3.68/5
Based on 4,959 ratings submitted in the last year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

CVS Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Best pharmacists ever at Escondido South store in San Diego. I have been coming here for over two years and want to let everyone know how kind, thoughtful and caring my two pharmacists Nancy and Hugh have been during that time. They know me by name and have consistently delivered stellar service and never fail to act in my best interest and the best interest of my health with my prescriptions and advice on those prescriptions. It is a very busy pharmacy but they have always made me feel that they had time for me and my questions. They are to be commended. Thank you for all you do for me.

Original review: July 26, 2019

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. The staff probably 4 at least was great. I picked up a prescription of Diabetes test strips in April. The charge was $16.64 (I knew it should be $0.00). I asked the cashier if she was sure and she said yes. I explained to her that I was asking because If I paid that $16.64, CVS would be sending me a check for $16.64 in 4 to 6 weeks. 5 weeks later the check arrived explaining that it was a credit for an overpayment. I sat on it until that same prescription was due for refill. When the cashier told me that it would be $16.64 I asked the cashier if she was sure and she said yes. I explained to her that I was asking because If I paid that $16.64, CVS would be sending me a check for $16.64 in 4 to 6 weeks just like this one and showed her the check. I then asked her if I could use that CVS check to pay for the refill. She told me that she could not accept the check.

I asked her if that was because they do not trust checks from CVS because CVS was not a good and trusted corporation. THAT GOT SOME ATTENTION. I then explained that I would not mind paying the $16.64 with my credit card and depositing the check, but I thought I might be able to save CVS $50 or 60 dollars if she was able to find the error and prevent the expense of repeating the check refund process. I explained the bank charge for the credit card, the auditor's expense, the accounting department personnel reviewing and confirming the error, The accounting department sending to the accounts payable department. the accounts payable personnel reviewing and verifying the payment and verifying the mailing address and then approving it, the expense of having a check printed, the expense of putting the check into an envelope and mailing it.

By the time I had gone through that I could see her gears another associate, the pharmacist, and manager gears all cranking. I ADDED that if I was deposit the check in my bank there would probably be some expense involved in processing the check and getting CVS to forward the money to my bank so that they could credit my account. At this point the committee spoke and the manager asked if could make a copy of the letter which had accompanied the check. I NATURALLY said, "Of course. Please do." She assured me that she would not make a copy of the check. I replied "Feel free to copy it. I am not afraid of you knowing who CVS banks with or having information about CVS."

After some discussion it was determined that the problem was probably caused by a policy which does not allow CVS to recognize and bill supplemental Insurance plans. I asked if they had many customers who might be old enough to be on Medicare and might use a supplemental plan. Before I left I promised them that I would be back in three months with another check from CVS for $16.64 to see if it could then be used to pay for the new refill.

BTW I will not feel bad if this review is not published. After an extensive search I was not able to find a place to send a message to customer care so I hope that this information gets forwarded to them. IF THIS SITE WERE TO ASK for a star rating I would give the staff at CVS 5 stars. HAS ANYONE BOTHERED TO READ the paragraph below? I am checking it in spite of the wording which would prohibit any all customers of CVS from checking if they had ever made a purchase "business relationship with this organization". Have your corporate lawyers seen that?

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 14, 2019

My wait time is generally 10-20 minutes - on busy days I may have to come back to the store, I don't consider this a negative. The pharmacy holds prescriptions for a good amount of time if I cannot make it there to pick the up. The SMS service is handy. My only negative is that there is a rotating staff all the time. I have not had the same pharmacist(s) for longer than 6 months it seems. The new faces are friendly and are knowledgeable, but it would be nice to have a pharmacist stay at a location. I suppose I am just nostalgic for a time when things did not change so often.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently received a Drug Recall letter from CVS of ** 100 mg, 50 mg and 25 mg tablets. This recall was issued because an unexpected impurity was found in these products that may cause health risks. I was notified that their records showed I may have received a prescription for ** and I received a complete list of Lot numbers and NDC numbers and Drug strengths Affected. I did not receive much information over the phone however, when I took my medication to the CVS pharmacy (with the recall letter), they checked the information on my bottle as well as recent prescriptions I had received from them. And, informed me that none of my Drugs were on the Recall list. My wait time was less than 10 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had such a positive experience with the staff, Eden, Casandra, Winnie and Alex, at CVS in Kalihi on Wednesday evening, January 2. While waiting for my shingles shot, I observed how well they interacted with all the customers, directing them to the right window and answering numerous questions. They were pleasant, patient, caring and service oriented. Eden, Casandra and Winnie were bilingual and freely conversed in both Tagalog or Ilocano, and English, putting the customers at ease while they waited to place or pick up their prescriptions. The Pharmacist Alex, worked quickly to minimize the wait for most who were there after a day at work or eager to get the prescribed medications home to their ill family members.

The teamwork was evident by their efficiency, the cleanliness of the store and their knowledge. When my medical insurance coverage indicated my cost for the shot was high, Eden reconfirmed my cost, then advised me of the amount. I assured her that it was accurate and I would pay the $170+ fee. It was reassuring to know that she took the effort to double check my coverage and to advise me before the pharmacist administered the shot. This is a small neighborhood CVS Pharmacy, the concern and work ethic of these young ladies is admirable. They should be commended for the outstanding job they do and are definitely assets to CVS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

There is a help wanted sign outside yet if you fill out a CVS survey, and are honest about your experience Martha won’t hire you. She is very mean spirited. She forgot that we are all customers and we all have the right to good customer support.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I'm currently researching different health insurance plans, as I'm currently transitioning into a new job. Unfortunately most of them have high deductibles and I'd have to pay all of my prescriptive drugs upfront until the deductible is met (some even have a $8,000 deductible)! I called CVS Caremark to ask what my prescriptive drug costs would cost under these new plans, including my old employer's plan under COBRA. They told me they could not disclose the prices until I purchased a new plan. They said their technical system doesn't have the capability, which I believe, but I think it's a poor excuse. I used to be a Product Manager at a technical company and believe it's not built yet because Management wants to profit off its customers. If this wasn't true, then management would understand the legal repercussions and harm it is doing to its customers.

Here's a few examples on how CVS is making profit off of this: Many customers forget to research what their drug costs would be upfront and then get stuck into a long term binding health plan that they cannot get out of until usually a year later. Others may do the research upfront but if CVS, one of the biggest pharmacies in the US, says they don't have the ability to disclose prices until after you purchase the plan, then where else are you going to go? Many will have to take the gamble, which is what I'll have to do as I have no other pharmacy coverage since the medical plan I am going to select partners with CVS Caremark. (There aren't many affordable medical plans for me to choose from so my options are very limited).

Luckily I am relatively healthy and my drug costs are relatively low. I have a migraine medication that I'm a little worried could be priced close to $1000 but it's TBD. But put into perspective there are a lot of people who need more expensive medications than I do for serious illnesses. Many medications cannot be stopped overnight without safety risks when one experiences a lifetime hardship, such as a loss of job or increases in pharmaceutical costs, etc, so customers are forced to somehow pay these expenses to CVS Caremark or take the risks and stop the medication treatment. CVS Caremark is exploiting customers for the sake of business by not disclosing prices upfront to shoppers and it needs to stop. I will continue to advocate against this until it ends and CVS Caremark begins to become more transparent. Regards, Alexa **

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I would love to say I'm very happy with CVS but our two local CVS' one is in a very old strip mall which doesn't have a drive thru! The only business in the whole place is the pharmacy. They never seem to have most of the scripts I need and dont keep them in stock, always have to order it! The technicians and pharmacists are very very kind though so that's the only reason I go in there. The other CVS is just miserable, my scripts ARE NEVER ready when promised, it is the slowest pharmacy I've ever used. Actually both of these small town pharmacies only have one pharmacist and one technician working at all times. I feel bad for them cause they work like dogs and I dont think the company has much money or they would treat employees better and update the older stores.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Not only did I not get any reminder that my prescription was ready. I had to wait an additional day after the prescription was suppose to be filled and there excuse was "We had a lot of orders to fill". Unacceptable! I was told I would get a call notification never got that, never got a call from a technician to say it was ready nothing at all. I had to go there just to find out if my prescription was ready because they never answer the phone. I have seen the same experience with my friend and their situation made mine look like a walk in the park. CVS Pharmacy is worthless.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I have had a bad experience trying to get in touch with someone from CVS by calling the 1-800-746-7287 number. For 3 days, I have tried to call at different times throughout the day to be able to speak to someone. Each call had me waiting for over 15 minutes, which is unacceptable for a customer care phone line.

CVS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

After quiring Target in 2015, CVS is now the largest chain pharmacy in the United States, operating in over 9,000 locations. Its online pharmacy offers services such mobile prescription pickup, discount prescription drugs, new prescriptions and refill management and drug information.

• Prescription delivery: CVS offers home delivery for prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Consumers will need to create an online account complete with a full health profile, doctor and insurance information. From their online account, they can order prescriptions and choose the home delivery or in-store pickup option.

• Family member management: By using their online account, consumers can input family members’ information and manage their prescriptions without going to the store. Families can schedule ongoing prescription refills and take advantage of free home delivery.

• Accreditation: CVS is accredited by URAC under five areas of pharmacy. These areas include Community Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefit Management, Drug Therapy Management, Specialty Pharmacy, Mail Service Pharmacy and the Health Call Center for Pharmacy Advisor counseling program.

• Drug information: CVS provides customers with online drug information to keep them informed about the drugs they are taking. Using the drug interaction checker, customers can learn about how different drugs interact with other medications, supplements and vitamins. CVS also provides an online pill identifier where consumers can input pill markings, color and shape to identify the pill.

• Mobile app: CVS has a mobile app that can be used to manage online accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Customers can use the app to make picking up prescriptions in the store fast and confidential. By clicking the “Pick up prescription” button, the app generates a barcode and a number that the pharmacist can scan to identify your personal information.

• Best for: customers seeking an easy-to-use online pharmacy.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs