1.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

312 ACE Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been renting cars for 35 years and never experienced such a situation as a firm trying to extort money/cash from you at a rental car place. I had a prepaid reservation through Carrentals.com. They were 45 minutes late in opening. When they finally showed up, no apology and he asked for my insurance information which I provided, because I didn't buy insurance through him, he said his credit card terminal was down and I needed to go across the street to the seedy liquor store to get cash for the deposit. I suggested since I prepaid using my credit card to just use that or call another branch to use their terminal or call the credit card company. I had 4 additional credit cards I could have used. He demanded and tried to intimidate me in going to the liquor store to get cash instead of a credit card. He wanted cash and wouldn't take a credit card. It was straight EXTORTION trying to get me to give him cash! Extortion.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We booked a number of rentals with Ace through Rentalcars.com for our three month stay in New Zealand. The first we were given was a very tired Nissan with well over 100,000 on the clock and smell to match. The second was supposed to be a Toyota with capacity for two suitcases but turned out to be a tired Mazda with boot space for only 1 suitcase! There was no choice apparently. On the second day of the rental the central locking froze and we were unable to use the car until someone passing suggested we put the remote in the sun for a few minutes - hey presto it worked - but a few days later the car again locked us out.

We called Ace who put us onto the AA and when the mechanic turned up he diagnosed a faulty remote control and showed us how to override the remote. We lost a lot of time over these delays and the absence of the offer of a replacement car so we canceled all of the future bookings with Ace Car Rental. They should be called “Rent a Wreck” for the knackered cars they push out to unwitting customers. I would NEVER rent from Ace EVER again! The staff are lovely but their cars are total crap.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have rented from at least 5 Rental agencies in Tampa. ACE cars are inferior. The car I rented had 35,000 miles on it. It was very basic - didn't even have auto lights! I had to spend 1/2 hour taking pictures and documenting the scratches. (Never had to do this myself with any other rental car company.) I couldn't add the car to my Sunpass because there were outstanding tolls. They charged more $ to my credit card than my agreement. I have made several calls to inquire about this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

On 10-18-18 confirmation email was received from Ace Rent A Car regarding our reservation for a 15-passenger van that we needed in order to transport a group of 15 people when visiting LA to see the Rose Bowl parade. Plan was to arrive at 3:30 pm on 12-29-18. Actually arrived at 3:15 pm. After waiting in line and witnessing poor customer service provided to those in line ahead of me, it finally was my turn. I provided reservation info but was told that they did not have a 15 passenger van for us. They said that the largest vehicle available was a 12 passenger van.

When I pointed out the obvious fact that we reserved a 15 passenger van AND that they confirmed that said van would be available, they said "...the confirmation says '15 passenger or similar'.” When I asked where the 15 passenger van we reserved was, they said that the customer who currently had it had not yet returned it. They asked "Do you want me to call them to see how soon they will arrive?" I said yes. They called and was told that the current customer was, at that time, still in Las Vegas with a van that they were supposed to have returned to Ace Rent a Car in Los Angeles prior to 3:00 p.m.!!!

By the way, 12 passenger is similar to 15 passenger only to the extent that they both can carry more than 11 passengers!!! I had 14 people waiting for me to return to the airport to pick them up so we could begin our visit in LA. Consequently, we had to rent a second vehicle (from and ACE competitor) in order to accommodate our entire group of 15. Based on my experience, it seems obvious that attempting to reserve a vehicle in advance with Ace Rent A Car is a waste of time and effort!!! The reservation confirmation is absolutely worthless!!! If atrocious customer service is acceptable to you, then Ace Rent A Car is the place to go. I certainly will never consider attempting to rent from them in the future.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I signed up for car rental online, it stated shuttle to pick up car. When I arrived in Los Angeles and proceeded to car rental pick up area, no sign of ACE on signs so I went back inside to ask information who told me I had to catch a Metro Green bus and then wait for shuttle to Ace location. Well, several green buses went past (20 mins. between buses) all full and not allowing people on. Finally, spent $20 on taxi cab to take me to rental place (called Ace several times and was finally given the address of the location).

Arrived at Ace late because of bus issue, then was told my car had been given out but that they had another car which though was going to be $70 for an upgrade. I protested on video link with someone who told me he was the manager stating issue with transportation from airport but to no avail. I had to pay the additional $70. Then three days before I returned the car, the check oil light was coming on. Maybe there is a lack of maintenance here too. Overall a horrible experience and I will never rent from Ace again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

The day after returning my rental car to the ACE location that we picked up from, I received a call from an ACE agent asking if we intended to return the car, which I stated that we had returned the car to the same location, and noted the time of the return. There was no follow through from the rental agency end, so I had to contact American Express to report the incident, fearing that the car had been stolen. I am in hopes of receiving a final statement from the rental location that all has been rectified, but have not as of yet. Not a good situation for a customer to be in.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased additional insurance with Expedia when making my reservation. The agent in Tampa Int Airport refused to provide me with a rental when I said I have additional insurance with Expedia and my MasterCard as well. I was left stranded in the Airport without a rental car! No warning is mentioned in Ace Rental Car advertisement on purchasing mandatory coverage on their rentals... making this a form of bait and switch advertisement. They force you to purchase their additional insurance and if you refuse (like I did) then you are left stranded in the airport. This is completely wrong on so many levels!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I booked a car at ACE Rent A Car in Fort Lauderdale via a comparison website; it showed a total cost of c. $600, slightly cheaper than other options. When I showed up 11 pm at the remote location (2 shuttle bus rides) with family in tow after 15hr of flying, I was told that I had to pay an additional $300 for obligatory insurance. Fortunately, I had with me my laptop and was able to prove that my credit card covered for collision and my UK car insurance covered for liability - at which point the clerk simply said "Sorry, we don't take international insurance". The fine print doesn't say this but it was a good excuse to try and force me to pay the extra $300. Fortunately, my patient family held tight with me; we didn't give in, went back to the rental center and rented from another company. Based on my experience - avoid.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I booked and confirmed the rental online for $167.10 and was sent a detailed enumeration of the costs. Imagine my shock when I returned the car and was billed $544.65! When I protested to "manager" Alfredo ** I was met with a scowl, coldness, nastiness and contempt. He said I was charged each day for collision coverage, which I proved via my insurance card, that I had. He was unresponsive, obstinate, and would not help. I recently retired from government service after 27+ years, having done extensive traveling during my career, and know the intricacies of travel quite well in all its aspects.

I state unequivocally that I have never had a worse experience. In addition, 14 years of my career were in management and I would have had Mr. ** written up with recommendation for discipline if he were in my unit as we had a zero tolerance for rudeness and lack of customer service. This experience was horrible and I am appalled at the GREED so evident at ACE. They have lost a potential lifetime customer. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I rented a car from them 12-3 and returned it 12-6... They charged my debit card for a $500.00 which was supposed to be a hold. They rang it up as a sale. My charge is supposed to be $102.00. Today is 12-19 and I still haven't received reimbursement. I called the Newark location today and was told they send a $397.63 reimbursement back to my account on 12-17. I called the bank today and they have no record of it. I supposedly spoke to a manager named Kristina today, who was so rude and condescending. She told me to contact the Newark location. I told her that I had contacted them and they lied to me. She then told me that there was nothing she could do. So I'm actively being ripped off!!!... Stay away from this company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I am still researching: they billed me $50.54 for a 54 cent toll, ACE representative stated the $50 is what they charge for toll billings. First there are no tolls between here and Tampa that are less than $4.00, and we stopped and paid a cashier at each window so we didn't underpay unless it was their error, how was there a 54 cent toll? The rental agreement nor their website says anything about service charges for tolls. Ripoff. I will be contacting the BBB and the FL State Attorney General's Office.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

The car was filthy inside! Stains all over the seat! DIRTY Car! The customer service was a joke, had to wait for almost an hour to get my car! The sites off the airport grounds. No one to pick us up, (we didn't know it wasn't at the normal rental place.) We had to find a number where they were (had already paid for rental). Once we did called them, and they stated they only picked up every 30 mins. (On the hour and half hour.) It was 10:15 and our rental time was 10 am. So I asked, "Well! Where are you then."

When picked up they use the Ontario International's Hotel in-house pick up. The lady was So rude! When I complained he said, "Yep, ok, ok thanks!" Then laughed! I would Never USE or recommend this company or the Hotel! They made me leave a $150 deposit which I didn't know or told until I signed the paperwork. Plus if you a CA residents it's not unlimited miles. (Like stated) Only out of state! The whole thing was a joke! Run!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

So we rented a car, they advertised on Hotwire they were at an airport location at Ft Lauderdale Florida. They gave us a car with multiple dents then had us sign multiple papers. We had already paid through Hotwire. They held $200 for a deposit and said we would get it all back. They added a plate pass charge for toll booths. We NEVER went through a toll. They still charged us $54.99 anyway. They were rude and would not fix the problem. We even returned their dented car a day early. Horrible personality.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have a service dog. I have all the paperwork to prove he is a legit service dog. I rented a car from ACE and the girl that checked my car I rented out before I left. I brought to her attention that the car had a lot of scratches, dents, the seats were stained and the car stunk of cigarettes. She told me I won't be charged any extra fees because I have a service dog. As long as the car came back clean and full of gas. Not only did I clean the car. I got the cigarette smoke smell out and I cleaned the stains on the seats.

When I went to drop off the car. And mind you, the car was cleaner than when I picked it up. The horrible, mean, racist, manager was going to charge me 117.00 dollars to vacuum a car! I couldn't believe what I hearing. I tried telling him he's a service dog and that the car is clearer than when I picked it up. He didn't want to hear it. He started swearing at me and said if I don't pay the 117.00 dollars that he won't give me the ride to the airport which is part of the service you're suppose to get when you rent a car from them. They give you a ride to the airport.

This manager was so rude. He said and I quote, 'you don't want to pay the 117.00 dollars then find your ** a ride to the airport!' I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I never been treated like this. I said to him, "You're going to charge me 117 bucks to take the car in the back and have one of your workers vacuum the car for 5 minutes to get a few dog hairs out." I kept telling him the car is cleaner than when I picked it up. This manager is easily the rudest person and most arrogant person I ever dealt with. I Told him I'm going to file a complaint and I'm going to call my credit card company and do a stop payment which is exactly what I did. Please everyone. Stay away from this ACE Rent A Car in Ft. Lauderdale. They are a horribly run business.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Rented a car in Las Vegas for a week through Hotwire. Unfortunately got Ace Car hire. If had looked at the reviews before collecting the car would not have dealt with them. Hotwire deal was $220 for 7 day hire, took insurance with Hotwire. Once at desk was told that we need another $300 dollars worth of insurance, disputed this and had to prove I had adequate insurance. They finally allowed this but would not rent the car unless I took their additional liability insurance!

Was then given a set of keys and told to collect car from parking lot - which in Vegas is a bus ride away from the main rental dealers in what can only be described as a shed! The paperwork I was given had no description of any damage to car and no one came to do the customary car rental walk around with me, I took note of the scrapes and scuffs on the bodywork, took photos and went back to speak to the less than helpful staff - who informed me that they don’t bother with anything smaller than a golf ball - they noted the damage I told them about but did not leave the “shed” to look. Only a couple of hours later when settled into the driving experience - UK driver in USA - noted a small chip to windscreen.

Wished had noted earlier. Would have requested another vehicle if had, but no problem. Had insurance. If there was a problem - attempted to contact rental company, was a Sunday evening never managed to speak to anyone. Drove the car for a week, visited the Grand Canyon and friends down in Huntington Beach - did put 1200 miles on car but had unlimited mileage - did verbally double check this. Got the chat about not smoking in the car would be fined if smoked - all non smokers so no problem there?

If car was handed back with marks on upholstery would be fined - no kids in car, no eating in car only water - so no problem there? On return of the car discussed damage noted by us, and the chipped windscreen, no way to prove this was there before we collected the car, had insurance though so no problem there? No manager available to speak to us, would email invoice and contact us if required? Email received later that day - balance on invoice £0.00, no problem there?

No contact from the company so no problem there? The same day Ace Car Rental charged without consultation, discussion or notification another £506.00 to my credit card - what’s the problem? Am now in dispute with them through my credit card company. The car also did not have valid registration plates, this was pointed out to us by our friends in California - it had 30 day transportation plates which had expired! Please be warned. Do not use this company. I cannot agree with other people enough, Avoid Avoid Avoid! Only wish I had seen the reviews sooner and would have paid the extra Bucks to deal with a reputable company - which Ace Car Rental certainly is not! They should be removed from sites like Hotwire/Expedia.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I rented a car at ACE Rent a Car through Hotwire for 4 days. On the website I got a deal for 4 days x $14.27 +$57.07 of taxes and fees $46.69 = $103.76. But when I got to the Agency, they told me I was obliged to get a SLI, even if I got that on my credit card. So if I'm obliged, that means my rate is not the one shown on the website. My total was 243.95, much higher than I was expecting and I felt really bad about that. When I asked the employee if I could use only the insurance from my card, they said no and if I wasn't willing to pay for it, I could search for another company. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I rented a car for my Disney vacation, when I was picking up the car, I was told it had an empty tank of gas and I should return it empty! Really funny. As a tourist in an unfamiliar place, finding a gas station is not one of the first things I wanted to do. They told me there was a gas station just down the street (wonder if they has a kid back deal with them?). I let them know I already had a SunPass for the tolls. They told me and another customer that all of their cars come equipped with SunPass and I should use theirs for $9/day. They also, told me that I would probably be charged twice (mine & theirs) and should only use cash to pay the tolls if I didn’t want theirs. They almost convinced me and I didn’t appreciate the scare tactics used at pick-up. I ended up spending less than $5 on tolls with no doubling of fees as I was told! Unprofessional, and I do not recommend renting from Ace.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I asked to extended the rental. They agreed but did not told me of the rate changed, double what was in the contract. I should have been better taking their car back and rent another car somewhere else or even at their place would have been cheaper. I call the company and it is a location decision. The staff was even laughing at my name as they could not understand it... REALLY UNPROFESSIONAL. PLEASE avoid them at any cost.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This is my first and last time renting from this company. First of all my rental had been prepaid prior to picking up the car. After arriving at the rental agency and told them my rental and rental insurance had been prepaid was told that didn't go thru and it was not all the charges. When turning in the car asked for a receipt and it was given. Imagine my dismay upon my return home to find two different invoices in my email. So I called my credit card company to dispute the charges and was informed of a 3rd totally different amount that was charged to our account. I would like to dispute all the charges on my account except the original amount posted in June of this year. I am a senior citizen and feel that I have been preyed upon my this dishonest company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Had the car a week. Yesterday afternoon, 10/1/18, car was completely dead when I tried to start. I called the # on agreement as instructed when there is a breakdown. I was put on hold 5 times at what I assume was the Ft. Lauderdale Airport location I rented from. Agent always answered, "Good morning, welcome to ACE, please hold," and placed me on hold before I could get no halfway out of my mouth. Decided to call the nearest location, West Palm Beach, FL. Actually got to talk to someone and explain the situation. She asked the # I called, I told her, (954)764-1008, she stated that is the wrong # and quickly transferred me. As soon as an agent answered I got the same treatment as stated above. After two more times of waiting through the holding period I hung up.

Additionally, I did not leave the lights on or anything else that would have drained the battery. Today's cars shut those things off automatically anyway. I got a jump start from one of the busboys at our resort. Car did start this morning but barely even though I left it running everywhere I went yesterday afternoon. If I miss my flight two days from now due to this car then there's really going to be a problem. I've spent over two hours now dealing with this car issue on my vacation time and haven't even been able to communicate the problem to anyone. Except the one agent who didn't do anything other than transfer me.

At least the car runs once it's started. Guess I'll just have to plan to leave early enough to account for finding a jump start and get to the airport in time. Ridiculous, but I'm not going to spend the two hours driving to and from Ft. Lauderdale let alone however long it would take ACE to resolve if they even would. Based on the other reviews I've read ACE acts with no integrity on their promises to resolve issues. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RENT FROM ACE RENT A CAR. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

DO NOT RENT from ACE. I been disputing a charge on a bill for more than 5 months now and when I finally get to someone I was told that the company I rented from is now close and it was privately own so they can't assist me that I need to dispute the charges with my credit card company. Now I'm stuck with 400.oo worst of bill from E-Z PASS and charges and penalty fee for a E-Z PASS that I was told was on the car and will only be charge if it was use which it was but the company refuse to pay for it so I got 5 bills which I don't mind paying but they refuse to waive the penalty fee. E-Z PASS refuse to waive the penalty fee after I try to dispute the charges. Below is my confirmation:

"Confirmation #: **. Pickup Location: LaGuardia Airport. Pickup Date: March 22, 2018. Pickup Time: 06:30 PM. Return Location: LaGuardia Airport. Return Date: March 24, 2018. Return Time: 06:30 PM. Action Car Rental. Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport 37-10 114th street Corona, NY 11368. Call 646-650-2500 for assistance."

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! First we had a confirmation to rent a car from someplace in Calgary on JULY 19, 2018, which was a mistake. We called and changed it to the airport, the lady waived the fee. We arrived at the airport, the rental car people said, "We don't have a reservation for you, your car is in the city at a location a half hour away." Already now behind in our schedule, we took an Uber to the city 40$ ride. We arrive, no car, they put us in a minivan and said we won't have any fee to turn it into the airport location on the 26th.

We get to the airport location to turn in the car, we didn't have the original paperwork to look back at it, because we assumed everything would be taken care of. Of course not, arriving back at our hotel we noticed there is a 150$. So now 40$ Uber and 150$ difference is a ton of money. The supervisor Jared drove us to the hotel and promise me he would take it up with his supervisor (re: Uber ride). He has yet to get back with us and we have yet to get our 150$ waived...

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I'm a Federal Government traveler and I've been dealing with rental companies for almost 9 years and so far this is the worst. Last week had the worst experience with the ACE company (located in Miami Intl. Airport)... Horrible customer service (very disrespectful) and at the time you get to the front desk they changed the numbers... Not good at all!! And last but not least when I get to the car, the car looked like someone used for a bank robbery the day before!! LOL... Don't try, trust me! Ahh let's not forget that the facilities are way outside of the airport and they looked so weird and suspicious!! I'm still waiting to get my insurance refund and it's being almost two weeks.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Never ever rent from ACE Rent A Car. Having rented hundreds of cars in the US and abroad from almost every major company, I have never seen such unprofessional service. I rented from the Las Vegas airport location. They left me waiting for their shuttle for almost an hour in 106 degree heat. Their phone is on a loop so you cannot reach them by phone. Corporate was aware of this. They then insisted that I not use a debit card and promised to bill the debit card when I returned the car. When returning the car, they refused to use my debit card even though their own notes showed they promised to do so.

As I was waiting, another customer was frustrated that they opened two hours late. I reached out to corporate and spoke with Christina, a manager. She emailed the Las Vegas manager who never returned my call. Christina said there was nothing else she could do. She claimed she had no manager (I'm sure she's not the CEO) and refused to allow me to speak with her manager. I told her I would write a complaint and she said that was fine as she handles all the complaints. Worst company ever!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I waited three and a half hours to get my car. I missed half of my father's funeral because of this. They ran out of cars due to overbooking. They had the nerve to tell me that if I got there at my scheduled time I wouldn’t of had to wait over three hours. I was pissed because I showed up 30 min early and waited in line for two and a half hours before I even made it to the counter. I was charged more than the original price I was quoted online and couldn’t do anything about. If I knew my way around Ft. Lauderdale I would of left and went somewhere else. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! They are rude, understaffed, overcharge you, and take hours to get you your car.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Do not be fooled by the low prices. I booked and paid for a Ford Explorer from ACE through their website to be picked up in Santiago International Airport, Dominican Republic weeks in advance. Upon arrival I went straight to the counter and informed the agent on duty that I had a reservation and gave him my information. He looked at his monitor and after 2 minutes staring at his monitor he tells me that they don't have a car for me. I started to panic because that was my only form of transportation and I didn't tell anyone I was coming.

This agent didn't seem to care and all he offered was to give me a vehicle that wasn't even there and I had to wait for them to bring. I was so upset that I told him to cancel my reservation and he told me they couldn't do it and I had to call the customer service number in the U.S. I called the 844-874-3966 several times until I got someone and asked for a refund on August 17th, 2018 and today is August 22nd, 2018 and still no refund. I've called several times today with no luck. This company is dishonest and their customer service is horrible. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I hired a car at Toulouse airport France via Expedia and on arriving at the desk, the salesperson suggested that for Euro 3 per day extra I could upgrade to a larger car. The upgrade was actually a Fiat 500. Is there actually any car that is smaller than a Fiat 500? I sincerely doubt it. Then the sales person presented me with a sheet of paper with a long list of items that I would be responsible for if I didn't take up their insurance of €18 per day. This list included all parts of the car and I was told that I would be responsible for any breakdowns, towing, mechanical problems etc. as well of course as any damage to the vehicle.

Despite me saying that my credit card already gave me insurance, she still persisted in saying that I should take their insurance to make sure I was fully covered. After declining the first time she then offered a lower rate of euro 14 a day. I did accept this but of course I should not have done this and relied on my credit card insurance instead. I would recommend never using this company because of their high pressure sales tactics which means that you will end up paying MORE than you would with one of the other major rental companies.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Rented a car from Saint Pete Clearwater airport. They are N0T at airport as we paid for airport taxes which to leave car at airport for an early flight. They scam you 20$ to leave car at airport. Joke! Car we got was dirty first observation then the gas tank was half full. Lady says no worries bring it back half full. Which when you are refilling how can one know where half is so of course they got car back with more gas than we got it. Then on Sun Pass we paid for and as we drive thru the toll it says STOP pay toll! The topper some dog hair on seat send us a $150 fee to vacuum car! Are you kidding me.

Probably a 5 minute job. Which if the woman who checked car said of you should vacuum car or there is a big fee we would have went and done so but any company I have rented from before always takes car to wash and vacuum them out. I should say ALL LEGITIMATE CAR RENTAL COMPANIES!!! They are all about big add on! We paid for the extra insurance then extra Sunpass fees and anything that they could come up with we paid for so there would be no issues and guess what two day rental ended up costing $250 for that I could’ve had a car a nice convertible at any other company for half that price. No it was not a convertible just a beat up mid size clunker. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

During our trip to Las Vegas wife misplace the set of keys. Had to call office to get a set brought out to hotel. Later she realized she had them in the bottom of her purse just 10 min after they brought a new set. Called office. They instructed us to just bring back when we return car at the end and no charge. We did as they asked. I even went to the manager office in the back, spoke to lady running the show and she said no problem. Had even confirmed the amount I WOULD BE CHARGE. Asked for the receipt. She said, "No, we will email that to you." Right as we get on the plane the email is sent with the $200.00 charge still on the bill. I have tried calling customer service. They will switch me to that location, and guess what? No one ever answers.

However when we had the car they would answer and even knew who we were by our phone number on the caller ID. Tried calling next day same thing and each time I would leave a voice mail to call me back. As of today this has been a real stressful matter that they need to resolve. PLEASE GET ME THE TOP PERSON TO GET RIGHT.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I had a reservation (via Expedia) to pick up a rental car August 4th at the Toronto airport. Knowing it was an off-site rental, I followed the directions on your website to go to where the shuttle was meant to pick customers up. I used the courtesy phones, as directed, to call Ace. I called at least 10 times (the phone ringing 12 times each call) before anyone answered the phone. When someone finally answered, I was told that the shuttle would pick me up in 15 - 20 minutes. No mention was made at that time that there were no cars available. One hour later, I finally gave up on the shuttle and ordered an Über. I reached this decision after noticing that there were at least 30 people waiting for a pick-up and speaking to the driver from another company’s shuttle. He told me that people had been asking him all day and that nobody seemed to actually be doing pickups from Ace.

Upon arrival at your office, the staff members behind the desk were clearly very stressed and unhappy but they were markedly more upbeat than the customers standing and waiting in line, many of whom reported having been there for up to three hours at this point. I joined the queue and for the next thirty minutes, not a single customer was processed. I now believe that what was happening was that the customers at the counter were customers for whom no car was available. The staff members appeared to be paralyzed into inaction, showing no initiative to address the agitated customers who were waiting nor to think creatively about how to service everyone.

After this 90-minute period, an Australian customer came in and made a rather big scene, leaving one young employee close to tears. One of the staff members finally confirmed for all of us standing in line (the first official communication I had had since arriving) that there were no cars available if you had not pre-paid your reservation. I asked if they could form two lines so that they could process the people for whom cars were available and perhaps give a more realistic timeframe for when cars may become available for the rest of us. The staff member told us that this was impossible and that we all just needed to wait our turns.

At this point, it had been almost two hours since I begun the car rental process and the wait had created a situation in which I was running quite late for an engagement. With my daughter outside fearing we would miss our event, she was in tears and I ultimately ended up in tears myself, asking if there may be some hope of getting a car if I came back closer to midnight (after my engagement was planned to finish). My stress had been exacerbated by the many people who had begun to give up and leave without their pre-paid vehicles. All of these people had made plans months in advance and were having to change them because your company had taken our reservations, and in some cases our money, without having sufficient stock to meet your promises.

My story ends in a slightly happier way. The employee at the Discount desk (who until this point had not been helping Ace customers) saw me crying and took pity on me. He got me a car and I was so happy to be one of the people to actually get a car that I didn’t pay adequate attention to what he charged me. Although my reservation through Expedia was for $217.75 USD, I was charged $377 CAD which is significantly more.

Having to return my car on the Monday of a long weekend given my experience on pick-up I left myself 2 hours for the drop-off experience. I am happy that I did because I needed most of it. I arrived back to the office to find that there was no signage as to where I should actually drop the car. After about ten minutes, I finally tracked someone down who could tell me where to park and then headed inside, where I again found a long line that was not moving much. One of the employees finally asked for people dropping off cars to come to the front. I dropped my keys and headed outside to wait for the shuttle, slightly uncomfortable that nobody had checked the condition of the vehicle nor confirmed that I was returning the car with 7/8 of a tank of gas, just as I had picked it up. After 20 minutes of waiting for the shuttle, I finally asked at the desk when I could expect it.

I was told by the woman at the desk that she had only seen the shuttle once all day and that my best bet was to walk to the Delta hotel next door and take their shuttle. The shuttle was due in 25 minutes and I decided to wait for it and am glad that I did, because in that 25 minutes, no Discount/Ace shuttle drove by. Unfortunately, Delta was clearly not on board with Ace passengers taking their shuttle because the shuttle driver was telling passengers that he would not take anyone from Ace Rent A Car. Worried about missing my flight, I felt that my only option was to lie and tell him that I was a hotel guest because for the second time, the advertised shuttle service was not available. Having relayed all of this to the Customer Service e-mail account before business opened yesterday, I have yet to receive any reply.

ACE Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

ACE Rent A Car has grown from a neighborhood car wash into a rental company with more than 350 locations worldwide. It focuses on top leisure destinations for vacation rentals.

• Easy rewards program: With the ACE Rental Genius program, for every dollar spent, participants earn points. As the points add up, customers can earn a higher tier, letting them get eight percent off instantly. There are no black out dates for rewards program.

• Points for prizes: In addition to instant discounts and higher tiers, customers can spend their accumulated rewards points on products like Xbox ONE and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

• Valet service: ACE offers valet parking and fast shuttle service at airports to make travel easier and less stressful.

• Reservation look-up: If travel plans change, customers can easily find and adjust a reservation with their confirmation number and email address.

• Early booking: Many companies only take reservations six months in advance, but with ACE, travelers can reserve a vehicle up to a year in advance.

• Car Selection: Most locations offer economy cars, compact sedans, full-sized cars and luxury cars. Some locations offer minivans, 12/15-passenger vans, SUV’s, trucks or specialty vehicles.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead for vacations, business travelers, temporary workers and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

ACE Rent A Car Company Information