3.54/5
  • 1 star
Based on 275 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

PetSmart

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

902 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

PETSMART DELRAY BEACH LINTON AVE - I arrived to the store at 7am and was looking for a cat carrier, but no one was able to help even though I had talked to two people, including the manager. I came back in the afternoon to pick up my cat from the hospital and needed the carrier asap to carry the cat home in. Penny and Tabor went above and beyond to help me choose and assemble a pet carrier and was able to pick up my cat right away!!! The mentioned employees are true assets to this company. Thank you, guys!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They charged my card twice and said it was standard practice. Now my money is tied up for 3-5 business days on a "pre-authorization hold" and an IMPORTANT BILL PAYMENT thus was rejected. I will never order from them online again! Service in my local store (unfortunately 30 miles away) is, however, ALWAYS AMAZING (fortunately). NEVER ORDER ONLINE!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My boy needs special food. I buy Pro Plan - one 3.5 bag of Pro Plan lamb & rice for sensitive skin - $15 change. Buy it at Chewy - same size - $7 and change. Is PetSmart OUT OF THEIR MINDS? ONE case of Special Pro Plan FOOD - at PetSmart - .99 per can - 24 cans - AT CHEWY - .89 per can - at 24 cans. I barely go to PetSmart to begin with. Honestly - I have no idea how they stay in business - they should just have grooming & vet - their prices are THROUGH THE ROOF! BYE BYE, PetSMART! I am ALL DONE & I will be sure to mention to all my friends and family. TALK about taking advantage! Shame on me that one time - never again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have taken my Morkie there for 5 years to be groomed. I appreciated that there are windows so customers can see how dogs are treated, requirements of vaccinations and non sedated pets. For the last 4 years our dog would get a beautiful groom. He’s an anxious little dog and we would be told he didn’t like his face or feet being clipped. The last two times we’ve basically been banned from coming back. Stating our dog gets so nervous that it’s dangerous to his health and he needs to go to a place where he can be sedated. I don’t understand how for 4 years he was able get his grooming complete, the only change has been in management. I recommended many to Petsmart grooming on 33rd, but will never return and never recommend. We have found a mobile dog grooming that does an Incredible job and charges less!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I left my healthy dog off for grooming Friday Dec 29th 9:45 am at Flemington NJ Pet Smart and received a phone message from pet smart. My dog was taken to local vet. I rush to vet minutes later to a dead dog. The dog arrived dead on arrival and was left! No one from pet smart stayed to discuss the death of my dog. They left! No one from pet smart reached out to me. I had to call store manager who was not permitted to give me any info and said the district leader will call me. Several hours later I receive a call from district leader. She stated cannot answer questions under investigation.

I filed a complaint with NJSPCA who called district leader to open investigation. I had to contact customer care to have a corporate manager call me only to say under investigation. The death of my dog is still be investigated. We are horrified and grieve stricken. After a Facebook share I have received numerous stories of beloved pets' deaths and injuries while being groomed at pet smart. Also previous pet smart groomers witnessing death of animals from gross negligence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I left my dog a Shih-tzu to be groomed last Thursday, by Friday/Saturday he was starting to bite his underside. After a careful inspection I noticed a patch of red where he was shaved. I gave him baby **, and putting ** cream on the area. On Monday the area enlarged to his entire underside that was shaved. Even after giving him ** and cream he was up most of Monday night biting and scratching himself. Tuesday, I called Mount Laurel Animal Hospital and they said to have him looked at by a vet. He was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and was given ** and an antibiotic to take for the next 2-3 weeks. I was told this is typically caused by a close shave and or dirty shaver/counter that the dog was placed in/on... not a happy customer.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Poor Jimmy. We made an appointment to be groomed on 12-15-17 at 11:30am and we dropped him off and about 2 hours later I got a phone call that he has somehow gotten injured in a cage and is bleeding and needs surgery on his foot. He got 4 stitches and (no haircut) and sent home with painkillers. We needed to drive back every few days, 30 miles each way 4 different times for bandage changes. On Saturday before Xmas and on Xmas day I changed his bandage because they were closed for the holiday. Today he got stitches out and his leg is now infected. They blame me for the infection and said I wrapped it up wrong on Saturday and are now charging me for today's visit and any additional care that he needs. It's hard to believe we only wanted a haircut for Xmas. I will keep everyone updated on his condition and any additional cost we incur. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

First, they don’t take your dogs out. So let’s say you are like me and drop them off in the morning... my two dogs were not taken out. They peed and pooped as soon as I got them because they were holding it all day. What pet place doesn’t understand the fact that dogs need to go out just as much as you do? How about you hold it all day and see how you feel? My dog is 14 years old and should not be forced to hold his urine and bowel movements. Second, forget them calling when your animal is done. Instead just show up and hope they are finished because they didn’t call you. And third, make sure you check your bill because you may be paying more than you should. Never again will my dogs be going to PetSmart. Absolutely unacceptable!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I took my bulldog to PetSmart Groomers to get a bath. NEVER AGAIN!! I picked up my dog and her eyes were all red and she was lethargic. Took her to the vet because she had a huge scratch and cut on her stomach which was not there when I dropped her off. I called PetSmart to see if there were any cameras in the grooming area because I wanted to know what happened to my dog from the minute I dropped her off to the minute I picked her up. I was told they have no cameras. Of course, they don't!

I also attempted to take my dog into the PetSmart Groomer again to see how she would react. She would not even go near the door of the Groomers and she loves baths! Very telling! So even though your dog can't talk, they will let you know they HATE this place, SO DON'T TAKE THEM THERE!!! I would recommend Pampered Pup'z in Libertyville. My dog loves going there. :) I am going to go online now to research if there are any lawsuits against PetSmart Groomers for mistreatment of animals.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Love the store. They have a great choice of products. The prices are high, unless it's a sale. Even then online shopping for the same item is usually cheaper.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Wished their groomers were better trained. And some of their cashiers are also not that friendly. They have set me up on follow ups on my grooming but the results are the same. I do not take my dog to PetSmart anymore.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I like PetSmart. I've been going there for years and took dog training classes. My groomer has been there for years and it is close to my little house. Now they have a full service vet hospital in there. Perfect for me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I really enjoy shopping at PetSmart because the customer service is excellent. The associates are very considerate and helpful. They have a variety of supplies including animal toys for my granddog and her new little kitten friend.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Great selection, but can usually find a cheaper price online. The food selection is usually cheaper at another website. I belong to their Pet Perks Program but don't really see any benefits from it. Hardly ever receive coupons for the products I buy which is why I shop online somewhere else unless I need something last minute.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

The staff I have encountered have always been friendly and willing to assist and the prices are competitive to big box stores. They also offer pet adoption services and the opportunity to donate to charities.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Mainly I go to PetSmart for grooming. They do a good job for a reasonable price. But I don't buy dog food there because they don't carry the brand we use. Their prices seem high for most other pet supplies as well.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

As a pet store they have to cover a wide variety of animals which they do reasonably well. Their associates tend to be friendly and knowledgeable. I do think their prices are somewhat higher than they should be.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I was at Petsmart having my dog groomed and looking like a pretty girl with ribbons in her hair. You could she knew she was cute because she struts around after she's all done. She's happy and overjoyed to see me come through the door. The cost is comparable to other places I take her to be groomed but I really prefer to go to Petsmart because I can see what they are doing. Some places I have taken her to you cannot see what they are doing and I don't feel comfortable not seeing in. The place always looks clean other than hair on the floor which is why we come here.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Pet grooming at my store was lacking. I really like that you can schedule an appointment online, but the groomer at the store I booked the appointment for didn't show up so I had to take my dog to another store and the groomer didn't follow my instructions as to how I wanted my dog groomed. The cashiers are always friendly, but sometimes I need help and they don't have enough people to offer. I really think they need to hire more people.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have Schnauzer who gets fed Pro Plan, both canned and dry. Due to his beard, he doesn't get the gravy types of canned food. He usually gets ground chicken or beef and Petsmart is frequently out of one or the other by the case.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Called and made a 9 am appointment. When I went to drop off I was told that I would have to wait 2 hours. That the walk inside will go ahead of me. Really, then why make an appointment? Got my Boxer back and was told that next time if I didn't want to wait I could pay an extra $12 and my pet would get expedited treatment. My dog still had a lot of shedding hair on her, the nails were not looking that good, also no doggie treat or scarf. This was a terrible experience and will not take her back. This was the PetSmart in Pooler, Ga. December 10, 2017.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Stores like Petco and Petsmart are more pet friendly whereas your pet can actually go inside the store with you as you shop and Walmart haven't allowed the pet boldness yet.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I enjoy shopping here for the open feeling and display of all the items. The prices are good but not great. But the customer service and variety of choices make up for the prices which could be cheaper.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

The staff, I have never had a complaint with them! No matter who helps me they are always genuinely friendly! Store is clean with a good aura! My only complaint would be prices; though everything is high no matter where you go!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

PetSmart is a good store but their prices are a little high especially on the toys. I like that they carry the high end foods. I wish there were more stores closer to where I live.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I have found in all my life that Petsmart not only has top quality & variety of products, they always have what I need @ a price I can afford, that is one stop shopping!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

They seem to always be short staffed. Also do not carry enough items in some areas ex. cat trees. Also I have asked about my points earned and no one knows how I can use them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Higher than most for same product. Customer service including management is bad but sometime you can get a smile from the cashier. I shop mostly independent stores and prices very reasonable.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

PetSmart is the first store I will go to in order to buy products for my dog, cats and Cockatoo. The variety of food is excellent and they have top quality items from food to toys to pet care needs. My only regret is that often times I am unable to purchase the type of food my dog loves because they are out of stock.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Deceptive marketing of pet food products cause pet ill health capitalized on by in-store vet services. Complicit collusion of vet owned and promoted vet pet foods and products, bad faith business practices, scam, defraud customers. Mass deception.

PetSmart Company Information

www.petsmart.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use