2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.9/5 (351 ratings)

About BJ's Wholesale Club

BJ's Wholesale Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I signed up for a credit card, didn't activate. Due to Covid, I can't shop, they agreed to cancel membership renewal. 3 months later and many 45 minute calls to them AND their bank. Promises, no action!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I ordered from BJ's online and when I received box, it had someone else's order with their packing slip which included their name, address, phone number and their Bj's account number. It took be 50 minutes to get through to customer service and once on it took one hour to figure out that I needed to repack the box and bring it to my lobby for UPS pickup in 1-5 days. Once they receive return items I would receive a refund. They refused to resend out my order and also more importantly they didn't care to research who may have gotten my personal information. Another phone call took 65 minutes and again on hold for over 30 minutes to be told that they could not identify who received my order with my personal information until it was returned and also refused to confirm who now has my personal information. This is a a breach of my personal security. I will be contacting their legal department.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have a company card and spend HUNDREDS of dollars with this company. I opted to have automatic renewal, that charges my company card and is linked with my BJ's account, to pay so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I noticed on my monthly credit card statement that BJ's charged $165 for a renewal of our membership. No problem, even though the fee went up $25 without notice. I went into my account to try to print a receipt for my work to reflect the payment charged on my credit card statement. The website shows only a $110 charge. I call the store for a printed receipt for the NEW charge, long story short, they can't give me one. She directs me to a customer service number to call.

I call the number and hold for 1.5 hours!! When I finally get someone, she tells me she will send me one via email. Waited 2 days...nope, no receipt. I call again and hold 15 mins and this person tells me she would resubmit another request to a different department and they will respond 3-5 days. I ask to speak to a supervisor...I hold another 15 mins. Then a recording comes on about rating the person and then I get disconnected. I can't believe I can't get a receipt and NO ONE AT THIS COMPANY CAN HELP ME!! WHAT A JOKE! Reference #** Shop at Costco or Sams!!

Original review: July 12, 2020

For the 2nd or 3rd time, I bought Wesley's Swiss Cheese in the 2 pound package. One again, the Swiss is GREEN MOLDED. (NOTHING NEW.) Called Corporate about 2 weeks ago. Gave the guy ALL required information and was told I would get a voucher in the mail. When? Is BJ's going to blame the P.O. or the coronavirus? 33 years of BJ's is enough for me! I see how much BJ's values long time customers who has been a member longer than most employees have been alive! Sam's and Costco, thank you for real Customer service.

Original review: July 12, 2020

BJ's was selling a sanitizer called Blumen. My boyfriend and I recently saw a news article online in Massachusetts about there being Methanol in this product so there was a recall on it. We purchased a few bottles from Bj's so we called the store and they said they would take them back. When we arrived at Bjs the girl at the courtesy desk was so rude. She stated there is no recall on the ones they were selling and when we asked why all lf it was pulled from their shelves she said it was a courtesy...to me that doesn't make sense. Mind you one of the symptoms is blurry vision in which my boyfriend has had recently while using this product. She only offered a gift card and not a refund. She was not pleasant at all. Customer service was horrible. The store is located in Southington CT.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I received an advertisement from BJ's on Monday and called my store to find out if the item was in stock. I was informed it was not, but since the item went on sale on Thursday to check back then. Today I have spent all morning calling my assigned store, a store I was told had it in stock (turned out it was the display & could not be sold) and BJ's customer service line (35 minutes on hold). End result answer from a lady named Ed was this item is sold out and not available in Florida.

Why would a company such as BJ's send this advertisement magazine out knowing this item is and will not be in stock. I believe this is a gross example of false advertisement specially in a time when people are encouraged to stay at home. I believe they want to make people come into their store to sell them other items. I have been a member since 2008 and am very disappointed - as there are many options to consumers I will be going elsewhere and encourage others to do the same.

Resolution response: Oct. 21, 2020

BJ's strung me along for a few weeks by email before I initiated a chargeback through PayPal. PayPal found in my favor, so I have my money back--although it was like pulling teeth.

Original review: June 8, 2020

A few weeks ago I joined BJ's as a one-day member on their website and purchased 4 rolls of landscape cloth. Only three arrived, one of them damaged (unboxed with a label slapped on), and the fourth still showing as "in transit"on the UPS site. Today, I used BJ's live chat app to get assistance with the missing package. After stating the problem, their customer rep Rizaldo asked me for my membership #. When I explained that I had used temporary membership to make my purchase, he terminated the chat. Assuming this last shipment is indeed missing, it looks like I will have to do a charge-back on the missing item.

Original review: June 7, 2020

My wife and I wanted to try BJ's; we have been going to Costco for years and decided to try BJ's Wholesale. Upon arriving at the customer service desk, my wife asked the Service Clerk if she could get a temporary/first time member account. The clerk, her name badge had several other items laying over it appeared to say "Yessin..."

After giving our information, the clerk proceeded to tell my wife that she didn't have an account. My wife then explained that that no, she wanted a temporary pass to try out the store. The clerk sighed, and said; so you want to open an account. My wife explained, for the second time, that she had received a letter in the mail inviting her to come in and try a temporary pass. The clerk then explained that if we joined, we could get the year for $25 instead of $50, instead of a temporary pass. She also said that if we didn't take the $25 deal, we would not get the offer again if we decided to join. We agreed to join.

The clerk then asked for my wife's ID. She presented her state issued, photo ID for concealed carry - it has her name, address, photo, etc. The clerk told her that she needed a state issued ID. It was, it just wasn't a driver's license. No problem, I gave the clerk my driver's license. But I said the address was not the latest. When ready, the rude clerk asked for the address. I was standing back with the cart, my wife began to give the updated address and the clerk shushed her, said she could only speak to the person with a "valid state ID".

I gave the address and when asked our phone and email as well. She gave us a folder, a receipt and a BJ's card. She said when we got home to visit the website to set up our account and link to the phone app. My wife had already downloaded the app to try to see what they sold and offers; but you needed an account to see coupons/sales. So while my wife shopped, I downloaded the app and tried logging in.

First, I couldn't get past the name - turns out I'm a Jr, so for the last name the clerk put both last name and Jr. Once I had the name correct, it asked for my email address and a password to create the log in. No matter what I tried, each time it returned with a "error registering". The address area, I put the correct address. No matter what I tried; an error continued. So I returned to the Customer Service desk.

Unfortunately, Yessin?? was available, so I returned to her. I explained that I could not get the App to link and asked if she would confirm the email. Without even looking, she told me "I put in the email you gave me." I explained that my email, which has my name, could be spelled multiple ways - the address was correct, so they only thing I could guess was the email. She sighed, then read to me the email (not the letters, but the name). I explained there was spelling options and showed her my login screen with the email and asked if they matched. She rolled her eyes and said yes, and again told me that she put in what I gave her.

So I asked her if there was some other reason I couldn't link my account; everything else on the screen was correct. Yessin?? then said, "just log onto our Guest Wi-Fi; that sometimes helps because the signal in here isn't very good." At this point, I admit I was very ticked off at the rudeness, lack of customer service and it was very clear I was the problem - she didn't care if I joined, was a member or got help. I told her I would not log into an unsecured Wi-Fi and enter personal information into the app. I had just checked my security cameras and email (I had checked to see if BJ's had sent anything when I joined, thinking it would confirm the email address). I had full bars, no signal issue.

I told her I would not use an unknown Wi-Fi and I had good signal. Yessin__ responded that was all she could do; having other people log into the Wi-Fi had solved their problem, and if I didn't want to log into the Wi-Fi there wasn't anything else she could do. I then told her that both of my experiences with her; joining and the help with the app were not positive experiences. I told her that as a new member, I was not thrilled with her service and did not appreciate our interactions. She just looked at me for a moment then said. "Sorry." with a look that said she was anything, but.

I can say that the check-out clerk, her assistant with the cart and door checker were all very pleasant. I went to the BJ's website, but they only had an option for calling - no email or chat; and in red it said the average wait time was 60-90 minutes. I get with the pandemic there are concessions to be made, but BJ's clearly not working on customer service (training, personnel or online).

Original review: June 2, 2020

I've been shopping at the BJ's in Oaks, PA since they opened. Always like the workers there. They have always been very courteous. The new guy Dave is rude. He's the guy who checks your receipts on the way out.

Original review: May 18, 2020

BJ's doesn't care about their loyal customers. I've been with them for over 20 years. They shipped me chairs that were damaged. They don't answer their phones. I went to store and they refused to take back chairs. They are the worst. Go somewhere else...

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information