1.00/5
Based on 6 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a steel building provider?

6 Armstrong Steel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I was told my building would be $68K with a $9k rebate bringing it to $59k. The rebate disappeared. Yours will too, I guarantee it. Then I get a quote for an additional $98k in "upgrades" which include engineering required for permits. I tossed most of that, but the building still cost me $98k. Two large steel structural beams were not delivered. The company will do absolutely nothing to get them to me, but they have offered that perhaps they will quote me on "replacing" them.

This company is bait-and-switch. You'll never get your deposits back. Your building will be several months late. To get the rebate you must sign off on the engineering of your building within 30 days and accept delivery in 60 days. This will never happen, you will never get that rebate. And "customer service" - meaning Kade and Kitty - will be insulting to you. Get your building from Behlen or General Steel. Deal with honest people.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I tried to buy a building from this company in but after they received my down payment their customer service was nonexistent. They missed my require delivery date and they refused to work with on getting this building purchased and in refunding my deposit after I lost all faith in them. I had one manager tell me that one salesman didn't respond to phone messages that he only responded well to email messages. I thought what kind of company requires you to learn how to deal with their quirky customer service failings. I don't believe any positive reviews I read about this company after my feelings with them. I submitted a review with the Better Business Bureau about this company and nothing happened and even my negative review was deleted. I don't know who was paid to make that happen but I was very disappointed by it.

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Armstrong Steel gave me a quote with a great price of ~$16,000 for a 30x35' building; I was given pre-contract assurances that the building would meet Michigan code. When I entered into a contract to furnish the building, the sales lady said, "Wow, what a great deal you got." Once I was locked in by contract to purchase the building (with a deadline for engineered drawings prescribed by my Township), new building plans and an updated contract were provided adding almost $8,000 of additional building charges to the cost. I had considered sourcing doors and other accessories from Armstrong Steel but I found that their markup was several integer multiples of similar items from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I made the mistake of specifying insulation which was also added to the cost of the contract (another ~8k). In a rush, I signed off on the additional charges because my deadline was looming and I didn't have time to argue. I thought I could revisit some of the choices (mainly the insulation later). Armstrong Steel's delivery of engineered drawings caused me to miss my deadline with my Township (which caused undue stress) despite my heated attempts over several weeks to request stamped engineered drawings.

To make matters worse, when I got back in touch with my project manager, she said, 'Sorry, you are under contract to purchase the insulation and the additional building charges.' Their lawyer soon after sent me what I perceived as a threatening letter. So my "great deal" turned into doubling the cost of the building with contractually binding terms and a lawyer making threats to me. In my opinion, Armstrong Steel has no concept of customer management and employs dishonest tactics to get you hooked on the idea of their building all the while engaging in dishonest up selling. I am out the 4k deposit I made when I received the initial quote for a steel building of $16k.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Promised a structure for x amount but kept adding to x amount. I am still trying to get my deposit back which is $5200 for a $20500 20x40 structure. Okay so I called and I desperately needed a building for my disabled husband in my backyard to live. Los Angeles County gave me the okay to build. I called Armstrong Steel and spoke to a Richard. He said I have a 20x40 for 25k but let me ask in the warehouse if that Easter sale is still on. Waiting waiting... gets back on. “Yes I can get that building for you for 20k if you put down a deposit by Friday" (it was Wed at the time). He then says, “...if you can wait 3 months I can have it shipped with other kits and it will be free shipping.” It said sounds great. Everything sounded great.

I told him about my husband and I don’t have much money and I have to take this from our savings account and it will take a few days to get all the money together. Richard didn’t care. He said, “Have it all ready by 5pm Friday to lock in this price.” I said, “Does this include designing and cutouts?" (because I read about steel buildings before) and he said yes, all that is included along with a project manager. He said I had nothing to worry about and that they had built many homes in Southern California before. Okay. Then he says, “Did you get my email... let’s go over the contract together so you don’t have any problems. Did you mark where to sign it...” Okay. He says, “You are all set.” THAT WAS MY DOOM RIGHT THERE. HE WENT THRU THE CONTRACT THAT HE SENT ME THRU email and went thru it with me to make sure I signed it and that was it. I WAS OVER.

I went to Los Angeles County and they said make sure they had an ICC approval code. Of course I try to call back Richard but no way of touching him and then I email Kyle who sent me the paperwork and he said he couldn’t help me. Then the project manager Trish emails me another contract to sign and this one is 25k which was the layout I asked for with the cutouts and the extra steel to reinforce it. So now I owe them 20k plus 25k… So the building that was 20k including shipping is now 45k after cutouts with project manager. I can’t afford it now and of course they won’t give me my 5k deposit back. No one is calling me back about my money. I was counting on this building for my disable husband who lives in our garage. Please read everything before you SIGN. Please ask for everyone’s phone number.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

Salesman told us everything we wanted to hear. We had been researching buildings for the last 2 years. Armstrong Steel is very quick to get papers out to sign and you feel as though you will be taken care of, then everything goes downhill. We signed for a building and put down a down payment. 10 days go by before we hear from a project manager. Project manager has us make corrections to a drawing and send in a list of requested accessories. After a week of no response to email and phone calls I was able to call our project manager using *67 before his number. He answered right away. He had questions about our drawing.

After trying to explain to him multiple times that that wasn't even a drawing we were interested in, I emailed the paperwork again. With no response our project manager sends us docu-sign agreement for another chunk of cash. Only problem was just about everything listed was incorrect sizing, wrong insulation and additional parts never requested. After 2 emails and multiple phone calls we received a response. We asked to speak with his boss to find a new building manager and have been refused multiple times. Can't even get the contact info. They are only interested in pushing buildings out the door. Their salesman, who then contacted me 1 1/2 months into the purchase about buying the same building again, will tell you they are on record pace this year and are swamped with work.

Please let this be a big red flag to you as I didn't pay attention to it. You will not get there Armstrong Value promise "Work, for us, is about educating customers so they're able to make the best and most informed decision". We are first time buyers of a shop with friends in construction to help assemble, but not the full knowledge to do everything. We have received absolutely zero help or advice as to what are building is even going to be used for or if there may be a better option. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Steel?

Original review: May 23, 2015

Signed a contract to buy a steel building. Once you give them 4500.00 deposit it all changes. This company through the process lied and gave wrong information. Which they say was a training problem. They will not change the contract back to what I signed. I am working with the BBB and they can't get them to call them back.

Armstrong Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

Based in Greenwood Village, Colo., Armstrong Steel has become a leader in the steel building industry. The company has been recognized for its commitment to customer service and high-quality materials.​

• Knowledgeable: Armstrong Steel has knowledgeable steel building experts, and they not only build steel buildings, they also educate potential customers about the science and value behind them via an extensive resource guide on their website.

• Building quality: The American Institute of Steel Construction sets a limit on the weight load a steel member can hold; Armstrong Steel only loads 80 percent of that weight onto each member meaning a building’s components are never weighed down, so the building lasts longer and better withstands the elements.

• Excellent press: The company has been positively reviewed in publications such as Forbes, Inc. and the Denver Business Journal.

• Prominent clientele: Armstrong Steel works with some of the country's most outstanding and reputable businesses, including Microsoft and Dow, proving their reputation as a leader in the industry.

• Community outreach: Armstrong Steel is committed to charity and community service, donating time and funds to causes such as the Denver Botanic Gardens, United Way, Boys and Girls Clubs of America and Peyton Manning Children's Hospital.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Armstrong Steel Company Information