3.5/5 (4678 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Petco

Petco sells anything you need for your dog, cat, bird, reptile or other small pet. Products include food, treats, toys, supplies and medicine. You can purchase pet products or refill prescriptions online or at any Petco location. Veterinary and grooming services are available at select locations.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petco Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?

Original review: May 3, 2022

I have gone to this Petco on 117th in Beaverton Oregon for over 30 years for all our pets and will now never go into another Petco again unless they fire their current groomer and notify me. Dani, Petco's only groomer at this Beaverton location refused to groom my golden retriever unless I paid extra for a "de-shedding shampoo". When I responded my golden did not need that, but maybe just extra brushing, Dani responded that she would not do that because my golden may get "brush burn". She then told me to go somewhere else. I can't believe Patrick, the manager on duty backed up her treatment of a long time loyal customer. Petco needs to educate their employees on customer service. Don't waste your time here and just find another place to groom your pet.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Two weeks in a row I attempted to purchase fish for my pond at the Hanover Pa. Petco. I was told twice that they would not sell me goldfish or koi because it was too cold outside. I explained that my pond is not natural and I have it temperature regulated and the day in question my pond water was 68 degrees. They flat out refused and the store manager told me I needed to take a picture of a thermometer in the pond to prove that the water is warm enough (essentially calling me a liar). If and when a customer service representative reaches out to me I will be happy to provide proof of the water temperature (even though I shouldn't have to). I expect an apology at the very least as I should not have to be vetted this extreme to buy goldfish.

Original review: April 23, 2022

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Do not take your for for grooming at Petco 13 Mile and Orchard Lake! My beautiful 10 month old Bernedoodle was injured there last Saturday and is now on 5 different meds! Their groomers and salon manager Jennifer DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GROOM DOODLES and will charge you $149 to brush out any matting and then proceed to shave your dog down to its skin! They cut and burned both of my girl's ears, feet and neck! Shame on you Petco for not hiring professionals!

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had been a member of Petco's Pals Rewards for an entire year. I buy online and pickup at the store, due to the pandemic. First of all, the promotion to save 15% if I buy online and pick up in store is ridiculous, because I went to the aisle and looked at the price and I was literally only saving $1 - due to a yearlong "promotion" from the manufacturer that is in store only. Hmm Then, I mentioned how sad it was the prices of dog food have gotten so high... and he mentions the buy 7 bags and get 1 free deal. Well, unless he told me, I would not have seen this as it is not on the website. It is only available IN THE APP. ONLY. And needless to say, Petco would not honor the 6 large bags of dog food I had already purchased as a PALS member. Just because of an app. I remember Pet Supermarket had a similar deal but the cashiers actually mention it all the time AND no app is required. So, I'm done throwing my money away at PETCO.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I purchased defective products (aquarium bubblers) in store. I contacted Petco online and they say they will not provide any customer service online for products bought in store. Their closest store is too far to drive to exchange something. I've been a constant customer for 8 years and did not expect a company in 2022 not to provide service for their defective products.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Took me over two months to get a $71 refund. The company thought I was just going to give up and go away. Bet Petco was surprised when I didn't. On top of my refund, I got a $20 gift card. I had a $26 gift card from almost a year ago. Total that's $46. Today I went into a Petco and bought approx $40 worth of birdseed. I should still have $6 dollars on a gift card, right? I wound up PAYING $7+ (for the birdseed). Hmmm, what is wrong with that? The GOOD thing is that I don't have a pet right now. And if I ever do again. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM PETCO.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Today, I made my FOURTH attempt to cancel, repeat delivery & my entire account with Petco. They claim you can cancel at any time but despite repeated, attempts for cancellations they keep emailing and sent me a triple-sized-order after my 3rd attempt to cancel. How many times do you need to cancel online & call to cancel, repeat delivery before it actually sticks? I had to contact PayPal to assure, that Petco was no longer allowed to take money from my acc for unwanted items, that I did not order. This cannot be a mistake. I will never sign up for repeat delivery services anywhere ever again. Hopefully this 4th attempt will work as I promised to return any more unsolicited orders from Petco.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I had an appointment for full grooming/bath service for my dog at 8:30am, at the Mount Vernon NY 10550, called them telling them I was running late based on an emergency, when I got into Petco they "created" a policy and didn't take my dog in due to "too many appointments"... This policy was created by ALEX (the groomer) and his Boss Jomo **, policy that was denied by a secondary store manager who really apologized for these 2 employees' conduct. I have been with Petco for years and never ever had this horrible experience with 2 employees who think they can do whatever they want to evade work and lose a customer (of course they do not care because is not their business). In my opinion there should be employees and managers that care more about their job, very unacceptable.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I ordered a case of Merrick wet dog food from Petco on February 19th, 2022. Here it is on March 10th, 2022 and still no delivery or notification as to the status of why the delivery has been delayed. I contacted customer service and was informed they could send it out tomorrow if I wanted. I asked him what the delay was and he did not answer the question. He then offered me a $10.00 coupon for any inconvenience I may have endured. What really bugs me there was absolutely no notifications as to what the delay was. Dogs have to eat so I had to go to the store and purchase a case of the same dog food from a Petco competitor. I will not be doing business with Petco again. And offering me a lousy $10.00 coupon was an insult.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I purchased three gates and immediately put up two. Both locks had broken and the gate was unusable in just over a month. I put up the third gate thereafter, and again, a little over a month and the locking mechanism broke. The company does not have replacement parts nor do they offer exchanges or refunds after 30 days for this known problem. Petco sells the same gate under another company name of EveryYay In The Zone. It seems like a scam to me! Do not buy these gates!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I had a horrific experience with Petco this week. In good faith I ordered a special gel for my cat online (with in-store pickup). After picking it up, I realized it was the kitten formula not the cat formula so I asked the store if I could exchange it and they didn't have the cat formula so I called Petco to express my disappointment and was told I had to go to another Petco to exchange it so I did and that Petco employs a very hateful and nasty manager who refused to let me exchange the item despite the cashier confirming it was purchased the day before. The power-tripping jerk of a manager kept insisting that I provide a receipt knowing full-well online orders do not produce a printed receipt. I tried to pull up the emails on my phone and my phone was not displaying data while in their store so I asked about connectivity issues and if I should exit the store to pull up the email containing the receipt and he said no that it was my phone and everything was fine (not the case).

He took the kitten formula gel and threw it and then refused to exchange it for the cat version of the gel formula and then refused to give back the kitten formula until I had to beg him (he enjoyed every minute of this and as a minority woman I left the store in tears). I called Petco and they promised to overnight the correct formula but then never followed through and have refused to address this issue. I have asked them for a refund and am not getting one so I had to ask my bank to put the charge into dispute.

This happened because one store incompetently filled the order with kitten formula instead of the cat formula and the other store refused the exchange. A lot of my time was wasted and Petco doesn't care. What is saddest is that my beloved cat who really needed this gel is not getting it. I will never shop at Petco again. That manager has a serious attitude problem and he provoked me and kept at it until I became very upset. He treated like a criminal and humiliated me in front of his staff and other customers because he enjoyed belittling a minority woman. This nonsense needs to stop! Petco has done nothing to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I purchased a crate for my dog from Petco the last week of January 2022 in Lampasas, TX. The product had a defective door on it and I returned it to a Petco in the Houston, TX area in the first week of February 2022. This was a straight product exchange for the exact same item, not a different item. I was told that the product I was being given, once again the exact same product, was higher price and would have to pay the difference. If the product that I was receiving in exchange were different I could understand having to pay more. I find this policy to be very unethical and cheap. I want the entire world to know that this company's policies are cheap and unethical. I personally will NEVER do business with Petco again and I would hope everyone else has the same opinion.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I just wanted to thank Kayla at your Rockville store on Rockville Pike! She works in the fish department. Kayla has been very helpful in helping me set up my aquarium. She was very knowledgeable and patient with me and my purchases. Kudos for having her on your team!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

My dog had a February 5, 2022 scheduled grooming appointment at Petco on Metropolitan Ave in Forest Hills, NY. On February 4, 2022 (Approximately 9:25 am) I received a call from Jennie to cancel the appointment. The reason being was that the appointment was made online on the Petco site in my account and it was the last appointment made. Jennie stated that they booked too many large dogs and therefore my pet's appointment had to be cancelled. I explained to Jennie that the dog was in NY and I was out of state. I went on to request for her to call my daughter, who has the dog and would need to not only know but to reschedule the appointment at a time of her (my daughter's) convenience. Jennie said that she would not place the call and that it was my responsibility. I stated that since Petco was not honoring online appointments and she was able to make an appointment it would be justifiable for me to ask her to call the NY (my daughter's) number.

I explained to her that my daughter worked and I did not have access to her schedule and I was afraid to ask her to use the website since the appointments are not honored. Jennie refused after spending approximately 5 minutes on our call (time that could have been spent making a call to rearrange the appointment). After about eight minutes on the call I finally merged my daughter in. Really Petco, you inconvenienced me and did not attempt to resolve an issue created by you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I order my dog's prescription food from Petco, the food is ridiculously expensive, not Petco’s fault! First of all they have the deal of get your 7th bag for free, outstanding. Second of all the rewards, I usually get $5 off every order because her food is so expensive. Third of all the auto order deal is wonderful! I have had her food backordered a couple of times because of covid and the maker not having staff or what not. I message them in chat or call them on the phone and they are SO helpful and professional. They have had to cancel an order for me because I can’t wait the 10 days to see if the order ships. They cancel it really fast without any issues.

Then I have to call all the vets around me hoping to find my dog's food because she can’t eat any other food, ever. Again that’s not Petco’s fault. If you see your order sitting there pending just message them and ask why! If it’s because the maker has no staff, that’s out of Petco’s hands. I’m extremely impressed with Petco and appreciate them. I feel they have my pet's best interest!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

In the past 8 weeks I've made 4 online purchases. Each purchase goes through and I get a confirmation email. And then for each order about 5 days before shipment I get an email it may be delayed due to staffing and COVID, Then 3 days before shipment, I get an email they have processed my cancellation. I didn't cancel. I called them a few times and I get it's because the product is out of stock. But if you can't provide the product, note it as out of stock on your website. Today I went to the PetSmart site and they had the products in some of the local Las Vegas stores. I found a couple of stores, ordered the food for pick up and I now have it.

The PetSmart site seems to have updated product availability because at one store they said only 4 available and at other stores you could get more. It's a pain to got to multiple stores, but at least I'll know the product is there. I've crossed Petco off my stores to visit. They obviously don't care about pets as much as they say in their commercials.

Resolution response: May 14, 2022

Company solved issue to my satisfaction. Issue was result of covid, company went above and beyond.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

On Jan. 3rd I placed order for a large bag of Purina Pro Plan for my dogs. On Jan 8 I received an email that my order would be late due to high demand. On Jan 10, I received an email that my order was cancelled, no reason given. Yet they still charged my credit card. Will never again order through Petco, will stick to Chewy.com.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Absolutely horrendous experience with Petco. I placed an order of canned cat food in December. Order got canceled. I spent an hour on the phone with a supervisor. I had her place an order for me online to make sure the item was available and the order got through. I waited for another week and found out that was back ordered too. So I bought a different brand and apparently that was back ordered too. It's been 2 weeks and my cat still doesn't have canned food.

It's an incredibly frustrating experience each time talking with Petco trying to resolve the issue. Just got off the phone with Lorna, who repeated herself like a broken record "item was back ordered, no supervisor available, please have the expectation that there's nothing else we can do." I used to be a loyal customer to Petco. This is the first time I've had an issue with my order and this is the kind of treatment I get as a customer. You can be sure this is the last time I'm dealing with Petco.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

After trying the different dog foods on the market, we found that Royal Canin Adult dog food was the perfect choice for our 10 yr old Chihuahua Lucy. Thanks to Petco and their wide variety of different brands.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Do NOT bring your dog here for grooming, they will hurt your dog without letting you know about it!!! I have to say this particular Petco store has the worst customer and pet grooming service EVER!!! I made an online appointment for my dog for a full bath and hair cut service on 10/2 and when I went in that day, they said they couldn’t see it on the system, I even showed them my confirmation text message that has the time and date on it, their reply was, "We are too busy today," and send me home. The lady said, "You can come back tomorrow." Well, I don’t have a choice at that time so when went home, what a waste of my time. By the way, every staff at this petco store (coralville, IA) were mean, you can tell none of them really love animals and they all seems like they hated their job.

Anyway, I showed up the next day and gave my dog to them for the grooming service. When everything is done, when I ready to pay at the check out, the person even asked me for tips. Wow, that’s professional!!! I asked the groomer is everything ok? She said yea, everything is good. When I took my dog home, I realized there’s a huge deep cut right at her stomach and she is bleeding badly. I was so piss and I couldn’t believe they didn’t say anything. When I called the store, no one answer the phone and I don’t even have the option to leave a message. So, I called their hotline and they said their manager will give me a call back tomorrow morning because there is nothing that they can do now!! Anyway, pictures speak louder than words, you guys just take a look at those pictures. This is horrible, my dog is just an imperial Shih tzu which only weighs 5 pounds and now she is still bleeding and in a lot of pain!!! Do not bring your dog here, they don’t care about your dog.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I placed an order for puppy food and puppy training pads on September 8 at 12:27 pm for same-day delivery. I received an email at 3:55 pm stating the order is on the way. At 5:15 pm I received an email stating my order was canceled. I contacted customer service to see why my order was canceled, the customer service rep said the order was canceled because of technical difficulties. I asked to speak to a supervisor to see if the order could be replaced because I had the COVID-19 virus and was unable to go to the store to pick items up. The rep refused to let me speak to a supervisor. She stated the order had already been canceled and I would receive a refund in 2-3 business days.

On September 14, 2021, I still have not received my refund. I call customer service back to find out the order status was still out for delivery 6 days later and no refund had been processed. Now I'm told I have to wait another 2-3 business days to receive my refund. Horrible same-day delivery service and customer service is just as bad. I will not be doing business with this company again. Petco why do you offer services your company can't do. The hold process was a complete fail.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

If you are expecting your order to be delivered same day or next day, as promised on-screen per item and promised again at checkout, you are being duped. Kitty cat was going in for surgery Wed, so placed “next day” order on Tues so we’d have by the time she came home. Not only was order NOT DELIVERED next day, but 3 days later it’s still not here —in fact, it has NOT EVEN SHIPPED YET!!!! Four days later and my items are still sitting in the warehouse. To top it off Petco is REFUSING TO CANCEL THE ORDER, telling me I can take it all to a store near me, once they do deliver, to get a refund. No, I can’t… I am disabled with a 5lb lifting limit; that is why I buy online and have it delivered. So, I will simply file a dispute with my credit card co so that payment is not released, seeing as how my order has not even shipped yet.

Will now place this same order with AMAZON, knowing I’ll at least receive my order by the date promised. (Only chose Petco as they promised NEXT DAY delivery on those items vs 2-days thru Amazon.) This happened once before with Petco, but it will never happen again; they admittedly have no control over the shipping process. And due to their refusal to help (twice) when order screw-ups were their fault, I will never shop with Petco again. Many other choices out there — many who actually appreciate their customers and honor their commitments.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Petco, Warren Rd., Westland, MI Location! This used to be our go-to place for our furbabies...NOT anymore! Every time we had our dog get a nail trim...it was an okay job and they were always great at fitting us in. With Covid19 it takes forever to get into the vet for anything, little lone, a nail trim...so Petco worked in a pinch. The reason it was an okay job was because after the nail trim there was an unfinished stray piece of hangnail or sharp edges left behind or and nails uneven. It was frustrating but after a walk or two the nails filed down. I decided this last time to ask for a trim plus the file to prevent this problem. BIG MISTAKE! The result was much worse!

We felt terrible as we trusted Petco and had lots of errands to run...we drove around with our furbaby in the back seat noticing him licking a paw then pulled over to find blood all over our back seat!!! I called Petco (we were already driving right back there) and reported our poor furbaby was bleeding from the quick! I let them know we were heading back so they could see and apply a powder to stop the bleeding. When I entered they ignored us and after a few minutes acknowledged us saying..."be with ya in a minute."

To which I replied, "He's bleeding and I just spoke to you...he needs help!" After another few minutes, she called another groomer to the counter..."Ya wanna take care of this?" Our furbaby was petrified! The groomer tending to the wound blamed it all on our furbaby saying, "He's a puller! That's why this happened!" Furious, I explained we've been bringing our furbabies here over the last 2 decades and NEVER had this happen with a nail trim...however, we never had the upgraded ($5 more) nail service before! SO BEYOND UPSET!!!! NEVER EVER WILL BE BACK and We will follow up with Petco's Corporate Office and the BBB!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

The title pretty much sums it up, as a pet store Petco is the worst possible option. The employees rarely have even a basic level of knowledge of animal caretaking needs, and the animals in the store are kept in terrible conditions. They are also bad about where they get their animals. Some of the things that they are known to do:

-Inject glass fish with dyes to make them more colorful (this usually kills them a few weeks after you buy them).
-Keeping reptiles in improper conditions that result in sickness/death.
-Importing wild caught animals that are sickly and ill suited to being pets.

-The mammals such as the puppies are often sourced from puppy mills (or equivalent), horrible facilities with incredibly high death rates.

If you want a pet, do not get them from petco, supporting them only leads to them continuing to abuse animals. I would suggest instead finding a smaller local pet store, or smalltime breeder. They are one of the worst companies around, and unless customers stop buying from them they won't bother to stop mistreating/killing animals.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I put an order at Petco.com and after I hit submit button, I realized that I send it to my old address. I immediately contacted a representative through the chat and was told that they can't do anything about that. They can't change the shipping address nor they can cancel the order. I called the 888 phone number and was told to wait when the order ships and then call them back so that they can try and "catch the package with the carrier and send it to the warehouse". WHAT???? It is absolutely ridiculous and I will never be back to Petco, online or physical store. There are better places to shop for your furry friends.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Paid for dog training and got product and nutritional information. Why is the dog not being trained? If I wanted product and food facts I'd ask a sales person to do their job and ask for help. I was paying Cheri to train my dog and do her job.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I can’t believe Petco store in Easton PA 18045 associates doing poor services to the customer. You contact customer services and managers never respond complaints or phone calls. Been waiting for 96 hours waiting return call never happen.

Original review: June 20, 2021

PetCo advertised online at one price, says you can buy online or order at the store, and then, when you get to the store it's a higher price. Item I bought (dog ear med) cost $9.99 online and I was told it was available at the PetCo I go to. When I went to the store to pick up, it was $17.99. Gave me a bunch of baloney about stores not having to give you the website cost etc. Items in PetCo stores are routinely overpriced in the first place. Boycott Petco. And don't believe the bull about how much they care for your pet---they care only for high profits.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Somehow they did not get a fax to my vet to approve my order. Vet finally called and approved the order. They still did not fill the order. No one was able to help straighten out the problem. Finally ordered elsewhere.

Original review: May 22, 2021

My experience the several times going into Petco has been the best working with Gary (cashier). He is a kind soul and a ray of sunshine. He makes my day as I shop for items for my puppy. Very helpful and pleasant to speak to. I hope Gary works here forever and gets a BIG raise! The grooming department can use some improvement with time management and communication with their clients on what is available. Also, reaching out to pet owners if something can't be done.

Petco Company Information