Ol Roy Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I fed my dogs Ol Roy wet dog food this morning and when I checked on them a few hours later both my dogs have extremely swollen gums. To the point his gums are covering his teeth. Why is this company even still in business???

Been buying this Ol Roy Soft & Moist Dog food for about six months for our geriatric dog. Up until recently he would scarf it down. This weekend he stopped eating and drinking, started throwing up blood clots, got diarrhea and then diarrhea with blood, couldn't keep any water, medicine, or food down without it coming up within seconds. Two trips to the vet in two days and two IVs along with oral meds which he can't keep down and two shots of anti-nausea meds. This food is the only thing he ate. Do not buy Ol Roy Soft & Moist Dog food.

I bought a 50lb bag. I open it. All I smell is chemicals coming from the bag. Then I noticed something inside. It's a big clump of what looks to be a dust bunny. Extremely angry. Will be taking back. And never buying anything again from Ol Roy.

I purchased a bag of Ol Roy Bacon flavor on my way through Walmart because his normal brand was sold out. Not long after eating the food I went outside on Friday afternoon to discover that neither my Yellow Labrador nor my Dachshund had eaten their food. This was immediately strange to me so I walked the perimeter of my yard and looked around for something odd in my yard that maybe had been thrown over the fence or that they might had eaten/chewed on, Nothing!

Saturday morning, both my babies were very slow in getting out of their beds and not in a big hurry to go outside and play/potty etc? Definitely something wrong. Again, neither one will eat! Barely drinking water. Now here it is Sunday and I am writing to ConsumerAffairs as both of my dogs stopped eating/drinking completely. I cooked up some chicken breast and cut it up in super small pieces and some soft boiled rice, they wouldn't even eat that! I live in Central Idaho and there are no vets over the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday to see what's wrong with my animals. I have every reason to suspect that the Dog food is the problem! I am going to have it tested for chemicals that should not be in it/and or traces menadione. If I lose my dogs Ol Roy execs will be sued! They are a part of my family and do not deserve to go through this kind of pain. I will keep everyone posted.

We bought a box of Ol' Roy Soft and Moist dog food. We gave it to our dog and each time after consuming it, he became ill. He'd lie around and barely move. We finally realized it had to be the food from Walmart. Right now he's lethargic and not eating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Ol' Roy's food killed my dog!! Bought the Ol' Roy peanut butter biscuits as a treat for my dog. He started having the same symptoms that others have claimed. Sleepy, didn't want to move, diarrhea, and vomiting. Spent over $1k at the vet to get him treatments. He didn't make it. My vet and I both believe it was due to Ol' Roy. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS.

I've never been so dissatisfied with a product in my life. The product you gave me made my dog bleed internally. I had to take him to the vet. Spent hundreds of dollars to find out that you made his intestines bleed from the inside. I do not recommend this dog treat ever. It is the worst thing ever. It should be taken off the market.

I have been buying the Ol' Roy 50 lb. bag, Complete Nutrition (red bag) at Walmart for more than a year now and have been fairly satisfied with it. My problem is last week none of the dogs wanted to eat it. The ones that did eat some were vomiting and their poop was a green watery slime. One almost died and could not even be bribed to eat his favorite snack (a frankfurter/wiener). We had to change to a totally different brand to be sure not to get a repeat of whatever was wrong. As soon as we gave the other dogs the new brand they scarfed it down like they were starving. We kept the bag and some of the food hoping someone would have answers. All dogs deserve the suppliers of their food to show great care in the processing of their food. So the question I have is, what happened?

Please if you feed your dog this food throw it out now. If you are considering feeding your dog this food DON'T! My son who lives with me while going back to school recently bought his very healthy 9 month old dog a bag of Ol Roy dog food to try to save money. I had no idea he had done this or I would have stopped him. He puts the food in a plastic bin so the bag is thrown out. We first noticed Luna the 9 month old active, healthy puppy who had all shots and heartworm treatment start to become lethargic. She just lost her zest for life and had a sad look on her face so I knew something was up. This was a Wednesday and her first time eating the ol Roy was the Monday. By the friday she started with diarrhea so I thought she had a little virus so I gave her some **. On Saturday she refused to eat anything. By Sunday we noticed she was even more lethargic.

We made the decision to take her first thing Monday morning to her vet to see what was going on. Early Monday morning I woke up and took her out for a walk. When she squatted to have a BM nothing but blood came out and I freaked out. I placed a before hours call to her vet. While waiting for his call back I hurried to get dressed so we would be prepared to go when he called back. I heard my son's wife screaming and crying. Luna was gone! She had that quickly died.

We were told by her vet that the probable cause of her rapid death was OL ROY DOG FOOD! He had seen this countless times before which is why he warns all his patients about the possible dangers when feeding this kibble. He said that this kibble often contains toxins that can be deadly to dogs. He also said that is the reason so many times the food is filled with toxic mold which can be seen and as well as mold spores which cannot be seen but are present. VERY SCARY! We are sharing this story in hopes that no one else has to suffer so great a loss to try to budget in a cheaper dog food. Oh and by the way we have 3 other dogs in our home which are on Beyond dog food and none of them became sick. This food should not even be on the market! Please don't feed your fur babies this trash.

This dog food is great. My dog loves it. He will eat this no matter what. Even when he's being picky and finicky, he'll always eat this brand. It's great dry or you can even get the gravy dry dog food and just add a little warm water. He'll feel like you made an excellent brown gravy just for him.

I've been feeding my dog Bear the Ol Roy dry food for several years and he's been relatively healthy, but a couple of weeks ago, he got gravely ill. Lethargic, threw up, glassy eyes, weak... so scary. We took him to the vet and spent almost $1000 on tests and they could not find anything. He didn't eat for several days, but got better, so we started giving him the kibble again and 3 days later, the same symptoms returned only worse. He was so sick that I started researching final arrangements online. This lasted for a couple of days and again, he got better. We were so happy, but once he started eating, it happened again. Had more tests and again, they couldn't find anything. We kept trying to figure out what in the world was causing our baby to get so ill that we thought he was going to die... we went over everything we could think of, then I started reading the reviews here and the symptoms were the same that Bear had!!

I am so upset that this company that I trusted has made so many pets ill and some have passed away! We have not given Bear any more of his kibble. Only gave him rice and chicken and he's back to his old self. The longer this goes without him being so ill again, the more we are certain that it was the Ol Roy Dog Food! I am so sorry that other's pets have gotten ill and have passed away. This is just not right!!

I think Ol Roy is a good dog food. I have five dogs that eat Ol Roy and they love it. Ol Roy is the only dog food my Great Dane ate and he lived to be twelve years old. Most Danes only live to be seven or eight. The vet said I must be feeding him right. Just wanted to tell people my experience.

I have never used this product before; I did it for the price but I regret it!!! My dog became sleepy, all the time, threw up, and the hair loss begun. As a pet owner, we know that every time you change dog food brand, your pet gets little sick to their stomachs, however with this Ol Roy poison my dog was throwing up more than my cat! Then his luscious fur became dull and begun to fall really bad, I would brush him for an hour, clean my house and within two hours my whole house was full of hair, in chucks! This is a terrible product! DO NOT BUY IT & report it to the BBB!

Me and my husband decided to use this brand of dog food a couple months ago. We had a chihuahua puppy and a border collie/boxer mix puppy. We got the dry dog food brand. Within hours of using it my border collie/boxer got extremely sick, lost a lot of weight, was not her normal energetic hyper self. And within about a week my Chihuahua got very sick diarrhea, vomit, losing weight. My border collie/boxer got better but unfortunately my Chihuahua passed away the same day as her vet appointment. We did not connect the dots that it was from the food we just thought they got a stomach bug from outside. Well recently we are dog sitting a Boston terrier and we had Ol Roy's wet dog food and this morning she started having bloody diarrhea and not her normal self. Do not buy this food it might be cheaper but it seriously harms the fur babies.

We purchased a 50 lb bag of Ol Roy complete nutrition. We fed our German short-haired/lab 1 meal and he became violently ill. He was vomiting blood, had diarrhea with blood in it. We had to take him to the vet. They gave him 4 different medications and a pro-biotic. After 4 days he still would not eat so I started him on white rice and chicken broth. He started to eat a little at a time. By 3 days out on rice and broth he was back to eating his normal 3 times a day. During this time my dog lost 30 pounds and almost his life. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. I learned the hard way after almost losing my best friend and a 750.00 vet bill later.

We have both large and small (mini dachshunds) dogs, and used the "soft and moist" packets, as well as Ol Roy dry food for inexpensive reasons. They were all hungry all the time in spite of twice daily feedings, plus their long-hair coats were dull and the dogs ALL 4 were scratching themselves, and there are no fleas present. Totally frustrated, we decided to switch feed, and found 4Health at the Tractor Supply Co. which is highly recommended, but expensive. Now, 2 weeks later, the dogs have quit scratching, their coats are shiny and soft and they eat only once a day WOW! Can't go "cheap" on these precious babies!!! Never again.

Decided to try a can of Ol' Roy dog food for my 4 month old GSD mix. I should have read the reviews first. Within an hour of eating one can she developed intense diarrhea and became very lethargic. She is very healthy and energetic usually and after reading what I've read about this company I am worried for my dog's life and praying she doesn't get any worse. I will never buy any products from Ol' Roy again and I'm going to inform everyone I know about how terrible a brand it is.

Where do I start, my husband got a bag of the Ol Roy (similar to the Beneful brand). At first I started finding these white worm things all over my house, mostly where the dogs are. Figuring they got worms from the cat behind our house. So we treated the dogs for worms, and they still had them in their poop. Then these things started to massively reproduce faster than rabbits. Well one morning I woke up to find a small bump on my arm that looked like a pimple then another then another then another. To make a long story short, I noticed the worms in my poop. Went to the doctor, got treated to the tune of $354.00 for just 4 pills. Still didn't work. Now they are burrowing out of my skin, both arms, legs and the side of my scalp. They are eating through my hardwood floors and Orkin didn't even work. My furniture is getting burrowed into. My dog is now ill with the same symptoms as everyone else's.

My doctor and my Vet are working together on trying to find out what this is. They have taken samples and sent them to the entomology department at UI. Both of them said they have no idea what they are dealing with now. Please email me if you have any questions **. As soon as I have any answers I will post them. Mine and my dogs life are at risk at this point. We have no idea what is going to happen next, I have samples and photos, I just have to upload them, they scare you.

I purchased Ol' Roy food for my puppies because of the great price/oz ratio. And out of the blue, days later, both within hours of each other, were extremely sick!!! Very lethargic and not eating, not drinking, vomiting like crazy and VERY foul smelling BLOODY and watery stools. Our Bullmastiff pup starting getting better five days after switching dog food but our little Chihuahua has not!!! She has lost so much weight and has gotten way worse! Vet at first said to give them boiled chicken and rice as well as Pedialyte but now since unresponsive she requires hospitalization which I cannot afford!!! All we are left to do is pray she doesn't die and continue to nurse her. I WILL NEVER BUY OL' ROY AGAIN!!! HORRIBLE COMPANY.

I just bought a bag of Ol Roy puppy chow a few days ago. Ever since my datsuns has eaten it they have an upset stomach and diarrhea. If I didn't know better and my babies would've gotten badly ill and died I would have someone's **... They are my kids.

Been feeding our dogs regular flavor for years with no significant issues. Bought bacon flavor a few days ago. Yesterday the german shepherd started vomiting clear mucus and then again today but otherwise acting normal, so put him outside in the pen and ran to do a few errands, got home and found him dead. Coincidence?

I used to use Old Roy dry dog food to save money; I feed a lot of dogs. I decided to try another brand for better quality, but due to expense I decided to try and save money again and bought a large bag of Old Roy. It looks like the dregs from the bottom of the tank. Mostly just smashed kibbles. I will never buy Old Roy again!

To save money we switched to Ol Roy dog food. Within days my pomeranian became very sick. Breathing hard, lethargic, vomiting, etc... We had to put her down today. Today I read about this dog food that comes from WAL-MART. Dogs are dying from similar symptoms. Something has to be done. I cannot believe this has happened.

We have a full blooded almost 2 year old Pit bull. He is a big sweetie. He has ate Ol' Roy since he was a puppy. He never would gain a lot of weight and he would rather eat people food over his dog food (but what dog wouldn't). He didn't show a lot of signs with having issues with the food. I didn't think anything about it but I am happy I looked into his dog food. After reading all these reviews I called my husband and told him that Loki was to come off of this food immediately. That night after I got home from work, we went to the store and stood on the dog food aisle for about 20-30 minutes trying to find the perfect food. Finally we agreed on Just 6 by Rachael Ray. We got home and poured him some of his new food and he started eating.

He ran out the other night and before I could get home with the other bag my mother-in-law poured some of the Ol' Roy in his bowl and then called and told me he wouldn't eat it. I am happy he will no longer eat this food. I put him on different treats as well and he can no longer have cheap unhealthy treats (he won't even eat them). My dog is so much happier and healthier. He has started gaining weight and has become more healthy looking. His eyes have also cleared up a lot more and are not red and irritated looking. I advise all pet owners to not sacrifice their fur babies health to save a few bucks. In the end it will save their life.

Purchased a box of Ol'Roy dog food for our small dog. We have been using it for some time. I opened a container with expiry date of 2018 and the food was full of bacteria and was blackened with rot and decay. These are the actual photos with lot numbers. The smell was hideous! This changed our minds on buying this product. Whatever is in it, it's not natural and is full of bacteria. If I gave this to my dog, she would of died. I purchased this at the Walmart in New Minas, Nova Scotia Canada.

I filed a complaint with the FDA and am submitting my review on Ol Roy Pet Foods. The end of May 2016 I purchase a bag of dry Ol Roy at my local Walmart. I feed my 4 year old pug boiled chicken and rice - and I always mix that with some dry dog food. I fed him like I normally do. Approx a week later my dog started with intense diarrhea. The following day he vomited both his breakfast and dinner. The next morning once again he vomited breakfast. I then called his vet and made an appoint for that evening at 5pm. Other than vomiting, he seemed active and alert. A few hours later that completely changed. Fortunately I was home! He was cold, listless and limp. Instead of waiting until his 5pm appointment - I realized he was in seriously grave shape. I rushed him to the vet. He was admitted. They put him on heat support, IVs, took X-rays and did bloodwork.

2 hours later my vet called me- his liver levels were so high they couldn't even get an exact reading! He said my dog needed to be transported to the animal emergency room where he had to undergo an ultrasound. My pug spent the next few days in intensive care at the animal ER. More tests and blood work were done. He had an "acute insult" to his liver and it is believed to be from a toxin. I spent days searching my house and yard for any possible exposure to a toxin and found nothing. Then for some odd reason I looked up his dog food, Ol Roy, and came across this horrific page of reviews! I can't believe Walmart would sell this stuff when people's pets are dying. So far, I've spent nearly 3500 dollars and my dog still isn't back to where he was. He is still very sick from this. For the next few months he will have regular blood tests done, he is on about 4 different medications to make him better.

Please to anyone who reads this never buy this food! I was lucky that I was home to rush him to the vet - because if I wasn't, I don't think he would be alive today. The first vet cost me 450, then a couple hours later the animal ER cost me 2500, plus his visits since then - getting more meds and blood work add up to another 500. I'm including a copy of the ER bill just so everyone who thinks saving a few dollars on dog food won't cost you big time in the end. Oh it does! Fortunately he is still alive!

Due to financial considerations, we switched from Pupperoni to Walmart Jerky Strips. We have 3 dogs: Westie, Border Collie, and a Bernese mountain dog. Since switching to the Walmart brand, the Bernese has had diarrhea and runs when he sees a stick treat, the Westie has refused to eat it, and the Border Collie now has pancreatitis ($300 vet bill) and ruined the bedroom and hall carpets by passing blood with stool (dog is housebroken). Nothing else was changed in their diet, no table scraps, and we searched the yard for anything that may have caused the issue.

If the dogs were asked to rate it, they would probably give it three paws down. BTW, lot # is 6069804220216. Expiration date is 09/01/17. Suffice to say we are extremely dissatisfied with their product. We are submitting this review to help other pet owners become aware of an unsatisfactory, possibly fatal, product. Please take your dog to the vet if the dog shows signs of lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and bright red blood being passed through stool. If we had not taken the dog to the vet, he probably would have passed away in two days, according to the vet.

I have one dog that's been in my family for years and at the time I had two rescues that I was fostering until I found homes for. One of the rescues had problems digesting a lot of the higher quality grain free foods and I made a decision on a whim to try Ol Roy's dog food. Somewhat as a last resort because her stomach would get so upset with everything I was trying. Her stomach seemed to handle the food fine, however, it caused all my dogs to have allergic reactions. I didn't put two and two together for months as my vet kept telling me that the reactions were caused by fleas. After purchasing over $600 in products to fight fleas to even include spraying my yard and antibiotics from the vet they were still itching and having the reaction. My Shiba Inu almost had a complete loss of undercoat. So I changed everything. I didn't let them outside as much. I tried different shampoos, multiple flea products.

The only thing that stayed the same was the food because I never thought the dog food would be unsafe. My poor dogs have red bumps all over them and have lost considerable amount of hair before I finally figured out that Ol Roy's dog food was causing it. I started to research the food and have come across terrible ratings from not only other consumers but people who scientifically test dog food as well. I feel like a terrible pet owner letting them endure this uncomfortable reaction not even realizing that it was the poor quality of food that I was giving them. I have switched their food and they are happy. I will never purchase dog food again without doing research. It makes me sick that people trust companies to make decent food for their furry family members and the company is slowly poisoning them through their food. Stay away from this dog food.

I was at Walmart on Thursday the 19 of May and I was looking at milk bones and I saw some pig ears next to them with the other treats. So I think it would be nice to try something different. Well the next day my dog was peeing a lot but as I noticed the second time I took her out this was not normal for her in the 4 years we have raised her. Well I found out by just giving her one pig ear gave her a urinary tract infection and sores on the inside of her ears. Her skin is peeling away bc it is so hard and crusty in some places on the inside of her ears. I made a grave mistake and I will never buy this product ever and I will make sure that others know this. Because my dog could have died if I wasn't a caring dog owner. My two dogs are my kids to me. I would've been heartbroken. I'm sorry for those who have lost their loved ones. Please don't ever buy this product of any kind. My girl dog is still having problems with her ears with this infection. I'm praying it will go away.

After feeding my dogs about a third of a 50# bag of dog food I found a few HUGE clumps of moldy dog food!!! I hope and pray they did not eat any!!! I immediately threw the rest of the bag in the trash. The food is stored in a cool, dry place so I know this did not happen after we bought it (4 days after opening it)!!!

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Profile