Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA.

General Steel has become the industry leader and most trusted pre-engineered buildings brand in the world by offering our customers the most experienced team in the industry and the highest quality buildings available. Our team will provide solutions that will guide you through a successful project beginning at inception through the completion of your construction project.

Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our team will stop at nothing to make sure your project is a true success!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

181 General Steel Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 19, 2019

After considering all our options, we (the White Plains Rural Cemetery) chose General Steel to provide the building we are trying to have built here on our grounds. Despite almost 5 years of legal battles, we have yet to be given the permit from the city to build. But, Bruce ** and his associates have been so patient sending us what they could in the way of plans, even though we haven’t even been able to follow through with the order — yet! They are always available and quick with responses to my questions. I couldn’t be happier with our choice, and now we are finally in the home stretch and looking forward to building before the end of the summer!

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My experience with the General Steel Corporation was very positive. All the employees I dealt with helped me every step of the way. They explained the process and what to expect -- a 5 star group of employees and managers for sure! As for the product, I ordered a 24X30 steel garage kit with insulation kit and it was assembled by a construction company here in Tucson. Bottom line: The garage kit exceeded my expectations in both quality and in looks, it's solid, it looks sharp and is exactly what I needed and wanted!Thanks to all at General Steel Corporation!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I recently decided to build a shop building on my property. I started an internet search for a reputable company to purchase it from. Taylor ** from General Steel was the one who called immediately! She was very pleasant and needless to say extremely helpful! All of my questions were answered and I had a quote in no time. Taylor is super easy to talk to. I would deal with her again! Highly recommend...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

The sales process was excellent. Andy ** was our salesperson and he was a pleasure to work with. Andy was always willing to adjust and adapt the building to try to accommodate our budget while clearly communicating the implications of our changes. We have not completed the building design yet so we can't comment on the full cycle of the construction process, but based on the sales experience we are very pleased so far.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We initially started researching several Metal Building suppliers and narrowed it down fairly quickly after Andy ** reached back to us to lend a helping hand in our research. Andy was prompt and professional in his communication with us. We eventually set up a conference call organized by Andy that sold us on utilizing General Steel for our small project. We haven't gotten the building on the ground yet but are confident that things will continue as well as they have so far. Thanks for all your guidance Andy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Resolution response: June 17, 2019

While there still may be issues with rust on some steel components, with the help of Bruce ** and his team, I will be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses regarding the replaced trim products.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My experience with General as later discovering that Rigid is the source of the products that they sell. Oxide coatings not great at protecting their steel. Many components were showing rust upon delivery. Trim products are thin gauge and were replaced locally out of pocket due to cupping on Rake trim. So far this cost has not been reimbursed and probably won’t be considering four weeks has passed.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Taylor ** has been a great help, very kind and patient while we were trying to make decisions. No pestering to hurry and order, she let us have the time we need and to make a decision. Always pointed us in the right direction to get the info we needed to make the right decision.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I just ordered my second General Steel Building. General Steel Buildings makes it easy to complete construction projects. It has knowledgeable, responsive customer service staff, efficient customer communication, accurate delivery of inventory, and uses quality materials at a competitive price.

Original review: April 26, 2019

New garage. I had the pleasure of dealing with Steven on the purchase of my new building. I can say not only was he very professional but a great help in the ordering process. If I was in the market for more buildings I would definitely request to deal with him. He made it easy to understand all that I asked.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have ordered several buildings with Joanie ** being my primary contact. I have nothing but amazing things to say about her and the company. They have taken care of everything I have asked for! No better company to work with!

General Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

General Steel Buildings, based in Colorado, is widely regarded as a leader in the steel building industry. Operating for more than 20 years, General Steel has grown from a supply company to a full-service construction company.​

• Range of services: General Steel is a full-service company that helps clients plan and construct a steel building.

• Prominent clients: The company has proven its reputation by working with some outstanding clients, including the White House, NASA, Disney, GM and Boeing.

• Time in business: General Steel has been constructing steel buildings for two decades.

• Free quote: If clients have an idea for a steel building they'd like to buy or build, General Steel will give a free initial consultation and quote for the customers so they know how much a project will cost before they commit.

• Regular specials offered: General Steel Buildings offers rotating specials on buildings via its website, which means customers can find regular sales and value prices.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

General Steel Company Information