1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 14, 2018

627 Sentry Pet Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 14, 2018

I gave the Sentry flea treatment to my dog a couple of days ago and didn't think much of it. It began losing hair, but he is a husky and blowing his coat but then we notice it coming out in clumps and upon inspection, the areas I applied the treatment were brown and large clumps of hair were coming out. He also has diarrhea. We have washed the area and we are taking him to PetSmart, where we bought the product to give him a bath and hear their recommendations. We used to use Advantage and never had a problem. Please DO NOT use this product!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Have used for 3 years - I have a colony of 6 feral cats in a protected wilderness area on Staten Island, NY. Spring thru late autumn, fleas are terrible & I must provide protection for my gang. I used to use a broad-spectrum, prescription-only medicine that got rid of fleas, ear mites, & worms, but not ticks. A couple years ago, the deer population boomed & we got ticks. My vet recommended Frontline, but the ingredients in Sentry Fiproguard plus are identical and at a price often half as much, an important consideration for me with multiple cats. It is important, critical even, to apply ANY of these medications with great, great care -- even on a wiggling, crying feral cat -- as they are basically insecticides. They absolutely MUST be applied at the lower neck between the shoulder blades where the cat cannot paw or lick, and to part the fur & get the drops on skin at the base of the fur so it can spread & dilute.

I have used Sentry Fiproguard Plus on cats as young as 2 and as old as 9, weighing as little as 7 lbs. and as much as 20 lbs. I always observe them after I apply the drops. I have never, ever had a negative reaction or side effects of any kind. And the stuff works. No scratching, no ticks -- or rather, ticks who drop by & dig in pull out fast. By the end of the 30 days, the Fip+ is weakened & more meds must be applied. But as I say, the area where my colony site is located is a wilderness and would put any vermin preventative to the test.

The Sentry Fiproguard Plus has performed quite well for me. The price points make it appealing to me but as I said earlier, this Sentry product is identical in content to a more recognizable national brand name. The lower price does not indicate that it is cheap & cut rate. Rather, it is comparable to buying a generic over a brand name drug. I've used some other Sentry products over the years and by & large have been very satisfied with the results.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 7, 2018

Sentry flea treatment is dangerous - I gave my 6 year-old cat Sentry flea treatment. The product smelled like Listerine. The quantity was way too much for a single dose. She licked some of the product, began foaming at the mouth, then threw up. Within a short period of time, she began exhibiting extreme behavioral changes. Approximately four months after I treated her with the product, my otherwise healthy cat died of what I was told was likely a stroke. Do not buy this product!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I bought Sentry flea dip for dogs and the expiration date is still over a year out. I have had the product in the cupboard for about 6 months. We went to Florida with our 14 lb Havanese and she contracted fleas there. I bathed her in flea shampoo and still saw some bugs on her so I tried the dip. It was curdled white like spoiled milk when I poured it out into the water. Couldn't be any good for killing anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

USED THIS ON MY 2 YEAR OLD CAT AND IT MAY KILL HIM. I have over 900.00 in vet bills and after 3 days he still is having major problems. I put Sentry cat flea medication on him Monday morning, by Monday evening he was at the vet with tremors. This am he wet himself all over me and my bed. I believe this product should be pulled from the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I put Sentry for cats on my two 14 year old cats. The next day one of my cats started meowing incessantly and looked like she was having balance issues. She was howling and could not stop drinking water. The other cat just hid. I noticed and felt a greasy film of the flea medication that had spread across the back and when they groomed I'm sure they were ingesting it. I gave each of them a bath and used baby shampoo. They were not happy with the bath but I'm not smelling it on them now. I'm hoping the symptoms are going to vanish. This is very upsetting. This stuff should be off the market.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought Sentry ear mite medication (Earmite free ear miticide for cats) to help treat ear mites in my kitty, hoping to avoid a vet visit. The drops caused her ears to become very red and hot to the touch. Some of the skin on the inside started peeling a little as well. It was obvious that she was in pain. She became very lethargic and nervous, hiding behind the couch giving off the most pitiful meows, and trembling whenever anyone would touch her. This was very worrisome since she's usually an active and extremely affectionate cat. When I saw what it was doing I stopped the treatment, bathed her right away to get it off, and took her to the local animal clinic.

This was a very hard lesson to learn about trying to medicate my fur baby at home. She did have ear mites as I expected, but also had an ear infection. Instead of taking her to the vet in the first place, I ended up hurting her by trying to use the Sentry product. She's now on medicine not only take care of the infection but also to try and fix the damage done by these awful ear drops. So far, she seems to be doing better... but after reading other reviews I am still a little scared.

I had attempted to post an honest review on Sentry's webpage. Nothing in the review was inappropriate... it simply stated what had happened. I didn't call the product horrible, and even made an exception that perhaps my cat was sensitive to the ingredients. So it surprised me that an hour later I received an email stating that company moderators had deleted it. The fact that this company deleted an honest review (I assume because it told the truth about what the "medication" could do) makes me very angry. I will NEVER buy any of their products again. I will also make sure everyone I know with fur babies avoids them as well.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The box on this product (Sentry Pro XFT) should have FAR clearer warnings about side effects. My Boxer is 90 lbs and I used the product for dogs 61 lbs or more and he still had a severe reaction. His entire body/muscles were spasming/tremoring for almost an entire week. He was treated with ** and the vet had to prescribe muscle relaxers and ** so he could finally sleep after the first 4 sleepless nights of tremoring and pacing my house. It was awful. Now we're 10 days in and he's ok, Thank God! But he's still very sensitive when you touch anywhere where the medicine was. His muscles just lock up when you touch that area. I have faith that will go away soon, but the stress for him was hell. Not to mention vet bills and worrying that I hurt my perfectly healthy dog.

Don't use! Also, if you unfortunately used it on your dog before reading this and/or have a dog having reactions, OR your cat gets anywhere near a dog that has the medicine on him, wash the pet VERY well with a de-greasing soap (Dawn or Palmolive). The box for the product says to use mild soap...but that will NOT remove the product. Both vets I saw AND animal poison control said you must wash with a de-greasing soap because it's an oil based product. I wish I knew this. Do this, and get your pet to the vet! If you're lucky enough to read this before use, DO NOT USE! Learn from my mistake. Ask your vet for a better and safer flea/tick product!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Sentry purrscriptions plus squeeze on for cats 5lbs - This product has given my 10 month old Bengal cat SEVERE muscle spasms and vertigo like symptoms with nearly zero appetite. She is hiding under the bed on the verge of a seizure. I am not a Vet, but I am a nurse and it seems as though my cat has developed severe neurological issues ever since I put this on her yesterday! I called the number on the box and they couldn't do anything for me except give me an apology along with a case number for future reference. Now after 3 baths with dawn, I have to go see my vet for a problem I shouldn't even have to begin with! This is by far the worst flea medication on the market and I cannot believe it is allowed to still be sold! If my pet makes it through this, I will be sure to do everything I can to advocate for the abolishment of this DEADLY poisonous product.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Kills cats. Do not buy this product!!! We bought it for our indoor cat and our outdoor cat... My indoor baby died from uncontrolled seizures from this medication - veterinarian diagnosed - and my outside cat had two seizures but came out of it... This is the worst experience I’ve ever had with a pet, I’ve had 9 cats and 11 dogs and I had to helplessly watch my precious baby seizure all night and then be out down... This product KILLS CATS, DO NOT BUY!!! I will post on every website I possibly can to get this taken off the shelf!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I used Sentry Fiproguard on my English Mastiff, not knowing it was a bad product, wish I had researched... so now I feel just horrible. He began scratching and chewy for two days. I couldn't stand watching my boy tremble due to pain and so very restless. I immediately gave him a bath when I realized I had put poison on my baby!!! After his bath he literally looked at me with a thank you face... he's much better now. We always use Frontline, during the holidays we were running ragged and my mother purchased the Sentry because they were out of Frontline. Biggest mistake!!! They should remove this product ASAP!!! Please don't comment on how I shouldn't have used this product without doing my research... I feel bad enough already. It's Frontline and all natural shampoo for now on!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I wish I would've read these reviews before my husband bought the Sentry Flea Powder. He followed the instructions on the container and about 30 minutes later, he was choking, throwing up, couldn't catch his breath. We had to call 911, he was pretty much poisoned. Thankfully he is ok and our dogs weren't down with him at the time. They even said it was safe for them to be around! Worst product EVER!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

If I could give this company negative stars I would, because they don't even deserve the one I HAVE to give them in order to write this review. I am in absolute horror as I sit here and read all of the stories about people either losing their pets or their pets suffering injury, pain and irreversible illnesses due to these products that are MARKED SAFE AND NATURAL! Below is a link to the first story I found regarding death after our cat became ill from SENTRY, that led me to here... **. Here is my story. My husband and I went to Petco to find a NATURAL flea treatment for our family's cat Skully, there is NO WAY we were going to KNOWINGLY put something toxic and harmful on our baby. We read all the instructions and ingredients on the products in the store and decided to go with the SENTRY Natural Defense flea and tick spray for cats because the ingredients on the bottle were natural oils like peppermint oil and cinnamon oil.

With ingredients like that it has to be safe right? WRONG! Almost IMMEDIATELY after applying this spray to our cat she began foaming at the mouth and crying...acting weird and hiding. The being a little upset I could understand, she's a cat and we just sprayed her down with something. But the foaming? That scared me, so I IMMEDIATELY called the 800 number on the bottle, the lady on the other end took all my info and our cats info and even gave me a case #, she calmly told me that the product is indeed all natural and safe and that the only reason my cat was drooling was because she must have not liked the taste when she licked herself. Just give her some water and she would be fine. Again...WRONG! Next day she was still not acting her normal playful and full of life self, she was hiding and wouldn't come near us. We bathed her 3 times to wash the product off...and we can still smell it on her.

She was so weak she couldn't even fight us. A cat in a bathtub barely moved. What does that tell you? Our poor baby was ill. Hair falling out, she's now limping on her front legs and is very weak, breathing hard and in obvious distress. We are absolutely heartbroken that something WE put on our pet has done this to her. We thought we were doing the right thing by going the NATURAL route and not opting to put poisons on her, now we are sitting here praying she survives. This PRODUCT HAS NO BUSINESS ON STORE SHELVES AND MUST BE BANNED!!! We are taking her to PETCO this am and demanding their clinic to care for our baby and that they take this KILLER OFF THE SHELVES! Next call is a lawyer, this company needs to be held accountable for their irresponsibility. I know better now than to EVER trust a product label and a store website reviews on products. They just simply cannot be trusted.

PLEASE do your research before using products on your pet, just because it's sold at PETCO doesn't mean it's safe. I have started a Facebook group called "Pet owners against SENTRY" here is the link. **. Please come join and share your story. Let's stand together against this company and prevent them from harming any more animals.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Are people really this stupid? Doesn't everyone know by now that cheap OTC flea products not only do not work but they can harm your pets. On my way, lady complained because she bought the collars from Dollar General. YOU BOUGHT A FLEA COLLAR FROM DOLLAR GENERAL!!! What do you expect on and now she wants to hold Dollar General accountable for her ignorance. STOP BUYING OTC FLEA PRODUCTS. It's expensive to get the good stuff from your vets but worth it in the long run.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased this product to get rid of my cat’s fleas, product never worked and even got more flees. This is not my first time using liquid flees product but it's the first time using this product. Very disappointed and waste of money. Should have just used the Advantage from the vets in the first place, would have saved money.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I started using this product 'cause my Jack Russell was noted to scratch at intervals. After applying the product my dog has intense itching. It was horrible. I need to know, does this product cause itching? Very hesitant about using. Going on month 2 in a week or so. After 2-3 weeks the itching seemed not so intense but still noted to itch. I used a product to help the itching but wasn't so effective. Help???

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I applied to 2 cats on a Friday night and fleas actually increased tenfold in 2 days. I only put it on because I saw some when combing one cat. Simply put, the product (Sentry flea) does not work, and the cats don't feel well.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I put this product on my pug today and now, 6 hours later and in the middle of the night, he's itching like crazy, crying and very very restless. I've washed him with Dawn twice to get this garbage off him. We're going to the vet in the morning if he doesn't settle down, and I'll make sure my lawyer sends the bill for any medical expenses. Shame on me for not reading reviews. Shame on Petco for peddling this product, and shame on YOU for knowingly producing this junk that you know harms so many dogs and cats.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I'd like to know the people's pets recover from using Sentry Fiproguard for dogs after I hear all the problems they had. We put some on our dog and a couple weeks later he can barely walk up the stairs. He doesn't want to walk up the stairs. If anybody could help us let us know if they recover please.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have tried Sentry flea drops for the first time on both my cats and dogs. The product simply does not work. We are now infested and are paying out three times more money just to get rid of them. This product should be taken off the market.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

FiproGuard for Dogs completely doesn't work. Waste of money. I chose the correct product for my dog's weight and applied correctly according to instructions. My dog has continued to pick up fleas every time he goes outside. I've had to treat my house and buy new treatment. In the case of flea treatment, I believe the more money you pay the more effective the treatment.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I recently purchased two Sentry flea and tick collars for my cats from a local Dollar General against my best judgment, I was desperate and was unable to drive, so I purchased them, something is better than nothing. I had to take pictures this morning after the fourth day of combing both my cats so people would believe me. I had the collars on both my cats for a week and I have my whole house literally crawling with fleas. I am spraying flea spray all over my furniture and carpeting due to my cats’ persistent flea problem. My cats are constantly scratching and I have fleas even on myself. The collars aren't working and I would like for everyone to know not to buy these products. How can I make Dollar General responsible for the product that is on their shelves but manufactured by a company that is creating garbage. Beware of any Sentry product!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My perfectly healthy long haired Jack Russell was active & fine until I started giving her SENTRY FIPROGUARD due to the horrible tick season this year. Within 2 weeks after the first dose she developed dehydration & severe intestinal tract problems resulting in emergency surgery. After that episode, and a second month's dose of FIPROGUARD shortly thereafter she started dragging one leg, then two & finally was diagnosed with a neurological condition called ATAXIA resulting in the brain's inability to translate messages to the legs & their movement.

Gracie's quality of life diminished from that point so with no cure to be had I dreadfully had to put my sweet girl down. From all the research I've done & from reading these posts I have no doubt that my baby was poisoned & wholeheartedly agree that there should be a class action suit against the makers of SENTRY FIPROGUARD!! I will work towards that end & fight for other animals in Gracie's name that have to suffer such a dreadful fate!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I just want to know who is going to file a class action law suit against this company? My poor baby was vomiting, couldn't breathe, panting, crying in pain. I washed my dog 7 times, it was too late!! Third degree burns, my dog is my child. It has been about two weeks, and now all his hair is falling out in the area I put the medication.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I originally bought the waterless flea/tick spray by Sentry and shortly after applying it by the directions, my cat bathed herself as cats do, and following that she went into seizures and almost lost her. I took the product back to the store I bought and exchanged it for their dual action flea and tick collars, three weeks after having put the collar on the second cat, he ended up raw around the neck. He has no hair and sores all around the neck where the collar wore off the hair. THREE weeks! Now after talking to the corporate office regarding this product, and the other product almost killing my cat, they seem to think they are only refunding me two collars, they got another thing coming. I can't get my cat back to how she was before and that is bull!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

A Petco employee recommended Sentry Pro XFT saying it is the same as Frontline which I quickly found out is not true! My poor pug was in agony after applying the flea medicine. She can't sleep and her heart is racing. She is scratching and rubbing against furniture and running in circles. She is whimpering and clawing at me for help and shaking. I have talked to 2 vets and they both said this is a toxic flea medicine that affects the neuro system with no antidote and I can only wash her with dish soap and give her ** and hope she comes out of it. After reading multiple complaints about this poison I am very nervous about the outcome. Many people have lost pets from this awful stuff and my hearts go out to them after this experience.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I'm experience with my dog which is my kid the same experience everyone else is experiencing with this product! Her skin is probably on fire. She hasn't slept all night. I've given her two baths with her regular dog shampoo and thanks to all the reviews I went and bought Dawn soap and chamomile tea! It's horrible that people have lost their loved ones due to this product that is still on the market! She still hasn't been able to sit still and relax. Sentry Pro if my baby isn't going to be ok you will be getting more than a bad ** review!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I applied the above Sentry product (Fiproguard Plus Flea and Tick Squeeze) to my Coton de Tulear last night. She had a horrible reaction to pooping in the house, vomiting over six times this morning, and now is shaking (tremors). I called the company and the representative states it is unlikely a reaction to their product unless she ingested it. Which is crap. I put a portion of it on her and threw it in the tall wastebasket. She never had additional contact with the medication nor could she reach it with her legs or head. The representative said this reaction is uncommon and never had heard of this reaction. As I read this forum, obviously it does happen and not limited to my dog. The rep said she probably needs to go to the vet. Disgusting company. At least have a back-up plan so when dogs have a reaction we can curtail it from the beginning. NOT IMPRESSED and very angry with Sentry.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Two days ago I bought a Sentry flea and tick collar. I needed an affordable collar for the moment until I were to get paid the following week. I noticed that the following day my Chihuahua was not acting normal. I brushed it off due to me thinking he "marked" in my home or done something else he wasn't supposed to do. I woke up this morning and he was still acting a bit strange (his collar fell off of him last night beside the bed, but I told myself I'd put it back on him tomorrow). Things happen for a reason! I started petting my pup and I felt something around his neck, kind of like dried syrup/candy on his inner neck fur. So, I look and was horrified at what I seen. My baby has a sore on his little neck. I cringed as I parted his fur to get a clear view of this... I am truly sick at what this "flea collar" has done to my dog. This is obviously poison to animals. Yes! I should have reviewed the product first, but at that time it didn't cross my mind.

I am livid that products like these are even allowed on the shelf... But not shocked. Everyone I know always wonder why I use all natural for just about everything. I use whether my own products or for my babies. That same day that I got the Sentry flea collar I also purchased some all natural flea powder and shampoo. I wasn't able to the all natural flea tags that evening, they are $50 per tag and I have three pups. Needless to say, I took both collars off of my pups (I also had a collar on my shepherd mix pup, thank goodness he didn't develop a rash or sore). I will NEVER in my life purchase anymore products from Sentry. I will definitely be calling Sentry today and give them a picture perfect piece of my mind.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I bought this product at Petsmart thinking it was a safe product to use on my 10 year old cat. I used other mid priced brands without any issues. I by no means wanted to go cheap but felt this product should be good at the price it was. $25 for 3 single monthly doses. I applied on the back of the neck between the shoulder blades. He seemed fine. A little groggy as usual but not out of the ordinary. I was horrified in the morning when I saw his neck with patches of missing fur and a red rash. He was upset but not physically sick but I could tell he wasn't happy with his human. I panicked but he ate his food and was acting normal without anything else but the rash. I certainly will not use this product and will be returning it back to Petsmart completely dissatisfied with the outcome. Shame on all of you that let this overpriced cheap product sell on the shelves.

Sentry Pet Products Company Information