Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA.

General Steel has become the industry leader and most trusted pre-engineered buildings brand in the world by offering our customers the most experienced team in the industry and the highest quality buildings available. Our team will provide solutions that will guide you through a successful project beginning at inception through the completion of your construction project.

Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our team will stop at nothing to make sure your project is a true success!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

181 General Steel Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 19, 2019

After considering all our options, we (the White Plains Rural Cemetery) chose General Steel to provide the building we are trying to have built here on our grounds. Despite almost 5 years of legal battles, we have yet to be given the permit from the city to build. But, Bruce ** and his associates have been so patient sending us what they could in the way of plans, even though we haven’t even been able to follow through with the order — yet! They are always available and quick with responses to my questions. I couldn’t be happier with our choice, and now we are finally in the home stretch and looking forward to building before the end of the summer!

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My experience with the General Steel Corporation was very positive. All the employees I dealt with helped me every step of the way. They explained the process and what to expect -- a 5 star group of employees and managers for sure! As for the product, I ordered a 24X30 steel garage kit with insulation kit and it was assembled by a construction company here in Tucson. Bottom line: The garage kit exceeded my expectations in both quality and in looks, it's solid, it looks sharp and is exactly what I needed and wanted!Thanks to all at General Steel Corporation!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I recently decided to build a shop building on my property. I started an internet search for a reputable company to purchase it from. Taylor ** from General Steel was the one who called immediately! She was very pleasant and needless to say extremely helpful! All of my questions were answered and I had a quote in no time. Taylor is super easy to talk to. I would deal with her again! Highly recommend...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

The sales process was excellent. Andy ** was our salesperson and he was a pleasure to work with. Andy was always willing to adjust and adapt the building to try to accommodate our budget while clearly communicating the implications of our changes. We have not completed the building design yet so we can't comment on the full cycle of the construction process, but based on the sales experience we are very pleased so far.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We initially started researching several Metal Building suppliers and narrowed it down fairly quickly after Andy ** reached back to us to lend a helping hand in our research. Andy was prompt and professional in his communication with us. We eventually set up a conference call organized by Andy that sold us on utilizing General Steel for our small project. We haven't gotten the building on the ground yet but are confident that things will continue as well as they have so far. Thanks for all your guidance Andy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Resolution response: June 17, 2019

While there still may be issues with rust on some steel components, with the help of Bruce ** and his team, I will be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses regarding the replaced trim products.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My experience with General as later discovering that Rigid is the source of the products that they sell. Oxide coatings not great at protecting their steel. Many components were showing rust upon delivery. Trim products are thin gauge and were replaced locally out of pocket due to cupping on Rake trim. So far this cost has not been reimbursed and probably won’t be considering four weeks has passed.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Taylor ** has been a great help, very kind and patient while we were trying to make decisions. No pestering to hurry and order, she let us have the time we need and to make a decision. Always pointed us in the right direction to get the info we needed to make the right decision.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I just ordered my second General Steel Building. General Steel Buildings makes it easy to complete construction projects. It has knowledgeable, responsive customer service staff, efficient customer communication, accurate delivery of inventory, and uses quality materials at a competitive price.

Original review: April 26, 2019

New garage. I had the pleasure of dealing with Steven on the purchase of my new building. I can say not only was he very professional but a great help in the ordering process. If I was in the market for more buildings I would definitely request to deal with him. He made it easy to understand all that I asked.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have ordered several buildings with Joanie ** being my primary contact. I have nothing but amazing things to say about her and the company. They have taken care of everything I have asked for! No better company to work with!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Very happy with overall service and speedy response time. Andy ** and Sam ** did a great job helping with all my needs and answering all my questions. Will recommend to any friend. Very pleased with my experience. Thank you!

Original review: March 21, 2019

Everything has gone very well so far. Everyone I've worked with so far has been helpful and prompt to answer any questions I've had. I hope the rest of the process goes this well. They were also quick to get price adjustments back when I made changes.

Resolution response: March 20, 2019

Recently purchased a building from General Steel. They did manage to work through all the issues I had in a previous post. They do try to work with the customer and that is worth a lot these days. If you know about steel buildings there guys are as good at it as anyone else.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Admittedly I had no idea what purchasing a metal building would entail. I got sucked into buying one as they were offered at 30% off... a deal right? I was told many buyers work as their own contractor as it is not difficult to erect such a building... Well unless you are a contractor with a lot of experience that is simply sales propaganda.

Once you confirm to purchase and they have your signed contract... they then hit you with "accessories" which to be honest are necessities... but not being honest is their stock in trade. Little things like doors and windows and insulation... all of which I figured were already in the price were not... so add another $4000. Also, they don't tell you the accessories come from various vendors. The door vendor called me and asked if I wanted a door... I told them I had already ordered one and hung up... What they didn't tell me (as they should have) was that they had my doors and wanted to ship them to me! So their outside source people are not very professional at all. Delayed the doors for 2 weeks due to their lack of real communication.

Next... I guess I should have checked off all the components ordered. I figured they were professionals... I was wrong... missing a $415 window. If they ship anything to you go over the checklist... they are not professional in any way when it comes to what they ship you. Next one of the struts for the roof had the gusset wrongly placed... another $500 to get a portable welder to come and cut it off and place it where it needed to be... 4-6 weeks for plans and you don't get a foundation plan unless you pay an extra $2000! If I had to do it over... I would not ever buy from this company again and I recommend to anyone they think twice before dealing with these people who seem nice but to them, it is all about the Benjamins and not the customer.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Kevin and Ryan from General Steel have been awesome to work with. Both of them have been total professionals and they have made it a very easy process for me. Communication has been excellent and I have received very fast responses to any questions asked. We can’t wait to get this project started.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Ronald and Steven have been a tremendous help as my company began this process of building a warehouse, something we are completely unfamiliar with. They have given great insight, quick responses and been able to help ease our nerves as we went through this. Thank you very much for all the help. If things go as planned, we will be coming back in the future for more warehouses!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Tyler was very responsive and diligent in pursuing the answers to any questions or concerns I had throughout the process. Tyler's involvement was a positive factor in our decision to go with General Steel. My vote is that he gets the prize.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I just got married last year, and was hesitant to jump into a large financial expenditure so soon. But Taylor ** was very helpful and knowledgeable helping me get what I needed at a great price. This is the first metal building I will have owned, and can't wait to have it finished!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Sam and Jeremie have been a great team to work with on this build. From my initial call to the whole process they’ve been so helpful. I am looking forward to taking delivery of our package and getting the building up and in use. General Steel has been awesome. Thank you.

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2018

Talked with Bruce and he has taken over the communication piece in working to get our product. I'm updating my review as there is a difference between General Steel and General Steel Design Services. I still believe communication can always improve in dealing with customers and Bruce has done a good job in making sure we are satisfied customers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I originally was going to build a house and General Steel has a program which designs your house and then sends you the cost per square foot but you have to pay them $6000 in advance. Once we started getting into that process the cost they were quoting was astronomical. I decided to just purchase a already built house and get more bang for my bucks. Per General Steel they wouldn't refund my money but the money could be used to buy material from them for another project. I had no less than 20 emails back and forth with their design team and the response rate was 3 to 4 days up to a few weeks for a response. The costs for them to do anything for me was absurd and a local metal company was 4 to 5 times cheaper for the same quality. Finally after 8 months of going back and forth with no resolution I told them to just send me $6000 in roofing sheets.

Out of the blue with no communication as to a delivery time or delivery needs, a flatbed truck shows up at my house with the product. A flatbed truck in a neighborhood that can't pull down my driveway or has no way to unload the material. Called General Steel and they basically told me it's my problem and they would redeliver it when I got a forklift or crane to unload the 40 sheets of steel siding. The cost to rent a crane or forklift is over $700. General Steel's customer service is terrible and they have no communication skills. They don't put the customer's needs first or do they care if they make a mistake. Forget about getting any kind of building or material from them as you will be better served going to a local company as the costs will be cheaper and the material is the same quality if not better.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Just wanted to thank Kevin and Sam for their follow-through and timely communications. Very professional and polite. It has been a pleasure working with GS on this, my second GS building project. Look forward to getting the building on site and erected.

Resolution response: Aug. 21, 2018

General Steel has changed their mind and come to a resolution agreement with me and will be reimbursing me the $800 for temporary fencing and bolts that I had to buy myself in order for the job site to be protected and the storage units to be constructed. I am now satisfied with General Steel’s business practice. The storage units are good quality and my tenants are thrilled.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I am surprised that a company this size treats their customers so irresponsibly. They made a time commitment to me... did not keep it... cost me more money in temporary fencing costs in order to keep their incomplete shipments safe from theft... and left me hanging in the wind waiting for a return crew, not once, but TWICE.

The installation of General Steel storage units at my apartment complex cost me an extra $800 in temporary security fencing costs. I also had to buy $300 worth of bolts for the project as those were also left out of the second incorrect shipment. I asked to be reimbursed for these extra investments and was denied. Multi-family operators here in the southeast United States are actively pursuing value added, on-site storage for their residents. I would never recommend General Steel to anyone else for this endeavor. Sloppy business practice.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Our choice of General Steel because on Brad ability to explain to us and convince us on how general steel is better. Brad was able to explain to us how general steel fit what we are looking for. Brad was had a good understanding of our concern, and he help clarify our question and concerns.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 3, 2018

General Steel sells you a building package, then encourages you to review the experience before anything significant can go wrong. Note the timing of many reviews on its page. I ordered windows and insulation only to find that the windows were not suitable for my purpose and that one can buy superior windows at much cheaper prices. GS would not cancel the order notwithstanding that there was nothing in the contract about not cancelling extras. It was far too early in the process for the windows to have already been taken out of stock, or probably even manufactured.

I sent the elevations and floor plans of the building, which GS allegedly used to design it. Nothing was mentioned about skylights, which I could not utilize, but they were included in the package. I had to pay another company to but galvalume to finish the roof. The floor plans appeared to be ok when I reviewed the PDF files. When they sent hard copies, foolishly, I failed to review every set. I handed one hard set to the erector company which used them to pour the foundation. When it came time put up the steel, we found the foundation was too short and the bolts were in the wrong place. That is because the hard copy I had given the erector company was for a totally different building. Once again, GS was unconcerned.

Once the frame was up, we discovered that a girt went all the way around the building about nose height, passing through every window I had designed on the building. I had to pay another company to fix that and buy more steel. The front door was designed in a different place than the plans I sent. I ordered material for a porch roof. The framing came but not the roofing panels. As best I can tell, it is not necessary to utilize a company such as GS. GS does not manufacture the buildings. If I buy again, I will go directly to the manufacturer.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Everyone I have spoke with was very nice and knowledgeable with what was needed. They were very helpful in getting everything just the way I needed it. I would recommend them to anyone and will be glad to work with them again in the future. Carl, Ron and Megan have done a great job and gave me a great experience in getting the metal building that I will call home soon.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Thank you to Tyler ** and General Steel!!! Tyler was upfront, very informative, and extremely professional in the purchase process of the metal building, from start to finish. I will refer Tyler and General Steel in the future.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Dauphne was very helpful and polite when dealing with my order. She responded well and answered all my questions. I would recommend her support with any customer purchasing from General Steel. Out of most of the people I talked to at General Steel she was the easiest to deal with.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Our Building is being delivered this Thursday on March 29, Our experience so far has been Great, I've reached out to both Ryan and Megan on several occasions to make changes. Every time Ryan got us what we wanted. No hassle, easy. Megan has gone out of her way to help us schedule items in on a timely manner. She has done an outstanding job. Thanks again to both of you on building a Garage and building our dreams.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Initially everything was moving very slow regarding this project due to delays on our side as well as the companies we were dealing with. However, once Bruce ** and Megan ** got involved this became a very pleasant and professional experience. Megan ** expeditiously handled returning emails and phone calls to bring our project to fruition. A big thank you to Megan for all the assistance. Additionally, a big thank you to Bruce ** for all the assistance in handling the unusual request of a third company payment for a portion of the building. We are looking forward to completing this project very soon.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Joanne was exceptional in helping us with purchase of our building. She was thorough, quick, responsive to our questions and helpful in every way. On a scale of 1 to 10, Joanne earned a 12 in our dealings. Also, working with Billy on our building, adds, changes, or whatever we needed, Bill has been so far exceptional, helpful, responsive to our changes, adds or conversation. On a scale of 1 to 10, Billy has earned a 12 to date. So far my experience with your company has been exceptional. We all know and appreciate that great employees makes a great company. I look forward to working with Billy on our building.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The sale person Jon was knowledgeable and convincing. I don't have the building yet, still early in the process. At this time, I am happy. After the main sale, several options were offered to increase the cost of the building.

General Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

General Steel Buildings, based in Colorado, is widely regarded as a leader in the steel building industry. Operating for more than 20 years, General Steel has grown from a supply company to a full-service construction company.​

• Range of services: General Steel is a full-service company that helps clients plan and construct a steel building.

• Prominent clients: The company has proven its reputation by working with some outstanding clients, including the White House, NASA, Disney, GM and Boeing.

• Time in business: General Steel has been constructing steel buildings for two decades.

• Free quote: If clients have an idea for a steel building they'd like to buy or build, General Steel will give a free initial consultation and quote for the customers so they know how much a project will cost before they commit.

• Regular specials offered: General Steel Buildings offers rotating specials on buildings via its website, which means customers can find regular sales and value prices.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

General Steel Company Information