Call toll free
3.85/5
Based on 522 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1448 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The rep I dealt with was excellent and the enrollment process with Vivint Solar was very easy. They did all the work and all the permits. I just had to sign at the dotted line. It was very simple and they met every deadline. They were great. They did the installation in one day and they showed me everything. Everything was outdoors also so they didn't have to come indoors. It was a great experience and I would recommend them. It's only been a month that it's active and so far, I've been very satisfied with my decision to go solar. My first bill came and it was summertime so it looks like the bill was cheaper. They told me there would a 30% savings and it looks like there is.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Had solar panels installed at our house in fall of 2016 with promise of service by January of 2017. Due to sheer incompetence and lack of interest by company employees, there was no urgency to get PECO (our energy provider) to visit our home to finalize the programming. We spent 2 winters with monthly bills in the $1000/month range from PECO. We did not get solar service at our house until July of 2018 and only after a complaint we filed with BBB. Tellingly we had a PECO agent at our house within 48 hours of our accepted complaint to the BBB. We felt we were hostages to their ineptitude since we had allowed the panels to be installed. My wife and I are longtime residents and family practice physicians in our community with an extremely busy practice. We would never refer ANYONE to Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi John, We're sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account. Thank you for the review.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

When the salesperson came to my house he told me and my wife that the panels will generate enough energy that my electric bill will cost me less than $5 and if I was not happy with those panels they would come to my house and take them down. Guess what, my bill is higher than before so I want them out of my roof. When I call Vivint they said I’m locked in for 20 years. What kind of a joke is this? Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Vivint Solar response

Jorge, we're sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account. Thank you for the review.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

To be fair, my electric bill was greatly reduced. I loved being Solar. However, I told salesperson I was moving next year when I was considering signing up and he told me it was 495 dollars to move the equipment... "Don't worry". I should have read the 27 page document. Now I am trying to move and I have an option of 32,000 to buy out contract or thousands to move equipment. And there is a Lien on my house. They call it a UCC but it IS a lien. I have tried to get arbitration as they require in contract and they don't call back. I speak to nice people who give me numbers and tell me to call and... No reply. I've left numerous messages for Legal... No reply. I emailed... No reply. I've spent hours on hold attempting to resolve without a lawyer. I'm now out of options, can't sell my house, can't move until resolved.

Vivint Solar response

Jason, we're sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account. Thank you for the review.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I save money over here in Tampa, FL. I figure I would share my experience! End of the day Solar is amazing in Florida and so is Vivint Solar. Their business model is above and beyond in making customers happy. If you live up north I can understand but Florida is hands down amazing for this company.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for the review, Mark! We appreciate you as our customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Our experience with Vivint has always been positive. From the first time they came to our home, everything was explained. Professional system installers, to having great electrical cost savings, especially in the summer months. Our customer service interactions have also been excellent. I highly recommend Vivint Solar to all those who want electrical cost savings.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy you shared your experience, Ada! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This is the worst mistake I make. This Company promise one thing and deliver same thing different. Now I have to payment the loan and the City of Riverside. The unit is not working properly. I call them almost every day but they don't resolve the problem. They say they call me back but they don't and when I call they say the unit is working properly but it should be in the 950mm and I getting 800 so now they say that's what the unit is supposed to be doing now. I'm afraid to turn the light on because I don't want to be making 2 payments the loan and city for electricity.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Magaly, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com, so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

So far, my decision to go solar has been good. I went with Vivint because they were cheap and I've noticed a difference in cost. During the enrollment, Vivint was really thorough and they did a good job. It was a good experience. The guy who set me up still drops by once in a while to check to make sure everything's doing good. I've referred three people to Vivint, and they're in process right now.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We've had Vivint Solar for quite some time now and it's been going great. Things worked out straightforwardly the way that it was supposed to. Everybody has been great and interactions with their reps have been top drawer so far. They’ve been very responsive. Anytime we've had questions, we just called them up and they responded very well. We're retired citizens, but it worked out. The bill is definitely lower than what it would be. We're in a very high heat period right now in triple digits and the bill is significantly lower than what we had before. A number of our friends have their own systems, but not everyone is the same. The system is a special need kind of thing. It has served some people well and other people not so well. I'd tell others to definitely consider Vivint Solar depending on their situation.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, David! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Collin came to talk to us and see the neighborhood. We liked the fact that we did not have to lay out any initial cash and that we did not have to do any maintenance. The enrollment was easy, and Collin took care of everything. He was terrific and had really great people skills. He explained everything really well, and he followed through. When we had any questions, we would call him and he would be there. We're very satisfied, especially when we got our first bill. Also, we saved at least $100 this month. That was great for us.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Ellen, we're very happy to see your great review! It sounds like Collin took good care of you and you are seeing the benefits of solar.

Original review: July 28, 2018

The salesman of Vivint Solar came and talked to us and explained everything very carefully. His name was Asa and he was very pleasant to deal with. During the installation process, the interaction between the inspectors and the Vivint reps was rather an interesting thing to watch. They were back and forth as it seemed some rules had changed and the inspectors had to come out again. One was a piece of something that was hanging and the inspectors didn’t want it to hang. And it was just one little thing after another, with different inspectors coming and they had different ideas. They eventually came to an agreement that it was ready to go and turned it on. The whole process took seven months. So far, we're pleased that we’ve been getting sufficient cooling in our super hot days here in Las Vegas. We recommend Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

We love to hear about our happy customers, Dolores! Thank you for the positive review and we appreciate your business.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was granted a loan through the Hero program in June 2017 for a substantial amount to cover the cost of solar plus a back up battery. Everything went smooth and by August 2017 everything was just about in place. So In September 2017 Hero paid Vivint Solar in full for the work. I was told that I would be operational anywhere from 4 to 17 weeks after install. So I waited, and I waited, and I'm still waiting as of July 27, 2018. I have reached out to so many people including CEO David Bywater. But mostly with the advocate team, which is a dead giveaway that this company has problems.

My first annual payment is due Nov. 1, which is 15 months after install. And since the Hero program is tied to my escrow, I have no choice but to make this payment or risk losing my home. I think Vivint Solar takes advantage of that fact and doesn't want to offer me any kind of help towards my bill. Had my solar been running since January 2018 like I was told this would be a non issue, but I feel like Vivint Solar is taking advantage of the situation. In my opinion Vivint Solar is committing fraud by selling me a product that a year later is not even working! So I urge anybody thinking about Solar to find another company, any company, please. This whole experience has turned Into a nightmare.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Brian, we're sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience. Your Case Manager will continue to work to get these issues resolved for you.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Vivint’s sales agents are great. They have an amazing customer service. They really show you they care about helping you save money by going solar. But it only lasts until you sign the contract, when you have issues all they do is transfer you from department to department and all the agents have something different to tell you. It's like if the agents were making the rules and policies as they please. Now the secure system is always crashing and all they offer is troubleshoot and reboot the devices and everything stays the same. Honestly I don’t recommend Vivint at all. I can show pictures of my utility bills and my Vivint bills if anyone thinks I’m lying.

Updated on 07/31/2018: So as I was saying before this agents just be telling you a bunch of lies just to get you out of their way. Been trying to fix some bill problems that I have since I’ve been paying way more than before I went solar, I still be getting crazy bills from the utility company and the funny part is that Vivint agents say that’s between me and them.

I called utility company and I was explain how my panels were not producing enough energy for the house, so I decided to call Vivint and have them resolve this and I’m still waiting. Riley the resolutions lead “was helping me out" but the phone call crashed. Haven’t heard from them ever since. Called back and tried to reach out to her and too busy. They say they will call back. Nothing has happen yet. SO LOOK PEOPLE. DON'T GO SOLAR WITH VIVINT. If you come across any issues they won't care about solving it even though they say they do. I'm going through that right now. Believe me when I tell you.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Kike, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We're sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience.

Original review: July 26, 2018

One of Vivint Solar's sales reps, Shawn, came to our house and he was awesome. Though we were already thinking about going solar for a while, when Shawn talked to us, we decided to do it. Since getting their panels, our payments have been lower but the power has been the same. One time, we were gonna call because we have pigeons up on our roof and we’re hoping they don’t nest underneath the panels. We were wondering if there was anything they could do to put a screen or if I would have to be the one to do that. Still, our experience with the company has been great thus far.

Vivint Solar response

Hi John, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! We have Animal Guards available for purchase if you are interested. Please call us at 877-404-4129, Option #3. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have had the panels on my roof for 5 years now. The first two years were okay. In spring of year 3, I noticed that my gutters were pulled off of the house a bit. So I climbed the latter and tacked them back up. On year 4 same thing happened, so this time I paid to have them professionally fixed. I kept an eye out over the winter and noticed that when the snow melts on my roof it slides off the panels rather quickly and damages the gutters. I called Vivint Solar to let them know of the problem. On that call I was advised that the snow guard can fix this problem but it will be an additional charge. At that point I made an argument that this should have been brought to my attention at the time of install. The damage that was done to my home was the fault of Vivint. The manager then told me that snow damage will not be covered by them.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Alex, your Case Manager is currently working on this for you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2018

If not for the free installation, I wouldn't have done Vivint Solar. Enrolling with them was a lengthy process, but that was because the city inspector and PG&E inspector had to come by at some point and double check everything. So all in all, it was still workable. However I found it very difficult to maneuver their website. For first time users, it’s very complicated. I’ve had trouble logging in a couple of times and it's been difficult to find out how much I owe from month to month. But I guess the more I've dealt with it, it has become simpler. Also, I've already gotten two bills since I've been with the company and the savings has been minimal. That would be a negative thing if you had to pay for the installation. I would recommend that people talk to a Vivint Solar salesperson and get all of the information.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention, Dean.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2018

I was totally against solar and had no intentions of ever having it until a Vivint Solar representative gave me a different understanding of it. He also offered to me something that I could not have afforded had the plan been the norm where you have to buy and care for the panels or lease them. Then during the enrollment, I never thought that I was going through any formal situation. I didn’t feel like I was signing my life away or getting into something that was that I would later regret. Instead, it was like a conversation on how it would go.

So far, I'm very pleased. I even have four friends who got the service because of my feelings about it. But the biggest flaw in the system is that every installer tells the customer something different and it had been very confusing. In some cases, it even caused me anguish. When my installer installed the system, he told me that he had turned it on and that I should leave it on until all the paperwork was done. On the other hand, the installers expressed to my friends that, absolutely without exception, were they to turn the system on until every i was dotted and every t was crossed. I felt like I didn’t do anything wrong ‘cause I followed what my installer said. But my friends were frustrated that they couldn’t turn theirs on. It created some friction between my friends and I have been real unhappy about that.

Also, when the first two of my friends had all passed and were done with the formalities of filing, I called Vivint Solar's line and it said right on there that if you recommend anyone and they do get the system, you're due a bonus. I called about it and Vivint Solar confirmed that they had that system in place and said that I would be refunded. But the young man, whom my original contract was with, said that it would come out of his commission. So I had to call Vivint back and they said no. There is a policy in place for the bonuses to come from the company.

With the first two people that I recommended, it took six months from the time that they started the process before I got the bonus. There were so many places where Vivint Solar dropped the ball. I had to call and ask about the bonuses or I would have never gotten them. And it’ll probably be 2019 before I get paid for the two newest ones. That has to be really looked at. If they're offering this kind of an incentive but you have to wait six months for the incentive, that is not acceptable. That is my frustration.

Vivint Solar response

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced, Marcia. Please send an email with your address to onlinereviews@vivintsolar.com for further assistance.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Doing solar benefits the environment, so I started researching about it and I kept thinking that I'd do it if I was gonna stay in the house. Vivint came around the neighborhood several years ago and we were thinking about selling our house. Felix was going up and down the street talking to people about solar and I said to him that I was interested in it, but I was getting ready to sell my house. He said to give them a call if I reconsider about selling my house.

So, I watched some of my neighbors had it done. I asked my neighbor across the street how doing solar helped him compared to electricity and he said he is only paying 12 cents for his kilowatt, whereas before, he was paying 19 which is a big difference. Also, their electric company sends them bills that says they're storing $80 worth of electricity for them since they have bad winters, so the electric company will have to start putting electricity back where the solar can’t. Then, I couldn’t find another house that I like, so I decided not to sell. I went across the street, got the phone number and I called the person. I said I was interested in having solar put on my house and he said they would send somebody over to talk to me.

John came and he explained everything to us. He said they'd do a satellite image of my roof and he'd come back with whatever the engineer’s design for my roof. He came back and showed us the design for the front of the house. I said that my house gets full sun all around and he said he would take it back to them and see what else they could do. Thereafter, he came back and he showed me the design again. He said I'd have panels on the front and on the back, and people would be coming around and check if the attic could sustain the weight of the panels. They'd go to the city and get all the permits that they need. Then, they would notify my electric company, and they would have to come and change my meter. He said they would take care of all that and the electric company would call me and tell me that they would be coming or send me an email saying I'm all set.

I had gone to these home shows and I had talked to people about solar, and I had asked them how it works. One guy said they'll come in, assess my house and they'll tell me what is best for me. I asked him what if I decide to sell my house and he said it would not work since their contract is with me, but they could put the panels to the new house. However, he's not giving me the answers that I want and he doesn’t seem that interested, so I’m moving down. On the other hand, John was able to answer all the questions I asked. I asked him what if I decide to sell my house after I’ve decided not to sell it, and he said that the service is transferable.

Vivint Solar response

We're glad John took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Hi there. I'm writing this to let everyone who is reading reviews about Vivint Solar to stay away. We had them install the panels in July of 2014. We ended up with an issue with mold due to poor installation. My attic is infested with black mold and my a.c handler as well to the point where it was condemned to use. We discovered this issue in December of 2017 and we were in contact with Vivint immediately to have them fix the issue and they kept on giving us a runaround for 3 months costing us 4,000.00 to try stopping the mold from coming through our bedrooms and bathrooms.

We been having really bad allergies, respiratory issues for quite some time not knowing what was the cause of these issues, now it's all starting to make sense to why we are all have these medical issues - it's due to the infestation of the mold. We have sent them letters from our physicians explaining the severity of the medical issues and they still haven't reached out to us to try to help us. We are in July and still no contact from them so we hired an attorney to help us resolve these issues. Mind you, we tried doing this directly through Vivint without seeking counsel and they just kept stringing us along. Have tons of pics that I wish I could share on here.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, Peter.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I've seen solar energy services around, but there were different rumors about it. I have one of my colleagues went on to sell the stuff and she wasn’t too happy. At that time, everybody was buying it, so I didn’t pay much attention to it until a salesman from Vivint Solar came to my door. He could’ve been a car salesman as he was a little pushy. I’m a dealer too, so I know how to push back. But otherwise, I understood where he was going, and they had to retrain everybody about solar. I was glad that we got along finally, and everything was fine.

On our first month, we’ve already saved $100, so that’s a big plus. Also, it turned out all right for us. My only concern is--since Vivint is primarily a security company, I hope they hang around. I’m a security manager for over 30 years and I know about security companies where they come and go. And I’m very happy with Vivint. In fact, everybody around me who saw me put the system up, they’re putting up theirs as well.

Vivint Solar response

Vincenzo, thank you for letting us know about your great experience in going solar! We're happy to have you as a customer.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We were spending for PG&E $675 a month during summer time. I told my wife that if we saved $100 a month going solar, it would be worth it. So we went ahead and had it put on and it saved us a lot of money. I didn't like the door-to-door salesman from Vivint Solar, but he made a point of not lying to us. Whatever he said, he did, and they’ve been great ever since. When we had a building put in and we needed solar hooked up to that, Vivint came in and they did it. So, it cost more to power the other building. But all in all, I recommend them.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for the review, James! We appreciate you as our customer.

Original review: July 22, 2018

We had a Vivint Solar salesman come to the door one day and I gave him the brush off but he was pleasantly persistent. He didn't pressure me but when he started giving me the details on going solar, it seemed like a good deal. The salesman, Richard, tried to tip the account up in November. And in January, they came out and did installation towards the end of January. By April, the city came out with their inspection and they passed it. Then further along the end of April or May, the electric company, PNM, came out and they failed it twice for some dumb reasons because the meter was too high. And when they came out one time, it wasn't turned on and Vivint won't turn it on which was stupid. They turned it on last June ninth and they put the meter in less than five months.

They installed it and they were up almost all day and it was good quality work that they did. I contacted Vivint about the receipt. It's a flat roof that they put them on and the panels are like a regular kind of roof so, there is a little spot that they get under there. Vivint said that if I see a problem, they gave me a quote like pigeons proofing around the panels, they will keep an eye on it.

Vivint’s customer service was more than helpful but they could be clearer that I would pay the amount of power that it generates. It could have been explained a little better. I don't have a $30,000 to loan out on solar panels. So far, I got my first PNM bill with the solar subtracted and it was like $89, which at this time of year I'd pay PNM about $350 with subtracted money. They haven't taken it out of my account yet but I saw the Vivint bill was gonna be like $96. So, for $180 compared to $350, I think I made a wise decision. Also, this time of the year, we’re using so much for air in a 100-degree weather and I could overdraft it but Vivint could save me 50%. All in all, I would recommend Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Daniel! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We have had our solar panels for about 3-5 years. When signing up with Chris who came to my house, he advised that they will upgrade our electric panel (which they did not) and since our roof would need to replaced in the near future and now when I need to have a new roof and now they want me to pay to remove Vivint equipment from the roof so I can have a new roof put on. I was on the phone on 07/20/18 for over an hour to have a supervisor or manager waive the fee for removal of Vivint equipment from my roof. Again today 07/21/18 I am on the phone again for over an hour to make sure they are coming on Monday to remove the panels AT NO CHARGE because the new roof is being installed on Tuesday. I have never experienced such poor customer service ever and extremely disappointed with Vivint. I am so sorry that I recommended 4 neighbors to install Vivint and never received the $1000.00 either.

Vivint Solar response

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Robin. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com, so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We’ve been looking at solar energy services for a long time now. Vivint Solar then offered a good program, and we were in. We've been with them for two months now and they've been delivering electricity. It's been a good experience so far.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Richard! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: July 20, 2018

The recent experiences with Vivint Solar have shown me how inept and incapable this company is at providing basic customer service needs. They are not only scamming people, but deceiving people into signing 20 year contracts. In May 2018 we needed to have our roof repaired. Vivint Solar charged $500 dollars to have the solar panels removed and stored. We were unaware we would be charged this amount. The original sales representative that came to our house, Adam ** (who currently does not work with the company), assured us that if we needed the panels removed Vivint would do it free of charge. Vivint Solar denied this claim and so we were stuck with the $500 bill. It's whatever because we needed to have the panels removed for our roof to be fixed.

Getting a team of installers to visit the house to remove and re-install the panels has been mind-numbing insanity. Their schedule windows are never in a few days or week. Rather 3-4 weeks or sometimes months even if there ever is an emergency with the panels or your ceiling starts. At this time I was scheduled to have the panels put back on July 18th 2018. It is now July 20th and after countless calls we still DO NOT have our panels on our roof.

For the past two months I haven't been getting any solar energy and I'm stuck with a bill from both the electric company and from Vivint. I am losing money for every day the panels aren't up. We are unable to do anything because we are tied into the 20 year contract and to remove the panels completely requires us to buy the panels from Vivint outright. Working with Vivint makes me not want to deal with another solar panel company. I like to think that not all companies act like Vivint Solar and treat their customers with respect.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Ken, We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience. Please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I’ve been bombarded with lots of solar offers and over time, talking with friends who decided to get solar, I decided I would look into it closer. Then Steven, a Vivint Solar representative, happened to come along at an opportune time. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was straightforward and didn’t require a lot of effort. And Steven was very good at keeping me informed and he would come out to the house if he needed me to sign something or email it to me.

Vivint Solar couldn’t control the entire timeline, but they gave me a thoroughly realistic idea of how long it would take and they also told me where the delays would come. The entire process took a little over two months, though it happened within the time frame that they indicated. They managed expectations well. And now, we’ve just finished the first billing cycle and I’m very pleased. It was a smooth and trouble-free experience.

Vivint Solar response

We're glad Steven took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My wife had a strange encounter with door to door salesman from this company. He said he wanted to give her info for the program and she agreed -- so he said he needed to come inside the house. She refused of course, and told him, "Just show me your info or give me a brochure but you certainly are NOT coming IN." He said "I understand because you don't know me." And then still attempted to come in. She again told him he could share info with her but not enter. He insisted he needed to be invited in to "sit down with her at a table" - she told him that was ridiculous. He could show her from the tablet in his hand. He kept saying he just wanted to sit at a table so she told him she was no longer interested.

He got mad and walked away saying "well we don't need people to be interested." What kind of sales rep demands entry after he just showed up on the doorstep? (It's certainly not the same as when a homeowner contacts a business first and ASKS for a rep to come out.) There is absolutely no reason that he should try to insist on gaining entry. If your people can't carry a clipboard or just leave info because you "don't need people to be interested" then stop knocking on doors.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, Vernon. This is not the standard we expect from our Sales Representatives and we apologize that you had this uncomfortable experience.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I believe this company is a scam. I recommend you do not use Vivint Solar. We recently purchased a house with Vivint Solar already in place. We were under the impression we would be saving money with the solar system... That was our 1st mistake. The contract is so long and who can ever understand all of the terms in the contract... Not me!! Well apparently you pay for the power you produce... Shouldn’t you BE paid for the power you produce?? We received a $300 solar bill... for 1 month!!! I have NEVER paid a $300 electric bill. It is just my husband and I that live in the house. We work all day and go to bed early. We are very conservative of all utilities!!! This company is a scam and I recommend you RUN AWAY!!! If you don’t want to fall victim to this scam DO NOT USE VIVINT SOLAR!!!

Vivint Solar response

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, April. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com, so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: July 19, 2018

We moved over here and it was much hotter than where we moved from. And we didn’t wanna have over $200 electric bills so we started looking into solar. We saw Vivint Solar at a home and garden show and we enrolled with them. We met with Eric, who was wonderful. He got us to do some paperwork and took care of it from there. He was very knowledgeable and the other person I talked to was as well so, there was no confusion. We knew what we were getting into. I had an excellent experience dealing with their customer service team. We were up and running in less than three weeks, which was a real surprise and it’s really working. We have been using it a lot in the last month because it was so hot. We just got our first bill after using the air conditioner and we had the gas bill for $25. We're extremely satisfied with our decision to go solar and I would highly recommend Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Jill, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I heard about Vivint Solar through a friend, and I knew solar was coming back to Las Vegas, so I had vetted a bunch of companies. I went with them because their operation was in-house, and everything was in-house. It has been great, and they catered to what I wanted as far as where my panels went and where my meter went. And then they coordinated with me to get all the interconnection done, so it was good. Enrolling with them was super simple, too. What I had liked about it was it didn't take long. No one overstayed their welcome. Customer service has been very good as well. I don't think I've waited on hold longer than a minute or two minutes if I called.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear you've had a great experience going solar, Stephen! Thank you for the review, we appreciate your business.

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

The #2 residential solar installer in the United States, Vivint Solar is a public solar company that launched in 2011.

• Combined services: Vivint offers various home services such as security and automation systems, so you can bundle solar with these products through Vivint at the same time.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Solar panel flexibility: Vivint Solar isn’t tied to any particular solar panel provider, so it’s able to adapt to changes in the market and provide customers with a wide variety of options.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing or PPA customers and solar beginners.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information

Fax:
801.377.4116
www.vivintsolar.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business