It's that easy Request Information
3.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

2064 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 25, 2019

My neighbor across the street put solar in his house. Then when we were out in the front yard, I queried him about who he got it from and how much it costed him. He told me about Vivint Solar and that it cost him nothing. I still didn't quite understand how it worked. Then Ryan, a freelancer that represented a couple of different companies, showed up at my door and was selling Vivint Solar. I began talking to him about that and the deal where there would be no out-of-pocket expense appealed to me.

We went through the process. There are certain conditions that a client has to meet and an agreement to sign in order to sign up for the deal. It took at least three months for them to design the system and send somebody to come out and survey it. Then it took two trips for that because the guy had an equipment problem. We finally got around to deal to where I qualified and I was interested. So we signed all the papers and they came out with a crew of three people and installed the system. The permitting process took some time. There was initial permitting through the local power company and then another one from the county billing inspection department. Finally, we got through that. And it has been working for two months now.

There's only two living in my house, the wife and I. And Vivint Solar determined that the 13 panels would produce enough power for the two of us. The solar system doesn't work at night, so we use the local power. Then in the daytime, it produces more power that we use and it goes into a bank and the power company keeps a record of that. Then you build up credit over time, which is used against what you use from them and they balance it out. The first month's bill was great. I owed the power company $6.86 but I owed Vivint Solar $54. It was about $60 in total. On an average, my bill at the time was $93. So that's about $30 a month in reduction on what I was paying for the power. I still have a bill from the local power company, but it's more about records and the amount of power that's being generated and used.

I love Ryan because he is a neighborhood kid. He went to high school here three blocks down the street. One time, he told me that he was gonna come and show me how to hook that system into my computer so I could monitor its performance and activities. But he has never done that. He said he was gonna do it a couple of times, but he never did. Also, my neighbor next door to me is interested and the guy hasn't come back and contacted him. I'm dissatisfied that they haven't gotten back to me. I'm not getting a response to this business of getting in touch with the people that I know that would be interested in this program. There's not enough follow-up.

In addition to not hearing from Ryan, I haven't heard much from Vivint Solar. There are so many agencies involved and that's the reason it takes as long as it takes. So the follow-up with all these activities that have to happen, Vivint Solar doesn't have any control over. They're patient, but the client is not too patient. And I don't understand why it takes so long.

I also would like to see an organized company in uniform or at least in a uniform shirt that says Vivint Solar on it. They came out here and got blue jeans and cowboy boots. Also, the vehicles that they come out in don't have Vivint on the side so that neighbors can see what company it is. Vivint has a product that they should be proud of, and their workers should be proud to work for them. But to date, I'm satisfied with the cost and the payment result with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Johnny, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that Ryan took good care of you. Thanks for going solar with us!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve been researching solar for 20 years and noticing that for small houses often where I live, there’s not a lot of roof area. It’s a little house and solar really didn’t put up enough power. Then more recently, the technology has improved enough that now, it does. I have an associate that I work with, and he bought a house recently in Los Angeles where there’s a bigger house and a lot of sun. The house came with solar as part of a mandated thing that the housing tract had to do. And so, another guy and I were watching his bill being a negative number occasionally or very low, and our bills were higher. So, that kind of got us started again.

So, I did review the research again to see that now, the solar panels are putting up more power. And so, I contacted several different companies, got various stories on incentives and odds and ends and different people that seem pushy, and salesmen who didn’t seem to know what they were talking about. And out of all of those, one of them was Vivint, and they seemed to be much more straightforward and knowledgeable. They also had the best incentive. I was able to get a friend in Phoenix on board, so both of us are supposed to get 500 bucks.

Another big determining factor was the fact that with prior solar things, one has to finance and pay, and they’d tell you, “Oh, It’ll amortized soon. And soon, it will be worth it.” With Vivint, you don’t pay anything. It’s free. They maintain and monitor it. They install it, too. My roof was in good shape so I could just go ahead and do that. I have zero out of pocket expenses to put the thing there. Both the guys at Vivint Solar that I talked to on the phone, sales and coordinator types, and the workers that came out, were all very professional. There wasn’t a lot of BS and they were polite.

PG&E supplies my power in California. When I got my first bill, it was in the middle of the month probably because the new system has started, so the prior month, it was like 200 bucks for PG&E, and then all of a sudden, it was 50 bucks. That sounds great but it was in the middle of the month and it had so many bizarre terms and odds and ends and taxes and adjustments, and this and that, that I really couldn’t say what it’s going to be like. Plus, under the new system, I’m supposed to be paying Vivint a certain amount every month. I’m buying the power from them and then pass the certain amount that they will charge. PG&E will charge the difference. And there are different other factors that one never would have thought of that they got in them like taxation and all kind of stuff that plays into these things that makes it ridiculously complicated.

And then they make reference on the PG&E bill until the end of the year to adjust the profit. Normally, you just pay for power. In this case, you’re putting power back into the grid, so that they’ll profit from that, and then the loss from what you use over and above that. And that’s constantly monitored, adjusted and regulated. So, whether this is worth it and by how much, it’ll probably take a year at least to see how it all plays out.

Out in California, we’ve had a lot of big fires. And everybody is pointing at whoever might have the pocket, whether they have it or not. And it may prove that the biggest advantage of going solar is to escape PG&E’s rate increase after the fires. Overall, everything with Vivint Solar so far has been fine. I wish I could see in the future, a year from now or two, what the real difference is because Vivint is gonna raise their rates a couple of percent every year.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Ron, we are happy to hear that after such extensive research, you choose to go with Vivint Solar. We are excited for you to see the savings. Thank you for leaving us a review! And thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Vivint's sales people came around the neighborhood and at that time, we were not yet considering going solar. But they said they’d save us money on our electric bill, so we signed up with them. Two sets of panels were installed in our house and we have two accounts with Vivint Solar. Paying two separate bills for solar panels on one home causes a little bit of disruption in trying to budget because you don’t know how much each panel was going to generate at a variable feature of the solar panel in general. We got a bill for $28 on one shot then we got a bill for $30 on another shot. But with the regular electric bill, you can go on what they call a budget plan where you lock in a fixed rate each month and at the end of the year, they make an adjustment and you either get a credit or you owe a difference in underpaid usage.

When you have a situation like we have now with two separate accounts not being married together, it makes it kinda hard to project in the future what our electric bill is gonna be. Now the Pepco portion of the bill, we have it as a fixed rate and it’s a bit high. But not having a complete full year with both the accounts and the Pepco bill married together, it’s very difficult to budget ahead especially for those of us who are on “fixed incomes”. Unlike a car or insurance payment where you know every month what your payment is gonna be, we're kinda scratching our head with the Vivint situation we now have.

With the very unpredictable nature of mother nature, we’re not gonna know how much kilowatt production goes to systems they’re gonna generate until we got some time under our belt. This past winter was cold, but this winter that we’re currently experiencing has been unseasonably hot. For instance, today, the temperature is gonna go up to 60 degrees but last year at this time, the temperature never broke 30.

I was also concerned that because of the two accounts being generated, we were not made aware that once we got the second set of panels, which consist of 21 panels, to marry up with the 22 that we already had, we had to log on to Vivint's website and turn on a “switch.” The second set was put on the house last August and while we were getting a bill on the initial installation, we never got a bill for September, October, November, and December. So that also added to the confusion. Finally, by way of telephone communication with Vivint's account payable department, we were able to find out what the bill was on the second installment and we paid it. And hopefully by the end of this month, we’ll know what the two separate bills are for for the first time,

Other than that, we enjoy the service. I also know that Vivint has good people and I’m not complaining about the product itself. The problem is overseeing the product and meeting our liability and obligations to Vivint Solar because as customers, we’re getting a product and service that we have to pay for but we're unable to project down the road because there is no fixed rate program available.

In the future, when we have a “track record” well established with the kilowatt consumption on average, maybe at that point we might be able to think seriously about improvement for Vivint to the customers that would allow them to do what the general electric companies in the neighborhood do like Pepco or Philadelphia Power Gas Electric up in Philly area. Because people want to be able to plan ahead of time how much money they need to set up and set aside so that any obligation, financial or otherwise, can be met without any strain or effort on the part of the homeowners.

The other problem I ran into with Vivint was the snow guards. The ones on the front panels of the initial installation were covered by Vivint because we had a blizzard and because of the lack of the snow guards, our rain gutters came down. So we had to hire somebody to come out and fix them. Vivint was very good and very accommodating in admitting their error and they reimbursed us for the cost of re-hanging the rain gutters. When the second set was placed on the home, we were told that snow guards would be included but we found out after the installation that they were not included and that we had to pay almost $1,000 to have 30 feet of snow guard installed.

The issue with that is, we didn’t own the panels. Vivint does and we are renting them. So as a rental product, we are held liable as a homeowner to pay for protection of those panels and I had a real problem with that. So as of today, we do not have snow guards on our north-facing solar panels. That is an issue that never got resolved because I don’t have $900 to pay for that. And if I do pay for it and something happens to the snow guards, they become defective or do damage to either the roof itself or the panels themselves, who’s liable? That’s another issue that never got resolved. So that’s where I stand right now.

Vivint needs to do some type of analysis based on regional locations of the homes in the United States. As a general rule, homes in Florida, Arizona, Southern California, Alabama, Mississippi, and Southern Georgia, are not gonna have a snow guard problem. But when you get north of the Mason-Dixon line, we’re subject to heavy snow damage or blizzard condition. So it should become an “automatic” portion of any future installments. Vivint really needs to seriously consider that because the panels are their property and they need to put into their program that additional protection to their property. Other than that, with using their service and the solar panels, we’re helping reduce the cost of electrical generation for our homes and helping reduce carbon emission. That's a very good thing and everybody should strive for that.

Vivint Solar response

Hello John. We are sorry to hear that you've had some concerns regarding your billing as well as with snow guards. Please feel free to send us an email and we can look further into this for you. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have a number of people in my community that have Vivint solar panels up on their roofs. I was hesitant but I thought about solar panels so I called Vivint and I asked for someone to come out and speak with me. I ran a business for 30 years before I retired so I have a pretty good way of analyzing people sitting around me as to whether they're giving me a sales pitch or being truthful with me. And I was hardly impressed by the young man that came out to speak to me.

I knew that solar is probably the wave of the future. When I spoke with this fella we looked into the ins and outs of it. He brought out and even wrote down for me the negative aspects. He told me what they offer to help with those and that in the end, I should come out in the positive. I also had about five negatives of my own that I thought were a lot more important than the ones he had shown me. He was very nice to answer them.

The enenrollment was a simple process. The regulatory side with the township and with PECO, however, started out to be a struggle. But I know somebody politically in my area and I asked her if she could put some fuel on the fire, and she did. It was amazing, even Vivint Solar said they can't imagine how I got this done as quickly as I did.

PECO told me that once their final investigation was over and approved, I could push the lever on the meter box outside to go live. But that wasn't true because Vivint Solar had to have a go-ahead letter and they were not in possession of that go-ahead letter when I pushed the lever. Legally, I went live around the middle of September. When Vivint Solar called to say I can go ahead, I told them I already did. Now, my PECO cost for electricity has gone down, which I understand, but because I'm paying 12.5 cents per kilowatt hour to Vivint, it's overbalancing my savings from PECO. Not by much though. But I understand that we're going into the period of the year where the solar part is going to minimize because there are less hours of sunlight going into the solar panels. It's producing fewer kilowatt hours of solar power.

In that case then, when we get into the late spring and through summer, the kilowatt-hours produced by the solar panels x 12.5 cents would be my cost. The way I see this, it's gonna be outrageously higher than the PECO electric charge. I understand that for every kilowatt-hour produced by the solar panels, it cuts back on PECO energy's kilowatt-hours. But a PECO kilowatt hour is at a cost of about eight cents, and every kilowatt-hour produced by the solar panels is at 12.5 cents. Where's my savings? I'm being told that in the late spring and summer season, there will be a lot more solar kilowatt-hours produced. In some months it will override the kilowatt hours used from PECO and I will have no PECO electric cost.

The problem is Vivint's website stinks. It shows minimal information. To somebody who's not up-to-date with solar energy, with pure electric energy, and doesn't care what their bill is, it would be okay. But for somebody like me who studies solar energy, electric power and costs before doing it, it matters a lot. What matters, even more, is my wife was ultimately against putting solar panels on the roof because the company had to drill into the roof to put what holds the panels. The holes could possibly cause a leak. I had to explain to her why that thought of hers was wrong.

Other than those, my experience has been great. Vivint has been over useful. Everything that I've asked for and everything that they told me has been up to snuff, other than we still would have to see how the cost works out at the end of 12 months. I wanna go a full cycle because there are supposed to be months in there that I will have no electric cost from PECO. When I average it over a 12-month period and if I come out ahead because of the solar panels up in the roof, then I'm a happy person. But if it comes out that I got screwed by Vivint, I'm certainly not gonna be very happy. But they keep selling solar and California is now mandating solar on new homes. I can't see how I can end up losing here. I'm going into it with a positive mindset.

If I come out even, I won’t be happy but I would be understanding. I'm stuck on a 20-year contract and if there are gonna be issues, they would be legal issues because I'm not gonna end up paying more than what I was paying for the next 20 years. I would be 93 years old by then and I don't know whether I'd even be here.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Robert! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Vivint Solar did a door to door in my area. I wasn’t going to sign up with them, but they offered up a signing bonus and I reconsidered. The salesperson was top-notch in terms of wanting to track down answers for me and allay any fears or concerns. We’ve been turned on since mid-June and he just came by to see how everything was going.

I have positive feelings about the local customer service guys. But they were vague and there was a fair amount of time when the left hand didn’t know what the right hand was doing. However, during the enrolment, I felt pressured. The salespeople were probably under a certain amount of duress to get people signed up. There was also a fair amount of left hand not knowing what’s going on with the right hand to be done. They changed the design after I signed the contract on the panels and didn’t tell me until they went out to put them on. And they wanted to move some from the front to the back. So, I called and spoke to my salesperson who picked up on the fact that they changed the number of panel and I didn’t pick up on that.

They installed two fewer panels than what was on the contract. They had to come back and do another installation which took entirely too long in my estimation given the fact that they were trying to get us booked before December 31. It wasn’t until February when they came back to install the additional panels that they inadvertently didn’t put in the first place which then pushed everything else back. Having this as their mistake, they should’ve found a way to get out here sooner.

Also, I have an issue with respect to the conducting of business generally. They told me I had to have an auto debit from my account in order to pay which I refused since I’ve had a bad experience with that. I had to give them my bank account number which I wasn’t comfortable with and a copy of my deposit slip upon signing up. Then, it was very difficult to get it stopped. Yet I was told that I had to do it since that was what it said on our contract. I read the contract and had a whole bunch of questions, some of which neither my salesperson nor the person he called to consult with me had ever been asked before. One of those was based on the contract that I didn’t have to auto debit and that I could write them a check. But then, the only way was to give them my bank account.

After I did that, they said I could go in and take out that information once I set up my online account and I would not get billed until my system was turned on. It was a little bit of a hassle because they didn’t need it in the first place. I called customer service to figure out how to get into where I take out the information out. The software system is not very intuitive and I had to go through a process that I’m enrolling in something to go in to be able to take the information out.

I had to call customer service to figure out how to even get into where I take out the information out. I actually had to go through a process that I’m enrolling in this to go in to be able to take it out. The software system was not very intuitive.

After I took the information out, I started getting auto emails from them saying that they noticed that I took the information out and that I better replace it because that was part of the contract. Then when I get turned on, I got an email saying I got a bill. But when I looked at it, there was no statement. There was apparently a communication issue or they thought they proactively sent me an email saying, “We’re coming out to take a look at your system after it’d been turned on because we’re getting a code from your inverter.”

I followed up and said, “Explain to me how this works. I need to understand how you find this out.” I got some good information from a tech person who took the time and explained how I could read the production stats on the website. The guy came out, said there was nothing wrong and that it didn’t communicate until next week. But they couldn’t tell me why it wasn’t communicating. It’s not that it wasn’t producing power anymore but it was not telling Vivint it was producing power. And that was the time I was trying to pay my bill. Someone then would have to come out which could take another three days for someone to schedule to come out and fix the problem.

Apparently, all my historical information was gone. So, I had nothing to marry my bill to. They said, “It’s still there. You just see it through a different portal than what we see it.” But I said that I wasn’t paying until I could marry it up with statistics that I could see. The guy then came for problems which they thought were there but it turned out there weren’t.

And then, a whole week after it had been communicating, which was not because of what the guy did, it stopped which I found out when I was trying to pay my bill. I said, “How is it that the fact I’m not communicating isn’t popping up on some operations person, an exception report on a daily basis, that this has been for eight days now that there’s been no communication?” They said they had a ton of customers. I know there could be a number of reasons why something couldn’t rectify itself and that only until they get to a certain number of days could they start paying attention that maybe there is a problem. So I had to, on a much more interim basis, log in and see if everything was okay which as a little onerous for the consumer to do.

Another thing of note is that they have a third party billing group that handles the invoices and payments, and that their website makes it look like it’s them, because it’s a seamless interface. There is no mechanism through this third party billing for me to pay online without being enrolled and having something stored for auto pay. So, after I got through all this, took my stuff out, got someone to email me an invoice because I couldn’t communicate, I went back in to try to pay my bill, I couldn’t do it without putting in the information and re-enrolling in auto pay. So, I ended up calling the billing department and paying manually.

On the other hand, I also had extenuating circumstance after the panels were installed but before we got the permission to turn it on. I found that I had moisture behind my siding in one area. So, I replaced all of my siding. That became a little problematic since the panels had already been installed on the roof. It didn’t impact the siding, but all the piping coming down from the panels down to the fuse box is on the side of the house, and the inverter box. They had to come off the house in order for the siding folks to be able to put the new siding on. I thought that it was gonna be a huge deal and that they were gonna charge me to come out and do that, but they didn’t. So, I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Based on the things that we’ve been through just to get turned on and to get things situated with them, if I could do it over again, I wouldn’t because it wasn’t worth the signing bonus. With respect to the ongoing savings versus the electrical, it’s too soon to tell because I’ve only had one bill with them. And although my experience with the people that I dealt with has been, by and large, very positive, the fact that I had to speak to as many people as I’ve spoken to was not. They’re probably not just adeptly equipped to deal with a paralegal such as myself. Nevertheless, I’m hopeful as to the savings that I would realize since it’s too soon to tell. And although my ongoing relationship with Vivint has been a little up and down, it will now become seamless.

Vivint Solar response

Victoria, we’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We're happy to have you as our customer and we appreciate your feedback.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2019

My bill was $450 before and I’m glad I went solar. I’m so glad it worked out and I'm not gonna take it off. But I was not happy with Vivint Solar's service. First of all, nobody told me it was gonna take eight months from the beginning to the end to put it on. There was one rep who was the nicest person in the world. He did everything very quickly, like as far as the contract, and they also put the solar panels so quickly. But from the time they put the solar panels to when they started working, it was a nightmare. Second of all, there were big issues because the team was not communicating. I had to communicate between them. They sent us wrong plans for the solar panels. They did not send an A to Z form and I couldn’t talk to anybody. After that, I read the reviews and it was really not pretty. I was like, “Oh my God. What have I done?” Now, I have a lease for 20 years.

Another thing is that nobody told me I will pay a fee for what I produce. The first month was $70 but now we got a bill of $181. I called about the bill and the guy was so rude to me. He was like, “Oh, you didn’t know about it?” I thought it was a flat rate fee. But now I got a $181 bill. I was told I was paying for what I produce and I don't understand that. After the almost-a-year of trouble that I got, I'm paying just a little less money for my electric. It doesn’t make sense. A rep even said, “So what’d you want? You want me to send you application to disregard your contract?” That was rude. But there was one rep who was really helpful. She would call me back and deal with the companies. I have a lot of neighbors who want to do solar but I don’t wanna recommend Vivint Solar because I’m scared they’re gonna be mad at me.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Nataly, we are happy to hear that you are happy with your decision to go solar. We are sorry to hear that you experienced some frustration with the time frame to the system being turned on. If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 877-404-4129. Thank you.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Enrolling with Vivint Solar was a good experience. The salesman, Tony, was outstanding and it appeared to be a win-win situation for us. He had an honest way about him and we liked him. Thus far, we saved probably a half of our electric bill without any cost.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Michael, we are happy to hear that Tony did a great job and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My co-member in church introduced me to Vivint and at the time, I was looking for a lower rate. I've been with them almost two months and I've gotten my second bill already. So far, my bill has been higher by five bucks. Also, though the system I have is already on, it's not like the panels on my other co-workers wherein I could read the panel. With what I have, the screen is not reading, so I don't know if I'm doing things correctly. Still, their installation process was okay and their guys were courteous when they were here.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for your review Elisa. We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with our representative. If you have any questions regarding the system please feel free to call us.

Original review: July 15, 2019

System installed on October 29,2018 and has yet to be activated (July 15, 2019). Vivint blames National Grid for delays, National Grid emails indicated Vivint submitted paperwork is not complete. Still waiting for inspections to be scheduled according to web portal. Recent email to customer service bounced as undelivered due to recipient server issues . Sales manager doesn't respond to emails as well. Installers put holes in screen windows (4+ months to issue check for that damage) and I am still finding fasteners in my yard on a weekly basis. Not a pleasant experience with this company so far.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Tom, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations, but we would love to look further into them. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com. Thank you.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Whatever you do, do NOT choose Vivint for your solar power. Customer service is terrible, especially once your system is installed. I installed my first system back in 2014 after a year in my 2000 sq ft home. The system had 36 panels and still only produced enough electricity to leave me $1,800+ short come time for my PG&E "True-Up". This happened for THREE YEARS, even after bringing it to their attention. After four years I finally got a check for $1,300 to "make me whole" (I guess math isn't their strong suit - like customer service - either; $1800 x 3 does not equal $1300).

Shame on me for thinking I just didn't install enough panels and listening to their offer for an expanded system (another 20 panels). After initiating this in May 2018, they were promptly installed. Unfortunately, they didn't turn the damn thing on until March 2019, nearly a full year later, even after I had contacted them starting 60 days after install. An absolute joke that was. Not only that, it's not like they integrated the installs. They're quite literally two separate systems and accounts. What fun that is.

But there's MORE! In July 2019 I received an invoice showing I owed $0 which is odd because if there's anything we don't have a shortage of in Kern County in the summer, it's the sun. Well, sure enough, I looked at my billing and it showed zero production for one account as of 07/14/2019. As I scrolled back through that account's production, it had not been producing SINCE June 11, 2019, over a month later. Curious me looked at my other account and found that it was producing (at least, it said it was), but from May 2 through July 8, 2019, it also had zero production. What gives?

It takes forever to get a tech out to have your concerns addressed. The system is installed poorly (on top of all the extra hardware, screws, and wire left everywhere up on the roof, in the gutters, on the ground, in my driveway, etc., the anchors to which the system is attached to my roof are now coming undone and the entire system is sliding). There is no care given for the color of your roof tiles and your system's hardware (I have a dark grey cement roof tile and for some reason, they thought light tan-colored, 12" x 12" tile replacements/system anchor covers were a good choice). And again, customer service absolutely sucks. Don't fall for the trap that is Vivint Solar. You will regret it. I know I do. Find a better option - there are plenty out there.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Josh, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We have received your messages and have previously communicated to you that a specialist will be reaching out to you today. Thank you.

Original review: July 15, 2019

A young lady from Vivint Solar was going door-to-door in my neighborhood. She was traveling on a Segway and that kinda got my attention. Vivint explained the process to me and told me I could save money and not have any cash out of my pocket. Their reps came here for the enrollment process. We sat down and talked face to face. They knew their stuff. I called customer service a couple of times. One time I called to power and turn the system on, but Vivint hadn’t done that yet. There was a couple of days delay. I’m overjoyed with my decision to go solar though. Vivint Solar is a top-notch company. They were very good to work with.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Joseph, we love hearing that you had a great experience with the sales representative. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Original review: July 13, 2019

My bills with So Cal Edison were about $350-$400 during the summer so I talked to my supervisor at the time since he had Vivint Solar and it really was a no brainer. Dan was the rep that came to my home and explained the whole process and took care of everything from beginning to end and we still maintain contact through text if I come across any questions. Customer service has been outstanding and now 2 more member of my family went with Vivint and are extremely happy. Just keep in mind that it can take a little bit of time for the system to be running but it is well worth it. We are looking to buy another home and I will contact Vivint Solar again to have them on our new home as well.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Juan, thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that Dan was professional and helpful and that you have had positive experience with our customer service team. We appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I decided to try solar after a Vivint rep explained how the system would work, as well as the payment, benefits and disadvantages of it. He was honest and I felt very comfortable with solar. The enrollment process was easy, however, I was getting pretty negative about the whole thing at first. I kept getting big bills from SMUD, because they said I wasn’t having enough output from here.

So when I was getting $500 a year payment to pay them, it started to get ridiculous. I've gone over a $1,000, and thought that that wasn't right. I've heard many people say that when you have solar to pay for it outright, and you don’t get a bill. I told Vivint I was getting the high bills from SMUD, so they sent out another guy and decided to put some more panels up. They also offered to pay that $500-and-some, which was the last bill that SMUD sent me. I gave Vivint the bill, but I still haven’t received the check. So right now, I have a negative attitude. But I understand that what happened was not Vivint's fault, and I was in sympathy with them. In fact, they did everything that they’re supposed to have done. It was up to SMUD to follow through, and they were taking their sweet dear time.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I heard about Vivint as I was reading about solar and the best companies that are available, and I had seen the trucks too. But it was Darrol, the rep, who really brought it to my attention and made me take action. Darrol and the technical guy that came with him described the program in great detail. Everything that they told me verbally was also written out so that it matched the language. So far I‘m satisfied with going solar, though I was a little disappointed that it took a little longer because there was a glitch in the system. It was like on standby mode and they had to send somebody out to fix that.

The only time I'm not happy is when I call for service and they come to do something, but their people don’t communicate with me that they have done it. Vivint's technical people need to stay in constant contact with the customer. Also, they should not just assume that we are home while they are. When they come, they should let us know that they’re there. When they get done, they should let us know what they finished and what their findings are. They don’t do that, and I have had to call to find out.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I almost fell for their sales trap. Although the energy consultant was friendly and tried to answer my questions, he failed at tricking me by making numerical mistakes on the price and also just giving his word on promises that the system did not include (e.g., backup batteries) on paper (sales purchase agreement). I kept asking the questionable details various times. Be careful with this company that is fishing for suckers who don't do their math and do a market comparison before signing up for a misleading quote.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Carlos, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to follow up on this if you can provide us with the sales representatives name or badge ID, feel free to send us an email. Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My daughter introduced me to Vivint Solar and told me that it would lessen my bill. I tried it and ever since, the bills I get have turned out pretty good.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Francis, we love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Vivint is a Great company!! We had a Great experience from beginning to end!! Very personal and Kyle was great!! He helped us through the whole process and answered all our questions!! We would totally recommend Vivint to anyone considering solar!!

Vivint Solar response

Wendi, we love hearing that Kyle took good care of you. Thank you for the review and choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I didn’t wanna spend money on solar panels. I don’t wanna make that payment to lease it or buy it. And then I was walking by the neighbor’s condo and he said that this company puts it up for free and you get 30% to 40% off your electric bill, and I thought that was a good deal. I'm satisfied with my decision. The enrollment part was easy. I called up and got this really good customer service person, Brooks. He walked me through the program and answered all my questions.

I'm a type of person who always ask questions, and he walked me through the plan, told me what I'm gonna do, what I'm gonna get, and how it's gonna be broken down, and the billing. He was real patient with me. He told me the incentives. Everything was good. But some of their communication, like to try to reach somebody, that’s not that easy. Like I had a billing question and I contacted the billing department, and it took a long time to finally reach them.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Robert, it is great to hear that you've had a great experience with us and we are happy to hear that Brooks was able to help you. If you have any questions feel free to call us. Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I was impressed with the presentation of Vivint Solar and what they offered when they offered it. They showed up when they said they would and the work seems to have been done. I've got problems with the system, like WiFi communication problem but I don't think it's irremediable. I also think the problem partly has to do with the quality of the WiFi system I have. But also, I'm sending them emails and talking with them about things that are not going quite right. But I haven't gotten any feedback.

If I were to give them a piece of advice, it would be that when they do get a complaint, they should follow up with the customer, at least let them know what's going on. But I don't get that communication. And I do think that if you call them by phone or send them an email, they don't necessarily coordinate real well between the two methods of communication. I don't think if they just don't incorporate them into one database or what they're doing, but it seems like the left hand, right hand problem exists.

Everything about installation and so on went reasonably well. But they've not completed the installation in the sense that there's still tiles from our roof, still waiting reinstalling. But when the system worked, it was working fine. Some problem like that of the quality of my WiFi system, has been addressed, and it's been upgraded. But I need somebody to tell me what to do to make it work. I'm not very dissatisfied. But I need to get the issues addressed. I am assuming that soon, I'm gonna have somebody here to fix this or tell me what to do.

Vivint Solar response

Hi John, we are sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing. Please send us an email with your address so we can look into this further. Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2019

The "right person" at Vivint to get out to fix a shoddy installation issue hasn't responded after two weeks of bugging their main customer service number. This after we were told by a follow up repair guy a month after installation that he had "fixed" the problem. Up on the roof 6 months later, only to find they'd never fixed the issue at all. Vivint customer service won't give me this person's number so I can contact them directly - I'm forced to call back their main number again, and again, and again, every three days or so, to tell them that no, no-one's called me yet about getting this issue fixed. I wish I knew what it would take to get.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Laurie, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations but we would love to look further into them. Please send your address and review to us. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My experience with Vivint Solar has been okay. But it seemed that it took them a while to put up the first panel and then it took three months before I could actually use them. Also, they didn’t put enough panels up on my roof the first time and I had to get some more panels. I noticed that the panels get better every day though. I have two different kinds of panels on my roof. One panel was at 285 and then my new panels were at 315. But my interactions with their reps were okay. I was satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Vivint Solar response

Frank, we love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I’d been wanting to go solar for some time and I was looking for the right way to do it. One of Vivint's salesmen came to my door, and he told me that he was still new on the job so when I had questions, he couldn’t answer. But he brought someone over that could elaborate, so he did a good job. The installation also went well. They had it all done in one day.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I love Vivint Solar. I knew Vivint was a security company but I didn’t know about the solar part. I know the local rep that had joined Vivint Solar and was repping. I had looked into solar prior, but decided not to do anything. Then I sat with her and she explained a little bit more. It made more sense at this time, and I just moved forward. The rep was brand new. I did allow her some wiggle room because she didn’t know everything. We did things and, no, that was wrong and we had to redo it. Vivint Solar tries really hard to train their representatives to understand. But I think every situation is different and the things that I learned with the rep, she’s incorporated those things into her new questions and her new understanding of how they proceed. I think she’s gotten a lot better understanding of how long things take and the next step, and when I get copied in and when I don’t. But it was relatively easy. Mostly everything is electronic and DocuSign. It just takes forever here.

The system has only been on since April and going solar was the right thing to do even if I didn’t save anything. When I read the contract the first time, it didn’t stick in my mind that it was based on production, not use. So, I was a little confused for the first couple of months until I realized that it’s production. I called the company and they explained. They’ll do a true-up at the end of the year with how much I’ve produced versus how much I’ve used NV Energy.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Cheryl, thank you for the review. It is nice to hear that your representative worked with you closely and your experience has been a good one. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar to go green.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

Vivint Solar came to my house. The guy who was the salesman was real good. He looked at my bill. He broke it down for me and said what I would be saving, and that got me interested in solar energy services. To run my house, it’s $900 a month with electric and gas. However, the first 2 months weren’t good. I got a bill for $447 which was more than my bill last month of $127. They said it was a glitch that they didn’t send the month prior which I believe I did pay. But enrolling with Vivint Solar was easy and fast. The people and the work were great but the outcome so far isn't. I would like it if it worked out to where they said it would be like $200 a month.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for your review, Michael. We are happy to hear you had a good experience with the sales representative. If you have any concerns with your billing feel free to email us with your address and we can look into this for you.

Original review: July 4, 2019

My sister has solar and she's happy with it. She’s on the same street as me and although she doesn’t have Vivint, that was why I decided to look into solar energy services. Everything seemed to be real good with Vivint Solar during the enrollment. It just took some time with APS. But they've gotten it hooked up and we got our first bill the other day online. What I like about it is you don’t have to buy anything. You don’t have a contract. The rep also said we were gonna get a $500 check for that but we haven’t received that yet. I recommended my next-door neighbor and she signed up. That’s why I would get that.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Mary, we are happy to hear that you've had a good experience going solar with us. If you have concerns regarding the incentive for your neighbor please send us an email with your address and your neighbor's. Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I had been wanting to go solar, but cost-wise I couldn't afford it. Nonetheless, I went with Vivint Solar. It's probably now been a month that I've had the on switch and it has been great. All the installation was done in one day. The inspector came one day, made sure that it was safe and would work. And then another day, we scheduled to have it installed. Then the day of the inspection, they painted it to match the house. Everything seems to have gone very well. I would recommend them.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Tamara, we are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Original review: June 22, 2019

A friend was telling me about her experience with solar energy services. I would be paying less with solar than I would with Edison so, it sounded good. However, I’m wondering now if I did the right thing. I got the first bill for $12. I’m perplexed with the next one, which was for $133 because it wouldn’t be with Edison. I haven't experienced that at this time of the year. Nevertheless, the interaction with Vivint Solar's customer service was very good. If there was a problem, they solved it. They came through with that, so I was pleased.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Evelyn, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that you have had a positive experience going solar with us. If you have any further questions or concerns please send your address. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had a very good experience with Vivint Solar. I talked to a guy that placed my order. He is also my go-to-guy if I had any problems or questions. I was then set up with another gentleman to set up all the who's coming out and what I need. Then we scheduled a time and they were in and out in a day. I wasn't interested in spending $25,000 on a system and with them, they put it up for free. I just pay them my electric bill which is less than what I'm paying now. It's a win-win.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Mike, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with us and that our sales representative was professional and helpful. Thank you for going solar with us!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

It's our 4th month with Vivint Solar and so far, it's been good. We had a little problem getting things done because it took a while to get it up. It took about 3 months because they had to go to the electrical company and they somewhat couldn't get permission from the county.

Vivint Solar response

Hello John, thank you for leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations regarding the timeline of the solar process, but we are pleased to hear that you have had a good experience with us since receiving permission to operate. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I bought this house a year ago and Vivint Solar came at the beginning, but I decided not to do it. A few of my friends had solar and they said it was a good thing and it saves you on light. Vivint Solar came again so I did it this year. Enrolling with them was good. There were a few steps but it went pretty fast. They said the installation of the panels was gonna take 8 hours, but they were done by 4. But now, I received the bill and it's wicked high. Now I understand about the way it works with the panels. They're saying that the more you have, the more your bill is gonna be, and I didn't know that. But I would recommend Vivint Solar. I wasn't too happy about the bill being so high, but I just started getting the bills. I don't know if next month is gonna be lower or what's gonna go on so that's the only concern that I have.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Maria, thank you for leaving us a review. We are pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience going solar with us. Please send your address if you have any further questions. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

This company offers solar panels and a product line of solar batteries, powerful chargers and smart home apps to customers in 22 states. Plans include solar purchase, solar loan, solar power purchase agreement (PPA) and solar lease.>

• Solar panels: Vivint Solar offers polycrystalline panels for those looking to save money and monocrystalline panels for greater efficiency.

• Combined services: The process involves consultation, design, permitting, installation and activation. The company has partnered with LG Chem that provides batteries with an energy capacity of 9.8 kWh and warranty of 10 years. They are wall-mounted, noiseless and touch-safe.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information