2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.32/5

Instant Checkmate is a public records search service. All of the information is generated by searching public records from federal, state and county databases and compiling it into a report. You can look up addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles, driving records, arrest records, demographic data and a variety of other information.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
Instant Checkmate Get Pricing

Instant Checkmate Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: May 15, 2020

My call assistant Jake was very helpful in refunding me my money after confusing small print lead to me purchasing a plan I didn’t need or use. I appreciate the help and that there was only about a minute wait time.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Always helpful for whatever I have been looking for. Also very accommodating on the telephone. They try every way to help in your needs as a customer. Also have been very lucky in finding the correct information I have been looking for in a long time. I would recommend to my friends and family anytime.

Original review: May 1, 2020

Overall I was very satisfied with your service. I was able to locate the majority of the people I needed to find. If I ever decide to return to the service I was engaged in I wouldn't hesitate to use Instant Checkmate again.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I use Instant Checkmate to get contact info and to determine if a person should be safe to meet alone. Not sure if I should rely on it so much for the latter, but it works good for the former. Been subscribed for several years. Never tried another system.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Always very pleased with results from your website. I cant recall a time where I didn't find the info I was looking for, nationwide. Thanks for being there for a go to and helping me make educated business decisions with your information.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I've had good results with the service and customer service. A little pricey compared to others but it is worth trying to see if it meets your needs. When it comes to cost one has to balance a recurring monthly charge vs. only paying for it when you need it.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I am not necessarily answering these surveys in the order received. This is the 3rd one so I ask that you review the two previous surveys. The Customer Service Agents were very good and it was great that they were able to work from home and provide excellent service. Refer for good customer service: Yes! Having to call Customer Service: No.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I just needed to review one contact. No additional needs. The information I sought was readily available. Some of the information was not necessarily correct, but there were statements stating this might be the case. There may be additional needs in the future, but not at this time. I will re-evaluate my needs at a future date.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I wanted to try out this service. I wanted to see how it works, so I did a background search on myself. It is a bait and switch. It came up saying criminal record found. I have no criminal record. I continued to work through it to see what else it says. Then it said possible criminal record found, key word "possible". In the end it took 15 mins to run through everything and then came up to a credit card screen. It makes up stuff in order to get you to purchase the report....

Instant Checkmate response

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. Instant Checkmate compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. While we wish we could provide this information for free, it costs us money to access records from our data sources and to maintain our website and app. Our billing details are prominently displayed before a customer decides to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 20, 2020

Yesterday I decide to try your instantcheckmate.com 5-day Trial*. "Includes UNLIMITED Reports. Your 5-day $1 Trial Will Last Until 3/24/20! During your trial you’ll have access to UNLIMITED Background Reports. If you would like to cancel before the trial ends, you may do so for any reason and you will not be charged again. Simply call 1-800-222-8985."

OPENED ACCOUNT 2:30 PM 3/19/2020. CANCELLED 2:55 PM 3/19/2020. Address’s wrong, phone numbers wrong, NO employment History, no pics, licenses not correct. Did a check on known friends and their info was nowhere close. I can find more info on a Google search, myself. Sent email to support@instantcheckmate.com asking for cancellation confirmation number. As of yet I have no reply and no idea if my account has been canceled. “Our number one goal at Instant Checkmate is customer satisfaction. If you wish to cancel your membership, feel free to call one of our excellent member care staff at 1-800-222-8985.” Doesn’t appear to be the case.

Hi Michael,

We’re sorry about the recent delays in our email response times and our customer support lines. In response to COVID-19, we’re currently working with our communities, government officials, and local entities to take care of the well-being of our associates and our customers. This has caused longer response times between our customer support team and our customers, and we’re doing all that we can to lessen this delay.

For more information and updates in regards to COVID-19 and our response times, please visit this page:

Again, we greatly appreciate your patience with us during this time. Please do not hesitate to contact our customer service department at (800) 222-8985 with any further questions or concerns. We are available to assist you during regular business hours, Mon-Sun 5am - 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 11, 2020

I discovered that Instant Checkmate has billing our credit card since 2018. An account was created using my husband’s email and they claim we only did background checks on ourselves. Why a person would open up an account and do background checks on themselves is suspect to me. I’ve called customer service and they assure me my account is closed. I’ve canceled my credit card so they can’t have any more money. They have promised to issue me a 12 month refund despite the fact that they scammed me for longer than that. They say 12 month refund is their max. I only got that after being told that 3 and 6 months is the max.

I’m extremely upset. I’ve upset a couple of their representatives and I’m sure they’ve flagged me as nuts. I’ve contacted their legal department. I can’t get any written proof of my refund or account cancellation even though they claim to have emailed it. No it’s not in my junk folder. I want a full refund and I will not stop until I get it. I’m sure this company offers some kind of service but they also take people‘s money to whom they have offered nothing at all. Disgraceful.

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 4, 2020

I found what I needed with no problems. Helpful in what I needed to find. Information was mostly useful, but some was not... Overall the product is good, but someone should only have to pay for a report and not do a subscription service!!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Everything is like right on & Perfect like 99.99998% of the time! I HAVE recommended it to like at least 8 different people! I AM SOOO HAPPY WITH IT! I JUST CAN'T EVEN SAY HOW HAPPY I AM ABOUT IT'S EXISTENCE & WILL CONTINUE TO USE IT IN THE FUTURE!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I signed up to use it once a few years ago. It wasn't particularly helpful but better than nothing. I signed up recently to use it again, and again it found very little information on who I was looking up, despite having all pertinent information and consent from who I was checking... Cut to a few months later and I realized they have been autobilling me every month as well. Simply avoid. I don't know how it has such high reviews.

Instant Checkmate response

We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

The website was easy to use and accurate. I'd recommend it to anyone. Whether for dating, or checking out a potential tradesman, it's a great tool to have at your disposal. It could save you money, as well as a lot of heartache later.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I used this process to determine the person and length of time that my husband cheated on me. I was successful in finding out the year it started bu not so sure about the ending date. If I have more things that needs to be checked I'll use this service.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

BEWARE! Very deceptive on their cancellation procedure. I cancelled my subscription in January. Thinking it all good I did not give the site a second thought. Today I just got billed for a service I do not want, use or need. I went back to the site to find my account that had previously stated "inactive", active. I cancelled it again. It takes 3 fen times to confirm you want out then still offers you a chance to save and offers to take 10 dollars off the subscription price. I again went through all the steps and the 3 times of clicking cancel my account and again got a confirmation email stating my account was cancelled.

These practices of making it very easy to register an account then extremely difficult with many forced "chances " to change your mind and not cancel is in my viewpoint; very shady and deceptive business practices. I wonder how many dollars they steal from people each month that no longer want their service or use their service because they make cancelling your subscription purposefully deceptive. BEWARE of this site and their deceptive cancellation procedure. I am calling their customer service and will write a follow up review but I am not expecting much from an online site with such deceptive cancellation procedures.

Hi Michael,

We’re sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with our billing system. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I canceled my account because I only needed a report on one person. The customer service rep. was so nice which is such a pleasure. She made the cancellation without trying to talk me into keeping it. I would definitely recommend this to others.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

The representative that I spoke with was courteous, attentive and patient and excellent in trying to resolve my concerns. The rep showed professional excellence and commitment to ensure my problem was intricately looked into. I am impressed at the competence and swift call to action without subjecting me to unnecessary long hold. I am encouraged.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This was so easy for me to find an old friend. I could go back to where I left off on your site. Customer service was 5 stars. I will be using service again. I would recommend this site to anyone looking for old friends.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I used Instant Checkmate for help finding address for classmates when we had our 45th class reunion this past year. Instant Checkmate made it fast and easy to find the addresses I needed to send out the class reunion invitations. I would definitely recommend this service to anyone that is looking to find an address.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I am really happy. The few times I have needed help I got the help. I like Checkmate. I am worried about what may happen to my large family many who are young. With the FBI after my relative could hurt some one. Am a worry wart. I have never had something happen to me like this. I was doing Ancestry and I will be happy to recommend a friend to your company. I must stop. I need to lay down. Thanks. Shirley.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I thought that a one time use was a flat rate and turned out to be a subscription that I had no intentions of using and then never did. My fault for not reading the service plan. The gal who helped me was terrific. She researched the history of the start date and refunded me the appropriate monthly fees. I used this service twice without recalling. I'd probably use this service again if the occasion arises. Thanks so much!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Customer service was wonderful, but website did not deliver. No info on your site, but competitor delivered. Website lures you in with promise of info, but there was none. Would never have signed up. Do appreciate the refund. Thank you.

Instant Checkmate response
We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I found the service quick and easy to use and lent a feeling of security. I was dating online and the information provided was often a deciding factor. I’m happy to say that I believe my online dating days are over and I simply do not need the service any longer. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is single and searching online. When I called to cancel, the rep was extremely friendly and helpful.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have never really trusted sites like this since I had my ID stolen. I really don't trust any sites. But after seeing your security the Experian name I became a believer in you. Even more so after I talked in person to one of your team members, great experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Also discovered a new friend of a friend, who has been visiting me is a pedophile. So it's worthwhile to use Instant Checkmate, which updates frequently, it's true - when you have a hunch about suspicious characters in your home.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I was able to find information I needed for my search. I am thankful it all turned out great. This Checkmate Search has any and everything you would be interested in and not interested in finding. You will definitely get the answers you are searching for. This search was a detailed search.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

404 log in error. Service has been out since 13 January 20. I called and spoke with several Rep's, to no avail. I spoke with Samantha on 17 January at 9:30p, EST. Samantha asked me STUPID and insulting questions as if to "get me off the phone and buy time." We got DISCONNECTED and Samantha did NOT BOTHER to call me back. I plan on contacting the FTC, BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU News Station in Atlanta (where I live) and the News Station in California and any other agency. I have been a customer since March, 2018. You do NOT VALUE ME.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you experienced technical issues during your search, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Thanks Zach for the great help I received in canceling my account and giving me a refund! The site is very good for searching for anyone you're looking for. If I need to search again I would do so with confidence.

Instant Checkmate Company Information