toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vivint Solar

Hi, Janice. We're glad that the team has been great and has been diligent in working on your system. Thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Everyone involved in Vivint has been absolutely wonderful in getting my solar up and running. The staff are professional and efficient, despite working for two days in the awful 110+ degree heat. I am pleased with this company and will definitely refer anyone I know that wants to go Solar. Thank you again.

Vivint Solar

Thank you, Joel! We love hearing that you are pleased with your decision and would recommend us to your family and friends. We appreciate the review and thank you for going solar with us!

Original review: June 3, 2016

My experience with Vivint Solar has been very smooth so far. Our rep, Sandy **, was very kind and thorough. Being an elderly couple, We were skeptical in the beginning. We didn't know much about the solar or different programs and she took the time to explain to us in a way that was very easy to understand. She was honest, upfront and clear about any concerns that we had. She was very patient with us and was always there to pick up when we called her. She even provided us with local references for us to call. We called all 3 and all 3 had wonderful things to say about their system, savings and the service of Vivint Solar. Our time to installation took one month and she got us moving forward quickly. The installers took less than 5 hours to complete about 38 panels on our home. Being retired, we are always looking for ways to save money so this made much sense. My wife and I are happy and will recommend them to our family and friends.

After a very long process of getting our solar panels installed, inspected and turned on; everything was going great. Vivint is supposed to monitor your system, well they don't. I called February 4th about a problem with my system. The earliest that this will be fixed will be April 5th. So if you don't care about customer service it's a great company.

I had the opportunity to meet two of your sales people who explained to me the benefits of getting solar panels for my home. Both Tom ** and his partner Kerry were very knowledgeable about the product. I have the panels on my house now despite being against them for years. I have recommended them to other because of the information provided by Tom and Kerry and their assistance in walking me through the process. My goal was to save money and this has occurred. Kudos to your sales staff for provided with all available info.

We had been thinking about solar energy service for some time, and the rep from Vivint was in the neighborhood. And so, it made it convenient for us to sign up with them. However, my experience with Vivint Solar hasn’t been very good. We had our system installed initially in January of 2015, but it is still not fully up and running. Expectations like how long the process would take weren’t set upfront and we also went into some additional difficulties.

They came up and put the panels on the roof. Then it has to be approved by the county. We live in Howard County, Maryland and we had the Howard County Consumer Affairs Board involved. They were mediating between us and Vivint for a while because we weren’t making any progress. The rep left and though our account has been assigned to a new rep, we fell into like a black hole and we had no communication for some time. It was just a bad experience all around. The ball was dropped several times and it was just a very messed up process.

They finally got the system up and running about a month ago. Then I received another call from Vivint saying we're not completely online and they're gonna send a rep to check out the system. I specifically asked would they need to come in the house to do that and I was told no - it was something at the box outside. The day came and I got a call telling me that they need to get inside the house. I work 45 minutes away from where I live, so I’m not there.

I rescheduled for Saturday in the morning where I could be at home, but they don’t have reps that go out or techs in the Maryland market that work on Saturdays. So I told them if it’s going to be during the week, it has to be first thing in the morning. So I was home waiting for them at 8 o’clock because I was told 8 o’clock, the rep would be there. 8:30 rolls around but the rep still didn’t show up. So, I called Vivint Solar and told them the rep's not here. They said they had the service in a window from 8:00-11:00. I told them I was very specific that that would not work for me. I have to be at the first appointment in the morning because I had to work. And so they rescheduled it again. It got to the point where we just wanted to get the panels removed and get out of the contract. But that wasn’t an option and we were told we can’t do that. So what they did is they settled. They cut us a check for $1000 for all of our trouble.

What has been happening is total incompetence. I understand as I’ve worked for a large company, too, but it’s the repetitive breakdown in communication or misinformation. And it started from the very beginning, from the sales person not properly trained to really set the expectations of how long the process should take so we’d realize when we signed up that it might take a few months. My wife, Ashley, was the one who was handling this process at first, but she got so frustrated that she refuses to have any dealings with them at all. It became a very confrontational situation between her and Vivint and that’s why I’ve been handling it since then.

I signed the PPA after Kelly ** (Salesman) Told me I had to sign to keep the deal. He told me I could cancel with Vans in driveway. He said Vivint wouldn't cut or harm my new roof. I told him "I would shop around with other companies." He said "no worries. Sign the PPA. It's not binding and can be cancelled." He called later on and said they wanted to install April 27. I said "no." I said "late May", so Kelly said "May 18". I asked for May 27. I told him later the better as I was shopping around. Long story short. They installed April 27.

When I heard they were there I emailed Kelly, then I called Vivint. I was in a panic (should I drive home?). The person I spoke to at Vivint said not to worry. They would try to contact the crew. I waited what seemed like forever. I called Vivint back and asked for status - Sarah said that the installation was cancelled. I said "great - you contacted everyone. Are you sure I don't have to drive home." Sarah said "no", she said I would need to call back to re-schedule the installation. I thanked her and hung up. I also emailed Kelly ** to thank him if he had anything to do with canceling the installation.

When I got home from work that night the solar panels were on my roof. Vivint is now not so friendly. They are saying I will be in default unless I pay and sign. They cut my new roof and put panels all over my house without me being there to oversee the installation. Vivint just is money hungry - not a trustworthy company or salesman. Shame on you Kelly **! If anyone in Westchester NY - or anywhere else, wants to come over and see the installation, or just wants to ask me questions call me at **. I also recently found out Vivint took a lien out on my house. Something Kelly ** also assured me that wouldn't happen.

Vivint Solar's salespeople came up here and started talking to me about it. I had to talk it over to my wife at the time and they gave me a little pamphlet. I read on it, gave it to my wife and now, we've been with them a month and a half. Enrolling with them wasn't difficult and their customer service was very good and they're knowledgeable. It cost us on the first month and then on the second month the payment went down. I'd recommend them to anybody that wants to try it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Solar?

Victor was a typical salesmen telling us only what he wanted you to know. He won't tell you the buyout is all most twice the cost. Our buyout now after 16 months would be $58,000 dollars. Same system would be about $35,000. He also won't tell you it's just about impossible to get out of the contract if you're not happy. He won't tell you about the pages that you need a magnifying glass to read about taking Vivint to court. Not in your favor. Our inverter was broke for 6 weeks. Two panels not working right since Dec 2016 now 3-12-17. Most people don't know about the negative contract. I WILL NOT STOP TELLING EVERYONE ABOUT VIVINT. HOPE THEY LIKE MEDIA. STAY AWAY FROM VIVINT. GET YOUR OWN SYSTEM.

So far, I'm not too thrilled with Vivint Solar. Their solar panels were put in last year and I should be seeing savings instead of getting charged. I talked to them about a month ago and they said that I've got to get the system in operation as it banks up power and then I would be saving money off of my electric bill. Well, I'm spending more money now than I ever was so I'm not too happy. They made me put 36 panels on my roof with a transformer because it'd be generating too much power back into the system.

I had it installed because my neighbor had installed across the street and he noticed a heck of a savings with his electric bill. I contacted the people, they came in and put the stuff in and wait for approvals. All it's doing is to generate more outlay of cash from my family and I'm very disappointed. I've got an 1800 square foot house and have been in the house for 41 years and I have 10/2 wiring to every circuit in the house so there's no overdraw of amperage or heated lines or inadequate supplies. We waited up to 10 months from start to finish to get it put on and then to get it turned on was another couple three months. In the first month we got a $20+ bill. This month we got a $75 bill. I wonder what it will be next month. I'll pull the plug on this and they can take it off the roof. What a scam.

The whole process took a while and I'm still waiting for the panels to be turned on but everything went smoothly. The whole process was incredibly easy and simple. I would highly recommend this service to anyone interested in getting solar panels installed on their home.

Our sales person told us that we will be getting a check for $5000 in January 2017 for the NY state tax refund because they can not get it. They only can get the Federal refund since they are buying the system and we are leasing it. Which is now BS. I asked 2x if it's a credit or check and our sales person said it's a check when we were signing up. This is why we signed up because we thought we were getting a $5000 check back from NY state as we were told by the sales person. Make sure you fully understand what's involved before agreeing for solar.

This is not the only issue. Took a long time to get a referral payment from our sales person. Thought we were going to forget about it and it was only $200.00, not $250.00. A few months after we installed solar our skylight glass popped. They said it wasn't from the weight of solar panels. No one came over to investigate. Just told us over the phone. So how do they know what caused it. Just assuming. That's it. All the drama.

I’ve been thinking about going solar for a long time. It’s going to save a little bit of money on my part and protect the environment a bit better, too. I talked to another company originally but they kept putting me on a backlog to set up the initial appointment. I could never get anybody to come around and talk at the time that I needed them to do it so I started searching around. I’ve seen Vivint and have had good experience with them. Right from the beginning, they’ve been very helpful. However, the process takes too long, which has nothing to do with Vivint's people. It can take five or six weeks for the inspector to come to make sure that everything’s been installed properly.

Right now, going solar is working for me. You’re not saving up on a lot of money right off the bat, but you are saving a little and that’s a big plus right there. Vivint's customer service people are very knowledgeable and always there for you. If I have a problem or a question, they answer it right away. There’s no time limit on that. I also like the setup where I can go online and check my billing and the power I’ve used. I've told people that should they start to go solar, they should go with Vivint.

I’m satisfied to go solar but I should have gone with a different company. It took Vivint Solar six months to get anybody over to my house to put the system in. After they did, they messed up the roof and some of my panels so I needed another person to come over and fix it. Then right after that, I got another phone call from Vivint saying that they would send another person to fix something that has already been fixed. They got the system up and running last week. Vivint Solar is a good company but they should do something about the salesman who came into my house and bluntly lied to me. I asked him how much longer it was going to be and he said it's out of their hands and that they gave it to DG & E.

They are the worst solar company. Once on the roof they don't care about you at all. My system hasn't worked since it's been installed but they are trying to charge me. For electricity that they don't even know what I'm using but still want to bill me while I'm paying my utility company also. This is a big scam.

I had very good experience with the Vivint Solar. Sales manager Mitchell is excellent explaining different options and working through the whole process. We decided on owning the solar installations instead of leasing because of good options available through Vivint Solar.

Vivint Solar came to my door saying the power companies need lower their carbon footprint (lie # 1). The salesman said my roof was perfect for solar. (lie #2) I had it checked a few years ago. The salesman said sign the tablet so they can see if your roof will pass for a tier one (the electric company and Vivint Solar (lie # 4 and 5)). The electric company has nothing to do with Vivint Solar and if you do sign the tablet it looks like you sign a single page when in fact you signed for a solar installation contract with 25 pages. When I asked before I signed the tablet "This is not to install solar?" I was told "No, it is to measure to see if you qualify." (lie #6) You have 3 business days to cancel the contract. Best yet SEND THEM PACKING.

My brother-in-law had Vivint Solar installed on his roof and he told me about it. He then sent one of the representatives over to talk to me and I decided to get it as well. They came for a sun test to see if we were a candidate for it and then the guys came and installed it. We had to wait for the electric company to change their meter then we turned it on. It's saving me about $100 a month on average. Also, anytime we've had any question about anything, Vivint always gives us an answer right away. Everything's been great and it works the way they told me it would. I'm really satisfied. I told my neighbor how great they were and he got them installed as well. Also, every time I see somebody, I tell them about Vivint.

Brett ** is a very dedicated sales consultant who was there every step of the way process. I know that I can refer him neighbors and relatives because he is someone I can trust. It was my pleasure to work with him and Vivint Solar!

My supervisor told me how much money he was saving on solar energy services, and I thought it was worth a look. Then one of the people I worked with suggested that I talk with Jesse. He came out and talked with me, and I was sold right away. Then they took a look and made sure they could put the panels on my house. After that, they made arrangements, and within two weeks the guys were out here putting the panels on. I had expected it to take longer for them to turn the solar service on, but everything went a lot faster than I expected. I'm really satisfied with my decision to go solar though I haven't seen a lot of savings yet, but I'm hoping that happens. Everything was fantastic with Vivint Solar and I love dealing with them.

We wanted to save money and the ecosystem and we looked into solar. We signed up with Sunrun back in March last year, but we never heard back from them. They kept hesitating and they couldn't get people to come and put it up. When a Vivint Solar salesman came by the house in August, we said we were ready. We signed the papers and a guy came out and did a survey of our roof to see how much power we would be generating. He checked our electrical box too. They created a plan and got it back to us. We checked off on it and they installed it about three weeks later, so we were able to cut the power on to it. The process was easy and it was nice. Vivint Solar kept me informed all the way and there were no hassles whatsoever. It was a very good experience, and so far, we're satisfied with our decision to go solar.

I'm interested in being green and getting a better deal on electricity. Vivint quoted well and I knew they were a reliable company. The guy whom I first dealt with was very good at describing the process to me. He did a great job. The process took several months, but deciding to go solar seems to be working well. My electricity is cheaper, too. I'm very satisfied.

I had already been looking into solar energy services and I was interested in it because of the lower energy cost. Then, a friend referred me to Vivint Solar. Enrolling with them is easy. Their guys came out and gave us a little site survey, they came back, did another survey and we approved everything. Their customer service was courteous, able to answer questions, and gave me some guidance. About a month later, they were back and installed their services. Another two months, BG&E hooked it up.

Recently, I called about getting the BG&E bill. They're making me pay for a BG&E meter that I didn't have to pay for before and they didn't bring that to my attention. It is about five dollars a month that I wasn't aware of and I just called about that. I'm not sure if I can have lower costs because I haven't had the summer bill yet. It hasn't reduced and I'm wondering if it's gonna reduce too much from our gigantic bills. I'm also not sure if they got me during the winter, so I don't know what I'm saving. I don't want to pay too much.

He did a great job. I will recommend to other people. I will be glad to get it connect. The solar panel look good on top of the house. I be glad to get hook up so I can see the electric bill go down then I be able to see the saving.

In January of 2015 two leaks were detected in my roof due to the installation of solar panels which were installed in 2013. It took 5 months and multitudes of crews and a roofer to find the leaks even though the leaks were clearly marked by myself. Shortly after re-installation of the panels, three additional leaks were discovered and attributed to the heavy roof traffic while repairing the original two leaks. The leaks were repaired but still this date (2/11/17) the panels have not been re-installed. Working with Vivint's damage resolution team, installation and supervisors has been daunting and very frustrating. I would not recommend them as a Solar company.

My daughter had Vivint Solar and I got recommended by her. When we first set the service up, we had a hard time -- it took forever to get the inspection done. They put it on July 3rd and by the middle of August they still hadn't put the ground wire back in. Finally, they came out and did that after many calls. Then they said that I was due for inspection. I kept calling and saying, "When are you gonna inspect?" But they never could tell exactly when this would be done. I finally called the inspection team myself and they said they'd come within the week.

Once they got the inspection done, it took them three months before they came out to put the meter in, and then we were finally operational. The system is running very good now. But I probably lost a lot of money in August and September because I didn't have the wire and it took a long time to get the service operational. I had to keep hammering them, and that's one thing that I didn't like. I was willing to spend money with them, but I shouldn't be hammering them to get things done.

Dylan, the original salesman, was good. He would always answer my calls. He would also make calls to try to get things go a little bit faster. But the customer service rep, Michaela, was no good at all and totally useless. She would never return our phone calls. Then finally she returned a phone call after they sent me a survey through on the internet. When I put my feelings about her on the internet survey, the next day she called me up and everything's been boom, boom, boom all of a sudden.

We were looking for solar panels, and my wife came across Vivint Solar. The salesman gave us some pretty good and straightforward facts, answered all our questions and wasn't pushy. They really had our interest in mind. The hardest part was the wait in getting the panels installed, for the inspection of the installation and then having them come out and replace the meter. Other than that, it was rather smooth. They were very professional and we're satisfied.

Vivint Solar is a great company and I would recommend them to anyone! The sales rep David ** has answered every question and was helping us through the whole process! He is the type of person that wold take his shirt of his back and give it to you! He is a great asset to your company!

I get a call from Mary. I don't pick up since I do not know the number. I will call back and have to hit zero since Mary does not leave her last name or extension. I have to hit 0 many times. I get the operator. She ask me for Mary last name. Mary did not leave her last name or extension. Operator ask me what I have. Security or solar. I tell her, "I don't have security, I have S&W." So, that should tell the air head I do not have security, still send me over to security. WTF! Finally get a hold of Mary, I ask, "Why don't you leave your last name or extension." "Not require." I ask, "Then, why does the operator ask for it then." Piss poor listening skill. "We don't have to." I then stated, "Then how am I to get a hold of you?" No reply. I just said, "Goodbye." I do not know my account number. It is a two-way street.

Our going solar has been a good decision. It's efficient and our savings have been good. The only glitch that came up is with the design that they had for me for the panel and the ones they installed. They were going to give me panels that were 265 watts, but somebody dropped out and had to cancel. They shoved and moved me up on the schedule. Unfortunately, the person that they were gonna sell the panel for were actually 260 not the 265 that they had engineered for me.

After it was installed, they wanted me to sign a variance. That’s what brought it up to my attention. Once we started investigating, we found out that the panels installed were not the right ones. The technicians came back out, got up on the roof and looked at it and said those are the wrong panels. They had to add extra ones which I fortunately had the surface area and my roof can sustain the weight so it's okay.

Other than that, the gentleman I talked to was very good. He’s the one that spearheaded the whole process of getting the extra panels because basically, we agreed to one thing and he walked me through the process. Everything worked out very well and we’re saving money. They did everything they told me they were gonna do and they brought it up to speed so I’m happy. I would recommend this to a friend.

The installers were very professional and courteous. The installation took less than a day. The entire process was explained well. Erik ** was patient and knowledgeable with our questions; a great solar expert. We would recommend Vivint to friends and family!

Seeing a lot of recent activity on the block and having panels on the roof from 1980 (that never really worked) I researched Vivint. What holds true for all such companies is the 20 year lease of the panels. While not secured with a mortgage the lease stands up to challenge and becomes a liability when trying to transfer title to the property. In short, it makes a homeowner a title not quite as simple in transfer. Their interest must be taken into account. As to the effectiveness of the system we are too low on the sun angle to fully benefit and the effective life of the system is questionable as none has been used for 20 years. Panels are made in China and their life may be far less and require maintenance/replacement leading to catastrophic expense to the homeowner. My panels wore out after 15 years and the mechanical systems required replacement on numerous occasions.

I wanted to save money so I looked into going solar. Enrolling with Vivint was exciting and I didn’t run into any problems setting up, but now it’s like what they say - it’s too good to be true. When I spoke with the guy at the beginning, he told me my bill would be cut in half and I didn’t have to pay anything to the electric company. I would only have to pay Vivint. But I’m still paying on my electric which hasn't gone down and I’m also paying Vivint $26. So far it’s been like a nightmare because now I’m paying about $100 and I didn’t pay $100 in the wintertime. I just called them about a month ago and told them I haven’t saved any money. I want to know when I’m gonna start saving money.

Vivint Solar Company Profile