Find a Pet Stores partner

3. Pet Stores

3.9/5 (2104 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Petco

Petco sells anything you need for your dog, cat, bird, reptile or other small pet. Products include food, treats, toys, supplies and medicine. You can purchase pet products or refill prescriptions online or at any Petco location. Veterinary and grooming services are available at select locations.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petco Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?

Original review: May 22, 2021

My experience the several times going into Petco has been the best working with Gary (cashier). He is a kind soul and a ray of sunshine. He makes my day as I shop for items for my puppy. Very helpful and pleasant to speak to. I hope Gary works here forever and gets a BIG raise! The grooming department can use some improvement with time management and communication with their clients on what is available. Also, reaching out to pet owners if something can't be done.

Original review: March 28, 2021

My cat loves to go outdoors. This Harness and Leash makes it easy for both of us to sit on our porch or patio without fear. It took some work to figure out the perfect one for her with the ease of getting on and off her by me. The team at the Frankfort, Kentucky store always has the answers. I trust them and enjoy being helped by a team that makes you feel so welcome. Thank You, Elizabeth, Alison and Motley. You know they say three heads are better than one and I agree. Keep working as a Team and I will always look forward to coming to you for answers. Diana

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I gave up another well known company when I found Petco and, I'm glad I did. The staff as well as the managers are extremely polite, nice and very helpful. They take the time 2 answer your questions and are never too busy to explain to you the nature of your question. They don't rush you. Vicki, Athena, Maureen, Nicki, Gabby, Carley, and Emily as well as ones I may not have mentioned, have the best personalities and are great at their job. They know the answers to your questions as well as giving you more info along with it. Petco in Brooklawn is a terrific store with a staff that knows what you as well as your pet needs. A very clean environment, and well managed store with a knowledgeable staff. Great prices great staff, couldn't ask for better!!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PETCO What an amazing company. I have shopped at PetCo for many years at many locations and always found the employees very helpful and pleasant. My most recent interaction was beyond good customer service. I sent PetCo an email letting them know my pet had died and could they please remove me from their mailing list as it made me sad every time they sent me a new advertisement.

First they sent me this nice note back: "We are so sorry to hear about your loss, and our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. We completed your unsubscribe request, and you will stop receiving all non-transactional emails within 48 – 72 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience the email caused. Thank you again for being part of the Petco family and giving us the opportunity to address your request." Then they sent me flowers! Unbelievably kind and thoughtful from such a large company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Do NOT bring your dog here for grooming, they will hurt your dog without letting you know about it!!! I have to say this particular Petco store has the worst customer and pet grooming service EVER!!! I made an online appointment for my dog for a full bath and hair cut service on 10/2 and when I went in that day, they said they couldn’t see it on the system, I even showed them my confirmation text message that has the time and date on it, their reply was, "We are too busy today," and send me home. The lady said, "You can come back tomorrow." Well, I don’t have a choice at that time so when went home, what a waste of my time. By the way, every staff at this petco store (coralville, IA) were mean, you can tell none of them really love animals and they all seems like they hated their job.

Anyway, I showed up the next day and gave my dog to them for the grooming service. When everything is done, when I ready to pay at the check out, the person even asked me for tips. Wow, that’s professional!!! I asked the groomer is everything ok? She said yea, everything is good. When I took my dog home, I realized there’s a huge deep cut right at her stomach and she is bleeding badly. I was so piss and I couldn’t believe they didn’t say anything. When I called the store, no one answer the phone and I don’t even have the option to leave a message. So, I called their hotline and they said their manager will give me a call back tomorrow morning because there is nothing that they can do now!! Anyway, pictures speak louder than words, you guys just take a look at those pictures. This is horrible, my dog is just an imperial Shih tzu which only weighs 5 pounds and now she is still bleeding and in a lot of pain!!! Do not bring your dog here, they don’t care about your dog.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I placed an order for puppy food and puppy training pads on September 8 at 12:27 pm for same-day delivery. I received an email at 3:55 pm stating the order is on the way. At 5:15 pm I received an email stating my order was canceled. I contacted customer service to see why my order was canceled, the customer service rep said the order was canceled because of technical difficulties. I asked to speak to a supervisor to see if the order could be replaced because I had the COVID-19 virus and was unable to go to the store to pick items up. The rep refused to let me speak to a supervisor. She stated the order had already been canceled and I would receive a refund in 2-3 business days.

On September 14, 2021, I still have not received my refund. I call customer service back to find out the order status was still out for delivery 6 days later and no refund had been processed. Now I'm told I have to wait another 2-3 business days to receive my refund. Horrible same-day delivery service and customer service is just as bad. I will not be doing business with this company again. Petco why do you offer services your company can't do. The hold process was a complete fail.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

If you are expecting your order to be delivered same day or next day, as promised on-screen per item and promised again at checkout, you are being duped. Kitty cat was going in for surgery Wed, so placed “next day” order on Tues so we’d have by the time she came home. Not only was order NOT DELIVERED next day, but 3 days later it’s still not here —in fact, it has NOT EVEN SHIPPED YET!!!! Four days later and my items are still sitting in the warehouse. To top it off Petco is REFUSING TO CANCEL THE ORDER, telling me I can take it all to a store near me, once they do deliver, to get a refund. No, I can’t… I am disabled with a 5lb lifting limit; that is why I buy online and have it delivered. So, I will simply file a dispute with my credit card co so that payment is not released, seeing as how my order has not even shipped yet.

Will now place this same order with AMAZON, knowing I’ll at least receive my order by the date promised. (Only chose Petco as they promised NEXT DAY delivery on those items vs 2-days thru Amazon.) This happened once before with Petco, but it will never happen again; they admittedly have no control over the shipping process. And due to their refusal to help (twice) when order screw-ups were their fault, I will never shop with Petco again. Many other choices out there — many who actually appreciate their customers and honor their commitments.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Petco, Warren Rd., Westland, MI Location! This used to be our go-to place for our furbabies...NOT anymore! Every time we had our dog get a nail trim...it was an okay job and they were always great at fitting us in. With Covid19 it takes forever to get into the vet for anything, little lone, a nail trim...so Petco worked in a pinch. The reason it was an okay job was because after the nail trim there was an unfinished stray piece of hangnail or sharp edges left behind or and nails uneven. It was frustrating but after a walk or two the nails filed down. I decided this last time to ask for a trim plus the file to prevent this problem. BIG MISTAKE! The result was much worse!

We felt terrible as we trusted Petco and had lots of errands to run...we drove around with our furbaby in the back seat noticing him licking a paw then pulled over to find blood all over our back seat!!! I called Petco (we were already driving right back there) and reported our poor furbaby was bleeding from the quick! I let them know we were heading back so they could see and apply a powder to stop the bleeding. When I entered they ignored us and after a few minutes acknowledged us saying..."be with ya in a minute."

To which I replied, "He's bleeding and I just spoke to you...he needs help!" After another few minutes, she called another groomer to the counter..."Ya wanna take care of this?" Our furbaby was petrified! The groomer tending to the wound blamed it all on our furbaby saying, "He's a puller! That's why this happened!" Furious, I explained we've been bringing our furbabies here over the last 2 decades and NEVER had this happen with a nail trim...however, we never had the upgraded ($5 more) nail service before! SO BEYOND UPSET!!!! NEVER EVER WILL BE BACK and We will follow up with Petco's Corporate Office and the BBB!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

The title pretty much sums it up, as a pet store Petco is the worst possible option. The employees rarely have even a basic level of knowledge of animal caretaking needs, and the animals in the store are kept in terrible conditions. They are also bad about where they get their animals. Some of the things that they are known to do:

-Inject glass fish with dyes to make them more colorful (this usually kills them a few weeks after you buy them).
    -Keeping reptiles in improper conditions that result in sickness/death.
    -Importing wild caught animals that are sickly and ill suited to being pets.

-The mammals such as the puppies are often sourced from puppy mills (or equivalent), horrible facilities with incredibly high death rates.

If you want a pet, do not get them from petco, supporting them only leads to them continuing to abuse animals. I would suggest instead finding a smaller local pet store, or smalltime breeder. They are one of the worst companies around, and unless customers stop buying from them they won't bother to stop mistreating/killing animals.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I put an order at Petco.com and after I hit submit button, I realized that I send it to my old address. I immediately contacted a representative through the chat and was told that they can't do anything about that. They can't change the shipping address nor they can cancel the order. I called the 888 phone number and was told to wait when the order ships and then call them back so that they can try and "catch the package with the carrier and send it to the warehouse". WHAT???? It is absolutely ridiculous and I will never be back to Petco, online or physical store. There are better places to shop for your furry friends.

Petco Company Information