Call toll free
3.89/5
Based on 525 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional utility generated energy. We enable our customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs to them through long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable customer payments to us. We aim to provide best-in-class customer service and deploy technology that empowers our customers to take charge of their energy future.

We offer distributed solar energy — electricity generated by a solar energy system installed at customers’ locations — to residential customers based on 20-year contracts at prices below their current utility rates. Our customers pay little to no money upfront, typically realize savings of 15% to 30% relative to utility generated electricity immediately following system interconnection to the power grid and continue to benefit from guaranteed energy prices over the term of their contracts, insulating them against unpredictable increases in utility rates.

Vivint Solar Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1383 Vivint Solar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

Our electric bill in the summertime was getting up to $300. We looked into getting solar energy services, and because my Pastor had Vivint put solar at his house, I got it too and so far, the highest bill I've had was $97. The enrollment process was simple. We did the program where we didn't put any money down and Vivint didn't put any lease on our house. We just agreed to buy the power from them at a certain amount per kilowatt.

I've had good interactions with Vivint's customer service team. I'm having a little bit of an issue because they're charging me a little bit more than what they originally contracted for. But every time I call and tell them about it, they adjust it. It's just that about every month, I had to let them know so I'm not super happy about that. Although they took care of it when I called them, I wanted them to get it straightened so I don't have to keep calling them and we're still working on that with them. It amounts to about $7 a month. It wasn't a whole lot but we had recently contracted for a certain price. I can't seem to get them to document that it needs to be that price.

I would recommend Vivint still. The company itself is good. And other than the price issue, they followed through everything they said. They're prompt about their service. When they said they were gonna be here, they've been here. They also got me hooked up quicker than what they said they would project the date was. They did a clean installation and left the house clean when they did the work. All in all, I've been really happy with them.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Love the experience. Love the company. Sales rep Landon was awesome. Always on top of everything every time I had a question or concern about the solar panel. Made sure we were all well knowing of the solar panel and how they work. Will refer to other.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Sales rep Cole was great. Installation team finished in one day and done well. Day before city inspection a great Vivint technician came out and went over the whole installation to help ensure we passed city inspection. He found a pinched ground wire that so the system wouldn't turn on and he said Vivint would send someone out to fix it asap but it would not 'cause city inspector to fail us. We passed city inspection next day and then Vivint phone reps kept misunderstanding the situation (or ignoring what we were saying) and insisting we walk through a testing procedure. Had to do that on four different occasions. Frustrating four months later, finally came online. My Edison bill has dropped drastically (it's negative $10 right now), but I haven't done the math to see if I'm saving money because the Vivint bill is a little higher than I thought it would be.

Vivint Solar response

Hi James, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The installation process was completely free and required no effort on my part. Our rep took care of the process from beginning to end and now we see a savings on every months bill. I’m so glad we listened to his pitch and installed this system in our home. Thanks Vivint!

Vivint Solar response

Hi Jessi, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2018

October 2017 I had a second solar system installed on my house. Still to this day it has not been turned on. When I call Vivint to ask why, it’s the same story, paperwork has been submitted don’t know why it hasn’t been turned on. Well today, 6/18/18 I called MassACA and spoke to someone who told me that they just received my paperwork early May and that I was number 91 on a waiting list of 102. Very disappointed with Vivint Solar in regards to customer service and the lack thereof.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Jason, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com, so we can look into your account? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: June 17, 2018

I’m understanding more about billing etc. Riku explained it well to me. Thanks to him I’m understanding more about the power purchased agreement. I am fine now. Thanks for checking up on the houses after the install. We are very happy now!

Vivint Solar response

Francisca, we're glad Riku took good care of you! Thanks for going solar with us, you are a valued customer.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Vivint Solar's salesman, Danny, came to the door and told us about Vivint Solar. We were considering it for a while. We didn't know for sure if we wanted to do it. When he laid out all of the information, we thought about it for a couple of days and decided to do it. Their enrollment process was slow at the beginning because we assumed it would have been completed a little faster than it was. But it took over two months or so to get everything done and organized and ready to go. Nevertheless, their customer service team was excellent. Every time we had a question or we were out there and looking at what they were doing, they were very hospitable and very knowledgeable.

At one point, a wall socket had to be moved over about a foot to accommodate the wiring. The young man who came to repair that was very diligent in his work and very knowledgeable, and he had the whole process completed in a couple of hours. All of the gentlemen that we dealt with were excellent as well. Overall, we had a very good experience with Vivint Solar. It has cut a lot of the cost of electricity off of our bill so I'm satisfied. I would recommend it.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I’m very happy with the system. Vivint is a good company. I would recommend to friends. I’m saving money per kilowatt. It was a very easy process and everyone was very helpful. I just recommended Vivint to two of my neighbors.

Vivint Solar response

We're so happy to hear that you've had a great experience with us, Jose! Thank you for the referrals and for choosing Vivint Solar.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Everything went smoothly. Inspection, installation was well done. The employees were pleasant and knowledgeable. The complaints I had was that we weren’t contacted after installation by our representative. We had to turn on the system ourselves, we didn’t understand the concept of the charges for the solar and how to sell it to other people.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Aria, thank you for letting us know that the Installation team did a great job! If you still have questions, please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com and we will be happy to help.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We were very happy with the installation of our system and so far the system is working very well. Our largest complaint is after the installation I have had no contact from Vivint which has been a little disappointing but overall am very happy so far. IT would have been nicer to have had a better explanation of the way the billing works.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Nyle, thank you for letting us know that the Installation team did a great job! If you still have questions about the billing, please send your address to online-reviews@vivintsolar.com and we will be happy to help.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We are really happy with our solar. We love the experience. We haven’t had any issues with our system. I would recommend this company to anyone. We have saved so much since we got this almost two years ago. Thank you.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Melody, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback and positivity. We wish you many more savings moving forward.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Stephen ** our sales rep was respectful, knowledgeable and we wouldn’t have gone solar without his assistance. He walked us through all the steps and we’ve been happy and enjoying our cheaper bills since we went with Vivint. I have recommended this company to friends and relatives. Stephen has been helpful with us all.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Kathryn! We’re happy to hear that Stephen did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Glad that we went with Vivint Solar. From start to finish our experience was great all thanks to Stephen **. His ability to walk us through all our questions and concerns. He also followed up with the construction and day to day process. Not to mention the coordination with SCE and city inspectors.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Bob! We’re happy to hear that Stephen did a great job and took good care of you. Thank you for you doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Stephen ** has consistently followed up with the service, and our satisfaction with the solar panels. Whenever I have questions he has gotten back to me promptly. We are very glad that we went with Vivint Solar. Our system was turned on within 2-3 months and are already saving money. We have referred our friends and family and highly recommend that you do the same.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Jeff, we are happy to hear that Stephen took great care of you and that you are seeing savings! We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was initially hesitant to go solar, but, my sales Rep Stephen ** did an exceptional job at explaining the entire process to me. He was there during and after the installation and even stopped by to help me turn it on. I am so happy that I chose Vivint Solar. The whole process was very well planned out. It went as smoothly and promised and I am now saving money. This is definitely one of the best things I have done to future proof my house for years to come.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Zachary! We’re happy to hear that Stephen did a great job and took good care of you.

Original review: June 16, 2018

First looked at having solar put in a few years ago, but wasn't sure it was a good idea. After talking with Stephen ** came by and explained it more thoroughly with me I could see the benefits outweighed any negative. We were given a free electrical panel upgrade and are now saving money. Glad we did it.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Marlene! We’re happy to hear that Stephen did a great job and took good care of you.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Have enjoyed a positive experience in dealing with Vivint Solar Panel Co. The installation was completed as scheduled and I was kept up-to-date with each phase of the installation. Since then, their customer service and local service rep have been available, courteous, and a pleasure to deal with.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Daniel, We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in assisting you through the process. Thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: June 16, 2018

Received opportunity to go solar at no cost. Was hesitant at first, but, Stephen ** did an excellent job at explaining everything to my satisfaction. He was there during the install, after and even helped me turn it on within 6 weeks from the install date while I was on vacation. Very happy that I went solar with Vivint Solar and am saving money.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Karen! We’re happy to hear that Stephen did a great job. We appreciate your business.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Stephen was awesome. He was honest and very helpful in getting our solar panels. It did not cost anything for the installation process and Edison turned our system on within a couple of months. We have saved money with Vivint; much lower bill. :)

Vivint Solar response

Hi Kathryn, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving the great review, we appreciate your business.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We’ve enjoyed our solar experience with Vivint and appreciate their focus on customer care. We have had Vivint Solar for a couple of years and we love the money we are saving. It’s been a positive experience, on they seem focused on continuing to improve.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Rob, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving the great review.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am so happy with Vivint Solar. First, Stephen ** was the most patient salesman who always answered his phone or dropped by my house to answer questions. He stayed in contact with us during the entire installation process, when we got connected and has continued to keep us posted with respect to our family and friends that we referred to him. The Vivint Solar system is a no brainer with no out of pocket expenses and our energy rate is lower than what we were paying before going solar. I was initially very cynical of solar and had heard all of the horror stories. I was very impressed with Vivint and have a surprisingly happy experience with them; I highly recommend it.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Marianne, it sounds like Stephen took great care of you! We are very happy to have you as a customer and thank you for the fantastic review.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My entire process from beginning to end was seamless. My representative was very knowledgeable and upfront with me the entire time. My bill with Edison would reach $600+ during summertime, My Vivint Solar bill has been $200 max, and I enjoy incredible savings. I’m saving even more than Vivint told me I would save initially which I really appreciate. My system produces all the power they told me it would, and all I pay less than $10 per month to Edison to be connected to Them. I couldn’t Be happier I went solar and would highly recommend Vivint Solar because of their transparency all the way through the process. Go Vivint Solar and enjoy cheaper energy with no surprises!

Vivint Solar response

Celine, we are so glad that you shared your great experience and that your savings have exceeded expectations! Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar, you are a valued customer.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I've wanted to get solar energy for a lot of years but just recently, my wife was talked into it so we got the okay to go ahead and do some research on it and we are very satisfied. Vivint Solar installed a solar unit on my mother-in-law’s house. They sent somebody out and we went over several things and had no problem. He answered all the questions that we had. The only problem that we had was about halfway through the process, APS, our electrical company, changed the rules so we had to step back and change a few things so that they worked out for us. Vivint Solar was completely above-board and I would recommend them to other people.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have been turned on for about a year and a half and couldn’t be happier! We have saved thousands of dollars to what we would have paid on. The sales rep Steve ** did a great job and everything he said was going to happen has and there has been no surprises. Just savings! Thanks Vivint Solar!

Vivint Solar response

Hi Kali, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback and positivity. We wish you many more savings moving forward.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Bought a home 4 yrs ago, with a pool. Average electric bill in the summer without using the house AC, was $450.00 +. Signed up for Vivint and my bill is maybe $130.00 if I’m running the home AC a lot. My wife loves that so I am happy.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Don, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Vivint Solar reps came, knocked on the door. We didn't have to pay for anything so we went with it. So far, everything's fine. The installation team came fast. They came in the morning and they were done after lunch and they were out of here. However, it took a while to get the system up and running and I think part of the problem was Delmarva Power. When we finally realized it was taking a long time, I called to check and find out what was going on. The young man that I spoke with checked in to it for me and found out that there was somebody new that had taken the account over, and she didn't know that she needed to release everything to Delmarva Power. So they did that right then and they were right out in a couple of days and got us up and going.

I touch based with their customer service team from time to time, when we were waiting to find out where we were in the process. And everybody was always really nice and informative. They were honest and upfront with me. In fact, the rep didn't have to tell me that someone had not turned in the paperwork. He could have just fixed it and we would have moved on. But he was honest about it and I appreciated that.

We've just gotten our 2nd bill and we're very happy at this point. I keep tracking the production online. We have no idea what that means. I just know if the bar is big that means we get a lot. But we're real happy with the bills. Of course, summer is now coming, but if the bills we've gotten so far is any indication, I don't think we're gonna have any issues with it at all. And I certainly like the little tiny Delmarva Power bills that we're getting now. We'd definitely recommend Vivint Solar. It's definitely worth it. It's crazy how much money we're saving already and the whole process was good.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I am a roofing contractor and was apprehensive when Stephen ** first knocked on my door. He was great to work with and had lots of knowledge and answered all of my questions. I really appreciate that even if he didn't have the answer he would say that he doesn't know and then would quickly come back with the answer. The company was solid through and through from the door knock to the end of the solar installation. Edison turned it on within a couple of months and we are now saving big time. I highly recommend going with Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar response

Hi Christine, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback and positivity. We wish you many more savings moving forward.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The cost of electricity has been going up and I was trying to keep that down a little. I was interested in going solar then Charlie from Vivint called me. He was the first one that I listened to and I ended up signing up with them. The guys got the system installed right away but to get approval to turn it on took a long time, so I talked to several people about that. And I was not real happy about it because it nothing was happening. So far, I'm also having real trouble with my bills. When I changed the name on my electric because my wife died and I had to put it into my name, they cancelled all my charges. So, I don't have any record of what I've been paying and I don't know if I am saving any money. But as far as I know, I haven't gotten any outlandish bills. So, I'd like to wait longer to find out if I am saving any money.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Had the system approx. 5 years. Everyone has been forthright and honest. System is great with savings in the hundreds of dollars in heavy usage. Service team checks often without our contacting them. They want to know the system is working for our best interest and savings. From the initial first contact till now, could not be happier.

Chuck,

Thank you for leaving your feedback.We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had a great experience with Vivint Solar. They always came when they said they would and they were very polite. They were very willing to fix any problems that arose in a timely fashion. Since having the solar installed I have had two occasions when they have followed up with me, just to make sure everything was going well.

Hi Johnna,

We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for entrusting us to be your solar company!

Vivint Solar expert review by Zachary Shahan

The #2 residential solar installer in the United States, Vivint Solar is a public solar company that launched in 2011.

• Combined services: Vivint offers various home services such as security and automation systems, so you can bundle solar with these products through Vivint at the same time.

• Customer acquisition and installation efficiency: Vivint Solar is reportedly very efficient when it comes to customer acquisition, allowing it to theoretically offer customers lower prices than its competitors.

• Solar panel flexibility: Vivint Solar isn’t tied to any particular solar panel provider, so it’s able to adapt to changes in the market and provide customers with a wide variety of options.

• Financing model: Vivint Solar's most popular financing option is their PPA structure.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing or PPA customers and solar beginners.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Vivint Solar Company Information