3.41/5
Based on 267 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

Last updated: April 19, 2018

922 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 19, 2018

I received a letter from a victim restitution agency Tuesday that the County Prosecutors Office uses to collect money from bad checks. I wrote a check in Jan 5th for 28.00. It was an electronic check and cleared Jan 8th and they are wanting me to pay over 336.00 for something that NEVER HAPPENED! The check never bounced or anything. I sent my bank statement to the Prosecutors Office that clearly shows that with the Check #, Tracer # and Elec Check ID. I don't know what they are trying to scam here but if this doesn't get straightened out I am calling the local consumer advocate on our news in Indy. And no I have never ever written a bad check. Never going to PetSmart ever again.

Original review: April 17, 2018

At the cash register I had my items rung up - on Apr 13th - yes Friday the 13th - and the cashier said it didn't like my credit card. Try again. I did. What surprise there were 2 charges on my bank credit card. I went to the store - receipt in hand - to have them refund the mistake. The lady in the manager's office chased me. Said couldn't I see that she was on the phone! Told me to go to a cashier. The cashier couldn't handle the refund - she called another manager - and she said go to my bank and have them reverse it! I guess this - today was my last day at PetSmart. They no longer help customers. I saw in the news, that 3 dogs had died in the grooming area since January this year. Maybe they are going downhill. I did buy Freshpet from them - and I now buy it across the street at ShopRite - with a much better expiration date (4 months instead of 3 weeks) and it's half the price NOT ON SALE.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was at the Route 31, Liverpool, NY location. The staff are friendly and manager is very helpful. Be careful of grooming. Grooming is ok. The first time we brought our dog there he was perfect but second time not so much. Wanted to stay and wait to watch our dog get groomed for the second time there. Was not very happy with how they treated our dog. Our dog is blind and we warned them that he gets riled up when touching certain areas. I guess that groomer was not told because we saw him getting riled up toward the end and saw the groomer getting angry at our dog.

Our dog gets riled up when touched on the ears but was told that he was being “nasty” when touched on his feet and tail. According to the paper they gave us they did not finish everything we wanted and still had to pay $70. I saw my dog get treated not very nicely and it was sickening to watch. When they finally gave up and gave me back my dog I just wanted to leave and take my dog away from them. Be careful when taking your dog here for grooming because depending on who gets to groom your dog they can do great or not.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am writing this review in regards to the Grooming at PetSmart Santa Ana, Ca. My daughter had just walked in to pick up our dog from getting their nails trimmed when she saw our Springer Spaniel hanging off the harness. The groomer was not near our dog. Our dog is 14 years old. My daughter called me immediately and I went down there. I demanded that the vet check our dog out since she was hanging and anything can happen. The manager was very unprofessional in the way that he presented himself and said it was my daughter's word against the groomers. We have been going there for 10 years and never had a problem. This was unfortunate. We just wanted to make sure our dog was okay and that the incident was documented in their store and that his groomers were given training about leaving a dog unattended. He would not document the incident and said that was not their policy. They did take care of the vet bill. We will never be going back.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I had a surprise delivery today. It was a prescription for my dog. Supposedly I had it on Autoship for every 6 months (which I don't recall doing). I called PetSmart customer service. I asked if I could return the product, still wrapped. He said no. Then I asked if they could match another site's price, or at least give me a credit. All he kept saying was, "we can't return prescriptions", and "we can't price match prescriptions." Then he just kept repeating himself. I don't need this prescription, and the other site was $15 less!!! This is very frustrating to me. I had been a long time PetSmart customer, but I will be one no more! Whatever happened to trying to satisfy the customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: March 30, 2018

I took my Yorkie to Pet Smart located in Levittown Long Island NY. I drop him off to have his ears check out for an ear infection at 9 am. I got a call at approximately 1:30 pm. The person on the phone told me he had a infection and needed a treatment. It cost $77.00. I ask if there a cheaper treatment that we could do. He got very loud and told us his way was the best way. I ask him again if there was cheaper way to go. He was now screaming at on through the phone. I then ask him his name. He said it was Brain. I ask him to speak to a vet. He was still yelling at me and told me he was a vet. assistant. I then ask him and a cheaper treatment. He told me yes there was but it is not as good as the treatment that they would do.

I then ask him three times what did the treatment involved. He could not tell me. He was still yelling at me so loud that my wife could hear him from the other side of the room. We told him, "Do the treatment" just to get him off the phone. When I went to pick up my dog I asked to speak to Brain. I was told to go into a room to get my dog. I was in the room 20 minutes before a woman came in and told me she was a vet. She spoke to Brain who told her I told him I was going to kick his ass. I told her I never said that. I was 73 and just a triple bypass surgery and did do not threatened or fight with anyone.

I told her that Brain was yelling at me on the phone and when I ask to speak to the vet. he would not let me. She then told me Brain had two kinds of mental problems and gets very loud when talks and gets stress out very easy. I told her he has no social skills and should be to talking to customers. I told her that I did not trust Pet Smart anymore because Brain could not answer any of my questions. There more to this story but this is a enough for now. I have wellness plan with Pet Smart for over 6 years now but that over if mentally challenged people are working on my dog.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I took my King to his 10:00 am appt. for a grooming. The young lady said it will be 3 or 4 hours. My husband arrived there at 2pm. King had not been touched. I called and I asked why someone didn’t call me if it was going to be 5 or 6 picking King up. The same young lady told me she thought about calling me but, she had a dog on the table. I quickly asked for a manager and he apologized and gave me a 50% discount but, then I get there to get my dog King. No one knew anything about that AND THAT'S NOT ALL. King had the worse uneven haircut he has ever had there at Camp Creek Marketplace ATLANTA. Never again! Where in the WORLD DO PETSMART GET THESE NON-HAIRCUTTING ** GROOMERS FROM! DAMN!

Original review: March 12, 2018

Very unsatisfied. Since the very first time I brought my female dog at this PetSmart Hotel, I started to notice a problem. My female dog was peeing blood in her urine and she was extremely thirsty. Once at home, the blood stopped a few days later. When I brought her back to PetSmart Hotel a few weeks later, she was bleeding again when I picked her up. My son complained to them that she was bleeding every time we picked her up from their Hotel. Since the problem was from their Pet Hotel, we asked them to have her checked by the Vet. The Vet told us the dog was having infection which she never experienced before.

Since the problem was coming from their place, we asked PetSmart Hotel to pay for the medication, which they did. We continued bringing the dog to PetSmart Hotel and she got re infected with blood in her urine. It's been 3 months that we have not brought her back to the Pet Hotel and she still bleeding. We called PetSmart Hotel about the problem and the manager is not offering any help. She's very rude with us and she's not considering us as clients anymore... She's aware the problems comes from the Pet Hotel but she doesn't accept to hear anything... It cost me a lot of money to bring my dog to them but they have no consideration for anyone. What should I do at this point?

Original review: March 10, 2018

Arrived at approximately 1220pm for a 1230pm dog grooming appointment for my Havanese. Location was East Washington Street PetSmart location. Individual acknowledged my presence, not even looking at me. I was asked their basic screening questions not being advised at that point they had implemented a new grooming policy. Noted on my cell phone was a voicemail from PetSmart at 1237pm asking that I return to pick up my dog as he was showing signs of “stress”. As I was told when I left it would be 3-4 hours, I did not contact them till 3 pm and was told the same-“signs of stress”.

I returned to the store to pick up my dog and questioned what they considered stress as she stated he is showing 2 “signs” and we cannot groom dogs and I needed to have him sedated. I asked what signs had been observed and she indicated heavy panting and accidentally urinating. I said he was probably panting because he was caged and will bark till removed.

This dog had been groomed in the past by experienced groomers at the Plainfield Indiana location. His only annoying demeanor is that he does not like to be caged and will bark. Once removed he will quiet down as he thrives on attention and caring demeanor. Thus based on the discretion and judgment of an individual with no patience or customer service skills we have been banned from all PetSmart stores. Our name is red flagged in the system nationally. My opinion is this location will lose business based on this new policy and how the screening is accomplished. Lack of friendly customer interaction will add to the decline. Customers should be advised of the new policy initially at check in and have the customer remain in the store until they begin the grooming process.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Cat hotel - I wanted to write a review to warn everyone that when you are told you can visit your pet, not true, suddenly they are prisoners and you can't see or visit them. Totally not acceptable to me. Looked like they were sprayed with water, hissed and growled like they never have before, I hate to imagine what happened to them. I surprised them with a pickup to remove my cats and they ran back to where they were when they saw me walk in. I think first time they checked them. I broke them out and will never put my pets through that ever again. Nice people but not sure of what they do to your pets.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was a long time customer for years but will never give Waite Park PetSmart my business again. I can't tolerate the major lack of inventory any longer. Almost every time I go they're so low on hay that it's not enough to last until the next time when they're still low. And, every time I go for citrus yogurt drops they're completely out. It's even been admitted by some of the employees that when they get a delivery, they take a lot for themselves. Even if they are discounted for employees, that's no excuse to take most of them if not all as I don't come across them. Doesn't the store take inventory as part of its job description and order WAY MORE FOR CUSTOMERS TOO? HOW RUDE! TSCHÜSS!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was so excited to finally find a groomer for cats. I made my appt for my two and a half year old cat for a bath and brush with nail trim.I dropped her off at 7:30 AM. I was told that the cats are done early before any dogs come in so it's less stressful. As I was leaving 3 dogs came in. The groomer cat certified says give her 1 to 1 and a half hours. I get a call 10 minutes after I left and was told I needed to pick her up because she couldn't even get my 13 lb cat out of the carrier. I thought being cat certified gave her the training how to handle them. Very disappointing.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My dog has always been able to hear; he showed no signs of a decline. Around 2.5 months ago, we brought our dog to Petco for his usual grooming; bath, nails, ears, blowdry. My dog is part Beagle and after he got home, within a few days, my dog stopped hearing. I am with my dog all the time; this deafness wasn't gradual. A dog doesn't go from excellent hearing to total deafness. Because he has those beagle ears; they droop and are long, it's harder to dry them. When the ears aren't dried they develop yeast infections.

After I realized that he no longer could hear me I realized that this happened a few days after his last grooming and bath at Petco. My dog is deaf and, of course the vet wants to do more blood work (she did this in November), check out his slight heart murmur, a sore on his anus, etc. We already brought him in once and she said there was a lot of wax build up. We want his ears flushed, meds for the yeast, and antibiotics. It's upsetting for a dog to suddenly stop hearing. I would imagine that a gradual decline wouldn't be so difficult. I am not getting ripped off by a vet who has already attempted to treat him and was unsuccessful. They only care about the $$$$.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I phoned PetSmart to make a grooming appointment for my 'Parti Yorkie', at the Pineridge Naples FL location. When I made the appointment, I asked how much it would cost for the bath and hair trim, which used to be called the FSG full service groom. I was told it would be $49. When I picked him up, they had him checked in as a Shih Tzu. As beautiful as they are, he does not look in any way, similar to that breed. They wanted to charge me more money because it was the weekend. I told them that, no one had informed me of the extra weekend fee when I made the appointment.

After debating the cost, they implied that he looked more like a Shih Tzu and that Shih Tzu's cost more than Yorkies. Apparently they had never heard of the 'Parti Biewer Yorkie' from Germany. This breed has been recognized, since the mid 80's. (Very beautiful!) The manager had to get involved, and after waiting for several minutes, I did get the price that I was quoted. I don't think I will return to that location.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I mainly go to this place because it is convenient. There are a few places more conveniently located, but they are not specialty pet stores, and also I would not visit these places for ethical reasons. PetSmart is convenient enough, and specializes in the products I want.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

This past Saturday I took my dog for grooming at PetSmart in US19 North Clearwater FL and when I received my dog he looks like a phenomenon or a dog from the street. This is pure breed medium size poodle, they left him with no hair, he was cut in one leg, still smell like dogs, his face was not done, ears dirty inside, ears were not trimmed. Other places give the dog at least a little bandana, this one has nothing on, for all that I paid $58 dollars, after I got home he does not stop scratching all over especially his butt. I am very upset at this stupid, lack of common sense groomer, I hope they carry license for this. I will never even buy food for my dog at any of these establishment???

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I have to say I had a horrible experience today in your Green Bay, WI., PetSmart store. I never bring my dog (65 pound pitbull) into the store, as it is just my choice. Today I had to. I was on my way to bring him to the groomer. I had to run in and get NexGard, dog food (35 pound bag Bil-Jac), and dog treats (Bil-Jac). Walking my dog into the store, cart, products...a lot to carry. I noticed that my dog went pee. I immediately went to the front clerk/manager and apologized and said where my dog peed. She told me that is a "good cause" or something like that and that I needed to clean it up. Remember, I have a 65 pound dog on leash, cart full of products and she could see that it was a lot for me to handle...and yet she told me to clean it up!

I, in no way expect someone to pick up after my dog, but this day...carrying/pushing almost 120 pounds around, should have been the day SHE (the manager, that was just standing there) should have seen that I was trying to see "honest", "good cause", etc. and tell someone that I needed some help with cleaning, taking my cart, anything. The manager DID NOT NEED TO HAVE A SARCASTIC COMMENT as she did. I cleaned up the mess and left the store telling the manager, that you cannot control when a dog pees. It is territorial and not done on purpose. I cleaned my dog's mess (with no gloves, your store does not provide them for the customers that clean up dog pee and poop). I then put back over $110.00 worth of products and will never go back to your store.

Having good customer service is your store's #1 priority and today you did not achieve it. I go to your store, because I liked it and knowingly paid more for the products! In the time when I can order everything online and for cheaper, you should understand when a customer needs help. You have lost a customer for life because of bad customer service!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Took my German shepherd pup for a bath and cut. When he came home I noticed him being somewhat timid and submissive. I did not associate it with PetSmart. This time, my wife took him. When I got home and began my normal training session with him, he was extremely timid and extremely timid. Anyone that owns this breed of dog knows this is not a good situation to be in. It will make for a very aggressive dog. I went to the location, and before I could say anything, was informed he bit the person washing him. I asked why, and was told.. "I don't know, it's your dog". Hmmm. My dog is quite friendly, so I was confused.

Another employee quietly came to me and informed me that during the washing process, my dog was not only scared, but tethered to the point where he could not moved, and yelped the entire time. Bingo. Corner an animal, make him fearful, he is going to act and react. Needless to say, I had to board him today at a place he frequents. I was notified that he was in the rear of the cage showing extreme signs of aggression. Luckily there is an excellent trainer there to work one on one with him. It may take a mild tranquilizer to calm him, but better than allowing the aggression. I have put hours into training this dog in less than a year... only to have this setback. Unfortunately, I am the one to foot the bill for help with readjusting. DO NOT take your large breed dog there.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I scheduled an appointment for my dog on the first available appointment. Was never told there was an extra charge for weekends. I picked her up and was charged over 40$! She is a short hair Chihuahua dropped off for anal glands. They charged me for a haircut and everything else. I complained and was told the only thing they could do was give me a coupon for next time. There will be no next time. I'm furious.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Was seriously shocked to be asked to not return with one of my dogs who is fearful but we were working with the groomer who seemed more than fine with it for months. He seemed off that morning and didn't do the usual handling of my dog with her cone to help her through, and he had the manager in there to seal the deal. He could have called me and saved me a trip there if he had decided he truly didn't want to work with her any longer. I feel sad and betrayed. He said she wasn't safe there anymore. Like, where is she going to be safe? It's not about her being safe, it's about not wanting to handle a dog who is not easy. We really need this service! How about trying a sling hammock to be able to service this type of dog. BE INNOVATIVE! Stop shutting people out who need you. At least he tried for a few months, told us she was getting better, sorry this is how it ends.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

PETSMART DELRAY BEACH LINTON AVE - I arrived to the store at 7am and was looking for a cat carrier, but no one was able to help even though I had talked to two people, including the manager. I came back in the afternoon to pick up my cat from the hospital and needed the carrier asap to carry the cat home in. Penny and Tabor went above and beyond to help me choose and assemble a pet carrier and was able to pick up my cat right away!!! The mentioned employees are true assets to this company. Thank you, guys!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They charged my card twice and said it was standard practice. Now my money is tied up for 3-5 business days on a "pre-authorization hold" and an IMPORTANT BILL PAYMENT thus was rejected. I will never order from them online again! Service in my local store (unfortunately 30 miles away) is, however, ALWAYS AMAZING (fortunately). NEVER ORDER ONLINE!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My boy needs special food. I buy Pro Plan - one 3.5 bag of Pro Plan lamb & rice for sensitive skin - $15 change. Buy it at Chewy - same size - $7 and change. Is PetSmart OUT OF THEIR MINDS? ONE case of Special Pro Plan FOOD - at PetSmart - .99 per can - 24 cans - AT CHEWY - .89 per can - at 24 cans. I barely go to PetSmart to begin with. Honestly - I have no idea how they stay in business - they should just have grooming & vet - their prices are THROUGH THE ROOF! BYE BYE, PetSMART! I am ALL DONE & I will be sure to mention to all my friends and family. TALK about taking advantage! Shame on me that one time - never again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have taken my Morkie there for 5 years to be groomed. I appreciated that there are windows so customers can see how dogs are treated, requirements of vaccinations and non sedated pets. For the last 4 years our dog would get a beautiful groom. He’s an anxious little dog and we would be told he didn’t like his face or feet being clipped. The last two times we’ve basically been banned from coming back. Stating our dog gets so nervous that it’s dangerous to his health and he needs to go to a place where he can be sedated. I don’t understand how for 4 years he was able get his grooming complete, the only change has been in management. I recommended many to Petsmart grooming on 33rd, but will never return and never recommend. We have found a mobile dog grooming that does an Incredible job and charges less!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I left my healthy dog off for grooming Friday Dec 29th 9:45 am at Flemington NJ Pet Smart and received a phone message from pet smart. My dog was taken to local vet. I rush to vet minutes later to a dead dog. The dog arrived dead on arrival and was left! No one from pet smart stayed to discuss the death of my dog. They left! No one from pet smart reached out to me. I had to call store manager who was not permitted to give me any info and said the district leader will call me. Several hours later I receive a call from district leader. She stated cannot answer questions under investigation.

I filed a complaint with NJSPCA who called district leader to open investigation. I had to contact customer care to have a corporate manager call me only to say under investigation. The death of my dog is still be investigated. We are horrified and grieve stricken. After a Facebook share I have received numerous stories of beloved pets' deaths and injuries while being groomed at pet smart. Also previous pet smart groomers witnessing death of animals from gross negligence.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I left my dog a Shih-tzu to be groomed last Thursday, by Friday/Saturday he was starting to bite his underside. After a careful inspection I noticed a patch of red where he was shaved. I gave him baby **, and putting ** cream on the area. On Monday the area enlarged to his entire underside that was shaved. Even after giving him ** and cream he was up most of Monday night biting and scratching himself. Tuesday, I called Mount Laurel Animal Hospital and they said to have him looked at by a vet. He was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and was given ** and an antibiotic to take for the next 2-3 weeks. I was told this is typically caused by a close shave and or dirty shaver/counter that the dog was placed in/on... not a happy customer.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Poor Jimmy. We made an appointment to be groomed on 12-15-17 at 11:30am and we dropped him off and about 2 hours later I got a phone call that he has somehow gotten injured in a cage and is bleeding and needs surgery on his foot. He got 4 stitches and (no haircut) and sent home with painkillers. We needed to drive back every few days, 30 miles each way 4 different times for bandage changes. On Saturday before Xmas and on Xmas day I changed his bandage because they were closed for the holiday. Today he got stitches out and his leg is now infected. They blame me for the infection and said I wrapped it up wrong on Saturday and are now charging me for today's visit and any additional care that he needs. It's hard to believe we only wanted a haircut for Xmas. I will keep everyone updated on his condition and any additional cost we incur. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

First, they don’t take your dogs out. So let’s say you are like me and drop them off in the morning... my two dogs were not taken out. They peed and pooped as soon as I got them because they were holding it all day. What pet place doesn’t understand the fact that dogs need to go out just as much as you do? How about you hold it all day and see how you feel? My dog is 14 years old and should not be forced to hold his urine and bowel movements. Second, forget them calling when your animal is done. Instead just show up and hope they are finished because they didn’t call you. And third, make sure you check your bill because you may be paying more than you should. Never again will my dogs be going to PetSmart. Absolutely unacceptable!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I took my bulldog to PetSmart Groomers to get a bath. NEVER AGAIN!! I picked up my dog and her eyes were all red and she was lethargic. Took her to the vet because she had a huge scratch and cut on her stomach which was not there when I dropped her off. I called PetSmart to see if there were any cameras in the grooming area because I wanted to know what happened to my dog from the minute I dropped her off to the minute I picked her up. I was told they have no cameras. Of course, they don't!

I also attempted to take my dog into the PetSmart Groomer again to see how she would react. She would not even go near the door of the Groomers and she loves baths! Very telling! So even though your dog can't talk, they will let you know they HATE this place, SO DON'T TAKE THEM THERE!!! I would recommend Pampered Pup'z in Libertyville. My dog loves going there. :) I am going to go online now to research if there are any lawsuits against PetSmart Groomers for mistreatment of animals.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Love the store. They have a great choice of products. The prices are high, unless it's a sale. Even then online shopping for the same item is usually cheaper.

PetSmart Company Information