Call toll free
4.18/5

Edison, NJ

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Abe’s of Maine was founded in 1979 as a small, family owned electronics retailer in Maine. We have since grown into different states in the northeast region, but our commitment to our customers and outstanding customer service has not changed.

Providing for our customers is our top priority. Our knowledgeable staff is waiting to help you find the right electronics to meet your needs.

View More View More

747 Abe's of Maine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Price seemed very good online which included free shipping, so I ordered. Next day, I receive an email to call them to confirm the order. I was told I would have to pay about $280 extra for insurance and special handling because my address was outside the regular delivery areas. When I told the guy to cancel the order, he lowered the extra amount four times. He tried to convince me that I was still getting a great deal. I said, "Cancel my order" and hung up. Stay away from this company. They will try to squeeze more money out of you. Fortunately, I had opted to finance the purchase with a no-interest deal, so they didn't have my charge card. I quickly canceled that also.

Get expert buying tips about Appliance Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Great deal on the Canon 77D camera with 18-135mm lens. Saved over $600 compared to the big names. Website was well laid out and checkout was simple. I will definitely check out Abe’s again before I buy. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Better pricing than some of the other big retailers and better reviews of their service. Have yet to receive my product, so hopefully that all goes smoothly. If it doesn't I'll be sure to update the review, but so far things are looking good!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

The whole process was easy and seamless. I would recommend Abe's of Maine to anyone who asked. I am a first time customer, but am familiar with Abe's. Glad I found a product I wanted (Nikon camera Kit) and they had such a great deal!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Tried to find a product online and this place offered me a great deal on this item. Highly recommended to anyone looking to buy electronics at a good price. Try it and you won't be disappointed. Thank you Abe's of Maine!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abe's of Maine?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Having many "older" Nikkor Lenses it was great to find that Nikon was making a Digital based camera (Nikon D810) so that I could still use my older lenses, and that I could purchase that body new. I have used Nikkor Lenses since the 1960's. Thanks for having the body available.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have shopped Abe's of Maine before, your shipping were quick and secure, the products are satisfactory. Your service is prompt as well. I am pleased with your offers. Thank you very much. Have a great day! Enjoy shopping with you!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Contacted them since their prices on TVs are ridiculously lower than anywhere on or off the internet. Turns out they are not an authorized dealer. What does that mean. That means you run into all sorts of issues if you have ANY problems with your product, that's if you even receive a product. Just do your research here and you'll find out there have been bad press coverage, to media scrutinizing them about their false advertising and upsell etc. My experience was horrid, and I was hung up on, when I caught on to their scheme, and was fortunate enough to call the finance company and complain and tell them my purchase was done under false advertising and commitments and without my authorization.

The price advertised later becomes different because you are asked to pay a 10% insurance fee on the set which by the way, will take 3 weeks to get to you. Really!? NO THANK YOU! Check please. I'm out. Abe's of Maine, running out of New Jersey is a consumer's nightmare. But, if you're a risk taker and willing to take your chances and buy a $4k TV set that they'll sell to you for $2,400, then I don't know. That's the price and gamble you'll have to take and do. I stuck to my ground and said no to the $10% insurance and they folded, which was a red flag for me. Then when they told me it will take 5-10 days, and I told them I will have a serious problem if this will take longer because of reviews I've read where people are hung up on, not replied to when they have not received their item for weeks. Then Ted changes his answer and says 3 weeks. Give it 3 weeks.

This guy could give two dog patties about you and what your needs are. I've seen some bad stuff, and this place takes it up there at the top. I'm so lucky I was able to get out. I'm still worried and will see what happens. But I escaped the house of horrors. To their defense, however, the company I work for claims they bought a bunch a flat panel TVs because of the cheap prices and that we got all of them. So, if you're a risk taker and not buying it for yourself or with someone else's money, and have a lawyer in case something goes sideways, then I'd say, give it a try and if they get stupid on you, you let them have it and be a pain as bad as you can. Shameful business if you ask me. Do your research and stay away. Not worth the headache.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Thank you so very much for such a great review on me with fast service... I know for sure the best price on any items for sure... Thanks so much one more time. The best service and price ever on the net that I can tell for sure...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Best price I've seen for the 65" and simple checkout. I've been looking to get the LG OLED for a time now, and never saw a new OLED priced this low (for the model I'm getting - the OLED65C8PUA). Looking forward to having this replace my rather dated 45" plasma. Great deal overall.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Checkout was fast and easy. I got free shipping. I haven't received the product yet but I would only assume that their packaging is top notch. The website is easy to navigate with clear pricing, accessories and other items of interest listed. I'm surprised that Abe's had it for so cheap. I would come back again. First time customer and I'm pleasant with the website and checkout process. We shall see how the item comes to my house.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

It was great. Very easy transaction, low prices and free shipping. I would recommend to anyone looking for an easy online experience. Excited to get my new camera and excited that I saved over one hundred dollars. Abe's of Maine is the best.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Always a pleasure shopping with Abe's of Maine, have been since 2005 and will continue to shop with you. Was recommended from a professor back in college, I love the selection of new cameras you have and the prices can't be beat anywhere, just need some filters and sd cards.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I hope this is the start of a great process. I’m getting this for my wife for her birthday. The price was exceptional. Easy to use the page. Can’t wait to see the camera. An option to view accessories for the specific camera I was buying would have been nice.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

This site had wonderful and fair prices. It was recommended to me from a friend who is an avid photographer as well. This camera will be used in my photography business, and it appears to be great value for what it offers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Ordered a TV on 9/22 and received an invoice like most internet retailer experiences. That was followed up by yet another e-mail requesting I call them. I learned that they would be adding a "required" $174 for insurance and handling due to shipment size. I protested this as I was not clear on this at the time of purchase. The rudest CS rep I have ever experienced, Jeff **, chided me that it was in the terms section when I accepted (I later spoke to a 2nd CS rep and she showed me the very bottom of the fine print that 95% of us get lost in). Jeff kept interrupting me and talking over me. He also stated that the TV I ordered, while the page said it was in stock, was no longer available, and tried to upsell me on a more expensive model, I refused.

I later called back to talk to another CS rep, Jennifer. She was very apologetic and helpful and confirmed the unavailability of the lower priced item, AND she was willing to give me a discount on the next model up, in-stock, and add a free wall mount and white glove service. Relieved, and satisfied with that price, we created a new transaction.

I wish I could say that was the end and everything has turned out happily. It has not. It's almost two weeks later and I still don't have the TV. Abe's uses AM trucking for delivery to my area, Richmond VA. AM did NOT pick up the shipment until 9/26, then it sat in their NJ w/h for 6 days before shipping to 2nd shipment point in Charlotte, NC, on 10/2. After calling AM again today, I am told the TV will not leave Charlotte until 10/9 or 10/10, thereby sitting in Charlotte for 7 days. That's the earliest. I won't know that this saga is over until 10/9 or 10/10. No, this has not been nothing but a terrible experience with Abe's of Maine, AND AM Trucking, and it's still ongoing, sigh.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Have had a great experience shopping on Abe's of Maine. I found it was easy to locate items of interest and cannot beat the price. I will definitely make Abe's of Maine my first stop for any future photography needs.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I've been buying a camera online for the last Saturday or Sunday. I have received confirmation by email. After 3 days I did not receive the tracking email. I ask the staff. What is the best way to communicate to the Deaf customers?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This is the second camera that I have purchased from Abe's, and I returned for this purchase because the first worked out so well, and the price offered now was outstanding. I expect to be a returning customer long before the next 20 years elapse.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I’ve never seen this camera so low in price (body only), as I have the two previous models Canon has made. Great camera and great price! I will definitely be checking out Abe’s of Maine for my future electronic orders.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered a body only Sony Alpha a6500 camera. The Abe's price was better than other online stores, but not suspiciously so. After I placed my order, I received an email that I needed to talk with the store, no reason given. I was on vacation, so I didn't call right away. However, the next day, I was called. I was told that they had to verify that I ordered, which I confirmed. Second, they wanted to sell me a battery for the camera! I didn't see anywhere (in reviewing the item listing online) that a battery was not included. I was offered two options--a regular battery and charger for about $120 I believe, and a high capacity battery and charger for $150. I selected the more expensive one, because I figured it wasn't that much more, and I needed a battery for the camera.

In further research, I discovered that no one else sells this camera without a battery, further, the price I ended up paying was exactly the same as other outlets, like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. When the order was received, what I received was a standard camera in the retail box. The battery doesn't indicate that it's anything other than a regular battery that comes with the camera--it doesn't say high capacity, or have any distinguishing number that shows it's a higher capacity battery. In fact, it's the battery that's listed in the accompanying user manual. Other websites sell this battery for $50, by the way. I've asked the company about this matter, but have not yet gotten a reply. Regardless, I feel this is deceptive sales practices--a way to lure people in, only to compel them to purchase additional items for a lot more money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Website was very easy to use and find everything I needed. The reason for 3 stars vs. more is that the experience on the phone was not as good. System was down and was told someone would call me back... took a little longer than expected. But the website is very good and check out very easy.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Amazing. A 30 second wait to get approval on a line of credit plus a 6 month no interest time frame. Not to mention Abe's has the lowest prices for the DSLR & Lens I was looking for! I was almost ready to buy at another online retail source and was dismayed that their credit process could take up to 10 days, in which my last minute plans to go on a sightseeing trip would be camera-less. My old one died and finally springing to buy new.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

The financing is fantastic. It's exactly what I needed right now. I can't wait to receive my new lens! It's something that I have been fawning over for a very very long time. SO thankful to be able to get it now.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Did quite a bit of research, Abe has great prices and great selection - too bad one of the lens I wanted was backordered. Shipping option would disappear when I checked. I checked the "same as billing" box, so I had to reenter info.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I placed an order for the Sony XBR65X900F TV. They are on back order until Monday but should arrive in 2 weeks. The pricing is excellent compared to Best Buy and other major electronics stores. Hopefully the TV will arrive soon and we can enjoy it.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Great price on my new camera. Website was easy to navigate and had plenty of info. I liked the accessory suggestions. I Shopped around and I couldn’t pass up the deal. How do you guys do it? Keep up the great work!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Thank you so much for having the cheapest price on the Nikon D7500. I am pleased with the price and your price beat the refurbished price by $300.00! I can't wait until I receive it! You can't beat the free shipping and no tax as well!! I am truly impressed with all of these deals.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

It was a quick and painless way of applying for cc for a camera so I can start a first business. Looking to purchase a few more lenses for the camera. I would like two lenses by Sigma and a couple of filters.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Good price is why I purchased here. As long as the camera comes in perfect condition I'll be happy I purchased it from Abe's of Maine. I know the camera is good being a Nikon. The only thing I'm worried about is why this place sells it way cheaper than others online. Hopefully it's all good.

Abe's of Maine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979 as an electronics retailer, Abe's of Maine has expanded to offer a complete line of appliances, camera equipment and other consumer electronics. Despite the name, their store location is in Linden, NJ.

• Fast shipping times: Most products ship within 24-48 hours, allowing for a very quick delivery compared to the industry standard of 1-3 weeks.

• Three year extended warranties: The Abe's of Maine extended warranty includes the original manufacturers warranty for the first year, and matches that level of service for the remaining coverage period.

• Flexible payment options: At Abe's of Maine you are able to pay with cash, credit or Paypal.

• Free shipping: For regular freight with a 6-8 day delivery time, shipping is free.

• Expansive catalog: Not only does Abe's of Maine carry all major brands, they also have several models from each brand.

• Best for: Frugal shoppers and big families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs