2.75/5

288 BJ's Wholesale Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been a long-time member of BJ’s and like their warehouse stores. HOWEVER, over the years I have tried to make several purchases from BJs.com and every year and every order has been a complete disaster. 1st: None of estimated delivery dates of the items on-line are an indication of the actual delivery date. In my experience, each item took 35 to 45 days longer than stated. 2nd: The website does not state if the item is in stock or not. So the delivery date is completely misleading. In my experience, it took over two weeks for an email to come to tell me that the item is backordered. They should get a computer to help them with inventory.

3rd: The order status web pages are a mess with conflicting information. The page listing your orders correctly shows what you ordered and the date you ordered it on…. But weirdly the date shown is in day-month-year format. If you click on order status, the order date format changes to month-day-year format AND is completely wrong… and it changes two to three times a week! So it is not the order date, who knows what it is?

4th: The “Estimated Delivery” date changes 3 days after the item was supposed to be delivered to be the same day the following week…. Which they consistently miss in a forever repeating loop. 5th: Chatting online to a rep just tells you what you read on line. With my last order, 3 days after their 2nd missed delivery date, they told me that the item was shipping in a couple of days only to receive an email the following day that the item is on back-order and will not ship for another 30 days…. Which leads me to 6th: NEITHER my online order status NOR the item page has been updated to say the item is on backorder. As a matter of fact, the item page says if you order now, it will be delivered in 4 business days…. Really?!

Original review: March 30, 2019

5 yrs scooter's worked fine. Last yr and half dead batt or waiting same answer 6 m. Not our prob. They're old machines. I will now be driving 1hr and a 1/2 to Costco where I have never had to wait more than 5 min for a fully charged newer machine. Machines are kept in back and on busy holidays if none are by door they bring them from back.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Please don’t believe you will get your money back if you cancel your membership after a few months. I had to cancel my membership because I have cancer and moved to Columbus so I can receive treatment at The James at OSU. There are no BJ's near me but I kept receiving the catalogs in my husband's name? When I called customer service, the agent was rude and couldn’t find record of me calling previously. Then I was told my membership cancelled itself because I wasn’t using it and I would not be getting my money back. I was contacted by another person but they only address my husband when the money came out of my bank account. Very disrespectful.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I used to be a member of BJ’s. I went in with my young nephew, 6 years old at the time last year. The man behind the deli counter screamed trying to scare my nephew when he was looking at the different meats and cheeses in the case. My nephew backed up frightened. The deli man started hilariously laughing at the young child’s reaction. My nephew was embarrassed and didn’t understand why someone that worked there would try to frighten him and laugh.

Just went in tonight to grab something for a work party tomorrow. Had permission to use my coworker's card, plus my mother has a free trial anyways and our licenses are at the same address. I simply and kindly asked the redhead woman behind the counter for a coupon book... She asked me for my member card and my license to get a coupon book??? Really? Then told me since my mom just has a free trial currently I cannot get a coupon book and refused to give me one...like seriously? She was so rude... Why give me the third degree requesting my license over a coupon book?!!! I will never ever step foot in the Waterford BJ’s again. Shame on your staff!!! Horrible customer service.

Original review: March 12, 2019

For sure this store looks like it’s poorly run. Deli department is dirty, unsanitary and folks behind the counter are rude. Regardless of the time of day, the slicers are filthy. The folks behind the counter use gloves but are touching everything, never changing their gloves. The meat and cheeses are put down right on the counter that has crumbs from everything that they’ve cut previously.

The associates talk to each other but when it comes time to speak to customers they show no customer service training. I went to the store this past Saturday and shredded the card when I got home. The checkout had one register opened and we waited a long time. This is why I keep my Costco card. Far drive but you can’t beat their dedication to a truly good, CLEAN customer service experience. Don’t go to the Raleigh, NC location at the 540 interstate on Capital Blvd. Just a nasty store all around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am completely disappointed in BJ's customer service! I went to BJ's.com yesterday looking for tires for my truck and saw their deal for Nexen 235-75 R15 tires for 75.99 ea after 100.00 off the entire set when you purchase the set of 4 online. I tried to purchase online but the site kept erroring out. I contacted BJ's customer service who stated that there was an issue with the site and they would notify their IT department and to try the purchase today. I went to the site to complete the purchase but the price has increased by 25.00 per tire today. After contacting customer service via online chat and phone call they state they will not honor the price/offer even though I have a printout clearly showing the offer. Fourteen-year paying member here and LIVID!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Basically no one cares, no recourse. Perhaps headquarters. Phone calls and emails waste of time. The credit card bank they partner with is horrible. Security highly questionable and BJ's customer service simply says, "Oh we're not affiliated with them, we can't do anything or look into problems." I have excellent credit and own a business. I can't imagine treating my customers the way BJ's does. Good luck, Walmart is much better to deal with.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I give BJ’s a 5 star because I bought an Acer laptop from them in which broke around 2 1/2 months later. Acer gave me the runaround, then made up a story about the repair and wanted me to pay for it even while I had warranty. Acer honestly was the worst company I ever dealt with and I asked BJ's for assistance. They said it was out of the return window but they would do me a one time courtesy to return it for store credit which was ideal. Since Acer would not "partially repair" and kept haggling me to pay BJ's saved me money which I upgraded laptops and purchase a store warranty.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I am in need of a new roof and was getting estimates for replacement of my current roof. I thought going through BJ's was a safe idea to get a good roof at a reasonable price. I received a call from Power Home Remodeling and we set up a meeting to go over their offer. After 6 hours of presentation, I decided to go with the roof. I was told that the lifetime warranty (labor and material) was transferrable. I asked for the written warranty and was told that I would receive it upon installation. After the salespeople left, I decided to check the paperwork for warranty information and lo and behold it states clearly that labor is not warrantied (most of the cost is in labor). I immediately canceled the installation. DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY AND BJ'S MUST VET THEIR SUPPLIERS BEFORE OFFERING SERVICES.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I can live with BJ's price scamming, that's on the consumer to know unit volume pricing. But a popup disclaimer at checkout, with a gigantic OK button, that allows BJ's to auto renew membership on your credit card AND the "I Accept" checkbox is DEFAULT ON!!! YES DEFAULT ON!!! Borderline ILLEGAL! BJ's offers large company's bulk discount on membership, Great way to circumvent!!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Membership price goes up again. Now $55/year. Constant badgering on the sales floor from people trying to upsell you or shove food samples at you, or DirecTV, or aluminum siding, or magic pillows and other crap. Best parking spots going to 'families with infants' and 'propane tank refills', 8 spots which are almost always empty because no one uses them. Big price increases on the products I buy, despite membership price going up also. Self checkout registers being relegated to some stupid 'phone app only' use, again, which I never see used. So instead of being able to use those, we wait in line. Worst of all, I renewed last year on Mar 16, get in line today thinking I had 22 weeks left, am charged an add'l 20% surcharge for having 'an expired membership'. I was told it didn't matter when I renewed my membership expired before that or some BS. I'll never go back into a BJ's.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The services I received from customer service at BJ’s were above and beyond horrible. I waited online 25 minutes to purchase a pair of headphones. Once paid I went to pickup headphones from cage. Being the only one there I felt I would be in and out. 5 minutes after waiting and no one showed I went politely to the customer services desk in which they called for someone to come over and assist me. 10 minutes go by. No help. I once again asked for assistance and another call was place. 5 minutes later I asked again in which a call was place however; this time an female visibly upset came over and stated, "What that ** can't wait." I immediately ask for a refund and her name in which she stated with attitude Deborah #**. I told her I was going to make a complaint on her. The next day when I went to a different BJ's I found that my card was suspended.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Prior to purchasing this item on 12 Dec 18, I ensured that I check the return policy to be certain that it, Snow Joe Ultra 18" 15-Amp Electric Snow Thrower with Light - Blue (Item: 2045550 Model: SJ623E), was an item that I could return to the club. There was nothing listed in the return policy, the item description or once the order was completed that this item could not be returned to the club. This item is unopened/unused and I decided to return it as I did not need it. However, when I attempted to return it to the club, the shipping document that was attached to the item stated that it had to be returned to BJ's online and that it required an return authorization (RA). None of this was specified online for this item. Had that been specified, I never would have purchased it from BJ's, I would have purchased it from somewhere else.

After several calls to customer service and being rerouted through the voice system, the automatic voice system is annoyingly inefficient, and left on hold indefinitely. I finally spoke with a supervisor, Tracy, who told me that the item was non-refundable. She stated that it is posted online. That it is non-refundable when that is not the case; she could not specify exactly where it was posted, she just kept saying that it was posted. Very frustrating experience! She also stated that she would have to contact the vendor to see if it would accept the return and that she would contact me herself.

What??? Where is any of this in the return policy that is advertised online? I informed her that one way or another, I will get my money back even if it means that I have to dispute this charge with my creditor. After which, I discovered that my membership was revoked when I attempted to make a purchase when I have paid for a membership through May and have been a member for years, ever since the club came to Hampton Roads, VA.

BJ's return policy clearly states, "BJ's selects the highest quality merchandise for our Members and stands behind the products we sell. If you are not completely satisfied with a purchase made online or in-Club BJ's will give you a refund or exchange within the guidelines below." This item falls within those guidelines where it should not only be returnable, but they should be accepted by the club. I do not want this item. It is not a bulk item, it is an electrical item, not gas; there is no oil. It is less than 90 days and unused. There is no valid reason for BJ's to refuse this return. BJ's is not honoring its return policy.

This is a prime example of a 'bait and switch' and after reading so many of the other complaints by consumers, BJ's is clearly making a statement that it does not value its patrons. By the way, Tracy never did follow up with me either. :-( That was a waste of 2 hours of my valuable time in that club. Absolutely disgraceful service!

Consumers need to do more than complain. Spread the word and discourage others from spending their money at "bad businesses". Stop patronizing businesses that disrespect you as a consumer providing poor customer service, dishonoring their written policies, etc. I will soon forget that BJ's even exists and hope that other consumers show BJ's that their behavior is unacceptable by canceling/discontinuing their membership and shopping elsewhere affecting BJ's profits. Apparently, that is the only way to get the attention of a business.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

They put out coupon books, but don't have the items, you need to go to caring amounts of stores to find all coupon items. They figure once you're in the store you will buy non coupon items, their prices are higher than supermarkets on many non coupon items. They all seem to be the same. Was a member of Costco. Same thing there.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

BJ's may possibly offer quality services on many goods to its members, but it fails miserably with the strategy in practice in the optical department. Years ago, the optical department would present the customer the options available with price once a frame and lens were selected to enable the consumer to make an informed decision. However, in the last five years or so, this practice has disappeared to the detriment of the consumer. Nowadays, the salesperson will quote one price with the most expensive options. To add insult to injury, the salesperson will also include a $20.00 insurance premium without ever informing you or requesting your consent. Should a mishap occur, this insurance, by the way, does not even cover 100% of the glasses, and, you will be responsible for additional copay under the terms of the policy.

Should you decide to ask for a detailed copy of the charges, the responses generally are "we will give it to you when you pick up your glasses" or "the printer is down" or at best, you will receive a faded and barely legible printout. Most people trust BJ's to operate along the line of a reputable company. But, BJ's optical department is not. It is taking advantage of their trust and operating more along the line of unscrupulous car dealerships. So, in effect, BJ's scammed me out of $20.00 when I am signing my credit card charges. $20.00 is not exactly a fortune, but soon add up to it when you consider all the glasses sold across all the BJ's stores. Is the practice of charging for a service that is not requested even legal?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I contacted BJ's regarding a coupon error through their customer service email. After 3 emails it became apparent that $22 is more important to BJ's than customer satisfaction, such a shame. Then I received a survey about my experience which I completed and submitted. The survey said that I would be contacted within 48 hours, hmmm I thought, maybe they do care. Nope, they never contacted me.

So, today I called, was put on hold, you know, "higher than normal call volume" so I left my number to call back. They actually did call back but after explaining my issue the gentleman said he would put me through to a supervisor and, guess what, you got it... I was put back into the phone queue! So, I left my number again and they did call back again. This time a very nice woman listened to everything, put me on hold so she could speak with her supervisor and came back and offered me a $15 gift card. I told her that was no good, she tried again, but said that was all she could offer me. So, long story short for $7 BJ's lost a customer, I cancelled my membership. Stupidest company ever!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

They automatically renewed my membership card on 1/2/19 and I went to the store the same day to cancel it. I was told that their system was down and advised to call and my money would be back the same day. Today marks the 29th day and I am yet to receive my refunds. I have called them to let them know that I have a new debit card and I needed them to update it so they could be able to refund my money back efficiently and the lady acted like she knows it all stating that my bank will automatically renew it.

I have been calling and eventually called a lady this Friday who told me that someone from a different department would call me in 2 days so they can take my new card information, I have heard nothing. These people are nothing but a junk of thieves. You are worth more than 55$ dollars so give me my little change. It means nothing to you I guess but it’s something for me. They really suck poor customer service. A whole month of runarounds and I still don’t have any hope.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

So I applied for their Mastercard over a year ago and never received it. I started getting phone calls that I owed $37 for a yearly fee. I told the guy yesterday that I never received the card so I was not going to pay a fee for a card I never received and I wanted it cancelled. He said, "No problem," and forwarded the call to someone that cancelled the card. Now this morning I received a call saying I owed $84 for fees on the card. The girl would not let me speak as I tried to explain I never received the card and had spoke to someone yesterday. She said, "You have to pay it!!!" Needless to say I hung up. This is a scam on the part of BJ's.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The services I received from customer service at BJ’s were above and beyond horrible. I purchased a TV from their BJ's site in December of 2018 and it was not scheduled to be delivered until January 4, 2019. When the TV was delivered the screen was severely cracked. I refused the TV and called BJ's wholesale for a replacement per the delivery company instructions. When I called BJ's customer service the first time they stated that I would have to wait for them to receive the TV back from the delivery company before they could refund me my money. I asked the lady to contact the delivery company to verify that they had the TV. She did and they advised her that the TV was broken and they will be returning it back to BJ's wholesale.

I advised them that I just wanted another TV not my money back. Customer service proceeded to tell me that they don't replace broken or damaged items. They just refund the member their money back and they purchase another one. I inquired when they may receive the TV back and I was advised January 7 or 8. Which was Monday or Tuesday. I contacted them Tuesday and they said that they have not received the TV back yet. I inquired about what else could be done so that I can get another TV. I asked could they just apply the money to the new TV I would like to purchase and they said no. I was advised that they are not set up to do business that way. I was then advised that once I return the TV then they can give me another one.

I advised the representative that I did not have the TV. I sent it back with the delivery company because it was cracked. She stated that I was supposed to take the TV and return it to my local store myself. I made her aware that I was never told that not to mention I was not going to sign for a broken TV. She then went on to say I can buy another TV while I wait for my return to go through. I advised her that no one just has 618 lying around to spend again and have 1236 dollars of my money held up. She stated there was nothing else she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor and no one was available. She had put in for a callback. No one called me back. So over the next 7 business days I would be calling BJ's to get this matter resolved.

I had requested to more callbacks in that time and no supervisor called me back. I filed a complaint with the company and nothing was done about it. I felt that I was just another membership holder and meant nothing to them but a number even though I spend hundreds of dollars almost thousands a year at my local BJ's store. This is the worst customer service I have ever received. Then on January 16, 2019 I found out that BJ's didn't not start the return process for my broken TV with the delivery company until January 10. Which was 6 days after my first call in to report the issue. I then was advised that the TV should be deliver January 16 or 17 to their warehouse. When I asked about getting the TV at the original price with everything that came with it (Additional 1 year warranty from BJ's free of charge, and white glove delivery service) the young lady stated that they would have to put in a request to see if that was possible.

She then advised me that the TV I purchased previously that was delivered damaged is now out of stock and I can’t purchase it. I was beyond upset. I was taken through days of back and forth. Not being called back and mixed information to be told I cannot even repurchase the TV I original purchased. This is beyond bad customer service and a complete disrespect to me as a person. No one should ever have to go through this and I believe that they have to be required to do better and be held to a standard when it comes to helping a customer and providing a service they are being paid for.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I decided to try BJ's wholesale warehouse... Not a good idea. Do yourself a favor and pick one of the other chains. They have bulk food like Honest chocolate milk and granola bars that all expire in a week. Are you gonna pay full price for bulk packaged milk of granola bars that expire in a week? Heck no. You can't scarf 48 granola bars in that time frame. This is just one example of this place's food selection. The prices aren't really that good either... Go somewhere else. I'm trying to cancel my membership and get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I received an offer for the BJ's visa at store through Comenity Bank. They approved me for a 25,000 credit line. I received the card 9 days later right after Christmas around 1/4/19. I activated the card and on 1/5/19 it shows as a new open account on Credit Karma. 1/11/19 I am at Home Depot marking a 27.00 purchase and it gets declined twice. I’m like impossible, it a new account and zero balance. I get in the car and call Comenity Bank. I’m told on the phone, "I’m sorry. A letter went out today and your account was closed for too many inquiries."

My credit is FLAWLESS and zero debt. 800 FICO score with zero debt and 3 digit salary. What a serious insult especially at a store to be declined. You miss a payment they're blowing up your phone but they close your account with someone that has impeccable credit with zero debt and 800 FICO and they don’t even have decency to call to tell you!!! I been self employed for 32 years and I urge anyone with good credit STAY AWAY FROM Comenity Bank for any credit. The worse insulting bank in the world to do business with. I lost nothing. The bank lost someone with awesome credit and a 800 FICO. Their loss! Please stay away from them. Don’t listen to me. Google their reviews. I wish I did in the beginning because if I did I wouldn’t of applied with a lousy bank like this. Their reviews will soon enough put them out of business!!! I hope it happens. My advice is stay with the well-known banks only!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Order a dishwasher through BJ, nightmare. They told me wrong schedule, waited at home for an half day, never said Sorry, then rescheduled. Couple of weeks later, it arrived but it was broken one. Angry, but re-re-scheduled, finally got it. They promised to send a $10.00 gift card for compensation. It never be received. Very bad experience with them!!! Advice: Never do house appliance purchase from them!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

North Brunswick, NJ - Worst experience after having many years of BJ's membership. Customer service is bad and also tire never delivered to store for installation. Response from customer support bad and calling my order.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

On Saturday 01/05/19 around 7 pm my husband and I went to the BJ's Wholesale located at 162nd and Kendall Drive in Miami, FL. After waiting 15 minutes for the cashier to finish with her current customer, the couple in front of me were up and paying when the first customer came back, gave the cashier a receipt and the cashier and the floating cashier had to input information, at which I was ready to burst so my husband asked "are you gonna take long 'cause I'll just change my stuff over to aisle 7." She said no and continued with the lady. When she was done the lady turned around and said to the cashier "THANK YOU" to which I replied "NO, thank me" and the cashier whipped her head around wagged her finger at me while rolling her eyes and said that transaction took less than a minute and I said meanwhile, "I have been standing here 15 minutes and don't you roll your eyes and wag your finger at me."

Her supervisor came over, asked her what had happened and she ushered her out of the lane to which I said "YES listen to your supervisor." This lady is crazy and will be gone in a minute. As my groceries were being rung up by floating cashier, they huddled at that cashier desk and kept looking at me. Very unprofessional, cashier should have asked next person in line (me) if it would be ok to do whatever she needed to do and supervisor needs serious management skills, should have come over and apologized for her cashier's actions even if she thought she was right. No common courtesy, no respect and funny part is that you have to pay to get into this place!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This weekend it was more difficult to find a cart which was barely clean. The best I could find had dirt and bird feces. BJ, you have workers who bring in and out the shopping carts throughout the day and store them at night - please include in their responsibilities washing down and disinfecting the carts.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I just moved to the area in the summer. I had good experiences at the Bangor Maine location, where we purchased four all season tires in the spring of 2014. At the time we were told our snow tires could be changed over each season at no charge even though they were purchased elsewhere. When I showed the clerk the receipts he became verbally aggressive. I asked to see a manager. The manager honored the previous deal, but Kyle continued his abusive behavior. This was the third such experience with him. Nothing has been done with him.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased A TV online to be picked up at their Millsboro location the same day. I used the PayPal option as payment for the item online. When I arrived at the store the item was ready but they could not print out the invoice as they said they do not deal with PayPal in store. I was told to use another credit card to complete the purchase and I was guaranteed I would not be double billed. When I arrived home, I checked both credit cards and found out they had billed both PayPal and my Visa card. According to BJ's they could do nothing about it because they “don’t use PayPal in the store”. So now I have One TV and two bills for the one item. Caution never ever use PayPal online with BJ’s. They will rip you off.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Horrible customer service!! Membership is NOT worth the verbal abuse given by their customer service department. They don't own up to their mistakes and ignore you if you email them. I was told one thing via email, printed it and brought it into the club where they refused to stand behind their word, instead of apologizing or trying to make it right they tell you off and basically let you know they don't care if you don't want to be a customer of theirs. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

On December 8 I was racial profile by a employee by the name of Alisha. She followed me around the store harassing me. Not only that she said I was accompanied with a homeless man - that wasn't true - She was very disrespectful after to speak with supervisor Nate. He was disrespectful as well.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased an outdoor couch for $700 and called to cancel the order within 10 min as I found it for $100 less. Customer Service said they could not cancel the order. I needed to refuse delivery when it arrived. I refused delivery and called to process the refund. BJ's said the outdoor couch was sent back to the manufacturer so they could not process the refund. It's been 3 weeks. BJ's Customer Service is not responding to any of my emails or phone calls. I am canceling my membership which I have had for 15 years. Looking at all the negative reviews I can tell this company does not care about the customer.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information