3.70/5

697 Sentry Pet Products Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

I visited my local tractor supply and bought the cat flea three month supply of this product. A few days later my perfectly healthy one year old cat died. I even bought the pack that was recommended for cats 3-5 pounds and she was seven. This product didn't even kill the fleas, just my cat. Please for the love of God, DO NOT buy this product. Please do research before you put any flea medication on your cat. I cannot help, but to feel responsible for my cat's death. This product needs to be taken off the market.

Original review: July 11, 2019

The hair is missing from the spots I put the liquid and I followed as instructed. The spots are bright red and irritated. My poor dog, I will never buy cheap flea and tick medication again. SHAME ON YOU SENTRY. Zero Stars.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2019

This product dog flea collars was a total waste of money. They have been on my dogs for 60 hours. I can still see fleas on both of the dogs. I don't see how you can sell a product and make all these claims and your products not work at all. I wish I had my money back!!! Will never purchase your products again and I will tell everyone I talk to about how they do not work.

Original review: June 14, 2019

This product is horrible. Put the collar on my 75 lb mix breed dog and he is still itching from fleas and I pick ticks off of him daily. I even found a tick directly underneath the collar! This product is a complete waste of money, time and effort.

Original review: June 11, 2019

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Within 30 minutes of application, my 50lb husky mix was clearly agitated and couldn't stop panting or pacing. I looked up reviews online and quickly found that this was a common occurrence. My dog's skin was red, his heart was racing, and he couldn't sit still for more than seconds at a time. Three baths with Dawn soap and 7 restless hours later, he's feeling a bit better but still biting at his back. I will never, ever use this again and hope that the product is removed soon. So many of these terrible reviews are masked by a decent star rating, and honestly, I have no idea how.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

Original review: June 10, 2019

While visiting my local TSC store I spoke with a sales rep about the Sentry flea and tick collars. Not much help. I decided to purchase a pkg of 2 large collars at $39.98 plus tax. We are not pleased with our purchase, upon opening the collars were very powdery. Once fastened to our dogs they continued to shift/coil. After almost 2 weeks both of our dogs continue to scratch for fleas and we have removed several ticks. I would not recommend this product and say go ahead and spend extra $$ on a better product. Would love my $$ back.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Anyone have any idea how to find/decipher expiration code, if it even exists, on this product? Just a guess at this point - It's probably a masked number, so in the other number, 1056k11, the 105 is probably 105th day on Julian calendar, April 15th. The year? Not sure, guessing 2019 - call the folks at 800-224-7387. Make sure you tell them how idiotic this expiration posting method is, especially as it pertains to the well-being of your beloved pet. You don't see this see this type of encrypted expiration date on human consumption items, why for pets?

Original review: June 6, 2019

I put this on my 16 pound very healthy 9 year old cat. 4 days later she had to be down for neurological issues. I 100% blame this stuff. It’s poison and should not be on the shelves. I am heartbroken and beyond words.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I purchased the Sentry PurrScriptions Plus and in short, my precious furbaby is now gone. I so wish I would have read the reviews prior to purchase and my furbaby may still be here! I can't prove that's what it was, but that was the only thing different (and very coincidental) for my previously healthy 4 year old Siamese. This product NEEDS TO BE PULLED OFF THE SHELVES!!!!

Original review: May 29, 2019

Bought the ointment for our two white shepherds and put in their neck and back as instructed. Problem is... it doesn’t work. After three weeks, our outside dogs are covered with ticks every day. Female sleeps on porch and everyday there are one or two fully engorged ticks that drop off her onto porch. Of course we have stepped on them by mistake and tracked into house. Both dogs regularly have ticks on their eyes and face. Pretty crappy product!!! Never buy again!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I wish I could have reviewed this product in the store before purchase. I bought the indoor formula for 2 of our cats and another regular formula for our other cat. Within 30 mins. of applying the drops we had to bathe all three cats. They were drooling and acting very strange. My outdoor cat was scratching at the area and trying to hide. This is a horrible product and I am returning to the pet store today to attempt to get them to pull it from their shelves. I'm so glad I bought a different product for our dog so she wasn't harmed. Do not buy this product for your pets.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I apply this to my dog on 5/3/19 and within 24 hours his skin was on fire and burning uncontrollably. He was whining and running through the house pacing and panting. His skin was bright red. I gave him three baths using Dawn dish detergent which still didn’t stop the burning. I placed aloe on the burn spots. I gave him something to help him sleep. At this point nothing is working. He is pacing uncontrollably! This is a HORRIBLE PRODUCT!!!! My dog is suffering!!!! NEVER BUY THIS!!!!

Original review: April 19, 2019

This was our first time buying flea and tick meds from the store and not the vet, worst mistake I could have made! The next day after applying the topical treatment my 16 month old Blue Pit starting itching so badly that he is balding in spots! He won't play, go outside or even sleep. A very playful and energetic puppy is now depressed looking and has no motivation to do anything! Worst product, sad thing is I always look at reviews and this time because I didn't my baby is suffering! ZERO stars, apparently it's mandatory that I put at least one. This company should be ashamed!

Original review: April 1, 2019

This product caused my cat 3 burns on her neck. If I knew this product was not accredited I would not have bought it. I was advised not to buy certain product from my vet so I steered clear of that product. I purchased Sentry dual collar from a respectable pet store. They need to pull this product out of store shelves. With all the complaints I wish I reviewed Sentry before putting the collar on my cat. I feel so bad for her; not knowing she was suffering.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Well I always used a flea collar on my stray cat I adopted into my home. Gave him a bath and then put Sentry flea and tick product on him as preventative. I did it correctly but it just wouldnt dry. The next day still not dry and cat was itching...hair was falling out. I washed off remaining product that was wet on his fur. Been over a week and scabs on neck, dry skin, and what looks like discoloration (yellow) of skin. It is as if it burned my baby. This cat did better outside than in my car. First time cat owner and feel bad for my Mischa. Will never again use any of these products. Hope one is more smart than me and reads reviews before using. Sorry for everyone's lose due to this chemical. God bless those innocent animals. This company should be banned.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This product caused my cat's skin to turn red by the end of the first day. Within a day or two he was scratching and pulling out his hair. His face and ears were red. He stopped eating. I did my best to wash it off and gave him a small amount of ** that quieted the scratching. He has started eating small amounts again. He has hyperthyroidism so losing even a little weight is a big deal for him. I would never use this product again.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We recently had a foster puppy stay with us for a couple days. After he was adopted we found out he had fleas so, I purchased the Sentry Flea and Tic topical solution. Within 48 hours my 7 year old Husky had a severe seizure!!! We had to rush him to the vet. This is a normally very healthy dog who has never had a seizure before I used this horrible stuff. Never again!!! Do NOT use this!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I wish I had read other reviews before I had applied this to my new cat. Within days she had bald spots by application side and now big bumps that she keeps scratching!!! I bathed her already and it didn't seem to help at all, now she has to wear a cone and I have to get her to the vet... She is traumatized already enough.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought a three pack of Sentry Calming Collars and put one on a cat that I have that tends to be a little more nervous. I was hoping it would calm her. Within 3 to 4 days I noticed a gummy substance under her chin and neck. I took it off and bathed her and as horrified to see a 3 in bald spot on my cat's neck!!! It was oozing! It has dried up now but she is still bald there. I hope her fur grows back. I don't know what is in that collar but it definitely had a negative reaction with my baby! Thank God I noticed it and took it off.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Not only did this product not work but it seemed to actually make it worse. Seriously the worst product ever! I put this on my dog assuming it would work but now he has doubled in the amount of fleas and I am taking a trip to the vet to make sure it is safe to use a product that really works.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I bought this ahead of time to give to my dog. I applied it yesterday afternoon like I always do with flea meds. Within an hour she was acting “different” and it kept getting worse, itching, crying, panting, drooling. I immediately put her in the bath and washed it off well. I thought it did. The night got worse, crying, panting, twitching and never slept. I called the vet this morning and they recommended bringing her in however emergency fee applied. I washed her with Dawn 2 times and then conditioned her poor red hot skin. Gave her ** and we are finally sleeping! A NEVER EVER AGAIN will I use this. Found over 600+ reviews on the Consumer Affairs website that were all the same symptoms. Very sad to feel like you are buying a reputable product from a big company. Thank GOD my little guy didn’t appear to have this reaction. He had lethargy. Please pray for my rescue dog. My next step is the vet.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

ZERO STARS!!! Where can I report this product to authorities? FDA? SENTRY PRO XFT is a serious HAZARD!!! Not only for the pet, but for humans as well! To sum up: I have a 35lbs pug, he doesn’t have any fleas, I got the product as a monthly preventative. He has had previously about everything on the market as flea/tick prevention and he did very well on it! I saw this product in the store and decided to buy since it’s about twice less expensive than the other products! I WISH I HAD MADE A SMART DECISION AND GOT THE GOOD QUALITY PRODUCT!!!

I put the product on my pet around 5 pm, by 7 pm he was restless itchy uncontrollably, crying in agony (my dog is 8yrs old, I haven’t heard him crying since he was a puppy). I immediately put him in the bathtub and by 10 pm I had washed him 3 times!!!). By 11 pm my eyes were burning and I was nauseous and restless myself! The product had got into my system since I washed him with my bare hands!

I just spent the whole night up with my pet preventing him from stretching a wound open on his back, now the itching is not too severe, but he’s shaking uncontrollably, restless and he has vomited as well! Based on the other reviews of this product online. It’s safe to say that SENTY PRO MUST STOP BEING SOLD! THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Simply put the Sentry flea and tick gel application does not work. This will cause your pet to freak and itch even more. Worst product ever. Do not expect you or your dog to sleep for the next 48 hours. The company acknowledged this is a common occurrence and they still sell this product. The only recommendation they have is wash your dog with Dawn four times.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

This is the worse experience I've ever had with anything I've tried for fleas. I put it on as directed on the neck and the next 2 days my healthy 2 year old dog who is normally very calm and sleepy was very disturbed, acting unusual, whining and snapping her neck back trying to bite and scratch where the product was applied. The first day I thought it was just irritated but assumed it would be better but by the 2nd day it was clear she was in pain. I washed the area where it was applied, but it didn't seem to help much and she got worse. Long story short, I was up all night with her because she was in so much pain and had to massage her all night just to keep her from going nuts trying to bite her back.

As I was doing this I touched a damp area and smelled a strange smell and discovered the drops had chemically burned her skin and created an ulcer and swelling. She now has an open wound that needs to heal and I haven't slept all night. If you google this product you will see this is the NORM, not the exception for this product. It is clearly dangerous to pets and I cannot believe it's on the market and shame on them and PetSmart for even selling it. Some cats have even died from using the cat product on them, and 1 person said they'd be suing. Horrible, dangerous product. Even the fleas were better than this. My poor dog has suffered for days now and finally started to feel a bit better after multiple baths and vitamin E applied to the wound. Stay away from this stuff!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I bought Sentry Pro for my healthy and active 2-year old pug. I have never seen him so weak, sick and lethargic within 24 hours after we applied it to him. I was so scared that we were going to lose him. I should have read all these reviews first before I bought it. We were not able to sleep that night since our dog has been itching and was breathing hard and his back legs were stiff. I went online and researched what to do and the only thing I have recently applied or gave to the dog was this Sentry Pro and immediately, I saw all these reviews. I gave my dog a good bath and he has been better few hours since then. THIS PRODUCT SHOULD BE OFF THE MARKET!!! Something should be done please!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We put a Sentry calming collar on our 4 year old cat to help with anxiety and redirected aggression. He didn't mind the collar, but after one week of wearing it, he started to act up again, chasing the other cat and generally had increased energy. We noticed some redness near the collar where his white fur should be. The fur beneath the collar was completely gone and his skin was lightly burned (dark pink, light scabbing). One we removed the collar, he calmed down and slept most of the evening. Hopefully he heals okay and his fur grows back, but time will tell.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When my kitty was just a little over 12 weeks old, we noticed he had fleas. We went to our local pet store and was recommended to purchase the Natural Defense topical drops... spice scent... due to his age. Having used topical drops on our animals in the past, I didn't foresee any issues. Boy, that was a mistake. The moment I applied it, my poor baby literally looked like he was crawling out of his own skin. I bathed him in Dawn immediately soaking and finding several times before feeling safe enough to dry him off. I chalked it up to his age and figured I would try again in a couple months.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I tried again. This time, he was literally scrambling all over the place and started foaming at the mouth. I washed him very thoroughly in Dawn again and he improved drastically. I will NEVER use not recommend Sentry products ever again. I cannot even imagine what poor animals go thru prior to these products hitting the market. Sentry should be ashamed. I purchased a Seresto collar for him and it was worth every penny!! He doesn't mind it one but and no signs of fleas after 24 hours!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought over $70 worth of their product. Bought two flea and tick collars for my dogs (which I ended up throwing away due to making their skin raw) and flea and tick topical for my cats which had the same effect. Not happy one bit that I spent that much money and it did not work. Also it did not help with my flea problem at all, and they still have fleas.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We found a few fleas on our 16 year old Shih Tzu so I went to Petco. They highly recommended your shampoo. After following the direction as written on the back of the bottle my dog still had a flea alive while I was towel drying him off. So pick it off. The statement is it will kill fleas up to 10 days plus the oatmeal is to help stop the itch. This was on Friday 10-12-18. There was some redness to his skin and he was still digging himself so bad. I wash him again Sunday 10-14-18 just to follow up thinking that maybe missed one. At this time his skin looks like a major sunburn. His belly is raw and he licks himself and digs himself nonstop. Wakes himself up, starts digging. Why is there no warning that your product is more harm for your pet than the flea and if it is strong enough to burn the poor animal why does it not kill the fleas as stated. I hope the vet can help today. BIG waste of money. Not to mention my old buddy is so miserable.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My daughter noticed a couple of fleas on our indoor cat - so assuming our labradoodle brought them in the house I went to PetSmart and purchased Sentry flea treatment for BOTH my cats & dog. I applied to my dog about 3:15 pm and by 6:00 she was pacing, twitching, scratching, and labored breathing. I called an emergency vet & they said to bathe her in blue Dawn dish detergent. It is now 4:00 am and my dog STILL can’t settle down! She’s twitching, scratching, can’t fall asleep. After reading all the bad reviews on her about this product I am so mad at myself for not doing better research. I have unintentionally poisoned my dog and am worried about my cats too! I’m scared my dog is going to die!! They should recall this product and take it off the market IMMEDIATELY!!!

Sentry Pet Products Company Information