3.9/5 (674 ratings)

About BJ's Wholesale Club

BJ's Wholesale Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: May 25, 2022

I will never, ever order anything from BJ's Wholesale online. This was my first and last order with them. I've been shopping online for decades, thousands of orders, and I've only met one other vendor that is this inept, and incompetent. Note that the other company went out of business shortly after my bad experience with them. Back to the case at hand: I ordered 20 cases Fairlife Nutrition Plan High Protein Chocolate Shake, 12 pk., Item: 206827 on May 3, 2022. The 12 packs were 17.49 each, for a total order cost of $349.80 including shipping. The order stated that the delivery option was "Shipping 2 Business Days"... The order FINALLY arrived on May 18th... Do the math on that one: 5/3/2022 plus two business days = 5/18/2022? Apparently it does to BJ's Wholesale online order system.

They shipped the order from Florida via AIT Logistics shipping. I need to write another separate review of them. The thing to note here is that you have to schedule a delivery time, with a window of about 4 hours, on a weekday. I guess they figure every household has someone at home who doesn't work every weekday, or at least not during daylight hours? Sam's Club doesn't do this. Walmart doesn't do this. Amazon doesn't do this. So why does BJ's wholesale have this as the only option if you order from them?

When the order *did* arrive, only 14 of the 20 packs arrived. Note that the only paperwork that AIT had said "Quantity: 1" on it. So they wouldn't even know how many total individual units were to be delivered! So I email BJ's Customer service and explain the problem... After a few back and forth emails, they say they'll issue a refund for the 6 packs that were not delivered. Fast forward to today, 5/25/2022 I get a refund for $79.80. Mind you that each pack costs $17.49, and six were not delivered. If you do the math, $17.49 X 6 is $104.94. I'm still waiting for them to explain their math to me - they still owe me $25.14. Why the So over *three weeks after placing my order*: I only got 70% of my order. I only got ~80% of the refund amount. Unacceptable. Name one thing they've done right on this entire order process!

Luckily I placed the order through PayPal. I'm disputing the refund amount through them. If I don't get any resolution through PayPal, I will contact my credit card company and pursue it that way. I have all the order information, tracking, emails, etc. if needed to verify this information. I'm done dealing with this company. I'd recommend that you do not order anything from them either... unless you want to wait 2 weeks for a 2 business day shipping item, have to stay home half a weekday to get your order, and possibly not get all of your order.

Original review: May 2, 2022

For the 3rd time in a few months I had to return to the store to return spoiled fruit which was obviously not fresh when I bought it each time. The strawberries were refrigerated immediately on return to my house and within two days they were moldy. Previously, I returned with a box of rotting blueberries same situation. The person at customer service was not very friendly or sympathetic but did receive the funds for that purchase. How about my time lost, gasoline spent and not being able to consume the products that I went to the store to purchase. I have been a cardholder for a number of years, but I intend to cancel it and go to Costco where apparently they appreciate the customers. By the way, I asked for the manager and guess all I got was some lackey that was unhappy with her job.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I placed an order on the 8th of April, 2022. I have not received the order and the shipping was given to a 3rd party shipper who has told us for two weeks that it will be delivered "tomorrow"- the order was almost $400 - BJ's has refused to get in touch with the shipper, has provided no assistance in getting the shipper to answer for this problem and has also refused to refund my money- stating they are "reviewing" my case. There is zero follow up and I was told when I called that it would take 2 days for a decision to be made. I am not sure what the decision is- the shipper has not delivered the order. They owe me either the items or my money but they have refused both. Do not order from BJ's unless you want to be put through this. Getting through to a customer service person is almost impossible. The last time I called I was on hold for 64 minutes and then cut off. I am furious.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Patio table came broken. Been trying to get a new one for 4 weeks. No responses to my emails or I’m told the dept that does returns isn’t responding. Ask to speak to supervisor and was told he doesn’t have one. Can’t get a new table or even a response. Spent $2500. DO NOT SHOP ONLINE AT BJ'S.

Original review: April 20, 2022

First I'd like to say, whenever I call my local BJ's, I never ever get an answer. The phone rings off the hook with no one answering. When I call the toll-free number, I know I'm going to wait 45 minutes or longer before someone answers. We have been looking for months for disposable gloves and they haven't had it. A few days ago, my husband came home with disposable gloves. I was glad to see them until he told me what he paid for them. Before the pandemic BJ's sold for $9.99. My husband paid $29. or $29.99 for the same exact package. The store is not around the corner, so we will keep, but I will go online and order from Amazon or Walmart next time.

Original review: April 18, 2022

If I could have given them no stars I would have, I called customer service to inquire about purchasing an online item and it would not ship to store and they only carried a smaller size at the store. I asked if they ever have any promotions or coupons for free shipping and they said they could not tell me??!! I said Ok I ordered what I wanted and paid 99$ for shipping not even a week later the same item showed up as free shipping! I called customer service numerous times and "cases" opened via email unfortunately the communication barrier with every customer agent who answered either could not understand you or vice versa! Long hold times sometimes over 50 minutes each call and I called 7 times.

So finally I speak to someone who can understand me so he tells me to call Metro (the shipping company) they will reimburse the shipping. So, I call then call them. Metro tells me they can't reimburse any fees. BJ's has to since my payment (Item & shipping) was paid to BJ's. So, Once again I call BJ's customer service number and 32 minutes later I speak to Shawn and he tells me he can't reimburse the shipping I have to call Metro. Needless to say I had to go through, "I just spoke to them and they told me to call you." (As they both point fingers at each other.)

Shawn finally tells me he can't reimburse my shipping because it wasn't free shipping at time of purchase. I said, "OK. I'll cancel my order because I didn't receive it yet and will reorder." HE said, "You can but you won't be refunded for any of your purchase!" WHAT??? I just spent 1700$ and you are telling me I will lose that if I cancel?? I said, "Do you have a supervisor I can speak to?" He said, "I can give you the Corporate email!" I find it hard to believe they don't have a contact to corporate! Terrible customer service. Do not buy anything online. I will make it a point to tell everyone I know to not buy or get a membership from BJ's. Thanks for the runaround BJ's!

Original review: April 7, 2022

Bj's renewed my subscription without my knowledge and I had an outstanding charge of $126, I called to cancel a credit card because I moved to another state, but they didn't cancel my card and they used it to renew my subscription, so now I have to call all 3 credit bureau to get my credit score back to where it was. My credit score was knocked down substantially and Bj's does not care one bit.

Original review: March 24, 2022

After 10 years as a customer, I was charged an unauthorized $170 membership renewal. I called immediately to dispute the charge and was told I would get a refund in 10 days. 10 days later, I got no response. Called again (45 minute wait to talk to one person) and was told they would send it to the credit department. They said they would get back to me in 3 days. 5 days later...no response. From my bank, I have verified that BJs charged my card. My BJ's account does not even show that I have the "service" IF a mistake was made...fine. But the customer service is hard to reach and the individual customer service reps are powerless to help customers in a situation like mine. I basically have had $170 stolen from me by BJ's with no legitimate recourse.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Went to visit my friend at Jensen Beach, and went to the BJ's area and the management at that BJ's is not organized. They only had a girl at the self-checkout and it was extremely busy, all the self-checkout register were getting stock, so everyone was needing help, the girl helping was so sweet, and she was crying. My friend said that that BJ's is under personnel, that they do not have enough workers and is always a struggle. Management is not managing this store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I have noticed on many taxable purchases, using BJ’s store coupons (paper and ecoupons) which in effect lowers the purchase price, the tax applied is on the pre discount price. Upon complaint, Corporate office provided a copy NewYork State Tax Bulletin TB-ST-140. This provides guidance on the tax application for various situations. In the case of store coupons the discount is taken off the initial price and the tax applied to remainder. In the New York stores I find tax the on the initial price before the discount. Store “managers” dismiss any complaints in this matter. I also put a TV in my cart, the TV was advertised $80. discount. The cart had an additional $ 6.40 tax for this discount. I purchased the same TV at a local competitor for near the same discounted price without the additional tax.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

On 11/24/21 I was in store and had a message pop up regarding my membership. It was my renewal month so I clicked yes. I later found my renewal was already paid and this was an upgrade request. On 12/1/21 I went back into the store to have the membership downgraded and refunded. The downgrade happened right away, but the refund request had to go to corporate. I called the store on 12/13/21 to confirm the request was sent to corporate, it was. I then called corporate and was told I had to wait 7-10 business days from my request, so I waited and called back on 12/16/21. My request at that time was escalated to the credit department.

I called back on 12/22/21 as I still had not received my refund. I was told no one was in the department and that I would receive a callback from the operator at noon. I called back at 2 and spoke to a different person who then got a supervisor on the phone, this person could also not get information for me. After stating that I would dispute the charge with my bank she then hung up on me. I called back again on 12/23/21 and was told the credit department got back to them and said the refund would process in 3-5 business days. I now have to wait another week to see if the refund comes through. All of the people that I spoke to had a foreign accent. So this was most likely a call center and they were less than helpful.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I belong to Costco, Sam's Club, and today joined BJ's because it's also local to where we live. We walked around the warehouse checking everything out to see what they carry. I'm so not impressed. To top it off, I tried purchasing some Dak Ham that was supposed to have an instant coupon that automatically comes off at the register. That didn't happen. They said I could wait while they walked back to where the ham was to check the signage. Really??!!

To top it off, the return policy is only 90 days (30 days for electronics) with a receipt for your money back. (Costco is 90 days for electronic items and indefinite for all other items) Even though BJ's has the purchasing record in their system, they will only issue a store credit without the paper receipt. I left the ham with the cashier and walked out with only 2 items. When we got home, we removed the "auto renewal" online. Can we get our money back on the membership since we don't like shopping here??? When we got the membership, the clerk was trying to make it sound like they were better than Costco for many reasons. I can honestly say these 2 warehouse clubs aren't even in the same league. Costco all the way!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Set an appointment for a tire rotation and balance. Wanted to turn me down when I arrived there was only one person there doing everything. Said he would try and work me in. After contacting a manager in 3 hours later my tires were finally rotated, but not balanced. No one has called me back after officially complaining by email. It's been 3 weeks and I have communicated three times for a call back from management. No response. I would never shop here or do anything with this place as it looks trashy anyway.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

BJ's Discriminate shipping to a Hispanic U.S. territory in Puerto Rico, especially now that I need all the help they can get due to the island's electrical problem. BJ's to this date treat us the customer like little kids making us use their discount coupons instead of having their discount automated at the register just like they do in Costco, Sam's Club and other average supermarkets.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I cancelled my membership twice this year 2021 and BJ'S still charging me without authorization. They keep the card member information and every year they charge the customers. I called the 8002572582 where is an option for this specific issue and they kept records on the notes but still charging you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I was in BJ's twice in a month and the line to check out was all the way around the back of the warehouse. That’s just shows they don’t care about their customers. I have never seen anything like this except at Christmas in Kohl’s. I also am a member of Costco and never ever waited 20 minutes in a line. Even in their return line is Buick. I have no desire to ever go back to bjs again. I will stick with Costco

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

BJ's charged my credit card without my authorization for my yearly membership renewal. Not only, they charged one month earlier than the renewal due date. Early this year BJ's was offering a Mastercard promotion. I signed for the new card, but never authorized to use it for my membership renewal. They acted on my behalf without my authorization. "CUSTOMERS OF BJ'S PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS ". The membership renewal was 7/31/2021, they charged on 7/01/2021. Since, I never used this credit card, and never received a paper statement, I got charged a $31.00 late fee. I called and complained, and got all these reversed, but please be aware of this illegal practice.

Original review: June 29, 2021

On June 10, 2021, I placed an order online for the Berkley Jensen Rowley 9PC Aluminum Sling Dining Set. The set was available online and I was charged fully for the item. Two days later I received a call from CEVA Logistics which is the company Bj's used for my delivery requesting me to schedule a date for the delivery and I did. I schedule the delivery for June 19, 2021. I had planned a celebration for father's day and for my son's graduation and I ended up canceling the celebration because someone lost the item and they can't locate it. I called CEVA Logistics and they stated that the item was a no show, then I called Bj's Care support and they don't know what happened.

I explained my frustration and all they can say is "I will look into the issues and I will give you a call within 72 hours". I've been told the same thing about 10 times. I've been calling them every day for the past two weeks and I don't see a resolution in the near future. Yesterday I called Ceva Logistics once again and that stated they located the item but can't be delivered it to me because someone at bj's requested a return. I called Bj's Care support to find out and no one there seems to have an answer. Every time I called I speak to someone new. I have to explain myself every time I called. I have requested to speak to a manager and for some odd reason they never available and I'm told they would call me within 24 hours. At this point, I feel robbed. It's been 20 days of stress and high blood pressure. I don't have the item or my money back. This has been the worst nightmare of my whole life. Stay away from the club.

Original review: June 10, 2021

They charged me for membership after I canceled my membership a few weeks before. I had to call them for a refund. The customer service is just horrible. Definitely a store you should avoid. Very shady business.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I was tricked into joining the business club with a product it said I could buy online. After joining and paying the membership fee you couldn't buy the product online but had to go to a store. There are no stores close to me. I never ordered anything and now it is time for automatic renewal of membership. I followed the website's directions on opting out of renewal or canceling membership. You cannot do it online and when I tried to opt out by phone it conveniently says there is an issue. The automated phone didn't have any problems with me typing in my membership number or getting to the right place to opt out but it will not let me do it. This place sucks! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

This is 1 of my absolute go to stores. They sell almost everything in bulk and yes you need to be a member, however they often have trial memberships that you can try out for 30-90 days or you are able to have one authorized user on your account. They have paper coupons and digital coupons. You're able to use store coupons with manufacturing coupons, which then you can upload your receipt onto any qualifying apps to save even more $. I find their prices very reasonable and the membership pays for itself in my opinion. You just have to go and see for yourself because this paragraph could easily become a book. Have a great day everyone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I purchased an Emerson 7.0 cubic feet upright freezer online for delivery. Delivery was fast, but the freezer had dents in 3 different places. Asked for replacement or refund and nearly two weeks lately, I am still waiting for a pick up of the product and refund because they never got back to me on a replacement.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Placed an order for a smart tv for pick up, the order was approved and charged and then reversed and canceled 3 times! The first 2 times a customer service representative told me it was because of discrepancies on my billing address, the last time and when I was just minutes to pick up got canceled because it was out of stock! A very disappointing first buyer experience at BJ’s! BTW still waiting for a manager to call me for a solution on this matter! So frustrating???

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This is the second time in two months since purchasing packaged food with bad packaging allowing sealed-in foods to be exposed to the environment. On this instance, I purchased Jack Daniels Seasoned Fully Cooked Pulled Port. Boxed item includes two sealed portioned pouches. One of the two was sealed correctly. The other pouch's seal was through their product, ie. not sealed. The food near the opened pouch was discolored white. Cost of the item at the BJ's Parkland, Florida location was $10.99. In this case trusting food purchased from BJ's Parkland could be a fatal decision.

When returning the item, Manager on Duty Ivan seemed to cop an attitude suggesting that he sees/hears these complaints quite often. His only suggestion was to refund the item or talk to store manager, Anthony **, when he returns sometime next week. When I asked Ivan whether it was possible that BJ's costs are lower than purchasing same item at grocery stores due to BJ's purchasing defective stock from leading manufacturers, Ivan neither agreed nor denied the statement. Considering this being my second time with two different products, and today's manager on duty somewhat agreeing, there seems to be a problem that will affect the health and well being of other customers, and should be reported to health officials. What good is buying wholesale if you could die doing it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Not all employees are rude but two specifically manager and one at the checkout exit. I made a complaint about the individual at the exit checking items, anyone ** would let them out quick but I as an Hispanic would go thoroughly in my cart knowing it was checked out by an associate. It made me feel like if I was stealing. Spoke to the manager about the incidents but it was like speaking to the wall never took action just said is doing his job. For that reason I will never place a foot in any BJ'S Wholesale stores. This happen at Mayslanding, New Jersey. Compared to Sam's wholesales BJ's is out of date.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Cuban butcher at the BJ's store in Ft Myers, Florida intentionally lied about the meat he was selling, and had repackaged it with an extended expiration date. I asked him twice if the meat was fresh and he lied to me twice. When I got home and opened the packaging, it was slimy and smelled foul and rotten, so I had to drive all the way back to the store to request a refund and explain to customer service what had happened, and asked that the general manager investigate the Cuban guy who tried to poison me with rotten meat from BJ's meat department this week.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I signed up for a credit card, didn't activate. Due to Covid, I can't shop, they agreed to cancel membership renewal. 3 months later and many 45 minute calls to them AND their bank. Promises, no action!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I ordered from BJ's online and when I received box, it had someone else's order with their packing slip which included their name, address, phone number and their Bj's account number. It took be 50 minutes to get through to customer service and once on it took one hour to figure out that I needed to repack the box and bring it to my lobby for UPS pickup in 1-5 days. Once they receive return items I would receive a refund. They refused to resend out my order and also more importantly they didn't care to research who may have gotten my personal information. Another phone call took 65 minutes and again on hold for over 30 minutes to be told that they could not identify who received my order with my personal information until it was returned and also refused to confirm who now has my personal information. This is a a breach of my personal security. I will be contacting their legal department.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have a company card and spend HUNDREDS of dollars with this company. I opted to have automatic renewal, that charges my company card and is linked with my BJ's account, to pay so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I noticed on my monthly credit card statement that BJ's charged $165 for a renewal of our membership. No problem, even though the fee went up $25 without notice. I went into my account to try to print a receipt for my work to reflect the payment charged on my credit card statement. The website shows only a $110 charge. I call the store for a printed receipt for the NEW charge, long story short, they can't give me one. She directs me to a customer service number to call.

I call the number and hold for 1.5 hours!! When I finally get someone, she tells me she will send me one via email. Waited 2 days...nope, no receipt. I call again and hold 15 mins and this person tells me she would resubmit another request to a different department and they will respond 3-5 days. I ask to speak to a supervisor...I hold another 15 mins. Then a recording comes on about rating the person and then I get disconnected. I can't believe I can't get a receipt and NO ONE AT THIS COMPANY CAN HELP ME!! WHAT A JOKE! Reference #** Shop at Costco or Sams!!

Original review: July 12, 2020

For the 2nd or 3rd time, I bought Wesley's Swiss Cheese in the 2 pound package. One again, the Swiss is GREEN MOLDED. (NOTHING NEW.) Called Corporate about 2 weeks ago. Gave the guy ALL required information and was told I would get a voucher in the mail. When? Is BJ's going to blame the P.O. or the coronavirus? 33 years of BJ's is enough for me! I see how much BJ's values long time customers who has been a member longer than most employees have been alive! Sam's and Costco, thank you for real Customer service.

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information