2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

ACE Rent A Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ACE Rent A Car?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I got in around midnight and took the airport shuttle to Ace which is located off-site of the JAX airport. I was never given the opportunity to dispute this (they just put in a $5000 claim citing "slight damage") but the car was given to me in the dead of night and the lighting is not very good in this off-site location. It's actually not a great area and a little scary and I just wanted to get out of there to be perfectly blunt. But I was later told that the car was damaged when I returned it. First of all, so many of these cars at Ace Car Rental are pretty worn out. Once again, just my opinion. Initially, the "slight damage" bill was for $1100 dollars but then a "new bill" was created where I had to pay 1750 out of my pocket and my insurance company paid the rest of the "new" 5000 bill.

If I didn't pay this they were referring this to collections and they were charging an additional 30% fee guaranteed to destroy my good credit. There was nothing I could do. The agent was not nice and basically said "pay us or we will destroy your credit". Once again, I still don't know whether I did the damage but that just doesn't seem to matter; I owed them $1750, no questions asked. I thought they were being unethical but I got this confirmed by two insurance agents who stated the following:

"This company (Ace car rental) is not operating in a fair business manner. The charges that they are requesting are not reasonable. We really do not know how to advise you, possibly if they charge your credit card you could contact the credit card company and dispute the charges, so maybe they can charge it back to them." and "They are charging you the cost of doing business. They cannot even explain these cost. When we asked to provide a breakdown they could not, They cannot explain the Admin Fee or how they calculated the diminished value. They are charging an appraisal cost, which is their cost of doing business." Also, "diminished value is not recognized on first party claims in the state of Florida, which a rental is considered. So that should not even be charged."

Now you know why when I go back to Jacksonville, I will be getting my car from one of the well known chain companies at the airport. I tried to support the "little guy" and I will with other ethical companies, but I am not going to make this mistake again with Ace Car Rental. I am also sharing my experience with the travel companies I use, the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs and the Florida State Attorney General. This is my opinion based upon my horrific experience. Date of travel: January 2020

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: July 22, 2020

Rented a car from Denver airport, they suckered my bf into upgrading to an SUV since we were going to the mountains (my friends rented from Enterprise and their rep didn’t mention an SUV at all). The check engine light came on while driving to Estes Park & the vehicle was shaking. We called and asked them to bring another car. We were told to check the oil and go to the store and buy oil. The customer service rep was being rude over the phone and did not want to send someone to us In the mountains with a replacement car. A car was to be dropped off at 10:30 the next morning and it was after 1:30pm when they brought the car, the fleet manager advised that exact car was in the shop the day before we rented it for the exact issue we explained.

Lastly, when we returned the car the shuttle driver and my bf ended up in a small verbal argument as my bf was checking the receipt to ensure accuracy while the driver yelled at us to hurry up and get on the shuttle or he was leaving us. If they offered us a free rental there is no way we would accept anything from Ace Rental, the absolute worst rental experience and customer service ever experienced.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I would not suggest that anyone rent a car from this company. They do not explain their contracts or provide pricing information when you rent a car. Even when you have an agreed upon price they charge you double the price. I will never use them again. The agents at the Tampa Florida airport should be ashamed of themselves for cheating people.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Terrible and I want my money back.... I rented a car from ACE on Friday at 630 pm and when I got there they told me that the car they were going to give me has been in a car accident and another car wont be available until 9 pm that day or I could upgrade and get a car right away. So I ended up paying more because I needed a car. So when they finally gave me a NISSAN suv that smelled like they loaded it with air freshener trying to mask the smell of cigarette smoke. I didn't really think anything about it until the next day when my family and I got back in the car.... The car has been sitting all night in the driveway windows up no air circulating and when we got in the car it smelled so bad it was unbearable... The car smelled so bad of cigarettes that we had to return it Saturday at 2:36 pm.

Ace representative did not care about my situation. #Ace didn't want to give me a refund for returning the car early, they didn't want to accommodate me with another car and a very rude associate by the name of Marly Rose assistant manager. I could tell they have had this problem before because all her responses were very canned, robotic and she did not give a shit. I will not rent from #ace again and I will spread the word through social media about this bad experience.... #aceisaripoff #acebadrentalcompany #acebadrental

Original review: June 9, 2020

We rent a car in Orlando from March 14 to March 20. Didn’t use it too much and when did always paid toll by cash. Unfortunately, on the last day all the tollbooth attendants were removed due to coronavirus. After using up all our change we had to follow advise posted on the roads “please, drive through, we’ll bill you later”. We were ready to pay to the ACE company when returning the car, but an attendant told that it was up to OnePassToll company: “if they don’t charge us, we won’t charge you”.

A month later, surprise, not only $2.50 toll but also $25 penalty! My husband call toll company directly and been told that admin fee had been added by ACE. In her reply to our complain Jamila **, Executive Administrator said they cannot waive the admin fee for “toll violation”. But it was NOT THE VIOLATION! We DID NOT run the toll booth willingly. ACE Orlando paid $5 to the toll company and pocketed $50, (there were 2 toll booth). Shame! How can you lie like that!?

Resolution response: June 8, 2020

Thank you so much.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Please do not be fooled by the low prices that ACE RENTAL CAR, they have hidden prices, $ 54 for additional driver, $ 56 per toll, and $ 300 of a deposit that none of them let you know, a dirty car and with the smell of cigarettes, and the most painful thing is that the ACE Owners are AVIS BUDGET GROUP, you ask to speak to the manager, and they tell you that they are going to call you, sit down and wait, everything is a lie. You finally paid double.???

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have dealt with bad car rental experiences before. I believe bad experiences are normal for discount car rental companies. However, this was by far the worst car rental experience I ever had in my life. Hear me out, I'm trying to help unsuspecting customers. I started off excited about getting a great deal on a 4WD mid sized SUV for my winter skiing vacation. When I arrived in Denver, ACE had a longer shuttle wait than their competitors, some who had 2 or 3 shuttles come before I got picked up. Oh well, no big deal. Next when I got to ACE, I was one of 3 customers to get dropped off. I waited for around 30 minutes before talking to a customer service representative. At this point, I'm still not annoyed, I've had worse. When I finally get to talk to someone, I am informed that the car I reserved is not available. Also, since the drive train is not guaranteed for reservations, I need to pay about $100 more to upgrade to a 4WD vehicle if i want one.

I reluctantly take the upgrade since I'm going into the mountains and I'm left with no other option. Rather than escort me to my car, the rep points westward and gives me some paper with a license plate number. I scour the parking lot with all my luggage and I don't find the car. I do find a car that happens to be the same model I reserved just sitting there though. I already charged my card for the other rental and finalized the paperwork at this point and I'm late to meet my friends who all got their rentals and are at a restaurant already, so I get my Hyundai that's coming out of the car wash (it was not in the lot where I was told to look for it because it was still being cleaned).

I used and returned my car. The rest was painless enough. Two months later, I get a random charge on my card for about $60. I call to find out why and I am immediately put on hold after explaining why I'm calling. I'm on hold for over 90 minutes and I know the normal business hours ended 15 minutes ago. I'm sure other people out there could tell a worse car rental story, but for me this is rock bottom. I would never deal with this company again. I hope you don't deal with ACE either.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I am a 69 year old woman who lives in a basement. I have limited income. My sister lives in Florida and has terminal cancer near the heart and it can not be operated. She does not have much time to live. I sacrificed to go see her. I rented a car from Ace rental in Orlando, Florida. That was the worst thing I did. I left my small wallet with my credit card and $110.00 dollars. After repeated calls I spoke to Kevin, he told me he found the wallet. I asked if my sister in law could pick it up. He told me that his supervisor told him that the only way to get my stuff was to send them a stamp with a return envelope. They sent me $73.00 dollars. The supervisor, Jamila, supervisor refused to speak to Kevin to verify the amount of money in the wallet.

It's a shame that people can be such thief. Maybe I should be happy they sent $73.00 dollars, but I know I will never rent from ACE rental car again. Bad business. Bad people. It's not about the money. It's about the way I got treated me. So many other things happened that all I can say is DO NOT RENT from ACE RENTAL CAR in Orlando, Florida.

Original review: March 6, 2020

2/17/2020 Worst experience ever. I will NEVER rent from ACE ever again. I got to Orlando ACE location at 7652 Narcoossee Rd b, Orlando, FL 32822 at 12:15pm and I left with a dirty car at 2:15pm. I cannot blame the employees, they were doing the best they could. It is the company. There were 3 people working the counter upon arrival, after about an hour one of them leaves, never to return while I was there. You had to pick a number upon arrival, the waiting area was packed with people who all looked distraught, I had number 26, they were on 4, there was no place to sit, luggage everywhere, small children and tired parents. It was not a welcome to Florida experience.

I prepaid for my car and had all of my paperwork completed and I bought the insurance to speed up the process, it still took 20 minutes to process me, makes no sense. Upon my discussions with the desk, and he was frustrated, I was advised I could not use my Sunpass, they wanted me to rent their Sunpass, NO WAY! This has never occurred to me, all other car rental agencies allow customers to use their Sunpass. If had I known I would of never went to ACE. I rent cars all of the time, this is ridiculous. I had to wait outside because the 3rd party company one had 1 individual receiving and sending cars out. He was running around like crazy, I felt sorry for the workers. They were so busy they were not cleaning the cars, no time. Worst customer experience ever, if I could give you a zero, I would.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

After reserving an automobile TWO MONTHS IN ADVANCE, my wife and I rode the bus (much further than the other rental agencies) to the Ace Rental Company near Denver Airport! After standing in line for nearly an hour, we showed the agent our reservation numbers. He seemed to be irritated after he saw it (maybe because we looked for the Best Rate available that far ahead of time), and after we gave him our Credit Card, he asked where we were driving this auto!? I told him we had business in Cheyenne at the Wyoming Legislature (approx 100 miles away). He instantly told me that we were not allowed to take their automobile out of the state of Colorado!!??

I told him That the Wyoming line was only about 80 miles away, while the Nebraska Border is only about 60, and the Kansas Border isn’t that far either!!!? He would NOT rent us this auto!? I STILL can’t find a thing in all of the brochures, nor agreements given us by Ace/Via Priceline about this requirement!? When I did speak to someone at ACE’s Complaint Line about my complaint, the woman I spoke to got very angry, and hung up on me!!!

When I called Priceline, I was routed to someone in The Philippines who didn’t care either. I have rented cars in nearly Every State in the US, and have never heard of such a thing. We had to take the bus ride (cold, snowy, and overloaded), back to the airport, dragging all our luggage to another bus, to another rental agency (Budget), where we paid double for a much smaller car, and were warned that we couldn’t be late “by even 5minutes”, or “we would be charged for another day!!!? Budget told us that they would’ve given us a better rate, had I BOOKED IT EARLIER!!!?? I will NEVER again rent another auto from either of these companies-Ace, OR Budget!! Felt like we had landed in a “third world country”, the way we're spoken to by employees at either place!!!

ACE Rent A Car author review by Lauren Fix

ACE Rent A Car has grown from a neighborhood car wash into a rental company with more than 350 locations worldwide. It focuses on top leisure destinations for vacation rentals.

• Easy rewards program: With the ACE Rental Genius program, for every dollar spent, participants earn points. As the points add up, customers can earn a higher tier, letting them get eight percent off instantly. There are no black out dates for rewards program.

• Points for prizes: In addition to instant discounts and higher tiers, customers can spend their accumulated rewards points on products like Xbox ONE and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

• Valet service: ACE offers valet parking and fast shuttle service at airports to make travel easier and less stressful.

• Reservation look-up: If travel plans change, customers can easily find and adjust a reservation with their confirmation number and email address.

• Early booking: Many companies only take reservations six months in advance, but with ACE, travelers can reserve a vehicle up to a year in advance.

• Car Selection: Most locations offer economy cars, compact sedans, full-sized cars and luxury cars. Some locations offer minivans, 12/15-passenger vans, SUV’s, trucks or specialty vehicles.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

ACE Rent A Car Company Information