Value City Furniture
1.24/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

282 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased 2 Black leather reclining sofas. Over $3400, 1 sofa did not work upon installation. I was told the piece to fix it would be sent in 2 weeks. Not here. I left msgs for Justin; no return call.

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2018

One of the managers was great in providing an amicable resolution and I've got my ottoman delivered as well. Thanks Holly! That's how you put your customers coming back.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

It's hard to find the words to describe my displeasure with the Cheektowaga VCF location. I picked a sectional and asked the sales rep (Judy) that I was working with if the sectional and ottoman I was looking to buy would be available in the near future. She checked her tablet and let me know that both pieces are available for delivery on the upcoming Tuesday. I signed up for their credit card to pay for my purchases and asked her to confirm delivery before she submitted my request, she stated everything will be delivered on Tuesday as discussed.

Judy then processed the payment and once it went through stated Tuesday isn't available but the following Thursday is - ok no big deal. She then stated that the couch will be delivered on Thursday but the ottoman isn't going to be available until December. I'm sorry, WHAT? You couldn't tell me this information when I asked you about it twice before submitting the purchase? She went on to state that I would not incur an extra delivery fee for the separate delivery. If that is Value City's way of rectifying the situation then you need to train your reps better. It seems as if they would do anything to make a sale happen regardless of customer aggravation. Thanks for helping me make up my mind of staying away from this company for any future purchases.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Overall I’m so highly disappointed in my overall experience ever with a store. I purchased a couch from them less than a year ago. It started with delivery. I paid in full at the store and the delivery didn’t happen for OVER A MONTH. They couldn’t redirect the routes to help in assisting with my work schedule. So they kept cancelling and rescheduling on me. It happened at least three times. Next going to the store talking with a representative in customer service was below average but still It accomplished putting in a request to evaluate my couch under its warranty.

So lastly just this week, I called customer service again to reschedule an appt but we needed to have a shorter time frame because each day I do have work and school. She tells me they can’t do that. You can only schedule a day. This means on the day of the appt they can come anytime from start of business to close. A timeframe of 8am-5pm. How is that going to work for ANYONE? I live alone so it’s only myself so I can’t waste away a day waiting around for them to come look at It. The couch needs an evaluation because less than a year it’s already so indented you can visually see the dip in and It makes It so uncomfortable. No couch should have this drastic of an indentation from normal use. I’m so pissed and disappointed. I would NEVER recommend this store to anyone. If I couldn’t give it any stars at all I would.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst furniture/customer service ever received. Bought a kitchen table and it cracked within the first 60 days. Didn't add insurance b/c we only use the table for meals. Their delivery team didn't even bring the proper tools to install the table. My husband had to do it once he got home from work. And they were questioning me on how much I paid & if I felt like I got a good deal. Also bought a sectional with the extended warranty. COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY! When originally delivered, a piece of furniture was defective. They find any excuse to try & get out of honoring the warranty. Plus, you have to contact them several times to get them to simply do as they advertise. When they finally sent someone out, their tech was very rude & disrespectful. With all the misinformation, quality of their products, disrespectful employees DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY WITH VALUE CITY FURNITURE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a living room set 11 months ago. The stitching is coming out of the cushions already. The chat on the website is a joke. I asked them what I should do and they said, "Call your store," then disconnected the session. They could've at least given me the number. They said they come to my town on Tuesdays but can get here for 2 weeks. They better make this right. If I have to have someone else fix it I will be in court with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My experience with Value City Furniture has been horrible. They canceled my first delivery date on the day it was due to be delivered. When they delivered my furniture, I was missing 2 pieces and had to actually fight with them to prove one piece was missing. On my THIRD delivery date, they delivered a coffee table with a HUGE CRACK covered with magic marker. Still waiting for them to replace the table, the replacement is scheduled a month out. I am missing work for these deliveries so I'm losing money. Every time I call them, I am placed on hold for 30 minutes at a time. Worst customer service ever, once you give them money, they don't care about what they deliver or how they treat the customer. Seriously, they sent me a table with a 5-inch crack covered with brown marker. NICE.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have to say I am extremely frustrated with, and will never buy, anything from Value City Furniture again. Back in 2012 we bought a living room set. We paid extra for the extended warranty and were advised if we didn't file a claim against it, at the end of the warranty period, we could use the value paid towards another purchase. Fast forward to 2018... We went in today to buy new end tables. When we inquired how to use the value of the extended warranty we were told that the extended warranty issued back in 2012 no longer exists. It had been replaced by another program. Very deceitful. I will never buy from them again!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a microfiber sofa sectional from the (Non)Value City on Route 40 in Baltimore Maryland. After being persuaded into purchasing the $350 Warranty, I figured I was covered. It should've been a Red Flag when my furniture was over 2 weeks Late from some "-problem in the warehouse..." - whatever that meant. So everything was ok for about 6 months. Afterwards I witness some seams coming loose on the sectional. Then one of the sofa legs comes completely OFF - from my initial inspection, it was cause by a 'rotten frame'. I immediately called the store location, and was referred to the warranty company. I called the warranty company who after 2 weeks sent a technician out for an inspection. The tech was late but eventually showed up. Took a 5 minute inspection and on his way out told me someone would reach out. The 'reach out' was a DENIAL OF WARRANTY.

They claimed the rotten frame was my fault, wth?!! I put in an Appeal - DENIED also. But this time the DENIAL took almost an Additional MONTH to get sent out. SO now I'm out a $2000 sectional with the Rotten Frame. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM NON-Value City ANYWHERE IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES - it's like Throwing Money on a Campfire.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I pay for insurance with everything that I buy from here and I regret it because the insurance company that they offer is a scam. They find any reason not to replace your items. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT PURE PROMISE and Value City has definitely lost my business because they chose scam artists to take customers' hard earned money only to tell them anything not to fix or replace items. I ONLY GAVE ONE STAR TO BE ABLE TO LEAVE A REVIEW!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We purchased a love seat and sofa from VCF. When it was delivered to us we were rushed to sign the form and were not given a chance to see if anything was wrong with it. Right away we noticed the backside of the sofa was not even intact and staples were falling off like crazy. We called in right away to try and switch it for something else but they gave us hell about it. They claimed that once you sign the form that's it no more returns. They would keep putting us on hold and transfer us from one person to another.

It took us a whole week to finally reach the store manager and settle it. We finally switched it for a sectional. But even when the sectional was delivered we were rushed yet again to sign the paper and the guys that delivered were rude AF. The following day I was trying to move it to clean under it and the screw that connected the two pieces together suddenly fell off. That was fixable but you can tell the delivery guy rushed so the job was half assed. So in case you're thinking about stepping foot inside that store, save yourself the headache and take your business elsewhere! Poor service, poor quality, I'm surprised their stores are still running.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I would not recommend. After waiting 2 weeks for my furniture to arrive they no show. I call, and am told that the furniture is running late. I have meetings this afternoon, and need to return to work. I do not have time to greet the truck. To further compound this issue apparently they sent me a footboard instead of the nightstand that I ordered, and have been waiting two weeks for. The refund will take 5 biz days to process. Meanwhile: I don't have furniture. To say that I'm angry right now would be an understatement. I needed that furniture. How is this company still in business?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a Beautyrest Recharge mattress and a queen bedroom set from Value City Furniture (VCF) 2 1/3 years ago. The mattress is sinking in one-section and the dresser drawers will not stay closed without a sock closed in it to keep them closed. I contacted VCF about the above products and during my initial contact, I got bad warranty information, then I called back and got a BOLD-FACE LIES when my receipt said something else and the icing on the cake (Customer Service Rep. said we brought those mattresses from Simmons and they cannot tell us what to do with our mattresses), mind you they have Simmons Warranty attached to the bed; however, they are not adhering to Simmons Warranty. I told the Customer Service Rep and Jason from the Burbank Illinois location that I have parted ways with VCF. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL GRAVELY REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a $3,700 brown leather reclining sectional with a lifetime warranty due to the motorized reclining features and the salesman basically told my husband that if anything happens and it can't be fixed, they would replace the sofa. Less than 7 months later we began to notice the "leather" puckering and peeling in strange areas as if it were melted, I called the warranty company and was told that unless it had been cut or burnt they could not service it, meaning that if we messed it up they'll fix it but if it's due to a defect or just cheap material, they won't fix it.

I ended up buying patch tape kits for the areas I have to repair that has now become an everyday occurrence. Now the end of the sectional that is a chaise has caved in as if a spring has come loose so now there's a dent in my once nice comfortable expensive sectional. I have a black leather Ashley sectional purchased from Aaron's Furniture that is now 17 years old, gone through 5 moves, 4 teenagers and 7 grandkids and the only tear I have is in the back where it got caught on a doorframe when moved to our basement, other than that it's in great shape. I will never buy "leather" furniture from Value City again!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We bought all our furniture from Value City Furniture store 5 years ago. We did not take the protection plan because we thought we may not need it as we are gonna take good care of them. But what do we know of the quality the mattress, Serta memory foam king mattress, started to sink within an year and sectional sofa springs got damaged and two years the bonded leather started to peel off. Now it’s been five years. We are in need of furniture again. Thought the quality will be good. We don’t need protection plan and all. We spent 3000 bucks and everything gone waste. All our friends bought furniture from them thinking that we might have gone for best and lucky that they took protection plan. Unlike others complaint here about protection plan, our friends had their sofa and mattress replaced by Value City Furniture for the very same defects.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a sectional and bunk bed less than 2 years. The sectional leather is peeling and the top bunk bed the railing that holds the bed together is hanging down. I was told by VCF if I didn't have extended warranty they wouldn't fix, even if I agreed to pay to get fix. Cheap furniture!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The sofa I purchased was supposed to be leather but after only six months the fabric is starting to peel off. I paid $2300 for this sofa and it has to be thrown out. Please don’t go to this store for anything. They are just taking your money.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Michael Broidy (VP), Jay Schottenstein (CEO), and Jonathan Schottenstein (President), Value City Furniture and American Signature Furniture mission statement is weak. Value City states that, "We believe everyone has the right to a well-furnished life." The only thing you care about is furnishing your pockets with money. Feeding your bank accounts at the expense of hardworking people who are mistreated by uneducated, and poorly trained staff. Customers bring this family-owned businesses Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) and American Eagle Outfitters, Schottenstein corporation a lot of business.

Where is the great honor you say you have help families furnish their homes??? My current situation and ongoing memories with you are a horror. No one should go through countless problems ranging from broken furniture delivered from your warehouse to customers home, late arrivals to delivery, delivery men breaking and damaging furniture just to assemble. So, tell me what "memories are born"?

Your Value City commitment is only to yourselves. Since you are working on a so called reinventing yourselves by focusing on a "new, eclectic mix of products and a commitment to helping customers express themselves" how about you take all of that energy a pour it into training your staff so that the mission you have for your customers will be positive and pleasant.

Your customer service representative should be called receptionist. They do not possess the skills to assist or help customers. Representative lie, make excuses for why leadership is not available to answer phone calls constantly making excuses no one should be telling a customer to take in consideration their lunch break. My family has been more than inconvenienced by Value City Corporate. The resolution team is not trained to handle problems. They would rather hang up on you then deal with the problem. It's not my problem you have to eat lunch. There should be plenty of people to handle the call center.

What could we have done not to experience this monstrosity of a mayhem is not buy anything from your store period. We could have went to the distributor. Cut you out the middle. Your company sucks and should not be allowed to service in any country. Consumers should have to beg your company for respect after spending hard earned money at your store.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I just had a good experience. I bought a lot of stuff from Value City. I’ve had a back problem for a long time so I bought a real good mattress at the time. I paid $900 for it so I talk to the manager when I had a problem with that. They exchanged it and gave me a promotion if I paid $300 more so now I have $1100 into a mattress and after eight years at SAG than me so I had a 10 year warranty. So they came to my place, inspected it and says that it meets the qualifications of exchanging that this was the office and Henrietta so then the manager from the Rochester area on Ridge Road calls me and tells me they’re only going to allow me the $1100. I paid $1100 plus the promotion that the manager gave me.

The manager tells me there, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told the manager, “You gotta warranty the mattress I have.” He tells me, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told him, “You may not do that now but at the time I bought the mattress that was the promotion I got.” So the ** tells me, “Will give your money back on credit for the mattress you bought.” I said, “OK that’s how you do business. Give me my money back and I’ll go someplace else.” “Oh no. Will give you your credit in the store. Otherwise you don’t get nothing.” So I figure I better go in there and get the mattress otherwise I’d lose my $1100. Should know I go in there cost me $1400 more for the same mattress that I had that went bad now. He tells me the mattress is $2700.

He says, “You got to pay more money for the box springs now" for the same mattress that I bought there and paid more money for you get the box springs for the same mattress for Nas than when you buy the mattress at Ashley‘s. I will do all my shopping at Ashley‘s. They are honest and fair. Not a bunch of crooks like Value City. They’ll make you the price and say it’s warranty for 10 years but they don’t tell you they’re going to give you less than what you had. The manager there is a crock, a liar and a thief. Watch when you shop there. Beware. They're crooks. So now I have a new mattress over $2500 that’s the last of the money that I’m crooks will ever see from me. The best part is I bought a lot of stuff there and spent a lot of money and trusted them. So let everybody know what liars they are and Crook.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased my sectional sofa from Value City Furniture in Jan. 2017. By the time I paid it off in full (six months after the purchase date) it was already falling apart. The fabric is coming off in strips as if the material wasn't reinforced a bit. It is happening in all areas of the couch but, predominately on my Chase and Cuddler. My cushions also began to sag almost immediately.

I wasn't expecting a couch that was perfect as the price ($1,500) usually reflects the quality. But, this was literally like throwing my money out the window. I would have preferred to buy something used then to have spent that much money on something that looks like it's been used for years by someone with pets and kids. I'm truly disappointed and will NEVER give this company another dime of my money. It is such a waste! I recommend you go elsewhere and do your research on what you're getting. I SO wish I had researched reviews for the quality of their furniture. The majority of them are disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I went to The Value City Furniture at 6067 E Main St, Columbus, OH 43213. I was waited on by a professional and patient man named Mr. **. He was calm (when I wasn't), kind and understanding. Later the next week I received several calls regarding verification of purchase, address and delivery date and window. Everyone that I spoke with was pleasant and accurate. Then today (on time and fighting the rain) two very pleasant young men came to deliver and assemble my bedroom suite. They were professional, quiet, and quick. This whole experience from start to finish could not have gone any better in my eyes. You all are doing a wonderful job and are a true example of Excellent customer service and going above and beyond. I will be a customer for life. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have ordered on 7/20 and got to know that my furniture will arrive on 7/25 which was arrived however a few parts were missing and had some cosmetic issues. Since then technicians and delivery guys came 4 times to my home but cosmetic issues are still there. Also slates supports are still missing from the storage bed so we can use it until it fixed. When I called VCF customer care they asked me to call again after one or two days as they were not able to see details in their system. When I called again and explained my issues, my call forwarded to someone else then I have explained again then again forwarded to someone else and she putted me on hold for 15 min and finally talked to me and gave me one more date for fixing issues and getting my full order delivered. So it would be almost a month and my issues will still be there as it is and yes I have paid for shipping.

Original review: July 26, 2018

With 3 small children we were concerned about safety and stain resistance when buying furniture. So we spent hours with the sales team and of course purchased the warranty... Getting right to the point. Coffee table was unsafe and legal action pending. Sofa was stained... Bottom line. If they do not want to honor their warranty they give you your money back for the warranty! It's a total scam. I spoke to Sylvester in Dayton NJ. He has no boss. He has no authority. He reads from a script... Has no idea who his boss is. At least Value City should invest in legal services or a decent customer service department?

Original review: July 24, 2018

I bought a sofa from Value City about four years ago. It was a vinyl couch and it is falling apart. Not only is the vinyl cracking and peeling off, but frame is sagging. I live alone so things last very long in my home, this is the exception. I went to the store and complained, they did nothing about it. Save your money and go to a store that sells better quality furniture.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought my bedroom suite from Value City a year ago. A month after getting the set a ring was left from a body oil set. I filed a claim through the $300 warranty company Pure Promise and waited & waited for a response. Went to the page and seen my claim was closed & denied the claim because it was attached to another damage that was not find in 15 days of the incident... No Email sent, No Phone call made. They just expect for you to check their site daily for a response.

When I called to see why this wasn't covered when I paid for furniture insurance they said, "It's a store manufacturing issue" and to call Value City and when I did VCF passed the blame to Pure Promise but All & All the ring was never fixed! I spent $1300 dollars on a bedroom suite plus extra $300 to cover for damage protection and they only scammed me out of my money because nothing is ever fixed! 2 days ago I left my workout weights on the dresser to woke up the next morning to work out and in print of the weights were left in the dresser where the paint came off. Filed a claim the next day. Just looked and they denied the claim. Just HORRIBLE experience altogether. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM Value City and expect them to stand behind their product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Value City Furniture in Amherst NY: I purchased a captain's bed with 3 drawers and a trundle. The bed itself is wonderful, but Value City's customer service is horrible. One of the drawers was busted, and in a way I could not repair. By way of online chat, I was told I'd have to completely dismantle the bed, bring it back to the store (I hired someone to pick it up for me--more money to return it), get a replacement bed, and have to put the whole thing back together again. I've contacted them again, and just got ignored.

Horrible customer service for ignoring the customer, and for apparently having a return policy that incurs the maximum amount of inconvenience to the customer. What should have been done from day one is that I should have brought the broken drawer back the store and been provided with a replacement drawer. I won't be shopping with this franchise again. It's always more expensive to lose a customer.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I purchased the round Charleston Dining table at Value City Furniture in Aurora IL on June 21, 2018, and set up delivery. It was delivered on June 26th and the base was damaged. Customer service said they would deliver another table and 10 days later they did. That table had 15 holes in the table top. Customer service ask me to try one more time and they promised to have the table inspected before it went on the delivery truck. Today June 5th they delivered another table with the same holes. I think it was the exact one they delivered before. This time the delivery driver actually tried to assure me that those holes were part of the design from the manufacturer, So I ask him why didn't they have this table in the showroom because the one I bought in the showroom did not have holes in the top of the table!!! UNBELIEVABLE. I will not shop at Value City again.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I came in looking for a living room suite and was helped by Carla. She really knew her stuff. I felt very comfortable and was very pleased with the help I received. I highly recommend shopping at Value City and I highly recommend asking for Carla.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Bought a sectional along with a 7 year protection warranty. Went to make a claim about the leather pulling away from the top of pillows and back of couch and sides but the warranty center said it wasn't covered. Well I was tossed back and forth and the warranty company said it only covers areas where the body doesn't touch. There's pulling on the back and sides but now the warranty company says it doesn't cover cracked or pulling leather or vinyl. WHAT. A. RIP. OFF!!! The warranty booklet given pretty much says it covers everything. I’m going to look into a small claims suit. This is such a rip off!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a new sectional and everything was great at first. Then the showroom I purchased from closed and now the closest showroom to me is 2 hours away. Anyways, I called because my cushions were sagging really bad after about 3 months. I inquired about it with customer service, and they couldn't even pull up my account for 20 minutes!!! Not exaggerating. Then they told me they would replace my cushion cores. One time courtesy... that was in January 2018. It's now the end of June and I haven't heard anything from them. I contacted multiple times and they kept telling me they would contact the vendor to get an ETA... no response after that... ever. I work for a furniture company, and I could NEVER imagine not responding to a customer or keeping them updated as to what's going on with their orders. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HERE!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is the absolutely worst furniture store I have ever shopped at as well as the crap warranty they sell to you at the time you purchase your furniture with them. The warranty company does everything they can to not honor the warranty and when you call Value City Furniture they tell you that the warranty company is a third party vendor even though they are the ones who sold you the warranty. Value City Furniture is certainly making money off this warranty as well or they would not be selling a product for another company. I have filed complaints with the BBB, Attorney Generals Office as well as the Office of Consumer Affairs. I think anyone who has been ripped off regarding this warranty should do the same thing so maybe people can stopped being ripped off.

Value City Furniture Company Information