2.9/5 (1437 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Pros

• Real animal protein
  • Added fibers and prebiotics

Cons

• Previously recalled
  • Few grain-free options

Bottom Line

Dog food recipes are made with animal protein from chicken, beef, lamb and turkey. Recipes contain whole grains and are supplemented with antioxidants, prebiotics and fiber. Find formulas for dogs in all stages of life.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Iams Dog Food

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: April 9, 2022

I didn’t know that Iams has been causing all sorts of health issues until it happened to my dog 2 days ago. I got a few bags of Iams dog food from a friend whose pup passed away. My 4-year-old Lab mix started throwing up on 4/6/22 and has been throwing up since. Not to mention she has had bloody diarrhea. I had to take her to the vet ER and they couldn’t find anything wrong other than irritation in her colon. They did X-rays and blood work.

After almost $1000 vet bill we determined it was her food, which was the green bag of Iams. She is on the chicken and rice diet right now. She hasn’t been throwing up as often and her stool is becoming more solid. How is Iams still able to sell their dog food after it has caused so many pets to have bloody diarrhea, vomiting, neurological problems and even as far as seizures? This isn’t okay or fair to those who have been put through so much just because they thought they were feeding their dog a good quality dog food.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I raised Toy Poodles, for 18- 20 years, on Iams dry puppy food, and I still feed it to my Border Collie and tiny Pomeranian!!! I have NEVER had ANY PUPS, WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS. THEY HAVE THICK, RICH SHINY COATS, and the only Vet bills I have ever had, were shots, & worming!!!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I switched my dogs from Beneful dog food to Iams. As of now we have been doing good on it. They seem to enjoy it. So we will be sticking with this dog food for a while. We also used Redford dog food. It was great. Only problem was that they only sold it at one pet store. That was very inconvenient.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I like Iams Proactive Health Pate with chicken and whole grain rice because our picky dog likes it. He generally will eat a whole can at a time. That is all I have to say now. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Bought the mini chunks for my small dog. Mixed it in slowly with her old food, and within a week she had diarrhea, going out in the yard every hour and a half to two hours to have a loose runny bowel movement, and has vomited once, yellow bile. I will now be feeding her chicken and rice if she will eat. Hope this doesn't cause a vet visit, and more important, hope there isn't anything wrong with her now. I will never purchase this food again.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Like many other people here my dog experienced the same out of control diarrhea and lethargy. This product was recommended by the local vet, as they said that blue buffalo, which I had been feeding him was not very good. Well I tell you one thing he never had projectile diarrhea from blue buffalo. This crap is going in the trash, and I’m ** pissed that this is even marketed for dogs.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I bought Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food ONLY because they were out of his pure balance puppy food and he has been vomiting and diarrhea and lethargic. He has always been an energetic happy puppy but now he is too sick. He hasn’t been running around playing with his toys. I’m scared for my baby, I don’t like this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Iams chicken minichunks in the green bag - DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG. I have been feeding this to my dog for at least 6 months. Two weeks ago he started vomiting and having horrific, bloody, mucusy diarrhea. I took him to the emergency vet the next day. They did x-rays, blood tests, stool tests, and they saw nothing. They gave him an injection to rehydrate him. $1,000 dollars later we were sent home. They gave him antibiotics and recommended the "bland diet" of chicken and rice and he was all better.

We integrated the kibble back into his diet and at 4 am this morning I woke up to him panting and running around in circles which I (now) know means he is about to have diarrhea everywhere. Luckily I got him outside in time but he had violent diarrhea - so bad that he had blood dripping down his bottom. The same thing happened 3 hours later. Apparently, the blood is indicative of colon inflammation which is likely from food. I called the vet and they said to take him off the food immediately. My next stop is looking online for class action lawsuits or compensation. I cannot believe so many people have had the same miserable experience. I'm so glad my dog is ok, but this should not be on shelves. This food is going in the trash.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Charlie usually gets Pro Pac, but I was out and picked up a bag of Iams- the ingredients looked good. A couple of nights anything since then but biscuits ago he had to go out twice in the night and pooped once in the house, and had refused to eat anything since then but biscuits. I dumped out the Iams, got Pro Pac and he's gobbling it up. Looked on here and discovered Iams has some really bad reviews- some dogs have gotten seriously sick from it! I'm glad he was stubborn enough to refuse to eat it!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I have a 4 year old female White Swiss Shepherd that I thought I was going to lose just a few short weeks ago. I have had dogs my whole life.. I have always feed my dogs IAMS and never had any issues... until recently... it started a few months.. My dog has been eating IAMS Adult Minichunks Chicken Flavor for 4 years... a few months ago she became very ill and was throwing up and had severe diarrhea. This went on for over a week.. I started feeding her rice and chicken until she was back to normal. Then it started again.. I took her to the vet with stool samples, had ultrasound done, blood work ..The whole nine.. She did have some parasites in her stool at that time so the vet gave her some drugs, bland diet for another week and she was doing great.. Started her back on her IAMS food and within a couple days.. same thing again..

I was shampooing carpets 4/5 times a day for 2 weeks straight.. We went back to the vet.. Stool sample was now fine.. Bod work was fine again.. Weight was down 3 lbs.. Still couldn't figure out what was making her so ill. NEVER in a million years would I have thought that the food she has been eating for the past 4 years was NOW making her this ill.... I put her on a bland diet again (chicken and rice) for 2 weeks and she was back to normal again... I started adding her dog food (IAMS ADULT MINICHUNKS CHICKEN) back in at like clock work... diarrhea once again... I have thrown away almost an entire 20 lb bag of IAMS Minichunks Chicken because I fear this food will kill my baby girl if I continue feeding it to her!!!

I am making copies of the vet bills, food purchases and sending it all to IAMS along with heartfelt letter explaining how terrible it would have been if I lost my baby girl... I feel for those of you who have lost your fur babies to this dog food.. My heart goes out to you all.... PLEASE EVERYONE... if you are considering using IAMS DOG FOOD .... DON'T!!!! IT WILL KILL YOUR DOG!

Iams Dog Food Company Information