2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

PROS

• Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers

CONS

• Pricing not available online

Top Vivint Solar Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what was given. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nice person to deal with that was why I decided to go with him.

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: April 13, 2020

I’m satisfied with Vivint Solar. I’ve seen some differences. I did not go with the complete replacement system, like a full system. I just got something to manage the load during the peak hours. But sometimes I wish I would’ve gotten more but it’s a trade-off. It also took longer to get through the whole approval process than normal, but there were no issues.

I’ve had two times I’ve had to call in and it was handled very well. First was the modem changes on my part generated where I had to have them come out and reprogram the password for my router. They upgraded the box where they were using a modem device for a cellular connection now versus attaching to your own personal modem. So, I don’t have to worry about changing my password on my router anymore.

One other issue was I did have a load controller. When I first got the solar, it didn’t work the way I expected it to offset the load. I thought we’ll pull it from the solar first, and then pull what you need from APS. The way the load controller was set up, it was looking at the whole demand, not the demand that I needed to pull from APS versus a solar. So, I had to upgrade my load controller in order to work with the solar properly.

Vivint Solar response

Blair, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Vivint was in the area and liked what I heard and that’s how we chose them. They were reaching out to brand-new homeowners in our area. It was a lot easier to get their representative in and talk to them one-on-one unlike with the central office. It was harder to reach back to them due to timezone issues, but the local rep was very responsive. If I ever reached out to Jacob, he would get back to me within hours.

We started the process in July of ‘18, installed by third week of October. At the point where we moved forward and agreed on everything we were gonna do, and the design they submitted was 18 panels, they committed to doing the work. The visiting team, the construction crew then moved like a clock. They came in the morning, they secured the whole area with cones and yellow tape around the whole property. And they have their work zones. I cleared out a little bit of space in the garage so they could install the panel, the electricity thing on the inside and the outside. They worked really well. Within half a day they were up on the roof and finished. They were unbelievable. There were four guys, prompt, complete and clean. I took a walk around and there were no nails on the ground. It was pristine.

Our bills from August of 2017 through October of 2018 were cut in half by the time we put the electricity in place. Now that I had a full year of charting that, that’s how I can tell that it’s cut about 50 to 55% of our electricity bill. Meanwhile, this year, it’s two kilowatts a day better. In other words, if March was a 16-kilowatt average a day in ’19, this ’20 March we just finished with 18 kilowatts. We’ve had better sun but obviously, we’ve had a lot of snow, we’ve had colder weather so the bill dropped like 75% of our electricity bill.

With a $21,000 unit installation and with $7,000 of that coming off with a federal credit, one of it was a $1,000 check directly from the state of Maryland. I paid $13,000 for the panel. The fact that I have a wife and daughter who like it a little bit cooler in the summer and a little bit warmer in the winter, so if I would tell if we keep it around at 68. My daughter lives upstairs, and we did not have a huge, super hot time. She will occasionally and rarely once a month come down and turn the heat down or turn it up. But if she’s ever doing that, she can quickly make the adjustment. Vivint Solar is literally a 50% deal.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Dan! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Going solar seems to be something that we should be doing for the nation because of fossil fuels. And the tax credit was a big incentive for us to go ahead and do that to help offset the cost of it. A Vivint Solar salesman came to our door. He was a really nice person and the pricing was better. We had checked with Sunrun and they were really proud of their product. So, we had been thinking about it for a while, and we just felt the Vivint sales rep really presented himself well and we figured we’d go with Vivint. The product and the layout was great. They called us. Somebody hadn’t gotten their final approvals with Xcel. And they installed us really early and that went really well. And then, everything just stalled out. There was a lack of communication between Xcel and Vivint.

Xcel said it was Vivint and Vivint said it was Xcel, that they had a problem uploading a form into the Xcel system that I kept calling on. Vivint people said, “We’re working on it. It’s in.” But it was not. We’ve called Xcel. So, the first line people were very annoying. I needed to talk to someone else because they were just telling me what they thought they knew, but they were not researching it. The second line that we got was really good but I could never get to him. Every time I called in, I got these people that didn’t read the account and the follow-up was really lost in translation.

We were finally installed at the end of September. This whole thing with Xcel and Vivint, and the portal not working, were irritating. Vivint Solar installed it the beginning of September, and then Xcel came out in December and put some meters in. But they never finished up the permission to operate. I kept calling and all of a sudden, Xcel came out again and put in another meter. And we got the permission to operate from Xcel, but it never got to Vivint. Somebody in the back door somewhere had to do something. It was the end of January when we finally were up and running. But we still have an error on our meter that says it’s a four. Supposedly, somebody from Vivint was gonna come out and look at it. And I haven’t heard from anybody again. We were very excited about getting solar and being more green, and Xcel wasn’t really excited about losing another customer that they're not gonna be able to bill $175 a month in the winter.

I seriously think that if something was gonna get screwed up on an account it was gonna be ours. But they've made it right so far. I’m a little frustrated that no one communicated with us on this error that keeps flashing on the production meter. Now, we did have to pay on it for two months without it even generating energy. Supposedly, they were gonna offset that because the deal was once it got set up and was generating power, we were supposed to start paying. But because of the craziness with Xcel, we went into payment before we were generating power. Supposedly, somebody was to go make that payment. So, we decided we’d just go ahead and do it because we didn’t wanna extend it out another two months on the repayment for the loan stuff. But it didn’t feel great.

Some of Vivint's customer service people were really good, kind and tried to figure things out. But others, you'd just hang up and call back. Overall, I’m satisfied with Vivint. If they’ll come out and give me an answer why this error code’s flashing on my meter, I would be much more satisfied. We’ve been in this system for the last two weeks. However, I would like an answer on that. The root cause of the issue was not Vivint from the information I’ve been able to get from Vivint and then the experiences with Xcel. A lot of the problem was Xcel because when the guy from Xcel showed up and ran the doorbell, before my husband and daughter could get to it, the guy went around our back yard. So, our dogs were at the back door, wanting to go out because there was a stranger in the yard and that scared him.

Also, Xcel people were like, “But we don’t send this, we don’t do that.” And Vivint was saying that they have to give it to them. There was a disconnect and I was caught in the middle. Vivint needs to figure out a better working relationship with Xcel and Xcel needs to inform their people. They had a conference call scheduled with Xcel and Xcel never made it. Then, our problem was elevated up to that level. It was two more weeks before they could talk to them about the portal issue. So, that wasn’t Vivint's fault. I was ready to call the state PUC and complain about Xcel. I’ll take a day off from work and I’ll raise hell and get an answer because I am done.

Vivint Solar response

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story and providing us with such great feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve the solar process for our customers. Please send your address to us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can check your account and confirm that a tech will be coming by your home. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The State of Massachusetts gives you a check and Mass Save gives you a check if you go solar. So, it doesn't matter what your tax status is. But the federal government, which gives you the biggest amount of money for going solar, gives you a tax credit and that is naturally only good if you trigger having to pay federal taxes. If you don't have to pay federal taxes because you're retired and you haven't enough things to claim between medical and mortgages, you don't trigger any taxes, so you can't use the credit. So, that's a real bummer and that's one thing I don't like. I would have bought my own panels because then I could've, by now, paid them all off and I'd be getting money from what the panels make.

But as far as Vivint goes, it was a better solution for me to have them put the panels up. And they own them. Now I just have a fixed rate for my power, and when you're retired, it's nice to know that it's pretty much fixed for budget purposes. My bill can go 2.5% percent a year, but they haven't really gone up that much at all. Recently, the state has allowed the solar companies to add more of solar power on the electric. It would go to about 80% to 90% of your total annual usage and they let you use more. So, Vivint came this last June and July, and they put up nine more panels on my house. I had the other ones on the garage, so they had more room to put more panels on the house.

The local part of Vivint was very good and the contractors did very good work. They were prompt as well and came when they said they were gonna come. The quality of the panels is 5-star, too. But I've had a little bit of a problem with their main office out in Utah. When you deal with them out there, you're dealing with people that seem to be Hispanic mostly and some of their accents are very hard to pick up. They talk a little quick as well and when they called, my wife transferred the phone to me. I was able to slow the person down a wee bit and get through the accent. But they were polite and professional.

Still, the Utah Main Office out there is slow and it took a long time for them to get things done. When they needed to add nine more panels on my house, I got that approval back in April of 2019. But the panels didn't go on until about July. It was probably because I had to fix my roof though. I had some shingles that were loose and I had to fix that, so that was not their problem. But then they came right up in July. They put the panels up and they were done. But I never was able to turn these panels on until December because of paperwork.

The paperwork delayed things between the main office of Vivint and whoever they were dealing with, which could be the state, local agencies, or National Grid. But whoever they were dealing with, they were working on a snail's pace and that shouldn't take that long because when I put up my the first panels in 2015, it was much faster. When I met with the guy in July of 2014, they came up and put the panels up in January, and I had the panels turned on in January. But now, it took forever for the paperwork and the things to get them turned on.

My daughter and son ran through the same thing because they all have Vivint. And they said it took six months after the panels were installed to get them turned on so they could use them. When I called and asked Vivint what was going on, I didn't get a return call or an email from them. So, when I didn't get any information back from Vivint in Utah, then I had to blame them because they were not communicating with me to tell me what the delay was for.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Richard. We are glad to hear that you have had a great experience going solar with us. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I was outside one day and a Vivint Solar gentleman was going through the neighborhood. This is the second time they came through. They had come through two years before, did the whole thing, gave me the plans for the house, went through the house and I was all for it. And then, they wanted the plans for the house and I didn’t have them. I had no idea where they were. I couldn’t find them. They said, “Oh, that’s not a problem. We’ll send it through the county for you.” Then all of a sudden, they didn’t wanna pay for the plans for the house. And I just never heard from them again. That really made me mad.

When the salesman came by the second time two years later, I complained all that to him. First, I shooed him away, but the guy was so nice. He worked out and I was at the gym, and we had something in common. I invited him back. We sat down and talked, then I just told him why I shooed him away because I had a bad taste in my mouth from what they did before. They had everything set up, and then they just never contacted me again. They gave me the plans where the panels were gonna be. They gave me the drawings. I was just waiting for the date that they were gonna install everything, and I just never heard from them. They never even came by. And I thought that was very poor. But this time, the salesman came back twice and talked to me. If it weren’t for him, I probably wouldn’t have done it. Because the way he explained everything and broke everything down, that was what really sold me.

Apparently, they had a different management. Back then, they wouldn’t rent the panels. You had to buy them. Now, they let you rent the panels. I’m retired now and my wife is the only one working. If I was still working today, I would’ve probably ended up buying them. But right now, the finances in this household is different ever since I retired. So, there is no way I was putting out that kind of money to buy them. And they do things different now, so that was why I went ahead and did it this time around. They’ve been very nice. The installers were very nice people. They came out and showed me how to turn on the system. If I didn’t know how to turn the system, I’d call them and the gentleman will come out. It has been a pleasant experience. I turned it on some time late October and I only got one bill, so far. My gas and electric bill went from $358 a month down to $158 a month. It has been a pleasant experience all the way around.

Their customer service got a nice app. They showed me to put on my phone and it was cool. You got a read out of what you’re bringing in from the solar panels daily. I only had to call one time, when they kept calling my wife at work. She’s a nurse and she can’t be bothered at work. So, I had to call and say, “You send me all the emails. You call my home when you need something." But they only talk to me when they set all this stuff up. So far, we got that straightened out. Now, I’m authorized if they call to talk.

I was very suspicious with how this was gonna work out, how much savings we were gonna get because you’re not buying the panels. But if anybody has any second thoughts about it, I would go ahead and do it. I can show them proof of my gas and electric bill, how much we’re saving. It’s definitely worth it. This house was built 1975 and I was worried about the extra weight on the roof. It wasn’t built for solar panels to go on there. But the guy had me lift up a solar panel and it was so light. They made me feel good about how light they were when they installed it.

They showed me everything and worked with me. They told me that, “Any time you wanna cancel the installation while we’re doing it, tell me. We’ll stop work right then and there.” They knew I was paranoid about it. But the guys that installed the panels were fantastic. They just walked me through the whole thing, which I thought was very nice on their part, because they were here doing my roof from early in the morning till dark. Other crews came over to help them finish and a guy even asked me, “Is it okay if we put the box here? Is it okay if we put this line here? Do you like the way this looks? We can do it this way if you like it looking better this way. We can run it this way if you like it. We can hide it behind here if you like.” Other people just wanna do it the easiest way. But he cared how it looked, if I was pleased with it. The customer service and the installers were outstanding.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Charles! It sounds like your initial experience with us was a positive experience but you may still have some questions. Feel free to email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with your address and any potential questions or concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

We are being bill for a solar system that is not on our roof. He had it removed to re-roof our home. So the company stated they bill you on your estimate usage? Is this legal?? Each time we contact the billing department, a supervisor is needed to remove the charges. If I don't pay them will this hurt my credit?

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Rufus! Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can look further into this for you and help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

It took a month to just request temporary removal of system in order replace roof after significant wind damage. There has been water damage in our house. Once our request was made only the panels were removed within 30 days. We have spent countless hours on hold and being lied to by “OMs” and “supervisors” trying to get the electrical equipment and brackets removed so that our damaged roof can be repaired. The company does not care if your home is damaged. We were offered $50 and $100 for the inconvenience which we refused. We want Vivint Solar/Sunrun to remove all equipment and release us from our contract.

Vivint Solar response

We're so sorry to hear this, Kimberly. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have tried to get support on my system and tried to transfer it after the sale of my property. I talked the the support team and they hung up on me several times. Also, every time they said they would call me back to solve my problem they didn't. The support team is the worst support team I have ever worked with. I can not advise to go with this company at all!

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Julian. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Vivint refuses to honor the contract in terms of fixing my deteriorating roof and repairs. There are 50 solar panels on top of my roof resulting in water leaking in my house when it rains. I have filled out the claim with the damage department and Vivint has passed the responsibility off to the third party Sunbound Solar which has not contacted me with dates of repairs. Vivint also refuses to force Sunbound Solar to provide me with dates of repairs. This has been ongoing since August 30th when I noticed the leaking inside my house. Both Vivint and Sunbound Solar were well aware that the roof needed to be repaired and proceed with the installation of solar panels. The lack of integrity and compassion for customer care has been short of a nightmare. If mold isn’t in my house it is sure to come while everyone else is enjoying their comfortable functioning systems, this is a complete nightmare!!!

Vivint Solar response

We're so sorry to hear this, Troi. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Can we have a look? Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can help resolve this for you. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I was charged in full for a removal and told it would be done 10/07 but no later than 10/8. It’s now 10/12 and I called in to see why the solar has yet to be removed. I was on hold for one and a half hours waiting to speak to a supervisor. The minute the picked up the line they hung up with no return call, I have now been on the phone, live chat and sent an email that bounced back because the customer service rep gave me an incorrect email to reach the removal and reinstall department. This is unprofessional and unacceptable. It’s now 11:44 and there is still no response. The live chat option online gave me a rep named Diego and at 11:27 am he said give him a couple of minutes to check it’s 11:45 and he hasn’t responded to even the question are you still there? This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

This is a hazard to the health of the home owner because of the mold growth due to the leaks cause by your install team. We are going to reach out to the BBB as well as seeking legal aid since none of the supervisors are willing to handle this in a timely way. I’ve been hung up on 4 times today because the customer service line would rather have lawsuits the resolution. Terrible service!

Vivint Solar response

Oh no, Denette! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Vivint Solar Company Information