Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5
Based on 4,918 ratings submitted in the last year

CVS Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have lived in many cities and tried many other pharmacies. I keep coming back to CVS. I think a lot of their success is their excellent online system for ordering and tracking prescriptions. It makes taxes a lot easier at the end of the year, but better than that, I can monitor my medications and order refills on my own. One of the newest features they have is that when you are ordering a refill, they will let you know if the manufacturer offers a coupon discount for the medication, and they tell you where and how to get it BEFORE you place your order. This has saved me a bunch of out-of pocket cash, that I still get credit for from my insurance company.

The staff at my store in El Cajon, CA is exceptional. They are all friendly, personable and happy. Even when the line gets long on the weekends, everyone behind the counter (including the pharmacist), jumps onto a register and cleans the line up in minutes. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes and there are 5-million people living here in San Diego area. We wait in long lines for everything. But at least at CVS they get the lines cleaned up quickly.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Best pharmacists ever at Escondido South store in San Diego. I have been coming here for over two years and want to let everyone know how kind, thoughtful and caring my two pharmacists Nancy and Hugh have been during that time. They know me by name and have consistently delivered stellar service and never fail to act in my best interest and the best interest of my health with my prescriptions and advice on those prescriptions. It is a very busy pharmacy but they have always made me feel that they had time for me and my questions. They are to be commended. Thank you for all you do for me.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. The staff probably 4 at least was great. I picked up a prescription of Diabetes test strips in April. The charge was $16.64 (I knew it should be $0.00). I asked the cashier if she was sure and she said yes. I explained to her that I was asking because If I paid that $16.64, CVS would be sending me a check for $16.64 in 4 to 6 weeks. 5 weeks later the check arrived explaining that it was a credit for an overpayment. I sat on it until that same prescription was due for refill. When the cashier told me that it would be $16.64 I asked the cashier if she was sure and she said yes. I explained to her that I was asking because If I paid that $16.64, CVS would be sending me a check for $16.64 in 4 to 6 weeks just like this one and showed her the check. I then asked her if I could use that CVS check to pay for the refill. She told me that she could not accept the check.

I asked her if that was because they do not trust checks from CVS because CVS was not a good and trusted corporation. THAT GOT SOME ATTENTION. I then explained that I would not mind paying the $16.64 with my credit card and depositing the check, but I thought I might be able to save CVS $50 or 60 dollars if she was able to find the error and prevent the expense of repeating the check refund process. I explained the bank charge for the credit card, the auditor's expense, the accounting department personnel reviewing and confirming the error, The accounting department sending to the accounts payable department. the accounts payable personnel reviewing and verifying the payment and verifying the mailing address and then approving it, the expense of having a check printed, the expense of putting the check into an envelope and mailing it.

By the time I had gone through that I could see her gears another associate, the pharmacist, and manager gears all cranking. I ADDED that if I was deposit the check in my bank there would probably be some expense involved in processing the check and getting CVS to forward the money to my bank so that they could credit my account. At this point the committee spoke and the manager asked if could make a copy of the letter which had accompanied the check. I NATURALLY said, "Of course. Please do." She assured me that she would not make a copy of the check. I replied "Feel free to copy it. I am not afraid of you knowing who CVS banks with or having information about CVS."

After some discussion it was determined that the problem was probably caused by a policy which does not allow CVS to recognize and bill supplemental Insurance plans. I asked if they had many customers who might be old enough to be on Medicare and might use a supplemental plan. Before I left I promised them that I would be back in three months with another check from CVS for $16.64 to see if it could then be used to pay for the new refill.

BTW I will not feel bad if this review is not published. After an extensive search I was not able to find a place to send a message to customer care so I hope that this information gets forwarded to them. IF THIS SITE WERE TO ASK for a star rating I would give the staff at CVS 5 stars. HAS ANYONE BOTHERED TO READ the paragraph below? I am checking it in spite of the wording which would prohibit any all customers of CVS from checking if they had ever made a purchase "business relationship with this organization". Have your corporate lawyers seen that?

Original review: March 14, 2019

My wait time is generally 10-20 minutes - on busy days I may have to come back to the store, I don't consider this a negative. The pharmacy holds prescriptions for a good amount of time if I cannot make it there to pick the up. The SMS service is handy. My only negative is that there is a rotating staff all the time. I have not had the same pharmacist(s) for longer than 6 months it seems. The new faces are friendly and are knowledgeable, but it would be nice to have a pharmacist stay at a location. I suppose I am just nostalgic for a time when things did not change so often.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently received a Drug Recall letter from CVS of ** 100 mg, 50 mg and 25 mg tablets. This recall was issued because an unexpected impurity was found in these products that may cause health risks. I was notified that their records showed I may have received a prescription for ** and I received a complete list of Lot numbers and NDC numbers and Drug strengths Affected. I did not receive much information over the phone however, when I took my medication to the CVS pharmacy (with the recall letter), they checked the information on my bottle as well as recent prescriptions I had received from them. And, informed me that none of my Drugs were on the Recall list. My wait time was less than 10 minutes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

My Rx at the local CVS after insurance was $516.00. When I check with CVS cares the mail order service for CVS same Rx was $144.00. Big difference. Always be sure to check. Do no get ripped off. The stores do not care they have set prices.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

CVS offers many coupons for discounts as well as a loyalty card that earns coupons for money off future purchases. The savings can really add up over a period of time. You can get discount coupons of up to 40% off a purchase, and quarterly cash back coupons.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I have had many excellent experiences at the CVS pharmacy in Ship Bottom, NJ. On numerous occasions, they have helped me with prescriptions on which I needed extra assistance or needed quickly. Today, the pharmacist, Anna Marie, was extremely flexible in giving me a refund for medication that had been purchased in error. She did not need to do this, I am very grateful.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I used this pharmacy for the first times yesterday afternoon. The lady who came to the counter asked me what I needed, began to tell her why she was there and then she cut me off to ask my name. I gave her my name and asked her if she understood why I was there since she cut me off and she said yes. Then asked me again. Very rude for no reason and gave me the wrong medicine which I didn’t realize until I got home.. not to mention each time I called - it was at least a 30 minute hold time. Think I’ll find another pharmacy.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

CVS is one of the most expensive pharmacies. I constantly pay double for prescriptions at CVS than at other pharmacies. Their customer service is awful. I’m harassed by automated prescription calls constantly. This morning, I called to submit refills for 2 prescriptions I have on file (this request went through successfully). Less than an hour later, I get an automated call saying that I had 2 eligible prescriptions and would I like to get them refilled? HA. This type of stuff makes it clear that they have no idea how to manage accounts.

Want to speak directly to a pharmacist? Good luck! You’ll definitely be on hold for at least 30 minutes listening to the god-awful music or, even worse, constant audio ads, before you’re connected to a pharmacist. It’s clear that they have a shortage of people. I don’t blame the pharmacy workers, I blame a company that clearly does not care about customer service or their members. PS. They don’t provide health insurance for any of their employees for the first 90 days. Some “health care” company.

CVS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

After quiring Target in 2015, CVS is now the largest chain pharmacy in the United States, operating in over 9,000 locations. Its online pharmacy offers services such mobile prescription pickup, discount prescription drugs, new prescriptions and refill management and drug information.

• Prescription delivery: CVS offers home delivery for prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Consumers will need to create an online account complete with a full health profile, doctor and insurance information. From their online account, they can order prescriptions and choose the home delivery or in-store pickup option.

• Family member management: By using their online account, consumers can input family members’ information and manage their prescriptions without going to the store. Families can schedule ongoing prescription refills and take advantage of free home delivery.

• Accreditation: CVS is accredited by URAC under five areas of pharmacy. These areas include Community Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefit Management, Drug Therapy Management, Specialty Pharmacy, Mail Service Pharmacy and the Health Call Center for Pharmacy Advisor counseling program.

• Drug information: CVS provides customers with online drug information to keep them informed about the drugs they are taking. Using the drug interaction checker, customers can learn about how different drugs interact with other medications, supplements and vitamins. CVS also provides an online pill identifier where consumers can input pill markings, color and shape to identify the pill.

• Mobile app: CVS has a mobile app that can be used to manage online accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Customers can use the app to make picking up prescriptions in the store fast and confidential. By clicking the “Pick up prescription” button, the app generates a barcode and a number that the pharmacist can scan to identify your personal information.

• Best for: customers seeking an easy-to-use online pharmacy.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team