2.17/5
Based on 161 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2050 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

My mom had back surgery about a month ago. She had a connecting flight from Vegas to Austin in Salt Lake City. Her flight from Vegas was late and she missed her connecting flight to Austin. She had to sleep on the airport floor! Which is obviously very painful for someone who had lower lumbar surgery a month ago, and is handicap. They could not get her a hotel, so all they offered her was $90 in food vouchers! What is that, two meals at an airport!? She had to buy her own blanket and pillow! Was not offered a mat! I am absolutely appalled by this treatment! With no further compensation offered! I have had nothing but bad experiences with Delta. I will never fly with Delta again. They did not even try to compensate fairly. My mom is now in severe pain... with $90 in food vouchers!? Ha. What a joke.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We booked a flight for our son's trip to London on March 26th. The departure date was June 13th. We chose seat 11J comfort plus which was a window seat. It was his first time traveling to London. The day before his flight we went to check him in and discovered that his seat had been changed to 13E. We were not notified ahead of time, and it was the same flight number, city pairs, and aircraft. We called Customer Service and were given the runaround. The flight was sold out so we couldn't get his seat back. There was no reason why they should have changed his seat.

My son informed us that a couple was sitting in his seat and the one next to it. Usually an airline will ask for volunteers to change seats. I feel that it was unethical and unprofessional for Delta to bump my son out of his seat. Why make a reservation almost 3 months in advance if he's going to get bumped out of it? It is really upsetting when it put a damper on his first trip to London, and he gets moved to seat 13E in a middle seat in the middle row of the aircraft. I feel that Delta needs to reimburse us for that part of his trip.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: June 20, 2018

Delta worked with my husband to book other flights so so helpful. We are just waiting on hotel to complete everything. I appreciate all who made this happen especially the Delta in Charlotte NC.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Our vacation was ruined because of Delta and RIU Hotels. They took money and cancelled our flights to return. Trying to check in the day before and we could not check in because we had no return tickets. They RUINED a family's vacation that we worked hard for. Delta only pointed fingers which was extremely disappointing.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I am not sure where to start with the ordeal my family had to face in their travel with one of the so called be’A’st domestic airlines in US - the “DELTA”. On 06/13th my brother in-law, his wife and 4 year old kid, who came to visit Florida from Dubai had to catch a flight from Orlando to Fayetteville with a connection flight in Atlanta. Due to bad weather in Orlando, the DELTA flight to Atlanta was delayed by an hour and finally when they reached Atlanta, Connection flight to Fayetteville had gone. 2 options were provided, either stay overnight in Atlanta [cost of which has to be completely paid by my family] or travel to some airport near Fayetteville. They choose 2nd option and traveled to TULSA [which is 2.30 hours’ drive from Fayetteville]. Before boarding, they checked & DELTA confirmed, luggage will be sent to TULSA in that flight. Luggage had medicines/child seat for kid.

TULSA flight got delayed by 30 minutes and when finally arrived around 12:00 am at TULSA, the luggage with medicine was missing. On inquiry answer was, "We did not load the luggage from Atlanta. Either we will deliver it tomorrow to your address or we will send it to Fayetteville and you can pick it from there." There was no point in further discussing, we left to Fayetteville via road from TULSA. Due to not having child seat and medicine, we faced some difficult situations at midnight 1:00 am.

Next day morning we get call from DELTA around 9:30 am, saying luggage cannot be delivered to Fayetteville or our house address [since the ticket of my brother-in-law and family was a discounted ticket] and need to be collected from TULSA airport [meaning we will have to again drive back 2.5 hours]. After much discussions [during which they even threatened, they will cancel my family’s discount and blacklist us], they agreed to deliver to Fayetteville around 6:30 pm.

On 06/16th, my brother-in-law and family had to go back to Dubai and the return flight was from Fayetteville to Atlanta to Orlando and then from there to Dubai in Emirates at 2:15 pm. First DELTA flight from Fayetteville to Atlanta was at 06:00 am, but did not take off till 07:00 am [reasons best known to them, since DELTA customer service told, as per their records flights are all on time]. By the time my family reached Atlanta and went to counter to catch the next flight to Orlando, the guy on the DELTA counter told, his scanner is not working, take a print-out of the ticket from KIOSK again and come. My brother-in-law took printout and came as quickly as he could, but now this guy tells gates closed 4 minutes back and "We cannot permit you" [remember... since his scanner was not working, he send them back and now he is telling he cannot get them through].

My 4 year old nephew was almost at the verge of fainting due to all these running between terminals and really bad customer service of DELTA airlines. Now, since option of getting the Emirates flight from Orlando was practically nil, my brother-in-law decided to book a flight to New York or so from where there were Emirates flight taking off at night around 7 pm. But here comes the worst part, DELTA had already loaded their luggage on to Orlando and it’s on way and they will have to collect it from Orlando. DELTA staff informed, they cannot take it to Emirates terminal. Also if they want it to be brought back to Atlanta or New York, it will take time. By this time, we were so fed up with DELTA, we started looking into other flight options.

Few points to highlight in this whole experience: (a) DELTA doesn’t give a damn about its travelers [especially if you are on a discounted ticket]. (b) DELTA doesn’t give a damn about whether you are traveling with a small kid. (c) DELTA doesn’t give a damn about you losing or getting on time your luggage and finally (d) Some of the DELTA customer service professionals/staff needs to get a good lesson on how to behave with passengers [wherein they even go on to the extent of threatening and make passengers run crazy because of their mistakes]. Sharing the experience with everyone [especially people with kids and who are on vacation], so that they start thinking. Is it worth going in DELTA...

Original review: June 14, 2018

I purchased tickets to visit my daughter in Texas. Well, long story short, she is being transferred to Florida so we don’t need these tickets. The flight was 111 days away so I figured we would just change the flight to Texas to a flight to Florida. I was informed that I couldn’t change my flight. I could understand if it was a last minute change, but 111 days notice seemed reasonable. I didn’t want a refund, just to change my flight and have that money applied to my flight to Florida. I am so disappointed in Delta. This would have been my son and my third flight with Delta this year. It’s sad that they don’t work with loyal customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I'm not one for writing reviews, unless I've had the most amazing experience or the worst. With Delta, it has been a nightmare the past few days. It all started with me purchasing a seat for my 11 hour flight to Paris. I bought the seat at 1 a.m on a Sunday, however, it wasn't going through. Every time I tried to purchase a seat, the website would not let me. So, I used a friend's card because I thought something was wrong with mine and it didn't work the two times I tried. So, I decided I would just call the next day and figure it out. A few hours goes by and I receive a bank notification that Delta has charged me 4 times for the seat!!! The seat price was $43 so that adds up.

In addition, my friend was charged twice for it! I waited patiently and called their customer service. First, the customer service agent was rude and speaking to me as though I was incompetent. The agent explained to me that the 4 times I was charged would be dropped within 24 hours and that of the 2 transactions from my friend's card, which went through on their end, one would be reimbursed. So, we hung up the phone and I checked my email for the refund confirmation. Surprise, surprise, they were only refunding $32, not the $43 I paid.

So, I called them back and I was told that's all they charged and that is all they would refund, EVEN THOUGH THEIR SEAT PRICES ARE $43. Finally, I was also confirmed the original seat I wanted. Fast forward a few days and the seat I wanted does not show up on my reservation and has since been taken by someone else. Also, the four times of $43 they charged me still hasn't dropped and both of the transactions went through on my friend's card without a refund. I'm waiting in line again to speak to a representative. Bottom line, absolutely would not recommend to anyone. They are thieves.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was to fly home via Delta from The Bahamas-suddenly they announced a delay and eventually spending the night in the Bahamas. I do know I had to stand in line for 2 hours to get a room voucher. I know these things happen but airport workers were downright rude-I had to retrieve baggage when female worked dropped my bag causing irreparable damages. This person was very rude and refused to answer me when I said, “You dropped my bag!" Was to receive voucher of $100 that I’ve never seen or also to pay for my bag. This happened July 2016.

Original review: June 8, 2018

For the last 3 summers, my husband, our three kids and myself have been traveling to the Dominican Republic from NYC and back. I called today to purchase this summers tickets and to ask about the miles we've accrued. The Delta rep said that because we've been purchasing our young children's tickets through my husbands' account, they've not accrued anything at all. I asked to speak to a supervisor thinking she'd understand that these accounts were originally setup in a way that's not beneficial. I thought she'd overwrite this issue and apply the miles we would have had because of our proven long term history. I even expected that she'd see it as an opportunity to strengthen customer relations by maintaining our patronage. NOPE!!! None, of that!

The supervisor said, that she will not consider our history. All she can do, is open an account for our children so that in the future they can accrue miles. (It almost sounded like I was talking to a previously recorded message). Having, heard me say that we've bought flights every summer since 2015, she offered giving us retroactive miles for the last 6-9 months (last time I bought tickets was 10 months ago. She would have known that, had she checked). I asked for higher ups consideration. She said there is no higher ups. HUH, no higher ups, what?!? If this is what she was trained to say, if Delta Airlines does not see a problem with this policy then Delta Airlines does not value loyal long-term customers and that's a shame.

Original review: June 7, 2018

So my boyfriend and I have always flown with JetBlue. We love their customer service. Recently we decided we would try Delta because they have the skybox and it's comfortable to relax while waiting for a flight. This particular flight we arrived in Atlanta about 5:30 pm. We decided to go to the Skybox, have dinner and our flight was leaving about 7:53 pm. So I was grabbing my belongings and my boyfriend decided to start walking down to the gate just a couple of steps ahead of me. He arrived 16 mins and they said, "Ok you're here. You may board." He said, "My girlfriend is just a couple steps behind me." The lady says if she's not here in 30 seconds once this paper prints she can't get on.

The paper prints and I show up and they said I can't go on the flight. "The next flight you can wait on standby three hours later or pay $1000 for 2 seats." Ridiculous. We've flown with JetBlue countless times and have never been treated us this way. My boyfriend has their credit card and is a skybox member. I would not suggest anyone to fly with them. Their seats are cramped and they didnt even have a tv on a 3 hour flight. Never again.

Original review: June 5, 2018

What a joke!!! The last two times I have made reservations with Delta, they have switched our seats. And then required us to pay an additional ransom fee to sit together. This time I even took a screenshot of the reservation before I hit submit to prove it. They still said there was nothing they could do unless I paid the extra money, because it was a full flight. (If you want to sit with your family I would highly suggest booking with some other Airline rather than Delta). I will never fly with Delta again.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Delta is the airline I use the most. I love the customer service, the people, just the entire experience. I always have a great flight going and coming from anywhere. Delta is the best and won't deter me away from booking in the future.

Original review: May 30, 2018

When I login to https://www.delta.com and try to find my purchased flights, they are not there. Every other airline website keeps track of my trips for me, but Delta's website does not. To look up a trip, I have to enter information for each flight so Delta can look them up. I purchased a flight for a family member and never received an email confirmation. Therefore, I didn't have the information to enter into Delta's website to look up the purchased flight. Infuriating!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My son and I flew to Italy and back on Delta in December. I felt like a piece of meat. The seats were tight even for me at 5'2",105 pounds. In addition, on the return flight, we missed our connection which was Delta's fault. We were not able to fly until the next day. The only hotel we were were able to find was $100 per room and we were not reimbursed.

Original review: May 28, 2018

When we arrived in ATLANTA from ARUBA, we were 2 elderly disabled persons on the jetway with no one to assist us & no wheelchairs. Almost everyone was gone except the flight crew. Then the two sweetest flight attendants said they would go & get us some wheelchairs. After they returned with the chairs, they said, "Let's get started." We could tell they were very tired already after a long day of flying. The ladies helped us all the way through customs, international, and to baggage claim. We are extremely grateful to Delta for employing two such sweet angels, Thank you ELIA ** & MILUSKA ** for putting our needs before yours & being so kind & helpful.

Original review: May 27, 2018

On 3 separate occasions I have tried to book a flight with Delta using SkyMiles after finding the flight and the amount of SkyMiles. I sign into my account to buy tickets and the amount of miles change. All of the employees at Delta can say is prices change. I understand that but only 15 SECONDS had lapsed between the finding and the booking. Also as I continue to look at the same flights days later all of the seats are still there and nothing has changed at all. This is a scam on Delta's part and I told them this I guess that they think people are stupid but in reality they are the ones that are stupid. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but don't expect much there either. I also registered a complaint with American Express about this issue but they said Delta would make it all better. WHAT A JOKE. Good luck using your miles and be very careful when buying tickets from Delta.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have flown Delta out of Atlanta at least 4 times and we have NEVER left on time. In fact, one time we waited over 20 minutes on the plane for two passengers from another flight to arrive. They delayed over 75 customer for the sake of two. That is bad customer service. The other times were for various reasons. None that were acceptable.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Delta has a terrible on-time policy. Their flights to New York are ALWAYS late. Their departure time is no better. The last time I flew on Delta, (leaving from Raleigh, NC), we sat on the tarmac for more than an hour. Not a good airline in the on-time/departure realm.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised by the crew members. Very courteous and respectful, always glad to help the customer with any needs. Great foods and snacks plus excellent movies and Wi-Fi. Have nothing bad to say about Delta Air Lines.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Delta is the worst airline you can fly...even worse than Spirit. They charge customers what they want to that day. Prices change from minute to minute for everything depending on who you contact and what browser you are viewing their website in. Delta is a scam and everyone should avoid them!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I wanted to change the timing of my departing flight, so I called customer service. The rep was funny and explained the whole process to me for their same day change policy. All worked out perfectly for me!

Original review: May 23, 2018

Delta has great customer service. When there was a mechanical issue they bought us a "rat" motel room and $150/person for our next flight. Also, their online check-in is great and they have comfortable seats. And they are generally the cheapest flights when I am looking.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Missed my original flight at 6 pm. Paid $150 for my husband and I to get on the next flight out. I found the price to be reasonable being that I underestimated the traffic. My overall experience with the 2nd flight was great and we had an emergency seat that was available. Snacks and drinks were in abundance, too.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I fly Delta more than any other airline and can balance my experience across foreign and domestic flights. By and large the experiences are positive, and many factors due to the various terminals I pass through. Flights are generally on-time, and full. There are very few opportunities to be upgraded despite my frequent traveler status.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Whenever we travel by Delta we never had any issues, they have been good, and the only thing I would suggest that they need to have better snacks on their flights.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Horrible experience every time I fly this airline. Our group was kicked off our flight which had an international connection because some Delta employees wanted to go home and refused to wait for the next plane. No refunds!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Booked my flight from NY to Vegas out of JFK, purchased a first class ticket early flight, went into the first class lounge and was told only for international flights only. Guess what? Will never fly Delta again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Flight attendants need better training or more turnover in employees. They really seem to not like their jobs. On the other hand, flight is always smooth and very professional pilots.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Flight DL 4575 was the worst flight ever. The blonde flight attendant was so rude. My twins who just turned 3 were flying for the first time. I had one on my lap and was trying to comfort him before take off. Instead of the flight attendant to kindly let me know I couldn't have him on my lap during take off, she rudely snapped at me as if to get a reaction out of me. She was rude and very inconsiderate throughout the whole flight. I'm not one to complain but this was the worst flight ever. The flight attendant was very manner-less and needs proper training. My kids were very uncomfortable and we were travelling Delta Comfort. There was nothing comfortable about this trip.

Original review: May 6, 2018 We were told that our SkyMiles (3 people) would be added to our account in a week's time and guess what, after spending over 2 hours on the phone, the Supervisor, Glenda in Dallas, Portsmouth tells us, those 3 agents from Delta, (that we spent over 2 hours on the phone with), gave us the wrong information.

I am writing this review for whoever flies Delta. When you find a deal on say, Expedia, for any Delta flights, before proceeding with your booking, call Delta with the details of that particular flight, ask them to match the price and ensure that the SkyMiles are added to your account.

It seems like the Customer service department is very poorly trained and therefore every representative gives you different information. My message to Delta Airlines is, kindly train your staff well so they know what the heck is going on. Also, it is imperative that Delta customer service agents take responsibility for each other's actions and Delta Airlines as a Whole, rather than saying, it's not my department or the Delta agent gave you the wrong information, they didn't know etc.

Thank you.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I had the worst experience on DL3799 on 3/6/2018 thanks to Air Hostess Pat (AHP). My seat neighbor was a pleasant enough fellow. All 400 lbs of him. Prior to departure, I asked AHP if I could relocate to a different seat. She instructed me to sit back down because she was doing a head count. I gladly complied. I asked her again about changing and she said once the plane reached 10,000’ she would let me know because she would have to instruct me on exit row strategies. I thought great; I’d be able to breathe soon.

Needless to say, AHP stayed up front with the other crew, and never came back until well after the pilot announced we were at our cruising altitude of 35,000’. My only interaction with AHP was when she came back offering refreshments. When she asked me what I wanted, I told her all I wanted was to know when we reached 10,000’ so I could relocate. Her only comment was that passengers were “free to move around at our own desire” which directly contradicted her instructions to me.

AHP showed extreme distraction and appeared confused with her tasks. She showed the worst level of courtesy to me. I don’t make trouble for professionals in their capacity as such; goodness knows there are too many challenges in air travel lately and I am respectful. But she pushed too many irritation buttons with me.

I sent this same complaint to Delta, and they called me to apologize, and gifted me miles to help the situation. So at least it ended better than the experience of being frustrated.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information