2.87/5

292 Air India Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Hello, respected sir/Madam. We booked flight London Heathrow to Mumbai and return. 4 April and return on 22 April. While going time our seat was in last row 51 ABCD all the seat was uncomfortable. Also tv and remote wasn't working, We did ask couple of times to staff. They said, "Sorry technical problem," and our luggage we stick fragile note still they smashed my new rice cooker. I can't believe, it is very poor service. While return going to London again they given same seat 51 ABCD. We told request her to, "We already tried we traveled from Omerga Town Maharashtra 12 hour by car. Please provide another seat." Staff said, "This flight is new Boeing 777." Again we suffered same thing. Same seat.

We can't eat and put our dinner plate on table because opposite seat also was broken. 3 hour flight was late but the flight was on ground since midnight supposed to be go 6:30 am. They left at 9;30 am without any reason. Service was very slow, we missed our connecting coach from Heathrow to Salisbury. Kids was very tired and I become helpless. We booked private taxi to Salisbury. They charge us £150;00. Baggage came very late with slow belt no 9 service. I traveled many times with Air India but this time we really very disappointed. We want to request claim our compensation. It's not fair what they done. I am looking forward to hear. With many regards **.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was appalled by the lack of cabin services on the international flight from Delhi to San Francisco: 1. None of the TVs worked in rows 30-32 across all seats in spite of repeated resets by the crew. Imagine that on a 16+ hour flight. 2. The remotes did not work and neither did the reading lights. So, I was unable to read as well. 3. I did not see the slightest smile on any of the crew members. They looked like forced labor. This kind of customer service is UNACCEPTABLE. Is this how you are representing the national airlines of India? Shame on them.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have booked flight return tickets from Newark to Mumbai, I was traveling with my wife and infant son. I had reserved bassinet seat and the seat besides, by calling the call center several times, but every time my seat reservations were erased, until I realized bassinet seats are no more available. You cannot rely on them on seat reservations, and customer service is always heavily queued, no wonder why!! Each call to customer service takes 45-60 mins including wait time. Do not travel with them if you have infant and seat reservation is critical for you.

Original review: April 8, 2019

While travelling from Chennai to Stockholm lost my check in luggage at sas Stockholm and the bag was not found. Have sent email to Air India after a wait of 21 days from the time of loss of bag. It’s more than 52 days now and no response from Air India for the compensation amount to be paid. When tried to contact Air India toll free number, the number is ringing and nobody is answering the call.

Original review: April 5, 2019

It's very tempting to take the Air India flight from NYC to Delhi since it's a direct flight and the timings are good. But once you take the flight, you will realize that the 'goodness' just ends with the timings. Rest of the experience is a nightmare. My flight had a bad seat (barely any cushion left), the video screen did not work, and the bathrooms were horrendous. For a 14 hour flight, how can an airline have non-working entertainment system? The bathroom's door sign was malfunctioning. They also ran out of toilet paper and asked me to use paper towels instead. I noticed a person sitting on the flight attendant seat and on inquiry, I found out that they had overbooked the flight and gave him an option to seat in the attendant seat. He had to take the offer since he was going on a wedding and couldn't afford to be late. The hostesses were snappy and curt. My advice is to stay away from this airline. I for one, will certainly do that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air India?

Original review: April 2, 2019

When trying booking international flight ticket for my parents from Austria, I got error after entering OTP of credit card! Amount (more than 100000 is deducted from my credit card and did not get any confirmation email from Air India. As there is no customer service phone number in Austria, I tried calling Indian phone number given on website for other locations. I tried making international call on both numbers (+91-22-25818515 and +91-44-66921455) for more than 2 hours and I could not get hold of any customer service representative! I could only hear recording "your call is important to us, all our customer service representatives are attending to other customers, kindly be online or call again later!" I don't know if ticket is booked or not. I will now try writing an email to customer service and will hope to get response.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Because of Pakistan incidents...our flight was re-routed through Mumbai where we were sitting inside the plane for around 4 hours...altogether we are in the plane for more than 22 hours. We understand the situation airlines are facing because of the circumstances. But what about the passengers. At least let them get down from the plane in Mumbai. Most of the passengers are elderly or children. One of the bathroom was not working. God give your management gang little bit of ”sudh budh”. At least they should be considered about the comfort of passengers too instead of just drawing hefty salaries. No wonder they are facing bankruptcy. Even nobody wants to buy out Air indian. After staying inside the plane for 22 hours I have ear problem - ETD. Thanks to you guys. Their customer service is horrible. It’s very difficult to get connection. Call center never works. We used to take Air India most of the time and we really enjoyed. But not anymore.

Original review: March 30, 2019

As frequently travelling through various airlines it was very difficult to select one best airlines. Air India has not only improvised with the services but they have made the strongest presence in my mind and my selection, Traveling from Air Asia Buying ticket of 17,000 INR. Was not even asked for water. But Having regular experience with AIR INDIA is mind blowing and has forced me to write a thank you note to entire team of AIR India... Starting from Supervisor Desk Shweta to Flight Crew (name unrecognized) all time available for any sort of support. Cheers to Air India. Keep these services to kill other airlines...

Original review: March 29, 2019

We scheduled a round trip flight between Chicago and New Delhi and were given estimated arrival and departure times. These times did not take into consideration that for weeks now, and weeks into the future the airline has not been able to fly over Pakistan because of the war. Air India knew this, but did not modify their ETA and ETD. Furthermore, they sent us a notice the day before our departure from Indian that the flight would be late, thus causing us to miss our connection and incur an addition $2000 in expenses! To add insult to injury, the flight service was terrible, the staff rude check in took 3 hours and the bathrooms were unspeakable. It took us 52 hours to get home! NEVER USE THIS AIRLINES.

Original review: March 27, 2019

On 26th March I was trying to book one ticket from Kolkata to Aizawl on 12 July 2019 but after payments ticket has not confirmed. Can anyone tell me, may I get back my money or ticket will be confirmed. Please tell me.

Original review: March 25, 2019

As per booking flight was Dreamliner and actual was standard one. It was very bad and I choose Air India due to Dreamliner as I am losing 2 full days from my vacation since the flight is in daytime. Now everything has been changed and very boring since there is no Screen as well.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have booked a Air India one-way ticket from New Delhi to Sydney for 22-03-2019. One can clearly see on the following Air India web link to check the baggage: http://www.airindia.in/Australia_Checked_Baggage_Allowances.htm. And it's clearly written that 40 kgs is allowed but Air India is listening and understanding at all. Worst experience ever. I have to wait for 1 hour on hold to talk to the customer care even. It’s Pathetic experience. Never go for Air India Airlines.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Flight no AI 775, time 8.45, I had to cancel one ticket out of 4 tickets, went and inquired from the respective specs from helpdesk, he assisted not to cancel the ticket as the refund amount was 200 or less... And the baggage counter person gave me 4 tickets and I had informed him the same and returned him one boarding tickets. When I boarded the flight there is no empty seat which ticket was not canceled, if don’t want to provide refund and also assist not to cancel why the seat was filled by another passenger? Please assist.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I flew with Air India on March 14, the flight was delayed and the hygiene of the plane was highly unsatisfactory. The seats were dirty and the window sills were dusty. Washrooms were extremely smelly and not pleasant at all. I have a flight scheduled next month but will surely not be traveling with Air India.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Wanted direct flights from NYC to Mumbai so chose Air India, another alternative was Continental which was $400 more expensive. As I sat I felt the frame of the seat, no cushion left. Seat reclines at its own will. For a 14 + hour flight, the entertainment system was abysmal. Out of the 10 seats on my row, 5 had some kind of an issue with the entertainment system. Being older people on these seats they did not complain and just sat without entertainment. Tried helping a couple but the armrest that holds the plug for earphones was loose and hence the plug was sliding inside the armrest. Just weird.

Had not seen this dilapidated airline seats and entertainment services in my frequent travels EVER. Service was good, FA's were helpful, food was fine. But seats were stained, no cushions left (on at least 8 out of the 10 on the way in and 7 out of 8 on the way out that I personally sat to check), the angle of the seats threw my young 40 yr old spinal cord and neck out of whack. Made an unscheduled stop for refueling in Sharjah. Bathrooms are of course bad.

Please DO NOT ever fly this airline, more Importantly, DONT LET YOUR PARENTS fly this airline. It's not worth the 400 bucks you will save. They as parents will be happy to meet you on landing and won't complain but for their health and back sake please change the airline. They have Indian crew on most international flights now so language issue won't happen. SEEK another airline...

Original review: March 12, 2019

I travelled through Air India on 4th March 2019 from Delhi to Chicago. My one bag is lost. It has over a week now, Air India has not responded. The phone numbers and email given to us to contact them do not work at all. It's really frustrating to have such bad customer services by Air India.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Direct flight from Delhi to Chicago that I paid a lot for my mother, got "diverted" to Vienna for 90 minutes, so now the flight is scheduled to arrive 5.5 hours late, thus missing her next connection. Upon further digging, I found that the same flight, with the same flight number and aircraft number, and same origin and destination, has been "diverted" everyday for at least 10 days now, and every time it stops for exactly 2 hours. What coincidence right? (Source: **). They charge their customers costs of direct flights and make the airplane stop elsewhere.

I wanted to make sure I didn't buy a wrong ticket, so I searched for the same flight DEL-ORD on a different day, for the same airplane model & flight number: Boeing 777 & AI127. On March 9, it said Non stop flight leaving at 2 am and arriving at 11:30 am - Total flight time 21 hours. On March 12, it said Non stop flight leaving at 2 am and arriving at 7:30 am - Total flight time 16 hours. I called the customer care, and after an hour, I basically got a vague answer that they had no clue, as this 5 hour time difference makes sense to no one. They were also not able to rebook the missed connection over the phone. In an age when On Time Performance frequency is 90% in major carriers, this route has a 27% frequency (Source **). The people who run the company should be ashamed that they actually take money home to feed their family from this sham. Air India is a pathetic joke that they call an airline.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I had a flight booking on Dec 22, 2018 from Brussels airport (BRU) to Delhi airport (DLI) with a layover at Copenhagen (CPH) airport. The flight AI158 (CPH-DEL) was delayed for more than 5 hrs and departed the next day i.e Dec 23, 2018. I requested for compensation and meal allowance more than 10 times already at call.del@airindia.in and traveldocs@airindia.in BUT THEY JUST KEEP ON SENDING ME AN ELECTRONICALLY GENERATED RESPONSE stating that they have forwarded my request. This is really disturbing. It has been more than 7 weeks now.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Complaint - I am extremely dissatisfied and disappointed customer. I cancelled my original flight of 10 Feb from Delhi - London. I spoke to customer services on 9 Feb between 5 - 7 pm and rebooked my same flight for 6 March same time. The agent confirmed the booking and advised that I can pay the money difference by 13 Feb. (Penalty £125 + fair difference £6). But when rang on 13 to make that payment I was told nothing was reserved and advised I had to pay double the amount. Disgraceful service. I attempted to contact and log complaints but that effort was wasteful people transferred calls around and finally hung up.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I traveled from Ahmedabad to Chicago and landed in Chicago (7th Feb 2019) from flight AI-127 that is Air India. I have lost my luggage and I am quite sure most of the travelers have lost their luggage too. It is more than 48 hours and Air India has not been able to track the luggage which sound very weird. I have tried reaching Air India at least 3 to 4 time on call with and have emailed them regarding the issue. However, did not receive proper response. After waiting for hours on call they still did not have any information about the luggage. No one has responded yet. Every time I have tried calling they have issues connecting to baggage department.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I had complain on 30th January about Mrs Arti ** of NTB staff member for her rude behavior and humiliating me in front of her staff. I have not heard any action taken against her as there was not reply on my email from Air India response team. Please note that I will be writing it to the head of depart in Delhi addressing this issue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This is the worst International airline I have taken ever. I flew with them the second time. My experience didn't change at all this time as well. The flight from SFO to Delhi departed 40 minutes past the scheduled time, though everything incl. boarding was done on time. When it was 30 minutes past the scheduled departure time, the captain informed us of the delay due to some commercial reasons. I wondered what stopped him from informing us of this earlier. They have the worst in-flight service compared to any other international airline. Most of the LCD screens are malfunctioned. Some didn't work at all. The selection of movies, shows etc. were so limited and mostly outdated. The screen resolution would remind of 90s experience.

There is no organization shown by the in-flight crew. Some snippets from the plane - People would stand by their seat for an hour or so every few hours; couple guys would stand in the pathway, chatting for 30-40 minutes. Not to mention that it created so much inconvenience for fellow passengers to go to restrooms; group of 3-4 guys would stand by the kitchen and restrooms for couple hours and chat casually. Surprisingly, I saw couple crew members joining them as well; Some people in their seat would never stop chatting, though it was late night. The entire thing felt like a typical Indian fish market.

I had a connecting flight with Air India to Chennai. Since the SFO flight was running late, I inquired with the crew members about the connecting flight status. Some said it won't wait for us and some said it would. After we landed in Delhi an hour past the scheduled time, I ran towards the connecting flight gate. The flight was still there but I wasn't allowed to board it. I had 3 other folks who were going to Chennai. We were put in another flight that left 3.5 hours later. Of course, the drama didn't end yet. This flight was scheduled to leave at 7.55 pm IST. It was 8.15 pm and there was no announcement on the status. There were two AI staff members at the counters. After I inquired about the status, they made an announcement for the ongoing delay.

We boarded the flight 45 minutes past the scheduled time. While we were getting off the plane at Chennai, one of crew members falsely accused a passenger of keeping his carry-on bag in the restricted overhead compartment. Most of us saw a crew member putting it there since we ran out of space. So unprofessional. My return flight from Delhi to SFO saw another hiccup. This time they delayed the flight because 7 passengers couldn't come on time due to a delay in arrival from Mumbai AI flight. Remember how I missed the domestic flight earlier and I was told that 300 passengers couldn't wait so they had to leave without us. But they could delay the international flight for a delayed domestic flight. Such theatrics could only be seen with them. This is the first in my experience.

They let down us again with horrible food (no seasoning and bland). Refreshments were barely edible. I would say it was the worst food offered on an international plane. The fish market was back in action. The in-flight entertainment deserved black and white movie award. I am no Aviation Industry expert. But I can promise one thing- Give me the operations job for 6 months and I will make sure that this airline meets the basic international norms. Indian Govt. and airline industry should take a serious note of this and possibly stop their operations until it's improved.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have traveled in Air India AI634 from Bhopal to Mumbai. The food which was served comprises of cockroach inside it. When I complained to the crew supervisor, she said, "It happen daily sir and I cannot do anything. You are free to post anywhere." So my fellow passenger has given it to Dainik Bhaskar in Bhopal, I need a call back to discuss in details. Flight commander: - Mrs. Manju **. Flight supervisor: - Mrs. **. Food partner Cheffair (Pathetic you guys are. Shame on you). Copy with my original complain & signature I have given it to Mr. **. I am a pure vegetarian and this goes against my values and Brahman culture.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

So, my husband and I were traveling from Kolkata to Bangalore. We were newlyweds because of which we did have extra luggage. The lady sitting at the counter told us that we have extra baggage. We asked her what could be done and whether she could consider a few kgs as we had a prior experience with Spicejet where they did not consider our extra 3 kgs. She started talking very rudely and started comparing Spicejet and Air India services. Then she excused 1 kg and said we will have to pay for the remaining 8 kgs which we did.

However, we had forgotten to tell her that one of the baggage was fragile. While the suitcase was moving down the conveyer belt I told her that and even one of the attendant asked her to call it back. She sat there doing absolutely nothing and started blaming me for not informing beforehand. I told her I made a mistake but she could have called it back. She didn't help.

Plus, for another fragile bag we had they started keeping it around very harshly even after mentioning that it is fragile. They said that the 'Fragile' sticker hadn't been put yet, as if the contents would magically become fragile only after the sticker was put. When I pointed out that she is being very rude and inconsiderate, she told me I cannot talk to her like that. I have travelled to many places in this country, never have I experienced a rude flight personnel. Also, this my first Air India experience and now I know why this airline is not favoured by the general public.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was traveling from UK to Goa on AI130 and AI83 on 31.1.19. UK to Mumbai flight journey was great. But after doing my check in for Mumbai to Goa I was having morning sickness as I'm pregnant so was in the toilet. I reached near the gate when there was 12 minutes for the flight to leave. But the staff didn't allow me to board the flight saying that they have already closed the gate and all. I tried to explain to them my situation but they were not helpful at all. I don't understand how could they stop me from boarding whereas I had already done my check in and there was no announcement.

I am a frequent flier for Air India within 2017 to 2018. I have done 3 journey same route with Air India. I always choose AI and convince my family and friends to choose AI. But this time what happened was very worst experience. Such a bad experience with AI. I'm sure I'll never ever choose this flight again. AI loses their good customers because of the attitude of their staff at Mumbai airport.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I had confirmed tickets from Chandigarh Pune and back for 27 Feb and 06 March... I have suddenly been informed that flights will now be on 28th and 7th only. How can the airline play around with confirmed tickets and requirement of customers in this manner. Booking ref is...**. The customer care is not able to help and not letting me speak to any senior level. Expecting a helpful response from airline.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was traveling to Delhi from Kolkata on AI21 in 27 Jan. The staff told us to check in from counter G at Kolkata airport as it is a international flight. To my horror I saw a single queue of around 150 people all waiting for check-in. Only one staff was Manning the counter. It took 1 h just to check in. On top the staff was rude and had no sympathy for passengers who were in queue with old parents or young children. Gov't is pushing gov't players to use AI but it's a waste. They should sell it off. For personal travels, train travel is better than Air India.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Firstly they didnt inform about the delay in flight. Flight which was suppose to take off at 1.35 pm took off at 5.50 pm. No compensation whatsoever. On top of that no meals served whereas as per time schedule of flight they are suppose to give free meals. In name of meal just gave biscuit and water. Do they even understand the inconvenience faced by passenger as some just travel for important meeting. Passengers waited for 5 hours to board the flight and then there was a further delay due to some technical problem. Better they would have canceled the flight and returned money. Instead of causing so much trouble. In fact 1 star is also too much. I feel for such a poor services. Budget airlines are any day better.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I would say I made a mistake by booking flight tickets with Air India, I called them to reserve seat and 3 times and 3 hours on phone, two people told me that they will call me back to collect credit card. Never called. Really really poor service. I would say go with any other airlines. I never had this kind of poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

AI should be ashamed of itself for using old planes with broken seats on long haul flights from Hyderabad to Chicago. When we asked flight attendant they expressed sympathy but did nothing. Few other observations... 1. Hyderabad check in counters are minimally staffed. 2. Check in crew take forever to process passengers. We saw two ladies miss their flights due to poor handling of paid passengers at the airport. 3. There is lot of commotion and confusion at the kiosks. They could not handle three flights at once due to minimum number of counters. 4. Staff are rude and they let their staff and their relatives to cut lines while paid passengers are patiently waiting. When asked they became belligerent. 5. Monitors IFE don't work in the main cabin. You will be lucky to find a comfortable seat. Main cabin seats are hard and difficult to sit for more than an hour.

Air India Company Information