Call toll free
3.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

1699 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

It was a great experience. The technicians came out to the house early in the morning. Everything was very professional. They complete the job by mid-afternoon and now my panels were installed, I created a new account. I downloaded the smart app for Vivint, I just received an automated call telling me I’m welcome to Vivint. Now we just wait for SDG&E to turn on my power. Looking forward to starting my solar, no more SDG&E!!!

Vivint Solar response

Hi Paul, we're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My experience with Vivint Solar was a real positive one. Josh was our day to day contact and he really made the process quite smooth. He was very attentive, honest, and knowledgeable. We just finished the installation and everything has gone to plan. Def would recommend this company.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Brandon! We’re happy to hear that Josh did a great job and took good care of you. Thank you for doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I had solar panels installed by this company - and within a year and a half they leaked horribly! What this company did was an absolute crime... My roof was 19 years old - and they NEVER should have put up solar panels on a 19-year-old roof... And SECOND - part of my roof is at a very low pitch - and this is where they leaked - not one panel - ALL of the panels!!! The water damage in my house was horrible! Not only did I have to replace the roof - but, all the wood and the installation under it (I have videos of this if anyone wants to see!!). I will give the company this - they stepped up and paid me $5,000... BUT - I ended up replacing my whole roof - for $12,000 - and years earlier too than was necessary!! A roof should last 25 years - not 21. Thats another thing they don't tell you of course - solar panels will reduce the life of your roof too! Absolutely DO NOT GO WITH THEM!!! I have no problem with backing this up too... I have pictures, etc.

Vivint Solar response

Greg, we apologize for the situation you have experienced. We have assigned a specialist to your account who will be reaching out to you to resolve your concerns. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Everybody I know has solar and our power bills are really high. Brent, the Vivint rep who came door-to-door introduced me to Vivint Solar and he did the follow-up on this. I had the Vivint intrusion alarm system installed a few years ago and Brent came at the contract renewal, just checking out, and I was not happy with the comparative cost. So, he lowered it where it was comparable with another solar company that I was looking at, and then I renewed the contract. He came back at the starting point, so I was really satisfied. He has followed through in everything he told me he was gonna do.

What was difficult was knowing or having a close idea of what the difference in power cost would be for me. They could tell me the unit cost, but Edison wouldn’t let me look at my bill and Brent was not here when I called Edison and talked to an agent. We went through this whole process, and I never was able to get a definitive cost. I could get usage on a graph, but then we had to work hard at looking at the tiering. The Edison bill doesn’t tell you about the local cost and it only gives you a very generalized one. Besides that, I was on auto-pay, so I wasn’t able to look at the bill. I actually had to go to my bank to kinda figure it out. My bank, however, when I first called them, said they didn't know what I was talking about. Then when I talked to Edison, they told me I had to talk to my bank because our bill goes to them. So, it was crazy, but I eventually got it straightened out, although I still don’t know the difference in costs.

It was months from when I first spoke with Vivint about the panels up until it was installed and running. But I have no frame of reference to know what’s timely for solar panels because prior to the process, I have to deal with Edison coming out and inspecting. So the time frame was on other factors that may not be in Vivint’s control. Nevertheless, everybody that I dealt with in customer service was absolutely outstanding. The guys that did the installation are outstanding as well. It was really hot when they installed.

Whoever does the turning for customer service and interpersonal action is really doing a phenomenal job. I worked for the county and I did data analysis. Brent went through a lot of work with me because I wanted to see on the usage how that was gonna translate to the 20 cents a unit with solar. I wanted to see how it was gonna save me money, and he spent hours with me looking at and doing the calculations and snapshotting. We went into my Edison account, snapshotting and then going through and translating that. I’m retired, so I’m on a fixed income, and even the patience they showed was remarkable.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Kaye! We’re happy to hear that Brent did a great job and took good care of you. Thank you for doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We met with our salesperson on July 9th. Signed our contract on July 11th. Our system was installed around Sept. 10th. The inspection didn't take place until Nov. 9th. I was told in about 10 days we'd get our meter changed out. Here we are Dec. 10th and nothing. Can't get a straight answer from anyone. The date constantly changes. It will be 10 days, 14 days, 40 days. Oh I'm sorry it could take 90 days or maybe 10 years. Different answer every time you call. Haven't even turned them on and I want them removed. Supervisors return calls days later and then say they are working to resolve it. Inspector told us they fired some people that mishandling paperwork. It doesn't surprise me one bit. And please Vivint, do not respond with, "What's your address so I can help..." I'm over it. I can only imagine what the customer service will be like when the panels are turned on. I'd rather pay more for electric than deal with this company!

Vivint Solar response

Hello Cynthia, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We have assigned a specialist to reach out to you regarding your concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The salesperson who came to my house promised that only a soft credit inquiry will be made. But a hard inquiry was done on my account. They are trying to force you to give your information and sign documents by making false promises. Please do not trust what the salesperson is saying.

Vivint Solar response

We're sorry you feel this way, Manoj. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have had solar for 4 years now. My electric bill's on a budget. Bill have still been over $50/month. I am paying more now than I was before. I contacted Vivint a few months ago and asked for them to add more panels since they told me during the sales pitch that we could do that if we weren't happy with our bill. I was told that they can no longer make changes in Arizona.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Liz, we apologize for the trouble. We want to look into this and do our best to resolve this problem. Please send an email with your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Updated on 12/15/2018: I posted a negative review about Vivint Solar about a week ago. As soon as it was made public, I received phone calls and emails from Vivint apologizing for my bad experience (I guess companies really do read what consumers post on ConsumerAffairs). I spoke with two different Representatives -- one named Gloria Dawn ** and the other named Trenton **. Both agreed that I had been erroneously overcharged and assured me that they would correct the mistake and get back to me on or before Friday. Well, it is now Saturday and as before no one bothered to get back to me...not surprised...well the company can now come collect their solar panels from our city dump where they will be located. Buyer beware. Vivint is the biggest scam out there.

Original review: I was approached by a Vivint salesperson back in the summer who managed to convince my husband and I that going solar would be convenient and cost-effective. This particular individual was very skilled at his job and once we showed a bit of interest, he seized on the opportunity to go the full course and became very persistent. We made an appointment to discuss the solar plan further and he showed up with one of his managers who was equally suave and charming. Essentially we were promised the total package: great service, cheaper energy costs, and no hassles. So, of course, we were quick to sign on the dotted line.

While we were initially going thru the process of applying, the sales team was extremely friendly and would call and check in on us or shoot us a text if they could be of any help. As soon as we committed to a plan, everything came to a screeching halt. For example we were told that the process of obtaining a permit from the municipality will take about a month. After about two months of not hearing from anyone on Vivint end we touched base with one of the representatives and we're told that there was some sort of delay and it was very sorry that they did not let us know. So we went from being updated on every little step that was taking place to being completely in the dark that there was an issue with obtaining necessary permits.

Of course they were profusely apologetic but could not give us a reason why we were not told that the process would be taking longer than expected. When we first signed on we opted for a monthly billing plan where we would be paying about $150 a month year round. The first bill that was received was for about $160. I know it doesn't seem like a big difference but it made me upset to know that we contractually agreed on one price and were in fact being billed another.

I called up the customer service hotline and kept getting the runaround. I kept speaking to different Representatives who agreed with me that I should not have been charged the 160 but couldn't figure out what the issue was. I was told time and again that I receive a call back from a representative within a week or so and never got a single call. This happened on about three separate occasions. I am still in the process of trying to get this resolved but if I could turn back the hands of time I would have never agreed to go solar. At least not with Vivint. This company is run by nothing more than modern-day oil salesmen. I feel like I've been duped and I'm still waiting for resolution. At least with my prior electric company if I had any issue I can speak to someone knowledgeable and get my problem resolved immediately. There were also no surprise bills or added fees out of nowhere. I'm completely disappointed.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Leor, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I like the service with the security and the solar. They installed with no cost to me and the process was fast and pain-free. I was very very Happy with all the work that was done on the house. They even upgraded my electrical panel for me at no cost!

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Reuben! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Met Josh and he was very informative about solar, he answered all my questions. He is polite and friendly and has always been available when I have had additional questions and concerns. I have told others about the solar, and I hope it continues to be a smooth installation.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Lynn! We’re happy to hear that Josh did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Josh ** answered all our questions and he has been available to see that all has gone well. We are pleased. We highly recommend the service. Josh has been very pleasant to work with. And we are excited to get it producing.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Otis! We’re happy to hear that Josh did a great job and took good care of you. Thank you for doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Josh ** has been extremely professional throughout this process. We had a bit of a hiccup regarding the inverter but Josh came out right away and it was taken care of. Installation is almost complete and we're looking forward to this next adventure.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, John! We’re happy to hear that Josh did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We qualified for Vivint Solar and had panels installed today. Workers were on time, efficient and polite. Josh ** the solar rep was very informative and answered all our questions so that we could understand the process. We are still in the process and will update in the future.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Frank. We're glad Josh took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We were sucked in last year by Vivint Solar and their finance partner Mosaic. We were told utility bills would go down, no liens would be placed - exaggerated stories of world class customer service. Solar would add value to your home. Let me tell you first hand experience, if you finance your solar system with Vivint and Mosaic, you will have a lien placed, you will find out this fact only if you try to refinance or sell your home. Vivint will tell you that they did not place a lien on your home, but what they won’t tell you is that Mosaic will. Mosaic will finally own up to the lien, but they will tell you that it is on they system only, underwriter do not care if it is on your system only. A Lien is a Lien. Mosaic will give you the option of filling out a form to temporarily lift the lien, but it will cost you $250.00 to temporary release the hostage hold they have on you.

Vivint claims that the solar panels add value to your home if you purchase. They do not. Appraisers consider the equipment personal property and personal property does not add value to your home. Vivint has a nifty app which shows you how much solar you are producing and boy does it look good, This producing app does no good when you ask your energy company why you are not getting full credit for what Vivint says you are producing. Vivint will give you the runaround when questioned if there is a problem with your production, they will tell you it is your energy companies. Issue for the credit, when you go to your energy company, they will tell you it is a problem with your system reporting as they can not see what you are producing.

My experience with Vivint has been the worst. I can’t tell you what a bad decision it was to become one of their customers. All lies, double talk, no customer service unless emails, phone calls and unanswered texts constitutes their version of customer service. If Vivint comes calling at your door, run, run fast and hide in your darkest closet and wait for them to go away.

Vivint Solar response

Hi J, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address so we can look further into your account?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I bought a solar package earlier, but it doesn’t produce much electricity. So I started looking around, and the Vivint Solar salesman just came to the door at the right time. We had a hell of a time getting the city to sign up on this thing. When I want something done to my electrical box, we had to wait on that. Any time we had to make any changes, you’re not gonna see it for days and days. That caused almost a month’s delay. But then, I got it turned on and it was not Vivint's fault. The Vivint people that come to the house showed up when they were supposed to. I’ve recommended them to neighbors.

I haven’t had the system on a full month since PG&E said okay. But from the numbers that Vivint gave me for November, their system produced more electricity than PG&E charged me for. Even though I’m not using it very much, they’re still adding $105 a month charges to my true-up fee, and I don’t understand why. I know other people who’ve gotten the system, but they’re not getting that.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Thomas! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Josh ** is an excellent sales representative for Vivint Solar. He answered all of my questions and has followed up with me on every step of the installation process. We’re very satisfied with our choices and the service we have received.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Steve! We’re happy to hear that Josh did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Initial contact was excellent, the sales consultant was very quick to reply and answer questions that I had. After the installation and we were given a go ahead to turn the system on was when things service stopped being excellent. They sent instructions to turn the system on that wasn't for the unit that was installed at my site, even though originally they told me they would just turn the system on remotely. Then when I asked for access to the SolarEdge, the inverter brand, monitoring portal they told me that wasn't possible.

After talking to SolarEdge support they told me that the installer had to create a user account for my site so that I could log in and look at the statistics of my production. After providing all the instructions and details that were shared to me from SolarEdge, Vivint still insisted this was not possible and continues to refuse to allow my access to a system that I own and they have been paid in full for. Was this is causing is the feeling that Vivint has something to hide in the true stats of my system. This is not encouraging from a customer point of view and based on this I would not recommend anyone that likes seeing how your system is performing to go with Vivint as their solar provider whether leasing or purchase a solar system.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Les, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address so we can look further into your account?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Vivint Solar had cheaper rate and they were the only one who would install everything for free. All I have to do is the monthly payment for what it will produce. The Vivint agent came to my house a couple of times and then they sent three people to do the installation. They knew what they were doing, taking care of how they would go up my roof. After the installation, they painted all those conduits so that it would match the house. So far, it’s okay. Their installation was simple and it didn't have too many hassles. But when they installed the panel, there was a gap between the roof and the panel, so birds were going there. I already alerted them to put that animal protective screen. But they haven’t communicated with me when they are going to do that.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Jaime, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I've been paying attention to what's going on with PG&E. They keep starting fires and they keep getting sued left and right. I feel that we, the consumers, ended up paying for those lawsuits. Vivint Solar came to my door. I already have the Vivint security system and just add the solar to it. The installers were really fast. They told me that it was gonna take at least two hours for them to put the system in. They came in and knocked that thing out. In under two hours, it was all hooked up and ready to go. I was blown away. Also, they had removed tiles from our roof and stacked it nice and neat in the back, next to my storage set. They did an awesome job. I also like their customer service, which is great. I'd tell friends to go for Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Kemper, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have had Vivint for well over 9 years. I pay every month never late. I have upgraded to all kinds of Thor stuff. I used to love this company until we had to move out of state and needed to cancel my contract. I was told I can not cancel my contract and no way around it, ok. I had to pull off the panel and all the sensors and fix all the holds in my walls before I moved. I had well over 20 sensors. In our rental we had Vivint come and put it all up. I gave the guy the panel and over 20 sensors to put up. He did his job all went well. One year later we bought a house and had to move again. I had Vivint come out and pull out all the equipment again.

Well apparently the rental house had a system in it and was already hard wired so the technician had taken all my sensors. The guy came to my new house with 2 sensors and a panel. I asked him where are all my sensors. He said there are none. It was all hard wired. I was on the phone with a manager for over one hour even the technician was getting mad at Vivint for not wanting to give me my equipment back. They wanted me to pay $20 a sensor again I would have needed 20 sensors. This company is a fraud. We need to get together and sue them for the misleading information they give us, the extra charges they charge us without our knowledge. Worst company I have ever had.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Florentina, We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I’ve always been interested in getting solar energy services as I am hoping to lower my electric bill. I liked Vivint Solar's PPA program, so I enrolled with them and it was effortless. So far, I've been very satisfied with my decision to go solar. Vivint Solar is a great company.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Mike. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for going solar with us.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I met with the solar rep around October of 2017, they did not install my panels until March of 2018, it is now December 5th 2018 and my panels are still not turned on!! Not only are they not turned on but they are charging me for the loan now and I'm fighting with them trying to get a refund for the months they are charging me without service. I have never seen such an unprofessional company in my life! The Customer service reps are useless and just tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off the phone. I am looking into a lawsuit against Vvint and I'm also contacting Channel 12 Eyewitness News about this scam company.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Kurt. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have assigned a specialist to reach out to you regarding your concerns. Thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had my Vivint Solar system installed around January of 2016. I have had some good experiences with the install and how the system works. I am dissatisfied with lies I was told, management not returning or addressing my concerns and the overall savings. The last person I spoke to, from Customer Service Management, was a Mariah. Said she would call me back and nothing in three months. Very unhappy and will not recommend Vivint to anyone unless this is made right.

Vivint Solar response

We're sorry you feel this way, Michael. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was planning to get an alarm in my home through Vivint and then, I also checked Vivint Solar online. I wanted to lower my electric bill because at Edison, the electricity is just too much. I enrolled with Vivint Solar and it was easy. Their sales guy did a good job and I like that. He was always there to answer any question and he responded fast. I got the system installed last month and so far, it's been a great experience.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Rogelio, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales team did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

One of the salesperson came to my house and introduced Vivint to me. Having solar power might be a useful and cheaper way to get my electrical supply, so I signed up with them. Enrolling with Vivint was pretty easy. Landon, the sales manager, guided me all the way to get my sign on. He showed me the way, so it was pretty good. They got the system installed, and also got us the parts. It helped that Landon was there all the time. So far Vivint has been pretty good. I'm happy with the service and with Landon.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Joseph, we're glad Landon took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My name is Nicole **, my Transaction Coordinator is Cindy **, and we have a home in escrow that was suppose to close 11/27 and it is being held up due to the solar lease with Vivint. This home is set to be foreclosed upon and the lack of diligence from your customer service department may cause our client to lose thousands of dollars.

Call me for the address and client's name. I have sent this information to the corporate officers via InMail on LinkedIn. Can you please help me with expediting this? Every time we ask for help and to speak with a supervisor we are told they are in Meetings. My direct cell phone number is **. There are 2 solar leases on this home. The other with Sun Run and we had no problem with that transfer. Vivint is really hurting our closing. Thank you in advance for your quick response to this matter.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Cindy, we apologize for the trouble. Our Transfers Department is currently working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had looked into getting solar energy services a couple of years ago with a different company since I wanted to save on my electric bill. However, I didn't like the idea and what they were offering. Then when an installer from Vivint Solar approached me and explained everything, I was sold. The gentleman was very friendly, professional and informative. Everything he said was true and he didn’t give me a line of crap at all.

Vivint Solar's customer service is sometimes pretty good. Sometimes, though, their reps are uninformed. When I went to turn my system on, one of them gave me the wrong directions, so my system did not produce electricity for three or four weeks. I was wondering why until finally I called them back and they had me check it. They said what I did was wrong and I told them that their person told me to do that. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with Vivint Solar. As a matter of fact, I've recommended them to several people. I've given people a salesman spiel that the salesman gave to me in which you pretty much save 40% over what your electricity provider charges you per kilowatt hour along with you’re not burning fossil fuels.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Daniel. We are happy to hear that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I noticed that some of our neighbors had Vivint Solar. Then their sales representatives came to the door and they were very friendly. They explained the whole process very well and they did some analysis on how many panels might be needed on my house so that during the summertime when my bills are very high because I have refrigerated air, having solar would lower my bills substantially. After they did the analysis, they came back and showed me how many panels I needed. It was a very enjoyable process and I have really enjoyed my interactions with Vivint Solar.

Their sales representatives also helped me through all of the steps of getting my account set up and it was very easy. At this point, I am very pleased and very satisfied. My panels have been active for a little over a month now and I’ve already produced almost a 1,000 kilowatt hours. At one point, their website wasn’t working when I was trying to first pay my bill but they explained the process to get around the bug that they had, which was very easy to do, and someone was on the phone with me. Other than that, everyone that I’ve dealt with at Vivint Solar has been very nice. They always try and explain everything that they're doing, and they make sure that you're satisfied and that everything works the way it should.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Robert, we're glad to hear that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I really like everybody at Vivint Solar. I like their approach. The people from the other companies came on really aggressive, and sometimes even mean. But everybody that I came across at Vivint was really great. They were wonderful people. They were down to earth, and real people. They were intelligent, upbeat, and I didn't feel like they were trying to talk me into anything or try to manipulate me in any way. They gave me a feeling that I could trust them. I was very happy with the sales staff and I was pretty impressed with the tech people as well.

Knowing other people who have gone with other solar companies, Vivint's execution of the installation was seamless and without any problems. So many people that I talked to who dealt with other various companies had issues, like they were told one thing but the company didn't deliver. But with Vivint, they did what they said they were gonna do exactly, and in the time that they said they would do it. So their level of competency is excellent. They're the best company that I came across.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Susan! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Vivint Solar was doing some marketing in our neighborhood and the gentleman that came by our home explained the program. He was very friendly and he answered all our questions. He gave us some really interesting information then he explained what the savings would be and how much it would end up costing us. At the time, we weren’t in the market for solar energy services but we were kind of intrigued by how the whole thing worked and we ended up enrolling with them. It was easy but the process was really long. In the beginning, we did the paperwork. Then once all of that was complete, Vivint Solar did the rest. When the panels were up, they kept us informed every step of the way. They told us everything that they were gonna do and if somebody was gonna be there the next day. They would send us an email as well.

But once they did their part, they said that the next step was for Nevada Power to come and inspect the panels then put their meter in. We had to wait for Nevada Power to do that and that took a long time. After that, Vivint Solar sent us instructions on how to start the whole thing and how to turn the system on. But we thought we were gonna be up and running within a month after everything was in place. Instead, it took at least four months. Other than that, we’ve only gotten one bill from Vivint so far and it was for $4. It only covered the time that they turned the system on until the end of the period which consist of only a few days. Then when I got my Nevada Power bill, I had a $2 credit. All in all, Vivint Solar was very nice and very good. I’ve recommended them to some of my friends, too.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you, Maria! We’re so glad that you are pleased with your decision and would recommend us to your family and friends. We appreciate the review and thank you for going solar with us!

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

The #2 residential solar installer in the United States, Vivint Solar is a public solar company that launched in 2011.

• Combined services: Vivint offers various home services such as security and automation systems, so you can bundle solar with these products through Vivint at the same time.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Solar panel flexibility: Vivint Solar isn’t tied to any particular solar panel provider, so it’s able to adapt to changes in the market and provide customers with a wide variety of options.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing or PPA customers and solar beginners.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information