1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5780 Sears Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've had the worse experience with Sears Home Warranty. You can only use their service 30 days after your first payment. After the 30 days, when you file a claim, you have to pay a non-refundable deductible of $75-$80 per claim. Next, this service does not include Sears employee technicians. Instead, Sears sub-contracts with third party vendors who are rude, disrespectful, and do not return phone calls. They took my money and charged me a monthly fee for a service I could not use. I spent many days waiting in the house and calling Sears. Purchasing this monthly plan has been one of the worse professional experiences of my life.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Used Sears for repairs to dishwasher, washer/dryer, and fridge and have been generally pleased. Have not had much success with HVAC repair in general, and was recently looking for a new company thought I would give Sears a try. I have been without heat for two weeks, this after they determined what part I needed, etc. Said it would take a day or two to get. They scheduled the follow up for two weeks out with an 8-5 repair window. I put it on my calendar, and took the day off from work. Called today to confirm, and the appt had been canceled, and they needed to order the part. No phone call, no nothing. I am annoyed as all get out, but I would really be in state if I had been sitting at home waiting for something that was never going to happen. Not going to be a big surprise when these clowns go completely out of business.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I made an appointment to fix my fridge and the ridiculous wait time for the technician should've gave me a red flag, but I wait for it anyways. After the 12th day of waiting my scheduled date came in and I was waiting at home since I requested a day off from work just to be here and not missed the appointment. But what a surprise. After my "time window" was up I called the customer service dept. to find out where the tech was, and they told me that he already came to my home and nobody was here. I have cameras to proof that no one came even close to my front door or even my driveway.

So I asked for the tech to show up to what they told me that there is nothing they could do, that they were going to schedule another for the next morning. I called today to find out why no one has contacted me and to find out again that the appt was canceled for a second time. This is absolutely ridiculous, because now they wanted me to do a third appt to wait another 17 days for the tech. There is no phone number to actually call to a real representative of Sears, or a complaint dept so they can fix all this mess that they did. They only apologize for the tech, and then apologize for the scheduling dept. Well guess what, that is not going to fix my refrigerator and waiting for a tech for a month is even beyond ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I contracted with Sears Home Warranty about 6 months ago. I contacted them 3 months ago regarding a faulty wall oven. They sent a repair man out fairly quickly and he determined I needed a new part which he ordered while he was still at my house. The part came in about a week later and even I could tell it was the wrong part. They came to install it and said it was the wrong part. So they ordered another part which came quickly but was wrong again. So they placed another order. I haven't heard from them in over a month. I call and all they will say is it is backordered. It has been 3 months since I first contacted them and the oven still doesn't work. I called again and asked to speak to a supervisor. They put me on hold for a few minutes and then hung up on me.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have schedule a repair for the stove I bought from there. I trust it was a credible company and I wanted to sign up for their warranty. The first appointment the device guys call me saying that he can not make it because it’s too late so I had reschedule, then they promise a window from 8-12 and don’t comply. I have to call back Sears and see if they even coming. Customer service keep transferring to schedule appointment to the repair. I also receive a 25 percent coupon I can used for the first time canceling. Horrible. I am looking for a new company that is going to treat their customers with more respect and accountability. I understand things happen. Make it up to the consumer that paying their paycheck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My 10 year old Kenmore Elite oven wasn't heating properly. I called the Sears parts department and was informed of what sounded like a great service warranty which covered older appliances like mine. I signed up and the very next day a technician arrived and ordered a new bake element for me that was going to ship to my address. That was on Oct. 18, 2018.

After waiting for nearly 5 weeks I called Sears and my nightmare began. The warranty call center is located in the Philippines where it quickly becomes obvious that agents deliver scripted messages and profuse apologies but offer no help and no solution. Two days of trying to get help from any other dept. at Sears got me nowhere either. I could not understand why not one person could track my order by calling the manufacturer, which as it turns out happens to be Frigidaire. So I called Frigidaire myself and found no previous order for my part from Sears and therefore I ordered the part myself. Expected arrival is 3 business days, compared to 5 weeks and counting with Sears. It wasn't until a Frigidaire rep put me through to a warranty dept which handles Sears warranty parts and service agreements that I finally learned the cause of the hold up.

Sears is still searching for a parts vendor that has my part. Imagine that! I found and ordered the part in just one minute after making the call to Frigidaire, while the folks at Sears have had 5 weeks and haven't found one for me and didn't even bother to let me know that. And why couldn't they locate one when I had absolutely no problem? I would not recommend a Sears warranty plan to anyone. Unless going round and round with folks in the Philippines who don't do anything more than apologize for your inconvenience, urging you to be patient, is something you enjoy.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

In July 2018, purchased new unit at Sears Costa Mesa, Ca. Total purchase price $1,413.10. After a few minutes of starting unit it makes extreme loud noise and a burning smell. Called Sears and made appointment for the Repair Service to look at the unit. The Repair Service did not show up. I called again and they sent a Repair guy to look at the unit. The repairman did show up but said that he could not wait for a few minutes for the unit to start making noise because his repair schedule was busy. So the Repairman left without looking at the unit.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I ordered a bed set over a month ago to be delivered on 11-08-2018 as it was my daughter's birthday on the Nov. 8. Just got a call today on 11-7-2018 saying it is going to be late. If I could give you guys a ZERO rating I would.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The Kenmore washing machine that we bought last December died in early September. We bought a five-year warranty plan at the time, not that it mattered since this machine is less than a year old. It took two weeks before a Sears Home Services technician could look at the machine (September 28). His diagnosis was a batter water inlet valve. He ordered that and a motherboard (just in case) and set an October 11 date for installation of the parts, which were to be delivered to our house. The day before the planned installation, I called customer service to see what was up. The woman (obviously in a call center in the Indian subcontinent region) noted the parts were on order, but had no idea when they would be delivered and "assured me I would receive a call when they were tracked.

After several more calls over coming days to the Indian subcontinent, with no satisfaction and increasing ire... I finally just called the Sears Parts Direct number and talked to a couple of women (in Texas) who spoke American English as their primary language. The first call slipped when I was placed on hold and I ended up back on the Indian subcontinent... so I called back and talked to Lesley in sales, who assured me that my needed parts would arrive by Friday, November 2 -- nearly two months after the machine died, but... A box arrived on Oct. 31, which I have yet to open. I figured that would be great for the tech who was set to arrive tomorrow (Tuesday, November 6). All is good right?

No... here I am at work on Monday, November 5, when a human automaton from the Indian subcontinent called to inform me the records show that one of the three ordered parts (three?) had not been delivered and that since I wasn't home to open my box, the tech call would be cancelled. So, bottom line, Sears which used to be the gold standard for quality products and services deserves to fade away in inglorious bankruptcy. I will never buy another product from them even if they somehow pull out of this tailspin.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Sears Hometown Store Cleburne, TX - I purchased a dishwasher there, I had issues with it for off and on for 7 months. Luckily we had the protection agreement on it so service said they would replace it. I called the Cleburne store where I purchased it to get it replaced - they told me to go to Hulen Mall. The owner said he didn't have to replace it and I could go somewhere else. So long Cleburne. Reminds me of other big box stores.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My Kenmore Elite stopped cooling and freezing after a little less than four years. I have been unable to reach anyone in the United States or get an answer as to when I can expect resolution. I am waiting for a third repair technician to come out and diagnose the problem. I was informed that only a Sears technician can order parts. Why send not one, but two non-sears technicians to diagnose the issue if they are not capable or authorized to order parts. I have been on the phone with sears eight times and counting with still no repair or update in sight.

I have thrown away hundreds of dollars in groceries and continue to have to spend more money eating out to feed our family of five because Sears has no sense of urgency to fix this problem. I call various toll free numbers, all of which transfer me to either an automated attendant or someone outside of this country who is never able to help me. Management is completely untouchable or doesn't exist. I keep getting the runaround and having to spend my days waiting for a technician who, today in this case has yet to show up. I called to check on his whereabouts and was hung up on by the representative when I asked to speak to a manager! This should be against the law but I don't' even know where to begin to make this right.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Exceptional products with bad customer service is not worth the hassle. I recently purchased a treadmill and had to exchange it for a different brand. Spent over an hour with customer service and transferred at least 5 times only to get hung up on. After 2 weeks of trying to get my problem resolved, Sears at the nerve to tell me, my 30 day for return and exchange has expired. Um, nope; your customer service speaks broken English and couldn't help me when I called numerous times. Shame on you Sears! Over the last 3 years customer service went down. I'M DONE!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased a treadmill recently and had to exchange it for another brand. Spent countless hours with customer service (being transformed 4 times during one call and spent 1 hour on the phone) then got hung up on without issue being solved. It took over 2 weeks to get somewhere and they tried to say that my 30 day return expired. Um, nope; customer service reps speaks broken English and transferred me at least 3-5 times on one call. Products are great with exceptional value but customer service is not worth the hassle. Sorry Sears, over the years customer service has went down. I'm done!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I bought a Kenmore Refrigerator, LG Washer and LG Dryer from Sears with a delivery date of 13 October 2018. Despite moving into my new home and not having either of these appliances, I decided to wait until 13 October 2018. On 11 October, I received a call informing me that delivery was postponed until 17 November 2018. Sears online had my appliances in stock and could deliver them in 2 business days. I requested they deliver them from this warehouse and was told that is not an option, as they are essentially different companies. I decided to cancel the order and purchase the appliances elsewhere, as I need these appliances.

I was repeatedly told to wait 7-10 business days for the credits. 12 Business days passed and I have only received partial refund of 20%. I am denied access to the financial department that processes the refunds and told to wait another 48 hours. Disputing the charge with Sears Mastercard is a joke. You are told to wait 45-90 days. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? A credit card refund takes 3 business days max to reflect on your account. As a business owner, I know this to be a fact! Buyer beware. They are the polite at telling you to piss up a tree.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Called sears.com to purchase a refrigerator and gas range... Was put on hold for 30 minutes. The customer service rep did not know anything. I was very upset...called back the next day, when I should have just went somewhere else. This time I spoke with a Cindy. Again, terrible customer service. She was very uncooperative... Would not let me speak to a supervisor. Just this year I've purchased 2 gas ranges and 2 refrigerators. Trying to buy another set for another one of my properties. There is no accountability for these reps. The way I was spoke to is unacceptable. Sears, are you in charge? The way I was treated, I can see why you are closing down. Get involved with your employees.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I purchased Sears Home Warranty to give me piece of mind with my large appliances. However, they have been anything but helpful. In July 2018, my dishwasher stopped working. In August, 2 different technicians determined that the machine needed to be replaced and reported this to Sears Home Warranty. For the past 2 months, I have been calling Sears Home Warranty once a week to find out when they are going to replace my machine.

Every week, after dealing with complicated automated telephone system for an hour, I speak to a customer service agent who has no authority to actually help me get my dishwasher replaced. They all say the same thing: "it shouldn't take this long", "we don't know what's going on", "It's been sent to the Research Dept", "I have notified the Supervisor Dept..." My favorite lie is "Someone will call you back in 48 business hours, that's how long the process takes." Then, no one calls and I start the process all over again once a week. However, they never forget to take the monthly payment for a service they are not providing. Don't waste your money on this warranty plan. It's less expensive to replace a machine or pay your local repair company on your own.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Through the years me and my husband have relied on Sears to make major appliance purchases, as well as provide service should a repair be necessary. Up until the last 3 years, I would say that Sears came through the majority of the time. It is because of my most recent experience with a drum replacement in my 11 year old Kenmore Elite front loader washing machine that I have decided to not renew our Sears Home Warranty.

While many of the reasons mirror the complaints of the hundreds of other consumers on this site, I feel it important to outline them clearly so that anyone considering using Sears can be forewarned and make an educated decision on whether or not to waste their time and money. 1. Poor customer service - (1-877) number is outsourced to call center overseas; 2. Technicians are overworked leading to errors and lack of ownership and work ethic. Bottom line is they just don't care and it shows; 3. Saturday appointment availability limited; 4. Appointments cancelled at a moment's notice with no explanation; 5. Parts are often not available on trucks and will need to be ordered, thus facilitating the need to schedule yet another appointment.

The bottom line is that Sears has lost its way and in the midst of bankruptcy, consumer satisfaction is the least of their concern, unless they can get your money. I have had enough and after this latest fiasco, have decided to patronize a local family run business who has listened with horror the story of my recent dealings with Sears. To anyone reading this, you have been warned.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased all of my appliances (Kenmore Elite) from Sears - stove, convection microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator... All purchased 5 years ago. My ice maker was having issues I could "live with" (stopped making ice and would occasionally leak), but I called Sears out once my dishwasher stopped working in May. Once the repairman fixed my dishwasher I asked him about my freezer/ice maker, and he encouraged me to sign up for the Sears Home Warranty plan.

It was sold as $75 per additional repair (not visit, but repair), and if Sears couldn't fix the problem, they'd replace the appliance. Too good to be true, right?! Well it was. It is now almost November, and after 4-5 visits from a 3rd party vendor AND Sears most recently, I was told I have a "lemon," but since the door needs to be replaced, they don't cover that! And they will not replace the appliance (door is $800 and replacement around $1400), so here I am, having paid for their warranty program, been sold/told a lie, almost 7 months later, and still a broken freezer.

Atrocious, unacceptable service. The people who answered the phone were decently nice, but the supervisors could not have been less understanding, less empathetic, and came to me with ZERO solutions other than "tough break, sorry." Sears should be ashamed of themselves. I am tempted to go to Best Buy and buy all new Samsung appliances just to get anything that reminds me of Sears out of my life... Too bad I can't afford it, partially because I got conned into buying a false warranty plan.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Our worst experience with Sears in purchasing new appliances (refrigerator/stove/microwave/dishwasher/washer/dryer) four years ago before we retired. Invested a lot of money. Biggest mistake. Our top of the line refrigerator Kenmore Elite has never worked. From the ice maker to the inside of the refrigerator not working. Everything has been replaced and still not working. Lost all my food in fridge due to Our fridge quit working/running. What a massive headache. Our newest Elite washer is a joke. I could go on and on. Plus, who do you speak to someone in another country. They could care less. I’ve been dealing with these problems for months. I am so tired and sick to my stomach. Scheduled appointments are either rescheduled or no show. I’m praying for you Sears CEO. Whoever you are. What happened to loyalty and customer satisfaction. Have a beautiful blessed day.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

It's so difficult to buy a reliable appliance that will not breakdown in less than 5 years (3 for me). The expectation that Sears would be able to provide reasonable customer service when their appliances fail is a fantasy. The customer service program is a call center that has no access to any additional information than the customer already has. The business model is set up so that no one has direct contact with any of the actual parts companies or distributor of parts or even the technician.

Finally, after begging for someone to investigate the whereabouts of the parts, the supervisor, said she would send an email to the "OFFLINE TEAM" and I could expect to hear from them in 2-3 business days. I asked if she would follow up with me in that same time frame so that I would not have to go into the abyss of the 800 number. She said she would put me on her call back list but would not promise that she would call me back. How does one even respond to that? Avoid this company at all costs to your sanity and emotional well being.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

If by some small chance my stove and refrigerator gets repaired under this service warranty, I will be canceling afterwards. These people no regards for your time. They will call or email and say “we’re coming... We’re coming... Oops! You’re rescheduled for the next day." Customer service seems like a call center somewhere in Asia. Anyway Sears... we can’t go through this again. It's no wonder you’re going out of business... You just lost another customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I bought a very expensive Kenmore refrigerator 8 years ago along with the service contract which I have kept renewed. I called on Oct 9 since my freezer door would not close (I have a double door bottom freezer/refrigerator). The earliest appointment I could get was today, October 19. 10 days I had to wait. I just received a phone call and was told the repairman was running late and they canceled my appointment. I had to take the whole day off! Now they said they are coming on Monday, I have to take another day off! With this "Service Contract" I have not received very good service. They have canceled appointments on me 4 previous times. I will never buy another appliance from Sears again. This refrigerator has had to be fixed at least twice a year for various problems!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We purchased a Kenmore dryer for $1,200.00 at the Sears in Portland, ME mall, it was delivered three days after the initial scheduled delivery. To make matter worse the delivery guy was super rude and he didn't even assemble the dryer. Called customer service and explained to them what happened, "we are so sorry for your experience and we will send someone out to assemble your dryer". Hmmm! That was 4 days ago. Guess what? My dryer is still not assembled. Gee thanks Sears for your great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Please think twice before utilizing this company. We are consistently placed on hold, hung up on, yelled at, treated rudely, they never deliver when promised, damaged goods, invoices not received, etc. We are so entirely fed up with doing business with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

FREEZER KEEPS ICING UP!!! 3 REPAIRS LATER, IT'S STILL NOT FIXED UNDER THE MASTER PROTECTION PLAN! They told me at the time of purchase, if it's not fixed after 3 repairs, I get a new one! Now they are changing their story to 4 repairs in one year window I get a replacement. How is that possible when it takes them 3 months to come fix it after parts are delivered? They set it up that way so it runs over a year! What we need is a government that protects us and holds these rip offs accountable for the millions of dollars in faulty cheap, junk, garbage, parts they made our appliances with. One question...Sears! What's the point in buying a master protection plan if your idiots can't figure out what's wrong with our appliances? We not only got ripped off on the appliance, we got ripped off on the master protection plan!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

On June 1, 1016 I purchased a Kenmore french door refrigerator from Sears at Sears Hardware in Shelton, CT for $1,276.19. Generally I was pleased with the purchase, though the ice machine was practically worthless. This past spring, I came home to find the temp had risen in the fridge. I thought my family had left the door ajar and warmed up. (Did not happen in the end.) I unplugged the fridge. Reset it and it cooled down. In the beginning of July (early July) I awoke to find the temp of the fridge has risen, food in the freezer was beginning to thaw. I tried resetting again to no avail. Then began the repair and service.

Luckily I purchased the "insurance" before the arrival... First having to wait almost two weeks for a service person to arrive (though it happened earlier because I kept hitting reschedule and managed to get it earlier). He arrive, within a few minutes said the evaporators needed to be replaced. He ordered the parts, left. Did not arrange for a follow up appointment. I had to do that. And I waited for the parts to arrive and the next reschedule. I never knew the number of boxes to expect. Two arrived and I called only to be told that the third would still have to be delivered.

Finally. ANOTHER TWO WEEK WAIT window... again was able to reschedule. The tech arrived nearly 3 1/2 hours later, installed, recharged the system. Made comment that it was odd the controller/coor did not immediately kick in... but did nothing about it. He repaired and left. "Wait 24 hours" Nearly 40 hours later the temp only dropped to 42 in the fridge and 31 in the freezer before the temp began to climb again. Call again ANOTHER TWO WEEK WAIT. Next Tech. Tinkered with it. Checked compressor. You need a compressor. Wait for part, ANOTHER TWO WEEK WAIT for installation. Third tech. There is no freon in the line. There must be a leak. "Fixed" the leak. Installed compressor and controller switch. Wait 24 hours.

36 hours later neither the freezer nor fridge section dropped below 55. I endured this ALL summer. I gave up. Have to buy a new fridge. called for the 500 "insurance rebate" Was told I had to wait another 24-72 hours before I could get the code so I could purchase a new fridge. I have now not had a working fridge in my house since July 5. August 14 had to buy a new fridge. Had to wait again to get it delivered. It was delivered Aug 18. Two of the door bins were damaged. Never reported by the delivery company. I had to call to order... Wait. Wait. Wait.

Before I file with consumer protection and the BBB, I am reaching out to you. I want the balance left on the new fridge covered. The original fridge should not have failed after only two years on normal household use. The process, stress and general incompetence I have had to deal with deserves nothing less. I have emailed then 4 times with no return contact.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I recently purchased the Sears Home Warranty because I was going to be renting my home. When the technician was there, he made it sounds super simple when needing to file a claim, but the reality is the complete opposite. Every single time I call the number he provided me, I get transferred around at least three different times before I get to the correct department. Why is it so difficult to file a claim? Then, after waiting on hold for another 10 minutes, someone with a heavy accent comes on the line only to keep you holding for another 10 minutes just to file a claim! Just a bunch of dead air, no conversation. They do not even bother to let you know they are still there or what they are doing.

This is by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a company. You have to jump through hoops just to file a claim and their follow through is pretty bad too. I had to call a few weeks ago for the same issue with my refrigerator and they never bothered to tell me that parts needed to be ordered. Whether that was the contractor's responsibility or Sears' responsibility, no one bothered to contact me to let me know. My tenants were without a refrigerator for almost two weeks until I called and complained and miraculously the parts were there the next day for the repair. I am going to be looking for another warranty company because to be quite honest, it is not worth the headache.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We purchased a refrigerator in November 2017. Two months ago the refrigerator stopped getting cold. It took 2 weeks for a technician to show up. The parts needed to be shipped to our home. Well, the parts never arrived. We were without a fridge for seven weeks. I fought with them, over & over again. People are rude on the phone. I finally got approved for a replacement but... there's been so much problems that I want to scream. Three deliveries were scheduled, two were damaged and one didn't show up. I want my money back so BADLY! Now I know why Sears is closing. Where did the good customer service go?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I was mislead and trapped by Sears. Nothing was clearly written under the product description when I placed the order. After placing the order, I wanted to know if the stand will be assembled or not and after waiting couple days I requested them to cancel the order because I won't be able to assemble. I was also informed by email notification the product will be delivered by OCT 5th when I placed the order around SEPT 10th. Not getting any response I contacted Sears back to cancel my order.

Now, the game started from Sears. They contacted me back to inform me that they have no way to cancel the product at this moment. If I do cancel it, I will be charged restocking fee and cancelation fee. I got disappointed by their policy and customer service. At some point, one of the customer agents also assured me that I should get back my whole refund and they will do their intelligence to solve the issue. But finally they didn't give me my whole refund. I shopped around other places, I don't know any policy where a customer should be charged a restocking fee or cancelation fee before the product was even delivered. I would like to file a case against their customer service, their policy and hassling me for no reason for a simple cancelation of a product.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I got the full home coverage including well, septic systems. The coverage was expensive and higher deductible than the other companies. They said it included coverage on boiler plus preventative maintenance. Called them 3 months ago for scheduling the preventative maintenance, they never came in. Today a guy from Sears comes in and says that the boiler is Weil-McLain and that Sears don't cover that brand.

For 3 years I had Sears home warranty and they knew my boiler has always been Weil-McLain. Now I call for the service and they say that they don't cover the brand. Well am sorry I don't have a stupid Sears branded oil burner which would have stopped working completely from day 2 anyway. I ended up cancelling my contract. I really hope that the news about Sears going out of business comes true so that the sorry ** customer service people and technicians who are rude and outright impolite can go figure out their lives. Worst customer service experience also with the technicians. Don't know when the Sears company as a whole went to the dogs.

Sears Company Information