1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

148 New York & Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

It started in December when I wanted to order some scarves online for my family that came out to visit me in Texas. When I finally tried to check out, there was an error that I cannot order these items. So I called the customer service line and they tried to order for me and it wouldn't go through. I reached out to my NY&CO card CS and they didn't see any problems with the card. So I just gave up.

Then in January I saw a cute item I wanted online and tried to order again and it was the same thing. Called customer service for my card, everything was fine, called the NY & Company service line, and sent an email to corporate. For some reason they suspended my online account and can only make purchases in store. They didn't give me a reason as to why they suspended my account, and busy a busy single mother I don't have time to go to the store to go shopping. I am so disappointed in NY and company just with the fact they didn't notify me of the suspension or even gave me any details as to why??

Original review: April 2, 2018

They supply a return label but don’t tell you they charge you for the postage. Literally, there is NOWHERE that you are told there is a fee to return using a prepaid label! Customer Service apologized but said there is nothing they can do. She actually seemed embarrassed! Will no longer shop at this store! One thing I can’t stand is a company using deceptive practices. Another long-time customer lost! Too bad as the quality of the items I purchased is top-notch! NY&Co., what happens to quality customer service. You did not used to be like this. In the age of Amazon, this is not. Good luck!???‍♀️

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2018

The NY&CO in Cherry Hill mall is fraudulent. They mailed me a 10.00 use as cash no exclusions coupon reward. I went to use it on my purchase today and the cashier said I can't use it because my items are on sale. I said the coupon says no exclusions, plus the whole store is 40% off. She said yes that is why I cannot use it at all. I told her the coupon says no exclusions and that when will the entire store not be 40% off and she said not for a while and when I asked for a manager there was none there.

I said, "Well I just received this coupon a few days ago and it expires in a few weeks" and she could not provide a date I would be able to use it nor how it can be used since most everything is on sale all the time and it can't be used on sale items. Do me a favor NYCO, don't print out no exclusions on coupons because it is a lie. I will not shop here ever again because it's the same with their City Cash. It says no exclusions but you cant use it on anything either. Stop wasting my time. I spend hundreds of dollars on my City credit card and do not get any usable coupons. I will shop at a store that appreciates its customers by providing real coupons.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I was asked if I wanted a "Rewards" card and the cashier opened up a credit card. I asked her THREE time if this was a credit card that I was giving her my information for and EVERY time she told me NO that it was just a rewards card! I DID NOT WANT a credit card. I have contacted the store manager SEVERAL times, I wrote a letter to their corporate office in New York and nobody seems to care! If I make a mistake at work, it is MY responsibility to fix it. I cannot believe this cashier opened up a credit card in my name knowing I did NOT WANT ONE!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I placed an order today 3/2/2018 online with New York and company, after reviewing my order I noticed that the jacket was now 70$ off of the price I paid $89.00. I had the worst time speaking to both a customer service rep, and the supervisor... At no time did they even try to figure out what happened. I stated if they couldn't help me then I would cancel my order, I was told I couldn't cancel my order, I then stated I would speak to my bank and disputed the charges if they couldn't help me. I was told by the supervisor if I disputed the charges I would not be able to come back to their online catalog again. I stated then so be it, if that's the way they treat long time customers then I won't purchase anything from them. It was an awful experience. I've never had to argue with someone regarding an order. Clearly both the CSR, and the supervisor doesn't care about losing an customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York and Company?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I had used my rewards to place an online order. I took the time to register and update my address, etc. Click and submitted my order... Boom! A message pops up saying that, "This order and size is not available". I thought this is crazy. It never said that there was limited styles and sizes when I was shopping. I again went and placed my order and my rewards were not valid. I had to take an extra 30 minutes to call customer service to have them tell me that they can place the order for my items, but I will have to pay for the items with my credit card and my rewards will be reissued (up to 8 weeks) and credited to my card. I said, "No, thank you" and told them to reissue my rewards and I will place a new order after I receive them. Not too happy with how this issue was handled!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I ordered almost $300 in merchandise almost a month before vacation and it almost took that long to arrive coming from Virginia and I'm in Ohio. That is the best part of my experience!!! I returned a $90 dress, DID everything right... never wore it, packaged properly with the paperwork and return UPS return label provided. 2 weeks later, still no return, tracking says it's in Va... long story short called 14 times in 3 weeks, finally was told that I would receive a refund... just got an email telling me, they will not refund my money because even though it shows I returned it, they lost the package... wtf.

When I called back the supervisor said "I'm sorry. I know you did everything right and we are dead wrong but there is nothing I can do. That's the way they make us handle it." Crazy right... I ask for corporate and he tells me they don't allow them to give us (the public) corporate's info because they know how they screw people!! Outraged is an understatement! I've been flat out robbed!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have been shopping at NY & Company both online and in-stores since 2010. I have consistently found online to offer a better selection, in sizes, styles and workmanship. I remain the same XS size since 2010 and their clothes fit great for work. I always receive many compliments when wearing a NY & Company dress! As for styles, it is honestly so hit or miss. At times, there are many professional, polished dresses that I want and then I can go many months where I feel everything is so cheap and flimsy looking.

There is always a sale online, so everything I purchase is never at full price. I do find that, unfortunately, the numerous coupons I receive in the mail have too many restrictions and will mostly go unused. When it comes to ordering online, I have never been sent the wrong size or wrong product, so I am unable to comment on their return policy or process (thank God!). I do have the RunwayRewards card and feel the rewards program could be vastly improved. I also wished they had an online option of shipping to a local store, as many of the online items are not eligible for in-store pick-up.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I had the worst experience I have ever had in a store (and I used to work in them back in the day) last Sunday and I will never EVER shop here again. I purchased an outfit for my mother in the days leading up to Christmas. I used gift cards that I received from my employer. One ran out so the cashier discarded it, and I put the remainder on another one. Fast forward to after Christmas. My mother died suddenly. She left very little life insurance so we had to pay the funeral expenses out of pocket, so our money was tight. Going through her belongings, I found the outfit with the tags still on it still in the gift bag. My sisters urged me to return it. I kept putting it off but finally decided to get it over with.

At first the cashiers told me I had to take a store credit because I didn't have the receipt. I was willing to do that at that time. But when I mentioned I still had the gift card, they said they could retrieve it which they did. The cashier told me that I had actually used TWO gift cards. I said that was a problem because I didn't have the one that ran out, it was throw away. She said it was no problem. I assumed she put the whole balance on the gift card still in my possession. I left the mall and went to another shopping center to buy ink for my printer which I desperately needed, but had been putting off, figuring I would use the money from the return to offset the cost.

However, when I was ringing up the cashier told me I only had a few dollars on the gift card. Then I looked at the receipt for NY& Co and saw that the cashier had credited both gift cards. How was I supposed to use a credit on a card that I no longer had? I returned to the mall to straighten out the matter. A woman identifying herself as the store manager came to help me.

Long story short, she became rude and confrontational immediately. She said that NY & Company doesn't give credits on gift cards. She behaved as if I had done something wrong, when meanwhile the cashier had made the mistake. She then scolded me for not having the receipt and said I'm only supposed to receive a store credit. I told her my mother died suddenly, the clothes were for her, and I wasn't anticipating ever returning them when I made the purchase. She was all, "Well, I'm sorry, but that's not our problem. NY & Company's policy is without the receipt you get a store credit or if you have the receipt you get the same method of payment. You don't have the receipt and the method of payment is a gift card and we don't credit gift cards so you get a store credit."

I was upset because I had just spent money on the ink thinking I had the refund. I said I didn't want a store credit. She was all like, "Well, that's what you're getting." I asked to speak to the store manager and with a big smirk she said, "I'M the store manager!" I told her I wanted to speak to her boss. She became very flustered and said the woman's name was Stacy but she was not giving me her contact information and I could just get it off the website.

Meanwhile, I had been trying to keep my voice down because I didn't want a scene or to attract attention. She was raising HER voice and everyone in the store was staring at me. I couldn't take anymore of this, so I picked up the receipt from the counter and walked out before I burst into tears. This woman was already clearly getting off from this. Did I mention that the transaction was for 26.80? As I walked out of the store, she screeched, "Ma'am, don't you want your money?" So that everyone in the store turned around and watched me leave. I am never shopping there again. I was a loyal customer (as was my mother)! and stopped there every time I went to the mall. I was a Rewards customer and had a credit card with them. I will never spend another penny there again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I returned an item I bought online which cost 29.99 before tax and shipping. The total I paid was 40.01. I only get a credit of 25.49, which is crazy. I was told by a customer service representative I was charged for shipping the item back. That's crazy, who does that. I paid shipping two times. I don't agree with that. I will not be purchasing any more from New York and Company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Please don’t get this card. I have been a cardholder for 3 years. I have paid all my balances off every month and have never gone over my limit. Recently I received a notice from the credit bureaus that the credit limit on my NYC card had decreased. I called customer care and they could not offer me any information other than they reviewed my credit report in June 2017 and on Jan 11, 2018 decided to reduce my limit to $100. I have excellent credit scores. They still have not been able to explain their decision. They are not worth the hassle!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I love this clothing store; I have not complaints, however the credit card is a joke regarding the rewards program. NY & C always have some promo or huge sale and the rewards are NEVER valid! I recently received a $40 off coupon, with no restrictions, well guess what, was not able to use it!!! When you call customer service, they basically can do nothing nor can a supervisor. I got the CC mainly for the "rewards," I will not ever use this cc again, it will eventually cancel itself out!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

On October 26, 2017, I went to return an item to the store, which was the amount of 15 dollars, in which I chose a blouse that the price was $49.95, but that day there was a New York promotion that the blouse came out With the 30% discount at $35 minus the $15 on my return, I paid by paying $20 with the New York & Company card. The statement tells me otherwise. They recharged the 35 dollars and they never gave me the refund discount, I have the proof of receipt. It was only those 2 transactions that were made that day.

Seeing this I started to check the previous transactions and found many anomalies. On August 8, 2017 I found another transaction of the return and they recharged me the same amount that same day, but that same day I bought a blouse no more and it cost that amount but I used my rewards that I only ended up paying $10.12 and the store I charge the card the full price, I also have the receipt. We have to be careful because we buy and buy and trust the transactions they make but we do not check the balance sheets with the transactions, we keep all our receipts.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I WOULD GIVE A ZERO OUT OF FIVE IF I COULD!!! I was offered to apply a credit card in one of their stores and they said they would give a 15% discount on my first purchase. Obviously, like any new customer I was attracted to the offer and applied for the card and was approved instantly, but I was told that card would be mailed to me. I offered to pay off the amount that I used from the credit card on the SAME DAY but I was not allowed to do it!

Later, I got busy with work and life. I moved several times in 2 months and couldn't receive the card. I couldn't access my account without the card and their software is so messed up. The customer care representatives were so dumb and rude. I called their customer when I was in India and asked them to change my payment date so that I can come back to USA and pay it. But the dumb stupid representative did not record the change of payment and now the customer representative says she cannot do anything about it. I'm very unsatisfied with their credit card system and their rude service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I've been a longtime customer with NY & Co. for over 20 years. I shopped both in-store and online with more online in my more recent years. We all know that they have different sales daily and therefore have or used to have a price adjustment policy. I just recently purchased 34 items online and the very next day, all 34 items went on sale. I requested to get a price adjustment through their live chat and the online CS representative said that they no longer do that. She said that I have to repurchase each item and return the higher price item in-store when I receive them. Yes, I can do that, but how inconvenient is that? Yet, the stores will still honor price adjustments within 14 days.

I've received a price adjustment before by just calling their 800 number for an online order and now, they will no longer do that because according to their rep, "We run different sales every day, that is why we will not honor to price match. The item maybe even cheaper tomorrow." That is the case at any stores. Items are may be higher or cheaper on any given day or week. That is why price adjustments exist. Why have one policy in-store and a different one online?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Returned damaged sunglasses to me and did not credit my account. I called immediately as soon I received defective glasses. Told I had to pay for return postage. Instead I used a return label from another NY & Co. purchase. To show their level of nastiness they returned the defective glasses back to me in a tattered box. I have spend hundred of dollars at NY & Company, but because of their defective product and disrespectful customer service, it no longer matters to me what they sell, because NY & Company has shown they are not worthy of me as a loyal customer. I was shopping at Lerner's when I was a teen. NY & Company has lost a customer for life. No way to try on glasses because of damaged frame.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

BEWARE: I put three things in my cart and was charged for multiple additional things. I called customer service, which was more than a 10 minute hold time to be told that I had surpassed my 10 minute online cancellation period. I now have to wait until all my many items are shipped and then return it all the store which the closest one is 30+ minutes away. The customer service was embarrassing for such an established store. I will never order anything else online.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I’m an extremely loyal long time customer of NYCO for decades and also Runway rewards premium member. But I don’t think they will get my business anymore with the kind of ridiculous customer service I’ve been getting over the phone and also obnoxious manager I encountered at NYCO store in Harlem Irving Plaza (HIP) mall of Chicago. This is 6th time in a single year that my online order has been canceled out of unavailability. After taking the pain of browsing through the website and placing an order and an order # being generated, my order got canceled for 6th time saying “out of stock”. NYCO works on the business model of changing their prices every single day and sometimes few times a day but they don’t update their inventory only to disappoint customers.

I’ve seen other reviews here mentioning same disappointment about not being able to order. In my case, it’s even worse. I received 6 cancellations in an year after my order going through. Customer service over the phone is even worse and if you shop at HIP, Chicago then keep in mind the store manager who is extremely rude and ridiculous and behaves like she’s doing charity or some kind of favor and always talks with a tinge of sarcasm. HIP is the only closest store and even that is 30+min drive so I mostly shop online. The few times I went, the store manager came across really rude than her other staff when I went to pick up my online order. I much rather take my business elsewhere to other stores where I get quality goods and treated with respect than stick with NYCO anymore.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I was shopping at Cross County Mall Yonkers NY seeking Black boots. I had shopped online for the past 6 years and decided to do "face-to-face" retailing. I entered shop early afternoon today. Establishment was quite empty. I was not greeted, by retailers. I asked for black boots which I wanted to purchase. I was directed via finger, by what appeared to be a manager to look under shelves on floor where boots were located. After a few minutes of bending, I told an associate, I recently had surgery; difficult to bend. She said, "oh I can help you with that." She proceeded to find my size and bring me to the dressing-room where I could sit to try boots on.

The boots were over-knee styled, there were over 30 pieces of small tissue stuffed in the boot. As she fiddled with hangers, I was struggling with removing tissue, so I could try boots on. I was appalled as she knew I was struggling, and did not offer assistance. There was still a multitude of tissue stuffed in the boot, I was now frustrated, and said to her, "this is impossible" she said, " I know, they do put a lot of tissue in them boots.' I left the store totally disheartened, reminding myself why I shop at home.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Been a customer since late 80's never problem with quality, last April purchased 2 pair of jeans and they've shredded. Called customer service 4x and emailed too everyone says they don't handle. BV/Westlake Mall team is the worst also, but now I might know why because the company has bad customer service and doesn't offer help or solutions.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was on NY & Co. site for an hour choosing Christmas gifts and personal items for myself and not once was there an indication that the items were no longer available. Imagine my disappointment and frustration when after ordering 9 to 10 items, entered my credit card information, excited about my find only to see "Your order was cancelled due to NONE of the items no longer are available"!!! I was in shock and stared at the screen for a few minutes before I realize that my efforts were in vain. I WAS a huge New York and Company patron; however, after that experience my feelings have drastically changed. I would have been ok if while searching for these items I would have received some indication that they were unavailable.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I have been a loyal customer of New York for years and current cardholder. It is so disappointing that their customer service not only in the store but also over the phone is so rude and worthless. Every time I try to ask questions regarding my account, transactions, mistakes they make, or just about anything they try to dismiss you by giving you some other phone number. Then after contacting that phone number they send you right back to the same place where you started. These ladies are also extremely rude and have no idea how to treat their customers. I really like some of their clothes (some are disappointingly cheap though), but it is just disappointing how they treat their customers. I recommend shopping elsewhere unless you have the patience for these people and willing to risk it with some of their pieces.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I'm a good, long-time customer of NYC&CO, excellent status card-owner and recently purchased 4 pairs of the 7th Avenue Pants, which fit perfectly in the store, as usual. These pants have been the only ones that actually work for me. I usually purchase a few to last me a few years, then I'm good for a while. However, when I got home, took that tags off and wore 3 of them in the same week with confidence that they were just like the ones I had purchased before. I washed them according to the instructions, as always, but noticed that they were not fitting as they did before. They hugged my thighs too tightly. I, then, brought them back to the store to exchange them (not get a refund).

Unbeknownst to me, I was shown by the sales clerk that they were in 3 different types of 7th Avenue pants. I had purchased the seasonal stretch, but after trying on the stretch I realized I needed the stretch pants (which were equivalent to the ones I already had). The clerk stated that because the tags were not on the pants, she could not allow even an exchange. So, I ended up just getting a refund for one pair that I did still have the tag on and unworn. I completely disagree with your exchange policy, because how are customers to know for certain a piece of clothing fits until away from the store and maybe washed at least once? An exchange should minimally be provided to keep happy customers satisfied, accept the items that do not work and re-tag, as is done at competitive stores, such as Macy's, etc. I will be satisfied if I am provided an exchange for the right stretch 7th Avenue pants, not a refund.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Tried to use NY cash coupons earned during prior purchase in Yonkers Central Ave store. Not able to due to practically all merchandise have some sort of "deal". Coupon cannot be used if items are already discounted. Everything is ridiculously priced and then discounted in some way so that you are not able to use worthless coupons.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I placed an order for 4 items which all said were in stock. I paid extra for 2 day shipping because I needed these items for a vacation. After three working days I contacted them by email to check status of order, never received a return email. I called them and saleslady said she did not understand why my order had not shipped and that she could go ahead and have it shipped out. She did mention several items were on back order. I told her to cancel the entire order because it would not reach me in time for vacation. She then continued to ask me if there was anything further she could assist me with, well yes, how about making this current order right. Extremely disappointing. After canceling the order, I then received an email saying that my order was still pending and would ship soon... it better not!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

New York & Company Store visited on 9/4/17 located at 409 Gateway Drive Brooklyn, NY. I was disappointed about not being able to take advantage of the 30% discount for Teachers. I explained to the cashier that I do not have a Department of Education ID. I had misplaced it and am in need of a need ID. However, I offered to pull up my most current pay stub and/or my DOE email on my phone. The cashier spoke with a manager who stated that they can only accept an ID. I was confused by this because anyone who is terminated from the DOE could still be in possession of a DOE ID. A pay stub dated for 8/31/17 along with current emails for the new school year is more than enough proof that I am a teacher. Other stores have honored it and I can't understand why ** (Name of manager I was given by cashier) couldn't accommodate.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I placed an order, everything available when placed. I received a coupon to use as a first time customer, and I also was placing an order online with a link sent to order a specific amount for additional monies off. Needless to say, neither coupon code worked and when I called customer service to see if they could help me, the agent was rude, short and said read the fine print! She was of no help at all, so I tried to do my order again online and this time gave up with any discount as I really needed the items for an event. I placed my order and did receive 2 items later that week. But one item was missing. I waited a few more days and nothing. So I called customer service and was told "well your item is available, not sure why it hasn't shipped. I need to put in a ticket and see what's going on with it." I said, "no if it's available just ship it please." She said, "no I have to put in a ticket and someone will get back to you with in 12-24 hours."

No one contacted me and so days later. Now I go back online and it is still available, my order not shipped yet and so I called once more. Now I'm told it could be a week before someone gets back with me! "Just ship it, re-order and ship it please." "No we have to go through the process." She offered a 10% discount, which is useless at this point and none of their other codes or discount don't work. I have never had such poor service or issues when ordering from a company. I did contact corporate and have yet to hear from them. I would not recommend them, and will stick with Nordstroms, Express and Marciano from now on. Never 1 issue in 10 years of online ordering with them. First experience was awful with New York & Company!

Updated on 08/18/2017: This is week 4 and still no skirt. They charged me for it, didn't ship it and I've called and chatted 5 times now. Each time I'm told it's available, not sure why it's not shipped and they have to contact the warehouse. "Someone will get back to you in 24-48 hours." That just online chatted again about it and told them at this point "cancel my order and give me a refund." She said, "I will see if it can be canceled. I will have to check with the warehouse!!" I said "NO, I'm tell you as the customer service person to cancel my order right now." She said she is unable to cancel orders. REALLY!!!

I'm not sure at this point what to do, from the first day of my order it was a nightmare. They sent me coupons as a first time customer, which could not be used. They sent an online coupon with a purchase over a certain amount, could use it either. Why? Because the lady said "read the fine print". LOL. I said "What?" Some of the items you picked cannot be purchased with a coupon. I'm done for now because it goes on and on, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

I am on paperless billing; months ago I noticed they were charging me a charge ranging from 15.00 to 17.00 per month for an Account Assurance plan. I never authorized this plan, they apologized. Said it would be removed and my account would be credited. Well, to my surprise, I trusted them to take care of this matter, after all I have been a loyal customer for years. I find out they kept charging me and never removed the charges. I am disgusted on how they have treated this matter. I am waiting to hear back from them. The charges and interest I've been paying on these amounts... It goes back to Jan 2016. I will be canceling my credit card with them and will never shop there again. I will post this in every social media link I can find!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I ordered two shirts in store in May, after a month I called to see why I had not got my order yet since I got the e-mail weeks prior saying my order was shipped. Turned out that it was still in some other store waiting to be picked up for delivery. They said I would hear back within 24 hours regarding my order. A week later I had to call because I had not heard from them. They could tell me nothing about my order and so I asked for a refund. They said that they would put in a request. A few weeks after that I had not yet been refunded and had not heard back from them. I had to call again.

The lady told me that they had refunded me, yet I had my online banking and there was no refund showing. She kept reassuring me that they had refunded me and told me to talk to my bank about it. I said that I shouldn't have to spend more time trying to figure out why I do not have my money. Then when she told me the card that it was refunded to, it turns out that they had one number wrong, so they refunded the wrong person. So then they said they will have my money refunded after 3-5 business days. (Still waiting for that to happen). I also tried to leave a review on a link they sent me for the order, but everytime I tried to post the review the screen said, "Oops, something went wrong, please try again later." Terrible company and terrible customer service.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I order online item that I did received. Decided I wanted to return. Went back online to see what was their return policies. Per the item ordered it showed had to be returned by mail. There was no return label in package as stated online. I called customer service. Was told I could take item to the store. I said several times it said no store return then I was told the warehouse sends out labels with items so therefore since there is no label I need to pay for shipping and send back. I explain that I wanted a label so there is a tracking number and that NYC is aware that the item is in process of being returned. The CS person responded, "You can always call us and give us the tracking number and do you need anything else." My response - "NO." Item was paid per PayPal. Will get them to cancel payment.

New York & Company Company Information