2.56/5

Looking for a pet store?

964 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Unqualified Vets, with little or no knowledge of animals. Abuse. My pet showed up for an appointment then they were hours late and then they held my dog in a cage covered in feces and urine. Never again. Tampa Palms.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I took my dog to board for a trip. I called everyday to check on her. Everything was great and no issues. I pick her up, she has pee all over her backside and her bed was soaked in pee. I was told she would be taken out for 4 times a day, I called everyday checking on her and I get the, "She’s eating all her food and going pee and poop and she’s sleeping." I pick her up, everything’s covered in pee. Now I get the story. She just laid there and peed on her bed. I became so angry that I had put my dog in this place and she had to deal with this abuse. She has never peed in our home or her bed and someone is standing before me blaming my dog for this. They need to be investigated. I will never walk into another PetSmart and the person I was dealing with was a manager. So I ask myself what kind of people do they hire. I hope this keeps someone else from having to see their dog treated this way.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Last time I took my 13 year old Shih Tzu was Aug 8. It's exactly 2 months today... While giving her a bath I noticed her nails were not clipped since all her nails were curled into her skin, I understand she's a hairy dog and sometimes they have forgotten but not to this point that they are in her skin. I'm taking her to the vet to have them clipped rather have a vet since they are extremely curled. When I called to inform them of what is happening the manager was not there so they put me with some random guy who all he can say to me was "ok. Ok, ok". This is not only to other consumers but to PetSmart... customer service and showing care to the people that actually contribute to your business a bit more sympathy and retrain your staff will take you a long way.

All I needed from you guys was an "I'm sorry we maybe had missed this. Bring her in and we'll take care of those nails or something similar," some sympathy even if you guys don't care. As customers our dogs are like our children and to hear someone untrained to pick up a phone and act like he has better things to do is unacceptable since because of your customer owners and employees have a job. Thank you again for the worst customer service I've ever received.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We dropped my female Goldendoodle off for her grooming appt. After they worked on her for 20 min, I received a phone call that she had some mats that they wanted to shave down to her skin. I had noted in her appt notes that she has chronic earaches and to be careful around that area, as she’s very tender. One of the spots they wanted to shave was her ear. I gave them permission to shave the other areas, but not her ear. I told them that I would deal with the mat myself after she was done and back home.

They said I had to come and get her now. They said corporate policy is that they cannot bathe a dog with any mats. I said I was okay with the mat getting worse from the bathing and to please bathe her. The groomer said, "Come get your dog now." I asked to talk to the manager. I told her that I was good with them washing her, even with the mat. She rudely and abruptly interrupted and said, "Come get your dog now." I told her I was on my way.

In addition to this, I had a second appointment scheduled for my male doodle for that same afternoon. Nothing was said at drop off that there was an issue with his appointment. Before the phone call from them about the mat, I received a call from the store that they were completely booked and did not know how I was about to make the appointment. I said it showed 4 consecutive appointments available at booking. She said it was a corporate error and I would have to reschedule for another day. I rescheduled for the following day and cancelled my other plans.

After leaving PetSmart with my female, and no call or discussion, PetSmart cancelled my appointment for my male. The last time I was there for grooming, earlier this summer, I was told that they would need to shave my male completely down to bald because he had too many mats. They hadn’t even tried to brush him. I had to beg them for 10 min to try to brush him out without shaving him down, even if I had to pay extra for the time. They reluctantly agreed.

After picking him up, they said they had no idea it was going to be that easy and that most of the mats just slid right out. They hadn’t even tried before they told me they were going to have to shave him. If I hadn’t pushed, he would've been shaved unnecessarily. Today, after I got my female home, all it took was a couple of cuts into the mat to loosen it and the whole mat in her ear slide out. PetSmart, please train your groomers and your managers. Poor grooming service and even worse handling by the grooming manager.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have been using PetSmart for everything our dog has needed since we rescued her two years ago. I have always purchased her bark collar battery from PetSmart. I recently purchased a battery and a few days later discovered it was the wrong size. Although I could not find the receipt I thought they would exchange it without any problem. Boy was I wrong! I was told by the cashier that PetSmart does not carry that battery and without a receipt they would not exchange it. I told the young cashier that PetSmart is the only place I buy batteries for my dog and even gave a description of the employee that checked me out that day and what register they were working. She then told me I probably purchased it from Walgreens and just forgot.

I insisted it was purchased at their store which is when she went to fetch her manager. He agreed with her and told me I was probably mistaken and did not buy it there. The young cashier kept saying “ever since I have worked here we have NEVER carried that battery”. She kept insisting I bought it at Walgreens. Really? Why Walgreens?! Their response led me to believe they thought I was a liar and I left feeling frustrated and disappointed. Unfortunately for PetSmart they have lost a loyal customer over a $10 battery. Luckily for me there is a Petco within driving distance of my home. I guess in the end the customer is always right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

On many occasions we had used the PetsHotel. Each stay is well documented and is shared amongst their network of stores. Medical conditions are to be outlined on the form they provide upon registration. Our Yorkie had a seizure condition which had been well documented. During his final weekend stay we went through the typical registration and provided his medical history and medication. Upon our arrival to pick him up I was asked if had any medical conditions because he seemed to be shaking a lot. Here we found out that his medication was not given to him during his three day stay.

He was seizing all that time. They told us to take him to the Banfield Pet Hospital right on the premises. He was eventually stabilized. We were not charged for his stay nor the hospital bill. That was the least of my concerns. They are reckless and potentially hazardous to the life of a pet. I, as well as my family and pet have been traumatized by this experience. Petsmart is reckless and potentially hazardous to the life of your pet!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Have had a Petsmart points card for several years now, scanned each time I check out at cashier and have never been offered redemption of points for products. Advised today card no longer valid, new plan now, any points collected are not useable because “the system didn’t work well!” Now required to give cashier phone number at check out in order to collect points. I do not wish to state my phone number in public and am angry that this card has not been honoured. Will shop at other pet stores that do allow you to redeem collected points!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Left our dog at Westminster, Maryland PetSmart Groomers. We were headed on vacation from the Groomers, so we didn't notice until we were far away that Groomer must have nicked or cut between his toes. He was furiously licking the area. No, it didn't happen elsewhere. Definitely happened at Groomers. Now, he's wearing a cone & it's an ordeal to get it to heal.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I left my dog for grooming and received a phone call after 30 minutes telling me that they couldn't groom her. She was very difficult. My dog is 14 years old and I had specifically asked for an experienced groomer that can deal with older dogs... They booked me with one groomer and then gave me another groomer named Claudia that was very hostile to me and my dog. The manager and the groomer ganged up on me. I had to leave with my dog with the worst feeling and my dog looking horrible. They gave her a partial haircut that made her look horrible.

I have never been treated this way at any grooming salon. The groomer screamed at me from the top of her lungs “Have a nice day” in a very disrespectful and sarcastic manner. I had the worst experience at PetSmart. People like that should not be working with dogs. When you leave your dog with a groomer, you are leaving a family member. You are trusting that they are professional and kind. PetSmart staff are neither, don’t ever go there to have your dogs groomed.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Went to Petsmart in Lockport, NY last night to buy a Plecostomus for my tank and was informed that I couldn't buy what I wanted because it WOULD grow too big for my tank and the fish would explode... yes, I was actually told the fish would explode.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

At the South Wonderland Road in London Ontario on August 25, 2018, I picked up two flavours of Simply Nourish can dog food that showed a reduced price beneath every single flavor. At check out I was charged one at the reduced price and the second at the regular price which was like two dollars more. I informed the cashier about the reduced price and he answered that it was likely only on the less popular flavors. He was guessing and didn't bother to check. I paid for the reduced dog food. Afterward I looked at the dog food again and every single flavor had a sign beneath showing a reduced price. I also had a worker in this same store refuse to sell me a fish with their regular warranty for the reason, as she said, that my 4.5 gallon aquarium was too small for 3 or 4 guppies. I didn't buy the fish but instead went to our local aquarium shop where they know a lot more about fish than that associate at Petsmart.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

They abuse the customers, they pretend the animal to behave in a perfect way when the animal is with strangers. They called our contacts to tell them that the animal needs to be seen by a Vet, what for? I recently update my animal with vaccinations, and a doctor's evaluation and he was fine, not a problem whatsoever. But Petsmart finds the problem in order to charge more, and if you do not agreed, then they tell you not to bring your animal anymore.

The grooming did wrong too, I told them not to trim the hair too much, and that's exactly what they did, you can see my dog's skin, and to see the Vet it was their fault because my dog was stressed out and they even told me that after the grooming they must put him with the vet because he was stressed and has his genital irritated. This issue needs to be resolved by authorities, because they abuse too much. I went to pick him up and the charges were so elevated. Please do something for these people to stop the hotel and grooming.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Very disappointed in the service Hartsdale store. I went there with my daughter's doodle today to get groomed. There was a sign on the door, "We value military and offer a discount." The doodle dad is leaving next week to his next station in Hawaii. I asked the girl about the discount. Could I have him email his ID for the discount and she was like, "No. We only offer that on Tuesday." Really military appreciation on one day only. She said she was going to give me $10 off for a new customer. I was like, "That's great." I went to get the dog and paid the bill. When I got home I realized that I didn't get the money off... I called and she was like, "Listen. I was doing you a favor. If I have to credit you back the money I have to get a manager involved." I was so mad. I just hung up. Now I know not to shop PetSmart as they only appreciate military one day a week.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Service bath + nail grind. Sanitary trim was included. They did not trimmed and not even cleaned this area. I do better job at home so why waste money for "professional" service. Nails not grind also.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Our pet Snowball chow chow was taken to PetSmart in Montgomery Al 2-12-18 for itching and biting himself. The doctor there said she would give him a full physical exam, We were told that he had a skin disease but never told what kind. An injection supposedly give for the itching and lanced a cyst. The injection lasted a couple of days and then started again. We returned on 4-18. Things escalated and our precious Snowball passed away with flea anemia. It is sad sad sad when a doctor does not know the difference between a flea infection and a skin disease. She never put him on flea medication. She stated that would be in the future. He needed it then. This was total case of do not care and, they had to see the fleas. You tell me what happened. The cost was no issue on our part.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Secaucus NJ location staff is not knowledgeable or friendly. Very few are. Prices always ring up wrong or cashiers are such in a rush. You get double charged. There is specifically one older female manager needs attitude readjustment. If you don't get express service from grooming you are doomed. Low inventory on apparel always.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had 2 items ring up today anywhere from $1.60-$2.00 more than what is labeled on the shelf. I even brought my receipt from last trip to get my $1.49 back that I was overcharged then. Watch your receipts!!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

The new Vet. decided after 2 years that my dog was a biter. I had never received a report that my pet was a biter until this Vet. treated her. They convinced me that the dental plan was a great value. I decided that I was not going to have her teeth cleaned there again and scheduled her wellness visit. I received a call from the vet. stating that my pet could not have her routine office visit without a sedative that I would have to pay over $100.00. The plan is a joke and this Vet is a rotten tomato!!! Some of the vets have been great; but, this one is a lemon. I'm cancelling my plan. It seems that the employees seek opportunities to collect additional funds continually.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I took my English bulldog puppy to be groomed. I left him and returned to get him once they called. I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach once they told me I had to leave him but I’m a new pet owner so I seen that everyone else did same thing so I did. I returned to get him. He walked out on a leash. I didn’t notice till we arrive home and I got him out. I seen his eye. It has big red lump. I called the vet. Sent pictures. I was told it was cherry eye and no big deal right now to make appointment. I was asked what he had done at the time and I told them. I was told that most likely the groomer forced him and was rough and that’s not how it should be done.

Around the same time I get a email from PetSmart. They send me a picture they took of him groomed with his eye popped out. I know it wasn’t like that when I left him there and clearly it happened while there by the picture. I informed management but all I got was, "I’m sorry. I’ll talk to them." Never ever again and I will make sure he’s in the right hand next time but never with PetSmart! Surgery is probably what’s going to happen. We have done the steps to massaging and it worked at first but now it’s happening daily???

Original review: July 24, 2018

Took my dogs to stay the weekend. Picking them up I noticed the white paws were wet up to the dew claws and yellow. All four. I smelled them. It was urine. My dog was standing in urine. How much urine since it was up to his dew claws. He's 65 pounds and a tall dog. When I got him home I noticed that his entire body smelled. I had to bathe him immediately. He now has a rash on his underside. It seems that he was lying in urine. I got a report that my other dog threw up bile. He obviously had no food. Don't tell me you would feed them your food if you limit the portions. He's 80 pounds. Why was he so hungry. The store (hotel) in Farmingdale, NY is a little more caring to the dogs but they are rude to the customers. The Huntington (yes, Huntington, NY) store is the worst. I dealt with them years ago and stopped going.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I took my 7 month old Maltipoo to get groomed (She had been groomed a couple times before being spayed---just puppy cuts). The guy who groomed her told me he was going to trim her ears, ended up shaving all the hair off, looks silly! Also, called me 4 hours later to tell me he couldn't cut her hair. She's a 6 lb. puppy! He told me I should sedate her. She seemed a tad traumatized when I got her back. He also told me she doesn't like to be left alone (it's my dog and know this) and said, "If you have neighbors and leave her outside, you should know that." I snapped back, "We only leave her for a couple hours at a time in a playpen and we have a damn Amazon video camera on her so I know EXACTLY how she behaves when we are gone." NOT going back.

Original review: July 13, 2018

First informals never ever take your dog to Petsmart grooming. I have a 3 pound Chihuahua. Every time we go in there she shakes. She just not want to stay and there has been many times that she comes back home depressed, does not want to eat, is afraid to go outside and I always have to build her up after a grooming visit there. I am positive that there is something going on behind closed doors. These groomers are unprofessional! My last visit there was rude and an eye-opener. The lady at the front desk got my dogs information that was incorrect in their system and were laughing and gossiping in the back while they had dogs on top of the grooming station!

One groomer was letting the dog just sit there and cry for half of the time as she complained of how he dislikes getting groomed. For one it is your job to come for the dog and make him feel safe about combing! As I am writing this, my dog is still shaking and is feeling a little uncomfortable. It’s sad to see people like this work for chains that all they care about is making money and not the safety of dogs! Best advice I can give is take your dog to a local family owned groomer or have someone come over your home!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I took my dog (Maltese, 8lbs., 3 years old) to PetSmart Hotel in Johns Creek, GA. on Peachtree Pkwy for a 4 day overnight stay. The very first day, I received a phone call saying that he had a small cut under his eye and it was also stated that he played with other dogs. My dog is not supposed to play with other dogs because he is not neutered. So, failure #1: apparently they did not read his records and failure #2: what was going on that he received a cut under his eye. They did ask if I wanted to take him to Banfield Hospital located in PetSmart, but I told them to watch him over the next couple of days. Of course they tried to say the cut wasn't bad to save themselves. At that point, I couldn't do much because I was on my way out of town. I called back the next day to check on him. I was told he was very snappy so the staff didn't have a chance to take him out. Failure #3, this is an eight pound, small dog who can't do anything but bark.

No one has ever complained about taking him out for a walk because he is snappy. I also wanted my dog to have a bath when I picked him up. When I get to the hotel at 7:30 AM, I was told my dog did not have a bath because "he didn't like them very much". They also had the nerve to say, this must be his first time here. Okay, it’s clear they don't pay attention to the records at all because they would have seen that he has been to this particular PetSmart Hotel before and I never had issues like this. I also I did not receive the pamphlet on how he did during his stay. I will be getting him seen by a veterinarian asap. If my dog has some serious health issues behind this stay, corporate office/management will be hearing from my attorney. Very Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I was having difficulty with leash training for my Husky mix. We usually don't care for choke or prong collars, but we had tried harnesses and leather collars and she chewed them up while she was wearing them and even during walks. So we bought a Top Paw choke chain, thinking she can't chew it up, right? well, it broke. At first it didn't occur to me that this was a bad quality product, even though my dog is only 50 lbs. So I went back to PetSmart and bought a prong collar. I bought it in the store, so I didn't think of reading the online reviews which was a big mistake. I fitted the collar according to the tag "rest gently on the neck" not too tight, not too loose.

But the links in the collar just came apart during a walk, which resulted in my dog running into traffic and getting killed by a truck. The collar didn't break, it just unclasped, and my dog wasn't pulling hard, she was barely putting any force at all. When I started looking into it, I found that I am not the only one. Some people have had this specific collars fitted by professional trainers and it would still come apart, some people say they have tried other brands and this problem is only with Top Paw, many people have had their dogs run off because of this issue and PetSmart has known about it for over a year.

They know this is a safety issue and they haven't done anything about it, not even a label on the collar to advise of this safety concern so that people take the necessary precautions. When I contacted PetSmart about it they tried to blame it on me, saying the collar comes with an user guide that explains this, which is a lie. The collar does not come with a warning nor an user guide, the tag in the collar says you can buy additional tips separately as if a safety warning is optional to provide. They don't care about the safety of our pets, they only care about making money. I understand it is a business and businesses need money, but no matter what, you cannot sell products that are unsafe and much less without a warning.

And these collars are not even the only unsafe product sold at their stores. There is a large quantity and variety of bones that are unsafe and can easily kill a dog, I never buy them because as a Veterinary Assistant I know the dangers of those products. But not everyone knows about it, just like I didn't know about their brand of collars. And just like many others I trusted PetSmart and their products with the safety of my babies, but unfortunately they don't care about safety and continue to sell bad quality and dangerous products.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Purchased at PetSmart. Warning label nearly impossible to read and does not say the bone can be shredded, thus a dog can ingest very sharp & hard shards. In took about two minutes for my 36-38 lb. lab mix to ingest half of the bone and then hours later, vomit. Largest shard was 2.5"x.5". It was one among several, along with undigested ball shaped bone wads. After an online check (i.e FDA, Dentley products, and my vet office) these can embed themselves anywhere along the digestive system (hopefully she didn't). Contacted PetSmart, forwarded pictures, requested the warning label be rewritten in readable font and for PetSmart to voluntarily remove the femur bone from their stores. They would not.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have talked to many dog owners that London South Ontario Pet Smart Grooming should be avoided at all costs. I tried them and they shaved my teddybear dog legs without permission so the only way to correct the problem was to have the dog shaved. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've had my medium-haired cat shaved at PetSmart for the past two years. I made an appointment about two weeks ago for this morning at 7:30, bundled the cat into her carrier and headed to PetSmart. Checking her in, I produced her rabies vaccination certificate, and was asked if she has any health problems. No, I said. Then I was asked if she had a heart murmur. She has been diagnosed with a slight murmur -- but so have I and no one tells me I can't run ultramarathons or anything.

So I said, yes, but she's not on treatment for it because it's not serious. And they refused to shave her. I said, ok, what if I told you she doesn't have a heart murmur, and they said, no, can't do it. The question is -- why didn't they ask these questions when I made the appointment? And why don't they have a waiver or indemnification clause? I've had the same thing done twice before with no problem. They must've had a cat die on them and then blamed it on a heart murmur. Ridiculous. I"m going to start shopping for dog food and cat food and turtle food by mail.

Original review: June 25, 2018

PetSmart in Valley Stream. Joan ** was the groomer. Incompetent is the kindest thing that comes to mind, but dishonest is more like it. I said not to shave my dog. I said if she couldn't comb out the mats, to leave them. I could not have been more clear. After telling me it would take a long time -- up to 4 hours -- to comb out the mats and pricing the grooming at $80, she texted me in an hour and three-quarters to tell me my dog was ready. Of course she used clippers on the matted areas but passed it off as if she hadn't. Like so many people who are upset with groomers, I just wanted to get my dog away from her. What was there to say anyway? Now I'll have to apply sun screen to my dog's freckled skin to prevent sunburn. Grooming 101? There's a reason dogs have hair. 102? Listen to the owner or decline the job.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We take our dog for grooming. We take her to the same girl each time so our little fur baby will feel comfortable. I called to make a appointment. The girl we normally have was not going to be there. We really needed her hair cut so we were willing to have her cut once by someone else. I took her in for her appointment. 3 hours went by. No phone call so I went to see what was going on. Baby was still in back. I ask what was going on (there no other dogs there). It was a eve appointment. They would not tell me anything but I could hear my baby crying. I ask to see her. They wouldn't. I got the women assistance of the store. She was rude. Talk to me awful. I insisted on seeing her. She had been there over 3 hrs. They finally brought her out. She had never been groomed yet. I ask for my money back and took my baby with me. She was traumatic for her.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Called PetSmart/Banfield regarding my dog's ear infection. I explained to the receptionist that my dog would absolutely not let anyone examine her and that we've been down that road before. (Previously, I had to swab my dog in order for them to run the lab work) so taking her in for an examination is a waste of my time unless the plan is to put her to sleep for a simple ear examination... I told her that I'd misplaced the ear drops and never completed the cycle hence why she is displaying the same exact symptoms, mind it has only been about 2.5 weeks since her ear infection was diagnosed.

I asked if they could please provide a new Rx since it was pretty clear it never healed properly. I called about 5 p.m., was told they'd speak to the Dr. and someone would call me back. I called again "before they close" around 6:20 p.m....the receptionist stated Dr. is still there and that I would get a call back around 7. The receptionist (not the Dr.) called back and stated Dr. would need to see my dog in order to make a determination whether she would require same med, etc.

I told the girl once again that my dog will NOT let anyone examine her, and if I could speak with the Dr...at this point she had already became defensive and her tone was altered, she proceeded to place me on hold, came back and said Dr. is now off the clock and there's nothing she could do and ended call. I tried calling back and of course once place is closed, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of anyone, not even management.

The point to my review here, is that the Dr. could not take one minute out of her day to speak with me regarding my dog. The customer service turns ugly if you don't follow their protocol of "nickel and diming" the customer. I've gone to PetSmart Banfield for some years now for my cats, turtle and recently for my German Shepherd. I've always looked the other way when they came at us with their nickel and diming, but now it's different, my German Shepherd is in pain and the Dr. could not even take the time to speak with me.

Isn't that their job? To care for animals? If you don't appreciate your job as an animal caregiver then leave. Pets are our just like our children and if I called Kaiser and asked to speak with my sons Dr. and she told me she was off the clock and refused to get on the phone with me, that would be completely absurd, right? PetSmart along with Banfield has lost a customer.

PetSmart Company Information