3.5/5 (5074 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About PetSmart

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

PetSmart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Took my 9month old Shih Tzu to PetSmart 1/14/23 to be insulted by employees who obviously didn't want to put the time in to groom my puppy. She needed a bath and a haircut. They wanted to shave her. I said, "No. I do not want her shaved." She had 2 pieces of matted hair size of a quarter max. They then tell me they don't dematt the dogs. The girl Regina who was to groom her looked at the clock before walking over to retrieve the pup. The mngr I presume is looking at computer so I'm guessing the girl overbooked her appointments for $94 before taxes and tip and you can't commit to a bath, cut and comb, then they don't belong in the grooming business. These people (groomers) want a lot of money to do the basic bare minimum. Now for the money they charge they need to commit to a 3 hour grooming. Then an employee of above store comments on social media who didn't get anywhere near my puppy wants to say she was severely matted.

I got a comb, brush, and bank account to put up to the mngr who stands behind his employees' rudeness telling me they're trained to recognize matted dogs. Needs to put up his money along with his rude employees. Winner takes all. Employee's words: Barbara **, Maryland PetSmart. "I'm sorry we were unable to groom your dog due to the severe matting near the skin." I wish I could upload a picture/video of my severely matted dog because everyone would see that is clearly not even close.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I purchased a fish tank from PetSmart in Madison, WI at the east side location in June and some fish. The first batch of fish didn't last long, so we got more, and a few didn't make it so we got more. No this is not my first fish tank. Now today I wake up and there is water all over because it looks like the bottom of the tanks seal is broken. I call store nothing they can do call customer service they tell me it's up to the store location. So now I'm going to have to buy my daughter another tank. Not very happy and will not return to them in the future.

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

Nov 24th - purchase items on the website that say they are in stock at my store. Send half my order to a store nowhere close to me. Same day or from a second store closer to me. Items say are in stock. That is not the case once again. I used afterpay to purchased said items. Call customer service and so far on hold for 17mins waiting to speak to a supervisor about why the total amount is showing on my afterpay account still as owing. 147.97 is now 70.03, 111.84 is now 28.24 and full amount is saying it is owed still. Petsmart says It is up to me to call in to have the afterpay amount adjusted?? That's a scam. If people do not know this, they can end up paying for the full amount for stuff they didn't receive? This needs to be fixed.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

When ordering from their website for store pick up often the website displays that the item is available and allows you to process your transaction charging your credit card. When you receive a response from the individual store for the brick-and-mortar pick up some of the items that displayed as available and have been charged to your credit card are in fact not available. There is no way to cancel the remainder of the items in the order and receive credit to your credit card without going to the store or waiting a week for you the customer to not pick up the item and then hoping that someone in the store process the refund in some timely fashion after that week has passed. PetSmart needs to stop deceiving their customers and holding their money hostage.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Store 0246 West Wichita, KS. I am absolutely horrified at what I’ve seen the last 3 days. On Wednesday, the cat adoption center was disgusting. It had obviously been days (if not weeks) since their cages had been cleaned. One poor cat’s litter was clumped together with days’ worth of feces. Another cat has a poop stain on his chest fur-I smelled him. A few had been adopted, but their cages were still full of dirty litter and poop. I tried to express my concerns to the manager, Allan, but he brushed me off with “we’re trying to work on it, we’re short-staffed.” I don’t care if you’re short-staffed; the animals are your *first priority*.

After seeing how bad the cats were, I checked on the small animals. The parakeets were totally out of seed or had filthy water. The Guinea pigs had NO water. The hamster cages were disgusting. I went back to the store to see if things had been fixed. The cats had been taken care of. That’s it. The same animals from Wed night had no food or water. The cashier was on her phone. I asked to speak to the store manager, Bradley. He said he wasn't going to make excuses; he “made a bad choice and didn't think about checking the small mammals for food and water before he did a deep cleaning in the cat adoption room.” The pet care worker was JUST starting to do food and water at 3 pm, 20 hours after I called corporate and SIX HOURS AFTER THEY OPENED. The fish looked terrible too.

I told the store manager I know everywhere is short-staffed right now. But if you can’t make sure that your animals are fed and have water—you shouldn’t have these animals. How do you not know how to delegate and prioritize so—if nothing else—your animals have food and water?! He said he has to have a “coaching conversation” with whomever was supposed to take care of the cats. (The nice way of saying this employee was getting a write-up.) But if you—the manager—can’t make sure that they’re okay after a week or however long it’s been? You both should be fired. I went back today to see if they’d fixed everything.

Today, 2 cats had disgusting litter again. Another one’s water was dirty. The small mammals had mostly been taken care of, but one hamster was out of water. I brought it up to Allan, and he said that it shouldn’t be, they just took care of them yesterday. Then he blamed it on a leaky water bottle and said he would “get to it when they had a chance” as “they were extremely busy and short-staffed; there are only 3 people working.”

They always only schedule 3 people on mid-shifts, or at least that’s how it was 8 years ago. They also weren’t busy at all while we were there. There were less than 5 people/families in the store. My best friend and I mentioned how they had several dead fish—he blamed it on a new delivery. (Same with 95% of the crickets being dead.) I mentioned the betta water, which according to Bradley—the store manager—was supposed to be changed on Wednesday. Allan blamed it on the lights that sit below them (which weren’t even on) making the betta water go bad in 2 days. Half of them were fine; they obviously just haven’t taken care of them. He was extremely rude the whole time.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for these *pet store* employees to take care of the pets. I get being short-staffed; not having inventory put out on the floor or having a dirty/messy store is understandable. Not feeding or watering the animals, not providing clean litter or bedding, not pulling dead fish so the others don’t get sick—that is inexcusable. Period. Bradley and Allan both should not be working for a pet store. It should not take me, a customer, going back every day to make sure these animals are getting the care they need.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

We went to the grooming salon with our Pamapoo puppy to get a bath haircut and nail trim. Gary was really loving on cocoa our puppy and really cared about the puppy’s feeling, he also got a picture of when he was in the bath for us, he did a very good job.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

Today, August 21, 2022, I left my dog for about 5 hours at the PetSmart on Route 10 in East Hanover. When we picked him up, his bottomless completely saturated with Pee. We were told that the saturation was “just a little happy pee” from seeing me and my wife. We have experienced “happy pee” with our Dog and this clearly was not the case. My guess is that he was ignored and allowed to sit in his own urine for hours. I am sure I am not the first to have a negative experience with the Pet Daycare and someone has to look at the overall purpose of this Daycare as they are clearly not providing the service that they are charging consumers for.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Avoid PetSmart! Terrible customer service. Screwing around with prescription dog food order. Details follow. I placed a reorder for prescription dog food in early July. The online order asked for the prescription (even though it was a reorder) and it would not upload (tried from two computers from two different places). I called and was assured I didn’t need to upload it since it was on file. A week later I received an email telling me the order was on hold pending a prescription. I emailed it and called again. The representative said he released the order for shipping and Fedex confirmed it.

Today I get an email canceling the order due to lack of prescription and non response from vet!! So I’m trying to figure out how to get the food quickly. The last thing the 12 y/o dog needs is a change in food on top of cancer, heart disease, thyroid and gi issues. I call again and ask why in the world would they do this after confirming with fedex that it had been shipped. The representative tells me it wasn’t cancelled and has no idea why I received the email. I will try to secure the food from somewhere as a backstop and keep monitoring the fedex tracking it. But this is nuts.

Original review: July 10, 2022

This is the third time PetSmart has shipped an order to an address I haven't lived at for three years. I've had some orders delivered to my correct address but I have no way of knowing if it's going to my correct address until the order ships. PetSmart has told me previously they are unable to change the shipping address once the order ships. Every other purchase I have made through PayPal has been shipped correctly except the three from PetSmart. I don't know what their problem is but I'd be very surprised if other PayPal users haven't experienced similar problems. I live in a different city than where the order shipped to and have no way to pick it up. And it is the fault of PetSmart.

Original review: July 5, 2022

The 1st time I went to grooming was for face, feet & fanny $30.00. Picked-up dog paws were very hairy. Groomer Megan said it was a touch-up and for $20.00 more she would do clean paws. Rubbish! 2nd time, full groom. My 9-month-old puppy was returned to me half-shaven. Groomer Megan said he would not hold still. Now, he has been groomed by others many times. Yes, he's hyper because he's a puppy. Could she have someone help her? Couldn't she put peanut butter on a spoon and have him hold still? When I picked him up I asked to speak with her and she wouldn't come out to talk to me. Just horrible!

PetSmart Company Information