4.73/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA.

General Steel has become the industry leader and most trusted pre-engineered buildings brand in the world by offering our customers the most experienced team in the industry and the highest quality buildings available. Our team will provide solutions that will guide you through a successful project beginning at inception through the completion of your construction project.

Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our team will stop at nothing to make sure your project is a true success!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

143 General Steel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I gave them $4800 3 years ago and was told that I could be a dealer for them. For the most part, short of a few phone calls I was never trained, given any material to help me understand the product or the program and was for the most part ignored by them. It was a complete joke and the owners should be ashamed of themselves.

Do not for any reason hookup with these guys. It is a complete scam! Don't fall for the sales pitch from Michael ** or anyone else at that company. I repeatedly asked for help and finally gave up. They assigned a few folks to me to "take over" my training but all quit and I never got anywhere, nor did they have anyone to fill their slot and step in to pick up the ball. This is for both General Steel and Capital Steel as they are one and the same...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Having Ryan ** as my Project Coordinator has been great. He has helped with every question/concern I've had. Any additional information I have requested, Ryan has answered for me in a timely manner. Ryan has worked with me through the changes I have requested. This process has been made easier thanks to Ryan.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We are a long way into our process with General Steel. First, we called in almost a year ago and were told they had a limited time sales on certain buildings. Later we found out that is a scamming sales pitch that they have already been in trouble legally for doing. Ok fine, we went on through the process. The initial engineered drawings took twice the time we were told and we had to stay on them. Finally we got them back and they (despite asking us where our windows would be and so forth), blocked our future windows with bracing that wouldn't work for our needs. They wanted us to pay almost $1k more to fix it. Um no, we told our plans from day one.

Finally we were offered to pay half of the cost they asked and we did it just to move on but we had to wait even longer for finished engineered plans. We were quoted later (by General Steel) for insulation and windows. $10,000 for regular ol' insulation. Ridiculous. It only took a second phone call to find it for half that and could keep going and get it even lower. Markups on any extras are all overpriced. There was a ton of confusion on delivery. We were told it was all coming on one truck but two showed up. We had a forklift rented and they were having trouble after we had rented it for one day if it would all be there on that day. Plus there was a big to do about who to give the items too. Another thing that made me upset was realizing that this isn't a "General Steel Building". They just contract out a third party supplier that we could have bought it cheaper directly from. That is dishonest to me.

Items came damaged which they were relatively quick to replace, items were back ordered without warning which could have made us rent a forklift for another day but we figured something else out, and items were missing (say half the bolts required). Sure, they said they would replace them but we were mid-building and didn't have time to wait. The building went together okay but it wasn't without issues. We were told they would give us a list of contractors but they couldn't and didn't. We had a hard time finding anyone who would. We got quotes for over $60000 just to erect the building from those that would. After it was delivered and paid in full we were told about the seamer rental which I feel is the straw that broke the camel’s back. We paid an upgrade fee of $8000 which included a seamer rental.

Not until we have the building and it is paid for we’re told we have to either send a $4500 cashier’s check or do an ACH debit that we SHOULD get back if it is returned and in good shape. They cost around $4000 new. I pointed out that you don't rent a car or the forklift, pay for it in full up front and get the money back if it is returned and in good shape. That is like buying it and then returning it for a refund. I don't like it. It got rude at that point and we were just put off basically to find our own seamer. All you pay for is a lot of overpromised, well advertised metal buildings that you could get elsewhere for a better price. There is a heap of dishonesty in the whole transaction.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My husband and I were discussing building a shed. Next thing I know, my father-in-law is forwarding us a quote from General Steel. I managed to be the new lead when my husband got sent to FL to help restore power after Irma. The staff has been very helpful and patient answering my questions. It has very easy.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Matt was super personable and has done an amazing job with us! Highly recommend him and this company to anyone who is looking for a company who does this type of work. Thank you for all of the help that you have given us so far!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Golf Cart Canopy for Veterans Hospital - Chris ** was very professional and easy to work with in regards to our building needs. He was prompt and helped with all items in regards to our building for the VA Hospital. We will definitely keep your company and Chris in mind for future project.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

The process of choosing the building size then adding the component options was a good flow. During the initial sale of the building, it would have been helpful to know a general average cost of these components upfront, though.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Just had to share my experience with the sales rep of General Steel by the name of Andy **. Andy is a very knowledgeable and experienced sales rep that I was glad to have connected with. We are currently launching a Capital Campaign to build a Church facility and Andy's expertise was the critical deciding factor that persuaded our Board to go with a metal building as opposed to regular construction. His answers to our questions were thorough, complete, and satisfactory. GS is currently doing the preliminary drawings and we are 110% sure they will build our new facility!! Thanks Andy, you're the greatest!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Ben really went to bat for us to get us into a General building at our budget. You guys deal with these types of purchases every day but we're doing it once and it's a huge cost and undertaking. Ben did a great job of answering my questions and helped to put my mind at ease on this project.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Shawn and Ryan and everybody have all been very helpful, and patient with me as I'm often busy and hard to reach, sorry! Most things seem to be coming together, surveyor on the way, looking forward to building!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

The salesman knew more than the other company I was dealing with, that was the decision maker. I was really close to going with the other company but your salesperson "sold me" if the rest of this process goes as well, I'll be buying more buildings for our company!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Charlie ** has been great to work with. He spent a great deal of time with me (5 months), from my first contact. We started with 1 building and ended up with 2 bigger than the original. He walked me through everything and made me feel comfortable with our company's largest purchase to date outside of our real estate. His fast responses and knowledge on the details made it a clear choice over your competitors. Thank You Charlie & General Steel.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Spoke with and ordered a shop building from Shawn ** at General Steel and I could not be happier with my experience so far. Shawn was very responsive and answered all of my questions and also provided great advice. If you're looking for a professional company and a great experience, go with General Steel.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Derek did an outstanding job at helping, answering questions, and guiding us through the process. He was enthusiastic about our building project and wanted to do whatever necessary to help. Derek was awesome, and it was a fabulous purchasing experience.

Resolution response: July 22, 2017

Well I am writing to set the record straight, a representative from General Steel called me about my bad experience in getting my building loaded at the Nevada depot in June of 2017. He was genuine in his concerns and was understanding of my frustration with the less than stellar service that I received. He definitely had pride for his company which was good to see, and also offered to pay the penalty of 175.00 I was charged by the transfer company for the lengthy loading time. All I really wanted was to be understood and have someone go to Nevada and reduce the employees' coffee cup size so they don't drag their feet for the next guy. But the cash was nice too. Thanks Bruce.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I was really excited about getting my new building. Everything was going fine until shipping day. General Steel sends me the names and numbers and address of where to pick up the building and the pick up time. I arrange a driver through freight quotes to pick it up on the exact day and time window and transport it to Alaska Marine Lines in Seattle to be sent to Alaska. A simple task for both entities one would think. The driver who was on time with his 40 ft. flat in tow sat at the loading dock for hrs. I received a call from the trucking dispatch saying I was nearing detention due to the wait time, so I called the factory contact and he assured me it would be within the hr. For the love of god it's a 40 ft trailer not a cargo ship. You should be able to load three in an hr. So obviously not ready, as I was lead to believe.

The customer service lady tells me that they took extra care to make sure all the pieces were there because it was going so far and found they forgot a box of clips. OK I call ** on that. What about the guy down the road that orders a building. Does he get the hours of scrutiny while loading his stuff too. Anyway time goes into detention so I have to pay the driver an extra 175.00 for sitting around a freight yard while the factory boy try to put a package together. General Steel would not cover this obvious error on their part. The cost isn't going to make or break me, but like Christmas, it's the thought that counts. One of the reasons we like to live in Alaska is, we don't put up with ** service and when someone is at fault they cop to it.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Bruce has exhibited excellent customer service. I've had lots of questions about various parts of the project and he treated them all as important. Every response has been timely and well researched. This has really helped clarify some of the more difficult planning decisions I've needed to make.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I have had only great service from all the people at General Steel. Derrick, German, and Billy have all been great to work with. My requirements have been first priority in all cases. Great communication at every stage of the process.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I searched for a steel building on the internet and selected GSC. When the original sales rep returned my call but could not answer my questions, I was referred to Mr. Lee **. I sent him a list of questions which we covered individually. We had several person-to-person calls with question and answer periods. I was pleasantly surprised with his ability to answer all my questions without having to go look up the answers. He even offered me his personal phone number in case I had a question when the office was closed. This is great customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Very informative, any questions that he did not have an answer for, he would find out and immediately get back to me with it. You do not know how many times I get the wrong information from a company because the reps decide to guess instead of working a little harder to get the right answer. Great Job!!!

Original review: May 22, 2017

It has been a pleasure to work with both Bob and Luke! They both have gone above and beyond in accommodating our building needs at Stadium Medical. I was very nervous and anxious to start this project due to my limited knowledge on building construction, however Luke and Bob have made all my anxiety go away with their knowledge and professionalism.

Original review: May 18, 2017

The sales team, and particularly Chris **, was extremely helpful, informative and professional. I never experienced the hard sell and was treated with the utmost respect. This was exactly the kind of experience I expect when dealing with such an important purchase. Thanks General Steel!

Original review: May 3, 2017

Brian was our sales consultant and he did an outstanding job. He was polite, informative, and took time to answer all my questions. I would definitely recommend General Steel to friends and colleagues. Thank you for great service. It is truly appreciated.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Ben was fantastic. After many delays on our part he was very patient with us. He even made himself available on a Sunday afternoon so he could be on a conference call with our building committee. A few days after the meeting one of the members stated that she felt very comfortable after speaking with Ben due to his vast knowledge and his ability to communicate with us.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Shawn from sales has been great. During my initial contact I had a bad cold and lost my voice but he was very helpful and the garage project is moving ahead. The garage is 23x23 and he assured me that it could be customized to fit the existing pad. Thanks.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Joanie and Luke have been great to work with. I feel like part of the family. Both have been very professional and made my experience with GS easy. Both Joanie and Luke are always willing to help and answer any questions I might have. GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: March 2, 2017

Still in the last stages of finalizing design - but the experience up to now has been great. Joe was very helpful in working with me on my initial sales order - and Ron as my project manager has been patient with me as I worked through some design changes I had made on door placement, windows, skylights etc. Overall I am very pleased to date with the response and follow-up.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

General Steel was a pleasure to work with. They are always prompt, they always pick up the phone or email you right back. Any questions I had they had the answers. I'm super happy with the product and how easy it was to assemble. The staff was great and I couldn't be happier with my building.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My husband and I have been looking to build a steel building and looked at several companies. We were very happy with Brian! He gave us great info, provided all the necessary details and stayed in close contact throughout the sales process. He was a large part of why we decided to go with General Steel. We are looking forward to having our new shop!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

After relying on a training barn about a 1 hr away it was clear our own would be better. After figuring out how & where put it we contacted General Steel and found it was within budget. We use the barn daily for dog training.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I built this shop myself no contractors (except the concrete). It wasn't as hard to put together as I had anticipated, instructions were fairly easy to follow. I only put the smallest amount of insulation they offered maybe should have went with more but even with the small amount even when it was zero outside it only got down to around 33 inside. It is easy to heat and I love it.

General Steel Company Information