3.6/5 (219 ratings)

About Zales

Zales Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?

Original review: May 22, 2021

My daughter bought me a Mother’s Day ring. Was given to me on a Sunday. I called customer service on Saturday because one of the gems were loose and because they didn’t purchase a protection plan they will not cover fixing the ring. Very very very disappointed. Will never buy from them again.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Purchased an engagement ring from these people. They try to make you feel like you're lucky they do business with you and that their stones are such quality. NOT TRUE!!!! Had the ring appraised by an independent, trusted gemologist ... She said the diamond was garbage and not near the rating that Zales claimed. Also, Zales should be more concerned with the diamond business and less with the SOCIAL ENGINEERING business. Their commercials are over-the-top with political correctness and trying to steer social behavior. Stay away from Zales.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I would rate Zales a -5 if I could. The worse customer service in the jewelry industry in my opinion. I have the extended warranty on my bridal set and I’ve needed repairs not once but twice for the diamonds falling out of the band. They told me I would be responsible for the lost diamond. The sales associate was rude and condescending suggesting that the missing diamond was my own fault. I have rings and necklaces from Kay’s and have never had an issue!!! Will NEVER buy from them again!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2021

Husband gave me a pair of 1CT diamond earrings for VDay. Got them w/o an appraisal. NEVER NOT gotten one even on EBay. Told not ALL come w/ 1. WHAT? Appraised for a fraction of what we paid. RETURNED 'EM!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I ordered a pair of earrings on January 25th. I received another customer's earrings in February 5th. I called customer service and explain what had happened. They said they have 2 weeks to pull a ticket. 2 weeks later I did not receive any contact so I contacted them again. They said give them 1 more week. I just received an email on the 27th of February stating they will send me a refund in an e-gift card for the amount owed to me. I responded.. I just wanted the company to credit my charge card. Unfortunately that’s their policy. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Purchased a Disney necklace in October, and purchased the lifetime warranty. It has since (3 months) broken 3 times and can’t be worn. I’ve only worn it 3 times! It’s been getting repairs more time than I’ve had it in my possession. I was told that it will forever keep breaking in the same spot and needs to be exchanged. But to do this, I have to void my lifetime warranty and buy another expensive one, for a terrible chain that will just break again- in the words of the local manager. So despite spending so much money for LIFETIME warranty, I need to give them more money for them to fix the issue. Beyond frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Found a really nice sale going on for Valentine's Day. I ordered a beautiful heart shaped pendant for my girlfriend early so I could beat any type of delays. It arrived before the scheduled date which was nice, but after she opened it up, we saw that the chain was broken, making the piece unwearable. After calling customer service they said we could take it to a store location to have it repaired which we did. It would have been 5 stars if it didn't arrive damaged, but happy that we could just go to a store to solve the issue vs having to deal with shipping items back.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My husband bought me a new wedding set for Christmas. He gave them to me early because they may need to be sized, I took them in on the 19th. They said they would be back the 12th. Their online service to see how far it has gotten has had my rings still being shipped and it's a whole later. I cant get a straight answer from the store. He has warranty on them but this will be my last time having them ship my merchandise anywhere, very unsatisfied with this service.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Why I’ve tried 3 times to purchase items on the online store is my own fault but I’m letting others know not to! This company charges your account when items are not in stock and keeps a hold on your money for days almost a week! The charge should never go thru when the item is not in stock and when you try to exit out of the screen it charges your account a second time! Forget this company!! Cheap jewelry anyway! Customer service will only say the charge will drop off but they don’t know when! My money should not be held when I didn’t get to buy anything!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My situation started on February 17, 2020 when my husband and I dropped my wedding band and engagement set off for our yearly inspection (we get our rings inspected regularly, but we do this check every February) and rhodium coating. This is not something new, but a regular occurrence that we have done to maintenance our ring between the time the rings were purchased in 11/2005 and our wedding date in 6/2007. We purchased the rings and two different warranties from Gordons and have maintained our rings throughout our ownership. We moved to the Frederick area 8 years ago and started working with the Zales in Frederick at the FSK Mall. Let me first mention, that ever since our first interactions and bringing all our original paperwork over, this has been a difficult experience with multiple store owners and little to no communication.

This year, our ring needed a prong fixed and then dipped in Rhodium. The first week in March I reached out to the store and inquired about my ring and they said it should be ready for pick up within the next week or so. By the third week in March the store manager called and informed me that the store would be closing due to the state mandate by our Governor due to COVID-19. Although I was disappointed, I completely understood and was assured my ring would be safe.

In May, I attempted to reach back out to the store and was told by recording that the store was still closed. I was able to reach Zales corporate who immediately found my ring, informed me that the ring was completed and would FED-EX me my ring immediately. I received my ring the first week in June. My Ring which was originally soldered together back in June 2007 was now in two pieces, dipped in YELLOW gold (Not Rhodium/WHITE gold) and had loose diamonds. I reached out to the associate from Corporate and she gave me the contacts to get this resolved but unfortunately due to the circumstances with COVID the local stores were unable to help at that time (Which we still understood and stayed patient).

By August, our store here in Frederick was open, so we made an appointment and went in with our damaged rings. The NEW store managers introduced themselves, apologized and assured us that they would fix the problems. In September, the rings came back re-dipped in Yellow gold and with a big hole in the sides and a terrible solder job. They re-sent the rings out to be fixed. They came back in November finally dipped in Rhodium, but the holes that were once on the sides of my rings were poorly soldered, my Marque diamond was off center, and re-set which caused a gaping hole at the top of my band. Not to mention that there were several diamonds loose.

The store managers smiled the entire time and provided excuses and acted baffled at first, but then agreed that ring was not right. We refused to take the rings back and insisted they get this fixed. This is when I requested to speak with Sean because there was no direct plan to fix the integrity of our rings which was now compromised and at this point was being handled unprofessionally. From November to now (12/26/20) we have been advised that our ring is now in the hands of JARED GALLERIA in Frederick in order to fix these mistakes. My husband has worked with the JARED store and has been pleasantly surprised and impressed with their customer service.

We have been advised that the Zales store has been holding up the process since 12/4/20 and have not approved the work orders until my husband walked in with them last week. The actual managers that we have been working with since August walked to the back room of the store and refused to come out to speak with him, instead had one of their employees approve the work order from JARED. This was all during the Christmas rush while the store had multiple customers. I am appalled at the customer service we have experienced and the lack of ownership from all involved. I STILL HAVE NOT SPOKEN WITH THE DISTRICT MANAGER and STILL DO NOT HAVE MY RINGS.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I ordered a pair of earrings from the Zales website. The first ordered was cancelled by Zales without my consent and they claimed there was a PayPal error. I reordered and Zales sent me a notice that the order had shipped. After a few days I got another email from Zales telling me that the order had again been cancelled due to damage to the earrings. I contacted customer service and they did not have an explanation of what was going on and made no effort to fix this issue. They did not appear to want to make it right, try to find the earrings in a store or offer to sale me the earrings from their stock. Poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I tried 3 weeks ago to order my wife a new ring for Christmas. At the time the item was available and I was told that I couldn't order it and have it shipped to the store closest to me. Nothing but a complete disappointment. Zales sucks...

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

This is the worse experience I ever had. I order a set of earrings and they arrived fine. OK quality. I went to order 2 more items. They took my order and I had to provide my Credit Card Information. It wasn't in stock so I didn't place the order. They said, "Let's try it adding your middle initial." "Why", I asked, so they could charge my debit card twice. I never placed the order. While online we looked for another item not knowing they had charged my account. Lo and behold they did the same thing. This resulted in over $700.00 charged to my account when no order was placed. I have to wait 7 to 10 days to get my credit. This is the worse experience I have ever had and I am 63 years old. DON'T order from them unless you want to wait 7 to 10 days for your money back on an order you never placed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I purchase jewelry and had it resized "Riverhead, NY," and was told I would receive a call when it was ready. I received a call several days later and was told that that I could pick it up from the location that I chose. Mind you, the person stated that it was one repair and I questioned it a second time because I had more than one repair. I didn't like the response and stated that I would call the initial store. Then he said "do you want to hear what I have to say," in a quick monotone manner. I said yes, he said that there were two repairs. I stated that was what I asked you. He then stated it was ready for pick up. I asked, "I can pick it up from the store at Queens Mall Ctr?" He stated, yes.

I go to pick up and no jewelry. The Queens Zales store called and then I called speaking to the same person I spoke to before. He tells store a different date from what he told me while I'm standing in the store. Now I'm angry and asked him, "When will I receive my jewelry because I don't like your attitude then and I don't like it now." His response "when the store gets it they will call you." I called the Riverdale store and spoke to manager. She investigated, found out who the person was to make sure I got my order to a closer location and quickly, however she didn't address the situation as to the demeanor of that person and the fact that they messed up with the shipping.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I'm really big on reading reviews before I buy ANYTHING online and I was really nervous about ordering after I read all these negative comments but I did It anyway. I shopped on Black Friday so I got an engagement ring for around 60% off. When I went on the website It said that there was free 2 day shipping which I thought was great. But when I put the engagement ring In the cart It said that It wouldn't ship until the 7th of November... I was a little mad but I like ok whatever as long as It's here before Christmas. It ended up shipping on the 8th and arriving on the 10th. The ring was what I'd ordered and looks beautiful and durable which I already knew It would because of the reviews It had. It looks way more expensive than what It Is and I'm sure my girl will love It. I will be ordering again on Valentine's day and on special occasions. I'm just going to make sure that I order a month or so In advance. :)

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

This location is closing but have had the same experience at multiple Zales. Poor customer service and company does not stand behind their product. Don’t buy for them, and if you do absolutely do not buy the extended protection and then trust to send your ring off with their jeweler for sizing. It will come back ruined with no help from in store staff and no return calls from Corporate.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

This was honestly my worst online shopping experience ever. I have been making online purchases for many, many years, and this is nothing new to me. I attempted to buy my wife a simple, 14k white gold 4mm wedding band as a replacement ring on the Zales site. At check-out I constantly got an error message. I then proceeded to use my PayPal account for payment and received a different error message stating to call customer service.

In this time, unbeknownst to me, my debit card was hit 6 times for $324 as pending, resulting in my checking account going around 2k lighter than it was. I called customer service, and the lady was really nice but it was all scripted BS. She gave me the ole "clear the cookies on my browser" line and I hung up on her. Mind you, this whole process took around 2 hours out of my morning so far.

Right after I hung up I went to their competitor's site, picked the same ring I was looking for, processed my payment, and everything went through fine and in under 2 minutes! I even paid less for the ring, and it will be delivered quicker than Zales quoted me. Now I sit here patiently playing the waiting game to get my 2k back stuck in "pending" due to Zales crappy customer support and webpage errors. Thanks a lot! I will never return.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I got a credit card through these guy. Was treated so bad by this company. I called and canceled the credit card. I refuse to spend my money with a racist company. It's truly sad when does this stop. Truly truly sad.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

It won’t let me give them no stars or else that would be my rating. Purchased a ring from the website. Read the fine print and felt okay about my purchase. A few days later it arrived and they sent me the incorrect ring. I immediately called customer service and was placed on hold numerous times. I simply want the correct ring sent to me. They told me that I could either drive 8 hours away to a store and return the ring in person and then wait 5-7 days for a refund or I could return the ring by mail and wait 30 days. I asked if I could have them ship the ring to the store and exchange it there. I was told no because I can’t exchange an online purchase. This is 100 percent Zales error and they are unwilling to make it right.

I understand if I simply didn’t like the ring and wanted to return it. That is NOT the case. They did not send me what I purchased. This is their mistake. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told they could put in a ticket and one would call me in 24-48 hours. Guess what, it has been 4 full business days and no call. Basically Zales is holding my money hostage and earning interest on it while I have already mailed back their ring. I would have gotten the same customer service if I had a conversation with a potato in my kitchen. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Being a young individual I wanted to help build my credit, so once my fiancé received order to PCS it was time to purchase an engagement ring. First place I thought of was Zales. Since the purchase was made with no issue I also made another large investment to add to my credit card. However this second purchase was on a special deal that was solicited by the store to be paid off in a certain time frame you will pay no interest. Of course as any other person you would think that was a great deal? WELL NO SINCE THIS IS A SCAM.

I called customer care the other day to inquire how much I had left to pay off on my bill and it was almost the same amount since I purchased my sale that has the interest deal. Once the associate located my account she verified I had been making larger payments than the amount due and also verified they had messed up on their end and did not apply any of the remainder to the interest free balance. FOR 9 MONTHS! Instead of the remaining portion of the payment being put towards my interest free portion they did nothing at all and put it towards my contractual balance.

I have paid over $30 plus a month and she stated she would have to "request" to credit my account 90 dollars since only the minimum due was $10 a month and "hopefully" that was approved? So 9 months of payments to only get $90 when it should be around $270? Which by the way was not taken off of it once she requested it, and they denied it and did not give reasoning. This is a scam to open the sales account and poor customer service. Once this bill is paid not only will I close my account I will also let other military spouses know as well in order to make sure they are not taken advantage of as I have been. I will not be using Zales as a jeweler any longer for myself or my spouse's jewelry which is unfortunate considering both of our wedding rings/bands and other jewelry have been purchased through this company.

Original review: July 11, 2020

Worst online shopping experience I have ever had. Ordered ring for my wife for first year anniversary. Ordered May 1st, needing it for July 1st. Thought 2 months advance would be plenty. WRONG. Arrived July 1st, wrong ring, missing a band and the band that was there was missing a diamond. Spent hours and hours on hold with customer service only to get hung up on and told that they can’t see any info. “Expedited” ticket put in to have it resent. Been 20 days and the ticket hasn’t been reviewed. When all else fails, expect customer service to blame COVID. If you want any answers, you will have to contact the vendor directly like I did. If you want your proposal or anniversary ruined, and to get ZERO courtesy from the company that ruined it, choose Zales.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I ordered a ring May 24 with estimated shipping date of June 26th. Weeks go by and I get no updates. I go to the online chat after waiting 20 minutes just to be told there was no update on my order. I check again the following week and was told jeweler who was in charge of my ring was closed due to COVID and just reopened. New estimated delivery date July 20. Today I received first email ever with the same song and dance and now estimated delivery date is Aug. 7. I thought Zales had high standards and professionalism. I won't purchase from them again. I may cancel order - not sure yet.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I ordered a ring on June 2nd with an estimated shipping date of June 24th. That day rolls around and NOTHING. I have waited on hold for OVER an hour and half just to be informed that the vendor who supplies my ring is CLOSED due to COVID. Why even list a ring for sale when the vendor isn't open?? I was told then the ring would be shipped on July 10 instead. I check back through the online chat, just to verify and am then informed that whoever told me July 10th was incorrect and that they still have no idea when I will get my ring. The level of incompetence is incredible. I was misled, lied to and misinformed. No two customer service agents have given me the same information. I will not ever be doing business with Zales again and I have cancelled my order.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Horrible experience with this company. I lied to by the customer that sold me the jewelry, I guess so she could get a sale, she lied to me and now I'm paying the consequences for not reading the agreement and trusting their employees. She told me I had 18 months of no interest and said after that I would just accrue the interest that would accrue on a regular month. Now I'm stuck with 2k of interest for those 18 months. I called and tried to pay the 3k and they did not try to help so now I'm stuck with 5k. I will never go there in my life again, they are very dishonest people!!!! Customer reps are ** too!!!!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I ordered a ring from Zales on May 18th... It is now June 29 and it still hasn’t shipped. On June 25th, After waiting an hour, I finally got Into a chat room with a “customer server representative” and I asked why it hasn’t shipped yet. The response I got was something like “as you could see on your customer dashboard it says it should get there on the 24th.” (Keep in mind this was the 25th.) “However we have not shipped it. We will ship it when we can.” Then left the chat right after sending that message. Leaving me chance for me to cancel my order (which I’m trying to do now.) So to summarize, Zales has pretty rings, but apparently they don’t have customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Thought I had found the perfect anniversary wedding band for my wife of only 2 years. Ordered it on the 8th of June with the expected arrival date of June 22nd. It’s now June 29th. I’ve called customer service only to be put on hold for more than an hour. I called an actual store and the lady (who was very nice) tried to help but couldn’t. My anniversary is tomorrow!!! What am I to do???? Zales has to do better with these types of issues. Soon I’ll pursue steps to get my money back. I’m not happy about this company ruining my anniversary.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Not sure what is going on with Zales right now, but I placed an order over 2 weeks ago. I noticed the disclaimer about shipping taking a little longer. Figured it would ship within a week or so. Most stores are still shipping items within a day or two. Not Zales. 15 days and still has not shipped. I call customer service and sit on hold for over an hour! I can prove it as I timed it. I was able to get through to Cruise ship company to discuss refunds faster than this. Then, I look on website for the "chat" option. It is listed as "Currently unavailable." Been like that for quite some time now. STAY AWAY from Zales until they get their act together. Oh, BTW, they keep posting new items on Facebook, but won't respond to my comments or messages. Despicable! SHIP MY ITEM!!!

Original review: June 23, 2020

WORST COMPANY EVER. In a nutshell, this company doesn't keep their promises to their customers. I regret giving them my business and I recommend everyone not to. If you are up to wasting time waiting your item go for Zales.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I've Placed an order on may 10th, it was supposed to be delivered 5/19. Called customer service 5 times. Each time they had no clue about my order. I don't think Zales have any customer service. The Reps are there to answer from zales website. Avoid them as much you can. NEVER AGAIN ZALES, YOU RUINED MY PLANS.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I planned a trip/flight to see my girlfriend on June 20th for which I'll be proposing. Placed my order on May 3rd, it currently says "Pending". A week later I receive an email from "SterlingWebCCS" (not found anywhere on the internet) stating due to COVID-19 my order would be "estimated" to June 19th. I've rescheduled/paid for my flight a month out to July 25th. I've contacted Zales Customer Support and they didn't have any information regarding my order only that the delay due to COVID-19 (scripted for customers). I asked where my order is being prepared/shipped from and they didn't answer that question.

I asked why my funds were returned to my account and they stated their system only charges you when the order is fulfilled. Many people don't just keep large amounts of money in their bank accounts, this can clash with mortgage, phone, car, insurance..etc payments. So when they decide they want to charge for the order placed, the card may not have the funds and further delaying my order. June 19th isn't a promised date and could take longer.

I'm not sure why Zales is going through 3rd party vendors and if that vendor is closed, you won't get your order as "estimated". I find it very inconvenient that it would take almost 2 months for my order to be here and if I get the order I won't have time to return it whether it's damaged or don't like the look. That would result me in rescheduling my flight and paying more money. Their system wasn't setup to handle such a pandemic or economic crisis. Zales system is bad and they shouldn't outsource their merchandise. I'm just scared I won't even get or like my order when It's here.

Zales Company Information