3.40/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

771 PETCO Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Petco bought out the online pet pharmacy I used to use, they were wonderful and their turnaround was about 24 hours. Since Petco closed that pharmacy I'm stuck using petco as they are the cheapest I’ve found for my cats insulin, BUT their pharmacy is ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS! For the 2nd time I have order the insulin and waited days for the status of my order to change only to call and have them tell me my vet hasn’t approved the insulin.

I placed my order 8 days ago and have received no contact from petco that there was an issue. Both times my vet has approved it the same day I placed the order, this time around they even called me after it was approved to let me know, but petco says they didn’t. I believe my vet over petco 100%. Now my cat is completely without his insulin and it’s a holiday weekend so I’ll likely get no follow-up information for two more days. They really need to get it together, there is no reason for such terrible service given how big of a company they are.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I spoke on chat with a rep. He said that they were waiting (4 days) for my vet to get back to them. Suggested I call vet and have them send confirmation and then check back to see if they got it in 10 minutes. Vet said they did it on the day it was requested but would do it again. I got a different rep and she said she couldn't help me - they have no communication with the pharmacy and couldn't tell me if they received it and I would have to wait 24-48 hours. I said, "Ok let me cancel. My dog needs it now." (Medicine was $115). She said ok she would cancel.

I went to 1-800-PetMeds and ordered AND paid for expedited shipping and it was ready for shipping within a few hours - no problem. BUT PETCO then emailed and said they could not cancel the order as it was already being shipped. NOW I have to either return (which is a hassle because it is prescription) or keep both $115 medicines and hope they are good for my dog. No answer back from the email I sent either - NOT A GOOD PRACTICE and would never use them again for anything!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I placed an order 1 week ago for my dog’s ** and was told at the time of the order that it was in stock and would ship within 24-48 hrs. I was surprised that they had it in stock because everyone else was out of the 5mg tablets that I needed and was ordering. After REPEATED phone calls where in each call I was told that it was in stock, I finally today received an email saying that my order was suddenly cancelled. Every time I called I was told that my vet had not approved the prescription. My vet faxed the order in twice AND called it in for me because I told them Petco had not received the order. So not only did they put my vet out, they have wasted a week of me trying to find it somewhere else. I am now 1 week closer to my dog running out and not having the pills for her. I will never order from them again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Washington Blvd 21227 location. I walked into Petco 8.4.2019 specifically to schedule a bath for Butterscotch, my 3 year old orange tabby. One week prior Butterscotch was treated at his vet for fleas and to my knowledge was doing pretty good after treatment. The young ladies at the grooming counter were made aware of our situation. I was told that Adam is the only one who grooms cats and his first availability was 8.16.2019 at 5p. I informed the young lady of my commute (work, home, Petco). She stated that they had a 15min grace period, no worries. Great, appointment booked.

When the big day comes around myself and Adam, the groomer, are literally calling each other at the same time (5:02p). I immediately go into notifying him that I'm 3mins away and didn't take into consideration that Butterscotch does not like his carrier, etc. Instead of acknowledging my apology with explanation, Adam goes into how this is his last appointment and how he started not to take it when the young lady at the counter consulted him for permission. He also went on to tell me that the grooming could take 2-3hrs and they don't usually provide a grace period.

Once I pulled up to Petco (yes, I pulled up rather than parked to ensure Adam didn't throw even more of a fit) I introduced Butterscotch and all mentioned above. I finally parked only to re-enter finding Adam inspecting Butterscotch's coat. Once I approached, Adam stated that he believes Butterscotch has a skin condition. I asked what kind and he stated that he had seen it before but was not sure of the name. He was, however, sure that he would not groom Butterscotch in fear that he could make things worst. My questions and his fake answers went on for about 15-20 minutes.

A $70 vet exam later (with free bath once they heard my Petco horror story), Butterscotch was exonerated of "Dr. Adam's" false accusations. I don't even want to imagine what he would have done to my baby in my absence if services were rendered. "Treat your last like your first and your first like your last." -- the late great Notorious B.I.G.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I went to Petco in Round Lake, IL for a grooming appointment. On the way into the grooming center, my daughter fell and scraped her knee badly. The groomer took in my dogs to check them in. After repeatedly asking for a paper towel to help with my daughter's nasty scrape and the bleeding, they looked confused and gave me a used grooming towel. No I needed a clean towel. To make matters worse the grooming charges were $44.00 per dog. But they up charged $17.00 since my dog is matted. He was just groomed 6 weeks ago and any matting would be minor. They said it is extra work for us to groom a matted dog. So the grooming charge will be $70.00 for one 22 pound cockapoo and $70.00 for one 18 pound min pin terrier mix breed dog.

I declined the grooming. Petco should not be giving prices to customers only to get them into grooming and then tell the customers there are extra fees due to matting. Lastly, no one at Petco would help my daughter without speaking firmly to them. I left to go home with my daughter's scraped knee and dogs still not groomed. Not happy at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PETCO?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This was supposed to be the second in a series of autoshipments on RX dog food for my highly allergic pet. I purposely moved up the shipping date by a week to assure that the food would not be late since there was no other food he could eat and we were in a remote location and the food could not be purchased locally. Regardless, the earlier date was ignored, the written RX which they had on file from the first shipment (with unlimited refills) was misplaced by them and then only after several calls and emails by me, pleading not to let my dog go hungry, did they finally ship via ground, the slowest, cheapest method they could find, even after I offered to upgrade to overnight.

I found their customer service to be despicable, uncaring, nasty, aloof, and downright inhumane. Shame on Petco. And I'll tell you where you can shove your $20 coupon peace offering, which I never even received! Please close my accounts because I will not be calling your 800 number again and subjecting myself to your version of touchtone hell.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I've been using Petco repeat delivery for cat food for a few months. Four of the cases of food have arrived without the cans being properly packaged for shipping. The cans are severely dented with some so bad they're broken open and can't be used. I've made numerous calls to customer service and been told each time that it won't happen with the next shipment. The latest problem is receiving an email notification that my delivery is ready to ship, the company applies a pending charge to my card and the item that's suppose to ship isn't even in stock.

Once again I call the company to cancel the order given that the food isn't even available and ask them to reverse the pending charge on my account. Two days later, the order still isn't canceled and the charge hasn't been reversed. Another phone call to request the same thing, the order is finally canceled but I'm told the charge on my account won't be reversed for 5-7 days!!! Seriously???? How can this company put a charge on my account for an item that isn't in stock or shipped?? I'm done dealing with Petco, there's a huge problem with the quality of the products delivered and the customer service is appalling.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Don't go here if you have a pet with allergies. I needed to change my dog's food due to vet concerns with the food she was on, well the dog food I chose at PETCO, go figure, she was allergic to it. I had been speaking to my vet and she had told me to give the new food 2-3 weeks to level out, so that's what I did. Needless to say 2-3 weeks didn't matter, she was allergic and that was that, so I attempted to return the food.

Having returned food before at PetSmart (I went through this trying procedure once before trying to find food she wasn't allergic to) it has never been an issue not having the bag or the receipt. Let's face it 2-3 weeks go by, you've thrown the bag away because you want it in an airtight food container and I can't remember where the receipt is now. PetSmart looked up my receipt in their system one time and was able to look at purchases with the PetSmart card to verify another time (I think I need to start keeping my receipts. Haha)...I also didn't have the bag, so I brought it to them in my air tight container. PetSmart exchanged it. NO problem. PETCO on the other hand...they wouldn't do anything, they said they can't look up my receipt, can't look up my PETCO card purchases, and absolutely will not take it back without the bag.

Dog food is expensive and you guys are suppose to help pet owners support the health and well being of their animals... My girl has allergies and you guys were of no help with our issue. Having a dog with allergies issues I need a company willing to work with us, help us out, and most of all be caring and understanding. I will be shopping at PetSmart from here on out and enjoying their caring nature and superb customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I ordered 8 boxes (24 cans each) of wet cat food for my cats online. I just received my order and all 8 boxes expire in 6 days. Today is July 25 and the boxes say the can cat food will expire in July 2019. How disgusting is that. Such a big company and they send there loyal customers expired cat food. No wonder everybody is going to Chewy's and ordering all there animals food and products. Petco is offering great deals to bride there customers to purchase from them. All the brides in the world won't keep a customer if you keep sending out expired food. Shame on you!!! Chewy.com is the way to go from now on. Petco you guys got too big and don't care about your customers anymore.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I am tired of receiving email advertisements from Petco.com that feature products that when you go to the website they don’t qualify for the sale. The most recent of these was for 20% off dog food when you buy $50 or more. In the message just below the text were 5 pics of dog food bags: WholeHearted, Blue Wilderness, Royal Canin, Merrick and Taste of the Wild. So I went online and selected about $60 worth of Taste of the Wild but at check out I could not get the 20% off. Turned out Taste of the Wild was excluded from the sale. I believe this is called bait and switch. Such a waste of my time. I won’t believe their advertising again and shop elsewhere. I called the company to complain and was told I needed to talk to a certain department and the rep would have them call me. No surprise, they have not called. Obviously they don’t care.

PETCO Company Information