2.40/5
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Ol Roy Pet Foods

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

509 Ol Roy Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds: We have been giving this to our dog for over 8 years. She gets it as a supplement to her normal dinner in the evening. She is alone a lot through the day. She loves this semi-moist food and we have never had a problem with her eating any of it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I started using Ol Roy Kibble and Chunks years ago when I started reusing stray doggies in my community. They love the little white chunks and think they are getting a treat. I tried switching to Kibble and Bits brand (more expensive) and my dogs wouldn't touch it. Switched back to Ol Roy and have been using it faithfully for 12 years. I recommend the Kibble and Chunks to everyone. Wish I could get occasional coupons although it is affordable now. (Need all the help I can with 14 resumes currently.)

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I tried Ol Roy dog food to save money. My adorable Pomeranian became sick within a day. She had bad diarrhea and was vomiting. Sure it was the dog food, but she could not eat her regular dog food when I changed it back. When I took her to vet the next morning, she had problems breathing. Unfortunately, she had to be put down. When I went online, I was shocked to see similar stories. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD, it is killing our beloved pets.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I am worried that there is not enough vitamins and nutrients in this Ol Roy product. This is a cheap brand but she likes it. I usually get her a medium price range.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have had many different dogs from wolves, German Shepherds, Labradors and my favorite the Rottweilers. I have a female Rott and two small dogs that were dropped off on my property and just got a big male Rottweiler that is 3 years old after losing my other male that was 14 years old when he passed and yes he lived on Ol Roy dog food (Bacon Flavor) along with the others living here and they are all doing great. Sorry to say but I read all the stories from different people on this dog food and think what else did these dogs get into. I go to my local WalMart and find the shelves empty of yes Ol Roy dog food and the few bags that are left are quickly picked up by others, so I think it can't be near as bad as others say. I might try another flavor just to give them something different but it will be Ol Roy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Ol Roy dry dog food has killed 3 of my dogs as of 12/22/2017, I'm outraged. My fellow Americans who have lost a dog it's time to file a class action suit against Mars, Inc USA. Lets join together and put Ol Roy dog food off the shelf plus out of our lives forever, Ol Roy dog food need to be banned from the world! My dog and two puppies are dead because of Walmart greed and Mars sic demented quality control!!! I'm suing Mars Inc for 12 billion dollars!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Ive been feeding my dogs this dog food for probably 15 + years. My vet said, "Whatever you're giving them keep it up, 'cause they are doing great!!" I didnt have the heart to say I was buying it from Walmart and how inexpensive it was, but my shepherd Akita wolf mix lived to be almost 14. I rescued a flat coated retriever at 5 eating kibbles and bits who was a mess with dandruff and itching and turned him around in 1 month on it and he's gorgeous!! Unless something drastic has changed in content recently, Or someone is adding something different, Zeus and I are just terribly disappointed you would discontinue. Why? Because of a couple complaints? There are complaints on everything. Funny, I have to have delivered online because stores sell out so quickly. You were obviously selling it? What about the dogs that have thrived on it? Sad!! :(

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Today is Monday December 12, 2017, we just left the emergency vets office at 11:30pm. We had to leave our precious 100 lb Great Pyrenees, Missy, overnight because she is having seizures. She had two seizures before we could get her to the vet and had one at the vet's office. Blood tests were clear. The only change in her life was the dog food we bought at Walmart on Saturday December 10, 2017. We thought we would offer her something different and bought Ol Roy at our local Walmart. Just two days later our 2 1/2 year old little girl was having horrible seizures and didn’t recognize her parents when we spoke to her. We don’t know if she’ll bounce back but we do know that Ol Roy dog food is the cause.

After reading the reviews we wish we had just done some research before making the change. On the other hand, we expect Walmart to be responsible enough to not sell a food that will kill our beloved pets! There has to be some recourse to stop Walmart from selling the Ol Roy poison to unsuspecting pet owners. I will contact an attorney to see if there is anything that can be done to compensate for the pain they have caused. Please don’t take a chance with the Ol Roy poison, don’t feed it to your dogs! I also read 2 or 3 reviews that said their dogs were doing great eating Ol Roy. I equate that to playing Russian Roulette, it’s all good until you get the cylinder with the bullet in it! Good luck to those whose loved ones are suffering because Walmart and Ol Roy could care less. My wife and I pray your pet's recovery and ask you to send good thoughts our way for our Missy!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

It won't get eaten. It is not protein and this brand is not all USA made. I would suggest there is some problem when dogs get sick on it. It's cheap and the quality is not good.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

A little more than a month ago I purchased the Ol' Roy dog treats original biscuits along with dog vitamins. I began giving the two to my pup and within two days he was lethargic, vomiting and had uncontrollable stool. I figured it was either the vitamins or the treats since they were the only two new changes made. After a days of not consuming either one my dog was slowly coming back to normal. I was in constant contact with the vet and was making sure my pup was hydrated and if worsen I knew to take him in. Luckily it passed and he was okay. I stopped giving him the treats and the vitamins. This occurred like towards the end of October.

Now today my niece found the treats in the pantry and gave two to my older dog. She has since had uncontrollable bloody stool and is constantly vomiting! It is definitely the treats as there has been no changes to her diet except the fact that she consumed the treats today! These treats should not be sold at stores if they are not safe for our pets. It was too good to be true when I bought them at Walmart for a dollar! Now I really hope my older dog makes it through. I don’t know if she’ll be as strong as my puppy was. Also I wish I had the receipt but I tossed it as soon as I walked out of Walmart. I will definitely start saving my receipts from now on!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The price of Ol Roy is reasonable and the different flavors are good. I switch flavors about every other month. There have had no complaints from the dogs so it is Okay.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Ol Roy is all I can afford and I know it is ** and if I could afford better I would go with Nutro or Blue Buffalo. It is my wishes to feed my dogs better but I am doing the best I can.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

He just recently started eating Ol Roy, but so far likes as long as it is moist. He does not like it when it gets hard, he won't eat it. So we give him small amounts throughout the day.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Ol Roy is very affordable and my dog loves it. He has ate Ol Roy for six years and he never tires of it, however he didn't like the bacon flavored Ol Roy nearly as well as the original flavor.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Ol Roy Pet Foods is inexpensive and very nutritious food. My dog loved it! She cannot get enough of it. Always available at Wal-Mart and have a variety of products: wet/dry/treats!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My dogs like the Ol Roy brand because of the little green peas that are in it. They like the taste and the fact I let them have as much as they want all day long. It's economical for me as well.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We purchased Ol Roy bacon flavored, 50lbs. Within two days my German Shepherd was throwing up, uncontrollable diarrhea, with blood. I had to take her to vet twice. We live in the country so I assumed she got into something. Until the neighborhood stray who always came by to eat refused to eat this food and she is pregnant. She did this several times. So I put out that Ol Roy. Wouldn't touch. Next to it put the new food I had bought my dog after she had not ate in 6 days, I really thought she was going to die. She gulped it down, I finally figured it out! Especially with one of the other people telling their tale lives about 5 miles from me!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I bought this Ol Roy Complete Nutrition 50lbs bag on October 30th 2017. My baby girl is almost 2. Since she has eaten this she had been VERY sick. Vomiting, bloody uncontrollable diarrhea, very lifeless. This product should NOT be on the shelves. I am sending a letter to the local news channels, Ol Roy themselves and Walmart. Took my dog to the vet today. He said, "It's definitely her food, she may not make it through the night." I am DEVASTATED!!! My other 2 have started getting sick today also. I have pulled their food and praying it isn't too late. They are my babies not just dogs. I am appalled at all these reviews and yet this stuff is still on the shelves. If my dog dies I WILL take legal action.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Right after feeding the food to our boy he went into a seizure today. The seizures started last night. We took him to the emergency vet last night and regular vet today. Prescribed meds to stop seizures. The seizures got smaller so we thought he was okay with the meds. We have used the food before but never saw our chihuahua mix have seizures. He did start acting really needy and clingy. We were just starting the second box of canned foods. He is usually very spunky and full of life. Tonight after giving him his anti seizure meds and half a can of the food he went into a big long seizure. I have been reading up on what triggers seizures and thought maybe high sodium content in the food could be the cause until reading all of these reviews! I cannot believe this stuff is still on the shelf!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Feed her several cans over a period of two days. Within 24 hours -- she got unrelenting diarrhea. Stopped food immediately -- as this was only change. Diarrhea has not stopped yet (a week ongoing now). Does not respond to bland diet... Wish I had read these reviews before buying.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Complete nutrition and bacon dry dog food - I recently bought 3 big bags of Ol Roy dog food. I have 5 pit bulls... 2 males and 3 females which are pregnant. They were healthy dogs up until we started them on Ol Roy when they all started diarrhea and bleeding out their rectum. They are vomiting and just laying around. My male dog was suffering from the loss of his back legs, could barely walk. I'm so highly upset right now. These people need to be sued... We as the people who buy their product should be reimbursed. I will be so highly upset if I lose my babies... They are my kids, my world, my everything! Please help me because right now I am in tears reading these reviews on Ol Roy.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Fed my dog Ol Roy soft and moist beef and cheese packets. About 30 minutes after he ate it, he was gagging and drinking water no stop. This stuff is NOT good for pets. He's lying around and isn't feeling well at all. Something needs to be done about this!!!! The Best by date on the box is Aug. 2018. 72146002 1011L01.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought and fed my 12 lb. 9 year old dog Fergie, a tin of Ol Roy food as a treat on Friday. Overnight and all day Saturday she had diarrhea. Sunday, she started having uncontrollable grand mal seizures, which continued every 3 hours, some back to back. By Monday morning Fergie had approximately 20 seizures, along with laboured congestive breathing. I had to put her to sleep because she was so sick. Blood tests showed that there were no health problems that would cause such sickness. We had a perfectly healthy dog until she ingested Ol Roy, now she is gone and we are heartbroken. We decided to google the food and came up with this site. Have any of you gone further to get this taken off shelves or is nobody taking this serious.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

On Thursday August 10,2017 I purchased Ol Roy dog food at Wal-Mart. I decided to go with that brand because I wanted to try something new for my dogs. I fed it to them. 1 of my dog was eating it and stop it. I thought maybe to myself he didn't like the food, then my other dog started throwing up and feeling sick, after that the rest of my dogs got sick too also after eating that dog food. They were all throwing up, didn't want to play, lay around and looking very sick. This was exactly 4 days after I purchased this dog food... I need corporate or someone to do something about this. It's killing my dogs slowly. I'm very angry and sad for my dogs. They to do a recall on this dog food and give me my money back. It hurts to see my dogs go through this. This should be recalled and reported on the news! It's killing everyone's dogs!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My vet visits, the wonderful compliments they get speaks volumes. I have only seen them on a recall list one time. Best of all they actually like the food and no skin problems. I have just about tried them all and many my dogs just refuse to eat. Yes, they are spoiled and are also fed raw foods to go along with the dry kibble.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Our Maddie is so particular about her food but Ol Roy truly satisfies her. She eats 3 times a day. She even enjoys the biscuits too. She's about 6 yrs. old and still enjoys the Ol Roy puppy food.

Original review: July 18, 2017

My 9 yr old Husky/Lab mix, Bailey was eating the Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition for a few years and just seemed to stop eating so we figured it was getting too hard for her to chew. So we decided to try the Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds last week (7/13/17) because they are chewy. She seemed to love it and ate the hell out of it. We noticed the past couple days she really wasn't eating much. Sunday morning (7/16/2017) She was completely normal. Barking at us and jumping around to tell us she had to go out. Walking in front of us, practically tripping us in the process. Being her normal Bailey-self. By afternoon she seemed a little out of it. Like she just wasn't feeling well. Late that night she started to pant heavily and threw up. It was white and milky looking. I let her out in case she got sick again and she just plopped down in the grass in front of the house. She just wouldn't move or do anything but lay there and look pitiful.

I called my husband outside and she wagged her tail but still didn't move. After a while she got up and threw up again. She moved a couple times but not very far. We noticed her breathing was very labored. We were outside for over an hour with her. I brought out some water and she drank it like she hadn't had water in weeks. She kept resting her head on her bowl between long chugs of water. She wasn't able to keep the water down long and threw it up moments later. She then went and hid under one of the shrubs front of the house. We couldn't even reach her. We finally got her to come out and tried to get her to come in the house but she couldn't make it up the steps and just collapsed.

My husband had to pick her up and carry her inside. He laid her down a few feet from the door. Her breathing went from labored to shallow in a matter of minutes. There was nothing we could do. We knew a vet couldn't help. She was just too far gone. We would've been lucky to find one open at that time anyway. Bailey took her last breath early Monday morning with my husband, our kids and me with her. We miss her terribly. It just seemed odd that just 4 days after switching to the Ol' Roy Dinner Rounds my dog suddenly died. She was an inside dog so we know she didn't get into anything. She never ate or drank anything she shouldn't. I honestly believe it was the dog food that killed her.

Original review: July 10, 2017

My son brought this dog food home last night. We normally feed our coonhound mix and mini dachshund 4Health chicken and rice. We gave them one bowl and shortly after the doxie vomited. The coon dog also vomited, but appears okay this morning. We rushed the dachshund to the vet. She was cold and lethargic. It looks like her liver is shutting down and I don't think she is going to make it. This product is to blame. Horrible and should not be allowed to be sold.

Original review: June 16, 2017

We got Ol Roy bacon flavored food 50 lb bag and it's made 3 of my dogs very sick, the other 2 dogs wont eat it. My dogs got diarrhea and one can't even walk and is at the vet now, very lethargic and just limp. Blood tests are not showing anything and waiting on X rays. But it's definitely the food. All dogs are healthy and active until now, my one who cant walk doesn't look good at all, I pray he makes it through. Never buying this brand again. Reading all the reviews it's so scary that this is still being sold.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Ol Roy Multi Flavored Basted Biscuits - Bought a box of these cookies at Walmart a few days ago. I have 4 dogs, 3 small and one medium one. Have been giving the cookies to them a few times a day after they go outside to do their necessities. Needless to say that my big one got really sick. Started vomiting and with chronic diarrhea. The others followed with the same symptoms. This is the first product I try from that brand, and I will never buy it again. I am taking whatever is left from the box to Walmart, and I plan to hold them liable for it if they give me any trouble exchanging it. This company should be shut down. They are selling bad products. Who knows what they put in it. Do not buy Ol Roy products if you really care for your dogs.

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information

www.walmart.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use