Iams Dog Food
3.71/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have 3 Bull Mastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree.

My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a brindle and they can be probe to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications. Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet.

I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have had dogs for at least 40 years. I’ve always used Iams and have never had to see a vet for any reason but routine care. My dogs have always liked the flavor and I have never had to supplement it with any wet food. My local food store carries it and is very price competitive with dog food chains. I realize no grain food is popular, but I believe it is not the best choice.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: April 10, 2019

We have been using Iams brand for years now. There has been several times I would buy something else just because of commercial or packaging and thought it might be fun for him try. NOPE and No way would he have it. We always went right back to Iams. More importantly, the quality of ingredients are exceptional. Thank you.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Iams Dog Food comes in several flavors for different stages of growth and health of your canine. If switching from one type to another it is best to mix them from the original to the new flavor, gradually increasing the new flavor until the old one is replaced. There have been no digestive issues with multiple dogs or breeds and we have had purebreds and mixed breeds.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My dogs have eaten Iams for over 15 yrs and most people tell me that my dog looks like she is 6 yrs old. I contribute this to Iams, keep up the good work. My dogs Cockers love it. They are spunky and healthy, to people that are starting out on Iams do not settle for other dog foods that have constant recalls due to bad food. Settle for one of the best Iams, also if switching from one food to another you have to give it time and yes your pup will go through some extra potty stops due to change but once your dog eats this food he or she may live to be one of the oldest dogs of their breed as mine will hopefully live till she is 22 yrs old. TY Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I just started giving my dog Iams chicken (green bag) a few months ago. I noticed she was getting constipation/diarrhea. I thought she just had a sensitive stomach. It kept getting worse where I had to be standing outside with my dog for hours for her to have diarrhea and vomit. She lost lots of weight and being lethargic within a week and wouldn't drink any water. I started feeding her chicken and rice for about 5 days and she is already looking fuller and normal. So, Thanks for making my dog so sick. It was hard seeing her go through that... Also wtf are you putting in this food.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

So this is my experience. I have two dogs one young Great Dane and a 7 year old pitbull. They both have ended up with severe diarrhea. Uncontrollable diarrhea. Not just one day of it but a whole week of shampooing carpets and cleaning out kennels along with unstoppable trips outside to use the bathroom. It has been a nightmare. At first I thought maybe a stomach flu caught them but nope. I ended up making a huge batch of chicken and rice to feed them for 4 days which made them back to normal. But when I gradually started mixing the dog food back in guess what.... Diarrhea has struck once again. Confirming it is in fact this dog food causing it. I am extremely upset with the fact that this is happening and seeing everyone else's reviews showing we are not the only ones experiencing this. We buy the green bag of Iams.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

After our dog randomly kept throwing up and had diarrhea in the house after years of being house trained, we decided to look up reviews on the food we just switched to a couple weeks ago, Iams adult mini chunks chicken. At first it looked like great reviews until I scrolled down. A LOT of people from this year were saying that their dogs had the same problems just randomly and some dogs even passed away. We will be fasting our dog tomorrow and switching her back to normal food. We have a fresh bag we haven’t opened yet. Normally I would sell it or give it to someone who needs it, but I WILL NOT let another fur baby eat this food.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We've been feeding Iams mini chunks since our dogs turned 1. Never had any issues. All 4 of my dogs got sick, seemingly suddenly. The 3rd one to show signs of illness died within 24 hours of symptoms. Low calcium, acidic, low temp (cold to touch), no urine in bladder and kidney failure. The other 3 are vomiting bile, lethargy, and loss of appetite. We were told at the Vets, that it presents like ethylene glycol poisoning. Couldn't prove, no urine for a sample to test for calcium oxalate. Has anyone else had any similar situations??? We are devastated here. I feel helpless and hopeless.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I want to know what is going on with Iams dog food. I normally buy Pedigree or Rachel Ray for my dog. This day the store was out of both so I bought Iams chicken mini chunks. He ate it the next day and was fine. The next day he had diarrhea. I thought maybe he ate something else that made him sick (in the yard). Next day more diarrhea and he hadn’t been in the yard alone. Worried that something is wrong with the dog food. Put it in the trash and got Rachel Ray. Next day back to normal. Something is up. Look at the other reviews here for Iams with the same issues.

Iams Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and today is one of the world's best-known pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information