2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

BOTTOM LINE

Dog food recipes are made with animal protein from chicken, beef, lamb and turkey. Recipes contain whole grains and are supplemented with antioxidants, prebiotics and fiber. Find formulas for dogs in all stages of life.

PROS
  • Real animal protein
  • Added fibers and prebiotics
CONS
  • Previously recalled
  • Few grain-free options
Iams Dog Food Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Iams Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I bought Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food ONLY because they were out of his pure balance puppy food and he has been vomiting and diarrhea and lethargic. He has always been an energetic happy puppy but now he is too sick. He hasn’t been running around playing with his toys. I’m scared for my baby, I don’t like this.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Iams chicken minichunks in the green bag - DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR DOG. I have been feeding this to my dog for at least 6 months. Two weeks ago he started vomiting and having horrific, bloody, mucusy diarrhea. I took him to the emergency vet the next day. They did x-rays, blood tests, stool tests, and they saw nothing. They gave him an injection to rehydrate him. $1,000 dollars later we were sent home. They gave him antibiotics and recommended the "bland diet" of chicken and rice and he was all better.

We integrated the kibble back into his diet and at 4 am this morning I woke up to him panting and running around in circles which I (now) know means he is about to have diarrhea everywhere. Luckily I got him outside in time but he had violent diarrhea - so bad that he had blood dripping down his bottom. The same thing happened 3 hours later. Apparently, the blood is indicative of colon inflammation which is likely from food. I called the vet and they said to take him off the food immediately. My next stop is looking online for class action lawsuits or compensation. I cannot believe so many people have had the same miserable experience. I'm so glad my dog is ok, but this should not be on shelves. This food is going in the trash.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Charlie usually gets Pro Pac, but I was out and picked up a bag of Iams- the ingredients looked good. A couple of nights anything since then but biscuits ago he had to go out twice in the night and pooped once in the house, and had refused to eat anything since then but biscuits. I dumped out the Iams, got Pro Pac and he's gobbling it up. Looked on here and discovered Iams has some really bad reviews- some dogs have gotten seriously sick from it! I'm glad he was stubborn enough to refuse to eat it!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I have a 4 year old female White Swiss Shepherd that I thought I was going to lose just a few short weeks ago. I have had dogs my whole life.. I have always feed my dogs IAMS and never had any issues... until recently... it started a few months.. My dog has been eating IAMS Adult Minichunks Chicken Flavor for 4 years... a few months ago she became very ill and was throwing up and had severe diarrhea. This went on for over a week.. I started feeding her rice and chicken until she was back to normal. Then it started again.. I took her to the vet with stool samples, had ultrasound done, blood work ..The whole nine.. She did have some parasites in her stool at that time so the vet gave her some drugs, bland diet for another week and she was doing great.. Started her back on her IAMS food and within a couple days.. same thing again..

I was shampooing carpets 4/5 times a day for 2 weeks straight.. We went back to the vet.. Stool sample was now fine.. Bod work was fine again.. Weight was down 3 lbs.. Still couldn't figure out what was making her so ill. NEVER in a million years would I have thought that the food she has been eating for the past 4 years was NOW making her this ill.... I put her on a bland diet again (chicken and rice) for 2 weeks and she was back to normal again... I started adding her dog food (IAMS ADULT MINICHUNKS CHICKEN) back in at like clock work... diarrhea once again... I have thrown away almost an entire 20 lb bag of IAMS Minichunks Chicken because I fear this food will kill my baby girl if I continue feeding it to her!!!

I am making copies of the vet bills, food purchases and sending it all to IAMS along with heartfelt letter explaining how terrible it would have been if I lost my baby girl... I feel for those of you who have lost your fur babies to this dog food.. My heart goes out to you all.... PLEASE EVERYONE... if you are considering using IAMS DOG FOOD .... DON'T!!!! IT WILL KILL YOUR DOG!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We gave this dog food to our dog Rex for breakfast and dinner and in the middle of the night he had severe diarrhea on the stairs. Same thing happened last night. The only thing different is his food.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I decided to try IAMS with my dogs, because the price was lower than other brands I usually purchase, but was told the nutrients etc. were comparable. Never again. My 4 yr old dog has never had issues with other foods, this gave him terrible diarrhea. Came home to more poo on the basement floor, than I thought physically possible for one animal. I feel absolutely terrible that I thought switching would be a good idea, and this was the result. Clearly paying a little more is much more worth it.

Original review: May 15, 2020

We purchased Iams thinking it was a good brand. After the second meal my dog started shaking, panting excessively, vomiting and had diarrhea. We thought she'd just eaten something revolting on her walk. The following day we tested her stomach and gave her chicken and rice. She was fine. The day after that we fed her Iams again, and again she was shaking, panting and this time was passing fresh liquid blood in fairly large amounts. She was extremely distressed and in obvious abdominal pain.We have now changed her food to a cheaper brand she has had before and she is back to her normal bouncy self. I truly think if we had continued with Iams it would have killed our dog.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have two small Yorkie mix dogs, and recently switched them to what I thought was a better grade of food. I put them on Iams Small Bites, and they both got very ill, with diarrhea and vomiting. It was a couple days before I realized it was their new food, I gave them chicken and rice to settle their stomachs and took them off of the Iams. This food is very dangerous for your pets. It should be recalled at the very least.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Absolute disgusting. I am so upset to read the other poor owners and their animals that have had to go through this ordeal too. My chihuahua has been on IAMS for his whole life 7 years AND when we opened the chicken and rice small bag the other day we found a Congealed piece of what it looked like food and infected food inside our dog's food. We use a container to keep the food fresh so after week of feeding my dog this three times a day we got down to this contaminated piece and now we've paid the price.

…****Six vets trips in total now since 16-01-2020. A very unwell pet, antibiotic injections three times now. Tons of hills id dog food. 2 lots of blood tests. Ultrasounds and xrays now on the cards because my beloved animal has been poisoned. I had no issue at all with Iams but now you've made us all super stressed anxious and upset for two weeks solid of my dog been unwell everyday.

Side effects:

Nausea
    Sickness and DIARRHEA
    Acting strange behaviour
    Blood in stool

Chest on floor, bum in air, tail under bottom (painful and uncomfortable dog)

SO never again IAMS. Thanks for causing me and my family upset and our dog pain. Still today he has been up the vets again as they are giving him Anti sickness, antibiotics and specialised blood testing. Lucky for us money compares nothing to the love of our beloved family pet however I am absolutely disgusted to see others having this issue. How upsetting, heartbreaking and stressful. C. **

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

We have had our dog on the large breed, ProActive Health (green bag) for 5 years with no problems. He is now 9, so we thought we would move to the senior/mature formula. We started this about two months ago. Immediately when we started to mix a little in with his current food, his stool started getting softer. We also got a new foster/adopt pupper at the same time, so we thought it may have had something to do with stress or just the additional treats he was getting. His stool got softer as we mixed in more of mature formula.

Once we had him fully transitioned after about a month of gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old, he had a couple of nights where he either woke us up to go outside, or if he couldn't wake us, pooped on the bathroom floor. It was very runny and sickly looking. After three nights of this, we immediately switched him back to his old formula. His stool improved right away, with no more late night accidents. We now have him back on the green bag IAMS, though after reading some of the reviews here, I think we may be changing that, too.

Iams Dog Food Company Information