3.7/5 (303 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was notified by email of their auto renewal. I called in and talked with a woman and told her not to renew and cancel policy. They will not refund the back 3 months. My error for not checking my bank statement, but I have been ill with my own medical problems, cancer and not paying attention to that until recently reviewing my credit card statements. I cancelled because since being a client since 2016, they barely pay anything on the medical vet charges and it is NOT worth it. There are many ways they try to get out of paying, saying this needed to be a new issue or not a covered expense. Very unhappy with Trupanion and the product. They said they are a subscription type insurance and it they make a mistake and keep charging your credit card, get it in writing that you cancelled it with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

My Cat had eye infection and they rejected my claims, because they don’t cover this sickness. I was waiting to see this message over 4 months. Very bad experience, paying monthly for nothing. Thieves, very bad.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

TERRIBLE customer service and communication. I called about an allergy claim which was denied just to know about the reason. I initially enrolled my pet in April, changed the deductible from $250 to $300 in July, submitted the claim in August. They told me that once I changed the deductible I would have to go through the 30 days wait period again, which I was not informed when I changed the deductible over the phone. But I accepted their reasoning to respect their company policy even though the agent on the phone did not properly inform me of this.

Then I also asked about another claim that I submitted twice online, received confirmation twice in my email, however, did not appear on the account whatsoever. Her reply was only "oh, do it again then." There were no proper customer service skills demonstrated in this agent as well as a few other Trupanion agents I had spoken to in the past. Most of the Trupanion agents have an indifferent attitude toward customers. I truly believe that those employees have not had appropriate trainings suitable for their position.

I proceeded to ask her if she could help me cancel my plan because after paying $77.55 every month for 6 months, receiving rejections on claims and bad customer service. I lost confidence in this insurance company. The person on the phone told me that she cannot cancel my plan, someone else would have to call me to discuss the details with me and do the cancellation manually. She said they will call me in 2 days. I said, "No problem, I will go through the process with your agent regarding the cancellation. Thanks." 2 days later, no calls. Two weeks, no calls. It was not until I logged in to my account and saw that my plan was canceled. What happened to an agent calling me to establish an agreement to cancel my plan? There was no communication between me and the agent who canceled my plan at all.

Now I have a $600 vet bill in my hand and a canceled insurance plan. I tried to call and all they said was "there is nothing we can do about it." $465.30 of monthly premium was paid to this company in hopes of a peace of mind. All I received was poor customer service and a lack of communication. My experience with this insurance company was utterly unpleasant and disappointed. If you are thinking about investing on your lovely pet's health, then I strongly urge you to look elsewhere. Trupanion does not take your cases seriously and they cannot handle your cases professionally either. Having Trupanion as your insurance provider is a waste of your time and money.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

We have had this insurance for 2 years and they have not paid for any of our claims so far. They denied paying for biopsies saying that they don’t pay for “visits” and they also used every other ridiculous reason to deny payment. We canceled our insurance with them. The high monthly premiums ($100+) were a total waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Trupanion miscommunicated (or perhaps downright lied) about preexisting condition exclusions, so now that I am leaving them. I have much fewer options for my older pets, and I have paid plenty of premiums to them and never gotten a dime in coverage. (Which I understand is sometimes how insurance works if you don't need it, but we did and they failed, miserably.)

Feb 2018: I move to Canada from the US. My prior pet insurance company doesn't exist here. But Trupanion does! I sign up. My pets have no huge issues, though one has had a tooth extracted for periodontal disease. Aug. 2018: That same pet needs more extractions. I call Trupanion, trying to budget for whether/when to do it at the vet. They tell me he's actually fine, his teeth are not excluded! Pleasantly surprised, I go ahead with the procedure.

A month or so later: LOL no. Claim denied in full. Reason? Pre-existing periodontal disease. I call Trupanion and express significant displeasure. They explain, in excruciating condescending detail, how pre-existing condition exclusions work. I tell them I know this but I asked them beforehand so I could budget and they told me we were fine. I ask something about the wording of the vet record that has the prior condition on it, and they ask if I've engaged in medical fraud. (I haven't, I've told them all prior vets, I'm just sick of their jargon.) Sooo that's fun.

I calm down and decide to stay with them. I understand why the exclusion was applied, it just wasn't communication well, and like I guess they have to be on guard against fraud or whatever. A year later, my cat who never had periodontal disease previously prior shows signs of it and needs extractions. I go ahead with them, confident that he, at least, is covered. HIS CLAIM IS DENIED. REASON? HE HAD TARTAR ON HIS TEETH ONCE PREVIOUSLY. TARTAR. T. A. R. T. A. R.

I sign up with a local Ontario pet insurance association as soon as I can and cancel Trupanion. I inform them as to why several days beforehand and get no response (I basically tell them to hold the legalese, I understand they have the legal right to do what they did but they are terrible at what they do and I will be canceling... I guess if they can't come back at you with legalese they don't see a point in responding). Anyway, buy at your own risk. Good thing I can have tartar on my teeth and still get dental coverage. I shudder to think what this company does when your pet is actually sick.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I enrolled in Trupanion since a doctor recommended. I have a new puppy and had to enroll before he has neuter, gastropexy surgery and hip x-ray as recommended. I paid $89 per month for 5 months and spent +$1,500 on surgeries but the Trupanion DID NOT reimburse any. The reason is they do not cover any prevention procedure but only cover when your pet is SICK or INJURED. This is not the one that I needed. I used be enrolled in another pet insurance with my other dog, so I'm going to change to that insurance company right away.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Trupanion will do whatever it takes to NOT reimburse you for pet care. I will not go into the specifics, but I submitted several claims for a very sick dog, they allege the condition was pre-existing before my coverage, which it was not. I am in the process of obtaining all medical records to be sure that a vet did not state the condition was pre-existing, but trust me, it was not pre-existing. $2000 and counting, and not one penny from Trupanion. Get another pet insurance, this company is pathetic and worthless.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I normally don’t write bad reviews ever, however, my bad experience with Trupanion must be shared to help future buyers. When we first got our puppy we were moving to a rural area known for fleas and ticks, so we went to the vet to start preventative care of a flea and tick medication. When we signed up for Trupanion they deemed that vet visit as a result of allergies and proceeded to deny every claim thereafter due to allergies being a pre-existing condition.

Here are the specifics: Our puppy had heat rash – denied due to allergies. Then he got pink eye from the neighbor’s dog - denied due to allergies. Then he got pink eye again from the same neighbor dog – denied again due to allergies. Then he had a puncture wound – that too was denied due to allergies. And then when I said I wanted to cancel and move to another company they threatened me that they will share their findings of allergies with the other company and it will always remain a pre-existing condition. When my dog has NO allergies to anything, ever. We feed him every kind of human food (except for the ones all dogs are not allowed like gapes, garlic, onions, etc) and all dog treats. He has never shown signs of allergies once, and the vet agrees he has never had allergies either.

I bought the insurance for peace of mind. I am thankful for this experience because now I have confidently canceled all insurance for our dog. I’ll be putting my monthly money into a savings plan to use for future vet bills. Possibly without this experience, I wouldn’t be so confident when future vet bills come up. I hope this honest bad review of how Trupanion is a scam will help future animal owners.

Future buyer suggestion - If you do buy insurance be sure to do it before you ever take them to the vet and don’t share any information on issues that arrived before the policy is out of the waiting period. That seems to be the only approach for them to not irrationally denying every claim. Good luck and I wish you the best with your little one.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Last year I adopted a 1.5 year old cat from my neighborhood humane society.. I am luckily able to budget for pet care without help but thought it would be nice to use insurance to help plan for big expenses so I signed up my little guy with Trupanion. When I signed up for Trupanion I was impressed by their marketing (90% of all expenses after a modest deductible, nice). Even though the monthly premium of $55 was a bit steep I figured you get what you pay for and decided to try it.

Unfortunately after a recent tooth cleaning (and extraction) I received a claim response of "denied" -- the reason listed was due to a pre-existing condition of gingivitis. I would have forgiven this conclusion if it were just the extraction part that was non-covered but in fact the entire bill including common cleaning was denied which I have to declare is nonsense.

In short, this company seemed to be all too happy to take my claim money for several months and then deny any coverage as soon as I tried to use it. After I chatted with one of their online support folks to request cancellation they sent me a "but wait" form letter stating "Sorry you're cancelling due to our claim response but please might you consider using us for emergency coverage." No thanks -- too late. If anyone has had more positive experiences with other pet insurance companies I'd be very interested in hearing about them if you're willing to share. Good luck! Drew

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I bought insurance for my dogs, I realize this is just catastrophic insurance and not healthcare. But every claim I have filed they found a way to deny it. Most recently my dog broke a tooth off, below the gum line and it required out surgery to get fixed. When I filed the claim with the multiple invoices for the one injury, they separated them and said each invoice was a separate claim, so most were under he deductible. The two that were above the deductible they denied saying I didn't have coverage. This was the last straw.

A previous claim for an eye injury was treated the same. I've tried talking to their customer service over and over, but it hasn't done me any good. The money I spent every month on the premiums I should have just put in a bank account, I could have paid the total of both claims. It's a ripoff... I would even go so far as to say it's a scam.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

What a scam of a company. Doesn't really care about the wellness of your pets. Every. Single. Claim. Denied. They don't cover office visits, they don't cover vaccines, they don't cover de-worming, they don't cover when your pet gets sick. Period. How are you supposed to keep your pet healthy if the insurance company you pay hundreds for a month denies every claim? How can you say you care about pet health if your company doesn't even cover basic wellness? Don't ever get Trupanion insurance. It's a total waste of your money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We had purchased insurance for our puppy the day we brought him home, 12 months ago. 6 months back the groomer hurt him and we had to bring him to the vet. It costed us 450$ including medicine and taxes. Our deductible was supposed to be 200$ for every claim, it took over 3 months for them the process the claim, to say that our deductible was over 300$ so that we would not be receiving any money back. The plan we had choose was a deductible for 200$ with 90% back to us. Company will find any reason not to pay you,! My advice to you is take your 75$ a month and put it in a jar and call it the medical emergency fund for your pet. And if ever you need it you will have enough to pay for the vet bills. I WOULD NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY! You will be let down if you need to file a claim. Their customer service was very convincing however they will trick you to not pay you!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I have an 8 yr old American Bulldog. Perfectly healthy who never had any health issues. His wellness checkups have always been good. (He has been on a raw food diet for a while). April 2018 he hurt his knee while on vacation with us and required an ACL surgery. So we took him to one of the best hospitals in New Jersey for his surgery and we paid out of pocket - We had no insurance at that time because we didn’t feel the need for it. His TTA Surgery was successful and he healed well. It was then we were told to get insurance because there was a risk (I believe 40% chance) of his other leg requiring surgery because of the first ACL tear. Less than a year later after the initial tear he was exhibiting a slight limp on the same leg, we took him in and they did X-rays, they ran a scope and removed some more of ligament tear that was causing the limp.

Now that we had insurance, we submitted the claim. They refused the claim and said it was a “pre-existing condition” and that they would not cover it. So again we paid out of pocket. 17 months later, we noticed a slight limp again, but this time on his other leg. We took him in to see the surgeon, X-rays showed slight inflammation but nothing that required surgery at that time. Few weeks later the limp got worse. We called the insurance company and yet again we're told “pre-existing condition” and that they will not cover it.

So here is my perturbing question: why have this insurance? Why have insurance and pay the high premiums when we have to pay out of pocket every single time? When we first got insurance and told the company the reason for buying this insurance they should have told us at that time they wouldn’t cover ACL since it’s a “pre-existing condition”. They knew the history of our pup and never once mentioned there wouldn’t be any coverage.

We are now down 1000’s of dollars plus we were paying the monthly premiums all this time for absolutely nothing. We love our pup dearly, and we don’t mind paying, but its the integrity of the insurance company that gets to me. The insurance company should have told us this when we discussed the reason for the insurance. They should have at least given us options. For them to deny yet again on another leg is absolute greed and disgusting. I can’t say I’m surprised by it, but I’m indignant as a customer knowing that I am paying so much to ensure my pup and my family stay protected, because isn’t that the whole point of insurance? Peace of mind?

It’s absolutely disgusting how insurance companies work. I advise anyone considering insurance to please ask the questions that I never did. Since then we have cancelled our insurance, as we find it's better to save money separately for our pup than to go through this utter frustration as a family. #petownersbeaware #weloveourpup #asktherightquestions #americanbulldogs #champ #doginsurance #trupanion

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

We chose Trupanion coverage on the advice of our vet when our poodle, Max, was only three months old. He only had a couple of issues during his 13 years, and Trupanion paid appropriately. They have just refused, however, our final claim. And so I took the time to analyse their rates. In the 13 years between 2006 and 2019, inflation in Canada totalled 24.6% -- TRUPANION'S RATE WENT UP 475%. ONCE HE WAS INSURED, HOWEVER, WE WERE STUCK. This was a personable Vancouver-based company when we signed up. Now it acts like corporate America.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Insurance companies are difficult to deal with in any scenario but Trupanion is one of the worst of the worst and this is coming from an almost 6 year long loyal customer. My first experience with them was when my dog tore an ACL and had to have TPLO surgery. Trupanion was great through the start of the process. Approved all claims leading up to the surgery even pre-approved the almost $4000 surgery. That's when it all started to go bad.

Surgery went great. We paid. The vet assured we would get reimbursed by Trupanion. 30 days go by and receive notification our claim was denied with no other reasoning other than they said it was a pre-existing condition (yes, after it was already pre-approved!!!). This started a very long battle with Trupanion, the vet (which was great), and ourselves going through the appeal process. After many iterations and the vet going way above and beyond on our behalf we were successful in the appeal. Much to Trupanion's dismay. They tried everything they could to continue to deny but ulimately had no grounds continue non-payment.

Fast forward 5 years later and the dog has had a very healthy life so no new claims. He ended up with a foot infection from something he had stepped on and cut his paw. After all the treatment and medicine we were out almost $1000. No problem though. We have insurance and Trupanion has our back right?, Wrong!!! Submitted the claim and waited the 30 days for them to make a determination and to my surprise CLAIM DENIED!!!! The reason, ha you'll love this, this claim was also denied because once upon a time the vet noted he had redness in his ears (not an infection, just redness).

The redness in the ears was in July 2014, infection in the paw August 2019. Called and spoke with Karin and she said, "It must be related to allergies so you can go through the appeal process again if you want to try to overturn it." WHA WHHAAAT!!! My dog possibly had an ear infection over 5 years ago so now all skin related issues can not be covered, WHAT THE? They never contacted the vet or myself for clarification. Just seems it is policy to deny all claims then put the extraordinary burden of appeal on the customer to try to get reimbursement. Sound like a good company to you? I am no longer a customer of Trupanion and would recommend all others to be very careful before putting your trust in them like I did. If you do be ready for a fight with every claim.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I got Trupanion coverage for my puppy who developed bordetella. The emergency check-up and treatment were not reimbursed by Trupanion despite my having complete coverage. They cited odds "outs" in the policy such as a check-up not being covered: an emergency check-up not getting covered by policy makes no sense. Despite my providing all the paperwork and answering their questions, my claim (check-up and diagnostics, medicine) was fully denied. I have cancelled the policy as it is a false sense of security. If pneumonia is not an unforeseen condition, then no other will be. The staff on their 24/7 line also seem undertrained (borderline rude) and the grounds for denial were not detailed at all. This is a sham and I recommend staying away from it - it is a waste of time and money.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Subscriber beware. My rescue pet who I’ve had since he’s approximately three months old, now seven. I’ve been with Trupanion since I got him. When I started with Trupanion, my monthly insurance for emergency care, wellness care not included was $24.99, they’ve increased my rate every year but one I now pay 64.99 a month. I’ve called them approximately three years ago they told me if I raise my premium I could pay less. I did so three different agents quoted me my new rate, however I was not charged that lower rate. The manager told me I was quoted the other rate in error but yet three different people made that same error. Fortunately my dog has been relatively healthy. In the last seven years they’ve paid me seven dollars. I would not recommend Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Not worth it, practically a scam. They tell you that you have a deductible. What they don't tell you is that your deductible is per incident and per year. Nevertheless my dog had 1 issue that was treated over 4 different times and they categorized it as separate incidents - when I called them to find out what happened they said my DR notes weren't clear enough, after clearing it for them they said they will re-open the claim and follow up with me within 1 week. It's been 45 days. No one contacted me. When I finally reached out they said "I do not see any appeals on file at this time. I do see you previously spoke with Alyssa, who was going to contact the vet for you regarding filing an appeal." What a waste of my time and money.... You are better off putting the $100 aside every month in a bank account and using it for when needed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They will take your money and not cover your pets issue. Customer service is no help and just gives you the runaround about your policy. They will charge you before you even use their service. Awful company, DO NOT USE!!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I feel like this was a "bait and switch". I feel deceived by the sign up process. I was told one thing when on the call asking about signing up and in the solicitation email, then another after the fact. They use a very promising short form for the contract that makes you think this is the coverage and it's complete and simple, when, in fact, there's a longer contract (which they send you AFTER you've signed up so that you probably don't think to read it, since you've already signed up and paid and think you know what you've gotten!).

Additionally, if you do have a claim or a problem it seems as if there is a policy of placating clients with kind words but doing nothing. It seems many of the below reviewers have had similar experiences. In my case, the "doing nothing" went so far as to not only deny 100% of my claims in with lightning speed, but also to deny me access to the person making the decisions (if indeed there was a person -- it may just be a policy script and my issue may never have been escalated as they said it was.) They did not provide information I requested (like who denied this). They did not provide contact information such as email or phone for the department they claimed made the decisions. In fact, they went so far as to say that their legal department has no phone numbers or external email communication ability. Hmmm.

So, I had every claim denied and was not allowed to reach anyone directly. Think about that: It's a complete shut out. That sure sounds like this is policy, not just a bad experience by 1 client. The only reason I had contact with anyone at Trupanion was because they had a person writing me to claim that I wasn't sending in my dogs old medical records (which they then apologized for and acknowledged receiving way back when they asked for them -- I see this is a recurring problem from the below reviews).

After analyzing more critically how their policy is worded, I see that it's quite clever. Unless they voluntarily act in good faith, they have a policy that is worded such that almost every possible claim can be either denied or placed under the deductible amount (I'm referring to dogs signed up later in life, not as puppies). They cherry pick data from your dog's past (one example: My vet, 1 year prior, at a normal exam, pressed on my dog's throat to make her cough. She did that, and therefore A YEAR later when she had an actual cough and I took her in for a diagnostic - they denied the claim because she had a "pre-existing condition" having been made to cough once before. They also chose to ignore the vet notes, on the same line, that this cough had started days before and was something new). This is so blatant I hardly know what to say.

As a result of my experience with them, I started looking at Trupanion's history and see there's a recent history of practices that can be described as deceptive: namely they agreed only a few weeks ago to be fined over $100,000 (they signed a consent order in Washington State end of June 2019) for a variety of violations that don't speak well of their forthrightness. In addition there is a recent BBB, NAD report that states they made misleading claims about a competitor and as a result they agreed to change those representations. I will be proceeding with further research and with the appropriate state agencies and insurance regulatory agencies to see if these are the only two complaints and to find out what I can do too since Trupanion will do nothing, not even provide the name of the person who denied my request nor engage in any sort of negotiation, good faith or otherwise.

I hope that if there are other cases or complaints that people will share this information. I had hoped it was an aberration but I'm worried it's their method of doing business and that's just wrong. I would hate to see this happen to others. It was devastating for me to lose my dog and feel that I'd been conned, all at the same time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My pet had an extraction and dental cleaning on July 9th, today is August 8th and I finally received an email that they were paying nothing toward my claim. They paid a dental extraction claim for my dog in 2014, but have apparently made a change to the policy after 2017. I called in before the surgery and was told any extractions were covered, but not the cleaning portion. I guess the person on the phone was not aware that extractions were no longer covered. I feel all policy changes should be grandfathered for people who hold policies prior to the policy change. I guess I have a $932 bill to pay 100%☹. I have decided to cancel my policy, I have no faith or trust in this company.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Well, I've been a Trupanion client since my beagle was 2 years old; she's almost 11 now. Of course the premium increases every year, she's getting older! My gripe with the is company now is their claims paying process: kind of a joke! I submitted invoices for a Vet visit because my dog had been quite ill. A month later I called Trupanion to follow up since I hadn't heard anything. I was told that they were behind due to the July 4th holiday but my claim should be processed in a couple of days. A week later I called back and got the same excuse! Mind you the holiday was a month ago and it was one day! Their lousy claims paying procedures seems to be a common theme with this company. They seem to be fairly good otherwise. I hope things improve because I'm ready to switch and for the record, I'm an insurance broker!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

BEWARE of the this company. They used to have a great reputation, but things have changed dramatically for the worse over the years. They do whatever they can to make leaping ties to pre-existing conditions so they don't have to cover any claims. Unless you have a puppy that has zero known health issues, you're better off setting aside the money you'd pay each month to Trupanion for vet bills and/or an emergency account. I've now spent $3,000 with them over the years, have submitted at least 15 claims, and they've covered one of them. An example of one of the claims they rejected was when my dog injured her ear (an acute physical injury) and they refused to cover the cost of treatment because she had an ear infection 4 years prior. It's ridiculous and infuriating. The only good that can come out of my situation is if someone else is able to benefit from it. I've heard good things about Healthy Paws. Good luck!

Original review: July 27, 2019

What’s that old expression about “if it’s too good to be true...?” We took our nearly 12 year-old mutt Clyde to the vet for his annual check-up in early June. He needed expensive dental work, so the vet talked us into signing up for their clinic care plan. We also received a free trial month of Trupanion. I’ll be honest, I looked at the cost of the Trupanion plan post-trial and thought, “it’s just not worth it.” As an older dog, Clyde carried a hefty monthly premium.

About a week later, Clyde came inside from his 5am potty break and I noticed a lot of bubbles coming out if his mouth. He seemed OK at first, but it happened again 5 hours later. Turns out, he suffered partial seizures that evolved into grand mal seizures. I’ll jump ahead and spare you the heartbreaking details. Suffice it to say, we had to put Clyde down in a matter of weeks. A brain tumor escalated quickly.

After the exam for the first seizures, I started feeling nauseous about the costs to come. The vet was talking about MRI’s and overnight stays. My wife reminded me of the Trupanion policy. I was extremely skeptical this would work. I went online and read the reviews. Most people who were unhappy seemed frustrated by the creative ways Trupanion could deem something a “preexisting condition.”

So I called Trupanion looking for reassurance. Yes, we were only a few days into the free month. Yes, I realize this sure seems “convenient.” But the first symptoms were hours old. The rep said it didn’t sound preexisting. So we thought as awful as it is going through this with our beloved animal, at least somehow we were blessed with a silver lining.

We submitted the first claim about a day after the first symptoms. Then the second claim. Ultimately: six claims. We waited. The trial period expired. We paid the first month’s premium of $135. We waited. I wrote-in to inquire about the status. No reply. We waited. Today, more than a month after the first symptoms, I woke-up to a batch of six emails from Trupanion. All six emails were sent around 2:20am on a Saturday morning. And all six emails feature the same explanation of benefits which turns out to be a denial of benefits.

“Ineligible.” I know what you’re thinking: Trupanion figured out how to call it a preexisting condition. No, actually they concocted an even more devious reason. Section 9A of the fine print says there is a waiting period of 30 days after illness. We would have been OK if we had activated a special offer that waived this waiting period within 24 hours of the first exam. Funny how the Trupanion rep didn’t mention this when we called within 5 hours of the first exam. The whole purpose of that call was to try to poke holes in the fantasy idea that we would have help paying for procedures we knew were yet to come.

We are out nearly $3,000. More importantly, we have lost our dog. Trupanion won’t pay a dime thanks to section 9A. I am not devastated because my gut told me Trupanion would figure out a way to deny. Ever read “The Rainmaker?” Ultimately health insurers, whether representing bipedal or four-legged species follow the model of “Great Benefit:” deny, deny, deny.

Since Trupanion has wasted my time, I’m going to return the favor. It begins with this review. Next step: a formal complaint to the Washington State Attorney General. And so on... Even if you stopped reading awhile ago, you already knew how to answer the first question posed in this review. I hope one day I can be surprised by an insurance company that does the right thing.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Due to a clerical error on Trupanion’s end, they wouldn't reimburse me for my claim because of a “lapse in coverage” that was caused by their clerical error. Again just another “red tape” mistake by an insurance company that is at the policyholders expense. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. Spoke to an manager to appeal and was told, “we don't do that”. Go for ANY OTHER pet insurance company as some have immediate coverage from sign up date, and Trupanion does not take accountability for their clerical errors I dropped my policy that moment for both dogs.

Original review: July 22, 2019

They are very good at collecting your money. They are misleading as the coverage. Was told that my dog had a pre-existing condition even if she jumped and injured her knee. The example of an injury is when your dog is hit by a car. I canceled the policy. DON'T want to spend the time fighting their misleading policies.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Original review: July 14, 2019

This company is awesome at collecting your premiums. They also are awesome at raising those premiums annually like precision clockwork while claiming the don’t increase premiums annually due to age of dog. Instead, they claim increase is due to “increase in vet costs in your area.” Awesome for them since they don’t actually pay for much anyway and if they do it is not without a fight. Declined coverage previously for mass removal surgery claiming it was related to Addison’s disease which was pre-existing. I understand Addison’s is pre-existing and not covered. The surgery was not related. Appeal quickly filed and decision overturned. Great.

This time treatment for sebaceous cyst infection and removal of cyst claim submitted. Approved. Great. My problem is they approved amount MINUS deductible of $500. There are two if not three previous entries in chart for treatment of sebaceous cyst for which I received no payment. Those claims were approved also and the deductible was met. They charged me deductible twice. I think the mafia has more scruples than Trupanion. I will fight this time as well but should not have to.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Got my puppy (German Shephard) and went to my vet shortly after to get her checked up and get everything going for her spay. We then started noticing after her surgery, that when we were teaching her how to sit, we could feel her hips popping. So as a RESPONSIBLE pet owner should, we went into the vet to try to figure out what's going on. The vet said it could be hip dysplasia but the only way to know for sure is that we do an x-ray. So we say OK and the vet said but in case it is, it would be a good idea to get pet insurance as it could become costly. And they recommended us to Trupanion. So we got it and then a couple months after getting her policy we take her to have her hips x-rayed. And she does have bilateral hip dysplasia. So I submit my claim on it because we now have an appointment to have a surgical consultation because its so severe and shes not even a year old yet.

They are taking forever to process the claim so I call and they say they sent me an email, (which they didnt) to get more info from me. So I tell them she has her consultation next week so I need the claim expedited to get everything squared away. So they do and not only have they denied my claim for her x-ray and diagnosis, but they have also denied the surgery coming up because of the time I took her to the vet because her hips popped. So because her hips popped before I got coverage (EVEN THOUGH SHE WASNT DIAGNOSED YET) they consider it pre-existing and will not cover anything. They claim to all be pet lovers and pet owners and understanding but at the end of the day that dont care about anything but the money. DO NOT EVER USE THEM as I'm sure they will do the same to your beloved pet when they are in need.

Trupanion Company Information