1.48/5
Based on 145 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1495 Walgreens Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

Two day ago I call requesting my mother medication. I was inform request for refills were going to be call in to Dr. Office and it will take 48 to 72 hours for Dr. To respond (wish I know) but I call today just to check to see maybe we were lucky and Dr. had call in medication requested. The customer services person on the phone line services (not the store) inform me NO request was on fill and a request will be submit AGAIN.

After that and not being happy how things were handle I request to speak to a manager or a complain department. It took 4 attempts to speak to someone regarding my complain. I was told I would be contact regarding my situation. For whatever reason I knew I had to call the actual store regarding the refill request and even with the second request I was inform by the store customer service NO second request was submit either. I have never had any issue with in store customer services but on phone customer services yes. So today was the day I say I need to do something and need it to give a bad review. Walgreens phone line services is no good.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Unfortunately, Walgreens bought out Rite-Aid and all my prescriptions were supposed to be transferred seamlessly to the Walgreens across the street. I went to pick up my first prescription renewal with them and waited 40 minutes for them to find my order, even though I had already received a text message and 2 phone messages that my prescription was ready for pickup. Very poor organization and lamentable customer service.

Upon getting home this evening and opening my bag from Walgreens, I discover that the enclosed medication is for someone else and, instead of a prescription for my cholesterol, I had an anti-depressant for someone else. Now I have to go back to the pharmacy tomorrow morning and wait in the interminable line to get my medication for which I missed my dose tonight. Maybe it's time to look into another more capable pharmacy. Having been with the same Rite-Aid for over 20 years (even when it was then called Eckerd's), I always enjoyed personal and competent service. Not the case with Walgreens. Lamentable and dangerous. Luckily I checked the bottle before taking my pill!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 19, 2018

I have multiple severe health issues including a terminal one. I filled my script and didn't pay much attention to it until 9 days later I noticed bottle was low. I keep all my meds in safe due to 2 yr old grandson. I spoke to pharmacist showing him the bottle was too small to fit the amount and that in all the time I've been on these. I have never had an issue or request for early fill. He rolled his eyes and told me to come back Mon and speak to pharmacy manager which I did. He said he would get back to me in a few days. It has now been 5 days and nothing. I'm now going through severe withdrawal and most likely will have to go to hospital to be admitted. I have a serious heart condition. I called corporate which did nothing. I reported it to the police as well. My next call is a lawyer. 89 people in the Nashville area have had meds shorted by this pharmacy.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I was given a prescription for cough medicine with ** for my bronchitis. It was for 120 mls. After only taking 5 doses (totaling 50 ml), I noticed I only had 20 ml left. So they had shorted me 50ml. I contacted them as soon as I noticed and they made me drive to the store while sick and feverish. I sat there waiting for 30 minutes while they called the person who filled it. That person swore he filled it to 120ml and they just took his word for it. No one checked cameras, just believed him and basically accused me of lying about it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Almost every time I show up to pick up a prescription something changes without notice or a written sign. First was needed an ID, then was asked for my SS number that I refused. Even though I've been coming here for 12 years. Now today the new policy is to wait ONE & 1/2 HOURS for any prescription!!! Going to be looking for another pharmacy after today! If it takes almost 2 hours to fill one prescription I think they should hire more people to help with fill times. I generally only wait 5 to 15 minutes. What will be their next new policy?!?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: July 12, 2018

Waited 10 days for Rx. Never got it. Was told to be patient and not in such a hurry. They also claimed communicating with my Dr. Big lie. While I was at counter had Dr. office on phone. They refused to speak to him. Said couldn't touch my phone. Well apparently they can't hear on speakerphone. I now have to find a new doctor because day 10 I exploded on him and Walgreens, also guys for those of you who haven't heard they now own Rite Aid so be careful switching pharmacies, doesn't matter which one. They're all the same. The only one worse is CVS.

Original review: July 11, 2018

There is a traveling pharmacist that works at the Irondale location off of Montclair Road in Alabama from time to time, and unfortunately out of the past 2 times I’ve come here I had to encounter her. I’m not quite sure what her name is, but has thin long brown hair and about 5’11”. I’m aware of Walgreens “policies” - should truly called fabricated policies. I’m prescribed ** for my narcolepsy - a neurological disorder that greatly effects my sleep and daily function in life. My first encounter with this lady she refused to refill my prescription because *HER* policy is 2-days prior. And she clearly needs to be educated on the fact that *HER* policy is false seeing as it is a 4-days prior to the last date filled that I can get it. All other pharmacists that have worked here or at other locations have all said the same thing as well as my insurance.

My second encounter happened this afternoon when I went to go get my prescription filled early since I’m leaving for out of the country this week. Obviously I can’t get my medicine overseas (you’d think she’d use her brain to realize that). Before even calling my doctor, I spoke with my insurance and was cleared for my early refill. I then called my doctor and explained what was happening and I got the approval and picked up my prescription. After this, I came to this pharmacy and was waiting on it while it got filled. Well over 30 minutes had passed and luckily one of the employees that knows us asked us if we were still waiting. Turns out that they felt that it was too early to refill my prescription and trying to make me feel dumb for even trying. Well, obviously I’m filling it early for a reason!

They let me sit there for over 30 minutes clearly trying to avoid telling me this, but I didn’t let this affect me. Now what did affect me was this “pharmacist” trying to tell me that they need to speak with my doctor to make sure it was approved. ** is a controlled substance and that means a physical prescription - no call ins, no automatic refills. I’m not quite sure if this lady has poor education or just zero common sense, but obviously I had a physical prescription that I had given to them. That is literally your proof that it was approved by my doctor. So, since SHE FELT that she needed verbal approval, they didn’t fill my prescription. All while saying this to me with a distinct condescending tone.

Walgreens apparently feels that their pharmacists should be allowed to police people. And that is far from being okay. I do not appreciate feeling judged and/or discriminated against due to the medication that I take and the countless other stories I have found about other Walgreens pharmacies. She has delayed me TWICE in my medication that is vital to me to function daily and normally. I can’t imagine how many others she has done this to as well, but it is NOT okay. It is in fact disgusting that she is allowed to still be a pharmacist for Walgreens let alone a pharmacist at all.

It is so wrong that pharmacists feel they are allowed to act like they are doctors or police. It is wrong for a company to allow pharmacists to act as a doctor or police. You are neither. You fill medication and give advice on how medications can affect you. That’s it. That’s all. Walgreens needs to change their “policies” or I feel that a very large lawsuit is about to headed their way.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I returned to using WalMart. Better service for everything. Including lower prices/cost of my meds. Being handicapped too difficult to go inside store. Always a long 1/2 waiting time to use drive thru window... 1 of the 2 lanes ought to be for handicapped only, but isn't. The store is understaffed (been told that by pharmacy staff as well and the clerks). Good Bye WG... FYI - WG is installing drive thru in the near future as well... For the Lake Geneva, WI. store... 53147.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Completely discriminated against & singled out due to the medication that I take, refill times are different for me at this store than anyone else, rules are different for me each month depending on what mood the pharmacist is in, completely disrespectful on the phone and in person, the treatment I’ve been subjected to has been ridiculous and would never be acceptable at any other business in the USA!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I went to get a prescription for my wife and they wanted to charge me $70 and I had already paid $40 and I told the lady that. Well it seems we did the same thing last month which each month's total was $110 each month. She went on to tell that that was what it was supposed to be and I said, "Lady I know what I pay," (being very angry at this point) so I asked to speak with the manager which I did & didn't get anywhere (she was new to the job). Anyway when I got home I called corporate office & told them the dilemma and they said they would research it and call me back. I waited a day and they called from the store I was shopping at and informed me they owed me $80 which I got the next day. Well I found out the next few days the way they charged me was illegal, what they were supposed to do is give me the partial & not charge me until I picked up the remainder.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I contacted a Walgreens location in Pensacola, Florida on 9th & Cervantes approximately 10 hours ago to transfer a prescription from a Georgia Rite Aid, to Florida for my son who is visiting his grandparents for the summer. I initially spoke with a very pleasant lady, who took all of my info, and then assured me that someone would contact me within 2 hours to let me know what the copay could be. Nearly five hours later, and no one had called, so I called again, and I was told by a gentleman that they were “still working on it,” but that my insurance had “done their part,” and they just needed to finish filling the prescription, but it would definitely be ready by 4:45pm, and someone would be calling me to give me the copay details... 4:45 came and went, and no one called. I called back 2 hours later, and the automated system said that they were “still working on my order”, and to call back in about an hour.

I hung up and called RIGHT back to speak to an actual person, at which point I was connected to an INCREDIBLY RUDE, and unprofessional pharmacist by the name of “Chris”. I did my best to explain my situation to Chris, but he is one of those people who allow you to get maybe 5 words in before loudly and rudely talking over and dismissing you. Chris blatantly lied and told me that they’d been waiting for ME to contact THEM because my insurance declined to cover the prescription-despite the fact that their OWN automated system had JUST stated that they were still working on it, and instructed me to call back in an hour, and despite the fact that my son has been on this prescription for years, and we’ve NEVER had an issue with Tricare (Military insurance).

He then proceeds to rudely tell me how busy he is, and that in the time he’s been on the phone with me (approx. 4-5 minutes by that time) he could have taken care of 40 prescriptions and that my expectations of someone calling me back were unrealistic... even though it was Walgreens own employees who had told me that someone would be calling. He made me feel as though my concerns were completely unimportant to him - as if I wasn’t ONE OF those customers who also needed their prescription filled. When I offered to call the insurance company myself to find out what the problem was, he “suddenly” saw an update in the system with indicated they were “working” with the insurance company, and that the automated system would probably be calling me back within an hour to let me know that the prescription was ready. That was 2 hours ago, and no one has called.

The sun has literally gone down, and my son still doesn’t have his medication, despite the fact that this process began this morning, and was supposed to take 2 hours at the most. I just called back a few minutes ago, and once again, the automated system is STILL saying “we’re still working on it, please call back in about an hour.” I then called again to speak with an actual person, and ask the name of the pharmacist on duty, and was told “Chris”, but when I asked for his last name, the woman on the phone asked “Where are you calling from?”

I told her I was calling from Georgia, and needed to know his name because I was about to file a complaint against him, at which point she said “Well, I can’t tell you my pharmacist’s last name,” which is fine, because once I file my official complaint with the corporate offices, I’m sure they’ll figure out Mr. Chris’ last name... not to mention that it’ll likely be printed on my son’s prescription label, IF he EVER happens to get his medication! Walgreens is a joke-of-a-pharmacy, and they have demonstrated to me unequivocally that they couldn’t care less about the needs of their customers. This is my first negative experience with them, and it will definitely be my last, because I’ll never patronize their awful store again!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Dropped off prescription after waiting hour and half. Then they call. Say it was ready. I sent my dad pick it up. And they send him to three different stores two different towns. Their employee was mad because I complained waiting hour and half to drop off prescription. I ended up in hospital for 5 days with infection because I did not have my meds. Sending my dad three stores after they said it ready. Playing games with my life.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Walgreens denied me script of ** after verifying script with dr office and providing DL. Walgreens personnel are being allowed to be the police of people. If a person has a valid script, who is Walgreens, that supposedly serves the public think they are? This isn’t about pharmacists. It’s about allowing employees from a lousy chain decide other people's lives and that’s not their job. Will never step foot in Walgreens again!

Original review: June 24, 2018

The Cheyenne and Rampart pharmacy used to be a great pharmacy, up until they decided to start making the decision to stop filling my prescriptions. When I'm experiencing severe pain from old work injuries and a motorcycle head-on collision accident, it's not fair that they decide who receives their medication or not. I can completely understand that they have been cracking down on the usage of controlled medication, but when there's nothing else a patient can do to help eliminate the pain, it's like they don't care how much a patient will have to suffer without their meds.

Considering I'm on a fixed income and disabled, I'm not able to locate another pharmacy who will, especially only to discover that other pharmacies are refusing to refill my prescriptions. If they're going to start deciding who can and who cannot receive their much needed medication, then I am inclined to say that they will also be included in the discrimination lawsuit that will be filed. What's the purpose of running a pharmacy if a patient can't have their prescriptions refilled?

Original review: June 24, 2018

The pharmacist is very unprofessional. She writes notes on your hard copy prescription after you tell her don't write on it. Even if your insurance goes through she still won't fill it because she goes back and see how many times you got it early. She act like she is a doctor.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I've ordered online for years with Walgreens w/o problems. I block the Rx I don't want, however, Alliance keeps charging my bank card for Rx already blocked. For the last 2 hrs. I have been calling Alliance but cannot get through.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Went to get some pictures made today and management was called to the front to help me... She stayed by me for about a min or 2 then called a cashier to come help me. The cashier did not know much then she walked off and I had to ask a customer to please help me. The customer told me they have rude people that work in this store and they never want to help anyone. I found that out myself. I never complain before I just let it slide when I have been in there before today.

Today was the icing on the cake... rude and poor management. The management was called to the front of the store about 20 mins later as the customer was helping me with the pictures and she never came to the front to help a customer with questions she had about something that happened the day before with some make up sale. That customer was some hot... When I left I was not happy because I really do not even know if the customer and I did the picture order correct but when I go back to get my pictures if they are not right. I am not paying for those and I will go to CVS before going back there... That store should have been reported years ago... Someone should go in there with hidden cameras to see the way customers are being treated.

Original review: June 15, 2018

About 3 or 4 days ago I went to buy hearing aid batteries. I told the lady that I wasn't sure they were the right size and she said that you can bring them back. So they weren't the right size so I brought them back. When I brought them back they only gave me $5 and change versus $7 and some change... they shorted me $3. They gave me $3 in a gift card. He said this store policy... well I've never heard of that before. I had taken stuff back before and never had this problem. She said because of the reward $3 of the reward points went on the card and I'm like that's not cool. I said I had the receipt. I really bought in this to a few days ago and when I told the lady that the I don't know if these will fit she said I could bring them back.

She never told me I was only going to get back so much money and $3 of a gift card. I told her to take back the points. I also told her I don't shop at Walgreens. I don't need anything for $3 at Walgreens. This is totally a rip-off and I will never be going back to Walgreens. I am going to be posting this on Facebook. I'm going to be complaining. I am putting them on blast because this is total stealing from customers. $3 but they made out of my money that I paid money for... so if people don't end up using that $3 card and they have made out $3 that is stealing.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I ordered a prescription online on the 8th June 2018. Online asked for the prescription to be ready by 10 AM on the 9th, the online application concurred. I got to Walgreens about 11:30 AM on the 9th, but the prescription was not ready. I had to be somewhere by noon that day and could not return until after they closed. I left and since I'm on insulin, Walgreens by not fulfilling their obligation put my well being in jeopardy. I will be looking for a new pharmacy and will contact AARP as well.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I'm not surprised to see this many unhappy customers of Walgreens pharmacy; I'm now one of them. My mother was assured by her doctor while in the hospital that he would send her PX to Walgreens. THREE days after being released from the hospital she finds that Walgreens still has no PX for her. First she calls the automated line, which informs her there are no meds for her. Then she speaks with a rep at the store on the phone, who also tells her they have nothing there for her. Fortunately she received a courtesy call from the hospital when she got off the phone with Walgreens and she is able to tell them about her PX.

The hospital rep said she would call Walgreens immediately. Within minutes she calls my Mom back and said Walgreens told her, "Yes, we have a PX for Mrs **". What is going on with these people? This is not the first time she has had issues with them. She also has received robocalls in the past saying a PX is ready, but when she gets to the pharmacy they tell her they have nothing for her! Or she is told it is too early to pick up a certain PX because it was just filled the previous week (it wasn't). So what is a sick person to do? I'm extremely upset because they are playing with people's lives--this is completely unacceptable!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Walgreens Pharmacy at Pembroke and Mercury Blvd. - This place is a nightmare, they change prices at their convenience, are extremely rude, not professional at all. Walgreens needs to clear that staff out, and get some good help or this will be closed down soon.... Go the extra 1/2 mile and visit CVS, little more expensive but if you want to be treated with respect you will.

Original review: June 7, 2018

They lie to you when they say they've called your doctor and is waiting to hear back. The Doctor's never get any phone calls. I gave them a GoodRx card to use for my medication. They said they added the coupon to everything. Later I find out they did not! THEY DELIBERATELY LIED TO MY FACE! My family has been with them 20+ years and their pharmacist have been getting worse and worse! We will be looking into another pharmacy to use. We will not keep being lied to!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Phone recordings are poorly planned, annoying and waste too much of my time. Walgreens Pharmacy staff refuses to give cost unless they have a script. Others are more responsive and allow me to shop for lowest cost. Store stock is poor, although shelf is EMPTY if I ask they go in back and bring out what is NOT ON THE SHELF. Poor way to run a retail store. Often have lines at check out and slow to send someone to open another register. Pharmacy sends out phone messages for refills of one time prescriptions. Often out of advertised sale items on second day. When asked they say “That’s all THEY sent." Who is THEY? Wife was in store, asked if they had Flu shot. They said YES. Came home and got me (4 blocks away) when asked for a flu shoot they said “sorry no”. Can’t trust staff to be clear. To put it bluntly you can’t count on the Lombard store. Often disappoints.

Original review: June 2, 2018

During your wait time they acknowledge you. Once they take your prescription order they advise you of the time it should take for your prescription to be ready for pickup. Walgreens is more personable. They ask if you have any questions for the pharmacist? They will try to assist you when you need help.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The Walgreens Pharmacy is close to my home. They are prompt and polite. The price is high but they all are. They keep us well informed as to what is available new for my condition.

Original review: May 28, 2018

My prescription was sent in by the Dr. on Saturday, but I was sick and couldn't pick it up until Sunday. Well they close early on Sunday--ok, but not to open even for several hours on Monday? CVS does. I have to travel late Monday night so I cannot pick up my prescription. I will not deal with them again.

Original review: May 25, 2018

After my doctor moved his practice I wanted to continue using Walgreens for my prescription needs. I have been a customer for about 10 years. I went to Walgreens store #6157 because it was closer to my house. I am taking pain medication due to several accidents and have been on Social Security Disability since October 2008. When I presented my prescription to the person at the pharmacy she made a comment that in the future this could be a problem because my doctor now practiced at an Urgent Care, that also provides family medicine. I was told that the nature of Urgent Care in her opinion should write prescriptions for a month. I was told that they would have to verify the prescription because I had never been to this particular Walgreens. They said that it would be about an hour and a half. I decided to wait. After about 30 minutes the pharmacist said that they were waiting for the doctors office to reply.

After another 45 minutes they said that they still had not received a reply so I called my doctor. They said that they had not received any requests. The pharmacist had contacted the office where my doctor previously practiced. He became visibly upset when I told him this. I gave phone to the pharmacist who at this point was becoming increasingly agitated. He said that he needed to have the doctors diagnosis and the treatment plan before he would fill the prescription. When the pharmacist returned my phone they told me that the pharmacist seemed to have an attitude. He then stated that he would not fill the prescription and hesitated on returning the prescription to me, I had to ask for him to return it. When I asked for his name he refused to provide it and said to call the manager.

I did not know that the pharmacist was able to make diagnosis and could question a doctors prescription. The same doctor that has been writing the same prescription for almost 8 years. I have filed a complaint with Walgreens and the California State Board of Pharmacy. I was shocked by the treatment that I received after the pharmacist laughed at me and flat out said that he would do nothing to help me. I am a disabled vet and was at the store with my service animal who was so traumatized by the pharmacists tone and behavior that the dog started to shake uncontrollably. I ended up driving about 14 miles to my previous Walgreen location and had my prescription filled within 10 minutes.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My husband is diabetic and needs take insulin every day. He ran out of his syringes and I went to Walgreens to buy them. The girl who waited on me said it would cost $100 dollars for 100 syringes. I have never spent that much before for his syringes. I ended up going to Walmart where it cost me around 14 dollars for 100 syringes. I told a number of people and they said to call Walgreens back and check since their price sounded wrong. I talked to the pharmacist and he told me it wasn't $100.00 but only $19.00. I almost gave this girl a hundred dollars because my husband needed his insulin. My husband has been very ill and this added so much more stress onto our lives. Be very careful when dealing with Walgreens. I will never go there again after this.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I picked up the prescribed medicine for my child. Without even telling me, the one (Adam) who gave me the meds also gave an old prescribed medicine which the doctor told not to take. As soon as I left the pick up drive thru, I noticed that and I called them to return. They said they can’t accept it. They should refund in such cases. They refused to take it back. Very disappointed for this reason. This is how they make money? By cheating customers? So unsupportive! Or they should ask when they hand over the medicine at least in those cases. If it would have been long, then I should not have asked. I just took the medicine.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I am a bone marrow transplant patient, for ease and convenience usually use Chronoscripts a Walgreens pharmacy. Today was an exception, my doctor at Sylvester Cancer Center in Miami submitted an electronic prescription at 3ish today for an antihistamine and magic mouth rinse to the Walgreens on SW 137 Ave. & 8 ST. Miami Fl. My husband went to pick up the meds at 8 pm, was told prescription was not ready, to go back in an hour - on the side the pharmacist made a comment to the pharmacy technician, said, "An hour was not enough time, we have too much to do, can't you see how much work we have?"

I waited over an hour and called to confirm meds were ready for pick up, calls are answered by a call center, the person told me the meds should have been ready at 7 and proceeded to transfer me to the pharmacy... ** answered, I provided my information and he said they didn't have any messages, I clarified the hospital always submits the prescriptions electronically, he checked & found it... but said it was the same prescription twice for the magic rinse, said they're unable to prepare it because the specifics were not provided. I couldn't believe my ears, I asked for the pharmacy manager, he said the pharmacist's name is **.

I expressed my discontent, not even a courtesy call was made to me, no regard for the client! A few minutes later as I had started to write this review, I received a call from the young men I spoke to, said they found the antihistamine prescription (like magic) and it was ready for pick up. In as much as I know it will help me pass this evening until I see my doctor tomorrow, I WILL NOT be picking up my med, it's now 10:04 pm est - not today, not ever. This is not my first terrible experience at this neighborhood pharmacy but I assure it's the last. Disappointed yet again.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs