1.31/5

249 BJ's Wholesale Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am completely dissatisfied with the Poor BJ's Wholesale Club & BJ hunt. It is really a false company who just advertises to get customers but they provide zero service to you. Their staff & associates are too rude to talk & never help to solve the problem. My husband ordered for a Whirlpool Dishwasher 1 month back. They scheduled delivery appointment for 15th September & when they came they refused to deliver the product & said, "You need to Uninstall the old dishwasher" which they didn't inform earlier and went back & again rescheduled for 27th September.

Whole day me & my husband waited for the item to get delivered but nobody showed up, again it was rescheduled for 4th October. They got the damaged piece & As it was damage we sent it back & when I call the service tech they say they would reschedule again after 10 days & when I asked for the compensation the lady gives me $20 as a credit. I Would really advise you do not buy any products especially any appliances with the so called BJ's as they take your money but provide you nothing on time.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I purchased a Generac gas pressure washer from BJ's and after first use I was not at all happy with the product. It's so hard to start and the soap dispenser not working and lot smoke coming and I want to return that product and Bj's don't take it back since they don't take back any product with gas. So be very careful with Bj's and I have Sam's Club and Costco membership too. I never experience any issue with them. Now I am stuck with this product so read the fine print before you buy something from Bj's and I never want shop place like this.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Pray that you never need customer service because they don't have any and they are not there for you. Don't ever think of using their auto buying program, they will work real hard at denying you the promised and advertised perk. After weeks of emails they say they will make a bad situation right and mail me a gift card within two week. They never sent the gift card. Now they don't respond. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

BJ's card was refused at the gas pump 3 different times. I saw others have the same problem. Attendant said there was nothing he can do. I went inside to check on the card and was told it was GOOD. This place is a dump compared to Costco, no more bfs for me. Going to Costco.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I am seeing the downward trend at BJ’s. I've been willing to forgive the few times I've had bad experiences there (bad food, rude employees). But today I was made to feel guilty through no fault of my own. It might sound dramatic, but that's how I felt and I can't shake it. Basically, the employee at the exit who checks outgoing carts caught an item that the cashier had missed (I wasn't paying attention either so I missed it too). The employee at the exit was very thorough. I've always wondered how these cart checkers did their job; I suppose they should count everything, right? What if someone has 200 items in their cart? Will they spend the 2 or 3 minutes counting, and maybe counting again (like what happened with me with only 19 items)? They should, right?

But in all my years as a BJ shopper, I've really never had a problem being held up on the way out; either the checkers weren't really counting or they were very very fast and good at what they do. But I figured that, setting aside actual shoplifting (which this occasion wasn't), the scales should balance with cashiers missing a scan here and there and cashiers ringing items twice here and there with my dozens of shopping trips. But to shame and make customers wait because of their cashiers' mistakes? Come on, BJ’s. I hope this employee was just an overly zealous one-off, and you realize how much this is costing you in good will.

And I hope race doesn't have something to do with it. I am Asian-American. The employee checker says she checks everybody's cart very thoroughly. Yes, even very full carts with things buried? With only one of you at the exit, are you going to move things around to count everything, and maybe count more than once? How about the lady behind me with even more items than mine? You waved her through in less than 30 seconds. You counted all the items in her cart, you say? That Costco membership is looking better and better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was shopping yesterday August 3 and wanted something from the deli department. One of the deli employees (female) dirty looking, hair all over the place no net, make up running down her face. She looked like a clown. I didn't think it could get worse than a male employee started washing his face in a small sink behind the deli counter, but visible to all the public. Then after washing his face, wet his hands about 3/4 times to "slick his hair back" so wet his hands then ran his wet hands thru his hair to push it back. I was horrified. Next door to him was the rotisserie chicken and they heard me say to my husband how gross that was and I wasn't buying deli from them (Setauket NY), he told him, "hey a customer just watched you." He could've cared less. Never again!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Tired of being asked every time I shop what type of improvements I would like to make to our home! Not to mention that the home improvement seems to specialize in marketing and aggressively upsells the most expensive repair possible and is a total RIPOFF. Once I made appointment with canvasser for our two front bay windows that were crooked. They don't make repairs but instead replace. So the quote for replacing both front bays and 6 windows all together came to $12K. My mother-in-law recently had all the windows in her house replaced for only $8K. We got a local window guy repair the sagging bays which realigned our original windows for $500. I'm seriously considering canceling my membership to avoid the hassle and browbeating. Last time wasted 1/2 hour trying to decline the service. It is not worth the minimal amount of savings in prices.

Original review: July 26, 2018

First week of June I ordered a sunglass over phone with BJ’s customer support. It was a business address where they needed to ship it instead of my home. As it was a surprise for my husband. They didn’t sent me any order confirmation, 3 days later called them for the email and tracking. June 13th on tracking showed, they couldn’t deliver the package at the address. USPS never left any note or anything. I called BJ’s customer care several times to know what’s going on with the order. July 5th I asked to cancel the order and refund. Waited two weeks and then called them on July 18th for the status of my order cancellation. And every time I start over. BJ’s customer service people just lie and don’t do their work properly.

I ordered with them, I paid the money and never received my item. Now they are sending me email saying, I have to give them the item back to get my refund. How can I give the item back, when I never received it!!! Customer care people can totally see that USPS never delivered the item. But they are not resolving the issue. They are just lying, that someone will call me and take care of it, they will send me email. But nothing yet. Again I called them today, and the girl's name Deanbra told me she is charging some sort of things with my return request. And will send me email. Yes, I heard the same story before. Nothing changed. Just going back and forth with the BJ’s customer care people, and telling my same old story to a new person every time I call. I’m just stuck with them with an order I never received. I don’t know what to do! Very disappointed at BJ’s service.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Terrible, nonexistent service. The staff ignores you, you can’t get any service at the deli (which really needs to be self serve if you are going to be ignored), staff just stands around and will not even acknowledge you, even when you are the only customer present. Management is never around; the line employees run the place and do whatever they want, which isn’t much. Never seen a store where employees can routinely ignore and be rude to customers. Also prices are high, selection is bad, and they have the temerity to charge a $55 annual fee. Well, this is one person who is not renewing this worthless membership. Other stores provide better service at the same, if not lower price. And I’m Not one to demand/expect much. Unspeakably awful.

Original review: July 23, 2018

In a positive note, the products at the deli are great. On the negative side, the assistants who work in the deli need some education on slicing, speed and attention to the customer. For example, there is usually one person and often a line waiting. Almost every person who slices is very slow. This happens at both the BJ's where I shop. The one in Brier Creek and the BJ's on Capital Blvd... Raleigh, NC. Sometimes, there is more than one person behind the counter, but the second person is attending to other duties while everyone waits.

There is sometimes conversation between the employees, or employee and customer that holds up the customers. A little friendliness goes a long way. When asking for a pound of one or more of the products, a pound and a quarter is not acceptable. On one occasion, I bought approximately 6 or 7 lbs of cold cuts/cheeses. Every item was 1/4 lb over. Customers in line are usually talking about the slow speed and long wait that is the norm... as am I. Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I’m extremely dissatisfied with the entire ordeal that I’m STILL going through with the Abingdon BJs Tire location. My husband blew a tire on 95 6/28, we’ve always had a great experience in the past so it was a no brainer to call our local BJs store and ask for help. First off, the associate who answered the phone on 6/28 at 530pm was extremely rude, lazy, and downright opposite of what we’ve experienced before. He stated that if we wanted tires, go online and set it all up because ‘I don't have time for you’. Then we stated our emergency situation and he asked why he should care. We hung up extremely frustrated, figured it wouldn't be hard to figure out online and hoped that we wouldn’t get that associate when we dropped off the car.

The second disappointment came when we tried to make an appointment and nothing was available until 7/5. Knowing we had to go a week with a donut on the car was unnerving while carting two young children along. Then the night before the appointment, I received an email from BJs confirming my appointment for 7/5. Okay, at this point I thought things were turning around and this professional courtesy was definitely setting a better tone. We have an appointment at 630 and show up at 615pm. The associate greets my husband and asks if he has an appointment, he replies yes, then proceeds to check our Appointment. He asks if we received an email that the tires were delivered. We advised we received the appointment confirmation, the receipt for the transaction, but nothing else.

The guy starts going on a rant that he doesn’t have time for this, they are short handed and everyone in the tire center is lazy, he gets no support from management and everyone is starting to have a poor experience. I ask what can we do to rectify the situation? Where are the tires? When do shipments come in? He proceeds to shrug and say he is just a mechanic and can’t help us. If the tires aren’t here, he can’t do anything for us. He refused to call any additional assistance whether his supervisor or the store manager, when we asked he said he is busy and can’t be bothered. We leave the tire store and walk to the store front and speak to the on duty operations manager who was very kind and did try to search through the entire delivery area in case it was delivered store side instead of tire side.

He took our names and phone numbers and said he would reach out the following day, offered a gas card for the wasted trip but we declined. Thinking it was just a slight misunderstanding and we would have our tires the next day. Friday comes and goes with no follow through from the tire store or the main store, Saturday we call in the morning and are told it’s the first time anyone is hearing about our problem but the only way to find the tires is to call the online support team because the store has nothing to do with the orders.

We were told we needed to call and they couldn’t assist in any way. So we call the online support center and were told that the tires are unable to be tracked but if we call back at 1pm on Sunday, there will be a manager on duty that can assist. I’m trying to be patient and wait calmly for someone to find these tires but my patience is growing thin. Not only is this a poor customer service event but you're increasingly placing my family in jeopardy with making us continue to use of a donut for a tire on an everyday use car with a max speed of 45mph. This is the worst experience I’ve ever had and will make sure that it’s a known experience until something is changed in the process.

Original review: June 5, 2018

BJ's store located in very convenient distance from my home. So we have memberships since they have opened. We do shopping with them regularly every two weeks. First I was disappointed when noticed dirty and in some kind broken elevators. Something wrong with their doors. They opened slowly and with ugly noises. Every time I’m very scared to use them. I want concentrate my point that nothing changed for today. Also a lot of frustrated shopping carts throughout the parking area. But when you come inside into the store (that area, where supposed shopping carts to be - is empty) and I have to come back and grab cart from the parking.

We have a little kid and he loves to pretend that he is driver, when we do shopping with special shopping cart designed with a toy car in a front. BJ's has only few of them. And every time we come that carts becomes more and more in horrible condition. Finally, instead to chance for a new ones they disappear completely. But all that complaints above are nothing in comparison our yesterday’s experience. As usual no shopping carts in the designated area.

Big unpleasant surprise was later. BJ's changed human cashier for a self service machine. We stayed in a line for 40 minutes, although we were second in a line!!! What I noticed wasted my time in a line??? That every customer asked for help during scanning products on every second thing. That’s why the line becomes longer and longer. Surely it was two or three lines with a real cashier, but it is not enough for that amount of customers. BJ's corporate wants to save money not paying salaries for cashiers, but it is no good for us, customers. I am thinking to stop shopping in BJ's if they doesn’t resolve that issue.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I found the overall savings extraordinary. But to get that saving I spent an extreme amount of time going thru coupon booklet so I sometimes don’t go there just for that reason. But if you have the time it’s fantastic.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Their merchandise is easy to find and priced well. They take coupons which unlike some other stores allows for additional savings. Customer service is very good as well and everyone is very helpful and friendly. I’m very happy with my experience at BJ’s.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I will never do business with BJ's Wholesale Club Tire Center again. First, they never answer the phone during regular business hours. They are always too busy to take walk-in service, and they work on an appointment system that is often a week or more backlogged, but, because they don't answer the phone, you must go there, make an appointment, then come back to have the work done. Very frustrating waste of time. Also, I was required to pre-pay for tires they didn't even have in inventory, and for which they couldn't provide a definitive ETA.

I had a 3-month-old tire replaced under warranty a few months ago. I dropped the wheel off and was told to come back to pick it up at a specific time. When I returned, they hadn't start the work yet. Rather than apologize, the tech behind the counter had an extremely confrontational and condescending attitude. After talking to the store manager, he agreed to "expedite" my replacement... the next day. When I arrived the next day they had replaced my tire with one that had a COMPLETELY different tread pattern, claiming that it was "approved" by the manufacturer as an equivalent tire. Note that this is a front tire, and that two substantially different tread patterns affect handling. I looked it up later and found that it was a substantially cheaper tire. Fed up with their incompetence, indifference and unprofessional behavior, I chose not to continue arguing and told them to put it on my truck.

A week later I lowered my tailgate and found that they had put the spare in the bed of my truck rather than re-mount it underneath where it belongs. I had a similar terrible experience with my wife's tires a few months before. In the future I'll chose to pay more to do business with a company who employees techs who know what they're doing, and who actually take some pride in what they do.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My family purchased a Vizio 39" tv on 4/3/18. It was for $199.99. I come to find out Walmart had the same exact tv identical model for an everyday price of $179.99. My family called BJ's and asked them if they priced matched. They were very rude and arrogant. They said, “No.” I called the store and asked them who do they think they are speaking to with that type of behavior. I demanded a supervisor and I explained everything. She kept on trying to tell me that was a sale price at Walmart. I told her it was an everyday price and confirmed it with Walmart and still on the phone she had an attitude. Then she said, “I will check with my general manager. He'll call you tomorrow 4/4/18 at 2:00pm.” He never called.

I called the store. The general manager did not want to get on the phone. The assistant manager said to me, “We will not price match.” Mind you BJ's is a wholesale club. In my opinion they are deceiving customers. I will never buy an appliance again there. The is my first year of membership. Now they refuse to give me my membership money back. I will never buy there again. It’s a rip off, scamming people. Good luck! I brought back the tv and got my money back! Beware people. Compare prices. They'll rip you off with no shame. Real professional. I'm not going to support them again.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Purchased an LG dryer online on January 31st. The dryer was delivered and installed on February 22, when I attempted to use it the next day it kept tripping the breaker. Had the breaker looked at, no problem. The problem was the cord was broken while being installed. Called and they sent someone out from the installation company on 3/17 and he confirmed that not only was cord improperly installed but there was a plate that was broken. He took pictures and sent them back to company. Have called BJ's numerous times and they say that the new dryer has to come from LG and they haven't heard from them. So here it is the beginning of April and I still have no dryer but I had to pay my credit card bill so they have their money. I will NEVER again purchase anything major at BJ's.

Original review: March 22, 2018

On 2/19 I purchased an item online described with a specific product model #. Item was part of a kit consisting of a leaf blower, weed trimmer, and 2 batteries. Item shipped late and finally arrived 03/02. Well something arrived. They shipped wrong item... Different part # consisting of trimmer and DIFFERENT, inferior leaf blower and only one (smaller) battery. I immediately contact phone CS and they said they made a mistake and listed and sold me the wrong item - and that the item that arrived WAS the correct item. I was offered $25 credit to keep it. HA! Blower is inferior and missing battery had a replacement value of $60. NO THANKS! I was emailed a UPS return label with RMA. I printed it out and it went in mail next day.

Item was large and return shipping was VERY slow, but on 3/12 item was signed for and received. BJ's stated within 2 business days after return was received I should have my refund. On 3/14 I received email asking why I hadn't shipped the return back yet. On 3/15 I contacted phone customer service and told them my story and asked why I still had no refund. I was assured by end of 3/19 I would be refunded. It's 3/22 and today I received another email requesting my return to be shipped - and I still have no refund. This is beginning to sound like a charge-back will be necessary. I am very thankful UPS tracking is much more reliable than BJ's. I am just wondering how are they still in business?

Original review: March 18, 2018

I'm completely dissatisfied with a former club I belonged to. BJ's Wholesale Club is a joke that falsely advertises to their customers. I went in to buy a mattress and box spring set advertised with a manufacturer coupon for 100 dollars off... Still a $299 purchase. I started in Riverhead where they searched the store and found no box spring to sell with the mattress. Then I tried Bellport who also had no box spring for the mattress. They tell me they will be getting a shipment of mattress one month then box springs the next. Who wants to wait 2 months to get a mattress and box spring to sleep on when they advertise the SET?

Then I call corporate to see if they can keep a customer and the only thing they could do was look up locations that have the set upstate New York and tell me it's the club's fault when the club blames corporate. Needless to say I have terminated my membership and will deal with a competitor that will appreciate my business as a customer. If you have a BJs membership I recommend you open your eyes to what they are doing to you and if you don't like the way they are treating you as a customer CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP. They do not value their customers here.

Original review: March 6, 2018

We had been members of BJ's Wholesale Club in Sarasota, FL, since 2007. Until recently our relationship had always been good. The staff was friendly and the prices were decent. Returns were easily handled. Our friendly relationship with BJ's began to deteriorate in June, 2017. We discovered BJ's own store-branded “Berkley & Jensen” alkaline batteries in our television remote control had leaked or exploded and caused a deep, permanent acid burn in top of our media center. We immediately contacted the store manager. At his request, we emailed him a statement explaining exactly what happened, along with photos of the damage and batteries, and a scan of the sales receipt for our media center. In addition, we included a photo of even more B&J batteries that we subsequently found were leaking inside their original packaging. All the batteries were well within their marked shelf life, and all had been properly used and stored.

BJ's never bothered to contact us again. Instead, we were contacted by a third-party negotiator, Sedgwick Claims Management in Pennsylvania. We again emailed all the details, plus a $600 repair estimate. Sedgwick, however, seemed to have only one job: to get rid of us. Instead of dealing with the issue directly, Sedgwick told us to contact the battery manufacturer in China—despite that BJ's store-branded batteries did not list a manufacturer. As we discovered in our legal research, all parties—retailer, shipper, manufacturer—have potential liability regarding defective products. But BJ's and Sedgwick were not interested in any of that.

We emailed Zhongyin Ningbo Battery & Electrical Appliance Co in China. They requested, once again, all the information on the incident, which we sent. Plus they wanted the actual leaking/exploded batteries shipped to them for “examination”. The shipping company told us what we already expected: that hazardous materials such as this cannot be shipped. After explaining that to Ningbo, they eventually offered us $100 for our troubles. We countered their offer and have heard nothing from them since.

So there you have it: BJ's does not stand by their products. More and more of the products sold at BJ's carry their own store brand, and you may have no idea what company actually makes the product. We also found, too late for us, that BJ's batteries have a history of being defective. In addition, BJ's membership agreement contains an arbitration clause that severely limits a customer's ability to recover damages for defective products that cause damage. Nice. Bottom line, If you are looking to join a wholesale club, check out their membership agreement and any complaints from members.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Kearny, NJ - this particular BJ's location customer service and price gagging is so bad lots people are NOT renewing their membership. Therefore I am doing the same. Besides that store doesn't carry even enough merchandise. Return and exchange policy and handling customer credit and debit card differ from other BJ's. So I will urge all local BJ's customer to not go back to this place.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I purchased tires with road hazard and my membership expired. They are now charging me a 20% surcharge for the road hazard repair. I spoke to a manager and she said there was nothing she could do about it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This review is only for the optical department because no major problems in other departments. I tried to take advantage of what they called a half price offer for a pair of glasses. I ended up paying over $400 for all the specifics of the kind I got and that included the half price and two other discounts! When I called another Warehouse Club to compare all the specifics of the kind of glasses I got I was quoted a price of about $50 less and that is their regular price! The other problem at my local BJ's Optical department is that one person there acts like a robot! So they do not even respond appropriately when you talk to them. Thus I would say steer clear of BJ's Optical because they are not a discount place and also they charge higher prices for comparable eyeglass frames than the other store I mentioned!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The last two times I was at BJ's I noticed the prices were getting higher and higher. Secondly they hold $100.00 back from my credit card for 18.00 bucks worth of gas. I see no reason to continue with them so back to Costco for me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Made 4 purchases in 2 days with 2 different credit cards and every single purchase was cancelled. One of the purchases was even done through the phone when I called them, and still was cancelled. Reached out online, and they were of not help blaming everything on my credit cards when I have used both of them in multiple occasions in those 2 days for purchases I made online and in person without issue. This is the worst experience I have ever had trying to make a purchase online. I even went ahead and created this account just so I could voice my frustration. Do not waste your time trying to make a purchase online from BJ'S. You will end up with pending purchases and wasting your time. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

BJ's Eyeglass Center, Monroe, NY - I bought eyeglasses from them on 6/24/17 for $494.44 and by October the lenses were completely scratched. I took them back on October 30th and was charged an additional $75. 2 weeks later the frames broke. In November I went to take them back and the eyeglass section was closed even though the Store was open. I live 45mins away and not in Monroe very often. Next time I was in the area was the beginning of December and the guy told me that there would be another charge and also said to me that the lenses were scratched!

Why should I have to pay more when I have already paid $569 and your product is flawed. Got nowhere with this guy. What it comes down to is if I want them fixed, I have to pay. I don't think I am being unreasonable asking them to fix my glasses free of charge since it's not my fault. They were not dropped, stepped on or abused in any matter. I had them on and they just came apart. Looking for some help to remedy this matter.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have bought celery that was rotten, still see same rotten bunches on the shelves weeks later. Just bought box of clementines... most rotten two days later. The store in Derby, CT needs to be attended to. I will stop shopping there if this continues. Plus my review on other sites will not be good. Do I continue to bring back rotten produce... that is more hassle than it’s worth, since I do not live nearby.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Ordered heroes for my company holiday party. Three 3ft heroes. One Italian, one American, one mixed. The receipt was very clear as to what was ordered. This was ordered at the Bellport store. Get there around 530pm to pick up the heroes for the party that was starting at 7pm. Only one 3ft hero was made. I then asked the very rude lady behind the counter "what am I suppose to do now?" Her response was "well I guess you are only leaving with one hero". Well she guessed wrong because I left with nothing. Left the hero on the counter walked out and never will return again. I then called customer service and the lady on the phone was more interested in what my member id number was than what I was calling to complain about. Thank God I was able to get food from somewhere else in such short notice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I spoke to the operation manager Don ** about his tire technicians damaged my lug and cost me $180.60 cents to repair and I came back to get the tired changed over to a snow tire. Big mistake, the tire technician damaged another lug by cross threading the lug nut. I told Manager Don ** I want tone reimbursed for $180.60 cents for the damage of the first lug and pay for the replacement of the second damaged lug. Don ** replied, "you overpaid for that repair because it a $30.00 dollar repair." I asked Manager Don ** where I could get a lug repair for $30.00 dollars? His reply, “Well when I do it myself at home it only cost me $30.00 dollars.” Don ** raised his voice to level of shouting when I told him to stop yelling.

He wanted me to sign a work order stating I had a damaged lug and bolt previously to coming into the tire shop. I refused to sign anything. Don ** continued to rant on about the possibilities of my driving habits damaging the lugs or me rotating my tires and wearing the lugs down. This guy, Don ** was unprofessional and irrational. I called BJ's Corporate Office to report Don **.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Bought a Shark rotator professional vacuum cleaner for 129 dollars on Black Friday (11/23/17). I was supposed to receive it on 11/28/17. As of today (12/11/17), I still haven't received it and BJ's has made no attempt to get this resolved with their shipping service UPS. They took my money from the account which I saved just for this vacuum from months ago. Both UPS & BJ's have been giving me the run around from the get go. Save your money people and DO NOT SHOP ONLINE AT BJ's. They DO NOT care about your money or your time.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information