3.7/5 (577 ratings)

About Air India

Air India Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air India?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air India?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

My name is Bhaskar and I am 65 years old, I am trying to reschedule my return date. But I was not able to do it for almost 2 days spending 8 hours waiting to get the ticketing team to be connected. As soon as someone connects, they say, they will transfer to the ticketing department OR they will call back. But after the transfer no one responded, we had to wait for a long time without no response and drop the call for eating lunch, other work. (This is repeated more than 8-9 times and each time spending around 1-2 hours)

The number we called is 18886341407 as per your website for USA contact. And after several attempts and hold time, we finally got someone from ticketing and he verified everything and confirmed that the ticket can be rescheduled with no penalties and change fee. And the minute he is about to change and confirm, the phone call took us to provide feedback!! (Really frustrating). And again I called back and right now I have been on hold for the past 1 hour. All we are trying to do is change the return flight schedule. Every time, I think this is the lowest, Airindia surprises with the new lowest levels. Worst airline customer care ever!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Very poor services, delayed flight no sms or mail to intimate the delay, very poor on board services. Services have deteriorated compared to my experience in Dreamliner flight in 2019. No onboard entertainment available in spite of TV monitor and headset. No blankets made available, if asked for they provide used ones, that too during this pandemic season. Food on board is pathetic without serving any juice or tea.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Never ever book a ticket with Air India. It is the worst airline and equally deplorable customer service. They will never refund your ticket which had to be cancelled because of the airline's mistake. You will lose money. Such a nightmare, trying to call customer service on this on many occasions, just disconnecting your calls or put on hold and then some automated message. Believe the customer care people have been told to phone off the customers or somehow end their calls.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

No wonder no body wants to invest or buy Air India, They are total scammers and swindlers, looted all booking money for cancellation due to COVID. They were to refund several millions but never bothered to refund flight cancellations money when they cancelled flights. They should be sued by all impacted travelers by Air India, they are never reliable and to be trusted. Folks do not travel by this airlines. They are swindlers and they never directly respond to passenger queries. They hide behind sub contracting companies and these sub-contracting companies are even more unreliable and worthless scums.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Please Don't ever use this company!! I Purchased 4 airline tickets from Air India to travel to India on 11/15/2020. Due to the Covid and travel restrictions I cancelled the reservation September 2020. The company told me, yes we will return your money but we will reduce 500 dollars for each ticket for cancellation fees. We are in 08/04/21 and I haven't received any refund. Every time I call to ask for the status of my refund they just hang up the phone. They are very rude and the customer service is horrible!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

These are the biggest scums of the earth. I think deceit is a policy that they follow. Government of India is trying to sell them and no one is buying this junk - And for a reason. I have been trying to reschedule a flight and after being 2 hours on phone and being bounced around for 3-4 times, no one does the rescheduling! Either system upgrade, or I am not authorized or, someone else can help you! I mean how these people are even allowed to operate! They should be barred from entering into the US and other places.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Due to flight has cancelled they changed only connecting flight. (My travel date is Sep 04th, from Hyderabad to Delhi it is Sep 4th and Delhi to destination they changed it to oct 3rd). From past 3 days I'm trying to call them to change my flight dates. Every time when it connect they will say they will connect to their respective team and each call waiting time goes more than 1 hour and gets disconnect automatically. In a day I'm making more than 5 calls. Still the issue hasn't been resolved. I have never experienced this kind of worst response from any other airlines.

Original review: July 29, 2021

It is a nightmare dealing with this airlines. I am writing this review while waiting in customer care call from past 1 hr. 20 mins. This is 9th call today. You can imagine how my day and night has been going on from yesterday. If your case is complex like changing flight dates or booking minor child tickets etc, most of the CC employees will keep you in wait then disconnect the call suddenly. It is their intention that over the period of two days trying to get things done, you will fed up and give up.

My case, we wanted to reschedule the dates of dep and arr, after 4 calls (1hr. 20 each approximately), we were asked to pay X amount. When we tried to pay, their payment processor was down. Funds were deducted from our all 4 credit cards multiple times (because we though problem in our credit cards). After 4 hours, I tried again, payment (for rescheduling) is successful then itinerary is not updated. So we are in 9th call today trying to reach.

Typically they take your call within a minute and ask all sorts of information. You will think they totally understand your case also you will think it is easy for them to fix it quickly. But NO. They will send you to another department. That is where you spend most of time biting your nails. Finally after 1 hour you will hear a calm voice to which you have to explain all the case, eventually your PNR number, ticket number will be by hearted by you. And you will remember that for so many days. They say they will fix the ticket and ask to wait few minute. Again music..and music and music,,.. you will start panicking.. You will shout her/his name loudly.. but still music... you will start doing some house chores meanwhile and probably watch a movie. Suddenly the call disconnects. Blood rushes into your face. You will shout helplessly.. Your family members will look at you.. You will feel guilty. And this goes in a loop, just like that time loop movie.

Original review: July 7, 2021

All travellers be warned. Air India is a beggar airline. They will take your money and you will never see it again, even if you do your due diligence and cancel within 24 hours, even if you call them every other day for 2 month, wait on hold for hours, write 20 emails and create 5 escalated cases with their substandard, rude and good for nothing customer support agents.

All of the above happened to me. I booked a business class ticket and tried to cancel online but the system was down so I called to cancel within 24 hours. But the customer support agent casually said, and I quote "please call back later. The system is undergoing maintenance and I cannot cancel at this time". That was my first red flag. What kind of an agent cannot cancel even it the user cannot cancel? So I left an email asking them to cancel within 24 hours. I called several times after that and I got the same response:

1. I'd have to pay the $200 cancellation charge because the 24 hours has passed. Otherwise, they said it's wise to hold off on cancelling until my escalated case would be reviewed by someone at a higher level (classic Indian bureaucracy).
2. That the customer agents do not have access to emails because they just don't and only the backend team can see my emails (this was new. I haven't heard of any other airline that keeps its phone staff and email staff separate).

3. That I'd get a response within 24 to 48 hours (but didn't). Even if I did, it was always automated or tightly scripted (was I ever talking to a human?).

Exhausted with the constant back and forth and going nowhere for a month but before my flight date, I called them to cancel my booking, agreeing to pay the $200. I was promised that my escalated case would be seen to but it never was. I left them multiple requests in email, in consumer.com, on their feedback form but talking to these people is like talking to a wall. If you don't believe me, please go look at air india reviews on any website or consumer complaint websites and you'll read all the horror stories. All of them are true. Save yourself the hassle, please book somewhere else, unless you're desperate and there are no other flights.

Original review: June 19, 2021

This is not the first time I have experienced this stupidest service from Air India. I had no option to choose other than Air India. They say maintain social distancing. And people are literally sitting next to each other. Complete flight is packed. Not even single seat is empty. Super dirty flights. Cheapest service ever..

Original review: June 13, 2021

Unfortunately, I choose air India. I am traveling from the United States to Vijayawada [Y38SM]. Due to some reasons, I have rescheduled my flight. They do not even have the option to reschedule the flight online from the passenger. If we want to reschedule the call we have to call customer care and they will pick the call and forward the call to the ticket rescheduling department and for that, we have to be on hold for 30 minutes.

Once the rescheduling department picks the call, the call will get disconnected automatically. Sometimes they will tell "there is an issue in line and will call you back in 4 hours". But I never get a call. I have wasted approximately 20 hours of time with Air India customer care people. Even the customer care representatives will not assist properly, some people do not know how to explain things in English properly. Since we do not have any other option we choose air India due to this COVID. "Please do not travel from Air India, you do not get any assistance once you book your ticket and if you have any problem. This is a sincere request from my end".

Original review: May 17, 2021

Purchased 2 return flights via Air India for April 9, 2020 and return on September 16, 2020. (PNR): H627W (AI). Flights cancelled by Air India due to Covid. Never re-issued the tickets or refunded the payment. Over 13 months of emails, calls and social media posts to no avail. What a terrible experience!

Original review: May 10, 2021

Promised that they would refund the amount and never did, they haven't replied to any of the emails and the customer service on the call say it's not their department. Worst service I have experienced.

Original review: May 3, 2021

All my experience with Air India was devastating. Last year I booked air ticket for my mother, from chennai to singapore on 14-04-2020. Due to pandemic, all flights were cancelled. After 1 year 1 month of countless emails and calls to air india, I received Rs. 914 as refund. I lost Rs. 6393 with their usual explanation "as per applicable fare rules". They don't even deserve 0 rating.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I bought a ticket on AIR INDIA business class in April 2020. For obvious reasons I could not fly. I have been chasing them for one year for a refund & they just don't care. The airline does not respond to emails & the customer service is rude & has no knowledge. I wish US would stop them from flying to the US. They don't deserve to be part of STAR ALLIANCE. Worst Experience of my life.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I travelled from New Delhi to San Francisco through Air India on April 20th, 21. I was asked to pay $80.0 for my laptop bag. Air India website does not mention about the weight of the laptop bag. The person at the gate counter asked to pay out of pocket. I will never recommend anyone to travel with Air India again, neither will I travel. I will escalate this issue since no information was given correctly and Other bags had appropriate weight as mentioned on their website. My laptop bag had some food that I was carrying since I cannot eat the food served in the plane and also had my iPad in it. I would never recommend this flight.

Original review: April 20, 2021

Air India is a misleading crooked airline out to fleece passengers. Especially now during corona crisis, that they are aware not many airlines are flying to US... I had a round trip ticket from NY JFK to Bangalore. Leaving NY Jan 22 and return on April 16 th 2021. BOOKING REFERENCE # **. On the day of my return, April 15th, I was thoroughly harassed and cheated and misled by AIR INDIA staff in Bangalore. Was NOT ALLOWED to board the flight. And was FORCED to buy another one way ticket to JFK at a premium price of $1400. I am a US CITIZEN. I have also been vaccinated fully against the COVID 19. I had called the Air India customer service before and told them that and they said that should be enough to board the flight.

At the airport the ground staff of Air India insisted I take a $100 Rapid antigen test knowing fully well the results won’t be in, in time for my flight. They made me miss the flight and said my ticket will be considered as NO SHOW. They wouldn’t even let me ask for a postponement for my ticket. Misled me at every step. Made me miss my flight and I had to buy a new ONE WAY TICKET to JFK at a HEFTY PRICE OF $1400. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Air India knows there are not many flight from Bangalore to US and hence use this to FLEECE and CHEAT and MAKE MONEY OFF OF Innocent passengers especially if they are US CITIZENS. I DEMAND A REFUND OF $1400 which I was unnecessarily forced to pay for a new ticket and an apology. My US Tel # **. My Indian mobile **. WhatsApp

Original review: March 30, 2021

I booked two tickets for two of my family members on 26th March 2020. Of course, that was the day that Modi called a lockdown and shut down the whole country including trains, planes, etc., leaving hundreds of thousands of people stranded. I tried contacting Air India for 6 months after that but no one answered their phones (real dodgy). Then on August 11th, 2020, I finally managed to contact someone through a number I rang in Australia. They advised me that tickets were not being refunded but that we could re-book the tickets up to December 31st, 2021. So in March 2021, I tried rebooking and was told that the tickets were no longer valid as a refund was made on August 11th 2020!! They advised to check with my bank who I then found, had no record of a refund. So then I was told to send an email to their e-commerce department.

All I got back was a vague reply telling me that they had already refunded the money. I have since asked them 4 times to clarify the details so I could give my bank specific details to follow up, but I have had no reply. I have tried ringing Customer Service, but every time I tell them what I am after, they just hang up!!!! All I can say is that this is typical of how everything seems to happen in INDIA!!! Air India have gone from being a highly rated company to a really dodgy one now!!!!

Original review: March 16, 2021

I don't recommend Air India anymore. I would say worst airline in the world. I had reservation on january 2021, had to cancel due to some covid issue, I've been calling them since January till today 15 march, refund still not processed, I've called and emailed at least 10 times, very disappointed.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I booked my flight for the first time with this unprofessional airline (Air India) and I’ve the worst experience. First I was asked to wait at the end for my boarding. I waited hour and half and found out that they wanted to charge me for duty free stuff I bought. When I asked them to speak to the manager I told told that I won’t be able to board the flight if I want to talk to any supervisor. And they ended up charging me $200 at the security gate which I don’t think they’re authorized to do. My bags and every was cleared at the immigration but I think they just wanted to make some extra cash. No wonder why Air India is going out business. Would never recommend anyone to even consider this airline. Worst experience ever.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I have been trying to reschedule my flight for the past week to no avail. Their online website is a mess that doesn't recognize my ticket or booking reference. Every time I call, they hang up on me after explaining my situation. They happily accept taking payments but will offer no support once they have trapped you.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Air India is illegally not returning refund of canceled tickets. There are hundreds of victims. I have called customer service over 10 times, they always provide misleading and false information. Finally got a response back from ecommerce@airinida and they said to contact customer service. It has been over 4 months. Lodge a complaint against US Department of Authority: **.

Original review: March 8, 2021

I had already prepaid for the extra luggage online. However, upon check-in, we were told that there is no reference to the prepayment and charged the credit card again at an even higher amount. I have been calling; emailing for the refund of the duplicate charges as they appear on my cc statement, but no response yet. Was even on hold for an hour still, no one attended to our concern.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Everyone knows Air India is worst, but still if you are a patriot and want to give business to your countries Airlines, still don’t fly by Air India. It’s better these type of businesses should shut down, anyhow they are bringing countries reputation to dust. The Ticketing staff at Delhi Terminal 3 is worst, I don’t know if they even check their educational credentials at all before hiring.

I had to stand for 2 hours just to drop bags even after e-checking and when my turn came I was thrown here and there and charged filthy amount of Rs 20,000 just for luggage weight. I don’t Mind giving the amount if it’s the rule and is legit. The behind desk person named Manoj ** just in front of me let go a girl without even weighing her carry on telling her, why do you want to weight it, If you can lift it, that means it’s not that’s heavy, like seriously and the same guy charged me around Rs 600 per kg, he made me weight every luggage of mine.

I don’t mind doing that but what I saw him doing with that girl and this discrimination literally is totally unprofessional, unethical and wrong at so many levels. I flew from US, had option of either taking Indigo or Air India, took Air India as was just feeling patriotic, never again will I fly with these unprofessional people. They have no idea about any rules, all the staff is rude especially the young guys. Save yourself from a rude experience by not traveling by Air India.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

My bag was damaged when I found it at the belt. The airport staff asked me to send an email to claim compensation. I sent the email. I didn’t receive any response from them. I kept trying to call them but most of the time they wouldn’t answer. After almost a month when I finally got to talk to the supervisor he said they cannot compensate for the damage. And when I tried explaining it to him he hung up.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I would give 0 stars, if I had the option. I had a flight from Chennai-Delhi-Chicago-Raleigh on Feb 13th. It was on this journey that I got cheated by Air India in Chennai. My ticket clearly mentioned that my 2 23kg Check-In Baggages were FREE, but the Air India lady at Check-In counter kept forcing me to pay RS.18360 (230$+Tax) as Fees. She asked me to show my ticket to prove that I was allowed 2 Free Check-In, and when I showed It, she Kept saying it was incorrect and that I was wrong. She simply refused to listen or allow me ahead, and she forced me to either pay the fees or she would throw the luggage away. I am a student, and needed to get back to US, and after some argument I was forced to pay.

Initially she demanded Cash, for which I had USD cash, but soon she said she needed the fees in INR. Luckily I had my Indian Debit Card and had To Pay the Amount Of Rs.18360. I even showed my Student Id when she asked me to prove It, but when I showed, she still forced me to either pay or getting the luggage thrown away. Every time I showed her proof she asked, she literally discarded it. She even called another employee on the phone and was making fun of me in Tamil, assuming that I did not know the language.

Just a month earlier, I had called an Air India support employee while double-checking all my ticket details, and he had explicitly told me that both my luggages were free, and that there were NO EXTRA CHARGES. Thus, I faced total mental harassment as a student, and suffered huge financial loss of my hard earned money. I have already filed a consumer complaint on Voxya, sent an email to air india and put this up on social media. I have proof of ticket which says 2 free check-in baggage and the receipt of Rs.18360 which I was forced to pay. I really hope for a full refund of my money, and strongly urge everyone to think 10 times before booking air india. WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I canceled 2 tickets booked for May 2020. Even after 11 months I have not received the refund. Customer service unable to give any proper answer. Getting different (and wrong) information every time I call. One of them even gave me a wrong email id to contact to. Unable to get answers from anywhere. Even the emails sent to the email id listed on the official website goes unanswered. NEVER FLY WITH AIR INDIA EVER!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

NEVER FLY ON AIR INDIA, IT IS THE WORST FLIGHT EVER. Air India is the worst airlines with the worst staffs. The staffs are not at all polite. They are so rude and are doing things in their own will. Not following protocols or any rules. I was flying from Cochin to Delhi then to Toronto in a Air India connection flight. The Air India staffs from Delhi did not let me fly even when I had a valid PCR report with me. They were so rude and they stopped me from boarding telling that they need to verify my result. The supervisor at the Delhi Airport was being so irresponsible and later was not clearly saying anything about why I'm not eligible to travel. Then he later apologized and told me he will book one ticket for me the next day.

He send me a guy named Hemanth who is a staff of Air India and after reaching at the ticket counter, he sneaked away without saying anything. Then a guy named Rahul came up and he was the worst. He said he cannot do anything and if I need a ticket, pay him 3 lakh or 7 lakh. And when I asked for refund, he said he is not going to pay me anything and shouted at me to leave. I stayed there for LITERALLY MORE THAN 10 HOURS from 1 am in the morning to 11 am talking to everyone in Air India asking about this issue. No one responded in a good way and even was laughing at me.

LITERALLY IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW TO BEHAVE. The supervisors are even worse with no responsibility. The supervisor who came on shift at 7 am or something was shouting at me back saying that "go ask whoever didn't let you fly, I don't have anything to do with them." They even took back my boarding pass from Delhi to Toronto to take away the proof. Worst ever flight experience and I lost 1 lakh 10,000 rupees for a new ticket. They didn't even refund me or didn't do anything even when they did the wrong thing to me. NEVER FLY ON AIR INDIA, IT IS THE WORST FLIGHT EVER.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Worst ever customer service with Air India. My connecting flight was delayed from Hyderabad to Delhi and because of which I missed Delhi to Toronto flight. They were making me to make rounds between supervisors and agents for 24hours. So I was stuck in airport for 24 hours without any accommodation or food. On top of that they made me to pay 200 CAD for the luggage by hooking up some stories. If HYD air India was okay with the baggage why wouldn’t Delhi AI?. Just don’t book flight with Air India and waste your time and money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Hi, I did booked an AirIndia ticket from India to Toronto and cancelled it within 24 hours after being confirmed by Air India customer care that I am eligible for full refund. It's been 3 weeks now and have called customer care at least 10 times, and their response is always different, mostly they will say that refunds will take care by ecommerce department and I need to send email, which I sent them so many times not a single acknowledgement so far.. Waiting for almost 3000 CAD refund. Does anyone knows any way to contact ecommerce department of Air India? I am so depressed.

Air India Company Information