1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

471 Family Dollar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Apparently their trainees are not properly trained. I had stopped in Family Dollar to purchase some index cards and on the way out, I spotted some Bluetooth headphones. Skeptical about whether or not they would work, I asked about their return policy. I was told I would not receive cash back, but would get a store credit. So I purchased them. They don't work and I just tried to return them and was told I could not. I could only exchange them for a new pair. They said their "electronics" policy was posted everywhere. And I went back to where I picked the headset up, and way up high, in little tiny letters, there was a sign. Seriously??? I asked when purchasing and was given the wrong info. Seems they would give me a store credit considering that!!! But no. NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN. Buy from Walmart!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I went to store 11326 in Gnadenhutten, Ohio looking for a toy, they didn't have one but the manager went way beyond customer service and found me what I was looking for at an other Family Dollar store in a different state. What a wonderful place to shop. This store and the workers deserve something nice. I just have one thing to say, this Family Dollar Store in Gnadenhutten, Ohio rocks. They get 5 plus stars from me and my family.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

If you have a stolen card, this is the store for you. Someone was able to ring hundreds of dollars, I assume gift cards, emptying my account. I tried to contact the store by phone, no answer, no vm system. I tracked down the store and went to talk to a manager or security, no security at all, no idea when the manager would be in. I emailed, phoned, and even tried Facebook to contact corporate and data later, still nothing. So much for getting the video, which probably doesn't record anyway.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Today I was falsely accused of retail theft at Family Dollar and I am mortified. I've never stolen anything. They have no proof and yet the cop gave me a letter banning me from store. I will be seeking legal counsel. Not only was I accused but employees told cops it always happens yet this is first time they have called cops. Don't blame me that your security system is faulty. Today was actually one of the few times door didn't beep when I left. I always stop and comply and have never stolen anything. This is wrong on so many levels and I urge shoppers beware. If this happened to me who is to say you won't be a victim.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Do not purchase ANY electronics from this company, their policy is to act like a pawn shop, if you walk out the door with it, you are stuck with it, doesn't matter if you have a receipt or not. You buy it, you keep it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was treated so poorly by a female manager at the Patterson Rd, Dayton Ohio location. Over coupons that I got on their app, and was showing them it on the cell. She was smug and had the absolute worst customer service I've seen. The tall male employee kept interjecting even while having someone he was in the middle of ringing out. They got loud with me and I am not happy nor will I let this horrible service go unnoticed!

Original review: July 23, 2018

After shopping at Family Dollar for many many years I will never return to the one located at 1005 High Street Hamilton Ohio again. I was in there Saturday at about 430 pm and the two girls that was working was very rude, they was hateful ringing people up and laughing amongst their self in front of a customer that was MRDD. They really need fired. This made me so mad. Then I go after this customer the two girls was making smart aleck comments, they overcharged me. The store was disgusting. I tried calling in to contact customer service and of course I did not get to talk to anybody. If they care about their customers at all they need to get rid of both of those girls. I'm extremely unhappy with the service I received.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was at the counter with $18.62 of goods. I was one penny short. The cashier was unrelenting. I dug and dug in my purse and could not find one cent. I was with my two young grandchildren. There were no customers in line to help me. The cashier would not relent for a penny. She suggested I put something back. Over a penny. This store is at Little York and Airline in Houston Texas. Yes, I could have used a card but the situation was too ridiculous I just had to leave and won't ever be back after years of shopping there. It wasn't racially motivated either. The cashier and I are of the same race. I don't know why she wouldn't let that Penny slide but she was very firm on it. Very poor customer service. I was embarrassed to death to search through my purse for a penny that I couldn't find or didn't have.

Original review: July 14, 2018

When shopping at the store in Crawford Ga. I have all the time loved shopping there because of the manager Ms. **. She has stuck with the determination of doing her best by this store from day one. She is thorough and tries to be a fair person as far a customer is involved but could do with better help than she has. There are two in that store that could have use of better training and adjustments in their attitudes. Vickie would be the main one.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Normally I don't give reviews but I was so impressed with this one store that I had to write a review. Each and every shelf was stocked full and not an item out of place. The store was clean and the employees very helpful and friendly. I've never in my 52 years seen a store that has impressed me as much as this one. Amazing experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought some items at store #07071. The young man & woman told me I could bring it back if it didn’t work for my TV after I stated to them that I was looking for antennas for my daughter's TV. And I had already tried out a cheaper brand that didn’t work so I was taking a risk!! Now I’m here because the antenna does not work and she told me because I don’t have a receipt I can’t exchange or get a refund which I know is not true. I’ve worked in retail and anyone knows that you can’t get a refund without the receipt but you can exchange!

Now this lady see me shop here every day with my children and I’m most definitely certain she remembers selling me the items because she was the one told me to bring it back! I’m so mad. She embarrassed me in front of customers while her and her coworkers spoke down about me in creole assuming I didn’t understand. I’m so heated and I’ll never shop at Family Dollar ever in life. I’ll go to Dollar Tree or Dollar General 100 miles away even if Family Dollar was 1 block away from my condo. All I wanted was fair respect that I didn’t get.

Original review: June 10, 2018

While shopping here the Management as well as his workers mock the shoppers and right there in their faces and the manager did the same to me as if I did not know what he was doing. The faces have changed here, there are two older Hispanic people there that are good for the store but it stops there. I have been shopping here for years and this is it, I do not need to spend my money here. Good luck to all the others who feel Its the only store in west Dallas. I will go out of my way to shop.

Original review: May 23, 2018

A few months ago while visiting the Family Dollar store in Russellville, AR, located on Knoxville Ave, I heard the asst manager making racist remarks as he checked out customers. He used the N word and said when he lived in New Orleans he killed N word. Not only is this racist but it is also very alarming that he felt it was ok to talk about killing people and make racist comments in front of customers. I sent an email to corporate and two months later I'm still waiting for a reply. I have shopped at that store at least once a week for over 8 years. It's really sad that even corporate doesn't care about the customers but they continue to accept the paychecks that are paid by consumers. I'm not the only person that contacted Family Dollar Corp about this matter and no one has received a reply.

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give this store (01489) an F, I would. Extremely rude manager. I reported it to the corporate office. I received an email stating that they will contact me within 7 to 10 business days. It's been past 10 business days. I am calling right now to get an update. Holding for 2 hours now to the corporate office. Luckily, I do not have to limit my minutes. My battery is now low on my Bluetooth. This is crazy!!!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Family Dollar Grovetown Ga. - If I could I would give this store zero stars. The employees are extremely rude. They will not allow customers to use carts to take items to their vehicle. They comment if a customer has a large pocketbook or are wearing a jacket. They make you wait to be checked out until they're done with their task. When they finally come to check you out they're rude and always complaining especially Corniellis. An example, an item wouldn't scan. They ask me to go get another one. This is not on one occasion but almost every time I visit the store. I have several other examples of rude encounters I've experienced at this store. The two ** ladies are rude! However the ** lady and ** man are not.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Went into the Marietta, GA store to return an item that was too small. The item had not been worn and I had the receipt. The item had been taken out of the original packaging because I was about to wear it. I realized I picked up the right size. The item was only $6. I figured I would just exchange it for the right size. The so-called Manager (Kay) stated she could not take the item back because it had been opened. Well, that's silly!! How else am I going to wear the item... I thought, what an Idiot!! I have a receipt. It has not been worn... there are no stains!!

She refused to take it back, walked off and started assisting another customer. I noticed the customer she was assisting was returning an item. It was a propane canister. It was rusted, old looking, and she was being pleasant with the customers and exchanged their item with no problem. I was livid!!! She was an unattractive, tall, fat, ** woman and I guess she was an unhappy person and did not like herself. She was very unprofessional and rude towards me. This is the second horrible customer service experience I have had with this organization. When you write a complaint to the Corp office, they do nothing. Well ** falls from the top!! Hopefully, someone will come up with a store similar to theirs with quality customer service and put them out of business!!!

Original review: April 21, 2018

I shop at Family Dollar stores, this one being located on Cooke St., Waterbury, Ct for value and convenience of where this particular location is logistically to my residence. So I had frequented until occurrences on day of incident. I had spent $70 hours prior and forgot to obtain an AT&T refill card to make sure cell phone was paid. Following day once remembered I hadn't purchased and as many woman I'm sucked in to those spurts of shopping for nothing else needed really second time.

So this type of store shop I'm in aisle with basket containing items I really didn't need and the AT&T card and some small items like nail polish and what not. As I'm looking at the diverse cost of mascaras I noticed an employee of store in aisle with me too and I stated to her the vast difference between cost of them. So she looked at me and said, "I know you don't." And I looked at her and I smiled and I said, "No. I don't know you." and she said, "Yes I do." And she came up to me and said, "Can I see your basket." And I thought it was odd and handed it to her and she said, "Okay no problem." and walk me to the front and said, "You can leave." and I looked at her puzzled and said, "Excuse me." and she said, "I know you. So just please leave." and insinuated I had been someone who had stolen and took my stuff and asked me to leave the store in front of a whole line of other people like myself. I was completely humiliated.

4 years and I wasn't and never have stolen anything in my life. She said to leave the store. I was completely appalled by this. I told her within walking distance it was a complete and convenience. I needed to buy that phone card because I did not have a vehicle and she refused for me to buy anything that I had in the basket and told me to leave the state. I called the police and they told me it was a consumer affair that I needed to contact Family Dollar corporate and there was really nothing that they could do. But I told them it was prejudicial and bullying because of age and area statistic and he agreed and apologized. He said they had received several complaints but there was really nothing until someone above the management at that store did something about it and was sincerely apologetic for being a citizen in the city and having treatment like that.

Since then I've heard of one friend who was told to remove stuff from their pants and they stripped down so they had nothing in their pants and was told not any apology but you leave as well for falsely being accused and I had another friend who is buying tweezers and asked to leave and told that he had been there in so something as well and did not completely.

They should not legally be able to treat their customer like that. We should not go into a store and be asked to leave and not able to purchase anything and not apologize when they see you are not doing as they say and for their own traditional assortment not able to stop in the store. I do feel I should have some sort of compensation about this before I see any legal aid as with others that I am in contact with you feel the same way. Please contact me in regards to this so I do not need to continue climbing the ladder of upheaval in the anguish of the time and consumed humiliated embarrassment that I have with bethrottled from this situation. Thank you.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I recently picked up weekly FAMILY DOLLAR ad 4/9-4/29 that had a picture of the Edison Light Set 10ct. I thought these lights would be nice for my yard/patio. Little did I know that I would have to search 10 stores and drive more than 15 miles outside of my neighborhood to find them. Which is strange because there are 2 FD stores less than 1 mile from my home. Can someone please explain why NONE of my local branches had received these Edison Light Sets to sell. I asked each store manager and each one said their stores did not receive those lights. Can someone rectify this situation? What is the point of having a store in walking distance if I can't get what I want there and end up wasting time, gas and more money to find the products I want across town?

Original review: April 13, 2018

The cashier after charging me for the "Double A batteries" deliberately & maliciously held back the batteries not putting them in the two bags with the other items adding up to $37. This is dishonesty! I don't know this had happened until I got home from waking to the store. I had to walk back to the store and show proof that I had purchased the batteries by the same cashier. I wasn't sure if she was going to lie about my purchase. After she scanned my receipt, she just handed me the batteries and receipt together.

I did have an angry face while telling her to give me my batteries NOW! When I got home again, I tried to call their Customer Care Department but I found out nobody was there because this incident happened Saturday 4.7.18 about 3:30 pm. So I used their "Contact Us" website but nothing happened after waiting till Friday 4.13.18. So I called the Customer care department but nobody answered. I tried calling again at 1:41 pm and still nobody answered but I knew these calls are monitored so I told them while listening to their music for which I knew that they don't care about their customers & I'm considering calling my lawyer & consumer report.

Original review: April 3, 2018

When I go in a store it is always jockey. I asked the manager on duty one day. I said, "Why is it always junk in here," and said, "They did so much work in the store and every time you come in here you can't even walk down the aisle." I don't care what time of day you come there. All the ways carts of boxes, things all disarray all over the floor, all the workers just standing around talking even with the managers. They just stand around talking and laughing and customers just sliding down through the house because it's so much junk. You all did so much work to that store for they always look like that every day. I don't care what day or time you go in there. It's always a mess. I rather Patron another store. I like that store. I frequent that store a lot but I'm getting to the point that I don't even like to walk in there because I know when I go in there it's going to be a mess.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Cashier went back and forth with me because I did not want to leave my purse behind the counter because it was large. Apparently it is a rule, not policy, at the Family Dollar located off of Hirsh and Tidwell in a low income community. There is also a rule at the Family Dollar located off Homestead and Tidwell that customers under the age of 18 cannot patronize without an adult and two customers under the age of 18 cannot patronize at this location together, but rather one at a time.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Purchased 2 packs of cigarettes, pretzels and cookies. ALL tasted and smelled like laundry detergent. Attempted to return the contaminated items, was told since I had left the store with these items a return/refund was not allowed. Will never buy anything there again and I believe many of their items are contaminated with toxic synthetic fragrances.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Went to the Family Dollar on Shaver and Edgebrook, in South Houston for a 6 pack of drinks. Was standing in line for over 20 minutes while the seemingly only cashier bantered on with an customer, neglecting the other people in line. Finally when someone said something, did she call up another employee to check me out. Meanwhile, as I was getting checked out, a couple outside was locked out. I told the cashier, "Hey there's people outside who can't get in." Mind you, this was an hour and 45 minutes away from closing time and it was busy so there was no excuse to lock the door on customers.

I've worked retail myself and have been a key-holder at my workplace (rhymes with "Vicks") for over 10 years so I know what standard closing time protocol is, this was not usual. I go to let myself out of the door and lo and behold, I and the other customers are locked inside as well. It took me another 10 minutes of standing like a goofball at the door with the other customers until the employee finally unlocked the door. Also, the soda I bought was flat and spewed everywhere in the car. Looks like I'll be going to the Family Dollar on the opposite side of the freeway from now on because these employees clearly don't care about their job or their customers.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Does anyone EVER respond when customers need help??? What does it take to get help? I've requested help via email several times. The first time was in January 2018. Was told someone would contact me within 5 business days...it's March 9, 2018. Several times I've called the customer service number... Each time on hold more than 30 minutes.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I bought a new radio from the Family Dollar in Asheboro North Carolina at the corner of North Fayetteville and Hub Morris rd. I kept my receipt and took it back the next morning. It wouldn't work. I had it in the box. The cashier said, "Oh we ain't taking that back." I said, "I just bought it yesterday and here's my sales receipt." Then she gets louder and louder. Telling me I had to take this thing way across town to another Family Dollar. Well that did it. I said, "Why the hell should I have to drive across town when I bought this pos here and by the way kid you can show me some respect." I called customer service and was on hold for 58 minutes. And still didn't get to speak to anyone. I sent an email. No response. I now drive 2 miles extra and go to Dollar General. They appreciate their customers. Family Dollar lost over 80.00 a week that I spent on snacks. Drinks. Pillows. Rugs. Cleaner. Etc. Good riddance to Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. You did it to yourself.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This complaint encompasses 2 stores in Washington County RI. We were at the Westerly RI store and we saw an item on the shelf marked at a lower price that it normally sells for. The register said it was still the higher price, we sought out the manager/shift runner. She was rude and adamant to what the register said and made the statement that we switched prices. We left the store and promptly sent a complaint to company, never got a response. The store in Richmond RI was also a bad experience, we shopped the store and while we were there my wife needed to use the restroom, we asked the clerk if we could as my wife is on medication that prompted immediate action when she need to go. The employee told that the facility was not for customer use and that if she allowed her to use it she would lose her job. Not friendly at all. These stores need to be boycotted and not shop there as they don't care about customer service or loyalty.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I called Family Dollar Customer Service and lodged a complaint against the Cheraw, SC store. I was then given the ** complaint number and was told to check with customer service to find out what their determination is. I told the representative that I felt nothing would be done, but he led me to think otherwise. I am following up on my phone call because of the horrible service I received. I don't intend to spend one more penny at the Cheraw store until there is a major change in employees and/or an apology made to me. This happened last week and I was so upset that I had to wait a couple of days to make the call to Family Dollar which I made Feb.8 or 9.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Since April 2017 I've lived within a 3 minute walk of that store, spent LOTS of money there EVERY WEEK! But, I guess since the last month or so it's got a few new employees and new supervisor/manager so it's not as friendly as it used to be. You see, I'm a ** woman and these newer employees as well as the boss must be racist. I talked on the phone earlier about a set of unopened sheets that cost me $5.25. I had thrown away the receipt and needed to return them as they weren't needed by friend they were bought for. They were in the background discussing likelihood that they were stolen?! So when the person got back on phone, I told her, I'm always in the store shopping, and they were NOT stolen. She said bring them in!

When I get there There's as usual LONG LINES and ONE cashier, in front of everyone that cashier I'd talked to said loudly, "I don't know nothing about any sheets, let me get my supervisor". Then she comes up saying how lots of people are thieves they can't tell who they so they react like they did when I called. Well how they reacted was RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL, RACIST, and Mean! I won't ever go back to a Family Dollar store! And I'm reporting those employees to the district manager. Save your self respect and go elsewhere, stay away from the Church Square Shopping Center Family Dollar Store.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I bought 2 set of burner bowl universal for my stove from the store located on Avent Ferry street in Raleigh. When I put the bowls on my stove the smalls once fit in the stove hole but not the big one. I proceeded to return the item within the authorized frame time limit. But the cashier seems to be confused and she does not know what to do. She called the supervisor who was present at the store and they asked me to wait for a second which become 20 mins until they serve all other customers. The supervisor called her manager by phone and finally they decided that I have to come back tomorrow and already that lady manager is all the time rude and unpleasant.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Family Dollar Lincoln Avenue Vineland NJ 08361 - The manager in this store is either on drugs or needs medical help. Twice now, I have asked whether or not they carried a certain item. One time, I was in the store and asked for manila envelopes. She looked at me as though I had two heads. I explained what they were and she still did not understand. I then walked over to the stationery dept and found them myself. When I showed her what I was talking about, she seemed very confused and said "Oh." I have seen her do this with other customers in the store as well.

The other day I called (rather than make a trip to the store) and asked if they carried tinsel garland. She answered the phone (I know her voice since I shop there often). I asked if she carried the product and she did not have the slightest clue as to what I was talking about. I tried explaining and she still did not understand. Now, if she is the manager of a store and she has been there for a while (I do not know why), she should know her products. Especially since this is a Christmas item and ANYONE would know (even an idiot) what tinsel garland is.

I told her that since she "is the manager of a store, she should know what it was." That is all that I said, and she hung up on me. This woman obviously needs help, not only because of the situations described above, but I have seen her being nasty and rude to other customers in the store. She seems bewildered and confused. And does not go out of her way to help customers. She has help in the store, so I don't know what the problem is. I don't know her name, but I believe she is Hispanic, not sure. There are so many people looking for jobs that are willing to help, but this lady does not seem to like her job. I have heard her complain to other store associates about her job. If she doesn't like it, leave. She should be contacted and reprimanded. There are many other stores in the area which I can go to.

Family Dollar Company Information