3.11/5

Looking for a pet store?

620 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This is how a Petco store manager and dog trainer could have ruined a young dog’s socialization and possibly his life. We have a 16-week-old puppy. We had been taking to the Bremerton, Washington Petco for about four weeks for their free puppy play sessions on the weekends. The first few weeks it was fine, but in the last two weeks it unfortunately became clear that the trainer doesn’t seem to understand the purpose of these sessions. Our puppy has progressively been getting better about being calmer during play because we have specifically asked the trainer to interrupt his play more often, to have him sit and get a treat before continuing play. This is a proven and standard method used by world-class trainers such as Dr. Ian Dunbar, used to teach a puppy that the owner stopping play or asking for a recall or sit is not the end of the play session--rather, the puppy gets rewarded with play for a good sit and a calm moment.

The Petco trainer began punishing our puppy for typical excited puppy play (simple/common things like pawing or jumping--no inappropriate biting or anything else concerning) by asking us to sit outside the pen for 15-20 minutes and watch the other puppies play. She said he needed to “be calmer,” but how are you supposed to teach a 16-week-old puppy to be calmer by forcing him out of play sessions for a long period of time so he can become frustrated? This isn’t a class where puppies are learning obedience or how to walk on leash. This is a play session, supposedly intended to teach young puppies good bite inhibition and appropriate play with other dogs. But that’s not how Petco is using it, and it would easily have led to our puppy developing frustration and reactivity toward other dogs because of her negative methods.

The training method she used on our puppy is called negative punishment, as defined by professional dog trainers. Not a method any reasonable person should be using on a 16-week-old puppy. You have to teach puppies impulse control in stages, progressively making the little breaks longer over time. You can’t suddenly ask for a 10 minute-plus break and expect the puppy to learn anything (except frustration). It’s ridiculous that Petco's trainers don't know this, and are punishing a puppy for normal puppy behavior--excitement--with frustration. This trainer doesn’t seem to understand the basic tenet of animal training: reward for good behavior.

We tried talking to the store manager, whose response was completely unhelpful and inappropriate. He didn’t attempt to understand what we were saying or where we were coming from. Instead, all he did was defend the trainer without even trying to understand the circumstances. He suggested that “maybe she did this because of a safety issue.” How could there be a safety issue with a 16-year-old puppy? (Besides, she specifically said there was no safety issue, that it was purely about "excitement.") Even if there was a safety concern, negatively punishing a puppy will hardly rectify any problem. It will cause one. The manager also said outright that he would not be speaking with the trainer about our complaint, so offered absolutely no help to us and no attempt to understand or figure out a solution.

On top of all that, he argued that Betsy hadn’t had any prior complaints, yet in the short time we’ve been going here we’ve seen multiple people leave seemingly confused or disgruntled and haven’t returned. Regardless, it was clear from his behavior that he couldn’t care less about customer satisfaction. I also spoke with the regional manager by phone, and he said that the trainer at this location was following Petco's policies. I clarified that their policies could be causing long-term behavioral damage to puppies being brought here, and he didn't seem concerned. He said he'd spoken with the trainer in question and she didn't dispute anything I'd said in my complaint. So the real issue here is that Petco is okay with their trainers utilizing negative and potentially highly damaging methods with the dogs being brought there.

The regional manager said he would take my issue to the trainer policy-makers at Petco, but specifically said he doubted they would change anything. I also had to ask again about the store manager and his lack of customer service or concern, and the regional manager said he would look into it. Whatever that means. I'm hoping that by sharing our experience, we can try to protect other peoples’ puppies who may be experiencing some of Petco's negative training methods. I highly recommend you take your puppy elsewhere for socialization and training, as Petco clearly doesn't care about your puppy so much as they care about protecting themselves.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Absolutely horrible experience. Alright first off all the workers were just sitting around talking instead of helping. Finally one guy turned around after I stood there for seven minutes. Just to find out the guy works in the reptile department and not the fish department so he had no clue how to handle or inform me about my fish. They attempted to sell me a 40 dollar goldfish, when the sticker under its tank with a picture of the fish I wanted said 6.99$ and they refused to give the fish to me for that price saying it was 40$ when the tag said 6.99$. So I can promise you my family and I will never be shopping at any Petco ever again. WATERTOWN PET SUCKS. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I set up an appointment online for grooming service for my dog, a Cocker Spaniel well behaved dog, service that has been provided several times before for this same store under similar conditions, after wasting about an hour getting to the store and providing all the paperwork for rabies shot, which was up to date, they denied the grooming service. The manager of this department at the store, John **, indicated that the service is up to the groomer preferences and she did not want to do it. The groomer, a girl named Gu or something like that was negative to provide the service since we stepped into the store and was trying to find excuses for rejecting the service.

This is unacceptable, they cannot reject the service without a reasonable explanation, and they totally wasted my time and patience. What kind of business is this? It looks like they are more concerned about how hard the work might be, than any other issue. If they think that the job might take longer, then charge a higher price, maybe they are too lazy to take some jobs and being very selective based on their preferences. This is very disappointing and frustrating, for sure this is the last time I will visit this store for any product and I will encourage all my friends to not visit this store anymore.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I purchased an expensive aquarium filtration system from Petco in Palmdale Ca. I brought the system back within 3 weeks as it did not work and they would not return it or provide store credit since I could not produce the "original receipt" even though the store clerk who sold me the system was there and knew I purchased it AND I used my Petco rewards account that shows when I bought it. The store still refused to return the item stating their policy requires original receipts. I asked then why do you have the rewards site that shows purchases, no one could answer my question.

FYI, Petsmart honors their returns with rewards receipts. I will ONLY shop Petsmart from now on and I would suggest all consumers be aware of the Petco policy before shopping at any Petco store. Also, when I went to the store to inquire about the return, management wouldn't even take a minute to talk to me, they just sent out staff to relay their responses. That's their way of treating customers.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Just to provide background: I am a regular PETCO customer. I purchased two guinea pigs from PETCO back in February and have planned to buy more. My boyfriend and I spend hundreds of dollars buying all of our pet products from PETCO. Yesterday, my boyfriend bought bedding and hay for our pigs and let me know that he saw a beautiful, fluffy brown baby pig that he thought I would love. So today, on this beautiful Saturday, I drove to PETCO to see this pig so I could decide if we would add him to the family.

When I arrived at the tank, the guinea pig was hiding in the hideaway, so I could not see it. I looked around for someone to help us. I finally made eye contact with an employee (name tag: Rai) who asked how they could help. I asked if we could see the guinea pig. Rai responded “Well do you plan on buying it?” Confused, I asked her to repeat the question and she said again very confidently “Are you going to buy the guinea pig? I will only let you see it if you plan on purchasing it.” Completely shocked, I walked away and looked for another employee.

Rai approached the employee I was waiting to speak to, so I asked her if there was a manager available. Confidently, she told me she was the manager. I asked her why I would need to promise to buy a guinea pig before seeing it. She stated that groups of kids come into the store asking to see pets, so she had to be certain. I asked if I looked like a child? She said “No ma’am...” then said “Well, I can get someone to show you the guinea pig...”

At this point, I was too hurt and offended to even stay in the store. My boyfriend and I left. I am deeply hurt at how I was treated not only as a loyal PETCO customer, but as a person. I am also disappointed that I did not see the guinea pig I was interested in. If this is how PETCO treats their customers, they don’t deserve them. A few times I’ve noticed some employees aren’t as helpful as others, but this is by far the worst experience I’ve had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Been looking for a grain free dog food for our dogs since both have a sensitive stomach. Found Taste of the Wild brand (recommended by our vet) at Petco store in Valencia, CA and bought a 12-can case there & learned that they offered home delivery if we subscribe. Well, went online today to make our 1st online purchase with Petco (have never purchased from Petco online before, we use Amazon, Walmart & Costco online all of the time, but none carry this brand: Taste of the Wild) everything was fine until we were ready to check out & found a $ 60.00 surcharge (that's right, a $ 60.00 SURCHARGE) added to our total because our PO Box # was part of our address.

Now, mind you we live in a rural area where we do not get mail delivery & we always have our PO Box # added to our address in case items ship via USPS, because you never know how a retailer would ship. When we called to complain about this surcharge, we were told that it was because our PO Box # was listed but didn't even bother to help us out & say, let's remove that & proceed with your purchase... Well, no, their customer service person was NOT helpful one bit, we canceled our order, but we're told that our refund (because they had already charged us the total price of the food + the surcharge of $ 60.00) would take between 5 - 7 days!!! Never again would we buy from Petco online!! NEVER!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I am very disappointed with Petco customer service. I signed up for the repeat delivery back in May. The cat food was suppose to get to me every 2 months. I've got my first one on time. The next one didn't come to me. I just received from the Post Office a note, that I need to come to their coalition and pick it up. I called Petco customer service right away and explained the situation. The response I've got: It will be delivered to my door soon. It's been over 2 weeks since. Now I called Petco and spoke to a supervisor. She said something like: "Depending on the package size it sometimes gets delivered to the post office for you to pick up". She didn't say she is sorry, only said if I want I can stop repeat deliveries. Right, after they charged my card on July 27th, and now it's August 13th. Horrible customer service! They lost one more customer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I bought two, Litter Maid Classic Series Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box from Petco, two years in a row for 179.00. This product only lasted one year, because of the poor quality, and Petco only offers a 60-day return for the merchandise. Electronics should last longer than 60-days especially when it cost 179.00. When a company sells poor quality merchandise, it is the consumer’s responsibility to reject their products and services. Therefore, I will no longer shop at Petco, because of their return policy and their poor quality merchandise.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

All the workers are very friendly and always willing to help. Most of them are always busy doing something to make the store look nice but the place does need a lot of upgrading!! Come on Petco, you can do better for these employees that work hard to make us customers feel welcomed!! And need more workers in the store!! Store #1306.

Original review: July 27, 2018

On October 13th, 2017 at 11:15 or 11:20 AM I went to Petco 160 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA 94087. As I enter inside of the store there was this ** woman who was a Petco employee who looks at me as I entered the store. When she looked at me I felt very uncomfortable. I walked over to the aisle where they sold dog collars and leashes. I recently adopted a puppy from this same store August 5th, 2017 and I purchased a Bond & Co Blue Bling Collar item number (2484619) but it was too big for my puppy and it came apart so I needed to get him another one. As I'm in the collar aisle I grabbed a collar and try to put it on my puppy. I ripped the cardboard that was attached to the collar because it was in the way. I ripped the cardboard tag in half and placed the cardboard with the bar code in the small shopping cart.

I noticed that the collar was too big. It was a small and I needed a smaller one. So I placed the item in my shopping cart and found the one I was looking for. The same ** woman who looked at me very strangely as I entered the store walked over to me. She says to me "Can I help you with anything?" I told her "Yes! I'm looking for a extra small collar because I purchased the same collar for my puppy a couple of months ago and it came apart." I told her that I needed a extra, extra small collar and I wish the collars had more holes in it to adjust the neck area. I also showed her the collar that I tried on my puppy but it was too big. I said to her “I tried this collar on my puppy and I accidentally ripped off the cardboard because I needed to try it on my puppy. I’m so sorry about that.” She says "Oh let me take that to the front and they can take care of it."

I picked up another collar that was Bond & Co Black Bling Collar (item number 2484791) I asked the female employee that was talking to me “Do you guys carry this kind in a smaller size?” She replies "No, I don't think so. Whatever is out here is all that we have. But we do have these adjustable collars for smaller dogs that will fit their necks perfectly." I reply “I have one of those collars but I like the bones that are on this one because it makes him look so cute.” She laughs and says "That collar looks really nice on him. It goes well with his coat." She says "If you have any more questions please let me know." I told her "Thank You."

As I’m shopping, my puppy is whining because he has to use the bathroom. So I walked to the front of the store and I noticed the employee ** who was the cashier. She was talking to the same woman I was talking to and they were both looking at me very strangely. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable. So ** walks towards my way looking at me very weird. I said to ** "Is it okay if I leave my cart right here because I need to take my puppy outside to pee?" She says "Sure no problem." I left my shopping cart near the register as I took my puppy outside in his Sherpa carrier bag that I purchased from the same Petco August 5, 2017 that cost $59.99. I walk outside to see if my puppy was going to pee pee but he didn't. So I come back inside of PetCo and I grab my shopping cart and ** comes up to me and my puppy and she says "Oh my goodness. He is so cute. How is he doing so far."

Every time I go to Petco ** and I are always talking and she’s always playing with my puppy Shepherd. I said “He’s doing good and we were shopping looking for another collar because the one he had was torn all up.” She says "Oh, is it okay if I give him a treat?" I say "Sure but he's very picky." She came back with a treat which was The Boutique Duplex Creme Cookies which was the Halloween Colors. ** says "Oh my gloves are clean. I just changed them. I try to change them every hour." I say to her "Oh that's good."

Then she breaks down the cookie and she's feeding my puppy. I said "Oh wow, I'm surprised he's eating it.” There was some pieces that fell off inside of my Shepherd’s carrier bag. I said "He has so many things buried inside of his bag, old chicken and treats so he goes digging for it." ** laughs! Then she asked me "Oh are you coming to our Doggy Contest tomorrow." I said "What time does it start?" She says "It starts at 1 tomorrow. You should come." She walks back over to the register because there were customers in line.

** says to me "Oh have you checked out the costumes? They’re 30% off and check out our clearance stuff because they have collars and clothes, they have a lot of good stuff over there. Check it out. I'll show you some stuff." So she walks me over to where the costumes were located. The first item she points out to me was Reggae Dog Halloween Wig (item number 2608013). She picks up the item and says “this is so cute. Oh my goodness. This so is cute.” She saying this is so cute while she’s laughing. Then she says to me “I don't mean anything by this hat. I really didn't." I have single braids in my hair not dreadlocks and I thought it was kind of disrespectful her to point out that item first especially when there was so many other items there. I told her I was going to go check out the clearance section which was located in the front of the store next to the bird section to see what was over there and then go I’ll go back to the costumes.

I found a lot of good items for my puppy Shepherd. I put some of the items inside of my small black shopping pushcart. My puppy began whining again. This time it was a lot. He was acting as if he needed to use the bathroom again. ** was at the register and I told her “I’ll be right back. He has to go to the bathroom again so I’m going to take him outside again to pee." She looked at me kind of weird like “why is she going outside again is she stealing.” That was the look she gave me. So, I left my puppy carrier bag inside of the shopping cart with my cash and my credit cards, and my cell phone inside of the store near the window so I could see my cart from the outside of the store and I was able to see ** from the register. I took my puppy outside to pee and he didn't use the bathroom.

So I go back inside of Petco. I said to ** "He is so stubborn. He didn't even use the bathroom." I grabbed my shopping cart and continued looking through the items in the clearance section. Five minutes later my puppy is acting up again. This time I am getting so frustrated with him. So I take him out of his carrying bag, I put him down on the floor so he could walk around but he kept whining. So I take him outside for the last time. I leave my basket with my puppy carrier bag with all the items inside of the store along with my credit cards, my cash and my cell phone near the window and I was still able to see my basket from the outside of the store and I was able to see the Hispanic male cashier from outside through the window.

My puppy finally pees. Thank God! I walk back inside of Petco and I grabbed my shopping. So I grab my cart so I could continue shopping. ** walks over to where I was and says "Oh what did you end up finding?" So she's looking at the items in my cart. I showed her the puppy outfits I was able to find in the Clearance section and all the other items in my cart. It was a total of 15 items which was 4 xs outfits, snacks for my puppy and chew sticks and collar, leash, and some treats bags.

There was a young girl standing next to ** with her puppy Pitbull. The young girl started asking ** questions so I continued looking through the clearance items. There was a carrying bag which I thought was super cute. So I got in line because I wanted ** to check the price of it. I put my puppy inside of the bag and I was like “** he’s too big for this bag. He looks uncomfortable.” ** says “Oh yeah it is too small. He doesn’t have enough space to turn around and plus I think that bag is not on clearance. I believe it’s regular price.” So I left the item at the register with **. I told ** I was going to go check out some costumes.

I walked over to where the costumes were and I was looking for a costume for my puppy. I found a Bumblebee Hoodie Dog Costume that was a xs which was perfect for my Shepherd. As I was trying on the Bumblebee Costume there was older Gentlemen came up to me and said "Oh my goodness. That is the cutest dog ever.” He pets my puppy and I started walking towards the front because I wanted to show ** the costume. She was talking to the young girl with the Pitbull and the young girl’s mother. I said to ** "Look at this costume. It fits him. It's a extra small." She looks at me and says "Oh you have a lot of items in your cart. You're going to need to bring all of your items to the register and leave them there."

I said to her because I was shocked "Why do I have to do that? I never had to do that before ever. I don't even have to do that at PetSmart. This is the first time anyone has ever told me to bring my items to the front of the store because I have a lot of items in my cart." Mind you, I only had a total of 15 small items in my black small shopping cart with my puppy’s carrying bag. She looks at my dog and says "I can ring the costume up. Are you done shopping?” I say to her "No, I am not done shopping but I am now. I am very pissed off that I have to leave all of my items at the register because you think I have a lot of items in my cart. I am never coming to this store ever again. This is ridiculous. I don’t even want this costume and I don’t even want the stuff. This is ridiculous."

** goes inside of my basket and began taking all of my items out of my shopping cart. She starts looking through my personal items that were in my puppy carrier bag. I guess she thought I was stealing things because I always keep chewtoys and toys inside of my puppy carrier bag because he needs things to play with and chew on while I’m shopping. I said to her “why are you doing this?" ** says "It's store policy. I really don't want to do this but I have to. It’s our store policy." The lady that was there with her daughter and her Pitbull had a lot of stuff in their basket. I said to ** "Are you going to take their stuff out of their basket too because they have a lot of stuff in their basket as well." She says to me "Yes I am." She didn't do anything. She didn't take anything out of the other customer basket.

At this point I'm was livid. I didn't even want any of the items she removed from my shopping basket. I was so upset I felt so discriminated against, I felt violated. I felt like she was being racist against me. I was so upset. I walked to the back of the store to look for another employee and ask them about their policy. I saw this young lady who was stocking items on the shelf. She was really pretty, tall, thin, and she wore glasses. I don’t know her name. I see this young lady every time I go to Petco because I’m always buying stuff for my puppy and sometimes for my elderly neighbor's dog. I asked her "What is your store policy about having too many items in the cart? Do you guys tell the customers to leave all the items at the register?" She said "No, I have never heard of this or any customers having to do this. Let me get my manager. Would you like to talk to her?”

I told her what ** did to me and I felt so disrespected all because I was the only ** woman in the store and the only person she told me to remove all the items out of my cart and leave them at the register. The young girl says "I am so sorry that you are going through this. That is not right. I would be pissed off. That’s ** up as well. Let me get my manager." The young lady went to the back to get the store manager. I waited a minute for the store manager to come out.

When the manager walked out I was shocked because it was the same woman that was helping me when I was looking for a collar and the same woman whom I didn’t feel comfortable being in my presence, the same woman that was talking to ** while I was shopping. When she walked towards me I felt so uncomfortable and annoyed because I knew she had something to do with what was going on. She had this look on her face as if she really didn't care about what I had to say. She walks over to me and she says "Can I help you?" I said to her "What is the policy with having too many items in your shopping cart? If there's too many items do an employee come over and physically remove all the items from your cart and leave them at the front of the store.”

The manager says "No! We don’t have a policy of any sort." I said "An employee here removed all the items from my shopping cart and takes them to the register. I feel discriminated against all because I’m ** and I am shopping here. What? I’m not supposed to be here?" The “manager" which was a store Lead says to me with a stank facial expression as if she did not care about anything and she wasn’t going to do anything about the situation says to me "I am sorry that you had to go through this. I will speak with the employee." I looked at her and wanted to smack her because her tone was like she didn't care.

In a loud tone I said "I am so pissed off that this has happened to me. I am a ** woman shopping and I come here all the time and shop and I spend a lot of money here. I will never come back to this store. I don't need to steal anything out of this store. I have well more than enough money to purchase anything out of this store. What she thought I was going to steal something. I am never coming back to this store again. I feel offended and I am pissed off." The manager kept saying "I will talk to this employee." Then she says to me "I have a ** boyfriend. I understand." I looked at her like "What does that have to do with what happened to me?"

I was about to walk away and then I asked this woman her name. I reached out and she acted as if she did not want to shake my hand. She gave me the tip of her fingers and she says "My name is **. Have a nice day and see you soon." The way she said it was as if she didn’t want me back in the store. She walks away and goes right to the office. I was so angry I grabbed bag of Bill-Jack original chicken liver for my puppy, I walked to the front of the store looking for my items. I was so hurt, frustrated, angry, irate, that I could've cried and I wanted to really go off on the ** and the manager ** because of what they did to me. I was so frustrated that I was going to leave the items at the register so I started putting things back because I was so angry.

I gathered 9 items out of the 15 items that was at the register ** was working at. I went to another register where the Hispanic male was the cashier. The lady that was there with her daughter and her Pitbull puppy was looking at me like they wanted to talk to me because they knew I was upset and hurt. ** says to me "I can help you over here." I was not going to go over to her register because I was so angry with her that she could do something like that to me. She scanned all of my items and I didn't even look at her because I was disgusted with how she treated me. I gathered all of my items and I left the store and went home.

I believe the leader ** told ** to watch me and remove all of my items from the store because she probably thought I was stealing. They can check all the cameras to see I was shopping like I always do and I didn’t do anything that would suggest I was stealing. When I removed the cardboard from the dog collar only because it was in the way and I wanted to try it on my puppy and I even told ** exactly what happened. I kept going outside to take my puppy to go pee but ** was able to see me from the inside of the store to the parking lot. I wasn’t anywhere near my car, I even left items in my basket with my puppy carry bag with my cash and bank cards and credit cards inside of the store. I even showed ** all the items that I found that were in the clearance section, clothes for my puppy, treats, collars, leashes, chewtoys, etc.

Everything that I had in my cart was under $10.00. Nothing expensive. I don't need to steal anything. I don't want a criminal record. I purchased my puppy from Petco August 5th, 2017 and spent over $700 that day and that included the adoption. I had a ton of stuff in my basket and no one never once approached me to say "I'm sorry. You have too many items in your cart. I need to remove these items and bring them all to the front. It's our store policy."

I knew for a fact that this was not true because if there was a lot of people in the store who had a ton of stuff in their cart they would have to leave everything at the register and then next thing you know the customers items are lost and there's mess at the registers, etc... I knew she was lying to me. She only did it because of the lead ** said something to her and because I was ** woman. But ** knew better because the other customers that were there she did not remove their items from their basket and told them to leave it at the front of the store while they continued shopping.

After I left the store I went straight home and I started writing up what transpired and I called Corporate and I told them what happened and I also called Petco October 13th, 2017 at 8:12 PM and I spoke with a lead manager. I can't remember her name but she told me to call Corporate and call ** who was the manager during the day. I never felt so discriminated against. I wasn't wearing anything that would cause them to think I would steal anything, I was wearing a black shirt that had a tiger with blue eyes which were bedazzled. I had a blue jean pants, and I had my Google badge on with my puppy in his small carry bag.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been ordering cat food from Petco for over a year, but never again. This last order was late, short, and damaged. It took 10 days to receive my order which was for one carton (24 cans) of cat food. I received 20 loose cans that were just thrown in the box with no packing material, so they were all damaged from shipping. The person I communicated with on their Chat line was very nice, provided a refund, but was not fluent in English. It took some further explanation before he understood what I had written. Petco seems to have instituted cost cutting measures the results of which are fewer customers.

Original review: July 10, 2018

ON June 6 2018 my wife had a appointment for CODIE (our Dog) to be groomed. When she arrived there was a new employee who ask if my dog had any medical problems which she replied yes and was asked what was the problems. Employee was told he have seizures and my wife was told, "We do not accept dog who have heart problems or seizures." My dog had been groomed at this PETCO groomer for over 3 to 4 years. We have never been asked this question nor is it posted and should be asked each time your pet arrive because thing change.

Original review: July 7, 2018

At Petco 44th Street in Phoenix 85008 last week, I went to store to get treats out of the treat bar and #flieseat** came out of the bins, told the employee, and she said she thought she had gotten them all out, and **stuck her hands/arms in bin and tossed the treats around to scare out any remaining bugs out.** I asked if she knew #flieseat**, she said she knew that. I told her sticking her hands and arms in the bins was unsanitary. I guess since they are just animals, sanitation is not a priority. DISGUSTING. Talked to supervisor in corporate who backed up employees handling of situation who told me to just buy the pre-bagged treats, they had same assortment. Except when I went to the store to buy them, the employee said they didn't.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Yep buy one treat get one free “in store coupon only” didn’t work. I went to 3 different stores drove 32 miles, round trip between them. The stores was not stocked with the same ONLINE products. Talked to managers and they were willing to do “workarounds”. You want me to come back again, I don’t think so. Hey KNOCK KNOCK corporate, called left a message with operator 2 days ago for an executive complaint, I’ve been ignored. Horrible advertising “gimmick “ to get customers into the store.

PETSMART, TARGET, WALMART all have better product selections. Guess what they're closer and even if I have to pay more I would rather do business with them. I’ll "guarantee" I’ll be posting on social media every chance I get about this experience. Pet industry is over a 70 billion dollar annual business, you have lost my dollars and I’ll will share my "experience" with other consumers to make better choices and not get sucked into your "games". Meow & Woof.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Having been a customer of repeat delivery for over a DECADE, the last year or 2 has been a nightmare of damaged items, open cans w/ food and bugs loose in the box, wrong items... have ONLY/EVER ordered cat food, and most recently, I ordered 1 case of wet cat food, received 2 cases of 12 oz. canned prescription diet DOG FOOD. (I guess the picture of the DOG on the can didn't clue them in that maybe this was not the right food?) So not only did I not have anything to feed my cat, but I had to haul this load into a store. Their usual resolution is to send a free case of the correct item, which shows up approx. 2 weeks after placing the original order. After a while that doesn't even matter... doesn't cover the inconvenience all the way around. They clearly don't read the orders that come in, judging by all the complaints in reviews. Save yourself a hassle, go w/ another company.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Love ALL the people at PETCO. Love all of their products and their groomers too. What I do NOT like is their "over-pricing" of their goods. Also that they get their living pets from suppliers that abuse small animals.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I rarely write reviews but wanted to say how pleasantly surprised I was to attend the dog Training classes at the Del Mar Petco on Via De La Valle. My dog and I have been working with Luis and he really has been a fabulous coach. I have had many dogs and have always done training classes and really like Luis' manner and positive approach. He made a real effort to work with me and find a time that worked for me, but most of all he's just really good at training you in a positive way to train your dog. I would definitely recommend his classes to anyone who is thinking about training. The price is also a win-win. Many other places I have gone for training have been far more expensive.

Original review: May 19, 2018

They left my dog in a tiny cage in a hot backroom for 2 hours and claimed his panting meant he was too stressed and wouldn't from him. He's a Pekingese with long hair; of course he was panting. Never do business with the Harrisville, UT Petco again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Not good with fish. Went in Saturday to buy a betta fish and several of them were sick. Two had fish rot so bad that they had no tails, and one was missing its upper fin as well. One of the Dalmatian Mollies had velvet and was dying. The same water is used for all fish - the betta fish also come from the same place and same water supply, even though they are kept in separate containers - it is the same water. They either need to get a new supplier or stop selling fish. How can you not notice a betta without tail or fins? Their beautiful tails and fins are what they are known for. I saw a beautiful betta that looked OK, but did not buy it, as if it came from the same supplier, it probably has the same diseases.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have a gorgeous one year and a half old Maltipoo with long gray hair that drags the ground. I take her to be groomed every 30 days. I took her to Petco for a feet, face and fanny trim. That's where they trim those three areas. I picked her up six and a half hours later with no phone call telling me she's ready and the girl was shaving off all of her hair. She was completely bald. I am sick to my stomach. She is doing nothing but itching, licking her bottom area. She has never ever had her haircut. She looks horrible and I am disgusted. I can't figure out anyone who could look at how beautiful she was when she walked in and take a shaver to her. I will never ever walk back in that store. Everyone beware. These groomers are not experienced. Half of them are cashiers they get put in there to fill in when they are short of help.

Original review: April 12, 2018

After years of loyal service, they refused to care for my dog. She had no change in her medical history yet, they didn’t want to groom her due to on and off tremors which have been stable and have not changed in the last year! And even though she was groomed by them just 8 weeks prior. The groomer was disrespectful and used poor language. I was embarrassed to even be associated with them and a company that would stand for that kind of behavior from their employees. Petco will no longer receive my business nor my friends or families. I know I’m a small fish in a big pond but I hope others are not treated this way.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Pocatello, Idaho - The girl that gave my dog a haircut was inexperienced and didn't seem like she knew what she was doing. She gave my dog back because apparently he was fighting with her when I know for a fact he never does that to any other groomer. He was even in there for 50 min. Got a call to come and get him. She told me that he had a knot under his chin and he was biting at the clippers and trying to get away. She was afraid that she would of cut him and told me that I needed to take him to a vet to get it removed. She gave him back with everything but his head shaved. I had to take him to another groomer and he did perfectly fine over there. So I am never taking my dog to PETCO to get groomed ever again.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Just found out a long time employee is no longer working there, where I don't know the reasons for this, I can tell you I won't be going back. His name was Zach, he was the only helpful person there for fish help, the other guy named Daniel is rude and very lazy, it's my understanding the only reason he's still employed there is he's friends with the manager, which is also lazy. I'm taking all my pet needs to one of the stores out of town, that's how bad this store's employees are.

Original review: March 1, 2018

It happened twice! I brought my Tibetan Spaniel to Petco Van Nuys for grooming. First time was about 8 months ago. Asking for a light groom, half an inch max, my dog came home with 1/4" from his skin. Never mind on that one, I let it go, although my dog went into hiding for about a week as if he felt naked. Couple of weeks ago, I brought my dog to grooming again at the same location, thinking that if I explain very well this time, it would prevent the problem. I even stated over the phone when I made appointment and when I brought him over regarding previous experience and asking please don't let it happen again. I said, "If it happens one more time, someone will be fired. I'm gonna raise hell all the way to corporate office."

Well, it sure it happened again and I did what I said I would do. I got verbal apology from store manager and he did not charge me for the grooming. I didn't care at all for not charging, but for my dog to wait for another 7 months or so for his hair to grow back, that's not cool! I chatted with someone at Petco online and was promised that my case it would be review and someone would contact me regarding this experience. Well, never happened! My dog is a Tibetan Spaniel, not a Chihuahua!!! His beautiful fur. Yes, it'll grow back, but to have it happened to him twice especially after I stressed the issue before leaving him with groomer for the second time is too much! I'll never bring my dog to Petco again! The best way to do for me is leaving it with social media to be aware of and think more than twice if you want to bring your dog for grooming at Petco.

Original review: March 1, 2018

PETCO store carry a wide range of products and the employees are very helpful. I have used their pet grooming service for years and never had a bad experience.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I bought a cage from Petco.com and now I realized the cage was going to be too small for my 10 month old German Shepherd. I cannot go without a cage for my dog. Left alone she will destroy my house. I called and asked for a recommendation and what options they had for a pet parent like me. They told me to return it to the nearest store. Not an option because xxl was not at the store. Then I asked what I should do. They told me to put the dog on a leash. I asked them where should I put the leash. Like are we serious!! A leash? Common. And that’s coming from “upper management” and then so I asked, "So what are my other options" and they told me to order a new cage and wait for that to arrive then return the old one.

So all human beings have the options to spend another 50-60 dollars on a cage and then wait for the cage before going to the store to return the smaller cage to get a refund. I’m sorry to inform Petco. But not all pet parents are made of money. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! My advice to Petco is maybe have a return or exchange policy that targets towards people with big dogs. Like pay for the difference of the cages and send a return label that can be scanned by the store to make sure the alternate cage was returned. Just a little suggestion.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It is very pricey but has a big selection. I love all the pets they have on hand for you to buy today. They have all the toys for that pet plus food and bedding. It's a 1 stop pet shop that you can take your pet in with you. Not make them sit in the car is a plus.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I go into the Petco at 1931 East Main Street in Spartanburg, SC monthly to purchase Canidae Dog Food for my Poodle. This is the closest business that sells it. I have been going monthly for approximately 6 years now. The company, Canidae, emails me coupons to use in the store monthly. I show them the coupon that was emailed to me, and they scan the barcode. So, I went in on 02/17 and went to the counter to purchase a bag, with a 30% off OOPS sticker on it... I presented the coupon of $5 off any bag, and the Manager, **, replied by saying he could not accept this coupon. I told him that I had been coming in every month for 6 years and using a coupon. I can look up the dates on my bank statements if anyone would take the time to look at the video. ** continued to tell me that he had NEVER taken a coupon like this. Lie number 1.

I then pointed to his cashier, **, who had also taken several of them from me. So SHE broke into our conversation rudely and said SHE had never taken one. Lie number 2. I'm not trying to get something for free here, but I want the public to know that this so called manager is WRONG. Once again, I can look up dates on my bank statement, if HIS DM or RM would like to view the video, where they will see, that BOTH ** AND ** TOOK MY COUPON, and now, suddenly won't take it any longer, and say that they've never taken it. This would not be a big deal if I were not disabled and not on a fixed income. Not to mention, I will NOT shop there again. EVER. And I WILL, let everyone know about this that does shop there. ** was extremely rude. He lied to my face. As did the cashier. I will make SURE that everyone knows his name. This could have been avoided.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The food products are rarely rotated. Staff members concern with sales only. They are better actors than the true performers. I have visited many of these locations and still have the same results.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I went to PETCO to get a bag of dog food and when I was checking out I inquired if Petco ever put out any coupons. This weird little weeny man at Tatum & Bell store Phoenix at about 12 PM on Sunday morning came to the register because the girl did not know. The price listed on the dog food was 19.99 and the register was ringing up $25.99. The little weeny guy would not let me explain and told me to "hush". I told him, "Don't tell me to hush" and he said I should leave the store like he is doing me some kind of favor to shop at that overpriced store. I could understand if I was making a scene but I was not. I just said, "Don't tell me to hush!" Then I told him, "** you!" I was sooo shocked and left.

This is not the first time I have discovered weird pricing and rudeness at this store. Walmart has pretty much the same required things for pets at half the price and PetSmart is even better. The little weeny man should not be working in retail as mentally he is ill-equipped. I have six animals and will never go back to that store again as there are way too many other stores that do not have the little weeny man. The little weeny man had short black hair that was a little curly. He had medium build and rather short height. No glasses. I do not think this store will be around long. Too rude and overpriced and too many other places to go. :)

PETCO Company Information