Call toll free
3.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

1560 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I wanted to try to help control the cost a little so I looked into solar energy service. Since my in-laws have Vivint Solar, I went with them too. The enrollment process was easy although the red tape was annoying. Nonetheless, the installation went well and the customer service team has been good. They’ve been pleasant and has been providing as much information as they could. It’s been a positive experience overall. But I’ll wait and see what happens with the bill to see if it is actually worth it.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Brian! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Thiago ** and Vivint Solar have been great from signing up to turn on. Smooth process with no hiccups. Thiago has great knowledge of the solar industry. Install crew was on time and professional. No regrets. This hot summer with AC always running no electric bills. Recommend.

Vivint Solar response

We're glad Thiago took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My dad had been talking about getting solar energy services because of the cost of everything going up and we also thought that it would be a good, environmental thing to do. I took care of everything in enrolling him with Vivint Solar. That experience was great and the process was very easy. My dealings with the customer service rep were excellent.

The lady who came out to do the installation did a great job. She was very pleasant and explained everything. I emailed back and forth with her with questions and she got back to me within five minutes. I had to cancel a couple of our meetings because of something coming up and she told me to let her know when I could do it. I gave her a date and she was here. She followed up after the system was installed and once the switch was pulled on it.

I'm mixed right now, though, with our decision to go solar because three months into it, our next energy bill came right back to what we were paying before with Edison and it did not lower my dad's payment at all or his energy usage. Nonetheless, our overall experience with Vivint Solar has been excellent and I've recommended them to several people. They were right on and they answered questions. People should give them a call.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Carol! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The enrollment process at Vivint was painless. Vivint did all the work. They did all of the permitting, all the schedule and all the inspections. Their reps were very professional and the workers that came here to do the installation, cleaned up nicely and were very efficient. I’ve mentioned Vivint to other neighbors and they’ve come over and looked at the install here. I also told them about the duration of time it took to install. It was all pretty much what you see is what you get. Vivint did a nice job. After I went solar, the first electric bill I got is down 30%.

Vivint Solar response

Stephen, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to go green with you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Super happy with my system. Signed up through Thiago ** who has worked with a lot of people in my neighborhood. Sign up to system. Turn on took 3 Months. Only gripe is that National Grid didn't allow one more panel. I wanted to even out the panels over my garage.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Gregory! We are happy to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was looking for something different out there as compared to other power companies and I was wanting to see how that would work. One of Vivint Solar's reps came over and he tried to sell their product to me. He explained well how it works compared to other companies. I then switched to them and the sign-up process was easy. So far, my interactions with their reps have been well. Vivint Solar is a great company.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Jorge! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The enrollment with Vivint Solar was so easy and the rep that I worked with was topnotch. I've dealt with a lot of people and I'd throw them under the bus, but I can't say anything bad about anyone that's been connected with Vivint Solar. Also, my first solar bill was $4.35.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Clifton. We are happy to hear about your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Switching to solar looked like a good deal and a friend of ours referred us to their salesperson at Vivint Solar. The enrollment process was simple, but trying to find out what your bill is is a chore on the computer. The last bill we got from Vivint was $128, which was a little more than we had anticipated. But everybody has been great and we would recommend them.

Vivint Solar response

Paul, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. If you ever have questions please feel free to call into Customer Service at 877-404-4129.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I'm darn satisfied with our decision to go solar. Our PG&E bill made us decide to look into it. Vivint Solar was putting up a lot of solar in our neighborhood and so we started talking to them. Signing up was great. It was so easy that we just put on additional eight panels after they reached out to us and let us know that we were eligible for them. They came out, did everything, and the panels were installed in no time. We've had a good and smooth experience with Vivint Solar. They’ve been responsive to any questions we’ve had. We’ve already recommended them to a few neighbors and family members.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Shannon! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

When I got my electric bill for the year, it was running around $600. It was really atrocious because of the air conditioning in the summertime and we got a six-bedroom house. I decided to start looking into solar energy services and we checked with other solar companies. But I wasn’t quite happy with what they were offering so when a gentleman from Vivint named John knocked on our door and asked, I decided to give him a chance. He came in, talked with us and explained what they were offering, and I decided to go with Vivint Solar.

The enrollment process was not difficult at all. We got the paperwork and the difference was shown to me. The payment was the main thing that sold me, including the fact that I’m not renting the panels from them, my cents kilowatt was way below what Southern California Edison was charging, and Vivint doesn’t go up above an X amount if I use more. Wayne became my new contact when I ended up not talking with John after the first information because he left. I love Wayne and I’m just happy with the service. He did what he said he’s gonna do, called me when he said he’s gonna call, and everything that he said would happen, happened. I am 100% satisfied with my decision to go solar and with Vivint. I’ve recommended them to a couple of other friends.

Vivint Solar response

Wendy, we are excited to hear about your experience. Thank you for leaving us a review and for your referrals. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Solar energy is a good idea and I'm very satisfied to go for it. A friend of mine came over to talk to me about Vivint Solar, then I enrolled with them. The process, which started late May, was very easy. Then I flipped the switch on September 27. It took four months but that was not due to the solar company. It was because of the energy company with the permits.

I got eight panels and the installation was excellent. The team was there on time and on the day they were supposed to show up. And they were done within five minutes of the estimated installation time they gave me. Vivint Solar is a good company with wonderful customer service. I’ve recommended them to friends, and they’ve gotten it as well.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Sigrid, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Vivint first contacted me through a door-to-door guy about home security. Then, the next thing I know, I got contacted by another guy that was from Solar. The enrollment process was time-consuming. It wasn't that hard, but it's been months to get it done. The salesman told me that it would take roughly three months to get everything installed and then I had to wait for approval from the local power company before it was activated.

About a month before it was activated, my wife heard a story about pigeons collecting under solar panels and nesting there. I raised the issue with the salesman, and he said it’s not a problem with their products and that he had never heard of it happening. Unfortunately, he didn’t know his product very well because needless to say, after the system was activated, I had pigeons nesting underneath the panels. I brought it to his attention and he basically told me that it was my tough luck because I had to pay for it. So I contacted Vivint Solar, and they wouldn’t pay for it. Nobody knows the product very well. They acted like this is new to them and yet it’s happening all over town. I went to four different websites for pest companies and all of them know that it’s a problem and have serviced many people who had to pay for cleaning up and putting guards around so the pigeons don’t get in there.

Since Vivint Solar won't pay for it, I found out that they could order the material to put around the panels, but I would have to pay for it. I thought that having a solar energy service won't cost me anything, but I went ahead and gave them my credit card and they charged me for it. Then, they also said they don’t clean up and I'd have to have somebody do the cleaning, which meant I had to go out and hire somebody, in addition to paying that money for it. They told me that they would call me back in three to four days too. A week went by and nobody called me. I called again after two weeks, but nobody still called me. The service on responding was horrible. So then, I placed a call, and I went ahead and cancelled the order since I was charged for it but never even got it. They told me that it would take four to seven days to get my credit back. So far, I haven’t got my credit.

In the meantime, I contacted a pest company and the guy has done jobs for Vivint, doing exactly the same thing--cleaning up and putting the guard rails around the sides. I went ahead and got the job done by somebody else. I'm out $500 more for getting it done, but it was cheaper than what Vivint was gonna charge me for the material alone. Vivint Solar needs to make sure they tell people that there’s a pigeon problem and not just ignore it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I wanted to get my power bill way lower. My neighbor got solar so I decided to check into getting Vivint Solar as my house already had Vivint's alarm system. Getting solar through them was easy. Their techs came out and took care of everything.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Elizabeth, We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

A salesman from Vivint Solar came by and I had a pretty good interaction with him. His name is Terrence and whatever questions I had, he had more or less answered them. I still have two questions though and I’d like to talk to him again. But everything went well during the enrollment. The installation went fine as well and it took three months or more to get the solar panels up and running. I’m satisfied going solar.

Vivint Solar response

We're glad Terrence took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The fellow that we had from Vivint Solar is a good guy, and we are still in touch with him. The enrollment process was tedious based upon public government, but it was fairly easy. All in all, I'm happy with my decision on going solar.

Vivint Solar response

We are excited to have you going solar with us Jonathan! Than you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The energy cost savings are good from my solar panels, but the customer service aspect is terrible. I need my panels removed so that I can replace my roof. I've had countless delays from Vivint since making the request in June 2018. Have paid their fee for the panel service, but all I get are lame excuses why they don't show up or call on the date scheduled to say they are not coming. Three specific days in the past week have been no-shows for Vivint panel to be removed.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Harold. We are saddened to hear about the missed appointments for your panel removal. We understand how this can be frustrating. We would like to talk to you further about it. Can you please email us at online-reviews@vivntsolar.com? Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I recently gave a Google review about Vivint Solar. As I read I am not the only one that was ripped off with saying having their solar would save me money. The fine print didn't mention anything about what the salesman told me. I should have listened to my gut instinct and not gone ahead with it. We have had our solar for almost a year now and our bill has more than doubled. With PNMs (Power New Mexico) basic regular bill of now almost $13 and Vivint charging me 13 cent per Kwh from the start, our average $25 summer bills have gone over $60 total. I am a teacher making crap for pay and supporting a family of 3. I don't appreciate being ripped off, as well as being lied to. People that are not satisfied should be able to break their 20 yr. lease without penalty. We should also be told about all the implications involved in getting solar with Vivint.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Nate. Thank you for reaching out to us. We would like to address your savings concerns and see where we can help. Can you please email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Our neighbor across the street has Vivint and David, the rep, who was going door-to-door to solicit business, made such a favorable impression on me. Normally, I would slam the door but I didn't, which meant that he was great. He was very knowledgeable and he answered my questions. His presentation and the system's cost-saving feature had a lot to do with our decision to go solar with Vivint. Also, David already looked at my roof and knew pretty well how to install it without being so obvious out on the street side. I never would allow anybody to do it because most of them wanna put them out on the very front of the house.

Going with Vivint was a nice and easy transition. All we did was go out and turn the switch. However, we haven't received any statement yet, so we don’t know where we stand financially on this thing. I've called Edison to find out why we haven't received the statement from them and I've done this twice. However, they kept telling me that I probably won't receive a statement from them before the 1st of November. Nevertheless, our experience with Vivint Solar has been very favorable so far. We're as happy as we can be with the whole system and I have recommended them.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear about your positive experience, Floyd! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I am 100% satisfied with my decision to go solar with Vivint. My electric provider was kind of high and I wanted to save on electricity, so I figured going solo would be good as well as going green. Signing up with Vivint Solar was easy. Everybody was kind and easy to deal with, and also very courteous, helpful, knowledgeable and professional. I've had a very good experience talking to their reps who were very understanding. I've had a lot of questions and they answered all of them. Then, if I called and talked to somebody else, I'd get the same answer. This gave me a lot of confidence. Also, whenever I've had problems, they've explained everything to me. The only thing was the inspections took a long time, but other than that, going solar with Vivint is worth it in the long run.

Vivint Solar response

Dennis, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are excited to have you go green with us!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I looked into solar energy services to save money, energy and also for the green world. I've been with Vivint Solar for a month now. Their installation crew was very good and they didn’t bother me at all.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Wen. We are happy to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

A representative from Vivint Solar walked up to my door and convinced me to switch to solar energy services. He told me that the solar equipment is free, but they belong to Vivint. I had some concerns about that because I didn’t want anybody to put a lien on my house, but he told me that they wouldn’t do that as the services are not free. Everything he said was true. But at the time when they were putting Vivint’s system in, I got suspicious because they had to put a meter in my house and the rep had told me before that I don’t need one as I already had one. Also, I had some concerns because they wanted me to sign some papers online and I didn’t want to do that at first, but it turned out okay in the end. I was having second thoughts in the middle of the process, but then I told myself that I was gonna go ahead and do everything, and everything worked out pretty well.

The process of enrolling with Vivint was easy. There was no charge for the installation, so that was good. My mom is under a care thing and the rep told me that they were gonna increase the service fee for everybody else, but my energy bill was gonna remain pretty much at the same level, so that was good. So far, everything has been going well with the service of Vivint Solar and I’m very satisfied with my switching to solar energy services.

Vivint Solar response

Manuel, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. If you ever have questions regarding your solar please call us at 877-404-4129. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

PLEASE DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY! Every month my bill is incorrect. When you call and ask about it they always say they don't know what the problem is and will have to call you back and never do. My bill will say I have a credit and then a month later I will get an email saying I missed a payment. I call and say I never received a bill saying I owed anything and guess what their response is? "Sorry we'll have to call you back." Oh and you can't check how much your bill is unless you sign up for auto pay. This is such a rip off. PLEASE TAKE THIS AS A WARNING. GO WITH ANYONE ELSE BESIDES THIS COMPANY. I wish I could give 0 stars.

Vivint Solar response

Luis, we thank you for submitting a review. We want to look into this and do our best to resolve your concern. Please send an email with your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My friend at work highly recommended Richard as a salesman for Vivint Solar. I was really apprehensive about going with them, but he was excellent. He walked me through the whole application process and told me everything that I was afraid of. He also told me all about the inspections and that a lady would come. He was just very reassuring to me that everything would go smoothly, and it did. The lady came, went through the attic and the cellar, and did all the measurements and pictures. The installation was awesome, too. The guys were great. We just had one issue though, but Richard took care of that and explained more in-depth about things.

So far, we like going solar with Vivint. It greatly reduces the electric bill. It helps the economy, too, as they’re not using as much electricity and the solar helps out during the day. The only thing I don’t like is I don’t have a computer, so it’s hard for me to follow everything as far as billing. But, that’s my problem. I’ve recommended Vivint Solar to a few people and told them to go through Richard.

Vivint Solar response

We're glad Richard took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Enrolling with Vivint Solar was very easy. But the first time that they offered their solar energy services, I declined because there wasn't gonna be enough savings when they put the solar energy system on my house. I have a barn that has a metal roof and they were finally able to do something about that. Now, the solar energy system is gonna do 98% of my electricity so I let them put it on my barn. The professionalism and the quality of service provided by the rep that helped me get the system set up were very good. I've had a very good experience with Vivint Solar and I'm very well satisfied so far.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We got into solar energy when the gentleman from Vivint Solar came to our door. We discussed it and I rushed that day and agreed to have it done. Then I had a yard full of their guys when they did the installation. The driveway was completely occupied and they took over, but they got it finished. However, my experience in enrolling with Vivint Solar was a little inconvenient. I wasn’t sure what was going with it till I got through it. It is an experience where a customer has to have a little help to start with it and it could have been explained just a touch more, but the system was just handed to us and we had to figure out for ourselves what was going on in the house. Still, it's a good thing and it was just something new that I had to get experienced with.

Since having the solar energy system, the house stays a little cooler without having to turn on the air conditioning. Also, our dealings with the customer service reps have been satisfactory. So far, I'm okay with my decision to go solar. I haven't had the solar energy system very long, so I'm not quite used to it yet, but I'm getting there.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Dorothy! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My energy bill was getting so high, so I looked into solar energy services, and a friend told me about Vivint Solar. Enrolling with them was very easy and I got a lot of help and guidance, so I’m very satisfied with that process. I’ve gotten my first bill and it was quite a bit lower than my previous PG&E bill, so I’ve noticed that difference. So far, I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Joanne. We are happy to hear your PG&E bills are getting lower. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

When we bought our home it already had Vivint solar. We took on a power purchase agreement. At the end of the first year there was a True Up bill of almost $5000. Ridiculous, to say the least. We replaced some high usage items like an AC with newer more cost effective units. The following year the True Up was still over $2000. We contacted Vivint. They installed 14 more panels in May of this year. It is now October and they still haven't procured a permit from the city. Needless to say the real estate on my roof that Vivint's panels are on is worthless until the switches are flipped and my new system starts producing power. Vivint is non-responsive. My advice- go with the local guy and buy your system.

Vivint Solar response

Hey Robert! We're sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so we can look further into your account? Thank you for the review.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My daughter told me about Vivint Solar. We had solar energy services in her old home and we were gonna put it in the new house. It was a simple process to sign up with Vivint Solar. The rep came to the house and he was informative. We went through the process step-by-step. The project went well and it was completed in quick time. The installation was good and the solar energy system was put in as I requested. They installed it in the west side of the roof of the auxiliary garage. They got the panels placed and everything is good. Both the Edison and the County Clary inspections were done. The solar energy system was up and running shortly after it was installed. It was an easy process and with the expenditure, we got value for the money. We had a good, positive experience with Vivint Solar. We're happy with our decision to go solar. It cuts down on our monthly electric bill, which is now less than what our electric bill was before we went solar.

Vivint Solar response

Robert. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The cost and the difference with my electricity bill made me look into solar energy services. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was easy and we received guidance from the sales rep. The people there have been very professional. So far, we're well satisfied with our decision to go solar.

Vivint Solar response

Rae, we are excited to have you going solar with us! Thank you for leaving a review.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I work for a parks department so I like going green. So, I looked into solar energy services and enrolling with Vivint Solar was an easy process and experience. The gentlemen there were all nice. Whenever I called customer service or they called me, it was excellent. The crew that came to do the installation was excellent as well. They knew what they were doing and they wanted to satisfy me. I'm satisfied with my decision to go solar. It has meant using less energy from the electric plant and we don't have to use the fuel to make energy. It has been a good experience with Vivint Solar. People should get them to cut down on their use of electricity.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Richard, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

The #2 residential solar installer in the United States, Vivint Solar is a public solar company that launched in 2011.

• Combined services: Vivint offers various home services such as security and automation systems, so you can bundle solar with these products through Vivint at the same time.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Solar panel flexibility: Vivint Solar isn’t tied to any particular solar panel provider, so it’s able to adapt to changes in the market and provide customers with a wide variety of options.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing or PPA customers and solar beginners.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information