1.12/5

670 Sentry Pet Products Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I purchased this product over this past weekend and applied it to my 5 year Beabull around 11pm. By 1am my Beabull was crying, whimpering, barking (which is NOT like him at ALL), when I opened his crate to see what was wrong his eyes were red and watery, he was panting, couldn't get enough water to drink and wanted to go outside to urinate (which again is NOT like him at ALL), he continued to do this almost hourly until I googled Sentry Pro XFT to see the reviews... I was shocked... He was doing EXACTLY what the most recent reviews described their animals were doing once they applied this HORRIBLE treatment to them. I immediately placed my dog in the tub and washed him very carefully with oatmeal shampoo and he was crying and panting. I made sure that I washed extremely good near the application site and kept rinsing with cool water.

This Sentry Pro XFT was applied to my Beabull at 11pm and again by 1am he was having the WORST reaction to this (this was the only thing that was different I did during our night time routine). He was up panting, whimpering, crying, barking and rolling around almost every hour (1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am) until I put him in the tub around 6am and scrubbed him the best I could to remove this HORRIBLE Sentry Pro XFT treatment from him... I wish I had read these reviews prior to my purchase.

I will NEVER purchase this again and I will contact Sentry Pro to let them know that this product should be BANNED as well as my local Petsmart to REMOVE it from their shelves. I feel heartbroken knowing that I'm the one who caused my little fur-baby Beabull all of this harm, irritation and discomfort... Never again... If you see this and are tempted to purchase it, PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE SENTRY PRO XFT at all... It's pure POISON and your pet will THANK YOU that you didn't.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Sentry Fiproguard Plus for dogs is not what it says it is. My dogs are small and very seldom outside except to use the bathroom. I have had to still give them baths regular for fleas and still pulling ticks off of them. I have used this for two weeks and it is expensive when it doesn't help. You would think at least for a week or more. But, no the first night no scratching since then it has been on. I will not buy this again. And I should be given my money back. I would never suggest anyone buy this. It is a waste of your money and does not help your dogs.

Original review: June 10, 2018

After application of product per instructions a healthy 2 year old dog began panting, pacing, trying to drink and couldn't. After this I rushed Shadow into the shower to decontaminate using Dawn and long rinse with fresh water. I went to google M.S.D.S "material data safety sheet" and there are so many unknowns on these chemicals. I was astounded. Even after this she had trouble getting upstairs... we will monitor her health thru the night. This is another clear case of negligence.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I bought Sentry Pro XFT Flea and Tick treatment. During next couple of hours after application my dog started running all over the house, feeling not himself, itching, rolling on the floor. I decided to read the reviews and to my horror all the symptoms of this poison! I gave him two baths right away with a lots of water on the spots of the treatment application. Dog still isn't feeling well. I bought this poison in Petco. I can't believe that store selling this poison! If something happens to my dog, I definitely take a lawyer to sue both, Sentry Pro and Petco.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Sentry a pro dog flea and tick squeeze on - Shortly after applying the product my 1 Yr old husky last evening she started scratching running around jumping and rolling around. Today I gave her a 25mg ** and washed the area with dish soap then dawn. Seems a little better but she is still not back to normal. Do not use this product! Shame on me. I bought it because it was cheaper than others and didn't read reviews first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Pet Products?

Original review: May 31, 2018

2 hours after I put the Sentry dog flea & tick collar on her my dog was possessed-drugged-unable to control-sweating-itchy-chewing herself-and running at her whole head-eyes watery. It's been 5 days and she isn't crazy but still itching. Lord. Worst experience of life.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I used this product and within 2 hrs my dog was itching and miserable. He was shaking and restless. Like he was on fire. Bathed him with Dawn as I saw in reviews but what helped most was a TON of water to neutralize the chemical. I mean LOTS. Like irrigating eyes wtc. Water and lots of it is key. Then gave ** on him. Finally he could sleep. I won't use this product again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Sentry Pro Flea & Tick Squeeze-on for dogs - My lab had a terrible reaction to this product - itching, drooling, pacing, shaking. We washed it off within a few hours. He is still not himself. How is the product still on the market. DANGEROUS.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I bought my Sentry Flea and Tick collar from yesterday. Put it on my Chihuahua last night and within a few hours her eyes started swelling shut, ears turning red, and her breathing became rapid and very heavy. I took the collar off as soon as I realized what was going on and bathed her. We went to the vet today and she has had a severe allergic reaction to the collar. She is now dry heaving, won't eat or drink anything, and her breathing is still heavy, but has now turned into labored breathing. I am a wreck for my fur baby. I beg of you please stay away from this product. I don't know what is in it or on it, but I am worried it is about to kill my dog. I wish I could upload a video to show everyone how horrible and painful this is for my angel.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a 9 year old Shih Tzu, whom I used the flea and tick collar on. She wore it for about 12 hours, and had horrible reactions from it. She could not get settled that night. I removed the collar, and she continued to pace, drink tons of water, and when she tried to lie down, she kept jerking terribly. I left her out at least seven times during the night. Horrible night!! This product should be taken off the market! I had given the other collar to my friend for her dog (there were two in the canister.) Her dog had the same reactions! Please people, do not use these collars! I feel horrible that I put my poor pet through all the misery!! She seems okay now, but it could have killed her!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Sentry Pro XFT - I can't even begin to explain how horrible this product is! My poor baby. I have 2 dogs, a boxer that weighs about 80 pounds, I used the 61 and over within hours he started to seize. Drooling...can't walk...very unsettled. Bathed him in dawn to get it off. 3 days later and tons of calls to the vet and ** and pain meds. He still isn't right. I can't even pet him without his muscles tremoring. He doesn't eat, sleep or rest. He still can't walk. My other dog is a husky. She lost her hair! I have been calling the company and am getting nowhere. I will seek a lawyer. This product needs pulled! And they need to pay my vet bill. Please do not use this product. This is heartbreaking to see.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I just put this on my boys last night, and notice this morning that they both of a ton of fur all over their sleeping areas. That's when I noticed one has blood on his nape of his neck and the other boy has a ton of missing fur as well, and vomited. Praying his doesn't turn bloody too. My husband and I hurried and gave them both bathes trying to scrub the stuff off the necks??? They HATE Bath WATER. Husband has 3 large scratches I only suffered one. :...( My poor boys hate us at the moment :((((. I'm so upset. My boys are Maine Coons so they are huge. This is my first time using this product. I typically use Sentry Fiproguard, but this new one had anti mosquito stuff. We live in Louisiana and I don't want them to get West Nile or something so I changed it, worst mistake ever??? I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

As I write this I am crying knowing that I gave my sweet little Chihuahua this terrible flea product. She vomited 14 times last night and now is twitching and scratching. I have given her 4 baths and took her to the vet. Vet only said was probably having a reaction and to wash her with Dawn. I didn’t tell the vet which product I used because I thought with the ** and the bath it would go away. It has not. She can only sit for a few seconds without twitching. I am so worried after all of the reviews. What the hell is it that this is still on the market. I am so afraid we are going to lose her. She was my son’s Christmas present. She is even biting her foot. She seems so agitated. She has not peed nor pooped in many hours. Please someone tell me what to do!!!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I gave the Sentry flea treatment to my dog a couple of days ago and didn't think much of it. It began losing hair, but he is a husky and blowing his coat but then we notice it coming out in clumps and upon inspection, the areas I applied the treatment were brown and large clumps of hair were coming out. He also has diarrhea. We have washed the area and we are taking him to PetSmart, where we bought the product to give him a bath and hear their recommendations. We used to use Advantage and never had a problem. Please DO NOT use this product!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Have used for 3 years - I have a colony of 6 feral cats in a protected wilderness area on Staten Island, NY. Spring thru late autumn, fleas are terrible & I must provide protection for my gang. I used to use a broad-spectrum, prescription-only medicine that got rid of fleas, ear mites, & worms, but not ticks. A couple years ago, the deer population boomed & we got ticks. My vet recommended Frontline, but the ingredients in Sentry Fiproguard plus are identical and at a price often half as much, an important consideration for me with multiple cats. It is important, critical even, to apply ANY of these medications with great, great care -- even on a wiggling, crying feral cat -- as they are basically insecticides. They absolutely MUST be applied at the lower neck between the shoulder blades where the cat cannot paw or lick, and to part the fur & get the drops on skin at the base of the fur so it can spread & dilute.

I have used Sentry Fiproguard Plus on cats as young as 2 and as old as 9, weighing as little as 7 lbs. and as much as 20 lbs. I always observe them after I apply the drops. I have never, ever had a negative reaction or side effects of any kind. And the stuff works. No scratching, no ticks -- or rather, ticks who drop by & dig in pull out fast. By the end of the 30 days, the Fip+ is weakened & more meds must be applied. But as I say, the area where my colony site is located is a wilderness and would put any vermin preventative to the test.

The Sentry Fiproguard Plus has performed quite well for me. The price points make it appealing to me but as I said earlier, this Sentry product is identical in content to a more recognizable national brand name. The lower price does not indicate that it is cheap & cut rate. Rather, it is comparable to buying a generic over a brand name drug. I've used some other Sentry products over the years and by & large have been very satisfied with the results.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Sentry flea treatment is dangerous - I gave my 6 year-old cat Sentry flea treatment. The product smelled like Listerine. The quantity was way too much for a single dose. She licked some of the product, began foaming at the mouth, then threw up. Within a short period of time, she began exhibiting extreme behavioral changes. Approximately four months after I treated her with the product, my otherwise healthy cat died of what I was told was likely a stroke. Do not buy this product!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I bought Sentry flea dip for dogs and the expiration date is still over a year out. I have had the product in the cupboard for about 6 months. We went to Florida with our 14 lb Havanese and she contracted fleas there. I bathed her in flea shampoo and still saw some bugs on her so I tried the dip. It was curdled white like spoiled milk when I poured it out into the water. Couldn't be any good for killing anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

USED THIS ON MY 2 YEAR OLD CAT AND IT MAY KILL HIM. I have over 900.00 in vet bills and after 3 days he still is having major problems. I put Sentry cat flea medication on him Monday morning, by Monday evening he was at the vet with tremors. This am he wet himself all over me and my bed. I believe this product should be pulled from the market.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I put Sentry for cats on my two 14 year old cats. The next day one of my cats started meowing incessantly and looked like she was having balance issues. She was howling and could not stop drinking water. The other cat just hid. I noticed and felt a greasy film of the flea medication that had spread across the back and when they groomed I'm sure they were ingesting it. I gave each of them a bath and used baby shampoo. They were not happy with the bath but I'm not smelling it on them now. I'm hoping the symptoms are going to vanish. This is very upsetting. This stuff should be off the market.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought Sentry ear mite medication (Earmite free ear miticide for cats) to help treat ear mites in my kitty, hoping to avoid a vet visit. The drops caused her ears to become very red and hot to the touch. Some of the skin on the inside started peeling a little as well. It was obvious that she was in pain. She became very lethargic and nervous, hiding behind the couch giving off the most pitiful meows, and trembling whenever anyone would touch her. This was very worrisome since she's usually an active and extremely affectionate cat. When I saw what it was doing I stopped the treatment, bathed her right away to get it off, and took her to the local animal clinic.

This was a very hard lesson to learn about trying to medicate my fur baby at home. She did have ear mites as I expected, but also had an ear infection. Instead of taking her to the vet in the first place, I ended up hurting her by trying to use the Sentry product. She's now on medicine not only take care of the infection but also to try and fix the damage done by these awful ear drops. So far, she seems to be doing better... but after reading other reviews I am still a little scared.

I had attempted to post an honest review on Sentry's webpage. Nothing in the review was inappropriate... it simply stated what had happened. I didn't call the product horrible, and even made an exception that perhaps my cat was sensitive to the ingredients. So it surprised me that an hour later I received an email stating that company moderators had deleted it. The fact that this company deleted an honest review (I assume because it told the truth about what the "medication" could do) makes me very angry. I will NEVER buy any of their products again. I will also make sure everyone I know with fur babies avoids them as well.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The box on this product (Sentry Pro XFT) should have FAR clearer warnings about side effects. My Boxer is 90 lbs and I used the product for dogs 61 lbs or more and he still had a severe reaction. His entire body/muscles were spasming/tremoring for almost an entire week. He was treated with ** and the vet had to prescribe muscle relaxers and ** so he could finally sleep after the first 4 sleepless nights of tremoring and pacing my house. It was awful. Now we're 10 days in and he's ok, Thank God! But he's still very sensitive when you touch anywhere where the medicine was. His muscles just lock up when you touch that area. I have faith that will go away soon, but the stress for him was hell. Not to mention vet bills and worrying that I hurt my perfectly healthy dog.

Don't use! Also, if you unfortunately used it on your dog before reading this and/or have a dog having reactions, OR your cat gets anywhere near a dog that has the medicine on him, wash the pet VERY well with a de-greasing soap (Dawn or Palmolive). The box for the product says to use mild soap...but that will NOT remove the product. Both vets I saw AND animal poison control said you must wash with a de-greasing soap because it's an oil based product. I wish I knew this. Do this, and get your pet to the vet! If you're lucky enough to read this before use, DO NOT USE! Learn from my mistake. Ask your vet for a better and safer flea/tick product!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Sentry purrscriptions plus squeeze on for cats 5lbs - This product has given my 10 month old Bengal cat SEVERE muscle spasms and vertigo like symptoms with nearly zero appetite. She is hiding under the bed on the verge of a seizure. I am not a Vet, but I am a nurse and it seems as though my cat has developed severe neurological issues ever since I put this on her yesterday! I called the number on the box and they couldn't do anything for me except give me an apology along with a case number for future reference. Now after 3 baths with dawn, I have to go see my vet for a problem I shouldn't even have to begin with! This is by far the worst flea medication on the market and I cannot believe it is allowed to still be sold! If my pet makes it through this, I will be sure to do everything I can to advocate for the abolishment of this DEADLY poisonous product.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Kills cats. Do not buy this product!!! We bought it for our indoor cat and our outdoor cat... My indoor baby died from uncontrolled seizures from this medication - veterinarian diagnosed - and my outside cat had two seizures but came out of it... This is the worst experience I’ve ever had with a pet, I’ve had 9 cats and 11 dogs and I had to helplessly watch my precious baby seizure all night and then be out down... This product KILLS CATS, DO NOT BUY!!! I will post on every website I possibly can to get this taken off the shelf!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I used Sentry Fiproguard on my English Mastiff, not knowing it was a bad product, wish I had researched... so now I feel just horrible. He began scratching and chewy for two days. I couldn't stand watching my boy tremble due to pain and so very restless. I immediately gave him a bath when I realized I had put poison on my baby!!! After his bath he literally looked at me with a thank you face... he's much better now. We always use Frontline, during the holidays we were running ragged and my mother purchased the Sentry because they were out of Frontline. Biggest mistake!!! They should remove this product ASAP!!! Please don't comment on how I shouldn't have used this product without doing my research... I feel bad enough already. It's Frontline and all natural shampoo for now on!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I wish I would've read these reviews before my husband bought the Sentry Flea Powder. He followed the instructions on the container and about 30 minutes later, he was choking, throwing up, couldn't catch his breath. We had to call 911, he was pretty much poisoned. Thankfully he is ok and our dogs weren't down with him at the time. They even said it was safe for them to be around! Worst product EVER!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

If I could give this company negative stars I would, because they don't even deserve the one I HAVE to give them in order to write this review. I am in absolute horror as I sit here and read all of the stories about people either losing their pets or their pets suffering injury, pain and irreversible illnesses due to these products that are MARKED SAFE AND NATURAL! Below is a link to the first story I found regarding death after our cat became ill from SENTRY, that led me to here... **. Here is my story. My husband and I went to Petco to find a NATURAL flea treatment for our family's cat Skully, there is NO WAY we were going to KNOWINGLY put something toxic and harmful on our baby. We read all the instructions and ingredients on the products in the store and decided to go with the SENTRY Natural Defense flea and tick spray for cats because the ingredients on the bottle were natural oils like peppermint oil and cinnamon oil.

With ingredients like that it has to be safe right? WRONG! Almost IMMEDIATELY after applying this spray to our cat she began foaming at the mouth and crying...acting weird and hiding. The being a little upset I could understand, she's a cat and we just sprayed her down with something. But the foaming? That scared me, so I IMMEDIATELY called the 800 number on the bottle, the lady on the other end took all my info and our cats info and even gave me a case #, she calmly told me that the product is indeed all natural and safe and that the only reason my cat was drooling was because she must have not liked the taste when she licked herself. Just give her some water and she would be fine. Again...WRONG! Next day she was still not acting her normal playful and full of life self, she was hiding and wouldn't come near us. We bathed her 3 times to wash the product off...and we can still smell it on her.

She was so weak she couldn't even fight us. A cat in a bathtub barely moved. What does that tell you? Our poor baby was ill. Hair falling out, she's now limping on her front legs and is very weak, breathing hard and in obvious distress. We are absolutely heartbroken that something WE put on our pet has done this to her. We thought we were doing the right thing by going the NATURAL route and not opting to put poisons on her, now we are sitting here praying she survives. This PRODUCT HAS NO BUSINESS ON STORE SHELVES AND MUST BE BANNED!!! We are taking her to PETCO this am and demanding their clinic to care for our baby and that they take this KILLER OFF THE SHELVES! Next call is a lawyer, this company needs to be held accountable for their irresponsibility. I know better now than to EVER trust a product label and a store website reviews on products. They just simply cannot be trusted.

PLEASE do your research before using products on your pet, just because it's sold at PETCO doesn't mean it's safe. I have started a Facebook group called "Pet owners against SENTRY" here is the link. **. Please come join and share your story. Let's stand together against this company and prevent them from harming any more animals.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Are people really this stupid? Doesn't everyone know by now that cheap OTC flea products not only do not work but they can harm your pets. On my way, lady complained because she bought the collars from Dollar General. YOU BOUGHT A FLEA COLLAR FROM DOLLAR GENERAL!!! What do you expect on and now she wants to hold Dollar General accountable for her ignorance. STOP BUYING OTC FLEA PRODUCTS. It's expensive to get the good stuff from your vets but worth it in the long run.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased this product to get rid of my cat’s fleas, product never worked and even got more flees. This is not my first time using liquid flees product but it's the first time using this product. Very disappointed and waste of money. Should have just used the Advantage from the vets in the first place, would have saved money.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I started using this product 'cause my Jack Russell was noted to scratch at intervals. After applying the product my dog has intense itching. It was horrible. I need to know, does this product cause itching? Very hesitant about using. Going on month 2 in a week or so. After 2-3 weeks the itching seemed not so intense but still noted to itch. I used a product to help the itching but wasn't so effective. Help???

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I applied to 2 cats on a Friday night and fleas actually increased tenfold in 2 days. I only put it on because I saw some when combing one cat. Simply put, the product (Sentry flea) does not work, and the cats don't feel well.

Sentry Pet Products Company Information