toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vivint Solar

Hi, Janice. We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Everyone involved in Vivint has been absolutely wonderful in getting my solar up and running. The staff are professional and efficient, despite working for two days in the awful 110+ degree heat. I am pleased with this company and will definitely refer anyone I know that wants to go Solar. Thank you again.

Vivint Solar

Thank you, Joel! We love hearing that you are pleased with your decision and would recommend us to your family and friends. We appreciate the review and thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: June 3, 2016

My experience with Vivint Solar has been very smooth so far. Our rep, Sandy **, was very kind and thorough. Being an elderly couple, We were skeptical in the beginning. We didn't know much about the solar or different programs and she took the time to explain to us in a way that was very easy to understand. She was honest, upfront and clear about any concerns that we had. She was very patient with us and was always there to pick up when we called her. She even provided us with local references for us to call. We called all 3 and all 3 had wonderful things to say about their system, savings and the service of Vivint Solar. Our time to installation took one month and she got us moving forward quickly. The installers took less than 5 hours to complete about 38 panels on our home. Being retired, we are always looking for ways to save money so this made much sense. My wife and I are happy and will recommend them to our family and friends.

My neighbor has solar energy and he is the chief electrician of our local hospital, so I thought I should look into solar energy if he thought that was a good idea. I had already spent two hours speaking to him about the benefits of solar energy when Jimmy, a Vivint Solar rep, came along and it was just the right time. Jimmy was absolutely wonderful and very personable. He explained in as much detail as I asked and there was no pressure at all. I got a contract from Jimmy and he even came back three times to see how we were doing with the process, which was an easy thing.

I emailed the contract to my neighbor and he read through it for me, and he said that it sounded too good to be true. He is currently leasing and now he’s sorry that he’s not with Vivint Solar, and he said that when his contract with the lease is up, he might consider going with them too. Then he talked to his neighbors who recently got Vivint and told them about my experience with Vivint Solar and what a good deal I had with them. My new neighbor across the street also asked me about my solar energy service and she’s very interested in it, and I gave her Jimmy’s card. I've had a very easy and wonderful experience with Vivint Solar and even if going solar doesn’t reap me financial rewards, saving the earth is already a benefit.

My experience with Vivint Solar has been a mixed bag. Of course when they were trying to make a sale they were very responsive to me but after the installation was complete not so much. The two biggest issues I have are with the size of the system they sold me on and the company they set you up with to finance. I had lots of back and forth with my sales person about the size of the unit they were installing and in the end I trusted the salesman which in the end was a mistake. I now produce quite a bit more power than I use and I just have to give it to the power company for nothing while I pay for the larger system. It is really disheartening that I must now continue to pay for this larger system because I trusted the company to do the right thing when selling it to me and they were not honest about the output.

One of the main items the sales person kept pointing out was how accurate they were at estimating how much output I would get. The other problem I have with Vivint is the company that they have partnered with to finance the solar panels and that is Mosaic. I have had the system about 6 months now and they have already made two mistakes with my payments. The first payment I made they withdrew twice and refused to return my money and I had to file a fraud claim with my bank to get a refund which cost me out of pocket to do so.

The second problem I had was apparently I paid my bill too early (about 20 days before the due date) which, according to them, does not count towards my normal monthly payment so I had to make another payment on the due date. I was again told that they can not refund the payment so I am out an extra payment for the time being. Overall my experience with Vivint Solar has not been that great and I would not recommend them. All I was trying to do is do what is best for the environment by getting solar power and instead I believe I was slightly duped by a company and a sales person who knew that.

Vivint Solar

Hi Dean, We know that the solar process can be long, but we're glad you were happy with the updates and communication you received throughout that time. Thank you for going green with us!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Vivint Solar’s representatives came over and started talking. Everybody else is going that way, so I gave it a shot. So far, it is okay. We didn’t have to put out money so that’s one good thing about it and we didn’t have any problem when we enrolled with them. The customer service at Vivint Solar would send us emails or give us a call every now and then to tell us what was going on and how close they were. They kept in touch with us. It took forever for the electric company to make their mind up. So, we were a good two months with it up sitting on the roof and we weren't hooked up yet. This will be our first month full solar because our last bill was only half. I've recommended them to several other people so he had been in contact with them. Everybody's talking about it.

Customer Service is terrible. System went down & took them 2 months to get it back up in running. Technicians would arrive without proper parts. Was billed for months that system was down & received a refund for part of the time it was down. Am still trying to get refund for last month. Was told on 8/1 that it was being processed but last night agent saw no sign of credit being processed. Sold house in end of June & just received a bill for July. Called customer service Billing & was transferred to Transfers. They could see the account had transferred & sent me to Fleet. Fleet sent me back to Billing who sent me back to Fleet. Was told it would be processed but have been told this before.

We’ve always wanted to do solar but we knew how expensive it was and we couldn’t afford it. A guy from Vivint went around the neighborhood and I found out about them. They’re very professional, hands on. They were also nice, very caring and they always check back and forth. It was pretty cool. We didn't have to do much during the enrollment process too. We signed a few papers and he explained it to us. It was pretty good. And now that we have it, people stop, look and ask questions. We're very satisfied and excited about our service. Overall it’s been a great and educational experience. I’m just glad that we’re able to get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

My electric bill was just too high. I was torn up in paying $300 to $400 electric bill. My solar with Vivint was turned on about a month ago and now, I'm still waiting for them to repair my drywall in the garage where they put the box in. Other than that, so far, so good. The enrolment was not difficult but it was a bit lengthy. I got in touch with their customer service to review my contract and I was given basic information. I am also in the transition to clear out the whole bill. I had the solar on in my second period and this month will tell the tale.

Vivint Solar

Hi Joe, We're happy that one of our solar options could suit your needs. Thanks for being a Vivint Solar customer!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

The company I work for, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, raised their rates on March 1st and I wasn’t going to pay the exorbitant prices where it comes to using my air conditioner. So I looked into getting solar energy services and I'm very satisfied with that decision. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was a wonderful experience. Adam came to my house and explained all my options to me. I went with buying the whole system and when we set up a date for them to install, they four guys came out and got it all installed in one day. Everything was great. I then shared my experience with a friend of mine, and he had it done too. For that, Vivint gave me a couple hundred bucks cash back so that was pretty cool.

Vivint Solar

Hi Nancy, We apologize for the difficulty in getting your panels removed and for the communication issues. Our records show that you asked not to be contacted until after August 5. We apologize if that was a miscommunication on our end. We are seeing that Michelle had contacted and spoke to you after that. If you have any further difficulty with communication or if any other issues arise, please feel free to message us, email socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, or call into our corporate office. Thank you for providing your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

There are two problems. First problem was a safety issue. Vivint Solar owns the panels on our house, was not willing to make them safe by installing snow guards (people could have been injured coming up our front stairs from a massive amount of snow falling on them), Vivint gave us the run around about installing the snow guards, told us we could not hire someone else to install them, said that they would not be liable if someone were hurt from falling snow, What kind of a situation does this put us in??? We finally paid $533 to buy the snow guards and finally Vivint installed them. The Utah and Massachusetts offices of Vivint did not seem to communicate with one another very well. We are very disappointed that they would not pay for the snow guards nor did they seem to care about people being injured.

Second issue. We are having construction done on our roof. We are having a very difficult time getting Vivint to remove the panels for our construction. The sales person told us that it would be "easy" if we ever need roof work done, that we call Vivint, pay them $500 and they remove the panels. After the roof work is done, Vivint puts the panels back. It has been not one bit easy. At the end of May we sent Vivint the drawings for the addition to our house. The Vivint person we sent them to never forwarded the drawings to the correct person. No one at Vivint told us that we were supposed to be sent an invoice for $500 before we could schedule removal of the panels. Six weeks later, Vivint finally tells us that we need to pay an invoice of $500. We wait 2 hours on the phone with the billing department to pay them $500.

They say that after we pay the $500 we will be able to schedule removal of the panels. Two hours after we finally pay the $500 we get an invoice saying that we have to pay another $250 for a redesign of the panels on the new roof before we can schedule the removal of the panels. Why weren't we told this before??? We are willing to pay them anything. We contact them almost 2 months in advance to have this all taken care of and they do nothing until we CALL and CALL to try to get the panels taken off our roof. We keep getting a different story from different people in the company. We are told our contractor cannot remove these panels from our roof but we cannot get Vivint to schedule a date to remove the panels so we can have work done on our house.

After we finally got them to schedule removal of the panels so we could have work done on our roof - 3 agonizing hours on the phone with them mostly on hold and carefully telling at least 3 people at the company the instructions about the panel removal (we even asked each person to repeat the work order to us) - they came and removed the wrong panels from our roof. After we sent a complaint to the Utah Better Business Bureau we made plans to discuss our many, many problems with Vivint with a manager named Michelle. We sent her 3 emails and left one phone message and have not heard back from her. I can't believe that we still have 18 years left in our contract with this company. This is like a marriage gone horribly and we can't get out of it. It's a nightmare.

Vivint Solar

We're glad to hear you're happy with your decision to go solar with us, Kathleen! Thanks for your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have a very excellent experience with Vivint Solar. I was looking for something cheaper so I looked into solar energy services. The idea that I didn’t have to pay for this since I don't own the home so there's no fee to it made it easy for me to make that decision. Enrolling with Vivint Solar was just fine. It was a pretty easy process and my interaction with the customer service is very good. They answered all my questions. So far, I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

A Vivint Solar rep came to my door and I decided to go with them otherwise, I wasn’t interested in going solar since my water bill was worse than my electrical bill. Nonetheless, it was very easy enrolling with them and their customer service is very good. So far, I'm happy with my decision. It was convenient and I'd recommend them.

Vivint Solar

Hi Vickie, We know the solar process can be a lengthy one and appreciate your patience during that time. Our records show that you received permission to operate on June 16. If you have any questions or unaddressed concerns, please reach out to us via private message, by emailing socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, or calling our customer service team. Again thank you for your patience and choosing us as your solar provider!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We had solar water at our previous house and I wanted to take advantage of the benefits of solar energy. We signed up for Vivint Solar in March and only finally went solar on June 8th. They had to upgrade my electrical panel and they left it looking like crap, and I’m not happy about that. Although, in their defense, we did tell them, "Okay, yeah. You don't have to worry about painting. We're going to paint the house anyway." Also, I have wax siding in my house and they had a telephone line coming out. They didn't even use those little U-shaped clips to clip them to the house so they were just flopping. My husband fixed it but to leave somebody's home in that shape, I was mortified.

Enrolling with Vivint Solar was very easy but after we had the panel upgraded and the solar panels installed, it was an unbelievably long period of time for us to be able to turn it on. They kept saying, "It needs to go through our final process." I said, "You know what? Take my file out from the bottom of the stack and put it on the top of the stack." Communication was not their strong suit. But every time I called customer service, they were absolutely wonderful. They were very nice and they understood my frustration. The door-to-door salesman was very nice and pleasant, Johnny-on-the-spot with answers but when I tried to get in touch to ask him what's going on and why can't we speed up the process so I can get my solar turned on, he never answered my phone calls. I haven’t gotten my bill yet but my experience was totally adequate.

Vivint Solar

We're sorry to hear about your billing issue, Luis. We'd like to make sure this gets resolved for you. Can you please send your address either via private message or by emailing socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, so we can make sure to handle this in a timely manner? Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I was paying too high of a bill to Duke Energy. Sometimes it was $240, $250, $260, or more. Also, we ran out of power a lot of times. Something happened and everything shut off. With solar energy, I figured it might be better and it would help the environment. I've been with Vivint since June of this year. I was told that I was supposed to pay Vivint or the company that finances $184 a month plus about $7 to Duke Energy for the meter. After a little over a month of having Vivint, I got a deal from Duke Energy of $329 and I called to find out what happened. They said that the solar panel wasn't working. The salesman from Vivint came, checked, and said something was wrong and it wasn't producing any power. That time, I had to go and when I came back, the system was shut off. I haven't been told what happened and what's going to be done.

Although the experience is not that good now, everybody was good. Everything was done right except that the system didn't work. I was told that if somebody messed up, Vivint is going to be responsible for the bill and I don't have to worry much about it. If they find what was done wrong, they could fix it and make sure that when they do their installation somewhere else, it doesn't happen and the customer will be happy. I have Vivint's sign in the front of my house and some people have told me that they are going to order the panels because I have that sign.

Vivint Solar

Hi Steven, We're glad to hear that Jane is looking into your concern with your bill. If for any reason you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via private message or emailing socialmedia@vivintsolar.com. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I chose Vivint Solar over everyone else because of the size of the company and they do more than just solar. There are always new startups out there but my warranty is for 20 years, this is a very long process and I doubt that half of these people will even be here in 20 years. Enrollment with Vivint Solar went easy. I dealt with a gentleman and he had a lady named Jane that helped him. Both of them were very good but Jane was absolutely wonderful. She was one of those people that you can call Johnny on-the-spot. You call her and she’s right back at you. There’s no waiting. She did a good job there.

But we had a problem when it first got set up. They came out and installed the system, they had a quality crew come out to double check everything and then the city official came out and said that it’s not right. The problem was that they didn't put rods in the ground. I was a little put off that it wasn’t installed right in the first place and then the quality crew missed it as well.

And I’m still a little bit leery about the fact that I got a bill an hour ago and to me it seemed too high. I sent it to Jane and she's looking to see if it's correct. I understood that my power bill was going to go away. It’s usually at least $76. But so far it has been a good decision to go solar. Everybody's been very courteous. I was told a lot of things upfront and they’ve done everything they said they’d do.

Vivint Solar

Hi Vincenzo, We're sorry to hear about the damage that was done to your home. Our team working hard to fix the damages that you're experiencing. Based on your case, it looks like we are just waiting for your final approval. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message, emailing socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, or calling into our corporate office if you have any unaddressed questions or concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Roof Leak! This most likely has been happening for about a year, noticed it now... 2 months in still no resolution. Started with water marks in the bedroom ceiling 1, 2, 3, then leaks #s 4 and 5 appeared in my wife's closet. They sent out a tech who tightened a few bolts. Thought it was good. Stains got bigger. Now we see mold. My wife has Cystic Fibrosis. This is a deadly mix. Fast forward a few weeks later, electrical support wire ripped out of the joist leaving a huge hole in the soffit. I called the electric company still thinking it was all chance... They said the only reason this happens is due to rafter rot... Huh? Guess what a few days later heavy rains and now I have water pouring out of my high hat lights and a big leak and finally a hole in the kitchen ceiling.

Guess what. A squirrel climbs into the hole in my soffit and nests giving birth in my ceiling. Now I have water, mold, feces and urine over my bed... Did I tell you my wife has CF...a breathing disease? I had an wildlife crew come to get the critters out. Paid a window guy to caulk around my windows still not realizing it was the solar panels yet. Shame on me. My guy goes up on the roof...and sees the shingles are all smashed from the installation. Instead of the water running off it is pooling and soaking through and running between the siding. Soooo now we have an answer.

The solar company sends over a roofer, he recommends fixing all 3 locations, not just the one. Shingles will never match. They tell me they should never have put the panels on the roof. This will be the 5th person to tell me that, 2 from their company as well. They tell me to research another company since they don't like his work anymore. I get one. This guy is good. He hits on things the 1st guy misses such as fixing kitchen mess, mold remediation, electric wire placed back, fixing the rotted out beam, a dumpster for the trash, insulation replaced, etc. They thought his cost was too much. They now want me to use the guy they thought was inadequate... LOL. I sent them articles on mold and its effects on Cystic Fibrosis, told them I would get a lawyer from the CF foundation.

Back and forth for 2 months and we are at an impasse. They want me to settle on the cheaper price from the guy they deemed inadequate who missed a ton of damages... LOL. I want them to do the right thing and replace all 3 portions of roof since 5 people told me the roof was too old to support it anyway. Again 2 were from their own company. The only person who said it was in great conditions with at least another 12 years of life was the shyster sales guy. Did I mention they took the panels down and are still charging me the monthly fee? I feel like I was lied to in order to get these panels on my roof. In NJ there is a push for solar. I wish I never let them in my house. Shame on you Vivint. Do the right thing. At this point after all the missed days of work, money spent and aggravation I should get a whole new roof from them.

Vivint Solar

Hi Sandra, We're so happy to hear that you're saving more than you were expecting and had a great experience with our sales, installation, and customer service teams. Thank you for going green and choosing Vivint Solar!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I had been interested in solar because it's electricity-generating without the adverse effects of burning coal and it just made sense. Then, a salesman from Vivint Solar came by and he was pleasant and not pushy. The first time they came to install, the electrician said there wasn't room to put in whatever was needed. The people on the truck had unloaded everything so they loaded it all back up and left. Then, my salesperson said there was someone that he wanted to come out to see whether this could be done. The guy came a day early and said that it could be done. He said he'll talk to the electrician who's coming out and the crew came out the following day. The electrician went down and he checked that it was all right to go through the boards I have lining the basement. Then, they started working on putting it up.

They're the best work crew I have ever seen. They were friendly and they would stop and talk if you asked them something but mostly, they just worked. I have 41 panels on my roof. The guy went through and they tossed things on the ground, very carefully picking all the little odds and ends up. I found a total of two they missed but it was 93 degrees so I can't say they were doing it in perfect conditions. But there was a breeze and it was earlier so, it wasn't quite as humid. Also, they had plenty of water and I have a tree in my front yard so that if they really needed to, they could get down in the shades a little. It worked very well and they finished about 5:30 that evening.

They were saying it might take a while for the county to come out and it didn't take them as long but they said the inspector who came out was not the inspector they really like. That one always finds something but he couldn't find anything wrong with it so that was okay. Also, BGE came out pretty quickly and I was online a whole lot faster than I expected to be. I also found that the panels seem to insulate a bit so that my air conditioner is not running all the time. So it's double energy saving and I'm having lower bills than I was expecting.

I don't fault Vivint for having the very first electrician who came out not having the ability to see what could be done because the second one knew exactly what to do and did it beautifully. Sometimes, the people you hire have not had as much experience as others and that was corrected so quickly and much sooner than I had hoped for. Also, there was no problem getting an answer from their customer service when I called about something I wanted to know. It's not terribly expensive, and I'm getting more savings than I expected.

Vivint Solar

Hi Greg, We'd like to make sure that you have all of the necessary information that you need. Can you please send us your address in a private message, so we can have someone reach out to you? Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We were looking at the tax benefits of using solar energy and we spent so much on cooling our home during the summer here in South Carolina because of the heat, so we wanted to see if there was another way. My wife had Vivint contact her and enrolling with them went well. We had a new roof put on and then we had the panels installed and it seems like the panels are doing their job up there. The house is staying cooler, so they're absorbing most of the heat that's coming down or reflecting it, and so far so good. Overall, my experience with them has been very professional.

But my biggest concern thus far is trying to reach them. Number one because we did a direct withdrawal from our checking and I haven't received a statement yet from my bank. I wanted to talk to Vivint to make sure. They said it was going to start in July and I spoke to them when it was installed. It was the end of June or beginning of July when everything went bad. Number two, my wife and I have separated and I am in the home in which the panels were put on, so I need to transfer it to my name. I was told we got to wait for the first billing cycle. But when I tried to call the number that I was given by some gentleman, I can't get through.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Tony did a great job explaining the program. The Sacramento install team was fast, efficient and kept us in the loop the whole time! We're excited to start buying cheaper energy and saving money. I'd recommend them. Pretty soon, SMUD will be switching to time of use and it doesn't make sense to buy more for power depending on what time you use it. Vivint just sells us power at one rate and it's awesome. No cost.

Vivint Solar

Hi Edward, We apologize for the length of time and difficulty you've experienced with relocating your panels. I've looked into your account and it appears that the relocation is underway once we set a date that works for both you and our installation team. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message, emailing socialmedia@vivintsolar.com, or calling into our corporate office if you have any unaddressed issues. Thank you.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I bought into the idea of solar. Who wouldn't want to pay 1/2 the cost of electricity each month? The problem is two fold. 1) When you go to sell your home nobody wants the home with solar (including the mortgage companies who have difficulty selling the mortgage with the solar attached to the home. The buyers consider it a hassle and the contract too complex to handle for 20 years. The only bids I have received are with the solar system removed. 2)When you request the system be moved (you can't buy the system out for 5 years), you get begin to work with the move team. Nobody took ownership of my request to get the system moved. It took 3 weeks and about 15 hours on the phone to finally get one person to take ownership. Two previous move agents did nothing.

Three weeks ago I requested to have the solar removed. My sales person had originally quoted the cost to move the system to my new home at around $2,500. The quote came in at $8,690. I was all set to pay the fee when the transfer dept called and stated that they might not want to transfer the system to my new home as it is their choice so I have to wait for a committee that only meets on Thursdays to approve the transfer. This is a total nightmare and the saga continues.

My sister-in-law and my brother got their solar panels up. They were talking about it when we went to visit them at their house. I’d seen some panels somewhere on their property. From what I heard from other people, it was costly in the past. I had some friends at work that paid up front or refinanced the installation. I then called Kyle, a Vivint Solar representative to give us an overall of the system. According to him, our bill shouldn’t be that high compared to what I was paying before. I’m hoping that this will happen for me so I'm waiting to get a full bill.

So far, it’s been okay except with the billing department. They misrepresented Kyle. He explained certain things like the way the process, the billing and how much I was going to be paying. When I contacted the billing department regarding some questions, they explained the opposite. So that was kind of misleading on their part.

I also spoke with Mack. He’s a manager and he said he was going to square things away with the billing department. They let me believe that what Kyle was telling me on the field wasn’t the truth. I was so confused that I was even thinking of canceling the contract. It’s not a very good impression the way things are being handled by the billing department. The only thing that I’m comfortable is what the representation that Kyle gave as far as what Vivint offers and how it would benefit me as a customer. Also, you don’t put money upfront for the system, the support that they do, and the work that they did is a great offer to me.

A friend of mine had Vivint Solar installed in her house so I also made the call to them. Evan made the appointment with me and came out. He was really, really good and made sure I understood everything by going over absolutely everything. It was in my language so that there wasn't any technical stuff. He was friendly, courteous, well-groomed and punctual. Also, customer service was wonderful. They kept me updated with emails, called me on the phone and also made sure I understood everything plus told me what the next step was. In addition, the guys that installed the system were absolutely marvelous. They respected me and my property that I can't say enough good stuff about them.

The only thing is we have had issues with my system because it's so big and I'm also having issues with the gas and electric company. But Vivint has been right beside me the whole time and they are handling things absolutely as promptly as they can. They told me what phone calls to make, who to contact and they followed up. I was never blinded by anything and they kept me informed, right along with them. I have never had a company work so well, hard and wonderful with communication. In the whole experience, I’m 1000% satisfied.

My energy bill was always so low that I didn't think it would pay, and Vivint Solar ended up being the best deal. I'm 70 years old and it wouldn't be cost-efficient for me to put solar on my roof myself. However, it only worked for about four days when I first turned it on and I've been without it ever since. They had to order a part for the inverter. But everybody was very professional from the young lady that came out and did the inspection to the installers. The customer service had stayed in contact as well. They've been able to answer my questions for the most part. I just wish that Monday would come fast 'cause that's when the guy is going to come out and fix it. I'd be very satisfied if it's working.

My friend Rene who works for Vivint Solar came to let me know about solar energy services and since I was already considering it then I jumped into doing it. The enrollment process was easy and the customer service has been great. I was very satisfied with going solar and the experience has been great and smooth. I’ve been recommending people to Vivint Solar.

Don ** and the others we have worked with at Vivint have been amazing! The customer service they provide is top notch. Don gave us his cell phone number and any time we reached out he responded immediately. We highly recommend them!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My suggestion to people thinking of going solar in summer, don't do it. Have them installed in the winter months so you will be up and running by spring and summer when you will get the most benefit from the sun. It seems as though the corporate office takes forever to finally have you turn the system on, and my system is an add-on so I already have a net meter installed. Had system installed 18 days ago, electrical 16 days ago. Don’t think they sent the paperwork to National Grid yet for the permission to operate. Only given 1 star because of the holdup on the permission to operate letter from national grid. They send the letter when they receive the request from VIVINT. Everyone I met in person were great, James **, the district sales manager, James the installer foreman, Gino the electrical inspector.

Vivint Solar

Hi Raymond, We're sorry to hear that your system is over producing. We want to get this resolved as quickly as possible. Someone will be reaching out to you shortly to continue the resolution process. Thank you.

Original review: July 26, 2017

After receiving proposals from 3 Solar companies, my fiance Michelle chose Vivint Solar's Purchase Power Agreement program for her house. The salesman, Jarrent **, stated the goal was to achieve 99% offset with solar production. In reviewing the historical use, we requested that summer of 2015 months be ignored as the house was seasonally rented, leading to exceptional use by the tenant. We advised the salesman to use summer 2013 and 2014 historical use. Basically, typical consumption was 9,000 kwh annually excepting the year with the summer rental when consumption increased to 11,250. Contracts were signed, permits obtained, system installed and put into service in June 2016. As with any PPA contracts, summer production/expenses to us were higher than our PSEG bills. This was expected and we awaited the winter months lack of production to balance out our bill.

Once production through March 2017 was evaluated, it became very clear the production from the system was going to dramatically outpace the actual use by nearly 60%. The result was an increase in our energy expenses not a decrease. In going back through the reams of documentation we received, we realized the system was designed to produce 11,250 kwh annually (more than 25% greater than historic use). In actuality, the system produced 14,400 kwh (more than 60% greater than historic use). We contacted our salesperson, who repeatedly attempted to tell us we didn't understand how solar PPA worked.

We then contacted the Customer Service Department at Vivint and began working with Braden **, the customer service representative. I provided Braden with detailed documentation of the historic use of the system as well as statistical analysis to prove the system as designed and installed was oversized. Braden stated he needed to forward to the "exceptions committee" for consideration. Our requests were simple - either credit or refund funds paid for the exceptional system production and reduce the capacity of the system for the future. We made it clear to both Jarret and Braden to communicate above that no further payments were authorized until this issue was resolved. We removed the Vivint as approved automatic payment from Michelle's checking account, but not before Vivint put through another payment. This payment was after our discussions with Vivint's representatives.

What has occurred since has been ongoing follow up phone calls. At first, Braden attempted to state the system was properly designed at 11,250 kwh, but he was stuck on how that system could produce 14,400 kwh. Finally last month, Braden verbally committed to shutting off the monitoring on 7 panels (thus eliminating the invoicing for the production of those 7 panels) and capping the annual production billing at 9,000 kwh. He stated we would be receiving documentation for this shortly, but to date, no documentation has been received. We have begun receiving collections phone calls and the collections people have no interest in reviewing the outstanding issues. I have spent hours on hold waiting to speak with "supervisors" and/or "managers" with this company and have never been able to get through to anyone with authority.

Two weeks ago, we requested a proposal to straight out purchase the system and never have to deal with Vivint again, but we have not received any proposal for this. Basically, based upon the design issues and production of the solar array, Vivint's staff is either incompetent and fraudulent. I recommend staying away from Vivint Solar at all costs. Their sole purpose seems to be selling contracts and quality/responsive customer service seems to not even be on their radar.

I wanted to work more on the direction of not being connected to the grid and I thought that having solar energy services was the first step. I liked the idea of solar energy and I've been toying with it for a number of years but enrolling with Vivint Solar was a long drawn out process. I've got a tub and lighting that I was putting in my backyard and so we submitted it as an upgrade and we wanted more panels than the energy that we were using. But we got turned down like four times before we went back and just submitted it on what we were using. We figured that we can just go back in the future to say why we need the upgrade.

The people at Vivint Solar have always been professional and easy to deal with. They are also very upfront and responsive. They told us when we started out to be patient because it might take a bit of a time and that was good advice. By the time I got the ball rolling things seemed fast. We’re really happy with the experience so far. I am recommending them to other people that I know. There were no surprises when we were going through the system. It has been as they described it and it has been an educational experience as well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

DONT GET VIVINT SOLAR. It's JUST ANOTHER UTILITY COMPANY. From the initial sales person, Daniel, who lied to me on how the system worked? He said If someone doesn't want the panels, it's STILL YOUR responsibly to pay for them in full, (Approx # 20,000). If you look at your contract, there is no mention of product cost. He said Vivint installers remove the panels and then install them at your new residence, and since they are paid off, with no more monthly payments. LIE. I spoke to the corporate office and they said NO, it's not how it works.

My Average electric payment with SCE, was $150.00 a month. I was told my bill would be about seventy or eighty a month. Now with Vivint, I pay an average of $142.00 plus 10.00 to SCE, so now I pay 152.00 a month, two dollars more. I had a construction job starting in October 2016, an addition to my house and I paid Vivint 499.00 to have seven (7) solar panels removed.

Vivint took forever to remove the panels about 1 ½ months. Then it's been almost seven (7) months and they still have not reinstalled them. I have called more than 20 times, to no avail. So, they finally scheduled an appointment for July 17, 2017, and it was a NO SHOW, NO CALL. Now, I'm on the phone right now with Vivint, speaking to supervisor, again.

In the meantime, I received a bill from SCE of $1,000.00, and Vivint not made any money from me since it's shut down. If Vivint's NOT interested in making money since they still haven't installed my panels, then they can take them all off and I'll find a company that is willing to work. I will file a complaint with the Contractors State Licensing Board, and all over SOCIAL MEDIA. I am also seeking attorney advice. On the positive side, most of their customer service reps were very understanding and professional. It just never translated to getting the panels reinstalled.

Great Experience with this Company, Program Manager Todd ** very direct and kind, led me through the entire process and the outcome has been amazing. Savings and customer support, Highly Recommend this Solar company to homeowners.

The cost of electricity in California is ridiculous. We looked into different solar companies and Vivint was the one that really stepped up and took the reins. It's pretty straightforward with them. They took care of everything for us, so we didn't have anything to do other than deal with our rep, Jeremy. I’m very satisfied with it. With Vivint, there’s reduction of cost in the monthly bill. They even offered an incentive if you signed up before last December. We also didn't have to pull any permits or deals with the city at all. The customer service team was excellent, too. Overall, the people at Vivint Solar are clean, courteous, fast and effective. It was a good experience all around and I have recommended them to friends. I’m a very happy customer.

I researched solar energy services about a year ago and asked for a PG&E consultation to see if I can do stuff to make my house more efficient. However, they sent out a person who couldn't answer anything I wanted to know and gave me stupid answers. He was so obnoxious and he really annoyed me. Everything he told me was way offline and I was turned off by it, so I didn't bother with solar energy until the salesman from Vivint Solar, Jeremy, came to my door and I talked to him. He was able to answer everything I wanted to know. He was so efficient and knowledgeable and I was pleased with him. He made enrollment an easy and painless process and told me everything we were going to do. He was here quite a bit talking to us, walking us through all the steps and it worked out really well.

We had a month gap from the time the system was put on until PG&E said we could go ahead and do it, and then we had a panel shut down, so we had to get that replaced. Vivint Solar came out and replaced the panel a few weeks ago. It looks like we're producing some good energy because I watch the meter all the time going backwards and I like that. Also, their customer service reps were great, courteous and I like them. Anytime I called and asked them anything, they're right on the spot. I'd recommend Vivint Solar. I already have a couple of friends who are waiting to see how this is going to work and, if that's the case, they're going to go in themselves.

Vivint Solar Company Profile