Sears

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered and paid for a refrigerator. I was told delivery would be between 4-6 today. I waited out front of the building. We called 3 times wondering if they were going to come. Each time the customer service representative told us the driver would call 30 minutes before arrival. No phone call. No delivery. We called again at 7 pm, still waiting out front and I was told the drivers came and left because nobody was home and nobody answered the phone, so the delivery drivers went home. All lies, no phone call, no truck pulled up. What a joke. No wonder they are closing 150 stores. I cancelled my order. I'll buy somewhere else. I suggest you do as well.

We returned from vacation on February 18th, while we were gone our refrigerator quit working. On the 19th I started calling to get repair done. On the 21st the repair man came, a part had to be ordered. He would return on March 7th for repair. He came, put in new compressor, left and refrigerator still does not work. On March 14th repairman came back, work on refrigerator and it still does not work. He will be back on the 28th. So far 30+ days without a refrigerator.

All of this has been very maddening but not nearly as bad as all the uncaring, disrespectful people I have talked to on the phone taking care of this repair. I have called every number I can find spending two to three hours at a time on the phone. I have been hung up on by half of the people I've called and all but two of the rest have acted like they didn't care. I even had two people tell me it wasn't their problem.

We have always used Sears and bought the Kenmore elite thinking it would be the best. The first one we got home never did work and it took a month to get it replaced. We purchased the Master Protection Agreement and would like some satisfaction or all our money back and we will find somewhere that cares about their customers.

CHEATING!! CHEATING!! CHEATING!! On 3/13/2017, I ordered Sears duct cleaning online and a professional came to my house. He said he has to count the ducts and review and made my bill from $400 to $7500 (approx). When I said I'm not ready for that he cut down to $1154 (approx). I signed the credit card authorization. Later within minutes decided not to get the work done and asked to do dryer vent cleaning for $189 + 15 service charges. He accepted and created another invoice and made me sign. I asked him to cancel the first one. He said I would get a call in 10 min with credit card cancellation confirmation number.

He didn't give canceled invoice or the invoice for the dryer vent cleaning. I realized it after they left. I immediately called the number 703-339-5888 and informed. The customer service people said, they contacted the dispatcher and he would come to give me the invoices. Nobody ever came and gave me the invoice. My credit card was charged two times for a total of $1354 (approx). I have been calling Sears quality control (703-687-1872) and Customer service at (703-339-5888) for last one week multiple times a day. So far my issue is not resolved.

If I could give less than 1 star I would. Today I had an appointment to get my washing machine repaired. The appointment window was from 8am to noon. I arranged my work schedule to accommodate. After 6 reminder phone calls and emails about when my appointment window was, I look today on their real time tracking and my window has been moved to noon to 2pm, with no phone call letting me know this.

This is the 2nd time the repair technician is coming out to look at the same problem - which obviously wasn't fixed the first time. So after talking to their customer representative about my choices. We're to take more time off work and wait today or wait 2 weeks for the next appointment they could give me. I will never buy anything from Sears again. I will call my local repair shops and see what brands they service, then buy that brand. Only buy Sears appliances if you want to wait a month for repairs and have them have to make multiple trips out to make the repair.

Called Sears Service to fix my leaking water heater. They sent out an amateur from A&E. I thought I was getting Sears Service. I guess there is no longer a Sears Service (they didn't tell me that). He wanted almost $400 for gaskets! More than a new dishwasher. They knew that ahead of time and didn't tell me that either. They just wanted the service fee $59.00. If you just want to throw away $59 like I just did, call Sears Service. Better to save your money and go elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

My dad was sold the insurance policy where the salesperson assured them all appliances were covered. In having the AC unit fixed, the claim was denied due to pre-existing conditions. Any salesperson should have the knowledge to inform buyers of the key points, especially if you're selling a policy to an elderly. I tried reasoning with Sears, as I truly believe they mislead my dad, but I was faced with poor customer service.

If you buy electrical appliances from Sears you might be at the mercy of the poor service of the Sears Repair Services. I bought a washing machine from them less than a year ago and have been trying unsuccessfully to have their technician repair it. I have been waiting 8 weeks for my machine to be repaired. Twice during this time the Sears technician did not show up to do the repair, nor did he call to make alternative arrangements. It is also impossible to call him because he does not answer his phone. You cannot leave a message for him to call you back because his mailbox is full (and has been full the entire 8 weeks). 8 Weeks later and my washing machine is still not repaired.

What is worse is that after the technician did not turn up - I have to start from scratch by making an appointment for a service all over again and wait a week and a half before the technician is supposed to arrive - if he arrives at all! Well, after today... I'm ready never ever to do business with Middle GA Sales & Service nor with Sears who makes use of them to do the repair work. Stay away from them and Sears - and Sears Master Service Plan as well!

I went into Sears with my daughter into Braintree store and wait for 2 hours and my daughter and I open up a credit card shop around. Customer service really was awful couldn't find anyone to help us. Tried to find someone to Help us and every time asked someone to help they turn around and walk away. That is bad. No one knows what they are doing. I will never walk into that store again. Couldn't buy anything. Store sucks.

I would rate this company Zero stars if I could! My AC does not work and I called them on Saturday. I was told that they would have a technician call me within 24 hours to schedule and appointment to service it. Keep in mind that this is their product and is under their warranty. Every year I have to call them to repair the system, ie, failed circuit boards, etc. This is the third such repair issue in less than a year. They were here last August for a repair.

I contacted the company again today as I had not heard anything from a technician to schedule an appointment, and I was told that they have no techs in the area, and they are "trying to find someone to do the work, and it may be at least a week or more to find someone", that if I try to find a HVAC tech on my own to repair the system, that I void the warranty. So, I have something under warranty that I can't their own people here to fix, and if I find someone to fix the issue and pay out of pocket, no warranty. This is totally unacceptable!! I will NEVER use SEARS for anything EVER again!

I have a Sears home warranty (SHW) covering my appliances. When I was first sold on it I specifically asked if this covered existing appliances since I bought a home with existing appliances. They said yes they are covered and if they couldn't repair it they would replace it with a new, comparable unit. They never sent me my service contract. My refrigerator went out 4 weeks ago. The freezer was working but the refrigerator part wasn't. The first tech they sent out spent all of 2 minutes there, didn't check anything and said he couldn't fix it. The second one that came out spent a considerable amount of time on it. After they were done the freezer stopped working.

Then SHW sent out a 3rd company. They looked it over and suggested a few things to replace and said they'd be in touch. The following day SHW called and said they'd be replacing my fridge. They then offered to replace my unit with a $1000 unit that does not come close to fitting in the dimensions that I had given them. A comparable unit would be at least $6000. They have been giving me conflicting talking points and have flat out lied. I've been hung up on 3 times. I spoke to the 3rd tech and he said that he tried to give them the diagnosis and SHW told him that it wasn't necessary. SHW then told me that due to the 3 reports from the different service companies they couldn't do anything further. I have yet to read a positive review for this company. It seems like their methodology is to frustrate the customer to the point where they just give up. The only was that these companies learn is unfortunately through the courts.

I ordered a gas range online with Sears. The online process was smooth. I selected the installation kit for 27.99, delivery and basic hook up for 69.99, and no additional warranty. Everything seemed fine in the receipt and confirmation email. The delivery was to arrive a week later. On delivery day, I received a call saying the gas range will arrive at my house with no basic hook up. The haul away only exists when the stove is unplugged and unattached to the gas line. This is shocking considering I paid 25.00 for haul away. Where was this detail online? When I questioned installation, the men said, "That is between you and Sears." My previous bad experiences with my refrigerator from Home Depot made me tell the deliverymen, "I don't want the gas range." They passed my house. I stopped a possible nightmare in delivery, but my customer service experience was no better.

The customer service department tried to help, but the outcome I received didn't solve the problem. Through endless runarounds calling and chatting with various customer service departments, I found out that installation is separate from delivery. The 69.99 was for delivery ONLY. I called the installation department at Sears to find out the price of installation. Installation is $129.99 EXTRA plus parts. If the parts needed to install the gas range doesn't come with the installation kit, I would have to pay ADDITIONAL MONEY for those parts ON TOP OF INSTALLATION. I already paid 500.00 to purchase the gas range and I have to pay extra? The whole experience was depressing. I feel deceived because this fine print is unavailable online. I ended up canceling my order from Sears. In closing, this speaks volumes about the kind of store Sears is.

It has been over a year that I've been calling for services for my washer. They have came out a few times and yet still I am having the same issue. I was aware that if a tech comes out for the first I am suppose to pay a $60 fee, and if they have to come out for the same issue there is no service fee. Today I had to call to schedule a service for the same product and now I was told that after 90 days then I have to pay a $60 fee, which I wasn't aware of from the beginning of me signing up. I am very dissatisfied with their service. Customer service is the worst.

On 3-12-17 I ordered 5 sets of dishes each on sale for 62.99 x5. When my order came through and I got an email receipt it said I was charged 69.99. I called Sears and said it's on sale for 62$. She said "that's what you were charged". I argued for an hour explaining that I got charged 69$ each. It says it on my receipt... she couldn't help. I went and talked to another rep. He found the mistake and fixed it for 62$ each. My total for these dishes was 319$. I found the same thing on Kohl's for total of 260$ With tax included! Plus 40$ Kohl's cash! I called and cancelled my order at Sears right away the same day. 2 hours after I made the order.

Called a couple days later to see why my money isn't back in the account. They said I have to wait till the 20th and come to the store and cancel when the product comes in because it's in transit! I said no. The product should never been sent out. It was sent out Monday!!! I cancelled Sunday! I don't have to go visit this product. I don't have time for this. So they said they would fix it. And I will get my money back by Friday. So I called a couple days later to check. Nobody cancelled my order! So it was "cancelled" again. And I received an email it was cancelled AND I would have to go to The store after this product comes in to cancel.

Called again and I requested to get my money back... I was told I would get it by Friday. Then told I will receive an email about request to get my money back before this order even arrives. I'll get an email? I did not! This is speaking to corporate Monica **. She promised that I will get this email. I never did. Called again! And was told my best option is to wait till product arrives to the store and then it would take 3-5 days after that to REQUEST my money back!!! So 2 weeks after I cancel a purchase I might get my money back?!! I will never ever go to Sears in my life!!! Worst company ever!!! Corporate is same idiots as the representatives! They say things and nothing gets done!

My husband and I were in the process of buying a new house. We decided to get our fridge, washer, & dryer from Sears because they had layaway and our house wasn't going to be built for another 2 months. We finally moved in and paid the layaway off. We had a date set and the day before we got the call saying our delivery would be between 4:30-6:30. We waited and the time came and passed. Finally, at 7:30, delivery showed up with only the hookups for the washer and dryer. We asked if there was more in the truck to which they laughed and said no and left. We called customer service who was of no help. They told us that the order was cancelled then when we asked for a manager they told us that the order was delayed. We then ended up going to the actual store and they called and emailed. They found out the following day that the whole order was deleted from their system.

Being upset and in a new house with no fridge, washer, and dryer for a week was taking a toll on us. They then said they would reorder the items and set up a new delivery. The original delivery was suppose to be on a Friday and the earliest they could set it up was the following Tuesday. We decided that since we got them on sale we would wait for Tuesday. I got the call the night before saying my window was from 12-2. I took a long lunch from work and sat at home and waited and waited and waited. Finally, at 3pm I had given up. I called customer service again and said this is the second time and my items aren't here. They once again said the order was delayed. I then called the store again saying my items aren't here again for the second time. I stopped by the store and asked again "Where are my items? This is the second time."

They then called and emailed again and said they items were on a truck that never arrived and someone should have called me to cancel. They apologized for that and said they would set up a new delivery. I did not want to trust them again with another delivery because I have been waiting. They set up a new delivery for Friday and said they would take money off once the items were delivered. The items were finally delivered a week later than they were supposed to with 2 other failed attempts.

The people who installed the items did not want to be there because they placed our items in the house and didn't install anything with care. We ended up moving the dryer and saw they just shoved the vent tube into the wall splitting the tube down the middle. I also never got any money back from Sears. After the biggest headache of my life, I will never show at Sears again if I want home delivery. The system is so disconnected that information gets lost in the process.

I bought a 50 gallon water heater from Sears, I'm thrilled that I bought the full warranty. It was installed by plumber, worked for year & couple month. Then Sears had to put in thermopile, then it started putting itself out. Had Sears come again in Nov. But they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It kept going out. In March 14,'17 they came again. Nothing wrong, it did it again on 3-15-17. AGAIN NOTHING WRONG!! So once again called Sears, after 1 & 1/2 on the phone after the serviceman refused to come back, they ordered everything that could be replaced. So it's Thursday so maybe I will have water heater in a week or so. Very soon I will have the money to get a tankless heater. Then I'm going to take this PIECE OF ** to the local store & give it back to them.

I purchased a washer and dryer from Kenmore, thinking that they would at least be the same height. When I wanted to exchange the dryer I got transferred to customers services that did not speak clearly. Very hard to understand. They wanted me to give them my credit card, for the difference but could not give me an online receipt which I thought was strange. I then purchased a prepaid credit card which they claim they cannot accept. I was transferred to 5 customer service, they all didn't speak clear. At the end, I just decided to keep the stupid dryer. And Sears will never see me again in their store...

The first time I called Sears today to ask about the cost of shutters as between their products I was transferred, told I had been transferred to the wrong department, by the person who then picked up the phone and then told I would be transferred on further and then I was hung up on without further contact from Sears. I directly called back and got Serge in Montreal, the same person who transferred me incorrectly. He was going to direct me back to exactly the people who had just hung up on me. I told him that I just wanted to ask the shutter people about a pricing q. He said that I could not be in contact with the shutter people directly, unless I provided a home address. I said, "you don't need to know that as I just gave you my name and my contact phone number and the subject of my call." He said that I was not allowed to talk to his manager and that he could not pass along my message to the shutter people.

I did remind him that this was all on tape as promised by Sears when I called in. So there it is Sears, you are broken. Your customer service has an overall rating of 1. Given that I obtained exactly zero service I would give you a negative number review. If that was possible. Honestly, get your act together. I am finishing this review and am calling your competition. You know, people who will talk to me on the phone and have a clue about customer service.

I only gave one star because there was no way to give less. We have been waiting a month to get repair tech to repair leaking washer and dryer that won't heat. Now I am told I have to wait another two weeks for services. No wonder Sears is failing. DO NOT BUY APPLIANCES FROM SEARS unless you want to do without service.

So tax time and I look over the air conditioning system we had installed a year ago. The system was $10,600 and that includes service and parts for 5 years. We have been paying this off on a monthly basis and the interest on the Citi Sears card they issued is about 14%. My wife was led to believe this would be interest-free for a set period but it certainly does not seem that way.

When I ask them for a copy of the contract they say that it is online and sent us a password to access it. The password gives us access to the cost of the unit. And details about the specifications etc. I am under the impression that the guy who came with his speech that went on forever was not forthright in all the details relating to the sale. I have tried to contact the various individuals like the District Production Manager Todd **. Sales Managers Charles ** and Al ** and the District General Manager Ronnie **.

For some strange reason they all share the same phone number which us just the number you would call Sears for any kind of inquiry. This is very annoying. Terrible service and by the way when the sales guy came out to give his tedious pitch he went into my loft and put his foot through the ceiling. And when the guy came to install the a/c he put his foot through the ceiling. I think if you want an air conditioning system and you contact these characters you really do need your head examined.

Purchased an elliptical on the Feb. 16th was to be delivered on the 24th. Took the day off work to receive, no one showed up. Sears calls again on the following Tuesday to say "your order will be out this Friday." So my wife took a day off to receive but nobody showed up. Call Sears.ca to ask for some sort of compensation, no commitment was provided and one month later still no delivery and Sears is asking me if I received my elliptical yet, because they have no idea where my shipment is. Long and short of it is my family took two days off work to be home when Sears.ca said they were coming, they did not deliver and we are out $400. I'll not shop at Sears for a very long time and even longer until I try their online department again. Brutal service and I spoke with 5 or more employees/managers over a period of 27 days, and no elliptical.

I cancelled an order. I was told it was cancelled and not to worry. When I asked for a verification number I was told an email would be sent to me with all info. I never got email and now I see the order was processed and could not speak with anyone. I will never deal with Sears again if they do not make this right. This is so aggravating.

I have spoken with the customer service people multiple times. They tell me the technicians will help me, and, I am under the 90 day warranty. I have a recall on my machine. The first technician came out and put the wrong part in my machine. He was outrageously disrespectful to me. Of course, he refused to wait to see if the machine worked because he knew it was the wrong part. Then, I rescheduled to have the correct work done.

Today, the technician called me and yelled at me, demanding proof of the recall and insisted that I would have to pay for service, even though 4 people in customer service told me I would not be charged for parts or labor today. Roger should be fired. The technicians come out and they are belligerent and disrespectful to me, refusing to do the repair work, not showing up, cancelling the appointment without my permission. How many technicians am I supposed to go thru before I get my washing machine fixed? Why is Sears putting up with these belligerent technicians abusing their customers?

I have had a Sears maintenance contract for 10 years paying $600 per year for my appliance. I had an issue with an electric Dryer. I called Sears in January to have it fixed. It took them until March 9, 2017 before they discovered the issue. It took 3 appointments. In the time being I had to rent a dryer at my personal experience and paid over $200 in laundromat expenses. I was so displease with their service that I'm cancelling my contract.

I live in a small town in North Carolina. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to repair my washing machine. Half an hour after they were due, they called to cancel and then so graciously rescheduled me more than 2 weeks from today. It shouldn't take 5 weeks to get a technician to you. At 61 I think I learned another valuable lesson. SHOP LOCAL.

It's been a frustrating three months. The first dishwasher was broken, the second one leaks! Every call into Sears is a maddening experience, and now total they have been to my home four times. Now they say they can't refund my money as it's taken too long, even though scheduling each installation or repair visit takes a couple weeks, and they didn't show up one time on the scheduled date. Please, please take my advice and don't use Sears for anything. I know they are close to going out of business, which is another reason not to use them for anything.

We noticed our 2 1/2 year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator was not cooling and called for a repair on February 28th. Sears sent out a technician that same day because they said our repair was an "emergency". The technician said it was the compressor and said he would need to order a new one. The next available time for Sears to send someone to install it would be Friday, March 10!!! Seriously?!? The part was delivered on Monday, March 6th! March 10th rolled around and the service technician shows up around 1 pm and come to find out he didn't have any gas for his welder to install the new compressor! Really?!? One would have thought if you're going to be welding a compressor you'd need to check to make sure you had gas before you showed up at the customer's house.

The technician left to get gas for his welder and almost two hours later he was back to repair our fridge. While he was working on the fridge he told us the model we have is a piece of crap and would could expect more problems in the future!!! OMG!!! After 2 hours of installing the new compressor he left around 6 pm. It has been 12 hrs and our fridge is still not cooling! I called the home repair line earlier today where they told me this was consider another "emergency" but it would be March 21st before someone would be able to come out to look at the fridge!!! Are you kidding me!?! We are going on day 11 with no fridge and looking at another 10 for them to just come look at it! We have several people in our town that work on small appliances but they can't touch it because it's a Sears product!!! I'm at my wits end with Sears! I will never purchase another appliance from them. Their customer service is terrible!

Was given a time the tech would arrive between 1:00-5:00 pm. After tech did not show at 5:00, I called Sears and was told he was running late and the new window was 5:00-700 pm. Still no tech then, call again and told I have been rescheduled in 14 days for the "service" call. Never received a call from Sears about delay let alone the ridiculous 2 week wait for repair. Cannot imagine how this company stays in business. This is in the top five of all time worst business dealings ever. There will never be anything Sears in this house again.

I bought a refrigerator 5 months ago and they never gave me a manual. Now the refrigerator is saying I need to change the air and water filter. I called the store but after trying for 3 hours and never getting a person, I asked for management. Never got them either. So I called customer service. They told me, "The air filter was in the back of the refrigerator." I should pull out the huge thing and replace the filter. I said, "I couldn't do that" so they made an appointment.

When no one came, I called customer service again. They told me I had no appointment. I could replace the filters myself. They were inside the refrigerator. But since I don't have a manual, I don't know how to do this. I am a 75-year-old widow. I have always bought Sears appliances. I just hope I live long enough to need something else, so I cannot buy a Sears product. Sears is not the company they used to be. It is sad to see a company go downhill. I'm sure the product is good, but if the customer service is bad, it's no good to me.

After 2 horrible experiences will never use them again. Called a week ago to schedule repair for my dishwasher. Had to wait a full week for the first appointment. Had a window of 1-5 p.m. Technician called at 2:30 to say he would not be able to make it today because he had too many other appointments. He could not reschedule and told me to call main scheduling number. Rather than correct their mistake by offering to send someone out first thing in the morning, the best they could do was offer me their next available appointment, which was over a week away. The best they would do is offer to send someone sooner if there was a cancellation. Told them to forget. Called local repair shop instead and they are sending someone tomorrow. The last time I called Sears the technician just never showed up. Gave them a second chance this time, but never again.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Water dispenser stopped working late November 2016, called for repair appointment. First available appointment December 16, 2016. Technician stated he would order new pump for door. Returned January 3, 2017 unfortunately it was the wrong pump. Technician reordered door pump and returned January 13, 2017. New pump installed in door but unfortunately water dispenser did not work. Technician then ordered pump for rear of refrigerator. Returned and replaced rear pump on January 25, 2017 and again water dispenser did not work. Technician stated perhaps water line from faucet blocked, my response "why is ice maker still making ice?"

Senior tech came and stated that we needed to change water line and see if that works. We changed water line from faucet to refrigerator. Water dispenser still did not work. We have called, we have chatted online about our ongoing frustration. They have claimed that they would send gift cards to compensate for all the cases of water we've had to purchased even plus a filtered water pitcher. Never received any thing; have also requested several times copy of service agreement. Each time I've called I have requested copy email and hard copy mailed.

Technician returned on February 15, 2017, stated he would order computer board for refrigerator. Technician returned February 27, 2017 but claimed board shipped was no good. Technician stated he would order new board and scheduled to return on March 9, 2017. Last week we received another pump for rear of refrigerator and no board. Plus now our ice maker no longer working as well. Called Sears repair to report ice maker not working and that no board shipped only a 2nd pump for rear of refrigerator. The representative verified no board was order only pump. Have called everyday since Monday and the representatives state the parts department would contact us within 24-48 hrs.

72 hours later I called again Sears repair and again they messaged the parts department. Asked to be transferred again to benefits department to request copy again of service agreement. Told representative also no gift card "whatever they promised" has been received. Benefits representative I spoke with today March 8, 2017, finally was able to provide email of service agreement. This representative stated he would submit a request for replacement of refrigerator.

We purchased refrigerator new online December 2014, with service agreement for 3 years. I've been more than patient but even during these past 4 months; had solicitations of renewal of my service agreement. I told representative that I have grave reservations of renewing the service contract. Now I have to wait to see if they'll approve a replacement. Giving them until this Friday to let me know about replacement of the refrigerator.

Sears Company Profile