2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My vet has to perform a surgery on my years old baby because she had a growth on her neck. We submitted all her medical record for the surgery. And Trupanion requests all her medical records dating back to few years ago, unrelated to her surgery. We provided them all the vets info and they still requested more. We were exhausted with their requests and decided to pay for the surgery ourselves and cancel this so-called insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

In the 5+ years that I have paid for this insurance, I have had 95% of my claims denied. I did appeal several of them and it got pretty ugly, but they finally paid out on a couple. Till this day, they rule "pre-existing condition" or not covered for everything. They basically don't pay for anything. They should just tell out that you are going to pay a lot of money for them, but they will never pay you back, and if you get close, you have to pay your deductible first before ever getting a reimbursement. They suck!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This company sales representatives misrepresent what their insurance covers and do not honor their 30 trial and total refund policy. They take 30 days just respond to a claim. They have the Worst Customer Service I have EVER seen!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I had an absolutely awful experience with this company. Just like most bad reviews of insurance companies, yes, this did center around a claim that was not paid out. I will not go over the exact details. But to summarize, my veterinarian took the time to write a full page letter stating that there was no way to test or diagnose my dog's ailment until he was 1 year or older. Therefore, there was no way to consider this a pre existing condition. There is a lot larger story to this. And while my goal at the time was just just meet my deductible for the year in case anything else happened, it came clear to me that any potential future submitted claims with this company would be a fight to get compensation.

I decided to cancel my plan, and look elsewhere for coverage. When I called to cancel my plan (there is no way to cancel plan through the website), I was put on hold and transferred to a "specialist." I told her that I wanted to cancel my plan and had one question (it was in regards to timing of when plan coverage would end when I cancelled), Instead of cancelling the plan, the lady pulled up my file and started arguing with my claim and what my veterinarian stated. She even had the audacity to say her vet told her something completely opposite. She went on to say that we wouldn't be covered on anything like this with another insurer (which is silly to say because of course we will not be. Since the ailment has already happened, it is "pre-existing" and I know that those conditions are not covered, for obvious reasons).

I let the lady go on, doing my best to not let my frustration get to me. When she said that she wanted to make sure "she" (referring to my dog) got the best coverage (my Dog's name is Roscoe and is a male), I corrected her, confirmed my coverage was cancelled and hung up the phone. If this is the way this company does business, NOBODY should give them theirs. I am more than happy to provide any more details on my terrible experience with Trupanion, whether that be sharing the email correspondence we've had, my vet's letter, etc. I just want people to know that they should look elsewhere to protect their furry loved ones.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My dog has seizures and it is covered by Trupanion. I notice that every single claim put through they deny and their excuse is the doctor wrote the word visit or any phrase that they can catch to deny the claim because it's not covered under the plan based on how the hospital writes it out. My dog went with a seizure and they did not cover it because they claim it was a doctor visit when he went into the emergency hospital at 3 am in the morning due to a seizure. At 3 am is not a doctors visit.. They are the worst insurance plan and will not recommend to anyone. Change plans...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Trupanion's doctors are as soulless as the doctors at human insurance companies. Over the years my cat was insured, Trupanion repeatedly twisted and connived her new illnesses into "pre-existing conditions" despite multiple appeals by the veterinary specialists who had spent years caring for her. Apparently the Trupanion assembly line doctors who never examined my cat knew better. On the single occasion Trupanion paid out, despite having covered a procedure, they refused to pay for the medication to treat the condition that the procedure discovered, claiming it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

This was fine when we had a young puppy and she could have issues - but it never will cover any heart conditions because she had a heart murmur. The primary reason is I gave them one star is they will not listen to the co-owner when you want to cancel the policy. Both of our names are on the policy but my husband signed the document. They want to market to him all the reasons why we should keep the insurance. I asked for this in an email three months ago. They still insist on billing our credit card and after a 30 minute call asking to talk to a supervisor they finally decided to take my word for and cancel the policy. In the end they say they will credit me from the time of my original email asking to cancel the policy. What they want to do is to appeal to your pet loving heart and make you stay with them. Ask to talk to a supervisor if you have an issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Beware of Trupanion! In 2009, I decided to get this insurance for my 2 month old puppy that I had adopted. I paid $31 monthly with $1000 deductible for "lifetime" of coverage. Sound good on paper, but I am now finding out that this insurance is useless and it is the worst insurance out there. In Sept 2019, my dog had a surgery to remove a lump on his paw, neck, and stomach area that cost $811. I also filed a claim for his eye and skin allergy bills worth $450. I thought I had met the $1000 deductible right? But NO! They categorized the lumps into two different lumps meaning my deductible was $2K and another $1K deductible for the eye/skin allergy. So for a $1261 claim, I had a $3k deductible in total. I was disappointed to say the least.

To make matters worst, a week ago I received an email that they are increasing my monthly fee from $31 to $38. I asked why and I was told that it was based off their data report. BS! This insurance is a SCAM! After 10 years of having this insurance, I have not seen a penny and now they want more money, are you ** kidding me? I hope they go out of business!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was notified by email of their auto renewal. I called in and talked with a woman and told her not to renew and cancel policy. They will not refund the back 3 months. My error for not checking my bank statement, but I have been ill with my own medical problems, cancer and not paying attention to that until recently reviewing my credit card statements. I cancelled because since being a client since 2016, they barely pay anything on the medical vet charges and it is NOT worth it. There are many ways they try to get out of paying, saying this needed to be a new issue or not a covered expense. Very unhappy with Trupanion and the product. They said they are a subscription type insurance and it they make a mistake and keep charging your credit card, get it in writing that you cancelled it with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

My Cat had eye infection and they rejected my claims, because they don’t cover this sickness. I was waiting to see this message over 4 months. Very bad experience, paying monthly for nothing. Thieves, very bad.

Trupanion Company Information