Trupanion

Trupanion

3.5/5 (176 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

For over 20 years, Trupanion pet insurance has offered comprehensive dog and cat insurance. It covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for accidents, illnesses, injuries, surgeries, hospital stays and many other costly vet visits. Trupanion does not cap payout limits to ensure your pet’s health needs are met. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Pet owners can also purchase additional coverage (Recovery and Complementary Care package) for services like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and hydrotherapy.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits
    • Lifetime per-incident deductible

Cons

• No discount for multiple pets
    • No coverage for routine wellness

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Original review: March 29, 2021

Trupanion is a company whose real product is false compassion. They are little more than a bureaucratic machine, one who couldn't care less for the role a pet plays in a family dynamic, and they leverage false tones and engineered kindness under the illusion of care. When attempting to file a claim, secure a pre-approval, or generate support for a pet's condition, policy holders are met with fake manufactured support, only to find any attempts at financial reimbursement and/or payments are met with the actions of a typical insurance company; at any and all costs, find a way to deny the claim.

In my case, failure to secure recent months veterinary history, due to COVID preventing visit, provided these financial mercenaries a reason to deny a claim which could have save my young dog's life. Instead, I am now forced to choose between essentially bankrupting myself or letting my beloved pet die of cancer years before he should. That is who Trupanion is - a company who will ultimately force you to choose between your financial stability or the life of a loved one, all the while collecting your premiums en route to supporting their ability to hire more claim reps well versed in false compassion. You shouldn't only avoid this company, you should actively support their investigation and ultimate demise. They are, in a single word, criminals.

Original review: March 24, 2021

They don't pay for anything. Always an excuse of how this or that isn't covered. My dog had an ear infection. I submitted a claim but they rejected it saying they don't pay for examination fees. Apparently the only part they'd cover is the ear drops. Of course that's less than the deductible. You pay $77/mth for years. Occasionally your dog needs to go to the vet. And Trupanion finds some reason why they shouldn't reimburse it. This is a scam.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Absolutely horrible. My puppy got sick, was throwing up and lethargic so I took her to a clinic. They did a bunch of tests to determine her stomach was inflamed and gave her an iv and prescription food. They said it could be from the post spay meds or ingesting something by accident. The cost of the visit was over $900 and they covered zero. What’s the point of pet insurance if they will not help when she’s sick and needs to go to the animal hospital? Oh and it took over two months for them to look at the claim. Absolutely horrible. I do not recommend wasting your money as they are stingy and will fight to not cover. I had already spent about $150 on the couple months I had the insurance.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I should have read the reviews but trusted a vet who recommended them because they were paid directly by Trupanion. Thirty day waiting period is mandatory while they take your money so you pay for a month, in addition to an administrative fee, for nothing. The two claims I filed were denied because of pre exiting conditions that were nonexistent. My guess is that this is their default for denials.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I paid Trupanion $80 a month for years thinking that my dog would be covered if something major happened. Submitted my first claim ($190 bill for pink eye) and they weaseled out of it saying it was a preexisting condition because years ago my dog had a physical injury to his eye. These are two separate and totally unrelated conditions but they are all about taking your money and will do anything to get out of paying out on a claim. A completely worthless waste of money. Sorry that I dumped thousands of dollars into this scam, wish I would have put it into a pet savings account instead!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I have been with Trupanion for 6 years and every single year there has been a premium increase. Usually it's by a couple dollars or ten dollars per month, so I didn't give it much thought. However, this year, they gave me a call and told me my premiums will be going up by 35% to $100 per month. My dog is healthy and never had to make a single claim. A hike this high is insane--and such a hard blow especially during Covid-19 times. So after the call with the agent, I decided to call customer service and cancel my policy. When I spoke to them, the second agent told me that my premiums were actually staying the same. I'm like, "excuse me? Your other agent just called me to tell me that it was going up to $100. Why would she call me to tell me that if it wasn't the case?"

She kept denying it and repeatedly told me that my premiums are staying the same for the upcoming year. She even offered to send me an email as written confirmation that my premiums were not going up. Emails are not contracts. Even if I did have an email, it wouldn't hold up in court. At this point, the whole situation just didn't feel right. So I asked that agent to call the other agent who initially called me to clarify the situation. After speaking with the first agent, the second agent then gets back to me and says the rates are indeed INCREASING by 35% and apologizes for the misinformation.

Her excuse was: "I didn't have access the information that the other agent had". Basically admitting to me that she lied to my face. What an unethical, sleazy tactic. I have ZERO trust and respect for this company. I have fortunately CANCELLED my policy today. It's the best decision I've ever made for my pet. I'm just going to put away $60 every month in a high interest savings account as a rainy day fund for my dog. This way, it'll also save me another future phone call with them to make a claim. Apparently, from other reviews, it's difficult to get any kind of payout with them even when you do have a legitimate claim.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have a negative experience with Trupanion. Keep in my that their insurance is condition based and they use vet techs to determine if your claim is eligible. They also take well over a month to review your case. I had three claims that were still under review for over a month. I had two cases in particular where I decided that I no longer wanted insurance with them.

In the first case, my dog suffered skin fold and chin infections. Trupanion did not reimburse me because they it was related to his allergies (a preexisting condition that they do not cover). They cited some records from a vet that made absolutely no sense on their response. The only way to consider an appeal is if your vet speaks with them.

The second case was an episode of vomiting. My dog vomits a couple times a year and it is not always clear as to whether he swallowed something or if it is some sort of gastroenteritis. Trupanion only reimburses for a condition and if the condition for the vomiting is unclear it may not get reimbursed and in my case it did not. They say that their claim submission process is easy but it is not. This particular claim was under review for several weeks because they needed a claim form. They did not tell me that I needed to complete this form and so it stayed pending info.

Last case: My dog had a benign mass removed and I asked for reimbursement for the surgery and I has my vet's office fax the records. Trupanion would not consider reimbursement until they saw the pathology report even though they said my records were complete without. How does seeing a pathology report have anything to do with reimbursing for surgery when they have the operative note from the vet. It was cheaper for me pay for my vet expenses out of pocket for my two dogs than to pay approximately $180 a month for this nonsense.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Please do not use Trupanion. We brought home a new pup and were sad to learn healthy paws no longer offered coverage in our state - so we turned to Trupanion. Our first claim for kennel cough was denied bc within the 30-day waiting window. Got it. Fair is fair. Post waiting-window our pup was having some severe pain at night every time she shifted she'd yelp for ten seconds or so. We brought her into the ER bc she was clearly in pain. Turned out to be growing pains and sore muscles thankfully. She just made a big drama about it.

Trupanion denied the claim bc when we brought her in for kennel cough (within the 30-day window) she showed signs of pain - well yeah, she had a 105 fever and kennel cough. She was achy. They unethically attached this fever pain as being pre-existing (post 30-day window) and tied it to the growing pain later experienced. Imagine if it were dysplasia nor something more serious - no coverage for all the ensuing treatment. Stay away from Trupanion - they will twist words to floss you If they can. With healthy paws I felt comfortable every time I submitted an invoice. Now I stress.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Trupanion is not an insurance company I will ever trust again. They prey on pet owners who love their pets. I recently, (for the first time), submitted claims because my dog has a bladder infection. My claims were denied because prior to starting my insurance I took my dog in for neck pain. They now claim that the neck pain was a precondition for a bladder infection and refuse to pay. I have been paying $120/month and this is how I'm treated? If anyone knows of lawsuits I can join so that the public can become aware of how this company treats its customers, please let me know.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I just received notice that my premiums will increase 30% a year. I have had the policy 6 years and at age 11 it may be too late to find another insurance company. I can assure you that this enormous increase will cause me to shop around and re-consider. When I called them I asked if enrollment is going down and they told me it’s going up and that in states like California and New York they’re seeing price increases. 30% increase? WOW! I wish it was that easy for all of us to just increase income 30%.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I am shocked at the way I have been treated by members of Trupanion. My experience with them was the worst I have ever experienced. I was denied on every occasion, for coverage for my dog - whom is under two years old, all because he vomited as a puppy (he ate a sock). They would not treat any issue if vomiting was involved - they even stated that "if he was hit by a car and vomited, they would not cover any medical treatment because he vomited."

If the vet does not word the visit a specific way, even if it is a new incident or injury, you are denied. They denied every single claim and the managers I spoke to denied me from requesting further assistance and speaking with someone above them. I am so disappointed with their service. Don't be tricked - Trupanion treats pre-existing symptoms the SAME as pre-existing conditions. I hope someone from Trupanion will reach out to me and rectify this issue, I am sorely disappointed and hurt by my experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I tried to sign up their insurance which was provided from the shelter but couldn’t because there was some issue and by the time I did my pet was Puking which they considered a preexisting condition and told they will not pay for any surgery if it was pre existing. He was vomiting that's it, not sure how that can be pre existing. My understanding for preexisting is from theirs.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I signed with Trupanion after they were recommended by my vet. They will find any reason to not cover claims and waste your time while doing so. It takes a painfully long time to just find out that things are not covered. My dog has behaviour issues that are not black and white and they are all being grouped together and basically nothing is covered and all ruled as pre-existing. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

DO NOT USE TRUPANION FOR A RESCUE! THEY WILL CLAIM PRE-EXISTING! We rescued a puppy on December 14, 2019 and purchased Trupanion Pet Insurance. Our pup with her 3 siblings were abandoned by mom at birth. They were rescued and bottled fed soon after. Once starting on kibble our pup has some diarrhea. We took her to the vet for a full check up. Fast forward one year, pup has diarrhea and a fecal test, blood test and meds ordered. Denied. Appealed and denied. Laughable that they have linked the two. Looking for a new insurer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

We came to Trupanion because many of our friends who are pet owners recommended them, little did we know that we would quickly come to regret this as the worst mistake of our pet-owning lives. Where do I even start?

Trupanion has:
    -the worst customer service
    -slowest processing time

-a cast of incompetent individuals that don't understand basic animal biology or have common sense

There is so much I need to say, but in the interest of time, I will use one example to illustrate all the points above. I enrolled my dog in Trupanion about half a year ago, prior to that he was very healthy, had no diseases, illnesses, major accidents or anything of the sort. We were very fortunate and thought that we shouldn't keep pushing our luck and should get insurance just in case. About a month or so ago my dog went with us to an off leash trail, where the fencing was broken unbeknownst to us, so he managed to escape to a nearby water treatment area and got himself completely soaked in the dirty water. A few days go by and he starts to show signs of a bacterial or parasitic infection on his skin, so we take him into the vet to go get it checked out. After some tests, the vet determined that he picked up two different strains of bacteria from the dirty water.

The vet gave us 2 options: to either use a topical antibacterial spray that we already had at home, or to start a more comprehensive but expensive treatment using antibiotics. We chose the former in the interest of saving money and because we didn't want to go straight to oral antibiotics because our dog already has a sensitive stomach. After a week or so of this treatment, we brought our dog back to the vet because the treatment was unsuccessful, as previously hypothesized by the vet (hence why they gave us 2 options). So we went with the second option after the first one didn't work. Thankfully this cleared up his infection but we were left with a pretty hefty bill. No worries though right? Trupanion will cover it!

It's not a pre-existing condition and we've already paid our deductible in full. But lo and behold, Trupanion has the audacity to tell us that this infection was a pre-existing condition. And you want to know why? Because previously my dog had some chafing from a very tight harness which caused some bruising and scabs on his skin, and Trupanion had the absolute gall to say that that makes it the same thing as the bacterial infection that my dog got from the dirty water, simply because they were both skin issues.

To make this whole experience even better, we had to submit an appeal the first time they rejected our claim, which we did and we also attached a detailed explanation by our attending vet explaining why their reasoning was pathetically wrong. But I guess in the end you can't teach those who were never in it to provide health insurance for your pets in the first place, and only in it to make money off of your pet's suffering. Just as a side note, from beginning to end, this whole process took over a month and a half because Trupanion really doesn't care about their customers or animal welfare, they're greedy, untrustworthy, and a truly truly reprehensible company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I am a longtime Trupanion Policyholder. I am very disappointed with the customer service. The rates have gone up extremely every year, and Trupanion makes changes to the policies without proper notification. And the customer serious is poor. If there is an issue, the customer comes last. Trupanion is another greedy, profit motivated corporation that puts its policyholders last. Save your own money monthly, instead being held hostage by companies like Trupanion who will rip you off over time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Do not bother. Horrible company. Trupanion in bad faith denied my dog's MRI stating that it was possibly preexisting when he had never been diagnosed or treated for a disk issue. A board certified veterinarian specifically stated this was a new issue but because my dog was being treated for a blood clot they used that as an excuse not to pay. They are not honest and will deny claims as much as possible. The people that make decisions have no medical background and speaking to them is like speaking to a brick wall because they do not understand medical issues. I would have been better off saving the premium every month.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I purchased pet insurance in 2013 when my dog was a puppy. Every year, without fail, my rates have increased. After a few years of this, I called to find out why the continuous increases...I was told it had to do with the increase in veterinary cost in my area. I bought that excuse for a few years but now it's been eight years and my monthly premium has more than doubled. I believe this is not fair practice. I have many types of insurance - auto, home, business, health, dental and NONE of them have increased like this pet insurance policy through Trupanion. I feel what they are doing is illegal and should be scrutinized by the appropriate agency.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Trupanion just increased my rates 38%. We've not submitted any claims to date. Our dog's health status has not changed (still very healthy). They claim that rate increases are NOT due to the fact that the pet's age increases. They claim that increases are due to trends in medical claim expenses based on (1) geographic area; (2) type of pet: breed/mixed breed, size and gender. So, for example, if there is a large increase in expenses for mid-sized female dogs in the Bay area (where I live), and if my dog fits that description, then my rates increase. BUT...(1) this is during COVID... Don't tell me that expenses have increased 38% during COVID; (2) don't tell me that there has been some massive increase in claims/expenses among mixed breed, mid-sized female dogs in my area. Certainly not a 38% increase!

Their own 10-Q states that there are very high increases in the revenues and only nominal increases in total claim expenses. I read elsewhere of similar complaints about huge premium rate increases by Trupanion. The only "true" thing about Trupanion is that it is a true bait and switch. Stay away from Trupanion. First, the math only works out in your favor if there is a long-term catastrophic disease state (e.g., cancer). Second, this is PURE BAIT AND SWITCH. SOOOO unethical. Disgusting. I've researched other similar complaints and have seen increases even greater than this. This video does seem to be telling the truth that rates don't increase each year b/c the pet ages each year; instead they screw you for any other reason they want.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Every year my rates go up. In 6 years my rates went up $26 a month and I had to higher my deductible if not it would have gone up a lot more. I’m paying $57 a month for my 6-year-old dog with a $500 deductible.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My experience with Trupanion has-been mostly positive. With my plan, Trupanion covers 90% of the cost for most vet visits-- but they do not cover testing fees or exam fees, which can be very expensive when trying to diagnose and properly treat your pet. My monthly premium is ~$18, which I feel is a fair price for 90% coverage on most expenses. The claims process is a piece of cake, too, which takes the headache out of filing a claim. You're done in a matter of seconds.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I pay nearly $30-month and the one time I called about an issue, I received the “that’s not covered” spiel. It seems far overpriced for limited services. I have a breed with potential health issues so I spend quite a bit on special food and keep him fit and vaccinated. I don’t feel secure with this company since I am a very dedicated owner with experience showing dogs, yet there seems to be fine print in the contract.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

When my dog needed medical care in several instances, they paid the claim without argument or procrastinating. Pet health insurance is priceless as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to be in a position where I have to choose between my dog's life and money. I tried the reimbursable pet insurances and had really bad service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Very friendly. Nice staff. Helpful. Would buy again for my Newfoundland dog. They have helped us with his care for 7 years so far! They are different as they insure by medical problems. Call them to obtain the information for your pet. You will be glad you did.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

They would not cover my dog for any dental because there was very mild tarter on 2 teeth which the vet said can easily be taken care of my brushing. My dog’s teeth are perfect. I had vet, vet dentist, and a friend that is in oral surgery look at it and all said the dog had excellent teeth. No inflamed gums, no bleeding, teeth are white, no cracks or broken teeth. I tried to tell Trupanion I would get X ray done of dog’s mouth to confirm no dental disease and take a picture of dog's mouth. They refused and said because it was noted by vet 2 teeth had very mild tartar there will be no coverage.

This company is a sham and what they are doing is illegal. That’s why they have been fined multiple times. Even had to pay hundreds of thousands in penalties. They sales reps sound nice and caring on the phone, but they are just truly well trained sales people that don’t care about your dog. Stay far away! They wouldn’t even give me my money back when I spent more in health care for my dogs than myself monthly and never used the insurance because they hadn’t told me up front what was covered and what wasn’t. It took them 4 months to send me the documents of coverage summaries for my pets and They just have a come back saying that insurance is preventative and it’s good I don’t need the insurance. Again, just a Bad sales pitch. Lol I will be contacting a lawyer to get my thousands back.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Trupanion cares! My dog needs meds daily and we are so thankful to have Trupanion on our side. It’s such a comfort to know there is no hassle with claims and almost immediate approval. Not like other insurance companies for sure! Thank you Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Great pet insurance at a great price. And I don't have to worry about being able to afford the vet in an emergency. I've had this for over a year now and I can't say how better I feel knowing I can handle whatever comes up with my fur babies.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I submitted claims for my puppy who had never been clinically diagnosed by a vet for allergies. The first claim was for diarrhea and chewing her feet. They approved the diarrhea but declared the chewing her feet allergies as a pre existing condition. She was only 6 months old. So how they figured that I don't know. They based it on a phone call I made to the vet asking if my puppy could take my previous dog's meds because I THOUGHT she MIGHT have what my other dog had. No clinical determination was made at all. My puppy still licks/chews her feet 2 months later. Meds did no good. Vet doesn't know what is causing the issue. My Vet called the ins. Co. They pretty much told her anything gastrointestinal would be considered allergy and disallowed and they overturned the diarrhea and decided it was due to allergies too. My vet still has not determined my puppy has allergies.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I was happy with Trupanion until it got unaffordable. I had a very sick dog and they had to pay a lot out for him. Now, I have two dogs and I can’t afford their premiums as they go up so much every year. I had to get my deductible raised to $1000 so I could afford a $49 a month premium. Well, about three months after I raised the deductible The premiums were increased to $63 a month.! That is a 22 % increase! It was about the same increase for my other dog. So I have two dogs on this insurance, I’m paying $112 a month and each dog has $1000 deductible. Once these two dogs are gone I Will be done with Trupanion. What a rip off! I will probably just save some money to put aside before I get another dog.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Don't bother getting pet insurance. I was with Trupanion for 7 years and only was able to use the insurance once. Every year monthly costs went up, we started at 30$ a month and were at 75$ a month by the time we canceled. We were basically being penalized for being good dog owners and having a healthy dog. Over the 7 years, we were with Trupanion, we have paid at least 5000$ for insurance that we were never able to use because our vet costs are quite low in our area and fees never met the deductible ($250 - 500$ deductible over the years). The only time we could use Trupanion the bill was only 400$. So we basically flushed 4500$ down the drain. It is much smarter to put away the 50$ every month in a savings account and have it grow to cover any unexpected vets costs, than to put money into insurance you may never use. Learn from our mistakes and make better financial decisions.

Trupanion Company Information