4.07/5

Costco Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

I got a cream for a rash and they gave me 3 when I asked for one. Then I asked to give me one instead and I waited 30 minutes to eventually cancel it because there was no one in line. The guy kept saying 2 mins for the system to verify but when someone new came up they helped them first?? We asked what’s taking so long and he said, "As soon as the lady is done with that lady she’ll do yours." Like the lady came 10 mins before us. Why are you not helping us first? Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Ordered a refill and it had to be ordered. Waited until Monday and instead of running it through my insurance they wanted to charge me 123.00. Because they had to redo it I had to wait over 30 minutes because of their mistake.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I recently had my doctor place prescription orders with my local Costco in Westlake Village, California. I called the pharmacy a couple days after my doctor called in the order. They had NO RECORD OF THE ORDER! I called my doctor and she wasn't terribly surprised. She said Costco "LOSES" Rx orders regularly. She believes their pharmacies are too small and understaffed. To me, that's a DAMN DANGEROUS SITUATION for people needing medications!!! I LOVE COSTCO PRICES... But I gotta find someplace else to fill my scripts!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I got an automatic renewal in my e-mail. I activated it and it should have been filled last week. I checked my prescription this morning and am almost out. Turns out it should have been refilled a week ago. And of course they are closed on Sunday. I will probably change to a more convenient store that is open 24/7 or at least every day. This is vastly inconvenient to say the least.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Went to get my Rx refilled after a particularly difficult and terrible dental experience. Was told after I submitted my script that "they are busy and it's going to take 20 minutes or so..." I told them that I was already in severe pain and to please expedite it as much as possible. 20 minutes later with my jaw barely able to move and not being able to swallow. (This part obviously was not Costco's fault.) I go to get my Rx and am told, "Gee we are so slammed and it's going to be another 20 minutes ..." I replied "Are you Serious? Can you not tell I am in agony here? Why can't we expedite this for people who are obviously hurting?" My reply was, "Yeah now that would be nice huh?"

Now 25 minutes later I go to get my Rx and they forgot one of the prescriptions... I was livid and about to scream at them but of course can't even open my jaw. They scurry off and force one of the incompetents in the back to hurry it up. And about an hour later, I had my Rx. Again, I am in agony and now had to wait for an hour to get my prescription. And now have to wait for another to hopefully have the pain lessen a bit. Management's best reply was "Oh yeah. I'll talk to the Pharmacy manager..." Which meant Nothing. I won't use Costco Pharmacy again. This was the last straw for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Pharmacy?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I went to the pharmacy to fill a prescription. I went to the drop off to turn it in, after asking if they had the right brand, as my doctor filled my script early because the pharmacy I went to their brand was taking 2 hours to dissolve. I double checked and they had the brand my doctor recommended I get. They said it would be ready in a half hour. So half hour I checked. It was not ready so they said they would let me know when it was ready. Another half hour goes by I check again. Still not ready. I sat back down then all the sudden the cashiers started saying, "I'm not going to tell her, you tell her." Mind you they were loud enough for the other people waiting for their meds to hear.

Finally one comes over to me and says in a rude and snooty tone, "You are trying to fill this way too early." So I told them to call my doctor, and the reason for the early fill. I understand that they were doing their job but it doesn't take an hour to tell me this. Not to mention I was so embarrassed, because this was done right in front of several customers. The cashier took it back so the pharmacist could call my doctor 20 minutes later who by the way was very nice to me, came and told me that it would be another 20 minutes for it to be filled. The rest of the wait the cashiers gave me dirty looks and made me so upset I was crying when I got to my car.

The cashiers need to be taught some customer service, and training in the medication. I refuse to use the pharmacy at Costco ever again. I pay to be a member and I will not pay to be treated that horrible. Again the lady that checked in my med and the pharmacist were very nice. It was the 3 ladies at the cashier counter is why I will not return. I will not renew my card when due.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was recently involved in an accident that left me unable to pick up several medications I had phoned in to Costco pharmacy the previous day. My husband does not have a membership so I gave him my card to pick up the items for me. The technician at the desk refused to give him the medications (which included insulin) because he did not have his own card.

I texted back and forth with someone at Costco headquarters today to verify if that was indeed the policy. It was correct. You have to have your own card to pick up medication for someone else. Seems strange anyone can use Costco pharmacy without a membership (by state law), but they can't pick it up for someone else without a membership card.

I asked what one was to do if she could not get into the pharmacy due to injury or severe illness. Seems a likely possibility seeing as we are talking medication. In that case, I was told, one needed to use the mail-in pharmacy (guess I should have planned ahead for my accident) -- or -- find a member to pick it up. I like a lot of things about Costco--including the prices I pay for my medications, but to essentially say my well-being can be put at risk for this ridiculous rule tells me I need to do business elsewhere. BTW, I checked the policy of other local pharmacies and not one would deny medication pick-up to a spouse.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Costco pharmacy is inexpensive. However, the pharmacists at my local Costco are inept. Of the five prescriptions I have had filled at my local Costco, only one was filled correctly. Various pharmacists have gotten the other four wrong. When I have question them, a team of two or three people is sent to the counter to argue with me and blame the prescribing doctor, the insurance company of both for Costco's error. On one occasion, I pointed to the label on the medication they had sold me that clearly indicated that the prescription was not correctly filled according to Costco's own label, the pharmacist refused to acknowledge that he had made a mistake.

I had my insurance company call only to be told after a long hold during which time the insurance rep that Costco on the phone that the people she talked to at Costco were bizarrely unable to communicate with. She suggested having the prescription transferred to a different pharmacy. I don't understand why people presumably with a university degree cannot read and understand a prescription and why they cannot accept responsibility for their mistakes. I also do not understand why Costco management doesn't fix the problem with some training.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have a number of prescriptions that I needed to have filled. I called the Appleton Costco store and they said to wait until Friday to come in. Costco in Appleton, does not call you, YOU need to call them if to check on prescriptions. Also, the place I transferred all of these prescriptions to, texts me when they are ready. Costco in Appleton, WI will not go out of their way to offer any assistance this way. So, I called them twice to check on my prescriptions, thinking I could just go in and pick up my prescriptions and be on my way. Well, this was not the case. I was told my insurance was not on file (even though I had prescriptions filled in March, 2018). Hmmm, did my March prescriptions go through my insurance? I had been going to them for over 1 1/2 years and my insurance was not on computer? Not very efficient if you ask me.

I would never go back to this pharmacy. Every time I go in, I wait over 45 minutes for my prescriptions. This is not right!!! The customer is not treated very well. My advice is to go somewhere (anywhere) else. I was not apologized to for the wait. Please save yourself some grief and go to an efficient pharmacy. The prices at Costco are not that great as well. I'm never going back, this aggravation is not worth it.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I wanted to get a pneumonia vaccination (over 65) which is covered by Medicare Part B. I waited an hour and 15 minutes to be told that I would have to pay for the vaccine because the Costco system would not bill Medicare Part B. I went down the street to CVS, no wait, they said vaccination was covered by Medicare Part B, got the vaccination and was out the door in 15 minutes. Fast and friendly at CVS. No more Costco Pharmacy for any vaccines! I like Costco but the pharmacy service is terrible.

Costco Pharmacy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Costco operates over 700 locations worldwide with many of those stores having pharmacies on site. Costco also provides online pharmacy services such as prescription refills, home delivery, fulfilling new prescription orders and fulfilling pet prescriptions. Consumers do not need to be a member of Costco’s membership program to participate in their online pharmacy services.

• Prescription refill: Customers can refill their prescriptions online by entering in a few pieces of information found on their prescription label such as the warehouse and prescription numbers along with their name, phone number and email address. Customers can refill up to six prescriptions at one time.

• Home delivery: Customers who are unable to pick up their prescriptions at a Costco location can choose to have them delivered. Costco is licensed to dispense controlled substances in all appropriate states. Standard shipping is free and takes 6-14 days, three-day shipping is $10.95 and two-shipping is $13.95.

• Drug directory: Costco’s drug directory provides the pricing (before insurance) and information for all available drugs, including generic alternative information for each drug. Drug information tells consumers what the drug is and how to use that medication properly.

• Pet medication: Costco pharmacies dispense over 150 commonly used medications for dogs and cats at lower prices that rival online pet medication suppliers. With a prescription from a veterinarian, customers can fill or refill their pet’s medications. Costco has a full list of pet medication pricing online.

• Costco Membership Prescription Program: Costco offers the CMPP to its members as an additional benefit that allows them to receive lower prices on all medications. The CMPP is offered at no additional charge to Costco members and customers can apply the discounts to any medication not covered by their insurance.

• Accreditation: Costco doesn’t list its licensing and accreditation online. Consumers can call and verify both by using a toll-free number.

• Best for: Costco members and consumers seeking discounted medications.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs