2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have 3 Bull Mastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree.

My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a brindle and they can be probe to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications. Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet.

I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have had dogs for at least 40 years. I’ve always used Iams and have never had to see a vet for any reason but routine care. My dogs have always liked the flavor and I have never had to supplement it with any wet food. My local food store carries it and is very price competitive with dog food chains. I realize no grain food is popular, but I believe it is not the best choice.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We have been using Iams brand for years now. There has been several times I would buy something else just because of commercial or packaging and thought it might be fun for him try. NOPE and No way would he have it. We always went right back to Iams. More importantly, the quality of ingredients are exceptional. Thank you.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Iams Dog Food comes in several flavors for different stages of growth and health of your canine. If switching from one type to another it is best to mix them from the original to the new flavor, gradually increasing the new flavor until the old one is replaced. There have been no digestive issues with multiple dogs or breeds and we have had purebreds and mixed breeds.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My dogs have eaten Iams for over 15 yrs and most people tell me that my dog looks like she is 6 yrs old. I contribute this to Iams, keep up the good work. My dogs Cockers love it. They are spunky and healthy, to people that are starting out on Iams do not settle for other dog foods that have constant recalls due to bad food. Settle for one of the best Iams, also if switching from one food to another you have to give it time and yes your pup will go through some extra potty stops due to change but once your dog eats this food he or she may live to be one of the oldest dogs of their breed as mine will hopefully live till she is 22 yrs old. TY Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

We have had our dog on the large breed, ProActive Health (green bag) for 5 years with no problems. He is now 9, so we thought we would move to the senior/mature formula. We started this about two months ago. Immediately when we started to mix a little in with his current food, his stool started getting softer. We also got a new foster/adopt pupper at the same time, so we thought it may have had something to do with stress or just the additional treats he was getting. His stool got softer as we mixed in more of mature formula.

Once we had him fully transitioned after about a month of gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old, he had a couple of nights where he either woke us up to go outside, or if he couldn't wake us, pooped on the bathroom floor. It was very runny and sickly looking. After three nights of this, we immediately switched him back to his old formula. His stool improved right away, with no more late night accidents. We now have him back on the green bag IAMS, though after reading some of the reviews here, I think we may be changing that, too.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Have used IAMs for a year. Usually get small bites chicken or low fat. I have a German Shepherd and four little dogs. Two of my dogs gave bad stool. Smells bad too. It’s runny and just awful. My German Shepherd won’t eat it. I thought they got into something but couldn’t figure out what. Nothing was there to get. So I started researching and found I’m not the only person having this issue. I started giving my dogs rice with chicken broth to cleanse their little systems out. I am calling IAMs too. Looking for a new dog food. Don’t get this dog food.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Just like everyone else we brought home this food and the same 24 hr period my dog woke us up twice to go outside with diarrhea. Next night the same.... I decided to look and see if anyone else had the same problem with Iam’s and sure enough.... This food should be pulled from the shelves.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I opened a new bag of Iams mini chunks for my dog. There is something about the shape of the chunks that seems different. I am wondering if the formula/ingredients have changed. My dog became violently ill, vomiting the food mixed with heavy mucus and bile. I took her off the food and put her on rice. She started doing better. After a couple days, I started mixing the Iams back in and now she has terrible diarrhea. Is there a recall? I’m seeing similar posts here. I’ll be switching from the Iams.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I just started giving my dog Iams chicken (green bag) a few months ago. I noticed she was getting constipation/diarrhea. I thought she just had a sensitive stomach. It kept getting worse where I had to be standing outside with my dog for hours for her to have diarrhea and vomit. She lost lots of weight and being lethargic within a week and wouldn't drink any water. I started feeding her chicken and rice for about 5 days and she is already looking fuller and normal. So, Thanks for making my dog so sick. It was hard seeing her go through that... Also wtf are you putting in this food.

Not sure about Iams Dog Food?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Iams Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and today is one of the world's best-known pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information