AJ Madison

ajmadison.com

Compare Appliance Stores

Research top Appliance Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had an unacceptable and horrible experience with AJ Madison. I initially ordered a refrigerator from them in early July. The salesperson I dealt with, Mendy ** charged my debit card an incorrect amount. Then he cancelled that transaction, but proceeded to try to charge my card 5 more times. Of course my bank put a block on my card, because they detected fraudulent activity. Instead of calling me, this salesperson, Mendy ** just continued to run my card, so my bank held my funds for 15 business days. I tried to contact AJ Madison on several occasions, but they never took any blame for their employee who should never have ran my card 5 times.

It took over a month to receive my refrigerator, and yet the story doesn't end there. I finally received my refrigerator after over a month, and the company AM Home Delivery they use was supposed to change the hinges on the fridge. They did not do the job properly, and that very night, my refrigerator door kept popping open. Thank god for my son, who is handy. He came home from work the next morning and spent over an hour taking the door apart, and he fixed it properly. Not to mention they charged me to haul away my old fridge. This company is completely incompetent! I advise anyone who even thinks about ordering from them DON'T ORDER FROM AJ MADISON!!!

I'm still waiting on order placed July 6. They said it will be put on a truck the end of this week & will take 7 - 10 days to arrive. They now are lying & say they don't offer installation or removal from the box. I've ordered a refrigerator, washer, & dryer.

We Ordered a Verona gas range and exhaust hood from A. J Madison of Boston, Mass. the last week in August 2015. The range finally arrived on Friday the 18th of September and I waited at the house for over an hour after I got the call telling me that the delivery guys would be there within 30 minutes. Had to take time off work to meet them. That evening when we had a chance to unbox the unit, it became apparent that there was shipping damage to the lower right panel. I emailed A.J. Madison immediately to be sure that we were within the allotted time to report damage. We received no reply from the email.

On Monday morning the 21st of September, I called A.J. Madison and was connected to a customer service employee by the name of Rachell **. She was very sympathetic and indicated that in many cases, a new panel is sent to the customer for replacement. This sounded good to me. She said that she would file the necessary paperwork and get back to me. This she did with an email on the 21st, asking for photo documentation of the damage and the serial number of the unit. This information was sent to her on the 22nd. Days went by with no reply. I sent another email on the 24th asking if she got the photos. She replied that due to the holidays she was not able to respond but that she would get back to me by the end of the day. She did not. I emailed again on the 24th. Here is the Auto response I received:

"Thank you for your email. I will be out of the office from 9/25 3 pm till Wednesday 10/1 9 am EST. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I will reply to your email when I return. Have a pleasant day." I did not have a pleasant day! And the date and day she quoted do not coincide on the calendar. Thursday was the first of October, not Wednesday. I was interested to know what holidays she had referenced and knowing that some Jewish holidays took place during the last part of September and the first part of October, I looked up a Jewish holiday calendar and compared the dates to the phone message that I got when I tried to call A.J. Madison to hopefully speak with someone directly.

The dates were in fact the holidays she mentioned. OK, we are OK with that but we had gotten no definitive answer as we expected before their holiday started. We waited patiently until Wednesday, October 7th when they were scheduled to be back in the office. I called and after 17 minutes was able to speak with a representative. I related the basic facts and she put me on hold for five minutes while she looked up to see if there was an update. She told me that there was no update but that someone would get back to me before the end of the day via email. Well, guess what? That did not happen either. I called again on Friday, October 8th and was told that the side panel had been shipped to The Appliance Hospital in Portland, Oregon and they would contact us to schedule an appointment for its installation. I received an email from Rachell on October 12th telling us the same thing that I learned on the 8th.

We received a phone call on the 9th of October from the Appliance Hospital letting us know that they were waiting for the part and would contact us when it was in. They emailed on the 12th indicating that the part was in and needed to set up the appointment for installation. I called them and the earliest opening that they had for service was on October 22nd and would call the day before with a three hour window of their arrival. I work for a living and this was not acceptable. I called Appliance Hospital and they were very accommodating. They indicated that they would call me 20 minutes before their expected ETA. The tech showed up after he called to let me know he was on the way. He was great and even helped me to align the oven doors that had gotten shifted during shipping. We finally got the range installed and we are really happy with it. We are not happy with the way A.J. Madison dealt with us and would not recommend them.

I purchased a washer dryer set from AJ Madison. The salesman sold me on the extended warranty through New Leaf. First issue is that it was damaged when it was received. AJ Madison did a good job and had it replaced quickly. Then exactly one year later the dryer went out. No problem right, after all I purchased the extended warranty. Well that company can't find anyone to service the sorter so basically, AJ Madison is selling a product that does not work and then they washed their hands off the order and that my only option is to talk to New Leaf and AJ Madison will have nothing more to do with it even though they sold a service that does not exist to me. So my advice is NOT to go through AJ Madison unless they are a local company for you to deal with.

Also, I would make sure that there is a local service provider to the equipment that they sell as they can have some "different" brand names that are not common in the US. I guess that this complaint is not necessarily about the product that I purchased but that they are selling a product that is non existent to many of their customers and they will not do anything about it. In the end, buy your large appliances locally. Do not get them online or you will suffer the same fate as I do with a large company that wants the large sales and add ons but then will not support a customer afterwards. Local companies rely on return customers and local word of mouth making them much more supportive.

I placed an order for a GE refrigerator paid for it and had nothing but aggravation! I advised the salesman that I have a built in Monogram that needs to be removed, his response “no problem!” AJ Madison could not find a company to remove the old refrigerator, I took action and had it done. Paid out of pocket. After further and complaint they gave me a lousy $200 towards an expense of $750, claiming they did not tell me to hire the company! The new fridge came a day later than promised, dented and not properly installed. I spoke to customer service and will send them pics and we shall see how they resolve this saga??? Business is competitive and customer service should be priority!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AJ Madison?

I ordered a stove. Received the stove the next day. So impressed. No damage to the box. Opened the box 6 days later and I had a damaged stove. The side was all pushed in and the top on side had a crease I called the company. Talked to Sera. Followed direction to send pictures. Been calling them for weeks. They will not return my call. I am stuck with a damaged stove but they got paid. Not happy.

I purchased a wall mountable microwave oven last week from their store. I was charged for the oven plus $75 installation plus $25 for removal of existing oven plus tax, all on my credit card. When their installer arrived he immediately informed me that he will not be able to install the microwave because of a half inch discrepancy and that he would have to drill into my kitchen backsplash which he is unauthorized to do. He left immediately without even unpacking the new oven.

When I called the store they told me that I will be charged a 25% restocking fee for cancelling my order. When I insisted to them that I did not cancel, that it was they who refused to do the work, they hung up on me. Other stores like PC Richard will first come out to your house to see if they can handle the installation job before taking any orders or charging your credit card. These crooks at AJ Madison are only interested in raking in profits with zero concern about customer service or relations. Never again!

I was so excited for my new fridge. So excited. I ordered it March 2nd. It's now March 29th and we have been getting the runaround for WEEKS. STILL NO FRIDGE. They blame the freight company, the freight company blames AJ Madison. I'll tell you what: I wish I would have looked at reviews before purchasing from this company. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM!!! From what other reviewers say, even if we cancel the order, we will have to fight to get our money back, AND they are going to charge restock fees etc. which were never mentioned in the first place. How in the world can a company like this even exist!?!?

We are between a rock and a hard place. Cancel and fight with them to get my money back? Wait for the fridge to actually come?? WILL it ever come??? We wonder if they are scamming us completely... is there even a fridge in transit? Maybe we'll never know. Thanks, AJ Madison, for completely taking the joy out of my first ever brand new fridge buying experience. You suck.

I purchased 3 GE kitchen appliances for my home from AJ Madison. During the purchase process a company representative phoned me to review the purchase and confirm the shipping address including final destination. One of the appliances, an oven range arrived dented and the owner's manual was missing. When I called AJ Madison to discuss the dent and missing owner's manual, I was informed that the warranty was null and void once it was shipped from the US to the Virgin Islands and that I should have uncrated it in Florida when it was delivered to the overseas shipping company to inspect it.

Not sure why the company representative would seem to be so helpful about getting the shipping address correct yet not inform me that the warranty would not hold up until it got to the final destination. We clearly discussed that the appliances were to be sent to the shipping company in Florida then on to me in St Croix at my expense. This gives me pause to wonder if they deliberately sent damaged goods. I have never had this type of experience in purchasing goods and shipping them to St Croix before.

I ordered a refrigerator from this outfit, and immediately started getting marketing scam such as extended warranty "offers" from them. Three days later, they informed me that the model I had ordered was not yet produced which is an outright lie - it is widely available. Instead, they offered a lousy "product" that they apparently don't know how to get rid of.

I purchased a Samsung Range from AJ Madison on 02/12/2017. It was delivered yesterday 02/22/2017 and, while I haven't had time to really put the range through its space, I could NOT be more satisfied with my buying experience. I was kept updated on the delivery via phone calls and timely emails. The delivery personnel could not have been more professional or polite. Customer Service at AJ Madison has been excellent. Absolutely no regrets and highly recommend. Looking forward to future purchases.

Beware, they drop ship some items directly from the manufacturer. Because of this, they lose visibility of stock and you will be charged for something that never shipped. If knowing the delivery date is important to you, I would not use this site. Also, the customer service agents are not very helpful and are quick to blame the manufacturer. The word "assume" was used by them several times regarding shipping in my interaction with them. Too much undue stress for such big ticket items, look elsewhere.

We ordered a $1500 replacement oven from AJ Madison when our oven died and the manufacturer would not replace it. Within 24 hours of purchase we received a call from the manufacturer saying that they changed their mind and would indeed place it. I called AJ Madison to cancel the order, and they said that they couldn't because it already shipped. I called the shipping company and they said that they haven't even picked up the oven from the warehouse of AJ Madison. I told the shipping company not to pick up the unit and called AJ Madison back. The representative a AJ Madison said they would look into what was happening and email me.

I received an email a few hours later stating that as far as they are concerned the order has shipped, and we had 48 hours to inform them that we would either take the order, or incur all shipping costs plus a 30% restocking fee! What shipping costs? What restocking fee? It hadn't even left the warehouse! We emailed back and told them NOT to ship the oven to us. The next business day we checked the tracking number with the shipper and saw that they picked up the unit that day! So in essence what AJ Madison and their shipper did was refuse to allow us to cancel our order and we are now forced to pay all return/restock fees or accept the order and try to sell it on eBay. This is the definition of a scam. DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH AJ MADISON.

I recently purchased a washer & dryer from AJ Madison. I ordered it on a Tuesday afternoon and received in Louisiana the following Monday. Delivery was on time and the guys brought it in the house. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service I received. I received it quicker ordering it online than if I had purchased it locally, I didn't have to pay a delivery charge and the items I ordered were in stock. Great service!

I ordered over $7,000 of appliances. Shipped later than advised with multiple miscommunications on the shipping. Refrigerator, LG, was inoperable and again difficulty getting communication on return, after 2 days still waiting to hear. Micro didn't arrive with package two days ago and still waiting to hear when it might arrive. BUY LOCAL, it might cost more money but well worth it if you value good service and your time. I have hours into this without satisfaction.

Canceled an order one week ago. The order was never shipped, never delivered, but our credit card was charged $ 4.700.00. Presently fighting like hell to get the credit. Issued a formal complaint against the company with Chase Bank. Be careful with these folks and your credit card. Real quick to charge the card - REAL SLOW to issue and credit. We still don't have our credit.

I ordered a Viking Range 1 year ago. Had problems with the door sealing. Viking sent two new doors and couldn't get it right. Had A.J. Madison refund my money. Had problems since the unit arrived a year ago.A. J. decided to keep my money ($400.00) for my extended warranty and now will not return calls. They said it was too long ago. WHAT?? It is a five year warranty. Had it one year. My dear friend at A.J. Ivy in customer service won't return a call or answer my many attempts to get her on the phone. Terrible company to deal with. Don't do it!!!

This company advertised a credit card and 0% interest installment payments over 12 months. After I placed the order online using their credit offer, I received a call from customer service that I could not use the installment plan on the particular item I ordered and had to provide my own payment method and pay in full. Then when I asked them to confirm the size of the shipping container, they lied about the size of the package. I paid for white glove delivery to ensure that delivery would be completed to my third floor walk up. They assured me it would be done. After two failed delivery notifications, they showed up on the third delivery date and left the package in my driveway claiming the shipping container could not make it up the stairs.

Customer service is terrible. Can not get through on the phone. Annoying recordings only bring you to hold forever on the phone, no pick up... Or leave a message and never get a return call. Have no idea when my appliance will arrive. It's been 10 days and can not find out a thing... I won't be shopping here again. Tracking info still tells me processing, when my cc has been charged. What's up with that??

I read all the reviews on AJ Madison & AM home delivery, & it made me want to cancel my order. The one negative on them is they charge a 30% restocking fee. That is really unfair. No other company does that. Just be aware of that. They said my fridge would be here in 3 to 10 days, and it came in 8, and AM kept me informed. The men that delivered it and installed it were great. Most reviews I read on AM home delivery were not very good. I can't stress enough how professional and helpful they were. The ONLY reason I would not recommend AJ Madison is that 30% restocking fee. Love my new LG refrigerator.

I ordered a Samsung refrigerator online. Delivery was two hours late and the unit never worked. It's now 9 pm and we're on the phone and are told that it's our issue. They installed the unit so it's between me and Samsung. Samsung repair customer service does not return phone calls and neither does AJ Madison. Shop elsewhere my friends.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We ordered a Samsung kitchen package about 3 weeks ago. Three beautiful, black stainless, top of the line appliances came through our door as expected. The fourth item, a microwave, was plain stainless, definitely not what we'd ordered. After several phone calls and emails and receiving condescending and brusque responses from customer service, we finally got to the bottom of the issue. The original black stainless microwave was out of stock and, according to customer service, the order was changed to reflect the microwave delivered and we would have HAD to give permission for that to take place. Um, NOPE, no notification was sent to us concerning changing our order and I would have never agreed to a mismatched appliance.

After a full day of wrangling with this company, they finally reordered the correct microwave and waived the restocking fee. End of problem? Well, of COURSE not! The new invoice stated that the protection plan had been declined and another $99 delivery fee was tacked on. Now we're dealing with getting the original protection plan purchased for this appliance transferred or voided with repurchase of a new protection plan to cover the reordered microwave. Hopefully, we'll get the second $99 delivery charge refunded, as we had already paid to have the CORRECT appliances delivered and, as of yet, that hasn't occurred.

I hope to be able to update this review with a good outcome. The appliances that arrived as ordered were gorgeous and undamaged and the delivery personnel were professional and polite. The inflexible response from customer service set an adversarial tone from the outset. It's taken a lot of time and effort to unearth the details as to how this situation arose to begin with. They have admitted no error on their part and offered no apology for the inconvenience. A simple "we screwed up, how can we make it right?" would go a very long way with me.

First off you need to be aware this place is in New Jersey if you are across the country! Who could ever expect to receive an appliance in good working order being trucked all the way across the country! I placed an order not knowing how far they were and that it was going to take an excess of 2 weeks. Who can live w/out a refrigerator for that amount of time, all because they are cheaper and don't charge sales tax. Worst experience of my life! These people are dishonest and will take your money! Also when I placed my order there was nothing on their website about a restocking fee and that my friends is illegal to state that after the fact.

They said I could track my order, but when they sent tracking info simply said it was in transit, that is when i found out it was shipping from New York. It took them a week just to ship the item. I then started to call the shipping company to sit on hold for over an hour to still get no answers. "IN TRANSIT" is all I got from them. Then I call AJ ** and start asking them questions as to when I would receive. They say "it's in transit."

I also asked "if the item is scratched or damaged in any way can I return?" They say "Yes you can and we will charge you a 30% restocking fee!" Are you kidding me! They make money delivering defective items to never refund your money!!! I am now in the process of finding a small claims attorney to further take care of this matter because the end result I got tired of waiting and had to purchase from Sears which delivered a brand new unit the very next day. DON'T USE THIS PLACE OR YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY YOU DID.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I bought a Summit stove from AJ Madison. It was not the el cheapo model and I also paid for delivery, installation and removal of the old unit from a rental unit that is located in the house I live in. The stove showed up on time - actually before time - and the people who showed up also installed it. I was out of town and was not able to check out the installation personally.

However, the installers: did not bother to remove the advertising tag from the front of the oven - 5 minutes with a razor blade is all it took me. Worse, the gas connection had a small leak and my tenants complained of a natural gas smell in the kitchen. I contacted AJ Madison by email and got no response over three days. Called a local plumber who just fixed the problem - the flex hose was not tightened where it connected to the gas supply. Half a turn loose. He reset the connection, checked the system for leaks - no more gas smell. I'm now stuck with a $150 bill that I will forward to AJ Madison but my guess is that they will never pay it. Conclusion: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE. 'nuff said.

I shop online - Amazon, Home Depot, Houzz - NO ONE has a return policy that charges a 30% restocking fee ($36) and insist that you send the item (cost $34) the same way you received it - a total of $68 dollars on a $129.00 item. So the total cost to me to return is $72.00 or over half what the item costs. In addition I do not give my email online but did so with them for the order and then received over 75 solicitations to my email. This is not a reputable company. I would never do business with them again. This is the first negative review I have ever done so trust me don't order from them.

This is the third appliance we have purchased from AJ Madison, the first two purchased were great so we contacted AJ Madison on 6/26 and placed an order with David ** for a GE built in oven model PT7050DF4WW and 58 yr. service plan. In placing the order Mr. ** stated that there would not be any delivery charge and that installation would cost $30.00 dollars which we would have to pay the delivery company. He was unsure if there would be an additional $30.00 charge to remove the old oven.

This is what we understood and placed the order. When we received the order confirmation, we noticed that the delivery street address was wrong and there were no additional delivery instructions. I called Mr. ** and left a message that the address was incorrect. I also called AM Trucking and was told I had to contact AJ Madison. Mr. ** returned our call and left the message we had to contact customer service, he could not help correct the problem.

On 6/27 I called customer service and held from some number in line to next in line for approximately an hour, no one ever answered and was disconnected. The next day I again called and held for a considerable period never advancing in the queue. I then left a message as instructed. No one returned my call. A few days later, concerned, I again contacted AM Trucking, this time the person answering was helpful and contacted AJ Madison and someone from accounting did call and corrected the address.

The delivery was prompt after notification, however AM Trucking delivery stated they were only to deliver and remove and install. To install they wanted $230.00 dollars and asked if we wanted the old oven removed but not telling us that this was not part of the delivery service. However, I had to do most of the disconnect of the electrical. Before leaving they demanded $30.00 for removal which we paid.

We emphasized the importance of receiving the appliance within a couple days, and were assured that was not a problem. But, it is a problem. The appliance never arrived. Can't reach anyone at the delivery company, and AJ customer service cannot assure delivery. I'm now trying to get a refund. What a nightmare!

Unit came damaged. It has been almost 1 week sitting in my garage. They offered to send out another unit but I declined and wanted a refund. They said they needed to alert the transportation company for you before they would issue a visa credit. Well 1 week gone by, they are slow playing me so not to start my refund. What a bunch of low lifes. Rating my experience 0.0.

The only thing I did right when I purchased an LG Double Oven (LWD3010ST) from AJ Madison (online) was to purchase the extended 5-year warranty (New Leaf Warranty company). This oven has been "repaired" so many times that I am about to run out of warranty and I still have over 2 years of time left on the warranty, but nearly no money. As soon as New Leaf hits the $2400 mark in repairs, then they have "fulfilled the terms of the warranty". This oven is a LEMON and AJ Madison will not do anything to replace it. New Leaf Warranty will not do anything except keep applying band-aids in the form of short term repairs. DO NOT BUY THIS OVEN and DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AJ MADISON.

Dryer came damaged. Customer service promised redelivery but then 1 week later stated it would be another 2 weeks to ship. No interest in customer recovery even from service manager Deborah. Rude and unresponsive in communications.

AJ Madison Company Profile