2.7/5 (38 ratings)

About Family Dollar

Family Dollar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Dollar?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Placed $40 on prepaid card. The money went somewhere else and I took the receipt in and it's been a week and can get no response or refund from this company. The manager tried to help me but it has stalled also. Called the company. All I get is the runaround. Still no response. I can't get my money and they don't even deserve one star.

Original review: July 18, 2021

When I go to the Family Dollar in on 105 superior they never have their freezer stocked or their shelf stock and what the and the workers are lazy and the be smoke in front of the doors when you go in at

Original review: May 4, 2021

At 8:45pm my son and I arrived at Family Dollar in Zanesville Ohio store # 2933. So after fishing all day and needing a few items we stopped to grab them before the store closed. My son lost his phone in the car so we were looking for it for like 9 minutes or so before we headed inside. Started to walk in at 8:54 pm, and as soon as we got inside the doors a man says "you got 2 minutes" without even greeting us. Well I said it isn't 9:00pm yet, and he said "I don't care. We lock the door at 8:57pm" and I said, "Ok that's fine. We won't be long." So my son and I went to the medication aisle and found what we needed. So we head back towards the register and I said to the man, "See. I told you we wouldnt be long," by this time it's 8:56pm.

I asked him if he would tell me his name because I didn't like how he was talking to me and I wanted to escalate the situation to management. He then tells me "no I'm not telling my name" and I said why, and he said "because I don't like you" while pointing in my direction. Very hostile and angry with me for no reason. So I asked him, "Are you racist?" Because my son and I are colored people and it felt like he was being racist towards me. I said, "Well I'd like to your name so that I can speak to your manager please." He proceeds to keep telling me no, while his badge is not on him anywhere. As we head to the door he is following my son and I aggressively and I noticed another employee there, a female. And I said to said her, "What is his deal, can you tell me his name please?" And she said, "Well he is right. We are required to lock the door at 8:57pm," and I said I understand but it's not 9:00pm yet and I'm already done.

As I am asking her nicely for the manager's information she tells me his name is ** and he'll be in tomorrow at 8am, and I said what good is that going to do me if I don't know his name? She says, "His name is Andy, alright," and I said ok. I unlocked the door myself because she had locked it at 8:57pm. I grabbed my receipt and the time on it said 8:57 and 46 seconds exactly. I was out of there before they closed. As I'm walking out this man screams at me and says "get out of our store"??? Is that acceptable behavior from someone in a customer service role? I understand it was close to closing time and that's why we ran in and out quickly. I am beyond upset and dissatisfied with Family Dollar.

It is impossible to speak to a live person to voice my complaint. The manager at 8:00am tells me there is nothing that can be done but to write him up and retrain him. That is not going to work for me. He needs to be fired from Family Dollar and he does not need to work in customer service anymore. There is nothing that this store can do to right this wrong. I have already contacted an attorney and this will be a civil lawsuit.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I was having a problem with downloading the FD App to receive the $5.00 off coupon and the associates were very patient and kind and took the time to ensure that I was able to benefit from the coupon. I very much appreciated their willingness to help. Great job to 45th Parallel group.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I slipped and fell at the Family Dollar store and fractured my foot, I was first approached by family dollar with a $1,000 offer but said wait until I get my x-rays back due to the excruciating pain I was experiencing, found that I fractured my foot a toe along with having deep gashes in my foot and knee, once they figured out my injuries were more severe they transferred my case to their insurance provider who has now for 9 months promised a settlement but yet have, I opted to not do a lawyer because my reporting was not to make bank off of this slip and fall but to be comped for my medical and pain and suffering.

I have been patient but now I am growing tired and ready to be more vocal to cause a needed reaction. I am planning to go to media if needed to shed light on how major companies choose to take advantage of good hearted people such as myself that was not looking to con this major company! But I am a religious shopper at both family dollar and dollar tree. Been working with the following insurance Sherri **, Claims Adjuster II, AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. O: **, P.O. Box 89453, Cleveland, OH 44101.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Purchased a pack of Boost on 3/23/21. When I took the first drink it tasted weird. I check the expiration date and sure enough it was expired. Expiration was from 2019. So they are not checking items.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Not a good place to shop at if you are of color, the workers follow you around the store looking at you like you're going to take stuff without paying for it. When they see you coming they talk bad about you, very racist owners. And no mask wearing due to covid, they let anyone shop in their store without any mask on, very high risk place for covid.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I made a purchased at Family Dollar #11572 and was due change of $.78 (seventy-eight cents). The Cashier did not give me my change (coins), and did not explain why until I told her she did not give me my change back. The cashier stated, and I quote exact, "we do not give change back". What kind of craziness is this! This is pure robbery; the legal way I suppose.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I am a faithful customer to the Family Dollar store chains. There are a few in San Diego and I live close to the one on university. I have met some great employees and managers with outstanding customer service, however, there is a particular employee/manager by the name of Carol who time and time again I have seen her speak vulgarly and turns small incidents into outrageous scenes. I have seen her chase people out of the store and try to fight them in the street, I have seen her get physical with peoples property and I have seen her break under pressure. I understand there could be high stress levels working in low income communities. Yet, every customer should be treated with dignity and respect.

After yesterdays incident in which I had my child with me I am now going to advocate to have her removed from this store. I shop there almost everyday and whenever carol is working there is a thickness of a doomsday atmosphere in the store. I cannot tolerate someone who has no regards for other peoples children in a corporate store. My child should have not witnessed such a traumatic scene yesterday 9/18/2020 between 930-am and 945 am. She responded very disgusting to a family of 3 women and there are many other incidents she has handled completely unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I just shopped at Family Dollar on Nova Road in Ormond Beach. I drive up, two customers walk in without a mask so I sit in my car to wait and see what happens. Nothing! We are in a hot spot, cases are out the window. I see the cashier standing on the side of the door smoking a cigarette, okay taking her break...but she says nothing to them. I literally have no other store to go to because my Dollar General is being renovated. Finally a couple more people walk up WITH face masks so I feel a little more comfortable. I get the few items I need and go to the checkout line. Now mind you there are signs ALL over the place saying face masks required and please social distance, even on the FRONT DOOR.

When I get to the cashier I see she's not wearing a mask. I have had Covid, still suffer from long term symptoms and I know how serious this is. So I ask her, (**) "Are the employees required to wear a mask?" She says "Nope and if anyone comes in without one I don't have to say anything to them"...What??? Then she says "I have a medical condition, so I can't wear one," WOW, and she was out smoking and looked in great shape. Now I have a medical condition, other than Covid, and I still wear a mask out of respect! I WILL NEVER SHOP AT A FAMILY DOLLAR AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

So this review is for the Family Dollar in Waukegan at Park City IL. I went to this store to pick up some hair care products for my son. I was planning on putting braids in his hair. So I asked the cashier what products would she recommend in order to braid 4c hair. She bluntly told me that she didn't have nappy hair and that her hair was quote "good hair". She told me that she was biracial and didn't have that problem. I didn't ask her for her opinion on 4c natural hair only if she could recommend anything for my son.She embarrassed me and made me feel worthless. I always go to this family dollar for hair care products and always had good service. This made me second guess going back. I wonder does family dollar support anti-**? Are the cashiers supposed to be this rude to ** paying customers and get away with it?

Original review: July 23, 2020

Family Dollar LPGA-No Mask Complaint. Two days ago on 7/21/2020, I stopped at the Family Dollar on LPGA in Holly Hill, FL. As I drove up, I saw a customer coming out with a cart and a mask on his face. So, I thought it would be safe to go in. I walk in the door and a cashier/staff greets me with no mask on her face. Two months ago, a month ago, I saw this no mask on Family Dollar staff before. Today, with almost 6,000 people dead in Florida, I thought there would be masks on staff.

The female Family Dollar staff said welcome to her store, I picked up a small hand basket and took two steps into store. I looked around and no one was in the store but me. I looked at the cash register area and there was just a clear piece of plastic between me and this probably virus infected Family Dollar worker. God told me to turn my ** around and get out of there. This I did quickly. Why am I writing this complaint? Family Dollar on LPGA had continued to have their staff with no masks, last month, month before, two weeks ago and now two days ago. So, I blasting Family Dollar for being as stupid as Trump and infecting people with their stupid denial of the disease and their non-caring attitude for others. Possible Family Dollar customers, you have been warned!!

Original review: July 19, 2020

Old Fort NC Family Dollar Store have employee and store issues. Constantly boxes upon boxes in aisle ways making difficult move about in the store. The manager is a very hateful mean person. Hard time wanting to shop due to your management choices. Especially during these times, should be able to handle job and DOES NOT! YELLS at customers.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Very poor customer service! Cashier not wearing mask, just like most of incoming customers!!! Stay away from that store, if you want to stay healthy and keep social distancing. People are stealing and nobody cares! Find another store, to spend your money!

Original review: June 14, 2020

They were announcing the store will be closing in three minutes. She got madder as I was trying to decide. Then she sighed. I could have handled it better and I did swear however she made a fist and punched her hand. Manager on duty stepped in ringed me out. I told both of them to have a good night. The employee at the door that let me out apologized for the other lady behavior. However I won't be going back. Elkhart Indiana on Franklin St.

Original review: June 9, 2020

The employees are not order thing to restock this store. The shelf are very empty and this is totally unfair to the customer live close by. 17511 imperial valley Houston. Family Dollar need to full this store.

Original review: June 8, 2020

My name is Elizabeth B. My husband and I are regular customers of Family Dollar. We have been going to your Family Dollar store at 1155 Putnam Pike, Chepachet, RI. 02814 almost weekly since the Pandemic started, Wednesday 6/3 at approximately 5:00 my husband and I went to Family Dollar at the Chepachet RI location. When we pulled up I think all the employees were hanging out at the front of store smoking. There was one young man working in the store, the cashier. (Every time we have been to this Family Dollar store there are a few employees hanging around outside in front of the store smoking and eating.)

Sitting in the aisle was the cart with all the boxes where 2 boxes of disinfectant cleaning products were right on top. The Clorox wipes were in a open plastic open bag. We got one each and right under them was a box small box of microban 24. We opened and got one each of the spray. We know the policy is one per person and we were following the rules of the store. I needed a few others items which I was shopping for when the employees came back in from the cigarette break and one of them started screaming loudly so you could hear her Thru the whole store. Someone had been in her boxes. She then continues screaming to another employee. She doesn’t care who it is she is going to find them and throw them out of the store.

My husband and I got scared immediately as we didn’t want these employees screaming at us or throwing us out of the store so went and paid for our products and left immediately. We are scared to go back in the store because of the employees. As you know it’s been difficult to find paper products and cleaning products. We would like to know what you can do about this problem so we can feel safe shopping at the Family Dollar Store at 1155 Putnam Pike, Chepachet, RI. 02814.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I have been going to the local Family Dollar for years. I went to purchase several things and when I went home I had two of one thing and did not need two. I went back to return the item and was told that they do not accept returns or exchanges. That was news to me because I have made returns in the past. There was no signs on the door telling consumers that there would be no returns or exchanges. Was not told at the time of purchase that returns were not accepted. Was not on my receipt that I could not make returns. Beware of Family Dollar. You cannot return or exchange there.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

I've last visiting Family Dollar three times in the past two months since I made a review. It seems they have changed staff which is more friendly. More products on the Shelf and a store is really clean. What impressed me the most is one day I was short $3 for my purchase and the cashier paid for the balance which was $3. I'm sorry I did not get her name. This store has greatly improved. I give the store 4 out of 5 stars.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Iv visited the Family Dollar on Forest Hill Blv and Congress in West Palm Beach. In entering the store the door beeped. Cashier was not busy and paid no attention. Leaving the store it beeped again. Cashier was ringing up a customer and hollered at me why is my door beeping? Left the counter and demanded I open my bag. She was rude and embarrassed me. I showed her my Publix bag with items. Also offered to show receipt. If she had paid attention she would have noticed the door beeped when I entered the store. The customer and her looked at me like I was a thief. She was rude and didn't even apologize!! I just moved to the neighborhood and was so happy Family Dollar was only a block away. So where is the nearest Dollar General?

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was happy shopping there buying my essentials when I noticed none of the employees were wearing masks and barely wore gloves. I spoke to a girl at the register and asked, "Do you need a mask? I’ll give you one." She then said “the company doesn’t like us to wear them. They don’t want the customers be alarmed.” I personally think that is horrific. These people are putting themselves on the line for a few bucks in a time where it pays more to stay home.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I used to go to Family Dollar almost once a week, today after I asked the cashier to double bag the 2.5 liter sodas she starts in about how family dollar will start charging for plastic bags, I say I was around when we had paper bags and no one wanted plastic bags when they started, she says they found plastic bags in whales (we are in Colorado). I say I can show you some decomposed plastic bags in my basement so they are full of crap. She next starts in about how I have to bring the shopping cart back (something I always do). Bottom line I give you money. You provide goods or service. I spent 30 years in the military and I expect to be treated like everyone else. And no I will never go back.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am reviewing the Family Dollar store in Baltimore, Maryland, located on Greenmount Avenue between 28th and 29th Streets. The store is very dirty, top to bottom. The merchandise is in disarray, and shelves stand empty while trolleys carrying the latest delivery sit unpacked in the aisles for want of employees to merchandise the goods.

This is not for want of available manpower, but the lack of man hours upper management will accord store managers to merchandise items and to maintain the store. I have vowed never to enter this store again: the last four times I tried to shop there, the store was out of every single item I came to buy. Family Dollar management does not understand that you cannot sell what you do not have. Moreover, no one wants to shop in a dump.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Jo or Jennifer is the BEST worker at this Family Dollar. I never used to come here because of the rudeness of the other employees. But now as she is here I will be here everyday, I live only 2mins away. Jennifer is great with customer service and so polite. I just thought you managers need to know what kind of employees you have. Thank you, Jennifer ** 2-28-20 Friday.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

The prices advertised on the shelves are always different from what rung up and the cashier telling you she can’t do nothing about that! Who is in control of pricing and making sure customers are not being tricked? I am talking about 5631 Beechnut st Houston Texas 77096 store.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Upon entering the store in Dearborn, MI you will notice boxes and a register with a line and no cashier, as you near the back of the store if you can get there you will be met by mostly empty shelf. Many toilet paper, paper towel, and laundry soap brands are not on the shelves, the toy aisle and clothing and shoe aisles are unobtainable with a cart cause everything is thrown on the floor. This location has gone from bad to worse and I will no longer shop here. My daughter lives in Allen Park, MI and that Family Dollar is so well organized and clean it's a pleasure to go there. However it's an inconvenience when you have to travel so far and you have the exact same store down the street....maybe corporate needs to hire new management!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I asked to get a refund on a blouse that was too small.. And the manager named William would not give me a refund.. I had my receipt and all tags were still on it.. And I just bought it 3 hours before.. He said it smells like smoke which is not true because I don't smoke.. I don't think that is right of him to do that.. This the Family Dollar in Taylor Michigan on Pelham Rd. He isn't very nice at all.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Told the worker at the Falmouth store that I had food stamps for the food and bank card for the rest. She didn't say anything and rung it all back card then told me she couldn't do anything about it. We are on a fixed income and have full custody of 2 children. We struggle now as it is and then she took what cash we had left for the month. I have no idea what we are gonna do. How can we get the money back in the account and use the food card for the food. I have the receipt tks. My phone # **and email **.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I went into the store for the sole purpose of getting cash back, but it wasn't until I swiped my card and pressed the cash back option that the man said they dont offer cash back. So, I put back the item I was going to purchase, and he said he'd reverse the transaction. Two days later the transaction is listed as pending in my account. I called, spoke with the manager KD, and was told that it would fall off after the weekend.

Monday comes... It's still in pending; so, I call back. Same manager tells me it's probably due to holiday, and give it until Thursday. Thursday comes and the transaction has cleared in my account! Now, I told not 1 but 2 employees that work at the 12th Street location in Little Rock, AR about the situation, and they both said they know who the cashier is... b/c he's the ONLY male that works there. I'm just disgusted. Now my bank is involved, and I'll get my $$ back, but it's a GD shame that there's a "man" stealing from customers, and management has their damn heads in the sand. SMH. Stay away from this thieving ass location!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I went to a Family Dollar in Arkansas on 65th Street to get your great deals and was asked to not come into the store with my purse because it’s too BIG! How embarrassing is that! My purse is too big for Family Dollar! She stated, "it is posted on the door!" I will no longer to be able to support a store that is attacking those with a big purse, backpacks, or hoodies! What is this world coming to! Other customers started to laugh!

Please research this new policy. When it is snowing/stormy: I guess I wouldn’t be able to wear a jacket with a hood! A mother with baby bag will not be allowed to enter; an ill person with a medical pack will not be allowed to enter; an elderly person with a push walker/pack can not enter! I then drove to a second location and it also had a sign posted on the door. I walked into the second store and ask the cashier if my purse was too large. She stated, I didn’t look like I would steal! I am hurt that Family Dollar would allow their employees hurt customers! Shame on this company!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

The Family Dollar store in Bainbridge Georgia was dirty and I could get no help even after asking twice for help. There were two employees sitting down playing on their phones behind the cashier counter. The music was turned up loud and one of the cashiers got up and started dancing and singing. The other one continued sitting and playing on her cell phone. Other customers in the store experienced the same neglect as I did. I will not be going back to this store!

Family Dollar Company Information