1.18/5

Looking for a pet store?

718 PETCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 27, 2019

I called to have my dogs thyroid medication refilled on 3/18/19, apparently they received the order from my vet on 3/20/19. According to their website, this is what they say about prescription fills: "While Petco sells products for small pets, fish, reptiles and birds, its online pharmacy currently caters to dogs and cats only. Once the pet retailer confirms a pet’s prescription with its veterinarian, the medication is shipped to the pet owner’s door within 24 to 48 hours. Petco’s online pharmacy service also offers a price-match guarantee, and ordering can be done through the retailer’s website or app."

I have called multiple times and waited on hold a total of over 2 hours to try to get this resolved. My dog is still without his medication and it is now 3/27/19 and the tracking number says it is 'expected' to be delivered on 4/2/19. No one will call me back when I call Petco and ask to speak to a supervisor and no one can give me a straight answer as to what the issue is. They most definitely did not respond to my order within 24-48 hours as they claim and at this rate, my dog will probably be dead by 4/2/19 after waiting so long to have his thyroid medication which is critical to his health. I will NEVER buy from or use this company again.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I used to buy my dog's meds and such from Drs. Fosters & Smith. Did that for over 10 years. Then they sold out to Petco. I ordered Frontline (to be picked up in store) which went off w/out a hitch. But I also ordered Gabapentin which needed the vet's ok. Placed the order 3-20th. By that night Petco had w/drawn from my PayPal acct. the total for the whole order, over 120.00 worth. The prescription med was 68.40 of that. Well by 3-26th the meds were in process, my vet still hadnt been faxed the request for the meds and Petco gave me the run around. Oh yea they also screwed up from the get go by assigning some other vet to my dog, and not the one I requested. So by the 26th I was fed up. It took me 1 phone call, 1 email and 2 live online chats to get this med cancelled.

So I went on my PayPal acct to check to make sure PayPal was only charged for the Frontline that was picked up. Come to find that they sent the whole thing through to PayPal a few hrs after I placed the order. WTH? Who does that but a crook? I mean the vet hadnt even got the fax to ok it or not. Petco had no idea and they didnt care. They wanted the $. I have filed a dispute with PayPal and enclosed proof. So hopefully I will get a refund for 68.40. I will never ever in any way or place do business with Petco online or in store or whatever. It sucks Fosters and Smith are no more. We should gather people who Petco has done this and other wrongs and form a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 26, 2019

How can Petco Repeat Delivery department send me the wrong product twice in a row?? That’s completely unacceptable. Everyone can make mistakes, but twice in a row?? If Petco doesn’t have the product they agreed to send me every 15 days, they should just tell me and I would buy somewhere else! Such an inconvenience!

Original review: March 26, 2019

Once PETCO bought out Dr. Fosters and sold their inventory of medication without any notice to the customer. And even when placing an order for medication in stock... After 2 weeks of them keeping my dog's heart medication order in pending (even with an approved prescription!) I ended up canceling my order. Purchased from Chewy, received it next day. Nothing like Dr. Fosters. Don't even bother.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Updated on 04/03/2019: Two weeks later and I'm still in a dispute with Petco. After assuring me that multiple medications were cancelled, I received an email indicating they had shipped. I still haven't received them and the tracking number is invalid. I have disputed the charges with my credit card company. It shouldn't be so difficult to refill prescriptions for a pet.

Updated on 03/27/2019: I'm still having issues with PETCO. I made two requests to cancel my entire order. One med was cancelled, two have shipped, and the others are pended. This time I tried contacting PETCO via the link provided in the confirmation email, however it was a broken link. I also replied to their email once again indicating that the order had been cancelled. I spoke with my credit card company and they instructed me on how to deny the charges from PETCO. STAY AWAY FROM PETCO!! It really is a shame that they took over Foster and Smith.

Original Review: My dog has heart failure and takes four medications. Foster and Smith was always great to deal with. My experience with Petco mimics that of the other reviewers. The meds remained in pended status even though my vet faxed two authorizations. They couldn’t confirm when the order would ship, nor could they confirm the cancellation of my order. I reached out to my credit card company in an attempt to block charges from Petco. I never could get a live person to speak with and the online chat was absolutely useless. It was obvious the employee didn’t speak English and it took 30 minutes for her to suggest sending an email to support. ??? Never again will I use Petco.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I ordered my dog's thyroid medication on 3/17/19. I received no communication from Petco regarding the status and called on 3/25/19 to check. I called my vet's office to get an emergency supply as my dog was already out of medication and they said they had a lot of complaints about Petco pharmacy. When I called customer service, they told me they had not processed my order yet, had not contacted my vet and asked me if I had the fax number. I told them I did not, that was their job, but I could give them the phone number and they could call and get the fax number.

I told the representative that it had already been a week and needed to be resolved. She told me she "couldn't do anything". I told her to cancel my order then, and she said she couldn't do that either. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me none were available and would call me back. I have not received a return phone call yet. I tweeted Petco and let them know there was an issue, they asked me to direct message them my order and they would get back to me. I have not had any communication from them at this time. I would go anywhere else but Petco.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My dog takes daily heart meds and we filled through Doctors, Foster, and Smith. We received emails when they merged with Petco that Rx's would transfer to Petco. My vet had called/faxed a script to Doctors, Foster, and Smith in January with refills. We needed more this week so I did an online chat with Petco and was advised as long as she had refills, and I ordered the meds, that they would be sent out. I ordered them and even signed up for monthly, repeat orders and I was charged for them but I noticed tonight that the order is still pending. I just completed a 2nd online chat with Petco and was told this time that even though they have the script with refills from DF&S, Petco had to send a fax to my vet and they are waiting for approval. What? So now she is out of her heart meds so I will be getting elsewhere. Very sad. We were always impressed with Doctors, Foster, and Smith.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I was a long time Drs. Foster and Smith customer for my elderly lab who takes multiple medications daily. When I first ordered from Petco after they merged with F&S, I was told that my Rx had to be re-authorized. I found it odd, but went with it. I was told by Petco customer service that my vet hadn't faxed in the authorization, thus the delay I was encountering. In checking with my vet, I was assured (and have no reason not to believe) that my vet had done their part. It took virtually a week for the order to get filled and shipped - with no fault by my vet. I had to get an emergency refill through the vet to get by until Petco decided to ship the order. During one of many calls to Petco I asked that all meds in our file be pre-authorized to avoid this in the future. Clealy, that didn't happen.

Now I'm on my 2nd order with Petco and it's worse. They are again blaming my vet. It has been a week ago today that I placed the order and it hasn't shipped. I had to get more emergency pills from the vet for this med as well so we don't run out. They have debited my account, released the hold on my funds and again debited for the order without sending the order. Tomorrow I will call my bank and not allow any transactions with Petco. That won't be a problem for me as I will not be shopping in any of their stores. GUARANTEED!!! I will be ordering elsewhere from now on. It's simply not worth the BS that you will have to encounter. It's outrageous!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Petco sold me an old sick ferret which my vet confirmed. I fought it as long as possible but am disabled and have little money. The manager says he won't honor his pet agreement and no one called me back at all when I tried to confront them about it. They costed me 500 dollars for a vet bill and charged me 200 dollars for a ferret that died. Once again my vet verified it and I only wish I had enough resources to press further justice for Frodo. Justice for murdered pets.

Original review: March 23, 2019

i've always ordered my dogs Galliprant thru Dr Foster & Smith pharmacy and have NEVER had a problem. So when I was told they no longer handled pet prescriptions and that Petco had bought them I gave it a go. I also never received any communication regarding my pets order. I had one refill of 90 pills left but that somehow got lost!! I quickly called my Vet who told me they received the request from Petco and that they had already faxed it over. Here we are, 1 week later and NO COMMUNICATION from Petco on whether or not my order has shipped!! Petco's order page says "Still in Progress". Come on people it's been over a week!!

I've called PETCO and was on hold for 1/2 hour... Really?! Someone overseas finally picked up. They told me they were waiting on my Vet to fax over the approval. I told them my Vet had already done that and when are my meds being shipped?? She couldnt tell me. I will NEVER use this place again. IF these meds dont ship out early next week, I'm cancelling my order. What a disappointment. Petco really needs to get their act together on this one.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Order critical medication for my dog as a "refill" after forced to transfer my prescription from Drs. Foster & Smith to Petco due to take over. 10 days later still no meds, no email updates, nothing. All customer service could say was "Oh we're working on a glitch on the prescription transfer". Had zero ability to tell me when I could get an update and could not give me any assurance about delivery. All they had to do was call my vet for new RXs. WORST PET PHARMACY EVER. WILL NEVER USE AGAIN NOR WILL I EVER USE THEIR STORES.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Do not order from Petco! I ordered Bravecto for my dog, online, selecting the correct size for my dog. Got a call from my vet telling me the order was for incorrect weight. Called Petco, talked to someone who barely speaks English, cancelled the order and reordered. Days later got an email saying the second order was cancelled, the reason being that it would expire before I could use it all. Called Petco again, and was told that my vet denied the order. Cancelled that order and placed an order for a lesser amount.

After a week hearing nothing about my order, call my vet to see if order was approved, only to find out that it wasn’t even sent to the vet... and that the vet had approved the previous (larger) order! Call Petco and wait 25 minutes for an English speaking manager, who tells me that their supplier has shorter expiration dates meds, with no explanation as to why I was told (lied to) that my vet did not approve the order. I was also told by said manager NOT to call my credit card company about the charges... I did call, and was informed that Petco has charged me 4 times, with almost immediate chargebacks in the last 3 weeks... very shady... Don’t order anything from Petco... ever!! If I could give negative stars I would.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Never order from these people. Wonderful when it was Foster and Smith. Go someplace else. Your pet will never get their medicine and just don't know where you are calling. Awful awful service. Pet will probably die before you get it resolved.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I ordered a CatGenie. After waiting for 2 days to get an update I checked their website and it says "In Progress". When I reached to their customer service, which is obviously not in US, I was told, they will check "from time to time on it to see how is doing". Apparently is shipped from a third party and they have no idea about when will be shipped or anything. Not buying from their online website anymore.

Original review: March 18, 2019

For the past 3 years I used Dr. Smith and Foster for my kitty’s medications and had no problems what so ever. I went online to order refills and was surprised to see that PetCo bought S&F out, so I ordered medications for my kitty from them. Sadly, my kitty no longer needs medications so I called to cancel the order. I had an unbelievable catch 22 conversation with "Martin" (I don't believe he resides in the contiguous 48!). I was told that the order could not be canceled regardless of the reason and then he informed me out of the other side of his mouth that the Vet has not yet responded to their request. They can't send the meds out without an approval so the order hasn't even been filled... Still they can't cancel? No they can't!! "Martin", was obviously reading from a script because the next thing he said was that the vet has 14 days to approve. WHAT???

I explained AGAIN that the Vet will not approve and why. Still No! I followed up by telling him that THEY already got paid for the order... not only did PayPal debit my account, but they also paid them for the order... He denied that they'd been paid- he claimed it was a hold... not according to PayPal! I asked to speak to a supervisor... After a brief hold I was told that there wasn't a supervisor available to speak to me. Really, why was I not surprised!!! I filed a claim with PayPal. I'm hoping to get my money back!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I think the customer service at PETCO is fantastic! When my Newfoundland was in terrible pain from arthritis, we tried everything to help him. Our vet tried one medication after another, along with supplements. The poor dog was still in pain, and only 5 years old. We thought we'd have to put him to sleep, he was so miserable. I was at PETCO picking up dog food, and took a look at the joint supplement aisle. So many choices--so confusing. One of the employees asked if he could help me. I told him about our Newfie, and he went straight to the PETCO brand of Joint Formula III. I thought it was rather pricey, but the alternative was to say goodbye to a young dog.

That employee saved my dog's life! Our big boy was running and jumping like a puppy after only a week on that supplement. It bought him an additional 7 years, and as long as he had his daily dose of Joint Formula III, he was pain-free. That was several years ago, and PETCO's customer service has never wavered. They just hire really good people.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I ordered the wrong prescription size for my dog (44-88 lbs - I needed 22-44 lbs). Moments after I placed the order I was on hold for 20-30 min only to be told there is no way to cancel the order! I AM IN SHOCK! How can they not be able to switch out the same product for the correct size. Never again will I use this site.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The store was clean, great selection of products, animal habitats were clean and they all looked comfortable. Although I was there at a slow time of day the staff was helpful (with me and other customers) and I found what I was looking for easily.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I waited for 37 minutes and it appeared I reached customer service in India. She identified herself as Sandra. I informed her I waited 37 minutes on hold. She said, "I am sorry you had to wait a couple of minutes." She went over my order and said the order was split up because the closest warehouse only had one bag of the food so they would have to look for another warehouse to send the next bag. "Going forward, we will try to do our best to get both bags shipped at the same time." You have got to be kidding me. How does a corporation like this survive and not take action with the hundreds of bad reviews. BEWILDERING!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I ordered a Rx pet food from Petco online. It has been 9 days from when I placed my order and it has still not shipped. I called their service center, the agents have a poor command of the English language and seem apathetic to the situation. I always get the same response, "We just received your order and it should ship in 24-48 hours." When I ordered online I was guaranteed to receive in 2-5 business days. I would like to a) receive the order I purchased or b) receive a refund for the dog food I have yet to receive (and has not even shipped). Apparently, I can get neither. Petco has lost a customer with me. I will not go through this again and will buy from a more reliable company. I don't have the time or patience to waste hours on the phone dealing with poor, apathetic customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Someone hacked into my online Petco account and ordered a product...on repeat delivery no less. I tried the live chat and all they did was cancel the repeat delivery, not the original order! I tried live chat again and was told, rudely, that I needed to be patient. I then called customer service. What a nightmare!!! I literally waited on hold for 35 minutes!!! Finally, the call was picked up by someone who barely spoke English and said she wasn't sure if she could help me! I told her to close my account entirely for I will never shop with Petco again.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Called their customer service dept 4 times today and was in queue waiting to be helped for more than 20 minutes each time before I hung up. I need prescription medicine for my dogs. I used to order from Drs. Foster and Smith for years and ordered online all the time. The customer service was great and delivery impeccable. Now that Petco acquired Drs. F&S it’s awful. They didn’t transfer all my account information over from Drs. F&S so when I went to order online in the Petco app my vet info was missing. I tried to locate my vet using their app and it wasn’t listed. I called a week ago and gave Petco all the information to set my vet up and they told me it would be done in 48 hours. Here we are a week later and it’s still not done and I’m on my 4th call to Petco but they don’t even answer the phone. Petco you service stinks. I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have used Foster & Smith pharmacy for years. They were great and always professional. Now Petco solely handles the prescriptions and it’s been an awful experience. I cancelled my order after waiting over two weeks for insulin that use to take 48 hours to receive. I made numerous calls and emails without resolution. They have been the least helpful with terrible customer service. I will be taking my future business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I am setting up my aquarium and went in to PETCO to purchase some fish. After seeing that every fish that I did research on and wanted to purchase was not available, even though the tag and price was on the tanks. I decided to ask the employee to help me choose peaceful community fish. She suggested I start with a school of Australian Rainbow Fish and a school of Serpae Tetras. They are bullies and fin nippers! And she told me they would not get very big, well the rainbow fish will get quite large. So since this is not the type of fish that I want and that I no longer have my receipt i will have to try to figure out what to do with these fish! The employees should know what they are talking about and listen to the customers needs instead of just trying to sell their inventory! I am disgusted and will be taking my business elsewhere!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Online Orders for Prescription Dog Food: If you need to order Prescription Dog food give yourself three weeks. They very slow to confirm the Prescription then they send it the slowest type of mail. They should give you a realistic timeline when ordering.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Worst experience of my life. I've already read 10+ reviews of previous Drs. Foster and Smith customers like myself within 10 minutes of being here, so I will skip the details. I had the same terrible scripted call center experience with powerless and useless reps as everyone else. What I do want to say is do not spend another penny here!!! CHEWY.COM!!! I said screw Petco, went over to chewy.com and the script (Cat diabetes insulin script) was approved by my vet and ready to go in no time. Stop wasting your time here. Best way to send a message is with your wallet.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Horrible Customer Service!!! My son just returned from a trip to the Farmington NM Petco. We live 2 hours away in Colorado. His trip today was special for a sale price on a fish tank he has wanted for awhile. His trip today to Farmington was for this sole reason. When he went to check out the checker needed to do a price check on a decorative piece of wood for the tank. When he arrived home he was so excited to put the tank together and realized that after they did the price check they did not put the wood into his bag. After realizing the mistake we called the manager who said they could not refund us or ship it. That my son would have to drive back to the store to pick it up. We called Petco customer service and were on hold for over 20 minutes. When we did get through they said that no one was there who was authorized to help us.

Original review: March 7, 2019

On 2/15/19 I contacted Drs. Fosters letting them know I did not need my auto-ship order sent due to a move. They assured me the order would not ship. Then on 2/19 when the Petco and Drs. Fosters systems merged Petco automatically placed three separate orders for the auto-ship item that I requested not be shipped in the first place. I called them immediately and requested that they cancel those unauthorized orders and refund my money.

On 2/24 I received an email from a Petco representative assuring me the orders had been canceled. On 2/27 I inquired again to the status of my refund. I was told to be patient and wait at least 7 days. 3/7 I call Petco because no refund had been processed, and was told be patient because they just sent the cancellation request over on 3/6. 16 Days after the initial request had been made and a week after I had received a confirmation email stating the orders were indeed canceled. I was again told to be patient, and I would get my money back (for unauthorized orders) once the orders had indeed canceled. When I told the supervisor I would reach out to the company via other methods and most likely they had lost a customer I was told the other methods would not work any better than speaking to her because those other departments just report to her anyway.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was a customer of Drs. Foster and Smith for years and ordered all prescription pet meds from them. When I went to place an order, I was redirected to the Petco site. I decided to give them a try as they offered me a discount on my initial purchase. BIG MISTAKE!!! They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. They charged my bank account and never sent my dog's prescription! I made numerous attempts to investigate and each time their reps gave me the runaround. Canned and vague responses. Nobody could or would tell me when my order would be shipped. I demanded a refund and this was ignored. Finally I filed a complaint with the BBB. That is the only way these crooks will be held accountable. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PETCO!!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have spent the last week on the phone trying to resolve a prescription food order for my cat. Repeat delivery did not arrive and I was nearly out of food. I did not have an email stating why it didn’t arrive. I called and was told it was backordered and they had no idea when it would be available. I explained I needed the food and they told me I could order the larger bag for $127. I asked to speak to supervisor and was put on hold and call dropped. I called back and had to tell my story to another person and was put on hold multiple times again. Waiting for supervisor for almost 15 minutes and then told I would get a call back. I never received a call.

Next morning I decided to order the larger bag out of desperation and not being able to find the food elsewhere. I placed order and called to ask for rush on it. Put on hold multiple times and again my call dropped. I called back and was told that they could not rush it but that the order was in progress. Hours later I received email that my first order (out of stock) had shipped! I called to try and cancel my second larger order and again was put on hold multiple times. They finally told me I could not cancel but I could refuse delivery (not possible since I am at work when deliveries are made). After I explained this I was told they would contact courier to ask not to deliver. Tonight I received an email stating it is being delivered and could be stopped. I have now spent $200 on prescription cat food with this horrible company that I will never use again.

PETCO Company Information