2.93/5
Based on 269 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

952 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Very disappointed in the service Hartsdale store. I went there with my daughter's doodle today to get groomed. There was a sign on the door, "We value military and offer a discount." The doodle dad is leaving next week to his next station in Hawaii. I asked the girl about the discount. Could I have him email his ID for the discount and she was like, "No. We only offer that on Tuesday." Really military appreciation on one day only. She said she was going to give me $10 off for a new customer. I was like, "That's great." I went to get the dog and paid the bill. When I got home I realized that I didn't get the money off... I called and she was like, "Listen. I was doing you a favor. If I have to credit you back the money I have to get a manager involved." I was so mad. I just hung up. Now I know not to shop PetSmart as they only appreciate military one day a week.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Service bath + nail grind. Sanitary trim was included. They did not trimmed and not even cleaned this area. I do better job at home so why waste money for "professional" service. Nails not grind also.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Our pet Snowball chow chow was taken to PetSmart in Montgomery Al 2-12-18 for itching and biting himself. The doctor there said she would give him a full physical exam, We were told that he had a skin disease but never told what kind. An injection supposedly give for the itching and lanced a cyst. The injection lasted a couple of days and then started again. We returned on 4-18. Things escalated and our precious Snowball passed away with flea anemia. It is sad sad sad when a doctor does not know the difference between a flea infection and a skin disease. She never put him on flea medication. She stated that would be in the future. He needed it then. This was total case of do not care and, they had to see the fleas. You tell me what happened. The cost was no issue on our part.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Secaucus NJ location staff is not knowledgeable or friendly. Very few are. Prices always ring up wrong or cashiers are such in a rush. You get double charged. There is specifically one older female manager needs attitude readjustment. If you don't get express service from grooming you are doomed. Low inventory on apparel always.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had 2 items ring up today anywhere from $1.60-$2.00 more than what is labeled on the shelf. I even brought my receipt from last trip to get my $1.49 back that I was overcharged then. Watch your receipts!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: July 30, 2018

The new Vet. decided after 2 years that my dog was a biter. I had never received a report that my pet was a biter until this Vet. treated her. They convinced me that the dental plan was a great value. I decided that I was not going to have her teeth cleaned there again and scheduled her wellness visit. I received a call from the vet. stating that my pet could not have her routine office visit without a sedative that I would have to pay over $100.00. The plan is a joke and this Vet is a rotten tomato!!! Some of the vets have been great; but, this one is a lemon. I'm cancelling my plan. It seems that the employees seek opportunities to collect additional funds continually.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I took my English bulldog puppy to be groomed. I left him and returned to get him once they called. I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach once they told me I had to leave him but I’m a new pet owner so I seen that everyone else did same thing so I did. I returned to get him. He walked out on a leash. I didn’t notice till we arrive home and I got him out. I seen his eye. It has big red lump. I called the vet. Sent pictures. I was told it was cherry eye and no big deal right now to make appointment. I was asked what he had done at the time and I told them. I was told that most likely the groomer forced him and was rough and that’s not how it should be done.

Around the same time I get a email from PetSmart. They send me a picture they took of him groomed with his eye popped out. I know it wasn’t like that when I left him there and clearly it happened while there by the picture. I informed management but all I got was, "I’m sorry. I’ll talk to them." Never ever again and I will make sure he’s in the right hand next time but never with PetSmart! Surgery is probably what’s going to happen. We have done the steps to massaging and it worked at first but now it’s happening daily???

Original review: July 24, 2018

Took my dogs to stay the weekend. Picking them up I noticed the white paws were wet up to the dew claws and yellow. All four. I smelled them. It was urine. My dog was standing in urine. How much urine since it was up to his dew claws. He's 65 pounds and a tall dog. When I got him home I noticed that his entire body smelled. I had to bathe him immediately. He now has a rash on his underside. It seems that he was lying in urine. I got a report that my other dog threw up bile. He obviously had no food. Don't tell me you would feed them your food if you limit the portions. He's 80 pounds. Why was he so hungry. The store (hotel) in Farmingdale, NY is a little more caring to the dogs but they are rude to the customers. The Huntington (yes, Huntington, NY) store is the worst. I dealt with them years ago and stopped going.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I took my 7 month old Maltipoo to get groomed (She had been groomed a couple times before being spayed---just puppy cuts). The guy who groomed her told me he was going to trim her ears, ended up shaving all the hair off, looks silly! Also, called me 4 hours later to tell me he couldn't cut her hair. She's a 6 lb. puppy! He told me I should sedate her. She seemed a tad traumatized when I got her back. He also told me she doesn't like to be left alone (it's my dog and know this) and said, "If you have neighbors and leave her outside, you should know that." I snapped back, "We only leave her for a couple hours at a time in a playpen and we have a damn Amazon video camera on her so I know EXACTLY how she behaves when we are gone." NOT going back.

Original review: July 13, 2018

First informals never ever take your dog to Petsmart grooming. I have a 3 pound Chihuahua. Every time we go in there she shakes. She just not want to stay and there has been many times that she comes back home depressed, does not want to eat, is afraid to go outside and I always have to build her up after a grooming visit there. I am positive that there is something going on behind closed doors. These groomers are unprofessional! My last visit there was rude and an eye-opener. The lady at the front desk got my dogs information that was incorrect in their system and were laughing and gossiping in the back while they had dogs on top of the grooming station!

One groomer was letting the dog just sit there and cry for half of the time as she complained of how he dislikes getting groomed. For one it is your job to come for the dog and make him feel safe about combing! As I am writing this, my dog is still shaking and is feeling a little uncomfortable. It’s sad to see people like this work for chains that all they care about is making money and not the safety of dogs! Best advice I can give is take your dog to a local family owned groomer or have someone come over your home!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I took my dog (Maltese, 8lbs., 3 years old) to PetSmart Hotel in Johns Creek, GA. on Peachtree Pkwy for a 4 day overnight stay. The very first day, I received a phone call saying that he had a small cut under his eye and it was also stated that he played with other dogs. My dog is not supposed to play with other dogs because he is not neutered. So, failure #1: apparently they did not read his records and failure #2: what was going on that he received a cut under his eye. They did ask if I wanted to take him to Banfield Hospital located in PetSmart, but I told them to watch him over the next couple of days. Of course they tried to say the cut wasn't bad to save themselves. At that point, I couldn't do much because I was on my way out of town. I called back the next day to check on him. I was told he was very snappy so the staff didn't have a chance to take him out. Failure #3, this is an eight pound, small dog who can't do anything but bark.

No one has ever complained about taking him out for a walk because he is snappy. I also wanted my dog to have a bath when I picked him up. When I get to the hotel at 7:30 AM, I was told my dog did not have a bath because "he didn't like them very much". They also had the nerve to say, this must be his first time here. Okay, it’s clear they don't pay attention to the records at all because they would have seen that he has been to this particular PetSmart Hotel before and I never had issues like this. I also I did not receive the pamphlet on how he did during his stay. I will be getting him seen by a veterinarian asap. If my dog has some serious health issues behind this stay, corporate office/management will be hearing from my attorney. Very Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I was having difficulty with leash training for my Husky mix. We usually don't care for choke or prong collars, but we had tried harnesses and leather collars and she chewed them up while she was wearing them and even during walks. So we bought a Top Paw choke chain, thinking she can't chew it up, right? well, it broke. At first it didn't occur to me that this was a bad quality product, even though my dog is only 50 lbs. So I went back to PetSmart and bought a prong collar. I bought it in the store, so I didn't think of reading the online reviews which was a big mistake. I fitted the collar according to the tag "rest gently on the neck" not too tight, not too loose.

But the links in the collar just came apart during a walk, which resulted in my dog running into traffic and getting killed by a truck. The collar didn't break, it just unclasped, and my dog wasn't pulling hard, she was barely putting any force at all. When I started looking into it, I found that I am not the only one. Some people have had this specific collars fitted by professional trainers and it would still come apart, some people say they have tried other brands and this problem is only with Top Paw, many people have had their dogs run off because of this issue and PetSmart has known about it for over a year.

They know this is a safety issue and they haven't done anything about it, not even a label on the collar to advise of this safety concern so that people take the necessary precautions. When I contacted PetSmart about it they tried to blame it on me, saying the collar comes with an user guide that explains this, which is a lie. The collar does not come with a warning nor an user guide, the tag in the collar says you can buy additional tips separately as if a safety warning is optional to provide. They don't care about the safety of our pets, they only care about making money. I understand it is a business and businesses need money, but no matter what, you cannot sell products that are unsafe and much less without a warning.

And these collars are not even the only unsafe product sold at their stores. There is a large quantity and variety of bones that are unsafe and can easily kill a dog, I never buy them because as a Veterinary Assistant I know the dangers of those products. But not everyone knows about it, just like I didn't know about their brand of collars. And just like many others I trusted PetSmart and their products with the safety of my babies, but unfortunately they don't care about safety and continue to sell bad quality and dangerous products.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Purchased at PetSmart. Warning label nearly impossible to read and does not say the bone can be shredded, thus a dog can ingest very sharp & hard shards. In took about two minutes for my 36-38 lb. lab mix to ingest half of the bone and then hours later, vomit. Largest shard was 2.5"x.5". It was one among several, along with undigested ball shaped bone wads. After an online check (i.e FDA, Dentley products, and my vet office) these can embed themselves anywhere along the digestive system (hopefully she didn't). Contacted PetSmart, forwarded pictures, requested the warning label be rewritten in readable font and for PetSmart to voluntarily remove the femur bone from their stores. They would not.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have talked to many dog owners that London South Ontario Pet Smart Grooming should be avoided at all costs. I tried them and they shaved my teddybear dog legs without permission so the only way to correct the problem was to have the dog shaved. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've had my medium-haired cat shaved at PetSmart for the past two years. I made an appointment about two weeks ago for this morning at 7:30, bundled the cat into her carrier and headed to PetSmart. Checking her in, I produced her rabies vaccination certificate, and was asked if she has any health problems. No, I said. Then I was asked if she had a heart murmur. She has been diagnosed with a slight murmur -- but so have I and no one tells me I can't run ultramarathons or anything.

So I said, yes, but she's not on treatment for it because it's not serious. And they refused to shave her. I said, ok, what if I told you she doesn't have a heart murmur, and they said, no, can't do it. The question is -- why didn't they ask these questions when I made the appointment? And why don't they have a waiver or indemnification clause? I've had the same thing done twice before with no problem. They must've had a cat die on them and then blamed it on a heart murmur. Ridiculous. I"m going to start shopping for dog food and cat food and turtle food by mail.

Original review: June 25, 2018

PetSmart in Valley Stream. Joan ** was the groomer. Incompetent is the kindest thing that comes to mind, but dishonest is more like it. I said not to shave my dog. I said if she couldn't comb out the mats, to leave them. I could not have been more clear. After telling me it would take a long time -- up to 4 hours -- to comb out the mats and pricing the grooming at $80, she texted me in an hour and three-quarters to tell me my dog was ready. Of course she used clippers on the matted areas but passed it off as if she hadn't. Like so many people who are upset with groomers, I just wanted to get my dog away from her. What was there to say anyway? Now I'll have to apply sun screen to my dog's freckled skin to prevent sunburn. Grooming 101? There's a reason dogs have hair. 102? Listen to the owner or decline the job.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We take our dog for grooming. We take her to the same girl each time so our little fur baby will feel comfortable. I called to make a appointment. The girl we normally have was not going to be there. We really needed her hair cut so we were willing to have her cut once by someone else. I took her in for her appointment. 3 hours went by. No phone call so I went to see what was going on. Baby was still in back. I ask what was going on (there no other dogs there). It was a eve appointment. They would not tell me anything but I could hear my baby crying. I ask to see her. They wouldn't. I got the women assistance of the store. She was rude. Talk to me awful. I insisted on seeing her. She had been there over 3 hrs. They finally brought her out. She had never been groomed yet. I ask for my money back and took my baby with me. She was traumatic for her.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Called PetSmart/Banfield regarding my dog's ear infection. I explained to the receptionist that my dog would absolutely not let anyone examine her and that we've been down that road before. (Previously, I had to swab my dog in order for them to run the lab work) so taking her in for an examination is a waste of my time unless the plan is to put her to sleep for a simple ear examination... I told her that I'd misplaced the ear drops and never completed the cycle hence why she is displaying the same exact symptoms, mind it has only been about 2.5 weeks since her ear infection was diagnosed.

I asked if they could please provide a new Rx since it was pretty clear it never healed properly. I called about 5 p.m., was told they'd speak to the Dr. and someone would call me back. I called again "before they close" around 6:20 p.m....the receptionist stated Dr. is still there and that I would get a call back around 7. The receptionist (not the Dr.) called back and stated Dr. would need to see my dog in order to make a determination whether she would require same med, etc.

I told the girl once again that my dog will NOT let anyone examine her, and if I could speak with the Dr...at this point she had already became defensive and her tone was altered, she proceeded to place me on hold, came back and said Dr. is now off the clock and there's nothing she could do and ended call. I tried calling back and of course once place is closed, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of anyone, not even management.

The point to my review here, is that the Dr. could not take one minute out of her day to speak with me regarding my dog. The customer service turns ugly if you don't follow their protocol of "nickel and diming" the customer. I've gone to PetSmart Banfield for some years now for my cats, turtle and recently for my German Shepherd. I've always looked the other way when they came at us with their nickel and diming, but now it's different, my German Shepherd is in pain and the Dr. could not even take the time to speak with me.

Isn't that their job? To care for animals? If you don't appreciate your job as an animal caregiver then leave. Pets are our just like our children and if I called Kaiser and asked to speak with my sons Dr. and she told me she was off the clock and refused to get on the phone with me, that would be completely absurd, right? PetSmart along with Banfield has lost a customer.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have an Alaskan Malamute. I am writing this now because I am done not saying anything. We got back from the groomers last night and she was tired and laid down. This morning finds my dog whimpering because after a short walk this morning we came back in and now she cannot lay down and is even having trouble sitting. She has been on Glycoflex (Hips, Joint's) for the last 5 years. I started her on this to help prevent Hip Dysplasia. I have used over 10 different Groomers in my Girls 9 years. PetSmart - I love young kids getting their start with a job. This is the 5th time in 5 years that my baby has come back from your groomers and has had problems, this is the worst she has been even after I explain what happens after her being groomed. I was told that it was because she has to stand for so long. I know different but I displayed insanity again thinking that it might be different this time.

Big dogs have no business being put on smooth stainless steel tables where they can slide all over the place. I could go on and get more INFURIATED because they even gave me back to her wet and I knew what I was in for when she dried out. PETSMART GROOMERS you are the worst or at least the 5 groomers that have work on my baby. $ 110.00 for this POS service. I will say this, it is 5 different stores that don't care how they treat their paying customers family. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I am not happy with the service, they gave me my dog still wet and I had to ask them to dry it again. Did you wash your teeth? Because everything seemed the same. I got upset and when I got home to clean my dog's eyes, his eyes were dirty with laments and his tail was examined, even with a bit of poop stuck on it. I had to go back to work and I could not waste time with them again. I pay $40.99. Is it fair?

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am a certified, professional dog trainer. I am the President/Trainer for Shelter Dogs For Veterans, Inc. We are a 501c3 nonprofit that pulls dogs from kill shelters and trains them for veterans suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Today, May 12, 2018 at 2:30 pm. I was with a group of individuals with six (6) dogs who are training to be Therapy Dog and Service Dogs. It was their graduation day prior to taking the Canine Good Citizen test.

We were at the PetSmart located at 1810 Cumming Highway, Ste 12, Canton, GA 30114. I also had my Service Dog, Pepper, with me. We had the dogs there to SHOP for treats, harnesses, toys and food for the dogs for a job well done. We also wanted to socialize them. I had just completed a class at my facility and still had my work shirt on that said Paws Be Good on it with my name badge that said Trainer. Not one of the dogs with us caused any kind of a scene, barked, growled or made a noise. All were quiet, sitting or lying down and quietly as they had been instructed and trained to do so months before.

When we entered the store I told everyone to go to the back of the store to start so we were not in anyone’s way. We all stopped in the back briefly by the dog grooming area. I told everyone to put their dog in a sit and focus. We were chatting with each other for a minute before we started shopping. The next thing I know, a man in a blue shirt waved at me from about five feet away and said, “Can you come over here so I can talk to you?” I had no idea who he was. He didn’t introduce himself. I approached him and the first thing he said was “You are going to have to leave, we already have a trainer here.”

I was stunned and looked at him. I had no idea who he was or what he was talking about. I then noticed the PetSmart emblem on his shirt. I assumed he worked there. I didn’t know what to say. I told him “we are just here socializing our dogs”. He then again said “We already have a trainer here.” I said, “Yes I know, we are only socializing our dogs, some are service dogs. We were going to shop too.” He then said, “our trainer is training right now, we have a trainer here.” I still didn’t understand what this had to do with us. He then pointed to an older woman who was walking with a young man and a dog down one of the aisles. I am very familiar with the store as I have shopped there many times. The store’s training area is up in the front left of the building. He then asked me “How long are you going to be here?” I responded to him “we will be leaving in about 30 minutes”.

I figured that was how long It would take everyone to purchase their items. He said to me, “No, you have to leave now. We can’t have this kind of thing going on”. I was so shocked and embarrassed. We didn’t do anything wrong. I then told everyone we needed to leave. They ALL heard the conversation between this man and myself. As we were leaving, I said to the others I would be shopping in Dalton from now on. Everyone else said to him that they wouldn’t be shopping there any longer either.

As I was leaving I realized I didn’t even know who this man was. I went back on my own and asked his name. He said it was **. He still did not indicate his status or that he was an employee. The only way I knew that he was an employee was that he was wearing a PetSmart shirt. I asked him “are you the manager.” He said “Yes”. I said “OK, thank you.” I immediately turned to leave. He started following me and again said, “If you had contacted us earlier we could have worked something out.” I didn’t know what he meant. Do all your customers have to ask permission to come in with their dogs and shop? I thought dogs were welcome in PetSmart.

Are other dog trainers not allowed to come in your stores with people who happen to also be their clients to shop or socialize their dogs? Once again, we were there to SHOP and socialize our dogs. We were having a fun outing the day of their graduation. I said to him “these are service dogs in training, I didn’t know you were training service dogs here.” He continued to follow me and he said, “if you had contacted me we could have worked something out, but you just want to attack me.” I had no idea what he was talking about. At no time did I ever raise my voice or say anything negative to him. He was the one that continued to follow and harass me. Everything I have written above is factual and how it transpired. There are five (5) other witnesses that heard it all. They were as dumbfounded as I was over what occurred. They all commended me on my calmness and professionalism.

You can rest assured I will never enter that store again nor will I ever send another individual there to shop. I have sent hundreds of clients and individuals to your store in the past. I will let everyone know how you treat other trainers and customers. By the way, two of the individuals with me were Veterans with their dogs. I sure hope you don’t treat all veterans this way.

Original review: May 17, 2018

The PetSmart Covington LA near me is awful with customer service. I go in to get crickets a few times a week and it’s always a hassle to find an associate to help me. Their prices went up as well. Worse quality, higher cost. I will be giving all of my future business to Petco.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The two PetSmart locations near me (Mechanicsville VA & Glen Allen VA) are horrible at caring for the animals they sell. I have two 60 gallon freshwater fish tanks and a 55 gallon saltwater tank. First of all, it sucks that they don't sell saltwater, but my main concern is the freshwater fish they do sell. I usually buy my fish from a local pet store where I live, they closed earlier this year. I have been in both of the PetSmart near me and can never seem to find any help. They are educated at all with any fish knowledge, they don't take care of the tanks there, and they will sell you just about any diseased fish they can just to get you out of there. I bought 2 angelfish from there, they ended up having ICK- killed everything in my tank, Over 1,000 dollars worth of fish. I redid my tank, and figured things like that happen sometimes and maybe they didn't know. So I bought more fish from there, they ended up all having cotton fungus - killed all of them but one.

I have spent so much money in treatments to heal these fish and they still end up dying. I bought a few cheap fish just to try out again - they were dead before I got them home. The last time I went in there almost half out the fish in the tanks were dead, one even jumped out of a tank and was laying there flopping until I picked it up, the guy was just standing at the little table on his phone texting. If PetSmart isn't going to take care of the animals they sell then they really shouldn't sell them. It's such a shame to see all these fish that die because of poor maintenance and uneducated employees. I am very disappointed and upset that I spend so much money on these fish and treatments and now I have nothing, no fish. Maybe I will have better luck with Petco.

Original review: May 15, 2018

On May 15, 2018 at 9 am I dropped my 4 month old German Shepherd to get groom. I informed PetSmart that this was Roxy very first visit, told them she might be a little scared, but she real sweet. You comfort her she will do great. They assure me that she will get pamper. I left out the door but I didn’t leave the store. I needed to do a little shopping for Roxy.

About 30 minutes in the store I decided to check out at the register, and I looked over at the grooming and I saw a man jerking hard on this dog, and then jerk her head hard enough that Roxy screams out. Her cliff one nail Roxy screams out and pull her leg back and he jerk her leg so hard she fell and he got upset started just jerking her. The three ladies in the room did nothing to stop him. They laughed, but when one looked up and saw me at the window then she goes overacting as she comforting Roxy when she really was telling him that I was standing and looking. I asked for everyone name. They refused to answer. I will never go back to PetSmart ever. They are cruel to animals.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We took our two standard poodles in for full grooming. I asked for a puppy cut for both dogs but the instructions must never have made it to the individual groomers. One dog’s face was heavily scraped by cutting much to close to the skin. And her tail looked like a bottle brush, huge and thick compared to the rest of the cut. The other dog, the male, had his tail cut nearly down to the skin. In short, this was the worst grooming job we have ever had - particularly on the female (Rosie), and we have had standard poodles professionally groomed for 15 years. PetSmart is fine for purchases of supplies and food - we regularly shop there - but we will return to another professional groomer. My advice: stay away from PetSmart’s Reston grooming salon. PetSmart management should refund at least one half of the amount spent on the female: $97.00 but crediting the credit card used in this transaction.

Original review: April 30, 2018

PetSmart Grooming is extremely negligent. I had dropped my cat off for grooming, on a day where they accept cats for grooming. I had made an appointment days prior with the cat groomer. I picked up my pet after her grooming, and from the moment we entered home and saw her sitting, noticed that she had extremely heavy breathing. Her entire head would move, her mouth was open and it was terrifying. I took her for an appointment at the Bradford hospital within PetSmart for the following morning. They ran tests and pinned it on her own condition of a heart murmur. But truthfully, something in her grooming experience is what triggered all this.

She is on medication now. It's been months, but the dryers is what I believe triggered her breathing problem. PetSmart should never do grooming again because coming on this site, I realized and learned how many pets leave with this condition, some even falling victim to death. PetSmart didn't take responsibility and didn't even take initiative to account for the hospital visit that all started there. I truly believe, that no pet owner should leave their pets with the grooming service here. It's such a huge risk. My pet is on lifelong medication now. Even if it was a predisposed condition, it was all triggered with the experience at the groomers here.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I take my dogs once or twice a year to get groomed. The first time I took one of my dogs I was told when I picked her up that she didn’t like the dryers and needed to be air dried and to remind them next time I bring her in. Last year when I brought her back I reminded them that she didn’t like the dryers and she needed to be air dried. When I went to pick her up they told me, "Didn’t you know that she doesn’t like to be in the dryer and she needs to be aired dried?"

I reminded them that I didn’t tell them when I dropped her off that she didn’t like the dryers and needed to be air dried. When I called a little while ago to get another appointment They told me that in their system she was create. They told me that in their system Was notes showing that she is a biter and they are not going to accept her back. When I went to cancel all the appointments for my other dogs I heard the gentleman in a snarky voice turn around and say everything that I had just said to him. I called PetSmart back and I spoke to a manager. I will never use PetSmart again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

PetSmart has been grooming my 2 old poodles for 13 years and my younger poodle for 8 years, ever since they were nine weeks old. I took my three poodles to PetSmart and their new policy states that the dog has to willingly walk to the back. My 8-year-old poodle is blind. She expects to be carried when we are out because she cannot see. At home she knows where her bowl and puppy pad are and she knows the furniture placement. At PetSmart, she can't see where she is going so she sat down and waited. Why. Because she is blind.

PetSmart has groomed her for 8 years. Today they denied service because she refused to walk to the back. PetSmart knows she is blind. They were told three times that day that she is blind. I wrote to PetSmart customer service and explained that she is blind and won't walk on leash. PetSmart sent it to the store manager who said, "Sorry it is the new policy," and they will never groom her again because she won't walk on a leash back to the cages. So now I have to find a new groomer. This is the Brandon Florida PetSmart on State Road 60 and the manager is Sandra. Please avoid PetSmart. They are uncaring and heartless. If your dog is handicapped, they discriminate against her.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Today, 04/23/2018 I walked into PetSmart at 9:00 a.m, only to be greeted by an ungodly smell of filth. My wife were the very 1st people in the store when they opened. There was garbage all over the floors, like paper, hair, dirt, looked like poop. Plus the smell was terrible. When mentioned to one employee, he said he couldn't smell anything and asked where it was dirty. I said "are you kidding". I said look, garbage all over the floor. It was thru out the store. Not just one place. There was dirt and hair and dried up what looked like pee and poop. It was very obvious they do not clean during off hours.

Original review: April 23, 2018

WARNING... stop taking your pet to be groomed here! After reading the reviews after our horrible experience makes me so much more upset that I didn’t look before-hand. I was so thrilled that they could work my dog in on a Saturday and asked if I could just drop him off due to having a meeting, they said YES, even better I thought... WRONG!! I arrived and got our dog back to the grooming department... a different lady checked us in then who I made the appointment, she was irritated I was early and that I would be leaving him and tried to tell me I couldn’t... but the lady I made an appointment with spoke up and told me it was okay... I was pleased at this point.

About 15 min after I left the nightmare began. I got a phone call as I was about to step in my meeting that they rushed the dog to the Banfield Vet because our dog threw up blood and couldn’t breathe. I was in complete shock, he’s young and had been to the vet the prior week with a NO health issues at all and I’ve never had issues with him. I canceled my meeting and flew up there. When I arrived the vet came out and spoke with me. I really have no complaints with the VET. She was very nice and informative and I do believe she did her best. When I got to see him... his eyes were bloodshot, his tongue had lost most coloring and he was on oxygen... the VET thought it was an infection etc. His airways were swollen.

I knew he wasn’t sick. Took him home and monitored him very closely. About 2 hrs later he was acting much more normal. Another medical person looked at him the following day and the only thing that can seems plausible is that someone drug him by a leash/collar as he had a welp and hot spot develop that was not there upon dropping him off. We never use a collar on him as he doesn’t do well with them.

Not sure about PetSmart?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Stores for you.

PetSmart Company Information

www.petsmart.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business