Sears

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

During a heavy rainstorm we hear water, we notice that water is pouring in from one of our Picture Windows that was replaced by Sears September, 2014. It's late evening on a Friday and I call into the warranty office. When they find my account I am told that the Service Contract has expired and that I will need to pay $100 for someone to come out and check to see what the problem is. Mind you, I have NO PROBLEM with this because $100 is far less than the replacement of my wall. What really made me lose my composure was when the rep tells me that "It's late, they do not work on the weekend" and that I will need to pay the $100 before the call can continue.

Continue WHAT? You pay, I will open a ticket, and then someone will call you back on Monday to schedule an individual to come out to your home!! What the heck!! With all the fraud occurring these days, why the heck would I give my credit card information in order to receive a callback? The payment is for service NOT a phone call back on Monday... Can SOMEONE PLEASE explain this Customer Service to me? $3000 for 2 picture windows and then $100 with the hopes of getting a call back to fix a bad installation on Monday!! I AM STEAMING!!!

Sears has got to be the worst, most ignorant, incompetent service that I have ever seen. We have a dishwasher that has needed a series of repairs. When the service man DOES arrive AND he has the correct part, well then it gets fixed. Of the last two problems they have booked us on one Thursday, confirmed it, then insisted that it was for the following week. They then sent the wrong part. Last week we again called to make an appointment and specified that it was to correct a specific problem for which we had already received the part. It was confirmed yesterday and my wife AGAIN took a half day off from work. We receive a call today that it had been scheduled as a YEARLY MAINTENANCE. OF COURSE WE HAD TO RESCHEDULE AGAIN. This is the last Sears item that I will ever buy.

If I could give a zero star review that would be my optimal choice. 7/24 I made an appt with Sears to repair our broken 2 yr old Kenmore Elite Refrigerator. 8/2 technician arrives, diagnosed as a compressor leak (part under warranty not labor). She offers the home warranty at $60/mo and when I decline she scoffs like I am crazy. Earliest available appt for repair is 8/16. My husband called and changed to 8/9. Then we are contacted to say we MUST reschedule and earliest available is 8/16.

Here it is 8/16 and they call at 3:00 to inform me the technician went home early and nobody is available to come today. Earliest available is 8/25!! That's if they show up, which I am highly questioning. We could have used a local repair company and had a working refrigerator by now. We are a family of five and not having an operating refrigerator on the main living level is very frustrating. I am appalled with their lack of customer service and will never again give Sears my business. Just shameful.

My wife and I bought a California King Simmons Beauty Rest bed from Sears 64 days ago. The bed is slouching on both sides, it feels like you are going to roll off of the edge when you try to sleep. Everything they said about "exchanging the bed for another" and "ten-year warranty" has proven to be lies. They say "no no no no no", over and over like a broken record. Caveat emptor, they in no way are honoring their guarantees, they are just scooping up every $2,888 they can get and leaving us stuck with back aches.

Our salesman, Earl in beds, was so glib about the warranties, until it was time to honor neither of them. So, we are now wasting our time arguing with Sears (Earl) and being treated like dust under the bed with no recourse and a defective mattress. BTW, Earl says they don't warranty mattresses "not on Sears box springs and frames", yet Earl recommended we "put the mattress on the floor for more support"... Anything but take back an obviously defective mattress that is slouching towards the floor on both sides...

I feel like I could have written most of the previous reviews. I don't understand how they are getting away with this. They keep referring back to their agreement but they are the ones not following through. I had the pleasure of being told - when the finish came off the handles of my brand new range - to just spray paint them. I didn't know that option was in the warranty. Since there are so many of us with the same problem why can't a solution be found to help us? Obviously the lack of techs and parts are a main contributor to this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

I called Sears Aug 1, 2017. Sears stated my case was a emergency because one of my burners did not want to shut off and the range was reading gas due to it did not want to shut off. I had to get Con Edison to come and shut off my gas. Now I have no gas and I had to buy a Waring Pro Burner Hot Plate for my family of 7. I had to wait 10 days for a repair person to come in Aug 11, 2017 and see what is wrong with the range after that I got a part yesterday. Aug 15th 2017 now I need to wait till Aug 25th for the tech to put the part in my range. Oh and all they are giving me after "I'm sorry I'm sorry for your inconvenience" is $50 which isn't making me whole for the burner and Sears just care. This is my last appliance I buy from them. Nobody should have to wait 3 and a half weeks!

I called Sears because my range was not working. Our basement flooded and I thought maybe the storm had something to do with it. When I turned the burner on it sparked and everything went dead. The repairman flicked the breaker which we had done many times and it came on. His explanation was the lines got wet and are now dried out.

About an hour after he left the cooktop light came on by itself. None of the burners were on. I called him and told him what happened and he told me to flick the breaker again and it should go out. I did and it did not go out. I asked him to come back because it evidently has a short in it and I do not feel that it is safe. He would not come back. I called Sears and explained the problem. The agent said he would email the technician and call me later to follow-up. Neither called me back. I called Sears again, explained my problem and even talked to a supposedly supervisor and was told no one could come out until the next week and I would be charged another service fee. I have been a Sears customer for over 50 years and they always had good products and customer service. Now I see why they are in trouble and going out of business.

It has literally been years since I have been so frustrated and angered by a large company’s desertion of anything remotely related to “customer service.” Actually, in this case, “customer service” and “Sears,” used in the same sentence, would represent an oxymoron unless accompanied by “zero”, “total absence,” or similar qualifiers.

I have a service contract on a Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher which failed two weeks ago and the earliest repair appointment I could get was two weeks out, between 1-5 pm. I made the necessary and inconvenient arrangements to be here for the entire afternoon. A voice-mail the morning before service indicated my appointment had been cancelled & needed to be rescheduled; after various waits and frustrations with the Manila call center, I was informed that “due to a Sears scheduling error, no technician was available for my appointment and the next available appointment was Sept 11” — nearly a month away! Talking to “Escalation” didn’t help—simply the same message delivered a second time. Gee, everyone was sorry about a month a half’s delay but…

It seems to me one of the primary rules of good customer service should be: Don’t make the customer suffer for the company’s error. Given the inordinate length of time for service, I at least should have been offered the option to go to a third party repair subject to a deductible or a cap. With this kind of “service,” it’s no wonder Sears’ business is off by more than 40%.

I'm a little worried after reading many of these reviews. New Kenmore Power Miser 12 was installed in 2009 and has 12 year warranty. From what I read is Sears will either make you produce a receipt or if they do honor the warranty they only warranty the actual appliance not labor. They then turn and say labor is 700$ which is more than a brand new water heater installed and all. So I'm debating on just getting a different one from somewhere else than verifying every aspect of my new warranty and have everything in writing before I spend a cent. This type of conduct displayed by Sears is a huge reason they are failing and many stores are closing down nationwide. They used to be the gold standard. Before when you had a craftsman tool you never worried because you knew if it broke you can go get a new one with no questions asked.

But now I hear they want you to prove ownership after 10 years with a receipt. I've had receipts in my wallet for only a year and pulled it out and ink was completely gone and now had a blank piece of paper so I doubt one would last 10 years unless you laminate it but who does that in a day and age of computer tech. So I see Sears eventually shutting down completely and they know it, so this is why they are conducting terrible customer service and horrible warranty policies. So to anybody looking to buy any appliance whatsoever keep in mind the warranty will mean nothing if the place you buy it from is no longer in business,which Sears will most likely be within the next 5 years.

I wanted to change my auto ship date for my Kenmore refrigerator's water filter. After following all the instructions, it would not allow me to change the date without putting in the frequency of the auto ship. Understandable. However the drop down area where one would indicate the frequency was blank. Sears would not allow me to just put in a date for the next desired shipment date. Instead, it canceled my auto ship altogether. I also had to enter my email and password twice -- annoying. The site indicated that I could "chat" with a customer service rep to help, however, none were available to speak to me online on a Monday afternoon at 1:15 p.m. POOR SERVICE.

I had a Sears repair technician come to fix my dishwasher that was making funny grinding noises on June 21. He changed two pumps and never checked the grinding blades below the spray arm. I read online that the grinding blades may have something stuck in them that could cause the problem. Now, the heating element isn't working--at least the water is not hot (only warm). Thank goodness the last visit is still covered for the technician to come back again. The technician talked us into buying a home warranty contract. He said it would begin on July 13. I called today to see if my ice maker which has a crack in the back of the housing could be repaired, and they said it was not covered.

When the repair technician was here on June 21, he said it would be covered. The warranty contract is $49.99 a month, so it is not worth the expense. I called today to cancel the warranty, and I was on hold for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Before I talked to the home warranty people, I called to schedule an appointment for the technician to come back to repair the dishwasher. I could not understand the person that set up the appointment. Why does Sears use foreigners that you cannot understand? I can understand why Sears is having financial problems. They do not treat their customers with honesty and respect.

Delivery obviously and ridiculously damaged. Almost every piece was bent and unsalvageable and now I have to deal with the hassle of the return of heavy goods without a truck and a refund of sizeable amount - and I have been given the runaround for weeks on a dishwasher purchase and install in the past so I'm dreading it. Hard to believe any reputable company would knowingly do this to a paying customer. Apparently word of mouth and repeat business don't mean anything anymore.

Kenmore Elite Double Oven Range 7909731 - I would rate this and Sears customer service at -0- stars if I could. Purchased this range in November 2016. I do a good bit of baking, so paid to upgrade to Kenmore Elite convection double oven. I have purchased Kenmore appliances for over 25 years with no issues. This will be the last one. Began having issues with the convection oven's fan not working or maintaining temperature in December. Raw AND burned cookies. First service call in January. I was told there was nothing wrong with the temperature after the tech shot his laser thermometer in there to check, says I have to wait 15 minutes after the oven SAYS it's preheated to the set temperature and that I shouldn't put more than one thing in the oven... what? That's why you pay more for convection!

He replaced some screws that were sitting in the bottom and left. Whatever... tried baking muffins didn't rise, raw middles and burnt outsides. 2nd service call. The day tech was supposed to be there calls and says not coming, will order a new control panel and reschedule. After replacement, baking takes at least 20 minutes longer than recipe indicates, overbrowning outside. 3rd service call. This tech tells me the oven is 25 degrees over what it should be and recalibrated. Next baking attempt, the temperature decreases to 180. Ok, I'm thinking maybe I hit something.

Next day, baking again. Preheats to 350 and then starts beeping, flashing error codes FJ5. a locked and a 9 with \... Call Sears, tech scheduled for next day between 8 am and 5 pm, will call 30 minutes before arriving. Calls me in driveway and says he will not wait, will not come back and they are not allowed to call before the first call. Was on the phone at least 6 times with Sears customer service. When the tech comes back 5 DAYS LATER, he's never heard of the error codes and is ordering the same control panel that was replaced 6 months ago. This is ridiculous. I will never buy from Sears again. The lack of customer service is appalling.

My washing machine was not delivered when it was suppose to because the delivery people did not have the right info. Why??? For some reason I got messages on my cell phone with all the correct phone and address info, BUT the delivery people had an incomplete address without my unit number and incorrect phone number. I went online and did see that I had the cell phone number was off by one number which I must have typed incorrectly, however my home phone was there as well but they never called. So as I was waiting for the delivery and started calling customer service, I always ended up in the Philippines and when I asked to be transferred to the US, which all companies are suppose to have a US counterpart, I never got assistance.

I have nothing against using the Philippines for somethings, but when you are trying to hunt down your washing machine, it would be nice to have a number to call so that something as simple as this could be cleared. The Philippines kept saying that the delivery people called my cell and my home (a correct number) and that never happened, I was glued to my phone during the delivery time. Now, I have to wait for Monday, when I will be at work and asked them to deliver it at 4 pm when I'll be home, but I really wanted this done before school started and I wouldn't have to worry if this thing will work properly. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten this at another store even though I would have had to pay more.

I opened a Sears credit card in May. I purchased several items for my military daughter, which included two pairs of jeans. They did not fit her and due to her location I had to wait to get them back so I could return/exchange them. I went into the store thinking it wouldn't be an issue since there was a ton of the same jeans sitting on a table a few feet from me. To my surprise, they wouldn't refund, exchange or give me store credit. I called their 800 number to tell them of my displeasure to find out that they could care less. DON'T SHOP SEARS!

Sears has poor customer service. Every time I called the company they put me on hold for no less than 20 minutes. I'm sure they were hoping that I would just go away after waiting for so long and being transferred to another department that would put me another 20 minute hold. I wanted some justice for how they came out to fix my washer and the technician left the home without testing to make sure the repairs were done properly. Of course the repairs were not done properly and the washer was still broken. Sears put me off for several days before they would get another technician out to the house. I hate this warranty plan and would not recommend Sears to anyone!

We have had a service contract on EVERY major appliance, purchased from Sears, in our home since it was built in 2000. In the last four years, trying to get someone out to service NEWLY purchased appliances has been a battle. They don't show, when they do, the service person is careless and unconcerned. He's just on the clock. When I requested a different service tech, and told them I would not let the previous one in my house, they sent him anyway. With the memo that I didn't want him there! He could have cared less. A horrendous waste of money!! Now they have a sub-contractor, Virg's Appliance Repair from Faribault, MN. Didn't show TWICE this week. NO Communication from either of them. Inconsiderate, unreliable. Pretty dumb to throw in with Sears. You shall be judged by the company you keep! Don't buy ANYTHING from Sears, and don't call Virg.

Defective washer returned. 10 days later still no refund. Idiots running Sears. It's hard to imagine that a company is purposely trying to bankrupt themselves but I can see no other possible explanation for the way that Sears treats its customers. I made two purchases from Sears this summer. Both items turned out to be defective.

The first item my husband repaired himself after learning that we needed to print off our original order get photo proof of payment take a photograph of the defective item, then mail those items in to wait for an evaluation to determine if the item would be repaired or replaced. The second item been a washing machine that after the first load lock the door and would not open. The repair man Sears sent that we waited two weeks to get out informed us that series was completely defective and it should be returned. That was 11 days ago and I am still waiting for a refund. To make matters even worse the employees at the store didn't even seem to properly understand how to do a refund. Lack of training of employees, dimmed lighting and a 'go to hell attitude' from the very top will sink Sears. But that seems to be what they have wanted all along.

Sears is not the store it use to be with providing good products, customer service and efficient and timely repairs to their products. Today is August 7, 2017, and I have been without a working refrigerator since July 5, 2017. When I first contacted Sears on July 5, 2017, it took 3 weeks for them to schedule a service technician to even come out to my home. In between time I had a third party repairmen come out and he discovered that the compressor was not functioning and he was also prepared to make the repairs immediately but Sears would not authorize reimbursement because the service was over $300. Sears did not care about my family and I being without a working refrigerator, they were more concerned with having their repairmen fix it at a lower cost. Oh and let's talk about Sears repairmen. Sears was informed of the diagnosis from the third party on July 8th when they refused to let him make the repairs.

However when Sears came out on July 20, 2017, they sent a repairman out without the parts being ordered for the compressor. He ordered the parts at my home and they arrived within a week, but I still had to wait until August 3, 2017 for the repairmen to return to install them. He installed them on August 3, 2017 and said the refrigerator should be cool within 8-24 hours, guess what today is August 7, 2017 and we still do not have a working refrigerator, freezer or ice maker, it remains completely broken. I called to inform Sears of this issue on Friday and they said, “Oh you just need to adjust the cooling settings.” On Friday evening August 4, 2017 the refrigerator still was not functioning. I called on Saturday to inform them that making the suggested cooling adjustments failed also and they informed me that they still cannot get a technician out until August 17, 2017.

I ask for a request to have a third party come out again and the request was granted and I was informed that if the repairs are over $300, that Sears will not reimburse me for the expenses unless I contact them for approval. I am beyond upset with Sears and I will NEVER buy another major appliance or their extended warranty ever again. This store is not the reputable place to go to purchase major appliances like it was many years ago. Very unsatisfied customer with still no working refrigerator.

Sears home warranty. Called in June for dishwasher and microwave repair. After two months of calling supervisors who told me the parts have been ordered, they denied the microwave. Why lie? The door is cracked. The microwave heats up so much that the dishes are hot. No wonder the door cracked. They kept assuring me they ordered the part. Today they tell us no. Since June!!! The dishwasher finally fixed after two months. This is disgusting.

I have a riding mower, still under warranty and the tech came out in June, said it needed a new head gasket. Parts arrived within a few days. Since then, I've had 3 no show service appts. I've had to pay to get my grass cut, along with missing 3 days of work. I spoke to a supervisor that connected me to the service tech and I was told that there are customers who've been waiting 3 months for service, and that I also live out in the country so I'm not a priority appt. Now, my next appt is August 12th. I had many items that I wanted to buy from Sears, but I will shop elsewhere from now on.

I was so overjoyed when you reached out to me, making me think that Sears really does Care. Sadly, that is not the case, as I researched google and the BBB for Sears customer complaints. I will also be filing complaints as well and will never purchase anything from your company. Keep reaching out to your business associates hear!!

The home warranty is a joke. Here's the reasons why you should look elsewhere for home warranty: 1) Sears wants the contractor fixing the problem to put in a request to them for approval to buy parts and /or make repairs. That's going to take days, so if your AC is out, don't expect immediate fix. 2) Sears will not take responsibility for mistakes made by the contractors that they selected to send to your house for repairs. 3) If the repair item has a warranty, Sears expects you to call the company for assistance. 4) Sears customer service sucks. Don't expect any resolution or solutions to your problem. Sears expects you to deal with their contractors and vendors.

After 36 days of waiting for a washer I ordered, I finally was able to pick it up at the Crossroads Mall, I was on the phone for a least 1.5 hrs. about 10 times during this 36 days... The online customer service phone center is not in the U.S. and they did not know where the washer was. I had to cancel and order the washer 3 times per their recommendations, because they said there was a bug in the system somewhere. They kept extending the delivery day until I finally went to the store and chose a different washer that was compatible (not the one I wanted originally).

Then to try to compensate they will deliver and install at no charge, it didn't happen. I finally had to go pick it up to finally get it. My wife had to schedule off work twice a week in advance only to find out the delivery was cancelled. And when I called the store (319) 235-6311, nobody will answer just the automated system. Yes I had a lot of patience. The online department and store department are like 2 different companies, if you order online and they have the product at the store they won't give it to you because it has to come from the online warehouse, makes no sense.

In April 2017 I paid 289.00 to repair a leakage on my refrigerator and the repair guy sold me the home warranty plan 69.99 per month. The refrigerator kept leaking and a tech was send over; was told could not repair, had to replace refrigerator. I called the home warranty and a tech was send out; I paid 100 deductible and the tech fixed the problem. (A TUBE CLOGGED WITH DUST). 8/04/2017 I called to cancel the warranty due to being laid off; can't afford it. The rep Jawan told me that for cancelling it I had to pay 112.83 plus 30.00 for the refrigerator. I'm like WHAT!! I told her it's a win-win for Sears because to me you guys rig things up so clients can buy the warranty; thinking that they are doing something good, when in reality it's the worst mistake ever. I would NEVER EVER RECOMMEND SEARS PHX AZ to anyone. FYI, if I did not pay that amount right there and then that they would send it to collections!!! What a rip off.

I took the spray arm from my Kenmore dishwasher into the store in Topeka, Kansas to ask how to reattach it. The associate did not look anything up, did not ask any other associate for help, and said, "We're not going to call out a technician for something this minor. Why don't you look it up on YouTube?

Horrible experience with Kenmore Elite refrigerator from day 1. Technician has repaired at least 8 times in 3 1/2 years. Request to repair a minimum time frame 2 weeks. They are totally outsourced or subcontract technicians. They are aware of a part defect with those refrigerator but would rather pretend that it's repairable, but only temporary fix. Will never by Sears appliances ever again. I've spent thousands with them.

I am remodeling my kitchen and needed a new wall mounted oven. My contractor suggested a Oven/Microwave combo. It made sense. I am on a fixed income and a limited budget. When I found a GE Profile PT9800SHSS 30" Combination Double Wall Oven with Convection and Advantium® Technology for 68% off retail at an Sears Outlet store. I called the outlet store in Kansas City. It was listed as a floor model with no damage. I asked the girl to check the unit for damage and that all of the packaging, racks, cooking hardware was there. She came back a few minutes later and told me she didn't notice any damage but she asked the manager to check. He said there was a small scratch on 1 of the door handles and everything else was there. She was very nice and I told her I would order it on-line with my Sears account. I waited a few days and that unit was no longer on-line but I never received a confirmation e-mail or text.

I called the outlet back and she told me it was in the shipping process. So I called Sears and got an order number that was a digit too long and they had the order but no info. The Sears Outlet site states it may 2 to 3 weeks and it would be shipped to the nearest Sears store. I waited almost 2 weeks and called Sears again. They told me the order number I had was off by 1 digit but had no info on the package. They said I would get an email status report in 3 to 5 days. Are you kidding me? Tomorrow is 5 business days. I went to my local Sears Home Center store and the guy was extremely rude and gave me a bunch of BS! I have tried to track the package on-line but it keeps coming back with no such order. It is nice to complain to help others figure out if they want to use Sears but I need a solution!

Charged me for a repair. Never kept me up to date with what was happening. I called them only to find out they're not repairing it or replacing it as I was told when I first signed up and never told me certain parts were not included until 6 months later when I needed the repair. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS IN ANY WAY WITH SEARS!!! I was con and locked in this contract!!!! Buyer beware of this shady business.

We have a lawn mower barely 2 years old. Craftsman and the lawnmower keeps breaking down and having to pay someone to mow our yard because each time it takes 10 days to get a Service Tech to our house. Then another 10 days for the part and service Tech. to come back to fix the problem. We went 30 days without a lawn mower (we have to mow weekly) because they had to order parts 2 different times. By the time this was done now the mower is out of warranty. Used the mower three times and did the same thing, we had to wait another 10 days to get them to come out always setting apt up after 4, due to work no one would be home. On the 10th day the tech. went to the house early that morning then kept calling the owner at work to reschedule a different day and a time. The service tech kept trying to set it up for a day the owner was working a 12 hr shift and could not be home.

The owner called in the service dept and told them what the Tech. was trying to do and they said "oh we'll rescheduled for later that day." By 630 that evening after waiting for 2 1/2 hrs for them to show, the owner needing to go check on an elderly parent, I recalled and the service dept. They said the Tech. went to the wrong house so will have to set up for another day and kept trying to set the date for the day I had already told them could not be there, after finally tired of arguing with the Service on the phone I asked to speak to a Manager. He said He could connect me only to a supervisor. The same deal he kept trying to set up for the day I kept telling them I WAS WORKING A 12 HR SHIFT, COULD NOT BE THERE. I told the supervisor I should not have to wait another week when it WAS the TECH. fault for showing up when he was not suppose to be there, was not suppose to be there until AFTER 4pm.

He said "well I have a Thursday" (day I cannot be there) not UNDERSTAND when someone said they are working and could not be there, I finally was tired of dealing with these Robot like people and let them set it up for another week out. We have had to pay someone several times to mow our yard by the time they will be coming to fix the mower, now 15 days waiting. The Service dept. on the phone is like talking to Robots they do not listen at ALL. I will NEVER buy anything from Sears again. This is the worst Customer Service Dept I have ever dealt with and products. I bought a fridge with ice maker in door from Sears prior to mower, the ice maker stopped working 6 months after.

On July 10th, I put the Sears Smart Service Protection Agreement on my Kenmore refrigerator because the ice dispenser wasn't working. In the coming days, the entire fridge stopped working, and all my food and frozen items spoiled. Keep in mind that it hasn't even been 5 years since we bought this fridge. The earliest date for a technician to check on our fridge was July 25th, a full 2 weeks without a functioning fridge. The technician arrived, ordered some parts to fix the fridge, set an appointment for August 16th, and told us that once we received all the parts in the mail, we could move the appointment to an earlier date. We talked to someone through the Sears Home Services chat over the weekend, and were told that once we received the last part arriving on August 1st (today), we can use the chat again to reschedule the appointment to an earlier date.

Well we received the last package, and used the Home Services chat again to reschedule the appointment like we were told we could, but instead we were told that the earliest date a technician could come was August 16th, and that there was nothing else they could do. After being told multiple times that the appointment to fix our fridge could be moved to an earlier date as soon as we have all the parts in our possession, we were told that we had to wait another 2 weeks before a technician could come repair it, meaning that we would have to spend an entire month without a functioning fridge. The fact that we were lied to, and are forced to be without a fridge for a whole month in the middle of the summer is simply unacceptable.

Sears Company Profile