2.33/5
  • 1 star
Based on 278 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

1413 Walgreens Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Walgreens 1723 Broadway st. Quincy, IL - I have complained several times. It does no good. Someone is pocketing cash somewhere and this Luke is playing doctor. He is not and would never be my doctor. Was he in the room with my doctor, his nurse and myself today? I didn't see him... so how could he know anything. Making me wait pretty much all day and mess up the paperwork (actually lied to my doctor... I did NOT pick up a 30 day supply but a QUANTITY of 30 to be taken TWO TIMES A DAY... which if you can do grade school division is 15. Picked last script up on November 29th, not the 28th, like he stated to one of the nurses and today is Dec 14th.). I'm fed up. They owe me money from cash scripts and I will be talking to an attorney.

I have kept ALL my script receipts and there's a noticeable pattern. Advice to others that have to use this pharmacy, SEE Carol the pharm manager personally but NEVER trust them until you have physically had your medicine in your hand. Then... I beg you to open it and count it. Quite a few people, other than but also including myself have had scripts come up short. I do not know what the issue is but it's not only unprofessional now, it's unethical.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I am disgusted at the level of your service. I ordered stuff online... Without my knowledge or consent it was cancelled. Yet my bank account was debited and the money not refunded. I find this practice unfair, unethical and unprofessional. “Welcome to Walgreens” has a complete new meaning to me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was given a prescription today for ** tablets and headed out to Walgreens. I must mention I don't have medical insurance and I was going to pay out of pocket. They would've charged me $81 plus tax. My physician mentioned the costs should be in between $12-15 for cash customers. Shocked by the sticker price, I drove to a neighborhood pharmacy 2 miles away where I paid $8 total for same prescription. WALGREENS WANTED TO CHARGE ME 10x MORE!!! I submitted a copy of the receipt. This is grand robbery and it should be illegal. People should know about these thieves. Avoid like the plague!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Walgreens's management has decided to maximize profits at the expense of your wait time. They will not hire enough people to provide an acceptable customer response. Every time I go in there is a long line, and the car drive through is an experience in frustration. Last Sunday I tried to use the drive thru, and after 10 minutes as the only one in line, someone finally responded (1 person on duty). My advice is to find another pharmacy. If that is not possible, try to figure out a time when they are not so busy (busy times here are lunch hour, after work, and the weekend).

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Walgreens Pharmacy failed to notify me that my mail order refill for my heart medication was on back order. As a result, I ran out of the medication, and had to contact them to find out what happened. Only then did they tell me it had been on back order, and had just been filled and mailed out the day before, after my prescription had run out. I was told it would take 7-10 days to receive the order in the mail (how could they not know I was out of medicine and ship it overnight!), and I would have to go to the pharmacy to request an emergency supply. I am closing my account with them. Always a long wait to pick up prescriptions at the store, lack of staff. Never had this kind of problem with other drug stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We were treated rude by the staff at Walgreens and left and was with Callahan Pharmacy, Stayed with them for several years. It was so nice and every month our prescriptions were filled and ready for us. Not only that but when we walked in. We were called by first names and they knew everything about us. Unfortunately, Callahan Pharmacy Closed and we were told that we would have to go back to Walgreens. They had bought out Callahan. Since we have been there it has been nothing but problems.

My husband is on a lot of pain medication. He has 4th stage liver disease and chronic kidney disease and has had 12 surgeries since having a steel beam fall in his arms and snatching all his muscles from one side of his body to the other requiring multiple surgeries and then complete shoulder replacements. They refuse to take the prescription on day early, but have to call the Physician every month to see if the prescription was written by him. I had to stand in there and argue with them to verify the prescription on Friday. I know that we could not pick it up until Saturday.

After telling them that I was leaving the prescription and walked out. I went back and got the medication, Now after several months of being with them and hearing other people wanting to get signs and picket the Store because of the way the pharmacist manager treats people. Once my husband took his medication to the store and dropped it off around 10:30. Didn't make the desk of the pharmacist until 11:30. At 1:00 the pharmacist came out and told him that they had to call the Doctor on this medication and they were out to lunch until 1:30 so he might as well go home and come back later. (Which is 22 miles round trip) She told him that was not far.

Maybe not far but when you have to keep driving back and forth down there and you only have a income of 760.00 Social Security and you can't take your medication cause you will not drive taking medication. So he suffers until they get their stuff right. I have had to stop him from going because they get him upset every time he goes into the store. I have been sick for several weeks and he went to get his medication and they had to give him different pills from 3 different pharmaceutical to make up his full supply. This month he goes in and they don't have his medication even tho we get it every month. At this time they are totally out of the medication.

I had to just about beg someone to call other stores to see if they had the medication. She came back and said that they were all out of this medication. So I had to take the prescription and leave Nassau County to try to go find this medication, I went to Walgreens on Normandy Blvd. Complete Different experience. Justin waited on me and was so nice and got the prescription ready for me. He treated me like he cared about the customers. Such a nice feeling after dealing with I believe her name is Corrine.

When my husband walks in he feel like she is treated him like this because he is ** and has tattoo's and he is on strong pain meds. Which I might add he has dropped 50 mg his self trying to get off the medication because he would rather die than be treated like a Drug Addict by the Callahan Pharmacy. So I am back to hearing my husband cry in his sleep because of the pain he is in. I have spoken with several of the employees there who say that this Pharmacist is just plain nasty, not because we are ** as she treats everyone like this.

Time to get a new pharmacist with a heart who care about people. You know that this man comes in every month to get his medication why not keep it in stock as the other pharmacy did. I had to drive 100 miles round trip to get his medication. The order number is not for the medication I am speaking about but it doesn't come from Callahan Walgreens Pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I am writing this review about the Walgreens in Oceanside on Oceanside BLVD and College. I had a very pleasant experience when I visited the store on Nov. 21. Ana was the employee on the register this day. She greeted me when I came in and made me feel quite welcome. She also helped me out when I was searching for an item. Ana is a very warm and very nice individual. Very professional. She is always busy when not taking care of her customers. She is friendly and always willing to go the extra mile for you. Ana is a beautiful young lady with a beautiful smile and gorgeous eyes. She is fantastic.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Went in to buy 12-Hour **. Some little "tee-hee" brought the pharmacy tech out who asked me why I needed **. I told him as a decongestant (buying for the "D" part). He wanted me to buy ** (the D part is controlled in TN - people cook it into **). It has been prescribed for me by an actual doctor (very much cheaper as a prescription), but the prescription ran out (3x90day supply) and I have not been back to the doctor to get it renewed. I asked him if he was a doctor. He said "yes".

Total BS - medical doctors (our context) don't work in the pharmacy at Walgreens. I know they have "Doctors of Pharmacology", but of course that's not what we were talking about. He refused to sell it although I passed the TN criteria (so many pills per period of time). I don't know what his motivation was - maybe he was trying to impress the little tee-hee. Anyway, I just went one block down to another brand of pharmacy and bought it without the stupidity. Won't return to Walgreens even though it 1/2 block from my house - I'll go one more block to the other brand. Anybody that stupid, I would not trust to dispense actual medications. Or popcorn, for that matter.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had a flu shot done by Walgreens Pharmacy in Hayward on Oct 28th.2017. I provided all insurance info to the front desk person and she made copies of my card but billed to wrong insurance, this insurance company billed me and when I called to local Walgreens Pharmacy they denied again and again, it seemed to me Walgreens employees are trained or experienced to work on your billing and all related documents, their main training is do not admit and deny and keep denying... Causing a lot of frustration and stress specially people like me, diabetic and other related medical issues… Their main goal is how to suck money from people either way… It's shame... Or shameless?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I called the Covington location, located at Hwy 21 and Hwy 1085, to inquire about a prescription. I was transferred to the pharmacy department after stating "pharmacy". I did not speak to a single person. The automated recording kept stating that someone would answer my call shortly. That never happened. I was holding for 22 minutes before driving to the store. I'd probably still be holding if I didn't drive there. Why didn't anyone pick up the phone in 22 minutes? A simple "I'm sorry, we are so busy at the moment, please hold." OR "We are so busy. May I take your name and number and call you back when we get a chance?" OR anything besides letting me hold for 22 minutes would have worked.

When I got to the store, I was still on hold. The manager had no explanation for me. She just agreed that it was ridiculous that no one could pick up the phone and just let it ring. That's pretty bad. There is to be a better way to handle this. Sadly, Walgreens just hasn't figured out that way yet. I happily took my prescription to a different pharmacy that actually cares about my time and money.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

You get multiple texts - "Time for your refill, reply refill to get it filled", then you text refill and get response "Your refill is ready" but then the refill is not ready and you have to wait. There is no need to text if they can't react to the texts. This new software has been around years with plenty of time to fix the problem. The real issue is the managed service provider that gets paid more if they drag out the problem. And the customers suffer. May have to move to another pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have been ordering from Walgreens for some time now. The savings are good. I usually have to wait 5-7 days and package shows-up. This time it was expected in 5 days. On that day I waited. Late that night web info says it was delivered day before to my basement! I don't accept packages at my basement door. My front door has a sign saying ring doorbell. They use Laser for delivering. It was not delivered at all. I had work in my basement all day with truck parked at door.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Same doctor, same prescriptions. I Travel a lot. 20 cities in 15 yrs with a residence and doctor in Florida. I see him every 3-6 months for blood work, X-rays and prescriptions. Suddenly with this new GFD any opioid script you're treated as a criminal and the pharmacist is to look for red flags, and without medical training can refuse to fill prescriptions. Seems to me they're playing Doctor with No degree. Also seems as civil rights are being violated. Remember Walgreens had to pay 80 million dollars for accepting bogus opioid prescriptions and now people with real pain are being affected. Shame on you Walgreens. The form the pharmacist must fill out is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The lazy and ignorant staff at the Elmwood Park IL. Walgreens all deserve to be cleaning toilets instead of working the pharmacy. The fact that they administer things you can’t grab yourself has gone to their heads. The rude and ignorant Rx manager called me to tell me my prescription was ready but she did not want to go through the effort to put the manufacturer's coupon through. She spoke to me with so much disrespect like I was a little child who wrote on the walls with a marker. NO ONE deserves to be spoken to like that. If that pile of crap that spoke to me like that was a man he would be getting plenty of practice spitting out teeth. The coward of a woman acts all high and mighty like she is untouchable.

I am not the only one. I have spoken to others in my neighborhood and if the pharmacy mafia are refusing to properly serve anyone who does not have a major insurance by providing extremely lousy service so they would leave and go elsewhere, or forcing to pay out of pocket and ignoring manufacturers coupons or incentives. This changes today. These overpaid pharmacists and brainless techs have state licenses that need to be revoked and given to people who can do the job they get paid for. I suggest everyone who has an issue with licensed professionals seek out the state agency regulating these cowardly people picking on the sick and elderly. People who have a rough time due to health issues do not need anyone behind the pharmacy counter making more problems their life. All they care is about the bottom line. Time to make Walgreens stock plummet. BOYCOTT WALGREENS!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been a long time customer and I'm absolutely shocked at the way I have been treated. I dread going to Walgreens every month. First, they blow up my phone with calls and texts telling me my medications are ready for pickup, then I get there and it's not ready! This is an ongoing problem! Today, for example, I ordered my prescriptions yesterday through the phone service. Somehow, one of the refills went to a different location. I called my location pharmacy and they said "No problem, we'll pull it over and fill it here and it will be ready in an hour." Then I called back and added an additional refill to the order and I asked how much extra time was needed. I was told, "We already have your existing two prescriptions filled and we can have the extra done in 30 mins." I waited until 9:15 pm to pick them up at the drive-thru, only to be told that the store didn't even have one of the originals in stock!

I waited for over 30 mins at the window, then to add more insult, the girl asked me if I could move to lane 2 because all of the cars piling up behind me weren't using lane 2! I told her my medication will not fit in the tube so she told me to come in to the store! Really!!! This happens to me every time I go there! So, once again, I have to park and go inside the store, only to find a huge line, on top of all the cars in the drive-thru being helped before me! Then, because they were out of stock, after I was told it was filled, they gave me a lower dosage. Made me pay for the whole thing, and now I have to go back AGAIN and deal with this place in two weeks to get what I paid for! Worst customer service ever and sadly this is the way I am treated every time I go here! 91st Ave and Union Hills Walgreens is the absolute worst pharmacy ever and the other locations I have gone to aren't much better. Shame on you Walgreens for treating customers this way!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Several times over the last few years my local Walgreens has been out of stock of very common drugs prescribed to me. When I asked once why this happened so often I got the usual "Don't bother me" attitude from the flightly Pharmacy Attendant. Haven't had this problem at CVS.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

For the past few months after years of using the Walgreens Pharmacy at San Pablo Ave San Pablo Ca, without too many issues besides having to wait in line for half an hour to pick up my medication, two pharmacists named Evelyn and Nick have decided to withhold my 28 day medication because I’m not sure if they can count! They said it is too soon for me but I have counted the 38 days in front of them and they still refuse. I called my doctor who called them and told them to release the medication to me now!

Now on October it is happening again! I was given six meds on Sunday. They said, "Come back Monday for the rest of them." I waited till Tuesday to go in to make sure they wouldn’t mess with me and now they said, "We don’t have any!!" Cruel and unusual punishment for my complaint to my doctor last time I guess. Please help, I just need my meds, I’m going through a horrible withdrawal, I’m 65 years old who 4 years ago became addicted to my narcotic after multiple surgeries, I went to my doctor on my own to ask for help and he prescribed this med, I think these people assume something about who I really am. I retired after 45 years working at the hospital bedside taking care of the sick, they don’t know me at all. These two individuals are despicable and need to lose their jobs!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

At our Walgreens in Rio Rancho, NM, there are three stations at the internal pharmacy. Yet, every time I've gone there, they never have all three of them manned. Usually, you're lucky to have one pharmacy assistant helping the internal customers and one busy at the drive-up window.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have tried using Walgreens as I have Tricare Prime. (Thankfully Walmart and other pharmacies currently take it except CVS). I have never dealt with a more difficult and rude pharmacy staff. I've learned to call before ever going. They seem to never have generic in my medications. The staff is rude. Extremely rude. There are several stores near me and they ALL are that way. I have a medical background and you don't treat patients that way. At this point I try to completely avoid them at all.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Suffering with a migraine. My husband waited in drive thru line over 30 min behind one car. At the window 10 min. I called pharmacist to tell him I was suffering. He told me that, me calling is wasting more of his time. They are busy. 2nd complaint and nothing changed. Typical wait behind a car in drive through is 20 minutes. This is so unreasonable and unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I am writing this review because we are very happy with Walgreens 24-hour Appleton WI. The pharmacist Aaron ** is always very nice and helpful. Jessica and Dawne are both very nice and Jessica always goes one step above and very efficient! Any authorizations required are handled expeditiously. Medications are filled promptly and correctly. We could have our RX filled locally, but drive a half-hour because of some of these employees, their genuity, efficiency, know their job well, and not much wait time. We would highly recommend this pharmacy based on our experiences every month. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

He treated me like I was a stray animal and would not give me my pain medication. He told me I have to come during the day so they can verify the prescription. The same prescription I have been getting for the last 5 years it's in your computer. Rude and Disrespectful. False advertisement.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I take a medication in two different strengths for 6.5 years. It was prescribed by a very good doctor in Palo Alto Ca who teaches at Stanford Medical School. He is very well regarded in his field. I live in Santa Fe NM. I had to move my prescriptions to Walgreens January 2017. I've filled them without an issue for 8 months until recently. The last two times Walgreens Pharmacy staff has lectured me on if I am receiving double therapy, the strength of the dosage, then telling me I shouldn't take the capsules all at once together. This all after my insurance company has approved my medication. I see a local doctor monthly who prescribed this medication, I don't need a hassle every month at Walgreens. Why would this pharmacy fill the prescriptions for 8 months then suddenly have an issue? In 6.5 years I have never had a problem now this pharmacy is behaving strangely.

The medication is not a controlled drug. Last time the pharmacy withheld 75 mg of the medication for three days and I was too sick to pick it up. By the time the pharmacy decided to release the 75 mg to me as I was going into withdrawal. They claimed I was getting double therapy even though I spoke to the pharmacist days earlier and told him I take two different strengths. The insurance company had approved the medication but the drugstore was holding it for two more days claiming they were waiting to hear from insurance. Really? I fixed that.

I called the insurance co and stayed online while insurance co spoke to pharmacy. So why can't pharmacy call the insurance co? They claim they were waiting for a call? The pharmacy telling me I have to take an extended release medication In separate doses is odd. I've taken the medication exactly the same way for 6.5 years. All together. No problems exactly the way instructed by dr. Why is Walgreens telling me otherwise? Why are they holding my medication putting me in withdrawal for three days? What is the issue with Walgreens now?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I placed an order for refills on 10/6/2017 and paid extra for faster shipping. Starting two days ago I have been calling Walgreens trying to find out why I haven’t heard anything about my order. Every time I get a different, conflicting, useless answer. I am now on hold for the last hour, having been told when their phone system answered that I would have to wait at least 7 minutes. I tried getting some useful and truthful information from a chat session but that person was also less than useless. I don't think she even understood my simple question of "what is the tracking number?" on a package that was supposedly shipped a couple of days ago. My insurance company made me switch to the Walgreens mail-order service. I have told them of my horrible experiences. Hopefully they will be flooded with similar complaints and will find a different company to deal with.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used our local Walgreens for over ten years, but got so fed up yesterday that I am pulling all my prescriptions and going to CVS. My daughter had a 3 months prescription there on automatic refill and went to pick up her second month. She has had this same 3 medication there since January. They told her that they couldn't give them to her because it was too early. She only had a week's left of pills. After a few days they texted her and told her that they were out of her medication, but they should get some in. The day she was on her last pill they texted her and said due to technical problems they would not have her prescription until the next day. That meant she would have to go a day without any. I was shocked to hear this and called them up and asked them what was the problem and if they could just get the medication from another Walgreens.

The person on the phone said they ran out of the medication and no they couldn't send the prescription to another pharmacy. I was very angry and swore and she hung up on me. I drove up to the store and she told me the same thing. I was very upset and she called the manager. I talked to the manager and told him that when he took my subscription, I thought that he was obligated to fill it. And explained that there are many psychological med that you just can't stop taking because you have very bad reactions. He didn't seem to care and said that sometimes they don't have enough because they have too many people coming in. He said he had to fill the prescription that came in. I explained that my prescription came in two months ago and he didn't fill mine.

He was turning me away. He said that was just the way it was. I left dumbfounded. Not only could they not fill my prescription, but they couldn't send the prescription anywhere else so I could get the meds. What a terrible way to do business. He never said sorry, or "we will try to do better." He just said that's what happens. Why would anyone do business with a pharmacy that can't guarantee that they can fill the prescriptions when they are due? They would be out of business if they told everyone that brought in a prescription that we may not be able to fill the prescription, but we'll take it and you won't be able to get in anywhere else if we can't fill it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Had to call to cancel order because the site did not have the option to purchase "FSA" items with a HSA card. Was unable to re-order with HSA card because online coupons considered used even though the order was cancelled. The site is terrible to navigate. Customer service cannot fix it and does not care. Humiliating experience on the phone. I unsubscribed/cancelled account.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My savings club expired 5/18/17. I have been trying ever since to get the promised refund, it is now 10/6/17. I just got off the phone with them for the umpteenth time to try and resolve. I have literally spent hours on the phone with them over the last few months. At first they were going to refund it to my card. Upon checking, that did not happen. Called again, same thing. Finally was told they would mail me a check. That didn't happen, so when I called back today, they said the funds had been deposited in August. At this point, I don't really believe it, but will try again this weekend. The difference will be that if the funds are not there, I will leave the merchandise on the counter unlike the last time. Then I will be forever through with Walgreens. Be warned about this savings club. You must initiate the refund, they don't just do it. Read the fine print. Even after numerous contacts, I have been left in limbo.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Do not expect to be helped if you call in. They'll put you on hold, transfer you, then you'll restart the process over and over again... I ordered through their website for ship to store and they never notified me it was ready (which the shipping notification says to wait for). Three weeks later I start digging and see that they signed for it yet didn't have it ready and couldn't find it. They charged my credit card for three weeks without providing the products I paid for. My boyfriend had the same problem when he had it shipped to his house (it took two months then he called and canceled his order) too. On a larger scale, it sounds like a free line of credit to me. Stick with Amazon. You'll get much better service that way.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Had knee surgery 9/29/17. Went to the nearest Walgreens Feeder Rd 45N near Research Forest Woodlands, TX. They REFUSED to fill my prescription, told me firmly, "Go wherever you usually go and have it filled," then walked away. I was in EXTREME pain and didn't understand WHY I had to ride around, calling, begging another Walgreens (that also refused to fill it). Finally, called CVS who filled it (1hr & 1/2 after I was discharged from my surgery). The employees, pharmacy at Walgreens didn't care, didn't want to answer my question, why I couldn't fill my prescription at that location. I need to file a complaint so this will NEVER happen to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After getting an email that Flu shots were available at Walgreens for VA covered Vets at no cost I went down there to get my shot. After filling out all the paperwork and waiting in line I was told I have to pay a $10 Co-pay. This counter to the ad and to what has been provided by the VA as to Vet who live in rural areas. Seems to me to be a SCAM!

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs