BJ's Wholesale Club

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We pay for a membership and this is the second time in three months there were two self checkout and one regular lane open. The prices are going up and the customer service is poor. I will definitely be rethinking renewing my 50.00 membership.

I went to BJ's Wholesale Club in Deptford N.J this morning.This club is our regular club. I went to purchase gasoline and to my surprise there were 16 cars deep in every lane. While waiting all the customers heard the two workers yes only two workers talking about apparently another worker Tim calling out and that he was a bum and that management does not give a ** about the gas workers. ALL this was heard by every customer waiting. That's how loud it was. This is a privacy factor and should never be spoken about in front of customers.

I called the store and spoke to Corey the operations manager. I explained the lines outside and the talking about other employees and The management by these two workers. Corey's response was management can't control employees talking and that they did not have enough workers for the gas. I asked him. If they cross trained workers inside to help out at the gas and he said no. I then asked Corey for the district managers name and number and he said the district managers does not talk to customers.

For a company like BJ's which is third behind Sam's and Costco and has a new CEO I don't think not listening to the customers' voices might speak the end of BJ's. I, am thinking of not renewing our membership and going to Sam's Club in the future. When your upper management does not want to hear from its members it does not say a great thing about this company.

I purchased a pair glasses and pick them up by their records in June. Today is July 31. I don't wear these glasses. Deli in the frames are ready came apart from the glasses appear to be Sarder. They want to charge me $15 to replace frames that I don't wear them that often and already broke in less than 20 days of wearing time. It is a defect but it happened after deer 30 days. I guess I should've bought him the whole 30 days to see how their product stands out. Very dissatisfied customer. I'll never buy frames again from BJ's and I guess it's my fault because I should've looked at the ratings and they weren't high for the optical department. Lesson learned.

I am furious over the non working online coupon system. I went through the process of logging in, viewing 182 coupons, selecting a lousy 10 coupons to print, entered my phone number, received the verification code, entered it and NOTHING. So I called customer service which has a phone system hell for 10 minutes before getting a live person... No. I was connected to billing who was of no help. I was then told that she would give me another number to call??? When I refused that she said she could conference me into the correct department - did she??? NO. I did tell both reps that this has irritated me so much that I will not buy a subscription for next year since Sam's Club is just as close to my home. DO NOT TRY TO REDEEM COUPONS ONLINE OR PRINT THEM - NO BJ'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. In total I wasted 45 minutes of my life.

Your mailer does not include sale prices. With nothing to compare to, ads that say "$N off" don't give me the information I need. I'm sure you hope I'll drive to your store to find out this information and spend on unplanned purchases. I won't. Instead, I toss your mailer in the recycle bin without looking through it. I'm sure many other seniors do this too. Seems like a misdirected advertising policy to me. Perhaps you could change it? I think your earnings would improve if you did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

I am disappointed by the tire service in the East Rutherford BJ's I received on July 14, 2017. I needed one tire repair which took more than three hours to complete. Three hours I sat in the tire store watching dozens of customers come in and there was only one person able to sell tires/answer the phone/answer customer questions and on top of that go back and forth to fix my tire. I am completely frustrated by this extraordinary poor service. I bought all four of my tires from BJ's with the belief that I would be able to receive great service but it was the complete opposite.

It looks like the supervisors in the Quincy store treat her ** staff like wild dogs. I caught her screaming at an employee. He should report her to the state office for workers, because she is still there ill treating the staff, and high office management people doing nothing. The staff need to get together, the ** staff and get a union to enforce your rights. No way a supervisor should be treating the staff like that. It looks like she only treat the ** staff like dirt. The staff should document and take a case against this ** woman, no way I would let her talk to me like that.

I got into a line where the woman was already checking out, didn't know she had a coupon for every item she bought. Needed assistance 3 times and all 3 times the big guy that was suppose to be assisting was just spacing out. The 3rd time I got out of line and went to a young lady who was also there and asked if she could just help this woman. After close to 8 minutes she finally finished. I tried starting the check out process while her things were still on the belt. (I have seen employees start putting thing in the cart before, this lady definitely needed help but the big guy liked staring into space better.) After the 2nd time trying to start the check out process I got a 'put item aside, someone will assist', took a deep breath and tried a 3rd time and the item went through.

Scanned the rest of my items and big guy comes over asking if I need help. I say no, not realizing that since the light is flashing, I cannot finish paying for my order. Big guy, you should have realized this since this is your job. Once realizing this I walk back up to the young lady and said, rather exasperated I will admit, and said "can you just take care of that so I can pay". She looks at me and says “what did you say? that is what I am trying to do and I am not even on the clock!” Ok, you got the BJ's shirt on, hanging out, I am suppose to know you aren't working? Sorry I was taking my frustration out on you but big guy was clueless. When I finally left, big guy was chatting up the Dunkin' Donuts employee. Another dedicated BJ's employee. We belong to Sam's Club too and for the 3 items that we buy the BJ's has and Sam's doesn't, I will go to the grocery store for. Not going back there again.

Visited 6/14/2017. The supervisor Madelyn, is so rude. I am filing a complaint with corporate. I purchased my goods and used coupons. One item I doubled couponed (because I had two of the items), she voided out my entire $300 purchase. I asked her to void the doubled coupon and she stated she needs to void everything and I need to rescan all my items. For a $1 coupon... I asked her to return my coupons (15) and she said there was no way for her to do that. Oh really! Not to mention my toddlers are impatient and running around. I just wanted my goods so I could get my children safely to the car before the storm began (thunder outside at this point, no rain yet).

I pay for these services and feel completely mistreated. I left without my goods, and now I called customer service and I spoke with the manager. No one has resolved it or returned my call. They stated it would be resolved within 24-48 hours. Now I understand why the manager has not responded. I read a post on a different site from a consumer who visited 6/9/2017 stating: "there earlier and overheard the manager butch lady laughing with a supervisor named Maddylin (I had to take a quick glimpse at her name tag when I walked by) about an employee that got fired. How professional is that??"

BJ's Warehouse in Akron has the snottiest and most unfriendly management team I have ever seen in retail. I was a member for 4 years and actually cancelled last month because of the rotten attitudes in that store. There are people walking around with management badges on that have looks on their faces like they would rather be anywhere but there and then there's a man who has a store manager badge (Ron something) who is quite possibly the grumpiest old man I have ever witnessed. Glares at my kids because they dropped a potato chip then looks at me, points to it and says "Pick that up." This guy is a perfect example of why my family switched to Sam's Club. VERY unfriendly place... you almost want to apologize to the employees for bothering them.

Ordered a copper gazebo that cost $ 2600.00. It was part of a landscaping project. I was out of town when the landscape company unpackaged and installed the gazebo including anchoring it the slab. Came home to find a B L A C K GAZEBO. Not what I ordered, not what I paid for! Customer services response to my problem was, we will forward it to the supplier to see if they will do anything. I dealt with BJ's, not their supplier. It would appear I am out the 2500 cost and the 500 to have it put up all thanks to BJ's. Please don't deal with this company. Did not send what I ordered or paid for! Fraud!

Got a deal with 2 pairs of glasses. You get what you pay for. They were progressives. The span is not great. Very blurry in spots. My contacts work much better. Bottom line is you have to be careful on getting buys. Especially with glasses. Won't go back.

20 Year member, wife out of town with card. Had temp card. Went to customer service talked to Kyle. Kyle to stated that I could not use card, get coupon book or shop there. Spoke to manager Mellisa. She stated that it was policy, "People try to steal ID's". I had three forms of ID. Mellisa threw temp card in trash and stated, "Good Luck". With no luck needed, I drove a mile away to Sam's Club. They can now use the over 8 thousand dollars a year we have spent at BJ's. Good luck trying to contact BJ's corporate. They hide the CEO's contact info. Class act. Stuff was cheaper at Sam's! Mellisa and Kyle, if you read this, thanks, I needed a change anyway. Good luck losers.

Husband purchased glasses at BJ's. Frames were terrible. Went back, got new frame, but then the top of one lens developed two cracks. Returned the glasses to BJ's who returned them to the maker. After waiting over two week we were informed that the crack in the lens was not severe enough to replace the lens??? Would NEVER recommend purchasing anything optical at BJ's, our eyes are too precious.

Went to BJ's to the tire shop. Talk with the manager about choices of tire for my car. Review my choices. I choose the tire, make an appointment, came to my appointment, wasted over two hours in the wrong tire been installed in my car. First they told me that I don't manufacture the tire anymore. After a while they told me that the tires are wrong for my car. In the meantime I wish that close to three hours and got nowhere. I request my old tire back on the car and left. Not recommend a place to anyone.

I am upset that I spent 40 minutes waiting at the "Customer Service" desk and never received my order. I received an email saying that my order was ready. Went to pick it up and it never made it to the front of the store. This is not the first time that I have had issues with this service, but it's the last! I still don't know what happened to my order and no-one seemed to care!

When I went into BJ's I was planning on purchasing a GoPro 4. They were sold out online and just about every location. But our customer service man had offered to drive to the 2 hour away location and bring back the GoPro since he was going there anyway. I didn't expect him to go the extra mile and help us out. He called the location and took my information to let me know in a few days when he had brought back the GoPro. He then explained it was no problem since he understood that that was what customer service was all about.

Today I had a very bad shopping experience at BJ's and I was very disappointed. Looking at this receipt, there were a total of 4 "CPN-MOBIL 1" that were listed on there, which is bottles of motor oil. However, in fact I only bought 3 of them and I know because I only needed 3. Therefore after going through the receipt, I proceeded to go back and check if a mistake were made. However, the workers there were very confident that I bought 4 and they said they even checked the security camera. I asked if they wanted to see the only 3 bottles that I bought and they said "no, that's fine". However I also asked if I could look at the security camera to make sure and they said I was not allowed to. I was very disappointed and upset. I am writing this hoping that nobody else have to experience this ever again.

I returned an food item that I bought a few days earlier. I did not notice the expiration date had passed. I returned it to BJ's and did not have my receipt. I expected a refund, however I received a store credit. I asked why and was told it was store policy. I know that Costco is able to locate your purchase from your membership card and refund the return without a receipt. Not sure why BJ's policies are still in the 1980's. I know where I will be shopping going forward...

Bought a few tv's that had a amazing sale price online, 10 mins later I get a canceled email and I called customer service at corporate office in mass and she asked if something was wrong with me because I bought a tv for 16 dollars. Problem is if it my mistake I would be expected to pay for it, but their mistake we pay as customers. She also started to get louder as I became more collected, she wanted me to engage in a screaming match so she could disconnect the call and egged me on to do so.

I had asked for her supervisor who conveniently said she was sitting right next her and said she was not screaming. She just loud to help me understand. Clearly the customer support here is superb, I asked if they would do anything for me as the customer because of the mistake. She said, "We already did. You'll get your money back" and then proceeded to lecture me on knowing what's right and wrong. I asked for the new lady Valerie's supervisor. She put me on hold and hung up. My next step is BBB and FTC. Fair trade act my @$$.

Teflon clear coat prematurely wearing off glasses - I spoke with the Optical Manager and she said there was nothing she could do because the glasses were over 1 year old. I paid extra for the Teflon clear coat - Teflon coating is the latest non-glare technology which is designed to repel dust, water, oil and scratches. I'm thinking the Teflon coating was not applied correctly on the glasses or the Teflon coating has a manufacturing defect. I'm hoping you can help resolve this issue.

I was shopping at BJ's in Jensen Beach, FL, when I was approached by a man who was wearing a BJ's badge. He said the store was promoting a MasterCard offered by Comenity Capital Bank. I looked on his badge. His name was Carl. He went on to explain if approved, the credit card would come with a 7.99 Apr for In store purchases, plus double cashback, if you bought electronics. I asked if the Apr was accurate and real, Carl assured me that it was. I applied on the spot, was approved and spent almost 400 dollars. I also asked if my credit report would be pulled, he said "no it's a soft hit."

When the card arrived, and I read the enclosed information on my Apr I was shocked to see it was 25.24%. Thinking this was some sort of mistake I called the number on the back of the card. I spoke with Sam from Comenity Bank. I spoke of my concerns about the incorrect Apr. Sam told me he saw I was approved for the Apr but he would have to speak to someone on how to correct the problem. Sam put me on hold, for a bit, when he came back to our call, he apologized and said that promotion was no longer in effect. Sam said the promotion had discontinued for a while.

I was very upset, and he transferred me to someone else who basically said nothing could done, and they wouldn't lower my Apr or contact credit bureau about the hard pull of my report. I said "I felt deceived." What about everyone else who was lied to on January 21, 2017? How many others got roped into this deceptive and fraudulent scam? I called BJ's and no one knew about the credit card scam, the mgr confirmed to me that the Apr was not 7.99% as promised. The mgr wrote an email to corporate, and I am waiting for responses to this serious matter. Did anyone else have this problem? The hard pull lowered my credit score several points. Thank God for credit Karma keeping me updated. I want something done about this matter. I have all paperwork to prove I should have rec'd the 7.99%.

BJ's represents itself as a "wholesale warehouse club" and charges an annual membership fee. What I am unable to understand is how is a wholesale club, representing itself as offering the lowest wholesale prices in exchange for the annual fee, have and offer substantial numbers of discount coupons for products which it regularly carries. They can't actually be doing both and also making a substantial profit. It seems to me that BJ's is charging (membership fee) for something that that don't really offer (lowest wholesale prices). BJ's mails out discount coupon booklets approximately monthly.

I recently purchased a Samsung television at BJ's for what I was led to believe via a $100 discount coupon, that I was getting a great deal at $229. The part hard to accept is that about a week later I saw that very same television at Wal-Mart regularly priced at $218.99. Retail pricing, by its nature, is higher than wholesale pricing. This is not the only time I have felt cheated at BJ's but it is the reason I have not renewed my membership.

I will continue to purchase my glasses at BJ's because the quality and price are excellent. I picked up my glasses at the store. The fitting process was excellent and professionally accomplished. My $70.00 glasses are as good as the $350 pair I got from Lenscrafters. The selection is definitely more limited than a store like Lenscrafters, but adequate for my needs.

I have been a member for well over 15 years. I purchased a iPad for a Christmas gift on the 9th of December 2016. Order was supposed to ship in 5 to 7 business days. Received no shipment details in the time frame so called customer service and waited to speak with someone for over 25 minutes. When l got thru was told items was on back order. I called again on the 21st and after waiting another 20 plus minutes was given an expected ship date of 12/30/2016. The supervisor I dealt with was very understanding about my concerns of a Christmas Delivery. Was not able to receive iPad before Christmas but gave me credit for the inconvenience of not having item in time for Christmas. I was more upset that you could still go onto website and order item with a 5 to 7 business day delivery.

I have been waiting patiently for item to ship. Wrote a inquiry on the 5th of January to get a possible eta shipment and was told no idea as of this time. Got an email on the 10th stating my order was cancelled and called customer service again and waited over 14 minutes to even speak with someone. Was on phone with them for approximately 40 minutes and 4 seconds just to be told there is nothing they can do for me. I feel this is totally unrealistic. I feel they just didn't want to hold up their end of the deal being that they gave me money off. Another prime example of a company who really does not care what the consumer feels. They are totally in the wrong with this issue. I can go to apple and place a order or buy this item at a local Apple Store today. They stated that the item was not available from apple. Lost a longtime member.

South Philadelphia Store, January 3rd, 2017, approximately 6:15 PM. My friend, who was with me at the time and is a member at Costco, observed the prices of numerous items are higher than Costco, as well as CVS (with coupons and discounts). All of the cashiers were closed. Self checkout was the only option. The woman who checked the receipt on my way out said "Are you going to move?" when she was looking at the 8 items I purchased. She then rudely wished me a "Merry Christmas and a happy New Year". I cut up my membership card, and will never go back to BJ's. Not this Christmas, next year, or any year! My in-laws left BJ's 2 years ago. High prices, "membership fee", lack of cashiers, rudeness of employees, lack of selection, distance of store from my house. NO THANKS!

I'm not a member with BJ's. Now I'm thinking never to be a member again. I was a member in 2015 and 2016. I refused to be a member with BJ's because you wrongfully withdrawal membership fee from my bank card. So again I'm not a member with BJ's. I was a secondary member in 2015. Now 2017 there is a membership fee being processed from my bank card again. I will also place this company under suspicious because I said it last year, I was not a member with BJ's but you still negligently continued to charge for a service that is not provided to me. Please delete me from your BJ's billing. How dare this company ruin my new year by stealing from me.

I have been a BJ's member since 2009. I pay for a premium membership on an annual basis. The membership fee includes my enrollment in the 2% rewards program. For years I would let the rewards program points accrue until my membership renewal time and cash in the reward points once a year when my membership was renewed. Unknown to me BJ's changed the rewards points program to have the points expire after six months, (use them or lose them). But I am still expected to pay for a membership fee on an annual basis. I think the membership fee and the reward points should have the same longevity cycle. BJ's appears not care about individual members based on their response to my objection to this new rewards policy change.

Ordered tires 12/10, totaled car 12/11. Called to cancel tires. 12/12 I get billed on my debit card, I understand it's a hold, all companies do this. Got billed again 12/15. Called to say "Hey, it's Christmas, please don't double bill me." Was told I'd have to wait until they straightened it out. Meantime I'm incurring overdraft fees for the double billing. There goes Christmas. Day after Christmas I get billed... AGAIN!!! If I went to BJ's and took over a thousand dollars' worth of merchandise I'd be in jail. No satisfaction from any people on phone - transferred to wait on hold over 45 min each time. DON'T DO IT, buy local, buy at another big box, anywhere but here.

I purchased tires from BJ's wholesale at Valley Stream for over $500, on the drive home the tires wobbled tremendously. I took the car back to BJ's the next day and they told me that the new tires had to get accustomed to the road. I tried reaching the store manager as no one in the tire department was interested in helping me and kept giving me the runaround, 2 months later after speaking to the general manager my tires were finally changed. The service at the Valley Stream location is horrible.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Profile