1.39/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

536 Ol Roy Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

Some many reviews on here and I can't believe what I'm reading, but each to their own. I have 5 dogs and every morning they wake me up for a treat. It has to be jerky sticks from Ol Roy. I tried blue wilderness treats and 3 out of 5 of my babies got so sick. Now it all all depends on the breed and diets of your pets. Just like people. Watch what you eat and watch what you feed your pets. Let's just say I have to buy a new bag every week of Ol Roy beef sticks because my dogs love them so much. They have never gotten sick with them and they can hear a bag open from outside. The bag is easy to open, it smells like beef sticks and my dogs seem to love them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

A while back I bought a big pack of Ol' Roy Rawhide Retriever Rolls for my dogs. After finishing them, both of my dogs vomited within a half hour. I thought it might be a fluke, so a few days later I gave each of them a roll again. They both vomited about 15 minutes later. I thought it was more than a coincidence so I threw them away. It was also odd since my dogs are both very different breeds (one 60-lb Alaskan malamute/shepherd mix and a 45-lb Dachshund/black lab mix, who has literally partially eaten dead rats and not vomited or gotten otherwise ill).

Today I decided to give their rawhide chips a try since I was at Walmart anyway to pick up some other things. Maybe last time it was a bad batch. Maybe the rolls are too big and too much for one sitting. Maybe maybe maybe... so I fed each of them a chip and, lo and behold, one of my dogs has already vomited 10 minutes later. It's just partially digested rawhide and bile. They regularly consume Good Lovin' and Better Belly rawhide. They've also had Pet Factory and DreamBones, as well as the generic Target and Meijer brand rawhide products. They never vomit from those brands. I'm pretty sure something is inherently wrong with Ol' Roy rawhide products.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My dog likes Ol Roy Pet Foods, soft and moist. Order online and at Walmart, comes in 2 flavors. Easy to open, not messy, no odor. Dog eats it best. Boxes easy to handle, dog eats all in his bowl.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Purchased the 4 pack of Ol Roy Rawhide Retriever chew bones and after eating the 1st one within 15 minutes our dog vomited for the next 1/2 hr. Thinking it was possibly just a fluke we tried again the next night. Again he was vomiting. These will be going back to the store. He has had many other brand chew bones over the years without incident, but no more Ol Roy anything for him from now on! (Especially after reading other people's issues.)

Original review: March 7, 2019

A few days ago my friend visited and saw my dog food and she warned me against Ol Roy dog food and I told her it was just the wet food but it kind of alerted me because my one dog started having body jerking in the night, after starting on the Ol Roy dry food. I for the first time bought Ol Roy dry dog food and dog bones last week. While sleeping, my dog Autumn woke me with jerky body movements. I thought she was just having dreams. Then my second dog Copper started with the jerking. Now this Thursday a third dog Buster has started with the body jerking during sleep. These seemed like jerking but they were such they've woken me up several times during the night. I got up this morning and googled Ol Roy food and I see more dogs have had similar reactions. I have other dog food so I at 5 a.m. changed out their food. I also notice sac like around the stools which has never occurred before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Original review: March 6, 2019

A friend gave our dog a box of Old Roy Dog Treats for Christmas. Last Saturday we gave him one and 10 hours later he had a seizure. We gave him one yesterday and he had another one. Read the ingredients on the box and couldn't believe the crap in this product. Then went on the web site and read other reviews that said the same thing - SEIZURES. Can't believe Walmart would sell a product like this, one that obviously causes seizures.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My husband recently picked up a bag of Ol' Roy Dog Chews when at Walmart on impulse. My dogs experienced SEVERE diarrhea after eating them! I have seen similar reviews of Ol' Roy products since. I would definitely NOT recommend Ol' Roy!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought Ol Roy can dog food last yr. It gave our lab & terrier seizures! Today I bought the munchy bone for each. They both had seizures within 30 min of eating them! I only gave 1/2 to the terrier. Thank goodness! A whole one would of probably killed him!! The lab had a severe seizure. I love my dogs dearly &...Please never buy Ol Roy products for your dogs!! It's cruel! I have contacted Walmart about can food & didn't get a reply. I did again today. I wish I would've read reviews before this purchase!!! It was terrible! I gave 1 star because this site wouldn't except 0.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased a bag with 10 chews. I have two Corgis that are heavy chewers. They had their treat gone within two minutes. Long lasting? I think not. And then I am reading all of the bad reviews about Ol Roy, so no more for my dogs. I will be returning this to Wal-Mart.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My dog was born in Feb 2007. In 2010 she was diagnosed with epilepsy, Nov 2017 she had over 100 kidney stones removed from her bladder. She ate Ol Roy Kibbles, Chunks and Chews her whole life. The vet then switched her food but it was too late. In Oct of 2018 I took her in. Her breathing had become labored. She was gaining weight. I was afraid she had kidney stones again but xrays revealed her liver was swollen 3xs the size it should be causing fluid on her heart and lungs. She passed away Nov 26th 2018. I have spent more than 6,000 only to find out that these are the problems that Ol Roy dog food caused. Where is the justice. I lost my best friend plus I'm in debt.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I switched to Ol Roy, because of my budget. Milk Bone was more expensive, I have 5 dogs, all different kinds. There was not a variety in the box. Most were the light brown ones. One of my dogs loves the dark pink ones. There were only 2 of them in the whole box. 95% of them were the light brown ones. NO VARIETY!!! Going back to Milk Bone. I'm telling my friends, as well. False advertising.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased these chews October 23, 2018 at Walmart. The only reason I purchased them is because they didn’t have the Good 'n' Fun Triple Flavor Kabobs. I gave my dog one of them that evening and within 3 hours she had a severe case of diarrhea. Trying not to jump to conclusions I gave her another one today and SAME THING!!! Never again will I give any pet anything with the name Ol’ Roy on it. And I will be returning the rest of the 24 ounce package for a FULL REFUND!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I am a sled dog musher & have 35 dogs. I have fed Ol Roy's High Performance as my summer time off season food. I often purchase it by the pallet at my local Walmart store. This last summer they changed the formula & the bags are now labeled 'Improved Formula'. Immediately upon 1st feeding, every single one of my dogs got severe diarrhea. Now you must understand my dogs eat a large variety of foods. They eat a lot of different game meats and a variety of fish, rabbits, squirrels and fowl, and I change their kibble to a higher calorie food in the winter. They NEVER get diarrhea.

Despite this I figured I would give it a week or two thinking maybe the dogs just needed to adjust to the new formula. Nope, after about 10 days every dog in the kennel was pooping water. Well as soon as I switched the dogs off Ol Roy’s, within 2 days all of my dog's poop went back to normal. I used to purchase 40 bags of this food per month and I will not again. I used my remaining Ol Roy's dog food for bear hunting bait. Incidentally since then I was in a bind for dog food and bought the regular Ol Roy (the red bag) just enough to feed the kennel for a couple of days and the results were the same. Instant water poo.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Gave the Ol Roy jerky sticks to my dog today and it got stuck in his throat. It was awful. He couldn't breathe. There was foam and blood everywhere... At last when he was almost dying I was able to get it out... But it really scared me to be soo close to lose him. These should not be sold.... Please do not buy these for your dogs if you want to keep them alive for a long time...

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I gave my 15 year old lab Ol Roy Rawhide sticks from Walmart. He chewed & ate it but got stuck in his throat. He was gasping & trying to throw it back up but could not. I took him as fast as I could to my Vet. He was unconscious when I got him there. His lips were blue. The Vet took him & tried to give him Oxygen but it was too late! Warning don't give your dog Rawhide Sticks from Ol' Roy. There should be a Class Action Law Suit for selling these. It cost me $ 350.00 Dollars. Now my best Friend is dead!

Original review: July 20, 2018

We have been purchasing Ol' Roy Bark'n Bac'n Dog Treats for several years. However the last bag we purchased he was throwing up. Tonight it was VERY SEVERE. He pooped all over the place and vomited really strange puke. This was the last thing we fed him as a snack yesterday afternoon 7/19/2018. THE LOT NUMBER IS 8 12 C2 OKM 01 23:17. It is now 1:15 AM 7/20/2018 as we spent over an hour cleaning up the mess and are very concerned of our little guy, Buddy. SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. We checked to see if he possibly had eaten anything in the kitchen, i.e. the trash, and everything was undisturbed.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Fed my 3 dogs a Ol Roy treat from a new box, all 3 got sick, 3 days later one of my dogs died at a ER. A small amount of vomit toxins found after doing my own private testing. If you think of your pet as a family member DO NOT BUY OL ROY. This is my precious, loving, wonderful dog who is gone because of this food.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We bought a bag of Ol' Roy on Saturday, June 23rd, at the Belle Isle Walmart in Oklahoma City, Ok. I fed my 4 dogs their required amount Saturday evening and again on Sunday morning. I allot an amount of time for them to eat and if they're not done or don't eat it all, I'll put the food up. Yesterday morning, I saw movement in the food. As in "mealybugs." I called Walmart Corporate in Bentonville and began explaining the situation. The 1st young man was very polite and transferred me to the "Ol' Roy Division" and I spoke with a young lady who didn't seem to be alarmed or concerned.

I asked for the manufacturer's name, to which she stated that they're unable to give that information. Walmart's solution: $20 gift card. I then loaded up my dog food container, the Ol' Roy bag, my trash bag with the mealybug food, a baggie showing the mealybug food and took it to the actual store. I spoke with a MOD, she sent me to customer service and I then explained the situation again. The young ladies were accommodating and gave me suggestions for treating my dogs. I'm an animal lover, as I'm sure some of you are, so the callousness of the Walmart/Ol' Roy division is alarming.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I own a 6 yr old German Shepherd and he has eaten Ol Roy complete nutrition dry food since he was a puppy. Where we live is a pretty rural area so I purchase the 50 lb bags and store it in a 5 gallon container, this lasts us for approx. 2 months, saves on trips to store. It was 4 months ago February 2018 that I noticed when I opened the bag to mix with the little bit of remaining food we had, that the bits were a different color (like they changed the formula or ingredients). The bag was the same, everything on it was the same except the coloring. He ate it with no problems, was still happy go-lucky and energetic. I bought another in April 2018, he had no problems. I just purchased a bag on Thursday, June 14, 2018. He ate a bowl that night, he was fine. Seemed the normal self.

Next morning when my daughter got up to let him out of his room he wasn't quite himself, we could tell from looking at him that he wasn't feeling good, I automatically assumed he had gotten into the trash but he didn't. We have the trash can with the floppy lid and keep lid facing a corner so he can't nose it open. My kids are out of school so they are home while I work. When I came home from work on Friday I knew he was sick because he's a momma's boy and I didn't get greeted at the door, when I was making dinner he wasn't standing next to me like usual, didn't touch his food all day and didn't drink any water. He looked and seemed lethargic to me, was very slow in getting up, slow getting up and down steps, and would just lay on floor dozing on and off.

Saturday June 16th my daughter called me at work at approximately 2 pm to let me know that he still had not eaten anything nor drank any water, it had been 24 hrs now, so I called vets office to find they were closed and to call vet in next county which is 45 minutes away. After 5 minutes of searching I found one veterinary office local that was open, made appt and brought him in. After initial exam, rectal exam, and blood work, white blood cells showed infection. My poor buddy was diagnosed with either beginning of pancreatitis or vet said it could be start of liver failure. He is currently on 3 medications and slowly improving.

They suggested and I purchased 2 cans of Purina EN critical care wet food. I mixed some of it whir his dry Ol Roy food and he ate most of it, he was walking and losing his balance but not falling. He has not touched his food at all today and after dishing out almost $500 in vet bills so far and seeing all the reviews on here, I have officially decided never to purchase any type of Ol Roy dog food products again and if it's the food that had something wrong with it I will gladly send a written testimony into the courts, as a matter of fact I have a whole 5 gal pail of it. I'm going to find a laboratory to test it. Until then I'm hoping my buddy recovers quickly from this illness and has no lasting effects on his health.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I recently bought Ol Roy peanut butter dog biscuits, and gave to my dog. All of a sudden he chomped down, heard yelp. He broke a tooth. I was told these were good. Thought I give him a special treat. Instead I am paying for a overcooked dog biscuit in the tune of 2000 dollars for surgery on a 5 dollar box of biscuits, plus he won’t drink 'cause it hurts him so much. I now have to come up with that money. I think you all should pay for this. They were so stale. I couldn’t break them in half 'cause I didn’t want him having a big cookie. Anyways so this ticks me off. I certainly wouldn’t recommend these. I wanted to email you all, but couldn’t find a email, but no matter people should know so they don’t run into the same problem. Don’t buy Ol Roy products???

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought 15 pounds of Walmart's Ol' Roy Gravy Meaty Flavored Biscuits. My German Shepherd didn't like them, but I thought he would get used to them, he usually isn't picky. Finally ate one of the two offered to him. Extreme vomiting & became unresponsive, collapsed in vet's doorway. The biscuits were the only change in his diet. We had to euthanize him.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I often shop Costco and Wal-Mart. My dog Lulu, German Shepherd ate Costco Kirkland dog food for the first 2 years plus of her life with great health. I decided due to Wal-Mart location, to change her daily dog food call OI'Roy 50lbs dry, complete nutrition. Upon 90% completion, my dog was having problems with walking and could not jump no longer. I debated taking her to the Vet again and realize that the only thing that I changed was her dry dog food. I mix every morning 2-16oz of dry with 1/2 can of Alpo wet dog food, adding a fresh raw chicken egg 4 to 5 days per week.

My last effort was to go back to the Costco Kirkland dog food brand to save her life. Within a few days, immediate health improvement were notice. It's been now over 6 months since she ate OI'Roy and Lulu health has been perfect and she is been most playful with her family and friends. Please note. I still retain the original bag and the remainder of the OI'Roy dry dog which is poison to my German Shepherd. I will never use OI'Roy products ever again. Great expense and terrible experience for any pet owner to go through. Please contact me if you want additional information. This is my attempt to save other innocent people and their loving pets... Thank-you.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My Lab/Border Collie mix (girl) She had the worse scaling, itchy skin. It was so severe we had wondered if life was torture for her. We tried everything, limited ingredient foods that ran us $60.00 a bag. Eventually made our own food for her. Cortisone shots, hot spot medications. Nothing helped. She only worsened. My Uncle told me how Ol Roy had healed his dog from a similar condition. Though it went against everything I thought to be true about ingredients I figured we've tried everything else. So why not just give it a shot. Within one month her skin began to heal, within 3 months her skin was completely healed. It's now been 2 years and she is healthy and has a beautiful coat! Ol Roy saved my girl's life!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I got my dog some Ol Roy puppy food (dry). She ate some on Sunday and she threw up. She didn't eat any that night. Then she ate some Monday morning and threw up and had diarrhea in the morning later to have bloody streaked runny stools. Today, she won't eat, is weak, lifeless, throwing up, and pooping nothing but blood. The vet said pancreatitis is the diagnoses. I am paying 600 dollars in vet bills and stressed over possibly losing my sweet baby girl. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR COMPANION, DO NOT!!! I have read several reviews similar to mine and I am appalled that this company is still manufacturing any product! I pray that I get enough evidence to draw up a lawsuit. I have never seen my baby girl so lifeless. Her body looks like a skeleton with fur. Belly sunken in and she looks dull. Her eyes are weak. Look at the ingredients!

The first 2 are corn (no value) and fat! The cause of my dog's pancreatitis!!! If I lose my baby, I will come back with a raging vengeance! They grind up euthanized animals and use that as the 4th ingredient. (Animal fat). Plus, Ol Roy can't provide a website with a certified ingredient list! They get pictures from retailers! Also, the last ingredient is one called menadione, form of vitamin k linked to liver toxicity and is not vital to the Safeco regulations! Why is it in our doggy's food?! This brand is owned by Mars pet food. Mars pet food also owned Purina! Beware! Thank you for your time!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I've had 3 dogs on various Ol Roy products for over 15 years and I have never had a problem with it... in fact they love all varieties of it. I've tried everything with no problem. One dog died because he was old, 15 years old and another got hit by a car (back legs) but they did not die from the dog food. I now have 2 more dogs that replaced them and they are on Ol Roy with no problem. You know, maybe your dogs got sick from something else...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I thought the food looked better, than gravy train, which makes him itch, and Alpo, which he wouldn't eat. But, a few weeks ago, he had a seizure, and it looks like it might have been from their can food. I'm glad to see that the other brands were listed, I will try to steer away from them. Luckily, I gave him my own food also, plus, dry. He is now running around and being himself. It took two weeks for him to come out of it. At first I thought he was going down. Then slowly came back. Mon Dieu. When I shop today, I must figure out what to buy him for his good health. This isn't the first time I heard of illness from dog food.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I recently changed my puppies wet dog food to mix with her kibble. I used Ol Roy canned and only mix a couple scoops in with her dry food but she had not been eating her food. I added a teaspoon of bacon grease to get her to eat it. She did eventually and threw up later. The next day she did the same thing. To coax her to eat it I put a scoop of wet cat food (she'll steal the cats food any chance she gets). The next morning she threw up. I will be getting a refund on this case and never buy this product again. If only a scoop or two was making my 35lb dog sick I can't imagine what it'd do to a small dog. Just don't do it. Spend the extra few bucks on something else.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds: We have been giving this to our dog for over 8 years. She gets it as a supplement to her normal dinner in the evening. She is alone a lot through the day. She loves this semi-moist food and we have never had a problem with her eating any of it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I started using Ol Roy Kibble and Chunks years ago when I started reusing stray doggies in my community. They love the little white chunks and think they are getting a treat. I tried switching to Kibble and Bits brand (more expensive) and my dogs wouldn't touch it. Switched back to Ol Roy and have been using it faithfully for 12 years. I recommend the Kibble and Chunks to everyone. Wish I could get occasional coupons although it is affordable now. (Need all the help I can with 14 resumes currently.)

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I tried Ol Roy dog food to save money. My adorable Pomeranian became sick within a day. She had bad diarrhea and was vomiting. Sure it was the dog food, but she could not eat her regular dog food when I changed it back. When I took her to vet the next morning, she had problems breathing. Unfortunately, she had to be put down. When I went online, I was shocked to see similar stories. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD, it is killing our beloved pets.

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information