3.80/5
Based on 466 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

1214 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

In 2013 asked Vivint to remove solar panels so I could repair my roof. After the repair Vivint came to reinstall the panels. I went up there they said they were done only to find that they set the panels down on the corner and pierced holes in my brand new roof in various places also it looked like they dropped a hole saw drill and gouged out my roof. Had I not gone up there to inspect myself I would have never know what kind of damage they had done. Vivint fixed the issue but only after a dozen phone calls and complaints. So now 2018 I call Vivint to remove 4 panels and they want to charge me $500. I reluctantly pay but told them if I have to pay that much I want them all removed. I expressed my concern with Vivint about the previous time I had them do this and I was assured it would be done right.

After I had my patio installed I called Vivint to reinstall. I again expressed my concern. After the install I went up to inspect the work only to find trash and all the wires and brackets hanging down touching the roof. This is not how it was when they removed it. I called them back and asked them to fix it and I want my money back to which they said as a COURTESY they will refund me $250 of the $500. This is unacceptable and asked for my full refund as a COURTESY! In order for me to get the rest of MY money Vivint want me to sign a contract stating I cannot speak poorly about them. I sent an email asking why when you gave me half the money already without signing anything. I'm not sure where else to turn.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The team worked well together. They explained everything to me and listen to my concerns. Rigo and his team were great. My go to guy Roland ** is awesome. He stops by and checks up on everything. He answers all of my questions. I would highly recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

In my neighborhood, Vivint Solar went from door to door a couple of years ago. I know one part of my system has been here for a couple of years, and they just now installed more on my roof. They were great and enrollment was simple. I had a nice man come here and help me. I had a great experience on the phone, except I just got an amazing deal from Edison. They talked the hell out of me, $398 that went all at once. The city took too bloody long to get it all done, and I have a feeling that’s why I’m paying this extra money to Edison right now. I'm satisfied with going solar, but I don't understand how it's priced out. It makes no sense to me. In the winter, it is higher. In the summer, it is lower electrical. But, I guess that's just the way it happens. Customer service is excellent. I’d recommend them. I did better than most of the other people.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I've had Vivint a little over two years and my experience with them has been very nice. There's a very big difference in my bills since using them. I'm saving money so it was an excellent decision to go solar. I’m very satisfied with them and I would tell anybody that I know that they are great company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have solar with Vivint Solar for years and beside how long it took them to put in the system. I was also promise lower bills. They have come to my home several times because their system does not work and now my bills are higher than ever. I have contact the Attorney General office because I have also receive a letter from them with threats. Not to talk about them. This company has be a nightmare from day one. I truly believe their employees and their legal attorneys do not know how to tell the truth.

Their solution now is to put more solar on my roof to try and lower the bills that is more than it was with my electrical company. I believe someone have to step in stop Vivint solar, I am also contacting my representative because I believe they are taking advantage of people. For those of you who had a great experience good for you, most of us have not. There are several information on the web with other who are in a nightmare at this time. I will get some agency to help me, I will not stop. This company is horrible.

Vivint Solar response

Ashlyn, We are sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would like to look into the matter further for you. Please send us an email with your address or service number at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can further assist you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Mike ** helped us with our solar with recommendation from my sister and we couldn't be happier!! Super great to work with and made the process thus far utterly painless and easy. Now can't wait to turn on the power!!

Vivint Solar response

Noelle, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience so far!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

John is a great guy. Explained everything in full. Very pleasurable. Thank you for everything. Looking forward to checking the completed job. He was very knowledgeable and reviewed everything with me. John also left me with feeling very comfortable with my new system. Thank you again.

Vivint Solar response

Joseoh, we are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with John. Thank you for your review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The biggest scam! This salesman show up at my house, and he promise me that the only I’m going to paying is the loan for the solar panels! That’s was pure crabs, I the bills from Duke Energy they keep coming, I'm really very very frustrated! With two bills! I tried calling Vivint solar and the salesman and mosaic, I don’t want the solar panels anymore! And they crack the wall from my brand new house? My next move is call the local news and report this biggest scam and contract a lawyer! Please do not fall in this game! If we get all united for this scammer we can stop them.

Vivint Solar response

Michael, We are sorry to hear about your frustration. We would love to take a look at your account and assist you with any issues. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Our bills were too high and we wanted to look around then we found Vivint Solar. The enrollment was really easy for us but we have a little bit problem understanding the warranty. I met with Vivint Solar three times and the representative responds, was positive, and explained everything to us. I've got them for a month now and it’s working good for me so far. One day I called them, they made an appointment and they came to look at the problem I had after within a week. They were fast. Vivint Solar came recommended from other people and I also tell others who ask that it is doing good for me.

Vivint Solar response

Rajveer, we are happy to hear that we have been able to resolve any of your issues in a timely manner. Thank you for your review.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The sales rep was very nice and knowledgeable in what he was talking about. He convinced me to switch to solar. I started looking at it and it seemed that it would help me because I wouldn’t be paying that high electric bill that I was paying. I was paying up to $300 a month on Edison. I've had solar for two years now and I’m very satisfied with that decision. My Edison bill is way lower now, sometimes under $10. Then the highest that I’ve had the Vivint one is about $125 and that’s in the winter time. But in the summer time, it comes down and it’s been as low as $68.

The enrollment wasn’t very difficult at all either. They took care of everything and they explained it to me. After it was all installed, we went through the inspections with the city and then the inspection with Edison. Then they told me to turn it on and it’s on. I also asked them what happens if I produce more electricity than what I need and they said that it would go to the grid. Edison would take care of that and then whatever my bill was with them, it would probably be reduced way down or I would get a check at the end of the year.

Vivint Solar response

Gema, we are happy to hear that we have been able to save you money by going green with us! Thank you for your review.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Beware of Vivint Scam. In Sept. 2017 I was shocked to find Vivint installing a massive solar system on 4 sides of the tile roof of a rental property I own in Desert Hot Springs, CA. I immediately had them stop, and said that I had not authorized the work. They said someone would call me to straighten it out. Nobody did. I called & emailed them, and each time I was passed off to someone else ending with promises that I would be promptly contacted. I never was. I had my attorney reach out and still no response. Instead, I was emailed a nasty 8-page document called a "Confidential General Release, Waiver and Settlement Agreement".

This document would have prohibited me from taking any legal action, making any complaint, and releasing Vivint fully from any liability in exchange for a promised repair of unknown quality & a 2 year warranty that probably isn't worth the paper it is written on. But I am left with 160 holes in my roof, as well as the Vivint electric setup on the side of the house. The roof now needs to be replaced. On looking into the matter, I found that Vivint had forged a signature of an unknown person as "owner" on the City permit application for the $33,880 installation. Vivint lied to my tenant that I had already approved the installation and that her relative was already a Vivint customer. Vivint told my tenant that the system would be completely free and oversized because they were going to sell the output and give her a credit. No contract was ever signed by me or my tenant, and none of Vivint's promises were ever put in writing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

From Sales to install the experience was great. Program fully explained and made us feel extremely comfortable with the process. Install team was very professional and polite and left the yard and work area clean. I’d recommend Vivint to anyone interested in solar technology. Thiago and Team you Rock.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The crew was very respectful. It was a very good experience. I was very surprised at how quickly and efficiently the job was completed. I was very pleased with their work. The area was clean and neat when they left. Thank you for such a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I wanted to see if going solar will eventually save me money so I signed up with Vivint. I was able to sign on those iPads which made the process easy with less paperwork, and they emailed everything to me. Customer service has been great. If I had any questions, it's been fairly easy to get them to answer. I got really low electrical bills now, but I hate the customer charges and everything that get added to it with PG&E. Other than that, Vivint went above and beyond, and I haven't had to contact them regarding any problems. I would recommend them to anybody.

Vivint Solar response

Catherine, we are happy to hear that you have had a good experience and appreciate your recommendation and review.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My wife and I were trying to save money on electric and I saw Vivint Solar's advertisement when I checked into solar people. Their representative came and we sat down and talked. I asked him questions and he said that it was going to save me money and won't cost me anything. So, we filled out a little bit of paperwork and the enrollment process wasn't big.

The only problem we had was waiting around because the installation took so long and we were anxious to get it. Yet the Vivint Solar people were very good and nice, and they call every now and then to see how I'm doing. They're really helpful because I was getting real low in electric bills and then for some reason, my electric bill went up quite a bit and they couldn't understand why. So, they came to the house and talked about it. They decided to put more panels up on my roof and that worked out well. They were concerned that I wasn't saving enough money. Vivint Solar is a really good company and easy to work with.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Hilary ** from Vivint Solar helped us to have solar panels placed on our home. She did everything!! She arranged all the permits and set an install date that fit our busy schedule!! I would recommend Hilary and Vivint Solar to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I was thinking about doing the upgrade in the house and when I googled solar energy service, it said that Vivint Solar's panels were going to be free and that it was a reputable company. I had other people come to the house, who also claimed it to be free but they were pushy. When I met this Vivint Solar guy who came to the house and talked to me about the solars, he explained to me in a professional way. So getting enrolled was really easy and everything was really smooth. It took a while for them to be connected in the house but after the work they've done, I'm happy. Everybody who had come and install it talked to me and was very friendly and professional. About two weeks ago, I started using them and so far, it's been working pretty good. I recommended five people already. That's how happy I am with the service and how everything went. This is a great company.

Vivint Solar response

Manuel, we are happy to hear that you went with us and that you have been willing to recommend us to others as well. We appreciate your review.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Working with Vivint Solar has been one of the most positive experiences I have ever had with a company. Everyone has been informative, helpful and professional. I am saving 40 percent off of my utility bill and will continue to save more every year. Katelyn, my sales representative answered all of my questions, and was very responsive during and after the install. Not only did she answer all of my questions but she explained different aspects of the solar process that I would not have thought to ask about.

This company is extremely honest and trustworthy. I am slowly seeing more and more Vivint installs across my town. I highly recommend Vivint Solar. My neighbor and I both have Vivint and have nothing but positive things to say about this company. I would encourage anyone to call them, it was unbelievable to me that I did not pay anything and now I have a solar system on my roof. Now I just simply save more each year on my power bill, and am so happy that my utility rate did not go up 20% like the rest of Connecticut. Do yourself a favor and call Vivint Solar today!

Vivint Solar response

Patricia, we are happy to hear that this has been a good transition for you and that you are excited to be going solar and save some money too. We would like to say that we appreciate your review!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was visited by a Vivint representative who told me I could save money with electric bills. As my husband had passed away recently at that time I was in need of saving money and accept the offer. Big mistake! Since the solar panels were installed my bills (Mosaic + Electric Bills) have been increasing with new records month by month. I closed down my swimming pool, started living without air conditioning, did laundry after 11 pm, everything to have my bills lower - nothing worked. I live in Florida, with lots of sun.

I lost the count on how many times I called Vivint and the emails I sent. I sent them one year of electric bills. Many times they just ignored my attempts of contact them. Sometimes they promised they would solve the problem, but nothing, nothing, nothing have been done. I wish I could turn the clock back to the day the Vivint representative came to my door. I would not even talk to him. My life, that was already difficult at that time, became almost unbearable, with the little money I had to start living again, going to pay the bills, making even more difficult to deal with grieving, start making money and trying to have a life again. It's been almost a year now. And still, total negligence by Vivint in helping to solve the problems they created for a client.

Vivint Solar response

Nalu, We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We would be happy to further assist you. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can verify your account and further assist you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

From day 1 our sales rep lied to us. They installed our panels incorrectly, they didn't install our inverter so our panels weren't even working. Then they misinformed us about our rebate and the process. They said they would apply for our state credit and when it came time to file our taxes, they wouldn't do it. Horrible experience.

Vivint Solar response

Channing, We are sorry to hear about your frustration and concerns. We would love to take a look at your account and assist you with any issues. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Our family wanted to get solar energy services. And Vivint Solar presented us with a program that we thought we can deal with. They were very helpful and explained everything. We concurred with everything they said and they gave us time to think about it. The process went great. Their customer service team checks with us all the time and we talk with them. They told us to call them if we have any concerns. We're satisfied to have gone solar. We really look forward to having it and we hope it stays that way. I would recommend Vivint Solar and tell others it has been great for us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Vivint Solar's customer service has been outstanding. They have good employees. I would recommend it. I’m still in the process of trying to absorb the actual reduction of my bill because I haven’t noticed that much of a difference as of right now. I’ve noticed that when the electrical power went out, we didn’t have any power within the house itself. So, I would like to check on a backup battery. So, that way, we have power 24 hours a day.

Vivint Solar response

Johnny, We love to hear your feedback. We are in the process of offering batteries to existing customer. You can reach out to our Customer Service team at 877-404-4129 and they can provide more information.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I talked to people that have solar energy services and it seemed beneficial. It’s better than PSC&G. I enrolled with Vivint Solar and everything went on time. When they said something was going to happen, it happened. And they took care of everything we needed taken care of. Everybody was helpful and I was satisfied.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for the time you spent leaving us a review, John. We are happy to hear that you are being taken care of.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Solar is good in helping to save the planet by burning of less fossil fuel. Then there was a Vivint Solar salesman who came to the door and I was also told that everything would be basically installed for free and there would be no cost to me, which in turn, on the one side was true, but then the other side was a lie. Because now, the company is charging me on the amount of electricity that the solar panels are making at a much-inflated rate as compared to what PECO was charging me. I can't do anything about it because I agreed and signed the contract without understanding it completely.

Vivint Solar response

Ira, We are sorry to hear about your frustration and concerns. We would love to take a look at your account and assist you with any issues. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have had the solar panels about 2 yr now, January bill was 555.00 dollars. I would think with solar energy and with the amount of sunshine there should be no bill anywhere near 555 bucks. I might as well cut them off.

Vivint Solar response

James, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would like to look into the matter further for you. Please send us an email with your address or service number at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can further assist you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I know a lot of people who want solar on their homes but first thing they'd say is they don't want to tack on $3,000 onto their property taxes. The other companies wanted to put it on our property taxes but Vivint Solar had a different solution to that. We're running our solar with the electric company and it's supposed to balance that with a certain percentage. Vivint Solar has also been really good from the beginning and their people were knowledgeable as far as the installation. The longest and hardest part of the process was getting the city inspectors to react right away. But as soon as that went through, Edison said it was done and they would finally release everything. But it took about 30 days to get us up and running.

It was turned on in July and the first impact of it started in August but my Edison bill was even higher. I have two people in my house and barely anything on but a little TV. I'm still trying to figure out where the homeowner starts getting a break. There is supposed to be some buildup on the grid as the weather gets warmer. But here in Southern California, lately, it's been 85 degrees everyday and the solar is working fine. Plus from monitoring it, I feel that Edison is even using all my solar and I'm just getting trickles of it. Edison takes advantage of it and I'm still getting a $70 bill.

I'm not getting any answer from Edison either, but I could call Vivint and ask anything I want. They answered all my questions right to the detail and if they don’t know, they would tell me to wait and they would get somebody on the phone who knows. I can even call the representative who gave me the first talk about it and he gives me little insights and details. If there's something he can't answer, someone calls me right away too. Vivint seems to be legit as far as them saying how it works, but it doesn’t seem like Edison is cutting any slack. There is some discrepancy in there.

The solar system companies are trying to do right by us but the electric company is still sucking us in. I know that solar will work better for me if I had my own backup battery supplies and I actually would love to pull totally off the grid as far as dealing with electric company but the power backups right now are so expensive. They almost cost more than the solar system. Right now, I'm just trying to see how everything is going to be working out as the weather gets warmer and warmer.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

A friend of ours told us that they have solar energy and it seems to work for them. We wanted to try it too. My husband never trusts anybody, but when Phillip came to our house, we agree with him on Vivint Solar. Our enrollment to the service went well but there was too much paperwork. And I was going to print out the contract because I'd rather have it in my hand instead of using the online method. The process seemed easy and they had nice customer service. They had young people come who were knowledgeable and they knew what they were doing. My husband dealt with them and he liked and gave a good compliment to everybody.

One thing though was they didn't finish the job down there and my wall is still open. A lady called me and I told her that I didn't know anybody that could fix it. Later on, they talked to my husband and they sent us a check. But I haven't had the wall fixed yet as we still have to wait for our neighbor come look at it. Other than that, this is our first month using the service and everything seems to be doing well.

Vivint Solar response

Sivanee, We are pleased to hear about your experience thus far. Thank you for leaving the review.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I bought a new house and I’ve always wanted solar on my house, so I figured it was a good time. We’ve been looking at a bunch of different solar companies and kind of knew the different costs. We called one of our neighbors who sells Vivint and had him come down and give us the spiel. He gave us a good overview of everything and Vivint Solar wasn’t necessarily the cheapest company we’ve looked at but we liked the fact that they’re a larger company and so they’re more likely to be around in 10 years. We decided to go with them.

The enrollment was smooth as butter but it has not been as good with their customer service. It didn’t seem like the people that work at the corporate office doing the customer support knew what was really going on. So, I would call our sales rep, and he would call around, give us a callback, and he knew more about what was going on than the customer service reps did. It felt like they were just giving me the scripted answers and not actually looking anything up. But we had an excellent sales guy. He kept us updated and still checks in on us. Also, it's a rough time a year to turn on solar but I’m pretty satisfied so far. When going solar, make sure you have a good sales guy but talk to all the different companies and get lots of quotes. But from what we found, Vivint long term probably is going to be the best choice because they’re not just a solar company and so they’re going to be there.

Vivint Solar response

We are happy to hear you have had a great experience thus far. Thank you for taking the time to give us a review!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We have Solar with Vivint. Their system didn't report the usage correctly. I scheduled an appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. Nobody showed up. Nobody called. I called to schedule another appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. The technician called up several hours after the scheduled time and said he was running behind and couldn't make it. He said Customer Service would call me back to schedule another time. Nobody called me back. I complained on their Facebook page. They scheduled a tech to come out.

Good thing, the tech came out this time. The problem couldn't be fixed. They scheduled another tech. The problem couldn't be fixed. Then they scheduled another tech. This time, this tech didn't show up, didn't call. I had to call Customer service up to schedule another appointment. They wasted hours of my time trying to be home to get their stupid system resolve. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen. Even Comcast doesn't do this **. Stay away from this company!

Vivint Solar response

Tuan, we are sorry to hear about any frustration that we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can further assist you with any issues.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I recently received a bill from Edison where they gave me an estimated Net Energy Monitoring bill of over $1500. For the year. In other words I will owe Edison about $1500 in July when the Net bill arrives. Now I can change over to pay monthly but that is an extra $75 on top of the $1500. I might add that I usually do not pay $1500 per year for energy before having Vivint place panels on my roof. The panels were supposed to deliver 80% of the total bill, but it looks like they are going to cost me 80% more than if I had done nothing at all. I contacted Vivint and they want me to supply them with copies of my bills for the last year so they can "analyze" where the problem is, but not fix it.

Let the buyer beware of how some companies take advantage of citizens by telling them half truths and out and out lies until it is too late to do anything about it. I am now looking at hours of work and higher expenses that I can ill afford trying to do the right thing. Edison knows all of the tricks to screw people who no longer want to be held capture to the PUC and other public trusts such as the State Lawmakers who are only too happy to steal money any way they can. Stay away from this company and all who are like it as they are only thieves with ink pens instead of guns.

Vivint Solar response

George we are sorry to hear about any frustration that we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can further assist you with any issues.

Vivint Solar Company Information

www.vivintsolar.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use