1.11/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

Looking for a pet store?

680 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

My dog takes daily heart meds and we filled through Doctors, Foster, and Smith. We received emails when they merged with Petco that Rx's would transfer to Petco. My vet had called/faxed a script to Doctors, Foster, and Smith in January with refills. We needed more this week so I did an online chat with Petco and was advised as long as she had refills, and I ordered the meds, that they would be sent out. I ordered them and even signed up for monthly, repeat orders and I was charged for them but I noticed tonight that the order is still pending. I just completed a 2nd online chat with Petco and was told this time that even though they have the script with refills from DF&S, Petco had to send a fax to my vet and they are waiting for approval. What? So now she is out of her heart meds so I will be getting elsewhere. Very sad. We were always impressed with Doctors, Foster, and Smith.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I was a long time Drs. Foster and Smith customer for my elderly lab who takes multiple medications daily. When I first ordered from Petco after they merged with F&S, I was told that my Rx had to be re-authorized. I found it odd, but went with it. I was told by Petco customer service that my vet hadn't faxed in the authorization, thus the delay I was encountering. In checking with my vet, I was assured (and have no reason not to believe) that my vet had done their part. It took virtually a week for the order to get filled and shipped - with no fault by my vet. I had to get an emergency refill through the vet to get by until Petco decided to ship the order. During one of many calls to Petco I asked that all meds in our file be pre-authorized to avoid this in the future. Clealy, that didn't happen.

Now I'm on my 2nd order with Petco and it's worse. They are again blaming my vet. It has been a week ago today that I placed the order and it hasn't shipped. I had to get more emergency pills from the vet for this med as well so we don't run out. They have debited my account, released the hold on my funds and again debited for the order without sending the order. Tomorrow I will call my bank and not allow any transactions with Petco. That won't be a problem for me as I will not be shopping in any of their stores. GUARANTEED!!! I will be ordering elsewhere from now on. It's simply not worth the BS that you will have to encounter. It's outrageous!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Petco sold me an old sick ferret which my vet confirmed. I fought it as long as possible but am disabled and have little money. The manager says he won't honor his pet agreement and no one called me back at all when I tried to confront them about it. They costed me 500 dollars for a vet bill and charged me 200 dollars for a ferret that died. Once again my vet verified it and I only wish I had enough resources to press further justice for Frodo. Justice for murdered pets.

Original review: March 23, 2019

i've always ordered my dogs Galliprant thru Dr Foster & Smith pharmacy and have NEVER had a problem. So when I was told they no longer handled pet prescriptions and that Petco had bought them I gave it a go. I also never received any communication regarding my pets order. I had one refill of 90 pills left but that somehow got lost!! I quickly called my Vet who told me they received the request from Petco and that they had already faxed it over. Here we are, 1 week later and NO COMMUNICATION from Petco on whether or not my order has shipped!! Petco's order page says "Still in Progress". Come on people it's been over a week!!

I've called PETCO and was on hold for 1/2 hour... Really?! Someone overseas finally picked up. They told me they were waiting on my Vet to fax over the approval. I told them my Vet had already done that and when are my meds being shipped?? She couldnt tell me. I will NEVER use this place again. IF these meds dont ship out early next week, I'm cancelling my order. What a disappointment. Petco really needs to get their act together on this one.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Order critical medication for my dog as a "refill" after forced to transfer my prescription from Drs. Foster & Smith to Petco due to take over. 10 days later still no meds, no email updates, nothing. All customer service could say was "Oh we're working on a glitch on the prescription transfer". Had zero ability to tell me when I could get an update and could not give me any assurance about delivery. All they had to do was call my vet for new RXs. WORST PET PHARMACY EVER. WILL NEVER USE AGAIN NOR WILL I EVER USE THEIR STORES.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Do not order from Petco! I ordered Bravecto for my dog, online, selecting the correct size for my dog. Got a call from my vet telling me the order was for incorrect weight. Called Petco, talked to someone who barely speaks English, cancelled the order and reordered. Days later got an email saying the second order was cancelled, the reason being that it would expire before I could use it all. Called Petco again, and was told that my vet denied the order. Cancelled that order and placed an order for a lesser amount.

After a week hearing nothing about my order, call my vet to see if order was approved, only to find out that it wasn’t even sent to the vet... and that the vet had approved the previous (larger) order! Call Petco and wait 25 minutes for an English speaking manager, who tells me that their supplier has shorter expiration dates meds, with no explanation as to why I was told (lied to) that my vet did not approve the order. I was also told by said manager NOT to call my credit card company about the charges... I did call, and was informed that Petco has charged me 4 times, with almost immediate chargebacks in the last 3 weeks... very shady... Don’t order anything from Petco... ever!! If I could give negative stars I would.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Never order from these people. Wonderful when it was Foster and Smith. Go someplace else. Your pet will never get their medicine and just don't know where you are calling. Awful awful service. Pet will probably die before you get it resolved.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I ordered a CatGenie. After waiting for 2 days to get an update I checked their website and it says "In Progress". When I reached to their customer service, which is obviously not in US, I was told, they will check "from time to time on it to see how is doing". Apparently is shipped from a third party and they have no idea about when will be shipped or anything. Not buying from their online website anymore.

Original review: March 18, 2019

For the past 3 years I used Dr. Smith and Foster for my kitty’s medications and had no problems what so ever. I went online to order refills and was surprised to see that PetCo bought S&F out, so I ordered medications for my kitty from them. Sadly, my kitty no longer needs medications so I called to cancel the order. I had an unbelievable catch 22 conversation with "Martin" (I don't believe he resides in the contiguous 48!). I was told that the order could not be canceled regardless of the reason and then he informed me out of the other side of his mouth that the Vet has not yet responded to their request. They can't send the meds out without an approval so the order hasn't even been filled... Still they can't cancel? No they can't!! "Martin", was obviously reading from a script because the next thing he said was that the vet has 14 days to approve. WHAT???

I explained AGAIN that the Vet will not approve and why. Still No! I followed up by telling him that THEY already got paid for the order... not only did PayPal debit my account, but they also paid them for the order... He denied that they'd been paid- he claimed it was a hold... not according to PayPal! I asked to speak to a supervisor... After a brief hold I was told that there wasn't a supervisor available to speak to me. Really, why was I not surprised!!! I filed a claim with PayPal. I'm hoping to get my money back!!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I ordered the wrong prescription size for my dog (44-88 lbs - I needed 22-44 lbs). Moments after I placed the order I was on hold for 20-30 min only to be told there is no way to cancel the order! I AM IN SHOCK! How can they not be able to switch out the same product for the correct size. Never again will I use this site.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I waited for 37 minutes and it appeared I reached customer service in India. She identified herself as Sandra. I informed her I waited 37 minutes on hold. She said, "I am sorry you had to wait a couple of minutes." She went over my order and said the order was split up because the closest warehouse only had one bag of the food so they would have to look for another warehouse to send the next bag. "Going forward, we will try to do our best to get both bags shipped at the same time." You have got to be kidding me. How does a corporation like this survive and not take action with the hundreds of bad reviews. BEWILDERING!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I ordered a Rx pet food from Petco online. It has been 9 days from when I placed my order and it has still not shipped. I called their service center, the agents have a poor command of the English language and seem apathetic to the situation. I always get the same response, "We just received your order and it should ship in 24-48 hours." When I ordered online I was guaranteed to receive in 2-5 business days. I would like to a) receive the order I purchased or b) receive a refund for the dog food I have yet to receive (and has not even shipped). Apparently, I can get neither. Petco has lost a customer with me. I will not go through this again and will buy from a more reliable company. I don't have the time or patience to waste hours on the phone dealing with poor, apathetic customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Someone hacked into my online Petco account and ordered a product...on repeat delivery no less. I tried the live chat and all they did was cancel the repeat delivery, not the original order! I tried live chat again and was told, rudely, that I needed to be patient. I then called customer service. What a nightmare!!! I literally waited on hold for 35 minutes!!! Finally, the call was picked up by someone who barely spoke English and said she wasn't sure if she could help me! I told her to close my account entirely for I will never shop with Petco again.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Called their customer service dept 4 times today and was in queue waiting to be helped for more than 20 minutes each time before I hung up. I need prescription medicine for my dogs. I used to order from Drs. Foster and Smith for years and ordered online all the time. The customer service was great and delivery impeccable. Now that Petco acquired Drs. F&S it’s awful. They didn’t transfer all my account information over from Drs. F&S so when I went to order online in the Petco app my vet info was missing. I tried to locate my vet using their app and it wasn’t listed. I called a week ago and gave Petco all the information to set my vet up and they told me it would be done in 48 hours. Here we are a week later and it’s still not done and I’m on my 4th call to Petco but they don’t even answer the phone. Petco you service stinks. I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have used Foster & Smith pharmacy for years. They were great and always professional. Now Petco solely handles the prescriptions and it’s been an awful experience. I cancelled my order after waiting over two weeks for insulin that use to take 48 hours to receive. I made numerous calls and emails without resolution. They have been the least helpful with terrible customer service. I will be taking my future business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I am setting up my aquarium and went in to PETCO to purchase some fish. After seeing that every fish that I did research on and wanted to purchase was not available, even though the tag and price was on the tanks. I decided to ask the employee to help me choose peaceful community fish. She suggested I start with a school of Australian Rainbow Fish and a school of Serpae Tetras. They are bullies and fin nippers! And she told me they would not get very big, well the rainbow fish will get quite large. So since this is not the type of fish that I want and that I no longer have my receipt i will have to try to figure out what to do with these fish! The employees should know what they are talking about and listen to the customers needs instead of just trying to sell their inventory! I am disgusted and will be taking my business elsewhere!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Online Orders for Prescription Dog Food: If you need to order Prescription Dog food give yourself three weeks. They very slow to confirm the Prescription then they send it the slowest type of mail. They should give you a realistic timeline when ordering.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Worst experience of my life. I've already read 10+ reviews of previous Drs. Foster and Smith customers like myself within 10 minutes of being here, so I will skip the details. I had the same terrible scripted call center experience with powerless and useless reps as everyone else. What I do want to say is do not spend another penny here!!! CHEWY.COM!!! I said screw Petco, went over to chewy.com and the script (Cat diabetes insulin script) was approved by my vet and ready to go in no time. Stop wasting your time here. Best way to send a message is with your wallet.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Horrible Customer Service!!! My son just returned from a trip to the Farmington NM Petco. We live 2 hours away in Colorado. His trip today was special for a sale price on a fish tank he has wanted for awhile. His trip today to Farmington was for this sole reason. When he went to check out the checker needed to do a price check on a decorative piece of wood for the tank. When he arrived home he was so excited to put the tank together and realized that after they did the price check they did not put the wood into his bag. After realizing the mistake we called the manager who said they could not refund us or ship it. That my son would have to drive back to the store to pick it up. We called Petco customer service and were on hold for over 20 minutes. When we did get through they said that no one was there who was authorized to help us.

Original review: March 7, 2019

On 2/15/19 I contacted Drs. Fosters letting them know I did not need my auto-ship order sent due to a move. They assured me the order would not ship. Then on 2/19 when the Petco and Drs. Fosters systems merged Petco automatically placed three separate orders for the auto-ship item that I requested not be shipped in the first place. I called them immediately and requested that they cancel those unauthorized orders and refund my money.

On 2/24 I received an email from a Petco representative assuring me the orders had been canceled. On 2/27 I inquired again to the status of my refund. I was told to be patient and wait at least 7 days. 3/7 I call Petco because no refund had been processed, and was told be patient because they just sent the cancellation request over on 3/6. 16 Days after the initial request had been made and a week after I had received a confirmation email stating the orders were indeed canceled. I was again told to be patient, and I would get my money back (for unauthorized orders) once the orders had indeed canceled. When I told the supervisor I would reach out to the company via other methods and most likely they had lost a customer I was told the other methods would not work any better than speaking to her because those other departments just report to her anyway.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was a customer of Drs. Foster and Smith for years and ordered all prescription pet meds from them. When I went to place an order, I was redirected to the Petco site. I decided to give them a try as they offered me a discount on my initial purchase. BIG MISTAKE!!! They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. They charged my bank account and never sent my dog's prescription! I made numerous attempts to investigate and each time their reps gave me the runaround. Canned and vague responses. Nobody could or would tell me when my order would be shipped. I demanded a refund and this was ignored. Finally I filed a complaint with the BBB. That is the only way these crooks will be held accountable. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PETCO!!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have spent the last week on the phone trying to resolve a prescription food order for my cat. Repeat delivery did not arrive and I was nearly out of food. I did not have an email stating why it didn’t arrive. I called and was told it was backordered and they had no idea when it would be available. I explained I needed the food and they told me I could order the larger bag for $127. I asked to speak to supervisor and was put on hold and call dropped. I called back and had to tell my story to another person and was put on hold multiple times again. Waiting for supervisor for almost 15 minutes and then told I would get a call back. I never received a call.

Next morning I decided to order the larger bag out of desperation and not being able to find the food elsewhere. I placed order and called to ask for rush on it. Put on hold multiple times and again my call dropped. I called back and was told that they could not rush it but that the order was in progress. Hours later I received email that my first order (out of stock) had shipped! I called to try and cancel my second larger order and again was put on hold multiple times. They finally told me I could not cancel but I could refuse delivery (not possible since I am at work when deliveries are made). After I explained this I was told they would contact courier to ask not to deliver. Tonight I received an email stating it is being delivered and could be stopped. I have now spent $200 on prescription cat food with this horrible company that I will never use again.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Place an order on Feb 17, 2019 for the prescription **. I entered my vet's information for Petco to contact the vet to clear the order. Check on the website on Feb 27, 2019 and the status is "in progress". I called customer service and after wasting 5 minutes answering information that they have from my account, I asked why the order was not shipped. I was told that they tried to contact the vet and there were no response from the vet! I asked what phone number they used and not surprising it was the wrong number (Petco's website has the vets in the my area hard coded in their system but no realize that companies change phone numbers and vets). I provided Petco the right phone number and ask them to call immediately since I need the medicine shortly, they say they would call right away.

I called again on Feb 28, 2019 to find out that no call was made to the vet, I asked for the fax number where the vet can send the information. Then I had to call my vet to gave them the fax number to send the prescription to Petco. Today, March 1, 2019 I called again and the customer service couldn't answer if they received the fax from the vet (apparently the pharmacy is a separate entity). So I asked to speak to a supervisor that finally volunteered to contact the pharmacy to see if the received the Rx. She came back after a few minutes and confirmed that they received it and that I will receive a tracking number once the order was ready to be shipped. So Petco is ill-equipped to handle prescriptions for vets and the whole experience was a complete waste of time. Don't make the same mistake I made buying Rxs from Petco. Their is system is awfully inefficient.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I order a controlled substance for my dog on a regular basis for her urinary incontinence. I researched and found what I felt was the best price and a very reliable company to order the prescription. This was through Drs. Foster & Smith. For the past year, I have never had any problem. I went to order the medication on Saturday with a week to spare in getting the refill. I was very surprised to find out that the online site took me to the Petco site. I do wish that Drs. Foster & Smith would have communicated, even in an email that there would be changes. I ordered anyway and set up my account. I did not have any problem to start. After I ordered, I received an email that they received my order and would send me an email when it was ready to ship.

I checked daily and got no email. On Wednesday, I received a phone call from my vet saying that they were confused because they got communication that they needed a script because there were no refills left. The vet told me that there should be another month's worth of medication that should still be available to fill. I also watch very closely by writing the number of refills on my calendar so that I do not lose time when I need a new script. I told the vet I would inquire to find out what was going on.

I called Petco and I explained the problem and the person taking my call said that my vet just needed to send another script. I told her it was a controlled substance and there was still pills available to fill. She asked if I wanted to speak with someone in the pharmacy and I agreed. I spoke with Kelly and she looked up the script and told me that the pills could be filled and did not need a new script. She recommended that I continue to watch my emails to see if they shipped, but said that she would not wait too long.

Today, there was still no email to ship. I called Petco and talked to two different girls answering the phone. They could not give me any different information. So I asked to speak with their supervisor. After waiting for the supervisor, the phone call was dropped. I started all over again. I did reach a supervisor. She finally did tell me that since the partnering of the two companies, that they cannot accept the script sent to Drs. Foster & Smith at Petco. I was really fuming when I heard this. I asked, "When were you going to let the customers know this." I told them that this is very poor business.

I inquired as to where I would send the new script to if my vet would even give me one. She continued to tell me that I cannot send them the script. I let her know that my vet does not even like online pharmacies, so does not fax or take any responsibility with getting scripts to online pharmacies other their own. She told me that I could not mail it to them or fax it to them. They would accept a fax from the vet. She had no suggestions for me.

I hung up and spoke with my vet. They were not willing to fax the script to the online pharmacy at Petco. I chose due to a terrible experience to not return to Petco. I have signed on with the vet's online pharmacy, so that I can get courteous and great communication. I am very sad to see Drs. Foster & Smith disappear. I have a coworker that has her dog on the same medication and enrolled. I was very quick to contact her and let her know of my very bad experience. Whether the medication is for a person or pet, there needs to be planning to be able to have the medication on time and poor communication is unacceptable. Colleen **

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Once you go on the site buy and pay you just wait for the order (no updates, and doesn't process until they feel like it). Then the box finally gets to you and you get this broken, wet damaged box (I have pics but it won't let me add them). Next day I contact customer service, they hang up on you or "Drop" you live chat. Eventually you have to fight the charge on your Credit Card. This place is terrible! Way too much hassle to order dog food.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Came to the store today (2/27/2019), Petco in Mira Mesa, California, to get my son two goldfish - small comet, less than an inch in size. When I told the person that we have a fishbowl, she wouldn't sell us the goldfish stating that we will kill the fish. She gave an example that if we adopted a pet, that we will not take care of it and it'll die the next. I informed her that we had our goldfish for four months and just died yesterday. We took care of it, but it still died. She refused to sell us a goldfish because we have a fishbowl for it. Really!

There were so many dead fish in that tank and she wouldn't sell us two? I told her that if that fish ever get too big for the bowl, that we'll get a bigger tank, but till then, we'll keep it in the bowl as all our other goldfish. Our previous fish lasted for 4 yrs and we didn't have an issue with it getting too big. I walked out furious and didn't even get her name so I can officially report her to the manager. I just wanted to get out of there and is not planning to ever go back to that store.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This has been the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. I don't blame the representatives. They are clearly given scripted empathy and the authority to access and resolve nothing. I tried to fill a prescription refill originally ordered through Drs. Foster and Smith who not only had great pricing, but outstanding customer service. There was no way to tell when I placed the order that I had five refills available. I called the next day to verify that this would be filled off of my five refills through Drs Foster and Smith. The customer service rep scripted me for half an hour gave me nothing and added irrelevance. I was assured at the end of our useless and maddening conversation that a supervisor would call me back. That never happened.

I then decided, against my better judgement, to use online chat. When I explained I had placed my order originally with Foster and Smith and was looking to see if they had my refill info he asked me why I didn't call Foster and Smith. I typed back "You are Foster and Smith now." The line went quiet and I never heard anything else. I then got the bright idea to call Foster and Smith from the number on my original packing slip. They were so helpful. They were able to look up my original order and tell me yes indeed, I did have five refills and it should just be refilled. They told me the information was sent over to Express Scripts, the company Petco now uses.

Later that day, I got a call from some random vet in my area telling me Express Scripts sent them over a verification and they weren't sure who I was. I told them to ignore it and I would call Petco to get it straightened out. I called back Petco and asked why a vet I didn't even know was calling me about a prescription verification, this is a refill order and I entered my vet's information with my order. He took the name of my vet again. I asked him if he could verify that I had refills on file. He said he couldn't and no supervisor was available. I asked if he could call Foster and Smith and Express Scripts to get this straightened out and he hung up on me.

I waited two more days and, just again, contacted customer service. He told me not to worry that they were still within their allotted time frame to fill my order. I asked him to verify that this was a refill order. He told me the status is that they are waiting for vet verification. I asked him which vet, and what about the refill. He gave me the name of my vet's office, the name of a vet I have never heard of and a fax not even in the same area code.

I corrected him and asked him once again to verify the status of my REFILL. He said he could not Someone would have to call me back within 24-48 hours. I had to leave it at If I don't hear back by the end of the day I will have to cancel the order and drive 45 minutes to my dog's specialty vet to pick it up myself. My dog has bone cancer, his specialty vet is 45 minutes away. I sure hope Petco's antiquated business practices haven't ruined a good thing in Drs Foster and Smith. They have for sure lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I brought my dog - Scottish Terrier for grooming service last night and take a look at the pictures what I received. If a groomer doesn’t know how the Scottish Terriers suppose to look. I thought that the store manager/supervisor must to take care of it. I was wrong.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I live in Dripping Springs TX. A store opened up New my house on my way home in Oak Hill/Austin TX on Hwy 71 west. I love the staff but since they are a smaller store they don't stock all the items a bigger location would have. I really like the staff at my location as other Next closest store is in Sunset Valley TX. The staff at Sunset Valley TX Lovato on are rude and no one is ever around to help find product or recommend product.

Now back to my location in Oak Hill I went in looking for Cat Litter and the selection is minimal. Almost none. I like tidy cat 20 lbs containers. They only stock the larger size to me. I would think it would be other way around 20 lbs containers and not the larger size. The next product I was looking for was Zupreem bird fruit blend (medium bird). They only stock small bird and large bird fruit blend size. I have multiple cats and like to buy large bag food. My cats eat instinct healthy weight. They only carry small bag. I love this store but only give 1 star for selection of products stocked at this location. Also the dog section is 2 times bigger than cat section. That pisses me off. If you are in the area and want to visit friendly staff and hope they have the products you won't go to this store.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I brought my 2 small dogs in for a walk in service. One of the groomers saw us and gave us a dirty look, then made us wait for several minutes before coming to speak with us. I explained I would like a WALK IN SERVICE and she had the audacity to say that they were too busy for that and we should have made an appointment... Um it’s called a walk in service, you can’t make an appointment on your horrible, hard to use website even if you wanted too. She literally said that we would have to come back in 4 to 5 hours... Needless to say we didn’t go back, nor will we ever. If you are going to have WALK IN SERVICES maybe advise your rude employees of that fact. Don’t bother offering services you REFUSE to provide.

PETCO Company Information