CVS Pharmacy

Compare Online Pharmacies

Research top Online Pharmacies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Every month I go to fill my generic ** Perscription and they NEVER have it! It's always one excuse or another usually blaming the DEA due to limited supplies. I have read that's not necessarily the case. I have read that the pharmacies like to give some of us the runaround. They red flag you for whatever reason they choose! If they don't like the way you look, God forbid if you show up in sweats and a hat they can judge you for being unkept and therefore label you an addict. I have also gone in all dressed up so what's the problem here? Switch doctors due to insurance coverage or what not, they red flag you as you hop around to different doctors. Try to get at another pharmacy because they don't have it, now you are a pharmacy hopper, red flag, you are now labeled! Show any kind of attitude because you have to do without your meds, who wouldn't be irked when you're in pain, yeah they flag you as an addict!

I didn't know all this until I researched this. I have felt like this for the last 2+ years, is it just my luck they never have my meds, why am I always singled out! I went to fill my script yesterday. The girl looks at me, looks at the script, then says we might not have that (that's before she even checked the computer), then she says it was a day early, come back tomorrow. I asked her if they are going to be out of the next day, she said more than likely! (How was she to know?) So I go back (early) the next day, they don't have it. A few months ago they said it was too early to fill when it was 4 days past the refill date, due to they didn't have it. Only one time in the last 6 months they have it and I didn't have to run out completely and be in pain.

I have multiple chronic conditions which should not be in their control to judge me, give me the runaround and play their games! It's my doctors call on what I need and how often, they know my health status, not CVS! I take exactly per day as I am prescribed and in 30 I am out and get my refill on a steady basis, that's all I want! They make me feel inferior when they tell me, "We can't fill that today" and they won't even tell me when it comes in next because they don't know, or so they say! I have been on these meds for roughly 7 years for my conditions. I need these to combat my pain and then they make me go without and stay in pain. I have to go to this pharmacy only right now because I signed a pain contract with my doctor. I am calling my doctor to see if I can change this.

Right now, I am very limited on seeing any doctor because no ones takes my Marketplace insurance. I need to see my orthopedic doctor, I can't until the other insurance takes over next month. As soon as the other coverage begins, I want to ban CVS altogether! I'm just really fed up with being treated like a second rate citizen by CVS. I'm hoping I can find someone to help me put an end to what they are doing. They also treated a friend of mine poorly by leaving her a sticky note attached to her scripts telling her they won't fill her combination of scripts anymore. She was irked because why didn't they call her in person and explain why. It's her doctor to make that determination and they could have called her doctor also if there was a problem.

To my dismay our insurance carrier changed from Walgreens to CVS 01/01/2017, proving to me the old saying you get what you pay for. My experience has been on 2 of 4 occasions the pharmacy did not have prescription available, I had to wait a day and spend my time and gas for double trips. ** wait 2 extra days and common blood pressure medication needed 90 day supply they could only supply me with 30 days and at a higher cost to me in the smaller amount??? I have NEVER EVER had this issue at any Walgreens. This shows poor inventory control or lack of CVS wanting to keep inventory on hand, which is terrible customer service for medical needed prescriptions.

I am a diabetic requiring an insulin shot five times a day. My local CVS Pharmacy started handling my medications in October 2016. In that time, I have been without insulin shots for nine weeks due to the pharmacy's inadequacy. My doctor writes my prescription for shots and needles at 150 for 30 days, which is 5 times a day. Because the box of needles come in 100 count, my CVS Pharmacy will not open a box to give me the other 50. Instead, they use another refill on my prescription.

My last prescription was written December 8, 2016 for 150 needles for 30 days with two refills. It is February 7, 2017, sixty days after the prescription was written and I am out of needles. When I called the CVS Pharmacy, I was told they would not open a box for the other fifty. Instead I needed to call the doctor for a new prescription. Upon calling the doctor, they will not give another prescription since it was written correctly. I am now without needles and have 30 days before my prescription will be refilled by the doctor. I will not be getting my insulin in those 30 days because the pharmacist (or tech) won't fill the prescription correctly.

When I called a new pharmacy to transfer to, I was told they most certainly can break a box open and the pharmacy was responsible to fill the prescription according to the directions from the doctor. When I contacted CVS again, I was told by a very rude woman that it was not their policy, it was not their problem and if I needed the insulin to call the doctor's office to fix doctor's mistake. When I contacted CVS again for the needles owed (because yes, I don't want to die from diabetic coma due to negligence on CVS's part), I was told I was being treated fairly.

Because CVS has filled the refill every 20 days, I have been charged each time, paying a co-pay every 20 days instead of thirty. At the moment, CVS owes 50 needles for the past 6 prescriptions but refuses to send them, a total of 300 needles. In order to get the correct amount of needles, I was told to have the doctor write the prescription in increments of 100, so I would need a prescription for 200 needles instead of the 150.

I placed a order on CVS.com based on a email sent by CVS. I was shipped something that was close to what I ordered. Contacted CVS.com via email and was told that the warehouse decided to send something that was close, but not what I ordered. Turned out the item I ordered was out of stock. In stock now but the 30% discount is no longer available. CVS customer service said that since I did not have a account (I ordered as a guest) they could not help me. The CVS website accepts orders that they cannot fill since the item is not in stock. This is a pharmacy and the warehouse personnel determine what item they can substitute. I believe that this is fraud.

I have had nothing but trouble dealing with the Morons at the Specialty Pharmacy. I have Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and have no choice but use this incompetent service. I haven't received any medication since November! I had my doctor renew my prescription to get my medication and still nothing has been shipped! What's the problem? Apparently you hire people with less a 20, IQ. How hard is it to send an order to the correct pharmacy for pick up. I take 4 pills a day and have had NONE FOR TWO WEEKS NOW!!! I'm calling the Attorney General myself and my physician is also filing a complaint... It is illegal to withhold medication!! If I am hospitalized due to your negligence and ignorance you will be receiving the bill. SEND MY MEDICATION OVERNIGHT ASAP OR I WILL CONTACT MY ATTORNEY AND FILE CHARGES.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

I dropped off a prescription for ** for my 13 year old & the next day I instructed him to take his med with breakfast before going to school. A few hours later I got a call from the school nurse saying my son had took sick while in class. Days later passed and I received a called from the CVS pharmacy saying my 13 yr old was giving the wrong meds and to bring it back. My 13 yr was give 60 mg ** which could have killed him! I am so thankful the effects didn't kill him but that was a very huge mistake! I am seeking legal advice for this matter because something has to be done!

It's ridiculous all that you have to deal with when you pick up medications often at drug stores. This is part of my business. The wait is horrible. The mistakes happen and the people usually look wore out. But this place can never ever seem to get it together and today I handed them three peoples' scripts making it three a piece. These are sick elderly needing meds and they told me if there were any problems they would call. An arrogant Steve I think was his name said he called and my box was full. He's a liar. They could not fill one lady's meds. They don't take her insurance, but never told me the others some were out of pocket expense. No one told us again. The guy was rude and ran over top of me talking as if he was on speed himself. Very rude. Done with this store Lake Orion Mi CVS. I try not to go there due to their crazy ran pharmacy but thought I could give one more try. It's never been a well ran pharmacy but it's getting worse!

The store is open until 9pm but the pharmacy is only open until 8 pm. I dropped my prescription off and they said it would take awhile to be filled. I told them I would come back. They should have told me they closed earlier than the store. I returned at 8:30pm and the manager was not allowed to get me my medicine or the prescription to get it filled elsewhere. I had to wait until the next day to get my medicine that I needed that night.

Rude ass pharmacist, dumb ass unhelpful manager. I have been going to this pharmacy for about two month, same scripts. She wouldn't even look just refused me. She suggested 24 hour Walgreens. They informed me she called and said not to fill. Who the ** does that? If you're unhappy with your job, quit. I've worked in customer service my whole life and have never treated anyone so terrible. The manager had no clue what to do or say, think they should get one with experience. ** you CVS. You just lost my business and I'm dying, 52 different pills a day... Your loss.

CVS has become such a joke to work with. I had a prescription for two different sleep medications to alternate every other day. I have filled them like this for the last six months with no issues. My doctor is aware of what I'm taking because he is the one writing them! I was called by the pharmacy saying they can not fill them because they can't be taken together. I am aware of this because they AREN'T taken together. They have now listed my prescription as invalid and will not fill my prescription even though there are refills on them and it has been filled this way for the past six months.

They also constantly refill prescriptions that I do not tell them to refill. Many different times their auto refill will say a prescription is ready but when I go to pick them up they say they don't know why it says that because it's not ready. They are extremely overpriced on many medications that I can get at Walmart or Walgreens for much cheaper! My ins is in network with CVS so that is the only reason I go there to begin with. But after this experience, enough is enough and I will be taking my business elsewhere!

Dr like using CVS but the CVS Pharmacy is overrated. The wait time on the phone is very poor. Pharmacy trainees or interns do not have enough supervision or monitoring in filling prescription. The pharmacist does not always have enough time to answer questions about medication. Lines are too long to pick up medication prescribe by the Dr. Lack of security at night. Reorganization and more monitoring. Prices are higher than other pharmacy. But the best thing about them is they're 24 hour open.

They are sufficient, sometimes better, sometimes less so but generally do a good job. Staff is always friendly and respectful. There is usually a wait any time I go but at off-peak times it is usually shorter. The drive-thru is the same though often quicker than going inside. I usually take my small dog when using the drive-thru and they often give her a doggie treat which she greatly looks forward to. This alone is a small detail that could be a deciding factor in choosing a pharmacy.

The clerks and pharmacy staff are nice. The store is clean. I feel that there should be more incentives to the rewards program. The wait time could be better. Also, I had a concern about receipt of an automatic message from one pharmacy in another town which I don't usually use. When I called about the message I was told that they didn't see anything in the system that I should have been called. This happened a couple of times. I was concerned about my personal information.

My wife signed up for digital receipts at the register. Guess what? She changed pharmacies. I remain a CVS customer and to get my digital receipts. Nope. Wife used her email. I sign into my account and guess what? You cannot manage digital receipts OR EVEN go to page to view your digital receipt signup information. What company would not integrate that into your account settings? Now I call the pharmacy and they can't change your settings (I think they can but don't know how - after all they signed up my wife) nor does the front end that "manage your extra care account" according to pharmacy. Now I have to call for help. No tab on the menu of my account for "help" or even "contact us". Who made that brilliant decision? Now I go to internet and find number and they are closed weekends and I have to call Monday. Wasted lots of my time and will have to invest more. Almost too much for simple request. Just poorly set up.

As a type II diabetic, I use pills to control my sugar level. I have premium insurance to cover the medications that I use, however, by changing my pharmacy to CVS, I have seen an extensive hike in my glucose levels since I started using the CVS pharmacy medication. To prove the point, I have changed to a small pharmacy and the exact same medication that I was receiving from CVS pharmacy is now controlling my glucose level exactly as prescribed by my physician. That is not a fluke. That is my life we are talking about!!! If you are seeing a great fluctuation, change your pharmacy. The hustle in pharmaceuticals is real.

Google fake medication for yourself. The insurance companies are in the game to save money... The big chain pharmacies are in the game to save money. We as consumers are trying to save our lives at the least expense. Fake drugs for real disease is wrong. If you suspect you are using fake drugs... you probably are. Contact the FDA in the US. This is crazy to give/sell people snake oil, instead of the needed medication we need to cure or restrain life threatening diseases. In comparison, the medication 10mg ** from CVS is half the size of the local pharmacy I recently change to. Healthcare Reform... we need to focus on Pharmaceutical Reform. CVS pharmacy customer... BEWARE!

Good store but pharmacy works and moves slow. Always a long wait time, sometimes 20-30 mins. They have shown some improvement recently. They should be more customer oriented. Some employees do stand out however, doing a great job. Hours now short on Saturday. Also, reward program is confusing and I've never been notified of any rewards although I've had 100's of prescriptions filled. I do receive the store awards but not pharmacy ones.

I called before I went to pick up my medicine. And the guy said "When you come drive to the outdone lane." I did that and the lady Barbra was rude, didn't speak and said "You need to come inside with a insurance card." I felt she was if more rude because of my race. Her and the guy working was laughing and looking at me. I want to be contacted and my insurance wasn't applied.

I have been a customer of CVS for over ten years. Customer service can always be improved. Sometimes the customer isn't greeted in a timely manner or told they'll be with them shortly. My money keeps them in business, so always treat the customer right.

I don't find their rewards programs encompassing enough. I prefer a group that is willing to assist and in medicine regimen to ensure that you are getting the utmost benefit from the medication prescribed.

The people at the pharmacy are great. The line is so long at times and drive thru is packed. Sometimes have to leave and come back another time. It's too bad that medical insurance companies force their subscribers to use only one store.

A convenient location with hours that work for me. However, to pick up is a chore. Often you have to wait in line at least 5 to 10 minutes. When I am out of refills they say they will contact my doctor. A week goes by so I call my doctor and she has no record of a CVS request. I also hate getting texts from them about prescriptions because it is impossible to identify what drugs they are referencing (I take a lot of drugs) without calling them.

CVS Pharmacy have a long delay on issuing the prescription because I'm not frequently needing to have a prescription filled. They need a system for people who drop by every 8 months. The verification of insurance or contacting the Dr. is an obstacle. But I do like that they are always knowledgeable on options of a substitute, if the prescribed medication is unavailable or unauthorized by the insurance carrier.

Our pharmacist is the absolute best, but CVS took over the Target Pharmacy and their bottles are extremely difficult to read. The lettering is so small that even with readers you can't read them. Also, you have to wait until the day your RX runs out to call in a refill. This is not good because we travel for business and might need more meds while out of town.

When we need a pharmacy we usually go to CVS because there are several stores fairly convenient to us. Store is open most (possibly all) of the time but it should have additional and easier parking. Store was clean when it opened but now their interior is so-so and seems grungy and in need of a sprucing up. Their staff changes frequently and some staff are helpful but many are not.

Their reward program used to be better but now tends to use apps which I do not have the ability to use since I do not have a smart phone or iPhone. Price check/rewards machines are often out of order and advertised specials are often not readily available. Prices on vitamins have become rather expensive. Unfortunately CVS is not a preferred pharmacy for our Medicare insurance.

The store is 24 hrs, but the pharmacy closes early in comparison. The reward program is fair; I use the coupons from time to time. However, the prescription refill program doesn't allow the customer to response to alerts via text. The text alert system doesn't let the customer cancel prescription refills or identify the medication being refilled. You have to enter your customer portal account or call to cancel a refill (not always report accurately) or determine which medication is being refilled.

Because my 3 requests weren't accurately cancelled, my family member picked up medication refill that I was no longer using. If I was not alert enough, to note the error I could have taken the medication with my current medications & overdosed. When I called to resolve the matter, initially the pharmacy representative held me responsible. The matter was finally resolved. CVS has a monopoly on prescription refill plans w/ the last three insurance plans. I'd prefer to the option to select my own. Lack of competition in a capitalistic society is not just.

I love the personal service I get from everyone I encounter at the Eagle Valley CVS. Everyone there are always so friendly and helpful. And the pharmaceutical team is superb with all the customers and their questions. So I am always confident with the information and advice they share with me.

CVS Pharmacy mail order prescription service provides pricing competitive to WalMart Pharmacy pricing. CVS keeps your prescriptions arrival to you in a very timely manner and they don't hesitate to keep contact with you about any of your medications and their statuses. They provide auto-refill and auto-ship options and they also communicate very well.

They are very accommodating and their pharmacists are usually helpful even though it takes a long time to get to them when I call by phone. I live right around the corner from CVS. I wish their pharmacy would be open more hours so I don't have to go to the 24-hour Walgreen's which is farther.

The CVS in Placerville, Ca has the worst customer service. They are extremely slow and everytime I go there it's a problem. They have told me that I don't have insurance when I do or tell me that I no longer have my current insurance. They quote me a time to pick up my message but when I get there they aren't ready or the pharmacist is gone to lunch, and they wouldn't let my sister pick up my meds once. They told me meds would be ready in 15 mins so I waited for 2 and a half hours of hearing "it'll just be a couple more minutes" every 15 minutes and it made me late for work.

When a company makes an error that results in a customer having to come back to get script filled (and be late to work as a result) they should sincerely apologize and move them to the front. Today that was not the case. When you get your script filled every 30 days and need it to function, they should have it available. One should not have to call days before to check if it's in stock or have it ordered (per CVS if it's on the shelf they give it out, which means they run out at times). Very poor service for regulars. I expect to have an issue at least half of the time and even so, if the techs would just show some sincere empathy and acknowledgemental I'd probably forgive it, instead of excuses or blame.

When calling the pharmacy most of the time I am so rushed I can barely get a full sentence out, again poor service. I know some things are beyond their control (insurance companies are not doing and the pharmacist can't control this), but they can control filling orders in the very timeframe they give you and if they fail to have it done, apologize and make it right. I have never filed a complaint review, but today I had it. This is nowhere near the first time this has happened and sadly I am positive it won't be the last. Next month most likely I get to go through the same thing. CVS please dedicate some time and resources into customer service, resolution and de-escalation.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

After quiring Target in 2015, CVS is now the largest chain pharmacy in the United States, operating in over 9,000 locations. Its online pharmacy offers services such mobile prescription pickup, discount prescription drugs, new prescriptions and refill management and drug information.

• Prescription delivery: CVS offers home delivery for prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Consumers will need to create an online account complete with a full health profile, doctor and insurance information. From their online account, they can order prescriptions and choose the home delivery or in-store pickup option.
  • Family member management: By using their online account, consumers can input family members’ information and manage their prescriptions without going to the store. Families can schedule ongoing prescription refills and take advantage of free home delivery.
  • Accreditation: CVS is accredited by URAC under five areas of pharmacy. These areas include Community Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefit Management, Drug Therapy Management, Specialty Pharmacy, Mail Service Pharmacy and the Health Call Center for Pharmacy Advisor counseling program.
  • Drug information: CVS provides customers with online drug information to keep them informed about the drugs they are taking. Using the drug interaction checker, customers can learn about how different drugs interact with other medications, supplements and vitamins. CVS also provides an online pill identifier where consumers can input pill markings, color and shape to identify the pill.
  • Mobile app: CVS has a mobile app that can be used to manage online accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Customers can use the app to make picking up prescriptions in the store fast and confidential. By clicking the “Pick up prescription” button, the app generates a barcode and a number that the pharmacist can scan to identify your personal information.
  • Best for customers seeking an easy-to-use online pharmacy.

Compare Online Pharmacies