2. Solar Energy

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

PROS
  • Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers
CONS
  • Pricing not available online

Top Vivint Solar Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what was given. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nice person to deal with that was why I decided to go with him.

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2021

I had my solar panels installed yesterday and the installation team from Bakersfield CA was fast, efficient, knowledgeable, and very professional. They answered any questions I had and explained the system operation to me as well. Our Sales Rep Grant has been amazing as well. He has answered all our questions and everything he has told us about the system and the process has been 100% correct. It is obvious he knows the solar business inside and out as well as things other reps may say that are incorrect or misleading. I have read some of the reviews below and can't believe some people are referring to the same company.

California is screwed up in many ways but when it comes to solar the regulations they place on power companies definitely are there to protect solar consumers and for that I am grateful. I will get my final inspection in 5 days and expect to receive final sign off from our power company within two weeks. At this point I am very very satisfied with the system and this company.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Charles! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Some of our neighbors went with Vivint and they were happy with them. They recommended to the sales guy that we were new in the neighborhood, and they didn’t even want to check with us. When the guy proposed a couple of options, we really liked the option of not having to buy it going in. We’re on a purchase agreement for the power we use, so it gave us some flexibility that we didn’t have to shell out a bunch of money upfront and we could still get the benefits of lowering our bills with solar.

All the stuff, including the permits, got done right away. Vivint Solar was extremely efficient, but the process is a little slow in California. From the beginning until the end, the time we signed the paperwork and put the solar on was five months. We had to wait for PG&E to do their thing as well. However, Vivint didn’t build a big enough system originally. We have two residences on one property and we had to add a second system the next year. Vivint came right back in, did the second system just like the first, added it on and now, it’s up and running. It was the same five months, but it was not their fault. It was California and PG&E.

We still have a PG&E bill, but we only pay about half or less than half of what PG&E charges us per kilowatt. We live in Bakersfield, California, and typically, from May to October, it’s close to 100. Our PG&E bill for the air conditioners were running around 400 and $500 a month and we are now below 300 all the way, sometimes, even around 200. It has been a big difference.

Original review: May 1, 2020

We’re very happy with everything. The whole process of getting our Vivint Solar installed was smooth. The people that worked with us were very informative. They take overpayments. Whoever buys the house is like taking over from LIPA or PSE&G. So there was really no downside. We’re paying into ownership. We didn’t buy it outright because we couldn’t afford to do that. At the time my daughter was going into college. I said, “Right now, we’re paying PSE&G around 200 a month budget. If it all could be done around that, maybe a smidge more, we could do it. If it was gonna be a lot more per month, then come back when she’s out of college kinda thing.”

We had 222.53 a month and then we got our tax break and instead of paying to PSE&G that money went to the paying for the system. And we’ve never had a problem with it. There was like two-month period where I got bills that were more than $12, $13. We pay roughly $13 and change a month. They were like 80 something and 50, but we had had like no sun. I had called to just see if there was a problem with the system, and they said, “No, we just hadn’t had a lot of sunlight.” So, we weren’t producing. But we’re back on track now. My last bill was like 13.21. I’m absolutely very happy with Vivint Solar. We needed a roof, and we thought that was gonna put us over what we could afford. But they had recommended a contractor. The guy came in, gave an estimate and with the roof included they still were able to come in at a number that was comfortable for us.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Diane! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Original review: April 25, 2020

We've always wanted to do something better for the environment, and when Vivint came to us and told us about a special government program where our house would qualify like we wouldn't have to have background checks on credit, we looked into it. Vivint's enrollment process was pretty simple. They came out, checked out the house, and saw that we got plenty of sunlight so it would definitely work out. As far as customer service, everybody was terrific.

The installation was really quick. The guys who did it were here for one day. My daughter at the time was in elementary school, and they were wonderful. All we had to do is tell them, "Listen, I gotta walk her to school," and they were like, "All right." They stopped everything so that we could walk out safely and not worry about anything. They were done before she got home from school. We've had Vivint long enough. Our bill fluctuates because in the summer, we make more energy. So, we pay a little bit more in the summer sometimes, but it's better than it was when it's just with the electric company. All in all, I'm loving the fact that we have Vivint.

Vivint Solar response

Wow, way to go Anna! We're so happy to hear that your clean energy is making a positive impact. Thank you for choosing us as you do your part to protect the planet. Keep up the good energy!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Vivint Solar found me. I happened to be coming home from work one day and they were going door-to-door. I was already looking into going solar because I did so in California. We talked about it and they had a good deal. Compared to other companies, their offers were about the same. However, the customer service experience on most people’s behalf was better than other providers. The whole process took a month or two. In my case, it went pretty smooth. It was well-communicated through the company and the coordinator that was helping my case. When they finally came to do the installation, it took them a day and a half. It was a quick, clean, and well-thought-out installation. Nothing was flapping off the roof.

The only real problem I had with the whole process was, when it was finally okay to turn it on, I didn’t realize that they had put an extra breaker on top of the box in the main breaker that they had installed. When I turned everything on like I did in California, the system wasn’t actually charging. One of their technicians had to come out. He was like, “Yeah, we threw an extra circuit breaker in the main box. It’s redundant, but we do that because it’s a safety thing,” If it was a little bit better step-by-step process on how to turn their stuff on and then sync up everything, it would have gone smoother. But all things considered, it was easy. The system is producing what I expected it to produce. My bills have gone down, too. It’s really all I can ask for.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Steve! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I have contacted Vivint Solar 3 time within the last 45 days trying to get a status or schedule a solar panel removal date. They initially told me that someone will call in 30 days after they were notified. No callback. When I called Customer Service they placed me on a waiting list for my area. Then on my 3rd call told me that they do not have any contractors in my area to remove the solar panels. Customer Service just repeats that the Panel Removal Dept will call me back.

I signed a reroofing job that is now on hold and will possibly have an increase in material price (material cost increase after 45 days). I have written 3 emails and have not received any phone calls or email reply back. I have told a salesperson at Vivint that I was interested in adding a battery backup system when the solar panels are reinstalled after my new roof installation. This has not motivated anyone dedicated to communicating or moving forward with any customer service. Does this Company have any desire to maintain good customer relations after their system is installed? I believe their lack of follow up attention should be a cause of concern for any customers who have a maintenance need from Vivint!!!!

Vivint Solar response

Wow, we understand the frustration, Lawrence. We're so sorry you experienced this. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com and we would be happy to resolve this for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 6, 2021

We have made many attempts over the last month to get in touch with the representative who was assisting us through our solar panel relocation that has been in process since Oct 2020. Our panels were leased through Vivint in 2017. We sold our house in October 2020 and moved into our new house on 10/26/20. Vivint advised that we cannot relocate the panels UNLESS we pay them off in FULL (read your contracts!!). Once we did that (38K later) they advised our new house needed a new roof before they could relocate the panels. So we spent 18K for that and the new roof was completed at the end of Jan 2021. Since then we have been trying to get our panels relocated however have not received a response from our Vivint/Sunrun rep (Jessica **) since 2/25/21. Just so we're clear - here's the breakdown.

Oct 2020 - We had to pay Vivint 38K in order to be able to have the option to relocate our panels. Vivint came the same month and removed the panels from our old house. We had to pay another 18k for a new roof at our new house because Vivint would not install the panels on the existing roof. In all, we’ve paid 56k for this relocation and have been in the new house almost 5 months and still do not have the panels at our new address.

The newest issue we are having is now trying to pay Vivint/Sunrun the $6800 relocation fee (putting our total at nearly 63k for this relocation). We want to pay by credit card as we have no other monetary avenue at this point as we spent 56k already (which was 100% of our proceeds from the sale of our house). Jessica advised that our only payment option was check. We are not able to do that. We are broke after all of this. We just need someone to be able to take our credit card information so we can get our panels installed. This is a company whose entire business model is built on the FUTURE but yet have such archaic payment practices. It's 2021 for God's sake.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for reaching out, Adrian. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have been trying to contact Billing about an amount I was charged to make it possible for some construction to be done on my house. No panels needed to be removed. Customer Service in both the Philippines and Columbia were unable/unwilling to get me in touch with Billing department in US. I was on hold for 35 minutes in one instance. I am currently on hold now approaching 30 minutes. I need to speak to someone in the US about the amount I was charged to remove 6 screws. No panels were removed, no equipment removed, system still up and functioning.

Vivint Solar response

We're so sorry to hear this, Maude. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Original review: March 25, 2021

Started process in Sept 2020. Still not done. Nothing but problems. Still waiting. All I get is empty promises, no communication. Just leave Message. Don't use them. They're are not forth right. Get you to sign and never finish.

Vivint Solar response

Oh no, Bernadine! We are sorry to hear that the preparation process is taking a long time. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so we can look into this. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 22, 2021

I've had very bad cust service. Had panels installed on a my roof that is only 7 yrs old. First rain roof leaked. Never leaked before! Vivint sent someone out and they said it wasn't their fault. Had a roofer come out, they stated that it was whoever installed panels that as they were working on it caused the problems. Vivint said they don't agree so too bad. Will be getting a lawyer.

Vivint Solar response

Oh no, Cindy! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can look into this. Thank you

Vivint Solar Company Information