1.39/5

Looking for a pet store?

1021 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2019

I enjoy shopping at PetSmart. I’m allowed to bring my pet inside. It kept clean with a variety of pet products. However most products are a little pricey. Therefore since I’m on a fixed income I seldom go there - can’t afford to shop there.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Very nice store and employees are quite helpful. I would not purchase a dog or cat from them, but I would go to the pound to rescue one. Been trading with PetSmart for over 15 years. Never had a problem. Also get dog bathed there. They do a very nice job. You need to watch your groomer and decide which one would be best for you and your dog. Then they build a relationship and things go well.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I go to PetSmart when I know exactly I want. I have two elderly dogs, and three young cats. One dog and two cats require specialty food that I either buy at PetSmart or order through chewy.com. The products are always available at both places. Hours are convenient at PetSmart, and delivery of pet food is usually between one and two days at chewy.com. There is very little personal service at PetSmart, so I don't go to gain knowledge about pet food, harnesses versus leashes, or treats. I can read online reviews at chewy.com, and I do before I buy a particular product. The reviews are very helpful in determining how to meet pet needs that are outside veterinarian care.

I have gone to three different independent pet food stores in Austin. While service clerks tried to be helpful, they were not as informative as chewy.com reviews. They also did not carry the specialty dog and cat foods that three of my pets require. I do prefer to shop local and independent businesses. I have chronic back pain, so having big bags of dry food and cases of canned food delivered to my door by chewy.com is a really valuable service. They are also very fast to process an order; typically, not more than one or two days. Otherwise, I don't buy grocery items online.

Original review: March 17, 2019

PetSmart has a wide variety of goods but might consider adding dog treats free of preservatives that are crunchy and not gummy for daily use. Their recommendations were for a gummy treat that definitely doesn't help tartar build-up. When shopping for a simple acrylic sweater, I only found a wide assortment of coats for our dog. She needed an acrylic sweater for indoor use, for the chilly nights just after a clipping. Dog food is another area of wide choices, but few with all-natural ingredients. It's a nice atmosphere, well-planned with good staff but the choices could include the non-standard fare.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I use PetSmart as my primary pet store for dog and cat food, treats and toys. Also for cat litter. The store associates are mostly knowledgeable and friendly. I also get my dog groomed at PetSmart. The records are in the computer so when I recently moved to another state the grooming records were there. They have sales and I get coupons in my email—most recently $10 off grooming!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: May 14, 2019

Ok we go to PetSmart every other week to pick up dog food. While we were there we my teen daughter decided to get a fish - A Molly. Well that fish didn't stay alive even for 10 hours. Before anyone ask I have had fish for 30 some yrs. So we know how to take care of the water and get all the goodies that go with it. So we took the fish back and my daughter really liked the Molly. So she want the same kind. While my hubby and daughter were there my hubby got me a fish too. It was a GloFish Moonrise Tetra and wouldn't you know both fish have die again. At this point we are gong to go and get are money back and never buy fish there ever again. Heck we have gotten fish at Wal-Mart and they have last 10 plus years. So you can guess where we will be buying our next fish from. I will say they have always been really nice there and the place is very clean considering that animals and people are coming and going from the store. (Mentor, Ohio)

Original review: May 13, 2019

Took my 10 month old puppy (** spaniel mix) to get groomed at store located at 2160 Jericho Turnpike, Commack, NY 11725. Most horrendous experience! She is traumatized and won't even let me get near her. They butchered her cut, buzz cut her with all 4 paws left long - groomer stated 'dog was difficult, wanted to bite. THEY SHOULD HAVE CONTACTED ME and made me aware instead of bullying her and making her get that horrible cut. They took all her beautiful curls buzzed them to the skin and my dog may never be able to take a grooming again. Shame on them, for charging me $100 for this abusive experience, will NEVER take them to a PetSmart nor even shop for my pets there again. Groomers were dismissive and blamed the dog... DO NOT get your pets groomed there... they abuse them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

PetSmart groomed my dog and she came home unrecognizable! What a butcher job!! The manager of the Plymouth Meeting, PA store grooming made such a mess of her it will take months for her to look like a cockapoo again. She should go back to school for grooming and never touch another dog before she does!! Our dog is anxious about grooming but has never come out looking like this, what a disgrace! If you can't do the job then just don't do it!!!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Called on the phone to see how much it would cost to get my dog's nails trimmed. She said to bring her right in. There was no waiting. At most I'd wait a couple minutes. She did not tell me they did not have chairs. She did not tell me I'd be holding my dog for 20 minutes while she called a groomer current. She did not tell me that I would have to provide shot records for my dog which is out of state and I'm unable to get the records although she's up to date. Just a couple of things that she could have said on the phone that would have saved me about an hour and a half of time and some very sore arms. My dog is heavy. Her name was Sophia. Very rude. Not a keeper. I would never have her working for me. You want people that are going to help their clients not hurt them.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Placed order and on PetSmart Canadian website it says that members get free 1-2 day shipping as long as your order is over $49. I placed my order on the 28th. So my order should of been here on Tuesday. It didn’t come. Now when I track the order it says next Tuesday, May 7th!! I phoned customer service and she said that she didn’t have FedEx tracking number, I offered it to her because I had it. However she said she didn’t want it because FedEx won’t take their calls!! Seriously??

This is false advertising on their part. She said she could give me 10% on my next purchase. You can tell this is their standard procedure. I told her my pets needed their food before next week, she didn’t care and offered me again the 10% off next order.... There won’t be a next time. Usually customer service would check into why the order is not delivered in time, not this company, they could care less!

Original review: April 28, 2019

It was nothing I went thru. But I go often. And see the dogs getting groomed in the window. And every time I see the groomers not very nice to the dogs. Never do they talk to them to help calm them. Or pay much attention at all to how they are doing. It's nothing like the commercials that are on TV. Where the dog is happy to be there or the groomer is happy to see the dog. Because it's not that way. They handle the dogs rough. You can see the dog is nervous. But they don't care. It's just getting that paycheck. They need to be talked to and told to at least fake like they care. People how do you just believe you can trust them. We use to be able to trust things like that. Not anymore. At least stay and watch. That way they will have to be kind to your dog. Thank you. I hope this helps someone's dog.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I decided to let PetSmart Pet hotel board my 2 expensive bullies while I traveled to Destin FL for my wedding. My dogs are 2 and 1 yrs old. I have never had a problem with them boarding my older pet but my younger has never been boarded before. They were there for 6 days which must have been an awful experience for my younger pup. Once we picked them up it was obvious she had been left in urine for quite some time because her beautiful black and white coat was now black and yellow/brown from urine. I took her home and tried to shampoo her with whitening shampoo and that did not help. So I called PetSmart and spoke to someone, informed them of what happened and she agreed that when I brought her in her coat was Snow White and they should have never sent her home that way.

Although I did not request an exit bath which probably would not have helped anyway, they could have at least wiped her paws and neck off. They made her an appointment with the groomers and refunded me 1 day stay which I had to use to pay the groomers and then comped me a free day for each of my pets. To say the least after the groomers bathed her she is still discolored and the pet hotel said there is nothing else they could do but recommend I bath her several time with whitening shampoo. I am very frustrated because my dogs are really expensive, crate trained and have never been left in urine. They will never get my business again as my husband and I travel a lot throughout the year.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Grooming - dog left wet, so when I picked him up he was already starting to get that wet dog smell. Money wasted. Store - store is just crappy. Half the stuff in the cat section is boxes busted open, supplies isn’t kept stocked, and there aren’t many options for litter pan liners so if they are out of their brand, too bad. Charities and corporate - manager bullied until charity pulled out, now cats from another charity aren’t cared for well enough as there is tons of poop left in litter boxes at all times and the cats are in dirty environments.

Corporate doesn’t give a rip. Was on the phone with them for an hour about the situation, they tell you how much they care and that they will update you, but I never heard anything back about any situation. They don’t care about animals. Just money. This is sad to me. I used to donate to PetSmart charities every time I went in, but I will never return. I even stopped ordering my cat and dog foods and litter from Chewy since it is owned by this terrible company. I would rather pay more elsewhere than give anything else to PetSmart.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I took my Goldendoodle to be cut down for summer. I could not get our regular groomer who has always done great with Grommet so I agreed To have another groomer. I should have trusted my gut. Poor Grommet was shaved with a 10 blade that must have been dull. He has so many razor burns and cuts that he’s totally miserable. I wrote the company but no response. I will take him to the vet to be treated. I don’t know she may have ruined him for any other groomers.

Original review: April 16, 2019

While shopping in Buckhead, GA PetSmart, I observed 15 plus dogs in one small area. The two caregivers would bang a mop stick on the floor to stop the animals from barking and would spray the animals in the face with a water bottle to curb unwanted behavior. I contacted corporate who didn't get back to me until I followed up with two more phone calls. When the store manager called, he admitted this is what they do in the store to calm to dogs???? Please do your homework folks, do NOT drop your dogs off at PetSmart Doggy Daycare. It's a glorified caged environment and the dogs are being scared into submission. So sad!

Original review: April 14, 2019

Visiting Petsmart at the outer loop and others within the Louisville, KY area, we have found the lack of empathy and consistency in the lack of providing world class customer service to be the same across the board. After standing in the fish department for ten minutes we had to interrupt the associate from playing in the fish tank. Interested in the 125 gallon tank, there was no price and the associate had to locate the price. Then began to tell us the only "new" tank was the floor model and that is the only way they sell it. However in the next breath told us someone bought the one in the box in the back.

Maddie at the outer loop told us the cost of the tank and told us "take it or leave it". She had no respect for us as customers. We asked for a discount because it was the floor model, she told us "it's just dust, take it or leave it". We asked her for the manager, it took 10 minutes for another employee to come to the front. Maddie began to tell Courtney (the manager with no name tag) "they want the fish tank but they don't want that one". She spoke in a tone like we had to take the fish tank and were wrong as customers because we wanted it in a box. There was no protection for the tank nor the stand. Courtney didn't even want to speak to us until I asked her for her name and title. Then she repeated what Maddie said, "take it or leave it".

No empathy no care for me as a customer. More along the lines of, "Give me your money. Take the product. If you jack it up on the way home oh well." Who sells stuff like that? I'd rather spend my money someplace where they care about my wants and needs as a customer and the products I purchase from them. I would advise people to not use this company until they require their employees to undergo customer relationship training.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My review is about the grooming services of PetSmart Leaside. A typical charge for a small dog is about $54 dollars from Monday-Thursday, if you want to book on a weekend they will charge you extra money about 3-4 dollars. The biggest problem for me was that the groomer wanted the dog clean and no tangles. Obviously a dog will always have a tangle or two, however I was advise that I would have to pay about $20 dollars extra. At the end it would had end up close to $100 dollars after tax just for small dog grooming. Is this fair? I don't think a hairdresser from a well known salon charges that much for a haircut including blow dry. For sure they don't charge extra to book on a weekday or if you have a tangle or messy hear.

The worst part of my experience is that when I express my dissatisfaction with the groomer, she confronted me, making me feel discriminated because I am not like the rich people in the area as I am complaining about the extra charge. Yes I take care of every penny I spend, but I also pay when it is fair. In this situation it was unfair as my dog had no tangles in a way that will required extra work for the groomer, and the way the lady responded. Of course I was feeling treated unfair so I was doubting proceeding with the service. The groomer view was take it or leave it, of course that was the attitude as they feel supported by the monopolistic power of the company they represent. She asked me to find another groomer and that I should never come back there and thank me for making her waste her time.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My wife took our dog to get groomed at the Petsmart in Fort Collins Colorado store # 0251 on 4-6-19, we were told it would take 3-4 hours and they would call us to let us know when he was done. We never received a phone call from the groomer so my wife and I proceeded to stop by and check on our dog, once we arrived we asked the groomer (Tatiana) if our dog was done and ready for pick up. She said he had been done for an hour and that they had called and left a message on our phone, we told her, "We never received a phone call. This is why we stopped by."

She replied (oh well I don’t know what to tell you) in a rude condescending tone which I didn’t appreciate, I then asked to speak to the manager about this issue. I asked her to please talk to her about her rude comment and tone otherwise I would go in and do it myself and I warned her I would get very ugly with her. Tatiana is a rude ** and has no business dealing with customers, we will no longer take our dog there for grooming. If you decide to take your pet there for grooming please avoid this ** at all cost.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have a dog who hates to get groomed. I scheduled an appointment with Petsmart, and gave my dog the anti-anxiety medicine prescribed to me by a vet. I told the groomer that I had given him an anti-anxiety med right before the visit. She said they could not groom him because of the prescription medicine. What? Many animals take anti-anxiety medicine. I think they should just let you sign a waiver. The medication had already been given, so canceling the appointment was useless. If this is their policy, have a sign that states that. I was late to work because I had to return my dog to my home.

Original review: April 1, 2019

PetSmart will not book your pet for grooming services if your pet takes too long to groom during their busy time. They do not care about your pet or you as a customer. Will never patronize again! Advice, go somewhere where you and your pet are appreciated. Support good kind people, not greedy companies who only care about money. A little kindness and consideration go a long way.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I discovered PetSmart, in Phoenix AZ, had submitted a fraudulent credit card charge of $258.93 to my credit card ending in **. I contacted Citi Bank and they said to contact PetSmart and find if charge was a counter or internet transaction and products purchased and shipping address. PetSmart customer Rep. refused to give me the info even though it was charged to me, fraudulently, they refused to cooperate with me in this fraud. PetSmart said it was not their problem. This has caused me to cancel my card and receive new ones, with all the difficulties this entails. I am filing an FTC fraud complaint because PetSmart company refused to cooperate in the solution of this fraud. A very suspicious position for Petsmart to take, given the fact that this is a fraudulent credit card transaction occurring in their AZ store.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been taking my 2 Yorkies there for quite sometime now and I will never ever return. My boy Yorkie for four days now does nothing but whine. He is in so much pain. They shaved him raw on his ** and private area. When I called they told me they were sorry and for me to apply **. Just awful. My poor guy is going crazy. Please love your animals enough to never take them to PetSmart.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I wanted to start breeding Winter White Hamsters and I went in for the female and they told me since I had a male, I had to buy an enclosure if I wanted to buy a female, even though I had another cage at home. I bought the cheapest cage they had and returned it to another location. Force me to buy another product based off a policy judgment call. Terrible. Sunset Hills Petsmart, employees have been rude every single time I go in there, not a trait you want in a pet store.

Original review: March 18, 2019

On 03/18/2019 around approximately 10am we entered PetSmart in Charleston, West Virginia to purchase Bil-Jac dog food. It was advertised as being in that store on sale from 3699 to 5799 however when we got to the register not only did they refuse to give us that in store sale price but they also refused to do price match which is clearly false advertisement on their part. We were treated badly. We filed a complaint not only with their corporate office but also with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: March 18, 2019

PetSmart has just about anything you could possibly want for your pet including a large number of things not necessary and most likely insulting to the animal. I find them to be expensive but must purchase some items there because of availability.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I had my one-year-old cat groomed at Petsmart in Marlton, NJ. I had an appointment and they told me to come back in two hours, which I thought was really long. When I went back to pick up the cat, he looked so SAD and SCARED. He looked like he has been tortured. I don't know what they did to my cat since their grooming corner is hidden in the back. When I brought the cat home, he went straight under my bed and wouldn't come out for one day. I was so sad and sorry to my cat. I was totally unsatisfied with their service. I will never ever send my cat there again!!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

DON'T EXPECT MUCH and you might be happy here. Good customer service is impossible to achieve when the employees just don't get it. GROOMING DEPARTMENT IS THE WORST. Have had our dog returned to us with things not done, been turned away multiple times because of employee issues, scheduling issues, once because they had no heat, and now because we were 15 minutes late for our 3 hour appt. I am a single dad with limited time and budget. We drove a long way to come to town just to be sent home unsatisfied again and will not do business here again. Tired of all of your B.S. excuses. When you go out of business I will not be surprised.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Have a question on pricing... Have a grooming appointment for my beagle. I have been a customer for a long time. I tried to make an appointment online for a weekday afternoon, but I noticed the groomers that have taken care of him were not available until the weekend. But then I noticed, price for the same service goes up $3 on a weekend. I then called, questioning the customer rep for an explanation for this and all he could come up with after stumbling over his words was "Well, we get busier on the weekend"... really? And I have to pay for that? Contacted the main office and waiting for a response...

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have a 14 year old Blue Heeler that I took to be bathed and nails trimmed... When I took him there, he jumped out of my truck like normal and we went inside. Now when the bather came to me I told her that he was an older dog and to be gentle on his hind quarters, as he was getting a little bit slower. OK fine she said. Now she told me it would be 2.5 hours to do because of drying time, which I thought a little strange, but okay. Came back 2.5 later...my dog could barely walk. I had to lift my dog and place him in the back of my truck through the back tailgate...because no way was he jumping in like he usually did through the front seat. And had to lift him out when we got home.

He did walk on his own into our unit, but with much difficulty, and is now lying at the end of my bed on the floor and won't move. Even when I ran the vacuum over the carpet (Which he is terrified of)...no movement. He has gotten up once to get a drink, but is back in the same spot. He won't even take one of his favorite treats. Not sure what they have done to him, whether they shoved him sideways or forced him down or what, but if he doesn't improve by morning, or later this evening...it's off to the vets. And if I'm told he has some damage done...then I warned Petsmart that I would be back with the bill and a lawyer. I will NEVER, EVER take him back there.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have heard repeatedly that PetSmart doesn't allow pitbulls in the doggy day camp. Finally verified that information and I am very disappointed. As a pitbull owner, I know first hand that the breed does not determine the behavior or temperament. The fact that this policy is based off of incorrect and misinformed opinions about how pitbulls are supposedly aggressive shows the lack of respect you have for animals to even give them a chance. I have been attack and bitten many times by multiple Chihuahuas for no reason other than the Chihuahua was just aggressive. My pitbull, and the multiple pitbulls I have known throughout my life have never once bitten me, growled at me, or even attacked me.

Every single one of them were the sweetest and most loving dogs I have ever met. Yet, they are not allowed in the doggy day camp but are allowed in the store on a leash. The behavior of an animal is learned by the way they are raised from a puppy. Even still, I have known multiple pitbull rescues that were actual fighting dogs and every single one of them were calm, loving, and gentle to me and to other dogs. PETCO doesn't have the policy that PetSmart has and views dogs as equal. Save your money, shop at the judgment free store. PETCO is better.

PetSmart Company Information