PetSmart

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

02/05/2017, transaction was charged to me twice. Clerk said it was not and I needed to process again. Next day, account was in fact charged twice. Call the store and spoke with Michael. Did not see that was charged twice; store level unable to verify. 2nd. charged verified by my institution and Pet Smart. However, store has to wait on HQ to verify before a 3rd. party can issue credit once issue verified. Customer service is pathetic!!! Pet Smart caused the issue in store, but cannot issue credit... only excuses. 3 Calls to HQ to resolve, not response. Stopped by in store to resolve, e-mails presented, but still no credit issued... only more excuses. Be smart, take your business to Pet CO.

Bought a 300W heater 2 Fridays ago online for in store pickup. It's $10 off online. Called customer service before placing order and was told it's usually ready in half hour to an hour and the store should send me a ready for pickup confirmation. I happily ordered and hours gone by no such email came so I called the store in Bridgewater NJ to check and the lady was rude and said it's just not ready if I didn't get no email and they are very busy. I ordered around noon so I decided to drive there around 6 to see if I get to pick it up only to find out they have orders in the system and the store manager Judy just realized and started looking into it because I came in. I picked it up without getting any paperworks. As soon as I read the description on the box I realized I needed a 200W heater and not the 300W. I then went online in the parking lot and bought the 200W instead.

Minutes later I checked with a worker who then checks with the manager and they wanted me to cancel the online order and they'll do the switch for me in the store. So I called their online number to cancel and couldn't. They said the order has gone through to the store side and only the store can cancel it. So in the store the manager was confused. She let them take back the 300W heater and gave me the 200W with no paper trails. She said she'll refund my 1st order. I trusted her and even gave her the online order number to write down. Days went by without any refund, I called customer service only to be told they can't do anything for me. I have to go see the store manager and the worse part is their return policy says no refunds because I paid with PayPal. Only store credit.

A week later on a Friday I went back to the store and Judy told me she refunded me that day and not sure what happened and she wanted me to contact PayPal. Do you see the problem with this company? At this point I told her I'd be ok to just get my heater back, get a store credit so I can buy some dog food. She said to give it another week. I mean what kind of company is this holding on to people's money like this. Essentially I'm out $26 and still waiting to see that refund on PayPal which I don't think I'll get.

A horrible experience with the grooming service. My full bred American Eskimo is so uneven, it is unbelievable. I could have done a better job myself and not have saved my dog from also being hurt! Then to be accused of bringing my dog in uneven by the so called manager and then the groomer telling me she did not do that. One of the managers told me never to come back into their store. Last night I noticed my dog was limping on his back leg. I will NEVER take my dog to the store again! I threw out my receipt in the store.

Before I left the actual store manager spoke with me to apologize however, that does not undo what they did and how I was treated as a good paying customer with three dogs. No there knows what an American Eskimo is supposed to look like after being groomed, then why did they not tell me that before they took my dog! My little Terrier mix, they charged me to brush her teeth and I found food in her teeth! These glorified franchise grooming services really need to better train their groomers on one how to care for an animal while in their care and to know how to groom a dog properly. Each dog is not the same and does not get shaped like a round ball. They should have books with professional pictures of all breeds of dogs so their groomers know what the dog should look like, to me that should be basics of grooming 101. I thought was is what the word grooming was intended for! This was the Mt. Laurel, NJ store.

Every time I shop at the local PetSmart, the place is a mess. I shop cat and dog section, and it looks like nothing is straightened. I doubt the food is rotated, because I found a couple bags of dog food that had expired.The prices are high enough, so I don't shop there anymore.

I spend hundreds of dollars on my schnauzers a year. A few months ago I purchased a harness for my youngest schnauzer. At the time I asked the clerk if I could return it if it did not work out. He said yes. Today I went into the same store to either return or get store credit. The clerk asked the manager because the receipt was old. She said no. Ok fair enough. When I asked for store credit, she said quite loudly, "It's not my problem!" Whoa. Horrible customer service or should I say none. I said I would not come back, she said "Fine". At that point I did call her a name which she replied "I'll call security." NEVER EXPECT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM PETSMART! Ok now an employee can put in 2 glowing reports for this company... happens folks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

I took my dog to the Burlington ON location, which looked more like a dog grooming factory with several dogs in one room being groomed all at once complete with a lot of noise. Upon picking up my dog, the groomer told me he was "difficult" (my dog is a 20 pound yorkie poo). I explained he was probably nervous with all the noise and several dogs all in one small space being groomed simultaneously. Instead of just calling me to pick him up, they charged me an extra handling fee because the groomer claimed she needed help to groom him. Then she informed me they would not be able to groom him again. I told her not to worry I would never give this company (for grooming or otherwise) my business again. I have never had any problems with my regular groomer (who was on vacation) so it was clearly her inexperience and ineptitude that caused such a terrible experience.

Got call from PetSmart employee asking if my dog had been dropped or fell down stairs etc lately. I said no. She said she had red mark on head and she has a red eye but had vet look at her says she is ok. I told her she has always had like a little pen mark of red in her eye since I bought her but vets said that was normal. So they said they finish grooming her and call me to pick her up later. I said ok. So when I showed up to pick her up she was shaking and afraid. She had red laceration to her head above her eye and her eye was all bloody red, no white at all in her eye. Someone hit my dog or dropped my dog most likely hit her...

Last time I brought her their lady said she didn't like to be groomed and it was hard but she is only a puppy she will get use to it and the last time they also nicked her throats area with the blade and I noticed it when I got home because they put a bandana on her. I didn't see it 'till I got home, took off bandana and saw the cut. Store manager tries to give me a discount on grooming. I was even more mad then he gave me grooming free no charge. I said I'm not worried about grooming. I'm worried about my dog so vets at PetSmart in house relooked at dog and said something hit her above eye on her head and caused her eye to turn bloody red but couldn't what hit her. They gave me drops to put in her eye and antibiotics to give her daily... Wtf is going on at PetSmart. This is no way to treat a dog.

I asked a question about flea medicine for my cat and what would be the best medicine. I explained I have bought some off of pet shed and the brand which she told me they don't sell it for cats basically saying I was a liar. So next she is trying to send me to place to wash my cat. I tried to explain our cat is a rescue cat and it very timid and last time we tried to take her somewhere she bit my wife to the bone. But she cut me off and in front of other customers told me if I would be quiet she would tell me what to do. This happened twice so I let her go through her whole speech and told her once again that this will not work. She got huffy and I said just tell where the cat medicine was. She pointed to the spot and guess what not there. Stay away from PetSmart in Smyrna TN. This was the worst customer service I have ever had. Enough to make me write my first complaint.

The first few visits to PetSmart grooming were fine. My pet was willing to go happily. After a few visits I noticed she did not want to get out of the car when we arrived at PetSmart. Once I was able to get her out of the car she would not want to go into the store so it was a struggle to get her to go. Over time she hated to go for a ride. One visit when she got home I noticed a cut on her paw which healed after a short time. I didn’t think anything of it until a later visit I received a call from PetSmart that my pet had a cut and they had no idea how it happened. That was the last and final time because I finally figured out why my pet hated PetSmart. They treat your pets badly. My pet is still scared of going for a ride but she is happy when she goes to her new groomer. Avoid PetSmart grooming at all cost, your pet will have issues after.

I purchased a pet crate on November 8, 2016 using my American Express card. When I opened the box I saw it was used (dirty, covered with hair). I had lost my original receipt and went to return it or give me a credit even though I showed them my American Express bill showing my purchase. I have called their corporate office twice. I also returned to store and the manager Samantha refused to credit card. The used crate was 95.49. I need your assistance.

I brought my toy poodle to be groomed to the Lake Park, FL location. I dropped her off and told the woman I did not want her shaved. This was my first time using PetSmart grooming services so I was VERY CLEAR on what I wanted. She said she would have to shave in a couple of places, however when I picked her up she was completely shaved. This does not even look like my dog anymore and I am in tears over this. Her curly coat is something that essentially defined her look. Now it will take months to grow back, and I don't even know if it will grow back normal. Also, she is normally itchy after a groom but this is ridiculous, she has been itching the entire time since she's been home. I will never bring my dog here again or shop here, and will advise others against Petsmart as well. Obviously the groomer decided to put profit over my dog's needs and the customer's direction.

On Black Friday of 2016 I purchased a few things online for PetSmart. On that following Sunday I realized I made an extra order by mistake. When I went to pick it up I spoke to the manager and ask can he remove that one item. The manager ended up cancelling my whole entire order and said I can reorder or just buy it from the store. I refused to do so because that's not what I asked and I had no funds to repurchase since my card was charge. The manager stated I would receive an email about my cancellation order (which I never received). I was also told my money will be credited to me within 3-10 business days. 2 wk past and I didn't receive anything. I spoke to the manager multiple times including customer service and still nothing. I had to wait a whole month to call my bank for them to dispute the fee. Today I am finally receiving the money from PetSmart thanks to my bank.

We bought some dog food from the store and went to return it, however we were told from the manager that because the bag was not 90% full, they would not return it. Immediately we went to our phones to look up the return policy and could not find the 90% full policy anywhere. We have been weaning our puppy into the Blue Buffalo off of the Royal Canin and as soon as she was fully on the Blue Buffalo she started to have bad gas, diarrhea, puking and is scratching. We are not happy about this incorrect information we have had from a MANAGER. We have called the PetSmart Customer Service twice. The first time we were told to call Blue Buffalo, second time we were able to speak to a very helpful lady that let us file a complaint. It is only because of the second lady that I am giving them one star. Not satisfied with management or the customer service they offer.

I took my Goldendoodle for her first grooming at PetSmart because we had been given a gift card. I was on time and actually talked to the groomer who would be taking care of my pet. We talked about what I wanted in the way of the length of her coat... trimmed, so she wouldn't look so shaggy. When I went to pick her up, I didn't recognize her until she ran to greet me. She had been shaved to 1/2" - 1" of her coat. She doesn't look like a goldendoodle at all. Really shocked and very disappointed. I gave 2 stars because they did do a good job on her nails and hygiene. This is a good lesson because wherever I take her the next time, I'll have a photo of what I want.

I got to PetSmart at 8:58 and they closed at 9:00. Even though they were closing soon, the staff was nice and didn't give me dirty looks or make me feel rushed. I took a few minutes to look at the cool animals they had - they had a python and other cool snakes. I also got the kind of wet cat food I was looking for (though I wasn't 100% if it was the exact kind I wanted). The prices are not cheap, though PetSmart has a member club you can join and save each time you shop there. I liked my visit. Also I should mention that the store didn't smell bad despite there being animals there.

Don't let your children shop alone in the Princeton NJ, PETSMART!! My 14 year old son decided to get his younger brother a tropical fish tank 2 days before Christmas, so his mom left him alone in this PetSmart to make the purchases on his own. My son spent $283 dollars in cash for a 20 gallon fish tank, tank equipment, supplies and 18 tropical fish, all purchased at the same time. No one bothered to tell my son that he needed to set up the tank several days prior to buying the fish so that the water could be treated, filtered and set at the proper temperature with a heater. And with all the money spent he was not sold a tank heater or thermometer, no one at the store bothered to advise him that he needed these items for tropical fish.

Furthermore, no one bothered to tell him that they sell fish starter kits that include a 20 gallon tank, all equipment needed, including a heater, for the total price of $95. When I arrived home 1.5 hours after my son made the purchase, I found him furiously trying to set up all the equipment in the tank, painfully aware that the bagged fish would not survive much longer. He had the tank filled with water and the filter pump running but the water was a thick murky white from the gravel dust. The fish were still sitting in the bags. Anyone with fish tank experience, including pet stores, know new gravel has dust that makes the water murky for a few days and is not suitable for fish. I told my son we needed to return the fish as fast as possible and that since he didn't have a heater or thermometer there was little chance the fish would survive in the murky cold water.

When I returned the fish to the store and asked to speak to the manager she was very apologetic and said it was a new employee that sold my son the $283 worth of stuff. The manager told me it was store policy to advise customers set up new tanks two weeks prior to purchasing the fish and again said it was a new employee who dealt with my son. I told her that the cashier and others at the store should have also noticed a 14 year old buying a ton of new fish tank equipment and bags of fish at the same time. Since the manager was aware of the situation, the manager must have been aware at the time when my 14 year old was in the store and spending $283, against store policy, yet she did nothing!! I guess she was apologetic only because she got caught ripping off a minor!

When I pointed out the $95 fish tank starter kits for sale, she offered no explanation as to why these were not pointed out to my son instead of duping him out of $283. I also found out later that it is against store policy to sell any live animals to unaccompanied minors. A few days later I returned everything my son purchased including the used equipment for a full refund. That was the only good thing about this experience.

The store is clean, well stocked and the employees know the products. PetSmart is the store I go to for all my pets needs. I like the selection of products and the staff is friendly and helpful. I like that I can bring my pet in with me. Anytime I ask a question or ask for a recommendation of a product from the staff, they are quick to help me. Prices are in line with other pet stores. I wish they had more coupons during the year to help with the cost of the products.

The customer service at the Harbison Boulevard store is awesome. They groom my dog. They help me set up my aquarium and they're just really good customer service people. If you want good customer service from the time you entered the door until the time you leave their store this is the store for you to shop.

It's always very easy and affordable to shop here. The staff always are helpful. This store has a wide variety of pet products. I can shop for my dogs, cats, and pond fish. They're always available to answer questions about products. Very well organized. Good prices.

I think they could go down on their prices, they are ridiculously high priced. You pay dollars more than say, Walmart. They sell too many things from China and cost way too much. Not everything, but if you wanted to buy "Busy Bone", they want three dollars and change, when you can get it a buck off anywhere else.

The prices are not that great compared to what you can find online. However the convenience of walking in is great. The store is convenient but some of the prices are a bit higher on some items. We would like a real rewards program at least.

The store deserves these ratings as far as I am concerned. The people there have always been knowledgeable when I asked a question. I have never received bad service at PetSmart and the people have always been friendly and ready to help. If they did not know an answer, they immediately went to get help and find the answer.

I have a local pet store in Dripping Springs, TX that has better prices than this mega store of PetSmart. Ex: their cat litter (Yesterday's News) is $19-21. At my small pet store it is $16.25. It is $14-15 online. They should be ashamed of their prices. And often they are out of stock for what you came in for.

Petsmart is a good store in the fact that you can get Hill's Prescription diet dog foods there. Sometimes it's not the exact one my dog needs, I have to call each time ahead. The price is no different than a vet office though.

The store offers a very nice selection of items and their prices are pretty reasonable. They have several locations and you can order online also. They also have good sales and it's nice to get a coupon for a free item every now and then. They offer grooming services and training classes for your fur baby as well as a clinic and pet hotel at some locations.

Variety of cat litter and great sale prices. Also, they always help me to my car. PetSmart has a great variety of cat items. I wish they had VEGAN cat food, but that may be asking too much. Because of that, I only purchase my cat litter there, but I ONLY buy it there because they send me email sales. I can order and pay online and just pick it up.

Everyone is knowledgeable, but sometimes I cannot get the food I want, and the quality of the toys is not top rate. The store is convenient to reach, the clerks for the most part are very helpful and try to explain anything I ask. I love dogs and enjoy watching the ones in the day-care center play. I can no longer get the cans of Hill's Science Diet that my dog likes, but as I understand it, Hill's is now supplying it to big box stores instead of pet stores.

Whether or not the staff knows what they're doing is hit or miss. I've dealt with staff members who were fully knowledgeable and some who had no idea what they were doing. This store is close to home, which is why I frequent it over other pet stores. They have enough of a selection for our turtle and fish to get everything we need. The staff is usually helpful, but we've had a few negative experiences when we couldn't find someone to help who knew anything about turtles. Overall, though, this is still our go-to store.

The staff is courteous, helpful and knowledgeable, but the prices are continually rising and I only shop here when the regular discount stores are out of stock. There are weekend sales all the time, but the prices go up shortly afterward to compensate for the loss, e.g., treats that were $1.97 before the sale price of $1.89 rose to $2.09 after the sale. Their online prices are generally lower, but ordering for store pickup is a joke. An order placed in the morning is promised to be ready within 2-3 hours, but often, it is not ready until after I call the following day. It is not unusual for one particular store to have "lost" the order, or claim not to have rec'd it even though Customer Service HQ says they have the notification that the order was placed and/or picked. I suspect that store just does not want to honor the lower online price.

Their stock is good with many different options. I have had a few questions about different foods but the staff didn't seem to know much about their products. The staff is good however I don't believe they have any background education in pet food and nutrition. Staff that I have asked questions are friendly but not product knowledgeable.

PetSmart Company Profile