2.31/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 12, 2017

1983 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I just called Delta at 800 221 1212 to make a change in an existing reservation and was told that the wait time is “more than two hours”. What a poor way to help customers. It is obvious that they don’t really care and, since the government turned them loose, no one can do anything except choose another airline...which I shall do. How unfortunate that this once great airline apparently has such poor leadership.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I️ am on the last leg of a 12-day trip. Have been on a trip from the US to India. In Atlanta the flight from ATL to CDG was 4 hours delayed which made me miss my connecting flight from CDG to Bangalore. Since there was only one flight per day and there were no more seats Delta placed me on Jet Airways the following day from CDG to Amsterdam to Bangalore. When I asked about my 2 pieces of baggage they assured me that my bags would follow me. The last place I️ saw my bags were flying to Paris. It has now been 10 days with no bags. Delta says I️ have to have a claim with Jet Airways which was done, then Jet Airways said that Delta never released my bags to them. I️ have been calling multiple times daily to both airlines and no one will tell me where my bags are nor how to claim lost baggage. They all wash their hands of any responsibility and I’m at a loss.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had lots of concerns about Delta when I first flew in December 2016; after all they were replacing Northwest, aka Northworst. I have flown them again, at least for a part of itinerary and they seem to have improved a lot. I didn't get any compensation related to the way a very late departure, cancelled flights, very late brought in a new crew (at Atlanta, where they are based) was dealt with in December 2016. They seem to have really improved since then, however. It would be appreciated to receive compensation from Dec 2016 issues, though!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Service and flight about like other majors, crowded, seats cramped, luggage fees, etc. and altogether not much fun. Also, Delta frequently is late departing and arriving.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Well don't bring too much luggage, don't ask to change seats due to smells, no food or drinks are free. Bathrooms are very small. I was wondering how handicapped used lavatory.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I want to Voice my complaint against my horrible experience with Delta Airlines on Oct 30th. It took me 20+ hrs to get to my home from CLT. Originally my flight DL2107 was to depart at 7.40 AM from CLT to SLC and then have a connecting flight DL1653 from SLC to SNA at 11.26 AM. We were boarded on the plane even when the crew knew plane has electrical issues. We sat on the plane till 9.30 AM when they announced that the plane has issues, the PA system not working and we have deboard the plane and rebook our tickets to the destinations. After standing in line for 1 hr, I was offered the same route for my destination saying that the same flight DL2107 would now leave to SLC at 12.20 PM and a connecting flight DL2365 from SLC to SNA would leave at 4.57 PM.

We were told that an empty plane would come in from Atlanta and would depart to SLC. While we were waiting in the lounge for the DL2107 flight, they keep changing the departure times to SLC. Finally the plane from Atlanta arrived and we thought we would get on the plane. But after 15 mins the crew member announces that the flight that came in from Atlanta is in no condition to fly and they are going to bring in the morning flight as the issues were fixed on this and we will have to board it from gate A5 instead of A3. We all go to A5 and wait for 15 mins, we hear another announcement that we need to go to A3 and board the flight. We went to A3 and followed the boarding process and sat on the plane till 2.30 when we hear another announcement to deboard the plane as this plane is not ready to fly and need to rebook again.

After standing in line again for 1 hr for rebooking the route they could best offer me was DL1611 CLT to DWT @ 5.15 PM and DL1845 DWT to LAX @8.05 PM as they did not have any planes to SNA for that day. If I would take that flight I would reach LA by 10.15 and it's about 1.30 hr drive in traffic to get to my home in Orange County, and also I would need to book a ride at that late hour to get to home. I asked the agent this would cost me additional money for the taxi around 60$. But the agent wasn't at all understanding and refused to offer me any kind of help. She mentioned that if I have issues I should report it through the website. I asked if I could get refund so that I could book another one which would reach faster, I was told I booked through Expedia so they cannot offer me refund.

What kind of reason was that, after what you put me through the whole day, you wouldn't even refund me to book a different flight. Is it even fair to ask your customers to sit from morning 7.40 AM to evening 5 PM that is 9 hr on some complimentary snacks and not even offering meal passes. I was supposed to report to work from afternoon. I lost my work day, who would compensate me for the money I need to earn on that day? Not to mention the whole stress and tiredness I had to go through the whole process. I still have the after effects going through such a stressful and traumatic experience. Delta being a big airlines, I have not expected this kind of treatment to its customers. It is very unfortunate that I have chosen to fly Delta for the first time and this would be my last time.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Delta is pretty good but used to be better. Customer service is ok and the attendants and pilots seem good. But seats are cramped. Prices can be good or very high if booked late.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I booked a flight from Boston to Minot North Dakota to go pheasant hunting with my business partner and our dogs. I have done this many times over many years with Delta. Upon arriving at the airport and standing in line for 20-30 minutes at 3 in the morning, I was informed that the dogs would not be allowed on the plane. A new policy in place required us to ship the dogs via Delta Cargo. The policy has been in place for about one year.

When I made the reservation I informed Delta that we were bringing dogs, I was directed to their website to ensure that I had met all of the requirements i.e. crate size, health certificate, etc. I didn't notice the fine print about the new policy. The requirements about crate size and health requirements were very prominent as if they expected people to check dogs in as baggage. I have a history of bringing a dog on the plane in this fashion. That's OK. Shame on me for not spending hours scrutinizing every sentence of the site looking for the 'GOTCHA'.

Instead of explaining the new policy and helping us make other arrangements, the Delta staff simply kicked us to the sidewalk to fend for ourselves. To add insult to injury, one of the Delta staff kept haranguing me about getting my dog into a crate, and not keeping her on a leash, while in the terminal. My business partner was so shocked and disgusted by the treatment we received that he loaded the dogs and luggage into a car and drove 30 hours to our destination rather than deal with Delta. They had to try hard, but Delta convinced him that driving 30 hours was easier and more attractive than flying with them. Good job Delta. The slightest measure of simple courtesy and assistance would have gone a long way towards customer loyalty. Delta obviously doesn't need our business, but they should at least pretend that they care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It was a very pleasant, uneventful airplane ride from Boston to FL. On the way back, there was a slight delay but I was notified several ways-email, text, airport monitors. I would prefer not to have to pay for stored luggage but most airlines require payment.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Atlanta was the worst. Even flying first class you are subjected to rudeness and poor service beyond words. We were ignored, told to get out of my face among other things. I will never fly Delta again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The flights themselves were completely well done. My experience was deeply influenced, however, by a storm on the East Coast which disrupted schedules for eastbound flights. While the gate agents were actually heroic in their efforts, Delta did not staff its gates adequately. Since this storm was not a surprise, arrangements for enhanced staffing were easily feasible. I felt very badly for the gate agents who had to deal with hundreds of irate travelers with no assistance, and I can see no mitigating circumstances for Delta's managerial failure.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I've been flying Delta since it acquired Northwest A.L. some years ago. As with N.W., I have not been disappointed. I usually make reservations by phone rather than online and have found the agent always accommodating, respectful and I do use their recommendations concerning car rentals. The fights are virtually always on time and, although I have experienced temporary flight delays, they nevertheless seem to be able to always arrive at the destination early. I have never missed a connecting flight.

Additionally, their service and assistance at the ports of departure and arrival have invariably been nothing but helpful. The Flight Attendants have also been genuinely courteous and helpful and their pilots have often come into the passenger areas to meet and greet the passengers, often joking and having fun and, especially, soothing the fear when stormy weather encroaches on the plans. They also happen to serve some downright excellent biscuits!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We booked a flight a year ago from the States to the UK. 2 months prior to the flight we upgraded the seats to comfort select. Upon the return flight, another gentleman somehow had one of the aisle seats that we had upgraded to. I had constantly checked on all the flights to see if somebody might have purchased a seat in our aisle. (There were 3 of us with 4 seats across). How is the airline able to change seats without telling you??? It obviously happened while we were in Europe.

When I asked the flight attendant about this, she told me that this happens quite regularly and to contact Delta which I did. So, airlines never give refunds, just credits and although I was able to get a $100 Amazon gift card, my upgrade was $200 and when I tried to call customer care at 3 different times, I was on hold for a good half hour each time. This was my first and my LAST trip with Delta. At least Southwest actually refunded my fee - Delta could take a few lessons from them. Piss poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I fly weekly for my job and had to book a trip via Delta due to final destination. I purchased an economy ticket with the cancellation insurance. My business plans changed a month before the trip and Delta refused to refund or change my flight because it was an economy ticket. They have the absolute worst customer service and apparently do not respect their lower and middle class passengers who cannot afford to pay an additional 50+ dollars per flight for business class. I WILL NEVER BOOK DELTA AGAIN!!! Southwest is so much better of an airline who appreciates ALL of their passengers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I just want to say I'm so disappointed with Delta. Never thought I would be confronted with this situation, I had called numerous time and given the same quote for main cabin airfare to HNL to LAX. Then I called this morning and the lady books the travels and says, “Let’s assign your seats now,” when she gets the option she states she is unable to assign the seat because she actually just noticed the ticket was for basic economy. I told her that it was not my fault, and that I should be getting the ticket she quoted me in the first place. By this point I'm on the phone for 45 minutes because she is trying to get a supervisor, I get on the phone with the supervisor and again I been on the phone with them forever and have to go back into my job. I called that same night and tell her my situation and she says, “Let me get a supervisor,” and she gets back on the phone saying what her supervisor told her.

I tell the representative, it looks very unprofessional that the supervisor decided to deliver the message with someone else. At this point she doesn't know what to say and finally gets me on the phone with Supervisor Shay (the rudest). I literally explained to her and she said, “I will not upgrade to main cabin because you have to pay the difference...” Is on the phone raising her voice at me. At this point I'm so frustrated, and tell her I do not want to speak to her because on how she is literally screaming at me, and she said, “Well not me or no one will do the upgrade and you will need to call back.” I literally regret ever booking a flight through Delta!!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I EVER EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I Booked a flight through Expedia and they changed my flight info without telling me. I booked my flight from Lincoln Ne to Augusta GA and the itinerary said from Lincoln Ne to Atlanta Ga to Augusta GA leaving at 0630 from Lincoln. I never got a confirmation email and I had to call Expedia. First, they never had me scheduled on a flight and I had to tell them my bank took out $402.35. The rude woman, who was very rude and confrontational from the beginning of the phone call and she finally found the flight information and she told me it had been sent to an email I no longer have. When I completed the flight information online I included the correct email.

When I received the flight schedule email while I was on the phone with her I told her this was the wrong schedule. It had me going from Lincoln Ne to Minneapolis to Atlanta to Augusta GA. This all was going to take over 12 hours. I told the lady this was the wrong flight and she argued with me. I told her I would have never booked a flight with that many stops and certainly would not have booked one to Minneapolis. I told her the flight schedule I booked was supposed to leave Lincoln at 0630 AM not 1100 AM and arrive in Augusta GA at 1030 PM. She argued with me that there was nothing she could do. I told her I wanted to be booked on the flight I had arranged and her attitude was, TOO BAD TOO SAD SUCKER. I keep saying I'll never book another flight from Delta ever but I keep getting sucked into it by the flight companies. DO NOT FLY DELTA, THEY SUCK!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was flying home from the east coast with a layover in ATL. From the getgo, the Delta staff was short and dismissive with me. My flight didn't board until the time it was originally supposed to take off. 40 mins late. While carrying my guitar on board the staff told me that I would have to check my guitar under the plane. I had to raise hell to get them to store it in the closet on the plane, even though I purchased comfort+ seats with "dedicated storage" that I have always been able to store my guitar in.

On the flight, the staff was very short with me, and other passengers. My girlfriend was very cold and asked for a blanket and it took about 40 minutes to get one, but not for the people in first class... While picking up my luggage after landing, a wheel had been broken off my suitcase, a brand new suitcase, and a quality one. I imagine it was dropped very hard to have done that. And Delta wonders why I put up such a fuss when they want me to check my guitar under the plane.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I recently traveled from Atlanta to Anchorage with my 14-year-old son. I purchased two 1st class seats (very expensive) but it’s a long flight. Flight attendants seemed irritated. None of the entertainments monitors worked. I asked if I could get a turkey sandwich for my son and they said they would get me one from the back but had to get my credit card out to purchase. Just seems petty after paying so much $11,000 for two seats. Basic common sense would be appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

No guarantee of seating if booked on Expedia. My 12-year-old daughter was flying with her cousins and grandmother and they put her 17 rows away and would not even consider moving her. Were less than nice about it. Way to go Delta - she is only 12, that is a lot of years left to fly on another airline.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I was in DL 1580 to Vegas on 9/2 at 9:37 AM from ATL. I needed to go to the restroom. The attendant, Adriana in a red uniform would not let me use the 1st class restroom and was extremely rude. I was on the 2nd row of Comfort, but had to trek to the back of the plane, where there was a long line. Delta's airline staff can learn to show basic courtesy.

I was in a seat that would not recline. So, I had to sit erect in a 4 hour flight, while the seat in front of me was reclined up to my face. When I mentioned this to the flight attendant, instead of offering any help, he said I need to just press hard. Obviously, that did not work and I got a severe headache by the end of the flight. Nobody ever bothered to serve a drink.

I had the flight attendant button on for the entire duration of the flight, but though multiple passed through, no attendant stopped. Finally, after 2 hours I had to stop a flight attendant and ask for a drink. They refused to give me a drink. She said that she would write me up - for what, to mask their own inefficiency? Because a passenger had to ask for a drink - which they should not have to do in the first place? Should I take that as a threat - is this what Delta attendants are trained to do? When they mess up, then they threaten passengers. So, I was without any kind of fluid for the 5 hours. I could not take my pills. Does Delta think that they can treat passengers whichever way they want? I have bad experiences with Delta in the past, but this one tops it all. By the end of the flight, I was dehydrated and sick. I could have had a medical incident in-flight. Is this what Delta calls traveling in comfort? I was in a Comfort Plus seat.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Booked two flights for my kids to come to Florida from Montana. The Hurricane came and another on the way so we canceled flights. Called to get refund and they refused said non refundable. When asked why they showed me the fine print on last page in bottom paragraph where no one will read non-refundable $1000 tickets not $79 tickets. O.K so we got the shaft so book using credit. Searched for new flights and found them on Delta website. Call kids they like flights go back to book $400 more than 3 minutes ago and it's 5 months in advance. DO NOT SEARCH UNTIL READY TO BOOK. THEY KNOW WHEN YOU SEARCH DATES AND SCAM PEOPLE RAISING PRICE.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Had to cancel my flight with United Airlines to Ft Myers due to hurricane, they allowed me to reschedule my flight to a later date. When I tried to reschedule return flight with Delta their policy states nonrefundable, nontransferable. Understandable under normal circumstances but due to a HURRICANE they will not allow me to reschedule my flight but they will allow me to forfeit my flight money and purchase a return flight ticket. That's some real good customer service, I'll remember that when booking another flight.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Delta fares are high on certain dates and destinations. I prefer to fly Delta but often times their fares are double than other lower cost airlines for the same flight.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I purchased an upgraded seat for $54.00 and when I called to confirm, the exit row aisle seat that I purchased, I was informed that all such seats were assigned to others. I requested a refund and I have not heard back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Their customer loyalty has gone down the toilet. First class flight two weeks ago, switched from a non-stop to a layover. Made my connection and they switched to another plane that had been in the hangar all day. It took the entire duration of the flight to cool down. No perks at all, I could have bought coach tickets and had the same experience flying.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I have no complaints. I have flown Delta many times and am satisfied. Although, I wish there was more leg room. When on one occasion the plane was late I was compensated with a room and food vouchers.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

The jet flight was great service! Seats were spacious and the staff was attentive. The smaller plane's uncomfortable. Seats were tight and no room, people had problems with storage of bags.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Trip planned to Miami this upcoming Friday, 9/15 through Travelocity. Due to the storm, my hotel cancelled last week. Delta will not refund me back my money until THEY cancel the trip. Willing to give me a credit BUT will have to pay an extra $200 when I book my next trip!!! This is ridiculous!!! Miami and most of Florida do not have power and looks like a war zone! Is this how Delta treats their customers and expects more business from them. Not a chance!!! They need to make exceptions for people traveling to Florida! Travelocity said that that this is not their policy but the airlines!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Airline connections can be almost impossible. There are far too many flight delays. Elderly should always be bordered first. Delta has too little leg space and carry on luggage space always a problem.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

First time I have flown Delta. Flew round trip non-stop Oregon to Michigan. Great service, I will use them again. I am 70 and needed a wheelchair for the first time. Everyone was great and even wanted to know if I needed to stop at a bathroom both going and coming back. I sat by the window both ways and even my seatmates and other passengers asked if I needed any assistance. I didn't but was impressed by everyone's kindness.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information