2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5
Based on 1,637 ratings submitted in the last year

PETCO Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Have been shopping at Petco for the last year. I currently have a 55 gallon fish tank with tropical fish. The Petco staff has been very helpful with tips and information on how to maintain the aquarium, fish selection and plant selection in order to maintain a healthy tank. Petco offers discounts on a regular basis for filters, fish and chemicals and to buy some item in bulk quantities.

When I first started to setup my aquarium, I had looked at selecting specific types of fish based on color and temperament of the fish; guppies, tetras, angle fish, etc. When I start to process, I spoke with the staff at the Petco store in Hillside and they took the time to ask questions about what type of fish I wanted and the size of the tank and filters. They also explained the importance of which fish would get along and how many fish I could have in a 55 gallon tank. They took me through the steps of getting the tank ready for the fish by testing the water and training how to maintain a healthy ecosystem. I continue to shop at the Petco store and seek advice about my aquarium. I would highly recommend This store.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

There is a relatively small Petco "Unleashed" near my home that I love. Service is great and though it is not a large store the selection of products is very good. They also have a self-service grooming area, which is a plus. I had purchased a doggie toothbrush there that my dog absolutely refused to have anything to do with. I took it bag and got a full refund without any hassle. The only problem I have had is some wet dog food I got there that was not sealed properly and at least one container went bad. I did not take it back as I believe I had thrown away the receipt and didn't want to take the time. There is a larger PetSmart not too much farther away that also has a good selection and I have purchased items there, but I had a very bad experience there with their dog grooming service. I have not shopped there since the bad grooming experience and much prefer the Petco.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I wanted to come here and leave a review because I think most reviews are left only after a bad experience. I really like my local Petco (Eureka, Ca). It’s large, clean, organized, well-stocked and the employees are (surprisingly) knowledgeable, helpful and friendly (without coming off fake). I LOVE getting the 10% discount for shopping and purchasing online and picking up myself at my local store. I only live 10 minutes from Petco so the entire experience is so easy, and the 10% discount is a big incentive for me. I just did my first online order today through Petco for a rather expensive purchase; a Lay-Z-Boy dog sofa (I know, I know! Ridiculous!). I chose to order it from Petco over every other online shop, including Wayfair, because

a) They had the best price - at least $25 less than everyone else.
          b) They got better reviews than Wayfair.

c) I’m hoping if there are any issues or problems I’m not at just the whim of a corporation on the phone, I can get help via my local store (this is according to Petco).

The couch is due to arrive Tuesday Jan 27. When I receive it I will come back here and finish my review. Fingers crossed I’ll be leaving 5 stars!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Carbondale location. For once I have come across a Petco that has knowledgeable employees. I'm completely surprised and happy about this. One of the managers has done an excellent job training. I'm all about aquatics and amphibians. Every employee running these stations gives me information that is not conflicting and if they don't know, sometimes they'll Google it for me. They price match to their website, which I found can be dollars cheaper. They're all friendly and I feel as if they value what they do. They greet customers, offer help and some if they actually want to learn. This store also carries Keyholes, Rainbow cichlids, Rams, Apistos, Threadfin rainbows, Pencil fish, Cherry Shrimp, Neon Gobies, salt water fish, corals, and regular fish. If the fish isn't there, you can request an order if it's on a list. They also had freshwater micro crabs (Thai crabs). I'm very impressed with this store.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I think the customer service at PETCO is fantastic! When my Newfoundland was in terrible pain from arthritis, we tried everything to help him. Our vet tried one medication after another, along with supplements. The poor dog was still in pain, and only 5 years old. We thought we'd have to put him to sleep, he was so miserable. I was at PETCO picking up dog food, and took a look at the joint supplement aisle. So many choices--so confusing. One of the employees asked if he could help me. I told him about our Newfie, and he went straight to the PETCO brand of Joint Formula III. I thought it was rather pricey, but the alternative was to say goodbye to a young dog.

That employee saved my dog's life! Our big boy was running and jumping like a puppy after only a week on that supplement. It bought him an additional 7 years, and as long as he had his daily dose of Joint Formula III, he was pain-free. That was several years ago, and PETCO's customer service has never wavered. They just hire really good people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Petco is deliberately dishonest on their online item descriptions. Petco.com and Petco's eBay store both advertise Fluker's Castle Crib Reptile Hideaway, Large as being gray in color. Well, I already have two of those in pink (it's the only stupid color the physical Petco locations sell the item in), and I hate that color so I did NOT want another pink one. First, I tried to order from Petco.com. Despite clearly advertising the item in gray, I was told they could not ship me a gray one as "they only get what is sent to them" and they don't have any in gray. Next, I tried the eBay store. I asked them before I ordered the item if it would arrive in gray, and I was assured that it would. So I placed the order. I messaged them again after purchase to remind them that their ebay listing description said the item would be gray so I expected to receive one in that color.

A few days later, my box arrives and the item is PINK!!! Petco deliberately lied to me and I am PISSED! Why would I have paid $6.99 in shipping on eBay to get the same pink item I could have gotten from the local Petco and then got it same day for the exact same price and without paying the outrageous shipping?! More and more I hate Petco. I get nothing but poor customer service and incompetence from this store. I spend a lot of money per year at Petco and I deserve to get what I'm paying for!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Petco is the ultimate one-stop shop for quality products and services. The employees are extremely helpful, approachable, and friendly. And they know their products! I will continue to go there for all my fur-babies' needs.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Every time I go to Unleashed by PETCO the people are cheerful, friendly and helpful. I am a dog owner and a wheelchair user. The store is wheelchair accessible as well as the checkout. I used their puppy training which was excellent, very reasonably priced and my pup learned some dog manners LOL.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

In a few words, PetCo takes advantage of pet owners. Their pricing is ridiculous on everything from cat grass to pet leashes and clothing. And if you have a question, in store they’d just a soon you’d shop somewhere else. Online I’ve had no issues and customer service was great. I stopped shopping at the physical store.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Petco store in Lancaster, Pa has excellent friendly customer service each time I go there. They have also always given me great advice or products and service. I also always see them taking care of what reptiles, fish and animals there like they care about them personally. And you can always find a bargain. As well they offer pet grooming there and training also. I always go back there of by there for a bargain or advice.

Not sure about PETCO?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Stores for you.

PETCO Company Information