1.03/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5877 Sears Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator on October 7, 2018. From the very beginning the ice maker did not work. I called service and they came out, worked on it, it did not work. The service was out again in December. This has been ongoing and were supposed to be here today 1/15/2019 to repair the ice maker. After calling the service department they said they were not that all parts had not come in. No one called to notify me. They now say it will be 2/4/2019 before a serviceman will be here to repair my refrigerator. I am ready to have Sears pick up the refrigerator, refund my money and go elsewhere to get a refrigerator. This has been going on 4 months and I am tired of the hassle.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

LG range ignitor went out after 2 years. Tech charged me 70 for part & over 250 for service call. That is why they are going out of business scam artist now. What happened to Sears? They don't care about customers or how they are viewed.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Had my dishwasher repaired in July, cost $400 for a control board (parts and labor). 6 months later, the same thing happened. Called Sears, they would not honor their repair. Said it was over the 90 days. Wanted us to pay again for technician to come out and I contacted headquarters, they would not authorize someone to come out free of charge. Said I had to call and pay again. Will NEVER buy a Sears product again. No wonder company is going out of business. Good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This warranty is terrible. I have been without a dishwasher for 3 months. We are on our 4th repair technician. I've called them 6 times and been hung up on 3 times. Customer service has stated that their own repair guys are "worthless". At $1000 a year and $100 per service call you are better off burning your money and slapping yourself in the face, then going and buying a replacement appliance. This company is incompetent at best and predatory at worst.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought this plan for 69.99 a month for 1 Year "WHOLE HOUSE PLAN". It covers NOTHING. I have had it for 9 months they came out to do: Furnace maintenance: Took the front panel off put it back on and left. NOTHING else!!! NO filter, No cleaning, No setting the humidifier to winter, He was here 9 minutes. Plumbing: Charged me an 100.00 for someone to come and look (this is what they charge you every time for someone to come LOOK NOT REPAIR to tell me I needed a new faucet and I would have to pay for the faucet and install. Appliance: Dishwasher another 100.00 for the guy to tell me I needed a part that Sears did not cover and 350.00 to put it in!! Are you kidding me? I can buy a new Dishwasher. DO NOT GET SCAMMED AND BUYING THIS!!! If I could I would give it a minus 5.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My experiences with Sears Home Services have been abysmal over the past several months. I have called, emailed and messaged through social media to no avail. Since October 6, 2018 I have been without a functional laundry. First my Whirlpool dryer failed and several visits to repair it were unsuccessful until November 23rd.

For some strange reason my Whirlpool washer failed within 3 days. Because of the holiday we notified Sears Home Services on 11/29. Now, 4 visits and 6 weeks have passed and the washer is still not functional. After 2 more technicians failed yesterday, we requested a replacement washer. This is not allowed “because it was all on 1 ticket and it would have to be on 3 separate tickets. Suffice it to say that our many communications have met with disinterest, feigned concern (immediate responses on Facebook asking me repeatedly to send a private message with my contact information which I then provided more than once without any response) and sometimes extraordinarily rude behavior.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This one star is for the technician that came to diagnose a problem with my range. Otherwise, I would've given Sears a zero if I could. I ordered Sears services for my range. The Tech diagnosed a problem and said that he needs to order a part and will come in 3 weeks to install it. After paying in full for the repair and waiting 3 weeks for the part that technician diagnosed as faulty, they did not show up on the appointment day. I called the customer service to learn that the part is on backorder. Nobody even contacted me! They could not explain how long it'll take to get the part. Customer service manager was extremely rude and hung up on me. I ended up cancelling the order, but now I can't get my money back! All their customer service centers are offshore and each representative is telling me something different. The service after that is HORRIBLE. Please keep yourself out of trouble and do NOT order repair services from Sears.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My water dispenser on my refrigerator was not working so I called Sears since I purchased a repair contract through them for $50 a month. They had done a good job with my stove replacing a heating coil. So I was not expecting any problems. The repair man tried real hard but could not repair it. He actually said sorry. He still charged us the $150.00 service fee. I thought the contract said they guaranteed to fix any problem but then a few months later we found out my refrigerator had been leaking water and was buckling the floor.

I called Sears and complained and they said I could enter a dispute claim. But I had heard since that they just string you along until you get tired of it. So I asked to cancel my contract and after trying super salesmen techniques to get me to stay but I said no thanks. He said that he will cancel my contract but I would be charged $200 for the stove repair because of some clause in the contract. Never mind their guarantee. He said that was besides the fact. I say good riddance. I use to love this service 10 years ago. They actually came out and did preventative maintenance on your appliances. Their service has gone way downhill!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Obviously, Sears was trying to frustrate me into paying their fraudulent invoice by making it so extremely difficult to get the fraudulent invoice reversed – i.e. no customer service org which will even speak to me about the correction, just your insistence that I need to submit a “letter of dispute” to get the invalid invoice corrected. What happened: It took you 3 tries to get the icemaker on my freezer fixed. 10/25/18 – service technicians attempted repair unsuccessfully – the icemaker never worked after this call. At this time I paid a whopping $461.07. I was told I had a 90-day warranty on the repair which would cover parts and labor. Replaced the entire icemaker but not sure if that was even the problem, they claimed it was.

11/3/18 – service technician came out again but didn’t have the part – ok, understandable. 11/13/18 – finally got the repair done successfully. Possibly this time they finally diagnosed the problem correctly. The receipt stated “The repair is valued at 367.27. This service performed at no charge”. 36 days later on 12/19/2018, Sears cut me an invoice (not received until early in January), which claimed I owed another 337.27 for the third service call which was supposed to be covered under my warranty, with 35 day terms of payment, even though this invoice was sent 36 days after that service call. It claimed that any amount left unpaid after 95 days will be referred to collections.

What’s almost worse is the experience of trying to get the fraudulent invoice canceled. On 1/7/2018, I called the number on the invoice of the billing department, and after trying for an hour to explain the situation to their offshore service, they referred me to another phone number. The other phone number tried to sell me a home monitoring health service, and when I declined that, tried to sell me a cruise which they claimed would only cost me $65, then hung up on me. Called the billing number back and after another hour of trying to explain the issue to their inept offshore guy, he finally explained to me that I had to submit this “letter of dispute” to get the billing issue resolved even though he obviously had all the information needed to resolve the issue.

Next I chatted with someone on the home services website. They sent me an email which gave me another number which stated in their greeting that billing disputes could only be resolved via a letter of dispute. The other number it provided for additional assistance was not available in my area, it simply didn’t even work. I felt it was only reasonable that I should not need to submit a letter, so I again chatted with a representative who gave me another number, this time it seemed to be US-based and I was hopeful that somebody would have common sense and since they had all of the needed information, would simply cancel the invoice, but no, again was told I needed the letter of dispute. Truly horrible service, and obviously aimed at making the consumer give up and pay the invoice rather than face collections and credit problems.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Sears came out to see what was wrong with my dryer, they said it was the heating element, they told me how much it would cost and that the part would need to be ordered. Based on the amount to repair, I asked if I could think about it because I could possibly buy a new dryer for the amount to repair. The repairman told me I have 30 days and I could call back for the repair if I changed my mind. So I declined the estimate. I have since decided to have it repaired so I called them today, and they have to send another person out to diagnose the problem (already done in the first appt), charge me another diagnostic fee ($99) which they offered to give me 50% off, but they could not guarantee the repairman would have the part.

That seems asinine to me when they came out before said, "What part needed to be replaced." Why can't they ensure the part is ordered and the repairman can come and just fix it. So long story I am pissed off that if I decide to go with them that they can't guarantee the truck will have the part I need and they will have to come back. So I am looking at least another week waiting for the part. What a way to gouge customers for the additional diagnostic fee and make them wait even longer. Unsatisfied.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In September 2018, my refrigerator was not working, so contacted Sears Home Warranty. They sent out a repairman 6 different times, and never fixed it. The last time they said I needed a compressor. Well they installed a compressor and refrigerator would still not work, and they determined the compressor was defective and would have to order another one. While trying to fix the refrigerator, they leaned against back wall and damaged a wall to wall mirror, along with leaving the refrigerator hose leaking which caused the hardwood floor in adjoining room to buckle. Well this was the last straw, and after two months of coming out and me being without a refrigerator, I told them I had to buy a new refrigerator and send them the bill for the cost to replace it, fix my mirror, and floor. To this date, January 7, 2019, they have not settled my claim.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have had many experiences with service technicians and in general, I try to get 2 estimates and talk to my husband before making any decision about repairs. This usually isn't a problem since usually the technician doesn't have the required part anyway and needs to order it and return for the repair even if I made a decision immediately. Sears has a policy where if customers don't make a decision immediately, they have to pay for a second diagnostic fee. Not only was this not made clear to me when I met with my technician (I specifically asked), Sears would not budge on accommodating when I told them I was told by my technician that I could decide later. If you need time to think before agreeing to spend hundreds of dollars on a repair, don't bother with Sears Appliance Repair.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator with a five year extended warranty approximately a year ago. It stopped working 12/21/2018. I immediately scheduled a repair with Sears for 12/25/2018. When no repairman showed up, I called the repair company who said they didn't work Christmas but would come the next day. They didn't show up on 12/26/2018 and rescheduled for 12/27/2018. No show. Rescheduled to 12/28/2018. No show. I called Sears to complain and request a different service provider. They gave me an appointment date of 1/3/2019. When no one showed up I discovered they had rescheduled with the same company. I called the repair company and they said that they were in the neighborhood and would I mind if they came later that evening. No show.

Today Sears tells me that the appointment was rescheduled for today. No one informed me even though they have my email and phone number. I am hiring another company and moving on. Apparently I cannot sue because Sears is in bankruptcy and all claims will be put on hold. WORST APPLIANCE EXPERIENCE EVER. Multiple phone calls to Sears, transferred around, disconnected, called back and I cannot be connected to anyone with any authority to authorize another repair shop or refund me my warranty money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have a Sears Home Warranty Policy in good standing. My dishwasher went out Sept 30, 2018. Called Sears. Service provider came the next week, determined the problem, sent to Sears, Sears sent service provider, came back the next week - with the wrong part to a different brand of Dishwasher, Provider sent part back-- they acknowledged that they received part.

Over the time period from Mid Oct to today Dec. 3, 2019 I have been told-- the part is on the way, they don't make the part any longer but trying to find it, my warranty has been canceled, my warranty has not been cancelled, they can't find the part, someone will install a new dishwasher-- and today they have found the part and it is on the way to the service provider-- who has not answered his phone in 3 weeks-- and no matter who you talk to they have to send info to someone else. That is the policy.

Asked to speak to supervisor-- who would contact me in the order received. Supervisor called at 10:00pm the next night after someone else told me the provider would install a new dishwasher between the 3rd and 5th of Dec. The supervisor assumed the matter had been settled so did I until I contacted Sears to tell them I could not get a hold of the service provider. When I was informed that if that service provider was not available we would have to start all over with a new one. Hate to even tell my husband this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My wife and I purchased the Sears Home Warranty. This fiasco started in early November 2018. The dispenser on our washer wasn't working properly, specifically the fabric softener. We called the Sears Home Warranty. A Sears technician came out the first time, troubleshoot and said the dispenser pull out drawer needed to be replaced. He ordered the part. The part was supposed to be replaced 1 week later. We discovered that washer machine after his visit would not work at all. We called to inform Sears Home Warranty about this. A week later, I took the morning off of work so that I could meet the technician to let him in to replace the part.

At around 11:00 AM my wife called Sears Home Warranty wanting to know what happened to the technician. We were informed that he didn't come because he was sick. We asked why didn't we get a phone call to tell us. If we hadn't called, I would have waited well past the deadline when he was supposed to show up. We rescheduled but I was reluctant to take more of my personal time off of work so we requested they come out after we got home from work or on the weekend. After some debate and discussion, a contractor on behalf of Sears Home Warranty was assigned to come out. He came out on a Saturday. He said the part that the Sears tech ordered would not have fixed the problem and he diagnosed that a water valve was needed. He said he would order the part and come out the next Saturday. Good thing I didn't take off of work this time because he didn't show up or cared to call to say he wasn't coming.

We called Cross Country Home Services. This is the insurance company that pays for the home warranty. We complained that 2 techs had come out on 2 separate occasions but no part had been replaced. On 2 occasions when the tech was to replace the part neither showed up or cared to call to say they weren't coming. We spent the next month calling and talking to several case managers, complaining about what had happened. Another contractor worker was assigned from another contract company. He came out and diagnosed that a board needed to be ordered. He said the procedure was he had to call the warranty company to get approval for the part to be ordered. The warranty company said it would have to be reviewed.

After a week went by we called to find out the status. We were informed that part was ordered and shipped and the contractor should have received the part on December 27. We called the contractor on December 27. He said he was out on the road and he would check to see if the part came in after he got home. He never called back. Once again we called the home warranty people on December 31 to see what the status was on when we can expect to get our washer machine repaired. They said the part was shipped to contractor and he would contact us to schedule to come out and put he part in. I told the case manager that we had called the contractor and he didn't call us back. They said they would call the contractor. The contractor called around 3:00 PM on December 31 and said that he would come out on January 2 between 4:00 and 8:00 PM. He never showed up or called.

Today is December 3. We have had with to total failure to get our washer machine repaired after 2 months and a week now. We are starting here to get the word out. DO NOT purchase the Sears Home Warranty plan. It is not worth the paper it is written on. Our next step is to call the corporate office of Cross Country Home Services. We also will contact Sears corporate to see if we can get any help there. We are also considering contacting one of the investigative reporting of one or more of the local TV stations in the Dallas Fort Worth areas to see if they can help us in any way.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

On December 8th I purchased a pressure washer on Sears Online Shopping, sold by SugarHouse Marketplace for a Christmas present for my husband. It was to be delivered on December 21st. It is January 2, 2019 and it never arrived. On December 20th it arrived at FEDEX Smartpost in New Berlin WI and sat there for 6 days. I reached out to Sears customer service on 12/26/18 concerned that it had been stolen (more than likely by a postal worker) as the shipment tracking appeared suspicious. Sears customer service rep said that they would look into it and follow up with me. Thereafter the tracking information showed movement of the package I was expecting. However my intuition was telling me that the tracking information was a facade due to the package was moving further north of the country and I live South. Texas to be specific.

Today I received an email that my package was delivered. Location, Skandia, MI. I have reached out to Sears customer service again and spoke with a supervisor by the name of Kent who assures me that he will contact the vendor. This is no use to me as I am out of money, which 60.00 of it was for the delivery fee and the gift that my husband wanted has never been received. I have requested my money back and will be purchasing the pressure washer from another retailer. Kent states that it will take 5-7 business days to return the funds back to my checking account. There was no apology given. My Christmas gift will be given in mid January. Please learn from my experience. Do business with a retailer that is not going out of business, and offers stellar customer service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Sears came out. Worked on appliance. Done. I paid in full the bill by CC to repair man. 6 months later company wants $80.00 more. No proof I own on their part. No signature by me. Nothing. Cannot get them to understand I paid what was owed even though they see I did. Very unreasonable. Been fighting this for 4 months. They are so unreasonable. I will never own or use an item or service from them again... BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

The Sears Home Warranty is a total SCAM. I purchased a whole house warranty and have contacted them 4 times about my dryer. 3 of the 4 times they sent a contractor, SilverTech, to fix it. The 1st time they came out they wrapped aluminum foil around a part and said it was fixed (it was not), then they sent one of their people to fix it and it was good for a while. The 3rd time they sent SilverTech and they changed a part and it was fixed for about a month.

Today the same SilverTech contractor came to my home and was very rude. He went to the dryer, turned it on a d then walked out of my home telling me he had to call to see how the company wanted to handle the situation and then drove off. I called the contractor twice and was sent to voicemail. I got a hold of Sears and they told me the contractor said the problem was due to overstuffing the dryer and it was nothing they could do. I am livid. This is a complete lie so they could collect money and shift responsibility. I will be contacting the BBB and Consumer Affairs on both companies.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

When I requested an estimate for my kitchen remodel I was advised it is a 90 minute process. The Project Consultant arrived on time and with proper identification. However, there was no measuring of my floor, countertops or cabinets. The quote I was given were approximates. For example the cost to replace my floor is $6,000 - $8,000. Sears is the 3rd business I've requested estimates from and the previous companies measured and also provided suggestions. The Consultant arrive @5 pm and left @5:23 (so much for that 90 minute process). The Consultant offered no suggestions and didn't want to take a seat so my husband and I could discuss this further with him. Needless to say, if they are not interest, neither are we.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

After 7 weeks of waiting for parts I finally get an appointment to get my dishwasher fixed, after taking the day off work I get a phone call at 4pm saying my appointment is going to have to be reschedule. Once I call to reschedule I'm told the next available appointment is 8 days out- mind you I just went through the holidays with no dishwasher and spending close to $300 on paper products. I go through the procedure, schedule the appointment 8 days out. Day of the appointment comes and I get a phone call at 4 pm saying I need to reschedule- get the same BS on the phone about being 7 days out. Unbelievably frustrated, someone has got to have an answer out there.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Talked into an Extra warranty for my Toshiba TV. The picture went out and I called in September to use my warranty and they sent a service man out October 3. He said it was unfixable and they would have to get me a new T.V. Back and forth from October 3 until now and still I have to call them. It has been about 20 phone calls and no action. I am now at the point I need to see if AARP can help me. Very disappointed because in my life Sears was the most dependable company around. Now it's terrible. I feel like I was taken advantage because of my age. Sincerely, disappointed and frustrated customer.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My parents were big fans of Sears and I have continued to use but after my last two experiencing I can see why I've heard they are going out of business. Last year and this year I brought their mower repair service out to give annual service (oil change, blades and such). Each service was over $400 and each one had them ordering me parts that never arrived. I called their customer service assistance and the heavily accented agents were no help and impossible to understand. Don't waste your time with their services. The convenience of home visit is far out weighed by the poor service and extreme expense...

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Absolute crooks with worst customer service in the world! I have tried to cancel service with them twice now... we'll see. Beware! In the fine print they will charge you for cancelling a service within 48 hours (which I never did), BUT they canceled on me 3 times with less than 12 hours notice! 3 times I took a day off work to be there in the 4 hour window they require you to be home and they canceled with so little notice I could not go into work. That cost me $$$ and they refused to work around my schedule to complete the work. Took over 6 weeks for a repair that took the guy 20 minutes.

Beware: I canceled my service in April after terrible experience. It is now December and they have continued to charge my credit card every month... I have documentation that I discontinued service and their customer service is SO bad I can't get them to stop taking my ** money. I'm in dispute now and I'm going to win but wow are they bad. Save your time and money and just hire a person or replace whatever is broken. You'll be way better off than working with this company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I cannot rate a product that I have not received. Therefore, my rating is for Sears located in Chicago Ridge Mall. I placed an order on December 14, 2018, and the expected arrival date was December 24, 2018. Well I have not received the item or confirmation for pickup. I spoke with Marisol, a manager @ 11:12 am (12/30/18) and she returned my call at 11:26 am. Marisol claims my order does not exist, but when I called the 800 number for Sears orders they stated the item was in the store. I told her that Sears.com said my item was there and she said “I don’t know where they got that information from, but there is no order.” Nevertheless as a manager she didn’t bother to any other research in regards to my order.

What’ is really going on at Sears? I’ve ordered a few things for pickup before and didn’t have an issue. I don’t understand why the store cannot find my order just like Sears.com did. ??? I’m left to believe the store is really not looking for my order. I left a message for customer pickup and waiting on a return call. Sears.com stated they will contact the store regarding my order. This is poor quality customer service on the store's behalf. I gave one star rating due the review not allowing me to proceed without choosing a star. Zero stars is my rating.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I purchased a new Kenmore Refrigerator that has not cooled lower then 50 degrees. I removed all the food, unplugged the refrigerator for 3 hours plugged and allowed to cool before putting items back. I have it set at the lowest setting and it still maintains 50-56 degrees, causing food to spoil. My daughter ate food and had poisoning due to eating something spoiled before we purchased a thermometer. I now check the thermometer and it remains the same. I have called Sears on 2 different occasions and have been told I need for a technician to look at ii. the soonest January 15th, 2019. Meanwhile no food can be placed in the refrigerator or the freezer. This is extremely poor service and it's a shame that there is a response stating, "this is all we can offer" ..supervisor Frances ID#** you are injustice to Sears and to the customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Sears online is like talking to my dog... Well maybe my dog is smarter... I ordered a treadmill from Sears on 11/15/2018 is was supposed to be delivered on 12/04/18, I called and asked for a refund on 12/06/18. Sears said it would be about 3 to 5 business days to get my money back... To make a long story short I called them every day for a week straight after the 5 days was up. No one spoke good English and didn't understand the phrase "I want my money back". I dont want the product. 12/21/18 the treadmill was on my doorstep. No communication about the item being sent. Already lied about getting a refund. I will never in my life deal with Sears again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was assured the home remodel division was NOT included in the Sears bankruptcy issues. I should have known better. I overpaid for a tub to shower remodel because I wanted a pro and a lifetime warranty. After install, I had several issues. I never received callbacks from my project manager and contacted corporate. I asked for another project manager and told them the installer would NOT be allowed back in my home because he did a terrible job. Corporate sent my complaint to the original project manager who scheduled an inspection by the original installer. They argued, by law! I had to allow this man in my house. I asked to see the law. They sent another installer.

He agreed with the issues and said they could only offer to tear out and start over. He was supposed to get back to me. I then received a letter from the bankruptcy court. Since I haven’t heard anything else, I’m stuck paying for a something that has devalued my home. I understand this may not help anyone. I don’t know if the home services division is shut down. If it’s not shut down, DO NOT USE THEM! If you have any type of warranty with SEARS, I wish you luck. It may not be worth the paper it’s printed on.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They won't take back anything without a receipt, not refund and no exchange. This is the dumbest thing. No wonder Sears has gone to crap and are closing many stores. I sure hope everyone else received gift receipts for their Christmas gifts.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I ordered online to pick up in store because it said the store had plenty, only to find out later the order was cancelled because supposedly the store doesn't have them. Then to get a refund is like pulling teeth. This happened 4 times. Can't trust them at all.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I ordered a pair of Harley Davidson women leather boots from Sears. I had some reward cash to use from when I purchased a lawnmower. The boots was a CHRISTMAS present for my girlfriend. She was so excited when they arrived until she opened them anyway. They looked like something someone would throw away. The boots had big scuff marks all over one side. The loop on the tongue that holds the lace was torn half off. The heels on both was scuffed up and one had a hole chipped out of it. They were bubbled up all over the heels. They were obviously something that someone else had used and returned. Now CHRISTMAS ruined for her.

Now trying to get them returned is a nightmare. When you call you can never speak to anyone that speaks English to where you can understand them and do not understand English well enough to understand half of what you are trying to explain to them. But was told a return label would be mailed out in 3 to 5 business days. I can't believe they actually sent something that looked like the junk these boots did out to someone especially at CHRISTMAS time.

I did try to return at one of their stores in the next town but was told by a very rude manager, "I can't help you because our store is closing down in January and we are not a store ANYMORE, just an outlet store." WHAT! $10 in gas wasted. All I know is I will never ever shop from Sears ever again and neither will any of my FAMILY. Customer service and junk products is EXACTLY why this company has lost customers and is going out of business. When they do get the boots back my money better be put back on my credit card.

Sears Company Information