2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5
Based on 1,148 ratings

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

After our dog randomly kept throwing up and had diarrhea in the house after years of being house trained, we decided to look up reviews on the food we just switched to a couple weeks ago, Iams adult mini chunks chicken. At first it looked like great reviews until I scrolled down. A LOT of people from this year were saying that their dogs had the same problems just randomly and some dogs even passed away. We will be fasting our dog tomorrow and switching her back to normal food. We have a fresh bag we haven’t opened yet. Normally I would sell it or give it to someone who needs it, but I WILL NOT let another fur baby eat this food.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We've been feeding Iams mini chunks since our dogs turned 1. Never had any issues. All 4 of my dogs got sick, seemingly suddenly. The 3rd one to show signs of illness died within 24 hours of symptoms. Low calcium, acidic, low temp (cold to touch), no urine in bladder and kidney failure. The other 3 are vomiting bile, lethargy, and loss of appetite. We were told at the Vets, that it presents like ethylene glycol poisoning. Couldn't prove, no urine for a sample to test for calcium oxalate. Has anyone else had any similar situations??? We are devastated here. I feel helpless and hopeless.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I want to know what is going on with Iams dog food. I normally buy Pedigree or Rachel Ray for my dog. This day the store was out of both so I bought Iams chicken mini chunks. He ate it the next day and was fine. The next day he had diarrhea. I thought maybe he ate something else that made him sick (in the yard). Next day more diarrhea and he hadn’t been in the yard alone. Worried that something is wrong with the dog food. Put it in the trash and got Rachel Ray. Next day back to normal. Something is up. Look at the other reviews here for Iams with the same issues.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Our dog a Kasha a cockapoo, has been eating Iams chicken mini chunks for several years, we noticed a while back that Kasha started licking her paws all the time and drinking lots of water. Kasha would vomit after eating from time to time. We just thought she was eating to fast at times causing her to vomit. We noticed the color change of the dog food as well.

Over the last two weeks Kasha has been vomiting after eating and throughout the day. We took her to the vets and they did test and exam, gave Kasha a IV and a med to stop vomiting for 24 hours. We had to fast Kasha for 12 hours. Then we were told to feed her bland chicken and rice for first day and then if no vomiting start introducing her normal dog food gradually. So after Kasha being on bland diet she did not vomit again, seemed better. On the third day put only a few chunks of Iams dog food in her chicken and rice, after eating she started licking her paws, did not connect the licking to the dog food, so later that day increased Iams dog food to a 25% dog food and 75% chicken and rice. Kasha started drinking more water than normal and licking her paws. Next morning increased Iams mini chunks to a 50%/50% ratio. Right after Kasha eating within minutes 3 big piles of vomit!

The only change made since going to vets was the chicken and rice mix, which by itself Kasha was doing better, until reintroducing her Iams dog food. I suspected the Iams dog food then, but after coming here and reading comment after comment, I now know the Iams is what is making her so sick! This dog food should not be on the store shelves, so many horror stories of dogs being violently sick and dying! I am praying I stopped feeding Kasha this poison in time. As other posters have said the ADA needs to do something now before more dogs are sick and die! Our Kasha is not just a dog. She is our family, our four legged daughter, it breaks our hearts to see her sick! Kasha just turned 5 years old. Hopefully she will have a long life ahead of her.

My prayers and heart goes out to all whose dogs are sick or have died, this could have been avoided if Iams would be honest and take this poison they are selling as dog food off the shelves. We have spent so far $300.00 in vet bills, and Iams dog food big bag just bought is in the garbage, where it belongs! So if you are reading this please don't feed your dog Iams dog food. If you do you are putting your dogs health and life at risk!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We have bought Iams dry dog food for several years. With this last bag of dog food both our German Shepherd and Pomapoo now have diarrhea. We know it's the food because we discontinued it for a few days and their stools returned to normal but upon returning them to Iams they have diarrhea again. Obviously there is something different or wrong with the product and we need to discontinue its use. We aren't the only ones complaining I see.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: July 27, 2019

Our 15 yr. old Doberman has bad diarrhea after eating this dog food. Hopefully feeding him chicken and rice stops it and I will never feed IAMS to him ever again!! Don't know really what is in it... but whatever it is... isn't good! PLEASE DON'T FEED YOUR DOG ANY IAMS DOG FOOD OR YOU MAY LOSE THEM TO PROFUSE DIARRHEA!!

Original review: July 7, 2019

Do not order this dog food, $1500 in vet bills. I have been ordering Iams puppy through Amazon for over a year. I received this order about 2 weeks ago and within a day my dog became ill. She continued to get worse, throwing up and becoming lethargic. I finally took her to the vet, she had 105-degree fever and was put on an IV. Since it was Saturday we were then sent to the emergency vet for an ultrasound but they found nothing. During the last week, she became stronger and by Friday she looked like she was doing well. I gave her Iams again and for the first time in a week, she felt well enough to eat it. Within a few hours, she vomited it all up and is not doing well again. This food looked different, a darker color than it usually is. I will never buy dog food through Amazon again.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have 3 Bull Mastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree.

My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a brindle and they can be probe to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications. Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet.

I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I purchased Iams small breed dog food on May 25th 2019. By the second time I fed this dog food to my dachshund and my Corgi, my dachshund begin to show signs of distress. I was awakened by her vomiting and severe bloody diarrhea around 3:30 a.m. and by 9 a.m. that morning she was lying in her bed very lethargic. I carried her to the vet. She was dehydrated, severe diarrhea and vomiting. She spent the rest of that day and the next day getting IV fluids and medications. I was very lucky she did not die.

The next day my Corgi started showing the same signs as my dachshund. I started giving her medication prescribed by my vet. She has been very sick with the bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I write this post to warn other pet owners not to purchase Iams dog food. I don't know how this dog food is made but something is toxic to pets. I had to spend $587 in vet bills. I feel like the Iams company should reimburse me for that bill. Plus the purchase at the dog food.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I bought the green bag of IAMS because I heard it was so great for dogs. Couldn’t understand why for 3 weeks my dogs have had terrible diarrhea ... Nonstop for 3 solid weeks. Will never buy IAMS again. It’s the food causing the sickness. I am changing back to the “cheaper” food that kept my dogs poo firm. I want my money back for the huge bag of food I bought, and the money I spent on a brand new area rug because they couldn’t hold themselves from this garbage poison you claim is so amazing. Don’t buy IAMS.

Iams Dog Food Company Information