Value City Furniture
1.21/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

291 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Very disappointed with the quality of the sofa sectional that I purchased. I was told it was the "top seller". After a couple of months the cushions keep sliding off the sofa. Making it look unsightly and uncomfortable. I filed a complaint, submitted photographs and called and left several messages with the manager. No one has gotten back to me. The person I spoke to on the phone told me "tough luck". I also purchased the lifetime warranty! I am in NJ and purchased from the Rt. 22 location on Greenbrook.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was very happy with my recent furniture purchase. The items were delivered on time and the furniture was great. 1 week later some of the buttons on the recliner would not work properly. I was not disappointed as these things happen from time to time. I called VCF customer care and explained the problem and they scheduled a service person to come over on the December 29th. No one shows up. I call VCF again and they inform me that someone did not pass along my information to the repair center and they cannot come till the 5th of January. On the 4th of January, I receive a voicemail saying the serviceman is on vacation and cannot come until the 15th of January.

Now I begin to get disappointed and call VCF again on January 4th. Customer care told me that this should not have happened and they would call me back in 2 hours and get this resolved. No one calls me for 2 days. On January 7th (Today), I called VCF again and the arrogant customer care rep tells me that my service was automatically rescheduled to the 15th and he cannot do anything about it or help me. He tells me that he does not see any notes from my last calls so he will not comment. This is very disappointing and disturbing that they treat a customer’s time with no respect. There was not even an apology. Just plain arrogance. This is my first time buying furniture for my house and Value City Furniture has seriously disappointed me.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

If I could give zero stars, I would. I have filed two separate claims about my sectional. The first claim was denied stating that manufacturer defect isn't covered in my warranty, but it is. I have copied and pasted the policy that states it is covered. When I called the warranty service center, a representative told me to resubmit my claim and mention frame damage as I am also having those issues. She also said seam separation was covered, which is also listed in the below policy. That claim was denied because the tech said it was pet damage, which is crazy considering I don't have a dog or pet. The tech also said that they would need to put a new cushion on because a zipper broke and it is fraying the back cushion. However, that isn't going to happen and he didn't fix anything.

He removed three nails/ staples sticking out of the sectional that have been cutting my children and I, then took pictures and left. He also said the tear in a seam was there when I purchased the sectional because it is where they notch the arm. Why would I ever purchase furniture if I knew there was already a tear in it?! The tech made up garbage to me and then went back and made up more garbage about a pet that doesn't exist. I have seen the 288 negative reviews on this company and the scams that are taking place with people's hard earned money. This company cons people into buying warranties and then denies the claims with garbage and made up reasons. The entire sectional is falling apart all over. I am sending this entire issue and correspondence to the FTC and BBB immediately. I used the exact language in the policy and they still denied my claims. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Bought a leather sofa and loveseat in April 2018 from American Signature in Altamonte Springs, Florida. After a few uses the furniture started sagging and one side of the loveseat goes to the floor when sitting on it. Manager claimed she could send a "leather expert" to my home to stretch the leather only as a courtesy because the furniture was sold "as is" from their discount room. A man showed up two weeks later and only took pics and said the manager would get back with me in 24 hrs. Said he was only there to take pics.

After not hearing from the store in 2 weeks I called the corporate office and Brandy talked me like she was crazy. Said not to bother going over her head and she wasn't doing anything about my complaint. I work hard for my money and should have stuck with Havertys where I would have gotten real, un-defective leather with spectacular customer service. Value City and American Signature Furniture are lining their pockets with our hard earned money by selling junk.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

We bought the furniture from “VALUE CITY” and purchased 5 yrs extended warranty on our living room set purchase. It was given an impression that it is worth of money. When I had issue with my 3-seater sofa I tried to contact them and explained the issue and they said, "It will be covered under your warranty" and assigned me a claim number after uploading all the pictures of the sofa. I was under the impression that the insurance will be covered. But when the technician arrived and looked at the sofa he didn’t speak to me anything and just took the pictures of the sofa and said, "We will come back in a week to do the repair."

After couple of days I received a email saying that my claim is not covered and they find any silly reason not be replace/fix your items. I want to give ZERO STAR, WORST EXPERIENCE I EVER GOT and I will recommend the same to my friends to not to SHOP AGAIN in VALUE CITY!!! My next step is to publish my review in social media and so that it will be helpful to others and “NOT TO SHOP IN VALUE CITY”!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Me and my boyfriend bought a 3 sectional couch and a dining table before Thanksgiving 2018 for our new place. They promised to deliver it in a few days. We received the furniture. However they mislead us on the deal we got, because in our receipt it says 3 sectional couch with a swivel, but they gave us 2 sectional couch with a swivel. We considered that it was a misunderstanding from the salesperson and they revise the invoice to add the price for the additional piece of sectional couch. They said they will deliver it by the following week together with our dining set. My bf had to take a day off that day to receive it. Without notice or even a call they canceled it, and pushed it back 2 weeks! Because they said they don't have that piece (ridiculous).

Now new date for delivery is 12/13. We thought it's okay as long as we will complete everything before Christmas party for our family, and today we received the dining table and we love it! But guess what, they still dont have that piece for our couch! And we already pay our 1st month bill, without having it completely, their words are all lies! Stay away, it's our 1st home and expecting our first baby, our excitement just went down the hill because of their service. It's not worth it dealing with all their lies. We are paying completely. I hope this company at least be fair with their buyers.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased the 5 year extended warranty from Value City on our couch. Frankly was given the impression it had expired after a year when they tried to solicit more money. After 3 years I was back purchasing an electric recliner for my mother (93 years old). Now I am hoping that won't look like other reviews on that item. The sales rep tried to sell this furniture insurance plan to me again and I hesitated, told her about my sectional that had had issues. She advised me warranty was still good just have to call direct.

When I called I was Put on hold to be assigned a claim number then pressed for a date when problem was noticed, didn't remember exactly so she said claim couldn't be submitted, so I grabbed an approximate date out of thin air. She put me on hold for about 20 minutes then came back to tell me it was past 50 days required to place claim in. Wasted at least an hour of time and insurance person purposely lead me down a path so they didn't have to honor contract. Waste of time and money - don't let them scam you into adding this to your purchase.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I wish I could give this company 0 stars. My fiancé and I bought a $2400 furniture set called the Big Softie on October 20, 2018. It was scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, October 31, 2018. The delivery drivers threatened to leave after 2 minutes of my fiancé not being here. When they arrived, they were throwing things on the floor and rushing around. One of the recliners (power) did not even come with a plug. The plug for the center console was shoved inside of it and could not be reached. The delivery drivers did not even hook it up. We had to call customer care and they sent a tech out the next day. He was very kind & hooked everything up correctly, but had to bring plugs with him because for whatever reason they were not provided.

At this point, we noticed how much that recliner did not look like the others. It was USED! It’s saggy and the stuffing is coming out of the sides. We call customer care again and they schedule a delivery for November 16th. The piece they brought on November 16th was WRONG. It was not power. Back to customer care we go, an associate was to “personally oversee” the delivery process. We agreed to have the piece delivered on Saturday, 12/1 so that we didn’t have to take off work (again). We never received a call for the delivery and spent 36 minutes on the phone with customer care. They did not have the delivery or the piece and now they can’t deliver it until 12/8. They only want to offer $100 off. This is the worst customer service we’ve ever experienced. They don’t care about their customers or having a good experience. I will never buy anything from here again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Sectional couch had to be repaired within 6 months. I wanted to send it back and Value City wouldn’t allow it to be returned. It has nails sticking out and the frame has been broken since the day it was brought into my house. Every time I called customer service they gave me the runaround. I talked to corporate and they told me to throw it in the garbage. I paid $3800.00 and they suggest I throw it away. I wouldn’t buy another piece of furniture from this company! I warned my sister in law not to buy from VC and she ended up with the same headaches and issues. So buyers beware.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased 2 Black leather reclining sofas. Over $3400, 1 sofa did not work upon installation. I was told the piece to fix it would be sent in 2 weeks. Not here. I left msgs for Justin; no return call.

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2018

One of the managers was great in providing an amicable resolution and I've got my ottoman delivered as well. Thanks Holly! That's how you put your customers coming back.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

It's hard to find the words to describe my displeasure with the Cheektowaga VCF location. I picked a sectional and asked the sales rep (Judy) that I was working with if the sectional and ottoman I was looking to buy would be available in the near future. She checked her tablet and let me know that both pieces are available for delivery on the upcoming Tuesday. I signed up for their credit card to pay for my purchases and asked her to confirm delivery before she submitted my request, she stated everything will be delivered on Tuesday as discussed.

Judy then processed the payment and once it went through stated Tuesday isn't available but the following Thursday is - ok no big deal. She then stated that the couch will be delivered on Thursday but the ottoman isn't going to be available until December. I'm sorry, WHAT? You couldn't tell me this information when I asked you about it twice before submitting the purchase? She went on to state that I would not incur an extra delivery fee for the separate delivery. If that is Value City's way of rectifying the situation then you need to train your reps better. It seems as if they would do anything to make a sale happen regardless of customer aggravation. Thanks for helping me make up my mind of staying away from this company for any future purchases.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Overall I’m so highly disappointed in my overall experience ever with a store. I purchased a couch from them less than a year ago. It started with delivery. I paid in full at the store and the delivery didn’t happen for OVER A MONTH. They couldn’t redirect the routes to help in assisting with my work schedule. So they kept cancelling and rescheduling on me. It happened at least three times. Next going to the store talking with a representative in customer service was below average but still It accomplished putting in a request to evaluate my couch under its warranty.

So lastly just this week, I called customer service again to reschedule an appt but we needed to have a shorter time frame because each day I do have work and school. She tells me they can’t do that. You can only schedule a day. This means on the day of the appt they can come anytime from start of business to close. A timeframe of 8am-5pm. How is that going to work for ANYONE? I live alone so it’s only myself so I can’t waste away a day waiting around for them to come look at It. The couch needs an evaluation because less than a year it’s already so indented you can visually see the dip in and It makes It so uncomfortable. No couch should have this drastic of an indentation from normal use. I’m so pissed and disappointed. I would NEVER recommend this store to anyone. If I couldn’t give it any stars at all I would.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst furniture/customer service ever received. Bought a kitchen table and it cracked within the first 60 days. Didn't add insurance b/c we only use the table for meals. Their delivery team didn't even bring the proper tools to install the table. My husband had to do it once he got home from work. And they were questioning me on how much I paid & if I felt like I got a good deal. Also bought a sectional with the extended warranty. COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY! When originally delivered, a piece of furniture was defective. They find any excuse to try & get out of honoring the warranty. Plus, you have to contact them several times to get them to simply do as they advertise. When they finally sent someone out, their tech was very rude & disrespectful. With all the misinformation, quality of their products, disrespectful employees DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY WITH VALUE CITY FURNITURE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a living room set 11 months ago. The stitching is coming out of the cushions already. The chat on the website is a joke. I asked them what I should do and they said, "Call your store," then disconnected the session. They could've at least given me the number. They said they come to my town on Tuesdays but can get here for 2 weeks. They better make this right. If I have to have someone else fix it I will be in court with them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My experience with Value City Furniture has been horrible. They canceled my first delivery date on the day it was due to be delivered. When they delivered my furniture, I was missing 2 pieces and had to actually fight with them to prove one piece was missing. On my THIRD delivery date, they delivered a coffee table with a HUGE CRACK covered with magic marker. Still waiting for them to replace the table, the replacement is scheduled a month out. I am missing work for these deliveries so I'm losing money. Every time I call them, I am placed on hold for 30 minutes at a time. Worst customer service ever, once you give them money, they don't care about what they deliver or how they treat the customer. Seriously, they sent me a table with a 5-inch crack covered with brown marker. NICE.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have to say I am extremely frustrated with, and will never buy, anything from Value City Furniture again. Back in 2012 we bought a living room set. We paid extra for the extended warranty and were advised if we didn't file a claim against it, at the end of the warranty period, we could use the value paid towards another purchase. Fast forward to 2018... We went in today to buy new end tables. When we inquired how to use the value of the extended warranty we were told that the extended warranty issued back in 2012 no longer exists. It had been replaced by another program. Very deceitful. I will never buy from them again!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a microfiber sofa sectional from the (Non)Value City on Route 40 in Baltimore Maryland. After being persuaded into purchasing the $350 Warranty, I figured I was covered. It should've been a Red Flag when my furniture was over 2 weeks Late from some "-problem in the warehouse..." - whatever that meant. So everything was ok for about 6 months. Afterwards I witness some seams coming loose on the sectional. Then one of the sofa legs comes completely OFF - from my initial inspection, it was cause by a 'rotten frame'. I immediately called the store location, and was referred to the warranty company. I called the warranty company who after 2 weeks sent a technician out for an inspection. The tech was late but eventually showed up. Took a 5 minute inspection and on his way out told me someone would reach out. The 'reach out' was a DENIAL OF WARRANTY.

They claimed the rotten frame was my fault, wth?!! I put in an Appeal - DENIED also. But this time the DENIAL took almost an Additional MONTH to get sent out. SO now I'm out a $2000 sectional with the Rotten Frame. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM NON-Value City ANYWHERE IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES - it's like Throwing Money on a Campfire.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I pay for insurance with everything that I buy from here and I regret it because the insurance company that they offer is a scam. They find any reason not to replace your items. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT PURE PROMISE and Value City has definitely lost my business because they chose scam artists to take customers' hard earned money only to tell them anything not to fix or replace items. I ONLY GAVE ONE STAR TO BE ABLE TO LEAVE A REVIEW!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We purchased a love seat and sofa from VCF. When it was delivered to us we were rushed to sign the form and were not given a chance to see if anything was wrong with it. Right away we noticed the backside of the sofa was not even intact and staples were falling off like crazy. We called in right away to try and switch it for something else but they gave us hell about it. They claimed that once you sign the form that's it no more returns. They would keep putting us on hold and transfer us from one person to another.

It took us a whole week to finally reach the store manager and settle it. We finally switched it for a sectional. But even when the sectional was delivered we were rushed yet again to sign the paper and the guys that delivered were rude AF. The following day I was trying to move it to clean under it and the screw that connected the two pieces together suddenly fell off. That was fixable but you can tell the delivery guy rushed so the job was half assed. So in case you're thinking about stepping foot inside that store, save yourself the headache and take your business elsewhere! Poor service, poor quality, I'm surprised their stores are still running.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I would not recommend. After waiting 2 weeks for my furniture to arrive they no show. I call, and am told that the furniture is running late. I have meetings this afternoon, and need to return to work. I do not have time to greet the truck. To further compound this issue apparently they sent me a footboard instead of the nightstand that I ordered, and have been waiting two weeks for. The refund will take 5 biz days to process. Meanwhile: I don't have furniture. To say that I'm angry right now would be an understatement. I needed that furniture. How is this company still in business?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a Beautyrest Recharge mattress and a queen bedroom set from Value City Furniture (VCF) 2 1/3 years ago. The mattress is sinking in one-section and the dresser drawers will not stay closed without a sock closed in it to keep them closed. I contacted VCF about the above products and during my initial contact, I got bad warranty information, then I called back and got a BOLD-FACE LIES when my receipt said something else and the icing on the cake (Customer Service Rep. said we brought those mattresses from Simmons and they cannot tell us what to do with our mattresses), mind you they have Simmons Warranty attached to the bed; however, they are not adhering to Simmons Warranty. I told the Customer Service Rep and Jason from the Burbank Illinois location that I have parted ways with VCF. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL GRAVELY REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a $3,700 brown leather reclining sectional with a lifetime warranty due to the motorized reclining features and the salesman basically told my husband that if anything happens and it can't be fixed, they would replace the sofa. Less than 7 months later we began to notice the "leather" puckering and peeling in strange areas as if it were melted, I called the warranty company and was told that unless it had been cut or burnt they could not service it, meaning that if we messed it up they'll fix it but if it's due to a defect or just cheap material, they won't fix it.

I ended up buying patch tape kits for the areas I have to repair that has now become an everyday occurrence. Now the end of the sectional that is a chaise has caved in as if a spring has come loose so now there's a dent in my once nice comfortable expensive sectional. I have a black leather Ashley sectional purchased from Aaron's Furniture that is now 17 years old, gone through 5 moves, 4 teenagers and 7 grandkids and the only tear I have is in the back where it got caught on a doorframe when moved to our basement, other than that it's in great shape. I will never buy "leather" furniture from Value City again!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We bought all our furniture from Value City Furniture store 5 years ago. We did not take the protection plan because we thought we may not need it as we are gonna take good care of them. But what do we know of the quality the mattress, Serta memory foam king mattress, started to sink within an year and sectional sofa springs got damaged and two years the bonded leather started to peel off. Now it’s been five years. We are in need of furniture again. Thought the quality will be good. We don’t need protection plan and all. We spent 3000 bucks and everything gone waste. All our friends bought furniture from them thinking that we might have gone for best and lucky that they took protection plan. Unlike others complaint here about protection plan, our friends had their sofa and mattress replaced by Value City Furniture for the very same defects.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a sectional and bunk bed less than 2 years. The sectional leather is peeling and the top bunk bed the railing that holds the bed together is hanging down. I was told by VCF if I didn't have extended warranty they wouldn't fix, even if I agreed to pay to get fix. Cheap furniture!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The sofa I purchased was supposed to be leather but after only six months the fabric is starting to peel off. I paid $2300 for this sofa and it has to be thrown out. Please don’t go to this store for anything. They are just taking your money.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Michael Broidy (VP), Jay Schottenstein (CEO), and Jonathan Schottenstein (President), Value City Furniture and American Signature Furniture mission statement is weak. Value City states that, "We believe everyone has the right to a well-furnished life." The only thing you care about is furnishing your pockets with money. Feeding your bank accounts at the expense of hardworking people who are mistreated by uneducated, and poorly trained staff. Customers bring this family-owned businesses Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) and American Eagle Outfitters, Schottenstein corporation a lot of business.

Where is the great honor you say you have help families furnish their homes??? My current situation and ongoing memories with you are a horror. No one should go through countless problems ranging from broken furniture delivered from your warehouse to customers home, late arrivals to delivery, delivery men breaking and damaging furniture just to assemble. So, tell me what "memories are born"?

Your Value City commitment is only to yourselves. Since you are working on a so called reinventing yourselves by focusing on a "new, eclectic mix of products and a commitment to helping customers express themselves" how about you take all of that energy a pour it into training your staff so that the mission you have for your customers will be positive and pleasant.

Your customer service representative should be called receptionist. They do not possess the skills to assist or help customers. Representative lie, make excuses for why leadership is not available to answer phone calls constantly making excuses no one should be telling a customer to take in consideration their lunch break. My family has been more than inconvenienced by Value City Corporate. The resolution team is not trained to handle problems. They would rather hang up on you then deal with the problem. It's not my problem you have to eat lunch. There should be plenty of people to handle the call center.

What could we have done not to experience this monstrosity of a mayhem is not buy anything from your store period. We could have went to the distributor. Cut you out the middle. Your company sucks and should not be allowed to service in any country. Consumers should have to beg your company for respect after spending hard earned money at your store.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I just had a good experience. I bought a lot of stuff from Value City. I’ve had a back problem for a long time so I bought a real good mattress at the time. I paid $900 for it so I talk to the manager when I had a problem with that. They exchanged it and gave me a promotion if I paid $300 more so now I have $1100 into a mattress and after eight years at SAG than me so I had a 10 year warranty. So they came to my place, inspected it and says that it meets the qualifications of exchanging that this was the office and Henrietta so then the manager from the Rochester area on Ridge Road calls me and tells me they’re only going to allow me the $1100. I paid $1100 plus the promotion that the manager gave me.

The manager tells me there, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told the manager, “You gotta warranty the mattress I have.” He tells me, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told him, “You may not do that now but at the time I bought the mattress that was the promotion I got.” So the ** tells me, “Will give your money back on credit for the mattress you bought.” I said, “OK that’s how you do business. Give me my money back and I’ll go someplace else.” “Oh no. Will give you your credit in the store. Otherwise you don’t get nothing.” So I figure I better go in there and get the mattress otherwise I’d lose my $1100. Should know I go in there cost me $1400 more for the same mattress that I had that went bad now. He tells me the mattress is $2700.

He says, “You got to pay more money for the box springs now" for the same mattress that I bought there and paid more money for you get the box springs for the same mattress for Nas than when you buy the mattress at Ashley‘s. I will do all my shopping at Ashley‘s. They are honest and fair. Not a bunch of crooks like Value City. They’ll make you the price and say it’s warranty for 10 years but they don’t tell you they’re going to give you less than what you had. The manager there is a crock, a liar and a thief. Watch when you shop there. Beware. They're crooks. So now I have a new mattress over $2500 that’s the last of the money that I’m crooks will ever see from me. The best part is I bought a lot of stuff there and spent a lot of money and trusted them. So let everybody know what liars they are and Crook.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased my sectional sofa from Value City Furniture in Jan. 2017. By the time I paid it off in full (six months after the purchase date) it was already falling apart. The fabric is coming off in strips as if the material wasn't reinforced a bit. It is happening in all areas of the couch but, predominately on my Chase and Cuddler. My cushions also began to sag almost immediately.

I wasn't expecting a couch that was perfect as the price ($1,500) usually reflects the quality. But, this was literally like throwing my money out the window. I would have preferred to buy something used then to have spent that much money on something that looks like it's been used for years by someone with pets and kids. I'm truly disappointed and will NEVER give this company another dime of my money. It is such a waste! I recommend you go elsewhere and do your research on what you're getting. I SO wish I had researched reviews for the quality of their furniture. The majority of them are disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I went to The Value City Furniture at 6067 E Main St, Columbus, OH 43213. I was waited on by a professional and patient man named Mr. **. He was calm (when I wasn't), kind and understanding. Later the next week I received several calls regarding verification of purchase, address and delivery date and window. Everyone that I spoke with was pleasant and accurate. Then today (on time and fighting the rain) two very pleasant young men came to deliver and assemble my bedroom suite. They were professional, quiet, and quick. This whole experience from start to finish could not have gone any better in my eyes. You all are doing a wonderful job and are a true example of Excellent customer service and going above and beyond. I will be a customer for life. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have ordered on 7/20 and got to know that my furniture will arrive on 7/25 which was arrived however a few parts were missing and had some cosmetic issues. Since then technicians and delivery guys came 4 times to my home but cosmetic issues are still there. Also slates supports are still missing from the storage bed so we can use it until it fixed. When I called VCF customer care they asked me to call again after one or two days as they were not able to see details in their system. When I called again and explained my issues, my call forwarded to someone else then I have explained again then again forwarded to someone else and she putted me on hold for 15 min and finally talked to me and gave me one more date for fixing issues and getting my full order delivered. So it would be almost a month and my issues will still be there as it is and yes I have paid for shipping.

Value City Furniture Company Information