Trupanion

Trupanion Reviews

3.5/5 (272 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion Reviews

For over 20 years, Trupanion pet insurance has offered comprehensive dog and cat insurance. It covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for accidents, illnesses, injuries, surgeries, hospital stays and many other costly vet visits. Trupanion does not cap payout limits to ensure your pet’s health needs are met. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Pet owners can also purchase additional coverage (Recovery and Complementary Care package) for services like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and hydrotherapy.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits
    • Lifetime per-incident deductible

Cons

• No discount for multiple pets
    • No coverage for routine wellness

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I purchased Pet Insurance for my 1 year old newly adopted dog in 2010. It was $34.00 per month and they said they would not raise the premium based on their age. They raised the premium steadily, year after year, so that I'm now paying $80.00+ per month. Their reason is the cost of vet services in my area. When there is an illness or injury, they carefully pick through which part of it is not covered, so if they examine your pet due to the injury or illness, that is not covered.

My dog had a broken tooth and abscess so I took her to a dental veterinarian specialist I was referred to. The bill was over $3,500 but Trupanion excluded things like x-ray and exam that was needed before they took the tooth out. I got back $600.00 only. If my dog wasn't 12 years old, I might have switched to another company but by now, I'm stuck. Next time I will self-insure - just put a little aside every month in case of problems which usually happen later in life anyway. I've literally spent thousands with no return other than $600.00. I feel like I was duped.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Obviously your experience will depend on your deductible, breed of dog and location, but my experience was extremely disappointing. We have an Old English Bulldog in Southern California and the monthly price was prohibitively expensive. My policy was $98.50 a month for a $500 deductible with the standard 90/10 split.

If our dog lived to be 7 years old and then had an illness, that's $8400 that we would pay in premiums, then add the $500 deductible would make it to where we would have to accrue nearly $10,000 in medical bills before the policy paid for itself. Conversely, we continue to pay for a wellness plan with another company that reduces office visit costs, covered spay, flea medication, and reduces diagnostic fees. I understand that there are situations that would require this kind of money for treatment, but it is just too much to be spending monthly for, what could end up, being nothing in return. Again, your experiences may be different, but we just could not find a way to afford the monthly expense and Trupanion had no interest in helping us find a more affordable option.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Unfortunately, 0 stars wasn't an option... I have worked at a vet clinic for 10+ years and did a lot of research on pet insurance. Trupanion was the one I chose because they offer a lifetime deductible per incident of the pet. I have recommended them to hundreds of clients over the years. That's how much I believed in this company. Mind you they only cover 90% after your deductible of non preventative things. So they don't cover exam fees, they don't cover vaccinations, or wellness visits, and they don't cover dental cleanings. I was all aware of that when I signed up.

My problem arose when my dog developed a food sensitivity (after 5 years of paying their deductibles) to her food. Her Vet put her on a PRESCRIPTION (aka can't get without a Dr.s Rx) dog food. I just found out that oh they conveniently don't cover PRESCRIPTION dog food for more than 2 months (before I could even pay off my deductible). I am beyond disappointed with this snake of a company. I really thought, "Wow I'm so glad I have Trupanion for my pup. It really did pay off to have insurance for all these years." Then the denial letter came in... Unbelievable!!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Don't expect them to cover anything! They don't cover ANY exam fees even if it's an emergency visit and they only cover dental costs if your pet has a dental exam every 12 months. Absolute garbage. I am cancelling today and going to a different pet insurance.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We recently signed up for Trupanion pet insurance when we purchased a new pure breed Maine Coon kitten. We were told the first month of coverage came with our kitten purchase and we activated the coverage with Trupanion the day we picked up our kitten. Our breeder had told us she was treating our kitten for a “little bit of a kitten cold,” which we disclosed to our vet as he had been on an antibiotic prior to us picking him up. She also told us she was treating the other cats in her cattery.

When we took him to our vet for his required wellness exam, our veterinarian discovered with an x-ray that he had a severe diaphragmatic hernia that involved his liver and all of his intestines. We proceeded with surgery that was required to save his life, but have gone over 7K in debt. The "kitten cold" became part of his vet records and Trupanion has now denied our claim on the basis we knew there was something wrong with him when we activated his policy. Certainly all the cats in the cattery did not have this condition. A “kitten cold” is a far cry from a diaphragmatic hernia.

Our vet and the surgeon both spoke with Trupanion on our behalf and our claim is still denied. Our breeder has done nothing to help us and Trupanion has been equally unhelpful. I would highly recommend spending your money with another pet insurance company. Trupanion is clearly all about the bottom line and not honoring their clients. We planned to be long time Trupanion customers, but that is no longer the case!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

This company is a total scam, don’t waste your money! I had 2 Yorkies that passed away at 17 years old. Over the years, medical problems arose and I paid huge amounts of money for their care. When I got 2 new puppies this year and my Vet recommended them stating they were great and paid for everything, I figured it would be wise to insure the new pups. They cover NOTHING! Everything, no matter when it happens in your pet’s life will be denied as a “pre-existing condition”. I have 3 policies for 3 different dogs and I’m out thousands of dollars in Vet bills - they have literally covered $0.

No matter how insignificant the problem, they will find a way to deny your claims stating it’s a pre-existing condition. Ear infections, vomiting, diarrhea, etc... You better pray your pet only gets it once in their life, because they’ll consider it pre-existing and never pay. To add insult to injury, I’m getting the run around about canceling my 3 policies and I’m currently waiting for a call back from a Manager - which I’m not holding my breath on. I’ve paid well over $1000 in premiums, and they’ve covered nothing. I can’t stress this enough - they will NOT cover anything - it’s a SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

This review should be enough to keep anyone from trusting these crooks. I've been a Trupanion customer for about five years. During this time, my two cats both developed new issues that Trupanion was happy to cover, and this was after they did a full comprehensive medical review on both the animals. This past month Trupanion made rule changes to their policy that now states they are reclassifying this condition as a pre-existing condition for these cats. Not because they discovered new information about my cats, and not because of any error of my own. Basically they were saying that if I tried to get insurance for the cats in 2016 again, their new policy would have identified them as having a pre-existing condition. But it's not 2016, it is 2021. Now that we are several years into the agreement, they are saying the new condition that appeared during these years is actually a pre-existing condition now.

And if they do this once, what's to say they won't do it again? I understand they may want to change their terms, but my pets should have been grandfathered in. And I've talked spoke with their customer rep and they agreed it was basically, yeah, kind of a crappy thing they did, but oh well, nothing to do about it. I'm dipping out of Trupanion. Their rates are already too high for what they cover (you can get the same stuff for cheaper from Pets Best + extra options). Obviously the new insurance I get will classify my cats' condition as pre-existing, but I'd rather find an honest company than one that will stab me in the back later.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Trupanion is not cost effective when you’ve got a large group of pets, especially when you factor in wellness checkups, dentals, bloodwork, etc. If you have a lot of rescues, like I do, steer clear. My policy costs continue to rise every year and I’ve used them for two emergencies over the course of the last 6 years. I’ve had to raise my deductible to keep my policies somewhat affordable. They say they don’t raise your policy based on age, but they raise your policy costs in other ways, so it comes out to be the same as if the policy increased due to your pet’s age. Especially now with the pandemic, with people not making as much as before, or even having a job at all, it’s difficult trying to cover your pet if something happens… and you don’t know so you continue paying the increasing policy costs.

I don’t understand why there aren’t more insurance companies, doctors and veterinarians, who would take these things into consideration. I wish they covered more with their policies, but to me, they are just another insurance company, nothing special. If you have a sickly pet, this company is for you, but if you have a large 4 legged family, as I do, steer clear.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I've written less than 2 negative reviews in my life. Here is my second. Their entire business model is a scam. I learned the hard way that their deductible limit is PER INCIDENT, and is not annual (like every other health insurance company out there for humans and pets). Honestly I don't even know how this is legal. They tout that they will cover a new condition for life once you meet your deductible for that specific incident/condition, but think about it... How many of you when your dogs are young or aged 1-5 will develop a chronic condition?? How easy will it be for them to dodge coverage claiming your vet visits are all unique incidents? And for those with older pets, remember, these pet insurance companies won’t cover pre-existing conditions! What a perfect business model for profits!

My experience with them has been horrendous as I'm paying an absurd monthly premium for a high deductible plan. Whereas, with literally every other pet insurance company I've been quoted for rates less than my current monthly premium, a much lower ANNUAL deductible that IS NOT PER INCIDENT, and 90% coverage. To get the same with Trupanion would have my monthly premium near the 3-digit range FOR A PUPPY. Good grief.

My puppy has gotten himself into trouble over the last year+ as he is very energetic, playful, and curious and I'm out thousands due to the handful of vet visits I've needed. And guess what, Trupanion hasn't covered anything. Why? Because none of the unique vet visits have exceeded my deductible. It literally resets every time. If you think about it..... You can visit the vet over a dozen times for various reasons and Trupanion doesn't have to cover anything if you don't meet your deductible for that specific incident/condition. They just sit back and collect the dough. Steer well clear of this company and their slimy business model. It is structured this way to ensure and maximize profits at the expense of actually doing what they exist to do.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I am extremely disappointed with Trupanion. Not only do they aggressively hike up monthly coverage costs (I am now paying well over $200 per dog, per month), they have an extremely liberal interpretation of "pre-existing condition." The way their claims adjusters justify denial of claims would not be supported by anyone with a reasonable sense of cause and effect. One of my dogs had a UTI, and they denied coverage because 3 years earlier she also had a UTI. What kind of reasoning is that? I wish I had not paid so much money to them over the years. I am actively researching alternatives.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

This company will find any reason to not approve your claims. After reading the other reviews, I see that my experience is normal business practice for these crooks. My 3 year old pug had an allergy issue that was mentioned ONE time in his history and now every claim we do is blamed on allergies. He had an ear infection. Denied. Reason? Allergies. He had a small growth on his skin. Denied. Reason? Allergies. The procedure to burn it off? Denied. Reason? Other (guess they couldn’t find a reason to deny that one, didn't stop them though). Do not spend your money here. Find another insurance company because Trupanion will have you paying a ton in premiums to cover ZERO.

Original review: July 27, 2021

On their website Trupanion claims that they will pay 50% for prescription pet food. The two times I got prescription pet food for my vet they did not pay 50%. They get around this by their policy of paying 90% payout for claims. They claim this applies to the prescription pet food and they end up paying 90% of their 50% share. That is not right. Since they say they pay 50% they should pay 50%. 50% means 50% of the total bill, not 90% of their 50% share. This is deceptive advertising.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Trupanion will deny your claims and rip you off. I bought the insurance for my dog Bruce when I got him. It turns out that he had aggression and behavior issues. Lucky for me that Trupanion covers that! Only they didn’t. They repeatedly denied claims. I was told that I need to get approval for a vet for Bruce to receive behavior modification training, which I did. They denied the claim and told me that he had to be under the direct supervision of behavior modification licensed vet. That service does not exist in Austin or anywhere nearby. Terrible service. They will take your money and do everything in their power not to pay out a claim. Run away from this company! Set aside the money yourself…. That is far more useful than this service.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had just adopted a 1 yr old cat. I signed up for Trupanion. I was on the plan for 15 days when she started limping and not using her paw. I took her in, and they said it looked like some kind of chemical burn or something. They took out a little piece of sticky gooey substance that was stuck in her inner paw between her toes. They put it down as inflamed pododermatitis. The vet said that whatever it was caused it to inflame. It was not a pre existing condition. The vet called them to explain this, and all they said to me was from their notes, the vet agreed with them. I had just spoken with the vet earlier and they did not say that. On top of that, it took them 2 months to get papers from the vet only… Ridiculous. They keep saying it's within the waiting period…. 30 days.. But it was not an illness or pre existing, so the waiting period is 5 days… I had 15 days in.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I have paid then over $159 a month for 7 years. I added a rider last year for my 13 year old golden for acupuncture. I felt he may be in pain but not sure. I did not use the rider for 6 months. Started acupuncture and out in claims and they rejected them saying it was pre existing since he was on a prescribed anti-inflammatory. These people are horrible. I switched my other two Goldens over to Lemonade which has been amazing!! Stay away from Trupanion.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I’m aware of the 30 day waiting period but the pre existing condition is bull. Even that 30 day period is unacceptable. They say they care about pets, they don’t. They care about money and profit. Why would I pay the monthly premium and activation fee if my dog isn’t even covered for 30 days for illnesses? Why would a trip to emergency not be covered? It’s hogwash. Stay far away - not worth the monthly premium for regular trips to vet and even some emergencies! Highly suggest opening up a savings account for your pet and putting money in there monthly rather than in pockets of these shameless insurance companies.

Original review: May 18, 2021

This is probably going to be the most honest review on Trupanion that you can find. First off I just want to say that the customer service alone is not the best and every time I called with a problem to get more information on and for their help, to sum it up I would always be told NO. They never tried to do anything to better my experience and or help in any way they can to ensure I wouldn't stop giving them my business. The reason being for that is because Trupanion is actually a small company hence why they are strict and they don't always tell you everything when you are first signing up, very shady business. My mistake was during the waiting period, which is 30 days and very stupid, I fed my dogs too many treats and she got sick. Well Trupanion consider that a pre-existing condition because it happened during the waiting period and won't be covered if she ever got constipated by something else.

I admit my mistake but my dog is doing fine now and it doesn't affect her living and she doesn't need to take medication for it so how are you going to tell me this is a condition when this only happened because of treats. I had fought with them trying to tell them that is so unfair because it is not a pre-existing condition and that my dog has a clean bill of health and they knew that when I first signed up. With very valid information of my dog being healthy and even my vet connecting with Trupanion because she didn't agree with their service of considering this a pre-existing condition, they did not care to try to help me and their final answer was NO sorry. So strike number 1.

Strike number 2 is they don't cover for the simplest things that can added up which is vaccines, deworming, taxes, appointment fees, or any other fees. That alone can cost up to $100 each time you go to the vet when you have a brand new puppy, so why am I paying for Trupanion thinking they would help me out when I'm paying for the vet bill every time just because they don't cover vaccines or fees etc. I'm just throwing money out the window. What I really don't agree with is a statement on their website about what they don't cover which is that they don't cover any sickness that could have been prevented by a vaccine and or dewormer.

So in my head I think ok well some people are unable to afford all those vaccines and deworming because like I said they can add up, so wouldn't Trupanion want to cover that so it can prevent the dog getting sick, or ensure a healthy dog and help out by covering for all those things like even the taxes and fees, vaccines deworming, well NO they don't. So really what is the point of having Trupanion. They do cover a lot when your dog is in a accident and or your dog is really sick even though you had the vaccines done and all that stuff, but that is the only time they cover for you. Otherwise you are stuck paying everything else and if you don't have the extra benefits well you are just screwed. Not to mention they barely cover anything dental related, honestly the list goes on about what they don't cover and they don't tell you about, once again very shady business.

Strike number 3 is that you are unable to change your plan/policy and you are stuck with what you get when you first sign up. If you get a puppy how are you suppose to know if you would need extra benefits in the future, I guess better to be safe than sorry, but even if you were paying for the extra stuff and you came to realize that you are pretty responsible and your dog is very healthy so it's not worth paying extra and want to take out those extra benefits, well you can't. You are stuck with it for the duration you have your dog. Or if you realize, "Hey maybe I want this extra stuff because my dog has been going through a lot" well nope. Sorry. Can't add it into your plan. That is one of the things they don't fully explain to you when they first sign up.

I try to add the extra benefits and if I had to cancel my plan and re-signed up and wait the 30 days again just so I can have the extra coverage, then ok I'll do it but the representative kept telling me she doesn't advise me doing that and I had asked her, "Ok. What do you advise me to do," and she didn't have an answer for me which takes me back to when I say they don't try to do anything to help you to ensure your business with them, they can honestly care less. I switched to Petsecure and many people switch from Trupanion to Petsecure because of the poor business.

Petsecure is Canadian proud and the leading pet insurance in Canada where Trupanion is American but offer business in Canada. Petsecure covers everything that Trupanion doesn't cover and more. If you get the Secure 4 plan, which is pricey but you know what it is worth it because it covers fees, taxes, vaccines, and deworming then you will be walking out of the vet office paying close to $0 each time because they cover way more and you can change your plan anytime you like hassle free. Petsecure covers pre-existing conditions as well but I advise to get more information on that by calling them. Do yourself a favor and get Petsecure.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Trupanion has been very disappointing! I cancelled my policy with them about 6 years ago when they refused to pay out a claim after having changed my deductible for 1 month and then switched back to its original lower deductible. I SHOULD HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THEM! I decided to try them again at my vet's recommendation because of their new direct pay options and 100% increase in the premiums of my pet's other insurance carrier at the time.

First, I was mislead to believe that the deductible was annual not per condition; and Second, I recently submitted a claim to be applied towards my pet's high deductible for medication wipes for a vaginal yeast infection that was caused by recent antibiotics and surgical gown for 3 weeks, not a chronic skin condition that they proclaim. Additionally they are basing their denial on a "possible ear infection" noted in my dog's vet records in the past 18 months, noting that somehow a POSSIBLE ear infection is related to a vaginal yeast infection! Come on! I do NOT recommend this company even if they have direct pay. I don't trust that they would even pay out directly to the vets!

Original review: May 8, 2021

Their business practices are unethical and it’s disgusting - as with all pet insurance companies: “Excluding pre-existing conditions is standard in the pet insurance industry”. This used to be the standard for human health insurance as well, but it’s unethical and now illegal. Just because the pet insurance industry doesn’t have the same regulation, it doesn’t mean it’s okay to do this. It’s sad that companies like theirs have to be forced to do the right thing instead of just doing good. They're hurting animals and ultimately hurting people who want to care for their pets. No matter what condition my dog had, they found a way to make it pre-existing. She always had vomiting and they said because it existed before she had the policy, and anything arising from vomiting (which is a lot of conditions) is excluded.

Original review: May 7, 2021

They're refusing to cover a recent claim because it's "pre-existing." Our cat had coccidia as a kitten (which caused malodorous feces, the symptom Trupanion won't cover which isn't even a symptom now) and doesn't have coccidia anymore which is easily proven. Since she was treated for coccidia, she not only doesn't have coccidia anymore, she also doesn't have the malodourous feces either.

She started vomiting and not eating much most recently (a completely new & different thing not connected at all to the "pre-existing SYMPTOM" which she doesn't have anymore because she doesn't have coccidia anymore which was the CAUSE of the malodourous feces!) and Trupanion is saying it's all the same thing - all digestive (with their high school educations, of course). They simply won't cover her because it's "digestive" (the rep's actual words). Don't get Trupanion. They're a very dishonest company & group of people.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Scam. Horrendous coverage. Everything you ever submit gets declined if you ever once have taken your dog for a general symptom like they seemed lethargic before getting the policy. My dog has been to the vet three times for which I tried to submit a claim and they were all declined despite there being different reasons for the lethargy (one time was accompanied with vomiting, one time was a urinary tract infection, and one time was a slipped disc). All three diagnoses had lethargy as an accompanying symptom and so all three were declined coverage. I've wasted thousands of dollars with these crooks. They also take 1-2 months to file a claim and get a response.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Started at $75 3 years ago and now up to $150. The reasoning is; if animals of the same type are claiming in your area your payments will rise also. I have a mixed breed dog, most dog are cross bred lol. I’ve never claimed, never missed payment, never called to question, the last hike was 100 to 150.. I think I’m done.

Original review: April 7, 2021

As most have said this company raised their rates 33+% for no reason other than profits. They make absurd associations to try VERY hard to find a reason to get something categorized as "Pre Existing" and they usually do. Yes. It's entirely on HOW the Vet writes up your visit. Always only have 1 thing on your appointment, don't mingle things together, like hey we are going to the vet so let's have them check for this as well. That's a recipe for disaster trying to get a claim paid through these criminal LOSERS. I hope they go out of business and the CEO as rich as he or she might be suffers somehow in the future, they don't helps people in society. They add to the Plight of the avg citizen, taking money (and too much of it) they SUCK HUGE, CANCEL your policy ASAP>!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Trupanion is a company whose real product is false compassion. They are little more than a bureaucratic machine, one who couldn't care less for the role a pet plays in a family dynamic, and they leverage false tones and engineered kindness under the illusion of care. When attempting to file a claim, secure a pre-approval, or generate support for a pet's condition, policy holders are met with fake manufactured support, only to find any attempts at financial reimbursement and/or payments are met with the actions of a typical insurance company; at any and all costs, find a way to deny the claim.

In my case, failure to secure recent months veterinary history, due to COVID preventing visit, provided these financial mercenaries a reason to deny a claim which could have save my young dog's life. Instead, I am now forced to choose between essentially bankrupting myself or letting my beloved pet die of cancer years before he should. That is who Trupanion is - a company who will ultimately force you to choose between your financial stability or the life of a loved one, all the while collecting your premiums en route to supporting their ability to hire more claim reps well versed in false compassion. You shouldn't only avoid this company, you should actively support their investigation and ultimate demise. They are, in a single word, criminals.

Original review: March 24, 2021

They don't pay for anything. Always an excuse of how this or that isn't covered. My dog had an ear infection. I submitted a claim but they rejected it saying they don't pay for examination fees. Apparently the only part they'd cover is the ear drops. Of course that's less than the deductible. You pay $77/mth for years. Occasionally your dog needs to go to the vet. And Trupanion finds some reason why they shouldn't reimburse it. This is a scam.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Absolutely horrible. My puppy got sick, was throwing up and lethargic so I took her to a clinic. They did a bunch of tests to determine her stomach was inflamed and gave her an iv and prescription food. They said it could be from the post spay meds or ingesting something by accident. The cost of the visit was over $900 and they covered zero. What’s the point of pet insurance if they will not help when she’s sick and needs to go to the animal hospital? Oh and it took over two months for them to look at the claim. Absolutely horrible. I do not recommend wasting your money as they are stingy and will fight to not cover. I had already spent about $150 on the couple months I had the insurance.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I should have read the reviews but trusted a vet who recommended them because they were paid directly by Trupanion. Thirty day waiting period is mandatory while they take your money so you pay for a month, in addition to an administrative fee, for nothing. The two claims I filed were denied because of pre exiting conditions that were nonexistent. My guess is that this is their default for denials.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I paid Trupanion $80 a month for years thinking that my dog would be covered if something major happened. Submitted my first claim ($190 bill for pink eye) and they weaseled out of it saying it was a preexisting condition because years ago my dog had a physical injury to his eye. These are two separate and totally unrelated conditions but they are all about taking your money and will do anything to get out of paying out on a claim. A completely worthless waste of money. Sorry that I dumped thousands of dollars into this scam, wish I would have put it into a pet savings account instead!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I have been with Trupanion for 6 years and every single year there has been a premium increase. Usually it's by a couple dollars or ten dollars per month, so I didn't give it much thought. However, this year, they gave me a call and told me my premiums will be going up by 35% to $100 per month. My dog is healthy and never had to make a single claim. A hike this high is insane--and such a hard blow especially during Covid-19 times. So after the call with the agent, I decided to call customer service and cancel my policy. When I spoke to them, the second agent told me that my premiums were actually staying the same. I'm like, "excuse me? Your other agent just called me to tell me that it was going up to $100. Why would she call me to tell me that if it wasn't the case?"

She kept denying it and repeatedly told me that my premiums are staying the same for the upcoming year. She even offered to send me an email as written confirmation that my premiums were not going up. Emails are not contracts. Even if I did have an email, it wouldn't hold up in court. At this point, the whole situation just didn't feel right. So I asked that agent to call the other agent who initially called me to clarify the situation. After speaking with the first agent, the second agent then gets back to me and says the rates are indeed INCREASING by 35% and apologizes for the misinformation.

Her excuse was: "I didn't have access the information that the other agent had". Basically admitting to me that she lied to my face. What an unethical, sleazy tactic. I have ZERO trust and respect for this company. I have fortunately CANCELLED my policy today. It's the best decision I've ever made for my pet. I'm just going to put away $60 every month in a high interest savings account as a rainy day fund for my dog. This way, it'll also save me another future phone call with them to make a claim. Apparently, from other reviews, it's difficult to get any kind of payout with them even when you do have a legitimate claim.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have a negative experience with Trupanion. Keep in my that their insurance is condition based and they use vet techs to determine if your claim is eligible. They also take well over a month to review your case. I had three claims that were still under review for over a month. I had two cases in particular where I decided that I no longer wanted insurance with them.

In the first case, my dog suffered skin fold and chin infections. Trupanion did not reimburse me because they it was related to his allergies (a preexisting condition that they do not cover). They cited some records from a vet that made absolutely no sense on their response. The only way to consider an appeal is if your vet speaks with them.

The second case was an episode of vomiting. My dog vomits a couple times a year and it is not always clear as to whether he swallowed something or if it is some sort of gastroenteritis. Trupanion only reimburses for a condition and if the condition for the vomiting is unclear it may not get reimbursed and in my case it did not. They say that their claim submission process is easy but it is not. This particular claim was under review for several weeks because they needed a claim form. They did not tell me that I needed to complete this form and so it stayed pending info.

Last case: My dog had a benign mass removed and I asked for reimbursement for the surgery and I has my vet's office fax the records. Trupanion would not consider reimbursement until they saw the pathology report even though they said my records were complete without. How does seeing a pathology report have anything to do with reimbursing for surgery when they have the operative note from the vet. It was cheaper for me pay for my vet expenses out of pocket for my two dogs than to pay approximately $180 a month for this nonsense.

Trupanion Company Information