Call toll free
4.81/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA.

General Steel has become the industry leader and most trusted pre-engineered buildings brand in the world by offering our customers the most experienced team in the industry and the highest quality buildings available. Our team will provide solutions that will guide you through a successful project beginning at inception through the completion of your construction project.

Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our team will stop at nothing to make sure your project is a true success!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

153 General Steel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Initially everything was moving very slow regarding this project due to delays on our side as well as the companies we were dealing with. However, once Bruce ** and Megan ** got involved this became a very pleasant and professional experience. Megan ** expeditiously handled returning emails and phone calls to bring our project to fruition. A big thank you to Megan for all the assistance. Additionally, a big thank you to Bruce ** for all the assistance in handling the unusual request of a third company payment for a portion of the building. We are looking forward to completing this project very soon.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Joanne was exceptional in helping us with purchase of our building. She was thorough, quick, responsive to our questions and helpful in every way. On a scale of 1 to 10, Joanne earned a 12 in our dealings. Also, working with Billy on our building, adds, changes, or whatever we needed, Bill has been so far exceptional, helpful, responsive to our changes, adds or conversation. On a scale of 1 to 10, Billy has earned a 12 to date. So far my experience with your company has been exceptional. We all know and appreciate that great employees makes a great company. I look forward to working with Billy on our building.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The sale person Jon was knowledgeable and convincing. I don't have the building yet, still early in the process. At this time, I am happy. After the main sale, several options were offered to increase the cost of the building.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

So far everyone has been very helpful. Thanks. I haven't started construction yet, but the buying, and design process has went smooth to date. I am looking forward to delivery date so we can start putting this new building together! My wife will appreciate the garage space!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We chose your company for a steel building quote based upon your excellent reviews. I contacted General Steel on September 1, 2017 from what I can reconstruct. Michael ** sent me an email quote. I also spoke with Lee ** on September 1 concerning the construction of the proposed building. On September 5, I contacted Mr. ** and asked him to call me. On September 7, Mr. ** contacted me and asked if I was prepared for Hurricane Irma. He asked for a good time to call the following week to send a deposit since this was a Labor Day Sale and asked me to call Lauren ** to give her an update. On September 14, 2017, Lee ** sent an email stating I had to complete the building order with Lauren ** today and that Jay the builder had to have confirmation to hold a spot in his schedule.

On September 14, six minutes after the communication with Lee **, Lauren ** sent me wiring instructions and stated that I needed to go straight to fabrication immediately. An attachment stated the quote was only valid until September 17. On September 15, I wire transferred $3,000 to General Steel Corp. as requested. On September 19, I received a welcoming letter from General Steels Help Desk. Because of the hurricane, I was unable to schedule a meeting with the City of Titusville zoning department until September 22. I was advised at that time, even though our property had a commercial designation, the zoning had been amended to no longer allow for warehouse structures to be built on our current warehouses adjoining vacant lot.

On September 22, I immediately notified General Steel that I could not go forward with the project. At this point, no work had been done on this project only an inquiry. On October 3, I received an email from Bruce ** stating #3 clause in the contract I signed allowed General Steel to retain the wired funds. I am a small businessman concerned regarding how I was induced to sign the contract and wire funds before and after a devastating hurricane with the threat that the sale price would be withdrawn unless I acted immediately. Because of the Hurricane and its devastating effects I was unable to conduct due diligence until the City of Titusville's various departments were open for business and appointments. Our deposit was $3,000.00.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Just wanting to say that the quality of service given to us from Michael ** has been way above our expectations, from the first day when I called, until he sold us a building and then to get called from Ryan ** to lay out our building almost with no time in between, and for the knowledge from both to help us get what we needed with no snags. You only have 5 stars but I would give 10 to these 2 guys. Thank You very much for all your help and for making this a fast and Pleasurable experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Good Experience from the first phone inquiry about purchasing a steel building. Told my sales rep what I wanted, and he came back with a building that was very close to that size and everything I wanted to make up my dream shop. Very Happy with the price. Looking forward to my new Steel Building from General Steel.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The process of building a large building is more than difficult for a non-contractor, but the efforts of the salesman and project coordinator have made the project much more doable and so far into the project all issues have been handled simply, and professionally.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a good experience with Ronald ** who is our building coordinator on current project. I had difficulty with the Alaska Fire Marshall on our last building placement and Ron went above and beyond getting me some fire rated industry material that I can use when getting our newest permit. I am a commercial fisherman and not knowledgeable in the building trade so he did well guiding my partner and I through the ordering process. I would recommend General Steel and Ron to anyone looking for a steel building.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

First let me say I am in no way related to my salesman Derek ** - it was just the luck of the draw! Our non-profit soccer organization had been shopping for a metal building and had reached out to approximately 4 different metal structure companies. Derek was THE only one to make contact with me by phone. Personalized service! He spent at least an hour on the phone with me going over our needs and then finding the right structure for our club at the price point we wanted to stay within. I would recommend General Steel and Derek ** to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Having Ryan ** as my Project Coordinator has been great. He has helped with every question/concern I've had. Any additional information I have requested, Ryan has answered for me in a timely manner. Ryan has worked with me through the changes I have requested. This process has been made easier thanks to Ryan.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2017

Well having spoken with someome in charge of reviews, they worked with me to try and resolve the issues and make things right. In the end I can't say that things went perfectly smooth but I am happy to say they care enough about the customers to really try and make things better. Perhaps what sounded like fake reviews were just resolved reviews. Either way, I am impressed they found a frustrated customer and worked to correct the scenario.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We are a long way into our process with General Steel. First, we called in almost a year ago and were told they had a limited time sales on certain buildings. Later we found out that is a scamming sales pitch that they have already been in trouble legally for doing. Ok fine, we went on through the process. The initial engineered drawings took twice the time we were told and we had to stay on them. Finally we got them back and they (despite asking us where our windows would be and so forth), blocked our future windows with bracing that wouldn't work for our needs. They wanted us to pay almost $1k more to fix it. Um no, we told our plans from day one.

Finally we were offered to pay half of the cost they asked and we did it just to move on but we had to wait even longer for finished engineered plans. We were quoted later (by General Steel) for insulation and windows. $10,000 for regular ol' insulation. Ridiculous. It only took a second phone call to find it for half that and could keep going and get it even lower. Markups on any extras are all overpriced. There was a ton of confusion on delivery. We were told it was all coming on one truck but two showed up. We had a forklift rented and they were having trouble after we had rented it for one day if it would all be there on that day. Plus there was a big to do about who to give the items too. Another thing that made me upset was realizing that this isn't a "General Steel Building". They just contract out a third party supplier that we could have bought it cheaper directly from. That is dishonest to me.

Items came damaged which they were relatively quick to replace, items were back ordered without warning which could have made us rent a forklift for another day but we figured something else out, and items were missing (say half the bolts required). Sure, they said they would replace them but we were mid-building and didn't have time to wait. The building went together okay but it wasn't without issues. We were told they would give us a list of contractors but they couldn't and didn't. We had a hard time finding anyone who would. We got quotes for over $60000 just to erect the building from those that would. After it was delivered and paid in full we were told about the seamer rental which I feel is the straw that broke the camel’s back. We paid an upgrade fee of $8000 which included a seamer rental.

Not until we have the building and it is paid for we’re told we have to either send a $4500 cashier’s check or do an ACH debit that we SHOULD get back if it is returned and in good shape. They cost around $4000 new. I pointed out that you don't rent a car or the forklift, pay for it in full up front and get the money back if it is returned and in good shape. That is like buying it and then returning it for a refund. I don't like it. It got rude at that point and we were just put off basically to find our own seamer. All you pay for is a lot of overpromised, well advertised metal buildings that you could get elsewhere for a better price. There is a heap of dishonesty in the whole transaction.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My husband and I were discussing building a shed. Next thing I know, my father-in-law is forwarding us a quote from General Steel. I managed to be the new lead when my husband got sent to FL to help restore power after Irma. The staff has been very helpful and patient answering my questions. It has very easy.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Matt was super personable and has done an amazing job with us! Highly recommend him and this company to anyone who is looking for a company who does this type of work. Thank you for all of the help that you have given us so far!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Golf Cart Canopy for Veterans Hospital - Chris ** was very professional and easy to work with in regards to our building needs. He was prompt and helped with all items in regards to our building for the VA Hospital. We will definitely keep your company and Chris in mind for future project.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

The process of choosing the building size then adding the component options was a good flow. During the initial sale of the building, it would have been helpful to know a general average cost of these components upfront, though.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Just had to share my experience with the sales rep of General Steel by the name of Andy **. Andy is a very knowledgeable and experienced sales rep that I was glad to have connected with. We are currently launching a Capital Campaign to build a Church facility and Andy's expertise was the critical deciding factor that persuaded our Board to go with a metal building as opposed to regular construction. His answers to our questions were thorough, complete, and satisfactory. GS is currently doing the preliminary drawings and we are 110% sure they will build our new facility!! Thanks Andy, you're the greatest!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Ben really went to bat for us to get us into a General building at our budget. You guys deal with these types of purchases every day but we're doing it once and it's a huge cost and undertaking. Ben did a great job of answering my questions and helped to put my mind at ease on this project.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Shawn and Ryan and everybody have all been very helpful, and patient with me as I'm often busy and hard to reach, sorry! Most things seem to be coming together, surveyor on the way, looking forward to building!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

The salesman knew more than the other company I was dealing with, that was the decision maker. I was really close to going with the other company but your salesperson "sold me" if the rest of this process goes as well, I'll be buying more buildings for our company!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Charlie ** has been great to work with. He spent a great deal of time with me (5 months), from my first contact. We started with 1 building and ended up with 2 bigger than the original. He walked me through everything and made me feel comfortable with our company's largest purchase to date outside of our real estate. His fast responses and knowledge on the details made it a clear choice over your competitors. Thank You Charlie & General Steel.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Spoke with and ordered a shop building from Shawn ** at General Steel and I could not be happier with my experience so far. Shawn was very responsive and answered all of my questions and also provided great advice. If you're looking for a professional company and a great experience, go with General Steel.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Derek did an outstanding job at helping, answering questions, and guiding us through the process. He was enthusiastic about our building project and wanted to do whatever necessary to help. Derek was awesome, and it was a fabulous purchasing experience.

Resolution response: July 22, 2017

Well I am writing to set the record straight, a representative from General Steel called me about my bad experience in getting my building loaded at the Nevada depot in June of 2017. He was genuine in his concerns and was understanding of my frustration with the less than stellar service that I received. He definitely had pride for his company which was good to see, and also offered to pay the penalty of 175.00 I was charged by the transfer company for the lengthy loading time. All I really wanted was to be understood and have someone go to Nevada and reduce the employees' coffee cup size so they don't drag their feet for the next guy. But the cash was nice too. Thanks Bruce.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I was really excited about getting my new building. Everything was going fine until shipping day. General Steel sends me the names and numbers and address of where to pick up the building and the pick up time. I arrange a driver through freight quotes to pick it up on the exact day and time window and transport it to Alaska Marine Lines in Seattle to be sent to Alaska. A simple task for both entities one would think. The driver who was on time with his 40 ft. flat in tow sat at the loading dock for hrs. I received a call from the trucking dispatch saying I was nearing detention due to the wait time, so I called the factory contact and he assured me it would be within the hr. For the love of god it's a 40 ft trailer not a cargo ship. You should be able to load three in an hr. So obviously not ready, as I was lead to believe.

The customer service lady tells me that they took extra care to make sure all the pieces were there because it was going so far and found they forgot a box of clips. OK I call ** on that. What about the guy down the road that orders a building. Does he get the hours of scrutiny while loading his stuff too. Anyway time goes into detention so I have to pay the driver an extra 175.00 for sitting around a freight yard while the factory boy try to put a package together. General Steel would not cover this obvious error on their part. The cost isn't going to make or break me, but like Christmas, it's the thought that counts. One of the reasons we like to live in Alaska is, we don't put up with ** service and when someone is at fault they cop to it.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Bruce has exhibited excellent customer service. I've had lots of questions about various parts of the project and he treated them all as important. Every response has been timely and well researched. This has really helped clarify some of the more difficult planning decisions I've needed to make.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I have had only great service from all the people at General Steel. Derrick, German, and Billy have all been great to work with. My requirements have been first priority in all cases. Great communication at every stage of the process.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I searched for a steel building on the internet and selected GSC. When the original sales rep returned my call but could not answer my questions, I was referred to Mr. Lee **. I sent him a list of questions which we covered individually. We had several person-to-person calls with question and answer periods. I was pleasantly surprised with his ability to answer all my questions without having to go look up the answers. He even offered me his personal phone number in case I had a question when the office was closed. This is great customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Very informative, any questions that he did not have an answer for, he would find out and immediately get back to me with it. You do not know how many times I get the wrong information from a company because the reps decide to guess instead of working a little harder to get the right answer. Great Job!!!

Original review: May 22, 2017

It has been a pleasure to work with both Bob and Luke! They both have gone above and beyond in accommodating our building needs at Stadium Medical. I was very nervous and anxious to start this project due to my limited knowledge on building construction, however Luke and Bob have made all my anxiety go away with their knowledge and professionalism.

Original review: May 18, 2017

The sales team, and particularly Chris **, was extremely helpful, informative and professional. I never experienced the hard sell and was treated with the utmost respect. This was exactly the kind of experience I expect when dealing with such an important purchase. Thanks General Steel!

General Steel Company Information

1995
10639 Bradford Rd
Littleton
CO

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use