Value City Furniture
1.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Value City

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

225 Value City Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Went to Value City in 2016, bought love seat and sofa with recliners, was conned into buying their extended warranty for 5 yrs and was told that if any problems there would be no questions asked. Well the leg rests after 1 yr has gone flat and I was told that it was cushion not cotton filled. Nothing but junk and lies. In beginning I had issues with delivery with love seat. They gave me a broken love seat (wood cracked), I called them. They said they would change it out, that one had tears in fabric, they then said, "We will bring you another one", turned around and gave me the same flipping wood broken in same spot love seat. I spent well over 1k for the furniture with tables that are junk and no one honors the warranty, now I am stuck doing repairs on my own. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. If I knew this would happen I would have kept my 13 yr sectional.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I placed order online on 12/27/17 and was told and writing it will be delivered on 1/13/18 but 2 days before delivery I got a call tell me that items are not available anymore, manufacturer is not making them anymore. When I look up online it is still available for sale. So that angry I went to a store on 86th street Indianapolis and thank God for **. She listened my problems and help me with new repurchases. You can only thank ** that I am still your customer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have had so many problems with Value City furniture over past few years, but I'm going to just talk about my most recent... My son's bed keeps breaking and even had to be completely replaced a time before. I called to inform them that it is broken AGAIN. They send a tech out. He takes pictures and says someone would contact me. After a month of no contact, I called them. I was told someone would call me back. After another week, I call back and finally talk to the assistant manager who tells me the bed isn't going to be replaced because it was deemed customer abuse. When I asked how, she said it looks like bed was being jumped on. I told her my son is 19 years old and does not jump on the bed.

If she looks back in the notes, she can see this product has been replaced before. Not to mention, he is a college student, so he wasn't even home. Came home for Thanksgiving, sat on the bed, and it broke. Mind you, I'm dealing with Value City and not the warranty place because when I purchased all my other furniture (bed for myself and living room furniture) the warranty was put on everything but his bed. I was told I should have paid better attention. When I called to complain, they agreed to cover servicing it for the time it should have been under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I was due to have a sales rep come and inspect my couch that I purchased in November for a defect. When I scheduled the appointment, I was told the service agent would reach out to me two days before my scheduled date. I never heard from anyone, so the morning of my appointment, I called and they told me that Someone called me the day before my appointment at 618 pm and I had confirmed the time of 1:30 pm- 4:30 pm. I said to the customer service rep that if I received a time I wouldn't be calling this am for a time. The rep on the phone was very rude. So I agreed to the 130 pm-4:30 pm and I return home at 1 pm to wait for the rep to come and assess my couch.

420 pm I am like what's going on. I call the store and they tell me I was a no show and was rescheduled for the next week. I am so mad because again I was lied to and was never informed by anyone from the store about my new scheduled time. No one at the store wants to accept responsibility or accountability for the lies/ misinformation from their team. I have been a customer of Value City for a long time and I have never experienced anything like this. My trust in this company is gone!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Value City Furniture is cheap! We purchased our furniture just over a year ago. A piece of the wood frame busted through the back of the couch. I made a claim (as we had purchased the Pure Promise warranty which is through Uniters) and we were denied because apparently you need to claim within the 15 days. Shame on us for not reading the "fine print". So a different piece of the couch broke on the bottom middle part. My husband called Uniters the same day it happened and they denied the claim. So frustrating! I don't think it matters what the problem is. Uniters will find a way not to cover it and Value City was no help! CHEAP furniture. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Value City?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I'm very disappointed in my bed, my daughter's bed and my couch. All have broken wood over $3,000 worth of furniture that is now trash!!!! I would NEVER EVER recommend anyone to buy furniture at VCF!!??

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The sectional I bought ended up with wood from inside poking through the back of it only after 14 months after purchase. The table and chair set has unstable chairs that have started falling apart. The furniture is cheap.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Bought a $2200 sectional a couple of years ago when we lived in Ohio and have since moved to Arkansas. Because of the amount of the purchase we opted for the Uniters Pure 7 yr warranty. Two sections of the furniture started peeling so I called to report the problem. I've been told they can only offer a portion of the value based on when it was purchased, and as an in store credit. Oh and by the way, I would have to bring the furniture pieces back to the store. Since I do not live in a state where there is not store they were kind enough to offer a cash settlement of HALF of what the store credit would be, which comes to about 20% of what I originally paid...

So this doesn't sit well because the whole reason you purchase a warranty to cover manufacture defects and the peeling and cracking is CLEARLY a manufacturer's issue. And looking through Value City's reviews I am 100% positive this is a HUGE issue but they refuse as a company to take care of their customer. When you have a 1 star rating, that tells you all you need to know!!! I am the director of sales for a manufacturer of consumer products and extremely familiar with customer service and how important it is to take care of your customer. It's abundantly Value City has no clue where their revenue comes from. If they don't make a change soon they will be out of business in a few years. They are running customer away and there are plenty of other furniture retailers out there that provide a much better customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I purchased the Pure Promise Warranty for my couch thinking it was worth it if I got a stain. It cost an extra $79.99 in addition to the cost of the couch. I contacted them to file a claim because of a stain and they sent someone out with a little green machine to clean the stain which I noticed did not come out until after it dried. I tried to call them the next day and a recording said to allow them 14 days to process the claim and contact me via phone or email. They did not contact me and because I work 12-16 hour days which do not revolve around the hours they are open for calls it took me about a month and a half to call back, I'm sure everyone can relate to time getting away from you.

I called and they denied a new claim because I waited too long to call back, basically saying I wasted my money on this warranty. It is a real shame that they cannot stand behind their "Promise" and honor a claim that should be valid since I paid the money for the warranty no matter how long it took me to call back. I am extremely disappointed and do not recommend anyone purchase this warranty, you could buy a little green machine To clean your own furniture since that is all they will do for you apparently. If I could rate this zero stars I would, it's a complete waste of money and a terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I went to Value City looking for bedroom furniture. The salesman named Marvin assisted me. I had planned to buy the furniture that day using cash. Marvin told me about a promotion they had going on that I could purchase furniture that day and would a year to pay for the furniture in full before being charged any interest. He also mentioned that I didn't have to make any monthly payment and if I chose to skip a month or months I could do so without penalty. Well I found out that Marvin tells lies to get a sale and to get potential customers to sign up for one of their credit cards. I don't appreciate the games salespeople have.

When I called to ask him about what happened to me not having to make a payment if I chose not to, he all but called me a liar. I asked to speak to his manager Kareem and he too in so many words called me a liar. Well, I chose to return their furniture and go to another furniture store where my money is and I am respected and told the honest truth. I don't want to do business with merchants that I feel are untrustworthy... I will take my money and my business elsewhere... I recommend if anyone is considering purchasing from Value City they should really reconsidered. By the way this store is located on Route 40 Baltimore National Pike in Catonsville MD.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I purchased a 2 piece sectional in August of 2016 from Value City Furniture in Westland MI. I financed it. I also purchase the extended warranty. I called the warranty department over 2 months ago about a seat cushion cover and a pillow that needs to be replaced. They put in the claim and is now telling me that the store have to replace it.

I have called the store twice and they have responded to my claim. They keep telling me that they will check into it. No one is returning my call and the manager was rude when I call in regards to the material stripping on the sectional. He told me it looks like someone picked at it. I am still paying on this sectional. When I contact customer service they tell me they will contact the store and they haven't called me back either. In the meantime I am still paying for furniture that the store will not warranty and it's cheap quality and looks over a year old because of the peeling. At a lost because they won't handle their part of the bargain.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

My couch I bought that we rarely sit in collapsed when a visitor came. We bought it a year ago. The dresser shelf caved in and a dining chair broke. We are not heavy people and we rarely sit in the dining room. All the furniture we bought a year ago. Called the store and they said we should opt got a warranty.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My wife and I decided to use my VA loan to purchase our first home this past April. We didn't want to bring our apartment furniture so we decided to go to Value City to purchase some nice living room furniture. We went to the value city store in Pineville North Carolina and found a beautiful faux leather sectional we loved and decided to purchase it for 2,400 dollars roughly. After delivering the furniture everything was fine until around July when we noticed one day, that the upholstery was bubbling and separating from the sofa in the wedge piece. We called Value City and they sent a technician out to look at the sofa the next weekend.

The technician came and took photos and told us someone should be getting with us to set up a repair or to replace it within the next few days. Two weeks went by and nothing so we called the store to inquire about the status and were told they would have someone from the service warehouse call us the next day. Of course no one calls us back so we called once again and asked could someone please let us know what we could do about the sofa. The manager we talked to said she was going to call the warehouse and asked to put me on hold.

After being on hold for 10 minutes the call disconnected and when we tried to call back no one would answer. I decided to give them a few days to see if someone was really going to call back and after a week nothing. After being treated this way I decided to call the corporate office to file a complaint. The gentleman I spoke to assured me this was not acceptable and stated that he would look into this and either the store manager or regional manager would get back to me in a reasonable amount of time.

It has now been two weeks and still we have been ignored. My wife and I work very hard for the things we have and the money we spent on that sofa didn't come easy for us with a new baby and a new home. We were treated with total disregard and disrespect by everyone involved with the exception of the technician who came to our home to look at the sofa whom was very nice and professional. This has been a very disheartening experience for us and I will never purchase another thing from Value City. I wouldn't want another hard working family to have to go through what we have. We spent a lot of money for what we thought was quality furniture and now have nothing to show for it. My wife and I both agree that even if they had told us they weren't going to cover the repair that it would have been better than being completely ignored.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Purchased 2 leather reclining sofa and extended warranty. Sofa started peeling and cracking. Filed a claim and was denied. The reason for denial was it is not leather it is bonded leather. I was told that it is leather but warranty company still denied! The warranty from United clearly states cracking or peeling!

Updated on 09/02/2017: Purchased extended warranty that will not cover anything - Purchased bonded leather reclining sofas. They began to crack and peel. Filed claim with warranty and was denied. Continued to file and denied every time. Called Value City after seeing NBC special and was told "we will offer you a depreciated amount. We will send someone out to look at it." A month after the inspection I called and was told the damage had gone on too long. I explained that when it first happened I filed a claim with the warranty company about a year ago and they kept denying the claim. Still no coverage, the furniture peeled and continues to peel. Value City will not stand behind their furniture!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Worse store to buy in. Make sure when you go in to not to buy especially from Mark **. He will promise you warranty, charge you for it (and then charge is under something else) and then when you have complain, even not a year from when you buy, he will tell you that you don't have a warranty and he never told you you do and basically call you a liar. Stay away from this store. I am stuck now with damaged mattress that I paid over $2000. Don't buy from them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Value City Furniture (Acceptance Now) is the worst company I've ever dealt with. They have a "90 day same as cash program" which is an absolute joke. I purchased a sectional and chair for 1900 dollars. When my payment was due I offered 600 to pay towards my balance within the 90 day deal. They said that I could only pay the amount of 178.00 or a double payment. I was livid and still am. The salesman never explained the payment policy that way. He told me a bunch lies. Now they're saying I'll be paying 5000 dollars for furniture that's only worth 1900. That's bad business and I'll never refer friends, family nor enemies to this company. It's a total ripoff.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

This company is terrible! I purchased $7800.00 worth of furniture, a couch, loveseat, recliner, a mattress and box springs and an $800.00 bed frame that adjusts. The mattress was bad, it took me 1 month of not being able to walk when I woke up, and 4 phone calls to find out that I was able to trade it in for a new mattress. The living room furniture is leather and in under a year the brown wore off and it was orange on one cushion, there were orange spots everywhere because the color faded on the couch recliners and back cushions and the stuffing in the recliner was so flattened that you sank into it!

It has taken me 4 phone calls hearing "8-12 weeks" and a call to corporate 13 weeks later to find that they hang up on corporate also!!! I will NEVER buy from this company again, I will recommend on social network that nobody EVER buy from this company. I would like to add that corporate is very nice to deal with. HOWEVER it is just as frustrating when they have to put you on hold 5 or more times to get to the bottom of the situation!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I purchased a three piece leather living room suite from Value City Furniture a few years back. At that time I paid $400-500 dollars for "The Pure Promise" warranty. The furniture started pulling away at the seams. I called the company and submitted a claim. After several attempts find a time that I could be there during my work day they sent a technician to make the repairs/evaluate the problem. When he arrived he took several pictures, went to his car and got his sewing kit and came back in and repaired the recliner. He stated he didn't have enough of the thread to do the couch and loveseat and would order it and come back.

I asked him if he could repair one area that was really bad on the love seat, he said that would be a different claim but he would do it for $10.00 cash if I wanted him to. I paid him $10.00 to repair that area and left. I called after three weeks because I didn't hear anything back. They said that the claim had been declined due to "pet damage". You can clearly see in the pictures that the seams are pulling apart and the thread is loose and it is not from pets. My pets do not get on the furniture. I will never purchase furniture from Value City again or this so called "warranty" and if you are smart you will not either. A total waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I bought furniture for my whole house and was very satisfied until the legs on my dining room chairs broke. I called and scheduled to have them repaired twice each time the person did not have what was needed to repair them. My chairs are still broke and I lost 2 days of leave from work because they don't do Saturdays. I called a month ago and this time I was told I had to go through another company for warranty issues. I called the warranty company and I was told the warranty did not cover the wood on my wood chairs. My ottoman leg broke also, I was told the warranty did not cover the plastic leg. I went to Lowe's and purchased a wooden leg for about $9, even though it doesn't match and I paid $34.99 for the warranty. Why sell warranties from a company that does not honor.

Original review: July 31, 2017

NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM VCF AND IF YOU DO DON'T EVERY OPT FOR PURE PROMISE EXTENDED WARRANTY. We purchased a 3-seater sofa and a love seat from VCF a couple of years ago and since it was light colored fabric the sales associate, in the most convincing tone asked us to buy the Pure Promise extended warranty (the store tried to sell the warranty on everything that we bought). What they did not tell us was that this warranty came with its own sets of riders.

About a month ago we started to notice disfiguration of the frame and loss of resilience in the cushions, so much so that the sofa is becoming uncomfortable to sit on anymore. I called the warranty company to file a claim and after taking all the details I was told that the claim cannot be processed since I did not get back to them within 10 DAYS of noticing the problem. One buys extended warranty for peace of mind and not to get hassled and rejected when you really need it. I would never buy from and recommend VCF and Pure Promise to anyone. They rob you of your hard earned money by selling absolute pathetic and poor quality furniture and a warranty that is equally useless.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Absolutely horrible experience. Do not recommend purchasing from this place. For the life of me I cannot understand how sales people still resort to flat out lying, deception and old fashioned bait and switch. To make a long story short, they refused to honor the price marked on the merchandise, claiming the "stock guy" marked it wrong. Then one of the managers sold me on some items he said were worth a certain amount. When I went to pick it up they tried to give me items worth $800 less than what I was told l was getting. After calling them out on it, they had the nerve to make it seem like I was wrong because I was still getting a good deal. I just wanted what I was told I was getting. I dealt with a total of three different managers (or so they claimed they were managers) and honestly got the impression none of them really cared that I was lied to, and that they tried to trick me.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have 1 couch and it cost $699.57. I paid $458.00 and now they tell me that since I'm out of my window, so now they are taking half my payment, talking about now it's considered rental. But they told me that it was an appr of 455... not 45% a month. So now they are saying I owe $417 more dollars in which I should only owe $241.57. This was from the Value City on 33377 Van Dyke Ave., Sterling Heights, MI 48312. If you are smart you will not use their services. It's a ripoff.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We bought sectional a year ago and noticed little damage on fabric. Called Value City Furniture and they send technician who took pictures. Couple days after they give me phone number of warranty company telling me that since I purchased extra protection they will be able to help me. They send their technician who took pictures and told me that he is going to order fabric and come back to fix it. Instead of having someone to fix it I received letter saying that fabric failure is not covered under warranty. It is manufacture failure and no one is responsible for it. I will never buy anything from VCF.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I purchased a living room set that was too large for the room. When I went to address exchange it, at that time and only that time, was I informed of $280 restocking fee. The manager told me I should have asked about it and to read my receipt. The manager also told me they can't go over all policy and return information. Not the answer I was was expecting. Money wasted for me.

Original review: July 5, 2017

This is to let everyone know not to shop at Value City Furniture. I bought a sectional and recliner in November of 2016 and still can't get them to replace or refund my money. Called the bank and filed a dispute and that has got me nowhere. This furniture was 6 weeks old. It's a joke!!!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I buy all my house furniture from them before 2.5 years and before one year, one of the bed broken, I go to Gurnee store 4 times and they told me that they will contact me to solve the problem and they not. After 8 months they give me a solution, guess what they give me. 90 dollars to fix my broken bed and that's it!!! I told you they are liars and thieves.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I brought a table and chairs and got home, no screws. Called back and let them know thinking I can go get them the next day, but no it took them a whole week, then get the screws home. Not the screws for the chairs at all. Not the size or nothing so they just gave me anything and it took them a week to give me the wrong stuff, so called again. Was told they going to call me when they have them ready for me to pick up, still not screws and no call. Just won't buy nothing from them again.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I ordered a bedroom set at the end of April or beginning of May 2017. Their computer wouldn't print out the documents, therefore I was informed someone will call me (have yet to receive that call). I received a letter stating my account was approved through Fortiva. I started making payments. My pickup date was 5/25/17. My husband went to pick up the merchandise, and he was told they never ordered it because I didn't sign the application. I went to the store, they told me the same thing, then they called Fortiva. Fortiva informed them that payments were made and why was the application sent if the customer never signed it. There was no explanation, no apology, NOTHING. She gave me my refund and told me Corporate would send the rest. Now that leaves my daughter without a graduation present. I'm really Surprised at VCF and let down.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Purchased what was described as leather sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman. I was highly recommended that I purchase the warranty and I did. I also used the protector on the chairs. When the chairs began to peel, I contacted the warranty company to find out my chairs were not leather. I then went back to the Value City store in Newport News, VA to be told there was nothing they could do. My next complaint was a refund of my funds for the warranty that was not applicable to my purchase and I conceded. My once beautiful chairs are truly embarrassing.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I purchased a sectional sofa from Value City Furniture located in Alexandria Virginia. After having the furniture for several weeks I noticed whelps, rashes, swelling, itching, and sneezing after sitting on the sofa. In reviewing the sofa Construction materials I noticed it contained 90% of polyurethane foam. Polyurethane foam can cause cancer and from breathing in the fumes within the material.

I contacted Value City Furniture for a refund, and instead they tried to send me a duplicate replacement sofa. After refusing the duplicate replacement sofa, and returning the original sofa to Value City Furniture, I have been trying to get a refund on my Discover card but almost $3000. I have been unsuccessful in working with Value City Furniture and with Discover card. Beware of Value City, and by all means do not use Discover card for any of your financial dealings. If you visit the web page of the consumer financial protection bureau you will find hundreds and hundreds of complaints regarding Discover card. Buyer beware.

Value City Furniture Company Information

Value City
    www.valuecityfurniture.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use