1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5886 Sears Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Unbelievable horrible customer service. Literally it's like they actually want every single customer to leave. I called customer service and they could not help me, escalated to corporate support but no help there either. Finally I called Illinois and was snapped at that no one would talk to me and to write a letter instead. I will definitely be having my attorney do that.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

WARNING - IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING SEARS: DO NOT BUY APPLIANCES FROM ANY SEARS! WE DON’T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO YOU! In September we purchased what we thought was a brand new refrigerator from Sears. Immediately we began to have problems. Sears would not send a service person out. However, Whirlpool did. Thank you Whirlpool. We were informed by the repairman that our “brand new” refrigerator was 5 1/2 years old. Our local Sears said, “Sorry, we are going out of business.“ So we tried Sears Corporation... After many hours and multiple representatives we’ve been told, “Sorry we can’t help you. There is a one year warranty on the appliance. That should suffice.” In other words, “We lied, we sold you a defective appliance and we don't care. And we won't make it right."

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I ordered a Sears trash compactor. Sears schedule the delivery. They gave me a date and time window but never showed. I called back and the Sears representative said they couldn’t tell me why they didn’t show and there wasn’t a reason why they didn’t show but I could reschedule. I rescheduled for two days later, stayed home waiting and again Sears did not show! I am now on my third attempt at waiting on Sears delivery for an item I have already paid for. I’ll let you know what happens.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I ordered a washer and dryer. They were delivered and installed incorrectly. Not balanced, and water reversed hot and cold and drain tube too short so it is stretched beyond belief and crimped. I phoned them several times and spoke to no less than 13 people in no less than 32 30 m calls. I responded to the survey outlining the issue. They called with new installer's appointment. The installer called during the window to tell me they were not coming because they didn’t know how to help me, and didn’t have the right part on the truck. Someone else called to say they would have me call customer service to reschedule. I said I could not bear to make more calls and couldn’t they help me? They said, "Yes. Hold on." And proceeded to disconnect me. Meanwhile a week later no more response from Sears.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

The Sears repair tech came out to my house three hours late to repair my ice maker. Without even looking at it he diagnosed that it needed a whole new unit. Since the cost of the unit was low I decided to have it replaced but opted to install it myself. A week later the unit arrived. I unscrewed the two screws, disconnected the wiring harness, removed the old unit and installed the new one. The whole job took about 90 seconds. A job they wanted $150 to do. I soon learned however, that the unit was broken. It would make ice, dump the ice into the receptacle then jam and make a terrible popping noise as it tried to right itself.

I called Sears to get a replacement and was told that I could buy a new unit but that I had voided the warranty by performing the install myself, something I was not informed of prior to making my decision. It's 2019, I could have just ordered the unit on Amazon, installed it myself and if it didn't work they would have taken it back. This is why Sears is going out of business. I will be doing the above option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Service person evaluated problem with washing machine but couldn't repair it without necessary parts. He told us it would be a 30-minute job once the parts were in. We waited several weeks for a second appointment, which was scheduled between 1 and 5 pm. Service person showed up at 4:55, and took two hours to complete the repair. Four loads of wash later, the washer is malfunctioning in exactly the same way. I tried today to get a third appointment and was told I needed to call back next week because none that works for me was available in the next two weeks. No wonder these guys are in bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have a Master Protection Agreement with Sears, for the last 12 years. On 01/05/19 my refrigerator quit cooling. We lost all food. Technician came today. He found the model/serial number unreadable, so, they said NOTHING they can do. They service this unit several times before BUT NOW that they have to pay for lost of food and maybe a new unit they have a good excuse. They have in the records, the model/serial numbers, they ordered parts before BUT now they think it is another refrigerator...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a repairman to my home to fix my dishwasher on August 15th 2018. I paid 135.20 with my credit card. 2 months later I received a bill in the mail saying I still owed 135.20. I immediately contacted my credit card holder. Received confirmation that Sears was paid. Given payment address, phone number and confirmation number of where money was sent to. I began the battle of contacting Sears. I wrote a dispute letter. Called a phone number given on the bill and was told a claim was opened. 2 months later I received another bill saying if I didn’t pay 135.20 I was being sent to a collection agency. I called back and was told the same thing. That I had to write a letter. I explained to them I already went through this with writing a letter and calling. Can’t they just take care of it? Nope, apparently they cannot and in the meantime the account goes showing I haven’t paid. This is horrible. They can double bill you and then basically not help you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Spent over 40 hours on the phone with them. Same thing over and over. No communication with their different departments. Contractor they sent out had over $5,000 in extras. Ended up paying for the job myself for less than $5,000. Hopefully Sears will reimburse me for the HVAC unit. The contractor also got the unit running then told us to go out and buy carbon monoxide detectors in case the unit malfunctioned. I also had three other contractors look at the job and they would not get the unit running because it was too dangerous.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator on October 7, 2018. From the very beginning the ice maker did not work. I called service and they came out, worked on it, it did not work. The service was out again in December. This has been ongoing and were supposed to be here today 1/15/2019 to repair the ice maker. After calling the service department they said they were not that all parts had not come in. No one called to notify me. They now say it will be 2/4/2019 before a serviceman will be here to repair my refrigerator. I am ready to have Sears pick up the refrigerator, refund my money and go elsewhere to get a refrigerator. This has been going on 4 months and I am tired of the hassle.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

LG range ignitor went out after 2 years. Tech charged me 70 for part & over 250 for service call. That is why they are going out of business scam artist now. What happened to Sears? They don't care about customers or how they are viewed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Had my dishwasher repaired in July, cost $400 for a control board (parts and labor). 6 months later, the same thing happened. Called Sears, they would not honor their repair. Said it was over the 90 days. Wanted us to pay again for technician to come out and I contacted headquarters, they would not authorize someone to come out free of charge. Said I had to call and pay again. Will NEVER buy a Sears product again. No wonder company is going out of business. Good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This warranty is terrible. I have been without a dishwasher for 3 months. We are on our 4th repair technician. I've called them 6 times and been hung up on 3 times. Customer service has stated that their own repair guys are "worthless". At $1000 a year and $100 per service call you are better off burning your money and slapping yourself in the face, then going and buying a replacement appliance. This company is incompetent at best and predatory at worst.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought this plan for 69.99 a month for 1 Year "WHOLE HOUSE PLAN". It covers NOTHING. I have had it for 9 months they came out to do: Furnace maintenance: Took the front panel off put it back on and left. NOTHING else!!! NO filter, No cleaning, No setting the humidifier to winter, He was here 9 minutes. Plumbing: Charged me an 100.00 for someone to come and look (this is what they charge you every time for someone to come LOOK NOT REPAIR to tell me I needed a new faucet and I would have to pay for the faucet and install. Appliance: Dishwasher another 100.00 for the guy to tell me I needed a part that Sears did not cover and 350.00 to put it in!! Are you kidding me? I can buy a new Dishwasher. DO NOT GET SCAMMED AND BUYING THIS!!! If I could I would give it a minus 5.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My experiences with Sears Home Services have been abysmal over the past several months. I have called, emailed and messaged through social media to no avail. Since October 6, 2018 I have been without a functional laundry. First my Whirlpool dryer failed and several visits to repair it were unsuccessful until November 23rd.

For some strange reason my Whirlpool washer failed within 3 days. Because of the holiday we notified Sears Home Services on 11/29. Now, 4 visits and 6 weeks have passed and the washer is still not functional. After 2 more technicians failed yesterday, we requested a replacement washer. This is not allowed “because it was all on 1 ticket and it would have to be on 3 separate tickets. Suffice it to say that our many communications have met with disinterest, feigned concern (immediate responses on Facebook asking me repeatedly to send a private message with my contact information which I then provided more than once without any response) and sometimes extraordinarily rude behavior.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This one star is for the technician that came to diagnose a problem with my range. Otherwise, I would've given Sears a zero if I could. I ordered Sears services for my range. The Tech diagnosed a problem and said that he needs to order a part and will come in 3 weeks to install it. After paying in full for the repair and waiting 3 weeks for the part that technician diagnosed as faulty, they did not show up on the appointment day. I called the customer service to learn that the part is on backorder. Nobody even contacted me! They could not explain how long it'll take to get the part. Customer service manager was extremely rude and hung up on me. I ended up cancelling the order, but now I can't get my money back! All their customer service centers are offshore and each representative is telling me something different. The service after that is HORRIBLE. Please keep yourself out of trouble and do NOT order repair services from Sears.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My water dispenser on my refrigerator was not working so I called Sears since I purchased a repair contract through them for $50 a month. They had done a good job with my stove replacing a heating coil. So I was not expecting any problems. The repair man tried real hard but could not repair it. He actually said sorry. He still charged us the $150.00 service fee. I thought the contract said they guaranteed to fix any problem but then a few months later we found out my refrigerator had been leaking water and was buckling the floor.

I called Sears and complained and they said I could enter a dispute claim. But I had heard since that they just string you along until you get tired of it. So I asked to cancel my contract and after trying super salesmen techniques to get me to stay but I said no thanks. He said that he will cancel my contract but I would be charged $200 for the stove repair because of some clause in the contract. Never mind their guarantee. He said that was besides the fact. I say good riddance. I use to love this service 10 years ago. They actually came out and did preventative maintenance on your appliances. Their service has gone way downhill!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Obviously, Sears was trying to frustrate me into paying their fraudulent invoice by making it so extremely difficult to get the fraudulent invoice reversed – i.e. no customer service org which will even speak to me about the correction, just your insistence that I need to submit a “letter of dispute” to get the invalid invoice corrected. What happened: It took you 3 tries to get the icemaker on my freezer fixed. 10/25/18 – service technicians attempted repair unsuccessfully – the icemaker never worked after this call. At this time I paid a whopping $461.07. I was told I had a 90-day warranty on the repair which would cover parts and labor. Replaced the entire icemaker but not sure if that was even the problem, they claimed it was.

11/3/18 – service technician came out again but didn’t have the part – ok, understandable. 11/13/18 – finally got the repair done successfully. Possibly this time they finally diagnosed the problem correctly. The receipt stated “The repair is valued at 367.27. This service performed at no charge”. 36 days later on 12/19/2018, Sears cut me an invoice (not received until early in January), which claimed I owed another 337.27 for the third service call which was supposed to be covered under my warranty, with 35 day terms of payment, even though this invoice was sent 36 days after that service call. It claimed that any amount left unpaid after 95 days will be referred to collections.

What’s almost worse is the experience of trying to get the fraudulent invoice canceled. On 1/7/2018, I called the number on the invoice of the billing department, and after trying for an hour to explain the situation to their offshore service, they referred me to another phone number. The other phone number tried to sell me a home monitoring health service, and when I declined that, tried to sell me a cruise which they claimed would only cost me $65, then hung up on me. Called the billing number back and after another hour of trying to explain the issue to their inept offshore guy, he finally explained to me that I had to submit this “letter of dispute” to get the billing issue resolved even though he obviously had all the information needed to resolve the issue.

Next I chatted with someone on the home services website. They sent me an email which gave me another number which stated in their greeting that billing disputes could only be resolved via a letter of dispute. The other number it provided for additional assistance was not available in my area, it simply didn’t even work. I felt it was only reasonable that I should not need to submit a letter, so I again chatted with a representative who gave me another number, this time it seemed to be US-based and I was hopeful that somebody would have common sense and since they had all of the needed information, would simply cancel the invoice, but no, again was told I needed the letter of dispute. Truly horrible service, and obviously aimed at making the consumer give up and pay the invoice rather than face collections and credit problems.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Sears came out to see what was wrong with my dryer, they said it was the heating element, they told me how much it would cost and that the part would need to be ordered. Based on the amount to repair, I asked if I could think about it because I could possibly buy a new dryer for the amount to repair. The repairman told me I have 30 days and I could call back for the repair if I changed my mind. So I declined the estimate. I have since decided to have it repaired so I called them today, and they have to send another person out to diagnose the problem (already done in the first appt), charge me another diagnostic fee ($99) which they offered to give me 50% off, but they could not guarantee the repairman would have the part.

That seems asinine to me when they came out before said, "What part needed to be replaced." Why can't they ensure the part is ordered and the repairman can come and just fix it. So long story I am pissed off that if I decide to go with them that they can't guarantee the truck will have the part I need and they will have to come back. So I am looking at least another week waiting for the part. What a way to gouge customers for the additional diagnostic fee and make them wait even longer. Unsatisfied.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In September 2018, my refrigerator was not working, so contacted Sears Home Warranty. They sent out a repairman 6 different times, and never fixed it. The last time they said I needed a compressor. Well they installed a compressor and refrigerator would still not work, and they determined the compressor was defective and would have to order another one. While trying to fix the refrigerator, they leaned against back wall and damaged a wall to wall mirror, along with leaving the refrigerator hose leaking which caused the hardwood floor in adjoining room to buckle. Well this was the last straw, and after two months of coming out and me being without a refrigerator, I told them I had to buy a new refrigerator and send them the bill for the cost to replace it, fix my mirror, and floor. To this date, January 7, 2019, they have not settled my claim.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have had many experiences with service technicians and in general, I try to get 2 estimates and talk to my husband before making any decision about repairs. This usually isn't a problem since usually the technician doesn't have the required part anyway and needs to order it and return for the repair even if I made a decision immediately. Sears has a policy where if customers don't make a decision immediately, they have to pay for a second diagnostic fee. Not only was this not made clear to me when I met with my technician (I specifically asked), Sears would not budge on accommodating when I told them I was told by my technician that I could decide later. If you need time to think before agreeing to spend hundreds of dollars on a repair, don't bother with Sears Appliance Repair.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator with a five year extended warranty approximately a year ago. It stopped working 12/21/2018. I immediately scheduled a repair with Sears for 12/25/2018. When no repairman showed up, I called the repair company who said they didn't work Christmas but would come the next day. They didn't show up on 12/26/2018 and rescheduled for 12/27/2018. No show. Rescheduled to 12/28/2018. No show. I called Sears to complain and request a different service provider. They gave me an appointment date of 1/3/2019. When no one showed up I discovered they had rescheduled with the same company. I called the repair company and they said that they were in the neighborhood and would I mind if they came later that evening. No show.

Today Sears tells me that the appointment was rescheduled for today. No one informed me even though they have my email and phone number. I am hiring another company and moving on. Apparently I cannot sue because Sears is in bankruptcy and all claims will be put on hold. WORST APPLIANCE EXPERIENCE EVER. Multiple phone calls to Sears, transferred around, disconnected, called back and I cannot be connected to anyone with any authority to authorize another repair shop or refund me my warranty money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have a Sears Home Warranty Policy in good standing. My dishwasher went out Sept 30, 2018. Called Sears. Service provider came the next week, determined the problem, sent to Sears, Sears sent service provider, came back the next week - with the wrong part to a different brand of Dishwasher, Provider sent part back-- they acknowledged that they received part.

Over the time period from Mid Oct to today Dec. 3, 2019 I have been told-- the part is on the way, they don't make the part any longer but trying to find it, my warranty has been canceled, my warranty has not been cancelled, they can't find the part, someone will install a new dishwasher-- and today they have found the part and it is on the way to the service provider-- who has not answered his phone in 3 weeks-- and no matter who you talk to they have to send info to someone else. That is the policy.

Asked to speak to supervisor-- who would contact me in the order received. Supervisor called at 10:00pm the next night after someone else told me the provider would install a new dishwasher between the 3rd and 5th of Dec. The supervisor assumed the matter had been settled so did I until I contacted Sears to tell them I could not get a hold of the service provider. When I was informed that if that service provider was not available we would have to start all over with a new one. Hate to even tell my husband this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My wife and I purchased the Sears Home Warranty. This fiasco started in early November 2018. The dispenser on our washer wasn't working properly, specifically the fabric softener. We called the Sears Home Warranty. A Sears technician came out the first time, troubleshoot and said the dispenser pull out drawer needed to be replaced. He ordered the part. The part was supposed to be replaced 1 week later. We discovered that washer machine after his visit would not work at all. We called to inform Sears Home Warranty about this. A week later, I took the morning off of work so that I could meet the technician to let him in to replace the part.

At around 11:00 AM my wife called Sears Home Warranty wanting to know what happened to the technician. We were informed that he didn't come because he was sick. We asked why didn't we get a phone call to tell us. If we hadn't called, I would have waited well past the deadline when he was supposed to show up. We rescheduled but I was reluctant to take more of my personal time off of work so we requested they come out after we got home from work or on the weekend. After some debate and discussion, a contractor on behalf of Sears Home Warranty was assigned to come out. He came out on a Saturday. He said the part that the Sears tech ordered would not have fixed the problem and he diagnosed that a water valve was needed. He said he would order the part and come out the next Saturday. Good thing I didn't take off of work this time because he didn't show up or cared to call to say he wasn't coming.

We called Cross Country Home Services. This is the insurance company that pays for the home warranty. We complained that 2 techs had come out on 2 separate occasions but no part had been replaced. On 2 occasions when the tech was to replace the part neither showed up or cared to call to say they weren't coming. We spent the next month calling and talking to several case managers, complaining about what had happened. Another contractor worker was assigned from another contract company. He came out and diagnosed that a board needed to be ordered. He said the procedure was he had to call the warranty company to get approval for the part to be ordered. The warranty company said it would have to be reviewed.

After a week went by we called to find out the status. We were informed that part was ordered and shipped and the contractor should have received the part on December 27. We called the contractor on December 27. He said he was out on the road and he would check to see if the part came in after he got home. He never called back. Once again we called the home warranty people on December 31 to see what the status was on when we can expect to get our washer machine repaired. They said the part was shipped to contractor and he would contact us to schedule to come out and put he part in. I told the case manager that we had called the contractor and he didn't call us back. They said they would call the contractor. The contractor called around 3:00 PM on December 31 and said that he would come out on January 2 between 4:00 and 8:00 PM. He never showed up or called.

Today is December 3. We have had with to total failure to get our washer machine repaired after 2 months and a week now. We are starting here to get the word out. DO NOT purchase the Sears Home Warranty plan. It is not worth the paper it is written on. Our next step is to call the corporate office of Cross Country Home Services. We also will contact Sears corporate to see if we can get any help there. We are also considering contacting one of the investigative reporting of one or more of the local TV stations in the Dallas Fort Worth areas to see if they can help us in any way.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

On December 8th I purchased a pressure washer on Sears Online Shopping, sold by SugarHouse Marketplace for a Christmas present for my husband. It was to be delivered on December 21st. It is January 2, 2019 and it never arrived. On December 20th it arrived at FEDEX Smartpost in New Berlin WI and sat there for 6 days. I reached out to Sears customer service on 12/26/18 concerned that it had been stolen (more than likely by a postal worker) as the shipment tracking appeared suspicious. Sears customer service rep said that they would look into it and follow up with me. Thereafter the tracking information showed movement of the package I was expecting. However my intuition was telling me that the tracking information was a facade due to the package was moving further north of the country and I live South. Texas to be specific.

Today I received an email that my package was delivered. Location, Skandia, MI. I have reached out to Sears customer service again and spoke with a supervisor by the name of Kent who assures me that he will contact the vendor. This is no use to me as I am out of money, which 60.00 of it was for the delivery fee and the gift that my husband wanted has never been received. I have requested my money back and will be purchasing the pressure washer from another retailer. Kent states that it will take 5-7 business days to return the funds back to my checking account. There was no apology given. My Christmas gift will be given in mid January. Please learn from my experience. Do business with a retailer that is not going out of business, and offers stellar customer service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Sears came out. Worked on appliance. Done. I paid in full the bill by CC to repair man. 6 months later company wants $80.00 more. No proof I own on their part. No signature by me. Nothing. Cannot get them to understand I paid what was owed even though they see I did. Very unreasonable. Been fighting this for 4 months. They are so unreasonable. I will never own or use an item or service from them again... BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

The Sears Home Warranty is a total SCAM. I purchased a whole house warranty and have contacted them 4 times about my dryer. 3 of the 4 times they sent a contractor, SilverTech, to fix it. The 1st time they came out they wrapped aluminum foil around a part and said it was fixed (it was not), then they sent one of their people to fix it and it was good for a while. The 3rd time they sent SilverTech and they changed a part and it was fixed for about a month.

Today the same SilverTech contractor came to my home and was very rude. He went to the dryer, turned it on a d then walked out of my home telling me he had to call to see how the company wanted to handle the situation and then drove off. I called the contractor twice and was sent to voicemail. I got a hold of Sears and they told me the contractor said the problem was due to overstuffing the dryer and it was nothing they could do. I am livid. This is a complete lie so they could collect money and shift responsibility. I will be contacting the BBB and Consumer Affairs on both companies.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

When I requested an estimate for my kitchen remodel I was advised it is a 90 minute process. The Project Consultant arrived on time and with proper identification. However, there was no measuring of my floor, countertops or cabinets. The quote I was given were approximates. For example the cost to replace my floor is $6,000 - $8,000. Sears is the 3rd business I've requested estimates from and the previous companies measured and also provided suggestions. The Consultant arrive @5 pm and left @5:23 (so much for that 90 minute process). The Consultant offered no suggestions and didn't want to take a seat so my husband and I could discuss this further with him. Needless to say, if they are not interest, neither are we.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

After 7 weeks of waiting for parts I finally get an appointment to get my dishwasher fixed, after taking the day off work I get a phone call at 4pm saying my appointment is going to have to be reschedule. Once I call to reschedule I'm told the next available appointment is 8 days out- mind you I just went through the holidays with no dishwasher and spending close to $300 on paper products. I go through the procedure, schedule the appointment 8 days out. Day of the appointment comes and I get a phone call at 4 pm saying I need to reschedule- get the same BS on the phone about being 7 days out. Unbelievably frustrated, someone has got to have an answer out there.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Talked into an Extra warranty for my Toshiba TV. The picture went out and I called in September to use my warranty and they sent a service man out October 3. He said it was unfixable and they would have to get me a new T.V. Back and forth from October 3 until now and still I have to call them. It has been about 20 phone calls and no action. I am now at the point I need to see if AARP can help me. Very disappointed because in my life Sears was the most dependable company around. Now it's terrible. I feel like I was taken advantage because of my age. Sincerely, disappointed and frustrated customer.

Sears Company Information