Ol Roy Pet Foods

Stars Rating

• 3%
  • 97%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2023

My dog is a chewer... and loves these 6" rawhide bones. She is a small dog..so these are big for her. She gnaws and chews on these... breaking off very small bits at a time. We have never had a choking or throwing-up problem. We also remove it when it becomes a nub.. or too small for her to hold... as I am aware some dogs without supervision will swallow too big of pieces without chewing. My dog will throw up or have an upset stomach with other brands that are not rawhide... so we LOVE these. Please keep them on the market.

Reviewed July 25, 2023

I gave my dog a Munchy Bone, dog treat on Sunday, 7/23/23. She started vomiting about 10 min. after she ate it, then again about 15 min. after that. Now it is the day after Monday 7/24/23, she only vomited once today but not eating much. My husky is a very abused rescue pup, we got her to give her a better life and give her lots of love not misery. This dog has been through enough Walmart, there are a lot of bad reviews and dogs getting killed, shame on you! Walmart we trust you with our best friends and here you are taking them away from us and breaking our hearts, and making us miserable! I called Walmart Corporate office to make a complaint, please call them and make them aware of what they are doing to our dogs and us! 1-800-walmart.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 18, 2023

On Sunday, July 16th, 2023 at 16:08:34, I purchased an Ol' Roy Natural Pork Femur Bone for my dog at Walmart. Shortly after purchasing this bone, I gave it to my dog after I returned home. During the late evening on Sunday, July 16th, 2023, my dog started vomiting and then came the diarrhea. My dog has been this way since Sunday and has not been eating her regular dog food. It is now Tuesday, July 18th, 2023 and she still had not eaten her dog food. I finally made her some bland chicken and rice and she had finally eaten a little but not much. I am very disappointed in this product and think this crap needs to be recalled!

Reviewed July 16, 2023

My husband picked up Ol’ Roy dry dog food due to our usual brand being out of stock one day. All three of our dogs shortly after started eating grass. Two of our dogs are huskies, so don’t eat a huge amount generally anyway. None of the dogs ate with the vigour they use to. My youngest husky would only eat less than half of what she would normally eat. My lab ate most of his portions. My oldest husky would eat almost half, when she felt like eating. Her entire life she often skipped a meal, so it wasn’t something that raised a concern for us yet.

Within 2 1/2 weeks, my older husky suddenly just stopped eating entirely. Even putting bacon or anything else that generally would entice her to eat wouldn’t work. She was still drinking and going out to pee as usual. Within 4 days, she was stumbling and dragging her feet when she walked and throwing up. My husband and son had to pick her up to carry her outside. We don’t live where there is a vet, so communicated with the vet via messages, and sending videos of her breathing and walking. She informed me that my girl appeared to in heart failure.

Later that day, she passed away in the backseat of my van in my son's arms, on the way to the closest vet care we could get her to. The only thing that changed in our dogs' diets and routine was the food. They were never outside unsupervised, so I know 100% they did not get into anything to cause the change and the sudden decline in the health of my older dog, and ultimately her death. I’m heartbroken and wish more than anything that I had read the reviews before giving this food to my dog, because reading other reviews of others people's dogs reads exactly as what happened to my Lucy. We are lost without her and the grief is hurting my lab so much, that he hides away by himself 90% of the time no matter what we do. My wish is that others will read this before giving their pups this food like I should have done.

Reviewed May 20, 2023

I bought this food for my pups 2 days ago. Yesterday one of them was lethargic and not eating. Took it to the vet where they xrayed the pup and the food. This food is FULL of ground up bone which caused a blockage in his intestines. It almost killed my puppy!!!

Reviewed March 4, 2023

I had bought a big bag of the Ol Roy dog food for my 2 dogs and had got home and set it down then is when I realized something was moving in it. The figure is what looked like a mouse figure! I won't be buying this horrible dog food and I don't suggest it to anyone else for your animals. I refuse to feed my dogs mouse crap and other bad things that could be In it. Mind you I haven't even opened it. I'll be taking it back and possibly suing the company. This is completely uncalled for!!!

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2023

I have provided many different types of chews and bones for my pups. I bought the stuffed bones as a treat. Within an hour my dog was having seizures. She also vomited with obvious filling pieces in it. Please stay away.

Reviewed June 27, 2022

This is the worst dry dog food you can get. Would you want to eat food that has zero nutritional value and does more harm than good? If not, why feed your dog this stuff? It has animal byproducts and is comparable to feeding your dog junk food. We just rescued a dog that had been fed Ol Roy. Even the animal control officer said how bad it is. She loves the food that we give her and always leaves a clean bowl. There are plenty of dry dog foods out there that are way better. Just do your research. Your dog deserves better.

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2022

We been buying the 24pk of canned food for 2 years now, our 3 small dogs love it..lately I been seeing black jelly like material in the cans of chicken and rice, I don't know what it is, has anyone else seen this?

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2022

I have two old small dogs, one is 17 years old and one is 19 years old, one has no teeth, and I love Ol Roy pouches. It is easy for them to eat and they gobble it up. They love it. I lost my job because of the pandemic of 11 years, so I am thankful that Ol Roy always has good quality and great prices. And before they had a hard time chewing until I bought Ol Roy pouch food. Now they eat 3 bags each at a time. They love it! Thanks.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2021

My 4 year old Australian shepherd/lab mix, Max, had been eating the food for around a week when he had a seizure. He ate his breakfast and around 15 minutes later he was foaming at the mouth and bleeding from his nose he was shaking and crying. I'm more than positive the dog food caused it.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2021

Ol Roy took my best friend of 8 years from me! On 10/9/21 my husband & I went grocery shopping & as usual we bought Kash’s dog food but Walmart was out of his “normal” dog food. I’m assuming due to the shortage. So we bought Ol Roy dry dog food for the first time. It was a Saturday evening when we bought it & by Wednesday I noticed Kash had stopped eating. My dog had a big appetite so I knew something was off when he didn’t eat. He became fatigue & was laying around a lot more than normal. Then he started having bloody diarrhea & vomiting & walking like he was drunk, his eyes were very red. He became very weak & couldn’t stand. He then passed away a few days later.

I remembered we had switched his dog food to Ol Roy so I looked online & found so many more stories of dogs getting severely sick or dying! I’m so heartbroken that this happened & is still happening. I don’t understand how this dog food is still being sold after so many dogs have become sick & died because of this poison! That’s exactly what it is is poison! It needs to be taken off the shelves! Someone has to stand up for our furry friends! This needs to stop! I’m sharing my story in hopes of helping and saving other dogs!

Reviewed May 26, 2021

I have never fed my 3 dogs Ol Roys food before but decided to give it a try one time when I didn't feel up to going to the store that sells the brand of food I normally use. I really wish I hadn't been so lazy. I mixed some of their old food with the new Ol Roys dry food, topping their meal off with some Ol Roys canned food for a little gravy mix. My dogs are little guys so I am always very good about not overfeeding them. Imagine my surprise when one of them started getting very bloated and constipated right away, another one became very sleepy and quit eating her food, and the third dog began vomiting after finishing his meal. This all happened after one small meal, which I thought at first could just be related to the change in the new food.

However, with each meal throughout the week, the dogs would all get sick. I knew it was this brand of food because they had been fine before I made the change, and their sickness came on so suddenly after eating the first meal. We pulled them off the food, threw it away, and started them back on the food that worked well for them before. I never should have changed their food, and I never should have been lazy and gone with Ol Roy. It's a dangerous product that should not be on the market. PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS FOOD OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THIS BRAND...IT WILL HARM YOUR PET. It messed my dog's systems up so bad they still aren't back to normal.

Reviewed April 27, 2021

After reading these reviews on Ol Roy dog food, I am very concerned. My chiweenie started eating this food and after a case, has become very ill. We took him to the vet and he now has liver failure and heart failure. He was vomiting and brought him into the vet and we are convinced that this fog food is what hot him very ill. There is no hope for him and have to make the difficult decision to have to put him down, so he will stop suffering. Before eating this dog food, he was healthy and happy. Our Chiweenie has been with our family for 13 years, our whole family is devastated.

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2021

I had just adopted a German Shepherd who is an aggressive chewer and loves treats. I got these dog treats as an afternoon treat before dinner. He literally threw up 3 times within minutes of finishing it. Knew it was the treat cause the only other thing he's eaten all day was a milk bone treat he's been eating all week. I was really hoping this would be a good treat for him as it wasn't too expensive but no. Will never get any Ol Roy dog food again. They must have done something different cause I never had this problem 8 years ago with my other dogs.

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2020

We bought a bag of Ol Roy dry dog food for our dogs. Our Rottweiler ate some of it and was very sleepy. I did not realise that it could be the food. Our Pekingese was less lucky. We took her to the vet as she became very ill after consuming the Ol Roy food. She was vomiting and blood started coming out with her very runny stool. The Vet told us that it seemed as though she had been poisoned. They could not pull her through. We had to try and trace what could have poisoned her or made her ill. When I mentioned we changed their food to Ol Roy our Vet was very concerned. He said that we should stop giving it immediately. Our Rottweiler luckily survived but reading all the reviews here I am certain it was the Ol Roy food that made our dogs sick and was responsible for the death of our Pekingese.

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2020

We noticed our pit bull was throwing up immediately after eating this brand of food. We purchased a new brand right away however as I was dumping the 50 pound bag of food, I found a dead mouse, explains why he was getting sick.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2020

DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP. It causes digestive issues and urinary tract infections in dogs. The item was substituted in a home delivery grocery order and was not my choice. Within just two feedings my dog became ill but I didn't know it was this canned food. The next time this canned food was served several weeks later my dog again became ill with the same issues. Do not buy this product and throw it out immediately if you have.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2020

I bought the their puppy chow for my 7 month old lab/pit mix thinking it'd be a better choice. She has become very lethargic and can't stop throwing up. Poor thing is miserable! Never again. Don't do it.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed July 22, 2020

Due to pandemic and shortage of specific dog foods I attempted to order Pedigree and Ol Roy from Walmart. Of course they provided Ol Roy. My dog became very ill after 2 days barely able to walk requiring Veterinarian care. $250 later and an array of antibiotics and steroids thankfully my Neiko seems to be recovering. In hindsight this same thing happened two years back to both my labs again after being fed Ol Roy that visit requiring more extensive care, tests and overnight stay (2-3 days) ran us well over $2,000. If your furry baby hasn't yet experienced illness due to this food it is just a matter of time... Don't risk it!

Reviewed July 19, 2020

I recently bought Ol' Roy jerky sticks (beef flavor) from Walmart to try and save money. I usually buy different treats from Petsmart to give him a variety and to see which ones he likes the best. I never had a problem until now. I barely got into the bag before they started messing with his stomach. He had really bad gas and constantly pooping. We immediately knew what was wrong and basically threw the whole bag away. I'm hoping since we caught it early it won't be too much of a problem. I'm not saying it doesn't work for other dogs, I personally will never buy ol'roy products again because it makes him sick.

Reviewed July 5, 2020

Just bought 2 dog bones and when I went to open them up they had mold on them. White and blue green mold!!! This is disgusting!! NEVER buying anything from them again. Wish I could give negative stars.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2020

I have a 3 mo old puppy and when I got him he got antiparasitic meds that all puppies get. Well I decided to give him Ol’ Roy canned puppy food. Huge mistake. I thought the diarrhea was from the meds then I thought it was odd it wasn’t going away. Turns out it’s the canned food!! After weeks of giving it to my poor pup I took him off Ol’ Roy to another brand and he got sooo much better so quickly. He put on some weight and had solid poops and could now hold it through the night instead of exploding in his kennel. Don’t buy this if you love your pup. He will get super sick!!!

Reviewed April 21, 2020

So...I bought a bag of Ol Roy dog food...a giant red bag...dogs ate it for 2 days...then things turned bad...real bad...they started acting drunk...could barely walk or stand...threw up - you guessed it - dog food!! I took them to the vet where they were given fluids...today is day 2 of no Ol Roy dog food...the dogs are showing great improvement...when I looked it up this morning I found out there had been an issue of ** Being found in this and other brands... My dogs almost died because of this food!!!

Reviewed April 5, 2020

Because of the panic buying due to the Corona virus, the only thing Wal Mart had was Ol Roy chicken and oatmeal. Now I know why. Within a week of giving it to my 14 year old dog, she went downhill fast, soon she was unable to move, and lay panting to the point when I though was going to die. It was only after talking to a vet and doing research we discovered how toxic and dangerous this food is. We took her off the food and trashed the bag. She improved within hours. DO NOT GIVE THIS RUBBISH TO YOUR PET. It was withdrawn a few years back for poisoning dogs, and yet it's back on the shelves when it shouldnt even be on sale. It's about time someone started a class action lawsuit against the unscrupulous manufacturers, and the retailers (wal mart) who knowingly sell this muck.

Coverage

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2020

I purchased Ol Roy High Protein beef and lamb flavor from Walmart on S Post Oak in Houston due to them switching the bag to a nicer look. Thought I would give them a try that maybe they use better products now but after my dog eating 1 half a bowl around 3am...5 hours after she ate half a bowl I woke up to 3 piles of poop on my carpet and when I got up to grab her and take her out to poop I slipped in this so now I'm covered in it. To top it off after taking her to get cleaned and spending 4 hours of scrubbing my floors from poop she shoots out pure dark red blood infused with diarrhea covering my backseat ....Fml for real bro....Now it's 10:30pm almost time to go to sleep for work in the morning and I gotta get up every hour and take her out so my home won't get disgusting dog poop everywhere....idk what they put in this stuff but it's not for dog consumption..

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2020

I am agreeing with the reviews that the treats are awful. I gave my dogs Ol Roy dog biscuits and all of them became sick. My puppy had severe stomach bloat and was inconsolable. My two year old quit eating and would vomit multiple times throughout the day. After prayer I discovered it is the Ol Roy dog biscuits. I have read the review about it being the owner's fault and I completely disagree. I am a responsible dog owner and I do not just switch treats. These were the only dog biscuits that I have given my dogs. After stopping these treats all of the negative symptoms have disappeared. My two year old dog is starting to eat again.

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2019

I have a Papillon weighs 10 lbs. He won't eat nothing but Ol Roy. It's a small square container. He absolutely loves it???? Not to be rude or sound like a smart ** but the negative reviews I've read seem to be the owners' fault not the food or treats. It's common sense if you change your dogs foods or treats they will get sick from it because you're throwing their body into shock from what they normally eat. Any vet will tell you if you change their diet they may have runny stool, vomiting, cramps, etc till their body adjusts. A lot of breeds will form tumors as they age but usually benign tumors. So you can't positively say it's Ol Roy products causing issues unless you have had food tested by a licensed company and a autopsy done on your pet to prove it was the food. Educate yourself on animals and products so you're good parents to your 4 legged babies.

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2019

I’ve purchased the Ol’roy dog food for one of my dogs and within a few months she started developing skin growth (little tumors) and then started losing her hair on the back. I thought it was because she was aging, never would’ve guessed it was the food, but I had a hunch to change her food and switched over to Science Diet and the tumors stopped growing and multiplying and 60% of the hair grew back. By mistake I purchased the dog treats a month ago and one of my dogs is having heart issues and cough amplified and the other has blood in her stool. This food should be banned or taken some drastic measures. Lots of money for a painful death sentence for your furry friends! Stay away!

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2019

I have two dogs which they're both like children to me!!! Well I picked up a bag of Ol Roy. Always heard good things but NOOO my older pup has been having diarrhea so bad and the worst gas and just threw up and this all started after him eating this food and my younger pup has had the worst smelling poop and terrible gas!!! This is so scary for me and my pups to go through!!! PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS FOOD. But honestly could be different with each dog. I will say I called customer service for a refund and they was more than happy to help so I very much appreciate that!

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information