Value City Furniture
1.13/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

259 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought my bedroom suite from Value City a year ago. A month after getting the set a ring was left from a body oil set. I filed a claim through the $300 warranty company Pure Promise and waited & waited for a response. Went to the page and seen my claim was closed & denied the claim because it was attached to another damage that was not find in 15 days of the incident... No Email sent, No Phone call made. They just expect for you to check their site daily for a response.

When I called to see why this wasn't covered when I paid for furniture insurance they said, "It's a store manufacturing issue" and to call Value City and when I did VCF passed the blame to Pure Promise but All & All the ring was never fixed! I spent $1300 dollars on a bedroom suite plus extra $300 to cover for damage protection and they only scammed me out of my money because nothing is ever fixed! 2 days ago I left my workout weights on the dresser to woke up the next morning to work out and in print of the weights were left in the dresser where the paint came off. Filed a claim the next day. Just looked and they denied the claim. Just HORRIBLE experience altogether. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM Value City and expect them to stand behind their product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Value City Furniture in Amherst NY: I purchased a captain's bed with 3 drawers and a trundle. The bed itself is wonderful, but Value City's customer service is horrible. One of the drawers was busted, and in a way I could not repair. By way of online chat, I was told I'd have to completely dismantle the bed, bring it back to the store (I hired someone to pick it up for me--more money to return it), get a replacement bed, and have to put the whole thing back together again. I've contacted them again, and just got ignored.

Horrible customer service for ignoring the customer, and for apparently having a return policy that incurs the maximum amount of inconvenience to the customer. What should have been done from day one is that I should have brought the broken drawer back the store and been provided with a replacement drawer. I won't be shopping with this franchise again. It's always more expensive to lose a customer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 5, 2018

I purchased the round Charleston Dining table at Value City Furniture in Aurora IL on June 21, 2018, and set up delivery. It was delivered on June 26th and the base was damaged. Customer service said they would deliver another table and 10 days later they did. That table had 15 holes in the table top. Customer service ask me to try one more time and they promised to have the table inspected before it went on the delivery truck. Today June 5th they delivered another table with the same holes. I think it was the exact one they delivered before. This time the delivery driver actually tried to assure me that those holes were part of the design from the manufacturer, So I ask him why didn't they have this table in the showroom because the one I bought in the showroom did not have holes in the top of the table!!! UNBELIEVABLE. I will not shop at Value City again.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I came in looking for a living room suite and was helped by Carla. She really knew her stuff. I felt very comfortable and was very pleased with the help I received. I highly recommend shopping at Value City and I highly recommend asking for Carla.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Bought a sectional along with a 7 year protection warranty. Went to make a claim about the leather pulling away from the top of pillows and back of couch and sides but the warranty center said it wasn't covered. Well I was tossed back and forth and the warranty company said it only covers areas where the body doesn't touch. There's pulling on the back and sides but now the warranty company says it doesn't cover cracked or pulling leather or vinyl. WHAT. A. RIP. OFF!!! The warranty booklet given pretty much says it covers everything. I’m going to look into a small claims suit. This is such a rip off!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a new sectional and everything was great at first. Then the showroom I purchased from closed and now the closest showroom to me is 2 hours away. Anyways, I called because my cushions were sagging really bad after about 3 months. I inquired about it with customer service, and they couldn't even pull up my account for 20 minutes!!! Not exaggerating. Then they told me they would replace my cushion cores. One time courtesy... that was in January 2018. It's now the end of June and I haven't heard anything from them. I contacted multiple times and they kept telling me they would contact the vendor to get an ETA... no response after that... ever. I work for a furniture company, and I could NEVER imagine not responding to a customer or keeping them updated as to what's going on with their orders. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HERE!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is the absolutely worst furniture store I have ever shopped at as well as the crap warranty they sell to you at the time you purchase your furniture with them. The warranty company does everything they can to not honor the warranty and when you call Value City Furniture they tell you that the warranty company is a third party vendor even though they are the ones who sold you the warranty. Value City Furniture is certainly making money off this warranty as well or they would not be selling a product for another company. I have filed complaints with the BBB, Attorney Generals Office as well as the Office of Consumer Affairs. I think anyone who has been ripped off regarding this warranty should do the same thing so maybe people can stopped being ripped off.

Original review: June 15, 2018

In 2013, me and my wife looked at a leather sofa sectional at Value City Furniture for $ 1800 dollars. The sales person said it's real leather and I even brought the leather cleaner and conditioner care kit. Well after 2 years when the warranty is up, the leather on the couch started pilling and now after 4 years of pilling the couch looks a mess. I don't even want to invite nobody over because the couch has bare spots all over it, where the leather or so called leather has came off the cloth on the couch. Me and my wife usually buy our couch from Harlem Furniture and it last a long time, but we gave Value City a try because it was a lot cheaper price and we are regretting it now. Please everybody listen to this message, do not buy nothing from Value City Furniture. They sell cheaply made furniture and it do not last long, so in the long run, you will be wasting your money. Stay away from this Value City cheap store.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Store doesn't honor manufacturer warranty. Purchased extended 5 year warranty they will not honor that. 1 year into furniture seat are wearing and fading. Customer Service and Sale Managers will not return calls as stated. $7000.00 in furniture purchased. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I financed it through Acceptance Now so I paid double. It was considered a rental, and if a payment was missed Value City would repossessed the furniture and humiliate you. The delivery took pictures. I thought it was shabby business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased a reclining sectional in December 2014 along with the Pure Promise warranty. The pull handle that operates the recliner on the loveseat has broken FOUR times since then. It has been fixed three previous times and I informed Furniture Solutions (warranty company) that I need a permanent solution because the wire that holds the pull is thin and ineffective. Each time they just put a new handle on the same old wire. The last break was a few weeks ago. The warranty company sent a technician out and he did not have the correct part because he was sent the wrong picture of the part. They ask for pictures of the problem. He said he would order the part and they would call to schedule another appointment. They did not call and when I reached out to them, they said it would be eight to 12 weeks for the part. They stated that it would be shipped directly to me and then I need to call to schedule a technician. Not acceptable!

Furniture Solutions would not budge on escalating. I called Value City corporate office and explained that they need to stand behind their products and replace the love seat. They refused. I spoke to Manager Larry at the North Olmsted store where I purchased the sectional, explaining again that they need to stand behind their furniture. Larry, like corporate, claims his hands are tied. I do not want the same furniture. I told him I would take any love seat, one on clearance would be fine. He refused. I told him about a dining set with four chairs that I purchased prior to the sectional. All the screws in all the chair constantly fall out. The quality of their furniture is bad and as far as them standing by their furniture, non-existent. Sad. Will never purchase from them again. I foresee this love seat on the curb this December once the warranty expires.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We were looking for a living room set and found one we liked in the East Brunswick store. We negotiated a price with Nate, the store manager, and I thought all we had to do was pay and go. Nate said he'd be right back, and then 20 minutes later, came back and said he couldn't sell us the set for the price we already agreed on. This was a very poor shopping experience. We left and found the same living room set at Raymour and Flanningan, and got the price we wanted. Don't shop there!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Value City Furniture - Toms River, NJ: I honestly can't say enough bad things about the "quality" of this furniture. We've had a couch from them for about 5 years. The cushions lost anything resembling a cushion within the first year, they just became flat and uncomfortable. You basically sit on a sunken in and uncomfortable frame. All of the pillows around the couch have ripped apart at the seams and the stuffing if you could call it that is coming out. It will be your biggest regret in life to get furniture from this horrible place. You're better off buying Walmart furniture, because at least you're getting it at Walmart prices instead of the insane amount of money we spent on this. It's an embarrassment to have in our home and I can't wait to throw it out on the curb, where I assure you it will remain because no one wants anything that is this low quality, even if it's free.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This was my first and last time I will be shopping at VCF. I had purchased a bed and was told that it could be held until we moved into the new house. However when I went in to make my final payment on April 13th I was told the bed had been discontinued (with no notification of this about to happen). The staff suggested I could find something else for the same price but there was nothing else I wanted. At that point they were very helpful and found me one in another store out of state that could ship it. The staff member at that store told me it would ship out the next week at the latest.

Fast forward to last week: I call to check on its progress and was told that it hadn’t completely shipped yet. After several people making calls to the store to see what was going on I decided to cancel my order and shop elsewhere. Either the manager did not come in until later that day or we were told that they would call us back (they didn’t).

Original review: April 23, 2018

Have had to call Value City several times within months. 3 bad mattress. All 3 times with the same problem with sinking in the middle. This last time they left me a voice mail telling me they will be delivering me a new mattress in exchange for the very same mattress, I think not. In the past I was told to go into store and choose another of equal value, but VC you will not give me anything you want, that's not it. Also purchased sofa/loveseat recliners which are horrible. After getting them home, no support to them at all, when you recline you feel like you sinking in the hole, very cheap. They were brought to me defective but did not know, knew something was wrong, VC sent someone out to check the mattress/sofas out and he took pictures and wrote reports on both because he witnessed the defects.

I am so angry that VC has not called me to apologize and to go into store to pick something else in exchange. Frustrated. Time to contact CORPORATE now, VC will lose me as a Great Customer. Back to Stanley's I go where I know the is made of great quality from experience with them. The one star is for CJ, who helped me in the store. And Ty to Tracy ** who was sent out by VC, examining mattress/sofas, took pictures and was very professional.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve had the worst experience with Value City. I mean I only been dealing with them since March of 2018. I was told everything was going to come April 7 and it didn’t. The employees are rude and don’t even make things clear. I mean I didn’t get a option to choose from a box or split spring for my bed and the lady who sold me the items was so thirsty for a sell so she completed my order without asking.

My bed come and the box spring didn’t fit. I explained to the lady on the phone what happened and I had to pay more money. I mean they couldn’t work out anything for the mistake their worker caused. I mean they call and harass you about making your monthly payments on time, but is a horrible furniture company and their employees need to be retrained. The delivery driver got my number out of my files and texted my phone after. I have had it with them! Yes I’m making a complaint now Because I couldn’t find a place too and now I did. Come July when everything needs to be paid off, I’m paying it off and I’ll never deal with this place again!!!

Original review: April 21, 2018

Not up to par with Macy's, Bob's or similar stores... They have the worst customer service. They are quick to say I'm sorry about every issue but refuse to take ownership of any problem. I purchased a kitchen table in November. One of the legs had a major crack in it. After several attempts to get a tech out to review the issue (2 months later in January) one arrived. He informed me and my wife that he needed to order a replacement leg. He also mentioned that it may take up to sixty days to arrive. OK, in mid-March I called to get a status of the leg replacement and was informed that someone on the Value City side dropped the 'ball' and the replacement leg was not ordered.

I was assured they would rush the order and get the leg by late March. OK, late March arrived and I was told that the leg never arrived and they would have to put another leg on order. But this time a manager would follow this until completion. April came and no call from the manager or Value City. After I made numerous calls and finally reaching another manager I was told that they would take the leg from one of the full tables and install it on my table. Now it is late April (six months later) and I am still waiting on a replacement leg to a kitchen table that we cannot use in fear it will fall and hurt someone. Recommendation, if you can afford a few extra bucks more, stay away from ValueCity. The long time statement is true... 'You get what you pay for'...

Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought a bed in VCF. They bring it 2 weeks later and it was broken. They let the pieces in here. They scheduled to bring it for a second time and came broken again. They also let the broken pieces here again, so I went to the store to change for another bed. They charge me for the delivery again, and for the 5 years customer care again (so I end up with a cheaper bed for the same money I already paid). They scheduled the delivery for today but they never came and customer services says the delivery came and it was nobody in home (I was here, I didn't went to work to wait for them), so today I have my room full of pieces of a broken bed. I have charge for 2 deliveries. They didn't came. They says it's my fault, I lose one day of job, and the customer services says they can do nothing, even I have to call again tomorrow to reschedule because they can't do anything today.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I don't review somebody over the internet but I don't know what makes me writing a review here. Maybe I am just really upset. Back in 2015 I purchased $2800 in total furniture from Value City which includes $700 sectional sofa (reverse) too. After a year of minor use first broke from bottom, somehow balanced it and in next year it's started peeling off and now I feel like throwing it in a trash. Seriously not gonna buy from value city again. They are expensive for inexpensive/cheap stuff. :/

Original review: April 5, 2018

About 5 years ago, I needed to replace my bed. I went to Value City on Lafayette Road. I sat on the model and found it to be quite firm. Just what I was looking for. I paid for it and waited for delivery. When they delivered it by the time I noticed it was not the one I ordered it was too late to do much. The bed mattress was very flimsy. This seems to be an ongoing thing with place like Value City. I see there are thousands of complaints on this exact problem. Disgusting to be so fooled, especially when your doctors tells you to get a firm mattress.

Original review: April 5, 2018

$1100 couch that is worth nothing. I've had it for a year (with the Pure Promise 5 yr warranty). Cushions are completely sunken down--can't even sit on it because they sink down too far and kills your back, cushions are PEELING. Nothing. They say none of that is covered. Has anyone tried BBB?

Original review: March 25, 2018

Back in October 2013 I purchased mattress from Value City Falls Church, Virginia. A few months later, it started to sink. I contacted the store and they told me a service technician would visit to take measurements. That was done and a few weeks later I got the news that the sunken mattress was not 2 inches deep so they could not do anything. Well, long story short, there were 3 more times I could the store they did the same thing, and ultimately I was told that they would change it if I had it professionally cleaned so they could sell it at Clearance. Oh my I was upset beyond measures. My wife couldn’t believe so she said that it will be thrown away because we can’t continue encouraging them to rip off more people. It’s important to note that I contacted Simmons and they informed me I had to follow the store's policies and procedures. So, I guess I’d add Simmons to the story as an irresponsible and fishy organization.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My children want to get furniture at Value City Furniture being they just bought their house. I purchased the living set furniture and the warranty for them. After having the couch not even a year they had to have someone come out to look at the couch. It was falling apart. They repaired. Now it's falling apart again. A year later they will replace it but the warranty will no longer be any good and they have to pay $70 for delivery or they can pick it up but they have to take the old one back I said and we should charge them $70. This is the biggest rip-off I have ever seen plus their Furniture is no good anymore. It's the cheapest Furniture you could ever get. Stay away. On top of that their customer service people are the rudest unprofessional people you can speak to.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was scammed into getting the pure promise five year warranty that supposedly covered everything. Since I have a preschooler and a toddler it sounded like a good idea. They immediately denied coverage on my sectional couch. When we were moving we discovered the structural damage (this is supposed to be covered) and called on the warranty before even moving the couch. They said it would take a couple weeks for them to send a tech, we still had to move though so we took the couch in a Uhaul to our new home. Tech finally shows up and determines its transit damage despite us calling before we moved and them being unable to send a tech sooner (and they were told that we were moving).

We filed a dispute and they just told us transit damage wasn't covered. Now I'm going to stop here and drop the fact that it wasn't transited until AFTER the damage was noticed and called in and focus on the fact that when I bought this warranty from Michael ** at the VCF on Utica, I was told that literally anything that happened to my couch would be covered. This is a lie apparently because transit damage isn't covered and apparently they can and will just decide that any damage done can be whatever they don't cover. It's ridiculous. And a complete waste of money. I will never purchase from another lying VCF or get a warranty through pure promise. Not to mention the couch didn't even last a year and a half.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Try to make a claim with Pure Promise Warranty that I purchased through Value City Furniture. It's supposed to be a five year warranty. I only had the chair for 3 years. The material failed and came apart. When I tried to make a claim they told me that the material bubbled and cracked and that was not covered under the warranty although if I would have taken a knife and accidentally cut the back cushion then they would have covered the damage. So in other words if you vandalize and destroy your own furniture the warranty will cover it but just damage that occurs due to poor quality material they will not cover. So my advice to anyone that purchases this warranty make sure that your pet chews up the furniture or just take a knife to it and cut it up yourself.

That way your warranty will cover the damage because if you don't vandalize it yourself they will not cover it. They only cover vandalism. The better advice is just keep your money and don't waste your time or your money on the pure promise five-year worry-free warranty because you will be worried whether or not they're going to cover the damage and trust me what they do best is break their promise. Show me very much advised the Pure Promise Warranty is a fraud and a scam.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I furnished my house with your furniture. Had no trouble, but since October it was a nightmare with a sofa bed that I ordered, the first three (3) sofa beds were ripped and had a bad chemical odor. Now the Fourth sofa bed is shredding and they won’t take it back, so they are giving me an even exchange, but I didn’t want that. I want my money back, the customer service people were very nasty, so I put a dispute in with my credit card company to get my money back, they didn’t really care. They were still very nasty. I will not buy anything else in Value City Furniture in Manahawkin, NJ and I need more furniture. I wish something will be done after this review, so people will not go in any Value City Furniture, they have to lose their attitudes and be courteous to their customers.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Been long time customers... bought a king size bed and Mattress... dining room chairs (6)... and TV stand /fireplace. The bed chairs came within 2 weeks. TV stand hasn't come yet month and a half now. We were called 3 times to set up delivery only to find out it's not in yet. Very frustrated. We're told salesman is on vacation. That shouldn't matter. Isn't someone covering him?? Not happy. $3200 hundred dollars which we paid in full.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My nightmare began on February 9th. I ordered a new bed, my old one having broke after 20 years, and I was sleeping on the floor. It was supposed to be delivered on February 14th between 12 and 2. I work so I have to have my mother at the house to do things like this so it was already an inconvenience. They were an hour and a half late. When it came to assembly, the footboard was broken and they couldn't put the bed together. Okay, stuff happens. They reordered the footboard and gave me a new delivery date and time. They showed up a day early unannounced with rails. I didn't need rails. I needed a footboard. They came the next day. With rails. Again.

Finally on March 6th, they get my bed put together but they were, again, an hour late. The driver would not answer the phone to explain anything to me whatsoever. The company has not responded to my emails. When I call, they act like this is normal. The company has made NO effort to do anything for wasting my time and the inconvenience. The manager has not called to check and make sure it went okay or to offer an apology. I would've thought SOME type of effort would have been made on their end to make things right. It's sad because I am a longstanding customer of Value City, as is the rest of my family, because of it's location and affordability. Never again. A person sleeping on the floor shouldn't be given 4 delivery dates and wait a month with no apology or attempt to make things right. Never EVER again. I'll pay more and get my stuff with a company with a better attitude who treats people right.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Bought a leather sectional with warranty. Less than a year and they are broke and seat cushions deteriorated. Made a claim with the warranty and got pushed around for almost 6 months. Finally received repairs and they delivered back the wrong furniture. 2 months later I finally received a replacement piece that was also broken. Repaired myself and that's how I found out that the materials used to make the furniture is the absolute cheapest materials used. Particle board and staples. Junk!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Buying the dining room set from Dearborn was easy. The saleslady was great. I had a issues. The set was on back order so I did not get it until February 2017, and it arrived with defective chairs in the paint, scratches, terrible furniture, just look good. I was sent 4 new ones, and yes I took out that warranty. Now the chairs are peeling and this is just from sitting in the house, we do not sit rarely in the chairs, we use the basement set. Call store. They say it a manufacture's defect, called insurance, say it's the store, we have paid this money over 2k for the set, no one calls you back. Guy that came out with pictures very nasty to you. I'm waiting now as to what new lies I will hear or not hear, but do not buy their furniture. No one has called me back and the chairs are no good. The furniture no good. The warranty no good.

Value City Furniture Company Information