1.39/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

485 Family Dollar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I entered the store and the store is very dirty and not organized at all. I was getting wet dog food and dog treats and I was looking for a new drinking cup to get also. I went to the front of the store to the register and the person was scanning my stuff up and he came to my drinking cup and it didn't have anything on it to scan it and he asked me how much it was and I said it was a dollar.

Well the other person that was working there wanted to go and check it out and I said it was the last one. They refused to sell the drinking cup to me because it didn't have anything on it to scan it. I told him he could key the item in and they still refused to sell the drinking cup to me. I was looking at something at the register and I was asking the person what it was and he got very nasty with me and I felt like I was pushed out of the store because he started to ring out the person behind me. This store is on east south street Akron. I will not go there ever again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased a girl’s shirt size 7/8 for my granddaughter for Christmas on October 24, 2018 at the ROSELLE PARK, NJ store. The cost: $8.00, not cheap. It was too small, so I wanted to exchange it for a size 10/12 or buy something else. I called the week after Christmas (before I drove all the way there) to ask about their policy & was told it’s 30 days. I explained that it was a child’s shirt that I bought for Christmas, etc. and I have the receipt and the tag is still attached to the item and that I just want an exchange or store credit. I was told NO; that is the store policy. You can be sure that I won’t EVER shop at Family Dollar for anything. If you agree, please mark this as helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Went in to pick up something and walked past the Xmas clearance so I went to scan an item and it rang up full price so I held it up to the worker (it was a 2 pc item with a little pc of tape) and the bottom part fell to ground and broke. So I said sorry and picked it up and asked the question again then proceeded to walk away and he said "what we gonna do about this?" I said, "What it fell by accident." He said exactly, "Out of your hands." I said, "It's not my fault. Your tape broke off." He then said, "You're gonna pay for it right?" I said, "No it's Xmas clearance and an accident."

He was going to call the police on me over $1.25? I said, "Over a $1.25?" He said, "Oh no you're paying the $5.00 dollars the original price it was." I said, "No I'm not. It's on clearance." He said, "I don't care. You're paying what it comes up." He was using his management to bully me and threaten me and this is not right at all. This is why I hardly ever shop at any Family Dollar's anymore and now I will no longer shop at any of them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Policy Guarantees a refund in any store with a receipt within 30 days. It doesn't specify what items are refundable. I provided a store receipt and was refused a refund by the store manager, stating that the item was opened and had to be put back on the shelf. I sent an email to the Family Dollar about my experience and basically told them they are misleading the public when they say there is a 30 day guarantee policy with a receipt, not being specific on any purchase (because they sell so much stuff). Then getting an automatic refusal from the store Manager, ** at 2900 Curry Ford Rd in Orlando, FL. Extremely poor management and misleading the public on their "Guarantee" return policies = Very poor customer service! I will do better at Walmart!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Do not shop at the Family Dollar store #09080 in Richmond Hill, GA on Mulberry Blvd. I wanted to purchase ensure for my kids due to the doctor's recommendation and it was on sale for $3 and some change. When the manager Carrie was ringing up my items, the price came up to $9.00. I told her it’s a sign stating it was $3.00 on sale. Carrie went to verify the price and she seen the markdown, but refuse to sell me all of the ensure which I had four. She only wanted to sell me two.

I asked to speak with the manager and she stated she was the manager. I explained to her that I wanted all for price marked on the shelf and Carrie said she will only sell me two. I asked for the corporate number which she provided and she went back to the ensure to take down the sign. Carrie came back to the register and told me to have a good day. I said, "Well I will buy the two packs." She told me to have a nice day again and refused to sell me the ensure which was for my kids and not myself. I have never been treated so horrible and/or been refused to be serviced at any retail store. I know she acted this way because of my race. Very poor customer service skills and I will not be supporting family dollar again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a Total Wireless phone card on 12/17/18, the card would not work. I called Total Wireless at 1-866-663-3633 and they said the card was not activated and that I needed to return to the store where I purchased it (Store #11502). I did the following morning and the girl at the counter said that there was nothing she could do. I contacted the manager later that morning, she called FD corporate, Total Wireless and her District Manager, and said The card was no good but refused to give me a refund and gave me the FD Corporate number 1-866-377-6420. I called 4 times, twice was "not during business hours", and twice left a voice recording of my issue regarding this phone card.

I have yet to receive a response via email or phone as of 1/4/18. So I called the store to discuss the issue with another manager. She was hard to talk to on the phone so I told her I would stop by shortly to discuss the matter face to face with her. When I got to the store and explained the situation to her she refused to help me with the issue at all, and kept saying "that is a corporate issue". I told her that corporate was unresponsive after multiple attempts by me to resolve the issue and I expected a refund from the store that sold me the card, and that I was willing to stay in the store until she contacted whoever she needed to resolve the issue. She got very agitated at that point and told me to leave the store or she would call the police. I told her to call the police and we could discuss the matter with the officer that responded.

When the officer arrived she claimed that I became "Very Irate" and was "threatening towards her" and that she wanted to press trespassing charges against me. I went outside with the officer to discuss the issue, he listened and took down my personal information. He then went inside the store to try to get the manager to replace the phone card, and she refused. So I left the property. I then called the FD customer care line, and have been on hold for 1 hour and 23 minutes and counting, as I am still on hold with the corporate office.

The message keeps coming on saying that they are helping other callers and that there are, "3, 2, 1, 0, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0" callers ahead of me. If I don't get a live person on the phone or appropriate response from an actual person in the next 2 hours (3 pm MST on 1/4/19) I will proceed to file a lawsuit in small claims court, up to the maximum dollar amount allowed by law in New Mexico. Your customer service is nonexistent, and your employees are beyond rude and unhelpful.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Discounts are not given! Don't shop there. I shopped the Family Dollar store #07887 at 6039 Kimberly Blvd, North Lauderdale Florida. They have a huge sign on the outside wall advertising up to (red ticketed) 75% off discount- ADDITIONAL discount take off at register (I have pics). I went to their 4 shelf DISCOUNT area where the items were and began my shopping. I had over 12 items. There are signs ON the shelves that reflect the already discounted price on ticket and the NEW "up to 75% off prices”. (I took pics of that too!) Once at the register while ringing up items I asked how much did that take off? The lady said "Nothing. These items are not discounted".

After 20 minutes of going through items, NONE of which were discounted as advertised, I asked for the manager. She said "I am the manager and those items were not discounted". I asked her to come to the shelf for proof. When she refused I asked for the owner. At first she ignored me but when a customer came up, she said "He's not here and will tell you the same thing". She must have known the male customer because he came at me not even having knowledge of the conversation and situation. I asked her to show me what items WERE on discounted sale. She again ignored me. She wasn't wearing a badge and would not give me her name. I called customer service and they called her. She lied and said I had "grabbed items from a different part of the store" which was not true.

Finally I videoed her conversation and she stopped talking to me because I called the local news station. If they are not going to honor their advertising they will lose my business. I did not spend time shopping there just to get ripped. She allowed another employee to bring her children to work. They were running the aisles, (OSHA would love that) screaming so loud the lady told them to be quiet while the manager was on the phone with C.S. The employee then had her kids watch me in the aisle (I was taking pics). She knew I had the video on and her kids were taking candy and eating it without paying. I went ahead and brought 10 more items to the register from the DISCOUNT SHELF BUT they were not discounted either. I said, “I don't want them, thank you,” and left.

Most people give in and pay for them. Say ENOUGH and hold those "advertisers" accountable. They had my number but I never heard back. Gave them three chances to do right. Guess the ripoff goes all the way to the customer service center. Owner, Leon Levine: if you read this you should do an undercover boss segment on your store! You would be shocked! Maybe not. I have not experienced this in other stores but then again they don't advertise fraud to suck you in the store!!! And no, it wasn't bring your child to work day.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I went into store #11573 in Aurora, CO. The manager there was very very rude, he does not accept any store coupons or advertised sales. The first time I went to the store they had Charmin Basic toilet tissue on sale for $4.25. At checkout it said $5.75. The manager walked with me and read the advertised sign out loud then stated he will not accept what the advertisement states. Either I purchase the item as the checkout states or leave the store, because his store is not Walmart. I went back to the same store on 12/26/2018 this time with a Family Dollar app to purchase some Persil laundry detergent. The store advertisement and $2.00 off with the Family Dollar app, again this manager will not accept either one. I reached out to customer service on the first incident. Nothing was resolved. Now I am reaching out to the corporate office to file the second complaint against the manager at store 11573.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I bought a video game system for the grandkids. It didn't work. Went to store where I bought it. They didn't have that system but a different one. They said it had to be the same so I called every store around me - none had one so my 40 bucks is gone and the grandkids didn't get a gift. I couldn't afford to buy one.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I live in Florence, KY. Lost my car keys in the Family Dollar store. The managers Jeffery & Natalie helped me look the store from isle to isle, front to back. Announced it over the loudspeaker to other patrons to please keep their eyes opened for these keys. Not only my car keys but my apartment key and I had 2 small dogs in my home with no way to get to them. These 2 WONDERFUL employees of Family Dollar went above & beyond all my expectations. Long story short, after 2 long hours this store with them helping me, going about their busy holiday season business & managing employees the keys were found, I did get home safe and sound, and in time to get my dogs outside!! If I could give them a raise or a promotion I would. Great Customer Service!!! 5 stars ⭐ This happened on Dec 17, '18.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Buyer beware, store # 11956 in Ehrenberg AZZ. When I saw an FD going up in my hometown I was very excited, the store was clean and the employees were always nice and courteous. Then in July of 2018 when I had to return an unopened soda for exchange of a different flavor. They didn't know their own policy regarding returns and exchanges and I was told I couldn't do an exchange without receipt. When I pointed out the sign behind her said I could she became combative and rude. I left the store and waited in the car while my wife continued to shop and she overheard a customer ridicule me and the employee laughed and called me an ** in front of my wife. Now this month my brother purchased with cash a Verizon prepaid cellphone.

He was told that if he had to return that he could the following after by our mother that he didn't need the phone because she was going to put him on her family plan and tried to return it, still unopened and less than two days after purchase. He was told that it was against store policy to refund that phone which is untrue. They told him that this was a third party vendor and they could not refund the phone yet there is no policy posted anywhere in the store on the receipt or on the box of the item that list this policy regarding returns. Store policy is listed on the window inside their store and easily found on their website and it states "Electronics Return Policy: Unopened merchandise with original receipt may be exchanged or returned within 30 days."

I then contacted the company thru their website by email requesting resolution asap and was never contacted back. I then returned to the store with the receipt to attempt to return item still less than 5 days after the purchase and was told by an associate that Lydia the store manager, would refund the phone only to the original purchaser. When I asked if this was store policy she said no. It was the store manager’s policy? “**”. That’s when I contacted customer service by phone.

The phone rep contacted the store, spoke with Lydia, explained store policy and instructed her that when I returned for my refund she was to treat me as “a valued customer”, her words. I thanked the phone rep and returned to the store, spoke with Lydia who promptly and rudely spoke over told me that my brother and I were no longer welcomed back in the store. When I asked why my brother was 86ed she said because he had harassed her employees and made a scene when he had initially tried to return the item. This is an outright lie.

When I asked why I was being kicked out of the store she said and I quote “because I got involved in something that was none of my business." I was stunned, I've never been kicked out of a business before and now I have yet to hear back from corporate. I've contacted them via their website and Facebook and all I get is the automated lip service and empty apology. If it were only possible to give them a negative star. #fdpoorcustomerservice.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

This is regarding the Family Dollar in Allenstown, New Hampshire on Allenstown Road beside the Rite Aid. The manager there Erica extremely rude and unprofessional. Every time you walk in the store she's talking very inappropriately ignorantly about other employees. This evening I go in to buy an Xbox Live card there's a sign hanging on the 24.99 card saying it's on sale for 12.99 for three months, when I asked her for the card she came over and rip the sign down and said it was supposed to come down at Thanksgiving that was an old sign.

I then informed her that because it was still displayed that she should honor, she over spoke me in a very rude and defensive demeanor told me that no she could not because it wouldn't give me the three months. I said I think that you should be able to override it as the manager, again she over spoke me and gave me very bad attitude. I told her not to speak to me that way. She proceeded to yell at me throughout the store in front of other customers very rude, very unprofessional. Don't know how she got that position as manager.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

This happened today at Family Dollar: I walked into store #08794 at 2102 45th Street, Galveston, TX 77550 today around noon, and I walked into the store intending to buy some cheap trash bags. I realized I didn't bring any money with me, so I was leaving to go back across the street and get money to make the purchase.

On the way out of the store, the manager stopped me and asked if he could help me. I told him I was going to buy bags but had to go get some money, and then I asked if they were hiring. He immediately told me no, and a man who I assumed was the district manager also added that no the store is not hiring. I return back to the laundry and told my wife what had occurred. Minutes later, she then went into the store to buy the bags. She asked the manager the same exact question, and he immediately told her yes they were hiring, explained how to apply, asked her name, and was extremely friendly to her in regards to her inquiry.

I returned to the store and asked both managers the reason I was told no they are not hiring and my wife was told otherwise. The store manager lied to me saying he told her they were only accepting applications, yet that isn't what he did at all. After saying yes they are hiring, he told her to fill out an application. She inquired if it was a paper application or if it needed to be done online. He told her to apply at the kiosk at the front of the store. When she told him she had to take care of some things and would return later, he made sure to ask her name.

Neither man had the decency to apologize to me, even though I was very distraught and on the verge of tears over my mistreatment. We are considering going to the media over this situation or contacting an attorney. What those two men did to me today was wrong, and I assumed they thought I was a thief. The starkest differences between my wife and I: I was dressed well, wearing a collared shirt and dress shoes, clean cut, and shaved as I am looking for work. My wife was very dressed down. She was wearing flips flops, messy hair in a clip, wearing a men's t-shirt and has multiple tattoos showing. She is **, and I am **.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Female manager in Peckville PA very rude and unprofessional. Never smiles, says hello, have a nice day, doesn't even acknowledge you. Leaves the register unattended and when you ring the service bell she takes several minutes to return and then she appears annoyed. Today I brought my items to the register to check out and she was writing something on a notepad and she left me standing there for a few minutes without even acknowledging that I was standing there. Then she proceeded to start scanning my items and literally throwing them in a bag carelessly. She hands me the receipt without even saying a word throughout the whole transaction. Sometimes she doesn't even tell me my total... I just look at the screen to see it. This woman should definitely not be in customer service. I am a very frequent customer there and if this continues I will no longer shop there.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Apparently their trainees are not properly trained. I had stopped in Family Dollar to purchase some index cards and on the way out, I spotted some Bluetooth headphones. Skeptical about whether or not they would work, I asked about their return policy. I was told I would not receive cash back, but would get a store credit. So I purchased them. They don't work and I just tried to return them and was told I could not. I could only exchange them for a new pair. They said their "electronics" policy was posted everywhere. And I went back to where I picked the headset up, and way up high, in little tiny letters, there was a sign. Seriously??? I asked when purchasing and was given the wrong info. Seems they would give me a store credit considering that!!! But no. NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN. Buy from Walmart!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I went to store 11326 in Gnadenhutten, Ohio looking for a toy, they didn't have one but the manager went way beyond customer service and found me what I was looking for at an other Family Dollar store in a different state. What a wonderful place to shop. This store and the workers deserve something nice. I just have one thing to say, this Family Dollar Store in Gnadenhutten, Ohio rocks. They get 5 plus stars from me and my family.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

If you have a stolen card, this is the store for you. Someone was able to ring hundreds of dollars, I assume gift cards, emptying my account. I tried to contact the store by phone, no answer, no vm system. I tracked down the store and went to talk to a manager or security, no security at all, no idea when the manager would be in. I emailed, phoned, and even tried Facebook to contact corporate and data later, still nothing. So much for getting the video, which probably doesn't record anyway.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Today I was falsely accused of retail theft at Family Dollar and I am mortified. I've never stolen anything. They have no proof and yet the cop gave me a letter banning me from store. I will be seeking legal counsel. Not only was I accused but employees told cops it always happens yet this is first time they have called cops. Don't blame me that your security system is faulty. Today was actually one of the few times door didn't beep when I left. I always stop and comply and have never stolen anything. This is wrong on so many levels and I urge shoppers beware. If this happened to me who is to say you won't be a victim.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Do not purchase ANY electronics from this company, their policy is to act like a pawn shop, if you walk out the door with it, you are stuck with it, doesn't matter if you have a receipt or not. You buy it, you keep it.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was treated so poorly by a female manager at the Patterson Rd, Dayton Ohio location. Over coupons that I got on their app, and was showing them it on the cell. She was smug and had the absolute worst customer service I've seen. The tall male employee kept interjecting even while having someone he was in the middle of ringing out. They got loud with me and I am not happy nor will I let this horrible service go unnoticed!

Original review: July 23, 2018

After shopping at Family Dollar for many many years I will never return to the one located at 1005 High Street Hamilton Ohio again. I was in there Saturday at about 430 pm and the two girls that was working was very rude, they was hateful ringing people up and laughing amongst their self in front of a customer that was MRDD. They really need fired. This made me so mad. Then I go after this customer the two girls was making smart aleck comments, they overcharged me. The store was disgusting. I tried calling in to contact customer service and of course I did not get to talk to anybody. If they care about their customers at all they need to get rid of both of those girls. I'm extremely unhappy with the service I received.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was at the counter with $18.62 of goods. I was one penny short. The cashier was unrelenting. I dug and dug in my purse and could not find one cent. I was with my two young grandchildren. There were no customers in line to help me. The cashier would not relent for a penny. She suggested I put something back. Over a penny. This store is at Little York and Airline in Houston Texas. Yes, I could have used a card but the situation was too ridiculous I just had to leave and won't ever be back after years of shopping there. It wasn't racially motivated either. The cashier and I are of the same race. I don't know why she wouldn't let that Penny slide but she was very firm on it. Very poor customer service. I was embarrassed to death to search through my purse for a penny that I couldn't find or didn't have.

Original review: July 14, 2018

When shopping at the store in Crawford Ga. I have all the time loved shopping there because of the manager Ms. **. She has stuck with the determination of doing her best by this store from day one. She is thorough and tries to be a fair person as far a customer is involved but could do with better help than she has. There are two in that store that could have use of better training and adjustments in their attitudes. Vickie would be the main one.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Normally I don't give reviews but I was so impressed with this one store that I had to write a review. Each and every shelf was stocked full and not an item out of place. The store was clean and the employees very helpful and friendly. I've never in my 52 years seen a store that has impressed me as much as this one. Amazing experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought some items at store #07071. The young man & woman told me I could bring it back if it didn’t work for my TV after I stated to them that I was looking for antennas for my daughter's TV. And I had already tried out a cheaper brand that didn’t work so I was taking a risk!! Now I’m here because the antenna does not work and she told me because I don’t have a receipt I can’t exchange or get a refund which I know is not true. I’ve worked in retail and anyone knows that you can’t get a refund without the receipt but you can exchange!

Now this lady see me shop here every day with my children and I’m most definitely certain she remembers selling me the items because she was the one told me to bring it back! I’m so mad. She embarrassed me in front of customers while her and her coworkers spoke down about me in creole assuming I didn’t understand. I’m so heated and I’ll never shop at Family Dollar ever in life. I’ll go to Dollar Tree or Dollar General 100 miles away even if Family Dollar was 1 block away from my condo. All I wanted was fair respect that I didn’t get.

Original review: June 10, 2018

While shopping here the Management as well as his workers mock the shoppers and right there in their faces and the manager did the same to me as if I did not know what he was doing. The faces have changed here, there are two older Hispanic people there that are good for the store but it stops there. I have been shopping here for years and this is it, I do not need to spend my money here. Good luck to all the others who feel Its the only store in west Dallas. I will go out of my way to shop.

Original review: May 23, 2018

A few months ago while visiting the Family Dollar store in Russellville, AR, located on Knoxville Ave, I heard the asst manager making racist remarks as he checked out customers. He used the N word and said when he lived in New Orleans he killed N word. Not only is this racist but it is also very alarming that he felt it was ok to talk about killing people and make racist comments in front of customers. I sent an email to corporate and two months later I'm still waiting for a reply. I have shopped at that store at least once a week for over 8 years. It's really sad that even corporate doesn't care about the customers but they continue to accept the paychecks that are paid by consumers. I'm not the only person that contacted Family Dollar Corp about this matter and no one has received a reply.

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give this store (01489) an F, I would. Extremely rude manager. I reported it to the corporate office. I received an email stating that they will contact me within 7 to 10 business days. It's been past 10 business days. I am calling right now to get an update. Holding for 2 hours now to the corporate office. Luckily, I do not have to limit my minutes. My battery is now low on my Bluetooth. This is crazy!!!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Family Dollar Grovetown Ga. - If I could I would give this store zero stars. The employees are extremely rude. They will not allow customers to use carts to take items to their vehicle. They comment if a customer has a large pocketbook or are wearing a jacket. They make you wait to be checked out until they're done with their task. When they finally come to check you out they're rude and always complaining especially Corniellis. An example, an item wouldn't scan. They ask me to go get another one. This is not on one occasion but almost every time I visit the store. I have several other examples of rude encounters I've experienced at this store. The two ** ladies are rude! However the ** lady and ** man are not.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Went into the Marietta, GA store to return an item that was too small. The item had not been worn and I had the receipt. The item had been taken out of the original packaging because I was about to wear it. I realized I picked up the right size. The item was only $6. I figured I would just exchange it for the right size. The so-called Manager (Kay) stated she could not take the item back because it had been opened. Well, that's silly!! How else am I going to wear the item... I thought, what an Idiot!! I have a receipt. It has not been worn... there are no stains!!

She refused to take it back, walked off and started assisting another customer. I noticed the customer she was assisting was returning an item. It was a propane canister. It was rusted, old looking, and she was being pleasant with the customers and exchanged their item with no problem. I was livid!!! She was an unattractive, tall, fat, ** woman and I guess she was an unhappy person and did not like herself. She was very unprofessional and rude towards me. This is the second horrible customer service experience I have had with this organization. When you write a complaint to the Corp office, they do nothing. Well ** falls from the top!! Hopefully, someone will come up with a store similar to theirs with quality customer service and put them out of business!!!

Family Dollar Company Information

www.familydollar.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.