1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 6, 2018

234 BJ's Wholesale Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 6, 2018

My family purchased a Vizio 39" tv on 4/3/18. It was for $199.99. I come to find out Walmart had the same exact tv identical model for an everyday price of $179.99. My family called BJ's and asked them if they priced matched. They were very rude and arrogant. They said, “No.” I called the store and asked them who do they think they are speaking to with that type of behavior. I demanded a supervisor and I explained everything. She kept on trying to tell me that was a sale price at Walmart. I told her it was an everyday price and confirmed it with Walmart and still on the phone she had an attitude. Then she said, “I will check with my general manager. He'll call you tomorrow 4/4/18 at 2:00pm.” He never called.

I called the store. The general manager did not want to get on the phone. The assistant manager said to me, “We will not price match.” Mind you BJ's is a wholesale club. In my opinion they are deceiving customers. I will never buy an appliance again there. The is my first year of membership. Now they refuse to give me my membership money back. I will never buy there again. It’s a rip off, scamming people. Good luck! I bought back the tv and got my money back! Beware people. Compare prices. They'll rip you off with no shame. Real professional. I'm not going to support them again.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Purchased an LG dryer online on January 31st. The dryer was delivered and installed on February 22, when I attempted to use it the next day it kept tripping the breaker. Had the breaker looked at, no problem. The problem was the cord was broken while being installed. Called and they sent someone out from the installation company on 3/17 and he confirmed that not only was cord improperly installed but there was a plate that was broken. He took pictures and sent them back to company. Have called BJ's numerous times and they say that the new dryer has to come from LG and they haven't heard from them. So here it is the beginning of April and I still have no dryer but I had to pay my credit card bill so they have their money. I will NEVER again purchase anything major at BJ's.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 22, 2018

On 2/19 I purchased an item online described with a specific product model #. Item was part of a kit consisting of a leaf blower, weed trimmer, and 2 batteries. Item shipped late and finally arrived 03/02. Well something arrived. They shipped wrong item... Different part # consisting of trimmer and DIFFERENT, inferior leaf blower and only one (smaller) battery. I immediately contact phone CS and they said they made a mistake and listed and sold me the wrong item - and that the item that arrived WAS the correct item. I was offered $25 credit to keep it. HA! Blower is inferior and missing battery had a replacement value of $60. NO THANKS! I was emailed a UPS return label with RMA. I printed it out and it went in mail next day.

Item was large and return shipping was VERY slow, but on 3/12 item was signed for and received. BJ's stated within 2 business days after return was received I should have my refund. On 3/14 I received email asking why I hadn't shipped the return back yet. On 3/15 I contacted phone customer service and told them my story and asked why I still had no refund. I was assured by end of 3/19 I would be refunded. It's 3/22 and today I received another email requesting my return to be shipped - and I still have no refund. This is beginning to sound like a charge-back will be necessary. I am very thankful UPS tracking is much more reliable than BJ's. I am just wondering how are they still in business?

Original review: March 18, 2018

I'm completely dissatisfied with a former club I belonged to. BJ's Wholesale Club is a joke that falsely advertises to their customers. I went in to buy a mattress and box spring set advertised with a manufacturer coupon for 100 dollars off... Still a $299 purchase. I started in Riverhead where they searched the store and found no box spring to sell with the mattress. Then I tried Bellport who also had no box spring for the mattress. They tell me they will be getting a shipment of mattress one month then box springs the next. Who wants to wait 2 months to get a mattress and box spring to sleep on when they advertise the SET?

Then I call corporate to see if they can keep a customer and the only thing they could do was look up locations that have the set upstate New York and tell me it's the club's fault when the club blames corporate. Needless to say I have terminated my membership and will deal with a competitor that will appreciate my business as a customer. If you have a BJs membership I recommend you open your eyes to what they are doing to you and if you don't like the way they are treating you as a customer CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP. They do not value their customers here.

Original review: March 6, 2018

We had been members of BJ's Wholesale Club in Sarasota, FL, since 2007. Until recently our relationship had always been good. The staff was friendly and the prices were decent. Returns were easily handled. Our friendly relationship with BJ's began to deteriorate in June, 2017. We discovered BJ's own store-branded “Berkley & Jensen” alkaline batteries in our television remote control had leaked or exploded and caused a deep, permanent acid burn in top of our media center. We immediately contacted the store manager. At his request, we emailed him a statement explaining exactly what happened, along with photos of the damage and batteries, and a scan of the sales receipt for our media center. In addition, we included a photo of even more B&J batteries that we subsequently found were leaking inside their original packaging. All the batteries were well within their marked shelf life, and all had been properly used and stored.

BJ's never bothered to contact us again. Instead, we were contacted by a third-party negotiator, Sedgwick Claims Management in Pennsylvania. We again emailed all the details, plus a $600 repair estimate. Sedgwick, however, seemed to have only one job: to get rid of us. Instead of dealing with the issue directly, Sedgwick told us to contact the battery manufacturer in China—despite that BJ's store-branded batteries did not list a manufacturer. As we discovered in our legal research, all parties—retailer, shipper, manufacturer—have potential liability regarding defective products. But BJ's and Sedgwick were not interested in any of that.

We emailed Zhongyin Ningbo Battery & Electrical Appliance Co in China. They requested, once again, all the information on the incident, which we sent. Plus they wanted the actual leaking/exploded batteries shipped to them for “examination”. The shipping company told us what we already expected: that hazardous materials such as this cannot be shipped. After explaining that to Ningbo, they eventually offered us $100 for our troubles. We countered their offer and have heard nothing from them since.

So there you have it: BJ's does not stand by their products. More and more of the products sold at BJ's carry their own store brand, and you may have no idea what company actually makes the product. We also found, too late for us, that BJ's batteries have a history of being defective. In addition, BJ's membership agreement contains an arbitration clause that severely limits a customer's ability to recover damages for defective products that cause damage. Nice. Bottom line, If you are looking to join a wholesale club, check out their membership agreement and any complaints from members.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: March 5, 2018

Kearny, NJ - this particular BJ's location customer service and price gagging is so bad lots people are NOT renewing their membership. Therefore I am doing the same. Besides that store doesn't carry even enough merchandise. Return and exchange policy and handling customer credit and debit card differ from other BJ's. So I will urge all local BJ's customer to not go back to this place.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I purchased tires with road hazard and my membership expired. They are now charging me a 20% surcharge for the road hazard repair. I spoke to a manager and she said there was nothing she could do about it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This review is only for the optical department because no major problems in other departments. I tried to take advantage of what they called a half price offer for a pair of glasses. I ended up paying over $400 for all the specifics of the kind I got and that included the half price and two other discounts! When I called another Warehouse Club to compare all the specifics of the kind of glasses I got I was quoted a price of about $50 less and that is their regular price! The other problem at my local BJ's Optical department is that one person there acts like a robot! So they do not even respond appropriately when you talk to them. Thus I would say steer clear of BJ's Optical because they are not a discount place and also they charge higher prices for comparable eyeglass frames than the other store I mentioned!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The last two times I was at BJ's I noticed the prices were getting higher and higher. Secondly they hold $100.00 back from my credit card for 18.00 bucks worth of gas. I see no reason to continue with them so back to Costco for me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Made 4 purchases in 2 days with 2 different credit cards and every single purchase was cancelled. One of the purchases was even done through the phone when I called them, and still was cancelled. Reached out online, and they were of not help blaming everything on my credit cards when I have used both of them in multiple occasions in those 2 days for purchases I made online and in person without issue. This is the worst experience I have ever had trying to make a purchase online. I even went ahead and created this account just so I could voice my frustration. Do not waste your time trying to make a purchase online from BJ'S. You will end up with pending purchases and wasting your time. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

BJ's Eyeglass Center, Monroe, NY - I bought eyeglasses from them on 6/24/17 for $494.44 and by October the lenses were completely scratched. I took them back on October 30th and was charged an additional $75. 2 weeks later the frames broke. In November I went to take them back and the eyeglass section was closed even though the Store was open. I live 45mins away and not in Monroe very often. Next time I was in the area was the beginning of December and the guy told me that there would be another charge and also said to me that the lenses were scratched!

Why should I have to pay more when I have already paid $569 and your product is flawed. Got nowhere with this guy. What it comes down to is if I want them fixed, I have to pay. I don't think I am being unreasonable asking them to fix my glasses free of charge since it's not my fault. They were not dropped, stepped on or abused in any matter. I had them on and they just came apart. Looking for some help to remedy this matter.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have bought celery that was rotten, still see same rotten bunches on the shelves weeks later. Just bought box of clementines... most rotten two days later. The store in Derby, CT needs to be attended to. I will stop shopping there if this continues. Plus my review on other sites will not be good. Do I continue to bring back rotten produce... that is more hassle than it’s worth, since I do not live nearby.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Ordered heroes for my company holiday party. Three 3ft heroes. One Italian, one American, one mixed. The receipt was very clear as to what was ordered. This was ordered at the Bellport store. Get there around 530pm to pick up the heroes for the party that was starting at 7pm. Only one 3ft hero was made. I then asked the very rude lady behind the counter "what am I suppose to do now?" Her response was "well I guess you are only leaving with one hero". Well she guessed wrong because I left with nothing. Left the hero on the counter walked out and never will return again. I then called customer service and the lady on the phone was more interested in what my member id number was than what I was calling to complain about. Thank God I was able to get food from somewhere else in such short notice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I spoke to the operation manager Don ** about his tire technicians damaged my lug and cost me $180.60 cents to repair and I came back to get the tired changed over to a snow tire. Big mistake, the tire technician damaged another lug by cross threading the lug nut. I told Manager Don ** I want tone reimbursed for $180.60 cents for the damage of the first lug and pay for the replacement of the second damaged lug. Don ** replied, "you overpaid for that repair because it a $30.00 dollar repair." I asked Manager Don ** where I could get a lug repair for $30.00 dollars? His reply, “Well when I do it myself at home it only cost me $30.00 dollars.” Don ** raised his voice to level of shouting when I told him to stop yelling.

He wanted me to sign a work order stating I had a damaged lug and bolt previously to coming into the tire shop. I refused to sign anything. Don ** continued to rant on about the possibilities of my driving habits damaging the lugs or me rotating my tires and wearing the lugs down. This guy, Don ** was unprofessional and irrational. I called BJ's Corporate Office to report Don **.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Bought a Shark rotator professional vacuum cleaner for 129 dollars on Black Friday (11/23/17). I was supposed to receive it on 11/28/17. As of today (12/11/17), I still haven't received it and BJ's has made no attempt to get this resolved with their shipping service UPS. They took my money from the account which I saved just for this vacuum from months ago. Both UPS & BJ's have been giving me the run around from the get go. Save your money people and DO NOT SHOP ONLINE AT BJ's. They DO NOT care about your money or your time.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I visited the locate BJ's in Fishkill NY on September 30th with my kids. My daughter was visiting for her birthday and she needed some things so we figured we would check it out. When we got to the store I went to customer service and asked if I could shop. I knew it was a membership thing but since I do not drive and wouldn't be coming back I didn't want to join. I explained all of this to the girl at customer service. She explained I could shop and the cost would be $5.00. Ok. I agreed. I used my debit card and off we went shopping. After spending $133.00 I never gave it another thought till today when my card was charged $54.06 for a membership. A membership? I never agreed to. I don't drive and I don't live near it. Why would I join? I called the store to question the charges after I explained it to the girl that answered the phone. She said, "Hold on." Didn't ask for any of my personal information. Just hold on. There I sat for 25 mins before hanging up.

I called back immediately of course now a little annoyed. I re-explain my story and sadly get the same result. Back on hold for 30 mins before hanging up. This time I call back and just simply ask for the manager. I get a man named Ahmed who says he is the manager. I explain my story. He tells me I have to come in the store and he will investigate. "No no no I work very long hours and hello I don't drive. I do not live near the store - you took my money without me being there so return my money without me being there." He finally asks for my information and says he will call me back.

I ask, "And tell me when I am getting my refund?" He explains, "Well no. I will tell you what happened." I said, "I don't care what happened. I never signed up. Look at the records. I was there 1 time in your store and I want a refund - end of story." He said, "Ok. I will call you back and let you know when you will get your refund." I asked him when and he said today... We will see - I will add to this as more happens.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Two words when deciding to order from BJ's: STAY AWAY. Terrible experience from the beginning. Ordered appliances online and got nothing but the runaround. Orders canceled and re-ordered and then canceled again, all because of BJ's own personnel. Every time you call and speak to someone you get a different answer and no one is helpful.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I ordered some diapers for my son on Nov 21st. It is Dec 4th and I still have not received them. When I called customer service they told me there was nothing they could do for me. The delivery date changed 5 times. Every time they said I would get the diapers the date changed. I thought the diapers would be delivered before delivery date changed and My wife recently had surgery and could not go to store to buy diapers while I was at work so my son went half the day without diapers and he is 6 months. I don't know if I will ever receive these diapers and their customer service manager refused to return my money so I can go buy diapers for my son somewhere else. I had to get some diapers from my brother to get by. That will be last time I purchase anything from them!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Yesterday, I went back to BJ's to return one item from shopping I had the day before. At customer service desk cashier ** her voice very loud when I gave her member card. She did return on gift card without telling me anything then I said I want my money back not gift card, she said, "You don’t have receipt. YOU ALWAYS RETURN, I KNOW YOU!!!" In front of customers. I felt so bad because the way she spoke to me & I don’t always return as she said unless package unsealed or rotten.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We have belonged to a BJ's Wholesale Club for a good 15 plus years (not at same location) and we are not going to renew this December when our membership expires. It is too frustrating to shop at a store that you pay to shop in but still have to cut coupons. Even more frustrating is the coupon books come in the mail and have different expiration dates. We have to go through 2 books of coupons since they overlap and then there are coupons in other books that you get in mail or at the store. I have received emails about downloading app so coupons can be saved there but I can not sign in. It does not take the membership number, my email and name. We find this very frustrating and we spend hours going through all these coupons. If items are on special why don't they just ring up on special - why these frustrating coupons?

Not only do we frustrate ourselves for hours 1 -2 times a month but when getting receipt you can not tell which coupon items have been scanned. The check-out clerks can not force coupons to go through and try to hand back ones that didn't work so then there is a trip to the customer service desk where you have to wait again. BJ's can just lower their prices on certain items or have a sale with NO COUPONS. This has driven us away from continuing our membership.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was in the BJ's warehouse in Farmingdale, New York this morning and lost a glove in the store. Before I left the store I went to the member services desk and asked if anyone turned in a glove and they told me No. They said to call back in a little while. Maybe somebody would turn it in. That was over 7 hours ago. Since then I have called the warehouse numerous times and could not get anyone to pick up the phone. I called the corporate office and I had the same experience. I called their member care number and finally got a human being who said they would contact the store and have them get back to me. No responses. I put a comment on BJ's Facebook account and was advised to contact the store directly. Obviously she was not listening to nothing to me in my complaint that no one answers the phones. Very very bad customer service!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Yesterday I was checking out, there was an issue with an item the customer in front of me was purchasing. The cashier left her Station and was gone a fully 10 minutes. Even the customer in front of me was looking everywhere for. In the meantime they opened up the line next to me as we were backing up. Since I was next I thought he would take me first, but he started taking all the people behind me.

Finally the cashier returned, she never said one word, no apology, no greeting, nothing. I went to sign my purchase and I couldn’t find the stylist anywhere, the cashier was busy talking to the cashier next to her, finally she turns to me and says “use your finger “. Then when I left the store, the women punched my receipt and just handed it back to me without a word. This is not the first time I have had bad service at this store, I even canceled my membership at one point. I am seriously considering it again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have been a customer at BJ's for many years, and I am considering canceling this membership because every time I go to the deli, there's a huge wait time even if there are only a couple of people in front of me. I go to Club 367 and the last time I went on October 6th, 2017 at around 8:30 pm, there were about 6 people in line and there was only one person helping customers and the other lady was cleaning. I asked why there was only one person helping customers and they said that they needed to clean otherwise they would not finish in time. They told me to come here and complain and so that is what I am doing. I am seriously considering not renewing my membership just because of the wait time at the deli.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We shop here EVERY month for groceries with 6 children. We do not get any assistance and live on my VA disability so we have to budget. As a veteran I get a discount on the membership so we get the 2% back membership and almost every month, because of what we spend for groceries and other sundries and household items, we get a rewards increment (paid oUT in $20 increments). This past April (2017) we spent upwards of $500 and our rewards thing on the receipt tells us you need to spend (this amount) to next reward and the previous receipt said we needed just over $400. When I went back later in the month for milk and stuff, I fully expected to see that rewards there for me to use. Our membership never recorded that entire purchase! I had the previous receipt to compare it to.

We went into the store with this info and was told that sometimes it can take a while to show. Still nothing by the next month and gave up on it and the ONLY way to explain this huge discrepancy was the employee used her own membership card instead of mine. By the time we came to this realization we didn't have those receipts to compare the membership numbers (at the time I never paid attention that it's actually printed on the receipt).

Since then I have watched as I hand my card to them and ensure they scan it. Well just a few days ago I firmly believe it would've happened again had I not been paying attention. We already had the belt full and I handed over my membership card. She took it, stood there holding it behind both her hands instead of scanning it and handing it back. I counted in my head. She stood like that for 51 seconds before she scanned the card and handed it back. And we were waiting for her to start scanning items so we could put the rest on the belt.

In this particular case instead of scanning and packing she did something unusual where she took the hand scanner and worked her way down the belt. Since we budget I add our cost as we go to try and ensure we know how much to expect to pay at checkout and to ensure we don't get overcharged. That simply struck me as odd. Now, I haven't seen any other complaints of this but I am willing to bet it happens pretty often since most people hand off their card and go about loading the belt, not watching the cashier. My recommendation is to physically watch them scan your membership!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

One month prior to subscription renewal I called to cancel. After customer service rep said all is well done I said goodbye. Well yesterday I was charged renewal fee anyway. I called explained. Had rude person on other end but charged was going to be reversed. Now I find out that not only did they overdraft my account but it will take 7 to 10 days for them to return funds, because they have no record of original call. Bad business practice, will never go back.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

BJ's promotes its credit card in all of its stores. They promise cashback rewards in addition to $.10 off the price of gas at its pumps. The gas is, in fact, discounted; however, you receive no cash back for gas purchases. Moreover, when you finally spend enough to get to the $20.00 cash back, the reward cannot be used to pay down your balance on the card, as you can on other cards and you must spend $20.00 all at once in-store to receive the bonus. In other words, after working hard to get the $20.00 cash back reward, you have to give it right back to BJ's. And the reward expires in six months and cannot be reissued! Going forward, I will use the card only to purchase gas! Period!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Went to one of your Miami BJ's clubs and was in the express checkout lane for nearly 10 minutes. The lady in front of me was at the teller machine clipping her coupons while at the express checkout teller which cause a backup and forced me to go to a regular teller. BJ's should have a policy that restricts coupon clipping while checking out especially in one of the express lanes. I believe you should looking into this policy of doing coupons while you are checking out. Remember you are not the only game in town, we can easily not renew our membership and go with the competition!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have been a member for many years. I like shopping here for many reasons. There is always plenty of parking, besides bulk quantities they also have smaller items, like the deli, and they send me coupons regularly for items I actually buy! It can get busy on the weekends and they usually dont have many registers open. However, self checkout is always open and it's pretty easy! I do my shopping early or during the week when it's slower and I'm in and out. I bought a pair of glasses once and didnt have any issues. And the liquor store is one door over if I need to pick up something. One stop shopping. Overall experience I love shopping here!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Noticed particularly long lines at BJ's last several months but lately has gotten way out of control. Yesterday, 8/31/17, after completing a one hour long, full cart shopping ordeal, I get to check out only to find the entire front end clogged with other miserable shoppers waiting way too long to be checked out. And why did I waste an entire hour filling my cart in the first place? Every other food item I looked at was at or very close to expiration!!! And it wasn't a few pieces of each item... the entire shelf was just chock full, freshly stocked, with old stock! The "Organic" salad blends labeled 9/04/17. Sabra Hummus, 9/07/17. Packaged ham, bacon, cheese, juice, milk, virtually every item I had to dig thru to attempt to find a decent expiration date. The Thomas english muffins (18 pack) had 5 days left. And this was a full sized bread cart fully stocked.

After 15 minutes in line they finally opened another check out and I got there first. I told the girl, "This place is really going down hill." And that all the food had very short or expired expiration dates, she just looked and smiled. If this is the way "members" are treated by BJ's, I can't imagine how bad it would be if they operated a regular grocery store where they don't gouge you for yearly membership! Very, very bad service and total disregard for their customer base.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We pay for a membership and this is the second time in three months there were two self checkout and one regular lane open. The prices are going up and the customer service is poor. I will definitely be rethinking renewing my 50.00 membership.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information