Sentry Pet Products

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Sentry Fiproguard - We purchased this poison from Pet Supplies Plus. After applying to our 6 month old Basset Hound, about 30 minutes later, she started scratching, whining, rolling on her back and dragging her back legs. Immediately we put her in the bath with dawn platinum and scrubbed her 3 times! Needless to say our 4 children were beside themselves with worry. After contacting the 800 number on the back of the box, someone finally was able to speak with us. We were told what to do and explained that we had already bathed her and given **. We were finally able to get her settled after about 5 hours. I cannot understand why this product is still being sold. Do not buy this product and Do Not Use this product. We will go back to Frontline which we have never had any problems with.

My sister and I bought Sentry XFT Pro at PetSmart on October 29, 2016. My sister is a vet tech and applied the product to our older dogs -- Maybel (11) and Alvin (10) because we adopted a puppy that had fleas. (We also purchased Capstar -- generic version for the puppy.) Exactly 5 hours after my sister applied the Sentry Pro XFT, Alvin was growling. He was by my feet, so I checked on him. I noticed that he was air scratching with his hind legs, his muscles were twitching, he was having spasms, shaking like he was wet and trying to dry himself off, tremors, and weakness. He was taken to the ER. The vet thought his symptoms were back related because he had back surgery a little over 2 years ago.

On Sunday, October 30th, Maybel was sleeping with me, and I could feel her leg twitching. She had all the same symptoms as Alvin, but to a lesser degree. While I was tending to the dogs, my mom called the number on the box, and spoke to Abby. Abby told us to wash the dogs in a dish detergent, like Dawn 3x, apply vitamin E oil to the site where the medication was applied, and to use an ice pack on the site. She said the symptoms would resolve within 24 hours.

Alvin's symptoms got worse after his bath. My mother called the number on the box again. The representatives are basically reading off of a script and are no help at all. Alvin was taken back to the ER. The strange thing is, his symptoms would abate when he'd go to the vet. The vets were never seeing the full extent of his symptoms. (I think they thought we were crazy, even though my sister works there and showed them videos.)

On Monday, October 31st, we called the number on the box again. Both dogs were still experiencing symptoms and getting worse. The representative told us to take the dogs to the vet and have them call them... Our vet did not call the company, she called poison control and Ohio State. There is no antidote. The only thing that was recommended was ** 500 mg three times a day. That didn't work. Went back to the vet on November 1st. Another vet was there. He did research. He called the company. The representative told the vet that the symptoms could last 72 hours. Why did they keep telling my mom 24 hours? And, when the vet calls because my dogs aren't getting better, suddenly it can take up to 72 hours?

On November 2nd, we called the number on the box AGAIN. The product was washed off of both dogs on October 30th, around noon. Both dogs were worse, not better. Alvin's symptoms were much worse. Again, the representative said to take him to the vet. (That's what we had been doing every day since we applied the Sentry Pro XFT.) We called our vet. He thought it would be better to take him back to the ER. The same vet that examined him over the weekend, examined him again. He came into the exam room and apologized for believing the issue was his back.

Alvin's symptoms progressed from hind leg issues to twitching of the front legs. He also had facial twitching. (Maybel had the same symptoms, but as I said, to a lesser degree.) Although Alvin's symptoms got better when he was excited, the vets were able to observe his symptoms while he was hospitalized. Alvin's blood work was perfect. So an infection was ruled out. Alvin was released the following day. The vet said to keep both dogs on the ** for 7 days. If they didn't get better, the next step would be to consult with a neurologist.

I recently lost 2 dogs within weeks of each other. A 12 year old beagle who had chronic kidney disease and likely cancer. (She developed several large masses quickly, along with clumps of swollen lymph nodes). And, an almost 14 year old pug, who had so many health problems. I had 2 healthy dogs. Both recently had physicals. Now, they're air scratching, their legs are shaking, they're having muscle spasms, tremors, and twitching? Alvin is weak. He cries, whimpers, and moans. That's a terrible life. I don't know what they're feeling, but it has to be horrible to not have control of your own body. Their personalities have changed. I don't know if it's because they don't feel well or if it's because of the product. But they are not the same dogs.

When you call the number on the box, it directs you to the main company, which is Sergeant's. My mom was told that I could submit their medical bills and fill out forms. The bills have to be paid in full. And, from my understanding, they will decide whether or not they will pay the bills. I'm 36 years old and disabled. I've borrowed money to pay their bills. I don't even know the cost of the hospitalization. I know I can't afford to pay for it. Sergeant's is responsible. I would NEVER have applied Sentry Pro XFT on my dogs, if I knew there was a chance this could happen. From the research I've done, there have been enough incidences that it should be listed as a side effect/complication on the box. The fact that the company continues to ignore this problem is pure negligence. I may not have money to get a lawyer, but I intend to go to the media. Pet owners need to be made aware of the dangers of this product.

Today is 11/24/16. I'm finally finishing this review. We never had to take Alvin and Maybel to the neurologist. Slowly, their symptoms subsided. Both dogs still have skin sensitivity (especially outside when the wind blows). This product needs to be taken off the shelves before this happens to another dog or cat. We've used Frontline and Revolution before, without any problems. Sentry Pro XFT left a greasy mess all over my dog's fur.

In the past, whenever I applied Frontline or Revolution, once it was applied to the skin and I put their fur down. I couldn't see where it was applied. Sentry Pro XFT left a greasy residue on their fur. Their fur was still greasy when we bathed them the following day. That's extremely dangerous for humans and pets. The product can rub off on anything and an animal can lick it. A human can pet their dog and without thinking eat or do anything where they'd ingest some of the chemicals. Simply petting your animal, would expose humans to the chemicals.

I'm not sure if Sentry Pro XFT is supposed to be greasy or if I received a defective product? I don't know if the package was labeled incorrectly. We bought the package labeled for dogs 21-39 pounds. The barcode on my package is 7309102910. Regardless, the issue remains... I have 2 dogs that were healthy. My sister applied Sentry Pro XFT and they were air scratching, twitching, shaking as if they're trying to dry off, having tremors, spasms, and skin sensitivity.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!! (Because I am disabled and suffer from a disease that causes chronic pain, I advocate for chronic pain patients.) I will do everything I can to get this product off the shelves. I have videos of my dogs. Sergeant's knows this product is dangerous and continues to sell it, without even a warning on the box. If it was a human medication, and 1% of patients suffered a side effect or complication, it would be listed. It should be the same for animals.

Sentry Pro XFT - I put these drops on my Mini Schnauzer and Havanese at 9:30pm one week ago. At 3am, my Mini Schnauzer was in so much pain I had to take her to the emergency vet for a shot and meds at home. Her stomach was so swollen she was in so much pain she could not lay down. She was salivating so much she could not drink water. She has been twitching on and off. She is not herself still and that was a week ago. She won't eat much at all. The Havanese has stopped eating also. Both dogs are scratching themselves ferociously. I am having to give them Benadryl. I am about to have to take both dogs to the vet again. These drops should be ban!!!

Yesterday I bought sentry liquid for fleas on my 10 year old cat. I followed the instructions to place between shoulder blades. Approximately an hour later she started throwing up. She continued this up into today. When puking today it was dry heaves as there is nothing left in her stomach. She is very quiet. Sitting in one spot. This is not her normal behaviour. Not eating, not drinking. I took her to the vet to the tune of 900 dollars! They are keeping her overnight soaking her in a dawn dish liquid bath and putting an iv in her. They are taking blood and checking kidneys and liver. The vet said she is very toxic and that the sentry drops are a pesticide! Why in the name of God are stores allowed to sell this. I am beyond appalled, upset. She could end up dying overnight. Please please please do not ever buy this crap. I feel horribly guilty for this. I won't know anything more until morning.

I wish I would have never bought it. It's going on a week and my dog has been scratching his neck area non stop. He drags his back legs when he walks like he had a stroke or something. It must have burned his skin or nerves because he cries in his sleep. I have been up with him in the night for days now trying to calm him down. I gave him the dawn bath and oatmeal baths to try to weaken the dose. It makes him worse when it gets wet. I hope my dog does not have permanent neurological damage. Bought it at Petsmart and will be taking it back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

We bought this product in good faith at PetSmart and it was stated that this has the same ingredients as brands we trust like Frontline. This is NOT Frontline!! Both cats were fine at first and then we noticed some off behavior. Not anything concerning, just odd for our cats' personalities. We didn't put 2 and 2 together with the collars until one of our cats stopped eating. We immediately removed the collars, but it was too late. One of our cats passed Friday while we were at work and the other passed tonight right in front of our eyes. PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS COLLAR!!!

I'm sick to my stomach. I wish I would have looked up this product before I ever tortured my dog in this way. She is a 64 lb lab and within hours she was literally dying. Panting heavily, heart beating rapidly, twitching. I quickly jumped online and saw these horrific reviews. I was losing my dog and I hated myself for EVER using this. I quickly put her in the tub and starting washing her with Dawn dish soap. She was lethargic and just laid there. I washed her really really well TWICE. Immediately after, I called the emergency vet and let them know I was bringing her in. Slowly she came back to life. She's still not herself, but I'm praying she will be ok in a few days. This stuff needs to be banned forever. Don't purchase this thinking you will save a few bucks. Instead you will end up with an enormous vet bill, an animal that is no longer the same as they used to be and worse of all, a deceased pet.

Two weeks ago I thought I saw a flea on my sock so becoming frantic I decided to go get some treatment for my indoor cat as well as an outdoor cat. I never thought to check reviews before and I purchased this because yes it is more affordable. Thank God I applied it to both cats and they never had any reaction whatsoever. So today I decided to get on to check reviews just to see if it does work, and WOW I'm shocked to see what it is doing to your precious pets! I'm so sorry to all of you that have had terrible experiences with this Sentry, and I immediately after reading these reviews chased my cat down and washed her back with Dawn and I will never use this product again. I plan on going to pay the extra money for the safe treatment for sure. I'm just so glad my pets were safe after using this!!

I used this on my cat for a minor flea issue and he is now in the hospital with acute liver toxicity. Please save your animal's life and don't use this product!! I cannot lose my baby. I was trying to avoid a chemical and ended up poisoning him with clove oil. How can Sentry put this in their product!?

I can't believe this product is still on the shelves in major pet stores. The chemicals in it are NOT the same as those from your vet and are extremely toxic. I used it on our healthy, strong 16 lb. male cat. Almost immediately had severe adverse reactions, including burning and fur loss at application site. We ended up bathing him with dish soap (no easy feat), but will probably have to do so again in the next few hours. Our vet said that selling this product bordered on unethical. Can't believe I put my cat in danger and causes him pain just to save a buck. Pay a little extra for a reputable product that works and is safe.

Do NOT use this product!!! I have American Bulldogs, GW and Jeb. This product caused a neurological reaction to Jeb. He was unable to use his back legs and we are still not sure if he will fully recover!!! It also caused him to have episodes of panic and slapping his gums. You can view my videos on my Facebook page: Emily **.

This product is highly dangerous has thousands and thousands of terrible reviews!! How is this still on the shelves at trusted pet stores??? Please stop this company!! This is also the same company that produces Hartz, which also has a long history of hurting animals. This needs to stop!!! The only side effect warning on the back of the box indicated rash -- there needs to be more than just rash to warn people!!!

Yesterday morning I put this product on my 18 pound Jack Russell Terrier. Within minutes he began running through the house frantic... rolling... pacing. I called the vet. They said, "Wash him immediately with Dawn," which I did. It helped a small amount but he continued the behavior... panting, rolling, lay down 3 to 5 seconds, up and moving. Vet visits later, it has been determined it was the poison in Sentry Pro that is causing the issues. He is on muscle relaxers... ** and ** which ** did not help at all. Today he is slightly better. Still rolling in to walls and the floor. Was told by vet the muscle relaxer will help him rest and this will last 48 to 72 hours. HE is NOT out of the woods yet. NEVER EVER USE THIS PRODUCT AND PLEASE PASS THE WORD BEFORE ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER has a reaction or dies from a product that should be off the market!!!

I put the Sentry flea and tick drops on my 35lb beagle. Within hours the site where I applied it became severely irritated. He kept rolling on his back yelping out in discomfort. I called their after hours line and was told to bathe him with Dawn, which I did. It's been 2 days and he's still very uncomfortable and barking/yelping out in discomfort. The affected area was oozing and now it's scabbed up. He's still licking at certain spots and I'm afraid he's going to lose his fur. I've been giving him ** which seems to help for a while. But last night I was woken up by the constant rolling around and yelping. Terrible experience.

I am heartbroken as my third cat is dying from use of this product. It causes seizures, confusion, total neurological problems... stumbling when trying to walk, falling down, and hiding from the people they love so much. Then they stop eating and drinking. I am beyond upset, and so mad at myself for buying this product that has already killed two of my healthy babies, and the third will have to be put down in the morning. We are talking about healthy indoor cats!

Like just about everyone else has already - this product should be banned! I had used it on a previous golden retriever without incident but today when I put it on my current Golden he experienced every single symptom everyone mentions here. Gave him **, bathed him with Dawn, bathed him with Johnson's Baby Shampoo, even had him swim in the pool for an hour. He came out of the pool & the first thing he did wasn't to shake all the water off, it was to start biting the base of his tail! Now he's scratching, rolling, drooling incessantly, panting again & he's suddenly jumping on my sofa - something he's never done! I will be filing complaints with the Consumer Product Safety Commission & anyone else who wields any power over companies with unsafe products.

We gave this treatment to our three dogs. Two did okay. The other we weren't so lucky. Within a short time (30 mins) he was pacing and acting like he was on fire, looked it up and saw all the horrible things. We immediately did the Blue Dawn twice it burned thru his fur and left him with huge sores. About a week later he was throwing up and acting lethargic so off to the vet for blood work. Came back with very high liver counts. Needless to say this Thursday we will be putting our beloved dog to sleep, our kids are heartbroken as I am too. He is in complete liver failure. He can't eat or drink without throwing up. His stomach is so bloated he looks pregnant. I swear if I knew this was going to happen I never would have put my dog thru such hell. We are heartbroken and hate seeing him like this. Why are they still selling this??? Maybe they should put it on themselves and see what it feels like!! How could you sell this? Heartless.

To say that I am angry is an understatement. I went to one of the largest pet supply chains and purchased flea medication for my 3 cats. I purchased Sentry Purrscription Plus for cats over 5 pounds and at least 12 weeks old. It is the purple box. Very soon after applying it to my animals in the correct dose, my youngest cat began having seizures and disorientation. She had vomiting and loss of balance. My two older cats also became skiddish and disoriented. They also have bald spots and chemical burns where it was applied. My animals suffered with these symptoms for 3 days. After doing research on the product, I became aware of hundreds of cases like mine with some having to euthanize their pets to end their suffering. Why is this product and others like it still being sold? Something has to be done! If a human ever had a reaction to meds it would be immediately removed and recalled. Please help. This is so disturbing.

I have 2 cats. I used the Sentry for fleas on both cats. Tuesday night I put it on them and my female went crazy and hidden for 4 days. I tried to wash it off and that's when she past out on me. I took her to the emergency room. Now she is dying cause of the poison I have put on her. She had blood transfusion and on all kind of medication. She is not getting any better, she stopped eating and drinking. Tomorrow morning, I have to make the choice of Euthanasia my baby. She is only six years old and was very healthy. They Killing my baby!!! My male cat keeps on licking the spot, I have put that poison (Sentry). I tried to wipe it off him. This product is dangerous, it shouldn't even be on the market. Please, do not use this on your pets!!

Bought the flea meds in the green Sentry box for my 4 month old cat because it was pretty affordable. Within 12 hours of using it my cat started getting lethargic and his skin where I applied it was deep red. Called the vet and they told me to wash it off ASAP and bring him in. He's okay now thankfully. After reading the other comments I feel terrible that I gave it to him without researching the product first. There seemed to be more fleas on him than he started with and it caused so many serious problems. Thank goodness he wasn't one of the cases where the animal passed away from it. I'm horrified that this product still exists. Never again will I buy the cheaper brand and not research the product first.

A week ago I applied the appropriate dosage of Sentry Pro XFT topical flea and tick medicine to my 3 dogs, 2 labs, and a Shiba inu. One of the labs reacted where he started twitching while laying down. It wasn't a seizure but reminded me of when dogs run in their sleep. The second lab started gnawing on an area near his tail. He chewed to the skin. The Shiba inu chewed badly so I got her a cone. I called the vet line associated with the product which is really not a vet line at all but more like calling customer service. Was told to bathe 3 consecutive times in blue dawn. Did this with all three animals. Was told that in some pets it causes a tingling sensation like pins and needles. And dogs don't understand it.

It was supposed to go away after 2 days. Well it's been over a week. The vet told me to do ** to relieve any itching where they had already been chewing or scratching. Yesterday the Shiba inu got her cone off while unsupervised and chewed through her skin into her muscle. She's going in to the vet today and I'm praying there isn't lasting damage. Would not recommend this product. I only wish I had seen these reviews before buying.

Squeeze on topical flea/tick liquid; Blue & Orange, for diff weights. TERRIBLE!! Dogs acting strange, worse -- itching like crazy!! Scary at first, then heartbreaking discomfort over several days. Multiple baths in Dawn, then oatmeal immediately -- nothing worked. At best, discomfort cut down from 7 to 4-5 days. Dogs had to bear it out. Apologies/denials from the company, told me to do what I already did -- no help. My bf realized later, a blue shampoo we stopped using last year was also by Sentry. Again -- itching like crazy. Their staff is terrible!! So sorry to hear about people losing their pets!! HORRIBLE BRAND, HORRIBLE PRODUCTS.

We used the Sentry product nearly a month ago on all four of our animals, two dogs and two cats. Luckily, two of them, one small dog and one cat, did not have any reaction to the product. I would note that they did not kill the fleas on hand. However, the first reaction we noticed was on our 100 lb dog. He had open sores on the back of his neck where the treatment was administered. This took almost two weeks to completely heal. This was terrible but not even close to the worst reaction that was had by the product. A couple hours after administering this product to our cat, we notice he was lethargic, panting and have neurological issues, unable to walk correctly. We took him to the vet immediately. He was treated for POISON. After multiples phone calls with the veterinarian and discussions of possible euthanasia, they were able to administer enough fluids to flush out his system, enough to break his fever.

Now, I would do anything to save my animals as they are not property, they are family. That trip to the vet cost us in excess of $1,200. After looking at reviews, which I admit I should have done in the first place, many others have the same complaints of these symptoms occurring to their animals. I feel truly sorry for those who couldn't be saved. DO NOT RECOMMEND. EVER. They are marketing to the middle to lower class due to the lower price but a product that has had this many complaints from families with sick pets should have been taken off the shelf a long time ago. Again, I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Indulge and spend the extra $50 to get a product that has been proven to work and keep your pet safe.

I bought Sentry CapGuard for my 9 month old cat and it made her very sick. I gave her the flea pill and within hours was not acting right. Very lethargic, stopped eating and drinking, acting paranoid, didn't know where she was. Within days she was having seizures foaming at the mouth and when I got her to the vet it's was too late. We had to have her euthanized. She died in enormous amount of pain because of this poison that is being sold as a safe way of getting rid of fleas. Please don't make the same mistake I did, please don't buy this product. If you care for your pets please stay away from Sentry CapGuard!!

I contacted Pet Smart/ PetSense as they are one in the same, all they wanted to do was argue about everyone who wrote in about Sentry Pet products harming their animals just had to make a mistake. Because in no way is Sentry nor Pet Smart doing anything wrong. So once again the mighty dollar wins out, because they are going to continue to stock Sentry Pet Products. Bottom line... DO NOT put any of this poison on your pets, and DO NOT shop at Pet Smart / PetSense.

Recently I have been getting a lot of flea bites, which I am allergic to. Haven't had this in many years. Have dogs 10 and 13 and never in their lives did I get one flea bite. Which brought me to the human flea bite site, which mentioned this site. My dogs are not itching and currently seem ok. However after reading the reviews I knew this was why I had the bites and thinking back to the beginning of the month when we give the flea drops, I was horrified. My two Bassett Hounds were so sick at the beginning of the month it was very sad. I have never seen a "lake" of vomit but this is what happened to both my dogs. Diarrhea and shaking as well. Looking frightened and acting very unusual. I guess I attributed the shaking to all the vomiting. At least they were continuing to drink, and one was eating small amounts. I never once thought it could be from the flea medication.

My husband had purchased Sentry Pro Fiproguard, he said it was less expensive and had the same medication as Frontline Plus. We never looked it up. I just thought our poor pups had a GI bug and I had examined the backyard to see if there was anything dangerous out there but found nothing. They were sick for about a week. We are in a slump financially or he never would have bought the cheaper brand. I also tried to not take them to the vet for the same reason, but almost did. I thought "they've vomited before and survived it ok".

Now that I know this is like poison I would have taken them. They did not get baths or **. I will say no sores or redness seem to be on them. They have had bath since then. The only reason I even found out was because of my own flea bites. They are not scratching but we surely will be going back to our Frontline Plus next month. I have to thank the numerous reviews here and elsewhere or we may have continued to use the other doses. I will report this and report it to my vet.

Flea Collar - We bought this for my two cats and immediately one of them started itching like crazy. His whole neck and down his back is balding. He has marks all over him from scratching and I'm pretty sure he has more fleas than he started with. This product is dangerous, it shouldn't even be on the market. Please, do not use this on your pets!!

As many other unhappy pet parent reviews on here, I wish I had seen this sooner. This product is poison. My dog was also acting weird with it, lost his appetite and was not his normal self. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough with getting him help and this ended up killing him. He was fine and healthy before I put this on him. Please don't even risk hurting your pet that can't speak and tell you what they're feeling or going through. I feel guilty for giving him this dose of poison but this company should just take this off the shelves. I got this from Costco. PLEASE DON'T USE IT. This mourning dog parent is urging you to not use this on your babies.

This product was sold to me at Petsmart. I have a very healthy male boxer 6 yrs old. We put this on our dog to protect him and this did the absolute opposite. I thought my dog was dying. Almost immediately after applying he started spasm, crying, very unstable on his feet, foaming from the mouth. It was awful. Very sensitive to the touch. I washed it off twice and he still isn't right. This is poison. How many people have to report this company before you take action and ban this. It's a dangerous product. It's cruel to allow any other dogs to suffer like my dog and my family did. Petsmart should stop selling this product. My dog has not eaten, has trouble walking and is not the same dog. He can't go up and down stairs without help. This is insane. Please don't use this on your dog. Please take it off the market.

Please do not try this product, it is dangerous. I wish I had found these reviews before I bought this at Petsmart. My dog had a bad reaction. He was doing severe fly biting, which some think are actual seizures. He also had really red spots on parts of his body. Sometimes he would moan as if he was in pain. I gave in baths and they did not seem to help. I call Sentry and the medical person told me that if would not cause any neurological problems, which fly biting seems to be.

She said it would only travel on the surface of the skin, ya sure! I asked her why were some pets die from using this and was told she knew of no pets dying from using the product. I then talk to one of the customer reps and he told me that the company reads all of the complaints and determine from that about whether to leave it on the market. I really think they should remove it if it is causing so much harm. I had to leave a star but they deserve a zero. Please do not put this on your pet.

I cannot believe this product is still on the market and PetSmart is selling it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to read reviews first but I applied the flea medicine on my yellow lab and within hours his back legs and mouth were twitching so bad. He was breathing heavy and nervous. I didn't know what was wrong until I read about Sentry's side effects and found other people's pets experiencing the same symptoms. I felt so bad for my dog. I ended up having to give him Benadryl and baths with liquid Dawn and the symptoms subsided thankfully. Never again. I cannot believe terrible product exists.

Sentry Pet Products Company Profile