3.43/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

771 PETCO Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Carbondale location. For once I have come across a Petco that has knowledgeable employees. I'm completely surprised and happy about this. One of the managers has done an excellent job training. I'm all about aquatics and amphibians. Every employee running these stations gives me information that is not conflicting and if they don't know, sometimes they'll Google it for me. They price match to their website, which I found can be dollars cheaper. They're all friendly and I feel as if they value what they do. They greet customers, offer help and some if they actually want to learn. This store also carries Keyholes, Rainbow cichlids, Rams, Apistos, Threadfin rainbows, Pencil fish, Cherry Shrimp, Neon Gobies, salt water fish, corals, and regular fish. If the fish isn't there, you can request an order if it's on a list. They also had freshwater micro crabs (Thai crabs). I'm very impressed with this store.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Best thing about PETCO - they will help you find the lowest price on your pet food and match it every time you come in, as long as you bring your last, fairly current receipt from them. I get a bag of cat food worth 32.00 for 15.99 every time I shop.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Petco is a very nice and clean store where you can bring your pet but I wouldn't have them groom or cut my dog's nails simply because they tend to nick the nail where it left an impression on my dog. So I only shop there because they have quite the variety for pets but for grooming I go elsewhere.

Original review: March 28, 2019

The staff is well trained on the different products, able to answer my questions and are helpful when I'm trying to decide what to feed my pets or the best liter and treats. They make me feel welcome without smothering me by trying to sell me product I don't want. Taking a special interest in me and my pets makes me want to come back.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I think the customer service at PETCO is fantastic! When my Newfoundland was in terrible pain from arthritis, we tried everything to help him. Our vet tried one medication after another, along with supplements. The poor dog was still in pain, and only 5 years old. We thought we'd have to put him to sleep, he was so miserable. I was at PETCO picking up dog food, and took a look at the joint supplement aisle. So many choices--so confusing. One of the employees asked if he could help me. I told him about our Newfie, and he went straight to the PETCO brand of Joint Formula III. I thought it was rather pricey, but the alternative was to say goodbye to a young dog.

That employee saved my dog's life! Our big boy was running and jumping like a puppy after only a week on that supplement. It bought him an additional 7 years, and as long as he had his daily dose of Joint Formula III, he was pain-free. That was several years ago, and PETCO's customer service has never wavered. They just hire really good people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

An online order was placed through the company website for topical flea treatment for large cats. The purchase online and pickup at store option was selected since there was a reduced price from the price offered in the local brick an mortar location. The order was completed, payment made, a charge made to my bank account, and a confirmation email received. The email stated "We'll send you an email when your order is ready for pickup."

Forty minutes later a message was received stating "Thanks for your order! Unfortunately, the product(s) you ordered were not in stock at the store you selected." "Sit tight—one of our customer service representatives will call you shortly to help you find another store or a shipping solution for the products you ordered." Nobody called. Instead another message was received an hour and twenty three minutes later from customer relations reiterating the local store did not have the item and that they "want[ed] to make things right" and they were "offering [their] assistance to place the order online with free shipping." A number to call was given and a service number was included when making the call.

I went to the local store to see if the item was available. They had three left. I was angry and decided to wait a day or two before calling the telephone number. Four days later I called and had to withstand a fumbling support person on the other end who had to ask me three times who I was and four times what it was I was ordering over the course of twenty minutes. When the support person finally completed the order I was given a price that was more than one and a half times the store price and definitely not the original order price. After I challenged the price quoted I was then given the regular store price along with the addition of shipping and handling and taxes. This whole experience was a typical scenario for baiting and switching to avoid completing an order at the original order price.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I’ve rescued several salt water fish from Petco. Some of the workers have a passion for their fish, but they cannot take care of the fish everyday for whatever reason. I know they try. Several fish suffer and die in their store. It’s a horrible sight to see. Breaks my heart every time I go there.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

First time user of Petco. Product was to be shipped in three boxes. I received one and the other two were marked as delivered online. When I called they said to give it time, it may eventually show up, even though files already indicated the order had been delivered to someone. I was told if I did not receive my order to call back again and they would refund money paid. A good reason to shop at Chewy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Tried to order ** from the pharmacy. They said it was in stock. The prescription was at 1-800-PetMeds which was out of the medication. All PETCO had to do was call and have it transferred. They refused to make a call. I cancelled that and a few days later tried to put the prescription through directly from my vet. I was standing next to the vet when they called petco to confirm the new prescription. Petco insists that never happened and refuses to call my vet to get it straight. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with.... So far 3 1/2 hours dealing with them. All I have gotten so far is charged for medication they have not delivered.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Would give zero stars if it were an option. Ordered online, called and confirmed 2 day delivery. PETCO pulled out 57.28 same minute I ordered. Nothing arrived. Called again. Have it 2 or 3 days. 3 days later still NO order. Called again. "Oh sorry, UPS forgot to pick up your order." WHAT? "We will expedite it and you will have it Tuesday." This is 11 days now. Tuesday comes and till no order. Got a credit of 49.26. Called and asked why? "Oh you asked for a refund so we refunded your order in full." "NO I didn't ask for a refund and you charged me 57.28." "No we didn't." "Uhm, yes you did."

I asked if they wanted to see bank statement. Then magically PETCO guy found another transaction just being 'updated that very minute for a 7.02 credit. Now my refund has been processed in full and is there anything else I need? Well, what about the stuff I ordered that you have had my money for 11 days so I could not buy elsewhere? Do you not offer an apology, a discount or anything? Well, no I guess they don't because PETCO Customer "Non-Service" hung up on me. I will no longer shop there online or in store. Used to go to actual PETCO store at least once a week for the last 5 years, even though a competitor is closer. That was my first and last online order and my multiple experiences with a clueless and dishonest PETCO Customer Service lost me as a customer for good!

PETCO Company Information