Find the Best Steel Building Companies
Compare Reviews for Top Steel Building Companies
Read 193 Reviews
General Steel is a company that has been supplying pre-engineered steel buildings for more than 20 years. The company works with a network of local contractors to help customers construct and assemble buildings.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (800) 745-2685|
Read 192 Reviews
Armstrong Steel is a company that creates steel buildings, and its headquarters is located in Greenwood Village, CO. The company has sold steel buildings since 2006, and it employs 50 people.
Read 11 Reviews
This company uses American-made materials for their steel buildings. They partner with local contractors who understand your area to install pre-engineered steel buildings for personal and business use.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (800) 745-2685|
|Olympia Steel Buildings|
Read 67 Reviews
Olympia Steel Buildings is known for its cost-effective steel building options. The company uses 100% American-made steel and is located in McKees Rocks, PA.
|Curvco Steel Buildings|
Read 8 Reviews
Curvco Steel Buildings has been making steel buildings for customers for more than 38 years. The company is known for creating steel buildings for the military and other parts of the U.S. government.
|Braemar Steel Buildings||Read Author Review|
Founded more than 35 years ago, Braemar Steel Buildings sells pre-engineered steel buildings to all 50 states and parts of the Caribbean. The company, headquartered in Englewood, CO, creates completely customizable structures.
|Heritage Building Systems||Read Author Review|
Founded in 1979, Heritage Building Systems is one of America's longest-operating pre-engineered steel building companies. The company is known for creating completely customized steel buildings.
|RHINO Steel Building Systems||Read Author Review|
RHINO Steel Building Systems is located in Denton, TX. The company has been in operation since 1998, and it ships from locations across the United States.
|Rocket Steel Buildings||Read Author Review|
Known for creating arch-style buildings, Rocket Steel Buildings is a company that sells pre-engineered buildings with 100% American materials. The company makes buildings for industrial, residential and commercial use.
|Worldwide Steel Buildings||Read Author Review|
Worldwide Steel Buildings was founded in 1983 and is known for creating steel building kits. The company is headquartered in Peculiar, MO, and it creates a range of steel buildings, from residential structures to riding arenas.
How to choose a steel building company
Types of buildings offered
There are several different sizes and styles of steel buildings, but most companies only specialize in building two or three types.
- Size: Some steel building companies provide a broad range of sizes, from garages and small metal barns to huge warehouses and horse arenas.
- Function: Many steel building companies focus on structures meant for particular functions, such as multi-bay commercial garages, factories or agricultural buildings.
- Custom construction: Some steel building companies maintain design staff to tailor their standard offerings for clients with very specific needs.
When purchasing a steel building, consumers need assistance during two key phases: first, during specification and purchase, to ensure that what they’re asking for is appropriate to their needs and building site; and second, during and after assembly to correct any deficiencies and resolve misunderstandings. Be clear about how this assistance will be offered before you select your provider.
- Online customer service: Some companies have extensive online support systems, such as live chat, email-based customer service and detailed online forms to help customers make their purchasing decisions.
- Phone-based customer service: Companies that provide phone-based customer service to consumers are often available during business hours to speak with consumers who need help.
- In-person customer service: Some steel building companies send representatives to help customers who are buying steel buildings; these representatives can survey land, discuss design wants and needs, help unload and construct buildings, communicate with contractors, or help troubleshoot problems after the buildings have been built.
Range of services offered
While steel building companies primarily manufacture steel components, they also offer services beyond supplying the parts for a steel building.
- Building components: Many companies simply sell a kit of parts that can be assembled by a contractor retained by the client.
- Finished structure: Some companies also pair those customers with a contractor certified to construct the building. Be aware, in this case, of who is providing the warranty on the building so you know whom to contact if anything goes wrong.
- Additional services: Some larger companies offer additional services offered, such as custom design and temporary building rentals.
Some steel building companies have obtained certifications that speak to the quality of their products. Multiple organizations assess companies and grant different types of certification.
- Metal Building Manufacturers Association: MBMA works with the International Accreditation Services (IAS) to inspect steel buildings for quality assurance.
- American Institute of Steel Construction: The AISC is a technical institute and trade association that has created guidelines to evaluate every step of the steel building construction process.
- LEED certification: People concerned with the environment can look for a steel building company that uses LEED-compliant products in their buildings.
Building materials used
There are different types of materials available for the exterior envelope of a steel building.
- Heavy-gauge steel: Envelope panels are typically corrugated for flatness and strength, and coated with weather-resistant paint. Make sure that a sealing finish process is part of the construction.
- Alloy-coated steel: Galvanized or Galvalume is electrically coated steel that offers a longer life in coastal locations where there’s corrosive salt in the air.
- Recycled content steel: Steel made from recycled content is often made up of 80 percent recycled materials, making it an eco-friendly option.
Manufacturers vary from one another in the technical abilities of their design and manufacturing staffs. Some use consulting engineers to design a series of components, while others maintain an engineering staff to verify specifications and offer custom designs.
- Limited prefabricated designs: Some companies simply sell a limited selection of steel building designs for very standardized needs, such as sheds, barns and storage units.
- Customer-submitted designs: There are fabricators that can accept designs from clients, verify the engineering specification and manufacture the components for assembly by a contractor hired by the client.
- Complete custom design: Some steel building companies have the capabilities to design, manufacture and, in some cases, construct the facility in a turnkey process called design-build.
What are different types of steel building companies?
Traditional building companies
Traditional steel building companies simply manufacture and deliver the components for a complete pre-engineered structure. The client hires a contractor to unload and assemble the buildings. If you buy from one of these firms, you’ll be responsible for hiring the individual contractors to build, electrify, plumb and insulate the building.
Custom building companies
Custom building companies work with clients to tailor a design to their needs. The parts are fabricated and shipped to the site, where they are unloaded and assembled by a contractor hired by the client.
Full-service building companies
Full-service building companies design and build the structure as a turnkey operation.
Who needs steel buildings?
Individual property owners
Individuals who are looking to purchase a steel building may want to use it on their personal property for a dwelling, storage space or shelter for animals or equipment, among other uses.
Most steel buildings are constructed for manufacturing, fabrication or storage in industrial parks or commercial zones.
Farm owners use steel buildings to house animals, as well as to store tools, products and equipment.
Many government organizations, such as firehouses, police stations and highway departments are housed in steel buildings.
Rental storage facilities have specific building requirements that are met by many steel building manufacturers.
Steel buildings FAQ
- How much are prefab steel buildings?
- The price of prefab steel buildings ranges from approximately $5,700 to $23,000. The cost will vary depending on the size of the building, as well as any extra options you add on to the building, such as:
- Wall panels
- Skylights and wall lights
- Frames and trim
- Gutters and downspouts
- What sizes do metal buildings come in?
- Metal buildings typically start at 30 feet by 40 feet and expand by 10-foot intervals to a maximum size of 60 feet by 100 feet.
- Are steel homes cheaper to build?
- Generally, steel-frame homes are more expensive to construct than wood-frame homes. However, when exploring the cost of a steel-frame home versus a wood-frame home, you can break it down into short- and long-term considerations:
- Short term: Steel-frame homes cost about $9.50 to $11 per square foot, as opposed to wood-frame homes, which average $1 to $5 per square foot. Although the cost of wood fluctuates and the type of wood determines the final price, wood construction is typically cheaper. Wood-frame homes are also easier to modify, and far more contractors are familiar with working with the material.
- Long term: Steel-frame homes have several long-term benefits that wood-frame homes do not. Steel-frame homes typically have lower insurance fees, as they are less prone to structural damage from weather, rot, insect infestations and fire damage. However, keep in mind that steel-frame homes are more difficult to insulate and may suffer from rust.
- Can steel buildings be used for homes?
- Yes, besides homes built with steel frames, full metal home kits are becoming more popular. Homeowners looking to build their own homes sometimes use steel metal home kits.
- What is a modular garage?
- A modular garage is a garage delivered to a building site in two separate pieces. From there, an expert crew will assemble the pieces to form the final product. Depending on where you buy, the modular garage company may or may not include the cost of assembly in the overall price.
- What is a metal building erector?
- A metal building erector is a professional who is knowledgeable and experienced in the process of assembling metal buildings. These individuals are thoroughly trained in the process and have an extensive understanding of the building materials, equipment and labor necessary for the successful completion of a building.
- How long does it take to build a steel building?
- Typically, the process of building a steel building can take anywhere from three to seven days. The time it takes to construct a steel building depends on the following variables:
- Building size: Larger buildings take longer to complete.
- Crew size: Larger crew sizes can work more efficiently and complete the job faster.
- Structure complexity: Simple structures take less time to complete.
- Weather: The forecast can drastically change the building schedule if the weather is unsafe for crew members.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.