Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5
Based on 2,538 ratings submitted in the last year

Walgreens Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

Several weeks ago I called Walgreens to report an issue regarding a Walgreens branded product that didn't perform to expectations. I was referred to the manufacturer. It had been several weeks and I hadn't heard anything from the manufacturer; when I called them to check on the status of my report, they said that refunds needed to come from Walgreens. So, I called Walgreens customer service department again and explained the situation. This time I didn't get the runaround and was pleasantly surprised when the representative promptly and cheerfully "deposited points" into my rewards account, enough points to cover the cost of the branded product that did not meet my expectations.

The reason I've designated the experience as only "4-stars" instead of five is because although the experience speaking to the representative was very pleasant and I am happy to have received points, it's not a "100% satisfied" situation to me because of how the Walgreens rewards program currently works. My understanding is that now when points are built up, you can't use a whole lot of them in one transaction; points seem to work more like coupons now where perhaps the most you can apply to a transaction is maybe only $5.00. If $5.00 is the maximum that can be redeemed in a single transaction, that wouldn't be enough to even cover the replacement cost of the unsatisfactory product in the Walgreens brand, much less to purchase a name brand replacement.

Yes, they've awarded points to cover the cost spent for the unsatisfactory product (and even with extra points beyond -- for which I am grateful!) but it would be better to be able to just get a free replacement product and not have to pay sales tax twice (once on the original unsatisfactory item and again when it's a new sale for the replacement, but with points that work like a coupon). (Tax generally isn't collected on even exchanges.) If all the points received could be redeemed all at once, then that would be a five-star experience!

Original review: March 21, 2019

There are a lot of advantages to using the Walgreens Pharmacy. These advantages include in-store and drive-through service at most locations, 24-hour service at many locations, as well as reasonable wait time and knowledgeable pharmacists. They also have an easy to use phone system for re-ordering prescriptions as well as an option for auto filling prescriptions you need regularly. They do have one issue I find frustrating when encountered. The first is when they run out of my medication I use monthly. They know I need it every month and yet don’t have it when time to reorder.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I rely on Walgreens Pharmacy, in particular, because of its convenient location; they offer home delivery from the (physical) store/through the mail; in the twelve years (approximately) that I have patronized Walgreens there have been maybe 3 errors regarding my prescriptions, very efficient -- the pharmacy personnel are friendly, and really seem to care... Switched from Walmart Pharmacy years (12) ago; the personnel there were uncaring, and even dismissive at times, even when *they* were the cause of a mistake; the lines would be extremely long and the personnel would work at a snail's pace -- although not perfect either, Walgreens has been a refreshing alternative...

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was with CVS for 3 years and kept switching pharmacies hoping that the next would be better than the last. They weren’t. I kept debating about whether to switch to Walgreens and finally did. I’ve been with Walgreens for about a year and a half now. They are Sooo much better than any of the CVS pharmacies I was with. Mine actually has a drive through pick up which makes it extra nice. The pharmacy is consistent with my meds, never had an error in the entire time I’ve been with them, and they are quick with the Dr approvals. I should have switched to Walgreens years ago!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Pharmacist on duty at that time was inconsiderate and unprofessional. Repeat of attitude from month before. We are going on a trip, needed to have sleeping pill order filled early. First answer was they did not have enough to fill order. Second answer was my request was too early. Seems to delight in giving customers a hard time. My script bottle indicated I had it filled 2/6/19, but apparently I am at fault for February only having 28 days. I don't know how Walgreens compensates for months that have 31 days. Normal service from pharmacists at this location are very good to excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Treated so rudely on several occasions by a pharmacy assistant at my local Walgreens in Effingham, IL, that I never will fill a prescription there again. Management should address the issue as there are multiple Google reviewers with similar experiences at this location.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

As we start a new year people on a fixed income can't afford their prescriptions. Commercials on TV act like the pharmacy is helping people get their prescriptions at the best price. My Mother lives in Oakland MD and she was told by Walgreens that it was illegal to use Goodrx for pain meds. I called Goodrx and that is an outright lie. It's up to the Pharmacist. So in my Mom's case they want her to pay 297.00 for her pain meds and they won't let her use Goodrx to get it for a third of the price. Shame on you Walgreens.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

The customer service today was terrible. I called my prescription in yesterday and they said I could pick it up at 10 today, then no, I couldn't get it until 1 in the afternoon. I called to find out what was happening and they said drive right over, but not until I was ready to pay did they say that I couldn't refill it until the end of the month, which is very strange, and never happened before with any prescription.

The employee was an absolute attitude problem waiting to happen, which I'd normally ignore, but on top of all this runaround... I've also had a stressful day and I don't act like that. Walgreens, can't you do better? This especially upsets me since my ear and sinus infection is very bad, triggering awful migraines, and the meds help keep the pressure down. Yet the employee was actually sneering at me, almost daring me to complain. Not something I was expecting from anyone, much less someone whose job this is.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This is the third time, a Walgreens cashier has stolen from me. The first two times I caught the overcharging theft as soon as I left the store and immediately returned to have it corrected. This time I had walked all the way home and started putting my items away when I looked at the receipt and saw the scam. I contact Walgreens via customer service chat and was disconnected and told to walk all the way back to the store despite my disability and exhaustion and it being nighttime. I was even charged for an item I did not buy and overcharged again because the cashier did something and lost the scan of my savings card.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Walgreens, Groton, CT, Long Hill Road location. Every month this Pharmacy location seems to believe they have a right to delay or withhold medications that they believe a customer shouldn't be on. Every month I get a notification saying I'm delayed for UNTRUE reasons. Because I was nice enough to authorize a partial substitute with an off-brand once due to their stock issues, now they do it all the time and sometimes the whole script, I ask them not to anymore and they say because I authorized it now my doctor has to tell them to no longer substitute it.

11/07/19 they leave a vm saying delayed and need authorization from the doctors, I call the doctors and they deny this or any contact from walgreens, 12/04/19 Walgreens vm delayed for insurance issue, contact insurance and again UNTRUE and ALREADY CHARGED, I contact walgreeens and they SAY they are REALLY DELAYED because they were delayed FOR LIES last month so now I'M DELAYED to pick up this month, they don't care if it's paid for already, they hold it based on last month's pick up date which THEY DELAYED! My doc now had to call an change the script!!

12/28/19 Walgreens delayed for insurance issues again UNTRUE, I called and spoke to Andrea the pharmacist on 12/30 who tells me that it's REALLY DELAYED cause my doctors called "per Ashley" and told them not to fill it until the 11th, WHAT! I call the doctors and they say that's not true, they call walgreens and walgreens never says to them anything about Ashley the receptionist and instead tells them that THEY WON'T give it to me because I have to finish the first script in full WHAT! This was a change to the last script given to me the month before because I'm pregnant and they were making me sick and throwing up so this is a different medication and a specific medication and brand!!

Andrea then tells me that I SHOULD HAVE INFORMED THEM THAT I'M PREGNANT...WHAT!! And that I can’t have a script that is there waiting for me which is **, WHAT! Who the he!! does this idiot think she is that customers should have to disclose to them medical conditions! A Yale New Haven prenatal specialist sent over that script but yet this glorified pill dispenser is telling me she somehow knows more than the kind of education a Yale baby doctor would have!! She doesn’t know why it was prescribed NOR SHOULD SHE!

I dare Andrea to call this ACTUAL DOCTOR and tell her that she needs to explain to Andrea why she prescribed that for me and tell this specialist that they should have told Andrea I'm pregnant cause I would love to hear what this ACTUAL doctor would say in response!! What kind of a narcissist do you have to be to think that customers to walgreens or doctors have to tell you their medical issues before they can have a script so that you THE PHARMACY can decide if the script is accurate!!! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO VIOLATE A CUSTOMER'S PRIVACY, you have no right to hold my medications because you were unaware of my medical issues, you have no right to hold my medications until you find out why they were prescribed!!

The days when you would worry about getting your script or wondering if insurance would cover it GONE, now your biggest concern is if walgreens' pharmacist who wanna play DOCTOR think you should be on the medication because if they think you shouldn't be on it, they will delay them, hold them, lie to you, put you through hell every month or just not give them to you AT ALL! My pregnancy is high risk and if I end up in the hospital due to stress or from not having the medications that walgreens are playing games with every month which is easily proven by all the “delayed” voicemails for lies, I will come for walgreens!!

I've been with the same doctors for 10 years and this same pharmacy for 10 years, 4 years ago this place was staffed with the most amazing pharmacist and assistants and now the ones here are wannabe DOCTORS and NOT in any way that would help a customer, huge difference compared to 4 years ago when I probably trusted those pharmacist more than my doctors.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team