1.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

421 Burlington Coat Factory Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I went to the store at the El Con Mall in Tucson. I must say how disenchanted I was with this store. Nothing is organized. They have sections for different types of products such as beauty, clothes, shoes, etc., but everything is thrown in together. You go to the beauty section and you will have some of the lotions here, some on the next set of shelves and again on a different set of shelves. But there are also things for feet, makeup and every other beauty product in the same darned place. If you look at the clothes and shoes, it may say one size, but most of the things in that section are the wrong size. I went to check out and found an open cash register. The woman (cashier) completely ignored me and called the next person in line and the man (cashier) that was at one of the other registers said, "Ma'am, the line is back there."

I thanked him and went back to see where the line was (there was nothing that said that this is the checkout line) and found about 20 people standing there with carts full of stuff. I had two items that I wanted to purchase. At this time of year, there should be more than 4 registers open. I put my stuff on a table and walked out the door. The man was certainly surprised when I did so. Nothing about this store impressed me. Their prices were high for the quality of the products and the aisles were so tight that only one person could fit through at a time. This was the first and last time that I will EVER go back to any Burlington. I will go to Ross any time. Their stuff is organized, their staff is polite, and their prices are excellent.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased a coat on Tuesday. Took the tags off Wednesday morning, got in the car, saw it was completely unraveling by the time I got to work!! The coat unraveled along the seam within less than 1 day!! I paid an amazing price, but the cashier told me I couldn’t exchange the coat because it had been worn. A $90 coat with no quality guarantee. The entire seam just kept unraveling!! No wear and tear, was only worn on my way to work...in my car. Guess I have to learn how to sew when I purchase from this store!! The return/exchange policy basically means you have to just “know” you purchased a faulty product before you realize it’s poor quality... Where is the Satisfaction guarantee?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I made a purchase online on the 27 of November and until today I'm still waiting for the tracking number and they could not ever answer my question online or over the phone. I will never buy anything from that store and I do not recommend it either.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

This rep had the audacity of making it seem as if I ordered the wrong stuff. Ordered 20 pairs of shoes for Christmas gifts and I get sent 2 snow items jacket and pant size 4x inside the box with someone else invoice but the FedEx label outside has my name and address on it. How does an order of 20 pairs of shoes get mishandled to be jacket and pant for snow?

Call up cust. service and right away they concern was money back to which I told them it took me time and effort to search and find the right item for each person and you copping for an easy way out before even looking to see if you can resolve the matter at stake here by finding my package and redirecting that to me, not once the word "We are a sorry" was pronounce by the first rep. They want me to take the time and effort to get this sent back to them. While they are not saying if they will try getting my package, she said that even if they get it back if it happened to have been shipped by error to someone else they will not send to me for security purpose company policy to which I said, "Nonsense." How many times people try shoes or clothes at the retail locations and still get rung up without concern for buyers well being?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I ordered stuff online since the 30th of October. It is now 15th of November. USPS says they couldn't deliver (no fault on my part) and this is stated on the shipper website and Burlington can see this. I have chased Burlington for my refunds but to no avail. Burlington says it need receive the items before making a refund which means if this gets lost by the shipper, I get no refunds! Such a shame. No longer shopping with them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Burlington Coat Factory?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

DO NOT Order items from Burlington Coat factory online. I ordered two coats. FedEx stated they were shipped to my address. I had someone home looking for the packages as I really needed the coats. They did not arrive. Called FedEx. They told me to call the store so I called the customer service line for Burlington and they told me to dispute the charges with my Bank. Terrible customer service! Good customer service would have been a refund and they deal with FedEx!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’ve bought many products from them over the years. Still wearing their leather jacket from many years ago. Good price, good product, and it has lasted. Helpful reps in the past. Today, I called wondering if they had any men’s vests. I was disconnected twice. On the third call, after explaining the previous, I was handed over to a manager. Seemed like no one wanted to really help. Guess I was a pain! The manager promptly told me, "No we don’t have that." That’s fine. Pretty much brushed off. If I did that in my business, well...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I never saw in my experience like this, I order soccer cleats for my son and I received a baby shoe. As per the policy I walked in the store and returned the item. They not ready to pay back the shipment cost and said it's not their policy to pay the shipment fee. I questioned it's not my fault as you returned an inappropriate item. When I spoke to customer care they said if you bring back the shoe picture they may refund the shipment. I lost my 8+ $ for no reason. Never order online with Burlington.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been in touch with Burlington for approx. 2 weeks now. I have to Merchandise Claim Certificates that are unused. They are years old. Tried to use them, ring up as invalid. Went to the main office, first customer rep (Rheanna) was so bad I asked to have the call escalated to a supervisor. Dino was pleasant, but no callback. Second customer service (Barbara) researched while I was on the line, found that the $8.00 certificate could have a gift card issued, but $25.00 certificate was ignored. Last Contact on 8/29, no further word from this company. BAAADDD customer service. These certificates were issued by the claims administrator to settle a lawsuit- do I have to do a lawsuit to get this resolved? Absurd!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Went to the Crossgates Mall store to shop with my 2 children. My son was at the register trying to pay for his 2 items and the cashier was so busy gossiping about a previous customer, that she didn't see he had a second item. Thus, to say, he had to endure her rudeness even longer, as well as the long line of customers waiting to be checked out. She literally stood there holding his money while she continued to ignore him. I finally told her to quit gossiping and give him his money so we could get out of there. The store was so filthy... the bathroom's unusable to people who actually like clean, flushed toilets. When I brought the conditions up to the store manager, he shrugged his shoulders and said it was the customers who make the mess. I get that but isn't keeping the store clean his job. I will never shop there again.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My mom ordered a baby swing for my sister's little baby boy on June 30th and it was supposed to be delivered to my sister's house in Temecula on July 10th and she never got it. I emailed them and they didnt do anything. I got an email from them that the swing was returned and my mom will be getting a refund back from it. I will never order anything from them online ever again. They did not deliver the swing.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I ordered Piped Printed Ruffle Tankini equivalent of size 12 online, paid, got confirmation and was eagerly waiting for my swimsuit to start going to swim lessons with my son. Too bad that I received IndigoGirl SMultiplusize 8 instead. (Why do we even get to pick a size and model when ordering when they can just surprise us?!)

Original review: June 26, 2018

Ordered a crib from their online and had agreed to pay 20.00 shipping! Well that's where it gets lost I guess! The day of the delivery we get an email that our package was delivered! We get a notice via email and go to the door and no package! We call immediately and get put on hold and the agent comes back 10 min later and said that we would have to wait 7-10 day while they check with FedEx for the package! Well they Tell us that they are not going to return the money because FedEx said they delivered the package and for us to call the credit card company we used! What a great way to do business and great customer service! We never received the crib and we are out 100.00 dollars! DO NOT ORDER ONLINE WITH THEM, I'm sure we are not the only one this has happen to!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I ordered a baby bed for my daughter and I called to follow up on the order. First the agent, Denise was rude. She placed me on hold for at least 10 min. Since I work in the customer service field myself I am aware of the policies and procedures. I know that when placing a call on hold you are supposed to check on and update the customer every two minutes. Secondly, she called me by my first name without asking if that was ok. Needless to say here it is a week later and I still have not received a confirmation email about the item being shipped and when I called all she could tell me was that it is in process. This is by far the worst customer service that I have ever received in my life. When I asked to speak to a supervisor she told me that I had to leave a message and wait to be contacted back in 24-48 hrs. I will not ever place another online order with Burlington Coat Factory.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a diaper bag for 50.00 at Burlington 2 months ago. The zipper broke and I attempted to exchange it for the same bag, but they refused. The clerk stated that I needed the tag or the receipt. Who would keep a tag on a bag that they are using? I never expected the zipper to break so soon. I do not want any money. I just simply want another bag. Customer service guy was rude, short, and he kept saying excuse me. When I asked why he said, "I'm trying not to be rude. The policy says gift cards for items without a receipt, but then it says store manager may refuse." That was added so they can cover themselves when they refuse a refund. I spend money in Burlington's, but I need to reconsider due to this incident.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My stolen card was used in the West Nyack Store. I contacted them to assist me so I can identify who used it (since it disappeared after a friend's party so I know someone I know took it). I spoke with someone who told me to come into the store and what proof to bring, I told them I'll be there at 5 pm. I get there to be told that he left at 4pm. I speak with the store manager who tells me who to call the following day. I call and ask for that associate and they tell me he isn't there. Then in the middle of talking, the associate I was on the phone with hung up on me.

Corporate customer service told me it was an outside security company, the store manager told me it was Burlington's security company. Just disorganized and incredibly rude - and this isn't even an experience complaint it's a SECURITY complaint. My STOLEN card was used and they just don't care to even give me the time of day or finish my sentences. Will absolutely never shop there, or let anyone I know shop there, if this is how they respond to security concerns.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Stopped at store No. 01008 Military Rd. Niagara Falls. Went in to buy my granddaughter a pair of shoes. Got to the cash register a only one was open. After the sixth person got in line another opened. Paid for the shoes and the cashier said she need my phone number. I said no and she said she could've complete the transaction without it. I refused my phone number and asked why she needed it. I was told so they could text me a copy of my receipt. She had my receipt in her hand. I said that one will be fine. She still said she needed my phone number, again I refused.

She finally gave me the receipt she had grasped in her hand. With my granddaughter in the cart I headed for the door. Almost turned the cart over when I tried to walk out the door. The wheels had locked up. An employee came over and said, "You can't take the carts out the door." All I had was a pair of shoes, my Granddaughter and my receipt. What would someone with a cart full of purchases do to get the stuff to their car. I will never shop there again and I will tell everyone I know of my short experience at Burlington and hope the NEVER shop there.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Their return policy doesn't mention any limitations but when I attempted to return a couple of items, I was told that it couldn't be done within the next 6 months. Since it's past their normal return time frame I'll only receive a store credit based on their current (not original) item price which is usually less. If there is limit on a number of returns - it should be posted or otherwise clarified to customers bUT apparently Burlington is not interested in fair and customer-friendly business. I will not shop there again and will advise my friends to avoid this joint.

Original review: May 10, 2018

STORE #363 YONKERS NY. I must say I thought I was taking it personal when they kept losing my layaway. I thought they just didn't like me but when the layaway was done under a different name and they lost the layaway with no care in the world but to tell you, "We will refund your money," like that was going to make you feel better on how they handle the items you took almost 2 hrs in the store to look for that you really wanted to have. The layaway was done two weeks ago and all the manager [Vivian] cared about was refunding the money but not even to bother to really look for my layaway. I'm very upset because this is the damn fifth time doing it to me and something has to be done about it because it's like the employees are wasting people time thinking you have your items to pick up to get nothing but a refund in return.

I'm very dissatisfied with the layaway system they have in this store and I only come to this store because they have very nice clothes for my size and household goods but it looks like my relationship with store will have to stop. IF I don't have money on me to shop can't go in the store because the layaway sucks for real. And I only do a layaway for 2 weeks so imagine I would of waited 60 days to receive nothing but a refund because they lost my layaway. This just don't make any sense and I think the employees are stealing the layaways and the managers don't have a care in the world to tell you, "I will give you a refund and 15% off your next purchase." Really. I want the stuff I picked out and that was put on layaway because you can't give me 15% off of that because you don't have the item no more in store. SMDH.

Then you make a corporate complaint and they tell you someone will call you and guess what, after 3 hrs of waiting I had to call the store to see if they found the layaway and the manager I spoke to says to me, "Let me see," and ask his service manager and he states to me that they refunded my money because they couldn't find the layaway and I told him that he doesn't know what he is talking about. He has a open whole in his mouth for no reason because I'm still waiting for someone to call me back. SMDH. The manager told me that he will look for it and will call me back but you can guess what they doing which is nothing. They are lazy and are not looking for nothing and waiting for me to show up to the store to get my refund. "He will call you back today," [Service Manager] which he never did.

Once again I called and this time I spoke to Vivian the manager from last night who never relayed the message to any of the managers to let them know that a layaway from missing to see if someone can find it. She ask for my name and number and also the name and phone number the layaway was done under which she should of had from the night before. So now this really shows me that nobody cares about looking for anything. Their end result to solve the solution is to refund the money at the end of the day. Very disappointed but once again now I have to wait until Vivian calls me back.

I really think corporate should step in and handle the situation. Enough is enough. If refund is the only solution in regards to their layaway flaws and human errors then why waste people time standing on a long ass line hoping you are able to hold the items for someone to come back to picked them up. You are suppose to be here for the customers and make us happy but guess what I'm not. I really had enough. So if this store is not meeting their numbers for sales this is an area where most of your problems are. LAYAWAY LAYAWAY LAYAWAY.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We are so grateful to employee named Paul at Burlington in Staten Island. We have forgotten a back pack with important documents inside. If it was not him we would have lost it. He found the back pack. We were absent for 3 hours and the back pack was still there. We are grateful to Burlington, Paul and all people who didn't take our bag. Thanks God.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I've been shopping at Burlington Coat Factory for over 30 years. I recently made a large purchase (paintings, mirror, clothing) and when I went to return some of the clothes which didn't fit right, I was denied the return "based largely on The Retail Equation (TRE)." It stated to call some phone # for more info, which I did. I received an email which showed purchases and returns I made at Burlington since 2015. It NEVER said I couldn't return anything on my original receipt. When returning items, I've always had my receipt and the original tags on the items. NEVER had any issues like this in any other store.

Since I am disabled, I can't get out as much. When I do shop, it's a large purchase so I won't have to keep coming to the store constantly. From now on I WILL NOT shop at Burlington again!! I WILL BE telling EVERYONE I meet NOT TO SHOP AT BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY and how they track their customers! I'll also be sure to blog and post any in all review forums regarding this. Loyal customers should not be treated this way!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Our son bought his Dad a $50 gift card for Christmas in 2016, and paid cash at Alberton's Grocery Store in Portland, OR. His Dad and I, his Mom, went shopping in 2017 and did not find something his Dad wanted, so later, I, his Mom, would go shopping... and again... nothing! We finally gave the card back to our son who purchased it for his Dad, and he went to purchase articles there... And the card had NO BALANCE! We called your customer service reps several times, was treated nicely, but during the last call, the representative said that someone before Christmas, in 2016, went to grocery stores and scanned the numbers of gift cards, and then used those numbers to BUY things... Fraudulently! We are disappointed that you would not stand behind the purchase of the gift card and redeem the $50 for us.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I rate Burlington 1 star. They get my orders messed up. I ordered clothes for my children (6 occasion dresses), and one woman wristwatch. They didn't send the wristwatch, telling me it's been sold out and they have not refunded my account, and they say my account has been reverted. I am sick and tired of the treatment Burlington gives me. Give me my refund Burlington...

Original review: April 7, 2018

I order weekly from BCF online and have had nothing but fantastic experiences each time... One time, an item was missing and they promptly refunded the price. I can't say enough good things about Burlington online... I've got some great deals here! The shipping is fast, packaging is good and I'll continue to shop online for the convenience of it. If something didn't fit, I'd send it back... No issues... Customer service has been perfect too... Thanks!

Original review: March 27, 2018

A few days ago, I purchased two jackets for my son. This was my first online order by the way. When I opened my package, I noticed one of the jackets were the wrong size. I called customer service and of course they offered no kind of discount for the inconvenience. They had tagged the jacket the wrong size. Tag said 18/20 but coat said 14/16. Now I will have to hope and pray that they have the right size jacket when I go and return. Very disappointed and I will never order online again...

Original review: March 17, 2018

The Burlington on Branch Ave is the worst and the manager Kiana only works there to steal layaway items that she likes. Every time I put an item in layaway it ends up missing... Smh... They need to throw the whole store away.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I would not give any stars! I purchased clothes for my great grandbaby but I never received my order! I called Burlington the minute it said delivered but it wasn't delivered to the address it was suppose to go to or I would have had it in my hands and didn't! I had to go to Walmart to purchase replacement clothes! I disputed this charge over and over again with proof that we never received our order but they insist on me paying for product never received! I not only called them but FedEx but it really isn't FedEx. It is called Smart Post! DO NOT TRUST BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. They only care about their bottom line!!! Never ever again!!!!

Original review: March 5, 2018

On Burlington Coat Factory I have made a purchase and once order is done I came to know there is a one item missing. I try to change my order online and they don't have any option as change order and called customer service and they said once I purchase from online I cannot change my order or I cannot cancel it. Even very small companies have the felicity to cancel their order and how come Burlington is not able to do it? If they cannot help customers to change the order they should rethink if they are ready to sell the item online at all? Until they find a way to make some changes to their online system they can stop selling them to people online.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I bought a jacket from Burlington and I wear the jacket the next day. The jacket was in bad condition after four hours to wear it. I went to the store with all the tags and my receipt. The manager Cecilia say I can’t return the jacket because was already used it. Yes I did for once but I didn’t spent my money on one coat to wear it only once. She said no with bad mood, the jacket looks awful. No one going to wear it. I had to throw it away to the trash. There is my money just going to the trash with Burlington but thank you!! Never again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

On January 5, 2018 I ordered online, a leather jacket to be sent to my son. According to the website it should have shipped in a few days. When I didn't receive shipping confirmation I checked and way on the bottom of the order in tiny print it said the order had been canceled by the manufacturer. I called and after 30 minutes on hold, was told by a rep yes, it was out of stock. I'd put this on my PayPal credit account, and they put an authorization hold for $149.00 on there. It's been 10 days, just spoke to another useless rep and now they want me to send in PROOF and an account statement showing the hold before they'll lift it! What the HELL!!?? I've been shopping online for years and have never encountered anything like this! I will NEVER ORDER OR RECOMMEND BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY TO ANYONE EVER!

Burlington Coat Factory Company Information