3.8/5 (594 ratings)

About ACE Rent A Car

ACE Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Worse experience I have ever had at a car rental, so many bad things about this company and counter help to mention. The car was filthy and had love bugs all over the front. The car was in an accident and still needed to be repaired in the front, We had no choice but to accept this car because the woman left work with no one else there. When we got in the car, it had less than a fourth of gas. Upon returning it three days later, they had us drop it off at a different location. I will NEVER rent from ACE Rent A Car again, nor will I recommend them, STAY away from them PLEASE. Forget the "discount" price, it's not worth it. OH, they get their cars from a third party called Ability. Rented on 09-15-2022. Returned on 09-19-2022.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I prepaid for my car rental 2 months in advance - over $500 CDN, unfortunately on my pick up day my flight was delayed and then cancelled...I called at around 5pm, got the employee who refused to hold my car for me for the next morning. I DID NOT GET A REFUND OR A CAR!! I will never use this company again -BEWARE.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

On a recent vacation in Florida, my travel agent booked a rental car for pick-up at the Ft. Lauderdale airport and return at the airport in Orlando a week later. The base rate of $241.50 for a compact was decent but the fee charged for the drop-off at a different location was $200.00, twice the amount I had paid at Thrifty a few months earlier with the pick-up and drop-off locations reversed. That was not the rub, however. I was forewarned while waiting in line at the pick-up counter in Ft. Lauderdale and observing how the counter clerk was attempting to muscle an elderly female customer into buying upgrades and additional insurance she said she didn't need.

Sure enough, when it was my turn at the counter, I was subjected to the same sales pressure tactics but firmly rebuffed the clerk's attempts to sell me an upgrade, additional insurance and pre-paid gas. He was particularly insistent on my pre-paying for the gas and I made it very clear to him that I was not interested. Upon returning the car in Orlando after refilling the tank, I was surprised to discover that the clerk had still billed me for pre-paid fuel. Luckily, the young lady who checked out the vehicle offered to refund me the amount, which I verified has since been done. Needless to say, despite the integrity displayed by the young check-out attendant in Orlando, I plan never again to use the services of ACE Rent-a-Car.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

Horrible. After a long flight and landing in the LIR Costa Rica airport heat be prepared to get fried by ACE (Also Toyota) Rental Car. You may have booked and paid for it online, but these guys will not honor your reservation. Yes, I do know of all the ** of renting cars in Costa Rica but this office is abusive to the level of criminal.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I had a reservation at your Charlotte Airport location from July 5 to July 9. When I picked up the car on the 5th I asked for a one day extension. When I went to return the car on the 10th the office was closed and there was no place to drop the car and key off. The service rep who did my extension failed to notify me that this would be and that I would be charged for 2 extra days, which is dishonest business practices!

When I returned the car today, July 11, I tried to explain the situation but they said there was nothing they could do. I then called customer service to explain the situation and the rep was very rude. I was disconnected then had to call back and explain the situation all over again. The new rep transferred me to the same Charlotte Airport location that I was standing in! This is the most unprofessional car rental agency I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Unless a acceptable resolution occurs I will never use your services again and neither will anyone have in my family.

Original review: July 2, 2022

Sorry this is so long, but there is a lot to this horrible experience! My wife reserved a car with Ace-Rent-a-Car at Los Angeles airport for 13 days beginning 27 June 2022. She reserved through VIP Cars because of their lowest advertised rate for an unlimited mileage sub-compact/compact car for fuel economy, important with the current exorbitant fuel costs since we anticipated traveling over 1,000 miles. My poor rating goes for both Ace and VIP Cars who captures customers through their advertisements! I wish we would have read the other reviews of similar experiences elsewhere by previous customers, even posted within the past month from a number of locations across the country!

We started with an "on-screen" agent who informed us that their system had "selected" a "van " for us with only a "limited" mileage allowance because we had a "local" California driver's license. I have rented cars for over 35 years in CA and many other states, and my wife has specifically rented at LAX 1-3 times a year for the past 10 years and we have never heard of such a thing. The agent was absolutely not willing to accommodate our reservation request so stated on our rental voucher for "unlimited mileage" with "2-5 doors", "4 seats", and "big enough for 2 big suitcases". Yes, the van met those descriptions but with only a "limited" mileage allowance and certainly it was not fuel efficient as was our primary need! It was not at all per our reservation request and subsequent expectation!

Instead of accommodating our request, the on-screen agent told us that we could cancel the reservation since we had not paid anything yet, and create a new reservation with the current day's rate! Yea, that makes sense - don't honor their advertised low rate and screw the customer with the current rate to give them their reserved request! (I'm glad we did not pay anything in advance because other reviews seemed to indicated that they were stuck and had to accommodate Ace! I will now monitor our credit card on file to be sure they don't bill us!) Because we could hardly communicate with this on-screen agent due to the distracting background noise, and we were getting nowhere with our request, I asked to speak with a person face-to-face which they would not allow due to the waiting line of other customers!

I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was refused by the apparent agent-in-charge! A "heated" discussion ensued as I warned the waiting customers of their poor customer service practices. I was then told by the agent to leave the property or he would press charges against me - and what "charges" might those be I wondered - getting angry because they were being rude, disrespectful, uncommitting to honor our rental request and expectation, and threatening me if I didn't leave? So we left and got into their shuttle van for a return trip to the airport parking hub from where they had picked us up.

The agent then came out and told us that we could not take the van because it was for customers only and we were not customers! Again, heated discussions ensued and he continued to threatened me with charges if I didn't leave "his" property, even after we had exited the van and were standing on the sidewalk in front of the property. He insisted that we walk down the street! Upon my request, he refused to give me either his supervisor's name or his own name, and responded instead with a derogatory comment that I would probably not even be able to spell it!

My wife and I both took pictures of him with our cell phones so we could identify him with his supervisor. A customer waiting in the van to return to the airport told us that she was appalled by the way we had been treated! A friendly employee gave us the supervisor's name who I have tried to call, but he never seems to be in. Fortunately, we contacted a competing company and got everything we that originally requested at even a lower rate, with no restrictions due to our "local" CA driver's license! With company representatives as the one we encountered and the complete lack of any professional customer service, I will never use either Ace-Rent-a-Car or VIP Cars again, even if they are the only rental available!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I had a reservation for May 24th-May 31st. I picked up the car on May 24th and drove it approximately 5 miles to the resort. Parked the car and returned to the car and it would not go into gear nor move. I tried to call the company to get assistance. It took 5 individuals and the resort concierge calling repeatedly for 1 hour before there was an answer at the car rental office. I explained the problem with the car and was told that a mechanic would have to look at the car before a decision would be made to replace it. The mechanic arrived with the same type of car. The replacement car was dirty and smelly. The exterior of the vehicle was damaged. When I asked the mechanic to write down all the damage on the document he did not. HIS UNWILLINGNESS TO WRITE DOWN ALL THE DAMAGE WOULD ULTIMATELY CAUSE ME TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGE WHEN THE CAR IS RETURNED.

I was told that this was the only car that was available and I could accept or cancel. I elected to cancel. All of this was done within 2 hours of picking up the car. I received a cancellation email from the ACE rental car on May 24th at 5:09pm. I called the charge company that day to notify them of the problem. At that time, the charges were still pending. I was told to call back in 2 days. I called back on Friday, May 27th and learned that ACE rental car had submitted the rental car expense and there was still a pending hold of $300.00. The pending charge was for the deposit.

DO NOT RENT FROM TOP DRIVE/ACE RENTAL CAR. The car was returned within 2 hours. There is absolutely no reason why the rental company should submitted the charges and still have the deposit pending. There was sufficient time to cancel the credit card charges. This was the first and last time I will rent from this company. I have had great experience with Enterprise and go back to this company. Reduced car rental price do not mean you will save money. I lost time and money while on vacation. Again, DO NOT RENT FROM TOP DRIVE/ACE RENTAL CAR. I HAD TO DISPUTE THE CHARGES WITH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Was offered a refund by ACE but they decided not to refund the $500 extra charge with them having an agent misleading what they had told us upon signing. This was at the Las Vegas location. No one would refund us, called Corporate Center Richard who assured a refund of the $500 but never did. Filed a claim with the BBB and they never replied to it properly.

Moreover, they said they would look into the video evidence based on what was described but never did. Filed a complaint with the BBB. Filed a complaint with their corporate office. Filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The business wanted to manipulate the situation to only offer 50% because their agent would lie to us to get our signature.

We told ACE's Customer Experience Manager we booked on Priceline. He reviewed the charges and have never made any false statement. He said he would refund on Monday since it was a Friday and he apologized for the experience. However, he didn't get back to us with a refund. instead, upon follow up, he had decided to ignore, and keep us in the dark, and while other associates promised the customer experience manager would get to us. One time it was connected, ACE Customer Manager just hung up.

We were assured that the $805 was a security deposit that would be fully refunded. We asked ACE to look at the footage and they said they would but they would not get back to us based on the video footage of what was communicated. ACE looks to get you to sign anything just to steal from customers.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Updated on 06/02/2022: No one has responded for the horrible experience my husband and I had with the lemon we rented from ACE. What a horrible 2 days we had! Car shut down on the highway dashboard lights up with warnings. Thanks.

Original Review: Car shuts off twice in the rain. Couldn’t start on the Thursday 19. We were able to go back to the hotel we were at the following day. Warning signs lit up the dash board about CVT??? Reps not concerned about safety! Horrible experience May18-22. No one offered to pick us up.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Worst car rental experience I've ever had. So many hidden fees that can easily surpass your actual rental price. Be very careful and do not trust the company representative at the counter. Their only goal is to steal from you as much as they can. I would rent from any other company although it's the same everywhere. Save your time and money and rent from another company.

ACE Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

ACE Rent A Car has grown from a neighborhood car wash into a rental company with more than 350 locations worldwide. It focuses on top leisure destinations for vacation rentals.

• Easy rewards program: With the ACE Rental Genius program, for every dollar spent, participants earn points. As the points add up, customers can earn a higher tier, letting them get eight percent off instantly. There are no black out dates for rewards program.

• Points for prizes: In addition to instant discounts and higher tiers, customers can spend their accumulated rewards points on products like Xbox ONE and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

• Valet service: ACE offers valet parking and fast shuttle service at airports to make travel easier and less stressful.

• Reservation look-up: If travel plans change, customers can easily find and adjust a reservation with their confirmation number and email address.

• Early booking: Many companies only take reservations six months in advance, but with ACE, travelers can reserve a vehicle up to a year in advance.

• Car Selection: Most locations offer economy cars, compact sedans, full-sized cars and luxury cars. Some locations offer minivans, 12/15-passenger vans, SUV’s, trucks or specialty vehicles.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

ACE Rent A Car Company Information