PETCO

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Dog grooming - I told them my old dog cannot stand for long to do it all while lying down. When I went to pick her up I had to help her up. Brought her home. She could not stand up long enough to eat her dinner. This did not happen the 1st time she was there. Also paid to have her ears cleaned. Was not done. I have had show dogs for 25 years and know when something was done wrong. Will not go back.

I've had 2 horrible encounters regarding the time it takes to receive my orders. I will never buy anything on the website again. I usually order from Chewy.com and compared to Petco, there is not even close in regards to shipping, receiving and customer service. I've NEVER had a problem with Chewy.com like I have Petco! Petco shipping and delivery is ridiculous! I ordered from them in January and didn't receive my product until 9 days later. I gave them the benefit of doubt because my order was placed and shipped out right before New Year's Eve and New Year's day.

This month (February) I made the mistake of ordering from them again because, they had a really good sale on their dog food, treats, bones and toys. I should have definitely stuck with Chewy.com. The price you get what you pay for definitely comes to mind regarding shipping and receiving. It's a good thing I'm only still waiting on treats, bones and 1 toy (and it's the wrong one) and not my dogs food because they'd be starving right now! Custom service skills suck. I was pretty much told I had to wait 9 days again. I was pretty much told that by the end of 9th is when I should receive the rest of my order when I ordered it on the 2nd and then even though their site says 2-5 business days.

I was pretty much told I was SOLD because that's between 2-5 business days because they don't ship anything on Saturday's. Which is absolutely ludicrous because they are open on Saturday, they are more than happy to take your money on Saturday. And, I received part of my shipment on Saturday. Even though everything was shipped on the same day I have to wait until the 9th when I placed my order on the 2nd because their shipping contract with USPS doesn't deliver on Saturday! Completely irritated after arguing for 45 minutes with customer service and a supervisor I'm completely unhappy and frankly a pissed off customer! A multi-million dollar corporation SHOULD be organized and do better in customer service regarding online shopping! I WILL DEFINITELY GO BACK TO CHEWY.COM. Their customer service is amazing and I receive my product in a timely manner!

I didn't know of the rule of you have to be 18 years or older to buy a live animal. My old local pet store let me buy a beta fish when I was 10 without a parent. I'm now 17 and all I wanted was to buy a $2 beta fish. I can understand that you can't be under 18 to buy a ferret, or a snake, but you can't buy a fish? Really? I walk into the store with a 95 lb healthy blue nose pit bull and I asked if there was a certain age to buy a beta fish. I couldn't. I think that rule is dumb and should change the rule for fish.

Yesterday, I took my dog “Annie” for her annual vaccinations to be performed by the staff at the Vetcoclinic (hereinafter referred to as “Vetco”) during clinic hours at Petco #2897 located at 7901 Lansdowne Avenue, Upper Darby, PA. The day before, I was in the store and was elated to discover that Vetco would be there the following day since Annie’s vaccinations became due this week and I had not yet made an appointment with our vet. I also appreciated the reduced cost and was told by the Petco staff to arrive before 11:30 a.m.

Accordingly, on January 29, 2017, I arrived with Annie and my 6-year-old son at approximately 11:25 a.m. Once I located where the clinic was setup - toward the rear of the store and off to the left (which was very difficult to spot amid all the inventory), I asked another customer if she could tell me where the end of the line was. Before this customer could respond, the Vetco employee who was assisting the veterinarian rudely and very loudly announced something to the effect that “No more patients are being seen.”

Then a male wearing a baseball cap and bearing no i.d. whatsoever told me I would have to leave and go to the next location on Baltimore Pike, where Vetco would be between 2-4 p.m. on the same day. When I told them that it was not yet 11:30 a.m. but only 11:25 a.m., the female assistant replied “I just checked by cell phone and the time reads 11:30 a.m.” Then she asked me whether I had the “paperwork”. Since I had completed Vetco’s Life Style Assessment thirty (30) minutes earlier, I believed she was referring to this document and replied “yes.” When she rudely asked “then where is it?”, I replied that the document was in my purse. This female assistant then said “go ahead” and we found our way to the end of the line.

After completing a form with the assistance of two nice female Vetco employees, we returned to the line and within minutes we were face-to-face again with the original female assistant. At this time, I told my son to step back some and into the aisle yet still within my vision, so that the Vetco employees could examine Annie. This female employee overstepped her bounds and told my son he could stand by her since “…he should be able to see his dog getting vaccinated.” Did she ever think once, that perhaps I did not want my son to view this procedure since he is only 6 years of age?

Then while Annie was being vaccinated, this female Vetco assistant says “The reason I was rude to you earlier was because I knew you were lying.” I said “Excuse me.” She then says, “I knew you were lying when you told me you had competed the paperwork.” I replied “I did no such thing” and showed her the 3-page document titled Life Style Assessment I had completed online and printed out earlier that day. She looked at the document, returned it and said “This isn’t the paperwork we need.” I then told her not to accuse me of lying, especially in front of my 6-yr. old, but, rather tell me that I was mistaken. She then says “ok, you did not fill out the proper paperwork”. After some small chit chat concerning my dog’s vaccinations, I paid the fee at the front of the store and we left.

Words cannot begin to explain how RUDE AND THOUGHTLESS this Vetco employee was. It’s one thing to turn away a customer because they’ve arrived too late without having to feign the truth about the time, since all cell phones pretty much operate using the same clock. There is also another way to inform a customer that he or she is mistaken about something without calling them “A LIAR.”

The treatment we received yesterday was appalling and has led me to reconsider ever using this company for my pet needs ever again. It is abundantly clear that they do not seriously regard their statement concerning customer treatment which appears in their website as follows: “…commitment to treating each other, the pets we serve and their loving owners equally - with integrity, dignity and respect…”

I have been bringing my dogs to this PETCO groomer for several years. Joann is the groomer I strictly schedule with. She is so caring, kind and thorough, and goes out of her way to make the overall experience as calming for my dogs as she can. Her work is beyond reproach, and I am sure that this is due to her skills, but also to her LOVE of her clients [four legged and two-legged!]. She is an excellent representative for PETCO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

I went to Petco today to buy my new fish a plant for their tank and as I looked around the store, I found a guppy I wanted to add to my tank. I walked over to one of the workers and politely asked if she could help me get the guppy. After looking at me as if I had kicked a puppy, she asked my age (17) and told me that I couldn't buy a guppy without a parent present. I work on a farm caring for 14 horses, with a puppy and cat of my own at home to care for, but apparently I can't buy a guppy at Petco. There goes my plans of starting an underground trade of guppies...

I received one part of my order LAST WEEK. WHY then does it take FIVE days to go from Reno NV to Bells Gardens CA and another THREE days to get to Casa Grande AZ? Are they using a PACK MULE? I have NEVER received an item that I ordered online from ANY company that took NINE days to get to me. And it hasn't arrived here yet. So we will see if it is even longer!

Just one more reason I am no longer dealing with PETCO. I have nothing but problems with every order I have ever made online with Petco. I have had to spend countless hours on the phone and online chat with reps and supervisors to sort out my orders. And forget about trying to update contact information with them. They never get it done. And repeat delivery is a joke! That is why I had to do my last "repeat delivery" order in two parts - and why I have yet to receive the second portion even though it was ordered on JAN 8th! You can't modify it or add any items to it. It will only add them for ONE time repeat delivery. How is THAT "repeat"?

I have never had such issues with any other sites and I do a lot of online purchasing. They have never been able to fix these problems in more than two years! And THAT is why I will be purchasing my pets food, treats, meds and other items from Drs .Foster & Smith and Chewy.com from now on. I have given Petco more than enough chances to fix their site and their order/delivery issues. They don't seem to care about customer "service" or about losing us.

When shopping at the Petco in Mount Vernon NY there is never a large bag to put purchases only small items bags. That is crazy. I asked the cashier why. She said that Petco expected most if not all of their customers to own cars meaning that they can put large purchases example dog bed, pet carrier and such items in the car directly without a shopping bag. I thought that was so stupid. I don't own a car and do not expect to walk out of a store with the item in my hand to go wherever I am going. Petco should be able to accommodate all size items when packing them for purchase. This needs to change.

Past experiences with staff giving wrong info on products or care. I would not shop there again. I've lost trust with them after following advice and nearly lost my dog. Ended up to be an expensive lesson.

Prices are fair. Customer service is good. Staff is not as up to date as should be but still ok. Good store for me for a few years. Almost have everything I need but asking questions is a problem to some staff on products they carry. Prices are good and perks to club members are great. Very good store for many years for me.

They always have exactly what I need for my senior cat and always able to answer my questions. Their customer service is great and they also take very good care of the animals and fish that they are finding good homes for. Every time I go in to buy monthly needs for my cat I am also able to enjoy visiting with the birds, little furry animals, and the cats that are waiting for their forever homes. The cats get a lot of one-on-one attention and the people are also able to interact with them. It's good for the cats and good for people like me.

They always have what brands of items my dog loves and they are on sale most times. They have the largest variety of products for dogs and other pets. They carry every top brand and have pal rewards that give discounts on certain items. I get reward dollars after spending a certain amount on items I'm going to buy anyways.

The closest store has a horrible manager, a couple of employees with good knowledge but the manager seems to hire high school kids that either don't know or care about the animals they sell. Lousy employees and a bad manager, I am sure there are adults who could do a much better job. I've found dead fish in the tanks, how can you not take care of that?

I go to Petco a few times a week and they are always so helpful and they know what I am there for. The manager is awesome! The staff know what I need. They tell me when they're going to have a sale of the things I am interested in also. Manager is always so helpful.

We purchased a guinea pig that wasn't compatible with our children and needed to return it. They promised us if we returned all the supplies with it, they'd find Elvis, the guinea pig, a good home. Whether they DID or not, they made my kids feel better about the situation.

For the most part I am always happy with my visit. The prices are a little on the high side, but the customer service I have received almost makes it worth the extra costs. Friendly service, knowledgeable associates, let your animals in so they can try out clothes or toys. Prices a little more than you could get it elsewhere but you not only see it, you can touch it, feel it, and your pet can try it. Also, my cat kept getting sick on food we were trying and the associate noticed that I was coming in and spending a lot of time reading bags and buying couple different kinds of food and when I told them how he had an stomach problem and they told me to bring back all the bags I opened that he could not eat and they exchanged then. They really have your pet and pockets in mind.

Every time I've been in the store, I am treated with respect as soon as I walk in. The staff is really nice. They know about the products. The woman who runs the Grooming Department is very sweet. They all love my Bulldog and treat her really good. When I go in to either buy a product or take my Bulldog in to have her nails grind, I am always treated with respect. They are just as sweet as can be. I went in there about a flea problem we were having and the lady that approached us was very nice. She knew about the different products and explain them all to me. Very friendly staff. And Stacey ** in the Grooming Dept. is very sweet and very good with my Bulldog.

Associates are well-informed, helpful and courteous. I am very happy with the service. Very informative. I called. My cat was having a very bad flea infestation. I tried Hartz and the fleas got worst. I called. Talked to one of the associates. He was so patient being that I was very upset, he suggested I use Advantage II. Awesome results. Also suggested ** which works killing fleas from the inside out. Dead fleas all over the house. AWESOME!!! Very pleased with the service. Petco is the only pet/people-friendly store I use.

I've been a PETCO customer for 5 years. They are always very helpful and know both my dogs' by name. PETCO staff are professional and friendly. They always go above and beyond to help with any concerns I may have. My dogs love the staff and can't wait to greet them when I bring them in for their grooming. I highly recommend them.

I purchased a hamster for my granddaughter on Christmas Eve at the Norfolk, VA store on Virginia Beach Blvd. I explained that she lived in Northern VA and that we would be traveling for several hrs. The store associate was very helpful and very diligent about ensuring that the hamster would not be stressed during the trip. She helped me assemble the Kaytee starter kit, put in the hamster along with food, chew toy, and water bottle. The hamster immediately buried himself under the bedding. We tested and discovered that the water bottle would leak an ungodly amount during the trip.

So after assisting other customers, she took the hamster to the back of the store. When she returned, she had replaced the water bottle with a different one. A very nice gesture. When she returned with the cage no one thought to verify that the hamster was still in it. Until she returned with the cage and new water bottle, I really had no idea what she was even doing. Since hamsters are nocturnal, I wasn't surprised that there was no movement in the cage after leaving the store.

When I arrived at my destination in Woodbridge, VA around 6 pm, you can imagine our disbelief and my granddaughter's disappointment when she discovered that there no hamster was in the cage!! OMG. We were all stressed for the rest of the day. Running back and forth to check the car - over and over again. No hampster. The store is closed. It's now Christmas Day. So I call the store manager as soon as the store opened on Monday. Mr. ** was not very customer service oriented, and was more than willing to have us wait several more days to get the hamster if the local store in Woodbridge didn't have the same kind that we originally purchased.

He did call the local store after I pressed him about some sort of restitution. He stated that he also contacted the district manager who was only willing to have us select any new hampster. I realize this was an emotional issue for our family, but I strongly think that due to the holiday mishap, he should have gone further. There was never an apology for the incident and he appeared quite indifferent to the matter - just another day at the office for him.

The store seems to have all the little cute toys and gadgets your pet will enjoy. The staff's knowledge of animal behavior is very insightful they shopping for your pet easy. My experience walking thru Petco was better than walking thru a grocery store. Very neatly laid out, organized and made simple. I didn't have to waste any time looking for what I wanted.

Customer service staff did not know what they in stock. Awful experience. Tried to purchase heated kitty house but staff didn't know what I was talking about and offered no suggestions. Went to Petsmart and purchased item where they were very helpful.

The staff are courteous and professional. They bend over backwards to assist me in every aspect. They have the knowledge of all the products, when I ask questions. There is nothing about my Petco that I am disappointed with. However I would suggest lowering prices on some of the high-grade dog foods. Not everybody is able to afford it and their animals deserve it. If Petco realized that they would understand. That is from my standpoint. My experience at Petco has always been nothing but pleasant.

Not enough staff usually and then do not know the answer to the question. Typical large company who really does not care about the customer and good service. Hire little staff to save money and no one around to help. But of all the pet places I use this is I guess the best.

There is room for improvement in their products and services. I strongly feel that some of the employees who work for Petco should really not be working there. If a person wishes to work in a pet store, it should only be a person who sincerely loves animals and wants to make them as contented and comfortable as possible.

Wrote a complaint yesterday to PETCO about a item I bought online and that their sucky FedEx delivery service refused to deliver to my house. Now PETCO is giving me the runaround about my package. After this gets resolved, I will never use PETCO services ever again. Very unpleasant. No consideration or care.

I bring my well behaved pup in for a cut and nail trim... She comes home shaved and we spend $60!!! She's barely 6 months old... I find this ridiculous as petsmart is cheaper and didn't just shave my dog down.

I visited the Petco in Waikele on Dec. 3 during the time of a dog training class. What I saw from one pet owner who was in the class disgusted me. She was hitting her dog to get him to pay attention and listen to her. If I were the trainer or manager of the store I would be highly ashamed and would not allow such actions to take place without some form of discipline. She hit her dog openly and in front of children and other customers; that surely isn't something you would want to see anywhere, let alone a pet store. I came to buy supplies, but after witnessing such cruelty I left without buying anything.

I am pissed! During Black Friday, I enrolled my puppy Sadie for basic obedience training in Petco at a discounted price. Her classes started today but when we showed up 30 mins early, her trainer gave us an attitude and said "Oh, you're supposed to let me know you're coming." We replied "you should have known for you said we could pick Thursday or Saturday whatever day works us." She said "you got 30 mins" so we just walked around the store looking for treats. She showed up to the training 2 mins late but she never apologized.

She never did the training; I was doing the training myself. She told us to keep the dog walking and have her sit when my dog didn't know how to walk on a leash yet so we were dragging her on the floor. We have to do it 6x and I got dizzy and frustrated. The training lasted only for 15 mins for she cancelled it. She said she would just pass on the training to somebody else since I don't want my dog trained with a German shepherd in her group class next week. I told her I am not letting my dog near that dog because she will be doing her quarantine. I complained to the manager who said I need to train the dog too. I said "hey, I can't do that after next week because I have to go back to work." They 're supposed to teach my dog and not me because I am paying them. Petco, you need to stop offering dog trainings. Your trainers are evidently lazy and not qualified. I am going back tomorrow to get my refund, and google and train Sadie myself!

I took my dog to have her nails cut just before her puppy class. Not long after the session begins, I noticed a lot of blood on the floor. I brought it to the attention of the trainer. Then noticed that both my puppy's paws were covered in blood. I took her to the manager and showed her her paws and told her I just had her nails clipped. Both of us went into the groomer who trimmed her nails. She told us she cut her nails too short. She put something on them to stop the bleeding. I was very upset that I wasn't told this after she did it. I got a full refund. Before the next puppy class started, I tried to get my dog into the area of the groomer. She wouldn't go near it. She has no problem going to PetSmart groomer.

PETCO Company Profile