1.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1589 Walgreens Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Every time I go to the Marrero Walgreens on Barataria and Lapalco they always claim they never received my meds. That happened several times. I pulled my prescriptions and went to a local pharmacy and never have a problem every month. My blood pressure medicine was on time and my cholesterol meds were on time. They just recently went out of business so I switched back to Walgreens. On Thursday my doctor sent a prescription over. Went to pick them up. They claim that my blood pressure medicine was never sent. Know what? My cholesterol meds were not sent also. He sent me over a ** pack. They claim they never received that. Call my doctor back on Friday morning. They resent the meds. It is now Sunday and they still claim that they never received the meds. Contacted my lawyer because he’s a matter of life and death and will let them handle this from this point on and we’ll go back to a local pharmacy again.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My husband had a quadruple bypass. Last Sunday when I brought him home, picked up meds ordered at Walgreens. I looked at the med name but not the dose as I followed the hospital DC orders to the T from my sheet. I filled the pill boxes for 1 week. He made very good progress with therapy. So this Sunday night I filled them again using the bottle labels. Gave him meds Sunday evening and Monday morning. PT came and took his vitals again. Mine showed pulse 74 at 7 am. What he had been running. PT showed 48 at 10:30 am. My first thought was the **. Walgreens had labeled it for twice the dosage it should have been. He got 2 double doses. He now is cardioverted but unable to participate in therapy or rehab and has developed pneumonia. No endurance. Retaining fluid... So we are essentially starting all over. I called the pharmacy and got, "OH you're right, that's wrong." I'm livid. Definitely changing pharmacy!

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 12, 2019

From my POV, Walgreens has a lot to be desired. They are living proof that bigger is not better. They are always out of my medication and has to order it the next day. They seldom answer the phone without being put on hold for long periods of time. They are definitely understaffed, the Pharmacists all have very bad attitudes, maybe because they are being over-worked. Tomorrow I am changing to a local family owned pharmacy that actually cares about their clients.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My medication is constantly being put on a prescription delay. My insurance will no longer pay for brand, and Walgreens never has the generic available. This is a medication that I need everyday and cannot just stop taking without severe consequences. The problem I have is the fact that one, they never check their voicemails, and two they say your prescription is ready, but when you go to pick it up they tell you it's on a delay. If they would just check their voicemails then maybe they could notify me sooner, so I'm able to try and get my script transferred instead of telling me when I'm completely out. One more thing, you still have to wait in line for sometimes up to an hour after your script is ready. I just really hate this pharmacy!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

A friend and I are going on an international trip where vaccines are required. She received the EXACT same medication as I did for half the price at CVS (insurance didn’t cover the malaria medication for either one of us). She paid $69 at CVS and Walgreens charged me $122. Once I discovered this I went back to the Sycamore, IL store with both receipts and prescriptions in hand and they would not price match or do anything about it. Needless to say I will be changing pharmacies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was with CVS for 3 years and kept switching pharmacies hoping that the next would be better than the last. They weren’t. I kept debating about whether to switch to Walgreens and finally did. I’ve been with Walgreens for about a year and a half now. They are Sooo much better than any of the CVS pharmacies I was with. Mine actually has a drive through pick up which makes it extra nice. The pharmacy is consistent with my meds, never had an error in the entire time I’ve been with them, and they are quick with the Dr approvals. I should have switched to Walgreens years ago!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Pharmacist on duty at that time was inconsiderate and unprofessional. Repeat of attitude from month before. We are going on a trip, needed to have sleeping pill order filled early. First answer was they did not have enough to fill order. Second answer was my request was too early. Seems to delight in giving customers a hard time. My script bottle indicated I had it filled 2/6/19, but apparently I am at fault for February only having 28 days. I don't know how Walgreens compensates for months that have 31 days. Normal service from pharmacists at this location are very good to excellent.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Too much trouble to get the pharmacy to do its job. Always make me come back another day. Instructions from doctor is very clear... These pharmacist make it extremely difficult to get your medication as prescribed... Feel very uncomfortable being judged by my disability...

Original review: March 8, 2019

Walgreens Alma School, Dynamite Rd, Scottsdale: Lost prescription, refused to give out medically necessary drugs. Obviously prefer patients to die. Both neighborhood pharmacies admitted that there was reason to LEGALLY hand out the drugs for one overnight supply.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

To whom this may concern, my name is James **. I had my roommate drop off my pain medication prescription and she forgot to tell me when it would be ready. When I went to the pharmacy on the 23rd of this month, the Cheyenne and Rampart location (Las Vegas), the pharmacist told me that she could fill it that day. But when she asked the other pharmacist in charge if there were any in stock, she said no and that they would have more the following Monday. When I called Monday, they then told me that my prescription wasn't due for a refill until the 27th. I called today at approximately 10:59 am and was told my prescription would be ready by 1 pm today. I was not told then that they didn't have any in stock.

While waiting for them to notify me that they were ready, I receive a message, via your app, saying they are out of stock and that more are on the way. I would like to know how they can receive more on Monday, then tell me that they would have my prescription ready by 1 pm today and then tell me that they are now out of stock?

If me asking about refilling my prescription when they were not due for refilling, which was genuinely not my intention, gives them reason to believe that there is a problem on my end, then I do apologize for the mixup. However, I do not appreciate having to wait for medication that is much needed for my pain when I was told it would be ready today. I tried calling to speak with a pharmacist about needing them today for my severe pain, but after having to wait for over 30 minutes, I have chosen to send this complaint instead. If this matter is not resolved, I will have no other choice but to send this matter to their corporate headquarters.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am a pain patient and see a pain Dr every month for follow up as well as medication management. (FDA regulations do not allow refills or more than a month’s worth and the order is send electronic directly to the pharmacy). I have been taking the generic ** made by Watson without any issues. Then one month I noticed the pills were still generic, but made by Mallinckrodt. I also noticed that my pain level for that month was higher than the last month and at times unbearable. I was having the side effect of itching on my arms and hands which I rarely experienced with the Watson product. I really didn’t think much about it and dismissed it as a bad month.

Now I’ve gone through the routine again and picking up my script which was filled with the original generic Watson. After the first week, I noticed that the itching I experienced last month had stopped and my pain was under control. This is when I did a little research and found a huge amount of information on the internet from patients experiencing the same issues with the pills manufactured by Mallinckrodt. I figured the pharmacy ran out of the Watson medication and used another manufacturer until their shipment arrived. Another 30 days go by when it’s refill time again and I discover that I have received the Mallinckrodt product once I’m home. So I called and spoke to a pharmacist and told her of my reaction to the Mallinckrodt product and asked that they note my account to use only the Watson brand.

That’s when she tells me that they had just signed a contract to get their meds from a new supplier and that they were using Mallinckrodt only. I did ask that they order the Watson generic for me due to my adverse reaction to the Mallinckrodt product. I was actually surprised that she said no and I had no other option. She didn’t try to help me with any suggestions, nor did she seem a bit concerned with my issue with the Mallinckrodt product. I then ask what name brand they carry that matches my script so I could have my Dr request what they did carry. She said she could not give me that information and that was the end of the conversation.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

The pharmacist manager Rod lost my prescription and was rude, unprofessional to me and stated he does not want to talk to me. The manager hang on me. Did want to write the doctor phone numbers for verification. Put on hold and never gets back to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Went to fill my ADHD med and the pharmacist noticed the address of my PCP. He asked me if location was correct. I replied, yes. He then asked if I worked there. I replied, no. He then said to me... "Seems far to drive just to see PCP." I replied, bothered by that remark, yeah...so. He then asked if I worked there again. I replied, "No and why do you need to know my place of employment?" His reply, "It's my job" and handed me back my prescription and told me to take it somewhere else.

I was shocked that a professional would act so unprofessional. I was in disbelief of what was happening. I then told him albeit, get upset the reason why I travel to PCP. I then pointed out I been a outstanding customer there for 4 years and never had any issues in the past. Things just got worse from there. He did not listen to me, then tried to put his bad behavior as my fault. He already discriminated against me the moment I handed him the rx. He did not take anything into consideration like looking up my purchase history of this particular medication, or that I been filling there for 4 years.

I am absolutely disgusted by James, the Pharmacist. To make things worse I tried filling a few days later and was told by a different tech that I cannot fill at Walgreens because I got into a altercation with the pharmacist. WTF, no I was trying to fill a rx and questioned his reasoning as to why he needed certain information. I would have been happy to give it but did not feel my place of employment was a needed info to fill a rx. I called him out on his BS and stood up for myself and I am the problem? Huh! Or is the type of person to treat woman unfair and say it is them. DISCRIMINATION.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Unfortunately I have to use this ridiculous company. I’m on 3 different medications that are delivered via mail. The one happens to be a controlled substance. I order two prescriptions over the weekend and different points online so got the one and never received the control substance that I run out of tomorrow. You can’t stop cold turkey. I pull up the tracker and find that the service mailed and delivered it to an address I have not lived at for YEARS!!! Now this person has my medicine and personal information. When I called I was told this is my fault because I placed it online! Really...really. I didn’t type my address in. It’s saved in your system.

Furthermore you shipped it to the right address in Dec. In Jan when I placed an order I saw after I ordered it that it was being shipped to that random address and I called immediately and asked why and to have it stopped and removed immediately and I was told it was done and I received my medicine. And again I received my other medicine 2 days ago which is a different prescription. But it’s my fault. This is now the 2nd time this has happen to me. And then I’m Told, “Well we can’t refill because you have to wait 30 days because insurance won’t approve it!!!” You can’t stop the medicine and you lost my medicine and charged me extra for 2 day shipping!!! Police Report will be filed tomorrow, board of health will be contacted, insurance and anyone else. This is wrong on so many levels. This company should be sued and ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Let me begin by saying this is a consistent problem with Walgreens Pharmacy. First, reaching them by phone is nearly impossible. Today alone, I was placed on hold for periods of 12 minutes up to 29, before I hung up in frustration. Again, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM EXPERIENCED ONLY TODAY! After many attempts to reach them I asked to confirm they had my refills ready and was told yes. When I went to the drive through there was another wait of 15 minutes. When I got to the window I was told they didn’t have enough of the meds to fill the entire order. So they gave me 2/3 of the quantity. Now, I had originally called about this on Monday evening.

I spoke to a pharmacist, not a technician. I asked if they had received the order from the doctor because I was planning on picking the med up on Tuesday morning. (I had run out on Monday night and this is a med you are NOT supposed to stop taking abruptly.) He checked and said the order was there and I could pick it up Tuesday morning. On Tuesday I called before I left to pick up the refill. I was then told THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK... They would have to order them and they would be there the following day.

Again, I am not supposed to stop taking these and I had been without on Tuesday and also Wednesday, as they did not get the order ready for pick up until nearly 3:00 on Wednesday. Then they only had half the order. To add to the problem, I had to pay a $50 co-pay for my partial order. They told me they had contacted the doctor and he will issue another order for the remaining pills. Of course I will have to pay ANOTHER $50 co-pay then. I called my insurance company and was told Walgreens should not have processed it in this manner. They said there is a process that Walgreens should have been aware of that would not result in me having to pay another co-pay. I am switching my pharmacy to a different business and will never give Walgreens another dime. THEY ARE TOTALLY INCOMPETENT!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Do not get a Rx filled with Walgreens before you check somewhere else! Go to a site like Goodrx or call any other pharmacy! One of my husband's drugs was over 200 dollars at Walgreens and most other pharmacies were charging 12 - 20 dollars! I found we have overpaid thousands of dollars! Besides poor customer service and plenty of mixups, we are done with Walgreens!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

First of all they don’t answer their phones. Second when they do answer, after 1/2 hour or so, they either transfer you or simply never come back to the phone. They don’t know how to charge durable medical prescriptions. They are rude in person. They are slow. They can’t find your prescriptions for 10 minutes. Walgreens will be going out of business soon because they have no quality control.I've been using Walgreens for 30 years, being a diabetic and 2 time transplant patient. They used to be a good pharmacy, but you can’t live on used to be’s.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

My neighbor (age 55) and I were in Walgreens today. She was ahead of me in line with her son buying a few things which included a pack of cigarettes. The cashier asked her for her ID which she said she left in the car, so the clerk said she couldn’t buy the cigarettes - I interrupted and said I’d pay for them since I had my DL. The clerk said I couldn’t do that so I asked for the manager who identified himself as “Blake.” He also refused to sell me the cigarettes. Blake had no way of knowing if we were married or if I was her father - he just refused to sell me the cigarettes! No problem Walgreens! Your store Manager just cost Walgreens a customer for life. Please cancel my Walgreens Membership and remove me from your database.

I will NEVER shop there again. I also called customer relations and filed a complaint. People like “Blake,” needs management classes to resolve simple issues but please know that his lack of common sense contributed to yet another customer leaving Walmart forever. I will cut and paste this review and post to every consumer review I can find! My Rewards Acct is **. Please cancel my membership.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Called this Walgreens on 153 in Hixson to ask if a prescription was in stock since my normal Walgreens said it would take at least 48 hours. The first person very rudely told me “they don’t give out that information over the phone” but didn’t explain why they couldn’t, also didn’t care to ask if I had a prescription. They put me on hold. 15 mins later a different rude person answered to tell me why they couldn’t give me the information.

When I tried to ask them if they could move the prescription from one Walgreens Pharmacy to the next I was met with interruptions of every sentence to the point where I raised my voice then was told they would hang up if I didn’t calm down. After getting the 2nd rude person to stop giving me all the reasons why they couldn’t give me any information about whether I could fill my prescription at this Walgreens she ended the call by saying “no we don’t have it in stock”. Yeah got the answer I needed but also checked this particular Walgreens off my list of ever getting my business.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

What can I say very disrespectful people work at this location (9000 Greenwood Avenue Niles, IL 60714. I came to exchange some pills that I bought couple days ago unused. Never opened. Went to the cashier and show them the new box and receipt. He told me, "Go pick up what you want and then come back. I'll exchange it for you. Fine. I went to pick up some ** and came back not even 5 minutes later. There was a lady paying in front of me. When I gave him what I wanted to buy he just charged me the full amount without deducting the one I returned. I asked him, "Excuse me but I have a return. Why are you charging me full amount." He then asked me "Who are you." I pointed the return and mentioned to "Pay more attention what you do since there was not even 5 minutes and you already don't remember."

He used the excuse since he didn't like it "don't yell at me" and once I told him that he does not do his job right he wanted to call police! I boiled inside then the manager came confirmed to call the police. I told them, "Go call the police. I didn't do nothing wrong." Disrespectful people! Finally manager took me on the side. Took care of me. We spoke about it. I even "apologized" and shook his hand but I do not deserve to be treated that way. The young punk does not deserve this job. Like a robot does not care whats going on in only 5 minutes! Imagine I treat my customer like that? I have been in my business over 30 years. Never ever I treated my customer like this disrespectful Walgreens employee.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently contacted the Walgreen Online Pharmacy to see if they could provide a non-coated tablet of ** so that it could be crushed and taken with applesauce. After some research the representative found the manufacturer that currently provided the non-coated tablet and confirmed the order. Several weeks later, after my current prescription was almost depleted, I contacted the online pharmacy and was told to call back and speak to the pharmacist who took the order. Not the answer I was hoping for but agreed to call back.

I called back again and the customer representative said that there appeared to be several manufacturers and that she would forward to the pharmacist. I would receive a callback. Ok. I received a message with a code to contact the online pharmacy. The pharmacist indicated that they could not find the non-coated tablet. If I could tell her the original manufacturer she would check. I explained that this information was already provided three times. The pharmacist said that there were no existing notes for the request and that if I wanted her to assist me I would have to provide the information. This was my first series of attempts to work with the Walgreen's Online Pharmacy and I will not be attempting to use them again... I will find a better pharmacy for my prescription needs.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Walgreens in Ridgecrest, CA pharmacy customer service chicks are rude and condescending and refuse to help. They have shorted me on my tablets three times, one time over a hundred pills short!!! Then proceeded to treat me like I was a liar!!! After gotten years as a customer I deserve better treatment!!! Transferred to Walmart!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Told I can pick up my prescription in an hour. I go to pick it up. "Oh sorry. We only have 1/2 of your prescription," and can’t tell me when my prescription will be ready! If I don’t have my medicine I could actually die. That is so messed up! They lied to me!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I recently changed insurance and had to transfer meds to Walgreens. They filled my correct insulin but gave me the wrong syringes and needles. When I returned them they said well they were filled offsite and they recently went from filling 400 to 700 prescriptions a day and don’t have enough staff. Like that makes it ok?

Next they entered my migraine medicine as 9 pills every 9 days instead of the correct amount of 9 pills in 1 month. They argued with me when I tried to get them to fix it. They even told me I could take 5 pills in 24 hours. I told them this could be deadly. They showed me the Rx which said 5 mg NOT 5 pills. They said they couldn’t fix it in the computer, it has to go to corporate. Of course they were closed. I have been an RN for over 40 years and never experienced such incompetence. I think it is dangerous to fill meds there.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I winter in Lakeland Florida. I've never had a problem using another branch of Walgreens, on Kathleen. Since I have lupus and cerebellar ataxia, I have a number of scripts to stay on top of. I submitted one refill electronically on a Tuesday. Receive a text it was ready to pick up. On Wednesday they said, no would be ready after 4 pm. Returned Thursday and they said I didnt have any refills. Went home and printed the Walgreens site indicating that I had 5 refills. Returned and as worker stared at his computer screen confused and uncommunicative, chatted with another worker who then said we'll have to call that doctor and quizzed me why the doctor's name was 'different' which I explained was the Physician's Assistant (guess they don't like those in Florida). Pharmacist comes over and indicates they'll have to fax the doctor. By now the doctor's office is closed and they've sat on it for 4 days. Meanwhile I'm out of my script and will be feeling it physically.

In retrospect, I think they perceived me as a 'drug abuser'. No eye contact. Poor body language. Lack of customer service skills As an ataxian with less than perfect body presentation, why am I placed on the defensive? Why are my doctors scripts not treated with more respect? I told the pharmacist they were not encouraging trust. I asked what was really going on here, with no response on their part.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been at the pharmacy for 4 years. One Pharmacist is excellent (a young man, glasses) and always "fixes" the other staff members mistakes. My wife dropped of a prescription in a Walgreens in Puerto Rico. and I pick it up at the above Walgreens. Been doing it for 4 years. Lately, staff members are making mistakes after mistakes. The young man called on 1/9 that my prescription was approved, but only had 20 out of 120 pills. He would have the full quantity the next day. So I indicated would go the next day.

The next day I started receiving messages from this Walgreens that the prescription was declined by plan, reason: "too soon to refill". This was not a refill, but an original prescription without refills. My wife calls plan and was told that the prescription was approved on 1/9 and re-submitted by the Walgreens #5902 again on 1/10. And rejected. My wife was given a phone # and claim # to call.

I called Walgreens to give the phone and claim #. A lady called Veenum told me that she had she had been a pharmacist for 21 years and "do not tell me how to do my job". I guess somehow should tell her how to do her job right. Attitude. I am out of pill and no idea when I will get this prescription filled. I am getting my pills and never returning to this store anymore. Regards.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I went to pick up a vial of my testosterone at the Walgreens Pharmacy in Milton, Washington. After we waited for a little while, the pharmacists told me I shouldn't have run out of testosterone yet, which I had not but had approximately 2 doses left of. I live in a different city and wanted to pick it up early so I didn't have to come back, which I've never had an issue with before, because my doctor wrote me a prescription with two refills on it on purpose, since she was aware of my situation.

Rather than explaining, this so called "policy", on a "controlled substance", the pharmacist, whose name was DARRIN, was incredibly condescending and unkind. When we continued to ask questions of him and try to figure something out, he threw a fit and refused to offer help or solutions, telling me that my reason for coming early, was not a good enough "excuse". In the past, I have had transphobic and rude pharmacists, but every time we were able to find a solution, so that I could get my prescription. I would not want any trans people to have to deal with this pharmacist or any of the other rude pharmacists who work at this Walgreens, because I have always walked away feeling frustrated and upset in my interactions, whether I received my prescription or not.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Total store screw up but mostly pharmacy. Store steals my rewards. Rude people. Don't understand English. Argue constantly about scripts and they have been wrong 100%. Yell at me when they messed up my blood pressure meds. Time to find another pharmacy!! Overall between the store and pharmacy you can and will be disappointed!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Recently switched insurance to get access to Walgreens which I considered a better option than Walmart. My doctor sends three prescriptions at 1 pm and pharmacy said would be available at 5 pm. Went to pick up at 6 pm, told would be 15 min, went to buy groceries, came back at 7:15 pm, told would be 15 min because they had lost a class 2 prescription and were looking for it. I said I would come the next day. I came back at 11 am and was told 15 min, pharmacist miraculously handed me my meds 30 seconds later when I asked for the corporate complaint number. This is just the latest example of ineptitude in the last 3 months. I wish I had stayed with Walmart, the only issue with them was sometimes having to wait in line.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Poor inventory, terrible hours and no backup when someone doesn’t show up. I have been having problems for months. Yesterday my wife left the hospital. Walgreens screwed around with her prescriptions. When I called they said I had to wait until Monday 2 and a half days for her heart medication. I had to go to another store to get a partial prescription and it goes on and on. STORE IS ON 228 PA. MARS PA.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs