A SunRun Company

3.8/5 (442 ratings)

About Vivint Solar

Vivint Solar is committed to providing a lower-cost, environmentally conscious alternative to traditional energy. The company enables customers to access the advantages of solar energy with little to no upfront costs with long-term contracts that generate recurring, predictable payments. Vivint Solar aims to provide best-in-class customer service and use technology that empowers customers to take charge of their energy future.

Pros

• Long warranty on panels
  • Batteries for energy storage
  • In-house installers

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Vivint Solar provides a free consultation with a solar advisor to help you determine how to optimize your system. Pricing isn’t available online, but customers have several options for purchasing and financing.

Top Vivint Solar Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service reps were great and very informative. They helped me get my answers and what I needed. They were easy-going, very informative, and what they promised was what...

Verified

Everything is great with Vivint Solar. ... [The representative] talked in detail and explained to me everything, and I understood. He was very precise and understanding, and a nic...

What is Vivint Solar?

Vivint Solar sells and installs full-service residential solar energy systems, including inverters and solar panels. Each system is customized to fit your home at no extra charge. Its low-profile solar panels withstand harsh weather while looking sleek on your roof. The solar panels come with a 25-year warranty, and Vivint monitors the system to make sure it is performing optimally.

Vivint also sells and installs batteries for solar energy storage and 240-volt EV chargers for your home. The Vivint Solar Home Energy app tracks your daily energy production and consumption. Customers who want to bundle their solar energy system and smart home automation can look to Vivint to provide both. The company gives you access to an online solar account that provides real-time information about usage and production to monitor your solar energy system and calculate your savings.

Vivint solar cost

Vivint Solar pricing varies from home to home. Factors that affect the cost of Vivint Solar panels include your solar plan, net metering, solar incentives, your location and, if you finance your system, your credit score. To learn Vivint Solar pricing, you can request a quote and get a free consultation from the company.

Vivint Solar offers several options for financing, including solar loans, power purchase agreements (PPA), and solar leases. If you purchase your solar energy system upfront, Vivint doesn't charge monthly costs. With a PPA, Vivint installs a solar energy system on your roof, and you pay it for the power it produces instead of paying your local utility. Some states offer rebates and tax incentives for going solar, and the federal government has a tax credit in place.

Vivint Solar installation

The Vivint Solar installation process is very straightforward:

1. In-house technicians design a system specifically for your home.
  2. Vivint verifies that your home, roof and attic are suitable for installation and submits the necessary paperwork for permitting.
  3. On installation day, crews arrive to install the panels on your roof and the electrical components on other areas of the property. Installation typically takes four to eight hours.
  4. After installation, the city and/or utility company must inspect and approve your new system before you can operate it. Vivint facilitates this process and gets permission to turn it on.

Vivint Solar warranty

When you purchase or lease a solar energy system from Vivint, it includes:

• A 10-year warranty on all workmanship
  • A 25-year linear performance warranty on all panels, which means Vivint replaces your panels if they produce less than the expected amount of energy (which does decline over the years).
  • A 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the inverter
  • On power purchase agreements, a 20-year warranty on energy costs to guarantee you pay Vivint a lower price than what the local utility charges for electricity

Vivint Solar FAQ

Where is Vivint Solar available?
Vivint Solar is available throughout the Southwest, Northeast, Florida, South Carolina, Illinois and Hawaii.
How does Vivint Solar work?
Vivint Solar installs photovoltaic panels on your roof and an inverter alongside your home that converts the solar energy into electricity you can use or store in a battery.
What solar panels does Vivint use?
In most cases, Vivint installs monocrystalline solar panels for optimum efficiency and a sleek look. It also offers lower-cost polycrystalline panels.
How does Vivint Solar billing work?
Vivint Solar bills customers with a solar lease, power purchase agreement (PPA) or solar loan.
  • With a solar lease , you pay a fixed monthly amount based on your estimated solar energy production.
  • If you have a PPA , you pay Vivint monthly for the power generated by the system installed on your roof.
  • With a solar loan , you pay the loan company an installment on the price of the system.

With any Vivint Solar energy system, you receive a bill from your local utility company on top of any statements from Vivint. Your utility company uses net metering to determine if your solar system generates enough power to cover your needs. You will be billed if you use additional power, but you might also see a credit if the system produces more energy than your home uses.

How does Vivint PPA work?
With a Vivint power purchase agreement (PPA), the company installs a solar energy system on your roof. You then pay Vivint for the power it produces, typically at a lower rate than what your utility company charges for electricity. You do not own the system, and Vivint handles all maintenance, repair and monitoring. Vivint PPAs are not available in some areas.
What is the Vivint Solar app?
The Vivint Solar app allows customers to access their accounts via an iPhone or Android device. The app features billing information, details usage for your home and energy production and shows performance data for your system.
Does Vivint Solar put a lien on your home?
No, Vivint Solar does not put a lien on your home. When you finance a solar energy system, the lender might make UCC-1 filing to protect its interests in case you default on the loan.

Is Vivint Solar worth it?

Yes, Vivint Solar is worth it. Though it has only been in the solar industry for a relatively short time, Vivint Solar has expanded its offerings to many areas. Vivint customizes solar energy systems to optimize performance for your home and offers several options for purchase or financing. Vivint usually installs systems in one day, which means your home does not become an ongoing work site. All installations come with an 86-point quality inspection. Vivint Solar is now a part of SunRun.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

We had a great experience with not only sales team but, the install as well. I have already reached out to multiple people sharing my experience! Look forward to helping company grow by bringing in more customers!

Vivint Solar response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Stephanie! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Ron knows his business, he explained everything that I needed to know. Took his time making me aware of the savings I would have and always assured me that he would be a phone call away if I had any additional questions. I am glad I went solar because the savings are way more than I expected.

Vivint Solar response

Arlene, your review brightened our day! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money (and the earth) with solar energy! Thank you for taking the time to send us some feedback, we love having you in our solar community.

Original review: June 29, 2021

The installation crew didn’t have a standing job however they did not clean up after themselves and I had to call and have the guy return to clean up the mess from the attic. And then I found sawdust all on the outside of my house by the garage door and black stains from their hands on the walls in the garage, in the wall, in the attic door to go up to the attic. I don’t feel less you have to clean up after your crew. And also had to be repainted When the first guy came out to see if it could be installed in our attic.

Original review: June 29, 2021

We have just completed the installation of the solar panels and are waiting for inspection and activation. I can't comment any further other than to say that the installation team was prompt, efficient, and professional. If everything from here goes as well there is really nothing to complain about. The only thing I would caution future purchasers is to be prepared for the unsightly junction and relay boxes outside your house. You may need to obscure them somehow as we have since they are in a quite visible area on our property.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for your review, Edward! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: May 16, 2022

Everything went well until we filed our taxes and found out the salesman here in Henderson, NV lied about getting the $10K back from the government. You don't get the rebate in cash like he said, you get a credit. Also said I would have to pay the $10K to the loan company to keep my monthly payment at the same rate or it would go up. Being retired and not paying taxes on it, the credit is sitting at the IRS and I will never get it. My CPA said to either win a bunch of money or get a job to get the credit from IRS. Not amused.

Vivint Solar response

We are sorry to hear this, Don! Please send us a private message with your service address, and we will have a representative reach out to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: April 21, 2022

I just had a top notch roof installed when Vivint came to my door. I mentioned that as a concern for having panels installed. The salesman assured me that Vivint would take care of any problems with the roof should any arise. A few years later and right after one of their equipment service calls, I have a leak. Reaching their customer service wasn't easy but I finally got through to them. They said they were sending me an email and to attach pictures of the leak to the reply. I did not get an email. I then sent them an email explaining my problem and still nothing. I definitely do not recommend them. They're playing name games now Sunrun Vivint. They are not an upstanding company. The contract that they have you sign is thicker than phonebooks were in 1980. I was suspicious of them from sight of the contract and the first issue that I had they confirmed my suspicions.

Vivint Solar response

We are sorry to hear this, Rick! Please send us a private message with your service address, and we will have a representative reach out to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: April 19, 2022

Was convinced by Tyson ** Vivint solar salesman to go solar in July of 2021. Complete disaster. It’s April 2022. Solar system not online. Nothing has been done in over 6 months. Work I paid thousands extra for not even started. The big $14,000 I was to get back on Taxes (Tyson ** even had some fake paper that had this on it) was only to be $1,000. Every contact that lied to me has now ghosted me. City inspector has been sent to my house 2-3 times for final inspection and of course it does not pass. Recent email explaining to me that a mechanics lien is on my House. Due to loan company not paying for system. Contract clearly states no payment until work is completed. I’ve sent email after email explaining I want nothing to do with this company and they ignore that part. I do not believe there is one ounce of truth or integrity in Vivint and especially Tyson **.

Vivint Solar response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Lonzo. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. Please send us a private message so that we can gather more information and look into this. Thank you.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I've had a roof leak causing water damage to my ceiling since Dec. 2021 (over 3 months now). Customer service reps are not able to get the Install team to take ownership and repair the leak. I'm sure mold is starting to form at this point. I've emailed to request tickets with no luck. You'll see a repeating theme across 1 star reviews where the company does not remedy issues/damages. New Mexico's Attorney General sued Vivint for Deceptive Practices and settled in 2021; California probably needs to do the same. ** The Vivint (now SunRun) CEO's email is: **. For California, you can file complaints with the Contractors Board: **.

Vivint Solar response

It looks like you currently have a case open with our Legal team. We have reached out to the individual handling your legal concern(s) and they will be in touch with you or your attorney within the next five business days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I'm very disappointed and regret I signed up with VIVINT SOLAR part of SUNRUN. The project started in end of August 2021. I'm still waiting for the Net Meter to install. The installation was quick but after that I've been waiting and waiting for months no progress or any update what is happening. I had to called National Grid my utility company and town inspector to inquire what is the hold up. 4 days into 2022 and I just called VIVINT SOLAR and they told me there is no project manager assigned to my address. I'm not surprise but still can't tell me what is the hold up. The salesperson was the worst experienced. Make sure you don't work the salesperson named Alicia **. Every time I called she would not answer. If I sent a text she would give me excuse "I can't talk or either I'm in the Church or I'm in the hospital" but never return my text or phone call.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Installed solar panels April 2021. Quick install is the only thing that went well. End of June I am being told that PG&E is backed up. This is why we have not gone live just yet with the new panels. I reached out to PG knee and they said that at the beginning of June they reached back out via email to the contractor stating that the wrong forms were filed and Vivint has not responded. When we started this project we were 200 projected true-up and by the time we finished and we’re alive we were 900 projected true up. I called emailed requested management to reach back out to me to discuss and have never received any phone calls or email by any manager. Installed and April finally went live during August. 120 days to go live on solar miss the entire summer. And increased my true up almost $800. I requested to have the solar panels pulled off and no one would entertain my conversation or respond to emails.

Vivint Solar response

Oh no, Raymond! We are sorry to hear that the preparation process took a long time. Please send your address and review to online-reviews@sunrun.com so we can look into this. Thank you.

Vivint Solar Company Information