2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.8/5 (301 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: March 18, 2021

Absolutely horrible. My puppy got sick, was throwing up and lethargic so I took her to a clinic. They did a bunch of tests to determine her stomach was inflamed and gave her an iv and prescription food. They said it could be from the post spay meds or ingesting something by accident. The cost of the visit was over $900 and they covered zero. What’s the point of pet insurance if they will not help when she’s sick and needs to go to the animal hospital? Oh and it took over two months for them to look at the claim. Absolutely horrible. I do not recommend wasting your money as they are stingy and will fight to not cover. I had already spent about $150 on the couple months I had the insurance.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I should have read the reviews but trusted a vet who recommended them because they were paid directly by Trupanion. Thirty day waiting period is mandatory while they take your money so you pay for a month, in addition to an administrative fee, for nothing. The two claims I filed were denied because of pre exiting conditions that were nonexistent. My guess is that this is their default for denials.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I paid Trupanion $80 a month for years thinking that my dog would be covered if something major happened. Submitted my first claim ($190 bill for pink eye) and they weaseled out of it saying it was a preexisting condition because years ago my dog had a physical injury to his eye. These are two separate and totally unrelated conditions but they are all about taking your money and will do anything to get out of paying out on a claim. A completely worthless waste of money. Sorry that I dumped thousands of dollars into this scam, wish I would have put it into a pet savings account instead!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I have been with Trupanion for 6 years and every single year there has been a premium increase. Usually it's by a couple dollars or ten dollars per month, so I didn't give it much thought. However, this year, they gave me a call and told me my premiums will be going up by 35% to $100 per month. My dog is healthy and never had to make a single claim. A hike this high is insane--and such a hard blow especially during Covid-19 times. So after the call with the agent, I decided to call customer service and cancel my policy. When I spoke to them, the second agent told me that my premiums were actually staying the same. I'm like, "excuse me? Your other agent just called me to tell me that it was going up to $100. Why would she call me to tell me that if it wasn't the case?"

She kept denying it and repeatedly told me that my premiums are staying the same for the upcoming year. She even offered to send me an email as written confirmation that my premiums were not going up. Emails are not contracts. Even if I did have an email, it wouldn't hold up in court. At this point, the whole situation just didn't feel right. So I asked that agent to call the other agent who initially called me to clarify the situation. After speaking with the first agent, the second agent then gets back to me and says the rates are indeed INCREASING by 35% and apologizes for the misinformation.

Her excuse was: "I didn't have access the information that the other agent had". Basically admitting to me that she lied to my face. What an unethical, sleazy tactic. I have ZERO trust and respect for this company. I have fortunately CANCELLED my policy today. It's the best decision I've ever made for my pet. I'm just going to put away $60 every month in a high interest savings account as a rainy day fund for my dog. This way, it'll also save me another future phone call with them to make a claim. Apparently, from other reviews, it's difficult to get any kind of payout with them even when you do have a legitimate claim.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have a negative experience with Trupanion. Keep in my that their insurance is condition based and they use vet techs to determine if your claim is eligible. They also take well over a month to review your case. I had three claims that were still under review for over a month. I had two cases in particular where I decided that I no longer wanted insurance with them.

In the first case, my dog suffered skin fold and chin infections. Trupanion did not reimburse me because they it was related to his allergies (a preexisting condition that they do not cover). They cited some records from a vet that made absolutely no sense on their response. The only way to consider an appeal is if your vet speaks with them.

The second case was an episode of vomiting. My dog vomits a couple times a year and it is not always clear as to whether he swallowed something or if it is some sort of gastroenteritis. Trupanion only reimburses for a condition and if the condition for the vomiting is unclear it may not get reimbursed and in my case it did not. They say that their claim submission process is easy but it is not. This particular claim was under review for several weeks because they needed a claim form. They did not tell me that I needed to complete this form and so it stayed pending info.

Last case: My dog had a benign mass removed and I asked for reimbursement for the surgery and I has my vet's office fax the records. Trupanion would not consider reimbursement until they saw the pathology report even though they said my records were complete without. How does seeing a pathology report have anything to do with reimbursing for surgery when they have the operative note from the vet. It was cheaper for me pay for my vet expenses out of pocket for my two dogs than to pay approximately $180 a month for this nonsense.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Please do not use Trupanion. We brought home a new pup and were sad to learn healthy paws no longer offered coverage in our state - so we turned to Trupanion. Our first claim for kennel cough was denied bc within the 30-day waiting window. Got it. Fair is fair. Post waiting-window our pup was having some severe pain at night every time she shifted she'd yelp for ten seconds or so. We brought her into the ER bc she was clearly in pain. Turned out to be growing pains and sore muscles thankfully. She just made a big drama about it.

Trupanion denied the claim bc when we brought her in for kennel cough (within the 30-day window) she showed signs of pain - well yeah, she had a 105 fever and kennel cough. She was achy. They unethically attached this fever pain as being pre-existing (post 30-day window) and tied it to the growing pain later experienced. Imagine if it were dysplasia nor something more serious - no coverage for all the ensuing treatment. Stay away from Trupanion - they will twist words to floss you If they can. With healthy paws I felt comfortable every time I submitted an invoice. Now I stress.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Trupanion is not an insurance company I will ever trust again. They prey on pet owners who love their pets. I recently, (for the first time), submitted claims because my dog has a bladder infection. My claims were denied because prior to starting my insurance I took my dog in for neck pain. They now claim that the neck pain was a precondition for a bladder infection and refuse to pay. I have been paying $120/month and this is how I'm treated? If anyone knows of lawsuits I can join so that the public can become aware of how this company treats its customers, please let me know.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I just received notice that my premiums will increase 30% a year. I have had the policy 6 years and at age 11 it may be too late to find another insurance company. I can assure you that this enormous increase will cause me to shop around and re-consider. When I called them I asked if enrollment is going down and they told me it’s going up and that in states like California and New York they’re seeing price increases. 30% increase? WOW! I wish it was that easy for all of us to just increase income 30%.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I am shocked at the way I have been treated by members of Trupanion. My experience with them was the worst I have ever experienced. I was denied on every occasion, for coverage for my dog - whom is under two years old, all because he vomited as a puppy (he ate a sock). They would not treat any issue if vomiting was involved - they even stated that "if he was hit by a car and vomited, they would not cover any medical treatment because he vomited."

If the vet does not word the visit a specific way, even if it is a new incident or injury, you are denied. They denied every single claim and the managers I spoke to denied me from requesting further assistance and speaking with someone above them. I am so disappointed with their service. Don't be tricked - Trupanion treats pre-existing symptoms the SAME as pre-existing conditions. I hope someone from Trupanion will reach out to me and rectify this issue, I am sorely disappointed and hurt by my experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I tried to sign up their insurance which was provided from the shelter but couldn’t because there was some issue and by the time I did my pet was Puking which they considered a preexisting condition and told they will not pay for any surgery if it was pre existing. He was vomiting that's it, not sure how that can be pre existing. My understanding for preexisting is from theirs.

Trupanion Company Information