2. Solar Energy
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront; generating electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Video
Vivint Solar Gallery (6)
View More View More

Vivint Solar Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The State of Massachusetts gives you a check and Mass Save gives you a check if you go solar. So, it doesn't matter what your tax status is. But the federal government, which gives you the biggest amount of money for going solar, gives you a tax credit and that is naturally only good if you trigger having to pay federal taxes. If you don't have to pay federal taxes because you're retired and you haven't enough things to claim between medical and mortgages, you don't trigger any taxes, so you can't use the credit. So, that's a real bummer and that's one thing I don't like. I would have bought my own panels because then I could've, by now, paid them all off and I'd be getting money from what the panels make.

But as far as Vivint goes, it was a better solution for me to have them put the panels up. And they own them. Now I just have a fixed rate for my power, and when you're retired, it's nice to know that it's pretty much fixed for budget purposes. My bill can go 2.5% percent a year, but they haven't really gone up that much at all. Recently, the state has allowed the solar companies to add more of solar power on the electric. It would go to about 80% to 90% of your total annual usage and they let you use more. So, Vivint came this last June and July, and they put up nine more panels on my house. I had the other ones on the garage, so they had more room to put more panels on the house.

The local part of Vivint was very good and the contractors did very good work. They were prompt as well and came when they said they were gonna come. The quality of the panels is 5-star, too. But I've had a little bit of a problem with their main office out in Utah. When you deal with them out there, you're dealing with people that seem to be Hispanic mostly and some of their accents are very hard to pick up. They talk a little quick as well and when they called, my wife transferred the phone to me. I was able to slow the person down a wee bit and get through the accent. But they were polite and professional.

Still, the Utah Main Office out there is slow and it took a long time for them to get things done. When they needed to add nine more panels on my house, I got that approval back in April of 2019. But the panels didn't go on until about July. It was probably because I had to fix my roof though. I had some shingles that were loose and I had to fix that, so that was not their problem. But then they came right up in July. They put the panels up and they were done. But I never was able to turn these panels on until December because of paperwork.

The paperwork delayed things between the main office of Vivint and whoever they were dealing with, which could be the state, local agencies, or National Grid. But whoever they were dealing with, they were working on a snail's pace and that shouldn't take that long because when I put up my the first panels in 2015, it was much faster. When I met with the guy in July of 2014, they came up and put the panels up in January, and I had the panels turned on in January. But now, it took forever for the paperwork and the things to get them turned on.

My daughter and son ran through the same thing because they all have Vivint. And they said it took six months after the panels were installed to get them turned on so they could use them. When I called and asked Vivint what was going on, I didn't get a return call or an email from them. So, when I didn't get any information back from Vivint in Utah, then I had to blame them because they were not communicating with me to tell me what the delay was for.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Richard. We are glad to hear that you have had a great experience going solar with us. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I was outside one day and a Vivint Solar gentleman was going through the neighborhood. This is the second time they came through. They had come through two years before, did the whole thing, gave me the plans for the house, went through the house and I was all for it. And then, they wanted the plans for the house and I didn’t have them. I had no idea where they were. I couldn’t find them. They said, “Oh, that’s not a problem. We’ll send it through the county for you.” Then all of a sudden, they didn’t wanna pay for the plans for the house. And I just never heard from them again. That really made me mad.

When the salesman came by the second time two years later, I complained all that to him. First, I shooed him away, but the guy was so nice. He worked out and I was at the gym, and we had something in common. I invited him back. We sat down and talked, then I just told him why I shooed him away because I had a bad taste in my mouth from what they did before. They had everything set up, and then they just never contacted me again. They gave me the plans where the panels were gonna be. They gave me the drawings. I was just waiting for the date that they were gonna install everything, and I just never heard from them. They never even came by. And I thought that was very poor. But this time, the salesman came back twice and talked to me. If it weren’t for him, I probably wouldn’t have done it. Because the way he explained everything and broke everything down, that was what really sold me.

Apparently, they had a different management. Back then, they wouldn’t rent the panels. You had to buy them. Now, they let you rent the panels. I’m retired now and my wife is the only one working. If I was still working today, I would’ve probably ended up buying them. But right now, the finances in this household is different ever since I retired. So, there is no way I was putting out that kind of money to buy them. And they do things different now, so that was why I went ahead and did it this time around. They’ve been very nice. The installers were very nice people. They came out and showed me how to turn on the system. If I didn’t know how to turn the system, I’d call them and the gentleman will come out. It has been a pleasant experience. I turned it on some time late October and I only got one bill, so far. My gas and electric bill went from $358 a month down to $158 a month. It has been a pleasant experience all the way around.

Their customer service got a nice app. They showed me to put on my phone and it was cool. You got a read out of what you’re bringing in from the solar panels daily. I only had to call one time, when they kept calling my wife at work. She’s a nurse and she can’t be bothered at work. So, I had to call and say, “You send me all the emails. You call my home when you need something." But they only talk to me when they set all this stuff up. So far, we got that straightened out. Now, I’m authorized if they call to talk.

I was very suspicious with how this was gonna work out, how much savings we were gonna get because you’re not buying the panels. But if anybody has any second thoughts about it, I would go ahead and do it. I can show them proof of my gas and electric bill, how much we’re saving. It’s definitely worth it. This house was built 1975 and I was worried about the extra weight on the roof. It wasn’t built for solar panels to go on there. But the guy had me lift up a solar panel and it was so light. They made me feel good about how light they were when they installed it.

They showed me everything and worked with me. They told me that, “Any time you wanna cancel the installation while we’re doing it, tell me. We’ll stop work right then and there.” They knew I was paranoid about it. But the guys that installed the panels were fantastic. They just walked me through the whole thing, which I thought was very nice on their part, because they were here doing my roof from early in the morning till dark. Other crews came over to help them finish and a guy even asked me, “Is it okay if we put the box here? Is it okay if we put this line here? Do you like the way this looks? We can do it this way if you like it looking better this way. We can run it this way if you like it. We can hide it behind here if you like.” Other people just wanna do it the easiest way. But he cared how it looked, if I was pleased with it. The customer service and the installers were outstanding.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Charles! It sounds like your initial experience with us was a positive experience but you may still have some questions. Feel free to email us at online-reviews@vivintsolar.com with your address and any potential questions or concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: May 25, 2019

My neighbor across the street put solar in his house. Then when we were out in the front yard, I queried him about who he got it from and how much it costed him. He told me about Vivint Solar and that it cost him nothing. I still didn't quite understand how it worked. Then Ryan, a freelancer that represented a couple of different companies, showed up at my door and was selling Vivint Solar. I began talking to him about that and the deal where there would be no out-of-pocket expense appealed to me.

We went through the process. There are certain conditions that a client has to meet and an agreement to sign in order to sign up for the deal. It took at least three months for them to design the system and send somebody to come out and survey it. Then it took two trips for that because the guy had an equipment problem. We finally got around to deal to where I qualified and I was interested. So we signed all the papers and they came out with a crew of three people and installed the system. The permitting process took some time. There was initial permitting through the local power company and then another one from the county billing inspection department. Finally, we got through that. And it has been working for two months now.

There's only two living in my house, the wife and I. And Vivint Solar determined that the 13 panels would produce enough power for the two of us. The solar system doesn't work at night, so we use the local power. Then in the daytime, it produces more power that we use and it goes into a bank and the power company keeps a record of that. Then you build up credit over time, which is used against what you use from them and they balance it out. The first month's bill was great. I owed the power company $6.86 but I owed Vivint Solar $54. It was about $60 in total. On an average, my bill at the time was $93. So that's about $30 a month in reduction on what I was paying for the power. I still have a bill from the local power company, but it's more about records and the amount of power that's being generated and used.

I love Ryan because he is a neighborhood kid. He went to high school here three blocks down the street. One time, he told me that he was gonna come and show me how to hook that system into my computer so I could monitor its performance and activities. But he has never done that. He said he was gonna do it a couple of times, but he never did. Also, my neighbor next door to me is interested and the guy hasn't come back and contacted him. I'm dissatisfied that they haven't gotten back to me. I'm not getting a response to this business of getting in touch with the people that I know that would be interested in this program. There's not enough follow-up.

In addition to not hearing from Ryan, I haven't heard much from Vivint Solar. There are so many agencies involved and that's the reason it takes as long as it takes. So the follow-up with all these activities that have to happen, Vivint Solar doesn't have any control over. They're patient, but the client is not too patient. And I don't understand why it takes so long.

I also would like to see an organized company in uniform or at least in a uniform shirt that says Vivint Solar on it. They came out here and got blue jeans and cowboy boots. Also, the vehicles that they come out in don't have Vivint on the side so that neighbors can see what company it is. Vivint has a product that they should be proud of, and their workers should be proud to work for them. But to date, I'm satisfied with the cost and the payment result with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Johnny, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that Ryan took good care of you. Thanks for going solar with us!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve been researching solar for 20 years and noticing that for small houses often where I live, there’s not a lot of roof area. It’s a little house and solar really didn’t put up enough power. Then more recently, the technology has improved enough that now, it does. I have an associate that I work with, and he bought a house recently in Los Angeles where there’s a bigger house and a lot of sun. The house came with solar as part of a mandated thing that the housing tract had to do. And so, another guy and I were watching his bill being a negative number occasionally or very low, and our bills were higher. So, that kind of got us started again.

So, I did review the research again to see that now, the solar panels are putting up more power. And so, I contacted several different companies, got various stories on incentives and odds and ends and different people that seem pushy, and salesmen who didn’t seem to know what they were talking about. And out of all of those, one of them was Vivint, and they seemed to be much more straightforward and knowledgeable. They also had the best incentive. I was able to get a friend in Phoenix on board, so both of us are supposed to get 500 bucks.

Another big determining factor was the fact that with prior solar things, one has to finance and pay, and they’d tell you, “Oh, It’ll amortized soon. And soon, it will be worth it.” With Vivint, you don’t pay anything. It’s free. They maintain and monitor it. They install it, too. My roof was in good shape so I could just go ahead and do that. I have zero out of pocket expenses to put the thing there. Both the guys at Vivint Solar that I talked to on the phone, sales and coordinator types, and the workers that came out, were all very professional. There wasn’t a lot of BS and they were polite.

PG&E supplies my power in California. When I got my first bill, it was in the middle of the month probably because the new system has started, so the prior month, it was like 200 bucks for PG&E, and then all of a sudden, it was 50 bucks. That sounds great but it was in the middle of the month and it had so many bizarre terms and odds and ends and taxes and adjustments, and this and that, that I really couldn’t say what it’s going to be like. Plus, under the new system, I’m supposed to be paying Vivint a certain amount every month. I’m buying the power from them and then pass the certain amount that they will charge. PG&E will charge the difference. And there are different other factors that one never would have thought of that they got in them like taxation and all kind of stuff that plays into these things that makes it ridiculously complicated.

And then they make reference on the PG&E bill until the end of the year to adjust the profit. Normally, you just pay for power. In this case, you’re putting power back into the grid, so that they’ll profit from that, and then the loss from what you use over and above that. And that’s constantly monitored, adjusted and regulated. So, whether this is worth it and by how much, it’ll probably take a year at least to see how it all plays out.

Out in California, we’ve had a lot of big fires. And everybody is pointing at whoever might have the pocket, whether they have it or not. And it may prove that the biggest advantage of going solar is to escape PG&E’s rate increase after the fires. Overall, everything with Vivint Solar so far has been fine. I wish I could see in the future, a year from now or two, what the real difference is because Vivint is gonna raise their rates a couple of percent every year.

Vivint Solar response

Hello Ron, we are happy to hear that after such extensive research, you choose to go with Vivint Solar. We are excited for you to see the savings. Thank you for leaving us a review! And thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Right now, the solar is not saving me any money. I’m paying two bills – the electric bill and the solar bill. The solar bill is not that large right now. But I’m still paying the electric bill so I really don't see the difference. As soon as Vivint put the solar in, they told me I could turn it on and it wasn’t hard to turn on. I thought that as soon as you got the solar, your electric bill would go away and you’d just pay their taxes, maybe $30, then you would pay your solar bill, whatever it was monthly. But that’s not what it is. It’s like you’re waiting on the energy from the sun to come to give you that credit. And if you don’t have enough, then you’re paying two bills.

Right now, I'm paying 50-something with solar and then another 170-something with my electric company. So I’m paying more. I thought since it's just me in my house, I was gonna be paying less than $200. I don’t know if the bill is gonna even out down the line but right now, it seems like I’m paying more out of my pocket. I called the company and they gave me to their solar department, and the rep said I probably wouldn't see a difference for a minute. I also talked to people here and four around my neighborhood has solar. I have a couple of co-workers as well. They said it would take a minute before I even see the difference and that I will continue to have a bill with APS. When people at Vivint Solar make their presentation, they need to let people know upfront that they will not see a difference in their electric bill until they have at least six months to a year and that they will always keep their electric bill.

I called Vivint Solar twice to get an understanding of the system but the lady I spoke with didn’t even know if I was with a program. I'm leasing but I guess they've got purchasing and leasing, and she was confused. Even though I gave her my information, she gave me the wrong information. Then she came back and said she wasn't really sure so I just disregarded it. Then the last time I spoke to someone, I was trying to figure out how the bill comes out. I thought I had set it up for direct debit, which I did, but I couldn't tell. I told the rep that I was on the system and she told me where I needed to go and what boxes I needed to click. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have known to go and pull that up.

The enrollment process with Vivint was simple. I was accepted into a program then they did everything for me. I met the qualifications and it just rolled on in. The next thing I knew, they were putting the solar panels up. They told me what I needed to do and I had to be at the house when they came and put the solar up. The person who was directing the installation told me everything that was gonna happen. He very knowledgeable, and he explained it to me step-by-step and what to look for. He was excellent. I work from home from time to time though, and it was a little noisy. But that was to be expected because they were on top of my roof. And other than that, the team was fast. I don't even think it took four hours. They did what they needed to do and they were really good.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Madelyn, We love hearing that the sales representative and our operations team did a great job! We're happy you decided to go solar with us. If you have any additional concerns or questions feel free to email us. Thank you for leaving your feedback!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

A Vivint Solar salesman came and talked to me at my house. And the cheaper electricity made me decide to go solar. The enrollment and getting the panels put on was great. My solar panels were installed towards the end of August and it was a long time after that before they got approved or not by Nevada Power. The installers should know that they can’t put the panel behind the fence, although they did. They fixed it but they left big holes with white putty on my wall and my house is red. I talked to one of the installers and they said they were gonna fix me up, but I have heard absolutely nothing back from them. So, I’m not all that happy with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for bringing this to your attention, David. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience with us. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I was approached by someone from Vivint Solar at Home Depot. We wanted to go green, to help the environment and to save money on my power bill so we signed up with them. The reps I spoke with were all great. They did a great job so I'm very happy with them. So far, I've noticed that my power bill went down. I would highly recommend them.

Vivint Solar response

This is awesome, Halina! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. I knew all about solar. It was something that I always wanted to get into and I'm trying to get my entire family and a lot of different friends to go down that road, to get solar. I tried the energy, the grid and trying to reduce the pressure and the whole going green. A sales guy from Vivint was going through in my neighborhood, generally speaking, trying to get people to pay attention to solar. I saw him and he came by at the right time, expressing to me about solar energy. He talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nice person to deal with that was why I decided to go with him.

I told him to give me two days to think about it. I looked up the company and made sure everything was legit on what he was saying. I invited him back and he came. I’m a very straightforward person, so I need to know the facts, how’s it gonna be. Don’t tell me it’s gonna be for two weeks and it’s for six months. You tell me exactly what it's gonna take, when it’s gonna take, and he did that. I realized, during the course of what he was explaining to me, I believed in what he was saying. Every part he explained to me was legit and true. He explained if certain steps are not met, I would not be able to get it, and I understood that. He said if the house was not ready for that, as far as the city requirements, that was out of his hands. He really made that totally clear to me. And the timing was not gonna be a month thing. So, I had no problem with the general timing of what everything took.

Another thing Vivint did was they emailed me and told me every process, and they invited me to talk to anybody and call if I have any question with anything. I actually felt comfortable to do that. I didn’t have to call to do it because I really understood what was going on. They also gave me the website so I could do my thing on my own. It was very clear.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We recently bought our house, which was contracted with Vivint Solar. Solar energy services saves money, which made me interested on it. The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what was given. I’m very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Gaonou! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

A gentleman from Vivint came to the door. He was down-to-earth and we liked his way of talking to us. So far, my decision to go solar has been good although it took three months to get active due to the paperwork not being right. But if there was something that needed to be done, the reps came out and got it done, such as the painting of the conduits. We have other companies here that put other systems in for people, and I didn’t like their systems because they were too big. Ours is a nice, small system and you don’t see it on the side of the house. They put it where we wanted it, and then they painted everything like it was supposed to be. Once the system is up there and running, I just ignore it until the bill comes in. When the bill came in this time, I was a little confused by it, so we ended up calling the customer service at Vivint Solar to understand why we weren’t being charged anything and there was a minus on it. So, that made us happy.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Larry! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

This company offers solar panels and a product line of solar batteries, powerful chargers and smart home apps to customers in 22 states. Plans include solar purchase, solar loan, solar power purchase agreement (PPA) and solar lease.>

• Solar panels: Vivint Solar offers polycrystalline panels for those looking to save money and monocrystalline panels for greater efficiency.

• Combined services: The process involves consultation, design, permitting, installation and activation. The company has partnered with LG Chem that provides batteries with an energy capacity of 9.8 kWh and warranty of 10 years. They are wall-mounted, noiseless and touch-safe.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information