toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Vivint Solar

Hi, Janice. We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Everyone involved in Vivint has been absolutely wonderful in getting my solar up and running. The staff are professional and efficient, despite working for two days in the awful 110+ degree heat. I am pleased with this company and will definitely refer anyone I know that wants to go Solar. Thank you again.

Vivint Solar

Thank you, Joel! We love hearing that you are pleased with your decision and would recommend us to your family and friends. We appreciate the review and thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: June 3, 2016

My experience with Vivint Solar has been very smooth so far. Our rep, Sandy **, was very kind and thorough. Being an elderly couple, We were skeptical in the beginning. We didn't know much about the solar or different programs and she took the time to explain to us in a way that was very easy to understand. She was honest, upfront and clear about any concerns that we had. She was very patient with us and was always there to pick up when we called her. She even provided us with local references for us to call. We called all 3 and all 3 had wonderful things to say about their system, savings and the service of Vivint Solar. Our time to installation took one month and she got us moving forward quickly. The installers took less than 5 hours to complete about 38 panels on our home. Being retired, we are always looking for ways to save money so this made much sense. My wife and I are happy and will recommend them to our family and friends.

Hi Paula,

We're sorry that our program was not thoroughly explained to you. We'd like to help answer any questions you have and resolve any issues you may be experiencing. Please email us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com with your address or account number, so we can take care of your concerns. Thanks!

Original review: June 14, 2017

It’s not been a good situation with Vivint Solar. They put on solar panels a couple of years ago but it wasn’t really enough. They didn’t put on what they said they were going to. I knew about them after they came doing door-to-door in our neighborhood, offering free solar. We did look into solar energy before that and we were always told that our bills weren’t high enough. It really wasn’t cost-effective to buy solar so we decided we weren’t going to, until Vivint Solar came with free units. However, the units don’t belong to us. Vivint gets the right from PG&E.

Also, enrolling with Vivint Solar was kind of vague. We really didn’t know what we were getting into, and we didn’t really understand what was going on. There is a fee that we paid that’s quite high to PG&E, as part of our bill, for having solar basically. It’s confusing whether we’re really saving any money or not. I guess instead of really saving money, we are just paying it out a different way. The customer service is courteous, but it's hard since there's so many different offices, phone numbers, and people you deal with that you don’t know who you’re dealing with, for what. I’m not happy with it, and you have to pay a lot of money to get rid of it. It’s partially our fault that we didn’t really research it enough.

My brother-in-law told me how the solar energy service was working and I thought if it works that way, then I'll go for it. I went with Vivint Solar and their enrollment was very simple. I asked them through email about how to turn on the service and they gave me the information I was looking for right away. So far, I’m satisfied and I'm seeing what I thought it would but I would have a better estimate of how well it’s working after a year. If anyone was looking at going solar, I would tell them to look into Vivint Solar.

My experience enrolling with Vivint Solar was excellent and the representative who did the walk-around was very good and informative. The people who came to install the system were all very polite too. They all worked straight through. The system was turned on a month ago so I haven’t gotten anything from it yet but as of right now, with the initial stuff, everybody was good and friendly.

Beware when signing a contract for solar panels with this company. The salesman will tell you that you are paying said amount for your electric usage. The fact is you will be charged for the energy the panels produce. Does no good shutting lights off or trying to conserve energy to save money. As long as the sun's shining you're paying.

A friend of mine told me about Vivint Solar and I signed up for it for the savings that I might get. It's been up for almost two months but when the bill came, there was about $20 savings which was not that much. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was also a long process. Plus the panels don't work when it's cloudy. The sun has to shine on it. And then at about 5:00, there's a tree next door that's really tall and it blocks the sunlight. Nevertheless, it works and I'm satisfied with it. My neighbor asked about it and I recommended it. Also, my interaction with customer service was great. The guy who came out was really nice and explained the process to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

I acquired panels on my roof during 2015. Since then to the present, I have had nothing but problems with the system. The company put a system on that's used on the west coast and it has been useless since it's been installed. I've had several tech reps and none of them have been able to fix it on a permanent basis. Only temporary fixes. I've been calling since April 2017 about it not working again and they have not been responsive. Their customer service is terrible.

Vivint Solar's salesman came to our door and we agreed to speak with him. I never do that but he was very pleasant and we enjoyed him. He was quite responsive. He was always in contact with us by text or phone call or coming by the house to sign whatever paperwork. He was frequently checking in with us and giving us status reports. Then I hadn't heard from him in quite some time so I reached out to him and didn't get a reply. About a month later, I reached out again and he replied that he had left Vivint and he was sorry to hear that we weren't getting any response. Since then, we have had no progress.

We put solar on two houses. We started this house which is our primary residence eight months ago and I still don't have a working solar on my house. We agreed to have solar put on our rental house and it has been up and running for about six weeks now, and it started two months after this house. My husband was calling every other day for a while and they would have a different answer as to why. One guy I spoke with was completely non-sympathetic. He told us we are well within the 45 to 60-day range. We told him we are out of that range and he was argumentative saying that those are business days. I told him we were installed on February 23rd and more than 45 to 60 days have passed since then. He just kept coming back to saying we are within their acceptable range. It's like a robot thing over and over again.

Other than him, everybody else has been sympathetic and has been telling us they'd have a supervisor call us. But nobody ever calls. Finally, three days since our last call, a supervisor called. She told us that it was their back office quality assurance review team that was holding things up. Then she asked us to give her two weeks to fix it. Now, one week has passed and I've not heard a word from her. The impact that all of this has on our household is severe because I understand the way solar works. We were told initially to expect our solar up and running by March and we thought that was great. For March, April, and part of May, we'd be able to collect a lot more solar that we could bank so that when the summer heat hits, we'll have some banked energy to use before we start using our air conditioner in June.

We have six neighbors who asked us how was the solar that we got installed six months ago by Vivint Solar going and we told them to call somebody else. We have other neighbors who have gone with SolarCity or other installers who have surpassed us in the process and all the neighbors who were asking us for opinions are now going with SolarCity. We may start to forget this frustration once we get our solar up and running, but it's been a nightmare with Vivint Solar. They are non-responsive. They're leaving it to their salespeople. And when the salespeople are no longer available, you just don't get serviced. They're not concerned about the customer and we are unsatisfied.

We’re happy that we went solar. However, when we initially got everything put in, there were holes in our walls and the guy had just left the house. We had to call and try to figure that part out, which wasn’t a big deal. The customer care took care of everything. They were also with any questions that we had as well. Also, somebody else had to come back out because our system had to be moved. So there were a few little hiccups.

It was also a couple of months before we got our solar panels installed. We had some issues with inspections and the weather. I started looking into it in December. After we got everything on and everything, we still had to wait on inspections and the county inspector had to come on certain days before they could turn everything on. Our appointment wasn’t until February. Other than that, my husband noticed that the kilowatts that we generate have been pretty good with SolarCity. We are happy with the service.

We looked into solar energy services because of the cost to us. At our age, we can't afford to put in a system and pay for it upfront because it would take forever to pay for it and we don't have that many years left. We got one bill toward the end of last month and what we got from Vivint Solar was about $5. So far, it's been good with them and I got no complaints. The enrollment was a long process but other than that, the process itself was easy.

We've been looking at solar energy for a while for the power bills. There was a door-to-door salesman from Vivint Solar but it took us a long time to decide whether or not to do it. They're very patient, willing to work with us and gave us the space we needed to decide. There was no pressure and they answered our questions straightforwardly. We're satisfied going solar and we haven't had any problems.

Hi Brian,

We apologize for the poor experience you may have had with getting your roof fixed. I have looked into your account and our team is working to get a roofer out there as soon as possible. You will receive a call once that is set. If you have anything else that we can assist you with in the meantime, please reach out to us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Started calling Vivint in Dec about leaks due to their installment of our panels. Took till Feb to get them off. Still not fixed and no power generation. It's now June. They are going to let me sit all summer with high electric bills and not get my roof fixed and panels up and operational. Working with the team there has been a nightmare to say the least. I could go on forever but like everything else I don't think it would help get my system back working? The way they treat customers should be illegal. Very sad day the day I signed on with Vivint Solar.

I have looked into solar energy services a couple of times to be environment friendly. A rep reached out to me at the Home Improvement store and wanted to talk but we didn't feel that there was enough conduction in terms of electricity that would be beneficial for us to invest in solar. We already have Vivint as our security system and we didn't know that they have a solar energy service. Their rep who knocked on our door was good and I liked that it's zero out-of-pocket with Vivint Solar. I'm just buying solar energy from them. That was the more attractive part for me as opposed to buying the solar panel, paying the cost, and getting credit. That would be too much for me to handle.

However, enrolling with Vivint Solar took a long time. The channels of communication seemed to be broken. There were minor organizational things that could be improved and there were a lot of different steps that seemed unnecessary which could easily be fixed on Vivint's side. For example, they gave me a time window for the first inspection where the experts would come and look at the house but nobody showed up. Then somebody called after the window time frame and told me they could not come. The appointment had to be rescheduled. That kind of situation made me a little upset.

Later on, I needed to follow up to move into the next step every single time so that was kinda frustrating. And when the final email that I can already turn the service on came, there were pictures of what to do but the pictures weren't showing. It was just a text. It's technical and I could turn the wrong thing on. I tried to reply to them and call them and they said they can't do anything. I forwarded the email to my rep and he said he can't see the pictures either. To this day, they never responded. These kinda small things made me nervous about the decision before the solar service started. But once it started, there hasn't been any concern. I could not yet see the economic impact because we have to pay the whole year, but so far, so good. I don't have any complaints in terms of interaction with their customer service. The people were decent and nice. They were professional all the time. I'll recommend Vivint Solar but with caution to be patient.

Hi Albert,

We're sorry to hear that you may have experienced a roof leak. I went ahead and looked into this case and see that we have record of a different amount that was approved for the damages. I'd like to connect with you to make sure you received the full amount we offered and to help address any outstanding loose ends in regards to the repairs. We will attempt to reach you by phone shortly, but feel free to reach out to us in the meantime or with any other questions at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com.

Original review: June 1, 2017

My roof has been leaking caused by their solar panels. I contacted them about it. They send an inspector. He came to conclusion that half of my house is leaking caused by their panels. They sent out an estimator for a roofing company to do the estimate for them. One week after the guy did the estimate for them, James called me saying they will only pay $500.00 for the damages they caused to my roof. Half of the house is leaking. From the kitchen to our bathroom and my bedroom. I don't think that the amount of damage they caused only cost $500.

My husband had already been long thinking about getting solar but he didn't want to pay for the panels. Then we decided to go with Vivint Solar when it came through that we didn't have to pay for panels. It was easy to enroll. There was something that we had to install but we didn't have to do it since it was already done for us. We had a positive experience and we've been happy.

I wanted to save on my electric bill so I decided to get some solar energy services from Vivint Solar. They're a good company, and their enrolling process was easy. They had a nice, young lady that came around and introduced herself as Alexis and told me all about the program. She did everything for me. She and everybody else that I have talked to have been very pleasant. The first set od solar panels were done last year and were put in for almost 6 months. The second set was done within two months. It took them that look because of BGE and the state of Maryland. Everything they had to jump through to get me turned on. There was a little bit of change in my bill but I'm satisfied. I already recommended Vivint Solar to a friend.

Hi James,

We're sorry that you were not pleased with the look of your system. It sounds like our team was able to fix the issues you had. If there are any other issues that you still need resolved, please message us on here or email us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com. Thank you for leaving us your feedback!

Original review: May 28, 2017

I’ve always been interested in solar energy and I have been looking at it quite seriously. It was easy to enroll with Vivint Solar but it’s been a very difficult road with them. The installation on my house lowered the value of my home. It looked like a commercial installation that should have never been on the side of the roof of a residential home and it was terrible. There is conduit running all over my roof and the pipe and panels weren’t even straight. The databox is still sitting in my living room and they still haven’t finished that. It’s not even mounted on the wall. It’s literally sitting on top of the magazines in my magazine rack. It was ridiculous. I asked them when they came in where they would normally mount it. They said they don’t and they were coming back to do that but I haven’t seen them.

The solar panel installations done by SolarCity or by other solar companies are done in one complete flat surface whereas those done by Vivint, even though as shown in the diagram that there are hold-down clips, they stick up and above the surface of the panels so it looks awful. I begged them to change it. They’re like, “No, no, that’s our mounting system and we don’t do it that way.” I pressed them very hard to get them to fix things. They did and it looks better with the changes they’ve done but it is certainly not the nicest, smooth and clean look that you would see when you drive down the road and you look at a solar installation. I was not being a difficult customer, it was just that it looked horrible and had I gone to court with it, I would’ve had a problem in a courtroom. But that’s not what I wanted to get accomplished.

When I look at my neighbor’s, it looks great. It’s a single, flat plane. It doesn’t look anything like that. They have done a lot of extra work but they still haven’t corrected them. We found a way that we could run all of the conduit into my attic space but if I would have gotten out of the contract with them if I could. I saw on the paper drawing these bonding clips, I figured it’s for electrical bonding or grounding and I had no problem with that but I had no idea these things stick up. When I asked them if we can change the mounting system with the same thing that the Solar City uses, they would not use a different mounting system and they told me, “Oh, that’s proprietary to SolarCity.” It’s not. It’s Vivint's preferred mounting system.

Jim, the territory manager, was awesome. He did a great job but there were other people that were very difficult to deal with and so finally, they were insistent on turning it on. I told Martin, their regional manager, “You’re not turning this on in my property until this is finished.” And he said, “Well, we can’t do the work until it’s on.” I said, “Absolutely not. Why would I go ahead and give you the authorization to go live with this thing then I lose my leverage and I hate to say it that way but that’s really what it comes down to.” If they would put into writing what they were going to do then I would allow them to turn it on live. So they did and got it running live. They got Jim, a contractor for roof work, and he was fantastic. He replaced shingles and did holes into the roof. He was awesome.

It was not a professional set up. I was very disappointed and I was so angry when I saw it and it took me over 8 months to come to an agreement with them to change it. It was installed last August but I finally let them turn it on April of this year. The only reason why I didn’t go with SolarCity is because Vivint was offering a lower rate and I thought I was getting the same system.

I would tell anybody in my street not to go with Vivint and make the mistake I did. I’ve been considering putting it on their website and their Facebook page so that nobody gets ambushed like I did. I was very dissatisfied. They did come back and took care of it but I couldn’t in good faith recommend this to anybody. To this day, if anybody ask me, “Hey, would you use Vivint Solar even though it’s on your roof?” I would tell them, “No, don’t do it. Pay the extra little bit per kilowatt hour and use a different company that has a different mounting system so that it looks nice and clean.”

Hi Jennifer,

We want to apologize for the lack of communication you experienced during the solar process. We know that this process can be a lengthy one, but we appreciate your patience. Thank you for the feedback you've provided, as it helps us to continue improving and make the customer experience as seamless as possible. If you have any issues that arise, please feel free to email us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I am a university instructor and over the years, I've had a couple of students who have worked with Vivint. And I approached one of them but he was not in that area. But he gave me information and told me a little bit about it. Then, during another semester, I ended up with another student who was in the solar. And at the end of the semester, when he was no longer my student, I approached him on it.

I’m satisfied with my decision to go solar but I’m very dissatisfied with the process. We began the process in July of a year ago and we met with Bryan and his supervisor Tyler. We went over things and talked about it. Then they drawn out plans for what they'd propose for the panels and that process was very long. Then they finally came back but the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing at the company. There was a lot of runaround between the two. Finally, they said, "Okay. This is approved." But nothing was happening. Then said, "Well, you can't do that because this has to be done." And that went on for a quite a while.

Finally, things got approved and then we were told that before they could do anything with the panels, we have to replace our tar and gravel roof first. And they said, they absolutely would not install on tar and gravel. My parents bought this home brand-new when I was eight years old. So, it's 56 years old. We knew it was within a couple of years of needing to be replaced anyway. So, we went ahead and discussed that process.

The roofing company entered into an agreement with Vivint that they would cover the cost of the roof and write it into the cost to be written into my contract. Then the roofers were scheduled to come and do the roof but at the last minute, the appointment got canceled because Vivint didn't have permits. They rescheduled for a few weeks out but Vivint still didn't have the permits. But I was told at that point that the roofers got permits to do the roofing that had nothing to do with Vivint's permits. So, I was not pleased that we had pushed that back. And then, we had to have our permits closed for the salesperson to get paid. They had to have their payment within a couple of weeks when there was time. And then I found out that the roofers didn't get paid for 45 days. I contacted Vivint and I got a response back saying that they have a process they follow to pay.

We're also trying to get the solar done so that it would be on last year's taxes. But it’s getting pushed back and back and then they would say, "Well, we don't have permits from the city yet." And I finally said, "Why don't you go park yourself on their doorstep and find out why you don't have permits?" They said, "Oh, we don't want to offend them. And this is the first one in Murray that we've done." And I told them, "It's been two months. Go park yourself on their doorsteps." They walked out of there with the permits in hand. And so then, they said, "We're now scheduling three, four weeks out." Which now would mean it would be January before they would install. And I said, "This whole idea was that to get the state and the federal tax credit on this year's taxes." They finally came and then I was told, "Well, as long as they started, you can claim it." But I found out that wasn't true after the fact.

They finally got the panels up after a period of time but they still weren't operational. They told me, "Well, we have to go through this. We have to go through this series of inspections and back to be operational." Then they got somebody out from the city that was going to inspect. Vivint sent the worker out, and the window of time that they were given was that that they would be here somewhere between noon and 4:00 that day. But I found out that the worker who was sent out could only be here 'till 2:00. Otherwise, it would have put him into overtime. At 2:00, he left and didn't say a word to us. The inspector shows up at 3:45 and there's no paperwork so he couldn't do a thing about it. That man had to reschedule again to do the inspection. Then they set that up and got him back out here. He did the inspection and said, "Everything is great. Except as old as this house is... You got to have grounding poles. You don't have any grounding poles on this house." So, that had to be scheduled and the inspector had to be scheduled to come out the third time. We got that done and we passed the inspection.

By this point I have discovered that until I have permission to operate, I can't claim anything solar on my taxes. I know the federal got extended, so that I can claim the federal this year. But I don't know if the state expired at the end of the December. I may have lost the tax credit for the state. I also discovered that you don't get money back. Instead, you get a tax credit against whatever taxes you owe. So if you owe $9,000 in taxes, you can only claim for that year $9,000 towards the credit and it zeros the taxes you owe. There is no money that comes back to you. Only from what taxes you may have already paid. And then if you have more credits, you can claim it the following year. So, by not having the permission to operate, I ended up paying between state and federal taxes last year $4,500. We did not plan on paying anything because we had a couple of things that had to get done as well and we knew we were getting the tax credit. So we had to pull the money out of our retirement which we weren't penalize on but it could have sent a higher tax back.

At this point, we still did not have a permission to operate. All of the inspection was passed but we had to wait for the net meter. And it took several weeks for the net meter and I got notified that it was in and asked to go out and take pictures of it and to send in for verification. So I went out and looked but I didn't think it was a net meter. And it hadn't been installed yet. So I emailed the pictures and said, "I'm positive this is not the net meter. It doesn't look like the picture you sent and this looks very similar to what I already have." Then the day after that, the power company showed up and put the net meter in. By this point we made the first payment to Mosaic who got the contract, without even being live. We went operational towards the middle to end of last month. It took almost a year to complete.

I would recommend Vivint but I would also warn people about the process. I felt I was lied to. And I ended up getting corporate people because I started making phone calls the day the power company showed up and I had no tech here. I knew that he was there when my grandkids came home from school because they said, "Why is the Vivint truck out?" I said, "They're waiting." And then I turned around and there was no truck there. Then I called the power guy who gave me ten minutes of his time before he said, "I can't wait any longer."

And then when asked about, "Well, why didn't they just leave the paper?" I said, "If he had to leave, why not just leave me the paperwork?" Then corporate said, "Well, homeowners might lose it." I thought, I have a doctorate degree and I'm not going to lose paperwork. And then the power company said, "Why didn't they just put it in the panel box like other places do?" And the response is, "Well, it might get stolen." We have two large dogs here. Nobody is going to go into the backyard with the dogs loose. When we know people are coming, I always made sure I was here because of the dogs. I need to kennel the dogs in the house, so that people can work in the yard. The dogs are friendly as can be but scares the daylights out of everybody. This is why I'm always here.

Also, from once the blue states people came out, you have 7 or 14 days in which to do what you had to do. They were supposed to come out and do the grounding lugs but they didn't show up. I was here all day and I knew they had not come. But they didn't bother to tell me they hadn't come either. So I called the next day and said, "Wasn't somebody supposed to be out here yesterday?" And in looking at it, the person who was assigned either still didn't qualify or wasn't qualified to do it. But they didn't tell me a thing. This is the case where the technician just canceled the whole order rather than say something.

All this time my brother is saying I should have gone with the company he went with where the process took less than three months to complete. But I am happy with the panels. We've been up and my last month's electricity bill had a partial month of operation and my bill had dropped down to 60 some dollars. But Vivint definitely needs to work on communication. You don't lie to your customer and leave them in the dark.

Enrolling with Vivint Solar was pretty smooth. I completed the paperwork online. They asked what they say they would ask, so that was easy. And they did things when they said they would. The customer service was good. They were very easy to deal with and they got back to me quickly. I've had my solar panels operational for about two months now and I am satisfied with my decision to go solar. It was a great experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our initial Vivint Rep was great and very helpful, after that it was downhill quickly. After months of waiting the system was finally operational or so we thought. Vivint's portal for us to monitor our panels output didnt work. After waiting literally hours on their terrible customer service lines they finally got a tech out. Seems wires were disconnected and installed incorrectly. At least our house didnt burn, one bright spot.

Next fiasco: Vivint bills us for $90... FOR THE MONTH THEIR SYSTEM WAS NOT WORKING! Fast forward a few months, system stops producing again. More time online waiting for hours, Tech finally dispatched. Tech says the panel had come loose and needed to be snapped into place. AGAIN WE RECEIVE A BILL FOR THE MONTH IT WAS NOT PRODUCING! We have decided this is our last go-round with Vivint, we will not contact or pay them until they call us and settle to our requests. My advice, do NOT use this company, if you are already stuck with these hacks, STOP PAYING THEM. Cut them off from auto pay, it is the only way they will contact you. We can only hope a class action lawsuit begins soon. They demand payment for not producing power, they ''Estimate'' costs of course always way over cost and in their favor. Their customer service is actually the worst I have ever experienced.

Hi Jackie,

We're sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your system. We want to get this sorted out for you. Please either send us a private message or email us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com with your account number or address, so we can look further into your issues. Thanks!

Original review: May 24, 2017

Some of the things I read said about Solar Vivint, "Watch what the salesman tells you and everything because it's not gonna be like that when you actually go live and everything." But, I was assured that the customer service and all that stuff had improved. That's why I chose them. They also sent me to ConsumerAffairs to verify that they were rated pretty fairly because I was looking at just Reddit online and there were a lot of negative stuff out. But ConsumerAffairs was a local one checking the local area and I saw good stuff. Everything was good but after the installation, I saw some things that should improve their customer service later on and now, I'm not 100% sure that I went with them. It's unfortunate but I'm locked in right now.

I did have a good experience with Vivint Solar. It's a self-install because they put that little orange plug on it. “Okay. Take the orange plug. Run the power on. Then turn the box on.” But there was a missing piece in the current instructions. It talked about one of the four electric pieces that was not in the instructions. I was worried about that because I didn’t see anything. It didn’t say about the meter. There was supposed to be a net meter in there and then something was done on the Pepco side or with the existing meter.

It showed 50 kilowatts being generated the first three weeks when I had it but then something went out. They had me go to the Wi-Fi box but it seemed to be working okay. The Wi-Fi is a killer for a lot of things but Vivint Solar needs to know when outages occur so they can notify the client as opposed to waiting until the client notify them after checking online to see if they're accumulating anything. I was led to believe that my panel, which I recently installed, would handle all of that from day 1. But, that solar won't be on the Smart panel until sometime in the future. So, there were misconceptions. That was disappointing to my wife because she doesn’t go on the computer all the time. She goes to that panel all the time and look at the cameras.

I had to call in yesterday but I can't get somebody to come until Friday. The system has been out since the 11th so that's five more days of not being operational. I thought everything was okay, but somebody should've came out and work with the new customer, and check everything to make sure everything is operational once you go live. But nobody has been at my house at all to make sure that things were right because they leave it up to the consumer to have that little thing looked at.

The instructions were not up to date based on the pictures that I saw on my new system. Customers need to know that everything is working and Vivint needs to show them. Now, they want me to troubleshoot stuff but I know nothing about the system. That's the bad part about it. Thankfully, I still have Pepco to back up my electricity. It’s a good fallback. If I was relying totally on Vivint and I didn’t have the backup, it would be devastating.

I did 35 years of customer service and I’m passionate with it. And that’s what I expect to get because I always gave it when I had a team of people that were providing service to the consumer. So I expect to get a certain level of customer service from whatever service I'm paying for. When things go wrong, Vivint Solar don’t notify me. I got to go in physically. It's not like my alarm system. I have Vivint alarm for about seven years now that’s why I chose them. I got cameras and all that stuff from Vivint and I can see on my phone but this app is not a phone app. I have to go through Chrome and go to a website to see all the things.

They should be responsive to a current customer so all of that other stuff people are complaining about won't happen to me. The salesman assured me that they’re on top of things. Vivint needs to do a better job after they lock somebody in with how responsive they'd be to people. Solar is a new thing to a lot people and everybody don’t understand it. You leave somebody hanging after the installation and you just tell them, “Keep the switch. Oh, you're up and running now,” but then there's nothing after that.

Basically, they need to improve on when they actually go live with somebody, that there’s somebody that can walk people through what they can expect to see and everything as opposed to a salesman who is out to just make money and lying to people up and everything. The company needs to have somebody going around at least one or two days after that activation to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Also, it would be nice to teach everybody in the house what to look for in case there's a need for troubleshooting. My wife doesn’t know anything about it. I was out of town for seven days and she wouldn't know what to do even if they call her to do that. Try to keep sending the technician out. It's expensive but being in a business, they got to deal with these things. Overall, it looked good and I was pleased with the service over the time it was operational. But today until it’s up and running again, I'm very dissatisfied with them.

Hi Brian,

We're sorry to hear you feel that way. We have been making changes to our customer service structure, to make sure our customers have a better experience. If you have any outstanding issues with your account, please send your address or account number to socialmedia@vivintsolar.com or message us on here, so we can work on a resolution. Thank you for providing your feedback!

Original review: May 23, 2017

My experience with Vivint Solar was absolutely horrible. Although there were moments of glimmering hope. I'm neutral on my experience with them now that my solar system’s operational but it took them two years to get it operational. Their biggest problem is they're trying to do everything out of corporate customer service instead of personal relationships, and it's just a disaster. We disagreed on the means that they were gonna use. We had our initial plans. But when they came out, they changed all that. I said that it's not acceptable. They need to get approval before they can make major changes like they're proposing. So it took them two years to get around and actually getting somebody to personally come out and talk to me, go through what we needed to do, and get an acceptable plan in place and solve the problem. But now that it's set up, the solar system seems to be working adequately.

The other thing is, it's been almost two months since it's been operational and I haven't seen a bill yet. Their whole billing process is mysterious. They're just completely impersonal. It's like dealing with Bank of America or Citibank or some other impersonal organizations. There's really nobody that’s knowledgeable, capable or competent of providing systems and information. At least the local manager was amazing. He was the only bright spot in the whole project because, despite their system, he really tried to maintain a personal relationship and was empathetic and helpful. Ultimately, when he was released to do the job, he got things done. But it's their corporate structure that’s messed up.

I've talked to other Vivint customers and it's weird when how you have a bad experience, all of a sudden, everybody had the same bad experience. You don’t care if one person says anything good about a company. Vivint is one of those companies where I've never heard anything good about them. Constructively, they can do much better. They have the capability but they just need to get their act together and really develop personal relationships, and that’s where they're weakest on. So here's the challenge. Like most corporate organizations, nobody’s going to say the king has no clothes. Regardless of what feedback you give them, I would be highly impressed if they were able to make an effective change. Typically, when it starts from the top of management, nobody better say anything. Good luck with that.

The rates were going up on our electricity. Solar energy service didn’t cost me anything and I didn’t pay a penny. I thought, if I sell my house, it might make it worth more. The salesperson from Vivint Solar was extremely nice in explaining everything to me. I felt it couldn’t go wrong and I could save a little money. Also, the man that got on the roof to see if I would have enough sunlight and if it's a good roof for collecting the heat and his wife are very avid gardeners and love plants. I gave him a whole bunch and he was laughing and laughing. He said his wife is gonna go crazy when she sees those. Then two days later, I come home and my whole front porch is filled with plants that they gave me. That was a surprise.

It's been turned on a little while a couple of weeks ago and they were very professional installing it. The prices have gone up once since I got it. But they have to bring in electricity from out of state. I'm going to be satisfied if my rates are lower because I have to look out for myself and it's a big house but I'm okay with it. Some of the neighbors were saying it's not a good deal. One neighbor even cussed them out and shooed them off. It was terrible, but they thought they were taking advantage of a poor old lady like I'm stupid. They think I have dementia but I think I did the right thing and I've mentioned it to several friends.

I have been looking into solar energy services and considering it for a while. I wasn’t really keen on it but put some more power down to it and SDG&E's rates keep going up every year. I thought I’m ready to go solar. We came to this neighborhood and I was showed Vivint Solar around the grid. The rep did all the enrollment work. We just signed the document from them here so it wasn’t too bad. It was a lengthy period of time which is a little upsetting because it took a while and a part of it is the process.SDG&E held everything up. Getting terminated, getting installed and then getting it started is a lengthy process but it is what it is.

The people from Vivint Solar came in, installed the system on the roof, got all the mirrors bearing it and I never heard back from them for two weeks. They had to have an inspector come out to check the system. I was a little upset because I had to call in to get that done. They didn’t follow up with me on it. And it just got done recently. I know I paid my first bill with them but I’m getting bills from SDG&E and I find it hard to believe that I used more than what I got in the solar system, so I’m a little confused on that process. I got a bill from them for $2.47 and another one for $11 and another one for $22 and it says "don’t pay this debt." I don’t know what the hell any of that means or why I am even getting billed from them because Vivint Solar has set the system up and it was based on my usage. My assumption is that I will be paying them for my energy and for the solar.

I’m trying to figure it out by checking. It might have been the transition in the middle of the month from solar to SDG&E, so I can tell them that. I’m giving it a couple of months until the billing works out. I thought I was clear on whatever was explained to me, but I’m not clear to getting conflicting things here. The install, no out of pocket money install, is essentially covered. Free install. I understand Vivint Solar gets the solar credit which covers the cost of the unit installed, but my understanding is I’ll be paying 16 cents kilowatt hour.

They average my bill for a year to figure out what I would pay but the last bill I got was $89 and I’m trying to figure out was that when I used in solar or is there a lease. I assume it’s a lease on paying a certain monthly fee plus whatever I use in solar which I wasn’t cool with sky lighting roof at home because I asked them several times ago, “So 16 cents kilowatt hour?” “Yeah, oh yeah.” I’m still working through that, but it’s still cheaper than the SDG&E by half, so I’m not too upset about it. The rep cleared that it's a monthly lease plus the cost of the solar.

The price is going up on electrics so we decided to look into solar energy services. Everything was good dealing with their salesman however, there were some breakdowns in getting the system operational. I signed the contract in July and had it turned on last month. Things seemed like there was corporate mandated versus someone that's really wanted to get things done. Initially, we were approved but because it took so long, I had to go back for another approval. Corporate only did so many approvals a month, so I had to send it later around for them to finally get the approval form to complete the system that was already approved once.

I was a little hard on their customer service because of some of the corporate policies that were set but it wasn't their fault and they were really good. There's still stuff that hasn't been completed, like when we actually have to build a wall to move the house. I did the wall and they came in and painted it. First, they only painted the front rather than just paint the back side of it. Then, they had to come back and change out some sizing and wiring. They still got sections and the pipe is not painted alongside the house. So some of the finished stuff has not been completely finished.

Hi Katina,

We're sorry to hear about your frustrations and would like to look into your account further. Please message us on here or email us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com with your address or account number. Thank you.

Original review: May 19, 2017

One of our neighbors talked us into Vivint Solar. I started seeing them going up in the neighborhood and I was curious. But I am a little bit bugged about the enrollment because we had had three other bids and one of them had come in quite a bit lower than Vivint Solar. Everybody wants to sign me but Vivint's salesman was pretty crafty. One of the things that we had talked about is the other company that had come in at a lower rate who said they would do a $500 Visa gift card. We're going to Florida in a few months, so that would be cool. When I was telling Vivint's guy that we were thinking about signing up because that was one of the other things that I was interested in with the other company, their salesman said he can do that for me but I still haven't seen anything.

I had somebody come and knock on the door one day and asked if I am interested in solar. They didn’t see it and so I told her we already had it. She asked me how I like it and that’s my complaint because that’s my experience and it was one of the draws that took us to Vivint. The other thing is that the other company was fairly new and warranty-wise, we thought it's a little bit comfortable. The warranty was comparable but when you're looking at this other company that’s fairly new, you wanna go with somebody who's been around. Also, my neighbors talked about how great their experience has been. But now, looking around through my neighborhood, there are a lot of my neighbors advertising for and recommending the other company. They're really pleased with them and I haven't seen any Vivint advertisement for a while.

Hi David,

We're sorry to hear that there was some miscommunication about your bills. I spoke to Drew in your local office who informed me that we are working to correct your panel count. We hope this will help put you at ease. If you have any issues moving forward, please feel free to reach out to us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, so we can help resolve them. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 18, 2017

We had 3 salesmen come here. The first guy Jonathan said, "You will get $20 bills." The second guy Erik said, "You will get $50 bills." Never happened. The last guy Drew said, "We want to make you a happy customer by saving money with your electric company." He said, "You will get a check from your utility co." They never installed the correct amount of panels. We want the system down since it never saved us anything. The first 2 guys left them and the 3rd I don't know. He was suppose to call us 3 weeks ago but we never heard from him. They promise you but don't deliver. I am paying 2 bills. They wasted our time.

I've had Vivint for a while, but I had an addition. I had the solar installed about two years ago and it filled one half of my roof. They came back about six months ago for the add-on and said, "We got better solar panels and we can do the other side of the roof." They got the engineers out to take a look at it and make sure that it's worthwhile. I said, "Yeah. I got no problem." I got panels all over the place.

Their customer service team called up on time, made arrangements when the techs were gonna be there, and they were exactly there at that time. It was very good. They were excellent. Also, It's new technology and my wife says, "Nah, nah. I don't want that," but when she got the bill, she's happy. Last month's bill from LIPA, now PSE&G, was $33 and Vivint was another $45, so $80 for the month, which normally would be over $200 before. It was a great experience and the people were knowledgeable. The product is up-to-date and the installers were great. I've been telling everybody about Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar

Hi Jissel, We're sorry to hear about your frustrating experience so far. I checked with our team and they confirmed that your account has been credited. If you have any further issues, please reach out to us at socialmedia@vivintsolar.com. Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I purchased my home back in November 2015. I was given a copy of a copy, transferring solar services from the previous homeowner (whom is deceased). I never ever heard from Vivint until march 2017. I received an email to call them. I called Vivint and was transferred to loss mitigation/collections. They told me I had an outstanding balance of over 1200.00+ dollars. After explaining to the rep the miscommunication Vivint Solar and I have had, she continued to talk and treat me like I was trying to avoid payment and was just rude. I have no problem paying my bill but I do have a problem with a negligent solar company. I asked, "Why am I just hearing from you now? Why haven't I received a bill?" "Oh we're a paperless billing company." "Ok well why didn't you call me?" They can't answer that.

Loss mitigation transferred me to another rep who was supposed to help me log in to my account online since that's never done, so I can start paying my current bills and receive them via email. Oh, but guess what, the system won't let me (I still have the rep on the phone with me BTW) and she is clueless. We try several different ways to access and several numbers, nothing works. So I get transferred to someone else and he wants to review my account and call me back tomorrow.

Since my last phone call, I did receive an invoice (I thought they were paperless billing) and a certified letter notification to pick up mail from the post office from them. Wow... They don't talk to new customers or let them know what I had signed up for or a courtesy call for a whole year and 6 months but by darn they do hunt you down when you owe them money. That's poor business. A week later (today), I call them back since no one called me back. That's poor business.

So for the 4th time I have now ended my call with Vivint Solar, made a large good faith payment, and still no one understands why I cannot access an account that I have 2 numbers to. I now have two accounts. My "paper" invoice had the wrong installation address and they do make sure to highlight in different markers all the words in your invoice. I had two dates of billing on Jan and Feb of 2016. I have gone nowhere but spent about 4 hours of telephone time with them. I'm quite sure I spoke to the same lady as last week who was supposed to send me a copy of my transfer agreement and never did. So when I said, "Hey I think I spoke to you last week, same name and voice." She replied with "Oh ya there's another lady by that name here and she sounds like me." She told me I signed documents in january. Well I purchased my home in November and there is no possible way.

They just continue to pass you around. So disappointing. This new lady promised to send me a copy of that transfer today just like that lady did last week. So let's see... All I want is a little courtesy credit since I will be stuck with them for another 15 years, and to log into my account to make current up to date payments. They're unaccountable and negligent... Horrible service.

Hi Karen,

We're sorry for the trouble with receiving your incentive bonus. It looks like this was taken care of on our end and was delivered on 5/19/17. Please let us know if you haven't received this or have any additional issues. Thanks for providing us with feedback about your experience.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I was referred to Vivint and have known about them for the last three years. In fact, we have our security system through them. Since a couple of the houses around our area have solar, so we decided to go solar as well. As far as the decision to go solar, we’re satisfied with Vivint. However, we’re not satisfied with their customer service. We initially signed up back in November. After everything went through, we were approved in December and were promised an incentive bonus because we took a higher rate. And now, we're still waiting on them to decide or to find out if they are going to give us this money and when.

We are a little upset about that, so I told the young lady that if this is not resolved by the end of the month, we are going to have them pull the solar panels because it's a breach of contract to us. They promised us one thing and we're not getting that promise. So, why should we continue to stay with Vivint when we can go to another company? So far, they have not given us a time as to when they will resolve this.

I looked into solar energy services for the environment and because it's worth less money. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was fine and there was no hassle. They did the installation and they monitor it. The reps always kept me aware of everything that was going to happen. They kept me in the loop, and I knew what was happening and when it was going to happen. So far, they're very good.

Vivint Solar Company Profile