1.12/5

Last updated: April 12, 2018

267 ACE Rent A Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

I rented a car from ACE Rent a car in Atlanta. Nice new car. Only issue was it had a small dent on the driver's side which the guy noted on the inspection form. The car was on full and I returned it on full. They are charging me $600.00 in damage and $17.00 for fuel. And the manager who works only at night won't call me back. I've been trying to reach him for 2 days now. Buyer beware!!! Don't use ACE Rent A Car.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2018

I booked a car with ACE car rentals for a week and got a price $146,34 a week with estimated total with tax and other fees $214.34. When I pick up the car they charge me $524 and told me that I will get a refund the rest when I returned the car. When I returned the car they charge me $ 324.79. That was $ 110.45 more than the original price. That is the only company that charge so much more than the original booking price. Never again ACE rental.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 31, 2018

Got the best deal for the dates I was traveling to Denver. Realized their operations are not 24 hr at Denver airport so did call customer service what if my flight gets delayed. I was told I can get the car next day. When I went to pick the car next morning I was told my reservation got cancelled as no show up. I tried to explain what their customer support said and they were so reluctant to hear. Please stay away from this rental company. From the Ace rent a car facility they look more like a airport parking company rather than car rental company. Stay out of this company guys!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Reserved full-size car. Have copy of reservation as proof. Upon arrival was told Ford Focus, compact, was only vehicle they had. Only choice offered was Ford Escape for $40 a day, twice my reservation amount. Car interior was filthy. So much for ACE ”We’ll get you a clean car statement.” Then I received a ticket due to license plate tags that expired three months ago. Rent 30 cars annually. This is the worst car rental company I have ever experienced.

Updated on 03/29/201: Lack of response after they replied to original review. I believed they were taking action but they did not. Four voicemails later at number they instructed call and no response.

Original review: March 4, 2018

As a Travel Agent I decided to try out Ace Rental in Las Vegas just to see if some of the negative reports were factual...they are. Upon arriving, they basically force you into getting their Liability Auto Insurance to cover you while you are using their car if you do not have proof of insurance on you. I have never been forced or bullied into getting Auto Insurance from any other rental agency... I promise you as a travel agent, I will not be sending any clients to you and nor will you be getting my service again either. I would rather use UBER or a taxi if I could not get a Rental Car before I would ever use you again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My credit card was charge an $1000.00 for damages I did not incur on the rental vehicle. Poor lighting and dark color of the car prevented the attendant or myself from noticing a dent on the roof and side roof over driver’s side door. The receiving attendant identified the damage once I returned the vehicle. He made remarks that the damages cited on original paper work was not present on car but the damage to roof and side were not noted. I assured him this was the first time I notice the damages. To make a long story short, I was charged with the damage. I wish I would have researched the reviews before I gave them my business. I am in fact disputing this claim.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I had to pay $34.99 per day (for 5 days) towards the personal, renters and supplemental liability as I didn't have the hard copy of my visa privilege credit card insurance. It was not indicated on the confirmation email that I need to bring the hard copy to show as evidence of that insurance at the time of pick up. I never experienced this with any other agency. I need to get $ 174.95 reimbursed by the agency. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Ace Car Rental Orlando worst ever experience - I have been renting cars in Florida for a number of years. We arrived in December to pick up our car from Ace. When getting out of the shuttle there was a family yelling as they had rented a minivan for the 2 adults and 4 kids and they did not have one for them. :( Upon getting to the counter ourselves we were asked about extra insurance, I gave my Insurance slip and said I have coverage with my company. The agent then proceed to tell us we had to have proof of loss, and without this we would need to purchase the insurance because the proof of loss they were looking for is if the vehicle went down it would cover the rental cost.

We did need to call insurance company. They spoke to them for half an hour trying to explain and we actually had coverage. My niece was not so like she had to pay the extra $150 to get insurance on the car. When asked to see a manager a gentleman from the back come out spoke to us for two minutes when in the back. When I asked to speak with him again they said he was on a conference call and couldn't come out and sent a young guy out to speak with us who is maybe 18 years old. I would not recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Typical bait and switch company. Poor customer service. I reserved a vehicle, or "Type", of vehicle on a recent trip. The vehicle type was reserved for a set amount. When I arrived for my vehicle, I was not even offered a vehicle remotely close to what I had reserved. Then it was double the price. Please use someone else.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Friends please never ever rent a car in Goldcar, Rhodium Car Rental or Ace-Rent-a-Car. (same company in Europe.) Be careful hiding fees and after we return our car was an extra fee for cleaning the car for 150 euros and 50 euros plus the gas cost of a half a tank when the tank was 7/8. Worst option to rent a car (do not believe in the low cost price). Please use other companies, I used Europcar and Firefly Car Rental before with no problems or hidden fees. Please share! In extra fees was around 600 euros.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Documentation was apparently done at 1:59 pm. After inspecting the car went back in to report deficiencies, as I drive off the parking lot noticed the windshield had a stone chip. Immediately went back in to bring it to their attention. I did not get out of there until around 3: 00 pm. When I brought it back I had my realtor follow me to continue our discussion (so I could return the car on time) as I had unfinished business. Took a peek inside and did not want to wait in line up. So I came back out to finish my business with the realtor. Eventually someone came out and took my documentation and inspected the car for return. By the time I was done with my business went in to sign documentation and it was 2.19 pm so they charged me an additional day at $88.40. I did not noticed until I got to the airport, but when I tried to call back to explain no one wanted or had the time to hear it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Booked a car ahead of time. Traveled to Vancouver airport to pick up. Waited at the shuttle stop for over an hour and half. More and more customers started to gather. Everyone waited to no avail. Called local number many times, no one picks up. Called their corp number, the operator is rude, and tells you there is nothing he can do. One Discount (their partner) shuttle came twice but said he doesn't pick up, only drop off. Last I know, one family rebooked with Route, others hitched a ride with this nice driver for Enterprise shuttle to get to the Ace counter. Don't know if they ended up getting their cars. I booked thru rentcars.com. Ace never even emailed me their confirmation number, and they don't recognize rentcars.com confirmation number. So I couldn't find out if they charged me by that time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

DO NOT RENT CAR HERE at Ace Rent A Car in Vegas. It was my first and last time. They charge you more than what you booked online. They lied to you about sending email receipt. They are nagging about selling you insurance and full gas tank even after you repeatedly say NO. You will have to take two shuttle bus trips to get to a crowded shopping mall where they operate. If you pay tips, it eats up your saving... if there is any saving at all. The office is unprofessionally set up in a small room and they don't give you receipt when you return your car. I contact them over the phone and nothing has been done to adjust my bill... This is a Vegas tourist rip off scam...

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I had a terrible experience with this company and will never rent from them again. First, the car I requested (midsize car) was not available when I checked in and the only choice was a large pickup truck. Secondly, the truck was unsafe. There was a huge crack in the windshield and the parking brake did not work. (The car slid backwards twice.) Lastly, there were many added fees that were not advertised and I paid roughly twice the estimated cost. Horrible check in counter (in Denver), bad customer service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We arrived to a double wide to rent a mid size SUV. Only 1 person working, long line. We finally get to the front where we got a larger vehicle, Ford Expedition, great! So we thought. We go to the vehicle and it was filthy, the front and rear of the vehicle had minor damage. I went in to tell the lady that it wasn't even clean and there was damage (I took photos of the damage). She tells me that's fine, but I went to tell her the vehicle was dirty and that the windshield had black tar all over. The girl tells me they just replaced the windshield (window was dirty, definitely not replaced).

Ok, well I guess I will go then. As we start the vehicle it says, low windshield fluid, as we all know when it snows and there is dirt on the road it is a necessity to have window fluid... We continued our drive, didn't last but 30 mins and had to pull over to get fluid for the windows. Next thing, I got pulled over 2 times, luckily never got a ticket, but I was pulled over for the driver side tail light being out. They apparently don't do inspections on their vehicles. Also, one other thing, the window I mentioned earlier, it didn't fit properly which is a hazard, had major wind noise. Worst company ever rented from, this place should be shut down immediately.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Quoted a price of $97.97. They charged my card $112.97. They told me use their gas program which would save $.20 per gallon to fill the car upon return. They said they would upgrade me because the car I was supposed to receive an Altima was not available. The car was dirty so I did not take it. They gave me a Sonata supposed to be full size car. I returned the car with around 6 gal in the tank. I was charged for 18 gals $2.19 per gal. The car has an 18.5 gal tank (39.42). Gas close by was $ 2.28. So I was overcharged $15 on the rental and $13.14 for the gas that's $28.14. When trying to discuss the problem they were rude and would not discuss anything.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Office Las Vegas was a dark back room in the back of a strip mall. Cars was dented, scratched and not very clean. Was forced to purchased very expensive insurance from them. I have 2 full policies that cover me. But because I did not carry my full printed policy with me they forced me to buy theirs. The insurance was as much as the rental. Was a rip off from the start. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I had a full size rental car on reserve at the DIA Ace RAC location on October 27. When I arrived the wait in line after getting off the shuttle was 1 hour 20 minutes. They were out of cars and most of the people in line were going back to the terminal to rent from other rental companies. ACE said I could get a 15 passenger van for the same price. I went to look at the van and it was totally blocked in and they were not willing to remove other vans so I could get it out. Also it needed cleaning. I went back to the office and they said they just got a Ford Expedition. I said I would take it. The Expedition was very nice. I returned it on October 29 and turned it in. It is now November 27 and I am still waiting for the $200. refund of the deposit I paid on my credit card. It is not a debit card.

I have talked with the offices in Florida, Denver, and Indianapolis several times and have been referred from one office to another. When I did get through to Denver they said the problem was they had changed credit card companies and there was a backup in getting refunds out. Each time I called I was told they are working on it and I should have it within a week.

Today I was told by Christina in the Indianapolis office that Denver is an independent location and my deposit should have been refunded by now, however she said I am on the list to now have the refund within another week and the reason for the delay is because they switched credit card companies. She told me that only the Denver location can authorize the refund, however on the 16th when I last spoke with Jeannie from Denver she said Allison in Florida was working on it. I have been unable to contact her and have left messages on the message line for a call back within 24 hours. Still waiting to get one.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I booked this through Travelocity. Obviously they showed up in the search as the best deal for a Minivan with unlimited miles. Unlimited Miles was prominently displayed in the search and in the confirmation email. However, when I arrived to pick up the van they notified me that in order to qualify for unlimited miles I would have to have a return airline ticket from Saint Pete Clearwater Airport. Otherwise I was capped at 100 miles and could not leave the state. This was then pointed out to me in small print that you could only get to by clicking on an obscure link within the email. Due to the situation, I was forced into having to pay an additional $80 for the miles that I needed to get to my destination. Classic bait and switch. They used the excuse that they were a "family business" and then blamed it on me booking through the third-party travel site. Really?!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Showed up to rental office at 10:00 pm only to be told that all that was available were “15 passenger vans” or “for an upcharge of $7 per day we can give you a pick-up truck.” I had gone through my contract with a fine tooth comb... "Yaris or similar.” They would not budge, meanwhile others were getting cars. They then claimed part of the problem was because I booked through a “third party provider.” I booked through Orbitz, why should that make a difference? My contract was with Ace. It was awful, stranded with my two kids at 11:30 pm. No compassion, total rip-off! Never again!! They were condescending, rude and liars. Orbitz should completely disconnect from Ace.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I went to Denver on vacation and rented through this company, first the shuttle took longer than fifteen minutes, the car I originally booked weeks in advance and put a hold on and was promised they didn’t even have so I was given something else. A 200$ deposit was taken and promised to be refunded within 3-5 business days, I called after that and was told 7-14 business days and hung up on. After the 14 days I was told there’s a glitch in their system so another 7 business days I would have to wait, and they can’t do anything about it. Horrible customer service and corporate help. I would never suggest this company to anyone or use it ever again. Completely dissatisfied with this unprofessional business they are running.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

This is one of the worst companies my wife and I have ever encountered! Even though we had never heard of them, we decided to rent a car from them in Queens, NY because they appeared on Expedia so we figured they must be a reputable brand. What a mistake! This company preys on people through a combination of lies, bait and switch tactics and deceptive business practices. They were rude and unprofessional throughout all of our interactions with them, and they basically lie at every turn in order to con people into paying more than they should pay.

Unfortunately, getting a beat-up car with really low pressure in one of the tires was the least of our problems. Among other things, they made up ridiculous policies that aren't clearly communicated in order to coerce you into purchasing their "optional" insurance coverage under duress, they lied about the original fuel level and mileage on the vehicle they gave us, they asked us to electronically sign things that refer to external documentation that they won't show you, they won't let you speak with a manager unless it's convenient for them and they didn't tell us they would be closed when we returned the car leaving us potentially vulnerable to even more frivolous charges, which is why we took photos and videos of everything. Ultimately, this company doesn't have an ounce of integrity in them and I would recommend using literally any other rental option that you have available to you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

My main objection is the rental I booked on Travelocity was a total price of 206.19. However my total charges for the rental was 354.63!!! The rental site was several miles from the Las Vegas airport and required 2 car rental shuttles to get to the strip mall location. At 11:00 pm the strip mall was very dark and the ACE car rental "office" was in a lobby setting with a cardboard sign of VERVE Car Rental LLC.

There were 3 representatives with no identification or uniforms in this dimly lit lobby area storefront. They tried to upsell me to a different car. They charged me a 100 dollar refundable damage fee. There was no instruction on the car other than they showed me the trunk release. Upon return they told me at the return station that I would get an email receipt and refund of my damage deposit and the shuttle was leaving for the airport. The entire operation appeared shady and unprofessional. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM ACE car rental in Las Vegas. Stay with a national carrier.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Scheduled car for pickup at Denver airport. Found out at pickup that office did not open until 1 hour after airport opened for flights on day I was leaving. Could not drop car off with keys. Had to be day before cutting trip a day short. Cancelled at check in desk. Got name and office number and paperwork showing cancellation. Called HOME office and confirmed cancellation. Called 20 days later and confirmed cancellation. Got billing on credit card and it was still on the card. Called again and confirmed cancellation. Got Synchrony Bank involved. Continued to get bills. Bank said they could not do anything because ACE showed no cancellation after three confirmations. My card finally paid ACE in full even though I showed them documentation. That was suppose to make me feel better. That did not but now they have been cancelled as my card and I will not use ACE again under any circumstance so yes, now I feel better. Avoid ACE at all cost.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Upon giving my credit card, drivers license and insurance card they asked me for my declaration from insurance company. I said I never heard of that and also that they would be charging my card a $300.00 deposit. Very rude and not friendly. Their driver was. I proceeded back to airport and for $8.00 more daily dealt with a reputable company. National, no problems.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

We made reservations for a small 4 door car. While waiting for shuttle at airport we froze and they took forever. Never answered phone when we called. Once shuttle arrive we barely had room for everyone. We arrived at the ACE rental and they did not have the car that we reserved. They were overbooked and ended up giving up a Dodge Minivan... which is way worse on gas. The van was filthy. We couldn't even look for damage spots due to how dirty it was. We got the manager... as we complained he kept coming up with excuses and had the nerve to tell us that the van was better on gas than a small car. And then told us that because we're in Denver Colorado that they can't wash the cars. We will never come back to this rental. Thanks for putting a dent in the start of our anniversary trip.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We booked a rental car thru ACE car rental for $180 for 5 days a Toyota Corollary. We get there and we got a Volkswagen. Then the charges were way over the amount on my email. It was $334 plus the $180. The car we got was dirty, as we drove it down the freeway for 20 miles it was shaking so bad in the front end the steering wheel was shaking. So we took it back got another Volkswagen. Very dirty, the windows were so dirty we had to pull over and clean to see out of. Day 3 the temperature light came on and we had to add water to it. The gas tank was almost empty but they charged us $39 for it on the bill also. They did not care what people had to say, we were not the only ones upset on a Friday. I will never rent a car from unknown place. One guy went to the manager and he didn't care, pretty much said screw you. They did not care about our complaints. This company was far by the worst experience ever on renting a car. False advertisement.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Contacting the company alone was a horrible experience. I was told by customer service twice that my deposit was being credit to my account and it would be credited to my account in 14 days. It is now 1 month later and after talking to the manager he tell me that’s not true. I rented my car online for $331 after all their hidden fees and charging you for insurance. I’m paying $600 for a rental. I specifically told salesman I didn’t want anything extra on my rental. I will never rent from this company and will spread the word how shady and unprofessional this company is. DO Not rent from ACE!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We booked our rental for just over $100.00. When we arrived to pickup the vehicle it was not disclosed that the price had gone up. When we received the vehicle there was no gas, the tire was low in air, and it was later identified the plates were expired. We later realized the price was significantly more than we booked the vehicle for. We tried calling the location and no one answered the phone. We left several voicemails and never heard back. We tried calling the main number and all they would do is transfer us to the location we had already tried calling. It was the worst car rental experience ever.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I reserved a rental car from ACE at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport location. I reserved the car for two days. The total due at pick-up was quoted at $137.98. This covered the car, insurance and unlimited mileage. I arrived early. The customer service representative arrived early also. She was very unfriendly. When 7 am arrived she asked for my name. She pulled up my reservation. She took all my personal information. When it came time for me to provide my credit card details the customer service rep asked me where I was going. I told her to Ft. Rucker Alabama. She said "Okay well you have up to 300 miles free then it is.29 cents a mile."

I asked her why and her response was "because you are taking the car out of state." I said the confirmation I received told me it was unlimited mileage and did not clearly say anything about a mileage fee (mind you this airport is right on the border of Alabama). She said "well it was in terms and conditions you agreed to online." I was shocked. She also told me that there was a $1,000 deductible for their insurance, and that she was going to have to charge my car $360+ dollars just to release the car to me. To say the least I was shocked.

I ended up going over to National Rent a Car which was right next to ACE. They also have Alamo Rent a Car. I told them what happen to me at ACE and their response was that they get a lot of customers from ACE because of the same issues. Alamo set me up with an upgraded car, unlimited mileage, full insurance coverage and great customer service for a total of $202 out the door. They were great! All I can say is "BUYERS OUT THERE BEWARE" when it come to advertised products and services from ACE Rent A Car! What a scam!

ACE Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

ACE Rent A Car has grown from a neighborhood car wash into a rental company with more than 350 locations worldwide. It focuses on top leisure destinations for vacation rentals.

• Easy rewards program: With the ACE Rental Genius program, for every dollar spent, participants earn points. As the points add up, customers can earn a higher tier, letting them get eight percent off instantly. There are no black out dates for rewards program.

• Points for prizes: In addition to instant discounts and higher tiers, customers can spend their accumulated rewards points on products like Xbox ONE and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

• Valet service: ACE offers valet parking and fast shuttle service at airports to make travel easier and less stressful.

• Reservation look-up: If travel plans change, customers can easily find and adjust a reservation with their confirmation number and email address.

• Early booking: Many companies only take reservations six months in advance, but with ACE, travelers can reserve a vehicle up to a year in advance.

• Car Selection: Most locations offer economy cars, compact sedans, full-sized cars and luxury cars. Some locations offer minivans, 12/15-passenger vans, SUV’s, trucks or specialty vehicles.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead for vacations, business travelers, temporary workers and those who want a wide selection of vehicles.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

ACE Rent A Car Company Information