3.73/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

1040 PetSmart Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

On 8-29-2019, I visited PetSmart in East Greenbush NY. Its mailing addresses is Rensselaer. I was looking for a particular brand and type of food for my dog, a yorkie, that we feed her. I was having trouble finding the product I was interested in. An employee by the name of Erica saw this and asked if I needed help, which I did. She checked the shelves with me and she to could not find the product. She then checked the back stockroom, no avail. She then called several other stores to see if they had the item I wanted. They did not. She then searched to see what the store offered that was similar to what we were using and advised me of a product that was close to it.

She was very helpful in helping me as well as patient with, and acted truly concerned, as to helping me meet my needs. I was extremely impressed with her treatment of me as a customer and her desire to assist me in making my visit to the store and helping me meet my needs. When I went to check out, the line to do so had numerous people in it. She immediately went to a closed register and proceeded to check out customers. Customer service like this will keep me and others coming back to this store. My receipt number is **.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I didn't see this issue anywhere online regarding the PetSmart's Online store. There is a promotion running for Treats members where free shipping is offered for orders over $49 (before Taxes). In the promotion details it states that this discount is reflected in the Order Summary (after you have submitted the purchase.. go figure...). However in my experience, that didn't happen. Order summary showed a shipping charge and the pending charge for my bank showed the same total amount. This was for an order in June 2019.

I sent an email to PetSmart's customer service and got a reply a few hours later. Apparently what happened was a glitch (no details provided, not that I needed to know since the issue was on their end and their business to fix whatever defects in their software) and that they would be refunding the shipping charge. So as of now, I am awaiting that refund. Summary: Had an issue, I reached out, customer service responded accordingly. Just submitted this in case anyone else experienced the same. Giving 5 stars since as a developer I understand software isn't always perfect 100% of the time and got a quick response.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Very nice store and employees are quite helpful. I would not purchase a dog or cat from them, but I would go to the pound to rescue one. Been trading with PetSmart for over 15 years. Never had a problem. Also get dog bathed there. They do a very nice job. You need to watch your groomer and decide which one would be best for you and your dog. Then they build a relationship and things go well.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I go to PetSmart when I know exactly I want. I have two elderly dogs, and three young cats. One dog and two cats require specialty food that I either buy at PetSmart or order through chewy.com. The products are always available at both places. Hours are convenient at PetSmart, and delivery of pet food is usually between one and two days at chewy.com. There is very little personal service at PetSmart, so I don't go to gain knowledge about pet food, harnesses versus leashes, or treats. I can read online reviews at chewy.com, and I do before I buy a particular product. The reviews are very helpful in determining how to meet pet needs that are outside veterinarian care.

I have gone to three different independent pet food stores in Austin. While service clerks tried to be helpful, they were not as informative as chewy.com reviews. They also did not carry the specialty dog and cat foods that three of my pets require. I do prefer to shop local and independent businesses. I have chronic back pain, so having big bags of dry food and cases of canned food delivered to my door by chewy.com is a really valuable service. They are also very fast to process an order; typically, not more than one or two days. Otherwise, I don't buy grocery items online.

Original review: March 17, 2019

PetSmart has a wide variety of goods but might consider adding dog treats free of preservatives that are crunchy and not gummy for daily use. Their recommendations were for a gummy treat that definitely doesn't help tartar build-up. When shopping for a simple acrylic sweater, I only found a wide assortment of coats for our dog. She needed an acrylic sweater for indoor use, for the chilly nights just after a clipping. Dog food is another area of wide choices, but few with all-natural ingredients. It's a nice atmosphere, well-planned with good staff but the choices could include the non-standard fare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

If you buy an item at petfart, keep your receipt because they just about get angry and treat you like crap. Fat balding rude manager with no people skills. Go anywhere but PetSmart. Petco is much much better!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

If you love (or even like your dogs) NEVER NEVER take your dogs to PetSmart in Clifton Park for Grooming! Our Dogs are very calm but within 3 minutes of going into the grooming salon, our dogs were treated horribly. One of our dogs was made to wait in a back room while paperwork was "reviewed". The groomers (managers), untrained workers kept questioning my wife about the paperwork ALL CERTIFIED by a VET. Our Dogs are very upset which in turn makes me VERY ANGRY. Our Dogs go into puppy care daily and they love other dogs and people which clearly indicated that there is no training or love of pets at PETSMART. The name may be PetSMART but the workers are NOT SMART. BE SMART and NEVER GO TO PET "SMART". HORRIBLE IS THE NICEST THING I CAN SAY!

Original review: July 29, 2019

My Samoyed got skunked on Thursday night. I bathed her area of skunking (Head/mouth/eyes) twice but I could still smell skunk. I have my professional groomer that I take my dog to every 3 months. I called her but she was unable to remove the skunk smell so I called PetSmart. They were able to fit me in for 8am today.

When I was dropping her off, the young girl said her back legs are a little matted and may need a little shaving down. My groomer uses the term shave her bum and back legs close so I went with it. I said, "It’s ok if you need to do that. Let me know if you need to". She called me at 8:22 to say that she needed to. She said she would be giving her breaks so it would take approximately 3.5 hours. I thought that was a little long but my professional groomer usually takes around 3 hours. When it had been 4 plus hours, I called. They said another hour to 2. I thought this is ridiculous but I thought they were giving her extra breaks as she stated. I just wanted my baby home at this point. Finally they called after 7 hours. When I got there, I said I hope someone took her outside to go during this time. They didn’t know.

They didn’t seem right. The girl went to get her and when she was walking out, she had her eyes peeled on me to see my reaction. They had shaved my Samoyed head to toe. I almost went into shock. I started crying. They are not qualified to take care of pets if the people working there do not know never to shave a Samoyed. She has two layers of protection for a reason. Now she looks like a skinned rat. I am mortified by what they have done to my baby. I started to panic. There is absolutely nothing you can do at this point. You can’t put it back on. They said, "You gave us the ok to do this". I said, "Why on earth would I ever ok my Samoyed to be completely shaven". I would never do such a thing.

I have had her for 12 years and she has never been shaven. They knew that I gave the ok to fix up her back leg and shave down the bum area. That’s what my groomer always does. I never approved her to be completely shaved. Also she was only sprayed by the skunk in the face so why do you feel the need to completely ruin a dogs coat by shaving it all off. I am in shock. My dog is in shock. My whole family is devastated by this. We don’t know that it will ever grow back and if it does, what it will look like.

Don’t take your pet to Petsmart. They are not so smart. Poor Tessa. What a shame that they couldn’t have said hey “are you authorizing us to completely shave your dog head to toe?" Then I would have said, "WHAT, NO". They did not tell me or ask me if they could do this. The Manager knew they were in the wrong. She said, "You don’t need to pay. I can tell you are upset". I said, "Upset. I am fuming right now. What have you guys done".

Never go to Petsmart for grooming. We are very devastated by this occurrence and Tessa is very upset. It is not the same dog that I dropped off there. Something happened. Our theory is they started shaving, severely messed it up and kept going and then didn’t know how to fix her. So they decided to blame me. I can not believe how rude and nasty the Manager was. She said it was my fault that they needed to do this and I don’t take care of my dog. I love my dog and I normally take her to a professional groomer. So many regrets this weekend. I am just hoping her fur grows out ok and that she feels better tomorrow and is back to her old self. Not sad, like tonight.

Original review: July 28, 2019

July 10 2019 order online $700.00 item from PetSmart. I could have got item from Amazon. But foolish me I went with PetSmart. Today July 28, 2019 nothing! No real tracking number. Contacted customer service. Told several time by online customer service different statements and stories. I will not order again from PetSmart. Amazon forever. Now as I type told item will be delivered July 29, 2019. I will not hold my breath.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I was dropping my dog Missy off for grooming when I saw a dog being hit in front of me on a grooming table. Because I had used the same groomer many times for my dog before and was a regular I think she made a mistake in front of me which I called her on. My dog I was dropping off is older and had been there many times before. When she was there she had a hard time standing for the grooming. So I had her after that taken to the vet for medications for inflammation, arthritis and pain meds for the problem. So later three weeks I called for an appointment for grooming at the Maplewood, MN location and they said, "no you are not allowed to bring your dog here again. Take her to a vet for grooming or put her down," I was told.

PetSmart Company Information