1.07/5

Looking for a pet store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

998 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I wanted to start breeding Winter White Hamsters and I went in for the female and they told me since I had a male, I had to buy an enclosure if I wanted to buy a female, even though I had another cage at home. I bought the cheapest cage they had and returned it to another location. Force me to buy another product based off a policy judgment call. Terrible. Sunset Hills Petsmart, employees have been rude every single time I go in there, not a trait you want in a pet store.

Original review: March 18, 2019

On 03/18/2019 around approximately 10am we entered PetSmart in Charleston, West Virginia to purchase Bil-Jac dog food. It was advertised as being in that store on sale from 3699 to 5799 however when we got to the register not only did they refuse to give us that in store sale price but they also refused to do price match which is clearly false advertisement on their part. We were treated badly. We filed a complaint not only with their corporate office but also with the Better Business Bureau.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 13, 2019

I had my one-year-old cat groomed at Petsmart in Marlton, NJ. I had an appointment and they told me to come back in two hours, which I thought was really long. When I went back to pick up the cat, he looked so SAD and SCARED. He looked like he has been tortured. I don't know what they did to my cat since their grooming corner is hidden in the back. When I brought the cat home, he went straight under my bed and wouldn't come out for one day. I was so sad and sorry to my cat. I was totally unsatisfied with their service. I will never ever send my cat there again!!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

DON'T EXPECT MUCH and you might be happy here. Good customer service is impossible to achieve when the employees just don't get it. GROOMING DEPARTMENT IS THE WORST. Have had our dog returned to us with things not done, been turned away multiple times because of employee issues, scheduling issues, once because they had no heat, and now because we were 15 minutes late for our 3 hour appt. I am a single dad with limited time and budget. We drove a long way to come to town just to be sent home unsatisfied again and will not do business here again. Tired of all of your B.S. excuses. When you go out of business I will not be surprised.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Have a question on pricing... Have a grooming appointment for my beagle. I have been a customer for a long time. I tried to make an appointment online for a weekday afternoon, but I noticed the groomers that have taken care of him were not available until the weekend. But then I noticed, price for the same service goes up $3 on a weekend. I then called, questioning the customer rep for an explanation for this and all he could come up with after stumbling over his words was "Well, we get busier on the weekend"... really? And I have to pay for that? Contacted the main office and waiting for a response...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have a 14 year old Blue Heeler that I took to be bathed and nails trimmed... When I took him there, he jumped out of my truck like normal and we went inside. Now when the bather came to me I told her that he was an older dog and to be gentle on his hind quarters, as he was getting a little bit slower. OK fine she said. Now she told me it would be 2.5 hours to do because of drying time, which I thought a little strange, but okay. Came back 2.5 later...my dog could barely walk. I had to lift my dog and place him in the back of my truck through the back tailgate...because no way was he jumping in like he usually did through the front seat. And had to lift him out when we got home.

He did walk on his own into our unit, but with much difficulty, and is now lying at the end of my bed on the floor and won't move. Even when I ran the vacuum over the carpet (Which he is terrified of)...no movement. He has gotten up once to get a drink, but is back in the same spot. He won't even take one of his favorite treats. Not sure what they have done to him, whether they shoved him sideways or forced him down or what, but if he doesn't improve by morning, or later this evening...it's off to the vets. And if I'm told he has some damage done...then I warned Petsmart that I would be back with the bill and a lawyer. I will NEVER, EVER take him back there.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have heard repeatedly that PetSmart doesn't allow pitbulls in the doggy day camp. Finally verified that information and I am very disappointed. As a pitbull owner, I know first hand that the breed does not determine the behavior or temperament. The fact that this policy is based off of incorrect and misinformed opinions about how pitbulls are supposedly aggressive shows the lack of respect you have for animals to even give them a chance. I have been attack and bitten many times by multiple Chihuahuas for no reason other than the Chihuahua was just aggressive. My pitbull, and the multiple pitbulls I have known throughout my life have never once bitten me, growled at me, or even attacked me.

Every single one of them were the sweetest and most loving dogs I have ever met. Yet, they are not allowed in the doggy day camp but are allowed in the store on a leash. The behavior of an animal is learned by the way they are raised from a puppy. Even still, I have known multiple pitbull rescues that were actual fighting dogs and every single one of them were calm, loving, and gentle to me and to other dogs. PETCO doesn't have the policy that PetSmart has and views dogs as equal. Save your money, shop at the judgment free store. PETCO is better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Hello PetSmart, I have a HUGE complaint. You guys need to feed your geckos till their tail is nice and plump. An malnourished gecko is never a happy gecko. Even babies should have the plumpest of tails. The information on your pamphlets is also wrong, one gecko should have a 15-20 gallon tank while if you have more you should keep doubling it. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have made several attempts to contact corporate and request they change their policies for the grooming of large dogs. So far I've gotten nothing but form letters with fluffy words so I'll go ahead and put it out here; The groomer let my dog fall off the table and hang by his throat. I watched. I saw it happen. Initially I didn't fault the groomer - she was a little too preoccupied with her own reflection in the mirror - but my dog is large and accidents happen. However, I felt it was important to address, they need to make a safer process for larger dogs, but they are not taking it seriously and someone else's dog could be seriously injured. Mine won't, I'm never going back.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

On Jan 23, 2019 we made an appointment and brought our Hava Yorkie puppy to Petsmart in Okotoks, AB at 3 PM for grooming. This was to include bath, trim, conditioning, clean ears, trim and file nails. Our puppy hates going to the groomer and suffers anxiety whenever she sees the building. We called at 5 PM and she had not yet been done. We were told that they were running behind and she would not be done until 6:30 to 7 pm. Four hours of being caged and be made to wait. Totally unacceptable. We picked her up at 7 and although I believe they did bathe her and trim her nails, her haircut was terrible. Whiskers were short on one side and long on the other. Top of her hair was just as long as when we brought her in and body trim and foot hair trim was nonexistent. The bill was $ 84.00. Unbelievable. I have had my own hair done in less than an hour and for way less cost. Would not have been upset about cost if I got value for my money.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I took my puppy at Newhyde Park store for grooming, she asked for $60. I agree. After 10 minutes she says, "Your dog has lot of matting. Extra $7." I agree. After another 10 Minutes she called again, "There will be extra $7 because dog has lot of matting." I said, "Ok I will pay." After another 15 she calls again that, "I will cost you another $10 because your dog is hard to handle." I told her stop. I went to pick him up.

The job was not completed he still had full hairs on neck and face, nail were cut, ears were not clean and she charge me $64 for bath and cutting some hair on his body. She will not give my dog back unless I pay. Manager was there but she took her side and I had to pay. This the worst store for grooming. Staff is very rude. I will not advise anybody to take is dog there even you discount coupon. This is the they demand more money. Worst place to deal with. I have receipt and I paid with my credit card. Also I took the photo which I have in my iPhone but I do not know how to send you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Within the past three years I have attempted to adopt 2 pets through the Biddeford, Maine PetSmart store. A female betta fish and a male mouse. Both animals have had health complications and today my betta fish died from unknown causes. We just adopted her and she should have been completely healthy with the care I have been giving to her. My male betta fish (Red Foreman, in separate enclosures and adopted from another pet store ) is in great health and is happy right now.

The female betta, (Blue) seemed to be struggling a little since we got her home, I assumed she would pull through though which was apparently not the case. It may have just been a fish but I had already become attached, and now she's dead. My male mouse (Buddy) that we adopted from PetSmart had to be returned due to skin lacerations made by the mouse chewing his skin off! They adopted him to me with a skin infection! Another animal I got attached to and had to deal with losing. All they wanted to do was have me purchase another one, haha nope.

On another note, some food products bought at PetSmart make my animals sick. Store representatives have pointed out and handed me items of great value stating they are great for my pets and in fact, only made them sick! My male betta was introduced to a bloodworm that made his eyesight go for a short period of time, now he won't even touch bloodworms and they used to be his favorite. When asked about it, the associate simply stated, 'oh, uh... I dunno?' So we returned the remainder of the product and got the money back. Did not care about my animal at all! I have a male hamster (Kevin), adopted from a family friend and he likes to chew a lot, obviously. Same thing with the associate finding the most expensive treats and toys for him.

When I gave the toys to him, he seemed to avoid them all together like they stunk or something. For two days I gave him the treats and slowly we noticed him getting more and more aggressive. I went to feed him a treat again on the third day and he actually bit my hand which had never happened before. Fed daily, plus extra fresh fruits and veggies, loved unconditionally, and an enclosure as big as a large barn style kitchen table there is absolutely no reason for him to have felt the need to bite me. After stopping the treats completely, he seemed to calm down a bit. It took about a day and a half but he was back to his old self. Never again will I shop at PetSmart. I have given too many chances and I am done with my animals being harmed and killed. Not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I took my Goldendoodle to be groomed in Greece NY. My dog has been groomed multiple times before and I only took him here for convenience. It took the girl over three hours and when I picked him up she told me he was very difficult. She said she wasn't able to do as good a job as he wanted because he was pulling constantly. She also stated he does not walk well on a leash so he was hard to move from station to station. My dog is large and under but has been to 2 different groomers since he was a pup. This is the first time I have ever been told he was a challenge... Usually they say how great and easy he is for his size and age. It seems to me this girl was trying to make excuses for the poor job she did on his trim. We will not be returning.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I took my 10 month old puppy to PetSmart on Veterans Memorial Pkwy in St Charles, MO for a bath and nail trim. They assigned my dog to a girl about a foot taller than my dog for starters. They said to leave him for an hour and 1/2. I left to go shopping and I was called by their groomer saying they cannot work with my puppy because he's too "nervous". They didn't even attempt to cut his claws. Nothing but whiney brats working there who should not be working as a groomer if they can't handle a nervous dog. Nothing but a big waste of time. I'll never try to use them again nor would I recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I absolutely love PetSmart so after adopting a cat there I got a coupon book to use and one was for their groomers. I decided to bring my overly friendly dog to get a nice bath and brush. When we got home my dog acted like I took her to a torcher chamber, she was sad and just laid her head on me for 20 mins - just the most pathetic looking scared dog. My dog does not act like this and part of her eyebrow looks like it was singed off. I don’t know what to think, the staff was so friend but they don’t let you see what they are doing in the back with the animals and my Zoey baby was scared and needed lots of reassurance afterwards.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I dropped off my dog at Petsmart in Lauderhill with Savanah. Within the hour, I got a call that they couldn’t work with my dog bc he was “Stressed”. They shaved my dog down to his bare skin and left some parts long. They even shaved down one ear to the bare skin and left the other long. I cried for hours and when I spoke with the manager, she tried to justify it. I took my dog to another groomer and they said they were being too lazy to actually correct the issue. I am so sad. They are the worst. Please take this as a sign and do not go. My dog has been 4 times prior and now is when he suddenly got “Stressed”. I promise you can’t even imagine the mess they did unless I show the photos. I wouldn’t have even given them a star but I was obligated to.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We recently adopted an 8 month old kitten from PetSmart on Gateway Dr in Fredericksburg, VA. We submitted the application, answered follow up questions, agreed to a home inspection (that never happened), and were approved within a week. We purchased food, bedding, toys, and cat climbers in preparation. We arrived at the store, at the correct time, to take possession of the kitten. After the foster mother, Marion, bragged about her work ethic, and how many hours she'd been there already, she then, chose to mention a lump on the kitten's ear. She let us know that we cant take her home, that she needs to be seen by a vet first. Our only issue, at this time, was that she failed to inform us before we made the hour long trip.

Three days later, after several messages were left, we heard back from her. The kitten had ringworm and needed to be kept another 3 weeks. During this time, we asked about her progress several times. Almost 5 weeks later, we are told that she still has ringworm and now ear mites. We insisted on taking possession and after a terse conversation, the foster mother agrees to release her into our care. We arrive at PetSmart before the foster mother, which allowed us to see her pull the cat from her trunk!! The cat, smelled horrible. She had feces stuck everywhere on her body. The ringworm was not only on her ear, but her entire throat was hairless and covered in it.

We arrive home and give her a bath. That is when we discovered how emaciated she was. Her fur was dull and so thin, that you could see her skin through it. Her bones were sticking out, even her ribcage was noticeable through the fur. This kitten had matted fur across her belly and under her arms. The poor thing didn't know how to climb, and when we put her on the bed, she had no idea how to get down. We took her to our vet for treatment. She was riddled with worms, ear mites, and ringworm. They will be sedating her to remove the matted fur. The foster mother is abusing these animals, and Petsmart is complicit. Our kitten was kept in a filthy cage, while in their care. She was forced to lay down, which is how her fur matted. How dare PetSmart allow disgusting, ignorant people like Marion, to foster innocent animals? How dare they.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I noted on my business Visa card a charge for $107 on Jan 1 from PetSmart. I do not have a pet and have never used them. Called them and the Agent and Supv Michael would not give me any more information even though I had the transaction number. Their solution, go to the police. Now have to deal with Visa who wants to cancel and reissue my credit card while dealing with PetSmart. This problem could be easily solved if PetSmart could give me some additional info on the purchase.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My older dog suffered severe diaper rash after sitting in her feces from an undetermined amount of time from 9pm until noticed at 11am the following day. Our vet never saw anything like it. No paperwork was ever provided to us as promised. My younger dog is now being treated by our vet for bloody stools. Both dogs were housed together from 12/21/18-12/30/18 in the Vernon Hills, IL store. It was acknowledged that overnight staff dropped the ball. My dog was prescribed medication that causes diarrhea which is not to be prescribed to a dog suffering from a raw rectum. Staff suggested that the possible overwhelming amount of dogs and lack of staff may have caused this to happen. All I can say is I walked out of there with regret and two unhealthy dogs that physically show they had been neglected.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Took my two female Golden Retriever puppies to PetSmart for grooming on 12/24/18. I chose the service that included bath, nail trim, ear cleaning, anal gland expression, sanitary trim, and paw trim. I also purchased extra services of nail grind and teeth brushing. Very disappointed! No anal gland expression, teeth brushing, paw trim, or sanitary trim. Nail grinding missed dew claw nails. Ear cleaning is questionable. No call when ready as promised. Will not be back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I took a dog toy back to store #1121, and the manager Ashley was so rude. She said Petsmart would go out of business if they took dog toys back. I was trying to explain to her that the toy broke the 1st day my Rat Terrier played with it. She interrupted me saying she's not arguing no further and she's not taking the toy back. I asked her why did she say we're arguing when I was only trying to find out who should I contact to return the toy. Then she just walked away ignoring what I was saying. That's when I got her name. I don't know what kind of store she's running but she just lost a loyal customer.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I don't like pet stores selling live animals so I try not to go at PetSmart. I don't even walk down the aisles where they are. Wild animals should not even be legal to sell. I can understand having rescued companion animals there.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I boarded my cat at Fremont PetSmart (PetsHotel) for the Christmas 2018. I went to pick him up today 26th Dec 2018, And after paperwork and payment, he was brought out in his kennel. When asked for paperwork, I was told it was not recorded. We came home and I opened the kennel to let him out and the cat just ran upstairs, which is very unusual for our cat. I went behind him to make sure he’s ok and was shocked to see that I was given a different pet. I called up PetSmart to let them know of their goof-up and check on my pet to make sure he was at the premises. They kept me waiting on the call instead of updating me on my pet's status. I took this cat back to the PetSmart to bring ours back. The staff not only downplayed the whole incident they also made a statement that this is very common.

I asked them for the paperwork and that had my pet's name, I questioned that how can they just put another pet in the kennel without checking the name, they had no answer to this except claiming this kind of mix up happens. Though I know it is not acceptable as PetSmart is a corporation and they should have the guidelines for the safety of the pets, I was happy to get my cat back home. To the pet parent whose cat was in kitty cottage 611 on Dec 26th 2018 and came to my home briefly - I tried to make him comfortable as much as possible but he was terrified. I can never imagine something like this happen to my cat, he’s part of family. Due to their irresponsible justification - Petsmart just lost a customer.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Made an appointment to have my dog bathed. Even after an extra phone call, because they would not accept my dog's valid/current rabies tag, they claimed to have never heard of me when I got there. To add insult to injury they made me wait, while they waited on the person who came through the door after me. Don't waste your time with Petsmart.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

An employee by the name of Jeff wanted to put me out the store because he refused to help me get my points and did not want to take the time to help me with coupons that an employee from PetSmart corporate office sent to me. The employee smelled like he had been drinking and as people came into the store and said hello to him he told each one about my issue. After I told him that I would report him to PetSmart corporate office he stated to me that he did not care.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

On Friday Nov. 16 I brought my two dogs to PetSmart for a bath and nail trim, one is a 13 year old Jack Russell, and the other is a 7 year old black Lab. Three hours later I pick them up. The Jack Russell is a shivering wreck. He loses interest in food and water, and a few days later begins passing bloody stools while we are on a trip to visit family for Thanksgiving. We check him into an emergency vet clinic, and unfortunately on Thanksgiving morning we have to euthanize him. The vet cannot determine what happened to him (ultrasound diagnostics couldn't find anything wrong in his abdomen/chest). PetSmart corporate says "We are sorry, but since there are no cameras in the grooming area, and there was no necropsy performed, the findings are inconclusive." I have since found out that there seem to be a lot of "incidents" involving PetSmart Grooming. Wish I had never gone there.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the worst experience in my past 46 years. I would like to buy 2-3 small fish for my new fish tank. I had a old one 5-gal tank and a new 10-gal tank. The new one is the gift from my friend last night. Then I went to the store which located in Bridgeport Rd in Richmond. The fish area manager is a young man, he came to ask me for my requirement. I told him I need buy some fish for my new 10-gal tank, and I just receive this gift one day. He refused to sell me. He said it is a “policy”, I cannot buy fish for my new tank for how many days, I also need to show him the tank picture to him... He is really very rude, not friend, bossy to everyone, whatever staff or customer. He is neither professional nor enough knowledgeable. I asked him to show me the “policy”. He replied “I could” but... nothing provide...???!!!

I work in 5-star hotel and retails for high level management for many years. I know what is the customer service. I know what is professionally. I came there for shopping not for make a trouble or feel unhappy in weekend. I am a pet lover. How unlucky I met such a “...” in my first experience setting my feet in PETSMART. This is no good for the reputation for the store and the brand. I feel so upset the whole day. I never met such customer service in my life.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

WE picked up a 10 pound box of this item at the Petsmart in Orlando 2 weeks ago and stored, sealed, in a closet. Opened the box yesterday and what appeared to be tiny moths flew out of the box. Calling customer service at Petsmart I'm told to return it to Orlando but we live in Spring Hill (2 hours away). That is the only solution they could offer, talk about poor customer service. Petsmart, you got me once but you'll never get me again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The groom was not good. My poodle was adorable when she went in, but not so cute when she came out. I requested that they call me ASAP because I didn’t want my dog sitting in a cage scared because she is so tune that she gets nervous in places like that. I waited and waited. I went to the store at 9:00 because I knew they must be closing soon... The girl had put my dog in a small cage and continued cutting other dogs! I requested that the hair be plucked from her ears and she did not even do anything to her ears. After reading reviews and my experience, I would not return to PetSmart grooming at any location.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Dropped off last night. I had told them 3 different times that my dog required a muzzle to get his eye drops. "We can do that. It will be fine. Don't worry." I am getting ready to leave for the airport, "We can't use a muzzle on a dog this age and he bit me another bite and we can have him put down." Never ever ever going to buy anything from them again. I get all my food there all their snacks and for the cat. I would buy food off the street before I will ever use this place.

They had threatened my old dog, after he bit one of them after I told them to use a muzzle. "A muzzle might stress an older dog." Well picking up a prior abused dog and trying to drop eye drops in his eyes as a total stranger is much more stressful than putting a muzzle on him. The vet even approves the muzzle. I cried all night worrying about them and then I had to wake up my son to go get them because I had to be at the airport. If they couldn't do it they should have told me. Again I will never go to this godawful place again for any reason. If they were the last pet store on earth!!! Jerks. Threatened to have my dog put down.

PetSmart Company Information