3.10/5
Based on 4,008 ratings submitted in the last year

6200 Sears Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Been without refrigerator for 3 weeks now and I have a warranty from Sears, they still have not come out, they are in terrible trouble with customers. Don't buy from them. They just don't care, wish I had of purchased the Samsung.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I noticed in my email confirmation that my order was being sent to an old address. I called right away. After three different departments and over 40 minutes on the phone I’m told that the delivery address cannot be changed. Again I went back and deleted the old address. It comes back. People answering phones are hard to understand clearly. Very bad experience as my order is going across the country to a stranger's house. Oh I was given the choice to drive for five hours to an actual store.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

It took 7 days to come out for a 4 year old $2500 Kenmore refrigerator which had a recall because of a bad LG compressor. Seven days as far as I'm concerned is not an acceptable time for a repair for a refrigerator repair they sold me that is having a recall problem. We lost all of the freezer food and 95% of the food in the refrigerator. We are keeping necessary daily foods in a Coleman cooler costing us a trip to the store daily for a $4.00 bag of ice. The service person had a replacement compressor on the truck and said he would be able to fix it. He worked on it for 5 hours and said that he thinks either the solder he is using is wrong or he does not have enough gas for his torch to heat the solder properly but it should work. He left saying it will take 24 hours to get cold and said no charge for recalled compressor but charged me over $200 for labor.

I questioned why there is any charge on a recall repair replacement and he said it is a Sears policy. The next morning the refrigerator was still not working. I called Sears and nobody cared during the first call that I already waited a week for service and they were out the day before and the fridge is still not working and it will take another week for them to come out at which point the call got disconnected. I called back and the person said they have me in the system for a diagnostic service call in another week. I explained to her what happened and she did try to get someone out sooner but was unsuccessful. So right now I am waiting for them to come out next week.

I have called our normal repair serviceman to see if he was able to come out sooner explaining to him that I called Sears because it was a recall problem and repairs need to be made thru them to honor recall. He will try to come out before Sears does to see if he is able to undo whatever was done but there is a good chance that if the solder was done improperly and then running the system overnight the refrigerator may have been ruined and will not be able to be repaired. During the service call I was told that I can save half the cost of the service call if I sign up for a home warranty service, which I did. Once this nightmare is over I will call them to cancel whatever useless service I signed up for and refund any money I already paid them.

I am already looking at buying a new refrigerator because I'm pretty sure this one will not be repaired. I am sure Sears had done many correct repairs but searching the reviews I found hundreds of similar complaints. Like the stores their appliance repair division has gone downhill and it is only a matter of time before the Sears brand is only a memory from the past. I for one will never shop there again. I am being very generous giving them a One Star review and wishing anybody good luck with any service they perform for you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Service tech showed up to diagnose broken ice maker for $105. Unplugged fridge. Waited 30 seconds. Plugged in fridge. Waited 3 minutes. Said I needed a new ice maker for $400. Said you can't get separate parts-you have to replace the whole unit. Left in less than 10 minutes. That's a rate of over $1000/hour. I went online. You CAN buy parts of the ice maker. So he lied. I went looking around the fridge. In less than 10 minutes I found two broken wires near where they feed into the bottom of freezer door. I looked online. It turns out my fridge failure was a COMMON failure.... Why does a $1000/hour guy not find a common problem. Never again. Don't throw your money away on Sears Home Services.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Purchased and paid for a ProForm by NordicTrack Treadmill online May 8, 2019 ($400). They could not deliver the product until May 22, 2019. Product has 90 warranty. On Saturday Aug 10 (91 days after purchase but 77 days after delivery), it went dead. Called Sears and was forwarded to NordicTrack service (Ha! what a joke). They cut me short and offered a service call for $169. Called Sears and they said there is nothing that can be done for me. VERY UNFAIR!. Don't make the mistake of buying anything from Sears that may need service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

The majority of the reviews for this refrigerator, on both sears.com and other sites were pretty good. However, there are a few reports of problems with the freezer not cooling properly. Unfortunately and unknowingly, I received one of the bad ones. I paid for setup of the new product, it was delivered, installed and plugged in. The refrigerator immediately started cooling, but the flex zone and freezer did not. After 6-7 hours, the refrigerator was registering 37 degrees, while the freezer was reporting a temperature in the 70's (while being set at 0) and the flex zone was warm (there is no reading for it). I called Samsung, was bounced around a few departments and finally told to "reset" the unit, that it possibly might be in "demo" mode. If it didn't start cooling in the next few hours, call back and let them know.

After 3-4 more hours, it wasn't any cooler, so I called back, was bounced around to a few people, no one seeming to know what to do, and finally escalated to a manager, who told me to call Sears since it was delivered that day. Approximately 1.5 hours wasted with Samsung. At this point, things went from bad to worse. I spent the next 1.5 hours being bounced around inside Sears with no one seeming to know what to do. I'd be transferred no less than 6 times over that 1.5 hours, usually on hold 10-15 minutes before speaking to an agent who would transfer me again. Sometimes I would be transferred back to a department I was just transferred from.

My last transfer (to a live agent) of the evening was to another department, and by this time I was quite frustrated, I explained as calmly as I could what had happened, how I had been bounced around, and how I just wanted to get someone out to fix the new refrigerator or replace it as soon as possible. I was transferred again, this time to a voicemail box that said "We are now closed, please call back tomorrow" and the line went dead. I just gave up for the night because by this time I'd spent over 3 hours on the phone with Samsung and Sears that day. That evening, being beyond fed up, I started wiggling various cables I could find. At one point, after wiggling a cable, the display started blinking and refrigerator started beeping. After 5-10 seconds of this, it stopped, and over the next few hours, the freezer began to cool. This did not instill a lot of confidence in me in this product.

By the time I went to bed, the freezer was registering that the temperature has reached 0. The freezer felt cold, but I had read some reviews of this happening to other customers with the "freezer" issues. Some reported the freezer was reporting 0, but after putting frozen food into the freezer the food started thawing and eventually went bad. The next morning I called back, spoke to an agent, explained what had happened the day before and that I would like to replace the refrigerator because this one obviously was faulty. He was very understanding, said that would not be a problem because it had only been 24 hours since delivery. He said it would be another week before delivery, to which I asked this to be escalated and a "rush" put on it. He said he would note that and I should receive a call within 24 hours.

And due to the issues, I would be issued a 5% refund of the purchase price due to the issues I had had. That was nice. However, no refund yet... It's been a week, the delivery date is supposed to be tomorrow, and I've still not heard from anyone. I called Sears again, spoke to someone who really could not help me, so I asked to be transferred to a manager. The manager apologized, I voiced my frustration with the entire process and how poor communication has been. She promised to escalate to the delivery department to try to get an update. A little while later I received a call from the delivery department (because I could not be transferred for some reason). The person I spoke to had NO IDEA they were supposed to be delivering a new refrigerator! The only notes they had were they were picking up the new, not quite working right one, that had been delivered last week.

And of course, they could not see into the system so I had to call back support to resolve. I was on the phone, on hold, for almost 30 minutes…again trying to get this resolved and figure out when the replacement refrigerator is coming. After a total of 45 minutes on the phone, Sears insists it is being delivered tomorrow. I don't know who to believe. The next day I receive a call from the delivery company and guess what, they only have an order to pick up the faulty refrigerator. I ask them not to come and that I will call Sears to resolve. I spent the next few hours on the phone talking with Sears. Finally, someone says, "oh, I see there is a note that we can't replace the refrigerator, we can only pick it up the old one. We no longer ship that unit." What? I escalate, see that this item is still being sold online, the price has increased $700 from what I paid, and that you can only do store pickup, but I can get one in 2 days from my local Sears.

I ask them to figure out a way to get me a replacement. They come back and say there is no way to do that. I ask to escalate again and I'm flat out refused. I'm told they are the highest level of escalation in support. I looked up the CEO's number and email, called and sent email. I received an email back that said "We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our members to experience. We have received your request for Order # **, we request you to contact Delivery team at 800-732-7747 so that they can assist you further." That's the same department I had been dealing with! Useless.

That evening and the next morning I receive more than 6 calls from an automated system saying my delivery has been rescheduled and to call Sears. I do, they are trying to pick up the old unit and not do anything about replacing the faulty one. They said they will refund me, and I can buy a new one for $700 more (the same refrigerator), and go pick it up at the store. I don't know if this is about money, system errors, poor management, but Sears does not stand by their products. It seems they change processes mid-purchase and don't tell you about them and you pay the price.

This is not customer service, it's nothing but hours and hours wasted and complete and utter frustration. I will not be purchasing from Sears again. In summary, AVOID ordering from sears.com at all costs if you can! But if you do, hope there isn't a problem with your product because no one seems to know what to do or how to replace the broken product. There is no concern for any inconveniences you might experience either.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I had a central AC unit installed July 25, 2018 and I began to have problems with the thermostat on July 24, 2019. I thought it was the battery so I replaced them and in two days the display on the thermostat again read 'replace' which I did twice thinking it was the type of battery. I contacted Sears AC service dept on July 30, 2019 and was first told my one year warranty had expired five days before and they would seek approval from the manager and contact me back. No one contacted me, so I called back a week later and in one day was transferred and spoke with five different people. I finally reached the correct dept only to find out I would have to pay for the service because now the warranty is expired and they cannot come out for another week. So I'm stuck changing the batteries every two days if I want the AC unit to operate. I'm still researching how to reach and file a formal complaint with Sears.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I have a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator. It is 4 years old. I have a warranty for 5 years. The compressor broke. I said I needed emergency service. They could only come 2 days later. They attempted to fix it. The next day it was not working. I had to wait another 4 days for the next technician. He had to replace the compressor again. There was also a leak in a valve. I was not impressed with the service. They take too long to give you service and take too long to answer the phone. The technician told me that this model of the fridge is really bad. I have lost confidence in the Sears products and I did not have a good experience with the service.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I purchased a brand new complete central air unit on January 31, 2018. By July 27, 2019 I was already having problems. So I called the warranty department. They told me that I had not purchased a warranty with my unit so I had to submit proof that I had purchased the warranty. After I had submitted the proof they told me it would be two weeks before they can get a tech out to my house To service my unit.

Now keep in mind that late July and early August are the hottest months in Missouri and I have an 80-year-old mother, a two-year-old child, a four-year-old child, a 10-year-old child, a 12-year-old child, my wife and myself living in a 3700 square-foot home. I told them of this so they decided they would patch me through to the emergency department then the emergency department proceeded to tell me that I had not purchased a warranty for my unit and quickly rerouted my phone call back to where I started at the beginning. So at this point in time I had been on the phone for an hour and a half just trying to get someone to service my unit in a timely fashion.

So once again I was passed through four different times to four different people and then once again they decided it was an emergency and they were going to patch me through to the emergency department. This time the emergency department recognize that I did have a warranty so they proceeded to tell me they were going to have a conference call and decide if it was a true emergency. So after waiting 35 minutes the lady come back on the line and proceeded to tell me she could not get a hold of them and that I would get a call back within 24 hours. So needless to say 48 hours later I still had not received a call from them. So I decided to reach out to my own technician. Luckily he was certified to do their warranty work along with many other dealers. And guess what. He was there the very next day and proceeded to tell me that he deals with several major companies and Sears is by far the worst. Now why couldn’t Sears warranty department reach out to him being that his Business is less than 10 minutes from my house .

Normally I do not give bad reviews about any company being that I am a customer service expert myself but where I work if I was to perform my job like this I would not have a job. Bottom line save yourself some trouble. Do not do business with Sears for anything whether you are buying a refrigerator, gutters, windows, central air unit. It doesn’t matter. Their word is no good. They do not stand behind their products. They look for loopholes to jump through after the point of sale as far as I’m concerned so save yourself the headache and go elsewhere.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I purchased a Apple watch July 17th from Sears in hopes that I found a wonderful Deal with a trusted brand. Boy was I wrong. I never got a confirmation email. I requested one and customer service via Twitter said they would send it again. Never came. They did give me a tracking number however, The tracking number said my watch would be delivered 07/24/19. The tracking never moved though. It consistently said that the label had been created. The 24th came and went my watch did not come. Once more I contacted Customer service via Twitter. I did this because I had read that trying to reach customer service was a nightmare. They then told me to wait to see if it came that night. I got upset and asked how when it has not moved at all? They said they would look into it. Nothing came of it.

Again a day or so later I asked what was up. They told me they would contact the dealer that they get the watches from and for me to wait 24/72 hours to hear back. I waited and after not hearing from them again I asked again a day later. I was furious. No help came to me. They wanted me to just wait to see what would happen. They again said wait 24 hours and if it's not to me by 07/29/19 then they would try to do more. I finally gave up and opened a dispute via PayPal. Sure enough PayPal was able to refund my money! Sears is a big scam with customer service agents who just want you to "wait" after you spend hundreds of dollars and are waiting for days after the "scheduled delivery date". DO not order from this company!

Sears Company Information