2.04/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

523 Ol Roy Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Gave the Ol Roy jerky sticks to my dog today and it got stuck in his throat. It was awful. He couldn't breathe. There was foam and blood everywhere... At last when he was almost dying I was able to get it out... But it really scared me to be soo close to lose him. These should not be sold.... Please do not buy these for your dogs if you want to keep them alive for a long time...

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I gave my 15 year old lab Ol Roy Rawhide sticks from Walmart. He chewed & ate it but got stuck in his throat. He was gasping & trying to throw it back up but could not. I took him as fast as I could to my Vet. He was unconscious when I got him there. His lips were blue. The Vet took him & tried to give him Oxygen but it was too late! Warning don't give your dog Rawhide Sticks from Ol' Roy. There should be a Class Action Law Suit for selling these. It cost me $ 350.00 Dollars. Now my best Friend is dead!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2018

We have been purchasing Ol' Roy Bark'n Bac'n Dog Treats for several years. However the last bag we purchased he was throwing up. Tonight it was VERY SEVERE. He pooped all over the place and vomited really strange puke. This was the last thing we fed him as a snack yesterday afternoon 7/19/2018. THE LOT NUMBER IS 8 12 C2 OKM 01 23:17. It is now 1:15 AM 7/20/2018 as we spent over an hour cleaning up the mess and are very concerned of our little guy, Buddy. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. We checked to see if he possibly had eaten anything in the kitchen, i.e. the trash, and everything was undisturbed.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Fed my 3 dogs a Ol Roy treat from a new box, all 3 got sick, 3 days later one of my dogs died at a ER. A small amount of vomit toxins found after doing my own private testing. If you think of your pet as a family member DO NOT BUY OL ROY. This is my precious, loving, wonderful dog who is gone because of this food.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We bought a bag of Ol' Roy on Saturday, June 23rd, at the Belle Isle Walmart in Oklahoma City, Ok. I fed my 4 dogs their required amount Saturday evening and again on Sunday morning. I allot an amount of time for them to eat and if they're not done or don't eat it all, I'll put the food up. Yesterday morning, I saw movement in the food. As in "mealybugs." I called Walmart Corporate in Bentonville and began explaining the situation. The 1st young man was very polite and transferred me to the "Ol' Roy Division" and I spoke with a young lady who didn't seem to be alarmed or concerned.

I asked for the manufacturer's name, to which she stated that they're unable to give that information. Walmart's solution: $20 gift card. I then loaded up my dog food container, the Ol' Roy bag, my trash bag with the mealybug food, a baggie showing the mealybug food and took it to the actual store. I spoke with a MOD, she sent me to customer service and I then explained the situation again. The young ladies were accommodating and gave me suggestions for treating my dogs. I'm an animal lover, as I'm sure some of you are, so the callousness of the Walmart/Ol' Roy division is alarming.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I own a 6 yr old German Shepherd and he has eaten Ol Roy complete nutrition dry food since he was a puppy. Where we live is a pretty rural area so I purchase the 50 lb bags and store it in a 5 gallon container, this lasts us for approx. 2 months, saves on trips to store. It was 4 months ago February 2018 that I noticed when I opened the bag to mix with the little bit of remaining food we had, that the bits were a different color (like they changed the formula or ingredients). The bag was the same, everything on it was the same except the coloring. He ate it with no problems, was still happy go-lucky and energetic. I bought another in April 2018, he had no problems. I just purchased a bag on Thursday, June 14, 2018. He ate a bowl that night, he was fine. Seemed the normal self.

Next morning when my daughter got up to let him out of his room he wasn't quite himself, we could tell from looking at him that he wasn't feeling good, I automatically assumed he had gotten into the trash but he didn't. We have the trash can with the floppy lid and keep lid facing a corner so he can't nose it open. My kids are out of school so they are home while I work. When I came home from work on Friday I knew he was sick because he's a momma's boy and I didn't get greeted at the door, when I was making dinner he wasn't standing next to me like usual, didn't touch his food all day and didn't drink any water. He looked and seemed lethargic to me, was very slow in getting up, slow getting up and down steps, and would just lay on floor dozing on and off.

Saturday June 16th my daughter called me at work at approximately 2 pm to let me know that he still had not eaten anything nor drank any water, it had been 24 hrs now, so I called vets office to find they were closed and to call vet in next county which is 45 minutes away. After 5 minutes of searching I found one veterinary office local that was open, made appt and brought him in. After initial exam, rectal exam, and blood work, white blood cells showed infection. My poor buddy was diagnosed with either beginning of pancreatitis or vet said it could be start of liver failure. He is currently on 3 medications and slowly improving.

They suggested and I purchased 2 cans of Purina EN critical care wet food. I mixed some of it whir his dry Ol Roy food and he ate most of it, he was walking and losing his balance but not falling. He has not touched his food at all today and after dishing out almost $500 in vet bills so far and seeing all the reviews on here, I have officially decided never to purchase any type of Ol Roy dog food products again and if it's the food that had something wrong with it I will gladly send a written testimony into the courts, as a matter of fact I have a whole 5 gal pail of it. I'm going to find a laboratory to test it. Until then I'm hoping my buddy recovers quickly from this illness and has no lasting effects on his health.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I recently bought Ol Roy peanut butter dog biscuits, and gave to my dog. All of a sudden he chomped down, heard yelp. He broke a tooth. I was told these were good. Thought I give him a special treat. Instead I am paying for a overcooked dog biscuit in the tune of 2000 dollars for surgery on a 5 dollar box of biscuits, plus he won’t drink 'cause it hurts him so much. I now have to come up with that money. I think you all should pay for this. They were so stale. I couldn’t break them in half 'cause I didn’t want him having a big cookie. Anyways so this ticks me off. I certainly wouldn’t recommend these. I wanted to email you all, but couldn’t find a email, but no matter people should know so they don’t run into the same problem. Don’t buy Ol Roy products???

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought 15 pounds of Walmart's Ol' Roy Gravy Meaty Flavored Biscuits. My German Shepherd didn't like them, but I thought he would get used to them, he usually isn't picky. Finally ate one of the two offered to him. Extreme vomiting & became unresponsive, collapsed in vet's doorway. The biscuits were the only change in his diet. We had to euthanize him.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I often shop Costco and Wal-Mart. My dog Lulu, German Shepherd ate Costco Kirkland dog food for the first 2 years plus of her life with great health. I decided due to Wal-Mart location, to change her daily dog food call OI'Roy 50lbs dry, complete nutrition. Upon 90% completion, my dog was having problems with walking and could not jump no longer. I debated taking her to the Vet again and realize that the only thing that I changed was her dry dog food. I mix every morning 2-16oz of dry with 1/2 can of Alpo wet dog food, adding a fresh raw chicken egg 4 to 5 days per week.

My last effort was to go back to the Costco Kirkland dog food brand to save her life. Within a few days, immediate health improvement were notice. It's been now over 6 months since she ate OI'Roy and Lulu health has been perfect and she is been most playful with her family and friends. Please note. I still retain the original bag and the remainder of the OI'Roy dry dog which is poison to my German Shepherd. I will never use OI'Roy products ever again. Great expense and terrible experience for any pet owner to go through. Please contact me if you want additional information. This is my attempt to save other innocent people and their loving pets... Thank-you.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My Lab/Border Collie mix (girl) She had the worse scaling, itchy skin. It was so severe we had wondered if life was torture for her. We tried everything, limited ingredient foods that ran us $60.00 a bag. Eventually made our own food for her. Cortisone shots, hot spot medications. Nothing helped. She only worsened. My Uncle told me how Ol Roy had healed his dog from a similar condition. Though it went against everything I thought to be true about ingredients I figured we've tried everything else. So why not just give it a shot. Within one month her skin began to heal, within 3 months her skin was completely healed. It's now been 2 years and she is healthy and has a beautiful coat! Ol Roy saved my girl's life!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I got my dog some Ol Roy puppy food (dry). She ate some on Sunday and she threw up. She didn't eat any that night. Then she ate some Monday morning and threw up and had diarrhea in the morning later to have bloody streaked runny stools. Today, she won't eat, is weak, lifeless, throwing up, and pooping nothing but blood. The vet said pancreatitis is the diagnoses. I am paying 600 dollars in vet bills and stressed over possibly losing my sweet baby girl. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR COMPANION, DO NOT!!! I have read several reviews similar to mine and I am appalled that this company is still manufacturing any product! I pray that I get enough evidence to draw up a lawsuit. I have never seen my baby girl so lifeless. Her body looks like a skeleton with fur. Belly sunken in and she looks dull. Her eyes are weak. Look at the ingredients!

The first 2 are corn (no value) and fat! The cause of my dog's pancreatitis!!! If I lose my baby, I will come back with a raging vengeance! They grind up euthanized animals and use that as the 4th ingredient. (Animal fat). Plus, Ol Roy can't provide a website with a certified ingredient list! They get pictures from retailers! Also, the last ingredient is one called menadione, form of vitamin k linked to liver toxicity and is not vital to the Safeco regulations! Why is it in our doggy's food?! This brand is owned by Mars pet food. Mars pet food also owned Purina! Beware! Thank you for your time!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I've had 3 dogs on various Ol Roy products for over 15 years and I have never had a problem with it... in fact they love all varieties of it. I've tried everything with no problem. One dog died because he was old, 15 years old and another got hit by a car (back legs) but they did not die from the dog food. I now have 2 more dogs that replaced them and they are on Ol Roy with no problem. You know, maybe your dogs got sick from something else...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I thought the food looked better, than gravy train, which makes him itch, and Alpo, which he wouldn't eat. But, a few weeks ago, he had a seizure, and it looks like it might have been from their can food. I'm glad to see that the other brands were listed, I will try to steer away from them. Luckily, I gave him my own food also, plus, dry. He is now running around and being himself. It took two weeks for him to come out of it. At first I thought he was going down. Then slowly came back. Mon Dieu. When I shop today, I must figure out what to buy him for his good health. This isn't the first time I heard of illness from dog food.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I recently changed my puppies wet dog food to mix with her kibble. I used Ol Roy canned and only mix a couple scoops in with her dry food but she had not been eating her food. I added a teaspoon of bacon grease to get her to eat it. She did eventually and threw up later. The next day she did the same thing. To coax her to eat it I put a scoop of wet cat food (she'll steal the cats food any chance she gets). The next morning she threw up. I will be getting a refund on this case and never buy this product again. If only a scoop or two was making my 35lb dog sick I can't imagine what it'd do to a small dog. Just don't do it. Spend the extra few bucks on something else.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds: We have been giving this to our dog for over 8 years. She gets it as a supplement to her normal dinner in the evening. She is alone a lot through the day. She loves this semi-moist food and we have never had a problem with her eating any of it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I started using Ol Roy Kibble and Chunks years ago when I started reusing stray doggies in my community. They love the little white chunks and think they are getting a treat. I tried switching to Kibble and Bits brand (more expensive) and my dogs wouldn't touch it. Switched back to Ol Roy and have been using it faithfully for 12 years. I recommend the Kibble and Chunks to everyone. Wish I could get occasional coupons although it is affordable now. (Need all the help I can with 14 resumes currently.)

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I tried Ol Roy dog food to save money. My adorable Pomeranian became sick within a day. She had bad diarrhea and was vomiting. Sure it was the dog food, but she could not eat her regular dog food when I changed it back. When I took her to vet the next morning, she had problems breathing. Unfortunately, she had to be put down. When I went online, I was shocked to see similar stories. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD, it is killing our beloved pets.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I am worried that there is not enough vitamins and nutrients in this Ol Roy product. This is a cheap brand but she likes it. I usually get her a medium price range.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have had many different dogs from wolves, German Shepherds, Labradors and my favorite the Rottweilers. I have a female Rott and two small dogs that were dropped off on my property and just got a big male Rottweiler that is 3 years old after losing my other male that was 14 years old when he passed and yes he lived on Ol Roy dog food (Bacon Flavor) along with the others living here and they are all doing great. Sorry to say but I read all the stories from different people on this dog food and think what else did these dogs get into. I go to my local WalMart and find the shelves empty of yes Ol Roy dog food and the few bags that are left are quickly picked up by others, so I think it can't be near as bad as others say. I might try another flavor just to give them something different but it will be Ol Roy.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Ol Roy dry dog food has killed 3 of my dogs as of 12/22/2017, I'm outraged. My fellow Americans who have lost a dog it's time to file a class action suit against Mars, Inc USA. Lets join together and put Ol Roy dog food off the shelf plus out of our lives forever, Ol Roy dog food need to be banned from the world! My dog and two puppies are dead because of Walmart greed and Mars sic demented quality control!!! I'm suing Mars Inc for 12 billion dollars!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Ive been feeding my dogs this dog food for probably 15 + years. My vet said, "Whatever you're giving them keep it up, 'cause they are doing great!!" I didnt have the heart to say I was buying it from Walmart and how inexpensive it was, but my shepherd Akita wolf mix lived to be almost 14. I rescued a flat coated retriever at 5 eating kibbles and bits who was a mess with dandruff and itching and turned him around in 1 month on it and he's gorgeous!! Unless something drastic has changed in content recently, Or someone is adding something different, Zeus and I are just terribly disappointed you would discontinue. Why? Because of a couple complaints? There are complaints on everything. Funny, I have to have delivered online because stores sell out so quickly. You were obviously selling it? What about the dogs that have thrived on it? Sad!! :(

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Today is Monday December 12, 2017, we just left the emergency vets office at 11:30pm. We had to leave our precious 100 lb Great Pyrenees, Missy, overnight because she is having seizures. She had two seizures before we could get her to the vet and had one at the vet's office. Blood tests were clear. The only change in her life was the dog food we bought at Walmart on Saturday December 10, 2017. We thought we would offer her something different and bought Ol Roy at our local Walmart. Just two days later our 2 1/2 year old little girl was having horrible seizures and didn’t recognize her parents when we spoke to her. We don’t know if she’ll bounce back but we do know that Ol Roy dog food is the cause.

After reading the reviews we wish we had just done some research before making the change. On the other hand, we expect Walmart to be responsible enough to not sell a food that will kill our beloved pets! There has to be some recourse to stop Walmart from selling the Ol Roy poison to unsuspecting pet owners. I will contact an attorney to see if there is anything that can be done to compensate for the pain they have caused. Please don’t take a chance with the Ol Roy poison, don’t feed it to your dogs! I also read 2 or 3 reviews that said their dogs were doing great eating Ol Roy. I equate that to playing Russian Roulette, it’s all good until you get the cylinder with the bullet in it! Good luck to those whose loved ones are suffering because Walmart and Ol Roy could care less. My wife and I pray your pet's recovery and ask you to send good thoughts our way for our Missy!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

It won't get eaten. It is not protein and this brand is not all USA made. I would suggest there is some problem when dogs get sick on it. It's cheap and the quality is not good.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

A little more than a month ago I purchased the Ol' Roy dog treats original biscuits along with dog vitamins. I began giving the two to my pup and within two days he was lethargic, vomiting and had uncontrollable stool. I figured it was either the vitamins or the treats since they were the only two new changes made. After a days of not consuming either one my dog was slowly coming back to normal. I was in constant contact with the vet and was making sure my pup was hydrated and if worsen I knew to take him in. Luckily it passed and he was okay. I stopped giving him the treats and the vitamins. This occurred like towards the end of October.

Now today my niece found the treats in the pantry and gave two to my older dog. She has since had uncontrollable bloody stool and is constantly vomiting! It is definitely the treats as there has been no changes to her diet except the fact that she consumed the treats today! These treats should not be sold at stores if they are not safe for our pets. It was too good to be true when I bought them at Walmart for a dollar! Now I really hope my older dog makes it through. I don’t know if she’ll be as strong as my puppy was. Also I wish I had the receipt but I tossed it as soon as I walked out of Walmart. I will definitely start saving my receipts from now on!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The price of Ol Roy is reasonable and the different flavors are good. I switch flavors about every other month. There have had no complaints from the dogs so it is Okay.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Ol Roy is all I can afford and I know it is ** and if I could afford better I would go with Nutro or Blue Buffalo. It is my wishes to feed my dogs better but I am doing the best I can.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

He just recently started eating Ol Roy, but so far likes as long as it is moist. He does not like it when it gets hard, he won't eat it. So we give him small amounts throughout the day.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Ol Roy is very affordable and my dog loves it. He has ate Ol Roy for six years and he never tires of it, however he didn't like the bacon flavored Ol Roy nearly as well as the original flavor.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Ol Roy Pet Foods is inexpensive and very nutritious food. My dog loved it! She cannot get enough of it. Always available at Wal-Mart and have a variety of products: wet/dry/treats!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My dogs like the Ol Roy brand because of the little green peas that are in it. They like the taste and the fact I let them have as much as they want all day long. It's economical for me as well.

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information