flight tomorrow. I board the next day from Dayton, my connecting flight was in Atlanta. I get boarded onto the plane and soon land in Atlanta. After landing in Atlanta I get boarded for my final flight back home they tell me, "Unfortunately we are going to have to rebook you since your carrier won’t fit under the seat".

Keep in mind this is how I got to Atlanta with the cat under the seat. And now all of a sudden it's an issue. You can’t just kick someone out the flight midway to their destination for something that was Delta's fault of not properly ensuring if it fits before the flight. Me and my cat get delayed until the next flight. I knew this was bad since this was my cat's first time ever flying and he was terrified. Then I got booked to Dallas Love Field instead of DFW, my luggage was still going to DFW. This was a big mess for me as I got delayed again. It made me sick to my stomach to see my cat locked in his carrier for 12 hours. I immediately went to the Customer care and demanded to arrange it to where me, my luggage and my cat were all going to one place (DFW).

After finally realizing they messed up pretty bad on their end they booked me on the next flight to my destination. Another delay... My trip was supposed to be max 4 hours and Delta really put my cat's life in danger by turning this trip into 12 hours. A cat cannot eat or drink under this much tension. Also the cat was was to be in its carrier at all times according to Delta’s rules so this 12 hour trip with him stuck in the kennel was harsh. This was a very cruel treatment from Delta and it truly ruined my holidays. It hurt me very much seeing my cat starving and stuck all day inside the kennel.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I travel for work every week and normally leave out of my hometown airport that Delta serves. They have about a 50% on-time record out of this airport. I booked a flight for my wife who travels with disabilities and sure enough the plane leaves 30 mins late for Atlanta. She had requested wheelchair service months in advance and when she arrived late there were no wheelchairs to take her to her next flight that by now had a real tight connection. She missed her next flight and Delta did not give her a dinner voucher only a hotel cheap room voucher and then dropped her off at the curb to fend for herself. First bus came and it was crammed full so she is still stuck at the curb alone. Delta abandon her. SHAME ON DELTA. I now drive an hour out of my way to catch flights out of Orlando FL just so I do not have to fly Delta anymore. Delta is losing lots of business because I fly out of country every week.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My wife and I were scheduled to fly from Tulsa, OK to Abu Dhabi on November 19, 2017. We got to the Tulsa airport at 4:00a for our 6:00a flight to Atlanta, then Amsterdam, and finally Abu Dhabi. We were flying business class/first class on all flights. When we checked in, the agent in Tulsa demanded that we provide an e-visa number for entry into Abu Dhabi. We have never had to provide this before as an entry visa is granted when we enter Abu Dhabi. However, the agent refused to allow us to board since we didn't provide him with the e-visa number. He did tell us that he could reschedule us for a flight the following day, at a cost of around $5,000 (above and beyond the $10,000 we had already spent), but we would still need to provide the e-visa number. (We found out later that we could not get an e-visa number for a trip to Abu Dhabi.)

We gathered up our luggage, went home, and called Delta Sky Priority to re-schedule our flight. They were able to schedule us for no charge on a flight the next day. They also told us that we would not need to provide an e-visa number to board the flight, which we didn't. We boarded the next day without problem and made it to Atlanta.

In Atlanta, we boarded our flight to Amsterdam, but were then told that a baggage door on the plane would not latch and that we would have to deplane until another plane could be brought in for our flight. We all moved to another gate and waited 1.5 hours while another flight boarded and left and a new aircraft was brought to the gate for our flight. When we landed in Amsterdam, we were told that we had 9 minutes to run to a nearby gate to catch our connecting flight to Abu Dhabi. We made it, but our luggage did not. We spent the first 27 hours of our stay in Abu Dhabi without our luggage. It was finally delivered at 1:00a the following morning.

On our return flight, we found out that, when our flight reservations to Abu Dhabi were changed, our return flights to Tulsa were also changed (why is unknown - we did not request it). This resulted in us having 2 reservations for our return flight which caused quite a bit of confusion at check-in at Abu Dhabi. KLM finally got it figured out, but we were left with a 9 hour layover in Amsterdam. When we finally boarded our US bound flight, we found that there was only one bathroom available to serve the 30+ people in business. The other bathroom was "out-of-order" and had tape across the doors to prevent access. They also had a limited number of meals to serve so our choice was "what they had left, or nothing!"

We finally made it home. I filed a complaint about the denied boarding with the US Department of Transportation who passed it on to Delta for response. Delta's reply was that we had failed to provide the documentation required by the agent at check in, so we were denied boarding! Never mind that the documentation was not required (as evidenced by our leaving the next day with no problems), we were still at fault! Based on all this, we will never fly on Delta again. They are the absolute worst for customer care and fairness.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Me and my fiancé were on our way to Hawaii to get married next morning. We missed our flight (from MSP to HNL Delta Flight number DL 1469) because I looked at the wrong time on the ticket, so 100% on me, and I said that from the start. We did get to the gate and they finally let us on (with two others late passenger). Now the guy at the gate said they took our first class seats away that we paid for and had already gave them to some other Diamond members as a free upgrade. I am also a Diamond member and understand how the free upgrades work, but again I paid for these seats. He told me they were going to give us Delta comfort, so we were OK for that. When we got on the plane we come to find out we were not together and in middle seats in different rows.

This is an 8 hour flight, so I asked the flight attendant if I could go show the people who now are in our regular seats our original boarding passes and if they would at least trade with my fiancé again because we were on our way to get married. "If the shoe was on the other foot" I know I would have definitely given the seat back to that person who was going to get MARRIED. The flight attendant said it was up to the gate guy. The door shut and he was gone so we sat down in the coach seats. Then the door opened up 5 minutes later and we were asked to get off the flight. We apologized to the people on the plane for all this and walked off the plane. The head guy at the gate said the captain asked us to get off, not sure why because we never actually saw the captain.

After all this I wasn't as upset as I was when we went back to help counter to re-book for tomorrow and a Ms ** comes out of nowhere and says we were kicked off the flight for being rude, we were not rude to anyone, but maybe a little upset, but again who wouldn't be. This is what really set me off after all this, this Ms ** is a supervisor and comes up and wants to pick a fight with us and she wasn't ever involved in the beginning. I am not sure how she became a supervisor but you would think if she was privy to our situation and would have know we were on our way to get married she would have been more professional and understanding to our situation.

We were on our way to get Married Ms Pia... Do you own Delta Air Lines? I have flown over 1.6 million miles with your airlines and have never come across anyone like you ever in my professional life. Not just with the airlines but anywhere. She is the worst customer service person ever in the world. Thanks to Mr ** in the Delta Sky lounge, he did get us booked out tomorrow. Please Delta Airlines do something about this Ms **, I would not have her working with any customers ever!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I always fly Delta or Alaskan, mostly Delta. I have found them to be helpful & informative. In-flight, all of the attendants were courteous, smiling & kind. I have special diet requests; and, there was absolutely no problem with any of the requested food. I found check-in to be very fast and efficient. They do, at times, require carry-on luggage to be checked just before entering the plane. This has been no problem, they have never lost my luggage at any time. The only complaint I have experienced is when my computer was broken, while in my checked in luggage. But I think all airlines are guilty of rough handling of luggage. Other than that I never have had any missing items in my luggage.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Seems all the airlines keep getting worse - as for customer service. You keep hearing about all these crazy situations. We chose Delta for our trip this past summer to Italy because they did not have any issues at that moment & their scheduling working out best for our family. Price was not a real issue, since they all seem to be about the same; just depends how far in advance you purchase. Our overall experience was very good with Delta. Customer service was good (considering such long flights), & flights themselves were safe & smooth.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I just called Delta at 800 221 1212 to make a change in an existing reservation and was told that the wait time is “more than two hours”. What a poor way to help customers. It is obvious that they don’t really care and, since the government turned them loose, no one can do anything except choose another airline...which I shall do. How unfortunate that this once great airline apparently has such poor leadership.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I️ am on the last leg of a 12-day trip. Have been on a trip from the US to India. In Atlanta the flight from ATL to CDG was 4 hours delayed which made me miss my connecting flight from CDG to Bangalore. Since there was only one flight per day and there were no more seats Delta placed me on Jet Airways the following day from CDG to Amsterdam to Bangalore. When I asked about my 2 pieces of baggage they assured me that my bags would follow me. The last place I️ saw my bags were flying to Paris. It has now been 10 days with no bags. Delta says I️ have to have a claim with Jet Airways which was done, then Jet Airways said that Delta never released my bags to them. I️ have been calling multiple times daily to both airlines and no one will tell me where my bags are nor how to claim lost baggage. They all wash their hands of any responsibility and I’m at a loss.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had lots of concerns about Delta when I first flew in December 2016; after all they were replacing Northwest, aka Northworst. I have flown them again, at least for a part of itinerary and they seem to have improved a lot. I didn't get any compensation related to the way a very late departure, cancelled flights, very late brought in a new crew (at Atlanta, where they are based) was dealt with in December 2016. They seem to have really improved since then, however. It would be appreciated to receive compensation from Dec 2016 issues, though!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Service and flight about like other majors, crowded, seats cramped, luggage fees, etc. and altogether not much fun. Also, Delta frequently is late departing and arriving.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Well don't bring too much luggage, don't ask to change seats due to smells, no food or drinks are free. Bathrooms are very small. I was wondering how handicapped used lavatory.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I want to Voice my complaint against my horrible experience with Delta Airlines on Oct 30th. It took me 20+ hrs to get to my home from CLT. Originally my flight DL2107 was to depart at 7.40 AM from CLT to SLC and then have a connecting flight DL1653 from SLC to SNA at 11.26 AM. We were boarded on the plane even when the crew knew plane has electrical issues. We sat on the plane till 9.30 AM when they announced that the plane has issues, the PA system not working and we have deboard the plane and rebook our tickets to the destinations. After standing in line for 1 hr, I was offered the same route for my destination saying that the same flight DL2107 would now leave to SLC at 12.20 PM and a connecting flight DL2365 from SLC to SNA would leave at 4.57 PM.

We were told that an empty plane would come in from Atlanta and would depart to SLC. While we were waiting in the lounge for the DL2107 flight, they keep changing the departure times to SLC. Finally the plane from Atlanta arrived and we thought we would get on the plane. But after 15 mins the crew member announces that the flight that came in from Atlanta is in no condition to fly and they are going to bring in the morning flight as the issues were fixed on this and we will have to board it from gate A5 instead of A3. We all go to A5 and wait for 15 mins, we hear another announcement that we need to go to A3 and board the flight. We went to A3 and followed the boarding process and sat on the plane till 2.30 when we hear another announcement to deboard the plane as this plane is not ready to fly and need to rebook again.

After standing in line again for 1 hr for rebooking the route they could best offer me was DL1611 CLT to DWT @ 5.15 PM and DL1845 DWT to LAX @8.05 PM as they did not have any planes to SNA for that day. If I would take that flight I would reach LA by 10.15 and it's about 1.30 hr drive in traffic to get to my home in Orange County, and also I would need to book a ride at that late hour to get to home. I asked the agent this would cost me additional money for the taxi around 60$. But the agent wasn't at all understanding and refused to offer me any kind of help. She mentioned that if I have issues I should report it through the website. I asked if I could get refund so that I could book another one which would reach faster, I was told I booked through Expedia so they cannot offer me refund.

What kind of reason was that, after what you put me through the whole day, you wouldn't even refund me to book a different flight. Is it even fair to ask your customers to sit from morning 7.40 AM to evening 5 PM that is 9 hr on some complimentary snacks and not even offering meal passes. I was supposed to report to work from afternoon. I lost my work day, who would compensate me for the money I need to earn on that day? Not to mention the whole stress and tiredness I had to go through the whole process. I still have the after effects going through such a stressful and traumatic experience. Delta being a big airlines, I have not expected this kind of treatment to its customers. It is very unfortunate that I have chosen to fly Delta for the first time and this would be my last time.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Delta is pretty good but used to be better. Customer service is ok and the attendants and pilots seem good. But seats are cramped. Prices can be good or very high if booked late.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I booked a flight from Boston to Minot North Dakota to go pheasant hunting with my business partner and our dogs. I have done this many times over many years with Delta. Upon arriving at the airport and standing in line for 20-30 minutes at 3 in the morning, I was informed that the dogs would not be allowed on the plane. A new policy in place required us to ship the dogs via Delta Cargo. The policy has been in place for about one year.

When I made the reservation I informed Delta that we were bringing dogs, I was directed to their website to ensure that I had met all of the requirements i.e. crate size, health certificate, etc. I didn't notice the fine print about the new policy. The requirements about crate size and health requirements were very prominent as if they expected people to check dogs in as baggage. I have a history of bringing a dog on the plane in this fashion. That's OK. Shame on me for not spending hours scrutinizing every sentence of the site looking for the 'GOTCHA'.

Instead of explaining the new policy and helping us make other arrangements, the Delta staff simply kicked us to the sidewalk to fend for ourselves. To add insult to injury, one of the Delta staff kept haranguing me about getting my dog into a crate, and not keeping her on a leash, while in the terminal. My business partner was so shocked and disgusted by the treatment we received that he loaded the dogs and luggage into a car and drove 30 hours to our destination rather than deal with Delta. They had to try hard, but Delta convinced him that driving 30 hours was easier and more attractive than flying with them. Good job Delta. The slightest measure of simple courtesy and assistance would have gone a long way towards customer loyalty. Delta obviously doesn't need our business, but they should at least pretend that they care about their customers.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information

www.delta.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use