2. Solar Energy
Vivint Solar

3.8/5 (503 ratings)
Vivint.Solar (A SunRun Company)

About Vivint.Solar (A SunRun Company)

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Pros

• Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

Top Vivint Solar Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what...

Verified

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nic...

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2021

We have just completed the installation of the solar panels and are waiting for inspection and activation. I can't comment any further other than to say that the installation team was prompt, efficient, and professional. If everything from here goes as well there is really nothing to complain about. The only thing I would caution future purchasers is to be prepared for the unsightly junction and relay boxes outside your house. You may need to obscure them somehow as we have since they are in a quite visible area on our property.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for your review, Edward! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I had my solar panels installed yesterday and the installation team from Bakersfield CA was fast, efficient, knowledgeable, and very professional. They answered any questions I had and explained the system operation to me as well. Our Sales Rep Grant has been amazing as well. He has answered all our questions and everything he has told us about the system and the process has been 100% correct. It is obvious he knows the solar business inside and out as well as things other reps may say that are incorrect or misleading. I have read some of the reviews below and can't believe some people are referring to the same company.

California is screwed up in many ways but when it comes to solar the regulations they place on power companies definitely are there to protect solar consumers and for that I am grateful. I will get my final inspection in 5 days and expect to receive final sign off from our power company within two weeks. At this point I am very very satisfied with the system and this company.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Charles! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My experience with Vivint has been good. The gentlemen that I speak with, keeps me inform of what's going on. The other companies said that my home was not eligible for Solar Energy. Vivint said that it was. I appreciate Vivint so much. I just started using Vivint and I am very impressed. I like the security system in my home and the Solar Panels were just put in my home yesterday. I don't know if this is going to make my BGE bill cheaper but I am grateful if it does. Thank you Vivint for everything, I should have used you sooner is my only complaint. My experience has been great and I am satisfy with the services.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Renee! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of our solar community. Thanks for doing your part to protect our earth.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I only have good words for Vivint’s field rep, Corynne **, and the team that installed our solar panels. Every single one of them were professional in their dealings with us. They were respectful of our time and property. From start to finish, Corynne kept in constant communication with us. Her knowledge of the product is exceptional. She was straightforward and provided realistic expectations. My husband and I are 100% satisfied with our decision to go solar and doing so with Vivint.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Lolita! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I have been wanting to install solar panels for about 10 years and have been requesting bids for 2 years. There were always roadblocks. Vivint Solar role through all of them and made it possible. From beginning to end my sales rep, John **, made the whole process effortless for me - even during Covid. Whatever issues there were with the installation, his team resolved them. Whatever delays or hiccups occurred due to city or utility permits/inspections- they stayed right on them to ensure my experience was perfect. I would highly recommend this company.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Nicole! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Original review: July 16, 2021

1. Salesperson’s promise is not kept after the installation: 6 month free of charge offer was not kept.

2. Damage to my house made while installation is not fixed.
    3. No response to these Complaints for more 6 months. Customer Service issued case number, but no more progress nor update since then.

4. Very hard to communicate: customer service lacks in professionalism.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Tohyong! We have assigned a specialist to contact you soon. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us at online-reviews@sunrun.com. Thanks!

Original review: July 9, 2021

This has to be the WORST company EVER. No one returns calls. The Sales Rep is useless. Once he gets you to sign the contract he's done with you. Customer service doesn't know what they're doing. I wish I never heard of them or started a project with them. Panels were installed 2 months ago. We still do not have solar power or as they say "Permission to operate". Still waiting for the installation to be finished. The rep promised all sorts of compensation. We asked for all of it to be put in writing, have not received a thing. Do not believe anything they say.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Gigi! We have assigned a specialist to contact you soon. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us at online-reviews@sunrun.com. Thanks!

Original review: July 7, 2021

Vivint Solar is horrible. The sales guy lied just to get the sale. The system was set up but did not work and was eventually fixed, but since they could not Get a proper reading since the system was not turned on correctly they "guessed" how much power I would use. So, the bill was almost $500 when my SDGE bill has never been that high. The sales guys Mohamed stated I would never pay more than my SDGE bill is now.... NOTTTT!! Customer service was not helpful. They disconnected call multiple time because they could not explain why my bill was so high. This is Truly a scam. Please, Please don't go with Vivnt. Do your research.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Jessica! We have assigned a specialist to contact you soon. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us at online-reviews@sunrun.com. Thanks!

Original review: July 3, 2021

Ron knows his business, he explained everything that I needed to know. Took his time making me aware of the savings I would have and always assured me that he would be a phone call away if I had any additional questions. I am glad I went solar because the savings are way more than I expected.

Vivint Solar response

Arlene, your review brightened our day! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money (and the earth) with solar energy! Thank you for taking the time to send us some feedback, we love having you in our solar community.

Original review: June 29, 2021

The installation crew didn’t have a standing job however they did not clean up after themselves and I had to call and have the guy return to clean up the mess from the attic. And then I found sawdust all on the outside of my house by the garage door and black stains from their hands on the walls in the garage, in the wall, in the attic door to go up to the attic. I don’t feel less you have to clean up after your crew. And also had to be repainted When the first guy came out to see if it could be installed in our attic.

Vivint Solar Company Information