Get Started

2. Solar Energy

A SunRun Company

3.8/5 (495 ratings)

About Vivint Solar

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Pros

• Long warranty on panels
    • Batteries for energy storage
    • In-house installers

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

Top Vivint Solar Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what...

Verified

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nic...

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
    2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
    3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
    4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
    • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
    • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
    • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
    Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
    How does Vivint Solar work?
    Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
    What solar panels does Vivint use?
    In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
    How does Vivint Solar billing work?
    Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
    • With a solar lease, you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
    • If you have a PPA, you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
    • With a solar loan, you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
    With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
    What is the Vivint Solar app?
    The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
    Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
    No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection.

Vivint Solar Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2021

The installation crew didn’t have a standing job however they did not clean up after themselves and I had to call and have the guy return to clean up the mess from the attic. And then I found sawdust all on the outside of my house by the garage door and black stains from their hands on the walls in the garage, in the wall, in the attic door to go up to the attic. I don’t feel less you have to clean up after your crew. And also had to be repainted When the first guy came out to see if it could be installed in our attic.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

We have just completed the installation of the solar panels and are waiting for inspection and activation. I can't comment any further other than to say that the installation team was prompt, efficient, and professional. If everything from here goes as well there is really nothing to complain about. The only thing I would caution future purchasers is to be prepared for the unsightly junction and relay boxes outside your house. You may need to obscure them somehow as we have since they are in a quite visible area on our property.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for your review, Edward! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: March 25, 2021

I had my solar panels installed yesterday and the installation team from Bakersfield CA was fast, efficient, knowledgeable, and very professional. They answered any questions I had and explained the system operation to me as well. Our Sales Rep Grant has been amazing as well. He has answered all our questions and everything he has told us about the system and the process has been 100% correct. It is obvious he knows the solar business inside and out as well as things other reps may say that are incorrect or misleading. I have read some of the reviews below and can't believe some people are referring to the same company.

California is screwed up in many ways but when it comes to solar the regulations they place on power companies definitely are there to protect solar consumers and for that I am grateful. I will get my final inspection in 5 days and expect to receive final sign off from our power company within two weeks. At this point I am very very satisfied with the system and this company.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Charles! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My experience with Vivint has been good. The gentlemen that I speak with, keeps me inform of what's going on. The other companies said that my home was not eligible for Solar Energy. Vivint said that it was. I appreciate Vivint so much. I just started using Vivint and I am very impressed. I like the security system in my home and the Solar Panels were just put in my home yesterday. I don't know if this is going to make my BGE bill cheaper but I am grateful if it does. Thank you Vivint for everything, I should have used you sooner is my only complaint. My experience has been great and I am satisfy with the services.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for your review, Renee! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of our solar community. Thanks for doing your part to protect our earth.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I only have good words for Vivint’s field rep, Corynne **, and the team that installed our solar panels. Every single one of them were professional in their dealings with us. They were respectful of our time and property. From start to finish, Corynne kept in constant communication with us. Her knowledge of the product is exceptional. She was straightforward and provided realistic expectations. My husband and I are 100% satisfied with our decision to go solar and doing so with Vivint.

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Lolita! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Resolution response: Oct. 12, 2021

Vivint Solar has responded that I do not have a solar system with through Vivint Solar. The Vivint employee that came to my house said he was from Vivint Solar but it turns out that guy was affiliated with Vivint Smart Home and not Vivint Solar according to some recent communications. I have no idea why the home security wing of Vivint would be getting involved in solar. I find this very confusing and since I’ve been lied to for weeks now by various people, I don’t know what or who to trust. It seems that this was on Vivint Smart Home and not Vivint Solar so I am closing this review and will open one for them instead. I would advise people to contact their utility companies themselves and not trust anyone that comes to your home.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

We were excited to go solar and initially we had a pleasant interaction with the sales rep. We were told that the net metering rate would be 1:1 and that the cost for the loan would offset the standard electric bill we were used to paying. However, we later found out when receiving our bill from the utility company that they do not have a 1:1 net metering rate and instead it is around 40%. This is causing us to pay way more now as our electric bill is still 60% of what it was before and we have the loan amount on top of that. We tried calling the rep and he initially answered saying he was unaware of that and that he was going to contact the legal team. We have made several attempts to contact the rep since then and he hasn’t responded to any calls, texts, or emails. He is ghosting us and the customer support is giving us the run around.

Vivint Solar response

We're sorry to hear this, Curt. Savings will vary widely based on your usage, location, etc. but we definitely want to make sure you're getting the most out of your solar system. Please send us a private message with your full service address and primary name on the account so that we can look into this for you. Thanks!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I was a pleased with the system until I had a roof leak close to where the solar panels are installed, a service man from Vivint came to check the system so I showed him the roof leak. And he confirmed that it might be leaking due to installation. He took some pictures of the leak and said he would report it to his supervisor, but no one contacted me so I started to call customer service. They said they would look into the problem. We emailed for about a month then they said it was Sunrun solar problem then they stopped writing back, I have emailed them many times with no response.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Jeffrey. Customer service is really important to us and we'd love to look further into this for you. Please send us a private message with your full service address so that we can help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Vivint Solar installed our Solar panels in 2015, the systems works great. However, we discovered a leak in our sunroom in May of 2020. It was determined that the leak was caused by the installation of the solar panels not being sealed properly. We called Vivint customer service and they had their techs come out and repaired the roof a couple months later. We are still waiting for the repairs to the damage inside the house to be completed.

We are having our roof replaced, I called Monday 8/16/2021 to schedule Vivint/SunRun come out to remove the solar panels for the installation of our new roof. Customer Care still has not opened a ticket, the team that schedule the panel removal cannot schedule the work to be done because they need a ticket. They have transferred me to customer care seven times and no response from customer care. I received a bill for $499.00 due Sept. 25th for the removal of the panels that cannot be schedule until customer care opens a ticket. First of all how can you send me a bill but you can't open a ticket to have the work completed? We have never experienced this lack of customer service before from any company....

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

DO NOT SIGN A SOLAR LEASE AGREEMENT WITH VIVINT!!! I signed a solar lease agreement with Vivint and have had my system for a year. I pay $110/month (which increases every year) for my system. I was guaranteed a system that covered 110% of my electric needs to account for the addition of my electric vehicle. I paid nearly $500 per month for electricity over the winter (with the same usage as the previous year) while still paying my solar costs. I now owe a true up of over $1500 to PGE even AFTER paying my extra electricity bills throughout the year. I was told that my system was radically underperforming by PGE. I was also told that my system was underperforming by Vivint but that there is nothing that they can do about it because of the location of the solar panels.

This analysis should have been done when estimating my power coverage initially. The representative also told me that my electricity needs had changed because I was home more during the pandemic- I am a frontline healthcare worker and my work schedule has not changed one bit- not only insulting response, but a response that clearly did not involve a lick of analysis.

DO NOT SIGN A SOLAR LEASE AGREEMENT WITH VIVINT. If your system does not produce what the representative tells you it will, you will spend a ton of money and have absolutely no recourse, other than a legal one, for the next 20 years. The customer service is TERRIBLE. It is impossible to discuss anything with anyone on the phone and different people email you about the system problems each time- avoiding the issue at hand and basically telling you that, since you signed the lease, you must deal with the system you have.

I also found two empty bottles of vodka in my attic after the roof was stabilized to accommodate the system and there has been NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THIS by Vivint. In addition to the gigantic expense of having a Vivint lease, I can also not be confident in the structural integrity of my roof after the work done by the Vivint contractors if drunk people were doing this job. I could not be more unhappy with my experience and my lease. I could not regret the decision to sign a solar lease agreement with Vivint more.

Vivint Solar response

Thanks for reaching out, Neel! We have assigned a specialist to contact you soon. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us at online-reviews@sunrun.com. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I purchased Vivint Solar as I did not want to maintaining my own solar system. Although I have saved some $ in my power bill, the main reason was for our environment. Which is good, as the balloon payment to my power provider at the end of the year, is always painful… and makes it hard to figure out the actual savings, if any. After about a year, I noticed one of the inverters was failing. I had assumed since Vivint monitored my system, they would proactively fix this (as the salesman said they would). Nope. I found my sales rep, and they sent an email as to when I could schedule a visit. I replied, and never received an appointment.

Several months later, I checked, and a second inverter was failing (heat related). I emailed the Customer Rep and the general email address… The rep got back to me and said that the issue was not serious (ok… It was shutting down parts of my system, according to the status provided on the website… and thus, costing me $$$). She also indicated that they did not have stock in the replacement inverters. Hmmm. “Fly by night” came to mind. She also told me I did not need to contact the general support site. I never received another call or email from her. I did pursue the general support line. We scheduled an appointment 2 weeks out. On the morning of the appointment, I receive a message from the field technician indicating they just found out they have no stock in the inverters, and someone will contact me to reschedule. This is my only service experience with Vivint… But on this one, I would not recommend Vivint as a Solar Provider.

Vivint Solar Company Information