CVS Pharmacy

CVS Pharmacy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5
Based on 1,971 ratings submitted in the last year

CVS Pharmacy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Pharmacy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I watch for coupons from CVS. They lower the prices of lots of items like Don Pablo Coffee and Whitman's boxed chocolates. I can't find better prices on these items anywhere in town. I like that!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

My CVS is close by. They carry just about anything you need. Their selection of vitamins and supplements cannot be beat. The prices are competitive.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

The vitamin brands offered by CVS have been ranked high by Consumer Report and the prices are reasonable and selection excellent. It is also convenient to fill prescriptions at the same place where my vitamins are sold.

Original review: July 30, 2020

My only complaint with CVS is they do not have a contract United Healthcare which would lower the prices greatly. I just do not understand why they do not participate, to me a makes good business sense. Staff is great. CVS Exton PA Lincoln hwy.

Original review: June 6, 2020

The pharmacist are always helpful and very professional (** and **) as well as all the other staff. Especially the lady with "red hair". She always greets customers with a smile and always extends herself for us. This time she helped me find diabetic cough syrup. They always try to save me money. The guy that waited on me yesterday was very helpful and in such a "jolly" mood. It spilled over on me. What a great team in the store and the pharmacy at this CVS 11120 Patterson Ave 23238.

Original review: April 20, 2021

Recently, I called the Bloomfield CVS pharmacy (451 Bloomfield Ave, Newark, NJ 07107). I am very disgusted and disappointed for the amount of time I spent on hold. As a provider, we use our e-scribe system to provide the quickest service to the patients we serve. My patient reached out to me early today to inform us that the prescription we gave her was not covered by the insurance company. Where is the customer service sending the patient to inform the provider of this. CVS has many times in the past used cover my meds in addition to calling the provider, to rely this information; this was no done. I have the alternative medication I would like to change the prescription to and I can not get through to CVS pharmacy at all.

I have been on hold now 52 minutes. Do you think it's appropriate to keep a provide on hold for 52 minutes, in counting, to speak to a pharmacist? The option for the providers, as I can imagine, is to provide faster service to providers. I did get a receptionist who picked up along the 32 minute wait time to place me on hold, yet again without an explanation of why. I would provide you the name of the person however, when they answered they did not introduce themselves. This is horrible customer service and goes against everything your company represents. As your website states helping people on their path to better health and creating unmatched human connections to transform the health care experience.

This does not exemplify such a statement. It is opposing to say that CVS is creating unmatched human connections, when a provider calls and has to wait 57 minutes (in counting) to speak to a human; especially when the last hour I have spent listening to computer system play music with an automated announcement every 45 seconds. It is opposing to say your helping people, when after 59 minutes on hold a pharmacist finally picks up the phone. She does apologize for the wait. However, when I questioned her to see if she considered an hour long she hung up the phone.

Luckily, after 40 minutes of waiting on hold, I called from another phone to see if it was just my call or all calls being held on hold for that long. Could you imagine her surprise when she answered the next call and it was the same caller she just hung up on, what are the chances? This time I asked for her name and an explanation. She laughed rhetorically and said she did not know what happened. Erica, as she claims, did not offer an apology for clearly making a mistake. Not only did I wait on hold for an hour I now find out that the alternative medication is not supplied at this store. She states to try a specialty pharmacy.

When I asked for clarification and a possible number to call she could not offer any other help than to state simply, "It's not supplied here, when I try to order the medication the system does not allow me." Erica was very dismissive, unfair, and otherwise displayed unacceptable customer service. As you can see why wouldn't I be frustrated.

Original review: April 15, 2021

When I tried to pick up some prescriptions my doctor ordered at CVS, I was astounded to learn the CVS does not accept the military insurance program. It is shameful that CVS does not serve military families or veterans.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My sister picked up a prescription. I opened the bag to find the wrong dosage of insulin. I called and was told I had to pay for it even though it was their error. They said I should have checked it! Pharmacist screwed up and it cost me 94.00! Beware - at CVS you have to check up on the pharmacist!

Original review: April 8, 2021

After waiting on hold for more than 30 minutes, I finally hung up and drove to the Store’s location only to find the RX was still not ready. This is after they had the script from my Dr. for over 5 hours. Poor service does not begin to describe this pharmacy.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I gave CVS an out by first contacting CVS Corporate Customer Service and again with the District Manager for the location. Had I or my daughter (vaccine recipient) received an honest appraisal of of the chaos that ensued on April 4 at the Hemingway, SC vaccine site, this comment would neither be necessary nor appropriate. CVS has a means by which individuals scheduled for vaccines are alerted via texts to confirm the vaccine appointment. Once that is complete, on the day of the appointment, the recipient receives a text and ‘signs in’ 15 minutes before the scheduled appt. Next step is in-person sign-in at the site. Straightforward and should make the process trouble free.

On April 4, daughter received confirmation via text to sign in for her 11:00 appt. and entered CVS. First, there was no one at the desk to confirm appts. When someone did finally make their way to the front (15-20 minutes later), she was informed she did not have an appt.... and the next person in line, same thing. By this point, staff are yelling at one another ‘she doesn’t have an appointment’, ‘make sure he has an appointment’; even after checking the computer, confusion reigned — staff yelling at one another while they tried to figure out what was going on. Even when my daughter showed them her confirmation text, they were skeptical.

When they finally started lining people up (still no explanation as to HOW they figured out that the people there had legitimate appointments, most of which appeared to be second vaccines). Daughter was first in line: she noticed 3 syringes on the table. The ‘contractor’ picked up one syringe, injected her and immediately put her head down and said ‘you’re going to hate me’ — that syringe was empty. She seemed to be comparing the ‘empty’ syringe against the one that appeared to be filled and told my daughter that she would have to give her another shot which she did without any further explanation.

While my daughter was ‘waiting’ during the 15 minutes, she had a conversation with another recipient; she shared her experience and learned from that recipient that the ‘contractor’ administering her vaccine refused to write down the Lot Number on her vaccine card, citing that they were supposed to get stickers and handwriting the lot number would take too much time. Certainly seems that the contractors were not in their best form that day.

Suffice it to say, my daughter has NO idea if she had 1 vaccine, 2 vaccines or none. Speaking with the the district manager was useless: CVS suggests they did an investigation and swore she was NOT given two injections (that’s a flat out lie — she took pictures of her arm with two holes next to one another). CVS also suggested that, after checking their ‘records’, she did, in fact, receive the Covid vaccine and added ‘besides, if you had been given two vaccines, you would have had significant side effects’. Was it really necessary to add that wrinkle to an already screwy situation? Ultimately, the district manager acknowledged CVS in Hemingway were having a bad day— to quote, it was a ‘people-y’ day suggesting that the vaccine the recipients were the problem.

To date, my daughter has lots of questions that haven’t been answered thoroughly: did she get her second shot or not — as disorganized as they were from the start, can she believe that their ‘records’ are even close to being accurate? Is there any way to tell and perhaps shouldn’t CVS have some responsibility in making 100% sure in some way other than viewing doses — frankly they could have reduced the dosage for others to make sure their numbers looked correct.

Did she get two Covid vaccines that day? Just because she didn’t land in the hospital with serious side effects, does that guarantee she only had one? If she had two, what are the ramifications of that down the road? And lastly, her first vaccine at that site was no less chaotic but at least the list of recipients was correct — she was waiting in line in the store for 2+ hours because they required vaccine recipients to sit in a chair and hold a timer (15 minutes) but only had three chairs and three timers so that slowed things down to a crawl.

The fact that CVS flat out lied that my daughter was given two shots (claimed the contractor caught herself before injecting), one supposedly empty and the other with the vaccine is a major problem in my opinion — she has verifiable proof (two pictures taken in the parking lot) that it happened and there’s no excuse for that, ‘people-y’ day or not. Making a joke about something this important doesn’t speak well for CVS.

CVS author review by ConsumerAffairs

After quiring Target in 2015, CVS is now the largest chain pharmacy in the United States, operating in over 9,000 locations. Its online pharmacy offers services such mobile prescription pickup, discount prescription drugs, new prescriptions and refill management and drug information.

• Prescription delivery: CVS offers home delivery for prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Consumers will need to create an online account complete with a full health profile, doctor and insurance information. From their online account, they can order prescriptions and choose the home delivery or in-store pickup option.

• Family member management: By using their online account, consumers can input family members’ information and manage their prescriptions without going to the store. Families can schedule ongoing prescription refills and take advantage of free home delivery.

• Accreditation: CVS is accredited by URAC under five areas of pharmacy. These areas include Community Pharmacy, Pharmacy Benefit Management, Drug Therapy Management, Specialty Pharmacy, Mail Service Pharmacy and the Health Call Center for Pharmacy Advisor counseling program.

• Drug information: CVS provides customers with online drug information to keep them informed about the drugs they are taking. Using the drug interaction checker, customers can learn about how different drugs interact with other medications, supplements and vitamins. CVS also provides an online pill identifier where consumers can input pill markings, color and shape to identify the pill.

• Mobile app: CVS has a mobile app that can be used to manage online accounts from any Apple or Android mobile device. Customers can use the app to make picking up prescriptions in the store fast and confidential. By clicking the “Pick up prescription” button, the app generates a barcode and a number that the pharmacist can scan to identify your personal information.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team