3.4/5 (79 ratings)

About BJ's Wholesale Club

BJ's Wholesale Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BJ's Wholesale Club?

Original review: April 7, 2022

Bj's renewed my subscription without my knowledge and I had an outstanding charge of $126, I called to cancel a credit card because I moved to another state, but they didn't cancel my card and they used it to renew my subscription, so now I have to call all 3 credit bureau to get my credit score back to where it was. My credit score was knocked down substantially and Bj's does not care one bit.

Original review: March 24, 2022

After 10 years as a customer, I was charged an unauthorized $170 membership renewal. I called immediately to dispute the charge and was told I would get a refund in 10 days. 10 days later, I got no response. Called again (45 minute wait to talk to one person) and was told they would send it to the credit department. They said they would get back to me in 3 days. 5 days later...no response. From my bank, I have verified that BJs charged my card. My BJ's account does not even show that I have the "service" IF a mistake was made...fine. But the customer service is hard to reach and the individual customer service reps are powerless to help customers in a situation like mine. I basically have had $170 stolen from me by BJ's with no legitimate recourse.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Went to visit my friend at Jensen Beach, and went to the BJ's area and the management at that BJ's is not organized. They only had a girl at the self-checkout and it was extremely busy, all the self-checkout register were getting stock, so everyone was needing help, the girl helping was so sweet, and she was crying. My friend said that that BJ's is under personnel, that they do not have enough workers and is always a struggle. Management is not managing this store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I have noticed on many taxable purchases, using BJ’s store coupons (paper and ecoupons) which in effect lowers the purchase price, the tax applied is on the pre discount price. Upon complaint, Corporate office provided a copy NewYork State Tax Bulletin TB-ST-140. This provides guidance on the tax application for various situations. In the case of store coupons the discount is taken off the initial price and the tax applied to remainder. In the New York stores I find tax the on the initial price before the discount. Store “managers” dismiss any complaints in this matter. I also put a TV in my cart, the TV was advertised $80. discount. The cart had an additional $ 6.40 tax for this discount. I purchased the same TV at a local competitor for near the same discounted price without the additional tax.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

On 11/24/21 I was in store and had a message pop up regarding my membership. It was my renewal month so I clicked yes. I later found my renewal was already paid and this was an upgrade request. On 12/1/21 I went back into the store to have the membership downgraded and refunded. The downgrade happened right away, but the refund request had to go to corporate. I called the store on 12/13/21 to confirm the request was sent to corporate, it was. I then called corporate and was told I had to wait 7-10 business days from my request, so I waited and called back on 12/16/21. My request at that time was escalated to the credit department.

I called back on 12/22/21 as I still had not received my refund. I was told no one was in the department and that I would receive a callback from the operator at noon. I called back at 2 and spoke to a different person who then got a supervisor on the phone, this person could also not get information for me. After stating that I would dispute the charge with my bank she then hung up on me. I called back again on 12/23/21 and was told the credit department got back to them and said the refund would process in 3-5 business days. I now have to wait another week to see if the refund comes through. All of the people that I spoke to had a foreign accent. So this was most likely a call center and they were less than helpful.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I belong to Costco, Sam's Club, and today joined BJ's because it's also local to where we live. We walked around the warehouse checking everything out to see what they carry. I'm so not impressed. To top it off, I tried purchasing some Dak Ham that was supposed to have an instant coupon that automatically comes off at the register. That didn't happen. They said I could wait while they walked back to where the ham was to check the signage. Really??!!

To top it off, the return policy is only 90 days (30 days for electronics) with a receipt for your money back. (Costco is 90 days for electronic items and indefinite for all other items) Even though BJ's has the purchasing record in their system, they will only issue a store credit without the paper receipt. I left the ham with the cashier and walked out with only 2 items. When we got home, we removed the "auto renewal" online. Can we get our money back on the membership since we don't like shopping here??? When we got the membership, the clerk was trying to make it sound like they were better than Costco for many reasons. I can honestly say these 2 warehouse clubs aren't even in the same league. Costco all the way!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Set an appointment for a tire rotation and balance. Wanted to turn me down when I arrived there was only one person there doing everything. Said he would try and work me in. After contacting a manager in 3 hours later my tires were finally rotated, but not balanced. No one has called me back after officially complaining by email. It's been 3 weeks and I have communicated three times for a call back from management. No response. I would never shop here or do anything with this place as it looks trashy anyway.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

BJ's Discriminate shipping to a Hispanic U.S. territory in Puerto Rico, especially now that I need all the help they can get due to the island's electrical problem. BJ's to this date treat us the customer like little kids making us use their discount coupons instead of having their discount automated at the register just like they do in Costco, Sam's Club and other average supermarkets.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I cancelled my membership twice this year 2021 and BJ'S still charging me without authorization. They keep the card member information and every year they charge the customers. I called the 8002572582 where is an option for this specific issue and they kept records on the notes but still charging you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I was in BJ's twice in a month and the line to check out was all the way around the back of the warehouse. That’s just shows they don’t care about their customers. I have never seen anything like this except at Christmas in Kohl’s. I also am a member of Costco and never ever waited 20 minutes in a line. Even in their return line is Buick. I have no desire to ever go back to bjs again. I will stick with Costco

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

BJ's charged my credit card without my authorization for my yearly membership renewal. Not only, they charged one month earlier than the renewal due date. Early this year BJ's was offering a Mastercard promotion. I signed for the new card, but never authorized to use it for my membership renewal. They acted on my behalf without my authorization. "CUSTOMERS OF BJ'S PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS ". The membership renewal was 7/31/2021, they charged on 7/01/2021. Since, I never used this credit card, and never received a paper statement, I got charged a $31.00 late fee. I called and complained, and got all these reversed, but please be aware of this illegal practice.

Original review: June 29, 2021

On June 10, 2021, I placed an order online for the Berkley Jensen Rowley 9PC Aluminum Sling Dining Set. The set was available online and I was charged fully for the item. Two days later I received a call from CEVA Logistics which is the company Bj's used for my delivery requesting me to schedule a date for the delivery and I did. I schedule the delivery for June 19, 2021. I had planned a celebration for father's day and for my son's graduation and I ended up canceling the celebration because someone lost the item and they can't locate it. I called CEVA Logistics and they stated that the item was a no show, then I called Bj's Care support and they don't know what happened.

I explained my frustration and all they can say is "I will look into the issues and I will give you a call within 72 hours". I've been told the same thing about 10 times. I've been calling them every day for the past two weeks and I don't see a resolution in the near future. Yesterday I called Ceva Logistics once again and that stated they located the item but can't be delivered it to me because someone at bj's requested a return. I called Bj's Care support to find out and no one there seems to have an answer. Every time I called I speak to someone new. I have to explain myself every time I called. I have requested to speak to a manager and for some odd reason they never available and I'm told they would call me within 24 hours. At this point, I feel robbed. It's been 20 days of stress and high blood pressure. I don't have the item or my money back. This has been the worst nightmare of my whole life. Stay away from the club.

Original review: June 10, 2021

They charged me for membership after I canceled my membership a few weeks before. I had to call them for a refund. The customer service is just horrible. Definitely a store you should avoid. Very shady business.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I was tricked into joining the business club with a product it said I could buy online. After joining and paying the membership fee you couldn't buy the product online but had to go to a store. There are no stores close to me. I never ordered anything and now it is time for automatic renewal of membership. I followed the website's directions on opting out of renewal or canceling membership. You cannot do it online and when I tried to opt out by phone it conveniently says there is an issue. The automated phone didn't have any problems with me typing in my membership number or getting to the right place to opt out but it will not let me do it. This place sucks! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

This is 1 of my absolute go to stores. They sell almost everything in bulk and yes you need to be a member, however they often have trial memberships that you can try out for 30-90 days or you are able to have one authorized user on your account. They have paper coupons and digital coupons. You're able to use store coupons with manufacturing coupons, which then you can upload your receipt onto any qualifying apps to save even more $. I find their prices very reasonable and the membership pays for itself in my opinion. You just have to go and see for yourself because this paragraph could easily become a book. Have a great day everyone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I purchased an Emerson 7.0 cubic feet upright freezer online for delivery. Delivery was fast, but the freezer had dents in 3 different places. Asked for replacement or refund and nearly two weeks lately, I am still waiting for a pick up of the product and refund because they never got back to me on a replacement.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Placed an order for a smart tv for pick up, the order was approved and charged and then reversed and canceled 3 times! The first 2 times a customer service representative told me it was because of discrepancies on my billing address, the last time and when I was just minutes to pick up got canceled because it was out of stock! A very disappointing first buyer experience at BJ’s! BTW still waiting for a manager to call me for a solution on this matter! So frustrating???

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This is the second time in two months since purchasing packaged food with bad packaging allowing sealed-in foods to be exposed to the environment. On this instance, I purchased Jack Daniels Seasoned Fully Cooked Pulled Port. Boxed item includes two sealed portioned pouches. One of the two was sealed correctly. The other pouch's seal was through their product, ie. not sealed. The food near the opened pouch was discolored white. Cost of the item at the BJ's Parkland, Florida location was $10.99. In this case trusting food purchased from BJ's Parkland could be a fatal decision.

When returning the item, Manager on Duty Ivan seemed to cop an attitude suggesting that he sees/hears these complaints quite often. His only suggestion was to refund the item or talk to store manager, Anthony **, when he returns sometime next week. When I asked Ivan whether it was possible that BJ's costs are lower than purchasing same item at grocery stores due to BJ's purchasing defective stock from leading manufacturers, Ivan neither agreed nor denied the statement. Considering this being my second time with two different products, and today's manager on duty somewhat agreeing, there seems to be a problem that will affect the health and well being of other customers, and should be reported to health officials. What good is buying wholesale if you could die doing it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Not all employees are rude but two specifically manager and one at the checkout exit. I made a complaint about the individual at the exit checking items, anyone ** would let them out quick but I as an Hispanic would go thoroughly in my cart knowing it was checked out by an associate. It made me feel like if I was stealing. Spoke to the manager about the incidents but it was like speaking to the wall never took action just said is doing his job. For that reason I will never place a foot in any BJ'S Wholesale stores. This happen at Mayslanding, New Jersey. Compared to Sam's wholesales BJ's is out of date.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Cuban butcher at the BJ's store in Ft Myers, Florida intentionally lied about the meat he was selling, and had repackaged it with an extended expiration date. I asked him twice if the meat was fresh and he lied to me twice. When I got home and opened the packaging, it was slimy and smelled foul and rotten, so I had to drive all the way back to the store to request a refund and explain to customer service what had happened, and asked that the general manager investigate the Cuban guy who tried to poison me with rotten meat from BJ's meat department this week.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I signed up for a credit card, didn't activate. Due to Covid, I can't shop, they agreed to cancel membership renewal. 3 months later and many 45 minute calls to them AND their bank. Promises, no action!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I ordered from BJ's online and when I received box, it had someone else's order with their packing slip which included their name, address, phone number and their Bj's account number. It took be 50 minutes to get through to customer service and once on it took one hour to figure out that I needed to repack the box and bring it to my lobby for UPS pickup in 1-5 days. Once they receive return items I would receive a refund. They refused to resend out my order and also more importantly they didn't care to research who may have gotten my personal information. Another phone call took 65 minutes and again on hold for over 30 minutes to be told that they could not identify who received my order with my personal information until it was returned and also refused to confirm who now has my personal information. This is a a breach of my personal security. I will be contacting their legal department.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have a company card and spend HUNDREDS of dollars with this company. I opted to have automatic renewal, that charges my company card and is linked with my BJ's account, to pay so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I noticed on my monthly credit card statement that BJ's charged $165 for a renewal of our membership. No problem, even though the fee went up $25 without notice. I went into my account to try to print a receipt for my work to reflect the payment charged on my credit card statement. The website shows only a $110 charge. I call the store for a printed receipt for the NEW charge, long story short, they can't give me one. She directs me to a customer service number to call.

I call the number and hold for 1.5 hours!! When I finally get someone, she tells me she will send me one via email. Waited 2 days...nope, no receipt. I call again and hold 15 mins and this person tells me she would resubmit another request to a different department and they will respond 3-5 days. I ask to speak to a supervisor...I hold another 15 mins. Then a recording comes on about rating the person and then I get disconnected. I can't believe I can't get a receipt and NO ONE AT THIS COMPANY CAN HELP ME!! WHAT A JOKE! Reference #** Shop at Costco or Sams!!

Original review: July 12, 2020

For the 2nd or 3rd time, I bought Wesley's Swiss Cheese in the 2 pound package. One again, the Swiss is GREEN MOLDED. (NOTHING NEW.) Called Corporate about 2 weeks ago. Gave the guy ALL required information and was told I would get a voucher in the mail. When? Is BJ's going to blame the P.O. or the coronavirus? 33 years of BJ's is enough for me! I see how much BJ's values long time customers who has been a member longer than most employees have been alive! Sam's and Costco, thank you for real Customer service.

Original review: July 12, 2020

BJ's was selling a sanitizer called Blumen. My boyfriend and I recently saw a news article online in Massachusetts about there being Methanol in this product so there was a recall on it. We purchased a few bottles from Bj's so we called the store and they said they would take them back. When we arrived at Bjs the girl at the courtesy desk was so rude. She stated there is no recall on the ones they were selling and when we asked why all lf it was pulled from their shelves she said it was a courtesy...to me that doesn't make sense. Mind you one of the symptoms is blurry vision in which my boyfriend has had recently while using this product. She only offered a gift card and not a refund. She was not pleasant at all. Customer service was horrible. The store is located in Southington CT.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I received an advertisement from BJ's on Monday and called my store to find out if the item was in stock. I was informed it was not, but since the item went on sale on Thursday to check back then. Today I have spent all morning calling my assigned store, a store I was told had it in stock (turned out it was the display & could not be sold) and BJ's customer service line (35 minutes on hold). End result answer from a lady named Ed was this item is sold out and not available in Florida.

Why would a company such as BJ's send this advertisement magazine out knowing this item is and will not be in stock. I believe this is a gross example of false advertisement specially in a time when people are encouraged to stay at home. I believe they want to make people come into their store to sell them other items. I have been a member since 2008 and am very disappointed - as there are many options to consumers I will be going elsewhere and encourage others to do the same.

Resolution response: Oct. 21, 2020

BJ's strung me along for a few weeks by email before I initiated a chargeback through PayPal. PayPal found in my favor, so I have my money back--although it was like pulling teeth.

Original review: June 8, 2020

A few weeks ago I joined BJ's as a one-day member on their website and purchased 4 rolls of landscape cloth. Only three arrived, one of them damaged (unboxed with a label slapped on), and the fourth still showing as "in transit"on the UPS site. Today, I used BJ's live chat app to get assistance with the missing package. After stating the problem, their customer rep Rizaldo asked me for my membership #. When I explained that I had used temporary membership to make my purchase, he terminated the chat. Assuming this last shipment is indeed missing, it looks like I will have to do a charge-back on the missing item.

Original review: June 7, 2020

My wife and I wanted to try BJ's; we have been going to Costco for years and decided to try BJ's Wholesale. Upon arriving at the customer service desk, my wife asked the Service Clerk if she could get a temporary/first time member account. The clerk, her name badge had several other items laying over it appeared to say "Yessin..."

After giving our information, the clerk proceeded to tell my wife that she didn't have an account. My wife then explained that that no, she wanted a temporary pass to try out the store. The clerk sighed, and said; so you want to open an account. My wife explained, for the second time, that she had received a letter in the mail inviting her to come in and try a temporary pass. The clerk then explained that if we joined, we could get the year for $25 instead of $50, instead of a temporary pass. She also said that if we didn't take the $25 deal, we would not get the offer again if we decided to join. We agreed to join.

The clerk then asked for my wife's ID. She presented her state issued, photo ID for concealed carry - it has her name, address, photo, etc. The clerk told her that she needed a state issued ID. It was, it just wasn't a driver's license. No problem, I gave the clerk my driver's license. But I said the address was not the latest. When ready, the rude clerk asked for the address. I was standing back with the cart, my wife began to give the updated address and the clerk shushed her, said she could only speak to the person with a "valid state ID".

I gave the address and when asked our phone and email as well. She gave us a folder, a receipt and a BJ's card. She said when we got home to visit the website to set up our account and link to the phone app. My wife had already downloaded the app to try to see what they sold and offers; but you needed an account to see coupons/sales. So while my wife shopped, I downloaded the app and tried logging in.

First, I couldn't get past the name - turns out I'm a Jr, so for the last name the clerk put both last name and Jr. Once I had the name correct, it asked for my email address and a password to create the log in. No matter what I tried, each time it returned with a "error registering". The address area, I put the correct address. No matter what I tried; an error continued. So I returned to the Customer Service desk.

Unfortunately, Yessin?? was available, so I returned to her. I explained that I could not get the App to link and asked if she would confirm the email. Without even looking, she told me "I put in the email you gave me." I explained that my email, which has my name, could be spelled multiple ways - the address was correct, so they only thing I could guess was the email. She sighed, then read to me the email (not the letters, but the name). I explained there was spelling options and showed her my login screen with the email and asked if they matched. She rolled her eyes and said yes, and again told me that she put in what I gave her.

So I asked her if there was some other reason I couldn't link my account; everything else on the screen was correct. Yessin?? then said, "just log onto our Guest Wi-Fi; that sometimes helps because the signal in here isn't very good." At this point, I admit I was very ticked off at the rudeness, lack of customer service and it was very clear I was the problem - she didn't care if I joined, was a member or got help. I told her I would not log into an unsecured Wi-Fi and enter personal information into the app. I had just checked my security cameras and email (I had checked to see if BJ's had sent anything when I joined, thinking it would confirm the email address). I had full bars, no signal issue.

I told her I would not use an unknown Wi-Fi and I had good signal. Yessin__ responded that was all she could do; having other people log into the Wi-Fi had solved their problem, and if I didn't want to log into the Wi-Fi there wasn't anything else she could do. I then told her that both of my experiences with her; joining and the help with the app were not positive experiences. I told her that as a new member, I was not thrilled with her service and did not appreciate our interactions. She just looked at me for a moment then said. "Sorry." with a look that said she was anything, but.

I can say that the check-out clerk, her assistant with the cart and door checker were all very pleasant. I went to the BJ's website, but they only had an option for calling - no email or chat; and in red it said the average wait time was 60-90 minutes. I get with the pandemic there are concessions to be made, but BJ's clearly not working on customer service (training, personnel or online).

Original review: June 2, 2020

I've been shopping at the BJ's in Oaks, PA since they opened. Always like the workers there. They have always been very courteous. The new guy Dave is rude. He's the guy who checks your receipts on the way out.

Original review: May 18, 2020

BJ's doesn't care about their loyal customers. I've been with them for over 20 years. They shipped me chairs that were damaged. They don't answer their phones. I went to store and they refused to take back chairs. They are the worst. Go somewhere else...

BJ's Wholesale Club Company Information