toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Fire Department needed a building to house its new Ladder Truck; after searching reviews on many companies online we contacted General Steel and two other companies. Not only was the General Steel quote competitive the reviews I read proved to be true, the Customer service was excellent. I ended up working with Rex and Steve **. They were both very detailed in explaining everything to me and if I posed a question they couldn’t answer, they responded quickly with the answer. Due to the weather here in Maine we requested the expedited delivery option. I am very pleased; the Customer service I received from the sales team was a deciding factor in choosing General Steel for this project.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been leasing office space for my business for many years and decided relocate. I called General Steel and was put in contact with Phillip. He has been a tremendous help working with me on different sizes and designs. He carefully listened to what I was trying to achieve, we finally pinned down the size and pricing that was well within my budget, without using any high pressure sales tactics. Prior to signing a contract or sending any money, I went to the General Steel offices in Littleton CO and met with Phillip and the construction manager, they went over the terms of the contract and answered any questions I had. Even though we are in the beginning stages of this project, I am very pleased how things have been done; I would recommend Phillip to others.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are a General Contractor in Colorado and complete projects across the state. Whenever a steel building project come up for bid, we always call General Steel first, Chris ** has been great to work with. He is always prompt on returning calls and getting competitive pricing for us to be able to satisfy our clients' needs. This our fourth project with General Steel and they have all gone seamlessly. I would recommend them to anyone. Thank you Chris.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were looking for a building to replace an auto repair facility that had just burned down and contacted General Steel. I was put in contact with Charlie **. He did a very good job. He was sure to include all of the accessory items I requested and answered all of my questions in a very timely manner. Charlie was also able to put us in contact with a contractor who is going to putting the building up. I am very pleased with the service Charlie has provided for my project and would recommend him to others.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Nov. 5, 2016

Management sprung into action, addressed and resolved. There is no such thing as an imperfect business operation as we all know. This issue won't discourage me from giving them my business. Especially after seeing multiple raving reviews about their products. I look forward to working with them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I initially made contact with the company, and they had a rep call me. This rep then disappeared. I made contact again, and they assigned me a new rep. This rep said he would get back to me, and this one also disappeared. A quality assurance person sent me a survey which I filled out and also emailed her my issue of finding someone to help me. She never followed up. I've gone through three different people, and couldn't get any help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was planning a second garage for my property. While still comparing companies and quotes I stumbled upon General Steel and worked with Ryan. He was able to find a building that fit my needs and budget. And it was actually bigger than I was originally planning on. He worked with me, explain their buildings as well as warranties and put up with my schedule being hard to reach me. I will update this further, once my building is up.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Building - I was shopping with other steel companies for this project, however something just felt right about General Steel. The sales team I worked with didn't try to high pressure me and made my decision rather easy. I am very pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

While researching steel buildings we discovered General Steel and submitted a request for a quote. Philip ** from General Steel reached out to us and assisted in the selection of a steel building. He was able to answer our questions and contacted a building crew in Michigan to get some construction estimates and availability information. Philip went that extra mile to assist us in making our decision to buy from General Steel. If Philip is just a small sample of the type of people we will work with at General Steel then we look forward to working with all of them. Well done!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been the Pastor of our Church for 34 years. After speaking with Charlie at General Steel I was sure I was dealing with the right company. He was absolutely fantastic. He didn't try to rush me into the sale and was very attentive to our needs. I'm glad I chose General Steel for our project.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Re: Denny ** and Luke **. Everyone has done a fine job, they have been very courteous and everything was explained in great detail. I'll be completely satisfied once I actually get the building. ;>)

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am very happy; I requested information from 2 other companies, one of them never even bothered to contact me. General Steel follow up, the professionalism from the salesman and really good pricing made my decision easy.

Factual basis uncertain

Resolution response: Aug. 25, 2016

Also, I didn't realize that the cost analysis was my final one, so I did receive that. Just do your research and make sure you understand everything they are saying.

General Steel

General Steel appreciates every one of our Clients and we were very discouraged to learn that Mrs. Chandler had a bad experience. Client satisfaction is our #1 goal and although our team strives for the best possible results on every project, we apparently failed to meet Mrs. Chandler’s expectations. It appears obvious that General Steel could have done something differently so she would not have had a negative experience. The truth is, General Steel delivered 17 different floor plans and 10 separate rendering packages to satisfy changes requested by Mrs. Chandler. Typically, we are able to deliver exactly what our customer is envisioning in 3 attempts or less, even when our team is designing an extravagant church or complicated retail center. Our design team has worked diligently on this project and after receiving approval from Mrs. Chandler the final versions were delivered.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Bad experience from the start. We were told we were going to get renderings, floor plans, and a cost estimate for a certain price. We were told it was everything that we needed to take to the bank to get an estimate, so not being familiar with construction, we thought it included blueprints. We were also told that it would take 4-6 weeks. We were also told that we would be able to talk to someone and get input on the layout (once again, not being familiar with construction we thought this was talking to an architect).

They wouldn't let us talk to an architect to get their input. It took over a year to get things done. The cost estimate isn't even totally done and I haven't heard from them in over a month. We ended up having to hire an architect (we didn't want to pay them for their architect because they were way more expensive) to do our blueprints. When I told them we thought it included the blueprints, they basically said, "Are you crazy? You can't get an architect with blueprints for that price." I told them "Yes, we can." We found one for $2000 cheaper than what we were paying them for who knows what.

When I would give them changes to make to the floor plan, half of them wouldn't get done so I would have to send it back again. I would have to call every week or so to get anything from them. Otherwise I wouldn't hear from them for weeks. When I did call they seemed annoyed at me. I was told I would get to do 3 major changes without being charged. I did one and then when I was trying to finalize my floor plan, they told me that the changes I made then were the final ones and if I did any more, I would have to pay for them (they were little changes like move a wall a couple feet, etc).

When I got the first cost estimate (I still have not received the final cost estimate, don't know when I will), it was crazy. We were told that they would check into prices in our area and see what things cost. When we got the cost estimate, we googled prices for some of the things, and their estimates were 2 or 3 times as much. When we talked with them, they said that it was just an estimate on what they normally do, and if we want to get a price estimate for our area we could do it ourselves. We had a contractor friend briefly look over the cost estimate and he said they were twice as much, sometimes 3 times as much as it normally costs.

On the steel building, we had gotten an estimate from another company, and the other company came in $150,000 less on just the building part. I felt that I wasn't getting an accurate cost estimate and that when I told them, they said I could go out and do it myself with people in my area, something that they were supposed to do. They were supposed to check and see what permits and things were required for my area, and they never did. Some permits that they put in the cost estimate were not necessary.

The renderings we finally got look great, but I feel I got ripped off for what I paid them and for the services I received. The last few months they have not answered my phone calls. When I call them I do get an email from them within a couple days. I would definitely look for different company to do your steel building.

I also went to their website to leave a review. I found where reviews were left, and they were all positive, but there wasn't a way to leave a review. I asked the person who popped up to help me with any questions I had and she didn't know how to either. Makes me a little suspicious that either their reviews are fake, or they have the reviews sent to them and they only post the positive reviews. Reading the reviews here and my experience with them, I can imagine that they had over 40 positive reviews and not one single negative review.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience. I would give 10 stars if the site would allow it. Doak the salesman was awesome. He really went above & beyond for my project. I'm very happy I chose General Steel.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

So far this is one of the best company that I have worked with and have enjoy my experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The salesman was very professional and didn't use any high-pressure sales tactics. I was given pertinent information and suggestions from which to make my own decisions. I was never told to do one thing or another. Thanks for giving me the tools from which to make positive decisions. This has been a very easy & comfortable experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The team has been so good to work with. From my first contact with Brian and everyone else as we work our way through this process. Team members I have had contact with, Brian, Lauren, Ron, and Stephen **. I would not hesitate to tell someone about the positive experience with General Steel and the team members. General Steel understands what customer service means.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Denny was very pleasant and informative about the company. He went out of his way to assist me and answered all my questions with enthusiasm. He further directed me to every department that was needed and remained on the line with me until everything was complete.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

General Steel has a very efficient system in place. I have never bought a steel building before and was a little nervous dealing with a company across the country; however they have made the process very easy. Everyone I have spoken with there has not only been very knowledgeable they have been very pleasant to work with. It has been Wonderful experience.

Factual basis uncertain

When I quoted the building with them I asked at least twice them for a contractor contact because I want to find out the "cost to build". They wouldn't give me a contact number and told me that Steve works with contractors and will tell me if it's in my budget, he gave me a ballpark price to build $25k, they told me that the way process works that they will give me a contractor contact after I give them a deposit and its normal process. So after I gave them deposit they did give me the contractor contact number, but the quote I got from contractor to build was $74,700 + site work and + permits, so that it about $100k.

Now they wouldn't give me a deposit back and they are saying that the $25k ballpark number was just for concrete and erection of the building. I asked them for "cost to build" couple times and never asked for concrete and erection of the building. They mislead me, hide the total cost to build from me just to get the deposit from me and then I cannot get it back.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I recently dealt with both Lisa and Lauren. I found both helpful and friendly. Could not ask for a better experience in dealing with a business. Thank You.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was a good follow - and efficient calls.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am thoroughly impressed with the General Steel team. Everyone I have spoken with has been extremely helpful. I am very happy with my decision to go with General Steel for this project and would recommend General Steel to anyone looking for a steel building.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

5 Stars. General Steel has done a really good job. I bought a building that was on special & the project coordinator, Ryan, has been very helpful assisting me to get the shop designed specifically to fit my needs.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been in sales for 40 years and Ryan was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was informative and didn't try to rush me into the sale. I would recommend General Steel to others. Everyone from the receptionist to the technical guys have been great to work with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

So far it has been a great experience. I am now waiting on plans to proceed with my project.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had attempted other steel building companies for info and did not receive help. My first call to General and Denny was very helpful and sent me an email the next morning and answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable. He was patient with me as I am not a construction person and he explained simply what we needed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Philip ** was very helpful while I was trying to decide on a new building for my business. He checked on different size buildings and prices, and promptly got back to me with the information so that I could make a decision and place my order. I would recommend Philip to anyone looking for a steel building.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Ben was extremely helpful and wanted our business so much he was able to offer a substantial discount - to match a local rep - while providing the same quality and warranties we hoped to obtain. He also was truthful about the price increases that were lurking just outside our build plan schedule which helped selection and decision making processes move forward.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From our first contact with Joanie ** to the contracts with Lauren ** to the design process with Ryan ** the experience has been great. Friendly, helpful and reminders that help me in the process. No pressure along the way and they seem to understand our budget constraints offering suggestions to help keep the cost down.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

As a first-time steel building purchaser, my sales support specialist was outstanding. He took the time to educate and inform me on the process, had answers to virtually all of my questions and when he didn't he quickly found them and always followed up in a timely manner. I wish more companies had people like this interfacing and guiding their customers.

General Steel Company Profile