2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.86/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Unsubscribe at any time.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have four dogs all of which are insured through Trupanion. As of late just about every claim is rejected or paid at a substantially reduced rate. You really need verified they paid the proper amount.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I don't even know where to start. To sum it up if you bring your pet to the vet within the 30 day wait period, or prior to signing up, they manage to associate anything that happens thereafter with those visits. If your pet even so much as farts they will not cover anything gastrointestinal. If you prove it was not related they will ask you provide a diagnosis... which there is no guarantee they will pay for all that testing. They basically make up the rules as they go along in order to prevent paying a claim. Want to file an appeal? GOOD LUCK! Everything you call a different will tell you what guidelines you need to follow... when you call back what you did was unnecessary and they will give you another set of guidelines to follow. My vet contacted them asking what other information they may need in order to process my claim and they never responded. I submitting my claims about 9-10 months in and all 3 were denied.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I purchased insurance on Tuesday. Had a need to cancel. Spoke with representative that confirmed cancellation and sent follow up email at 119 p.m. Checked my bank account and payment got sent through anyway. Upon calling back advised it could take up to 14 days for refund. Interesting. It didn't take them 14 days to take it from me. Initiated policy on one day. Cancelled the very next day early morning at that.

Original review: May 15, 2020

The price is high. They do not cover pre-existing illness, even if there was a hint of it before the policy started. I've had dogs for over 50 years and for the most part they are healthy and need only occasional vet care. If something pricey happens to them the pet insurance will not cover anything because of it being pre-existing. If you decide to get the insurance before a condition starts, you will pay a lot of money. Chances are your dog will remain healthy and you will spend a great amount of money. Money that could have been saved for the possibility of a future vet bill. I believe that a pet owner would come out ahead financially by not having pet insurance. The winner in this is the insurance company not the pet owner.

Original review: April 29, 2020

We have had this insurance for our healthy dog for 2 years. We have not filed even one claim- not one in two years! We just received an email telling us that our rate was going up by 20%! I called them to inquire only to be told that it's not based on our usage or our dog but rather, they blamed it on the California Insurance Commission telling them they should! They also said it's based on what other people in my area are doing! What does that have anything to do with us being good clients? All of this RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF COVID-19! I am seriously shocked at this company's lack of integrity and basic business principles. We just cancelled our coverage with them and I will look for another company.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I am a huge advocate of Trupanion. My beautiful Great Dane was diagnosed with a heart condition 2 years ago and put on multiple medications. Trupanion covered without fail. My rates did not increase. 8 months ago, cancer was found, and they covered treatments, and more medications, again no rate changes. I am so happy that our coverage helped keep my girl with us. Trupanion, thank YOU! I am eternally grateful and will continue to sing your praises.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I must caution anyone who has their pet's interest and their own finances in mind that this company is not for you. I have two dogs covered under this company and have paid the premiums for literally years. Yet the company has denied almost all of the claims I've made. I accepted from the beginning that some issues would be exempt, but I can honestly say that I've wasted hundreds of dollars paying premiums to this company only to have my claims consistently denied. And also I have to say that my confidence in Consumer Affairs' assessment is totally shot.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Trupanion is one of the suggested pet insurance companies to use after you adopt an animal through the SPCA - and I want everyone to know how TRULY HORRIBLE and useless they are. We have had their insurance for the last 2 years and they have yet to cover a single visit, they say everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - is related to a "preexisting condition." I recently brought my dog in for a severe ear infection and found out they denied the claim because it's related to his allergies. I'm sorry... what?

When I called the insurance company they said, "Well allergies can be one of the many causes of an ear infection and it wasn't specified what caused it so we assume it is related to his allergy." They ASSUME it was related to his allergy so they don't bother to cover it or contact the vet to clarify. It doesn't matter what happens to your pet, they will find a way to relate it to something "preexisting" or something that doesn't fall under your coverage umbrella and they will screw you over. Do yourself a favor and stay far far away from these scam artists. They are useless and should be ashamed of how they conduct business.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Trupanion says they are the best Medical Coverage possible with one simple plan that covers 90% of veterinary costs with no payout limits and a "lifetime deductible" but this is deceptive and is false advertising. What they gloss over is that the lifetime deductible is PER CONDITION or INCIDENT. In other words, you must meet the deductible every time you have a new condition or incident with your pet. Total Rip Off! The best pet insurance offers coverage that's broad enough for whatever health care your pet needs - with high enough limits to cushion you in a worst-case scenario.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I have had Trupanion for about 9 years for two dogs. Every year, my rate goes up, even if I have no claims. Apparently this is because of the cost of insurance going up. I've had to increase my deductible to try to slow things down, but it's going up and up. Started with $40 per year with a $100 deductible. Now I am at $90 with a $500 deductible. Total ripoff, and they never tell you this when you sign up. Choose another provider, or get it through Costco.

Trupanion Company Information