2.94/5
  • 1 star
Based on 125 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

461 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Ordered dog food online. 3 days later they said something was wrong with shipment but didn’t say what. 2 days later, after out of food, they say it will be another 2 days before processing and shipping sometime after that. Tried to cancel order. Can’t guarantee it would go through. Wouldn’t let me talk to a supervisor. Wouldn’t even send me an email saying they will process a cancellation request. Basically on hold over an hour then spoke to rep for NO resolution!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I love my store on Gause Blvd. in Slidell, Louisiana... They are always helpful and hey did you know that all of the plants for aquariums and terrariums are 50% off?? Yes. I got some great deals!!! Also let me tell you the other day I called because I needed an aquarium a 55 gallon. But I just needed the aquarium not the light and the rest of the package so they did not have one in stock. Well the guy who was on the phone said that he would go pick one up at another store. Which was not very nearby. Anyway not only did I get the aquarium a couple of hours later. He called me then I got to the store and there were 2 of them. Well I wanted both of them and I got a GREAT DEAL!!! Man I love my local pet store. Everyone there is sooo nice and helpful. I know I have heard lately that some people are having bad experiences with PETCO but not my store.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Signed my dog up for training classes and then PETCO fired the trainer. They never contacted me to set up training and they have my money and will not refund it. I have contacted them several times to resolve the matter but they refuse to resolve the matter. Their new trainer will not accommodate my work schedule so I am just out the money and Petco is unjustly enriched, and I got nothing for my trouble. Petco is a lousy business and it has terrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Petco does not have the customer service you would expect from a well established company. CS does not exist. They never answer the phone; I have waited as much as 20 minutes and finally hung up after being forced to listen to horrible hold music. I was going to CHAT but it is never available as well. Shipping is supposed to be within two to five days; I am still waiting. I should have learned my lesson from my previous order. If this last order ever arrives, I will not order again from Petco.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

They do not know what they are doing at all. Fish are covered in ich for more than what is normal. You don't even have time to quarantine them. They break out so bad. They die before you can get them clean. Stay away from this store if you want your aquarium to be healthy. I owned my own pet store for many years and I am very experienced in taking care of fish. They should be ashamed of the care they give their fish. STAY CLEAR of their products. I will support a store that can't keep their animals healthy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Took weeks to get order and they make it impossible to stop repeat service. Took 15 minutes to get a Rep to unsubscribe me. Frustrating! I don’t think companies should be allowed to hold customers hostage. Will not use this service again EVER!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Needed CAPSTAR flea pills for my dogs so I went to Petco and paid $49++ for 6 pills. Also bought Frontline Spray - small bottle - for $59.99. Then I saw online that the same items were significantly cheaper at petco.com. So I called and was told that the store has to charge more to cover their overhead but the store would match the online price which they did!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I'm not being dramatic or making any of this up. I called 2 times initially and got absolutely nowhere. The first guy wouldn't listen and the second girl lied to me straight up and got caught in it. Basically, my package didn't arrive complete. It was missing over 50 dollars worth of stuff. The guy I had to hang up on. And the girl I had to call out. She told me that day that it would arrive later that day and that there was a different tracking number for my other items. Oh yeah, then why does OnTrac tell me their tracking number? How did you get this number and not me? Why would you even lie about that just to hold me off for another day? Let's get this fixed now! I'm out on over 50 dollars on guinea pig foods and beddings! It isn't like I blew 50+ on dog toys. These are expensive things I need and I can't just lose 50 dollars in my life right now. So of course she can't provide me this nonexistent tracking number so I hang up.

I go online and this guy named "Ronald" (sure) answers and he listened and made me feel like he cared and we ended up resolving it, or so I thought. This was all on Wednesday. He told me that he got manager's approval to resend what I am missing since I said I didn't want a refund and I would prefer what I ordered. Perfect! No, It's Saturday now. He said it would take 24 hours to process. That would be Thursday. Days pass and I call to see what's going on because they have my money but there is zero sign of any delivery confirmation email. This lady argues with me that it is up to 24 hours and that it only started processing today and that I won't see anything until Monday in my email since I guess the computers stop working "On Saturday and Sunday". I am so dead LOL. More making me wait, while they have my money, for nothing to happen, because every single one of them lies to me.

If I could get connected to an honest customer service person who actually wants to help people who bought from awful companies like Petco, things would have been easily solved three days ago. I'm not a difficult customer. I'm a customer who was mistreated repeatedly with my money taken from me. I expect I'll never see those items and I am never calling into customer service again. I'll just get my refund on the online chat help when it reopens. That will be up to another week though so for right now it's almost as though I have to forget about it. Petco has zero ethics at all. I've been shopping in store for over 10 years and I loved it. Ordering made me see what the company is really like. You have a problem? Just deal with it.

You don't want to go through what I did. Take your money to PetSmart or somewhere else especially if you're doing stuff online. Apparently they don't give people what they ordered all the time. Items always go missing. Good luck convincing anyone to get it back to you. Picture related: 24 hours processing. There is no way it's going to be processed at all. Pray I'll even get my money back so I can take it somewhere else to repurchase food and bedding! Imagine being disabled and timing out online shopping and missing out on essentials for DAYS past and losing out on over 50 dollars! We are almost in 2018. Online is as significant as in store if not more. Improve your online business or take your website store down.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have been to Petco occasionally several times over the years to get my fish, fish food, cat food, etc. But I usually found that shopping online on Amazon (being a prime member) was much easier and usually cheaper. However, recently I went there to give to Petco some of my fish's babies (from my tropical aquarium) as they are the only store I found around that adopt fishes and their babies. The store people were very friendly and helpful and I ended up buying their new line of cat food (Wholehearted) as there was some offer going on. Both my picky cats loved it and it was very good quality so I ended up ordering more of both the dry and canned wholehearted food for them online during Thanksgiving sale. I got very good deals and they have free shipping for auto delivery which is awesome. Also, they have free returns to store till 60 days.

Amazon doesn't accept returns of pet food which makes sense but is not helpful if there is something wrong with the shipment. So, I get my first shipment from Petco and the canned food comes dented with one can leaking all over. I am mad so I talk to customer service and they immediately credit me for the food and tell me no need to return the package. I am extremely impressed with their speedy and helpful service and good collection of food. Will always buy my cat food from them now. They might have more expensive food sometimes but usually they always have coupons for pal rewards members which brings down the cost much more from Amazon and definitely, PetSmart. Oh, BTW, the membership is free and they give you rewards for every buy which you can use as money after you collect a certain amount. And their new line of grain free cat food, Wholehearted is really good, especially the canned food and affordable. Do try it! Good luck!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I ordered an item that is sold by Petco.com on Amazon.com. The item arrived missing the hardware to put it together. The product had obviously been opened by another customer and sent back out to me the new customer trying to pass it off on someone else. The product was being sold as new and it is not. This was not a low cost item, it was more than $50. After receiving the item I spent 1 hour on Petco.com customer support who told me repeatedly that I had not placed any order with them.

I spoke to three representatives, sent them copies of the order, the packing list and read out the numbers on the delivery box. One rep became sarcastic and mocked me and told me I should only deal with Amazon and that Petco had nothing to do with the order (not true it said "sold and delivered by Petco"). I pointed them to the Amazon policy that said I was supposed to call Petco, then they backed down. They now say they will replace the defective product after much pressure from me. I attempted to place this review on both Petco and Amazon.com but they said that it was not something they could post.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Ordered a Bunch of Stuff Online only to have one of the items ordered missing. Called customer service and told someone has already signed for it. Like I said I had ordered multiple things from them and in this order was one item missing. I told them no one opens up a box with multiple items inside to see if all is there, it would hold up the delivery driver. This person said it was my fault for not checking order before signing and could care less if the order was right or not. Was told they would get in touch with me 24 to 72 hours later for answer about order. Guess what... Not a peep from them since. Cut ties from PETCO now while you've got the chance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The store has an expert staff which is prompt to answer questions, and is very polite. But it is often low on fish products, however all other items are usually well stocked and we like the support of spay & neuter, as well as support of adopting pets.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Petco is close to home and parking is easy. This store has what I need, pet food, kitty litter, fish and aquarium supplies, and it allows owners to bring their well behaved pets into the store.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

They always have friendly and courteous service. Plenty of products to choose from. I appreciate the coupons they send. They help with the monthly budget. Nearby so convenient and neat and clean.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Do not order from Petco.com. I placed an order for dog food last week. After waiting for the dog food for nearly a week, after I had received an email it was shipped, I went online and tracked the order. It stated that it was delivered last week but was undeliverable and returned to Petco. I was never advised or refunded my money. I called the company and was told that the packaged during transit and returned to the company last week. The representative was very nice but simply asked if I wanted to reorder!!! My credit card had not been credited and it was clear that Petco was going to do nothing about the order until I called!! Be careful. I don't trust this company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Petco is a very special store. You can find anything you want there. That's where I shop for my kitty Chester and I am very pleased with the help and service there. Very kind people and they will help you any time you need assistance and the variety of things in that store is awesome. I love that store.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The staff are knowledgeable & very helpful. Especially helpful to new customers' concerns. Store is clean, equipped with different size carts, ample aisle space.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Great selection of pet supplies, all types of pets, but prices are higher than other pet stores for the same quality of pet foods. Need to get more organic dog food selections. Also, staff could use more training about the products overall.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We have been shopping at Petco since the store opened. It is clean and merchandise is laid out well. I really have no problems at all. It's lovely to see pets in the store interacting with customers.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Compare to Walmart they are priced a little higher, but you get experienced caring employees who are there to answer any questions you might have. Nice.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Petco is a good store to run into and get your basics. Depending on each store, you may, or may not get, knowledgeable advice. Recently, I made a return, and it was done efficiently and easily.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I like this store, but they need more variety. I was looking for a pet stroller and they didn't have one that was strong enough for my 2 dogs so a bought a baby stroller and altered it. The pet strollers are too fragile and more 2x large coats for my large dogs.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

The stores are always clean and the employees friendly and helpful. I find it amusing that the toys are dog accessible. Plus, the checkout lines are not always short.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

We tried their training program and were not impressed but it accomplishes its purpose: you will usually find what you seek. No complaints, big and good selection means a bit less personal attention.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a Petco customer for many years now. Always a pleasant experience and there is always an employee ready to help out. Also, I'm a rewards member and the coupons help out.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Petco's prices are outrageously high and discourage me from shopping there unless it is a dire emergency. The variety of cat food brands has fallen. While they do support animal adoption, and their customer service is acceptable, it certainly is not terrific.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had to call several times to get an answer to where my regularly scheduled delivery was. 1st call: "Don't worry it will be there Friday." Friday: No food. Have to go and spend to get food. Saturday, 2nd call: "Oh don't worry it will be there tomorrow." Saturday... No delivery. 3rd Call: "Oh, let me see. It's held up at the delivery depot and there is no reason why. Let me reorder the food and put the order on expedited delivery... You'll get it Wednesday." Well, today is Thursday, and no delivery. 4th call: Don't worry it's out for delivery. PETCO is on the list of companies that I will not do business with.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I love PETCO for its super affordable treat bar and wide variety of products. However, many of the products seem overpriced. It's definitely still my go-to, but I wish they would re-evaluate their pricing.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We got our cat from PETCO as a kitten. Well taken care of, all necessary paperwork; conversation about her 'siblings'; only negative is we purchased toys some with feathers and our vet advised us that was a mistake. But their customer service was excellent, pleasant, timely, informative and the location was clean and attractive and convenient parking. They didn't get upset with our questions and made great suggestions about cat eating and sleeping habits

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I am a caregiver and I bring my clients to the store to shop for their pets. Yes they can order products online but the fact that this store is pet friendly makes my clients' visits enjoyable. The customer service agents are helpful and kind and totally accepting of my clients in wheelchairs or walkers. And of course the animals are always accepting. The products are on levels they can reach and if they have a question there is always someone around to ask. Great store, great people who work there.

PETCO Company Information