Delta Air Lines

1902people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Delta Air Lines:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Delta is the worst airline I have ever been on, I usually fly JetBlue or Southwest. Staff is super unprofessional, rude, I almost missed my flight because of a rude flight attendant. Very disappointed in the service, I will NEVER fly Delta again.

This must not be the norm but I have never once taken a Delta flight where I actually took off on time. Never once. I've flown them about 30 times over the last 2 years. Unbelievable. And always a problem when we land getting into a gate. Who runs this company and how do they stay in business?

This was the worst experience ever. My original flight was delayed which would mean I will miss my connection to New Orleans. After 1 hour on hold I was able to get on a delayed flight out of Newark that was to leave at 7 pm. That flight was delayed to 8 pm and then to 9 pm. Again, I was going to miss my connection. I was put on a 9.55 am flight out of Atlanta and was also told that in Atlanta I will be given a discount for a hotel. When I got to Atlanta the shuttle was not working as it was too late.

The airport is HUGE. I could not find the Delta desk and had to find a hotel on my own. The 9.55 am flight on 8/13 was delayed again. At the airport I found out that in Newark SOMEONE AT DELTA MADE A MISTAKE and I was NOT on the 9.55 am flight and that the next open flight is at 4 pm!!! I was able to get on that flight as stand by. I WASTED money on a hotel and I want a FULL reimbursement for the hotel or a voucher for a flight to New Orleans to be used in the future. I understand weather related issues but someone in Newark made a BIG mistake that cost me money. I will not stand for that. I am contacting BBB and customer affairs. This is ACCEPTABLE!

Family of 4, first time flying Delta from Chicago to Las Vegas. Was attending a family reunion in LV on July 23, I booked our flight in January. Our flight was scheduled to leave Chicago on Friday at 1:00 pm for a connecting flight to LV. Our flight to Cincinnati was delayed 2 hrs which made us miss our connecting flight to LV. They re-scheduled us to a 12 pm flight on Saturday to Minneapolis with a connecting flight to LV. There was an hr. between 2 flights. our flight from Chicago to MN left an hour late, needless to say, we missed our connecting flight again. In MN, they re-scheduled us to fly from MN to LV Sunday morning meaning we had to spend the night in MN (which would have meant additional hotel expense). By the way, they have counter people in the airport but they "supposedly" do not have access to all the flights available so I had to talk to someone over the phone.

The customer service person over the phone said there were no other flights leaving MN that evening, meaning we would miss the family reunion that night. After begging them to find us a flight out of MN, they said we have 2 choices, either fly us back to Chicago and get a flight on Sunday (from Chicago) or spend the night in MN. At this point, aggravated and stressed out, I told them that is unacceptable and I want them to find a flight leaving that evening. They know that we are already missing the reunion which was the reason for our flight to LV. In addition, I was already paying for a house that I rented in LV and did not even use for 2 days. Long story short, after a very very long phone conversation, they found a flight to San Francisco, then a United flight from SF to LV. When we got to SF, we had to exit gate 1 then to all the way to gate 3 thru xrays again.

As we were boarding the flight to LV, we could not board because supposedly Delta did not download our ticket information to United. We were about to miss that flight to LV again, United called Delta and they were put on HOLD! Finally, the United lady said they had to get it done in 6 mins because the plane was leaving with or without us. They finally let us board as they were fixing the problem. We got to Las Vegas at 12:20 AM Sunday. We missed the reunion completely, 2 full days of our vacation, I paid for a house that I didn't use for 2 days, and paid more for my rental car because I had to get the rates that were available at that time.

Delta did not only cause us stress, but cost us extra money as well. Through this entire experience, I cannot point out a single time when I could say at least it was good customer service. Their people were not empathetic at all, as if this happens all the time and they are just so used to it. Going home, our flight to Detroit was also delayed 40 mins which meant we had to run from gate 77 to gate 50 to catch our flight to Chicago which was already completely boarded. During the flight to Detroit, there was no announcement or anything for anyone else who had a connecting flight, again, they just don't seem to care.

Delta is complete clown show. On my outbound, they canceled the flight and did not send any notifications to me or 10 other people I know who had the same flight. I found out on the way to the airport. My email address and cell phone are in my profile and reservation. On the way back, got stuck in Minneapolis due to a "mechanical." I am missing a major work event that will have long term consequences. Oh, and even though they are making tons of money due to extremely low fuel costs, they still charge for baggage and a seat that an adult human can fit into. Nice. No matter what the fare difference, take another airline. You will be better off in the long run. And if you want to really get even, take Delta to small claims court. Show up if you want, but they will be out of pocket for legal fees no matter what.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

We were flying Delta Airlines non-stop, round-trip from DTW to LAX and back. Our flight on August 9 from LAX to Detroit (Flight 1506) was cancelled at the last minute with no notice leaving us stranded at the airport with our 6 month old daughter. After being offered a layover in Phoenix where we could have been stranded again we were forced to book a new non-stop flight through Spirit airlines that cost us $737. Our total payment for the flight on the way home was $527.20. The refund we were offered was for $432.18. This barely covered half of our total cost to actually get home not to mention we only got one of the 2-$200 vouchers we were offered. The flight issues were enough to make us not fly Delta again but the issues with refund and complete lack of customer service have made us want to warn other people about flying Delta Airlines.

When I returned from my trip in Las Vegas, my 2nd stop was JFK. They kept changing gates which is a 7 min bus ride between terminals with a 2-yr old which is not easy. Delta announced that they were downgrading their plane although there were people on stand by. They failed to say that they left some people suitcases in JFK. The agent in Montreal says they would put the suitcase on the next available flight which they didn't. I called and complained, they said no one should of told me that. It's the next day and I still haven't received my luggage. I will never fly with them again.

Being a public school teacher, it takes years of saving and planning to take a "dream vacation" since educators aren't exactly at the top of any pay grade. After two years of saving and planning I had done it! My husband and I were traveling to Saint Martin to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary. Eager to begin our trip, we arrived at DFW at 4:00 am for our 5:40 am flight and this, my friend, is where the nightmare begins. Please review the following documentation:

Day 1 - Arrived at DFW at 4:00 am for Atlanta flight. We were told that Delta was having computer issues and our flight would be delayed until approximately 8:30 am. Did not actually depart until after 12:00 pm. Arrived in Atlanta and went to the ticket agent because we missed our connection to Saint Martin. No other flights available so they put us at the Best Western South. Ice machine was broken. Front desk would not give me quarters for vending machine. Air conditioning was loud and inefficient. Called the resort and they would not work with me on the first nights payment nor would any of the excursions re-book anything for us. We were reminded that everything was non-refundable. They did not seem to care about the Delta computer crash.

Day 2 - Arrived at Atlanta airport early for our 9:40 am flight to Saint Martin. Flight delayed until 12:50 (no pilot). Flight delayed again. Didn't arrive in Saint Martin until after 7:00 pm. Another day of our vacation lost. Resort had cancelled our reservation, in spite of my phone call the night before - had to wait over an hour for them to get this sorted out.

Day 3 - Totally exhausted from our travels - long lines - crowded seats, etc. etc. At this point we only have two days of our four day trip left. We make the best of it. Day 5 - Sadly, the two days are gone and it's time to return. We tried to stay longer, but the only flight from Delta on Saturday had THREE connections and would take over 14 hours. My school year begins on Monday so this is out of the question. Our flight home is EXTREMELY complicated by ridiculous and unbelievable inept practices at the Atlanta Airport immigration points. Painfully long wait lines that have us convinced that we will miss our connecting flight to Dallas that we arrived 3 hours ahead of time for. Finally make it to the gate. We are told that the flight has taken off, but to check the gate anyway. Well, in true DELTA fashion (based on this trip) we find that the flight had been delayed. Our 8:30 pm flight took off at approximately 10:30 pm.

We have never been so happy to end a trip. I know that Delta has a lot to offer. My cousin has flown for Delta as a flight attendant for well over 20 years which is a big factor as to why, when we fly, we've chosen Delta. MISSED TWO DAYS AT THE RESORT - $721.00; MISSED TWO EXCURSIONS - Bus tour - $142.00; Beach excursion $250.00; TOTAL: $1113.00.

I am seeking monetary restitution for your airline effectively ruining my trip. I'm not ignorant to the fact that this happened to many others. Believe me, I've been reminded of that time and time again by your airport agents. However, I'm not interested in speaking for anyone other than myself, and my husband; nor am I curious in hearing platitudes or apologies. I want my time back, my money back - all things that are forever gone, but at the very least, the responsible party, DELTA, should address these complaints and make every effort to show us, as customers, that someone cares. Time is a commodity that is truly irreplaceable as my husband and I (sixty-nine and fifty-eight) are most acutely aware.

I woke up Wednesday, August 10th to see a text on my phone telling me that my "Delta flight DL2593 from JFK is cancelled. We're rebooking your flight now & will text back with more info" They did not rebook my flight, so I hurried to JFK to do it in person. I tried to rebook online, but the website said it could not help me with my booking at this time. The ladies at the ticket counter could not find a flight to get me to the Home Shopping Network tv studios in Tampa to make my LIVE TELEVISION TAPING which had a production call at 12 midnight. Nothing, nothing they could find could get me to Tampa by 10:30pm that day. I was dumbfounded. Nothing? I demanded to speak to the manager.

In order not to make a scene, I asked her to have a private conversation, and told her my fragile predicament. This was a live television appearance I was making to be a guest on my one hour television show on HSN selling my struggling fashion handbag line Emma Fox. I had to get to Tampa. She said the best she could do is fly me to Orlando, and then provide me with GROUND TRANSPORTATION (whatever that would entail, I don't know) to Tampa which was 80 miles away. I figured I would accept that and then just go upstairs to the gates and just figure out what on earth I'm going to do. I called my husband and even he was searching online to find me another flight to get me to the studio on time for my show. I told the agent I was never going to fly Delta again - You know what? I said it, yes, because I was just so upset. She replied, "Well, if you are never going to fly Delta again, then I won't bother booking you on this flight." Ok.

Let's talk about this. Yes, if she were my mother, this reply would be acceptable. But, she is not my mother, and no way is that a decent reply to say to a customer who is under the stressful situation that I am facing. She clearly needs to have management training all over again. I don't care how tired and overworked she is. I myself have been tired and worked to death, and YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR COOL in this kind of situation. Delta was caught with their pants down. They saved money by not keeping their computer systems state of the art, and now they stand naked for all to see. So eat it Delta, and be humble with your customers.

Here is the best part. I'm upstairs at the gate, just taking a mental health break. Quiet. Just sitting by myself, I must have looked defeated. I'm thinking that I just made a terrible mistake with this ridiculous trip I'm about to embark upon. I hear a voice. "Miss, can I help you?" I look up to see a young man. "Oh, do you work for Delta?" I ask enthusiastically. "No, but I think I can help you. I'm from Florida, and I heard what the Delta counter agents were doing to you, and I can tell you right now... you're not going to make your show at HSN. My grandma watches that channel. Can I help you? I know the traffic patterns outside of Orlando, I'm telling you, you just aren't going to get out of there. Let me try to help you."

He was Gati, a 20 year old University of Florida student on his way home from a semester abroad. He sat with me, took my laptop and started searching and searching for about 5 minutes. He booked me on a JetBlue flight leaving in 2 hours, direct to Tampa. We chatted. He wants to work for the UN someday. Boy, I hope he does! He was my guardian angel. I got to HSN at 8:30pm that night and we had a terrific show. It was fun! The host was terrific and we genuinely had a good time on tv. Gati and I are still in touch, and I want to send his grandma a gift from HSN because we are all so grateful for his saving our show. The HSN production team were calling and calling me so worried that I would never get there, and just couldn't believe my story. From now on, we simply cannot rely on Delta Airlines.

I don't even know where to begin. We booked a ticket for my nephew through Expedia on Delta Airlines from Bloomington, Illinois to Tampa, Florida... We're originally from South-Africa and he flew back from Africa to Chicago to make it in time for his 5h50 am flight on Friday morning but got stuck in Germany with his flight completely cancelled. He had to stay a day later and missed the 1st leg of his flight to Tampa. We alerted the airline meaning Delta of the problem and no one wanted to help us only to find out they now cancelled the entire ticket even the 2nd leg returning from Tampa.

This is unacceptable and we will never fly this horrible airline again, the service we received calling from Africa was appalling and non helpful. So you book a ticket online at your own risk and no customer service at all. I am deeply disappointed that an airline would just take your money and cheat you like this. No apology from them so I ask is it because I'm not American that they don't care or do they treat everyone like this. Shocked and deeply disappointed and will NEVER FLY THIS AIRLINE EVER AGAIN. Regards. A disappointed African ex customer.

Third time in a row Delta has caused me to cancel my flight and try again with the day that follows. I hope the owner goes out of business and goes bankrupt.

On April 29th, 2016 my mobility scooter was damaged on a flight from Portland, Maine to New York-LaGuardia with a final destination on Pittsburgh, PA. Three and 1/2 months later the repairs have not been completed. In July, I contacted Customer Care who put me in touch with the Delta Management in Portland, ME. The airport staff in Portland tried to correct the issue by arranging repairs and offering to pay for parts I had purchased and taxi fare the 4 times I had to get the device to the shop for repairs. A check was mailed to my home but, was payable to the repair shop. When I brought this to the attention of the airport, I was asked to return the check and a new one would be issued.

The day after I dropped the check off, I received an email from Delta Corporate stating since I went through the airport to resolve the issue that my name/information has been "flagged in their database to delay or prevent future baggage claims." In addition, Corporate advised the airport to discontinue their involvement. Corporate is now saying the check that was mailed to me was never intended for me. I am feeling intimidated by the Corporate staff and feel that I am being mistreated. At this time, I have been advised by my attorney to file an complaint against Delta with the U.S. Department of Transportation Carrier Access Division and the ADA.

I already have future non-refundable travel booked on Delta but, fear I may arrive at destination to find damage to the scooter again and leave me stuck in the airport. I feel Delta should pay for the repairs, issue me the promised check and remove the flag in their database. Corporate makes the whole company look bad. I have flown Delta for 20 years and no consideration is taken for me being disabled nor being a loyal customer. I truly hope the government complaint would change their mind but, I highly doubt it.

I'm leaving this review for a friend well kind of a friend to me who was stuck in DC because Delta cancelled the flights 3 times. My friend mostly know as ** who has over 14 million people who count on him was stuck not being able to do his work which is very stressful. The flights were cancelled for nothing since the weather was fine. I would not recommend this company to any of my friends unless they want to stuck for days costing them time and money in a different country or state. This wasn't fair on not just Mark but the other people that don't have the money or a friend to stay with and their jobs are at stake and they just want to get home.

Delta loses power to system causing all flights to be grounded for 2-3 hours...thus causing the trickle down effect. Not one employee was ever rude to me, never once did they treat me disrespectfully, they had a tough job and everyone I encountered at the Daytona airport and the Atlanta Airport into Albuquerque was still polite and courteous...it was the passengers who were rude and disrespectful. I told one man who was cussing and yelling that it was not going to make him get anywhere any faster and that the 75 people waiting in line behind him were in the same situation as him, so just take care of business and MOVE!

The passengers caused us to lose our takeoff time and if they realized that their snail pace movement caused us to have to sit for another 1.5 hours for another take off time, maybe more would check their luggage. I give Delta a lot of credit for dealing with so many irate people...(I was not one of them). And, my luggage was still in Atlanta when I arrived in Albuquerque so I had to go to file a claim, and that woman was very nice also. My luggage will be delivered today. Plus I am getting a refund for my ticket and luggage. I would say that Delta did the best they could in the crisis. Happy to be home although it was six hours late, but I was able to get home. I am sure people who had to catch a cruise ship or missed a wedding or funeral were angry, but I was not one of those. Thank you Delta for getting me home!

8/8/2016 @ 5:30 pm. Flight #5234 DTW-YUL. This was my second flight coming from SAN (redeye). The redeye was fine because I slept through the whole thing. Female flight attendant rude. Said nothing to me but pushed the customs form at me, then put a smile on and spoke respectfully to the other customers. I then said good morning and she blew me off. It's common courtesy. In addition to the plane being delayed for THREE hours, now there is a mechanical issue and we have deplaned, then replaned just to deplane once again an go to a different gate. While this is happening, she proceeds to gossip about customers at the bay with the other steward.

Then she kept talking the whole time about everyone else and everything else. Which was annoying. Next, another uniformed Delta employee boarded the plane and complained to the other crew members, "I want to go home". Why on earth did I pay for first class to be snubbed, and be made to listen to gossip and complaints. I have my own job where that happens and I would prefer more of a professional environment when flying. The behavior from this young woman is appalling as we are not hormonal high school children - we are adults. I do not enjoy being treated as if your employees have a personal issue with me, or anyone else for that matter. While there's a maintenance delay, turning your back on the passengers and gossiping is not appropriate. So I arrived 3 hours later, and my boyfriend had to keep switching things around to pick me up since the departure times/planes/gates kept changing.

Flight #6278 YUL-DTW. I arrived at the airport at 0300 for a 0538 flight in which I stood for an hour and a half until the attendants realized that this was a global issue and they issued me a manual ticket. I checked one bag and went to my gate where I sat for over 5 hours until we could finally board the plane. Once boarded, we still took off late and finally arrived at DTW.

Flight #833 DTW-SAN. The Delta team were instructed to merge flight #600 and #833 together, and that caused not only a late plane arrival I'm sure from the chaos, but also we sat on the tarmac for almost 2 additional hours until we FINALLY were set to leave, which of course was late. We took off around 1330, after hearing several other times for take off. It was the longest flight ever. I asked simple questions such as, "What is our expected arrival time?" so that I can arrange my pick up, and the first answer I got was, "Yep, don't know" then later followed by, "Add up the time." WHAT?! This is definitely NOT the right time for attitude - not like it ever is, but definitely not a professional response. There are better ways to handle these questions if one does not know.

Once we finally arrived in SAN-5 hours later, I received a voicemail stating that my luggage did no make it on the plane??! Seriously? So at this point I made my way over to the baggage claim service desk where the young lady whom was pleasant, informed me that they "think" my bag "may" be on that flight, but "not sure". I then ask to have to have the bag delivered, to which she replied that they cannot deliver my bag, that your company lost in the time in which I need it. So, after only receiving 2 hours of sleep, and being stuck in airports for a total of 15 hours, I cried. I left the airport crying and shaking.

In addition to this, I missed work today, which in turn means that I have missed pay. Now I must go back to the airport tonight to look for my luggage that "may or may not" be here, thus spending MORE time in an airport! Between the delays and not just this worldwide delay but the first one I experienced going to Montréal, the attitude, and the lack of concern for my belongings, there is no evidence of service recovery. Why on EARTH would I EVER want to experience this negativity ever again??! The part about this that really burns me up is that I paid for FIRST CLASS on EACH flight and instead I paid double to be treated terribly. I just opened an LLC, and as a business owner, I understand that things go wrong sometimes. But this is a SERVICE industry, and I feel cheated, and like I have ripped off. An EXTREMELY disappointed customer.

8/8 @ 10:15 pm. I AM NOW ADDING AN ADDENDUM TO MY COMPLAINT THAT I SENT OUT EARLIER WHICH IS ATTACHED. My baggage has been missing for almost 12 hours at this point. I received a voicemail saying that my baggage was not on my original flight, and that it would be to me around 7:30 pm. I arrived at the baggage claim office in San Diego and asked that my luggage be delivered to me tonight, and the customer service agent told me that there was nothing that she could do, so she called the manager. I waited for the manager to come, who never introduced himself and he said that my baggage is now coming at 10:30 pm. I told him that I cannot keep coming back and that I need it to be delivered to my house tonight. I work in an operating room and I have things in my luggage that I need for work, not to mention that I have already lost a day of work due to the massive delays!

He said it would be at my house around 2 am. I then asked for a tracking number or something in which to follow up, and he then raised his voice at me and said, "I ain't giving you anything. I told you it would be there, and it will". I cannot trust that it will arrive at my home just because he said so. I don't even know who he is! I asked again and I insisted saying "I NEED a tracking number or something in which will make it easier to follow up " and he responded again to me, "I don't have to give you any of that" as he angrily flicked a piece of paper in my direction.

I lost my temper. After being stuck in first Montréal and then Detroit for a total of 15 hours on two hours of sleep, and I responded, "Don't give me any ** attitude. I don't have the patience and I just need my bag.". He then yelled at me and said, "I am going to call the Harbor Police on you. They will straighten you out ". So I also proceeded to call the police to have them come as a mediator.

Once the police arrived, I told them that I needed a mediator because there is information that I need that he, as a manager in customer service, is refusing to give me. I asked them to stay and ensure that I get the information that I need. None of the customer service representatives knew where to deliver my bag, they did not have my phone number but told me it would be delivered? How?? I was told that my bag would be there at 7:30. What happened there? More importantly, threatening to have me arrested for cussing is not an arrestable offense, and is COMPLETELY inappropriate in handling a customer service issue in which he proceeded to yell at ME in the first place!

When we were waiting for the police, he told me that he had 3 other witnesses to me cussing at him, which I perceived as another threat. There was a young woman from an eastern European country that stared at me while nodding her head, as if to say that she will back him up, as well as an ** male that was there to reroute bags. I bought all first class tickets on Delta, and have literally had the WORST experience of my life! I understand that sometimes things happen, but this is COMPLETELY unacceptable and utterly disgusting behavior. I would like a formal apology, and there needs to be service recovery done on Delta's part for the utterly appalling behavior in which I have been subjected, both on my way to Montréal and back home to San Diego.

I am also suggesting anger management training for the manager that yelled and threatened me, because I am sure that as a worldwide organization that Delta is not supporting the aggressive tactics that are being practiced in the San Diego baggage claim office. At this point, I will now lose more sleep waiting for my bag to arrive at my home, to which I am skeptical that it will even arrive after this vile incident. I would like a follow-up email for record keeping addressing this issue.

My connecting flight on a Saturday night was cancelled. Nobody even helped me figure out how to get a hotel or get to one in Manhattan on a Saturday night. The kicker is I had to pay $175 for the cheapest available room plus cab fare to and from, and my 4 day trip was cut short by a whole day. Both Delta and United both state the cancellation was due to weather but to be clear, there was no weather on the path from LaGuardia to Portland Maine. What really happened is that lots of other flights leaving LaGuardia that night had been cancelled due to weather and angry passengers who had landed first were being diverted to other airports, so they took priority. My flight should not have been cancelled and at the very least, I should not have had to pay for my hotel room.

Having flown mostly on long haul flight I choose any foreign carrier to any American air carrier. Most, if not all flights on Delta airline the flight attendants are rude and overworked where I can hear of complaining to each other especially on flights to Brazil. Because of this attitude over overworked it is as though the passenger becomes the enemy.

I am writing this review after having gone through horrible experience with Delta Air Lines. This is in regards to my journey from Newark, NJ to Kansas city, MO Via minneapolis. My first flight is at 8.25AM at Newark airport and I reached airport by 7.00 AM (1 hr, 25 mins before takeoff). I was travelling with my Father (61 years, Heart patient), hence wanted to make this journey as smooth as possible. I took boarding pass at automatic check in counter and stood in the line for dropping my check in baggage. This is the start of my awful day. Stood there for 30 mins and line is not moving at all. There were only 2 Delta airline employees at the counter and other employees were just walking here and there with no attention to the people waiting in the queue for long time.

After 30 mins, I jumped my line and went straight to talk with a Delta employee in the counter. She was not even ready to listen to my plea and asked me to go back and stand in the queue as she is working for other customer. After about 50 mins, now time is 7.50 AM, am still in the queue. I thought I should go in Delta First class line as it was empty and drop my baggage soon. To my surprise, when I went to the Delta employee servicing first class customers, she rejected to take my baggage as it is already late for the flight. I very politely argued with her that I have been waiting for more than 50 mins in the queue and have not heard them calling out for customers waiting for 8.25AM flight and now how can they close the baggage line. She knew they made a mistake but did not accept it, instead she spoke very rudely and asked me to leave that spot and wait in the "service" line to get another flight to reach my destination.

I went back stood in the service line for another 45 mins and I agreed to take next flight at 11:15AM. This time Delta employee took my luggage and informed me that I can take this luggage at final destination at Kansas city. He said though he is issuing "stand by" boarding pass, he assured of getting into this flight as he found some cancellations at the last minute

We went inside security check in and went straight to Gate 41, at 10:30AM - I went and spoke with the Delta airlines employee (don't know his name) who was at the Gate 41 counter. He said I should wait as mine is "stand by" pass. He said he is seeing some empty seats and that I should get in. Now comes my bad fate again. There was a family of 4 people who were also on Stand by passes or guess some of their tickets were cancelled and not showing up in the flight, am not sure what the actual problem is was waiting along with me and my father. After he scanned all passengers, I went and spoke with the Delta airline employee and said my father is a heart patient and our baggage has already been checked in and we have to reach Kansas on time as my father's medical kit is in the baggage.

Here comes my decision of not taking Delta airlines again ever in my life. The guy responds back to me in such a careless manner that I should have never sent my baggage and that he is preferring the family of 4 over me and my father to get into the flight, and in fact he had so much of attitude that he doesn't even want to talk to me. He just allowed that family to get into the flight and asked me to wait for next flight and once again he was not even ready to listen to me as am pleading him saying that any delays could cause serious health issues for my father, he just walked away. He clearly had attitude issues and if any of Delta management reading this review, Trust me, just because of this one employee - you lost a customer and am sure none of my family members, friends, close associates will ever travel in your airlines again.

He could at least spoken with me with care and would have worked out to get confirmed tickets for next flight or at least shown me some concern. He just walked out, I felt he behaved like that because am an Indian (brown skinned), and I can see that attitude clearly in his tone and behavior with me. I thought I cannot wait on "stand by" tickets as time is passing by and further delay could affect my father health.

I called Delta customer service and explained my horrible experience so far, she spoke very nicely with me and with the help of her lead, she was able to get me a confirmed tickets. After horrible waits at Newark and minneapolis, we finally reached Kansas city at 11:50 PM, a delay of 8 hours for no mistake of us. This is my worst experience ever in my life, I don't want to travel with Delta again especially with such unfriendly staff. If you guys don't train your ground staff on customer service, you will surely lose to your competitors.

I have been a Delta customer for the better part of 26 years. I even have a Delta credit card. I had quite a few SkyMiles and decided to book our vacation trip using the miles. Two days into my vacation my 93 year old father fell. I'm an only child and while I had backup systems in place while I was gone, I thought I should get back. I called Delta (waited 2 hours for them to call me back) and they told me that the change would cost me $1700 (my husband is traveling with me so it is two tickets) -- I'm not half way around the world. I live in Indiana and traveled to Phoenix.

They recommended that I purchase a one way ticket for $1100. Thinking that I might be able to manage my father's health care from afar, I opted to try to stay and fly back on my original ticket. Unfortunately things with my Dad are worse and I need to get back. I called delta again and was put on hold for 30-52 minutes. After 38 minutes they called back and when I told them what I had to do they said they would have to transfer me and promptly dropped the call. I'm waiting again, there is live person to talk to--just recordings. Since I've used SkyMiles I can't change the ticket online. I've never felt more taken advantage of, disrespected, and vulnerable. This company's culture is to take advantage of folks for their profit. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm still waiting for the callback...

Delta actually gave a cash back refund, just did not tell the other department that we talked to that. Thank you Delta for understanding a special circumstance (see the previous review).

Original Review

My great-great-aunt lives in New Orleans, and is 103. Twice a year, my grandparents fly down to New Orleans in order to pick her up, pack her, and bring her to her second apartment in New York during hurricane season. They always fly Delta Air Lines, and my grandparents use the Delta AMEX card for everything. They had me, their grandson, purchase their tickets to New Orleans. Right after they arrived, my great-great-aunt fell, and cracked a vertebrae, so obviously, she would not use her return flight to New York. My grandparents called to request a refund for her ticket (not theirs) to New York. They called Delta and a representative for Delta assured them they would get a refund.

Today, my grandfather called Delta and talked to one of the people on reservations. She said that a refund would NOT be available due to it being a non-refundable ticket. My grandfather explained the situation, and the person said that a flight credit would be available to her until June 15, 2017. He stressed that she would probably never fly again in her life, and asked them if he was allowed to use her ticket credit for somebody else, and the agent could not do anything. They are very disappointed, upset, and angry with Delta Air Lines. I might have forgot to mention that my great-great-aunt used to be an attorney for Delta. Some way to show gratitude for consistent loyalty.

I am a Delta 4 M Mile Flyer and have a Sky Club Membership. However as I am flying with another airline today, they want $29 for me to enter the Sky Club. Delta truly practice and educate their staff on the art of "treating your best customers worst."

Contact Delta customer service representative to find out if I could change my flight from a round trip to a one way, that I had just booked about 3 hours ago. First the wait for a response was over 2 hours for a return call, second the representative did not call me by my name. He called me mom instead of asking what it was. Third he told me because it was just booked that I was eligible for a refund, then changed his mind and told me it was only available in the form of a voucher.

When I asked him why did he changed from a refund to a voucher he became hostile repeating "mom mom mom" trying to talk over me. I said to him "you can stop calling me mom cause I can hear you and understand you perfectly. I'm not deaf, now explain to me why all of a sudden it changed from a refund to a voucher." He threatened to disconnect the phonecall because I was questioning him about his error, I asked to speak to a supervisor like 4 times before he decided to transfer me to one. Then the supervisor David gets on the phone and is just as arrogant and short as his employee. They should both be fired, when I asked him why his employee told me one thing and then told me another he didn't answer me either. He kept repeating "you can either have it in the form of a voucher or a refund. Which one do you choose."

I've heard some stories about this airline but as I can see they're true. And to add insult to injury I asked for a refund and David intentionally puts me on hold for another 30 to 40 minutes stating he was having some issues with completing the refund. You should be ashamed of the staff that you hire and the way they represent the company. Let's hope the flight isn't like the customer service representatives.

I travel often. Traveling with my children and mom (first time for her in 8 years). We upgraded to first class for a once in lifetime experience for my mom. Flight became delayed for an "issue," according to the Captain. Flight number: DL2213. We were told we can change flights, because they are uncertain if the issue can be resolved. The mechanic would arrive in 25 minutes or so. I spoke with one unfriendly gentleman working for Delta, that he couldn't give us our upgrade nor refund us our price to upgrade. So we were out the additional ($600) money, with no service. Another worker, Athena worked with us and was helpful, but we had to fly out of Orlando (yet we are in Melbourne). They wouldn't pay for shuttle not lodging. So we waited.

The flight finally got the all clear from maintenance and "Delta engineering." No longer could I get dinner for my children, because our layover was cut to only an hour. We boarded the airplane, quickly. Only to sit and wait for nearly 2 hours on the taxi. Assuming we will be cleared then for take off. Although, now it's the fault of Atlanta airport, according to Captain **. "Not to worry" the flight attendant says, "Delta will automatically rebook your flights." So yet again I will lose $600 and arrive at 12:35 in the morning, with two children who haven't eaten since 11:30 am. Delta unfortunately has let us down again!

My very first experience with Delta airlines has been as horrible as it can possible get. I had a full day interview at Memphis on 11th July. I had a direct flight from New York to Memphis on 10th eve and a indirect flight back on 11th eve - Memphis to Atlanta and Atlanta to NY. The flight from NY to Memphis - DL 6243 was delayed by 4.5 hrs; announcing the delay one hr at a time; because the pilot hasn't come to fly the plane from Memphis to NY. The flight that should have reached around 8.30pm in Memphis, reached around 1am. I hardly had time to get any sleep for the next day's interview and I was stranded in a unfamiliar place in the middle of the night.

Then the next day, the Memphis-Atlanta flight DL 1778 was announced to be delayed by 25 mins. I thought I should still make the NY connection flight. We were boarded on the flight after the 25 mins delay. The flight starts moving on the runway and after a few mins, instead of taking off, the plane stops moving. And then they announce that the permission to take off to air has been received one hr from now. We were made to wait inside the flight, in the middle of the runway for 1.5 hrs before the flight took off.

By the time I reach Atlanta, I missed my NY flight by a few mins. They put me on a morning flight for the next day. They said they can't give accommodation because it's not their fault!! No food voucher! Nothing! All the food chains were closed by that point. And I starved. I finally found a Mini suite to finally take some rest, but paid $130 for it! The 25 mins delay was apparently due to weather but what about making us sit in the place for 1.5 hrs because you haven't got some permission to take off?? The next morning I landed in NY literally sick, with a really bad headache and ready to throw up due to all the sleeplessness and starving.

I would like to say how unprofessional Delta's arrangement with MU China Eastern was yesterday. My flight MU271 was scheduled to leave BJ at 2:05 and did not leave until 5 pm. Half of the plane had a connecting flight DL186 scheduled to leave Shanghai Pudong International at 7 pm. more or less. Maybe 7:30. The service was absolutely horrible. Not only was the flight delayed but when it came time to actually board, we were crammed into a bus that Sat on the runway for 30 minutes. I swear they actually pushed us out to make room for the Nanjing and yet another Sh flight leaving from that same gate. Following such we were finally boarded, we Sat on the runway for another 45 minutes with no water or snacks. Hot. By the way we Sat in the terminal for 3 hours yet other flights to Shanghai Hongqiao had all boarded and left.

While we were given some sorry excuse about weather as if Hongqiao airport was in another city other than Shanghai, sometimes we were given no explanations at all as the time continued to pass. The latest, while sitting on the runway for 45 min being air traffic control, seemingly we were the only ones who had not taken off. We arrived in Shanghai sometime after 7. By that time it was still grey and we were hopefully the other flight would wait for us. That turned out not so. On top of that we had to pick up our own luggage. Why is it that Beijing, Shanghai, two supposedly most advanced cities in China, and Delta couldn't organize for the luggage to go from one flight to another flight? My friend who flew China Southern to LAX had NO issues like such. The luggage went from Chinese city A to B, to LAX with no problems transferring luggage from one carrier to another. Absolutely sloppy Delta.

We were left with instructions to get our luggage and head to the 3rd floor for further instructions. What a surprise when I got to the third floor after waiting a half hour for luggage and Delta had no emergency team to notify anyone of anything. By that time I and others still had no idea if our flight to LAX (DL186) had left or was still waiting. I was funneled between 6-8 people and many different desks to find answers and then deal with the ramifications of missing a flight. No one wanted to take any responsibility. I even had to fight to be given a hotel since in the end I had to re-book my flight. If Delta is going to arrange connecting flights through a partnered airlines it is best to choose one with a reputable account. The fact that there were no Delta staff waiting for the passengers from flight MU271 also shows very poorly on Delta. This is the 3rd incident with Delta where no one seems to want to take any responsibilities.

I have experienced both missed flights and food poisoning on DELTA. I have one credit flight with Delta that I must take and after the credit is used I will not be flying Delta again. I will find a reputable carrier with benefits and proper customer service. I'm absolutely appalled. As I write you a day later I have yet to leave Shanghai and am awaiting yet another flight. This time it's not even direct to L. A, further delaying my arrival home. Delta has lost a SkyMiles customer due to repetitive issues with no compensation and no ACTION to apologize on behalf of Delta.

I am a Medallion member with Delta Airlines. I travel a lot for work and will try to book with Delta when I can. I had to change my ticket with more than 2 weeks notice. They were going to charge me $200 to change the ticket, plus the change in fare another $118. $318 to change my tickets... Or if I purchased a new ticket through Delta only $276 or American Airlines $201. I explained that their business practice made no sense and I bought the cheaper ticket. Delta does NOT take pride in its customers, is not loyal, and has lost a long-term Medallion member because of their greed. They have quickly gone downhill. Are there any good airline companies left?

My flight was overbooked by quite a few seats which entailed standing in line waiting for answers about what was happening, Finally given another flight which was delayed then canceled and another plane to replace it. Did not get my connecting flight. Given a voucher for hotel (1st voucher sending me to Buffalo NY not Hartford CT). 2nd voucher sent me to a hotel that wouldn't honor the voucher. Clerk sent me to another Sheraton Hotel. Which would not honor the voucher send me back to the first hotel.

I went back to the airport and was given another voucher for the Holiday Inn. Got a room for one hour and had to return to the airport to get my flight to Hartford. Just to be clear I arrived at LAX at 6:30 am 7/2/2016 arrived in Detroit at 4:00am 7/3/2016. Most of the time I was standing in line throughout the whole day. At the first Hotel they had took in 42 rooms for Delta and the second hotel had more. How many people got displaced? Who knows. I will never fly Delta again.

Wife's 74 year old Mom, left Nashville Monday afternoon, supposed to get to a connecting flight in Minneapolis to be home by 11:30pm - Stewardess is busy announcing relationship with captain on intercom and then announces flight is diverted to Chicago because of weather. Landed in Chicago - had to wait for 2 hrs on Tarmac - could not leave plane. Fine. When they were supposed to depart (connection still possible) they were then held up another hour due to computer problems! That resulted in the connecting flight being missed in Min. She finally took off and got to Minneapolis where, with flight gone she was told no options until next day, and was offered a mat to sleep on the floor. Nice! No hotel voucher because of weather. What about the hour delay due to computer problems!

Delta gave her an Air Can Flight 9 hours later - where she stayed at the gate all night - trying to board next day with no sleep. Air Can said she didn't have the proper Paper from Delta - So she ran back to get it - then ran back to the Air Can gate ONLY to Find they left 1 min early on departure. Nice for Air Can to wait knowing a 74 year old was running. So in tears she went back to Delta who put her on a standby flight 3 hrs later only to find they overbooked that flight by 4 people.

So now she is boarding the only flight possible that will get here to at Least Regina - a 3 Hour Drive away from Saskatoon that we will be making right after work to go get her and another 3 hour drive home!!! Our family, especially Her - will never Fly Delta or Air Canada Again and will tell everyone we can about the negative aspects she was subjected to. WestJet or Nothing! No wonder people hate flying with representatives like these!

I purchased a RT flight to Newark because a family member was dying. Due to fly out at 12:30 am with arrival at 5:30. I received text and email, flight would be delayed 1 hour which left me 17 minutes to catch my connecting flight so I had to change my flight. Due to living over an hour away and having to be at the airport 2 hours ahead I couldn't make any morning flight since it was already 9:00 am. Wound up switching to a 2 pm flight got in at 9:45 pm. Same thing happened on my return flight. Delayed an hour, couldn't make the connecting flight. Switched my flight get to the airport and the flight is delayed. Getting close to boarding, thunderstorm comes in so they locked the gates so no one could board over an hour. Other airlines were taking off and coming in, we are still waiting. Almost 2 hours before we could leave. Rarely fly Delta and I know now I will never fly Delta again.

Recently, I had a round trip from Portland, OR to Los Angeles. Bought ticket from Expedia. When I self-checked in, ticket indicated seat to be assigned at gate. Five minutes before load, seat was assigned. Same thing happened at return trip. I asked reason. First answer was to accommodate passenger with children. Second answer was my ticket was cheap one. I do not believe my Expedia ticket is not particularly cheap. I flied Alaska, United, American, nothing like this happened. It seems to me that Delta treat solo flier as a second class. So, fellow solo flier, do not fly Delta.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.
  • Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.
  • Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.
  • Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.
  • Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Compare Airlines