Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.35/5

336 ACE Rent A Car Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

They are SHAMS. We rented and they confirmed our rental at Saint John, NB airport. When we arrived, they said they had no cars. No explanation other than they had to let all their cars go…insurance or something. I talked with **, the manager of the location at 242 Rothesay Ave, Saint John a month before and from the airport when he said no cars. He was not concerned about our predicament. No other car rental agencies had any cars. No one knew when a car would be available. I could not believe it??? My daughter was on the telephone for an hour and finally secured a rental in Fredericton for later in the day. We were forced to take a taxi to Fredericton at our cost $180 to get a vehicle.

Enterprise at 1270 Hanwell Rd, Fredericton, the manager **, was our savior. You have to appreciate, we are 4 adults on a 1 week family vacation picking up a 5th starting in Fredericton and there is no car and no possibility. Not only that, 2 other persons on our same flight were in the same situation – rented cars from Ace and no cars available – also no other car companies about 5 or 6 had any cars. The other agents mentioned that this kind of occurrence was normal – Ace abandoned their car rentals and Ace also said that they were located at the airport and they were not – about 15 - 20 min drive to Saint John.

This is called fraudulent misrepresentation. Rental reservations are valid contracts. They are violating the contracts. They don’t care!!! They did nothing to assist us. They did not honor their agreement and they did not care. This is not the kind of company that you want to deal with. They are only interested in their financial gain against our losses as consumers. I have notified the Better Business Bureau for the Atlantic Provinces, the Ministry of Tourism for New Brunswick and the Financial and Consumer Services Commission for New Brunswick. This kind of absolute fraudulent business practices takes away from tourism and destroys consumer confidence in New Brunswick. This company should not be allowed to operate at least in the province of New Brunswick.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I rented in December 2018. Had a small crack on the windshield from a pebble from local road construction. They charged me $500 to replaced it, for a $150 job, with the understanding that they will reimbursed the difference. It's end of June and I never saw the rest of my money back. I called and left messages, you can never get anybody on the phone and they don't return calls. I filed a claim with my credit card company, to get reimbursed, because I have coverage, and they refuse to submit the required documentation to them, so they closed my claim. I called the Better Business Bureau and complained, but in the meantime, don't rent from them!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2019

SCAM! BUYER BEWARE! Terrible experience, as I was charged $1,400 for a tiny dent. The dent was on the car before I rented it and I trusted the rental agent to write on the sheet, yet he didn't. Rental car company asked ME to provide proof that it existed beforehand - they did not provide any security camera footage or any footage to back up their claim.

When confronted about the scam, the employee became extremely aggressive and told me to "Call the police! We've got your $3,000, and you can see the dent." You are at their mercy, and with $3,000 downpayment being held hostage, I was forced to pay the $1,400. Car was garbage: Hard to drive. Lock system rarely worked. Covered in mud when I received it. Pricing was insane: Transported to a remote location, cannot go back to the airport, so you have to rent a car with them unless you want to walk the entire way back. Descriptions were misleading (How is a Suzuki Jimny an "Economy SUV?" It only has two doors, and the images were of Subaru Foresters). Was upsold $400 to a car with 4 doors so that my family could fit in the car.

I am considering the prospect of suing them. Says in the terms of their website "Gravel Protection (GP) included. Gravel protection includes damage to windscreen, headlights and the car when gravel or rocks get thrown on the vehicle by another car, self risk is 0 except for broken windshield self risk is 100 EUR." Even if the dent was caused by me and my memory is incorrect, it most likely was caused by gravel hitting the car, and gravel protection is, according to the terms, automatically included AND the self risk is zero. I am looking to pursue litigation, but in the meantime, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. THIS IS A SCAM COMPANY. There are real rental car companies. Don't take their shuttle to their remote location and settle with a real company that sells cars at the airport.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I rented a car at the Ft. Lauderdale location on May 29, 2019. The tank was 5/8 full. On my trip back to the agency, I filled the tank. I could not be certain that there would not be problems such as detours or how much gas I needed to return the car 5/8 full. Seems I misjudged and I had 3/8 of a tank more than I needed. The CS in Ft. Lauderdale told me that they could not credit my account for the difference. It is not a large amount of money, but consider that this happens to 10 renters a day times 365 days a year at every location. It adds up to quite a profit. Incidentally, the contract does not mention this detail and there was no owner's manual in the car.

Original review: June 8, 2019

#1) On our paperwork for 'location' it had ACE, the address and "Shuttle service". After our flight landed at the airport we went to the car rental area and saw nothing about ACE Car rentals. We asked at another car rental counter and they informed us we had to call them. No phone number was listed on our paperwork. So after Googling the phone number, going through the national toll-free number we were then transferred to the local rental location. Another confusing/ unassuming factor was the local car rental name was Journey Rent-A-Car, which was NOT stated anywhere on my paperwork. I was beginning to wonder what we were getting ourselves into.

An employee (Tom) answered, told us he'd be there in ~15 minutes to pick us up in the vehicle that would be ours and gave us the description of it, and where to meet him, which was all good. I would recommend the company 1) include the local phone number and the company's name (Journey) on renter's paperwork they receive so they have all the info in one place and 2) have signage at the airport RE: ACE Rent A Car with their local phone number.

#2) The vehicle state license plate was a paper/ temporary plate, which is fine however the plate was wrapped in 4 layers of plastic wrap, with condensation between the layers and only able to make out the wet paper tag when pressing out all the condensation, until it became hot and illegible again. While doing the walk-around the vehicle I specifically asked if the tag was acceptable since in our home state it certainly would NOT be!!! Tom assured me it was and "had never been a problem before".

During the time we had the rental vehicle we were pulled over by a Police Officer for the vehicle tag not being visible. Fortunately the Officer didn't give us a ticket, however it wasted 45 minutes of our time while they ran my driver's license and the rental vehicle tag and registration. I was NOT happy especially since I addressed it specifically with Tom!! After this I inform Taylor: a Bozeman, MT ACE staff of this issue, he apologized and said, "We have the permanent tags here and will put them on". That did nothing for me! I would recommend sticking with a larger company who hopefully would be more organized as well as follow state vehicle license plate laws.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Original review: May 27, 2019

Rented a car at Riga Airport in Latvia. At the time of rental I requested insurance (which I do not do in the US) as I have heard too many stories regarding deceptive rental car companies in Europe. The car was driven to and from our destination, and twice to and from a nearby village. Otherwise the car remained parked in a private hotel lot. The return process is you drop the car at an open long-term parking lot at the Riga Airport and board a shuttle to the terminal. You never see anyone. While we returned the car dirty as some roads were very dirty, it just needed to be washed and that should have been it.

Now I have been accessed a $68 repair for a "small scratch on the rear bumper." It is not covered by the insurance as apparently the insurance does not cover driver fault and according to the company I must have backed into something. I did not back into anything and certainly did not scratch the car - I have rented many cars over the years and the number of damages have been zero. Unfortunately it appears there is little I can do from across the pond. Run, do not walk, away from ACE or plan to be randomly charged.

Original review: May 25, 2019

There were no communication that ACE car rental will not pick us up at the LAX airport and we have to take the city bus to a location before they can come get us to their location. Wasted us a whole lot of time until we found out. The rental guy told us that shuttle starts running at 5 am and also the sign at the front door stated that. However, we showed up at 5:45 and waited there until 6:45, there was no sight of shuttle. I called customer service telling her we got stuck there and will not be able to make it on time for our fly, Instead of trying to help us, she tried to tell us that we return the car before our scheduled return time so there will be a charge without knowing exactly what our return time scheduled was. I tried to explain. She hung up on me. We and 2 other groups ended up taking Uber to the airport. Cost us $12 more plus $5 tips. I travel a lot and never had this horrible experience. Stay away from ACE car rental even if it’s for free.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Don’t ever rent from Ace at Lax airport. I rented a car for two days 5/10/19. The vehicle was an old raggedy Nissan Altima. It had several scratches all over the vehicle, seats had a ton of stains and the brakes were squeaking. I don’t see how this company is still in business. This was the WORST experience ever. They weren’t helpful at all. They didn’t have any other vehicles and I felt robbed of my money. Do yourself a favor and run the opposite way of Ace rent a car at Lax airport. Thank me later.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have a terrible experience with Orlando ACE. They double charge my rental car and when I called the agent at Orlando office, the agent picked up, I explained the problem and they put me on hold on and then hang up after 30 mins. I tried again, the exact the same thing happen, agent talked to me and ask me to wait while they look into the problem, then hang up again. I tried for 4 times, exactly go through the same experiences. Look like they did this on purpose while don't know how to resolve the issue. I will never use this rental company again. Please stay away.

Original review: April 30, 2019

In May of last year, we reserved a Car with ACE Rent A Car for three days for my dad's funeral in Henderson, NV. When we arrived the reservation was sent to Verve (an affiliate of Ace), who overcharged us $92 on the insurance they forced us to purchase. Now Ace will NOT take responsibility on the transaction even though Verve WAS their affiliate (they've closed down). Ace says they no longer have access to those files. Little did we know, Verve was independently owned. The point is our reservation was with ACE Rent A Car, Deposit already paid. No cooperation whatsoever.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was very disappointed with the service w/ ACE Rent A Car. I made reservations via Priceline way in advance (confirmation # **) for an SUV. I got a confirmation that the vehicle would be available for me. When I get to the counter I was told they had no cars for me and they were trying to rent me a passenger van. The person at counter did not try to accommodate me in any way. I have rented from Ace in FLL before and never had an issue. Not sure what type of service is being provided in SDQ but I feel it's a SCAM!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

We made the mistake of renting through the Fort Lauderdale location. The customer service was terrible from the start and it took us nearly 45 min to get the vehicle. They then attempted to rent it with scratches that were not documented. The person then took another 25 min to update the paperwork to correctly correspond to the damage on the vehicle. Then we drove the vehicle 6 miles to our hotel and the next morning the right rear tire was flat I put a spare on returned the car and photographed that the tire had no damage. The Manager refused to speak to me and they said that their body shop would call us. They emailed us a week later stating that they would be charging us $468 for changing the tire. Are you kidding me. Criminal extortion if you ask me. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: April 15, 2019

These people act like you have money to let them hold for 14 days. Everyone I spoke to was rude. I will never rent a car there again. I expect good customer service. I pay good money. NO MORE ACE FOR ME. GO WHERE THEY VALUE YOU.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Las Vegas. When I got to the rental counter after taking two shuttles - because this agency is located away from the main rental car facility - I presented my driver's license, my insurance card, and my receipt for 7 days of full coverage from CarRentals.com. The agent handed me a little pamphlet indicating that they required more "liability" coverage in Nevada than was required by Florida law and I would have to purchase ACE's liability coverage. The cost of the coverage was the same as the week's rental fee! Doubling the cost of the rental. The time this occurred was way past when my insurance agency was open and I could not confirm what the agent told me until later. What I found was that the liability requirements in Florida were 3X more than Nevada! I went back to the ACE agency and they gave me a typical runaround and refused to refund the money. NEVER ever rent from these people.

Original review: April 3, 2019

We thought we’d try saving some money by renting a car with Ace Rent A Car on Narcoossee Road, Orlando, since it was off-site from the airport. Big mistake. Burned time waiting for the shuttle, then 15 minutes more in the crowded line, then were misled into believing that we couldn’t use our own Florida SunPass to avoid paying their toll package. The guy next to us was irate about being charged wrongly for gas…for the second time. Bad news all around. We skipped it and went back to the airport, where three different car-rental places confirmed that we certainly can use our own SunPass.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I am Canadian, this was my first time personally renting a car. I booked it in advance through Expedia when we booked our flight. After realizing upon arrival that the company was located a mile from the airport, some questions and phone calls, my wife and I arrived at ACE Fort Lauderdale on their airport shuttle at about 1:00am Friday March 22nd, 2019.

Although we had booked a compact vehicle, the single employee behind the desk told us that we were getting an upgrade because he wasn’t going to go two blocks to get the car we reserved in the middle of the night. He did not get out of his seat to go out and show us the vehicle, go over it with us or anything. He made reference to some scratches on the back bumper as we were signing, and after I had signed the paper, changed the gas amount to return at 1/2 a tank instead of 5/8, he said he was helping us out. I asked about the security deposit of $200 USD and he assured us it would be returned to my card when we dropped the car off. He handed us the keys and we proceeded to a dark corner of the lot to find the vehicle. There was not good lighting, it was an unknown neighbourhood and my wife and I felt unsafe so we got in the vehicle and drove to my Father in law’s residence nearby.

Please be advised that during the entire rental period no damage was done to the car in my possession, it was parked in a driveway at a private residence and in a parking lot once, but my wife stayed in the car so it was not unattended because I know what parking lots are like. We dropped the car off to ACE at around 5:00pm Monday March 25th on our way back to the airport for our flight home. Upon entering the office this time, I was greeted as Sir and had to correct the employee (a different one) twice before he stopped referring to me as a man. I told him we were there to return the vehicle.

Without a word or apology, he took our keys and went out to do his inspection. We didn’t know whether to follow him or not so we waited for him by the desk. After about a minute of walking around the vehicle, he came back and told us there was a new scratch on the front left fender. I asked him to show it to us, so we followed him out to the car where he showed us a cosmetic scratch on the front left fender. I told him we had not damaged the car and that the scratch did not look fresh and he said it would have rusted if it was old and I pointed out that as it was plastic it would not rust.

I asked what would happen now and he said I could fill out a claim report and write my side of things and to wait two weeks to hear from them. He handed me the return paper to sign with an x marking the one scratch on the fender that he had shown us. I didn’t have a choice but to sign at the time because we had to get to the airport for our flight home. I did not hear from ACE and I have still not had my security deposit returned as promised.

On April 1st, I received an e-mail from an insurance claims agent of ** Auto claims saying she was handling the file on behalf of ACE telling me to e-mail her with all claim information from my insurance company within 3 days. The claim is for $2020.50 USD total, including appraisal fee, repairs, loss of use, administration fees, etc. The estimate given by the body shop includes completely replacing the left fender, front bumper and grill. The pictures attached (not time stamped and many upside down) show the scratch on the left fender that we were shown as well as several small scuffs/scratches on the front bumper and what looks like part of the right front splash guard pulled down slightly.

Further inspection of the estimate shows further discrepancies including charging 8.2 hours of labor for paint supplies (you can’t charge labor on parts) after already charging 8.8 hours of labor for bodywork and 8.2 hours of labor for painting. Not only is the estimate completely bogus but I am now being charged to replace the entire cosmetic front end of the car when the original dispute was over one scratch on the left fender. I am a mechanic and former auto service advisor, so I am qualified enough to know that what they are quoting replacing and the exorbitant price are way beyond what is required to repair the fender scratch I was shown. There is no need to replace the fender, and now I'm expected to replace the bumper and grill as well? I don't think so.

I tried calling the ACE Rental main number and was told that he had no information on file about a claim on my rental other than a flat tire? I was assured that they would "print out my file", review it and call me back. I'm still waiting. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact the ACE Fort Lauderdale office's manager directly in an attempt to resolve this issue, which included being put on hold until the call was suddenly disconnected and being transferred to an extension with no voicemail that disconnected the call, I have sent a detailed e-mail to ACE customer care, the claims agent who contacted me on their behalf and I have CC'd the Insurance Commissioner of Florida in an effort to have them speak to me.

I said I will be more than happy to review this matter further if they can produce the following:
1. Proof that the vehicle was damaged while it was in our possession. (That would include detailed pictures of the car that are time/date-stamped before and after that show the damage.)
2. Documentation of any loss of use (they are charging me for 4 days and since I was driving it all scratched up, I have to assume they're still renting it)
3. A contact for the repair shop so that our attorney can speak with them directly.

4. Any documents signed by us acknowledging all damages detailed in the estimate and claim.

Since they have so far not talked to me about the issue, I will be very surprised to even hear back from them, let alone get the information I've requested and I know for a fact that there is no signature of mine on scratches all over the front of the car. If I don't pay, this goes to collections, as was threatened by the claims agent, and that will damage my credit rating. This is seriously dishonest for a company to wrongly go after someone and refuse to even discuss the issue until it goes to collections.

I would like ACE Fort Lauderdale to drop the claim and refund my $200 USD security deposit, as they cannot provide sufficient proof that this damage occurred while the vehicle was in my possession but I may have to fight this in collections. After reading other reviews of this company, I have a hold on my credit card so they don't start charging my card randomly as they've done to so many other people. Learn from my mistakes. Don't rent from ACE. Don't pick your rental car up in the dark. When you pick up your car, make sure they show it to you first. Take a walk around video and pictures of everything, heck, get the employee in them too. Keep all documentation and paperwork. Don't trust anyone on their word when renting.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We recently rented a car through Expedia and unfortunately got ACE. First time using this company. We rented the car and paid our bill and one week later we're assessed $53.00 more on our charge! No explanation! We left the car, checked in, as we found it. No damage, full tank of gas. No toll violations. Nothing. NOW, have been trying with Expedia and on our own to get in touch with ACE to resolve this issue. Have made many calls. Expedia stated that they cannot reach them as well. After numerous calls, messages and frustration, I finally reached someone who said they would open a case. We shall see.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Don't do it. We had to have the tires replaced on our rental van because of how horrible they were, of course we only realized this after we were several hours away from the office. Never got our calls to the AVR (Airport Van Rental)/ACE office returned, we had to keep calling. Then when we returned the van the AVR/ACE lady behind the counter took no responsibility and picked a fight with my wife because she felt we were attacking her for expecting basic customer service and a callback. Isn't that your job? We expect some discount for the half day my wife spent in the middle of her trip on the phone and getting the tires changed. We'll see if that actually happens. Nothing yet. Don't do it. Pay a little more and get the service you deserve.

I called the ACE Customer service to get some help...not so much. They can't access much of anything in their system, and they just sent me back to the AVR/ACE location. I asked if they knew who the manager was so I could speak to them when I called. They had no idea...no idea...just gave me an email address to use. ACE's mission: "Since 1966, the most important part of the ACE mission has been the service of our customers. Come and discover how our award-winning service sets us apart." Not happening with their customer service...and definitely not at the DFW ACE/AVR place. Not so much.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I rented through Hotwire and unfortunately got ACE. When I arrived at Orlando International I was told to go to B12. After half hour the Ace Van appeared. We arrived at the Ace rental counter as I listened to the high pressure tactics that were presented to the other renters. What they said was a lie as you do not need a responder unless you are traveling to South Florida. They brought a Nissan Sentra for me to check out. Everything visibly looked good. Unfortunately I got a tire with a screw and a slow leak. Since I owned Nissans the low air pressure was on. I went to a service station and filled up the tires but the light still was on. I traveled to Tampa and back with no problems.

On the third day again checked the tires and got air in Orlando. The next day I went to Lauderdale and when I arrived the tire was almost flat so I went to a tire station. They charged me 25 dollar to repair the tire. Saturday I returned the car to Ace and the girl scanned the bill and entered in their system. They said to call Monday and talk to Customer Service. It was a joke as no one answered. Frustrated I called Hotwire. She finally got through and informed me the person at Ace refused to give her name. I talked with this person who eventually just said I should have known the screw was in the tire. She then abruptly hung the phone up on me. I am warning do not go to Ace in Orlando. They are the worst I have ever dealt with. My name is Lou ** from Johnstown Pa.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I would encourage anyone that rents from Ace to be EXTRA diligent in ensuring the fuel level, existing damage, rental rates and insurance options are all documented accurately before leaving their facility. Based on my experience, and conversations I overheard Ace representatives having with other customers when they were returning their car, I left with the feeling that the company encourages their employees to be very aggressive in trying to capture extra revenues from customers that didn't ensure that all of the terms of the rental contract were written as expected, and, that pre-existing damage to the vehicle was documented before leaving their lot.

In other words, I would not just hop in the car and go when renting from Ace. Further, I would take the time to photograph any existing damage to the car, and make sure it is documented on their forms before leaving their facility. Personally, I will not use this company again, as I do not care for how they do business.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Please do not rent from this place - I am begging everyone that if you want to keep your smile for your vacation - DO NOT, I beg you, do not rent from Ace Rent A Car in Atlanta airport. It's locally own and if you have issues with the car you will NOT have help from the customer service line. You will have to deal with only them and they will NOT help you. They will overcharge you, give you a car with over 50000 miles, bad breaks! When we called and told them that the car breaks wouldn't stop in the rain, they said, "Take it to a shop and we will have a manager call you soon." WELL they never called and NEVER once cared about trying to get the car fixed! We had to get family members whom we were visiting due to our mom being ill with cancer for the 5th TIME! ACE IS HEARTLESS AND FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I rented a car through Hotwire.com, which I have never done before. I noticed my rental was through ACE only when I got to the airport in Portland, Oregon. I was flying into Newark. I can't complain about the shuttle because it did take a while, but it actually picked me up. What I'd like to address is the lying. I picked up a 2014 Jetta Volkswagen the February 8th. Luckily, I made it to my destination 1 hour and 45 minutes away, but as I was driving the "Oil Change" was flashing. I checked the oil, and it was fine but this means the car needs maintenance, obviously. Oh, and it had 60,000 miles on it! Woof!

February 9th came around and the car was starting up very weirdly. It wouldn't turn over. I finally gave it gas and it turned on- this was obviously concerning. It was too late at that point to call the rental place so I waited until February 10th. I called ACE on Sunday, February 10th and by this time, the car would not even start! The lights were flickering on and off and starter wouldn't turn over. So, I clearly couldn't use this vehicle. No one apologized for anything that happened, they told me "I'm not sure what to tell you, Newark location is closed, try tomorrow." This means I was unable to use the car again. Monday the 11th I call the office, they do not answer the phone until 9:45 am, their hours are 8:30 am...not sure what happened here.

I tell "Nel" what is going on, and that the battery may be dead. He tells me it is a new battery, it should be fine and to jump it and if I have to pay for it they will reimburse me. At this point I did not trust this company, luckily I have AAA. I called my AAA, a knowledgeable man shows up, tests my battery. He asks me to turn the car on and off. The car starts with the jump, but won't hold a charge. He checks the alternator as well, and the alternator was fine. AAA gives me a print out of where my battery should be, and where it is. The man tells me my battery is a bad battery. I have proof it is, and I send this picture to the company as well as left it in the car.

I called ACE back and Nel tells me (while Barb, his manager is yelling in the background what to say to me) that I am wrong, and that AAA just wants to sell me a battery. The audacity. I am getting very impatient now. Nel tells me to buy a new battery, and I would have to finance it and they will reimburse me. I refuse because again, I clearly don't trust this company. They then tell me a mechanic will be at my house within 2 hours. I have a flight to catch in Newark in 3 hours, so did not want to risk missing it. I left the keys in the car and left the print out of the battery status from AAA in the car. I also sent videos of what the car was doing to ACE.

Today, on Tuesday the 13th I get an EMAIL from Barb saying "I must have left the light on, the car started fine when the mechanic got there." They will not reimburse me, and Barb even said they gave the car to someone else today. I really hope this person makes it to where they have to be because I was only lucky due to the fact I have family that was able to drive me to the airport since AAA told me if I stop anywhere with the car, the battery likely won't start again.

PLEASEEE stay away from this company. It caused me so much stress and wasted time I could have had visiting family. I never leave poor reviews, but I'm truly disgusted by this company.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

These guys should be investigated. Terrible service and rude to begin with. Bait and switch, super rude guy tried to say a Ford focus and a Prius are the same thing. Demanded cash at the counter for unlimited Miles despite Travelocity site saying unlimited. The cars are off the junkyard lot along with the professionalism of her staff. At no point did I trust them and after being forced to sign a million forms saying I would pay for smoke and a bunch other things I had no way of contesting if they arbitrarily decided to claim, I was told I was not the kind of customer they wanted and tore up my contract. They knew they were scammers and I would end up being a problem. Good for both of us. They are so crooked they don't even know they are obvious scammers.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I rented and paid for a car on Hotwire.com before finding out my rental company was Ace. A quick scan of reviews would have told me to stay far away. We waited nearly an hour for a shuttle to the facility, but it never came. I called five times to find out the status of the shuttle. Two of those times it just went to voicemail! I don’t know if they ever intended to send a shuttle, because by booking through Hotwire, they already got their money. I sat on the phone with Hotwire for 45 minutes, trying to get my money back, but Ace kept LYING to them telling them the shuttle was running smoothly and I just must have been in the wrong place. I wasn’t!

I waited exactly where their directions told. Eventually we couldn’t wait any longer with our hungry, tired infant son. DO NOT rent from this company! And Hotwire needs to end this contract, as I will never book with them again either for taking the side of these criminals over a school teacher and mother just trying to get her money back for services never rendered.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been renting cars for 35 years and never experienced such a situation as a firm trying to extort money/cash from you at a rental car place. I had a prepaid reservation through Carrentals.com. They were 45 minutes late in opening. When they finally showed up, no apology and he asked for my insurance information which I provided, because I didn't buy insurance through him, he said his credit card terminal was down and I needed to go across the street to the seedy liquor store to get cash for the deposit. I suggested since I prepaid using my credit card to just use that or call another branch to use their terminal or call the credit card company. I had 4 additional credit cards I could have used. He demanded and tried to intimidate me in going to the liquor store to get cash instead of a credit card. He wanted cash and wouldn't take a credit card. It was straight EXTORTION trying to get me to give him cash! Extortion.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We booked a number of rentals with Ace through Rentalcars.com for our three month stay in New Zealand. The first we were given was a very tired Nissan with well over 100,000 on the clock and smell to match. The second was supposed to be a Toyota with capacity for two suitcases but turned out to be a tired Mazda with boot space for only 1 suitcase! There was no choice apparently. On the second day of the rental the central locking froze and we were unable to use the car until someone passing suggested we put the remote in the sun for a few minutes - hey presto it worked - but a few days later the car again locked us out.

We called Ace who put us onto the AA and when the mechanic turned up he diagnosed a faulty remote control and showed us how to override the remote. We lost a lot of time over these delays and the absence of the offer of a replacement car so we canceled all of the future bookings with Ace Car Rental. They should be called “Rent a Wreck” for the knackered cars they push out to unwitting customers. I would NEVER rent from Ace EVER again! The staff are lovely but their cars are total crap.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have rented from at least 5 Rental agencies in Tampa. ACE cars are inferior. The car I rented had 35,000 miles on it. It was very basic - didn't even have auto lights! I had to spend 1/2 hour taking pictures and documenting the scratches. (Never had to do this myself with any other rental car company.) I couldn't add the car to my Sunpass because there were outstanding tolls. They charged more $ to my credit card than my agreement. I have made several calls to inquire about this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

On 10-18-18 confirmation email was received from Ace Rent A Car regarding our reservation for a 15-passenger van that we needed in order to transport a group of 15 people when visiting LA to see the Rose Bowl parade. Plan was to arrive at 3:30 pm on 12-29-18. Actually arrived at 3:15 pm. After waiting in line and witnessing poor customer service provided to those in line ahead of me, it finally was my turn. I provided reservation info but was told that they did not have a 15 passenger van for us. They said that the largest vehicle available was a 12 passenger van.

When I pointed out the obvious fact that we reserved a 15 passenger van AND that they confirmed that said van would be available, they said "...the confirmation says '15 passenger or similar'.” When I asked where the 15 passenger van we reserved was, they said that the customer who currently had it had not yet returned it. They asked "Do you want me to call them to see how soon they will arrive?" I said yes. They called and was told that the current customer was, at that time, still in Las Vegas with a van that they were supposed to have returned to Ace Rent a Car in Los Angeles prior to 3:00 p.m.!!!

By the way, 12 passenger is similar to 15 passenger only to the extent that they both can carry more than 11 passengers!!! I had 14 people waiting for me to return to the airport to pick them up so we could begin our visit in LA. Consequently, we had to rent a second vehicle (from and ACE competitor) in order to accommodate our entire group of 15. Based on my experience, it seems obvious that attempting to reserve a vehicle in advance with Ace Rent A Car is a waste of time and effort!!! The reservation confirmation is absolutely worthless!!! If atrocious customer service is acceptable to you, then Ace Rent A Car is the place to go. I certainly will never consider attempting to rent from them in the future.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I signed up for car rental online, it stated shuttle to pick up car. When I arrived in Los Angeles and proceeded to car rental pick up area, no sign of ACE on signs so I went back inside to ask information who told me I had to catch a Metro Green bus and then wait for shuttle to Ace location. Well, several green buses went past (20 mins. between buses) all full and not allowing people on. Finally, spent $20 on taxi cab to take me to rental place (called Ace several times and was finally given the address of the location).

Arrived at Ace late because of bus issue, then was told my car had been given out but that they had another car which though was going to be $70 for an upgrade. I protested on video link with someone who told me he was the manager stating issue with transportation from airport but to no avail. I had to pay the additional $70. Then three days before I returned the car, the check oil light was coming on. Maybe there is a lack of maintenance here too. Overall a horrible experience and I will never rent from Ace again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

The day after returning my rental car to the ACE location that we picked up from, I received a call from an ACE agent asking if we intended to return the car, which I stated that we had returned the car to the same location, and noted the time of the return. There was no follow through from the rental agency end, so I had to contact American Express to report the incident, fearing that the car had been stolen. I am in hopes of receiving a final statement from the rental location that all has been rectified, but have not as of yet. Not a good situation for a customer to be in.

ACE Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

ACE Rent A Car has grown from a neighborhood car wash into a rental company with more than 350 locations worldwide. It focuses on top leisure destinations for vacation rentals.

• Easy rewards program: With the ACE Rental Genius program, for every dollar spent, participants earn points. As the points add up, customers can earn a higher tier, letting them get eight percent off instantly. There are no black out dates for rewards program.

• Points for prizes: In addition to instant discounts and higher tiers, customers can spend their accumulated rewards points on products like Xbox ONE and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

• Valet service: ACE offers valet parking and fast shuttle service at airports to make travel easier and less stressful.

• Reservation look-up: If travel plans change, customers can easily find and adjust a reservation with their confirmation number and email address.

• Early booking: Many companies only take reservations six months in advance, but with ACE, travelers can reserve a vehicle up to a year in advance.

• Car Selection: Most locations offer economy cars, compact sedans, full-sized cars and luxury cars. Some locations offer minivans, 12/15-passenger vans, SUV’s, trucks or specialty vehicles.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead for vacations, business travelers, temporary workers and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

ACE Rent A Car Company Information