PETCO

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When shopping at the Petco in Mount Vernon NY there is never a large bag to put purchases only small items bags. That is crazy. I asked the cashier why. She said that Petco expected most if not all of their customers to own cars meaning that they can put large purchases example dog bed, pet carrier and such items in the car directly without a shopping bag. I thought that was so stupid. I don't own a car and do not expect to walk out of a store with the item in my hand to go wherever I am going. Petco should be able to accommodate all size items when packing them for purchase. This needs to change.

Past experiences with staff giving wrong info on products or care. I would not shop there again. I've lost trust with them after following advice and nearly lost my dog. Ended up to be an expensive lesson.

Prices are fair. Customer service is good. Staff is not as up to date as should be but still ok. Good store for me for a few years. Almost have everything I need but asking questions is a problem to some staff on products they carry. Prices are good and perks to club members are great. Very good store for many years for me.

They always have exactly what I need for my senior cat and always able to answer my questions. Their customer service is great and they also take very good care of the animals and fish that they are finding good homes for. Every time I go in to buy monthly needs for my cat I am also able to enjoy visiting with the birds, little furry animals, and the cats that are waiting for their forever homes. The cats get a lot of one-on-one attention and the people are also able to interact with them. It's good for the cats and good for people like me.

They always have what brands of items my dog loves and they are on sale most times. They have the largest variety of products for dogs and other pets. They carry every top brand and have pal rewards that give discounts on certain items. I get reward dollars after spending a certain amount on items I'm going to buy anyways.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

The closest store has a horrible manager, a couple of employees with good knowledge but the manager seems to hire high school kids that either don't know or care about the animals they sell. Lousy employees and a bad manager, I am sure there are adults who could do a much better job. I've found dead fish in the tanks, how can you not take care of that?

I go to Petco a few times a week and they are always so helpful and they know what I am there for. The manager is awesome! The staff know what I need. They tell me when they're going to have a sale of the things I am interested in also. Manager is always so helpful.

We purchased a guinea pig that wasn't compatible with our children and needed to return it. They promised us if we returned all the supplies with it, they'd find Elvis, the guinea pig, a good home. Whether they DID or not, they made my kids feel better about the situation.

For the most part I am always happy with my visit. The prices are a little on the high side, but the customer service I have received almost makes it worth the extra costs. Friendly service, knowledgeable associates, let your animals in so they can try out clothes or toys. Prices a little more than you could get it elsewhere but you not only see it, you can touch it, feel it, and your pet can try it. Also, my cat kept getting sick on food we were trying and the associate noticed that I was coming in and spending a lot of time reading bags and buying couple different kinds of food and when I told them how he had an stomach problem and they told me to bring back all the bags I opened that he could not eat and they exchanged then. They really have your pet and pockets in mind.

Every time I've been in the store, I am treated with respect as soon as I walk in. The staff is really nice. They know about the products. The woman who runs the Grooming Department is very sweet. They all love my Bulldog and treat her really good. When I go in to either buy a product or take my Bulldog in to have her nails grind, I am always treated with respect. They are just as sweet as can be. I went in there about a flea problem we were having and the lady that approached us was very nice. She knew about the different products and explain them all to me. Very friendly staff. And Stacey ** in the Grooming Dept. is very sweet and very good with my Bulldog.

Associates are well-informed, helpful and courteous. I am very happy with the service. Very informative. I called. My cat was having a very bad flea infestation. I tried Hartz and the fleas got worst. I called. Talked to one of the associates. He was so patient being that I was very upset, he suggested I use Advantage II. Awesome results. Also suggested ** which works killing fleas from the inside out. Dead fleas all over the house. AWESOME!!! Very pleased with the service. Petco is the only pet/people-friendly store I use.

I've been a PETCO customer for 5 years. They are always very helpful and know both my dogs' by name. PETCO staff are professional and friendly. They always go above and beyond to help with any concerns I may have. My dogs love the staff and can't wait to greet them when I bring them in for their grooming. I highly recommend them.

I purchased a hamster for my granddaughter on Christmas Eve at the Norfolk, VA store on Virginia Beach Blvd. I explained that she lived in Northern VA and that we would be traveling for several hrs. The store associate was very helpful and very diligent about ensuring that the hamster would not be stressed during the trip. She helped me assemble the Kaytee starter kit, put in the hamster along with food, chew toy, and water bottle. The hamster immediately buried himself under the bedding. We tested and discovered that the water bottle would leak an ungodly amount during the trip.

So after assisting other customers, she took the hamster to the back of the store. When she returned, she had replaced the water bottle with a different one. A very nice gesture. When she returned with the cage no one thought to verify that the hamster was still in it. Until she returned with the cage and new water bottle, I really had no idea what she was even doing. Since hamsters are nocturnal, I wasn't surprised that there was no movement in the cage after leaving the store.

When I arrived at my destination in Woodbridge, VA around 6 pm, you can imagine our disbelief and my granddaughter's disappointment when she discovered that there no hamster was in the cage!! OMG. We were all stressed for the rest of the day. Running back and forth to check the car - over and over again. No hampster. The store is closed. It's now Christmas Day. So I call the store manager as soon as the store opened on Monday. Mr. ** was not very customer service oriented, and was more than willing to have us wait several more days to get the hamster if the local store in Woodbridge didn't have the same kind that we originally purchased.

He did call the local store after I pressed him about some sort of restitution. He stated that he also contacted the district manager who was only willing to have us select any new hampster. I realize this was an emotional issue for our family, but I strongly think that due to the holiday mishap, he should have gone further. There was never an apology for the incident and he appeared quite indifferent to the matter - just another day at the office for him.

The store seems to have all the little cute toys and gadgets your pet will enjoy. The staff's knowledge of animal behavior is very insightful they shopping for your pet easy. My experience walking thru Petco was better than walking thru a grocery store. Very neatly laid out, organized and made simple. I didn't have to waste any time looking for what I wanted.

Customer service staff did not know what they in stock. Awful experience. Tried to purchase heated kitty house but staff didn't know what I was talking about and offered no suggestions. Went to Petsmart and purchased item where they were very helpful.

The staff are courteous and professional. They bend over backwards to assist me in every aspect. They have the knowledge of all the products, when I ask questions. There is nothing about my Petco that I am disappointed with. However I would suggest lowering prices on some of the high-grade dog foods. Not everybody is able to afford it and their animals deserve it. If Petco realized that they would understand. That is from my standpoint. My experience at Petco has always been nothing but pleasant.

Not enough staff usually and then do not know the answer to the question. Typical large company who really does not care about the customer and good service. Hire little staff to save money and no one around to help. But of all the pet places I use this is I guess the best.

There is room for improvement in their products and services. I strongly feel that some of the employees who work for Petco should really not be working there. If a person wishes to work in a pet store, it should only be a person who sincerely loves animals and wants to make them as contented and comfortable as possible.

Wrote a complaint yesterday to PETCO about a item I bought online and that their sucky FedEx delivery service refused to deliver to my house. Now PETCO is giving me the runaround about my package. After this gets resolved, I will never use PETCO services ever again. Very unpleasant. No consideration or care.

I bring my well behaved pup in for a cut and nail trim... She comes home shaved and we spend $60!!! She's barely 6 months old... I find this ridiculous as petsmart is cheaper and didn't just shave my dog down.

I visited the Petco in Waikele on Dec. 3 during the time of a dog training class. What I saw from one pet owner who was in the class disgusted me. She was hitting her dog to get him to pay attention and listen to her. If I were the trainer or manager of the store I would be highly ashamed and would not allow such actions to take place without some form of discipline. She hit her dog openly and in front of children and other customers; that surely isn't something you would want to see anywhere, let alone a pet store. I came to buy supplies, but after witnessing such cruelty I left without buying anything.

I am pissed! During Black Friday, I enrolled my puppy Sadie for basic obedience training in Petco at a discounted price. Her classes started today but when we showed up 30 mins early, her trainer gave us an attitude and said "Oh, you're supposed to let me know you're coming." We replied "you should have known for you said we could pick Thursday or Saturday whatever day works us." She said "you got 30 mins" so we just walked around the store looking for treats. She showed up to the training 2 mins late but she never apologized.

She never did the training; I was doing the training myself. She told us to keep the dog walking and have her sit when my dog didn't know how to walk on a leash yet so we were dragging her on the floor. We have to do it 6x and I got dizzy and frustrated. The training lasted only for 15 mins for she cancelled it. She said she would just pass on the training to somebody else since I don't want my dog trained with a German shepherd in her group class next week. I told her I am not letting my dog near that dog because she will be doing her quarantine. I complained to the manager who said I need to train the dog too. I said "hey, I can't do that after next week because I have to go back to work." They 're supposed to teach my dog and not me because I am paying them. Petco, you need to stop offering dog trainings. Your trainers are evidently lazy and not qualified. I am going back tomorrow to get my refund, and google and train Sadie myself!

I took my dog to have her nails cut just before her puppy class. Not long after the session begins, I noticed a lot of blood on the floor. I brought it to the attention of the trainer. Then noticed that both my puppy's paws were covered in blood. I took her to the manager and showed her her paws and told her I just had her nails clipped. Both of us went into the groomer who trimmed her nails. She told us she cut her nails too short. She put something on them to stop the bleeding. I was very upset that I wasn't told this after she did it. I got a full refund. Before the next puppy class started, I tried to get my dog into the area of the groomer. She wouldn't go near it. She has no problem going to PetSmart groomer.

I took my dog to be groomed at Petco. He had some matting and they told me they would try not to shave him low!!! When I picked him up he was shaved down to the skin!! They even took his whiskers off!!! He is a Golden Doodle! Never ever again will I take him to this Petco!!

I brought my toy poodle for grooming, usually go to private groomer who I had difficulty to get a Saturday visit, being PETCO is also a pet store I felt many people around so chance of abusing my dog would be less. I showed the groomer a picture on my cell of the last cut so what type cut I expected was clear and I clearly said I did not want a short cut. When she brought my dog out I nearly died, she completely shaved my dog down, said he was matted, asked me if he was ever professionally cared for. I told her about every 8 weeks. She also said he is too thin, though the vet just 2 weeks ago said weight is fine. My dog looks awful. The shave job is not even smooth. This is MY dog and Debbie has no right to do this and if she felt dog was too matted for her groom she should have told me.

I went to PETCO and was willing to buy a parrot and I was denied. I told I was going to take good care of and still they said, "No poor service". They told it needs a big cage and UV lights and a clean environment. I will never buy anything from them again. I suggest for everyone to do the same. Naive people seems it that they don't need all that lots of people has them in different places with light.

I'm an owner of 3 Yorkshire terrier, better known as finicky eaters. My dogs got well adjusted to eating "Hill's: Ideal Balance" which is now being discontinued, so I've been on the hunt for dog food for my THREE DOGS. I was told by a Petco employee from several locations that if my dogs did not like the food, I wouldn't need to go back and forth to Petco, that I could just throw the food out and hold on to the cans and the receipt. I went to this store and I explained to the cashier the whole scenario and the cashier completely embarrassed me and denied my return, said that I need to keep 50% of the food in the containers even if it's spoiled. Which I could have done but since I was informed from several employees from several locations that I can just bring in the empty cans and the original receipt that's why my containers were empty. I'm a very upset consumer (Petco 1 US-46, Totowa, NJ 07512).

I have read 100's of reviews on Petco and after doing so, I really on have one comment which is: "You get what you pay for." Petco, and for that matter, Petsmart, do not have a training program that will actually benefit the customer or the dog. Sure, it's fun taking your dog to socialize with other dogs but, that's not training. You got to think about what you are getting for your money. If you and your dog attend a 60-minute class and there are 6 people/dogs in the class, you will never get more than 10 minutes of individual attention from the trainer. If you do, that would mean that someone else attending did not even get 10 minutes for the trainer.

Usually the trainer to give individual attention after 5 minutes of just yapping with everyone which means you are not going to even get 10 minutes of the trainer's time. Don't waste your money on these hourly socialization classes. If you do, you will likely be very unhappy with the results. Hire a trainer that will train your dog and only your dog. Group classes do not address more serious behavior issues and are pretty much worthless.

I dropped off my dog at 10:00 am for full service grooming. After 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours they called me and told me that they had to take him to the Emergency Room. They had cut his nail too short and they weren't able to stop the bleeding. I will not be going back to them any more. They didn't even call afterwards to follow-up and check to see how he was doing.

Georgia **, a "groomer" at Petco on Tamiami Trail in Fort Myers Fl, has been ripping off customers blind!! Although she's been written up in the past for all the overcharging and falsified rabies information, by the way puts your pets in danger! Georgia been stealing from the store as well. Now as of 09/03/2016 we can add assault to the list, she literally shoved another groomer out of her way. 13 of her co-worker's have quit or have been fired themselves for turning her into the corporate headquarters. Their attempts failed because the management team prior to July 2016 failed to do their job.

She's been transferred from the forum Petco because the groomers couldn't stand by and watch her ripping off hard working people, seniors and young couples, it's all of no consequence to Georgia. Georgia has received not 1 but 3 finals and if you get one you're supposed to be shown the door. This was the fault again of the previous management team before July 2016.

She has over charged people for more than 3 years. Examples: teeth brushing, shed less treatments, nail filing certain shampoos and treatments, nail clippings and even baths. Many of these add-ons were not done on your pets. If you called for a bath you're going to be charged for a full service groom every time, that's 30$ extra and over 3 years that extra 30-50 dollars goes in her pocket along with your tips.

Georgia had many unsuspecting customers that she's been stealing from but because she's very very good at pretending she's interested them, little do they know what she says about them when they walk out the door, it's despicable. I would also like to add due to the perseverance of some people, Georgia has now been fired from Petco as well as the one that exposed her for what she truly is. Now I can say with great comfort, justice has been done by the new and great management team at Petco. I would encourage you to continue shopping there and also getting your pets groomed in the salon. The new management team in place is the best.

PETCO Company Profile