New York & Company

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My bill's due date was Jan 28th. I made my payment on the same date it was due but did not realize it had to be done before a specific time, and now received 2 late fees because in my mind I had already paid off my account and balance was zero. I now have a balance of $51 due for TWO MONTH late fee! I called the help line for supposedly those with "financial issues" to then speak with a rep who stated he couldn't do anything for me, transferred me to a manager named Kathy, who tells me "Oh you still have a few days before its due." The point was I did not have the money to pay it, and if I'm calling for financial help it's obvious I'm looking for help with this bill, that I had NO IDEA. Luckily I have to say I called back, s/w a nice rep who submitted the issue to their manager... who was not Kathy. Now I wonder if Kathy is an actual manager there... or just a coworker who took the call to tell me the same response the previous rep gave me.

So I order 4 jackets online, 2XL and 2 small. Got my package today and I was surprised to see that not a single item was the one I ordered. Instead of jackets they sent me 4 medium thermal shirts. I called the customer service and that lady was like, "Oh your jackets were back order?" "Ok so you will just send me anything you have in stock?" That is the most stupid thing ever happened. If you don't have anything in stock return the damn money instead they send me some garbage stuff. Now we have to pack all of them and go to UPS store to send it back and I am not sure if I am hoping to get my money back but that's for sure. I will never shop from them again.

I purchased some items online which are too big, I called to do exchange and lady told me they no longer do exchanges you have to pay again for the items and then send the returns back. I asked why were they making it so inconvenient for the customer? I have truck placed my final order with New York and Company. Oh and can't take to the store either. Lady said that if you purchase online you have to send back by mail. I can no longer spend my money with a company that will go out of the way to make it inconvenient for me.

This has to be the very worst company I have EVERY ordered from. Not only are their policies ridiculous, but their customer service people are mindless robots. No explanation, rationale or reason. On Jan 2, 2017, I ordered 1 top, 3 sweaters and 3 matching fleece pants which I had intended to give as gifts. About 1 week later I received a package which contained only the top. Not a problem as I'm sure the rest is coming in another box. A few days later, I receive 1 sweater. Still missing 2 sweaters and all three of the matching pants, I call their customer service. The girl I speak with advised me that she sees that I have 3 shipments arriving. One with a top, one with the sweaters and another with the pants.

A few days later I receive another package. This time with 3 pants. Now missing 2 matching sweaters, I call again to customer service. They advise that the sweaters are no longer available, even though they show as in stock on their website. I explain that the pants are useless to me without the sweaters since I need the sets for gifts. All they can say is "sorry we don't have anymore." I ask why they are showing online as available and in stock, and why they charged me for an item that is not available and they reply that their website is not in real time and does not reflect actual inventory or stock. Again, I ask why they are selling items online that they don't even have? He cannot answer.

Then I request to return the rest of my order and get a full refund. The customer service tells me that I must drive 20 minutes to a store location, inconvenient to me, to return the items. What? Several days later I receive and email offering a sale and the item listed is the sweaters I'm missing. I try to place the order and it allows me to proceed, showing them in stock. I call customer service immediately to make sure the sweaters are available and they again inform me that they are not available. So let me understand this... You send out a mass email offering these sweaters at a sale price, you show them as in stock, you allow the consumer to purchase them, but you don't have any and they are discontinued??? So what are you going to do, charge everyone who orders and then let them wait for a product that doesn't exist anymore, so they can waste time calling customer service and fighting for a refund???

It took me 30 days to get my refund, I still have pants with no matching tops and now I have to waste an hour of my day to drive to a store to return these items. This is the WORST company, website, and customer service I have ever dealt with. Period. I am disgusted at how invaluable you think my time is. I will never purchase anything from them again. P. S. The first time I washed the top on gently cycle, the stitching fell apart and the fabric frayed.

I have been shopping at New York and Company since it was called Lerner. I went into the store and asked for Black Petite dress pants size 8. She said she would help look but she also stated I could probably use a bigger size!! I told her "No I don't think so." She said they didn't have any left but I found 2 pair in the rack. She said "Ya know we have a stretchy kind that would go right over your belly for hefty woman like you!!!" I couldn't believe she said that. I even said to her "I cant believe you just said that." I told her I weigh 130 pounds and I'm 45 years old. She kind of ignored me. I actually started to tear up. Another customer heard the whole thing and couldn't believe she had said that to me. Also the pants she was trying to show me you know for hefty woman were sweatpants when I had asked for dress pants for work.

Anyway I was so upset I called the corporate office and spoke to a nice man and promised he would have someone call me back. A woman calls back who really had no compassion and asks me for my address and what happened. So I thought they will probably send me an apology letter or something. NOTHING and it's been a month. Even if I was a larger woman nothing ever should be said like that. Teach your managers how to make someone feel good about themselves or you will lose customers. Terrible customer service all the way around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York and Company?

On Jan 13, I was in New York & Co of Cumberland mall. I was looking for a dress for my friend baby shower... I like all the dresses in the store so I have to try everything before to chose one of them. In this moment I feel like every one working on the store start watching me because I was going the fitting room too many time, They think I am a thief... I feel very bad. If they have Doubts about me they can make sure with a Style tactless... The custom he doesn't have any freedom in the store. They have very bad customer service. I don't like the store anymore... Shame of them. New York & Co go to the hell... Ever never go there again.

In October I went to order few clothing items and the computer pop-up said "Can't total the taxes try back later." That happened 4 times. The last time I tried it said "Mismatched cart, can't complete order." So I left it. The following morning, I get 5 confirmations that my orders were placed. They charged my card $600. I called and they said they couldn't stop the orders. They sent me 5 boxes of the same orders. I kept one box and returned all 4. It's now January and I still haven't gotten all my money back. They put 27 returns on my card. Some were $8.00, $11.00 and it still isn't the $478.00 they owe me. I've called and have emailed them and after 27 returns to my card the total amount still not right. This has been the worst nightmare order and return I've ever experienced. Meanwhile, they charged my card $600 and 3 months later I'm still waiting for all of my money.

I went to the store today about 2 pm Friday Jan 6, 2017. My brother's 5 years old son feel tired and sit on one of the low display table where they put a few long pants. There are 2 Mexican ladies work at the time. One of them came to him and started yelling "This table will break and cannot uphold people". She said it in rude manner and mean. My nephew got scared and cried. That Mexican lady not even apologized. She just pretended nothing happened. She can tell my nephew in a nice way. I was standing there and listened to what she said. I used to buy clothing in this store. Since then I won't go there anymore. I bet if someone yelling to her or to her kids this Mexican ** will be so mad. I asked her name. She refused to tell me. The other lady she is Mexican too she just smiled and laughing, doesn't do anything about it. I guess because they are both Mexican (they have to defend each other).

If I were the owner of this store I will fired this rude lady and will suspended the other one. They start talking Mexican and look at us after I asked this rude lady her name... I wish a very bad luck to this rude lady and all her family including the other one who was in the store. They can talk whatever they want in their language about us. This stupid ladies doesn't realize the store cannot pay them without the customers. Go to hell New York & Company. I hope your store will be closed down if you don't fired these 2 stupid rude ladies.

Purchased a coat from New York & Company on Black Friday. I thought that I had bought a large coat but bought a medium coat instead not realizing that I grabbed the wrong size. On 12-10-16, I tried the coat on for the first time but removed the price tag from the coat. I noticed that the coat was feeling a little snugged on me and so I looked inside the coat and saw the size being a Medium. I called the store and informed them of the mishap and they said, that because I removed the price tag from the coat, I cannot return the coat. Mind you, I just tried on the coat, never gotten a chance to wear it at all and I can't return it. Now I am pissed. I am a 1 year NY& Co. credit card holder who has never used my credit card before until Black Friday of this year. Very disappointed in the return policy. Once I pay off my card (I only charged this coat) I am going to cancel my credit card and won't shop there again!

I purchased two pair of pants yet received only one pair of pants because they ran out. The packing slip showed two pair of pants. This has happened twice, and I had to call customer service to get a refund. They need to have the packing slip reflect the correct amount being shipped, and proactively notify and refund customers if they run out. Very poor service. I will never order online again.

I was at the Cumberland Mall store and stood in line for close to an hour. Cashiers kept walking away, chatted endlessly with customers, and were highly inefficient. There were more people working the floor than checking out customers.

I was actually making a return to this store this evening, not a purchase. I had purchased a large order online and didn't like all of the order so I returned what I could at this store. The associate at the desk saw all that I needed to return and chose to comment that I should have come into the store where they could have helped me pick out my correct size, so I would not need to return so many things. This irritated me somewhat so I waited for her to finish up my return so I could leave. After refunding my card and handing me my receipts, she decided to once again say that next time I should come in the store and try things on, and the associates could help me if I needed help. At this point, even more irritated and seriously wondering if she was annoyed at the extra work my return was causing her, I let her know this is the way I preferred to shop. I couldn't believe I had to explain myself due to her high pressure sales at buying in-store instead of online.

I left annoyed and felt compelled to call the store and speak with the manager Sam. She heard me out and instead of apologizing for this employee and saying she would talk to her, she explained that NY and Co. online is different than in stores and the stores do not reap any of the benefits from online sales. This was not in any way my business OR my problem. She explained that her associate was simply trying to promote the stores' sales. She said they did not mean to "upset me" as if her employee did nothing wrong.

I have worked in retail before and have never once made anyone feel bad about a return. This associate and store manager seem to have a very different view of what "customer service" is from me, and even went as far as to compete with the website of the same company that pays their paychecks. I am very dissatisfied with how this whole situation was handled and I purchase a lot of your clothes. I appreciate the option to return in store but not if when I go to return stuff in store I am treated this way.

I have ordered many items from NY&Co. My last experiences have been horrible to say the least. On 9/13 I order 4 shirts and 3 pairs of pants. To date I have received 2 shirts. I was notified on 9/21 that the pants were canceled from my order because they didn't have them in stock. As of today, they are still available to order online in the size I ordered! I have even notified them on 9/21 and 9/26 that they are still showing available online! The other two shirts had a shipping label created on 9/21 and yet they still haven't shipped, yet I just received the credit card statement that needs to be paid and yet I don't have everything I purchased. I also have an email from NY&Co. stating that my credit card has been charged for everything except the pants! Upon speaking to the representatives, I am continuously told that the order is not charged until it has shipped.

This is false, as I have two shirts that a shipping label have been created for, yet they are still sitting at a store in Pembroke Pines, Florida awaiting shipment. Apparently no one has access to contact the stores either to check when items are being shipped and it takes 24-48 business hours to get an update to the status of your order as well. When I asked for the number to the store to call them myself, apparently they don't have that either. Luckily Google tells me there are only two locations in Pembroke Pines, Florida so I guess they will both be getting calls. The other problem I ran into with NY&Co. is their processing of payments. I always charge purchases for this company to their company branded card and typically pay with a check even though I can pay online. My account is always paid in full as well. The last two times I sent in a check, it was processed for less than the amount the check was written for.

Luckily I kept copies of the checks. I contacted NY&Co. and was told there was nothing they could do since the payment was processed for the amount they submitted and would have to submit another payment. Luckily, I caught their error so I could get a payment made online before I accrued any interest charges. I requested that an investigation be started on this matter and apparently they did, because I received a letter from them stating that the checks were processed incorrectly. Beware and make sure that you are double checking payments if you are sending a payment by check in for your credit card.

I purchased a jumpsuit in June for my anniversary. I noticed it had belt loops, but didn't pay it much attention until one day as I was shopping online at New York and Company, I realized the jumpsuit that I bought didn't come with the belt that it should have come with. After talking to customer service and going to back to the store as directed by them, I could not get this problem resolved because at the time, I did not have my receipt and was told by NYC to email headquarters to request one. I emailed them several times and never heard a word from them. 3 months and a few days after this ordeal, I found the receipt in the bag in my closet while changing out summer shoes to fall. I went to the store and was told too late the receipt expired and there was nothing she could do. All I want is the belt to the jumpsuit that I already paid for.

I live in Canada and called their Customer Service line to help me make a placement online because the computer would not allow me to place my order. The first customer service agent says they no longer ship to Canada. So I then asked her if they did before and she said she didn't know but was sure they didn't ship to Canada. I called again and another agent said they do ship to Canada! I called a third time and the last representative was not sure whether they shipped to Canada... C'mon people. You work for a company and you don't even know where they ship to?!

I have been trying to place an order with NYCO since August 22, 2016. I originally tried to place the order online and it was not successful. I learned later that this is because I live overseas and it would not go through using an international IP address. Since, I have been attempting to place the order every few days over the phone with associates. Always the same response of unable to process my order. I have been referred back to the bank. They holds my NYCO credit card and every time they verify my information is correct -- my account has a zero balance and that there are no hold or restrictions on my card. In addition they tell me each time that nothing is reaching the card meaning the bank is not receiving any attempts to make purchases and shows no record of purchases. There is simply nothing pinging to my credit card. Somehow it is being stopped at NYCO.

I asked if using a forwarding mail address could be an issue. I have been assured on several occasions that that is not the case. I tried placing the order again over the phone using my permanent mailing address and still received the same message. Except this time the customer service agent said it look like my card had been flagged for fraud. I called the bank back, spoke with someone in their Fraud Department that once again assured me of my zero balance, no attempts to charge my card, no fraud alerts, no authorization holds, and that my mailing address phone number and name are all correct on my account. So I called back to NYCO, attempted to place my order again -- same issue of not being able to process.

I have asked to speak with a supervisor several times and there never seems to be one available OR I am placed on hold and after about 30 mins of the customer service rep checking back in with me to ensure they are still waiting for a supervisor, my call is disconnected. I have had my complaint/concerns forwarded through their complaint system to receive a call back several times and no one ever calls me back. My issues are continuing to go unresolved.

I am a regular customer at New York & Company and I am size petite and stores don't sell those sizes. Normally I order online and whenever I ask customer service they say order both and you can always return. Online buying in petite sizes is tricky on top of that you have not felt the material. Online returns are always high. I returned online merchandise to store and bought very limited merchandise at store. Whatever I bought if it didn't work I returned within one month with exception of 1 or 2 items.

One day the store manager rudely said "you can't return anymore to the store" and "I have right to deny you from returning". I nicely explained her that I have bought and kept a lot from NYC. This manager is very rude and I am a doctor of philosophy so I research before I buy. If I ask her to help in locating merchandise or simple q she does not even want to answer that. The other employees in the store are so nice to me and everyone felt bad when she was yelling at me. Most of the times the employees are in disagreement with her but cannot say as she is the store manager. I request NYC to look into this and please change the store manager at Morgantown, WV. When I returned 2 of the four items, as I bought similar shirt at higher price from nordstrom, she rudely snatched off my cash rewards and said "you can't get this". Even then I remained quiet. I like merchandise at NYC and would really like to shop there.

I have been shopping at NYCO for several years, and have been using their online ordering as the most convenient way of getting the things I want especially since my schedule doesn't always allow me to go in-store. However, for the last week I have been trying to order online and have been met with numerous issues whereby my order cannot be processed and I was directed to contact Customer Service. Upon calling customer service several different times, I was given a number of random reasons why my order wasn't being processed including:

My US shipping address isn't valid (when it's the same address I've been using for years). My PayPal account has a non-US address so it can't be used (when I've been using the same PayPal account to purchase on NYCO for years even as recently as a couple months ago). I then switched to my US credit card to make the payment and still encountered the same issue, so they insisted it was my shipping address. I then switched the shipping address to my cousin's shipping address to see if maybe they're right and I'm the crazy one here, but turns out that didn't work either. I even tried to place my order over the phone and still no luck.

So now I'm at my wits end, and customer service has essentially shrugged their shoulders at me and said, "Oh well, can't help ya there!" So I'm stumped as to what I'm supposed to do short of getting in my car and heading to the store myself, which given my crazy work hours, I don't have the time for. So overall, my most recent experience has not been impressive at all and I'm really disappointed that they didn't make any real attempts to resolve my issue.

I purchased some items for my wedding/reception/honeymoon and after arriving back home, I reluctantly shipped back some items (getting to a store an hour away just wasn't working out). I persistently checked regarding the receiving of those items and my refund. First, I was told they would not access my account, to call back and have a woman look it up by my email. I then received an email stating I had "unread messages" in my account. I was completely unable to login to that account, password wouldn't work and when I tried to reset it, it said my email was not registered. After over 20 emails back and forth with "support" they informed me there are no "messages" in your account, that is just a tactic used as an email subject to attract customers. In the end, I am told my refund was "processed and cleared" on their end on 7/29/16 at 2:12 pm, but it never showed up in my PayPal account.

I have made 10+ attempts since and have been told 4 times they were waiting for my transaction number only to be told today they are under the impression the original refund was not processed correctly. They requested a transaction number on Aug 16 and now on Aug 23rd, no email or phone call as promised. I call back to be told if there is no resolution by tomorrow, they will reissue the refund and if I don't get an email by the end of the day to call back! I am fairly certain 99% of what I have been told to this point has just been giving me the runaround to appease me for the moment with NO resolution. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!

On July 21, 2016, I took a survey online from New York & Company that promised $30 for completing the survey, and was given a coupon or redemption number. I then tried to use it online with no success. Today I called their customer service and reported this problem. Neither the representative on the phone nor her supervisor had ever heard of this promotion. They lied to me and I will write to the corporate office.

I have been shopping at NY & Co for 20 years religiously! Love their clothes! I got awesome sale prices and ordered over $300 worth of clothing as I hadn't bought clothes in years. Some of the items had color variations from how they looked online or I needed a different size. When I sent in the exchange form I just received the amounts returned to my credit card. They didn't even try to exchange them or look at my exchange form. I had to call in to make the exchange and they won't exchange for color... only size. I cannot return at the store because I already shipped these items back and they are not in my possession. The only option I have left is to repurchase these items and not get the sale price that I had when I ordered these items. This has been such a hassle. Only order from them if you know your exact size, color, etc. They make nothing easy and do not value return customers.

Just really disappointed. Customer service is not helpful. I placed my order on June 1st and as of June 14 my order still hasn't been shipped with exception of 1 item. However, money was quickly removed from my PayPal account.

I have a merchandise credit because I was over the date for cashback. Tried to order online, but couldn't. You cannot use the credit online only in store even though it is the same business entity and the sales associate said I could order online.

Something very strange with this company. Made a payment of 150.00 and next statement I got said it went through. Ordered some clothes for a friend which went through and wouldn't have if payment didn't go through cause my balance would have been too low to order more clothes. So anyways received statement showing payment was received. So next statement I receive said payment was returned a whole month later. I dont understand. My bank said it went through and New York & Co. is saying they never received it. So now I have to go through my bank to have them investigate the situation. Something is very wrong with this company. They're a big scam.

First I want to say I have been shopping at this company for years. They have great work clothes. I spend a lot of money at this store when I go shopping. But this past Monday (5/1) and Tuesday (5/2) I went shopping online which I never do. So I purchased some items from there on these two different days. Well they pulled the money out of the bank account as soon as I finished my ordered. (240.70 and 52.89) Not a big issue. Well now here is Wednesday. Going through my bank account and what would you know? They pulled 4 different times out of my account. The first two and then 2 more for smaller amounts (29.70 and 26.44).

When I called to talk to somebody about it they stated "Yes, every time we ship a item we pull money out for that item." I tried to explain to her that the money is already pulled out so I didn't understand why they are pulling more out. I paid for the items. And all she could do is telling me that they were being shipped from different places and that's how they do it. Then she tells me "Well you have one more item that has to be shipped to you so that will be coming out of your bank account as well." And that I will receive my money within 5-7 business days of the extra money they pulled out. I asked her why they do it this way, just going into people's bank account and charge them extra without them being told when they order offline. She didn't have a answer for me. All she said is "I understand" and she was sorry.

I then asked her "Well if my account went into a negative amount because y'all did this will the company cover the charge?" She said "No that's something you will have to cover." And repeated "You will have the money within 5-7 business days or I can make a ticket to see if they can put the money in the account sooner." I WILL NEVER SHOP WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

Please do not order from this company. Two days after I ordered a jacket online, there was a price decrease. They were unable to credit me the difference and suggested I cancel the first order and reorder. I did that, only to find out that although the rep told me that my first order was cancelled, it actually was not. I called back when I saw the charge was still on my VISA and was told that they weren't allowed to cancel an order in progress and I could return it to the store when I received it. The only problem is, it has not been shipped! I ordered on 4/11/2016 and as of 4/16/2016 it hasn't shipped. The second order was shipped immediately. Basically the rep lied to me when he told me he could cancel the first order. I have emailed and called the company twice, and they won't refund my order even though it has not been shipped. I am going to file a dispute with my VISA card and hope for the best.

I was looking for reviews of a jacket. I was interested in and stumbled upon this. The sheer volume of negative reviews astounded me. Whenever I go I'm greeted warmly, the clothes fit well, and they have great deals. If an item isn't on sale, just wait a week. I get coupons almost daily. The odd complaints about returns without a receipt surprised me. Their feels change every few days. Almost my entire wardrobe is from this company and I've never paid full price for anything. They don't store transactional data, unlike some stores, so they can't magically determine what you paid for something previously. I really like this store. I hope they're around for a long time.

This company is the WORST when it comes to return policies! The only way you get your full refund is if you have a receipt and it's within 15 days, and even then it's like you're trying to get away with something!! It's disgusting the way they treat customers. If you don't have a receipt they will give you a credit for whatever the selling price is minus whatever discount is going on because there is, according to them, NO WAY to know what you paid. That may be true if you paid cash but MOST companies now all you have to do is give them the credit card you used and they know what you paid.

Additionally, I have a NY & CO credit card which should always ensure I get a refund. Instead because I'm terrible with the many receipts I have, I end up stuck with dozens of items. Which led to my not shopping there anymore. I'm not going to continue to get stuck with items because of their crappy policies. They have a "rewards" certificate that they'll send if you spend over a certain amount of money which usually expires WITHIN 15 days. So wait, I spent over $800 over the course of MONTHS, then you send me a $20 "reward" certificate but I'm only going to be rewarded if I spend it tomorrow!? Ridiculous! DON'T SHOP HERE and DEFINITELY don't get this credit card!

Horrible horrible customer service. Tried making a return WITH receipt and manager was extremely rude. Products are such bad quality. Wear one time is all you will get with these clothes. The sales sound great but you are better off paying a bit more to wear more than once.

We order 4 items. Just got 3 items with different day individual and one shipment is not received. I call to online representative, they give me UPS number. I called them they are saying that delivered neighbor house. I called 2 times with New York and company and still missing my stuff. Please don't get anything from the online or make sure with them. Not worth to shop online.

New York & Company Company Profile