Value City Furniture
1.21/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

272 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I would not recommend. After waiting 2 weeks for my furniture to arrive they no show. I call, and am told that the furniture is running late. I have meetings this afternoon, and need to return to work. I do not have time to greet the truck. To further compound this issue apparently they sent me a footboard instead of the nightstand that I ordered, and have been waiting two weeks for. The refund will take 5 biz days to process. Meanwhile: I don't have furniture. To say that I'm angry right now would be an understatement. I needed that furniture. How is this company still in business?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a Beautyrest Recharge mattress and a queen bedroom set from Value City Furniture (VCF) 2 1/3 years ago. The mattress is sinking in one-section and the dresser drawers will not stay closed without a sock closed in it to keep them closed. I contacted VCF about the above products and during my initial contact, I got bad warranty information, then I called back and got a BOLD-FACE LIES when my receipt said something else and the icing on the cake (Customer Service Rep. said we brought those mattresses from Simmons and they cannot tell us what to do with our mattresses), mind you they have Simmons Warranty attached to the bed; however, they are not adhering to Simmons Warranty. I told the Customer Service Rep and Jason from the Burbank Illinois location that I have parted ways with VCF. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL GRAVELY REGRET IT!!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a $3,700 brown leather reclining sectional with a lifetime warranty due to the motorized reclining features and the salesman basically told my husband that if anything happens and it can't be fixed, they would replace the sofa. Less than 7 months later we began to notice the "leather" puckering and peeling in strange areas as if it were melted, I called the warranty company and was told that unless it had been cut or burnt they could not service it, meaning that if we messed it up they'll fix it but if it's due to a defect or just cheap material, they won't fix it.

I ended up buying patch tape kits for the areas I have to repair that has now become an everyday occurrence. Now the end of the sectional that is a chaise has caved in as if a spring has come loose so now there's a dent in my once nice comfortable expensive sectional. I have a black leather Ashley sectional purchased from Aaron's Furniture that is now 17 years old, gone through 5 moves, 4 teenagers and 7 grandkids and the only tear I have is in the back where it got caught on a doorframe when moved to our basement, other than that it's in great shape. I will never buy "leather" furniture from Value City again!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We bought all our furniture from Value City Furniture store 5 years ago. We did not take the protection plan because we thought we may not need it as we are gonna take good care of them. But what do we know of the quality the mattress, Serta memory foam king mattress, started to sink within an year and sectional sofa springs got damaged and two years the bonded leather started to peel off. Now it’s been five years. We are in need of furniture again. Thought the quality will be good. We don’t need protection plan and all. We spent 3000 bucks and everything gone waste. All our friends bought furniture from them thinking that we might have gone for best and lucky that they took protection plan. Unlike others complaint here about protection plan, our friends had their sofa and mattress replaced by Value City Furniture for the very same defects.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a sectional and bunk bed less than 2 years. The sectional leather is peeling and the top bunk bed the railing that holds the bed together is hanging down. I was told by VCF if I didn't have extended warranty they wouldn't fix, even if I agreed to pay to get fix. Cheap furniture!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The sofa I purchased was supposed to be leather but after only six months the fabric is starting to peel off. I paid $2300 for this sofa and it has to be thrown out. Please don’t go to this store for anything. They are just taking your money.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Michael Broidy (VP), Jay Schottenstein (CEO), and Jonathan Schottenstein (President), Value City Furniture and American Signature Furniture mission statement is weak. Value City states that, "We believe everyone has the right to a well-furnished life." The only thing you care about is furnishing your pockets with money. Feeding your bank accounts at the expense of hardworking people who are mistreated by uneducated, and poorly trained staff. Customers bring this family-owned businesses Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) and American Eagle Outfitters, Schottenstein corporation a lot of business.

Where is the great honor you say you have help families furnish their homes??? My current situation and ongoing memories with you are a horror. No one should go through countless problems ranging from broken furniture delivered from your warehouse to customers home, late arrivals to delivery, delivery men breaking and damaging furniture just to assemble. So, tell me what "memories are born"?

Your Value City commitment is only to yourselves. Since you are working on a so called reinventing yourselves by focusing on a "new, eclectic mix of products and a commitment to helping customers express themselves" how about you take all of that energy a pour it into training your staff so that the mission you have for your customers will be positive and pleasant.

Your customer service representative should be called receptionist. They do not possess the skills to assist or help customers. Representative lie, make excuses for why leadership is not available to answer phone calls constantly making excuses no one should be telling a customer to take in consideration their lunch break. My family has been more than inconvenienced by Value City Corporate. The resolution team is not trained to handle problems. They would rather hang up on you then deal with the problem. It's not my problem you have to eat lunch. There should be plenty of people to handle the call center.

What could we have done not to experience this monstrosity of a mayhem is not buy anything from your store period. We could have went to the distributor. Cut you out the middle. Your company sucks and should not be allowed to service in any country. Consumers should have to beg your company for respect after spending hard earned money at your store.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I just had a good experience. I bought a lot of stuff from Value City. I’ve had a back problem for a long time so I bought a real good mattress at the time. I paid $900 for it so I talk to the manager when I had a problem with that. They exchanged it and gave me a promotion if I paid $300 more so now I have $1100 into a mattress and after eight years at SAG than me so I had a 10 year warranty. So they came to my place, inspected it and says that it meets the qualifications of exchanging that this was the office and Henrietta so then the manager from the Rochester area on Ridge Road calls me and tells me they’re only going to allow me the $1100. I paid $1100 plus the promotion that the manager gave me.

The manager tells me there, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told the manager, “You gotta warranty the mattress I have.” He tells me, “We don’t do that anymore.” I told him, “You may not do that now but at the time I bought the mattress that was the promotion I got.” So the ** tells me, “Will give your money back on credit for the mattress you bought.” I said, “OK that’s how you do business. Give me my money back and I’ll go someplace else.” “Oh no. Will give you your credit in the store. Otherwise you don’t get nothing.” So I figure I better go in there and get the mattress otherwise I’d lose my $1100. Should know I go in there cost me $1400 more for the same mattress that I had that went bad now. He tells me the mattress is $2700.

He says, “You got to pay more money for the box springs now" for the same mattress that I bought there and paid more money for you get the box springs for the same mattress for Nas than when you buy the mattress at Ashley‘s. I will do all my shopping at Ashley‘s. They are honest and fair. Not a bunch of crooks like Value City. They’ll make you the price and say it’s warranty for 10 years but they don’t tell you they’re going to give you less than what you had. The manager there is a crock, a liar and a thief. Watch when you shop there. Beware. They're crooks. So now I have a new mattress over $2500 that’s the last of the money that I’m crooks will ever see from me. The best part is I bought a lot of stuff there and spent a lot of money and trusted them. So let everybody know what liars they are and Crook.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased my sectional sofa from Value City Furniture in Jan. 2017. By the time I paid it off in full (six months after the purchase date) it was already falling apart. The fabric is coming off in strips as if the material wasn't reinforced a bit. It is happening in all areas of the couch but, predominately on my Chase and Cuddler. My cushions also began to sag almost immediately.

I wasn't expecting a couch that was perfect as the price ($1,500) usually reflects the quality. But, this was literally like throwing my money out the window. I would have preferred to buy something used then to have spent that much money on something that looks like it's been used for years by someone with pets and kids. I'm truly disappointed and will NEVER give this company another dime of my money. It is such a waste! I recommend you go elsewhere and do your research on what you're getting. I SO wish I had researched reviews for the quality of their furniture. The majority of them are disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I went to The Value City Furniture at 6067 E Main St, Columbus, OH 43213. I was waited on by a professional and patient man named Mr. **. He was calm (when I wasn't), kind and understanding. Later the next week I received several calls regarding verification of purchase, address and delivery date and window. Everyone that I spoke with was pleasant and accurate. Then today (on time and fighting the rain) two very pleasant young men came to deliver and assemble my bedroom suite. They were professional, quiet, and quick. This whole experience from start to finish could not have gone any better in my eyes. You all are doing a wonderful job and are a true example of Excellent customer service and going above and beyond. I will be a customer for life. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have ordered on 7/20 and got to know that my furniture will arrive on 7/25 which was arrived however a few parts were missing and had some cosmetic issues. Since then technicians and delivery guys came 4 times to my home but cosmetic issues are still there. Also slates supports are still missing from the storage bed so we can use it until it fixed. When I called VCF customer care they asked me to call again after one or two days as they were not able to see details in their system. When I called again and explained my issues, my call forwarded to someone else then I have explained again then again forwarded to someone else and she putted me on hold for 15 min and finally talked to me and gave me one more date for fixing issues and getting my full order delivered. So it would be almost a month and my issues will still be there as it is and yes I have paid for shipping.

Original review: July 26, 2018

With 3 small children we were concerned about safety and stain resistance when buying furniture. So we spent hours with the sales team and of course purchased the warranty... Getting right to the point. Coffee table was unsafe and legal action pending. Sofa was stained... Bottom line. If they do not want to honor their warranty they give you your money back for the warranty! It's a total scam. I spoke to Sylvester in Dayton NJ. He has no boss. He has no authority. He reads from a script... Has no idea who his boss is. At least Value City should invest in legal services or a decent customer service department?

Original review: July 24, 2018

I bought a sofa from Value City about four years ago. It was a vinyl couch and it is falling apart. Not only is the vinyl cracking and peeling off, but frame is sagging. I live alone so things last very long in my home, this is the exception. I went to the store and complained, they did nothing about it. Save your money and go to a store that sells better quality furniture.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought my bedroom suite from Value City a year ago. A month after getting the set a ring was left from a body oil set. I filed a claim through the $300 warranty company Pure Promise and waited & waited for a response. Went to the page and seen my claim was closed & denied the claim because it was attached to another damage that was not find in 15 days of the incident... No Email sent, No Phone call made. They just expect for you to check their site daily for a response.

When I called to see why this wasn't covered when I paid for furniture insurance they said, "It's a store manufacturing issue" and to call Value City and when I did VCF passed the blame to Pure Promise but All & All the ring was never fixed! I spent $1300 dollars on a bedroom suite plus extra $300 to cover for damage protection and they only scammed me out of my money because nothing is ever fixed! 2 days ago I left my workout weights on the dresser to woke up the next morning to work out and in print of the weights were left in the dresser where the paint came off. Filed a claim the next day. Just looked and they denied the claim. Just HORRIBLE experience altogether. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM Value City and expect them to stand behind their product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Value City Furniture in Amherst NY: I purchased a captain's bed with 3 drawers and a trundle. The bed itself is wonderful, but Value City's customer service is horrible. One of the drawers was busted, and in a way I could not repair. By way of online chat, I was told I'd have to completely dismantle the bed, bring it back to the store (I hired someone to pick it up for me--more money to return it), get a replacement bed, and have to put the whole thing back together again. I've contacted them again, and just got ignored.

Horrible customer service for ignoring the customer, and for apparently having a return policy that incurs the maximum amount of inconvenience to the customer. What should have been done from day one is that I should have brought the broken drawer back the store and been provided with a replacement drawer. I won't be shopping with this franchise again. It's always more expensive to lose a customer.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I purchased the round Charleston Dining table at Value City Furniture in Aurora IL on June 21, 2018, and set up delivery. It was delivered on June 26th and the base was damaged. Customer service said they would deliver another table and 10 days later they did. That table had 15 holes in the table top. Customer service ask me to try one more time and they promised to have the table inspected before it went on the delivery truck. Today June 5th they delivered another table with the same holes. I think it was the exact one they delivered before. This time the delivery driver actually tried to assure me that those holes were part of the design from the manufacturer, So I ask him why didn't they have this table in the showroom because the one I bought in the showroom did not have holes in the top of the table!!! UNBELIEVABLE. I will not shop at Value City again.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I came in looking for a living room suite and was helped by Carla. She really knew her stuff. I felt very comfortable and was very pleased with the help I received. I highly recommend shopping at Value City and I highly recommend asking for Carla.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Bought a sectional along with a 7 year protection warranty. Went to make a claim about the leather pulling away from the top of pillows and back of couch and sides but the warranty center said it wasn't covered. Well I was tossed back and forth and the warranty company said it only covers areas where the body doesn't touch. There's pulling on the back and sides but now the warranty company says it doesn't cover cracked or pulling leather or vinyl. WHAT. A. RIP. OFF!!! The warranty booklet given pretty much says it covers everything. I’m going to look into a small claims suit. This is such a rip off!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a new sectional and everything was great at first. Then the showroom I purchased from closed and now the closest showroom to me is 2 hours away. Anyways, I called because my cushions were sagging really bad after about 3 months. I inquired about it with customer service, and they couldn't even pull up my account for 20 minutes!!! Not exaggerating. Then they told me they would replace my cushion cores. One time courtesy... that was in January 2018. It's now the end of June and I haven't heard anything from them. I contacted multiple times and they kept telling me they would contact the vendor to get an ETA... no response after that... ever. I work for a furniture company, and I could NEVER imagine not responding to a customer or keeping them updated as to what's going on with their orders. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HERE!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is the absolutely worst furniture store I have ever shopped at as well as the crap warranty they sell to you at the time you purchase your furniture with them. The warranty company does everything they can to not honor the warranty and when you call Value City Furniture they tell you that the warranty company is a third party vendor even though they are the ones who sold you the warranty. Value City Furniture is certainly making money off this warranty as well or they would not be selling a product for another company. I have filed complaints with the BBB, Attorney Generals Office as well as the Office of Consumer Affairs. I think anyone who has been ripped off regarding this warranty should do the same thing so maybe people can stopped being ripped off.

Original review: June 15, 2018

In 2013, me and my wife looked at a leather sofa sectional at Value City Furniture for $ 1800 dollars. The sales person said it's real leather and I even brought the leather cleaner and conditioner care kit. Well after 2 years when the warranty is up, the leather on the couch started pilling and now after 4 years of pilling the couch looks a mess. I don't even want to invite nobody over because the couch has bare spots all over it, where the leather or so called leather has came off the cloth on the couch. Me and my wife usually buy our couch from Harlem Furniture and it last a long time, but we gave Value City a try because it was a lot cheaper price and we are regretting it now. Please everybody listen to this message, do not buy nothing from Value City Furniture. They sell cheaply made furniture and it do not last long, so in the long run, you will be wasting your money. Stay away from this Value City cheap store.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Store doesn't honor manufacturer warranty. Purchased extended 5 year warranty they will not honor that. 1 year into furniture seat are wearing and fading. Customer Service and Sale Managers will not return calls as stated. $7000.00 in furniture purchased. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I financed it through Acceptance Now so I paid double. It was considered a rental, and if a payment was missed Value City would repossessed the furniture and humiliate you. The delivery took pictures. I thought it was shabby business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased a reclining sectional in December 2014 along with the Pure Promise warranty. The pull handle that operates the recliner on the loveseat has broken FOUR times since then. It has been fixed three previous times and I informed Furniture Solutions (warranty company) that I need a permanent solution because the wire that holds the pull is thin and ineffective. Each time they just put a new handle on the same old wire. The last break was a few weeks ago. The warranty company sent a technician out and he did not have the correct part because he was sent the wrong picture of the part. They ask for pictures of the problem. He said he would order the part and they would call to schedule another appointment. They did not call and when I reached out to them, they said it would be eight to 12 weeks for the part. They stated that it would be shipped directly to me and then I need to call to schedule a technician. Not acceptable!

Furniture Solutions would not budge on escalating. I called Value City corporate office and explained that they need to stand behind their products and replace the love seat. They refused. I spoke to Manager Larry at the North Olmsted store where I purchased the sectional, explaining again that they need to stand behind their furniture. Larry, like corporate, claims his hands are tied. I do not want the same furniture. I told him I would take any love seat, one on clearance would be fine. He refused. I told him about a dining set with four chairs that I purchased prior to the sectional. All the screws in all the chair constantly fall out. The quality of their furniture is bad and as far as them standing by their furniture, non-existent. Sad. Will never purchase from them again. I foresee this love seat on the curb this December once the warranty expires.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We were looking for a living room set and found one we liked in the East Brunswick store. We negotiated a price with Nate, the store manager, and I thought all we had to do was pay and go. Nate said he'd be right back, and then 20 minutes later, came back and said he couldn't sell us the set for the price we already agreed on. This was a very poor shopping experience. We left and found the same living room set at Raymour and Flanningan, and got the price we wanted. Don't shop there!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Value City Furniture - Toms River, NJ: I honestly can't say enough bad things about the "quality" of this furniture. We've had a couch from them for about 5 years. The cushions lost anything resembling a cushion within the first year, they just became flat and uncomfortable. You basically sit on a sunken in and uncomfortable frame. All of the pillows around the couch have ripped apart at the seams and the stuffing if you could call it that is coming out. It will be your biggest regret in life to get furniture from this horrible place. You're better off buying Walmart furniture, because at least you're getting it at Walmart prices instead of the insane amount of money we spent on this. It's an embarrassment to have in our home and I can't wait to throw it out on the curb, where I assure you it will remain because no one wants anything that is this low quality, even if it's free.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This was my first and last time I will be shopping at VCF. I had purchased a bed and was told that it could be held until we moved into the new house. However when I went in to make my final payment on April 13th I was told the bed had been discontinued (with no notification of this about to happen). The staff suggested I could find something else for the same price but there was nothing else I wanted. At that point they were very helpful and found me one in another store out of state that could ship it. The staff member at that store told me it would ship out the next week at the latest.

Fast forward to last week: I call to check on its progress and was told that it hadn’t completely shipped yet. After several people making calls to the store to see what was going on I decided to cancel my order and shop elsewhere. Either the manager did not come in until later that day or we were told that they would call us back (they didn’t).

Original review: April 23, 2018

Have had to call Value City several times within months. 3 bad mattress. All 3 times with the same problem with sinking in the middle. This last time they left me a voice mail telling me they will be delivering me a new mattress in exchange for the very same mattress, I think not. In the past I was told to go into store and choose another of equal value, but VC you will not give me anything you want, that's not it. Also purchased sofa/loveseat recliners which are horrible. After getting them home, no support to them at all, when you recline you feel like you sinking in the hole, very cheap. They were brought to me defective but did not know, knew something was wrong, VC sent someone out to check the mattress/sofas out and he took pictures and wrote reports on both because he witnessed the defects.

I am so angry that VC has not called me to apologize and to go into store to pick something else in exchange. Frustrated. Time to contact CORPORATE now, VC will lose me as a Great Customer. Back to Stanley's I go where I know the is made of great quality from experience with them. The one star is for CJ, who helped me in the store. And Ty to Tracy ** who was sent out by VC, examining mattress/sofas, took pictures and was very professional.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve had the worst experience with Value City. I mean I only been dealing with them since March of 2018. I was told everything was going to come April 7 and it didn’t. The employees are rude and don’t even make things clear. I mean I didn’t get a option to choose from a box or split spring for my bed and the lady who sold me the items was so thirsty for a sell so she completed my order without asking.

My bed come and the box spring didn’t fit. I explained to the lady on the phone what happened and I had to pay more money. I mean they couldn’t work out anything for the mistake their worker caused. I mean they call and harass you about making your monthly payments on time, but is a horrible furniture company and their employees need to be retrained. The delivery driver got my number out of my files and texted my phone after. I have had it with them! Yes I’m making a complaint now Because I couldn’t find a place too and now I did. Come July when everything needs to be paid off, I’m paying it off and I’ll never deal with this place again!!!

Original review: April 21, 2018

Not up to par with Macy's, Bob's or similar stores... They have the worst customer service. They are quick to say I'm sorry about every issue but refuse to take ownership of any problem. I purchased a kitchen table in November. One of the legs had a major crack in it. After several attempts to get a tech out to review the issue (2 months later in January) one arrived. He informed me and my wife that he needed to order a replacement leg. He also mentioned that it may take up to sixty days to arrive. OK, in mid-March I called to get a status of the leg replacement and was informed that someone on the Value City side dropped the 'ball' and the replacement leg was not ordered.

I was assured they would rush the order and get the leg by late March. OK, late March arrived and I was told that the leg never arrived and they would have to put another leg on order. But this time a manager would follow this until completion. April came and no call from the manager or Value City. After I made numerous calls and finally reaching another manager I was told that they would take the leg from one of the full tables and install it on my table. Now it is late April (six months later) and I am still waiting on a replacement leg to a kitchen table that we cannot use in fear it will fall and hurt someone. Recommendation, if you can afford a few extra bucks more, stay away from ValueCity. The long time statement is true... 'You get what you pay for'...

Value City Furniture Company Information