2.99/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

1035 PetSmart Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 23, 2019

I didn't see this issue anywhere online regarding the PetSmart's Online store. There is a promotion running for Treats members where free shipping is offered for orders over $49 (before Taxes). In the promotion details it states that this discount is reflected in the Order Summary (after you have submitted the purchase.. go figure...). However in my experience, that didn't happen. Order summary showed a shipping charge and the pending charge for my bank showed the same total amount. This was for an order in June 2019.

I sent an email to PetSmart's customer service and got a reply a few hours later. Apparently what happened was a glitch (no details provided, not that I needed to know since the issue was on their end and their business to fix whatever defects in their software) and that they would be refunding the shipping charge. So as of now, I am awaiting that refund. Summary: Had an issue, I reached out, customer service responded accordingly. Just submitted this in case anyone else experienced the same. Giving 5 stars since as a developer I understand software isn't always perfect 100% of the time and got a quick response.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Very nice store and employees are quite helpful. I would not purchase a dog or cat from them, but I would go to the pound to rescue one. Been trading with PetSmart for over 15 years. Never had a problem. Also get dog bathed there. They do a very nice job. You need to watch your groomer and decide which one would be best for you and your dog. Then they build a relationship and things go well.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I go to PetSmart when I know exactly I want. I have two elderly dogs, and three young cats. One dog and two cats require specialty food that I either buy at PetSmart or order through chewy.com. The products are always available at both places. Hours are convenient at PetSmart, and delivery of pet food is usually between one and two days at chewy.com. There is very little personal service at PetSmart, so I don't go to gain knowledge about pet food, harnesses versus leashes, or treats. I can read online reviews at chewy.com, and I do before I buy a particular product. The reviews are very helpful in determining how to meet pet needs that are outside veterinarian care.

I have gone to three different independent pet food stores in Austin. While service clerks tried to be helpful, they were not as informative as chewy.com reviews. They also did not carry the specialty dog and cat foods that three of my pets require. I do prefer to shop local and independent businesses. I have chronic back pain, so having big bags of dry food and cases of canned food delivered to my door by chewy.com is a really valuable service. They are also very fast to process an order; typically, not more than one or two days. Otherwise, I don't buy grocery items online.

Original review: March 17, 2019

PetSmart has a wide variety of goods but might consider adding dog treats free of preservatives that are crunchy and not gummy for daily use. Their recommendations were for a gummy treat that definitely doesn't help tartar build-up. When shopping for a simple acrylic sweater, I only found a wide assortment of coats for our dog. She needed an acrylic sweater for indoor use, for the chilly nights just after a clipping. Dog food is another area of wide choices, but few with all-natural ingredients. It's a nice atmosphere, well-planned with good staff but the choices could include the non-standard fare.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I use PetSmart as my primary pet store for dog and cat food, treats and toys. Also for cat litter. The store associates are mostly knowledgeable and friendly. I also get my dog groomed at PetSmart. The records are in the computer so when I recently moved to another state the grooming records were there. They have sales and I get coupons in my email—most recently $10 off grooming!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: July 22, 2019

I was dropping my dog Missy off for grooming when I saw a dog being hit in front of me on a grooming table. Because I had used the same groomer many times for my dog before and was a regular I think she made a mistake in front of me which I called her on. My dog I was dropping off is older and had been there many times before. When she was there she had a hard time standing for the grooming. So I had her after that taken to the vet for medications for inflammation, arthritis and pain meds for the problem. So later three weeks I called for an appointment for grooming at the Maplewood, MN location and they said, "no you are not allowed to bring your dog here again. Take her to a vet for grooming or put her down," I was told.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Pet Hotel. Very disappointed with the hotel. My dog went in healthy and ended up with kennel cough. So ended up with a vet bill. My dog won't be back. The staff messed up his billing for the vet, very disappointed. ????

Original review: July 12, 2019

I took my toy poodles to get groomed at the Council Bluffs PetSmart, and picked them up and one has bloody eyeballs! I will NEVER EVER EVER TAKE MY DOGS THERE EVER AGAIN! Sick to my stomach that my poor dog had to go through this. Wouldn’t take my dog back there for $1,000.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Saki's appt. was at 9:45 drop off. There at 9:15. They stated 4 hrs. which would be approx. 2:30 for p/u. At 3:00 they had done nothing for him. No tests of any kind, just sitting in his cage. I picked him up. I told them I would not allow him to sit all day because they overbook as it is all about money. I feel 4.5 hrs. is long enough. While I was waiting for Saki, they are still verifying in office appts. for 3:30 and later. They hadn't even finished with 22 other dogs that they booked at 9:45.

Basically the vet said Saki would have been there until 6:00-7:00. Which I asked for her to call. There is no way I will do that. It is hard enough on them. Canceling my membership with them and never going back. On top of all that the afternoon receptionist was rude. They are in trouble anyway. Might be filing for bankruptcy. My old vet I finally found again and I will be traveling a longer distance, but she treats animals very nicely and does her best to get them in and out as soon as possible.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I have a 1 yr old golden doodle... lively, friendly and a four legged hurricane. I took her to be groomed on June 27th 2019 at the Puyallup South Hill PetSmart groomers. I have had her groomed once before. No problems. This time the groomer said something was wrong with her ears. Bright Red coloration. This was not the case when she went in. Got home and she barfed up her entire morning meal. Then proceeded to scratch her ears and butt scoot all over the floor. Looked at her butt and the entire perianal region was razor-burned down to the skin and was red and bloody. Went to Vet. Had x-rays, blood work, the whole physical thing. Got meds for the ears and her butt along with tranquilizers to keep her quiet for a couple of days. All to the tune of $500.00. Very disappointed that the groomer did this to my dog. At least she said to have her ears checked. Vet said it was a allergic reaction to something put on her skin. Never going back again.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Until recently, when we needed to make or change an appointment, we called our local PetSmart. Now, you can only call an 800 number, at which time you are always told there will be a 20-minute wait. Every time you call. Then, after waiting that long, you can assume the customer rep won't actually do anything. So go online? Those appointments won't show up for 48 hours - by design. The staff - who are really great - say the online experience never works. So, if you can't call, and can't go online, what do you do? PetSmart is saving money with a terrible online platform and a centralized customer service line. Too bad - they've lost my money.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I want to give ZERO rating but there is no ZERO selection. This happens 6/27/2019 at the Puente Hills PetSmart. Veronica refused to accept my return of cat food. It was open bag purchased 5 months ago. When my cat threw it up, it is about time to change cat food. Puente Hills location some staffs members are not friendly. Veronica called herself as a Mgr. at the Puente Hills store & did not know PetSmart return policy. Store policies have to be honor.

Following are their return policy for my situation: "Returns or exchanges without a receipt or with a receipt older than 60 days: Bring the product and a valid ID to any store and a merchandise return card for the most recent sale amount will be issued. If making an exchange, any positive balance will be refunded in the original form of tender." Do not visit Puente Hills PetSmart store. Some staff members are not friendly.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Worst experience I've had at a groomer ever. People who have seen her basically said she looked like a 3-year-old took some scissors to her. It's bad enough when your dog LOOKS awful - but when they are so traumatized they come home and sit in your lap for hours, and haven't completely recovered weeks later? This was not a first time grooming dog. She had been several times before without incident. We have no clue what happened, but were only told "she was crying and we couldn't finish." (They did, however, charge us for the service!) Yet this dog NEVER cries and LOVES to be brushed and handled.

After I calmed down, I reached out to customer service TWICE and have yet to receive anything other than a call from the groomer who left a voicemail message while I was at work - two WEEKS after it happened wanting to make sure "HE" was okay ... despite the fact that I had said many times it was a "SHE." The name isn't a big deal, but it's just a perfect example of the total lack of concern exhibited by everyone from corporate customer service who sent "canned" emails down to the local management, as far as I can tell. I was again promised a return call - never received it. I WAS offered $10 if I came in and spent $40. HA HA HA I will NEVER step foot in a PetSmart for ANY purpose ever again!

As a follow up - we took our poor baby to John Paul's in Grand Prairie after this fiasco. They were WONDERFUL, our dog was HAPPY and looked as beautiful as a poor shaved Bichon Frise can, and it was LESS expensive!!! Please do a better job than I did of researching PetSmart before you try them - the internet is replete with how horrible they are.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I purchased a bird cage from PetSmart's online store about a month ago, and can positively say I will never shop with them again. I selected 2 day shipping for my cage, yet the order was "processing" for FOUR DAYS. I figured there was something going on so I called their customer service line to get the situation solved, where they then informed me my cage was a "special order" but they hadn't gotten around to listing it as such on their site. This meant it would take 8-12 days to ship!! I needed the cage sooner than that and found the same cage on Amazon for $30 less and with same day shipping. I called again to cancel my order and they told me they could only "put in a request to cancel it" and that I would find out in 3-5 business days if it was cancelled.

10 DAYS LATER I got an email saying it was cancelled and that once the return processed I would be refunded. 2 WEEKS go by with no refund so I called them AGAIN. They said it had processed the week earlier and they don't know why I haven't received my refund. They put in a request for me to finally receive my refund and here I am, still waiting for it. This has been the worst customer service experience I've ever had, and I can't believe a business could be this unorganized. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ONLINE FROM HERE.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Nearly 2 months ago I purchased a black molly, red wag platy and cory catfish (against my better judgment because I had to notify a less than enthusiastic employee of dead fish in the tanks). As I had gotten them acclimated and settled in their new home, I noticed that their dorsal and tail fins were very opaque, and the platy actually was missing about 1/3 of his dorsal fin. The last thing I really expected upon buying new fish was having to treat them of a disease right away. Although I got the situation under control for a while, the cory catfish and black molly both took a turn for the worse despite all of the efforts I put into treating them. The catfish died, and my molly is seeming worse by the day with his lethargy and refusal to eat. The platy seems to be doing fine, however they should not have been sold with a disease that is among the most preventable - simply just a clean tank.

I was offered to return them for new fish, but I didn't want to simply return fish that would be resold or killed. I have put so much more money into trying to treat these fish than I paid for them, and while I'm more than happy to do that, it is simply absurd. They need to be stripped of their right to sell any living creature as they are incapable of hiring and training people how to care for them properly.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Broke my grandson's heart when we did not get the kitten. I'm sure the animal went to a who frequented the store undermining our perfect application ignorant and rude making a fool out of us. Pittsburgh Cats also made a fool out of us. Told us we were not in the running because my 16 year old cat died. How dare they, Kathy.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I took my pom for one week while I went on vacation, took him absolutely clean and fluffy and when I got him back he was full of poop and really smelly. His hair was all tangle with knots. He looked really sad and afraid. I left my friends as contact and they went to check on him and said they never seen him so sad and dirty. Will never take him there and recommend no one does.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I love PetSmart. Don't get me wrong - but the only thing they need to do is stop selling parakeets that are too young! They shouldn't be sold before 8 weeks yet I see them in the store at 5-6 weeks old!!! The breeder/supplier should know better. Just in it for the money. Second of all, stop clipping the wings the wrong way! You clip the 1st 4 in on both sides. No more. They clip them all the way down and when the keets try to jump from one perch to another, they drop like lead. Go ahead and try it. Jump off the sofa and land directly on your stomach and see how it feels time after time. Clipping the 1st 4 lets them glide down so they don't hurt themselves. Either hire someone that knows what they are doing or don't do it at all.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Ok we go to PetSmart every other week to pick up dog food. While we were there we my teen daughter decided to get a fish - A Molly. Well that fish didn't stay alive even for 10 hours. Before anyone ask I have had fish for 30 some yrs. So we know how to take care of the water and get all the goodies that go with it. So we took the fish back and my daughter really liked the Molly. So she want the same kind. While my hubby and daughter were there my hubby got me a fish too. It was a GloFish Moonrise Tetra and wouldn't you know both fish have die again. At this point we are gong to go and get are money back and never buy fish there ever again. Heck we have gotten fish at Wal-Mart and they have last 10 plus years. So you can guess where we will be buying our next fish from. I will say they have always been really nice there and the place is very clean considering that animals and people are coming and going from the store. (Mentor, Ohio)

Original review: May 13, 2019

Took my 10 month old puppy (** spaniel mix) to get groomed at store located at 2160 Jericho Turnpike, Commack, NY 11725. Most horrendous experience! She is traumatized and won't even let me get near her. They butchered her cut, buzz cut her with all 4 paws left long - groomer stated 'dog was difficult, wanted to bite. THEY SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED ME and made me aware instead of bullying her and making her get that horrible cut. They took all her beautiful curls buzzed them to the skin and my dog may never be able to take a grooming again. Shame on them, for charging me $100 for this abusive experience, will NEVER take them to a PetSmart nor even shop for my pets there again. Groomers were dismissive and blamed the dog... DO NOT get your pets groomed there... they abuse them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

PetSmart groomed my dog and she came home unrecognizable! What a butcher job!! The manager of the Plymouth Meeting, PA store grooming made such a mess of her it will take months for her to look like a cockapoo again. She should go back to school for grooming and never touch another dog before she does!! Our dog is anxious about grooming but has never come out looking like this, what a disgrace! If you can't do the job then just don't do it!!!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Called on the phone to see how much it would cost to get my dog's nails trimmed. She said to bring her right in. There was no waiting. At most I'd wait a couple minutes. She did not tell me they did not have chairs. She did not tell me I'd be holding my dog for 20 minutes while she called a groomer current. She did not tell me that I would have to provide shot records for my dog which is out of state and I'm unable to get the records although she's up to date. Just a couple of things that she could have said on the phone that would have saved me about an hour and a half of time and some very sore arms. My dog is heavy. Her name was Sophia. Very rude. Not a keeper. I would never have her working for me. You want people that are going to help their clients not hurt them.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Placed order and on PetSmart Canadian website it says that members get free 1-2 day shipping as long as your order is over $49. I placed my order on the 28th. So my order should of been here on Tuesday. It didn’t come. Now when I track the order it says next Tuesday, May 7th!! I phoned customer service and she said that she didn’t have FedEx tracking number, I offered it to her because I had it. However she said she didn’t want it because FedEx won’t take their calls!! Seriously??

This is false advertising on their part. She said she could give me 10% on my next purchase. You can tell this is their standard procedure. I told her my pets needed their food before next week, she didn’t care and offered me again the 10% off next order.... There won’t be a next time. Usually customer service would check into why the order is not delivered in time, not this company, they could care less!

Original review: April 28, 2019

It was nothing I went thru. But I go often. And see the dogs getting groomed in the window. And every time I see the groomers not very nice to the dogs. Never do they talk to them to help calm them. Or pay much attention at all to how they are doing. It's nothing like the commercials that are on TV. Where the dog is happy to be there or the groomer is happy to see the dog. Because it's not that way. They handle the dogs rough. You can see the dog is nervous. But they don't care. It's just getting that paycheck. They need to be talked to and told to at least fake like they care. People how do you just believe you can trust them. We use to be able to trust things like that. Not anymore. At least stay and watch. That way they will have to be kind to your dog. Thank you. I hope this helps someone's dog.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I decided to let PetSmart Pet hotel board my 2 expensive bullies while I traveled to Destin FL for my wedding. My dogs are 2 and 1 yrs old. I have never had a problem with them boarding my older pet but my younger has never been boarded before. They were there for 6 days which must have been an awful experience for my younger pup. Once we picked them up it was obvious she had been left in urine for quite some time because her beautiful black and white coat was now black and yellow/brown from urine. I took her home and tried to shampoo her with whitening shampoo and that did not help. So I called PetSmart and spoke to someone, informed them of what happened and she agreed that when I brought her in her coat was Snow White and they should have never sent her home that way.

Although I did not request an exit bath which probably would not have helped anyway, they could have at least wiped her paws and neck off. They made her an appointment with the groomers and refunded me 1 day stay which I had to use to pay the groomers and then comped me a free day for each of my pets. To say the least after the groomers bathed her she is still discolored and the pet hotel said there is nothing else they could do but recommend I bath her several time with whitening shampoo. I am very frustrated because my dogs are really expensive, crate trained and have never been left in urine. They will never get my business again as my husband and I travel a lot throughout the year.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Grooming - dog left wet, so when I picked him up he was already starting to get that wet dog smell. Money wasted. Store - store is just crappy. Half the stuff in the cat section is boxes busted open, supplies isn’t kept stocked, and there aren’t many options for litter pan liners so if they are out of their brand, too bad. Charities and corporate - manager bullied until charity pulled out, now cats from another charity aren’t cared for well enough as there is tons of poop left in litter boxes at all times and the cats are in dirty environments.

Corporate doesn’t give a rip. Was on the phone with them for an hour about the situation, they tell you how much they care and that they will update you, but I never heard anything back about any situation. They don’t care about animals. Just money. This is sad to me. I used to donate to PetSmart charities every time I went in, but I will never return. I even stopped ordering my cat and dog foods and litter from Chewy since it is owned by this terrible company. I would rather pay more elsewhere than give anything else to PetSmart.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I took my Goldendoodle to be cut down for summer. I could not get our regular groomer who has always done great with Grommet so I agreed To have another groomer. I should have trusted my gut. Poor Grommet was shaved with a 10 blade that must have been dull. He has so many razor burns and cuts that he’s totally miserable. I wrote the company but no response. I will take him to the vet to be treated. I don’t know she may have ruined him for any other groomers.

Original review: April 16, 2019

While shopping in Buckhead, GA PetSmart, I observed 15 plus dogs in one small area. The two caregivers would bang a mop stick on the floor to stop the animals from barking and would spray the animals in the face with a water bottle to curb unwanted behavior. I contacted corporate who didn't get back to me until I followed up with two more phone calls. When the store manager called, he admitted this is what they do in the store to calm to dogs???? Please do your homework folks, do NOT drop your dogs off at PetSmart Doggy Daycare. It's a glorified caged environment and the dogs are being scared into submission. So sad!

Original review: April 14, 2019

Visiting Petsmart at the outer loop and others within the Louisville, KY area, we have found the lack of empathy and consistency in the lack of providing world class customer service to be the same across the board. After standing in the fish department for ten minutes we had to interrupt the associate from playing in the fish tank. Interested in the 125 gallon tank, there was no price and the associate had to locate the price. Then began to tell us the only "new" tank was the floor model and that is the only way they sell it. However in the next breath told us someone bought the one in the box in the back.

Maddie at the outer loop told us the cost of the tank and told us "take it or leave it". She had no respect for us as customers. We asked for a discount because it was the floor model, she told us "it's just dust, take it or leave it". We asked her for the manager, it took 10 minutes for another employee to come to the front. Maddie began to tell Courtney (the manager with no name tag) "they want the fish tank but they don't want that one". She spoke in a tone like we had to take the fish tank and were wrong as customers because we wanted it in a box. There was no protection for the tank nor the stand. Courtney didn't even want to speak to us until I asked her for her name and title. Then she repeated what Maddie said, "take it or leave it".

No empathy no care for me as a customer. More along the lines of, "Give me your money. Take the product. If you jack it up on the way home oh well." Who sells stuff like that? I'd rather spend my money someplace where they care about my wants and needs as a customer and the products I purchase from them. I would advise people to not use this company until they require their employees to undergo customer relationship training.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My review is about the grooming services of PetSmart Leaside. A typical charge for a small dog is about $54 dollars from Monday-Thursday, if you want to book on a weekend they will charge you extra money about 3-4 dollars. The biggest problem for me was that the groomer wanted the dog clean and no tangles. Obviously a dog will always have a tangle or two, however I was advise that I would have to pay about $20 dollars extra. At the end it would had end up close to $100 dollars after tax just for small dog grooming. Is this fair? I don't think a hairdresser from a well known salon charges that much for a haircut including blow dry. For sure they don't charge extra to book on a weekday or if you have a tangle or messy hear.

The worst part of my experience is that when I express my dissatisfaction with the groomer, she confronted me, making me feel discriminated because I am not like the rich people in the area as I am complaining about the extra charge. Yes I take care of every penny I spend, but I also pay when it is fair. In this situation it was unfair as my dog had no tangles in a way that will required extra work for the groomer, and the way the lady responded. Of course I was feeling treated unfair so I was doubting proceeding with the service. The groomer view was take it or leave it, of course that was the attitude as they feel supported by the monopolistic power of the company they represent. She asked me to find another groomer and that I should never come back there and thank me for making her waste her time.

PetSmart Company Information