ACE Rent A Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Russell of Worcester, MA on

I had a reservation for a car to be picked up on 12/28/2016 at Ft Lauderdale Int. Airport. Upon arrival at the airport I called for a pickup and the agent told me they had the reservation but no car. I asked if the reservation actually reserved a car, he said no. The agent told me he had no solutions - but if I wanted him to keep the reservation he would. I asked to keep the reservation for as long as he could hold his breath. End result, I took a cab to Deerfield Beach at a cost of $80.00, rented a car from Enterprise for the remainder of the week and even got a free day and door to door service. Stay away from this company if you expect any service.

John of Grand Blanc, MI on

I reserved a rental car at ACE rental car, Orlando Florida. They provided me with an economy Ford Fiesta. While driving from the Orlando airport to my hotel in Daytona Beach the car, without any warning whatsoever, lost all RPM and speed slowing to an abrupt stop from 70 mph speed limit on interstate 95 to within 2 miles an hour and directly in front of a semi truck following my vehicle! As an experienced driver very aware and alert I abruptly moved to the shoulder to avoid being rear-ended by a semi truck and dying on interstate 95 as a result of an engine failure and a defective automobile! I continued my journey to Daytona hoping this was a single incident. However it was not! This exact situation occurred twice again, on State Road 44 into New Smyrna Beach and then again on Atlantic Avenue in Daytona Beach as I approach the hotel.

Fortunately I was able to instantly react and pull off the road to avoid being rear ended by traffic behind. I immediately notified the rental desk at Ace Rent-A-Car. They agreed that it was a serious safety issue and very dangerous and to park the car in the parking lot and they would replace the vehicle by the next day, towing the unsafe and dangerous defective Ford Fiesta back to their Orlando location. The exchange was made at no charge obviously because of the dangerous unsafe non-drivable rental car! I returned the replacement vehicle to their location on December 12. Today for days later I was advised there was a $436 towing charge fraudulently without my authorization or approval added to my Visa card!

I immediately called this unscrupulous rental company and spoke with manager Andre. He stated he was told by the local dealership there was nothing "wrong with the car", and therefore charge my account $436 for the towing of the exchanged vehicles. Without question, unequivocally this company has proceeded to put in an unsafe and dangerous vehicle back on the road in their rental inventory and charge me as a customer and outrageous towing bill when in fact the car failed three times driving it from Orlando to Daytona in 80 miles!!

Please do not under any circumstance is put your LIFE IN DANGER and rent a car from this unscrupulous company!! Their office is located on Semoran Blvd., Orlando! I advised my visa contact (and will never pay the charge) and filed immediate dispute. After 15 minutes of discussion and restating the issue and a problem to manager Andre, who is the one who initially of approved the replacement because of the dangerous situation that he agreed to, he never agreed to remove the charge. I have notified the department of transportation, the Inspector General's office and call Pam ** the Attorney General's office of Florida.

Richard of London, Other on

We booked a car online through Ace for our holidays in Dominican Republic & booked insurance separately through Allianz. When we got there we were told our insurance wasn't valid (which is not true) and forced to spend an extra $200 on insurance. The partner company Nelly were very aggressive & it made for a really unpleasant start to the holiday. Do not hire a car through Ace. They are crooks!

joe of Sylmar, CA on

Rented in June of 2016, everything went fine. Do your homework and you will save money. Go there not knowing and it's mostly your own fault if you get screwed over. Get the insurance from Travelocity or whoever you book it with. Bring a copy of your insurance policy, and allow at least 1 hour to get car and 1-2 to drop off car. Ya they tried to up sell me everything under the sun, just say no, and read what you sign, and it will be alright. When I look at the reviews, I see why most of these people get screwed, sheep.

Kym of Daytona Beach, FL on

Worst parking experience ever. I travel bi-weekly and tend to switch between a few different ones. I decided to give this one a try since it was on Cheapairportparking.com website and had a reasonable rate for the time period I needed. The drop off process was uneventful. Coming back we did have to wait longer than expected to get picked up from the airport even though they said a shuttle runs every 15-30 minutes. The couple in front of me in line: They couldn't locate their car keys. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out what was going on but they finally were able to locate the car and keys.

My turn: Also could not locate my car keys. Took about 20 minutes. Finally located my keys and guy goes to get the car. He is gone for another 15-20 minutes. I go outside looking for him. Can't find him (granted this lot is not very big) - Send my daughter to go out looking for him - he is wandering the lot aimlessly looking for my car (supposedly). Now we are all walking around the lot looking for my car - after walking around for an additional 15-20 minutes we finally locate my car under a tree with leaves covering it. Next dilemma there's another car parked behind me - no way to get out. So... yes you guess it takes another 15 minutes for therm to locate the keys to that car to move it to let me out! So all in all I was there almost 1.5 - over 2 hours since we landed to get out of there.

They have a horrible process with their parking service - and as I can tell from previous reviews and being in line - car rental service is not any better - the numerous times I heard "there is nothing we can do for you"! When you drop off your car they fill out a slip of paper and then your keys are put in a Ziplock bag with this slip of paper. So if your keys get separated from the slip of paper they have no real idea where your keys belong unless they look through all the ziplock bags. The Ziplock bags are kept in a box yes a box behind the counter - I could have reached over the counter at any given time and taken a whole box of keys.

When people dropped off their cars for parking the keys and paper were lined up on the counter - no supervision - the attendant left numerous times with keys in the open where anyone could have walked away from them. Avoid this place at all costs - The extra few dollars saved will just = a lot of aggravation. The only positive thing I can say was the shuttle driver was pleasant.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Steve N Nikol of Rio Linda, CA on

Booked a full size Expedition ($552 for 6 days) directly through the Ace Rent A Car website for our trip to Guadalajara. Spent time researching with Insurance in Mexico, different companies etc. Prepaid our deposit for rental on the website. Upon arrival there was not an Expedition available, there was not even a van or smaller SUV available. Only compact cars. Counter agent could not provide a refund. (Have to do it online or call when we get home!) We had to go elsewhere and pay 2 times as much for last minute rental and wasted 2 hours of our vacation! Mexico grrr!

Charles of Wimauma, FL on

On November 4th we went to pick up the Mini Van that I had went online to hold. When we got there, we were told that we couldn't take it out of state so we had to take a van....15 passenger van. It was a 2016 Ford Van and it drove great, rode great and did serve the purpose. The problem was... once we got home, 1.5hr later from picking it up, we found ants were inside. There was a spill that look like a milkshake going down the side door; cups in the back with ants in them. I didn't look inside to inspect for cleanliness. I have never had to do so before. I called the office and spoke to "Sean" and he was very nice and apologetic. Said he would give us a $17 credit. I didn't think that was fair but we had to get on the road to get to our destination to NC.

When we returned on Monday the 7th, we went inside and the guy behind the counter was on the phone. While sitting there, we overheard him tell a customer on the phone that his refund had been processed and to double check his records. When he hung up, he called us to the desk. I told him before we get started I would like to show him something. I told him it drove and rode great! The gas mileage wasn't that bad and enjoyed using it. I told him there was a spill on the side door and ants we had to kill during our use of the vehicle.

He told us that he would have gotten ant spray and then Ace would have reimbursed us for it. I also let him know there were cups in the back with ants and it all came down to the van was not cleaned before released to be rented. I also mentioned there was a dead dried up frog in the door. I mentioned that management needs to check all cars and vans after they have been cleaned to verify the work has been completed correctly.

At this point the guy who was working this shift, November 7th at 2:30pm. He proceeded to say, "Give me the ** key." We were so shocked that anyone would say this to a customer. I said "Excuse me????" He said, "Give me the ** key and get off my ** lot and never come back." I gave him the key and told him we would never do business again with this company. I also said I would be getting in touch with corporate office. He said he didn't care and to go ahead.

He kept my paperwork that had all the information on it. If we had not been so far away from the lot we would have turned around and went back to get it. I have my credit card transactions to prove they took my money. I am waiting on my $150 deposit to be credited back. I have been in customer service for years and management. His behavior was and is grounds for dismissal. I hope corporate office deals with this. They have lost a customer for life.

Anthony of Bellerose, NY on

This place is just straight unprofessional, irresponsible, and thieves, first I get there and they tell me they don't carry the car I rented, when I called 3 times to confirm, I had to pay double to upgrade to a proper vehicle, then I lose my keys in Disney World, and there is absolutely no one to get in contact with after 8 p.m. on a Saturday, had to take a taxi at 12 a.m. with my 3 kids, the next day they say they have no replacement key, and referred me to a locksmith which couldn't do anything till Tuesday (from Saturday).

Tow truck, key fee, and 3 days with no car ($750 later), then these pricks... I wash the car a couple blocks away, and top off the gas, drop the car off (NO receipt on site). I get to New York, they have the audacity to charge me $51.75, for gas fill up??? Unprofessional, THIEVES, everyone in there was no help, manager was literally giggle on the phone over the whole ordeal. Worst experience EVER RENTING, don't waste your time there, will report. Told Better Business Bureau ASAP, messed up my whole vacation experience for me and my whole family!

Michelle of Stow, OH on

My family and I rented a car from Ace Rent A Car in Orlando Fl. from June 14, 2016 to June 23, 2016 for $531.59. We were not told that the rental building is about 15-20 minutes away! It is not at the airport. When we arrived at the rental place we couldn't believe what a run down dump it was. We waited in line about an hour and when we finally got to the desk, we were told they gave our rental car away to someone else. They gave us a van instead that was disgusting, filthy, and smelled horrendous. We were never told about the many, many toll roads in Florida or how they worked. Totally different than in Ohio. If they don't explain it to you, they benefit financially because they will charge your credit card if you go through a toll without even knowing it. Total SCAM!

Every single person who works here from desk clerks to managers is awful, rude, disrespectful and completely unprofessional. We had about $125.00 charged to our credit card without our permission. It is unbelievable that this place has not been shut down by the state after hundreds upon hundreds of complaints. Shame on the state of Florida for allowing this place to continue to scam and steal from consumers. No one in their right mind should ever do business with Ace Rent A Car.

Lawrence of The Villages, FL on

I made a reservation online with AARP Travel Center/Expedia for Ace Rent A Car at Orlando airport (Phone number **), Confirmation number **, for Nov. 1 - Nov 5 for 4 days economy car with unlimited mileage for $14.00 day with total cost of $89.08. When I got there, they said, the unlimited mileage is only 150 miles a day and if you don't have your car insurance card it's $40.00 a day extra for the coverage. I don't carry my insurance card with me... It's in my car. I told them I could get on their internet and print a copy off, but they said I couldn't do that (Company Policy). I went back to the airport and because I had not made an advance reservation the cheapest car available was from Enterprise at $45.00 day with total costs of $234.25. I noticed 3 people in line in front of me leave without renting a car (Maybe they didn't buy the bait and switch routine also).

Francisco of Orlando, FL on

I made a reservation and don't read the specs to rent. If you are a resident you need to have your own insurance of your car to rent a car with them. I tried to buy one insurance and they just don't sell for residents. It's stupid!!! DONT RENT A CAR WITH THEM! We have changed to Alamo and made the reserve 5min before to went to the counter and it was perfect, 1000 times better than Ace. DON'T GO to this rental car. The Ace rental car employee said even he doesn't recommend that company. I waste $25 on a deposit. It's a trap.

Rafael of Flemintong, NJ on

We booked a Toyota Camry and the cost was for $136.00. All included. But we got to Miami we have to wait for 15 minutes for a shuttle. Then when finally we got there we end up paying $489.00 and the car that they gave us was totally different. A Nissan Versa coupe. If I want to change I need to get a different one. Of course more money. I was so tired that I just wanted to get out and enjoy my vacation. Then when I return the car I asked for the deposit and the answer I got "that depends on the bank." Awful experience. It's a ripoff. Stay away from this company.

Sandy of Davie, FL on

DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERE!!! Their prices may be good but comparable to MUCH BETTER rental companies in the area. I reserved my reservation online and prepaid before arriving to pick up the car. The transaction went through for the total days I reserved the rental. I get to this location to pick up the car and after the CS rep pulled up my reservation proceeds to tell me they do not take debit cards and can not rent me the car. "Well, this is a problem," I said to her because the transaction has posted. What am I supposed to do being that ACE processed it. She says "You'll have to call CS and request a refund." I replied "No, no I will not." The card was accepted and charged. So after about 30 minutes the manager approved it.

This evening I go to close out the reservation but needed the car for additional days. CS asks if I made a new reservation and I had not but had called to tell them I was coming in to do so. She looks at me puzzled like as if I was there to rent a hotel room. I explained that I spoke to Humena (think that was her name) and she said to come in, close out existing, and make a new one. Again, waiting for more than 20 min with my toddler with me she went back and forth to the office and another employee (possibly was a manager) to come back and say, "I am sorry we can't rent you the car again." Very confused, I asked why. She said because it was in process of being reported stolen. I was mortified to say the least and will be putting this on EVERY site involving in renting vehicles along with further actions.

Crissie of Jackson, MI on

DO NOT BOOK WITH COMPANY. They are crooked! When you received your bill upon returning your car you will have so many extra charges added to the bill. My original booking was $106.00 and at the end it was $360.00. Getting through to customer service can take you hours because they hope you will give up.

Benika of Rio De Janeiro, Other on

Last month (September) I made a reservation by the website Expedia.com. br of a rental car at ACE RENT A CAR. The rental for 1 week with taxes and fee was US$ 105.56. By the time we arrived at the Ace Rent a Car Orlando, they started to charge other taxes and I informed that I do have a MasterCard Platinum Insurance, so I wouldn't need an insurance. They gave us a paper with a lot of abbreviated charges and I argued on time that we do not need an insurance and they said it was only state taxes charges.

But when we saw at our credit card invoice, they charged US$ 312.66. I really don't know what are all the other charges and already send an email for ACE RENT A CAR asking to detail the abbreviated charges but they never answered. So I looked at google and found out that one of the charges it's an insurance called MCO SLI, which I told and showed the credit card with insurance included. There is a charged called "MCO PASS24", that I did not authorize it.

It was really confused at the store when we arrived but they said the charges was only mandatory. No different charges. They LIED!!! Now I am trying with Expedia.com. br but they said they cannot help us. Because ACE RENT A CAR do not give any answer about this problem. And ACE RENT A CAR never answer me by email. And any person who answers the phone, keep saying that they cannot help us because it is not their responsible area. I feel very aggrieved. I will never recommend ACE RENT A CAR to anyone. Please pay attention in charges and question everything right away.

Cynthia of Tampa, FL on

At LaGuardia Airport, a large airport, had 1 car for me when I got there. Had 110,000 miles, accident damage and windshield wipers that didn't work for $88 a day. A complete rip off. Should be called rent a wreck and for close to the same price as the competition. Ridiculous!

Blake of Missoula, MT on

We were with friends who returned a rental care on June 22 to the Orlando location. I left my phone in the car. An employee called us within a few hours of returning the car to let us know that they found my business cell phone had fallen between the seats. Upon our return to Montana, I contacted the Orlando rental location to arrange to have my phone returned. I was told I needed to "send a pre-postage paid package" for your company to ship my phone back to me. Honestly, I was a bit shocked by this, assuming, this would be a small customer satisfaction gesture to simply ship my cell phone to me.

So, the following week, I went to my shipping company, they prepared a return pre-posted package (which cost me over $50!!). After almost 5 weeks, I contacted my shipper who, via package tracking, informed me the pre-paid return had indeed arrived at the Orlando location on July 6th and was signed by June **. However, at that time, 5 weeks later, my phone had not been returned. When I called the location, it took over 5 different phone calls to finally speak with "June **" (she was always "out" when I asked for her by name). I was told, "I will leave her a sticky note to call you" - that never happened!

Finally, when I was able to speak to June in person, she informed me she never received a prepaid package to return my phone. When I told her she was the person who signed, I was told, "my employees just sign my name when I'm not in". Really? What kind of in-office policy is that? Now, she was taking no responsibility because "they just sign my name when I'm not here" (which seems to be quite often given the multiple times I tried to contact her). As ridiculous as I found that, I asked that the company simply return my phone to me. At which time, she told me she had no idea which phone was mine. After describing it, she charged my phone and identified my husband's contact. We confirmed she was holding my phone and we had identified it as my phone. She then, asked me to resend another prepaid package. Really? We are talking that my phone has been sitting in Orlando for over 3 months, I live in Montana!

So, after another 3 weeks, I received a call from my shippers that my phone finally arrived. When I went to pick it up, they told me it was returned, not in the first package I sent for $50, not even in the second package that was resent - but in a makeshift box. Oh well, at least they returned my phone after nearly 4 months now. Oh! By the way, did I mention while my phone was in the possession of whoever was "securing my phone", I received several text messages from total strangers on the east coast (remember, I live in Montana) informing me they were receiving text messages from my business phone requesting credit card information regarding a Capital Credit card! That's fun to deal with as a business owner whose phone is at a rental car company in Orlando.

Ok, my shipping company called me today, that my phone finally arrived! Well, guess what - the ** show that you run at your Orlando location sent someone else's phone to me. $50 dollars shipping later, some very rude conversations with "June **" (a supervisor who allows other employees to sing her name?), text messages from people that my business is requesting credit card information... and now I have someone else's phone in my hands. What the hell? Seriously, I was so impressed with the immediate notification that someone found my phone in a car.

I will never rent a car from your company, I will inform everyone I know of how your company has no customer service and how your company allows supervisors to have others fraudulently sign their names, and then not take responsibility for that signature and lack of follow through. We will definitely inform our friends who frequently rent through your Orlando site to never rent from your company, again. You should seriously examine your policies because I am absolutely appalled at the treatment we received from your company. You should be ashamed!

Glenn of Lake Bluff, IL on

Required me to take Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) or take the shuttle back to the airport and find another car company. First I reserved a mid-size. The agent offered me an AUV for additional cost. I refused. He then offered an SUV for NO ADDITIONAL charge. I said I still wanted just the mid-size... guess what, they did not have any mid-sizes available. Then the SLI requirement. If I showed them my auto insurance policy which has liability coverage they would not require SLI coverage, which is optional according to their policy.

Well at 10:30 pm (Orlando Airport) I would not have it and could not "call my agent" as he suggested. But he said if I could produce one later they would reduce the charge. Well I did call my agent and he emailed me my policy and I then called them and said I would email my policy... they said they do not accept emails and I would have to come in to present my policy. What a scam! I had to take the SLI under duress and I still have not gotten an answer after sending certified mail to them requesting a compromise. HORRIBLE company.

KRISHNA of Bellevue, WA on

We had a really miserable experience with ACE rent a car and I would like to warn other travelers about it. I booked a car for 6 days with ACE rent a car at the JFK airport. Our flight got there at about 11:40 am and I called ACE around noon after picking up our baggage to send their shuttle. We waited for half an hour and then called again to check if they had sent it. They assured me someone was sent for a pickup. After waiting another half hour, I called again. This time they said the guy picked up other passengers, but did not see us. There was no way this could have happened. People at the waiting area told us a black or a white van from Hilton will come to pick up and we have been waiting for an hour or so.

Anyway, they sent a shuttle finally at about 1:30 and we reached the ACE desk at Hilton Garden at about 1:45 pm. The customer service person was attending to another customer and we were next in line. Amazingly, it took close to an hour for that person to process and we finally got to the counter at around 2:45 pm. We were planning to go to Montreal, Canada and mentioned it to them. The person said there is an additional charge of $100 to go to Canada. I wanted to speak to the manager to understand why that was the case. The person spoke (or pretended to speak) to someone on the phone and never gave us a chance to speak to anyone. We finally reached our destination (Poughkeepsie) around 5:15 pm more than 5 hours after landing in JFK!!

The unfortunate thing was we finally did not go to Montreal, but ended up getting charged for it. When I called them to say that we did not go to Canada, they said it is too late (understandable). However, I wanted to speak to the manager again and was told to call again later and it is in their policy to charge us. I asked to show me the policy and they would not oblige. Also, the car was in an average condition and said maintenance required. Thankfully there were no problems on the way, but you can bet that I would not go to them again.

Bradley of Bristol, VT on

I booked a car through Travelocity and was told the total for the time period would be 166 and some change. After returning the car and looking at my credit card statement, I see a charge for $300 greater than the bill. Called them up and they said it was a credit hold and that it would be posted within 5 business days. I called my credit card company and asked them when the hold would be released and they stated there was no hold on the card. I called Ace back and their policy is to charge the customer the "hold" amount plus the actual fee, then do a refund.

Now, I'm not sure what the interest rate on your credit cards happen to be, but even a 10% APR on an extra $300 in a billing period is stupid and unnecessary. If I had rented this car later in the month, my billing period would have rolled over and I would have been charged interest on something that shouldn't have been there. Shady business practice right there... If you're going to put a hold on a card, actually issue the hold, don't charge the consumer then refund it. You think they'd pay for the interest on that too? Unlikely. Next time I rent a car, it'll be from a company that doesn't try to upcharge.

Mary of Louisville, KY on

Do not rent from Ace Rental located in Miami nor anywhere in that matter. The customer service was horrible. The car was junk. I had a flat with no spare and was responsible for the tow. When the flat happened I called Ace rental for help and they told me it was my responsibility and they could not help me and then hung up the telephone. Very rude. They need to be fined and inspected and closed down. Unsafe for renters and they do not own up to any of their mistakes. All they care about is the money.

Joe of Toronto, ON on

We booked a pre-paid car rental from ACE thru CarRentals.com. The package includes Theft Protection and Collision Damage Waiver. ACE was only a broker, the car renter was Green Motion Car Rental (GMCR). When we picked up our car, GMCR refused the insurance and wanted to scam us another high premium insurance with £1,500 deductible and £40,000 liability for a £15,000 car. GMCR cancelled our reservation when we refused their insurance, and ACE's help phone did not work to sort out the mess. We have to dragged with heavy luggage to take public transpiration back to Heathrow Airport to rent another car hours later with exhausted bodies.

When we asked ACE for refund, ACE said the transaction was completed, and accused us had no insurance and refused to refund, while we did not get car from ACE's package and our rental package included theft protection and collision damage waiver insurance. We are still trying to get money back from ACE. Get clear from ACE, they will lie to keep your money.

LeeAnn of Wichita, KS on

Do not rent from this place we live in Kansas and booked online for the one in Miami when we got there they had a completely different price than what I had booked online for and charged me 134$ for their insurance which I did not initial next to that I wanted it. When disputing the charge they were not nice or sympathetic at all. Being so far from home we ended up having to just deal with it but it would have been cheaper to just take a taxi to our hotel in Ft Lauderdale. Total waste of money.

Arnaldo of Orlando, FL on

Today 9/2 is my first time renting with ACE and wasn't the best experience at all! First of all the employee offer me the option to pay the gas so I can return my car empty for a total of $30, that is for the 4 days rental. I ask if the gas tank will be full and he said no but the car right now has 3/4 of gas. So I said to myself that is decent. I put 10-15 dollar more to fill the tank and head to my destination. I inspect my car for any damages - everything good! But after I get out from the rental place I see that my fuel tank is only 1/4 of gas!!! Unbelievable!!! I had to stop in a gas station to fill up the tank and I spend the same $30 that I paid upfront to have my car full of gas! Second the car wasn't clean at all!! Was filthy inside and outside, and I even had to take trash out from it!

I definitely will not recommend this company at all! Since I felt that the employee lie to me and the condition of the car wasn't the best! The only thing that it was great was the price for the rental.

Dakila of London, Other on

Beware of this company. Their rates for Orlando showed up in comparison sites as one of the cheapest, so we booked with them. However, on arrival, we were told that their "International Drivers" policy is a MANDATORY charge for CDW and SLI. We tried to cancel at this point, but were told that if we cancel they wouldn't refund our booking which has been pre-paid. They have an option to "pay now" or "pay later" which is more expensive - If you do opt for this company, make sure to choose pay later as it is a complete scam.

Their stated policy online for International Drivers is that they need to see Proof of Full Coverage, so what the person in the counter told us is incorrect. I am trying to get a refund. They have told me to call back again tomorrow as they have no management coverage on the weekend and to go back to their local office to provide the proof of insurance. To be doing this while on holiday is a disaster. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY.

Dennet of Edmond, OK on

We arrived late in the day and had rented a van in Tampa FL. They told us they were giving us one van and then no maybe this van. He couldn't decide which van he wanted to give us. Finally after he decided what van and we signed the papers and I added the toll package. They finally drove the van around, it was dirty inside and out and a lot of scratches. They handed me the paperwork, I told my husband to start documenting the scratches and finally he took the car in and said there was too many scratches to document and they said it didn't matter. We went to eat and then got on the road to drive to Siesta Key and the van starts shaking when we get to 50 MPH. By this time it's too late to turn around and ask for another car. So driving all over the Florida area was not very pleasant with a shaky car.

After a week, we took the car back and as soon as we drove in and started getting the bags out of the car, one of the workers came up and asked for the keys immediately and said he had to get the car ready for auction! We are hurrying to get our luggage out and stand in line to check out. When I got to the front the worker asked for the keys and I said the other guy took them to take the car to auction. He tried to accuse me of giving the keys to someone off the street. I said "No he worked for you." We proceeded to check out and had to wait a long time to get to the airport to make our flight. Almost missed it. A month later, I get a charge on my credit card. I call them, got the runaround. Finally talked to someone and they said I did not purchase the toll package so they charged a $50 surcharge for my $8.00 in tolls. VERY SHADY COMPANY. DO NOT USE THEM!

Jerald of Vancouver, BC on

Prepaid for a compact/economy car. Went to pick up vehicle, didn't have any offered a car where the trunk doesn't open. Cancelled my reservation and refunded $61 LESS (was NEVER told I would be charged a fee by the agent in person and on the phone). Very poor business practice and horrible customer service.

Mo of Montreal, QC on

All I have to say horrible customer service! I called for ACE Rent A Car in Montreal. First they don't have a number to call directly the store you going to rent from. They told me there are no cars available when online I made a reservation and I told the guy "thanks I will find another company", he hung up on me. HORRIBLE comments and reviews about this company and I now know why!

Lynn of Fort Myers, FL on

We reserved a midsize car with unlimited miles for $306.22 for a 10 day time period. When we went to pick the car up, we were told by the ACE employee that they would not give us a mid-size car for that price, only a compact. They then proceeded to tell us that since we are Florida residents, we were restricted to 150 miles a day and required to put down a $300 deposit, despite the fact that our reservation stated unlimited miles and that the price included all taxes and fees. None of these changes that ACE was forcing us to now accept were in the original reservation contract. We were stuck at that point since we had no back-up reservation, so we took the compact car with the mileage restriction and put up the deposit they required.

It wasn't until that evening that we realized the car they rented us had expired plates on it. We drove back to Ace and arrived right before closing requesting a different car that had legal plates on it. The attendant brought out another car which we inspected and noted that one tire was almost flat. The attendant went back and checked his records and said they had had a problem with that car because of a slow leak in the tire. They then brought out another car. By that time, it was dusk, they were closing and they hurried us through the paperwork and inspection. The car also had no gas in it so we had to go immediately to a gas station to fill it. Since Ace was closing, they told us that we could go get gas and then return it empty. [We returned it with a tank even though it was given to us empty.]

When we returned the car, we walked around with the attendant who originally found no scratches. Then as she walked back in the door looking back at the car, she walked back out and pointed to a scratch on the underside of the right wheel well area. My husband told her that we did not scratch it and explained that when the original inspection was done it was getting dark by that time and ACE was closing, and so since you have to back away from the car to even see it, it appears it was missed in the inspection that night. Looking down as you walk around the car, even she did not see it until she went away from the car and looked back. She agreed with my husband that it could not be seen while walking around the car and it could have easily been missed when the attendant conducted the inspection with my husband that night.

She then asked my husband to write a confirmation on the paperwork that stated he had not hit anything, which he did. She said that would take care of it and we would get our deposit back which she marked for reimbursement on our paperwork. She highlighted the deposit account on our paperwork and the paperwork even shows -$300 showing it was being returned. Then to add to the nightmare, they told us that their shuttle was broken and they could not return us to the airport. We had to catch a ride on the Enterprise shuttle to get to our plane.

A week later, we get a letter stating that ACE is filing a claim against us for $364 which included repair of the scratch and rental charges for the car for its non-use while being repaired. I requested a picture of the scratch and the photo they sent shows a large black area over the scratch. It was not the scratch originally found on the wheel well but was apparent that they altered the scratch. Since the scratch was not prominent originally and the ACE attendant agreed with us that the location was easily missed and telling us we were getting our deposit back, we did not take our own photos.

Despite explaining this to your insurance claim department, Ace said they are proceeding with the claim against us. The degree of deceit and unprofessional treatment through this whole procedure is overwhelming but appears to be their MO from reading the other reviews. Unfortunately, I did not read the reviews before renting. Never again!

Lillian of East Hartford, CT on

I booked a car on line from Ct. for my son's vacation in Orlando. When he went to get the car they did accept the price given on line and was charged 550.00 for 10 days instead of 376.00 that was on line. Also he had to give 300.00 more for a deposit which it didn't say in their website. When I called to ask about this they were not cooperative and refused to change this ridiculous amount. Besides this the person said that they will charge 25.00 per day if he returned the car (around 275.00). They charged him also 120.00 for mileage and 72.00 for the sun pass. None of this was specified in their website. Please investigate this matter because I consider this to be fraud. I tried calling corporate offices but no one picked up. One worker's name starts with D. (a woman) and the other with A. (a man). I am very upset and disappointed. Never like this situation has happened before and I have rented cars many times in other places.

Compare Rental Cars