2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

PROS

• Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers

CONS

• Pricing not available online

Top Vivint Solar Reviews

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what was given. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nice person to deal with that was why I decided to go with him.

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Going solar seems to be something that we should be doing for the nation because of fossil fuels. And the tax credit was a big incentive for us to go ahead and do that to help offset the cost of it. A Vivint Solar salesman came to our door. He was a really nice person and the pricing was better. We had checked with Sunrun and they were really proud of their product. So, we had been thinking about it for a while, and we just felt the Vivint sales rep really presented himself well and we figured we’d go with Vivint. The product and the layout was great. They called us. Somebody hadn’t gotten their final approvals with Xcel. And they installed us really early and that went really well. And then, everything just stalled out. There was a lack of communication between Xcel and Vivint.

Xcel said it was Vivint and Vivint said it was Xcel, that they had a problem uploading a form into the Xcel system that I kept calling on. Vivint people said, “We’re working on it. It’s in.” But it was not. We’ve called Xcel. So, the first line people were very annoying. I needed to talk to someone else because they were just telling me what they thought they knew, but they were not researching it. The second line that we got was really good but I could never get to him. Every time I called in, I got these people that didn’t read the account and the follow-up was really lost in translation.

We were finally installed at the end of September. This whole thing with Xcel and Vivint, and the portal not working, were irritating. Vivint Solar installed it the beginning of September, and then Xcel came out in December and put some meters in. But they never finished up the permission to operate. I kept calling and all of a sudden, Xcel came out again and put in another meter. And we got the permission to operate from Xcel, but it never got to Vivint. Somebody in the back door somewhere had to do something. It was the end of January when we finally were up and running. But we still have an error on our meter that says it’s a four. Supposedly, somebody from Vivint was gonna come out and look at it. And I haven’t heard from anybody again. We were very excited about getting solar and being more green, and Xcel wasn’t really excited about losing another customer that they're not gonna be able to bill $175 a month in the winter.

I seriously think that if something was gonna get screwed up on an account it was gonna be ours. But they've made it right so far. I’m a little frustrated that no one communicated with us on this error that keeps flashing on the production meter. Now, we did have to pay on it for two months without it even generating energy. Supposedly, they were gonna offset that because the deal was once it got set up and was generating power, we were supposed to start paying. But because of the craziness with Xcel, we went into payment before we were generating power. Supposedly, somebody was to go make that payment. So, we decided we’d just go ahead and do it because we didn’t wanna extend it out another two months on the repayment for the loan stuff. But it didn’t feel great.

Some of Vivint's customer service people were really good, kind and tried to figure things out. But others, you'd just hang up and call back. Overall, I’m satisfied with Vivint. If they’ll come out and give me an answer why this error code’s flashing on my meter, I would be much more satisfied. We’ve been in this system for the last two weeks. However, I would like an answer on that. The root cause of the issue was not Vivint from the information I’ve been able to get from Vivint and then the experiences with Xcel. A lot of the problem was Xcel because when the guy from Xcel showed up and ran the doorbell, before my husband and daughter could get to it, the guy went around our back yard. So, our dogs were at the back door, wanting to go out because there was a stranger in the yard and that scared him.

Also, Xcel people were like, “But we don’t send this, we don’t do that.” And Vivint was saying that they have to give it to them. There was a disconnect and I was caught in the middle. Vivint needs to figure out a better working relationship with Xcel and Xcel needs to inform their people. They had a conference call scheduled with Xcel and Xcel never made it. Then, our problem was elevated up to that level. It was two more weeks before they could talk to them about the portal issue. So, that wasn’t Vivint's fault. I was ready to call the state PUC and complain about Xcel. I’ll take a day off from work and I’ll raise hell and get an answer because I am done.

Vivint Solar response

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story and providing us with such great feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve the solar process for our customers. Please send your address to us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can check your account and confirm that a tech will be coming by your home. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The State of Massachusetts gives you a check and Mass Save gives you a check if you go solar. So, it doesn't matter what your tax status is. But the federal government, which gives you the biggest amount of money for going solar, gives you a tax credit and that is naturally only good if you trigger having to pay federal taxes. If you don't have to pay federal taxes because you're retired and you haven't enough things to claim between medical and mortgages, you don't trigger any taxes, so you can't use the credit. So, that's a real bummer and that's one thing I don't like. I would have bought my own panels because then I could've, by now, paid them all off and I'd be getting money from what the panels make.

But as far as Vivint goes, it was a better solution for me to have them put the panels up. And they own them. Now I just have a fixed rate for my power, and when you're retired, it's nice to know that it's pretty much fixed for budget purposes. My bill can go 2.5% percent a year, but they haven't really gone up that much at all. Recently, the state has allowed the solar companies to add more of solar power on the electric. It would go to about 80% to 90% of your total annual usage and they let you use more. So, Vivint came this last June and July, and they put up nine more panels on my house. I had the other ones on the garage, so they had more room to put more panels on the house.

The local part of Vivint was very good and the contractors did very good work. They were prompt as well and came when they said they were gonna come. The quality of the panels is 5-star, too. But I've had a little bit of a problem with their main office out in Utah. When you deal with them out there, you're dealing with people that seem to be Hispanic mostly and some of their accents are very hard to pick up. They talk a little quick as well and when they called, my wife transferred the phone to me. I was able to slow the person down a wee bit and get through the accent. But they were polite and professional.

Still, the Utah Main Office out there is slow and it took a long time for them to get things done. When they needed to add nine more panels on my house, I got that approval back in April of 2019. But the panels didn't go on until about July. It was probably because I had to fix my roof though. I had some shingles that were loose and I had to fix that, so that was not their problem. But then they came right up in July. They put the panels up and they were done. But I never was able to turn these panels on until December because of paperwork.

The paperwork delayed things between the main office of Vivint and whoever they were dealing with, which could be the state, local agencies, or National Grid. But whoever they were dealing with, they were working on a snail's pace and that shouldn't take that long because when I put up my the first panels in 2015, it was much faster. When I met with the guy in July of 2014, they came up and put the panels up in January, and I had the panels turned on in January. But now, it took forever for the paperwork and the things to get them turned on.

My daughter and son ran through the same thing because they all have Vivint. And they said it took six months after the panels were installed to get them turned on so they could use them. When I called and asked Vivint what was going on, I didn't get a return call or an email from them. So, when I didn't get any information back from Vivint in Utah, then I had to blame them because they were not communicating with me to tell me what the delay was for.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Richard. We are glad to hear that you have had a great experience going solar with us. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I was outside one day and a Vivint Solar gentleman was going through the neighborhood. This is the second time they came through. They had come through two years before, did the whole thing, gave me the plans for the house, went through the house and I was all for it. And then, they wanted the plans for the house and I didn’t have them. I had no idea where they were. I couldn’t find them. They said, “Oh, that’s not a problem. We’ll send it through the county for you.” Then all of a sudden, they didn’t wanna pay for the plans for the house. And I just never heard from them again. That really made me mad.

When the salesman came by the second time two years later, I complained all that to him. First, I shooed him away, but the guy was so nice. He worked out and I was at the gym, and we had something in common. I invited him back. We sat down and talked, then I just told him why I shooed him away because I had a bad taste in my mouth from what they did before. They had everything set up, and then they just never contacted me again. They gave me the plans where the panels were gonna be. They gave me the drawings. I was just waiting for the date that they were gonna install everything, and I just never heard from them. They never even came by. And I thought that was very poor. But this time, the salesman came back twice and talked to me. If it weren’t for him, I probably wouldn’t have done it. Because the way he explained everything and broke everything down, that was what really sold me.

Apparently, they had a different management. Back then, they wouldn’t rent the panels. You had to buy them. Now, they let you rent the panels. I’m retired now and my wife is the only one working. If I was still working today, I would’ve probably ended up buying them. But right now, the finances in this household is different ever since I retired. So, there is no way I was putting out that kind of money to buy them. And they do things different now, so that was why I went ahead and did it this time around. They’ve been very nice. The installers were very nice people. They came out and showed me how to turn on the system. If I didn’t know how to turn the system, I’d call them and the gentleman will come out. It has been a pleasant experience. I turned it on some time late October and I only got one bill, so far. My gas and electric bill went from $358 a month down to $158 a month. It has been a pleasant experience all the way around.

Their customer service got a nice app. They showed me to put on my phone and it was cool. You got a read out of what you’re bringing in from the solar panels daily. I only had to call one time, when they kept calling my wife at work. She’s a nurse and she can’t be bothered at work. So, I had to call and say, “You send me all the emails. You call my home when you need something." But they only talk to me when they set all this stuff up. So far, we got that straightened out. Now, I’m authorized if they call to talk.

I was very suspicious with how this was gonna work out, how much savings we were gonna get because you’re not buying the panels. But if anybody has any second thoughts about it, I would go ahead and do it. I can show them proof of my gas and electric bill, how much we’re saving. It’s definitely worth it. This house was built 1975 and I was worried about the extra weight on the roof. It wasn’t built for solar panels to go on there. But the guy had me lift up a solar panel and it was so light. They made me feel good about how light they were when they installed it.

They showed me everything and worked with me. They told me that, “Any time you wanna cancel the installation while we’re doing it, tell me. We’ll stop work right then and there.” They knew I was paranoid about it. But the guys that installed the panels were fantastic. They just walked me through the whole thing, which I thought was very nice on their part, because they were here doing my roof from early in the morning till dark. Other crews came over to help them finish and a guy even asked me, “Is it okay if we put the box here? Is it okay if we put this line here? Do you like the way this looks? We can do it this way if you like it looking better this way. We can run it this way if you like it. We can hide it behind here if you like.” Other people just wanna do it the easiest way. But he cared how it looked, if I was pleased with it. The customer service and the installers were outstanding.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Charles! It sounds like your initial experience with us was a positive experience but you may still have some questions. Feel free to email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with your address and any potential questions or concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: May 25, 2019

My neighbor across the street put solar in his house. Then when we were out in the front yard, I queried him about who he got it from and how much it costed him. He told me about Vivint Solar and that it cost him nothing. I still didn't quite understand how it worked. Then Ryan, a freelancer that represented a couple of different companies, showed up at my door and was selling Vivint Solar. I began talking to him about that and the deal where there would be no out-of-pocket expense appealed to me.

We went through the process. There are certain conditions that a client has to meet and an agreement to sign in order to sign up for the deal. It took at least three months for them to design the system and send somebody to come out and survey it. Then it took two trips for that because the guy had an equipment problem. We finally got around to deal to where I qualified and I was interested. So we signed all the papers and they came out with a crew of three people and installed the system. The permitting process took some time. There was initial permitting through the local power company and then another one from the county billing inspection department. Finally, we got through that. And it has been working for two months now.

There's only two living in my house, the wife and I. And Vivint Solar determined that the 13 panels would produce enough power for the two of us. The solar system doesn't work at night, so we use the local power. Then in the daytime, it produces more power that we use and it goes into a bank and the power company keeps a record of that. Then you build up credit over time, which is used against what you use from them and they balance it out. The first month's bill was great. I owed the power company $6.86 but I owed Vivint Solar $54. It was about $60 in total. On an average, my bill at the time was $93. So that's about $30 a month in reduction on what I was paying for the power. I still have a bill from the local power company, but it's more about records and the amount of power that's being generated and used.

I love Ryan because he is a neighborhood kid. He went to high school here three blocks down the street. One time, he told me that he was gonna come and show me how to hook that system into my computer so I could monitor its performance and activities. But he has never done that. He said he was gonna do it a couple of times, but he never did. Also, my neighbor next door to me is interested and the guy hasn't come back and contacted him. I'm dissatisfied that they haven't gotten back to me. I'm not getting a response to this business of getting in touch with the people that I know that would be interested in this program. There's not enough follow-up.

In addition to not hearing from Ryan, I haven't heard much from Vivint Solar. There are so many agencies involved and that's the reason it takes as long as it takes. So the follow-up with all these activities that have to happen, Vivint Solar doesn't have any control over. They're patient, but the client is not too patient. And I don't understand why it takes so long.

I also would like to see an organized company in uniform or at least in a uniform shirt that says Vivint Solar on it. They came out here and got blue jeans and cowboy boots. Also, the vehicles that they come out in don't have Vivint on the side so that neighbors can see what company it is. Vivint has a product that they should be proud of, and their workers should be proud to work for them. But to date, I'm satisfied with the cost and the payment result with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Johnny, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that Ryan took good care of you. Thanks for going solar with us!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve been researching solar for 20 years and noticing that for small houses often where I live, there’s not a lot of roof area. It’s a little house and solar really didn’t put up enough power. Then more recently, the technology has improved enough that now, it does. I have an associate that I work with, and he bought a house recently in Los Angeles where there’s a bigger house and a lot of sun. The house came with solar as part of a mandated thing that the housing tract had to do. And so, another guy and I were watching his bill being a negative number occasionally or very low, and our bills were higher. So, that kind of got us started again.

So, I did review the research again to see that now, the solar panels are putting up more power. And so, I contacted several different companies, got various stories on incentives and odds and ends and different people that seem pushy, and salesmen who didn’t seem to know what they were talking about. And out of all of those, one of them was Vivint, and they seemed to be much more straightforward and knowledgeable. They also had the best incentive. I was able to get a friend in Phoenix on board, so both of us are supposed to get 500 bucks.

Another big determining factor was the fact that with prior solar things, one has to finance and pay, and they’d tell you, “Oh, It’ll amortized soon. And soon, it will be worth it.” With Vivint, you don’t pay anything. It’s free. They maintain and monitor it. They install it, too. My roof was in good shape so I could just go ahead and do that. I have zero out of pocket expenses to put the thing there. Both the guys at Vivint Solar that I talked to on the phone, sales and coordinator types, and the workers that came out, were all very professional. There wasn’t a lot of BS and they were polite.

PG&E supplies my power in California. When I got my first bill, it was in the middle of the month probably because the new system has started, so the prior month, it was like 200 bucks for PG&E, and then all of a sudden, it was 50 bucks. That sounds great but it was in the middle of the month and it had so many bizarre terms and odds and ends and taxes and adjustments, and this and that, that I really couldn’t say what it’s going to be like. Plus, under the new system, I’m supposed to be paying Vivint a certain amount every month. I’m buying the power from them and then pass the certain amount that they will charge. PG&E will charge the difference. And there are different other factors that one never would have thought of that they got in them like taxation and all kind of stuff that plays into these things that makes it ridiculously complicated.

And then they make reference on the PG&E bill until the end of the year to adjust the profit. Normally, you just pay for power. In this case, you’re putting power back into the grid, so that they’ll profit from that, and then the loss from what you use over and above that. And that’s constantly monitored, adjusted and regulated. So, whether this is worth it and by how much, it’ll probably take a year at least to see how it all plays out.

Out in California, we’ve had a lot of big fires. And everybody is pointing at whoever might have the pocket, whether they have it or not. And it may prove that the biggest advantage of going solar is to escape PG&E’s rate increase after the fires. Overall, everything with Vivint Solar so far has been fine. I wish I could see in the future, a year from now or two, what the real difference is because Vivint is gonna raise their rates a couple of percent every year.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Ron, we are happy to hear that after such extensive research, you choose to go with Vivint Solar. We are excited for you to see the savings. Thank you for leaving us a review! And thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: March 25, 2020

A gentleman came to my doorstep and asking was I interested with Vivint Solar. I had a great interaction with him. The installation went perfectly. The installers didn’t bother me and no one was rude. They did what they had to do. When I had questions, they answered it.

Original review: March 23, 2020

A salesman Vivint stopped by and he was a good one. He sold the product and laid out all the facts to us. He was the one who did the job. They just delayed once, which was with my village, and that held me up for nine months. I was the first one in our village. They didn’t know how to write the permits and what was okay and what wasn’t with their codes. They took it by surprise. It was, “Oh, we don’t know if this is right” so they wrote the code around me and some other people who got theirs in before I got mine done because I was the example. But other than that, I was fine. The workmanship was done real good. I work construction and in equipment so I could see the type of work they did and it was all first-rate. I went online and I saw my February wasn’t much because it was covered in snow all the time, but I saw a difference in the electric bill. Let’s whip this thing out and see what this thing is gonna do. Right now, I’m satisfied.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I’ve always been interested in solar energy. I learned about it in school when I was going for an architectural degree. It was just waiting for the right time. It was just too expensive. Everybody I worked with was very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. That’s why I went with Vivint. We talked to other ones before but they did not seem to understand what the whole principle was. I used to work in the power industry so I’m a little more knowledgeable than your average customer. My gripe was on the installation. One day the techs came and there was four or five inches of snow on the roof. I asked, “Are you sure?” They were up there for a few minutes and they came back down. “No. We’re going back.” “Yeah. It’s probably a good idea.”

Also, I wish there was a better storage solution at this point, but right now, a deal is what we got. But what I would like it for, when there are actual power outages, which usually happens at night and solar is not very good then. But other than that, so far, so good. The system is completely invisible. We didn't even know it was working until I started going online and saw it was generating power. I’m perfectly satisfied. We’ll see how the bills are when it starts coming in.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Justo ** with Vivint Solar in Bakersfield, CA has exceeded our expectations as a Sales Rep. He has taken care of us since the start, and he has made sure that all our questions/concerns are answered and addressed. The quality of service my husband and I continue to receive is a 10 out of 10. The process has been quick, easy, and detailed. We did not experience any issues with the installation process and have had a stress free experience. Definitely recommend Vivint Solars to anyone seeking solar panels.

Original review: March 21, 2020

The application was more of just an application for Vivint to turn on the power, not where they ran a credit check. And then I waited 30 or 60 days for them to do that until I got into the house. And then, everything was turned on. Because I was in a different state buying my home, it was all done through the phone and email, like DocuSign. I was in Maryland and we were buying a house in California so it was definitely a challenge, but they were very good at that.

You learn so much. The great thing is they walked us through and told us many new things that we never would have thought of. They explain the whole leasing process to you. They explain the buying process to you so you can determine which one’s better for you. They let you know that with a lease, they come out and they repair everything because if your solar panels don’t work, they're not able to charge you. So, it’s on them, as long as you're leasing. If you own it and they don't work, you have to pay for somebody to come out and repair it, and then they would still back charge you for that time.

They're very informative and very good at informing me of what’s going on. They were great at their customer service and explanations. That was a huge plus. They told us upfront that it would be about 7 to 10 years before we even notice any true difference or that it has paid for itself. And at that point, I didn’t wanna have to pay for repairs on my own solar so I just leased it. The challenge is selling your house later on. I’ve only had solar for three months and so far, I’m very satisfied.

Vivint Solar Company Information