It's that easy Request Information
4.00/5

Edison, NJ

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Abe’s of Maine was founded in 1979 as a small, family owned electronics retailer in Maine. We have since grown into different states in the northeast region, but our commitment to our customers and outstanding customer service has not changed.

Providing for our customers is our top priority. Our knowledgeable staff is waiting to help you find the right electronics to meet your needs.

View More View More

963 Abe's of Maine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Super easy! Had the Canon 5d mark iii body's in stock and great pricing on the Canon 5d mark iv! Ended up getting the 5 and can't wait to finally use it this year! Lots of fun projects! Defiantly will come shop here again!

Get expert buying tips about Appliance Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

First order with company - seen reviews - for camera lens very good - let's see how this works. Price is best that I have been able to find for a Canon 100 - 400 mm zoom lens and this is a lens that I have been checking out for over a year looking for the very best deal - hopeful that I will be 100% satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Here's how these crooks operate: They list products for extremely cheap, usually during some holiday sale. You order, usually with free shipping and you get an invoice for the correct amount. They also have an automatic pop up for a form to fill out with feedback. This feedback is actually sent directly to the site you're reading this review on; Consumeraffairs.com. Your positive review is posted. This is the reason why their rating is still so high on this website.

Then, usually the same day you placed the order, you get charged on your credit card for $250 to $300 MORE than the invoice that was emailed you and around the same time you get an email saying that they need to confirm the transaction. This is when they finally explain the scam to you: "The product is glass; the laws require shipping insurance; blah, blah blah. We'll throw in free white glove shipping, though!" They will never email you an updated fraudulent invoice. The customer support rep will invariably have a horrible attitude to try and intimidate you into accepting the fraudulent markup. Stay firm, demand the invoice price and threaten to complain to the Better Business Bureau (and then do it). Your best bet is to avoid this company. If you've already made a deal, save your original invoice, try and get that price again. If they provide it, dispute the charge with your credit card and file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is not my first purchase from Abe’s of Maine and as usual I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Shopping online is quick and easy. Everything I needed was available. I will continue to shop here for a long time to come.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Abe's of Maine had the lowest price and easy checkout along with free shipping of a rather large television. Will provide more feedback depending on the quality of the product being shipped out to us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abe's of Maine?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Amazing! I will always order from Abe's of Maine. Their products are amazing and the service is great. They call you before they ship your order to make sure you have everything and if you want to add anything. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I was looking to upgrade my Nikon D5100 to the D5600 and found an awesome price at Abe’s Presidents Day Sale. I understood that it was for the camera body only. Hence, the rock bottom price. I didn’t need any batteries or cards because the D5100’s are fully interchangeable. Admittedly, the EL EN 14A has a higher capacity, but I have four EL EN 14’s and do not need the upgrade. The day after my order was placed, I get the call from Adam. He is going to process the order right away, but do I have the “special” SD card? Yes. I knew I didn’t need a special card. Well, which battery do I want? Oh, is the battery included? (I knew it wasn’t). "Well, no but since you are financing this at no interest, you might as well buy the battery now." No thank you Adam. Pays to do your homework when you deal with this company! I have never received a follow up call from Amazon or Best Buy when ordering electronics and I did not appreciate this one!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I purchase a TV online since the price seems too good to be true, was told to call as many before me were told to do to confirm order, when I called they told me there was a $250 shipping and insurance cost to Florida. Guy I talked and talked to was a total jerk, told me that is just the way it is. I mentioned that your website offers free shipping and well as the very invoice they sent me said the same thing, he told me in a ** attitude last time we talk he would not take a penny less so I told him what they could do with the TV, few minutes later I got an ordered canceled e-mail. I am not the first to have this experience so why are these crooks still in business? STAY CLEAR OF THEIR PEOPLE. CROOKS!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been looking for a Nikon 24-70 (20052) for quite some time. I was checking out prices and couldn't resist the Presidents Day Sale on this fantastic lens. So I purchased it! Checkout was very easy and the website was easy to maneuver. So excited to get it!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The price is accurate no tax or shipping surprises. I like that straight to the point. Best price on the internet. I plan on doing business with you in the future just take of me... and ship in timely manner. Then I am a happy man.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I looked for the lowest price and I think I found it. So, in about three easy minutes, I ordered the camera. It was painless. I have dealt with Abe's of Maine before and everything was fine. They shipped the product I ordered and the product worked as expected. I would recommend Abe's of Maine to anyone who asked.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The website was easy to use and I like free shipping! Pricing was great as well. I found you on Google and was pleasantly surprised at your pricing vs. Amazon. I did not have to address sales tax either which is one less fight in my day!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

So in summary for my review, I will increase my rating if the TV arrives by next Friday. Otherwise, the online experience was fine. Appreciate it and hope that I get a great tv for a great price. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I just placed a second order for a camera. When I placed the first order I was contacted by Abe's to confirm the order and was told that the camera would be sent. It didn't arrive within a couple of weeks so I contacted customer service via email but never heard back from them so have re-ordered the camera. Hope I get it this time!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This was a great place to shop. Returning customer, Jeff ** was a great help. Will be back to Abe's of Maine for future purchases. My last purchase of Nikon D500 was a great experience, fast prompt shipping. I'm now adding a Nikon D850 to my business. Thanks Abe's of Maine.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought a camera from Abe's of Maine online February 1st. Unfortunately I did not look at the reviews at DPReview (a camera site) and Consumer Reports. Abe's of Maine (in New Jersey) has a history of doing bait and switch. According to multiple customer reports, and also my experience, when you buy something online you get an email saying that the purchase needs to be confirmed by calling them on the phone. It is in that phone conversation that the bait and switch happens. A camera I bought online went up $250 dollars when I spoke to their representative on the phone. While the ad on their website did not indicate this in any way, the rep told me the price I paid was for the camera- but not the battery, the charger or the strap. He said if he sent me the camera at the price I paid I would not be able to use it because it would not have a battery. The cost for the battery, charger and strap, not surprisingly, took it to full retail cost.

While the rep was ripping me off he acted like he was doing me favors: expedited shipping! I'll throw in the wireless remote for free! "God bless!" "Enjoy your camera in good health!" When I called back and spoke with someone else and told them I knew they were doing bait and switch they got nasty. I asked if the camera had been shipped yet, and this rep said it had. It hadn't. It was around 7am PST and I got an email when the shipping label was created late in the day in New Jersey, and then shipped in the evening of that day. If he hadn't lied to me and told me it had shipped when it hadn't- I would have cancelled the order. Read the reviews online. You can search for "Abe's of Main- reviews" and the picture will become clear really soon. Please don't become the victim of bait and switch like I did.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I would never do business with Abe's of Maine again. Despite numerous attempts to contact their "customer service" department, they never answered the phone or replied to my online requests for help. I ordered it online partly because they advertised free shipping. But after I placed the order, they called to say there was a $200 "shipping insurance" that increased the cost. When I balked at this, they said that because I am older than 65, they would provide "white glove" delivery where they would set up and connect my TV for me.

I agreed, thinking since I would need help to lift the TV and set it up. When the TV arrived, the delivery crew said they knew nothing about white glove delivery. All they would do was remove it partly from the box, plug it in to see if it had power, then leave it on the floor for me to deal with. Do not do business with these people. They will lie to you and then ignore you when you ask them to correct the problem.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I don't know how I came across your website but I sure am happy I did. I usually shop at B&H but you certainly have stopped me in my tracks. From now on your business will be a go to first for me. Thanks so much.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Easy to order LG OLED65E8P 65" 4K UHD HDR OLED webOS 4.0 Smart TV. Cannot wait to get this TV. Read so many good reviews. All four 1/2 to five stars with people saying it is the very best picture they ever saw on a TV!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Purchase Nikon D7200 - Online selection is HUGE. Pricing is excellent. Finance options are extremely easy to use! Hopefully I can purchase Solmeta equipment from your firm as well as Geotagging is a requirement for my customer. Looking forward to receiving my new camera!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Website was easy to use and fast. Your bundle options should have better options as for the lenses but still very good with all the filters. Maybe a faster pair of lenses instead of all the bundle stuff or even a second battery with the lenses.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

After shopping for a new TV, I found the model I wanted listed on Abe’s of Maine for $400 cheaper than any other outlet. Thinking I'd found a great deal, I made the purchase online. Forty-five minutes later, I receive a call from a NJ number (not Maine...WTF?) wanting to go over my order. First, they wanted to verify I had made the order (fair enough, but a tactic used to get you in the habit of saying "yes"). Next, the sales rep explains there will be a $26 shipping and insurance fee associated with my purchase. This frustrates me a bit because the online checkout said free shipping. I explain this to the sales rep, and he tells me that it's clearly stated on their website via a map of the states that require a shipping and insurance fee.

But, out of the kindness of his heart, he'll throw in free "white glove" service, meaning the delivery personnel will bring the TV into my home, unpackage it, plug it in to verify it works, and remove the packaging (more on this scam later). Thinking I was in the wrong and missed something obvious, I agree to the $26 shipping fee. After hanging up, I immediately go online to repeat the checkout process and see where I missed this "shipping and insurance" map. I type in my state, click the "calculate shipping" button, and get a "$0" reply, same as before. I'm sure many of you will be surprised to find out the "shipping and insurance" map is nowhere on their website.

Now, I'm getting a little pissed about being lied to, so I do a little more research. I read the return policy, which lists a bunch of things excluded from returns, to include "TVs." The only way to return an item is to refuse delivery, which is only possible if the item is unopened and in the original packaging (remember that "white glove service" where they are so kind as to open your TV immediately upon arrival...so kind). Now, sensing that I've been scammed pretty good, I pull up my checking account to verify I don't have any unauthorized charges. Come to find out, that "$26" shipping fee was actually a $240 shipping fee, bringing my total cost to $2600 on the invoice (an invoice which still listed my shipping and handling fees as $0...go figure).

Now, there is no doubt in my mind the sales rep told me $26 dollars, and by now I'm sure there's no doubt in your mind that when I called to dispute this order and cancel it, the rep told me he said "twenty-six HUNDRED"...yeah, no. When I called to cancel, the rep (Jeff) was extremely pushy and rude (same as when he called me to "verify" the shipping costs.) He continually cut me off, refused to let me as a question, talked over me when I was listing my concerns, etc, etc. When I finally told him I would appreciate if he would cancel my order, he tried to throw in a wall mount for free. When I declined, he tried to throw in a $100 rebate. After I declined that, he said "I'll cancel your order" and hung up on me. Just great customer service.

I've yet to receive a cancellation confirmation, and now every time I call in attempt to get a cancellation confirmation #, it goes straight to voicemail rather than a live associate (don't know if they have my phone # programmed to block now). I've left three messages and have yet to receive a call back (it's been roughly 8 business hours). The charge has yet to be refunded on my card. STAY CLEAR OF THIS RETAILER, unless you like hidden charges, trap policies, and dealing with horrible customer service from dopes who think they're auditioning for a spot in Goodfellas.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I believe everything has gone very well thus far. I appreciate the wonderful amount of information provided on your products. This made my decision making process much easier. I will be inviting friends and family members to join and take advantage of your services, provided they are in need.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Lens purchase - Website is very informative. I was able search for what I wanted with ease. You had a great selection. I like the variety of your merchandise as well. The item description was well worded. The pictures were great. I appreciate the website very much.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Excellent purchase, great service. Excellent pricing and superior selection. The pricing is unbelievable, the selection is second to none. I made my first purchase from Abe’s several years ago a 65” LED TV which I still own. I was searching for another TV and Abe’s was my first choice!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Shopping and checkout was fast and easy. I was able to navigate and locate all items I was interested in. Checkout was simple and the free shipping was a bonus. The price of the camera was phenomenal. I checked several sites and this saved me at least $100. Highly recommended!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I purchased a Canon R full-frame, body-only camera 2 days ago from Abe's of Maine and received it today. Really fast service. I saw the price was under what Best Buy, Amazon & B&H were selling it for. I called and asked Jennifer if that price was a gray market camera, she it was. I told her I wasn't interested, then she told me she can sell me that camera with everything that comes with the U.S. warranty and gave me a price still lower than the stores I mentioned. I emphasized to her that I wanted a USA warranty. When I got the camera today, I noticed the box had been open and some new tape over the old tape that was broken. There is both English and some Asian language on the box.

I took the camera body out and it looks like the same camera I saw at Best Buy. I did not open any the accessories inside, I had already bought the mount to use my EF lenses, I have the proper Canon battery from my Canon 7d and used a Sandisk memory card to take a few photos. It appears to be the proper camera body, but what happens if there's a problem months from now? I've bought 1,000 of dollars worth of camera equipment from B&H with no problems, I wish I would have done the same again. My dilemma, do I want to send this camera back and they will charge me restocking fees plus shipping and the frustration with dealing with them from what I've read on this forum. I can guarantee one thing, I will never purchase from Abe's of Maine again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Here is the deal. If you make an online purchase for a TV it will not be charged or shipped until you call them for online verification. When you call they will tell you that shipping is free but there is a charge for insurance. They will say something like the insurance charge is thirty-two fifty. They will throw in "white glove delivery service" to make you feel good. They will send a confirmation e-mail. The confirmation e-mail will show the insurance charge of $320.50. Which cannot in the worst of the English language be pronounced thirty-two fifty.

Things go downhill from there when you call and try and cancel. But if you read other negative reviews you will see the same theme. The worst part of the experience is that the price of the TV is still lower than through most other retailers but I cancelled anyway because I don't like to deal with a company that has deceptive billing practices and lacks transparency.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Junk. Do not buy from them. Bait and switch. Garbage camera. Not even an American charger, half the box is in Chinese, UPC code and Model Number do not match up with American model. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY! Tons of fake reviews created from a script.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I purchased an LG TV with extended warranty from Abe's. After a couple of months the TV was out of sync with the LG sound bar I purchased from Best Buy. I contacted Lisa from Abe's customer service who informed me to call LG since it's still under the initial warranty. Upon contacting LG and spending hours on the phone with them, they informed me that since Abe's is not an authorized dealer, LG would not honor the initial warranty. I called back Lisa who told me she has never heard of this, since they sell numerous LG TVs. I then had the sound bar tested from LG (since I purchased it from an authorized dealer) and it came back as no problem found. I then called the company that the extended warranty was purchased from, (who I thought was LG) to find that they won’t honor their warranty until the 1st year original warranty expires.

I contacted Lisa again who said I should have the LG tech come in and diagnose the TV and they would reimburse the cost of the service call. Based on her instructions, LG came in and said it was a bad display and processor. To this date, Abe's not only hasn't reimbursed me for the service call the authorized or addressed the problem with the tv. I am now out $3000.00 for the defective TV and another $135.00 for the service call. Lisa has not responded to my latest email. I am now being forced to turn this matter over to an attorney.

Abe's of Maine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979 as an electronics retailer, Abe's of Maine has expanded to offer a complete line of appliances, camera equipment and other consumer electronics. Despite the name, their store location is in Linden, NJ.

• Fast shipping times: Most products ship within 24-48 hours, allowing for a very quick delivery compared to the industry standard of 1-3 weeks.

• Three year extended warranties: The Abe's of Maine extended warranty includes the original manufacturers warranty for the first year, and matches that level of service for the remaining coverage period.

• Flexible payment options: At Abe's of Maine you are able to pay with cash, credit or Paypal.

• Free shipping: For regular freight with a 6-8 day delivery time, shipping is free.

• Expansive catalog: Not only does Abe's of Maine carry all major brands, they also have several models from each brand.

• Best for: Frugal shoppers and big families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs