Iams Dog Food
1.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 95 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

703 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My old Shepherd avoids his dry dog food... just ate a bowl full after out to play and ride in car and do errands with me and started licking everything. I Googled his behavior which is a sign of tummy ache so I gave him a piece of white bread good if maybe something stuck In bowl and some plain yogurt and activist and swallowed ok but wanted to eat grass from outside in snow now acts better... maybe God's plan to find this web page. My dogs don't like Iams too much but this after one bowl... I am gonna have to find a dry that is heavier. I try to cook and do healthy snacks of cooked meats and veggies and tried raw but could not get stools stable. Not sure what to do as so much else is worst than Iams and Blue.

They turn noses away and gives diarrhea and some can of dog food do the same diarrhea. I think there is just no quality management or detection of bad spoiled batches. Whatever the cost I just need want some "Cheerios" i.e. Basic food for my dog friends whom we have made helpless and dependent on us to survive. I spied shots and flea/heart pills when my healthy happy young beagle died within weeks from lymphoma. Could have been round up I used years before but likely not as every time he took flea heart pills he was weak lethargic...

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have been feeding my 10 year old Yorkie Iams Proactive Adult for years. About a month ago, after opening a new bag of multi-colored Iams proactive, he became lethargic and was defecating bloody stool. I took him to the vet, she put him on a special diet for a week and he seemed to get better. I then put him back on the Iams mature adult. He became lethargic once again, had trouble coming in from outside; coming up one step, had muscle weakness, a distended tummy and once again, bloody diarrhea. He had labored breathing and passed away in my arms on the morning of December 31, 2017. We are shocked and devastated, as prior to eating this dog food, he was perfectly healthy and we expected him to live many more healthy years. I am so sad at his loss. PLEASE, IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG, DO NOT FEED HIM/HER IAMS. Don't take the chance. This has happened too often with the Iams product to be a coincidence.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My 2 previously healthy dogs are currently fighting for their lives. After reading some of these other reviews I now am convinced it is their Iams Dog Food. They started vomiting and diarrhea. After deteriorating rapidly we took them to the vet. One was diagnosed with pancreatitis and the other one has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. We purchased this bag of dog food in early/mid December. We are filing a complaint with the FDA.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Bought new bag of Iams food. It was a new design in Dec 2017. My dog started vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten this for some time. Didn't think anything about food. Two trips to vet. Second visit she had to stay two nights. $180 first visit $333 second visit. She been good for a week. She been eating prescription food for two weeks. Today started feeding her Iams again. She vomited shortly after. Went online to look at Iams reviews. I wish I had look before I bought. My little baby was so sick!!! Not to mention all the money!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Iams Large Breed - I’m concerned after reading these comments. I came searching for information as our dog began to vomit over the weekend. Every time I increase her feeding back to normal amount she has vomited. She’s eaten this same product for three years, but the vomiting correlates with a new bag of the food. I am changing her food tomorrow!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

It is with a broken, heavy heart that I write that my dog, Chewbacca, is dead. He was my friend, my constant companion, and now he is gone. I have always known my dog to be healthy, energetic, and spunky. He was always alert and ready to play. The only time he ever needed to go to the vet was for checkups and his routine shots. That is, until recently. A few weeks ago, I began giving him dog food from a new 30 lb. bag of IAMS Proactive Health Mini Chunks two tone kibble. A week and a half later, he became violently sick. He began breathing very heavily and seemed as though he was choking or couldn't catch his breath directly after eating his meals. He would vomit and then poop all at the same time. He became lethargic and looked scared.

When he wasn't experiencing these symptoms, I noticed that he would constantly lick his paws, which I thought was strange and out of character for him. My first thought was that he had eaten something and his body was trying to get rid of it. I thought perhaps he was having an allergic reaction? I never fed him people food and the only change I had made in his diet was opening a new bag of IAMS Proactive Health Mini Chunks two tone kibble.

After he had another episode like the first, I knew this was more than a fluke and I took him off the dog food. I began looking into this particular line of IAMS Dog Food. I wanted to see if any other dogs were experiencing the same symptoms as my dog after eating the IAMS Dog Food. While looking up reviews online, I was horrified to find that hundreds of other families' dogs were experiencing the exact same symptoms and more! Because I was so worried about the health of my dog, I brought him in to be checked by the vet. The vet checked his heart and lungs and was unable to give me a diagnosis, so I brought my dog home. Within another week's time, my dog was dead.

Following my dog's passing, I've researched this dog food even more. IAMS had changed their recipe and something was and still is horribly wrong with it. Why is this dog food still on the shelves?!? I had always thought IAMS was a reputable company. They have advertised with "satisfaction 100% or your money back..." Are they able to bring my dog back? My dog is dead! This dog food needs to be removed from the shelves immediately and tested to find out why so many dogs are getting violently sick and some dying! It is illegal to sell contaminated food!!! Why is IAMS being so negligent, after there have been so many complaints, in not making sure their food is not tainted in any way? They should be recalling this food.

If your dog is getting sick after eating the IAMS Food, please contact the FDA and the USDA and most importantly call IAMS and let them know. Hang onto the dog food and the bag's bar code, lot number, and expiration date so that it can be tested. The bar code on the bag I have is: 0 1901470071 4. The expiration date is: Feb. 09 2019. The lot number is: 741F 20HL 02 04:56.

I ask the IAMS company (owned by Mars, Inc.): How many more dogs are going to become violently sick and die before you take responsibility and accountability for what you are doing to our fur babies? There is something horribly wrong with this food and it needs to be recalled and tested! I wish I would have known sooner, so that I could have switched my dog's food. Now I live with the knowledge that I gave my dog Chewbacca this food, a food that ultimately took his life. I will never ever buy another IAMS product again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Our 10 year old GSP (Sasha) is dead and it appears to only have taken a half a bag of Iams dog food to get it done. We decided to switch dog food on December 10, 2017 and chose Iams because we thought it would be a better dog food for Sasha and our 7 month old GSP puppy. After only a couple of days feeding Iams Sasha got sick and vomited all over our bedroom. On Christmas eve she got violently ill, unable to stand and barely able to breathe. This lasted a few hours until she finally was able to stand. She then vomited all the Iams food up that she had been fed several hours earlier. It was all whole and undigested. She managed to go outside to relieve herself and when she did it was red and blood soaked. We got her to the vet as soon as possible, she was put on antibiotics and had blood-work done. She was a little better for a day then once again she got so sick, falling over, breathing real shallow and so close to death and suffering.

Sasha managed once again to avoid death and slowly get somewhat better. The next morning after feeding Iams to our puppy (KC-Wee) a few hours later she started vomiting and became very weak. It was then that we figured out it had to be the Iams dog food. After Googling we found this site and seeing others having the same issues we immediately stopped feeding Iams, but it was too late for Sasha. That night once again she got so sick and died on the couch in my husband's arms. KC has been getting better slowly and all we did was take the Iams away. Like the others have said it was the light and dark brown dog food We called Iams and they told us they had not had any other complaints. After reading everything here that was obviously a lie. This has been so terrible losing our Sasha. We do not want anyone else to go through this. If you love your dog please stop feeding Iams. You don't want to live this nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Today (January 4th) I switched my dog from Beneful to IAMS (blue bag, the one with the bulldog on it) and my pitbull mix has only eaten a little less than a cup mixed with his old food. He has been very itchy in his ears and scratched till one ear bled just slightly. He has had two poops that were much softer than normal, almost "creamy" for lack of better words. He is currently in bed with me, lying here with a fever and breathing a little oddly but that's probably due to the soreness in his ears. Very disappointed, IAMS. Based on my experience, and others' much worse experience you should not have that veterinary seal. I can only hope this is simply bad batch and you can bounce back from this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

We purchased a bag of this food in late December. We were fostering a stray which immediately experienced diarrhea. We didn't think much about but then our dogs began to experience vomiting and diarrhea too. It's been about a week now and they are progressively getting worse. I decided to look online for a food recall and found all these reviews and now I am really scared. I've stopped feeding them the Iams and called Iams consumer relations. Everybody should call Iams if their dog is experiencing the same reactions to the Iams Minichunks. This shouldn't be happening to other dogs.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Both of my dogs have been eating the green bag Iams for over a year. On Dec 30 I bought a new bag. The kibble was smaller and the feed was two different color. Today on Jan 1 both of my dog have started to throw up. Both are acting like they don’t feel well and lethargic. Not happy! I will not be feeding them any anymore Iams products.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

My 4.5 poodle has been eating Iams for 9 years and now after noticing a change in the packaging and looks of food she started vomiting all her food up. She has been having seizures also. Took her to the vet and said that she seems healthy. This all started when Iams changed their product.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I switched to Iams dog food for two of my dogs and on the second bag, bought early December 2017, they became deathly ill. One woke me up as was sleeping with us on the 18th, about to vomit. I got her to the bathroom floor where she vomited then fell over. She could not move and was barely breathing. She was defecating but had no ability to push or move. Blood poured from her rectum. I helped her as though she was dying and emptying her system. I held her and prayed then got her to vet. She was in liver failure and put on meds and fluids. The vet was not sure she would make it. Then the next night my other terrier started vomiting and vomited 6 times then was weak and violently trembling... She had not eaten as much of the Iams. She is a very smart Jack Russell and had not been eating this food. She would actually turn her nose up at it and my husband kept picking it up.

He was out of town this day and left the food on the floor in her bowl. When I got home she had not eaten so I crated her with the food and she finally ate. Then became sick that night. The other dog was at the vet fighting for her life. They have pulled through with an expensive vet bill and hopefully will be ok. This is too coincidental to not be the food. Our other older lab on different food is fine. The vet said could have been the food. I don't know if was a bad batch but have called the store and Iams. I just don't want any dogs to die from this so beware! Also, if your dog has these symptoms please take to vet immediately. After reading these reviews I see too many deaths over last few months like this.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We started last week when one of our dogs (Kelpie) got severe diarrhea. Pooped all over the living room floor in the very early morning. We had to take her outside every hour. Finally she got better after about 4 days. We attributed it to maybe she ate something outside as I let her run for a bit the day before. She seldom gets this chance and hasn't since this incident. Now this morning both dogs have the runs. After reading the reviews I went and looked at the food we feed them and sure enough exactly as the other folks. Two colored food. Don't buy this food. My wife wants Iams to pay for the cleaning of our carpets and I agree. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Been a IAMS dog food customer for years with the Purple Bag of Iams Proactive Mature. Picked up bag December 22nd. Noticed the bag style was changed, still same color and main label. First noticed that there are 2 different color morsels in this bag. After dog ate, he developed severe diarrhea and vomiting. At first, I thought it was something else. He liked the food. But his diarrhea continued and he lost control making many runny messes. Was out of town at the time, researched today and noticed others are having the same problem. Left a message at IAMS corporate... so glad I found the information on this site and now it all makes sense. Still a little ill, hope he will get better now I have discovered this problem. The bag and label will look the same to most everyone... not note on the bag that the recipe changed or mention of two different color pieces. (one dark brown, one medium brown).

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Our healthy dog has died. Our other dog suffered extreme scratching all the time since opening a bag of Iams with 2 colors kibble. Neither dog ever seen scratching in their lives. We have never had fleas either. They had been fed Iams since about 2 or 3 years old. One died at age 9 after mush for stools, vomiting, and drinking tons of water going outside every two hours. Excessive drinking stopped. We thought it was due to his eating some mulch stuff on a walk and that he had a toxic reaction thereby causing the excessive drinking of water. Excessive drinking stopped after a week or so and then he wouldn't eat kibble (to which we always added pressure cooked, bones finger soft). Went down from there until he died in our arms.

Not sure it was entirely the Iams but we do think it had a lot to do with it. We stopped the Iams for both dogs then, and after a couple of weeks the living dog has stopped scratching completely. We feed her something else, obviously. Would not recommend Iams under any circumstance since our experience at least partially mimics that of quite a few others reporting here. I did call Iams and they will not offer much information about their food only that in August 2017 they added a "natural caramel color".

When I asked what that was they said it was sugar & carbohydrate. When I asked how much in a cup of kibble or in a 30lb sack, they said that was proprietary information. I have always been informed that sugar is not good for dogs but person on phone would not comment about that. Our experience started in September when we opened the bag that was packaged in August. That part was confirmed per Iams by the numbers on bag. Don't take a chance with Iams for your dog. There are too many other foods to choose from. I did not want to give any star rating but am forced to give one.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have recently tried Iams Proactive Health with my fussy fussy Spring Rocker (cross between Sprocker Springer). At first she wasn't keen but soon started to eat it. The handy guide and measure scoop is brilliant. After the first week was in she definitely seemed to be enjoying all about Iams. The size of the food is great as not massive but plenty of crunch which helps her teeth. I have now changed over to Iams and I have to say there is no waste. I measure it out and she eats it all. Her coat looks lovely and she seems to be more content. I would recommend.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Iams makes an excellent dry dog food for the money spent. Being dogs are carnivores I am not sure and most pet food research does not make claims that dogs should not eat any grain and vets agree. There are nutrients and nourishment in grain that is needed for complete good health. They state the grain should Not be the primary ingredient in their food. As time passes those companies who promote a TOTAL grain free product sooner or later makes a grain product but with limitations to the grain used and volume. With the exception of just a few Purina products have become the most unhealthy product for your dog since P&G took them over. They provide a product that most consumers can afford is why it sells so well, NOT because it is healthy for your dog. Beneful is one of the highest recalled dog food on the market. So for $10 more per 25 lb bag I give my dog Iams with my vet's approval.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

We had 2 dogs. The dog food my big dog ate had been discontinued so we bought him Iams 2.5 weeks ago. Within a day my dog was so sick. He puked up all his food and had diarrhea. My little dog eats Cesar food so she wasn’t sick at all. Unfortunately she ate some of my other dog's puke as I was trying to clean it all up. Later both dogs were fine. I crated them both at night together like I always have done. The next morning when I went to feed them, my little dog didn’t get up. She was DEAD.

I immediately took my big guy to the ER vet to make sure he was going to be ok. It didn’t make sense. He was the sick one, yet my poor Angel died. The only thing found with Bear my big dog was a temperature. The vet figured it was stress due to the other dog passing so suddenly and maybe he sensed it coming so he got sick. We opted to get a necropsy because it didn’t make sense. Angel was 10 and in perfect health. This past Saturday Bear got sick again. Same as 2 weeks ago. His food looked like Cocoa Puffs in his puke.

After researching, we’ve come to realize Iams is responsible for the death of my Angel. Thank God we caught it in time before Bear died. We put him on a chicken and rice diet and he’s back to his old self. He was really lethargic and sick from Iams. This product needs to be removed off the shelves. I would like to do a class action lawsuit like the other reviewers have spoken about. It won’t bring my Angel back but they need to pay for all the emotional suffering that was caused unnecessarily by their food poisoning dogs.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Last night I had a very scary experience. My 8 yr old Chihuahua has been eating IAMS mini chunks all her life. I opened a new bag on Thursday and saw that the chunks were 2 different colors, that was different. She got very ill in the middle of the night. I didn't know this until morning when I woke to find her messes everywhere. Then last night, about an hour after eating, she started shaking and her front legs were sticking straight out when I picked her up. She couldn't walk straight and then vomited up her entire dinner.

I called emergency vet line and waited for them to call me back. She asked to go out and proceeded to poop all over the yard as she struggled to walk and then finally laid down in the grass and didn't get up. I bagged up some of her vomit and another bag of the new food. I had my suspicions that this might be the cause. The vet called back and told me it sounded like an allergic reaction. By this time she was laying on the couch, drooling and chewing her feet. Today I threw the food out and googled IAMS mini chunks and found this!!! WTH? Why isn't IAMS recalling this food??? I told the clerk at Petco about this and purchased a small bag of Nutro. I will call my vet tomorrow to let them know just in case others come in with similar issues as my dog. I am beyond angry but glad I found this page. I hope my little baby doesn't have any long time effects from this incident.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Hard to find in store, mail order availability only, food well tolerated by two large dogs (95 and 85 lbs). Found IAMS Sr. on Chewy and order online regularly.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

When we adopted our dog from kennel they said she had best success with Iams. But we tried some food we had left over from our other dog and her stools were very loose. Went to the Iams and never had another problem!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My dogs are particular and enjoy Iams. I buy the adult which has the vitamins they need as older doggies. They are 11 and 12 year old Chihuahuas and have always had Iams for their entire lives. I inherited them from an elderly woman who passed on and just absolutely LOVE them and feeding them Iams canned and hard food as well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Our precious Bernese Mountain Dog, Sophie, enjoys her IAMS each and every day. We feel good feeding her this brand because it has all of the nutrients that her system needs. Nothing but the best for our fierce and lovable Sophie!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I use Iams Pate wet food as a supplement to dry food for my rescue Chihuahua. She was less than a pound when we rescued her. She has gained almost a pound but still is a bit too thin.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have always trusted and used Iams for a long time with my pets, the ingredients are always pure and natural with no corn and just vegetables and poultry. No by-products.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I switched from Pedigree to Iams about two weeks ago. About two weeks after I bought the Iams Mini Chunks three of my five dogs got sick. Vomiting, bloody stool, not eating and lethargic. The first two were a Mini Dachshund and a Yorkipoo. They were very sick. Then our 12 year old Lab started having seizures, couldn’t walk, throwing up, not eating, lethargic and very sick that he going to make it. We nursed them all back to health. My daughter switched at the same time and one of her five dogs has been vomiting and has bloody stool. That’s four dogs out of ten so far that have gotten sick. We bought the food in two different places sometime in October. I am hard to convince but now I have seen it really happen. Don’t take a chance, don’t buy it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Iams Dog Food is reasonably priced and healthy for her. It is small pieces for her to eat and she eats it with a little mayo. She's been on it 2 years. The higher priced dog foods I can't afford and Wal-Mart don't sell it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We have served our dogs Iams for over forty years (four standard poodles in sequence). They all lived their fully expected lifetimes. 12 to 13 yrs. Energetic athletes, mentally stable and intelligent, and affectionate companions. And one has to attribute feeding Iams through the years to that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been feeding my dogs IAMS Mini Chunks for decades. Recently, about 6 weeks ago, my 7 y/o German Shepherd, Sebastian, has started having violent seizures. After countless and costly vet visits and medications, we were told that Iams has changed their formula and to change his diet. We did and now we must wait and see. Sadly, Sebastian must endure these violent attacks. The attacks are so horrific and traumatizing. I wouldn't wish this on any fur-baby. Please check with your vet, before it's too late.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have used Iams since 2000, for 3 different dogs. I spent 2 years working at Iams headquarters and main plant and gained 1st hand knowledge of their processes and ingredients, research and mission. It is a good value and easy to find at major pet retailers.

Iams Dog Food Company Information

Iams Pet Foods
    800-675-3849
    www.iams.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use