Iams Dog Food
1.52/5
Based on 134 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

758 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

Purchased Iams Mini Chunks for ProActive Health for our dogs. We've been purchasing Iams for years. However the mini chunks caused both dogs to have loose watery stools until we realized it was the dog food. We had to change to another dog food in order to get them back to themselves. Very disappointed. We have 3 quarters of a bag of dog food left and concerned to give it to another dog for fear of them too having watery stools.

Original review: July 15, 2018

After reading these reviews I honestly think this is what has been making my 9 year old sick. She’s had loose to running stool a few days now. It all started after buying a new bag of food. I buy the purple large breed for older dogs. She’s been on Iams since 8 weeks. No issues until about a couple months ago. This time is much worse. Luckily she still acts fine but every bowel is worse. I’m taking her off this since it’s poisoning her! How is this still in stores & there hasn’t been a recall?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 27, 2018

I recently had to buy a different brand of dog food after the store was out of the normal Beneful, I fed her. I chose the more expensive Iams green Healthy Bites, being cautious to not get anything that could make her sick, given the recent food recalls. She ate it just fine for about two weeks, 1 cup in the morning and one in the evening, when I got home from work one evening I noticed she had not finished her morning food, this NEVER happens as she is quick to eat it up in minutes, immediately I knew something was wrong so I went out and bought her some of her regular brand food.

After eating just half of that bowl that evening I knew something bad was going on, I took her outside and she threw up the new food I had just bought, unable to keep anything down, I then started thinking of any bowels out of the ordinary since eating the Iams, and they were regular but very dark and smelly, and on this last day when she threw up it had been soft almost runny...and she became very lethargic and hiding in the closet, and not wanting to come out, this is a playful dog, not at all the norm.

The next morning I took her into the vet, as I noticed others posting as well, all her labs came back clear but her temp had risen to 103 degrees, I mentioned all the feedback on this site to my vet, most certain after reading these reviews that this was another case of BAD food, two days and slowly recovering she is still at the vet, but please, I caught it early with symptoms, and googling these warnings, please quit feeding your dog IAMS before it's too late, and never introduce it back into their diet when you get them back home...this stuff is NO GOOD!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Fed my dog Iams since birth 10 years. Last 3 years my dog started barfing once a day starting not feeling well. Thought old age is coming. Then out of nowhere she got lethargic. Rushed her in and she had severe stomach's bacteria. After surgery to clean her tummy and months of antibiotics. Living on cooked chicken mash she was a puppy again. Thinking all is well started feeding her Iams adult (green bag) dog food again few weeks ago and again it started. More mash antibiotic. I changed to many other brands. With trial and error discovered she can't eat grain fillers no more. Developed food allergies. Checking Iams past ingredients to now. They changed it right at time she started not acting normal. 3 years I poisoned my dog and thousands of dollars later. I thought I was feeding my dog premium food when premium is just another fancy misleading word dog food bags are using. Stay away. Educate yourself on all the new language they will say to make you think it's good food.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My sweet Papillion passed away recently unexpectedly. She suffered greatly before it dawned on me that she may have been poisoned. The last couple of days she hid in my closet to sleep. Before I suspected anything was wrong on Saturday night she collapsed in the front room and could not use her front legs. Recently moved, I did not know after hour clinics in the area. She seemed to be in no pain. I thought that things would improve after reading on the internet. I put her in my Master Bath by my bed so that I could monitor her. By the middle of the night she was in agony when I got up to check on her. She was trying to get up by walking on back legs while dragging her head and front end on the floor.

She threw up slime and dog food many times. Then the bowels came with frightening red clots of blood. By Sunday morning I had found an after hour vet to see her. She was in a state of complete paralysis at this time and only had slight blinking. The vet said that when they bleed like that with her symptoms it is usually a poisoning. I promised Minnie that if she survived by that morning I would not let her suffer another minute. The vet put her down for me. The next couple of days my remaining Yorkie had stopped eating her Iams Proactive Health Minichunks. I thought that she was just grieving the loss of MinnieMeg. She cried constantly but still could be at my side at all times.

About a week after the death I realized that I had not had to add any food to her bowl. I purchased some canned food to top off her Iams. She would eat a little of the can food and spit out any Iams that was attached. I thought that I would look up the food on the internet that they had both eaten and found this site of consumer complaints of this dog food and how others had passed on it with bleeding and all the other symptoms. Now I am convinced that this food may have been tainted since many others had the same experience. I would like to know why this food has not been recalled with all these experiences. My dog was 13 years old and had many more loving years to live. I am sick about this and if my story helps another dog owner, it is worth it to write about it. I pray that my Yorkie doesn't suffer the same in the days to come.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: May 26, 2018

We switched my dog Iams large breed about 4 months ago because the vet recommended it over what he was eating previously. He started losing interest in eating but I figured he was becoming more sated. We just bought our 4th bag and this time we bought the bag from Sam's Club and got a large bag. Within a few days he stopped eating and would refuse the food until the end of the day. Thursday he wouldn't touch it at all. He finally ate yesterday morning after I left for work. He vomited all over my bed! More than just his morning's feeding. Plus many spots where he must have ran out of chunks and only vomited liquid. Poor doggy was sick all day while we were at work (our mattress is ruined since it soaked in it all day). We took him to the vet and his exam was fine, the vet said the food was probably bad and gave us a prescription gastro food to help him feel better. I am returning the bag to Sam's club asap.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We rescued our pit bull about 2 1/2 -3 yrs ago and not only was he underweight but they were feeding him gravy train. He has diarrhea real bad and kept getting yeast infections in his ears. We then switched him to Dad's and then about 3 other dog foods. He was still having the same symptoms. One of our friends told us about Iams and said that their dog does great in it. We decided to try it because not only did their dogs have the same symptoms but they had pit bulls also. Within 2 weeks of our boy on the Iams I noticed a change altogether with him.

No more diarrhea but he no longer was getting hives on his skin and no more yeast infections. Within a month he had gained 10 pounds and just seemed happier. He went from weighing 50 pounds to weighing 74.2 pounds and healthy as a horse. I tell everyone of my friends that own a pit bull and are having issues like Spanky did to try Iams. Everyone of my friends that have switched have told me THANK You! I will now be switching my 3 cats to Iams.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have been struggling with my dog having diarrhea and vomiting the last week. I obviously thought it was the new allergy medicine he started since that was the only thing that had changed. I started him on chicken and rice this weekend. No dog food and he seemed to instantly improve. After a few days of this I decided to mix a little dog food back in with his rice. My husband and I came home from work to a bunch of blood plus several other piles of vomit.

After a trip to the emergency vet they couldn’t find anything wrong in his blood work but he clearly was sick. When I got home I realized the only other thing it could be was his dog food, I bought a new bag the same time he started his meds. I looked to see if there were any recalls and unfortunately there has not been any yet. After reading all the recent reviews on here my suspicions were confirmed about it being his IAMS. There is clearly something wrong with the recent bags they’ve produced this May! We have to get a recall on this before more dogs get sick and pass!

Original review: May 24, 2018

First, besides losing a child there is nothing more painful than losing a beloved animal no matter the reason. I have had four dogs that have been fed IAMS, (2 Aussies, and my Doxie and my Chihuahua/Corgi). My first Aussie (rescue) lived to be 13, and died from lung cancer, my second only lived until 6 1/2 because of a genetic heart condition.

My first Aussie ate IAMS for the nine years we had him, and our second from the time he was eight weeks old. My Doxie is a rescue, and has been eating IAMS for twelve years and my eighteen year old, who I rescued when she was fifteen, has been eating IAMS since she came home over three years ago. It's hard to determine what caused the illnesses and deaths of these babies. Is it possible that the food had been contaminated some way? I only read a few of the #1 reviews and they seemed to be close in date. But that could be just a coincidence. I highly recommend IAMS, because I have had great success with it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I use Iams for small or toy breeds. I have been using Iams dog food for years, about 2 weeks ago, my Shih Tzu got uncontrollable diarrhea, it was so bad that while he walked his was basically pouring out. He seemed to sleep more than usual and just seemed sick and not himself. I stopped feeding him the food and started giving him chicken, pumpkin and rice. His diarrhea went away. So I fed him his Iams since he was feeling better and a few hours later he had diarrhea again. Since I wasn't sure if it was the food I gave him his chicken dinner and his stool was back to normal. I mixed his chicken dinner with the Iams and he got diarrhea again. I truly hope that if there was a recall you informed your customers because I would hate to find out this customer is deceiving its customers. Now that he's back on his chicken dinner I hope his stool goes back to normal.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I’ve just read about other dog owners with sick dogs. I recently started a new bag of Iams and my Golden came down with terrible diarrhea and vomiting. Just started him back on the food and my other dog got into it and now she has diarrhea. Is this recalled? Already have a hefty vet bill for one dog.

Original review: May 18, 2018

On May 12, 2018, my 1 1/2 year old yellow Lab “Ruger”, started having diarrhea, vomiting and became very lethargic. Not normal diarrhea either. It shot straight out like a hose and was nothing but water. I will note that on May 4, 2018 (just 1 week prior), Ruger was seen by his vet for his routine annual checkup and was deemed an extremely healthy 93 lb Lab. Now fast forward a week, on May 13, 2018, Ruger began drooling out both sides his mouth and trembling terribly. So at 10:30 pm my husband and I rushed Ruger to the nearest animal 24 hour ER, an hour and 15 minutes away. Ruger had a fever of 105.9. The vet said 105.9 is extremely dangerous and 106 is deadly so he wanted to keep Ruger overnight and give him fluids and keep an eye on him all night.

His blood test showed his liver panel was high. They began giving him 4 different medications. 24 hours later we were able to bring Ruger home but had to continue giving him the meds and try to ease him back into eating with boiled hamburger and rice. It took 1 week for Ruger to start acting better. He continued throwing up for several days after coming home. Just last night, May 17th, we agreed that he is just now finally acting himself again, as far as behavior goes. He is still underweight and we are still easing him back into eating dog food.

During that time, we noticed that our 5 year old Cairn Terrier, Remi, had stopped eating for us and instead pushed bowl across the room and tried to spill it and bury it every time we fed him. We began questioning the IAMS Mini Chunks because prior to switching them to IAMS last month, they were both very eager eaters. That’s when I began researching and discovered many others have experienced this same issue. We now feed our dogs Nutro and I refuse to ever feed them IAMS ever again. Something needs to be done! We almost lost our baby that night and we still struggle with knowing he was poisoned by us feeding him IAMS. Dogs know. They could sense something was wrong with that food. Please do not feed your dogs IAMS and be vigilant of their eating and behavior. If it seems off, look into it right away!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have a 15 yr old Husky mix. I have feed her IAMS food all her life. I switched her over to the IAMS Proactive Health Senior Plus (small kibble) thinking I was doing something that would help her in her senior years. Since November we have been having issues with Diarrhea and throwing up. She has went from a healthy 85 lbs to maybe 45-50 lbs now. I have had her at the vet multiple times but they cannot find anything wrong. After thinking about what has changed and trying to figure out what it could be I came across this forum... I am so sad to think that I have been feeding my dog food that is making her sick. I am going to throw away what I have left and just feed her boiled chicken and rice in hopes to bring her back to normal. I will be contacting IAMS to find out what they are going to do with all of these complaints. Is the food contaminated? Why is there so many people having the same issues and nothing being done?

Original review: May 17, 2018

This past Monday I came home from work and what was once a 5 y/o healthy black lab was lying in my yard deceased. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever been a part of. I was unsure of what caused his untimely death, until the following evening: Tuesday May 15th. My wife and I had come home from dinner after the long 24 hours that we had. Well we have two other dogs and they are both Mini Aussies, usually our Aussies roam the house while we are gone and don't have any accidents or any behavioral issues, except for the past week or so our dogs have both had diarrhea, so the dogs were in their cage. We unlocked the door and immediately smelled the foul stench that all pet owners know and dread when they open the door, the dogs had vomited and had diarrhea all in their cage to where they were both covered in the mixture of the two.

After washing the dogs I let them outside to use the bathroom and my smaller mini Aussie was defecating and throwing up at the same time and the other Aussie had diarrhea so bad that she was bleeding from her anus. So at this point I'm wondering if it could've been the food that caused my Labs untimely death and start googling when I come across this site and realize that several other pet owners have had the same issues that I have had the past couple of days including death of their loved ones. I contacted Iams today and after explaining everything that had occurred in the past 72 hours the woman on the phone Kindly offered me my money back for my $30 bag of dog food. I then proceeded to lost my composure at the thought of their food possibly causing my dog's death was only equivalent to a free 30lb bag of dog food.

I told the nice woman that I wasn't sure what was good enough or what was acceptable for them to do for my loss but I'm not interested in a free bag of dog food. I really would like them to be aware and for other pet owners to be aware that this food is out there and at the very least is making dogs very sick. (I should mention all three of my dogs have been fed Iams pro-life mini chunks for the past three years). I want everyone that is experiencing even the slightest scare with their dogs eating Iams to call the company and complain. The woman on the phone said that there hasn’t been a trend to make them think that their dog food is contaminated or an endangerment to your loved ones. I know you guys are out there so please please call and let’s get a recall on this food and prevent anyone else from experiencing the heartache that I have this week. 1-800-675-3849.

Original review: May 14, 2018

My 3 dogs have eaten Iams green bag adult dog food since pups. (11 years) Just got a fresh new bag 4 days ago from Petsmart. The dogs all got sick with puking and diarrhea. I am so mad! But I am glad I realized the issue Asap. I called Iams to complain and suggest others call too! 800-675-3849.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs IAMS Dog Food for years with no problems. I purchase the huge bags at Sam's Club. The last two weeks my big dog Delilah has had diarrhea twice. The first time I just thought it was nothing and blew it off. Fed her boiled chicken until it went away. Put her back on the IAMS. Then yesterday she had the same issue again. Now I’m feeding her the boiled chicken and taking her permanently off the IAMS especially after reading other dogs are having the same issue. I’ve always paid more for IAMS for the quality and because they claim it’s better for the dogs. Also along the two bouts of diarrhea, our dog never ate all of her food in her dish with this bag of IAMS, which is not like her and she also didn’t have the same energy. Reading the other comments they describe the same symptoms our Delilah has. It’s sad that these companies cut corners on quality at the expense of the health of our dogs, our most loyal and best friend.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have a 12 year old Beagle & 10 year old English Springer Spaniel. They have been on Iams sensitive/healthy naturals ocean fish recipe for about 4 years and always did well on it. I was on autoship from petco.com. On March 31 I opened a new bag & both dogs became immediately sick vomiting, having diarrhea that quickly turned into bloody diarrhea within a few days. My poor Beagle began pooping straight blood (no poop, just blood). I rushed them to the vet who did blood work & fecal tests & both pups had negative results, healthy dogs. The vet said it's their kibble & to stop it.

I had already stopped the kibble when they got sick & started them on bland diet (chicken & rice). But they were still sick & continued to get worse. The vet diagnosed them with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, which is fatal for dogs if left untreated. He said the inflammation/infection would have continued until they saw him & were prescribed medications. The first round of meds only worked while they were on them. Once the meds stopped the symptoms returned. They were on meds for the entire month of April. They have been off the meds for about a week now & so far the vomiting & diarrhea have not returned. They are not 100% normal yet. They are still on a chicken & rice diet for now. Total vet bills are $1100 to date plus time lost from work & life to care for 2 sick dogs plus plus plus.

I called Iams to make a complaint. I was told someone from their health & safety team would contact me to work things out with my vet; of course my phone never rang. They did send me a check for a whopping $32 for the cost of food with a letter saying sorry for the inconvenience. It's sad to be devoted customers for several years & Iams genuinely doesn't give a crap about their customers or our pets. They should be sued for making our dogs sick & their poisoned food should be taken off pet supply stores shelves forever.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This is very disconcerting. We brought home a healthy dog 2.5 weeks ago. She was eating Victor brand but we started weaning her off that onto IAMS Big Breed Puppy food. For the past week and a half she's had very bad diarrhea. I wouldn't have thought anything about it until hearing other IAMS users were experiencing the same thing. We're going back to VICTOR.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We have used Iams before it became widely available. We have raised all our dogs on Iams, and each and everyone greatly outlasted normal lifespans. We have one small, one that is now 18 years old and still going strong.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I begin feeding my 12-year-old male dog Iams Senior 2 months ago thinking I was giving him a better food at his age. I didn't notice -- probably because of his age that he was becoming less active and of recent, lethargic, limping, loss of strength in his back legs and then on Friday, May 4, begin high-stepping and acting like he was having neurological issues. It was so bad that the next day before we took him to the vet we were prepared to put him down. The vet could not find anything wrong with him and we thought it was just arthritis and age that was creating this issue.

He was having problems with constipation with the Iams food so I started to switch him back to his old food with more fiber just before his decline in health. From Friday to Sunday I had him switched back to his old food. Sunday morning when we woke up he was acting more like himself. By Sunday afternoon after having his breakfast of his new food he was actually running around outside with no issues to his hind legs or limping. This morning I heard a noise at 5 AM and he had broken through the gate and was heading upstairs to find me. This was a dog that could not hold himself up to days before, fell down when he tried to go to the bathroom, could not balance at all and did not want to get up.

Since I switched him to his new food he is now acting more like himself that he has over the last couple of months. I have to think that the Senior food was the cause of his illness/decline in health. I have a puppy on Iams Large Breed Puppy Food and will be switching him from that when he returns from the trainer next week. I will never feed Iams again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have bought Iams for many years. Our 3-year-old has been eating it since she was a year old. This past bag, not good. She became sick. Diarrhea, throwing up foam and clear liquid, no appetite, tired, didn't want to play or anything. There is only one thing that she did that could have caused this, eat Iams. She has not had anything else that could have caused it. I took her to the vet after 5 days of terrible runny diarrhea, and vomiting, and very sickly and racked my brain over what could have caused this. Came to the conclusion after her stool was checked that it has to be the food. She had no worms in her stool and no other illnesses. It's like she was poisoned. And it's just me and her nobody to poison her. And I don't take any medication like some people I read drop and dog eats. Not in my case. There is nothing she could have eaten, just her food.

She is healthy as a horse normally. I will not be feeding her anymore Iams. It was great for years, but not this past batch. She's not out of the woods yet. I thought we were going to lose her. She lost 2.5 pounds in less than a week. Which is about 25 to 30 pounds for a human. Since she is a Chihuahua, I have researched and found out. Please take this food off the shelves. It is dangerous to dogs. I'm not a one-time case. There is over 800 on another website. Over 118 cases in past few weeks' time. And that's just the people who took the time to put a very helpful comment/review/complaint, up to help others who feed this food to their loved pets. There is no telling how many pets have suffered from this food eating their stomachs up on the inside. Vet prescribed 2 different meds for her and changed her food. Week 2 and she is better and stools are harder. Hoping and praying for the best.

Please watch your pets closely and if you are feeding them Iams in green bag. Please stop. My bag was purchased in FL, April, 2018 from Publix. I opened it recently. I poured it out in big bucket to look through it thinking maybe there was some dead rat or other dead animal in it or something. Nothing. Looks normal but, IT'S NOT NORMAL. IT POISON... At least my bag was, and over 800 on another site. Not counting the unreported cases. Not just FL. Other states as well.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We had Iams recommended by our vet as well as our breeder... Our two collies, Dusty and Misty, are very vibrant and healthy and the product is priced reasonably. I usually purchase the product at a wholesale club such as BJ's.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Recently bought a bag of Iams MiniChunk dog food for my dog. My dog is 13 and has been eating this food for the last 10 years. I have a small dog and usually purchase a small bag. The store only had the very large bag 20 lbs. My poor dog has had diarrhea for the last 24 hours. Non-stop. Had no idea this food could make him so sick. Not sure if it is because of the packaging, but I will be returning it to the store today and never giving it to him again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

IAMS Healthy Naturals Weight Chicken Flavored Dry Dog Food is the Dog Food we have been feeding our Beagle starting in January 2018 till now. But today I am throwing away his unfinished bag! Dogs cannot talk to you about what they are eating. They trust in you that you will feed them something they will love and that won't make them sick. Our Beagle at first would eat his Iams Dog food, but as time went on, he stopped eating out of his bowl altogether, just only when he was hungry and didn't have anything better to eat. He would smell it, and then walk away. Beagles have such a good sense of smell, that this should be telling you something right? Bless his little heart. He had some of the same symptoms: Drinking lots of water all day, getting sick on the carpet, licking my hands for salt, etc... Please get rid of your Iams Dogfood. Our dogs don't deserve this!

Original review: April 24, 2018

I opened a new bag of Iams Minichunks dry dog food this morning and after eating just 1/3 cup of it my dog has vomited five times in the past few hours. What is going on? It has to be something in the food. She has never vomited in the whole two years we've had her. I began looking on-line for reviews and recalls on Iams foods. I'm amazed! Here I'm finding all kinds of recent reviews concerning this food and sick dogs. What is in this food? I will never feed her Iams again. I just hope I caught it soon enough.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My dog suddenly started getting sick at the end of March... We usually don’t buy Iams, but we bought a small bag due to store being out of his normal dog food, and over $1000 in vet bills. I am sorry I did. My dog started limping and developed swelling on his leg and diarrhea - after x-rays, blood work, and 3 vet visits we have narrowed it down to IAMS. We actually thought maybe it was our regular dog food, so we threw that out and bought IAMS again (at the time we hadn’t put two and two together because he had such a small amount before - and it completely slipped my mind he had even ate IAMS before he was sick). He finally started eating again (had him on chicken and rice) and was seeming to be getting better so we mixed his soft food along with IAMS and he is back to how he was before the $1000 vet bill. Something is clearly wrong with this food and I hope I can find out what that is with testing of the actual food.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My 8 year old lab Bodie died yesterday morning unexpectedly. 2 weeks ago he was healthy and today he is no longer with us. We recently purchased Iams dog food because we thought we were upgrading his food. Little did we know we purchased food that we feel caused his death. He began having leg weakness one day to where he could hardly walk. Days later we noticed him being lethargic followed with vomiting and diarrhea. He got to the point where he would not touch his dog food. Took him to the vet this past Tuesday. He was running a fever, had severely low blood counts and an enlarged spleen. We let the vet keep Bodie overnight to monitor him. He stayed with the vet Wed. Night as well.

Got a call early Thursday morning that our beloved Bodie died. I couldn't understand why or how. Decided to google if Iams caused spleen issues, which led me to this website. I am sick to my stomach with all the reviews of Iams dog food. It disgusts me that there has been NO recall! I have thrown out the remaining Iams that I had and pray that my other dogs do not get sick. I plan to take them for routine bloodwork to make sure they were not affected by this toxic brand. Please do not feed your pets IAMS!!

Original review: April 15, 2018

The Iams Dry Chicken Puppy Food gave our female Shepherd mix diarrhea and throwing up. Gave her stomach problems that made us take her to her veterinarian who had no idea what was wrong with this very healthy puppy. My wife and I changed Bailey’s food to Purina Beef Puppy Chow and things have never been better. Screw Iams Dog Food, it makes dog sick.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Iams Proactive Health - Large Breed - My black lab has experienced most of the symptoms that others have wrote about here -- vomiting & bloody diarrhea. The vet said it was caused by both an Upper & Lower GI Infection. She was seen by the vet on March 30, 2018. Stopped food, gave bland diet of boiled chicken & white rice plus oatmeal for a binder (per her vet) plus a handful of meds. Took her 10 days to recoup! Monday, April 9, 2018, we reintroduces the Iams & on Weds, April 11, 2018 the vomiting returned that morning & the bloody stools returned. I stopped the Iams on Weds. Started her back on the bland diet & the vet recommended we stay with that for a few days & then slowly introduce Science Diet. I contacted Mars Pet Care (the maker of Iams) on April 12, 2018. They are only offering a refund of the cost of the food, no mention of our 214$ vet bill. Today, April 13, 2018 I filed a complaint with the FDA!

Original review: April 13, 2018

We have a 4 month old Great Pyrenees puppy that has had terrible smelling poop. Just recently she started having loose stools and they have gotten worse. She is having diarrhea throughout my whole house. She has been on this Large Breed Puppy Food for about 2 months and things just started to get worse with her digestive track. She is going to the vet tomorrow morning. I have noticed several dog parents describing similar experiences. I thought I was feeding my puppy a good food, apparently I was mistaken. This company needs to be investigated as to why so many dogs are becoming sick. If there was a recall on this food, stores should not have it on their shelves and selling the product.

Iams Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and today is one of the world's best-known pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

• Best for: Puppies, senior dogs, active dogs and dogs with special health needs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information