1.35/5

Looking for a pet store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

648 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I ordered this prescription diet for my sick cat. 9 days later I contact customer support to find out when I can expect delivery. The guy informs me that the prescription diet food I ordered has been placed on back order with no information as to when it would be available. I had received no notice that there was a back order. So basically my sick animal has to suffer because Petco couldn’t be bothered to let me know his prescription food wasn’t available?! Not Happy.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I took my little parker to Petco in Indian Land SC and I will never go back there again. I told the lady when we got there that we live in Massachusetts so we didn't want his haircut too short because of it's cold up here. She said okay that's fine and she would handle it. I get back after four hours and she completely shaved my dog. I hardly even recognized my own dog. She left no hair on his stomach or face and she even cut his ears and made him bleed. I take him home and he's been reverse sneezing and acting different ever since. He's scared to take baths and shakes while I bathe him. Before all this, he used to love taking baths. He's very Lethargic and now I'm going to take him to the vet because I'm worried he's got a cold. Thanks, Petco. Great service.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Parkville MD Petco. This location should be closed. The animal are dirty and not cared for. The fish are died in their tanks. I feel sorry for these poor animals. The ferret's cage is always full of poop. Why doesn't corporate ever come unannounced and check on them. The manager and Marisa are nasty with the customers. Please check on this location or better yet get new people who care.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Petco located in Madison, AL (Hwy 72). Petco and their grooming staff are not good honest people. This is our second bad experience with them and they seem to not care about certain customers. Today, we had an appointment for our two goldendoodles puppies to get groomed. Our appointment was at 8a. We arrived at 7:55. The store was still a little dark so instead of getting the puppies and our kids out of the vehicle to walk to the door, my husband walked up by himself to check to see if they were open. The doors did not open and they had the hours of operation from 9a to close. So I thought to myself maybe I put the wrong time down and it was at 9a.

We drove home and came back to the store at 9a. Automatic doors opened and we went to the grooming department. A young lady advised us that the groomer left after we pulled off. What?! We told them that we were here at 8a but the doors did not open. She advise us that we had to pry the automatic doors open and come on in. Now we are disgusted and upset.

We spoke with the manager and he was basically a yes man. We explained to him that there is nothing on the door telling us to pry open the automatic door during non-operating hours for the salon. We were not told this information. Did they expect my husband (a black man) to basically break into the store? All it would have taken was someone to call the police and my husband could have been in jail or dead. Why? Because there was no information telling people to pry open the automatic doors before the store open hours. Besides, the groomer saw my husband come up to the door and leave. Yet she did not call us to say, "Hey, I just saw you all leave. We are open." She either didn't want to work or she didn't want to serve us. I say that because this is our second incident where grooming has not served us and I am starting to think it's because of the color of our skin.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Felipe needs an attitude check. Rude during checkout. Perhaps he needs to not work in front. Not sure why it's difficult to speak with someone with respect. Plenty of people are able. Seriously Felipe, why be rude?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The worst online experience possible. Absolutely slowest website to be found. Who has an hour to buy a bag of cat food. Try Chewy.com. Much much much better experience. I will never attempt to shop at Petco again. Every time I try it's just a horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I bought my nephew a fish, aquarium, and supplies at the Petco in Totowa a few days ago. I brought everything to my parents' house in order to set it up and give it to him for the holidays. After setting up the aquarium, I went to plug it in and realized one of the prongs was missing from the plug. I brought it back to the Clark location (close to my parents' house) but they did not have the aquarium there. I then called customer service to complain since I am not able to get back to Totowa until after Christmas...after it is too late to give my nephew his gift. The representative on the phone, Jay, said there was nothing he could do and that my only option was to take it back to the original store I bought it. I have had much better customer service and have bought much better products at mom and pop shops around the area... Will stick to those instead.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered several items from them. I got 2 items, then nothing. I started looking for an email. I got an email to rate the items I had ordered, but I never received them. Found the email from them. It said, "Your order has been canceled." I emailed them to find out why was the rest of my order canceled, never heard from them. I’ve ordered from other pet companies and never had this experience.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I tried to make an appointment for grooming, had to call an unreal number of times because they were "too busy" and not answering the phone. When able to talk I had to talk to the supervisor who was not available several times, several days. My 1 year old dog takes medication for seizures which he had a few after being born. Since I adopted him 10 months ago, he only had 3 seizures during the night, the last one 4 - 5 months ago. The supervisor told me I needed a letter from my vet approving for my dog being groomed. Nobody else was able to tell me that before?! When I got the letter more days wasted trying to call again for the appointment. When finally talked to the supervisor again she "only had one available four weeks later"(!!!)...

She informed me that if the dog showed "signs of stress" (???) she would have to stop the grooming. Confused I asked if it was not normal for a dog to be "stressed" when groomed. She said they would have to see how my dog "reacts." The appointment "had to be" at 12:30 pm, so I had to take a day off from work. Got there 12:25 pm and there was nobody there... Again the supervisor and employees were nowhere to be found. Do they all have to take breaks at the same time? Or they wanted me to wander around the store for a while to push me to pick up something from their shelves?

Finally they showed up, this lady whom I believe was the supervisor (she did not introduce herself) asked me a few questions, then she put a leash on my dog to look at him, then she put him on a table and attached a harness around his neck, but naturally my dog was trying to get off of it, panting. So she just said she was not able to do anything with him, that I would have to have it done with my vet. This was just more than a whole month, plus one day of work for me totally wasted!!! If they are so incompetent, and busy as it seems, why they don't just be honest and refuse to take pets with any issue that would mean a risk for them that they are just not capable of handling? I guess that's what keeps them busy. They just try to take anything, and let the customers suffer the consequences only after they figure out that they can't handle it. I'm through with PETCO...

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have been using Petco's grooming service for 6+ years for my service dog. Scheduled appointments, kept appointments, paid their charge for appointments plus tips. He is a small breed dog and they have always performed standard grooming services on him in 30 minutes or less while I wait for him. I have always informed them that I will be waiting for him! On my last trip to Petco I had a 10:30 appointment and arrived at approx. 10:15. They immediately took him in, made no mention that they were severely understaffed. or given any other reason that I would have immediately rescheduled the visit and proceeded immediately grooming service on him, ie: trimming his toenails, I stepped outside for brief minute because all they had left was bath and towel dry him as they have always done. When I came back in expecting him to be just about finished.

They had put my service dog in a cage in the back, for the very first in 6+ years. When I heard him howling I immediately question why they put him in a cage as they had never ever done him that way in the past. At that point they informed me that they were understaffed. I told them to get my dog out of the cage and give him to me now, they stated he was wet. My response was, "Lend me towel and I will towel dry him myself." They did not provide a towel so I used my shirt to dry him off, paid the bill and took my service dog out of that store to never return.

I called the store and talked to one of the assistant managers. Reply, "Under staff." My response, "If understaffed then close up shop but or at least allow the customer to decide if that's the type of service they want." I then called corporate and it took 1 month and a day after my initial call to corporate to contact me back. Heard the same sob story from corporate. So if you're looking for an all day jail for your service dog or pet give Petco a call! I don't think they care about your pet or you!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I bought two hamsters last last Thursday. I have never bought hamsters before so I did not realize that Petco had sold me two sick hamsters. On Tuesday, they began to get sick, so I took them back to Petco on Wednesday. The doctor did not see them until Saturday, three days later. What kind of service is that? One died on Sunday morning and one is very sick. What kind of sick treatment is that? To just let a hamster die because you did not want to see it. I recommend to never ever buy anything, especially pets, from Petco.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Purchased some marine life from them. They bag it take it to the register and ring it up. Drove home 45 minutes, looked in bag and 15 dollars worth of merchandise missing. Called the Store and guess what? Their manager ** says it’s sitting there. So I tell her I want a refund by means of a gift card so I can use it at my local Petco. Can’t do it. Tells me to call corporate office. Called them. They called ** and say that they stand by what she says. So they ripped me off 15 dollars. Just plain out crooks. How hard is it to send a gift card to me to cover their damn mistakes? Almost tempted to file a police report for theft. A little overkill. Spend 300-500 a year in marine life and supplies. This is the last time I deal with them ever. Store Petco 6720 Fox Centre Parkway Gloucester VA Phone 1-804-792-6039.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I bought 2 Angelfish last week. The guy said, "Well the black one isn't looking too good, but we have a 30 day return policy." Well I returned (less than a week later) because both fish had died. I had my receipt, but they wouldn't let me get 2 more fish without bringing in the 2 dead fish, as well as a water sample from my tank. Really PETCO? We flushed the first dead one, as it was several days ago. I don't understand why they have this policy - do people really try to scam Petco over a few dollars in fish? I won't ever be going back there!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Went to change order on a repeat delivery and add two other items only to find out there is a surcharge that costs more than one of the items in the order. I get we are in AK but the items are already *here* and ship from a local store. Just lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

$45 surcharge for a $50 order. Completely ridiculous. I already have to pay for shipping, so what is the surcharge for? It's only going to be shipped from a local store. Mainland stores probably don't have to suffer with this surcharge nonsense. I've shopped here for years, but no more. Being greedy is only going to make them lose business. Amazon here I go.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have repeatedly tried to give this store (Parkside) a chance, but time and time again they disappoint me. The disturbing lack of knowledge of most of the employees who take care of them at Petco is ludicrous. Every other time I visit there is a very long line, with only one employee on the register and helping in the aquatic area of the store - not to mention I have seen many dead or sick fish in tanks, fish in the wrong environment, and cats sleeping in their own dirt... What are the employees doing??? What is the management doing??? I can answer. On their cell phones or hanging out in the back room - blocking the way to the public restrooms and gossiping about employees LOUDLY.

The last time, I saw possibly five people all crowded into that tiny room and outside. I am 100% sure there are person(s) who like animals or is an animal lover but when I inquire on my long wait I get replies like, "Not my problem. I'm ship from store". I have seen the employee calling on their phone for assistance over five times to help with the long line but they might as well not bother. Getting a truthful apology is like pulling teeth and I have no idea why this Petco store is still in business at all. I am tired of seeing tired, under-trained employees, the lack of accountability and the horrible customer service. I am very disappointed by the actions of Petco. I have seen numerous employees come and go from that store in an incredibly short time period. I notice my favorite employees that used to be there are gone.

I remember Jennifer being there for about one year, Ashley for a time, and Jools being there for a shorter amount of time. I always thought Jennifer would be promoted. When I asked why, she would make a joke and change the subject. Now she is gone. Ashley the groomer was fired I heard because she is unwell, and I was also surprised as Jools was the dog trainer and helped me so much with queries and the first time we met as an example, was after my puppy's accident and he stayed long after his shift had ended to help see my dog was taken care of. Very friendly and knew so much about dogs that I am sorry to see him go. He clearly loved the animals, but I hear Petco does not pay very well. I think this is horrible, and horrible Petco is allowing customers to leave the store dissatisfied, and good employees to seek a better employer.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I'm so sick in tired of everytime I want to do a price per PETCO, when I give the information and THEY verify it, they see there's a difference in price. I want to go into a store a pick up 8 packs of 100 count paper pads which there is a $35 difference in price. In the past I have ALWAYS gotten the difference in REWARDS DOLLARS so once I get to the store I have to go back and forth with them to correct the difference in price, because of course the price is way higher than what's online. Now that I want to repeat the process now they are telling me that they can't give me the difference in rewards dollars, when this has been happening every since PETCO came up with this price match. I will no longer shop at PETCO and shop online or PETSMART! The customer service barely understands what the customer is saying, so do you suppose to get anything done.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I bought my kitten about five weeks ago. They said he had his shots, he was neutered and he was dewormed. The only problem I have is a few days after he came home I noticed he had blood in his stool. I have another cat and a dog as well. I ended up taking his Jordan and found out he had a parasite. I ended up not only paying for a stool test but also for medication for him and my other cat that I had to give twice a day to both. Luckily my dog was fine. About two weeks later the diarrhea continued and I found more blood. Took another sample to the vet, paid another bill and found out he had Giardia which they didn’t pick up with the first test possibly because he was so overloaded with the previous coccidia.

More laundry to do again. Had to go back to the vet and get more medicine to give twice a day to him. Have to change the complete litter box after every stool and bleach it. He has been going three times a day. I am upset that NAWS either didn’t evaluate him well or that Petco did not keep the cages clean from other pets. I love him dearly but he has cost me several hundred dollars in vet bills, medication and litter not to mention the amount of time put into laundry, medicating, and cleaning the litter box. Plus I had to worry about my other pets and family as Giardia can be transmitted to humans. I would have been better off going to the animal welfare and spending $25 on a cab rather than $125.00 and having all this extra cost.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I placed an order for prescription food for my pet - only to find out that after day 3 they still didn't get in touch with my vet for approval - they are very unprofessional on the phone you will hear different explanations, everyone said something different to me and meanwhile I needed the food - I just will drive to Petsmart and get it myself.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Just recently Petco now tacks on a surcharge to shipments to HI. I had my pet's food on repeat delivery and made things so convenient. They still have free shipping over a certain amount but that doesn't exclude the crazy surcharge. For 2 bags of treats the surcharge is at least a 3rd of the subtotal.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have never been around such incompetence levels as of my local Petco. It's a long story but the bottom line is Petco is very poorly run. Don't do business with them, you will be sorry. And don't try to call for customer service unless you want to talk to the Philippines. And I don't know about you but I don't give my personal information to a third world country that I don't do business. Petco are you not aware of the identity theft nowadays? Is the few dollars you save on exploiting cheap labor worth losing customers?? I guess so.

Just got off the phone with another moron from Petco. She claimed that they just can't credit back to a credit card unless I drive all the way to their store for the 3rd time to actually give them my card. Can't give them the numbers off the card that they already have. They make me drive all the way down there to get credit. They tell me they just aren't capable of processing a credit without the actual card. BS, anyone can do that. And if you can't why are you in business? How ridiculous is that? Bottom line is SCREW YOU PETCO, COULDN'T USE THE LANGUAGE THAT THESE CLOWNS DESERVE OR IT WOULDN'T POST.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Visited their online website to get specific cat treats, logged in as guest, choose the PayPal option for payment, reconfirm address, log into my PayPal address, hit pay button, Then you are redirected to log into your Petco account, which hints at auto re-order, First they say to pay, then won't allow me to pay until I sign up, which will likely lead to an auto re-order situation, NO THANKS, FIX THIS, ANNOYANCE. ABORTED THE ORDER, WILL NOT ATTEMPT ANOTHER ONLINE ORDER FROM PETCO.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I hate writing a negative online review but I feel like others need to know this. In late September, I place an order for ONE item. Although it was much later arriving than advertised I did receive it. In mid October my bank account was debited FOUR times for this item. After spending literally three hours back and forth on the phone between "customer service" and an "escalation manager", who by the way "does not have an outgoing line" and cannot give you a number to call back on my issue was unresolved. No, I did not click the order button three more times... They only found ONE order for me.

Their solution was to call my bank and dispute the charges because they could not even see it had been charged 4 times! How frustrating that I now have to wait for 7-10 days to get over $300.00 back in my account for their mistake. This was the most frustrating "customer service" experience of my life. That will be my first and last online order with PETCO. If you order, make sure and check your bank accounts for accuracy.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They do not follow your instructions regarding grooming your dog, add on lots of charges as they see fit, and quite honestly, are rude. Not to mention that their computer system is often down, and often there isn't anyone at the register to even ring you out.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My dog was afraid of grooming. After picking her up I realized she has some nails not clipped and her hair is choppy. I was told they had a refund policy if unhappy with service however I have contacted PETCO multiple times and was told someone would contact me. I still haven't received a call and it's been over a month.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

First time ordering anything from Petco online... Ordered prescription food for my dog on a Sunday night, they faxed my vet for authorization on Tuesday, my vet responded with authorization same day... it is now Thursday and they still have not processed my order for shipment, although they were super quick to take my money when I put the order in. They don't anticipate my order to arrive for another 8 days. Customer service is poor, pretty much a "well, that's all we can do" kind of attitude. No compensation for excessive timeline for delivery. While I was on the phone with Petco's customer service on Wednesday, I ordered the same order from Chewy.com and will be receiving that order tomorrow (Friday). Two days for Chewy to accept order online, process, and deliver to my doorstep. Why would anyone go with Petco?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I recently purchased a bag of puppy food from PETCO. My 5 month old puppy has been on this food since she was 8 weeks old. I have never had an issue. When we opened the new bag of food the puppy did not seem to want to eat it. Thinking that she was just being a puppy I picked it up and tried a little later. She did eat it that evening. The next morning she had a rumbly stomach and vomited. She did not want to eat. Called my vet. Treated for gastrointestinal problems. Medication seemed to help. She ate puppy food later that day. Following day vomited and lethargic. Took her in vet did an x ray and gave an anti vomiting injection. Did not feed the puppy food but fed her my adult dog's food. Puppy got better.

Tried to return said bag of puppy food to store. Purchase was made using my Pal's card. Manager looked up my purchase via electronic journal. Found my purchase but told me she could only give me an in store credit. Explained that I did not keep the receipt because puppy had been on the same food without any issues. Further explained that I did not want an in store credit as I did not want to purchase another bag of puppy food as I was worried that it would make my puppy sick again. She was very smug in her reply implicating that the food could have been purchased at another retailer. I spoke to Petco's Corporate office and got the same answer.

I asked the customer service rep what she would do if her puppy had been sick 4 days. She told me that she understood but could not help me. It is apparent that profit is more important than pets. All I wanted was my money back so that I could buy another bag from a different source so that I would not have to worry that my puppy would get sick again. Shame on you Petco for making people think you care about their pets. Bottom line is you are more concerned about losing a $50 sale than the health of a 5 month old puppy. I will never set foot in a Petco store again. Maybe their CEO Ron Coughlin needs to rethink his priorities. What has happen to good old customer serve. After all it the customer who pays ALL of their salaries. Without us there is no business.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Las Vegas - W Charleston. Adoption events on Sat and Sun, went on Sunday and as we walked up, they were quiet and unfriendly. At first I didn't think anything of it. We stood there, in front of one fence that had 3 volunteers in there and they were cuddling puppies. I started asking questions about one dog. The response was short. My husband finally asked if we could see the dog. We washed our hands in Lysol but the girl just cuddled the dog and wouldn't put him down for us to even see his personality. She actually was basically refusing to let us see the dog. I finally asked, 'Are you adopting this dog?' Some older woman came over and she was unfriendly and about as useful as a stick.

The bottom line is that they had zero interest in adopting out any of those dogs. I believe it's a racket and they are supposed to be a charity and that helps reestablish dogs as service dogs or adopting them to good homes. I 100% believe that they were judging us either by race issues or because my husband has tattoos. I have never felt so unwelcome in my life. Side note that I went to another adoption event for them at different location and the people there were so much nicer and truly cared about the dogs. I called the store Manager but I do not believe that is enough.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This is how a Petco store manager and dog trainer could have ruined a young dog’s socialization and possibly his life. We have a 16-week-old puppy. We had been taking to the Bremerton, Washington Petco for about four weeks for their free puppy play sessions on the weekends. The first few weeks it was fine, but in the last two weeks it unfortunately became clear that the trainer doesn’t seem to understand the purpose of these sessions. Our puppy has progressively been getting better about being calmer during play because we have specifically asked the trainer to interrupt his play more often, to have him sit and get a treat before continuing play. This is a proven and standard method used by world-class trainers such as Dr. Ian Dunbar, used to teach a puppy that the owner stopping play or asking for a recall or sit is not the end of the play session--rather, the puppy gets rewarded with play for a good sit and a calm moment.

The Petco trainer began punishing our puppy for typical excited puppy play (simple/common things like pawing or jumping--no inappropriate biting or anything else concerning) by asking us to sit outside the pen for 15-20 minutes and watch the other puppies play. She said he needed to “be calmer,” but how are you supposed to teach a 16-week-old puppy to be calmer by forcing him out of play sessions for a long period of time so he can become frustrated? This isn’t a class where puppies are learning obedience or how to walk on leash. This is a play session, supposedly intended to teach young puppies good bite inhibition and appropriate play with other dogs. But that’s not how Petco is using it, and it would easily have led to our puppy developing frustration and reactivity toward other dogs because of her negative methods.

The training method she used on our puppy is called negative punishment, as defined by professional dog trainers. Not a method any reasonable person should be using on a 16-week-old puppy. You have to teach puppies impulse control in stages, progressively making the little breaks longer over time. You can’t suddenly ask for a 10 minute-plus break and expect the puppy to learn anything (except frustration). It’s ridiculous that Petco's trainers don't know this, and are punishing a puppy for normal puppy behavior--excitement--with frustration. This trainer doesn’t seem to understand the basic tenet of animal training: reward for good behavior.

We tried talking to the store manager, whose response was completely unhelpful and inappropriate. He didn’t attempt to understand what we were saying or where we were coming from. Instead, all he did was defend the trainer without even trying to understand the circumstances. He suggested that “maybe she did this because of a safety issue.” How could there be a safety issue with a 16-year-old puppy? (Besides, she specifically said there was no safety issue, that it was purely about "excitement.") Even if there was a safety concern, negatively punishing a puppy will hardly rectify any problem. It will cause one. The manager also said outright that he would not be speaking with the trainer about our complaint, so offered absolutely no help to us and no attempt to understand or figure out a solution.

On top of all that, he argued that Betsy hadn’t had any prior complaints, yet in the short time we’ve been going here we’ve seen multiple people leave seemingly confused or disgruntled and haven’t returned. Regardless, it was clear from his behavior that he couldn’t care less about customer satisfaction. I also spoke with the regional manager by phone, and he said that the trainer at this location was following Petco's policies. I clarified that their policies could be causing long-term behavioral damage to puppies being brought here, and he didn't seem concerned. He said he'd spoken with the trainer in question and she didn't dispute anything I'd said in my complaint. So the real issue here is that Petco is okay with their trainers utilizing negative and potentially highly damaging methods with the dogs being brought there.

The regional manager said he would take my issue to the trainer policy-makers at Petco, but specifically said he doubted they would change anything. I also had to ask again about the store manager and his lack of customer service or concern, and the regional manager said he would look into it. Whatever that means. I'm hoping that by sharing our experience, we can try to protect other peoples’ puppies who may be experiencing some of Petco's negative training methods. I highly recommend you take your puppy elsewhere for socialization and training, as Petco clearly doesn't care about your puppy so much as they care about protecting themselves.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Absolutely horrible experience. Alright first off all the workers were just sitting around talking instead of helping. Finally one guy turned around after I stood there for seven minutes. Just to find out the guy works in the reptile department and not the fish department so he had no clue how to handle or inform me about my fish. They attempted to sell me a 40 dollar goldfish, when the sticker under its tank with a picture of the fish I wanted said 6.99$ and they refused to give the fish to me for that price saying it was 40$ when the tag said 6.99$. So I can promise you my family and I will never be shopping at any Petco ever again. WATERTOWN PET SUCKS. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

PETCO Company Information