3.15/5

331 Air India Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

I regret to inform that while coming from Delhi to Kolkata in Air India flight- AI-764, my luggage has been opened during carriage by someone and I have lost my stuff amounting to Rs. 7250/-. I had given 3 bags for Check-in, weighing 45kgs (also confirmed by Kolkata baggage security team with Delhi Airport authorities). When I collected my luggage from "Belt No. 6" in Kolkata, the chain of my luggage was open, despite of a lock. When I weighed it again with the Security officers of Air India - it weighed - 43.5 kg.

After checking I realised that 1 sweater, 1 Branded Perfume and 1 box of chocolates were missing - all amounted to Rs. 7250/- as I purchased from them Zurich, in Euros. Also, I regret to inform that we did not receive any satisfying response from the Security officers - headed by Mr. **, who firstly were not ready to believe that the luggage has been pilfered - giving excuses that the Weighing machine might give wrong results. Later when I found about the missing stuff in front of the whole team - they said that despite of the value of stuff lost - maximum they can refund me is Rs. 450 per kg lost, and they suggested me to go to any level for the complain and to not fly with Air India again and this is all they can do. When I asked them to make me meet their manager who will do the investigation, they said there is no one who I can talk to. This is highly disappointing and unprofessional from their end.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Worst experience with Air India. Never in my life again going to travel in Air India. I had flight from IAD to Hyderabad but they suddenly cancelled flight and informed just a day before and gave me other flight which was scheduled after 3 days of my actual travel date and with 14 hrs layover due to which I had to change all my travel plans and they don't even be accountable for that. And their customer care I guess don't even exist. I waited for 3 hrs in phone to speak with customer care but still I did not get chance to speak. Worst airlines.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I canceled flights to USA within 24 hours due to passenger’s medical issue. As per Air India Policy, they are supposed to give a full refund if the cancellation is in 24 hours for USA flights. I paid 1225$ and they refunded me 939$. I emailed them multiple times but haven’t received any response. Please help me get the full refund. My booking reference is **.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have been using Air India for the past 30 years. At times service good and service bad. Never seen any consistency. Maybe be they don't have any protocol or guideline to follow. Glad I have money I can fly business. But that to something to talk about. This time coming back from Delhi to Chicago I felt like I did not belong to any class. Delhi to Zurich was okay but as soon as the new crew members came on board in Zurich things changed. 3 hours seating on the plane. Never anyone asked for a water or any drink. When I went to ask for a glass of water, I was embarrassed, crew members were eating - all 6 of them. (Mind you they just came on board). I was told to go back 2 my seat. Water never arrived. Until service started. Smile was hard to find. You have to fold your own blanket, pick up your own sandals. Boy oh boy I could not wait to get off this flight. Never again Air India. Run by the government and used and abused by the government.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Hi, I am Siva from the USA. My brother has a flight back to the USA (Chicago) from Vijayawada on July 8th. Because of flight's prepone schedule in Delhi (Delhi to Chicago), he will miss the flight in Delhi. We have been calling to the customer service at 8602331407/8002237776 several times each day and waiting for long hours to talk to the customer service representative, but no luck. "YOUR CALL IS IMPORTANT" - really?? So irresponsible!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air India?

Original review: July 6, 2019

I am not sure how they are still in business. Everything about them smells bad. I had booked a business class flight from Newark, New Jersey airport to New Delhi, India. Here is the issue:

- They cancelled the flight and booked next day.
- I have been trying to call their US Support Number 800-223-7776. I called three times and decided to hang up after an hour each time. I don't believe there is anyone on the other side. The repeated message - "Your call is important to us" starts to sound most horrible thing I have ever heard.
- I go to web checking and I get message "your flight can't be found." What nonsense?

- I need to enter my frequent flier information and choose meal preference, the website drop down box for airline name and meal list is empty. Unbelievable!!

Is there anything that ever works with this airline. They are truly a disgrace to otherwise a great nation. I am going to send this review to Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, after posting this review. Fixing the nation means also fixing its national airline as a top priority. If I were him (PM), I will fire the whole top brass or privatize this and not let this disgrace tarnish the image of otherwise a great country.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I had booked tickets from Washington to Cochin in Air India for June 2nd. They changed the time of departure several times and doesn’t care to inform us. On the day before the journey we came to know they cancelled the flight for June 2nd. And my travel date was changed to June 3rd. Me and my 8yr old son was traveling under an uncertain timings by Air India. On June 3rd the flight was late by 2 hrs. We spend almost 5 hrs waiting for the flight and we missed our connection flight to Cochin.

We reached Delhi airport and waited for another 5hrs for the next available connection flight (after the long 16 hr flight). We booked this flight in the belief that luggage will be through till our destination airport (Cochin) but had to collect the luggage at Delhi and again check in. Was such a horrible journey with lots of tensions and uncertainty. Will never recommend or book in Air India flight.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been trying for customer care since last two days. And every time no matter what time I call, it’s always more than 30 mins waiting. There are soo many people unemployed, please hire some more. Fed up of listening, "Your call is important."

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have never seen a chaotic customer service in my flying experience as I experienced at BOM. AI customer service were callous, insensitive and outright unprofessional. I waited more than three hours to have a ticket reissued for a missed flight which should not have taken more than finite. There were more than four representative doing favors to those who they knew or connected with and treated other stranded passengers for flights to Lucknow, Varanasi and Patna. At times at appears that they did not know what they were doing. When asked about a supervisor, no one provided the names or cared to give their own names. I never felt so helpless as I did at the AI customer service. They even did not know what Star Alliance affiliation means. Shame on AI customer service at Mumbai Airport.

Original review: July 1, 2019

My mother has travelled through Air India from Minneapolis to Hyderabad on June 26th. We had 2 check-in luggage which were delayed which they told they didn't have time to send to Hyderabad on time. They said they will do home delivery on June 30th. They sent 1 baggage at night 11pm with a FOSSIL watch missing which is worth 100$. After multiple calls and rude customer service from the stupidest airlines sent the second baggage on July 1st is almost empty. I don't know what to say. Steal, rob or fraud airlines that we lost clothes, perfumes, chocolates and everything.

This is a ** and Fraud airline company who didn't deliver our luggage immediately but have stolen all the items and their baggage claim is the worst of all. I don't trust this airlines and shame to travel to India using this Airlines. Please anyone don't ever book tickets through this airlines for short duration. I mainly booked this flight as it was short duration where they charged me $1500 for the ticket and have 500$ of lost baggage. Shame on you Air India. Hope others will see this review and stop booking flight using this.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Horrible flight experience on Executive class flight from DEL to JFK, NY. My Seats never worked!!! DEL to VIE - seats won't recline and I was given a hard box as a footrest (Lol) for 10 hr flight and a promise that these will be fixed at Vienna during fuel refill on a nonstop flight. AI changed my 10K Business class seats to 9C, Not much of help as the seat will remain flat and never come to upright position except by manual help of two strong male flight attendants. The entertainment system is 2 decades old and worked after 20 minutes of resets. Asked for 2nd single malt drink and they said they ran it out pick something else. (Really?) Attendants tried to help but I travelled 20 hours with non-functional seats. I requested to give me at least economy empty seat as I was very tired. Really disappointed by Quality standards maintained by Air India. Lodged complaint on Air India portal and there has been no response for 20 days.

Original review: June 22, 2019

CHICAGO-DELHI : I had booked a flight through their website on Dec 26, 2018, 8:49 PM (Central Time). I canceled the reservation at Dec 27, 2018, 8:12 PM, which is within 24 hours of the booking confirmation. I only received part refund, with 350 USD missing. I have tried tens of times to reach their customer service number 1800-223-7776, but I am left on hold by the automated system with "Your wait is 10 minutes" without anybody picking up for well over an hour each time I tried. So far I have not been able to reach them. I even wrote an email to them on the email id that they provide on their website but with no response.

Original review: June 19, 2019

If there was an option to give zero stars I would have given that. Below are my grievances caused due to their service, when I had booked 5 tickets (AI101 & AI102) from New Delhi to New York for my husband's and my parents and my grandmom:

1. Not updated website & lack of proper communication to customers: First of all, I booked these tickets since this was the shortest duration flight that was available on the day. After booking, two days before the flight, they sent an email stating that the flight will be rerouted via VIE (no other info was provided). I understand this change in route was unavoidable, but the communication to the customer was unclear and insufficient. I had to check separately how this would impact the flight duration & arrival time. (No info provided on their website!!) This increased the flight duration by 5 hours, and I had to rebook their connection flight in addition to booking hotel accommodation (additional $1000 spent in the process).

2. Unreliable service and not providing service what you paid for: I had paid extra for each seat so that everyone could get a comfortable seat ($35-50/seat). I wanted my grandmother to feel comfortable and also considering this is a long flight, wanted to seat all of them together so that they could talk, etc. The airline seated all five of them separately (none of them got the seat I had paid for), in spite of having paid extra money!!! They did not refund the money either.

3. Unresponsive customer service: In order to ask for refunds for the seats, I stayed on their call twice for at least 35 minutes for each call and there was no response.

I am very disappointed by their service. Would never use them for any international travel and will never recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

Please do not EVER book tickets with this horrible airline. Their customer service and every-thing, rescheduling flights/flight cancellations and EVERYTHING needs to be revamped. NO actually I lie, they to just stop being an airline. There are better airline companies out there. Air India you suck, you guys are so bad it's not even funny. I can be the CEO and still do better than the current guy that's running this place.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have booked 4 tickets on 28 May 19 from Ahmedabad to Delhi of 05 Jun 19 under LTC quota with Web Reference: ** and Booking reference no (PNR): ** (AI) (attached soft copy of tickets) with TOTAL TICKET AMOUNT: INR 48,144.00. I have cancelled two tickets out of four. I have cancelled the ticket through customer care phone number as they have informed me that there will be nil cancelation charge for tickets under LTC quota and my cancellation reference number is ** on 02 Jun 19.

So, I request you to please take necessary action to refund the full amount of two tickets as informed by your customer service provider i.e INR 24,072.00 in my account. I have mailed the details many time to E-commerce of Air India but they didn't respond till now. Customer care call center putting the calls on hold for 30-30 minutes, then also didn't respond well. Even they are not listening to me properly, only saying one sentence that 'we can't do anything in case of booking online, you should contact E-commerce'. E-commerce number is always busy. Even if they receive they put my call on hold and then disconnect.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Due to Air India flight from Amritsar to Delhi delayed. I missed my connecting flight of Air India from Delhi to London and also from London to Toronto. Nobody helped me and they simply said I have to buy a new ticket for connecting flights. I spent 1500$ on those tickets, now because of Air India I missed my flights. They really don’t care about their customer and I have to spend additional 1800$ for my new tickets. Unprofessional Staff!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Air India flight was supposed to take off at 11 pm IST on 15/06/19 but let us cook in the flight for some 3 hours while mending a technical fault in the aircraft. Then at 2 am the aircraft becomes grounded & we are requested to deplane to board another aircraft. Further we are subjected to a security check a second time which also became a harassment as there was hardly any staff to speed up the unnecessary process. The small children had become very fussy by 3 am. Then we boarded the next flight running to the next opposite gate so that flight could now leave in a orderly fashion. But after 15 minutes an announcement was made that the pilots had to deplane because of some regulations. With no further explanations about the current situation, there’s an announcement "Please open gate l2."

At 5 am with much confusion people started deplaning the aircraft a second time only to surround the two ground staff for some kind of explanation. It was really shameful to explain to the foreigners who didn’t understand Hindi that it's okay for the National Carrier Of India to behave in such fashion. But my biggest challenge of the night was dealing with my own 3 year old who was so excited, didn’t sleep until 4am in the morning & was constantly asking ‘when’s the plane gonna fly, when do we get on our cruise??’

Original review: June 13, 2019

I have booked tickets between Kannur-Delhi-Kannur for July 31 and August 7. Today, 13th June 2019, I received 3 emails from Air India, stating some reschedule of the flights. The change was not clear and it seems they have some changes in my meal plans as well. So I wanted to check the status of my booking using their website - manage my booking option. When I tried it, and entered my booking confirmation number and last name in order to retrieve the booking, it was showing "unable to load the reference", despite providing the correct details. So, as the next option, I tried to call their customer care using my mobile from Dubai. On the first instance, I have been put on hold by their IVR machine for about more than 30 minutes, and my charge got finished and the call got disconnected. Being an international call put on hold for this long, the cost of this call was approximately 1,350 INR.

I have immediately recharged my mobile with sufficient balance and tried again to contact them, this time, right now, I am in the 58th minute of the call, no attendance so far. I am still kept on hold. Now it is 9:01PM in UAE. This call costed me so far approximately AED 145 (2682 Indian Rupees). Meaning, on my ticket, I have spent approximately 4,000 rupees so far, but for nothing useful. The system is so horrible that, the communication is not clear, customer need to check the website. Website doesn't work properly, that's why I am in the process of calling the further horrible customer service call center, one of the worst services I have came across so far in the airline industry. It is not at all acceptable to any customer to wait for more than 1 hour and 3 minutes as of now, unattended and kept on hold. If there is anyone responsible in the organisation, I would appreciate to receive a feedback on this issue.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Me and my husband flew AI 0142 on 8/6/19 CDG-DEL-BOM to begin with;

1. The call buttons, the screens on the row 34G& 34H were Inoperative.
2. When contacted the crew on ground in Paris, they said they will reboot the system and it will take 15mins.
After 20mins we were still on ground and I spoke to the Purser who showed me the Main Screen that had crosses which meant the systems on row 34G& 34H won’t work for the rest of the flight!
3. My seat had no headsets, no pillow.
4. The immigration form was distributed to just half of the cabin.

5. The cabin was rarely secured during the flight or before landing!

After feeling anxiety and being helpless I requested the crew to change our seats and they said the flight was full, we noticed 3 seats on the Last row vacant but the crew refused to accommodate us as they were for the crew to rest. Although we said we will give them the seats when they wish to rest after service! As I understand we as passengers were sold INOP seats, we were lied to that the systems will work and once in Air were told that nothing can be done! It was one of the most unpleasant experiences due to the Airline that is degrading rapidly. The crew also completely lacked Hospitality!! I prefer ending my comments like the crew did all the time with some swachh bharat nonsense that I didn’t see onboard and a Jai Hind.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I called them to modify my booking. The number they have provided doesn't work first of all and finally when I got their number it was only to make me hold on call. They kept me on hold for more than 1 hour which is ridiculous. Finally someone answered to tell me that I'll get back a call within 5 min which never happened.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I live in Melbourne, Australia. On May 16th I travelled from Melbourne to Hyderabad which had a transit time of 14 hours at New Delhi Airport. They asked to recheck in at Delhi Airport. When I was transferring from International terminal to domestic terminal they didn't even allow me to enter the airport stating that my flight has a long time to go and, "You need to wait". I was asked to wait outside the airport where there was no proper seating facility and waiting area available. When I was trying to contact Air India office they were not ready to listen and they were very rude and arrogant. I’ve been living abroad for the past 6 years and travelled with Malaysian, Singapore, Thai, Cathay Pacific and Sri Lankan airlines and never faced this kind of a problem. I was so unhappy with the customer service they have provided to me and finally when I demanded that I’ll lodge a complaint against the airlines they finally allowed me inside the airport.

I’ve my return flight on July 9th and I’ve the same 14 hours of transit time. I’m trying to contact the customer service helpline, Delhi airport office, Hyderabad airport office to enquire about the hotel booking or lounge booking but no one is picking up the phone and it's keeping on hold line for more than 40 minutes. This is not the way you guys treat a customer. This is the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had in any airlines. Definitely I’m not flying with Air India again and will recommend to all my colleagues and friends not to fly with Air India.

Original review: June 3, 2019

This is going to be my first time flying with this airline. I booked my flight several months ago from NY to Delhi. I'm flying tomorrow and just got an email stating they moved my flight a day later. What the **! They already moved my flight time an hour later couple of day ago. I need to confirm my seat but they won't answer and it's been 20 mins. I'm really frustrated and skeptical about flying with this horrible ** airline. They have no respect for people's time. ** service. If I wasn't flying tomorrow, I would just cancel my flight with them. ** airline. They should be banned. **.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I travelled from London - Bombay - Chennai after Air Canada flight from Montreal. I went to Bombay to check for my bags and there wasn’t any. I asked the baggage officials on Bombay and they asked me to file a complaint at Chennai as that is my destination. I went and complained at the Chennai Airport and signed a property irregularity report. It’s been 3 days now, no one is picking up the call in both Bombay and Chennai.

I have sent so many mails but no one seems to reply. They replied only twice, but Chennai blames Bombay and Bombay blames the people from Chennai. I even sent them the picture of my bag and boarding pass. I had a flight change in London due to delay and I even notified them that due to that the tag might be misplaced. No one even seemed to listen. My entire vacation is ruined now and no one even attends the call or replied to speak about compensation. Very poor customer service from Air India and I’ve had enough and never taking the AI flight ever again.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Worst experience ever, I has 2kgs extra and there was another family ready to take my entire luggage but these people didn't allow the flight from Chennai to Delhi is Boeing and was next to empty and they still rather than cooperating charged me for 5kgs. It was a 9:05 pm flight from Chennai.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We are 5 senior citizens (1 heart, 3 diabetic, 1 arthritis patient) aged 63-83 years were travelling from Pune to Kathmandu by flights AI 852 and AI 215 on 25th May 2019. We were given boarding passes for both the flights at Pune airport. Meaning that we had confirmed seats in Delhi Kathmandu flight. However at Delhi airport just before boarding the plane we were stopped at the gate and off loaded for technical reasons. Exact reason was not told.

The flight however left in time leaving us behind. Which means that there was not technical reason. We were told that we will be accommodated Nepal airlines flight leaving in the evening. We agreed for that. We were given coffee/lunch at airport and told that we are shifted to next day morning AI flight. We requested Boarding manager of AI Mr Navin ** to give same day flight, otherwise our tour schedule will get disturbed but he flatly refused. We had to cancel hotel bookings costing us Rs 25000/-.

We requested change in return journey travel which was agreed in beginning but refused later. It took almost six hours at airport to get our luggage containing medicines and essential items. We had to wait at Delhi airport for six hours in inconvenient situation. No proper place to rest. We started from home in Pune at 5.00 am and it was 7 pm (ie 14 hrs) when we reached hotel given by AI. Heart patient was feeling uneasy, missed medicine schedule. All of us were so tired and exhausted. Being senior citizens no consideration was given by AI staff. We had to cut short our tour by one day. At the end we came to know that this was due to overbooking of AI 215 flight. For which AI staff is responsible Ai should compensate for the inconvenience and financial loss caused to us. AI must pay Rs 50000/- for the damage caused to us. Other wise the matter will be taken to consumer affairs court. V.C. **.

Original review: June 2, 2019

On reaching Kozhikode on 16/4/19 by AI581 received my luggage badly damaged. Your staff accepted their fault and prepared PROPERTY IRREGULARITY REPORT with assurance of forwarding my case to concerned authorities for suitable compensation but even after a lapse of 47 days no response received from Air India. I also sent mail to Kozhikode authorities but no avail. Pls look into it and provide suitable compensation. Waiting for your reply.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Our flight got delayed by one day. There was no proper information given. We were supposed to leave on 31st May morning. It got delayed to 1 June the next day. Till 31st May afternoon, we had to wait for the Air India staff to come. The customer service phone number is a waste. We have to wait a minimum of one hour, and then also no proper response is given. Our tickets automatically got cancelled, since there was no show on 31st according to the computer system. There was no proper management done on this issue. Also, even when it was their fault, we had to wait for almost an hour, before they resolved the issue. Very disappointed and dissatisfied.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Rude behaviour of manager at the boarding area. This agent who is supposed to be a manager. Her name is it Lidya and her behaviour was awful. I am a star Gold member and her response to a question was rude and sarcastic. Such people should not be given such role.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I have canceled my International booking ticket from Hyderabad to Denmark round trip with PNR NO.Z0L6H(AI), on 29/04/2019. But until now the amount was not refunded to my account through which I have booked the ticket. Today when I spoke to the Customer care the person is telling the amount was refunded on 22/05/2019, hence I request you to kindly refund the amount as it is very high time. I have checked with my bank also there was no refunded amount in my account. It is very very time taking process and at the end of the day I hadn't get the refund. I request to solve the complaint on emergency basis and I am very much dissatisfied with the services.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I was having a connecting flight from Mumbai to San Francisco. Flight was expected to depart on April 29th, 10AM. I got a mail at 4 AM in morning regarding flight cancellation which was 6 hr before flight. I called Air India at 6:45 AM and was notified that flight was not cancelled. It was delayed. After an hour they called me back saying it was cancelled and I end up booking Vistara flight for 20000Rs from Mumbai to Delhi. Well I tried to reach Air India at least 5-6 times over phone and they asked me to write a feedback form. I tried to fill feedback form twice but there has been absolutely no action either on form or via phone. I have to say this is my worst experience yet and I am not flying ever with Air India.

Air India Company Information