1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

BJ's Wholesale Club

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

224 BJ's Wholesale Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

BJ's Eyeglass Center, Monroe, NY - I bought eyeglasses from them on 6/24/17 for $494.44 and by October the lenses were completely scratched. I took them back on October 30th and was charged an additional $75. 2 weeks later the frames broke. In November I went to take them back and the eyeglass section was closed even though the Store was open. I live 45mins away and not in Monroe very often. Next time I was in the area was the beginning of December and the guy told me that there would be another charge and also said to me that the lenses were scratched!

Why should I have to pay more when I have already paid $569 and your product is flawed. Got nowhere with this guy. What it comes down to is if I want them fixed, I have to pay. I don't think I am being unreasonable asking them to fix my glasses free of charge since it's not my fault. They were not dropped, stepped on or abused in any matter. I had them on and they just came apart. Looking for some help to remedy this matter.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have bought celery that was rotten, still see same rotten bunches on the shelves weeks later. Just bought box of clementines... most rotten two days later. The store in Derby, CT needs to be attended to. I will stop shopping there if this continues. Plus my review on other sites will not be good. Do I continue to bring back rotten produce... that is more hassle than it’s worth, since I do not live nearby.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Ordered heroes for my company holiday party. Three 3ft heroes. One Italian, one American, one mixed. The receipt was very clear as to what was ordered. This was ordered at the Bellport store. Get there around 530pm to pick up the heroes for the party that was starting at 7pm. Only one 3ft hero was made. I then asked the very rude lady behind the counter "what am I suppose to do now?" Her response was "well I guess you are only leaving with one hero". Well she guessed wrong because I left with nothing. Left the hero on the counter walked out and never will return again. I then called customer service and the lady on the phone was more interested in what my member id number was than what I was calling to complain about. Thank God I was able to get food from somewhere else in such short notice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I spoke to the operation manager Don ** about his tire technicians damaged my lug and cost me $180.60 cents to repair and I came back to get the tired changed over to a snow tire. Big mistake, the tire technician damaged another lug by cross threading the lug nut. I told Manager Don ** I want tone reimbursed for $180.60 cents for the damage of the first lug and pay for the replacement of the second damaged lug. Don ** replied, "you overpaid for that repair because it a $30.00 dollar repair." I asked Manager Don ** where I could get a lug repair for $30.00 dollars? His reply, “Well when I do it myself at home it only cost me $30.00 dollars.” Don ** raised his voice to level of shouting when I told him to stop yelling.

He wanted me to sign a work order stating I had a damaged lug and bolt previously to coming into the tire shop. I refused to sign anything. Don ** continued to rant on about the possibilities of my driving habits damaging the lugs or me rotating my tires and wearing the lugs down. This guy, Don ** was unprofessional and irrational. I called BJ's Corporate Office to report Don **.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Bought a Shark rotator professional vacuum cleaner for 129 dollars on Black Friday (11/23/17). I was supposed to receive it on 11/28/17. As of today (12/11/17), I still haven't received it and BJ's has made no attempt to get this resolved with their shipping service UPS. They took my money from the account which I saved just for this vacuum from months ago. Both UPS & BJ's have been giving me the run around from the get go. Save your money people and DO NOT SHOP ONLINE AT BJ's. They DO NOT care about your money or your time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I visited the locate BJ's in Fishkill NY on September 30th with my kids. My daughter was visiting for her birthday and she needed some things so we figured we would check it out. When we got to the store I went to customer service and asked if I could shop. I knew it was a membership thing but since I do not drive and wouldn't be coming back I didn't want to join. I explained all of this to the girl at customer service. She explained I could shop and the cost would be $5.00. Ok. I agreed. I used my debit card and off we went shopping. After spending $133.00 I never gave it another thought till today when my card was charged $54.06 for a membership. A membership? I never agreed to. I don't drive and I don't live near it. Why would I join? I called the store to question the charges after I explained it to the girl that answered the phone. She said, "Hold on." Didn't ask for any of my personal information. Just hold on. There I sat for 25 mins before hanging up.

I called back immediately of course now a little annoyed. I re-explain my story and sadly get the same result. Back on hold for 30 mins before hanging up. This time I call back and just simply ask for the manager. I get a man named Ahmed who says he is the manager. I explain my story. He tells me I have to come in the store and he will investigate. "No no no I work very long hours and hello I don't drive. I do not live near the store - you took my money without me being there so return my money without me being there." He finally asks for my information and says he will call me back.

I ask, "And tell me when I am getting my refund?" He explains, "Well no. I will tell you what happened." I said, "I don't care what happened. I never signed up. Look at the records. I was there 1 time in your store and I want a refund - end of story." He said, "Ok. I will call you back and let you know when you will get your refund." I asked him when and he said today... We will see - I will add to this as more happens.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Two words when deciding to order from BJ's: STAY AWAY. Terrible experience from the beginning. Ordered appliances online and got nothing but the runaround. Orders canceled and re-ordered and then canceled again, all because of BJ's own personnel. Every time you call and speak to someone you get a different answer and no one is helpful.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I ordered some diapers for my son on Nov 21st. It is Dec 4th and I still have not received them. When I called customer service they told me there was nothing they could do for me. The delivery date changed 5 times. Every time they said I would get the diapers the date changed. I thought the diapers would be delivered before delivery date changed and My wife recently had surgery and could not go to store to buy diapers while I was at work so my son went half the day without diapers and he is 6 months. I don't know if I will ever receive these diapers and their customer service manager refused to return my money so I can go buy diapers for my son somewhere else. I had to get some diapers from my brother to get by. That will be last time I purchase anything from them!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Yesterday, I went back to BJ's to return one item from shopping I had the day before. At customer service desk cashier ** her voice very loud when I gave her member card. She did return on gift card without telling me anything then I said I want my money back not gift card, she said, "You don’t have receipt. YOU ALWAYS RETURN, I KNOW YOU!!!" In front of customers. I felt so bad because the way she spoke to me & I don’t always return as she said unless package unsealed or rotten.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We have belonged to a BJ's Wholesale Club for a good 15 plus years (not at same location) and we are not going to renew this December when our membership expires. It is too frustrating to shop at a store that you pay to shop in but still have to cut coupons. Even more frustrating is the coupon books come in the mail and have different expiration dates. We have to go through 2 books of coupons since they overlap and then there are coupons in other books that you get in mail or at the store. I have received emails about downloading app so coupons can be saved there but I can not sign in. It does not take the membership number, my email and name. We find this very frustrating and we spend hours going through all these coupons. If items are on special why don't they just ring up on special - why these frustrating coupons?

Not only do we frustrate ourselves for hours 1 -2 times a month but when getting receipt you can not tell which coupon items have been scanned. The check-out clerks can not force coupons to go through and try to hand back ones that didn't work so then there is a trip to the customer service desk where you have to wait again. BJ's can just lower their prices on certain items or have a sale with NO COUPONS. This has driven us away from continuing our membership.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was in the BJ's warehouse in Farmingdale, New York this morning and lost a glove in the store. Before I left the store I went to the member services desk and asked if anyone turned in a glove and they told me No. They said to call back in a little while. Maybe somebody would turn it in. That was over 7 hours ago. Since then I have called the warehouse numerous times and could not get anyone to pick up the phone. I called the corporate office and I had the same experience. I called their member care number and finally got a human being who said they would contact the store and have them get back to me. No responses. I put a comment on BJ's Facebook account and was advised to contact the store directly. Obviously she was not listening to nothing to me in my complaint that no one answers the phones. Very very bad customer service!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Yesterday I was checking out, there was an issue with an item the customer in front of me was purchasing. The cashier left her Station and was gone a fully 10 minutes. Even the customer in front of me was looking everywhere for. In the meantime they opened up the line next to me as we were backing up. Since I was next I thought he would take me first, but he started taking all the people behind me.

Finally the cashier returned, she never said one word, no apology, no greeting, nothing. I went to sign my purchase and I couldn’t find the stylist anywhere, the cashier was busy talking to the cashier next to her, finally she turns to me and says “use your finger “. Then when I left the store, the women punched my receipt and just handed it back to me without a word. This is not the first time I have had bad service at this store, I even canceled my membership at one point. I am seriously considering it again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have been a customer at BJ's for many years, and I am considering canceling this membership because every time I go to the deli, there's a huge wait time even if there are only a couple of people in front of me. I go to Club 367 and the last time I went on October 6th, 2017 at around 8:30 pm, there were about 6 people in line and there was only one person helping customers and the other lady was cleaning. I asked why there was only one person helping customers and they said that they needed to clean otherwise they would not finish in time. They told me to come here and complain and so that is what I am doing. I am seriously considering not renewing my membership just because of the wait time at the deli.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We shop here EVERY month for groceries with 6 children. We do not get any assistance and live on my VA disability so we have to budget. As a veteran I get a discount on the membership so we get the 2% back membership and almost every month, because of what we spend for groceries and other sundries and household items, we get a rewards increment (paid oUT in $20 increments). This past April (2017) we spent upwards of $500 and our rewards thing on the receipt tells us you need to spend (this amount) to next reward and the previous receipt said we needed just over $400. When I went back later in the month for milk and stuff, I fully expected to see that rewards there for me to use. Our membership never recorded that entire purchase! I had the previous receipt to compare it to.

We went into the store with this info and was told that sometimes it can take a while to show. Still nothing by the next month and gave up on it and the ONLY way to explain this huge discrepancy was the employee used her own membership card instead of mine. By the time we came to this realization we didn't have those receipts to compare the membership numbers (at the time I never paid attention that it's actually printed on the receipt).

Since then I have watched as I hand my card to them and ensure they scan it. Well just a few days ago I firmly believe it would've happened again had I not been paying attention. We already had the belt full and I handed over my membership card. She took it, stood there holding it behind both her hands instead of scanning it and handing it back. I counted in my head. She stood like that for 51 seconds before she scanned the card and handed it back. And we were waiting for her to start scanning items so we could put the rest on the belt.

In this particular case instead of scanning and packing she did something unusual where she took the hand scanner and worked her way down the belt. Since we budget I add our cost as we go to try and ensure we know how much to expect to pay at checkout and to ensure we don't get overcharged. That simply struck me as odd. Now, I haven't seen any other complaints of this but I am willing to bet it happens pretty often since most people hand off their card and go about loading the belt, not watching the cashier. My recommendation is to physically watch them scan your membership!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

One month prior to subscription renewal I called to cancel. After customer service rep said all is well done I said goodbye. Well yesterday I was charged renewal fee anyway. I called explained. Had rude person on other end but charged was going to be reversed. Now I find out that not only did they overdraft my account but it will take 7 to 10 days for them to return funds, because they have no record of original call. Bad business practice, will never go back.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

BJ's promotes its credit card in all of its stores. They promise cashback rewards in addition to $.10 off the price of gas at its pumps. The gas is, in fact, discounted; however, you receive no cash back for gas purchases. Moreover, when you finally spend enough to get to the $20.00 cash back, the reward cannot be used to pay down your balance on the card, as you can on other cards and you must spend $20.00 all at once in-store to receive the bonus. In other words, after working hard to get the $20.00 cash back reward, you have to give it right back to BJ's. And the reward expires in six months and cannot be reissued! Going forward, I will use the card only to purchase gas! Period!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Went to one of your Miami BJ's clubs and was in the express checkout lane for nearly 10 minutes. The lady in front of me was at the teller machine clipping her coupons while at the express checkout teller which cause a backup and forced me to go to a regular teller. BJ's should have a policy that restricts coupon clipping while checking out especially in one of the express lanes. I believe you should looking into this policy of doing coupons while you are checking out. Remember you are not the only game in town, we can easily not renew our membership and go with the competition!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have been a member for many years. I like shopping here for many reasons. There is always plenty of parking, besides bulk quantities they also have smaller items, like the deli, and they send me coupons regularly for items I actually buy! It can get busy on the weekends and they usually dont have many registers open. However, self checkout is always open and it's pretty easy! I do my shopping early or during the week when it's slower and I'm in and out. I bought a pair of glasses once and didnt have any issues. And the liquor store is one door over if I need to pick up something. One stop shopping. Overall experience I love shopping here!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Noticed particularly long lines at BJ's last several months but lately has gotten way out of control. Yesterday, 8/31/17, after completing a one hour long, full cart shopping ordeal, I get to check out only to find the entire front end clogged with other miserable shoppers waiting way too long to be checked out. And why did I waste an entire hour filling my cart in the first place? Every other food item I looked at was at or very close to expiration!!! And it wasn't a few pieces of each item... the entire shelf was just chock full, freshly stocked, with old stock! The "Organic" salad blends labeled 9/04/17. Sabra Hummus, 9/07/17. Packaged ham, bacon, cheese, juice, milk, virtually every item I had to dig thru to attempt to find a decent expiration date. The Thomas english muffins (18 pack) had 5 days left. And this was a full sized bread cart fully stocked.

After 15 minutes in line they finally opened another check out and I got there first. I told the girl, "This place is really going down hill." And that all the food had very short or expired expiration dates, she just looked and smiled. If this is the way "members" are treated by BJ's, I can't imagine how bad it would be if they operated a regular grocery store where they don't gouge you for yearly membership! Very, very bad service and total disregard for their customer base.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We pay for a membership and this is the second time in three months there were two self checkout and one regular lane open. The prices are going up and the customer service is poor. I will definitely be rethinking renewing my 50.00 membership.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I went to BJ's Wholesale Club in Deptford N.J this morning.This club is our regular club. I went to purchase gasoline and to my surprise there were 16 cars deep in every lane. While waiting all the customers heard the two workers yes only two workers talking about apparently another worker Tim calling out and that he was a bum and that management does not give a ** about the gas workers. ALL this was heard by every customer waiting. That's how loud it was. This is a privacy factor and should never be spoken about in front of customers.

I called the store and spoke to Corey the operations manager. I explained the lines outside and the talking about other employees and The management by these two workers. Corey's response was management can't control employees talking and that they did not have enough workers for the gas. I asked him. If they cross trained workers inside to help out at the gas and he said no. I then asked Corey for the district managers name and number and he said the district managers does not talk to customers.

For a company like BJ's which is third behind Sam's and Costco and has a new CEO I don't think not listening to the customers' voices might speak the end of BJ's. I, am thinking of not renewing our membership and going to Sam's Club in the future. When your upper management does not want to hear from its members it does not say a great thing about this company.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I purchased a pair glasses and pick them up by their records in June. Today is July 31. I don't wear these glasses. Deli in the frames are ready came apart from the glasses appear to be Sarder. They want to charge me $15 to replace frames that I don't wear them that often and already broke in less than 20 days of wearing time. It is a defect but it happened after deer 30 days. I guess I should've bought him the whole 30 days to see how their product stands out. Very dissatisfied customer. I'll never buy frames again from BJ's and I guess it's my fault because I should've looked at the ratings and they weren't high for the optical department. Lesson learned.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I am furious over the non working online coupon system. I went through the process of logging in, viewing 182 coupons, selecting a lousy 10 coupons to print, entered my phone number, received the verification code, entered it and NOTHING. So I called customer service which has a phone system hell for 10 minutes before getting a live person... No. I was connected to billing who was of no help. I was then told that she would give me another number to call??? When I refused that she said she could conference me into the correct department - did she??? NO. I did tell both reps that this has irritated me so much that I will not buy a subscription for next year since Sam's Club is just as close to my home. DO NOT TRY TO REDEEM COUPONS ONLINE OR PRINT THEM - NO BJ'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. In total I wasted 45 minutes of my life.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Your mailer does not include sale prices. With nothing to compare to, ads that say "$N off" don't give me the information I need. I'm sure you hope I'll drive to your store to find out this information and spend on unplanned purchases. I won't. Instead, I toss your mailer in the recycle bin without looking through it. I'm sure many other seniors do this too. Seems like a misdirected advertising policy to me. Perhaps you could change it? I think your earnings would improve if you did.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I am disappointed by the tire service in the East Rutherford BJ's I received on July 14, 2017. I needed one tire repair which took more than three hours to complete. Three hours I sat in the tire store watching dozens of customers come in and there was only one person able to sell tires/answer the phone/answer customer questions and on top of that go back and forth to fix my tire. I am completely frustrated by this extraordinary poor service. I bought all four of my tires from BJ's with the belief that I would be able to receive great service but it was the complete opposite.

Original review: July 9, 2017

It looks like the supervisors in the Quincy store treat her ** staff like wild dogs. I caught her screaming at an employee. He should report her to the state office for workers, because she is still there ill treating the staff, and high office management people doing nothing. The staff need to get together, the ** staff and get a union to enforce your rights. No way a supervisor should be treating the staff like that. It looks like she only treat the ** staff like dirt. The staff should document and take a case against this ** woman, no way I would let her talk to me like that.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I got into a line where the woman was already checking out, didn't know she had a coupon for every item she bought. Needed assistance 3 times and all 3 times the big guy that was suppose to be assisting was just spacing out. The 3rd time I got out of line and went to a young lady who was also there and asked if she could just help this woman. After close to 8 minutes she finally finished. I tried starting the check out process while her things were still on the belt. (I have seen employees start putting thing in the cart before, this lady definitely needed help but the big guy liked staring into space better.) After the 2nd time trying to start the check out process I got a 'put item aside, someone will assist', took a deep breath and tried a 3rd time and the item went through.

Scanned the rest of my items and big guy comes over asking if I need help. I say no, not realizing that since the light is flashing, I cannot finish paying for my order. Big guy, you should have realized this since this is your job. Once realizing this I walk back up to the young lady and said, rather exasperated I will admit, and said "can you just take care of that so I can pay". She looks at me and says “what did you say? that is what I am trying to do and I am not even on the clock!” Ok, you got the BJ's shirt on, hanging out, I am suppose to know you aren't working? Sorry I was taking my frustration out on you but big guy was clueless. When I finally left, big guy was chatting up the Dunkin' Donuts employee. Another dedicated BJ's employee. We belong to Sam's Club too and for the 3 items that we buy the BJ's has and Sam's doesn't, I will go to the grocery store for. Not going back there again.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Visited 6/14/2017. The supervisor Madelyn, is so rude. I am filing a complaint with corporate. I purchased my goods and used coupons. One item I doubled couponed (because I had two of the items), she voided out my entire $300 purchase. I asked her to void the doubled coupon and she stated she needs to void everything and I need to rescan all my items. For a $1 coupon... I asked her to return my coupons (15) and she said there was no way for her to do that. Oh really! Not to mention my toddlers are impatient and running around. I just wanted my goods so I could get my children safely to the car before the storm began (thunder outside at this point, no rain yet).

I pay for these services and feel completely mistreated. I left without my goods, and now I called customer service and I spoke with the manager. No one has resolved it or returned my call. They stated it would be resolved within 24-48 hours. Now I understand why the manager has not responded. I read a post on a different site from a consumer who visited 6/9/2017 stating: "there earlier and overheard the manager butch lady laughing with a supervisor named Maddylin (I had to take a quick glimpse at her name tag when I walked by) about an employee that got fired. How professional is that??"

Original review: June 15, 2017

BJ's Warehouse in Akron has the snottiest and most unfriendly management team I have ever seen in retail. I was a member for 4 years and actually cancelled last month because of the rotten attitudes in that store. There are people walking around with management badges on that have looks on their faces like they would rather be anywhere but there and then there's a man who has a store manager badge (Ron something) who is quite possibly the grumpiest old man I have ever witnessed. Glares at my kids because they dropped a potato chip then looks at me, points to it and says "Pick that up." This guy is a perfect example of why my family switched to Sam's Club. VERY unfriendly place... you almost want to apologize to the employees for bothering them.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Ordered a copper gazebo that cost $ 2600.00. It was part of a landscaping project. I was out of town when the landscape company unpackaged and installed the gazebo including anchoring it the slab. Came home to find a B L A C K GAZEBO. Not what I ordered, not what I paid for! Customer services response to my problem was, we will forward it to the supplier to see if they will do anything. I dealt with BJ's, not their supplier. It would appear I am out the 2500 cost and the 500 to have it put up all thanks to BJ's. Please don't deal with this company. Did not send what I ordered or paid for! Fraud!

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information

www.bjs.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use