2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.70/5

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

PROS

• Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers

CONS

• Pricing not available online

Top Vivint Solar Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what was given. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nice person to deal with that was why I decided to go with him.

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: April 13, 2020

I’m satisfied with Vivint Solar. I’ve seen some differences. I did not go with the complete replacement system, like a full system. I just got something to manage the load during the peak hours. But sometimes I wish I would’ve gotten more but it’s a trade-off. It also took longer to get through the whole approval process than normal, but there were no issues.

I’ve had two times I’ve had to call in and it was handled very well. First was the modem changes on my part generated where I had to have them come out and reprogram the password for my router. They upgraded the box where they were using a modem device for a cellular connection now versus attaching to your own personal modem. So, I don’t have to worry about changing my password on my router anymore.

One other issue was I did have a load controller. When I first got the solar, it didn’t work the way I expected it to offset the load. I thought we’ll pull it from the solar first, and then pull what you need from APS. The way the load controller was set up, it was looking at the whole demand, not the demand that I needed to pull from APS versus a solar. So, I had to upgrade my load controller in order to work with the solar properly.

Vivint Solar response

Blair, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Vivint was in the area and liked what I heard and that’s how we chose them. They were reaching out to brand-new homeowners in our area. It was a lot easier to get their representative in and talk to them one-on-one unlike with the central office. It was harder to reach back to them due to timezone issues, but the local rep was very responsive. If I ever reached out to Jacob, he would get back to me within hours.

We started the process in July of ‘18, installed by third week of October. At the point where we moved forward and agreed on everything we were gonna do, and the design they submitted was 18 panels, they committed to doing the work. The visiting team, the construction crew then moved like a clock. They came in the morning, they secured the whole area with cones and yellow tape around the whole property. And they have their work zones. I cleared out a little bit of space in the garage so they could install the panel, the electricity thing on the inside and the outside. They worked really well. Within half a day they were up on the roof and finished. They were unbelievable. There were four guys, prompt, complete and clean. I took a walk around and there were no nails on the ground. It was pristine.

Our bills from August of 2017 through October of 2018 were cut in half by the time we put the electricity in place. Now that I had a full year of charting that, that’s how I can tell that it’s cut about 50 to 55% of our electricity bill. Meanwhile, this year, it’s two kilowatts a day better. In other words, if March was a 16-kilowatt average a day in ’19, this ’20 March we just finished with 18 kilowatts. We’ve had better sun but obviously, we’ve had a lot of snow, we’ve had colder weather so the bill dropped like 75% of our electricity bill.

With a $21,000 unit installation and with $7,000 of that coming off with a federal credit, one of it was a $1,000 check directly from the state of Maryland. I paid $13,000 for the panel. The fact that I have a wife and daughter who like it a little bit cooler in the summer and a little bit warmer in the winter, so if I would tell if we keep it around at 68. My daughter lives upstairs, and we did not have a huge, super hot time. She will occasionally and rarely once a month come down and turn the heat down or turn it up. But if she’s ever doing that, she can quickly make the adjustment. Vivint Solar is literally a 50% deal.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Dan! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Original review: March 2, 2020

There was a fellow from Vivint Solar and he came knocking on our door. He turned out to be our salesman and we’ve been with Vivint for about three years. Installing the solar energy service was a two-phase operation. They put on a certain number of cells on the front part of the roof at the very beginning and then, more recently, once we had the solar panels, they added more to the roof.

Our roof, where the panels get mounted, is aligned with the Southern exposure. Something was put on the north end initially because at the time, there was a regulation that said that you don’t wanna put solar panels on the side of the roof that doesn’t get exposed to the sun that much during the day. But now, the new ones are more sensitive and can be put on northern-exposure roofs so that we could benefit during the months where the sun is high in the sky. It will hit the solar panels and it’ll generate electricity whereas the original ones that were put on the southern exposure are not as sensitive. They're the older ones so they still generated the electricity because they're on the south side and exposed to the sun more months of the year. But with the more sensitive ones, they changed the law and you can now put them on the north side.

For the most part, the customer service was very good although I didn't get answers right away. When they installed the second set of panels, it took a long time for something to get approved by the local government and I tried to get the questions answered by emailing a contact that I had from Vivint. Other than that, it worked out fine. They send the notifications by email and they explain how you can interpret the bill so that was nice.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Morris! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Vivint had a guy walking in our neighborhood who was going door-to-door that was offering a solar system. I had him come back a couple of times and I had him give me as much information as possible. Then, I went and did my research. But because I have a Vivint alarm system, I was familiar with Vivint. What really stood out was the rate that Vivint offered me which was pretty competitive. I also liked the fact that they made it easy that I could get solar compared to what it used to be a couple of years ago. It’s a lot easier today to get solar than it was five years ago. However, the guy got on me to ask me who I knew or to who I could refer. Unfortunately, I don’t know a lot of people in my neighborhood so I was unable to refer any customers. He was a little bit pushy. But I understand the sales business because I've done it.

The enrollment process was nice. It was just that I had to go through the hoop's rings of filling out a bunch of forms then we had to wait for the approval. There should have been better coordination between the businesses and the government entity. I felt like the government entities weren’t acting quickly enough to do their jobs and that was part of the delay. The installers knew what they were doing. I felt comfortable with their professionalism. The only complaint that I had was towards the end, there were some things that they weren’t completely thorough on and I had to have them come back and fix it up again. But other than that, I felt that they did what a typical installer does. They even took a picture with my wife and I next to the system and that was fun. We got the first bill this month with the solar. It seems that I have to pay $20 which is good, but I won’t know if I'm still gonna pay the electric bill with Edison.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Adam! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Going solar seems to be something that we should be doing for the nation because of fossil fuels. And the tax credit was a big incentive for us to go ahead and do that to help offset the cost of it. A Vivint Solar salesman came to our door. He was a really nice person and the pricing was better. We had checked with Sunrun and they were really proud of their product. So, we had been thinking about it for a while, and we just felt the Vivint sales rep really presented himself well and we figured we’d go with Vivint. The product and the layout was great. They called us. Somebody hadn’t gotten their final approvals with Xcel. And they installed us really early and that went really well. And then, everything just stalled out. There was a lack of communication between Xcel and Vivint.

Xcel said it was Vivint and Vivint said it was Xcel, that they had a problem uploading a form into the Xcel system that I kept calling on. Vivint people said, “We’re working on it. It’s in.” But it was not. We’ve called Xcel. So, the first line people were very annoying. I needed to talk to someone else because they were just telling me what they thought they knew, but they were not researching it. The second line that we got was really good but I could never get to him. Every time I called in, I got these people that didn’t read the account and the follow-up was really lost in translation.

We were finally installed at the end of September. This whole thing with Xcel and Vivint, and the portal not working, were irritating. Vivint Solar installed it the beginning of September, and then Xcel came out in December and put some meters in. But they never finished up the permission to operate. I kept calling and all of a sudden, Xcel came out again and put in another meter. And we got the permission to operate from Xcel, but it never got to Vivint. Somebody in the back door somewhere had to do something. It was the end of January when we finally were up and running. But we still have an error on our meter that says it’s a four. Supposedly, somebody from Vivint was gonna come out and look at it. And I haven’t heard from anybody again. We were very excited about getting solar and being more green, and Xcel wasn’t really excited about losing another customer that they're not gonna be able to bill $175 a month in the winter.

I seriously think that if something was gonna get screwed up on an account it was gonna be ours. But they've made it right so far. I’m a little frustrated that no one communicated with us on this error that keeps flashing on the production meter. Now, we did have to pay on it for two months without it even generating energy. Supposedly, they were gonna offset that because the deal was once it got set up and was generating power, we were supposed to start paying. But because of the craziness with Xcel, we went into payment before we were generating power. Supposedly, somebody was to go make that payment. So, we decided we’d just go ahead and do it because we didn’t wanna extend it out another two months on the repayment for the loan stuff. But it didn’t feel great.

Some of Vivint's customer service people were really good, kind and tried to figure things out. But others, you'd just hang up and call back. Overall, I’m satisfied with Vivint. If they’ll come out and give me an answer why this error code’s flashing on my meter, I would be much more satisfied. We’ve been in this system for the last two weeks. However, I would like an answer on that. The root cause of the issue was not Vivint from the information I’ve been able to get from Vivint and then the experiences with Xcel. A lot of the problem was Xcel because when the guy from Xcel showed up and ran the doorbell, before my husband and daughter could get to it, the guy went around our back yard. So, our dogs were at the back door, wanting to go out because there was a stranger in the yard and that scared him.

Also, Xcel people were like, “But we don’t send this, we don’t do that.” And Vivint was saying that they have to give it to them. There was a disconnect and I was caught in the middle. Vivint needs to figure out a better working relationship with Xcel and Xcel needs to inform their people. They had a conference call scheduled with Xcel and Xcel never made it. Then, our problem was elevated up to that level. It was two more weeks before they could talk to them about the portal issue. So, that wasn’t Vivint's fault. I was ready to call the state PUC and complain about Xcel. I’ll take a day off from work and I’ll raise hell and get an answer because I am done.

Vivint Solar response

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story and providing us with such great feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve the solar process for our customers. Please send your address to us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can check your account and confirm that a tech will be coming by your home. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Customer service is very poor. Communication is very poor. Panels and batteries were installed in July, 2020 and I am still waiting on a 2nd inspection because the first one failed. I will advise everyone to stay away from doing business with Vivint Solar (which was bought out by Sunrun). Very disappointed!!! I should have listened to my son.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for letting us know, Elaine. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. We're sorry to hear that it's taking longer than expected. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so we can look at your account. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My experience with Vivint has been good. The gentlemen that I speak with, keeps me inform of what's going on. The other companies said that my home was not eligible for Solar Energy. Vivint said that it was. I appreciate Vivint so much. I just started using Vivint and I am very impressed. I like the security system in my home and the Solar Panels were just put in my home yesterday. I don't know if this is going to make my BGE bill cheaper but I am grateful if it does. Thank you Vivint for everything, I should have used you sooner is my only complaint. My experience has been great and I am satisfy with the services.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Renee! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of our solar community. Thanks for doing your part to protect our earth.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I only have good words for Vivint’s field rep, Corynne **, and the team that installed our solar panels. Every single one of them were professional in their dealings with us. They were respectful of our time and property. From start to finish, Corynne kept in constant communication with us. Her knowledge of the product is exceptional. She was straightforward and provided realistic expectations. My husband and I are 100% satisfied with our decision to go solar and doing so with Vivint.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Lolita! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I send the complain to Vivint Solar many time about the bill too high but they don't solve my problem. They charge me 25c/kWh, my bill cost more than I stay with SDG&E (San Diego Gas & Electric). I have a friend, she's also the Vivint customer who live only a few street away from us, and Vivint charge her only 15c/kWh. My neighbor, who lives away a few houses from me - Tesla charge him only 17c/kWh. Vivint charge me almost double. We try not to use much as we can and my bill with Vivint average over $200/month (More than SDG&E). Do not go with Vivint. They try to charge you as much as they can.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Danny, thank you for reaching out. We see that you have emailed us at online-reviews@sunrun.com and we have assigned a specialist to reach out to you soon to help resolve your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

This is our second time getting solar with Vivint and the first time was flawless and quick. This time, not so much. We installed 6 months ago and have not even been permitted to operate. Every time I call customer service provides no update or insight as to why and they either offer an excuse or blame another department. I actually had to call my utility and county inspectors to get the process moving. Even to this date we are once again waiting on Vivint to schedule another inspection and no one is following up or coordinating this. For having a Coordination Department...they don't do any coordinating. I am very unhappy with them and would not recommend this to anyone!!!!

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for letting us know, Mackenzie. We're so sorry it's taking longer than what was discussed. We don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help speed things up? Thanks!

Vivint Solar Company Information