Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA.

General Steel has become the industry leader and most trusted pre-engineered buildings brand in the world by offering our customers the most experienced team in the industry and the highest quality buildings available. Our team will provide solutions that will guide you through a successful project beginning at inception through the completion of your construction project.

Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our team will stop at nothing to make sure your project is a true success!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

General Steel Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I looked at different companies to buy my building and got pretty much the same results. But when I called General Steel I realized that this company had experience and actually had a great product. From the salesman, Jon **, Lauren **, Sam ** and Bruce **, they all made such a smooth transaction. Everyone was very knowledgeable on each of their departments. When each piece arrived, they were well packed, undamaged and accounted for. When the building finally came together, I knew I had made the right decision on choosing this company. My building was beautiful and I know it will last a very long.

Get expert buying tips about Steel Buildings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

When I started researching steel buildings for expanding my business, my experience was not a positive one until I spoke with Joanie at General Steel. Joanie was pleasant and helpful with all my questions and it quickly became clear she wasn't just trying to push a surplus building on me. I'm the kind of person who wants to understand all the details. She was patient and informative with all her answers. I could sense she was genuinely interested in my building needs and technical details. Through her professionalism and friendly attitude, I determined General Steel was the organization I wanted to work with. When I received the quote, I was very pleased to find it was also the best price. That, together with studying the structural details of General Steel buildings caused me to call the next day and order another building for a second location.

With the two orders in place, I was referred over to Sam, who is presently my project contact. I was very pleased to find Sam as professional and helpful as Joanie. Working with Sam is a pleasure. He has a very good knowledge of these buildings and is good at explaining things to the less experienced (Me). He is genuinely eager to help.

We are presently at the point where the buildings are being engineered and manufactured. I am dealing with permits and site preparations. It has been a stretching experience to say the least, since I have never taken on such an involved project as this before, but I am confident in the engineering, quality and support General Steel is noted for. To date, all of my experiences with them have been excellent, and I feel the quality of the company is reflected in the attitudes of the employees, which is second to none.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I bought a 30X50 steel building from General Steel this past spring. The initial planning stages were very helpful in deciding what I wanted in a building. Communication from the time I committed to purchase was great. Delivery on time. Any questions I had - and they were numerous - were answered promptly by the contact I had with the company. While I've never put up a building like this, the erection plans that accompanied the building were clear - even for an ol' cowboy like me. The building is a great addition to our operation.

Original review: June 19, 2019

After considering all our options, we (the White Plains Rural Cemetery) chose General Steel to provide the building we are trying to have built here on our grounds. Despite almost 5 years of legal battles, we have yet to be given the permit from the city to build. But, Bruce ** and his associates have been so patient sending us what they could in the way of plans, even though we haven’t even been able to follow through with the order — yet! They are always available and quick with responses to my questions. I couldn’t be happier with our choice, and now we are finally in the home stretch and looking forward to building before the end of the summer!

Original review: March 14, 2019

My experience with the General Steel Corporation was very positive. All the employees I dealt with helped me every step of the way. They explained the process and what to expect -- a 5 star group of employees and managers for sure! As for the product, I ordered a 24X30 steel garage kit with insulation kit and it was assembled by a construction company here in Tucson. Bottom line: The garage kit exceeded my expectations in both quality and in looks, it's solid, it looks sharp and is exactly what I needed and wanted!Thanks to all at General Steel Corporation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Resolution response: Oct. 2, 2019

In regard to my prior reviews about General Steel, General Steel has now worked everything out with me. General Steel has provided me with Engineer Stamped Letters dated 9/9/19 and 9/11/19 which now show that the General Steel building is engineered properly. The building provided to me by General Steel is structurally sound, as evidenced by the Engineer Stamped Letters that I was provided on 9/9/19 and 9/11/19. General Steel has worked with me and cooperated with me in its efforts to correct minor fabrication concerns with the steel building. The General Steel building that I purchased is now erected and complete. In my prior review, I was upset and did not mean to publish that General Steel had no idea what they are doing. The drawings provided by General Steel were adequate and I did not have grounds to have previously stated they were not adequate. My General Steel warranty is valid. I was upset in my prior postings and did not mean that General Steel has shoddy practices and horrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I ordered an 18' x 22' prefab steel building from General Steel and hired a contractor to erect it. When the contractor started the work, they discovered design issues which required modifications to the building. The 1st modification included two steel plates to fill space (1") between two flanges that weren't spaced correctly. I questioned the modification as adding two steel plates could potentially compromise the integrity of the structure. I asked Dauphne to provide proof from Engineering that the modification was acceptable and did not compromise the structure, however she told me she was unable to forward the written authorization that was supposedly received from the engineers. It was a bit weird she could not share the approval she received from the Engineers.

After the addition of the two plates, the contractor discovered a second design flaw which required adding two steel channels because the overhead door did not have enough clearance to open. Since then, I have sought legal advice and have requested written detail of these modifications but have yet to receive them. The request, however, did prompt General Steel to add yet another channel because apparently their 1st modification wasn't strong enough. The building providing by General Steel is not structurally sound and doesn't match the plans I originally signed off on. They are not willing to provide proof that the modifications were in fact approved by the engineers, the same engineers that created a flawed design in the first place.

Resolution response: June 17, 2019

While there still may be issues with rust on some steel components, with the help of Bruce ** and his team, I will be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses regarding the replaced trim products.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My experience with General as later discovering that Rigid is the source of the products that they sell. Oxide coatings not great at protecting their steel. Many components were showing rust upon delivery. Trim products are thin gauge and were replaced locally out of pocket due to cupping on Rake trim. So far this cost has not been reimbursed and probably won’t be considering four weeks has passed.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Taylor ** has been a great help, very kind and patient while we were trying to make decisions. No pestering to hurry and order, she let us have the time we need and to make a decision. Always pointed us in the right direction to get the info we needed to make the right decision.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I just ordered my second General Steel Building. General Steel Buildings makes it easy to complete construction projects. It has knowledgeable, responsive customer service staff, efficient customer communication, accurate delivery of inventory, and uses quality materials at a competitive price.

Original review: April 26, 2019

New garage. I had the pleasure of dealing with Steven on the purchase of my new building. I can say not only was he very professional but a great help in the ordering process. If I was in the market for more buildings I would definitely request to deal with him. He made it easy to understand all that I asked.

General Steel expert review by Joseph Truini

General Steel Buildings, based in Colorado, is widely regarded as a leader in the steel building industry. Operating for more than 20 years, General Steel has grown from a supply company to a full-service construction company.​

• Range of services: General Steel is a full-service company that helps clients plan and construct a steel building.

• Prominent clients: The company has proven its reputation by working with some outstanding clients, including the White House, NASA, Disney, GM and Boeing.

• Time in business: General Steel has been constructing steel buildings for two decades.

• Free quote: If clients have an idea for a steel building they'd like to buy or build, General Steel will give a free initial consultation and quote for the customers so they know how much a project will cost before they commit.

• Regular specials offered: General Steel Buildings offers rotating specials on buildings via its website, which means customers can find regular sales and value prices.

• Best for: Individual property owners, industrial businesses, farm owners, municipal facilities and storage facilities.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

General Steel Company Information