2. Pets

Trupanion
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Similar to many insurance companies Trupanion will use any excuse, whether valid or not to deny a claim. One dog had a surgical procedure, part of which involved the examination of a tumor. They did not cover part of the surgery because they do not cover examinations. The vet launched an appeal but they remained firm. Had the record used the word investigation it would have been covered. My recent denial was because I noticed a new dog holding her urine. I took her to a specialist who did complete lab work and said everything was fine. A month later she has an UTI and this is dismissed as a pre-existing condition. Again the vet called to explain that there was no evidence of a previous UTI, and again they maintain their previous verdict of ineligible. Shameful.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

We took out Trupanion a few years ago to help provide coverage for unexpected big expenses which we have now had to endure. Their coverage is very disappointing. It is no wonder that people do not keep their pets when they get sick. Trupanion does not cover the tax you pay on your expense. You need to take them to see a specialist which you think won’t be an issue. Well - don’t expect them to cover your examination or consultation fee which can be expensive. Why? When I asked, they don't cover it because (according to them) that fee covers the cost of operating the clinic - for the techs, building costs, hydro etc. We have been paying a consulting fee to consult with and be seen by a specialist!

Our senior dog started having heart issues, so we took her to a specialist - over $1200 bill. We had higher deductible because we wanted to keep monthly insurance cost down because of dogs age. Deductible $1000 so I thought we would get $200 back - nope. Take off tax, take off the 185 for cost to be seen by specialist, then when they had it whittled down, they pay only 90%. What we paid didn’t even cover the deductible. The cardiologist recommended further testing to see if there were underlying conditions that could be affecting her heart. One of tests recommended was ultrasound. They found liver values were out - and did ultrasound - not covered. Have to pay another $1000 deductible.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

If your cat or dog has any pre-conditions prior to obtaining Trupanion insurance, they will steal your premiums on a monthly basis. When you file a claim they will not pay!!! They will make some incredible reach of how that pre-condition is the cause for your current illness. You can call me at ** to discuss!! My name is Sam and I will save you a lot of money and pain!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My vet has to perform a surgery on my years old baby because she had a growth on her neck. We submitted all her medical record for the surgery. And Trupanion requests all her medical records dating back to few years ago, unrelated to her surgery. We provided them all the vets info and they still requested more. We were exhausted with their requests and decided to pay for the surgery ourselves and cancel this so-called insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

In the 5+ years that I have paid for this insurance, I have had 95% of my claims denied. I did appeal several of them and it got pretty ugly, but they finally paid out on a couple. Till this day, they rule "pre-existing condition" or not covered for everything. They basically don't pay for anything. They should just tell out that you are going to pay a lot of money for them, but they will never pay you back, and if you get close, you have to pay your deductible first before ever getting a reimbursement. They suck!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This company sales representatives misrepresent what their insurance covers and do not honor their 30 trial and total refund policy. They take 30 days just respond to a claim. They have the Worst Customer Service I have EVER seen!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I had an absolutely awful experience with this company. Just like most bad reviews of insurance companies, yes, this did center around a claim that was not paid out. I will not go over the exact details. But to summarize, my veterinarian took the time to write a full page letter stating that there was no way to test or diagnose my dog's ailment until he was 1 year or older. Therefore, there was no way to consider this a pre existing condition. There is a lot larger story to this. And while my goal at the time was just just meet my deductible for the year in case anything else happened, it came clear to me that any potential future submitted claims with this company would be a fight to get compensation.

I decided to cancel my plan, and look elsewhere for coverage. When I called to cancel my plan (there is no way to cancel plan through the website), I was put on hold and transferred to a "specialist." I told her that I wanted to cancel my plan and had one question (it was in regards to timing of when plan coverage would end when I cancelled), Instead of cancelling the plan, the lady pulled up my file and started arguing with my claim and what my veterinarian stated. She even had the audacity to say her vet told her something completely opposite. She went on to say that we wouldn't be covered on anything like this with another insurer (which is silly to say because of course we will not be. Since the ailment has already happened, it is "pre-existing" and I know that those conditions are not covered, for obvious reasons).

I let the lady go on, doing my best to not let my frustration get to me. When she said that she wanted to make sure "she" (referring to my dog) got the best coverage (my Dog's name is Roscoe and is a male), I corrected her, confirmed my coverage was cancelled and hung up the phone. If this is the way this company does business, NOBODY should give them theirs. I am more than happy to provide any more details on my terrible experience with Trupanion, whether that be sharing the email correspondence we've had, my vet's letter, etc. I just want people to know that they should look elsewhere to protect their furry loved ones.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My dog has seizures and it is covered by Trupanion. I notice that every single claim put through they deny and their excuse is the doctor wrote the word visit or any phrase that they can catch to deny the claim because it's not covered under the plan based on how the hospital writes it out. My dog went with a seizure and they did not cover it because they claim it was a doctor visit when he went into the emergency hospital at 3 am in the morning due to a seizure. At 3 am is not a doctors visit.. They are the worst insurance plan and will not recommend to anyone. Change plans...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Trupanion's doctors are as soulless as the doctors at human insurance companies. Over the years my cat was insured, Trupanion repeatedly twisted and connived her new illnesses into "pre-existing conditions" despite multiple appeals by the veterinary specialists who had spent years caring for her. Apparently the Trupanion assembly line doctors who never examined my cat knew better. On the single occasion Trupanion paid out, despite having covered a procedure, they refused to pay for the medication to treat the condition that the procedure discovered, claiming it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

This was fine when we had a young puppy and she could have issues - but it never will cover any heart conditions because she had a heart murmur. The primary reason is I gave them one star is they will not listen to the co-owner when you want to cancel the policy. Both of our names are on the policy but my husband signed the document. They want to market to him all the reasons why we should keep the insurance. I asked for this in an email three months ago. They still insist on billing our credit card and after a 30 minute call asking to talk to a supervisor they finally decided to take my word for and cancel the policy. In the end they say they will credit me from the time of my original email asking to cancel the policy. What they want to do is to appeal to your pet loving heart and make you stay with them. Ask to talk to a supervisor if you have an issue.

Trupanion Company Information