3.79/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

Vivint Solar Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 25, 2019

My neighbor across the street put solar in his house. Then when we were out in the front yard, I queried him about who he got it from and how much it costed him. He told me about Vivint Solar and that it cost him nothing. I still didn't quite understand how it worked. Then Ryan, a freelancer that represented a couple of different companies, showed up at my door and was selling Vivint Solar. I began talking to him about that and the deal where there would be no out-of-pocket expense appealed to me.

We went through the process. There are certain conditions that a client has to meet and an agreement to sign in order to sign up for the deal. It took at least three months for them to design the system and send somebody to come out and survey it. Then it took two trips for that because the guy had an equipment problem. We finally got around to deal to where I qualified and I was interested. So we signed all the papers and they came out with a crew of three people and installed the system. The permitting process took some time. There was initial permitting through the local power company and then another one from the county billing inspection department. Finally, we got through that. And it has been working for two months now.

There's only two living in my house, the wife and I. And Vivint Solar determined that the 13 panels would produce enough power for the two of us. The solar system doesn't work at night, so we use the local power. Then in the daytime, it produces more power that we use and it goes into a bank and the power company keeps a record of that. Then you build up credit over time, which is used against what you use from them and they balance it out. The first month's bill was great. I owed the power company $6.86 but I owed Vivint Solar $54. It was about $60 in total. On an average, my bill at the time was $93. So that's about $30 a month in reduction on what I was paying for the power. I still have a bill from the local power company, but it's more about records and the amount of power that's being generated and used.

I love Ryan because he is a neighborhood kid. He went to high school here three blocks down the street. One time, he told me that he was gonna come and show me how to hook that system into my computer so I could monitor its performance and activities. But he has never done that. He said he was gonna do it a couple of times, but he never did. Also, my neighbor next door to me is interested and the guy hasn't come back and contacted him. I'm dissatisfied that they haven't gotten back to me. I'm not getting a response to this business of getting in touch with the people that I know that would be interested in this program. There's not enough follow-up.

In addition to not hearing from Ryan, I haven't heard much from Vivint Solar. There are so many agencies involved and that's the reason it takes as long as it takes. So the follow-up with all these activities that have to happen, Vivint Solar doesn't have any control over. They're patient, but the client is not too patient. And I don't understand why it takes so long.

I also would like to see an organized company in uniform or at least in a uniform shirt that says Vivint Solar on it. They came out here and got blue jeans and cowboy boots. Also, the vehicles that they come out in don't have Vivint on the side so that neighbors can see what company it is. Vivint has a product that they should be proud of, and their workers should be proud to work for them. But to date, I'm satisfied with the cost and the payment result with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Johnny, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that Ryan took good care of you. Thanks for going solar with us!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve been researching solar for 20 years and noticing that for small houses often where I live, there’s not a lot of roof area. It’s a little house and solar really didn’t put up enough power. Then more recently, the technology has improved enough that now, it does. I have an associate that I work with, and he bought a house recently in Los Angeles where there’s a bigger house and a lot of sun. The house came with solar as part of a mandated thing that the housing tract had to do. And so, another guy and I were watching his bill being a negative number occasionally or very low, and our bills were higher. So, that kind of got us started again.

So, I did review the research again to see that now, the solar panels are putting up more power. And so, I contacted several different companies, got various stories on incentives and odds and ends and different people that seem pushy, and salesmen who didn’t seem to know what they were talking about. And out of all of those, one of them was Vivint, and they seemed to be much more straightforward and knowledgeable. They also had the best incentive. I was able to get a friend in Phoenix on board, so both of us are supposed to get 500 bucks.

Another big determining factor was the fact that with prior solar things, one has to finance and pay, and they’d tell you, “Oh, It’ll amortized soon. And soon, it will be worth it.” With Vivint, you don’t pay anything. It’s free. They maintain and monitor it. They install it, too. My roof was in good shape so I could just go ahead and do that. I have zero out of pocket expenses to put the thing there. Both the guys at Vivint Solar that I talked to on the phone, sales and coordinator types, and the workers that came out, were all very professional. There wasn’t a lot of BS and they were polite.

PG&E supplies my power in California. When I got my first bill, it was in the middle of the month probably because the new system has started, so the prior month, it was like 200 bucks for PG&E, and then all of a sudden, it was 50 bucks. That sounds great but it was in the middle of the month and it had so many bizarre terms and odds and ends and taxes and adjustments, and this and that, that I really couldn’t say what it’s going to be like. Plus, under the new system, I’m supposed to be paying Vivint a certain amount every month. I’m buying the power from them and then pass the certain amount that they will charge. PG&E will charge the difference. And there are different other factors that one never would have thought of that they got in them like taxation and all kind of stuff that plays into these things that makes it ridiculously complicated.

And then they make reference on the PG&E bill until the end of the year to adjust the profit. Normally, you just pay for power. In this case, you’re putting power back into the grid, so that they’ll profit from that, and then the loss from what you use over and above that. And that’s constantly monitored, adjusted and regulated. So, whether this is worth it and by how much, it’ll probably take a year at least to see how it all plays out.

Out in California, we’ve had a lot of big fires. And everybody is pointing at whoever might have the pocket, whether they have it or not. And it may prove that the biggest advantage of going solar is to escape PG&E’s rate increase after the fires. Overall, everything with Vivint Solar so far has been fine. I wish I could see in the future, a year from now or two, what the real difference is because Vivint is gonna raise their rates a couple of percent every year.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Ron, we are happy to hear that after such extensive research, you choose to go with Vivint Solar. We are excited for you to see the savings. Thank you for leaving us a review! And thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Right now, the solar is not saving me any money. I’m paying two bills – the electric bill and the solar bill. The solar bill is not that large right now. But I’m still paying the electric bill so I really don't see the difference. As soon as Vivint put the solar in, they told me I could turn it on and it wasn’t hard to turn on. I thought that as soon as you got the solar, your electric bill would go away and you’d just pay their taxes, maybe $30, then you would pay your solar bill, whatever it was monthly. But that’s not what it is. It’s like you’re waiting on the energy from the sun to come to give you that credit. And if you don’t have enough, then you’re paying two bills.

Right now, I'm paying 50-something with solar and then another 170-something with my electric company. So I’m paying more. I thought since it's just me in my house, I was gonna be paying less than $200. I don’t know if the bill is gonna even out down the line but right now, it seems like I’m paying more out of my pocket. I called the company and they gave me to their solar department, and the rep said I probably wouldn't see a difference for a minute. I also talked to people here and four around my neighborhood has solar. I have a couple of co-workers as well. They said it would take a minute before I even see the difference and that I will continue to have a bill with APS. When people at Vivint Solar make their presentation, they need to let people know upfront that they will not see a difference in their electric bill until they have at least six months to a year and that they will always keep their electric bill.

I called Vivint Solar twice to get an understanding of the system but the lady I spoke with didn’t even know if I was with a program. I'm leasing but I guess they've got purchasing and leasing, and she was confused. Even though I gave her my information, she gave me the wrong information. Then she came back and said she wasn't really sure so I just disregarded it. Then the last time I spoke to someone, I was trying to figure out how the bill comes out. I thought I had set it up for direct debit, which I did, but I couldn't tell. I told the rep that I was on the system and she told me where I needed to go and what boxes I needed to click. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have known to go and pull that up.

The enrollment process with Vivint was simple. I was accepted into a program then they did everything for me. I met the qualifications and it just rolled on in. The next thing I knew, they were putting the solar panels up. They told me what I needed to do and I had to be at the house when they came and put the solar up. The person who was directing the installation told me everything that was gonna happen. He very knowledgeable, and he explained it to me step-by-step and what to look for. He was excellent. I work from home from time to time though, and it was a little noisy. But that was to be expected because they were on top of my roof. And other than that, the team was fast. I don't even think it took four hours. They did what they needed to do and they were really good.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Madelyn, We love hearing that the sales representative and our operations team did a great job! We're happy you decided to go solar with us. If you have any additional concerns or questions feel free to email us. Thank you for leaving your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Vivint's sales people came around the neighborhood and at that time, we were not yet considering going solar. But they said they’d save us money on our electric bill, so we signed up with them. Two sets of panels were installed in our house and we have two accounts with Vivint Solar. Paying two separate bills for solar panels on one home causes a little bit of disruption in trying to budget because you don’t know how much each panel was going to generate at a variable feature of the solar panel in general. We got a bill for $28 on one shot then we got a bill for $30 on another shot. But with the regular electric bill, you can go on what they call a budget plan where you lock in a fixed rate each month and at the end of the year, they make an adjustment and you either get a credit or you owe a difference in underpaid usage.

When you have a situation like we have now with two separate accounts not being married together, it makes it kinda hard to project in the future what our electric bill is gonna be. Now the Pepco portion of the bill, we have it as a fixed rate and it’s a bit high. But not having a complete full year with both the accounts and the Pepco bill married together, it’s very difficult to budget ahead especially for those of us who are on “fixed incomes”. Unlike a car or insurance payment where you know every month what your payment is gonna be, we're kinda scratching our head with the Vivint situation we now have.

With the very unpredictable nature of mother nature, we’re not gonna know how much kilowatt production goes to systems they’re gonna generate until we got some time under our belt. This past winter was cold, but this winter that we’re currently experiencing has been unseasonably hot. For instance, today, the temperature is gonna go up to 60 degrees but last year at this time, the temperature never broke 30.

I was also concerned that because of the two accounts being generated, we were not made aware that once we got the second set of panels, which consist of 21 panels, to marry up with the 22 that we already had, we had to log on to Vivint's website and turn on a “switch.” The second set was put on the house last August and while we were getting a bill on the initial installation, we never got a bill for September, October, November, and December. So that also added to the confusion. Finally, by way of telephone communication with Vivint's account payable department, we were able to find out what the bill was on the second installment and we paid it. And hopefully by the end of this month, we’ll know what the two separate bills are for for the first time,

Other than that, we enjoy the service. I also know that Vivint has good people and I’m not complaining about the product itself. The problem is overseeing the product and meeting our liability and obligations to Vivint Solar because as customers, we’re getting a product and service that we have to pay for but we're unable to project down the road because there is no fixed rate program available.

In the future, when we have a “track record” well established with the kilowatt consumption on average, maybe at that point we might be able to think seriously about improvement for Vivint to the customers that would allow them to do what the general electric companies in the neighborhood do like Pepco or Philadelphia Power Gas Electric up in Philly area. Because people want to be able to plan ahead of time how much money they need to set up and set aside so that any obligation, financial or otherwise, can be met without any strain or effort on the part of the homeowners.

The other problem I ran into with Vivint was the snow guards. The ones on the front panels of the initial installation were covered by Vivint because we had a blizzard and because of the lack of the snow guards, our rain gutters came down. So we had to hire somebody to come out and fix them. Vivint was very good and very accommodating in admitting their error and they reimbursed us for the cost of re-hanging the rain gutters. When the second set was placed on the home, we were told that snow guards would be included but we found out after the installation that they were not included and that we had to pay almost $1,000 to have 30 feet of snow guard installed.

The issue with that is, we didn’t own the panels. Vivint does and we are renting them. So as a rental product, we are held liable as a homeowner to pay for protection of those panels and I had a real problem with that. So as of today, we do not have snow guards on our north-facing solar panels. That is an issue that never got resolved because I don’t have $900 to pay for that. And if I do pay for it and something happens to the snow guards, they become defective or do damage to either the roof itself or the panels themselves, who’s liable? That’s another issue that never got resolved. So that’s where I stand right now.

Vivint needs to do some type of analysis based on regional locations of the homes in the United States. As a general rule, homes in Florida, Arizona, Southern California, Alabama, Mississippi, and Southern Georgia, are not gonna have a snow guard problem. But when you get north of the Mason-Dixon line, we’re subject to heavy snow damage or blizzard condition. So it should become an “automatic” portion of any future installments. Vivint really needs to seriously consider that because the panels are their property and they need to put into their program that additional protection to their property. Other than that, with using their service and the solar panels, we’re helping reduce the cost of electrical generation for our homes and helping reduce carbon emission. That's a very good thing and everybody should strive for that.

Vivint Solar response

Hello John. We are sorry to hear that you've had some concerns regarding your billing as well as with snow guards. Please feel free to send us an email and we can look further into this for you. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We had Vivint install the solar panels last December and I was thinking we would build up credits throughout the year then be able to use those credits of generated electricity in times when we have low production. When I called Edison, they said that that was zeroed out on the anniversary of our installation, so that means we would end up going through January with no credits and our rate would be a little bit higher. So those are fine details that I didn’t quite understand when we were started with Vivint. Everything else has been positive.

Initially, when their guy came to the door, we didn’t know much about going solar. And usually, we don’t like to talk to people door to door, but he seemed to be informative and friendly. So we listened and we wanted to do our part for the renewal energy and climate change, so we decided to go ahead and do it even though he said that it would probably end up costing us nearly $10 a month for our production would probably even out. But then we have a connection fee with Edison that would be about 10 bucks a month and that’s part of what we’d end up paying over what we’re paying now.

The installation went well and pretty smoothly. They kept in contact and told us some things would happen, and they pretty much happened that way. The city came out and did an inspection of our house and one of the things they said we had to have was CO2 detectors in all of bedrooms. We had some in the hallways just outside the bedrooms but they said they wanted them in the bedrooms and one outside the hall. And they got the Vivint guy here when this happened and he said they'd supply those. He said they'd come over, give them to us, and we could put them in. So he told us to tell the guys from the city that we've got them. So we did and we haven’t gotten any from them. It was kinda strange that they would be giving this stuff and I don’t know if the guy spoke out of line or not.

But we plan on having to go down and buy some CO2 detectors to put in the bedrooms because I told the city guys we had them and we really don’t have them, so we will have to rectify that. Nobody ever mentioned that before and it seemed kinda weird that Vivint's rep would say and do something that he didn’t. Also, I don’t even know his name. I’ve never seen him before and haven’t seen him since.

So far, we’re not getting much solar energy. We’ve got a big tree in the backyard and this is the worst time of the year for solar for us. I imagine our electricity bill is gonna be quite a bit higher this month than it was last December or January. But I’m sure there are a lot of legal things why they couldn’t maximize our solar production and it was just marginal.

Going solar is gonna cost you a little bit of money, but it’s whatever you think you wanna do for the cause and if you’re willing to do that, I would suggest using Vivint. In fact, I just talked to my brother last week and told him about them. Getting the system was free and we haven’t put a penny into it. So we’re doing our part with no out of pocket expenses. And we were such slow consumers of electricity. We were marginal and we just barely qualified. We’re senior citizens and we would have never paid for it in our lifetime.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Carl. We love hearing that our customers are excited about going green. However, we are sorry to hear that you have not heard back regarding the CO2 detectors. Feel free to send us an email and we can look further into this for you. Thank you for your feedback.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Vivint Solar came out to fix a simple issue with my roof leaking due to the solar panels. Vivint removed the panels, fixed the leak. Left main detached from the panels since September. I have been getting charged for production when the panels didn’t produce for two months on the Vivint end and PSEG (THE POWER COMPANY) has been sending us astronomical bills. I called to rectify the issue and was hung up on the first time after demanding a supervisor. The second time I requested to speak to a supervisor and was given the run around, transferred a few times and then was told all the supervisors were too busy with other callers that someone would call me in an hour. 3 weeks later I am still waiting.

I had someone investigating about getting us extra panels on a house we purchased and assumed the Vivint contract. When we moved in last January our panels were not producing enough juice to substantiate a lower energy bill. I was told we needed 3 months of bills from PSEG to get more panels. I sent them over. Then I was told they needed 4 months, then 6 month of high energy bills. During this period the energy bank drained to zero and the power company has been reporting ZERO solar production registered from Vivint since September. All summer long we have been getting billed from PSEG because our Vivint system isn’t producing enough solar power to be worth the investment then Vivint is also billing us even for two months when they left our panels completely disconnected from the main???!!!. The gentleman who was investigating this now has been avoiding my calls, emails and texts asking Vivint for help in rectifying these issues.

Vivint seems to train reps to give any existing customer the run around till they hang up in sheer frustration and refuses to get you over to an employee or supervisor that can get things accomplished. If you want to buy the Vivint reps are super friendly, once they have you in contract it seems Vivint can care less about their existing customer base. Buyer beware – I suggest anyone who is investigating this company for solar run the other way. Don’t get scammed like we did - I would give ZERO STARS if it was an option at this point with an issues now ongoing since July and still unresolved as of November.

Vivint Solar response

Oh no, Jeremy! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Vivint started to install panels on wrong side of my 1 week old brand new roof and then removed the bolts and left damaged shingles all along the roof line. Never said a word to me about it. Now I am selling my house and the home inspection stated we had damaged shingles. My roofer inspected same and stated this was done by Vivint not the roofers. I called Vivint on Nov 1st and no one got back to after being on hold for over an hour. Now I call again on 11/7 and damage resolutions mentions they will come out 11/25 a month after my original call.

This is unacceptable since the close on my house is the 20th. Therefore I will not be able to close and lose out on the sale. I vehemently mentioned that to them yet they claim nothing they can do to resolve my issue sooner. Worst company I have ever dealt with. Being on hold for long periods of time or never getting back to my call so I hang up after an hour. They caused the damage and are unwilling to prioritize getting this resolved in time for my home closing date. Horrible company, despicable customer service, and damage resolution department will not fix my problem in a timely manner so I can close on my house. Terrible service. Will never use them again.

Vivint Solar response

We're so sorry to hear this, Walter. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can look into resolving your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Solar sounded like a good idea until I got all the information about it. A Vivint rep came and said there would be no charge for me and how much I could save. Then it took them a while to put the solar panels in. They promised they'd show up and then they didn't. It was no big deal but after they installed the panels, I got a bill that said they had deducted almost $300 out of my account. That put a shock on me 'cause I wasn't prepared for that. So I'm on a tight budget. I contacted Vivint and they said that the next bill I get wouldn't be that much. Then, I told them that if I gotta pay something, they need to bill me directly and not to take it out of my checking account.

Also, I have a power box inside the house. They hooked all to that and run the power from my box outside to their box. They told me it would be moved outside so I kept asking if they could have somebody move it and see what the cost would be. I wouldn't mind helping out on the cost for that but they said no, they didn't do it. I'm not very dissatisfied with Vivint though. I got a bill from Edison and it was a lot less. I've been paying about 200 from them and it was around $20 drop on their part.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you so much for letting us know, Wilbert. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Please send us an email to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with your address and this review so we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have Vivint's security system and I got interested going solar for I thought I would save money. It was simple when I enrolled with Vivint Solar. But I’m getting a bill from Vivint and from the electric company. It’s a little confusing, but it’s all right. Vivint said that my billing should be directly through them, which has nothing to do with the electric company. So, I shouldn’t be paying the electric company and I should just be paying my solar bill. I'll recommend Vivint Solar. They didn't do anything wrong.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Don! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

A salesperson from Vivint Solar stopped by and explained everything to me. He looked at my bill once and told me what I would need. I agreed to have it installed. They sent an inspector over the house to look if it was feasible and he didn’t like the roof, which I knew I needed it replaced. I hired a company that came over and replaced my roof, and then somebody else from Vivint came out and looked at my electrical panels. They looked at everything and everything got approved. Within a week or so, I had new solar panels installed but it took a while until it was activated ‘cause of the permits for the city and the state.

I am in my third month with Vivint Solar and right now, I’m not satisfied. I was promised all kinds of savings. The first month was okay because it was only a few days. But last month was my very first full month and compared to the same time last year, I only saved three bucks. I expected better savings than that. Let’s see this month what it’s gonna be. I haven't received the bill yet. Other than that, my experience with Vivint Solar was good and I recommended it to my oldest son. However, he lives in Pennsylvania and they are not offering their service there yet.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Manuel! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

This company offers solar panels and a product line of solar batteries, powerful chargers and smart home apps to customers in 22 states. Plans include solar purchase, solar loan, solar power purchase agreement (PPA) and solar lease.>

• Solar panels: Vivint Solar offers polycrystalline panels for those looking to save money and monocrystalline panels for greater efficiency.

• Combined services: The process involves consultation, design, permitting, installation and activation. The company has partnered with LG Chem that provides batteries with an energy capacity of 9.8 kWh and warranty of 10 years. They are wall-mounted, noiseless and touch-safe.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information