Value City

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My wife and I decided to use my VA loan to purchase our first home this past April. We didn't want to bring our apartment furniture so we decided to go to Value City to purchase some nice living room furniture. We went to the value city store in Pineville North Carolina and found a beautiful faux leather sectional we loved and decided to purchase it for 2,400 dollars roughly. After delivering the furniture everything was fine until around July when we noticed one day, that the upholstery was bubbling and separating from the sofa in the wedge piece. We called Value City and they sent a technician out to look at the sofa the next weekend.

The technician came and took photos and told us someone should be getting with us to set up a repair or to replace it within the next few days. Two weeks went by and nothing so we called the store to inquire about the status and were told they would have someone from the service warehouse call us the next day. Of course no one calls us back so we called once again and asked could someone please let us know what we could do about the sofa. The manager we talked to said she was going to call the warehouse and asked to put me on hold.

After being on hold for 10 minutes the call disconnected and when we tried to call back no one would answer. I decided to give them a few days to see if someone was really going to call back and after a week nothing. After being treated this way I decided to call the corporate office to file a complaint. The gentleman I spoke to assured me this was not acceptable and stated that he would look into this and either the store manager or regional manager would get back to me in a reasonable amount of time.

It has now been two weeks and still we have been ignored. My wife and I work very hard for the things we have and the money we spent on that sofa didn't come easy for us with a new baby and a new home. We were treated with total disregard and disrespect by everyone involved with the exception of the technician who came to our home to look at the sofa whom was very nice and professional. This has been a very disheartening experience for us and I will never purchase another thing from Value City. I wouldn't want another hard working family to have to go through what we have. We spent a lot of money for what we thought was quality furniture and now have nothing to show for it. My wife and I both agree that even if they had told us they weren't going to cover the repair that it would have been better than being completely ignored.

Purchased 2 leather reclining sofa and extended warranty. Sofa started peeling and cracking. Filed a claim and was denied. The reason for denial was it is not leather it is bonded leather. I was told that it is leather but warranty company still denied! The warranty from United clearly states cracking or peeling!

Updated on 09/02/2017: Purchased extended warranty that will not cover anything - Purchased bonded leather reclining sofas. They began to crack and peel. Filed claim with warranty and was denied. Continued to file and denied every time. Called Value City after seeing NBC special and was told "we will offer you a depreciated amount. We will send someone out to look at it." A month after the inspection I called and was told the damage had gone on too long. I explained that when it first happened I filed a claim with the warranty company about a year ago and they kept denying the claim. Still no coverage, the furniture peeled and continues to peel. Value City will not stand behind their furniture!

Worse store to buy in. Make sure when you go in to not to buy especially from Mark **. He will promise you warranty, charge you for it (and then charge is under something else) and then when you have complain, even not a year from when you buy, he will tell you that you don't have a warranty and he never told you you do and basically call you a liar. Stay away from this store. I am stuck now with damaged mattress that I paid over $2000. Don't buy from them.

Value City Furniture (Acceptance Now) is the worst company I've ever dealt with. They have a "90 day same as cash program" which is an absolute joke. I purchased a sectional and chair for 1900 dollars. When my payment was due I offered 600 to pay towards my balance within the 90 day deal. They said that I could only pay the amount of 178.00 or a double payment. I was livid and still am. The salesman never explained the payment policy that way. He told me a bunch lies. Now they're saying I'll be paying 5000 dollars for furniture that's only worth 1900. That's bad business and I'll never refer friends, family nor enemies to this company. It's a total ripoff.

This company is terrible! I purchased $7800.00 worth of furniture, a couch, loveseat, recliner, a mattress and box springs and an $800.00 bed frame that adjusts. The mattress was bad, it took me 1 month of not being able to walk when I woke up, and 4 phone calls to find out that I was able to trade it in for a new mattress. The living room furniture is leather and in under a year the brown wore off and it was orange on one cushion, there were orange spots everywhere because the color faded on the couch recliners and back cushions and the stuffing in the recliner was so flattened that you sank into it!

It has taken me 4 phone calls hearing "8-12 weeks" and a call to corporate 13 weeks later to find that they hang up on corporate also!!! I will NEVER buy from this company again, I will recommend on social network that nobody EVER buy from this company. I would like to add that corporate is very nice to deal with. HOWEVER it is just as frustrating when they have to put you on hold 5 or more times to get to the bottom of the situation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

I purchased a three piece leather living room suite from Value City Furniture a few years back. At that time I paid $400-500 dollars for "The Pure Promise" warranty. The furniture started pulling away at the seams. I called the company and submitted a claim. After several attempts find a time that I could be there during my work day they sent a technician to make the repairs/evaluate the problem. When he arrived he took several pictures, went to his car and got his sewing kit and came back in and repaired the recliner. He stated he didn't have enough of the thread to do the couch and loveseat and would order it and come back.

I asked him if he could repair one area that was really bad on the love seat, he said that would be a different claim but he would do it for $10.00 cash if I wanted him to. I paid him $10.00 to repair that area and left. I called after three weeks because I didn't hear anything back. They said that the claim had been declined due to "pet damage". You can clearly see in the pictures that the seams are pulling apart and the thread is loose and it is not from pets. My pets do not get on the furniture. I will never purchase furniture from Value City again or this so called "warranty" and if you are smart you will not either. A total waste of money.

I bought furniture for my whole house and was very satisfied until the legs on my dining room chairs broke. I called and scheduled to have them repaired twice each time the person did not have what was needed to repair them. My chairs are still broke and I lost 2 days of leave from work because they don't do Saturdays. I called a month ago and this time I was told I had to go through another company for warranty issues. I called the warranty company and I was told the warranty did not cover the wood on my wood chairs. My ottoman leg broke also, I was told the warranty did not cover the plastic leg. I went to Lowe's and purchased a wooden leg for about $9, even though it doesn't match and I paid $34.99 for the warranty. Why sell warranties from a company that does not honor.

NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM VCF AND IF YOU DO DON'T EVERY OPT FOR PURE PROMISE EXTENDED WARRANTY. We purchased a 3-seater sofa and a love seat from VCF a couple of years ago and since it was light colored fabric the sales associate, in the most convincing tone asked us to buy the Pure Promise extended warranty (the store tried to sell the warranty on everything that we bought). What they did not tell us was that this warranty came with its own sets of riders.

About a month ago we started to notice disfiguration of the frame and loss of resilience in the cushions, so much so that the sofa is becoming uncomfortable to sit on anymore. I called the warranty company to file a claim and after taking all the details I was told that the claim cannot be processed since I did not get back to them within 10 DAYS of noticing the problem. One buys extended warranty for peace of mind and not to get hassled and rejected when you really need it. I would never buy from and recommend VCF and Pure Promise to anyone. They rob you of your hard earned money by selling absolute pathetic and poor quality furniture and a warranty that is equally useless.

Absolutely horrible experience. Do not recommend purchasing from this place. For the life of me I cannot understand how sales people still resort to flat out lying, deception and old fashioned bait and switch. To make a long story short, they refused to honor the price marked on the merchandise, claiming the "stock guy" marked it wrong. Then one of the managers sold me on some items he said were worth a certain amount. When I went to pick it up they tried to give me items worth $800 less than what I was told l was getting. After calling them out on it, they had the nerve to make it seem like I was wrong because I was still getting a good deal. I just wanted what I was told I was getting. I dealt with a total of three different managers (or so they claimed they were managers) and honestly got the impression none of them really cared that I was lied to, and that they tried to trick me.

I have 1 couch and it cost $699.57. I paid $458.00 and now they tell me that since I'm out of my window, so now they are taking half my payment, talking about now it's considered rental. But they told me that it was an appr of 455... not 45% a month. So now they are saying I owe $417 more dollars in which I should only owe $241.57. This was from the Value City on 33377 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights, MI 48312. If you are smart you will not use their services. It's a ripoff.

We bought sectional a year ago and noticed little damage on fabric. Called Value City Furniture and they send technician who took pictures. Couple days after they give me phone number of warranty company telling me that since I purchased extra protection they will be able to help me. They send their technician who took pictures and told me that he is going to order fabric and come back to fix it. Instead of having someone to fix it I received letter saying that fabric failure is not covered under warranty. It is manufacture failure and no one is responsible for it. I will never buy anything from VCF.

I purchased a living room set that was too large for the room. When I went to address exchange it, at that time and only that time, was I informed of $280 restocking fee. The manager told me I should have asked about it and to read my receipt. The manager also told me they can't go over all policy and return information. Not the answer I was was expecting. Money wasted for me.

This is to let everyone know not to shop at Value City Furniture. I bought a sectional and recliner in November of 2016 and still can't get them to replace or refund my money. Called the bank and filed a dispute and that has got me nowhere. This furniture was 6 weeks old. It's a joke!!!

I buy all my house furniture from them before 2.5 years and before one year, one of the bed broken, I go to Gurnee store 4 times and they told me that they will contact me to solve the problem and they not. After 8 months they give me a solution, guess what they give me. 90 dollars to fix my broken bed and that's it!!! I told you they are liars and thieves.

I brought a table and chairs and got home, no screws. Called back and let them know thinking I can go get them the next day, but no it took them a whole week, then get the screws home. Not the screws for the chairs at all. Not the size or nothing so they just gave me anything and it took them a week to give me the wrong stuff, so called again. Was told they going to call me when they have them ready for me to pick up, still not screws and no call. Just won't buy nothing from them again.

I ordered a bedroom set at the end of April or beginning of May 2017. Their computer wouldn't print out the documents, therefore I was informed someone will call me (have yet to receive that call). I received a letter stating my account was approved through Fortiva. I started making payments. My pickup date was 5/25/17. My husband went to pick up the merchandise, and he was told they never ordered it because I didn't sign the application. I went to the store, they told me the same thing, then they called Fortiva. Fortiva informed them that payments were made and why was the application sent if the customer never signed it. There was no explanation, no apology, NOTHING. She gave me my refund and told me Corporate would send the rest. Now that leaves my daughter without a graduation present. I'm really Surprised at VCF and let down.

Purchased what was described as leather sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman. I was highly recommended that I purchase the warranty and I did. I also used the protector on the chairs. When the chairs began to peel, I contacted the warranty company to find out my chairs were not leather. I then went back to the Value City store in Newport News, VA to be told there was nothing they could do. My next complaint was a refund of my funds for the warranty that was not applicable to my purchase and I conceded. My once beautiful chairs are truly embarrassing.

I purchased a sectional sofa from Value City Furniture located in Alexandria Virginia. After having the furniture for several weeks I noticed whelps, rashes, swelling, itching, and sneezing after sitting on the sofa. In reviewing the sofa Construction materials I noticed it contained 90% of polyurethane foam. Polyurethane foam can cause cancer and from breathing in the fumes within the material.

I contacted Value City Furniture for a refund, and instead they tried to send me a duplicate replacement sofa. After refusing the duplicate replacement sofa, and returning the original sofa to Value City Furniture, I have been trying to get a refund on my Discover card but almost $3000. I have been unsuccessful in working with Value City Furniture and with Discover card. Beware of Value City, and by all means do not use Discover card for any of your financial dealings. If you visit the web page of the consumer financial protection bureau you will find hundreds and hundreds of complaints regarding Discover card. Buyer beware.

First time customers! They promise us the furniture we were purchasing would hook together (5 pieces, 3 for sofa and 2 for love seat) After waiting almost 3 months to receive the furniture paces and multiple trips to the store after receiving a call saying our order was in (which it was still on back order and not there), phone calls, and then doesn't fit together! Leave work to meet their guy who can't fix it at my home. Wait for Mike the manager to call me (never received a call). I call and he tells me he will call me the next day. (No call) A week+ later still no call (today 5/4/17). I call. Mike gives me multiple excuses about how their delivery truck is down. (Not my problem and don't know what that had to do with my furniture not hooking together) Mike says he will call me in two hours with a solution. (Never called. I waited an additional 30 min) I call corporate who directs me right back to him.

Mike informs me to come in to find something that will work and BOOM here comes the rape! He wants me to give him an additional $700+! Then Mike treated me like I was trying to get over on him! I would have been content had they given me pieces that had fit together like promised! Absolutely unprofessional! Mike should not be in management he has no customer service whatsoever! Never have I ever been treated so badly for something that was not my fault!

We ordered our furniture in March 14th for our move in May... Needless to say our bed came on time, however it was installed incorrectly. One piece of our sofa came and the Ottoman came. However one section was missing. No one EVER informed us that the other piece was on back order even though we were guaranteed that the furniture would be here. What a waste! The customer service is horrible. Rudest most smart mouth people ever always answer the phone. I absolutely HATE that I chose this company to purchase furniture from. Hate it!!! I'm thinking of sending everything back and just canceling the order... What a waste!!! Oh and mind you we're paying for furniture we don't even have yet!!!

Purchased a leather sectional for $3200 then paid 495 for the extended warranty. The framing over the past few months had failed in the back parts of the recliner. Their remedy is to fix or replace. Their idea of fixing is to take a pry bar and bend the weak frame into place, however the framing that was failing was wood and is busted. They closed the repair out as fixed!!

I called back in to them to let them know nothing was fixed and that we were getting ready to move in a week. They said they'd get someone on it in a rush. The night before we move nothing was done and they won't look at it while it is in storage. Again, they said they try to fix it and may have to wait on parts which could take up to 2wks after looked at for the second time. Buyer beware!! This warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Not to mention the quality of Value City is total junk!! And to think that I was told the whole frame was steel! Not!! I had offered to send them pics, but they refused. That wasn't good enough.

They always looked out for me & treated me like they cared. I even needed a lounge chair box & without questioning my reasons they gave me a box. I love my furniture that I brought. I will grade them with 10 stars & 100% care for their customers. Thank you for an awesome experience. I will continue giving them my support & business???

I went to the Value City store in Hbg Pa to buy a sofa. I purchased the sofa that day and was never told the sofa was out of stock and was lied to about the delivery the next week. Since they said they could deliver my sofa so fast I paid the $90 delivery fee instead of getting a friend to pick it up in their truck. I also paid a $40 fee to pay it in installments after I was told there were no hidden costs to do so. That was a month ago, I have been told twice that my sofa was being delivered and yet no one shows up?? I've missed work and lost income, much needed income, waiting for this sofa. The mgr. at the store is always too busy to get on the phone when I call and the delivery mtg. just keeps lying to me about when the sofa is coming and why yet again, it isn't delivered again. Never buy anything from this store, it's a waste of money because you never get your furniture and now I'm out over $500 for a sofa that cost $350.

I purchased a sectional from Value City Furniture Store in 2012 in the half price section and was assured that it was genuine leather. After about a year it started peeling, the recliner was malfunctioned within the first month. I reported this to them but was reminded that the purchase was as is, 3700 dollars later one part of the sectional is completely peeled, and I am very embarrassed when I have company, and I am now unemployed. They did assure me that this sectional was genuine leather. Something should be done about these people for defrauding people out of their hard-earned money. I will always tell my friends not to buy anything from Value City Furniture.

I went in the store and purchased a sofa/loveseat combo that advertised for $629.99. I paid for the furniture, warranty ($129.99), and delivery ($149.99) in full. When I got in to my vehicle, I took a moment to review my receipt. I noticed that I was overcharged for the furniture $699.99. I went back in and notified them, and they were friendly enough and processed my refund that came to me in three days. Fast forward nine days to delivery day of my furniture: the delivery guys showed up with only my sofa!! They called the office and the office told them to let me know that they would deliver the other piece on the following day!

I was very upset due to the fact that this company had over a week to get my order together, which didn't happen; secondly, the company didn't even have the common courtesy to give me a call to let me know that they didn't have my piece of furniture. Thirdly, after I called them, the only thing that was offered was that I could take the sofa, take delivery of the loveseat of the following day, and a partial refund on the delivery. UNACCEPTABLE!! This is bad business, and now that I have read Consumer Affairs, I'm really wishing I had taken my business elsewhere. There aren't too many good reviews on the list...

I am so disgusted with the purchase of a warranty agreement that means nothing when you have need to use it. My sectional has a sunken hole in the recliner and leather is turning orange to which they are telling me those things are not covered in the warranty. The personnel is so rude and had the nerve to explain to me what the word exclusions meant. I'm looking for a new sectional but I will never go to VC again nor let any child or relative waste good money.

Please don't buy the Seaside Twin Bed - White - SKU#1557238 - $329.99. The bed rails are made of "pressed wood" or "particle board". After 3 years of mild, appropriate use, one of the rails snapped. VCF was no help at all. Even my negative review was deleted from their website.

I bought this couch two years ago. Now it is falling apart. I called Pure Promise to fix it, but they will not. I essentially wasted 130.00 on nothing! I will never buy another piece of furniture from Value City Furniture (all junk) and Pure Promise will never see a dime (a sham).

Unnecessarily rude! I never even got hateful with them! All I asked was for the things that were covered by my warranty be fixed and because it happened 15 days ago it can't be! I was never told I was supposed to call that day it happened! Sorry I have 3 kids and a life and haven't had time to get around to it until now! They got rude with me before I even had a chance!! I told her "thank you" when I got off the phone and she said "yup" and hung up on me!!!

Had issues with products, when we spoke to Shaun who was suppose to be a manager he was rude and no help at all. In his words (Not Our Problem)!!! My husband and I have purchased 2 living room suites from Value City and I recommended to my daughter, will never recommend or buy another thing from Value City!!!

Value City Furniture Company Profile