It's that easy Request Information
4.24/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

61 Armstrong Steel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 4, 2019

My project with Armstrong is a 40 x 60 x 16-foot tall steel building that's mixed for business and personal use. We're gonna use one side for our garage and the other side for a shop. Armstrong is reputable. I've heard of them before and that's why I used them. I went down and met with them, and we looked over different types and pricing. What we're doing is that we sold our house, bought land and are having a house and a building built. So we picked out the color of the house then we picked out the same color of the building.

I was comfortable throughout the process with Armstrong and if I had any questions or concerns, I could always get ahold of the sales rep so it wasn't a problem. When I call them, they would put me through to him and I would talk to him. They pretty much told me what it was gonna be – what I was getting, what it was gonna take and when they would have it delivered. They were good except when they gave me a price on the building, I didn't realize that it didn't include garage door, main doors and windows. I thought the full price was for the full building. Those were extra but it's not that much. I'm not too worried about that.

They were also a little off on the delivery date but I don't think that was their fault. They were getting hammered. It was right before Trump put the steel tariff on so they were trying to push it through so we didn't get an increase in price. That helped out there for sure. The building is up now and I've got it wired for electricity and everything else. We've got all our stuff in the building too so when we can move into the house, we'll just move our stuff out of there and move into the house. Then we'll clean up the building and start using it for a garage and a shop. The quality of the steel is also good. We've had some crazy weather lately, a lot of wind, and we haven't had any problems at all.

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

A friend of mine and his wife are building a new home just down the street from me and he found the Armstrong Black Friday sale last November. He contacted me because we both wanted garages, and he said he found a steal. He found Armstrong Steel online. I wouldn’t know one steel from another but it’s good. We've had lots of bad wind up here in the last couple of days, and it's still standing. However, I heard from the guys putting the thing up that the parts were not numbered or identified in any way for them to be able to look at the instructions and say, "Pick up part 22 and attach it to part 71." So, that was a complaint on the part of the workers. They were having to guess by looking at the pictures what the different parts were. Otherwise, everything went together just fine. I'm inside the garage right at this moment looking and it’s good.

When Steve, my friend, ordered his building, he was told that he could pay for it when their house was sold. When I called to order the building, they didn't say anything about financing. It was my assumption that I would be treated the same way, only it wasn't discussed. I didn't have $40,000 to plunk down and I had to sell my house first. My friend was told he could pay when his house was sold and I thought I would do the same thing. I should have asked about financing, but it seems like that would have been more of their main topics to talk about. They kept hounding and they were telling me that I gotta pay but I couldn't until the house is sold. I told them that the minute the house is sold, they would have their money. The minute it sold, I contacted them, and I told them the check was in the mail. So, it was a problem of not being upfront about what was gonna go on with the financing. Otherwise, I could not complain about anything.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I searched online and Armstrong Steel was what popped up. I had made a couple of phone calls to a couple of other places and they seemed like they were pretty much in the ballpark. They told me that I was getting a little bit of a deal on the steel when I bought it and that was what sold me on going with them. I started it back in October and the design process went pretty smooth. The only thing I really struggled with was that I wasn't aware of all the additional stuff that Armstrong had to buy to complete the building and how much all that would actually add up to be. I really wasn't aware that the stuff didn't come with the building that I was buying.

When they first designed the building, they told me a price. I was pumped on it and I wanted to do it. Then all of a sudden, after I put a deposit down and after I had gone through that initial design process, they said that it would be x amount of dollars for installation, x amount of dollars for the little closure strips to make sure animals don't get in between the side panels and the roof panels, and a bunch of little knickknack stuff. I figured since I was buying a building, the installation and the closure strips to make sure animals weren't getting in were part of it, but it wasn't.

It would've been nice to know that stuff ahead of time 'cause I might've gone with a different building as I completely broke my budget doing this. But I wanted the quality steel and I wanted the industrial strength building. The building got delivered about a week ago. The quality of the steel seems really nice. I haven't had a chance to put it up yet but it all looks like it's there and in decent shape. Some of the panels were bent from being strapped down, but I'm a metal worker so it's nothing that I can't just straighten up with a hammer.

The people there were all really good. I had one little hiccup when they wanted to deliver the building. Because of money, they said that they were gonna do consolidated freight so I had a little bit of a going back and forth with one of their employees. I was a little ticked 'cause they told me that if I delay delivery, I was gonna lose my deposit. I ended up having to call them back and say that they didn't tell me that stuff so it was not fair that they would take away my deposit or my rebate because I delayed shipping a little bit. A guy called me back and said that I was right, that they didn't tell me until after the fact so they delayed the shipping for a couple of weeks, which really helped me out. I kinda had to fight for it, but once again, it is what it is.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I've had wooden pole barns in the past, and they were okay. But I've got an old barn on my site that's fallen in, primarily because wood fails quicker than metal, given the same conditions. So, I've got a newer wooden pole barn, and it's doing fine. However, the building that I am and have chosen and am purchasing is all metal, because I anticipate that I need to have it last for the duration of my son, and perhaps my grandson's useful career. I wanted some longevity.

Armstrong is the first steel building I bought, and I have high hopes. When I called them, they announced that they had left 30 contracts for the year at a 25% contractor discount. I thought that that is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I better not let it pass. I had awesome interactions with the rep at Armstrong, and every time I have called, their assistants help me. My sales rep answered every question I had, and even when I could not get answers from other people in their organization, she went out of her way to go find them and get answers because I needed to know.

There was a math error on one of the forms. It was not a big deal and something that we all knew existed, but she worked with them to get them to correct it and resubmit the form. Math errors turn into accounting errors, which turn into legal errors, which turn into courtrooms. It's necessary to nip stuff like that in the bud when everybody can agree that it's still an error before it has gone too far. She was tremendous in facilitating that. It only took her a few minutes.

The overall quality of the service at Armstrong is good. But we're only halfway through this. I have to finish my portion, which is to complete the permit, and Armstrong needs to see that the building gets shipped to me undamaged, which I anticipate won't be any problem, because I've got a professional construction crew that will offload it and set it for me. They're gonna also erect the building. Still, considering the 50% that I've been involved in, I'm extremely satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Armstrong has been a lot more prompt with their responses compared to other steel building businesses. Also, I noticed that a lot of the other companies had had higher fees because they provided all of the services along with having the material dropped off. However, I can supply my own contractors. Armstrong beat others very well in terms of price. They already had a bulk amount of steel in the US before the new steel taxes. So, I was able to get those for the older price during the time of my purchase.

I messaged their reps to ask for a basic quotation as I'm doing a 40 x 60 foot steel building. They gave me a rough estimate on that and from there, we pursued further to where they were able to send me rough diagrams of the building to the specifications I asked them. I really liked that the reps very accurately took down notes of what I said, and the first PDF they sent me was dead on perfect. From there, I did the downpayment so that I could secure the old price on the steel that they had available. That helped because I went on their website after and noticed that there was a major price change. It wasn't just a gimmick to get me to do the downpayment. Instead, it saved me a lot of money.

My favorite thing that they did was that I got three full pamphlets, and then three full booklets of all the blueprints. Those had all the specs and everything for the county. They've already gone and looked at the place where I'm building, and made sure the whole building was to code spec on the materials, angles, windshear and snow load. They made it so simple that all I had to do was take my packet to the county and put it on the desk. They looked at it for 10 minutes and just asked me for my fee and approved the blueprint. It was the most simple experience with the county ever to get any building project done. It has been an amazing experience with Armstrong Steel. I've been super busy with other projects on my property and communication of their reps has been really good and really on key to where it hasn't thrown me off with any of my other projects. The process has gone really smoothly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Armstrong Steel?

Original review: May 15, 2019

Armstrong Steel fits the bill for what I needed for my personal farm property. But they're not very thorough. Their business model kinda sucks because they try to get you sucked into buying without a complete job price and then they come in afterwards and start marking up everything. They tack on the prices after the fact at a super high rate. It would be better if they would get the full information instead of selling you the building before they get it. The people were nice but it was almost like a used car sales approach that they used.

But I'm happy with everything else. I did my own foundation and structural work as far as that goes and then erected the building. They did short me on some materials that I had to get from another location, and then they ordered more materials than I needed on other stuff. But overall, as far as the final end of the project, it's fine. The quality of steel seems pretty good

Original review: May 14, 2019

Armstrong Steel has a local sales office and it’s a nice place to do business with. I got my materials there building a workshop and I don’t think they can improve on anything. They worked with us well, and gave us all the information we needed at the time.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I had a great experience talking with Lynsey on the phone. She was very knowledgeable and professional. She listens to what I was looking for and able to extrapolate from there and send me information relevant to my needs. Although I am not able to complete the structure at this time, I hope to do business in the future with Armstrong Steel. Again Lyndsey thank you for all your help. Steve **

Original review: May 13, 2019

Armstrong is a known quality building and Allie ** did an excellent job representing the company and delivering timely customer service. We are building a venue on naturally beautiful land and want a clean but elegant look to enhance the surroundings and not upstage it - Armstrong will accomplish this objective.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Lindsey ** was amazing. She listened and we figured out, what my dream shop consisted of. I believe that this was natural for her and she should be teaching others what World class customer service looks like. Thank you :).

Original review: May 11, 2019

We have a herd of cows and I'm making a cabin barn and a vet clinic on the end. I'm working with Armstrong Steel. There was the architect, and the one that sold, and somebody else. I was so busy and I just wanted to put up a building quick and then, things got changed around. I didn’t get it done after all. But it doesn’t matter. The concrete has been poured and it must be time for something to happen. They told me what was happening and everything ended being just like they said. I looked at the siding. It looks real good. I’m satisfied with them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The sales rep from Armstrong Steel that I spoke with was really good and she ordered me some steel. They kept me in the dark about when it was gonna be shipped but I had some people, so it worked out good for me. I got the building put up and the man that built it said that he has built a lot of them and he hasn't built anything that strong. It has 10-inch beams and I’m well-pleased with it. It's money well spent. I got a deal on it although they pestered the hell out of me a while because I had to talk to a certain person and I couldn’t talk to anybody else. But I overlooked that. Armstrong Steel did a great job. It was well-built and it stands up to the wind. It’s gonna be a fine home when I get it fixed.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Jeff ** was very professional, asking and giving all the questions and answers needed to ensure I had the right information to give to my client. Made for a great experience on the first time through with your company. I will continue to use him in the future and trust his judgement on issues that I am encountering.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Excellent customer service. Jeff ** & Brooke ** have been amazingly responsive & accommodating looking for cheaper options and redesigns. I would definitely recommend Armstrong Steel to anyone else. They provided detailed quotes within hours of discussions and took budget limitations into consideration.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I rebuilt my shop using Armstrong Steel's product. It was a fire rebuild. I found the company on the internet and their sales rep was average. This was a one-off experience with Armstrong for me and it was okay. The quality of the steel that I got from them is okay too.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Great response and respectful conversation will have me buy from Armstrong when the time comes. Jeff was very understandable of my needs and respectful to my time frame of my project. Can't wait to call Jeff back to buy my building.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Jeffrey ** very knowledgeable with your products. Was able to give me very exact details and insight as to building Construction to help me make an informed decision. Inform me of discounts and availability all to my liking. I do hope I'm able to do business with this company in the future. Sincerely Joe.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Response was professional, courteous and well done. Jeff ** was thorough and I was well satisfied with how everything was handled. Our funds would not allow us to proceed with the purchase, we needed some expensive equipment as part of the new building.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The problem I’m having is I need to get a stamped, certified monolithic pour and I have no idea where I can get one of those. I have contacted customer service at Armstrong Steel several times, but they haven't been really helpful. If they had been helpful, I would have had it done. I live in Commerce City and my cabin where I’m gonna put the building up is in Fairplay. I thought I was just gonna be able to get a permit, pour the foundation, and put the building up, but there is a big problem and it might be Park County where the problem is. They got a bunch of rules and regulations. Also, every time I ask for something from Armstrong Steel, the price would go up.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We looked into Armstrong Steel as there were a lot of good comments about them. We used them for business, and their sales rep, Laurel, was helpful to us. However, this was the first time that we did something like this, so it did not go smooth for us. But in the end, we were satisfied with the result which was what we were looking for. So, we are happy with the product so far. We were thankful that Armstrong helped. Their products are now very good and many people like this product.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Teresa ** was very helpful and knowledgeable. She answered all questions and was eager to help me with my project. She promptly send out a quote with a snapshot of what the building layout would look like. Very informative and willing to go the extra mile to help me with information.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The building projects that I pursued with Armstrong Steel were a little of both business and personal. The price of their product was right so I chose them for my projects. Overall, their sales reps were 98% efficient. The quality of the steel that I received from them is okay. I have not assembled it yet because of the weather. It has been raining. But in the next several months, I’m gonna try to put it together.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I looked up Armstrong Steel online and I liked the way the building looked. They had a different coating or whatever was on the steel itself and it wasn’t red iron. I got a 40x50 building from them and everything was of good quality. I didn't have the greatest experience with the sales reps though. I had to lock what the amount was gonna be for my building and after they did the blueprints, I couldn't change up or add anything without it costing a lot of money. One rep, Trish, tried all she could to help me get stuff changed up but Armstrong Steel should go over in more detail about the buying process and let people know about the price in the beginning. Armstrong didn’t help with the process and their building was expensive when I could have gotten one closer to where I live and a lot faster for less money.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was very satisfied with the service and attention provided by Jeff ** in working with me to ensure I got the building I need for a competitive price. I will be following up next month when I am ready to buy.

Original review: March 19, 2019

There were some initial disparities between what the telephone contact person asserted and what was actually necessary to purchase additionally. We were told that doors were included in the original price. When we found out that they were not, and in fact, cost additional money, we were ready to cancel our contract. I wrote a letter intended to be delivered to executives. They responded with special pricing for trim and doors. The team who settled me down was excellent. My brother-in-law bought a lesser model from one of your competitors. Quality was notably absent from his and wonderfully present for ours. The difference in my costs were very well worth it. We are still in the process of finishing it since we are doing the work ourselves. But I am excited to have an amazing barn that will do so much for us.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have looked at at least four companies but I liked Armstrong Steel's variety, the options that I could get and the size. The building was 40 x 48 and I couldn't find anybody local that would go that big. We must've gone 12 feet. Also, Armstrong Steel's website looked nice and their reps answered all the questions I had. The cost was okay and I'm satisfied with the quality of the building.

The only issue I had was when they sent the pieces out. When I got them, it took me a while to get a contractor out here in California. They're based in Colorado and didn’t have anybody out here that could build it for me. They delivered in February of last year and I couldn’t get to build it until around June so it sat for awhile. I thought I'd try to build it myself but I ended up hiring a contractor that knew a little bit about them, and we ended up building it ourselves. As I was looking at the plans and trying to get questions answered as we went along, it was a little harder than I thought it would have been. The customer service after the sale was lacking.

Also there were supposed to be two pieces for the right and two for the left but what they sent me were four pieces for the left side. The pieces were the right length but the holes didn’t match up when we put them up together, left to right. I had to have my guys put them up and re-drill them so that they would fit. I didn't call them about it because we were in the middle of putting this thing up I didn’t want to wait to call them and have them send me two new pieces out. We're on a schedule and we're already late. But other than that, the building's great. It's nice, solid and steel.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We were searching online for metal buildings and Armstrong Steel came up. We talked to one of their reps and he was really helpful. He gave me an idea of what we were doing and helped me as far as what we needed. We got a standard 32 x 52 building from them and we're gonna build a house inside of it. It's currently sitting in our yard right now and it's holding up well. I'm satisfied with Armstrong Steel.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased a 30x40 steel hobby workshop. The process was very easy and straightforward. They sent me information on where I wanted doors and windows. They also gave me options on color and metal siding styles, all while making everything easy and convenient with pictures through email. They walk you through step by step of the process so there are no surprises. I will definitely use Armstrong Steel again for any of my building needs.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I am very pleased with the 50x100 metal building that I purchased thru Armstrong Steel Buildings. Placed my order, got the building and had it up and completed in 2 weeks. Very happy with the product and out where I live it takes a beating with the wind and weather and it has withstood it all. Would recommend this to all my neighbors and even a couple have bought from you all as well.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I thought Armstrong Steel's product was gonna good and their reps were nice and they talked it up. Also, I looked around at other ones, but couldn't get the delivery I wanted and with Armstrong, they got me set up. I went for it but I’m disappointed with the project. It's a lousy building with the way they have it engineered. They were missing brackets and didn't have gussets on the brackets and everything was bent. And they don’t have enough purlins in the building. The way it was set up was not right. It was built very cheaply and shouldn’t have been built that way. I put the building up and I'm dealing with it but I would tell others to go someplace else.

Armstrong Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

Based in Greenwood Village, Colo., Armstrong Steel has become a leader in the steel building industry. The company has been recognized for its commitment to customer service and high-quality materials.​

• Knowledgeable: Armstrong Steel has knowledgeable steel building experts, and they not only build steel buildings, they also educate potential customers about the science and value behind them via an extensive resource guide on their website.

• Building quality: The American Institute of Steel Construction sets a limit on the weight load a steel member can hold; Armstrong Steel only loads 80 percent of that weight onto each member meaning a building’s components are never weighed down, so the building lasts longer and better withstands the elements.

• Excellent press: The company has been positively reviewed in publications such as Forbes, Inc. and the Denver Business Journal.

• Prominent clientele: Armstrong Steel works with some of the country's most outstanding and reputable businesses, including Microsoft and Dow, proving their reputation as a leader in the industry.

• Community outreach: Armstrong Steel is committed to charity and community service, donating time and funds to causes such as the Denver Botanic Gardens, United Way, Boys and Girls Clubs of America and Peyton Manning Children's Hospital.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Armstrong Steel Company Information