2.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 23, 2018

2020 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased a flight from Delta Airlines with a connector through Atlanta, GA. The flight that Delta sold me had a 36 minute layover time. 36 minutes. To get to your next flight. Ok. So Delta should know this, right? So Delta will give its customers a few extra minutes to get to their flight, right? Wrong. The flight was supposed to leave at 10:35. I got to the gate at 10:28. 7 minutes early. "No, no. See, the door is closed. And once the door is closed, there's nothing we can do." "But the plane is still here. Please let me on?" "No, you have to go and get another flight." Trash airline. I WILL NEVER fly Delta again in my life. PERIOD. Not to mention, I was on the phone for over an hour with Delta. On HOLD. And they never answered.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I was attempting to book a flight for our family to Japan. Searched on Google Flights. Once I found the flight that I was interested in, I was not able to book without calling Delta or a travel agent. The number for Delta Air Lines was listed. I then proceeded to call Delta, speaking with a rep I asked several times if the seats I was purchasing were premium economy. As the agent took my information, they confirmed to me the seats were premium economy. He even informed me I would get $200 off for every child we have just because I called in. After 40 minutes of placing me on hold and returning to complete my booking we were done. As I was booking, I noticed I was getting charged for every passenger as evidenced by the emails I was getting. This happened prior to the conclusion of the conversation/booking.

Before getting off the phone, I asked for assigned seating - after being charged - and was told to hold on yet again as the agent needed to talk to his manager. He informed me we have the last row on the plane. I knew from experience this was not premium select seats. Upon asking the agent simply said “You’ll have a great time in Japan, your seats are in the back because it’s closer to the bathroom since you have kids.” I then repeatedly asked for what I paid for which were premium economy seats and he confirmed they were. We ended the call by him saying I could reassign my seats and I had time to do so.

Needless to say, this left a bad feeling especially after I was charged thousands of dollars for the wrong seats. I then called Delta again to complain and see if I can get the seats I paid for. Ultimately reaching the supervisor, I was told that specific plane to Japan does not have premium seats at all. When I informed her the multiple times I had to make sure they were premium and was confirmed, her reply was “sorry for the miscommunication”. This was not a miscommunication. It is a scam in my opinion. They ask that you call Delta and when I did, they sell you seats that are not what you paid for at all hoping you won’t check until it’s too late.

I even asked if the line was recorded and was told all Delta conversation is recorded. Asked the supervisor to listen in on the convo so she can hear for herself how the agent repeatedly confirmed those premium seats for me. Her reply was “although the conversation is recorded, we have no way of listening to it.” Will never fly Delta. The fraudulent nature of their sales tactic is revolting to say the least. I have flagged the charge with my credit card company and will dispute the charges. Canceled the Delta bookings. Booked on ANA airlines. Straightforward and clear.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 3, 2018

We had a connecting flight in JFK. When we arrive to check in we realized that Delta change the timing of the flight without informing us and took away our seats which we had confirmed only booked online and replacement of that we ended up having an eight hour layover and we’re very exhausted. We hope this does not happen again in future. Delta should have informed us by email that this was going to happen.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My mom and I had a flight scheduled for the 28th of March, 2018 out of Charlotte NC. Our event that we went for, canceled, which left us stranded at the airport on the 27th (also my birthday), figuring out what to do with our time. My mother started feeling ill, and I was coming back from a long week of caring for my elderly grandparents. ALL we wanted was to go home. We checked with the staff, Brenda was who we spoke to first. Then to Tim. They both tried and were only able to lower the cost but not to where we could afford it. Some time passed and Brenda called my name over the intercom to the desk and had performed a miracle! Her manager Stella ** helped to arrange a way for us to catch a flight that morning! It really was a serendipitous moment.

We hugged and cried with joy! Stella then handed me two drink cards for a birthday gift! They really were the most giving and gracious women. I am so grateful for the service and work they did. My lesson learned, is to now buy my tickets directly through Delta in the future, so in case of a need to change, they can do it easier. This was definitely a miracle. We were very satisfied with the flights as well! Most grateful to Tim, Stella **, and our Angel, Brenda. Thank you to you all for helping and making me a definite Delta fan and customer for in the future. Love to you. And many thanks for a magical birthday!

Original review: March 29, 2018

This used to be the best airline to fly... wow how things have changed! I was appalled at the horrendous customer service, lack of empathy (we were delayed and missed the whole reason why we were going to our destination). It was not due to weather but to mechanical. We tried to reroute and encountered rude and unprofessional assistants. I will never fly Delta again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I scheduled a flight for my little brother flying out of Jacksonville, North Carolina to Salt Lake City for my little brother. He was flying active-duty *ON ORDERS* to report to the Marine Corps in Salt Lake City, Utah. The representative messed up and booked the flight with a departure city of Jacksonville "Florida" instead. We get the mix up, everyone is human, but after a 1-2 hour hold for customer service, they advised me all they had left was first class tickets out of North Carolina and the ticket we had requested had since sold out.

I spoke to the supervisor Victor who was aware he was on orders to report, but he said "Sorry, you can cancel and schedule something for tomorrow." and refused to upgrade the ticket to business/first class. For some reason they couldn't understand he wasn't able to simply "Reschedule to another day" as he was on orders to report. The lack of this company’s ability to take ownership of their faults and mistakes is disgusting. You can't admit fault and provide the ticket that was promised for an active-duty military member? I filed a complaint with "DOT" but I highly doubt even they will do anything about this. When are we going to pass more laws to regulate these people from screwing us over and doing whatever they want?

Original review: March 27, 2018

We were a party of 4 that includes a 10 year old child. Our seats were assigned to us and were all over the plane. We requested our 10 year old be reassigned next to one of the adults in our party. We were told the reassignment could not be done. We will not be using Delta.

Original review: March 26, 2018

While on 3 flights to return from Sydney, Australia, to Washington, DC, Delta made the decision not to load a number of passengers luggage onto the plane in Detroit, without telling any of us. By the time we reached DC, no other planes were flying for the night. There was no explanation as to why our luggage was selectively left off the plane, but we were promised delivery the next day. That did not happen. After spending over 30 hours on Delta flights, they somehow managed to send our luggage from Detroit to Atlanta, back to Detroit, to JFK, and finally to Norfolk for delivery to us. Except it wasn’t delivered, even though the tracker was closed out. It took another day to get delivery after lies and omissions from Delta. Emails to their customer service were not helpful, as they were ignored until the luggage was finally delivered. Poor customer service and lack of interest in resolution!

Original review: March 26, 2018

We were almost 2 hours late departing from Beijing, China because they couldn't locate 1 piece of luggage in the storage compartment. We arrived late at the (very unpleasant) Detroit airport and I was stuck in Customs for an exorbitant amount of time. My 1 checked bag was among the last to come out, so I had to literally run through the airport to make my connecting flight. Unfortunately, the gate agents had just closed the door and wouldn't allow me on, although the plane was still at the gate (surprisingly, they had enough time to load my piece of luggage on that flight though). They booked me on the next flight, supposedly 1 hour 15 minutes later. However, it was delayed as well! My concerns and complaints were completely ignored. The Delta employees were totally apathetic and dismissive. I will NEVER fly Delta again.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Recently I flew with Delta Airlines. They were great finding me a flight to come to Boston after my flight got cancelled due to weather. They also managed to find me a limo with bostontransportationgroup.com to drive me home. I recommend Delta for all your flight needs.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Are you not supposed to have a pilot already assigned to an aircraft??? My wife and child had to wait at the airport over 7 hours because these people DID NOT HAVE A PILOT!!! The people who work for Delta clearly hate their jobs cause they take it out on the customer. From the check in to boarding it’s been nothing but trouble with Delta. Fair warning. Use ANYBODY but Delta AA, United airlines, even SPIRIT! Anybody but Delta.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was just bumped with my family that includes 2 small children. Not making the flight means losing a day of vacation, prepaid hotel, lift tickets and ski lessons. The gate agents gave away our seats away as we were standing at the gate with our bags already on the plane. The gate agents shrugged her shoulders and smirked as they boarded standby passengers with now with our seat assignments. That’s a couple $1000 down the drain. I live in Atlanta and will be obliged to fly them again, but I will never forget and I officially HATE, HATE Delta. They showed a complete lack of humanity.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I cannot believe Atlanta based Delta Airlines treats customers this way. I booked a flight directly on their website for $672. I noticed today the price went down nearly a $100. I called to get them to price match and they said they don't Do that. I explained that I book straight with Delta because I thought it would be better than going through a discount Website. I only got it is better to book direct and I'm sorry but the airline would not call when call the fare went up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I saw on Delta.com a certain ticket price for 1 passenger that assured to me that "5 seats left at this price". However, once I changed the number of passengers from 1 to anything higher Delta upped the price! (I verified a few times going back and forth between the prices). Calling Delta's Customer Support was a 2 hours hell. Transferring me from one department to another they couldn't do anything effectively. Reps like Zach, Rashida, and a supervisor named Alehandro were insisting the price is higher and kept telling me that if I go online now I would see a higher price. Does anyone have FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection number? We need to stops unfair, deceptive and fraudulent business practices, like Delta's, from fooling more customers like that.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My sister is flying in to visit and trying to reach A REAL PERSON to find our which terminal she will arrive in is impossible! The on-line information gives 2 different ones and NO ONE IS LIVE OR AVAILABLE TO ASK unless I want to hold on line for 45 minutes or wait 4 hours to get a callback. And the help box on the internet says not available now??? What is wrong with this so called company? Company for who??? Not us that is for sure! I will NEVER fly them EVER!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Myself and my daughter was in Boston airport for the first after her surgery. Everyone was so rude from security, to Wendy’s and once we reached the gate (A8) to ask questions Ann ** was very rude and not helpful at all. We stood at counter for about 20 min before she even said anything to us. I’m so disappointed and my flight was pretty expensive and with this being only our second flight I nervous to deal with this airline again! I’m so upset because my child just received brain surgery and to be treated with such disrespect was shocking! I felt as if we were the only people receiving that bad service with us being **!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

An indication of the ordeal I would face, was when I tried to check in online one day before my January 26 flight with Delta Airlines. I tried to check in online, but received an error message that I should check in at the (Haneda, Japan) airport counter. The day of the flight, I checked in at the counter as I was instructed to do. At the counter I was forced to check in my carry-on as it was deemed to be too heavy. Delta does not have weight restrictions for carry-on. I was made to check in my carry-on for USD 200. Unbeknownst to me, at the time of receiving my boarding pass, they had added the SSSS code to it, after which I was treated like a criminal up to the point of my final destination. My personal belongings were repeatedly dug up, and I made to go through multiple body screening and pat downs. This started at Haneda Airport and while transiting via Los Angeles (LAX) airport.

Even though I was traveling on a single ticket, I had to check out then check in my luggage again at LAX. I was told at the Delta check in counter at LAX that I needed to pay another USD 199 for my carry-on or I couldn't take it with me. I couldn't leave my carry-on, so I paid it. While waiting to board my flight at LAX an announcement came over the public system inviting travelers for that particular flight to check in their carry-on for free, after just charging me for mine.

Since then my sister and I have been in dialogue with someone from Delta. They conceded that I should not have paid a second time for my luggage, but insisted my carry-on was too heavy, and the initial charge stands. Since they had linear limitations, I would have understood if they measured my carry-on and presented the measurements with their claims. However, I was told it was too heavy, though there is no weight limit. The fact that they then added the SSSS code to my boarding pass clearly showed that I was being discriminated against. There is nothing in my past to trigger this, as I don't even have as much as a traffic ticket against my name.

To make matters worse, Delta has sought to dismiss the case, by refunding the second charge for my luggage in LAX, by making out cheque to me using my sister's address. I don't live with my sister and Delta was informed of this before the check was made out. This is very unprofessional! Shouldn't my carry-on be measured instead of weighed, based on the information Delta provide on its website? With the events that followed I felt I was discriminated against, and made to unnecessarily check in my carry-on at a cost. Due process was not given in my situation. Shouldn't the airline have indicated in the itinerary that I would need to check out then check in again at the connecting airport? It is possible I could have changed my flight and spared additional transportation costs.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I was recently on an international flight on Korean Air KE0036, a Delta co-share. I was told when it was booked over 8 months ago, I would get Delta points. This Flight was my second leg of a flight from Daytona Beach, with a return on February 28th. Even after the ticket was booked, I followed up and call Delta to checked, and was told yes since it a co-share I would get points. I also checked at the Atlanta terminal too, twice even. Once in the concourse Delta desk, and once at the international terminal, outside security during a long layover due to a cancel/delay Delta flight due to equipment issues. They also confirmed I would get MQM, MQS, or MQD. After a week in Korea I check and noticed no MQM, MQS, or MQD, for that segment?

I then tweeted @Delta on Twitter. They said as part of their compensation package they can only offer me point or money, and was directed to reach out to your Customer service. I would not have booked travel to Korea with Delta and their co-share not to get any MQM, MQS, and MQD and confirmed this with Delta. I only have the info I was giving from your Delta representatives, one the phone and in person. I even follow through as I was told to make sure Korean Air had my Delta number on the ticket, and when I check in to Korean Air it was already there.

I’m now also concern about my return trip. It's not about the points. It's about the status as a business travel that live weekly flying. I’m expecting no less my MQM, MQS, and MQD as a normal Delta flight. I even check and my fare was U - Shuttle Service (no reservation needed/seat guaranteed). It was not a discounted fare. I put this back on you Delta to make right. I have also filed a complaint U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the Secretary of Transportation. My receipts and ticket never showed that this ticket was no good for MQM, MQS, and MQD. I'm still fighting them on this. No love from me for Delta.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

A soldier was on board deceased. All passengers on board were told to stay quiet as we were going to sing the national anthem for the soldier. The flight attendant stated passengers were not allowed to sing the anthem due to company policy as many passengers wanted to. All due to others from different countries, this is America. Your jobs in America. Business based out of America and you're going to tell us not to sing the anthem? This is part of who and what we all are. If you're embarrassed to sing our anthem or pay proper tribute to a soldier who have his life for all us, you all should be ashamed of yourselves as a whole company. Against company policy. Well your company just violated our constitutional right to free speech!!! You're so worried about different races. Well you should be concerned with your own and pay tribute to a soldier who gave his life for all us.

This is America not Syria. If they get so offended then don't come to our country period. We should not have to be quiet in a matter like this. If they are going to America then they should have to adjust to what America is all about. How could your company be so disrespectful, rude and arrogant towards your passengers and the loss of a soldier? Your company is not worth anyone ever paying you to get where they're needed if you as a company can't let us as Americans use our constitutional right of free speech if that offends someone who gives a damn we live here. And a soldier passed away fighting for us period. I will never fly with Delta again as many others will also hear of this. This company is the up-most disrespectful I have ever been involved with. Good job at being ashamed of who you are as of America.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

As I am typing this, I've been waiting on phone for 45 minutes for Delta customer rep. Called to re-book flight due to winter snow storm in Detroit. Got one rep after waiting approx. 45 min. She told me I could reschedule my flight from Fr. 2/9/18 5.25pm Syr to SAT. Gave me a Sat connection. Then stated I'd have to wait approx 2 min. for booking agent. Since then, I've waiting another 40 minutes. I would have liked to reschedule my flight online but when rescheduling due to weather... no luck... only phone reschedule possible. Still waiting for someone to answer the phone while listening to the idiotic recording telling me I could upgrade or reschedule my flight online, which I CANNOT. Empty promises, and lies... that's all I've got so far. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I paid a $75 fee at Pittsburgh to go standby on an earlier set of flights to Atlanta and then Fort Lauderdale. I arrived in Atlanta and Delta wanted another $75 to put me on standby for the available FLL flight. No respect for customers - they just view us as lambs to fleece. I'm going back to flying United.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Delta charged me $400 to move my flight up a day. They then cancelled my flight claiming they weren't paid. I proved they were paid. They refused to compensate for my time to book my flight a second time while collecting $400 dollars. They never informed me my flight was cancelled. I would have arrived at the airport to have no seat.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Horrible. They charged me to bring my surfboard from Hawaii to Los Angeles. My surfboard was breaking in pieces and I show the attendant, and they denied to pay for my damage, so I lost my surfboard and nobody cared from Delta. It's a shame What happened, the worst company in the business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

A joke - spoiled by Northwest and roomy seats - friendly flight attendants and gate agents. These part time/non-employee attendants could care less. I asked for boarding with first class and was told I'd board with other passengers, not first class - although was advised I could probably upgrade as soon as she had her count????

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

RE: Captain Randy **. For the past two days you were an incredible Captain and Gentleman. Thank you. As you know, it all started between Salt Lake and Minneapolis when you received the news, and promptly informed us that we would be landing in Rapid City, South Dakota because the Minneapolis airport could not handle us at that time.

We all deplaned a bit stunned but in good spirits. While the plane was not large, it was not small either and our group quickly filled the small airport and overwhelmed the staff at the one restaurant/bar but we all waited in line and it was just fine. You kept us up to date as the afternoon progressed and you did the new thing airline are now doing in situations like these – ordering pizza. We all appreciate this gesture, keep it up Delta. However, you did it with a twist, YOU HELPED SERVE THE PIZZA. You made sure that we all had plates, napkins and plenty to eat. I think we were all stunned right then and there.

Then came the news that the Minneapolis airport was closed and we would have to spend the evening in Rapid City. But you didn’t leave us hanging. You gave us all instructions (and confidence) on what to do and expect the next morning. Be here by 6:30 and we would go through the security section with our name and previous day’s boarding pass.

That evening we all received cancellation notices on our phones but we believed what you said and we were all there the next morning. Only when we asked did you inform us that you had been on the phone for two hours the evening before to ensure that we all would be getting on an 8 am flight out. The next morning we were at the airport, standing in a painfully slowly moving line. You were able to talk with the three overwhelmed check-in attendants as well as security. Those with no bag to check and no boarding pass could go straight through security with just their ID and knowledge of our previous day’s seat. Those of us that had to check luggage still had to stand in line but they hand wrote tags to get us on our way.

When we got to the gate, you again smoothed the way. Once the agents realized that assigning us all new seats would take hours, you convinced them to check us off of the old manifest and we all just sat in our old seats or found another. No one was upset. We just ALL wanted to be on our way. And we were. ALL of us. You didn’t leave anyone behind.

Of course the final fun. When we landed we were three feet from the gate and we had to wait for them to dig out the entrance ramp from the snow so that we could get off the plane. Again, because the plane and ramp didn’t quite meet up and we needed to mind our step, you were actually there to ensure no one fell.

You did not have to do many or any of the things you did those two days. But you did. You are not only an incredible Captain but a great leader. You made us all feel like the airlines actually cared about us that day. Thank you Captain **. It is a story we will all tell for years.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We booked three bags Bombay-Paris-Atlanta-Dallas on 12/23/2017. The flight was fine all the way. At Atlanta, we cleared Customs, and dropped off the three bags for DL 1363 for Atlanta. At DFW, two bags arrived; the third was missing. We reported the missing bag, and came home. Our bag contained new Sprees, shoes, clothes, children's ethnic wear and other items. A month later, Delta informed us the bag had not showed up and offered us a Montreal Convention "fixed" amount of $1600, way less than half of the cost of items lost. My son's wheelchair is also damaged to the extent that we have to buy a new chair for him. After we complained, Delta sent us a travel voucher for $250 for my son (who is mobility, sight, and speech disabled and can't travel by himself). What despicable service from an international air carrier! I wonder how long it will be before the company goes bankrupt.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Delta representatives at TPA airport and JFK airport are the most unprofessional people I had work with. In case of possible delays they doesn't help us but instead doing inappropriate things and tried to completely ruin our trip. They lazy, slow and doesn't care about you. More important they obvious showing you that they doesn't care.

TPA representative had rebooked connection tickets for us with Aeroflot that wasn't even permitted by Aeroflot. In one hour they did help only for 1 family of whole line! We was second and they doesn't even helped us. Delta gate representatives constantly left the workdesk. It was the most inconvenient way possible with awaiting of 24 hours at airports without any food or supply. And that rebooked flights actually wasn't created. It was fiction! After arriving first connection JFK airport We had to rebook it again.

And JFK Delta terminal representative MICHAEL completely messed our older and new books up. We wanted to move to the next airport at the same day but these guys spent 1 hour on phone and did screwed our trip completely. We spent so much time and nerves to restore our flights after them and lost our luggage. We still don't know where they sent our luggage to. I really regret We didn't go to Aeroflot from beginning. They had to fix all the flights shortly after them to set a new flight at the same day what actually was possible while Delta guys doesn't care to dwell us in New York for more than 24 hours with no dinner or lodging for the night. We are strongly recommend do not use Delta Airlines to plan your trip or even ask for help at Delta terminals. It could ruin your vacation.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Timeline on my recent Delta trip. Original flight was scheduled for 1/6/18. Leaving JAX at 6 am and arriving in JFK at 8:27 am. Due to weather the trip had to be rebooked, Delta was kind enough to rebook us on a flight the same day, and that's where the kindness ended! 1/5/18 - I receive an email notification that the flight was cancelled and rebooked to a flight that left JAX at 10:50 am and had 2 layovers; one in ATL and one in D.C and would not be arriving in JFK until 7 pm that night. I called Delta that evening to see if there is anything more direct since we were all traveling with lap seat infants. Whilst there was nothing that could be done to get us on a more convenient flight the Delta representative was kind enough to offer over the phone check in. All the information about myself, my brother, and my sister in law was provided, INCLUDING THE FACT THAT WE EACH HAD AN INFANT.

1/6/18 - 9 am arrive at JAX airport. Complete curbside check in. The curbside representative saw all 3 infants and even commented on each of them and gave us our tickets. We asked several times if we were okay with the babies and was assured everything was fine. 10 am - get through the security line for them to tell us we do not have infant tickets and we have to go back to the Delta check in to get the correct ones. We run to Delta, plead our case, new tickets are issued and we are told that we won't have any issues with our connecting flights. Because of having to go back to Delta and going through the security line a second time we literally make it to our first flight as they are closing the doors. 10:50 am we get on flight 858 to ATL.

A flight attendant took my carry on bag, despite me telling her that I needed those items for my 11 month old daughter (bottles pacifiers, snacks, etc) and just shoved it in a random overhead in the back of the plane. Needless to say it was a VERY long flight with my baby since I had nothing to entertain her with. 12:00 pm - arrive in ATL, with our next flight taking off at 12:45 am. I have to wait till everyone gets off the plane and then look for my carry on diaper bag that's been stowed god knows where. 12:30 pm - arrive at the gate for flight 150 to D.C. The desk clerk prints off our tickets, but surprise there is no record of infant travelers! They close the doors to the flight and keep telling us we're probably not going to make it on and this is our fault for not checking the tickets (reminder for you, the JAX Delta representative told us the system would be updated to reflect the infants for all of our flights on that day).

The ATL representative starts calling a bunch of people (no clue who, probably lunch or something) and then lets us on the plane. When we get on the plane, we're told 3 infants can't be in a row together and we all have to sit somewhere else, even though our tickets are all together! So now we've successfully delayed this flight for anyone who is on board. 2:30 pm arrive at D.C and wait on flight 3694 to JFK. No real issues there except a flight delay due to weather (Don't worry Delta, I'm not blaming you for that). 7 pm arrive in JFK. Wait at the baggage terminal for an hour and a half (because we were told that's how long it would take for the baggage to reach the belt). 8:30 pm I wait in line at the Delta baggage office to try and get an update. (Mind you; we have no car seats and it's 10 degrees outside the airport and all our coats are in those bags.)

9:30 pm- reach a clerk at the Delta baggage office in JFK for them to tell us that they don't know where our luggage is. Our luggage made it on to the flight and they have no idea why after 2.5 hours it hasn't reached the belt yet. I suggested maybe calling down to the people that load/unload the luggage at the plane for an update and that seemed like a crazy foreign concept and no one had any idea how to do that. 10 pm - still in the Delta baggage office waiting on an update. Now my 11 month old daughter is 2 hours past bedtime and all of the food and snacks have been depleted and she is PISSED. Another Delta representative comes up to me and says with the more attitude than I cared to endure at that moment, "Why would you have your baby out in this. You should take her home, call the Delta number and file a claim for your luggage."

Considering I am on vacation, I have no car seat to leave the airport with, no coat to put on my infant daughter and no food to feed her I will admit I almost lost it on this woman. 11 pm -Our luggage and car seats finally reached the belt DAMAGED!!! - my suitcase has a completely ripped out bottom - my car seat won't latch across the chest and the fabric is torn - and a number of small personal items damaged/missing, most likely because my suitcase was missing a bottom!!! We arrived home (JAX) last night and I called Delta first thing this morning about these issues. Waited on hold 2.5 hours (which I get, there are a lot of people calling about Delta's terrible customer service right now).

The woman I speak with drops me off at the website to tell me to file the claim online for my bags (no guidance, or assistance, just a "here you go") and when I ask to talk about all the other complaints I have, I get dropped off into a hold queue that is so busy right now the message says they're not taking calls at the moment. In conclusion, I completely understand we had this horrible snow storm 2 weeks ago (I am in FL and it snowed here) so I get it that delays were caused. I'm not complaining about our flight being rebooked, or anything else weather related.

I am complaining because a) I spoke with and saw a number of Delta representatives, all of which were told we were traveling with infants and none of them printed infant tickets causing us to be seconds away from missing our first flight. b) Our luggage was lost in JFK (I say lost because no one could tell me where it was) and the average wait to get luggage was 1.5-2 hours and we had to wait 4. c) Our items were damaged and missing. d) The Delta representatives are clearly sick of speaking with customers because they are all extremely rude and have just run out of cares to give to their customers. So Delta you clearly owe your reps some lunch or a bonus or something because they are making matters so much worse by just not caring.

Now I have filled a claim online for my damaged items however the website would only accept one upload, so I have no idea if you got the picture of the damaged personal items, luggage, or car seat but I'll be more than happy to go over all the information with someone in the estimated 6-8 weeks I was told it would take for a Delta claim member to follow up. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I recently had a horrific flight on Iberia Airlines. I was flying Delta during the Atlanta Airport power outage and feared the worst. Instead, Delta surpassed all my expectations! DETAILS: I was traveling with my wife and 4 small children. Our tickets had been pushed to standby. We called and immediately got a Delta rep. She was patient, clear, and painstakingly walked us through each step of the way in getting us assigned to seats for BOTH legs of the trip. She also stayed on the line to verify that I had received email confirmations for both flights. When we arrived at the airport the attendants at the gates as well as the stewardess went out of their way to ensure that our kids were relocated to seats next to their parents. The best insight into a company is how they deal with a disruption. Delta passed with flying colors. I will go out of my way to select them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Delta provides very poor customer service and has just lost a valuable future customer. I noticed on Delta Hub newsletter that Cindy ** was mentioned for outstanding contributions to customer service and SkyMiles support. However, I have had a much different experience. I am a United Platinum member. I was considering traveling with Delta since I will be flying to Atlanta. When I applied for status match, I received an email from Cindy stating that she believes my credentials submitted is not valid. Essentially she is accusing me of faking my United status.

I had provided all my personal information. How can she make this conclusion? Her conclusion is absolutely wrong and my United status is very valid. I had provided all the screenshots and information that was requests. More than anything, this is very insulting as I like to understand what method she used to arrive at this very wrong conclusion. She left no contact information and she said that all future requests will be discarded. How insulting is this? This does not seem like good customer service. When I tried to call Delta, they said the wait time is over 2 hours. I don't think I want to do business with Delta. I will stay with United.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information