3.45/5
Based on 226 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

Last updated: May 19, 2018

604 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

They left my dog in a tiny cage in a hot backroom for 2 hours and claimed his panting meant he was too stressed and wouldn't from him. He's a Pekingese with long hair; of course he was panting. Never do business with the Harrisville, UT Petco again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Not good with fish. Went in Saturday to buy a betta fish and several of them were sick. Two had fish rot so bad that they had no tails, and one was missing its upper fin as well. One of the Dalmatian Mollies had velvet and was dying. The same water is used for all fish - the betta fish also come from the same place and same water supply, even though they are kept in separate containers - it is the same water. They either need to get a new supplier or stop selling fish. How can you not notice a betta without tail or fins? Their beautiful tails and fins are what they are known for. I saw a beautiful betta that looked OK, but did not buy it, as if it came from the same supplier, it probably has the same diseases.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have a gorgeous one year and a half old Maltipoo with long gray hair that drags the ground. I take her to be groomed every 30 days. I took her to Petco for a feet, face and fanny trim. That's where they trim those three areas. I picked her up six and a half hours later with no phone call telling me she's ready and the girl was shaving off all of her hair. She was completely bald. I am sick to my stomach. She is doing nothing but itching, licking her bottom area. She has never ever had her haircut. She looks horrible and I am disgusted. I can't figure out anyone who could look at how beautiful she was when she walked in and take a shaver to her. I will never ever walk back in that store. Everyone beware. These groomers are not experienced. Half of them are cashiers they get put in there to fill in when they are short of help.

Original review: April 12, 2018

After years of loyal service, they refused to care for my dog. She had no change in her medical history yet, they didn’t want to groom her due to on and off tremors which have been stable and have not changed in the last year! And even though she was groomed by them just 8 weeks prior. The groomer was disrespectful and used poor language. I was embarrassed to even be associated with them and a company that would stand for that kind of behavior from their employees. Petco will no longer receive my business nor my friends or families. I know I’m a small fish in a big pond but I hope others are not treated this way.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Pocatello, Idaho - The girl that gave my dog a haircut was inexperienced and didn't seem like she knew what she was doing. She gave my dog back because apparently he was fighting with her when I know for a fact he never does that to any other groomer. He was even in there for 50 min. Got a call to come and get him. She told me that he had a knot under his chin and he was biting at the clippers and trying to get away. She was afraid that she would of cut him and told me that I needed to take him to a vet to get it removed. She gave him back with everything but his head shaved. I had to take him to another groomer and he did perfectly fine over there. So I am never taking my dog to PETCO to get groomed ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: March 12, 2018

Just found out a long time employee is no longer working there, where I don't know the reasons for this, I can tell you I won't be going back. His name was Zach, he was the only helpful person there for fish help, the other guy named Daniel is rude and very lazy, it's my understanding the only reason he's still employed there is he's friends with the manager, which is also lazy. I'm taking all my pet needs to one of the stores out of town, that's how bad this store's employees are.

Original review: March 1, 2018

It happened twice! I brought my Tibetan Spaniel to Petco Van Nuys for grooming. First time was about 8 months ago. Asking for a light groom, half an inch max, my dog came home with 1/4" from his skin. Never mind on that one, I let it go, although my dog went into hiding for about a week as if he felt naked. Couple of weeks ago, I brought my dog to grooming again at the same location, thinking that if I explain very well this time, it would prevent the problem. I even stated over the phone when I made appointment and when I brought him over regarding previous experience and asking please don't let it happen again. I said, "If it happens one more time, someone will be fired. I'm gonna raise hell all the way to corporate office."

Well, it sure it happened again and I did what I said I would do. I got verbal apology from store manager and he did not charge me for the grooming. I didn't care at all for not charging, but for my dog to wait for another 7 months or so for his hair to grow back, that's not cool! I chatted with someone at Petco online and was promised that my case it would be review and someone would contact me regarding this experience. Well, never happened! My dog is a Tibetan Spaniel, not a Chihuahua!!! His beautiful fur. Yes, it'll grow back, but to have it happened to him twice especially after I stressed the issue before leaving him with groomer for the second time is too much! I'll never bring my dog to Petco again! The best way to do for me is leaving it with social media to be aware of and think more than twice if you want to bring your dog for grooming at Petco.

Original review: March 1, 2018

PETCO store carry a wide range of products and the employees are very helpful. I have used their pet grooming service for years and never had a bad experience.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I bought a cage from Petco.com and now I realized the cage was going to be too small for my 10 month old German Shepherd. I cannot go without a cage for my dog. Left alone she will destroy my house. I called and asked for a recommendation and what options they had for a pet parent like me. They told me to return it to the nearest store. Not an option because xxl was not at the store. Then I asked what I should do. They told me to put the dog on a leash. I asked them where should I put the leash. Like are we serious!! A leash? Common. And that’s coming from “upper management” and then so I asked, "So what are my other options" and they told me to order a new cage and wait for that to arrive then return the old one.

So all human beings have the options to spend another 50-60 dollars on a cage and then wait for the cage before going to the store to return the smaller cage to get a refund. I’m sorry to inform Petco. But not all pet parents are made of money. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! My advice to Petco is maybe have a return or exchange policy that targets towards people with big dogs. Like pay for the difference of the cages and send a return label that can be scanned by the store to make sure the alternate cage was returned. Just a little suggestion.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It is very pricey but has a big selection. I love all the pets they have on hand for you to buy today. They have all the toys for that pet plus food and bedding. It's a 1 stop pet shop that you can take your pet in with you. Not make them sit in the car is a plus.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I go into the Petco at 1931 East Main Street in Spartanburg, SC monthly to purchase Canidae Dog Food for my Poodle. This is the closest business that sells it. I have been going monthly for approximately 6 years now. The company, Canidae, emails me coupons to use in the store monthly. I show them the coupon that was emailed to me, and they scan the barcode. So, I went in on 02/17 and went to the counter to purchase a bag, with a 30% off OOPS sticker on it... I presented the coupon of $5 off any bag, and the Manager, **, replied by saying he could not accept this coupon. I told him that I had been coming in every month for 6 years and using a coupon. I can look up the dates on my bank statements if anyone would take the time to look at the video. ** continued to tell me that he had NEVER taken a coupon like this. Lie number 1.

I then pointed to his cashier, **, who had also taken several of them from me. So SHE broke into our conversation rudely and said SHE had never taken one. Lie number 2. I'm not trying to get something for free here, but I want the public to know that this so called manager is WRONG. Once again, I can look up dates on my bank statement, if HIS DM or RM would like to view the video, where they will see, that BOTH ** AND ** TOOK MY COUPON, and now, suddenly won't take it any longer, and say that they've never taken it. This would not be a big deal if I were not disabled and not on a fixed income. Not to mention, I will NOT shop there again. EVER. And I WILL, let everyone know about this that does shop there. ** was extremely rude. He lied to my face. As did the cashier. I will make SURE that everyone knows his name. This could have been avoided.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The food products are rarely rotated. Staff members concern with sales only. They are better actors than the true performers. I have visited many of these locations and still have the same results.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I went to PETCO to get a bag of dog food and when I was checking out I inquired if Petco ever put out any coupons. This weird little weeny man at Tatum & Bell store Phoenix at about 12 PM on Sunday morning came to the register because the girl did not know. The price listed on the dog food was 19.99 and the register was ringing up $25.99. The little weeny guy would not let me explain and told me to "hush". I told him, "Don't tell me to hush" and he said I should leave the store like he is doing me some kind of favor to shop at that overpriced store. I could understand if I was making a scene but I was not. I just said, "Don't tell me to hush!" Then I told him, "** you!" I was sooo shocked and left.

This is not the first time I have discovered weird pricing and rudeness at this store. Walmart has pretty much the same required things for pets at half the price and PetSmart is even better. The little weeny man should not be working in retail as mentally he is ill-equipped. I have six animals and will never go back to that store again as there are way too many other stores that do not have the little weeny man. The little weeny man had short black hair that was a little curly. He had medium build and rather short height. No glasses. I do not think this store will be around long. Too rude and overpriced and too many other places to go. :)

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I frequently shop Petco and love their large selection of products. I also use their grooming service for my dog. They are always very helpful and provide great service.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I usually buy my pet food at PETCO. They have a good selection of grain free dog and cat food and the staff members are always very courteous and helpful. I also use their online service, especially the repeat delivery service. I am very pleased with both.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My dog gets excited to go to PETCO. He gets groomed there, and they're very good with him. They're very friendly and they go out of their way to help you. They also taught my daughter about leopard geckos.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

PETCO offers lower prices for automatic reorders of pet food delivered to your door and they charge your credit card each month. What they don't tell you is if there is a fluctuation in price, they will NOT let you know ahead of time. They charged me thirty dollars more for the same product and told me there was a price increase from the manufacturer. Then, the price decreased magically right after it was delivered to me. A refund of the difference was not offered.

I believe they are price gouging the customers on repeat delivery hoping they won't monitor their credit card receipts closely. This is unacceptable and I will NEVER shop here again. The food was Natural Balance and I was charged 55 dollars for six months and then charged 81 dollars. When I called today, it was down to 68 dollars. Unacceptable for there to be a fluctuation in the price of Pet food and unacceptable that they don't call their loyal customers to make them aware of a huge fluctuation in price.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I will never go to PETCO in Stillwater, Oklahoma again. The cashier Lynette or Leyann or something like that was very rude when I asked her a question about my cat. She glared at me like I was stupid and never responded.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Avoid Petco State College, PA groomers. Most of them cannot treat dogs property. Their service is non professional and very unpleasant. They hurt my dog and returned it to me partly groomed. They teared pieces of her hear off. That was horrible.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I went to Petco for the first time in my life because we have a new dog. I have never been treated with such disrespect in any store ever. The employee there was rude and unkind. One of the items I wanted to purchase was out of stock, which is fine. The second one I had found on several sites online and it was $14.99. However, the item in the store was listed at $63.99. I wasn't too concerned because it says that they price match. NOT TRUE! The employee said they would never price match that because it was too low. I finally said we would leave and not be back and she replied that that was just fine with her. So I purchased my items on Amazon, they were delivered in two days and Petco lost $300 worth of sales on just one day... and all of the sales for the rest of my dog's life.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I ordered a bag of prescription food online hoping to at least earn some rewards for the cost. Three days after the order it was still processing, so I called. The first person had me take a photo of the script label on the bag I had from my vet and email it to her. Then she transferred me to an "escalation specialist" who told me that wasn't good enough and that either the vet would have to respond to the fax they were sent or the vet would have to call. I called the vet and they said they received the fax AND that they had sent it back completed, they had proof that they did this.

So I told the vet this was crazy and I would just get the food through them and cancel PETCO. When I called Petco back they transferred me to the "escalation specialist" that I spoke with earlier. I told her the vet not only got the fax, but they responded and had proof of this. I told her that I wanted the order cancelled and I would never order online from them again. She said, "Fine. Your order's cancelled" and HUNG UP!!! I wasn't able to ask about the money being refunded to my account or anything. I will never buy online from Petco again, what horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I purchased two products which were chew toys from Petco. The items we’re substandard and a potential choking or death hazard even to my medium chewer. She had the plastic ball in tiny pieces in moments and had injested parts. Another chew toy which was rope covered in fabric a similar result, I contacted them, they had no interest in even what the products were and simply said, "If you still have the pieces return to the store." I had photos they did not even respond to those. All about the mighty buck. No interest in pet welfare or safety. Disappointed. Shame on them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I really like the selection and customer service but I normally shop at a pet food warehouse type store in my area which is privately owned and the prices are much lower. I have a lot of pets so I need to shop at a place with lower prices.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I took my niece's dog to the pet store to purchase a bag of a certain type of dog food. The associates in the store was professional, helpful and polite. They took me exactly where the dog food was and gave me information on what kind to get. I was in and out the store in 10 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We’ve been shopping at Petco for over 30 years. Never have we had a bad experience. Our bulldog loves the salon. We’ve shopped for food, treats, toys, and bedding for both dogs and cats.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Prices are always much higher than other stores. Selection is minimal. I wish the stores would be more aware of the dangers in treats and foods from China. And to stop selling Rawhide.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Petco meets my needs as far as cat food, litter, and toys. I prefer to go to Petco for my litter especially. I find some other stores a little bit more for a role for the food, that Petco has everything, except for the dryer, but I like to use.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

The clerks are very friendly and helpful. The Grooming salon for my Yorkie is very clean and Liz is very good with my Daisy. I generally find what I need and the products are of good quality. I'm very happy with Petco and their employees.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I love going to PETCO every time I go into town and every once in a while I take my baby Ciara. She goes crazy in there and of course I buy her a toy and things like shampoo to make her smell good and other things and yes I spoil.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We have 3 other pet stores close by, but I like Petco. I have bought 4 pets from Petco and the people are always very friendly and helpful. And they have always had a personal interest in my pets. Which were 3 hamsters (the salesperson really knew about hamsters, helped us find the right one) and a bearded dragon, who I talk about with them and bring him to visit.

PETCO Company Information