2.32/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Walgreens Pharmacy

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

1392 Walgreens Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I take a medication in two different strengths for 6.5 years. It was prescribed by a very good doctor in Palo Alto Ca who teaches at Stanford Medical School. He is very well regarded in his field. I live in Santa Fe NM. I had to move my prescriptions to Walgreens January 2017. I've filled them without an issue for 8 months until recently. The last two times Walgreens Pharmacy staff has lectured me on if I am receiving double therapy, the strength of the dosage, then telling me I shouldn't take the capsules all at once together. This all after my insurance company has approved my medication. I see a local doctor monthly who prescribed this medication, I don't need a hassle every month at Walgreens. Why would this pharmacy fill the prescriptions for 8 months then suddenly have an issue? In 6.5 years I have never had a problem now this pharmacy is behaving strangely.

The medication is not a controlled drug. Last time the pharmacy withheld 75 mg of the medication for three days and I was too sick to pick it up. By the time the pharmacy decided to release the 75 mg to me as I was going into withdrawal. They claimed I was getting double therapy even though I spoke to the pharmacist days earlier and told him I take two different strengths. The insurance company had approved the medication but the drugstore was holding it for two more days claiming they were waiting to hear from insurance. Really? I fixed that.

I called the insurance co and stayed online while insurance co spoke to pharmacy. So why can't pharmacy call the insurance co? They claim they were waiting for a call? The pharmacy telling me I have to take an extended release medication In separate doses is odd. I've taken the medication exactly the same way for 6.5 years. All together. No problems exactly the way instructed by dr. Why is Walgreens telling me otherwise? Why are they holding my medication putting me in withdrawal for three days? What is the issue with Walgreens now?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I placed an order for refills on 10/6/2017 and paid extra for faster shipping. Starting two days ago I have been calling Walgreens trying to find out why I haven’t heard anything about my order. Every time I get a different, conflicting, useless answer. I am now on hold for the last hour, having been told when their phone system answered that I would have to wait at least 7 minutes. I tried getting some useful and truthful information from a chat session but that person was also less than useless. I don't think she even understood my simple question of "what is the tracking number?" on a package that was supposedly shipped a couple of days ago. My insurance company made me switch to the Walgreens mail-order service. I have told them of my horrible experiences. Hopefully they will be flooded with similar complaints and will find a different company to deal with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used our local Walgreens for over ten years, but got so fed up yesterday that I am pulling all my prescriptions and going to CVS. My daughter had a 3 months prescription there on automatic refill and went to pick up her second month. She has had this same 3 medication there since January. They told her that they couldn't give them to her because it was too early. She only had a week's left of pills. After a few days they texted her and told her that they were out of her medication, but they should get some in. The day she was on her last pill they texted her and said due to technical problems they would not have her prescription until the next day. That meant she would have to go a day without any. I was shocked to hear this and called them up and asked them what was the problem and if they could just get the medication from another Walgreens.

The person on the phone said they ran out of the medication and no they couldn't send the prescription to another pharmacy. I was very angry and swore and she hung up on me. I drove up to the store and she told me the same thing. I was very upset and she called the manager. I talked to the manager and told him that when he took my subscription, I thought that he was obligated to fill it. And explained that there are many psychological med that you just can't stop taking because you have very bad reactions. He didn't seem to care and said that sometimes they don't have enough because they have too many people coming in. He said he had to fill the prescription that came in. I explained that my prescription came in two months ago and he didn't fill mine.

He was turning me away. He said that was just the way it was. I left dumbfounded. Not only could they not fill my prescription, but they couldn't send the prescription anywhere else so I could get the meds. What a terrible way to do business. He never said sorry, or "we will try to do better." He just said that's what happens. Why would anyone do business with a pharmacy that can't guarantee that they can fill the prescriptions when they are due? They would be out of business if they told everyone that brought in a prescription that we may not be able to fill the prescription, but we'll take it and you won't be able to get in anywhere else if we can't fill it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Had to call to cancel order because the site did not have the option to purchase "FSA" items with a HSA card. Was unable to re-order with HSA card because online coupons considered used even though the order was cancelled. The site is terrible to navigate. Customer service cannot fix it and does not care. Humiliating experience on the phone. I unsubscribed/cancelled account.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My savings club expired 5/18/17. I have been trying ever since to get the promised refund, it is now 10/6/17. I just got off the phone with them for the umpteenth time to try and resolve. I have literally spent hours on the phone with them over the last few months. At first they were going to refund it to my card. Upon checking, that did not happen. Called again, same thing. Finally was told they would mail me a check. That didn't happen, so when I called back today, they said the funds had been deposited in August. At this point, I don't really believe it, but will try again this weekend. The difference will be that if the funds are not there, I will leave the merchandise on the counter unlike the last time. Then I will be forever through with Walgreens. Be warned about this savings club. You must initiate the refund, they don't just do it. Read the fine print. Even after numerous contacts, I have been left in limbo.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Do not expect to be helped if you call in. They'll put you on hold, transfer you, then you'll restart the process over and over again... I ordered through their website for ship to store and they never notified me it was ready (which the shipping notification says to wait for). Three weeks later I start digging and see that they signed for it yet didn't have it ready and couldn't find it. They charged my credit card for three weeks without providing the products I paid for. My boyfriend had the same problem when he had it shipped to his house (it took two months then he called and canceled his order) too. On a larger scale, it sounds like a free line of credit to me. Stick with Amazon. You'll get much better service that way.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Had knee surgery 9/29/17. Went to the nearest Walgreens Feeder Rd 45N near Research Forest Woodlands, TX. They REFUSED to fill my prescription, told me firmly, "Go wherever you usually go and have it filled," then walked away. I was in EXTREME pain and didn't understand WHY I had to ride around, calling, begging another Walgreens (that also refused to fill it). Finally, called CVS who filled it (1hr & 1/2 after I was discharged from my surgery). The employees, pharmacy at Walgreens didn't care, didn't want to answer my question, why I couldn't fill my prescription at that location. I need to file a complaint so this will NEVER happen to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After getting an email that Flu shots were available at Walgreens for VA covered Vets at no cost I went down there to get my shot. After filling out all the paperwork and waiting in line I was told I have to pay a $10 Co-pay. This counter to the ad and to what has been provided by the VA as to Vet who live in rural areas. Seems to me to be a SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Worst pharmacy EVER!!! They pick and chose what scripts they want to fill and who to fill them for! They have taken my scripts and held them and told me to come back next day and when I went back they said they didn't fill them! Due to the type of medication there is a demand for these drugs and if someone they know comes in before you pick up your medicine they will give it to someone else. They are breaking the law by first holding onto your scripts so you can not fill your scripts anywhere else.

Then when they tell you to come back after Ckg their inventory and I know they had my medicine. They gave away both my medications to someone else and handed me back my scripts the next day and said they didn't have my meds anymore!!! Why??? Because they gave them to someone else!!! I would not be surprised if they get paid and kickbacks from their cash paying customers. They basically pick and choose who they want to fill for! I am so done with this pharmacy. They are breaking the law. They are discriminating against people who are disabled. They are putting people's lives and health at stake. Something needs to be done about this before someone dies. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Last year I switched to Walgreens AARP Medicare Rx insurance, because it was attractively priced. Well. I have saved money over my previous plan, but only at the cost of endless aggravation. For example, I just got off the phone, from my FOURTH try to get a prescription refilled. I got my doctor to send a new Rx, because WG screwed up the previous refill. Anyway, if they've missed any possible mistake in the 9 mos I've been using their service... This was a new one.

On my last call, the helpful rep corrected a mistake by the previous rep, apologized, said she would keep "close track" over the new order. Well. Several days passed. I got a cryptic phone message and letter regarding some *other* order number, so I called back. The new rep (never the same twice!) first said the meds were back-ordered. I questioned this (very common drug), so she asked the pharm, who said the order was entered wrong. Rep said she'd ship it "expedited". I pointed out that, last time they shipped "expedited", the shipper had (literally) thrown the package into our yard! She said they'd use FedEx this time, and email me when it shipped. We'll see.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Coral Springs FL @ Sample Road & Coral Ridge - I've been going to Walgreens Pharmacy for pretty much my whole LIFE! 10-20 years at least... My Dr put me on a stronger med after I had neck & spine surgery from a rollover accident. I was told when dropping my script off that they didn't have, so I asked them to order it and I'll come back whenever next week to get it. They said they already ordered more and it will be there by Tuesday to come back. (Was Friday before when I dropped off.)

I went back Tuesday and the pharmacy tells me they don't have, didn't order... Won't order... Would take WEEKS to get... Which I KNEW was B.S.! I knew after 2nd time I was being LIED to and talked to like a druggie!! So much disrespect I felt after so many years of continued business. They lie, give excuses and when you call them out on one of their lies they act as they are GOD and have total control & talk to you like a child or so rude I couldn't even hold the shock back!! I took to CVS, never been there... They were SOO nice... No questions as my paperwork from DR clearly showed the seriousness of my injuries. Filled it within 5 mins!! No questions and treated like a loyal customer like I SHOULD of been with Walgreens after so many years. NEVER again!! Will I EVER bring them ANYTHING. No business EVER! They really need to make their employees take a class for customer service!! Should be mandatory! Total JERKS & LIARS!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Walgreens Saint Petersburg Fl - The worst customer services and clerical errors. They lost prescription order from doctor. They never called me to tell me there was any problem. Instead lady at pharmacy yelled at me claiming they did not have copy or order I gave them. I will completely be out of medication in a day. So Monday I have to request a new order. In past they ran out of medication I needed requiring me to make several trips to their store. They never called to let me know they got medication to fill rest of prescription. Their customer service is bad.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

As an overall healthy family (thankfully) we have not had experience with the "American Mafia" of healthcare until recently. My son got a virus that he needed medication for. We had the Dr. call it in to our closest pharmacy which was Walgreens. We received a call from the pharmacist (who was very nice) saying that the price was going to be over $600 and Blue Cross Blue Shield was not going to cover it because of our deductible not being met. This was for a generic brand! The Dr. informed me that pharmacies charge different prices and to shop around. I had NO idea that you can clip coupons for medication and frankly, this seems wrong to me.

In researching, I found that Costco charges $35 for the same medication! That is a huge difference and one that has compelled me to write this review. I found **. If you are getting ready to fill a prescription, plug it into this site and it will pull up a list of places that carry it and at what price. I also had NO idea that Costco has a pharmacy!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have been going to Walgreens for 3 years to get my **. I had been going every two weeks but asked my doctor if I could go once a month. It was too much twice a month. I had got my dates mixed up from the switch and had taken my prescription a few days too early a couple of times and Walgreens would only let me pick it up two days early. Well since hurricane Harvey some of my friends who were on them as well told me my Walgreens was out. I didn't have a car this month either and CVS is across the street. I was early again I guess but CVS gave me the ten and the clerk said if I filled the 10 it would cancel out the whole prescription. I know that is not true. Usually they give you what they have and you can come back when they get the order in.

So I went ahead and got the ten and decided to ask the pharmacist. The clerk told me to sit down and wait. The pharmacist was looking at it. I guess he called my doctor to get approval to fill the 50 on a new prescription. I don't know? So the clerk told me that I have a refill on the 50 and they didn't know when a truck would be there. So I call Walgreens where I normally go and they have them. I didn't give Walgreens my name and ask could I have a refill transferred there. They said, "Yes, what is the prescription number?" so I gave them CVS's. I assumed it was being taken care of. I called the next day to see if ready. Whoever answered looked my order up and said no it didn't get transferred because it was a new prescription.

So today is Monday all this other was on a Friday. I called CVS today is Monday to see when their truck would be in. They told me this evening around 5 pm and what is my name and DOB. I gave it. She paused for a min like she was reading something and told me, "Yes, the truck is coming in but you cannot pick up your prescription until tomorrow." What has happened is the two pharmacies has talked and Walgreens has told them probably that the reason I came to CVS is to get my prescription early which is not true. I did not have a car!!!! And CVS is across the street from my apts.

Bottom line is now CVS is telling me I cannot pick up my prescription and tomorrow will be 30 days. Why are they playing God. I am on ** so I want be a drug head but you get treated like one even if you're trying. They had no business discussing with each other when I picked my prescription up and should not set a deadline. I am so mad. I am waiting until midnight and I am going to get them. If they give me a hard time I am going to be pissed off. See they are really the only two pharmacy chain and really the Heb's and Walmarts do not carry the **.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The Walgreens Pharmacy staff are frazzled and overworked and make an astonishingly large number of mistakes. A recurrent problem that I have is I will order a refill of a particular prescription, and then when I go to get it they have a different prescription ready for me. They call it an internal error when this happens. It is a maddening situation, because I will have staff try to tell me that I ordered this other prescription when I did not. They will even change the records in the system to make it look like I ordered a different prescription than I did.

This is insane. The most recent time this happened I wound up having to go to the pharmacy on four occasions and I had to call my doctor's office when the pharmacy insisted that my doctor had not authorized a refill yet. According to the nurse at my doctor's office, Walgreens is notorious in their Healthcare System for pharmacy errors. She let me know that my prescription refill had been authorized by my doctor several days previous. When I went back into the pharmacy for the fourth time to explain this, finally instead of telling me that I had ordered a completely different prescription somebody told me that because I was on another medication that was somewhat similar that somebody had made the determination that I was no longer in need of the other medication which I take for a completely different reason, and had changed my refill to this other medication which I did not need a refill of.

This is absolutely insane. It makes me sick to think of elderly and or very sick people driving in inclement weather over and over and over to this stupid Walgreens Pharmacy because their employees are making changes like this. It should not be happening. The only reason I use Walgreens is because it is the only Pharmacy which is convenient to my home. However, Walgreens does not deserve my business or anybody else's. The other thing they did which is absolutely obnoxious is they started this Rewards program where you accumulate points for your purchases which can be redeemed for cash amount of merchandise.

Out of the blue, Walgreens decided that they didn't approve of people accumulating substantial amount of reward dollars, so without announcing it they zeroed out everybody's accounts so that people had to start over from scratch. There were many people, particularly elderly people, who had accumulated $50 plus worth of rewards that they were just saving up for a special day to go on a shopping spree. How dare Walgreens steal this money from these innocent people without even letting them know that this was about to happen. It is outrageous. Walgreens is all about greed, greed, and more greed. They don't care about people. All they care about is money, money, money. Shame Shame Shame on this disgusting business.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Purchased a prepaid Green Dot VISA from Walgreens 34 dollars was supposed to be loaded on card. Tried to register the card it said invalid can't talk to agent without the card info or personal info and I don't have that info because it's invalid and won't allow me to register the card. Walgreens won't refund and can't get contact with Green Dot. Spoke to a supervisor at Walgreens who said they have been having Green Dot card issues for the last three days. That's fraud. If they know it's issues going on and still selling Green Dot cards while being aware of card issues.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I feel very fortunate to have Walgreens as my pharmacy. There has been no turn over at my Walgreens Pharmacy which means for me, that both pharmacists and the techs know me and my prescriptions. When I drop off or pick up prescriptions I am greeted with a sincere smile. I always feel like a valued customer and that is rare these days. I also use their mobile app. It is easy to navigate and contains all the information you could need. I definitely made the right choice choosing Walgreens as my pharmacy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

If the staff was not so worried about socializing at this store you might not wait for hours and sometimes they do not answer questions just as directed.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I had used the Walgreens app like I usually do when requesting a refill on my medication and made the pickup time for Monday at 5:00 pm. This was done on a Sunday btw. I noticed I never received a text Monday after work to let me know that my prescription was ready to be picked up. This was odd because I had never had this happen before. I went by Walgreens to pickup my medication that I pay cash for and pick up what I can when I have the money to do so. I get to the window and tell them I'm there to pick up my prescription and after what seemed like 2 minutes the lady comes back and tells me that the pharmacist said I should have enough to last until tomorrow that he will fill it tomorrow. I told the lady that I'm not using insurance that I pay cash for my medication and I could pick my medication up whenever.

My doctor wrote me a one month prescription and I could have picked it all up the first day if I chose to but because it's so expensive I pick it up when I can and not that I should have to explain to them but I wouldn't be in town until the end of the week and I was leaving out tomorrow morning. Well that didn't matter to the pharmacist, his reply was for me to find a Walgreens wherever I was going and have it filled there. I spend at least $600 a month there at this particular Walgreens but after this I will never deal with them again. When someone is written a prescription, who gives the pharmacist the right to tell them when they can pick it up especially when it's part of an existing prescription and the person pays cash? I could have picked it all up the first day I dropped it off but evidently because I couldn't afford to shell out $400 bucks that day the pharmacist thinks he can dictate when I can pickup the rest. Won't be going back there!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

There is no reward program at this new store. I've never gone inside because they have a drive thru so I can stay in my car - this is a bonus because I'm handicapped & this way I don't get wet or cold!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Service is prompt, courteous, professional and pharmacist informs me about my medications and contraindications. The store is always clean and I appreciate being able to get medications through drive-through as well.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Walgreens one of the worst pharmacy systems I have ever used! Took a refill prescription in with several refills in the early afternoon to the Walgreens at the corner of Cedar Springs and Oaklawn in Dallas TX. Was told it would be ready that night. Went back and it wasn't ready! Went the next am to get it and it hadn't even started to be filled! Was told it would be ready after 2 pm. Went back at 3 pm and one was ready. The other they hadn't even started! Went again to get it the next day as they clearly need more time.

Finally 4 attempts later was able to get my refills only to find out they screwed up the prescription on refills and now I have no refills when I should have 2 more. This isn't the first time Walgreens pharmacy has screwed up my refills and caused me to go back to the doctor to get another prescription to get my meds filled! Will definitely not be using this terrible pharmacy ever again! It isn't just here it was also Walgreens pharmacy in New York and Iowa! Gross incompetence is what Walgreens pharmacies bring to the table!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I really like the pharmacists at Walgreens. They all seem to be very knowledgeable, polite, & professional. I only had one pharmacists that I really don't think she is competent. I asked about a chemical in a vitamin & she did not know what it was.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Walgreens rewards program is based on purchase and points received. Lately for the past six months at purchase the machine releases you are ready to redeem coupons with a $5 or $10 amount listed as of the date on the coupon. When trying to redeem that value - the store clerk reveals that it is not valid. This has happened now 3 times to myself so far and apparently others have complained as well for their situation. I brought it to the attention of their customer service hotline. She added the points last time and apologized. Ok. However, it has continued to happen and this is unacceptable customer care. Why can't they spend the extra money and get that coupon machine fixed already.

Furthermore it leads me to suspect what kind of billing practices or points practices is that company engaging in. On the face of things, it appears to be nothing more than a sham and a corrupt attempt to gain access to an individuals personal data for marketing purposes but with no real set and properly working rewards points system in place. Individuals rely on the distributed coupons and then are turned away at the store with nothing more than, being told: "oh those coupons were printed in error". That to me is a sham.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

The best part about Walgreens is it is close-by. Wait times, particularly at the drive-up window are ridiculous. Some of the staff don't seem bright enough to come in out of the rain. But, they manage to dispense the required drugs so they're average overall. Certainly nothing exceptional about them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Each store's pharmacy that you go to has different standards and ways that they handle their policies and procedures. They don't keep enough medication in stock cuz they are always out. They have long lines at the pharmacy and waiting times on the phone.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I made an online purchase because they do not carry the item in the stores, but the item I received was not the one I ordered. I called their customer service number, and after 45 minutes, was told that they would not send me the correct item until I returned the incorrect item. They said it was because the item I ordered cost over $75, but the item I received cost $33.99 online. I tried to explain that they sent me a cheaper, incorrect item and they had my money already. They still refused to send out a new item until they received the incorrect item. To make things even worse, they wanted me to return it to the store. Really? I ordered it online. Why should I go to the store? Finally she agreed to send me a return label, but no refund.

I have several prescriptions with Walgreens and I have trouble getting refills all the time. For example, my doctor will fax in a prescription and Walgreens claims they have received it. This often happens. I've only stayed with them because they are conveniently located, but I've had enough of their poor customer service. There are so many other places to shop and have prescriptions filled. I'm moving all my prescriptions elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I like Walgreens. They are always open when I need something and the pharmacy staff is always very helpful and knowledgeable. They file my insurance claims for me and let me know if there are any delays, when refills are due, and when they are ready for pickup.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

My appendix burst. I went to Walgreens to pick up my meds. It was 5 days early so my Dr. had approved an override so the insurance would pay. When I go to pick them up the pharmacist (JESSICA) tells me she doesn't care that I had surgery. Today was 5 days early and it don't matter if my Dr. had them pre approved today. I was paying for them and for generic ** 150 pills costs $114.00. I have had to pay before and the name brand was $110.00, generic $49.00. She replied today the price is 114.00!!! I also give my rewards card never to have it scanned! I know as a company you care about my cash but you should stop and think how many people your employee's let die every day because they don't take to that extra step. One last thought, greed and the love of money is the root of all evil!!! Every American deserves free health and dental care!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I was told to contact in 2 days to refill by pharmacist. I contact pharmacy 3rd day, and Babak ** (manager) says wait 2 more days. That is fine, but what he says after that was just accusatory tone of "Why do you need so soon, you should have some left!!!" I told him I am just doing what I was told, and why are you arguing with me? He then respond, "Because you are arguing!". I never did. I told him that he needs to learn how to talk to customer. He was still going off on me, I did not care to listen to him and hang up. 2321 N. Hawthorne location usually have nice people there but this one was something I never encounter with. This type of people make me want to change a pharmacy.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.
    • Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.
    • Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.
    • Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.
    • Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.
    • Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.
    • Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs