Value City Furniture
1.04/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

Last updated: April 23, 2018

245 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2018

Have had to call Value City several times within months. 3 bad mattress. All 3 times with the same problem with sinking in the middle. This last time they left me a voice mail telling me they will be delivering me a new mattress in exchange for the very same mattress, I think not. In the past I was told to go into store and choose another of equal value, but VC you will not give me anything you want, that's not it. Also purchased sofa/loveseat recliners which are horrible. After getting them home, no support to them at all, when you recline you feel like you sinking in the hole, very cheap. They were brought to me defective but did not know, knew something was wrong, VC sent someone out to check the mattress/sofas out and he took pictures and wrote reports on both because he witnessed the defects.

I am so angry that VC has not called me to apologize and to go into store to pick something else in exchange. Frustrated. Time to contact CORPORATE now, VC will lose me as a Great Customer. Back to Stanley's I go where I know the is made of great quality from experience with them. The one star is for CJ, who helped me in the store. And Ty to Tracy ** who was sent out by VC, examining mattress/sofas, took pictures and was very professional.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve had the worst experience with Value City. I mean I only been dealing with them since March of 2018. I was told everything was going to come April 7 and it didn’t. The employees are rude and don’t even make things clear. I mean I didn’t get a option to choose from a box or split spring for my bed and the lady who sold me the items was so thirsty for a sell so she completed my order without asking.

My bed come and the box spring didn’t fit. I explained to the lady on the phone what happened and I had to pay more money. I mean they couldn’t work out anything for the mistake their worker caused. I mean they call and harass you about making your monthly payments on time, but is a horrible furniture company and their employees need to be retrained. The delivery driver got my number out of my files and texted my phone after. I have had it with them! Yes I’m making a complaint now Because I couldn’t find a place too and now I did. Come July when everything needs to be paid off, I’m paying it off and I’ll never deal with this place again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Not up to par with Macy's, Bob's or similar stores... They have the worst customer service. They are quick to say I'm sorry about every issue but refuse to take ownership of any problem. I purchased a kitchen table in November. One of the legs had a major crack in it. After several attempts to get a tech out to review the issue (2 months later in January) one arrived. He informed me and my wife that he needed to order a replacement leg. He also mentioned that it may take up to sixty days to arrive. OK, in mid-March I called to get a status of the leg replacement and was informed that someone on the Value City side dropped the 'ball' and the replacement leg was not ordered.

I was assured they would rush the order and get the leg by late March. OK, late March arrived and I was told that the leg never arrived and they would have to put another leg on order. But this time a manager would follow this until completion. April came and no call from the manager or Value City. After I made numerous calls and finally reaching another manager I was told that they would take the leg from one of the full tables and install it on my table. Now it is late April (six months later) and I am still waiting on a replacement leg to a kitchen table that we cannot use in fear it will fall and hurt someone. Recommendation, if you can afford a few extra bucks more, stay away from ValueCity. The long time statement is true... 'You get what you pay for'...

Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought a bed in VCF. They bring it 2 weeks later and it was broken. They let the pieces in here. They scheduled to bring it for a second time and came broken again. They also let the broken pieces here again, so I went to the store to change for another bed. They charge me for the delivery again, and for the 5 years customer care again (so I end up with a cheaper bed for the same money I already paid). They scheduled the delivery for today but they never came and customer services says the delivery came and it was nobody in home (I was here, I didn't went to work to wait for them), so today I have my room full of pieces of a broken bed. I have charge for 2 deliveries. They didn't came. They says it's my fault, I lose one day of job, and the customer services says they can do nothing, even I have to call again tomorrow to reschedule because they can't do anything today.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I don't review somebody over the internet but I don't know what makes me writing a review here. Maybe I am just really upset. Back in 2015 I purchased $2800 in total furniture from Value City which includes $700 sectional sofa (reverse) too. After a year of minor use first broke from bottom, somehow balanced it and in next year it's started peeling off and now I feel like throwing it in a trash. Seriously not gonna buy from value city again. They are expensive for inexpensive/cheap stuff. :/

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: April 5, 2018

About 5 years ago, I needed to replace my bed. I went to Value City on Lafayette Road. I sat on the model and found it to be quite firm. Just what I was looking for. I paid for it and waited for delivery. When they delivered it by the time I noticed it was not the one I ordered it was too late to do much. The bed mattress was very flimsy. This seems to be an ongoing thing with place like Value City. I see there are thousands of complaints on this exact problem. Disgusting to be so fooled, especially when your doctors tells you to get a firm mattress.

Original review: April 5, 2018

$1100 couch that is worth nothing. I've had it for a year (with the Pure Promise 5 yr warranty). Cushions are completely sunken down--can't even sit on it because they sink down too far and kills your back, cushions are PEELING. Nothing. They say none of that is covered. Has anyone tried BBB?

Original review: March 25, 2018

Back in October 2013 I purchased mattress from Value City Falls Church, Virginia. A few months later, it started to sink. I contacted the store and they told me a service technician would visit to take measurements. That was done and a few weeks later I got the news that the sunken mattress was not 2 inches deep so they could not do anything. Well, long story short, there were 3 more times I could the store they did the same thing, and ultimately I was told that they would change it if I had it professionally cleaned so they could sell it at Clearance. Oh my I was upset beyond measures. My wife couldn’t believe so she said that it will be thrown away because we can’t continue encouraging them to rip off more people. It’s important to note that I contacted Simmons and they informed me I had to follow the store's policies and procedures. So, I guess I’d add Simmons to the story as an irresponsible and fishy organization.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My children want to get furniture at Value City Furniture being they just bought their house. I purchased the living set furniture and the warranty for them. After having the couch not even a year they had to have someone come out to look at the couch. It was falling apart. They repaired. Now it's falling apart again. A year later they will replace it but the warranty will no longer be any good and they have to pay $70 for delivery or they can pick it up but they have to take the old one back I said and we should charge them $70. This is the biggest rip-off I have ever seen plus their Furniture is no good anymore. It's the cheapest Furniture you could ever get. Stay away. On top of that their customer service people are the rudest unprofessional people you can speak to.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was scammed into getting the pure promise five year warranty that supposedly covered everything. Since I have a preschooler and a toddler it sounded like a good idea. They immediately denied coverage on my sectional couch. When we were moving we discovered the structural damage (this is supposed to be covered) and called on the warranty before even moving the couch. They said it would take a couple weeks for them to send a tech, we still had to move though so we took the couch in a Uhaul to our new home. Tech finally shows up and determines its transit damage despite us calling before we moved and them being unable to send a tech sooner (and they were told that we were moving).

We filed a dispute and they just told us transit damage wasn't covered. Now I'm going to stop here and drop the fact that it wasn't transited until AFTER the damage was noticed and called in and focus on the fact that when I bought this warranty from Michael ** at the VCF on Utica, I was told that literally anything that happened to my couch would be covered. This is a lie apparently because transit damage isn't covered and apparently they can and will just decide that any damage done can be whatever they don't cover. It's ridiculous. And a complete waste of money. I will never purchase from another lying VCF or get a warranty through pure promise. Not to mention the couch didn't even last a year and a half.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Try to make a claim with Pure Promise Warranty that I purchased through Value City Furniture. It's supposed to be a five year warranty. I only had the chair for 3 years. The material failed and came apart. When I tried to make a claim they told me that the material bubbled and cracked and that was not covered under the warranty although if I would have taken a knife and accidentally cut the back cushion then they would have covered the damage. So in other words if you vandalize and destroy your own furniture the warranty will cover it but just damage that occurs due to poor quality material they will not cover. So my advice to anyone that purchases this warranty make sure that your pet chews up the furniture or just take a knife to it and cut it up yourself.

That way your warranty will cover the damage because if you don't vandalize it yourself they will not cover it. They only cover vandalism. The better advice is just keep your money and don't waste your time or your money on the pure promise five-year worry-free warranty because you will be worried whether or not they're going to cover the damage and trust me what they do best is break their promise. Show me very much advised the Pure Promise Warranty is a fraud and a scam.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I furnished my house with your furniture. Had no trouble, but since October it was a nightmare with a sofa bed that I ordered, the first three (3) sofa beds were ripped and had a bad chemical odor. Now the Fourth sofa bed is shredding and they won’t take it back, so they are giving me an even exchange, but I didn’t want that. I want my money back, the customer service people were very nasty, so I put a dispute in with my credit card company to get my money back, they didn’t really care. They were still very nasty. I will not buy anything else in Value City Furniture in Manahawkin, NJ and I need more furniture. I wish something will be done after this review, so people will not go in any Value City Furniture, they have to lose their attitudes and be courteous to their customers.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Been long time customers... bought a king size bed and Mattress... dining room chairs (6)... and TV stand /fireplace. The bed chairs came within 2 weeks. TV stand hasn't come yet month and a half now. We were called 3 times to set up delivery only to find out it's not in yet. Very frustrated. We're told salesman is on vacation. That shouldn't matter. Isn't someone covering him?? Not happy. $3200 hundred dollars which we paid in full.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My nightmare began on February 9th. I ordered a new bed, my old one having broke after 20 years, and I was sleeping on the floor. It was supposed to be delivered on February 14th between 12 and 2. I work so I have to have my mother at the house to do things like this so it was already an inconvenience. They were an hour and a half late. When it came to assembly, the footboard was broken and they couldn't put the bed together. Okay, stuff happens. They reordered the footboard and gave me a new delivery date and time. They showed up a day early unannounced with rails. I didn't need rails. I needed a footboard. They came the next day. With rails. Again.

Finally on March 6th, they get my bed put together but they were, again, an hour late. The driver would not answer the phone to explain anything to me whatsoever. The company has not responded to my emails. When I call, they act like this is normal. The company has made NO effort to do anything for wasting my time and the inconvenience. The manager has not called to check and make sure it went okay or to offer an apology. I would've thought SOME type of effort would have been made on their end to make things right. It's sad because I am a longstanding customer of Value City, as is the rest of my family, because of it's location and affordability. Never again. A person sleeping on the floor shouldn't be given 4 delivery dates and wait a month with no apology or attempt to make things right. Never EVER again. I'll pay more and get my stuff with a company with a better attitude who treats people right.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Bought a leather sectional with warranty. Less than a year and they are broke and seat cushions deteriorated. Made a claim with the warranty and got pushed around for almost 6 months. Finally received repairs and they delivered back the wrong furniture. 2 months later I finally received a replacement piece that was also broken. Repaired myself and that's how I found out that the materials used to make the furniture is the absolute cheapest materials used. Particle board and staples. Junk!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Buying the dining room set from Dearborn was easy. The saleslady was great. I had a issues. The set was on back order so I did not get it until February 2017, and it arrived with defective chairs in the paint, scratches, terrible furniture, just look good. I was sent 4 new ones, and yes I took out that warranty. Now the chairs are peeling and this is just from sitting in the house, we do not sit rarely in the chairs, we use the basement set. Call store. They say it a manufacture's defect, called insurance, say it's the store, we have paid this money over 2k for the set, no one calls you back. Guy that came out with pictures very nasty to you. I'm waiting now as to what new lies I will hear or not hear, but do not buy their furniture. No one has called me back and the chairs are no good. The furniture no good. The warranty no good.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The store located in Charlotte NC has the absolute worst customer service I've experienced in a long time. I just reported this to their corporate office and regional manager due to the experience. When you call they immediately place you on hold sometimes not even saying "hello" first and when they do answer they provide zero assistance. This includes their managers who also don't bother to return calls or follow up with you. I received defective furniture upon delivery and not once has the store called to inquire with me regarding the issue or apologize about the inconvenience. Their delivery team is just as bad as they don't show when they tell you they will. The furniture was delivered with dark smudges on it after they set it up and the bedroom set is white. I'm praying after reading all of the reviews that we aren't going to be dealing with it breaking in the near future due to poor quality. I regret going to Value City Furniture now.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I purchased furniture less than 4 years ago (couch with recliner and a separate dual recliner) and both pieces have broken/cracked recliner parts from normal use of this furniture. The first one happened 2 years after purchase and then again the other just recently. I called to ask what they will do because 2000 dollars and it breaks in 3 years 10 months is not good. They told me nothing as the 1 year warranty is up. This company sells junk and poor quality furniture. The bedroom set we ordered with this was delivered so damaged I just returned it. The people that you ask for help are idiots. I spoke to a Chris **. You could tell he is just robot who is told what to do. I advise to stay away and shop elsewhere. This company is horrible and not customer friendly.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

For over the last year with VCF, my experience with the company has been HORRIBLE...to say the least. Last year my husband and I both purchased a black leather sofa, in which it came in a set...two weeks later we decided to go back and purchased the matching love seat. We stop to speak to the salesperson, and was quickly advised that love seat had been discontinued. So I asked why we were not informed about the discontinuation of that love seat. The salesperson could not give us an legitimate answer for it but only an excuse to state this to us... "We didn't know it and the manufacturer didn't inform us until yesterday." I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

I've had nothing but problem after problems with VCF from the poor and inferior quality of the furniture to the classic poor customer service. Since then I've purchased several other furniture pieces from VCF including a dinette that I had to take it back after only having it for about two weeks because it developed a bubble on the back-side of the chair. I only had the chair for about two weeks and this major defect happened to it in just two weeks. I just figured it out. That store is located in the HOOD where it caters to the lower class of people, therefore you will get for what you pay for and the service that is provided in that area. I will NEVER - EVER!!! Purchased anything from VCF. I will take my business back to iStyle Furniture Store on Northfield Road in Warrenville Heights, OH, where the service is very professional and hands-on engaging with their customers.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I was basically talked into this warranty for the furniture as we have a dog. They said it covers anything from pet stains to rips and tears. Well my wife had cancer and I spent two weeks in the hospital with her on her last few days. The girl that was supposed to let the dog out didn't do it. Needless to say he urinated on the sides of couch. Called and asked to get it cleaned, had a service rep show up take pictures. Then never contact me again. I called. They said it looks like more than one time accident and they aren't responsible for negligence. I stated why it happened. They said not their problem. Ended up buying a rug and upholstery cleaner and doing it myself. Wasted 500 dollars on the warranty that is useless if they don't want to do it. Furniture is ok manufacture wise as it isn't made at VCF. But stay away from that warranty, unless you like giving money away.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Went to Value City in 2016, bought love seat and sofa with recliners, was conned into buying their extended warranty for 5 yrs and was told that if any problems there would be no questions asked. Well the leg rests after 1 yr has gone flat and I was told that it was cushion not cotton filled. Nothing but junk and lies. In beginning I had issues with delivery with love seat. They gave me a broken love seat (wood cracked), I called them. They said they would change it out, that one had tears in fabric, they then said, "We will bring you another one", turned around and gave me the same flipping wood broken in same spot love seat. I spent well over 1k for the furniture with tables that are junk and no one honors the warranty, now I am stuck doing repairs on my own. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. If I knew this would happen I would have kept my 13 yr sectional.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I placed order online on 12/27/17 and was told and writing it will be delivered on 1/13/18 but 2 days before delivery I got a call tell me that items are not available anymore, manufacturer is not making them anymore. When I look up online it is still available for sale. So that angry I went to a store on 86th street Indianapolis and thank God for **. She listened my problems and help me with new repurchases. You can only thank ** that I am still your customer.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have had so many problems with Value City furniture over past few years, but I'm going to just talk about my most recent... My son's bed keeps breaking and even had to be completely replaced a time before. I called to inform them that it is broken AGAIN. They send a tech out. He takes pictures and says someone would contact me. After a month of no contact, I called them. I was told someone would call me back. After another week, I call back and finally talk to the assistant manager who tells me the bed isn't going to be replaced because it was deemed customer abuse. When I asked how, she said it looks like bed was being jumped on. I told her my son is 19 years old and does not jump on the bed.

If she looks back in the notes, she can see this product has been replaced before. Not to mention, he is a college student, so he wasn't even home. Came home for Thanksgiving, sat on the bed, and it broke. Mind you, I'm dealing with Value City and not the warranty place because when I purchased all my other furniture (bed for myself and living room furniture) the warranty was put on everything but his bed. I was told I should have paid better attention. When I called to complain, they agreed to cover servicing it for the time it should have been under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I was due to have a sales rep come and inspect my couch that I purchased in November for a defect. When I scheduled the appointment, I was told the service agent would reach out to me two days before my scheduled date. I never heard from anyone, so the morning of my appointment, I called and they told me that Someone called me the day before my appointment at 618 pm and I had confirmed the time of 1:30 pm- 4:30 pm. I said to the customer service rep that if I received a time I wouldn't be calling this am for a time. The rep on the phone was very rude. So I agreed to the 130 pm-4:30 pm and I return home at 1 pm to wait for the rep to come and assess my couch.

420 pm I am like what's going on. I call the store and they tell me I was a no show and was rescheduled for the next week. I am so mad because again I was lied to and was never informed by anyone from the store about my new scheduled time. No one at the store wants to accept responsibility or accountability for the lies/ misinformation from their team. I have been a customer of Value City for a long time and I have never experienced anything like this. My trust in this company is gone!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Value City Furniture is cheap! We purchased our furniture just over a year ago. A piece of the wood frame busted through the back of the couch. I made a claim (as we had purchased the Pure Promise warranty which is through Uniters) and we were denied because apparently you need to claim within the 15 days. Shame on us for not reading the "fine print". So a different piece of the couch broke on the bottom middle part. My husband called Uniters the same day it happened and they denied the claim. So frustrating! I don't think it matters what the problem is. Uniters will find a way not to cover it and Value City was no help! CHEAP furniture. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I'm very disappointed in my bed, my daughter's bed and my couch. All have broken wood over $3,000 worth of furniture that is now trash!!!! I would NEVER EVER recommend anyone to buy furniture at VCF!!??

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The sectional I bought ended up with wood from inside poking through the back of it only after 14 months after purchase. The table and chair set has unstable chairs that have started falling apart. The furniture is cheap.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Bought a $2200 sectional a couple of years ago when we lived in Ohio and have since moved to Arkansas. Because of the amount of the purchase we opted for the Uniters Pure 7 yr warranty. Two sections of the furniture started peeling so I called to report the problem. I've been told they can only offer a portion of the value based on when it was purchased, and as an in store credit. Oh and by the way, I would have to bring the furniture pieces back to the store. Since I do not live in a state where there is not store they were kind enough to offer a cash settlement of HALF of what the store credit would be, which comes to about 20% of what I originally paid...

So this doesn't sit well because the whole reason you purchase a warranty to cover manufacture defects and the peeling and cracking is CLEARLY a manufacturer's issue. And looking through Value City's reviews I am 100% positive this is a HUGE issue but they refuse as a company to take care of their customer. When you have a 1 star rating, that tells you all you need to know!!! I am the director of sales for a manufacturer of consumer products and extremely familiar with customer service and how important it is to take care of your customer. It's abundantly Value City has no clue where their revenue comes from. If they don't make a change soon they will be out of business in a few years. They are running customer away and there are plenty of other furniture retailers out there that provide a much better customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I purchased the Pure Promise Warranty for my couch thinking it was worth it if I got a stain. It cost an extra $79.99 in addition to the cost of the couch. I contacted them to file a claim because of a stain and they sent someone out with a little green machine to clean the stain which I noticed did not come out until after it dried. I tried to call them the next day and a recording said to allow them 14 days to process the claim and contact me via phone or email. They did not contact me and because I work 12-16 hour days which do not revolve around the hours they are open for calls it took me about a month and a half to call back, I'm sure everyone can relate to time getting away from you.

I called and they denied a new claim because I waited too long to call back, basically saying I wasted my money on this warranty. It is a real shame that they cannot stand behind their "Promise" and honor a claim that should be valid since I paid the money for the warranty no matter how long it took me to call back. I am extremely disappointed and do not recommend anyone purchase this warranty, you could buy a little green machine To clean your own furniture since that is all they will do for you apparently. If I could rate this zero stars I would, it's a complete waste of money and a terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I went to Value City looking for bedroom furniture. The salesman named Marvin assisted me. I had planned to buy the furniture that day using cash. Marvin told me about a promotion they had going on that I could purchase furniture that day and would a year to pay for the furniture in full before being charged any interest. He also mentioned that I didn't have to make any monthly payment and if I chose to skip a month or months I could do so without penalty. Well I found out that Marvin tells lies to get a sale and to get potential customers to sign up for one of their credit cards. I don't appreciate the games salespeople have.

When I called to ask him about what happened to me not having to make a payment if I chose not to, he all but called me a liar. I asked to speak to his manager Kareem and he too in so many words called me a liar. Well, I chose to return their furniture and go to another furniture store where my money is and I am respected and told the honest truth. I don't want to do business with merchants that I feel are untrustworthy... I will take my money and my business elsewhere... I recommend if anyone is considering purchasing from Value City they should really reconsidered. By the way this store is located on Route 40 Baltimore National Pike in Catonsville MD.

Value City Furniture Company Information