4.10/5
Based on 281 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Edison, NJ

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Abe’s of Maine was founded in 1979 as a small, family owned electronics retailer in Maine. We have since grown into different states in the northeast region, but our commitment to our customers and outstanding customer service has not changed.

Providing for our customers is our top priority. Our knowledgeable staff is waiting to help you find the right electronics to meet your needs.

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

576 Abe's of Maine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

The only star reduction I can place here is for a lack of line item pricing being visible on the receipt from a previous order. I ordered a number of items and the representative was friendly in assisting that order. The receipt only had a price next to one line item while every other item had a $0.00 price association, making me question the accounting leading to my total. Aside from that, Abe’s is awesome!

Get expert buying tips about Appliance Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I searched and search all over the network and all the camera stores and this was consistently the best price offered. I have waited a long time to purchase this camera so I took my time. This was the lowest and best price. A wonderful new camera and no delivery fees. This is a win, win for me. Thank you Abe's of Maine. I am waiting for my new purchase, meanwhile I am looking for a lens. I may be back sooner than you think.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I could not be happier with the products that I found during the spring sale. The prices cannot be touched anywhere else! Beleive me, I spent several hours looking and nobody could even come close. Thank you Abe's! I am looking forward to showing off some pictures from my new camera.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Best price and bundle that I could find for the camera I wanted to purchase as a gift for my daughter. Looked at many different websites and Abe's was the best that I could find, plus free shipping. Will shop here again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

On April 4th, I wanted to purchase a new Nikon D850. I had gotten a loan at my bank specifically for this purchase. On their site it states that "All Products include USA Manufacturer's Warranty unless otherwise stated." The website said that the camera body was in stock for the price of $3,249. Nowhere in the description of the D850 did it say ANYTHING about this camera being a non-USA model that was to be sold in Southeast Asia. The person I talked to (Jeff **) then told me that it was in fact not in stock, but I could pay more ($550 more) to get it in a kit that had extra items in it. Since the Nikon D850 was back ordered everywhere, including at Nikon USA, I decided to pay the extra for the camera body since I needed for upcoming paid jobs (I'm a professional photographer).

The camera arrived 5 days later in the retail box that includes a lens (Nikkor 24-120 zoom). Upon opening the box, the lens had been removed, and the ONLY items in the box besides the camera body were a battery, battery charger, USB connection cable, camera strap, and the manual. However, there was NO warranty card in the box at all. On the outside of the box, it listed the included items, which are listed exactly as this: Strap, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, Battery Charger, USB Cable, User's Manual, and Warranty. So what Abe's had done was to strip everything out of the box that was SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED in the retail kit, and then charge me an extra $550 to add them back in the box. I then sent Abe's an email on April 7, the day the camera arrived, and asked them if I was charged an extra $550 to put the supposedly including items in the box that were normally included.

I received an email on April 8 stating to call them on Monday so that their customer service department could clear up the issue. On Monday morning, after being on hold for almost 45 minutes, their customer service rep finally answered, who was also Mr. **, the guy who sold me the camera over the phone. What transpired next ended up being completely surreal. He started yelling at me, calling me a liar, and told me that he shipped me "exactly" what I ordered! I told them that I would then report them to the BBB, and then he started yelling at me not to threaten him! THIS was their "customer service" rep I was trying to talk to! I would NEVER order a gray market camera that costs several thousand dollars! A gray market camera comes with no Nikon USA warranty, can't be serviced at all in the United States, and if Nikon USA comes out with a firmware upgrade for the US model, it won't work on mine.

The serial number for this camera body, after some internet research, showed that THIS camera was supposed to be for sale in Southeast Asia (It started with the numeral 8). All legitimate cameras for the US market start with the numeral 3. A couple of days later I sent their service department an email asking them to respond, and as of today (April 16, 2018) they have not answered back.

I went and did a little more internet investigation and found out that they have dozens of complaints on the BBB, and literally thousands of complaints from all over the internet. Even NBC News did an article about their scam tactics. So to sum it up, I ordered what I thought was a USA Manufacturer's Warranty version of the Nikon D850 body, did NOT receive what I expected (bait and switch), and wasn't informed that I was ordering a gray market camera with no warranty, and since the transaction was more than $400, this has become felony fraud. And this company continues to operate with impunity in the state of New Jersey and needs to be stopped cold.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abe's of Maine?

Original review: April 16, 2018

Looks like a great deal on a 65” TV BUT after you order you will be notified that “insurance” must be added - website mentions possible insurance but since it is not included in agreed price you assume it is not required. WRONG. They called and said “insurance” was $388.00! Really reduces the bargain price and is VERY deceptive - they obviously know what the price of this alleged insurance will be and they just want to call and upsell you - turns a great experience into a terrible one. I still kept the order but the deal was not nearly as the one I agreed to online.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Oled 65 inch TV - Ordered TV, good price and no shipping charge. They called me to advise me that insurance costs $388.00. This was not indicated on the website. Price is still good but I feel used, I may cancel... BEWARE!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Having been completely satisfied with purchasing my Nikon D7100, I knew I could depend on Abe's for the purchase of a new lens, at a great price. While I found comparable pricing for the lens I needed, they were all refurbished. But Abe's of Maine had it as a "New" product. Very pleased.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Camera lens purchase - The ordering process went well, except for the fraud check, which took a little longer, but assured me my card is safe. I appreciate that little time spent to safeguard my credit card. I hope the product arrives on time and works as advertised.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I was looking to upgrade my cameras. Didn't really want to pay everything up front. I was able to get approved for financing with 6 months no interest. Only took 5 minutes to get approved. Thanks ABE'S for making things easy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I compared this tv to be $300 lower than both Walmart and Amazon with a great selection. Easy buying with finance options. Products are easy to compare, shipping is free, all in all I would recommend anyone to this merchant.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Purchased an item for $245. Received an email to phone to verify. Upon phoning told that although the item is showing in stock, it's not and it's discontinued. Then told they had a $600 lens for $400 they could do instead. "No thanks, please refund." "Well it's an expensive lens, maybe we could do for $375." "No thanks refund, I didn't want to spend $400." "It's not $400. Maybe you want to buy a different lens, that's nothing like the original one?" "No thanks. Please refund and cancel. I will go somewhere else and buy what I want." "Well we know where to find you." Seriously? Terrible. Seriously the worst experience I have had online. I will be writing to the BBB and leaving reviews.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Tried to purchase Canon 5D Mark IV online, then “Jeff” asks me to call so I can verify the purchase. I call, he places me on hold for 5 minutes. When I call back, he places me on a hold again. Then tells me the battery doesn’t come with the camera and it would be $129 to add a battery. I say, "No thank you," he puts me on hold and when he comes back says that he can do it for $29 instead. I say, "No thank you, please cancel the order”. Jeff then insults me and says I don’t deserve to place an order. I went to a different website where they have Deals All Year long and made a purchase that I’m happy with.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My order was easy. I can't speak for the shipping experience or the receipt of the product as I just ordered it, but the web page was well laid out and the information was easy to read. The checkout was easy too.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My 1st time and successful time. You have the products I need with the availability of financing. Products are new and in stock. Will continue to do my shopping here and you have the products needed for my Photography work. Great.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My neighbor told me about Abes of Maine, great service and selection, not to mention price too. Much better shopping experience than Sams. I was inclined to try Amazon, but their prices are outrageous. Keep up the good work. I will post another comment once the tv is delivered.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Jennifer at ext. ** was such a great help in helping do my order and put me at ease on making my purchase when I was very apprehensive. I give her a big shout out and what a great employee and person to deal with. I truly believe this and have a nice day.

Original review: April 3, 2018

The prices with Abe's of Maine are incredible. I can't wait for my camera to arrive. Also, they were able to finance my camera and I can pay it off within 6 months and I won't be charged any interest! =)

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have read good things about Abe's of Maine, and I hope that they live up to their reputation. The website has been easy to navigate and shop for what I wanted. It's a good price and should be brand new. I'll post once I get it.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I just purchased a lens online, and needed assistance with how to pay with two different cards. I called Abe's of Maine and was immediately and efficiently assisted! I am looking forward to receiving my lens in the mail! Thanks!

Original review: April 2, 2018

You made it very easy to apply and thank you. I have been researching affordable camera lens for over a year and this one just happened to be in my price range. Lucky me. I am looking forward to using my new lens.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Do not buy from Abe's. Their website services and practices are deceiving. They advertised a lens on sale for March Madness. Nothing in the description identifies it as a "Grey Market or International Lens." I purchased online and got a call telling me my card was declined. I have verified with my bank that the card was NEVER declined for any amount. The caller then told me the lens was not in stock but he could give me a deal on a USA lens and through in some free shipping and lens filters. These items (except for free 2 day shipping) were already included in my original purchase.

I called the following day to cancel my order and was yelled at by at Stephan and told my bank was lying to me about the declined amounts. Why would my bank lie to me??!! I have since verified it with my bank. They told me the lens had already shipped by 10 am the next day even though my account showed it had not shipped yet so they would not let me cancel the purchase. They have a 15% "restocking fee" that would have cost me $150.00 if I do send the lens back. Stephen gave me a $25 refund on the lens to appease me. I appreciate that but it did not satisfy my feelings of being deceived by Abe's of Maine.

Additionally I bought a memory card holder that was on sale, marked down from $84.95 to $12.95. The photo is of a hardcover plastic card holder that will hold up to 8 cards. What I received is a pleather card holder that will hold 4 cards. A made in China (tag in it) that "MIGHT" cost $3.95 not on sale. Not only is their staff incredibly rude but they practice bait and switch with their customers.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I do underwater photography and nature photography here in Florida. I didn't have a way of insuring my camera and new lens are compatible as clearly as I would like on your site. But based on your site, I feel the Sony e-mount lens was meant for the Sony a7rII camera I have purchased. It didn't say if the body included a battery, so you might indicate that for folks. The order process didn't give me a way to express these questions, as it's nearly 8:00 PM Saturday Evening eastern time, and I doubt you are open to calls at this time. Overall it was an easy experience! Thanks. PS: a follow up email indicating compatibility makes my $3,200.00 Investment a bit more comfortable.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I just ordered a number of products from Abe's of Maine - a Nikon D750, 50mm prime lens, and accessories. The experience was good and the prices were some of the best I could find on the internet. I was able to purchase these and come in below my budget. I saw a few reviews with some negative feedback, but I'm hoping my overall experience will be easy and free. I would gladly come back and give a full 5 stars if I receive my order problem free, and be a returning customer.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Best price we could find anywhere, with free shipping too! We looked online through several sources, and found your price to be the best. Looking forward to receiving the new camera Nikon D7500!! Hopefully it comes by the suggested delivery date, as it is a birthday gift!

Original review: March 31, 2018

Purchase LG 4K Ultra OLED 65 inch Smart TV - I was turned on by an old customer who in the past had purchased a TV for the same amount roughly 14 years ago! The website was easy to navigate and so far so good! I am really hoping I receive my TV within a week instead of 2 weeks!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I love this company. They have the best electronics. Happy with my purchase. Customer service is exceptional. They have great variety for everyone. Great financing offers also. Ted who's in customer service is very helpful. Looking at the Sony models.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Easy to use site, good deals. Glad to find a camera store that I feel like I can trust. Looking forward to the arrival of my Canon 7D. Planning on using the site again in order to purchase accessories or shop for other products.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We have bought several products including cameras and lenses from Abe's of Maine. Thier site is clean and is very easy to order. Abe's customer support is also very good. They are very easy to work with and courteous. They have good price and are reliable.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was so looking forward purchasing an item from Abe's of Maine. It took me all day to finally reach someone from customer service. The guy who picked up the phone was so rude. I never experienced someone being so nasty to me like this before. I didn't even had a chance to ask him about the product, because after he called me a piece of **, and that I shouldn't be calling them. I just hang up on him. I would never ever do any business with this company. I am so disgusted with them.

Abe's of Maine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979 as an electronics retailer, Abe's of Maine has expanded to offer a complete line of appliances, camera equipment and other consumer electronics. Despite the name, their store location is in Linden, NJ.

• Fast shipping times: Most products ship within 24-48 hours, allowing for a very quick delivery compared to the industry standard of 1-3 weeks.

• Three year extended warranties: The Abe's of Maine extended warranty includes the original manufacturers warranty for the first year, and matches that level of service for the remaining coverage period.

• Flexible payment options: At Abe's of Maine you are able to pay with cash, credit or Paypal.

• Free shipping: For regular freight with a 6-8 day delivery time, shipping is free.

• Expansive catalog: Not only does Abe's of Maine carry all major brands, they also have several models from each brand.

• Best for: Frugal shoppers and big families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs