3.85/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

BJ's Wholesale Club

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

BJ's Wholesale Club Reviews

Resolution response: Oct. 5, 2019

I have received a refund from the company. It took much longer than it should have and required threats of legal action, but they did eventually refund my membership fee.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

A bit over a year ago, a BJ's employee pressured me to upgrade my military membership to a rewards membership while I was waiting on the checkout line. I told her that I didn't spend enough money at BJ's for it to make sense math-wise. The employee claimed to check my purchase history, told me that I would indeed save money with the rewards membership, and assured me that I could cancel if I found the rewards membership wasn't working out for me. A short time after that, my membership renewed at the upgraded level.

When renewal time came around this year, I checked my purchases and found that I was not getting my money's worth out of the upgraded membership, so I called BJ's, initially asking only that my membership be downgraded and the upgrade be refunded. I was told that that was not allowed, despite what the employee in the club had told me.

Not happy about having been lied to, I requested that my membership be completely canceled and refunded, which BJ's site states can be done at any time. After a very long time on hold, the agent told me that she had taken care of it. After about another week or so, I checked and found that my membership had not been canceled and no refund had been issued. I called BJ's again and was told that my membership had been canceled, but the refund request had not been processed. The agent told me she would do so, however.

Another week or so went by with no cancellation and no refund, so I posted a review the BBB web site. A few days later, A BJ's manager emailed me and asked for my phone number, which I provided by email. A few days after that, the same manager emailed me again and told me she couldn't get in touch with me at the number I provided, and to please provide a different one, which I provided.

Another few days went by with no contact from BJ's, so I replied to the previous email with an ultimatum: Either refund my money within 48 hours, or I will file complaints with the Attorney General of New York and Massachusetts and with the FTC. We'll see what happens. My advice is simple. I'm not going to recommend that you join BJ's or that you don't join. If you like the store and the prices, more power to you.

What I will say, however, is that you should be absolutely certain you like the place before you pay for a membership. Get a trial membership first and try it out; because once you pay for a membership, BJ's will do everything they possibly can to avoid refunding your money. In short, it took me less time and effort to join the military than it's taking me to cancel my membership and get a refund. So again, be very sure that you like BJ's before you pay for a membership.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

We placed an order for a close out item that was a great price but the order has been a headache since placing! Everyday we get conflicting statements from shipper and from company itself! We’re told it shipped, then it hasn’t shipped. The next person states it’s on the east coast, then it’s in Dallas, then Austin. Then we were told it hadn’t shipped. The worst part is that we were charged for full amount which is hundreds of dollars, and now are being blown off by BJ’s! Not sure where to go next! Very disappointing? Be very cautious when placing an order!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Got approved for credit card which I never received. Called them after 3 weeks of waiting and they told me that they had to close the account due to some security reasons which they couldn't discuss with me. They lowered my credit score by this unexplained decision. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from BJ's. Switch to Costco, that's what I did. No problems with anything.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Online we tried to buy something, it said our membership had expired! BUT we renewed in FEB.! I called the local store where we buy and they said, yes we are paid up BUT they can't call the corp. to tell them, I MUST DO IT! My husband had tried for over 1/2 hr and never talked to a human and I picked it up at 5pm and when I called the 800# was on hold for over 45 mins and got switched over and over and had to re-enter my membership # over and over! THEN at 7PM, they closed and I was cut off! TODAY I renewed my call and tried again, same thing happened. And after waiting and give our membership # over & over---ONE hour spent on their automated-no human beings-phone---I hung up! I was to get a return call to rate my experience but didn't even get that! I am fed up with this company and next FEB. we will not renew! THIS IS NO WAY TO GET CUSTOMERS or KEEP THEM!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I ordered a $900 backyard playset for my nephews and while it was supposed to be delivered on July 6th, I still haven't received it. Even worse, their system is so trash that not only is their tracking system not working on their website, even their associates can't even find my order. How the hell does a company this large lose a massive package like this?? I also have an open return with them, but they're just spinning my wheels. Honestly, screw this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: July 9, 2019

This was my second time with online ordering and it will be my last. I am also terminating my membership after 11+ years. To keep this brief, I will bullet point and summarize: I received notification of 2 shipments. The first was received on Friday, 7/5. Per the packing slip and e-mail the paper plates were to be in that shipment. No paper plates were in the box. When I called Friday, I was given conflicting information: I had to call back in three days to see if it arrived by then. Then the rep noted, “it was delivered today” (to which I explained again no paper plates were in the box). I called back yesterday: I was told I had to wait three more days for the case to be escalated. This is not acceptable.

Then I was told I could receive a gift card for $15 but would have to wait 21 days to receive it. I would also have to reorder the paper towels (at a discount) (the rep neglected to mention that I would have to pay shipping because the order was under $100). Also, not acceptable. Finally, after being on the phone for 45 minutes with multiple times waiting to speak to a supervisor, I was told I could get a refund back to my credit card. Let's see if that happens. I don’t understand why I couldn’t just have to paper towels sent to me. I used this service as a convenience to save time, but ended up spending more time and frustration over an $11.99 bundle of paper plates. So frustrating! The reps tried to be polite but they were no help at all. I felt like I was just getting the runaround. In addition, both times I called I was offered a survey at the end and told I would be called back 2 minutes after the call ended and I didn’t get a call either time. Horrible experience!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Only one cashier line. 8 self-serve line full of waiting people. In several occasions I called the manager to try to improve the situation but I feel is becoming worse. Today I was 40 minutes in line on one cashier line. On the self service lines there was one helper per line but the process is delayed because people are not cashiers. The manager explained to me this is the way the industry goes, I explained to him the membership is paid by members to receive in return a level of service that is not improving. Maybe the industry is going to membership-less stores. Thanks Pembroke Pines, FL store (near a 55+ community).

Original review: June 26, 2019

HELP! It appears to be easier to get out of Scientology cult than to terminate our BJ's membership. They automatically charged us for renewal even after we canceled our membership, Now including last fees we have a bill of $128, no purchases just renewal, late fees and interest. Has anyone successfully dumped this bunch of criminals? Please email at **. Thanks in advance.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Thru 2015 we took the membership and we canceled a year after due to poor use of the membership. Store too far from me but everything is turned crazy when we see that BJ's credit cards is charging every year for membership and late fees as well. We owe $0.00 to card but now they are sending a bill close to $400 dollars and continue charging even after we have called many times, to clear the account to $0.00 and they say they do. We also called two weeks ago to membership and report the issue but look like they're blind, or some is practicing fraud on customers and we get caught, but this is not over yet. If they want hard time they get it. I will complain even at hell to drop their customers, letting them know how they want to make easy money. Scam money, scamming customers.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had a very positive experience at BJ's in Manchester CT location in the Tire Department. Kyle and Alex were the two tire installation professional who helped me with my query related to the tire. Not only they were professional in their work, they explained the situation with my tire and recommended the best option. Saving my time and money at the same time. I will definitely buy tires from this location in future just because they have great people working for them.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information