1.95/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

PETCO

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

406 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Twice in a row they did not deliver one of the products in what I had subscribed but they charged me. My guess is that they thought I would not realize the order was missing one of the products and they could have a party with the money saved from this. What a headache. At least (reason it's two stars and not one) the first time it happened they did ship what was not shipped and the second time they refunded the $$. But I'm moving to Amazon for the subscription. Order # ** never delivered and **.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Well I took my dog Romeo ** to the Petco on 8Mile and Woodward in Detroit and I was so pleased with the dog groomer that groomed him today. She did an awesome job. She's a great asset to your company???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Just sitting here feeling angry. It's been about a year since our experience at PETCO but I should have pursued it. And I might even though it may not do me any good… My chocolate lab Mac is 1.5 years old. When he was 8 months old we took him to Petco for his second nail trim. The first one went extremely well and he loved going there.

This experience was way more than I would like to remember and if I had more time I would lay it all out but ultimately, they cut two nails and he bled all over the floor. Uncontrollable bleeding. Not just something that you would put some powder on it and stop it. When I peeked in to check on him thinking everything was OK while I was shopping. I saw what was occurring and walked in. Before you know it, I was being dragged around on the floor trying to comfort my dog and we both left smelling like pure rancid poison, the floors were disgusting and we just got there at 10 AM, and the only way that I can get my dogs nails trimmed now is to have him sedated for $150 at our vet.

Again the more I think about this, the more I get angry and blame Petco for their negligence. Thinking back when I called the store to talk about it to their manager, he basically shrugged his shoulders and offered me a refund. Really? Perhaps they should've offered more… Again my dog is scared ** for anyone to touch his nails now and I certainly don't feel like paying that much money every month to sedate my dog (nor is that safe!) to have his nails cut. I'm calling their store tomorrow. And I expect there to be some concern. Likely there will not be.

So my point… Beware. If you have a concern, no one will call you back and really give a **. Even the girl Annette that worked in the salon told me that the guy that cut my dog's nails off and made him bleed profusely should not have been there and she was trying to get him fired. Really? Who says that? I trusted them with my baby's life. So again the more I think about this, and the documentation that I have, thinking that I should proceed with legal action. This little kid was super outgoing before the situation. Now he doesn't trust anyone including his vet. I mad. :/

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Terrible! If I can rate this Downey, CA PETCO zero stars I would. I have given this place their fair share of opportunities. I get home with my dog and see they did not cut all his nails. They literally left like 4 extremely long, he has the worst patches in the world, the lady over the phone claims to have told me that over the phone when they called me which is bogus! Then while waiting to get my dog this groomer was yelling at this tiny dog instead of asking another groomer to help her. Just a terrible experience. I feel bad I put my little dog in a poor situation. I sure am NEVER going back to this groomer again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

On May 21 my coworker from The hospital I'm working for as Present for my dogs and my wedding I received 250$ gift card purchased on 1280 Lexington Ave NY tlf 212 369 7903. I call this office the first contact was a person he said he will help me since May and still nothing. If they have the invoice and the number of this card why they don't just put stop payment and check if it was cashed or not. Please I need your help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

When I went into the PETCO store it was clean but when we asked for help it took over 10 minutes for somebody to come over to help us to look for my dog that day. They were understocked for the stuff and we end up going over to the Beats side store to get the stuff for my dog. They need more help in the store because we barely got help in the store that day. My dog is so sick and I was so unhappy. I complained about it and kept on asking if everybody was on break that day. Some people act like they know what I was talking about because my dog had a hookworm and we need medicine for that day and nausea medicine form and they kept important us different directions for it. I was about to give up so we end up going to the Beats because of it.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I feel that this is more than a coincidence. The neighbor across street purchased 2 mice and 2 Robo hamsters from PETCO. All have died within a 6 month period. Tonight my daughters Teddy Bear Black hamster suddenly passed that we purchased this past March. She is heartbroken and I can't help but feel that something is very wrong with the pets they sell. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I went to Petco because they are a big name pet supply store. But we were disappointed in the amount or variety of cat food they had. There was more supermarket brands than specialized food. They had no small sacks of the grain free food to try either. We had tried one and our cat's breath and feces smelled awful and we ended up throwing 40.00 worth of food away.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I look for the best price before purchasing and PETCO is simply the best place to get your pets needs' met under one roof. The store is convenient and the large quantities afford you better pricing. Clean, efficient and caring professional staff makes this a place to shop for all your needs. The staff also really gives the pet adoption center with volunteers included an added plus. My son adopted a cat at the Baldwin Petco.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have used the Pet Doctor and the Groomer at my local Petco and I was very pleased with the service and care that was given to my pet. Prices were good and excellent products in the store. Staff was courteous at all times too.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Petco - Ramsey, NJ - While the store itself has a good selection and friendly cashiers, the grooming department is going downhill fast. Our dog had been competently groomed here several times, but this time when we took him in, we got a different groomer. After leaving him for 4 hours, we picked him up only to be told she could not groom him (apparently he was too distractible with other dogs in the room), she could not cut his nails (too squirmy), she could not brush him (he kept nipping at the brush) and about 20 other excuses why she could not do the job she is supposed to be a professional at. We have never once come across a groomer who could not groom our dog, including previous, competent groomers at this PETCO. She said that dogs need to be able to stand completely still for an hour, which I find very unrealistic.

People with regular dogs should not waste their time here. Instead bring their pet to a groomer who is good with pets, knows how to calm them down (most groomers do) and can get the job done right. I'm actually glad that this person didn't groom our dog after all, because some of the other dogs walking out of there looked traumatized, with uneven cuts and patches of pink, raw skin showing. The only good thing is that they didn't charge us for the bath they gave him, and I thought that was fair. But this place needs help.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

PETCO carries more food & treats that are made in America. They have just about everything you are looking for. The staff is also extremely helpful and they will even make special orders for you to pick up or be delivered to your door.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have never been treated and disrespected like I was on 08/06/17 at Petco at Southpoint, Durham, NC by the grooming salon's manager who had the support of one of the store's managers. I have been taking two of my dogs to this store for grooming for many years. This time they were charging me double the amount that I usually pay. I complained about it. The grooming salon manager became disrespectful and defiant and refused to reduce the price. I got upset and asked for the store manager. The store manager came. I got tired and offered to pay the original amount charged. The store manager, completely out of authority, convinced the grooming salon's manager to allow me to pay a more reasonable amount. When they said that I could pay less, I told the grooming salon's manager that if they would not take the entire amount, I would give her the difference as a tip.

Then when the conflict was supposedly solved, the groomer refused to groom my dog saying that she did not feel comfortable doing it. Nobody said anything to the groomer. The store manager let the grooming salon's manager and the groomer to refuse grooming my dog. I had to leave the store with my dog. It was humiliating. I think what happened had a lot to do with me having an accent. They completely discriminated me against. Find another place to groom your dogs and another store to shop. What they did to me is unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I went to PETCO to adopt a kitten. I found one I wanted and adopted him. That was 3 weeks ago. Monday I had to say good bye to Little Eddy (Everett at Petco). He had FIV. Noncurable virus. Kittens get it from their mother or father. I don't think he should have been offered for adoption. I have not been able to talk to the pet rescue group that put him in Petco. I think Petco should have taken care to ensure the kitten being offered was in good health. Petco said Guardian Angel pet rescue was going to call me. I haven't heard from them.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased a small animal cage on Amazon from Petco. I took it out of the box and realized immediately that it was way too small for my needs. Being a very good customer of Amazon I assumed that it would be easy to return the item. I put in for a refund and immediately they said I would have to pay over $12 to ship it back via FedEx and I had to locate a FedEx store. There are no FedEx facilities in my town and I would probably have to drive over an hour to find one. I have written several emails to Petco and I was told I could send it back on my own dime but I still would have to pay Petco shipping or I could take it to the store and get a full credit of $53. I think that whole deal is utterly ridiculous.

I looked at the same cage at the Petco store and it was $30 more than what they sell it for on Amazon, so my only options are to return it and get half my money back or to go to the store and buy overpriced items that I don't need. I checked the price of a water bottle and it was $12.99 at the store and a little over $6 online. I guess they make their money off you when shipping the stuff. I think their return policies are nothing but a racket and their prices are ridiculous. So I guess I'm going to have to drive 45 minutes to go to a Petco to buy overpriced items I don't need. In the future, when I buy from Amazon I will spend the time to read the little fine print on the return policy and if it's sold by Petco I'll do without it. Very surprised such a well known store could be so greedy.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Planet Petco 100% natural Catnip 2.5 oz size - Who is the genius engineer behind this product container? Where is the recall? Has this been hushed? How many cats have been killed because the super hard plastic jar has an opening just large enough for the cat to get its head stuck inside. The cat can still see, so it can run off to suffocate. We were lucky to have found the cat in time. Also lucky to be able to extract the cat. You are heartless.

Original review: July 28, 2017

My dog is diabetic and had stopped eating her regular prescription food. I found another one she would eat (Hills Science Diet). I have always ordered from Chewy and received my order within 3 days. Their site said it would ship within 3 days so I ordered. I received a email saying my order had shipped. I got it and it wasn't the complete order. No prescription food at all. Email should of stated part of order had shipped. I was waiting on this as she wouldn't eat the Royal Canin now.

I called only to find out 3 days later they still hadn't called my vet to get prescription okayed. So I said cancel my order and give me a refund, her answer "I don't know if I can do that. It hadn't even been okayed." Why not?? Finally she did but I ended up paying all the shipping for full 111.95 order. When all I got was a 16.99 item to keep. I paid 9.48 shipping. Total paid for 16.99+9.48= 26.47. Ridiculous!!! I don't recommend this company to anyone who needs what they're ordering anytime soon. Back to chewy.com for me.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I recently attempted to purchase a cat condo at Petco.com. I came across a particular condo priced at $2.99 and yes that is the correct price that was posted. Regular price was $159.99. So I thought wow. What a deal! I placed my order, received a confirmation email from them for my order. Two days later I received an email stating my order has been cancelled. I called Petco corporate and asked why my order was cancelled without any explanation. I was informed by a "manager" that there was a computer glitch in the pricing and that all the orders on that product had been cancelled.

I vented my opinion that the glitch wasn't my problem and that the price posted should be honored. "Well there was no way that was going to happen," I was told. I work in retail sales myself. "If there is any items priced wrong in my store we have to honor the price and sell at the posted price," I told her. Needless to say that there wasn't anything offered to me to satisfy my concern or even try to keep me as a customer. Petco is boycotted by me and I was a loyal customer who spent a couple of hundred dollars a month there.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Petco cancelled multiple orders from me. I ordered 30 cat trees and 20 dog beds to receive a cancellation notice in my email without any explanation! 100% sure I will never order on Petco again. Thank goodness we have PetSmart.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Tried Petco shipping - cat food cans not even wrapped - many damaged. Call "customer service" and got a young man in the Philippines. Had hard time understanding so had it escalated - and did get to speak with someone in the U.S. who was very helpful. HOWEVER - call center in the Philippines - really - country where they eat dogs and cats and treat them like vermin. This is just mind blowing to me. LAST time shopping at Petco.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Consumers beware of this program. I noted discrepancy in balance a week ago. Was advised by customer service rep that issue would be forwarded to IT to correct. Followed up this morning to find nothing had been done. Was advised that manual adjustment would be made ASAP and I would see correction when I logged back in to account. I made a purchase approximately two hours later and noted balance was same. Called backed customer service rep. Was less than helpful. Chat session produced no results other than issue would be forwarded to IT. I'm filing formal complaint with BBB.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Nobody explained that the test result expires within 30 days to purchase heartworm pills. After 30 days, you wasted money and suffering of your pet. Just to purchase the pills, you need to all the way to the place again and let your pet suffer from blood work then finally you can get. You only know this info after you hear anything from the online pharmacy that cannot authorize because of the stupid rule this company has and do not inform.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I have been using PETCO's Repeat Delivery for years now. Sometime over the last month, since my last delivery, they have changed the process of redeeming your Pals rewards automatically. Now you must log in to your account each month before you order ships and load your rewards to your account for them to be used with your repeat delivery. I am very annoyed with this. I will no longer be shopping at Petco or using this service.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Signed up for puppy dog obedience training class. Trainer did not seem to have control of class and allowed misbehaving dogs to completely disrupt class. Went in tonight for 3rd class, saw a large pitbull inside dog training ring. Took a few steps back as I have personally witnessed the aggression of his breed of dog in the past. Dog trainer said come into class, I told him my apprehension about coming inside ring with an aggressive breed of dog. He said everything would be okay. I said okay but if that dog jumps on my dog I'm getting him off. Walked inside ring, pitbull jumped on my dog in an aggressive manner. I said "That's it. I'm leaving." Dog trainer said pitbull was not leaving. I told him I am leaving instead.

Asked shift manager for refund. He said he would give me a refund. Then he came back and said he wanted me to go take dog training class with another dog trainer at that store. I called complaint line, they said they would refer call to store manager as if that would resolve anything. What a total nightmare. I will never go to a Petco ever again. Will go to the real pet store, Petsmart, even though it is a further drive.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I went to Petco to purchase a new guinea pig. My family already owns 2 females. I was approached by a manager about adopting a male they had in the back of the store. He was turned in by his owner because they were moving and couldn't have pets. The male who we named Buddy was the sweetest guinea pig I've ever seen. I adopted him immediately. We noticed he was breathing funny. I took Buddy to the vet and found out he had an upper respiratory infection. We were given antibiotics. Unfortunately, we were too late to save Buddy. He died exactly one week after we got him.

The manager told me that Buddy had been there for almost 2 weeks before he was adopted. Given the time line... he got sick in that store. So says the vet. I didn't try to return him. He was a part of the family and deserved better than being thrown in a garbage can by a minimum wage Petco employee. These chain stores are mistreating animals and don't care. I will not shop at Petco again. I only posted this as a warning for others. My family is distraught over the loss of our new pet and I don't want that happening to anyone else.

Original review: June 11, 2017

My husband brought our 4 dogs to get groomed, they refused to groom 2 of them. They were barking and so I was told out of control, I understand that... but they are like a pack of dogs (understandable)! The grooming was 53.00, Dematting 14.00, and flea and tick add on 15.00. Each dog no problem. The little dog will not let us brush her... My husband told me they said my dogs were loaded with fleas and my house was going to be bombed (they were infested) and my house was probably too!! I went to pick up dogs with husband, and the associate said same thing loaded with fleas and I told him I use Frontline and I follow all the directions to a T. He (Domenic) told me Frontline doesn't work. They have been around for so long and haven't changed.

First of all never had any problem with the product till they said I did. I was so upset so I started to buzz 1 of the dogs. They refused to take with extra caution to look for fleas and guess what? I found 1 on the dog. Now they all sleep together, lay, eat, hang out. So how did 2 dogs get loaded and the other 2 dogs only 1 flea on 1 dog??? So I looked at my receipt and they charged for dematting 3 times?? Now I was pushed over my limit. Called them. All of a sudden it's 7.00 for 15 minutes. We were never told this and I told her (Paige) she was not pleasant on the phone. I asked who was the manager. First she told me (Kate) then she said (Jerry). I spoke to him in between being put on hold numerous times without any satisfaction. I called June 11, 2017 at 10:56 am and this call was for 25 minutes long and being put on hold for more than half that time. Thank You Petco for demeaning me and my house.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I made an appointment at the Carbondale, IL grooming salon over the phone with Rita. This is the first time I have been back to Petco in about 5 years because the service was so bad then. My mom and I have two miniature poodles and our appointment was for 10:30 am for which I was early for. At about 10:45 the groomer saw me at the back of the store and said, "Oh by the way, I have a video meeting that I have to attend before I can start on your dogs." Why was the appointment made for 10:30 if she knew she had training? Nonetheless, I went ahead and left them there to be groomed.

I live 20 minutes away so I hung around until I thought they would be done (about 3 hours and there were no other dogs in there at that time). Needless to say, I went to see if they were done at 2:30 pm and she said "not even close". I asked her how much longer it would be and she said another hour and a half and there was still the same dog in there as this morning besides my 2 poodles! Well, here it is 3:30 pm and I'm still waiting! Never again!!! Where is integrity and work ethic? Don't people have any pride in themselves or the work they do anymore?

Original review: May 30, 2017

I just moved here and wanted to find a good grooming salon near me. I was referred to this PETCO by a friend. When I asked the groomer Rebecca about the signing up process and deals she was on her phone the whole time texting. She told me she was busy and told me to go to another store. I called management and they told me there's nothing they can do about her attitude and that this wasn't the first complaint they have gotten about her. Why is nothing being done?! She was so rude and management was so unprofessional!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Bought several fish and other pets from Petco. I have had several fish die after a few days. Usually I just throw them away. This time decide to take in 1 dead fish (bought 4 gold fish), 1 dead frog (bought 2). Was asked if they were in same tank. Was told goldfish eat the frogs. (Horse crap) I told them, "No, separate tanks." Then she wanted to know if the goldfish were with other goldfish. Told they eat each other. Told her it was in a tank itself. She tried several ways not to give a refund. (I had a receipt) I have seen them get out of refunds before. What the heck, for a six-dollar refund you risk losing a customer. Which you have.

Original review: May 17, 2017

3384 Tyler. St. - Store Manager ** was very rude to me when I was trying to exchange faulty light bulb. Ended up hanging up on me. Basically told me if I can't afford my pet that I shouldn't have it. What I can't afford is to keep paying for faulty light bulbs that keep going out in two months. Screw Petco and their employees! They lost a monthly customer.

PETCO Company Information