2.9/5 (1440 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Pros

• Real animal protein
  • Added fibers and prebiotics

Cons

• Previously recalled
  • Few grain-free options

Bottom Line

Dog food recipes are made with animal protein from chicken, beef, lamb and turkey. Recipes contain whole grains and are supplemented with antioxidants, prebiotics and fiber. Find formulas for dogs in all stages of life.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Iams Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: July 14, 2022

My dogs love Iams. We feed them dry kibble mixed with canned. I was feeding Blue Buffalo and it was horrible. My GSD had a horrible smell and a greasy coat. We switched to Iams and it's all went away. Most recent vet visit, her exact comment was "They're perfect, what are you feeding them".

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I raised Toy Poodles, for 18- 20 years, on Iams dry puppy food, and I still feed it to my Border Collie and tiny Pomeranian!!! I have NEVER had ANY PUPS, WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS. THEY HAVE THICK, RICH SHINY COATS, and the only Vet bills I have ever had, were shots, & worming!!!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I switched my dogs from Beneful dog food to Iams. As of now we have been doing good on it. They seem to enjoy it. So we will be sticking with this dog food for a while. We also used Redford dog food. It was great. Only problem was that they only sold it at one pet store. That was very inconvenient.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I like Iams Proactive Health Pate with chicken and whole grain rice because our picky dog likes it. He generally will eat a whole can at a time. That is all I have to say now. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I have fed my Dobermans Iams healthy weight dry dog food for 2 1/2 years. One of my Dobermans started puking randomly. He also was reluctantly eating the kibble for about a month. I also mixed 1/2 can of royal canin digestive care. About 3 weeks ago his brother suddenly got extreme diarrhea at 1:00 in the morning. Took him to the vet and they found absolutely nothing wrong with him. Three days later they both had severe diarrhea. Even though they were on diarrhea meds from the vet.

I pulled the Iams and only fed them the royal canin digestive care canned. Diarrhea stopped in both dogs after 2 feedings Of canned only. I fed them canned only for 5 days. No puking, no diarrhea. Started to introduce iams back in slowly. Only a 1/2 cup iams dry with royal canin canned. 3 hours later diarrhea in both. Took them back off. Tried again 2 days later with 1/4 cup of iams in morning. Both had diarrhea by the end of the day with severe gas. Needless to say I am switching to another brand of dry dog food. I don’t know if it was just the 2 bags I had bought or what but I can’t take anymore chances with iams.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Bought a green bag of small chunk chicken kibble for my pack, who usually have good appetites, and immediately started having problems. They became listless, vomited, and ate reluctantly. So I started researching and discovered discussions going all the way back to 2011 from many, many dog owners who talked about their canines getting very sick and dying. Apparently the food has a type of mold that produces a toxin similar to rat poison that destroys the liver and kidneys, and rancid fats that trigger pancreatitis and severe GI distress. Since this has been going on for at least a decade, it's pretty obvious Iams doesn't give a damn. I switched to another brand immediately and it's back to happy dogs, so hopefully whatever damage was caused will heal.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I didn’t know that Iams has been causing all sorts of health issues until it happened to my dog 2 days ago. I got a few bags of Iams dog food from a friend whose pup passed away. My 4-year-old Lab mix started throwing up on 4/6/22 and has been throwing up since. Not to mention she has had bloody diarrhea. I had to take her to the vet ER and they couldn’t find anything wrong other than irritation in her colon. They did X-rays and blood work.

After almost $1000 vet bill we determined it was her food, which was the green bag of Iams. She is on the chicken and rice diet right now. She hasn’t been throwing up as often and her stool is becoming more solid. How is Iams still able to sell their dog food after it has caused so many pets to have bloody diarrhea, vomiting, neurological problems and even as far as seizures? This isn’t okay or fair to those who have been put through so much just because they thought they were feeding their dog a good quality dog food.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Bought the mini chunks for my small dog. Mixed it in slowly with her old food, and within a week she had diarrhea, going out in the yard every hour and a half to two hours to have a loose runny bowel movement, and has vomited once, yellow bile. I will now be feeding her chicken and rice if she will eat. Hope this doesn't cause a vet visit, and more important, hope there isn't anything wrong with her now. I will never purchase this food again.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Like many other people here my dog experienced the same out of control diarrhea and lethargy. This product was recommended by the local vet, as they said that blue buffalo, which I had been feeding him was not very good. Well I tell you one thing he never had projectile diarrhea from blue buffalo. This crap is going in the trash, and I’m ** pissed that this is even marketed for dogs.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I bought Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food ONLY because they were out of his pure balance puppy food and he has been vomiting and diarrhea and lethargic. He has always been an energetic happy puppy but now he is too sick. He hasn’t been running around playing with his toys. I’m scared for my baby, I don’t like this.

Iams Dog Food Company Information