1.14/5
Based on 162 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

170 New York & Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been a loyal customer with New York and Company for several years. Trying to exchange two pair of shoes has been the worst experience I have ever had. *Big Alert* Their footwear is not true to size.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

NY&Co charges late fees immediately if payment is not received BY the due date. There is no grace period, and they are not understanding of any type of situation which might cause your payment to be late, internet outages or being out of the country. Sure, you can pre-schedule your payments, but this is not convenient for some people including myself, as I prefer to choose how much I pay every month and this is often over the minimum payment and based on my budget for that month and the next. I will be closing my account with this company after I pay off my balance.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I bought a pair of pants for $15; I was told I could get a refund within 45 days of purchase. I went back 47 days later with my receipt, expecting to get a store credit. I was told the receipt had "expired" and they could only give me the lowest price the pants sold for, $4.99. I was not expecting anything other than a store credit for the $15 I paid. I had the receipt showing the amount I paid! I have been a customer for some years now and have their credit card. Never shopping there again. I earn my money honestly and I don't appreciate being robbed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would like to make you aware and lodge a complaint regarding the service I have received while trying to redeem a coupon that your company sent to me to celebrate my birthday. I have tried for the better part of two weeks to use this coupon and yet have been unable to do so. I have tried to find something in the ONE store that is within 300 miles of my home which is nearly impossible considering there is nearly no stock in your store so I am left with trying to redeem online. Yet I cannot because everything is one sale and apparently even though there are no exclusions written on the back of the card you are unable to use if the item is on sale which of course every item is on sale online so therefore I am unable to use the coupon.

I have tried on multiple occasions to get assistance from customer service both by chat and by phone and am continually treated as if I am stupid and can't read. I am neither. THERE ARE NO EXCLUSIONS WRITTEN ON THE BACK OF THE COUPON CARD. I do not appreciate being spoken to as if I am stupid. I have over 25 years in retail and retail management. I am well aware of how coupons, etc work. My problem is DO NOT send a coupon to someone that cannot be used online especially given you have so few physical stores left. If I could use the coupon in store I would but I can't. I should not have to purchase something at full price just to use a coupon.

I have been a long time customer of your company but over the years I shop there less and less mainly because your product is not what it used to be and because I am continually treated like then when trying to use discounts and coupons. It is 10 dollars - I mean really. If you are that hard you for 10 dollars you really should not be sending them out to customers. Must less a coupon that is supposed to be a thank you and best wishes for their birthday. I will never step foot in one of your stores again. I will be filing a complaint with every organization I can think of regarding your policies and I will make sure that anyone I know is aware of how you treat customers over a 10 dollar discount. You have lost a long term customer. You should be ashamed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Came into the store located in Jacksonville Florida at The Avenues Mall. This store is absolutely neglected. There are major dust balls all over the floor, under the clothing racks and in the corners. The pylons are badly chipped and pieces of the corners missing from them. There appears to be hundreds of pieces of tape still stuck to the walls that have never been removed from past displays. There appears to be black paint drippings of some type located all throughout the store on the tile floor. There are numerous tiles that are chipped on the corners and cracked. One wall has the top layer that has been ripped off from very sticky tape it appears and showing brown spots of wood underneath. Have numerous pictures, just not sure if I will be able to post on this site. My wife says that she will not be coming back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York and Company?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I ordered an item during their buy one full price get three free promotion. After my order was placed one of the free items was canceled by the company. Since that wasn’t fair I contacted customer service and was told to purchase a new qualifying item and I would then be refunded for it. I did this, purchased a qualifying item that was even less than the canceled item, and when I was refunded I was only refunded for about half of it. I complained to customer service and said that wasn’t right, it was a replacement for a free item and they gave me some ridiculous explanation about calculations and percentages based on the full price item. I went back and forth trying to get them to understand and they simply did not. I will not shop there again and the quality of their clothes is very poor to begin with for the prices. Awful store and customer service. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

You had two people working and one lady who was nice at the register with 10 people in line. The other lady who was a manager was so rude, I heard a customer ask her a question - the manager said to the customer with a loud voice, "You have to look for it and if you don’t see it I guess we don’t have it." Then the manager stormed through all of us in line yelling, "Excuse me." I will never go back to Christiana Mall New York & Company again - very nasty management. Horrible 1st experience. Store # 784.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I stopped shopping at New York & Company because of the cheap material. I made three purchases a couple of months ago, shirt & pants barely worn, and the thread started to unravel. Most people would say, "Just take it back!" Who has the time to waste. Their clothes are too expensive for the messiness. I prefer to just not shop there.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been a customer with New York & Company for many years. Even when they were known as Lerner New York. I am always ordering from them at least once a month. However, I recently purchases 6 pair of pants from them and had to return 3 pair because they were too small. My complaint is that they immediately take money from your account or bill your credit card but it takes them forever to refund your money. I have called customer service three times within the last 5 days and have been told my refund is processing. I used their return label and tracked my return and they have received it. I haven't received an email from them yet. Every time I call customer service, I am told it's processing. Why can't I receive any answer regarding my refund or do they just keep your funds until they decide to refund you? This is awful. When I made the purchase, New York & Company did not have to wait on my payments.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I ordered two pair of pants - one in honey gold and the other in dusty rose. They look beautiful on the online site catalog. When the honey gold came it was a weird-looking yellow material and color inside the bag that I received the pants in was a return label (hassle free) when I returned it and it was processed. I paid a little over $20 on sale for the pants but they credited only $14.95.

When I called customer service they said, "When you use that label inside, we take it out of your refund." This is false advertising. There is nowhere anywhere that says other than “hassle free” returns that you will be deducted the shipping amount when NYC includes it in your return info. More less than 1s in a review should be allowed. I would not and will not order from them again. Cheap quality looking products. $54 dollars off sale. NO WAY! This is the worst company taking your money and shipping you poor quality marked up products and using the hassle free as a bait and switch.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered a November shirt for my Birthday. I ordered a 3x. I wear 2x-3x in shirts. I received the shirt after waiting almost 2 weeks for them to ship it. The shirt is way too big. A 3x looked more like a 5x, so I emailed them and called. All I wanted was to return the shirt and get a refund, they kept giving me the run around. I get a email stating they sent me another shirt that I didn't want. All I wanted was to return the shirt and get a refund. This is the worse company to buy from. I will never order from them again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

First of all, I would like to start by saying, I consider myself as a very good customer of NY & CO. I place anywhere from 1 or orders a month. Here is what I do not like... I purchased a dress on sale for $44.47. I checked the website a few days later and noticed the dress was now $22.47... ok, so I tried to reorder the dress so I could send the other back because I already knew from a previous experience similar, this company does not offer price adjustments (I will get to that in a minute). Anyhow, by the time I went to check out my cart was empty, I immediately went back to put the dress back in my cart and it was then sold out. I called customer service and explained my situation to her and requested a price adjustment. The c/s rep informed me that they do not offer price adjustments. I would have to reorder the dress.

I proceeded to explain how that was wrong on so many levels... first of all, it was a matter of days that I am requesting the price adjustment, not weeks or a month (even though some stores give you that timeframe for adjustments). Second off, you want customers to reorder an item, turn around and waste our time to send the other back, wait on a refund from the cc company then wait for the reordered item to arrive! That is absolutely ridiculous to have a customer to jump through those types of hoops! I work very hard for my money and do not appreciate paying $44 for a dress then within days you drop it to $22 and then tell me too bad too sad we’re keeping your $22! That is bad business and no way to treat your customers!

If this situation is not rectified in my favor, I will be returning the $130 order for a refund and will take my business elsewhere. I wanted to purchase a jacket but was very reluctant because for 1, I am waiting on the outcome of this situation & 2, the jacket is 40% off now, who's to say after I order it then a few days or week later it’s 75% off, then I’m losing money again. Your company really needs to fix this issue by allowing a certain grace period for price adjustments where customers are not left feeling ripped off or scammed!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Thanks for the crappy service and not posting my review New York and Co. You guys sent me a blouse filled with make up stains and didn’t approve my review because I thought the top was worn, way to go.

Original review: July 23, 2018

By far the worst experience ever. I received a $20 coupon via email and went to the Auburn Hills store same day to redeem the coupon. The clerk was unable to redeem the coupon and made a phone call to try and redeem manually. The person on the line informed the clerk that there was a glitch in the system and it would not be possible to redeem the coupon. I was told to come back in a couple of days. Okay. Well. I had ready selected $78 of merchandise, but you better believe I'll be thinking twice about spending another dollar at this god awful retailer. The coupon stated it is valid between June 25th and Sept 15th. You want me to drive up to the store and spend more money to redeem a coupon that should have been available to me to begin with?! I think NOT. To make it even better, I called the customer service line and they only assist with online purchases. NYC is a JOKE and I will not spent another penny at this crooked business! Shady!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was a long time NY&C customer for many years, I have not shopped with your company in some time, and today my memory was refreshed as to why. I implore ALL of you to log on to the NY&C website and ATTEMPT to make a purchase. All of the advertised "doorbusters" will either be unavailable online, or when you add them to your cart they will have been removed when you go to check out. Most likely about half of everything else you have shopped for at regular price will be removed from your cart as well, even after going back and changing colors/sizes and you think you can successfully purchase an item - nope removed! Then as you check out attempt to use your NY&C credit card... hmm that won't work either. Well I guess it's time to get help from customer service via chat. How odd, after 25 minutes of explaining over chat your problems they can do nothing and advise you to now CALL customer service. OK.

Now after calling and being on hold, explain to the customer service rep your problems. They will explain to you that they have been overwhelmed with complaints and this is happening to EVERYONE! So now put in your order via item # like it's 1986. OH THANK GOODNESS... PROGRESS! Nope, now 3 more items are not available. Now say "I don't care!" Please get what's left of my order in before more gets removed!" Then you will hear "Ma'am, I'm so sorry, your NY&C card isn't working, this has been happening all weekend." So you call the number on the back of your card, but it's Sunday! No one is there to help you! Now go back to the NY&C site, make your purchase with another card - get NO REWARDS, then regret going through with your purchase for the rest of the day and vow NEVER TO SHOP WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

This is outrageous! Type in NY&C reviews into Google search. The first site has a 1 star rating for your company and pages & pages of stories like this! The year is 2018, and you are just a click away from another site that has better service, quicker delivery, and you can ACTUALLY MAKE PURCHASES! Among other things, your coupons and mailers are a sham. Just try and take one into a store and use one, I guarantee you will hear excuses and loopholes, but never a "thank you, you saved X$ today" no exclusions... Give me a break! Shopping should be a fun, enjoyable, relaxing experience. What your company has turned it into is a disgrace. If you are all not actively doing something right this minute, you should seriously be considering a change in career.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I visited your store 106 in River Oaks mall on 5/27/18 at approximately 11:45 a.m. and I must say I am completely appalled by the level of customer service I received or lack thereof. Apparently my mom thinks I'm smaller than I actually am so for Mother's Day she bought me some jeans a size 4 and in actuality I need a 6; being that I work in customer service/retail sales as a store manager/District leader it is really hard to find time to shop/return/exchange. So on today I had a little time before I began to celebrate the holiday, so I decided I would exchange the jeans for a size larger at the River Oaks store 106 location because it is 5 mins or less from my home. I went to the store and as I entered there was a lady standing at the front of the store folding some shirts or something. I approached the lady and said, "Hi. How ya doing" because she never said anything to me.

I began to explain to her that I had received these pants as a gift for Mother's Day and I needed to go up 1 size, the lady stated, "I don't know if we have these anymore" so she proceeded to walk to a table at the front to see if they were still available. She then asked if I had a receipt and I told her no they were a gift for Mother's Day and I didn't want anything back. I just needed a larger size, the lady then states, "I don't know if they will take them back without a receipt because the return policy had changed." I asked her, "Not even if I just need a larger size?" She said, "You can take them to the counter and see." I then take the jeans to the counter and again explained that I would like to exchange the jeans for a larger size to a young lady who I assumed was the manager. She then asked me if I have a receipt. I state, "No."

She proceeded to ask if I had the card they were purchased on. I told her, "No. They were a gift for Mother's day and I just needed a larger size." She said without a receipt or the card they were purchased on that she couldn't do anything. I said, "Not even exchange for the same thing just a different size?" She said no. I asked her, "Was that the return policy?" and she stated yes. She stated that they had a new return policy. So after that I am a bit confused because again I have worked in retail for 19 years and I just couldn't believe the level of service at which I had been given. I ended up walking out of the store and I googled the return policy and it stated that returns without a receipt would be an issuance of a merchandise credit.

I never wanted a return. I just wanted an exchange, so that also makes me wonder a bit would the company prefer to issue a merchandise credit and lose money or just do an even exchange and keep the revenue? By this time I'm still a bit thrown off by the service received so I call the store in Chicago Ridge mall and simply asked, what's the company's return policy without a receipt? The young lady at Chicago Ridge mall stated that, "You can exchange the item for the exact same item for a different size." I said, "Oh because I'm here at River Oaks and they told me there was nothing I could do..." She asked me to hold and got back on the phone and said she just wanted to ask the manager to be sure but yes I could bring them over to the Chicago Ridge location and find the size I needed.

I was really grateful because I wanted to wear these jeans this day. After I hung up with the Chicago Ridge location I called store 107 in River Oaks Mall in Calumet City Illinois and asked if I could please have the name of the manager on duty, the person that answered the phone says, "Can I help you?" I said, "Yes. I would like the name of the manager on duty..." She said, "I can place you on hold and you can speak to her." I said, "That's fine..." She placed me on hold for 1 min and 17 seconds which was perfectly fine because they had a few people in the store when I left...

The young lady comes back to the phone and tells me the manager is busy. Would I like to leave a message? I say, "No. I would just like her name." She goes on to say, "Well let me see if I can help you." I said, "Yes you can. Can I please have the name of the manager on duty?" She said, "Can I help you..." I said, "Absolutely. may I please have your name?" The young lady went on to hang up the phone in my face.

So now, there are so Many different things wrong with this experience, it started from the entrance in the store when I was not greeted upon entering. With brick and mortars closing every day I find this experience highly unacceptable, from a customer service rep's level as well as from a consumer level. With all this being said I did attempt to exchange them at the Chicago Ridge location but they did not have the size so in actuality that was more time wasted but the experience there was a bit more pleasant.

So now I do still have the jeans that I wanted to wear this day but at this point I don't want them. My mother has the receipt and the card they were purchased on and happens to work in Chicago Ridge mall. I will have her RETURN them. I just assumed that because I was 5 mins away from the River Oaks location it would be much easier for me to exchange the size. My mother is a frequent shopper with the brand and so is my sister but I will be informing them and others of this very disturbing experience.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I called to make a payment and their machine was screwed up and kept hanging up on me so I had to call back the next day. They still want to give me a late fee and if they take it over the phone $9.00. They don’t have respect for their loyal customers.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Well, I had given up on NY & Co. for many years until this past winter when I revisited their store. I got some pants that fit well in colors I could not find elsewhere. The sizing is incredibly inconsistent, however. I just went and picked up a pair of the same pants in a different color that I could not find in the winter. And I could barely pull them up! I did find a nice pair of walking shorts in the stretch blend that I can't find anywhere else, and they were on sale. But I'm still very much thinking of skipping this store again. Too bad one of their competitors, The Limited, is closed.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for several years, as I really like their pants. However I recently purchased a pair that literally started ripping at the seams within a couple of washes. They refused to replace the pants even though I explained I would be happy with an exchange of their pants for the same kind, I didn't want my money back. These pants normally run for $45 or so and to me they only expect them to last 60-90, and if they don't you are out of luck. Luckily I only spent $15 while they were on sale. I cannot imagine if I had spent more money on something else and they said too bad. Just be aware when you purchase clothing. They will do nothing for you if it is over 2-3 months, even though you still have receipt and pictures, etc.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have been a loyal NY&C shopper for years. I have their credit card also. I attempted to place an order online and it would not process, after several days attempting and many phone calls to customer service, a supervisor finally informed me that, I was no longer able to make purchases online, but was “welcome to shop at a store.” I questioned the reason and was told if you ever disputed a charge with your credit card company you can no longer make purchases online.

This stems from a September 2017 2 day ship order I placed that never came. After speaking with NY&C customer service several days and UPS, I was given the, "We are investigating," by NY&C and UPS flat out said the package arrived at the local site, but was lost, could not be found, and I needed to file a claim with the sending company (NY&C). After waiting way past the delivery date and getting the runaround from NY&C, I file a dispute with my credit card company. My funds were returned.

NY&C’s supervisor tells me it was still being investigated when, I filed my dispute and it could take up to 30-60 days. Yeah, right hold my money hostage for 30 Plus days, not deliver as promised, and suspend my ability to order online. There are too many other options, I can take my business elsewhere. Maybe that’s why every year multiple NY&C stores are being closed, someone missed customer service 101.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I was placing an order online and went to check out using my coupon. The coupon was declined. I chatted with one of their online agents who stated the coupon was turned off due to the overwhelming orders, even though the expiration hadn't expired. Poor Customer Service. No order from me. I'm going to email Gabrielle Union and let her know that she is advertising for a company that has false advertisement.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I used to shop at NY and Co all the time, and then quit out of frustration. The company has a habit of displaying clothes in the catalog and online that are not even available. It is extremely frustrating. However, there was a skirt that I fell in love with, so I decided I would go ahead and look to see if I could find it. GUESS WHAT... It is displayed in a new catalog they sent out and on the main page when you go to the site. However, the skirt is not available. I even took the time to call the online orders person and they could not find it either, and had no idea when it would become available. This might be acceptable if this was the first time, but honestly I have experienced this same phenomenon quite a few times. While they do have some very cute clothes, It just such a waste of time to even bother with them if they are not even available for purchase.

Original review: April 20, 2018

It started in December when I wanted to order some scarves online for my family that came out to visit me in Texas. When I finally tried to check out, there was an error that I cannot order these items. So I called the customer service line and they tried to order for me and it wouldn't go through. I reached out to my NY&CO card CS and they didn't see any problems with the card. So I just gave up.

Then in January I saw a cute item I wanted online and tried to order again and it was the same thing. Called customer service for my card, everything was fine, called the NY & Company service line, and sent an email to corporate. For some reason they suspended my online account and can only make purchases in store. They didn't give me a reason as to why they suspended my account, and busy a busy single mother I don't have time to go to the store to go shopping. I am so disappointed in NY and company just with the fact they didn't notify me of the suspension or even gave me any details as to why??

Original review: April 2, 2018

They supply a return label but don’t tell you they charge you for the postage. Literally, there is NOWHERE that you are told there is a fee to return using a prepaid label! Customer Service apologized but said there is nothing they can do. She actually seemed embarrassed! Will no longer shop at this store! One thing I can’t stand is a company using deceptive practices. Another long-time customer lost! Too bad as the quality of the items I purchased is top-notch! NY&Co., what happens to quality customer service. You did not used to be like this. In the age of Amazon, this is not. Good luck!???‍♀️

Original review: March 24, 2018

The NY&CO in Cherry Hill mall is fraudulent. They mailed me a 10.00 use as cash no exclusions coupon reward. I went to use it on my purchase today and the cashier said I can't use it because my items are on sale. I said the coupon says no exclusions, plus the whole store is 40% off. She said yes that is why I cannot use it at all. I told her the coupon says no exclusions and that when will the entire store not be 40% off and she said not for a while and when I asked for a manager there was none there.

I said, "Well I just received this coupon a few days ago and it expires in a few weeks" and she could not provide a date I would be able to use it nor how it can be used since most everything is on sale all the time and it can't be used on sale items. Do me a favor NYCO, don't print out no exclusions on coupons because it is a lie. I will not shop here ever again because it's the same with their City Cash. It says no exclusions but you cant use it on anything either. Stop wasting my time. I spend hundreds of dollars on my City credit card and do not get any usable coupons. I will shop at a store that appreciates its customers by providing real coupons.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I was asked if I wanted a "Rewards" card and the cashier opened up a credit card. I asked her THREE time if this was a credit card that I was giving her my information for and EVERY time she told me NO that it was just a rewards card! I DID NOT WANT a credit card. I have contacted the store manager SEVERAL times, I wrote a letter to their corporate office in New York and nobody seems to care! If I make a mistake at work, it is MY responsibility to fix it. I cannot believe this cashier opened up a credit card in my name knowing I did NOT WANT ONE!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I placed an order today 3/2/2018 online with New York and company, after reviewing my order I noticed that the jacket was now 70$ off of the price I paid $89.00. I had the worst time speaking to both a customer service rep, and the supervisor... At no time did they even try to figure out what happened. I stated if they couldn't help me then I would cancel my order, I was told I couldn't cancel my order, I then stated I would speak to my bank and disputed the charges if they couldn't help me. I was told by the supervisor if I disputed the charges I would not be able to come back to their online catalog again. I stated then so be it, if that's the way they treat long time customers then I won't purchase anything from them. It was an awful experience. I've never had to argue with someone regarding an order. Clearly both the CSR, and the supervisor doesn't care about losing an customer.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I had used my rewards to place an online order. I took the time to register and update my address, etc. Click and submitted my order... Boom! A message pops up saying that, "This order and size is not available". I thought this is crazy. It never said that there was limited styles and sizes when I was shopping. I again went and placed my order and my rewards were not valid. I had to take an extra 30 minutes to call customer service to have them tell me that they can place the order for my items, but I will have to pay for the items with my credit card and my rewards will be reissued (up to 8 weeks) and credited to my card. I said, "No, thank you" and told them to reissue my rewards and I will place a new order after I receive them. Not too happy with how this issue was handled!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I ordered almost $300 in merchandise almost a month before vacation and it almost took that long to arrive coming from Virginia and I'm in Ohio. That is the best part of my experience!!! I returned a $90 dress, DID everything right... never wore it, packaged properly with the paperwork and return UPS return label provided. 2 weeks later, still no return, tracking says it's in Va... long story short called 14 times in 3 weeks, finally was told that I would receive a refund... just got an email telling me, they will not refund my money because even though it shows I returned it, they lost the package... wtf.

When I called back the supervisor said "I'm sorry. I know you did everything right and we are dead wrong but there is nothing I can do. That's the way they make us handle it." Crazy right... I ask for corporate and he tells me they don't allow them to give us (the public) corporate's info because they know how they screw people!! Outraged is an understatement! I've been flat out robbed!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have been shopping at NY & Company both online and in-stores since 2010. I have consistently found online to offer a better selection, in sizes, styles and workmanship. I remain the same XS size since 2010 and their clothes fit great for work. I always receive many compliments when wearing a NY & Company dress! As for styles, it is honestly so hit or miss. At times, there are many professional, polished dresses that I want and then I can go many months where I feel everything is so cheap and flimsy looking.

There is always a sale online, so everything I purchase is never at full price. I do find that, unfortunately, the numerous coupons I receive in the mail have too many restrictions and will mostly go unused. When it comes to ordering online, I have never been sent the wrong size or wrong product, so I am unable to comment on their return policy or process (thank God!). I do have the RunwayRewards card and feel the rewards program could be vastly improved. I also wished they had an online option of shipping to a local store, as many of the online items are not eligible for in-store pick-up.

New York & Company Company Information