1.22/5
Based on 222 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 22, 2018

405 Burlington Coat Factory Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

Stopped at store No. 01008 Military Rd. Niagara Falls. Went in to buy my granddaughter a pair of shoes. Got to the cash register a only one was open. After the sixth person got in line another opened. Paid for the shoes and the cashier said she need my phone number. I said no and she said she could've complete the transaction without it. I refused my phone number and asked why she needed it. I was told so they could text me a copy of my receipt. She had my receipt in her hand. I said that one will be fine. She still said she needed my phone number, again I refused.

She finally gave me the receipt she had grasped in her hand. With my granddaughter in the cart I headed for the door. Almost turned the cart over when I tried to walk out the door. The wheels had locked up. An employee came over and said, "You can't take the carts out the door." All I had was a pair of shoes, my Granddaughter and my receipt. What would someone with a cart full of purchases do to get the stuff to their car. I will never shop there again and I will tell everyone I know of my short experience at Burlington and hope the NEVER shop there.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Their return policy doesn't mention any limitations but when I attempted to return a couple of items, I was told that it couldn't be done within the next 6 months. Since it's past their normal return time frame I'll only receive a store credit based on their current (not original) item price which is usually less. If there is limit on a number of returns - it should be posted or otherwise clarified to customers bUT apparently Burlington is not interested in fair and customer-friendly business. I will not shop there again and will advise my friends to avoid this joint.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2018

STORE #363 YONKERS NY. I must say I thought I was taking it personal when they kept losing my layaway. I thought they just didn't like me but when the layaway was done under a different name and they lost the layaway with no care in the world but to tell you, "We will refund your money," like that was going to make you feel better on how they handle the items you took almost 2 hrs in the store to look for that you really wanted to have. The layaway was done two weeks ago and all the manager [Vivian] cared about was refunding the money but not even to bother to really look for my layaway. I'm very upset because this is the damn fifth time doing it to me and something has to be done about it because it's like the employees are wasting people time thinking you have your items to pick up to get nothing but a refund in return.

I'm very dissatisfied with the layaway system they have in this store and I only come to this store because they have very nice clothes for my size and household goods but it looks like my relationship with store will have to stop. IF I don't have money on me to shop can't go in the store because the layaway sucks for real. And I only do a layaway for 2 weeks so imagine I would of waited 60 days to receive nothing but a refund because they lost my layaway. This just don't make any sense and I think the employees are stealing the layaways and the managers don't have a care in the world to tell you, "I will give you a refund and 15% off your next purchase." Really. I want the stuff I picked out and that was put on layaway because you can't give me 15% off of that because you don't have the item no more in store. SMDH.

Then you make a corporate complaint and they tell you someone will call you and guess what, after 3 hrs of waiting I had to call the store to see if they found the layaway and the manager I spoke to says to me, "Let me see," and ask his service manager and he states to me that they refunded my money because they couldn't find the layaway and I told him that he doesn't know what he is talking about. He has a open whole in his mouth for no reason because I'm still waiting for someone to call me back. SMDH. The manager told me that he will look for it and will call me back but you can guess what they doing which is nothing. They are lazy and are not looking for nothing and waiting for me to show up to the store to get my refund. "He will call you back today," [Service Manager] which he never did.

Once again I called and this time I spoke to Vivian the manager from last night who never relayed the message to any of the managers to let them know that a layaway from missing to see if someone can find it. She ask for my name and number and also the name and phone number the layaway was done under which she should of had from the night before. So now this really shows me that nobody cares about looking for anything. Their end result to solve the solution is to refund the money at the end of the day. Very disappointed but once again now I have to wait until Vivian calls me back.

I really think corporate should step in and handle the situation. Enough is enough. If refund is the only solution in regards to their layaway flaws and human errors then why waste people time standing on a long ass line hoping you are able to hold the items for someone to come back to picked them up. You are suppose to be here for the customers and make us happy but guess what I'm not. I really had enough. So if this store is not meeting their numbers for sales this is an area where most of your problems are. LAYAWAY LAYAWAY LAYAWAY.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We are so grateful to employee named Paul at Burlington in Staten Island. We have forgotten a back pack with important documents inside. If it was not him we would have lost it. He found the back pack. We were absent for 3 hours and the back pack was still there. We are grateful to Burlington, Paul and all people who didn't take our bag. Thanks God.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I've been shopping at Burlington Coat Factory for over 30 years. I recently made a large purchase (paintings, mirror, clothing) and when I went to return some of the clothes which didn't fit right, I was denied the return "based largely on The Retail Equation (TRE)." It stated to call some phone # for more info, which I did. I received an email which showed purchases and returns I made at Burlington since 2015. It NEVER said I couldn't return anything on my original receipt. When returning items, I've always had my receipt and the original tags on the items. NEVER had any issues like this in any other store.

Since I am disabled, I can't get out as much. When I do shop, it's a large purchase so I won't have to keep coming to the store constantly. From now on I WILL NOT shop at Burlington again!! I WILL BE telling EVERYONE I meet NOT TO SHOP AT BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY and how they track their customers! I'll also be sure to blog and post any in all review forums regarding this. Loyal customers should not be treated this way!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Burlington Coat Factory?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Our son bought his Dad a $50 gift card for Christmas in 2016, and paid cash at Alberton's Grocery Store in Portland, OR. His Dad and I, his Mom, went shopping in 2017 and did not find something his Dad wanted, so later, I, his Mom, would go shopping... and again... nothing! We finally gave the card back to our son who purchased it for his Dad, and he went to purchase articles there... And the card had NO BALANCE! We called your customer service reps several times, was treated nicely, but during the last call, the representative said that someone before Christmas, in 2016, went to grocery stores and scanned the numbers of gift cards, and then used those numbers to BUY things... Fraudulently! We are disappointed that you would not stand behind the purchase of the gift card and redeem the $50 for us.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I rate Burlington 1 star. They get my orders messed up. I ordered clothes for my children (6 occasion dresses), and one woman wristwatch. They didn't send the wristwatch, telling me it's been sold out and they have not refunded my account, and they say my account has been reverted. I am sick and tired of the treatment Burlington gives me. Give me my refund Burlington...

Original review: April 7, 2018

I order weekly from BCF online and have had nothing but fantastic experiences each time... One time, an item was missing and they promptly refunded the price. I can't say enough good things about Burlington online... I've got some great deals here! The shipping is fast, packaging is good and I'll continue to shop online for the convenience of it. If something didn't fit, I'd send it back... No issues... Customer service has been perfect too... Thanks!

Original review: March 27, 2018

A few days ago, I purchased two jackets for my son. This was my first online order by the way. When I opened my package, I noticed one of the jackets were the wrong size. I called customer service and of course they offered no kind of discount for the inconvenience. They had tagged the jacket the wrong size. Tag said 18/20 but coat said 14/16. Now I will have to hope and pray that they have the right size jacket when I go and return. Very disappointed and I will never order online again...

Original review: March 17, 2018

The Burlington on Branch Ave is the worst and the manager Kiana only works there to steal layaway items that she likes. Every time I put an item in layaway it ends up missing... Smh... They need to throw the whole store away.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I would not give any stars! I purchased clothes for my great grandbaby but I never received my order! I called Burlington the minute it said delivered but it wasn't delivered to the address it was suppose to go to or I would have had it in my hands and didn't! I had to go to Walmart to purchase replacement clothes! I disputed this charge over and over again with proof that we never received our order but they insist on me paying for product never received! I not only called them but FedEx but it really isn't FedEx. It is called Smart Post! DO NOT TRUST BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. They only care about their bottom line!!! Never ever again!!!!

Original review: March 5, 2018

On Burlington Coat Factory I have made a purchase and once order is done I came to know there is a one item missing. I try to change my order online and they don't have any option as change order and called customer service and they said once I purchase from online I cannot change my order or I cannot cancel it. Even very small companies have the felicity to cancel their order and how come Burlington is not able to do it? If they cannot help customers to change the order they should rethink if they are ready to sell the item online at all? Until they find a way to make some changes to their online system they can stop selling them to people online.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I bought a jacket from Burlington and I wear the jacket the next day. The jacket was in bad condition after four hours to wear it. I went to the store with all the tags and my receipt. The manager Cecilia say I can’t return the jacket because was already used it. Yes I did for once but I didn’t spent my money on one coat to wear it only once. She said no with bad mood, the jacket looks awful. No one going to wear it. I had to throw it away to the trash. There is my money just going to the trash with Burlington but thank you!! Never again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

On January 5, 2018 I ordered online, a leather jacket to be sent to my son. According to the website it should have shipped in a few days. When I didn't receive shipping confirmation I checked and way on the bottom of the order in tiny print it said the order had been canceled by the manufacturer. I called and after 30 minutes on hold, was told by a rep yes, it was out of stock. I'd put this on my PayPal credit account, and they put an authorization hold for $149.00 on there. It's been 10 days, just spoke to another useless rep and now they want me to send in PROOF and an account statement showing the hold before they'll lift it! What the HELL!!?? I've been shopping online for years and have never encountered anything like this! I will NEVER ORDER OR RECOMMEND BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY TO ANYONE EVER!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Hailey is very unprofessional for her to be a supervisor. If someone is calling and asking for corporate number a customer shouldn't be told they can't receive the number if it's a issue with the business. If I placed a order and Burlington took the money out my account you shouldn't tell me I have to deal with that with FedEx when they not the ones who got paid for merchandise I ordered and didn't receive.The way that your business is handled is very ridiculous and needs to be shut down immediately. The worst place to ever order anything from. I will NEVER shop here again and if I have to get a lawyer to get my money back I will definitely pursue it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I'm writing this because I can't get customer service by email or phone about my order. Dear Burlington, I'm emailing you all about my lost or misplaced order made during Black Friday. Unfortunately I was not able to be here time of delivery because my sister was murdered in Jamaica so that obviously held me up plus the fact there was no getting into GA with the snowstorm and a lot of black ice. I saw where it said packages may be held up so I figured my stuff wouldn't be here until Monday but finally getting home I found a soggy slit open empty cardboard. A plastic bag was split open blowing on my lawn and I'm freaking out because that was my family gifts and I thought I saved myself the holiday mall hell but now I have to. I worked really hard to buy gifts. I won't go back empty handed Thursday. Please will someone help me. This isn't right.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

It's busy season - I know that. I had $300 worth of items to purchase and the cashier asked me "how should I bag these?" I was taken aback: "Umm, I guess you should start at the smallest items?" As mean as this sounds, she was painstakingly slow. Scanning the last item I said I could just place it on top of the cart. "Actually, we don't allow people to take our carts outside so you might want a bag." Well, ok. I nearly fell in the parking lot because I had all my bags to take to my car, parked many rows away. I eventually found a supermarket carriage that saved the day. She could have offered for me to leave some bags by her register...

At another point in the evening I ask a man at the men's fitting room (who I wasn't 100% positive at that point if he worked there), "Do you know where the ladies fitting rooms are?" He responds, "Yes, would you like to know where they are?" I understand maybe I should have used a different phrase but I was NOT in the mood for the sass. I have a job too, buddy. I had a longer work day than you, and here I am spending hundreds of dollars on my family. Maybe he is just slow, I don't know, but I was not expecting this experience!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My husband didn't want to go shopping for a suit so I went to Burlington and purchased 2 jackets and 2 pants. He never took them out of the garment bag because he chose to rent a tux instead. Purchased 10/28; posted on my card 10/30; returned as bagged 11/2. It is now 12/6 and Burlington has not credited my account. The store says there must have been a computer glitch, corporate office says it's a store problem-but after reading these reviews I do believe it's a systemic issue with Burlington. Maybe time to get the attorney general to go after them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This company is the worst! Burlington should close their doors. Customer Service sucks as well. Ordered a coat... takes almost 2 weeks to receive. I was told... CAN'T GIVE OUT CORPORATE NUMBER... SAY WHAT? Misleading advertisements... stating items usually ships within 2 days. I'll NEVER purchase another item again. PLEASE CUSTOMER BEWARE OF THIS BUSINESS.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I ordered 14 items from Burlington the other day and they canceled my order stating that none of the items I bought were available and without returning my money. I went back to the website to see if the items were still on the site. Lo and behold every single item was and is still listed. I am beyond outraged of this. I have emailed them with no reply and the customer service reps ain't worth a dang dime. I just want my 150 dollars back so since no one wants to reply or tell me where my money is I am leaving reviews everywhere. DONT ORDER FROM BURLINGTON CAUSE THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR ORDER AND NOT RETURN YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I worked for Burlington Coat Factory last year for six months and then had to tell my manager Gabe that I couldnt work Christmas Eve because I had to go to Denver due to a family emergency. He decided to pretend that I never told him so and put me down as a no call no show so I quit. Then literally not even six months after quitting I tried to reapply again and I got misleading emails stating that I could work there again and I spent almost 5 months trying to work there again. I even called and talked to Gabe a couple weeks back and he told me that he would email the hiring manager and let them know I was interested. Then yesterday I got an email stating that they wanted me to do the assessment in order for me to be considered so I went to the library since I dont have a computer at home and did the assessment. Then not even 20 minutes after I got home I got another email stating that I'm not qualified for the position.

I was a cashier there for 6 months and was one of the best cashiers they had working for them guaranteed! And I have proof from employees that I still talk to that work there like Tristan **. I am beyond frustrated and I don't understand why your management can't do their job. I loved working for Burlington and still want to but not if I'm not going to be treated with the respect I deserve. Thank you for your time.

Resolution response: Sept. 13, 2017

I made a review last month on the issues I had with a defective unlisted KENNETH COLE wrist watch. I give a 5 star to Burlington Coat Factory now because I had a full refund. I also had issues with USPA set of two wrist watches I bought that one didn't work, only to my surprise to still get a full refund for the pieces. Burlington Coat Factory really made a lasting impression on me. Yes I complained and got a feedback after a while and also a refund which am happy about. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I placed an order, and unlisted KENNETH COLE wrist watch was among my buy. Only for me to get my order sent to my US address on June 7. I personally saw my order on July 30th only to find out the wrist watches wasn't working. I have been trying to reach to Burlington by mail and they asked me to return it to the store and they would send me a confirmation to prove the return to any of their shops!!

Up until now I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY CONFIRMATION EMAILS TO PROVE I CAN RETURN THE WATCH. I have tried to call, send messages, a lot of messages, I get an automated message and no one to help. It is so bad that I couldn't even use the wrist watch and worst of all they are not willing to respond. How can they ship a bad wrist watch to a customer for a price? That is the height of lawlessness and inhumanity.

Original review: June 29, 2017

On Saturday 6/24/2017 tried to return a hair clip I bought that broke. I was within my 30 days and had my receipt but was told that I needed a barcode in order to return the clip. Reading the return policy to Akina the store mgr. made no difference as she informed me that even though I had my receipt and I paid with my debit card, there was no way to prove 'I' had bought the item. Flabbergasted by her remark. But wait, there's more, she also showed me the fine print on my receipt that said " All returns are subject to verification and/or approval" below the line which reads in bold: "Simple, if you are unhappy for any reason bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and get your purchase price back."

Clearly Burlington does not honor their return policy agreement. It seems to me that returns are subject to the mood and opinion of the supervisor in charge on that day. Now here comes the icing on the cake, she (store mgr.) took the hair clip and snapped it in place looked at me and said "see, there's nothing wrong with it" smirking at me the entire time. Now I am stuck with a hair clip I don't want that could snap back off at any time. I will NEVER USE IT and I will NEVER spend my money there again. I called their complaint division on 6/26/2017. Was told that someone from the store would call me back and no one. This is no surprise to me now considering how I was treated in the store.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I think it's a darn shame that my mother was given a gift certificate from you all (Lynchburg, Va.) from my father and they told here she couldn't use because she didn't have receipt. It would have been nice if you'll could at least gave her store credit. Don't know if I want to shop there.

Original review: June 4, 2017

They don't even deserve the one star. So I bought some things from Burlington so when I tried the clothes on at home I didn't like it. So I went back to the same store next day and I didn't have any problems returning it. So, I wait one week for the money to show up in my bank account and it didn't show up. I called the customer service. They said it would take another one week for it to show and I waited another week and it still hadn't shown up in the account. This process repeated 2 times, I still don't have my money back.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I would like to start by saying that many years ago (15+), I didn't mind going into a Burlington Coat Factory in search of a good deal on a coat. It has been that long since I last visited Burlington Coat Factory Store 161, located at 4020-160 Capital Blvd Raleigh, NC 27604. WOW, what a difference 15 years makes. I cannot believe how run down the shopping center that Burlington Store 161 "anchors" has become. The area feels completely unsafe with individuals loitering in the parking lot, drinking alcohol out of paper bags, suspiciously eyeing you as you walk past. However, I digress as I really wanted to see what the store had to offer and can't necessarily hold them directly responsible for the caliber of the public hanging around the store. It, however, was a good indicator as to how the rest of the visit would unfold.

Upon entering the store, I was greeted by a strange, pungent odor that I can only describe as dirty, stale air mixed with a bit of mold and body odor. Not the kind of scent that puts you in the mood to shop for new clothes. There were very few shopping carts available IN the store. I did however see quite a few in the mile or so leading up to the store and a few more filled with garbage in the parking lot.

Once in the store, I noticed a good deal of the clothes were strewn about the racks as if people were trying them on in the aisles and then discarding them to the racks. Also, there was a disturbing lack of supervision of the customer's children. In fact there were 4 or 5 "children" (I would guess their ages to be between 8 - 14 years) playing an actual game of kickball in the store and a few other dribbling basketballs through the aisles. I also noticed a sales associate feebly attempting to get them to stop, all within earshot of the adults who were with these children.

Pressing on, I made my way to the men's department, hoping to find a decent trench coat (mind you I was not looking for Burberry, however, I was curious to see what was available as BCF USED to stock a variety of decent looking men's outerwear. What I found was a jumbled mess of odd labeled, odd sized, off brand garments that were so messy, I would never have tried them on. Oh, and I found no coat that suit my needs, my needs being something that I could wear over a suit to provide protection from the elements.

Now mind you, I used to understand what Burlington Coat Factory sold, I used to understand their business model and I accepted it. However, it seems as if Burlington Coat Factory has abandoned that model and appears to care less if they stay in business or not. I am not sure who they are catering to currently, but I can tell you that it does not appear to be placing its hopes on customers who have the income to purchase items that would lend to future success.

In fact, as I was leaving, it appeared that there were more customers loudly arguing with staff in what could be called a gutsy attempt to return previously worn items and the same staff arguing with these individuals on why they could not give refunds, let alone cash refunds on items that may or may not have even been purchased at the store. A final note... I will absolutely, never return to BCF for any reason in the foreseeable future, and if BCF continues their current business model, I won't have to worry about returning.

Original review: May 1, 2017

While trying to redeem a coupon for an item purchased. I was told by an employee that I wasn't able to return one single item to be able to use my coupon. I told the employee that many other stores honor my coupons when I purchase merchandise, as long as the coupon hasn't expired. She said "no", that BCF will not honor the coupon. I told her that this policy really sucks!! I will not make any further purchases at Burlington Coat Factory after this experience.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I ordered and PAID for 2 bedding sets from Burlington online store. I received only one. I contacted the customer service department, reported the problem and asked them to send the remaining set ASAP as I need them for house showings. They replied by saying "thank you for your recent return". (Which is a lie, as I never returned anything).

I called in person to ask what was going on and they stated, "that's how we do things". Even though it was their error, the service rep wanted me to do was go through the refund process and start the order over again. I don't have time for that and need 2 matching sets so my only alternative is to go to a Burlington store, return this one and find something else at another store. All they had to do was send me the second set. How's that for the red tape run around... purely so that they don't have to admit a shipping error. Nasty and unethical and so not customer oriented.

Original review: March 22, 2017

On December 10, 2016 I bought a few items from Burlington in Ocean, NJ. I returned a shirt on December 19, 2016 to the Burlington in Freehold, NJ. I bought the item with my American Express Card. The cashier at the Freehold store told me she didn't need to swipe my card in order to refund me. I had not received my refund by January 11, 2017, I went back to the Burlington in Freehold, the Manager took my information and told me she would get back to me. It is now January 30, 2017 and I have not heard from the Manager nor have I received my refund back to card. I have waited patiently long enough. I would like my refund of 9.99. Followup. I called the corporate office and was told I would have my refund by March 10 2017. I still have not received it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I was in Burlington Coat Factory Topeka, KS right before Christmas and I complained to a cashier about being discriminated against as security followed me around the store for no reason. I know security follows people of all races in the U.S. sometimes legitimately, but it's minorities such as ** that get it more. I had just left from purchasing something in their upstairs section, bag and receipt to prove it, went downstairs, started to leave without another purchase when I recognized him following, but I still purchased because I wanted some things for my sons. I had a tiny purse, since I'm a female, and made no moves that looked suspicious.

The stereotype and discrimination has to stop. I am over 40, **, and it's uncomfortable being followed damn near every time I go to a store. I'm close to online shopping only for everything. I'd rather you watch me on your cameras, but not in the dressing room as they just found a camera in their dressing rooms today, probably for this reason. It was on Topeka news today. At least it won't be obvious they're discriminating if they watch us on the cameras. I am gathering information for a topic on this to be ran on the local and national news networks soon.

Burlington Coat Factory Company Information