1.15/5

185 New York & Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have shopped at NY&CO for decades. I had a terrible experience in the late 2000's and stopped shopping with them for quite a few years. Well, over the last three years I started shopping with them again and even though the majority of their products are poor quality and do not fit well, I'd somehow find a gem in every order that made it worth coming back. I recently sent a return back through the mail with a request to exchange one shirt and I never received the exchange. When I inquired about it they said I never sent the shirt back, which I did. Then on a different mail return they sent me the product back and said I was past the 45 day window (which I wouldn't have been had it not taken them over two weeks to process my return)! So stuck with a product I can't wear. And the straw that broke the camel's back happened this past week.

I had a pair of pants I needed to exchange and decided to go into the store to do it due to the previous issues I had when returning stuff through the mail. When I went into the store I wasn't greeted and the girl who came to the registers seemed annoyed. I didn't have the receipt for the item but I had the email confirmation and she acted as though that wasn't sufficient and that she needed my NY&Co credit card which I didn't have on me. She talked to me as if I was a five year old just learning English. She was then annoyed that she had to call to get my credit card information. Once she looked it up she let me know I was past the 45 days and there was nothing she could do. I was shocked because she didn't even try to help me or save the sale. She gave literally no ** whatsoever about what my needs were.

I was surprised, irritated, and asked to speak to someone who could help me and she said there was no one there who could help me because their return policy is a strict 45 days and if I don't like it to file a complaint with the company. Well guess what, I don't like it and here I am. I will NEVER shop with this establishment again. I have already canceled my credit card which I have spent thousands of dollars on to support this organization. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have experienced discrepancies with my Online orders with NY&C for over a year. The first tjme I paid for the dress in a store and was told that I could go to another store and pick the dress up, WELL that was a problem. The store didn’t understand how I could pay at another store and pick the dress up at a store that had the dress in stock. After dealing with the store and calling Customer Service I was finally allowed to get the dress.

Fast forward to June, I went in a store to get 2 tops, a white one and a leopard. They didn’t have either top in my size. I was provided the item number for both tops by the clerk. I immediately called and placed an order for both the white and leopard tops using my credit card. A few days later I received two of the very same white top and not the leopard top. I called customer service and I returned the white top to the store and was given a credit. They were to send me another leopard top which I was charge for. Well for the next two or three days I received a leopard top every day. A total of three of the same leopard tops and I was charge for each.

After contacting customer service again I attempted to get this resolved. I was told to return two of the tops in the same packaging with the one return label and I would be credited. Well as of today I am still trying to get a credit for the two tops that I returned. They only want to give me credit for one. New York and Company need to really work on their online shipping process because it is nothing but a fiasco. And I will not place another order with them until they get it corrected.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Very upset customer. I purchased 3 14 tall pants. I wore them and got a lot of compliments. The fit was perfect. The length was even better! However, once I washed and dried the pants they’re now 2 inches shorter! The shrinkage is horrible. I basically gave New York and Company $70. I’m pissed up because I can not nor will not wear flooding pants to work! Especially, when I bought the size I needed!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I guess I should have read these reviews before purchasing with New York & Co. I will never purchase online with them again. When making my order, I was going to buy an XS, but there was a True Fit message that suggested that I order a Small. I entered my measurements and again it suggested that I get a Small, so I did. However, after waiting a week to receive my item, when I tried it on, it was too big. At first, I tried to exchange it in the stores. I went to two different stores but they didn't have my item in my size. The representatives in the store were not friendly and did not ask to help me. So, I tried to exchange the item online, but there was no exchange process listed.

So, I called customer service and again, the representative was not friendly or helpful. I asked her about exchanging. I had to wait a while and then she explained how to ship it back. She didn't address my request for an exchange. She also said that I would have to pay more than $6 for shipping to return it. She said I would have to repurchase the item, but of course, the price has gone up since I purchased. It should not be this difficult just to switch sizes. I will never shop at NY & Co. online again, and I will think twice about shopping with them at all.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I shop quite frequently at New York and Company. I am a realtor and I like to look professional at all times. I always receive compliments on the clothing I purchase. I normally order online because they do not carry a lot of merchandise in my size (XS) in store. I wait until the clothing and jewelry are on sale - they have fabulous sales. If you combine earned City Cash with their sales then you get a lot of merchandise at a steal of a price. Sizing can be somewhat inconsistent. Their jewelry is gorgeous but some do change color after several wears - Not a huge deal for me because I purchase them all when they are on sale for $5.

My only complaint is that they changed the return policy, reducing the days from 60 to 45. I bought a dress on sale for $50, but never wore it (I gained weight). Imagine my surprise when I went to return it in store and was told that I was outside of the 45 days, so the most they could do would be to issue a gift card in the lowest amount the dress cost- $4.99!! I paid over $50!!! I was furious. Aside from the return policy, I am quite happy. I have never had a problem ordering online and returning in store or online.

Most recently, yesterday, to be exact, I made a purchase during the “buy one get three free sale”. After purchasing, one of the free items was canceled. I called to see if I could choose a different free item. They told me “no”, and said they could give me 20% off my next order. When I checked my account online, they charged me only a partial amount ($25) for the item that was the one I was to purchase at full price ($79). It looks as though all of the free items are out of stock. So, although I bought one item and got ZERO of the three free items, I was not charged the full amount ($79) of the item I am receiving. I get a beautiful jumpsuit for $25 instead of $79, so I cannot complain. I advise checking out their website and looking at reviews of the clothing. Most reviews include photos so you can see the quality of the items for yourself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York and Company?

Original review: May 28, 2019

Purchased several items on April 24. One of them was a dress. Wore the dress once. Washed it as per manufactures instruction (because I really love the dress). The dress become undone at the waist at three different places. Brought it back to the store with the receipt on May 23 and they will not refund/exchange it. The reason the tag is not attached. I’ve been purchasing NYC clothing for years and I’ve never had this issue. I will not shop at NYC again. I do not have money to waste.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I started shopping at NY & company last year when I wanted to upgrade my work wardrobe. I purchased many items but I didnt check the materials . I noticed when I wear the shirts I sweat alot and it shows right through..I mean the whole back. I just recently purchased 6 new spring dresses and the same thing happened. I checked the labels and it's all cheap polyester from China..nothing breathable at all. For the prices they charge I just cant belive the poor quality ..unfortunately I will have to stop shopping with them..$89 per dress and they are such bad quality..

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a customer since 2010 and have a NY&C RUNWAY REWARDS card. I was denied a return for defective item. I have ordered thousands of dollars in clothes on my card. This February, I ordered 6 pairs of slacks in different colors and the only pair I didn't wear was the white pair waiting for spring. When I finally pulled them out to wear, the material on one leg was ripped. It had been 60 days. I called Customer Service who isn't very friendly. I was told the 45 day return period is strict even with all tags attached and I would not receive a refund but should regift? After escalating to a supervisor, he quoted me the same strict return policy which used to be 90 days and offered 20% in refund. I took it but will shop elsewhere in the future.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been a customer at New York & Company for many years and also had a store credit card. Last year, I had several issues resulting in me making late payments with this card and a few other credit cards. However, I have been working hard to pay off this debt even paying off the New York & Company credit card. During this time my credit limit was lowered twice. I had actually not used it because I was trying to pay it completely off. The first time it was lowered, I had already paid off half of the card, the second time it was lowered, was after I paid the card completely off. According to customer service, the company reviews your credit ever 3-6 months to determine your creditworthiness. The problem is when you are trying to rebuild your credit it does not help your score when your revolving credit changes so drastically in a short amount of time.

When I stated this to their “customer care” I was given the contact information for the 3 major credit reporting companies and advised to review my score - how helpful. According to their credit disclosures, your credit is not only based on how you pay them but also other companies. I ended up closing the account because it was not worth having while paying off other companies. Although I have been a customer for over 20 years, I am done. The quality of the clothing has been declining and the prices steadily going up and you can never use the coupons when it would actually count. Not to mention shipping, the card used to include free shipping, now it is only offered during certain promotions.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Poor customer service and scammers. Do not use your bank account and PayPal and gift card online. They will overcharge at checkout and you will not get your money back. SCAMMERS. Clothing is cheap and overpriced.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I made multiple orders last year, sometimes 2 or 3 back to back because I wanted a new wardrobe for work. My mom suggested NY&Co because she had their credit card. BIG MISTAKE. One day, one of the MANY purchases I made was out for delivery. Packages arrive around lunch time and are always there when I get home so I checking the tracking during lunch. To my surprise, my package was being returned to sender. For no reason! I contacted UPS and NY&Co customer service. The incompetent CS rep told me that she would not disclose why the package I had paid for (funds already taken out of my account) was returned to sender. She told me that I would not be receiving a refund. Okay no problem. I paid through PayPal and they have always been helpful with difficult sellers.

I opened a dispute and it must have really peeved them because they blocked my cards and address. In the end I DID get my refund. My mom received collateral damage because her credit card has the same billing address, which was blocked. So she has a piece of plastic that she can't use but is still getting mailers and coupons as if everything is okay. Cue a week ago: I got a new credit card and decided to see if I could order from NY&Co now. The order goes through. Wow! Funds taken from my card, package should be delivered today. Nope. Return to sender. AGAIN. I tried calling about this issue because for some reason my mom still wants to shop there, but NY&Co can KMA. Be warned.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was returning items purchased online, and the sales associate, TJ, apparently was not happy with my returns. He asked if I had kept anything from the two orders. I'm not sure why that was any of his business, but I told him I had kept one item from each order. He said the company would flag me because of my returns and ban me from online shopping. He completed my returns, but his demeanor indicated he was perturbed. I thanked him at the end of the transaction, and he did not utter one word in response. No "thank you," "you're welcome," "have a nice day" or any other response.

However, as I walked away from the counter, he did find his voice and loudly told another sales associate he would report me. My question is, "Report me for what"? I followed company policy, had my receipts and returned the items within the allowable time frame, which has been reduced from 3 months to 1.5 months. I purchase a lot from NY&C and should not be shamed by a sales associate for returning items I no longer want or need. This is a horrible way to treat customers, and I must seriously rethink giving this store my business. As I told TJ, this is not the only store in the country where I can shop. I did nothing wrong.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I've been a customer with New York & Company since they were Lerner (90% of my clothes come from this company). When they were Lerner, an item did not exceed $50. Now, it's like the company constantly raise their prices to gain from their items that are on sale. I was currently online and an exact shirt I paid $15 for last yr (on sale) is now $29.99 (on sale; regular $49.99). I'm talking about a basic shirt (nothing fancy). My advice to the merchant is, stop with the overpricing. If you're going to have a sale, shoppers need to feel as if they are saving. People like myself who have shopped with this company for years know when your prices are be raised just to make the money back from sales. Basically, it really isn't a sale. Take the true price of the item then mark it down. Don't raise a t-shirt (or any item) price $10-$20 then mark it down to a $5 discount because in reality you're getting the actual price.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

NY & Co charges late fees immediately if payment is not received BY the due date and before 8pm central time. When you open the account they NEVER say that. On my first statement received I paid my full balance by 10pm. The follows month I received a $27 late fee. I called them to see if the fee could be waived since it was my first statement and I wasn’t aware of the posting times. First it was really hard to talk to a representative. The automatic system is the worst. When I was finally able to speak with someone it was not a good experience. They don’t care if you’re a loyal customer, if it’s your first time nothing matters. I closed my account and will not be shopping with them anymore.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I ordered clothes online. Tried them on and the tops didn’t fit well. Circled all three items on the invoice as requested by New York & Company. Shipped back to them with their own label. Two days later I received an email that my account has been credited for one item. Contacted their customer service and emailed them. I don’t know how many calls I made to them regarding the matter. Not a single day did they contact me to tell me what was the status of the investigation. In my mind they basically concluded I was lying. I had to pay the full amount for items I don’t have and close the account which will affect my credit. This company is nothing but a scam. It never occurred to me that anything like this could happen. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been a loyal customer with New York and Company for several years. Trying to exchange two pair of shoes has been the worst experience I have ever had. *Big Alert* Their footwear is not true to size.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

NY&Co charges late fees immediately if payment is not received BY the due date. There is no grace period, and they are not understanding of any type of situation which might cause your payment to be late, internet outages or being out of the country. Sure, you can pre-schedule your payments, but this is not convenient for some people including myself, as I prefer to choose how much I pay every month and this is often over the minimum payment and based on my budget for that month and the next. I will be closing my account with this company after I pay off my balance.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I bought a pair of pants for $15; I was told I could get a refund within 45 days of purchase. I went back 47 days later with my receipt, expecting to get a store credit. I was told the receipt had "expired" and they could only give me the lowest price the pants sold for, $4.99. I was not expecting anything other than a store credit for the $15 I paid. I had the receipt showing the amount I paid! I have been a customer for some years now and have their credit card. Never shopping there again. I earn my money honestly and I don't appreciate being robbed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would like to make you aware and lodge a complaint regarding the service I have received while trying to redeem a coupon that your company sent to me to celebrate my birthday. I have tried for the better part of two weeks to use this coupon and yet have been unable to do so. I have tried to find something in the ONE store that is within 300 miles of my home which is nearly impossible considering there is nearly no stock in your store so I am left with trying to redeem online. Yet I cannot because everything is one sale and apparently even though there are no exclusions written on the back of the card you are unable to use if the item is on sale which of course every item is on sale online so therefore I am unable to use the coupon.

I have tried on multiple occasions to get assistance from customer service both by chat and by phone and am continually treated as if I am stupid and can't read. I am neither. THERE ARE NO EXCLUSIONS WRITTEN ON THE BACK OF THE COUPON CARD. I do not appreciate being spoken to as if I am stupid. I have over 25 years in retail and retail management. I am well aware of how coupons, etc work. My problem is DO NOT send a coupon to someone that cannot be used online especially given you have so few physical stores left. If I could use the coupon in store I would but I can't. I should not have to purchase something at full price just to use a coupon.

I have been a long time customer of your company but over the years I shop there less and less mainly because your product is not what it used to be and because I am continually treated like then when trying to use discounts and coupons. It is 10 dollars - I mean really. If you are that hard you for 10 dollars you really should not be sending them out to customers. Must less a coupon that is supposed to be a thank you and best wishes for their birthday. I will never step foot in one of your stores again. I will be filing a complaint with every organization I can think of regarding your policies and I will make sure that anyone I know is aware of how you treat customers over a 10 dollar discount. You have lost a long term customer. You should be ashamed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Came into the store located in Jacksonville Florida at The Avenues Mall. This store is absolutely neglected. There are major dust balls all over the floor, under the clothing racks and in the corners. The pylons are badly chipped and pieces of the corners missing from them. There appears to be hundreds of pieces of tape still stuck to the walls that have never been removed from past displays. There appears to be black paint drippings of some type located all throughout the store on the tile floor. There are numerous tiles that are chipped on the corners and cracked. One wall has the top layer that has been ripped off from very sticky tape it appears and showing brown spots of wood underneath. Have numerous pictures, just not sure if I will be able to post on this site. My wife says that she will not be coming back.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I ordered an item during their buy one full price get three free promotion. After my order was placed one of the free items was canceled by the company. Since that wasn’t fair I contacted customer service and was told to purchase a new qualifying item and I would then be refunded for it. I did this, purchased a qualifying item that was even less than the canceled item, and when I was refunded I was only refunded for about half of it. I complained to customer service and said that wasn’t right, it was a replacement for a free item and they gave me some ridiculous explanation about calculations and percentages based on the full price item. I went back and forth trying to get them to understand and they simply did not. I will not shop there again and the quality of their clothes is very poor to begin with for the prices. Awful store and customer service. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

You had two people working and one lady who was nice at the register with 10 people in line. The other lady who was a manager was so rude, I heard a customer ask her a question - the manager said to the customer with a loud voice, "You have to look for it and if you don’t see it I guess we don’t have it." Then the manager stormed through all of us in line yelling, "Excuse me." I will never go back to Christiana Mall New York & Company again - very nasty management. Horrible 1st experience. Store # 784.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I stopped shopping at New York & Company because of the cheap material. I made three purchases a couple of months ago, shirt & pants barely worn, and the thread started to unravel. Most people would say, "Just take it back!" Who has the time to waste. Their clothes are too expensive for the messiness. I prefer to just not shop there.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been a customer with New York & Company for many years. Even when they were known as Lerner New York. I am always ordering from them at least once a month. However, I recently purchases 6 pair of pants from them and had to return 3 pair because they were too small. My complaint is that they immediately take money from your account or bill your credit card but it takes them forever to refund your money. I have called customer service three times within the last 5 days and have been told my refund is processing. I used their return label and tracked my return and they have received it. I haven't received an email from them yet. Every time I call customer service, I am told it's processing. Why can't I receive any answer regarding my refund or do they just keep your funds until they decide to refund you? This is awful. When I made the purchase, New York & Company did not have to wait on my payments.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I ordered two pair of pants - one in honey gold and the other in dusty rose. They look beautiful on the online site catalog. When the honey gold came it was a weird-looking yellow material and color inside the bag that I received the pants in was a return label (hassle free) when I returned it and it was processed. I paid a little over $20 on sale for the pants but they credited only $14.95.

When I called customer service they said, "When you use that label inside, we take it out of your refund." This is false advertising. There is nowhere anywhere that says other than “hassle free” returns that you will be deducted the shipping amount when NYC includes it in your return info. More less than 1s in a review should be allowed. I would not and will not order from them again. Cheap quality looking products. $54 dollars off sale. NO WAY! This is the worst company taking your money and shipping you poor quality marked up products and using the hassle free as a bait and switch.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered a November shirt for my Birthday. I ordered a 3x. I wear 2x-3x in shirts. I received the shirt after waiting almost 2 weeks for them to ship it. The shirt is way too big. A 3x looked more like a 5x, so I emailed them and called. All I wanted was to return the shirt and get a refund, they kept giving me the run around. I get a email stating they sent me another shirt that I didn't want. All I wanted was to return the shirt and get a refund. This is the worse company to buy from. I will never order from them again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

First of all, I would like to start by saying, I consider myself as a very good customer of NY & CO. I place anywhere from 1 or orders a month. Here is what I do not like... I purchased a dress on sale for $44.47. I checked the website a few days later and noticed the dress was now $22.47... ok, so I tried to reorder the dress so I could send the other back because I already knew from a previous experience similar, this company does not offer price adjustments (I will get to that in a minute). Anyhow, by the time I went to check out my cart was empty, I immediately went back to put the dress back in my cart and it was then sold out. I called customer service and explained my situation to her and requested a price adjustment. The c/s rep informed me that they do not offer price adjustments. I would have to reorder the dress.

I proceeded to explain how that was wrong on so many levels... first of all, it was a matter of days that I am requesting the price adjustment, not weeks or a month (even though some stores give you that timeframe for adjustments). Second off, you want customers to reorder an item, turn around and waste our time to send the other back, wait on a refund from the cc company then wait for the reordered item to arrive! That is absolutely ridiculous to have a customer to jump through those types of hoops! I work very hard for my money and do not appreciate paying $44 for a dress then within days you drop it to $22 and then tell me too bad too sad we’re keeping your $22! That is bad business and no way to treat your customers!

If this situation is not rectified in my favor, I will be returning the $130 order for a refund and will take my business elsewhere. I wanted to purchase a jacket but was very reluctant because for 1, I am waiting on the outcome of this situation & 2, the jacket is 40% off now, who's to say after I order it then a few days or week later it’s 75% off, then I’m losing money again. Your company really needs to fix this issue by allowing a certain grace period for price adjustments where customers are not left feeling ripped off or scammed!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Thanks for the crappy service and not posting my review New York and Co. You guys sent me a blouse filled with make up stains and didn’t approve my review because I thought the top was worn, way to go.

Original review: July 23, 2018

By far the worst experience ever. I received a $20 coupon via email and went to the Auburn Hills store same day to redeem the coupon. The clerk was unable to redeem the coupon and made a phone call to try and redeem manually. The person on the line informed the clerk that there was a glitch in the system and it would not be possible to redeem the coupon. I was told to come back in a couple of days. Okay. Well. I had ready selected $78 of merchandise, but you better believe I'll be thinking twice about spending another dollar at this god awful retailer. The coupon stated it is valid between June 25th and Sept 15th. You want me to drive up to the store and spend more money to redeem a coupon that should have been available to me to begin with?! I think NOT. To make it even better, I called the customer service line and they only assist with online purchases. NYC is a JOKE and I will not spent another penny at this crooked business! Shady!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was a long time NY&C customer for many years, I have not shopped with your company in some time, and today my memory was refreshed as to why. I implore ALL of you to log on to the NY&C website and ATTEMPT to make a purchase. All of the advertised "doorbusters" will either be unavailable online, or when you add them to your cart they will have been removed when you go to check out. Most likely about half of everything else you have shopped for at regular price will be removed from your cart as well, even after going back and changing colors/sizes and you think you can successfully purchase an item - nope removed! Then as you check out attempt to use your NY&C credit card... hmm that won't work either. Well I guess it's time to get help from customer service via chat. How odd, after 25 minutes of explaining over chat your problems they can do nothing and advise you to now CALL customer service. OK.

Now after calling and being on hold, explain to the customer service rep your problems. They will explain to you that they have been overwhelmed with complaints and this is happening to EVERYONE! So now put in your order via item # like it's 1986. OH THANK GOODNESS... PROGRESS! Nope, now 3 more items are not available. Now say "I don't care!" Please get what's left of my order in before more gets removed!" Then you will hear "Ma'am, I'm so sorry, your NY&C card isn't working, this has been happening all weekend." So you call the number on the back of your card, but it's Sunday! No one is there to help you! Now go back to the NY&C site, make your purchase with another card - get NO REWARDS, then regret going through with your purchase for the rest of the day and vow NEVER TO SHOP WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

This is outrageous! Type in NY&C reviews into Google search. The first site has a 1 star rating for your company and pages & pages of stories like this! The year is 2018, and you are just a click away from another site that has better service, quicker delivery, and you can ACTUALLY MAKE PURCHASES! Among other things, your coupons and mailers are a sham. Just try and take one into a store and use one, I guarantee you will hear excuses and loopholes, but never a "thank you, you saved X$ today" no exclusions... Give me a break! Shopping should be a fun, enjoyable, relaxing experience. What your company has turned it into is a disgrace. If you are all not actively doing something right this minute, you should seriously be considering a change in career.

New York & Company Company Information