PETCO

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have never been treated and disrespected like I was on 08/06/17 at Petco at Southpoint, Durham, NC by the grooming salon's manager who had the support of one of the store's managers. I have been taking two of my dogs to this store for grooming for many years. This time they were charging me double the amount that I usually pay. I complained about it. The grooming salon manager became disrespectful and defiant and refused to reduce the price. I got upset and asked for the store manager. The store manager came. I got tired and offered to pay the original amount charged. The store manager, completely out of authority, convinced the grooming salon's manager to allow me to pay a more reasonable amount. When they said that I could pay less, I told the grooming salon's manager that if they would not take the entire amount, I would give her the difference as a tip.

Then when the conflict was supposedly solved, the groomer refused to groom my dog saying that she did not feel comfortable doing it. Nobody said anything to the groomer. The store manager let the grooming salon's manager and the groomer to refuse grooming my dog. I had to leave the store with my dog. It was humiliating. I think what happened had a lot to do with me having an accent. They completely discriminated me against. Find another place to groom your dogs and another store to shop. What they did to me is unacceptable.

I went to PETCO to adopt a kitten. I found one I wanted and adopted him. That was 3 weeks ago. Monday I had to say good bye to Little Eddy (Everett at Petco). He had FIV. Noncurable virus. Kittens get it from their mother or father. I don't think he should have been offered for adoption. I have not been able to talk to the pet rescue group that put him in Petco. I think Petco should have taken care to ensure the kitten being offered was in good health. Petco said Guardian Angel pet rescue was going to call me. I haven't heard from them.

I purchased a small animal cage on Amazon from Petco. I took it out of the box and realized immediately that it was way too small for my needs. Being a very good customer of Amazon I assumed that it would be easy to return the item. I put in for a refund and immediately they said I would have to pay over $12 to ship it back via FedEx and I had to locate a FedEx store. There are no FedEx facilities in my town and I would probably have to drive over an hour to find one. I have written several emails to Petco and I was told I could send it back on my own dime but I still would have to pay Petco shipping or I could take it to the store and get a full credit of $53. I think that whole deal is utterly ridiculous.

I looked at the same cage at the Petco store and it was $30 more than what they sell it for on Amazon, so my only options are to return it and get half my money back or to go to the store and buy overpriced items that I don't need. I checked the price of a water bottle and it was $12.99 at the store and a little over $6 online. I guess they make their money off you when shipping the stuff. I think their return policies are nothing but a racket and their prices are ridiculous. So I guess I'm going to have to drive 45 minutes to go to a Petco to buy overpriced items I don't need. In the future, when I buy from Amazon I will spend the time to read the little fine print on the return policy and if it's sold by Petco I'll do without it. Very surprised such a well known store could be so greedy.

Planet Petco 100% natural Catnip 2.5 oz size - Who is the genius engineer behind this product container? Where is the recall? Has this been hushed? How many cats have been killed because the super hard plastic jar has an opening just large enough for the cat to get its head stuck inside. The cat can still see, so it can run off to suffocate. We were lucky to have found the cat in time. Also lucky to be able to extract the cat. You are heartless.

My dog is diabetic and had stopped eating her regular prescription food. I found another one she would eat (Hills Science Diet). I have always ordered from Chewy and received my order within 3 days. Their site said it would ship within 3 days so I ordered. I received a email saying my order had shipped. I got it and it wasn't the complete order. No prescription food at all. Email should of stated part of order had shipped. I was waiting on this as she wouldn't eat the Royal Canin now.

I called only to find out 3 days later they still hadn't called my vet to get prescription okayed. So I said cancel my order and give me a refund, her answer "I don't know if I can do that. It hadn't even been okayed." Why not?? Finally she did but I ended up paying all the shipping for full 111.95 order. When all I got was a 16.99 item to keep. I paid 9.48 shipping. Total paid for 16.99+9.48= 26.47. Ridiculous!!! I don't recommend this company to anyone who needs what they're ordering anytime soon. Back to chewy.com for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

I recently attempted to purchase a cat condo at Petco.com. I came across a particular condo priced at $2.99 and yes that is the correct price that was posted. Regular price was $159.99. So I thought wow. What a deal! I placed my order, received a confirmation email from them for my order. Two days later I received an email stating my order has been cancelled. I called Petco corporate and asked why my order was cancelled without any explanation. I was informed by a "manager" that there was a computer glitch in the pricing and that all the orders on that product had been cancelled.

I vented my opinion that the glitch wasn't my problem and that the price posted should be honored. "Well there was no way that was going to happen," I was told. I work in retail sales myself. "If there is any items priced wrong in my store we have to honor the price and sell at the posted price," I told her. Needless to say that there wasn't anything offered to me to satisfy my concern or even try to keep me as a customer. Petco is boycotted by me and I was a loyal customer who spent a couple of hundred dollars a month there.

Petco cancelled multiple orders from me. I ordered 30 cat trees and 20 dog beds to receive a cancellation notice in my email without any explanation! 100% sure I will never order on Petco again. Thank goodness we have PetSmart.

Tried Petco shipping - cat food cans not even wrapped - many damaged. Call "customer service" and got a young man in the Philippines. Had hard time understanding so had it escalated - and did get to speak with someone in the U.S. who was very helpful. HOWEVER - call center in the Philippines - really - country where they eat dogs and cats and treat them like vermin. This is just mind blowing to me. LAST time shopping at Petco.

Consumers beware of this program. I noted discrepancy in balance a week ago. Was advised by customer service rep that issue would be forwarded to IT to correct. Followed up this morning to find nothing had been done. Was advised that manual adjustment would be made ASAP and I would see correction when I logged back in to account. I made a purchase approximately two hours later and noted balance was same. Called backed customer service rep. Was less than helpful. Chat session produced no results other than issue would be forwarded to IT. I'm filing formal complaint with BBB.

Nobody explained that the test result expires within 30 days to purchase heartworm pills. After 30 days, you wasted money and suffering of your pet. Just to purchase the pills, you need to all the way to the place again and let your pet suffer from blood work then finally you can get. You only know this info after you hear anything from the online pharmacy that cannot authorize because of the stupid rule this company has and do not inform.

I have been using PETCO's Repeat Delivery for years now. Sometime over the last month, since my last delivery, they have changed the process of redeeming your Pals rewards automatically. Now you must log in to your account each month before you order ships and load your rewards to your account for them to be used with your repeat delivery. I am very annoyed with this. I will no longer be shopping at Petco or using this service.

Signed up for puppy dog obedience training class. Trainer did not seem to have control of class and allowed misbehaving dogs to completely disrupt class. Went in tonight for 3rd class, saw a large pitbull inside dog training ring. Took a few steps back as I have personally witnessed the aggression of his breed of dog in the past. Dog trainer said come into class, I told him my apprehension about coming inside ring with an aggressive breed of dog. He said everything would be okay. I said okay but if that dog jumps on my dog I'm getting him off. Walked inside ring, pitbull jumped on my dog in an aggressive manner. I said "That's it. I'm leaving." Dog trainer said pitbull was not leaving. I told him I am leaving instead.

Asked shift manager for refund. He said he would give me a refund. Then he came back and said he wanted me to go take dog training class with another dog trainer at that store. I called complaint line, they said they would refer call to store manager as if that would resolve anything. What a total nightmare. I will never go to a Petco ever again. Will go to the real pet store, Petsmart, even though it is a further drive.

I went to Petco to purchase a new guinea pig. My family already owns 2 females. I was approached by a manager about adopting a male they had in the back of the store. He was turned in by his owner because they were moving and couldn't have pets. The male who we named Buddy was the sweetest guinea pig I've ever seen. I adopted him immediately. We noticed he was breathing funny. I took Buddy to the vet and found out he had an upper respiratory infection. We were given antibiotics. Unfortunately, we were too late to save Buddy. He died exactly one week after we got him.

The manager told me that Buddy had been there for almost 2 weeks before he was adopted. Given the time line... he got sick in that store. So says the vet. I didn't try to return him. He was a part of the family and deserved better than being thrown in a garbage can by a minimum wage Petco employee. These chain stores are mistreating animals and don't care. I will not shop at Petco again. I only posted this as a warning for others. My family is distraught over the loss of our new pet and I don't want that happening to anyone else.

My husband brought our 4 dogs to get groomed, they refused to groom 2 of them. They were barking and so I was told out of control, I understand that... but they are like a pack of dogs (understandable)! The grooming was 53.00, Dematting 14.00, and flea and tick add on 15.00. Each dog no problem. The little dog will not let us brush her... My husband told me they said my dogs were loaded with fleas and my house was going to be bombed (they were infested) and my house was probably too!! I went to pick up dogs with husband, and the associate said same thing loaded with fleas and I told him I use Frontline and I follow all the directions to a T. He (Domenic) told me Frontline doesn't work. They have been around for so long and haven't changed.

First of all never had any problem with the product till they said I did. I was so upset so I started to buzz 1 of the dogs. They refused to take with extra caution to look for fleas and guess what? I found 1 on the dog. Now they all sleep together, lay, eat, hang out. So how did 2 dogs get loaded and the other 2 dogs only 1 flea on 1 dog??? So I looked at my receipt and they charged for dematting 3 times?? Now I was pushed over my limit. Called them. All of a sudden it's 7.00 for 15 minutes. We were never told this and I told her (Paige) she was not pleasant on the phone. I asked who was the manager. First she told me (Kate) then she said (Jerry). I spoke to him in between being put on hold numerous times without any satisfaction. I called June 11, 2017 at 10:56 am and this call was for 25 minutes long and being put on hold for more than half that time. Thank You Petco for demeaning me and my house.

I made an appointment at the Carbondale, IL grooming salon over the phone with Rita. This is the first time I have been back to Petco in about 5 years because the service was so bad then. My mom and I have two miniature poodles and our appointment was for 10:30 am for which I was early for. At about 10:45 the groomer saw me at the back of the store and said, "Oh by the way, I have a video meeting that I have to attend before I can start on your dogs." Why was the appointment made for 10:30 if she knew she had training? Nonetheless, I went ahead and left them there to be groomed.

I live 20 minutes away so I hung around until I thought they would be done (about 3 hours and there were no other dogs in there at that time). Needless to say, I went to see if they were done at 2:30 pm and she said "not even close". I asked her how much longer it would be and she said another hour and a half and there was still the same dog in there as this morning besides my 2 poodles! Well, here it is 3:30 pm and I'm still waiting! Never again!!! Where is integrity and work ethic? Don't people have any pride in themselves or the work they do anymore?

I just moved here and wanted to find a good grooming salon near me. I was referred to this PETCO by a friend. When I asked the groomer Rebecca about the signing up process and deals she was on her phone the whole time texting. She told me she was busy and told me to go to another store. I called management and they told me there's nothing they can do about her attitude and that this wasn't the first complaint they have gotten about her. Why is nothing being done?! She was so rude and management was so unprofessional!

Bought several fish and other pets from Petco. I have had several fish die after a few days. Usually I just throw them away. This time decide to take in 1 dead fish (bought 4 gold fish), 1 dead frog (bought 2). Was asked if they were in same tank. Was told goldfish eat the frogs. (Horse crap) I told them, "No, separate tanks." Then she wanted to know if the goldfish were with other goldfish. Told they eat each other. Told her it was in a tank itself. She tried several ways not to give a refund. (I had a receipt) I have seen them get out of refunds before. What the heck, for a six-dollar refund you risk losing a customer. Which you have.

3384 Tyler. St. - Store Manager ** was very rude to me when I was trying to exchange faulty light bulb. Ended up hanging up on me. Basically told me if I can't afford my pet that I shouldn't have it. What I can't afford is to keep paying for faulty light bulbs that keep going out in two months. Screw Petco and their employees! They lost a monthly customer.

Let me say that my dogs are my children. I take very good care of them, probably better than some children get. My dogs were licensed but their rabies was going to expire. We have a great Vet, but for timing we thought a quick run to the Vet clinic would be better, due to time. Well... We took them on 5/6/17... never again.

When the clinic opened we were fourth in line. It was suppose to start at 9:00AM, it did not begin until after 10:00 AM. When it was our turn we were subjected to a hard sales pitch trying to get us to buy anything and everything. When we declined all sales, the sales associate caught an attitude and stated she was educating us on care of our animals. I looked down on the sheet and she had written 111.00 dollars, for all these unnecessary services. I calmly explained the situation, and how we just needed a rabies shot and the representative told us our dog was coughing, so she was most likely sick, and would not get the vaccine. After a few minutes and several comments, she changed the form back to 19.00 for a rabies shot.

When we saw the Vet she examined our dogs. She announces that our dog has a level 3 heart murmur. Now, my dogs had been seen less than a year ago, at the Vet and he had no murmur. She then says it is a serious condition and she is hoping I am getting him treated by my Vet. When I say I have a great Vet and will follow up, she grew quiet. A few minutes later she tells us our dog could have congestive heart failure, pass out, stop breathing, and several other horrible scenarios. I was horrified and could not believe what she was saying. She gives him the shot, and for two days after, my dog cries all night and day from that shot.

We had contacted our vet, and made an appointment. I was so upset. When the Vet examined our dog the Vet said our dog occasionally had pleural rubbing, ever so minor, which most small dogs get. Which is very different from what we were told at Petco. Our Vet said there was nothing wrong with the dog, and there was not level 3 heart murmur. Our vet stated our dog was in great health. I am very relieved, but infuriated by the Petco Vet Clinic.

I take care of my dogs. I felt what they did was cruel, as we were not bullied into buying all sorts of things they already had in place. I felt the high pressure sales tactic did not work, so they were going to upset us. I am a therapist for trade. I am an educated consumer. I can only imagine if I were a young, unsure, pet owner, who believed everything that was told to me by the professionals, how high our bill would have been. What if I had let them treat my dog for a heart murmur he does not have?

If I were not able to be confident with the care we have provided for our dogs, I might buy everything they tried to force on us. I am pretty disappointed, and can imagine they are getting away with this, with so many. I intend to find out who the Vet at the clinic was, contact the licensing board, and upload all of my documents, from both Vets. If I need a third opinion, I will obtain it, since I am in a position to afford it. To me it is about the scam they are running, and for the people they are getting to fall for their unscrupulous practices. Please question everything they say to you.

My dog is traumatized from his first grooming at Petco west in Green Bay! Bri is the groomer that did my dog and he has massive razor burns and abrasions on him from his whole entire behind up to his lower belly. He also has 2 burns on his upper belly and cuts on both hawks on his feet. My vet said it is groomer's error and my dog is now on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain meds. Petco offered me to have my dog's next grooming to be free, and that's it, no treats or nothing for my dog's pain and suffering. My dog doesn't even move anymore, he just lays down and I don't know how I will ever get him groomed in the future because he is surely traumatized from this. I will not take Petco's offer on a free grooming. My dog has been groomed many times before by other groomers and we have never had any problems. If you love your fur babies please don't take them to Petco!

I took my Bichon to the store at 2733 N. Collins in Arlington TX 5/7/17. The stylist name is **. I can say that I was very impressed with her willingness to take time to talk to Nikki & make her comfortable being with her. And asking me if there was anything about Nikki that I had concerns about which I did explain to her that she had extreme anxiety & a really bad experience with the previous salon (not Petco). Her warmth seem to ease NIKKI'S anxiety & I was content leaving her. Toni did an excellent job at grooming her & I was very impressed with her work & how at ease Nikki was when I left her & when I picked her up. Thank you so much ** for your kindness & patience that you were willing to give my fur baby.

February 25th I bought a guinea pig, after a week she became very sick. I took her to the vet and we gave her all the medicine we could and did everything we could. But she didn't make it. April 6th I went back to buy another one. Once again after 1 week the same problems have occurred. They don't know how to treat their animals correctly. Please do not buy pets from here. I would hate to have somebody else go through the same things I have.

Today, March 19th 2017, at 2:00pm, I had an appointment at PETCO for my small dogs bath, nails and glands. No haircut, no blow-dries, just the basic. Usually it takes 20 minutes but today they told me it would take 2 hours and 30 minutes because they squeezed me in. Not true. When I called to make an appointment the day before they told me that if I wanted to take my dog in today they will squeeze her in at 4:00 pm otherwise I could go there tomorrow at 2:00 pm. I accepted the appointment for the day after at 2 pm. The manager (who never talked to me before) told me that I was lying and since I was a complainer I had to wait for 3 hours instead of 2:30. I couldn't believe it and I told her that I was going to complain with PETCO main office and she asked me to leave the store and never come back as if I wanted to go back there again! I was in shock for their abusive and disrespectful behavior towards me.

Brought my cocker/beagle in to get groomed. She was mangled pretty bad. Asked that they just shave her all but ears and tail. We go pick her up the groomer tells us the next time she is matted she will shave her ear and doesn't care what we think we won't have a choice. I asked why they didn't just call me and tell me it was causing her stress to comb out her ears. We would have told them to leave them and we would comb them out ourselves. Next day I call the manager and nothing was done about it. Explained that last time she was groomed she was razor burnt by them and no one said anything about it. We found it when we got home. Will never go there again.

I took my dog to get shaved and this was understood between the groomer and I. I was given a price. At checkout it was $45 more than I was told. The groomer was gone and I told the cashier to tell her, this was not acceptable and that I should have been given this price when I brought the dog in.

I made an appointment for my Papillion on March 10th and asked for a confirmation courtesy call. On the 9th, when I didn't receive the call, I called and the lady (Caroline) stated my appointment wasn't for the 10th, it was for the 11th. So whatever, I'll deal with it. So on the 11th, at 9am I called to verify what I need to bring with me. The lady (Marlene, who evidently is the manager) said I wasn't even on the schedule! So I called back a few minutes later just to make sure, and the girl was apologetic and said she was sorry but this happens all the time! I have the phone records and I saw what time I called to confirm and asked who would've been working at the time of the call. They told me Caroline and she'll be in at noon. So I called Caroline and she said I was on the cancellation list! WHAT??? Why would I be calling to cancel when I'm calling to confirm. They treated me like I was crazy!

So I asked to speak to the manager and she said the manager was Marlene, who she said "I didn't want to speak too"!!! What the heck are you saying, I asked... Now they are saying I didn't want to talk to her when I called that morning??? Then I tell Caroline that the other girl I spoke to said "this happens all the time" and she said "What? This never happens"... So whatever, I'm going to another groomer. I'm sure it's not important to the groomers that pet owners do have lives and don't appreciate being toyed with when it comes to getting our pets groomed because I sure can go to plenty other places! UNREAL... Never again would I go to this Pet Store. They have completely lost my business with not only dog grooming but pet food and supplies.

Terrible customer service at Petco in Springfield, IL. Took our bichon to get grooming services; we have used Petco before with no problems. My husband picked him up but went right back in and told them his face was not cut right or at all. I text him a picture and he showed it to them of how we wanted him to look. When they were finished he ended up with a totally uneven cut with almost no hair on his face at all!! He doesn't even look like the same dog!!

I called to complain that it was not acceptable; the girl said she was not the one that cut him but she understood and asked would I like to speak to the "grooming manager" and I said yes. Spoke with another person that asked if I wanted to bring him back in to even out the cut and I said no because it's already too short. After some time, I finally agreed to let it grow out a little and we'd bring him back in to even it out then. But when I asked to verify I wouldn't be charged for fixing it later, I was told they couldn't authorize that and I'd need to speak with the store manager tomorrow. Really???

So I called the next day and spoke with the Eric the "store manager". He tells me his staff called him so he is aware of what happened. But then he tells me that he was told I did not want to talk to the grooming manager yesterday and that my husband walked out "satisfied" with the services and that maybe they didn't understand how we wanted him cut! OK... just because he walked out doesn't mean he was satisfied and what more could they have cut off at that point?? And he showed them a picture so how much clearer could it have been? So finally after a lengthy discussion and debate, the "store manager" agrees to let us bring him in free of charge later to even out the cut once it has grown out a little. I hung up but after thinking about this entire situation, I called back and told him I wasn't bringing Pepe back ever!

I didn't appreciate them lying and saying I said I didn't want to talk to the grooming manager when I did want to AND had a conversation with supposedly the grooming manager and I also didn't appreciate being told my husband was satisfied with the services when he was basically in shock after they "fixed" it. All they kept suggesting was bring him back in and we will even it out!! Never once was I offered a refund, partial refund, free grooming service or anything else. I told him I would not be back.

I went to FB and Twitter. Petco customer service reached out to me on Twitter and after exchanging direct messages they said they would have someone contact me within 48 hours. That was February 18th. As of the 22nd, still no contact. I call customer service and explain how upset I am about this whole situation that could've been prevented by just a simple agreement to fix the bad haircut on my pet's face in a couple of weeks. But that was obviously asking too much. Later that same day, I received a voicemail from Eric the Springfield Petco store manager saying he was returning my call so I called back. A woman answered and when I said I'm returning a call to Eric she put the phone down and said "it's (my name), have fun hahaha".

When he picked up I said "have fun? That's real professional." He had nothing to say. I told him I didn't ask for him to call and did not wish to talk to him. He said he had received an email stating he should call me. During the conversation he mentioned offering me free grooming services. I told him he NEVER once offered me free grooming services. He said "yes I did" and I said "no you did not". This was repeated several times and I finally said "you're lying" and he said "no you're lying!" Seriously!

I hung up and called customer service back and told them what happened. They assured me they did not ask the store manager to call me and had requested a district manager contact me but I needed to give it 48 hours. So now it's the 28th.... 6 days later and still no contact from the district manager. Oh but the Petco twitter team sent me a message that they were updated by their team my issue had been resolved. I messaged back "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!"

Since the grooming, I had to put a sweater on my dog because he was acting neurotic. I finally realized it was because his hair was cut so close to his skin he was uncomfortable. He kept hiding under the bed which he has never done. And he has had a problem with his ears since his grooming. He just had a checkup prior to grooming so if something is wrong, I'll know where it came from. I will never patronize another Petco again.

I am really disappointed with the grooming dept. in Bradenton Florida. They seem to have issues on keeping employees and every time for the past year I would call and make an appointment and EVERY TIME they call me a few days later and want to change it due to having employees leave. Since when did this become the customer's issue? Where is making it work come into play? I want to thank PETCO for allowing me to use their competition to be able to groom my dog. This also gives me the opportunity to buy items from them vs. Petco. Great job Petco!

Have been happy until recently every other month my repeat delivery dog food would not show up on time. This month had to make repeat inquiries to a phone center that is obviously not in America. The people tried to placate me and all I want is the service I have already paid for twice yet no delivery attempt or even shipping has happened. Just kept trying to change my mind about it instead of solving the problem. I was calm at first but after wasting 5 hours and two days of frustrations from calls have tried to cancel it all and delete Petco account. They refuse to delete account information. Only will delete email. I am still waiting on my $200 back ad have to order the food for my dogs from somewhere else and now wait another 2 weeks past the time I needed the food by. You suck PETCO. I will never use you again.

Family outing to purchase new fish for our 8 year old daughter. She has a 55 gallon tank now. Well she had about 7 fish which included a upside down catfish, Angelfish, etc. Just cute small fish to fill the tank! Well we went to the Petco on 138th Ruffly and Maple here in Omaha Neb. and they of course had no one in that department. So after wandering the store looking for associates I found someone that still had to call the employee for the aquarium department! Earlier we took it upon ourselves to look at fish and decided between a few so if one didn't work out we could get another. Well we choose a blue and orange goldfish, I asked the employee if it would be okay with my other fish in the tank. She stated no problem, the fish we were purchasing was a little lazy and stupid.

Well just days after placing the fish in my tank my upside down catfish was dead my Angelfish and a few others totaling 5 fish which included the one we bought that day, after calling to complain I received $5.99 the cost of the goldfish that died. My tank had developed several infections! Algae and ammonia level imbalance. A black/green sludge took over the left half of my tank. It was horrible!

My daughter was crushed. She cried from seeing the fishes dead because after school she always check on her pets birds, and fish! Night screams came to follow and after calling to complain and going back to the store the lead in the aquarium department just openly told me the lady that sold us the fish knew we shouldn't mix that fish but my problem not just laid with the employee but the store itself, they have untreated water in that store. I am still 2 weeks after trying to get my tank back together and save the remaining 3 fish she has! Never going there again and I'm telling everyone I know of my terrible/horrible experience and how no responsibility was taken for clearly the store's fault! Signed Sad and disappointed ex- customer!

PETCO Company Profile