1.06/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

651 Sentry Pet Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My girlfriend had gone to PetSmart to get our 5yr old cat flea medicine and the employee that helped my girlfriend told her to get Sentry instead of Frontline and that it was an amazing product so she applied it to our cat and over the last few days our cat is completely different. She's losing chunks of fur where the flea medication was put. Her skin looks red and like it’s burning and she refuses to come near anyone of us now. We looked online to see if anyone else had any problems and so far we have not found a single good review about this product. If you love or care about your animals do not try this product and make the same mistake we and countless others have made.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased this product attempting a cheaper temp solution to a flea problem before our scheduled grooming appointment. I put this product on him in the afternoon and went to work the next morning, upon returning home I could clearly see he was in discomfort. He was whimpering and could not sit for any amount of time. I attempted to wash the product off with Dawn but this doesn’t seem to helping. I gave him an anti-inflammatory and put aloe on the irritated area, he was able to sleep for a while but this needs to be done every 4-5 hours. Let’s just say I’m sleepy and frustrated that this product is even still on the market after see all of these reviews. I wish I would have seen this before I bought it.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Applied Sentry Pro XFT Flea and Tick on my 4 year old labradoodle. Within an hour she was in severe pain. The product burned her skin. I gave her a bath with Dawn dish detergent but that didn't really work. Her head kept snapping back trying to deal with the pain. We could not touch her back and neck for days because of the pain. She started to improve by the third day. Eight days later and she is doing better. For the first few days we gave her **, it helped her sleep. If you are reading this before you buy the product, I urge you NOT to apply this to your doggie. I wish I would have read the reviews before I applied this poison, it was horrible to see our doodle in so much pain.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We bought this product for our large dogs and also for our medium/small size dog, according to weight. All three of our dogs have suffered from horrific allergic reactions. Excessive scratching, coughing, wheezing, panting, lethargy and neurological-type symptoms. It was only after this experience that I started doing research about this product, only to find that these reactions and symptoms are the norm, not the exception. Don't repeat my mistake and buy the cheap crap. Check with your vet first.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I purchased Sentry flea and tick medication for my two cats today. I have a 15 year old tabby and 1 year old baby who is 4 pounds. Upon putting the medication on my older cat he seemed fine and I waited for 30 minutes and watched to ensure he didn't try cleaning himself. Then I put it on my little girl and she immediately started freaking out running around the house and scratching excessively where I put the medication. She then hid under the bed and that scared me, because she was scratching and licking and I was worried that she got some on her paw and was being poisoned.

I found this site and many more explaining horrible reactions to this medication. I immediately bathed them both and am keeping an eye on them. My little girl is drooling a little and isn't acting like her normal self. I called the vet and she said keep them hydrated and watch them overnight. I'm so angry. I've submitted a complaint to PetSmart, one for selling it and two, to have removed it from their shelves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

Original review: July 26, 2018

A week ago I purchased a 2 collars for twelve month protection by Sentry Flea & Tick Collar for large dogs. I have to say I am very disappointed in this product. My lab/mix dog had started with fleas so I decided to try this product out. Instead of fleas disappearing my dog has more fleas. It does not matter how much I comb her out, the fleas keeping coming back. I spent $39.99 plus tax for this purchase. I have just ordered from another company, I used last year, that is costing me more money due to failure of Sentry Flea and Tick Collar. I would recommend that this product is tested better. I wish I had read reviews before I bought it.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought the flea and tick collars for my 2 small dogs. Before I put them on I gave each a bath and checked them and all was ok. So I put the collars on them with the summer coming to be ahead of the flea season and I had taken them to the groomer and found out both dogs are loaded with fleas. I am very disappointed in this product. I gave both dogs a flea bath tonight and then I am hoping I can find a groomer that will help to get rid of these things. My dogs only go out for the bathroom and then back in. Now my house, must be fumed.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I bought Sentry Pro Flea & Tick Squeeze On for dogs for the proper body weight. Within 15 minutes my dog started running around and panting hard. She seemed to be very uncomfortable and rubbed her rump against everything like something was biting her. She’s whimpering. She couldn’t stay still and hasn’t had a nap in seven hours. I keep picking her up to hold her and her heart is pounding and her breathing is labored. I’m going to bathe her to see if I can get the stuff off her fur. I will never buy anything made by this company again. This product is made by Sergeant's Pet Care Products, Inc. I’m going to see if Petsmart in Norman, OK will give me a refund.

Original review: July 10, 2018

LOOKING FOR A LAWYER WHO WILL TAKE ON SENTRY IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! I purchased the Sentry Pro XFT for our 103 lb. lab "Marley" on June 29, 2018. On 7/2/18 I administered it to Marley per instructions by parting the fur down his back about 2 inches down from his neck. The next morning when I came downstairs, I noticed a little bit of pink on the back of his neck showing through his fur. For the next several days he became listless and was continuously breathing harder. He spent most of his time lying on the floor and it often looked like he was fading. On Thursday 7/5/2018, I called. I set up a vet appt. for earliest time on 7/6/18. When the vet noticed the red spot shining thru his thick fur, she shaved him and when I saw him, I was horrified, disgusted, and scared. He had a blistering rash that was oozing, bleeding, and spread like wildfire. She put him on ** and antibiotics.

That same day I hugged Marley at one point (before vet appt. in afternoon) and a few hours later out of thin air, I had the most horrific allergy attack I've ever experienced. My eyes started itching uncontrollably. My eyelids thickened and became swollen. I had to take my contacts out. By evening my right eye was totally swollen shut and lasted over 24 hours. I had a rash underneath my shirt on my chest/stomach area. Also I had spots on the inside of my right arm; all places that had been in contact with the dog. It wasn't until 2nd dose of ** was in Marley (7/7/18) that the spread of the rash began to stop spreading. On 7/7/18, I also went back to talk to the manager(s) at PetSmart in Raleigh, NC. (I had gotten my money back the night before, but there was no manager on duty that night).

So I showed them the photos in their office and I told them the only thing I truly wanted was for them to IMMEDIATELY remove the products from their shelves which they claimed they would do that day. (I plan to check this weekend). I have opened a case with Sentry. I would like my vet bill paid for. But what I want more than anything in the world is for this product to be REMOVED from the market. I've since done research and seen all the horrible photos of pets with rashes exactly like Marley and worse. I've read about all the people whose beloved cat or dogs died within hours or a few days of having had Sentry products applied to their skin. It truly is heartbreaking. And the five days Marley was on the floor were terrifying.

He truly seemed to be fading at times. His ears had uncontrollable and involuntary twitching. He hides and sulks in corners now. He won't get on the couch with us anymore (he is allowed this as we have old couches) and hides as if he's a "bad dog" for having a rash. It's really sad to see the dog avoiding socialization now. I would like this product removed from the market for several reasons: 1. It's harmful or fatal to pets. (The smaller pets seem to fare far worse). The labels even say fatal to cats. But the writing is small. And consumers often don't understand massive amounts of instructions on a very small box.

2. It's dangerous to humans. Have there been incidents of babies or small children being harmed? Would people with sick children even connect the dots? I'm thinking of families who allow babies or toddlers or small kids to roll around the floor with their beloved dog, pet and smooch all over the cat, etc., not knowing. 3. The active ingredient cyphenothrin is a synthetic pyrethroid that is a neurotoxin to ticks and fleas. In small doses, it excites their nervous systems. In high doses it paralyzes them and they die. Well guess what? That's what happens to the pets as well. Since it's a transdermal application, it gets in the bloodstream and for some pets, they have severe, even fatal reactions.

4. The vast number of pets harmed or killed can EASILY BE found online. I have already started an online folder of documented injuries/deaths as well as contacts of victims for any attorney who takes this class action lawsuit to assist with research. 5. Perrigo, the parent company of Sentry needs to OWN the responsibility for this as their core values state online say they are a company of integrity; doing what is right and accepting responsibility; holding ourselves accountable for our actions.

Finally, let me add I would rather see the product pulled off the market forever than receive financial compensation. However, those that have experienced vet bills, or worse...the trauma of losing a beloved family member simply because they were trying to be responsible, loving, pet owners deserve profound compensation for pain and suffering. Can you imagine the guilt you feel when you see your family member/pet suffer because YOU did not understand the risks of such a dangerous product? You thought you were being loving and trying to help rid them of fleas. Instead you killed or harmed them! It's horrible!

Lastly: When I spoke to manager at PetSmart, they were kind enough to give me back the Sentry Pro XFT that I had returned the night before. (There were 2 vials left). They are unopened and I would love to have them tested for toxicity levels. Even when I called Sentry on the weekend the first time, the lady with their answering service said I may have gotten a bad batch, and perhaps this vial was more "concentrate". That made total sense and perhaps is a possibility. This is long enough. Let the photos speak for themselves and if any law firm would be willing to take the case, you will be doing a favor for all the unsuspecting pet owners across America who buy this product every day NOT knowing the dangerous risks they are about to take with their pet.

I don't want to see more testing done with this product and thereby jeopardizing other animals. I want it removed from the market!!! Alternative/cheaper/organic solutions exist that would not interfere with profitability. I pray others will see this and think twice before applying chemical neurotoxins found in (also endocrine disruptors in people) to their family pet. Most of the brands have complaints, but Sentry and Hartz seem to have a ton!

Original review: June 27, 2018

My son bought this product from Petsmart where he is also an employee. My dog is a one year old Border Collie. It’s 3 am and we put the product on him at 2 pm yesterday. He started having a reaction within 30 min. I gave him 2 baths. He is restless, can’t sleep, breathing heavy, scratching. It’s sad to watch. Waiting for the vet to open at 7:30. We should have read the reviews because my dog is experiencing the same as all the reviews. Don’t use this product. I will have my son talk to management. This product shouldn’t be sold.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I used Sentry flea and tick on my cat and it burnt her in 2 spots and she lost hair all around the burns. It all happened within a few hours. I tried to wash off but the damage was already done. Picture doesn’t do it justice. DO NOT use this product! I didn’t know the bad reviews when I bought it. It should be taken off the market.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I purchased this product over this past weekend and applied it to my 5 year Beabull around 11pm. By 1am my Beabull was crying, whimpering, barking (which is NOT like him at ALL), when I opened his crate to see what was wrong his eyes were red and watery, he was panting, couldn't get enough water to drink and wanted to go outside to urinate (which again is NOT like him at ALL), he continued to do this almost hourly until I googled Sentry Pro XFT to see the reviews... I was shocked... He was doing EXACTLY what the most recent reviews described their animals were doing once they applied this HORRIBLE treatment to them. I immediately placed my dog in the tub and washed him very carefully with oatmeal shampoo and he was crying and panting. I made sure that I washed extremely good near the application site and kept rinsing with cool water.

This Sentry Pro XFT was applied to my Beabull at 11pm and again by 1am he was having the WORST reaction to this (this was the only thing that was different I did during our night time routine). He was up panting, whimpering, crying, barking and rolling around almost every hour (1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am) until I put him in the tub around 6am and scrubbed him the best I could to remove this HORRIBLE Sentry Pro XFT treatment from him... I wish I had read these reviews prior to my purchase.

I will NEVER purchase this again and I will contact Sentry Pro to let them know that this product should be BANNED as well as my local Petsmart to REMOVE it from their shelves. I feel heartbroken knowing that I'm the one who caused my little fur-baby Beabull all of this harm, irritation and discomfort... Never again... If you see this and are tempted to purchase it, PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE SENTRY PRO XFT at all... It's pure POISON and your pet will THANK YOU that you didn't.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Sentry Fiproguard Plus for dogs is not what it says it is. My dogs are small and very seldom outside except to use the bathroom. I have had to still give them baths regular for fleas and still pulling ticks off of them. I have used this for two weeks and it is expensive when it doesn't help. You would think at least for a week or more. But, no the first night no scratching since then it has been on. I will not buy this again. And I should be given my money back. I would never suggest anyone buy this. It is a waste of your money and does not help your dogs.

Original review: June 10, 2018

After application of product per instructions a healthy 2 year old dog began panting, pacing, trying to drink and couldn't. After this I rushed Shadow into the shower to decontaminate using Dawn and long rinse with fresh water. I went to google M.S.D.S "material data safety sheet" and there are so many unknowns on these chemicals. I was astounded. Even after this she had trouble getting upstairs... we will monitor her health thru the night. This is another clear case of negligence.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I bought Sentry Pro XFT Flea and Tick treatment. During next couple of hours after application my dog started running all over the house, feeling not himself, itching, rolling on the floor. I decided to read the reviews and to my horror all the symptoms of this poison! I gave him two baths right away with a lots of water on the spots of the treatment application. Dog still isn't feeling well. I bought this poison in Petco. I can't believe that store selling this poison! If something happens to my dog, I definitely take a lawyer to sue both, Sentry Pro and Petco.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Sentry a pro dog flea and tick squeeze on - Shortly after applying the product my 1 Yr old husky last evening she started scratching running around jumping and rolling around. Today I gave her a 25mg ** and washed the area with dish soap then dawn. Seems a little better but she is still not back to normal. Do not use this product! Shame on me. I bought it because it was cheaper than others and didn't read reviews first.

Original review: May 31, 2018

2 hours after I put the Sentry dog flea & tick collar on her my dog was possessed-drugged-unable to control-sweating-itchy-chewing herself-and running at her whole head-eyes watery. It's been 5 days and she isn't crazy but still itching. Lord. Worst experience of life.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I used this product and within 2 hrs my dog was itching and miserable. He was shaking and restless. Like he was on fire. Bathed him with Dawn as I saw in reviews but what helped most was a TON of water to neutralize the chemical. I mean LOTS. Like irrigating eyes wtc. Water and lots of it is key. Then gave ** on him. Finally he could sleep. I won't use this product again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Sentry Pro Flea & Tick Squeeze-on for dogs - My lab had a terrible reaction to this product - itching, drooling, pacing, shaking. We washed it off within a few hours. He is still not himself. How is the product still on the market. DANGEROUS.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I bought my Sentry Flea and Tick collar from yesterday. Put it on my Chihuahua last night and within a few hours her eyes started swelling shut, ears turning red, and her breathing became rapid and very heavy. I took the collar off as soon as I realized what was going on and bathed her. We went to the vet today and she has had a severe allergic reaction to the collar. She is now dry heaving, won't eat or drink anything, and her breathing is still heavy, but has now turned into labored breathing. I am a wreck for my fur baby. I beg of you please stay away from this product. I don't know what is in it or on it, but I am worried it is about to kill my dog. I wish I could upload a video to show everyone how horrible and painful this is for my angel.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a 9 year old Shih Tzu, whom I used the flea and tick collar on. She wore it for about 12 hours, and had horrible reactions from it. She could not get settled that night. I removed the collar, and she continued to pace, drink tons of water, and when she tried to lie down, she kept jerking terribly. I left her out at least seven times during the night. Horrible night!! This product should be taken off the market! I had given the other collar to my friend for her dog (there were two in the canister.) Her dog had the same reactions! Please people, do not use these collars! I feel horrible that I put my poor pet through all the misery!! She seems okay now, but it could have killed her!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Sentry Pro XFT - I can't even begin to explain how horrible this product is! My poor baby. I have 2 dogs, a boxer that weighs about 80 pounds, I used the 61 and over within hours he started to seize. Drooling...can't walk...very unsettled. Bathed him in dawn to get it off. 3 days later and tons of calls to the vet and ** and pain meds. He still isn't right. I can't even pet him without his muscles tremoring. He doesn't eat, sleep or rest. He still can't walk. My other dog is a husky. She lost her hair! I have been calling the company and am getting nowhere. I will seek a lawyer. This product needs pulled! And they need to pay my vet bill. Please do not use this product. This is heartbreaking to see.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I just put this on my boys last night, and notice this morning that they both of a ton of fur all over their sleeping areas. That's when I noticed one has blood on his nape of his neck and the other boy has a ton of missing fur as well, and vomited. Praying his doesn't turn bloody too. My husband and I hurried and gave them both bathes trying to scrub the stuff off the necks??? They HATE Bath WATER. Husband has 3 large scratches I only suffered one. :...( My poor boys hate us at the moment :((((. I'm so upset. My boys are Maine Coons so they are huge. This is my first time using this product. I typically use Sentry Fiproguard, but this new one had anti mosquito stuff. We live in Louisiana and I don't want them to get West Nile or something so I changed it, worst mistake ever??? I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

As I write this I am crying knowing that I gave my sweet little Chihuahua this terrible flea product. She vomited 14 times last night and now is twitching and scratching. I have given her 4 baths and took her to the vet. Vet only said was probably having a reaction and to wash her with Dawn. I didn’t tell the vet which product I used because I thought with the ** and the bath it would go away. It has not. She can only sit for a few seconds without twitching. I am so worried after all of the reviews. What the hell is it that this is still on the market. I am so afraid we are going to lose her. She was my son’s Christmas present. She is even biting her foot. She seems so agitated. She has not peed nor pooped in many hours. Please someone tell me what to do!!!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I gave the Sentry flea treatment to my dog a couple of days ago and didn't think much of it. It began losing hair, but he is a husky and blowing his coat but then we notice it coming out in clumps and upon inspection, the areas I applied the treatment were brown and large clumps of hair were coming out. He also has diarrhea. We have washed the area and we are taking him to PetSmart, where we bought the product to give him a bath and hear their recommendations. We used to use Advantage and never had a problem. Please DO NOT use this product!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Have used for 3 years - I have a colony of 6 feral cats in a protected wilderness area on Staten Island, NY. Spring thru late autumn, fleas are terrible & I must provide protection for my gang. I used to use a broad-spectrum, prescription-only medicine that got rid of fleas, ear mites, & worms, but not ticks. A couple years ago, the deer population boomed & we got ticks. My vet recommended Frontline, but the ingredients in Sentry Fiproguard plus are identical and at a price often half as much, an important consideration for me with multiple cats. It is important, critical even, to apply ANY of these medications with great, great care -- even on a wiggling, crying feral cat -- as they are basically insecticides. They absolutely MUST be applied at the lower neck between the shoulder blades where the cat cannot paw or lick, and to part the fur & get the drops on skin at the base of the fur so it can spread & dilute.

I have used Sentry Fiproguard Plus on cats as young as 2 and as old as 9, weighing as little as 7 lbs. and as much as 20 lbs. I always observe them after I apply the drops. I have never, ever had a negative reaction or side effects of any kind. And the stuff works. No scratching, no ticks -- or rather, ticks who drop by & dig in pull out fast. By the end of the 30 days, the Fip+ is weakened & more meds must be applied. But as I say, the area where my colony site is located is a wilderness and would put any vermin preventative to the test.

The Sentry Fiproguard Plus has performed quite well for me. The price points make it appealing to me but as I said earlier, this Sentry product is identical in content to a more recognizable national brand name. The lower price does not indicate that it is cheap & cut rate. Rather, it is comparable to buying a generic over a brand name drug. I've used some other Sentry products over the years and by & large have been very satisfied with the results.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Sentry flea treatment is dangerous - I gave my 6 year-old cat Sentry flea treatment. The product smelled like Listerine. The quantity was way too much for a single dose. She licked some of the product, began foaming at the mouth, then threw up. Within a short period of time, she began exhibiting extreme behavioral changes. Approximately four months after I treated her with the product, my otherwise healthy cat died of what I was told was likely a stroke. Do not buy this product!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I bought Sentry flea dip for dogs and the expiration date is still over a year out. I have had the product in the cupboard for about 6 months. We went to Florida with our 14 lb Havanese and she contracted fleas there. I bathed her in flea shampoo and still saw some bugs on her so I tried the dip. It was curdled white like spoiled milk when I poured it out into the water. Couldn't be any good for killing anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

USED THIS ON MY 2 YEAR OLD CAT AND IT MAY KILL HIM. I have over 900.00 in vet bills and after 3 days he still is having major problems. I put Sentry cat flea medication on him Monday morning, by Monday evening he was at the vet with tremors. This am he wet himself all over me and my bed. I believe this product should be pulled from the market.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I put Sentry for cats on my two 14 year old cats. The next day one of my cats started meowing incessantly and looked like she was having balance issues. She was howling and could not stop drinking water. The other cat just hid. I noticed and felt a greasy film of the flea medication that had spread across the back and when they groomed I'm sure they were ingesting it. I gave each of them a bath and used baby shampoo. They were not happy with the bath but I'm not smelling it on them now. I'm hoping the symptoms are going to vanish. This is very upsetting. This stuff should be off the market.

Sentry Pet Products Company Information

www.sentrypetcare.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business