3.84/5
Based on 2,555 ratings submitted in the last year

Walgreens Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

Several weeks ago I called Walgreens to report an issue regarding a Walgreens branded product that didn't perform to expectations. I was referred to the manufacturer. It had been several weeks and I hadn't heard anything from the manufacturer; when I called them to check on the status of my report, they said that refunds needed to come from Walgreens. So, I called Walgreens customer service department again and explained the situation. This time I didn't get the runaround and was pleasantly surprised when the representative promptly and cheerfully "deposited points" into my rewards account, enough points to cover the cost of the branded product that did not meet my expectations.

The reason I've designated the experience as only "4-stars" instead of five is because although the experience speaking to the representative was very pleasant and I am happy to have received points, it's not a "100% satisfied" situation to me because of how the Walgreens rewards program currently works. My understanding is that now when points are built up, you can't use a whole lot of them in one transaction; points seem to work more like coupons now where perhaps the most you can apply to a transaction is maybe only $5.00. If $5.00 is the maximum that can be redeemed in a single transaction, that wouldn't be enough to even cover the replacement cost of the unsatisfactory product in the Walgreens brand, much less to purchase a name brand replacement.

Yes, they've awarded points to cover the cost spent for the unsatisfactory product (and even with extra points beyond -- for which I am grateful!) but it would be better to be able to just get a free replacement product and not have to pay sales tax twice (once on the original unsatisfactory item and again when it's a new sale for the replacement, but with points that work like a coupon). (Tax generally isn't collected on even exchanges.) If all the points received could be redeemed all at once, then that would be a five-star experience!

Original review: March 21, 2019

There are a lot of advantages to using the Walgreens Pharmacy. These advantages include in-store and drive-through service at most locations, 24-hour service at many locations, as well as reasonable wait time and knowledgeable pharmacists. They also have an easy to use phone system for re-ordering prescriptions as well as an option for auto filling prescriptions you need regularly. They do have one issue I find frustrating when encountered. The first is when they run out of my medication I use monthly. They know I need it every month and yet don’t have it when time to reorder.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I rely on Walgreens Pharmacy, in particular, because of its convenient location; they offer home delivery from the (physical) store/through the mail; in the twelve years (approximately) that I have patronized Walgreens there have been maybe 3 errors regarding my prescriptions, very efficient -- the pharmacy personnel are friendly, and really seem to care... Switched from Walmart Pharmacy years (12) ago; the personnel there were uncaring, and even dismissive at times, even when *they* were the cause of a mistake; the lines would be extremely long and the personnel would work at a snail's pace -- although not perfect either, Walgreens has been a refreshing alternative...

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was with CVS for 3 years and kept switching pharmacies hoping that the next would be better than the last. They weren’t. I kept debating about whether to switch to Walgreens and finally did. I’ve been with Walgreens for about a year and a half now. They are Sooo much better than any of the CVS pharmacies I was with. Mine actually has a drive through pick up which makes it extra nice. The pharmacy is consistent with my meds, never had an error in the entire time I’ve been with them, and they are quick with the Dr approvals. I should have switched to Walgreens years ago!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Pharmacist on duty at that time was inconsiderate and unprofessional. Repeat of attitude from month before. We are going on a trip, needed to have sleeping pill order filled early. First answer was they did not have enough to fill order. Second answer was my request was too early. Seems to delight in giving customers a hard time. My script bottle indicated I had it filled 2/6/19, but apparently I am at fault for February only having 28 days. I don't know how Walgreens compensates for months that have 31 days. Normal service from pharmacists at this location are very good to excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walgreens Pharmacy?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Long phone wait times, hang ups, incorrect refill labels and generally a don't care attitude in Pharmacy at Lebanon and Preston in Frisco, Texas. Thank god it is enrollment time and I was able to switch for 2020.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

My doctor did not prescribe the flu vaccine nor do I want a flu vaccine but Walgreens is texting me my flu vaccine needs to be refilled. I called corporate. They said to call my local pharmacy because they were texting me. I called my local Walgreens and they told me I'd the only way to get out of that is to opt out of getting text messages about needing refills. This is very unethical of Walgreens. It will make people think their doctors prescribed a flu vaccine when they may not have. But of course it's a good way for Walgreens to bring in more money.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Recently I have been asked to provide my full birthdate online, may have been a controlled substance, not sure. It was a refill. I called and was told they needed to verify my identity. This practice is bad online security and it is nonsense as it is not being mailed and I am logged in supposedly to secure site wherein my identity was already verified. I will no longer use online and probably will change pharmacies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Store is fine but Corporate spam and phone calls drove me crazy. Corporate promotions and their Walgreens site are out of control and should be taken to court! I signed up for a Walgreens Account to track my prescriptions and check NO Promotions. 6-7 promotional emails a week. 4 call to Help number. Each time "we are sorry will stop in 10 days or less". Never did!!!! Had them close the account and guess what....that night a got a promotional phone sales call. All indications of a Company going down for the count.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Since Rite Aid in our town became Walgreens we live in a nightmare. Calls, calls, calls, if you don"t answer the phone - voice messages... You do not listen it? Right!!!! Text messages one after other. You have to send some text back or make a lot of moves doesn't matter what your plans are. Tonight I have to go to work overnight but who cares? They keep calling, sending text and voice messages etc. No it even is not connected with your prescription ready but some junk that is not interesting to me at all. Now instead to be sleeping before to go to work I am, pissed, must to do calls to the pharmacy to ask them to remove my cell from reminder list, 1000 first time already. You think I didn"t do it before? You are mistaken.

Walgreens Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walgreens Pharmacy is a widely-known provider of pharmaceutical services across North America. Walgreens’ online pharmacy is a quick, convenient way to get prescriptions refilled. Prescriptions can be delivered to a specific store and managed from anywhere with an Internet connection. Consumers can set up an account and manage their health from an online dashboard.

• Prescription refills: Consumers can refill prescriptions online using their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkouts allow for multiple prescriptions to be refilled at once with a prescription number and an email address. Consumers can also refill prescriptions via email and text message.

• Medicare Part D: Consumers using Medicare Part D can check online for a full list of providers that use the Part D savings plans. Walgreens offers zero dollar copays on tier one, generic prescriptions on selected plans. Medicare Part D members also receive drug plan options such as personalized drug plan advice.

• Medicare Part B: Medicare Part B is a Medicare plan that caters to diabetes customers and does not come with a prescription plan. Walgreens offers zero dollar out-of-pocket costs, 90-day prescriptions refills, 24/7 access to a pharmacist and same day availability for Medicare Part B customers.

• Specialty pharmacy: Customers who require specialty medication for long-term treatment plans can enroll with Walgreens' specialty pharmacy. This accredited division of Walgreens Pharmacy will ensure drugs are delivered with care based on their storage requirements. The specialty pharmacy can manage customers' prescription refill schedules, help find financial assistance and explore customers' benefit options.

• Mobile app: Consumers can manage their health from Walgreens' mobile app. They can set pill reminders, keep track of prescriptions, schedule refills and earn rewards points from their mobile device.

• Accreditation: Walgreens specialty pharmacy is accredited by the URAC and the ACHC.

• Best for: people with Medicare and special medication requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs