2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5
Based on 1,323 ratings submitted in the last year

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

PetSmart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Late December I purchased a fish tank with a built in water pump, that used Topfin filter RH-L. Early January I needed to replace my filter for the tank however when I went into the store, they did not have stock for the filter. I went in a week later when I was told there would be more from delivery. There was none in stock again. I was then told to buy a bulk filter pad without carbon and replace every 3 to 5 days till they got a new filter, I did this. Now it's early February and even despite going in every week to get a filter there is none. Now due to improper filter being used and build up, even with regular cleaning, my pump seized and all the fish I had died. I was forced to throw away my tank and explain to my 3 year old why all her fish died. The store is the only one in the town of Abilene that sells Topfin which is a PetSmart exclusive. Online charges nearly a $100 for this filter when in store was only $14.99.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I made an online order. Had to open a PayPal account to pay for the items - their system does not accept Visa Debit. I do not use credit. I wanted it delivered to my home - it was an option I chose. This was on a Saturday. I followed up on Tuesday as I hadn't heard anything. Their system did not have my order. The one I had already paid for. I wrote to them, they came back to me a few days later saying one item was backordered - this did not show up when I ordered and paid. They did not tell me which product was backorder... So I asked, they came back with the same email I had gotten the day before. So I said to cancel the order period. That took another 3 emails to accomplish. Customer service does NOT EXIST.

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Petsmart took full amt of my online order, but only 1/2 of order is assigned track number and email notice, no mention or record of other 1/2 of order, no tracking for it etc. yet cust. svc emailing that it was already shipped and received by me....LIES...and I can't even get online to look at my order info, their site has crashed and error message is all you get for a week now. Can't even get a person on the phone to talk to! All I get are email replies that either have nothing to do with the issue (canned replies) or lies that 'it was shipped' yet no proof even that they sent the other 1/2 of order....Plus no stock issue, because in all the stores, yet they aren't refunding the missing 1/2 of my order! I now have to file claims everywhere, and will NEVER use them again....If you don't want to lose your money and get ZERO PRODUCT in return, shop elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I had the most ridiculous experience with an online order. I signed up for Petsmart as we got a puppy 2 days back. I did make some puchases in-store and they asked me to sign up for pet training classes/grooming sessions, etc. I wanted to do additional purchases, due to covid we decided to buy online. I had coupon and gift cards which I wanted to use, but there some technical glitch in your website and was not telling me make the purchase and also the coupon/card pins was also not working. I called and the lady spend 2 hrs on phone and had similar issue, she was able to select the location and place the order. I hung up because she wasted my 2 hrs of time. I missed two work calls and then cancelled one more meeting to resolve this because I wanted this product immediately and was willing to go to store and pick up to save time.

The rep somehow messed up and escalated to her supervisor, who somehow I thought was a sensible one, she apologised and gave me some discounts due to the major inconvenience caused and wasting my 2.30 hrs behind this. Now she verified twice and thrice and asked me which location I wanted Morrisville or Apex, after all that discussion, I did tell I don't see an email confirmation yet, but I see my card has been charged. The email came a bit delayed, and to my surprise I see a random store in Arizona as a pickup location. I doublechecked my account and all information, because I had signed up this morning. All account information seemed correct. I don't know how the hell did she pick arizona location.

I call again wasted 45 min to explain what happened and the rep said I have to cancel that order and reorder. To that I asked her how will I be able to use the gift card, coupon, etc and additional discounts she gave for a different purchase. She said, "I can resend you a $10 gift card." Well, what a explanation and stupid answer was that, when I had got total of $25 off including everything. The matter is still not resolved. But my previous order which I placed wasting 2.30 hrs has been cancelled and now after wasting the whole day, neither am I able to pick that product from store.

I lost a day, Amazon is out of stock now, cannot deliver by tomorrow. I am waiting for a supervisor to call me and resolve this, not sure if I will receive a call or not. Becasue she said she will call me and resolve this within 5-15 min, it's been 45 min and I have not received any calls from Petsmart. This is an absolute ridiculous experience and I will cancel each and everything I had signed up for with Petsmart and share my experience with every possible consumer site. Worst online purchasing experience ever. I bought from Chewy's and amazon this morning and it was absolutely quick and smooth.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I received a shipment from them that was completely damaged. They did not add shipping material and the heavy items crushed and tore the smaller items. I submitted photos as they requested. They then said I would have to take the damaged item into the store manager for an exchange. I have an underlying condition and am quarantined and why I ordered online. I asked if they would pick it up. They refused repeating they didn’t care and I’d have to go into the store or was out of luck. Extremely rude customer service and horrible shipping. I deleted my account with them and won’t be shopping again either in the US or my other home in Canada. Horrible customer service who don’t care about loyal repeat customers which I was before now.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

We had ordered TEN bags of sand for my salt water tank. We received three bags (seven bags short) of sand FOUR days after the date we paid for overnight! Also they sent us a box with a literal circle weight...but charges us 300$ for 3 bags of sand that cost only 18$... and we only have THREE... should only be MAYBE 70$... not 300$!!! We have tried for two days to call customer on hold for hours just for the representative to hang up as soon as it’s my turn. I want my money back. This is ridiculous that Petsmart doesn’t have customer service employees that answer phones... that’s literally their only job requirement.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Deborah at Petsmart does not know how to cut hair for Pomeranian. She will tell you she does but don't trust her. My baby came home with the worst cut ever! Her hair was sticking out in every direction. Her hair on the back of her head was cut flat almost shaved! There used to be a lady her named Heather but she left. Do not let Deborah cut your babies hair.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I contacted PetSmart to find out how their chip program works. Not sure if I could just show up with a stray. The first person told me they don't have a vet on site or anyone able to read a chip. OK.. She tells me to call another location. I call only to be told PetSmart does not have a contract to check for chips. I would need to contact a vet.. That's all, click.. Wow!! All the money that is spent at PetSmart you would think that if our fur baby were to get lost you would be one of the first to help us get reunited. It is advertised as such..please fix this this is not right.

Original review: July 25, 2020

If I could give zero Stars I would. I will never shop at any PetSmart ever again. I bought what turned out to be dangerous cat toy at their store. The very next day my cat got a hold of the toy, chewed it up and ingested the tinsel pieces. I had to rush him to the vet and ended up with a very expensive vet bill and he was sick for a week throwing up and dehydrated. If I hadn't taken my cat to the vet when I did he could have died. I contacted the store and told them I felt this toy needed to be taken off the shelf because my vet had seen these types of toys with foil like tinsel injure other cats before. The store manager was nice and tried to help but the decision was made by PetSmart corporate to continue selling the toy because it had a disclaimer on the package.

I had also asked if they would reimburse me for the vet bill as a good faith measure since they sold me this dangerous toy and it caused my cat injury and a week of illness, worry and stress. I explained that I have been a good customer for many years spending $150 to $200 a month in their store. Over the lifetime of my two cats (not even including my previous pets) that is a lot of money. They refused which in my opinion was shortsighted over a $400 vet bill. It is my opinion that PetSmart cares more about profits than they do the retaining their clients and whether or not another cat would be injured by this toy.

If you love your cat please do not buy this toy and I would encourage anyone to question whether or not PetSmart deserves your business. I pray no other cat is injured by this toy. Here it is 2 weeks later and my cat is still throwing up little pieces of tin foil. Another trip to the vet. God help my kitten to live. I'm sure their competitors will appreciate gaining my business.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I have been taking both my dogs to Pet Smart grooming Newport Ky from their very first groom. I always went to the same groomer; she was very kind and gentle and the dogs enjoyed seeing her. Although they had some nervousness when entering they were fine, but around a year ago something happened. After a visit I noticed my female dog when entering the lot to go into the store was very nervous, in the store she started crying and shaking badly. My husband and I both were very concerned and did mention to our groomer was there some change or did something happen. She said no she was not aware of anything. Slowly each return my female continued to get worse, I would have to pick her up to take her in, she would no longer walk into the store if I tried she would pull me back to the car.

During this time, I noticed my male dog started to show increasing anxiety. Again, I asked if there had been any changes to their grooming and is there anything they could do that might help them to feel more comfortable. Finally, on this last trip, when I entered the parking lot, they both ran into their crate and I had to pull them out. Sadly, it was very hot, and covid masks did not help. After I would get one out then when pulling the other out the first would run back in. After 10 minutes I was able to get them out of the car. They kept trying to jump in while I was trying to shut the door.

When I went into the store again, I asked again as my dogs were cowering in the corner trying to run away and one of the groomers told me that them getting their hair cut is like me going to the dentist. I was horrified. I knew before I entered the store that day, I would never go back to Pet Smart groomers, but that comment solidified my decision. I was able to find a groomer that would take the time to allow for the dogs to de-stress and as they say at this groomer it is a spa day, not a dentist appointment.

My suggestion if you have a dog that you know is more sensitive, never take them to Pet Smart grooming, it is more of a conveyor grooming service. Sadly, my groomer never came back after covid, she was the only reason I kept going. But I really think something happened. A note, I regularly groomed my dogs as well. That was a comment my groomer made that she liked that I kept up on their grooming. Look around before you take your dogs to be groomed, if you can’t do it yourself then take the time to find a smaller place that will show your dog the respect and love it deserves.

PetSmart Company Information