1.22/5

1788 CVS Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I went to The CVS on 14636 HWY17, Hampstead NC 28443 to get a prescription filled. On this prescription the GoodRx plan was $14 cheaper this month. They both lied and told me that it was against the law to fill a prescription on a discount card if I had prescription coverage thru my own insurance. Was told by two other pharmacist at other pharmacies that that was not true and I had a VERY HELPFUL PHARMACIST AT THE NEXT WALGREENS to fill it on my GoodRx card and saved me $14 dollars. HAMPSTEAD NC CVS PHARMACY ARE CROOKS!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was scheduled to have an infusion this morning at an infusion center over an hour away. Upon calling the center to confirm delivery yesterday, I was told it hadn't arrived from CVS Specialty. Call CVS Specialty and was told that they called my doctor and Coram infusion center at 3 p.m. yesterday to confirm some details. They did not hear back so the medication was never delivered.

Why was this process of confirmation of details done at 3 p.m. yesterday and not the day before or earlier in the day??? In addition, why didn't CVS call me to tell me that they could not deliver the medication. I otherwise would have driven over an hour to find out that the medication wasn't even on site. I have never experienced such a lack of professionalism, caring, or organization. The stress of a 5-hour infusion is bad enough without having to worry about whether they delivery will occur correctly. I plan on writing to the Better Business Bureau and every top management professional at CVS Specialty I can contact regarding this. This is not the first time this has happened. Clearly customer service is not their priority.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I picked up my medication at CVS Pharmacy in Seabrook, NH and on my profile, I could only take a particular generic brand and they gave me the wrong one. They should have told me, but they didn't and I experienced withdrawals. Bad experience with pharmacist!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I experience continual CVS Specialty Pharmacy errors and CVS requires I return their incorrect shipments before I am able to receive my correct order. This occurs every month. On a monthly basis, I miss medication doses as a result of pharmacy errors. I have documented every CVS Specialty Pharmacy error and incident with dates and detailed descriptions. Blue Cross of California requires my scripts be filled via CVS mail order, I have no other choice. I have filed grievances with Blue Cross of California without support or success. I cannot understand the logic of how this process of continually needing to return drugs sent to me in error, and how this is a more efficient method versus going to my local pharmacy.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My doctor forwarded the prescription of (FML eye drops, **, 0.1%, to CVS. I called later in the morning to verify they received it. I was told it was not in stock. The woman advised they would order it and it would be in the next day. I asked if she could guarantee it would be in the next day and she advised, "yes." I was told to come in around 3:00 PM. The next day I called before going in. I was now advised that CVS does not dispense FML drops, that I would have to go somewhere else.

When questioned I was told that headquarters would not allow it to be dispensed. I was given the copy of my prescription to take somewhere else. Now what could be so wrong with these eye drops that a pharmacy would not dispense. I could see if it was ** or some other taboo drug. In any case I took my prescription across the busy street to Walgreens. I can't believe the incompetency of both of these drug stores, not to mention their behavior to the customer. Well, I am sincerely disgusted with the lack of courtesy to the customer. I will be looking for another pharmacy and it won't be CVS or Walgreens.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

2 pharmacists said they wouldn’t fill my scripts, even though they were due. Both were very mean and judgmental, laughing at me, calling me an addict, breaching HIPAA. They refused to hear me out. Hung up the phone, slammed the drive through window, walked away from me. HORRIBLE customer service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

CVS is a preferred provider for the Medicare Part D Plan I have chosen. While the plan I have is excellent and among the best I have had my years of using Medicare, CVS is the worst pharmacy I have used. Because it is the only preferred pharmacy near me, I feel stuck. The last 3 times I have filled a prescription with them, the prescription has not been ready when I arrived to pick it up. I called the pharmacy line at 7 pm on Monday and requested pick up for 11 AM. I arrived to pick up my prescription at 5 PM and was told it was not ready and it would be at least 30 minutes before it would be filled.

This is the 3rd time in several months I have encountered the same problem so I asked to speak with the manager the last two. Each time I was given the same answer: "We are understaffed and corporate is aware of the problem and working on it." An elderly lady just in front of me was back for the second time to pick up her prescription that was still not ready. She had gotten a ride to the pharmacy and could not wait any longer. Maybe CVS needs to review its salary structure and consider what it needs to do to make CVS an attractive place to work.

The employee working the counter clearly had no interest in helping any customer picking up a prescription and made no effort to find out why the prescription was not ready. When she told me "30 Minutes" she did not confirm that with the pharmacist and I suspect had I not spoken up, I would be returning to the pharmacy later this evening. Medicare plans should choose pharmacies that will efficiently and correctly fill prescription and provide adequate staffing to get the job done. CVS needs to step up.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have been using CVS Oakland CA (Lakeshore Avenue) for over 10 years or more? First let me say that my experience with the other staff has been great. They would explain everything I needed, asked the right questions and friendly. They recently hired a new Manager, Mai?? ( I think she came from Walgreens). After numerous surgeries I have proven chronic pain. I took my prescription in on Saturday. She told me my doctor needed to provide a pain management, so I asked what form he needed to complete. My doctor completed the form and was faxed to the pharmacy. I went to take the prescription to Lakeshore, was told to come back in an hour. Called to check, was told form not received, went back to doctors office, was shown confirmation they received, faxed a 2nd time.

Spoke to Mai? (Manager), she told me my doctor did not complete properly. I reminded her that this was the form she had given me. She then put me on hold for more than 15 minutes (additionally after 25 minutes in queue). Came back. Told me one would not be there until Wednesday. I said, "Okay, what about the other two." At (5pm) she tells me she was NOT filling anymore prescriptions because she was cleaning up behind other staff. So at 5pm she is not going to fill any more??? Right! CVS needs to hire BETTER staff.

These people are playing God by questioning a Doctor's prescription. Why not look at each patient separately. There are signs if someone has a problem. Today is 10/1/3028. The last time I had these filled was 8/10/2018. So why the rudeness to patients. Treating people like criminals. People who have stock with CVS should DUMP their stock. Let's see what happens when people like Mai are out of a job!!! Walgreens is even. I will check my portfolio to see if I have stock!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

After getting my pain medication for almost 6 years, on August 31st, 2018, I showed up at CVS in Truckee California (monthly routine). I had the horrible experience that the pharmacist David **, refused to fill my prescription. He came up with a false policy that he was not going to fill my prescription because we had gone through this before and the issue was that after almost 6 years getting my prescription filled there at that location (same exact pharmacy) he yelled at me and clearly told me that he had told me in the past, that I WAS OUT OF THE 50 MILE RADIUS, FROM THE LOCATION WHERE I HAD GOTTEN MY PRESCRIPTION FOR THAT MEDICINE, IT WAS ** 10 325. It was during the long Labor Day weekend, he told me that I was more than welcomed to go to other pharmacies to see, if they would fill it for me. I did, they refused to fill it.

I drove to Auburn California to get my medicine, they also refused to fill it, because in the hard copy, my doctor forgot to write why that medication was being prescribed to me. They told me, they had to talk to the doctor before they would fill it, so I had to wait, until after Labor Day weekend to go pick up my medication. I had to drive 140 miles, TWICE = 280 miles. I told the pharmacist in Auburn CA, that the reason why I was there, was because Truckee pharmacist refused to fill my prescription because I was out of the 50 mile radius. They told me that the policy, was a lie. They told me to file a complaint against that individual, David **. I called the 1-800 number and filed a complaint, so, supposedly, at the end of this month, I’ll go back to that Truckee CVS, and I will find out, what is going to happen. I just want my medication as I have done it for the past almost 6 years.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

The website says a particular location has "minute clinic" with the capacity to give b12 injections. Not true. I called to confirm and was told I could get my injection and was told, "yes." I arrived to find they have the injectable doses, but cannot actually deliver the injection. Staff there tried to be helpful, but couldn't do anything. Another location has a minute clinic and when I called, the person said, they "should be able to give the injection". After 40 minutes at the first place I would really like to know for sure. B12 deficiency causes extreme fatigue, so it's pretty annoying to travel and stand around for 40 minutes and not actually get the injection. It seems like the staff are overworked and don't actually have good information. Seems like a corporate issue.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Late afternoon Sept 21, 2018, I really had a bad experience & very disappointed at CVS PLAISTOW NH, a ** male cashier. He is very rude and racist, being said that because he treated me differently than other colored customers. He should not be working as a cashier, the job doesn't fit in his ugly attitude. Working as cashier you have to know how to approached to all your customers, not a selected in colors because we are all human being, approached them nicely, answer them nicely without raising your voice, if the customer ask a favor answer them nicely not to get mad and showed your very ugly attitude, act more professional to all your customers not just selected.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I always speak to my favorite CVS staff except for one. The staff at this branch is phenomenal and really know their stuff except for one mean young lady. She was very rude to me and my children when I came to purchase my medicine. She messed up my order previously and I tried to be friendly to her but it didn't work. I asked her to take off one item because I didn't need it. She instantly got an attitude and got mad at me. She tried to void the order but made a mistake and put the order as paid and I had change when I didn't pay anything. She asked me to sign a refund receipt which makes no sense since I didn't give her any money. Hummmm...she got really upset with me and kept repeating the total in a very nasty way.

I was waiting on my medicine and I had to walk away so I wouldn't hurt her feelings. I asked my son who is 12 to get the medicine and she had an attitude with him. I feel like if you don't like your job someone will be more than happy to receive it. Let someone else who is nice and respectful receive it since you don't want it. I will be praying for this young lady because she needs it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Would not refill prescription from Dr Because of interaction with my other meds. ** has the same interaction as this one pain pill for nighttime. I'm 67 yrs old. Have never taken pain meds. I broke my foot in a boot for 3 wks. I'm in pain, you can see my boot! Who is she to say or to call my Dr. Now she says she is going to profile me to other CVS Because I told her it wasn't right. Never go here.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am signed up to get calls or text when my prescriptions are ready. I have them on autofill. I have been using CVS for several months. I switched from Kroger to them because they are closer and I can walk there. They get my medicines messed up, they do not fill them until after I am a few days empty, they never let me know that they are filled. The people working there are not friendly and have it together. They are not quick in filling the prescriptions either. I think I have only gone one time in several months and the clerk actually smiled at me and had a correct prescriptions ready and on time. Other than that I have to call or go back and have them make it right every single time.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have really never cared for CVS Pharmacy because they have no compassion towards patients. I called in a prescription and for almost two days it had not been filled. I called them and they said they were out and their supplier was out, and did not know when the medication would come in. How is it that they did not bother calling me to explain. Then the tech said all of the local CVS do not have this medication, that I would have to call around to different pharmacies to see if it was available. I have to call? I have never in my life heard of this. What is going on CVS? I so done with you, I can tell you this! I will never return to a CVS, and have all of my meds transferred to a different pharmacy. Unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This is the worst pharmacy ever!!! I will never fill my prescriptions here again. I had to get my prescription and my Doctor said to fill it that day, then they don't. Then one-time last month I picked up the prescription on the 18th and they said I didn't pick it up until the 21st of August because I used my BofA debit card so it doesn't go through until the 21st of August but I picked up on the 18th. Now I could go through a seizure if I don't get it picked up. I would give this "pharmacy" negative stars if I could. I am going to another pharmacy and will never ever go to CVS after this last time because I have to. It is the worst. I don't think the "pharmacists" know what they are doing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I take on a regular basis a prescription for hypothyroidism. ** or another NATURAL based thyroid medication. I've let the pharmacy know in advance 9/06/2018 and it sends back a text reply that they're placing a special order for it. I give it a couple of days... NOTHING. 9/13/2018 I receive another text message saying the SAME THING. FOLKS, I'M DOWN TO 1 (ONE) PILL. I called the pharmacy this morning, What the ** did I expect??? "We placed the order, call back this afternoon." UNACCEPTABLE. I can see from the other reviews on here that I'm in "good" company??? Didn't CVS take over Aetna??? MEH...

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

CVS is trying to play doctor. Refused to fill my medication because a cheaper alternative was available. This is not the drug my doctor prescribed, nor is my insurance company forcing this change. CVS wants me to jump through hoops for them to fill it. Not happening. Transferred this medication to Walgreens and had it filled with no issues. Will be transferring all of my prescriptions over to Walgreens now.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

The CVS in Broadway Oakland California sucks... The employee are all racists. They discriminate between people. They are rude... I was surprised when I ask a lady to show me where the medicine are she didn’t help me at all. She was doing nothing. Sitting at the counter and playing with her phone. When I got angry and she realized I was angry finally she came and show the medicine with her legs. She even did not bother to point out with her finger. She pointed out with her leg... Men she might thought I am asian and cannot do anything. She is a piece of **.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I gave birth to my son who is a micro preemie. His lungs, brain aren't working together yet and he's on ** to help his neuro system remember to breathe and to help him out. It's fairly common for preemies to have this prescription. Came time to refill this important medication and CVS has decided that all of his specialists are wrong and won't fill it. My little guy is connected to an apnea monitor, pulse oximetry monitor and is on O2. CVS hasn't reviewed any of his medical equipment logs to know whether or not he needs it. His specialists review all that and as of right now his little body still needs the **. This business is playing with people's health and it's wrong! They are going to end up killing someone. Eventually pulling this garbage.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The first & worst experience I ever had at 61-15 Metropolitan Ave. (Store: 00549) in the Pharmacy Dept. by the Pharmacist by the name of ** at the Cashier. Myself and the previous customer in front of me were turn away and interrupted/cut off by ** while we were asking a simple question in regarding a medication and text from CVS that ** could have easily checked and given us an answer. We were told to go to another Pharmacist and get an answer from them. I’ve had my prescriptions, my son’s prescription and my mom’s prescription sent and picked up for the past 12 years and never gotten treated or answered like it was today Sunday, September 9, 2018 @ 3:39PM by **. Her customer service was extremely poor and unprofessional. This woman should get some customer service courses or given a excellent training from one of the great employees at this store.

My question to her was “Why I received a few text from CVS asking if I want some of my son’s prescription to be filled and now it’s not ready to be picked up? How is it that my son has one prescription ready and not the other ones I typed YES TO BE FILLED?” These type question are usually answered by the Pharmacist at the cashier. I would understand if there was a long line more than 5 customers on line but there was only 4 customers including myself and the customer in front me. Pharmacist by the name of ** very rude, unprofessional and need a lot of customer service training. I feel like she should be kept at the back dealing with the medication instead of being at the Cashier, information dept or at the Fill out Prescription department.

I’m always giving a extremely excellent review / survey about this store because everyone at this location (Store#: 00549) are very friendly, helpful, respectful, patient, very organized, very clean and very informative. Another issue I would like to point out. Pharmacist: ** should not be using someone else name at the Register because she was using the name ** as her user/login. I know ** name because I read her tag but a lot of customers would think they were helped by **, CSHR#: ** because that’s what the receipt says.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I went to CVS to shop and presented my card to the CVS coupon machine and was given a 40% off coupon. When I tried to use it the register would not accept it. The cashier was worthless. I left the store and called Corporate only to be put on hold for 26 minutes. The first person I spoke to was worthless. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with a woman named Bryn who was helpful. She told me. A $12 CVS Extra credit would be applied to my card. I went to the CVS the next day and there was no $12 rewards assigned to me.

I called CVS a second time and spoke to an unpleasant customer service person who assured me that he would take care of crediting me $14 on my card. When I went to the store two days later I was told I had no CVS card or credit!!! They offered me a new card and I told them to keep their card and I would never be shopping with them again. Bottom line CVS has pitiful customer service and they have lost me as a customer forever.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I decided to transfer my prescriptions from Wal-Mart to CVS because the location was convenient. Seven months into my experiment, I never dreamed I'd be so stressed out over the monthly filling prescriptions until I moved to CVS. The staff will do anything, literally ANYTHING, to get out of filling your prescription correctly and on-time. They will ask you personal questions in front of strangers and demand answers or else. They will treat you like a criminal if you need something controlled and they will never respect the doctor's orders if they don't want to. They will lie, conceal info, double-file scripts and double-bill your insurance and treat you like you owe them a favor because they rung you up! You can protest, you can report, you can complain. They are clearly used to hearing all of this judging by their reactions and clearly just don't care.

They love to make you wait in one line only to be sent to another and then laugh about it behind customer's back (saw it happen). To say I won't shop at another CVS is obvious. To say they don't care is also obvious. I don't expect them to change, so I changed to a better pharmacy. I have to say though, it is gut-wrenching to watch CVS staff berate and belittle seniors who need some assistance. Some of the stuff I've witnessed is downright shameful. Encinitas seniors citizens... Be very wary of CVS Pharmacy 455 Encinitas Blvd. Encinitas CA 92024. They hate you. They hate your existence. They just want your money.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Class C [?} Prescriptions were sent to CVS Spencer location last Thursday to be refilled. Saturday went to store to pick up prescriptions and ask about the two in question. Clerk looks them up on computer and says, "No we don't have them." Tell the clerk the prescriptions were sent last Thursday; they look some more. "Oh, yes we received the prescriptions, but we don't have them in stock." Ask to talk to the manager, pharmacist comes over. Both of pharmacists are new, the prescriptions were sent to their manager, who has to order them due to being class C narcotics, but can't say whether they will be filled in a few days, or a week. Pharmacist says to call after hour doctor, tell them and THEY will find a pharmacy that has the medication - Right. Tuesday (day after Labor Day) call CVS and ask whether the scripts were filled.

Pharmacists says both of the new pharmacists are not allowed to order the medication without training and it might be a week or two before they can order the medication. So CVS opts rather than taking care of their business and filling prescriptions to just leave the patient in limbo to figure it out, absolutely inexcuseable and willing be looking for another pharmacy. As a follow up, the pharmacist checked their other stores and NONE of them had the needed medicine; would have to go to several locations to pick them up. What a poor way to run a business! Sincerely hope you go bankrupt!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Pharmacy won't refill early, Pharmacy won't refill late. A Terminal Patient that gets Abused every time we deal with CVS. A Simple Cough Medication for sleep. They treat it Like ** or **. When a Patient is Terminal they should make amends not excuses.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

CVS made a decision to use 20d & 40d bottles. I've Contacted them 5 times to request they reconsider & also include the usual 13d size.The last few times I received refills the bottles were huge and unmanageable to store, that is when I started calling and doing surveys. I work with the elderly who have many prescriptions. Many of us know of, or have family who can have as many as 30 prescriptions. Just imagine the inconvenience that CVS... that stands for Convenience, Value, and Service is heaping upon us by making this decision.

The regular 13d bottle is 2 3/4" H, 1 1/4" diameter. The 20d bottle is also 2 3/4" H but now 1 1/2" diameter. The 40 d bottle is 3 3/4" H with a 2" diameter. Folks with many cannot store such large bottles. Cost to manufacture- Will this also affect our cost? Cost to dispose of- Our landfills are going to be full of needless, unnecessary waste causing major inconvenience and no value.

I received a 20d bottle and my pills were teeny-tiny, only covering the bottom of the bottle. I suggest others seeing this same issue, purchase their prescriptions at other places that use a bottle to accommodate the size of the pills. I know that's what I'm going to do. Speaking with the district manager of my CVS where I purchase my meds it was clear, even though she wasn't part of the CEO's, CFO's, and whoever made the decision, she thought our conversation was a complete waste of her time. Let's all think of the ailing, the elderly, the cancer patient, who all have many bottles. Let us all become involved if not for us, but for other who are now in this terrible position.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I hate that AETNA chose CVS for the preferred pharmacy for 2018! At least every other month when I bring my prescription into my local CVS store, they don't have my medication and tell me it will be a week or more before they will have it! Then I'm forced to drive to every other CVS pharmacy to find my medication because it is a narcotic for chronic pain! I never had this problem with Walgreens pharmacy! This is so frustrating! And because it is a narcotic, another pharmacy will not fill it! I hate CVS and when it's time to pick another insurance company this year, if CVS is the preferred pharmacy, I will choose another insurance company, which is sad because I really like AETNA! I have been with this CVS since January, almost 9 months now and they don't order my medication and know I have been getting my prescriptions filled there! I really hate CVS and have filed a grievance with AETNA so they hopefully won't use CVS anymore!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I had a double lung transplant 8 months ago! When I came home I sent all scripts to CVS. I go there 2 times a week to pick up scripts and at least once a week there is an issue. Either rude staff, abusive pharmacist, incompetent staff or pharmacist! Today was the last straw! A tech told me my insurance refused to pay for a script (they have paid for the last 8 mos.). The pharmacist last week told me I needed a script from Dr. to have a med given dry instead of being mixed. Dr. sent the script and pharmacist refuse the order. Of course I am transferring away from CVS. I worry about my mental health dealing with such incompetence.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

5 years ago, I could go to any CVS Pharmacy in the country and receive professional and quality service. The employees may not always be in a fantastic mood? But I totally trusted them and my prescriptions were filled properly. I would take my white bag with the receipt for my prescriptions stapled to it with no reservations of my prescriptions having any errors. I would leave the store with no regrets of having had my pharmaceuticals filled at that CVS Pharmacy.

In these last two years, especially, the stores have changed for the worse. Regrettably, I have started using different pharmacies in the last month. Things have gone downhill for the CVS company. This can be verified on the web if you read any articles not written by the CVS Corporation. Look into the value of the CVS Corporation and the many other companies they have accumulated. Their value should have gone down a little bit perhaps but definitely not as much as it has. (I would like to add, if you were having issues at Kroger pharmacies? Guess who has taken over them as well.)

I have worked with a local CVS pharmacy for over 10 years filling my prescriptions and they know me well. I would receive personal phone calls if there are any questions concerning my prescriptions. If the pharmacy was unable to fill a prescription in its entirety? A pharmacy would be able to provide a few tablets until my prescription could be filled completely so I would have medicine as I waited. The list of nice things my local CVS Pharmacy and other locations would do to help me is very long. These are my highlights. In these last few years? The entire pharmaceutical staff has become disrespectful and rude to all customers.

I am in a small town so everyone knows everyone. My local pharmacy would know everyone's name when we would walk in the door and always ask how certain members of our family were. I was surprised to notice, along with this friendly environment slowly ebbing away, an extremely fast change in staff, particularly in these last few months. I wanted to know what was going on.

I should backtrack here. Instead of saying every staff member is rude and unprofessional? There are staff members who are still attempting to be very helpful, as helpful as possible, and trying to help. It's just the CVS company has their employees'/managers' hands tied and they are now unable to help very much if at all. The frustration I can see in my CVS staff friends' faces is heartbreaking.

So I went online and simply searched "CVS problems." Wow!! That's when I realized I was having the same staff problems many of you have stated. The staff at the CVS locations have legitimate complaints. I believe the staff at the CVS locations are overworked and underappreciated by CVS. Not uncommon for staff at any company, but CVS is becoming a particularly difficult company to work for. In years past, I would rarely see a sign hastily written and posted on my CVS door asking for new staff. Today? Every time I drive by? There is a "Help Wanted" sign up.

You can search online and find many former CVS employees and current employees stating their issues with this company. There are a lot of things CVS is doing to their employees and asking them to do that is downright despicable. CVS is definitely telling their staff that their customers are to be handled differently if they complain. The staff as had to choose, job? Or us, their customers? As for the actual CVS pharmacies? CVS is cutting back in a lot of areas in their pharmacies (primarily pharmaceutical availability) and leaving their employees to handle facing us, their consumers. I think it is terrible what CVS is doing to their employees! Putting them in the position of trying to explain what is happening.

I did a lot of research. I mean months and months of research about CVS. I interviewed employees and former employees. I read countless posts from consumers... posts from employees of CVS... many articles that CVS publicized about itself... information proving how much CVS's value has dropped, especially in this last year, 2018. I finally went to the CVS website and contacted their corporate office. Loaded with my information and references, I started speaking with an uninformed consumer affairs representative. She quickly realized she was in over her head with me as I knew more about the CVS Corporation than she did. She transferred me to a "regional director" of CVS. Probably the director for my area.

The conversation with her went well until I challenged her on many points. I did not tell the director I already knew the answers to several questions I was asking. She was misdirecting me as much as possible away from my questions. She repeated some of her same answers over and over. Suspiciously, these repetitious answers for the same I had been hearing, almost word-for-word, as the answers I had been given at the CVS stores. I kept bringing her back to my questions and finally told her what the answers were. At this point? She became rude and started yelling at me. She said everything the CVS pharmacies do is exactly as policied by the FDS and CDC. This was her only defense of the CBS Corporation acting as it has been these last few years toward their consumers. Of course they're following FDS and CDC guidelines. Otherwise? Our government would have closed their doors.

That was my first call to the CVS Corporation. Since contacting the CVS Corporation by that phone number at their website, I have called the corporation two more times. Both times, again, the Consumer Affairs person immediately directed me to another director. The reps in the conversations both of these times were not messing around. I think my name was already on some list as a troublesome person perhaps? That is fine. (FYI: Are you aware that CVS will add to your medical file at their pharmacies whether or not you are a "troublesome person?" By "troublesome person"... I mean a person who simply asks questions, wants staff to check things like are their prescriptions being filled with the number of tablets requested by their physicians, ask enough questions of the pharmaceutical assistance that the pharmacist needs to come out to answer questions? This is something I have known for 20 years.

Oh, and a tip I have learned from CVS pharmacy staff, always have a >staff member< open your bottle and check the number/type of tablets inside to make sure you are getting the quantity/product prescribed >>>prior to you ever touching the bottle!<<< Once you touch it? CVS cannot correct anything if there is something wrong with the prescription. Even if you are given an incorrect medicine. Also, they are no longer allowed to give you a few tablets to hold you over until an order comes in, in most locations. This is slowly being weaned away from all locations. So please, if you want to be certain your prescription is correct? Ask the staff member/pharmacy cashier to open your bottle in front of you and confirm everything is correct about your prescription. Even if others are waiting behind you in line I would do this!)

Back to my calls to the CVS Corp "Director" reps: I continued repeating my questions. As before, they went unanswered and I was usually directed away from my questions. Again, those repetitious answers I'd already heard countless times from their store locations and other corporation representatives! I am starting to believe they have some sort of a script to rally questions from consumers like me. Consumers who are truly looking for answers to CVS problems.

I ended my conversations all three times by telling these directors the answers to the questions I have been asking. These people were dumbfounded and did not expect one of their consumers to know what has been going on at the CVS Corporation. Everything is online. It is easy to find. You, too, can easily find this information. If nothing else, just bring up the thousands of posts you have seen from CVS consumers complaining over and over about the same problems at CVS over the past three years. The representatives really do not want to hear this. Which is great! But they need to know we know! We need to tell them!

I urge everyone, instead of posting your complaints about CVS online and speaking out at your local CVS franchises/stores, please go to the website for CVS. You can contact CVS Corp. by letter, email, or by telephone. Be prepared! You do not want to speak to the initial person who answers the phone. You want this person to transfer you to another person. And perhaps another person after that! These are the people who are able to report your complaints down the correct pathway to be heard by the necessary people at the CVS Corporation. Having worked in the consumer industry all my life? I can tell you from personal experience complaining to a cashier, pharmacist or even a store manager is of no use. You must get your voice heard in the corporate office!

CVS.com. The website is easy to remember. I posted it above this passage. The more consumers who contact the CVS corporate office directly the better I believe we will find our stores improving their service to us. I strongly urge phone calls over emails and letters. Emails and letters generate those already prepared consumer responses which usually do not even address what you have just complained about. Phone calls are more personal and are always recorded. You are also in more control over the direction the conversation goes. I, personally include true compliments about my local stores, so the CVS Corporation knows I do not have a personal vendetta against their store brand. And I don't. I have always liked their stores in the past I would love to see them return to the way they used to be. That is why I have posted this very long message.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I needed to pick up one prescription, purchase ** and for the third time cancel an automatic refill on a prescription that I did not want. The cashier was snippy and wanted me to re-order my customer requests. During the authorization for ** which is a controlled substance, the computer crashed and the cashier had to go to a second register. I was then denied the ** because the system thought I had already just purchased it.

Instead of correcting the computer error, the cashier suggested my grandson use his ID to purchase a controlled substance. I was the one who is purchasing **, not him and technically it’s against the law to do such a thing. The automatic refill on a prescription that I did not want I had requested twice before to stop. The cashier told me that if I did not want the prescription I should’ve informed CVS before. I had done that two times already. If CVS is going to have an automatic refill system that will harass its customers, it should make very sure that it is operating correctly and only refilling prescriptions customers request.

CVS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

After quiring Target in 2015, CVS is now the largest chain pharmacy in the United States, operating in over 9,000 locations. Its online pharmacy offers services such mobile prescription pickup, discount prescription drugs, new prescriptions and refill management and drug information.

• Prescription delivery: CVS offers home delivery for prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Consumers will need to create an online account complete with a full health profile, doctor and insurance information. From their online account, they can order prescriptions and choose the home delivery or in-store pickup option.

• Family member management: By using their online account, consumers can input family members’ information and manage their prescriptions without going to the store. Families can schedule ongoing prescription refills and take advantage of free home delivery.

• Accreditation: CVS is accredited by URAC under five areas of pharmacy. These areas include Community Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefit Management, Drug Therapy Management, Specialty Pharmacy, Mail Service Pharmacy and the Health Call Center for Pharmacy Advisor counseling program.

• Drug information: CVS provides customers with online drug information to keep them informed about the drugs they are taking. Using the drug interaction checker, customers can learn about how different drugs interact with other medications, supplements and vitamins. CVS also provides an online pill identifier where consumers can input pill markings, color and shape to identify the pill.

• Mobile app: CVS has a mobile app that can be used to manage online accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Customers can use the app to make picking up prescriptions in the store fast and confidential. By clicking the “Pick up prescription” button, the app generates a barcode and a number that the pharmacist can scan to identify your personal information.

• Best for: customers seeking an easy-to-use online pharmacy.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs