Sears

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have been Sears customers for many years with no problems, however, something has changed drastically over the past year! We have been waiting to get 2 lawn tractors fixed for months and have at least 6 changes as to when we will get serviced! The first appointment was made, then cancelled, 2nd appointment cancelled... It is now the 7th appointment and someone finally shows up with the parts for the other mower that they said we needed to make a different appointment for!!

I have lost count on how many recorded calls we have received about changing appointments! I had 3 different times on getting my dishwasher serviced, called me at 7:30 this morning and said someone was on the way, then called me at noon to say he would arrive between 10 and 1 today. 3rd call said he will be there at 1:00! I called the number they left on the message, but I could not understand the person on the other end, she did not speak English very well. So I get a call from the service man himself telling me he was on the way! This company is INSANE!!!

We ordered an HVAC system weeks ago from Sears by Peter **. This man said yes to all our questions. Shook my husband's hand agreeing that Sears would take care of any additional charges if needed. Had a man come out who actually would install our $26,000 system stating that it would be impossible to get the job done & it would cost an extra $8,000. Naturally Peter ** isn't returning our phone calls & our check has been cashed weeks ago. We're still sitting with no HVAC & no one in the company will help us.

When making my online purchase of a Maytag Dishwasher (Through Google Ads) you are given the option when completing the order for Free Pickup or pay $90 or so for "Local / Standard Delivery"... It is a VERY SPECIFIC set of words and option... When you go to the shipping terms under "What is included with my Local / Standard Delivery" it clearly states your paying for removal of your old item, basic hook up of your new item and hauling away all the trash and testing the unit. Once you complete the order the line item changes from Local / Standard Delivery to just "Delivery" which I did not pay much attention to until they just dropped the unit off and left it at my elderly mother's house. The Delivery guy said they run into confusion over this issue "All The Time".

When you call Sears customer service you cannot be connected with anyone in North America which would be fine but the people that try to help you are hard to understand and they stick to a script that does not include helping with installation or with your concern over the misleading info that got me into this situation to begin with. Any manager would see what I see and realize there's an issue if you could actually get someone to help. Twice they tried to sell me on Sears Points in the middle of trying to get this solved. I was able to finally schedule a pick up to have the unit returned which I so sad and what a nightmare this was to solve... If you call having the unit returned problem solved.

Terrible customer service at Sears.com. The Sears.com customer service representatives (on multiple occasions) repeatedly provided incorrect or false information regarding a recent appliance purchase, failed to accept any responsibility for what turned out to be mistakes on their part, and took no steps to correct the situation.

I initially contacted customer service when I checked (online) the status of my 4-appliance order, only to find that one of the items indicated that the delivery for that item had been canceled. (I had never been informed of the cancellation; according to the customer service representative, it is standard operating procedure to not inform customers of canceled deliveries. Really?!) During an approximately 30-minute exchange, the customer service representative assured me that the order had not been cancelled and that the delivery was listed as cancelled because an installer would be performing the installation, and thus it was not considered a delivery. Even when I questioned this--and questioned why a second appliance, which was due to be installed at the same time, was not showing as cancelled--she assured me that all was well and that my two appliances would indeed be installed as scheduled. That turned out to not be true.

When I again contacted customer service, I was ultimately told that the order for that particular item had never gone through due to a problem with my credit card. A subsequent investigation on my part indicated that this was not the case; there was no problem with the credit card (no credit limitation issue, no fraud alert...); in fact, the order had apparently never been placed for that particular appliance!

During a subsequent exchange with another representative, after having re-ordered the appliance through a local Sears store (after the previous customer service representative refused to give me the telephone number for that store!)--which, unfortunately, had placed the order through Sears.com--I again received incorrect information about my order (including that it had been canceled). Apparently, this order had not been put through (by Sears personnel) yet again!

Throughout all of these exchanges, the customer service representatives took no responsibility (on behalf of Sears) and took no steps to correct the situation or to accommodate me, as a customer, in any way whatsoever. Further exacerbating the problem, on all occasions it took the customer service representatives an unreasonably long time to locate my order, despite the fact that I had provided not only the order number but the sales check number, my name, date of purchase, etc. After such an ordeal of misinformation (whether deliberate, because of systemic incompetency, or some other reason), I cannot possibly bring myself to order from this company again.

I own a Kenmore refrigerator purchased at Sears and I also carry their maintenance plan. On June 2nd, my refrigerator stopped working for the 2nd time in about a week. The first time we were able to unplug and restart which worked for about a week. I called Sears and arranged for a someone to come and repair, but was told no one could come until June 8th, which I thought was ridiculous.

On June 8th, I got a call from the "repair" man asking if something was wrong with the refrigerator??? It turns out that the scheduler I spoke with set up a "maintenance" appointment rather than a "repair" appointment although I told him repeatedly that the refrigerator was not working and need to be repaired. He said he would try to get a "repair" person out there that day. A bit later, I received an email saying they had set up an appointment for June 21st. So they were offering me a date 19 days after I reported my refrigerator out of service. I called and spoke to a "supervisor" who moved it up to June 19th. I simply do not understand how they can even refer to this a "service" at all and find it totally unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

May 22, 2017, I purchased a Kenmore Elite washer and dryer from Grass Valley, CA Sears with delivery date May 25. Sears delivery later canceled and rescheduled for June 2. We waited for delivery. No one called to explain why they didn't show up. When I tried to find out why "they'd lost the washer." When I could reach a manager, I was never able to reach the same person again. "Our managers are always very busy." The following Monday, I was told the washer had been delivered. It hadn't. Several calls later it was decided the washer was still missing. I was rescheduled for the next available date, June 16th. June 8, late in the evening I received a call that had me scheduled for the next morning, June 9. I wanted verification since this was the third attempt to deliver the washer and dryer.

I had an appointment in another town I cancelled and stayed home because I was scheduled for the first delivery between 9:45 and 11:45. At 12:30 began calling. Three times I was told the delivery team was on its way. They were running late. The third time I was told to call (530) 244 5781, the direct # of the delivery team. The number answered, said they'd never picked up the machine and it wouldn't be delivered that day. I called Sears delivery again and was told to call another number. That number was disconnected. I've been rescheduled this time for the 16th. I have no problem with the Grass Valley store, only the delivery team. This is stressful and inconvenient. Much wasted time off work and on the phone. I will not buy from Sears again.

Bought Craftsman slippers online. While the slippers looked great just over a month after I received them, the front stitching fell apart because it had not been sewn properly. I went to my local store, the store manager said to contact Craftsman who would send a gift voucher. The Craftsman site sent me to a Sears chat which told me it was under warranty and to call a 800 number. That number gave me another number who then transferred me to yet another number who then told me that it was outside the 30 day return window and so they could do nothing. Over two hours of my time to tell me they could do nothing!

Have master agreement with Sears on three appliances for 10 years. Had to wait a 13 days for appointment to get a dryer fixed. After taking the day off (8-5) time range they called at 1:00 to say the technician wasn't coming, they were very sorry, and they rescheduled me for another 11 day wait. They were really sorry... not as sorry as I am that I paid a lot of money for a master agreement and have to wait 4 weeks to get the appliance repaired. Will never pay for an agreement again from Sears.

Just received a letter that my Sears Mastercard credit limit would be reduced from $11,200 to $2000 because of 17 months of inactivity. I just purchased a washer /dryer from Sears and over the past few years I purchased a mattress, refrigerator, lawn mower and snowblower. I always choose Sears for my appliances and home products but now I don't know if I will shop there again. And one wonders why Sears and Kmart and closing stores. This is no way to treat a loyal customer.

I had signed up for Sears warranty program in August 2016. I paid $59.99 every month. I called in February for fan and toilet repair. They came out in February and the problem was not fixed. I kept calling them to come out and fix. Sears kept saying, "We will send someone. The contractor will call you." I called at least 4-5 times to make appointment. No phone calls from contractor or Sears. I cancelled the account in March but they still charged me for March. I requested refund for February and March because I have called for repair but never received service. They did not refund me. They took my $480 and provided me no service. They are not able to handle this and should not be in business. Very unhappy and frustrated.

I scheduled a week in advance to have my garage door fixed. They called to confirm the day before and they gave me a window of 11am to 3pm for the next day. I did speak with someone who DID confirm 11a-3p. Today no one called no one showed. I called their number back at 2pm to make sure someone was coming and the woman I spoke with (Melanie) was rude and said they still had another hour. Didn't even bother to make sure the appt. was on their books. So when 3:07pm rolled around I called again. This time she said she would page the tech but was very short with me. This is the worst experience I have had with this company and I will not be doing any business with them again. 1 person called me back to say I didn't confirm the appt today. I am done with Sears, I will not buy any products or services from them.

On May 21 I purchased a refrigerator, washer, dryer, and vacuum cleaner for my Illinois home at the Thornton, Colorado location. It was all to be delivered on June 6. On June 6 at 6:00 am we were woken by the telephone ringing; it was Sears delivery in Romeoville, Illinois to let us know they did not have our refrigerator so were not going to deliver anything today. Well, we're going out next week! No fridge? No washer and dryer? No Vacuum? I got on the phone and after 6 1/2 hours still did not know when or if I could get a refrigerator so was forced to cancel the entire order.

I was lucky enough to find the same fridge and a nicer washer and dryer locally and they will deliver on Tuesday, one week from now. Only thing is we'll be there on Sunday, June 11, and won't have a fridge for two days and now we have to spend an entire day of our short vacation dealing with delivery men. This is not right and we were treated very badly. Sears really screwed us over and after shopping with them for our appliances, tools, and lawn and garden tools for forty years, we will never shop with them again. We were going to buy a second fridge this summer for our Colorado house! Not now. They've lost a very good customer.

Purchased a refrigerator from Sears Appliance Showroom on Monday, May 29th and after being told I could not pick one up at store since there was none available and it would take till the following week, I selected delivery and was told it would be delivered on Sat. June 3rd. On Friday evening was informed that my delivery would be here on Sat between 2 and 4 pm. At 9:46 am on Sat was left a message that the refrigerator isn't on the truck and would be rescheduled for Wed., thru or Sat of next week. When I returned the call I could not believe how rude and ignorant the rep was and when asked to speak to her supervisor simply put me on hold to get me off the phone.

I then called the store where I purchased the item and was told there was nothing they could do about it and hey there is one in the stockroom brand new do I want to pick it up? Couldn’t believe he just said that when that is what I wanted to do on Monday instead of going almost a week without a fridge. Apparently it was there at the store the whole time. No “sorry about this”, no refunds issued, nothing. Worst customer service. I had intended on purchasing a dishwasher and microwave but that is definitely not happening now. Don’t know when my purchase will ever be delivered!! Don’t buy anything you need delivered!!!

THE WASHER IS CONSIDERED THE NEW THING. 2017 MODEL GUD27GSSJWW PURCHASED AT SEARS. I complained from the first day of the noise from the washing machine. It is so loud everyone knows in my condo who is washing. This is not normal. However they say this is new technology. I say it is a mistake, the manufacturer does not want to fix.

I ordered 2 washer parts from Sears, at a higher price than other online vendors, because I trusted the Sears brand name and assumed the higher price was worth it for better service. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE. Sears sent me 2 parts, but one was the WRONG part. Customer service was RUDE and INCOMPETENT. They now tell me the part is on back-order for 2 weeks. I shouldn't be able to buy overnight delivery if the part isn't available for 2 weeks!! I ordered the exact same part from Amazon, for half the cost, and next day delivery. Goodbye, Sears.

It's obvious why Sears, a former pioneer in quality appliances, is closing stores at such a rapid pace. Now even their service programs, such as their Sears Home Warranty (appliances) service is basically a fraud. Do not waste your money on this service; it's a scam. I have been paying $42 a month for over two years for a "Sears Home Warranty" kitchen appliance warranty plan where they advertise that they will repair or replace the appliance. Yet when my six-months old washer started making noise, like a jet plane, during the spin cycle; the 'repair was not covered' and they wanted almost the full price of the washer to repair it! They would not replace the washer because it still 'worked'; we would have to grin and bear the noise.

A year ago, it took two service calls to get a less than $1.00 micro-switch replaced on my water dispenser; the tech actually tried to fix the $1.00 switch on the first visit! Now, two weeks ago the compressor of my $2,500 JennAir refrigerator went bad. The affiliated technician which Sears sent diagnosed it as unrepairable and recommended that the refrigerator be replaced, but someone in Sears back office decided to fix it. A week later, they sent the technician the compressor but he refused to install it because it is not a normal business process. Sears then handed my service call to another local affiliated technician who also refused it for the same reason.

Now, since their local affiliated techs won't fix it, Sears Home Warranty wants me to contact JennAir service directly and pay them for the repair out-of-my-pocket. They will then refund me up to $85 for the service call and will only cover $327 towards the parts and labor of the repair; the rest will be my problem. If the Jenn-Air service techs diagnose the refrigerator as unrepairable all that Sears Home Warranty will cover towards a new refrigerator will be $327 when I have paid them over $1,000 during the years that I have had the Sears Home Warranty plan.

$327 will barely cover the tax on a new refrigerator; where does the 'repair it or replace it' advertisement come into play! Net-Net; we have not had a refrigerator for 14 days in a household with four children ages 1-8 and a 92-year old senior. And all that Sears Home Warranty will do now is to give me JennAir's service number! Don't waste your money; stay away from this plan!

I am so upset with this "Sears Home Warranty" crap of service. I am really starting to believe that this is a scam to get people's hard earn money. I called this past Saturday to schedule for someone to come out here to take a look at my stove, dryer and fridge. I was giving a number for a company for me to call and set an appointment with. I called the company, spoke to a "technician," kept promising he would come by but never did. It is now Thursday and I have not heard from him. I decided to call Sears back to find out if they had other techs available. This is where I lost it. I kept getting transferred around & hung up on.

When I finally got a live person she insisted that there were 3 claims open and that someone from the same company I called would contact me. I told her that I did not want to deal with the same company because of their lack of keeping appointments and in the middle of my conversation I got hung up on! So I decided right then and there to cancel with Sears. I called back and I got the same treatment as before. Transferred here or call there.

This had been a very stressful day for me when you call somewhere and you have to speak with an automated system and can't get a live person to say, "Sure you need help? Let me help you" or "You would like to cancel? No problem." My last resort is to go to my bank and put a stop payment of which they take $50 out of my account every month and write a letter to them of an unsatisfied customer. I hope people read this before they agree to this service.

I called and made a service appointment. I received a confirmation. The day before I received a confirmation. Day of service receive a confirmation. My husband took off work to be there for the service man. I received an email my appointment was extended by an hour for the window time. I called, they placed me on hold. They told me that my appointment was terminated because their service man called out sick. I was willing to accommodate and told them that it would ok if another technician could come later into the day or night. They told me no. I told them we lost a days pay. They offered me a 20% discount and told me they can rescheduled me for June 5. I told them no one could take off work and that we already lost a days pay. I was told that all they could do.

The service rep was very rude... totally disregarding my situation which he turned around and made his situation. I asked to speak to a supervisor. While I was put on hold the original person was emailing me a confirmation for June 5 appointment which I never agreed to. They were not any help either. I called a Corporate office 800-820-3342. They were useless. They have no regard for their customers. If I didn't call my husband would have sat there and we were never notified. Such a shame that once was a good company has gone down the toilet.

Horrible customer service experience! The touchpad on my two year old electronic range failed to display the proper temperature for one of the elements. After contacting Sears I was given a claim number and the phone number for a local repair company. When the repairmen showed up at my house they were far from professional looking in their appearance and were not sure how to turn on the range. My husband told them to leave and he was not paying them the $60.00 deductible for their visit. I called the local repair service company and asked them to order the part and to please send other service technicians on the next visit. After three weeks went by and I never heard back from this company. I called them back to see about the installation of the replacement part. It wasn't in yet. When the part did come in it was not the correct part!

Next, another service technician came out to take a look at the range to order the correct part. However, the local service company could not find the correct part and required assistance from Sears. Once the part was identified the local service company had to place a request with Sears to order the part! This approval process apparently takes a great deal of time. I called the local service company to see if the part had come in and it had not.

I called two weeks after and was told that it just came in and they would send out a technician to fix it the next day. The service technician arrived and advised me he did not like the way one of the ribbon connectors on the new part looked and with my permission wanted to use the same part from the old part to use inside the new part. He assured me that the ribbon connector had nothing to do with the problem the range was experiencing so I told him to do what he thought best. I was not going to wait another month for another part that could have the same problem. It took three hours for the technician to replace the touchpad on the range.

Today I called Sears to cancel my warranty and was on hold for 21 minutes before I was sent to an automated customer service survey about my experience with the service rep (I never spoke with anyone!). I was then disconnected. I called back and was on hold for another 13 minutes before I finally reached someone who cancelled the warranty for me. Overall, this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Do yourself a favor and do not sign up for a Sears Home Appliance Warranty. No wonder Sears is going out of business.

I purchased 15-Inch 5.5A Electric Line Trimmer from Sears Home Store in Fayetteville, GA on July 1, 2016. It never worked. The line for cutting would not advance. I called your Customer Care Hotline on yesterday, May 31, 2017 and was advised to take the item to Sears in Southlake for repair or replacement. The person I spoke to was Anne and she stated the item was still under warranty. I drove several miles to Southlake and was told by an employee there that the item was not under warranty. According to page 2 of the Operator's Manual the warranty is for 2 years.

While at Sears Southlake I called Customer Care and was transferred numerous times; no help. I called Sears Corporate and talked to a representative there for 32 minutes; she then advised me to call another department. One employee disconnected the call while I was talking. Finally, after 2 hours someone at Sears Corporate told me the item was not under warranty. How does Sears expect to remain in business with such poor customer service? I might order parts from Sears but I doubt if I will ever purchase anything from Sears again.

Never never never buy any appliances from Sears!!! Called Sears repair to repair 11 month old Sears Kenmore Elite French door refrigerator on 5-23 because refrigerator nor freezer working. I was told they could not come until 5-30 even for an emergency like a refrigerator. After trying to talk with someone numerous times who could expedite the repair realized They really didn't care that we had no refrigerator. They were to come 5-30 from 1-5pm. Waited until 6 pm and called. Their response was that they weren't coming and they would try to come on 5-31 1-5 pm. Again waited - never showed and when we checked said rescheduled to 6-7. No Refrigerator for two weeks!!! If they come on 6-7. Never have we had such terrible service. The refrigerator was top of the line. I would NEVER buy anything else from Sears!

We bought a mattress in March. A little more than a week before the sixty day warranty period was up, we called in to say the mattress would not work. We thought we would try and exchange and they gave us a case number. It took about 10 days to find time to go in to a store to check out an exchange, but we did go in. Checked out other mattresses and did not find one to work for our circumstances so we wanted to return it. When we called back they now said it was past the 60 days and would not take the return. Since we originally called in with the problem before the 60 days, that's when the clock should have stopped. No one told us we had to call AGAIN before the warranty period was up. Do not trust Sears as they do not honor their warranties. We will never buy from them again. There are too many other places that do honor their warranties.

I have been paying for the home warranty service from Sears for over 4 years. That is $43 a month. I have had my refrigerator repaired and had to wait a month but I thought that was because it was an expensive part. I called because my LG dishwasher is leaking and I'm told I have to wait over 2 weeks for an appointment and I have to pay a $75 deductible. At $43 a month I pay $516 a year for this service. I can buy a new dishwasher and have it installed faster and cheaper than I can get a service call from Sears. I could have called any local repair company and get faster service and not pay for a monthly home warranty. THIS HOME REPAIR WARRANTY IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. DO NOT GET SUCKED INTO THIS!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

I recently became a mother this year and as a gift, my mother purchased me a Sterling silver/diamond "mom" necklace that was priced originally at $149.99 & was on sale for $89.99 during the Mother's Day sale. Upon opening the box before even taking it out the chain ripped. It was the cheapest quality I had ever seen. I called Sears & went in the store and NO ONE helped me return it because we misplaced the receipt and didn't have a proof of purchase.

I finally got a hold of corporate and a rude customer service representative hung up on me in anger as I was speaking. I am completely appalled. The representatives truly lack respect. The necklace is also being sold in store and online but they refuse to fix it or exchange it for a new one even when I said I would provide pictures/videos or mail it to them for exchange of a non damaged one. $100 went down the drain. I was a customer of over 15 years and I will no longer be supporting Sears ever again and will be telling my family & friends too so they don't get treated horribly like I did.

We contacted Sears to do their annual service call under our Purchase Extended Warranty. We were told the tech would be here between 8am-5pm (May 3) so the whole day would be used for waiting on the tech. Sears did send an email morning of the scheduled appointment giving us a 2 hour window. Thank goodness we are retired and do not work! The tech came, looked over the treadmill and said he had to order three parts and scheduled another appointment 2 weeks later (May 17) between 8am-5pm to install the parts. The tech came, installed the parts and left never asking us to try the treadmill so we assumed he did. My husband started the treadmill shortly after the tech left and the incline went up and down without stopping and that was just from turning the machine on. Finally it stopped inclining so he got on and tried to change the speed. The machine made a loud noise and abruptly stopped almost throwing my husband who is 80 years old.

Everything shut down, it did not even have electric going in it. We called Sears again. They scheduled another appointment 7am-5pm. The tech came and looked at it and said he needed to order all the parts again plus another part and it would take 2 weeks and scheduled another appointment for June 7 for 8am-5pm. The tech said he tried the treadmill before he left and it worked perfect. I have trouble understanding that because as soon as we turned it on it wasn't working correctly. It is sad that all we needed was the annual check up on a working machine that now doesn't work. The Customer Service is awful. Every time I called the first call is strangely disconnected and I need to call back. I will say Customer Service Rep. Linda was very compassionate but could do anything. We are now at the mercy of Sears and the Tech.

I am so disgusted and disappointed in Sears. I not only will not be shopping there I am sharing my experience with all acquaintances. The tech always gave a receipt when he was leaving, however, the last time he said his computer was down and could not print one. I have contacted Sears 3 different times and still no receipt for the last visit! We were told when we purchased the extended warranty that if the tech could not fix the product we would get a new upgraded model. Come to find out that is not the case. Totally disgusted with Sears. At one time Sears was a reliable company. Not any more!

Our 5 year old water heater we bought from Sears started leaking. When I called they said it had a 12 year warranty if it had to be replaced, but they couldn't get someone there to look at it for 2 weeks. I told them this was unacceptable to go without hot water for 2 weeks. They didn't care. I told them I would just call a plumber in our area, and they said the warranty would only cover a Sears technician. Such a scummy way for Sears to try to get out of a warranty! It gets worse.

I called and had a local plumber fix it the next day - just replaced a part. When I called Sears back to get a copy of our warranty, I talked to at least 7 people in different departments and they all said there was no record of a warranty. I finally found it in our owner's manual. We do have a 10 year warranty that not only covers replacement, but repair! This company and the people working there are scumbags! They will obviously go to great lengths to get out of upholding their end of a warranty. No wonder they are a sinking ship!

Wow, I'll never buy anything at Sears, Pacific View Mall, Ventura, Ca. again. They were supposed to deliver a new refrigerator between 7 to 9 this morning (in writing) then postponed it to noon to 2 (voicemail), then postponed it to Saturday without notice (recorded phone msg), then denied ever having said that and scheduled it to next Tuesday when no one is home. Now the latest online update says "Oops, there was a problem scheduling your delivery, please call blah blah blah." Now the better half has jumped into her car to do the 40 mile round trip to talk face to face with real people and demand a refund (that'll never happen).

Purchased two dresses on April 22. Went to return on May 15th. Store was closed. Closed at 7:00.I work until 6:00. Couldn't get there during the week. May 26th was first available day to get to store early. Would not give in store credit or let me return them due to them having a 30 day return item policy that I was unaware of them having. Never once did I ask for my money back, just the opportunity to exchange for another item. Cashier should have told me that when I purchased the item. Didn't see anything posted about return policy... This will be my last purchase in Sears or Kmart. Sorry. Store is struggling financially but customer service is not a priority, and could very well be the problem.

I have been taken aback today!!! Customer service at its worst. I have a Kenmore washer/dryer combo. The dryer element went out 3 weeks ago. On the day I called was told the technician would be out between 8 and 5 the following day. Got a call at noon that he had called in sick and they would have to reschedule for the next week. The next week technician showed up, replaced the thermostat and said he would have to order the heating element and be back the next week. New technician came out last week and took dryer completely apart. He replaced the heating element, told us he worked on these things every day, was a bad investment, and we needed to buy an extended warranty.

As he was trying to get the drum back in, he had to call another technician who instructed him that he would have to take the top off the unit and replace the drum that way. When I started the dryer the next morning it was making an unbalanced awful sound. I immediately called Sears and told the gentleman on the phone. He assured me I would have a technician at my door today between 8 and 5. WELL, at 3:00 something said to call. I did and the girl informed my technician was about 15 minutes away. At 4:45 I received a call from a technician that informed me that he would be unable to come service my dryer. I instantly received a text that it would be 6/5/2017 before someone would be here. I am BEYOND upset!!!

After a few phone calls and a few people I did not understand I called the local store. I did receive some uplifting news from a manager and a new American phone number. I called and spoke with a gentleman that once again confirmed the next available service date to be 6/5/2017. I informed him "That would not work, I needed it tomorrow." He put me on hold and came back to inform me he had requested for the next available service time to be mine 6/5/2017. I am DONE with Sears. I know this does not mean a lot to them, but where has the customer deserves service gone? My house almost caught on fire due to the error of their service technician! He replaced the drum incorrectly and the screws fell out. Come on, is this what we have come to? This machine is not even a year old!

Whole House Warranty and Appliance Repair - This pains me to say, because I grew up with Sears. Our house was (still is) filled with Kenmore Appliances, my car has a DieHard battery, my shop, like my father's, is full of Craftsman Tools. When I was a kid, the highlight of the year was the arrival of the Sears Christmas Catalogue. WTF happened to this once great company? We bought a new oven from Sears 5 years ago. It recently conked out. We called Sears Appliance Repairs (with whom we'd always had good luck and good service). A repair appt. was scheduled, with a 4-hour "window" for the repairman. The day came. I waited. No repairman. Toward the end of the day, I got a call. The repairman had called in sick. It happens. Appt. reset.

Again I waited. No repairman. When the day was over (and the "window" long closed) and an entire day utterly wasted, I got hold of Sears. They'd check. An hour later (i.e. another wasted hour), the repairman called. Seems things had run a bit long and, naturally, it was now too late to honor the appt. Appt. reset (they assured me that, having been "stiffed" twice, I was "guaranteed" a visit the next time). Once more, the appointed day came and I waited. And waited. And waited. With an hour and a half left in the day, I got a call, "the repairman is on his way." Oh, goody. And then I waited. And waited. AND finally, with less than 15 minutes left, the repairman showed up, plugged in his diagnostic machine, spent 5 minutes logging the result and told me he needed to order some parts and it will be another week (we've already been without an oven for almost two weeks, but what are you gonna do?).

So, an appt. is made a week hence. 3 days later, incidentally, the parts arrive at our house. And, finally, the day of the appt. arrives (in the meantime, I might note, as with all the other times, my "Inbox" is exploding with appt. confirmations, cautioning me to be there during the appointed "window", which, incidentally, is seldom consistently reported, and I am also the favored recipient of multiple computer generated calls reminding me of the appt.). And as before, I waited. And waited. And waited. This time, however, rather than give Sears the benefit of the doubt, the moment the "window" expired, I called Sears Home Service, where I was greeted by a robot which assured me that I could talk to it "just as tho' (it was) a person..." - what it didn't say was that I was talking to a very dimwitted person which only had one answer to every question and every phrasing thereof.

Finally I asked it to do something which was actually within its competence, namely that it "connect me to a representative". Then I found out why Sears felt it needed to hire a dimwitted robot... Seems the robot was the only one with any answers, even if it was always the same non-responsive one. Long story short, I was endlessly shuttled from one person to the next, with copious (COPIOUS) wait times listening to ghastly music between each representative, each of whom would oblige me to answer the same extensive series of questions over and over again, only to ultimately decide that I needed someone else to assist me (my only question, I might note, was "where's my serviceman", which, seemingly, is a very, very complex issue requiring not less than 6 different departments to handle).

Of course, the sheer number of different accents and native tongues (none of which, I might note, was English) did add some interest to the process, tho', by then, I was, perhaps too frustrated to fully appreciate it all. Finally, a nice lady (who sounded suspiciously like the first person I talked to - at least she was every bit as incomprehensible as that one) agreed to send an email to the people who were actually supposed to do the repair to find out where the serviceman was (yes, I know, that's kind of what I had asked originally). 30 minutes later (half of it spend on the phone waiting because the nice lady forgot to tell me that I didn't need to wait and that the service people would call me directly...), I got a call from the folks who actually do the repair work. Seems that I somehow didn't get on their schedule.

So sorry (maybe some of those helpful reminders which Sears kept sending me might have been more helpfully directed to the other essential party to the transaction). I'm set to try again a week from now. Anyone care to guess how that one's gonna turn out? Look, mistakes happen. I understand that. What I don't understand is institutional incompetence. That, as near as I can tell, is all that Sears has to offer anymore. Maybe it's time to change my brand loyalties.

Sears Company Profile