2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.7/5 (301 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reasearched several Pet insurance companies before I got my puppy. Trupanion by far is the best coverage, with no lifetime limits per condition. A few months after getting my lab, I noticed him limping, after an X-ray and physical exam (which I was well aware the insurance wouldn’t cover the exam fee as I had read the fine print) it was determined that he had a partial tear in his cranial crucial ligament. He now goes for rehab (laser treatments, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy) 2-3 times per month and has been on Chinese herbal medicine and I’ve not once ever had an issue with payment or approval.

I submit my invoice after leaving the vet, and I have the money deposited back into my account within 3 days. I see so many reviews on here about people complaining that they don’t cover the exam fee or tax and a few other things, and all I can say is like anything, read the clauses and fine print, and you won’t have any surprises! Thank you Trupanion for making it possible to keep my baby happy, healthy, and pain free.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

They will go to any length to deny claims, fictitious pre existing conditions, absolutely horrible service, don't waste your money. Took me 35 minutes to cancel the policy, the worst experience ever, go with ANY other company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before signing up with this awful company. I cancelled all 3 policies today now that my new insurance has started. I adopted 2 kittens and a puppy about a year ago. Got them all their shots and initial clean bill of health from the organizations I adopted them from. About 7 months in, I took them to a recommended vet. I told them up front that I had Trupanion insurance which they were clearly promoting through the office. They proudly told me they had the auto system to upload claims making it super easy. Turns out that my girl kitten had gingivitis. The vet prescribed antibiotics and told me to come back in w weeks. Upon return, it wasn't gone. He ran feline aids and leukemia tests - which fortunately came back negative - and unfortunately cost me more $. The vet recommended he pull several teeth which I was okay with both to help my kitten and because I had the insurance coverage.

Long story short, Trunpanion rejected the claim as it was a "preexisting condition" though I only found out about it at the fist vet appt. I would have had to take her in much earlier to have it covered. And how was I to know this? Oh, it's in the tiny tiny premium doc they emailed me. I told them that the rep who sold me the policy provided amazing detail however neglected to discuss dental. They further told me that I could have called for pre-authorization (yeah, right).

You would have thought the vet would know this given their Trupanion relationship. The vet's office response was that all the Trupanion policies are

different - a BIG LIE per Trupanion. I happily cancelled my policies with this horrible company today. They sure made it difficult compared to selling me the policies. Glad to be done with them. NEVER NEVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY! And my kitten, she's fine now that she had all her teeth pulled from juvenile gingivitis. No longer have to worry about it as a pre-existing condition. :-(

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

We had a terrible experience with Trupanion on our claims related to our 8 weeks old puppy. Thankfully they showed their true colors during the breeder certificate period, otherwise, I would only have been donating premiums close to $80/month, going forward. We obtained our puppy from a breeder and came home with a breeder certificate for 1 month. On the 4th day morning, our puppy had diarrhea and we rushed him to a vet. We visited the vet for 3 days. As our puppy started recovering, we filed claims with Trupanion. They rejected the claims citing "pre-existing conditions". We were shocked but realized that the vet had provided wrong documentations, with wrong dates. I will never forgive the vet for doing this and dealing with them separately. The vet later wrote an amendment and submitted to Trupanion. I also dropped a note to Trupanion's CEO asking if his organization would do the morally right thing or ignore everything.

What followed is a very traumatic and stressful experience for our family. Trupanion assigned a "vet" to investigate through the process. While he claimed to follow an unbiased process, the whole process was biased. Throughout the process, Trupanion tried coming from various angles to decline the claims including flip flopping positions from "pre-existing" to telling us in the end that our certificate from breeder that we registered is completely invalid. They will argue forever and wear you out.

While the claim was for $1000 and not a life changing amount for our family, it is the whole experience of how you are treated dealing with unethical folks. In the end, the appeals rejected the claims but wanted to offer us further insurance including being immediately eligible for accident cover. Frankly, I cannot bear working with unethical businesses and have immediately rejected the offer. I do not want to go through another mental stress every dealing with this organization. If my puppy has any issues, I would rather spend from my pocket vs take help of such types of organizations.

As I read reviews on this forum, I think we have dodged a bullet long term because if I had continued with Trupanion, I would only have been making donations to a bad business. I also see consistent negative reviews over last several months. The type of behavior they exhibited for a mere $1000 claim, makes me wonder if everything is right for this company - whether they are seriously cash crunched or on verge of bankruptcy. Only time will tell... I could have possibly gone to our AG office or filed a small claims court claim but they way they behaved, I realized they do not wish to pay and in such situations, it is better they keep the money. Bad Karma will bite you at some point of time!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I bought insurance for my puppy the day after I went to the vet for the first time. She had an ear infection when I got her from the breeder, and that was her only "pre-existing condition" (note this is a completely curable condition and extremely common). I started at a rate of $60 per month. In my first year, all of my claims were approved (severe diarrhea). More than 18 months after getting the policy, I made another claim for another ear infection. This claim was initially denied. The explanation I received was that this was a pre-existing condition. The more detailed explanation I got from talking on the phone and via email is that even though the initial condition had been cured long ago, they felt this was symptomatic of "allergies," and that any other future claims that might relate to allergies would also be rejected. So, they're making a correlational assumption about an underlying condition my pet has, even though that diagnosis is not coming from the vet.

In fairness, I appealed the claim, and it was overturned (although note it was only removed from my deductible, and was not something they actually paid for). I wasn't excited about the prospect about fighting future similar dubious rejections, and I was troubled the logic that pre-existing conditions could be extended to "related conditions" even if the pet was not diagnosed with those related conditions.

Ultimately, the reason I decided to cancel my policy was because my rates increased to $78 after my first year, a more than 30% increase. When speaking with customer service over the phone and via email, they attributed this to an increase in the cost of treatment in my region. I find this hard to believe. My primary motivation for picking Trupanion was that they advertise that they don't increase rates based on the age of your pet. Now, I'm skeptical this is true, based on reading reviews on this site and others.

Given the risk of seemingly arbitrary rate increases over the life of my pet, the value proposition simply isn't there. Best case scenario, I pay $10K over the life of my pet, but I'm guessing based on the rate increases it will be closer to $20K, if she lives a long life. It's hard to imagine my veterinary bills exceeding that amount. I'll take my chances and invest in saving my money instead.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

The vet gave my dog a clean bill of health then pushed Trupanion on me to get the kickback paid to them. The next month my dog went in for three months of allergy testing before they determined it was treatable cancer. I didn't expect them to pay for the cancer treatment but I did expect them to pay for the diagnostic testing of the allergies along with the allergy medication, after my $500 deductible. He's got dry eyes from allergies, they wouldn't even pay the $3 for saline solution but they gladly took my $150 every month.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

The only reason I kept coverage is because of how amazing my vet is. Getting anything paid for is one of the worst. First the deductible is per condition. So if your furry family member has multiple different conditions they will never pay a single penny. You might as well not have any coverage. Don't pay them to just have everything come out of your pocket anyway. The people act like they actually care, they don't. If you don't want to renew they cancel coverage you have already paid for. It is crazy they won't cover office visits. No doctor ANYWHERE will try to diagnosis and treat without exam. Duh!

This company makes being a responsible loving poet owner impossible. Because this company only cares about getting money, I have no option but to let my beloved boy that is a mixed pit bull rescued from a dog fighting ring and endured horrible abuse and neglect, suffer with pain because they refused to cover his treatments after I met my deductible or euthanize him. As much as it I'd ripping me apart, I am going to euthanize him. I can't afford his treatments and I can't let him reach the point he is truly suffering and has no quality of life. Thanks so much for nothing Trupanion.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Paid faithfully for a policy for our dog for ten years. Never had a claim. This year, she had a few procedures that added up to almost $1,000. I submitted a claim under the understanding that there was a $500.00 deductible to satisfy. The claim came back as 'approved' but provided zero benefit. When I called to inquire as to why they wouldn't payout, they disclosed that the deductible is applied PER AFFLICTION. So your pet has to have vet bills in excess of $500 per illness before they will payout. Nowhere in the quoting process was this ever disclosed and, in fact, to this day, if you work up a new policy quote on their site, they do not explain the terms of their deductible policy. They've opted to bury the language in their policy statement which I would venture to guess is read in about 1 out of 100 cases.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

If you go with Trupanion to protect your pet, you are virtually making an expensive donation to Trupanion. I was with Nationwide for 16 years with my (I miss every day) last dog. They weren't bad, but didn't cover everything. And the premiums were reasonable. Trupanion will bait and switch you. You will get around a $58 a month promise, and then two months later will rise to $78 a month and every few months will go up another ten dollars a month. And this is just for a puppy and not an old dog! I have already spent more on premiums on my two year dog than on my 16 year dog combined! And Trupanion doesn't cover very much. They told me they now only carry chronic issues which is good if your dog has a serious chronic ailment. I'm afraid to cancel now, because my luck the dog will get something chronic. And she's too old now to get a decent premium.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Cancelled plan & they kept billing anyway. Never sent us any statements, just kept taking out money even though we cancelled. Spelt our dogs name wrong even though we corrected it, Did not seem to care. NO statements provided. I warn people of this insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Like many retrievers, my dog appears to be predisposed to nasal infections associated with swimming. My vet treated the first infection with antibiotics and symptoms disappeared, so one could assume it was cured. Soon after I got Trupanion coverage. Many months later my dog went swimming again and got another nasal infection that required sedation and irrigation to treat. Trupanion decided this infection was pre-existing and denied the claim. My dog is predisposed to nasal infections... some dogs are, but it appears Trupanion will never cover a condition that is predisposed. Apparently, because "once a nasal infection, always a nasal infection." What's the point of having insurance? After my deductible, I think it would have cost them something like $40. I dumped the policy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I put in a claim almost 2 months ago for a condition my dog has never shows signs of. I reached out twice and was told to be patient and that they had all the information they needed. After 6 weeks they emailed that they were closing my claim due to lack of information. This was the first time they contacted me. I called immediately and the girl on the phone said they needed more records. She could not tell me what was not missing and then asked when my dog was fixed. I spoke to another person and they said again that they had all the information they needed.

I decided to login to my account and it shows that my claim in ineligible. THEY NEVER REACHED OUT TO ME OR MY VET! Now I have to appeal because there was a very general statement made on his visit 2 years ago. I was trying to get vet bills from a fall/trauma covered. Not sure why they would consider this a pre existing condition. Now I have to spend more time putting in an appeal. The one thing I can say is that the Customer Service reps I have spoken to on the phone have been pleasant other than 1 time. Save your time and money and find a better company!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My experience: Trupanion denied my dog's claim for dental surgery due to a single note of "mild calculus" prior to coverage. But there is no mention in the policy of "calculus," including no mention of it in the exclusion clause. Trupanion relies on an exclusion clause that includes a list of conditions - none of which appear in my dog's records (except "gingivitis" which is specifically ruled out in the records.) Even IF calculus were a condition justifying exclusion, there is no evidence that the extracted tooth had calculus (or any other condition listed in the exclusion clause.) I asked Trupanion - twice - whether there is any factual basis to support a claim that my dog's extracted tooth had calculus, or any of the conditions listed in the exclusion. Trupanion ignored this inquiry both times. It is painfully clear to me that Trupanion goes to extreme lengths to deny coverage.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This company is the biggest scam. They go out of their way to deny any claims. They make you jump through multiple hoops to get any claims processed, only to find some excuse to ultimately deny the claim. Don't bother with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I got Trupanion at a high premium rate initially and then asked for a lower coverage rate to reduce my premium. The phone service rep did not complete this request and continued to charge me at the higher rate. I called again requesting this change again and was told I would be reimbursed back to the original change request date. Then my dog was injured and I filed a claim, looking online at the premium charges at the higher rate. I was issued a claim check by Trupanion, on which they did a stop payment, causing a bank fee to me even when I paid the higher premium. I called to inquire and was told that my claim was not reimbursable and that I would be reimbursed for the premium over payment, which I have still not received. Poor accounting, poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Similar to many insurance companies Trupanion will use any excuse, whether valid or not to deny a claim. One dog had a surgical procedure, part of which involved the examination of a tumor. They did not cover part of the surgery because they do not cover examinations. The vet launched an appeal but they remained firm. Had the record used the word investigation it would have been covered. My recent denial was because I noticed a new dog holding her urine. I took her to a specialist who did complete lab work and said everything was fine. A month later she has an UTI and this is dismissed as a pre-existing condition. Again the vet called to explain that there was no evidence of a previous UTI, and again they maintain their previous verdict of ineligible. Shameful.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

We took out Trupanion a few years ago to help provide coverage for unexpected big expenses which we have now had to endure. Their coverage is very disappointing. It is no wonder that people do not keep their pets when they get sick. Trupanion does not cover the tax you pay on your expense. You need to take them to see a specialist which you think won’t be an issue. Well - don’t expect them to cover your examination or consultation fee which can be expensive. Why? When I asked, they don't cover it because (according to them) that fee covers the cost of operating the clinic - for the techs, building costs, hydro etc. We have been paying a consulting fee to consult with and be seen by a specialist!

Our senior dog started having heart issues, so we took her to a specialist - over $1200 bill. We had higher deductible because we wanted to keep monthly insurance cost down because of dogs age. Deductible $1000 so I thought we would get $200 back - nope. Take off tax, take off the 185 for cost to be seen by specialist, then when they had it whittled down, they pay only 90%. What we paid didn’t even cover the deductible. The cardiologist recommended further testing to see if there were underlying conditions that could be affecting her heart. One of tests recommended was ultrasound. They found liver values were out - and did ultrasound - not covered. Have to pay another $1000 deductible.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

If your cat or dog has any pre-conditions prior to obtaining Trupanion insurance, they will steal your premiums on a monthly basis. When you file a claim they will not pay!!! They will make some incredible reach of how that pre-condition is the cause for your current illness. You can call me at ** to discuss!! My name is Sam and I will save you a lot of money and pain!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My vet has to perform a surgery on my years old baby because she had a growth on her neck. We submitted all her medical record for the surgery. And Trupanion requests all her medical records dating back to few years ago, unrelated to her surgery. We provided them all the vets info and they still requested more. We were exhausted with their requests and decided to pay for the surgery ourselves and cancel this so-called insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

In the 5+ years that I have paid for this insurance, I have had 95% of my claims denied. I did appeal several of them and it got pretty ugly, but they finally paid out on a couple. Till this day, they rule "pre-existing condition" or not covered for everything. They basically don't pay for anything. They should just tell out that you are going to pay a lot of money for them, but they will never pay you back, and if you get close, you have to pay your deductible first before ever getting a reimbursement. They suck!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This company sales representatives misrepresent what their insurance covers and do not honor their 30 trial and total refund policy. They take 30 days just respond to a claim. They have the Worst Customer Service I have EVER seen!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I had an absolutely awful experience with this company. Just like most bad reviews of insurance companies, yes, this did center around a claim that was not paid out. I will not go over the exact details. But to summarize, my veterinarian took the time to write a full page letter stating that there was no way to test or diagnose my dog's ailment until he was 1 year or older. Therefore, there was no way to consider this a pre existing condition. There is a lot larger story to this. And while my goal at the time was just just meet my deductible for the year in case anything else happened, it came clear to me that any potential future submitted claims with this company would be a fight to get compensation.

I decided to cancel my plan, and look elsewhere for coverage. When I called to cancel my plan (there is no way to cancel plan through the website), I was put on hold and transferred to a "specialist." I told her that I wanted to cancel my plan and had one question (it was in regards to timing of when plan coverage would end when I cancelled), Instead of cancelling the plan, the lady pulled up my file and started arguing with my claim and what my veterinarian stated. She even had the audacity to say her vet told her something completely opposite. She went on to say that we wouldn't be covered on anything like this with another insurer (which is silly to say because of course we will not be. Since the ailment has already happened, it is "pre-existing" and I know that those conditions are not covered, for obvious reasons).

I let the lady go on, doing my best to not let my frustration get to me. When she said that she wanted to make sure "she" (referring to my dog) got the best coverage (my Dog's name is Roscoe and is a male), I corrected her, confirmed my coverage was cancelled and hung up the phone. If this is the way this company does business, NOBODY should give them theirs. I am more than happy to provide any more details on my terrible experience with Trupanion, whether that be sharing the email correspondence we've had, my vet's letter, etc. I just want people to know that they should look elsewhere to protect their furry loved ones.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My dog has seizures and it is covered by Trupanion. I notice that every single claim put through they deny and their excuse is the doctor wrote the word visit or any phrase that they can catch to deny the claim because it's not covered under the plan based on how the hospital writes it out. My dog went with a seizure and they did not cover it because they claim it was a doctor visit when he went into the emergency hospital at 3 am in the morning due to a seizure. At 3 am is not a doctors visit.. They are the worst insurance plan and will not recommend to anyone. Change plans...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Trupanion's doctors are as soulless as the doctors at human insurance companies. Over the years my cat was insured, Trupanion repeatedly twisted and connived her new illnesses into "pre-existing conditions" despite multiple appeals by the veterinary specialists who had spent years caring for her. Apparently the Trupanion assembly line doctors who never examined my cat knew better. On the single occasion Trupanion paid out, despite having covered a procedure, they refused to pay for the medication to treat the condition that the procedure discovered, claiming it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

This was fine when we had a young puppy and she could have issues - but it never will cover any heart conditions because she had a heart murmur. The primary reason is I gave them one star is they will not listen to the co-owner when you want to cancel the policy. Both of our names are on the policy but my husband signed the document. They want to market to him all the reasons why we should keep the insurance. I asked for this in an email three months ago. They still insist on billing our credit card and after a 30 minute call asking to talk to a supervisor they finally decided to take my word for and cancel the policy. In the end they say they will credit me from the time of my original email asking to cancel the policy. What they want to do is to appeal to your pet loving heart and make you stay with them. Ask to talk to a supervisor if you have an issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Beware of Trupanion! In 2009, I decided to get this insurance for my 2 month old puppy that I had adopted. I paid $31 monthly with $1000 deductible for "lifetime" of coverage. Sound good on paper, but I am now finding out that this insurance is useless and it is the worst insurance out there. In Sept 2019, my dog had a surgery to remove a lump on his paw, neck, and stomach area that cost $811. I also filed a claim for his eye and skin allergy bills worth $450. I thought I had met the $1000 deductible right? But NO! They categorized the lumps into two different lumps meaning my deductible was $2K and another $1K deductible for the eye/skin allergy. So for a $1261 claim, I had a $3k deductible in total. I was disappointed to say the least.

To make matters worst, a week ago I received an email that they are increasing my monthly fee from $31 to $38. I asked why and I was told that it was based off their data report. BS! This insurance is a SCAM! After 10 years of having this insurance, I have not seen a penny and now they want more money, are you ** kidding me? I hope they go out of business!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was notified by email of their auto renewal. I called in and talked with a woman and told her not to renew and cancel policy. They will not refund the back 3 months. My error for not checking my bank statement, but I have been ill with my own medical problems, cancer and not paying attention to that until recently reviewing my credit card statements. I cancelled because since being a client since 2016, they barely pay anything on the medical vet charges and it is NOT worth it. There are many ways they try to get out of paying, saying this needed to be a new issue or not a covered expense. Very unhappy with Trupanion and the product. They said they are a subscription type insurance and it they make a mistake and keep charging your credit card, get it in writing that you cancelled it with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

My Cat had eye infection and they rejected my claims, because they don’t cover this sickness. I was waiting to see this message over 4 months. Very bad experience, paying monthly for nothing. Thieves, very bad.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

TERRIBLE customer service and communication. I called about an allergy claim which was denied just to know about the reason. I initially enrolled my pet in April, changed the deductible from $250 to $300 in July, submitted the claim in August. They told me that once I changed the deductible I would have to go through the 30 days wait period again, which I was not informed when I changed the deductible over the phone. But I accepted their reasoning to respect their company policy even though the agent on the phone did not properly inform me of this.

Then I also asked about another claim that I submitted twice online, received confirmation twice in my email, however, did not appear on the account whatsoever. Her reply was only "oh, do it again then." There were no proper customer service skills demonstrated in this agent as well as a few other Trupanion agents I had spoken to in the past. Most of the Trupanion agents have an indifferent attitude toward customers. I truly believe that those employees have not had appropriate trainings suitable for their position.

I proceeded to ask her if she could help me cancel my plan because after paying $77.55 every month for 6 months, receiving rejections on claims and bad customer service. I lost confidence in this insurance company. The person on the phone told me that she cannot cancel my plan, someone else would have to call me to discuss the details with me and do the cancellation manually. She said they will call me in 2 days. I said, "No problem, I will go through the process with your agent regarding the cancellation. Thanks." 2 days later, no calls. Two weeks, no calls. It was not until I logged in to my account and saw that my plan was canceled. What happened to an agent calling me to establish an agreement to cancel my plan? There was no communication between me and the agent who canceled my plan at all.

Now I have a $600 vet bill in my hand and a canceled insurance plan. I tried to call and all they said was "there is nothing we can do about it." $465.30 of monthly premium was paid to this company in hopes of a peace of mind. All I received was poor customer service and a lack of communication. My experience with this insurance company was utterly unpleasant and disappointed. If you are thinking about investing on your lovely pet's health, then I strongly urge you to look elsewhere. Trupanion does not take your cases seriously and they cannot handle your cases professionally either. Having Trupanion as your insurance provider is a waste of your time and money.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

We have had this insurance for 2 years and they have not paid for any of our claims so far. They denied paying for biopsies saying that they don’t pay for “visits” and they also used every other ridiculous reason to deny payment. We canceled our insurance with them. The high monthly premiums ($100+) were a total waste of money.

Trupanion Company Information