BJ's Wholesale Club

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Ordered a copper gazebo that cost $ 2600.00. It was part of a landscaping project. I was out of town when the landscape company unpackaged and installed the gazebo including anchoring it the slab. Came home to find a B L A C K GAZEBO. Not what I ordered, not what I paid for! Customer services response to my problem was, we will forward it to the supplier to see if they will do anything. I dealt with BJ's, not their supplier. It would appear I am out the 2500 cost and the 500 to have it put up all thanks to BJ's. Please don't deal with this company. Did not send what I ordered or paid for! Fraud!

Got a deal with 2 pairs of glasses. You get what you pay for. They were progressives. The span is not great. Very blurry in spots. My contacts work much better. Bottom line is you have to be careful on getting buys. Especially with glasses. Won't go back.

20 Year member, wife out of town with card. Had temp card. Went to customer service talked to Kyle. Kyle to stated that I could not use card, get coupon book or shop there. Spoke to manager Mellisa. She stated that it was policy, "People try to steal ID's". I had three forms of ID. Mellisa threw temp card in trash and stated, "Good Luck". With no luck needed, I drove a mile away to Sam's Club. They can now use the over 8 thousand dollars a year we have spent at BJ's. Good luck trying to contact BJ's corporate. They hide the CEO's contact info. Class act. Stuff was cheaper at Sam's! Mellisa and Kyle, if you read this, thanks, I needed a change anyway. Good luck losers.

Husband purchased glasses at BJ's. Frames were terrible. Went back, got new frame, but then the top of one lens developed two cracks. Returned the glasses to BJ's who returned them to the maker. After waiting over two week we were informed that the crack in the lens was not severe enough to replace the lens??? Would NEVER recommend purchasing anything optical at BJ's, our eyes are too precious.

Went to BJ's to the tire shop. Talk with the manager about choices of tire for my car. Review my choices. I choose the tire, make an appointment, came to my appointment, wasted over two hours in the wrong tire been installed in my car. First they told me that I don't manufacture the tire anymore. After a while they told me that the tires are wrong for my car. In the meantime I wish that close to three hours and got nowhere. I request my old tire back on the car and left. Not recommend a place to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

I am upset that I spent 40 minutes waiting at the "Customer Service" desk and never received my order. I received an email saying that my order was ready. Went to pick it up and it never made it to the front of the store. This is not the first time that I have had issues with this service, but it's the last! I still don't know what happened to my order and no-one seemed to care!

When I went into BJ's I was planning on purchasing a GoPro 4. They were sold out online and just about every location. But our customer service man had offered to drive to the 2 hour away location and bring back the GoPro since he was going there anyway. I didn't expect him to go the extra mile and help us out. He called the location and took my information to let me know in a few days when he had brought back the GoPro. He then explained it was no problem since he understood that that was what customer service was all about.

Today I had a very bad shopping experience at BJ's and I was very disappointed. Looking at this receipt, there were a total of 4 "CPN-MOBIL 1" that were listed on there, which is bottles of motor oil. However, in fact I only bought 3 of them and I know because I only needed 3. Therefore after going through the receipt, I proceeded to go back and check if a mistake were made. However, the workers there were very confident that I bought 4 and they said they even checked the security camera. I asked if they wanted to see the only 3 bottles that I bought and they said "no, that's fine". However I also asked if I could look at the security camera to make sure and they said I was not allowed to. I was very disappointed and upset. I am writing this hoping that nobody else have to experience this ever again.

I returned an food item that I bought a few days earlier. I did not notice the expiration date had passed. I returned it to BJ's and did not have my receipt. I expected a refund, however I received a store credit. I asked why and was told it was store policy. I know that Costco is able to locate your purchase from your membership card and refund the return without a receipt. Not sure why BJ's policies are still in the 1980's. I know where I will be shopping going forward...

Bought a few tv's that had a amazing sale price online, 10 mins later I get a canceled email and I called customer service at corporate office in mass and she asked if something was wrong with me because I bought a tv for 16 dollars. Problem is if it my mistake I would be expected to pay for it, but their mistake we pay as customers. She also started to get louder as I became more collected, she wanted me to engage in a screaming match so she could disconnect the call and egged me on to do so.

I had asked for her supervisor who conveniently said she was sitting right next her and said she was not screaming. She just loud to help me understand. Clearly the customer support here is superb, I asked if they would do anything for me as the customer because of the mistake. She said, "We already did. You'll get your money back" and then proceeded to lecture me on knowing what's right and wrong. I asked for the new lady Valerie's supervisor. She put me on hold and hung up. My next step is BBB and FTC. Fair trade act my @$$.

Teflon clear coat prematurely wearing off glasses - I spoke with the Optical Manager and she said there was nothing she could do because the glasses were over 1 year old. I paid extra for the Teflon clear coat - Teflon coating is the latest non-glare technology which is designed to repel dust, water, oil and scratches. I'm thinking the Teflon coating was not applied correctly on the glasses or the Teflon coating has a manufacturing defect. I'm hoping you can help resolve this issue.

I was shopping at BJ's in Jensen Beach, FL, when I was approached by a man who was wearing a BJ's badge. He said the store was promoting a MasterCard offered by Comenity Capital Bank. I looked on his badge. His name was Carl. He went on to explain if approved, the credit card would come with a 7.99 Apr for In store purchases, plus double cashback, if you bought electronics. I asked if the Apr was accurate and real, Carl assured me that it was. I applied on the spot, was approved and spent almost 400 dollars. I also asked if my credit report would be pulled, he said "no it's a soft hit."

When the card arrived, and I read the enclosed information on my Apr I was shocked to see it was 25.24%. Thinking this was some sort of mistake I called the number on the back of the card. I spoke with Sam from Comenity Bank. I spoke of my concerns about the incorrect Apr. Sam told me he saw I was approved for the Apr but he would have to speak to someone on how to correct the problem. Sam put me on hold, for a bit, when he came back to our call, he apologized and said that promotion was no longer in effect. Sam said the promotion had discontinued for a while.

I was very upset, and he transferred me to someone else who basically said nothing could done, and they wouldn't lower my Apr or contact credit bureau about the hard pull of my report. I said "I felt deceived." What about everyone else who was lied to on January 21, 2017? How many others got roped into this deceptive and fraudulent scam? I called BJ's and no one knew about the credit card scam, the mgr confirmed to me that the Apr was not 7.99% as promised. The mgr wrote an email to corporate, and I am waiting for responses to this serious matter. Did anyone else have this problem? The hard pull lowered my credit score several points. Thank God for credit Karma keeping me updated. I want something done about this matter. I have all paperwork to prove I should have rec'd the 7.99%.

BJ's represents itself as a "wholesale warehouse club" and charges an annual membership fee. What I am unable to understand is how is a wholesale club, representing itself as offering the lowest wholesale prices in exchange for the annual fee, have and offer substantial numbers of discount coupons for products which it regularly carries. They can't actually be doing both and also making a substantial profit. It seems to me that BJ's is charging (membership fee) for something that that don't really offer (lowest wholesale prices). BJ's mails out discount coupon booklets approximately monthly.

I recently purchased a Samsung television at BJ's for what I was led to believe via a $100 discount coupon, that I was getting a great deal at $229. The part hard to accept is that about a week later I saw that very same television at Wal-Mart regularly priced at $218.99. Retail pricing, by its nature, is higher than wholesale pricing. This is not the only time I have felt cheated at BJ's but it is the reason I have not renewed my membership.

I will continue to purchase my glasses at BJ's because the quality and price are excellent. I picked up my glasses at the store. The fitting process was excellent and professionally accomplished. My $70.00 glasses are as good as the $350 pair I got from Lenscrafters. The selection is definitely more limited than a store like Lenscrafters, but adequate for my needs.

I have been a member for well over 15 years. I purchased a iPad for a Christmas gift on the 9th of December 2016. Order was supposed to ship in 5 to 7 business days. Received no shipment details in the time frame so called customer service and waited to speak with someone for over 25 minutes. When l got thru was told items was on back order. I called again on the 21st and after waiting another 20 plus minutes was given an expected ship date of 12/30/2016. The supervisor I dealt with was very understanding about my concerns of a Christmas Delivery. Was not able to receive iPad before Christmas but gave me credit for the inconvenience of not having item in time for Christmas. I was more upset that you could still go onto website and order item with a 5 to 7 business day delivery.

I have been waiting patiently for item to ship. Wrote a inquiry on the 5th of January to get a possible eta shipment and was told no idea as of this time. Got an email on the 10th stating my order was cancelled and called customer service again and waited over 14 minutes to even speak with someone. Was on phone with them for approximately 40 minutes and 4 seconds just to be told there is nothing they can do for me. I feel this is totally unrealistic. I feel they just didn't want to hold up their end of the deal being that they gave me money off. Another prime example of a company who really does not care what the consumer feels. They are totally in the wrong with this issue. I can go to apple and place a order or buy this item at a local Apple Store today. They stated that the item was not available from apple. Lost a longtime member.

South Philadelphia Store, January 3rd, 2017, approximately 6:15 PM. My friend, who was with me at the time and is a member at Costco, observed the prices of numerous items are higher than Costco, as well as CVS (with coupons and discounts). All of the cashiers were closed. Self checkout was the only option. The woman who checked the receipt on my way out said "Are you going to move?" when she was looking at the 8 items I purchased. She then rudely wished me a "Merry Christmas and a happy New Year". I cut up my membership card, and will never go back to BJ's. Not this Christmas, next year, or any year! My in-laws left BJ's 2 years ago. High prices, "membership fee", lack of cashiers, rudeness of employees, lack of selection, distance of store from my house. NO THANKS!

I'm not a member with BJ's. Now I'm thinking never to be a member again. I was a member in 2015 and 2016. I refused to be a member with BJ's because you wrongfully withdrawal membership fee from my bank card. So again I'm not a member with BJ's. I was a secondary member in 2015. Now 2017 there is a membership fee being processed from my bank card again. I will also place this company under suspicious because I said it last year, I was not a member with BJ's but you still negligently continued to charge for a service that is not provided to me. Please delete me from your BJ's billing. How dare this company ruin my new year by stealing from me.

I have been a BJ's member since 2009. I pay for a premium membership on an annual basis. The membership fee includes my enrollment in the 2% rewards program. For years I would let the rewards program points accrue until my membership renewal time and cash in the reward points once a year when my membership was renewed. Unknown to me BJ's changed the rewards points program to have the points expire after six months, (use them or lose them). But I am still expected to pay for a membership fee on an annual basis. I think the membership fee and the reward points should have the same longevity cycle. BJ's appears not care about individual members based on their response to my objection to this new rewards policy change.

Ordered tires 12/10, totaled car 12/11. Called to cancel tires. 12/12 I get billed on my debit card, I understand it's a hold, all companies do this. Got billed again 12/15. Called to say "Hey, it's Christmas, please don't double bill me." Was told I'd have to wait until they straightened it out. Meantime I'm incurring overdraft fees for the double billing. There goes Christmas. Day after Christmas I get billed... AGAIN!!! If I went to BJ's and took over a thousand dollars' worth of merchandise I'd be in jail. No satisfaction from any people on phone - transferred to wait on hold over 45 min each time. DON'T DO IT, buy local, buy at another big box, anywhere but here.

I purchased tires from BJ's wholesale at Valley Stream for over $500, on the drive home the tires wobbled tremendously. I took the car back to BJ's the next day and they told me that the new tires had to get accustomed to the road. I tried reaching the store manager as no one in the tire department was interested in helping me and kept giving me the runaround, 2 months later after speaking to the general manager my tires were finally changed. The service at the Valley Stream location is horrible.

When I showed up for my appointment to install the tires that I ordered online, they refused to install them because I have aftermarket wheels. They said their policy is "BJ's will only install tires authorized for a specific vehicle" and since I don't have the original equipment wheels, it's against their policy. Even though my wheels and tires fit my vehicle perfectly, it's up to them to decide this! So, I got my money refunded and am going to a real tire store to buy tires.

BJ's is advertising a "BJ's" $70 discount on purchase of 4 Michelin tires. Michelin has a $70 rebate program thru 12/12/16 for the purchase of 4 tires. That sounds like $140 in discounts to me. But BJ's is advertising the rebate as if it is their discount. When I called to ask for a tire quote, the attendant was quick to point out that this has caused a lot of confusion with consumers and was very apologetic but it's corporate not the workers pulling the bait and switch. Note that with the Michelin rebate, the cost per tire was almost exactly the same as tire stores were offering. Also note - I just created an account. There was no "order number" given to me so I had to leave it blank.

I like the BJ's store overall but the outsourced optical department is horrible! I bought an expensive pair of frames and lenses and in 9 months the reflective coating that I paid extra for was de-laminating. Clearly it was applied poorly. I took them back and expected them to replace them as it is a clear manufacturer's defect but no way. I now have a very expensive pair of useless glasses. Thanks BJ's Optical! Back to Costco I go!

I would like to comment on how indifferent I was treated at my local store last week when I had an accident and reported it to the manager. I went into my local store (Cutler Bay, Fl) last Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016. As I was reaching for a box of chocolates, there was one that was left on top and the whole thing tipped over on me and one of the boxes nearly took my eye out. I was hit with the corner of the box, so much so that the corner was actually dented in by the force that it hit my face, I received a cut under my eye, which quickly bled and started to swell. I went to report it to a manager who came to see where the incident had happened and took my name, member # and a picture. I spent Thanksgiving and my daughter's birthday with a black eye and a cut under my eye, which will likely leave a scar, it is now Monday, Nov. 28th and I have yet to hear from anyone from the store or otherwise.

I find it extremely offensive that they would not show any type of concern or interest in the welfare of their customers, I spend an upward of $600.00 per month at BJ's and do not appreciate the fact that I have been shown no courtesy whatsoever as to my injury. My membership expires in early 2017, I can say that I will not renewing, I will not even be using the remainder of my membership, I would rather purchase a new membership at Costco than be so offensively undermined by this company.

Ordered tires as part of the black Friday sales and used the $50 off coupon. Was informed that I could have the free installation coupon applied after installation by the front desk. I made my appointment and went home. Come in today for my installation and find that they were not only were they refusing to accept the free installation coupon but also didn't have the tires in; so it will probably push the second coupon out of date making it invalid anyways. If I had known all of this I would have just waited another week to purchase the tires as it is not a waste of time and money going back and forth when they won’t honor the coupon or even have the tires in. (I was told they call you when they are in, why even bother making an appointment if there is no guarantee the tires will be in??)

I purchased 3 TVs on Saturday at BJ's in Paramus, NJ. The TVs were $449.99 with a $200.00 clipless coupon. This brings the price to $249.99 each. The total price with tax was $844.47. The next day, I noticed that Target had the same TVs for a cheaper price. I put the 3 TVs in my cart online and with tax, my total came to $680.00. So, of course, I purchased them at Target with the intention of returning the other 3 at BJ's.

When I was looking at my receipt, I noticed that BJ's charged me $94.50 in tax. 7% tax on $749.97 is $52.50, not $94.50. They charged me tax on the original price of $449.99. Not the sale price of $249.99. When I went to return them, the computer wanted to give me back $52.50 in tax and not $94.50. The Customer Service Rep was very nice and said that she had to override the tax manually to give me what I originally paid. Store policy is you pay the tax on the higher price, but if you return, they want to give you the tax on the lower amount.

What a racket BJ's has. They charge you sales tax on the price before their coupon, but when you go to return the item, they want to give you back the tax after the coupon. Isn't this illegal??? How can BJ's do this to the consumer? I'm sure most people do not notice that they are being charged tax on the original price. I didn't notice it until I went to return the TVs. The lady in line behind me said it happened to her friend, and when they came back to the store to complain, they were told that is BJ's policy, so they returned their item. We are being ripped off at BJ's. (And we pay a membership fee to shop there.) Please be aware if you buy large ticket items at BJ's, and there is a clipless coupon, the sales tax will be on the higher amount, and if you return, they will give you back the sales tax on the sale price, unless you bring it to their attention. For this reason, I will never buy anything but groceries at BJ's.

I made several purchases on 11/18/2016 from bjs.com, worth a few thousand dollars. All these orders were at promotional price. In order to make the purchases, I spend $50 opened a membership online. To my surprise, all those orders were canceled after a few hours. The only item that was not canceled was the membership! It made me feel that they gave some fake deals and tricked us into their membership.

What was worse, all those charges remained "pending" on my credit card for the next several day. I was unable to make any further purchase from other bank. I had to call their customer services several times to resolve this issue. I called their customer service at least 7-8 times. Each time the wait time was around 20 min. This was worst experience I had with any merchant considering this was my first time buying from them. I have membership from Sam's Club and Costco. Both of them are far better than BJ's!

BEWARE... When getting gas with your debit card, your bank account balance will display!!! Completely an invasion of privacy! I didn't give them access to my information and should not be displayed!!! WATCH OUT! Called BJ's and it has a code that also lets people use gift cards and view balance! They say they are working on it, however seemed to not care too much! It's displaying this PRIVATE information without the permission to do so! You are not a bank!!! So beware everyone? They only care about the use of gift cards!!!

When I arrived home from shopping at BJ's on Route 13 in New Castle, Delaware, I opened the sliced Dietz & Watson Light Boiled Ham package, to the odor of something very obnoxious. It was an odor of decaying meat. Since I was quite far from the BJ's where I purchased the meat, I returned it to one closer... Complaining to the CS gal that it was an obnoxious odor. She did not want to smell it, but commented that they have more meat returns than anything. When I asked about the brand of Dietz & Watson, she told me D&W has an agreement with BJS's & Costco to provide meat at a very low cost. The gal told me never to buy deli meat at BJ's, and referred me to Shop Rite for the freshest meat.

This low cost agreement should not affect the safety of the product. I am reporting them to the Board of Health. Also, their restrooms were filthy. I will never shop at a BJS again for fresh food products. Obviously, the Company has issues - perhaps with temperature control or inexperienced workers. Regardless, the company has become a great disappointment for me, a customer of 28 years.

I ordered frame-less a month ago and was given a maximum delivery date and they called me to tell me that one lenses did not pass quality control and it was going to be remade. Well here I am still waiting for my glasses. I called last week and was told they were not done, then I called again 3 days later and was told the same story. I told them that I never have waited so long to get a pair of glasses. Same story about quality control. I am really sick of this and even the difference in price from my optometrist is not worth the hassle. My sister ordered the same style glasses and the same quality from a site online and only waited a week. The reason I didn't order from them was I didn't know how to do the measurements needed. I am really bummed out because I really need my new glasses.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Profile