Iams Dog Food
3.72/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

801 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have 3 Bull Mastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree.

My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a brindle and they can be probe to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications. Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet.

I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have had dogs for at least 40 years. I’ve always used Iams and have never had to see a vet for any reason but routine care. My dogs have always liked the flavor and I have never had to supplement it with any wet food. My local food store carries it and is very price competitive with dog food chains. I realize no grain food is popular, but I believe it is not the best choice.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We have been using Iams brand for years now. There has been several times I would buy something else just because of commercial or packaging and thought it might be fun for him try. NOPE and No way would he have it. We always went right back to Iams. More importantly, the quality of ingredients are exceptional. Thank you.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Iams Dog Food comes in several flavors for different stages of growth and health of your canine. If switching from one type to another it is best to mix them from the original to the new flavor, gradually increasing the new flavor until the old one is replaced. There have been no digestive issues with multiple dogs or breeds and we have had purebreds and mixed breeds.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My dogs have eaten Iams for over 15 yrs and most people tell me that my dog looks like she is 6 yrs old. I contribute this to Iams, keep up the good work. My dogs Cockers love it. They are spunky and healthy, to people that are starting out on Iams do not settle for other dog foods that have constant recalls due to bad food. Settle for one of the best Iams, also if switching from one food to another you have to give it time and yes your pup will go through some extra potty stops due to change but once your dog eats this food he or she may live to be one of the oldest dogs of their breed as mine will hopefully live till she is 22 yrs old. TY Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I want to know what is going on with Iams dog food. I normally buy Pedigree or Rachel Ray for my dog. This day the store was out of both so I bought Iams chicken mini chunks. He ate it the next day and was fine. The next day he had diarrhea. I thought maybe he ate something else that made him sick (in the yard). Next day more diarrhea and he hadn’t been in the yard alone. Worried that something is wrong with the dog food. Put it in the trash and got Rachel Ray. Next day back to normal. Something is up. Look at the other reviews here for Iams with the same issues.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Our dog a Kasha a cockapoo, has been eating Iams chicken mini chunks for several years, we noticed a while back that Kasha started licking her paws all the time and drinking lots of water. Kasha would vomit after eating from time to time. We just thought she was eating to fast at times causing her to vomit. We noticed the color change of the dog food as well.

Over the last two weeks Kasha has been vomiting after eating and throughout the day. We took her to the vets and they did test and exam, gave Kasha a IV and a med to stop vomiting for 24 hours. We had to fast Kasha for 12 hours. Then we were told to feed her bland chicken and rice for first day and then if no vomiting start introducing her normal dog food gradually. So after Kasha being on bland diet she did not vomit again, seemed better. On the third day put only a few chunks of Iams dog food in her chicken and rice, after eating she started licking her paws, did not connect the licking to the dog food, so later that day increased Iams dog food to a 25% dog food and 75% chicken and rice. Kasha started drinking more water than normal and licking her paws. Next morning increased Iams mini chunks to a 50%/50% ratio. Right after Kasha eating within minutes 3 big piles of vomit!

The only change made since going to vets was the chicken and rice mix, which by itself Kasha was doing better, until reintroducing her Iams dog food. I suspected the Iams dog food then, but after coming here and reading comment after comment, I now know the Iams is what is making her so sick! This dog food should not be on the store shelves, so many horror stories of dogs being violently sick and dying! I am praying I stopped feeding Kasha this poison in time. As other posters have said the ADA needs to do something now before more dogs are sick and die! Our Kasha is not just a dog. She is our family, our four legged daughter, it breaks our hearts to see her sick! Kasha just turned 5 years old. Hopefully she will have a long life ahead of her.

My prayers and heart goes out to all whose dogs are sick or have died, this could have been avoided if Iams would be honest and take this poison they are selling as dog food off the shelves. We have spent so far $300.00 in vet bills, and Iams dog food big bag just bought is in the garbage, where it belongs! So if you are reading this please don't feed your dog Iams dog food. If you do you are putting your dogs health and life at risk!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We have bought Iams dry dog food for several years. With this last bag of dog food both our German Shepherd and Pomapoo now have diarrhea. We know it's the food because we discontinued it for a few days and their stools returned to normal but upon returning them to Iams they have diarrhea again. Obviously there is something different or wrong with the product and we need to discontinue its use. We aren't the only ones complaining I see.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Our 15 yr. old Doberman has bad diarrhea after eating this dog food. Hopefully feeding him chicken and rice stops it and I will never feed IAMS to him ever again!! Don't know really what is in it... but whatever it is... isn't good! PLEASE DON'T FEED YOUR DOG ANY IAMS DOG FOOD OR YOU MAY LOSE THEM TO PROFUSE DIARRHEA!!

Original review: July 7, 2019

Do not order this dog food, $1500 in vet bills. I have been ordering Iams puppy through Amazon for over a year. I received this order about 2 weeks ago and within a day my dog became ill. She continued to get worse, throwing up and becoming lethargic. I finally took her to the vet, she had 105-degree fever and was put on an IV. Since it was Saturday we were then sent to the emergency vet for an ultrasound but they found nothing. During the last week, she became stronger and by Friday she looked like she was doing well. I gave her Iams again and for the first time in a week, she felt well enough to eat it. Within a few hours, she vomited it all up and is not doing well again. This food looked different, a darker color than it usually is. I will never buy dog food through Amazon again.

Iams Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and today is one of the world's best-known pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information