1.12/5

670 Sentry Pet Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought over $70 worth of their product. Bought two flea and tick collars for my dogs (which I ended up throwing away due to making their skin raw) and flea and tick topical for my cats which had the same effect. Not happy one bit that I spent that much money and it did not work. Also it did not help with my flea problem at all, and they still have fleas.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We found a few fleas on our 16 year old Shih Tzu so I went to Petco. They highly recommended your shampoo. After following the direction as written on the back of the bottle my dog still had a flea alive while I was towel drying him off. So pick it off. The statement is it will kill fleas up to 10 days plus the oatmeal is to help stop the itch. This was on Friday 10-12-18. There was some redness to his skin and he was still digging himself so bad. I wash him again Sunday 10-14-18 just to follow up thinking that maybe missed one. At this time his skin looks like a major sunburn. His belly is raw and he licks himself and digs himself nonstop. Wakes himself up, starts digging. Why is there no warning that your product is more harm for your pet than the flea and if it is strong enough to burn the poor animal why does it not kill the fleas as stated. I hope the vet can help today. BIG waste of money. Not to mention my old buddy is so miserable.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My daughter noticed a couple of fleas on our indoor cat - so assuming our labradoodle brought them in the house I went to PetSmart and purchased Sentry flea treatment for BOTH my cats & dog. I applied to my dog about 3:15 pm and by 6:00 she was pacing, twitching, scratching, and labored breathing. I called an emergency vet & they said to bathe her in blue Dawn dish detergent. It is now 4:00 am and my dog STILL can’t settle down! She’s twitching, scratching, can’t fall asleep. After reading all the bad reviews on her about this product I am so mad at myself for not doing better research. I have unintentionally poisoned my dog and am worried about my cats too! I’m scared my dog is going to die!! They should recall this product and take it off the market IMMEDIATELY!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased this product for my dog while shopping at PetSmart on Monday. Usually I use SimpleGuard 3, which I get from the veterinarian. I had no more left, so for my convenience I purchased Sentry Pro XFT while shopping because it saved me a trip to the veterinarian. Big mistake on my part. Four hours after applying the product my dog became suddenly restless, anxious, pacing and spinning around in circles. She paced from room to room, jumping onto her bed, running inside to her crate and whimpering. When I tried to take her outside the house she had difficulty walking on her left hind leg. She began to sit and bite her leg, lick her leg and hop on her leg. I never saw her react to anything like this. I tried to comfort her but she was too restless. She was shaking and had rapid breathing.

We survived the night but the next day my dog was still not her usual self. She remained anxious, had difficulty walking, her eyes were red and she did not eat, drink and just stayed in her crate. She continued to bite her left hind leg, limp and bite her tail. By the third day she started to feel better. I was able to hand feed her food and she started to drink on her own. As each hour passed she improved throughout the day. Her eyes are clear now and she is not limping or whimpering but she does occasionally bite at her leg and tail. I have never seen my dog respond to anything like this product. It was scary but she is now on the mend. Please keep away from this product. I plan to go back to PetSmart and make a complaint. This product could have killed my dog. Please do not use this product on your pet. I only wish I had seen these negative reviews before I purchased this product.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

If I could give this company zero stars I would!! After a week of my cat wearing this collar we just spotted 2 nasty burns on her neck!!! I repeat do not use this product! Petco should take this off their shelves!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

ATTENTION dog and cat owners: Please don’t ever use SENTRY flea and tick products! I found fleas on my babies for the first time last Thursday. I went to my local specialty pet store and found Wondercide products. The flea bath bar was safe and amazing, but I was still finding a few fleas on them a couple days later. I should have been more patient with the process...

I read great reviews of Seresto Flea and Tick Collars, and decided I might want to give it a try. At the store, I found what I was looking for... at least, I thought I did as the packaging was incredibly similar. Unfortunately, I had purchased one that could potentially kill my pups. I placed the SENTRY collars on my two babies the 30th of September 6 pm. About five hours later, my boy Rza became extremely restless. He couldn’t seem to get comfortable and would jerk his head up or kick his legs every 3-5 seconds. He was so tired but could not sleep no matter how hard he tried. He was running around, hiding behind the couch, burning up, and panting.

At midnight, I got the packaging and went online to look for similar situations, and I found myself on this site solely dedicated to complaints. My heart sank after the first two reviews. I immediately cut the collars off and bathed my babies in blue Dawn dish soap. Boo seemed okay, but Rza was still suffering.

I took both of them to the emergency room and was told the damage had already been done. The vet assured me I cut the collars off early enough, that it shouldn’t cause permanent damage, but only time will tell.

Rza finally fell asleep around 830 am October 1st after nearly 15 hours of misery. He seemed better, but it may be a while if he has internal damage. I am so heartbroken and ashamed that I didn’t double check and make sure I was buying the right product. I am furious with myself that I didn’t research this company and product further. I could have killed my babies. Please don’t make the same mistake that I did!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have never had any problem with the shampoo. Matter of fact I found it to be the best shampoo of them all. I put in on and the fleas start popping up on the surface all dead. Love it. I've never tried the flea stuff though.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

After one week use of the Sentry Calming collar on my 12 year old cat, the collar created a 2 x 2 inch lesion on the back of her neck. The hair fell out and left a beefy red, oozing sore. The collar was a 1/4 inch space between her neck and the collar, as per box instructions. I wish I could post a picture!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

On Monday, September 17, 2018, my indoor-only, domestic short-haired cat passed away at the age of 13 due to HORRIFIC complications directly-associated with the Sentry PurrScriptions Squeeze-On product. After seeing her suffer with flea bites all hours of the day and night, I chose the aforementioned product to treat her. I applied it topically—just as described on the package (at the nape of the neck and shoulder blades). Within a matter of hours, she was lethargic. My once-playful cat was laying in one spot. In finding her behavior odd, I picked her up and watched as she took two steps and then laid right back down. BAD SIGN #1. Shortly thereafter, I could HEAR her labored breathing and noticed it was very rapid. BAD SIGN #2.

In noting that the ONLY "new thing" that was introduced to her was the Sentry product, I quickly drew her a Dawn Dish Soap (the blue hand soap) bath and began wiping her down. For a cat who HATES water, she laid in my lap and allowed me to wipe her down while I frantically tried to get the medicine off of her fur. BAD SIGN #3. As she rested in my arms getting her bath, she began panting. BAD SIGN #4. I then made the decision to take her to our local 24-hour Emergency Vet (a 10-minute trip). By the time we made it there, she had experienced seizures and within 20 minutes of our arrival, my precious furbaby was DEAD. I am ANGRY!

After reading through the numerous 1-Star Reviews regarding Sentry's products for cats AND dogs, I do not understand how this product is STILL available for sale! Our furbabies are suffering needlessly and I, for one, am all for coming together with those who expressed interest to have a class-action lawsuit brought against Sentry. I pray my review helps save at least one. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Our 1 1/2 year old cat last night and within 30 min., she started drooling and foaming at the mouth. We immediately showered her, poor thing was freaking out. About 30 min later, the smell was still so strong from the drops, we showered her again and soaped her up really good. She is eating today, doesn't seem lethargic and while the fleas are falling off her body dead, I am more concerned with her being ok. We can still smell a slight odor from the drops and we are keeping a close eye on her to make sure she is seems like her old self, so far so good on that front.

I cannot believe a company would sell a product that contains an active ingredient in pesticides that has killed many of people's pets. I am looking to see if I can find any info about a class action lawsuit. Because of this experience, we now realize these same drops are what killed our 5 year old part bengal cat, Dexter, a few months ago. He was a much larger cat, so it took a little longer to notice anything until he suddenly became lethargic and just dropped dead.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I applied the Sentry Flea and Tick medicine between the shoulder blades on my 3-year-old [9lb] Maltese and within the hour he had the worst reaction. He wouldn't stop pacing/running around the house and scratching not at himself, but his bed, couch, towels, blankets, etc. I could tell he was so agitated and couldn't sit still. I finally got on this page and read how everyone was using Dawn dish soap, so I washed the spot I had applied the medication and it seemed like it helped a little, but he still wasn't acting normal.

The other reviews said the medication left a burn mark, so I slathered Aloe Vera on the spot and OMG he actually laid and calmed down for a few minutes. I kept applying more when I could see him about to act up again, but he finally started resting maybe an hour later. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! I purchased from PetSmart because it was cheaper, but never again. I was so upset with myself seeing my dog act like that because he never does and it was the adverse reaction to the medication I gave him. :/ I've never had any issues with other Flea and Tick brands.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This product burned his hair and skin off, so badly. The natural aspect of this product is misleading and there is nothing on the box that suggests side effects or adverse reactions of this extremity. Please spare your pet and help take sentry off the shelves.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Sentry Purrscription Indoor has TOXIC ingredients in it for cats! Peppermint oil, clove oil and lemongrass oil are all toxic to cats. It makes up 20% of the ingredients. The other 80% are canola oil, vanilla (toxic) and citric acid. Why are they selling this poisonous concoction to be put on cats when 2/3rds of the ingredients are toxic to the very animals they're being used on? I've washed my cat with Dawn dish soap and I'm praying that he doesn't get as sick as some other people's pets. I managed to wash him within an hour or two of it being put on him, but I'm still very upset and shaken by the revelation that a company is not concerned about the health of the pets they're peddling medication to. This is not an acceptable or humane way to run a business. I'm going to ask that this brand is removed and banned from the local petstore shelves.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My Fiance purchased Sentry Pro Xft for large dog 40-60 lbs. We applied it to my 2 year old black lab at night around 10:00pm and when I woke up my dog was in pain! Agitated, anxiety, whimpering and the worst was the scabs that developed from her uncontrollable itching. My poor baby has bleeding scabs. I immediately gave her a bath in Dawn soap and she's doing a little better but omg! These people should be sued for continuing to sell such a harmful product. DO NOT PURCHASE!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I bought Sentry Flea and Tick Large from PetSmart and my Great Dane did fine with it minus being very itchy since it dried out her skin. I used it on my cattle dog and to this day he is still having explosive diarrhea and whining, being extremely itchy and his skin is warm. If I could give them 0 stars I would. Stop making a product that ruins dogs. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Bought this last night for my 2 miniature schnauzers. Within an hour of having this on, one of my dogs was foaming at the mouth and pacing around, and wouldn't sit or lay down. She wouldn't drink or eat. After giving her a bath to wash off this horrible stuff, she still would not stop pacing. She was panting and whining. Soon my other dog started chewing at his tail, (which he was not doing before I put on the flea & tick medicine). Both dogs whined and cried all night long, even after they were given ** to help them sleep. I started to look up other reviews and was amazed at the sheer number of people who are experiencing the same thing I was with their pets. How is this stuff even still allowed to be on the market?!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

This product is absolutely horrible! PetSmart should remove this product from the shelves immediately. One of the scariest and worst nights we have had in many years. I applied this to my 45 pound Chow at 10 PM and by 1045 all of the symptoms described in other complaints were happening. By 11 o’clock I was on the Internet and knew this was a reaction to this product. I was shocked and appalled by how many people have had the same reaction to their pet. If the symptoms would have worsened at all I would have taken my pad to the ER. As it was when I open the door to take her out to bathe her with Dawn dishwashing liquid, she immediately jumped in the pool.

My dog swims daily and I was unable to get her from the pool because it was the only relief she could find. I immediately based her with Dawn dishwashing soap three times. Finally at 2:00 AM we dried her off for the last time but upon doing so she immediately started with all of the symptoms again. I ended up holding my dog until 6 AM massaging the area that the product was applied. It was the only relief I could get her all night long! What an absolutely terrible product! I believe the company Sentry as well as PetSmart should be responsible for the damage this is causing to our pets! For many of us our pets are part of our family and I could never imagine doing something like this to one of my daughters.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Sentry Pro XLT - This flea & tick medication (if you can call it that) was horrible. An hour after the treatment was applied my dog started panting, biting, scratching and crying in pain. My husband & I were up half the night bathing & soothing our poor dog. We had to use Dawn dish liquid on him to remove the oily residue this product left behind. And give him ** to stop him from itching. This product should be removed from stores, I read that 30% of all dogs that had this treatment became like this. This is unacceptable. I will never use this product again!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I am completely devastated. I used Frontline for years and it was great, but this is all that the Petco sold. It burned my dog and she is still so uncomfortable. My vet said some of these aftermarket brands are linked to bladder cancer, and sure enough, I looked up that this contains a carcinogen. Not only did I do damage to my pet’s health, but my own by having to be in contact with this product trying to relieve my pet’s terrible pain. What can we do about this as a community? This needs to be taken off the market. I hate to think that this has happened to so many of us here and will continue to happen.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My girlfriend had gone to PetSmart to get our 5yr old cat flea medicine and the employee that helped my girlfriend told her to get Sentry instead of Frontline and that it was an amazing product so she applied it to our cat and over the last few days our cat is completely different. She's losing chunks of fur where the flea medication was put. Her skin looks red and like it’s burning and she refuses to come near anyone of us now. We looked online to see if anyone else had any problems and so far we have not found a single good review about this product. If you love or care about your animals do not try this product and make the same mistake we and countless others have made.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased this product attempting a cheaper temp solution to a flea problem before our scheduled grooming appointment. I put this product on him in the afternoon and went to work the next morning, upon returning home I could clearly see he was in discomfort. He was whimpering and could not sit for any amount of time. I attempted to wash the product off with Dawn but this doesn’t seem to helping. I gave him an anti-inflammatory and put aloe on the irritated area, he was able to sleep for a while but this needs to be done every 4-5 hours. Let’s just say I’m sleepy and frustrated that this product is even still on the market after see all of these reviews. I wish I would have seen this before I bought it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Applied Sentry Pro XFT Flea and Tick on my 4 year old labradoodle. Within an hour she was in severe pain. The product burned her skin. I gave her a bath with Dawn dish detergent but that didn't really work. Her head kept snapping back trying to deal with the pain. We could not touch her back and neck for days because of the pain. She started to improve by the third day. Eight days later and she is doing better. For the first few days we gave her **, it helped her sleep. If you are reading this before you buy the product, I urge you NOT to apply this to your doggie. I wish I would have read the reviews before I applied this poison, it was horrible to see our doodle in so much pain.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We bought this product for our large dogs and also for our medium/small size dog, according to weight. All three of our dogs have suffered from horrific allergic reactions. Excessive scratching, coughing, wheezing, panting, lethargy and neurological-type symptoms. It was only after this experience that I started doing research about this product, only to find that these reactions and symptoms are the norm, not the exception. Don't repeat my mistake and buy the cheap crap. Check with your vet first.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I purchased Sentry flea and tick medication for my two cats today. I have a 15 year old tabby and 1 year old baby who is 4 pounds. Upon putting the medication on my older cat he seemed fine and I waited for 30 minutes and watched to ensure he didn't try cleaning himself. Then I put it on my little girl and she immediately started freaking out running around the house and scratching excessively where I put the medication. She then hid under the bed and that scared me, because she was scratching and licking and I was worried that she got some on her paw and was being poisoned.

I found this site and many more explaining horrible reactions to this medication. I immediately bathed them both and am keeping an eye on them. My little girl is drooling a little and isn't acting like her normal self. I called the vet and she said keep them hydrated and watch them overnight. I'm so angry. I've submitted a complaint to PetSmart, one for selling it and two, to have removed it from their shelves.

Original review: July 26, 2018

A week ago I purchased a 2 collars for twelve month protection by Sentry Flea & Tick Collar for large dogs. I have to say I am very disappointed in this product. My lab/mix dog had started with fleas so I decided to try this product out. Instead of fleas disappearing my dog has more fleas. It does not matter how much I comb her out, the fleas keeping coming back. I spent $39.99 plus tax for this purchase. I have just ordered from another company, I used last year, that is costing me more money due to failure of Sentry Flea and Tick Collar. I would recommend that this product is tested better. I wish I had read reviews before I bought it.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought the flea and tick collars for my 2 small dogs. Before I put them on I gave each a bath and checked them and all was ok. So I put the collars on them with the summer coming to be ahead of the flea season and I had taken them to the groomer and found out both dogs are loaded with fleas. I am very disappointed in this product. I gave both dogs a flea bath tonight and then I am hoping I can find a groomer that will help to get rid of these things. My dogs only go out for the bathroom and then back in. Now my house, must be fumed.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I bought Sentry Pro Flea & Tick Squeeze On for dogs for the proper body weight. Within 15 minutes my dog started running around and panting hard. She seemed to be very uncomfortable and rubbed her rump against everything like something was biting her. She’s whimpering. She couldn’t stay still and hasn’t had a nap in seven hours. I keep picking her up to hold her and her heart is pounding and her breathing is labored. I’m going to bathe her to see if I can get the stuff off her fur. I will never buy anything made by this company again. This product is made by Sergeant's Pet Care Products, Inc. I’m going to see if Petsmart in Norman, OK will give me a refund.

Original review: July 10, 2018

LOOKING FOR A LAWYER WHO WILL TAKE ON SENTRY IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! I purchased the Sentry Pro XFT for our 103 lb. lab "Marley" on June 29, 2018. On 7/2/18 I administered it to Marley per instructions by parting the fur down his back about 2 inches down from his neck. The next morning when I came downstairs, I noticed a little bit of pink on the back of his neck showing through his fur. For the next several days he became listless and was continuously breathing harder. He spent most of his time lying on the floor and it often looked like he was fading. On Thursday 7/5/2018, I called. I set up a vet appt. for earliest time on 7/6/18. When the vet noticed the red spot shining thru his thick fur, she shaved him and when I saw him, I was horrified, disgusted, and scared. He had a blistering rash that was oozing, bleeding, and spread like wildfire. She put him on ** and antibiotics.

That same day I hugged Marley at one point (before vet appt. in afternoon) and a few hours later out of thin air, I had the most horrific allergy attack I've ever experienced. My eyes started itching uncontrollably. My eyelids thickened and became swollen. I had to take my contacts out. By evening my right eye was totally swollen shut and lasted over 24 hours. I had a rash underneath my shirt on my chest/stomach area. Also I had spots on the inside of my right arm; all places that had been in contact with the dog. It wasn't until 2nd dose of ** was in Marley (7/7/18) that the spread of the rash began to stop spreading. On 7/7/18, I also went back to talk to the manager(s) at PetSmart in Raleigh, NC. (I had gotten my money back the night before, but there was no manager on duty that night).

So I showed them the photos in their office and I told them the only thing I truly wanted was for them to IMMEDIATELY remove the products from their shelves which they claimed they would do that day. (I plan to check this weekend). I have opened a case with Sentry. I would like my vet bill paid for. But what I want more than anything in the world is for this product to be REMOVED from the market. I've since done research and seen all the horrible photos of pets with rashes exactly like Marley and worse. I've read about all the people whose beloved cat or dogs died within hours or a few days of having had Sentry products applied to their skin. It truly is heartbreaking. And the five days Marley was on the floor were terrifying.

He truly seemed to be fading at times. His ears had uncontrollable and involuntary twitching. He hides and sulks in corners now. He won't get on the couch with us anymore (he is allowed this as we have old couches) and hides as if he's a "bad dog" for having a rash. It's really sad to see the dog avoiding socialization now. I would like this product removed from the market for several reasons: 1. It's harmful or fatal to pets. (The smaller pets seem to fare far worse). The labels even say fatal to cats. But the writing is small. And consumers often don't understand massive amounts of instructions on a very small box.

2. It's dangerous to humans. Have there been incidents of babies or small children being harmed? Would people with sick children even connect the dots? I'm thinking of families who allow babies or toddlers or small kids to roll around the floor with their beloved dog, pet and smooch all over the cat, etc., not knowing. 3. The active ingredient cyphenothrin is a synthetic pyrethroid that is a neurotoxin to ticks and fleas. In small doses, it excites their nervous systems. In high doses it paralyzes them and they die. Well guess what? That's what happens to the pets as well. Since it's a transdermal application, it gets in the bloodstream and for some pets, they have severe, even fatal reactions.

4. The vast number of pets harmed or killed can EASILY BE found online. I have already started an online folder of documented injuries/deaths as well as contacts of victims for any attorney who takes this class action lawsuit to assist with research. 5. Perrigo, the parent company of Sentry needs to OWN the responsibility for this as their core values state online say they are a company of integrity; doing what is right and accepting responsibility; holding ourselves accountable for our actions.

Finally, let me add I would rather see the product pulled off the market forever than receive financial compensation. However, those that have experienced vet bills, or worse...the trauma of losing a beloved family member simply because they were trying to be responsible, loving, pet owners deserve profound compensation for pain and suffering. Can you imagine the guilt you feel when you see your family member/pet suffer because YOU did not understand the risks of such a dangerous product? You thought you were being loving and trying to help rid them of fleas. Instead you killed or harmed them! It's horrible!

Lastly: When I spoke to manager at PetSmart, they were kind enough to give me back the Sentry Pro XFT that I had returned the night before. (There were 2 vials left). They are unopened and I would love to have them tested for toxicity levels. Even when I called Sentry on the weekend the first time, the lady with their answering service said I may have gotten a bad batch, and perhaps this vial was more "concentrate". That made total sense and perhaps is a possibility. This is long enough. Let the photos speak for themselves and if any law firm would be willing to take the case, you will be doing a favor for all the unsuspecting pet owners across America who buy this product every day NOT knowing the dangerous risks they are about to take with their pet.

I don't want to see more testing done with this product and thereby jeopardizing other animals. I want it removed from the market!!! Alternative/cheaper/organic solutions exist that would not interfere with profitability. I pray others will see this and think twice before applying chemical neurotoxins found in (also endocrine disruptors in people) to their family pet. Most of the brands have complaints, but Sentry and Hartz seem to have a ton!

Original review: June 27, 2018

My son bought this product from Petsmart where he is also an employee. My dog is a one year old Border Collie. It’s 3 am and we put the product on him at 2 pm yesterday. He started having a reaction within 30 min. I gave him 2 baths. He is restless, can’t sleep, breathing heavy, scratching. It’s sad to watch. Waiting for the vet to open at 7:30. We should have read the reviews because my dog is experiencing the same as all the reviews. Don’t use this product. I will have my son talk to management. This product shouldn’t be sold.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I used Sentry flea and tick on my cat and it burnt her in 2 spots and she lost hair all around the burns. It all happened within a few hours. I tried to wash off but the damage was already done. Picture doesn’t do it justice. DO NOT use this product! I didn’t know the bad reviews when I bought it. It should be taken off the market.

Sentry Pet Products Company Information