2.13/5

2205 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I am on flight 1291 & the front check in desk lady who took my ticket was extremely rude & absolutely unprofessional. I am shocked and find it ridiculous this person is even allowed to be around customers. I know nothing will be done, but I have been flying with Delta for a long time & if you are considering a airline, do not use Delta.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was booked for a Monday afternoon flight on March 4, 2019 from Boston to Cleveland. It snowed overnight. The flight was cancelled and I was auto booked onto 6pm flight. That was cancelled and I was auto booked onto an 8pm flight. That was cancelled and I was auto booked on a flight the next morning (Tuesday). I called and they were able to rebook me onto a 6pm flight on Monday with a 1.5 layover in Detroit. The 6pm flight was delayed by half an hour. Then it was delayed by an hour. Then it was delayed by 75 minutes.

I arrived in Detroit with less than 20 minutes to make it to my connecting flight from Detroit to Cleveland to run from gate 77 to gate 29. I asked them to contact the gate to let them know I was coming. The gate closed and I could not get on the flight. I have sat on flights as we delayed departure because someone was running to make the connecting flight. I was extremely frustrated with the inability to wait what would have been a few minutes. I booked a flight from Detroit to Cleveland the next morning. I was forced to stay in a motel overnight unless I chose to sleep in the airport. Because I had a 9am meeting I didn't want to attend the meeting after sleeping in an airport. So I booked a hotel room for the night.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 19, 2019

Delta used to leave much to be desired in customer service but I must say they have cleaned up their act. They recently rolled out new uniforms and much more professional as opposed to just rolling out of bed, which they did for many years. Kudos to the staff and team!

Original review: March 18, 2019

The seats in coach are exceptionally uncomfortable and small. I am a tiny woman, weighing in at 100 pounds, and I found the seats too small. This was a rather large, flight, too. Would not recommend anyone take a lengthy flight on Delta.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I had to fly to SLC for treatment Feb 26th. The unexpected snowstorm put us in a state of emergency. Zero communication, no power. After 6 adjusted flights, closed interstate, weather etc., 20 hr delay, I finally made it to my appt. The next morning I am so ready to get home; I miss my flight. Meltdown. When I used the “Need Help” phone Lindsay answered, within minutes instructed me to reprint my boarding pass, nonstop, find G F11, and said “was glad to be able to help.” Forever grateful. No extra charge for this 7th change either. I was a Basic Economy 1st flyer; Delta treated me like 1st Class. Though I believe they are like that with everyone. Such excellent service with sincere concern. Also I will follow policy; it was my fault I missed my flight, Delta made me feel it wasn’t.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: March 18, 2019

They are better at everything. Customer service to pilot interaction. Price is a little more but usually worth it. On time and baggage service are tops!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Delta is brutal for one with chronic pain. The baggage fees for my pillows, which are needed for the condition, is outside my budget. Further, due to the tightness in the cabins and the seat design, this adds to an increase in pain triggers.

Original review: March 17, 2019

They have the best, most courteous staff people. In a recent weather crisis at MSP (and all of NE states), the people at the Help Desks were so calm, helpful, logical, insightful, and caring. WOW. I previously had wonderful interaction with their customer service people and would rate them also at the top.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Delta Air Lines allows you to pick your seating prior to flight which for me being a large woman and my husband over 6ft., have a chance to pick a seat with more leg room and occasionally seat space. I would love to learn that all the other airlines would began to have seating like in the 60's & 70's. People didn't mind paying the fares because they knew, the flight experience would be worth it. I do believe that airlines manipulate and take unfair advantage of the consumer, especially when it comes to luggage and the size of carry on. That being said, consumers have also learned how to manipulate right back that is not fair to consumers who are following airline policies in this regard.

Then there is the issue of unruly children, pets, and the amount of alcohol consumption on a flight. I know that we live in a competitive society - some company is always out to (get you, to spend at their store, airline, etc.) and yet the customer service is at the lower end of the "fecal pole". No one wants to spend money saved, or earned for a trip and be treated like crap by that company's employee. Customer service can be difficult but it has to be practiced and real in a competitive society. The higher the customer service without the price tag being attached, the more consumers are willing to purchase, that company services. Thank you for listening.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Stop charging for bags & different levels (economy, economy plus; etc.). Need to do better w/ the disabled. Let them off FIRST & assist them on & off the plane with their carry on. Disabled persons should be treated even before first class or any other type of traveler.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Just like they used to say, "Delta is ready when you are!" We were more than ready!! My wife and I flew to Los Angeles in order to take a cruise to Hawaii. We flew, for the very first time, first class! What a treat it was too. Our stewardess was always checking in with us to be sure if we did need anything or not. She was very pleasant and we appreciated her attention to details! Our flight was terrific and we'd fly Delta again with no hesitation.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've had better luck with this airline than many others including booking and not being bumped. The flight was decent and I was actually impressed with them over American Airlines. You can also generally select your seating and even move up to first class if this is available on the day of the flight.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Pleasant but both legs delayed. PDX to ATL had to return to the terminal for unknown reason. ATL to SHR flight changed gates, plane had not arrived by scheduled time of arrival in Shreveport. After loaded had to wait a short while to get the paperwork needed to release plane from the service problem that was fixed.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I didn't fly yet but, having an issue with my ticket, I called the customer service in the Ohio office. I was so impressed by their professionalism and their care for the customers. They solved my problem right away. I'm sending them a big thank you, to Oliver ** in particular.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Delta has been our go to airline for years!! However, the new Sky Miles program is very disappointing compared to the old program. We’ve been Sky Mile members for years and spouse travels weekly for business. He took a one year sabbatical when his father passed away and didn’t travel, about the same time Delta changed their requirements... Unfortunately he lost his Diamond Status and had to completely start over which has ultimately taken his perks away. We use those miles for family trips and vacations. Sort of a slap in the face for a member who’d been Diamond status for quite some time. Been a little less accommodating when overbooking flights which happens often. Serious problem with carry on luggage being ignored by agents when people just ignore the rules. And agents do nothing about it.

Original review: March 15, 2019

For the business traveler, in my opinion this is the best carrier. They have the best frequent traveler program, upgrade policy and benefits for their AMEX/Delta credit card program, which includes a first free bag on all flights.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Delta Airlines is the most I traveled within past 20 years. Total satisfaction. Happy to do it again. Services are excellent, on-time arrival/departure. Convenience connections in major US cities. Points never expire. Easy online check-in online and select my seat. Simple ticket purchase.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Seat assignment policy or lack of is not competitive with other airlines. Charging to check baggage policy should be reversed and charge to bring carry on be made instead. It would speed up loading and unloading.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My experience with this airline has been great. I get my upgrades when available and my service from ticketing to boarding and arriving at my destination has been great. Fly this airline almost all the time.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Always professional, rarely anything but weather delays, and I fly weekly in/out of O'Hare & MSP. Most non-stops in and out of MSP and the major markets I need to get to, with seasonal service part of the time.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I paid $178.29 for a standby ticket on Delta. A flight from PHX-ATL-CUN. I get through security and wait for my name to be called for seat assignment. My name was never called, me and the 3 others that were on standby. Finally, the woman checking boarding passes at the gate just tells all 4 of us to just hurry up walk to the back of the plane and find a seat. She was almost pushing us. We get back there and I am pulled off because there are no more seats. I then get asked to get back on the plane because someone had a "panic attack" and was getting off. Then I was asked to get back off because some man had a 2 year old in his lap.

Meanwhile the gate customer service woman is just running back and forth from the door of the plane to the gate desk and everyone is looking at her like she has no idea what she's doing. Even one of the flight attendants asked me not to go far because this woman had no idea what she was doing. Finally she tells me that she can get me on a flight to MN-CUN and then tells me that it's too late. The most unorganized display of service I've ever seen. I went to the Southwest gate and they were able secure a flight for me. I'll never even try flying Delta again. I've heard horror stories and now I have my own. I would be stranded in PHX airport were it not for Southwest Airlines.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have flown for several years. l preferred Delta. Their customer service is excellent. They’re willing to assist you on changing flights booking you on the next available flight. There was a time that due to mechanical problems l was stuck at the airport. The Delta bought us sandwiches, juice and coffee.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They nickel and dime you to death, unless you are shorter than 5'10" your knees will be bruised by the end of a two hour flight. Cancellation? Forget it, tough luck unless you are a million miles member.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I just flew Delta for the first time in a long time. Compared to all of the many airlines I have flown in the past 10 years, Delta was an enormous surprise. The interior was spotless, the seats roomy, lots of leg room, and the personnel could not have been more friendly and helpful. It was a lovely change.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I am disabled and they made an incredible effort to get me on my original flight while I was rebooked for a later flight in snowy Minneapolis. With the assistance of the flight crews arriving and departing, the handicapped drivers who got me to the plane while it was still being boarded, to the flight crew that was holding our seats. That was diamond service and helped me get out of Minneapolis just after the snow began to fall. Having spasms in a lot of planes I was impressed with the extra room in the 757. This doesn't happen every time but it was an incredible experience.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Staying loyal to an airline pays off in extra perks and benefits. When I first started traveling every week I ended up with 10-15K miles in 7 airlines and no status. I changed that. I have over 4M miles on Delta, and they treat me very well.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I get it: Running an airline is tough. An occasional screw-up is understandable. But when you're Delta, and three out of the last three flights have arrived too late to make connecting flights – "bandaids" like hotel vouchers are insulting. Sorry, but spending the night in random connecting cities as a single working parent whose only objective is to make it home their kids... this is unacceptable. Instead of there-there-ing me with "sorry sir, but there's simply nothing we can do", try harder. Pay for a future flight. Scratch my back. I don't know. For ** sake, just do something that shows you give a **. You used to be great, Delta. Now I'm starting to agree with what my pilot-friends from United used to sing in the 90s: "Delta...we're learning to fly and it shows."

Original review: March 11, 2019

Timely flight. Well organized, safety focused, and outstanding customer service. On one flight with Southwest as the plane was heading out to runway, we were stopped and directed to go into maintenance area for safety inspection. I admire such safety commitment!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I flew to Punta Cana last year first class and on one of the flights I was lucky enough to get a plane with the sleep pods. It was incredible. I think all first class flights over an hour long should have these private pods installed. It cost an extra $400.00 per ticket to go first class but the pods made it worth it.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I always fly Delta. Each experience was good. They need to provide extra incentives for economy seating as well as more space and legroom per seat. Please don't cramp my style. The best airline, no doubt.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information