Call toll free
4.13/5

Edison, NJ

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Abe’s of Maine was founded in 1979 as a small, family owned electronics retailer in Maine. We have since grown into different states in the northeast region, but our commitment to our customers and outstanding customer service has not changed.

Providing for our customers is our top priority. Our knowledgeable staff is waiting to help you find the right electronics to meet your needs.

View More View More

885 Abe's of Maine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

This is my first experience on the website, and my very first purchase. I will say, navigating to the products I was interested in was very easy and I had no issues with the check out process. I'm happy with my shopping experience as a new customer and visitor of Abe's of Maine.

Get expert buying tips about Appliance Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Great prices. I can't believe i got my tv set 1,000 cheaper than another retailer. Best Buy had the same set 1,000 more. Looking forward to receiving my LG 65" OLED TV. I will let you know how everything went once I receive my new TV. Abe's of Maine has been around for years and it's a name you can trust.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I sent my 24-70 into Nikon for repair and received the following message after providing my proof of purchase. "Dear Samuel, Thank you for sending us a copy of your order confirmation. Unfortunately we cannot service your AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR lens as it is a gray market unit. "Gray market" Nikon products are those that were not imported and distributed by Nikon USA but were purchased by the end consumer in the USA. Nikon USA will not service gray market products under any circumstances, even for a fee.

A Nikon product purchased by a customer from an authorized Nikon dealer in another country will be serviced by Nikon USA as long as the customer provides the Nikon Worldwide Warranty that was supplied with the product and the sales receipt from the overseas dealer. This documentation must be presented for warranty and non-warranty service.

We will be returning this lens with no repairs as soon as possible. Once the status of service order # ** changes to Shipped you should be able to check tracking information by logging onto: https://www.nikonimagesvcapprove.com/status/ and entering your billing name and your service order number. Your billing name is usually the first 2 letters of your last name. We would recommend for you to contact the seller for information on services."

I received the following message when I told AoM this info; "Thank you very much for shopping with Abe's Of Maine. Please contact our customer service department at 1-800-992-2237 and one of our representatives will gladly assist you. Your business is greatly appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you soon and resolving the issue! Sincerely, Abe's Of Maine."

This is the next email I had to send to the sales team, including the two representatives who sold me the lens. I have still not heard anything back. (Adi **, Jeff **) "I just called and was asked very briefly about this issue. The customer service rep took a few notes about the damage and then told me they would call me back. Clearly the issue at hand is not being addressed properly. I trust in Nikon's assessment that I was sold a "gray market" product, and this is just unacceptable for the "trusted service" you claim to provide. I'm a professional who uses these tools for my job, and I would like a full refund on my product. Respond in a timely manner."

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

You cannot get a live person on the line. It rings, puts you on hold and no one picks or the phone just hangs up on you. I have called over 12 times to find out about a refund for a product that I returned 2 weeks ago. The camera was $1,599 and came in a beat up box labeled a VR kit with a lens, with the items tossed in bubble wrap. This was a used camera they put into a random box and they are charging me $289 for a restocking fee. There is literally nothing to restock and I believe this camera was used when I received it, not to mention the box it came in that wasn't even what I ordered. I called and final got a hold of someone at Abe's that said 'the person you need to talk to is right here...' Then put me on hold, then I got a voice mail - no one returns calls, left 2 previous messages when I could. This is a ridiculous place to do business with.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Purchased the product after reviewing the price and found Abe's to have the best price. The website was easy to access and follow and very clear. Product info was clear and it was easy to check out. So far so good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abe's of Maine?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Positives first: the product is fantastic. I'm very happy with the LG TV itself. It is exactly what I ordered and Abe's did not substitute in any way. Negatives: The price you see advertised is not the price you get. The fine print clearly says they are going to charge you an insurance fee. When you call the sales guy he will tell you the product must have insurance. He'll soften it by giving you a wall mount and claiming that you will get "white glove" delivery. The fee is usually around $400.

Shipping takes forever. They use a company called A.M. Best Home Delivery. This company uses a tracking number but it is of no value whatsoever. The only way to get updates is to call and even then, the employees do not know where the shipment is. It takes at least three weeks to get your shipment and about two days beforehand you will get an email telling you it will be there and they will call your number. The day of delivery, you get a automatic phone call telling you it's an hour away. They show up with the box, they plug it in and leave.

No white glove anything. The delivery guys leave stuff everywhere. It is your responsibility to put the TV where you want and to clean up. Summary: I couldn't find the TV cheaper anywhere (legitimately priced), even with the fee included. If you don't mind feeling ripped off and don't mind the wait or the lack of detailed info, it's an ok deal. I could have come very close on price at any local retailer but I would have paid sales tax and delivery, which would have been an extra $180 or so. After the experience, I believe it would have been worth it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I am very impressed with the services, excellent and it was quite an amazing experience shopping online here. I hope to be back again and buy more items here for my Christmas donations and gift to my friends and family.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Lowest prices anywhere on Canon camera and Lens with their holiday sale. The prices don't even seem possible. I saved over $800 on my camera and lens. Even cheaper than other site's USED prices! I don't know how they do it but I hit the "buy" button before I missed out on the deal! Something I was shopping for months for I can finally afford. Thanks Abe's!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

TV Purchase - A very good purchase experience. Easy to use and secure. I had to call my bank to verify my purchase. Fortunately, that added only a couple of minutes for processing securely. If it had it take much longer, depending on the bank, I may have considered purchasing elsewhere. This process could be improved by supporting Apple Pay which I use often.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Best price I found on the web for a new Canon EF 24-105 f/4 ii USM lens. Easy to navigate website. The site was very slow but that it's probably due to holiday traffic. Overall, an excellent purchase experience. Highly recommended.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Abe's had a great price on LG 65 on Black Friday, the bait. On purchase and confirmation of the order they added a $300 fee for "insurance", the first switch. The price is still below even the Black Friday prices. The free white glove service was 2 guys from an obscure delivery group that was 3 hours late, the second switch. They took the top off, plugged it in and walked out. (White glove service not!) A week in I see the dreaded stuck pixel. That's when the real fun began. Abe's will not swap or take the TV back! Once more they are not an authorized LG dealer so the LG warranty is voided. Of course LG will let me purchase an extended warranty which brings the cost back up to the original price. Abe's sells an irregular LG product, then LG and Abe's pass the cost of the shoddy manufacturing and repair to the consumer in the form of an extended warranty.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

The ordering experience and price was good. Look forward to future orders for camera products. Prices are very competitive and free shipping is commendable. Selection of products is broad and you are offering quality goods. Item ordered is a gift and I believe it will be well received.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Very good prices! Abe's of Maine has several options to choose from, and better prices in a lot of cameras, comparing to Amazon and Best Buy. The checkout was easy and they have many options of shipping periods and methods.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have been searching for the Tamron 70-200mm lens for quite some time. With this big a purchase I wanted to find the best deal. Abe's of Maine by far had the best price on this lens! After watching reviews on the lens compared to the Canon, I knew I found the lens for me. I can't wait to get it in the mail and start shooting!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was looking to buy the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro lens and found this place to have the best price. However, after placing the order, and getting the confirmation, I found there was NO update for 6 days. I sent an email and was told to call a certain extension number. Of course, though I tried multiple times throughout the day, there was no response. I finally get through on the third day, and after describing my experience, I get someone who clearly isn't interested in working there. He said they had to order the lens, even though the site said it was in stock (even as of 1 week later!) So much for being the "store you can trust". Super, super disappointing. Absolutely no communication on their part. Finally, I wrote a negative review on their site to document what happened, and I come to find out that, they never posted that review! This place really is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

There were at least live people on the phone, but they were abrupt and hung up on me twice without finishing the conversation. Perhaps they are very busy, but not a good experience. On the website I was able to find the information I was looking for. So no major problem there.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Great experience. Abes of Maine's prices are the best. Will recommend to friends and family to Abe's of Maine. Website was easy to use. Great prices on cameras. My girlfriend is going to enjoy this camera very much. Can't wait to take pictures and videos to start our YouTube videos and video blogging.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

The ordering part is done. It was a breeze! Very convenient UI and has all the required info to place an order quickly, and to your satisfaction. Will now have to wait for the order to get fulfilled and the product shipped, to be able to get the consummate end-to-end experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Looking at the Nikon D7500. Abe's of Maine had the best offer compare with other resellers of the same camera. In addition, they provide very easy checkout. Placing the order was very secure and flawless. Looking forward to get the product before Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I found a great deal during Cyber Monday for a Nikon D500 (body only) camera on the Abe's of Maine internet site. It was easily $500 below market pricing. Putting the order was simple until after submitting I was asked to enter the last 6 digits of my social security. That concerned me, so I hit cancel. I thought that would cancel my order but instead I got a confirmation of a successful order via email. I was sure how to feel about that.

The next day I got a call from an Abe's of Maine representative asking what kind of battery I wanted for my camera, a 2 or 5 hour battery. I asked which one comes with the camera, and he stated neither. He then proceeded to offer my options not just for the battery but for other accessories. I was not interested in other accessories, but I told him I've never brought a body only camera without a battery! He started to harass me at which point I told him to cancel my order. Clearly a place that specializes in "bait and switch" practices. What concerns me more is if I had received the camera, whether or not it would be something from the black/gray market and therefore not covered by Nikon's 1 year warranty. Be wary.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I brought Nikon 810 Body, Kit and Lens. Experience was good. But I was mislead with the options mentioned on the website while buying. I want to buy all the three Body, lens and kit and the options between Lens and kit were mutually exclusive. So when I select body (was default), Lens and Kit, only kit got activated and lens missed so I had to order again. So when I got the package I was expecting 3 but I got only 2. Why can't you bundle all the 3 is my suggestion.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Purchased "Nikon D7500 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera - Body Only" on Thanksgiving Day for "great" early Black Friday price. $300 less than other online retailers. Also purchase 2 accessory lenses. After placing the order online received a follow up call. Great customer service?? Actually NO. The follow up was actually a "sales" call. I was informed one of the requested lenses was no longer available, despite being listed as in-stock online. The sales rep talked me in to a $100 up sell for the "current" compatible lens. He also gave me the hard sell for other "highly suggested" accessories (high capacity batteries, $80 lens filters, etc...) which I luckily declined.

Upon receipt I was horrified by what I received. All products were grey market. Both lenses and the camera shipped in unsealed boxes no warranty information. The "Nikon D7500 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera - Body Only" camera was even shipped in "kit" box with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens removed. Reading the fine print returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee plus of course round trip shipping cost. This was supposed to be joint Christmas gift for wife and self... what a nightmare!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Simple easy steps. Would definitely recommend to a friend. Looking through the website was definitely a fun and extremely enjoyable time for me. I did not even know the site existed until about 2 weeks ago. Everything went quick and smooth.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Can't believe my eyes when I saw the price of the camera I've been keeping an eye on for months. Came to this website just by chance, I'm glad I did! Must also be a Xmas/Cyber week price but who cares, it's a great deal!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Lowest price I found online for the factory-new Nikon 18-55mm DX lens. Website easy to explore for other products. Easy ordering and checkout. I even read the history of Abe's of Maine — and know to visit in Brooklyn, not Maine.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Online price on LG TV was $2,096.99 with free shipping & no tax except in NJ. I called the sales dept about the advertised price. It was confirmed but here comes the "hidden charges". He asked for my zip code, then gave me a shipping insurance & handling charge of $384.00!! Plus if you purchase their 3 yr. extended in-home warranty it's half price at $299.00!! Nowhere did I see in my cell phone search were these hidden charges listed!! If you see them, could luck. The devil is in the fine print! Judge for yourself. Where is the BBB or Federal Trade Commission?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Better description and detailed specs of product needed. Also “what’s in the box” needed. Otherwise experience was pleasant. Best prices on most products. Free shipping on products is great. No taxes outside of New Jersey makes it a great deal.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Original order no. is ** was placed and then your site told me to call 1-800-654-9214 and it took a toll of my time trying to figure out whether my Visa cc is good or not. They told me that I need to reprocess or reorder again. Why?? Why?? Why?? Then I called you at 800-992-2237 four times and got hung up and called again for the 5th time and I had to wait for more than 35 minutes... it is not worth waiting when I placed an order... I only need one lens.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I placed my order online, giving my Visa number. The order included free delivery. I received a call from Abe's saying there would be a $550 charge for handling and insurance. This made me nervous as to whether this was a legitimate business (I'd had a bad experience years earlier). Didn't help that shipping was via AM Home Delivery, which I'd never heard of. Why 5 stars? Because at the end of the day I received what I ordered at a good price, despite my initial misgivings about the delivery cost. As for AM, can't say enough about the helpful, courteous delivery guys. If you're not thin skinned, Abe's can save you money.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

On Nov 11th 2018 ordered online the following product: Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens - advertised price $949.00 and product is in stock.

Two days later received a email, ask to call Jeff. When called waited over 30 min to answer the call and I was told this Lens will take another 2 week to be shipped. Two weeks later I called Abe's of Maine many times. Every time I was put on hold for over one hour. Yes I repeat - one hour. Finally a customer service lady promised to call me next day. Nobody called me. Finally I called to cancel the order. After reading so many similar experiences by lots customer, I think these people should not allowed stay business. It is really a scam. I am going to followup with the Consumers Affairs Dept of State of New Jersey - that's where these scammers are located. My order number: **.

Abe's of Maine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979 as an electronics retailer, Abe's of Maine has expanded to offer a complete line of appliances, camera equipment and other consumer electronics. Despite the name, their store location is in Linden, NJ.

• Fast shipping times: Most products ship within 24-48 hours, allowing for a very quick delivery compared to the industry standard of 1-3 weeks.

• Three year extended warranties: The Abe's of Maine extended warranty includes the original manufacturers warranty for the first year, and matches that level of service for the remaining coverage period.

• Flexible payment options: At Abe's of Maine you are able to pay with cash, credit or Paypal.

• Free shipping: For regular freight with a 6-8 day delivery time, shipping is free.

• Expansive catalog: Not only does Abe's of Maine carry all major brands, they also have several models from each brand.

• Best for: Frugal shoppers and big families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs