2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.7/5 (296 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: May 18, 2021

This is probably going to be the most honest review on Trupanion that you can find. First off I just want to say that the customer service alone is not the best and every time I called with a problem to get more information on and for their help, to sum it up I would always be told NO. They never tried to do anything to better my experience and or help in any way they can to ensure I wouldn't stop giving them my business. The reason being for that is because Trupanion is actually a small company hence why they are strict and they don't always tell you everything when you are first signing up, very shady business. My mistake was during the waiting period, which is 30 days and very stupid, I fed my dogs too many treats and she got sick. Well Trupanion consider that a pre-existing condition because it happened during the waiting period and won't be covered if she ever got constipated by something else.

I admit my mistake but my dog is doing fine now and it doesn't affect her living and she doesn't need to take medication for it so how are you going to tell me this is a condition when this only happened because of treats. I had fought with them trying to tell them that is so unfair because it is not a pre-existing condition and that my dog has a clean bill of health and they knew that when I first signed up. With very valid information of my dog being healthy and even my vet connecting with Trupanion because she didn't agree with their service of considering this a pre-existing condition, they did not care to try to help me and their final answer was NO sorry. So strike number 1.

Strike number 2 is they don't cover for the simplest things that can added up which is vaccines, deworming, taxes, appointment fees, or any other fees. That alone can cost up to $100 each time you go to the vet when you have a brand new puppy, so why am I paying for Trupanion thinking they would help me out when I'm paying for the vet bill every time just because they don't cover vaccines or fees etc. I'm just throwing money out the window. What I really don't agree with is a statement on their website about what they don't cover which is that they don't cover any sickness that could have been prevented by a vaccine and or dewormer.

So in my head I think ok well some people are unable to afford all those vaccines and deworming because like I said they can add up, so wouldn't Trupanion want to cover that so it can prevent the dog getting sick, or ensure a healthy dog and help out by covering for all those things like even the taxes and fees, vaccines deworming, well NO they don't. So really what is the point of having Trupanion. They do cover a lot when your dog is in a accident and or your dog is really sick even though you had the vaccines done and all that stuff, but that is the only time they cover for you. Otherwise you are stuck paying everything else and if you don't have the extra benefits well you are just screwed. Not to mention they barely cover anything dental related, honestly the list goes on about what they don't cover and they don't tell you about, once again very shady business.

Strike number 3 is that you are unable to change your plan/policy and you are stuck with what you get when you first sign up. If you get a puppy how are you suppose to know if you would need extra benefits in the future, I guess better to be safe than sorry, but even if you were paying for the extra stuff and you came to realize that you are pretty responsible and your dog is very healthy so it's not worth paying extra and want to take out those extra benefits, well you can't. You are stuck with it for the duration you have your dog. Or if you realize, "Hey maybe I want this extra stuff because my dog has been going through a lot" well nope. Sorry. Can't add it into your plan. That is one of the things they don't fully explain to you when they first sign up.

I try to add the extra benefits and if I had to cancel my plan and re-signed up and wait the 30 days again just so I can have the extra coverage, then ok I'll do it but the representative kept telling me she doesn't advise me doing that and I had asked her, "Ok. What do you advise me to do," and she didn't have an answer for me which takes me back to when I say they don't try to do anything to help you to ensure your business with them, they can honestly care less. I switched to Petsecure and many people switch from Trupanion to Petsecure because of the poor business.

Petsecure is Canadian proud and the leading pet insurance in Canada where Trupanion is American but offer business in Canada. Petsecure covers everything that Trupanion doesn't cover and more. If you get the Secure 4 plan, which is pricey but you know what it is worth it because it covers fees, taxes, vaccines, and deworming then you will be walking out of the vet office paying close to $0 each time because they cover way more and you can change your plan anytime you like hassle free. Petsecure covers pre-existing conditions as well but I advise to get more information on that by calling them. Do yourself a favor and get Petsecure.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Trupanion has been very disappointing! I cancelled my policy with them about 6 years ago when they refused to pay out a claim after having changed my deductible for 1 month and then switched back to its original lower deductible. I SHOULD HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THEM! I decided to try them again at my vet's recommendation because of their new direct pay options and 100% increase in the premiums of my pet's other insurance carrier at the time.

First, I was mislead to believe that the deductible was annual not per condition; and Second, I recently submitted a claim to be applied towards my pet's high deductible for medication wipes for a vaginal yeast infection that was caused by recent antibiotics and surgical gown for 3 weeks, not a chronic skin condition that they proclaim. Additionally they are basing their denial on a "possible ear infection" noted in my dog's vet records in the past 18 months, noting that somehow a POSSIBLE ear infection is related to a vaginal yeast infection! Come on! I do NOT recommend this company even if they have direct pay. I don't trust that they would even pay out directly to the vets!

Original review: May 8, 2021

Their business practices are unethical and it’s disgusting - as with all pet insurance companies: “Excluding pre-existing conditions is standard in the pet insurance industry”. This used to be the standard for human health insurance as well, but it’s unethical and now illegal. Just because the pet insurance industry doesn’t have the same regulation, it doesn’t mean it’s okay to do this. It’s sad that companies like theirs have to be forced to do the right thing instead of just doing good. They're hurting animals and ultimately hurting people who want to care for their pets. No matter what condition my dog had, they found a way to make it pre-existing. She always had vomiting and they said because it existed before she had the policy, and anything arising from vomiting (which is a lot of conditions) is excluded.

Original review: May 7, 2021

They're refusing to cover a recent claim because it's "pre-existing." Our cat had coccidia as a kitten (which caused malodorous feces, the symptom Trupanion won't cover which isn't even a symptom now) and doesn't have coccidia anymore which is easily proven. Since she was treated for coccidia, she not only doesn't have coccidia anymore, she also doesn't have the malodourous feces either.

She started vomiting and not eating much most recently (a completely new & different thing not connected at all to the "pre-existing SYMPTOM" which she doesn't have anymore because she doesn't have coccidia anymore which was the CAUSE of the malodourous feces!) and Trupanion is saying it's all the same thing - all digestive (with their high school educations, of course). They simply won't cover her because it's "digestive" (the rep's actual words). Don't get Trupanion. They're a very dishonest company & group of people.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Scam. Horrendous coverage. Everything you ever submit gets declined if you ever once have taken your dog for a general symptom like they seemed lethargic before getting the policy. My dog has been to the vet three times for which I tried to submit a claim and they were all declined despite there being different reasons for the lethargy (one time was accompanied with vomiting, one time was a urinary tract infection, and one time was a slipped disc). All three diagnoses had lethargy as an accompanying symptom and so all three were declined coverage. I've wasted thousands of dollars with these crooks. They also take 1-2 months to file a claim and get a response.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Started at $75 3 years ago and now up to $150. The reasoning is; if animals of the same type are claiming in your area your payments will rise also. I have a mixed breed dog, most dog are cross bred lol. I’ve never claimed, never missed payment, never called to question, the last hike was 100 to 150.. I think I’m done.

Original review: April 7, 2021

As most have said this company raised their rates 33+% for no reason other than profits. They make absurd associations to try VERY hard to find a reason to get something categorized as "Pre Existing" and they usually do. Yes. It's entirely on HOW the Vet writes up your visit. Always only have 1 thing on your appointment, don't mingle things together, like hey we are going to the vet so let's have them check for this as well. That's a recipe for disaster trying to get a claim paid through these criminal LOSERS. I hope they go out of business and the CEO as rich as he or she might be suffers somehow in the future, they don't helps people in society. They add to the Plight of the avg citizen, taking money (and too much of it) they SUCK HUGE, CANCEL your policy ASAP>!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Trupanion is a company whose real product is false compassion. They are little more than a bureaucratic machine, one who couldn't care less for the role a pet plays in a family dynamic, and they leverage false tones and engineered kindness under the illusion of care. When attempting to file a claim, secure a pre-approval, or generate support for a pet's condition, policy holders are met with fake manufactured support, only to find any attempts at financial reimbursement and/or payments are met with the actions of a typical insurance company; at any and all costs, find a way to deny the claim.

In my case, failure to secure recent months veterinary history, due to COVID preventing visit, provided these financial mercenaries a reason to deny a claim which could have save my young dog's life. Instead, I am now forced to choose between essentially bankrupting myself or letting my beloved pet die of cancer years before he should. That is who Trupanion is - a company who will ultimately force you to choose between your financial stability or the life of a loved one, all the while collecting your premiums en route to supporting their ability to hire more claim reps well versed in false compassion. You shouldn't only avoid this company, you should actively support their investigation and ultimate demise. They are, in a single word, criminals.

Original review: March 24, 2021

They don't pay for anything. Always an excuse of how this or that isn't covered. My dog had an ear infection. I submitted a claim but they rejected it saying they don't pay for examination fees. Apparently the only part they'd cover is the ear drops. Of course that's less than the deductible. You pay $77/mth for years. Occasionally your dog needs to go to the vet. And Trupanion finds some reason why they shouldn't reimburse it. This is a scam.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Absolutely horrible. My puppy got sick, was throwing up and lethargic so I took her to a clinic. They did a bunch of tests to determine her stomach was inflamed and gave her an iv and prescription food. They said it could be from the post spay meds or ingesting something by accident. The cost of the visit was over $900 and they covered zero. What’s the point of pet insurance if they will not help when she’s sick and needs to go to the animal hospital? Oh and it took over two months for them to look at the claim. Absolutely horrible. I do not recommend wasting your money as they are stingy and will fight to not cover. I had already spent about $150 on the couple months I had the insurance.

Trupanion Company Information