3.09/5
  • 1 star
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a steel building provider?

Olympia Steel Buildings

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Dec. 10, 2017

11 Olympia Steel Buildings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Talked with Paul. Gave huge deposit. Was told then all I needed was a concrete slab. Was told only after I signed contract that I needed to rent equipment to unload steel building. I was told anything with forks. Was told to sign a DocuSign contract that gives delivery date time frame. Blueprints were not sealed. Just a concrete slab turned out to be an engineer to seal the foundation from the blueprints. Initial estimate for the foundation was $4150 after modifications were made with additional re-bar paneling etc that an engineer would have to seal the total cost was $6400. Using a Bobcat with forks as suggested after researching top heaviness was a danger to myself and unloading the building I had to rent an industrial telehandler that would be able to safely support the load 6,000 lbs. All the fast-talking-slide-away-from-the-actual-facts presentation got old real quick and made me question their integrity and care for their customer.

When questions were asked they were 3/4 of the time diverted around without a direct answer provided. When I took the blueprints in to obtain a building permit after obtaining a land use permit, soil erosion waiver the building code department told me that no engineer would take responsibility for someones building and it was up to Olympia to seal the blueprints. Olympia is licensed in Michigan so why weren't they sealed before being sent to me? I was informed by three engineers that there would be additional charges from Olympia to seal the blueprints. Only after a statement that I would contact the attorney general of Michigan about this were the blueprints sealed only on the cover sheet and not every sheet. Thus the additional charges on the foundation from an engineer. I was told that there is a number to call anytime and in the erection process they would guide me through it and help would always be there when needed.

B.S.!!!! I have called nine times and received an answer three of those. If you don't have the amount of help to answer these calls and have one person doing the job of three or four then this is another area that is half-assed. You got my money so why would you want to simply help me when questions arise. The DocuSign really is a joke all in itself. It gave specific dates of when the building would arrive. I had to line up help upon the arrival of the building. People work and need to schedule their time off accordingly. I was told by the shipping department that the reasons, which were many, that they could not get my building to me sooner was because they were having a hard time finding a shipping company that would take the load and all shipping companies were delivering FEMA supplies to Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico after the hurricanes hit.

That is understandable to a minute degree but not every shipping company stopped delivering supplies around the country to places other than the three listed above. I followed their DocuSign crap to the tee and then when the over-promising and under-delivering was addressed I got the usual song and dance. I was told that it would be delivered late August to Early September. The building finally arrived on Halloween day. The blueprints and erection guide contradict one another frequently and the blueprints are not of high quality in explanation or professionalism. The engineer(s) that drew the blueprints up may be very proud of their work but common sense exudes that they really need to hone their drafting skills a lot better than what they think is professional.

On a brighter note the way that the building was wrapped and strapped for shipping was very well thought out. The box that the trim came in was very well sealed and the trim and such were wrapped nicely. The material of the steel components: paneling, beams, giriting and purlins themselves are very well manufactured and strong as stated. The nuts and bolts provided have structural integrity that impresses. So here it is the second week of December and the frame is up and after some variations needed in the construction the phase of rough inspection was approved. Being in a cold climate area with lots of snow the paneling and the roof will have to wait for a break in the weather. As in any other business it's success relies on their employees, training, follow-through and accountability.

I have 33 years in sales experience and am not just spouting off to hear myself talk. When a customer called me and voiced their concern on a situation I always thanked them and told them I don't know what I don't know. Hopefully this helps in smoother transactions for your future customers and provides better reviews. The only thing I was looking for was to be treated fairly using the term get a good deal. To me a good deal is a quality product, offered at a good price with great service after the sale. I'll let you decide what you'd like to address on the above items and hopefully it isn't in some generic computerized response. I don't want to read how sorry you are or what a valued customer I am because both have already been established through your actions.

Original review: March 2, 2017

First things first. Never told me that I had to rent a forklift to unload the building myself. Second they didn't send the trim with shipment. Expect you to rent a forklift again to unload. So that another $500 to rent again. So now that's $1000 to unload your building.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

Like service room a place to work, eat, sleep, store car stuff. Excellent quality craftsmanship to be respected. Buildings stand up to all weather, all conditions. Services all people can trust. Services that above the bar of customer service. Customer service you can trust. Recommend to all people the services can be trusted. 100 percent reliability that can be trusted. The reliability above all buildings. Strong strong steel you can trust layouts rooms. Trust value of each building. Value of a dollar per square foot you will love. The best buildings per square foot imaginable above all rest.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They came when expected and workers were very courteous and polite and did a wonderful on my building. They offered a great value and very timely service. They were very reliable. They showed up when expected and did a great job. Great quality work at a very good price. I would highly recommend them as a great valued company and would for sure use them again the in the future.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The experience was informative and enlightening. The work was done as scheduled and to expectations or above. Good quality product and excellent overall customer satisfaction. Installation and useful suggestions as to add ons and or other specifics were very valuable in the purchase process and throughout cold start usage of the brand. The product was definitely worth its weight as far as reliability goes. It could not have proven to be more. Withstanding all conditions and showing no wear and tear. With normal continuous usage I should well recover costs by far. The value was an immediate flag for purchase and should save money with other product protection.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Olympia Steel Buildings?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Very courteous and make sure every customer is their number one priority. Quality second. Amazing responses and speedy. They want you satisfied. They have efficient services available to meet the needs of any consumers or businesses alike. Great range of services satisfies my needs. Never had a issues or a bad review about the company. Their products are the most reliable available on the market. Can't ask for better. They are the better. For the price they charge every consumer is getting the best value. They are the lowest cost with the highest quality products. Love them. Will always be number one.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Friendly employees and they answer all my questions promptly. If you ask them something that they aren't sure about, they will find out from someone who does and get back to you in a reasonable time. Very easy to do business with. They built my structure as promised and on time. The workmanship and material was more than adequate. Nothing exceptional, but everything was functional. The materials and workmanship was as advertised and promised. Everything was explained upfront so that there are no surprises at the end. The work was done promptly and efficiently. The price is a little higher than the competitors, but you get what you pay for. They never try to nickel and dime you or try and increase the price once the project starts.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

These people will NOT listen to you about their buildings. If they offered them for $1, we wouldn't buy another one, knowing what we now know... RUN!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

They had a very friendly staff especially the customer service. You could tell they were smiling while talking to you. They were very polite and never even rushed the convo. They had so many services to choose from. They guided me through every step and gave me the pros and cons of each choice before I made it. They and their products are very reliable. I would definitely recommend them to any of my friends, family members, or colleagues. They definitely stand the test of time. Great value. You definitely get what you pay for and then some. It is hard to imagine this good of product quality for this low, low price. I was so shocked.

Original review: April 17, 2016

I am a licensed metal building contractor, with 18 years of experience. I want to share with you my experience with Olympia Steel/Universal Steel. My first building with Olympia came, was great! Right on time. Like Olympia said, with all building materials accounted for and in good condition. Josh was more than helpful. The second building from Olympia was a disaster!! The delivery was over 24 hrs late. The shipping manager had no idea where the delivery truck was located or how to contact him. Brian from shipping promised me a refund for the extra day of forklift rental. I have never heard back from him.

Shipment was missing the material checklist, assembly details, all Eave struts, C-channel for main support column, over 50 ft of base trim, jamb trim cut at insufficient lengths, Eave trim, and end caps. I have been lied to several times about when the missing building materials will arrive. I have been transferred from employee to employee. Poor customer service!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

Purchased a building from Olympia, they had it delivered as promised. They also helped with recommending an experienced contractor who was great. There were issues with some of the structural components that extended to create the eaves. These did not fit. It was very fortunate that I had a very competent contractor as he had to modify the steel extensions. This cost additional time and therefore cost me additional money for the install. Not the end of the world as it did turn out and the building looks great.

What my major complaint is the very first winter it snowed. Yes I am located in a climate where it snows, and it snows every winter. I specifically raised the concern with my Olympia salesman about the eavestroughing and was told it is very rugged and it will not be an issue. I asked for a leaf guard option as this would secure the trough along the entire length and prevent snow from pounding into it when running off. Leaf guard was not offered by them I was informed and again reassured the trough will not have issues with snowshed.

First heavy (but normal) snowfall followed by a subsequent warmer sunny day. The snow run off my 12/12 pitch and ripped the troughing apart. I was informed by Olympia this was beyond their control and must have been an unusually heavy snow with lots of ice on the roof. Not the case. 18" of fresh snow, no ice at all. I think Olympia did not account for the 12/12 pitch in their design. A more typical flat pitch would not experience the same velocity when snow runs off. Subsequent snow falls have destroyed the remainder of the trough that was damaged initially. Olympia quoted me to purchase new trough but I refuse to pay for something I already paid for. Now my brand new building looks like crap with mangled metal hanging off of it. I can't believe their ad for the Canadian market actually states "made for Canadian winters!" Definitely not!

Olympia Steel Buildings expert review by Joseph Truini

Olympia Steel Buildings is headquartered in Mckees Rocks, Pa. The company has more than 40 years of experience creating prefabricated metal buildings for customers.

• Quick estimates: Olympia Steel Buildings can give customers quotations on plans within 24 hours of submission of a form available on their website.

• One-stop shopping: The company combines steel-building manufacturing with its own construction services for single-source accountability on all aspects of designing, purchasing and erecting a steel building.

• Quality guarantee: The company offers a 40-year rust-through perforation warranty on Galvalume metal and a 40-year paint warranty.

• Finish options: Olympia carries 12 different colors of steel panels and trim.

• Sales: Olympia runs online specials on non-purchased or unused buildings and materials.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Olympia Steel Buildings Company Information

400 Island Avenue
    McKees Rocks,
    PA
    www.olympiabuildings.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use