Call toll free
4.20/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 15 years, Capital Steel has been providing high-quality pre-engineered steel structures across North America. Capital Steel stands behind their products from start to finish by including a 50-year warranty upon completion of your structure. Each building is guaranteed to meet strict corporate standards along with all applicable state and local building requirements. Capital Steel authorized dealers have undergone a strict interview process and consistently meet and exceed customer satisfaction standards. Contact Capital Steel today for a quote!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Capital Steel Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

I'm a dealer for Capital Steel and they're very comparable to other business with whom I've worked with. I've pursued, residential and warehouse type projects with them. Thus far, the cost and quality of the buildings we've dealt with has been good.

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

The steel buildings are of excellent quality and the costs have been very competitive. The reps I dealt with are very helpful and friendly. One of the project managers, Michael, has been great. More leads would be better, but it is what it is. I've got a couple of warehouses that I've got estimates on. We've got a pizza restaurant that's interested. I got it on the towing company that needs a storage shop.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I was looking to build my own building, then there was an opportunity to be a dealer for Capital Steel and it worked out very well for both of us, so I chose them for my business. They're a lot more customer-interactive than the other companies. Comparatively, the customer interaction with the other companies was not to the level of Capital. As far as my point of contact with the sales reps, I talked to one person primarily, but I have access to five people. It's one of the best customer setups that I've ever seen.

The types of building projects that we have pursued with Capital were for both business and personal use. Right now, we're doing three steel buildings with them. It's on our board. We're not permitted 100% yet, but we're in the permit section. So already, this fast, we've been able to procure three deals. Overall, our experience with Capital has been very good. I've only been with them for six weeks and for two months as a dealer, and I've had so much hands-on education.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Capital Steel contacted me and asked me if I was interested in being a builder, and I said yes. So far, they're pretty decent. Everything is good and I'd recommend them. I haven't gotten any buildings so my experience with them at this point has just been a lot of phone time. But I deal with the project manager and we talk pretty much on a daily basis or every other day. He gets back to me very fast in numbers and I'm happy with him. He's a nice guy.

Original review: April 12, 2019

A couple of years ago, I signed up to be a dealer for Capital Steel. I was hoping I would get some leads to help businesses here locally and and we'd both benefit from it. Their buildings are fine but the buildings we bought from other people are fine as well. We don’t see much difference in them. We won't even buy half of them from Capital Steel and General Steel because we get better pricing from other folks. That’s where we've bought our buildings from essentially. We might be a little tougher customer than Capital Steel's normal customer though. They try to sell us insulation but we can generally buy a fair amount at a better pricing than what they offer to us.

Capital Steel has also tried to upsell us. Once we totally want a building, I would tell them all I want is the building. But they would talk about sending something and they would charge us $500 to $600. I would tell them not to charge us anything. We can put them in ourselves and that's what we do. But they have one gentleman who doesn’t care for that and he's given us difficult times. I called him a ** and I told them not to have that guy call me. Other than that, they've treated me nicely and I like them. They're nice guys and they're helpful.

They do call on occasion but it is primarily to set up something for me to build for them, that they sold to someone. If we're not busy, we're totally happy to do that. We haven't got very few leads from them for us to put up a building that would benefit us a little more service than that. So it's just fair. I look at Capital Steel and General Steel as one and the same place because they call me and evidently, they've got a good and close working relationship. We have put up some buildings for General Steel and we've put one up for Capital Steel. One was a 30 x 50 and we also put up a 4,000 square foot. We have bought several business from Capital Steel that we sold and right now, we're just putting up a 50 x 100 that we sold. We also just got in and started putting up 110 x 70 that we sold.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital Steel?

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2019

This is an update to my complaint of April 2019. After my initial complaint, Bruce **, Manager of Capital Steel, Building Services Group contacted me directly to try to resolve my negative report. After discussion and attempts by Capital Steel to contact some of the leads purportedly sent to my company, Bruce offered to reimburse my dealership fees. This does not help in the financial outlay I have made to market Capitals product, but it does show that Bruce ** is an honorable man, and did the best he could to rectify my complaints. I was reimbursed the full amount of dealer fees this week. Personally, I would buy a steel building, from this man and company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I paid excess of $5,000.00 in January of 2018 to become a protected territory, "dealer" for Capital Steel, located on Colorado. Apparently they market for General Steel and a reseller. The promise was dozens of local leads that were "hot" and 100's more per month, wherever I desired them. My sales rep was mildly surprised at the first offering of leads, although later realized the "hot" interested buyer leads were in fact well over a year old. And leads whenever I wanted them? Never existed. We were told we had to sell to what we were originally given or spend our own money to market, (which by the way, I did, to the tune of $20,000).

Leads didn't slow down from Capital Steel, they completely dried up to a trickle, within one month after forking out over $5,000. We were required to request leads from our account manager, who never provided more than a few over the next 3-4 month. Afterwards, it went to zero. We however stuck to our end of the agreement and continued to make as much contact with any and all leads provided, to ensure we were following the plan, offering assistance and pricing/design adjustments to ensure we had the best opportunity to sell a steel building.

As of today, April 19th, 2019, we have requested leads and follow through by their sales staff at least two dozen times, over the past eight months, without a single return call or email response. Even the leads we ourselves generated, went unheeded or ignored when we requested a design/build quotation. If we did indeed get a quote, it was always way past any possible date to ensure a sale. Not one of the leads they provided was remotely interested in purchasing a steel building from Capital Steel. Even as a pass through with no "dealer markup" we were 30% higher than even the promised "lower than General Steel" direct to consumer pricing, where Capital gets their leads from.

End results: Capital Steel is a cheap rip-off marketing scam of a company, seeking qualified contractor/dealers to milk money from. I unfortunately fell for their scam, because they told sold me on their "exhaustive search for someone like me" sales pitch. I'm the sucker in the end, but Capital Steel; they are the quintessential proof of a "Rip-off" company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I built a shop for a guy and Capital Steel sounded like a good idea. Most of the people I dealt with were pretty nice. However, some of their stuff is kinda quirky. I didn’t really care for some of their trim. Also their products cost way too expensive. They’re like 30% higher than I can get up here and they’re not 30% better quality for sure.

Their builder assistant team also need to pay more attention to what I tell them. With the one building I sold they came back and told me that they didn't realize I was doing a certain thing and they were gonna charge me two grand, after all the contracts was done. I had to eat that because I already had the contract signed with the customer. I told them where the doors were gonna be and they didn’t pay attention. Also what they did that they charged me two grand for was about $50 worth of material. I’m not even gonna try to push their buildings anymore. If they call me and have one for me to go build, I wouldn’t build it. I wouldn’t even try to sell them. I wish I had never bought the dealership.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

The quality of the steel and the workmanship as well as the ease of assembling and erecting the buildings are a lot better at Capital Steel than other companies. These guys are really experienced as well. The thing I like about them is that we’re able to make a design and send it to James or a couple other guys then they can conceptualize what we’re actually after with the client and then it works. They’re really good with that. Just the other day, I had an experience with James and he has some serious knowledge when it comes to this stuff. We sent him a design and he was able to put some things together for us at a terrific price. The pricing is another reason we chose this company. It went really well and now, we’re hopefully getting ready to sign a deal with the client.

We do churches, commercial buildings and all sorts of buildings. We’ve done projects in Winston-Salem for a client in a wood shop. Then we’re currently working on a project at the fair ground for the City of Winston-Salem. There are also projects here in Rock Hill and we've got a project underway with the City of Charlotte, North Carolina. I always have been very comfortable working with our sales representative at Capital Steel. I've also had good experiences with their support system. I probably get on their nerves sometimes because I have a lot of questions and I do a lot of phone calls. But they’ve always been very positive with their feedback.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Our Vice President had worked with Capital Steel before and he said that was the one he would like to go with. He knew of them and had seen their product. He had built with them and he thought that they were an excellent provider. We went with Capital Steel primarily based on the quality of the product and the support that we got. I went out and met with their management and it has been a good experience. We’ve been working with them for smaller size buildings. I met with Dan the rest of the time. He made me see the advantages of Capital Steel and the support we could expect. I got a good feeling and it’s worked out that way. I would get occasional calls from him of how things were going and I would tell him where we were at.

We know there'll be a curve for us to start in doing these buildings because it’s really not a common industry around here. We’re in the hurricane alley and when you got a building that’s rated up to 175 mile an hour wind, it goes over real well here. It’s like two buildings to knock on the quality. Things lined up, the holes were in the right place, the coding was good and it was easy to assemble. I spoke highly of Capital Steel.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Capital Steel has great quality when it comes to buildings and the engineering has high standards. They have a good product and their reps were knowledgeable. They also tried to work with me on the price of some other buildings.

Capital Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

This supplier of American-made steel buildings partners with local contractors around the country. They perform background checks on all their contractors who install pre-engineered steel buildings in your location.

• American-made: Capital Steel works with only materials that are from the United States.

• Warranty: Every Capital Steel steel building comes with a 50-year warranty once the structure is complete.

• Contractor partners: Contractors can partner with Capital Steel to get customized training, engineering support, marketing materials and building discounts.

• Color choices: Choose the best color for your project using the color wheel on Capital Steel’s website.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Capital Steel Company Information