Find a Pet Stores partner

3. Pet Stores

3.9/5 (1912 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Petco

Petco sells anything you need for your dog, cat, bird, reptile or other small pet. Products include food, treats, toys, supplies and medicine. You can purchase pet products or refill prescriptions online or at any Petco location. Veterinary and grooming services are available at select locations.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petco Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petco?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I put an order at Petco.com and after I hit submit button, I realized that I send it to my old address. I immediately contacted a representative through the chat and was told that they can't do anything about that. They can't change the shipping address nor they can cancel the order. I called the 888 phone number and was told to wait when the order ships and then call them back so that they can try and "catch the package with the carrier and send it to the warehouse". WHAT???? It is absolutely ridiculous and I will never be back to Petco, online or physical store. There are better places to shop for your furry friends.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Paid for dog training and got product and nutritional information. Why is the dog not being trained? If I wanted product and food facts I'd ask a sales person to do their job and ask for help. I was paying Cheri to train my dog and do her job.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I can’t believe Petco store in Easton PA 18045 associates doing poor services to the customer. You contact customer services and managers never respond complaints or phone calls. Been waiting for 96 hours waiting return call never happen.

Original review: June 20, 2021

PetCo advertised online at one price, says you can buy online or order at the store, and then, when you get to the store it's a higher price. Item I bought (dog ear med) cost $9.99 online and I was told it was available at the PetCo I go to. When I went to the store to pick up, it was $17.99. Gave me a bunch of baloney about stores not having to give you the website cost etc. Items in PetCo stores are routinely overpriced in the first place. Boycott Petco. And don't believe the bull about how much they care for your pet---they care only for high profits.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Somehow they did not get a fax to my vet to approve my order. Vet finally called and approved the order. They still did not fill the order. No one was able to help straighten out the problem. Finally ordered elsewhere.

Original review: May 22, 2021

My experience the several times going into Petco has been the best working with Gary (cashier). He is a kind soul and a ray of sunshine. He makes my day as I shop for items for my puppy. Very helpful and pleasant to speak to. I hope Gary works here forever and gets a BIG raise! The grooming department can use some improvement with time management and communication with their clients on what is available. Also, reaching out to pet owners if something can't be done.

Original review: May 11, 2021

We have been faithful customers of Petco repeat delivery program for over 5 years! For the last 2 months they have chosen to cancel our order in favor of sending our bags of food to new customers. No doubt in hopes of snaring new fools to replace those of us who have wised up about their repugnant marketing strategy. But read more, their quality control is horrible. The smell differs from bag to bag with some having a distinctly rancid odor. And God help you if you try to work with what passes for customer service. They couldn't give you an honest answer if they wanted to, and they don't want to!

Original review: May 10, 2021

Customer services is out of the Phillippines – Coward management in California. Customer service verifies there is no corporate contact, yet corporate employees receive a paycheck – for what? Zero customer care – no follow up with customer concerns. Would not ever admit to working with this so-called company. Seems this company is merely a warehouse, so best of luck with any if any educational assistance. You’ve been warned. However, continue to engage in closing this company.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I have been a regular customer for over 20 years. Well, I was a customer for over 20 years. Two weeks ago I purchased prescription dog food online. At the time of my purchase, items were in stock. After nearly a week, I received an email saying they were having trouble contacting my vet for approval. I emailed a screenshot of my dog's medications with the dog food on the list and I reached out to my vet personally. My vet said that they didn’t receive ANY communication from Petco at all.

When Petco finally did ship my order, they only shipped half of it and needed 10 days to find the other half. I find it unacceptable to wait 3 weeks for an order. I would have ordered it from somewhere else if I knew it would take 3 weeks. Their customer service was less than helpful. Sometimes the same apology Over and over doesn’t in fact make it better. I told them to cancel my order, but of course now I have to go to the store to return the half that shipped this morning. The inconveniences of making calls to the vet, emailing documentation, all the time on the phone with “customer service”, and now returning the half to the store added up. It didn’t have to be this way. They won’t be getting my business anymore.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Needed clear aquarium sealant and checked the Petco website to see if they had it in stock, yes for pickup today. Once there I couldn't find any. Asked for help and the manager pointed to black sealant, said that's all they have and left. Tried to get her to check on the exact item I wanted but she wouldn't. I tried to explain the website shows it is in stock but she said that is online not the store. I showed her the website has it as in store pick up today but she again said that is only if I order it. I asked what if I order now? She said then we would go to the stockroom pick it and email when it is ready. OK but why can't you just go pick it now? She said because they don't have any. If she wasn't so rude about it I would have thought maybe she is playing a joke on me. I left without the sealant. So much for trying to support local stores.

Original review: March 28, 2021

My cat loves to go outdoors. This Harness and Leash makes it easy for both of us to sit on our porch or patio without fear. It took some work to figure out the perfect one for her with the ease of getting on and off her by me. The team at the Frankfort, Kentucky store always has the answers. I trust them and enjoy being helped by a team that makes you feel so welcome. Thank You, Elizabeth, Alison and Motley. You know they say three heads are better than one and I agree. Keep working as a Team and I will always look forward to coming to you for answers. Diana

Original review: March 9, 2021

My cat was prescribed a certain food that Petco carries. While attempting to verify the prescription, I asked my veterinarian why they hadn't responded to the confirmation request. My vet said they would only respond directly to certain sellers and provided me with a written prescription. I contacted Petco via the online chat and was instructed to scan and submit the prescription form and order number to their intake email address (PetcoVetDiets at petco.com) and it would clear the issue (needing a prescription). Fast forward to today when I receive a notice from PetcoVetDiets that my order has been canceled. I guess I'll have to re-order through a supplier my vet supports, or at least pays attention to the emails their customers send. Not Happy! :(

Original review: March 7, 2021

Today I had the worst experience ever with Petco in Vallejo California. I had scheduled a grooming of my dog. At the time of scheduling my appointment I was very clear that the vaccination certificate (in English) was from a Costa Rican vet, but that I also had the label from the vaccine bottle as required to come back into the USA with your pet. I was told, "No worries. We have someone who speaks Spanish" (not that you need someone to speak in Spanish), it’s all dates, lot numbers and the title of manufacturer.

The women who reviewed my documents; first said this is not a Rabies Vaccine, I showed her the label, which matched the Rabies Certificate, then she said she doesn’t read Spanish not that there was anything other than the vet's name in Spanish, plus if you don’t read Spanish then why are you saying there is no Rabies Vaccine? The label clearly says Rabia (ok that’s Spanish) so let’s google it. Then she tells me we don’t accept anything that is hand written.... ok the label is not hand written and Rabies Certificate is not hand written. Listen I get it.... Some people attitude about being in the USA and it being an English speaking country.... but come on the virus is in Latin and it’s the same in any country.

It was clear to me that I was dealing with someone who either woke up in a bad mood, or just doesn’t like Spanish speaking people/documents. She then tells me I needed to have it translated.... so does this mean I can go home and type it out in English not that anyone could not figure it out on their own.... with just a little common sense or I am sorry maybe we can Google the label and see what comes up.... I invite anyone to do this based on the labels (Biocan LR) if you don’t want to I included a picture of what it is from their website which is in English and a European Company. NOPE she was not having it, not going to look up anything and not going to read the labels. Despite all I did in advance I was treated like **.... even the customer behind me was shocked by this.

Soooo I guess this is one of several things.... don’t go there and let them know you speak Spanish, or your documents from another country won’t work despite it being required by the USDA and acceptable to our government or it’s perfectly ok for someone in a bad mood to just be rude and awful.... I plan on calling their corporate office to discuss. This could have been easily fixed and resolved in 3 minutes but her attitude was NO WAY is she going to look anything up.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I placed an order for a prescription, and Pecto repeatedly provided incorrect information. After 4 phone calls, each time getting contradictory information, I finally was able to speak to a "premier team member". I was never allowed to speak to a supervisor. Each call was at least 40 minutes. I will NEVER order again from them. I would advise using another company. If you do have to call customer service, skip the front line person, they are useless, but be prepared for a LONG wait.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I ordered antibiotics for my cat & paid $20 for 2 day shipping but didn't receive the order for 6 days. They don't tell you that they allow themselves a 48 hour processing period & weekends aren't included in shipping days. Customer service is outsourced. Some of the people speak ok English. Some don't & have no clue how to do their job.

I called to see what was taking so long & was put on hold repeatedly & for so long they were forcing me to hang up. I was finally offered a refund for the shipping but I never received the refund & when I called back there was no record of that conversation. They'll say whatever they think you want to hear & take your money with no guarantee of getting what you pay for & you can't DO anything about it. Very unethical. Very unreliable. Shop elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

DOCUMENTING: Petco on HK Dodgen/ Loop 363 Temple, TX. January 30, 2021. 2:30pm. Grooming Dept. I took my two Chihuahuas to have nail trims. A client with big dog that had just been groomed was exiting. That dog's fur was all over the floor and the one main gurney. Three young women are working the grooming area. The one sitting at the computer check-in counter asked for my phone number to look up my account. I gave it but said, "I'm not sure I'm going to do this today--a nail trim. Are you all going to clean up all that fur, at least clean it off the gurney?" She said, "Oh, yes. We will clean it up." (They never did while I was having nails trimmed on my two small dogs. The entire floor area and that main gurney remained dirty with much fur debris.)

A young woman with yellow-blonde hair came from behind the counter to the tiny ante-room area and asked, "Which one first?" I asked if we could do my 9-year-old Chihuahua first because the longer he has to wait at a vet clinic or grooming place, his blood pressure shoots up, and the whites of his eyes turn red. I also said that the last time I had brought him in, even though it may be against protocol, I was allowed to hold him with all 4 legs facing the groomer, and that made it easier on him while having his nails clipped. I asked if they would allow me to do that again. No response from any of the three employees.

The young woman (with yellow-blonde hair) took my older dog's left hind leg and started with the outermost nail. My little dog gave a long scream of pain and struggled to get away from the woman, who had let go of his leg. I asked her what happened. No response. After I had given him a few seconds of a breather, I said to this employee, "Okay, let's try it again." After she finished each leg, I said, "Let's give him a few seconds to breathe and re-calm himself." But then, I noticed fresh blood on my left hand. I showed the employee and asked what had caused that. No response. Blank facial expression. Then, I noticed blood up and down my left long sleeve. I showed her and said that he must be bleeding. I asked her to help me look at his feet. No response, verbal or action, on her part.

I told her more emphatically, "Help me find where he's bleeding." As I tried to spread his toes apart, she did finally look more closely with me. The blood was between two nails and toe-pads. Wordlessly, she went to get the yellow powder to apply to stop the bleeding. I asked her what happened. No response. I asked again, immediately, "Did you slip the clipper underneath that particular nail and maybe, accidentally, cut some of his pad?" She finally spoke: "That nail was embedded in the pad." Incredulous that would have been the case, since I had last brought him in for a nail trim in either late November or early December (and knowing that I would NEVER let my dogs's nails get so long as to become embedded in their pads), I said, "What?!" She repeated her statement.

Meanwhile, more incredulously of me, I handed over my 2-year-old Chihuahua and picked up my paperwork to go out into the store to pay my $21.65 bill. I had my older dog with me. Writing my check, I told the clerk that I was shaking badly, showed her all the blood on my long sleeve, was upset, and wanted to speak with a manager.

The clerk called another woman to speak with me. We moved to the back of the store where she gave me a chair to sit. I told of what had just transpired. I told her that the blonde employee stayed mostly silent and unresponsive to me, giving me passive blank looks. I said, "Maybe she didn't verbalize anything with me for fear of a lawsuit." I assured that would not be my intent.

The woman said, "Yes, we do have liability issues." This woman kept repeating that since she wasn't present, she's not sure of what happened. I asked her if she would please go get my other dog so that I, with my older dog, would not have to go back in there to the grooming area. She left to go do that, saying also that she needed to talk with them about what had happened.

She returns without my other little dog. I ask where is my younger dog. This woman says she's fine, someone will be bringing her out to me. Then, she says they don't want me to bring my dogs back here for nail trims and that they request that I take my dogs only to a vet for nail trims...take them somewhere "official" so that if something happens, the dogs can be treated there.

I said, "So you are asking me not to come back? ...well, I wasn't planning on ever bringing them here again. What did the blonde woman tell you happened?" This woman said, "She just cut the nerve because the nail was long and thus, the nerve had grown longer." I replied, "Well, she's giving now a different explanation. The one she gave me is of a more serious nature because it would mean that I have been so negligent as to have allowed one or more nails to become embedded in the dog's pads."

Then, I told her I wanted to give an additional customer comment, feedback, about how filthy with fur debris the grooming area is. I said that earlier I had asked if at least the gurney would be cleaned, was told yes, but they didn't clean it. I asked this woman, "Shouldn't a gurney at least be cleaned before setting a new dog up on it?"

This woman told me that she didn't know; she asked a nearby female employee who said 'yes.' I then asked the woman with whom I had been speaking, "Wouldn't you know that, as the manager?" She answered, "Yes, they are supposed to clean between each pet." I asked, "What position are you? What is your position, your job title?" She told me something about 'merchandise services.' I said, "Well, I had asked to speak with a manager. How may I do that?" She told me his name is Scott and that he wouldn't be in the store until mid-week."

As I'm leaving, the young woman at the cash register tells me cheerily, "Have a nice day!" I showed her my bloody sleeve again and said, "Not so nice, do you think? And now, I've been asked not to bring my dogs in here again to the grooming area--as if I would have even considered doing that after my dog screamed in pain, was bleeding, and I got no 'I'm sorry' or anything resembling an apology."

To be clear, my little dogs have had to suffer occasionally a nerve being cut and therefore, bleeding. That, unfortunately, can happen even with a conscientious and kind and gentle groomer who trims pet nails. My major complaints today are about everything else...no verbal or non-verbal responses when I spoke to or asked questions of the groomer; no responses from the other two women working in that area; unattended fur debris on the floor and gurney with no effort to clean up the mess before putting either of my dogs on the gurney; telling me a nail was embedded in the pad and giving a different explanation later; no kind attitude shown toward my older dog after the incident; nothing resembling being sorry for the incident from either the three grooming-area employees or from the so-called supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Placed an online order. Went to return it in the store. Currently they are not accepting returns under the umbrella of COVID. I am all for keeping the public and employees safe. I asked about a free return label. In store and on the phone I am told they are offering it. When I called to process the return today, I have spent 90 minutes on the phone, have been disconnected 5 times and denied access to a supervisor. They tell me this is not the case so I should just hold the products until they accept in store returns. In the meantime, I have products that are of no use to me and they have my PALS rewards and my money. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Even worse, I posted this on their Facebook page and while the response was prompt I am simply told what the script they read from dictates...Hold the product until the in store ban is lifted. What is wrong with this picture?! While Petco may be where the pets go, the point corporate is missing is that the pets don't take themselves there and discounting the value of the owners results in lost revenue.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I went to the Greeley Colorado store yesterday with my husband to get supplies for our animals. We were in the store for a good hour and our basket full of stuff. We was helped by the girl in aquatics and one of the salon ladies. I was rudely approached by Darin that I needed to leave the store because I had no mask on. I tried to explain to him that I cannot wear the mask cause of my medical condition and it restricts my breathing. He would not listen to me and pretty much told me to leave rudely.

There was other customers in the store that had no masks on and he did not address them. Not only that the two employees who were very nice DID NOT tell me to put on a mask. He rudely pulled the aquatics girl to the side a jumped on her for not kicking me out for not wearing a mask. Again there was other customers with NO MASKS in the store and he did not address them. The managers in this store are very rude and unprofessional. They get no stars!!!! This store needs help and better management.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I took my dog (labradoodle) for a grooming appointment in Clark, NJ. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the name of the previous groomer so I selected any stylist and got Xio. This was the worst mistake I made. This individual had a terrible attitude from the beginning and dismissed my requests of a 5f for the body and the face to be shaped roux. Also, my dog who is usually friendly and loves getting groomed & baths was scared of her. When we picked him up, my dog had a 7f in the body, his face was completely shaved and she cut him inside the ear. I do not recommend this groomer, she is Is not patient or professional. Her intentions are not the best with the dogs and my dog is now afraid of even getting brushed! She is evil.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I had autoship set up for my kitten. On 12/20/2020 - funds were taken from my bank. This indicated that it had shipped. It had not shipped. It had not shipped 3 days later when checked. It's on a perpetual "pending" but monies have been taken. I called today to cancel the shipment and to cancel autoship. I was told that I CAN NOT cancel even though it has never shipped. Now, I have to wait when/if I ever get this phantom shipment. Then I have to return the shipment. Eventually, I will get a refund. This will take a very long time and is very unfair to the consumer. I am disgusted by this behavior. This is deceptive trade practices. They are hoping that I will get exhausted and disappear. I will not. I am very disappointed and angry with Petco. I work with rescues, I will make sure to tell everyone I can about Petco's deceptive business practices.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Petco runs these great specials but it's hard to take advantage of them when they are ALWAYS out of stock or so low on stock you cannot order online for pickup. I have been trying for over a month now to order Applaws 5.5oz cans, different varieties, and it's NEVER in stock. And this is a recurring problem. It's so frustrating to not be able to take advantage of the specials and discounts considering I feed > 30 cats. I have had to resort to Petsmart for what I need, paying higher prices. I just can't count on Petco anymore. I've been a customer of theirs for well over 10 years!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I purchased an item and the item was never delivered. I have made six phone calls, spoken with six different supervisors, been assured by all of them that my refund was in process; and yet here I am on hold once again going on an hour still no refund still not resolved. This is been going on for almost 2 months. Never ever ever will I shop at this store again. They have my money they have the merchandise I have nothing. They say over and over again this is how our process works. It’s a great process. They don’t have to give up any inventory and they get your money. Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I gave up another well known company when I found Petco and, I'm glad I did. The staff as well as the managers are extremely polite, nice and very helpful. They take the time 2 answer your questions and are never too busy to explain to you the nature of your question. They don't rush you. Vicki, Athena, Maureen, Nicki, Gabby, Carley, and Emily as well as ones I may not have mentioned, have the best personalities and are great at their job. They know the answers to your questions as well as giving you more info along with it. Petco in Brooklawn is a terrific store with a staff that knows what you as well as your pet needs. A very clean environment, and well managed store with a knowledgeable staff. Great prices great staff, couldn't ask for better!!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Online order placed 12/02/20 for treats, supplements & prescription food. Same items ordered in August w/ minimal problems. All items showed as in stock, payment was accepted, & delivery dates were provided. Emails arrived from Petco and Paypal confirming purchase. Then, nothing. Email received on 12/05 with all items now "pending." Called customer support. 1st agent disconnected me while looking up order. 2nd agent gave song & dance about ALL items being backordered, Petco having difficulty getting dog food shipments, & offered to cancel order. That's BS, IMHO. No reputable retailer is that incompetent with their supply chain & customer communications. Perhaps Petco is trying to inflate their sales #s prior to filing an IPO? Customer retention is going to plummet!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Petco refuses to price match PetSmart despite this stated policy: "We're committed to providing the highest quality products at the best prices. If you find a lower price for an identical item at any competitor's store, we'll gladly match it." Consumer fraud? Yep, pretty much. Instead, it's full of loopholes. Congrats, PetCo, you lost me for life because you can't be truthful with the customers like me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PETCO What an amazing company. I have shopped at PetCo for many years at many locations and always found the employees very helpful and pleasant. My most recent interaction was beyond good customer service. I sent PetCo an email letting them know my pet had died and could they please remove me from their mailing list as it made me sad every time they sent me a new advertisement.

First they sent me this nice note back: "We are so sorry to hear about your loss, and our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. We completed your unsubscribe request, and you will stop receiving all non-transactional emails within 48 – 72 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience the email caused. Thank you again for being part of the Petco family and giving us the opportunity to address your request." Then they sent me flowers! Unbelievably kind and thoughtful from such a large company.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I attempted to place an order on petco.com for store pick up. All of the items that I selected were listed as available while I was shopping but when I went to check out I received an error message stating that my items exceeded the store inventory. For over an hour I tried unsuccessfully to rearrange the amounts to allow me to complete the transaction so I decided to call customer service for help.

The first rep I spoke to was unable or unwilling to investigate the true amounts of the store inventory so that I could complete my order so I asked to speak to a manager. I was placed on hold for over 15 minutes and during that time I tried yet again to alter the quantities of my items and realized that he had locked me out of my account.

I hung up and dialed again, hoping to speak to a different agent. When I was connected I asked to speak directly to a manager. The rep was dismissive and refused to connect me to her supervisor stating that there was no manager on site. I found that odd since I had been placed on hold for so long just moments prior to calling back. The whole experience was appalling and they did absolutely nothing to resolve my issue. I will not be shopping on their website anymore. I would give petco.com zero stars if I could.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

An employee refused to sell me an inch long feeder gold fish because she felt the size of my fish tank would not be ethically appropriate once the fish had grown larger. I was also told that I would need to prove that I was putting the fish in a tank that the employees deemed to be ethically safe for the 20 cent feeder fish's long term well-being. The long term promise to size up the tank with the fish's needs was also not a valid form of proof.

I was not offered an application of adoption for this feeder fish with a spot for a signature and my address or a background check, so I'm not entirely sure how they gauge proof of my ability to care for a feeder fish. I feel as though this employee refused to do business because she didn't like me as there is no actual process for fish adoptions or legal process to verify that my home is safe enough to house an inch long feeder fish or that I had the resources to continue appropriate care long term. I don't believe a credible business would let employees refuse to sell its products at their own discretion based on personal opinions or belief systems so I am insulted and confused. I will not be supporting this business any longer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Petco tries to be in competition with Chewy. So they say when you are viewing the website for pet food that you will receive your order within 2-3 days. Order placed on 9/27/20. Hit submit. Then it says 3 to 5 days. Confirmation email said I would get it on 10/2/20. Now Petco says it is out for delivery today 10/2/20 but tracking says maybe 10/5/20. This is my second and last experience with PETCO. Even the stores. To me this is a dishonest company. My pet deserves better. Tidbit. First order we refused since it was 2 weeks late for a dog ramp.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I bought dog food online and was promised a Monday delivery. When the order was shipped, they notified me that it would not get to me till Friday. How can there be that much disparity? I am refusing the order when it comes and getting it somewhere else. Please avoid them, at all costs!

Petco Company Information