2.97/5

1670 Walgreens Pharmacy Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

Several weeks ago I called Walgreens to report an issue regarding a Walgreens branded product that didn't perform to expectations. I was referred to the manufacturer. It had been several weeks and I hadn't heard anything from the manufacturer; when I called them to check on the status of my report, they said that refunds needed to come from Walgreens. So, I called Walgreens customer service department again and explained the situation. This time I didn't get the runaround and was pleasantly surprised when the representative promptly and cheerfully "deposited points" into my rewards account, enough points to cover the cost of the branded product that did not meet my expectations.

The reason I've designated the experience as only "4-stars" instead of five is because although the experience speaking to the representative was very pleasant and I am happy to have received points, it's not a "100% satisfied" situation to me because of how the Walgreens rewards program currently works. My understanding is that now when points are built up, you can't use a whole lot of them in one transaction; points seem to work more like coupons now where perhaps the most you can apply to a transaction is maybe only $5.00. If $5.00 is the maximum that can be redeemed in a single transaction, that wouldn't be enough to even cover the replacement cost of the unsatisfactory product in the Walgreens brand, much less to purchase a name brand replacement.

Yes, they've awarded points to cover the cost spent for the unsatisfactory product (and even with extra points beyond -- for which I am grateful!) but it would be better to be able to just get a free replacement product and not have to pay sales tax twice (once on the original unsatisfactory item and again when it's a new sale for the replacement, but with points that work like a coupon). (Tax generally isn't collected on even exchanges.) If all the points received could be redeemed all at once, then that would be a five-star experience!

Original review: March 21, 2019

There are a lot of advantages to using the Walgreens Pharmacy. These advantages include in-store and drive-through service at most locations, 24-hour service at many locations, as well as reasonable wait time and knowledgeable pharmacists. They also have an easy to use phone system for re-ordering prescriptions as well as an option for auto filling prescriptions you need regularly. They do have one issue I find frustrating when encountered. The first is when they run out of my medication I use monthly. They know I need it every month and yet don’t have it when time to reorder.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I rely on Walgreens Pharmacy, in particular, because of its convenient location; they offer home delivery from the (physical) store/through the mail; in the twelve years (approximately) that I have patronized Walgreens there have been maybe 3 errors regarding my prescriptions, very efficient -- the pharmacy personnel are friendly, and really seem to care... Switched from Walmart Pharmacy years (12) ago; the personnel there were uncaring, and even dismissive at times, even when *they* were the cause of a mistake; the lines would be extremely long and the personnel would work at a snail's pace -- although not perfect either, Walgreens has been a refreshing alternative...

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was with CVS for 3 years and kept switching pharmacies hoping that the next would be better than the last. They weren’t. I kept debating about whether to switch to Walgreens and finally did. I’ve been with Walgreens for about a year and a half now. They are Sooo much better than any of the CVS pharmacies I was with. Mine actually has a drive through pick up which makes it extra nice. The pharmacy is consistent with my meds, never had an error in the entire time I’ve been with them, and they are quick with the Dr approvals. I should have switched to Walgreens years ago!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Pharmacist on duty at that time was inconsiderate and unprofessional. Repeat of attitude from month before. We are going on a trip, needed to have sleeping pill order filled early. First answer was they did not have enough to fill order. Second answer was my request was too early. Seems to delight in giving customers a hard time. My script bottle indicated I had it filled 2/6/19, but apparently I am at fault for February only having 28 days. I don't know how Walgreens compensates for months that have 31 days. Normal service from pharmacists at this location are very good to excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: July 16, 2019

I cannot believe this is happening again. A pharmacist thinking their vast medical education replaces that of a licensed physician. I had my second spinal fusion a month ago. This is very painful and not something you take a couple of ** and after a week or so are back to work. Called my doctor today to get a refill. This was placed before 9 am. Now Walgreens has this listed as "delayed, under pharmacists review." How can a pharmacist without my medical history know what is best for me? Great people abuse but not all of us do. Some actually are in pain. Now I have to wait until the highly trained pharmacist determines it is my best medical interest. Perhaps I should take a handfull of ** every 8 hours until the refill. I am sure they would be happy if I shut down kidneys.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I take insulin and the pharmacist decided she'd change my insulin to a generic form without informing me of the change. I felt very violated because medicine isn't anything you play with with people lives. I'm scared now to take any medicine I got from that pharmacy because I don't know if it was changed without me knowing. Smh they got a bad review from me because every time I call that pharmacy and that pharmacist is there she's very rude over the phone.

I have to go speak with them in person today and I won't be doing any more business with Walgreen's because of this. You can't just change folks medicine without permission from the person or doctor because had she asked me if it was alright to change it I would have told her, "To be safe I'm going to check with my Doctor first." But to strip me of that right, the nerve of some personal disregard and disrespect. I'm upset right now. I not making a big deal without merit. She should have asked me. That's my right to know. She changed my medication!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Pharmacist could not fill my prescription for my insurance company. Problem was sent to me in email. I spent an hour on phone with ins and they said no one contacted them from that pharmacy. Insurance changed my script to part B from D and when I told pharmacist she hung up on me. Then my insurance company called them and she hung up on them too. Not my fault. I will not use them again. 75th and Shadeland Ave. in Indianapolis, Indiana been going there for years so not a new person.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I called the store in Surprise Arizona on Bell Rd to find if they had something in stock. I was told by Rachel the store manager they did have what I was looking for. I drove 15 minutes to only find out they never did!! What a waste of my time and energy to find this out. And all the manager could say is, "I’m sorry!" Never offered to make things right for my efforts! I will never patronize a Walgreens again!!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have gone to Walgreens for years. It’s a busy location and there were always mistakes, but I stupidly stuck with them. One day the entire staff was replaced with different techs and pharmacists. The manager, J, told me it was her 1st time managing, and that was obvious. The older woman pharmacist, G. ran all over her. She argued everything- not only with me but I observed it more times than I could count. I always had to ask her to stop interrupting me because I couldn’t finish the question. G also informed that what the doctor said didn’t matter, she overruled all doctors.

Another issue was shortages. I was short of heart medication and potassium. It was one each, twice with the potassium. Then I was short a controlled substance by 5 pills. I always open them in front of family members and count because they too have issues with shortages. I knew there was no way I could prove I was short that many but called and asked if they could at least check inventory, and see if another prescription was filled when mine was since it was near a holiday and even more chaotic. I was told in the past a recount takes an hour. The tech asked me to bring the bottle back, which I did. Six minutes later the abusive pharmacist G said they had already done a count, had circled the number on my bottle, I was wrong and could call the manager and walked away.

When the manager came in I called, told her what happened, said yet again I said I had no way of proving it but since I was going to have to let my doctor know because it affected my treatment I wanted to see what happened. J the manager said she would watch the tapes, and said her counts matched and she didn’t see the tech putting any in his pocket.

I told her the tech was always helpful, and I didn’t think he would steal, that either they were in someone else’s bottle or the floor. I did tell her I found G’s behavior odd, as I didn’t understand why she was so rude, I had made zero accusations and didn’t understand how she could have heard the whole situation, waited on other customers and done a recount in six minutes. J said they would do a recount at my next pickup for my medications in front of me, but didn’t know if G would be willing so I would have to wait until she was in. That’s crazy! I was resigned to switch after the holiday because this was not working.

Unfortunately my doctor’s office sent my last prescription to them as it was still in the system. I called to ask why it was sitting there, and the tech was rude, put G on the phone who said they would no longer fill any of my prescriptions and if I didn’t like it call J on Monday. I was floored - now I am wondering if someone did steal those pills. How do I know the counts matched, the manager watched the tape, etc. Here is where I find things legally cloudy. I called another Walgreens and she called the other one, said this didn’t come from corporate (who I had called twice about G and never received a call back), it was that store only. The last I talked to J, the manager, she said things would be checked on my next visit. Which means G is behind this, it would appear, since there is no one else. With missing controlled substance pills, my question is why? And no notification?

Original review: July 5, 2019

On 6/30/19 I placed my first and probably last online order with Walgreens. I opted for the online ordering option for vitamin supplements, shave cream and dye-free low dose aspirin because I could save add'l money plus get a rebate. I carefully looked at the delivery time frame and saw that I could get it delivered to my home in 1-2 days and it would be longer if I had it delivered to the store and picked it up from there. Using Walgreen's estimation of 1-2 days for delivery, I figured I'd get the package no later than Wednesday, assuming there might be a processing day in there too. I got an order confirmation email right away and on Monday, July 1st I got a shipment confirmation saying the delivery would be Friday, July 5th. I am disappointed in the shipping/delivery and don't recommend to anyone who is in need of products quickly. WM, Sarasota, FL

Original review: July 4, 2019

I will never recommend Walgreens. Always out of stock or back ordered. Late to fill your orders. I am currently 1 week late on a refill and was told to transfer to another pharmacy. Very poor customer service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I use Walgreens for all my pharmacy and medical needs. I like having the ability to shop by anytime of the day and night. I also like that I am able to use my rewards points for any items. I rarely have a long wait and the pharmacist are always able to answer my questions or can get back to me quickly if they need to research.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I am in between insurance companies and I went to refill a monthly prescription and they charge $300.00. Went to Walmart and paid $24.00 (with no insurance). Transferring all of mine now and will never shop there again.

Original review: June 25, 2019

There should be a zero ⭐️‘S option. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, it did. I couldn’t tell you the number of times they lost a prescription, couldn’t find it, it got deleted somehow, or they’re waiting on insurance approval, after I already verified it was approved. I called this morning about my dog’s medication. I was told they would contact the animal hospital for his refills. I called again this evening to check on it and was told my dog hasn’t had any refills since 2018. He gets his medicine refilled every month at the same location in Millbrook, AL. My poor dog is in pain and needs his meds. I’m so fed up with this pharmacy!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Walgreens is running a game on patients that frequent their pharmacies. The plan is called the Exclusive Smart90SM/Walgreens Program and for the laymen, also known as the Walgreens 90 day prescription program. It was initiated in 2009. Basically, it works like this: you purchase a ninety day supply of medications and the out of pocket cost or co-pay is higher than a thirty day fill. It must be a maintenance drug, i.e., pills that are necessary over an extended period of time. Patients are taken off maintenance medicines everyday by their doctors and switched over to another med. So if you’re at the thirty day mark, you are stuck with sixty pills. So, the patient has already paid the co-pay, if not the entire cost, if he or she has no insurance. Walgreens pharmacy already has their money as does the drug manufacturer. The patient has no recourse.

Walgreens website states about returning drugs: “By law, we cannot accept returns of prescription products for reuse or resale.” Sixty wasted pills, why not find a way to redistribute them? Or refund the patient. At my Walgreens pharmacy, they really push the ninety day program. Innumerable texts, telephone calls and the pharmacist more than willing to speak to you about it.

Original review: June 14, 2019

The Walgreens Pharmacy at 5340 Soutel Drive Jacksonville, Florida 32219. I don’t recommend this place. They’re always out of stock with their medications. I be out of my much needed medication for over a week sometimes because no one ordered it & when asked why the orders wasn’t placed that week all they do is point fingers at the other one. When the opportunity presents itself I will be changing pharmacies. If any of you can avoid causing senseless aggravation on yourself I suggested you not use this Pharmacy.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Sent my 17 year old to put a prescription in at Walgreens Pharmacy. It was last minute. I figured I could pick it up in morning if they couldn’t fill it that night. My son came home upset because the pharmacist refused to take the prescription. Then she proceeds to make him uncomfortable with her rude attitude. We really needed that medicine because my cat had neck surgery that day. She started showing signs that she was in pain!! I called to ask why they didn’t take the prescription and she would not answer the phone. It wasn’t even 9:00 yet.

I called in the morning at 8:00 to talk to manager. It was a horrible experience. Most mangers say something like "I’m really sorry that happened. Come on down let’s get this done. Or I’m sorry, I will do my best to figure out why she didn’t answer the phone." I got told I needed to understand she was busy, she was probably was on the phone with a doctor. Lol I don’t think she was talking to a doctor at 8:55 at night. It was excuse after excuse defending her store. ALL I NEEDED TO HEAR IS THEY ARE SORRY. SO SIMPLE!!! Funny, she kept telling me how she prides herself on her customer service. I think she should keep telling herself that and maybe some day she’ll actually know what that is!!

Original review: June 6, 2019

We always have problems filling prescriptions with Walgreens. Incompetent and combative personnel. Across the street CVS never has a problem...Express Scripts is our carrier. We have resigned ourselves to have medications shipped.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Inventory management is very bad: they often don't have drugs in stock. They say they need to place an order, expecting customer to return the next day to pick it up. What is the point of a pharmacy -- you go to them with a prescription and they should have it. This has happened with 3 different drugs -- so not unusual for Walgreens. More importantly, drug quality cannot be relied upon. Walgreens does not ensure quality medications.

Twice have been given medicine that was COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE. One was a pain killer after surgery, for which I even filed a formal FDA complaint. This was supposed to be a strong pain killer, and I have a low tolerance for drugs, so I was very surprised when the dosage did absolutely nothing. Then I took a second pill, which I never need to do. NO EFFECT. That's when I contacted FDA and gave them all the data (because there are problems in general with controlled substances being intercepted by people who are stealing the drugs and replacing with fakes, so I thought it important that FDA be made aware that Walgreens was selling something that was obviously fake). When I told Walgreens about the issue, they had no interest, even when I told them that FDA had been formally notified. Walgreens couldn't care less and probably continued to sell that drug.

Second was a generic version of **. Completely ineffective. I had been using CVS pharmacy for years for this drug, so I was very familiar with how effective it should be. Only when I switched to Walgreens did the generic stop being effective. Discovered that Walgreens uses a different generic supplier than CVS -- and apparently this supplier is providing a terrible version. They could use a better supplier (the one CVS uses) but Walgreens apparently doesn't care about efficacy as much as they do about their profit margins.

Had my doctor prescribe brand name, then Walgreens doesn't have it and has to special order it. What?! It's a common medicine. Pharmacist says, "Well, we only have 1 patient that uses this, so we only order enough for that 1 person." That's absurd for a large pharmacy. I ended up switching back to CVS. (I thought their service wasn't good because they're so busy, but at least their drugs actually work as intended). Walgreens has quality control problems!

Original review: June 2, 2019

Community Walgreens in Atlanta GA

1) Pharmacy betrayed my trust, calling my doctor to say they did not think I would be taking a drug.
2) Pharmacy shipped me a prescription I specifically asked them not to.

3) Pharmacy refuse to transfer all of my drugs to a new pharmacy.

Original review: May 31, 2019

This company has continued to make mistakes on repeat delivery medications, that are crucial to take regularly. The incompetence with this make shift home delivery Pharmaceutical go-between, is astonishing! How they are still in business and have not been sued beyond repair is a phenomenon. Beside the fact that large pharmaceutical companies are loosing revenue by AllianceRX inability's. There are patients that are left without necessary medications. Some of these prescriptions have to be taken in a timely manner, or the bodies immune system will reject it, such as **. Autoimmune suppressants are very important for those Approximately 50 million Americans that live with autoimmune diseases.

If you have medications that are to be taken as prescribed by your physician. I would strongly discourage you from doing business with this company. Fortunately in US there are plenty of pharmacies to choose from and I suggest choosing wisely. Living with health issues can be hard enough without a go-between making it harder or putting you at greater risk.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Employee refused to allow my 74 year old mom to use the bathroom. Upon arriving to the store, my mom had an urgent need to urinate due to a medical condition. He absolutely refused even after I said my mom has a medical condition and I've spent thousands of dollars there over the years going in there 1 or 2 times a week for many years. JUST UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL!!!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I been getting my prescriptions from Walgreens. It's suppose to be autofill but that never happened. My prescription changed. I try to pick it up and they tell me, "It's 157 dollars for generic." I looked on the internet, found several pharmacies with a price between 33.90 and 40 dollars. Walgreens is the highest. They ripping people off specially when you on Medicare. Somebody needs to investigate them and their shady prices. How can so many pharmacies only charge 33-40 dollars and they want 157? They cheating a lot of people and when you on a fixed income you can not afford price gouging to help them enrich themselves. They should be ashamed of their scamming older and disabled people.

Original review: May 26, 2019

My wife and I have been using Walgreens for years. They are everywhere, open 24 hrs and my wife likes using their rewards club savings. As complicated as it is, she has found a way to use it. Today we had a problem with an $8.00 coupon not printing out at the register. The manager was called to the front and we could tell when he finally got there that he was in a very bad mood. He proceeded to not say hi or even look up and acknowledge us. He reached his hand out across the register and asked for our rewards card. He fixed the problem and handed us the coupon, never looked at us, never said thank you or sorry for the inconvenience. Arrogant. CVS is across the street.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I requested a refill on my meds and chose delivery - I was told within a few days I would receive it. It's been 15 days and I still don't have it. When I submitted it I noticed they had my correct street address, but wrong city/zip. I immediately called and they corrected it, or so they told me. I noticed on tracking that they tried to deliver at incorrect address and therefore sent it back.

When I called again they had not updated address but since I was out of my meds they said they would contact local Walgreen's and I could pick up a few at no cost to me to get me by until mine came in. I get a message from Walgreen's stating it was ready. I drive 40 miles to get it and was told I owed the full cash amount because it was too early with insurance to get them again. After numerous attempts to tell them what happened they refused to do anything. I told them to just keep it and I left. So now I'm still without my meds and I'm leaving tomorrow to go out of town for a week. NEVER will I do this again.... Very disappointed in not only the delivery service but the staff at the local Walgreen's.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Walgreens printed a $4 coupon and would not accept it the next day only to tell me the coupon was printed in error. How is that my problem? They are willing to lose customers over their error. I tried to call customer service and they did not offer any solution to the problem. How about honoring the coupon?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Walgreens final complaint. Initial call to Walgreens was at 10:18 PM to refill ** (90 day supply). I was on hold for 2 hours 14 minutes. Second call at 1:24 AM, spoke to Gina, explained the situation and that I still needed to reach the pharmacy. She said she would put me on hold and page the pharmacist to pickup. He did in < 2 minutes. The pharmacist on duty refused to give me his name. I asked 3 times. I then asked if he was refusing to give me his name and he said to me (2-3 times), “You can call me Doctor.” I told the Doctor how long I was on hold and he angrily told me he didn’t put anyone on hold. “I was at the register all night dealing with customers.”

Personally, I was afraid of pursuing the matter, lest he refuse me my prescription. After taking the prescription information, the Doctor went on to berate me about getting the Walgreens app. “You need to get the app.” He said I should get a smart phone. I told him I have one and his response was, “Any blind person can use a smart phone.” During the whole interaction this Doctor was extremely rude and antagonistic towards me.

Walgreens, you are the same corporate pharmacy, along with a PCP that screwed up my insulin prescriptions, in 2014-2015. The result was a trip to urgent care and then the ER, suffering a mini stroke (TIA) and blood sugars over 500. My memory and cognitive abilities suffered during that time and I believe I still struggle because of the TIA. But, I believe the culprit was this same “Mr. DOCTOR”, located at a different Walgreens. I would go to the pharmacist explaining I kept running out of insulin. He insisted nothing had changed in my prescription over time and I, the patient, was doing something wrong. “No, Walgreens and the PCP were not on the same page.” That pharmacist was usually distressed, angry and rude to me and others.

My third call was at 1:31 AM to speak with a store manager to make a complaint. Again, Gina responded and said she was the manager for the night. She was very polite, caring and represented Walgreens professionally. She gave me the pharmacist first name, Curtis. Gina agreed to speak with him and leave a message for the day manager to call me. Curtis, on the other hand, a Walgreens professional, showed nothing but insolence and disrespect towards me from the first word out of his mouth tonight. Walgreens, please understand: “NO one deserves to be treated this way, especially the sick and handicapped!”

Original review: May 15, 2019

I joined Walgreen Pharmacy (680 + Landess, 2105 Morrill Ave. 95132) for 1 year. Most recent 3 medicines, they don’t have (vender not supply). When Walgreen finally got it, they said my insurance is not cover it. Then took me several days to talk to the insurance mgr. The mgr said, with ** is not cover, none ** is. So 3 months wasted still don't have medicine for my cough. I'm very upset. This Walgreen has very little storage. The pharmacists are busy all the time. They do not tell us which of the two medicine they have and which one is covered by insurance. So I need to run between my doctor, several Walgreen, and other Pharmacies. I give this Walgreen ONE Star.

Original review: May 14, 2019

You cannot get the concept that my insurance co. does not choose my medications my doctor does. Just because my insurance co. does not cover it doesn’t mean I can’t pay cash. After telling them when I place order I will pay cash. Always shortage of physician prescribed meds. I have had to go back every few days just to get enough meds. 5 days worth, then back for ten days worth, then back for five days worth, finally getting angry and miraculously they have enough. They can’t read coupons you bring and tell you the RX does not apply to you because I am on Medicare but the terms and conditions do include Medicare coverage which is written on coupon. They are frustrating and I am moving my prescriptions elsewhere.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs